LA fitness

Compare Health Clubs

Research top Health Clubs recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

An evil corporation designed on the sole purpose of not servicing any of its customers and leading them through an endless loop of lies and deception just to take your money. Once you are a member they will never let you go. It is really ridiculous that it is almost impossible to cancel your subscription because they won't allow it by phone. They won't allow it in person. It takes ages for them to process mail applications to cancel and they keep delaying and charging month by month. Just completely ridiculous. I told my bank to stop processing any payments and that was the only way I was able to stop my membership. They charge random fees every now and then for no reason whatsoever. The staff has no idea of what’s going on and can charge you additional fees if they feel like it.

It took them 4 months to fix the showers that were out of service and they did a half ass job leaving the showers even more disgusting than before. Absolutely rude and obnoxious staff that think they are right and you're stupid. The equipment is extremely old and outdated with many of them always out of service never to be fixed. Hours of operation are stupidly short and the fees are stupid high. The pools are always dirty and FULL of chlorine. Last time I checked it is supposed to be a water pool not CHLORINE pool. The worst corporation I've ever dealt with.

I supposedly signed on as a month to month customer with no contract. I tried to cancel my membership. There were two options, complete a form or go into a branch. Firstly there was no form online so I go into a branch. Well they only do that Monday through Friday YET they do new memberships on the weekend. After getting the runaround multiple times I cancel my payments. Then the harassment began... 20 calls daily, including Saturday and Sundays. No way to cancel and constant harassing calls. The place on Route 3 in Clifton is filthy and has a high level of thefts. STAY AWAY!!! New York Sports Club is way classier proving that you get what you pay for.

I contacted my local location in October to cancel my membership only to discover in November that was not done. I was charged for an additional month that I did not want nor did I ask for. I called the location to resolve the situation, they would not help. I then called their corporate department to review the situation and they would not help either. They would not provide a refund, even if they made the error, customer service was very poor.

On July 23rd 2016, I Sat down with Jonathan assistant manager ID # ** at LA Fitness in Port St Lucie West Florida to talk about personal training. I told him I could only work in the mornings as I am a full time employee and full time student. I usually go to the gym at 5 am but have never seen any personal trainers working with anyone that is why I ask him three different times if he was sure that I could get the training in the mornings. He assured me that he was the one who would be working with me and we proceeded to do the contract. The first workout we had together he was late and he never showed up again. I went to the gym the Saturday after and he told me that he got promoted to another gym and his manager has my information and would call me to assign me to another trainer but that never happen.

I called LA Fitness on numerous occasions to find out about the training and each time spoke to a different manager who gave me fake names and each time I was told nothing was noted on my account and they would note the account. One manager said his name was Mike **, another said his name was Chris **. I got a call from someone name Ray no last name about two weeks after who said they have resolved my problem and he has a trainer available so I should be at the gym Wednesday morning. I showed up and no trainer showed up. I called repeatedly to ask them to cancel the contract until another time since they cannot accommodate my schedule but they wouldn't and continued to charge my credit card. I called Capital One to block my credit card and I was told that it is better to change the card.

I changed my credit card and Capital One gave them access to the new card. I got sick after that and was in the hospital when I got a call from LA Fitness that they need my payment, I told them I was in the hospital. I was told to send them a note from the doctor and they would cancel my account. My husband took the note to them the next day and they took the doctor's note but did not cancel the contract. I have had surgery since then and cannot work out but still the contract has not been canceled. I don't know what else to do.

Three clubs LOCATED in Phoenix AZ WILL not let me, all access club member entrance to my club instead requiring a new LA Fitness membership based on the fact I am from California. Regardless that I have my membership pdf document in tow and guest access absolutely not because unless I sign up I must be a Phoenix AZ resident to get even a guest pass however online there is a guest pass for five days free every six months that include a friend but the confirmation letter states it's, "for you only" and three times at one club I got so mad I called the desk clerk and two snotty girls ** and was chased out while they said they were calling police. I was offered a made up package by Breon - TWO weeks for 75 dollars each - which went down to 30 dollars each for me and mom which mom angrily declined and no, there was no free guest pass.

At another club I was told by two employee/managers I had to sign up with LA Fitness and was ineligible for the conversion scan code because I missed the deadline. A customer I run into told me. His friends from California were also arm twisted to sign up for LA Fitness and were pissed but cough up the money. According to the article AZ Central presented online according to officials all 24 hour Fitness members with all club access are to enjoy 41 clubs in the valley. My contract says I have 450 clubs and I have always accessed these clubs and if you are not a resident of Phoenix they WILL not give you a guest pass as I have been reminded at the Camelback LA Fitness unless I take out a membership because I am from out of town and because I PURCHASED my membership in California I am denied AZ access as told to me by desk clerks and phone conversations with customer service. Fraud...State Attorney General.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LA Fitness?

I signed up for a personal training contract for a year fully knowing that if I wanted to cancel early I would have to pay half of the remaining contract amount. I got lucky and ended up with an awesome trainer so I decided to increase my session by two a month. Now she has so many clients that in order to get a time that works in my schedule I have be on the computer at midnight on the day those session become available. I am not asking for just one time slot. However, if I do not sign up for a session immediately the only ones available are at 8:00pm at night which does not work very well when I get up at 5am for work. I have reached out to see if I can reduce those two session since I can never get them scheduled and received a phone from the manager but he is never there when I visit the gym. Hoping that they will work with me to resolve the issue but I doubt it. I already have over 10 unused sessions with more accumulating each month.

Sent numerous cancellation forms, called and spoke to 3 different managers, spoke to headquarters and still nothing resolved. Well I guess the biggest plus is they finally had a competent GM at this location to finally cancel our memberships. My husband is a 100% disabled vet and we could no longer come to the gym as his condition was worsening and we notified them of this on numerous occasions. He just recently underwent 2 spinal surgeries due to injuries sustained in Iraq and Afghanistan. And has been unemployed and bed ridden. We surely could not afford to continue to pay for a membership we could not use anyway.

We pleaded with them to please properly cancel the membership and they kept claiming that's what was done. We would get calls from employs trying to update billing info even though our bank never changed and we would tell them to have their GM CALL US THAT WE HAD ALREADY CANCELLED THE MEMBERSHIP MONTHS AGO! But little did we know they kept writing reports saying we would tell them we're not updating and that we want to cancel! Not true at all we said the same thing every time that we already cancelled on many occasions and to let us speak to the GM and they would say they're busy and say they'd have them call us back.

Finally the billings stopped and we assumed naturally that they finally got our multiple letters, our phone calls, something. So to our surprise we wake up to 200+ dollars taken from our account from LA fitness. So you can imagine how upset we are, especially with how full our plate already is! Now they are telling me they refuse to refund my husbands money and that we will just have to deal with the outcome. LA Fitness robbed a 100% disabled vet, right after 2 spinal surgeries and during unemployment at his lowest point. As if suffering from traumatic brain injury and severe PTSD, as well as multiple other issues wasn't enough, lets add to it by stealing from someone who has nothing!!!

This place is a joke and now I have to find someone to look after my husband while I hand deliver VA DISABILITY FORMS AND A doctors note stating he cant work out! Hes not even allowed to put on his own sock you douchebags! I cannot get over how sneaky and terrible this company is!!! I will make sure I let the world know what scam artist they are at LA FITNESS!!!

My wife has been an athlete all her life, and has been going to our Pompano Beach LA Fitness several times a week since it opened this past New Year's. Both of us purchased 2 year memberships at that time. When we purchased the memberships we were told that it was easy to suspend your membership at any time if we knew we were not going to be able to use it for an extended period due to health issues or even business travel.

In August my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer and will be unable to use fitness equipment for 6-8 weeks per the instructions of her surgeon. So, we asked both our local representative and a corporate rep that her membership be suspended, but were shocked when we were told that there would be a $35 fee to suspend the membership. Since $35 is roughly what 6 weeks of membership is worth, it would turn out that there would be no benefit to suspending the membership. So, in sum, she will be losing 6 weeks of paid membership because of breast cancer.

For a business that sells itself as promoting health, it is bitterly ironic that they are unwilling to support the breast cancer recovery of an existing, dedicated client. If they hadn't already pushed all the mom and pop gyms out of business, we'd be taking our business elsewhere. I guess this is the price we all pay for allowing monolithic, faceless, singularly profit-driven businesses like LA Fitness to verge on monopoly. They can even pump us for money when were literally lying down and unable to fight back.

In August, I canceled my LA Fitness membership according to LA Fitness' policy. I printed the required document with the included barcode, and I mailed it via certified mail to ensure delivery. On August 22, I received an email confirmation from LA Fitness that my cancellation request had been confirmed. The email stated that my final billing date was July 28. Regardless, LA Fitness continued to bill me 34.99 per month on July 29.

Moreover, in trying to resolve this issue, I went over my records and realized they had been double charging me for months. 29.99 and 34.99 each month since February. I contacted them, and I was told it was a membership for someone I do not know. Clearly these charges are fraudulent. I have contacted LA Fitness numerous times for a resolution, but they keep playing phone tag with me and nothing has been done to solve the problem. I want a refund of 34.99 for the continued unauthorized billing of my account, and I want a refund of 29.99 for 9 months for the fraudulent charges on my account. 304.90 total.

I have been going to LA Fitness Smithtown for 2 years now. More than half of the times the hot tub is either being drained for cleaning, closed for repairs or only partially working. I have talked to the "manager" and he assures me it does not happen that often. I have not kept a log, but I do know that for it to not be available more than half of the times is excessive. Also, when it is open, it is not all that clean.

I swim at LA fitness in Greensburg PA. My triathlon team trains there 3Xweek. I was swimming 2 weeks ago and my skin start burning while in the pool. I swam for 30 minutes not knowing why I felt bad. I found out they closed the pool right after I got out due to massive amounts of chlorine in the water. My skin was irritated all day, my lips swelled and my black and pink swim suit is now white and gray. I did call customer service and explained what happened. They said they would call me that day. That was 2 weeks ago and I haven't heard a word from them. The women at the front desk have been rude when I swim now and ask if the chemicals are balanced because I don't want any more skin irritation. Any help?

They have a very sneaky way to charge from the customer after the customer have cancelled the membership. When you sign up for the membership you can do it from the gym but if you cancel it we can't do it from the guy. We have to send a printed cancellation form to California. I submitted my cancellation form on April but still was charged $42 'til October. When you call them they have the worst customer service. The people are rude, when you ask for the manager they say that they are the manager. Worst worst worst experience.

Customer service does not respond to e-mail. I was wondering why? Spent time to find their phone number. It is 949-255-7200. Talked to one of their managers named Kevin. Now I understand why they do not respond to e-mails. Because they do not care. Kevin was my worst ever experience talking to. Will cancel mine and all my friends membership with LA Fitness.

Horrible company. One star is too many. This company will do everything it can to steal your money. Once you've noticed they're stealing it and you try to contact them, you'll find that their telephone customer service is the rudest, least caring, absolute worst you'll ever encounter. I am currently pursuing a class action lawsuit, please feel free to join.

This location only has one trainer that works mornings. When I signed up I said I wanted Tuesday morning at 10:00 am and was told no problem. The trainer changed his schedule a few months later leaving very few morning appointments and none on Tuesday. He put those appointments back but now either doesn't show or shows up late. Training to cancel contract now and getting a lot of pushback from the company.

When I become a member they never said I had to pay extra 15 dollars a month if I wanted day care service. For weeks I have taken my daughter 2 or 3 times a week to wait in their child center for an hour until day when the manager on duty prompted me to pay 5 dollars today for the service of an hour or 15 per month. When I was telling her that I wasn't aware of those extra charges, that I thought it was included she insisted that I had to pay or leave. I gave her a 5 20 dollars bill and she went to her purse yes her personal purse but she had no change so she never offered to pay with a card or anything. She wanted me out of there asking me to wait aside while she was checking in other customers so they won't have to wait but it was ok for me to get her awful service.

Needless to say I asked the number to call corporate and that was even worst since the person I spoke named Kim or Micky or god knows refused to give me her last name. She covered the manager saying how nice of her go to her purse for change since they don't keep change in their store, and telling me with 0 empathy there was nothing she could do to help in the end offering me to go back and go get my 11 years old who was waiting in the car to have her in the day care for today but next time I would have to pay.

My daughter refused to go back in so she waited for me in the car for the 40 minutes of class or less since I spent all this time on the phone. Anyway in the middle of the class they sent a guy to tell me several customers were complaining of my 11 years old waiting in the car and That I had to leave. I asked my daughter. Nobody ever spoke to her. She was just reading her book, had no clue. Basically they wanted me out of the gym and they got it! Looking forward to find me another place. :)

Signed up with a friend and when I had to move and couldn't continue with the training membership head trainer promised that if my friend signed up for a separate membership he would assure I had to pay no buyout and didn't even check further into my moving address. Just had my friend pay for new membership; then later said he couldn't fulfill his promise to me. When I complained he said it was too bad, that his word meant nothing and that I shouldn't of thought about it better myself, was loud in front of people on the front of the gym, and said that I could call corporate and they would not do much either.

I called corporate and they only offered to cancel my friend's new membership and even though their employees deceived us, was rude and unprofessional there was nothing they could do. I paid over $1k for the buyout and had the worst experience during my trainings and after I discussed cancellation. This company Does Not care about their customers whatsoever. Employees can do whatever they need to sell. They can treat you like crap after and nothing is done cause they got your money under contract.

Do not take PERSONAL TRAINING at LA FITNESS, it SUCKS... save your money. Also the mobile app lets you cancel sessions 12 hours in advance and the contract says 24 hours. I canceled a session from my mobile app and the trainer still charged me for it - FIX YOUR GOD DAMN APP and stop charging people for their money. Is it really that tough for you guys to hire a decent programmer for your IT department?

On August 1, I went into LA fitness in Warwick RI interested in hiring a personal trainer. I told the sales person that I was very concerned about finances. The young girl's name was Jesslyn. I believe she was a new hire, because she pulled her sales manager in to assist her. Chris ** began giving me this huge sales pitch and went on the computer locating great deals. I repeatedly told him that I was very concerned about finances and what I could swing financially. I stated "what can you do for me?" I asked repeatedly about the cancellation and was told that I can cancel at any time, preferably 10 days prior to the monthly draft being taken out. He gave me a quote of $200 a month, which was good for 1 year and could be canceled it anytime, so he claimed. I figured I could swing that for a few months.

I asked if I could take home the contract and look it over. I was told no that it was not a contract, but rather an agreement and once again I could cancel at any time. I was told that the deal only good until the end of the month in order to lock me into that price. I stated clearly that I wanted a female trainer and was verbally guaranteed the SAME female trainer. I stated I wanted a female trainer, because I wanted the opportunity to build a relationship with a trainer who knew my goals, needs and desires personally.

Once again I was verbally guaranteed the same female personal trainer. I was asked to sign on an electronic pin pad to seal the supposed agreement. Again I stated is this a binding contract or agreement. I was told that it was an agreement and that I could cancel at any time. I was also asked to initial what was explained to me as minuscule stipulations in the agreement, and was assured that I could have the same female trainer and there would be no penalties. In good faith I signed.

Needless to say within the 1st 3 weeks, I went through 3 different female personal trainers. Disgusted and pissed off, I went into the LA Fitness to discuss my dissatisfaction with the GM John **. I explained to John my dissatisfaction. That this is horrible for 200 bucks a month, not the quality I was guaranteed. John stated "I understand it is like paying a CAR PAYMENT!!" His exact words. That I can have you work with so and so. I flat out refused and stated that I wanted it canceled. John informed me that I needed to speak with Alan ** the head of the PT Department. Sensing I was going to get the run around I went home and did some extensive research (which I should have done prior to even joining LA FITNESS). What I discovered was horrendous business practices and individuals who had the same nightmares and complaints as I am experiencing now.

The following day I went into LA Fitness with my husband and spoke to Alan ** personally. Knowing the nightmare that others have experienced with this company, and what we may be up against, my husband and I explained to Alan that we currently are faced with financial hardship (which we are recent cutbacks at work environment to avoid layoffs) and cannot afford the $200 a month. "What can be done for us? What can you do to help us out?" Alan ** then stated, "Don't sweat it or lose sleep over it. You need to call Corporate Office personally and send out a certified letter explaining financial situation." As a consumer the mere fact that I have got to jump through hoops to cancel at my dissatisfaction is completely LUDICROUS. Alan ** then stated that once he receives a call from the Corporate Office following the reception of my certified letter and a request he put in for cancelation of my training he would ok it.

Well it has been a back and forth tirade with this company. I received a call from a Diane ** from Corporate. She claims that in order for me to cancel the "CONTRACT" which was explained to me as an agreement when I signed up, that I would need to come up with the remaining 50% as a buyout. THIS was NEVER EXPLAINED to me when I signed the agreement or contract. Whatever the hell it may be. When I explained to her what Alan stated to me regarding canceling the contract she asked. "Who?" At the time I did not have Alan's last name.

On the website he is listed as Alan **. I explained this to her and she then responded that this was never told to her. It has been an absolute nightmare. I am literally losing sleep over this situation. Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES would I RECOMMEND this company to anyone. The CUSTOMER SERVICE is DEPLORABLE. Their practices need to be stopped in order to protect the consumer.

I have tried to cancel my membership over and over again for over 4months after speaking to numerous reps, faxes, mailed cancelation requests, NOTHING!!! I finally have had to cancel my bank account to stop the payments. In the meantime they have taken over 5 payments of $75.00 each over a period of 5 months. Still never heard back from them. "DO NOT JOIN" unless you know it will be a lifetime commitment or are willing to pay eternally.

Men's changing room smelled and was dirty (hand towels on the ground); happened on multiple occasions. Asked for the manager on duty (Sat night) no manager on duty; was told that they do not have anyone to clean the men's room and wait for after the place closes to clean. If you enjoy a clean club; I wouldn't join.

I have asked multiple times to cancel my two month contractual window for the $25 guest fee and am always told that ONLY the managers can help me. The managers are unavailable and very rude when they are available and refuse to help me. Today in the Levittown, NY club, they refused to remove the charge saying that the computer was frozen and that corporate was unavailable to help me or call me and that it was my problem to remove the charge. When I stated my legal rights as a consumer, she still would not help me.

When I left the LA Fitness Club, a large built man from the club followed me to my car and threatened me to roll down my window. I refused and he said he was going to "take care of me," and he took down my license plate number. I filed a complaint with the police and am getting a lawyer. Consumers should not have to feel threatened because they make a decision to modify an agreement that they have a right to modify. Their behavior has been downright illegal.

Worst cancellation experience I've ever had. I try canceling my membership a couple times. First time I walked in and they said they couldn't cancel it because the manager wasn't there. I called in the following day and they said the manager was there but he would not be able to cancel over the phone that I had to walk in. I was at work so during my lunch break I drove there and spoke to the staff that I had talk to over the phone and she said I was good to go that my membership had been cancelled that all they needed me was to walk in and that I was going to see another charge on my account but that it was going to be refunded. I received no email or receipt and surely a month after another charge. I gave them another call and they said I needed to come in and speak to the manager because they had no records of me canceling.

I walked in and I received the same story and that the best thing he could do was cancel it at the moment and refund me the one month I had been charged a couple days before. I was so angry I told them just to cancel it, that I didn’t need a refund out of courtesy. Why is it that I signed up online and I can't cancel online or over the phone and when I tried to do it in person I didn't get a good experience out of it. There is no contract so it shouldn't be hard to cancel online or over the phone. The managers are usually there Monday-Friday 9 am-5 pm which is the time most people are at work. I will never again be a member of LA Fitness until they fix this issue and they stop screwing people over. We leave in the internet era and it's unbelievable that to cancel they give you the runaround. Hopefully we as a group could make a difference and drive this company to fix this issues.

Horrible, disgusting company as a whole, from a man named Stacy to his "boss" Brian, all the way to multiple corporate representatives. Bait and switch, good cop bad cop, the whole nine yards. Don't waste your money supporting such a horribly run establishment which clearly has no business ethics knowledge whatsoever and even less integrity and character to back it up. Disgusting uncleaned locker rooms, spots that haven't been cleaned for weeks. Don't walk in there without sandals if you don't want an infection!

Quote you a low price then charge you more and I have been trying to cancel for 4 months now. And they keep charging my card. Only the gym manager can help with that except he is never there. Oh they say he works 9 to 5 Mon, Thu, Fri, when everyone else is at work, but take time from your job and go by "he just stepped out", "he is sick today". Write the corporate office they tell you the same ** story. When I threatened to take it to social media he laughed and said "I guess you should have looked there before you signed up". Now that I have I can see all the horrible reviews for this exact problem. Let's get an attorney and file a class action suit. STAY AWAY. THE ONLY THING THEY MAKE FIT IS YOUR MONEY IN THEIR WALLET!!!

After joining LA Fitness, I purchased 3 ONE TIME ONLY training sessions with a personal trainer. I had to fight off harassments from multiple employees trying to convince me to sign up for a year's worth of them. Finally, one employee helped me and told me I could sign up for more when I had the money. For months now I have been under financial stress and have had to borrow a lot of money to make rent and utilities.

I recently switched to a international bank with online banking so I could keep track of my money better and discovered that I've been charged $135 a month since February for PT sessions I didn't sign up for or use. The company, who had my signature from my membership agreement form either photocopied it, forged it, or tricked me into signing something hidden that I never read, because they have my signature on the forms for the PT sessions and won't refund my $1,080 or stop the withdrawals until the end of the year cycle. I am hundreds of dollars in debt and face untold hardships.

May 26, 2016 between 3-4 pm I went to Broadview, IL LA fitness and asked to cancel my membership. Lady on the front desk was very friendly, she told me that she could do it for me and she said that she cancelled my membership by that time. So I still had month June deposit and I use it couple times until of June 21. In the end of August I checked my online account and I found that LA FITNESS been charging me for three months after I cancelled my membership, so called Broadview, IL LA FITNESS and I was told that my membership account still active..... SO, LA fitness people made me foolish. If anybody want to cancel membership do not trust LA fitness verbally cancellation coz your membership account will be active like mine and another thing you have to cancel your credit card. Thanks for reading.

There's an expression "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results." Well, I tried LA Fitness in 2012 for two months, "learned my lesson," and quit. Tried LA Fitness again in 2013 for two months, "learned my lesson," and quit again. Tried LA Fitness again in 2016, "learned my lesson," and quit again. And by "learned my lesson," I mean I am apparently insane. By good cop bad cop, I mean this: the LA Fitness sales guy on the phone gives you one sweet deal. You arrive to fulfill said deal only to learn the bad cop has arrived to invalidate the never existing deal so he upsell you. Then you walk out in frustration while they sip their energy drink.

I called in to cancel my membership, after I was billed for $29.00 without warning as they automatically drafted it out of my PayPal account without my permission. It happened before where I was billed for $29.00 and billed 2 weeks later for an additional $29.00. After the last auto pay was done, I called in to cancel my services but they do not allow cancellations online or through the phone so I had to physically stamp and mail in a form (even though you can get the form through the cancellation option online which isn't actually a cancellation option but you have to print it out and mail it in physically).

So I did mail it in and received a cancellation e-mail. However, I was billed again another $29.99 as they attempted to withdraw from my debit card on file. I called in to ask why was I still being billed when I already cancelled - they said because I still need to be billed for the month of August. I stated that I already paid for the first and last month's billing and why do I still have gym privileges till October. The manager I spoke to said my last month falls on Sept, so my gym usage doesn't cancel until October. I got upset because I said "That doesn't make sense. Why couldn't you apply the last month to be the August that I cancelled?" He said it doesn't go by usage and wouldn't refund me the $29.99 even though I haven't been using the services and have been billed every month since then.

I'm very disappointing in the greediness of their business. As an U.S. Army veteran I moved to the VA Gym which was more convenient for me. Their customer service was awful and they will still continue to bill me for the $29.99 which is more important to them than the hundreds of dollars I already paid. I have received my second harassing e-mail for $29.99 payment and would receive phone calls prior to cancellation for payment.

CHARGED ME 99 INITIAL FEE AND 70 MONTHLY FEE which should be 35 a month. Pushed me to get their personal trainer, using pushy words and judging on my appearance, made me feel very uncomfortable. I am currently working on cancelling the membership, or make the worst choice: cancel my linked credit card in case they still charge from it. ** LA fitness, they care nothing about the health but the money in your pocket.

LA fitness Company Profile