2.8/5 (2091 ratings)

About 24 Hour Fitness

24 Hour Fitness Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 24 Hour Fitness?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about 24 Hour Fitness?

Original review: Sept. 27, 2022

September 27, 2022 RE: My Skin Was Chemically Burned or Irritated In 24Hour Fitness Jacuzzi. To Whom It May Concern: I visited Denver's 4120 East Alameda location on September 25, 2022. After my workout at about 5pm, I got into the jacuzzi for about 15 minutes. Once I got out my entire body felt like pins were sticking me. The sting is still there today, 9/27/2022, but not as bad. There were too many chemicals in the jacuzzi that caused this irritation. The water was not very hot, so it wasn't due to heat. I was so upset when I looked at my body and noticed that it was fire red all over, that I went to the front desk to express my dissatisfaction, in my trunks.

I spoke with Kory & Riley. They provided no guidance because management nor maintenance wasn't available. Later, Kory closed the jacuzzi and told me that the Ph was high when he tested it. He indicated that maintenance comes only 3 times a week. Maybe they over apply chemicals. He also took down my name and number for a follow up call. I received none, and I am pissed. My skin is still irritated! It is still red, dry and ashy, itches, and feels like pins sticking me. If it persists, I will go to ER or Urgent care. I've given 24 Hour Fitness many opportunities to address this issue directly with me but received no material response:

1. Left contact info at the gym.

2. Sent emails to Sales & General Manager - Megan Bartlett twice.

3. Sent complaints on line (24 Hour Corporate) twice.

They seen evasive. I am very disappointed and do not recommend using their wet facilities.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

I got a membership for my son who is a minor for the 24 Fitness center in College Avenue in San Diego. After trying a day I realized the machines are really old and the hygiene is down to zero. Instead of sanitizer they put just water in their bottles. The hot room no one uses a towel to seat people leave a pool of sweat behind and next person just comes and seats in it without even knowing that a minute ago there was a lot of sweat there. No one cleaning. It is overcrowded and you don’t feel the air conditioning at all. Not only that people just get there and put whatever loud music they want disregarding anymore else around and management do not have any control on that.

When I told the manager that I did not like their machines because they were too old and that I wanted to cancel my son membership he insisted on us to try again and he decided to lure me with a free session with a guy Steven. I left that day feeling bad because I really did not want to stay there any longer and I didn’t care for any free session. I called the next day to talk to the manager again. His name is Benjamin by the way. He he started playing games pretending he was not listening. I remind him what he said that he promised that if I didn’t like it he was going to refund me in full and I was calling to say that no I definitely do not like and I would not waste my time with any free training. That the place is overcrowded and no clean and he started pretending he doesn’t listen and saying hello hello.

I called again and talk to Amherst and explained to her and she said she was going to leave a message for the general manager who was very rude and said I had already miss a session and he was not going to refund the money for it even when I explained that was a free session offered by Ben. He starteD raising his voice and said that either me or my son were not welcome there and that he was not longer going to be refunded a full amount. So rude and disrespectful person. I called my bank and let them deal with them but surely I will never deal with 24 fitness center at least in the College location in San Diego.

Get buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2022

I have had YMCA membership for several years now and decided to try 24 Hour Fitness since the membership price is lower and the facility is closer to my house. After just one interaction with horrible customer service representative at the front desk, I decided to go back to YMCA and continue paying higher membership fees. You get what you pay for.

Customer service at 24 hour fitness refused to honour a free 3-day pass and humiliated me with in front of other members who were at the front desk at that time by saying that their facility has several thousand members and if they let each “freebie” in the gym it would be overcrowded. His tone and expressions were unprofessional and totally proved their reputation of the company with ugly customer service. When I asked for a manager, they told me that manager is not available. Never coming back to this network of gyms! I am so happy I didn’t pay for their membership before “trying it out”. I would not recommend 24 hour fitness to anybody!

Original review: May 15, 2022

This company is not good at retaining members. They have proven to be awful at notifying members for annual renewals. I've been a member for 15 years and yet each year I constantly have to follow up with the billing department. I now clearly see the justification for class action lawsuits against them. The gym manager are not well vetted and lack the training qualifications to work with clients.

Original review: April 8, 2022

24 Hr Fitness, Littleton, CO location. Requested 3-day free trial pass online and received approval by email. Day 2 was rejected access stating the reason was my access was no longer valid. Despite my explanation that I had received a phone call invite to come in and 3 emails showing dates of trial period, was still rejected. Obviously, there will be no membership purchase consideration here and this is a poor attempt to bring in business.

Original review: April 4, 2022

The gym on La Paz in Laguna Niguel is always dirty. The cleaning crew uses dirty water to mop the men's locker room. Trash is left on the floor. Gum is left on the floor. Toilet paper isn't replaced. Attendants leave items in lockers that are left behind - weeks in some cases. Attendants allow members to bring gym bags onto the workout areas; a trip hazard. I have complained to attendants and no improvement. I have written to Corporate and no improvement, no contact and no follow-up. I have a 2-year membership, but will be asking for my money back if things do not change. This gym is filthy dirty and the company does nothing to correct the situation.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

My son and I went to see 24 Hour Fitness in Walnut Creek. I have belonged to Top Flight fitness clubs for well over 30 years but am relatively new to the Walnut Creek fitness area. Having been an avid USTA tennis player for 30 years. I have had the pleasure to visit numerous health and tennis clubs throughout Northern California. I was excited to visit 24 Hour Fitness in the hopes of finding a fitness club where my son and I (mostly my son) could work out. He is a high school swimmer and basketball player. I looked on-line and found and introductory complimentary 3 day pass for us to try. Since my son is under 18, I was told I needed to go the the 24 hour gym to sign up for the pass, that's where the problems began.

The facilities were over-crowded and had a very used tired look. (We had just visited Southern California and had a similar 3 day temporary pass to LA Fitness which turned out to be an incredibly nice, welcoming and modern club). The Sales Manager at 24 Hour Fitness, Gary **, was not a welcoming person...possibly because I'm Asian and straight. We tried to use the pool and were not permitted to because Mr. ** said my son was under 15 -- mind you that nowhere on the 24 hour website is this restriction posted; my son swims on his High School Swim Team and has swam competitively for 9 years - placing either first or second on his team in freestyle and butterfly.

Mr. ** basically said that, although the website offered us a 3 day pass, we really needed to buy an annual membership for $399 or monthly $54 membership. Having paid 5 times as much in my other club, that would have been fine, however, I wanted to try the club out before we bought. Since we couldn't use the pool, we went to the basketball courts; unfortunately, they were full. The rest of the facilities looked used and a bit run down. All in all this was a tremendously disappointing visit, especially since we had just visited LA Fitness and were very impressed -- they actually take you around and show you their facilities at LA Fitness as opposed to 24 Hour Fitness.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2021

I have had some issue with the billing statement, so I sent an email to 24H, within an hour, the location general manager has called back and left a void message explaining the issue and how to fix it, after that, I've received confirmation email that the issue has been resolved. Impressive!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

BEWARE! THIS ESTABLISHMENT IS HORRIBLE! DO NOT VISIT. In October 2019, prior to the COVID pandemic, I had came in to visit since I was interested in the beautiful gym. I had a friend who worked there, a personal trainer who I was going to give a try. I decided to commit and pay for the monthly membership ($50-60) a month a personal training package that cost ($1200).

Fast Forward.... About a week later, I got into a car accident that limited travel between Pennsylvania and New Jersey. I had contacted the gym several times, only to be hung up by everyone who worked there. This left me no option but to come in person. I was furious as I had to drive 2 hours. When arriving, people who worked there were talking about how I couldn't get a refund. In my head I was confused as to why, if I only had 3-5 days that I was just there to make a purchase. Anyways I got to speak with JOE **.

While speaking with him he informed me the process to get the refund, he told me to provide proof of conversation, my ID of residence (since there is no gym location in PA) and statement. All was provided to him that day. Guess what.. Till this day, several emails, phone calls, and action was taken. Every time I call the gym "he is not there", every time I email "There is no response". Their 1800 call centers are closed. I am waiting for a response ASAP and hopefully after they see this, they will REACH OUT because I am upset. I was told by several people to file a legal lawsuit. My conversation with JOE was recorded and all this information was given from him to ME. HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE, This place ROBS your MONEY! I will provide images since I can't upload recording of conversation with JOE. Email will show me being IGNORED. I will then REACH OUT TO BANKS.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

I'm a disabled individual, that suffers from several disabilities, which prevents me to use any type of face-covering during long periods of time. Regardless, and out of respect for others, I use a mask at groceries and any other place that I only have to use for a short period of time. Even at the gym, I use a mask when I'm checking in, and when I move from one machine to the other. But, unfortunately, when I'm at the machine working out, I cannot use anything covering my face. And because I could not use a mask, a face shield, or any other face-covering during my workout, I was denied entrance into the 24 Hours Fitness at Los Olivos Marketplace in Irvine by Ryan, the manager.

When I contact the corporate office, I was told by Jennifer **, and I quote, "If you are disabled, maybe you should consider use one of our workout apps". That is what the United States of America become? The country that I love, respect, and admire. Ms. ** and Ryan told me that the policy was imposed by the city of Irvine, the California Dep. of Public Health, and the OC Health Department. However, after deep research, I find out that what was told by the 2 individuals above was NOT TRUE.

24 Hour Fitness author review by Joey Thurman

24 Hour Fitness offers over 400 gym locations in 13 states, including California, Colorado, Florida, Hawaii, Maryland, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Texas, Utah, Washington and Virginia.

• GX24 classes: 24 Hour Fitness offers group exercise classes in four categories: Burn, Intensity, Strength and Bliss. Each class is taught by a trained instructor and offers motivation and community to help you meet your fitness goals.

• Fit:Perks Rewards: Members can sign up for the free Fit:Perks Rewards program, which allows you to earn points for working out and participating in 24 Hour Fitness’s social media channels. Points are redeemable for sweepstakes entries, giveaways, discounts and promotions.

• My24 app: 24 Hour Fitness helps you stay organized to reach your fitness goals with its My24 app. The app allows you to view updated class schedules, join challenges, set and conquer goals, link other fitness apps and wearable devices and more.

• Training Club 24: For clients who enjoy competition, 24 Hour Fitness’s Training Club 24 lets you compete in team workouts that build in intensity every week. Coaches help teams set and meet goals.

• Kids’ Club: Children up to age 12 can attend the Kids’ Club, which features CPR- and First Aid-certified attendants, a fast and secure check-in process and active play. Members can purchase single Kids’ Club visits or add monthly payments to their membership plans.

by Joey Thurman Fitness and Nutrition Advisor

Joey Thurman is a nationally recognized and spin certified health, fitness, nutrition expert and television host He is the author of "365 Health and Fitness Hacks That Could Save Your Life." His work has been featured in publications such as Men’s Health, U.S. News and World Report, NPR, People Magazine, Shape, NY Post, Fitness Magazine, ‪Women's Health and many more.

24 Hour Fitness Company Information