2.17/5

1244 24 Hour Fitness Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I’ve been a customer of 24 Hour Fitness for about a year and then I stopped going there so I called to cancel my membership and representative over the phone convinced me to keep all my benefits for 10.00$ a month so I agreed. And after a while my account got charged 44.99$ without any warnings. I called them and cancel my membership and they refunded my 44.99$. Just to note I spoke with representatives and manager as well. Few days later after my refund guess what happened? They charged my card again 44.99$ and after I called them again they refused to refund the whole 44.99$ as they do have prorated system!!! How in ** world it’s my problem as you stole my money as you took it without my agreement or authorization? It’s a FRAUD!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I’ve been a long-time member with 24 Hour Fitness, and I’m extremely disappointed with the customer service at both the corporate office and the gym at 3600 W Orangewood Ave, Orange, CA. In the beginning of August, my friend and I went into the gym asking about the membership for her. The sales rep there misled my friend into signing a month-to-month membership and said as long as she cancels before 8/25 or earlier, her bank account would not be charged. Her only expense would be the $10 initial down payment which is nonrefundable.

She signed up under my master membership, tried the gym a couple of times, and didn’t like it. We ended up canceling her membership on 8/24 or earlier. Well, guess what? A few days later, her bank account was debited by around $60. I feel bad for my friend because she was misled by a sales rep that wasn’t well trained and didn’t know what he was talking about.

Since then, I’ve called the corporate office and the gym many times, explaining the situation over and over again each time I call. In speaking to the corporate office reps multiple times, one of the reps finally said that the corporate office can’t help me and that I would have to contact the 24 Hour Fitness in Orange directly. So that’s what I did. In speaking with the gym reps, they said the cancellation for a full refund has to be done within 5 days of the membership sign up, and it’s stated on the contract that she signed. I had to explain multiple times that my friend was misled by the sales rep. The customer service rep finally said she would have to check with the general manager to see if a full refund can be processed.

On 9/4, the service rep left a voicemail on my cell stating that a refund will be processed but will take up to 20 business days. My friend has received a $5 refund, then a $2 refund on 9/12. Under the impression that my friend was going to get a full refund minus the $10 down payment, I called the gym again on 10/11. Again, I had to explain the entire situation AGAIN. Once again, I am told the refund period is on the contract that she signed. I had to convince the rep that a refund was going to be processed by playing the voicemail on speaker on my phone while I have her on my work phone. Finally, when she looked into my account activities, she said the $2 on 9/12 was all that my friend was going to get, and that the refund is based on a prorated rate. The voicemail did not mention that at all.

At this point, I am tired of dealing with the reps of that gym. I find the customer service reps at both the corporate office and the gym not helpful at all. They are not well trained. In my multiple calls with them, I had to go back and forth with them, explaining the situation each time, and each time their responses would be different and inconsistent. I find that the sales rep misleading. He got my friend to sign the month-to-month contract and misstated the deadline for refund cancellation. When I bring this issue up with the corporate office, the office points its finger at the gym. When I bring the issue up at the gym, the gym points to the contract, not taking any responsibility for its untrained sales rep.

I brought my friend over to try out the gym membership, and she was misled and money was taken from her account. It’s very embarrassing since I was the one that brought her over. 24 Hour Fitness is quick to take a customer’s money, but it is nearly impossible to get it back. The corporate office and the gym does not take any responsibility for their untrained staff. My friend and I didn’t get any good customer service at all. Perhaps expecting good customer service and that the gym would make it right is too much. For these reasons, I will neither be a 24 hour fitness member in the future nor will I recommend the membership to any of my friends. In fact, I will recommend my friends to stay away from 24. I hope this gym goes out of business for its malpractice.

Get expert buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

One of the **, worst gyms in the country, they lock you into the contract and nothing can be done at the gym except signing up. You must call the national line to do anything, which often has over a half hour of hold time. You must do this in order to: Change membership levels, File a complaint, Do anything related to change or cancellation. They do nothing to help you when you're there and the staff is mostly bros and kids who don't care at all about anything to do with helping you nor are they incentivized that way. Bottom line: if you don't want to lose money, pay more to go to a local gym.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I am shocked and appalled by the amount of disrespect I have received over the phone when trying to cancel my account. The representative that helped me sign up lied about my account being contract free. When I discover that I need to pay a cancellation fee all of a sudden these representatives don't want to hear how I never agreed to a contract. The representative that spoke to me was talking over me the whole time as I was trying to explain the situation. I asked for her supervisor and when I finally speak to the supervisor, the supervisor doesn't want to hear what I have to say and disconnects the call.

Amazing how an American Based Customer Service team can act so unprofessionally. I never expected such disrespect and how unwilling these people are to help a person who has been a paying customer for over a year. This is unacceptable and frankly very concerning how they can be this shady forcing their customers to stay with the company and making it difficult to cancel a subscription. I just want to get out and they make it the hardest thing on earth to do. Greedy and Evil. This company is too much.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

The staff are not properly trained to relate correct charges and fees to customers. They charge your account anyhow without ensuring you understand what their charges represent and make you sign several times on their tablets without printing out the agreement for you to read and understand it. They verbally mislead and tie you into a 12 months contract to drain your wallet. I paid $227.27 on 6/10/2018. Staff told me it was an annual membership fee, followed by $86.58 a month and by 9/8/2018 another $108.22 annual membership was charged to my account.

Between 6/10/2018 to 9/10/2018 I have been charged $595.23. Staff and management can't help me. I am referred up and down. To cancel the membership another problem since 9/11/2018 to 9/14/2018. You will not get a dime from my account no more. You have just lost a member. Bad staff and bad management who cannot help. Hidden charges and confusion everywhere. No staff including General Manager can resolve any issue. They will not even call you. 5 working days to get a call, if they do call you. Shame on you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 24 Hour Fitness?

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

The gyms that are/or were SPORTS gyms are now changing to SUPER SPORTS gyms to charge you more for membership just because more people are going there not because they upgraded their gym with the extra amenities such as a pool, spa, basketball court. So in short you're paying super sport prices and only getting sport amenities. Well they lost a member today. That brings up another question if they lose enough members will they go back to SPORT gym prices. SPORT GYM vs SUPER SPORT GYM > GYM >GYM >POOL >SPA >BASKETBALL COURT.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Went in person and asked pointed questions on EXACTLY what we would be billed for and all the terms. The salesman explained everything to me and I even verified it back to him and then when I felt I had all the answers and felt I trusted them because I was so clear with him about my concern with hidden fees, he walked me through each screen and explained that we already talked about this, or that, etc. and it was like a full page of tiny print and after talking with him for half an hour, I trusted that. Then I got the billing, and it was NOT what he stated.

There was NO mention of an annual fee AT ALL or we would not have joined knowing it was $200 for the family when we weren't sure that 2 of our 4 would utilize it much. Then they told us we can freeze memberships anytime and I was told that again in person when I asked in the gym because my one daughter goes back to college and the other starts bball season and won't be at their gym for months. Another lie. Apparently you can only freeze for certain reasons. They teach their salespeople to scam is what I am convinced of. So disappointed, again. They screwed us years ago but I thought their past lawsuits would have changed the way they do business. Guess not :(

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

24-Hour Fitness uses a deceptive practice of charging a first and last month in advance. When one cancels the contract, as I did under their prescribed policy of doing so within the first 5 days of the month, in effect they charged me twice for my last month of membership -- once through paying the last month in advance and also being charged on my credit card for the same month, in effect paying twice for the same month. The general manager of the company said I had to tell them a month in advance that I intended to cancel my membership, even though there is nothing in my contract that states this. In good faith, I cancelled and expected that cancellation means cancellation, not a forewarning of cancellation but an actual cancellation, finish, end of membership, complete.

I spoke to the general manager of the national headquarters and found him to be rude and arrogant and refusing to accept the standard business practice that "the customer is always right," even though he acknowledged that there was nothing in the contract that said a member had to cancel a month in advance. Sad to say, 24-Hour Fitness management doesn't know the basics of business ethics.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I have been given the run-around regarding access to Super Sport Clubs for several months now. My latest contract from 2000 allowed access to "All Fitness Clubs and Sport Clubs", but did not includes "Sporting Clubs by 24 Hour Fitness". Now they are opening clubs and put the word "Super" in the title, apparently to allow them to close (or rename) the clubs I have access to and force me to increase my payments approximately 300% to gain access.

I have a list of 50+ clubs that I have access to, some with the "Super Sport" title. I was told at my current club that I can exchange one of the super sport locations to the one near my house, but have not been allowed to by the GM. Everyone claims ignorance when I inquire about the process. Does anyone know a way to get this accomplished, or of any pending lawsuits regarding this "Super Sport" Scheme that would be of help? I foresee a day when "Super Sports" will be renamed to 'Super Duper Sports' and the game goes on...

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

BEWARE CANCELLATION SCAM for 24 Hour Fitness and poor customer service. We tried 24 Hour Fitness as a family for a year. We decided to cancel end of 6-2018 (not using it). Went in to the Carlsbad la Costa branch. It took 2 attendants and manager to finally accept our cancellation we were over with the 1 year.

They said it was canceled, and guaranteed it was taken care of. Then I check our credit card in end of August 2018. They charged us 2 more months 100/mo plus the 99 annual fee. And we hadn’t been there for 2 months and we were told it was canceled. Now when I call to cancel again we cannot get a refund from the annual fee or previous month since the local agent did not note it in the record.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

Sign up for my daughter for 30 days trial, told me only $40 but must* sign up for two months, rates will be pro-rated. After I agreed, before 30 days, wanted to cancel, No one would help me. When I called, manager busy, no one returned my call, 4 times went to cancel, replied: "Come during normal business hrs. or after 10 am." Once I did, no manager on site! I went over 30 days without canceling. My amount they were keep charging on VISA was $160.00 total. I think, this people are Corp. crooks. They play games with you, maybe not making enough money, & Started cheating customers like "Nothing happened!".

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I have been a 24 Hour Fitness member for 19 years and I was fairly happy until recently. I contacted the company via their website to complain about the music being played at one of the clubs I go to. It is the same terrible stuff every day and it is literally robbing off the pleasure of working out. I received an email saying that “My opinion was important and I would get a response within 72 hrs.” That was more than three weeks ago. Apparently, my opinion is NOT important, and they don’t care if my workout experience at one of their clubs is not enjoyable. Not even bothering to respond to my complaint is why I consider 24 Hour Fitness to have VERY POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

Member of 24 Hour Fitness for 17 years. Pay $99.00/yr. At the time of the contract the salesperson told me that if I pay 3 years of membership for about $650.00 then, for rest of your life I am paying $99.00/year and I can transfer to any 24 Hour Fitness in U.S. Now 24 Hour Fitness open new gym in my town but I cannot transfer because I am paying about $8.00/mo. They told me that I have to pay $40/mo. I think this is outrageous and misleading the consumer. Any help is appreciated!

Original review: July 24, 2018

Worst Customer Service Ever! Had an issue with them due to their sales representative wanting to get bonus! They knew about it, yet they DIDN'T even try to help me, all they care is MONTHLY DEDUCTION!!! TOOK ME 5-6 MONTH!!! They were deducting money from me and not letting me go INSIDE!!! Eventually had to cancel!!! More: They have a ROBOTIC Customers Service! It's like you are talking to pre-programmed robots. "It's the policy...The policy Says that...We can't go out of policy". BE HUMAN!!! YOU WRITE THE POLICY! NOT THE OTHER WAY!!!

So dirty and smelly. I'm now in LA Fitness...so far happy!!! Msg to 24 HOURS Owner and Management Team!!! "If YOU don't know how to serve a customer, THEN SHUT DOWN THE BUSINESS". I won't waste a penny on such management. And from the reviews and valuable CUSTOMER FEEDBACKS... I can clearly see the end of the current business/management. :)

Original review: July 20, 2018

I had my $99 annual membership for the longest time and during every relocation process I made sure my address was up to date with 24 Hour Fitness. Somehow 24 Hour Fitness missed to update my mailing address with physical address and I didn't receive my renewal notice. I have gone through customer service and contacts multiple different locations to get my annual membership back for the last 2 years and seems like it always end up in a hole and fake promises are made but no one delivers. It would be nice to find a way to get something from a company we took $99 a year for many years and even with their mistake they are pushing customers to get out of that deal and pay higher membership fees.

Original review: June 28, 2018

Member with 24 Fitness PQ for 3 months. This gym is nasty. The front desk people always look like someone owe them money not paying back. You can literally smell odor pass through the weight area. The group exercise classes look nice only in paper. Try couple classes, all the instructors are old, overweight, tired all the time and don't exactly know what are they teaching. People can easily get injured by taking their classes. Most of the people here workout are either senior or they have grandfather account, don't really pay much to access the gym (90 per year). They continue raise new members with higher price without inform us. Waste my money just to check out this place.

Original review: June 16, 2018

Free Guest Pass??? DON’T DO IT, IT’S NOT FREE!!! Save your time and money by going to this location. Kris is a liar and the company took money from my account without my knowledge. This happened at the Downey location in California. Have already filed a complaint with my bank with file a complaint with the corporate office. This also happened to a friend of mine but different location.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Canceling membership is very difficult. Two months from now, my membership expires. I tried to cancel my membership this morning. I cannot cancel it without paying my entire membership off. I asked could they please mark my account to end after my commitment. They refused to cancel my membership until I called again at the end of my commitment. I don't mind paying what I owe, but I definitely do not want to run the risk of forgetting to call back a second time to cancel. Where is customer service? Nonexistent with 24 Hour Fitness. I am Highly upset, but they do not care. DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE THAT I MADE.

Original review: June 11, 2018

No location in South Carolina, so I had to quit membership when we moved. After all these years, it was very difficult to drop my membership; lots of hassles in attempt to get more $$$ out of my pocket. Made me sour on the whole facility!

Original review: June 11, 2018

My Medicare supplement allows me free membership. I work out 4-5 times a week, once with a Personal Trainer who is spectacular! My only objection is that the "unisex" bathroom is not as well maintained as it should be -- sometimes out of soap, toilet paper, etc., and not as "picked up" as it should be.

Original review: June 11, 2018

The Master Trainer that I used is the best and really addresses my physical issues. The membership fees are great but the training pricing are a bit high (no senior discount). Also the facility needs a lot of upgrades and have a fresh clean look.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I have seen the staff attack ** members, deny them services and look the other way when Hispanic members assaulted disabled ** seniors. Besides the obvious, adult "services" are solicited to members that are not appropriate for any business to allow on the premises. The equipment and lockers rooms have a great deal dirt, visible mold/mildew and have been shut down along with the kids care for outbreaks of lice and influenza. Parking lots are a free for all, car break-ins, adult "services" transactions being completed and the staff refusing to alert the PD instead alerting a security company that does not respond. This not an environment for adults let alone kids.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Showers are disgusting and never modernized. Soap dispensers are easily accessed from fill location, allowing any sicko to do their sicko stuff. Pool hours not open early enough and pool is never regulated to have non-swimmers kept in first lane.

Original review: June 9, 2018

My gym and Fitness Center has been very helpful for me. When I am stressful at work I need to get my mind clear and my body in tune so I use the fitness center. I don't think I can function as well as I do without having the fitness center. It is such a necessity for me although I have equipment on my job to help my job performance. It is always nice to have a second Outlet and which I can keep myself in shape for my health and my job. I am a law enforcement officer and Fitness is one of the things is very very necessary for my line of work.

Original review: June 9, 2018

In average the facilities are OK... the higher the level of membership the cleaner they are. I always go late at night (when I can) because they are Pack during the day... AND believe me You don't want to breathe that kind of sweaty air. I guess it's a normal thing in any gym... And since I just go to workout (high intensity), and not for "the look at me thing" It does work perfectly for me. I like to go to several ones on different levels of membership. The staff is always nice and courteous. Unfortunately some clubs have the policy to close at night (even when the name is 24 Hour Fitness)... I enjoy workout at night. Other thing that I would like to see is to remain open during the holidays... Is when there is more free time to workout because pretty much people is out of jobs and they even close earlier the day before. Other than that I'm very happy with my 24 Hour gym.

Original review: June 9, 2018

Everything is ok. I felt wonderful every day. I use it 1 hour/day and 5 day/week. I like and appreciate the 24 hours program, you can chose what time you want and when you want. The people are great.

Original review: June 8, 2018

The 24 Hour gym in Westlake Village is small, outdated and run down - total disappointment. There are other 24 Hour gyms that are nice, however for some reason this one has been ignored. A Life Fitness is being built in Agoura, and we will change as soon as this gym is completed.

Original review: June 8, 2018

The gym people plus the people that goes there always a smile and hello. The gym is always clean and machines working. The class for older people is very good.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Always quiet. Not too many people. People are nice, no one bothers others because people come to 24 Hour Fitness concentrates on doing their own workout.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I wish the bathrooms were more clean. Also, people sit their bare, naked butts on the bathroom benches. There should be a policy about this because it’s not sanitary.

24 Hour Fitness expert review by ConsumerAffairs

24 Hour Fitness offers over 400 gym locations in 13 states, including California, Colorado, Florida, Hawaii, Maryland, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Texas, Utah, Washington and Virginia.

• GX24 classes: 24 Hour Fitness offers group exercise classes in four categories: Burn, Intensity, Strength and Bliss. Each class is taught by a trained instructor and offers motivation and community to help you meet your fitness goals.

• Fit:Perks Rewards: Members can sign up for the free Fit:Perks Rewards program, which allows you to earn points for working out and participating in 24 Hour Fitness’s social media channels. Points are redeemable for sweepstakes entries, giveaways, discounts and promotions.

• My24 app: 24 Hour Fitness helps you stay organized to reach your fitness goals with its My24 app. The app allows you to view updated class schedules, join challenges, set and conquer goals, link other fitness apps and wearable devices and more.

• Training Club 24: For clients who enjoy competition, 24 Hour Fitness’s Training Club 24 lets you compete in team workouts that build in intensity every week. Coaches help teams set and meet goals.

• Kids’ Club: Children up to age 12 can attend the Kids’ Club, which features CPR- and First Aid-certified attendants, a fast and secure check-in process and active play. Members can purchase single Kids’ Club visits or add monthly payments to their membership plans.

• Best for: fitness novices, athletes, fitness buffs and parents.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs