Planet Fitness

Compare Health Clubs

Research top Health Clubs recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

My girlfriend and I signed up well over a year ago at the Flint, MI Planet Fitness. Both of us had signed up for the black card membership. I had signed us both up as in I signed all the paper work. So although her account was not in my name, I had signed for it. It was on my bank account, and my email. After using it one time shortly after we got it we tried canceling 8 months later. The person I spoke to explained that we were in a one year contract and said it was $90 to cancel (which later I saw on our terms & conditions was $58 not $90). I brushed it off and accepted the next 4 months to pay. After that time and our yearly payment I had tried canceling. Contacted the PF office and canceled. they accepted it. everything was all good right? Wrong. During my cancellation I had lost my job and didn't have any money in my account which PF deemed alright to continue to charge me.

After 8 or 10 times the company tried taking money out of an account that had $0 in it I noticed after getting a new job. I had called them and explained that I had already canceled my account to which they said I never did. Frustrated I explained that I never even really went to the gym in the first place but was fine with paying for that because that was my fault. The person I spoke to saw that we had only gone to the gym 1 time out of the whole year but couldn't cancel my account or stop the account being charged. I then asked why wouldn't anyone contact me if the account wasn't being paid for? Why try taking money out of an account 8 or 10 times with insufficient funds and not bother calling the person? Even local business' with like 5 employees and over 2,000 customers would at least contact the customer if transaction came up insufficient.

When I had asked about this the billing portion of PF the actual billing people that I talked to said, "Our billing comes from a 3rd party..." I was shocked to hear this. I spoke to the person who was head of this portion (in Michigan) and she just basically was like "Well tough luck". Finally getting my account canceled 2 months later I had found they had charged me again. When I called back they had discovered it was from my girlfriend’s account and when I canceled I had only canceled my own. I was outraged by this because I had signed everything on hers. But they had said, "We don't do joint accounts". This time being successful taking the money out I had demand to take it back but much like before they just shrugged their shoulders and said "Nothing we can do.”

What is the point of have a billing portion of a company if they don't handle anything to do with actual billing!? The person gave me the number to corporate to which I had called and they were more useless than the billing portion. The woman I had spoken to just said, "Contact billing... They are franchised and independently owned" This is honestly the worst company I have ever dealt with and it's sad because originally I thought it was great that they were a gym with an affordable membership.

The cleanliness of the gym and equipment doesn't seem to be consistent. We have complained about the greasy hand prints all over the mirrors in the stretching area. Sometimes the mirrors are clean but many times the same hand prints are visible for days. It is not a good testament for the effort put into keeping the gym clean and making it a gym that you are proud to be a member of. We used to see staff cleaning the gym frequently but over the past couple of months we haven't seen it being done very often.

This gym is mad sketchy!! I made a membership and only maybe went in once but they immediately charged me their annual membership fee. After about a month I had to go in and cancel personally but even after that I was charged about $40 when I had already canceled!!! I just don't understand. It wasn't even the membership fee because they took that already from the start! Don't ever come here!!! I can't believe a fitness chain that size resorts to such lowly ways and not get lawsuits. Shut down already!!!

I have attempted to cancel the membership since September. I was advised to write a letter which I did and when did not hear anything went into the store and was advised the membership could not be canceled due to a balance owed. When inquired a bit further about the balance was advised can not be discussed at the location and would need to call the billing dept or come back to speak with manager. I came back w/in a few days to speak with manager. (Dreamy) is the name I was given and she was not there so I called a few days later and spoke with an employee that gave me Greg from billing dept. I called Greg and left a message with voice service and have not received a callback (it's now going on two weeks).

I went back into the store and spoke with the manager on site (Steven) that explained the billing details in full and I was able to understand where the bal carried from in August 2015 so I am in agreement that I owe the 21.95 +10 late fee from over 1 yr ago but the nature of the complaint was that had the dispute been discussed in detail prior I could have paid the bal. Meanwhile my bank account is still being charged 21.00 monthly and was charged a renewal fee. I just want to cancel the membership with paying any additional cost.

Based on the negligence of the employees in not providing details of the charge that was outstanding and not getting a callback I have been charged a renewal fee and another month for service I haven't used or want. I submitted a complaint to the BBB and Planet Fitness never even responded. This a predatory company as they know most people will not close their bank account to ensure charges don't go through. So they don't respond or address the issue as they know they will continue to be paid.

I, along with a friend joined Planet Fitness in Jan of 2016. With a short time we had both incurred injuries (rotator cuff tear and back injury) that prevented us from using the facility. We realized we were not likely to be able to work out in the near. In July of 2016 I went to the club and asked them to cancel my membership. It was treated extremely by the young man at the register. He told me I had to pay them $66 for each of our accounts before I left the building or he would not cancel. I told him to cancel and send me a bill (I did not have the cash on me and certainly did not want to allow him access to more of my money) and I would pay the $132 to cancel.

Now, keep in mind that I had just been charged almost $90 for an "annual fee". We had only been members for six months... How can I have an "annual" fee. He refused to let me cancel unless I gave him $66 each on the spot. I did get the Regional Manager's name from him and called to let him know how upset I was. He NEVER responded to me. I reached out to the corporate office and did get a return call but when I called him back he NEVER responded again. I have paid them almost $500 and they continue to bill me. Everyone needs to be aware that this is a scam! DON'T JOIN THIS CLUB. There are other clubs that do business in a customer friendly manner, that have bigger and better facilities, and don't lure you in with a $10 per month advertisement and falsely lead you to believe that is the program.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Planet Fitness?

I just signed up with Planet Fitness promotion. $10 down and $10 a month on 11/15/2016. But why was I charged $10 on the 11/17/2016??? I just signed up. I called and spoke with an employee who was very nice and the guy said, that's basically how their system is set up. Needless to say, I hung up the phone still confused.

I also created an account on here because of the issues I had with Planet Fitness account cancellation. I hope this helps others. This actually happened a couple of years ago. I cancelled at my local Planet Fitness in upstate NY. The reason I cancelled was the my stepdaughter cancelled her account and they continued to bill her. After a heated argument with the desk staff (no manager available), nothing was resolved, so I cancelled my account on the spot. I found a couple of months later that they continued to bill me. I went into the local facility and again had a heated discussion. The person at the desk could see where I had requested to cancel my account two months prior and also saw that it wasn't cancelled and that I was subsequently billed. But the person could or wouldn't do anything to fix it. I was told the company policy was... that I needed to give them a copy of my back account showing the overbilling.

I basically told them to ** off. So what I did was went to the Better Business Bureau website and created a complaint. They have to respond to those complaints. I also went to the New York State Attorney General website and also entered a complaint. I was amazed that I received two different calls from the Attorney General’s office within a few days. I ended up getting my refund in about 5 days. Then I used social media to beat Planet Fitness for about a year. NOW, I was thinking about going and re-joining again today, because the facility is nice, good equipment, nice staff, etc... and on a whim I did a search and see that not only has nothing changed, my issues was not isolated, but the norm. It's really too bad because they could be good without this kind of crap.

So, I would recommend anyone that has this same issue, does a cut and paste of some of these reviews and give links back to this and other consumer sites and post them on Facebook, Google reviews, Tripadvisor, and other review type social media platforms. If enough people post and continue to post, it will make a difference. Looks like I won't be joining today.

Like many others I was taken in by the advertising of a low cost friendly alternative to a hard core gym. I signed up for the standard membership and upgraded to the black card online. On my first visit I had to wait for the staff to finish talking to each other about some member they said was rude, I finally got their attention and was told "Ok you're all set. No t-shirt, no black card, no tour."

On my 2nd visit I asked about the black card and was told it's not something they give you it's just the same key tag with upgraded membership. Another member overheard the conversation and told the staff member that he was wrong and that I should have indeed been given a black key tag, which he did give me after looking into it. I asked if I could use the tanning booth and he said yes and that I would just need to inform the front desk every time. I didn't know this because I never received the tour and nothing was ever explained to me.

On the 3rd visit at midnight with the gym totally empty I asked to use the hydro bed and was told I would need my key tag. I told him the other guy said I didn't need it and all I had to do was inform the front desk. He said the other guy was wrong and I did need it and I would also need an appointment. Why would I need an appointment at midnight with the gym totally empty??? In all honestly the old saying holds true, you get what you pay for. No doubt your experience will vary depending on location, in my area (RI) this gym sucks.

I myself like I see others on here have had a horrible experience with Planet Fitness on Camp Wisdom Road in DALLAS, Texas. I have only used the facilities two times since I signed up in April of 2015. I tried to cancel due to me not using the facilities, and like everyone on here states they hide behind the contract! I then completed the year and even paid the annual fee one more time, and because I travel in my occupation I thought I would be able to just call up, email, or fax something to cancel, and I like others on here was told I had to bring a letter or send it certified in the mail.

So they hit me up for payments for another 6 months, and then when I did come to town and found time to go by the gym The LIGHTS were OFF, and the gentleman inside still stated that he could not take my letter due to the systems being down! I am so over this horrible horrible company, but I am going to contact the news media until someone shuts this company down! Do not give them access to your bank account, they will wipe you out!

Ever since I have signed up with Planet Fitness, I've only experienced bad news. I signed up in the summer and explicitly told them that it was a "summer gig" being back home from college. They did advertise "no contract". When it came time to cancel they told me I had signed up for a year. I called several times to fix that and they never did, only telling me the same thing over and over that I was binded, which I never agreed to. They billed both of the cards on my account numerous times. They have yet to fix that. They did not let my 16-year-old brother into the gym multiple times. Poor gym quality and very limited space. This is a beware from the shadiest business I have ever dealt with: whatever you do, do not sign up for Planet Fitness.

I, like many here, created this account solely to warn others about this shady corporation. It's unfortunate because I know Planet Fitness will never take any of these reviews into consideration and adjust their practices. However, if my review will help even one person, it's worth it. Please, learn from all of our mistakes. They've stolen enough money from us, don't give them any more. I've had the same experience as everyone here. I moved out of the country and forgot to cancel my membership. A family member informed me I had to "write a letter" officially canceling my membership. No fax, no email, nothing from this century. They wanted a letter, which I assume it's because it takes the longest to receive and allows them more time to steal more money from you.

When I called and spoke to a "manager", he refused to give me his name and stated "it's in the contract" that I have to send in a letter and that's the only way. Forget your stupid contract, I'm halfway around the world! I explained to him that I couldn't get a letter and my US account will soon be cancelled. He responded with, "We will just send you to collections". I was shocked. It was as easy as logging into a computer and canceling the membership. Instead now I'm overseas, being charged for a crappy gym with even crappier service.

It's just sad whoever is running this business. They would surely make more money if they treated customers fairly. People would recommend them. Instead, they're being bashed for their unethical practices everywhere. I hope by the time I return to the states, they've gone bankrupt. Either way, I'll be paying a little more and going with 24 hour fitness. They're pricey, but I've NEVER had a problem with setting up or canceling accounts. Planet Fitness is a poor excuse for a business.

I moved out of the area, no transfer club to join. Had to take time off work to send certified snail mail at the post office (which still does not prove the mail is actually coming from the member. It only allows the club to continue to take money longer). Rude and inappropriate treatment when asking if there is a logical method to cancel such as fax, email or some form of technology from the year 2016. The response was "NO" or you can drive hundreds of miles to walk into the club and cancel?!? Its been weeks and it still has not been canceled! Never again!!!

My name is ** and this is about Planet Fitness on Hanover Ave, Allentown, PA. I recently register at this location. Today was my first day actually working out. I walked in give my info since I didn't get a card the day I register. I receive my card and a shirt (cool!). I asked about the trainer and she told me that I have to put my name on a list and showed me the schedule for the trainer. But, "We don't have a trainer right now. It's being trained and probably next week will be taking appts." the attendant said. I said, "Ok, no problem. I understand." Then I ask, "Do you have an idea where should I start since is my first time here and I have not get a walk around to meet the facility..." to what she gave me a look like if I was asking for money or something. So I told her, "You know what? Just tell me where the restrooms are, the rest I'll figure it out." No "Welcome to Planet Fitness" or at least "If you need help with anything..." Not at all.

This is not my first rodeo at Planet Fitness. A couple yrs ago I went to the facility in Horseheads, NY and these people make you feel so welcome that you really want to go every day. Here in Allentown, you have to get right in front of the counter if you at least want to get an eye contact. Is like nobody cares if you visit them or not. It's sad because I will still visiting. I need to lose weight and this is what I need to do but I guess I will be "Googling" best ways to start your workout or gym for beginners, I don't know. It would be more enjoyable the experience is the staff would care.

My girlfriend and I signed up for a Planet Fitness membership at the lancaster location. Due to illness and just overall work schedule we just were not able to utilize the membership. Come October we have tried to cancel the membership. Now every October apparently they charge a 39 dollar annual fee. This fee has tried to run through our checking account several times causing a check cancellation fee of 388 dollars a pop. In total I believe we have had about 150 dollars in fees. On saturday October 15th I was able to go down to the store location and cancel my membership no problem. On Monday October 17th My girlfriend tried to cancel her membership and was told no, that we owe them that 39 dollar fee and until we paid it she would not be able to cancel.

I have now contacted their main membership line and talked to the assistant manager at the lancaster location and they have pretty much told me to read my contract and pay them. My response being in that case I would consider paying them once they paid me the 150 in fee I have had through my bank, or they could just do the right thing seeing as how we have never utilized their services and just cancel the membership. They said no. I then in turn stated in that case I would be contacted the news media and the state consumer office as well as my bank. In a very sarcastic tone the assistant manager stated that was my choice, said have a good day and hung up on me. They hide behind their contract and from what I have read online they constantly do this. It's in my opinion not only bad business but borders on extortion.

I signed a friend up for a membership because her weight had become a health issue. She unfortunately passed away because of the issues she faced and never was able to claim this membership. As advertised, there was no indication that there was a cancellation fee because "no contracts" was all over my sign up sheet. Now I am stuck paying a cancellation fee for an unclaimed, never used membership. Worst service and trip off.

I cancelled my membership at the Charleston, SC Planet Fitness on August 12. I thought everything was cool with the cancellation. Then Planet Fitness charged me for the $39 yearly maintenance fee. I looked back at my cancellation and realized that although it was dated and signed on August 12, the cancellation date is filled in as September 17. Since I haven't even been to this so-called gym since July and never intend to go again, they just stole that $39 from me. If you join Planet Fitness (and I DON'T recommend it), be sure to read everything carefully. Planet Fitness scams people.

This gym constantly takes money from you even when your membership expires. When you call, it's always a different story. It's sad when your bank speaks bad about a corporation and knows they're taking people's money. As long as they have your account number, they will continue to use it and withdraw funds from your account even after cancelling. I hate Planet Fitness. Please be aware!!!

Basically they are a ripoff. When me and my wife plus good friend signed up to join we paid what was supposed to get a new enrollment fee and then first monthly $10 payment. All good. No problem. Well what nobody said at the time is that in a year they were gonna take out another $30 membership fee. Well that got my wife's account 3 $30 overdraft fees. So I'm sure somewhere buried down in the given print it did say something about a yearly membership fee. Well our bad for not reading it top to bottom but when you initially call the fee an enrollment fee one would assume it's a one time fee.

So anyway we tried to call and pleasantly I might add asked them to please refund the amount so that we would not be charged overdraft fees and that we would head down immediately and put the money in the account and then they could turn around and pull the money right back out. The bank was OK with this and we had it all set up. All Planet Fitness had to do was agree to it. Well not only did they not agree they were completely rude to us and told us to "read the fine print next time and get over it." Verbatim. Exactly how their customer service rep said it.

So beware. This company could care less about the consumer. All they care about is the bottom dollar. Which is completely ignorant cuz they lost 3 customers who intended on being with them for at least the next few years probably indefinitely... at 10 bucks a month for 1 year would have put $360 into that crappy business. Instead they settle for $90 rather than take care of 3 faithful, good intentioned customers. Beware. Bad company.

I joined Planet Fitness in August and I was charged a yearly fee in October and as one customer stated the showers are never warm. Had I known I was going to get charged 41.34 a couple of months after signing up, I wouldn't have ever signed up. This gym is a rip off. I'm going to cancel and never go back to them.

I can honestly say dealing with this company has been one of worst experiences on multiple levels. They do so many backhanded dealings, while not breaking any laws directly they take advantage of being either misleading or sneaky in the manner in which things are presented and then make correcting any situation almost so difficult that many people end up just "eating" the fees just to be up and done with it. I know that choosing another establishment may not be as convenient, to begin with as they may be further away or not have the same hours but in the long run, it will save a multitude of pain and headaches. AS WELL AS MONEY!

Well I was thinking about going here eventually. However, I needed to use the restroom, about to urinate myself. Anyways, this snobby girl at front desk at 7:18 pm in moline, said unless I was a member, no. I mean, it's just a restroom. Everyone's nasty sweaty ass does more than taking a piss... What if I was a pregnant woman, they pee a lot. Discriminatory extreme... I'd find somewhere else, instead of coworkers rather talk & be snobby and act like you're the worst thing they've seen. Thank you for this experience.

Planet Fitness enrolls people telling them that their no contract plan can be cancelled at any time however they charge a 42.00 fee saying it's their annual fee even though when the representative was asked they say no. Do not fall for these ripoffs. They are scammers.

I joined the Planet Fitness in Fairview Heights, IL over 3 years ago and found out that it was corporate owned. This location is the worst I have seen when it comes to cleanliness. The manager has no clue on how to manage the employees. There also seems to be a revolving door due to conflict with management and the employees, from the conversation that I have had with multiple personnel in the club. I tried on numerous occasions to report the deplorable conditions of the club to corporate, only to have the manager and his staff tell me that they CANNOT give out the number to corporate. This is a practice that I TRULY DO NOT understand! You would think that if you were running a business, that you would invite feedback on how to better serve your clients or members.

Needless to say, I finally had a chance to talk with a corporate employee about my concerns but only after I had a chance meeting with this person in the Planet Fitness Club. I reported the issues and even showed her the pictures of the toilets, sinks, urinals and lack of upkeep by her staff. She addressed those issues that day but after a few days, they were back to business as usual. I left the Planet Fitness family for multiple reasons but only after I reported to the manager my concerns.

Earlier this year, 2016, I joined the Planet Fitness family once again (Edwardsville, IL location) but only by the enticement of being able to utilize the multiple club location within the area. This new membership had promise, so I thought, with the 24 hr access and unlimited club Usage outside your home gym. To my surprise, I went to the Fairview Heights location because of the convenience when leaving work. After joining this second time, I probably used the Fairview Heights gym at least 30+ times but on 09/30/2016, I went to swipe my membership card only to be turned away by the manager, stating that I have used up the allotted visits at his location. I am not sure but this practice by Planet Fitness seems to be false advertisement! I am curious if anyone else is experiencing the same problem with their membership at Planet Fitness?

Went to the club and enrolled, was never told about the annual fee and they claimed they e-mailed a copy of the contract signed but they did not. Worst club to ever join - scam all the way and when you ask to talk to a supervisor no one has numbers or emails or anything - asked supervisor for corporate office phone number and she could not provide. If that doesn't smell scam I don't know what does.

I recently just received an annual fee of $39.00 totaling $40.76 from Planet Fitness. Yes... Like most people I did not read the contract and if I did I would have seen the annual membership fee. I am a Black card owner. I signed up with the full intention of just paying $20.00 a month. I admit that I am at fault for not reading the contract but from my knowledge isn't an annual fee suppose to be yearly, meaning 1 year. If that was the case then I absolutely would not have any problems with that.

Since being charged this $40.76 I went back and read the contract and everything pertaining to it. I signed up in May 2016 and payed the sign up fee of $15.80. My monthly fee then started the following month June 2016 of 19.99 totaling $20.89. Then again billed monthly for July, August and then September 2016. So now I am being billed $40.76.

It hasn't even been a 5 month billing period so how it this an annual fee? I would've been more understanding if the contract had said semi annual then it would have been all on me. I haven't been there since August. I need some answers and I'm really not going to stop until I get a refund and I shouldn't have to pay a cancellation fee... It's just absurd!!!

I signed up for this gym when I was on a break from college and at first it worked for me. However, now that I am back in school, I can use the college gym for free. So I cancelled my membership via certified letter and since I had been a member for over a year I had no cancellation fees. I even have a document that is signed by their assistant store manager that says I owe no more fees. They then charged me 39.00 dollars. How is that for **. That is after the employee quality decreased significantly. They had no ac in the month of august. My coworker got a rash from using their shower once. Never give any business your banking information to auto draft ever. I learnt a lesson.

PF was supposed to put a freeze on my account when I was found to have a football sized tumor in my abdomen. I provided documentation... that apparently wasn't documented in my file. So, a year later, still unable to work out, I found that they've been billing me the whole time! They refuse to give me my money back OR cancel my pending 'annual fee'. The email containing my original contract is full of broken links to images for the contract, so... I have NO record of what it actually said. Hooray! Oh, and my annual fee runs tomorrow, apparently. I'm responsible for that too, according the contract I can't see.

It's my second time having a black card membership. Planet Fitness gives me nothing but trouble when I have tried to cancel it. I couldnt cancel it until "the one time annual fee" was taken out and then the cancel fee on top of it. Planet Fitness is a complete rip off and I wont be joining this gym ever again. NEVER SIGN THE CONTRACT!!

Been a member for 6 weeks. Paid for 1 year in advance. Showers always cold/unusable. Corp. Spokesholes invoke Franchisee responsibility. Corporation= Don't care. BSery artist's Franchisee= Don't care. Another Ripoff company. Avoid this company. Blatant ** artists.

This business is a ripoff. They continue to withdraw from my account once I cancelled verbally over the phone and in person. When I went in to verify, they failed to have me sign off to cancel and when I seen the fees I called them again and they said I didn't come in to sign when in fact I did and they coincidentally don't have any record of that. They wanted me to sign electronically and I said no. I asked them to print what they wanted me to sign and so they did but the manager said that would not close my membership even though I signed the actual paper. The manager said he will not be refunding me nothing because they had not record of me coming in to cancel. This is the worst and ugliest place of business, the employees and management are rude.

Planet Fitness Company Profile