Lose weight for good. How much can you lose?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

LA fitness
1.15/5

LA fitness

1648 LA fitness Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

The customer service and membership services with this company, are absolutely the worst I have ever dealt with. They make it almost impossible to cancel your membership-to the point that I believe they will just stop talking to you and you will have to pay. But of course, on the front end, they tell you that you can cancel at any time. Beware of this company, they have no moral compass and are difficult to deal with, at best.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2019

I joined LA Fitness to participate in Aqua Fit, a health requirement to control my diabetes. For the first 3 years, no problem. Great instructors. Recently, they have restricted the class to 10. More than that had been coming consistently for 3 years. Now if I don't get to the class 45 minutes early, I may not get in. The solution, hire a lifeguard is just not being considered. Very poor customer service. If you are a senior, stay away.

Get expert buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

Signed up three months ago for $200 initiation and $20 per month. Sales guy said that is all I would pay ever. Third month in they hit me for $50 equipment maintenance fee. They said I should have read the fine print and not relied on the words of the salesperson. What a scam! Never join LA Fitness.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2019

Had a membership to use all gyms I was told, and they have a little over a handful of Signature Gyms they don't tell you about, even though you join up to use all gyms. They charge your credit card a inter-club charge on your credit card and don't warn you in person. Talked to the main office and they said $15 more a month for their Signature club and I told them when I joined up I was told all gyms and they don't care and try to make you pay another fee after being a member of 15 years all together. The main office says no fee after telling him to cancel my membership and when I go to the gym they try to charge a extra fee and they lie about maybe other gyms weren't around. I tell them to cancel my membership and they cancel and I have to pay another month and half.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

PLEASE avoid this company like the plague!! They are tricky, deceitful, and once they have your credit card - they take what they can get, however they can get it. I signed up for six months of personal training, they got my credit card and they took 12 MONTHS WORTH!!! I am in a runaround nightmare. They DON’T care. They say the person I need to talk to isn't there or go to this other club to discuss the issue or literally the operations manager in Apple Valley (Krista **) told me she was too busy and to GO AWAY. Seriously. Please don't make the same mistake - avoid this place and the personal training - if you value your money!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LA Fitness?

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

Re LA FITNESS account number **. My husband signed up with LA Fitness 20 years ago. He has not used his membership in approximately a year, LA Fitness called Compass, our bank, and sent the contract, and compass gave them our new debit card number, where they deducted ALL "past due" monthly dues. Keep in mind, he has not even used this service in a YEAR.

We notified LA Fitness of cancellation over a year ago. They do not show it. They continued to debit after cancellation for over a YEAR. I expect a refund for every month this membership was not used, after our first notification of closing the account. I do not care if they don't consider it "official" because of all of their fine print details, I want them to return the funds they literally stole from our account today, and refund ALL funds drawn for all the months they continued to bill us after we gave notice of closing this REALLY old contract, and did not use ANY of their services. We are really upset.

My husband and I have been with BBVA for 20 years. Recently we fell on hard times, we entered debt consolidation and were told to open a brand new account, with brand new debit cards, and let the debt consolidators handle all debt. We did this. I am furious, beyond furious. LA Fitness obtained our new account information through deceit. The bank didn't even call us! I am disgusted with both businesses.

Maryanne

Tucson, AZ

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

They misled my son into a full year of personal trainer sessions at $180 a month after telling him it was for just a month to try it out! Then said, "It was a contract and you signed it." Totally unprofessional and try to mislead and get you signed up. Stay as far away from these people as you can. Hope this keeps someone from falling into their trap.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

I'm a customer for many years and when I tried to cancel just because I have membership at YMCA so I take my kids they told me to send form and then sent me email that I have to pay another year or $149 Cancellation fee. And customer service are very rude when you talk about cancellation but very nice when you call for new membership. I called my bank to stop paying them. There is a lot of competition now not like before and they should understand that.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

I have been a member at LA Fitness for many years, but no more since they cancelled it when I decided I am not getting their personal training. The customer service has become so horrible. First, I tried to cancel personal the very day I signed for it, but no one was calling me back, I was in my 3 day rescission period, so to be sure I sent certified letters because it was obvious that they were ignoring me on purpose.

Then when they saw I was serious about my cancellation, they then cancelled my regular membership despite clearly stating on my paperwork that I am keeping that. Then I walk in the gym and I speak with the front desk, which she tells me I am still cancelled. I told her I would like to reinstate membership and she confirms that they have valid credit card on file and tells me that she will just let her manager know. Then two days later, I ask them again if membership is active and they tell me that it's still showing inactive. So misleading and unprofessional, stay away from their personal trainers like Garrett. At this point, I am so done and really feel they are doing me a favor especially after reading all the negative comments online.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

We signed up for personal training in January 2019, end of July both me and my husband lost our jobs and no longer have an income. Customer service is unwilling to help, they refuse to transfer me to a manager - say they will call me back and don't call me back. We want to keep the monthly membership, just cancel the personal trainings due to the financial hardship. It is crazy that hardship is not an option to cancel personal trainings. We cannot afford to pay $200 a month for training. I have been calling since July 25th and they do not even have records of my call July 25th from what the rep told me today. They keep refusing to transfer me to a manager! Totally unacceptable and horrible customer service. The rep that supported me today was super rude as well. At this point I am just wanting to cancel all my cc and move to another gym.

LA Fitness expert review by Joey Thurman

LA Fitness was founded in Southern California in 1984. Today it has over 300 locations across the United States and Canada. LA Fitness offers fitness equipment, group classes and personal training.

• Group fitness: LA Fitness offers a wide variety of fitness classes at its locations, including Boot Camp, Belly Dancing, Cardio Jam, Cycle, Hip Hop, Latin Heat and more. Use the fitness class locator tool on LA Fitness’s website to locate a class near you, learn what to expect and find out what to bring.

• Personal training: Certified trainers offer free one-hour fitness assessments for new members and additional training for a fee. A trainer can help you determine your pace, set goals and track your progress over time.

• Pools: Many LA Fitness locations feature heated indoor swimming pools, which provide a great low-impact fitness option. You can take swim lessons, swim laps or do group fitness classes in the pool.

• Kids Klub: Some LA Fitness locations feature a Kids Klub childcare service. Additional fees may apply.

• League events: LA Fitness offers league and team events throughout the year at most of its locations. These include basketball leagues, racquetball tournaments and many other competitive activities for those who like team fitness.

• Best for: fitness novices, athletes and fitness buffs.

Profile picture of Joey Thurman
Joey Thurman Fitness and Nutrition Expert

Joey Thurman is a nationally recognized and spin certified health, fitness, nutrition expert and television host He is the author of "365 Health and Fitness Hacks That Could Save Your Life." His work has been featured in publications such as Men’s Health, U.S. News and World Report, NPR, People Magazine, Shape, NY Post, Fitness Magazine, ‪Women's Health and many more.

LA fitness Company Information