1.89/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

933 Planet Fitness Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Disgusted! I went this afternoon to meet with: Mufaro **... see below. "Congratulations. You have received a FREE Week Pass. Your Planet Fitness voucher number is **. Please show voucher at Brackenfell reception to redeem and ask for Mufaro **. Please bring proof of ID." I was very interested in joining up with Planet Fitness. Love the look of the gym seeing that I'm a visual person. However... this consultant was marketing the gym to me... making me feel fat, and ugly and this in front of my 3 children... girls aged 12 and 6 and boy aged 9.

Is this the way Planet Fitness markets their gyms? Then I want to be no part of it and will definitely be wording this to all I know. He didn't even take me to view the gym... kept on repeatedly saying how I need to lose weight and that I must follow the 3 d's... if I don't have discipline then my system is ** up... these were his exact words. What the hell? I know I'm no model figure, but to belittle and degrade me in front on my children, I believe was a cheap disgusting and pathetic shot at a 41-year-old mother of 4 who already suffers from a low self-esteem. From a disgusted what would have been potential client.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I have wasted over 30 minutes sitting on hold whenever I call both customer service numbers at their Corporate Headquarters. Both numbers take you to the same menu and continuously looping you through the EXACT SAME MESSAGES over and over again. Part of their message is "We apologize for the wait," yet they continue. Another portion of their message is "If you'd prefer to reach us by email..." However, I DON'T wish to contact them by email, I NEED TO SPEAK TO SOMEONE AT THE CORPORATE LEVEL!!! And even if I did wish to speak to someone by email it FORCES me to only contact my local club! Seriously? Corporate level customer service? IT'S A MYTH!!!

Get expert buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

The Appleton West location has some of the most friendly staff I’ve encountered. They’re always willing to go above and beyond to help. The staff is always polite and willing to help out when needed. I developed some medical concerns and the staff was very easy going and willing to help me with accommodations!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Vero Bech Fl store mgr Tony ** promised a partial refund if I showed documentation of my cancellation efforts. However when presented with the papers he refused. Even after I told him I am a service-connected veteran on a fixed income. No customer service at all.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Called the billing and they admitted there is a gentleman named John that signs in under my account but told me they couldn't do anything about it! Billing dept 888 8279262 I spoke to someone that didn't want to provide me her name! I called corporate 844 8807180 and explained my dilemma of someone fraudulently charging my account. And they stated I had to go directly to the club but yet I made several attempts to contact the club and all of my attempts are ignored! I have not had a membership since 2012 yet someone thinks it's OK to now charge my account. And I have accumulated charges since July and have been trying since October!

I need a refund of all the charges and I have a statement showing proof of all charges made by Planet Fitness. How is it they are able to confirm fraud and a person using my account verbally but cannot refund money back? This is ridiculous! I spoke to Hugo at the Kendall location which is where my account was opened. And he literally stated he is aware of this particular complaint and stated I needed my account number when he clearly located the account with my name and phone number. How can I have any account number after more than 5 years! Keeping 3 years worth of things is common but not 5 years of documentation. I was treated poorly and have made many attempts and need assistance. I need help and nobody not even corporate has tried to help.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Planet Fitness?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

When you first sign up they don't say anything about the one-year commitment that you're signing up for. To cancel it's extremely expensive. My wife and I went to the Pittsburgh and Concord California gyms. The Concord was cleaner. They very busy in the evenings. The Pittsburg gym had problems with people breaking into the cars in the parking lot every day. We would see new glass right in front of the gym. Would be nice if they would put up cameras or have Security in the parking lots during normal business hours.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

Wow! There sure are a lot of nitpicky reviews here. I guess there's a higher tendency to submit a review after a bad experience than a good one. Personally, I feel amazed that there's an option so cheap to get so much out of. I've been a member about a year and a half. I've lost 25 lbs and am in the best shape of my life at age 48. My only issue (at my location) is that I wish there was stricter enforcement of the 'wipe down the machine when finished' rule. As far as for those with payment issues, you should ask if they have a one time fee plan at your location. I bought a 18 month plan for $200.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

My Planet Fitness seems to have short term memory. They tend to forget that they take out money from my account each month and then put down that they didn't take money out of my account. Then when I do pay the late fee even though I already paid for that month they sit here and forget to put it in because apparently I didn't pay a month a year ago yet 5 months ago when my account was frozen because they said that I had late fees. I paid for all the months that apparently I missed. I guess this one slipped through them over a year ago.

Resolution response: Jan. 5, 2019

After thinking about the experience I had with Planet Fitness I realized that I was judging the entire business on my personal experience with a particular worker and not the whole company. I was very angry that Cindy treated me so rudely and with such hostility that I wrote the review- but Cindy is just a worker and not Planet Fitness. Therefore, I revised my rating.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

My husband and I have been members off and on for a few years. We have the membership where my husband is the primary but he can bring a guest each time. I am the ONLY guest he ever brings. I filled out paperwork waivers as the guest and have been a regular with my husband. We only go a couple times a week and we only stay less than a half an hour so probably not getting our money's worth but still enjoy going. Well, I carry my phone with my debit card and credit cards inside. I can't fit a lot of IDs so I always opt out of having my license on me because I have lost my license in the past so I rarely carry it.

Whenever I go into my BANGOR, MAINE Planet Fitness, I am most often greeted by young men who know me by sight. I always give them my name when my husband scans in the membership card. I am never given a problem about this since I do have my credit cards and debit card on me with my name which I have shown in the past with NO problem.

Tonight I go and CINDY asks me for my ID. I show her my credit card and she looks at me as if I am a criminal. She says really loud in front of a group of other customers, "THERE ARE STRICT ORDERS IN YOUR CHART TO SHOW ME A PICTURE ID!!!" OK, I understand a little bit of asking for an ID even though they know me AND I signed all the waivers but to deny me admittance because I have a credit card and a debit card WITH my name clearly on it is being totally ridiculous. I am not some underage teenager trying to buy alcohol. I was treated publicly as if I were trying to do something criminal. I am merely trying to exercise and THEY - CINDY - know me. They have seen me a hundred times. CINDY is taking the ID rule to extreme and missing the point of asking for an ID. As a result my husband and I will be taking our business elsewhere as will our son.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I have contacted customer service attendants about the listening device on the elliptical machine not working and it seems like they are not servicing them because I have tried several ones. Was at Planet Fitness today and informed the guy at the desk about needing help with the machine and he said he would come and help once someone else comes to the desk. Well, I exercised for 20 minutes and he never came. But on my way out there were more customer service attendants at the desk. I guess he just got too busy to remember to come and help me out.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

NEVER give your billing information to Planet Fitness. They will steal from you the rest of your life. I actually had to call my bank twice to block Planet Fitness from stealing more money from my account. PF found a way around the first block!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I don’t understand why so many people write bad reviews about this company. Their machines are good to use and their tanning machines are a must. Even though the free weights go up to like 70 lbs you can still get in a good workout. Also, people really need to start reading their contracts before they want to cry about paying $30.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Planet Fitness boasts about how it's a "judgement free zone" with no hidden fees. But they take out more than you owe for your membership before your membership fees are due and do so without warning. Isn't that EXACTLY what hidden fees are?? Bringing this to corporate attention, they do nothing about it and basically say it's not their problem. There are much better gyms to go to. Don't waste your money here, they practically Rob you blind. They also charge you $8 for tanning lotion samples that are free at tanning salons. Do not get lotion from them as they charge about 20% more than they are worth and are sold at the actual retail price at other stores and tanning salons. All around ripoff that sounds like a good deal until you have to pay your life away for the hidden fees and overpriced extras.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Inquired about a Black Card membership on 12-29-2018 Saturday. I was told that I had until midnight on 12-31-2018 to sign up for the $1 down, 1st month free, no commitment, full access to any Planet Fitness nationwide (no additional franchise fees for using other facilities, like the white card membership does), Black Card membership. On Monday the 31st, I went to the bank opened an account they could draft the monthly fee from and proceeded to sign up, only to find out the deal changed before 12 midnight on 12-31-18. Deal changed to NO free month, 12 month commitment, NO $1 down.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I'm new customer with Planet Fitness and I was told by Tamica, fitness trainer, that since I signed up for the Black Card plan that I could bring up to 13 guest but not at one time. I brought my two grandchildren ages 12 and 15 years old, on Saturday night December 29, 2018. I was told that I only could bring one guest at a time and that they at least had to be 13 years old. I asked since I was already there would it be okay for the 12 year old to sit in the front because he was old enough to sit and I would keep an eye on him but was told no I could not. I did asked to see the policies in writing and it did state what the young lady was stating.

First, I was told something totally different and I'm a member and I feel the young lady should have took more consideration and allow the 12 years old only for that one time to sit in the front and made clear to me that she will never do it again. But instead, I wasted a whole trip and this was not a good experience left with my grandchildren.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

This place is a joke, managed by a liar and while I would like to put the issue to rest, since they refunded me all dues and the enrollment fee paid these yahoos at Planet Fitness keep inviting me to re-join the gym that I left due to extreme prejudice and lack of corporate oversight. So here’s the story: I was working out when a racist started yelling at me, the staff was notified, and the man left.

While their employee and other gym members apologized, the manager (JC) insisted that we were both at fault. He presumably made this decision based on his own racist attitudes. There were at least 2 other gym members that attested to seeing the man verbally attack me (without being provoked) and one employee that said he was resigning over how the situation was handled. As a result, I decided to end my membership immediately and secure the monies paid to this place; after several complaints, including statements from people who were there, didn’t know me, and contradicted everything J purported, I was refunded every dime.

Bottom line: avoid this place and the covert racism that exist with its management. This includes all Planet Fitness organizations, not just this one operated by the JFZ company.

I reached out to the corporate office and social@planetfitness.com, and was informed that “each club is independently owned and operated.” This means that they don’t care what goes on at their locations, which bear their name and image. Therefore, I do not want this organization to advertise their low fees and “judgement free zone.” For every unsolicited email that I receive, I will re-tell the experience of discrimination that I encountered.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I signed up for gym membership in April 2018 because they said they will have their next location in Pearl City. So they told me to get the black membership. That way I can go to any location. I did. Well it is now Dec 2018 and driving to Ala Moana traffic is very inconvenient, and there is no Pearl City location. I wrote them a formal cancellation letter on Nov 12th, 2018. Got a call back from manager Sheray whom said mail a check for $60.74 to cancel the membership and I would receive an email confirming. Well, nothing and I got auto drafted my Dec 2018 fee. I really hate these kinds of clubs and for sure will never join again or recommend someone else to join Planet Fitness.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Feeling overcharged. Why am I being charged a higher rate if I pay in full? Than someone deducting out of their bank account. This seems illegal. This a common practice of all Planet Fitness or is this a form of getting more money from their customers. I would like to know.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I was very excited to start my membership with you guys but just to start, they only have 6 StairMaster in the Alhambra location. How is possible that have joined this gym for about 5 months and for 2 months 4 of them are being out of service so it makes our workout routine really hard especially when you only have certain amount of time to do it.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Started my membership 14 months ago, but upgraded 7 months ago. I was charged a $62 fee for terminating my membership before a year, which is unfair. I am too far from this gym and needed to move my membership, so they are additionally unable to fit my needs. I was unable to cancel online so I was also hit with my yearly membership fees and my December charges. This is gouging and very unfair as I ended up paying over $100 just in December when I was attempting to cancel.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

This is the worst place ever! They lied about the cancellation fee when I signed up and said there was no fee, when I went to cancel they are telling me there is a buy out fee of $58.00! The staff Gregory **, Breanna and few others are rude! I hope this place goes out of business and fast.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I have been a member since you opened your club on Marrows road in Newark, Del. You have a manager that isn't doing his job. His name is Charles **. I was on a treadmill and on my left he was busy standing on another treadmill busy talking to a girl. There was a girl on my right and she was going quite fast when she fell and she flow off the treadmill on her face. I jumped off to help her but he only turned around and looked and just kept talking to the girl. He never even checked if she was okay. He isn't very pleasant. I always asked Richard for help. He should be the manager.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

At least in the Helena, MT, location, the same ONE streaming station plays the worst of the worst pop music which sounds like it's all electronic and hard to tell if there are even real human voices singing! I'm quitting PF if this music problem doesn't change and as of now, I exercise outside whenever I can, but hard to do in 0 degree winter weather!

THE MUSIC IS TERRIBLE!!! EXTREMELY DEMOTIVATING, TAKES AWAY FROM MY WORKOUT EXPERIENCE AND IT'S STERILE, COLD, AND DEPRESSING... I feel WORSE from the music ALONE at end of workout. Of course I bring my own music, but my earbuds often can't drown it out because it's jacked up way too loud most of the time. Also difficult to wear those anyway when lifting weights. When I've talked about the music issue, the typical response is that " corporate makes that decision" implying that it's the way they want it and it won't ever change.

They dont care about very real and good customer suggestions about this one thing. Vary the music! I'm a paying customer and should have the right to not have the poppy, same sounding crap from only ONE streaming station forced down our throats. The unfortunate employees dont have a say either in this. It's a CORPORATE issue. If PF Corporates care about their people they would at least compromise on this instead of going on this "cookie cutter" "one size fits all mentality" regarding music played and refusing any change to it. Not all of us are like sheep liking the same one thing when it comes to what we put in our ears!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Every day I go to this gym, the wifi won't even load YouTube. The tv shows suck unless your IQ level is below zero. Don't say you have wifi and charge me for it if reading a book would be more entertaining. False advertising.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

My subscription ended last February sometime and without notice they auto renewed the subscription for month to month, I changed bank cards too and they somehow continues to take money from my bank leaving me negative in the bank most times. When you call the help center they are not much help at all and the managers in the centers are condescending jerks and are rude. I just want them to stop taking money from me. Since February they've been taking money and I have not authorized it. What to do? I do not recommend Planet Fitness to ANYONE!!!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I go to the New Rochelle location. I was told not to bring outside gym equipment. Mind you I have been going there for 6 months. They have seen me with this ab wheel as everyone else in the gym takes one too. I can't go in with it I was told. I just said ok. I will write the BBB on this.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I go to the Edgewood branch two days a week. I brought a guest. The guy at the counter was very rude to him. And their equipment is dirty. I would not recommend this location. The location in N Versailles is clean and the staff is very friendly.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

About two months ago I lost Beats Solo3 and one of the workers kept it with her. The manager did not do anything and never went back to that gym where his clients were robbed. I am still waiting for the manager call me.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I canceled my Planet Fitness membership over a year ago and they STILL continued to pull money from my account without my knowledge until I took a close look at my bank statements. Do not join PF, join a local gym. These corporate gyms are money hungry and it is a pain to cancel your membership. You have to either go in to the gym itself or send a letter in the mail detailing why you want to cancel. I thought the charges were fraudulent because I had canceled my membership, but lo and behold they're still taking money from me even though I haven't set foot in any PF in well over a year. Stay away from Planet Fitness!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

Wanted to join. Couldn't pay with a credit card, bank account access only. Not too safe from my viewpoint. When I asked, I was shown the only payment methods were checking account or savings access. Now that I have read some of the horror stories, I do believe them. Glad I never got to sign any contract with them.

Planet Fitness expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1994, Planet Fitness is an American gym that expanded into a franchise operation in 2003. Franchisees operate over 1,200 locations across the United States and are currently expanding into Canada and the Dominican Republic. Planet Fitness offers a full array of exercise machines, and many locations offer a selection of fitness classes.

• PF 30-minute Express Circuit: Planet Fitness makes it easy for patrons to complete a full cardio and strength training circuit in half an hour, using ten strength machines and ten cardio machines. A red-light, green-light system alerts those on the circuit when to switch machines.

• $10 membership: Planet Fitness offers a no-commitment $10/month membership option. It includes a T-shirt, unlimited access to one Planet Fitness club and unlimited access to training.

• Black Card membership: Planet Fitness’ Black Card membership is ideal for those who want more than just a basic gym membership. In addition to the benefits of a $10 membership, Black Card members enjoy use of all Planet Fitness franchise locations, unlimited tanning, half price drinks and many more benefits for about $20 a month.

• Free pe@pf service: Planet Fitness offers a program called pe@pf, which offers the benefits of a grown-up physical education course. Certified trainers will educate you on fitness equipment and routines and help you set goals appropriate for your current fitness level.

• Member perks: Every member can participate in Pizza Mondays and Bagel Tuesdays.

• Best for: fitness beginners and those who need a supportive gym environment.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs