LA fitness

LA fitness

3.8/5 (1059 ratings)

About LA fitness

LA fitness Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LA fitness?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about LA Fitness?

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

My kids signed up for what was supposed to be a two-month summer membership. LA had a promotion that immediate family does not pay the initiation fee. Instead LA gave them a contract with a $49 initiation fee + a monthly fee that they have to come in IN PERSON to cancel! Their personal training costs a lot of money but LA pays the trainers a low wage, and most are minimally trained (when they improve they go elsewhere for higher pay). You pay a lot but don't get very much in return.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

Do not sign up with LA Fitness, they will charge you an annual fee even when the gym is closed due to the pandemic and you do not actually use it for one year. They also unfreeze your account and keep charging your credit card and when it declines they charge you a fee for every attempt, and they keep ringing it up to boost the amount of money they make from the declined card. They will cancel the account without paying off the fee so they just keep stealing money until you can pay it or go into bankruptcy.

Local club managers claim they can't do anything and just tell you to come back with another card and head office tells you to go to the club and deal with the manager so the customer is just a ping pong ball getting passed back and forth while everyone washes their hands of the problem. They basically hold you hostage and refuse to let you go until you pay them off, but if you don't pay them off they just keep charging you like a loan shark. Go to any other gym to stay clear of LA Fitness. I will be making a complaint with the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services and with the Better Business Bureau and continue to post what kind of thievery they call a business that they're running.

Get buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

LA Fitness promised to refund my membership since I cancel it right away and recharged my card a month later. If they were honest I would at least use my membership and the gym. This way it was just stealing.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

The instructors complain that the payment they receive is lousy. As a consequence the quality of the classes is bad. In most cases the instructors are not professionals. There is no variety in the classes offered by the gym. I pay the same price for the enrollment at the gym since a long time ago, however the quality of the gym has dropped a lot. There are machines and bathrooms broken.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

Customer service is nonexisting. Aside from part how you are unable to cancel membership, the other thing is that they do nothing to enforce sanitary rules. People swim in shoes! Underwear or fully clothed, this happens in several locations in Arlington and Hyattsville MD, I reached out to customer service and management they did nothing nor ever reply on emails. I also requested to cancel membership, they didn't.

Original review: July 19, 2021

Apologies in advance voice texting. Purchased a personal trainer contract many months ago. Within two months found out I was ill, have had two surgeries. My doctor wrote a letter stating that I was permanently disabled and unable to work out with weights or any exercise in that environment. Have sent all documentation to LA Fitness between five and eight times. Every time I speak with somebody they will pacify you, act very concerned, act very customer service oriented, it's all lies and delay tactics. One excuse was they couldn't print my doctor's note. My husband was a member for over 20 years and he will be going in this week to cancel his membership along with my standard membership. He has had multiple people added on during his 20 years of business.

The director of our local LA Fitness has lied to us. Now corporate office has lied to us, and they have continued to charge my bank account even though I have a doctor's note and ever express to them I haven't been able to 20 months. If you have any desire to do any personal training or even just general exercise and fitness, I recommend going to any other company besides LA Fitness. Once they have your card number or checking account number they disregard any pertinent information regarding your file and charge the monthly fee without hesitation.

Original review: July 11, 2021

This place is so bad, they let people into the locker rooms with bolt cutters, all my belongings, credit cards, keys everything stolen. If you want a real easy score just head over to LA fitness and tell them you left something in the locker room. NO PROBLEM. The front desk is too busy eating lunch. It took forever to even get them to call authorities but it was really a waste. The authorities have free memberships so hey, girl hey. If you have to go, keep your belongings with you at all times. I MEAN ALL TIMES!! Trust NO ONE. The front desk are letting ppl steal and getting their cut on the backside. Which is why there is never any video.

Original review: July 6, 2021

I belong to the LA Fitness Signature Club in Hyde Park, Chicago. Unfortunately, even though my husband froze our family membership account in person in May, 2020 due to the pandemic, I continued to be charged my portion of the monthly fees and only found out about it recently. Then, I found out my daughter was being charged $10 a month. I find their customer service in California to be slimy, underhanded and dishonest. They would only reimburse me for 6 months. I am furious and I recommend that every client beware and check your accounts!!!

Original review: June 23, 2021

While I enjoy the gym, I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND personal training unless you feel like wasting your money. I paid for 6 months of training as soon as the gyms opened up in June 2020, I have been a member of LA Fitness for several years but never did the personal training, so I wanted to give it a try. I started training with Levi, who was great, while the gym was working on getting more trainers. Then they got Sydney, who was also great; however, shortly after arriving, she left.

It was ALL DOWNHILL FROM THERE. I first was scheduled to train with a lady who was 30 minutes late to my 30-minute session; she approached me when an excuse of how her first sessions normally run long, so that is why she was late and asked me if I was ready to train or what...um OR WHAT. I was furious, I went to the service desk, and they apologized and told me they have a better trainer, their "Master Trainer" for me to work with. Ebert (or something like that). I was scheduled with Ebert, and when I arrived, he was not there. The front desk assured me that Ebert was told I was coming, but he was not there, nor did he answer their calls. Again I was furious. After that, I was told that other gyms had better trainers, I wanted to cancel, but they ASSURED me it would get better. I have NOT TRAINED again and yet was still being charged $200 per month.

Well, in February, before my last payment, I refused to pay it; I told EVERYONE that called me I wanted to receive some value for the $800 that I had already paid before I paid anything else. So what was the corporate and gym's solution? They canceled my personal training, removed all my paid for sessions (24 sessions), did not refund me any money, and have not followed up on the issue that I have made 3 attempts to contact. I have been to other LA Fitness locations, explained what happened, and they were in disbelief; however, no resolution has been made. My most recent attempt was June 2021... a waste of money and a waste of time! So, to make a long story short, save your money and time or invest in personal training elsewhere.

Original review: June 11, 2021

Purchased a national plan. For a year and a half the gyms were closed and they only offer a 3 month freeze? Now they want me to renew?!!! And of course nobody ever answers the phone and STILL blames covid and safety with reduced staff that closes at 2pm pst. Complete **.

LA Fitness author review by Joey Thurman

LA Fitness was founded in Southern California in 1984. Today it has over 300 locations across the United States and Canada. LA Fitness offers fitness equipment, group classes and personal training.

• Group fitness: LA Fitness offers a wide variety of fitness classes at its locations, including Boot Camp, Belly Dancing, Cardio Jam, Cycle, Hip Hop, Latin Heat and more. Use the fitness class locator tool on LA Fitness’s website to locate a class near you, learn what to expect and find out what to bring.

• Personal training: Certified trainers offer free one-hour fitness assessments for new members and additional training for a fee. A trainer can help you determine your pace, set goals and track your progress over time.

• Pools: Many LA Fitness locations feature heated indoor swimming pools, which provide a great low-impact fitness option. You can take swim lessons, swim laps or do group fitness classes in the pool.

• Kids Klub: Some LA Fitness locations feature a Kids Klub childcare service. Additional fees may apply.

• League events: LA Fitness offers league and team events throughout the year at most of its locations. These include basketball leagues, racquetball tournaments and many other competitive activities for those who like team fitness.

by Joey Thurman Fitness and Nutrition Expert

Joey Thurman is a nationally recognized and spin certified health, fitness, nutrition expert and television host He is the author of "365 Health and Fitness Hacks That Could Save Your Life." His work has been featured in publications such as Men’s Health, U.S. News and World Report, NPR, People Magazine, Shape, NY Post, Fitness Magazine, ‪Women's Health and many more.

LA fitness Company Information