1.64/5

1550 LA fitness Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Beware of signing the contracts with the trainers. There is a $200 fee for just signing and it is a yearly contract with many hidden clauses, like when it expires it automatically renews monthly at a much higher rate. The manager admittedly said a customer should be notified by email when the contract is expired, as they notify every promotional sign up by email but this was a 'corporate decision.' Mine overlapped just before I went into a frozen membership for 3 months (out of state) and they still did not alert me when I went to freeze the membership. Very, very poor customer service with constant changing of management. Stick to the basics and double read anything you sign.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Finally I found some time to spend to talk about LA Fitness. If you know what to do at the gym you know that LA Fitness offers a nice pool, hot tub, free weights and work out machines zones for a reasonable price. I was a member for 7 years with two different plans, the last one was multiclub. Cleaning is something that they don't care at all. For several years, me and several other customers even after multiples complaints to all managers that worked there, last one was David, the place was filthy including the pool and spa hot tub. I don't know exactly today but I heard that still the same. So the true about the Legionnaires' bacteria, yes the one that cause Legionnaires' disease that was found there was not unexpected, was not a surprise to me. So what was reasonable before, now you may put your health in jeopardy. You got what you pay! Looks that is their motto!

Keep in mind that it is not just your health that is in jeopardy, also your physical integrity is in risk! Most of the nights are crowded and they made the only area available to stretch and abs in the gym as personal training only. Nobody does personal trainer there, little percentage. So you have rush hour times without a proper place to start your work out and due to that, one day after my workout I decided to talk with one of the managers available at the time, the same whom upgraded my membership to multiclub (you can go to any LA fitness in florida, not signatures ones), she allow me to use the personal training area that most of the time nobody uses anyways for stretches only.

So next day, was a Tuesday night, the place packed as always, directed myself to stretch with my headphones on lying on the mat when this trainer (Michael **) show up in my face with a bad physiognomy and gesticulating. When I took my headphone off, I heard this angry guy telling me to leave the area immediately so when I tried to explain why I was there, he grabbed the mat holder and try to make me rollover off from the mat so I placed my right hand on the floor and I bounced back pushing his arms and knees away from me with my left hand and stood up and told him to not touch me or try to move me physically again. When I stood up I was able to see two students on the end of the stretching area, I didn't know until later that they were his students.

I think he thought that I was a little boy. I may look young and very skinny but I'm almost 40 years old and with martial arts experience on my background so I faced him and with all the calm in the world and said that his behavior wasn't right. At this point no witness around, just his students, so when he percept the situation that he caused, then he called the janitor guy on me, that is a big guy, telling him to kick me out the gym so I face him too stating nobody will touch me, he threat me and screamed at me thinking that I will be scared but never did anything and he apologized to me later because he didn't really knew what was happening. He thought that I did something really bad because the way that the trainer spoke with him.

So when I percept no physical threat to me anymore, because people started to go in and out of the restrooms, I walked to the front desk to ask for the manager but no managers available at the gym on that time. Another bad thing, rush hour and nobody responsible at the place. So I'm at the front desk when he came with his students on his side saying that he will call the cops on me if I don't leave. Well guess what, I didn't leave so he called the cops and I waited for the cops to arrive. On this meantime they were talking on his desk on a way that looks (body language) that they were putting their version together.

When the cops arrived, the cop spoke with him first because he called and right after with his students and then me. The personal trainer created a such bad scene that I requested to speak with the cop outside due to the many curious people there. Everybody curious to know why cops were inside there. So when I told what happened, he told me that they provided a different story. So independent who said what, I decided to cancel my membership anyways and I expressed to the cop what I would like to do. So he went inside and when he came back he said that unfortunately they don't have managers available. Because is a contract for three years, need to have a special procedure.

Arrived next day to talk about the situation with manager David that at first was sounding helpful but then after I tell him what happened, and he said that what the personal trainer and his students told him was different, they said that I was standing and pushed him on his chest with both arms starting the issue. Detail: I was on the ground when he tried to move me and when I pushed him. So I don't want to pass as a liar because his teacher has two witnesses on his side and I had just the true. So I requested the footage from the security cameras to show who is who on this story but no cameras available.

On this situation that I don't have how to prove nothing I decided to cancel my membership anyways but then he said that I have a contract and the managers at corporate will need to approve that because on this situation, they may revoke the membership and keep the money, so I just said that really don't matter at all to me what they will do with my membership, I will not use, I'm done with LA Fitness anyways and I want my money back. My membership for three years was almost $800.00.

After I spoke with the gym manager I decided to call corporate and there they treat me really bad thinking that I was calling to apologize or that I needed them to help me with the situation, they were probably thinking that I was that very bad guy that they heard about. On my third call I was able to talk with one of the managers and she confirmed of course the refund. Good choice La Fitness or you thought that I will allow you to keep my money knowing that I don't want to use your place anymore.

As a very responsible person, I will stand for what is right and not allow to be bullied by any personal trainer or nobody. Martial arts teach you how to protect yourself but more than this I learned to have a very strong self control. I will never start immature situations like this. Bottom of line, BE AWARE THAT YOU ARE NOT SAFE IN GENERAL AT LA Fitness. They lost me, a old client and many others due to the lack of security, hygiene, and behavior of their employees.

Get expert buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Someone has been stealing a ton of free weights, barbells, and benches out of here for the past few weeks and management doing anything to replace. They need to have someone to care about this place. (She did NOTHING).

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Beware. Stay away. This place is a scam. They sign you up with a personal contract. Everybody has 30 days to cancel except these guys. 3 day window otherwise you're stuck for a year. I sent in a written cancellation just like the contract said but because it wasn't received within a 3 day time window they declined it. I switched their payment to a prepaid debit card. They went in to debit a payment every couple of days. I decided I will pay it & not complain but seeing them deducting a payment every few days was ridiculous. Thank god I used a prepaid card or else my bank would have slammed me with NSF fees.

I call to make a payment & they tell me my account is frozen. I'm trying to give them $ but they say, "Call back talk to a mgr." This place needs to be investigated for unfair consumer practices. Now I have to chase down a mgr to give her a payment. Again stay away. This place is a joke. After I signed up the sales guy didn't answer my text or calls for questions. What a coincidence. If you look for a reputable gym LA FITNESS is a scam.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

How the management cheated me out of $1940 and I got nothing in return for it. They signed me up for personal training and didn’t even give me a single session. I was calling for a month and the trainers wouldn’t answer. I stopped the credit cards payment after 4 month of getting nothing. But when we went to court the judge sided with LA Fitness because I signed their bogus contracts. They promise you the world but delivers nothing, don’t sign their contract. It’s only to protect them and screw you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LA Fitness?

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I've been a member for years and satisfied. I decided to get help from a trainer. When I inquired by sitting down with a trainer, he went through the contract. It was good I came on the 15th of the month because I could get some free sessions! He went through the pages of the contract each with long paragraphs and no time to read them. When I attempted to ask questions, he said we have to speed along or the computer will "time out" and we will have to start over. I had to initial or sign at least 6 times - ?? just to get a trainer?? I decide the next day to cancel out. The system is set up to prevent an easy cancellation process; have to show up in person, fill out a website form (not easily found), write a letter to the California office, etc. It is a year contract, if you leave early, you have to pay 50% of the annual cost. Beware.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

My husband joined LA Fitness in Casa Grande, Arizona several months ago under the Silver Sneakers program. He is disabled from a stroke, requires a wheelchair and constant attendance by either myself or his in home caregiver. The three of us went on the initial tour together and one of the most important questions that we asked was about bathroom access. My husband needs help to get on and off the toilet, change clothes, etc. We were assured that would not be a problem. We were instructed to use either the women's or men's locker room bathrooms by just announcing man coming through or woman coming through. And we're also shown the family bathroom in the children's area that was wheelchair accessible.

On August 2nd, my husband attended the 1100 Silver Sneakers class with his uniformed caregiver. At one point he had an urgent need to go to the restroom, which sometimes happens as a consequence of his stroke. My husband and his caregiver were denied access to the men's restroom, they were denied access to the women's restroom, and they were denied access the family bathroom because there were kids in the play area. The staff did not even attempt to offer alternatives or empathize with my husband's situation. As a consequence of this delay, my husband suffered the humiliating experience of soiling himself in public with urine and stool and then had to travel home without being able to clean up and change. Due to this experience my husband will not be returning to LA Fitness. We have found another gym in town, 24/7 Fitness, that is very accommodating and truly friendly.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I wanted to cancel my membership. I enrolled online with so much ease. So, thought It's going to be easy to cancel it out as well. But, guess what turns out they never let their members out that easily. You have to go to the facility and cancel. And the worst part is if you go in person, they keep giving lame reason (and every person responsible for cancellation will fall sick) until you give up and let them keep charging you. Worst cancellation process ever. It's not only about having good facilities and friends staff. It's about making the process easy for the consumers. Never joining them again.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I just received a call from LA Fitness that they could not process my payment. It was 3 months past due + charging now late fee, HELLO my account was CANCELLED over a year ago and LA fitness said it was not. It was put on a freeze and has for 1 YEAR NOW being charging me a 10.00 freeze hold fee and will NOT refund my money because I didn't bring this to their attention! Really?! No your fine staff made the error of when I canceled putting it on Freeze instead. I didn't call/bring to their attention in the past year because as I said I CANCELLED this and do not watch my credit card that by the way is CANCELLED NOW TOO for a 10.00 fee that should of NEVER been taken out monthly.

The manager I talked to at corporate said nothing she could do because they charged me and I didn't bring to their attention - this is not my fault really?! WOW great job LA Fitness, great customer service! Then I ask to speak to a different manager as she is not assisting me correctly and puts me on hold for 10 minutes then I get disconnected. Really the worst gym all around, price is ridiculous, gym is always packed and you can never get on anything, never clean, customer service has ALWAYS been terrible. Your very unsatisfied past BY A YEAR customer.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

I joined LA Fitness due to convenience closer to my house. I belong to another gym at the moment. LA Fitness charges more. They claim not to have contracts. Two weeks out I decided to cancel. Did your other gym was much better less expensive and an overall better experience there. I've told LA Fitness every two weeks over the phone not to charge me anymore that I have canceled several times. Only way they allow you to cancel is if you go in and fill forms out to cancel.

As long as I don't go in till continue charging me although I've told him I don't authorize them to. Every time I tell him I'm going to record the conversation informing them of the canceled they hang up on me. If it's not month-to-month why am I still being charged after I tell them I do not want to use their facility. I work during the week and not able to go in to cancel. And on the weekends their manager is not there that does a cancellations. I think all this is pre-designed to take customers money. Somebody needs to look into all this. Do not give them your debit card and allow them to deduct the money you can't stop them. I hope somebody reads this and it helps them out before they make a mistake that I've made. Funny but I thought all companies that take advantage if people were gone. Guess I don't have a lot of wisdom.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I had the most unpleasant experience swimming in LA Fitness Randolph pool. A manager named Andrew has still not responded to my complaint two days later. The pH in the pool was so acidic that my eyes, skin and throat began to burn during my swim. I thought the pool water was safe. Found out it had not been tested in 2 days! 30 minutes later they still continues to allow people to swim in it. It was only after I left that I heard they closed it. I could not breathe the rest of the day without coughing. How can they pass health inspection if they don't know how to monitor their pool?

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Be careful about considering this membership. Yes they have contracts, but when to signup of just talk to their sales staff they will lie to you about benefits. When you complain, it becomes apparent that the sales reps don’t work there very long or maybe they just move them to a different LA fitness. Maybe they just go back to being telemarketers.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

When I signed up for membership in 03/18, I thought we would be using facility close to my office. However, I was told that the facility next to my office will be going thru repairs and will be shut down for 2-3 weeks. LA Fitness advisors wanted me to go to facility which was inconvenient to where I lived and was not close to my office. When we signed up for membership, they added an extra month's fee to the charge that we were to pay. LA Fitness said that this fee would be used to pay for your last month. I thought that this extra payment would pay the non payment of dues.

Our experience has not been good with this fitness center. We only went to facility one time before repairs: pool was dirty; I could not find anyone to show me how to use the machines as promised; staff was not friendly. I decided then that I did not want to come back. When I went to cancel in May, I had already accumulated 2 months of back dues. I totally believe that this company is a rip-off. I will never go back into another LA Fitness center.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I had personal training with LA fitness and I was diagnosed with cervical cancer and had to get a hysterectomy. I have them the doctors note like they requested and they said it wasn’t good enough. Now I had to get a note saying I was permanently disabled. Are you serious? Wow and to make matters worse I had to get another surgery for my ulnar nerve which intels my bone being partly removed and my nerves moved around and I got another note. They don’t care that the doctors said I won’t be able to do anything and will not cancel my personal training membership. There is only a few months left. These people are a joke.

Original review: July 26, 2018

IF YOU CARE ABOUT YOUR HEALTH GO TO ALL REVIEWS BEFORE SIGNING UP WITH THIS GYM! Pool and jacuzzi are dirty. You will actually see solids (fecal) in the water. The chloride level causes allergy for me and my friend who went to hospital and treated by medication. The employees (salesperson-manager) are rude, immature and have no respect or any type of professionalism. This gym just steal your money without any services, care and attention to customers. This place is disgusting. I have never had such a bad experience in my life.

Original review: July 24, 2018

DO NOT USE THIS GYM!!! This gym is constantly oversold, dirty, and the management could careless about its clients. I had a personal training there, more than half of the time while I was being trained my trainer and myself were looming for open equipment to train on due to them being oversold. My trainer left and after that I was left competent hanging out in the wind. I was given appointments to training and no trainer showed up, then I told them I wanted to cancel because of the horrible service and they refused to. Stay away from this gym, they will try to get you into a contract that they cannot fulfill and once you want to cancel due to the horrible service they will try to keep you in it.

Original review: July 19, 2018

So I signed up at LA Fitness. First little bit I was thrilled with my experience. Signed up for personal training again. A month or so goes well. But then my personal trainer went on vacation. When she was suppose to get back no answer. I later find out they FIRED my personal trainer but did not inform me for over a month yet they kept charging me. I called and cancelled. Again they charge me. They never gave me the options of cancelling. I called and said, "No. Look. I am cancelling." I was still charged. This is fraud behaviour. I have cancelled everything here and put a block on my account for them. Do not go here. They are compete scammers!

Original review: July 13, 2018

I have belonged to LA Fitness for several years. 1. Oversell memberships so clubs are crowded during peak hours. 2. No privacy in locker rooms. Cell phones with cameras everywhere. 3. Incompetent staff in black uniforms imitating athletic trainers but only salesmen. 4. No orientation to properly use machines.

5. "FREE" fitness evaluation is scam, to sell you a CONTRACT for fitness services. 6. Staff target elderly members (like me) who have belonged to gyms (like YMCA) and can spot abuse, and manipulation of fat girls and boys.

7. Staff will walk around club trying to spot sales suckers, and let garbage stay on floor for days. Garbage cans overflow. Bathrooms need cleaning, 8. Many clubs have NO WI-FI so you cannot watch sports, do office work or school work while you work out. Idea is to get you to leave. 9. Never have on TV's local news stations, local sport events, no NBA, NHL, NFL, golf, soccer that better private clubs have for members to watch while they work-out. 10. Advertise children's centers and then close them after young families sign-up. 11. Advertise juice bar and have none.

12. Constantly BLAST loud info commercials or rap music, and it's the same music every day. Everyone uses earbuds to stay sane. 13. Many machines LOOK like they have connection to radio or TV but it's all broken or not connected. 14. Staff will lie and deny there is a problem if you complain, 15. Make sure all machines are working before you join. 16. Many advertised classes never happen. Instructors are always quitting. Look for how long people have worked at a club. ALWAYS ask for experience and training when club personnel talk to you. Use these 16 points as a checklist.

Original review: June 30, 2018

The sauna has been untouched for a week. The same trash has been in the same location. No upkeep whatsoever. They also don't monitor the activity of their members. Several times I have walked into the sauna or showers where man are engaging in sexual activity. This HAS to stop.

Original review: June 30, 2018

JUNE 29 2018, This place is a GIANT SEPTIC TANK pool and spa. You will actually see solids (fecal) in the water. The employees (salesperson-manager) are rude, immature and have No respect or any type of professionalism. They make fun of members so loud and ignorant that they don't even care for the members to hear. My wife and I have shared our concerns with them and basically, they say, "No worries. We will work with that." You turn your back and again 0.00 respect.

In 12 years we never saw a team of employees so immature with not even moral principles or use their FREE common sense given by nature. It feels for us to be paying for a membership for a NASTY SEPTIC TANK and in top of that been bully and abuse by the same employees in a really (negative and **, indecent, **, salacious, dirty, filthy, **, explicit, lewd, rude, vulgar, coarse, crude, offensive, immoral, improper, impure, degenerate, depraved, debauched) environment from the same employees. My wife and I canceled our membership today after 12 years.

Original review: June 29, 2018

I was in a city for one month so I needed a gym membership for just 1 month. The closest gym was a LA fitness, I went into the office and made my intention clear (one month membership). The sales associate let me know that he was signing me up for month-to-month and I'd need to call to cancel. Fast forward, my month is over. I call the location to cancel. I'm told I need to show up in person to cancel. I demand my original sales associate who denies ever saying that. Finally, I drive to another LA fitness location just to cancel. After some tinkering with the computer, I'm told I'd need to call headquarters and that for some reason he doesn't have permission to cancel my account.

So I call headquarters, after getting some runaround I need to cancel by mail, the person notifies me that they canceled my account and I should get some email confirmation. I hang up, and go about my day. Only several hours later do I realize that email confirmation never came. I tell myself if I see a charge on my CC I will then cancel my card. Fast forward, and I look at my statement and do indeed see a $34.99 charge from LA fitness. I immediately call the merchant demanding an explanation and after another run-around (mail in to cancel) I just cancel my card and tell my bank that the $34.99 charge is fraud.

Fast forward and I get a phone call from LA fitness associate asking me to update my card details. I tell the associate I canceled my membership and don't want them to bother me anymore. She politely tells me she will put a note in my file so I'm never called again. Today I was just called by another LA fitness associate asking me to update my card details. I told him I canceled my membership and he began to tell me my membership wasn't canceled and I needed to mail in a letter blah blah blah. I hung up on him. At this point I'll just take the minor ding on my credit report if they send it to collections. But this is a warning to the prospective user not to enroll with LA fitness. I thought that certainly a large company wouldn't engage in such shady practices. I was wrong.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I have been trying to use my United Health Care membership to enjoy a 50% discount on my membership. L.A. Fitness is the only gym nationwide to insist on using an online form to receive this discount. I have been misdirected to 3 different websites to complete my registration and each website more frightful than the previous. I get booted off each site; my passwords are not accepted; etc. I have gone to the club and the manager could not even fill out the online forms.

L.A. Fitness also lied to me about the temperature of their pool. I am disabled and need a warm-water exercise pool. I was told that the pool would be 84 and 85 degrees. When I first joined, the temperature was exactly that. After Christmas, the pool was changed to 80 degrees, maybe 81. My friends and I called different clubs nationwide. All pools were kept at 84 degrees, which is perfect. Our manager refuses to raise the temperature to comply with their initial pitch. I believe that this club is trying to help the lap swimmers who want a colder pool.

One pool cannot be all things to all people. Warm water or not; be honest. There are also more people in the aqua program than lap swimmers. Our classes have about 40 people a class. Or used to; many have dropped out. One gal became sick with bronchitis due to the chilly conditions. I have to wear a unitard in the pool with a shirt over it in order to do my workout. I hope that something can be done to help me with both of my problems.

Original review: June 11, 2018

If you're joining a gym for classes this is the wrong one. But most of them have a pool and a sauna. The machines are good and in good working order too. But it would be great if it had more classes that are more throughout the day.

Original review: June 11, 2018

LA fitness is competitive to the other big fitness franchises. I go to this one because it's the closest to where I live. I also like the fact that I could go to any of their facilities when they are maintaining the pool where they have aquafit exercises and jacuzzi - the reasons I go to this gym. They did offer me a reasonable price for the membership.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Age and condition of machines is very inconsistent from Club to Club. Same goes with the variety and caliber of machines. Clubs would be great if they stayed open later, especially over the weekends.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I spent over 7 years working out here and have been to most of the gyms in the Mpls/St. Paul/metro area. The biggest glaring issue for me at these places was rampant theft. I had my locker broken into at least once a year. At the LA in Mpls uptown almost every locker had streaks from hammers scraping into them from people breaking the locks. The staff plays completely aloof to any problems and feigns concern. The last theft I witnessed had me consoling a 90 year old man whose wallet had been emptied out. I was so upset I angrily confront the manager at the Inver Grove Heights location for a good 15 minutes. They have no plan or commitments to stop the issue. They just shrug it off. The old man never came back.

At one point (and my last straw) people were using the showers as their personal toilet leaving the remains behind. The curtains had to be stripped off to stop the problem. This is a big health hazard and the staff alerted no one! We had to demand to know why we didn’t have curtains anymore. One of the newer staff finally spilled the beans.

Due to its low cost you get low quality membership along with the ‘great deal’. Lots of roughnecks due to the cheap monthly dues and it bred a culture of theft real quick. Numerous times I pulled up to the club to see car windows shattered out at the Edina MN club. I learned to leave nothing in my locker but clothes as the break-ins were so common. Eventually as I got older I decided the cheap monthly dues aren’t worth people using the showers as toilets, that was my breaking point. I promptly switched to Lifetime Fitness, clean, safe, friendly. Complete 180 from LA fitness, I’m not a poor college kid anymore. I didn’t need to put up with the sloppy management.

Staff turn over rate is terrible of course, I always refused personal trainers and “free trials” but I’ve heard horror stories of people getting tricked into contracts. All in all it’s a bad place to be at. Never worked out at one that didn’t have theft issues. If you’re strapped for cash it’s ok, but leave any valuables locked in the glovebox of your car!

Original review: June 8, 2018

Guys enter sauna directly from working out without showering wearing their workout clothes and socks and are permitted to do so. Very disgusting. And just recently put a sign up that said "No Shoes" because they were actually just walking in the sauna fully clothed in some instances, some still walk in fully dressed in street garbs that they work out in as all don't use workout uniforms.

Original review: June 7, 2018

The gym is new and well equipped but there is a lack of friendliness from the staff. During the winter the temp inside was kept around 67-68F, most people wear sweaters and long pants.

Original review: June 6, 2018

After being approached by a "personal trainer" I did a lot of homework and found out they are on commission and try and trick you into training for free because it's "part of your membership". That is a lie. The 1st 20 min is a free consultation. They make you sign a contract and it costs anywhere from $240 to 600 a month! To have someone that's barely in shape show me how to do things I could teach them. Buyer beware if you cancel because you figure it out too late. It's $800 to $1200 off of whatever card you left on file.

Original review: June 6, 2018

1st - they don’t enforce the rules for the saunas. People enter saunas with their shoes & clothing on. 2nd - the charge to use multiple locations they should allow you two selections. Much more...

LA Fitness expert review by ConsumerAffairs

LA Fitness was founded in Southern California in 1984. Today it has over 300 locations across the United States and Canada. LA Fitness offers fitness equipment, group classes and personal training.

• Group fitness: LA Fitness offers a wide variety of fitness classes at its locations, including Boot Camp, Belly Dancing, Cardio Jam, Cycle, Hip Hop, Latin Heat and more. Use the fitness class locator tool on LA Fitness’s website to locate a class near you, learn what to expect and find out what to bring.

• Personal training: Certified trainers offer free one-hour fitness assessments for new members and additional training for a fee. A trainer can help you determine your pace, set goals and track your progress over time.

• Pools: Many LA Fitness locations feature heated indoor swimming pools, which provide a great low-impact fitness option. You can take swim lessons, swim laps or do group fitness classes in the pool.

• Kids Klub: Some LA Fitness locations feature a Kids Klub childcare service. Additional fees may apply.

• League events: LA Fitness offers league and team events throughout the year at most of its locations. These include basketball leagues, racquetball tournaments and many other competitive activities for those who like team fitness.

• Best for: fitness novices, athletes and fitness buffs.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs