Lose weight for good. How much can you lose?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

3.24/5

Planet Fitness Reviews

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

I've been a member of Planet Fitness Holland, Mi. for several years. I've always just done "my usual" routine which consisted of the Elliptical machine, Arc Climber, and the Treadmill. I did free weights and ab work but never considered taking "classes" there. I'd observed Maddie run classes a few times and was impressed so I decided to get out of my comfort zone and talk to her. I'm so glad I did.

My first class was "Refresh" which was amazing. I completed a "Strength" class today and LOVED it. Maddie was right there to help at every station and was very encouraging. She took some of my limitations to heart and showed me ways to modify the exercise to fit my needs. The classes are 30 minutes long, and she is with you every step of the way. I am looking forward to a "Core" class and plan to sign up for classes daily to work muscles that have been in hibernation for a while. I only wish I'd started earlier. I'm 58 years old, have a fused ankle and a surgically repaired knee and I COULD do everything! Maddie was a wonderful addition to our club in Holland.

Original review: July 25, 2019

Well going to a court case I needed to get video camera of me being stalked at Planet Fitness. I talked to the owner of Planet Fitness company who said to file police report I did and never got the video. I later went back and went to the manager who was a new manager. Since that time we have had a good working relationship. This manager is the right manager for the job. As of July 2019 the manager and White Lane Bakersfield is very good at her job and is very kind. Another employee by the name Angel does a great job down there. I know she knows her job very well and she is very kind. I would highly recommend Planet Fitness. A bad experience that has since then corrected. I never got the video needed for a court of law even though I won that case in a court of law. It was still hard on me because that ex girlfriend lied to get me in trouble. I am more than satisfied with their services now from Planet Fitness.

Get expert buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 14, 2019

Planet Fitness in Canton, Michigan is an awesome gym to go do your workout, very clean, nice place! I’ve been a member of Vic Tanny and Bally and many other gyms over the years, and this is by far the best deal I’ve ever seen! The staff is very pleasant and courteous and helpful!! All the equipment is very well maintained and gets the job done. I love their mantra, JUDGEMENT FREE ZONE where you don’t feel like you are there to impress anyone! The gym is to do your workout, period! Love, love, love the massage beds, chairs, tanning booth, and other perks for the black card membership (additional minimal cost)!! I gotta say I’m so impressed and pleased with the whole package and look forward to doing my workout at Planet Fitness, Canton, Michigan!

Original review: June 5, 2019

This location outside of Sedona in Cottonwood just opened in January. Very clean, 24 hrs, great deals and perks; I am shocked to no return what other gyms on the same street in the area charge! I totaled up what it costed me to join (1 dollar when it opened!), plus 42 annual fee, plus membership, and literally what I’d pay to join the other place and the first month is more than an entire year at PF!!!! WOW and what is even more astounding is that this gym is way cleaner and nicer than the other gym that charges almost 50 a month, with a contract, and expensive join fees. Even at the upgraded cost at PF it’s still remarkably less than their monthly fees. Plus worse equipment over there! Who can beat this? Probably no one. Good Job Planet Fitness. A plus!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

Wow! There sure are a lot of nitpicky reviews here. I guess there's a higher tendency to submit a review after a bad experience than a good one. Personally, I feel amazed that there's an option so cheap to get so much out of. I've been a member about a year and a half. I've lost 25 lbs and am in the best shape of my life at age 48. My only issue (at my location) is that I wish there was stricter enforcement of the 'wipe down the machine when finished' rule. As far as for those with payment issues, you should ask if they have a one time fee plan at your location. I bought a 18 month plan for $200.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Planet Fitness?

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

I have a valid Credit Card. A Credit Card is legal tender. They will not allow me to join without giving out my personal bank account numbers. You do not ever give out your bank account information. It is almost impossible to get a payment stopped once you give a company authorization to your personal bank account. I'll take my business elsewhere.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

I've been in the gym game for over 30 years becoming a trainer, etc. A while back, I was doing my gym thing in a facility and planned out my next machine not occupied almost 5 mins. While in the middle of my sets, another member arrived claiming "not being done". She did not tolerate "mixing sets" as many do with multiple users on the same device. I continued ignoring her comments and allowing breaks for her to complete her work as well. As I spun around to collect my gear and move on, she stuck her hand out as some kind of means of stopping my action.

In the oversensitive climate of Planet Fitness, she complained I had offended her hand with my shoulder. Bringing it up to the staff resulted in listening only to my reaction to her reaching my shoulder instead of applying the same sensitivity policy in contacting me. It was the slightest of contact to her as "intimidating" the same way a piano player would brush a keystroke. All the staff and corporate comments amounted to "leaving my military habits" at the door. Nobody was aware of my work for many years as I kept that demeanor hidden from many conversations. I've been in the gym game for over 30 years and have had many facilities become jealous over members approaching me for guidance instead of their paid staff. Multiple facilities have posted searching for counter help, to which I responded and discovered it was suddenly filled prior to my application. Until I left, that "umbrella" was constantly thrown at me despite tolerating the harassment.

After enough tormenting of "remember we are not recruits" without provocation, I finally told them "of course not, you don't have their character". I took away all of their "ammunition" further informing I was also a Drill Sgt at the time, a Master Fitness Trainer, and was attending further classes for my PhD. Their posture switched from prodding for my reaction to complete silence and staff level complaints of "intimidation".

They finally found a way to remove my membership by skewing a complaint. Instead of handling her contacting me without proper cause, they viewed my action as an aggression to her. It is something like complaining of spraining her wrist over a slap that did not phase me. Supposed video was reviewed that I was not also permitted to scrutinize. Upon entertaining enrolling into another far removed facility, I was further informed them hesitating to join me as another incident may occur. What a total load of garbage and harassment on their part. I am going to inform as many as possible of their unethical and illegal activities.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

When I signed up last November, I was assured that the membership does not automatically renew, which was the only reason I signed up. Like most people who sign up, I went there about 3 times. Recently I saw a $41 charge on my checking account for Planet Fitness. I called to a ask about it & was told it was the annual membership fee. The woman explained that they do not automatically renew, but you have to cancel it with a CERTIFIED LETTER or they KEEP CHARGING YOU! What's the difference? I was told there is no way to get my money back. What a rip off! How many ways can you twist words to screw people! I guess it is a good place if you want to get fat eating free pizza & bagels, but not good for much else.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

The Shelbyville Planet Fitness is clean friendly and plenty of equipment. I am new to the whole gym experience and they are all very helpful. Love going to the gym and I am looking forward to better health.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

I recently went to the Frederick, Md. Planet Fitness to get week membership to try the gym. They told me my only option was to pay 39.00 dues for a month. No matter the tv hype Planet Fitness is no different than any other gym, take advantage of the member at every opportunity rather than provide exemplary customer service.

Planet Fitness expert review by Joey Thurman

Founded in 1994, Planet Fitness is an American gym that expanded into a franchise operation in 2003. Franchisees operate over 1,200 locations across the United States and are currently expanding into Canada and the Dominican Republic. Planet Fitness offers a full array of exercise machines, and many locations offer a selection of fitness classes.

• PF 30-minute Express Circuit: Planet Fitness makes it easy for patrons to complete a full cardio and strength training circuit in half an hour, using ten strength machines and ten cardio machines. A red-light, green-light system alerts those on the circuit when to switch machines.

• $10 membership: Planet Fitness offers a no-commitment $10/month membership option. It includes a T-shirt, unlimited access to one Planet Fitness club and unlimited access to training.

• Black Card membership: Planet Fitness’ Black Card membership is ideal for those who want more than just a basic gym membership. In addition to the benefits of a $10 membership, Black Card members enjoy use of all Planet Fitness franchise locations, unlimited tanning, half price drinks and many more benefits for about $20 a month.

• Free pe@pf service: Planet Fitness offers a program called pe@pf, which offers the benefits of a grown-up physical education course. Certified trainers will educate you on fitness equipment and routines and help you set goals appropriate for your current fitness level.

• Member perks: Every member can participate in Pizza Mondays and Bagel Tuesdays.

• Best for: fitness beginners and those who need a supportive gym environment.

Profile picture of Joey Thurman
Joey Thurman Fitness and Nutrition Expert

Joey Thurman is a nationally recognized and spin certified health, fitness, nutrition expert and television host He is the author of "365 Health and Fitness Hacks That Could Save Your Life." His work has been featured in publications such as Men’s Health, U.S. News and World Report, NPR, People Magazine, Shape, NY Post, Fitness Magazine, ‪Women's Health and many more.

Planet Fitness Company Information