Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.94/5

Planet Fitness Reviews

Original review: Jan. 12, 2020

I've enjoyed the Planet Fitness Circuit for about 3 yrs now. I am enjoying the workout with a few of the same people 3-4 times a week. At first I was frustrated that the classes were held at different times daily. I've been going to other gyms many years with classes at the same time each day. I have gotten over that inconvenience for the sake of the gym being near my home. Now since the new year another inconvenience has been put upon us. Which is the decision of Planet Fitness 30 Minute Circuits to be less times each day! These classes were twice a day now the single class is once a day and some held in the evenings only. Only two classes during the week are before 2PM. Many of us are seniors so driving in the dark is not an option. We have a terrific Trainer plus the gym is kept well. I would appreciate knowing the reason for this inconvenience, thank you.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

I've been a member of Planet Fitness Holland, Mi. for several years. I've always just done "my usual" routine which consisted of the Elliptical machine, Arc Climber, and the Treadmill. I did free weights and ab work but never considered taking "classes" there. I'd observed Maddie run classes a few times and was impressed so I decided to get out of my comfort zone and talk to her. I'm so glad I did.

My first class was "Refresh" which was amazing. I completed a "Strength" class today and LOVED it. Maddie was right there to help at every station and was very encouraging. She took some of my limitations to heart and showed me ways to modify the exercise to fit my needs. The classes are 30 minutes long, and she is with you every step of the way. I am looking forward to a "Core" class and plan to sign up for classes daily to work muscles that have been in hibernation for a while. I only wish I'd started earlier. I'm 58 years old, have a fused ankle and a surgically repaired knee and I COULD do everything! Maddie was a wonderful addition to our club in Holland.

Get expert buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 25, 2019

Well going to a court case I needed to get video camera of me being stalked at Planet Fitness. I talked to the owner of Planet Fitness company who said to file police report I did and never got the video. I later went back and went to the manager who was a new manager. Since that time we have had a good working relationship. This manager is the right manager for the job. As of July 2019 the manager and White Lane Bakersfield is very good at her job and is very kind. Another employee by the name Angel does a great job down there. I know she knows her job very well and she is very kind. I would highly recommend Planet Fitness. A bad experience that has since then corrected. I never got the video needed for a court of law even though I won that case in a court of law. It was still hard on me because that ex girlfriend lied to get me in trouble. I am more than satisfied with their services now from Planet Fitness.

Original review: July 14, 2019

Planet Fitness in Canton, Michigan is an awesome gym to go do your workout, very clean, nice place! I’ve been a member of Vic Tanny and Bally and many other gyms over the years, and this is by far the best deal I’ve ever seen! The staff is very pleasant and courteous and helpful!! All the equipment is very well maintained and gets the job done. I love their mantra, JUDGEMENT FREE ZONE where you don’t feel like you are there to impress anyone! The gym is to do your workout, period! Love, love, love the massage beds, chairs, tanning booth, and other perks for the black card membership (additional minimal cost)!! I gotta say I’m so impressed and pleased with the whole package and look forward to doing my workout at Planet Fitness, Canton, Michigan!

Original review: June 5, 2019

This location outside of Sedona in Cottonwood just opened in January. Very clean, 24 hrs, great deals and perks; I am shocked to no return what other gyms on the same street in the area charge! I totaled up what it costed me to join (1 dollar when it opened!), plus 42 annual fee, plus membership, and literally what I’d pay to join the other place and the first month is more than an entire year at PF!!!! WOW and what is even more astounding is that this gym is way cleaner and nicer than the other gym that charges almost 50 a month, with a contract, and expensive join fees. Even at the upgraded cost at PF it’s still remarkably less than their monthly fees. Plus worse equipment over there! Who can beat this? Probably no one. Good Job Planet Fitness. A plus!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Planet Fitness?

Original review: March 21, 2020

Apparently when I signed up for a year contract a year ago they didn't mention that they would start auto billing me once that contract was over. Now I want to cancel it and they aren't taking phone calls and their website sucks and won't let me login to cancel it that way even though that's what the phone hotline says to do. Basically they are continuing to charge me with no way to stop it.

Original review: March 18, 2020

When I arrive at the gym today they were just cutting hours but 2 hours later they say temporary closed due to the Coronavirus.. Ok that’s fine.. What’s not fine is that they still charged for memberships when the club is gonna be closed and when I asked an associate about it they were really rude and said I have to check in when they reopen.

Original review: March 17, 2020

Due to the corona virus pandemic, I was advised by my physician to isolate myself at home; I am a heart attack and pneumonia survivor. One of the precautions that I was advised to take is to stop attending my gym immediately. I called my Planet Fitness in Evanston, IL to cancel my membership, and was told that I have to physically come into the club to cancel, which I reluctantly did last week. This morning, I was charged for another month's membership! I called the gym, and explained my situation to the manager - Ezra - and he refused to refund the charge! I am retired, on a low fixed budget, and need every penny. I am shocked and disappointed by Ezra's cold and irresponsible dismissal of my request, and will never join another Planet Fitness again!

Original review: March 13, 2020

Plant Fitness has had a promotion up to March 12th, but now extended it through March 16th which I'm sure is because the wasted other peoples time as they did mine. The promotion is "free enrollment" and is advertised on their site as "free membership" and "no activation fee". However, I went to the location near me to get the promotion and I was told that this month would be prorated and the following month would $40 plus the $22.99 monthly fee. So in reality, you don't pay the membership fee when you open your account like normally happens, but the next full month they will take that fee and monthly fee directly out of your account.

This is ridiculous to do to people and made me realize, they must be hurting for memberships for some reason and as I looked around, there was 6 people in the whole gym. But this could cost someone a lot of money when they only expect $22.99 to be taken out and when they include the fee they flat out lie about, their account can bounce and get bank charges and I'm sure denied access to the gym when the payment won't go through. Even the lady on television commercial tells another lady next to her that she got a "free membership with her black card"!!!! Watch out for other scams with this company, if they will do this without a conscience, they will do anything.

Original review: March 11, 2020

Planet Fitness is a total scam! When I signed up for the black card membership through the web on my phone, I remember reading 'no commitment' which meant no locked in contract. Then one day I went to cancel my membership due to a shoulder injury and they told me I would have to pay a cancellation fee because I signed up for 12 months. I asked for the copy of the contract and on the contract they had me for 12 months minimum term. I was shocked, they did a bait and switch. At this point I told them about my shoulder situation and even showed them what my doctor had diagnosed. The manager told me I still couldn't cancel but I could do a medical freeze for couple of months. So without much of a choice at the moment I agreed.

After my 12 month term, I went back to cancel my membership and they tell me there is a $58 cancellation fee because I had couple of months left on my contract. They said because I had the medical freeze my membership had been extended for those months I didn't have to pay. No one told me this. This defeats the purpose of having a medical freeze if they want you to make up paying for it later. I told the Manager Courtney, nowhere on the contract does it state that. Her response was, "Whenever someone has the freeze, we add those months back onto the membership." Complete nonsense! This company's lack of honesty and integrity is truly amazing! They should be shut down with so many complaints going around. This is the Planet fitness on Sawmill Place Blvd, Cols, OH.

Planet Fitness expert review by Joey Thurman

Founded in 1994, Planet Fitness is an American gym that expanded into a franchise operation in 2003. Franchisees operate over 1,200 locations across the United States and are currently expanding into Canada and the Dominican Republic. Planet Fitness offers a full array of exercise machines, and many locations offer a selection of fitness classes.

• PF 30-minute Express Circuit: Planet Fitness makes it easy for patrons to complete a full cardio and strength training circuit in half an hour, using ten strength machines and ten cardio machines. A red-light, green-light system alerts those on the circuit when to switch machines.

• $10 membership: Planet Fitness offers a no-commitment $10/month membership option. It includes a T-shirt, unlimited access to one Planet Fitness club and unlimited access to training.

• Black Card membership: Planet Fitness’ Black Card membership is ideal for those who want more than just a basic gym membership. In addition to the benefits of a $10 membership, Black Card members enjoy use of all Planet Fitness franchise locations, unlimited tanning, half price drinks and many more benefits for about $20 a month.

• Free pe@pf service: Planet Fitness offers a program called pe@pf, which offers the benefits of a grown-up physical education course. Certified trainers will educate you on fitness equipment and routines and help you set goals appropriate for your current fitness level.

• Member perks: Every member can participate in Pizza Mondays and Bagel Tuesdays.

• Best for: fitness beginners and those who need a supportive gym environment.

by Joey Thurman Fitness and Nutrition Expert

Joey Thurman is a nationally recognized and spin certified health, fitness, nutrition expert and television host He is the author of "365 Health and Fitness Hacks That Could Save Your Life." His work has been featured in publications such as Men’s Health, U.S. News and World Report, NPR, People Magazine, Shape, NY Post, Fitness Magazine, ‪Women's Health and many more.

Planet Fitness Company Information