LA fitness

LA fitness
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.13/5

Lose weight for good. How much can you lose?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Lose weight for good. How much can you lose?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

LA fitness Reviews

Original review: Jan. 12, 2020

What can I say for a company that charge so much to the members to use the Gym. It’s a joke. The place is dirty, old machines, broken air conditioning 90 % of the time, broken machine that takes months to fix. Smell horrible everywhere. I wish Crunch will open one across all the LA fitnesses. Get this Cheap corporation out of business for good.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

When joining LA Fitness, I inquired about their cancellation process to be sure I wasn't joining a gym that would lock me in as a member for life. I was told that cancelling was an easy process and that I could cancel at any time. Lo and behold, I am becoming an eternal member. When calling the local fitness club in September, I was told I could find the cancellation process in my LA Fitness account information.

I followed the steps and expected to hear back regarding the cancellation of my membership. I did not, so I sent an email and when I heard back, I was informed my cancellation was never received. Shame on me for not making a copy of the cancellation form or keeping my post office receipt. Calling the fitness club and requesting to cancel a membership isn't an option, although they tell you it is. Requesting to cancel via email isn't an option either. I am attempting to follow the cancellation process once again, however this time I will send the form via certified mail. Another issue, when requesting to cancel, you are not able to end your membership before the next billing cycle, but rather they hold you hostage for an additional billing cycle.

Get expert buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

They signed my daughter up for a contract over 500 dollars a month knowing she wasn't in a position to read the fine print and we have spent multiple hours trying to get out of it. They took our credit card number without a physical card in hand and signed us up for a long term contract that we have been unable to get out of. Regardless of a Dr's letter and multiple calls to corporate with bad attitudes we still are being bulled month after month for 500$ plus 24.95 plus an added 30 dollar charge. I'm sorry. Who spends that a month? The branch is West Goshen in Pennsylvania and I have the corporate ID numbers of several people I have spoken with who will not help us in any way. I have never encountered such horrible customer service in my life. Furthermore taking advantage of a family with a child who has an ongoing disease.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

I was at LA fitness at fletcher's creek in Brampton, Ontario this morning. I was there for a cycle class this morning. Every time when there is a class members prefer to leave the door open, reason being it gets really HOT during the class and with a lot of people's body heat. This morning one of the janitorial didn't allow me to leave the door open, I asked her the reason, she said she can't do anything. She was told by manager to keep the door close when there is a class. I went to the manager and explained him the situation, I didn't was anyone or myself to faint during the intense class. Manager was very very very RUDE, and gave me a reason for AC to kick in when door is closed, which makes sense and I agree. He also gave this reason that people working out outside the class have complained that they hear a lot of music and noise that disturbs their work out.

I request to LA fitness Management, please allow us to keep the door open during the class. Otherwise if something happens to anyone then management can be in big trouble. FYI, classes at LA fitness are intense with instructor. Some of the instructors are crazily intense which is good for workout. But please allow to leave the door open, if not full door, but at least half or quarter part.

Also, please make sure your managers have manners to talk to members, make sure that they have their morning coffees so they don't misbehave with any member at the Gym. I literally had to tell that manager, "You don't need to fight with me, I understand your issue but you need to be considerate to members." He also said he will come to the class to see how hot does it get. Which apparently he never showed up to see. I did talk about this to the other members of the class and they agree with my comments, I am not sure if they have talked to the manager or no.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

I had a contract with LA FITNESS for training sessions that expired on November 27th 2019. As I lost my contract I went to the facility in Noblesville to ask when was my last payment due and if I had to do anything else to cancel my contract. The person who talked to me (Alejandro) told me that I had nothing to do, once my contract was up I was not going to be charged anything else. I asked him, do I have to cancel my contract so I don't go on a month to month basis? He said to me "no, you don't have to, once your contract is up, then you are done". Trusting to his words I didn't do anything else and what it is my surprised that on December 27th I see that they withdrew $420.00 from my account when they said this was not going to happen...

I went to the gym to ask about it and first of all; Alejandro said not remembering having talked to me on November but when his manager started asking him questions about it he suddenly remember what he talked about with me but still could not remember having talked to me... (seriously?) Second, they then showed me that on my contract said that if I did not cancelled my contract then I would go on a month to month basis... Didn't I just went on November trying to avoid this???? They gave me false information, you cannot tell me read the contract because I didn't have it and that is why I went to asked them for this information...

Let's say that that was true (which is not) the month to month payment was due on the 27th, I went on the 27th and told them about it... Shouldn't they have just canceled it and refund my money back? Any other business does that!! While posting on Facebook this story I came across other people who have gone through the same experience with LA FITNESS; it seems this is a rip-off scheme they have going on and no one puts a stop. Even if it was written on the contract; they should have given me that information on November when I went talking to them and they gave me false information.

Now, they charged my account and told me like making fun of me... "you still have sessions you can use for this month"... as if I want to set foot ever again at that place! Customers cannot be rip-off this way; If I say to refund my money for a service you haven't been provided, they you refund my money, no questions asked! Obviously they didn't give me my money back and I will not go there and use my training sessions as I didn't agree on them. I don't know why customers have to be forced to pay for something we do not want. Hopefully someone can put a stop on this.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LA Fitness?

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

LA fitness is a corrupt place to workout, they will persuade you into signing up for membership and deceive you that the care about your fitness but in reality they are just interested in your money and they’re ready to take all your money from you. I don’t get it, is easy to sign up for a membership but when you want to cancel it, they will give you reasons and try not to cancel your account and will keep billing you.

For my experience, I opened an account on 11/18/2019 and they told me I am paying first and last month which was $70, after my first month I didn’t like the place mainly because the place stinks, and the bathrooms sucks, their equipment are old and there’s a freaking a lot of people and there’s no space to train. Not only that but also they Close the gym almost anytime without informing you, and change their schedule time as well, is not worth it so don't waste your money.

On 12/31/2019 I went there to cancel my membership and they said I should go home. Is done, I went home and saw that on my app it was still active. I called in and they asked me to come back in and cancel the account and I did that and they said they can only cancel it on 02/17/2020. Which doesn’t makes sense, because they are going to charge until February, but they didn’t mention that to me when I was opening the gym membership, I’m so done with LA Fitness. I will never ever advise anyone to open an account with them, they’re corrupt and liars.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2019

In actuality, the classes they claim they offer are not necessarily even offered in the relevant city/province/country you live in. I did the research and found out that many of their classes are only offered in a few states in the USA like Cardio Jam and HIP HOP. I am in Canada [Ontario specifically] and I did a country wide search and noticed based on provincial postal codes and US postal codes that very few of their gyms offer those classes that they list.

Cardio Jam is in New York and Philadelphia and Georgia, perhaps even in LA but not in all the US states and certainly not in any province in Canada. That goes for HIP HOP classes as well. Also a few others are not offered at all in Canada. I did not know this when I joined. I wanted to try all sorts of different classes and found out that selection is actually quite limited as to what they do offer even though I go to 5 different LA Fitness locations in Toronto to try different instructors classes. After two years I have decided to leave this gym.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

They discriminate against skinny people - or make you pay. They lock up the lightest weights in the training room, then tell you that you have to pay $200-$300 extra/month to access them. On top of that, the front desk person told her manager that I called her a "**." When I asked another employee who he said heard it, she admitted that I didn't. He wouldn't allow me to ask the accuser. After spending almost an hour (patiently - I was meditating!) waiting for a resolution, the manager got on the phone when I approached.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

WORST GYM ever. Don't join. They talk you into joining but then when you would want to close the membership, you are in a big mess. They would keep taking your money. Talking to customer care or managers don't help either.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

I join LA Fitness because it was the closest gym to my job and I wanted to look better for my future wedding in 8/2017. As of 8/2019 I have no longer been able to attend due to clash with schedules. You have to placed on their website that you are canceling and then send a letter to a PO Box. I have done the process twice. No one has received. I proceeded to change my credit card to prevent them from charging me. I didn’t see another option. Somehow they contacted my bank and my bank gave them my credit card number because they claim they saw the I was charged for this monthly and they thought they couldn’t get a hold of me.

Bottom line is I have been in gym for a while; Bally’s, 24 Hour Fitness and now LA Fitness but LA fitness is the only one who makes you jump though fire loops to cancel and even then they won’t cancel. LA fitness took over the Bally’s total fitness. They have not updated any of the equipment. It takes months to get equipment fixed when it breaks. They have cockroaches crawling on your legs as you are showering in multiple gyms. Most of the lockers are broken and it’s super easy to break into them. Worst gym ever. All they care about the money. Anyone considering joining this gym don’t. You will regret it forever. I am sure Louis Welch could afford to pay for membership he doesn’t need but we can’t or shouldn’t have to. This people are horrible. Think twice. I will go back to 24 hour fitness. Clean, better instructors, they help you easily and have no problems letting you go until you are able to come back.

Not sure about LA fitness?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right weight loss program for you.

LA Fitness expert review by Joey Thurman

LA Fitness was founded in Southern California in 1984. Today it has over 300 locations across the United States and Canada. LA Fitness offers fitness equipment, group classes and personal training.

• Group fitness: LA Fitness offers a wide variety of fitness classes at its locations, including Boot Camp, Belly Dancing, Cardio Jam, Cycle, Hip Hop, Latin Heat and more. Use the fitness class locator tool on LA Fitness’s website to locate a class near you, learn what to expect and find out what to bring.

• Personal training: Certified trainers offer free one-hour fitness assessments for new members and additional training for a fee. A trainer can help you determine your pace, set goals and track your progress over time.

• Pools: Many LA Fitness locations feature heated indoor swimming pools, which provide a great low-impact fitness option. You can take swim lessons, swim laps or do group fitness classes in the pool.

• Kids Klub: Some LA Fitness locations feature a Kids Klub childcare service. Additional fees may apply.

• League events: LA Fitness offers league and team events throughout the year at most of its locations. These include basketball leagues, racquetball tournaments and many other competitive activities for those who like team fitness.

• Best for: fitness novices, athletes and fitness buffs.

by Joey Thurman Fitness and Nutrition Expert

Joey Thurman is a nationally recognized and spin certified health, fitness, nutrition expert and television host He is the author of "365 Health and Fitness Hacks That Could Save Your Life." His work has been featured in publications such as Men’s Health, U.S. News and World Report, NPR, People Magazine, Shape, NY Post, Fitness Magazine, ‪Women's Health and many more.

LA fitness Company Information