3.54/5
  • 1 star
Based on 429 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

24 Hour Fitness

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 19, 2018

1175 24 Hour Fitness Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I have been going to this 24 Hour Fitness (Alderwood/Lynnwood) for 6 months and have been very satisfied until now. The last 2-3 months amenities such as hot tub or steam room seem to be constantly not working. From the green water (2 times) in hot tub to a steam room that is only 90 degrees instead of 110 (which is the norm) to a pool that is now only 80 degrees. I swim for exercise and the pool had been 82-83. That is how it is advertised on website. I often try to call in evening before to see what is working but lately I have not been getting the full truth. I have shared my concerns with them and almost nothing has been done. Now I will not go back.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

Have you ever tried to cancel your membership? There’s nothing online, even within my own personal account that allows me to cancel my membership. I finally found a phone number and they said the wait time is 15 minutes. I hung up and called back asking to join the club and I got to a person immediately. He told me that he could not help me because it was a different department. So he transfers me and again I’m on hold for another 15 minutes. Horrible customer service! They care more about getting new customers than about helping existing customers.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

We had joined this gym when it was first opened on Sutter Street in San Francisco and had been their members since the late 80s. General reviews for those years about the gym were that they were adequate but not your typical top gyms... Believe it was $29/mo, more or less. We were pestered by their staff. We saw often when they expanded the base to Post/Van Ness and were sold a two-year contract for two persons at $677/2 years and then $49 x 2 the third year on for life. Sounds splendid RIGHT. Beware, they did not send statement each year and had been debiting our bank accounts on file on 3rd; fourth; fifth year thereabouts.

Suddenly, they stopped debiting our bank account (bearing in mind that they did not send any billing statements or even reminders to begin with) and that on one visit; we were told the life membership got suspended for non-payment. Our bank card has been active and in good standing and at the least why not a reminder letter to our address we had lived for 30 plus years. They just scammed you with such obvious tricks... When it sounds too good to be true; it usually is so beware of those unprofessional and dirty tricks!!!

In additions; the gym with their International affiliates known as California Gyms had scammed many overseas members with similar scams by selling them life memberships and then filed bankruptcy down the road. Just google and do your homework for those lawsuits. Classic Scammers... Won't do biz with them again and do save yourselves the troubles. To be fair they would be alright on a month to month or short term but NEVER allow them to sell you that BS life memberships which do not stand the test of time. We are ones of those victims worldwide!!!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

In May of 2017, I called 24 hour Fitness to cancel mine and my husband's gym memberships because we moved away from an area with any of their gyms. I was told that we had to move 20+ miles away to get out of our contract. We had moved 19 miles away and both worked in the opposite direction of their gyms. They would not allow us to cancel even though it wasn't remotely possible to work out at any of their facilities. We agreed to let our contract pay out monthly until it expired in December 2017. I was instructed to call in November to make sure it canceled before going to a month-to-month membership. Well, I called in November to make sure our accounts were cancelled and found out that our accounts had been placed on hold when I had previously called in May even though I had never requested it.

Also, we had been charged a monthly fee to have our accounts on freeze. Not only had our membership not been continuing so we could cancel it, but we were still being charged just to have our accounts frozen. I spoke to several different representatives and supervisors and none of them cared that a change had been made to our account without our permission. I requested that they go back and listen to the recording of the phone call in May and they said they didn't have the ability to do that and they could only go off the notes from the previous representative (I know that they record all the phone calls and can listen to them if needed so this was a huge lie).

I also later found out from a former 24 Fitness Employee that they are instructed to place people's accounts on freeze when they try to cancel their memberships. They refused to refund the fees incurred from being on the freeze that we never requested and they still would not cancel the membership claiming that we had 7 months left on our contract since we had placed it on a freeze. After being on the phone for over 2 hours, I finally agreed to pay a little over $220 to pay out the contracts and be done with 24 Hour Fitness Forever.

Skip to Jan 2018. My husband was reviewing our bank accounts and noticed that 24 Hour Fitness was still charging us our monthly dues!!! My husband called to figure out what was going on and to get a refund for the Dec/Jan fees that were charged. They said that my membership had been cancelled, but my husband's was still going because I wouldn't have the authority to cancel my husband's membership without his permission! Are you kidding me?! No one had mentioned this in any of the previous conversations and I had specifically requested that both our accounts be cancelled (especially since we were on the same account!).

It was an act of God to get them to cancel my husband's membership (which should have already been cancelled) and refund the 2 month's of dues that should have never been pulled from our account. My husband and I own a successful business and I wouldn't dream of treating our customers and clients so poorly. This was, by far, THE worst experience I've had with any business. I recommend that you never give 24-Hour Fitness your bank account or credit card information because it is nearly impossible to get them to stop taking your money. My husband and I absolutely will not do business with a 24-Hour Fitness for as long as we live.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

This gym scams you at any point and any way possible, their prices are way too high for their service and their equipment. 80% of their locations have old equipment, old and smelly, constantly broken machines and they charge you an annual fee even though their gym is total bs. Now for the service, anytime you call to resolve an issue they are rude, disrespectful, they have kept me on hold for literally 2 hours which I eventually had to let go and call back! They're super rude and act like whatever it is it's not their problem! They have A LOT of "invisible" rules and fees, so be aware! They will scam you with any fee possible! Worst worst gym out there, save your money for a place that values your business!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 24 Hour Fitness?

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

Barn-like gym, cold, unwelcoming staff. No help using the machines. Hardly any space for mat work. Terrible paperwork to get even a one-day guest pass. Impossible to get off their mailing lists once they have your address. I do not recommend this gym.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

Tuesday November 28, 2017, having just left a physical therapy appointment for an injured shoulder, I adhered to the advice of my therapist and stopped by the 24-Hour Fitness facility located at 4480 E. Charleston, Las Vegas, Nevada. I live three miles from there. I asked for a walkthrough and a man gave me a tour. I explained that I am 63-years old and in a bit over a month on January 01, 2018, I will be on Silver Sneakers and can attend the spa at no cost to me. But, due to my shoulder injury I really need the pool and spa, now. I was shown the pool and hot-tub but through the glass window located in the exercise machine area. It did not occur to me to insist that I go inside the area. From a distance it looked sparse but usable. So I paid for two-months.

On Thursday November 30th I went in for the first time to use the facility. The pool was cool and the water so low that it was hard for me at 5 foot 6 inches, to work my shoulder. I had to crouch down. Finally I decided it may be easier to do figure eights and the other exercises I was attempting to do in the hot tub. The temperature was very nice and I settled in, but the water was not up as high as it should be. If I sat on a seat or step, my arm was out of the water. That was frustrating but while I sat there I was shocked by the amount of yellowed scum foam on the water. I know soap from swimsuits can cause some of that, but not to this degree. Also the tile grout was black with scum and mold. The water flow hole looked like a place a troll may reside. Gross. I got out. I told the desk person that it was too nasty to use and she assured me she'd get someone to clean it ASAP.

I returned two-days later, on Saturday Dec 02, and found the pool cool and dingy. The hot tub was just as bad as before. Also a large man in the pool – his walker blocking the steps – was sitting on the steps in what looked like a black plastic bag? I decided to try the sauna which was pretty full. Then the big man in the bag came into the sauna and he and a woman were talking super-loud. I could not relax and the man was sweating profusely. When he took a rag and sopped up his sweat and then rung it out onto the floor, splattering it all over. I got out.

On my way out I noticed how nasty the concrete floor was too. There's rust everywhere and the showers, plastic chairs and bathrooms are poorly cleaned. Clearly there has been long term deferred maintenance. I went to the desk and said I wanted my money back and was told that I had 3-business days to ask for a refund. I am sure that's in the small print but it was not mentioned when I paid my money.

It was less than 3-days since I visited on Thursday and first complained, but 4-business days since I paid on Tuesday, before I saw the facility close up. I made this point and the young man I talked to told me to come back on Monday and talk to the manager **. I did and she was not there. The lady I talked to Monday could not help me and told me that ** would be there at 10:00 am the next morning, but to call first to be sure. Tuesday morning I called at 10:00 am. ** was in a meeting in Henderson and would be all day. I told the lady on the phone what was going on and all she said was, “Well it is past three days.” I said, “I am really getting angry about this, I paid for something I did not get, because the place is too nasty to use.” She said, “Alrighty then!” I hung up.

I filed a dispute with my bank regarding the money I paid for nothing but aggravation and I am sending this letter to the 24-Hour Fitness Headquarters, the Clark County Health Dept., and I will post it on all 24-hour fitness sites in Las Vegas. Whatever happened to business integrity and the rights of a customer? Not to mention that the spa seems to make a lot of their money on seniors and Silver Sneakers and seniors cannot afford to get infections or get sick from the unsanitary conditions at that facility.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Well I was a member and only went to the gym for 3 months. I wasn't able to go anymore so had to put my account on hold. Then decided to cancel my account because I just wasn't able to go anymore at all. The girl I spoke with said she'd cancel and I would not get charged. That was in August. I only noticed yesterday that they have been charging me still and I called today waited for over half hour. The girl told me she can't find notes that I canceled and so she would cancel my account today but I wouldn't get my money back! I wanted to speak to a supervisor. And the girl said I would only wait up to a min on hold but it ended up being over 10 minutes on hold. When I finally started speaking to a supervisor, she basically called me a liar cuz the account wasn't noted and that she will not refund me my money.

She kept saying my name wrong so I corrected her and after correcting her she would use my name in every sentence. I asked her to stop saying my name in every sentence and she stated that I was not being professional so she put me on hold... when she got back on I asked her how is me asking her to stop using my name in every sentence unprofessional? She said I said other words when I did not. Was on that call for over an hour and they are just rude and say things then reword it because apparently I am too stupid to understand. That supervisor would tell me things that I would say back and she would reword it. Not honest or respectful or loyal to their members or member states that want to cancel. Will never want to return and will tell my friends and family and anyone else that asks how horrible 24 Hour Fitness is!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

I have been going to 24 Hour Fitness in San Mateo, CA for about 3 years and the only reason of that is this is the only gym close enough to my home (before that I was going to Gold's Gym in another state for 7 years). I have to say this particular gym is just terrible and here is why: Urinals in men restroom are always broken and non functional, urine stays in it for long time causing terrible odor. It's just ridiculous that such simple things cannot be fixed for such a long time by managers of this gym. Equipment is pretty old. Some of machines are non functional and broken. While working in free weight area it's always hard to find right weight for the bar, because there are only few of little weight plates and they are always in use.

When come to the gym it's a real challenge to find available and functional locker box. Most of them are just broken. The gym is extremely overcrowded, most of the time. When the gym is closing at 2 pm on some holidays don't be surprised that you are not allowed to come in at 1 pm. There is a pool in the gym, but it's just disgusting. The water is extremely chlorinated. People prefer to stay away of this pool. Overall this is probably the most terrible gym I have ever seen. I'll be looking for alternatives for sure.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Closed the location in downtown Long Beach and redirected me to a location 10 miles away (about 30 minutes drive time during peak hours). Process of closing the account is complicated, long hold times on telephone, with advice to "call back later in the week". NOT CUSTOMER FRIENDLY.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

24 Hour Fitness - Sheepshead Bay location - The pool area which includes the pool, hot tub, sauna and steam room has been closed since May. They are still charging the full membership dues all this time. Why do I have to pay full membership for half a club?

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I have been a loyal 24 Hours Fitness member for several years now. I go to the 24 hours fitness at Potrero Center in San Francisco. On 11/09/2017 I went to the gym after work like I always do. I signed in and went in the men's locker's room. As I was undressing a woman came in the men's locker room, I look around to other gym members and everyone seems concerned. I thought it was very unusual, so I dressed myself back up and went to the front desk to report the incident. As I approach the front desk the same lady that was in the men's locker room heard me telling the situation to one of the employees. The employee told that she was allowed to do this because she considered herself a man.

I asked the employee a few more question to try to better understand what was happening. The same lady got really upset and started calling names and insulting me because I was talking to the employee regarding the issue. I did not wanted to argue with her or anyone, so I just went back to the locker room to change and did my workout as usual. After I was finish with my workout, and as I was leaving the gym the Manager approached me to tell me that my membership was going to be cancelled because the same lady complained about me. I think this is very very unfair, because I did not know what was happening or what the situation was or the circumstances, I was only expressing my concerns. I did not insulted anyone. But now they have cancel my membership. Can someone please HELP!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

Upon my initial tour prior to joining, I was informed that I could join and cancel at any time without penalty. I even paid a security deposit of an extra month payment to cover an extra month in the event I decided to cancel my membership. In addition, the membership requires that you pay for an extra month every March or April for maintenance.

I do like the gym. It is awesome, but upon some financial difficulties I needed to cut back on some of my smaller expenses. One of them was 24 Hour Fitness. I called to cancel and was informed that I could not do so without paying a cancellation fee of $200 per account. I had me and my wife on the account, so that's $400. Whatever happened to the free cancellation that was mentioned to us prior to joining? I was forced into freezing the membership for $10 each until I'm ready to start up the membership again. Like I said, I like this gym so I gave it two stars. I had to take away 3 stars for deceit. Don't believe the hype. If they tell you there will be no cancellation fee - it's a lie.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I purchased a 3-year membership in 2009 and was told after my membership expired I would be charged $100 a year after that. Well, I was charged $100 a year up until 2016 where I was charged $179 for the year. I was told because the gym needed to upgrade its equipment. Well, the 24 Hour Fitness I attend is on Slauson and La Cienega and I have never seen any new equipment or upgrade to that gym.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I was escorted by the very polite police officers of Lakewood, Ca. to leave the Lakewood 24 Hour Fitness by manager Eric! I have reported on numerous occasions to the management in the past about the mold and mildew surrounding the whirlpool tub! See pictures of the filthy mold and mildew I obtained today October 28, 2017 from the whirlpool tub! Before obtaining the pictures of the filthy dirty mold and mildew whirlpool tub, manager Eric stated to me that technicians came this week and surveyed the whirlpool tub and found nothing!! Please look at the pictures and try to tell me that that there was no filthy dirty mold and mildew on the towel! Records can be checked out to see if any technicians did survey the whirlpool tub! Records and videos can prove me right! I have already complained via voicemail to the corporate office and I am waiting for their return call!

I wave been humiliated and embarrassed by the 24 Hour Fitness staff and manager Eric having the kind police of Lakewood escorted me out! I will be contacting the Lakewood Health Department on Monday October 30, 2017 and I will be making a formal complaint. I will also be contacting the local news stations! Now here's the icing on the cake... I was also banned from 24 Hour Fitness for 1 year! I am a concerned senior citizen. Now to be black balled and humiliated for trying to prevent anyone getting sick from the filthy dirty mold and mildew whirlpool tub, imagine a diabetic with an open wound most likely would get infected and possibly lose a limb. So for my moral and consciousness duty and concerns for my fellow gymnasts I was embarrassed beyond comprehension! Please I need advice...

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I have had a membership with 24 Hour Fitness on and off for the last 5 years. Every single time I have had to cancel my membership it seems as though these people just WILL NOT cancel your membership! I called in to cancel my membership the final time this last April. The representative offered to freeze my membership, but since I used to work for this horrible company years back I understood that this meant if my account is not cancelled by October they will charge me $40 annual fee.

I told the rep that I do not want to freeze since I can join at any time with no initiation with the company I work for. The rep said fine he would cancel it and I would receive a confirmation email. This was my first mistake, I went about my day as though I just dealt with a large corporation that cares for it's customers and not just it's bottom line. I was clearly wrong! This representative put my account on hold, I am not sure if they are incentivized to do so or just makes them look better, and come October I am charged the annual fee & my membership fees as well. I called thinking a huge corporation like this would clearly have a good business model with their customers, like Amazon, but I was WRONG!

The rep literally told me these charges are completely true and correct per our notes in your account which state that you want to simply freeze the membership for a maximum 6 months. After then speaking with a manager about this I was told that these charges will never be removed since they are correct. I am blown away by how terrible 24 Hour Fitness customer service is. I work for a company where I am in contact with people moving to the city I live in on a DAILY basis. I will now be sharing my story with every single person I meet that moves to this area and be sure that not one of them signs up for 24 Hour Fitness. You can keep my $70 but you just lost out on THOUSANDS!! Clearly I made the right choice when I quit this job years back.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

24 Hour Fitness Louisiana and Elgin, Houston TX - This gym is about selling memberships... it is always packed, in 2 months, I have always had to wait in line for the equipment I wanted to use, no matter what time of the day or night I would go. When I tried to get out of the membership, they wanted to be paid in full, with no exit clause... In over 25 years of going to the gym, I have never been so UNMOTIVATED to work out. Just the absolute worst experience I have ever had with a gym!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017
I received a "FREE 3 DAY PASS. Pass valid at all clubs. Please activate your FREE pass at your home club: Thousand Oaks 2595 East Thousand Oaks Blvd

Thousand Oaks, CA 91360. (805) 777-7300." And when I went to the 24 Hour Fitness location to activate the pass, the manager asked me to answer questions that were not relevant as a guest. I asked him to activate my pass skipping the questions and once I decided to join I would answer those questions, but he said answering those questions would activate the free pass. I said, "If so why it was not mentioned while issuing the free pass." I had to leave the 24 Hour Fitness place since the manager did not honor the free pass and did not activate it without collecting unnecessary personal data. I did not find it fair to me as the potential customer. It was a total waste of time and resources.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I placed my account on hold and confirmed there would not be any more charges to my card and then subsequently I canceled my membership and they charged me an additional "annual membership fee" even though I was canceling and refused to refund the charge. I left 24 Hour Fitness because of the environment at the gym which was like a singles club. I am now with a gym which focuses on providing an experience in which the members can reach their fitness goals.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I am very pissed off. No one didn't want to help me in regards getting my refund. They pretty charge me the annual fee and overdrawn my account and I cancel my membership with this gym. They gave me a ** story. Couldn't speak to someone higher than a customer service specialist, was being a smart ass with me. I'm trying to get people to get a lawsuit with this people.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I am trying to cancel my membership which they don't allow you to do online. They provide a toll-free number but I have now tried 3 different times to call them, each time on hold for more than 20 minutes. This is ridiculous.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I’m a member of 24 Hour Fitness and when I signed up for a membership the manager told me that I could bring a guest once every six months. On Friday, I brought my boyfriend, what I didn’t know was that as I tried to signed him up for a membership and he used the gym once under the membership, he couldn’t be guest and he would had to pay $20, well it was fine until the staff was very rude to explain it to us, she treat us very bad, however, what made me very upset it was the manager that I’ve never seen him before, who talked to us in a very rude tone and inappropriate way, as I wasn’t worthy to the gym.

Well, if he treats everyone like that, he will make everyone cancel their membership as what I felt like doing at the time. I’m one person, it wouldn’t make a difference for the gym, however, I have friends going there and one person giving bad review can cause a lot damage for the gym. 24 Hour Fitness needs to train better their staff of how to deal with customers.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

I am a student already starting my university courses, and my experience with 24 Hour Fitness sound like they might just be borderline ILLEGAL. I signed up last month on labor day where I didn't need to go through the $100+ initiation fee because of the promotion they were having, and knowing my friend is working out at 24HF, I thought I could learn a few workout routines from him.

At the time, University courses didn't start until the end of the month for me, so I figured I could learn a few work out routine from my friend working out at 24. So I talked to one of their "Sales Advisor" in which I told him I was new at signing up for a gym membership (big mistake, in which I will go over that detail in a bit), and how I only wanted to work out for the ONE MONTH with my friend before starting university again. He acknowledges I only wanted to work out for one month because we both agreed it was silly when I already have a membership waiting for me coming back to school at uni.

Now knowing I was new at this because I told him, he didn't miss the opportunity to try and squeeze a bit of money out of me (which is understandable) by trying to use fancy terms for his Ultra Deluxe package for $100+ a month, which I told him once again that I was a student, and money was an issue for me, and I just wanted to workout for the one month and be on my way (Later I found the ultra deluxe package full benefit is only accessible in a few states, and not my state at all. So he was having me pay extra with no added benefits of what was in the package, spaw, massages, etc from what I heard).

We then go to the option of wanting me to pay for all club membership access or just the one. I opted for the single membership, since that 24 hour was close to my house, but he apologizes and told me that the system didn't have the one membership for this 24HF in this specific location (In which I questioned in my head, why then would you give me two options when you KNOW your system doesn't run the single membership...). Now, at the time, my friend was there with me as well, and I didn't want him to wait for too long, so I gave him the okay for the all access membership, which totaled $40 a month (which I was fine with as long as it's really $40 for that one month).

And do you know what the ** up part about all this? This Sales Advisor failed to notify me he was going to place me in a one year commitment plan (aka, I have no right to cancel out of it for the ONE YEAR), nor did he tell me about the other option of paying a little extra to cancel at anytime when I specifically told him I only wanted to work out for 1 MONTH. I only found out about that option after I came in to cancel with one of the sales representative telling me they couldn't do anything because I was on that same commitment plan.

So you would expect the SHOCK I was going through when they had told me. My last hope is to come in and meet the General Manager to try and get this sorted out, but my chances are grim I was told. I read the policy on the commitment plan and the only way out of it is to be in military service at the time, or die! Yes, literally ** die! It's that grim. Bottom line is, I feel really trapped right now, and next week I have exams I have to worry about. I wanted to call out that sales adviser who got me into this mess, but coincidentally, he doesn't work there anymore, so ** me, right? To future and present 24HF members, be sure to clearly ask what you're getting yourself into when you sign up. It's a real pain in the ass with all the hidden fees you will get yourself into. Never again.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

The only reason this has 2 stars rather than one is because my time in the gym was good. The classes were great and it was a clean and friendly environment. However, when I moved back into college leaving after summer and tried to cancel my membership, they didn't follow through. I acknowledged the standard procedure was going into the store to cancel, and asked if there was any way to cancel over the phone since my home gym was 3 hours away (I asked because if they told me no, another location was a 1 hour drive I was willing to make to ensure my membership was indeed cancelled before being charged another month).

They agreed to let me speak with a manager, who took my phone number down and said he would cancel it the next morning. I took him at his word and thought that was the end. However, the following month I was charged the annual fee, plus my regular monthly charge. Since there was nothing on file from my conversation with the manager, they couldn't refund me the $100. Very disappointed in the way they did not follow through on their word, as I would have driven to the nearest gym to save that money. Double check your membership is actually cancelled and get proof, so the same thing doesn't happen to you.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

Thrown out of gym because according to them I had never calling cops on nut that said, "I wanna shoot that ** dead twice". Ran to lobby. Was told, "Can't we all just get along?" I am not calling cops on Felisha... I know her... laughing... in order to do anything I have to see it with my own eyes. Nut goes past desk with buggy and they wave her goodbye. Would not take incident report... or call cops. Cops came because they did not like me taking their picture... went all the way up to loss prevention. He said it was he said she said... and I called the cops how date I... Felisha still on 24-hour property. Got license plate. Happened Sept. 2 2017. Dirty sauna... vandalism... shower door smashed... girls' locker robbed... BLOOD in sauna never removed. Four places. Continual harassment by members in this club.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I was signed up for trial membership with 24 Hour Fitness and I have canceled and also asked them to remove my credit card on file. Not that did not remove my credit card but they also charging me $32 monthly. I canceled my membership, but they did not put that in the system so they charge me again. So I canceled one more ** time and again they charge me $32 next month and say, "We can't refund you".

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

I was signed up for trial membership with 24 Hour Fitness and I have cancelled and also asked them to remove my credit card on file. Not that did not remove my credit card but they also charging me $29.99 monthly. I have request for refund last month and this month they charged me again. What a scam company!!!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

I was dissatisfied with how 24 Hour Fitness handled my membership cancellations. My wife and I put our memberships on freezes due to expire in Mar 2017. In Sep 2016, I visited our location in Katy TX, and canceled our family memberships and the add-on ones for the children. For some reason only mine and our children's were canceled - there was a charge in Sep 2016, but I disputed it and it was resolved. I just realized - my oversight - that they began charging our credit card again in Mar 2017 for just my wife's membership. Because it is a credit card we don't use frequently, I didn't catch it till 6 months later. I contacted their phone number for cancellations, and they claimed they had no record of the cancellation, even though they can verify there has been no usage for over a year.

They explained they had no reason to doubt me, but because they didn't have documentation of the cancellation, they wouldn't give a refund. I concede I was slow in recognizing the charges, but I also believe we clearly had communicated cancellation - we got no notice that they had begun charging, even though they claim they send notice by email (I looked and couldn't find an email notice, although they send lots of junk advertising). I have formally submitted a complaint at their corporate website. As other reviewers have implied, they are not very customer oriented and resort to citing their membership policies on refunds - i.e. not giving any.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I am very dissatisfied with the leadership corporate has offered their employees & the level of disregard for their clients out of pocket expenses. Membership annual fee of $111.76 as well as maintenance fees of $49.99 each month. I was misled to believe if I canceled before the 30 day trial is over the Membership annual fee of $111.76 would not be cashed (it was cashed) and I would not have to pay monthly fees (I was charged for two months). The Newark location did not have working copying equipment and I was reassured it would be canceled the next day. In which corporate was not informed of cancellation and I was charged for membership annual fee and monthly fees for two months 49.99 x 2 = 99.98. Total amount is $211.74. I would like a refund because 24 Hour Fitness was not authorized to charge is $211.74. I did not think it would happen to me and it did due to poor training from corporate.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

The Most Unprofessional & Rude Staff I've ever had to Deal with. Their Gym is Unsanitary & They have Overdrawn my Bank Account By Taking out My membership fee even after I prepaid them in cash. They're Shady. Don't waste your time. There are other quality gyms out there for you to join.

24 Hour Fitness expert review by ConsumerAffairs

24 Hour Fitness offers over 400 gym locations in 13 states, including California, Colorado, Florida, Hawaii, Maryland, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Texas, Utah, Washington and Virginia.

• GX24 classes: 24 Hour Fitness offers group exercise classes in four categories: Burn, Intensity, Strength and Bliss. Each class is taught by a trained instructor and offers motivation and community to help you meet your fitness goals.

• Fit:Perks Rewards: Members can sign up for the free Fit:Perks Rewards program, which allows you to earn points for working out and participating in 24 Hour Fitness’s social media channels. Points are redeemable for sweepstakes entries, giveaways, discounts and promotions.

• My24 app: 24 Hour Fitness helps you stay organized to reach your fitness goals with its My24 app. The app allows you to view updated class schedules, join challenges, set and conquer goals, link other fitness apps and wearable devices and more.

• Training Club 24: For clients who enjoy competition, 24 Hour Fitness’s Training Club 24 lets you compete in team workouts that build in intensity every week. Coaches help teams set and meet goals.

• Kids’ Club: Children up to age 12 can attend the Kids’ Club, which features CPR- and First Aid-certified attendants, a fast and secure check-in process and active play. Members can purchase single Kids’ Club visits or add monthly payments to their membership plans.

• Best for: fitness novices, athletes, fitness buffs and parents.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

24 Hour Fitness Company Information

www.24hourfitness.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use