LA fitness

LA fitness

1.1/5 (31 ratings)

About LA fitness

LA fitness Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LA fitness?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about LA Fitness?

Original review: Sept. 27, 2022

DO NOT under any circumstances sign up or enroll for the personal trainer program. I have paid for 11 months of services and have yet to utilize half of my sessions due to personal trainer turnovers and their lack of availability. In addition, their trainers are college students who are studying to be trainers. The money you pay for a personal trainer are not for qualified or certified trainers. The two trainers they assigned to me were both in college. They were not available or able to work in the mornings or every evening because they were in classes. For the amount paid for a trainer, you would think that the trainers would be certified and qualified. I had tried to cancel due to their negligence and to poor quality services. In which they took away all my session. After paying the balance, they have yet to honor their part of the agreement.

I contacted their headquarters and left messages. In addition, left messages with a staff member at the gym. No one returned any of my messages until I canceled my payments and they wanted their money. In trying to rectify the payments, the VP of the department did not honor his word. He had someone else in the company handle this matter.

When the payments were made and the account was up to date, I was unable to schedule a session because they had no female trainers available that week. Also, the trainer they had assigned is no longer with the club and I'm unable to schedule a session. My membership is soon to expire and I currently have 37 sessions. LA Fitness do not honor their word and their services as agreed to the contract. DO NOT ENROLL IN THEIR PROGRAM.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2022

Been a customer since 2008. Last week I was denied access to the Montgomeryville location bc I have "single location" membership (East Norriton, PA). Not what I signed up for when I joined 16 years ago; I had nationwide access but looks like somewhere along the way they took that privilege away, didn't bother to let me know, and of course didn't reduce my monthly fee. As a solution, they offered me to "upgrade" to the multilocation membership ($3-4 more per month), pay "first and last month" again (????), pay a registration fee (????) and also pay a "one time $49 fee" (????), all after being a customer for 16 years.

I asked to cancel my membership on the spot, they said I have to fill up a form, blah blah, I politely asked to process my cancellation right away, they validated my identity, no reason to have me jump through hoops. They told my "OK, I'm taking care of that right now, sorry to see you go". 3 weeks later my membership hasn't been canceled. Unbelievable.

Get buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

They sold two 25 min training per week for $400 per month on top of my $35 membership. At the month and a half of my one year contract I had to go out of country. I talked to the manager in crossroad Irvine and asked him to freeze my contract until I come back. He agreed. When I came back a new managers did not honor the previous manager's words and agreement. Told me I have lost the time and I have renew my contract for another year. I told her she should first give me the time that I have lost then I will renew. Very rudely she said, "I am not honoring previous manager’s word." I disagreed and lost $600 “a month and half worth of training sessions “. For that reason and matter of principle I hired trainer out of LA Fitness. I have lost $600 and la fitness lost $4800 for a year. I would never suggest la fitness to any one. She was the rudest person I ever met.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2022

I am pregnant and at the time I had a personal emergency and found myself really needing to use the restroom. My bladder felt as if it was overfilled and I decided to stop at LA Fitness located in west palm beach off of Military rd. because I am a member with an active and paid for plan there even though I haven't been in to work out in a while. I had to go really bad so when I walked in I seen the front desk person busy speaking with someone and I proceeded past her walking straight toward the restroom.

I did not sign in for the following reasons..(1) She was busy and the only one up there and I was only going to the back to use the restroom. (2) I did not need to use any equipment or anything else besides the restroom. (3) I knew I would have to go in my new phone and search for my membership in order to scan it and I reallllly had to go so I kept walking past the front. I was a little ways past the desk when she called from the front and stopped me yelling for me to come back. I explained to her what I needed to do and ask if there was a manager. She then stated she was a manager but didn't give her name. I asked her was there another manager I could speak with quickly that was above her and she pointed to a gentleman and said his name was "Paul" and he was a manager. He was seated right there beside where we were standing.

I quickly told him the situation and I wrote my name down for them to try to find while I went. I explained I would come right back out and finish properly checking in. Paul agreed and said ok since it was an emergency. They held me up for about a good 2 mins which made my urge worst and before I could reach the RR I had a small accident. I had some tricking down my legs in the process. Since they have showers right there, I decided I would just rinse off in shower and go back out to sign in afterwards...

It only took a second to go to the toilet and flush, wash my hands, and walk right there to a shower stall to jump in. I only had on a bathing suit cover with shorts. I would say Approximately 1 to 2 mins after I even reached the back I heard a woman's vc saying "MAM" "MAM" as soon as I turned on the shower. I didn't answer because I didn't know who they were talking to at first and then The front desk manager that I had met upfront came and pulled curtain back with her phone in her hand while I was showering.. I was in complete shock.

She said I had not scanned in and threatened to call the police. I snatched the curtain back and I explained that it was very rude what she had just done and that I was indeed a member and if she wanted to she and whomever else could call the police if they wanted to. She demanded I come up front and get out of the shower. I asked her 5 times what was her name but she refused to tell me. She stood there with her phone while I was naked...I was so nervous and ashamed that I could not even hurry up enough to get my phone out of my bag and record the situation.

I hurried and put on my clothes and as she watched with her phone in her hand. When I threw my cover back on I purposely took my time to find my membership in my email on the phone to prove to her because she was speaking to me so rude. She left after maybe 5 mins of standing there and another girl came Back and switched spots with her while I scrolled my email for my membership she so desperately needed to see.

Finally I found it and walked to the front explaining to "Alia" the new lady what happened. She agreed it was a bit extreme. Alia told me her name was AJ. I made it to front and Alia scanned me in while "AJ" watched. Paul then walked over and said "You were back there for a while." I noticed he didn't see her scan me in and still assumed I wasn't a member. I explained I would never ever step foot in another LA Fitness gym again. I called next day to get the name and contact of a regional manager but was refused by the same manager on the phone. When I asked her name she said "AJ". If I have to post this on a 100 review sites I will. She violated me in so many ways. I hope my reviews reach the right individuals. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2022

Never ever sign up for personal training with LA fitness. The sales guys are such liars and they will trick you into paying extra money in whichever way they can possibly make you pay. If they ever promise you about some special deals, before signing any contract, get that in writing from them or get some sort of a proof. DO NOT ever fall for their words and sign up for anything. The only way you can get some help is by contacting the corporate or speaking with the operations team. If you ever want to cancel, never go the sales guys, just directly speak with the above said people.

Original review: July 28, 2022

My name is Justin, and I am a disabled Army veteran. I signed up for a gym membership and personal training. A couple weeks after signing up, I was hospitalized due to some medical issues and diagnosed with a condition that wouldn't allow me to workout for the foreseeable future. Upon discharge from the hospital, I contacted LA Fitness corporate office and emailed them a doctor's note saying I couldn't work out until my diagnosis cleared. They rejected this note as it wasn't specific enough. LA Fitness told me it needed to say at least 6 months that I couldn't workout. I got another note that specifically said no working out for 6 months, but again they rejected it. This time, they told me it had to say I couldn't work out indefinitely. Currently in the waiting process for receiving my third note from the doctor.

DO NOT sign up for personal training contracts at this gym. If you ever need to get out of it for whatever reason, they will screw with you and do everything they can to keep you under contract. Also, they absolutely refused to refund me for the month I was unable to use. LA Fitness does not care about their customers, only lining their pockets. They treated my medical issues like a joke. The personal trainer I had at my gym tried telling me I should just keep coming to the gym and doing light workouts, completely disregarding my doctor's orders. I explained to him my situation over text message and he completely ignored me; no response whatsoever. The trainers also do not care about your well being. DO NOT use this gym. Awful business.

Original review: July 26, 2022

The gym shut down during Covid and they froze my account. They told me they wouldn’t start drafting out my account until I enter the gym and scan my card to work out. I never entered the gym and they took over 300 dollars from. Beware of this place!!!

Original review: July 24, 2022

As a result of my back surgery my physician advised me to get a personal trainer for two months. My wife and I went to LA Fitness in Newington, Ct to make arrangements. The gentleman in charge of personal training told us we could get a 6 month contract and that he would also put in the contract that we could cancel at any time. When we got home and read the contract we were in shock. The contract was for one year to the tune of $2,211.04. We never signed anything that had this figure on it. We can only cancel if we pay half of the contract.

Original review: June 24, 2022

I drive down to the Woodbridge location and find out they are closed with no notification on the door, e-mail or App. Extremely disappointing and demoralized. Loss confident whether they will be closed during my next visit without a notification. I guess you will need to take additional step by calling to make sure they are open before driving down.

Original review: June 3, 2022

Thursday May 26th, I went to the LA Fitness at 5331 W. Sublett Rd., Arlington TX. to meet with **whom, I thought was a personal trainer and who would be discussing personal training sessions with me. The meeting was not with ** alone but included a “VP” John. John walked me through a few exercises with ** observing, explaining what it would be like with a trainer. This lasted about 20 minutes after which we went to a desk where John proceeded with his pitch by quoting different packages, while scribbling the number of sessions a week with the price down on a piece of paper upside down for him but facing me.

With each “no” from me he offered a new package quickly. I was sure the package I settled on he said was for six months with six sessions a month. After saying yes (instead of getting up and leaving), John left and ** proceeded to go over the contract, saying it was for 12 months. By then I was so overwhelmed that we just went through the rest of the contract.

When we had completed the contract, ** said he would have the trainer Teresa contact me to set up my first session and that he would also be emailing me a copy of the contract. On 5/31 I placed a call to ** requesting a copy of my contract (which I had yet to receive) and a call from the trainer. As of today June 3, I still have not received a copy of the contract, and I had ** confirm my email address. I am going to try and get a hard copy today. The trainer did contact me on 6/1.

I am very unhappy with the manner of high-powered sales techniques, as well as the lack of follow through on their part. I felt pressured, like I was dealing with a car salesman, only there were two of them. I wish I could get out of this contract and into one that is more affordable, as this current contract is going to impact my budget more than expected. I realize that I should have stopped it before it was finalized, and I take the blame for not doing so.

LA Fitness author review by Joey Thurman

LA Fitness was founded in Southern California in 1984. Today it has over 300 locations across the United States and Canada. LA Fitness offers fitness equipment, group classes and personal training.

• Group fitness: LA Fitness offers a wide variety of fitness classes at its locations, including Boot Camp, Belly Dancing, Cardio Jam, Cycle, Hip Hop, Latin Heat and more. Use the fitness class locator tool on LA Fitness’s website to locate a class near you, learn what to expect and find out what to bring.

• Personal training: Certified trainers offer free one-hour fitness assessments for new members and additional training for a fee. A trainer can help you determine your pace, set goals and track your progress over time.

• Pools: Many LA Fitness locations feature heated indoor swimming pools, which provide a great low-impact fitness option. You can take swim lessons, swim laps or do group fitness classes in the pool.

• Kids Klub: Some LA Fitness locations feature a Kids Klub childcare service. Additional fees may apply.

• League events: LA Fitness offers league and team events throughout the year at most of its locations. These include basketball leagues, racquetball tournaments and many other competitive activities for those who like team fitness.

by Joey Thurman Fitness and Nutrition Advisor

Joey Thurman is a nationally recognized and spin certified health, fitness, nutrition expert and television host He is the author of "365 Health and Fitness Hacks That Could Save Your Life." His work has been featured in publications such as Men’s Health, U.S. News and World Report, NPR, People Magazine, Shape, NY Post, Fitness Magazine, ‪Women's Health and many more.

LA fitness Company Information