2.06/5

892 Planet Fitness Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I have been a member for 4+ years and always had an ok experience. I moved from Massachusetts to Michigan. I was unable to transfer online, for a reason no one could explain. But my old club transferred me to Rochester Hills. They say I do not exist, but can verify my Massachusetts club membership is not active. I am paying, but getting nowhere trying to straighten this out. Planet Fitness corporate has NO phone number only a fill-in form. All they do is send me directions on how to transfer online. Clearly, they do not even read the forms. I am now getting my bank involved. For a big national company to have no assistance other than on a local club basis is awful.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

DO NOT EVER JOIN THIS CLUB! I, being stupid and hoping something has changed re-joined and had the same ** happen again! They cannot get the money thing right! I join and they send text messages saying that my bank does not allow the account, but when I call the center they claim it was because of insufficient funds...I HAVE NEVER HAD INSUFFICIENT FUNDS! Then he said I told the bank not to let this transaction happen...why would I join a club and then tell the bank not to allow the charges!!!

They have more excuses than reasons to do things correctly, they have me so angry that I told them to just cancel the whole thing AGAIN for the same ** and he tells me I have to come in or (spend more money) for a certified letter to cancel and I said I am not doing either one and he then tells me I am still responsible for the 54.00 for a year and I said that makes no sense...if they can get that money then why can't they get the monthly money. I just do not understand how they stay in business or how do they get paid...

Get expert buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I submitted my paperwork to terminate membership a month before my most recent military move. Recently noticed they had not stopped billing me (5 months @$19.99/ month). The website was no help, they make it painfully hard to reach anyone via email or phone. It took about 3 minutes to sign up and take my payment online and has now taken over 5 months to terminate and still no apology. The first person to reached said they couldn’t help me, only confirmed I was still listed as active and asked what proof I could offer. I’ve moved so many times and cancelled many gym memberships and have NEVER had to deal with this. She said they would have someone contact me shortly... still waiting to hear from anyone... let alone a refund or apology.

Updated on 10/17/2018: I wrote here after realizing Planet Fitness had been wrongfully billing me for 5 months after my most recent military move. I cannot get anyone to stop billing me, apologize, or even offer any help whatsoever. I was just billed for a 6th month since my move over a week since my last complaint. Have not used membership (now across the country) in over 7 months. They keep saying it is the local franchise’s problem, and they will reach out to have them call me. Multiple efforts have now been made. They refuse to give me contact info, or do anything. What good is a corporate office if they have no power. They are unapologetic and unhelpful. I will have my bank deny further charges, I didn’t expect it to get that far with such a well known company. It is insane!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

You get what you pay for. Lousy equipment, horrible showers/locker rooms, crowded overall. The cancellation fee is taxed, so they are not honest when they say it is $58.00 to cancel. Don't waste your time or money here.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I only go for the tanning and sometimes the hydromassage. The beds have burnt out bulbs and what does burn doesn't tan. The booth bulbs are so old my tan fades more with each visit. Canceling my membership this month.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Planet Fitness?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I have canceled my membership over the phone about four months ago and today when I checked my account I was charged every month plus the yearly fee. I called the gym and spoke with their manager and associate and I was informed that you can’t cancel the policy over the phone. So how come that employee took down my info and card number (black card member) and told me that, "Your membership is cancelled." That means they are not training their employees correctly. PS where or how can I contact their complaint department?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Reuben Glass owns this franchise on Poplar Avenue in Memphis, TN. I canceled the membership but I was still charged an annual fee and monthly membership fee after I canceled. I spoke with the staff several times and it took weeks for the manager (Mr. **) to return my call because he was never in the location. He told me that I could not get a refund because it was past the 7 days and they had no record of my cancellation. I have a recording of his staff telling me otherwise. This location steals your money and all they can state is policy... Maybe it will take a lawsuit to change their policy. They are thieves with terrible customer service. DO NOT join this club... They will take your money even after you cancel and lie to you that you will get a refund then make themselves unavailable so they can hide behind some 7 day policy that you were never informed about.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Management was unfriendly, lazy and not empathetic. I haven’t gone to this company in over a year. I was charged my monthly fee, which is fine. I could not attend the gym because my younger son has medical condition. When I went in, after a year to finally cancel my account and asked for a refund for my yearly membership, he irritatingly told me no. In so many words he could’ve done it yesterday but not today. That is not great customer service at all! Any other major company such as this would have done the right customer service thing to do!! Lost a customer forever. I will right this complaint EVERYWHERE until I get my refund.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I have been a member at Planet Fitness in Port Richey for a year now. The gym overall is great. My company just recently added onsite gyms for the employees so I needed to cancel my membership at PF. I called for 3 weeks straight and was told every time that the systems were down. Not once was I told that I would need to come in to cancel. I called again today because my account was charged the yearly fee for my spouse and me. I explained that I have been trying to cancel my membership for the last 3 weeks. I also stated that the yearly fees needed to be refunded since I have been trying to cancel. I was told that there no notes in my account showing that I had called.

Of course there wouldn't be notes if the systems were down all the time. He explained that their systems had indeed not been down in that time frame. He also said that since there were no notes on my account, the yearly fee would not be refunded since there was no error on their part. No error??? Your employee had been lying to me about the systems being down and yet there is no error on your part. I reached out to PF corporate who stated that since all of the PF's were independently owned, there is nothing they can do. Really? Then why have a corporate customer service office if you aren't giving service? Anyway, watch your money, they will rip you off.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

I signed up and I was very impressed and had a great workout. No waiting on equipment, you can earn points so customer value is apparent and the people are helpful. Free classes you can't beat it. Equipment is all working, finally. Actually a club with all the amenities without the hidden fees.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

It is a good feeling to know that you have so many choices to select for exercise equipment. Watching others give me the push to keep on trying. The atmosphere is good and no one hassle you. The staff is helpful and friendly. I have enjoyed the guidance of my trainer.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I received an email asking me to take a quick survey about Planet Fitness in exchange for a $5 gift certificate to Amazon. Took the survey, never got the card. This is just like them. Gee, it only took 5 times reporting that the sound on the TV was out on the aerobic machines I like to use. They fixed it after weeks and weeks. Now it's out again. They desperately need someone who can keep the entertainment system up and working.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I opened up a black card membership on 07/26/18. At the time I paid 15.91 at a prorated rate for a 21.99 black card membership. I was charge on my debit card and asked to provide an account for annual fees and reoccurring payments. All of which I provided. On 09/13/18 I logged into my account and manually paid my bill of 21.99. I was emailed a receipt. All was well until 09/15 when I checked my checking account balance and discovered that I was charged 54.00 by Planet Fitness. No receipt was ever emailed to me!! I immediately called my bank to dispute the charge! My claim was created.

While I waited to be credited back, Planet Fitness proceeded to take another 21.99 out of my account on 09/17/18. I called my bank again and disputed that charge as well because at this point I had already asked my bank to block them from accessing my account. Another claim was created and the same day, I was credited back the 54.00. As I waited for my bank to credit back the 21.99, on 09/20/18, Planet Fitness took 54.00 out of the account I used to first sign up for my membership. According to my bank they used my debit card number to process the payment! The only way to block them from doing so AGAIN was to change my card number!

This left me with no access to my own account! Due to my work schedule of 9am-7pm, I was unable to pick up a card from the bank branch! I had to opt to have my card expedited, yet here it is 09/21/28 and I’ve been 2 days without my bank card!! The bank rep stated the 21.99 would be credit back to my account on 09/24/18!!!

What’s worse? The fact that the second 54.00 is still pending in my checking account activity! I’ll have to wait until 09/24/18 to dispute a charge from 09/20/18! So I’m now short 75.99 for what was supposed to be a 21.99 membership! I am beyond disgusted at this point!! Come to find out that this charge is from an annual fee of 39.00 plus a 15.00 late fee for a 21.99 membership I signed up to on 07/26/18. Today is 09/20/18. I haven’t even been a membership for 2 months yet and I’m already being charged an annual fee? I’ll be buying out my contract! This has been nothing but a mistake! I’m full of nothing but regret and anger and I wish someone would shut all Planet Fitness gyms down! They shouldn’t be allowed to do this to people! They’re a sick company!!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Today I went to PF to work out while waiting for my son's lesson before picking him up. Two women staff came to me and told me to leave immediately. The reason was that I was wearing Jean's that could damage their equipment. I told them that I did not know the rules and I would not put on jeans again next time. They still insisted me to leave immediately. It did not make sense to me that my Jeans would damage their equipment for only sitting on each equipment for a few minutes. Then I told them that I would not leave until I finished my work out. I also let them know that they could phone the police to remove me. Ten minutes later, I finished the workout and talked to the same lady who ordered me to leave. I said that if I were a **, she wouldn't order me to leave immediately. That was completely racism. She did not respond. Then I left.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I recently joined the Simpsonville location. At first, was ok. I came in one evening to just tan. There was another woman standing at the counter, so being courteous, I waited until they were done. While standing there, two males walked in. The employee immediately went to them to assist them instead of helping me first.

I asked the employee, why did he choose to help the others before helping me. He said "Because you were just standing there not saying anything". I explained that I, not being rude was waiting until I could get some attention. I told him how that made me feel and that I felt that he owed me an apology. He refused and then refused to help me further. I spoke to three levels of management all taking up for the employee. I was then told if I didn't like it, I could just cancel. Although I had just been drafted for my month as well as the annual fee. I was not given any refund. I hadn't even been to the gym in a month prior to that day. They are not interested in making you feel good or a priority. So disappointed in their staff and management. I strongly discourage this location if you want to be treated fairly.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Raleigh North Carolina gyms were closed on Wednesday Sept 13, 2018 when hurricane Florence was two days away out in the ocean moving at 12 mph. People were sunning on Wilmington and Carolina beach Thursday and Friday. It is now Saturday and the gyms are still closed. Slightly breezy with light rain and the hurricane turned south last night. There was never any danger this far inland. Hasty, inconsiderate and cowardly decision. Miss working out for a week? Employees with no pay for a week? Thanks. The people at my gym are great, like family. Bet the people who made the decision to close still got paid.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I have been a member for just under 2 years. To be fair, the gym experience itself wasn't bad at all. First time gym for me so the simplicity of it was great. Staff was also friendly. Overall, I truly thought it was a great place and enjoyed it. However, I haven't been able to go for the past 4 months so I decided to cancel my membership thinking I may jump back into it in January. I was not interested in freezing the account because I'm not sure when I will return. Go to cancel, am told I need to call to cancel. Number on the pop up screen is incorrect.

Call the gym directly and am told I have to either come in or send a certified letter! Seriously? I work in property management and it's easier for our residents to get out of their lease (just send us a notice to vacate) than it is to get out of a measly little Planet Fitness membership. How very inconvenient guys! It is this reason alone that I know...should I decide to ever return to hitting a gym, I will be joining the other gym that's being constructed right across the street...for just a few bucks more than PF. Very disappointing!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

Location, Jacksonville FL, Oak Hill branch off 103rd street. So to be straight to the point, one of the trainers there, John, has been Excellent, Professional, very Instructive and always takes time to individually tailor a training for every one of his clients. With all that said, my wife who has a black card membership, is one of his clients. I've seen him training with her along with others and I'm extremely impressed. He's been able to train her with more results than the last three trainers combined over the past two years. With all that said, she was informed that all training will now be limited to just one hour!! My wife is devastated because thanks to his training, she's becoming a stronger person both physically and psychologically. This hour only limitation has made her more discouraged than ever. Why has the corporate office done this? It can't be over a liability issue because she had to sign a waiver of liability to join.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I signed up for a one year membership. I moved and it was no longer convenient to go. I called to cancel- but was told I needed to show up in person... and only when the manager was there. I was told he does not work weekends. Meanwhile I am being charged 10 per month. Come the anniversary of my renewal - I was not notified of a 39 per month fee that hit my checking account.

2 days later I went in- the rude staff there stated, "NO WAY you are getting your money back" even though they could see that I had been paying for 6 mos of membership when I had not set foot in their gym. The manager finally shows up and flat out refused to give me a dime back. NEVER AGAIN- Will I use this place. And I will be disputing the con artists charge to my account. BAD KARMA- is not good business - be well aware if you sign up here. They just want your money and have not care how they get it.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

Unlawful business practices at Milwaukee location, you have to cancel in person and pay $50-$60 to cancel. I paid this in full in December 2017 and two months ago began receiving premium membership debits to my account from Planet Fitness without my consent.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

I just relocated back to CT from NYC. My girlfriend is a member and told me they have a deal to pay upfront for the year. I go in Aug 31, 2018. I was told it expired yesterday Aug 30, 2018. (1) day within the month. I ask, "Can you ask the manager will they honor it." They say sure (made a call supposedly). I was told no, "Okay well how much will it be to pay the "new" membership price up-front cash?" Note: I was ready to join. "I am sorry we will not do that?" I guess they do not want "new" customers who just do not want to give out checking and or credit card information. In God we trust many still pay cash, not crypto.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

I signed with Planet Fitness in 2016. I went to the fitness club only 2, maybe 3 times because I wanted to start a health regime that would help me. Unfortunately for me, I have arthritis in my body and I kept putting off my exercise plan. I also had the displeasure of not closing my account with Planet Fitness right away. The club owners was still taking amounts from bank even though I couldn't go to gym--granted-that was my fault-I admit that! But this year, I went to Planet Fitness location three times that I signed with to close account and it was always an excuse as to why this couldn't be done!

Either the manager wasn't there, or the system was down! I went yesterday again to close account, and people at front desk said to me that because I owe a back payments, my account can't be closed! NOW it seems I owe BACK payments when I have bank statements to PROVE they took money from my bank account AND overcharged in some instances! This "fitness" place needs to stop ripping people off! They need to change their policies or be shut down.

Whether a person makes decision to go to the gym or not is excluded-if gym continues being paid & individuals want to close accounts with them, that should not be an issue! Planet Fitness should NOT be doing tactics to try and get more money from clients. I will be seeing a lawyer about this as well, because I checked with other clients and find out Planet Fitness have done the same terrible tactics against them as well. I would greatly appreciate an extensive look into this matter.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

I wanted to find out how much it cost to be a member for one year. I went to the Planet Fitness website and found that their explanations of costs were unclear, and I suspected that this was because they wanted to appear cheaper than they actually are, so that you will sign up and only find out later that it was more expensive than you had thought.

So I called the local Planet Fitness and spoke to someone there. I had to ask the person about four times before I could finally get a clear answer about the total price for one year. His initial answers kept not resolving the ambiguity about what fees were included in what. When I finally got him to tell me the total fee for the year, I saw that, yes, I had been correct, that the fee was higher than I had thought based on the website description.

Even then, I thought perhaps the unclarity on their part might be incompetence rather than an intention to mislead. But then I read the dozens of comments here about the shady shenanigans PF plays on customers about fees, money, overcharging, etc. So my attitude at this point is that PF is a dishonest shady organization and should be shunned. It's stupid, too, because you can succeed in business better if you are honest.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I signed up for Planet Fitness about 2 or 3 years ago, and I only ever went a couple times, and decided that it was about time that I cancel my membership. After going into the Gym in person, they told me that I would need a letter since that is their process. I typed a letter requesting to cancel and they didn't even acknowledge it or say they received it.

I kept getting withdrawals from my bank account, and in June I got charged around $35 for their annual whatever. So I called Planet Fitness explained the situation, and told me they couldn't refund it so go to the bank, I go to the bank to do a chargeback, and stop payment so that it's off the account and I closed the account same day.

A couple days later I got a call from Planet Fitness' billing/customer service team asking if there was an issue with the account, they said thanks for letting them know and that it wasn't an issue and they understood the confusion and said they would make a notation about no further billing. Fast forwarding again to August 13th, about two months after this happened, they sent me an email saying they were going to pursue debt collections. I've done my part and have spoken to multiple people from the gym and they have repeatedly refused to cancel my membership, and they just recently made it inactive just now. But are still saying I owe them even they repeatedly refused to close an account.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I have had a very long 2 yrs that included renewal payments that was not authorized and since I hurt my back six months after I joined and couldn't workout at the gym... Planet Fitness have been taking $21.00 out my account every month. They have ripped me off for hundreds of dollars.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I joined the gym online, then proceeded to the gym for the walkthrough, (was very excited)! When I arrived at the Westminster MD gym, the girl and guy at desk only wanted to scan my membership card which I didn’t have yet. The girl sighed really hard when I told her I just joined online. She rudely told me that my daughter couldn’t be on the premises.

She is 12. It was not necessary for her to be mean. Then they just stood there looking at me asking me to leave! Not even a friendly greeting or, "I’m so sorry but your child has to leave," and they refused to give me a tour. I walked out the door but thought, if they are not this nice do I really want to come here? I turned around and told them I decided I didn’t want to be a member, the girl nastily stated I would have to pay $59. I said for what, I just joined less than a hour and half ago online. Finally a guy jumped in and canceled my membership for free. They were not welcoming nor nice at all! Would not recommend this place to anyone!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

Signed up for a membership, I have had a membership with PF in the past and was very straightforward. In June I signed a new Black Card contract for $21.99 per month. I was billed on the 17th of the month and then received a bill for $39. I called PF and was told this was an annual fee which is charged to lock the monthly rate for life and to pay the payment processing company. I was also informed this was part of my contract and this fee is billed two months after the contract is signed. Shame on me for not reading this in the contract, but furthermore, shame on PF for this type of billing behavior. Be forewarned before signing this contract. It is unfortunate PF management believes this is good for business.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

When I joined Planet Fitness last year I was attracted by the low cost and "judgement free" theme. My experience has been pretty negative. I've gone primarily to the ones in Stratham, NH and Amesbury, Mass. Stratham is extremely overcrowded, particularly in the winter. Amesbury is less crowded but very dated and staffed with young kids who are unprofessional and rude. I find that some people who go to this gym take fitness seriously, but many do not. You'll see people lighting up cigarettes in the parking lot, coming in off the street to use the bathroom, and the staff is horribly unprofessional.

If you live on the NH Seacoast and don't mind crowds, the one in Stratham is the nicest. The one in Amesbury is pretty creepy and dirty. I'd avoid it if you want a serious workout with a fitness-oriented crowd. I switched back to my old gym Vanguard Key Club, which is only slightly more money and worth every extra penny for the nicer atmosphere and crowd of people.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I had really unpleasant experience today at PF South Burlington VT location. Apparently one of the staff members, Ericka, told manager how I went behind front desk and started hydromassage bed by myself while she was away doing errands (few weeks ago). So manager pulled me on a side today soon as I got to the gym and with very mean attitude told me 'If you do that again, I will cancel your membership.' I was blindsided, didn't even had a chance to think of what happened. I remember saying 'I would never go behind front desk and do such thing.' I was very shocked with manager's attitude.

Last thing I need to hear after long working day is someone blame me for something I didn't do. I challenge manager/district manager/owner of this franchise to check camera footage and find out who is telling truth, me or Ericka, staff member. Why would Ericka do such thing? I assume because I asked her nicely to refill paper towel dispenser twice in last couple weeks and maybe she didn't feel like doing it. If so, I apologize for bringing that up, I will never ever mention something like that again.

I thought message: 'At Planet Fitness, we're here to provide a unique environment in which anyone – and we mean anyone – can be comfortable...' is true. What I experienced today from manager (and obviously Ericka) is far from that! I am member of this gym for a long time and no one ever threaten me before or made me feel unwanted. What happened with 'Thumb up' policy PF has?!? This goes beyond words!

Message to the owner of this franchise - if you find me on cameras behind front desk, I am offering to pay fine in the amount equal to annual Black Card membership (which I have), as an apology for what I did! If you find out I've been accused for something I didn't do, I am asking for manager to resign from her position, become regular staff and have assistant manager take over her managing duties. Cause manager should NEVER accuse member without having proof 100% - even then, I am still MEMBER, there HAS to be way to solve things peacefully. At the end, without us, members, this gym wouldn't exist! If manager simply asked me if I did it or not, instead of threatening me with canceling membership, I might had chance explain her that hydromassage bed was 'paused' when I got there, all I did is hit 'play' button.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I had 3 memberships with Planet Fitness and when we signed up for the gym online, we checked not to have our memberships automatically renewed. Our memberships were to expire on 4/30/2018. My account continued to get charged for a total of 337.62. I have repeatedly called the gym and the first time I spoke with a manager, she stated that she was sorry for what has happened and that she was putting in for a full refund. To no avail, it has been over 2 months and still nothing. Every time I call the home gym I get the run around and they tell me that the manager is not available and that she would call me back. I have never received a call back.

Today I emailed the area manager and she stated that I was never told that I would get a refund, which I was told several times that the refund request was out in. Planet Fitness is a franchise and it is privately owned. So when you call the customer service phone number they automatically switch you to the home club. The home club that is in question is in Bensonhurst Brooklyn, on 86th st and 20th ave. Something needs to be done about Planet Fitness because I have read and understand that I am not the first person with this type of problem. Planet Fitness needs to get their act together because they are not professional at all and their customer service is ridiculous.

Planet Fitness expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1994, Planet Fitness is an American gym that expanded into a franchise operation in 2003. Franchisees operate over 1,200 locations across the United States and are currently expanding into Canada and the Dominican Republic. Planet Fitness offers a full array of exercise machines, and many locations offer a selection of fitness classes.

• PF 30-minute Express Circuit: Planet Fitness makes it easy for patrons to complete a full cardio and strength training circuit in half an hour, using ten strength machines and ten cardio machines. A red-light, green-light system alerts those on the circuit when to switch machines.

• $10 membership: Planet Fitness offers a no-commitment $10/month membership option. It includes a T-shirt, unlimited access to one Planet Fitness club and unlimited access to training.

• Black Card membership: Planet Fitness’ Black Card membership is ideal for those who want more than just a basic gym membership. In addition to the benefits of a $10 membership, Black Card members enjoy use of all Planet Fitness franchise locations, unlimited tanning, half price drinks and many more benefits for about $20 a month.

• Free pe@pf service: Planet Fitness offers a program called pe@pf, which offers the benefits of a grown-up physical education course. Certified trainers will educate you on fitness equipment and routines and help you set goals appropriate for your current fitness level.

• Member perks: Every member can participate in Pizza Mondays and Bagel Tuesdays.

• Best for: fitness beginners and those who need a supportive gym environment.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs