LA fitness

LA fitness
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.71/5

LA fitness Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LA fitness?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about LA Fitness?

Original review: April 19, 2020

The one I go to is new. All the equipment is good, and at the time I go there is enough for everyone to use without being on top of each other. The pool only has two laps, but people share and we are able to make it work. The whirlpool is excellent. The locker rooms are fine, but they do not have enough people cleaning and members dump their towels all over the place. Overall, I am happy with the gym.

Original review: April 13, 2020

Not all LA Fitness are nice.. 4949 147th Street Hawthorne CA is the best.. Used to be a Gold's gym.. Clean except for jacuzzi and floating debris and lukewarm 50 percent of the time but good seating.. Tv... Big area to relax. Nice people for most part except for lady wanting to minister to me... And girl a couple of times saying there's the ugly girl in the sauna to her friend but on the whole it beats really dirty ugly 24 hr clubs with snotty personnel and tons of harassers in the locker room and cold pools like in Hermosa Beach.

Get buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Resolution response: Sept. 25, 2020

I understand the position the company was put in, and I love my gym and don't want it to close. When they were able to reopen for the few weeks before CA shut everyone down again, it was ran with social distancing and mask and cleaned constantly. I had no concerns being there and when we had to shut back down they pro rated our fees. Can't wait until we reopen.

Original review: April 10, 2020

I love LA Fitness and the people who work there. I am frustrated that they charged us a full month's membership and then closed down 5 days later due to Corona Virus and refuse to refund us...they give us only option to have a free month put on the back of our membership or give a three month membership to someone. After repeated request to have a refund I just get an email that is obviously a form letter with the same options. Other than that, the gym is amazing.

Original review: April 7, 2020

LA Fitness is a very clean gym. Equipment is always operable depending on which location you go to; you may run into some staff members that are pretty snobby. They have many locations throughout the states. If ever you need to cancel or suspend you membership that is where the issue is. You are required to mail a piece of paper requesting a cancellation to their California office. It just so happens they never receive said paperwork that is mailed to them, and customer service is absolutely no help.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

I’m a new Marine on RA (recruiters assistance), and I was looking for a gym to use during my two week duty. When I went in to the LA Fitness in Greece NY, Patrick, the man at the desk, set me up so that I am using the equipment at both facilities near me free of charge during this period.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2020

LA Fitness' business model is to guilt you into purchasing a membership, banking on the fact you'll hate it enough that you won't use their facilities, and then making it as hard as possible to cancel in hopes that you'll continue paying them a ridiculous fee for literally the rest of your life. Their monthly rates are stupid expensive and they offer nothing but old saggy naked men and sweat-drenched machines in return. The gyms are overcrowded and falling apart and once you're signed up, good luck canceling.

Want to cancel online or over the phone because you moved? Too bad. The only way you can cancel is either in person at the LITERAL gym you joined at OR you can write a LETTER and mail it to them, no phone or email allowed! A LETTER! What year do they think this is? The most offensive thing about this place is how blatantly obvious they are about screwing you. No effort to hide the fact that it's a scam because you're too stupid and lazy to actually print a form out, sign it and mail it. Well, jokes on you LA, I mailed my letter today and it only took me 3 years to do it.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

Before they open up again I called in to cancel my membership but after 3 months I found out they were still charging me and now they refuse to give a refund saying, "You can only cancel by going in person and mailing". I called in while they were still closed and the staff I spoke to told me it was cancelled and now they give me this crap excuse about why it didn’t.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

Despicable, unethical company. When COVID-19 started, I requested a freeze on my account because I have health issues that put me more at risk of hospitalization (or death) if I were to contract COVID-19. They told me they would freeze the account at no charge to me. They had to shut down shortly after that due to the pandemic getting worse and state-wide restrictions. This month I found almost $150 worth of charges on my credit card for my brother and my membership (6 charges in total). Apparently they sent out an e-mail (which I didn't receive) saying they were reopening and then just started charging people.

After calling my local gym and the corporate office, they still refused to remove all the charges, stating they are "a business". I told them I was not informed they would be reopening/charging me or else I would have cancelled the membership. I also explained that nothing changed regarding my health situation and that I never asked them to unfreeze my account that has been frozen since March. They still refused to refund me the full amount. We are in the middle of a global pandemic! I will be reporting them to the Better Business Bureau. I'm appalled and disgusted.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

Only took 3 months to get a membership cancellation on Wed, Sep 23, 7:53 AM. I sent my original email on Tue, Jun 23, 12:00 PM. Then hazard suited up to go to the location on July 21 to find that the manager "was at lunch." Got a call on my drive home which culminated in an 8 minute, 56 second discussion about my desire to cancel my membership amid his sales pitch. He finally acquiesced and said it was cancelled and I would get a notice via email in a few days. Guess it's my fault for believing him and not following thru to verify my membership was TRULY canceled.

I have been a member of 4 gyms over more than a decade and everyone is more concerned with their bottom line than any individual. Thank you, LA Fitness, for hammering home that fact. I will find any other way to exercise, outside of a gym membership. I will never, ever go to a gym again. The $21.98 inappropriately taken from my account for July, August and September will serve as testament to why gyms are an extortionist practice. I will be posting these very comments anywhere that leaving a review is an option. Have a nice day.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2020

Be careful giving LA Fitness your credit card. They add charges that you never agreed to. They don’t speak to you on the phone when you have issues with billing. Ok fine so we had to go in person to cancel our contract but had to pay to get out of it. Which we did for a agreed upon price and then they changed our credit card triple that. Not an honest company.

LA Fitness author review by Joey Thurman

LA Fitness was founded in Southern California in 1984. Today it has over 300 locations across the United States and Canada. LA Fitness offers fitness equipment, group classes and personal training.

• Group fitness: LA Fitness offers a wide variety of fitness classes at its locations, including Boot Camp, Belly Dancing, Cardio Jam, Cycle, Hip Hop, Latin Heat and more. Use the fitness class locator tool on LA Fitness’s website to locate a class near you, learn what to expect and find out what to bring.

• Personal training: Certified trainers offer free one-hour fitness assessments for new members and additional training for a fee. A trainer can help you determine your pace, set goals and track your progress over time.

• Pools: Many LA Fitness locations feature heated indoor swimming pools, which provide a great low-impact fitness option. You can take swim lessons, swim laps or do group fitness classes in the pool.

• Kids Klub: Some LA Fitness locations feature a Kids Klub childcare service. Additional fees may apply.

• League events: LA Fitness offers league and team events throughout the year at most of its locations. These include basketball leagues, racquetball tournaments and many other competitive activities for those who like team fitness.

by Joey Thurman Fitness and Nutrition Expert

Joey Thurman is a nationally recognized and spin certified health, fitness, nutrition expert and television host He is the author of "365 Health and Fitness Hacks That Could Save Your Life." His work has been featured in publications such as Men’s Health, U.S. News and World Report, NPR, People Magazine, Shape, NY Post, Fitness Magazine, ‪Women's Health and many more.

LA fitness Company Information