Boston Sports Clubs

Compare Health Clubs

Research top Health Clubs recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

It's the worst BSC you can ever find it!!! It's huge, however poor, dishonest staffs. I walked in with my friend and we wanted to have 3 days trial period! They told us they don't have it! He told us we can sign up for paying $50 and if we don't like it within first week we can cancel it! It has 3 months I still couldn't cancel it and let it stay there!!! I don't care even it goes to collection!!! Staff is not helpful. They will do anything to sign you up! Branch manager Phill wasn't helpful either! So good luck!!! Find yourself a better gym where they can take care of you!!!

To be sure, the main reason I started BSC years ago was its proximity to work, that and the fact that I can use NYSC when I am in New Jersey are the only reasons I still have a membership. Among other things they recently dropped the guest feature of my membership which I would use a few times a month when my partner visited me. We argued at the front desk but were just told there was nothing they could do because it was a rule sent down by "corporate". Likewise, my partner was using NYSC and had been using a trainer there for months - he learned that the trainer was receiving only 30% of what he paid, so he canceled and now sees the same guy at a different gym, saving a lot of money overall.

BSC Lexington was where I started. It was small to begin with, but when they insisted on inserting their green carpeted cross-fit area, the place became a nightmare - you couldn't even move between equipment. In the summers they have a "summer camp" for kids, which absorbs a portion of the already limited parking with an activity area and tent, and they open their outdoor pool to the public, so they are making more money, and mini-vans typically take up every available space at the time I'm getting out of work - and I'm the one with a membership, but of course they don't care if I can't park.

BSC Waltham has only slightly more equipment but the layout is much larger so it's easier to maneuver. Even with the large staff, they're typically just sitting around, meanwhile the locker room has a pile of used towels so high that you're in danger of an avalanche. I was a member at Work Out World for over two years. The location I went to had a LOT of equipment, some older but always well-maintained, locker rooms were gross but not unlike any other gym, and you didn't get a free towel service. But for only $10 per month and a $45-year fee, I could afford to buy a new towel each time I went. I had heard some horror stories about ending the WOW membership as well, but I simply did what they asked and wrote a letter to the company requesting cancellation and it was done - no problems. I'm astonished at the number of complaints about billing issues that some agency hasn't stepped in to do something.

Unlawful, hostile workout environment at the Boston Sports Club. The unprofessional behavior by the staff and gym members. I truly believe this is a political issues and discrimination because no one should be singled out everyone should be treated fairly since I am paying a monthly fee of $68.00. I trained with a personal trainer in 2014 and my sessions was cancelled numerous times. And at one session, another person was training with me on my session that I paid for. And when I check-in at the front desk, the staff has this tendency of touching my hands, constant mocking when I hand over my key card.

It happened for the past year or 2, women in the locker room airing their naked body which is disrespectful. I was attack by one of their members and I believe the person is a staff at the club, I cannot confirm at this time. I truly believe this is discrimination against me. I don't think anyone has the right to harass someone. It is considered a crime. I did report it to the police but the outcome was I do not have enough evidence but the individual has made attempts towards me in the gym. I believe I have all rights to workout at any facilities and not be discriminated. It's unfair, unprofessional. Please address this problem.

My daughter (15) signed up for $29.95 a month and paid the extra $10 to bring a guest. The single rate was $19.95. I went last week and they tell me "we changed the plan... you cannot bring REPEAT guests anymore." Really? Now they won't honor the $19.95 single rate that she could have signed up for!!! They said the new single rate is $29.95. I am furious. Who brings a "different" guest every time they go to the gym! Her guest was typically me... her mother! Besides, the girl at the front desk is RUDE RUDE RUDE!!!

This gym is probably not unique in their practices but they are extremely shady. I joined this gym on February 2015 and paid an annual fee + a membership fee when I signed up. On February 6, 2016, a year later, I was charged the annual fee again and decided to cancel my membership. Here is what I was told: I will not be reimbursed the annual fee, nor will it be prorated. Annual fee is $49.95. I will be charged a cancellation fee of $30.00 at the end of the month.

So I technically have till the end of the month to use the Gym, wouldn't you think it'd make sense to only be charged 1 month of the annual fee, at worst? And what exactly is the cancellation fee for? It seems to me that they are just squeezing as much money out of you as they think they can. As an aside, I was once a couple days late paying my monthly membership fee, which is on auto pay, because of a processing error with my credit card, and they charged me $15.00 which they wouldn't refund.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Boston Sports Clubs?

I called today to cancel my gym membership with Boston Sports Club of Lynnfield MA, I believe I spoke with Dianna. Well I explained I wanted to cancel my membership which is $40 month to month and she asked what my reason for canceling the membership was, I told her I am going to be moving out of state. After I told my reason she stated that I cannot cancel because I am on a 1 year contract, I then stated I never agreed to sign anything and was never told I was on a 1 year contract, I was told it was $40 month to month only. She then states if I am moving out of state I would need to show proof of new out of state address... Well that made me very unhappy because that could takes weeks. Which means they will continue to take my hard earned money out of my bank account which is not fair. If anyone can help please let me know, I was thinking of calling the attorney general's office.

The Wellesley BSC's 'Manager Assistant', Nathan is incredibly rude, superficial, and unprofessional with customers. He abuses his position and treats customers poorly as if to boost his own ego and to try to assert some sort of power that he clearly does not have. He is very picky and watches specific customers over their shoulders. We just don't feel it is a friendly or safe environment anymore like it was many years ago. The management situation of the club has gotten worse and worse and the cost, renewal fees, and double-charging for accounts makes me feel that it is NOT worth it to stay as a member. From the way the management acts, they neither care nor want any customers anymore. We will be quitting, encourage other members to stand up, and warn non-members to stay away.

I wanted to cancel my membership, they told me, I have to pay $29 for cancellation. I noticed them 1 month earlier. I complained because at time of contract they said me if I noticed them 1 month earlier it's ok. My contract was $39 every months addition to membership. I think this behavior is not good for your company. I think you are cheating members and take money for any reason.

On April 15, 2015, I saw club manager Bill ** in his office for the purpose of ending my BSC Lexington membership. He reminded me the club has a 30-day cancellation policy and my membership would be billed through May 31, 2015. I said fine, and left the office believing my membership had been cancelled. I got billed for May and paid it. I got billed for June and paid it by mistake. I got billed for July and called MasterCard to contest charges.

I have since called the club three times and have been back there in person three times. In the visits both Ashley ** and Bill ** have told me I should not have been charged for June and July, but that since I had disputed the charges they could do nothing to reverse the charges, and that it was now between the credit card company and their corporate headquarters. Corporate headquarters is denying I have been overcharged and are even dunning me over the phone for being delinquent. I'm not sure this story is over yet. Anyone signing a membership agreement for this company should be very careful.

The facilities are not bad. You have enough resources to do what you need to do. The reason I am giving a poor review was due to their customer service on billing inquiries. I had to move out the Bedford/Lexington, MA area and it is a nightmare to cancel your membership with them. They will not stop the monthly charge. I had to pay a visit in person. When I tried to speak to Ashley, the account manager of the Lexington site over the phone, it is very unresponsive and not resolving my issue. My account has been closed and 4 weeks later they just charged $150 dollar on my account for no reason. No explanation and no heads-up about it. Hoping that I will not read my credit card bill statements so they can get away from it. That's my experience with Boston Sports Club (BSC) at this location. Just keep in mind guys.

I have been a member of Boston Sports Clubs for 5 years. I loved it till last Friday. The story starts in March when we had some session left over from the 8 that I had that month. She told me that I need to sign for them and she just put them in the bank and honor them later. Well she miss another 3 session and then was sick before she could train on the 3 that expired making my total now five. She now miss another 4 due to a Dr appointment being sick, holidays- her boyfriend coming into town etc. It become an excuse after another. So we were up to 8 session. She thought it was six but it was 8. When I showed her the proof it was 8 she started to become very angry at me, so much so that I asked her to stop as we had already wasted 15 mins of my 1 hour session.

I said "never mind, I just let management deal with it." At this point she screams at me, "I train you 8 but get a new trainer." Then she said "I give you 10 if you do not go online." At this point it already gone from bad to worst. I walk out to that. She said "I have to give these to you as no one else can get paid on it." I said "I want nothing to do with you." She said, "Fine, don't come to my classes and also you think about leaving the club as they never get rid of me," and run and get my bag. On the way out she responds "Oh look at the little piggy. Going to eat her feeling in red velvet cupcakes onk onk onk. You will come crawling back to me as a big old fatty." At this point I run to management and tell her the story. All I did was question her on what I had it was 8 and she did not want to give them to me. In the 3 years I know her I never cheated her once. what makes her think I do it now After all I loved her I followed her everywhere.

I made it very clear to BSC that I will not be treated like this and asked for a refund for the 8 I was owed and the one I did not use. I have no interest in BSC anymore and would like to join another club. They did offer me a month of free dues but that's not enough. I'm scared to death of this woman, it's like a ticking time bomb I'm not sure when it's going to explode at me. She still works there. I expect nothing less of BSC putting money before members as she makes them a lot of Money. I just want a refund for what I could not use. The manager is blowing me off and I am pretty much stuck in this club I cannot use. I just want to leave. They said they did not want me to leave with a bad taste in my mouth. Well I have one.

After joining the Andover, MA club 7 months ago and paying $200 sign up fee (not including any month memberships) they informed us 1 month ago that the club was closing. Not only have I been charged for the babysitting after the club has been closed, but after contacting member services to request some sort of refund of my sign up fee they wouldn't budge! I explained to the woman in member services at corporate that I have been a member almost all of my adult life at different locations of theirs and that I have paid plenty of start up fees but she gave me a "I'm sorry about that" then remained silent on the line.

This is stealing from people. I justified paying the extra 200 to start, assuming that I would be there for a long time because it is close to my home and that the high cost would at least be dispersed over time. I am extremely disappointed in this company and I will never ever be returning! I caution anyone thinking about joining to think twice because they do not care about members.

I had my charge card stolen and was issued a new one. I visited Boston Sports Club for Zumba class on a Saturday morning in early February. I was told that something was wrong with my membership and that I needed to resolve the problem in order to attend class or exercise there. I was told that it was OK to be there that day, but please take care of the issue right away to avoid membership interruption.

I explained the situation with my charge and asked to deal with problem and change the credit card on file for my monthly fee there and then. I was told that I could not do this at the gym but had to call the membership department at headquarters. I called that afternoon and they were closed. It was a Saturday, so I understood. However, I called twice more during regular business hours the following week and several more times the next. Not once did I get a human being on the telephone.

Finally, someone called me three weeks after my first call. I provided my new card information. I received at least five more calls asking for the card information over the next few weeks. All the while I could not use the gym. Finally, after two months, BSC finally accepted the information - the same provided two months earlier. When I told them that they owed me two months back membership, they offered me $20 "for the inconvenience." I told them anything less than two months was unacceptable. They have refused to answer my emails. I will not call, as I now want all communications in writing.

BSC Lynnfield, MA training scam - I am writing to warn other gym members not to make the same mistake I did. I met with a personal trainer and was under the impression that I was signing a contract for 4 sessions at a total cost of $380. Not cheap by any means, but I really wanted to get started on a new program. My card was charged $380 and I thought I was all set. The next month my card was charged $380 again. I called the gym and they claim that I agreed to 12 sessions!! They say I signed a contract for this. I did "electronically" sign a document but I was under the impression that it was for 4 sessions, not 12!

When I reviewed the contract the only number on it is $380, but it also states that it’s for a minimum of three months. I misunderstood, and they refuse to take off the extra charge and will charge me a third time if I don't get a note from a doctor stating that I can't train. Now I've got 8 sessions that I don't even want to go to because I'm so upset. They also claim that if the sessions aren't used weekly, they expire! I had to go out of town because of an illness in my family. So now I've lost those sessions. I don't ever want to set foot in this place again. PLEASE be sure to read EVERYTHING and don't sign any electronic documents. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I moved to Chicago from Boston and was told that my membership had been cancelled. Turns out they were still charging all this time and told me that the department that I spoke to should have never told me that it was cancelled... Will never recommend or use any of their services again.

I signed a one year contract in March of 2014. The contract does state that there will be a $39.99 rate lock protection fee charged in January. OK, makes sense. However, I told them in January that I would be cancelling my membership on the day my contract expires, since my office location has moved and going to the club is now inconvenient. I then requested a refund of the rate lock fee. I explained that since the entire time I had a membership, I was under contract, and therefore protected against a rate increase. And, since I am cancelling my membership at the end of that contract, then the Rate Lock fee is not protecting me from anything. They said that while that makes sense, they simply will not refund the fee. Businesses need to learn that not all situations are the same and they can't simply have a one-size-fits-all policy.

When BSC changed to the 19.95/29.95 per month membership; the clientele became more like Work Out World and Planet Fitness. The gym was busier than ever and it was also dirtier than ever. I'm talking dirty towels and cups everywhere! Sweat stains on the mats, dirt on the mats, dust bunnies throughout the gym. A musty moldy smell lurked in areas where ventilation was poor. Two years ago this gym was a terrific place to work out, now it's a place to suck in mold and dirty air into your lungs.

Fed up with the lack of cleanliness in the gym, I decided it was time to take a break from BSC and join another gym. It took two weeks to get someone at my gym to answer questions regarding my membership. The GM in Newton actually fought with me on the phone, insults included. The conversation was so bizarre, I actually called TSI to confirm he was in fact the new GM. I looped the district manager in on the rude and uncomfortable conversation and he didn't provide any feedback. It's clear he doesn't care, but hey; at least he's following a trend. To be clear, I don't expect anything for free. I do expect to get what I pay for.

After a 30-min hold time with TSI, I was finally able to freeze my account. Fast forward to the first month where my monthly maintenance fees were supposed to be deducted; TSI debited two separate transactions of $15.00 a piece. They decided to take money out for a personal training membership I had cancelled months ago. It's been almost 30 days and I have yet to receive my refund. I reported the transactions as fraud to my bank and they turned off my card. I got this idea from the GM in Newton who told me if I wanted to avoid the 30 day cancellation period to just stop all payments from BSC and TSI. He told me "nothing would happen to me, I would receive a few phone calls but eventually they would stop."

If the GM at BSC is teaching me how to avoid the nonsense at TSI, what does that say about the company? Since calling TSI requires too much time on hold, I've resorted to emailing them and waiting several days for a response. At least I have a paper trail this way. Yes, TSI is the biggest gym owner/operator in the northeast, but their customer service reminds me of what it was like to call third world countries when I needed computer tech support in the early PC days.

I paid $150 for two membership initiation fees, one for my son and one for myself to the Waltham club. Two months later, I called to cancel my son's membership, simply because he never really used it and I don't want to waste money to pay the monthly membership fees. Here I am not trying to get refund of initiation fee or anything, just want to stop paying for future monthly memberships. Interestingly, I was told I had to go and do it in person. So I went (before the start of September), and at the desk first I was told there was no manager.

When I argued, a manager came up and looked into computer for a second. Next he told me he needed general manager to cancel it. I left my phone number and expected a call back, but the call never came. I called a few days later after the September fee was already charged; again I was told I need to go in person. I argued in the phone (in a style beyond what I normally would do), and another manager told me they would call me back in the next couple of days, but I need to expect $150 for the cancellation fee.

I have never encountered a place like this that so shamelessly abuses their customers. Most of the time when we buy something, we can return for a refund. I am not getting any service here, but they will continue to charge my credit card, as long as they can, best forever for them.

I was actually abused by an instructor in a group class, and we had a pretty bad confrontation. I said I would take the matter up with management, and her response was "Go ahead!" Now, I understand her impunity because I called management and could not get a timely response. Now I am trying to cancel and they make it as DIFFICULT as possible. Don't join this gym! Website doesn't function, no one can answer any questions, no management is EVER available. And if you are a guy, watch out for the sauna. My husband went in and a guy was masturbating in there.

I TOTALLY REGRET SIGNING UP FOR THIS CLUB!! IT IS A NIGHTMARE TO CANCEL!! I've tried going in to cancel but the 'person who does it' is NEVER in! I've sat for a half hour on the phone waiting for a rep to answer and then it just cuts me off. I've sent out ten emails over the course of a few months and I'm still being charged! I did enjoy the gym but it's such a rip off!!

I opened an account with the location in Columbia Heights, DC communicating with the agent my intention to move to Boston within a month. I mentioned that the regional passport will be my best option since I can use every facility they have in the region (MA, PA, DC) for $79.99. I duly signed up. Fast forward 2 months after moving to Boston, I realized I had been charged $150 a month for the past 2 months. Called their customer service to figure out what was going and they mentioned that I had been charged a usage fee for using the facilities in Boston. I complained that my plan entitled me to use all the facilities in the entire region and was told that was wrong information I had. So apparently, the rep that signed me up gave me incomplete information about my contract. Still BSC won't even offer me a refund claiming that was the contract I signed.

I understand that I probably should have requested a copy of the contract (which still haven't given me) but I still expected better treatment from the company. At least acknowledge that your rep may have made a mistake and look into it. But no, all the lady kept saying on the phone was nothing they can do. Even after I explained the longer term revenue impact of losing a customer. Take away here for management is that you guys are doing a lousy job running the company. Too much focus on the short term bilking of customers instead of creating a happy customer base. If you are going to jeopardize earning years of revenue from my membership over recognizing that sometimes a customer is right, then the company should go out of business.

I was laid off from my job in Cambridge and, since I live far outside the city, I called to cancel my membership in July, when my contract was ending. In the contract, it states that you usually have to give written notice unless you live or moved 30 miles from the gym, which my location was. I was assured by the manager that I was all set. That was my first mistake. I was charged for July, since they require 30 days notice. However, I continued to be charged for August, September, and October too! I have been calling non-stop and it's always "The manager isn't here" or "The manager is in a meeting." I have left countless messages that were never returned. Finally, I called again today and the receptionist took pity on me and gave me the number of corporate.

After waiting on hold forever, a cantankerous associate answered and listened impatiently while I explained the situation. She then put me on hold and came back on to tell me that they were going to go ahead and waive the 30 days notice, but that they couldn't refund my money that they basically stole. I was incredulous! I argued with her stating that I did what the contract said to do, but she stated that "Our refund policy is really strict and maybe if you can provide documentation..." MAYBE!?

Why aren't managers held to the same standard as 'clients!?' I have to jump through hoops and run around getting stupid 'documentation (that she couldn't define exactly what that meant either!)'. I will NEVER deal with this business again and will tell everyone considering Boston Sports Club to stay far away from people who couldn't care less about their customers! They have no problem basically stealing money from loyal customers!

Bad management. The club is commercial and has no consideration for their customers' satisfaction. Keep your credit card details; otherwise, be sure it's going to be abused.

A $300 iPod was stolen out of my locked gym locker. When I reported it to the front desk of the gym, the employee there said theft has been a problem at a few Boston Sports Clubs locations. He said that people are picking locks and stealing things from members' lockers. Other than this, no immediate action was taken by the staff to help me. The insurance company for the gym contacted me and said the gym is not responsible for the stolen item.

I had called my club last 6/07 requesting a freeze on my membership and was told it would be frozen for 12 months. With busy lives; 3 kids and both my husband and me working he just mentioned he hadn't heard me talk about the gym recently. I found out from him that the club had been charging the acct. since 10/07. I went directly to the club where Mia expressed all freezes must be in writing and I explained I hadn't been asked to sign anything and that I hadn't been to the gym even once since the 6/07 call.

She emailed Corp. where she said they would have my signature on file to activate initial freeze, there was no response so I called again and another email was sent by Mia w/out f/u by her or Corp. I called Corp. directly today, a week later, and they won't credit the acct. even though I wasn't even supposed to be on a freeze w/out a signature (which I hadn't been told about) yet the freeze happened for four months... The communication within the club as well as with/between Corp. is poor and always to the detriment of the consumer. $700 in charges whcih accrued over the course of the months my membership was supposed to be frozen.

Boston Sports Clubs Company Profile