3.29/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 11, 2018

1185 24 Hour Fitness Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 11, 2018

Member at Park and Ohio in Plano for 6 years or so. Have repeatedly pointed out to management dusty handrails, caked filth on stair banister, etc. No action ever taken. Twice my membership had been flagged for issues concerning an AARP supported discount. Each time I was treated as though I was trying to get away with something. This time I was denied entry insisting that I pay a full membership fee. I declined and received a sarcastic response from the presumed to be manager. Of course not all employees have a snarky attitude toward their clients. This is not a quality company and I would recommend against membership at Park and Ohio in Plano.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Haven't used 24 Hour Fitness in over a year. Tried to cancel and they froze my account instead. I got charged for an annual fee plus 2 monthly memberships without my knowledge and they would not give me a full refund. I know I said it already but I haven't used this service in over a year! What a terrible business. I'd rather pay for a CrossFit business even though it's more expensive, at least they're small business and generally honest people. 24 Hour is a big thumbs down for me for life.

Get expert buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Terrible place that is sorry and disgusting. I'm talking about the Aurora location on Abilene by 225. This place got bought by 24 from Bailey's and they have systemically destroyed anything that was good about this gym. The worst part is the daily Mexican fiesta workout that they hold on the MIDDLE OF THE GYM FLOOR!!! Have fun trying to work out to your own music and it's drowned out by Spanish techno music!

Original review: March 8, 2018

I've taken my 2 and 11 year old to kids club but since my 11 year old would always do their job and take care of my 2 year old there was never a bad outcome. Yesterday I decided to take my 2 year old and my 11 month old to the same kids club for the first time without my 11 year old and it took me about 45- 50 minutes to enroll my 11 month old because the employees are not well trained and don't have the right information to perform their job. Finally I get her into the kids club go for my workout and within 20 min or less two employees go get me and all they say is to go because something happened with my child. I was scared rushing to see my kids. I found my two year old with deep scratches all over her face, ear and neck! As if she was attacked by a huge cat! They told me another kids had done that to her while they were up on the slide. So apparently once the kids go on the slide no one is watching over them.

It clearly took them a while to notice my 2 year old daughter was getting beat up by an older boy judging by the amount of deep scratches all over her, some so deep it would probably be leaving scars! The manager talked to me and offer me a free month. Lol what an insult! I've been a member since 2011 and pay the highest monthly payment since it's a super club and 3 kids membership. I didn't go there for the free month. What I wanted was for them to do what they advertise and run a safe and kids friendly environment for my kids but they are not capable of, the employees there are NOT qualified to run the front desk, bad customer service and the worse childcare! 24 hour should hire qualified individuals and give them the right training for the position being held.

Original review: March 3, 2018

I signed up for an Annual Membership @ Arlington TX 24 Hour Fitness in May/2017: Paid w/ my credit card. Since then, I happened to be out of state for a few month, so I informed as such to the office. The front person said, "You are OK. Your account is frozen. When you come back it will be ready for you." But that job lasted longer than I expected but more than couple of months... I finally return in February and checked my account: They told me that my account will be finished in May 11/2018. I talked to the manager there and he said, "We can't freeze the account as you paid with your credit card for 1YR membership... Also, we don't discuss temporary freeze the account unless it is a monthly payment... We can't tell when people goes into the hospital, trip or what. So, there's nothing I can't do". My entire membership has been wasted.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 24 Hour Fitness?

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

Have been a member since 1995. Last started in 2014 with supersport in Walnut Creek. Was traveling for 3 months. Called them Oct 30 of 2017 and asked to freeze my account till Jan 31. I come back and my membership is canceled and found a cancellation email sent to me on Oct 31 2017. Called the gym. The manager said call the customer service whom I had talked back in Oct. Britney, I think was the representative's name, said she put my account for investigation which will take 7-10 days. She said she puts a note on my account so I can use the gym meanwhile. She even said do not go to the gym right now, give it 24 hours for this to appear on your account.

Today, almost 48 hour later, I come to the gym and they very rudely and with no understanding or compassion deny my access and treat me like I am trying to sneak in! Jenny her name was and another girl. Shame on them for treating a customer after 23 years. I called the customer service again while I am still at the gym and all they say is "Sorry, get a new membership!!!" That is it? Does this explain how and why you canceled my membership? Why did she tell me I have access then? I wouldn't walk in if I wasn't given false information and lied to. Did you just wanted to humiliate me by denying me access? What an embarrassing moment! And to be embarrassed by unprofessional people? Shame on you for treating everyone the same. Money is not everything, 24 Hour Fitness!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

Riverdale Sport 298 West 231 street General manager ** stops members at the door, and threatens to have my membership revoked for contacting corporate about a broken machine, also the lifeguard ** who can't speak proper English has a communicable disease read pool sign. 24 Hour has a conspiracy against me. There are many members there from the Caribbean whom are ignorant, and gossip all day. It's very cliquish.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

Always dirty. Worst company ever. Was on a pause for financial hardships, got a charge right in the middle of when I wasn't supposed to. REFUSED to work with me AT ALL. Worst customer service experience ever. I will never recommend or use 24 ever again. I worked as a customer service manager for years. I am appalled.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

Purchased Bally's lifetime membership in the 1980s with a friend. $1700 to have a lifetime fixed annual renewal rate. Moved to Colorado and added a family member to my membership under friends/family promotion in 1989/1990 for the same fee we paid before, but the annual renewal rate was the same too. That club closed several years later, but our lifetime memberships were good nationwide, so we had no "home" club, but our memberships still worked everywhere. The last clubs we used were in Denver. 24hr Fitness bought Bally's in ??2015?? and we never got a notice, but had moved to Florida. We paid for our 3 year renewals in 2014 and tried to go to the Orlando Bally's in late 2015 to find the club closed, which is when we discovered the 24hr Fitness buyout.

Went to the 24hr Fitness in Orlando and we were told our accounts were closed due to non-payment of dues. The branch tried to help fix it, but couldn't work on an inactive account so we had to work with the home office in Washington State. Sent proof of our Bally's memberships, dues payments through 2017, etc. and were told our membership wasn't transferred to them after all. They said they tried to contact us to start a membership with them but our information with Bally's didn't transfer (all information in the Bally's system was correct for our current address, as evidenced by the bill we received in 2014 and the payments we made). They also couldn't answer why our Bally's account numbers were in their system or why they had a new membership number for us if we weren't part of the membership conversion.

In the end, they simply said we were never part of the transferred memberships and couldn't explain what happened to the 2 years of membership we paid for. This looks an awful lot like the issue that happened in 2011 when Anytime Fitness and LA Fitness bought some Bally's areas and a class action lawsuit about lifetime Bally's memberships resulted, but they made good on their lifetime membership transfers in the end. 24 Hour Fitness needs to do the same thing.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

Englewood Cliffs, NJ location. The people working there can best be described as used car salesmen and scammers. Not the kind of people one would invite to dinner or would want to be married into the family. Their human resources must be one crown jewel. The parking is good and the gym is located in a very nice neighborhood. Though few of the upper-class residents attend this gym. NOT open 24 hours. The steam room was broken before it was a 24 Hour Fitness and it remains broken after. So for several decades, the steam room has been broken. I understand things break. The worst I have seen was a steam room that has been broken for several years, but for decades?

Many of the gym members are thugs. Rude and stupid. Originally took a girl with me to the gym. But the constant harassment was too much. I guess a good thing if a woman is desperately seeking companionship. But the pickings are slim. This is NOT a gym where the well-educated professional with good character tends to attend. No place to just sit and relax. No cafe style area. There are drinks sold. Offering WiFi is a HUGE controversy at all 24 Hour Fitnesses. They have a scam fee. Initiation fee + monthly fee + yearly scam fee. A $50 additional fee that offers nothing. The entire atmosphere and mindset of 24 Hour Fitness are demoralizing. The staff, the members, and the policies are depressing.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I have been going to this 24 Hour Fitness (Alderwood/Lynnwood) for 6 months and have been very satisfied until now. The last 2-3 months amenities such as hot tub or steam room seem to be constantly not working. From the green water (2 times) in hot tub to a steam room that is only 90 degrees instead of 110 (which is the norm) to a pool that is now only 80 degrees. I swim for exercise and the pool had been 82-83. That is how it is advertised on website. I often try to call in evening before to see what is working but lately I have not been getting the full truth. I have shared my concerns with them and almost nothing has been done. Now I will not go back.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

Have you ever tried to cancel your membership? There’s nothing online, even within my own personal account that allows me to cancel my membership. I finally found a phone number and they said the wait time is 15 minutes. I hung up and called back asking to join the club and I got to a person immediately. He told me that he could not help me because it was a different department. So he transfers me and again I’m on hold for another 15 minutes. Horrible customer service! They care more about getting new customers than about helping existing customers.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

We had joined this gym when it was first opened on Sutter Street in San Francisco and had been their members since the late 80s. General reviews for those years about the gym were that they were adequate but not your typical top gyms... Believe it was $29/mo, more or less. We were pestered by their staff. We saw often when they expanded the base to Post/Van Ness and were sold a two-year contract for two persons at $677/2 years and then $49 x 2 the third year on for life. Sounds splendid RIGHT. Beware, they did not send statement each year and had been debiting our bank accounts on file on 3rd; fourth; fifth year thereabouts.

Suddenly, they stopped debiting our bank account (bearing in mind that they did not send any billing statements or even reminders to begin with) and that on one visit; we were told the life membership got suspended for non-payment. Our bank card has been active and in good standing and at the least why not a reminder letter to our address we had lived for 30 plus years. They just scammed you with such obvious tricks... When it sounds too good to be true; it usually is so beware of those unprofessional and dirty tricks!!!

In additions; the gym with their International affiliates known as California Gyms had scammed many overseas members with similar scams by selling them life memberships and then filed bankruptcy down the road. Just google and do your homework for those lawsuits. Classic Scammers... Won't do biz with them again and do save yourselves the troubles. To be fair they would be alright on a month to month or short term but NEVER allow them to sell you that BS life memberships which do not stand the test of time. We are ones of those victims worldwide!!!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

In May of 2017, I called 24 hour Fitness to cancel mine and my husband's gym memberships because we moved away from an area with any of their gyms. I was told that we had to move 20+ miles away to get out of our contract. We had moved 19 miles away and both worked in the opposite direction of their gyms. They would not allow us to cancel even though it wasn't remotely possible to work out at any of their facilities. We agreed to let our contract pay out monthly until it expired in December 2017. I was instructed to call in November to make sure it canceled before going to a month-to-month membership. Well, I called in November to make sure our accounts were cancelled and found out that our accounts had been placed on hold when I had previously called in May even though I had never requested it.

Also, we had been charged a monthly fee to have our accounts on freeze. Not only had our membership not been continuing so we could cancel it, but we were still being charged just to have our accounts frozen. I spoke to several different representatives and supervisors and none of them cared that a change had been made to our account without our permission. I requested that they go back and listen to the recording of the phone call in May and they said they didn't have the ability to do that and they could only go off the notes from the previous representative (I know that they record all the phone calls and can listen to them if needed so this was a huge lie).

I also later found out from a former 24 Fitness Employee that they are instructed to place people's accounts on freeze when they try to cancel their memberships. They refused to refund the fees incurred from being on the freeze that we never requested and they still would not cancel the membership claiming that we had 7 months left on our contract since we had placed it on a freeze. After being on the phone for over 2 hours, I finally agreed to pay a little over $220 to pay out the contracts and be done with 24 Hour Fitness Forever.

Skip to Jan 2018. My husband was reviewing our bank accounts and noticed that 24 Hour Fitness was still charging us our monthly dues!!! My husband called to figure out what was going on and to get a refund for the Dec/Jan fees that were charged. They said that my membership had been cancelled, but my husband's was still going because I wouldn't have the authority to cancel my husband's membership without his permission! Are you kidding me?! No one had mentioned this in any of the previous conversations and I had specifically requested that both our accounts be cancelled (especially since we were on the same account!).

It was an act of God to get them to cancel my husband's membership (which should have already been cancelled) and refund the 2 month's of dues that should have never been pulled from our account. My husband and I own a successful business and I wouldn't dream of treating our customers and clients so poorly. This was, by far, THE worst experience I've had with any business. I recommend that you never give 24-Hour Fitness your bank account or credit card information because it is nearly impossible to get them to stop taking your money. My husband and I absolutely will not do business with a 24-Hour Fitness for as long as we live.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

This gym scams you at any point and any way possible, their prices are way too high for their service and their equipment. 80% of their locations have old equipment, old and smelly, constantly broken machines and they charge you an annual fee even though their gym is total bs. Now for the service, anytime you call to resolve an issue they are rude, disrespectful, they have kept me on hold for literally 2 hours which I eventually had to let go and call back! They're super rude and act like whatever it is it's not their problem! They have A LOT of "invisible" rules and fees, so be aware! They will scam you with any fee possible! Worst worst gym out there, save your money for a place that values your business!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

Barn-like gym, cold, unwelcoming staff. No help using the machines. Hardly any space for mat work. Terrible paperwork to get even a one-day guest pass. Impossible to get off their mailing lists once they have your address. I do not recommend this gym.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

Tuesday November 28, 2017, having just left a physical therapy appointment for an injured shoulder, I adhered to the advice of my therapist and stopped by the 24-Hour Fitness facility located at 4480 E. Charleston, Las Vegas, Nevada. I live three miles from there. I asked for a walkthrough and a man gave me a tour. I explained that I am 63-years old and in a bit over a month on January 01, 2018, I will be on Silver Sneakers and can attend the spa at no cost to me. But, due to my shoulder injury I really need the pool and spa, now. I was shown the pool and hot-tub but through the glass window located in the exercise machine area. It did not occur to me to insist that I go inside the area. From a distance it looked sparse but usable. So I paid for two-months.

On Thursday November 30th I went in for the first time to use the facility. The pool was cool and the water so low that it was hard for me at 5 foot 6 inches, to work my shoulder. I had to crouch down. Finally I decided it may be easier to do figure eights and the other exercises I was attempting to do in the hot tub. The temperature was very nice and I settled in, but the water was not up as high as it should be. If I sat on a seat or step, my arm was out of the water. That was frustrating but while I sat there I was shocked by the amount of yellowed scum foam on the water. I know soap from swimsuits can cause some of that, but not to this degree. Also the tile grout was black with scum and mold. The water flow hole looked like a place a troll may reside. Gross. I got out. I told the desk person that it was too nasty to use and she assured me she'd get someone to clean it ASAP.

I returned two-days later, on Saturday Dec 02, and found the pool cool and dingy. The hot tub was just as bad as before. Also a large man in the pool – his walker blocking the steps – was sitting on the steps in what looked like a black plastic bag? I decided to try the sauna which was pretty full. Then the big man in the bag came into the sauna and he and a woman were talking super-loud. I could not relax and the man was sweating profusely. When he took a rag and sopped up his sweat and then rung it out onto the floor, splattering it all over. I got out.

On my way out I noticed how nasty the concrete floor was too. There's rust everywhere and the showers, plastic chairs and bathrooms are poorly cleaned. Clearly there has been long term deferred maintenance. I went to the desk and said I wanted my money back and was told that I had 3-business days to ask for a refund. I am sure that's in the small print but it was not mentioned when I paid my money.

It was less than 3-days since I visited on Thursday and first complained, but 4-business days since I paid on Tuesday, before I saw the facility close up. I made this point and the young man I talked to told me to come back on Monday and talk to the manager **. I did and she was not there. The lady I talked to Monday could not help me and told me that ** would be there at 10:00 am the next morning, but to call first to be sure. Tuesday morning I called at 10:00 am. ** was in a meeting in Henderson and would be all day. I told the lady on the phone what was going on and all she said was, “Well it is past three days.” I said, “I am really getting angry about this, I paid for something I did not get, because the place is too nasty to use.” She said, “Alrighty then!” I hung up.

I filed a dispute with my bank regarding the money I paid for nothing but aggravation and I am sending this letter to the 24-Hour Fitness Headquarters, the Clark County Health Dept., and I will post it on all 24-hour fitness sites in Las Vegas. Whatever happened to business integrity and the rights of a customer? Not to mention that the spa seems to make a lot of their money on seniors and Silver Sneakers and seniors cannot afford to get infections or get sick from the unsanitary conditions at that facility.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Well I was a member and only went to the gym for 3 months. I wasn't able to go anymore so had to put my account on hold. Then decided to cancel my account because I just wasn't able to go anymore at all. The girl I spoke with said she'd cancel and I would not get charged. That was in August. I only noticed yesterday that they have been charging me still and I called today waited for over half hour. The girl told me she can't find notes that I canceled and so she would cancel my account today but I wouldn't get my money back! I wanted to speak to a supervisor. And the girl said I would only wait up to a min on hold but it ended up being over 10 minutes on hold. When I finally started speaking to a supervisor, she basically called me a liar cuz the account wasn't noted and that she will not refund me my money.

She kept saying my name wrong so I corrected her and after correcting her she would use my name in every sentence. I asked her to stop saying my name in every sentence and she stated that I was not being professional so she put me on hold... when she got back on I asked her how is me asking her to stop using my name in every sentence unprofessional? She said I said other words when I did not. Was on that call for over an hour and they are just rude and say things then reword it because apparently I am too stupid to understand. That supervisor would tell me things that I would say back and she would reword it. Not honest or respectful or loyal to their members or member states that want to cancel. Will never want to return and will tell my friends and family and anyone else that asks how horrible 24 Hour Fitness is!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

I have been going to 24 Hour Fitness in San Mateo, CA for about 3 years and the only reason of that is this is the only gym close enough to my home (before that I was going to Gold's Gym in another state for 7 years). I have to say this particular gym is just terrible and here is why: Urinals in men restroom are always broken and non functional, urine stays in it for long time causing terrible odor. It's just ridiculous that such simple things cannot be fixed for such a long time by managers of this gym. Equipment is pretty old. Some of machines are non functional and broken. While working in free weight area it's always hard to find right weight for the bar, because there are only few of little weight plates and they are always in use.

When come to the gym it's a real challenge to find available and functional locker box. Most of them are just broken. The gym is extremely overcrowded, most of the time. When the gym is closing at 2 pm on some holidays don't be surprised that you are not allowed to come in at 1 pm. There is a pool in the gym, but it's just disgusting. The water is extremely chlorinated. People prefer to stay away of this pool. Overall this is probably the most terrible gym I have ever seen. I'll be looking for alternatives for sure.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Closed the location in downtown Long Beach and redirected me to a location 10 miles away (about 30 minutes drive time during peak hours). Process of closing the account is complicated, long hold times on telephone, with advice to "call back later in the week". NOT CUSTOMER FRIENDLY.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

24 Hour Fitness - Sheepshead Bay location - The pool area which includes the pool, hot tub, sauna and steam room has been closed since May. They are still charging the full membership dues all this time. Why do I have to pay full membership for half a club?

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I have been a loyal 24 Hours Fitness member for several years now. I go to the 24 hours fitness at Potrero Center in San Francisco. On 11/09/2017 I went to the gym after work like I always do. I signed in and went in the men's locker's room. As I was undressing a woman came in the men's locker room, I look around to other gym members and everyone seems concerned. I thought it was very unusual, so I dressed myself back up and went to the front desk to report the incident. As I approach the front desk the same lady that was in the men's locker room heard me telling the situation to one of the employees. The employee told that she was allowed to do this because she considered herself a man.

I asked the employee a few more question to try to better understand what was happening. The same lady got really upset and started calling names and insulting me because I was talking to the employee regarding the issue. I did not wanted to argue with her or anyone, so I just went back to the locker room to change and did my workout as usual. After I was finish with my workout, and as I was leaving the gym the Manager approached me to tell me that my membership was going to be cancelled because the same lady complained about me. I think this is very very unfair, because I did not know what was happening or what the situation was or the circumstances, I was only expressing my concerns. I did not insulted anyone. But now they have cancel my membership. Can someone please HELP!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

Upon my initial tour prior to joining, I was informed that I could join and cancel at any time without penalty. I even paid a security deposit of an extra month payment to cover an extra month in the event I decided to cancel my membership. In addition, the membership requires that you pay for an extra month every March or April for maintenance.

I do like the gym. It is awesome, but upon some financial difficulties I needed to cut back on some of my smaller expenses. One of them was 24 Hour Fitness. I called to cancel and was informed that I could not do so without paying a cancellation fee of $200 per account. I had me and my wife on the account, so that's $400. Whatever happened to the free cancellation that was mentioned to us prior to joining? I was forced into freezing the membership for $10 each until I'm ready to start up the membership again. Like I said, I like this gym so I gave it two stars. I had to take away 3 stars for deceit. Don't believe the hype. If they tell you there will be no cancellation fee - it's a lie.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I purchased a 3-year membership in 2009 and was told after my membership expired I would be charged $100 a year after that. Well, I was charged $100 a year up until 2016 where I was charged $179 for the year. I was told because the gym needed to upgrade its equipment. Well, the 24 Hour Fitness I attend is on Slauson and La Cienega and I have never seen any new equipment or upgrade to that gym.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I was escorted by the very polite police officers of Lakewood, Ca. to leave the Lakewood 24 Hour Fitness by manager Eric! I have reported on numerous occasions to the management in the past about the mold and mildew surrounding the whirlpool tub! See pictures of the filthy mold and mildew I obtained today October 28, 2017 from the whirlpool tub! Before obtaining the pictures of the filthy dirty mold and mildew whirlpool tub, manager Eric stated to me that technicians came this week and surveyed the whirlpool tub and found nothing!! Please look at the pictures and try to tell me that that there was no filthy dirty mold and mildew on the towel! Records can be checked out to see if any technicians did survey the whirlpool tub! Records and videos can prove me right! I have already complained via voicemail to the corporate office and I am waiting for their return call!

I wave been humiliated and embarrassed by the 24 Hour Fitness staff and manager Eric having the kind police of Lakewood escorted me out! I will be contacting the Lakewood Health Department on Monday October 30, 2017 and I will be making a formal complaint. I will also be contacting the local news stations! Now here's the icing on the cake... I was also banned from 24 Hour Fitness for 1 year! I am a concerned senior citizen. Now to be black balled and humiliated for trying to prevent anyone getting sick from the filthy dirty mold and mildew whirlpool tub, imagine a diabetic with an open wound most likely would get infected and possibly lose a limb. So for my moral and consciousness duty and concerns for my fellow gymnasts I was embarrassed beyond comprehension! Please I need advice...

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I have had a membership with 24 Hour Fitness on and off for the last 5 years. Every single time I have had to cancel my membership it seems as though these people just WILL NOT cancel your membership! I called in to cancel my membership the final time this last April. The representative offered to freeze my membership, but since I used to work for this horrible company years back I understood that this meant if my account is not cancelled by October they will charge me $40 annual fee.

I told the rep that I do not want to freeze since I can join at any time with no initiation with the company I work for. The rep said fine he would cancel it and I would receive a confirmation email. This was my first mistake, I went about my day as though I just dealt with a large corporation that cares for it's customers and not just it's bottom line. I was clearly wrong! This representative put my account on hold, I am not sure if they are incentivized to do so or just makes them look better, and come October I am charged the annual fee & my membership fees as well. I called thinking a huge corporation like this would clearly have a good business model with their customers, like Amazon, but I was WRONG!

The rep literally told me these charges are completely true and correct per our notes in your account which state that you want to simply freeze the membership for a maximum 6 months. After then speaking with a manager about this I was told that these charges will never be removed since they are correct. I am blown away by how terrible 24 Hour Fitness customer service is. I work for a company where I am in contact with people moving to the city I live in on a DAILY basis. I will now be sharing my story with every single person I meet that moves to this area and be sure that not one of them signs up for 24 Hour Fitness. You can keep my $70 but you just lost out on THOUSANDS!! Clearly I made the right choice when I quit this job years back.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

24 Hour Fitness Louisiana and Elgin, Houston TX - This gym is about selling memberships... it is always packed, in 2 months, I have always had to wait in line for the equipment I wanted to use, no matter what time of the day or night I would go. When I tried to get out of the membership, they wanted to be paid in full, with no exit clause... In over 25 years of going to the gym, I have never been so UNMOTIVATED to work out. Just the absolute worst experience I have ever had with a gym!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017 I received a "FREE 3 DAY PASS. Pass valid at all clubs. Please activate your FREE pass at your home club: Thousand Oaks 2595 East Thousand Oaks Blvd

Thousand Oaks, CA 91360. (805) 777-7300." And when I went to the 24 Hour Fitness location to activate the pass, the manager asked me to answer questions that were not relevant as a guest. I asked him to activate my pass skipping the questions and once I decided to join I would answer those questions, but he said answering those questions would activate the free pass. I said, "If so why it was not mentioned while issuing the free pass." I had to leave the 24 Hour Fitness place since the manager did not honor the free pass and did not activate it without collecting unnecessary personal data. I did not find it fair to me as the potential customer. It was a total waste of time and resources.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I placed my account on hold and confirmed there would not be any more charges to my card and then subsequently I canceled my membership and they charged me an additional "annual membership fee" even though I was canceling and refused to refund the charge. I left 24 Hour Fitness because of the environment at the gym which was like a singles club. I am now with a gym which focuses on providing an experience in which the members can reach their fitness goals.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I am very pissed off. No one didn't want to help me in regards getting my refund. They pretty charge me the annual fee and overdrawn my account and I cancel my membership with this gym. They gave me a ** story. Couldn't speak to someone higher than a customer service specialist, was being a smart ass with me. I'm trying to get people to get a lawsuit with this people.

24 Hour Fitness expert review by ConsumerAffairs

24 Hour Fitness offers over 400 gym locations in 13 states, including California, Colorado, Florida, Hawaii, Maryland, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Texas, Utah, Washington and Virginia.

• GX24 classes: 24 Hour Fitness offers group exercise classes in four categories: Burn, Intensity, Strength and Bliss. Each class is taught by a trained instructor and offers motivation and community to help you meet your fitness goals.

• Fit:Perks Rewards: Members can sign up for the free Fit:Perks Rewards program, which allows you to earn points for working out and participating in 24 Hour Fitness’s social media channels. Points are redeemable for sweepstakes entries, giveaways, discounts and promotions.

• My24 app: 24 Hour Fitness helps you stay organized to reach your fitness goals with its My24 app. The app allows you to view updated class schedules, join challenges, set and conquer goals, link other fitness apps and wearable devices and more.

• Training Club 24: For clients who enjoy competition, 24 Hour Fitness’s Training Club 24 lets you compete in team workouts that build in intensity every week. Coaches help teams set and meet goals.

• Kids’ Club: Children up to age 12 can attend the Kids’ Club, which features CPR- and First Aid-certified attendants, a fast and secure check-in process and active play. Members can purchase single Kids’ Club visits or add monthly payments to their membership plans.

• Best for: fitness novices, athletes, fitness buffs and parents.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs