LA fitness

Compare Gyms and Fitness Centers

Research top Gyms and Fitness Centers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Recently, I brought a friend to go swimming when Will informed me in a very authoritarian, paternalistic voice that I could not bring her in without her providing him with a passport. I also said I had been told I would be paying only $5 for her visit. Will then informed me that wasn't the case - that the charge was $15. I was willing to pay this but we didn't bring in any ID except for my membership card. You would think that I could have been told in a nice voice that this time he would make an exception and let us in but going forward my friend, visiting from Switzerland, would have to bring her ID in. Oh... No flexibility there. Additionally, in the past I have asked for help with how a particular machine was operated correctly and told that I would have to do a special program at $99. Just to see how to properly use the equipment? If you can... go somewhere else! Who needs that to relax...

Do NOT sign any type of agreements with LA fitness. I signed up for personal training and made it very clear that I only wanted a 6mo agreement. The document I signed had the exact number of sessions and a Total Cost so I thought I was fine. Nope. I noticed I had a charge on my card for two additional months and when I called LA fitness they said the agreement I signed has to be verbally cancelled or they continue to charge you. I was NEVER told this when I signed the agreement and their response is "tough." So I'm out almost $500 for nothing. I immediately cancelled my membership to the club and even that was not easy.

I have been a Bally/LA Fitness customer for over 30 years and I cannot recall when I have been so disappointed in overall maintenance of a gym facility. I can see from the number of complaints online that neither Louis Welch or William Horner take pride in ensuring their facilities provide a clean and healthy workout environment for their guests. I verbally complained to staff person behind the desk about my concerns which are not new but ongoing and his answer was it is an "older" facility which I find a totally unacceptable. This week there are 10 machines scheduled for maintenance. On an average week there are always 2 - 4 down for repair. The carpet in the workout room is filthy and I would think unhealthy for any member to lay down and touch the floor. Word was when LA Fitness took over from Ballys' they were going to make a number of improvements, replacing carpet for one, but that still has not happened.

They have painted and replaced a portion of the carpeted wall borders around gym but other half is still the old peach, dirty border. Two of the TV sets are not working and a third is a green flickering screen. One TV that had black lines in the picture since LA Fitness took over location was just finally replaced. I guess it may take another three years to get other TV's working again! I wonder if the Health Department would approve the dirty floor and the unsanitary condition of bathrooms. The air conditioning continues to be an ongoing problem. I am truly surprised none of the LA Fitness staff at Encino facility have complained about their working conditions. It seems they are not permitted to have a/c on in office so the workout area is cooled. Well, it is a nice thought but does little to help the airflow in gym.

I think you are lucky no one has called OSHA about the poor working conditions they must endure. Every day I hear other guests complaining about the overall condition of gym but not sure anyone has taken the time to air their grievances. My hope is that you will stop treating this location like the ugly stepsister it is and bring the facility into the 21st century or at least a facility you could be proud of having the LA Fitness name. I will keep my fingers crossed we see improvement in overall aesthetics to improve your customers workout experience.

LA Fitness makes it ridiculously easy to create and account/sign-up for membership online. However, when you want to close your account, they make so incredibly difficult (it's blatant harassment). My cc was used in fraud so cc company issued new card, and I seized the opportunity - instead of providing LA Fitness with a new cc number - to inform them I was closing my account. They took no action, rather in the span of a 2-3 days over Memorial weekend - proceeded to leave at least 6+ voicemails on my phone about how they've been unable to charge my monthly fee, and I need to call them and update payment records quickly to avoid a late fee. Upon return from holiday, I returned at least one of those call and reiterated my interest in closing my account, and advised I would sent them a check for the last month (although I believe they collect that up front when you sign-up).

I literally spoke to 3-5 different people who continued to call me from LA Fitness, and advise me I had to go into the gym to request cancellation, or mail my cancellation request. Why? Didn't have to do that when I signed up! A month or so later, after repeated calls, I acquiesced and walked into the local LA Fitness gym to request my account be cancelled. I was informed the person I needed to meet with was unavailable (not even in the gym). I asked to complete the process with another manager, and was advised there was no one else who had the ability to close my account. I left a message at the front desk with my name and phone number, requesting Keiara call me back, but she didn't call me back. Two days later I call LA Fitness again, requesting to speak to seemingly the only person who has the magic power to close account, and once again she was not there.

I left a message again, and finally received a callback, although she was confrontational and argumentative in her efforts to not only explain away her absence, but also the general business practices of LA Fitness to drag out the membership closure process so they can collect more money. The only reason I joined with LA Fitness is because I knew they lost a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT for exactly this type of unethical business practice, so I thought they'd cleaned up their act. They haven't, rather it seems they've found legal ways I guess to incorporate language in membership documentation that allows them to continue unethical business practices of harassing members about payment, and making one jump through ridiculous hoops to simply close an account.

This company shows ZERO appreciation/respect for clients, especially when you seek to terminate your gym membership. Don't waste your money! LA fitness will make you pay in advance even if you will not use the gym in the future! This company makes it outrageously hard to cancel, giving you only two options: mail a certified letter or go in person to one of their locations and have an operations manager cancel your membership, if you are lucky enough to find one at the location when you go. Suffice it to say, you can save yourself hundreds of dollars and your precious time by steering away from this consumer-abusive company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LA Fitness?

I have been use this LA fitness facility at 3200 Grapevine Mills Pkwy, Grapevine, TX 76051. I normally swimming after work in that gym. One day, I saw this woman who wear a tennis shoes and walking in the pool. I told her that she shouldn't wear that shoes and walking in the pool. She told me that she bought that shoes just for pool using. I went to front desk and complained to the gym staff who was working in that facility. She told me that is pool shoes, she can use it in the swimming pool.

I felt that they really don't care about how important sanitizing is in a public facility. There are kids class in that swimming pool, same time, some adult woman wear a tennis shoes walking in the pool. I told her that some people could get sick by using a polluted water. She looked at me and told me that is pool shoes. I left there and never want to go back again.

I was already a member of LA Fitness Club and moved to a different location. Hence visited the club near my new apartment to inquire about changing my membership. I was required to pay $15 more for this club than what I was paying at the old club, so I've decided to continue to go the old club although it is only 3 miles away from my new home. Then the new club manager called me on my cell and after a prolonged conversation, I've agreed to buy the annual membership with an exception of membership for me and my wife for $504 at two different clubs since my wife is about to move to a different state. He has processed my membership immediately over the phone and we were asked to take picture and collect the contract the next day.

When we went to the club the next day which is a Saturday, the one who has processed my membership wasn't there and we were asked to come back the following Monday. Unfortunately, I couldn't go on Monday and was delayed by a couple of days. Finally, when I went to collect the contract and take picture, the club personnel asked to come with my wife, so they can take a picture together, which means both of us has to go the club together at the same time and to the same club. The manager named Cass who processed my membership isn't there to talk about and the staff won't reveal where their manager is. Finally, I was told that, Cass was transferred to a different location and I couldn't reach him.

So, I do not have an option to cancel my membership, since they've already charged me for the whole year. Further, embarrassment followed me after a month or so. My credit card was charged for the monthly membership fee by the old club. When I've called the old club, they said I've had 2 memberships with LA Fitness at 2 different locations. Who on earth will have dual memberships to a gym? And I've had to tell them to cancel my membership on the old club since I've moved and have another membership at a different location. Also, they won't refund me the money since they consider this a one month notice. I was really pissed off with this incident and do not know whom to complain or what to do next dealing with these liars and irresponsible money machines. It took me many days to find this platform and write a review about so, I can warn others to not to fall into this trap by these so called LA Fitness gym.

I've been a member of LA Fitness for a year and a half since discontinuing my membership from another popular gym. Out of the many times I've come to this gym I've never ever had an experience like today's. I brought a guest for the first time and will never attempt to bring anyone here again! I was told that in order for her to work out she had to pay $15 for the day because my account doesn't have guest membership privileges and that was ok, I was gonna do it. The turnoff was how RUDE I was given this information by the young man at the front desk (who clearly should not have been there). He had very poor customer service skills! He acted like he was angry at something because he couldn't look me in the eye as he spoke.

If I hadn't had such an excellent monthly price to go to this gym I'd discontinue my membership and go someplace else! The person who owns this gym should be ashamed of the poor customer service here. My guest was considering joining but this experience was an deal breaker because she's not! Anyone considering this facility should think again!

My husband and son have been members of LA Fitness for many years. I joined on March 22, 2017. We asked them when I joined if the monthly fee of $32.46 would go up. They said no that all I had to do was pay an initial fee of $91.99. We asked again to check before we joined and they reassured us that the fee would stay the same. I was looking over our bank statement and noticed that LA Fitness was taking our $32.46 twice in the month. We called and were informed that that fee was for me. This is such poor representation and service. They mislead us and have had 4 months worth of charges taken out without our consent. My husband canceled my membership and my son's just now. I feel so taken by them and will make sure I let others know of their poor service and misrepresentation. My husband is still a member but we are looking into other options.

I had a really inconvenient experience in LA Fitness in Coconut Creek, FL. There is a guy working there, Ahmad **, he is a sales manager and I had two really inconvenient experiences with this guy. I decided to make some investment in my health, and I was looking for a gym, so when I was doing my registration in the LA Fitness unit mentioned, I was not so sure if my wife would participate with me in the gym. Trying to convince me, he said that I could assign my wife, paying a $150 registration fee for a family subscription, and if she decided not to come, that he would give me one week to change from family to personal subscription, giving me a refund of the balance.

In the same moment, I asked about my son participating with the family as well, that he was 8 years old, and he said that my son could use everything they have in their facilities, including pools, etc. and I could bring him as guest anytime, if I decide for a personal registration. So, I did the family registration. What happens, is that my wife decided not to participate, it was the next Friday, still during the week period he gave me. When I came to the front desk to cancel her subscription, he said that it was past 3 days already and that he could not refund me anymore. I tried to remember him about the deal he offers me, but no success.

Ok, I tried to forget that, and kept coming to the gym, I brought my son once after that as guest, but for my surprise, today, June 28, I brought my son to the gym as guest and this Ahmad came to me in a really rude way, saying that I should take my son out of the gym, because he was not allowed to be there. I tried again to remember him about what we dealt but no success again. He was so indelicate that I cancel my subscription as well. So, it is so sad that LA Fitness let people so unqualified represent their name... that they are just interested to take people's money, than to maintain a good reputation... sad.

I signed up for a 6 month personal training package and was not satisfied after one session. I did not receive a physical copy of the contract that says I only have a 3 day window to cancel. I cancelled within 7 days and they are trying to hold me to 6 months of services that were not rendered due to dissatisfaction. I sent them by certified mail my membership cancellation and my personal training package cancellation. They continued to charge my account during the dispute process so I cancelled my credit card. They are notorious for recurring charges even after cancelling. This is by far the worst experience I have ever had with a gym!! BUYER BEWARE!!

I called customer care as well as stop by at location. They were not willing to cancel my membership. They were just postponing my dates to charge me additional month. One of the answer I got that Manager suppose to have 3 hrs lunch. That was rude. I also used Planet Fitness before and they have very straightforward cancellation policy. That is I really like it.

I canceled my membership with LA Fitness, they took 151.62 out of my checking account without my permission. It was within the legal guidelines. They told me that I did not have to pay any dues until July and that would 25.00. Well today they took 151.62. Upon calling them, they told me it was not within the date of cancellation. So you tell me — If they tell you that you do not have to pay until July, but they still take out of the due plus more, what would you do? Never again!!! Being unemployed that money means the world to me now. The guy on the phone that I was talking was laughing!! Can you believe that? Told my bank to dispute it. If the membership is canceled they should not be allowed to take any money out of your checking without your permission. Don't care who you are, they should not be allowed!!! RIPOFF!!! Never again!!!

I purchased the LA Fitness's personal trainer sessions for 6 month. When I join, I said specifically that I only want to buy 28 sessions for 6 months. But when I sign the contract, they have auto renewal in the agreement, I didn't read it carefully which is really my bad. But in Month 4, I hurt my back and try to cancel the program. The employee there tell me I can't cancel. I can either buy out the last two months or I can stay and use my sessions after recovery because sessions never expire. And I can also let other people use my sessions. I figured why not and decided to stay, which is a terrible terrible mistake. In Month 7, I was charged again for the sessions and I go to the gym for refund. And they tell me there is auto renewal in my agreement, and all my sessions will expire within 30 days if I cancel. And the sessions are not transferable, I can't let other people use my sessions.

I told him that's not what I was informed last time but he said he doesn't care what I heard and they are not responsible for what their employees said. Then I ask for corporate number to check if there can be an exception, the operation manager wrote a number on the paper and said it's his number and he is corporate. Later I got pretty upset and started to shed tears, and the manager said, "Oh it's probably because you were crying so they just tell you what you want to hear to get you out of the door." In the end, he suggests me to stay in the program for my sessions to stay active... I don't want to make this personal but I just don't understand how they can be so uncaring when it comes to business. I would never ever fall for that again. The whole system is just very rigid and tricky, they try everything to make you stay and they make sure you will pay when you leave.

Many problems with Bonita Springs Gym. I only joined the gym for the classes, which I have to say I love the Zumba and Body works plus abs instructors and classes. There was another class added Cardio Jam that many of us enjoyed but it was removed. The problems are: Air Conditioning always broken, Roof leaks and leaks during class and stains on ceiling, classes cancel or many subs. My husband stated "men shave in the sauna" and he has recently obtains Athletes Feet and other fungus problems from gym. Please clean up this gym and fix these issues!

Back in January 2017, I called in to the West Saint Paul LA Fitness to have my account put on hold. The guy said that they call it "Freezing". They freeze the account for $10 a month until I am ready to start up the membership again and that is so I don't get charged the full membership fee again. When it was all said and done, he said not to worry about a thing. I'm a busy guy and I have all my credit cards paid electronically so I don't have to worry about having any late fees. It's now 6 months later and I called to have my membership un-frozen. I spoke with the Taylor (manager) who informed me that my account was never frozen. He said that It was my fault for not requesting an email receipt and that it's too bad, so sad. Taylor's attitude is not very pleasant and makes it difficult to want to continue this membership at this club.

LA Fitness is private, comfortable and adorable. I can go by myself and it is close to where I live. If I want to join a group, it’s there if I want it. Also, I like the price and payment options. It’s not expensive and I like their privacy policies and their polite staff. It’s quiet but I wish they had a refreshment bar and their hours were better for me.

I had a choice of three different gyms. I had an LA fitness, ATC Fitness and a 24 Hour but I've never heard any complaints about LA fitness so that is the one I went with and I can honestly say I'm completely satisfied with this gym. What I like most is the variety of the equipment. You will be able to exercise any muscle in your body without having to really find alternate workouts for different types of body parts. It is very convenient. However, I didn't like the planning it took to find the time to go because it is an honest scheduled event because it's hard to find an hour in most of my days because I'm so busy.

The gym is my favorite one and I go there about 4 times a week. I love how they treat the people who come into their gym. They have great employees helping out the gym members any way they can and they have trainers. They also have a lot and the biggest selection of workout equipment and are always putting in new equipment. Everything about the gym is awesome and it meets my expectations.

LA Fitness has great service and helpful staff. I enjoy their gym because it has many different machines and classes for me to take. I also like using their weights and equipment. Most of my friends also have memberships and we all workout together. Additionally, I prefer this gym because it's open twenty four hours a day so I can pick what times I could workout and they also allow me to plan my workout accordingly. This give me more freedom than other gyms. However, I dislike that some of their gyms don't have enough parking for me. At time their gym could be a little busy so I have to wait for my turn on different machines. I don't like how I have to rent a locker either. I think that they should include lockers with their membership.

I enjoy the fact that there are places where you can go and exercise, enjoy the usage of equipment, meet lots of neat people and all the while be doing a great thing for your life and your body. Lots of exercise equipment meaning you do not have to stand in long lines to wait on the usage of the machines. I also enjoyed the variety of the different types of equipment to work on certain areas of the body. I felt great that it was enough to do at the gym and it held my interest.

LA Fitness offers classes as well and the instructors are very encouraging and professional enough to assist me, answer questions, as well as help me in discussions about problem body areas. The instructors are knowledgeable and the staff is great. The people working there enjoys what they do and it shows in their attentiveness and courteousness. I enjoyed the fact that I was allowed the opportunity to work at a beginner's pace until I was comfortable to increase my pace. However, it would be nice if they can extend times to open earlier and close later, add Yoga classes so members can practice meditation and have a walk-a-thon to support a charity in the sponsorship of the center. Other than these, the gym has met my expectations. I received a membership in the past as a gift and I enjoyed it.

I chose LA fitness because I got a free month membership a while ago. I went to their gyms to test it out and I really liked working out there so from there on I continued to use LA Fitness. I really like most of the features that LA fitness provides to us members. Some of my favorite features is that you get a personal trainer that helps you achieve your fitness goals. You can give a VIP guest pass to a friend and or family member. They also have racquetball courts so that you can play with your friends and have fun. I have a great time working out at their fitness gyms but more can be added in their features for members that will make it more fun and motivating to work out there.

I liked the cleanliness of the gym and the attentiveness of the training staff. Spacious workout area allowing for less chance of accidents. Even though it is spacious nothing is taken away from the availability of the trainer being available when you need help. But I would offer better discounts, better incentives for newcomers to be motivated to continue their workouts. Also to upgrade the referral plan for existing members. Give incentive to regulars to promote through word of mouth what has gotten them eye catching. But overall this gym had more personality. You get a feeling or sense of being a part of something greater the moment you step in the door. This feeling breaks down the walls of embarrassment and self-doubt, grasp onto the tools given to them, and rip out a new body only meant for the determined and privileged.

It is my 'mommy time' so I love just about everything at LA fitness!! From the track to the machines, tanning, cardio and classes, it has everything I look for in a gym and not just free weights. It's a lot of fun! I appreciate that it's expensive so they don't allow just anyone in there and happily, I don't have to worry about the clientele and I feel safe walking to my truck. But it could be a little cleaner, spotless and germ free in my opinion! There could be antibacterial wipes at each station. I skeeve other people's sweat on a machine that I'm about to get on so I bring my own wipes.

LA Fitness is a nationwide chain. They have good reputations and better online reviews. I had previous good experience and a friend also recommended it to me and we go together to keep each other company and keep each other from missing classes. It has a variety of exercise programs to choose from and they have trainers that are knowledgeable. It's inexpensive and conveniently located. However, I would like to see Barre or Zumba classes available as well because those activities are fun and on trend. I would also like to have an option of a professional trainer creating an exercise schedule from fitness classes available, like yoga, pilates and such to accommodate my needs.

When I was looking for a good gym to join, I narrowed my search to class availability and monthly rate and LA fitness was the best deal out of all of them. I've been in the best shape of my life and I thank them for giving me the opportunity. The gym has all of the modern day amenities that I need to get in great shape. They also have very personable trainers that help out whenever you need and the people that go there are very friendly. The experience is great and comforting as is but I wish they would find a way to reduce the lines on certain equipment in peak hours.

My family agreed on a family plan at LA Fitness. It has a lot of different locations and it's fairly large and has decent hours. It was much cheaper and it was more convenient at the time. The class instructors are well trained and they usually give a great workout session. And then the gym classes usually aren't too crowded and the facility is clean. I can also get a great workout in the pool. However, the gym isn't near my current workplace that is why I chose another gym. It was also too crowded and I don't like to wait on cardiovascular machines in a gym. I like to get in, get a workout and leave.

I chose this gym because it's close to home and I can walk or jog there. All of my friends goes there. We workout together and play basketball with each other. The basketball court, the pool and the people there is very nice. My workout partner is cool too. I always work hard at the gym no matter what. However, you have to pay every month and the 3 day pass is not enough days for me to experience the gym that's why I don't really like the membership. I wish for better.

Initially I liked this gym and had high hopes that I would enjoy it. The gym is fairly large in size and their hours are good. There is a lot of equipment to use in the facility and there is always a machine available. The gym is always bright and clean. But the vibe of this gym is not what I expected and I was not pleased. The gym seems to mostly men and they can be creepy. I am not comfortable in this type of environment. It's not a very female friendly gym. LA fitness did not meet my expectations from when I joined. I cancel my membership after the initial contract period was over.

I like how there are enough machines that there aren't really any waits to use the machines you want. There is a polite and great staff there and you can get help with whatever you need. It's an overall friendly environment to everyone. One thing I think every gym should include is complimentary protein powder, or have built in music to machines that you can plug in headphones to.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

LA Fitness was founded in Southern California in 1984. Today it has over 300 locations across the United States and Canada. LA Fitness offers fitness equipment, group classes and personal training.

• Group fitness: LA Fitness offers a wide variety of fitness classes at its locations, including Boot Camp, Belly Dancing, Cardio Jam, Cycle, Hip Hop, Latin Heat and more. Use the fitness class locator tool on LA Fitness’s website to locate a class near you, learn what to expect and find out what to bring.
  • Personal training: Certified trainers offer free one-hour fitness assessments for new members and additional training for a fee. A trainer can help you determine your pace, set goals and track your progress over time.
  • Pools: Many LA Fitness locations feature heated indoor swimming pools, which provide a great low-impact fitness option. You can take swim lessons, swim laps or do group fitness classes in the pool.
  • Kids Klub: Some LA Fitness locations feature a Kids Klub childcare service. Additional fees may apply.
  • League events: LA Fitness offers league and team events throughout the year at most of its locations. These include basketball leagues, racquetball tournaments and many other competitive activities for those who like team fitness.
  • Best for fitness novices, athletes and fitness buffs.

Compare Gyms and Fitness Centers