1.15/5

1312 24 Hour Fitness Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 17, 2019

If you're looking for a gym to join, this isn't it. This place is dirty. The men's locker room smells like a sewer with drains backing up. The drain covers are also rusted. In some places, the wall tiles don't meet the floor so there are gaps in the wall. Electrical outlets don't work, Some individual lockers look like they haven't been cleaned since the 1960s. This place looks like it's been around since the 1960s; lighting is substandard and it has a dingy look. As for the equipment, it is old and some of it doesn't work smoothly or at all. The workout floor is also dirty and the GM seems more worried about other things than keeping this place up to date or even clean. There are other places in Thousand Oaks that deserve your hard earned money and will work hard to be fit for it, too. 24 hour is UNFIT.

Original review: July 17, 2019

I was extremely excited about joining 24 Hour Fitness, until I found out that they did not value me as a customer, but cared about what money they could get from me. I was manipulated into signing up for personal training sessions I did not even want. I was told that my first month would be waived, that did not happen. After I signed up, which was halfway through my tour of the facility, the general manager did not care to administer showing me the rest of the facility. I had to ask the personal trainer to show me the rest. After some thought I decided to adjust my membership, taking out the personal training, thereby having a refund to reflect the change. I called a couple days after signing up and was told they would get back to me, also I sent an email and they did not respond to either.

As a result, I had to take my personal time to go to the facility in Parsippany to speak with the manager. Due to not receiving any form of response, I decided to cancel my membership in full. The manager stated I would get a full refund, then handed and emailed me a confirmation. The confirmation stated the I will receive a full amount for my membership and personal training. I only received the deposit of $10.00. I called this morning asking why I did not receive the full amount. The receptionist said they would get back to me, and of course they did not. I did not feel valued as a customer and comfortable working out at this facility. I believe they were very unprofessional in handling the situation.

Get expert buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 17, 2019

I would strongly advise no one join 24 Hour Fitness in Parsippany. The manager is extremely rude, pushy and unprofessional. All he appeared to care about was extorting money from me and trying to push personal training I didn't even want. I can't speak for the other workers, but this organization is run by a bunch of scumbag low life sales people. DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR TIME OR MONEY!! If could give no stars I would!

Original review: July 16, 2019

After being a member for almost 40 years, I recommended club to many. But now they hide behind "saving environment and green excuse" to discontinue the towel service in super-sport clubs. It's nothing but Absolute GREED and a LIE. There is no way it’s more energy efficient and green to have thousands of people from every gym wash their towels versus one industrial unit per gym doing the towels. WHAT A WASTE OF WATER AND ELECTRICITY.

Original review: July 12, 2019

Called to cancel my membership in Feb 2019. Months later in June discovered they were still deducting my account the monthly membership fee. I call the club was a member of and they said they had no record of it, but would cancel June 8, 2019. Then on June 10, 2019, they deducted $49.99 out of my bank account. I called back again to my local club and they assured me that I'd get a refund within two weeks. Over two weeks later, still no refund. I called them again and they referred me to call the Customer Service number which I did and spent over an hour on the phone with them. They told me I couldn't get a refund on the $49.99, so I've paid for a yearly membership without being able to use it....Worst company ever! Stay far away....

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 24 Hour Fitness?

Original review: July 8, 2019

Honestly this is the GYM of AT&T with hidden fees and also even though I did called to cancel the membership the customer service guy did not cancel my account and only froze it. And when I'm out of the country I check my bank account and I have an Annual Fee for which I had no idea. They are all full of crap and of course when you call them they tell you it's NON REFUNDABLE, that means I just donated $49.99 to 24 HOUR FITNESS for not even going to their gym, and honestly they are the worst gym. They don't even provide towels anymore, the bathrooms are always dirty. Never again in my life I will be joining that gym ever again.

Original review: July 6, 2019

Classic bait and switch! They put me under a one year contract and then started to lower their service level. Broken equipment and amenities. They reduced steam room hours and now they removed their towel service. Every half decent gym now offer towel service. Next, bring your shampoo and soap. And this is a so-called freaking "super sport" centre.

Original review: June 25, 2019

Allow me to preface this with a very important statement: I have never left a negative review for a company in my life--I am here now--do with that information what you will. So I have been using 24 for about a year. I made sure to not enter a contract, so I would be able to cancel at any time. What a joke. It does not matter how or what you say to this company, they will make it an absolutely impossibility to cancel your account or prevent a payment. Last month, (May 2019) I called in to ask to cancel the subscription. I wasn't using the services anymore and I was sick of paying $45/month (VASA is $20/mo and waaaay nicer). So the lady on the phone tells me she cannot cancel my services over the phone (sigh). Okay, here is the first mistake; you have clients, WHO ARE GIVING OVER THEIR HARD EARNED CASH TO YOU EVERY MONTH, and you make them have to literally hunt and find a way to stop giving you their money?

So I hang up on her, because there is no point for a customer service line if they can not assist with billing. She told me to either go into a club or send an email. It was 10 days before the next payment was due, so I figured I would just send an email. I knew I did not want to give them any more of my valuable time or money. The guy gets back and says "I can temporarily freeze the account, or cancel it entirely. REPLY TO THIS EMAIL WITH WHAT ACTION YOU WOULD LIKE ME TO TAKE." So what do I reply? "Please cancel this account. Thank you."

10 days pass. 24 Hour Fitness charges my debit card $45. I email back and say that I am pissed off and want a refund. No response. I call, but because it is after 5pm it is "after business hours". This is like the second or third mistake, although I can't be sure..this company truly ** sucks. I get an email a couple days later asking me how my customer experience was. If I sound mad now, you can only imagine what I said in that survey. Unfortunately, I have a job and family and friends so I slowly pushed this issue to the depths of my limbic system.

Here we are at the end of June. The payment was due today. I went into a club to cancel, yesterday. I have calmed down because it has been a month (Keep in mind I was charged for this last month and only went once). So I go in and ask for the manager. Out comes a small man with a frat haircut who looks like he has never once used his facilities equipment. He tells me "there is no point in cancelling, the payment process has already begun". This is mistake 15. This is the most atrocious client interaction I have ever been apart of. I didn't yell at him. I actually think the guy was too stupid to understand how ** ridiculous what he said was.

So what do I do? I walk out. I drive to the bank. And I CANCEL MY DEBIT CARD. I swear to God this is the only way to keep this criminal excuse of a company from stealing your money. I am not even in a contract. I pay monthly...and I had to cancel my debit card to stop them from stealing from me after two months of asking them to stop stealing from me. As you can tell, I am unhappy with company. My heart is filled with hate for their processes. I will do anything and everything in my power to stop anybody in my life from ever walking through their doors. DO NOT GIVE THIS COMPANY YOUR PAYMENT INFORMATION.

Original review: June 25, 2019

I joined the 24 Hour Fitness Super Sport because it had more "perks" than the other clubs. One of those perks was towel service and when I registered I was told by the salesperson that that's one of the reasons I'm paying extra, to get towel service. It was used as a selling point during registration. I'm definitely willing to pay extra for extra perks, but now they are getting rid of the towel service, which I can deal with. But then I receive an e-mail thanking me for being a member and my membership dues are going up. This does not make sense.

If a customer is paying extra for a service, once the service is removed then the customer should no longer be paying that extra money. They will potentially be saving thousands of dollars a year by getting rid of this service BUT they will increase my membership dues? AND selling the towels now too. I e-mailed 24 Hour Fitness and received a generic email that did nothing to resolve any issues. Their customer service is horrible and this is unfair to the customers.

Original review: June 20, 2019

Automatically charging a credit card for a non-refundable fee without any type of notification or alert to the consumer is unacceptable. Did I sign a document 4 years ago authorizing my monthly membership? Yes but how am I to remember a yearly non-refundable fee would be charged from a document I signed years ago. It should at least be a courtesy every time they bill your account. Unacceptable.

Original review: June 20, 2019

It is not very old but everything is broken. The pool heater does not work. The hot tub does not work. The hot tub has been down for 2 weeks already. Then they raised their prices....What !!! The management does not seem to care. It's all just funny to them.

Original review: June 19, 2019

I'm a customer for more than 5 or even 7 years, so long that I don't even remember. I had auto-payment set up monthly so I wouldn't miss a payment. So today I noticed that they haven't been collecting payment since January which is about 6 months from now. I called them to verify if my account is active, and they told me it was temporarily terminated but can be reactivated only if I pay what I owe. I am perfectly fine with paying for the payment they didn't collect. What pissed me off is they want to reinstate me as a new member for like $44, when I've been paying like $24. They can't bridge me because it has been more than 90 days.

She asked me what happen to the card that was set on auto payment. Then it hit me it was declared stolen because I was robbed and ended up in the hospital for a month (cervical spinal injury, which left me immobile from neck down). She asked didn't I get notification from them, after I explained the reason. I gave a "No" answer. 24 Hour Fitness had never send out or call me for anything in years. She apologized then offer to check on it for me. She came back and apologized to me that they didn't reach out to me and that there is nothing they can do. It's customer responsibility to keep up with payment, and they don't notify patient on late payment. **!! Total **!! They are so fast on terminating my contract to make me pay more for a new contract, and on top of that they want me to pay off the balance that is pending.

I asked to transfer me to the manager to file a formal complaint because I don't want to vent out on her any further when she is just representing this ** company. She told me she have a manager to talk to me and to place me on hold. Guess what, they hanged me up in less than a minute. I call them back, but the wait time is 20 minutes now. I waited 10 minutes to hear this ** from them, and now they want me to wait 20 minutes. THEY SHOULD KNOW BETTER TO CALL ME BACK. My cousin told me, you can get cheaper deal getting it through Costco. I told her this is principle. Why should I even sign up again when they want me to pay the balance (which I agreed to because it's fair, but you can't raise the monthly rate on me).

Original review: June 6, 2019

24 Hour Fitness going downhill fast. They remove the towel service members pay for claiming in their environmental impact conscientiousness. All that does is switch the laundry to the members. There is no difference in impact to the environment. It's either 24 Hour Fitness does the laundry or the members do the laundry. For myself who works out early in the morning and then goes and works at 10 plus our shift, now I have to keep a wet towel in my car all day long. Probably going to have mold issues now thanks to 24-hours business model failure. Lessening services is never successful. It just makes a competition look that much more appealing and of value.

Original review: June 4, 2019

24 Hour Fitness is hungry for money and have the worst customer service starting from people at the front desk in a club and up to central customer service. First, you have no way to sign up online because your request will be under review which will never be completed. We asked for a personal trainer session and when we showed up, the trainer was not there because he was not aware of having a session and no one could notify him or us to coordinate it. For each detail, you need to actually come to the club where you got your membership which is ridiculous in the 21st century. Customer service over the phone is a joke, it took the representative 30 min to understand that I want to cancel my membership, I was on hold when she needed to process every question and as a result, she did not help to find the way to solve the problem.

A personal trainer was not very professional, I left with pounding headache every time. Yoga classes are either in the morning or late in the evening with "digital experience" classes at more convenient times. There is not enough place to stretch and exercise before you go to the machines. Also, when we signed up, we were told that we can go to any 24 Hour Fitness club. In fact, there are different types of memberships and I found out about it when I was stopped at the front desk at one of the clubs going to a class that I attended a week ago without any problems. The manager told me I have to pay $10 additionally to my membership to be able to attend that particular facility.

Feels like the only thing 24 Hour Fitness cares about is money. Information about memberships being withheld, there is a complex process to discontinue the membership even when a year membership is over. Customers have no power or control over their memberships or any matters with 24 Hour Fitness. Please, save your money, time and energy and go to a more decent place.

Original review: May 23, 2019

The discontinuation of the towels at the 24 Hour Fitnesses in Pelham Manor is really upsetting. I rather join Planet Fitness for less money and take my own towel. Hope every member at Pelham Manor can file a complaint regarding the discontinuation of the towels.

Original review: May 10, 2019

Reps are trained to deceive you. They only tell you parts of the policy. The club showers are not maintained well. And the equipment is also poorly maintained. They are good at taking your money though. And when you call customer service, be ready to be on hold for a long time.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I have had a great experience as a member of 24 Hour Fitness. I love the Zumba and Yoga classes. For me, it has been great! However, I feel that the gym was dishonest about bringing a guest to Zumba for the week after Cinco De Mayo. The instructors said that you could bring a guest for free to the Inspire Dance Festival Zumba classes. What the GYM didn't say, was that you can bring a friend as long as that friend signs up for the free one week trial. I thought that was very sneaky and dishonest of them. I had even called to make sure that I could bring a guest to Zumba and they said yes. They should have been more forthcoming saying, yes, as long as they sign up for the free one week trial. And they should have communicated that with the Zumba instructors as well so that they weren't unintentionally giving false information. Anyway, I am overall satisfied with this gym and love the classes, but I don't appreciate dishonesty.

Original review: May 6, 2019

I have NEVER seen a fitness business so sales hungry as this one! They harassed you every single day, I was ONLY looking to see about a price for myself and someone else in which "Josh" asked me about her name and phone number, they were NOT supposed to call her but then guess what!!! They were harassing her too! Like WTF? Who does that? Just for a damn sale?

Original review: May 6, 2019

Instant disappointment as I walked in the building. To spend an hour playing basketball with an old friend and his dad who is a member of this gym, I had no choice but to pay $25. While I enjoyed the camaraderie with them on the court, I was disgusted by the greed that is my only impression of the business. A caregiver for a family member has little opportunity to see the outside world, but this surprise gave me one less thing to look forward to when I can ever get away.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I signed up for a year membership and made very clear it should not extend past the year as I was moving out of state. They charged me for 6 months after that point. When I caught this on my bill, I called in. Initially the person said they would refund me and cancel the membership. Then a GM called me and said they would not refund any of it because it's their policy to be month to month. I told them "I haven't been once in over 6 months and you won't refund me any of that?" Nope. They don't care, they'd rather my unjustified money than a lifelong customer. Well, now I know that I'll be using LA Fitness moving forward. I hope 24 Hour is happy stealing pennies rather than keeping customers happy for years of business. Never again will I give this company a dollar.

Original review: April 23, 2019

Called to cancel membership prior to auto renewal and got talked into the membership freeze product - Agent said there were no fees, until an email shows up much later with annual and monthly fees. Called again to fully cancel but too late, annual fees not reversible same with a $12 monthly freeze charge. A total Scam, 24hr Fitness management should be ashamed to promote this product!

Original review: April 23, 2019

24 Hour Fitness charged me $34.09 a month for 2 YEARS without me knowing it — money hungry corporation who takes advantages of the military. I called and spoke with the members dept, and they didn't want to help.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I called on 3/7/19 to upgrade membership since I was planning to move to an area with a Super Sport Club. I was charged on 3/8 $62.88 (29.99 for each 1st & last month plus $2.90 prorated amount) and was told monthly billing would occur on 10th of each month. I was emailed an upgrade agreement and was told to sign and to return to Phillip ** at Hawaiian Gardens location which is not the location where I was moving to or intended to visit. I never signed or submitted the upgrade agreement.

Moving was delayed so I called back to cancel the upgrade on 3/25 and was told I'd receive a credit of $19.99 and could go to the Super Sport until 4/20. They insisted I go to the Hawaiian Gardens location to submit the agreement. Yesterday I called and spoke to a friendly manager at this location and he said there is no Phillip ** at that location and I asked if they generally charge without a signed contract which he said no.

I called 800-432-6348 and was on hold for 32 minutes without anyone answering. I called back this morning and waited for about 10 minutes until Daishan answered my call. I asked how could my credit card be charged without a signed agreement and she said since I provided my credit card it's why it was done and then my call suddenly was disconnected when I still had questions. I don't understand how they can charge without a signed agreement and why they therefore don't credit me in full especially since I never went to a Super Sport location. It's probably best to go into a location to upgrade rather than do anything over the phone with 24 Hour Fitness.

Original review: April 16, 2019

The Manager Alexander, stating I am making up stories about cancelling my membership But I have stated was honestly. He didn't even let me finish what I was saying. He needs to learn how to talk to their Members. It be nice to learn how to be respectful and understanding the situation what your member is stating. You guys have some kind of attitude in you. Sounding like you guys are the best. Stop jumping into conclusions quickly.

Original review: April 14, 2019

I called the customer service for 24 Hour Fitness to cancel my membership because you can’t do it in person at the gym for some reason. I called sometime last month (in March) to cancel it and they “proceeded” with the process of cancellation. Fast Forward to the beginning of April, I was charged another month. Confused and frustrated I called customer service again asking what happened. Apparently, the person I talked to in March didn’t go through with the process and didn’t cancel my membership. The person I talked to at this point went ahead and apologized, then proceeded to cancel my membership and issued my refund within 3-5 days and also gave me a email confirmation.

6 days later, I give them another call about my refund. After 15-20 mins, the person I was talking to said that I was given the wrong information about the refund process, that it wasn’t going to be in 3-5 days it was going to be 20 BUSINESS DAYS!! That’s equivalent to a whole month. I practically just continued paying my membership at that point. The system won’t refund my money until next month in May. But I guess the good thing is that I can still go until the end of this month... Horrible experience with them, seemed like none of the people I talked to knew what they were doing. I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Hi, I'm regular. I came during the evening when this happened. I'm very disappointed in the "tall ** guy" who works there and his fellow workers. They were extremely rude and making fun of anyone trying to better themselves at the gym. Sounds like a colossal ** to me. I witness them targeting certain people at the gym by making fun of them and laughing out loud. This is so rude and unprofessional. Just keep those thoughts to yourself!! I noticed it was coming from the "tall ** guy experience this. Location: 24 Fitness, 915 Auburn Way N, Auburn, WA 98002

Original review: April 11, 2019

First went to Sky Manhattan location looking to try the gym out. Was told by customer service that they do one day passes. I made a huge trek from Queens on my day off with a friend and was spent 30 minutes looking for parking. Got inside and the membership woman in charge, after waiting another 30 minutes explained that they don’t do one day passes at that location. I told her to call customer service and ask. She said she didn't have time. I told her I am not coming back. She said sign up for 7 day money back trial and if I don't like it, I get my money back. I did that and lo and behold, the hot tub did not work for the week because the tub could not be cooled down. I then went to cancel and we had a long conversation about why I was canceling. Then she tried to get me to stay and said she was sorry that she made the mistake of not giving me a one day pass. Turns out she had no idea they do one day passes and that she screwed up.

Fast forward 6 months later, my family is in Rockland County and I moved back home from Queens. My sister called the local Nanuet NY branch, SUPERSPORT and they said I could be on her plan for 46 dollars. Guy's name is Dan. She drove from work after getting called by Dan to sign me up. She went in and he said that he made a mistake and did not realize they could not do that plan. My sister signed up for the 7 day plan for 46 instead of one month plan for 100 and the GM said that he would get back to her. She sent him messages and no response from him. I am looking to do whatever I can to tell as high up the chain about these horrible experiences.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I am a woman (since birth) and recently experienced a male thinking he is a woman in the women's locker room at 24 Hour Fitness Santa Rosa, CA. At the front desk we were told it is the law to allow transgenders in our locker room even though they have a unisex bathroom. During spring break there were also several young female teenagers (as young as12 yrs old) present and fully unclothed after using the pool. Mind you that the mothers of these children are unaware of the policy at this establishment. What can we do to have management either change the policy and make this person use the unisex bathroom or have all locker rooms have private showers and bathrooms to ensure our gender rights as well?

Original review: April 9, 2019

I paid for a personal Trainer, I'm a local truck driver, so it's kind of tough to make a schedule. I got a trainer, cause I wanted to find exercises I could do in my truck and start taking classes again when I'm able. Well I went through 3 trainers and still had sessions left. Which they were nice. I had a day off and decided to come to the gym and try the exercises my 3rd trainer sent me, but I needed help to remember them all. I asked for help, I had the exercises on my my phone and no one would help me with them. I felt let down, your motto says, "we are committed to help you meet your goals on your time." Well that didn't happen, I canceled my membership with you cause it really bothered me.

Original review: April 5, 2019

This company builds a new gym in Castle Rock and call it a "Super Sport" to gauge the people in Castle Rock. The gym is smaller and has less amenities than "Super Sports" in the general area and is smaller than "Sport" gyms 15 miles away. They will not let you bring your kids in without charging a day fee of $30. How is this supposed to help our youth avoid obesity and teach them good habits. If I wasn't paying $4/month for life, for my wife and I, I would cancel tomorrow but knowing that they would love me to cancel my membership in favor of overcharging someone else, I will be keeping it until I die.

24 Hour Fitness expert review by Joey Thurman

24 Hour Fitness offers over 400 gym locations in 13 states, including California, Colorado, Florida, Hawaii, Maryland, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Texas, Utah, Washington and Virginia.

• GX24 classes: 24 Hour Fitness offers group exercise classes in four categories: Burn, Intensity, Strength and Bliss. Each class is taught by a trained instructor and offers motivation and community to help you meet your fitness goals.

• Fit:Perks Rewards: Members can sign up for the free Fit:Perks Rewards program, which allows you to earn points for working out and participating in 24 Hour Fitness’s social media channels. Points are redeemable for sweepstakes entries, giveaways, discounts and promotions.

• My24 app: 24 Hour Fitness helps you stay organized to reach your fitness goals with its My24 app. The app allows you to view updated class schedules, join challenges, set and conquer goals, link other fitness apps and wearable devices and more.

• Training Club 24: For clients who enjoy competition, 24 Hour Fitness’s Training Club 24 lets you compete in team workouts that build in intensity every week. Coaches help teams set and meet goals.

• Kids’ Club: Children up to age 12 can attend the Kids’ Club, which features CPR- and First Aid-certified attendants, a fast and secure check-in process and active play. Members can purchase single Kids’ Club visits or add monthly payments to their membership plans.

• Best for: fitness novices, athletes, fitness buffs and parents.

Profile picture of Joey Thurman
Joey Thurman Fitness and Nutrition Expert

Joey Thurman is a nationally recognized and spin certified health, fitness, nutrition expert and television host He is the author of "365 Health and Fitness Hacks That Could Save Your Life." His work has been featured in publications such as Men’s Health, U.S. News and World Report, NPR, People Magazine, Shape, NY Post, Fitness Magazine, ‪Women's Health and many more.

24 Hour Fitness Company Information