LA fitness

LA fitness

1.1/5 (34 ratings)

About LA fitness

LA fitness Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LA fitness?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about LA Fitness?

Original review: April 29, 2022

I joined LA Fitness last summer because it was close to my home. Less than 6 months later they closed with no reason stated which is of course their right but they should not collect new membership fees without notifying members. They not only kept my membership initiation fee, they continued to bill me after I canceled my membership saying it had not been processed.

Original review: March 23, 2022

LA Fitness is the perfect blend of a "serious" gym and "casual" gym. A good mix of equipment, not too many loud weight-droppers, and generally clean and organized. Is it worth joining? Absolutely not. My wife canceled her trainer when the gym shut down for covid. We find out almost a year later that they had still been charging us because she apparently hadn't submitted a written request. She tried calling corporate and got yelled at, only to find out a week later when talking to our local branch that there was no record of her calling at all. So contractually they'll make you jump through all of these flaming hoops if at any point you want to stop paying them, but if your card expires you'll start getting calls constantly from LA fitness from many different locations until it's resolved. I think I got 13 calls in one day before I had a work break that let me actually pick up.

Find that your location is a little short on equipment? You can ask the front desk and they'll tell you that they work from a fixed template so they can't order more equipment, unless you ask why your location doesn't have a raquetball court like another location even though you pay the same rate... at which point suddenly that "fixed template" line isn't relevant. They're also one of the more egregious cases of charging you a ton for sign up fees so that you're disincentivized to leave. And don't even get me started on how little they enforced covid rules around masks and cleaning up at my gym. If there's any other gym chain near you, even if it's a slightly longer drive, go there instead. Their locations are nice, but eventually you'll get ripped off or hit with corporate double speak.

Get buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 23, 2022

Deactivation of account is a true hassle. I will have to cancel online and then take a print out and mail it in. What era are we living in? And the cancellation time is 2 months. This is a true corporate scheme to loot customer money. Please hire a developer and create an immediate Account cancellation feature.

Original review: March 8, 2022

Please do not buy personal training at LA fitness. They just enroll you in contract for 1 year, tell you all good things initially, tell you if it doesn’t work we will talk and make things right but none of them are responsible and no way out except to pay half of the training. They said they will freeze the account and that’s a trap... They just do it for 3 months. I had abdominal surgery. I couldn’t go. They said they can’t freeze more than three months which is again a nonsense stuff. It’s just a trap, please don’t fall for it. I wrote this review as I was fed up and they signed me up by saying all nice things but actually, it’s all trap.

Original review: March 1, 2022

LA Fitness, ESporta…It doesn’t really matter what they choose to call themselves these days—they’re still a greedy and deceptive corporation that takes advantage of good, hard-working people to make a buck. DEFINITELY DO NOT SIGN A CONTRACT WITH THEM!!! After you sign a one year contract for membership and personal training (like I stupidly did), they will rake you over the coals.

About two months into my personal training term, I had a change in employment that caused a reduction in pay and I could no longer afford my personal training. I called the gym to express my situation and request to downgrade from two personal training sessions a week to one. They were completely unsympathetic and noncompliant, telling me that no changes to my contract were possible until my term expired, which was 10 months away! So I went to my bank and got my debit card canceled. LA Fitness harassed me over the phone (I’m talking like two phone calls a day) to tell me that my payment was declined.

Finally, I gave in and returned the call, and I once again reiterated my situation. All they were willing to do for me was to place my account on hold for two months. Being the non-confrontational and honest person that I am, I consented, feeling like the right thing to do would be to fulfill my contract. In hindsight I wish I had just blocked their number and let it be, especially after what I’m about to share next…

Later in the year, I accepted a new job which would require me to move away. I gave my trainer notice a month in advance that I would no longer be able to attend the sessions and wanted to cancel. He said he would take care of it. Well, after I had moved I noticed that my account was still being drafted $360 a month!

I called LA Fitness to cancel, and the person answering the phone told me that he didn’t have the power to cancel but that he would write down my name and number and have the manager call me back. I gave it a week, but of course I never got a call back. So I called again, and explained my situation to another person, who informed me that I needed to speak with the manager (they provided her name) within such and such hours. So I called the next day within those hours and asked for her by name. She told me she wasn’t in charge of accounts and that I needed to speak with a different manager, who wasn’t in that day (surprise, surprise).

I tried again and asked for that other manager, but he was never in when I called. Eventually, I got fed up with the whole run-around they were giving me over the phone and I went there in person and asked to speak with the manager in charge of accounts. Of course, he wasn’t in. So, at their request, I wrote a note addressed personally to him and including my name and phone number in which I explained in some detail my situation and that I needed this issue resolved. Two weeks went by. No phone call. So I reached out to my personal trainer. He said he spoke with the manager and that I needed to cancel in person. That would have been helpful information to hear from the other five people I spoke with on the phone!

Fortunately, I was in the area today and I went in person during a time when I knew he would be there. I sat down and reiterated my situation for the umpteenth time and told him I had called multiple times and even provided a handwritten note to be given to him. He said he never received it and that this is the first time he’s heard about it. I think either he lied to me OR none of the staff members who received my complaint by phone or in writing thought it important enough to relay the message to the powers that be. Anyway, he said he couldn’t do anything for me and that he would need to speak with the VP of LA Fitness.

My mom, who was also with us, asked, “My son called time and time again to get a hold of someone and he never heard back. How do we know you’re going to call the VP and follow up with my son?” He said, “Well, you’re just going to have to wait and see.” That has to be the most unconvincing response I’ve ever heard. Rather ironic, isn’t it, that they were completely RELENTLESS about getting in touch with me to resolve the issue with processing my payment method, but when I needed to cancel or get refunded it was IMPOSSIBLE to get any response. Long story short, I will be calling corporate and complaining because the shenanigans at my formerly local club have escalated it to the top. If anyone is reading this who is even slightly considering joining with LA Fitness or ESporta…DON’T!!!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2022

To whom it may concern,

Please kindly read below story of the experience and be advised I will publish this experience as review for LA Fitness in anywhere across the USA so people can judge and make proper decision, as staff are important pictures to represent any company; I After being about 4 yrs member of la fitness at road to Six Flags at Arlington tx,took a guest who is member of fitness connections in Dallas Texas, to my home gym at road to six flags in Arlington Texas.

Upon arriving to the gym we had to wait as no one was attending the front desk till a girl came, After introducing myself and my guest a very rude front desk girl who later introduced herself as a manager (probably younger than 25 yrs old), told me that I don't have a guest privilege which is $20 east extra per month and I cant take a guest.

I told her I am a signature member and my family pays about $90 per month and after 4 yrs this is my first guest I ever took with me, and I always get emails from la fitness to encourage taking guest for free trial (which is a way to gain new members), and this gym is my home gym. She told me NO rules are rules. I told her go ahead and *** cancel my membership and she called another new girl (as I am at this gym for almost 4 yrs, I saw her being trained and worked there for last 2 or 3 months as sales rep), who turned out being completely a B and instead of helping to gain a potential customer (my guest), she encouraged me to cancel because la fitness don't care but rules are rules. Later I asked her name and she was introduced as Amaya. I used to be a GM 20 yrs ago in fitness industry and I absolutely believe this is not the policy of la fitness.

The argument escalated and they called the personnel trainer I guess in management by the name of James. I showed him the emails I get from la fitness encouraging to take guest for free trial and he was super nice and helpful. Also showed him a free pass which is published on la fitness website but these staff didn’t honor it and gave me so much headache. James helped my guest to get the guest registration through the app. Then he asked the rude girl Amaya to process the guest pass but SHE DECLINED! I guess she thought my guest is upset with the greeting and she didn't see a potential. James asked another girl to process the guest pass and my guest was allowed to use the facility after all these dramas!

Lifetime fitness is about 10 mins from me and with $79 compared to $49 I'd pay, I'd get more respect and I always go to their facility with my friend. Does it worth to stay with la fitness for $30 a month if la fitness treatment to value the customers like this. I'd like to be contacted by the management and if this is not Addressed probably cancel my family membership.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

The worst idea I ever had was to give a gym a chance. I lost my job last month and had 2 months left on my 6-month personal training contract. I decided I should just pay the last couple of months so I don't have to deal with the hassle. WRONG. They will make it the worst possible experience on you to cancel AT THE END of your contract. No one will help me. Everyone talks about how I have to go in and "Talk to the manager" to cancel. This is the worst thing in the world.

Not to mention that the $500 a month I'm paying for 8 30-MINUTE sessions is ridiculous! $62.50 per session. Can't even use them all because they don't have availability... and do you know how much they pay trainers PER HOUR? $12.50. Not ok. They are getting my $120+ per hour, regardless if I go or and not and that's all their trainers get from it??? That's crazy. I have never been so irritated and angry at a company in my life. This is ridiculous and people need to know not to let places like this treat their employees and customers this way. This is not ok.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2022

Highly disappointed. I have signed up for 6 months for personal session. But they billed me even after that for 4 classes every month. When asked they said that the personal director before did not do good job by not informing us to downgrade. So we had 37 sessions in our account which are going to be wasted because we cant transfer or get refund for and we are going to different location.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2022

I have repeatedly asked mgmt to enforce mask wearing since half of the gym don't even wear it as a chin strap. The manager doesn't think there is one in Yonkers, New York location. There are half of the treadmills and some other cardio equipment that have been broken for months and not repaired and the the pool leaks onto the gym floor. The mgr doesn't like to answer any questions and half of the employees do not wear a mask either.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2022

I was living in Pittsburgh for 6 months and unfortunately signed up for personal training. I was informed upon signing that I could easily cancel since they knew I was moving. Now that I have moved this is not the case. Since I am living with family the first month I do not have a utility bill with my name on it which they “need” to cancel my membership. I’ve spoken to 4 different people at my location since and received conflicting information between everyone.

I was charged $220 on Monday and was informed I would be reimbursed since I would not be using my membership anymore/froze my account for the time being. I even called corporate and now they are saying I can not get my money back. If I had known this ahead of time I would have never signed up in the first place. I liked my trainer but LA fitness seems to only care about making money and taking advantage of their customers. Everyone who works there gives misinformation and it seems they will tell you whatever you want to hear just to sign up. I will not be using them ever again.

LA Fitness author review by Joey Thurman

LA Fitness was founded in Southern California in 1984. Today it has over 300 locations across the United States and Canada. LA Fitness offers fitness equipment, group classes and personal training.

• Group fitness: LA Fitness offers a wide variety of fitness classes at its locations, including Boot Camp, Belly Dancing, Cardio Jam, Cycle, Hip Hop, Latin Heat and more. Use the fitness class locator tool on LA Fitness’s website to locate a class near you, learn what to expect and find out what to bring.

• Personal training: Certified trainers offer free one-hour fitness assessments for new members and additional training for a fee. A trainer can help you determine your pace, set goals and track your progress over time.

• Pools: Many LA Fitness locations feature heated indoor swimming pools, which provide a great low-impact fitness option. You can take swim lessons, swim laps or do group fitness classes in the pool.

• Kids Klub: Some LA Fitness locations feature a Kids Klub childcare service. Additional fees may apply.

• League events: LA Fitness offers league and team events throughout the year at most of its locations. These include basketball leagues, racquetball tournaments and many other competitive activities for those who like team fitness.

by Joey Thurman Fitness and Nutrition Advisor

Joey Thurman is a nationally recognized and spin certified health, fitness, nutrition expert and television host He is the author of "365 Health and Fitness Hacks That Could Save Your Life." His work has been featured in publications such as Men’s Health, U.S. News and World Report, NPR, People Magazine, Shape, NY Post, Fitness Magazine, ‪Women's Health and many more.

LA fitness Company Information