24 Hour Fitness

Compare Health Clubs

Research top Health Clubs recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I go to the 24 Hour Fitness off of Redwood Road. I'm there almost everyday between 9 p.m -2:00 o'clock a.m. Most night is the same guy that works night shift. Apex his name but I'm not really good at remembering names. I think his name is Chad I know that it starts with the C. He's kind of an middle-aged gentleman. Short, muscular kinda looks like he could be a football linebacker. Anyways I noticed him because again I come there almost every night some days earlier but he is always working. The place is always clean.

I've never seen anybody at 24 Hour Fitness work as hard as he does. He's very polite and respectful. Making sure that everything is clean. Making sure that you are OK in the sauna and steam room. My suggestion is that he deserves a raise or something special done for him because again even though it's his job, I think he goes above and beyond what the job requires of him. I really appreciate him and all that he does at 24 Hour Fitness!

I signed up to 24 Hour Fitness late February 2006. It was a grand opening deal a few months before it opened. The deal was to pay $600 for the first 3 years then it will be $50/year ($50 per year) for the rest of my life. It went as it was supposed to until last year, 2015, when they over tripled my fee. It is now $165 per year. I called the corporate office and explained they're breaking the contract and they said they could no longer run the gym with me just paying $50. I told the lady that was ridiculous and that I had a contract. She said, "Well, this is the first time we've gone up in the 9 years you've been a member." I said, "that's exactly my point. You're not supposed to go up at all for the rest of my life." She said in my contract it says they could go up.

After nine years and moving twice I can't find my contract so I asked her to mail me or email me a copy and she never did. It's been a year now and my renewal is coming up. I can't believe there are so many complaints. More and more American businesses are getting away with stuff like this. I'm about to cancel my contract with them.

I visited the location in Murphy Texas to sign up the boys in the summer, at that point they will not tell you that 3 months into the membership they will hit you with a "Annual membership" for another $108, WHAT! Oh if you tell them that they did not disclose this, the reply is it in the page 1 and 3 of the contract, that you did not read.... Scam. Stay away, you will use it for a few days and never use it again...

I've been a 24 Hour Fitness prepaid member since 2013. One year ago, I added my father as a monthly pay member under my account. The employee who worked in our local 24 hour gym named Donald told me I can freeze my father's account anytime with no charge since he had to back to other country. This is the reason I enrolled in. About half year ago, 24 Hour Fitness charged me once. I called them, they said this is an annual fee, as a monthly paid customer. This is a reasonable explain to me. But!!! Without any notice before, they started charging me the monthly payment since last month cause the freeze period automatic over after one year! I called the local gym want to confirm with Donald who enrolled my father in, been told he is quit.

I called the customer service want to make sure this should be refund cause my father is in other country and nobody telling me anything about over one year will be automatic charge again. All they did is telling me, there is nothing they can do, and they are sorry about this. I do not understand how could this kind of customer service can help this company grown up, It's full of cheating and lies! It makes me so disappointment of this gym!!!

Back in June of 2016, I called 24 Hour Fitness to CANCEL all services. I was convinced to "freeze" my account by the cancellation agent (customer service) at NO COST/FREE, she said. I remember asking her if this would cost me anything at least twice, at which she responded with a "zero cost" answer. I noticed a charge on my card from 24 Hour Fitness, checked on my bank app total times of other charges after the date. I called to cancel and was convinced to "freeze" the account for "FREE". Total times I was charged was three times (3), made plans to call to find out the reason for the charges to my account. When I called today (10/20/2016), I was told by the customer service rep that I had "agreed" to the monthly charge, to which I explained to her that was FALSE.

I had been told that the "freeze" to the account was "free". I explained to the customer service rep that I remember telling the cancellation rep back in June that the reason for my cancellation was because I had NO TIME to train anymore, the cancellation rep convinced me to "freeze" the account instead of cancelling it so if in the future if I wanted to reopen the account I would not get hit with the initiation fees!!! The customer service rep kept telling me that an "email" had been sent to me warning me of the charge, that is FALSE. This is their main reason for making it seem like your fault, you "did not check your mail". I was not given a refund at all, was told to file a complaint with my bank (I will do that).

You have been warned, if you ever want to CANCEL your account with 24 Hour Fitness, DO SO. Don't let them convince you of "freezing" the account with false claims of "freezing" the account for "free"!!! I'm sure this is not a common practice, but the cancellation rep who I got to talk to back in June played me for a fool, she gave me false claims and omitted information. This reflects very bad on 24 Hour Fitness, I had always been a loyal customer, from now on I'm actively avoiding 24 Hour Fitness and taking my business elsewhere!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 24 Hour Fitness?

24 Hr Fitness has been charging my bank account for over a year now for someone else's membership. They took it upon themselves to attach my debit card to another person's account. When I contacted them, they confirmed my account was closed but I was now paying for someone else's membership. I told them I did not authorize this and I would like a refund. I was told they were not able to refund me the money unless I got the person on the phone whose membership I was now paying for. Very disappointing that they find it okay to steal money from people. This is straight up theft as I DID NOT authorize these charges.

The 24 Hour Fitness gyms in Oakland, CA are dirty to begin with (machines are always sticky, missing buttons/pieces and the bathrooms are just filthy, etc.). But what really made me mad was the fact that the associate/manager did not do something very basic. My boyfriend and I went to the gym in person the day before our vacation to put our membership on hold for a month, while we were going to be out of the country. The associate said that she was not a manager and could not do it. However, she gave us a pen and paper to write down the dates we needed the hold and she would ensure that a manager put a hold for us. Fine with us, so we went on our way after writing the note.

Now, I found out that the manager did NOT put a hold for us. The problem is I have not seen that same female associate at the gym again and have no proof of that conversation occurring. Corporate is also unwilling to credit me with one month even though the call representative acknowledged that she could see I did NOT sign in and use their facilities during that whole month. I don't see why it would be so difficult to credit us with one month of service that we clearly did NOT use. It is about the principle! It's especially ridiculous as this is coming from a huge company. The call rep said "Thank you for being a 24 Hour fitness member". Ummm... no you guys just lost 2 customers. My boyfriend and I will not be renewing our membership.

I love the fact that I can hit up a gym any time of the day, but I am not okay with being cheated out of a big chunk of money trying to get healthy. I googled a site, just so I can write a review about their hidden annual fee but I realized a lot of people have jumped the gun before me. But you know what, I was also lied to - that I couldn't use a Costco membership deal because I have been a member already. I learned that that was false. Do you know how much money I lost since then because I didn't use this deal? Ridiculous. The girl just kept apologizing, where can an apology get me.

I want to share my experience with everyone, and make sure that all the members are aware that 24 Hour Fitness may charge you THREE TIMES in one month cycle!!! Please don't get fooled by this greedy company as I was. I think that this company will get out of the business soon if they don't change their company value, and continue to be greedy!!! I called to cancel my membership in Aug. Obviously they didn't want me to cancel, and the representative pursued me to use the gym for the next three months for FREE OF CHARGE. He said that If I make up my mind to cancel I can call them back by Nov. 01 to confirm. I think that the plan sounds fair and I agreed.

I should have listened to my instinct that this company is well known for greediness, e.g. fooling their customers by tricks and charging their customers more than they already promised. (They got sued many times because of that). Not surprised, the company kept charging me the monthly fee because I used the gym once in Sept. I added one of my family members under my account, and she pays by herself using a different credit card. I don't understand how 24 Hour Fitness messed up the system that they sometimes charged her three times in one month, sometimes twice in one month. She called 24 Hour Fitness and her bank, the customer care from 24 Hour Fitness can't do anything but advised her to dispute the charges and she did dispute the extra two charges.

Now the stupid company called me and asked if I am responsible for my family member's payment. I told them that she provided a different credit card, why should I be responsible for that. I added my family member to the conference call. The customer care had no idea what she was talking about and neither she understood the whole situation. She kept saying that their system shows that we didn't pay, so we should pay. My family member said that her bank account shows that she paid the monthly fee and she only disputed the other two extra charges. The customer service said, "well you should fax your bank statement to us." My family member said that "I can give you the transaction date and the reference number for your investigation, why should I send my private bank statement to your company."

The customer care said, "you need to send your bank statement to us. That it is the only way to solve the problem." WOW. In addition, the customer care said that we need to pay an annual fee. We are totally shocked. Nobody told us that there is an annual fee associated with our account when we signed up. Then the customer care said "I can show you our agreement." Really, now you want to show us the 100 pages agreement and there may or may not have a small sentence saying that all the customers may be charged an annual fee without notifying! Why didn't your company disclose that when we signed it up?

Again because of this company is well known for their greediness, confusion and orderless, we shouldn't be surprised that they would use all kinds of tricks to charge their customers more money! I urged all the customers who got fooled by this company to gather together and fight it back to against their unlawful behaviors.

I paid a good deal of money down to lock in a lifetime rate. This was back in 2004 and the sales guy stated the rates would never raise. My rates were $29 a year and last year raised $59, now this new yearly rate is $79. I've asked them to send me a copy of my contract.

24 Hour Fitness yearly additional service fee of $49.00. Please be aware of this Yearly additional fees per Membership member. When I call customer service the representative mention that they never mention about this additional fees when you sign-up for the initial membership. He was very clear to tell me that is a selling point not to mention any additional fees. That the customer need to read all the fine print. They do what every company does - hide them self under the contract umbrella. Well California Attorneys this will be the perfect consumer class action lawsuits. Please count me in.

I purchased a monthly membership for my daughter who was home from college for the summer. The cost for a monthly membership was about $40 per month, along with a small initiation fee. Today, I called to cancel the membership because she has returned to school and was informed that I was also charged a $49 Yearly Maintenance Fee - a fee added in 2015 to all yearly memberships to maintain their gyms. I told customer service that I was not aware of the fee and that I did not feel it fair that I was charged a yearly fee for a three month membership. The Escalation Supervisor simply replied, "Sorry about that."

I gather from the other reviews that this is a problem for many other members as well. Obviously, 24 Hour Fitness is neither making this clear, nor willing to do anything about it. I, too, have a problem with this maintenance fee because I am ALWAYS dealing with broken and missing equipment, and when I bring it to the attention of a staff member I am told 'I don't know what to tell you', or 'it happens all the time'. When I ask to speak to the manager, one is not available. Really?

It is just mind boggling how we have to pay for something that we are unaware of. The rep just said the only fee I have to pay is the first month and last month payment. Why are we paying an annual fee??? Consumer Affairs should investigate 24-hour Fitness to see what they are doing with the annual fee they are charging their customers. The customer service rep said it is to up keep the gym but the gym I go to have never been up keep. All the machines are broken.

Years ago I signed up for membership and joined the $49 annually lifetime membership. Last year my renewal notice indicated a doubled annual fee. I questioned it and I was told 24 Hour Fitness is reviewing their memberships and is increasing the fee for everyone. I was also directed to page 3 of the contract. It seems I'm the only one who received the increase but my friends and family stayed on the same rate. Recently, I questioned it again because it's my second year renewing at the increased rate. The same friends and family are still paying $49 annually. Again the Customer Service representative directed my question to Finance and again, the Finance representative doesn't have an answer. The excuse is the Corporate reviews memberships and increase fees accordingly. Really? A complete lie.

As for the other memberships I referred to, of course I'm told they cannot look and do not know why my friends and family didn't receive any fee increase. The Finance person asked if I wanted to talk to someone from Customer Service who could possibly answer my questions. A waste of time. The 24 Hour Fitness employees bounce customers back and forth to other departments because they do not have any answer. As for the online renewal service, the website kept sending me to the page for membership upgrade. It won't let me just renew my membership. I had to call in my renewal to avoid this other scam from 24 Hour Fitness. Feel free to contact me for any class action lawsuit. I will participate.

24 fitness illegally raised (doubled) my lifetime rate. Same story as everyone else, promised lifetime rate of $49. Last year I get a bill for $99. How can I join the class action lawsuit?

Couple years ago, signed up for prepaid membership under the notion that the sales told me after my prepaid period, my annual fee will be grandfathered at $49.00 rate thereon after. This is a verbal agreement. Little did I know, the contract had a fine print that allows 24 Fitness to hike the club fees after a 12 month grace period (of which 0 disclosures were made about this fine-print from 24 Hour Fitness). So recently in 2016, my fees were hiked over 150%. I reread the contract, and have to accept the fact that 24 Hour Fitness blatantly lied about their membership dues, and reserve the right to hike their fees indefinitely. I rated one star because there is no option to rate them 0 stars.

I signed up with 24 H F in 2010, they great deal, new store and they offered a contract price to me $649.36, then next annual payments when due were set at $49.00 per year plus tax. All of a sudden 2015 my rate increase to over 150 per year. That's triple the rate. I went to gym mgt, they sent me to customer service, after a number of "I don't know answers, it's not my decision", then final statement was "it's still very inexpensive" so basically too bad. That's not the point, the contract deal stated the rate with a potential increase of not more than 3%. Once per year. They would not respond to letters, mgt played dumb, customer service was in the end, pointed in too bad attitude. Private company, no real sr mgt to contact. Again, NO reply to letters and they increased the rate again this year. Yes, I see a class action suit in the making. Valid complaints.

Attached is contract language: "3(c). Right to Increase dues: If you have a monthly membership, 24 Hour may increase your monthly dues once per calendar year. The increase will be calculated at not more than three percent (3%) of your then current monthly dues. Any such increase will not occur during the first three (3) months of your membership. Your EFT date will not change. If you have a prepaid membership, 24 Hour will not increase your Initial Annual Renewal Amount on page 1 of this agreement, but may increase all subsequent annual renewal amounts. 24 Hour will send you notice of your new annual renewal amount each year thereafter prior to the end of your then current term."

I initially had a super sport membership and the club where I got my membership is at the capitol expressway location in San Jose, CA. My schedule changed so I was unable to go to the super sport clubs so I wanted to downgrade my membership. The other club I've been going to was the McKee and capitol location and for 3-4 weeks I kept asking the front desk if I could talk to a manager. EVERY, SINGLE time the front desk people say "there's no manager, please come back again."

Finally after weeks of asking, I get to talk to a manager and he says he cannot help me and that I have to go to the original location where I got my membership. Thank you other employees, for making me waste my time to wait for a manager who is completely useless. IT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE FOR THE MANAGER/EMPLOYEE TO MAKE THE CUSTOMER'S EXPERIENCE HARDER. I think the manager should have at least called the other club to help me.

I go to the original location, Capitol Expressway, and I'm told AGAIN that the manager is busy and that I should come back in an hour. After an hour I go back and STILL the manager is "unavailable" and the front desk people just write down my info on a piece of paper and told me that I would get a call from the manager in 2-3 business days. Seriously, the other employees couldn't write my name on a piece a paper and pass it off to the manager?

3 business days pass by and I still get no phone call. I find out that my debit card was charged AGAIN for the month when I was trying to handle this situation for more than a month. I call the line to cancel my membership and tell the whole story. I finally get my membership cancelled and I was told I was going to get a refund. A week has passed and I still have NO REFUND. I SHOULDN'T BE PAYING EXTRA FOR HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE AT MULTIPLE LOCATIONS.

So far I've paid over $300 to go to the gym one time and not because I don't want to go. I'm actually a bit of a workout aficionado. When I went in to 24 Hour Fitness to ask about the gym and costs I made it very clear that I wanted a month to month membership that I could cancel at any point. I was told yes, I could do that. I was told that the only requirement was that I had to give 1 month notice. I was not told about the annual fee. I was rushed through the signing on a little electronic pad. I was told that this was the agreement we already discussed. I figured a big corporation like this would have a fair system in place. I signed. What I saw was very small print. There was nothing bolded.

When I wanted to cancel the gym membership because there aren't 24 Hour Fitness gyms where we are at, we travel for business, I was told it would be something like $400 to cancel. I had to pay the full year. When I asked to be sent the contract there it is with my signature and a big bold statement announcing a year contract. I assure you that bolded, large font statement was not on the electronic pad that I signed. I decided to suffer through and pay the membership for the year. Now I'm suddenly hit with an annual fee. Of course the response is, it is in the contract. I'm not going to go read it, they can add anything into an electronic contract and obviously just wanted to make a sale when they got me to sign this.

I've paid over $300 to go the gym one time. This gym isn't everywhere like they say it is and even if I could go to it regularly I would be wanting to cancel because I didn't know about this year contract or annual fees. She made a huge point of no initial fees. Well yes, an annual fee is pretty much the same thing. I don't care when I have to pay things I just want to know what I actually have to pay. I wish I had checked consumer reports first!!!

So I started my membership back in May. I am 20 years old and not really experienced with contracts and stuff like that. So I go to my mother who is a paralegal and asked her what I should look out for. She advised me to make sure and look out for any annual fees. So I went up to the gym and signed up with a employee. I did not want to do it online, because I wanted to be sure to ask all the questions I need. I asked him how the annual fees work. He told me that I would not be charged an annual fee until a year into my membership, (which made sense to me) no 3 months later I get charged an annual fee. I called my bank and asked them to declined the charges (which they did) but they advised me to "call them and make sure they don't try and charge you again." So I called them and WAITED ON HOLD FOR AT LEAST AN HOUR for anyone to pick up. Someone finally pick up.

I explained them what was going on. She stated that they would not try to bill the annual fee again, but I would still have to pay the monthly fee, but until I paid the annual fee I would be denied access to the gym. So I was like okay no problem. I called my bank back and asked them to cancel out the card. They did and the card that they had on file was no longer good. I thought everything was squared away, when I woke up this morning I had been charged again for the 54.11. I called my bank and asked them what happened. They couldn't explain how the charge still went through. I am PISSED at this point. I have to save money for a new apartment that I am moving into and I cannot afford this!!! I will be calling them and requesting for a refund since the women I spoke with said that they would not try and bill me again. I wish I could give this place less than a star.

MAIN POINT: I've had a membership for 3 months now and I have been charged $234.95 so far. That makes this place $78.31 a month. So the first time I went to the club I had just gotten off working at the ranch and desperately needed to shower. (I don't know if you guys have ever handled goats and tractors all day in the heat, but it leaves you feeling RIPE, especially when you walk into a 'meat market' like a gym, as a woman, wearing ** covered steel toe boots). I wanted to use the free pass and try it out. I had no intentions of using the machines or basketball court. Simply shower and swim.

I was greeted by a young kid who asked me to sit down and fill out some basic info. That turned into me signing a contract. I was told it would be 19.99 a month, cancel whenever I want, no initiation fee. I was disgustingly dirty, people were staring at me, and I just wanted to bathe. So fine, I'll sign this and let me go. I did tell him I was disappointed he pressured me into getting a membership, since I kept asking about the pass. But 19.99 a month to swim and use a shower, cancel whenever I want to. Not bad, right? So I kept it light and went to see the pool.

Always bring your own towels. Either out or they are very thin and small. Not allowed to leave anything, so bring a lock and bag each time. Really overcrowded, especially between 3 and 6. No parking. Most days I had to park at the Costco and walk up the hill. The pool was busy. Never even tried the sauna. It was so crowded. Steam room was less crowded but these kids come in and spray a bunch of perfumes. Which, if everyone was using the same scent wouldn't be so bad. But it's like wet, sweat, mint, lavender, eucalyptus, and fruit? Just no. I learned from hearing people complain at the steam room that the machines are often broken. Also I guess the childcare is crap? (Those two points are technically hearsay since I didn't experience, just heard multiple people complain.) I made the mistake of filling up my water bottle there once. Don't do it!

The showers are... well they work but I got in the habit of showering again when I got home. Typical gym: Gross men, over chlorinated pool, loud girls. Some of the attendants also had a bad habit of staring in the locker room. The Kicker... So I said 19.99 a month, yeah? Ok. 5/12 I was charged 104.98. I called in and they apologized for the confusion, but there's "never been a deal for no initiation fee". (Check on the website this morning, and it still shows $0 down, FYI). On 6/13 and 7/11 I was charged 39.99. I called in again and said this isn't working. They told me not to cancel and that I could have 3 months with no charges. I was cool with that. Our GSD had some medical expenses come up and I needed that money to help him. Lo and behold found I was charged 49.99 today. The first month I'm not supposed to be charged, and the price went up? The punches keep coming...

So, I call and wait 10 minutes only for some snotty little girl to tell me "Well you signed it." Get the number to cancel it, ON HOLD FOR 35 MINUTES, only to learn that I'm now going to be charged $364.24 to cancel. And that $50 was an annual fee, I "should have known if [I] had read the agreement". Since it's a year contract, (which once again I was under the impression this was a month to month, 19.99, cancel when I want to plan. The kid literally lied out of his teeth to make a sale and just banked on the fact I wasn't reading the fine print), it's cheaper for me to stay and keep paying even though now I don't go. (Landed an at home job and the boyfriend just picked up a second position, so the car is all his now.) I've had a membership for 3 months now and I have been charged $234.95 so far. THAT MAKES IT 78.31 A MONTH.

Regardless of how nice the salesmen are - do not trust them. Once you sign you'll just keep hearing the robotic, "I can only go off the screen". I did the math, and if I don't cancel and go through until May 2017 I'll be charged 279.93. If I cancel it would cost me an additional 84.31. I even asked if we could switch the account into my boyfriend's name, something. I work at home now. He would absolutely love to go to the gym - but not a chance in hell we're both paying dues. Of course they said no, because customer service is a dying art form. Truly, everyone. Save your energy and spend your money at a private gym. There's a nice one only a few miles away which I almost signed up at, but I didn't - because it was $50 a month. If only I had known, huh? =)

I have never seen a gym who has such bad customer service in my life. When I first signed up, the staff member acted as tho he didn't know what to do. He called several other staff members over for help. He also failed to tell me that there would be a annual membership fee due 6 months after I joined. I also was never given a copy of the contract. I called corporate and they said there was nothing they could do, and I was to call the 24 hour fitness manager at the gym where I go and file a complaint and have them dispute my issue.

Called the manager and got the same runaround. They were not helpful at all. Nothing has been resolved. I find the staff at this gym not helpful at all. 24 Hour Fitness in Corona, Cal 275 Teller Street. The facility is not very clean as well. Women's bathroom stalls are not clean and toilet paper runs out and is not refilled in a timely. manner. Staff members are always hanging out in the back offices chatting amongst themselves. This is the worst gym facility I have been to. Would not recommend this facility to anyone.

I have been attending a senior class every day for the last 14 months. Most people in the class are over 65 and are on Medicare. When you receive Medicare, you get free membership to the gym... I guess the gym gets paid by the government. The other day, the instructor brought in someone from management who lectured us on how no one is allowed to talk about anything having to do with politics even if you're not on any side or even just whispering to a friend... no talking period and if we do, our membership will be revoked. She claimed that "people are leaving the class due to politics". But this is not true. No one has complained and certainly no one has been upset at all let alone wanting to leave.

We've all become friends and enjoy socializing before class. I believe the instructor overheard a couple of people talking and SHE didn't like what they said so she went to management and made up a lie about people wanting in quit the class. This may sound trivial, but the 35 of us were quite shocked and insulted by this "scolding" and then the threat of losing our membership. We have no right to speak to friends? I feel too uncomfortable now to go back and a lot of us feel that way. This particular gym has not been receptive to any suggestions in the past, they give the run around, tell you to email, then no one gets back to you even to acknowledge your email.

I paid $750 for their "lifetime" membership to which I was only able to use for 3 years. I was late the first month. I had to pay their $100 annual fee, and they cancelled my membership. I tried calling their customer service dept, and they had me put on hold, transferred, told me they'd call back, plus all of the above. And I got no response. I kept trying for a few months and they told me that I took too long to pay the fee, and that they can't even find me in the system now. WHAT A SCAM!

Ive been a member here for 20 yrs. Never seen this gym this bad. They have too many members and not enough equipment. Weights are laying all over the gym, the equipment is all broke down, a lot of it doesnt work. This gym is located in long beach ca on spring street. I have complained about this to several managers. All they say is they will bring it up to their bosses. Nothing never gets done. They sure dont mind taking my money every month. So I highly advise no one to sign up for this gym. It smells. Its dirty.

I have been a regular member the gym for 10 years plus and my membership has been paid by insurance automatically. On 8/4/16 I checked in by the usual method of a fingerprint and my telephone number. The machine rejected my information then a female attendant grabbed my arm and led me out the door. Well being 68 and well off and paid and known by all in the gym I was embarrassed. No I will not go back. These people are mindless idiots.

Well as many other complaints my complaint is with the cancellation and the lack of customer service. First I attended the LA county fair on September 2015 were a 24 hr employee had a booth set up to get people to sign up. I see a large sign that say "No Annual Contract" so I walk over to take a look. The man was very persistent and seem to be being honest so I agree to sign up on a month to month basis walking away with nothing but a business card and no copies of any papers I signed thinking I just got a great deal and was so excited to be able to afford a gym on my minimal budget. Fast forward to the next day I go in to use my new membership as I walk in I see a sign "were moving." Okay great - it's down the street still close enough to attend without using too much gas. I was okay with that.

During the first month I freezed my account due to a medical issue, they told me "ok just call back when you want to unfreeze." Great. December I was given the go ahead to go attend the gym. Then fast forward to January the old gym is no longer there and the new one open. Awesome I was excited to check the new one out. Well as I walk in I go to go check in and my sign in couldn't be completed. I ask why, they said "well you don't have access to this club." I was like "well I signed up for this club but was at the old location." The lady then proceeded to tell me that I would have to drive to a club located 4 cities away from me if I wanted access, I would have to upgrade.

I then called in to talk about the issues. They were no help so I said "okay then let's just cancel since I'm not under contract." The employee then tells me "you are under contract. A 12 month contract. If you want to cancel you will need to pay the remaining balance." Thinking, If I did that I would have paid it off early and still be able to attend without the worry of a contract. WRONG - they wanted me to pay the entire balance and I would not have access to the gym either way. So I hung up.

Now July 2016 thinking my contract will be up soon I wanna know what is the process of having my membership cancelled. The lady on the phone then tells me "oh your membership isn't up until April 2017!"! I was in shock like how can they extend my contract without letting me know. They then said "oh it's your freeze that caused this." So I asked to speak to a manager, after waiting about 20 mins for one to get one on the phone. As I began to tell him all of the issues I'm having he laughs and he says "That's why you should read before signing anything" which is true but I signed with good faith in the company not screwing me over. Well they did and now I'm stuck. He then tells me "Well since you're stuck for now just go use it since you're going to be responsible for it anyways." I'm furious with this company and the lack of compassion and understanding they have for people. I will not recommend anyone to sign up with this money hungry company.

After 15 years as a member I was 2 months late on my renewal (I had a baby at 40) and I was cancelled. After healing from childbirth I attempted to renew my 15-year membership and was told I could not. There was "nothing that could've done". Really? No notification. Nothing. They said, and I quote "legally they don't have to notify people of this strict cancellation rule or that they are about to cancel". So basically they want to resign you - obviously at a higher rate. Terrible customer service practice. I used to hire personal trainers and everything... And after 27 years there is nothing they can do for me but offer me a new contract at a higher rate? Very disappointing after almost 3 decades of loyalty.

I dropped off my 2 children at the Kid's Club in the Wayne, NJ location last week. When I finished my workout, I went to pick up my children and saw the Kid's Club attendant faces were distraught. When I looked at my 2 year old baby girl, I saw why. She had scratches all over her face and neck. When I asked what happened, I was told another child attacked mine and scratched her. Although I was upset, that is not the part that is disturbing as I do understand kids can get a little rough when they are around other kids. I was told that this particular child ALWAYS has issues interacting with other kids to the point where the child had to be suspended. After hearing that, I had questions as to what is the protocols in place to handle such children that maybe should not be allowed in the Kid's Club. I was concerned, not only for my own children, but for the safety of other children patronizing the Kid's Club.

So the following day, I called the club manager, Mr. **, to try to get some answers and determine whether the measures they were taking were appropriate and if I could feel comfortable sending my children back there. The only thing he could tell me was "we are handling it". That answer did not satisfy me so I requested to be contacted by someone in the Corporate Office who could give me some specifics as to what is done in a situation like this. I have been waiting a week for a call back from Corporate. I have called the club manager back multiple times and he is blatantly avoiding me. I have been left no other choice than to pursue the matter with the Wayne, NJ Police Department. MY 2 YEAR OLD BABY WAS ATTACKED AND NO ONE AT 24 HOUR FITNESS WANTS TO DEAL WITH THE SITUATION!!!

I, like so many other members out there, received a price increase from $29 to $79 annually. I was promised that the $29/annually price is forever. I had been happily paying my dues on time since 2006. This past November 2015, I was informed that my dues are now increased to $79 and on short notice. The same thing happened to me at Fitness USA in 2004, but since I didn't go to that gym very often, I just let the membership expire.

There seems to be a trend where gyms used to sell memberships with either upfront bulk pay, or locked in contract for a set amount of years, with the promise of a low lifetime flat rate. Now that the economy is less stable, they are trying to recuperate money by increasing dues from their existing members. There's nothing wrong with that, but they should not touch the existing members that paid for the "Lifetime Guaranteed" price. That promise was why I joined 24 Hour Fitness. I even brought in several friends at the time to share the promotional deal. We were all told verbally that the guaranteed price was for the rest of our lives or until the business closes down. I feel cheated and all I am asking is for 24 Hour Fitness to honor their promises. I am otherwise still happy with the gym.

24 Hour Fitness Company Profile