3.71/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

24 Hour Fitness

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 17, 2017

1156 24 Hour Fitness Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

24 Hour Fitness Louisiana and Elgin, Houston TX - This gym is about selling memberships... it is always packed, in 2 months, I have always had to wait in line for the equipment I wanted to use, no matter what time of the day or night I would go. When I tried to get out of the membership, they wanted to be paid in full, with no exit clause... In over 25 years of going to the gym, I have never been so UNMOTIVATED to work out. Just the absolute worst experience I have ever had with a gym!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017
I received a "FREE 3 DAY PASS. Pass valid at all clubs. Please activate your FREE pass at your home club: Thousand Oaks 2595 East Thousand Oaks Blvd

Thousand Oaks, CA 91360. (805) 777-7300." And when I went to the 24 Hour Fitness location to activate the pass, the manager asked me to answer questions that were not relevant as a guest. I asked him to activate my pass skipping the questions and once I decided to join I would answer those questions, but he said answering those questions would activate the free pass. I said, "If so why it was not mentioned while issuing the free pass." I had to leave the 24 Hour Fitness place since the manager did not honor the free pass and did not activate it without collecting unnecessary personal data. I did not find it fair to me as the potential customer. It was a total waste of time and resources.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I placed my account on hold and confirmed there would not be any more charges to my card and then subsequently I canceled my membership and they charged me an additional "annual membership fee" even though I was canceling and refused to refund the charge. I left 24 Hour Fitness because of the environment at the gym which was like a singles club. I am now with a gym which focuses on providing an experience in which the members can reach their fitness goals.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I am very pissed off. No one didn't want to help me in regards getting my refund. They pretty charge me the annual fee and overdrawn my account and I cancel my membership with this gym. They gave me a ** story. Couldn't speak to someone higher than a customer service specialist, was being a smart ass with me. I'm trying to get people to get a lawsuit with this people.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I am trying to cancel my membership which they don't allow you to do online. They provide a toll-free number but I have now tried 3 different times to call them, each time on hold for more than 20 minutes. This is ridiculous.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 24 Hour Fitness?

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I’m a member of 24 Hour Fitness and when I signed up for a membership the manager told me that I could bring a guest once every six months. On Friday, I brought my boyfriend, what I didn’t know was that as I tried to signed him up for a membership and he used the gym once under the membership, he couldn’t be guest and he would had to pay $20, well it was fine until the staff was very rude to explain it to us, she treat us very bad, however, what made me very upset it was the manager that I’ve never seen him before, who talked to us in a very rude tone and inappropriate way, as I wasn’t worthy to the gym.

Well, if he treats everyone like that, he will make everyone cancel their membership as what I felt like doing at the time. I’m one person, it wouldn’t make a difference for the gym, however, I have friends going there and one person giving bad review can cause a lot damage for the gym. 24 Hour Fitness needs to train better their staff of how to deal with customers.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

I am a student already starting my university courses, and my experience with 24 Hour Fitness sound like they might just be borderline ILLEGAL. I signed up last month on labor day where I didn't need to go through the $100+ initiation fee because of the promotion they were having, and knowing my friend is working out at 24HF, I thought I could learn a few workout routines from him.

At the time, University courses didn't start until the end of the month for me, so I figured I could learn a few work out routine from my friend working out at 24. So I talked to one of their "Sales Advisor" in which I told him I was new at signing up for a gym membership (big mistake, in which I will go over that detail in a bit), and how I only wanted to work out for the ONE MONTH with my friend before starting university again. He acknowledges I only wanted to work out for one month because we both agreed it was silly when I already have a membership waiting for me coming back to school at uni.

Now knowing I was new at this because I told him, he didn't miss the opportunity to try and squeeze a bit of money out of me (which is understandable) by trying to use fancy terms for his Ultra Deluxe package for $100+ a month, which I told him once again that I was a student, and money was an issue for me, and I just wanted to workout for the one month and be on my way (Later I found the ultra deluxe package full benefit is only accessible in a few states, and not my state at all. So he was having me pay extra with no added benefits of what was in the package, spaw, massages, etc from what I heard).

We then go to the option of wanting me to pay for all club membership access or just the one. I opted for the single membership, since that 24 hour was close to my house, but he apologizes and told me that the system didn't have the one membership for this 24HF in this specific location (In which I questioned in my head, why then would you give me two options when you KNOW your system doesn't run the single membership...). Now, at the time, my friend was there with me as well, and I didn't want him to wait for too long, so I gave him the okay for the all access membership, which totaled $40 a month (which I was fine with as long as it's really $40 for that one month).

And do you know what the ** up part about all this? This Sales Advisor failed to notify me he was going to place me in a one year commitment plan (aka, I have no right to cancel out of it for the ONE YEAR), nor did he tell me about the other option of paying a little extra to cancel at anytime when I specifically told him I only wanted to work out for 1 MONTH. I only found out about that option after I came in to cancel with one of the sales representative telling me they couldn't do anything because I was on that same commitment plan.

So you would expect the SHOCK I was going through when they had told me. My last hope is to come in and meet the General Manager to try and get this sorted out, but my chances are grim I was told. I read the policy on the commitment plan and the only way out of it is to be in military service at the time, or die! Yes, literally ** die! It's that grim. Bottom line is, I feel really trapped right now, and next week I have exams I have to worry about. I wanted to call out that sales adviser who got me into this mess, but coincidentally, he doesn't work there anymore, so ** me, right? To future and present 24HF members, be sure to clearly ask what you're getting yourself into when you sign up. It's a real pain in the ass with all the hidden fees you will get yourself into. Never again.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

The only reason this has 2 stars rather than one is because my time in the gym was good. The classes were great and it was a clean and friendly environment. However, when I moved back into college leaving after summer and tried to cancel my membership, they didn't follow through. I acknowledged the standard procedure was going into the store to cancel, and asked if there was any way to cancel over the phone since my home gym was 3 hours away (I asked because if they told me no, another location was a 1 hour drive I was willing to make to ensure my membership was indeed cancelled before being charged another month).

They agreed to let me speak with a manager, who took my phone number down and said he would cancel it the next morning. I took him at his word and thought that was the end. However, the following month I was charged the annual fee, plus my regular monthly charge. Since there was nothing on file from my conversation with the manager, they couldn't refund me the $100. Very disappointed in the way they did not follow through on their word, as I would have driven to the nearest gym to save that money. Double check your membership is actually cancelled and get proof, so the same thing doesn't happen to you.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

Thrown out of gym because according to them I had never calling cops on nut that said, "I wanna shoot that ** dead twice". Ran to lobby. Was told, "Can't we all just get along?" I am not calling cops on Felisha... I know her... laughing... in order to do anything I have to see it with my own eyes. Nut goes past desk with buggy and they wave her goodbye. Would not take incident report... or call cops. Cops came because they did not like me taking their picture... went all the way up to loss prevention. He said it was he said she said... and I called the cops how date I... Felisha still on 24-hour property. Got license plate. Happened Sept. 2 2017. Dirty sauna... vandalism... shower door smashed... girls' locker robbed... BLOOD in sauna never removed. Four places. Continual harassment by members in this club.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

I was signed up for trial membership with 24 Hour Fitness and I have cancelled and also asked them to remove my credit card on file. Not that did not remove my credit card but they also charging me $29.99 monthly. I have request for refund last month and this month they charged me again. What a scam company!!!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

I was dissatisfied with how 24 Hour Fitness handled my membership cancellations. My wife and I put our memberships on freezes due to expire in Mar 2017. In Sep 2016, I visited our location in Katy TX, and canceled our family memberships and the add-on ones for the children. For some reason only mine and our children's were canceled - there was a charge in Sep 2016, but I disputed it and it was resolved. I just realized - my oversight - that they began charging our credit card again in Mar 2017 for just my wife's membership. Because it is a credit card we don't use frequently, I didn't catch it till 6 months later. I contacted their phone number for cancellations, and they claimed they had no record of the cancellation, even though they can verify there has been no usage for over a year.

They explained they had no reason to doubt me, but because they didn't have documentation of the cancellation, they wouldn't give a refund. I concede I was slow in recognizing the charges, but I also believe we clearly had communicated cancellation - we got no notice that they had begun charging, even though they claim they send notice by email (I looked and couldn't find an email notice, although they send lots of junk advertising). I have formally submitted a complaint at their corporate website. As other reviewers have implied, they are not very customer oriented and resort to citing their membership policies on refunds - i.e. not giving any.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I am very dissatisfied with the leadership corporate has offered their employees & the level of disregard for their clients out of pocket expenses. Membership annual fee of $111.76 as well as maintenance fees of $49.99 each month. I was misled to believe if I canceled before the 30 day trial is over the Membership annual fee of $111.76 would not be cashed (it was cashed) and I would not have to pay monthly fees (I was charged for two months). The Newark location did not have working copying equipment and I was reassured it would be canceled the next day. In which corporate was not informed of cancellation and I was charged for membership annual fee and monthly fees for two months 49.99 x 2 = 99.98. Total amount is $211.74. I would like a refund because 24 Hour Fitness was not authorized to charge is $211.74. I did not think it would happen to me and it did due to poor training from corporate.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

The Most Unprofessional & Rude Staff I've ever had to Deal with. Their Gym is Unsanitary & They have Overdrawn my Bank Account By Taking out My membership fee even after I prepaid them in cash. They're Shady. Don't waste your time. There are other quality gyms out there for you to join.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

I called to cancel my membership with the gym. After waiting on hold for 20 minutes, the gym finally agreed to cancel the membership. However, they would not refund the $49 annual membership fee that they charged my account yesterday. So, they took $49 of my money even though I won't be using the gym for one single day in the next year.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

Around two weeks ago, I wrote you a letter regarding my concerns about the intensity of the music at the Third Street Chula Vista, CA club. The music was again to a bearable standard. It only lasted for a while. Last Friday when I arrived, the music was again very loud. I told the employee to please lower it, and he responded that they did not have any way to regulate the intensity of the music, because the controls were at the Manager’s office. The noise is unbearable in the locker room and showers, since the ceilings are lower. It is very uncomfortable. I tried to send another letter to their site. The site does not work. I called, the wait is 20 minutes! I have been a member of 24 HOUR FITNESS since 2002. This is the first club where I have experienced so many problems, from hygiene, noise and respect to members from the management.

Original review: July 18, 2017

I chose this gym because it was close to where I was working at the time. I also believe they were running a great sign up special for new customers. Also, I liked the hours that the facility was open. It gave me the option to go before work. I like how large the space was. They had a large variety of machines enough that you never had the wait to use something. The place also always seemed very clean. But the thing I most disliked about this gym was how pushy they were about their personal training. They try to get you to sign up for a free session when you join and they won't take no for an answer.

Original review: July 18, 2017

The people are really nice and don't treat me like a huge fatty noob. In other gyms, I tend to get some stares for my beautiful skin and large size and the last gym I went to made me buy two memberships and this gym didn't so I really liked that. Also, I really like 24 Hour Fitness because it's close to my house and it’s open twenty four hours. No Bowflex but I'm in talks with management about loaning them my personal machine. I'd like it also if they had a better sauna and whirlpool and regular pool as well as more private showers. I was showering one time and this lady grabbed my shampoo and used it and I was like, “WTF. Why did you do that?” She said she thought it was communal shampoo that the gym provided even though she reached her snaky arm into my shower to get it. Like hello, I have it on tape.

Original review: July 18, 2017

The extended hours are a huge benefit due to my inconsistent work schedule. Also the location was in my home town and provided an option for a gym other than a YMCA. Being a franchise gym there were more options and better quality of equipment as well. The franchise I went to was smaller than what I like and didn't have enough classes I liked. For example, as a former dancer I enjoy the classes based on barre exercises and would like those classes to be available as well. But there was enough of a variety of equipment and ways to work out that I found appealing. It had also offered a free trial period that was nice as I got to test and see if this gym was there right fit for me.

Original review: July 17, 2017

To begin it is open twenty-four hours a day for your convenience to workout when it fits into your schedule the best, they have updated equipment and services available along with knowledgeable staff to help you if needed. The modern up to date equipment and services are top notch, is fairly priced, clean and maintained well. But they should try to space out the equipment more and not try to cram so much stuff into such limited space and give the customer a little more sense of space and privacy.

Original review: July 17, 2017

Great workout equipment and staff. Love that they have always a empty machine. Love going in the morning, more quiet, multiple workout rooms and helpful staff willing to work with you. Some of the staff at night is rude that's why I like to go early morning. Not much people around to walk around. Also, bathrooms could be more spacious, room for woman when they workout and the machines are a little close together for my taste. But it's closer to my home. Don't feel like driving any further when it's convenient. It's that or workout at home then I would have to buy workout equipment and that expensive so that's why I stick with the gym easy. It's done ok so far.

Original review: July 17, 2017

The equipment was new and very well kept. There was also equipment there that I did not find at other gyms and I was able to get a complete workout. But I would change the membership fees. They were outrageously expensive. I know some people grandfathered in at a very low price and would make it that same price for everyone. It did meet my expectations though. They said it would be open 24/7 and sure enough it was never closed. But yet they did a great job of getting it cleaned and staying out of the way of the people that were working out.

Original review: July 16, 2017

I chose this gym because I've heard good things. It's nice that they have so many amenities. The people are really nice too. I like all of the classes and machines they have available for everyone to use. But, they are so busy and crowded. I have to wait for machines or weights. Every time I went to one of their gyms I always felt uncomfortable with how many people there were.

Original review: July 16, 2017

I like how the gym is open 24 hours a day and allows me to bring my friends with me. And also, I like how the gym is neat and clean and has a lot equipment to use. I can get in there and do my normal work routine and leave without a problem. I choose the gym because its close to my home and my friends also work out there. It has a nice monthly rate and the staff members are nice. Plus I like the snacks they offer.

Original review: July 16, 2017

The equipment is relatively average and the same you would find at competing gyms, mainstream and local. I would add racket ball and swimming pools. Plus would upgrade the showers, sauna and the provided toiletries to a higher level of excellence. Less truck stop cheap feel more high end hotel feel. But the hours are what sells this for me. I work odd hours being a parent and I appreciate the hours the most. They give me full range to come in whenever it is specifically convenient for me. I love that.

Original review: July 15, 2017

The fact that 24 Hour Fitness is always open is the biggest benefit. I like being able to workout at any time of day. The cost makes it a good value as well. I especially like that most locations near me have a pool, and being able to get a workout in. There are really convenient locations near me and in locations that I frequent. There is also one near my work which makes it especially convenient when I may not be really motivated. Based on these things alone the gym meets my expectations. However I’ve had a couple of billing issues which were resolved but were inconvenient. I've also found a couple of times that there weren't enough towels and cleaner to wipe down the machines. Also the racquetball courts are a really nice benefit but are always full.

Original review: July 15, 2017

I love that I can go there any day of the week or weekends nearly any time of day and work out exactly what muscle groups I want to hit that given day with my trainer. I can even go in the middle of the night. I also liked that it was so astronomically much cheaper. I love the cool top 40 radio station music and songs they play and that they have every single machine that I enjoy using on a daily basis. They didn't have a group class room though.

Original review: July 15, 2017

I'm a bartender so I work crazy hours and this gym is perfect for my work schedule. Sometimes I get out at three or four in the morning and I'm just not tired enough to go home and go right to sleep so I'll go for a workout and then by the time I get home and shower I'm all ready to get right in bed. With this gym, I can choose to go when it's convenient for me! Also, because the gym is always opened, it's not constantly crowded because people don't have the pressure of going at crammed in scheduled times. There's also no pressure for a rushed workout which is huge!! I can work at my own pace without racing against the clock!!!

Tanning booths are extremely important to me and I don't like having to wait forever because there's only one available for the entire gym! I feel like a gym opened 24 hours should have multiple tanning booths so it's not an inconvenience for the customers. Sometimes I'd have to just not go tanning as much as I wanted to because I wasn't coming back again just to use the tanning booth after my workout time was completed. If I'm paying for this service, It shouldn't have to become a habit for me to either wait to start working out, wait after my workout, or just have to leave and not tan because I can't wait for the list of people signed up before me considering there's only one booth available.

Original review: July 15, 2017

A friend of mine like it and works out there and invited me to join her. Working out with friends makes it more fun but I probably would not work out there without her. They have terrible parking which can be discouraging when finding motivation to go. They also have expensive trainer costs compared to other similar gyms, making it feel like that service is unobtainable. But I like the selection of fitness equipment. Also, it is located in a central place, and is a big size. The gym had a pool and an outdoor workout area. Outdoor portion had heavy equipment and TRX. I liked the size of their cardio area as well.

Original review: July 14, 2017

For the most part I really like this gym. I feel they do a good job on just about every front. They offer a great start up promotions and I feel that I am able to get into shape with no judgment. They just need to enforce the wipe down policy. It seems people use equipment and never wipe it down after. That is gross and not okay. But the staff is wonderful, friendly and oh so helpful. They offer good suggestions and other advice on ways to get into shape.

Original review: July 14, 2017

24 Hour Fitness was close to my home and I was given a membership. The gym meet my expectations. I was expecting to use equipment and theirs was always in great condition. I was expecting to take YOGA classes and there were many times to choose from. The YOGA instructor was nice. I love that I have access anytime, day or night, and the classes and times scheduled for classes easily fit into my lifestyle. They are clean and their equipment is always in good repair. Staff are friendly and helpful. However, I need a month to month option that does not break the bank. A monthly fee of $10-20 would fit my family's budget better. Also, location is a main factor that would have to change so I could rejoin the 24 Hour Gyms. I have also moved towns and there are no 24 Hour Gyms where I live now.

24 Hour Fitness expert review by ConsumerAffairs

24 Hour Fitness offers over 400 gym locations in 13 states, including California, Colorado, Florida, Hawaii, Maryland, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Texas, Utah, Washington and Virginia.

• GX24 classes: 24 Hour Fitness offers group exercise classes in four categories: Burn, Intensity, Strength and Bliss. Each class is taught by a trained instructor and offers motivation and community to help you meet your fitness goals.
    • Fit:Perks Rewards: Members can sign up for the free Fit:Perks Rewards program, which allows you to earn points for working out and participating in 24 Hour Fitness’s social media channels. Points are redeemable for sweepstakes entries, giveaways, discounts and promotions.
    • My24 app: 24 Hour Fitness helps you stay organized to reach your fitness goals with its My24 app. The app allows you to view updated class schedules, join challenges, set and conquer goals, link other fitness apps and wearable devices and more.
    • Training Club 24: For clients who enjoy competition, 24 Hour Fitness’s Training Club 24 lets you compete in team workouts that build in intensity every week. Coaches help teams set and meet goals.
    • Kids’ Club: Children up to age 12 can attend the Kids’ Club, which features CPR- and First Aid-certified attendants, a fast and secure check-in process and active play. Members can purchase single Kids’ Club visits or add monthly payments to their membership plans.
    • Best for: fitness novices, athletes, fitness buffs and parents.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs