3.7/5 (755 ratings)

About Planet Fitness

Planet Fitness Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Planet Fitness?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Planet Fitness?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2021

Awesome. This gym really has everything you need. It's peacefully captivating and loving. Everyone is so nice and really goes after their goals. I have been going here for over two years and look at my results.

Resolution response: Sept. 9, 2021

I was able to call the club where I signed up and the employee there did a favor and let me cancel without going through the normal route. He had to break company policy to do it and for that I am thankful.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

If you don't plan to be very serious about exercise, this gym is okay. If you want things like barbell bench press, decent dumbbells, anything standard in a normal gym, you won't find it here. It's more like a poorly-stocked library than a gym. If you want to cancel, they make it hard. They want you to go to your 'home club' which I was at for one day when I signed up as I was traveling, told them I didn't live there and they promised that cancelling would be no trouble. It's not as easy as a phone call or anything like that. It's a month-to-month, cancel-anytime membership so long as you sent a certified letter or jump through a bunch of hoops that waste your time. This place is annoying and not much of a workout facility.

Get buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

I have emailed them and called them multiple times telling them that I wish to cancel my membership. They have consistently refused to do so and I had to pay my bank $15 to block any further ACH transactions from them. This morning I woke up and they had charged my debit card $38.54 despite having never received authorization to charge that card. At this point I think they're nothing more than a scam.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

This company is just like the cable company from SouthPark. They have no empathy or sympathy for anyone and take money from their guest accounts without authorization. They have no problem taking your money at the GYM, but as soon as they make a mistake they say they have no power to refund my account or even try to help at all. These people are the lowest pieces of scum on the planet! Don't waste your time, effort, or money with these pieces of **.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

Asked a front desk person about my upcoming annual charges, he said not to worry, no extra charges will be taken out besides my monthly membership. A month later I am charged annual fee. Spoke to Location manager who admitted that they had issues with staffing and training and apologized for misinformation but did not offer a refund. Then I spoke to customer service and they said that there was no misinformation given, but rather a miscommunication and the employee must have misunderstood my question (don't see how much clearer the question could be). In addition front desk staff is often absent, so I am not able to get into a massage chair or any other Black Card member amenities. Full disappointment all around.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

I used to belong to Planet Fitness, and paid for the year in advance. Now I can only sign up by giving them permission to withdraw money from my bank account?! No-one gets permission to do that, let alone a gym. Why in the world do they not accept credit cards like every other business in this nation?!!! They won’t have me as a customer, dictating how I’m going to pay for it. How arrogant can you be!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

I moved from Canada to America, and with covid I tried to cancel my membership while I was still in the country. They did not allow it as they stated it was "frozen" due to covid shut down of gyms. I then relocated to America and once the gyms opened up I was charged and I called to cancel. They told me I either had to come in (hello I'm not in the country) or write a letter. By the time my letter was received, I was billed ANOTHER cycle and denied any refund. This gym is the reason people are working out at home and finding other sources for fitness and healthier lifestyles. Zero circumstantial customer services, and in this day and age that is the bare minimum that should be provided to PAYING customers.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

After 4 years of not using my membership and 18 months without a job there has been no way to cancel my membership. I keep getting harassing calls to pay my bill which I refuse to considering the 4 years of donations they have already received from me.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

I signed my 17-year-old son up for a membership with Planet Fitness in Kingsport TN. I went in did the paperwork and got everything taken care of paying with a credit card. 2 months later after he had signed in using his phone at least 20 times they said he didn't have a membership. I went back in to straighten it out and they said it was a problem with their system and he would have to get a new membership. I signed him up again paying with a credit card. The employee I spoke with told me he was the manager and asked me for my checking account information. I told him that I didn't want to use my checking account, I wanted to use a credit card. He said the checking account was needed as an alternative billing.

The very next month they did an automatic draft from my checking account which didn't have any funds because I only get paid once a month, the draft was returned and my bank charged me a $30.00 NSF fee. I called and asked for the manager and it wasn't the guy who told me he was the manager. I explained what was going on and he said they always use the bank account and never credit cards, I had already made 2 payments with a credit card. I explained what I was told and he apologized and said that he would give my son 2 months free to make up for the misunderstanding. My son works out with his friends there, he likes the gym and I like him working out. So I agreed to eat the extra $10.00 and he would have 2 months free.

The very next day they hit my checking account again and cost me another $30.00 NSF fee. I called again and spoke with the same guy and he told me that they would do it again, they do it 3 times. He said they couldn't stop it because it was 3rd party billing. I called my bank and explained the situation, they said that the only way to be sure was to close my checking account and open another one. Right now I am on hold to speak with the manager again to make sure my son will be able to work out today without being embarrassed by getting turned down at the front desk. If my son didn't like this gym I wouldn't go through this.

Okay, after being on hold for 30 minutes I finally spoke with the manager again and made sure that my son's membership is notated in good standing. We still have to get the NSF fees taken care of, but it seems we are close to getting that taken care of. If they don't make this right, there will be another 1-star rating and another unflattering review.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

I was a new member at Planet Fitness. I had visited the club and worked out on three separate occasions with my son prior to these events. The third time I worked out I checked in with the manager, he helped me negotiate the app to check in, we exchanged pleasantries, and I proceeded immediately to the workout floor carrying a small gym bag in FULL view of the supposed manager. The prior two visits I had carried the same small bag. In this bag my son and I use it to contain our keys, phone, gloves, a belt, and most importantly diabetic testing supplies.

On this third visit I was told that I was not allowed to have a bag on the workout floor. Mind you, it is not a suitcase. Everything was contained in the bag very neatly and the bag was behind the equipment, not in the path where anybody could have remotely walked near it. An attendant at the club inform me it was against the club policy to have a bag on the workout floor. I have never heard of such a thing in my life…not allowed to have a gym bag in a gym(???)!

In my mind that would be analogous to banning pocketbooks in a shopping mall. Anyway, I tried to explain the necessity of the bag only to reach deaf ears. Frustrated, I went immediately to the manager who was quite rude and canceled my membership, as he was unwilling to discuss this matter. The manager even falsified my reason for leaving the club on my cancellation papers, as I suspect to protect his monthly membership performance data.

At this point, I feel violated, even possibly that my ADA protections have been ignored by this club. So my recommendation to anyone who needs to maintain readily available access to medical equipment consider avoiding this club, because you will have to carry that equipment in hand and let everyone around you know your medical condition(s). Healthcare is supposed to be a private, protected aspect of a person’s life. There’s a sign on the wall that talks about “judgment free zone” and “acceptance”… I would beg to differ at this point based on my experience, the manager’s rude behavior, and the selective application of their policies (I pointed out three suspected policy concerns just standing at the door canceling my membership only to see them ignored).

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

I go to Planet Fitness on Mack Rd at 2 am in the morning prior to work. I have been told by the employees that people have been breaking into cars. Planet Fitness needs to hire a security guard. When I asked the representative at Planet Fitness, he said that they can't afford to pay for a security guard. They need to hire a security guard.

Planet Fitness author review by Joey Thurman

Founded in 1994, Planet Fitness is an American gym that expanded into a franchise operation in 2003. Franchisees operate over 1,200 locations across the United States and are currently expanding into Canada and the Dominican Republic. Planet Fitness offers a full array of exercise machines, and many locations offer a selection of fitness classes.

• PF 30-minute Express Circuit: Planet Fitness makes it easy for patrons to complete a full cardio and strength training circuit in half an hour, using ten strength machines and ten cardio machines. A red-light, green-light system alerts those on the circuit when to switch machines.

• $10 membership: Planet Fitness offers a no-commitment $10/month membership option. It includes a T-shirt, unlimited access to one Planet Fitness club and unlimited access to training.

• Black Card membership: Planet Fitness’ Black Card membership is ideal for those who want more than just a basic gym membership. In addition to the benefits of a $10 membership, Black Card members enjoy use of all Planet Fitness franchise locations, unlimited tanning, half price drinks and many more benefits for about $20 a month.

• Free pe@pf service: Planet Fitness offers a program called pe@pf, which offers the benefits of a grown-up physical education course. Certified trainers will educate you on fitness equipment and routines and help you set goals appropriate for your current fitness level.

• Member perks: Every member can participate in Pizza Mondays and Bagel Tuesdays.

by Joey Thurman Fitness and Nutrition Expert

Joey Thurman is a nationally recognized and spin certified health, fitness, nutrition expert and television host He is the author of "365 Health and Fitness Hacks That Could Save Your Life." His work has been featured in publications such as Men’s Health, U.S. News and World Report, NPR, People Magazine, Shape, NY Post, Fitness Magazine, ‪Women's Health and many more.

Planet Fitness Company Information