Lose weight for good. How much can you lose?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

1.06/5

Boston Sports Clubs Reviews

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

BSC - Newton Highlands, MA. It just sad that while a lot of sports club are trying, to keep up with higher standards and demands, BSC seems to be in a worse position in regards to customer service and management. As a matter of fact we paid a monthly membership for my son while he attended high school. First year, monthly fee was $19.99 based on a student rate. After a year rates went up to $39.99 which we didn't get notification until we were charged monthly. I called and found out that we needed to show a proof that my son was still in high school.

While my son graduated from high school, two months ago, I called to cancel his membership. I was told that I needed to do it in person. My husband went and completed a cancelation form. At that time he met with GM Doug, which he assured him that services were canceled and voided fees. Following month we got charged $39.99 and second for $56.96. I had no choice but to go and speak to someone, after explaining to three staff members I was told to wait and speak to GM.

While I was waiting for Doug, receptionists left so I had to explain again my issue to him. I was shocked to hear his response and asking me to call Nellie another manager next day, as he couldn't do anything. While I asked him to check for cancelation form, he became angry and condescending stating that there was nothing that he could do. Unfortunately, while we are paying for services, customer service is part of that service fee and he as GM failed to meet client's needs and same time maintain the agency customer service standards. That behavior it's unacceptable and will be addressed at a corporate level as well as Business Bureau.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

I was a BSC member in Somerville, MA for more than 3 years. The gym, staff and members were all great. In June of 2019 things changed greatly. The sauna was the most important part of my membership, until young men started using phones in there (below a sign reading 'No Cell Phone Use"). At first I ignored, but realized one evening that photos were being taken by one of the young members. I had only a towel over my shoulder. In fear, I immediately went to staff and demanded that they ask him to exit the sauna and instruct him not to use it in the locker room again. To my enormous surprise the manager denied my request. Staff members refused to do either of those two things, and explained "there is no action we can take". In disbelief I ended my membership right then and there. Photos taken in the Sauna - disgusting!!

Get expert buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 17, 2019

Paid for a year membership, never went. That is fine as it was my choice not to use the benefits. BUT, I was charged with an annual fee (for the upcoming year) 24h ago, which I was not reminded about - just charged! I guess we get reminded of everything except when our credit card is being charged. I contacted three people within 24h (of which 2 are in vacation) to cancel my membership and see if they can make an exception and reimburse the annual fee since I am not planning to continue the membership.

I am thinking on a customer service level if someone was just charged a fee for the upcoming year and is not planning to continue the membership. I don't see why this fee would be non-refundable except that you want to squeeze last dollar you can out of someone that's abandoning your services which is just a TERRIBLE customer service or policy. I was told by Jordan at Wellington location that an exception cannot be made and was reminded of the policy rules. (Sure I remember those rules from 365 days ago).

If your policy is so timid, you should AT LEAST send reminders of annual fee charges, or change the policy to at least make exception within 48h as it is the 21st century we live in, and in a country in which industry is predominantly tertiary and based on customer experience. I worked in various hospitality/service industries for almost 20 years, and exceptions ALWAYS could be made, it's just a matter of a "human" customer service aspect of the business which you certainly lack of.

Original review: June 19, 2019

They lock you in with a flashy online ad of low monthly fee and then hit you with annual membership charges apparently it’s in the fine print. They will make it very easy to sign you up but if you want to cancel you can do that on the phone you have to visit the facility and sign a paper form and pay cancellation charges. Thanks for the frustrating experience BSC Woburn.

Original review: June 3, 2019

They will lock you in with a promo rate and then will raise your membership rate every year, even though your contract does not say they can raise the membership price. The gym had so much equipment that was broken for two months straight in the beginning of 2019 that anyone belonging to the Davis Square BSC was given a passport to go to one of their other gyms in Boston. Tired of them raising the rates without making any improvements to the gym so I wanted to cancel. Was initially told it would be $10 in person, then I was told on the phone that it would be $30. I will be disputing this with my credit card company, because their practices are unethical.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Boston Sports Clubs?

Original review: May 27, 2019

I subscribed to their membership after they sent me a ton of emails for giving me discounts, etc. To be fair, I am a consultant, and I have used their gym only 3-4 times in one year. Now I have moved out of the city, and has asked someone from the membership department “Alexandre **” to cancel my membership. She/he told me that I can only do that in person or with certified letter.

I described that I am not able to come to their offices and that for them to describe the certified letter. It is so funny that they start the membership on an email (after harassing me with a ton of emails to become their member to almost force me to say yes) but that they are unable to cancel on an email. She then suggested that I call them, again. I am not in the states, so I offered to talk earlier ET time, she said she can talk after 1 pm. I had yet emailed back to ask for someone else who can talk earlier since I cannot later, and she never replied back. Really such a fraud driven, terrible customer service.

Original review: May 25, 2019

I called to terminate my membership, but their “policy” is you need to terminate in person or send a certified letter. I opted to terminate in person in the Westborough gym where I joined 3 years prior. I was told by a pleasant woman at the front desk that there was no manager on site, so I would have to come back later in the day or send a letter. I stated this is an outrageous “policy” and the staff member agreed with me. After 15 minutes, a manager came in and assisted in terminating my membership, but not before trying to change my mind. After the song and dance, and having to pay a termination fee, I finally was able to quit this rip-off of a gym. BEWARE: every year they hike your monthly membership fee. If you join this gym, READ your contract very carefully.

Original review: May 23, 2019

I signed a contract like most of you for a so called Premier 19.95 membership and told that it was for life. A year or so later I noticed that they raised the membership. So months past and I finally went to the club and told them of the "mistake" and they promised to put the membership back to the original contractual price, they raised again instead. Then when I tried to cancel the membership the manager Doug threatened to take me to court too if I didn't pay over double the contracted rate. Nowhere in the contract does it say that BSC has the right to raise the membership fee without my consent. These people are crooks and not very smart ones. Several lawyers looked at the contract and agreed by the terms of the contract the membership was suppose to be 19.95. They are now trying to charge me 50. I called the Better Business Bureau and my bank is refunding the overcharge. See you in court you crooks.

Original review: May 18, 2019

Charged for a 4th month of personal training when I had signed up for three months. Was told I didn't give them 30 days notice. Increased membership fee without notice. On previous occasion, membership fee decreased. That change did not go into effect on my membership until I asked for it. No notice of change, no refund. I cancelled my membership. Because 45 days notice is now required (had been 30 days), I'm paying for an additional 15 days--at least that is prorated. I was also charged a cancellation fee of $10.00.

Original review: May 9, 2019

I’ve been a member for 4 years, and within the past two years they do not clean anything!! The place is disgusting and should be put out of business!!! Also I changed payment cards and they would not let me in to the gym because I did not have the existing card even though I’ve been a member for four years, The place is completely gone downhill!

Boston Sports Clubs Company Information