3.35/5

999 Planet Fitness Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 5, 2019

This location outside of Sedona in Cottonwood just opened in January. Very clean, 24 hrs, great deals and perks; I am shocked to no return what other gyms on the same street in the area charge! I totaled up what it costed me to join (1 dollar when it opened!), plus 42 annual fee, plus membership, and literally what I’d pay to join the other place and the first month is more than an entire year at PF!!!! WOW and what is even more astounding is that this gym is way cleaner and nicer than the other gym that charges almost 50 a month, with a contract, and expensive join fees. Even at the upgraded cost at PF it’s still remarkably less than their monthly fees. Plus worse equipment over there! Who can beat this? Probably no one. Good Job Planet Fitness. A plus!

Original review: March 22, 2019

This gym is inexpensive, it’s extremely clean, the equipment is fantastic and I can bring my husband for no additional charge. The staff is friendly and they have a lot of cardio equipment. This makes it easy to spread out! Their 30 min circuit is a great total body workout. I’ve seen a lot of negative reports on here but our experience has been great!

Get expert buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

Wow! There sure are a lot of nitpicky reviews here. I guess there's a higher tendency to submit a review after a bad experience than a good one. Personally, I feel amazed that there's an option so cheap to get so much out of. I've been a member about a year and a half. I've lost 25 lbs and am in the best shape of my life at age 48. My only issue (at my location) is that I wish there was stricter enforcement of the 'wipe down the machine when finished' rule. As far as for those with payment issues, you should ask if they have a one time fee plan at your location. I bought a 18 month plan for $200.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I have been a member since you opened your club on Marrows road in Newark, Del. You have a manager that isn't doing his job. His name is Charles **. I was on a treadmill and on my left he was busy standing on another treadmill busy talking to a girl. There was a girl on my right and she was going quite fast when she fell and she flow off the treadmill on her face. I jumped off to help her but he only turned around and looked and just kept talking to the girl. He never even checked if she was okay. He isn't very pleasant. I always asked Richard for help. He should be the manager.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I've been going to PFsince Feb and love it! The managers are always so pleasant and helpful! When I had billing issues Ester sat down and went over things with me! Mark, the owner, never has and issue with talking to clients and making everyone feel welcome. The trainers push you to do your best. Always clean and prompt! I being friends with me all the time and hear how amazing the Dover De PF is! Thanks for everyone's hard work there and your professionalism.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Planet Fitness?

Original review: June 21, 2019

Samuelle the front desk worker rudely screamed and yelled at me while I was trying to cancel my membership. I did nothing wrong other than come in to cancel and he was in some mood and whatever it was something triggered him to loudly scream and threaten me! How dare he speak to me in this manner! My son and others witnessed this from him. I will be suing him and your company for harassment!!! This took place - 6/20/2019 10:30pm.

Original review: June 15, 2019

Do not join Planet Fitness. It is a complete rip off! When it was time to cancel hit with a huge cancellation fee. At no time did we agree to a year long commitment. Save your money. DO NOT GO TO Planet Fitness!!

Original review: June 13, 2019

After my 12 month contract agreement expired, Planet Fitness tried to charge my bank account for monthly reoccurring fees and annual fee without my authorization. I contacted my bank and had a block placed on Planet Fitness from attempting this again. I reached out to management numerous times and they have never called me back after 2 months of trying to resolve this issue. I filed a BBB complaint and they sent me a collection email the following day. Do not join or get involved with Planet Fitness in any way. Additionally, members are nasty. They do not wipe down their machines after use. Management is aware of this fact yet staff will not address members who violate this health concern. I DO NOT WANT STAPH.

Original review: June 10, 2019

I will admit, the gym is clean and they had what I needed. But the management is robotic, and each time I talked to them about issues that came up, the response was akin to "You're SOL, it's all in the contract". For a gym that totes being for the people, I was really let down. For example I went to quit (it's in the city next to mine and I can’t commit to the 40 minute drive anymore), and they said I had to pay the annual fee and the next months payment, ‘cause I could only quit in person, and only had till the end of the day to meet their unreasonable timing restrictions. They also have no customer service it seems, so I’m stuck talking to the useless robots at my location. Thanks for nothing. :(

Original review: June 10, 2019

Tried to speak to a manager several times and left messages regarding a late fee that was charged to my account. Late fee because of an error that the gym made setting up the account. Never got a call back, was told that the manager would be there at a certain time, went to the facility. And of course no manager was available. Was given his cellphone number, and still not response. Canceled my membership. They should be retrained on customer service!!

Original review: June 9, 2019

I went to a grand opening in Lumberton NC decided to try out PF, was given the typical sales pitch decided to try it out. Well the one thing they forgot to tell you is when you sign up you're under a 12 month contract and even if you use membership within the 1st 72 hours you can cancel but you will be charged even though the contract says you have the right to cancel in 72 hours. When I went physically to gym to cancel I then was informed that now they want to charge a 58.00 buyout fee. What? You're kidding right? Managers only work M-F at this location seriously, and when a non trained employee contacted the manager I then was told mgr. said I would still be charged the buyout fee. I THINK NOT!!!! So now I will contact my bank and put a stop payment on all transactions current and future from this NON TRUTHFUL DISCLOSURE of a company.

Original review: June 9, 2019

Do not enter into any kind of membership with this company. I am moving to another state and have been give the worst runaround by this junk company. I am tried to cancel my membership for a full week only to have roadblock after roadblock. Finally, I was able to get my membership cancelled a week later only to find it was within the seven day billing cycle for yearly fees and was charged $50. So I’m paying for a year's maintenance for a company I no longer belong to. And instead doing the right thing and refunding money to a loyal customer of three years, they are keeping my money. They are thieves and crooks, totally unwilling to help their customers.

Original review: June 7, 2019

I was told by a worker that I reminded her of a family member and that she noticed the way I worked out. She advised me to not pay attention to anything someone else says. I responded that this is a judgement free zone right? Her response was that it's supposed to be but it's not. I said if that's the case it should be reported to management. She told me that it is management that the comments are normally told to. I let the matter go, but today I experienced it for myself. Where one well liked customer had a derogatory remark about someone and made it to the the manager and another employee, and they all did nothing but laugh. I know that this is human nature. I know no one is perfect. But their business motto is built on a lie, and if the company heads don't realize it someone should tell them.

Original review: June 6, 2019

When diagnosed with cancer and having to undergo surgery and radiation treatment I contacted P.F. to put a medical hold on my account. This was not done after speaking to (3), yes, three individuals assured it would be and monthly fees were, of course, continually taken from my account. With being ill and unable to do very much including work for three months, I didn’t pay attention until I noticed that they kept trying multiple withdraws from my acct overdrawing it. I was charged late fees in addition to the monthly fees. This could have all been avoided if they put the acct on hold as I was assured in the first place. I mean, who lies they have cancer!

Regardless, I stopped in several times after the fact to cancel my membership and I was told I can’t because there are late fees. I refuse to pay these fees since I’ve been paying my membership fees and not using their facility and they never froze my membership as requested to cause this problem. For the last few years they take the yearly and monthly fees and I can’t use the gym nor can I cancel? I’m reporting this to the BBB and checking with the FTC if there are multiple complaints as well. I sent emails to customer service and they pawn you off to your home gym and it’s back to the beginning of the vicious cycle. It’s a losing battle but I’m sick of it now! Time to take matters to a higher authority.

Original review: June 4, 2019

Every location I have been to has been awful. The staff doesn't know what they are doing or what they are talking about. Management is unorganized. Corporate is absolutely no help when calling to complain. I was given false information from two stores FIVE different times. I was told I don't exist in their system but they continued to charge me monthly. When I did cancel it, I filled out the information but they said they would have to get a manager to do it the next day. I called two days later after receiving no confirmation, only for the manager to tell me it was taken care of. I use my credit card for everything so when I finally checked my bank account they were STILL CHARGING ME.

When I called to complain at either place I was never given access to an owner and was told I could write a complaint letter but that the manager would most likely be the person to open it and not relay the information. Corporate's answer to everything was "You can speak with your home gym." Which obviously wasn't working. Fair to say I am now out hundreds of dollars and have tried reporting both locations, especially after finding out they were ILLEGALLY CHARGING my friend's bank accounts as well. This place is a scam! Go somewhere else.

Original review: June 3, 2019

Stay away from this place in my opinion. The customer service is horrific both at the Lakeside location (Lychelle **- manager) and Corporate. Planet is crazy if they think I'm going to pay for a service then be denied access to the facility. I signed up on May 17th 2019 and have been denied access ever since because there was a problem (alleged) with my payment method. The payment went through fine with a late fee of $15 which Planet refuses to waive. There should never be a late fee with auto debit. So obviously there was no problem with my payment method as Planet claims. This is a scheme.

I have now canceled my membership and will never return and never recommend this ** place. I still can't access the facility's even though I have paid $37 for my first month. What a great way to treat a new customer! I will do a charge back since I have been denied use of the facility's since I signed up even though Planet accepted my money and refuses to refund me, what a rip off. I will be filing complaints with all consumer agencies I can find both State and Federal. All this ** had to do is grant me access and waive the late fee but Planet refused to do either. I'm not going to allow Planet to charge me a ridiculous late fee every month on an auto debit. Corporate ripoff.

Original review: May 31, 2019

If you have done any reviewing of Planet Fitness, hopefully it was evident that you need to physically go cancel your membership or send a certified letter to your "home location." That should be enough of a red flag there. But just case you think you are willing to do that and take that risk know this. They charge a yearly fee on your membership, on top of charging you monthly. Well if you don't cancel in time of that yearly fee, they will still charge you that yearly fee! Isn't that great! It's not. Just do yourself a favor and do not join this gym. I REPEAT, DON'T DO IT!

Original review: May 30, 2019

My experience to visit the facility was horrible and I would NEVER EVER become a member. This was the Planet Fitness at 3200 Pennsylvania Ave. SE Washington DC. I went for a tour and the representative asked me for A LOT of personal information such as to see my drivers license which he typed all of the my info into their system for a profile; also my email address, phone number and also to stand in front of a camera to for a photo and I would have also had to sign a waiver. This is all before I could even take a tour of the facility. I was waiting for him to say next “bend over and cough....”

I asked why they needed all of this informations and I was told that they needed to know everyone in the building. I think that this experience was the worst that I have had at a gym EVER. It was horrible and just one step short of a “pat down” before taking a tour. I don’t like feeling like I’m being interrogated just to take a tour to see if I even like the establishment at all and maybe decide to spend my money there. This speaks volumes to me about how future experiences would be for me. I would rather pay more than double at another gym than to feel like going through TSA at the Airport.

Original review: May 28, 2019

Absolutely no leniency when it comes to cancelling a membership. My annual membership renews on the the 1st of June and I cancelled on May 28th. Apparently the club requires notification by the 25th of May to avoid being charged. The manager on site would not budge nor would she provide any contact to escalate the issue. Apparently taking $31 was more important that doing the right thing. I will not re-join this franchise ever again and will encourage others to avoid it as well.

Original review: May 24, 2019

I was assuming that that the 'start up fee' and 'annual membership fee' were the same thing. So I just joined thinking the $50.09 Start Up Fee I was charged was also covering the first year's Annual Fee. That was a totally wrong! I'm now seeing I'll be billed the $39 Annual Fee in about a month. So total cost for one year is $50 + 39 + (12 * 10) = $209. That is more like $17 a month. Rotten trick they played on me. I was misled about how these fees work. If this was an more honorable and upfront organization then I would have seen it spelled out in big bold font that the cost for the first year would be $209. Sigh... I was tricked. The membership contract is in EXTREMELY small print. You need a magnifying glass to read it! Very few people will have the patience or willingness to read through it. I think it’s designed to prevent you from fully realizing what you’ve signed up for.

Here is the cancellation policy: "To cancel your monthly membership and stop the billing of the Monthly Membership Fee on or around the 17th of the month, the club must receive written notification delivered to the club by the 10th of the month either in person or preferably via certified mail to the club address listed above. Please note it may take up to seven (7) business days for any membership or billing changes to take effect. In order to cancel your membership prior to the billing of the Annual Membership Fee, the club requires written notice delivered as described above no later than the 25th of the month before such billing. The Annual Membership Fee is fully earned when received and is non-refundable".

I'm still trying to figure out precisely what window of time I have to deliver this cancellation notification (should I want to cancel). I think it’s designed to be complicated and confounding to discourage and prevent cancellations. Another item from the contract: "In accordance with applicable law, if our first attempt to collect any fee under this Agreement is unsuccessful, we may make additional attempts to collect from any/all payment methods you provide us, and a $15 service fee will be applied for each instance we submit or re-submit such payment request and it is returned uncollectable for any reason including, but not limited to, insufficient funds, expired or cancelled payment cards, overdrafts and closed accounts. We are not liable for any fees charged by your financial institution in the event a payment request is returned as uncollectable."

I think this means if your bank account is overdrawn then PF can recklessly continue to collect over and over again, as many as many times as possible, increasing your balance due by another $15 dollars each time. PF does NOT allow you to pay for a year in advance. I'll bet the reason is to give PF the opportunity to hit you up with these late penalties. I'll bet a significant portion of their revenue is from this late fee collection scheme. I've been a member of other health clubs over the years and have never seen this type of policy before.

Bottom line is I’m not giving this organization any benefit of the doubt when it comes to trying to get my money. I’ve taken some precautions such as paying with a bank account I set up just for these membership fees (Simple bank) and paying with a ‘Virtual’ credit card account. I set these accounts up as insurance to prevent PF from continuing to take money from me if I ever cancel. I will have to be vigilant to watch the activity of these accounts to make sure they used to pay for what I agreed to pay for. I will also have to make sure they are never overdrawn or I’ll get hit with the sneaky late fees.

Original review: May 24, 2019

The Planet Fitness in Corsicana Texas needs to get with the program. They need a computer system to let you check in to do the massage beds and chairs. All they have are clipboards with sign in papers. Well myself and a friend signed up to both do the massage beds. We both wrote down a time 6:45 pm. Well we were sitting on the couch waiting and never had our turn. So I asked about the purpose of selecting a time and they really couldn’t answer me with a real answer. Then come to find out a guy who didn’t even have a black card membership was the one who took up one of the beds. Then when I did get to go I didn’t even get my full ten min in the bed. I think they did it on purpose because I was mad and pitching a fit.

Original review: May 23, 2019

I got charged on my mothers card and I never gave it. I had my IBC account and I've been calling for my refund cuz that was bill money and they told me to call back within the hr and I did but to my surprise ** told me her manager just walked out. I cant stand being lied to. Never go to the one in 400 W Calton Rd, Laredo TX 78041. I cancelled my membership and was told I was good to go and they kept charging me to the point my IBC account was at a negative -198.99!!!! If they dont get me my money I just plan to sue them!!!! Not worth the time.

Original review: May 22, 2019

I came back in Feb/19 to update my card information and they did the process and they said everything was fine. And then from APRIL and May they been charging me late fees for the location staff fault. I never received a apology from them nor, "I understand. Let see what I can do." Worst customer service ever.

Original review: May 21, 2019

Been a PAYING member for 2-1/2 years and beyond frustrated. The “teens for free” is a good idea, but the implementation is all wrong. It should be during specific hours because let me tell you, most of them are VERY inconsiderate and stay 3 teens to a machine - talking, texting and not even working out. Not fair what-so-ever to long term paying members who care and want to workout. Canceling membership ASAP.

Original review: May 18, 2019

I’ve been going to the Peekskill gym for 15 years. The air conditioning is never working. I complained in the survey. They canceled my membership. I am devastated. I can’t over constructive criticism??

Original review: May 15, 2019

Updated on 05/15/2019: I wrote a review earlier today about having problems with the Conway, AR Planet Fitness not canceling my membership after I have repeatedly requested it to be cancelled both via phone and in person. I called the corporate headquarters in Hampton, NH and they gave me the run around. Said that each Planet Fitness is independently owned and they could not help me, that I would have to deal with Conway Planet Fitness and that they are not responsible for their (Conway) policies or their staff or management’s actions.

Original Review: I have been trying to cancel my account for 4 months and they keep billing me. This morning they told me that even though I called to say I was cancelling and then dropped by and told them, that I failed to sign a cancellation form. Well guess what? They didn’t give me a cancellation form to sign. I haven’t been to the gym in several months because my father became ill and then passed away. I am so sick of having to deal with the ignorant staff that work at the front desk. It is their fault my account wasn’t cancelled back in February. And now they are billing me another month!!! Because I didn’t cancel by the 10th... in person and didn’t sign a cancellation form. They did not give me one to sign and I am the one who is being penalized for it.

This is 4 months I have been trying to cancel and I did go in and cancel in person. This morning they said that I didn’t turn in my card and that was why they hadn’t canceled my account. No one asked me for the card. One excuse after another why they keep taking money out of my checking account. I talked to my bank this morning and the person I talked to informed me that that is why they don’t accept debit or credit cards and only accept checking account information, because they can get by with continually taking money out of your account. Sneaky SOBs.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I just Left this place and they tried to tell me that I needed two forms of payment. I have never heard of anything like this in my life, I am so glad that I came to this place to read the reviews and then they proceeded to tell me that if I didn’t have two forms of payment for my first down payment that I could not join the gym. Now I see why by reading these reviews. I am so glad that I did not join this gym. They are a rip off. These people are really trying to ruin people’s life.

The guy told me that I could cancel at any time but I really didn’t believe him. I know that if I try to cancel now by reading these reviews that I couldn’t and if I did give him two forms of payment that if I tried to cancel it and take them off of my bank account they would only charge off the other bank account. Thank you guys for your reviews. I’m so glad that I made the decision to walk out and the lady upfront was really rude telling me that I had to use two forms of payment or that I could not join her gym. Well guess what I’m glad that I didn’t join your gym and I hope other people realize and see that you guys are scams.

Original review: May 13, 2019

They are total harrassing and throwing a 65 year old out before she's done showering cuz my daughter left to go to the store but she was having car trouble and couldn't come back cuz their policy is which stinks that her guest which I am her mother. She my daughter has to be there while I'm showering that is so ridiculous... I'm putting their name out to every newspaper out there. No one will go to them...only Lakeworth and Forest Hill gym harrassed a 65 year old...that's disgusting. I couldnt finish showering or they would call police on me.. I'm reporting them all the way... Rude gym both...

Original review: May 9, 2019

I joined Planet Fitness in October 2018. I frequent the one in Columbus, GA on Manchester Expressway. They have plenty of machines so wait times are minimal to nonexistent. My only complaint is the music. They tend to play rap and hip hop music with lyrics that are demeaning to women or just offensive. It seems like they would play music more pleasing to their customers many of which seem to over 45-50 years old. I have spoken to several members close to my age and they dislike the music as well. I have also mentioned this to the employees. I believe the employees there play what they like rather than focusing on their customers and what they would like to hear.

Original review: May 7, 2019

This horrific incident occurred Friday, April 12th, 2019 at the 25 Broadway (Wall St) location approximately 2:05 pm. After my workout, I came to the locker room to shower before I returned to work. Once I placed my soiled clothes in my bag I closed my locker and immediately realized that I forgot my key on the top shelf. There was a young woman who was leaving the locker room who I stopped and asked to have someone come downstairs to cut my lock. I took a quick shower and waited near my locker for assistance. The young lady returned, said she explained to the man (**) at the front desk that I needed help and didn't have clothes on. He told her that I needed to complete the paperwork upstairs and the front desk and get the clippers (plain site of people on the street and those checking in).

I walked passed the weight area to hear laughing and seeing people gesturing to each other to look at me. I then had to walk past the cardio area, then upstairs to the front desk. I ask for the clippers and was told he couldn't give them to me, that I had to complete paperwork and wait for another employee to return from lunch so that he could clip the lock. I ask, "Then I am I up here?" He responded that was procedure. It was humiliating to be seen by so many people wearing only a towel and flip flops. I've never experienced this anywhere. I had this same scenario about 6 years ago at the Jamaica (Metropolitan) location and someone came to me while I remained in the bathroom, hidden from the public.

Despite having my severe insecurities about my body I mustered every ounce of dignity that I had to expose myself. As I type this to you in in tears. This should not have taken place. I have yet to hear from there management office. Someone from their social media account reached out to me only because I placed the incident on a Google review. I gave the person (Paul) all of my information he claims someone called me and send an email... Yet I received nothing. I confirmed my contact information again and still no response.

Planet Fitness expert review by Joey Thurman

Founded in 1994, Planet Fitness is an American gym that expanded into a franchise operation in 2003. Franchisees operate over 1,200 locations across the United States and are currently expanding into Canada and the Dominican Republic. Planet Fitness offers a full array of exercise machines, and many locations offer a selection of fitness classes.

• PF 30-minute Express Circuit: Planet Fitness makes it easy for patrons to complete a full cardio and strength training circuit in half an hour, using ten strength machines and ten cardio machines. A red-light, green-light system alerts those on the circuit when to switch machines.

• $10 membership: Planet Fitness offers a no-commitment $10/month membership option. It includes a T-shirt, unlimited access to one Planet Fitness club and unlimited access to training.

• Black Card membership: Planet Fitness’ Black Card membership is ideal for those who want more than just a basic gym membership. In addition to the benefits of a $10 membership, Black Card members enjoy use of all Planet Fitness franchise locations, unlimited tanning, half price drinks and many more benefits for about $20 a month.

• Free pe@pf service: Planet Fitness offers a program called pe@pf, which offers the benefits of a grown-up physical education course. Certified trainers will educate you on fitness equipment and routines and help you set goals appropriate for your current fitness level.

• Member perks: Every member can participate in Pizza Mondays and Bagel Tuesdays.

• Best for: fitness beginners and those who need a supportive gym environment.

Profile picture of Joey Thurman
Joey Thurman Fitness and Nutrition Expert

Joey Thurman is a nationally recognized and spin certified health, fitness, nutrition expert and television host He is the author of "365 Health and Fitness Hacks That Could Save Your Life." His work has been featured in publications such as Men’s Health, U.S. News and World Report, NPR, People Magazine, Shape, NY Post, Fitness Magazine, ‪Women's Health and many more.

Planet Fitness Company Information