3.8/5 (754 ratings)

About Planet Fitness

Planet Fitness Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Planet Fitness?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Planet Fitness?

Original review: May 5, 2021

The staff Reggie was very rude. Needs to work on people skills. Some of the rules makes no sense. You can’t reach a live person to talk to at customer support so you're forced to communicate with their rude ** staff. Definitely was a disappointment for my first time. I canceled my membership before it even started. I’ll take my business elsewhere. I should have known better than to go to Mondawmin location anyway. Reggie should quit if he don’t like his job. People like hospitality. That’s what keeps you coming not rudeness. Definitely never going back.

Original review: April 28, 2021

Villa park club: Called club to cancel. They said bring in letter in person to cancel. Did these steps -gave them the cancelling letter (my mistake not copying paper and getting clerk's name.). This all happened pre-covid when clubs closed but post covid they started charging my account again. I called to cancel and they said I have a remaining balance so can’t cancel. (I can’t have a balance since cancelled more than year ago and still charged me?!) Manager completely not helpful and just couldn’t understand was their fault for not stopping my account. So infuriating. And still can’t cancel!

Get buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 28, 2021

I've been a member for approximately 1 month. I never had any issues with this gym or any public place regarding a mask. I stand FOR mask wearing for OBVIOUS reasons. If you DON'T wear a mask, you don't belong in public. Period. That Being said... Tonight I was at the gym. My 4th time on my black card membership. Both me and my husband are members, NOT to be confused with the "free guest" program that PF has. It was a normal evening, about an hour on the treadmill and 45 minutes on the weights. It's been a great experience thus far.

During my treadmill experience I was speaking to my husband on the treadmill to the left of me, I immediately looked to my right and the associate came up to me, basically out of breath, and said he needed me to put my mask on. It was on. I had shown him that, and he said it wasn't up far enough. It was on COMPLETELY. He said "ok" and walked away. I completed my treadmill workout and moved on to the weights. About an hour and a half later I went into the ladies locker room and d took a shower. About 30 minutes in to my shower I was greeted by a police officer... I thought someone had fallen or something in the locker room. But she informed me she came for ME.

I am completely appalled that I was inconvenienced in the middle of my shower.... For something that was misconstrued. as a new member of this club I have had no complaints but this is not how you treat your members. Let it be known that I am 150% for mask wearing in public. And I would never not wear a mask. Right now everyone needs to wear mask to control the spread of this horrible disease....

I feel betrayed because the police officer had informed me that I was told to leave!! She said she was there to give me a trespassing warrant, and that I was never allowed to be on the premises ever again! She said she was there because of the incident that happened earlier.... Obviously, I was very confused... The officer even spoke to my husband, who verified there was No such incident. Whatsoever.

I've never been warned by this associate, or anyone else. I take mask wearing very seriously. I informed the officer that the associate never said anything of that nature. I told the officer to look at the cameras because they would show our conversation was polite and calm. The cameras would show that the associate left, calmly after he spoke to me.

Why on earth would I stay at the gym for an hour and a half and then take a shower if there was an "incident" where I was supposedly told to leave? I'll tell you why It's because this associate was acting very cowardly and instead of telling the police officers the truth he took the easy way out and called the police on two upstanding members of a gym at 12:00 at night... I mean this whole story sounds absurd... Obviously this associate isn't following the rules and feel like he can treat the members in this inappropriate manner. It would have just taken a simple look at that cameras and they would have seen that there was no incident whatsoever, and I did have my mask on. I feel like I'm in the Twilight zone! ???

I've never been treated by any establishment in this way. I was in the middle of a shower?!? Who does that?!?! When I was escorted to the front, I confronted the associate and asked him why he lied to the officer. He almost went mute, and then I repeated my question, I asked him why he told them that he told me to leave? His response was that he spoke to me, but did not tell me to leave. Even though the officer heard this there was nothing they could do. I was able to record the entire conversation. I would have expected this kind of treatment from another establishment but not Planet Fitness. It's appalling, and rude.

Original review: March 21, 2021

Back around 23 Feb. 2021 I had an issue with a manager at the Pittston Commons gym in Pittston P.A and contacted Planet Fitness team or HQ and they said that they were going to escalate the complaint and I have yet heard back from them. Today is March 21 2021. The problem was a racist comment made by the manager there but apparently Planet Fitness agree with the manager. So if you are other than ** you are not really welcome in planet fitness gym as well if you are a retired disable veteran.

Original review: March 2, 2021

$10 a month is great if you’re fine with waiting to use a machine or weight every time you go to work out. There are too many customers and too few machines and weights there even later at night. I don’t like to wait or have to ask someone to jump in between their workout to do a set, but I guess that’s all you can expect for such a cheap price.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

This is a prime example of why I don’t like to give companies my debit card number. I gave them an account card I seldom use. Recently I withdrew some money from that account and found that they charged me even though I haven’t been in over a year and thought they had honored my request to cancel. Never again!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2021

I was confronted by ** the assistant manager at the Planet Fitness in Farmers branch TX club # ** about having to put on the face mask in a very rude and degrading way. I had just started my cardio and my mask kept slipping off and she approached me and said "You need to put your face mask on". I understand it is their policy but it's just the way she said it that made me feel degraded. Well news flash **! I am a paying customer! After this incident I decided I wanted to cancel my membership, so I did. The front desk guy that goes by ** was very understanding and even tried to offer some alternatives for face masks but ** had managed to ruffle my feathers enough to make me decide that planet fitness did not deserve a such a great paying customer such as yours truly. I mean you never know who you are talking to, I am not your average Joe.

Anywho, after ** handed me a copy of my canceled membership I went to double check on ** name and she asked me "Why, what is your problem"? And I told her because I wanted to know who I was about to file a complaint on. She then said "If you have a problem you can cancel your membership and there is the door." I responded with "I'm way ahead of you, I just did" and I told her that she needed to work on her customer service skills. She then responded saying "in what way"? And I told her to be more professional and courteous. And she said "if you don't like it there's the door" which then made my emotions run wild and I stormed out of planet fitness.

It's sad because I really enjoyed this place, and if it wasn't for her rudeness and unprofessionalism I would have stayed. I am very big on customer service! Treat others the way you would like to be treated. If I was an undercover boss I would have fired her on the spot. My suggestion for planet fitness is to terminate ** from this assistant management position, because believe it or not, it is employees like this that make places like this lose money and valuable customers. Customer service does matter!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2021

PF Fraudulently saved a credit card information when purchasing a beverage years ago, and saved in their database without my consent nor knowledge. As you know, PF only accepts routing number/account number for membership fees on Autopay. Cancelled membership July 30, 2020. Returned August 16 to verify this was done. Requested deletion of all personal and financial information from PF database. Assured this was done by Alan. Initially froze, but immediately returned to desk to do a FULL cancel/delete all data. Membership was fraudulently renewed without my knowledge and used a credit card they saved in their database without my consent nor knowledge.

After cancelling July 30, 2020 PF renewed my membership using the original agreement and altering the information saying it was a requested renewal. This is fraud. This was in November 11, 2020, and charged as if a NEW member the $39.99 fee plus monthly fee, total of $52.22. Then, again charged my CREDIT CARD, for the next 3 months before I noticed the fraudulent use of my credit card I had no idea PF had stolen the information and saved it permanently in their database. They do NOT accept CREDIT CARDs as payment for fees, and PF retrieved an old beverage purchase to do this.

Contacted CC company and uploaded all documentation and all fees charged were reversed to my account; and, was told that they have been having difficulty nationwide with such PF activity. My advice is, DO NOT allow them to have your routing number nor use a credit card to purchase anything at PF, as they will save all this information in their database; and, anyone working there can fraudulently use the information as they please.

Stephen

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

The staff is unprofessional and the manager, Mr. John ** is rude and nasty. I cancelled my membership in May 2020, but he continued to take money from my account without my knowledge. When I found out about it, I called Mr. ** several times and left at least a dozen messages, but he never returned my calls. Corporate is absolutely no help when I called to complain and kept sending me back to the same manager who would not answer the phone calls. They are thieves and crooks. This is the worst place ever!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2021

DALTON **, in my opinion is the worst manager you could have. He keep me on hold for 20mins or more and was very rude when he did answer the phone. I will never recommend Planet Fitness to anyone with management this poor.

Planet Fitness author review by Joey Thurman

Founded in 1994, Planet Fitness is an American gym that expanded into a franchise operation in 2003. Franchisees operate over 1,200 locations across the United States and are currently expanding into Canada and the Dominican Republic. Planet Fitness offers a full array of exercise machines, and many locations offer a selection of fitness classes.

• PF 30-minute Express Circuit: Planet Fitness makes it easy for patrons to complete a full cardio and strength training circuit in half an hour, using ten strength machines and ten cardio machines. A red-light, green-light system alerts those on the circuit when to switch machines.

• $10 membership: Planet Fitness offers a no-commitment $10/month membership option. It includes a T-shirt, unlimited access to one Planet Fitness club and unlimited access to training.

• Black Card membership: Planet Fitness’ Black Card membership is ideal for those who want more than just a basic gym membership. In addition to the benefits of a $10 membership, Black Card members enjoy use of all Planet Fitness franchise locations, unlimited tanning, half price drinks and many more benefits for about $20 a month.

• Free pe@pf service: Planet Fitness offers a program called pe@pf, which offers the benefits of a grown-up physical education course. Certified trainers will educate you on fitness equipment and routines and help you set goals appropriate for your current fitness level.

• Member perks: Every member can participate in Pizza Mondays and Bagel Tuesdays.

by Joey Thurman Fitness and Nutrition Expert

Joey Thurman is a nationally recognized and spin certified health, fitness, nutrition expert and television host He is the author of "365 Health and Fitness Hacks That Could Save Your Life." His work has been featured in publications such as Men’s Health, U.S. News and World Report, NPR, People Magazine, Shape, NY Post, Fitness Magazine, ‪Women's Health and many more.

Planet Fitness Company Information