Planet Fitness

Compare Gyms and Fitness Centers

Research top Gyms and Fitness Centers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Misleading Marketing. PF Black Card promo reads: "unlimited guest privileges to any PF location". Total Body Enhancement sign up sheet reads: "I understand and voluntarily accept and assume full responsibility on my behalf and on my guest's behalf for the risk of injury". The Agreement reads: "Black card guests are not entitled to use tanning or any other black card benefit or amenity".

I signed up believing my guest would have unlimited privileges (he accompanied me generally 1 day per week) when he accompanied me only to find that the 'fine print' contradicted the promotional materials. When I pointed this out, the manager was unpleasant to speak with so I called the main office and was told they could assist my guest in obtaining a black card. I suggested their promotional material needed to be honest.

I have spoken with management for three years about the use of cellphones by members while they are sitting on exercise equipment. One third members at any time are using Facebook or texting and many of these are doing this on the equipment preventing people from using it for exercise. Management seems to want to defend people for using phones versus using equipment for exercise. This is not as bad at all facilities but terrible with the one in Canton, Ohio.

I like TV when on the treadmill. The new manager of the Finneytown building cut the main line from the remote to the TV. The signal now comes in weak or blippy or freezing. He has replaced it with one thin line, and the TV experience is not good. Other members have complained. The news stations do not come through. Also, a lock has been put on one of the lockers and left there by one of their female gym members. The sign walking in the locker room clearly says day lockers only. The locker is empty. This new guy is trying to get his business going, and I understand this; but at the same time, he has made me feel like working out more than once a week not worth it. If he improves the TV experience, I would work out more than once a week. If I am noticing things like this, others are too.

I stayed within my 1 year contract with PF. I walked in, canceled, paid my dues and walked out. 4 months later somehow they were able to find my credit card number and is now charging me. I called to ask what is going on. Ashley states that I am still a member there and have a huge balance. They need to do what they say they will do. Something is not right and I don't think they know what they are doing.

Terrible place, lazy staff, sleeping this morning with a gym full of people... Too lazy to clean the tanning beds, making customers wait. Refusing to give a district manager name and number? Why so secretive, maybe you did something wrong Katie!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Planet Fitness?

Planet Fitness Webster Mass - I went in with my 17-year-old son to obtain a membership for him. I was told by the young girl behind the counter that it's only 1999 per month and that was that. I gave them my banking information to have it withdrawn from my account monthly and found that they charged me an annual membership without disclosing that information to me upfront. I called to ask what this charge was for and the young girl that answered the phone said that I was the third parent today that called them and she said "your child must not have told you about the membership." I told her "I was with my child and your young worker never disclosed any membership fees." She told me she would look into it and hung up. The gym is beautiful but be aware of all hidden charges.

The gym is nice and fairly new HOWEVER the staff's willingness to help for the Black card membership services leaves a lot to be desired. Another negative is that there are not any mirrors in order to watch your form in the ab area. My biggest complaint is that the biggest reason I tried this gym was how they advertise "no commitment, cancel at any time." Well, that is a lie. It was never shared with me that if you sign up for the black card membership you're automatically entered into a 12 month commitment.

If you cancel your membership you are required to pay a $60 fee! How does this make sense?! If you do the least expensive membership at $10 per month you can cancel at any time. If you pay them more money per month and go with their higher membership, you get penalized!!! Don't give them more of your money only to be punished. I was shocked that is how they treat a black card member!!! Stick with the $10 membership - the black card perks are not worth the additional $10 per month anyway. The water jet bed is uncomfortable! You aren't missing anything. Couldnt regret trying this gym more!!!

This is the most disgusting locker room. The shower they never clean the shower. Every time I go they're the same way dirty. I quit my membership because I couldn't deal with it. 225th Planet Fitness so disgusting they should fire all the people that work cleaning in the nighttime.

I signed up for Planet Fitness, A year's contract,12 months. I signed up in February. After the 12 months I was told that I did not have to cancel because it automatically canceled on its own and that if I wanted to keep going I would have to come in and sign more paperwork. So after the 12 months was up my contract is no longer valid. I called them and told them I would not be continuing. The contract states that if I cancel within the 12-month that I have to pay a fee. The fee is $60. But if I cancel after the 12-month there would be no fee for cancellation.

After the 12 months was up March 5th they sent me a letter stating that I owed them a cancellation fee of $30. My contract is null and void after 12 months, and I feel as though they are trying to extort extra money from me. I contacted Planet Fitness in Amesbury, Massachusetts, the woman begin to scream at me over the phone leading me to holler over her voice. "How can a 12 month contract be valid after the 12 months?" I asked her. She said because I didn't come in face-to-face with her to cancel. Now I'm confused because it doesn't say that in my contract that if I cancel after 12 months that I have to be face-to-face with one of the employees and order to not renew my contract. This does not make sense to me, the only thing that makes sense to me is that they're trying to get extra money from me. I will never sign up for Planet Fitness again.

The startup personnel in this new location (Des Moines WA) can't even admit when they wrongly inform you straight in your face (or maybe trying to mislead you). You discover this by more probing question in the span of not more than 10 minutes. And then rather to admitting a mistake they flat out lie and deny straight in your face about statements they made repeatedly in the last 5 minutes as if you are some dumbass 5 year old or a retarded individual who isn't able to register information verbally submitted to him (or her).

I walked planning to signup but after such abominable insulting treatment even before I signed up I decided to abandon the idea of signing up altogether. If this is Planet Fitness idea of enticing people to become customer then they have some pretty screwed up notions about customer service. If this is just an anomaly at this location they have to either select more mature and responsible staff to open a new location or improve the training of their staff in good customer service practices. I am glad this happened before I signed up instead of having a nasty experience after in already surrendered my money. I for one after this crazy and most annoying experience will stay far away from this outfit. I recommend anyone else to seriously consider any other fitness clubs before signing up with these "folks".

When I first joined this community (Wallingford CT Planet Fitness) a year ago it was a fantastic location. Presently it is just overloaded with memberships and people who just don't care. First off are the dozens of people who sit on equipment using their cell phones and not even working out while others wait for them to get off. Then you have the low lives who use every piece of equipment never once taking time to wipe off their sweat.

Lastly, are those who use the gym like a casino while staff members sit behind the desk and watch. These people are those who place their personal belongings on one or more pieces of equipment while they use another so they don't lose it. These are the biggest losers and most disrespectful in my book. Getting to a piece of equipment you really need to use is impossible unless you are there at the crack of dawn or during hours most of us work. It's become so frustrating I just chose to leave for a better place. You can't just open a gym to collect money from thousands of people without a cut off point and really need to screen who is allowed to remain a member. Staff should walk the gym, look for these cell phone geeks etc. and end their membership immediately if they can't change their routine.

Planet Fitness advertises everywhere, TV, Radio, Billboards and even on their website $9.99 monthly with no commitment. When you go to sign the contract it is slightly higher than $10 with a 12-month commitment, a signup fee, a $42 account maintenance fee and a $58 cancellation fee. The staff will not tell you about this. There is no written contract. It's all on the tiny 4" screen of their credit card signature machine. Plus, it's a lousy gym. No barbells. How can you have a gym with no barbells? And while they claim to be so inclusive and non-judgmental, they have this "lunk alarm" which is apparently there to judge, single out and insult anyone who is there to actually work hard and behave as one would in a gym.

I'm a member of Planet Fitness and today I've been yelled by two members of the staff team. I was there to do my daily workout and upon arriving the assistant manager Mathew was on the phone with another customer. I identify that I brought a guest three time and he ignored me. I went inside to start my work out and he never come to me log my guest in. Later during the workout I was told to leave one of the workout room because the room was need to accommodate other members who had a class. I feel hurt to think I'm paying just like everyone else but can't complete my workout. So I approached the front desk and ask if this is a policy. Mathew then went on the be rude and said I never sign your guy in and yes this is our policy. So I said I need it in writing. But me wanted to focus on the fact that my guest never sign in.

I told him I attempted for 5 minutes to allow him to do so but he ignore me and even turn his back on me. I told him I'm a paying customer and he said the other call was more important than me. I ask him if he know how to multi-task. He said the customer on the phone needed him more. I then went on to say "you could have told me please hold I will be with you shortly." I myself work in customer service and would never treat a customer in this manner. I ask to make a complaint and he never give me the right number. I also mention me will close my account without even my consent. This is the worst experience of my life. I'm not very happy with Planet Fitness service and would not recommend it to anyone.

Setting the stage: I was told member cancellation is free and can be done anytime preferably on or before the 10th of the month since monthly auto payment begins processing. I get that. So my membership runs from the 17th to the 17th of each month and I've paid for Mar- April and choose to cancel beginning with April- May since "cancellation at anytime is free".

My Scenario: On 3/20/17 I visited PF requesting cancellation asking first if I cancel today when is my last date to visit since I am paid through 4/17. The answer: "Today would be your last day." Adding it is best to cancel on the 10th. So I asked if I cancelled on the 10th would I then be able to visit until the 17th in which the answer was 'no'. Visitation stops the date of cancellation not at the end of your paid membership.

Here's my problem: PF touts cancellation is free but it is not. In my situation cancellation would cost me either 1 month's fee or 1 week's fee plus an extra trip to cancel. MOREOVER, the cancellation form states at the top, "Any membership can be cancelled within 30 days written notice, preferably by certified mail." The fact that I was standing in front of them, in front of the now signed cancellation form, did not qualify for the 30 days notice even if it were a true 30 days notice cancellation. So is the 30 days from date of processing payment (the 10th) or date of membership (17th)? I don't know. Regardless, my understanding from the 3 individuals spoken to is that your last day to visit is the day you sign the cancellation form. So why have a 30 day written notice policy?

Terribly unbelievable: This was so terribly unbelievable that I signed and got outta there before I lost my mind. Before leaving, I asked for a corporate number to call. There is none. I was directed to the PF website and yes, I checked it out. It directs you to the very facility you're having problems with. Cannot reach corporate levels as these are franchises. Again...unbelievable. What's free about cancellation? NOTHING when you're paying for your month and not getting to use it up!!

I wanted to cancel my membership and was told I could not get my money back. I was signed up for 18 months paid $198.00 upfront. I was told it would not be a problem when I paid. The employee was not rude he just didn't care. After he told me I couldn't get my money back he turned and walked off. The employees are not helpful and act like you are bothering them. No one ever asked if you need help. 3 people always standing behind the counter chatting. I have never seen an employee out talking, helping, interacting with anyone.

Planet Fitness states they have a non-obligation sign up in which one pays monthly 9.99. However if one decides not to use the gym any longer they make you put in writing and then swear they didn't receive such notice and continue to charge your bank each and every month racking up hundreds of dollars. Reggie the worker there is dishonest and appear to do his job but doesn't. No one want to help. However they will rob your bank blind with fraudulent and hidden charges. If I can help anyone please do not go to Planet Fitness. It's not what they say and you will be obligated unless you close your bank account and file bankruptcy or speak with an attorney but who has that type of time especially working class.

I've just started going to Planet Fitness at Conyers. I must say that the ladies in the front desk are awesome! They are such a great help. Always greets me in the morning and ask how I'm doing and they're very beautiful. The trainer is great. He keeps me motivated. When I was at LA FITNESS the environment was way off. I didn't like the looks I got.

I have been a member of Planet Fitness for about 10 years. Derry, NH is one of the dirtiest gyms that I have ever seen. Men's locker room, it always smells like a pair of dirty socks every time I go in. Sometimes I can smell it on me when I get back to my place. Looks like the lockers are rarely cleaned. Sinks are always dirty. I am not the only one that complains about this. The gym is open all night. You would think that it could be cleaned every night. I know a lot of people go though there, but it could be a lot cleaner. All the other gyms are rarely as dirty as this one.

When I and the lady I care for joined the Planet Fitness in Harrisonburg, VA I explicitly asked if the memberships would transfer and was told yes and that it only took two days for the transfer to take place. I told the lady that we would be moving in 30-90 days. We set up appointments with the personal trainer and he was not prepared to do a workout plan for my client because she is in a wheelchair. I persuaded Ghoussan not to write her off and he had us come by the next day but did not use any of the gym's equipment.

Also twice during the enrollment I asked for a print out of the agreement because I wanted to read what I was signing. My requests were met with excuses and a promise of a printed contract when I returned. I was told that if I cancelled by the 10th of March we would not be billed a second month. When I came in on February 23rd to transfer memberships I was taken to the kiosk and the employee made several attempts to transfer the memberships before reading the fine print and seeing that we had to be members for 90 days to transfer.

March 9th I called the Winchester branch to see if they would make an exception and transfer the memberships. I was given the number to the corporate office and followed the prompts to get a customer service agent. I was told that she could not assist because the locations are franchised. I then requested that she cancel the memberships and was told that had to be done with the specific location that we joined. I called the Harrisonburg, VA location and was told that we had to send a letter in to cancel. I asked for a name of a manager and was told. "There is no name."

Unscrupulous, dishonest, irresponsible, fraudulent, scam-artists. Deliberately misleading, and vague/ambiguous contract language and billing practices. Several Class-Action lawsuits for same. I rate them less than zero.

Must follow all rules to the tee or will be asked to leave. Public scolding for not listening. Not a true judgment-free zone! Had been a member for over 5 years but asked to leave because I didn't do the 30-minute circuit as per the rules.

Planet Fitness is misrepresenting their payment policies. I tried to cancel my trial Membership on 2-5-2015 was told it was taken care. On 2-25-2017 looked at my credit card statement and I was charged by Planet fitness. A payment I did not authorize them to debit. Called to try and talk to a so called Manager and was told that they were not going to do anything about it. That I would have to come to the fitness center and sign a cancellation contract. I get to the location and get told that I would be charged for cancelling. Now Keep in mind this is a so called trial membership! Told them that I would not pay anything.

They showed me a two page document that had never seen before and stated, "Well you signed this so we have the right to keep charging you." I responded that I had never saw that document much less signed it and that I had signed up online and that document was nowhere on the site. They told me that they have nothing to do with the online part of it. So I told them that they are running a scam, tricking people into signing up without letting them know they are entering into a contract. He told me that he would not respond to that. I asked several different customers at that location if they recognized or had signed the document that he handed me. THEY ALL SAID NO, THEY DIDN'T KNOW WHAT IT WAS AND HAD NOT SIGNED IT. This business is crooked and is stealing from people. DO NOT USE THEM!

Have to agree. When my family signed up they explained the conditions, (it helps that my wife always asks a thousand questions) to include the "annual fee" which was charged a month or so after we joined and will be charged every year hereafter. We spent well over an hour and a half going through the process, including a tour where we asked a lot of questions. My son never used the club so we cancelled his membership without any problems. Again we were told when we signed up about the charges for early termination and chose to pay the fee rather than all the monthly charges for him.

The PF I use if new and the equipment and facilities are great (not real excited about everything purple and yellow but not a problem. The staff is pleasant and attentive, although I go at 5:30 in the morning and there aren't many people there then. I have never hear the "Lunk alarm" and have never seen anyone harass anyone else (patron or staff), maybe this place is the exception or maybe it is because of the time. That being said, I have used gyms all my life so I don't need and frankly don't want any help. The gym has limitations, no free weights, dumbbells max at 85, would like to have a scale, etc, but I am fairly old and not really training for any sports anymore and not really a serious lifter either so PF meets my needs. Again if you are a serious athlete in training or a serious weightlifter PF is not the gym for you. If I were 15 or 20 years younger I wouldn't be here either.

I have seen these types of complaints about cancellations in reviews of a lot of different companies and would offer a few words of advice: Read the contract and do what they require. Sometimes it is a pain in the behind but can save you a lot of money and aggravation. Also, DON'T join a gym if you aren't going to use it. Many gyms will sell a weekly pass or a daily charge. Do this for a month or so to see if you really are going to stay with it. I realize that this does not apply to those who had injuries, moved, had life changing events, but if you are thinking of joining to try it out, don't. Try it out first and be sure you are going to use it before you commit to all the hassle. $10 a month (with an annual fee) is a great deal for a gym - if it is the right kind of gym and if you use it.

So I've had gym memberships before and Planet Fitness is great. You can't beat the price, every other gym I've attended was $35+ and came with a yearly contract. There are plenty of cardio machines and strength training machines, but not as many free weights as I would expect with such a large gym. I have a Black Card membership and the extra perks are definitely worth just $9.99 more a month. I don't know what all these bad reviews are going on about, everything is clearly stated in the paperwork when you sign up so you just have to read. It definitely seems like this is most of the negative comments are coming from gym newbies. The no grunting or dropping weights policy is kind of silly though. If you're trying to really work out and put on mass it's hard not to do those sometimes. The alarm is WAY more distracting and annoying than anything else lol.

Don't trust them! A month after signing up for what appeared like a good deal $10 per month. You can't go wrong, right? Well you can. They charge you another $40 dollars in February. This wasn't explained during the sign up and is non-refundable. So even quitting immediately does not get your money back.

Ok - so I've read through several of the complaints on this forum, and I can say that the MAJORITY are from people simply not reading what they are signing up for. The website very clearly states that guests cannot use the black card spa amenities. It also clearly states that you will be billed for the annual fee and when. They don't charge you after a year... They charge you about a month after you sign up. Your $10/month membership fee comes out of your account, regardless if you go to the gym that month or not. It's a recurring payment.

Dealing with cranky employees and problems with billing terminations are legitimate complaints, but some of the reviewers have obviously never been to a gym prior to PF. You run into the same typical gym issues everywhere. Yea, some people don't follow "gym etiquette" and don't wipe down the machines, but that is not specific to PF.

I go to the PF in Glen Burnie, MD. I like that gym because it's not as packed as some gyms in the area. I've been a member at 2 other major gyms (and paid about $40/month!), but this membership works PERFECTLY for me. I don't need the "extras" that come with the bigger gyms. I just need to go to the gym, do cardio, do weights, and go home. That's it. And that's what I get at PF, so it works for me. And I'm saving $30/month doing it at PF. I have not run into any problems with the staff. Everyone seems pleasant enough.

I like the atmosphere at PF. It's nice to see people there just with the goal of being healthy. I will say that the Lunk Alarm is pretty darn annoying. It's LOUD and very distracting. I personally don't care if someone is grunting or accidentally drops a weight. Come on. If you're THAT offended by gym behavior, you should probably toughen up. PF is so against bullying, that their anti-bullying comes off as bullying against people who might already be in good shape. I will also mention that the stupid Lunk Alarm only goes off maybe once during my workout, so it's not a huge deal, and is certainly not enough to drive me away. It's just an annoyance. Overall I am happy with this gym. It's what I need.

I took my son, who goes to college out of the area to the Horseheads, NY facility near our home to start a membership for him. So that he can work out when he comes home on breaks. I told the staff member that I will be paying for the membership and signed authorization to have my bank account debited for my son's membership. Instead of applying my son's membership to my bank account, the staff applied my son's membership to my son's bank account. Which they had on file from a previous closed membership. This caused a debit with overdraft fees.

I contacted the club. And the manager Travis suggested that my signature authorized them to debit my adult son's account -- because I am his mother. Travis told me he would refund the fees if I would bring in proof of said fees. Needless to say, he conveniently disappeared when I returned with the proof. He apparently left the village idiot (I don't hear nothing, I don't see nothing, I don't know nothing) in charge of the shop. I contacted the regional manager Luke ** via email. He was less than helpful. I contacted attorney general office. Billing complaints are not uncommon for this specific business.

We've been faithful members of Planet Fitness for four years. Recently we were relocated for our job. I went into store to cancel on Feb 10th. They charged my card $39.99 for yearly maintenance fee on Feb 1st. I asked them to reimburse. They would not even though I was moving and wouldn't be able to use gym. I can't stand it when companies stick it to use like that!

We joined Planet Fitness Hixson, TN in September of 2016. I have enjoyed my experience every time I go. The folks at the front desk always greet me with a smile when I check in; they always tell me to have a good night when I leave. There are always plenty of weight and cardio machines, even at peak times. I recently noticed that the weight machines had been re-upholstered. The one time there was an issue with another patron using the machines in the circuit areas for too long (and so incorrectly it looked like he was hurting himself), and not wiping them down, I mentioned him to the front desk on my way out and they were very nice in assuring me they'd take care of it. I haven't seen him there again (but maybe that's because our workout times don't coincide). I find the bathrooms always clean, and the one time I used the showers, it was pleasant.

Just two days ago I took a fitness class there. It was a half-hour class for FREE. The class had 5 spots available, but since I was the only one signed up, it was like having a personal trainer. The class consisted of the trainer leading me through rounds of exercises focused on a power tower. It was very vigorous - so much, in fact, that I might have pushed myself too hard and wasn't able to complete the 30 minutes. But I enjoyed what I was able to do so much that I am going back again tonight. My membership is the $10/mo. option. I highly recommend it.

I want to share my horrible experience with Planet Fitness. I have been calling my location in Wilmington, DE for about a week to speak with a manager in regards to canceling my account. Since I have signed up, my father has been deathly sick and he is on hospice and I have had to move suddenly to Smyrna, DE to take care of him.

I was not able to contact a manager, and no one has returned any of my calls. I was forced to leave my father's side and drive 45 mins to Wilmington to cancel a gym membership to avoid any further charges to my account which I did yesterday. I was told by the gentleman who processed my cancellation that I would not have any further charges to my account because I canceled before the first of February.

Today, however, I was charged $40.00 and my account was overdrafted an additional $35.00. I called to speak with a manager yet again, and this time I was informed there is not a manager currently because they were fired. I asked if there is someone who is in charge, and Shakina informed me there is not someone I can speak to who is in charge. I explained my situation hoping to have assistance from her, since the branch made the mistake whether it was in the information they provided me with or not taking my bank card off of auto charge. Either way it was a mistake on their end. She said she could not assist me with it. I asked who I would need to speak with and she stated corporate and that I needed to look up the phone number because she couldn't get it for me.

After looking through the Planet Fitness website and google searching for 15 minutes, I was able to find the corporate number that I needed to call. I prompted #2 for a billing issue and was connected to Adam (who states he could not give me his last name). He informed me that there is nothing they could do for a complaint about a billing issue and told me to call the branch back. I informed him there is no manager, and he said that there is nothing he could help me with. I then asked to speak with his manager or a regional manager that I could get the assistance I needed, and he would not put me through to a manager!!!

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON WITH YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE?! This is terrible and completely unacceptable!!! I am shocked, and I am ashamed to have referred anybody to you guys! Because of my recommendation since I started there, my boyfriend switched from Retro Fitness and signed up, as well as a coworker. My cousin was also thinking about switching gyms, but I think I will have to let everyone know about this terrible experience. I myself have continued to pay for this membership for months without much use at all, and even planned to come back after my personal issues are over with, but I have changed my mind. It's funny to me that if I wanted to make a payment, anyone would jump on hitting that button, but now that a mistake was made on your end, no one is available to help me. It has been two days and I have not heard back from ANYONE.

Compare Gyms and Fitness Centers