2.62/5

972 LG TV Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Had the TV 1 month before it broke. LG sends an "authorized service center" to repair the TV. They have been to my home 6 times and attempted the repair twice and it’s still broken and now it’s scratched due to the technician scratching it during the install of the part. It is now 2 months after initial contact with LG and my TV is still broken. I have contacted them today and they are now saying that the "authorized service center" is responsible and that I need to go after them. This is the most ridiculous statement I have ever heard. I did not contract his person, they did. And now I have to pursue them and possibly take them to court? This is unacceptable. I will never own another LG product in my life and I suggest you don't either!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

I’ve been having issues with my LG TV since MAY. He has come 2 times to my house and both times he has failed to fix it so he wanted to take the TV home to “test” it so I agreed. Now mind you this is after several emails and calls that were unanswered because he thought I was rude. So he took my TV on a Thursday and tells me he will keep in touch with me on how things were going. Well that never happened. I contacted him several times with no reply then I finally get him on the phone after calling LG for the 3rd time. Made arrangements for him to drop off the TV at 7 am Saturday morning. Well he never showed up and he said he was having phone issues and I totally understand but it was frustrating.

I’ve called the police as well and then guess what HE BLOCKED MY NUMBER AND STILL HAD MY TV! So again I called LG and miraculously he finally responded and he made an arrangement to drop off the TV. This was happened on August 20th. Now it’s been a week and again it’s not working! I refuse to call him back but honestly now all I was is my money back but that will never happen! I have very text going back to may when this all started. PLEASE I WANT MY TV TO BE FIXED AND HE WON'T RESPOND TO US.

Get expert buying tips about TV Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I purchased a 42 inch plasma TV in 2015. The television worked fine for about 3 and half years, then it started shutting off and on intermittently. I called customer service. Now his service engineer is saying, "Your screen is gone. You have to buy new screen or new TV", what to do now? Please suggest. I have lost our money in 3 and half years. The TV is out of warranty, they have refused. Requesting to all buyer don't buy LG product. His life is just 3 yrs. PLEASE DO NOT BUY THIS LG PRODUCT.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

We purchased the LG TV a little over a week ago. It's a 65 inch LG and we've had nothing but problems with it and have given up trying to use LG support. The remote doesn't always work and has to be reset continually. The TV screen will suddenly go black when we're watching a program and/or trying to select a channel. We are taking the TV back to the store where we purchased it. I will never again by an LG TV. Had I done more research, I would have read all of the negative comments about reliability with the LG TVs. We'll be purchasing another brand.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I purchased a 60 inch plasma TV in 2013. The television worked fine for about 3 and half years, then it started shutting off and on intermittently. I looked online to find a solution, but it appears that this is a widespread problem with many of their TV sets. I called customer service numerous times in an effort for them to stand by their product and send someone out to repair it, but since the TV is out of warranty, they have refused. I escalated this matter up to the executive level, only to receive the same response. Based on the information I have received online, it appears that LG uses substandard parts in their units which in many cases cause frequent failure.

There are hundreds of complaints on their website and in forums all over the net, yet they refuse to offer their customers any compensation. This company seems to believe it to be acceptable for a product of this value to have a useful life of 1 to 5 years. Call me old school, but this is NOT ACCEPTABLE, and I will not accept their paltry offerings, and poor customer service. I will never purchase anything from LG again. That is a promise.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LG TV?

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I purchased a 65 inch LG Smart TV around Thanksgiving 2017 and it had internet connectivity issues. I got it repaired 2 times under warranty but nothing got better. LG has a rule that tv has to be repaired 3 times before I get refund. Now they are not honoring the refund or calling the technician. Every time I call they say they are trying to contact technician in our area and I would receive a call back in 72 hours. I never received a call. When I call they simply put me on hold and then hang up on me. They even got me to refund department once but the refund department rejected the refund saying it has to be repaired 3 times. So now it's a cycle going on: They will keep saying, "We will file a refund (internally)" and they will reject the application saying 3 repair rule and try to find technician and then they won't find a technician to file a refund again but they wouldn't end up repairing or refunding.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I purchased a 49 inch LG Smart TV in December and it stopped working in July. It is under a repair or replace warranty. I have contacted LG customer service 8 times and each time was told I would receive a call back in 72 hours. I never received a call. They stated that they cannot find a repair shop that services my area but that I am not entitled to a replacement because I haven't had it serviced! Catch 22. Now when I call they simply put me on hold and then hang up on me. They are clearly just not going to honor the warranty. I have filed a complaint with the attorney generals office. Beware of LG Customer Service. They lie!!!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I bought a LG 60inch Smart TV just under 4 yrs ago, plus the warranty. The TV had issues from the beginning. Sent to shop several times. I am not a big TV watcher and I travel with my job. Therefore it was not used a lot. About 2 months ago while home I noticed a white spot on the screen. I was not home long enough to get it handled at that time. I call about 2 weeks ago and a tech came out and said that LG does not correct the issue with the TV due to the cost of replacement part of $970 and they have a flat fee of way less. He called LG gave his verdict and told me that I would probably be screwed. Of course I was not please to hear that. But to my surprise my TV will be replaced with a new TV... Thank you very much LG and Cowboy Maloney's!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Purchased our 55 inch TV in January 17 from Curry’s. Until a few days ago it seemed perfectly ok, however whilst watching a movie it just shut down and displayed the LG life is good screen and the only operation the remote could do is to turn the tv off or on again. Googled the possible problems and it’s most likely the motherboard gone ** up. Contacted Curry’s in the hope they’d honour the 2 year EU guarantee and no but what they will do is charge us £95 to collect the TV and diagnose the fault, if it’s a manufacturing fault they’ll refund the £95. If it’s not we lose the £95 and they’ll quote to repair.

Being a tad skeptical that any company will be anything but truly honest when it means they could be out of pocket I’m guessing it’s likely to conveniently not be a manufacturer's fault but I’ll update in due course. Since this has occurred I’ve researched a little and it would seem that the larger screen LG TV’s are prone to breaking down early doors??? So beware if in the market for a big tv.

Original review: July 23, 2018

This TV was purchased during August 2011 and has held up very well over the almost past seven years. It is a LED TV, 42 inch, 1080P unit. Its screen size fits nicely in the room where we use it (it wasn't purchased specifically for this house) and its screen output is clear and crisp no matter what the outside weather is.

Original review: July 22, 2018

Bought a new LG 55 Inch TV on June12, 2018. Turned the TV on July 14th and had nothing. Screen would just flash. Called the LG tech help line and they walked me through a couple of things then said they would have to send someone to fix it but it is covered under a one year parts and labor warranty so no worries. I got a reference number from them on the phone and went in to check the status the next day but the number they gave me was invalid. Went online to request a repair, sent a copy of the receipt at that time. Got an email from them a week later stating they needed my receipt so I sent it again. Still have not heard from them. Website says they will respond in 48 hours, that was a week ago.

Original review: July 21, 2018

I bought an LG 42" TV at Best Buy last week. I set it up and it worked fine. I bought an attachment so I could stream Netflix, etc. The TV worked fine on Friday morning. I left the house and when I turned it on that afternoon, it looked as if the picture had shattered. No one was home, but presumably there was some sort of impact damage. I repeat. No one was home. How could this be?

I returned it to Best Buy, but because of this damage, they couldn't refund or replace. LG Customer Service wasn't any help either. Best Buy did give me a discount on a new TV, as well as extended warranty. I replaced the LG with a Samsung. I haven't taken it out of the box yet, but will do so later this afternoon. I am absolutely not thrilled by this, and while I would love to get a refund from LG, my guess is that's not gonna happen.

Original review: July 21, 2018

I had to have the WiFi board replaced 6 months after purchase. I had to go through many phone calls and emails before they believed me. They kept asking stupid questions like have I reset my WiFi etc.

Original review: July 20, 2018

This TV is built from quality electronics. They are not mass produced with a bottom line of profit. They set out to build the best TV that could be built. To make a name as the best. Sony did the same but priced themselves out of competition. LG has the best picture I've ever seen, and I use to inspect for Sony. The price is no more than other brands, but the quality is superior. Also, the clarity of the sound is clear even across the room with people talking in the foreground. The picture has adjustments at the push of a button. The controls work well without having to read the manual every time you want to adjust sound or picture.

The ease of connection to peripherals is outstanding. Several sizes to choose from and solid body and screen makes it easy to trust when moving from room to room, or home to home. A remote that fits in your hand like it was made for you. And a stand that can be removed easily so you can hang it on the wall or leave it on and it fits all sizes of tables. I have owned several different brands of TVs, but this brand LG, is by far my favorite.

Original review: July 13, 2018

The tv has a great picture, but there are times when the sound will just stop. I had to restart the tv several times for the sound to return. Twice the sound went out and had to be repaired to restore sound. And tv was repaired several times. I thought there should have been a recall on this tv.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I have been using this brand for a very long period of time, it has not given me reasons to regret I got it. It is beautiful in appearance and IRS screen colour is bright and beautiful. Even when the current is too low it still make use of it and when it's too high it did not blow. This brand is very strong inside and outside.

Original review: July 4, 2018

LG add to landfill like no tomorrow, all they are worried about is bottom line. The product will fail in a short period, the service centers are crap. They offer no service. Because they do not care about their products. They will not help you with a problem, and cannot even support a product rubber washer if it is more than 7 years old. A company that has lost it way, move to other brands will awake them.

Original review: July 2, 2018

We have had our LG LCD HDTV 54" for almost a decade. It has survived multiple cross county moves. To this day the picture is as crisp and blacks as deep as the day we purchased it. Our LG has performed and continues to perform at top notch level as our main television. I cannot say that about our last secondary television. I will definitely purchase LG again when the time comes!

Original review: June 23, 2018

Clarity is great as is the appearance. Hooked to surround sound and has very positive results. Better than the Toshiba I had. But don't put any pressure on the screen since it will cause defects in the screen. Clean with soft cloth only. Excellent television.

Original review: June 20, 2018

Everything about this TV is the opposite of smart. The remote is the most difficult to use. The OS is ridiculously slow and hard to access and modify. After being connected to the WiFi initially, it's arbitrarily decided that it doesn't want to connect no matter what I do. Spent four hours (yes seriously four hours) troubleshooting to no avail, and I'm no tech slouch. This is the worst purchase I have ever made in my LIFE! I will never buy an LG product... Ever.

Original review: June 16, 2018

We purchased an LG 49" 4k, smart tv just about 2 yrs ago, as of June 13th 2018 doesn't work. Screen went black, we tried everything, I spoke to LG, suggested I call for service. We have had two technicians in & they have both advised the light at the back of/in the tv has gone!!! So they can't fix it "in house". They have to take it to the shop, & right now 4-5 days to get it back. This sucks. Totally not a "happy camper" right now. 2 yrs old and it needs repair... this is absolutely not acceptable in my books. We thought we were buying a good quality tv, but obviously not, will never buy another LG flat screen.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Owning a LG TV is a great choice because you will get the best picture and sound with LG. Very nice performance. I really like LG products. Every LG product I've owned has performed very well.

Original review: June 7, 2018

4 months ago I purchased a 65 inch LG-4K TV, and I want to tell people what I wish someone had told me about LG TVs, which is that they are the most fragile product you will ever own. The TV had some nice qualities, such as good picture and easy to set up. Unfortunately, it is too fragile for anyone with pets or children. A woman came over to our house with her four year old child. He tossed a nerf ball to her, and missed, with the ball lightly grazing the screen of the TV. I did not worry about it, since such a blow would have done no harm to a window, mirror, or laptop screen. However, when I turned the TV on, I found a huge crack on the inside to the TV which rendered it unwatchable.

There was no visible damage to the exterior screen (which is light plastic, not glass) but the interior LED screen was destroyed. I am out $800 for the mistake of buying the most fragile TV I have ever heard of. Do not repeat my mistake. Do not buy an LG TV if you will ever have a child or animal in the same room as it, or if there is any possibility of someone bumping it or pressing hard against it. Also, do not buy it thinking that a warranty will cover accidents like this. I contacted LG to complain about the product quality, and they told me that any breakage due to physical damage -- even damage caused by a touch so light it should not break anything -- was my problem and not theirs.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I purchased a 55" LG TV in early February of 2018. On April 26th the TV developed horizontal lines that totally obscured all but the top six inches of the picture. I immediately called LG customer service and was told that their authorized repair facility would call me within the next 24 hours. It is now June 4th and I have called LG at least 6 times. Their "authorized repair facility" turns out to be a little electronics store in a strip center about 60 miles from my house. They obviously don't want to do warranty repairs that are that far from their facility. They never answer their phone, nor return any messages left on their answering service. I have asked LG to just replace the TV but they claim they need the 'ticket number' from the repair facility. I don't know what to do next but I may call a local TV station that gets satisfaction for people in this situation. Needless to say I won't be buying LG products anymore.

Original review: June 2, 2018

Have owned this set (49" LG LED TV) 2 years - do not get an excessive amount of use at all. Already the backlight has failed, rendering the TV useless. I go online to learn countless other LG TV owners report the exact same problem. BUYER BEWARE.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I have a LG 55 inch smart TV, 3D, 4000k resolution. Bought brand new and have had for over two years now and no problems. One of the best TV I have ever bought. Also a great looking TV, not very heavy and thin, great sound and picture. Will be buying a bigger one later as this LG brand is great.

Original review: May 30, 2018

We bought a TV that we believed would fit first our room size, but also the best quality for the price we could afford. LG has been a wonderful choice, with absolutely no issues to date.

Original review: May 15, 2018

Bought 2 Smart LG TVs on the same day. 2 years later both TVs broke. Same problems. Backlight and power supply inside the TVs blew. Both TVs were manufactured in the same month and serial numbers are a digit off. We contacted LG and after jumping through many hoops to provide proof of purchase it sounded like they were going to repair both TVs but just offered an extremely inflated price to repair them at our expense. We bought a Sony on the same day and it's running not a bother and has more hours use than the LGs. The LGs have very bad build quality. A TV should last more than 2 years. If you're going to get a TV then avoid these at all cost or it will cost you in the near future on repairs.

Original review: May 13, 2018

OLED Curved 55" LG TV. Quit working after 3 years. $1000 to repair through a 3rd party service since LG doesn't want to talk to its customers after 12 months. Also, expensive sound bar and headphones are worthless because TV quit working.

Original review: April 26, 2018

Brand new out of the box the 65" OLED panel was shorted out - the TV looked amazing in the store... Both picture quality and aesthetics of the TV. Just very unhappy about mine being damaged from the factory and having to wait now 12 days without being able to watch it.

LG TV expert review by ConsumerAffairs

A top-tier TV manufacturer, LG has steadily expanded into smart TVs. Today, the company offers several series of new technology, such as the 4K TVs, in sizes larger than 55 inches.

• Built-in sound systems: All models feature built-in speakers for excellent multi-channel and surround-sound technology to deliver a cinema-like experience.

• Smart technology: Many models provide built-in apps, allowing you to switch between programs and apps and quickly connect to external devices.

• Smart technology: The LED TV models have at least full 1080p resolution or higher to ensure the picture is crystal clear. In addition to that, automatic upscaling ensures that if a movie or show doesn't match your TV's resolution, the TV will enhance the content for you.

• IPS display: Models with IPS technology increase the viewing capacity of your screen, allowing you to get a great view no matter where you're sitting.

• 3D viewing: Watch 3D content without losing the 3D effects.

• Best for: Home-theater enthusiasts, movie and TV connoisseurs, bargain shoppers and researchers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs