1.34/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1589 LA fitness Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

LA Fitness on Hamilton Rd, Westerville OH is associated with trainer that doesn’t appear for their session, say will return the payment for 4 sessions in advance, and don’t answer texts when called upon. The club should be partly responsible by association and by employing unethical employee... Sad, disappointed, will cancel membership, not worth my time and money.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Totally took advantage of 80 yr old who was in need of physical therapy by selling him year-long membership and personal training for $360/mo. Was told this could be reversed with verification from a physician - which they did not honor! Scam!

Get expert buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I signed up for the month to month membership at LA Fitness on Cobb Parkway in Atlanta, GA back in summer. On my last day of using gym, I asked the front desk person to cancel my account and of course they said, “Sure we will take care of it.” Three months later, I noticed that they were still charging me for the monthly fee while I was not using the gym at all. When I called, I had to call multiple times and talk to different managers. Daniel (Assistant Manager) was very nice and understanding and he said that he will see what he can do and he will refund us for the months that we did not use the gym.

On the other hand Phillip (Operational Manager) contact me saying that he is not going to refund me anything. He was so unprofessional, rude and surely had no experience on talking to customers on the phone. When I asked him that I would like to talk to the upper manager he ignored me and did not provide me with further information. It is so disappointing to see how LA fitness representative is so disrespecting to customers and how irresponsible they are for taking care of their customers. Obviously this is the lack of training for the person who cancelled my membership but they collected extra $90 from me while they knew I did not use the gym.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

My family and I have been going to LA Fitness for over 11 years and for the last 8 month the jacuzzi have been broken at the LA Fitness at 8310 BIRD ROAD

MIAMI, FL 33155. I have spoken to all the managers and nothing has been done. I think as a customer that have been paying for so many years I should be heard not ignore. I have been mistreated every time I have asked for a timeline when will be fix. 8 month have been by and nothing. The jacuzzi service is offer when you sign up for the gym but is a lie when it doesn’t work. All I am asking is for it to get fix and I think 8 month is more than long in enough to get it fix.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I received an email from LA Fitness saying $24.99 monthly $0 initiation fee. When I showed the salesman at the Signal Butte Mesa AZ location my email he said "Yeah a lot of people are coming in with those and that's not right." So he basically stated that the ad was misleading and proceeded to sell me on a $35 monthly membership with an annual fee due on the third month. I'm canceling. I will work out at home.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LA Fitness?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Yoga classes: great instructors, but horrible ambiance - If I could give it a 0 star, I WOULD. Since the recent remodeling of this club; YOGA classes are now held in a room with full, bright lights that can not be dimmed. This is not conducive to a good yoga class. Managements is telling us, that headquarters in California, has control of all the lighting in the building. Supposedly, this club can not dim, lower or turn off some or any of the lights. I find this hard to believe.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

They don't tell you this, or at least they didn't tell me, that you will pay $273.86 for a six month membership. That is $45.64 per month. For what, the use of some machines. They don't provide much more than the machines. The location I visit doesn't even have a water fountain that fills water bottles. The employees are rude. Do yourself a favor, don't get involved with this company.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

Do not go to this gym. I have gone for 6 months and it has smelt like body odor every single time I've gone. I've been trying to cancel my membership for a month, but have had no success. First, I was told I could come in any day of the week during working hours to cancel my membership in person. I couldn't go in during the weekdays, as I work during those hours, so I went in on a Saturday. I was then told I needed to come in on a weekday as that is the only time an Operations Manager is there to cancel my membership. This is ridiculous and since I'm gone for the upcoming two weeks, I'm going to get billed yet again. Don't go to this specific location or LA fitness, in general.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

LA Fitness is a waste of money, the customer service is terrible. They make the cancellation of membership so inconvenient and difficult. They make so that even when you want to cancel they’ll still get a month's payment out of you. To prevent that I put a card with no money on it on file, and then removed my own debit card. They STILL charged the card I removed 280$ ON CHRISTMAS DAY! I’m so upset, I don’t expect to get my money back from them but I’m going to try my hardest. I’m going to drive to Irvine and hand deliver my cancellation letter so this evil thieving company doesn’t get any more money from me.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I really disappointed for two reasons, first Yoga instructors don't show up to do the classes or they change the class to another format without changing in the schedule online. The other reason is customer services, when you have a question or a complaint, nobody knows anything. Today I went to a Yoga class and I check the schedule before I went, when I got there, the class was canceled and when I ask to talk to the manager, there was no manager and when I explain the problem to one of the supervisors, the answer was: "I don't make that schedule, it is not my fault." All I was telling him was that they should cancel the classes at least 1 day before or several hours before the class, so people don't have to travel to the gym for nothing. In the last 2 month in 9 classes the instructors didn't show up (this is in 2 clubs, one in Pembroke Pines 184 st 6 classes and one in Sawgrass 3 classes.)

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

If I could give this business zero stars I would. I don't think it even deserves one. This gym is an absolute scam. I am a young girl and my dad offered to sign me up for a gym membership. The membership was not very expensive, the gym appeared to be large and clean, and I was very excited to join. However, I do not know what the best workouts for my goals are and so when I got a call from LA Fitness saying that because I signed up for a membership, I would receive a free consultation for the training program. I took the offer just to see what it was all about.

At the consultation, the head trainer, Leslie, explained to me the pricing and told me that with her help, I could achieve my goals within 6 months. I told her I would have to talk to my dad and get back to her. A few days later, my dad and I went in to talk about the training membership and go over pricing. My father and I decided it was too expensive and we could not afford it, and DID NOT sign the contract. A few days later my father received a charge for over $300. Confused, he called and they said they would refund the charge but did not. He ended up having to dispute the charge. He was then charged again for the same thing the next month.

Annoyed, I went in to cancel my membership completely in hopes that these charges would stop. I spoke to the manager who canceled my membership but told me I had a training contract. I explained the situation of how we looked into it but it was too expensive and that we chose to not sign the contract. He looked up the contract and was very confused to see a signature under my name. I told them I was positive neither my father or I had signed anything, and they proceeded to make me write down my name and signature on a piece of paper to compare it to the contract. As you may have guessed, it was not a match, someone else had signed my name. The manager canceled my membership but told me that I may receive a couple more charges, some random phone calls, and emails, but eventually they would go away. That was months ago, but I was naive and took that as an answer.

Fast forward to today, I was still receiving these charges, months after I had canceled my membership. I went in to talk to the manager and was ultimately told they couldn't do anything about it but the VP of LA Fitness "loves to get involved" and that he would call me before the business day ended. The business day has ended and I have received no call.

My father is a very busy single-parent supporting three kids, and he has absolutely no time to deal with this which means I am attempting to fix this alone. I am very disappointed in the way LA fitness has handled this situation, and I believes it shows that they do not value their customers what-so-ever. I wish I had read of these poor reviews before I attended this gym, but please warn those who may sign up in the future. Thanks.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Do not use their personal trainers. Their location in Woodbury Hts NJ has only one trainer. I am paid up for six months of personal training and have 30 training sessions in the bank which I haven't been able to use because they have no trainers. I called corporate and was told to go to another location which the closest is an hour during the times I go. So do not use their personal trainers. The salesperson lied about everything. And if you stop payment they will forward your contract to your bank or visa and they will take the money out without your permission.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I have been a member of this club since it was Holiday Spa back in the late '70s. I have always paid my dues on time, and over the past several years, I’ve paid online. I was surprised when I went to my LA fitness club in August of 2013, and was told that my membership was about to expire. I explained to them that I paid online and after bringing them proof from my bank, I was told that the payment had gone to Bally’s, and should have never been taken by them since the club was now owned by LA fitness.

I was then told that to keep my membership current, I had to pay LA fitness and then get my refund for the original payment from Bally’s. So I paid my yearly membership fee a 2nd time, and have since been trying to get a refund from Bally’s. I’ve not gotten any help from LA fitness or Bally’s, and my only recourse was to go public with my situation on websites like “Yelp.” Neither LA fitness or Bally's have made any attempt to rectify this after three different attempts to get a response.

Every time I walk into my local LA fitness club, I feel anger over the fact that I was forced to pay twice for one year’s membership. At the very least, it would be good public relations if LA fitness would simply credit me for the year I paid. I understand that my value as an LA fitness member is worthless compared to current memberships (because I've been a member so long, my yearly rates are a fraction of what current members pay), but in the interest of what’s fair, a credit to my membership would certainly be regarded as good customer relations.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

My locker was broken into in the Culver City Location. The customer service was not able to do anything, they were apologetic and said there is nothing they can do. I asked if they would do an internal investigation to see if they can find the member who broke into the lockers (the person actually broke into many lockers), they will not take any action and I would have to wait until the police assigns a detective to my case and start an investigation.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I have been a member of LA Fitness for several years, and after recovering from heart surgery, I wanted to train to improve my balance (I am 87). I agreed to the price per session and said that since I did not have my calendar with me I would call, set up 10 appointments, and at the same time, give them my credit card number. After doing this I received an email of a contract that had MY SIGNATURE FORGED ON IT that committed me to over $3,000! In addition my initials were FORGED on a statement that said that I read, understood and agreed to all the provisions of the FORGED contract. I did not even know that there was a contract to begin with. I confronted the employee and demanded that the contract be canceled immediately. No apology or explanation from the employees for FORGING my signature several times.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I started personal training at LA Fitness. It was good but they gave me wrong information about expiring date and I couldn’t use my sessions. They call for each and everything which connected to money but they don’t inform about other things which totally bad. Now I lost my money and I lose at my sessions. Every lost is for me only. They need to train their employees to give the accurate information to the customers.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

On Nov-03-18 I signed up for Monthly plan of $21.99 with a customer representative at LA Fitness location in Troy. The representative said, he can't apply the agreed upon offers now as it has to be done manually. Done using a coupon and took my credit card number and did not provide any papers stating that it would be sent via email. Next day I observed that they have charged 3 times more than what was agreed upon and I see that my initials were copied using editor and all figures are changed. I made repeated complaints at the desk and they seem to stating it will be done in next couple of days and I see that they have again charged for the next month (Dec-18) for $55 while my plan is $21.99. Customer Service is very bad as they are very unresponsive. Please be cautious to look into what is being charged on your card. Feels like a trap to me at this point. Good thing with LA is that their gym and other facilities like classes are good.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I sat down with their manager who promised me a book to fill out each time training was completed. He talked a great line of crap about his medical experience with all types of issues with diabetes, high blood pressure, and other types of sickness. He offered a written meal plan to myself and my wife. Nothing was written but I am sure he got his commission. He didn't live up to anything he stated upon sign up. I saw him in gym many times and he avoided my wife and me. All we wanted was what he promised us.

The guy was let go and I received a call from new store manager promising the world. Please come in so she can fix these issues. I explained I would not be coming back, felt I was taken advantage by LA Fitness and its signing up process. Very shady for a huge corporation. Do not sign agreements with this company!!! They continued to charge my credit card for the past 3 months for over $4000.00 dollars. Ruthless. I had to stop all charges with American Express. Be aware when you try to get your health in shape. Your pockets will definitely be out of shape.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

Very unscrupulous managers at this branch. In an effort to sell me 8 month training program, a manager and a trainer signed a note for me which essentially stipulated that I could cancel the contract anytime because it was for formality only from their perspective. I was wrong... When I asked LA to cancel my contract after 3 months with the note from manager on hand, they said the manager was transferred to another LA branch and they were not going to end the contract.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I started with LA fitness on my own account. I ended up canceling my membership and got the runaround when canceling. These idiots still automatically charged my account the following month when I already canceled my membership... I had to go to the bank and get a whole new account with my bank so I don't keep getting charged for a membership that I canceled the previous month.

I canceled my membership because of many reasons. Number one is that I would be there in the morning like 5 am and almost half the time the gym wouldn't be open because the staff is too lazy and unreliable to get up to open the gym. Second reason is because they had no hot water for a couple weeks and it was cold outside... I'm not going to take a cold shower when it's cold outside, I don't want to get sick. Finally they had someone mess with my account again, but this time my wife signed me up under her name and I went in one morning and they told me that my membership expired and wanted to renew my canceled membership... to make more money off me, so I had to have my wife go and take care of it when she got off work. It made everything a big hassle because of some greedy scam artist at LA fitness.

Absolute losers who take advantage of people. I hope a better gym opens up and I'm not talking about Planet Fitness because that place is a joke too. I lift heavy sometimes and I don't scream or grunt, but I guess my muscle size can be intimidating especially when I have a good pump going on. I hope that LA fitness either straightens up or closes down permanently. What a joke of a company.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I and my daughter started the personal training program from June 2018 at Torrance branch of LA Fitness. My daughter signed for 3 month and I signed for 6 months because Jose (Manager-now he is disappeared from this location) said we can cancel anytime even if we want to finish the program earlier. My daughter was visited from NY during summer vacation for 2 months only. We could not read properly when we signed it due to the lack of screen quality and did not have enough time. We did not receive any copy of the agreement from LA Fitness by e-mail. I spoke to LA Fitness several times about my daughter program cancellation but had to pay until this month.

Today LA Fitness saying we signed for 6 months for my daughter and 1 year for me. They keep charging from our credit card and cannot stop charging them. My daughter LA Fitness membership expired in 3 months and the account deactivated right after 3 months but still charging for the PT program money which is $280.00 per month. I sent a letter to them to stop charging. They call me today said, we have to pay until the agreement expires. Otherwise, I have to pay a penalty of over $800 to cancel the program.

I requested to send me an agreement with my signature but NOT replying about my request. We have no invoice, agreement or any kind of receipt about the payment but somehow they are charging from my credit card account. Almost total money of $5000.00 which is we cannot afford. I think anyone wants to join the PT program at LA Fitness, bring your own attorney when signed the agreement, otherwise never join the program. They will scam you somehow.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

The personal training sales manager currently at the Trumbull Connecticut location is initially encouraging and friendly. That is, until he signs you up for the personal training program. With a significant weight loss goal, I was excited to work with someone who was seemingly knowledgeable, professional, and truly invested in helping me reach my goals. However, shortly after my first session - when things did not go his way - I was treated with the silent treatment and in a despicable and unprofessional manner.

After leaving the gym in tears, I spoke with someone at the Corporate Service Office, who understood that it not acceptable to treat customers poorly and that the sales manager is NOT “in control” of scheduling and who you get to train with. Most importantly, she was able to connect me with another trainer who could help meet my training needs! For anyone who is dealing with a person in leadership with a big ego, find someone who is willing to listen and help you continue on your path to good health - TALK WITH CORPORATE and CALL OUT UNPROFESSIONAL AND INTIMIDATING, RUDE BEHAVIOR! On a more positive note: The facility is clean, well equipped, plenty of classes are offered, and the overall atmosphere is welcoming and friendly.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I have joined the gym since March, the sauna had been on and off broken since the sauna doesn't work properly, there are bugs, much like small black ants crawling on the bench. I have raised the issue to the front desk, this is over a month ago, not only they have not fixed the issue, there are still bugs in the sauna! I asked them to put an 'Out of service' outside the sauna, although they keeping saying they will fix the issue, it's taking way too long for all of us who pays for a gym membership.

They need to take action and fix issues or they should give us free pass for the month. Another issue there are lots of people who goes in the sauna with food, put on smelly lotions when you are in a confined space and it is hot, the smell is very unbearable and not sanitary at all, they should put a sign outside 'no food allow and no scented items allowed'. Woodbine and Hwy 7 location is a very bad location, if you want to join this gym, THINK TWICE!!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

This franchise is like Hotel California. You can come but you can never leave! I belonged to the gym located in Tacoma, Washington off of Pacific Hwy. First thing, no class whatsoever when it comes to the trainers and employees. They will walk around doing nothing but looking in the mirror, talking trash and swearing with each other.

The other thing is, try and cancel. Should be an easy process right? Nope! I was told "the only way to cancel is by coming in between M - F 9 - 5." You know, during most people's work hours! AND you can only cancel by talking with the Operations Manager who is supposed to be there during these hours, BUT GUESS WHAT, THEY AREN'T. Somehow, they always seem to be out, at lunch etc! SCAM! I went to another LA Fitness who told me that I could write a letter to corporate to cancel. Yep a freaking letter! NOT an email. Why? Because they can squeeze at least an extra month out of you in gym dues this way. This franchise is an overpriced, trainer reject SCAM!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Billed for personal training sessions for which the trainer called and canceled and yet I was billed. Despite repeated promises that the payment would be reversed, it never has been. To add insult to injury they cut a lock off my locker a few months earlier in error for which they (managers) also repeatedly promised to reimburse me for (receipt was supplied to them as per their request) which has turned into a complete joke as I remind them of this every week to no avail. Sick of looking at gum stuck to machines for months at a time too (also brought to the attention of the staff on countless occasions). I have been a member for three and half years but clearly they rather piss off a loyal customer and worry about giving freebies to attract new member than retaining the ones they have. I will be leaving asap.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I had a heart attack and the doctors have said that I can no longer do any strenuous exercise - only light walking. I have talked to LA Fitness about my trainer payments and how I cannot train for a while and would like to put them on hold until I get the go ahead from the doctor. They would not comply. My husband even spoke to several managers and they would not even give any consideration to the situation. I had every intention of returning to the gym once I was feeling better and had the go ahead. But at this point I am so disgusted with how they behaved with us that I am not going to be going back and I want people to know how the experience. My lesson is be careful what you sign up for, because they will keep taking $300 from my account regardless of the situation.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

Have had an LA Fitness multi club membership now for 7, almost 8 years. I purchased personal training for 1 year starting last year (pre pregnancy) from the club on Greenfield rd. and the 60 in Mesa, AZ. I have a lot of unused sessions left (38 total) and have paid for all of them in full over $2000. Well now I'm pregnant (18 weeks along) and have had horrible morning sickness until about 1 week ago and I don't feel like using personal training sessions during pregnancy and want to use them after my baby is born. Have gone through an enormous amount of phone calls to this gym, phone calls to member services, emails to member services, and apparently the VP of personal training denies my request to extend my personal training sessions that I have paid for. They wanted me to have a doctor's note stating I am "completely unable to workout" to extend my sessions.

I'm not on bedrest, but I am pregnant. They then said my only option was to pay an EXTRA $45 a month to "keep my personal training account active". Apparently to them, being pregnant and associated symptoms like morning sickness, dizziness, etc. is not a valid reason for wanting to change up your activity level and fitness routine a bit and NOT have workouts with a personal trainer until you are feeling back to your normal self after your baby is born. Member Services will also never return your calls. I have been having to call them myself to follow up with my request.

So now over $2000 of personal training sessions I have paid for are going to expire and I will have none left by the time my baby is born March of next year. Great for LA Fitness as they made all of that money off of me and have an unhappy customer and the only answer I get from member services is "well you signed the contract, so". Life changes and pregnancy changes a woman's body dramatically and the fact that a "health and fitness" club chooses not to acknowledge that and make an exception and keep a happy customer is so disappointing.

I will keep my membership for now because I only pay $30 per month for multi club membership and kids club and you are unable to cancel your membership over the phone easily. Will take my time shopping for a new gym which has better customer service policies and will be switching when I am ready to up my workouts again after my baby is born. So disappointed and disgusted in this gym's customer service policies and the way I was treated throughout this whole process. Glad at least I am able to write this review to feel like I am able to express my concerns somewhere, because LA Fitness seems like they could care less.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

It is absurd that I can't cancel membership over the phone. They require me to either come into the facility to cancel, or I need to download and print and mail a cancel form. (I haven't used a stamp in years). This does not surprise me... It is this level of customer care why I am canceling and going to another, more expensive gym.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

My daughter went off to college and so I went online to cancel her membership because she cannot use it anymore. The website does not allow me to cancel her account online. After calling a support number, I was told that I have to come in between the hours of 9 to 5 and talk with an associate to cancel my daughter's membership. In this day and age to not have this basic feature online is obviously done on purpose. Shame on you LA Fitness!!!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I signed up for the personal contract without noticed it was 12 months. And I told them I would love to try for a month to get me motivated as I am new to the gym too. The PT director told me I can cancel it anytime. The worst thing happened when I call to cancel for the second month. They said I have to buy out the cancelation which is $1300. When I signed the contract via electronic computer pad, nobody explain to me clearly the terms and conditions. All I heard that I can cancel my contract anytime. If they gave a clearly explanation just like when I called for cancel from the beginning, I would never signed up for any contract from them. Such a bad way to run a big business by making money from members and trapping people into a contract. Such a scam!

LA Fitness expert review by ConsumerAffairs

LA Fitness was founded in Southern California in 1984. Today it has over 300 locations across the United States and Canada. LA Fitness offers fitness equipment, group classes and personal training.

• Group fitness: LA Fitness offers a wide variety of fitness classes at its locations, including Boot Camp, Belly Dancing, Cardio Jam, Cycle, Hip Hop, Latin Heat and more. Use the fitness class locator tool on LA Fitness’s website to locate a class near you, learn what to expect and find out what to bring.

• Personal training: Certified trainers offer free one-hour fitness assessments for new members and additional training for a fee. A trainer can help you determine your pace, set goals and track your progress over time.

• Pools: Many LA Fitness locations feature heated indoor swimming pools, which provide a great low-impact fitness option. You can take swim lessons, swim laps or do group fitness classes in the pool.

• Kids Klub: Some LA Fitness locations feature a Kids Klub childcare service. Additional fees may apply.

• League events: LA Fitness offers league and team events throughout the year at most of its locations. These include basketball leagues, racquetball tournaments and many other competitive activities for those who like team fitness.

• Best for: fitness novices, athletes and fitness buffs.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs