3.9/5 (823 ratings)

About 24 Hour Fitness

24 Hour Fitness Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 24 Hour Fitness?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about 24 Hour Fitness?

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

I have been a member of 24 Hour Fitness for nearly 20 years. I was attracted 24 Hour Fitness because it was open 24 hours a day. Often I go to the gym late nights/early mornings because I like the quietness of shooting basketball alone or aqua aerobics in the pool. But now that the gym is 20 Hour Fitness I guess I’ll let my membership lapse because of the change of hours. I’m curious to see if they will change the name.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

Change in hours. My wife, son, and myself became members after the closure of Bally’s fitness. The main reason why we joined because the club was 24hrs and I usually workout before work between 3-5am. I no longer can enjoy my workouts and need to find new gym. Hopefully the Better Business Bureau can look into these unfair business practices and bring another class action lawsuit against this greedy company!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

They change the hours from 24 hours in Lake Forest office to 20 hours. And the gym in Mission Viejo close like at 10P and open at 6AM on the weekend. I moved to Santa Ana and now I need to pay $10 to upgrade?! Can't find anything close to work that is not super or ultra. I would love to get my money back that I paid at Costco and move to another gym that stand for its name.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

I understand that 24 Hour Fitness is very sales heavy. The word is aggressive. Last night, my friend came with me to the gym (I am a member, as of this month) to swim some laps. She signed up for the 3 day pass. A man came up to her and asked if she wanted a tour and she told him that I would be able to show her around. I walked away from the computer and I heard him say something like, "I will set you up over here". I turned around and they were gone. I couldn't find her anywhere.

I eventually called her on the phone and I she told me where she was. When I entered the office where they were, I said, "Why do I feel like you were kidnapped?" He was immediately offended and started being very aggressive toward me, telling me they "had a process". I informed him that I had never had to do this part of the process when I tried out the gym two other times, including this location. He just kept aggressively saying to me, "We have a process". I said, "Okay, then finish your process.". He said "Thank you". Several times until I said, "Are you asking me to leave?" He said "Yes". To which I responded that I was a member there and I wasn't going to leave her in there with him. She eventually got upset at the way he was treating me, not only as a customer service representative, but as the General Manager of the gym! She got up and said, "I don't want to be a member here if this is how you treat people". We left.

My issue with this is that, no matter the sales position, or "the process", you do not have the right to aggressively scoop someone off into an office somewhere and then pressure them into to staying so you can do your sales pitch. This is not part of "the process" because I had never experienced it before. We are two young women and he was flaunting his power and preying on the hope that we would be too nice to stand up for ourselves and leave a non required step of looking at the gym. The fact that he acted this way is why I will be immediately canceling my membership.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

The team very sweet when I enrolled and said I cancel it any time. And freeze the account and no cost with freeze. They didn't say anything on annual membership fee and they took my money and when you call and ask about it, they say to check the email. They don't freeze the account when you call and but they still charge. I have not used it ever and they keep charging me. Very bad and be aware of all the hidden charges and cost that they don't tell you even if you ask. All they say is there is email. Never ever go for this unless you are sure you can make use of it.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

My boyfriend wanted to join my membership but we both wanted our dues billed separately. Before adding him I inquired if this was possible of a front desk person at the Tualatin location. I was assured it was and so we went in together and added him to my account. They asked for a card from him, then proceeded to charge my billing to his so he was charged to two accounts. He inquired again about splitting it between two cards and they informed him it could be done by me the next time I came in. The next time I went to the gym I asked for my billing along to be changed to my card. Which, they said they did, but they changed both over to mine so I was charged double. We ended up moving out of the area to be next to any location so he requested to have his frozen for a couple months, was not told of the recurring amount that would still occur.

I put in a request online to freeze mine, 11/11, when I looked at my 24 Hour account it showed as deactivated on 11/14, but they still charged me full membership on 11/15. I called their billing number 11/18, proceeded to be on hold for 26 minutes before the line was disconnected by them. It took another 32 minutes on the phone, majority on hold, when I finally was able to talk to a person they had no clue why I was charged my full membership fee. I requested to just cancel since it had been months of issues for me at this point, she ran through the gambit of attempting to save me as a customer but I just repeated that I wanted to cancel and a full refund of this month's membership. She stated she would put in the request for review and I could expect the refund in 10-14 days.

14 days later, I have not received my refund so I called again, spent 25 minutes on hold and then the person I finally talked to said it could be up to another 10 days before I actually see my refund of money which they took by their own mistake. I've spent a total of 94 minutes of my life on the phone with them without much progress. I'm disgusted that they do not treat the situation with more care and basically both individuals I talked to could not give any information and were barely apologetic. Definitely won't be returning to them ever.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

Been going to 24 Hour Fitness at Foothill Ranch for several years. Have been notified that they have changed the hours to 20 hours where previously was 24 hours. Very upset about this change as I, along with about 30 others go in at 12 am to 4am, which will now be closed. No one at the corporate office can say why it’s been changed. They are now “20 Hour Fitness” and do not have another facility within 5 miles from my home so I, as well as many others have joined Planet Fitness (1/2 mile from 24 Hour Fitness) who seem to care about the members' needs for their health. 24 Hour Fitness doesn’t care about the members' needs, and they also need better machines and cleaning service. Planet Fitness has very clean facility and upgraded machines.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

This company is a scam. I have had an extremely hard time getting into contact with someone to cancel my membership and get a refund. I was ridiculed by the head customer service staffer and told that I could not be helped. I finally went into a gym location and received a cancellation and still needed a refund for a service I was fighting. They drag you along and not fully verbalizing all details of the consequences of cancelling or placing a hold on an account. It is a scam and I would highly NOT recommend getting caught in this spider's web.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

I've been a member of this gym since it was Family Fitness (25 years). I was on a business trip in Irvine, CA for 3 days and walked in and requested a 3 day pass (across the street from my hotel). The manager wanted me to pay $90. It didn't matter that I've been paying a yearly membership fee ($240 ) for the past 25 years, and somehow allowing me to workout for 3 days was going to somehow bankrupt the company? Note, on their website they offer free 3 day passes to complete strangers, but if you are paying them $1,000s of dollars they will treat you like a second class citizen. Loyalty had no value to this heartless corporation. I recommended finding a gym that values your membership. Just say NO to 24 hour fitness

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

I paid a Large sum of money in 2003 to become a life time member of the All-Sport level 24Hour Fitness gym. Now they are phasing out Sport gyms for Super-Sport and charging lifetime members the normal Super-Sport rate to "upgrade" which is not an upgrade, it's just paying a normal rate. I pay an absurdly low $20 a year for access to what was once they're highest level gym membership. Now it seems that 24 hour fitness is trying to get rid of members they entered into a contract with by slapping on a new title onto their gyms. 24 hour fitness is just another example of how corporations get away with not upholding their contracts by phasing out services that were agreed upon.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

After 20 years of 24 hour service, some of our local clubs in Sacramento have announced that they will close nightly at 12 midnight. There was no request for input from members. I called the corporate customer service,they said to call the local club, as it was a club manager issue. I talked to the local club and they told me to call corporate. Why do you think we joined 24 Hour Fitness? How can 24 Hour Fitness maintain this trade name when a majority of the clubs will not be open 24 hours? Having an indoor gym late at night is safe and convenient. Boo! Is the club in financial challenge or something? The club website continues to show 24 hour service which will soon end.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

The fitness center in Ladera Ranch 24 Hour Fitness has poor and unhealthy drinking water supply for members, the bottle refilling faucet is broken for months, and the flow on other faucet is low that some people are touching it with their mouth to drink which is very at risky and infection cross for members, but the hydration machine next to water counter is working perfectly. I am reporting this issue to health department for investigation.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

I was a member with 24 Hour Fitness/Bally’s for the last 13 years and recently I opened another family account in August 2019. However, the staff lured me with false information and overcharged me on the credit card. Upon my complaint, staff promised me to refund the over charged fee but I never received my money back. Again, I met with gym manager name Eric and escalated the matter. I have never experienced a rude and extremely unprofessional manager like this guy name Eric in Kew Gardens NY 24 Hours Fitness anywhere in the industry.

I canceled my membership at the spot after receiving worst customer service at the front desk. My other friends are also considering quitting the gym in coming days and will join a nearby in our area with better amenities, less monthly charges and great customer service. I will certainly recommend readers to evaluate options in order to quit this gym where customers have no respect at all. Thanks, Shahid.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

I was a member of the club from past two year but every time I signed into the club, the customer service was very rude and unprofessional. On 9/12, I signed in and had a very rough conversation with the assistant general manager. The conversation was very rough that I had to call the cops to mediate. I cancel my membership and now they are refusing to refund the balance. I suggest not to join 24 Hour Fitness. Thanks. Pradeep **

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

This place runs scams!! I signed up for a month to month contract on a small keypad and no copy was provided to me at the time nor via email. Upon joining I was asked if I wanted an annual contract and I specifically stated to the employee that "I did not want a yearly contract". Today I noticed an additional charge in my bank acct from 24 Hour Fitness. I called customer service and the rep proceeded to tell me that I was charged for my annual fee in addition to my monthly fee. I was NEVER informed of an annual fee when I was toured and presented with the information! Nor was the contract visible on the keypad that I was signing. I explained all of this to the representative, she continued to state that my contract was emailed to me. I searched my email and the only thing that was emailed was a copy of the receipt. She then emailed my 11 page contract during our conversation.

This is the first time that I am seeing the contract and I searched my email multiple times and it was never emailed in June. Upon joining I was only given a receipt for my payment. I paid initiation fee, 1st and last month, and was informed that if I needed to cancel then the month would be covered because I paid the last month upfront. I stated to the rep, that I wanted to cancel my membership. Now, the rep is saying that if I cancel my "ANNUAL" membership (which I never chose), that I will be charged an insane amount of fees!!! I once again explained that I never chose an annual, I chose month to month. She proceeded to state that although I chose "month to month" it is an annual contract and that everyone is informed of this when they are signing up!!

I stated to the rep, that unfortunately since she was not present when I was signing up then she cannot really speak on what was said at that time. However, I was present and I know that all of this was never explained to me. What kind of scam are they pulling?? 24 hour Fitness is doing bad business and it seems to be a common practice based on the reviews that I have read! I have requested a manager to contact me.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

When I signed up I was made promises at a club location but not given a copy of the contract. When I got the contract emailed to me that evening it differed from what I had been told. In less than 24 hours I went to the corporate office to cancel my contract. 24 Hour Fitness personnel, other than the receptionist, refused to talk directly with me, had the receptionist place me in a room and talked with me only by phone. The company representative tried to make me not cancel; but, since it hadn't been over 24 hours she finally agreed. They also refused to remove my fingerprint from their system. In my opinion don't trust the company.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

1800 customer service for membership poor, 15 minute wait, then got disconnected and they didn't call me back. 2nd call 30 minute wait and couldn't didn't want to help. You know those customer service people that constantly say "no". It's that moment you realize, you got my money and you are not valued. Many many years of constantly buying memberships, 2-3 year memberships at a time, and one call I make for help and nothing "can't do anything for you". Good- 24 hour gym, all kinds of equipment, hot tub, pool - awesome. Bad- not all that clean, light bulbs always out, bathrooms poorly cleaned in most places and not efficiently thought out.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

Hi, I am writing review of 24 Hour Fitness 39300 Paseo Padre Pkwy, Fremont, CA 94538. Please don't join into this club. It's very dirty, restrooms not cleaned very smelly. I have added my friend on April 4th into the club. He came just one day after that he never came to the gym. So we cancelled his account in April but 24 Hour Fitness club guys still deducting my money from my account. I have told them so many times to cancel his account but they said it cancelled but still charging money from my account. It's cheating. They don't know how to cancel the membership. They don't give any proof of cancellation. Please if you want to cancel your membership be careful and ask proof of cancellation. It's worst maintenance and all equipments are old and all machines are old. Please don't join into this club. Not recommended.

Original review: July 17, 2019

If you're looking for a gym to join, this isn't it. This place is dirty. The men's locker room smells like a sewer with drains backing up. The drain covers are also rusted. In some places, the wall tiles don't meet the floor so there are gaps in the wall. Electrical outlets don't work, Some individual lockers look like they haven't been cleaned since the 1960s. This place looks like it's been around since the 1960s; lighting is substandard and it has a dingy look. As for the equipment, it is old and some of it doesn't work smoothly or at all. The workout floor is also dirty and the GM seems more worried about other things than keeping this place up to date or even clean. There are other places in Thousand Oaks that deserve your hard earned money and will work hard to be fit for it, too. 24 hour is UNFIT.

Original review: July 17, 2019

I was extremely excited about joining 24 Hour Fitness, until I found out that they did not value me as a customer, but cared about what money they could get from me. I was manipulated into signing up for personal training sessions I did not even want. I was told that my first month would be waived, that did not happen. After I signed up, which was halfway through my tour of the facility, the general manager did not care to administer showing me the rest of the facility. I had to ask the personal trainer to show me the rest. After some thought I decided to adjust my membership, taking out the personal training, thereby having a refund to reflect the change. I called a couple days after signing up and was told they would get back to me, also I sent an email and they did not respond to either.

As a result, I had to take my personal time to go to the facility in Parsippany to speak with the manager. Due to not receiving any form of response, I decided to cancel my membership in full. The manager stated I would get a full refund, then handed and emailed me a confirmation. The confirmation stated the I will receive a full amount for my membership and personal training. I only received the deposit of $10.00. I called this morning asking why I did not receive the full amount. The receptionist said they would get back to me, and of course they did not. I did not feel valued as a customer and comfortable working out at this facility. I believe they were very unprofessional in handling the situation.

Original review: July 17, 2019

I would strongly advise no one join 24 Hour Fitness in Parsippany. The manager is extremely rude, pushy and unprofessional. All he appeared to care about was extorting money from me and trying to push personal training I didn't even want. I can't speak for the other workers, but this organization is run by a bunch of scumbag low life sales people. DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR TIME OR MONEY!! If could give no stars I would!

Original review: July 16, 2019

After being a member for almost 40 years, I recommended club to many. But now they hide behind "saving environment and green excuse" to discontinue the towel service in super-sport clubs. It's nothing but Absolute GREED and a LIE. There is no way it’s more energy efficient and green to have thousands of people from every gym wash their towels versus one industrial unit per gym doing the towels. WHAT A WASTE OF WATER AND ELECTRICITY.

Original review: July 12, 2019

Called to cancel my membership in Feb 2019. Months later in June discovered they were still deducting my account the monthly membership fee. I call the club was a member of and they said they had no record of it, but would cancel June 8, 2019. Then on June 10, 2019, they deducted $49.99 out of my bank account. I called back again to my local club and they assured me that I'd get a refund within two weeks. Over two weeks later, still no refund. I called them again and they referred me to call the Customer Service number which I did and spent over an hour on the phone with them. They told me I couldn't get a refund on the $49.99, so I've paid for a yearly membership without being able to use it....Worst company ever! Stay far away....

Original review: July 8, 2019

Honestly this is the GYM of AT&T with hidden fees and also even though I did called to cancel the membership the customer service guy did not cancel my account and only froze it. And when I'm out of the country I check my bank account and I have an Annual Fee for which I had no idea. They are all full of crap and of course when you call them they tell you it's NON REFUNDABLE, that means I just donated $49.99 to 24 HOUR FITNESS for not even going to their gym, and honestly they are the worst gym. They don't even provide towels anymore, the bathrooms are always dirty. Never again in my life I will be joining that gym ever again.

Original review: July 6, 2019

Classic bait and switch! They put me under a one year contract and then started to lower their service level. Broken equipment and amenities. They reduced steam room hours and now they removed their towel service. Every half decent gym now offer towel service. Next, bring your shampoo and soap. And this is a so-called freaking "super sport" centre.

Original review: June 25, 2019

Allow me to preface this with a very important statement: I have never left a negative review for a company in my life--I am here now--do with that information what you will. So I have been using 24 for about a year. I made sure to not enter a contract, so I would be able to cancel at any time. What a joke. It does not matter how or what you say to this company, they will make it an absolutely impossibility to cancel your account or prevent a payment. Last month, (May 2019) I called in to ask to cancel the subscription. I wasn't using the services anymore and I was sick of paying $45/month (VASA is $20/mo and waaaay nicer). So the lady on the phone tells me she cannot cancel my services over the phone (sigh). Okay, here is the first mistake; you have clients, WHO ARE GIVING OVER THEIR HARD EARNED CASH TO YOU EVERY MONTH, and you make them have to literally hunt and find a way to stop giving you their money?

So I hang up on her, because there is no point for a customer service line if they can not assist with billing. She told me to either go into a club or send an email. It was 10 days before the next payment was due, so I figured I would just send an email. I knew I did not want to give them any more of my valuable time or money. The guy gets back and says "I can temporarily freeze the account, or cancel it entirely. REPLY TO THIS EMAIL WITH WHAT ACTION YOU WOULD LIKE ME TO TAKE." So what do I reply? "Please cancel this account. Thank you."

10 days pass. 24 Hour Fitness charges my debit card $45. I email back and say that I am pissed off and want a refund. No response. I call, but because it is after 5pm it is "after business hours". This is like the second or third mistake, although I can't be sure..this company truly ** sucks. I get an email a couple days later asking me how my customer experience was. If I sound mad now, you can only imagine what I said in that survey. Unfortunately, I have a job and family and friends so I slowly pushed this issue to the depths of my limbic system.

Here we are at the end of June. The payment was due today. I went into a club to cancel, yesterday. I have calmed down because it has been a month (Keep in mind I was charged for this last month and only went once). So I go in and ask for the manager. Out comes a small man with a frat haircut who looks like he has never once used his facilities equipment. He tells me "there is no point in cancelling, the payment process has already begun". This is mistake 15. This is the most atrocious client interaction I have ever been apart of. I didn't yell at him. I actually think the guy was too stupid to understand how ** ridiculous what he said was.

So what do I do? I walk out. I drive to the bank. And I CANCEL MY DEBIT CARD. I swear to God this is the only way to keep this criminal excuse of a company from stealing your money. I am not even in a contract. I pay monthly...and I had to cancel my debit card to stop them from stealing from me after two months of asking them to stop stealing from me. As you can tell, I am unhappy with company. My heart is filled with hate for their processes. I will do anything and everything in my power to stop anybody in my life from ever walking through their doors. DO NOT GIVE THIS COMPANY YOUR PAYMENT INFORMATION.

Original review: June 25, 2019

I joined the 24 Hour Fitness Super Sport because it had more "perks" than the other clubs. One of those perks was towel service and when I registered I was told by the salesperson that that's one of the reasons I'm paying extra, to get towel service. It was used as a selling point during registration. I'm definitely willing to pay extra for extra perks, but now they are getting rid of the towel service, which I can deal with. But then I receive an e-mail thanking me for being a member and my membership dues are going up. This does not make sense.

If a customer is paying extra for a service, once the service is removed then the customer should no longer be paying that extra money. They will potentially be saving thousands of dollars a year by getting rid of this service BUT they will increase my membership dues? AND selling the towels now too. I e-mailed 24 Hour Fitness and received a generic email that did nothing to resolve any issues. Their customer service is horrible and this is unfair to the customers.

Original review: June 20, 2019

Automatically charging a credit card for a non-refundable fee without any type of notification or alert to the consumer is unacceptable. Did I sign a document 4 years ago authorizing my monthly membership? Yes but how am I to remember a yearly non-refundable fee would be charged from a document I signed years ago. It should at least be a courtesy every time they bill your account. Unacceptable.

Original review: June 20, 2019

It is not very old but everything is broken. The pool heater does not work. The hot tub does not work. The hot tub has been down for 2 weeks already. Then they raised their prices....What !!! The management does not seem to care. It's all just funny to them.

Original review: June 19, 2019

I'm a customer for more than 5 or even 7 years, so long that I don't even remember. I had auto-payment set up monthly so I wouldn't miss a payment. So today I noticed that they haven't been collecting payment since January which is about 6 months from now. I called them to verify if my account is active, and they told me it was temporarily terminated but can be reactivated only if I pay what I owe. I am perfectly fine with paying for the payment they didn't collect. What pissed me off is they want to reinstate me as a new member for like $44, when I've been paying like $24. They can't bridge me because it has been more than 90 days.

She asked me what happen to the card that was set on auto payment. Then it hit me it was declared stolen because I was robbed and ended up in the hospital for a month (cervical spinal injury, which left me immobile from neck down). She asked didn't I get notification from them, after I explained the reason. I gave a "No" answer. 24 Hour Fitness had never send out or call me for anything in years. She apologized then offer to check on it for me. She came back and apologized to me that they didn't reach out to me and that there is nothing they can do. It's customer responsibility to keep up with payment, and they don't notify patient on late payment. **!! Total **!! They are so fast on terminating my contract to make me pay more for a new contract, and on top of that they want me to pay off the balance that is pending.

I asked to transfer me to the manager to file a formal complaint because I don't want to vent out on her any further when she is just representing this ** company. She told me she have a manager to talk to me and to place me on hold. Guess what, they hanged me up in less than a minute. I call them back, but the wait time is 20 minutes now. I waited 10 minutes to hear this ** from them, and now they want me to wait 20 minutes. THEY SHOULD KNOW BETTER TO CALL ME BACK. My cousin told me, you can get cheaper deal getting it through Costco. I told her this is principle. Why should I even sign up again when they want me to pay the balance (which I agreed to because it's fair, but you can't raise the monthly rate on me).

24 Hour Fitness Company Information