1.34/5

1625 LA fitness Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

It was my first meeting with Chad Tuesday. I would recommend him. Derrick helped me join. Both men have a great personality, no pressure. glad to be a new member. I have mentioned the club to many friends and coworkers. Several have expressed interest I, couldn't ask for more. I was a member at the JCC for 5 years and it didn't fit my needs. LA Fitness is better equipped, cleaner and the equipment is more than I had hoped for. Wish the pool was a bit warmer since I swim for physical therapy. A steam room would be fabulous. No complaints.

Original review: June 11, 2018

LA fitness is competitive to the other big fitness franchises. I go to this one because it's the closest to where I live. I also like the fact that I could go to any of their facilities when they are maintaining the pool where they have aquafit exercises and jacuzzi - the reasons I go to this gym. They did offer me a reasonable price for the membership.

Get expert buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 5, 2018

The equipment is kept in great working order and the locker room is clean and also in great condition. The staff is friendly and helpful too. The facilities are large and include racketball, full court basketball, swimming pool, steam room and whirlpool, two exercises rooms for classes and a special fitness training area to be used with a trainer.

Original review: June 4, 2018

My gym meets my needs although at times it is a little crowded and the racket ballers sit on the machines instead of the benches provided. But like all gyms people that sit on a machine and read their e-mail are the most annoying thing but I don't see what can be done by any gym about that.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Lucky for me I know what I'm doing at the gym. The employees there are worse than useless, they are actively non-responsive. Cleanliness is okay on at certain hours, I'm sure they just don't have the staffing to do any better. I was grandfathered in from Vision Quest and only pay $16 a month. I would not go here if I had to pay full price.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LA Fitness?

Original review: May 15, 2019

I took membership and continued for one week. I had to cancel because of relocation. I have followed long process to cancel the membership. but they are continuously charging me since last four month... Even after cancellation.... Maybe this still continues....

Original review: May 12, 2019

On or about April 12th I received a phone call for a LA Fitness representative in regards to a past due bill for March and April 2019. It is at that time I requested for my membership to be cancelled and a final bill be mailed to the address on file. The representative informed me my final bill was $61.98. On April 14th I received an email in regards to the past due amount and it is at that time I requested for a final bill as well. As of today I have not received confirmation that my membership was cancelled. Also I see charges in the amount of $30.99 three times and $5.00 attempts daily on my card statement.

I received a reply after two months indicating membership cancellation is only in person to verify it’s actually you. My issue with that is how can you verify it’s me when you call to request payment over the phone? When you send an email to the address on file and I reply with the card or membership number why isn’t that sufficient to cancel my membership? I literally called my back to block them from charging my card on file. I’m only paying for the two months because that was explained over the phone or email back in April when I requested the membership cancellation.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I wish I had read all the reviews here before signed up for the gym. They're truly selfish and care for the money more than anything. Once you signed up for them, they never care about your problems. Before then they were trying to reach out to me to try their training sessions until I decided to sign up. Even though I told them I could not do a contract, I'd be moving out in like in 5 months, they said not a problem; they can take of it. The contract help me get better deal, that's all they want to help me. How's nice right?

Then, it's time, I'm moving out and trying to cancel the membership and trainings. I told them like 2 months in advance, so everything can be done smoothly. And, at least 3 times that they told me they’ll call me back the same day about my issues, but never; even though I went to see them in person couple times too. I ended up going to a different gym for helps. Until now, I do not even know if everything are solved for sure. I seriously do not want to talk to them for this problem anymore, especially if I'm not in the US. I seriously feel desperate. Sometime I want to report this to the police, not to sue them, just to protect my right that I have tried my best, but they did not do their job.

I wish I never deal with them in my life. Life is busy enough for moving out of the country, to cancel Xcel Energy and internet service are way easier. TRUST ME! Join the gym that's not so much about business, like YMCA, a university gym. Even though it could be more expensive, you’ll for sure not have to deal with people trying to sell personal training, charging you for the annual fee (out of nowhere), and dealing with cancellation that's totally nonsense.

Original review: May 6, 2019

This people are selfish people that only care about making money and do not care of actually helping their members. I am now have to deal with their headache and trying to purchase a home. Never again.

Original review: May 1, 2019

I was looking for a place to play indoor basketball in Florida so I tried the L.A. Fitness by my work. I went with the cheapest option to use the facility and play ball. The initiation fee was $75. Then it was about $37/mo with the 'annual fee' of $52. WAY too much money to play basketball!

Original review: April 30, 2019

The WORST customer service I have EVER seen in my life. They sign you up and then they neglect you. Once you sign up they don’t care about you anymore. I talked to literally everyone for some help with my personal training. They charged me almost 200 dollars a month for personal training excluding membership fees and they don’t have trainers available. What’s funny is right before you sign LA FITNESS personal training manager makes you feel everyone is there for but in reality no one is because they already got you. STAY AWAY FROM LA FITNESS.

Original review: April 28, 2019

This gym like most has its supply of immature bullies that think they're Hercules Unchained. Unfortunately, on two occasions I've experienced this incivility. Being a senior, I won't tolerate this nonsense. Btw, there's no presence of any representatives around anywhere, and therefore, no supervision of these "gen pop" folks. One incident occurred today and so I searched for a manager to inform of the situation. When I reported it to Tyler the "director of personal training" he began laughing and said it's my problem to deal with. I had him cancel my membership on the spot. If you don't mind an unsupervised prison yard, then this is the place for you.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I want to give LA fitness no star, but unfortunately, there is no option for that. Yesterday, I went to LA Fitness in Long Island and trying to cancel my gym membership. The front desk guy told me I have to come back tomorrow because they only make the cancellation from 9 AM to 5 PM. I ask: "What do you have to do to cancel the membership?" The guy said, “I have to click the cancel button, but I can't do that right now because of the policy. Or you can print out the form and mail it to the company.” Of course, I am not going to spend extra money to mail a form just to cancel my gym Membership.

Today, I went back to the gym at 0935. The staff told me the only person can do the cancellation is the operation manager, but he haven't come to work yet. I wait there until 1020. I ask the staff if they can call him. The staff was not willing to do that. The staff told me to write down my number. When the manager gets to work; they will call me. (They never call). Somehow my heart tells me I should go to a different gym. So I went to a different LA FITNESS. I am happy that I was able to get my gym membership canceled. The operation manager service in this LA fitness not any better. She gave me an bad attitude. I'm not even going through the detail. That just going to make me angry. This is the first time I wrote a review. I don't want other people have to go through the same thing that I did. Also I do not recommend the personal trainer with them. I'm sure you can find a better one and with better price too.

Original review: April 18, 2019

Caution! Think about seeing your kids with broken arms or bloody face one fine day with thousands of dollars medical expenses and painful nights - This is where Kids Club at LA Fitness welcomes you even when you are paying higher monthly membership with respect to other Gyms. My 5 years old daughter got injured very badly. When I asked for CCTV footage, manager informed that they did not put camera there due to legal constraints as that would require more parameters to implement before they get the eligibility. This is just to cover up their lack of supervision, high level of carelessness, negligence to safety and least responsibility.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Each time I have been to the sauna at the Lynnwood LA Fitness, there are women talking in very loud voices to each other across other people - very inconsiderate. I have asked management to address this situation and it seems they have had other complaints about it. They do nothing - a simple notice to please keep your voices to a respectful level posted on the door would be so easy. But they refuse to - instead they ask the other guests to control the situation. They are so lackadaisical about member concerns once they get your monthly dues - it seems that is all they care about. They have been through manager after manager at this location, and it seems they forget to train them in Customer Service - they seem to disregard the fact that they are there for US. Sad way to run a business.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I had moved to a different city, so I wanted to cancel my membership with LA Fitness. I went to their office area, and was told I need to only cancel with the their office manager, who only worked at 9-5pm which were inconvenient for people who work those hours. The saleswoman told me however that I was able to cancel my membership with a form that that was convenient as I would moved to a different city as it would take me an hour to go to the gym to cancel in purpose. I send in the mail. This was much easier for me. So I had submitted the form to the main office in LA, California. I did not think of anything afterwards.

For the following months I was still charged for my membership, even though I had submitted the paperwork to a T. I then called my bank to halt the charges as they were incorrect charges. Again I didn't think of it any further. I then was called multiple times by LA Fitness collections that I need to pay my monthly dues. I have told them my prior cancelation process. They then told me that they did not have the authority to cancel my membership. I told them to then take it on their end to someone within LA Fitness to cancel my membership. They told me they were unable to do so.

My last resort was to call their main office number to cancel my membership. At that point I was able do. However my membership would have a negative balance. The customer service representative would told me that it would not go to collections and if I chose to start a new membership, it would be a different account. I have worked with other gyms such as 24 Fitness and Planet Fitness. With those gyms, I could talk to anyone who was at the front desk to cancel my membership. Not so with LA Fitness. This has been the only gym that has been the most challenging to cancel a membership. The experience has been frustrating, annoying, and a waste of time. LA Fitness specifically has this system to maintain a revenue for them. I suggest to never use this service unless it was the only gym in your area, and you know you will moving at any means for work, pleasure, or family.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I was told 1 thing at the Doral FL location and another over the phone w/ customer service. I wanted to add 2 members and a guest to my husband's acct. I was told I could not do this. Lie NO 1. I had to open a new membership. I had an online offer for $0 down for family add ons and was told they would honor at the loc. Lie No 2. Long story short I was told and it was handwritten on a piece of paper that I would be paying 74.98 a month.

Lie No 3. I was charged $122.00 and then another $37.99 the same month. I have tried several times to speak to someone at the Doral but either they do not speak well English to understand and I even heard a chuckle from the man with the broken English as well, which supposedly was the accounts manager. I called customer service. They said I have to go the the Doral location and back and forth. It's so unprofessional frustrating. I still do not have a clear answer to the billing issue. If all would have gone well I could have put 2 new members add ons to my husband's account and call it a day. I feel ripped off and have wasted so much time on this issue.

Original review: April 4, 2019

Three months ago I signed up. I’ve been here several times before and I was a pleased with the services about 2 -3 years ago. Today it’s a-shame at how they do people. I thought I can trust them to take out the $29.99 dollars every month only. Well today not only did they snatch $29.99 from me; but also $49.99 the next second. Right beside my bank statement says an annual fee. I called these money hungry vampire scumbags and this lady tells me. Well we charge an annual fee after three months. I told her it’s not even a whole year yet. And flew down there to cancel immediately.

Then I respectfully asked if they offer refunds for my $49.99 since it was not a whole year to even take out “annually” because like I said. IT'S ONLY BEEN THREE MONTHS since I’ve joined. She reacted they way I was hoping she would not. She came off very negative, defensive, as well as being sarcastic (The whole time I’m talking to my aunt in the phone about this horrible experience). I told her look I don’t feel like hearing all that I just want to cancel and get out of here. She says your cancellation done. Then I asked her can I have a print out. She does it and sarcastically says have a good day, which this company ruined my entire day. Left me with less money in my bank and then finds a way to get nasty because you are leaving them. My advice buy your own gym equipment and set it up in the privacy of your own home. I will never let another greedy money making gym pimp take out my account as long as I live.

Original review: April 2, 2019

It feel like that they are determined to get money from you by pulling any tricks possible. First they said no annual fee, good price and access to any LA fitness. After we sign up they send us change notice and we have to pay higher monthly fee than what we agreed to and they lost our original paperwork we signed. Next they said it does not include any LA fitness just local one. Yesterday we got update that we have to pay annual fee. I waiting what will be next. But we are in process to change to different place. So be careful. They are there to get you.

Original review: April 2, 2019

Member of this LA Fitness location for 5 months. Staff does not interact or police gym at all. Main complaint-broken equipment and jerks who have video conferences, no headsets, yelling at each other - can you believe it! I ask about cell phone policies and they have no idea what I'm talking about. If someone walked around and kicked the jerks off equipment who are just sitting and talking on phones, we could actually get a routine done.

Original review: April 1, 2019

I signed up on Dec 29th and paid 198 and I was told 24.99 a month was what I would pay. Now on April 1st a mysterious annual bill pops up on my Reddit card for 49.99 for one thing in 4 months is NOT annual and where did this come from. I was never told of any other bill. For the other part of this review their hours are terrible. If any other gym shows up close enough to use I will leave and never look back. RIP OFF ALERT! ON THE ONLY GOOD NOTE PEOPLE AT THE FRONT ARE NICE BUT AS A COMPANY THIS IS A TOTAL RIP OFF.

Original review: March 30, 2019

I was planning on joining the club in Randolph since my family relocated recently from South Jersey, NJ. Upon arriving I was told that the class I was interested in was cancelled, but Kevin took my information anyway and I was told to download the 4 days pass and come back. I asked Kevin if I can take a walk around the gym and he did allow it, but never suggested he will take me around to show the facility or tell me more about the club/answer any questions. While walking around by myself I saw the class actually wasn't cancelled and I did try it out.

Today, I came to the gym to try a yoga class and was told by Kevin that he cannot use my downloaded 4 day pass because I already used my one day pass. I was never warned that I will not be able to use the 4 days pass and that on the day I had my first visit I'm using a 1 day pass. Kevin and the other manager just laughed at me basically and said they've been there for many years and it is always like that. They never even apologized for not explaining it to me on the first visit or for any inconvenience, when I asked for the phone # to call I was provided with the # that is no longer in service. My husband has been a member of LA Fitness for 17 years now in South Jersey, and it is very disappointing to have an experience like this at the new place which we were considering to join. If this is the customer service for the potential members what can we expect when we join?

Original review: March 28, 2019

I am a current member, soon to be a former member of LA Fitness. I have been a member for almost 4 years and they have low level customer service. At their Alexandria Virginia location on Heneska Lane, their Director of training, Justin is the reason I will be ceasing my membership. He was very manipulative with trying to get me to sign up with a trainer. He was personable and friendly, but once he knew I had to “think on it” he became so rude, dismissive, disrespectful and mean. He told me “ we don’t need you to sign up, we have 1,500 members at this location” and also said “if you sign up it’s no benefit to me and it’s something for you, we don’t need you to sign up”.

In an attempt to sale the training sign up, Justin devalued the group classes such as Pilates and yoga and deemed them “old lady classes” which was a shock to me and I responded with “that's not nice, those are paying customers”. It was such a turn off and I immediately asked for a manager. They informed me a manager was not on site and would not give me a last name of the manager. This location is very unprofessional and sadly I spend money here only to be mistreated and uncared for.

Original review: March 22, 2019

Worse gym ever. The employees are rude. For all the times I tried to go swim, the pool is either dirty, crowded, someone is adding cleaners or noisy maintenance. For few times, at around 6:00 am,while I am entering, an employee would stop me to ask to take a photo. A person called many times to schedule a personal training. I said I am busy. He insisted. I agreed just to escape this continuous calling. At the day of the appointment (it took me a lot of efforts to fit his time to my schedule) he called and canceled claiming he has a conference call!! Seriously? I said fine. He started calling back again. He didn't stop until I went and found him in person and said, "I will find you when I need a personal eval, please stop calling me." I went few times in the early morning and the pool was so crowded, so I returned home without exercising.

Today, I went to cancel my membership and the woman was extremely RUDE. She lied about my obligations claiming that I need to pay half the rest of the contract year fees, or stay as a member until the end of that year. I told her that I am not aware of such rules and that I was informed about $50.00 cancellation fees only. Hum, she changed her words. I asked her to subtract the leftover fees of March from the cancellation fees, since I will not use the gym EVER AGAIN. She refused. Now I am paying LA fitness money for a service that I do not want or use. Fraud!!! The location is Westworth, Tarrant County, TX.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I have recently joined the LA Club in Houston. At the time I joined, I paid for the multi club access and when I showed up they said my membership was for single club access; However, after several phone calls, the club corrected the problem and I could go to any location if needed. Three months later I got hit for a yearly membership charge (which I wasn't made aware off during the signing up) and when I call the local club manager and was told that it is written in the contract and it's up to me to read, they are not obligated to advise you at the point of signing up contract.

So I went ahead and cancel the membership even I just paid the full year membership. Lastly, they do not make the cancellation process that easy, you must go to the club to do it or create an online account before you can download the cancellation form. Overall, I wish that I can give them 1/2 star because that is what LA Fitness Club is worth. I should have read the reviews before joining this club.

Original review: March 12, 2019

Machines always broken and not repaired for months. I informed staff and he just blew me off that they are fine even though the ellipticals don't incline and click loudly. Always packed at 9am 10am. People in Corona don't work!!! Come here if you want broken machines and packed with people all the time.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

Little Rock, AR - LA Fitness on University Ave. has no women’s basketballs and have approximately 6 men’s available. I asked them for a women’s and they stated it’s not even on the LA Fitness equipment order form! How is this even possible?!? I’ve contacted corporate and the guy who answered stated no one has even brought this up? I informed him I will continue to call until this is changed.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

This isn't a complaint about the facility, which is well equipped. However, it's a real pain as far as dealing with the sales staff! When I went in to sign up, I was given a couple of options, both with hefty "registration" and "service" fees and I was told I had to sign up for a year. I mentioned that it was quite possible that I wouldn't be in the area for a year, and I was assured that that was no problem -- I could sign up for the year and then if I moved, I could bring in a letter with my new address (to prove I had moved) and they would cancel the membership. That didn't sound all that good to me, so I said I would have to go home and think about it. When I got home, I got another sales call to get me to sign up.

I said I would think about it. Then I got an email, once again detailing the "great deal" I could get if I signed up now. I noticed -- in small letters -- that there was a link that said something like "view other membership options" so I clicked on the link. Lo and behold, there was a four month membership listed and if I paid the four months up front, there were no additional "registration" or "service" fees!

So I went back in and told another sales rep I was ready to sign up. At first, he acted as if he didn't know anything about a four-month plan. But I told him it was on the information that was sent to me and that was the plan I wanted; he managed to find it and I signed up. Then I was told I would have one free personal training session as part of the deal, which I assumed would include an assessment, an intro to the machines so I could be sure I was using them properly and a bit of a workout. Not exactly. There was a brief assessment that lasted about 15 min.

I was shown one exercise that would help address one of my weaker areas. Then I was told we needed to go back to the desk to finish the assessment. There I did a quick biometric test and the rest of the hour was spent trying to get me to buy into a personal training contract that ALSO included $199 in sign up charges and then $60 to $70 per session in addition...which also had to be on a 12 month contract. When I said I might not be in the area for that long, I was told it would be possible to get a six month contract, or I could pay for a block of training sessions, but then I would have to pay more money.

When I said I thought it was too expensive, it was suggested I could work with one of the less senior trainers which would save me $5 a session. Then I was told that if I signed up right away, he had this one coupon left where he could get me $50 off of the registration, bringing it down to only $149 instead of $199... Although I might have been interested in a less intense option for the span of time I planned to use the facility, it was clear to me that I was being pressured into fitting into a contract to suit the company, not me, and that the extra fees were total BS. So I declined. I never did get any intro to the machines...

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I joined the LA Fitness club in Clark, NJ when it opened in the summer of 2015. At that time they had a Grand Opening special of $0 initiation fee and $29.99 a month for multi club access throughout the state, $19.99 for single club access. First and last months payment up front. I signed for the full access, $29.99. I gone for over 3 1/2 years to other LA Fitness clubs all over NJ, then the beginning of 2019, they become a “Signature Club”. I found that out when my credit card was charged for visiting the LA Fitness in Union, I inquired why I was charged and was told because I only have single club access. I said, since when? I always had multi since this club opened.

I have a copy of my original contract, the way it was put in on the computer says “single access” and there was no mention of the grand opening promotion, they only said that because you didn’t pay an initiation fee, you can only use this club. Well excuse me, nowhere on my paperwork does it say that and that’s not what was explained to me when I joined. I called the manager, no help. I called corporate, no help. I asked why wasn’t I charged the last 3 years at the other locations if I only had single access? No one could answer me. They’re scammers. Bait and switch. They’ll say and do anything to get a sale. My credit card was charged without authorization or my knowledge. Never got my money back. They need to be stopped. This has to be illegal.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Today is my second day at the LA Fitness Club and I will not go back!!!! I will call LA Fitness and cancel my membership, hopefully there won't any problems with my cancelation, hopefully it won't take 2 months, hopefully there are no hidden costs... What prompt my cancelation???? I have bad feeling about this "new Club" and I never go wrong about my intuition or perhaps my educated guess. I wish I would have noticed certain aspects of the Club which I do not like before signing the membership. It seems to me that they operate under the same Old game... "I will say and do everything to get you to signed..."

For me is important the way the service is executed, politeness, friendliness, positive attitude and good manners are vital. After all a fitness club should be a place where we all can feel relax and enjoy the benefits of our hard earned money!! Btw there is large amount of retirees using the facilities at this Club and I do not think they are treated kindly. I do not want to be in a place where the elderly are treated poorly, retirees deserve to be treated with the utmost respect. A smile will create wonders. Lucky for me there are many studios in Town run by high calibre people whose sole desire is to make you feel welcome, relax, such attitude is the reflection of their honesty and good will. Nothing can replace those elements.

LA Fitness expert review by ConsumerAffairs

LA Fitness was founded in Southern California in 1984. Today it has over 300 locations across the United States and Canada. LA Fitness offers fitness equipment, group classes and personal training.

• Group fitness: LA Fitness offers a wide variety of fitness classes at its locations, including Boot Camp, Belly Dancing, Cardio Jam, Cycle, Hip Hop, Latin Heat and more. Use the fitness class locator tool on LA Fitness’s website to locate a class near you, learn what to expect and find out what to bring.

• Personal training: Certified trainers offer free one-hour fitness assessments for new members and additional training for a fee. A trainer can help you determine your pace, set goals and track your progress over time.

• Pools: Many LA Fitness locations feature heated indoor swimming pools, which provide a great low-impact fitness option. You can take swim lessons, swim laps or do group fitness classes in the pool.

• Kids Klub: Some LA Fitness locations feature a Kids Klub childcare service. Additional fees may apply.

• League events: LA Fitness offers league and team events throughout the year at most of its locations. These include basketball leagues, racquetball tournaments and many other competitive activities for those who like team fitness.

• Best for: fitness novices, athletes and fitness buffs.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs