1.51/5

1280 24 Hour Fitness Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 13, 2019

They supposedly do hourly cleanups, but the place is almost always a mess. Trainers harass you whenever you train in a group or alone by yourself. 30-day refund policy - as in, if you freeze your account closer than 3 business days from the due date they only promise to refund you if it's before 30 days are up. 26 days, Still no refund. No way to expedite either, despite having been a 3-year member.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I changed my debit card & forgot to update it with 24 (100% my responsibility). They didn't call to remind me at all. 3 months later I had accrued a fee of $169. I called member services, explained my mistake & made a payment of $50. I explicitly stated that I was not reactivating my membership & would continue to make payments. The agent understood & then asked if I wanted to update my card to make future payments more convenient. At no point during the phone call did I consent to renewing my membership nor was I informed of that company policy. I consented to updating my information for the sole purpose of paying the cancellation fee.

Today, 3/1 they drafted $149.99 from my account without my authorization. I called membership services & explained the situation. Their response was essentially their company policy was to reactivate the membership because the card was updated. They offered to refund $39.99 in 20 days after a 30+ minute phone call. I had to return to work & will continue to attempt to explain their mistake. I will update later if I am able but as of now, I'm out $150 because of a company policy I did not consent to not was informed of. Completely unacceptable.

Get expert buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

They don’t care when they clean or who’s in the way. If there’s PAYING customers using the sauna, why open the door and start cleaning? Why not wait until there are no PAYING customers in there. It’s very rude and inconsiderate!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

Terri or coach T - horrible human being. This woman thinks she’s god's gift to the world. She should not be teaching any classes. This woman gets in my face again and lays a hand on me she will never teach anywhere again. I'll have her in jail so fast and already consulted with my best friend who is a attorney about this lousy POS human being. No one likes her. She walks into a class most of us walk out. Then my friends who stay say she sits there and talks ** on everyone. She must be so miserable in her life she has to make everyone feel same.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I have been a Member with 24 Hour Fitness for 16 years. Paid my initiation for a long term contract that would then be only 25 per years paid annually each June. They sent me info a few years back to pay online. This last year they canceled my membership due to nonpayment. They never contacted me one time to tell me the payment never processed, and of course since it never processed I have no record. The only ones to gain obviously are 24 Hour Fitness by canceling my membership with no late notice. They had my address, phone and email and never bothered to tell me there was an issue. Obviously it is not in their interest to inform me because I was only paying 25 annually at this point of my contract. Horrible business tactics and consumer fraud as to let my membership of many years cancel without one warning.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 24 Hour Fitness?

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I joined this 24 Hour Fitness gym back 10 years ago. They were charging Initiation fee and monthly fee. Now they charge Initiation fee, monthly fee plus an annual membership fee. My fiancee also joined 24 Hour Fitness. She pays her monthly fees 37.00 on time fees. Now they want the annual fee 49.00. They did not let her into the gym even though she had satisfied payment of monthly fee. They told her the annual fee was due. Not to enter and pay immediately!!! In a very rude and disrespectful manner not even to use the restroom. They were very unprofessional. This was from the management at location in Santa Fe Springs California on Feb 8 2019. Poor management and ethics.

I have years of loyalty to this company based in Irvine CA. I will discontinue my business with this 24 hour gym and go with a gym that is fair and reasonable with the members who want my business. I don't recommend this place... for a workout. They need to get things changed fast because who knows how many people they are treating and raising the rates every quarter.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

So me and my Gf go to the 24 Hour by our house in Orange County by Disneyland. We went in a couple weeks ago and when I signed in it was fine, when my Gf signed in, to said speak to representative. So we did. They said, "It’s strange. All the info was correct, just go in. It’s fine." So we did, come back in a few days, later same thing. So we missed a little over a week because we went on vacation. We come back same thing happened again, this time I said what is going on. Everything is paid, why is it giving her issues. It turns out that somebody changed her phone number and her fingerprint information to somebody else’s in Sacramento, the Capitol and McKeesport Gym.

We were shocked, how did this even happen, the only way to change that is to talk to a representative and give them your email, phone number, address, date of birth. But nobody has tried to get in her email, nobody tried to fake stuff in her name. No issues of any kind have come up as a result of this. So we work out after the representative changes the number back and puts her fingerprint back for her to sign in. After our workout I ask what gym it was, he said it was at 505 which he didn’t know the actual gym it was, only the managers have access to that. Which seriously you can’t look up to see what corresponding gym the number is.

Well whatever, I call later and speak to customer service, the lady was nice, had a thick accent hard to understand. I explain to her what happened and ask her what club it is, after being put on hold for 15 mins to returns to let me know the club. I say, "Ok how did this happen, when did they add this other person's information and delete my Gf’s?" She says, "I don’t know. The only information I have is the last 6 visits and just your Gf’s info like phone number, address, date of birth, email." So I said, "Basically you cannot see anything," she replies, "Yes basically." So I’m pissed, I ask her if the police come in here with a warrant or a subpoena for access to a certain person information, they would only tell them that they can only see the last 6 times they were here and can’t go back a month or 2, she’s says, "Well I don’t know."

Well bull crap. I know they have that information, I let her know that we signed a contract and agreement, and the fact that a representative and worker for the company, illegally changed the information of my Gf without her being there, puts her personal information at risk and could put her in harm's way, if that person got ahold of her email, phone number, address, and date of birth, not to mention her credit card information. I said, "That is illegal and I could sue you for that, for not properly taking care of your client's personal information," she said, "Oh hold on. Let me see what I can do." So I wait another 20 mins on hold, she comes back, "Sorry for the wait???? So I can put in an escalation for the case at the gym and they can let you know what happened."

I was thinking, "I was on hold for 20 mins so you can tell me that you can tell the other gym to find out what happened." I said, "Ok. Well what does that even mean, what are they going to do." They said, "Well they will find out what happened and call you." I said, "Well can I speak to someone else." She said, "Well yeah. We have someone but they can only see what we see." And her supervisor wasn’t available. So I said, "Fine, do that and send me a copy of our conversation in email form so it overviews what wasn’t said," she never sent that email, and I’m still waiting to hear back from the other Club.

I called them about 10-15 times and they never responded to my calls, so I’m waiting a few days like they said 3-5 and I hope something will come of it. She did admit it was the fault of the other club not doing their job and asking the questions they were supposed to. So At least they admitted they were wrong. Well I hope it works out.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

Have not been able to use the gym for three weeks - Three weeks ago the hot water went and I am madder than a hornet. The only thing I use is the swimming pool. I do not want to go home smelling like chlorine going home. I call every couple of days and all I get is, "We don't know when the new tank is coming in." I am so mad that I am paying for something I cannot use. I miss the swimming. Once my contract is up I will move to another gym.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

My husband and I really loved this gym when we lived near one in Hawaii. We paid $100/month for the both of our memberships, including the $20 or so Kid's club fees. We were able to receive 2 hours of child care a day, along with classes. I loved the cycling classes and the facilities were nice. The staff was always friendly and I convinced many people to join because of my experiences. It was easy to cancel once I had to PCS for the military, and I am pretty sad there is no gym in Maryland near me. Great gym, with great workers!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

WORST CLUB EVER!!! I joined at a popup tent that was advertising club. I never got contract just a flyer. No one told me if I canceled there would be a $300 charge for canceling before 12 months. My brother then committed suicide and I ended up in hospital for 3 months. I called the club and corporate every month to cancel. They said will have to continue to pay $50. per month or pay early cancellation fee. Every call was noted in computer but the managers that were supposed to call me back never did.

Monthly charges continued to come even though they recognized I have never even been to club as I never set up my check in number. No one offered to freeze my account during any of my calls so I did not even know this was an option. After much frustration and many tears they finally said they would waive early cancellation fee if I get a note from my doctor I have been sick. 24 Hour Fitness will steal your money and smile, drive you crazy, promise you the moon but fail to deliver ethically or in customer service. Don't even bother signing up because you will never get out.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I took my son to 24 Hour Fitness. Try out 3 days, and he like it. So I decided to sign him up for 2 months to try out more. The sale rep (Quinn **) at Kent Washington told us that we can sign up for 2 months. We have to pay the 1st and 2nd month. When we want to cancel we have to cancel the month before and continue to go 1 more month. After 20 days I came and cancel so my son could go one more month. When I cancel, the girl said that I have a commitment one year. So I talked with Quinn and he told me that 2 months is for the 1st and last month payment and I have to paid the remaining 10 months which is $50 a month and that is I owe $500.

My son was there with me and we both didn't hear about any commitment. If there is a commitment there's no way that I sign my son up. He is only 13 and he play sport after school and he don't even drive. How he have time to go to the gym? We make a big fussed and after we videotape the incident and Quinn said that he going to cancel the membership. SCAM SCAM SCAM.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

They first put my account on freeze rather than cancel. When it was automatically reinstated I did not notice that I was paying automatically for 5 months. For reasons beyond my better judgment I kept the account active, took the hit of 250$ and felt lesson learned, have to keep an eye on this company. Well I have since put my account back on freeze twice, both times they tried to just charge me anyway as if nothing ever happened. Each time I called and they acted bewildered as to how this could happen.

This last time they mischarged me was on the 10th, I called, got it cleared up and put my account back on freeze. Two days ago I got yet another mystery charge of $50 not on the primary card I have on file, apparently I gave them another card at some point and they kept it and just charged it without asking. I tried to call customer service and was on hold for 45 min before I had to go. I'm assuming this is the infamous annual service fee I am now learning about from other complaints on this site.

I will be cancelling, I really cannot stand this kind of treatment. This is the epitome of capitalism, you are a wallet to them and nothing more. Bottom line is if you are cancelling with them, make sure your account is indeed cancelled and not on hold or frozen. What happened to me is exactly what they want, a person not even aware they are being charged and not using the facility at all. And I am admittedly not great at checking my account for bogus charges, do keep an eye on this company, I'm now wondering how much they did manage to slip by me. Also just found out that they have been through court for this exact thing back in 2007. So there you have it. 24 Hour Fitness is a very greedy company that is apparently practicing the same shady business that got them in court a decade ago. Shame on them for preying on people's desire to better themselves.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I canceled my son's membership in April 2018 since he went off to college for four years and no longer needed it. On Jan 1st they decided to reactivate his membership and charge me is $50 annual fee + his Jan 2019 monthly fee. I called to ask why and get it credited and they told me it was put on a "freeze" for the remainder of the year. I asked to dispute it because I was sure I canceled it knowing full well he would never use it again and they offered to refund only his monthly dues and not the $50 annual fee. When I told them I wouldn't get off the phone until they refunded me the entire amount the service rep hung up on me!!! Unbelievable. As I write this I'm on hold now for another 20 mins waiting to speak with someone else. If this doesn't work I'll just have my credit card company dispute it for me and go find another gym to join.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Inside the steam room there are several broken tiles. This is very dangerous. The floor on the first row--the tiles are turning black due to the lack of cleaning them. Steam room has been broken for the past several days/Pump room/mechanical room is always open--everybody can have access to the chemicals. Jacuzzi water is yellow. Showers are unclean and improperly maintained. I will call the City of Rockwall health department to get the last temp locks and chemical logs of the jacuzzi and also the logs for the cleaning inside the steam room and showers. Those items need to be addressed ASAP. By answering me on this review and apologizing it will not correct the items above. Several employees gather by the front desk all the time on the second shift instead of maintaining the proper cleaning procedures and keeping up with the pool/jacuzzi water chemical levels.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

I signed up for 24 for 2 months over the summer of 2018, and yes the 1st time was my fault for not canceling so within 1 month after the 2 months, I came in and requested to cancel my membership, the staff provided details that the request was put in for cancellation and that the manager would soon seek to it, then a few weeks went by, and my parents got a bill from 24 Hour that had to be paid.

I then went back, and specifically described my situation, and the women up front specifically told me that the request was put in and said something like, the request has been put it, and the account should be canceled within this week. She gave me a number to call so I can check to see if it was canceled, I didn't bother to call, it was just me being lazy which was my fault. She also explained that I would be REFUNDED, didn't get a notice that I was REFUNDED, I THEN RECEIVED ANOTHER BILL A FEW WEEKS LATER, like seriously wtf? I would hate going back for the THIRD TIME in an attempt to cancel the membership, seriously 24 wth is going on?

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I dislike that I still pay the same price for a service that is taken away from me. There should be a compensation for the service no longer being available. I have been a member over 10 years and this is unacceptable.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I've been swimming at a 24 Hour Fitness facility for four years. To kick off the new year they've negotiated a contract with a new pool management company that closes the pool from 1 to 2 PM, the most convenient time for me to swim. This also means that if I swim at another time around midday the pool will be more crowded and I'll have to wait to get a lane. I've swum in 5 athletic clubs in three states over the past several decades and have never run into a club where the pool was shut down at midday. Company representatives give a lot of unconvincing reasons about why it has to be this way. Basically, the problem seems to be that they don't want to buck the corporate bureaucracy, which is understandable but leaves customers like myself with a problem.

To make matters worse, the pool is unavailable on one day of the week from 11:30 to 12:30 because of an aquacise class, which leaves only 30 minutes for swimming, less than my workout time, before the 1PM shutdown. Corporate management seems to be a problem for 24 Hour Fitness. I know two former trainers who said they quit the company because of it. Like too many companies, when the chips are down, 24 seems to favor furthering their bottom line by cost cutting and marketing over providing good service.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

My 2017 contract ended on October 2018. I haven't used the Gym since August when I asked for my account to be cancelled and I will pay for the remaining months in the contract. I paid the remaining three months and today I was charged $99.99 annual fees. They keep saying they can't refund the annual fees even though I will not use the gym for this year, and I haven't used it for the past 6 months. They are ripping people off by these annual fees and contracts.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I have been a member of 24 Hour Fitness for over 21 years. The place serves its purpose. But... if you’re looking to purchase your first membership and have other choices, I would recommend seriously considering the other options. To give you an idea of their complete lack of business sense and logic - I wanted to add my daughter to my membership. I understand monthly rates have gone up over the last 20 years. Fine. But they also want a $49 annual fee (which they won’t tell you about unless you ask). I figured they’d consider waiving the $49 fee for a family add on linked to a 21-year member. They wouldn’t even consider it. So... they turned away $31.99/month ($384/year) rather than waiving the $49 fee. Not sure if that’s desperation or just plain stupidity.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I can't believe they stopped towel service. I only used towels when I used the pool because I didn't want to carry a wet towel around all day. This totally sucks. Add to that, the Redwood City, CA location does not use paper towels either. The upstairs bathroom is usually a mess with no toilet paper either. Maybe they want us to start bringing our own toilet paper too? The locker room toilets are hit and miss for toilet paper. This gym is not green friendly, it's cheap!

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I used 24 Sport and Super Sport Clubs for close to 20 yrs. I like to swim and a clean towel that I don’t have to bring home makes it work fine. Now no more towel service. Very much a deal breaker for me.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

Despite the multiple heightened calls to corporate, this gym remains the filthiest I have ever seen. I took photos once a week of the same exact urinal and in 2 months it was never cleaned. The same trash on the floor around the urinal was still there. The floors in the locker room do not ever seem to be mopped and it smells like a zoo. The toilets are always covered with urine and paper. The sinks are always broken. There is never soap in the showers or in the sinks which means that people are putting their feces and urine on the weights, which is a major health issue. There are water flies around the water fountains as well as around the wet clothes spinner. The trash and mildew in the showers are endless... and good luck if the shower heads work.

It's so dirty that you need more than flip flops to protect you from catching a disease. Once someone took a dump in the shower and when we approached the front desk they said there was nothing they could do. I have spoken with management multiple times about this and nothing has ever been done. The front desk is a pigpen and the people working there are so unfriendly. The towels are never available and now they say they are no longer offering towels because they are trying to be "eco-friendly". They are disgusting! The machines are always broken and takes months for it to be fixed. 24 Hour Fitness has gone below the bottom level! I'm done!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

So I ended my membership with 24 Hour today. As after 1 full year of paying monthly fees of $32.00 I see on my statement that there is a charge of $49.99. After calling I discover this is a service fee which is required each and every year... What??? Service fees for what? Dirty facilities, broken equipment, workers who are at the front and on phones all day. It's BS, this was not communicated at the time of signing, really? It is all so deceitful and underhanded, with ZERO value, what do loyal members receive for this fee?? Corporations suck, I'll stick with the little local gyms, even if more expensive, Oh, this fee is non refundable, 24 was thinking ahead. Never again, they made their money on me and now will suck the soul dry of new members.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

Today was my second trip to the new Panther Lake, Wa facility. I was hoping that a new gym would offer something of variety. Instead there are too many of the same machines with only about 10% being used by guest. Out of some 15-20 machines that would possibly simulate a cross country ski exercise, not one type actually does. The hot spa had a loose handrail to lead one down into the water. What worse is that all the jets are aimed right at your lower tailbone, and none would target the lumbar region of the spine that you would normally expect! Now who would want a water jet aimed so low? Whoever designed this facility and selected the rows of equipment that offer so few option should be fired. No towels service at all! A brand new gym, wow, what a huge waste of resources. My last trip was today to this new gym, 24 Hour Fitness should change their name to 24 Hour Disappoints!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I go to the gym 3-4 days a week. The staff never greets me when I'm coming or going. They are texting or talking amongst each other. No one ever ask how I'm doing with workouts etc. The one on Alameda and Chambers suck in regards to Customer Service.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I bought the 2 year 24 Hour Fitness membership from Costco in year 2014, I only activated and used it for a couple of months and due to personal reason I needed to move out of county, so I called them to freeze the account and I got this email confirmation (see below), which is clear mentioned that the freeze does not have a scheduled end date and will continue until I notify them to unfreeze or they will notify me if the freeze is coming to an end. I have never got a call from them about the freeze is coming to an end. So now I came back to the state and I called them on 12/11/2018. The representative told me she helped to unfreeze the account and it is active and ready for me to use, then I went to the Monterey Park, CA location on 12/12/2018. The branch manager told me my account has already expired in 2016 two years after I activate the membership, she then told me the membership I bought from Costco cannot be freezed.

I called them today 12/13/2018 to find out what's going on and the representative agent ID no. ** named CHEVOI told me my membership has expired yesterday on 12/12/2018 and he did not see a freeze on my account. These people who work for 24 Hour Fitness all gave me different story, I don't know what's going on with this company. I totally agreed with other reviewers that this company is SUPER SNEAKY and steals money from the members. DO NOT SIGN UP!!! BELOW IS THE FREEZE E-MAIL CONFIRMATION I GOT FROM THEM ON 12/04/2014.

"Thank you for contacting us about your 24 Hour Fitness membership. We always appreciate the opportunity to assist our members. This email confirms that, per your request, your 24 Hour Fitness membership has been placed on an extended freeze effective 12-04-2014.* The freeze placed on your account does not have a scheduled end date, and will continue until you notify us that you wish to unfreeze your membership or 24 Hour Fitness notifies you that your freeze is coming to an end.**

"As stated in the member policies, during the freeze period, you will not be able to access 24 Hour Fitness. When you are ready to reactivate your membership, or if you have any questions, contact us at 1.800.432.6348 or visit your local club and we will be happy to assist you. To view your billing details or manage your membership online, please visit 24hourfitness.com/my24. Helping you reach your fitness goals is important to us, and we look forward to seeing you in the club again soon. Thank you for being a 24 Hour Fitness member."

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I have been a member for 24 Hour Fitness for almost 10 years, as a value customer we expect the best service and at least a clean facility. I come to the location located on Wilshire Blvd and Serrano Ave. Every time I come is always dirty, but today 12/8/18 is the worst, no seat cover in the restroom, trash all over the place, trash can are full of trash, no toilet paper, at least have toilet paper. Very disappointed.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I went on maternity leave in September of this year and my doctor told me in August that I could no longer work out. I called 24 Hour Fitness and requested to have my membership cancelled. Instead, the customer service rep told me I could just freeze it. I thought that would be a good idea and I could come back after my leave if I have time. Well, the guy never froze my account and I was charged through November (and an annual fee of $49 thrown in there too).

I have spoken to FIVE different customer service representatives (2 managers) and have still only been refunded for one month. They told me that I needed to have a doctor's note saying that I had a baby in order to get the rest. My doctor faxed one over to them and still I have seen nothing. The last representative that I spoke to said that the refund was being processed and I should have it in 3-5 business days. It's been 2.5 weeks. This company steals money from good people. I had a baby and they took advantage of my situation.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

The price is ridiculous for what you get. The machines are old and crappy, the "gym" is a miniature version, the class instructors are a joke and the bathrooms/showers are disgusting. How do they charge almost $50 per month for that?!?!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I joined 24 Hour Fitness in November 2016 paying $50/mo. I joined because of the flexibility and $5 child service charge. Shortly after joining, I became a single mom and had to bring my daughter with me. Unfortunately, she has HORRIBLE allergies. I explained to the staff that if she sneezes, it is because of her allergies and no other reason. When she did sneeze, I was approached by a manager who addressed me as her GRANDmother and not her MOTHER. After being HIGHLY offended and explaining yet AGAIN her situation, I was told we had to leave. We did.

In a separate instance, I finally set-up an appointment for my free coach consultation, she cancelled the day of our appointment and I NEVER heard from her again in regards to re-scheduling. Because I am a FULL TIME single Mom, I RARELY had days without her so my use of the gym was extremely limited. Last night (Nov. 19, 2018), I returned with my daughter after SEVERAL months absence. I was told the charge for child care had increased to $10!!! There was NO email or snail mail notification of this change and they refused to make any 1 time accommodation, no grace period. NOTHING. I immediately cancelled my $50 membership and will find a way somewhere else or maybe just an app. The service there is INSANE and the membership costs are ridiculous.

24 Hour Fitness expert review by ConsumerAffairs

24 Hour Fitness offers over 400 gym locations in 13 states, including California, Colorado, Florida, Hawaii, Maryland, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Texas, Utah, Washington and Virginia.

• GX24 classes: 24 Hour Fitness offers group exercise classes in four categories: Burn, Intensity, Strength and Bliss. Each class is taught by a trained instructor and offers motivation and community to help you meet your fitness goals.

• Fit:Perks Rewards: Members can sign up for the free Fit:Perks Rewards program, which allows you to earn points for working out and participating in 24 Hour Fitness’s social media channels. Points are redeemable for sweepstakes entries, giveaways, discounts and promotions.

• My24 app: 24 Hour Fitness helps you stay organized to reach your fitness goals with its My24 app. The app allows you to view updated class schedules, join challenges, set and conquer goals, link other fitness apps and wearable devices and more.

• Training Club 24: For clients who enjoy competition, 24 Hour Fitness’s Training Club 24 lets you compete in team workouts that build in intensity every week. Coaches help teams set and meet goals.

• Kids’ Club: Children up to age 12 can attend the Kids’ Club, which features CPR- and First Aid-certified attendants, a fast and secure check-in process and active play. Members can purchase single Kids’ Club visits or add monthly payments to their membership plans.

• Best for: fitness novices, athletes, fitness buffs and parents.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs