Lose weight for good. How much can you lose?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

1.18/5

1317 24 Hour Fitness Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

I was a member of the club from past two year but every time I signed into the club, the customer service was very rude and unprofessional. On 9/12, I signed in and had a very rough conversation with the assistant general manager. The conversation was very rough that I had to call the cops to mediate. I cancel my membership and now they are refusing to refund the balance. I suggest not to join 24 Hour Fitness. Thanks. Pradeep **

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

This place runs scams!! I signed up for a month to month contract on a small keypad and no copy was provided to me at the time nor via email. Upon joining I was asked if I wanted an annual contract and I specifically stated to the employee that "I did not want a yearly contract". Today I noticed an additional charge in my bank acct from 24 Hour Fitness. I called customer service and the rep proceeded to tell me that I was charged for my annual fee in addition to my monthly fee. I was NEVER informed of an annual fee when I was toured and presented with the information! Nor was the contract visible on the keypad that I was signing. I explained all of this to the representative, she continued to state that my contract was emailed to me. I searched my email and the only thing that was emailed was a copy of the receipt. She then emailed my 11 page contract during our conversation.

This is the first time that I am seeing the contract and I searched my email multiple times and it was never emailed in June. Upon joining I was only given a receipt for my payment. I paid initiation fee, 1st and last month, and was informed that if I needed to cancel then the month would be covered because I paid the last month upfront. I stated to the rep, that I wanted to cancel my membership. Now, the rep is saying that if I cancel my "ANNUAL" membership (which I never chose), that I will be charged an insane amount of fees!!! I once again explained that I never chose an annual, I chose month to month. She proceeded to state that although I chose "month to month" it is an annual contract and that everyone is informed of this when they are signing up!!

I stated to the rep, that unfortunately since she was not present when I was signing up then she cannot really speak on what was said at that time. However, I was present and I know that all of this was never explained to me. What kind of scam are they pulling?? 24 hour Fitness is doing bad business and it seems to be a common practice based on the reviews that I have read! I have requested a manager to contact me.

Get expert buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

When I signed up I was made promises at a club location but not given a copy of the contract. When I got the contract emailed to me that evening it differed from what I had been told. In less than 24 hours I went to the corporate office to cancel my contract. 24 Hour Fitness personnel, other than the receptionist, refused to talk directly with me, had the receptionist place me in a room and talked with me only by phone. The company representative tried to make me not cancel; but, since it hadn't been over 24 hours she finally agreed. They also refused to remove my fingerprint from their system. In my opinion don't trust the company.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

1800 customer service for membership poor, 15 minute wait, then got disconnected and they didn't call me back. 2nd call 30 minute wait and couldn't didn't want to help. You know those customer service people that constantly say "no". It's that moment you realize, you got my money and you are not valued. Many many years of constantly buying memberships, 2-3 year memberships at a time, and one call I make for help and nothing "can't do anything for you". Good- 24 hour gym, all kinds of equipment, hot tub, pool - awesome. Bad- not all that clean, light bulbs always out, bathrooms poorly cleaned in most places and not efficiently thought out.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

Hi, I am writing review of 24 Hour Fitness 39300 Paseo Padre Pkwy, Fremont, CA 94538. Please don't join into this club. It's very dirty, restrooms not cleaned very smelly. I have added my friend on April 4th into the club. He came just one day after that he never came to the gym. So we cancelled his account in April but 24 Hour Fitness club guys still deducting my money from my account. I have told them so many times to cancel his account but they said it cancelled but still charging money from my account. It's cheating. They don't know how to cancel the membership. They don't give any proof of cancellation. Please if you want to cancel your membership be careful and ask proof of cancellation. It's worst maintenance and all equipments are old and all machines are old. Please don't join into this club. Not recommended.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 24 Hour Fitness?

Original review: July 17, 2019

If you're looking for a gym to join, this isn't it. This place is dirty. The men's locker room smells like a sewer with drains backing up. The drain covers are also rusted. In some places, the wall tiles don't meet the floor so there are gaps in the wall. Electrical outlets don't work, Some individual lockers look like they haven't been cleaned since the 1960s. This place looks like it's been around since the 1960s; lighting is substandard and it has a dingy look. As for the equipment, it is old and some of it doesn't work smoothly or at all. The workout floor is also dirty and the GM seems more worried about other things than keeping this place up to date or even clean. There are other places in Thousand Oaks that deserve your hard earned money and will work hard to be fit for it, too. 24 hour is UNFIT.

Original review: July 17, 2019

I was extremely excited about joining 24 Hour Fitness, until I found out that they did not value me as a customer, but cared about what money they could get from me. I was manipulated into signing up for personal training sessions I did not even want. I was told that my first month would be waived, that did not happen. After I signed up, which was halfway through my tour of the facility, the general manager did not care to administer showing me the rest of the facility. I had to ask the personal trainer to show me the rest. After some thought I decided to adjust my membership, taking out the personal training, thereby having a refund to reflect the change. I called a couple days after signing up and was told they would get back to me, also I sent an email and they did not respond to either.

As a result, I had to take my personal time to go to the facility in Parsippany to speak with the manager. Due to not receiving any form of response, I decided to cancel my membership in full. The manager stated I would get a full refund, then handed and emailed me a confirmation. The confirmation stated the I will receive a full amount for my membership and personal training. I only received the deposit of $10.00. I called this morning asking why I did not receive the full amount. The receptionist said they would get back to me, and of course they did not. I did not feel valued as a customer and comfortable working out at this facility. I believe they were very unprofessional in handling the situation.

Original review: July 17, 2019

I would strongly advise no one join 24 Hour Fitness in Parsippany. The manager is extremely rude, pushy and unprofessional. All he appeared to care about was extorting money from me and trying to push personal training I didn't even want. I can't speak for the other workers, but this organization is run by a bunch of scumbag low life sales people. DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR TIME OR MONEY!! If could give no stars I would!

Original review: July 16, 2019

After being a member for almost 40 years, I recommended club to many. But now they hide behind "saving environment and green excuse" to discontinue the towel service in super-sport clubs. It's nothing but Absolute GREED and a LIE. There is no way it’s more energy efficient and green to have thousands of people from every gym wash their towels versus one industrial unit per gym doing the towels. WHAT A WASTE OF WATER AND ELECTRICITY.

Original review: July 12, 2019

Called to cancel my membership in Feb 2019. Months later in June discovered they were still deducting my account the monthly membership fee. I call the club was a member of and they said they had no record of it, but would cancel June 8, 2019. Then on June 10, 2019, they deducted $49.99 out of my bank account. I called back again to my local club and they assured me that I'd get a refund within two weeks. Over two weeks later, still no refund. I called them again and they referred me to call the Customer Service number which I did and spent over an hour on the phone with them. They told me I couldn't get a refund on the $49.99, so I've paid for a yearly membership without being able to use it....Worst company ever! Stay far away....

24 Hour Fitness expert review by Joey Thurman

24 Hour Fitness offers over 400 gym locations in 13 states, including California, Colorado, Florida, Hawaii, Maryland, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Texas, Utah, Washington and Virginia.

• GX24 classes: 24 Hour Fitness offers group exercise classes in four categories: Burn, Intensity, Strength and Bliss. Each class is taught by a trained instructor and offers motivation and community to help you meet your fitness goals.

• Fit:Perks Rewards: Members can sign up for the free Fit:Perks Rewards program, which allows you to earn points for working out and participating in 24 Hour Fitness’s social media channels. Points are redeemable for sweepstakes entries, giveaways, discounts and promotions.

• My24 app: 24 Hour Fitness helps you stay organized to reach your fitness goals with its My24 app. The app allows you to view updated class schedules, join challenges, set and conquer goals, link other fitness apps and wearable devices and more.

• Training Club 24: For clients who enjoy competition, 24 Hour Fitness’s Training Club 24 lets you compete in team workouts that build in intensity every week. Coaches help teams set and meet goals.

• Kids’ Club: Children up to age 12 can attend the Kids’ Club, which features CPR- and First Aid-certified attendants, a fast and secure check-in process and active play. Members can purchase single Kids’ Club visits or add monthly payments to their membership plans.

• Best for: fitness novices, athletes, fitness buffs and parents.

Profile picture of Joey Thurman
Joey Thurman Fitness and Nutrition Expert

Joey Thurman is a nationally recognized and spin certified health, fitness, nutrition expert and television host He is the author of "365 Health and Fitness Hacks That Could Save Your Life." His work has been featured in publications such as Men’s Health, U.S. News and World Report, NPR, People Magazine, Shape, NY Post, Fitness Magazine, ‪Women's Health and many more.

24 Hour Fitness Company Information