Planet Fitness

Compare Gyms and Fitness Centers

Research top Gyms and Fitness Centers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Don't trust them! A month after signing up for what appeared like a good deal $10 per month. You can't go wrong, right? Well you can. They charge you another $40 dollars in February. This wasn't explained during the sign up and is non-refundable. So even quitting immediately does not get your money back.

Ok - so I've read through several of the complaints on this forum, and I can say that the MAJORITY are from people simply not reading what they are signing up for. The website very clearly states that guests cannot use the black card spa amenities. It also clearly states that you will be billed for the annual fee and when. They don't charge you after a year... They charge you about a month after you sign up. Your $10/month membership fee comes out of your account, regardless if you go to the gym that month or not. It's a recurring payment.

Dealing with cranky employees and problems with billing terminations are legitimate complaints, but some of the reviewers have obviously never been to a gym prior to PF. You run into the same typical gym issues everywhere. Yea, some people don't follow "gym etiquette" and don't wipe down the machines, but that is not specific to PF.

I go to the PF in Glen Burnie, MD. I like that gym because it's not as packed as some gyms in the area. I've been a member at 2 other major gyms (and paid about $40/month!), but this membership works PERFECTLY for me. I don't need the "extras" that come with the bigger gyms. I just need to go to the gym, do cardio, do weights, and go home. That's it. And that's what I get at PF, so it works for me. And I'm saving $30/month doing it at PF. I have not run into any problems with the staff. Everyone seems pleasant enough.

I like the atmosphere at PF. It's nice to see people there just with the goal of being healthy. I will say that the Lunk Alarm is pretty darn annoying. It's LOUD and very distracting. I personally don't care if someone is grunting or accidentally drops a weight. Come on. If you're THAT offended by gym behavior, you should probably toughen up. PF is so against bullying, that their anti-bullying comes off as bullying against people who might already be in good shape. I will also mention that the stupid Lunk Alarm only goes off maybe once during my workout, so it's not a huge deal, and is certainly not enough to drive me away. It's just an annoyance. Overall I am happy with this gym. It's what I need.

I took my son, who goes to college out of the area to the Horseheads, NY facility near our home to start a membership for him. So that he can work out when he comes home on breaks. I told the staff member that I will be paying for the membership and signed authorization to have my bank account debited for my son's membership. Instead of applying my son's membership to my bank account, the staff applied my son's membership to my son's bank account. Which they had on file from a previous closed membership. This caused a debit with overdraft fees.

I contacted the club. And the manager Travis suggested that my signature authorized them to debit my adult son's account -- because I am his mother. Travis told me he would refund the fees if I would bring in proof of said fees. Needless to say, he conveniently disappeared when I returned with the proof. He apparently left the village idiot (I don't hear nothing, I don't see nothing, I don't know nothing) in charge of the shop. I contacted the regional manager Luke ** via email. He was less than helpful. I contacted attorney general office. Billing complaints are not uncommon for this specific business.

We've been faithful members of Planet Fitness for four years. Recently we were relocated for our job. I went into store to cancel on Feb 10th. They charged my card $39.99 for yearly maintenance fee on Feb 1st. I asked them to reimburse. They would not even though I was moving and wouldn't be able to use gym. I can't stand it when companies stick it to use like that!

We joined Planet Fitness Hixson, TN in September of 2016. I have enjoyed my experience every time I go. The folks at the front desk always greet me with a smile when I check in; they always tell me to have a good night when I leave. There are always plenty of weight and cardio machines, even at peak times. I recently noticed that the weight machines had been re-upholstered. The one time there was an issue with another patron using the machines in the circuit areas for too long (and so incorrectly it looked like he was hurting himself), and not wiping them down, I mentioned him to the front desk on my way out and they were very nice in assuring me they'd take care of it. I haven't seen him there again (but maybe that's because our workout times don't coincide). I find the bathrooms always clean, and the one time I used the showers, it was pleasant.

Just two days ago I took a fitness class there. It was a half-hour class for FREE. The class had 5 spots available, but since I was the only one signed up, it was like having a personal trainer. The class consisted of the trainer leading me through rounds of exercises focused on a power tower. It was very vigorous - so much, in fact, that I might have pushed myself too hard and wasn't able to complete the 30 minutes. But I enjoyed what I was able to do so much that I am going back again tonight. My membership is the $10/mo. option. I highly recommend it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Planet Fitness?

I want to share my horrible experience with Planet Fitness. I have been calling my location in Wilmington, DE for about a week to speak with a manager in regards to canceling my account. Since I have signed up, my father has been deathly sick and he is on hospice and I have had to move suddenly to Smyrna, DE to take care of him.

I was not able to contact a manager, and no one has returned any of my calls. I was forced to leave my father's side and drive 45 mins to Wilmington to cancel a gym membership to avoid any further charges to my account which I did yesterday. I was told by the gentleman who processed my cancellation that I would not have any further charges to my account because I canceled before the first of February.

Today, however, I was charged $40.00 and my account was overdrafted an additional $35.00. I called to speak with a manager yet again, and this time I was informed there is not a manager currently because they were fired. I asked if there is someone who is in charge, and Shakina informed me there is not someone I can speak to who is in charge. I explained my situation hoping to have assistance from her, since the branch made the mistake whether it was in the information they provided me with or not taking my bank card off of auto charge. Either way it was a mistake on their end. She said she could not assist me with it. I asked who I would need to speak with and she stated corporate and that I needed to look up the phone number because she couldn't get it for me.

After looking through the Planet Fitness website and google searching for 15 minutes, I was able to find the corporate number that I needed to call. I prompted #2 for a billing issue and was connected to Adam (who states he could not give me his last name). He informed me that there is nothing they could do for a complaint about a billing issue and told me to call the branch back. I informed him there is no manager, and he said that there is nothing he could help me with. I then asked to speak with his manager or a regional manager that I could get the assistance I needed, and he would not put me through to a manager!!!

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON WITH YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE?! This is terrible and completely unacceptable!!! I am shocked, and I am ashamed to have referred anybody to you guys! Because of my recommendation since I started there, my boyfriend switched from Retro Fitness and signed up, as well as a coworker. My cousin was also thinking about switching gyms, but I think I will have to let everyone know about this terrible experience. I myself have continued to pay for this membership for months without much use at all, and even planned to come back after my personal issues are over with, but I have changed my mind. It's funny to me that if I wanted to make a payment, anyone would jump on hitting that button, but now that a mistake was made on your end, no one is available to help me. It has been two days and I have not heard back from ANYONE.

It's like every couple month they take the fee that's suppose to be once a year. I am so upset. My account was charged a extra 35$ because of this. I didn't have the money in my account because of this. Not happy at all.

I signed up a few months ago for the VIP black card and after two months I requested to cancel. I was still charged $38.00 for the annual membership crap and a cancellation fee of $58.00! The gym is in complete disarray every time I came in. Weights spread all over the place and no one returning dumbbells or curl bars. Benches spread out too and in the wrong locations. Some plate benches that were for the dumbbells are at the smith machines and vice versa. Please using benches for their aerobic stepping exercises for an HOUR. What really upset me was being charged the $38.00 annual maintenance when I was trying to cancel!

In total it cost me $136 for two months. That's $68 per month. Just me, you are not saving money with this weak so-called gym.

Opened a Black Card account on Sept 2016 at Planet Fitness on 2460 Wesley Chapel Road, Decatur, GA. Staff didn't inform me there were late fees of 10 DOLLARS and they charged me an additional 39 DOLLARS 5 months later for ANNUAL DUES!! I'm like it hasn't even been over 6 months yet and y'all taking my money. Then in order to close my account I must pay 58 DOLLARS additionally first. This gym is a big ripoff!! Stay away from Planet Fitness. Bunch of scam fees!!! TO make matters worse the staff there are GHETTO, rude and the manager is cold and uncaring. Karma will come to that gym!!!

My wife and I have recently joined the Planet Fitness in Middletown, DE and I must say it has been a very enjoyable experience. I personally like the treadmills for cardio but my wife has some back problems so she requested a trainer to get started. She was assigned to Darrin and it was a perfect fit from the very start. He started her slowly and watched her progress very carefully, advancing her routine as she progressed. I am very pleased that she is now very excited to be at her workouts at least 2 times a week. I attribute this completely to the efforts and attention to her needs provided by her trainer Darrin. He is an asset to the organization and a huge part of my wife's continuing success. Thank you.

I joined Planet Fitness in Middletown, DE in November as a Black Card member. I was unable to use the facility until December as I had to be out of town. In December I began working with Darren (trainer). I am not overly fond of exercising but was told by my doctor that it was necessary. I had joined other gyms, as well as the YMCA previously but never stuck with it as either I had to pay extra for a personal trainer or there was no one to assist me. Darren has been a godsend. He is very upbeat and encouraging. He has kept me on task by increasing my weight and number of repetitions.

I now look forward to going to Planet Fitness twice a week. I would not be there if not for Darren; I would have dropped my membership. He makes my sessions interesting and fun. We talk throughout the workout so that I don't even realize I am exercising. Three cheers for Darren for keeping me going and keeping me fit. Because of Darren I have recommended Planet Fitness to a number of my friends, as well as to my doctors.

The manager there, Grover **, is an unconscionable manager. He accused me of doing something I would never do and when I complained to the Planet Fitness head office, instead of responding back like a real man, he just cancelled my membership. Just as well, it's one of the worse run Planet Fitness around. Find a real gym in the area, one that's run by real professionals in this industry, not some flunky who's never used the equipment he so poorly maintains.

I have been a member of PF for several years. Yesterday when I go in the gal at the desk told me my file doesn't have a picture of me and she MUST take one. I said NO. She said she MUST take my picture. When I declined again, she said she would tell Management. I told her to do whatever she has to do. My question is must I allow PF to take my picture?

I've been a member of the Planet Fitness here in Rockford for quite a while and it's what you would expect out of a fairly no frills gym. Really the only complaint I have is that I wish they could get on top of their cleaning schedule a bit more. It always seems like half of the machines I hop on wind up being covered in funk from other people and I have to wipe it off myself.

I signed a contract with this co. and was advised this was a flexible contract whereby I could cancel even after the first month with no penalties. I am Zulu-speaking and unfortunately DID not understand the contract especially as it was in small print and it was overwhelming for me. I received no copy of the contract until I requested this on Friday, 20 Jan. 2017. The contract also states I produced proof of employment which is also untrue as I DID not, I was advised verbal was acceptable and again on Friday Kenny the sales consultant confirmed this to be accurate. Now when I wish to cancel I am advised I must pay a penalty fee before the contract can be canceled. I am extremely distressed as I cannot afford to make this payment. Would appreciate your comments. Thank you.

I have been a member of Planet Fitness with a black card (VIP) membership for over a year. The facility on 66th street in St. Petersburg is in good condition but all their equipment is faulty and dangerous. Also the staff is very rude and do not understand their own "no gymtimidation " manifesto. The staff is very intimidating, aggressive, rude and just plain pretentious. Also all my bag was stolen out of the locker while I was in the shower and it even had a lock. Staff was not helpful and blamed me. They are way into bullying and making fun of people who they don't perceive as being fit or strong. Staff also follows people around in the locker room. Avoid this place like the plague.

I first opened my account in Rapid City, SD and was required to move per my job. Rapid City refused to refund my membership without me paying over $50. At the time there was no Planet Fitness in Helena, MT. I moved and found out they were going to open one in Helena. I went to the trailer to discuss changing my location and they had no idea what to do but indicated they would talk to the manager who was showing on in two days and would call me back. Over a week and half passed so I called them. The lady on the phone was rude. She again did not know what to do but said "wait" while she asked someone else.

When she got back on the phone her response was "you will just have to wait till it's opened." The new location did not open as planned so I paid for a month and half of membership that I could not use. I was able to finally transfer my membership online but it said I had to wait 3-5 days before I could use the gym. I was not happy. I called the location and spoke to a gentleman who said "just come in and we will fix it" because "that's crazy." When I went in I spoke with another gentleman who had no idea what to do but said his manager would but he didn't know where she was. At the time there were 5 people behind the counter so he started talking to them.

When the manager came up, Esther **, she was rude to me from the start as I explained the conversation I had with her location. All she wanted to know was who told me to come in. The person didn't say his name. I started to get irritated and I told her about the fact that I had to pay for a membership that I couldn't use because they were not open. She said "well you can't help construction and it's not my membership." The point was I paid for services I couldn't use because they were not open. I again had to tell her that I was there to work out because that's what I was told and she didn't even know what to do with my membership.

She called someone else and they said it takes 24 hrs to transfer. She again told me "it's not my fault and that's the way it is." She did say that she would call me the next day to correct the membership, took my number after she didn't understand that the number on the screen attached to the location is not my phone number. She did say that she would leave a note for the morning staff because I was going to be there at 5:45AM the next day. There was no note left and she has yet to call me ever after I called her twice and left messages with the staff. This started on 4 Jan 17.

Today when I went in it still was not taken care of. There was a short, ** lady with glasses talking personally behind the counter on her phone who stuck her finger in my face telling me to wait. She refused to tell me her name. Darren came over to help but indicated "I'm just the night janitor." He did find someone to correct the issue but when he came to give me my card he said I had to have a picture. I asked why and he shrugged his shoulders. I am already upset because of the service I continue to receive so I told him it wasn't like that at the last location. He responded rudely and loudly "we are not them," so I got pissed and told him not to talk to me that way and he walked away cussing at me. He never came back with my card so I went to get it and three people, a new one, the ** lady, and Darren all raised their voices to me that I had to take the pictures. I never refused the picture.

Along with all the extremely poor service Esther allows cameras in the locker. All three times I was there people are in the locker room taking pictures, two times there have been younger kids running around yelling, and women are allowed to wear skimpy tops over their bras and shorts so short their butt hangs out. Ester was there for one of the days, there was a worker in the locker room twice with the cameras, and there are workers all over the floor to see the clothes and the kids. This place is horrible.

I have been paying or PF have taken money from my account for the past two years, and because I have a balance with them from 2015 they would not allow me to use the gym. I have tried to pay this past due of $29.00 but they would not let me through my bank. I was stopped at the gym and threatened to have the cops called on me for trying to use the gym that I have been paying for the past two years. The manager is a horrible and more than once tried to get me arrested by calling the cops on me. Why I cannot use the gym when they constantly take money out of my account for the past two years is ridiculous and thievery.

I've read most of the complaints for PF, especially the most recent. I want to provide my experience with the PF in High Point, NC. Yes, it was a brand new facility, nice and clean. Everything worked and the staff was good, not great, but good. The staff EXPLAINED everything to me before purchasing the Black Card plan. He told me the price per month, the yearly fee, and how to cancel the membership. Halfway through the membership, I was charged the yearly fee. I knew it was coming because he told me it was and IT'S IN THE CONTRACT.

I decided not to renew my membership and on the day it expired I called to double-check and make sure it was canceled. The clerk asked that I come in, which I did, and I verified the account was closed. She provided me with a statement showing it was canceled and that my account would not be charged. I checked my account for three months afterward and received no charges or yearly fee. Just a side note: Here in NC, the YMCA is nearly $550 for one person. If you pick the Black Card membership with the yearly fee it will cost you around $23-$24 a month. Also, I was able to use my Black Card at any PF with no issues.

Dealt with the most rudest disgusting "regional manager" named KIMBERLY ever! She was extremely disrespectful & trashy with the way she dealt with me. THEIR employee took my payment for November but failed to tell me October's payment hadn't gone through the previous month. I kept working out ALL of November, December & some of JANUARY with no issues whatsoever & on January 6th KIMBERLY stopped me & stated that out of nowhere I now have a balance from 2+ MONTHS AGO.. What??? Really? So in 2+ months NONE OF the employees who scanned my card 20+ times were competent enough to communicate to me, the CUSTOMER who has no way whatsoever of knowing I have a balance unless communicated to me (duh). That I cannot work out AT ALL due to her employee's MISTAKE & lack of proper training and communication.

She then proceeded to talk over me in a loud voice, shout out my private account information for everyone to hear. She kicked me out of the gym, refused to let me workout to at least make up for their mistake, would not let me get one single word in, refused to give me the corporate phone # and adamantly refused to give me her full name. What a disrespectful & ugly way to treat a client who's been a member for 2 years & who makes her payments no matter what. This is not okay.

I now understand exactly why none of her employees were able to communicate to me in 2+ months that I had an old balance. Because KIMBERLY is the regional manager. That's exactly why. She has no skills AT ALL with customer relations & she should be FIRED. Planet Fitness is an ok gym but KIMBERLY is a disgrace to that establishment & because of her they now lost about 10 clients. Because now NONE of my family & friends whom I personally recommended to this gym will ever be going there again. Good job KIMBERLY. What a waste. Go get a real job you're actually good at you condescending twit. If you're thinking of joining this specific Planet Fitness, DON'T! I highly recommend going the extra mile & joining a real gym like LA Fitness. Or even better than that, cross the street & join YOU-FIT! Just left their gym & they're way better all around for the same if not cheaper price!

I went to PF with my boyfriend. I wanted to join a gym and he would be a guest occasionally. He suffers from diabetic neuropathy and wanted mostly just to use massage chairs or table. We explained this in detail. We were told the black membership would work. The ONLY thing he could not use were the tanning beds dues to ins issues. Which didn't make sense but we thought whatever. She took us on tour and and we went over it several time that he could use the chairs and table as long as I was there. This was on Dec 16th 2016.

On Jan 2 2017 we went to the club for the 1st time. Scanned in and asked to see if a chair or bed was available and were immediately stumped and told he could not use it. He needed to buy a membership as well. We said we would cancel cause the whole reason we got the black membership was so he could occasionally use the massage table. They want to charge $58 to cancel plus another month of membership at $21. We were misled and lied to. Not only that the girl at the desk was so rude about it. If they would have been nice about the situation maybe we would have considered it but No!

The manager called us back and has even worse customer service skills. Instead of trying to make things better he was rude and just instilled how horrible this club actually is! Furthermore we called corporate office and they have NO control over individual clubs. The whole system is a useless scam! My advice pay the extra $10 and go to a reputable club! You get what you pay for!

Sell the $20 a month black card option as a scam. Using the terminology "unlimited guest privileges" but then in practice they limit you in every possible way when you bring a guest. Bogus snake oil salesman tactics. To top it off, the staff are generally unknowledgeable about anything except selling memberships.

I had joined their membership years ago. One location closed forcing me to transfer to another. I then moved out of the area and transferred again the membership. Over the next year 1/2 I never used the membership again but was still getting billed monthly. I decided to go in and cancel per their agreement. When I walked into the local location that I had transferred it to, they told me that my membership was canceled 6 months prior and showed no billing. I told them that I was still being billed monthly. They told me to contact the original location and ask. I did and they told me that my membership was transferred to another state 1200 miles away but showed it was canceled. No resolution there.

I then called my bank to stop payment from this account. I did receive a refund for the last 6 months. The following month I get another monthly charge. I called my bank back to report fraudulent activity from this company. There isn't any number or contact services for Planet Fitness. Only a email service which only responds automatically from which option you choose stating their rules and regulations. This company is set up to take money per month from its customers and make it nearly impossible to stop them.

When attempting to downgrade my wife's membership from Premium to a basic membership after being a member for at least 5 years, they had the nerve to ask for the initiation fee. They said this is only charged if you downgrade. What happened to our 5 year relationship. That does count. This is such poor customer relations. So I cancelled her membership and will consider a different gym. Customer and business loyalty is out the door of these days especially at this business. You're not the only game in town Planet Fitness. Maybe the people across the street be better at least more loyal.

My girlfriend and I signed up well over a year ago at the Flint, MI Planet Fitness. Both of us had signed up for the black card membership. I had signed us both up as in I signed all the paper work. So although her account was not in my name, I had signed for it. It was on my bank account, and my email. After using it one time shortly after we got it we tried canceling 8 months later. The person I spoke to explained that we were in a one year contract and said it was $90 to cancel (which later I saw on our terms & conditions was $58 not $90). I brushed it off and accepted the next 4 months to pay. After that time and our yearly payment I had tried canceling. Contacted the PF office and canceled. they accepted it. everything was all good right? Wrong. During my cancellation I had lost my job and didn't have any money in my account which PF deemed alright to continue to charge me.

After 8 or 10 times the company tried taking money out of an account that had $0 in it I noticed after getting a new job. I had called them and explained that I had already canceled my account to which they said I never did. Frustrated I explained that I never even really went to the gym in the first place but was fine with paying for that because that was my fault. The person I spoke to saw that we had only gone to the gym 1 time out of the whole year but couldn't cancel my account or stop the account being charged. I then asked why wouldn't anyone contact me if the account wasn't being paid for? Why try taking money out of an account 8 or 10 times with insufficient funds and not bother calling the person? Even local business' with like 5 employees and over 2,000 customers would at least contact the customer if transaction came up insufficient.

When I had asked about this the billing portion of PF the actual billing people that I talked to said, "Our billing comes from a 3rd party..." I was shocked to hear this. I spoke to the person who was head of this portion (in Michigan) and she just basically was like "Well tough luck". Finally getting my account canceled 2 months later I had found they had charged me again. When I called back they had discovered it was from my girlfriend’s account and when I canceled I had only canceled my own. I was outraged by this because I had signed everything on hers. But they had said, "We don't do joint accounts". This time being successful taking the money out I had demand to take it back but much like before they just shrugged their shoulders and said "Nothing we can do.”

What is the point of have a billing portion of a company if they don't handle anything to do with actual billing!? The person gave me the number to corporate to which I had called and they were more useless than the billing portion. The woman I had spoken to just said, "Contact billing... They are franchised and independently owned" This is honestly the worst company I have ever dealt with and it's sad because originally I thought it was great that they were a gym with an affordable membership.

The cleanliness of the gym and equipment doesn't seem to be consistent. We have complained about the greasy hand prints all over the mirrors in the stretching area. Sometimes the mirrors are clean but many times the same hand prints are visible for days. It is not a good testament for the effort put into keeping the gym clean and making it a gym that you are proud to be a member of. We used to see staff cleaning the gym frequently but over the past couple of months we haven't seen it being done very often.

This gym is mad sketchy!! I made a membership and only maybe went in once but they immediately charged me their annual membership fee. After about a month I had to go in and cancel personally but even after that I was charged about $40 when I had already canceled!!! I just don't understand. It wasn't even the membership fee because they took that already from the start! Don't ever come here!!! I can't believe a fitness chain that size resorts to such lowly ways and not get lawsuits. Shut down already!!!

I have attempted to cancel the membership since September. I was advised to write a letter which I did and when did not hear anything went into the store and was advised the membership could not be canceled due to a balance owed. When inquired a bit further about the balance was advised can not be discussed at the location and would need to call the billing dept or come back to speak with manager. I came back w/in a few days to speak with manager. (Dreamy) is the name I was given and she was not there so I called a few days later and spoke with an employee that gave me Greg from billing dept. I called Greg and left a message with voice service and have not received a callback (it's now going on two weeks).

I went back into the store and spoke with the manager on site (Steven) that explained the billing details in full and I was able to understand where the bal carried from in August 2015 so I am in agreement that I owe the 21.95 +10 late fee from over 1 yr ago but the nature of the complaint was that had the dispute been discussed in detail prior I could have paid the bal. Meanwhile my bank account is still being charged 21.00 monthly and was charged a renewal fee. I just want to cancel the membership with paying any additional cost.

Based on the negligence of the employees in not providing details of the charge that was outstanding and not getting a callback I have been charged a renewal fee and another month for service I haven't used or want. I submitted a complaint to the BBB and Planet Fitness never even responded. This a predatory company as they know most people will not close their bank account to ensure charges don't go through. So they don't respond or address the issue as they know they will continue to be paid.

I, along with a friend joined Planet Fitness in Jan of 2016. With a short time we had both incurred injuries (rotator cuff tear and back injury) that prevented us from using the facility. We realized we were not likely to be able to work out in the near. In July of 2016 I went to the club and asked them to cancel my membership. It was treated extremely by the young man at the register. He told me I had to pay them $66 for each of our accounts before I left the building or he would not cancel. I told him to cancel and send me a bill (I did not have the cash on me and certainly did not want to allow him access to more of my money) and I would pay the $132 to cancel.

Now, keep in mind that I had just been charged almost $90 for an "annual fee". We had only been members for six months... How can I have an "annual" fee. He refused to let me cancel unless I gave him $66 each on the spot. I did get the Regional Manager's name from him and called to let him know how upset I was. He NEVER responded to me. I reached out to the corporate office and did get a return call but when I called him back he NEVER responded again. I have paid them almost $500 and they continue to bill me. Everyone needs to be aware that this is a scam! DON'T JOIN THIS CLUB. There are other clubs that do business in a customer friendly manner, that have bigger and better facilities, and don't lure you in with a $10 per month advertisement and falsely lead you to believe that is the program.

Updated on 01/01/2017: I have now written into the Customer Service Department via their website at least four times. I did receive a voicemail one time but all subsequent attempts to reach anyone either by phone, email or their website has gone unanswered. I just saw an advertisement as I was looking for the web address again stating today "get all of this for $10 per month"!!! Buyer beware... it is not $10 per month! It is advertising fraud and I have turned it over to an Assistant District Attorney who advises me that he has had many complaints about Planet Fitness. PLEASE DON'T JOIN... IT IS A RIP OFF.

I just signed up with Planet Fitness promotion. $10 down and $10 a month on 11/15/2016. But why was I charged $10 on the 11/17/2016??? I just signed up. I called and spoke with an employee who was very nice and the guy said, that's basically how their system is set up. Needless to say, I hung up the phone still confused.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in 1994, Planet Fitness is an American gym that expanded into a franchise operation in 2003. Franchisees operate over 1,200 locations across the United States and are currently expanding into Canada and the Dominican Republic. Planet Fitness offers a full array of exercise machines, and many locations offer a selection of fitness classes.

• PF 30-minute Express Circuit: Planet Fitness makes it easy for patrons to complete a full cardio and strength training circuit in half an hour, using ten strength machines and ten cardio machines. A red-light, green-light system alerts those on the circuit when to switch machines.
  • $10 membership: Planet Fitness offers a no-commitment $10/month membership option. It includes a T-shirt, unlimited access to one Planet Fitness club and unlimited access to training.
  • Black Card membership: Planet Fitness’ Black Card membership is ideal for those who want more than just a basic gym membership. In addition to the benefits of a $10 membership, Black Card members enjoy use of all Planet Fitness franchise locations, unlimited tanning, half price drinks and many more benefits for about $20 a month.
  • Free pe@pf service: Planet Fitness offers a program called pe@pf, which offers the benefits of a grown-up physical education course. Certified trainers will educate you on fitness equipment and routines and help you set goals appropriate for your current fitness level.
  • Member perks: Every member can participate in Pizza Mondays and Bagel Tuesdays.
  • Best for fitness beginners and those who need a supportive gym environment.

Compare Gyms and Fitness Centers