LA fitness
  • 1 star
Based on 376 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

LA fitness

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 8, 2017

1466 LA fitness Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

LA Fitness, Beverly Hills, California Wednesday, December 6, 2017. This particular club is one of their Signature Clubs which offers many amenities such as Towels, Soap, Shampoo, Conditioner, etc. Their clubs are often a lot larger as well and they have plenty of Free Weights, Bikes, Classes, etc. to suit Your Needs. If You live or work in the Beverly Hills area, then please be sure to join LA Fitness. You Can't Go Wrong With Your Health! Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

I worked out a full year with LA Fitness, and I did have personal trainings. Actually all clubs are making lots of money from members who have personal trainings. I understand that and I had a nice times with my trainers in LA Fitness, even though both of them left and told me they would find a better place than LA Fitness to work. However, I gave 1 star and decided not to work with LA Fitness ever again, not because of the trainers, not because of the facilities, I gave 1 star because of the poor membership services and 2,000 dollars I lost here.

Here is what happened to me. My membership expired this July and I still have about 10 training sessions left. I came to the local club (13244 Aurora Ave N, Seattle, WA 98133) and get another 3 months membership. Because my favorite trainer left, I told the manager not to add any more sessions to me until I restarted my trainings. The manager told me not to worry about that and he will schedule an appointment for me with another manager to discuss about the personal training.

I came back at the scheduled the other day after almost 1 hour drive, but he again told me the manager has been back home... He asked me to dial in on weekdays to discuss. I dialed in on the next Monday, a guy picked up my phone and told me he would have his manager to call me back in 10 minutes... And not surprised, I didn't get any phone call later on that day. I came back to the club that weekends. A front desk service guy asked me about my situation and told me that I won't be charged if I don't restart personal trainings. I believed him and just left.

For the next months, I was out of US and busy with work a lot. Not until 4 months later I found that almost 2000 dollars were charged to one of my credit cards for new personal training sessions. I came back to the local club asking why that happened even after I confirmed with the manager, and they told me there is nothing they can do about that. They can only cancel all my sessions without giving a single dollar back to me. I would say LA Fitness do everything they can to charge you and put budget on you. Their local club services are disrespectful. Again, a terrible experience with LA Fitness. I will never recommend any of my friends going to this club.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

Please save yourself the time and money and DO NOT sign up for personal training. To save face I won't name names but they put on this persona that they are really in it to help you and further your goals but really when the time comes for renewals, cancellations, etc. they clearly don't care about you other than squeezing all they can out of you and getting in their numbers. It's a horrible game preying on the vulnerable. I was so excited and had high hopes for personal training at LA fitness but could not have been more disappointed with my experience. There are so many other superior options not to mention more affordable - please don't fall into this awful trap!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

Worst experience ever. Tried to get a guest pass for my brother because we were thinking of getting him a membership and it was the hardest thing to do and didn’t even get a guest pass. Then when I tried talking to a manager they gave me the hardest time with that too. It’s like they didn’t wanna help me at all. Worst experience ever. Going to cancel my membership and switch gyms.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I signed up a 1 year personal trainer contract. My first training (after several years no sport) ended with me not able to walk for 2 weeks due to strain and heavy sore. No advice of stretching before and after... After 10 month I did let them know I don't want to extend my membership. From this moment I was not greeted anymore from the staff where they check the membership card when you enter (not from the trainers). The best part is - I don't have online access anymore to book my trainings even if I'm still a paying customer since my account has now the "cancel" status. It's just insane how people at this firm treat customer when they know they don't get any more money. Maybe they should hire capable IT people. We are living in the 21st century... and I know this is manageable. Since I read the reviews here I'm curious if they try to charge my card in the future... I would not wonder.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LA Fitness?

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

LA Fitness Hilltop, Kingstowne Alexandria, VA - Well here we go again. I reported this issue to the Fairfax County authorities because it is a public health concern. November 11 NO HOT WATER in the lavatory or showers. It has been that way for "several days" according to the staff. I reported this last year about the same time, when temperatures dropped below freezing. You think maybe the staff did NOTHING to prevent water pipes freezing? Or perhaps it is the utility room constantly alarming (continuous beeping) that I hear almost every time I visit this gym. Oh, and to add insult to injury, the constantly playing audio loop in the club tells us to "check out our juice bar for a refreshing smoothie"... Well, there is NO JUICE BAR. Are these clowns asleep at the wheel or what?

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I have been a member since early '17. I have only kept the membership because of convenience sake. The equipment, including the air conditioner (this is in South Florida where it's a zillion degrees in the summer) are often broken. There was a smash and grab last week in the parking lot where multiple cars were broken into and had items stolen and they couldn't even be bothered to clean the glass up in the parking lot (days later it was still everywhere). It's a rarity if there are paper towels in any of the dispensers and often no sanitizer. Most of the staff have a nonchalant attitude and barely speak when you enter or leave the gym.

Equipment, from what I have heard and believe it because I see it, is the original from when the gym opened. A lot of the cardio machines are rusty and need to be calibrated or "set"... The plates on the ellipticals and CrossFit trainers are uneven - making for sore knees every workout... Sorry not much good to say here, unfortunately. A few nice employees - that's about it... Hands down it's the worst gym I've ever worked out at but again, it's in a semi-safe location and the closest other gym in a nicer area is a 20-25 min drive.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

If you're just looking for a gym to work out at (you have your own routine, know what you want to do, etc.), then this place isn't too bad - aside from the fact that they make the cancellation process unnecessarily difficult for working professionals and that they seem to take forever to replace broken equipment. Now the Personal Training (a.k.a. Pro Results) is a whole other story...

When you first join the gym, you're offered a complimentary fitness assessment. They market this as a way to help you set your workout goals upon joining the gym so that you can better tailor your personal workout to your needs, but it's really just to get you to purchase their absurdly priced Personal Training packages. They are extremely deceptive in their practices, and will have you thinking that you're paying $45 - $50 per session on a monthly basis to be whipped into shape by a fitness expert via 1 hour sessions.

The fitness assessment is usually done by the head trainer, and meant to be grueling on purpose to give you the illusion that those are the kinds of workouts you'll be receiving, as well as make sure you're too tired to really read between the lines of their nonsense. They'll also talk a big game about "measuring you, weighing you, and giving you customized meal plans/nutrition tips" to get you to your goals faster. My favorite part is the nonsense of you signing a "month to month contract" and that your signature is required so that your account can be debited for the payment since Pro Results is a different company, and so that you have signed off understanding the inherent risk of working out.

ALL LIES! First of all, you really only get 25 minutes with the trainer. The other 25 - 30 minutes you're expected to do your own independent work... in other words, something you could've done yourself without the personal training account. Secondly, many of the trainers on the floor aren't even certified, and you don't really know their education level with regard to personal training, fitness, and nutrition. I have been using the service for 4 months and have yet to see any type of customized meal plans or have any measurements taken.

After having some buyer's remorse and wanted to cancel the PT account (because it seemed like all my PT was doing was finding exercises on YouTube and asking me to do them - I can do that myself and save $130+ a month), I'm told that I signed into a year long contract, similar to a lease and that I cannot get out unless I pay a buyout fee of 50%, and that I will not be able to redeem any sessions. I explained with corporate that I was not told that this was a year long contract, I was told that this was month to month like my regular gym membership. All she had to say was... "Well, did you read the contract?"

I expressed to her that I felt their tactics were deceptive and that it's unreasonable for someone to deduct that they're locking into a year-long contract for a GYM service when hearing, "You pay for this on a month to month basis." This is not a loan that I applied for or a mortgage/lease. It's Personal Training services, for crying out loud (and SORRY personal training at that!).

These people lack compassion. I know a girl that got furloughed from her job and wanted to freeze the contract, they wouldn't allow her to do it. She also didn't realize she couldn't cancel. People have had major life events and changes, relocated, and no matter what, have been unable to cancel. Find an independent personal trainer, or a gym that won't trick you into signing an outrageously high year-long contract for 30 minutes each week with a personal trainer that might've never worked out a day in their life, but went through an internal LA Fitness training development program and now is on the floor all of a sudden as an "expert." LA Fitness is horrible!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

They charge my bank account every month. No matter how many times I call, Email, or mail cancellation letters, they continue to charge my card. Only after filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau did they accept the fact they were at fault. They contacted me and offered to pay back one year of the fraudulent charges to my card. TOO LATE. I’m contacting a lawyer and suing this company. They will pay dearly in court costs and damages. Their bank account will feel the pain their customers feel each month when they rip them off.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I was told when we joined it was month-to-month and we could cancel anytime. I emailed them to cancel, and was told to go online and print out the cancellation form and hand deliver it. I did that, or at least I tried. I went into LA Fitness to cancel and was told I had to mail the form. I told them that in an email, I was told it would be quicker to go in person to cancel. Then they changed their story, and said I would have to come back between 9-5 because only one person was authorized to cancel the membership and they weren't there. I explained to them I work from 8-5 and couldn't come in between those hours. What a deceptive practice to make it SO hard to cancel a month-to-month membership. Shame on LA Fitness.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

LA fitness is a gym that will do anything to get you to sign a long term contract with horrible penalties if you find you cannot go to the gym or simply cannot afford it. They will not offer month to month for personal training which so many other gyms do. Shop around, find a gym that gives you easy month to month sign up, no penalty cancellations, deferment of sessions if you have to take a break and will not charge you initiation fees or sign up fees which are ridiculous! 24 hour fitness is a much better option. BUYER BEWARE with an LA Fitness personal training contract.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

I started going to the club because they had a pool. When you first sign up they give you a free lesson with a personal trainer. What they do not tell you is that if you move and want to cancel, they will drag it out and try to take as much money from you as possible. You hear one thing from the club and then another thing from billing. So after you talk to your former personal trainer, and think the matter is resolved you get charged again and again. Sure the club is alright, but whatever you do, do not sign for a personal trainer.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I'm sitting here in tears!!! They trick you into signing contract and won't cancel it for nothing. They somehow get all my new card numbers and I can't do it anymore. I need someone's help. I am drowning. They've taken over 2000 dollars from me and I've only went there for 3 weeks. Can someone please help me? This gym is the worst customer service I've ever seen.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I had to cancel my debit card to stop LA Fitness from charging my debit card. Well the saga continues. They call daily. Once they realize we have no interest in their gym, they say, well, you owe a late fee. When we introduce or attorney Mr. **, they are kind enough to refund late fee, but they call the next day. This company is a complete joke and I question anyone's sanity that chooses to do business with them. P. S. The funny thing is that we have gone to this gym for years. It use to be 24 hour Fitness. We would cancel, then a year so later, we would go back. An apocalypse couldn't make me take shelter there, now.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

My 12-year-old son and I entered the basketball court and sat waiting for the current full court game to be played. While my son and I waited patiently for the game to end obeying etiquette rules, another player entered court after my son and I and he waited as well for game to be over. Once it ended he obviously had some friends on the court and the guy that went in after us grabbed four of the losers and they began running full court without my son and I given a chance to play. I let them know that I wasn't okay and that I'm on now these other four guys just played. They said I didn't call next and said I got next game. I stayed on court and shot without moving as they ran up and down court. The one player took stopped the game and took my ball and throwing it into gym workout area. I went to manager and was told multiple lies.

The issue was not resolved. I took it all the way to the GM and he basically stated that they were 100% wrong but my tone and my issue of resolving the issue was wrong. I stated, "You said I was 100% correct that my son and I should be playing. I had someone take my property... More especially my 30-dollar basketball and chuck it into the gym as well as have someone threaten to fight me." The GM did nothing to these people but yet told me to leave his club. Never have I seen anything like this in my 36 years. This place is a joke. Don't ever become a member.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

As a pregnant woman who is expecting in a few weeks, and someone who requires her membership frozen due to medical reasons for 2 months, I am extremely appalled by the policy of freezing a membership with a $10 monthly fee despite medical necessity to freeze my membership. Not only is this completely absurd, but this should not be legal for a company to require a member to pay a fee despite medical restrictions provided by a physician. The staff that works at the LA Fitness my husband and I attend has a very high turnover rate, which does not help when trying to refer to things that were told when you signed up several months ago. I would not recommend anyone have a membership at any LA fitness because of their horrible policies and their corporate workers who are extremely unsympathetic to their loyal customers' situations.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I'm LA Fitness member since 2003. I had issue with LA fitness in Pasadena California. My issue in September 2016 I enroll in training for one year and it was ten sessions a month for 300 dollars first issue was the manager over there name Joe told me that each session is 45 minute end up to be 25 minutes. I did ask the trainer. He said it's 30 minutes. I told him Joe said 45 minutes. He shakes his head and didn't say anything. First 2 months everything was ok besides the 25 minutes.

After 2 months and it was on Monday I had training at 6.30 in the evening. Went there and I saw the trainer name Luis training someone else. I asked him what happened. He said, "They told me to training new member." I said, "But you didn't even called me and told me that you can't training me today." Luis said, "Talk to the manager name Joe." Went to talk to Joe. He told me that he's short on trainers and, "Please be patient. I have new trainer coming next week." After 2 weeks he called me and he told me that I can do one time a week till he hire new trainer. I asked him about the missing sessions. He said. "Don't worry. It will roll over and you won't lose anything."

Time went by and my last session was in August 19 -2017. I did ask how many session I have left. They said 33. I ask what's going to happen. Now they told me, "You pay 35 dollars each month for 3 months and you finish your 33 sessions." I said, "Ok. I'll pay the 35 dollars a month." Went on vacation and come back. I saw that LA fitness charge my account another 300 dollars. Went there and I did talk to Joe. I said, "You charge me 300 dollars and the contract is over." He start showing me in the contract that I was suppose to cancel it otherwise they will keep charging me. I told him, "I told you guys to cancel the contract and we made a deal that when I'm back I will pay 35 dollars a month for 3 more months." He start lying in my face and acting like a street person.

I don't understand why LA fitness will hire that kind of peoples unless the corporate knows what are they doing. By the way I find out that I'm not the only one who's had this bad experience with LA fitness in Pasadena especially with who he call himself a manager. Joe. Call the corporate and explain what happened. They told me they have to talk to Joe first. Seems like my problem with Joe not with respectful. LA fitness I feel this manager Joe doing fraud and someone need to stop him. I'm going to take him to the court one on one since the corporate don't care and I'm not going to pay 300 dollars a month to finish the sessions. I already pay for it.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

This review is for Frisco Dallas North Tollway location. I would call them cheat as they change their statements every day when it comes to enrollment. Pls be very careful in dealing with them especially when you enroll and make your first payment. I will be contesting on the basis of false advertising.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

I received an email advising me my membership was up for renewal and I was required to give 60 day's notice to cancel my membership. I called to cancel but was advised that I had to come in M - F between 9 - 5. Funny, I was able to sign up any time of day, but had to come in during business hours to cancel. What if I was unable to during those times and hours, I was told I had to come in only during that time to cancel. I went in to cancel and was told I would receive an e-mail confirmation my cancellation. I had to go back in two more times to finally receive the e-mail that confirmed that I cancelled my membership. I was told that I would not have any other charges charged to my account as of August.

In September I was still charged $203. I went in and was advised that they were going to get the Operations Manager to call me. Three days later and no call, I called them. I spoke to the Operations Manager, Lesha but was told that it was Dustin I needed to speak to. So again I was told by the staff the wrong person that I needed to speak to. I was on hold for about 10 minutes when he finally came to the phone. I told him what happened and he explained that he will not refund the charges for September as I did not cancel my personal training. I asked him how am I suppose to access the gym without a membership. He had no response but said because I did not speak to him personally about cancelling the personal training, it was not cancelled. He will cancel it for October. I explained to him that I was never advised that I needed to speak to him to cancel my personal training.

I asked to speak to someone that could correct this situation. He said he is the only one at that location. I asked for the head office and he said you can call them but they are only front line and won't be able to do anything about it. I called the head office and the person that answered the phone said that he will ask about the matter and get back today to me. When I asked him for his name, he said it wasn't needed as he made a note about the call. I have no faith that I will get my money back for a service that I cannot access because I no longer have a membership with. I am also worried that I will get a similar charge in October again since I only have the word of someone that is does not conduct business in an ethical manner.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

I signed up my 15 year old son with a personal trainer at LA Fitness. I needed for someone to coach him during workouts and get him to get the most out of his time at the gym. The staff was so friendly when we went for our free first session. So I signed up for twice a week at a whopping cost of $250 per month. Soon after my son joined the football team at school and got his ankle crushed during a play. I tried to explain to LA Fitness that he could not workout for a while and they could have cared less. They started quoting Attorney General of Georgia Law to me and said there was no way out of my contract because I had signed my life away. I called Corporate in LA and they were even bigger jerks. And the nice trainer that my son boned with and was looking forward to working with left after a month.

So after he recovered we tried to squeeze in a few more training sessions in July and the new trainer he was assigned to was on vacation- but did they still charge us? OF COURSE THEY DID! Explain that one to me. Well in the fine print it says that I'm suppose to drive across town to another LA Fitness when that happens. Oh they have everything covered. These guys have top notch lawyers that write contracts that cannot be broken no matter what. So now my son is hurt again after a rough football game, and I have a doctor's note and everything saying he is not to work with a trainer at Personal Fitness and they still don't care. This is a greedy, awful company. Can't wait to dump them and never, ever go back. I hope the whole company folds and declares bankruptcy. I will celebrate!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

All they are looking is ripping off money from customers. They don't care about the customers' satisfaction. I joined LA fitness at Normal/Bloomington, IL facility. Just after 1.5 months of joining I had to move to Albany, NY all of a sudden. I went to inquire if they have a facility at Albany, NY, which they didn't. While signing up for membership, I paid for 2 months in advance and was told if some unforeseen circumstances comes (the employee specifically mentioned - such as moving to a city where there is no facility), we will refund you the last month money if the month's billing has not started. I agreed and paid for 2 months in advance.

But when I had to cancel, they told me their manager is not available. I wonder why they have so many people sitting behind desk but only person who can cancel. Now reading after so many reviews, it seems almost everyone went through the same problem. I was lucky that I found the membership cancellation manager after 3 visits and he agreed to cancel my membership. But he refused to return the advance payment for last month (which was still 15 days away). I took the corporate number but when I called at that number, a lady named Michelle was talking as if she was reading the script. She kept on saying that did you read the agreement.

And when I asked, “Is what you say and what you write two different things?” Then she said something magical - "You have the ability to use the gym, but if you are unable to use it, I can't give you the refund". And I asked her – “That is precisely I am saying. I do not have the ability to use the gym, since you have no facility in Albany, NY.” And she again repeated the same thing. So, finally I Asked her, “Where can I post customer reviews?” And her response was that “You email us your review.” And when I asked, “So, you are going to filter the review,” she has no response and kept saying email us at blah blah blah email I'd. I got really pissed off and disconnected the phone eventually. I will never recommend this gym to anyone. Cancellation is such a messy process and you will definitely end up losing money.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

I experienced a high level of unprofessional, antagonistic and boorish behavior from Loren ** - Manager Indianapolis-Shore Drive location. Loren ** was overly aggressive with her delivery with the intent of making my experience very uncomfortable among club members. Please note: LA Fitness Our best resource is the team of people who warmly greet you. The managers are dedicated to making the fitness experience an exception one. Loren ** provided just the opposite. Sincerely, Extremely Dissatisfied Member.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

This locker room is never kept up. The showers have clumps of hair on the shower floors, broken tile, baby powder spilled all over the benches. The shower curtains have mold on them. For a gym that charges 30.00-40.00 per month to be a member should really look at fixing these things and have better up keep.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

I know it used to be really common for gyms to have you sign a one year or two year contract and then not let you out of it when you wanted to cancel. The last couple of gyms I have been a member at, have not given me this issue, but LA Fitness did. I emailed them last month to cancel my membership and they sent me a confirmation email. Unfortunately, I didn't see that the final billing date they listed was July of next year, not this year, until I called to find out why it was still being taken out of my account. I asked them how much sense it makes for me to cancel the membership but still keep paying for it... I might as well have kept it, and they should have made it clear to me that I would still continue to be charged. They stated I could do a "buyout" for $105, which I will be doing since it's cheaper than paying for another full year, but I told them I was also going to make sure everyone knows to NEVER sign a contract with them!!!!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

I went in to cancel my membership at the LA Fitness desk and was not informed about the cancellation procedure nor was I given any form of receipt. The employee at the desk simply told me that everything was fine and that the membership was canceled. I found out that LA Fitness failed to cancel my membership and has been charging my credit card for one year and refuse to give me a refund. Customer services reassured me that they would look into the problem and call me back with updates. They never called back and when I called they said that they still would not refund me. Do not recommend this gym for anyone, you will get ripped off big time.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

I believe there is two sides to every story. So that being said let me start with the positive. Clifton LA Fitness there was 2 class instructors that were Awesome April and Shannon. Classes were challenging and fun and they taught them well. The negative. If you like basketball forget it. Courts always packed and no one there to organize playing time. Better off going to a park. Facilities at times disguising. Machine broke for months and some looked like they were never clean, same with locker rooms. And Never I repeat Never sign up for personal trainer it's a waste of money. They promise you things at initial interview and don't deliver or follow up.

I never was measured or giving a book to write down progress. And be careful when you cancel anything there. They charged me after I cancelled my son’s membership and took 2 weeks of discussion to get refund. Personal training department reminded me of a shady cars salesmen just out to make a buck and pretending to care about Fitness. And once summer hit the personal trainers were not there as often so it was hard to use up session. I could go on forever. Ending on positive note Clifton LA trainer Brandon was great. But upper management it's all BS smoke and mirrors. Read everything carefully before signing. They rush you through it. Hoping you do read it.

Original review: July 31, 2017

Recently, I brought a friend to go swimming when Will informed me in a very authoritarian, paternalistic voice that I could not bring her in without her providing him with a passport. I also said I had been told I would be paying only $5 for her visit. Will then informed me that wasn't the case - that the charge was $15. I was willing to pay this but we didn't bring in any ID except for my membership card. You would think that I could have been told in a nice voice that this time he would make an exception and let us in but going forward my friend, visiting from Switzerland, would have to bring her ID in. Oh... No flexibility there. Additionally, in the past I have asked for help with how a particular machine was operated correctly and told that I would have to do a special program at $99. Just to see how to properly use the equipment? If you can... go somewhere else! Who needs that to relax...

Original review: July 31, 2017

Do NOT sign any type of agreements with LA fitness. I signed up for personal training and made it very clear that I only wanted a 6mo agreement. The document I signed had the exact number of sessions and a Total Cost so I thought I was fine. Nope. I noticed I had a charge on my card for two additional months and when I called LA fitness they said the agreement I signed has to be verbally cancelled or they continue to charge you. I was NEVER told this when I signed the agreement and their response is "tough." So I'm out almost $500 for nothing. I immediately cancelled my membership to the club and even that was not easy.

Original review: July 27, 2017

I have been a Bally/LA Fitness customer for over 30 years and I cannot recall when I have been so disappointed in overall maintenance of a gym facility. I can see from the number of complaints online that neither Louis Welch or William Horner take pride in ensuring their facilities provide a clean and healthy workout environment for their guests. I verbally complained to staff person behind the desk about my concerns which are not new but ongoing and his answer was it is an "older" facility which I find a totally unacceptable. This week there are 10 machines scheduled for maintenance. On an average week there are always 2 - 4 down for repair. The carpet in the workout room is filthy and I would think unhealthy for any member to lay down and touch the floor. Word was when LA Fitness took over from Ballys' they were going to make a number of improvements, replacing carpet for one, but that still has not happened.

They have painted and replaced a portion of the carpeted wall borders around gym but other half is still the old peach, dirty border. Two of the TV sets are not working and a third is a green flickering screen. One TV that had black lines in the picture since LA Fitness took over location was just finally replaced. I guess it may take another three years to get other TV's working again! I wonder if the Health Department would approve the dirty floor and the unsanitary condition of bathrooms. The air conditioning continues to be an ongoing problem. I am truly surprised none of the LA Fitness staff at Encino facility have complained about their working conditions. It seems they are not permitted to have a/c on in office so the workout area is cooled. Well, it is a nice thought but does little to help the airflow in gym.

I think you are lucky no one has called OSHA about the poor working conditions they must endure. Every day I hear other guests complaining about the overall condition of gym but not sure anyone has taken the time to air their grievances. My hope is that you will stop treating this location like the ugly stepsister it is and bring the facility into the 21st century or at least a facility you could be proud of having the LA Fitness name. I will keep my fingers crossed we see improvement in overall aesthetics to improve your customers workout experience.

Original review: July 20, 2017

LA Fitness makes it ridiculously easy to create and account/sign-up for membership online. However, when you want to close your account, they make so incredibly difficult (it's blatant harassment). My cc was used in fraud so cc company issued new card, and I seized the opportunity - instead of providing LA Fitness with a new cc number - to inform them I was closing my account. They took no action, rather in the span of a 2-3 days over Memorial weekend - proceeded to leave at least 6+ voicemails on my phone about how they've been unable to charge my monthly fee, and I need to call them and update payment records quickly to avoid a late fee. Upon return from holiday, I returned at least one of those call and reiterated my interest in closing my account, and advised I would sent them a check for the last month (although I believe they collect that up front when you sign-up).

I literally spoke to 3-5 different people who continued to call me from LA Fitness, and advise me I had to go into the gym to request cancellation, or mail my cancellation request. Why? Didn't have to do that when I signed up! A month or so later, after repeated calls, I acquiesced and walked into the local LA Fitness gym to request my account be cancelled. I was informed the person I needed to meet with was unavailable (not even in the gym). I asked to complete the process with another manager, and was advised there was no one else who had the ability to close my account. I left a message at the front desk with my name and phone number, requesting Keiara call me back, but she didn't call me back. Two days later I call LA Fitness again, requesting to speak to seemingly the only person who has the magic power to close account, and once again she was not there.

I left a message again, and finally received a callback, although she was confrontational and argumentative in her efforts to not only explain away her absence, but also the general business practices of LA Fitness to drag out the membership closure process so they can collect more money. The only reason I joined with LA Fitness is because I knew they lost a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT for exactly this type of unethical business practice, so I thought they'd cleaned up their act. They haven't, rather it seems they've found legal ways I guess to incorporate language in membership documentation that allows them to continue unethical business practices of harassing members about payment, and making one jump through ridiculous hoops to simply close an account.

LA Fitness expert review by ConsumerAffairs

LA Fitness was founded in Southern California in 1984. Today it has over 300 locations across the United States and Canada. LA Fitness offers fitness equipment, group classes and personal training.

• Group fitness: LA Fitness offers a wide variety of fitness classes at its locations, including Boot Camp, Belly Dancing, Cardio Jam, Cycle, Hip Hop, Latin Heat and more. Use the fitness class locator tool on LA Fitness’s website to locate a class near you, learn what to expect and find out what to bring.

• Personal training: Certified trainers offer free one-hour fitness assessments for new members and additional training for a fee. A trainer can help you determine your pace, set goals and track your progress over time.

• Pools: Many LA Fitness locations feature heated indoor swimming pools, which provide a great low-impact fitness option. You can take swim lessons, swim laps or do group fitness classes in the pool.

• Kids Klub: Some LA Fitness locations feature a Kids Klub childcare service. Additional fees may apply.

• League events: LA Fitness offers league and team events throughout the year at most of its locations. These include basketball leagues, racquetball tournaments and many other competitive activities for those who like team fitness.

• Best for: fitness novices, athletes and fitness buffs.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs