1.48/5

1297 24 Hour Fitness Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

My husband and I really loved this gym when we lived near one in Hawaii. We paid $100/month for the both of our memberships, including the $20 or so Kid's club fees. We were able to receive 2 hours of child care a day, along with classes. I loved the cycling classes and the facilities were nice. The staff was always friendly and I convinced many people to join because of my experiences. It was easy to cancel once I had to PCS for the military, and I am pretty sad there is no gym in Maryland near me. Great gym, with great workers!

Original review: June 11, 2018

My Medicare supplement allows me free membership. I work out 4-5 times a week, once with a Personal Trainer who is spectacular! My only objection is that the "unisex" bathroom is not as well maintained as it should be -- sometimes out of soap, toilet paper, etc., and not as "picked up" as it should be.

Get expert buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 9, 2018

My gym and Fitness Center has been very helpful for me. When I am stressful at work I need to get my mind clear and my body in tune so I use the fitness center. I don't think I can function as well as I do without having the fitness center. It is such a necessity for me although I have equipment on my job to help my job performance. It is always nice to have a second Outlet and which I can keep myself in shape for my health and my job. I am a law enforcement officer and Fitness is one of the things is very very necessary for my line of work.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I have always been a member of LA fitness and I found my location to be filthy at best. Since I have the Silver Sneakers I signed up with 24 Hour Fitness. Very clean and I love the fact it is a gym not a meeting place, no gym, no pool. Just work out in a clean friendly environment.

Original review: May 27, 2018

24 Hour Fitness was a different experience from Retro Fitness, which is more modern and updated with respect to equipment and knowledgeable staff. It's a bit dark inside but that's ok once you get into your groove. My membership is free. My particular trainer, Michael, was on point -- hope the rest are as well.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 24 Hour Fitness?

Original review: May 10, 2019

Reps are trained to deceive you. They only tell you parts of the policy. The club showers are not maintained well. And the equipment is also poorly maintained. They are good at taking your money though. And when you call customer service, be ready to be on hold for a long time.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I have had a great experience as a member of 24 Hour Fitness. I love the Zumba and Yoga classes. For me, it has been great! However, I feel that the gym was dishonest about bringing a guest to Zumba for the week after Cinco De Mayo. The instructors said that you could bring a guest for free to the Inspire Dance Festival Zumba classes. What the GYM didn't say, was that you can bring a friend as long as that friend signs up for the free one week trial. I thought that was very sneaky and dishonest of them. I had even called to make sure that I could bring a guest to Zumba and they said yes. They should have been more forthcoming saying, yes, as long as they sign up for the free one week trial. And they should have communicated that with the Zumba instructors as well so that they weren't unintentionally giving false information. Anyway, I am overall satisfied with this gym and love the classes, but I don't appreciate dishonesty.

Original review: May 6, 2019

I have NEVER seen a fitness business so sales hungry as this one! They harassed you every single day, I was ONLY looking to see about a price for myself and someone else in which "Josh" asked me about her name and phone number, they were NOT supposed to call her but then guess what!!! They were harassing her too! Like WTF? Who does that? Just for a damn sale?

Original review: May 6, 2019

Instant disappointment as I walked in the building. To spend an hour playing basketball with an old friend and his dad who is a member of this gym, I had no choice but to pay $25. While I enjoyed the camaraderie with them on the court, I was disgusted by the greed that is my only impression of the business. A caregiver for a family member has little opportunity to see the outside world, but this surprise gave me one less thing to look forward to when I can ever get away.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I signed up for a year membership and made very clear it should not extend past the year as I was moving out of state. They charged me for 6 months after that point. When I caught this on my bill, I called in. Initially the person said they would refund me and cancel the membership. Then a GM called me and said they would not refund any of it because it's their policy to be month to month. I told them "I haven't been once in over 6 months and you won't refund me any of that?" Nope. They don't care, they'd rather my unjustified money than a lifelong customer. Well, now I know that I'll be using LA Fitness moving forward. I hope 24 Hour is happy stealing pennies rather than keeping customers happy for years of business. Never again will I give this company a dollar.

Original review: April 23, 2019

Called to cancel membership prior to auto renewal and got talked into the membership freeze product - Agent said there were no fees, until an email shows up much later with annual and monthly fees. Called again to fully cancel but too late, annual fees not reversible same with a $12 monthly freeze charge. A total Scam, 24hr Fitness management should be ashamed to promote this product!

Original review: April 23, 2019

24 Hour Fitness charged me $34.09 a month for 2 YEARS without me knowing it — money hungry corporation who takes advantages of the military. I called and spoke with the members dept, and they didn't want to help.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I called on 3/7/19 to upgrade membership since I was planning to move to an area with a Super Sport Club. I was charged on 3/8 $62.88 (29.99 for each 1st & last month plus $2.90 prorated amount) and was told monthly billing would occur on 10th of each month. I was emailed an upgrade agreement and was told to sign and to return to Phillip ** at Hawaiian Gardens location which is not the location where I was moving to or intended to visit. I never signed or submitted the upgrade agreement.

Moving was delayed so I called back to cancel the upgrade on 3/25 and was told I'd receive a credit of $19.99 and could go to the Super Sport until 4/20. They insisted I go to the Hawaiian Gardens location to submit the agreement. Yesterday I called and spoke to a friendly manager at this location and he said there is no Phillip ** at that location and I asked if they generally charge without a signed contract which he said no.

I called 800-432-6348 and was on hold for 32 minutes without anyone answering. I called back this morning and waited for about 10 minutes until Daishan answered my call. I asked how could my credit card be charged without a signed agreement and she said since I provided my credit card it's why it was done and then my call suddenly was disconnected when I still had questions. I don't understand how they can charge without a signed agreement and why they therefore don't credit me in full especially since I never went to a Super Sport location. It's probably best to go into a location to upgrade rather than do anything over the phone with 24 Hour Fitness.

Original review: April 16, 2019

The Manager Alexander, stating I am making up stories about cancelling my membership But I have stated was honestly. He didn't even let me finish what I was saying. He needs to learn how to talk to their Members. It be nice to learn how to be respectful and understanding the situation what your member is stating. You guys have some kind of attitude in you. Sounding like you guys are the best. Stop jumping into conclusions quickly.

Original review: April 14, 2019

I called the customer service for 24 Hour Fitness to cancel my membership because you can’t do it in person at the gym for some reason. I called sometime last month (in March) to cancel it and they “proceeded” with the process of cancellation. Fast Forward to the beginning of April, I was charged another month. Confused and frustrated I called customer service again asking what happened. Apparently, the person I talked to in March didn’t go through with the process and didn’t cancel my membership. The person I talked to at this point went ahead and apologized, then proceeded to cancel my membership and issued my refund within 3-5 days and also gave me a email confirmation.

6 days later, I give them another call about my refund. After 15-20 mins, the person I was talking to said that I was given the wrong information about the refund process, that it wasn’t going to be in 3-5 days it was going to be 20 BUSINESS DAYS!! That’s equivalent to a whole month. I practically just continued paying my membership at that point. The system won’t refund my money until next month in May. But I guess the good thing is that I can still go until the end of this month... Horrible experience with them, seemed like none of the people I talked to knew what they were doing. I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Hi, I'm regular. I came during the evening when this happened. I'm very disappointed in the "tall ** guy" who works there and his fellow workers. They were extremely rude and making fun of anyone trying to better themselves at the gym. Sounds like a colossal ** to me. I witness them targeting certain people at the gym by making fun of them and laughing out loud. This is so rude and unprofessional. Just keep those thoughts to yourself!! I noticed it was coming from the "tall ** guy experience this. Location: 24 Fitness, 915 Auburn Way N, Auburn, WA 98002

Original review: April 11, 2019

First went to Sky Manhattan location looking to try the gym out. Was told by customer service that they do one day passes. I made a huge trek from Queens on my day off with a friend and was spent 30 minutes looking for parking. Got inside and the membership woman in charge, after waiting another 30 minutes explained that they don’t do one day passes at that location. I told her to call customer service and ask. She said she didn't have time. I told her I am not coming back. She said sign up for 7 day money back trial and if I don't like it, I get my money back. I did that and lo and behold, the hot tub did not work for the week because the tub could not be cooled down. I then went to cancel and we had a long conversation about why I was canceling. Then she tried to get me to stay and said she was sorry that she made the mistake of not giving me a one day pass. Turns out she had no idea they do one day passes and that she screwed up.

Fast forward 6 months later, my family is in Rockland County and I moved back home from Queens. My sister called the local Nanuet NY branch, SUPERSPORT and they said I could be on her plan for 46 dollars. Guy's name is Dan. She drove from work after getting called by Dan to sign me up. She went in and he said that he made a mistake and did not realize they could not do that plan. My sister signed up for the 7 day plan for 46 instead of one month plan for 100 and the GM said that he would get back to her. She sent him messages and no response from him. I am looking to do whatever I can to tell as high up the chain about these horrible experiences.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I am a woman (since birth) and recently experienced a male thinking he is a woman in the women's locker room at 24 Hour Fitness Santa Rosa, CA. At the front desk we were told it is the law to allow transgenders in our locker room even though they have a unisex bathroom. During spring break there were also several young female teenagers (as young as12 yrs old) present and fully unclothed after using the pool. Mind you that the mothers of these children are unaware of the policy at this establishment. What can we do to have management either change the policy and make this person use the unisex bathroom or have all locker rooms have private showers and bathrooms to ensure our gender rights as well?

Original review: April 9, 2019

I paid for a personal Trainer, I'm a local truck driver, so it's kind of tough to make a schedule. I got a trainer, cause I wanted to find exercises I could do in my truck and start taking classes again when I'm able. Well I went through 3 trainers and still had sessions left. Which they were nice. I had a day off and decided to come to the gym and try the exercises my 3rd trainer sent me, but I needed help to remember them all. I asked for help, I had the exercises on my my phone and no one would help me with them. I felt let down, your motto says, "we are committed to help you meet your goals on your time." Well that didn't happen, I canceled my membership with you cause it really bothered me.

Original review: April 5, 2019

This company builds a new gym in Castle Rock and call it a "Super Sport" to gauge the people in Castle Rock. The gym is smaller and has less amenities than "Super Sports" in the general area and is smaller than "Sport" gyms 15 miles away. They will not let you bring your kids in without charging a day fee of $30. How is this supposed to help our youth avoid obesity and teach them good habits. If I wasn't paying $4/month for life, for my wife and I, I would cancel tomorrow but knowing that they would love me to cancel my membership in favor of overcharging someone else, I will be keeping it until I die.

Original review: March 26, 2019

Annual fee imo is 12 calendar months (annual). Correct me if I’m wrong. Since when and what planet are these people from charging an annual fee 3 months after initial enrollment. I got the money but for 24 Hour Fitness to slyly take out $52.40 of my account without an email as their site states they will do as a “courtesy” before deducting from my account. I called customer service and talked to a supervisor. Trying to make sense of it all. No luck. If I see another charge of an annual fee before my ANNUAL date (which is Dec 29th) I’m cancelling and taking my business elsewhere.

Original review: March 25, 2019

I’m filing a complaint about a fitness trainer at the Mission Hills location. His name is Dantá and he’s an ** looking short man. I’ve seen him there for almost 2 years since opening and he is the most unprofessional employee I’ve ever seen. He’s with clients and his eyes are on everything but the client. He plays with the clients mentally and physically. He’s touches every female client, hugs, unprofessional touching during workouts, playing with their hair, lower back and legs. There’s a fine line between upbeat personally and plain unprofessionally jumping around in front of other people trying to work out.

He’s quite obnoxious and many females I know have had personal experience or witnessed this improper behavior. He flirts with every girl in the gym and randomly comes up to them all touched them all over and doesn’t let go, making woman feel very uncomfortable. I’m quite shocked to have such an organization employ such immoral and unethical people. The gym environment is not a meat market that these type of trainers have created. I would expect some immediate training on morals, ethics and professionalism be mandated. I do plan on making this a future public article. Thanks.

Original review: March 13, 2019

They supposedly do hourly cleanups, but the place is almost always a mess. Trainers harass you whenever you train in a group or alone by yourself. 30-day refund policy - as in, if you freeze your account closer than 3 business days from the due date they only promise to refund you if it's before 30 days are up. 26 days, Still no refund. No way to expedite either, despite having been a 3-year member.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I changed my debit card & forgot to update it with 24 (100% my responsibility). They didn't call to remind me at all. 3 months later I had accrued a fee of $169. I called member services, explained my mistake & made a payment of $50. I explicitly stated that I was not reactivating my membership & would continue to make payments. The agent understood & then asked if I wanted to update my card to make future payments more convenient. At no point during the phone call did I consent to renewing my membership nor was I informed of that company policy. I consented to updating my information for the sole purpose of paying the cancellation fee.

Today, 3/1 they drafted $149.99 from my account without my authorization. I called membership services & explained the situation. Their response was essentially their company policy was to reactivate the membership because the card was updated. They offered to refund $39.99 in 20 days after a 30+ minute phone call. I had to return to work & will continue to attempt to explain their mistake. I will update later if I am able but as of now, I'm out $150 because of a company policy I did not consent to not was informed of. Completely unacceptable.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

They don’t care when they clean or who’s in the way. If there’s PAYING customers using the sauna, why open the door and start cleaning? Why not wait until there are no PAYING customers in there. It’s very rude and inconsiderate!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

Terri or coach T - horrible human being. This woman thinks she’s god's gift to the world. She should not be teaching any classes. This woman gets in my face again and lays a hand on me she will never teach anywhere again. I'll have her in jail so fast and already consulted with my best friend who is a attorney about this lousy POS human being. No one likes her. She walks into a class most of us walk out. Then my friends who stay say she sits there and talks ** on everyone. She must be so miserable in her life she has to make everyone feel same.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I have been a Member with 24 Hour Fitness for 16 years. Paid my initiation for a long term contract that would then be only 25 per years paid annually each June. They sent me info a few years back to pay online. This last year they canceled my membership due to nonpayment. They never contacted me one time to tell me the payment never processed, and of course since it never processed I have no record. The only ones to gain obviously are 24 Hour Fitness by canceling my membership with no late notice. They had my address, phone and email and never bothered to tell me there was an issue. Obviously it is not in their interest to inform me because I was only paying 25 annually at this point of my contract. Horrible business tactics and consumer fraud as to let my membership of many years cancel without one warning.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I joined this 24 Hour Fitness gym back 10 years ago. They were charging Initiation fee and monthly fee. Now they charge Initiation fee, monthly fee plus an annual membership fee. My fiancee also joined 24 Hour Fitness. She pays her monthly fees 37.00 on time fees. Now they want the annual fee 49.00. They did not let her into the gym even though she had satisfied payment of monthly fee. They told her the annual fee was due. Not to enter and pay immediately!!! In a very rude and disrespectful manner not even to use the restroom. They were very unprofessional. This was from the management at location in Santa Fe Springs California on Feb 8 2019. Poor management and ethics.

I have years of loyalty to this company based in Irvine CA. I will discontinue my business with this 24 hour gym and go with a gym that is fair and reasonable with the members who want my business. I don't recommend this place... for a workout. They need to get things changed fast because who knows how many people they are treating and raising the rates every quarter.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

So me and my Gf go to the 24 Hour by our house in Orange County by Disneyland. We went in a couple weeks ago and when I signed in it was fine, when my Gf signed in, to said speak to representative. So we did. They said, "It’s strange. All the info was correct, just go in. It’s fine." So we did, come back in a few days, later same thing. So we missed a little over a week because we went on vacation. We come back same thing happened again, this time I said what is going on. Everything is paid, why is it giving her issues. It turns out that somebody changed her phone number and her fingerprint information to somebody else’s in Sacramento, the Capitol and McKeesport Gym.

We were shocked, how did this even happen, the only way to change that is to talk to a representative and give them your email, phone number, address, date of birth. But nobody has tried to get in her email, nobody tried to fake stuff in her name. No issues of any kind have come up as a result of this. So we work out after the representative changes the number back and puts her fingerprint back for her to sign in. After our workout I ask what gym it was, he said it was at 505 which he didn’t know the actual gym it was, only the managers have access to that. Which seriously you can’t look up to see what corresponding gym the number is.

Well whatever, I call later and speak to customer service, the lady was nice, had a thick accent hard to understand. I explain to her what happened and ask her what club it is, after being put on hold for 15 mins to returns to let me know the club. I say, "Ok how did this happen, when did they add this other person's information and delete my Gf’s?" She says, "I don’t know. The only information I have is the last 6 visits and just your Gf’s info like phone number, address, date of birth, email." So I said, "Basically you cannot see anything," she replies, "Yes basically." So I’m pissed, I ask her if the police come in here with a warrant or a subpoena for access to a certain person information, they would only tell them that they can only see the last 6 times they were here and can’t go back a month or 2, she’s says, "Well I don’t know."

Well bull crap. I know they have that information, I let her know that we signed a contract and agreement, and the fact that a representative and worker for the company, illegally changed the information of my Gf without her being there, puts her personal information at risk and could put her in harm's way, if that person got ahold of her email, phone number, address, and date of birth, not to mention her credit card information. I said, "That is illegal and I could sue you for that, for not properly taking care of your client's personal information," she said, "Oh hold on. Let me see what I can do." So I wait another 20 mins on hold, she comes back, "Sorry for the wait???? So I can put in an escalation for the case at the gym and they can let you know what happened."

I was thinking, "I was on hold for 20 mins so you can tell me that you can tell the other gym to find out what happened." I said, "Ok. Well what does that even mean, what are they going to do." They said, "Well they will find out what happened and call you." I said, "Well can I speak to someone else." She said, "Well yeah. We have someone but they can only see what we see." And her supervisor wasn’t available. So I said, "Fine, do that and send me a copy of our conversation in email form so it overviews what wasn’t said," she never sent that email, and I’m still waiting to hear back from the other Club.

I called them about 10-15 times and they never responded to my calls, so I’m waiting a few days like they said 3-5 and I hope something will come of it. She did admit it was the fault of the other club not doing their job and asking the questions they were supposed to. So At least they admitted they were wrong. Well I hope it works out.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

Have not been able to use the gym for three weeks - Three weeks ago the hot water went and I am madder than a hornet. The only thing I use is the swimming pool. I do not want to go home smelling like chlorine going home. I call every couple of days and all I get is, "We don't know when the new tank is coming in." I am so mad that I am paying for something I cannot use. I miss the swimming. Once my contract is up I will move to another gym.

24 Hour Fitness expert review by ConsumerAffairs

24 Hour Fitness offers over 400 gym locations in 13 states, including California, Colorado, Florida, Hawaii, Maryland, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Texas, Utah, Washington and Virginia.

• GX24 classes: 24 Hour Fitness offers group exercise classes in four categories: Burn, Intensity, Strength and Bliss. Each class is taught by a trained instructor and offers motivation and community to help you meet your fitness goals.

• Fit:Perks Rewards: Members can sign up for the free Fit:Perks Rewards program, which allows you to earn points for working out and participating in 24 Hour Fitness’s social media channels. Points are redeemable for sweepstakes entries, giveaways, discounts and promotions.

• My24 app: 24 Hour Fitness helps you stay organized to reach your fitness goals with its My24 app. The app allows you to view updated class schedules, join challenges, set and conquer goals, link other fitness apps and wearable devices and more.

• Training Club 24: For clients who enjoy competition, 24 Hour Fitness’s Training Club 24 lets you compete in team workouts that build in intensity every week. Coaches help teams set and meet goals.

• Kids’ Club: Children up to age 12 can attend the Kids’ Club, which features CPR- and First Aid-certified attendants, a fast and secure check-in process and active play. Members can purchase single Kids’ Club visits or add monthly payments to their membership plans.

• Best for: fitness novices, athletes, fitness buffs and parents.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs