2.22/5
Based on 188 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

866 Planet Fitness Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I joined the gym online, then proceeded to the gym for the walkthrough, (was very excited)! When I arrived at the Westminster MD gym, the girl and guy at desk only wanted to scan my membership card which I didn’t have yet. The girl sighed really hard when I told her I just joined online. She rudely told me that my daughter couldn’t be on the premises.

She is 12. It was not necessary for her to be mean. Then they just stood there looking at me asking me to leave! Not even a friendly greeting or, "I’m so sorry but your child has to leave," and they refused to give me a tour. I walked out the door but thought, if they are not this nice do I really want to come here? I turned around and told them I decided I didn’t want to be a member, the girl nastily stated I would have to pay $59. I said for what, I just joined less than a hour and half ago online. Finally a guy jumped in and canceled my membership for free. They were not welcoming nor nice at all! Would not recommend this place to anyone!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

Signed up for a membership, I have had a membership with PF in the past and was very straightforward. In June I signed a new Black Card contract for $21.99 per month. I was billed on the 17th of the month and then received a bill for $39. I called PF and was told this was an annual fee which is charged to lock the monthly rate for life and to pay the payment processing company. I was also informed this was part of my contract and this fee is billed two months after the contract is signed. Shame on me for not reading this in the contract, but furthermore, shame on PF for this type of billing behavior. Be forewarned before signing this contract. It is unfortunate PF management believes this is good for business.

Get expert buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

When I joined Planet Fitness last year I was attracted by the low cost and "judgement free" theme. My experience has been pretty negative. I've gone primarily to the ones in Stratham, NH and Amesbury, Mass. Stratham is extremely overcrowded, particularly in the winter. Amesbury is less crowded but very dated and staffed with young kids who are unprofessional and rude. I find that some people who go to this gym take fitness seriously, but many do not. You'll see people lighting up cigarettes in the parking lot, coming in off the street to use the bathroom, and the staff is horribly unprofessional.

If you live on the NH Seacoast and don't mind crowds, the one in Stratham is the nicest. The one in Amesbury is pretty creepy and dirty. I'd avoid it if you want a serious workout with a fitness-oriented crowd. I switched back to my old gym Vanguard Key Club, which is only slightly more money and worth every extra penny for the nicer atmosphere and crowd of people.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I had really unpleasant experience today at PF South Burlington VT location. Apparently one of the staff members, Ericka, told manager how I went behind front desk and started hydromassage bed by myself while she was away doing errands (few weeks ago). So manager pulled me on a side today soon as I got to the gym and with very mean attitude told me 'If you do that again, I will cancel your membership.' I was blindsided, didn't even had a chance to think of what happened. I remember saying 'I would never go behind front desk and do such thing.' I was very shocked with manager's attitude.

Last thing I need to hear after long working day is someone blame me for something I didn't do. I challenge manager/district manager/owner of this franchise to check camera footage and find out who is telling truth, me or Ericka, staff member. Why would Ericka do such thing? I assume because I asked her nicely to refill paper towel dispenser twice in last couple weeks and maybe she didn't feel like doing it. If so, I apologize for bringing that up, I will never ever mention something like that again.

I thought message: 'At Planet Fitness, we're here to provide a unique environment in which anyone – and we mean anyone – can be comfortable...' is true. What I experienced today from manager (and obviously Ericka) is far from that! I am member of this gym for a long time and no one ever threaten me before or made me feel unwanted. What happened with 'Thumb up' policy PF has?!? This goes beyond words!

Message to the owner of this franchise - if you find me on cameras behind front desk, I am offering to pay fine in the amount equal to annual Black Card membership (which I have), as an apology for what I did! If you find out I've been accused for something I didn't do, I am asking for manager to resign from her position, become regular staff and have assistant manager take over her managing duties. Cause manager should NEVER accuse member without having proof 100% - even then, I am still MEMBER, there HAS to be way to solve things peacefully. At the end, without us, members, this gym wouldn't exist! If manager simply asked me if I did it or not, instead of threatening me with canceling membership, I might had chance explain her that hydromassage bed was 'paused' when I got there, all I did is hit 'play' button.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I had 3 memberships with Planet Fitness and when we signed up for the gym online, we checked not to have our memberships automatically renewed. Our memberships were to expire on 4/30/2018. My account continued to get charged for a total of 337.62. I have repeatedly called the gym and the first time I spoke with a manager, she stated that she was sorry for what has happened and that she was putting in for a full refund. To no avail, it has been over 2 months and still nothing. Every time I call the home gym I get the run around and they tell me that the manager is not available and that she would call me back. I have never received a call back.

Today I emailed the area manager and she stated that I was never told that I would get a refund, which I was told several times that the refund request was out in. Planet Fitness is a franchise and it is privately owned. So when you call the customer service phone number they automatically switch you to the home club. The home club that is in question is in Bensonhurst Brooklyn, on 86th st and 20th ave. Something needs to be done about Planet Fitness because I have read and understand that I am not the first person with this type of problem. Planet Fitness needs to get their act together because they are not professional at all and their customer service is ridiculous.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Planet Fitness?

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

While I enjoy the Planet Fitness facilities and location the management by Louis is deplorable. This guy is more interested in flirting with female recruits than customer service. The turnover rate for employees is high as a result of his inability to manage. I had an issue where I was charged online and in the gym. When I brought it to his attention he said he would look into it. Weeks went by with no resolve of the matter. I would ask him daily with him saying that he hadn't had a chance to look into the matter, but upon entering the gym to workout I couldn't help but notice that he seem to have all the time in world to flirt with new female recruits. This guy is the worst not realizing that it is his job to resolve matters timely.

I would recommend the gym as it is a friendly culture but if you ever have to deal with Louis in a customer service aspect, good luck as it seems to be not within his grasp. The matter was never resolved even though I showed him where it taken out of [2] different bank account [2] days apart. He is the worst representative PF could have as management and brand.

Original review: July 31, 2018

Unlimited Guest Privileges To Any PF Location Not at the Phenix City, Al location. If you join thinking your guest will have the same privileges as you the Black Card Member you will be disappointed. Of course I was told, "Your son will have the same privileges as you", I even went with my sister before deciding and was treated to the same privileges as she but that was the lie and of course I signed. So it seems that they can change their mind even with a contract being signed. I even spoke to David the Executive of Planet Fitness over the Phenix City location and he lied as well. Please do not join if you think your guest will be treated with the same privileges as you. They just want more money to continue to pay the 6 or 7 extra employees standing behind the desk with nothing to do.

Original review: July 28, 2018

When I brought my first guest into the gym with me I was told that my guest could only use the workout equipment and not use any of the extras that I pay for with my black membership! This was never mentioned to me when I signed up. This is a scam and terrible customer service.

Original review: July 26, 2018

There should be a way we can get billed instead of directly taking it out of your account. A letter is not sent to remind you of payment on the 17th of each month. The gym was closed for a month and yet we are already paying the 40.00 fee for the year and the payment shouldn't be required until September 2018. Poor management skills and accounting on the business aspect of the customer's membership.

Original review: July 21, 2018

When I upgraded to the Black Card for Planet fitness, I was told by Laura that the first month (July) would be free. I also had a free month code anyway because I am a BenefitHub member as well. Well a few weeks later I was charged anyway. So I called and spoke to Timothy and explained the situation and also advised that I spoke to Laura and even gave him the reference # for that call. Timothy put me on hold and transferred me to a supervisor without telling me I was being transferred.

I spoke to a supervisor Gabriella who was extremely rude and told me I was being sarcastic after I explained the situation and told her I didn't know I was being transferred. She then got very hostile and said that she can hang up since she feels like I'm disrespecting her. So she hung up in my face and I called back to speak to a different supervisor but I spoke to another agent named Devon who put me on hold for 7-10min. He got back on the line and said sorry for the brief hold and that I need to call back Monday when a different supervisor is working to get help with my bill. Then he hung up in my face. Most horrible customer service I ever received. The agents were yelling and irate and I remained calm the whole time. Definitely would not recommend this gym to anyone. You will be wrongfully charged. You will not get any help if you need it.

Original review: July 19, 2018

They say there is no contract yet don't allow you to cancel. I called to cancel, they have a record of that, yet they continued to charge my credit account. After I stopped payment on that account they charged another account, I don't know how they got that. I have not used the facility since probably February and called to cancel in April, yet they continue to charge through July. Very crude.

Original review: July 19, 2018

My sister decided to join Planet Fitness in Casper, Wyoming. We were told we would be charged upfront for starting fees. That was fine. The first month there was two charges of $39.00 from my account one membership for me and one for my sister. Then in early July there was two charges of $22.00 out. Then later in July there were two charges of $30.00 out of my account. This caused me to be overdrawn because this was not in my budget. I called them and was told they had to charge me this since we just started. I will be canceling these accounts. It was not explained to us very well as to how they charge when we joined. I warn you to get everything in full writing and make sure you are explained how they charge you and why. I thought I understood. My sister said she thought so too.

Original review: July 18, 2018

When I joined Planet Fitness, I was ensured that the "Lunk" alarm was just urban legend, and that the gym was a "judgment free zone". This is in fact not true at all. If you want to lift hard and improve and get strong, this is not the gym for you. The lunk alarm is real, and they do not care about judgment free zones for normal men and women who want to be stronger and feel safe while working out. They make sure the insecure, nonprogressing members feel "safe" while sitting on the same smith rack for 2 hours on their phone.

The last straw for me was when planet fitness banned a woman for not being comfortable with a man changing in the locker room with her. She felt unsafe. I am not willing to give money to a company who so easily compromises its member's safety under the guise of "acceptance". I hope you read this review and realize that you should stop pandering to less than 5% of the population who doesn't identify as either male or female. I will be encouraging all of my friends and families to switch gyms as well.

Original review: July 12, 2018

My wife paid for a membership while living in Crowley Tx and continued to pay for over 6 months after moving and didn't go once in the six months. Both she and I have tried to cancel the membership over the phone and were told that we had to show up in person to cancel. So I finally got the time to drive an hour to take care of it only to be told that my wife (who is physically unable to go) has to do it.

Original review: July 11, 2018

Joined this gym a year ago because I travel and they are in all my areas. Make no mistake, this gym sells too many memberships. I go mid/late morning (10:30ish) because it's not peak time at all. They cater to the relaxed gym goer but everyone joins, no bench presses and only 3-4 smith presses so they are always in use with a wait in line, people sitting on this equipment texting and playing on their phones, nobody says anything at all. 1 preacher board always in use, 2 cable machines always in use...

I couldn't even imagine this gym during any kind of peak time. If you want to cycle, spin, tread there are plenty of those available but for a good work out there are better gyms that don't oversell memberships. I've been waiting for a nearby to my home location to open to see if it would be any better and it's worse... went in Saturday AM (10:00ish) and there was a line out the door to scan in and the front desk area was packed with people coming in. As long as I was there, the place was packed and not the cycles, treadmills etc... everyone trying to work out on limited equipment... I will more than likely go back to my prior gym.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I've been going to PFsince Feb and love it! The managers are always so pleasant and helpful! When I had billing issues Ester sat down and went over things with me! Mark, the owner, never has and issue with talking to clients and making everyone feel welcome. The trainers push you to do your best. Always clean and prompt! I being friends with me all the time and hear how amazing the Dover De PF is! Thanks for everyone's hard work there and your professionalism.

Original review: July 9, 2018

My husband got me a membership in 2017 for Christmas and gave them his bank account. Now that he stopped paying mine because they did not correct the bank Information when it got changed they are holding me responsible but I’m not the one who opened account. This is absurd! I will never refer this gym (Planet Fitness Nine Mile Rd Pensacola) to anyone let alone pay this bill.

Original review: July 2, 2018

THEY BOUGHT NEW EQUIPMENT AND NOW TV DOES NOT HAVE RECEPTION, JUST STATIC. Have complained many times and was told they are working on it. But no results. Only machine that has clear sound is the hand bike because it has an adapter that is not built into the machines. Life Fitness equipment does not work with the TV. Supposed problem is nationwide is what I was told!!!

Original review: June 22, 2018

I have tried canceling this multiple times. I've sent a certified letter requesting the cancellation and I'm still charged. They are charging an old bank account that I no longer use that is still going through. I am not going to pay their fees for trying to cancel. They are a scam and they take advantage of their customers by making them jump through hoops to cancel a gym membership. It should not be this difficult to do. It's bad customer service.

Original review: June 21, 2018

This Planet Fitness Coachella CA location doesn’t honor their own contracts as it pertains to #3. Membership - (G). Unfortunately they favor some members over others. Not Good. In an attempt to share a machine today with another member they simply said No. They’d been on it one-hour already. Reporting to a staff member she attempted to tell them but to no avail. Zero curiosity here. Discrimination as well. Try anywhere else where they treat members equally.

Original review: June 18, 2018

Do not join! It's a trap! When I joined, they pitched me the one year membership, cancel at any time, etc. Even said I could log in and manage my account online. LIES! When I logged in online, I selected the option for my account to not automatically renew at the end of my year's contract. Apparently that means nothing. Unless you send a certified letter or go down to the gym in person to be hassled and pressured by their managers, you are NOT allowed to cancel, and the staff is so rude on the phone. Will NEVER recommend to anyone.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I got a membership some time ago at the Fort Wayne Indiana Planet Fitness. They claim to have no contract no hassle membership. On 7/31/2017 I had my first of two failed back surgeries and have repeatedly called and sent letters by mail to cancel my membership. I am still being charged monthly for membership I am unable to use. I was told that memberships can’t not be canceled over the phone, not only am I being charge but so is social security, because SilverSneakers pays for my basic membership, I pay for the extra black card membership. Every month $9.99 comes out of my checking account which doesn’t seem like a lot, but me being on social security disability, it is quite a lot for a service I am unable to use and that money can have been used to pay medical bills etc.

For 15 months Planet Fitness has pocketed $149.85 of my personal money, and whatever they are charging SilverSneakers. For a company that claims to have no contracts and no hassle policy, it is impossible for someone who no longer drives due to health reasons to stop them from continuing to take $9.99 from my checking.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I went to PF mid-April to cancel my membership. The dark haired, young girl with glasses told me I had to wait until May 4th to cancel. I assured her I did not sign up for a membership on that date, and she argued that I did. How do I know I didn’t sign up? May 4th is my birthday. The LAST thing I would be doing on my birthday is signing up for a gym membership. She told me I needed to come back. Work and life got busy. I came back June 11. I had already been charged the yearly equipment fee which is fine. The woman at the desk gladly canceled my membership, and she asked me why I was canceling.

I told her the gym is always too busy, and I got another gym membership. She then informed me I came one day late, and they will be charging me for the month of June. (I was there 6 days before my membership payment is due!!!) June 10 was a Sunday, so I’m not even sure the one day mattered. When I get my cancellation email it states canceling reason of “No time- Too busy- No usage.” I don’t remember telling her ANY of those reasons. Then, I look to see my original membership date was APRIL 4! So, I could have canceled when I ORIGINALLY wanted to and saved $60 in the process (May/June membership + equipment fee). Extremely frustrated!! Thanks PF!!

Original review: June 14, 2018

I just want to start by saying that I was completely naive when it came down to the actual decision to come to Planet Fitness. By far the most immoral company I have ever dealt with. Just this morning I went in, was curious to check it out, seduced by the promise of low monthly fees and quickly figuring out why on my “tour”. Anyway, I didn’t care about the lack of weights. I was just there to run on the treadmill anyways. So, after my “tour” with caution I agreed to the $10 membership and paid all of my fees upfront - in cash because I did not have my bank info on me (luckily) or I’m sure I’d be out of a lot more.

I paid the $40 upfront just THIS MORNING, and came home and did the thing I should have done before even going there, read these reviews... of people being ripped off and overcharged and double charged and continuous nonstop charges after membership cancelation. So, with bearing that in mind, I got in my car, a few hours after just paying the start up costs PLUS a month in advance for not having my bank information on me at the time, I went back to Planet Fitness, spoke to the manager and explained it just wasn’t what I wanted and cancelled my membership.

I later asked about a refund of my $40 because I did not even touch their equipment once, and cancelled just a few hours after paying. They said “no” and said it was in their policy (that they don’t give you a copy of by the way.) HUGE RED FLAG, that was non-refundable. Really? Because that wasn’t in the contract that I read. Also, what about the extra $10 you charged me for a month in advance? I can’t even get THAT back? Absolutely disgusted by the sheer ignorance of this company. They are complete rip offs. Money hungry and there’s no excuse for this. I didn’t even have a membership for 3 hours and they still refused to refund my money plus the extra they charged.

It’s a bad place anyways! They give you free pizza. They have candy at the desk. It’s a GYM. Why would you push poor eating habits on people trying to improve their health and well-being? Not only are they absolute rip offs but they have some of the most idiotic rules I have EVER heard of. They call it a “judgement free zone” yet if you break any one of their dozens of rules, they sound a loud alarm and publicly shame and humiliate you and escort you out. I have heard nothing but terrible things. I have experienced nothing but terrible things. Just run at the park for free. Save your money, since you’re probably there on a budget anyways, because they WILL suck you dry. Or go to a gym that offers way more and doesn’t have stupid rules and isn’t all about ripping their customers off. It’d rather pay $30-$50 somewhere else and get what I’m paying for, this place is an adult playground. Period.

Original review: June 14, 2018

My daughter signed up with Warminster Planet Fitness. She went to discuss the double charges. When her account was charged TWICE they (planet fitness) caused an overdraft fee of $28.00 charged to her account. When my daughter asked to manager for the refund- she said -"oh that's your bank." Here are facts and you decide. Planet Fitness charged her the $39 once (which I have proof that the dollars exited my account) then again charged $39 which I have proof again that the dollars exited my account--the second one caused an overdraft fee of $28.00 which Planet Fitness denied...then after ALL of that - they refunded the $39 to her account and said OPPS but still won't admit it or refund it...

Planet Fitness- if you read this- your accounting department is inferior and I employ EVERYONE to check to make sure they did not make the same mistake with your account... They only admit to it when they get caught and please don't dismiss a child just because you think she is not smart enough to figure you out...so sorry everyone-I just want to protect you.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I joined Planet Fitness about a year and a half ago. I saw that they had a special price to join because it was a new facility that was opening in Tustin. It was only twenty dollars to join and was even given a cute T-shirt! What a way to get me pumped! The facility included all access to all gyms, no contract and even an unlimited access to water massage beds and tanning booths. I love how clean the gym is and how extremely friendly the staff always is.

My favorite part of the gym is the circuit workout. I always feel good when I finish my workout. I feel it works all of my muscles. Another wonderful thing about this gym is I became pregnant and was put on bedrest and they were very accommodating to let me put my account on hold until I was able to return to my workout routine. I highly recommend this gym for so many reasons. It is an exceptional gym!!

Original review: June 11, 2018

Staff very knowledgeable and friendly. Members are awesome as well. Machines are 75% new. Totally enjoy being a member. But I would like to see more weight (room) equipment, there is roughly room for 6-8 now.

Original review: June 11, 2018

Planet Fitness is a wonderful gym. I have tried four or five other gyms over the years. This is the best gym experience. It is open 24/7 the staff is always nice, the place is very clean and there are many machines to use. It never feels crowded, I have never had to wait to use equipment. I highly recommend Planet Fitness.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Fell asleep at Planet Fitness, Ok well I broke my neck 6 years ago.. after a year and half of medications during the years of 2014-16 I would go to Planet Fitness in the early morning hours when no one was there except a few and the guys (employees) at night would give me extra time on hydro beds and coins for massage chair. I was woken up 7-8 AM by the whole squad of local P.D where I was arrested for public intox. The employee was a woman who didn't like men that much wink wink - so I guess she never liked me as I would ask for ONE extra coin when she was working. She didn't like giving me time on the hydro bed, even though I was aware of other people coming to the chair, as there are two!

I was denied a blood test and a breath. I had to sit in a cell for 12 hours. PF has caused me to suffer from agoraphobia and it is very hard to walk to the local Rite Aid for milk. The H.R division def needs a review on their company LOGO - judgement free zone, hardly... sad and any other person, older, younger... would have just got tapped on the shoulder kinda like what I do when I go to church with my dad's best friend when he falls asleep. I was arrested on 6/16/16. I like to spread holistic awareness to remain well in life... a lot of other ways to limit pain and what not. Best wishes to all. DON'T FALL ASLEEP! Even if it's for 10 min. : / I have all these extra coins that was returned to me along with a ticket that I did not pay, had a warrant out for my arrest, had to spend more on costs and fines... Over drafted my bank account because of that... Ended up winning in court, all charges dropped and withdrawn.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Would like to see better ab equipment in all of the locations, particularly the crunch machine, and stop the loud music, as some of the locations, I do not visit because of this. Most people wear headphones these days anyway, so why have the music sooooo loud, since not all the folks may like what you are playing. On the days that food is given, so nice, but pizza really, when you are trying to help people lose weight? What about fruit, veggies, and healthful bars instead of bagels... Thanks so much.

Planet Fitness expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1994, Planet Fitness is an American gym that expanded into a franchise operation in 2003. Franchisees operate over 1,200 locations across the United States and are currently expanding into Canada and the Dominican Republic. Planet Fitness offers a full array of exercise machines, and many locations offer a selection of fitness classes.

• PF 30-minute Express Circuit: Planet Fitness makes it easy for patrons to complete a full cardio and strength training circuit in half an hour, using ten strength machines and ten cardio machines. A red-light, green-light system alerts those on the circuit when to switch machines.

• $10 membership: Planet Fitness offers a no-commitment $10/month membership option. It includes a T-shirt, unlimited access to one Planet Fitness club and unlimited access to training.

• Black Card membership: Planet Fitness’ Black Card membership is ideal for those who want more than just a basic gym membership. In addition to the benefits of a $10 membership, Black Card members enjoy use of all Planet Fitness franchise locations, unlimited tanning, half price drinks and many more benefits for about $20 a month.

• Free pe@pf service: Planet Fitness offers a program called pe@pf, which offers the benefits of a grown-up physical education course. Certified trainers will educate you on fitness equipment and routines and help you set goals appropriate for your current fitness level.

• Member perks: Every member can participate in Pizza Mondays and Bagel Tuesdays.

• Best for: fitness beginners and those who need a supportive gym environment.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

Planet Fitness Company Information

www.planetfitness.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business