2.19/5
Based on 188 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

848 Planet Fitness Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 22, 2018

I have tried canceling this multiple times. I've sent a certified letter requesting the cancellation and I'm still charged. They are charging an old bank account that I no longer use that is still going through. I am not going to pay their fees for trying to cancel. They are a scam and they take advantage of their customers by making them jump through hoops to cancel a gym membership. It should not be this difficult to do. It's bad customer service.

Original review: June 21, 2018

This Planet Fitness Coachella CA location doesn’t honor their own contracts as it pertains to #3. Membership - (G). Unfortunately they favor some members over others. Not Good. In an attempt to share a machine today with another member they simply said No. They’d been on it one-hour already. Reporting to a staff member she attempted to tell them but to no avail. Zero curiosity here. Discrimination as well. Try anywhere else where they treat members equally.

Get expert buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 18, 2018

Do not join! It's a trap! When I joined, they pitched me the one year membership, cancel at any time, etc. Even said I could log in and manage my account online. LIES! When I logged in online, I selected the option for my account to not automatically renew at the end of my year's contract. Apparently that means nothing. Unless you send a certified letter or go down to the gym in person to be hassled and pressured by their managers, you are NOT allowed to cancel, and the staff is so rude on the phone. Will NEVER recommend to anyone.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I got a membership some time ago at the Fort Wayne Indiana Planet Fitness. They claim to have no contract no hassle membership. On 7/31/2017 I had my first of two failed back surgeries and have repeatedly called and sent letters by mail to cancel my membership. I am still being charged monthly for membership I am unable to use. I was told that memberships can’t not be canceled over the phone, not only am I being charge but so is social security, because SilverSneakers pays for my basic membership, I pay for the extra black card membership. Every month $9.99 comes out of my checking account which doesn’t seem like a lot, but me being on social security disability, it is quite a lot for a service I am unable to use and that money can have been used to pay medical bills etc.

For 15 months Planet Fitness has pocketed $149.85 of my personal money, and whatever they are charging SilverSneakers. For a company that claims to have no contracts and no hassle policy, it is impossible for someone who no longer drives due to health reasons to stop them from continuing to take $9.99 from my checking.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I went to PF mid-April to cancel my membership. The dark haired, young girl with glasses told me I had to wait until May 4th to cancel. I assured her I did not sign up for a membership on that date, and she argued that I did. How do I know I didn’t sign up? May 4th is my birthday. The LAST thing I would be doing on my birthday is signing up for a gym membership. She told me I needed to come back. Work and life got busy. I came back June 11. I had already been charged the yearly equipment fee which is fine. The woman at the desk gladly canceled my membership, and she asked me why I was canceling.

I told her the gym is always too busy, and I got another gym membership. She then informed me I came one day late, and they will be charging me for the month of June. (I was there 6 days before my membership payment is due!!!) June 10 was a Sunday, so I’m not even sure the one day mattered. When I get my cancellation email it states canceling reason of “No time- Too busy- No usage.” I don’t remember telling her ANY of those reasons. Then, I look to see my original membership date was APRIL 4! So, I could have canceled when I ORIGINALLY wanted to and saved $60 in the process (May/June membership + equipment fee). Extremely frustrated!! Thanks PF!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Planet Fitness?

Original review: June 14, 2018

I just want to start by saying that I was completely naive when it came down to the actual decision to come to Planet Fitness. By far the most immoral company I have ever dealt with. Just this morning I went in, was curious to check it out, seduced by the promise of low monthly fees and quickly figuring out why on my “tour”. Anyway, I didn’t care about the lack of weights. I was just there to run on the treadmill anyways. So, after my “tour” with caution I agreed to the $10 membership and paid all of my fees upfront - in cash because I did not have my bank info on me (luckily) or I’m sure I’d be out of a lot more.

I paid the $40 upfront just THIS MORNING, and came home and did the thing I should have done before even going there, read these reviews... of people being ripped off and overcharged and double charged and continuous nonstop charges after membership cancelation. So, with bearing that in mind, I got in my car, a few hours after just paying the start up costs PLUS a month in advance for not having my bank information on me at the time, I went back to Planet Fitness, spoke to the manager and explained it just wasn’t what I wanted and cancelled my membership.

I later asked about a refund of my $40 because I did not even touch their equipment once, and cancelled just a few hours after paying. They said “no” and said it was in their policy (that they don’t give you a copy of by the way.) HUGE RED FLAG, that was non-refundable. Really? Because that wasn’t in the contract that I read. Also, what about the extra $10 you charged me for a month in advance? I can’t even get THAT back? Absolutely disgusted by the sheer ignorance of this company. They are complete rip offs. Money hungry and there’s no excuse for this. I didn’t even have a membership for 3 hours and they still refused to refund my money plus the extra they charged.

It’s a bad place anyways! They give you free pizza. They have candy at the desk. It’s a GYM. Why would you push poor eating habits on people trying to improve their health and well-being? Not only are they absolute rip offs but they have some of the most idiotic rules I have EVER heard of. They call it a “judgement free zone” yet if you break any one of their dozens of rules, they sound a loud alarm and publicly shame and humiliate you and escort you out. I have heard nothing but terrible things. I have experienced nothing but terrible things. Just run at the park for free. Save your money, since you’re probably there on a budget anyways, because they WILL suck you dry. Or go to a gym that offers way more and doesn’t have stupid rules and isn’t all about ripping their customers off. It’d rather pay $30-$50 somewhere else and get what I’m paying for, this place is an adult playground. Period.

Original review: June 14, 2018

My daughter signed up with Warminster Planet Fitness. She went to discuss the double charges. When her account was charged TWICE they (planet fitness) caused an overdraft fee of $28.00 charged to her account. When my daughter asked to manager for the refund- she said -"oh that's your bank." Here are facts and you decide. Planet Fitness charged her the $39 once (which I have proof that the dollars exited my account) then again charged $39 which I have proof again that the dollars exited my account--the second one caused an overdraft fee of $28.00 which Planet Fitness denied...then after ALL of that - they refunded the $39 to her account and said OPPS but still won't admit it or refund it...

Planet Fitness- if you read this- your accounting department is inferior and I employ EVERYONE to check to make sure they did not make the same mistake with your account... They only admit to it when they get caught and please don't dismiss a child just because you think she is not smart enough to figure you out...so sorry everyone-I just want to protect you.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I joined Planet Fitness about a year and a half ago. I saw that they had a special price to join because it was a new facility that was opening in Tustin. It was only twenty dollars to join and was even given a cute T-shirt! What a way to get me pumped! The facility included all access to all gyms, no contract and even an unlimited access to water massage beds and tanning booths. I love how clean the gym is and how extremely friendly the staff always is.

My favorite part of the gym is the circuit workout. I always feel good when I finish my workout. I feel it works all of my muscles. Another wonderful thing about this gym is I became pregnant and was put on bedrest and they were very accommodating to let me put my account on hold until I was able to return to my workout routine. I highly recommend this gym for so many reasons. It is an exceptional gym!!

Original review: June 11, 2018

Staff very knowledgeable and friendly. Members are awesome as well. Machines are 75% new. Totally enjoy being a member. But I would like to see more weight (room) equipment, there is roughly room for 6-8 now.

Original review: June 11, 2018

Planet Fitness is a wonderful gym. I have tried four or five other gyms over the years. This is the best gym experience. It is open 24/7 the staff is always nice, the place is very clean and there are many machines to use. It never feels crowded, I have never had to wait to use equipment. I highly recommend Planet Fitness.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Fell asleep at Planet Fitness, Ok well I broke my neck 6 years ago.. after a year and half of medications during the years of 2014-16 I would go to Planet Fitness in the early morning hours when no one was there except a few and the guys (employees) at night would give me extra time on hydro beds and coins for massage chair. I was woken up 7-8 AM by the whole squad of local P.D where I was arrested for public intox. The employee was a woman who didn't like men that much wink wink - so I guess she never liked me as I would ask for ONE extra coin when she was working. She didn't like giving me time on the hydro bed, even though I was aware of other people coming to the chair, as there are two!

I was denied a blood test and a breath. I had to sit in a cell for 12 hours. PF has caused me to suffer from agoraphobia and it is very hard to walk to the local Rite Aid for milk. The H.R division def needs a review on their company LOGO - judgement free zone, hardly... sad and any other person, older, younger... would have just got tapped on the shoulder kinda like what I do when I go to church with my dad's best friend when he falls asleep. I was arrested on 6/16/16. I like to spread holistic awareness to remain well in life... a lot of other ways to limit pain and what not. Best wishes to all. DON'T FALL ASLEEP! Even if it's for 10 min. : / I have all these extra coins that was returned to me along with a ticket that I did not pay, had a warrant out for my arrest, had to spend more on costs and fines... Over drafted my bank account because of that... Ended up winning in court, all charges dropped and withdrawn.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Would like to see better ab equipment in all of the locations, particularly the crunch machine, and stop the loud music, as some of the locations, I do not visit because of this. Most people wear headphones these days anyway, so why have the music sooooo loud, since not all the folks may like what you are playing. On the days that food is given, so nice, but pizza really, when you are trying to help people lose weight? What about fruit, veggies, and healthful bars instead of bagels... Thanks so much.

Original review: June 10, 2018

The Gym is great, the equipment are good & plenty and I love the Atmosphere. However, some of the Staff could be a little nicer & more willing to help the customers.

Original review: June 9, 2018

Facilities, equipment and hours are different according to the neighborhood you live. This is discriminatory. I have to use different gyms to get the hours or equipment I want for the same price as someone who has all the perks and facilities.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I like the gym, but it needs a sauna. Always clean and no muscle heads. Could promote the personal trainers better. Machines are always cleaned and up to date. A couple more drinking water stations would be helpful.

Original review: June 9, 2018

Staff is friendly to certain members. Not a well-rounded society! Not helpful with equipment too. Thank goodness I can handle myself but others have difficulty.

Original review: June 8, 2018

Great price compared to other gyms, very clean environment and very nice constant staff. Great Perks as well, i.e. message chair, hydro message beds, tanning, plenty of equipment. But does not have a good training program. Does not put up with gym bullies.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I’ve been a black card member for 4 months now. Besides there being a discrepancy in the start up price as opposed to the advertisement price, I joined anyway. Since a member I have noticed certain hidden restrictions on the usage of the massage machines and also a popular weight machine that’s the only one of its kind that I like to use that’s tied up often. A lot of times this machine as well as others are often tied up by other members who prevent people from using them by leaving their personal belongings on and around the machines while they go elsewhere in the gym to workout on other machines. What’s sad about this is I finally approached personnel about the issue and nothing was done about it. One time an employee witnessed it as it happened while he was cleaning the gym equipment and did nothing about it. For whatever it’s worth, this is my continued experience 5-6 days a week at various hours of the day.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I use the treadmill 3 to 4 times per week. I'm limited to building stamina since recovering from past Cancer treatments. The machines are always in top working order with the gyms procedure being that the users wipe down equipment with a disinfectant after use. I have used some of the other equipment and found all working well. The nice thing about Planet Fitness is most people are there to get or stay in shape. Not bodybuilders. I also like that the staff is not looking over your shoulder. If you need them, simply ask. Good basic gym at a low price.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Planet Fitness is a very nice place, nice people, good trimmings, enough machines and no waiting. One on one advice and very clean place. I liked it. I am not able to go anymore, I miss it.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Clean with very friendly and helpful staff. Usually never too crowded with more than an ample variety of workout equipment. Located in a strip mall, so parking is usually available.

Original review: June 7, 2018

When someone isn't utilizing the facility and tries to cancel don't continue to bill them and say it's per the agreement. It's a racket and it needs to be regulated more. I paid 12 months and attended once in 12 months and went to cancel. And was told I owed for another month because the fee did not go through an account I'm trying to close creating multiple NSF fees. What a joke. Never again. First kicking out ** people, now overbilling us. I'll never patronize again, I can promise you that!

Original review: June 6, 2018

Planet Fitness is a great gym. The staff is friendly, the environment is nice and clean and you have plenty of equipment to utilized. It is one of the best gym investments I have ever made.

Original review: June 6, 2018

Have belonged to a fancy club and then to a storefront one. Planet Fitness has a number of advantages. First, it's not a see to be seen, meet up Place. You wear what you want. People focus on their workouts. Next there's enough equipment. Given, I'm there in during the work day. However, weekends aren't bad.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I wasn't looking for a super fancy expensive gym. At ten dollars a month, even if I skipped a few months, it wasn't a problem. Perfect for everything I need, but no pool.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I have a black card membership and regularly use the Menomonee Falls and West Bend locations. Menomonee Falls is a busier location, but still nice to hop onto a treadmill on the way home from work. I do 2-3 hour workouts closer to home in West Bend when possible. It's quieter and seems a little cleaner. I love the ease of the 24 hour schedule. It has been great for me as I was going through grad school and working about 50 hours a week. It also has been a nice quiet atmosphere to get back into fitness after going through breast cancer; chemo, radiation and 10 surgeries. I still have a lot of work ahead of me to work on areas where scar tissue restrains some of the muscles and pulls things out of alignment, but I am getting there, and I feel very comfortable in the atmosphere at Planet Fitness.

Original review: June 5, 2018

You go in, get your workout done and leave. Equipment repairs and shower repairs are done, but slowly (an aggravation). Otherwise, not bad at all. Price is excellent and I recommend it.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I would like the gym to have a hot tub in the bathrooms. Example one in the women's and a Separate one for the men. So it isn't threatening and is a safe place to relax sore muscles.

Original review: June 5, 2018

They could let you try the extras at least once before you decide if they are something that would work for members. It is about double the cost and they allow it once for two days. Since I have been a member a sign-up sheet with too many names, you would be there way too long to take advantage.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Equipment is very poorly serviced. They promote that you have access to music and TV just with headphones but more than half of the machines only work Left or Right or not at all. The other problem I have is that they promote the gym with no commitment or contract but they charge annual fees and early termination fees.

Planet Fitness expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1994, Planet Fitness is an American gym that expanded into a franchise operation in 2003. Franchisees operate over 1,200 locations across the United States and are currently expanding into Canada and the Dominican Republic. Planet Fitness offers a full array of exercise machines, and many locations offer a selection of fitness classes.

• PF 30-minute Express Circuit: Planet Fitness makes it easy for patrons to complete a full cardio and strength training circuit in half an hour, using ten strength machines and ten cardio machines. A red-light, green-light system alerts those on the circuit when to switch machines.

• $10 membership: Planet Fitness offers a no-commitment $10/month membership option. It includes a T-shirt, unlimited access to one Planet Fitness club and unlimited access to training.

• Black Card membership: Planet Fitness’ Black Card membership is ideal for those who want more than just a basic gym membership. In addition to the benefits of a $10 membership, Black Card members enjoy use of all Planet Fitness franchise locations, unlimited tanning, half price drinks and many more benefits for about $20 a month.

• Free pe@pf service: Planet Fitness offers a program called pe@pf, which offers the benefits of a grown-up physical education course. Certified trainers will educate you on fitness equipment and routines and help you set goals appropriate for your current fitness level.

• Member perks: Every member can participate in Pizza Mondays and Bagel Tuesdays.

• Best for: fitness beginners and those who need a supportive gym environment.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs