1.68/5

969 Planet Fitness Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 25, 2019

Joined the Harlem location in February 22. It hadn't been 2 months and they took money out of my account literally 9 times. Every other week I was being charged different amounts 38$, 55$ 37$. Yet my monthly bill was paid AND the yearly fee!!! So WHY was I being charged every other week. I went to my bank. Filled out a form for fraudulent activities which the bank person did agree was suspicious activity! I had to put a stop from them going into my account. Then trying to speak to a manager in person was impossible!!! It's so sad because I enjoyed going. But not at the cost of literally being ROBBED of EVERY DIME I HAD!!!! I'm going to cancel my membership and pray they actually cancel it. How the hell are these people getting away with this????

Original review: April 24, 2019

Started 3/2014 - stopped 4/2015. They took another 56 months of money plus yearly fees. Over $8000 dollars. When I stopped it in 2015 they wrote down my information and said it was taken care of. They dropped the ball and now say it's my fault and my problem. I gave them two out. 1. Refund the difference in money. 2. Comp me and my wife for the time. We could have used if we knew we had a membership. They said no to both. Great customer service (NOT). So now I'm contacting A.G. Washington state, BBS and anyone who will listen.

Get expert buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 22, 2019

A day ago. I didn't even want to give this 1 star as it deserves 00000000000000000000000000000000000000. Today myself and my fiancé were working out in front of the curling bar rack... I was using the 20 lbs for bicep curls and he the 55lbs. We would place them back then the other would start again and a woman walked in front of us and took the 55 lbs and went to her area and set it down... She then walked over to the front desk to ** with Loren the employee.

So my fiancé approached her and said, "Hey I'm using that." I went up to her and she put her hand in my face saying stop so I wouldn't converse with Loren. My fiancé tossed the weight back to her in her area and of course they said it was dangerous. This animal said my fiancé racked it back so she could take it (meaning her right). Holy ** she obviously has no class and clearly was watching us work out. This tool Matt the manager later sent my fiancé an email canceling his membership! Talk about classless... not even a phone call. I called to explain this and ask if we could go to Rocky Hill and Matt said "no" but you can go! Lol like I'm gonna workout without my fiancé! This faculty is A JUDGEMENT ZONE FOR SURE!!! Pathetic, pitiful reason to cancel a member who was working out and was interrupted by a classless woman... um animal.

"We appreciate you following up, Diane, your husband's membership was cancelled in order to mitigate any behavior that could lead up to confrontation in our clubs. However, we can appreciate that there were events that led up to this involving multiple parties, and we will certainly be looking into doing what we can to make sure people that provoke antagonizing situations are dealt with accordingly. Thank you for your time, and have a good one! Paul" Paul is the other tool that has no professionalism to handle the public. If it’s a no judgmental zone they certainly judged my fiancé based on us very calmly taking the weight back.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I canceled my membership in April 2018 at the site. I spoke to the front desk person and gave back my access token. However, Planet Fitness has continued to bill me every month even when I have called to say I had canceled my membership. I called again today and spoke with a manager who basically said, "Well, we don't have any paperwork that says you canceled," even though on the paperwork it gives the last date I was in the facility. So basically they have ripped me off for over $200 and I have no recourse and obviously doesn't matter to them. Be very wary about their processes and make sure they give you something in writing or in an email right then and there and not rely on "an email will be forwarded to you." Poor business practices.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I was hurt at the Planet Fitness in Garden City Michigan. All I wanted was for them to remedy the unsafe condition, which they did, and pay for my co-pay because I went to get checked out of the hospital. Since then I’ve had nothing but “the runaround” from them. I sent a copy of my bill & proof of payment and offered to send discharge papers but I refuse to sign the extensive medical release that they are requiring for things that have nothing to do with this current injury. So, I am out the co-pay and they get to continue their shady business practices.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Planet Fitness?

Original review: April 11, 2019

SENT TO COLLECTIONS FOR A COMPUTER GLITCH ON PAID ACCOUNT!!! Denied entry from a computer glitch! Member 5 years. Poor customer service. "8 people around checking in" and this red-headed employee said "your account is in collections (out loud)" which makes anyone look like a deadbeat. The manager acknowledged it was a glitch as there were two accounts for which there was no reason and they were paid up and could not explain the error.

No apology for the other staff telling me I could not enter. Beth, the manager, said "It shows two accounts and I don't know why it shows two for the same person... and I don't have access to change it, sorry." She did not offer to call her manager, simply said "we're supposed to deny entry if there is an account problem which in this case is apparently a glitch." No apology, just "sorry you cannot enter" by a red-headed staff member on 04/09/19 around 12 pm.

None of the staff were educated on customer service to simply "try" to call a manager. It's really training based. The facility is fine, just the front staff do not seem to have training beyond scanning your card. I got a blocked from my own gym and I'm paid up direct draft for years and embarrassed in front of several others implying I was delinquent. They could not explain. BUT they also said "we can't do nothin', we're not authorized"... They could have said they'd contact corporate or something. Really stunned at the lack of enthusiasm to solve the issue. I will be cancelling my membership.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I signed up for a $10/month membership at Planet Fitness in Loves Park, IL in February 2019. I grilled the employee who helped me to ensure that there were no hidden fees. I read every single word of the contract on the screen. It included the phrase “if your membership has an annual fee.” It did not state that there is an annual fee. It did not state that $39 will be charged to my account every year. The employee swore that I would not be charged any fees beyond the $1 down plus $10/month. He also insisted that he had no way to print a copy of the contract.

Last week I had a $39 charge from Planet Fitness on my account. I immediately called the local PF gym. A manager told me it was an annual fee. She had no explanation for why it was not in the contract I signed. She blamed “Jordan, who is no longer employed here” for telling me that there would be no annual fee. I gave up after she blamed an employee who was likely hired and trained by her! I contacted the company directly to explain the problem and ask for a copy of my contract.

It took almost a week before someone at corporate got Brianna (the local manager) to send me the contract! I was shocked to open the document and find my digital signature on a document very much unlike what I had been presented to read and sign on screen at PF. This version clearly states that $39 will be charged every year in April! Had the company been honest, I probably would have signed up anyway. Bait-and-switch is not an acceptable way to do business. Had I been a young, part-time/low-wage worker like those in PF’s target demographic, the unexpected charge could easily have overdrawn my account. Do not trust Planet Fitness.

Original review: April 5, 2019

This place will not cancel my membership that is not even on my name! They charge me every month! Someone else is using my card without my authorization and Planet Fitness refuses to cancel the membership! Think twice before become a member of this disgusting place with disgusting customer service!

Original review: March 23, 2019

Deplorable Customer Service, incompetent management Speaking about TJ the manager with the green hair. She is really RUDE, CRUDE and INCOMPETENT. Several members don't like her and she has only been there a few months. She has no customer service skills. I was scammed on my account. The DM, Rebecca ** also lacks customer service skills as well as the owner @ Marathon and I believe his name is Mr. **.

On 3/19/19 I had asked TJ, the RUDE GM lacking knowledge for tanning bed 1 or 3 and she stated, "You will get bed. 2." And I told her she is really RUDE, CRUDE and INCOMPETENT. I got home and she cancelled my membership for being rude as they already don't have enough members. Corporate office also could care less because the gyms are all franchised. The Attorney General in Ohio will tell the proper contacts as I did file a complaint concerning Planet Fitness of Copley as they practice unethical business practices. Why would I care about Planet Fitness cancelling me as I am at a great gym for $20 a month and they offer much more and Yoga Balls too. IF YOU DONT TAKE CARE OF YOUR CUSTOMER, SOMEONE ELSE WILL! I DO NOT RECOMMEND PLANET FITNESS. They treat their members like CRAP.

Original review: March 22, 2019

After moving out-of-state, I wanted to cancel my PF membership. I call the location to find out they refuse to cancel over the phone, it must be in writing, so I sent the cancellation letter in the mail. I then called my bank and put a stop payment on the $10 Planet Fitness charge just in case they did not honor my request. Sure enough, they attempted to charge my account the next month, but the charge was sent back. Success, or so I thought..

Two months later, I notice a $20 charge from Planet Fitness on a different account, then looking through my past transactions, I noticed another $20 charge from the previous month! I reported the unauthorized charges to my card issuer, and had to cancel the related card. Everything is fine when you're paying your monthly dues and not rocking the boat, but as soon as you want to cancel your membership, they will do everything in their power, no matter how unethical, to continue charging their monthly fee. Or in my case, they will not only continue to charge you, but charge you MORE once you try to leave.

Original review: March 22, 2019

This gym is inexpensive, it’s extremely clean, the equipment is fantastic and I can bring my husband for no additional charge. The staff is friendly and they have a lot of cardio equipment. This makes it easy to spread out! Their 30 min circuit is a great total body workout. I’ve seen a lot of negative reports on here but our experience has been great!

Original review: March 18, 2019

This club is all about the money and fees and not about customer service. Beware of any fitness club that will only debit your checking account. (They do this because it is much harder to get $ back and it is a direct line to your funds once you approve it.) Credit card companies help you when you need to challenge a charge on your account. My personal experience comes from trying to cancel my membership online or over the phone and I could not. You have to go in to do it. I was out of town and went in as soon as I got back and learned that my account had been tapped for a $39 annual fee.

This fee is not one they say anything about in the new club sales pitch. They do tell you about the $1 sign up to fee to get you to join and the "only $10" a month. I had not been using the facility for months and when I talked both to corporate and the local club, neither would return my fee. Oh by the way, the yearly charge comes with no pre email or notice alerting you to the fact that the fee is coming out. The company is not concerned with a customer leaving happy/satisfied and maybe returning at some point. The bottom line, there must be some other options out there.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Be honest. I like Planet Fitness. When I had sign up I thought I was going to pay $10.00 every month, But when they had told me that I have to pay the annual year 0f $39.00. I have to cancel my membership. The worker that had sign me up he had not told me of that part.

Original review: March 15, 2019

This company preys on people with a contract that appears to be for one year but automatically bills after the year is up. They don't allow cancellations over the phone and keep billing unless the member appears in person. There are clubs with fair pricing and ethical behavior out there... This is not one of them!

Original review: March 14, 2019

I decided to go to a new location to work out and after 5 weeks of going to a new location I was told by the front desk that I only pay for a single location, I then show him how I have been charged $25.70 since I started coming here and that I only have 30 min. to work out. At that point the manager Katherine told me I couldn’t work out that I needed to go with her to check my account. I asked her if I could please work out and then I would review my account t with her. She said, "No!" I think the fact that I am a customer whether from that location or not I was not treated nice at all. They do not know what they’re doing cause after 4 weeks of going to this new location they tell me I couldn’t go. She’s not a good manager and someone needs to give her a class on how to treat customers.

Original review: March 8, 2019

This place is a RIP off! Offers sound good, however, they tie you to their ridiculous automatic billing, so they can take funds out of your account continuously, even when you try to cancel the membership. This place gives gyms a bad name! They continue to charge accounts for payment, even after you've asked to cancel the membership. Better off getting a YMCA membership, with a forthcoming company who does not play games with the consumer's money. SHAME ON PLANET FITNESS!! FRAUDS...

Original review: March 6, 2019

I signed up over the app after seeing the "no commitment" advertisement they had. I signed up in January of 2018 and paid the $40 yearly fee. I was charged with the $40 fee again in March because this is their billing cycle. I tried to cancel in March, but was told I had to pay the cancellation fee of $60. If you look at the very bottom of the advertisement of "no commitment," it states "commitment fee may apply." Ha. This would be hilarious if it didn't cost me. I said whatever, that's fine. After doing my taxes in January of 2019, I realized they never actually canceled me. I had been paying $10 a month.

I submitted an Attorney General complaint requesting they charge me the $60 cancel fee, but reimburse me the difference of the $90 I had paid from March to January for the monthly fees. Never heard back. I went in to cancel January 21st, as I had signed up January 18th and it had now been a year, to cancel without paying the cancellation fee. Immediately I was greeted by name by the front desk employee, which is probably because they recognized it from the complaint. He filled out the paper until he got to my reason for canceling and told me there would be a cancellation fee. I told him it had been a year, he told me it lags behind a month so I'd have to return between February 18th and March 18th. This was a huge inconvenience, this store location is so far from me and they don't let you cancel over the phone. But I had no choice and walked out.

On March 1st, I was charged with another $40 yearly fee. I called in wanting to know why, and explained I had until March 18th to cancel. I was told this is incorrect, and I had to cancel after January 18th. I explained that I tried to, and gave a full description of the employee that told me this. The man on the phone recognized this description but still told me it wasn't refundable. I was locked in for another year, despite trying to cancel three times, and I haven't even used this gym for 12 months now. I blocked these charges with my bank and will hire a lawyer if needed. Do NOT sign up with Planet Fitness. Pay the extra money for a more reputable gym who won't lock you in forever with them, refuse to cancel, and charge you fees for no reason without warning!

Original review: March 4, 2019

The website is ridiculous and not user friendly. I had ended my gym membership and on the very same day was charged $43 for an annual fee??? I was told by the local club to contact corporate and by corporate to contact the local club. I’m not getting that money back. This place is a joke! Don’t waste your money! Very immoral business practices.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

Midweek around Feb 25th or so I left my wallet in the bottom of my locker. I went back about 3 hrs later advising the desk what had happened and then went back to the locker where I had left the wallet. It was in use. I went back several times during the day and could not get access to it. Over the weekend someone turned it in. When I picked it up the desk person said there was no money in it which was no surprise to me. Everything else was there but I had to cancel my credit cards, VA Health Card, Retired Military ID and so forth. On Monday I went to work out. A different desk person started apologizing to me saying I should have looked in "the box" meaning the box where stuff left behind is thrown. I took this to mean that this was something she was supposed to do but didn't.

No one knows who left it at the desk or when. Basically, it was left in the box where for 48 hours anyone work had access to it. Another desk person told me a few days earlier when I went in around 8:30 pm to check if it had been found, he didn't seem to know anything about it but said if it had been turned in it would have been put in the safe but he didn't have access to it. Apparently, management does not trust her subordinates. That situation raises the question if it was turned in on an evening or midnight shift what is the employee supposed to do with it? It makes no sense to me.

Something like a wallet should be handled much differently than a missing comb, gloves or sneakers...but apparently not. Someone had to be working when it was turned in but no one knew anything. There was no log, no chain of custody. The manager could have checked the security cameras and MAYBE picked up on something. The timeframe of events was not all weeks...just a few days.

I was very upset and left a non-threatening poster in the men's locker room. Basically, I thanked the "thief" for turning it in but added if they needed the $80 to feed their family or a domestic animal, I'd have gladly given it to them. I suggested that he cancel his membership and go elsewhere. On Feb. 27th I received an email with the cancellation form attached saying I had violated policy. So the victim was kicked out and the thief is still a member. Go figure!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

I have been going to this branch for 6 months and never have I been asked for eyewear when I go tanning. It is rare when I go tanning, but I am upset to have been refused a service that I pay for due to the fact that I didn’t have protective eyewear. If they are going to require protective eyewear when tanning, they should have sanitized eyewear for the public. NOT REFUSE A SERVICE THAT I PAY FOR.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

First and foremost Planet Fitness advertises "No Judgement" and that is the first thing they do when you walk in the door is judge 'Lunks' and call them out in front of everyone like a big bully. They are only working out to their full potential and you knock them. There was never enough cardio equipment for the members. There is room to add more but they don't. Very poor excuse for a gym.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I was going to PF in Bronx NY and in 2015 I cancelled my membership there. My personal account confirms - cancelled. Years later, I found that PF still charging me. I called to my facility and they told me that they transferred me to some other facility. I asked them how could it be if I cancelled my account years ago and even online it states that it is cancelled. They told me to call to that facility where "apparently" my membership is (have to mention it's in the whole another state). So I called there, and Amanda that presented herself as a general manager of that facility said next: “You're not our customer because you never visit us. Yes, your membership is here and we charging you every month. No we will not cancel your membership because you never been here and you're not out client. In order to cancel your membership you have to come here.”

I asked her on what ground I have to pay for it if I'm not their client and I never been there. She said it's not her problem and I can go and ** myself. It was most disgusting experience in my life. I would never never recommend anyone Blackrock CT Planet Fitness, and definitely would suggest anyone to stay away from that network in general. I live in another state and they still charging me. Our corp lawyer will file paperwork in the court this month and I hope it will resolve the issue including charges and cover my stress.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

Nice gym, shady management. When I got ready to cancel my membership not only did they charge me $64 for canceling but an hour later charged me for the next month. Now I'm gonna have to go to the bank to get these thieving **'s out of my bank account.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I am really tired of this gym. A dog could manage this location. It is located by a Safeway store. The property must be valued @ $2,000,000. Their equipment is very good. The only problem is that they are lazy & don't do anything to encourage more members. I never see them on the floor cleaning equipment or helps customers learn to run the machines. The only reason why I don't go to another place is that they have a hand bicycle which is very good. They overwhelm me with their lack of interest in helping people or letting people do their own thing there.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I go to this gym on my days off from work. It's a little out of my way but, it's worth it. The staff and members are friendly and helpful. The establishment is very clean. The staff is always wiping or dusting something. Maybe this is why this location is always busy.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Why is there a ** man doing personal training without a certificate or affiliated with Planet Fitness and taken people money in Planet Fitness establishment exchanging on the floor and the manager not saying nothing. I see it every day. He is jumping from member to member to a point of harassing. Twelve Oaks 7310 W Waters Tampa, FL.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

It's great that you give promotions. But me as a disabled veteran I go to the one in the Bronx (2914 3rd Avenue). Escalators never operate, there no hand sanitizer on the wall plus no towel paper in the bathroom. But disabled veterans that go there have to pay for this service, is the closest place we have. Can you please help. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Fiance and I have been denied gym access since Sept 2018 on 2 open active gym contracts. PF even renewed my annual contract Feb 1st after denying us gym access Sept to Feb, denied me gym access again on Feb 3rd post-renewal. After paying $175 the past 7 weeks, we are still turned away at gyms cross-country and our contract with them isn't honored. PF doesn't want active gym goers. They will do whatever they can to turn you off going to gym but keep you enslaved in the annual contract.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I started my Black membership in May of 2018 only because I was told it was a noncommitment month. Today I went in to cancel and was told that Black membership's only have like 3 days out of the year that there is no commitment and when I signed up was not one of those months. I was completely scammed by them and after talking with the manager ** who was no help at all and who could care less I will never recommend anyone there. The location is 4315 South Florida Ave, Lakeland Fl.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

First of all, it says dollar down to join then you get to check out and it’s more than the gym membership is worth. Secondly they OVERCHARGE without consent or permission. I cancelled my membership to join another gym closer to my house, here they kept charging me monthly from my bank account which my account was linked to my Capital One credit card so how they even got my information baffles me. And then when I got a call from their billing department they said I was past due on my account when I CANCELLED!! So I had to make a special trip back to gym and re cancel the damn membership. Here they charged me 70 dollars to cancel and then three 25.00 final dispute... Like not once but three times!! Which is well over $120 when I had given consent again for the $70 to be done with this horrible establishment.

So they are fraud as hell shady as ** and their employees are as stupid as they come not to mention not “gym” material to be given gym advice. If you're like 500 lbs don’t tell someone who’s 150 how to work out. So this whole “joint” needs a reface because it’s clearly the worse gym ever!! It's not even worth the one star I gave. Judge free zone my **. SCAMMERS!!

Planet Fitness expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1994, Planet Fitness is an American gym that expanded into a franchise operation in 2003. Franchisees operate over 1,200 locations across the United States and are currently expanding into Canada and the Dominican Republic. Planet Fitness offers a full array of exercise machines, and many locations offer a selection of fitness classes.

• PF 30-minute Express Circuit: Planet Fitness makes it easy for patrons to complete a full cardio and strength training circuit in half an hour, using ten strength machines and ten cardio machines. A red-light, green-light system alerts those on the circuit when to switch machines.

• $10 membership: Planet Fitness offers a no-commitment $10/month membership option. It includes a T-shirt, unlimited access to one Planet Fitness club and unlimited access to training.

• Black Card membership: Planet Fitness’ Black Card membership is ideal for those who want more than just a basic gym membership. In addition to the benefits of a $10 membership, Black Card members enjoy use of all Planet Fitness franchise locations, unlimited tanning, half price drinks and many more benefits for about $20 a month.

• Free pe@pf service: Planet Fitness offers a program called pe@pf, which offers the benefits of a grown-up physical education course. Certified trainers will educate you on fitness equipment and routines and help you set goals appropriate for your current fitness level.

• Member perks: Every member can participate in Pizza Mondays and Bagel Tuesdays.

• Best for: fitness beginners and those who need a supportive gym environment.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs