3.5/5 (763 ratings)

About Planet Fitness

Planet Fitness Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Planet Fitness?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Planet Fitness?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2022

I am thoroughly pleased with my PF experience. My club is in Chapel Hill and the staff are courteous and professional. Huge shout to (and hope they promote him) Elijah. He always makes me feel welcomed and valued as a customer/client. And PF should clean up their cancellation policy. My daughter had a similar experience after leaving for college. They don't make it easy and meanwhile keep taking from your bank account.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

A customer's ability to cancel their membership is riddled with hurdles. You are not allowed to call/email the club to cancel. You must either be physically present (which is impossible if you've recently moved) or send a physical note requesting cancellation which the office can just claim to have not received. DO NOT RECOMMEND joining unless they fix such anti-consumer policies.

Get buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

Good luck with the horrible customer service. Oh also, if you want to get out from underneath the contract you have to physically go into the location (not possible if you've moved) or send them a certified letter (costs you more time and money). Couldn't recommend a gym less.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2022

Went to Planet Fitness to sign up for a membership. Found out that they require two forms of payment. 1st form is they want your checking account info for payment and then they want a credit card for a back up payment, they try and get you to believe this is for your convenience. Yea with all the computer scams out there nobody's bank info is safe. It's bad enough you give them your credit card info too. At least with a credit card you would have more control over your account. Hard to believe they have not been sued over this practice. I can't believe people would just throw their bank info out there like that. Planet Fitness could only be a dollar a month. I will never be a member.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2021

So, I joined in October because it seemed affordable while looking for a job. 10 bucks a month no problem. However, the late fees, 1 one day late I might add, bring that up to 25 dollars and then after two months of membership I get an annual fee of 40 bucks. Long story short from October to December for a membership I got for it's affordability instead of the 30 I had planned on I got over 100 dollars charged.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2021

I have been going back and forth with this place for nearly 6 months after they allowed my minor child to sign up for a membership telling him to lie about his birthdate online. Never one time did anyone in my family ever step foot inside of any of their clubs but yet they refused to stop charging us. So for over 6 months we were being stolen from and there was nothing I could do to stop them. Even after speaking to their customer service via e-mail they refused to cancel and continued to charge after telling them the whole story about their staff instructing my son to lie about his age. Finally they say the charges have been stopped but I don’t believe it they even charged after telling me they were cancelled. DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR BANK INFORMATION. They will help themselves to your money!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2021

Planet “fitness” was ABSOLUTELY, by Far, the WORST “gym” I’ve ever joined!!! DO NOT join them because they “ARE” cheap; because YOU get EXACTLY what YOU pay for——-CHEAP!!! They treat their “gyms” like libraries; where THEY don’t want YOU to make the slightest sound when YOU “try” to get a good workout in. There IS NO WAY in HELL YOU can get in shape by joining this “gym.” If ANY of YOU have 1/2 a brain; YOU’d be MUCH BETTER off going somewhere else.———Lance Corporal R. ** U.S. Marines

Original review: Dec. 10, 2021

My billing information was put in wrong by the staff member. When I was charged monthly, I was charged a late payment as well. So it was a pile of charges. My keycard wouldn't work either. I left several messages for the manager to contact me. Months went by after me constantly asking for the manager, I got no return calls and no help. You can't call a 1800 number. It will not work. You have to go to the gym because it's franchises. When I finally talked to the manager she was extremely rude and moody.

Also, I used the tanning beds and they are disgusting. So I did a survey saying how bad it was with pictures. Hair and scum all around the bottom of the stand up beds. Well would you like to know the tasteless response I got,,,, my membership canceled by the manager herself. She argued with me about my complaints and trying to get in touch with her. The people that work at the gym don't work out or even know how to use the machines, not at this location. Alarms go off with the weights, they don't have all the correct machines, for a beginner it's fine. You're better off paying a real gym.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2021

I recently moved to Florida and contacted Planet Fitness to cancel my membership in Indiana, thinking it would be a simple process of making a call or sending an email. Nope. Instead, you have to either stop by the gym (not an option at this point), or send a written letter via USPS. No faxes, calls, or emails allowed. Such a ridiculous process. I had thought I might consider rejoining at a PF in our new home area at some point, but now that will never ever happen because of this policy that is clearly designed to bilk customers out of as much money as possible.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2021

They will not allow you to cancel online or by phone. They make you MAIL A LETTER. Even after I mailed the letter, they continued to charge. This is an absurd and predatory policy that should be illegal.

Planet Fitness author review by Joey Thurman

Founded in 1994, Planet Fitness is an American gym that expanded into a franchise operation in 2003. Franchisees operate over 1,200 locations across the United States and are currently expanding into Canada and the Dominican Republic. Planet Fitness offers a full array of exercise machines, and many locations offer a selection of fitness classes.

• PF 30-minute Express Circuit: Planet Fitness makes it easy for patrons to complete a full cardio and strength training circuit in half an hour, using ten strength machines and ten cardio machines. A red-light, green-light system alerts those on the circuit when to switch machines.

• $10 membership: Planet Fitness offers a no-commitment $10/month membership option. It includes a T-shirt, unlimited access to one Planet Fitness club and unlimited access to training.

• Black Card membership: Planet Fitness’ Black Card membership is ideal for those who want more than just a basic gym membership. In addition to the benefits of a $10 membership, Black Card members enjoy use of all Planet Fitness franchise locations, unlimited tanning, half price drinks and many more benefits for about $20 a month.

• Free pe@pf service: Planet Fitness offers a program called pe@pf, which offers the benefits of a grown-up physical education course. Certified trainers will educate you on fitness equipment and routines and help you set goals appropriate for your current fitness level.

• Member perks: Every member can participate in Pizza Mondays and Bagel Tuesdays.

by Joey Thurman Fitness and Nutrition Advisor

Joey Thurman is a nationally recognized and spin certified health, fitness, nutrition expert and television host He is the author of "365 Health and Fitness Hacks That Could Save Your Life." His work has been featured in publications such as Men’s Health, U.S. News and World Report, NPR, People Magazine, Shape, NY Post, Fitness Magazine, ‪Women's Health and many more.

Planet Fitness Company Information