3.9/5 (822 ratings)

About 24 Hour Fitness

24 Hour Fitness Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 24 Hour Fitness?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about 24 Hour Fitness?

Original review: April 16, 2020

This is is regarding the 24 Hour Fitness location in Pearland, Texas. I called and cancelled my MONTHLY membership in early March and they still charged my credit card. I cancelled again via their website on March 15 and they confirmed that my membership was cancelled and they charged a full months membership to my credit card FOR A SECOND TIME on April 15. I do not have a contract, only monthly membership with option to cancel at any time. The problem is they will keep charging you until you die, they will not let you cancel. All their offices are closed and their money train is still coming in. I will NEVER USE THEM AGAIN. PEOPLE ARE LAID OFF AND THEY ARE STEALING! YOU OWE ME $ 90 NOW 24 HOUR FITNESS.

Original review: April 14, 2020

The best part is their pool. I also like the recumbent bikes. They have spin classes, senior classes and so much more. The people who work there are very professional. I like the steam room, the dry sauna and whirlpool.

Original review: April 9, 2020

Great economical choice for a full service gym. My location is personally not kept up with great, but it has all I need for a really good price. Classes are minimal here but I've seen other locations have great classes and schedule.

Original review: April 8, 2020

I mainly go to the Meyerland location in Houston. Most of the front desk staff are friendly, but I have been going here for YEARS (over a decade) and they cannot seem to empty the trash cans! They are usually overflowing and I almost always have to ask them to empty the trash and refill paper towel dispensers, which is very annoying. Over the years, several of their cardio equipment almost always malfunctions (treadmill, elliptical, and stair-step machines). The machines themselves are pretty clean.

Original review: April 5, 2020

My experience with my home gym here is not a good one. Most cardio machines are broken with signs on them for years stating that they are non-operational. While the staff is friendly the company needs to make the investment and do annual maintenance.

Original review: April 3, 2020

This place closes their doors in mid March due to COVID-19. And still keep charging membership and there is no way to contact them. It's terrible business practice when you are closed keep charging customers. "Members will receive additional days of access equal to the number of days paid for while the clubs were closed in your area. That extension will apply at the end of the membership." This info from their website. I don't need to apply anything to end of the membership when you are not operating now. No more business with this company.

Original review: April 1, 2020

Before the pandemic began, my partner and I have been saving up for our home gym, buying pieces little by little, doing so to save money on our expensive 24 membership. We are finally finished and want to cancel our account, but the timing of everything means we have to continue paying the $80 membership... because they closed their call centers. This is honestly infuriating. What kind of business just ignores reality and shuts their phones off, yet continues to take your money? It really feels like they're stealing our money, and in these tougher times with people losing their jobs and not working, they just decide to ignore it and close their call centers and services?

My partner is an infantry veteran and union worker - out working overtime in all of this, and is now having his hard-earned money eaten by this company... and they have will get away with it! What are they gonna do, refund everyone's money or give us the months back free? Impossible, they'd be bankrupt. I feel this is completely unethical.

Their automated message said they are doing everything they can to help their employees... and then finished with "we have decided to close our call centers." Not only are they stealing our money, but they laid off all of those employees. How is that helping them? Now when they reopen, they are going to have to deal with infuriated customers for a long time in the aftermath. There is currently no contact options for presently dealt with customer service issues. You can write a letter or an email that won't be looked at until they reopen. What a joke. I feel like people would have called in nicely freezing or cancelling accounts, happily paying the cancellation fees. Now they are going to be calling those centers angrily demanding money upon reopening.

Original review: March 31, 2020

I work at a family owned gym and I’ve lost my job as a personal trainer. I used 24 Hour Fitness as a place that I could work out and not know anyone. Since I can no longer afford 24 hour fitness I was hoping to freeze my account until the gym opened and I was able to return to work. There is no way to contact anybody at 24 hour fitness - their voicemail says that it will be a couple of weeks after they re-open their doors before they can respond to emails. I called my bank, put a stop payment on 24 hour fitness for the next 12 months. I am appalled at how a nationwide company is treating its members. There is zero ways of communicating with this company. They said they canceled their call centers due to COVID-19 - what’s wrong with people responding to emails from home that is on their staff? I will never use this gym again nor will they get another penny from me.

Original review: March 31, 2020

This place closes their doors in mid March due to COVID-19. During this closure, the terrible facility I had a membership to charged me the monthly fee. This is ridiculous; taking my money, which is sparse right now, to 'attend' a facility that is not even open is criminal. Because of the negligence of this company I recommend to NEVER get a membership here. Go to Anytime, LA, or literally anywhere.

Original review: March 30, 2020

Plain and simple we are in a global health crisis with COVID-19 while Americans are dealing with layoffs and fighting to stay healthy - 24 Hour Fitness is still charging their customers FULL price each month ($56!) as their GYM IS SHUT DOWN due to COVID. My phone calls, emails, and Tweets - NO ANSWER! This means customers like myself cannot cancel/freeze an account or even speak to someone. This is unacceptable and I will continue to reach out to 24 hr fitness and also get in touch with others who feel the same as me until something gets done.

Original review: March 29, 2020

24 hours Fitness auto payment still going on even though the clubs are closed for an unknown amount of time. No one is answering their phones to cancel the membership and you don't have an option to cancel online. You can't even email them. I think this is fraudulent and unethical, don't you think? Banks are hardly answering their phones either (I was on hold for 2 hrs.) to be able to dispute fraudulent charges!!!! This is my experience so far. This is starting to become quite scary. I never liked this auto payment system anyway. PLEASE SHARE. WE HAVE TO FIX THIS!!!!

Original review: March 29, 2020

I have a year contract sadly. Given the circumstances I believe they should give me an option to cancel due to loss of employment with the Covid-19 Pandemic. At the very least not charge my credit card during the shutdown. Them extending my membership does not help if they are charging my card when not employed. They will be given money from the stimulus and all their employees are laid off. Will they keep that money also? I’m guessing yes, do to the fact they all already cheating people out of money even after cancellations. Not answering phones is terrible. Customer service calls could still be answered at home if they gave a crap at all. They Don’t!!! I will never come here again after membership cancels.

Original review: March 28, 2020

They're still charging all of us for membership fees! There's no facility for us to use! They're not a charity. They're not the YMCA. I called in mid March to make sure this wouldn't happen. I was assured that it wouldn't. I guess lying is a part of their sales strategy?? And this whole 24GO LIVE nonsense - I YouTube "Yoga with Adrienne" -- I'm not using their wack virtual stuff THAT'S FREE ANYWAYS, too. Watch them say that it was a part of the membership!! I'm never, ever renewing. Plus the facility has been deteriorating as it is. The showers are disgusting, all the time. They run out of soap, cleaner/wipes for the machines. Essentially, I'm a swimmer and it's really hard to find an indoor lap pool where I live. I would rather not, at this point. They're totally unclean, unsanitary, sketchy, and steal from people during a pandemic.

Original review: March 27, 2020

I thought that since COVID-19 pandemic hit 24 Hour Fitness would freeze our monthly dues or at least give customers an option. They said in a recent email that our memberships would be extended. I thought that meant for our current month, as we are not able to use the gym during this prepaid cycle. I am shocked that I was charged for the next month as the only service they are currently providing is the ability to use their APP to work out from home. I feel robbed to not have an option of either using the APP, or an option to stop getting charged for future membership (in addition to the previous 2 weeks). I am not happy that they closed their call centers and suspended the ability to cancel membership during this pandemic. It is not the proper way to conduct ethical business.

Original review: March 22, 2020

Unfortunately we are experiencing a global pandemic. The handling of memberships and charging during this time has been very poor. They are still charging accounts all while they are closed. During all of this the company has closed all communication to its customers and totally left us in the dark. This is not how business should be help.

Original review: March 22, 2020

I sent a cancelation March 15 well before the shutdown. They closed their hotline, and decided to keep charging our CCs while they are closed, but giving us free months in the future. Last I checked this wasn’t China. They will lose me in the future too, changing my CC, I hope they go bankrupt.

Original review: March 19, 2020

I went into the club IN PERSON to cancel after calling them originally. I went in well before the COVID-19 shutdown and WELL BEFORE the next billing date. They assured me it was taken care of and I would receive a confirmation email and would no longer be charged. Never received the email, saw the charge on my credit card, and found out that even though I PHYSICALLY WENT IN TO CANCEL MY MEMBERSHIP -- THEY LIED AND NEVER CANCELLED IT AND ARE STILL CHARGING ME MONEY. And now that COVID shutdowns have hit-- they have made themselves COMPLETELY UNAVAILABLE. I had heard bad things about them but gave them the benefit of the doubt. Please don't let yourself get scammed by this terrible company, and take your business elsewhere.

Original review: March 19, 2020

24 Fitness is closed but they still charge membership fees and have changed their website to make it impossible to cancel memberships. I will have to cancel my credit card so I won’t keep getting charged for a service that’s not available. John G.

Original review: March 6, 2020

Absolute nightmare, this company is in the top 5 of the worst slime balls I have had to deal with. First of all they doubled my rate from 100 to almost 200 a year, when we we told rates would never increase. I still have my contract and only wish I had the sales guy put in writing. Bunch of sleazeballs, how does it take 4 hours to make a payment and still not being able to get a receipt????

Second problem is the actual customer service, they have some ** call center in Jamaica, and 90% of them do no speak English. What a bunch of morons starting from corporate office to their call center, 24 Hour used to be Ok, ever since they got bought out few years ago went straight downhill, I have been hung up on about 7 times just trying to get a receipt of my payment, what these ** are doing is ridiculous. They are trying to get of all the members with old cheap memberships. With a a lot of competition in the fitness club industry, these idiots should reconsider how they treat their members. Especially with the money they are making.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2020

I went in the Mountain View Super Sport and have been a member since 1997. I have always paid 29.99 or less, upon my workout the employee or trainer was glaring at me!!!! for reasons unknown!!!! I never did anything wrong. Why is he glaring at me? I had not seen Richard for about 2 months. He was the oldest trainer there. He is about 56 years old. I am 59 years old and will be 60 in August. I was upset and complained to the corporate office and they told me the district manager would get back to me. Days passed and no call. So I cancelled my membership today. I will save my 30 dollars for rising gas prices or food. Not going to be treated this way because I'm older! The club really sucks now. Bodybuilders giving you dirty looks like your a new fish on the prison yard when you cross their path, on the way to the bathroom.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

Once again 24 has raised my annual fee even though I signed up for the lifetime rate of $99 back in 07. They raised it once before and then changed it back after getting sued. Not sure what has changed but I just received a bill of $144. They should uphold their promise. I was told lifetime and now it seems to be untrue.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

I got my Lifetime membership at 2003 and was paying $20 a year. Every year I would get email notification that my account is due, this year I didn't get any notifications nor a letter. So they terminated my account. In 2017 I received Classic lawsuit that 24 hrs was trying to drop all lifetime membership users, lucky they didn't, but they didn't remind me payment was due and they got me out this way.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

I have had numerous poor experiences with 24 Hour Fitness locations in San Diego, including dried blood on the gym floor, a bloody Tampon left in the woman's showers, lack of heating and ac control (icy yoga) and out of order equipment. I've called all of this to the staff's attention, gotten rude attitude, and no improvement in cleanliness. Most recently, after a man called a woman ** in one of the yoga classes, I reported it to the club staff. I called customer service 8 times over 3 months and wrote headquarters to document this. Customer service couldn't do anything (their words), the club GM was rude and insulting, and headquarters and the district manager never got back to me. Don't work out here if your a female or know one.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I call 24 Hour Fitness to cancel my membership after 20 years. They were very rude and hung up in my face. After being told they would cancel my membership. I will never recommend anyone to use this gym.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2020

I have told them for over a month about the bikes been broken, and never been fixed. Yesterday 1/11/2020 was over than 50% of the bikes down, and today 1/12 202 I lost my class because NO GOOD BIKES left, more than 50% was down. So upset, to go back without taking my class. This is in PARAMUS NJ. Gabriela

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

As far as gyms go 24-Hour Fitness is For the Working Class People like myself. I do not expect too much out of a gym. For the price they charge you get a good deal. Gyms are expensive to operate especially if they have Aquatics and Spa. The issue that I have is that a lot of people do not understand the operation of the spa part of the gym. Somewhere in muscle and fitness or Shape magazine they must have made an article that after you get done working out upstairs you go stand in the sauna with all your clothes and your dirty tennis shoes on. This is been going on for the past couple of years or maybe less.

To properly take a sauna you take a shower. Soap shower first. Put on your swimsuit with your flip-flops or shower shoes. Stay in the sauna as long as you can. Take a cold shower and go back into the sauna. Do this approximately 5 times. The people that come down with their street clothes on the stand around in the sauna for 3 minutes and run out very annoying and they track a lot of debris into the sauna because most of them only have one pair of tennis shoes that they used to cut the grass and change the oil in their car. If I was in charge of the club I would not let any Street clothes allowed in a sauna or Spa area swimming. Swimming attire only and showers are a must before hot tub, steam room or sauna.

The good news is if management reads this and enforces it they'll save a ton of money on the chemicals for the spa because you have to use less chemicals because you already taking a shower and your body is clean before you go into the spa area. I do enjoy 24-Hour Fitness I've had my membership there 10 years. I'm not going to change. It's a good value for the money we pay. Aquatics is very expensive to run. I know because I'm in the business. Hope this helps some of you. Just be sure to shower before you go down there and wear your swimming attire. Standing around in the sauna with all your workout gear and Tennis Shoes does nothing for you. It only lets the heat out of the sauna so try to take a sauna as listed above and you really enjoy it. Thank you. Patrick **. Issaquah Washington.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

In 2007 I joined 24 Hour Fitness, with an agreement to have access to all gyms, including super sports. I paid $750 for the first 3 years, and after that my fee would be $29 a year for the rest of my life. This was on the contract I signed back then at the la mirada location. Then in 2015 they raised my fee to $79, which they told me would never happen. I called customer service to remedy, they said according to my contract there was a section that said they can raise the yearly amount, then sent me my agreement in an email, which had been changed to favor their response. The emailed agreement did not have my signature and was different than what I signed. A lawsuit followed and in 2018, they lost, paid back all members wronged and changed back their fee to promised amount.

Next thing that has happened is I get denied access to a supersport near me. I call customer service and inform them that I've been denied access, even though I was promised access to all gyms, including super sports, which was on the original agreement. After being on the phone for almost an hour, no remedy was made and they stuck to their lies about my contract giving me access to only 15 super sports, some which are out of state far far away, which ill never go to. We need to start a new lawsuit for this. Promising access and not granting out just to make a sale is unethical and im sure unlawful, especially when its on a signed contract. This company is unethical and are liars and cheats.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2019

Updated on 02/09/2020: I wrote about out-of-order equipment in December, but none has been repaired or replaced since then. There was a "maintenance" day in January (the 24th). In spite of my expectation that it would fix the unusable equipment that simply occupied space, the next day I found the facility with exactly the same broken machines. What a disappointment! My workout is now quite limited at this gym due to limited availability of equipment.

Original Review: I was shocked to find on December 2, 2019 that the gym is no longer open for 24 hours. It is now closed between 00:00 AM and 04:00 AM. I used to enjoy workout past midnight, but they cruelly removed this unique feature. In addition, at this particular gym, equipment is not necessarily well-maintained. Some of my favorite devices have been out of order for months and there is no indication that they will be repaired or replaced. Staff at the reception counter is usually unfriendly or unresponsive. They seem to be indifferent to equipment failure, and do not take care of a request to replenish paper towels or liquid soaps. Worse, there is often nobody at the reception counter. Maybe no 24 Hour Fitness personnel at all in the building, which is scary. Some 24 Hour Fitness guys are seen in the room, which is used to do paperwork for new members, but they do not seem to be hiding in the room to do business.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2019

I gave This company a 2 star because up until now I enjoyed the gym, I recently moved to Oregon and needed a gym membership. I choose 24 Hr Fitness because I have friends that also attend. I told the representative that I was only joining for a 3month period until my insurance became active on January 1st 2020. On December 18th I was charged an annual fee of $49.99. I thought this may be a mistake so I Questioned the manager Keith at the Clackamas location. He informed me that there are never refunds for the annual fee. They were aware I was only joining for 3 months until insurance was in place. It is not the money that concerns me on matter, it is the unprofessional business manner that was displayed to me. Be fair. This is not a fair Practice.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

I have been a member of 24 Hour Fitness for nearly 20 years. I was attracted 24 Hour Fitness because it was open 24 hours a day. Often I go to the gym late nights/early mornings because I like the quietness of shooting basketball alone or aqua aerobics in the pool. But now that the gym is 20 Hour Fitness I guess I’ll let my membership lapse because of the change of hours. I’m curious to see if they will change the name.

24 Hour Fitness Company Information