LG TV

Compare TV Brands

Research top TV Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

My LG 47LN5700 lasted 2 years, then the screen went black. I called LG. They said that it is no longer under warranty. I then took it to an LG authorized repair center. They told me that they would have to replace the backlights and it would cost $234.00 to fix, I agreed to get it fixed and a week later I picked it up and watched TV for about 2 hrs. that night. The next day about 10 minutes after turning it on the screen went black again. I called the authorized repair center and was told to bring it back. They again fixed the problem, but about 4 months later the screen went black again. When I called the authorized repair center they told me that I would have to pay to get it fixed again because their repairs only come with a 30-day warranty.

I did some internet research and I found hundreds of other people with the same problem, faulty backlight LED's. This seem to be a huge problem with LG TV`s not only the 47LN5700. Everyone's LG TV's are failing and LG seem to be doing nothing about it. I cannot believe that a TV is only going to last 2 years. I will not spend another dime trying to fix this TV again and since LG is not standing behind their product my advice to anyone looking to buy a new TV is buy another brand. Don't waste your money on LG TV`s.

Called LG 3 times in the last 12 months about a popup that keeps showing up on my tv "new input device detected". I only have had my cable box connected to that tv. Bought the tv in July 2013. LG support sucks as if you read reviews on their tv it happens a lot, and they don't care. They will give you a number for a local place to look at it at your cost, as tv is out of warranty on a defect in their tv. Do not buy an LG tv. It is more like a GL tv. "Good luck" if it works.

I bought an LG 65 Inch OLED TV (65EF9500) in October of 2015. I did not get the extended warranty. In hindsight, obviously I should have gotten it. However, supposedly this was the best TV on the market. The cost was $5,000. After about a year and 6 months, I started getting about 20 small vertical blue lines on the left side of the TV. I called LG and told me to have a TV repair person to come out and diagnose which cost me $99. They said using Geek Squad was fine since there were no repair man they recommended close to me. They stated to call them back after the diagnostic to see what they can do. When I called them back, I spoke to a customer rep and a supervisor. They both told me there was nothing they can do except recommend repair services why I could comparison shop prices. Why did they want me to call them back?

You would think they would try to help out their customers considering the cost of the TV, etc. The cost to replace the panel is $2,800!!! I'm better offer buying another TV. LG can care less. LG made no effort to rectify this. LG is not a good company. They only care about $$$ and don't understand how to keep a long term customer. I was thinking about buying an LG refrigerator, but after this experience no way. Needless to say I will not be a repeat buyer. STAY AWAY FROM THEIR PRODUCTS. THEY WILL NOT STAND BY THEM. Buy Sony or Samsung.

We purchased an LG TV 65" two months ago. The screen went bad and we contacted LG for repair. The LG repair person came and he said it is a major problem and to contact LG for replacement TV. We contact LG and they said that they will not replace the TV and that we have to wait for the repair regardless how long it will take. They said it may take months to get the parts and we have to wait because they are back-ordered. This is unbelievable that we are at complete mercy of LG when and if they want to repair the TV. This is the first and last time we will ever buy LG products. Their customer service is horrible. Do not buy these product because the company does not stand behind it. They will give you the runaround until you give up.

LG you need to quit ripping off hard-working Americans with your crappy LCD TVs. If you can't build something to our standards or expectations keep your garbage in South Korea. My whole nightmare started at Conn's which is another nightmare story in its own. In 2014 I purchased a 70LB7100 70 inch LCD / 3D / Smart TV. Hey LG why do you state these TVs are smart? The TVs are far from smart and the idiots who design or build them are even worse. I paid $3000 for this boat anchor 3 years ago. 13 months from when I purchased it had the LCD screen just crack on its own. Internal cracked screen from heat. Hey LG have you ever seen DVD players or cable boxes, or any other electronics that tend to get warm or hot? I imagine you probably make some of those as well. Because the one thing that those players or boxes have in them to pull heat out of the unit are small blower fans.

Since the warranty is up and a month later this happens is just crazy. You people are a horrible company. Fans in your crap TVs will help with what happened to me. I 100% will be spreading the word on your company and the crap you people sell and rip others off with. Never will I purchase anything from South Korea or LG ever again. And next time I fly over or to Incheon International Airport I plan on bringing your trash that you sold me back to you and you should and can dispose of it in your trash. It's your garbage not ours. These corporate idiots need to be investigated and they need to be held accountable for their crap they are selling here in the US. I think they should be arrested as well. They need a serious class action lawsuit against them right away. Because if not they will continue selling crap to us hard-working Americans. WHOEVER READS THIS I HIGHLY RECOMMEND NOT PURCHASING ANYTHING FROM THESE CROOKS!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LG TV?

I purchased an LG TV which burned out during the warranty period. The service center LG contracted to do the work failed to show up for a month. After an inspection of the TV they never returned to complete the repair. It has now been three months with many calls to LG and they cannot or will not find a technician to complete the repair. They will not acknowledge responsibility for their contractor (who will no longer take calls from LG or me). I just want this piece of junk TV, which broke during the warranty period, fixed.

My LG 50 inch Plasma TV has died only after 3 years!!! These things are supposed to last 100,000 hrs. LG won't help but want to charge me to send a technician out to have a look. I have old tube tvs that are over 20 yrs old and they work perfectly... Will never purchase an LG product ever again.

My LG TV (43UH6100-UH) is not even a year old when the first oddity I experienced was being awoken to it turning on last night, which by the way, is pretty creepy. As I went to turn it off, I noticed that channels were automatically changing, creepy again. My second experience was this evening. I was able to watch tv for about an hour or so when I noticed the enter button would not work. I tried other buttons that worked, while a few more didn't. I tested the batteries and put new ones in and the remote worked except for those few buttons. I tried googling an answer but nothing worked, so I then contacted their customer service department. The representative was really no help at all. She told me to try a few things but nada.

She then told me that there was no way to troubleshoot the remote but since I had the tv less than a year, I could be sent a new one within 7-10 days. :( I am very disappointed in the fact that I am still paying for the tv, have had it less than a year, already experiencing problems, and LG's customer service is as poor as its product. When will companies start caring again about the honesty and integrity behind its products and its customers instead of taking people's hard earned money for their gain? I advise anyone not to buy or support the LG brand.

LG has the WORST customer service on the planet. PERIOD. They lie, tell you you do not have an active warranty when you in fact do, and cancel warranty repairs a week after they authorize them. I will NEVER buy another LG product again in my life. LG definitely stands for Load of Garbage.

Purchased a 36-inch HD TV with all the bells and whistles. At just less than 2 years the screen is dark and the audio works fine. That means most likely it is an LED failure or a capacitor. NO television should fail this way this soon. I see, from other complaints that this is a fairly common problem with LG. I purchased the extended warranty so am going to try to get them to make good on it. Not counting on much after reading other reviews. LG is not a cheap product so I certainly expected better. Will not ever buy LG again although after checking around I am discovering that customer service in the TV industry is nonexistent.

Very disappointed in this TV. I bought this 4 years ago at Costco. Now the screen has gone BLACK. I still have sound. I believe this should last longer than 4 years. All we are doing is filling up the land fill with garbage, obviously LG doesn't make things to last. NOT GOING TO BUY LG AGAIN.

NEW tv lasts 3 years, but HARDLY used. 2nd tv used very rarely. SO 3 years and MAIN BOARD FAILS. Crap. Telefix HILTON Adelaide CRAP SERVICE ZERO customer service... I ME had to ring 4 times after 10 days to ask for result of CHECK UP ($55 paid). THEY THEN decide to check it... more calls to get an Apology. THEN week later 4 MORE CALLS by me to ask what is up... they had said it would be ready 3 days. More dishonesty then finally 5 calls to get delivery sorted... these wankers are useless, said wait 4 MORE DAYS!!! But they want to get paid on the day!!! AVOID THEM.

I have bought a TV set LG 42-inch 42lb6230 led 3d on 5/3/2015. I am quite shocked that the nearly 2 years, we got several white spots appearing on the screen.

LG is a famous well-known brand and for me it is unacceptable to get this problem after only 2 years after purchase. The warranty is still valid and the representative in Mauritius Dragon Electronics is sending a technician to attend problem and I have to pay for the transport of the technician. I am still paying this TV under installment. I am not happy about the product.

I purchased an LG smart TV in January. Three weeks later the picture went out. I called LG to see if they could help me troubleshoot a technical issue because surely a three week old television would not be losing a picture. They said they would send someone out to look at the television. It has been two weeks and I have not heard from anyone. Attempted to return to the store where I purchased and they wanted to charge me a 20 percent restocking fee (I had thrown out the box 3 days earlier). Not sure what they were going to restock since the television was obviously a lemon. Problems may sometimes happen but a company's response to that problem is what means more to me. Will not purchase another LG product. Appears to be a piece of junk that they have not stood behind.

The help that I have received from their customer services has been non-existent. The TV broke down after 8 months and despite having registered my 12 month guarantee they refused to accept responsibility. l emailed them twice and rang twice the space of 4 days but despite promises to get back to me, they did not. Eventually got through to them but after looking at a photo that I had sent of the TV, they said it looked like accidental damage. In fact a spider-like crack had appeared overnight and having checked this on Google found that this is a manufacturing flaw with LG TVs. I now realize that LG stands for Load o' Garbage.

In less than 4 yrs my LG 55LW5600 TV stopped working. Main board went bad. Repair by LG would cost over $400 so I looked up online and baked the main board. It started working indicating some bad soldering issues with the board that gets fixed when heated. It stopped working again in a few weeks. This time I ordered a board from LG authorized parts vendor (Encompass). LG doesn't make these boards anymore but they are selling refurbished one. It's been over 2 months and the board seems to be always out of stock. No ETA given. So I paid $150 and bought a used board online. I got duped as it didn't work. $1700 on a TV that lasted less than 4 yrs and cannot be fixed at reasonable cost is ridiculous.

Before you spend your hard earned money on LG TV remember these things. LG won't acknowledge widespread problems and offer free/discounted fix. LG discontinues parts in less than 4 years so you cannot fix your TV and forced to buy a new one. LG doesn't keep their software up to date for more than two years. I couldn't use many apps on the "smart" LG TV after about 2 years, for example Amazon Prime. Most TV reviews that you find online are written immediately after purchase and that's why they are mostly positive. Instead, look for long term issues with LG TVs and you'll find tons of complaints that are out of proportion with other expensive brands. Stay away from LG.

Failing components early. 1st Television bought--3D TV, First month, Display Failure. They got the display changed. TV is still working now for 5 years. 2nd TV, again another LG TV. Power failure. I am a techie myself. I opened it and found a blown fuse. I replaced the fuse and it again blew up. So, I had to find component shorting it to ground. Found to be a FET regulator. So my TV is dead by 2 months before I get the replacement part. Morale of the Story. Don't buy LG--no matter how cheap they give them--It ain't worth the trouble.

I urge any/everyone looking to buy a TV NOT to buy Samsung. Not only was the quality poor, their customer service was an absolute joke. After having had my TV for less than 2 years, the picture went out (side note: I should have done my research right then-and-there, as it looks like this is a common occurrence among Samsung TVs). I called and spoke with customer service who first told me 'my warranty covered the damage plus parts and labor'. I proceeded to happy dance! In the next breath, she quickly changed her tune and told me it would cost $310 to buy a warranty. Wait. Huh? "You just said my warranty covered it." She was so hard to understand - and, quite frankly, frustrating – so I decided to sleep on it and call back the next morning.

The next day, I was unlucky enough to get an equally confusing and aggressive rep on the phone who just wanted my credit card information. He was not able to answer any of my questions and continued to repeat the same lines from his script, 'just give me your credit card information and we'll get a rep out to fix your TV'. FINE! I admit, that was a poor consumer decision but these CS reps are train to break you down, I swear! 5 days later, the day of my appointment, the LG technician called my cell phone and said he had to order a part for my [very standard] TV. Now mind you, I had taken the day off of work to accommodate their 'very convenient' appointment window of between noon and 5 pm. And now this guy tells me he needs a part and won't make his original appointment?! UGH!

Luckily for him, I had my guy stay home and deal with it the next day. According to him, the tech walked in, took 1 look at our TV and said, 'well, this part won't fix it. It'll be another $585 for another part. I tried to tell your girl but she wouldn’t listen'. That’s total bull, on so many levels! Consumers, you do the math... $310 for the 'warranty' + $585 for another 'mystery part' = I could buy a new g.d. TV! So, I'm out $310 PLUS had to buy a brand new [NON-LG!] TV. Spread the word - don't buy LG!!!

Have a 60 inch TV. The HDMI ports have died after 5 years and after doing research found out this was a very common problem for LG TVs made between 2011 and 2013 from what I have seen. Thus it was a manufacturer defect NO QUESTION. But LG says "too bad. So sad for you". Well that's fine. I have just ordered a new TV to replace the LG JUNK and can you guess what brand it is? Certainly not a LG. Screw me LG and I will do my best to let the world know what a useless company you are. Oh by the way I bought a new SAMSUNG TV my third now and LG will never exist in my vocabulary again and if I can help it in many other people too.

I received a brand new LG UHD 4k 65" tv for a wedding gift in December. The tv ranges from 1500-2000.00. It is already having issues with the screen and they are refusing to cover it because I do not have the receipt. I registered it online and it shows it is under warranty. There is no physical damage whatsoever and I have 3 other TVs that were cheaper and older and when they came across issues they sent someone out within 2-3 days. This is my best most expensive TV that is less than 3 months old already having issues. What should I do? This tv is 3 months new!!!

I bought a 4K LG Smart television. It was discounted. I now believe the reason why is because of outdated software. This television has very few apps on it that are free to use. And one particular app Pandora does not contain the codec that belongs in the app. I talked with customer service at LG and they said there was nothing they could do. I filed for a fix because the TV is under guarantee. I've never heard a word from anyone and it's been weeks. TV also has other problems with picture. A lot of blurring when a show starts. But something like putting a codec in an app is something that can be done in less than a minute. But evidently the company does not care and makes no effort to fix this very simple problem. I will never buy another LG television. And hhgregg as the seller has to know this model of television had to have problems. 49" UH6030.

Purchased my LG 43" ultra HD 4k TV in Nov. 16' and after 7 weeks I lost all video but had audio. I contacted LG customer service and they put me in contact with a repair company LG contracts out. A week later the repair technician shows up and says the panel is bad and it will take 5-7 days to get the part and then they would call to schedule repair. After 8 days I called to get the status of my part. I was told it was backordered and it would be another 3 weeks until the part arrives.

I decided to call LG and see what they could do ratify the issue. Once I got a hold of an LG agent I was told since the company they contract out already ordered the part there was nothing they could do. I explained that I was fine with 5-7 days but I was never asked if I wanted the part backordered. How is that my fault. I also mentioned the part that was ordered was ordered from LG so how can't LG do anything? I asked how do I get a 1 yr warranty and lose myTV for 2 months after only having it for 7 weeks. No answer. Just apologies. If the part is backordered it sounds to me that the issue with the panels is a mass problem that they can't keep enough parts on hand. Horrible service for such a large company.

My 47 inch 47LN5200 stopped turning on suddenly! This unit is less than 3 years old and of course not under warranty. LG said they would repair for 313 dollars! Doing the research these Tvs have this problem frequently. LGs support was terrible, and the product even worse! Only buy if you're wanting a lifespan of a year to two years! Learn from other mistakes, don't buy an LG TV or any product of LG for the matter, reviews are terrible!

LG tv keeps turning off then back on. Does this multiple times in a series. Contact to LG provided no assistance at all. Offered no help and not concerned. Just said to get repaired as over 1 yr old. It is Just two years old. How uncaring towards their consumers. If any class action suit started I am an advocate. A TV should last longer. All my others have.

One word garbage!!! I bought this tv new, and have it shipped to the D.R and we can't get it set up because it's stuck on the revolving balls and on the lg logo then freeze. And to make matters worse there is no help from LG or its tech. Don't buy it. Stick with Sony, Sanyo, Panasonic etc. But not LG!!!

I was at a Micro Center Store looking for a new TV. I found a LG TV I liked. I called LG customer service while at the store and asked if the TV has an ambient light sensor. The LG representative said it did, so I bought the TV. I contacted LG customer service again which gave me the runaround for hours. One of the LG reps even refused to get a manager. I gave up and e-mailed LG executives. Over a week later, they finally responded that all they will do is take the TV back for a refund. LG lied about the TV having the feature I wanted. Instead of wasting more of my time, they need to do what is right -- send me a TV that has the feature they promised my TV had.

I just want everyone to know the terrible quality and customer service of LG. I've had a 50 inch LED tv for less than 3 years. It was purchased in 2013. The sound is ok but no picture. The led backlight strip went out. Googled it and found it to be a very common defect with these tvs. Contacted LG. They won't do anything about it. I took it to an electronics recycling event at work. There were 4 other 50 inch LG with the same model number and 2 47 inch LG all made in 2013.

Bought a LED/LCD Plasma tv in 2011 and spent $1000.00 on it. It's been close to 5 years to the date and tv screen freezes for about 30 seconds then turns off...dead! You would think a tv would last a little bit longer considering the price paid! I've had others that lasted 20+. Called LG to let them know what was going on, and told me it was the main circuit board...of course not covered under warranty. Called a local tv service, $300.00 to get it fixed. I let LG know how upset I was and that I will never again purchase a LG product.

LG TV 55" 55UF6450-UA 4K Ultra HD bought brand new on 11-28-15 for master bedroom. Used average of 2 hrs per day. On 11-25-16 it went blank. Called support line first time on 11-26-16, got foreign person. Long story short: many calls and two visits by a Houston technician, my junk TV is not fixed. Tried complaining to LG online and got another idiot response: call your technician back. The point is: a $1,000 TV went out after only 730 hours use. That's horrible, and they should have immediately offered to send me a new TV. Instead, I am stuck in a terrible circle of pain. Do not ever buy anything from LG!!! I tried to wait on them to step up as it would have cost them maybe $200 to replace it? Their cost of a new one.

I am really really super frustrated with the LG TV I bought almost 2 years back. It suddenly stopped showing the picture and the RED light blinks couple of times and TV goes on stand by mode. After reading all the reviews this seems to be a known manufacture issue in LG TVs. If that is the case then why we are suffering as consumers and why LG is not recalling these TVs. So many users have same issue which is really frustrating. I called up customer support and they are simply saying we cannot do anything because warranty is expired. I would not recommend to buy LG tv's to anybody. This is very painful. Very bad experience.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

A top-tier TV manufacturer, LG has steadily expanded into smart TVs. Today, the company offers several series of new technology, such as the 4K TVs, in sizes larger than 55 inches.

• Built-in sound systems: All models feature built-in speakers for excellent multi-channel and surround-sound technology to deliver a cinema-like experience.
  • Smart technology: Many models provide built-in apps, allowing you to switch between programs and apps and quickly connect to external devices.
  • Smart technology: The LED TV models have at least full 1080p resolution or higher to ensure the picture is crystal clear. In addition to that, automatic upscaling ensures that if a movie or show doesn't match your TV's resolution, the TV will enhance the content for you.
  • IPS display: Models with IPS technology increase the viewing capacity of your screen, allowing you to get a great view no matter where you're sitting.
  • 3D viewing: Watch 3D content without losing the 3D effects.
  • Best for Home-theater enthusiasts, movie and TV connoisseurs, bargain shoppers and researchers.

Compare TV Brands