LA fitness

Compare Health Clubs

Research top Health Clubs recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

The Greece club is by far the worst club I have ever been in. Dirty towels on the floor, hair in the lockers and just dirty. But yet you come in and 2 or 3 employees just hanging out at the front desk talking and having a good old time. Not to mention that 4 machines are broke and no plan to fix until March. Pathetic management other clubs are not like Greece. I know 10 people who have or are canceling their memberships.

The monthly membership doesn't appear to be a problem but they will coerce you into signing up for a personal trainer. And with all contracts, watch out for the fine print. You ARE NOT allowed to cancel at any time so when you get sucked up in the $200 monthly fee in addition to your $29.95 monthly fee, know that you will be paying for no less than 12 months before you can cancel.

For more than a month it seems I'm being called by other LA Fitness locations to renew. Every time I've asked them to remove me from the call list. Isn't this kind of practice illegal esp on my cell #?

They apparently don't process cancellations, and then blame the consumers for it. My wife canceled her membership at a branch. They deactivated her account, and immediately started spamming her email with offers to return. But they never stopped charging her credit card. Three extra months they charged, at $66 a month. I had to file a dispute with my bank. Then I canceled my account at a branch location. The person said it was done, and I had no more payments. But I called the next month, and what do you know... they never canceled my membership. The manager at the branch even said there was no way to refund my money because he said that I "didn't cancel properly." ME! I DIDN'T CANCEL PROPERLY! What the actual **?! I had to put a good on my credit card. Apparently this scam is part of their business model. We need a class action against LA Fitness and they need to go out of business. ** scumbags. They make me sick.

Where to begin. It all started when I wanted to go gym out and work my physique back to my former glory days. All in the pretty mild days of October and November when the incident took place. I signed up blindly to a membership and PT contract. This is where the nightmare begins. I figured out that I did not need all these added fees on my membership nor my Personal Training due to my circumstances and proceeded to come in 3 days AFTER I signed those contracts. It is IN THEIR POLICY to allow you a full refund for everything if you come in to cancel within those 3 days and submit the paperwork. I came in with my family members to discuss this and thought I cancelled both membership and Personal Training while getting a cheaper membership deal (without those ridiculous fees that I won't be utilizing their benefits).

Then a month happened. It is now November. I was expecting a refund for the mistaken charges against my bank account but I was charged additionally another $195 and $43 for contracts I had CANCELLED ALREADY. It hit me and my family really hard that it occurred to us that they did NOT submit the paperwork and allowed it so that we do not get a full refund on the contracts I cancelled for in the first place. I had charges mounting up to $700+ within the first TWO MONTHS. Being a broke college student, this did NOT make my day.

I had to come in AGAIN in November and boy, the PTD (Personal Training Director) was absolutely RUDE and DISRESPECTFUL towards my older siblings who are well off with their family and kids. They were APPALLED by the behavior that this guy demonstrated towards us. Not to mention the guy handling my membership? He was never there since that time I wanted to straighten out my contract for membership. Can you believe it? These two are in cohorts to make off with your money. And I imagine reading the other reviews on this site, they are all true and happening in all parts of our beloved America. Employees like that should be burned to the stake. But anyways... Back to Reality.

We called corporate later that November night to find out that the PTD LIED to corporate about wanting to cancel my Personal Training contract and the same *probably* happened with my membership too, but I was more focused on the Personal Training at the time. The person at corporate told us to dispute all the charges made against me with my bank - and I did so promptly after we hung up with corporate.

Corporate called back to follow up with the complaint I had the night before - and guess who was on the phone... the PTD... it was a conversation call made to my cell phone... (ugh I hate this) the PTD named Frank - he was absolutely rude like I said earlier - making gestures like "Let me speak to X privately" and a lot of other bullcrap like "I believe how old is X again?" --- I say that gives you no right to allow me to have someone speak on my behalf if I do not know what is going on and should be standard practice when discussing things like this anyways. I confirmed I wanted to cancel completely a full refund on this (at least I was guaranteed this) and I saw receipt emails. This is probably what I should have gotten when I wanted to cancel back in October. My fault but at least I managed to sneak it in the system that I wanted to cancel back then.

From what entailed onwards, I patiently waited into December while hearing the various reports from my brother and sister in law that the PTD was really avoiding them and giving them the "look" he gave me back then. The membership person who I signed up with (and want to punch in the face -- strangely looks like my old calc teacher in High School) "left" the gym. I started to work out exclusively at home. I made a promise that if I had to pay off anything else from LA Fitness I will never return to any gym for another contract until X months passed (as if I was still continuing at the gym).

December - I received confirmed about 2 of the 4 charges made against my account. They agreed to refund EVERYTHING on Personal Training. The bank is still working on membership dues charges made against me (although I am starting to doubt whether these other 2 charges will be credited back to my account). I barely used the gym since then, even in those 2 months I had a membership with them then, I did not feel comfortable knowing my contracts were on the line (after reading various reviews like yours on this site and others).

Present day - I have a part time job now (only working as needed by my supervisor) so I guess it's fine now. I really want my other 2 charges credited back to me and I would be so happy if it happened. I just graduated from college not too recently and I have to work towards paying off my student loans. But the clincher is that I have barely any money to go off since this incident. It's driving a huge hole in my bank account along with other necessary purchases like food, clothing, cleaning supplies, helping out family, etc. Even if I have to end up paying the remainder of $291.16, it would leave me nothing as I have to pay off my class (I took a job training class in order to get where I am now), loans, and other things. I soon have to take another prep class so I can try to get into grad school so my money is at an all time low. Still debating the 2 charges - hoping it goes well and my bank can take back the charges against my credit card.

END OF OBJECTIVE REVIEW. Rant time. These ** employees, Frank and James can get some karma handed to their asses for trying to deceive a honest customer like me. If James (the membership handler at that time) gets his share of the money from me - which I highly doubt is much, can be lost in some accident (blown in the wind, dropped wallet, etc). If he gets a lion share of the money, then ** him. I want to see him lose it on something he'll regret on. Frank, I have his information card when he was "nice" to me, but I looked him up and he was using probably a FAKE phone number.

None of these LA Fitness Employees who are THIS competent to even work at gyms should go reflect on themselves before karma hits them for a turn for the worse. LA Fitness is where the Devil and his disciples work their black magic on unsuspecting fellows like us. And to the founder of LA Fitness, I hope your rich lifestyle is worth the thousands of people's money you robbed forcibly by telling your employees to be the duplicitous jackasses they are reputed to be. You can go die in a hole. Do me a favor LA Fitness. Give me back my money you robbed me or face some damaging consequences for the rest of your pathetic existence your gym runs. I will continue to submit these types of reviews on other sites/social media so try me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LA Fitness?

I joined the gym in October 2016 & used the gym for the 4:30 body works class only. In December the 4:30 class was permanently eliminated and I was unable to get my membership join fee back. I advised Lauren (a membership management personnel) I was willing to get a prorated amount back but was denied from management. BEWARE before joining that this happened to me. I am now out my initial money.

I don't know where to start. The gym went from a 10 when it was opened to a zero. I would say about 30% of the Cardio machines are broken all the time, and the rest have zero maintenance and falling apart if not a out of order sign on it. Water from ceiling leaks a few places, the rugs are all stained with sweat, the crowd has turned to very loud, yelling stuff out as they do the free weights. The locker room should be shut down until cleaned up or replaced. Section one of the showers out of 4 showers, one works, and works horrible. It should be condemned!!!

If the board of health ever seen this place, I guess they not doing their job. Usually no cold water, all the showers have mold on them, broken tiles, dripping water, hair in the drains, band aids, clothing, paper towels on floor, no shower heads, the sauna is dirty and the wood is broken, locker room is falling apart, front door always has a broken sign on it for months and months. That's just for starters. A friend told me they were going to remodel 6 months ago, still nothing...

I wanted to sign up my son for 5 days beyond the visiting period he gets from my signing him on my guest list when I first joined. First, we were given a price of $75 for him and his wife for 2 weeks. But we were told that it could be less in a few days (after the New Year). Indeed, it was more for him alone in a few days. And they try to sell you a trainer right off, as well. I'll join another gym next year.

This is my experience with LA Fitness on Personal training program. PLEASE DON'T SIGN ANY CONTRACT WITH LA FITNESS. I went to LA Fitness center and gone through the gym premises. Front desk person was suggesting different program. It was fascinating, because I have set the goal to work on my fitness. In the end, he was giving me idea and about personal training and benefit. I don't remember if he mentioned about 12 months contract and breaking conditions. You will think about LA brand name. So In your back of mind you will never think, what is going to come as personal training, when you start this training program.

I have started this program and initial session was good with trainer. After few session you will come know, training is not helping or getting any benefits. At this time I don't know about contract and breaking conditions. Finally I have decided to cancel this program and continue with gym. It's really costly more and am not getting that much benefits. I went to center and discussion this with front desk person. Initial he told me wait. I have waited there for 1 hr and after that he come and discussion. He was saying he can't do anything. I need to call their corporate office.

Next day I have call to their corporate office. The lady pick the phone. I have explained her my problem and wanted to cancel my personal training program. She suggested following things me: I need to change trainer, check with different center, I need to pay 50% of remaining period. I don't understand. Why do I need to change center? Because I have sign the contract so. Anyway, I thought let's give another changes. I ask her, "can you suggest me good trainer so that I will get good training and change my mind." She told me, will arrange my next session. I have waited for 5 days and no one call me. I was disappointed with things. Finally I have decided to cancel and pay my breakage amount and get out from here. After 5 day I have called them to cancel my personal training program. I told them, why I am cancelling this and not happy with program and management. I will go online and give my true feedback.

There are ok this negative feedback. He told me I can write my experience. I don't understand about LA brand name and there are list bother about image. Person from corporate office told me, he was sorry about this things happened to me and he will talk to center and try to improve the program. But he is not ready to way-off my contract. If some problem with them, then also client to pay. This is very bad management. I don't understand about LA management. The only way to cancel this contract is showing medically unfit certificate. I/we don't want to do this. Right? PLEASE DON'T SIGN ANY CONTRACT WITH LA FITNESS. If you really are interest, please try for one month. I am 100% sure you will not extended after that.

LA Fitness has the classic case of big box gym customer service being a bunch of **. I've been a member since 2013, but they are suddenly closing the two gyms near me (for no stated reason). I have 2 months left on a training package that they insist I use or buy back; they will not cancel or refund anything. In addition, the attitude of their employees in person and on the phone is incredibly rude. Corporate customer service refuses to let me speak to anyone in a higher position and lied and said that they can't refund my package for "legal reasons." I will be out of this gym as soon as humanly possible and will never return.

Even if you get it in print a price and special offer it will change or be revoked in nearly every instance. If you choose a certain club that club will not be included. If you want courts that is extra. If you want more than one club it is extra. If you want anything it is going to be extra. The gym is great. I love it but dealing with corporate stuff is a living hell. May take weeks if not months. All the while you are paying top dollar and lose first and last payments plus money down.

I didn't think anything like this could happen in the United States. I trusted that honesty would be enforced with employees & management, but it turns out even corporate makes excuses for the dishonesty at every level. Sick to my stomach that this company exists, especially the more I read reports of people being taken advantage of when they are sick or undergoing some other hardship. Don't sign up with them, not even just a basic gym membership. You think it won't happen to you, but they find a way to take advantage of everyone. This is NOT your normal company where a corporate complaint means something. Your experience means nothing to them... because they get paid regardless.:)

I tried to cancel my personal training before. I got a text from a representative at the gym telling me he "doesn't know what my issues are". I don't feel it's fair to charge people $600 a month for 6 hours of work. I'm stupid for signing this, but when you have people staring at you... on top of that they lie to you... They told me they would give me 2 months free sessions... which I didn't get. The manager told me 2 free sessions with him... which I didn't get. He said he would help me with a meal plan... which he didn't do. Now I'm stuck with a trainer who goes to the bathroom doing our sessions and doesn't write everything in my training book. Not even 6 hours since sessions are 25 minutes. I feel so disrespected. I work very hard at my job and I do a good job... and I just feel this is not giving me as much as I give. I am downright insulted by this company. $35/month for gym is fair... but their personal training is not worth it. I am now trying to cancel again.

LA Fitness is quick to enroll you and extremely difficult to get out of the contract. They keep charging you and pretend that you never been asking for a cancellation, keep bouncing you from one person to another and hide behind working schedule of one person or another. The gym itself is sub par, presenting filthy stinky facilities and chlorine-filled pools. Pretty depressing. No idea how they stay in business.

I opened family membership for me and my son with 200 down and 49 per mo in August 2016. My son used 4 times as 3 weeks later he got a job in Clanton Al and moved. I called up and told Manager to cancel his membership as there were no clubs in his area. She said I had to come down but I told her just had hip operation and offered to send her verification. She said I had to come in and I hung up. I have never been inside until today, 4 months later as my hip is healed. Brian the Manager confirmed they continued to take my son's membership fees out of my account for the last 90 days. I offered to just credit to my account and he refused. Called Corporate and they said they could only credit 1 month. What a joke. I said "now cancel my membership as well."

An evil corporation designed on the sole purpose of not servicing any of its customers and leading them through an endless loop of lies and deception just to take your money. Once you are a member they will never let you go. It is really ridiculous that it is almost impossible to cancel your subscription because they won't allow it by phone. They won't allow it in person. It takes ages for them to process mail applications to cancel and they keep delaying and charging month by month. Just completely ridiculous. I told my bank to stop processing any payments and that was the only way I was able to stop my membership. They charge random fees every now and then for no reason whatsoever. The staff has no idea of what’s going on and can charge you additional fees if they feel like it.

It took them 4 months to fix the showers that were out of service and they did a half ass job leaving the showers even more disgusting than before. Absolutely rude and obnoxious staff that think they are right and you're stupid. The equipment is extremely old and outdated with many of them always out of service never to be fixed. Hours of operation are stupidly short and the fees are stupid high. The pools are always dirty and FULL of chlorine. Last time I checked it is supposed to be a water pool not CHLORINE pool. The worst corporation I've ever dealt with.

I supposedly signed on as a month to month customer with no contract. I tried to cancel my membership. There were two options, complete a form or go into a branch. Firstly there was no form online so I go into a branch. Well they only do that Monday through Friday YET they do new memberships on the weekend. After getting the runaround multiple times I cancel my payments. Then the harassment began... 20 calls daily, including Saturday and Sundays. No way to cancel and constant harassing calls. The place on Route 3 in Clifton is filthy and has a high level of thefts. STAY AWAY!!! New York Sports Club is way classier proving that you get what you pay for.

I contacted my local location in October to cancel my membership only to discover in November that was not done. I was charged for an additional month that I did not want nor did I ask for. I called the location to resolve the situation, they would not help. I then called their corporate department to review the situation and they would not help either. They would not provide a refund, even if they made the error, customer service was very poor.

On July 23rd 2016, I Sat down with Jonathan assistant manager ID # ** at LA Fitness in Port St Lucie West Florida to talk about personal training. I told him I could only work in the mornings as I am a full time employee and full time student. I usually go to the gym at 5 am but have never seen any personal trainers working with anyone that is why I ask him three different times if he was sure that I could get the training in the mornings. He assured me that he was the one who would be working with me and we proceeded to do the contract. The first workout we had together he was late and he never showed up again. I went to the gym the Saturday after and he told me that he got promoted to another gym and his manager has my information and would call me to assign me to another trainer but that never happen.

I called LA Fitness on numerous occasions to find out about the training and each time spoke to a different manager who gave me fake names and each time I was told nothing was noted on my account and they would note the account. One manager said his name was Mike **, another said his name was Chris **. I got a call from someone name Ray no last name about two weeks after who said they have resolved my problem and he has a trainer available so I should be at the gym Wednesday morning. I showed up and no trainer showed up. I called repeatedly to ask them to cancel the contract until another time since they cannot accommodate my schedule but they wouldn't and continued to charge my credit card. I called Capital One to block my credit card and I was told that it is better to change the card.

I changed my credit card and Capital One gave them access to the new card. I got sick after that and was in the hospital when I got a call from LA Fitness that they need my payment, I told them I was in the hospital. I was told to send them a note from the doctor and they would cancel my account. My husband took the note to them the next day and they took the doctor's note but did not cancel the contract. I have had surgery since then and cannot work out but still the contract has not been canceled. I don't know what else to do.

Three clubs LOCATED in Phoenix AZ WILL not let me, all access club member entrance to my club instead requiring a new LA Fitness membership based on the fact I am from California. Regardless that I have my membership pdf document in tow and guest access absolutely not because unless I sign up I must be a Phoenix AZ resident to get even a guest pass however online there is a guest pass for five days free every six months that include a friend but the confirmation letter states it's, "for you only" and three times at one club I got so mad I called the desk clerk and two snotty girls ** and was chased out while they said they were calling police. I was offered a made up package by Breon - TWO weeks for 75 dollars each - which went down to 30 dollars each for me and mom which mom angrily declined and no, there was no free guest pass.

At another club I was told by two employee/managers I had to sign up with LA Fitness and was ineligible for the conversion scan code because I missed the deadline. A customer I run into told me. His friends from California were also arm twisted to sign up for LA Fitness and were pissed but cough up the money. According to the article AZ Central presented online according to officials all 24 hour Fitness members with all club access are to enjoy 41 clubs in the valley. My contract says I have 450 clubs and I have always accessed these clubs and if you are not a resident of Phoenix they WILL not give you a guest pass as I have been reminded at the Camelback LA Fitness unless I take out a membership because I am from out of town and because I PURCHASED my membership in California I am denied AZ access as told to me by desk clerks and phone conversations with customer service. Fraud...State Attorney General.

I signed up for a personal training contract for a year fully knowing that if I wanted to cancel early I would have to pay half of the remaining contract amount. I got lucky and ended up with an awesome trainer so I decided to increase my session by two a month. Now she has so many clients that in order to get a time that works in my schedule I have be on the computer at midnight on the day those session become available. I am not asking for just one time slot. However, if I do not sign up for a session immediately the only ones available are at 8:00pm at night which does not work very well when I get up at 5am for work. I have reached out to see if I can reduce those two session since I can never get them scheduled and received a phone from the manager but he is never there when I visit the gym. Hoping that they will work with me to resolve the issue but I doubt it. I already have over 10 unused sessions with more accumulating each month.

Sent numerous cancellation forms, called and spoke to 3 different managers, spoke to headquarters and still nothing resolved. Well I guess the biggest plus is they finally had a competent GM at this location to finally cancel our memberships. My husband is a 100% disabled vet and we could no longer come to the gym as his condition was worsening and we notified them of this on numerous occasions. He just recently underwent 2 spinal surgeries due to injuries sustained in Iraq and Afghanistan. And has been unemployed and bed ridden. We surely could not afford to continue to pay for a membership we could not use anyway.

We pleaded with them to please properly cancel the membership and they kept claiming that's what was done. We would get calls from employs trying to update billing info even though our bank never changed and we would tell them to have their GM CALL US THAT WE HAD ALREADY CANCELLED THE MEMBERSHIP MONTHS AGO! But little did we know they kept writing reports saying we would tell them we're not updating and that we want to cancel! Not true at all we said the same thing every time that we already cancelled on many occasions and to let us speak to the GM and they would say they're busy and say they'd have them call us back.

Finally the billings stopped and we assumed naturally that they finally got our multiple letters, our phone calls, something. So to our surprise we wake up to 200+ dollars taken from our account from LA fitness. So you can imagine how upset we are, especially with how full our plate already is! Now they are telling me they refuse to refund my husbands money and that we will just have to deal with the outcome. LA Fitness robbed a 100% disabled vet, right after 2 spinal surgeries and during unemployment at his lowest point. As if suffering from traumatic brain injury and severe PTSD, as well as multiple other issues wasn't enough, lets add to it by stealing from someone who has nothing!!!

This place is a joke and now I have to find someone to look after my husband while I hand deliver VA DISABILITY FORMS AND A doctors note stating he cant work out! Hes not even allowed to put on his own sock you douchebags! I cannot get over how sneaky and terrible this company is!!! I will make sure I let the world know what scam artist they are at LA FITNESS!!!

My wife has been an athlete all her life, and has been going to our Pompano Beach LA Fitness several times a week since it opened this past New Year's. Both of us purchased 2 year memberships at that time. When we purchased the memberships we were told that it was easy to suspend your membership at any time if we knew we were not going to be able to use it for an extended period due to health issues or even business travel.

In August my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer and will be unable to use fitness equipment for 6-8 weeks per the instructions of her surgeon. So, we asked both our local representative and a corporate rep that her membership be suspended, but were shocked when we were told that there would be a $35 fee to suspend the membership. Since $35 is roughly what 6 weeks of membership is worth, it would turn out that there would be no benefit to suspending the membership. So, in sum, she will be losing 6 weeks of paid membership because of breast cancer.

For a business that sells itself as promoting health, it is bitterly ironic that they are unwilling to support the breast cancer recovery of an existing, dedicated client. If they hadn't already pushed all the mom and pop gyms out of business, we'd be taking our business elsewhere. I guess this is the price we all pay for allowing monolithic, faceless, singularly profit-driven businesses like LA Fitness to verge on monopoly. They can even pump us for money when were literally lying down and unable to fight back.

In August, I canceled my LA Fitness membership according to LA Fitness' policy. I printed the required document with the included barcode, and I mailed it via certified mail to ensure delivery. On August 22, I received an email confirmation from LA Fitness that my cancellation request had been confirmed. The email stated that my final billing date was July 28. Regardless, LA Fitness continued to bill me 34.99 per month on July 29.

Moreover, in trying to resolve this issue, I went over my records and realized they had been double charging me for months. 29.99 and 34.99 each month since February. I contacted them, and I was told it was a membership for someone I do not know. Clearly these charges are fraudulent. I have contacted LA Fitness numerous times for a resolution, but they keep playing phone tag with me and nothing has been done to solve the problem. I want a refund of 34.99 for the continued unauthorized billing of my account, and I want a refund of 29.99 for 9 months for the fraudulent charges on my account. 304.90 total.

I have been going to LA Fitness Smithtown for 2 years now. More than half of the times the hot tub is either being drained for cleaning, closed for repairs or only partially working. I have talked to the "manager" and he assures me it does not happen that often. I have not kept a log, but I do know that for it to not be available more than half of the times is excessive. Also, when it is open, it is not all that clean.

I swim at LA fitness in Greensburg PA. My triathlon team trains there 3Xweek. I was swimming 2 weeks ago and my skin start burning while in the pool. I swam for 30 minutes not knowing why I felt bad. I found out they closed the pool right after I got out due to massive amounts of chlorine in the water. My skin was irritated all day, my lips swelled and my black and pink swim suit is now white and gray. I did call customer service and explained what happened. They said they would call me that day. That was 2 weeks ago and I haven't heard a word from them. The women at the front desk have been rude when I swim now and ask if the chemicals are balanced because I don't want any more skin irritation. Any help?

They have a very sneaky way to charge from the customer after the customer have cancelled the membership. When you sign up for the membership you can do it from the gym but if you cancel it we can't do it from the guy. We have to send a printed cancellation form to California. I submitted my cancellation form on April but still was charged $42 'til October. When you call them they have the worst customer service. The people are rude, when you ask for the manager they say that they are the manager. Worst worst worst experience.

Customer service does not respond to e-mail. I was wondering why? Spent time to find their phone number. It is 949-255-7200. Talked to one of their managers named Kevin. Now I understand why they do not respond to e-mails. Because they do not care. Kevin was my worst ever experience talking to. Will cancel mine and all my friends membership with LA Fitness.

Horrible company. One star is too many. This company will do everything it can to steal your money. Once you've noticed they're stealing it and you try to contact them, you'll find that their telephone customer service is the rudest, least caring, absolute worst you'll ever encounter. I am currently pursuing a class action lawsuit, please feel free to join.

This location only has one trainer that works mornings. When I signed up I said I wanted Tuesday morning at 10:00 am and was told no problem. The trainer changed his schedule a few months later leaving very few morning appointments and none on Tuesday. He put those appointments back but now either doesn't show or shows up late. Training to cancel contract now and getting a lot of pushback from the company.

LA fitness Company Profile