Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.30/5

Planet Fitness Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Planet Fitness?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Planet Fitness?

Original review: April 19, 2020

This gym is very economical and includes a lot of equipment for various type of workouts. Lots of tvs and music help with good distractions. TVs are limited to 8 channels that cannot be changed, meaning you may miss your hometown football team on a given week. They are very well run and they are kept very clean, especially given the high traffic in peak hours. They also carry some products such as earbuds if you forget yours or damage them, as well as drinks, locks, clothing etc. Best part is, if you have a black card, you can bring a friend for free or get a massage.

Original review: April 18, 2020

The many times that I visited this gym I found it to have the machines that I needed to use. The treadmills were plenty. As were the stationary bicycles. As far as the weight machines go, they had a variety of them aimed at working out different parts of the body. For the most part the machines were clean as they advise that after using the equipment, you wipe them down with the sanitizing spray and paper towels that they provide and have set up throughout the facility. I’ve visited two (2) of their gyms frequently and found this to be consistent in both places. They provide assistance as well if you need it. They provide different exercising programs as well. Lockers and showers are available to use as well. I feel that this gym is worth the money.

Get buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 7, 2020

I really enjoyed the Planet Fitness better than any of the other gyms. I like how it's set up with different rooms off to the sides. I like that is very clean. The staff is there to help you at any time, very friendly. The equipment is spotless, clean and I really like the chairs that you lay in that give you the massages with the water. That was the main reason that I joined. I suffer and chronic pain and I knew what the exercise and the massage of that chair I'd be a good shape. The only thing I didn't like was that there's not very many of them. I had to drive almost a half hour to get there. And it just was not conducive for a quick workout.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2020

I've enjoyed the Planet Fitness Circuit for about 3 yrs now. I am enjoying the workout with a few of the same people 3-4 times a week. At first I was frustrated that the classes were held at different times daily. I've been going to other gyms many years with classes at the same time each day. I have gotten over that inconvenience for the sake of the gym being near my home. Now since the new year another inconvenience has been put upon us. Which is the decision of Planet Fitness 30 Minute Circuits to be less times each day! These classes were twice a day now the single class is once a day and some held in the evenings only. Only two classes during the week are before 2PM. Many of us are seniors so driving in the dark is not an option. We have a terrific Trainer plus the gym is kept well. I would appreciate knowing the reason for this inconvenience, thank you.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

I've been a member of Planet Fitness Holland, Mi. for several years. I've always just done "my usual" routine which consisted of the Elliptical machine, Arc Climber, and the Treadmill. I did free weights and ab work but never considered taking "classes" there. I'd observed Maddie run classes a few times and was impressed so I decided to get out of my comfort zone and talk to her. I'm so glad I did.

My first class was "Refresh" which was amazing. I completed a "Strength" class today and LOVED it. Maddie was right there to help at every station and was very encouraging. She took some of my limitations to heart and showed me ways to modify the exercise to fit my needs. The classes are 30 minutes long, and she is with you every step of the way. I am looking forward to a "Core" class and plan to sign up for classes daily to work muscles that have been in hibernation for a while. I only wish I'd started earlier. I'm 58 years old, have a fused ankle and a surgically repaired knee and I COULD do everything! Maddie was a wonderful addition to our club in Holland.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2020

The MATERIAL Fitness Center at the Inverness FL location is awesome. The club manager is a Planet Fitness hiring mistake. Beware of her bait & switch tactics of baiting with a promotion flyer, then offering a contract absent of the promotion. She also baits customers with other bizarre legal claims that proved to be false. Her narcissistic personality disorder creates havoc for prospective members who actually read the contract. The regional manager had to intervene to stop the scorched-earth tactics of this deranged sociopath.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2020

I signed a one-year contract with Planet Fitness well over a year ago. My contract ended during the pandemic back in June. Keep in mind that they shut down all gyms in March 2020. But Planet Fitness started charging my bank account again September 2020 transactions totaling $62. I called to complain and I got no results. Please do not give these people your banking information especially if you're living on a budget during this pandemic.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2020

I have paid up and cancel it on August 2020. They are trying to get more money from me. I will not go back. I recommended to people go somewhere else. With this COVID -19. I don't want myself or any other risk their health.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

Before covid hit, I requested to cancel my membership and I spoke with the general manager, Chris at the location in Oceanside CA. He assured me my account would be cancelled and that I would not be charged, I even have a voicemail from 3/18/2020 confirming this. Last night I see a charge on my account and nobody can explain to me why. They keep asking me to come in, which I do not think I should have to considering I was already told by the manager I was cancelled. It is literally impossible to get real help and I just get told the same script over and over. Not happy and still no phone call back.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

I wish I could give 0 stars, first off they charge you even when the membership is frozen, they don't complete the process of freezing or cancelling the membership. I went in to cancel due to high risk for covid, they said fee is 58 dollars, bear in mind it's 58+tax! The next day they charge me for the following month as if I'm still a member and refuse to give my money back. I will never ever go there again and discourage absolutely every single friend of mine who might consider joining them. I'm getting a new card so these scammers can't charge me anymore.

Planet Fitness author review by Joey Thurman

Founded in 1994, Planet Fitness is an American gym that expanded into a franchise operation in 2003. Franchisees operate over 1,200 locations across the United States and are currently expanding into Canada and the Dominican Republic. Planet Fitness offers a full array of exercise machines, and many locations offer a selection of fitness classes.

• PF 30-minute Express Circuit: Planet Fitness makes it easy for patrons to complete a full cardio and strength training circuit in half an hour, using ten strength machines and ten cardio machines. A red-light, green-light system alerts those on the circuit when to switch machines.

• $10 membership: Planet Fitness offers a no-commitment $10/month membership option. It includes a T-shirt, unlimited access to one Planet Fitness club and unlimited access to training.

• Black Card membership: Planet Fitness’ Black Card membership is ideal for those who want more than just a basic gym membership. In addition to the benefits of a $10 membership, Black Card members enjoy use of all Planet Fitness franchise locations, unlimited tanning, half price drinks and many more benefits for about $20 a month.

• Free pe@pf service: Planet Fitness offers a program called pe@pf, which offers the benefits of a grown-up physical education course. Certified trainers will educate you on fitness equipment and routines and help you set goals appropriate for your current fitness level.

• Member perks: Every member can participate in Pizza Mondays and Bagel Tuesdays.

by Joey Thurman Fitness and Nutrition Expert

Joey Thurman is a nationally recognized and spin certified health, fitness, nutrition expert and television host He is the author of "365 Health and Fitness Hacks That Could Save Your Life." His work has been featured in publications such as Men’s Health, U.S. News and World Report, NPR, People Magazine, Shape, NY Post, Fitness Magazine, ‪Women's Health and many more.

Planet Fitness Company Information