3.9/5 (823 ratings)

About 24 Hour Fitness

24 Hour Fitness Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 24 Hour Fitness?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about 24 Hour Fitness?

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

BEWARE! THIS ESTABLISHMENT IS HORRIBLE! DO NOT VISIT. In October 2019, prior to the COVID pandemic, I had came in to visit since I was interested in the beautiful gym. I had a friend who worked there, a personal trainer who I was going to give a try. I decided to commit and pay for the monthly membership ($50-60) a month a personal training package that cost ($1200).

Fast Forward.... About a week later, I got into a car accident that limited travel between Pennsylvania and New Jersey. I had contacted the gym several times, only to be hung up by everyone who worked there. This left me no option but to come in person. I was furious as I had to drive 2 hours. When arriving, people who worked there were talking about how I couldn't get a refund. In my head I was confused as to why, if I only had 3-5 days that I was just there to make a purchase. Anyways I got to speak with JOE **.

While speaking with him he informed me the process to get the refund, he told me to provide proof of conversation, my ID of residence (since there is no gym location in PA) and statement. All was provided to him that day. Guess what.. Till this day, several emails, phone calls, and action was taken. Every time I call the gym "he is not there", every time I email "There is no response". Their 1800 call centers are closed. I am waiting for a response ASAP and hopefully after they see this, they will REACH OUT because I am upset. I was told by several people to file a legal lawsuit. My conversation with JOE was recorded and all this information was given from him to ME. HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE, This place ROBS your MONEY! I will provide images since I can't upload recording of conversation with JOE. Email will show me being IGNORED. I will then REACH OUT TO BANKS.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

I'm a disabled individual, that suffers from several disabilities, which prevents me to use any type of face-covering during long periods of time. Regardless, and out of respect for others, I use a mask at groceries and any other place that I only have to use for a short period of time. Even at the gym, I use a mask when I'm checking in, and when I move from one machine to the other. But, unfortunately, when I'm at the machine working out, I cannot use anything covering my face. And because I could not use a mask, a face shield, or any other face-covering during my workout, I was denied entrance into the 24 Hours Fitness at Los Olivos Marketplace in Irvine by Ryan, the manager.

When I contact the corporate office, I was told by Jennifer **, and I quote, "If you are disabled, maybe you should consider use one of our workout apps". That is what the United States of America become? The country that I love, respect, and admire. Ms. ** and Ryan told me that the policy was imposed by the city of Irvine, the California Dep. of Public Health, and the OC Health Department. However, after deep research, I find out that what was told by the 2 individuals above was NOT TRUE.

Get buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

I had a personal membership with 24 Hour Fitness and then found out that my company was going to sign up for a corporate membership (which is cheaper and doesn't have an annual renewal fee). I was told by the sales person at the branch that my personal membership would be automatically put on hold when the corporate membership kicked in. That never happened and I am out roughly $200 because of it. The only way to deal with this is to submit your problem through a form on their website. I submitted twice with NO response. Now they have closed my branch and filed for bankruptcy. It's like they are trying to hide any type of record by using a form that doesn't send a copy of the message to the submitter. Never going back to this company, please beware of shady practices.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2020

We are in the middle of a pandemic, people losing jobs or getting salaries reduced, OF COURSE I will not go to the gym facility any time soon, but they continue to charge my card monthly. Horrible service and management.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2020

Here's my story with 24 Hour Fitness (this happened 2016-2017): put in a request to cancel my membership. Representative acknowledges receipt of request. Months go by, I'm still being charged. I call to request a review of the situation: they admit they see that I put in the request, but didn't honor it. Tell me they aren't going to refund me because of some extremely outlier reason (method of cancellation was via phone call; they are hanging on to this fact like it's unacceptable to do it this way; claim I had to do it in person). They can clearly see I did not use the gym for an entire year (they have a daily sign in sheet). I'm out $400+ thanks to this incompetent company.

Original review: July 7, 2020

Been a member for over 20 years and expect better from a company that has been charging me monthly and taking out a membership fee every year. As soon as the pandemic hit they charged my credit card then on 4/5/2020 they charged my credit card. Then again on 7/5/2020, they charged some weird amount that maybe I would not catch. I have tried unsuccessfully to get a hold of them via phone or email or thru their website. They do not answer. So I see this as theft of services.

Plus, Tony Ueber does not perform like a President of a company. He is the main problem they are bankrupt--did anyone read his poorly written letter to all 24-Hour Fitness members? Now, they think we will travel 15-20 miles to a gym they reopen that you must go online to schedule an appointment. Good luck with them returning your email on this one. Plus, their name dictates that they are open 24 hours a day--Wrong. They have banker hours now and think we should let them continue to drain our money every month. Never ever use them again. I am done with this gym. Anything is better than a company that steals from you on a monthly basis and really does not care.

Original review: June 29, 2020

Club is kept in good shape. Most workstations are working. The wet areas when they are open are clean. Josh the manager tries hard to make things work and provide good service. However, the management cannot do too much about loud telephone conversations or the dirty locker rooms. Some people are just nasty in their habits. Since the other clubs are closed, there is a different set of employees

I find some employees have really missed kindergarten when they were given civic lessons. Tonight 6/28 at 835ish the employees were playing hip hop with every other word being the n word. I find it distasteful especially in this climate. When I talked to the two guys at the front desk, they apologised. The bully (young woman) was being a non professional. She does not belong here. I had another experience on Thursday when the spin instructor had the music so loud that I could hear it over my head phone music on the opposite side of the gym. I like loud music when it is private - not at a gym. It cannot be that hard to get employees these days. Corporate needs to fix these problems. The financial situation is no excuse for these behaviors. When I go to the gym, I want to work out, I want my space to be user friendly. The members with loud phones are bad enough but loud music that I dont want to hear is worse.

Original review: June 28, 2020

Due to the ongoing issues with Covid19 and my gym being closed and then open but having to make 1 hour appts. to go. What is this? Shapemakers? I decided to just cancel my membership. I live too far away to only go there for an hour at a time. That is not what I signed up for. I paid a year in advance, so I thought I'd either get a refund for the remaining amount of time or my acct would just stay active until the original contract was up but then would stop. Nope. No refund. They just cut off my membership. So I pay $400, and basically get less than half what I paid for. Um if I knew that was the case I would have just left my membership open. I mean, I Iose all the money anyway.

Why didn't they just tell me this or leave it open until the end date? It should be like paying for a premium movie channel. If you cancel, you get access until the end of the month you paid for, and then no longer have access. I'm beyond pissed off. I wouldn't have canceled if I'd known I lose the money anyway. Now I get absolutely nothing for it. And how is this legal when they're not open the hours they said they would be, when I signed the contract? 1 hour intervals to work out? That's not worth the money I paid. So I guess I'm stuck following their contact but they can make up the rules as they go along.

Original review: April 20, 2020

They keep on charging me and my wife after they closed their doors due to COVID-19. They do not answer the phones, or emails. Hi, I just got charged today. I do not understand why I am being charged when the GYM is closed and has been closed for weeks now. Please refund latest charge ASAP.

Original review: April 20, 2020

Instructors and personnel are the key in my gym. The classes that they offer are spaced throughout the day. There is always personnel available to welcome you in the gym and help you with any questions.

24 Hour Fitness author review by Joey Thurman

24 Hour Fitness offers over 400 gym locations in 13 states, including California, Colorado, Florida, Hawaii, Maryland, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Texas, Utah, Washington and Virginia.

• GX24 classes: 24 Hour Fitness offers group exercise classes in four categories: Burn, Intensity, Strength and Bliss. Each class is taught by a trained instructor and offers motivation and community to help you meet your fitness goals.

• Fit:Perks Rewards: Members can sign up for the free Fit:Perks Rewards program, which allows you to earn points for working out and participating in 24 Hour Fitness’s social media channels. Points are redeemable for sweepstakes entries, giveaways, discounts and promotions.

• My24 app: 24 Hour Fitness helps you stay organized to reach your fitness goals with its My24 app. The app allows you to view updated class schedules, join challenges, set and conquer goals, link other fitness apps and wearable devices and more.

• Training Club 24: For clients who enjoy competition, 24 Hour Fitness’s Training Club 24 lets you compete in team workouts that build in intensity every week. Coaches help teams set and meet goals.

• Kids’ Club: Children up to age 12 can attend the Kids’ Club, which features CPR- and First Aid-certified attendants, a fast and secure check-in process and active play. Members can purchase single Kids’ Club visits or add monthly payments to their membership plans.

by Joey Thurman Fitness and Nutrition Expert

Joey Thurman is a nationally recognized and spin certified health, fitness, nutrition expert and television host He is the author of "365 Health and Fitness Hacks That Could Save Your Life." His work has been featured in publications such as Men’s Health, U.S. News and World Report, NPR, People Magazine, Shape, NY Post, Fitness Magazine, ‪Women's Health and many more.

24 Hour Fitness Company Information