1.43/5
  • 1 star
Based on 136 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Planet Fitness

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 20, 2018

728 Planet Fitness Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

They don't want to cancel account, staff becomes dramatic to ensure an argument. Tell them to cancel me and she says, "I don't have to!" Meanwhile, they're taking money from my savings account from which they wouldn't show a contract stating that I would allow that. I had a membership about 8 years ago and don't remember giving access to a savings account. This company is a money making scam and trying to hide something.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I called them to know the process of cancellation and the rep told could do it by phone. So requested, one year after I decided to go back to Planet Fitness and I used the same information and the system never linked to the other account (as per Gregory ** billing manager it's part of their business to catch people trying to cheat). When I go to the club they put up a bill of $190 that owed and they confirmed I never used the gym.The funny thing they cancelled my account without my permission but I did ask for the money to be refunded, but they declined. People they don't use Planet Fitness. They trying to rip you off. I asked them to correct the old account by removing the balance and I would stay as a member but they refuse even though I never used their prior and was a employee mistake.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I am a grateful and frequent user of the Planet Fitness that recently opened above the Aldi's on Lee & Main in Fairfax City, VA. From my first visit/tour, the staff was upfront with me about fees and expectations, and answered all the questions I had. They have since exceeded those expectations with courtesy, respect, and patience. I've found that the staff work to live up to the ideals of maintaining a clean "judgment free, lunk-free zone" and for the first time in my life I find myself looking forward to my next visit and workout--and that's opposite of my experience at the other main-line gyms of my past. An added benefit is the hydro-massage--included in black card membership--a great way to end the workouts and minimize muscle soreness.

Although previous reviewers have complained of "fraudulent and/or surprise billing," my experience is that payments are consistently handled as expected from the contract I read and signed upon joining. Yes, I've been enthusiastically recommending Planet Fitness to friends, acquaintances, and the Aldi's staff downstairs (who, by the way, are very grateful for PF's don't-throw-weights-down policy! Several have commented on how "nice and quiet" PF is: "We rarely hear them up there--unlike the previous gym tenants!") Thank-you for your service, PF!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

They run this "$1 down and no contract agreement" but they DO bill your checking account $39.00 within a few months. Do not fall for this scam. This is a scam. Well, there you have it. You have been warned. You're an adult and can make your own choices. Just don't come later say "you didn't know."

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

When I signed up I was told I could cancel anytime but with no restrictions and that my payments would come out the afternoon evening of the 17th of every month. I tried to cancel by phone and then they said I had to go to a center to cancel which wasn’t stated at sign up. And they tried to take money from my account on the 16th before Friday the 17th before my direct deposit came in and so my account started as a overdraw at first attempt.

So when I called them after finding out about the charges they said I had to pay the yearly membership fee plus that month fee before they would cancel which was not part of my membership agreement. And then they continue to run a charge everyday which ran my bank account negative hundreds of dollars. When I called they said they wouldn’t stop charging my account until I paid. They are still running charges and I had to close my account and I now owe the bank hundreds of dollars plus owing Planet Fitness for a week worth of membership usage. I’d never recommend this company. Their business practices are shady and borderline criminal fraud robbery.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Planet Fitness?

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I drove to the Cinnaminson, NJ Planet Fitness on Route 130 for a workout, it has been several months since my last workout. The young lady at the desk reads my membership card and said "Sir there is problem, you owe over $100 in dues and late fees". She said I owe Oct., Nov., and Dec of 2018. I asked her what is the problem, she said the CC is on hold and proceeded to let me know I was in collection due to non-payment. I never received a notice of non-payment or of any problems. Then she told me as of June, they are not accepting CC's any longer, and you must give them your bank information, routing and account numbers. I never received any notification of such policy change. She told me my contract reads exactly that. Not true, I signed up with a CC approximately three years ago. So I cancelled the contract and paid the dues minus the late fees with the same CC on file without a problem.

Something fishy here! The Accounting / billing department has my credit card on file, without any notice, I'm in collection! Changing Contracts without a notice and or signature, **! God forbid you're hurt and do not make it to Planet Fitness for 8 months, and a phantom problem occurs with your CC. You assume everything is fine, then boom, you are one irate individual! I said to the young lady, there should be signage of new contract change or warning if there is a problem with payment due to contract change, follow instructions.

INSTEAD THEY BOMBARD YOU WITH LATE FEES AND THROW YOUR ** IN COLLECTIONS. I've been a customer in good standing for over 3 years (I have a great credit rating). The Young lady told me she has over 9 thousand customers and will not handle any problems and said it's all on the customer (I'm sure that was not the response when the company was first starting). I not sure if it legal to change a contract without notification, but believe me with Social media, I can surely ask the question, and hopefully someone out in the media world can help! Finally, it's very sad the corporate world doesn't give two hoots about their customers, only the money! Wake up everyone, read your contract, cancel, and go elsewhere!

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

Although inexpensive to join there are things to watch out for. Upon cancelling membership there's a 60 dollar fee. In the case of me they charged my acct after I cancelled so I had to change my acct. If you're now paying to bring a guest why do they take so much info. From your guest name number picture etc. There's no disclosures in your membership disqualifying who can or can't come yet they've been known to stop certain guests from coming as your "guest" keep all records of when you stopped membership because they've been known to keep billing you after you stop your membership. It happened to me.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

Loud music, unfriendly staff. They also forged my paperwork I filled out when I terminated my contract. I was honest and put why I quit, and when I received my copy in my email it had been changed to say I quit as I didn’t have time. WTH? You do know forgery is a felony, right?

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

I joined PF in Jan 2017. On October 21st, PF charged my regular fee of $10.83, then on October 25th, they charged me an extra $30 without explanation. On December 18th, they charged my card $10.83, then they charged me again on December 23rd, $15.00. When I called the location, at first the girl/guy that answered the phone said they were having computer issues. Then they said, since I had never been into the fitness center, they had not set up my account correctly and this was why I was being overcharged. PF could not explain the extra charges. I asked to speak to a manager, the person, Lucille? said the manager was "out to lunch" and that I had to come to the store to get a refund. Lucille agreed that I was due a refund. I told Lucille that I would not come to the store because I lived across town, she said, "Hold on, let me get the manager."

Now all of a sudden, the manager that was out to lunch is now available (all within 5 minutes). I asked the manager why they were charging me all these extra fees, at first, she said I had two credit/debit cards on file, then she said that it was late fees. Really. I asked the manager for a refund, Susan??? Not sure of the actual manager's name because they lie so much, said NO. I said why not, she said NO. I asked for the corporate office number, she refused. I asked for the independent owner's information, she refused, then hung up on me. WHAT KIND OF BUSINESS ARE THEY RUNNING WHERE THEY CAN JUST STEAL people's money, give them attitude and then hang up on them. Needless to say, PF will never get my business again and I will make it my life's work to prevent every person that I can from doing business with them. They are a serious Joke. You get what you pay for, cheap fees for cheap service.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I need cancel my membership with Planet Fitness. I call to the 1800 number they told me in order to do so. I need to go to the branch in Amsterdam NY. I went there, I try to talk with one of the employee who refused to help me with the cancellation, I request speak with the manager. He refused also. I did explain to them I can't paid anymore something I not using. They are going into my bank account to get the money. If they can't get on one account they go to the other bank account trying to get money off my account. I need help. If someone can tell me how I can get off this Help!!! Please!!! I don't like when they tried to take over your money.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

I had a membership with Planet Fitness for some time and always paid but very very rarely used the membership. Recently I became very ill and had to relocate to another state. I'm not physically able to move around like I use to and I reached out to Planet Fitness via phone numerous times asking them to cancel my membership but just will not do it. I told them about my condition but it don't matter. They just keep hitting my account and won't refund my money at all. They lure you in and then screw you at the end. Very very very unsatisfied customer.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

Planet Fitness took money out of my account more than once for my monthly membership. I had to move out of the area and they would not cancel my membership. This company is one of the worse. I have not used my account in months, they don't take that into consideration. I hate this company. The worse customer service ever.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I’ve joined the Planet Fitness in Edgewater in July and after getting a fitness assessment was offered a monthly personal training. I said I would like to get it for 3 (max 4) months. Won’t be able to afford it longer. The manager assured me it won’t be a problem getting out of the contract. He never mentioned to me that they also had 3 months options. In October I approached the manager telling him that I won’t be able to pay for next month and asked him to terminate the contract. He pretty much said it won’t be possible unless I provide the documents confirming my move-out. I provided a ticket with one way flight to my home country. He later said it’s not enough and on November 17th my card had been charged again.

Later I spoke with the “next level manager” and was again assured to be helped. This manager said that “his manager” is ready to get me off the hook after charging for December which is unacceptable. My last conversation was 2 days ago and nobody contacted me since. I’m asking for November to be refunded as I never used November sessions. I wouldn’t recommend their program unless you are ready to go full year. No matter what they promise.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

Planet Fitness is a bait and switch. They lure you in with low monthly fee but the gym itself is awful because they play heavy metal music so loud you can't stand it and don't want to go. They also try to trap you into annual contracts and make you jump through hoops to stop them. Rude staff. Stay away from this gym. Ick!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

They offered me a tour, are very friendly, answer any questions I have eagerly, and for the price you can't go wrong! I don't know why people keep complaining about the annual fee, or the cancellation fee (that you shouldn't even need to do, just finish your contract). Even after paying both of those things you still won't be paying anywhere near as much money as what other gyms would charge you. Stop being so greedy, and learn to recognize a good thing when you see it! You will not get a better deal anywhere else!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

Don't join Planet Fitness. Don't give them checking account information. They could use credit card information, but choose not to. They will not allow you to join without giving them checking account information, whether in person or online. Biggest complaints about them all revolve around billing irregularities and problems getting cancellation requests honored. It is far, far simpler to sign up, than to cancel, "no commitment" notwithstanding. Also rudeness and judgment, in the "judgment-free zone".

Requiring a checking account information is a red flag that they have too many billing disputes. You can't reverse a draft on a checking account, through your bank, but you can dispute and reverse a credit card transaction, this way. Even closing a checking account does not relieve the account holder from liability for future check drafts, but closing a credit account, does. Their billing practices are scammy - even arguably fraudulent.

There is no corporate customer service function; all customer service is through the club facility, only. No effective recourse or up-channel for people dissatisfied with service at their club; even the website "Contact Us" link, redirects you to your club's service desk. Like it or lump it; they'll keep charging you, either way, and you can't make them stop, or make them provide satisfactory service, short of a lawsuit. Stay away.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I honestly don’t know what all these people are complaining about. I remember very clearly when I signed up in October of this year that they said there will be a $39 charge one time a year. I have the black club membership so mine is $22 a month. If you break down $39 over 12 months that Amounts to $3.25 a month. So basically You’re $22 (rounded) membership a month goes to a whopping $25 a month. Are you kidding me people? Where can you go to a gym for $25 a month and have access to what you have with Planet Fitness? I just left a “swankier” gym that cost me $39 a month and an initiation fee. And they didn’t have half of what PF has. Have you thought at all about what it would cost to pay a personal trainer each time you wanted some individual attention?

Well if you don’t know, here in Charleston SC, they charge $45 for 30 minutes. At PF, the group classes 9 times out of 10, are no more than 3 people (where I am) and on occasion it has been only me! But even if the class of maxed out, you still have room to move and the trainers make sure you are working. And finally. The equipment is top notch and they have everything known to man. So before you start squawking about money, look at what you are getting for far less than somewhere else. My only suggestion for PF to avoid confusion with this yearly fee, would be to advertise that just as I explained. Broken down over a year and the minimal amount it truly would add to your bill if it were blended into your monthly payment. My hats off to you PF. Great experience for me and I’m down 5 inches and 5 pounds!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

They is definitely judging the minute you walk in this place, been to others as well as visiting the same as well as rude. They want the real users frustrated, and out shape. People who go and quite but still pay cause their dues real low, like the real users so they quit the gym get little were then, is their philosophy!!!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

The problem with PF is they are greedy sleazy company. They auto bill annual fee without notice and doubled it to $42 second year. Paid $60 in month of October. Went to cancel and no rebate of annual dues. Con artist rely on contract which favors them and not customers. So good to this customer. So rude the receptionist took my pass key and I still have 2 weeks left. They don't care about their customers. If they did they would give part of annual fee back. They are big losers for their policies. Pretty bad they don't care about bad reviews rather than work with customers. Tear up your contract PF - you suck - bad business - skip this club - a bunch of losers who take your money and hide behind a contract. Pitiful for any American. Don't sign up to be ripped off. They don't tell you of price changes - just read your contact 1000 times so you won't be scammed by lazy customer service rep. Stay away from these scammers - cheap ass club.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I was doubled charged my monthly fee and when I wanted to dispute it with Greg ** (Greg.** a planetfitness.com) in Billing at **. He was very unprofessional and had very poor customer service skills. He didn't want to hear what I had to say and hung up on me. When I called back to speak to his manager, the lady who answered the phone told me there is no one else to speak to but him and she was rude as well and she stated I can only be routed to his voicemail. He followed up with an email to protect himself because he knew he was wrong but problem still was not resolved. So I contacted my bank to dispute the charge and change my debit card and debit card number. My bank stated numerous bankers complained about Planet Fitness billing department. Anyway, I give Planet Fitness in East Orange ZERO STARS - very very dissatisfied.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

Joined Planet Fitness the end of September for a membership special of $3.95. Within a week's time I was charged $22 for the month of October. The very first of November my account was charged an additional $40 plus another $22 for my monthly membership. When I called to ask why my card was charged $60 she informed me that the $40 was a yearly membership fee on top of my $20 a month membership fee. How is it $22 a month if I'm being charging an extra $40 a year membership fee and if I cancel it before my year is up it's additional $58. She said that was in my agreement. Sure enough I pull up my agreement form which I did not receive when I signed up. It says that I will be charged the $40 a year membership fee plus there was a $58 cancellation fee. I have seen that when I signed up online I would not have signed up. I don't understand how it can be $22 a month membership fee plus an additional $40 a year membership fee.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

Unwilling to refund annual fee - even though the member is a vulnerable adult and I am her legal guardian. When I stated this, I said asked for membership to be cancelled and fee refunded. I was told, "We have a picture of her holding signed agreement so she knew about the fee." Even when I explained under guardianship she is unable legally sign contracts, they refused to refund the fee. I've repeatedly called the corporate office but no one answers!!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

I allowed my grandma to sign up for a membership with my bank info and Planet Fitness kept billing my account so I spoke with the ASSISTANT manager and he was extremely rude with me. At first he said I could come up there and take my info off and then he said he never said that. I threatened to call police and he said the police is on their side. I don’t’ know if that was a racist comment or he just trying to keep from having negative attention. I will never deal with Planet Fitness again. By the way, it's the Planet Fitness in Burton Michigan.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I was a member of Planet Fitness for a few months until they started kicking me out of the gym because they claimed we weren't paying the monthly bill. The account statements showed that money was being taken from the account and the bill was in fact being paid. They claim we are not paying when we are and won't let us use the gym anymore. It's almost like they just want more money.

They sign up people and then in order to get more people into the gym they keep out the ones that are already paying. Why pay for something you can't use? I'm glad that I never gave them my bank information and that instead a friend of mine did because had I given them my bank information I believe they would have scammed me as well.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

Informed by both the sales rep and Manager that this would be a 12 month contract and no hidden costs or joining fees. I just had to pay for my tag. Surprise I was tied into a 24 month contract and levy fees, the call centre is pathetic and the manager at Planet Fitness Fourways can only repeat "But you signed for it." Staff are clearly trained to be dishonest and trap people into long term contracts.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Be prepared if you're a "fit" individual that you WILL be judged. Both fit shaming and fat shaming are two very serious things and neither should ever be tolerated. It's uncalled for, especially at a gym that screams "judgment free" when that is not the case. Body shaming, chastising, and stereotyping makes people feel uncomfortable and objectified. How is my body type indicative of the quality of my soul or what type of person I am?

After 8 months without issues, we were asked to leave over a shirt that was certainly within dress code. The real issue didn't even lie within clothing, it was clear judgment of physique. Meanwhile it's ok for skinny women to walk around in sports bras, yet not ok for men to wear sleeveless shirts? Does that sound like "judgment free" to you? Sounds both sexist and hypocritical. The one "problematic" shirt in particular has been worn over a hundred times to the same gym by my husband, yet suddenly became an issue with the assistant manager. Please, by all means, check the cameras, we're in there and he's in THAT shirt many times. He even asked the head manager when we initially joined if the shirt was ok and she approved, hence why he wore it all the time. Never once had an issue until she came along and it seemed more like a personal vendetta rather than rule enforcement.

If you're going to have rules, they're for EVERYONE, not some. I felt targeted, harassed, and embarrassed over this matter. It's evident it wasn't the shirt. This seemed more like a personal issue. This gym has double standards and clearly has a stigma against certain body types. I cancelled my membership immediately because I could foresee this being an ongoing issue because of sheer envy, not policy.

It's important to know that Planet Fitness has decided to handle the matter by blocking me from their page. I feel very disappointed how the issue was handled after being a member for a while without any issue, but people need to know that there are double standards and there is clear judgment against targeted individuals. As for the targeting? When people make comments about "fit shaming" or any type of body shaming, they need to know that someone is on the receiving end of your comments. You may choose to think what you want about them, but the reality is you know nothing about what it’s like to walk in their shoes. In 2017, why are we judging people based on appearance?

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

Recently charged for an annual fee the first two months of signing up without no warning when they were going to bill me. Wow! When I phone called to inquire some girl said, "It’s was in the contract you signed." I said, "Yeah, but you never alerted me as to when you're going to take it out of my bank account." I hate this place with a passion. Old equipment and to all of building space with mirrors along with the ugly colors purple & yellow???

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I was a member of Planet Fitness in Coral Springs FL on Sample and 441. I cancelled my membership or was told it was cancelled. I come to find out that they been charging my account for 10 months after. I'm not the one to look at bank statements every month, so the $10.89 was unrecognized. I finally noticed when they hit my account for a $40 dollar annual fee. I was then told that your yearly membership renews automatically after it expires, huh???

I had not been at the gym for 10 months, so to try to work things out, I asked for a 10 month membership not for free, but I had already paid into and they can see on their computer I have not been there for 10 months. That was denied so I cancelled at the gym, and now I have a company called ABC Financial emailing me saying I owe $51.00 past due amount because I disputed the $41.00 annual fee. Now I am forced to go to my bank and change my account number. I will never give my account number to any gym membership again. So beware of this activity. When you sign up for 1 year it won't cancel unless you go into the location and sign, and then beware they may hit your account for more money.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I cancelled my membership in July at the location I signed up at and now they are calling me saying that I didn't and that I owe them for months. They lie and don't cancel your membership so they can keep billing you. Their corporate will not deal with you, they say you have to contact the branch that you signed up at. That branch tells you to call billing. They just keep sending you back and forth. This company is scamming people.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

When trying to freeze my account I was told I had to have a DR's Note in order to do so. I am disabled and had been working out there but needed to freeze for a personal medical reason. I was told on the phone that my husband could come in with a note signed by me that he could freeze it. When he gets there they then change their mind and state they need a Dr Note to freeze it. Are you serious. I feel that as a disabled person my HIPAA rights were violated and the disability act.

I asked for the manager and was told she was on vacation. I asked if she needed a Dr note to come back to work and was told yes she needed a Dr note to come back after a vacation. Are you kidding me. I have been lied to and lied to. I told them before I even signed my contract I may need to freeze my account for a personal medical reasons and was told, "No problem. Just tell us." I was not told of needing a Dr note or anything else. This is wrong to be lied to and even giving a reason for freezing it. It's none of their business. They didn't need a Dr note before I use a cane and walker. No Dr note needed. They just want the money. I had to give a star in order to submit this. Otherwise it would have no stars.

Planet Fitness expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1994, Planet Fitness is an American gym that expanded into a franchise operation in 2003. Franchisees operate over 1,200 locations across the United States and are currently expanding into Canada and the Dominican Republic. Planet Fitness offers a full array of exercise machines, and many locations offer a selection of fitness classes.

• PF 30-minute Express Circuit: Planet Fitness makes it easy for patrons to complete a full cardio and strength training circuit in half an hour, using ten strength machines and ten cardio machines. A red-light, green-light system alerts those on the circuit when to switch machines.

• $10 membership: Planet Fitness offers a no-commitment $10/month membership option. It includes a T-shirt, unlimited access to one Planet Fitness club and unlimited access to training.

• Black Card membership: Planet Fitness’ Black Card membership is ideal for those who want more than just a basic gym membership. In addition to the benefits of a $10 membership, Black Card members enjoy use of all Planet Fitness franchise locations, unlimited tanning, half price drinks and many more benefits for about $20 a month.

• Free pe@pf service: Planet Fitness offers a program called pe@pf, which offers the benefits of a grown-up physical education course. Certified trainers will educate you on fitness equipment and routines and help you set goals appropriate for your current fitness level.

• Member perks: Every member can participate in Pizza Mondays and Bagel Tuesdays.

• Best for: fitness beginners and those who need a supportive gym environment.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

Planet Fitness Company Information

www.planetfitness.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use