Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.53/5

Planet Fitness Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Planet Fitness?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Planet Fitness?

Original review: April 19, 2020

This gym is very economical and includes a lot of equipment for various type of workouts. Lots of tvs and music help with good distractions. TVs are limited to 8 channels that cannot be changed, meaning you may miss your hometown football team on a given week. They are very well run and they are kept very clean, especially given the high traffic in peak hours. They also carry some products such as earbuds if you forget yours or damage them, as well as drinks, locks, clothing etc. Best part is, if you have a black card, you can bring a friend for free or get a massage.

Original review: April 18, 2020

The many times that I visited this gym I found it to have the machines that I needed to use. The treadmills were plenty. As were the stationary bicycles. As far as the weight machines go, they had a variety of them aimed at working out different parts of the body. For the most part the machines were clean as they advise that after using the equipment, you wipe them down with the sanitizing spray and paper towels that they provide and have set up throughout the facility. I’ve visited two (2) of their gyms frequently and found this to be consistent in both places. They provide assistance as well if you need it. They provide different exercising programs as well. Lockers and showers are available to use as well. I feel that this gym is worth the money.

Get buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 7, 2020

I really enjoyed the Planet Fitness better than any of the other gyms. I like how it's set up with different rooms off to the sides. I like that is very clean. The staff is there to help you at any time, very friendly. The equipment is spotless, clean and I really like the chairs that you lay in that give you the massages with the water. That was the main reason that I joined. I suffer and chronic pain and I knew what the exercise and the massage of that chair I'd be a good shape. The only thing I didn't like was that there's not very many of them. I had to drive almost a half hour to get there. And it just was not conducive for a quick workout.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2020

I've enjoyed the Planet Fitness Circuit for about 3 yrs now. I am enjoying the workout with a few of the same people 3-4 times a week. At first I was frustrated that the classes were held at different times daily. I've been going to other gyms many years with classes at the same time each day. I have gotten over that inconvenience for the sake of the gym being near my home. Now since the new year another inconvenience has been put upon us. Which is the decision of Planet Fitness 30 Minute Circuits to be less times each day! These classes were twice a day now the single class is once a day and some held in the evenings only. Only two classes during the week are before 2PM. Many of us are seniors so driving in the dark is not an option. We have a terrific Trainer plus the gym is kept well. I would appreciate knowing the reason for this inconvenience, thank you.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

I've been a member of Planet Fitness Holland, Mi. for several years. I've always just done "my usual" routine which consisted of the Elliptical machine, Arc Climber, and the Treadmill. I did free weights and ab work but never considered taking "classes" there. I'd observed Maddie run classes a few times and was impressed so I decided to get out of my comfort zone and talk to her. I'm so glad I did.

My first class was "Refresh" which was amazing. I completed a "Strength" class today and LOVED it. Maddie was right there to help at every station and was very encouraging. She took some of my limitations to heart and showed me ways to modify the exercise to fit my needs. The classes are 30 minutes long, and she is with you every step of the way. I am looking forward to a "Core" class and plan to sign up for classes daily to work muscles that have been in hibernation for a while. I only wish I'd started earlier. I'm 58 years old, have a fused ankle and a surgically repaired knee and I COULD do everything! Maddie was a wonderful addition to our club in Holland.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2020

Thanks Planet Fitness for the super clean facilities and expert coaching. I love the new local PF and will stay as a member long term. I appreciate the $10/month fee and friendly service. Thanks for moving to our town.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

I took my daughter to get a short term membership for the summer to be able to do her workouts for her college sport before returning to campus in the fall. We asked the sales associate if it was possible to avoid the $39.00 annual fee if my daughter would only be using the membership for June and July (2020). We were told yes, as long as we cancelled by August 8th, 2020. On August 1st, 2020, my account was debited 39.00 for the annual fee. We went into the location on Robious Road in Chesterfield County, VA where I purchased the membership and was told the individual who sold us the membership no longer worked there and that she had told us the wrong date.

I explained had I been given the correct information about the fee we would have said "thanks but no thanks" and left. They said they had to get approval from some regional person. After not hearing back the next day I called back. I was told they had not been given an answer on whether I would get a refund. Three more days passed without word. I called back on August 7 and was told the "supervisor" would not authorize the refund. I can assure Planet Fitness that is the last money they will ever get out of me.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2020

I’ve been using Planet Fitness since mid 2018, now that the pandemic hit, I went into my bank account and realized that have been billing me for all this time, and I have not gone to the gym for the this whole year, at all; so I called my branch and asked if it was possible to get a refund at least for the months of the pandemic and the annual fee which the person who attended me said she could not do since my account had been active the whole time. I tried calling in to cancel my account, but of course, they’re closed. We’re all going through a life changing pandemic, and I really can’t process how planet fitness can understand that and be more flexible about it. I’m very disappointed on this branch and hope we don’t have to cross paths again.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2020

My account was cancelled in November 2019 and it is now August 2020. They were sent 4 emails of cancellation since my membership was over. To this day they continue to charge my account yearly fees and monthly I have also spoken to the company five times and they still are charging me. The last time before manager the next day they decided to double charge me after my monthly payment was the week before. This last phone call With the general manager Scott he said no way he would refund Any money whatsoever. Also can not log back into account to change the payment method so now they can continue charging me. 10 months of unauthorized charging.

What a scam. They take your payment info, will not let you use account, then continue to charge you. I guess maybe that’s their scam to stay in business. By the way only used club twice in the one year contract that ended in November 2019. So there is no way of stopping them to do this forever. Horrible scam of a company. Very scary.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

Bad Bad Bad experience. Please, I beg you: spend your hard earned money somewhere else. The company claims to have cheap fees but I continue to be charged and I even had to pay $40 for a annual fee in the middle of Covid crisis. I tried to contact them SEVERAL times via phone, I sent them a letter trying to cancel my membership and they simply respond to that with one sentence: We haven't received it. They will do whatever it takes to take your money. Scammers!!

I spoke with one assistant manager on the Orlando Club called Jose and with a district manager for franchises called Mauricio **. Both of them refused to refund the annual fee. The district manager ONLY believes his manager and told us that we have never sent the letter requesting cancellation. He ONLY believes his manager and told us that we have never called the club trying to speak with the manager. The WORST customer service EVER!!!!

Planet Fitness author review by Joey Thurman

Founded in 1994, Planet Fitness is an American gym that expanded into a franchise operation in 2003. Franchisees operate over 1,200 locations across the United States and are currently expanding into Canada and the Dominican Republic. Planet Fitness offers a full array of exercise machines, and many locations offer a selection of fitness classes.

• PF 30-minute Express Circuit: Planet Fitness makes it easy for patrons to complete a full cardio and strength training circuit in half an hour, using ten strength machines and ten cardio machines. A red-light, green-light system alerts those on the circuit when to switch machines.

• $10 membership: Planet Fitness offers a no-commitment $10/month membership option. It includes a T-shirt, unlimited access to one Planet Fitness club and unlimited access to training.

• Black Card membership: Planet Fitness’ Black Card membership is ideal for those who want more than just a basic gym membership. In addition to the benefits of a $10 membership, Black Card members enjoy use of all Planet Fitness franchise locations, unlimited tanning, half price drinks and many more benefits for about $20 a month.

• Free pe@pf service: Planet Fitness offers a program called pe@pf, which offers the benefits of a grown-up physical education course. Certified trainers will educate you on fitness equipment and routines and help you set goals appropriate for your current fitness level.

• Member perks: Every member can participate in Pizza Mondays and Bagel Tuesdays.

by Joey Thurman Fitness and Nutrition Expert

Joey Thurman is a nationally recognized and spin certified health, fitness, nutrition expert and television host He is the author of "365 Health and Fitness Hacks That Could Save Your Life." His work has been featured in publications such as Men’s Health, U.S. News and World Report, NPR, People Magazine, Shape, NY Post, Fitness Magazine, ‪Women's Health and many more.

Planet Fitness Company Information