2.49/5
Based on 242 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 8, 2018

1505 LA fitness Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 8, 2018

Upon joining LA Fitness with two other family members 2 months ago, we received the high pressure sales pitch for the services of a personal trainer. We discussed that it would probably be a good idea to have someone help us out during the first couple of months to make sure we knew how to properly use the equipment so we could make the best use of our time. The sales person was quick to agree and said they would get us signed up. I was then directed to sign a little small signature screen and was told that by signing the electronic pad I would be agreeing to the training we had just spoke about. In hindsight, I was stupid to trust them, but we were excited to get started, so I gave them my credit card information and signed the little screen. We have been very happy with our trainer, but we are ready now to go solo.

Long story short: We were signed up for 8 sessions per month for 12 months at more than 350 dollars per month. With 10 months remaining! We had made it clear that we only wanted the services of a trainer for two or three months, but we're signed up for an entire year. They will not let us out of the training package even though I explained how we do not want, nor never intended to purchase a 12 months package. They want 1,800 dollars to buy out the remainder of the year. We went from being happy customers to being totally infuriated. They are completely heartless, and could not care less about misrepresenting themselves.

I was referred to a corporate office and received the same response as many have described here. I really wish I had read these complaints before signing up.

The only thing I can do now is to use every opportunity to warn people away from these most unscrupulous practices that are obviously part of their corporate culture of dishonesty. Take my advice and be very careful what you sign; you would actually do well to avoid them completely.

Original review: May 3, 2018

I recently attained a pass for LA Fitness and as it expired I decided to join. However, I had trouble with my debit card so I wasn't able to complete the process. The manager told me to go ahead with my workout then finish the transaction. I was in the sauna about 10-15 minutes and noticed my skin started to feel like needles were sticking in me. It was if I was being boiled. I left out and when I took my clothes off my arms were really hot and I had red spots everywhere. I felt nauseous and light headed. The sauna was above 192 degrees but the outside informational says 180 degrees. I informed the front desk and left. The doctor said I had heat exhaustion and could have had a heat stroke. Advised me not to go back until the temperature is correct. I contacted LA Fitness and to my surprise they said that their sauna is fine. This company cares nothing about its guest. Will not return.

Get expert buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 3, 2018

LA fitness has to be the most unprofessional job I ever tried to apply for. I was told to be at the interview by 1 pm so I arrived at 12:45 and they had me waiting for 45 mins before anyone greeted me or asked what I was there for, so I got up and told management, "Please don't forget about me" and still had to wait 30 mins after that for the interview.

When I finally got to speak to someone it was some guy who works at the front desk and not even management. He asked me how he could apply for Uber once he realized I made more money during the interview then lied to the manager say we was discussing the job when she finally arrived. The manager didn't really ask me anything and just read the resume I provided, So I started asking questions and in the middle of the interview random customers came up and interrupted the whole process because they don't even have a room to interview people in. Long story short after the interview I decided I can't work at such an unorganized and cringy place. THE INTERVIEW WAS A JOKE! Do better LA fitness. Get new management that cares.

Original review: April 18, 2018

04/18/18 I just signed up at one of your LA fitness locations (do note even have a id number I am so new). To say this was an underwhelming experience would be an understatement. There was one person at the desk and she was doing very well with a customer that was unhappy. When she found out that I needed to sign up she called someone over who helped me sign up. The annoyed customer started talking with him. I was finally signed up and I had the feeling he was going to walk away. I asked, "Can I hire a trainer on a case to case basis."

I was informed they have 6 and 12 month programs. He asked someone else (a trainer) to help me. While we waited for the trainer to get off of the phone this person's attention was everywhere but with me. He was looking around. I tried talking to him but his demeanor indicated he really had no interest in me. I have been in customer service for over 40 years. This was a major error in customer service. The person you are with gets your undivided attention!

The trainer got off the phone and introduced himself. High pressure sales right away. I asked (5 times) when I come in for the first time and just want to work out on my own will someone show me how to use the equipment. While I was not directly told no, I was told how the trainers will come up with a program for me. We did this 5 times and got nowhere. It seems incredulous that a new customer is not shown (at the least) on how to adjust weights, how to secure weights so they do not fall off, how to use the equipment so you do not get injured (using the machine incorrectly). Not getting anywhere I finally resorted to asking this person where is the bathroom, what does each kind of equipment do. His reply was, "I can show you around."

This took all of 3 minutes. As we walked he said, "this machine if for your legs, this one for your back, etc." Upstairs we have the simple machines for cardio? I made sure that I understood that means bicycles and treadmills. He said yes. He showed me where the showers were. I told him I did not need to see the locker room just where is it. After this "tour" he was asking when he can call me, and if Monday is ok.

What should have happened was about 15 to 20 minutes spent, telling me how to "use" each machine safely and correctly, what parts of the body they build up, etc. I came in excited to be trying this and left very disappointed, to the extent I may find another place that actually cares about their customers and does not see them as dollar signs. I feel that this attitude is prevalent throughout your entire organization. I came in under the silver sneaker program and will pass this along to Humana. What is noteworthy is that I had come in last year to just ask for some information and was greeted with the exact same high pressure sales tactics.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Wanted to spread some awareness on LA Fitness Scam! My brother & I recently signed up for services with LA Fitness & was charged $208.98 for Signup (which seems reasonable I guess). We were then talked into getting a Personal Trainer service. As we were discussing numbers on a piece of paper we were told the package would include a full year of training, 2 times a week for 30 min each session and would be charged $419. I agreed for that price I would sign up for those services. Among signup, the contract was summarized to us & I was asked to sign on an electronic signature platform. May I point out, the sales rep never once mentioned “monthly prices” or a cancellation policy therefore we assumed it would be the same as the normal membership policy which we were told we could cancel at anytime.

Now lets fast forward. A month later, I receive another charge on my card for $320 from LA Fitness. I call them for an explanation & was told I was paying $320 MONTHLY for the service. I remained calm & explained to the employee that I was misinformed about pricing being told I was paying for a year & if that’s the case would like to cancel. She tells me I need to talk to the Manager to cancel & that he was busy so would call me back. I continued to call throughout the week & one of the employees informed me he “said he already spoke to me” which was a lie! & would call me back. No call. Now I’m realizing some avoidance. I call again 2 days later & talked to a different manager & was told he would reach out to the Vice President to see what they can do & call me back.

A week goes by with no phone call so I call once again for an update. The same manager answers & transfers me to the guy who signed us up. I begin to explain the issue & ask why it turned into a monthly charge & all he could say is “I signed the documents”. “I should’ve read the documents & had 72 hours to cancel”. I then explained to him I could not afford the $320 a month as I am a single mother struggling as it is & he continues to say there is nothing he can do since I signed the contract. I responded asking if when the company puts me in debt & I provide paperwork to prove it, is that when they will cancel my membership?! What does the jerk say?! “Oh let me notate the account that you are going through hardships so when that DOES happen, we can see what we can do.” What in the heck!!! All he cares about is his Commission he made off the scam!

I’m fed up at this point & call corporate. I explain what happened & my option was to pay them $1,600 & they will cancel the membership. That is insane!! They said if I cannot provide proof there is nothing they can do. Now how am I supposed to get proof? By strapping a camera to myself anytime I want to sign up for something? I call my bank & tell them the situation & they change my card number & I send in a cancellation form to LA Fitness Corporate & receive a confirmation that the account has been cancelled! Now it’s April, got my new card & I check my bank account & somehow they manage to charge the new card an additional $320 WITH THE ACCOUNT CLOSED!

Decided to google reviews to see if anyone else had dealt with this same issue to maybe gain some support or advice on what they are doing to fix it & I came across MANY reviews of people that got hit with the same exact scam!!! Sales agent tells them they are paying a year of services & turns into a monthly payment! Of course by the time they find out it’s too late! Something must be done!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LA Fitness?

Original review: April 10, 2018

LA Fitness, Miracle Mile, Los Angeles: I have been a proud, loyal and outstanding member of LA Fitness! They have gyms all over the United States and even in Canada, my home country and they just keep on expanding! I am featuring Carolyn who is one of their experienced Pilates Instructors. Her classes are excellent and she has an incredible background in music publishing as well! She is an amazing person with quite a bit of talent and if you like Pilates, then please be sure to participate in one of her upcoming classes at LA Fitness in Miracle Mile, Los Angeles, California. I want to personally Thank Carolyn for the time that she took out off her day to make my Youtube Video with ME back on Monday, April 9, 2018.

Original review: April 9, 2018

My locker was broken into. Went to front desk. Front desk contacted police. Police arrived and met with myself and front desk at the entrance. Management is also located at the entrance. No one... NO ONE from their management department came over to inquire why the police were on scene. A customer could have been dead or injured for all they knew. This was the Brooklyn Center Location. I met with the building manager the following day and to his defense, he was not there. Nevertheless, no one else from that department had the skills or knowledge or morals to inquire about customer safety. Manager told me his manager would contact me. I got the case number from police and have been waiting for one week. Once again, no one has called. Case # **.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I sign up for LA fitness and due to some reason I try to cancel after 3/4 months and called them. They pick up call and when I explain situations they put me hold for 10/15 min no response. Try to talk with front staff at store they said, "Manager is not here," like 3 time when I am at store. And finally trying 1 months I meet a manager; one of the rudest person seen. Try to talk about situations. He is like, “You have to pay more 100$ cause we can’t cancel before 6 months.” Paid 100$ plus for 4 months club and personal training of 25 min session of 4 times. A month’s terrible experience and worse assistant.

Original review: April 5, 2018

These people are scam artists interested in nothing more than your credit card. Once they have it, they do not want to help you with anything. ANYTHING. If you call them, you will be transferred without warning to their corporate office if they don't feel like helping you. Then they'll tell you to get help from the local club. It's a vicious cycle. The managers that are supposed to assist "fix" everything are never present.

Storytime: Cameron, the former Personal Training Director of the Missouri Club, sold my brother and me on packages for 8 personal training sessions per month for $160/month. That sounds like a good deal, so we went with it. However, Cam would always schedule an extra session with us off the books with him, then one with another trainer on the books. We found out later the contract was actually for 4 sessions/$160/month. He did not honor his originally stated agreement.

Now we are stuck paying for something that was not a part of what we had agreed to with Cam, because he promised us something that was not true. How he explained this contract was incorrect. They allow their employees to lie, then do not care if their lies hurt people financially. Cameron's boss was supposed to contact me, and never has. My credit card keeps getting pinged for $160 even though I was told by one of their reps in the corporate office it was canceled and I would no longer be charged. There is another lie. I have yet to be contacted by an actual manager. They are still taking money out of my bank account, out of my brother's bank account, and out of my credit card, and we have not been to their club in MONTHS. DO NOT GIVE THEM ACCESS TO YOUR MONEY!!! THEY WILL NOT LET YOU GO!!!

Original review: March 31, 2018

Out of my personal experience they took their monthly payments for so many months and did not even answer my calls and messages to book an appointment for my sessions. I ended up frustrated and canceled everything I had with them. I would never trust or pay for any personal trainer again.

Original review: March 29, 2018

Yesterday after my workout I returned to the gym locker room to find my lock had been cut and my belongings (including wallet with cash, credit cards, ID, cell phone and keys) unsecured. I went to the front desk and spoke to Mike who said he was the gym manager. He told me that he cut the lock by mistake. I asked him why he just left my belongings unsecured. He said he was going to put a note on my locker, but didn’t explain why he just left my things. He was less than apologetic, and I asked to talk to his supervisor. He wrote a number down and handed it to me. I called the number which turned out to be a call center in California. I have made several phone call and sent emails to the LA Fitness and have gotten the runaround or no response at all. Very poor management and customer service.

Original review: March 23, 2018

The gym itself and the equipment is good but the problem with this LA Fitness location is the management. I set up an appointment with the fitness manager to see about getting glute/leg workouts and a few sessions to run me through the workouts. LA Fitness doesn’t offer anything other than a 6 month commitment and I don’t need that much personal training as I’ve been lifting for years. Since no options fit my needs the manager and I decided that we’d trade me doing her lashes (lash extensions) in exchange for a few PT sessions and workouts. (Which is usually grounds for instant termination if an employee does this especially a PT manager.) I then fulfilled my part of the agreement and gave her a full set of lash extensions and I got 2 PT sessions with her.

I then proceeded to ask for my workouts be given to me for 7 weeks!!! I had nothing but lip service as to how busy she was at work and just couldn’t find time to do it. After asking for 5 weeks for the workouts and the manager saying she just doesn’t have time to write my workouts up and constantly apologizing and that she WILL get them to me. My husband is leaving the gym and looks over at her as she’s taking selfies at her desk not working at all. So apparently she’s not too busy that she can take selfies then doing her clients workouts. She looks at my husband and says I’ll get them done right now! And apologizes. Again. And once again, a week later nothing from her. So, we go in and ask to talk to the general manager, but the Ops manager asked what our concern was. So we explain everything to her and don’t get much out of her other then taking our number down and said she’d call us.

So we wait and after 5 days no call and doesn’t even try and address our concern when we come into the gym. So, once again I go in and ask for the GM and talk to him. The kid literally doesn’t know what or how to handle the issue because he asks me what he should do. So, he says he’ll talk to the Fitness manager about it and he’ll talk to me the next day when I come lift. I go in the next day and talk to him and his solution was that he told Sarah to give me workouts and she’ll get ahold of me. I explain to him for 6 weeks she’s been telling me that same thing and never does. So he says I’ll talk to her when she gets back at 4 again and tell her to get back to you. Which I know will go nowhere because she’s been avoiding me. So I decide to get ahold of the VP and sent her a text about my issue. Her solution is to have her pay me for partial services I did for her.

I am absolutely amazed that they allow someone to be a manager that doesn’t conduct themselves as someone in management should and they obviously have no business being a manager. They have management ripping people off and the managers don’t even know how to deal with situations like this. So BE AWARE. LA Fitness lets their staff steal from not only them but their MEMBERS and nothing comes from it. I am disgusted as to how the ENTIRE management staff handled this situation! I will be canceling my membership and going somewhere else where management actually cares about their members.

Original review: March 22, 2018

Very dissatisfied with televisions on Fox News. A neutral station such as CNN or NBC or ABC would be fine but I do not enjoy listening to propaganda as I work out and I will not renew membership. I asked them to turn station and they would not. I complained to corporate office and I kid called back having done no research and said they do not control television stations. The facility is not clean and this just pushed me out the door after 23 of fitness membership at Bally then LA Fitness I can do better.

Original review: March 22, 2018

Husband with the membership went in October to the front desk to show dates of his upcoming deployment. He was told billing would not happen November and his account would be on hold. November called when the first monthly payment went in... told it would be refunded. December same issue. January again... & this time asked if I should go in with his orders. February AGAIN!! Today, I get an alert they are doing it again. Right now!! 5 months and he is truly deployed!!

Original review: March 21, 2018

If I could give LA Fitness zero stars I would. First of all, WAY TOO PUSHY for signing contracts. I know they love that money but their approach doesn’t give people time to think. I’m sure that’s what they’re going for but they’ll keep ending up with people like me, who are pissed off and telling everyone how awful they are. Trainer canceled on me multiple times, which is whatever but he seemed to be one of the only trainers there, and always had a packed schedule (so it was hard to have any options). When I told him I was canceling due to financial reasons and school starting up, he said, “So you’re giving up your fitness goals for school?” Yeah, I am because I work 1.5 hours away from home full time and I’m in school full time. I don’t have time anymore for the training. I also can’t afford it as I’m financially independent. School is expensive.

Apparently none of that matters, and they will continue to charge me $180 for absolutely nothing every single month. When I requested they take my credit card off file while I figure this out, they refused unless I replaced it with another card. You cannot keep my credit card information stored in your system if I do not give you permission. Doesn’t seem like they care at all about people, they’d just rather get paid. When I attempted to reach the manager of the gym I was previously attending, I was given the runaround with people claiming he would call me back later that day. He didn’t, so I called, and they said he was never there in the first place. Then the employee tried to tell me the “buyout” option was about $200 more than what I owed by just paying the full contract. Long rant, but merited. If you don’t believe me, try googling some of this (like “canceling la fitness policy”). You’ll find endless people ranting about the same topics I am.

My friend has a physical disability and even then was not allowed to cancel his contract. I don’t like being rude or giving terrible ratings to companies online, because I know the companies and the individuals I’ve dealt with don’t necessarily represent every person working for the company. There’s always good people in the mix. But my anger right now cancels out any of that hesitation. Hopefully they actually take what I say into consideration.

Original review: March 21, 2018

I recently tried to purchase a gift card on the LA Fitness website. After inputting all of my information I clicked submit and it generated a response telling me it could not process my request at this time. I thought no big deal, when I leave work today I will just stop on my way home and grab one because it is so close to my home. Looked at my bank account and they took the $200. Called up to the specific location and I was told I had to call corporate. Called corporate, they aren't open until Monday. Fine. Waited until Monday, was then told by Jason that it was an internal affairs issue and I HAD TO EMAIL THEM. Now at this point I am beyond irate. This is a birthday present for my boyfriend and his birthday is 10 days away. I email "internal affairs" and waited 2 hours for no response.

Finally I called and spoke with the GM of this certain location. He was extremely nice, tried everything he could think of to help me but with no resolution. In fact I was told this has never happened before and apparently my money is lost in space!!! RIGHT!!! Now after all this nonsense and not resolving my issue, I call back up to the store and tell them I am still willing to get memberships there but I'd just rather pay a yearly fee than have them have any of my personal bank account information due to what I just experienced. I was told I have to have a credit card on file and there is no way around it.

2 days later I have still have yet to receive a response from "internal affairs" and the lack of concern about not only my money and time, but the fact that my boyfriend's birthday present is lost in space, they only seemed to care about selling me into a package without any resolution to what happened to my money. Maybe a gift card of $200 since I proved to you the money posted out of my bank account and went to LA Fitness. Or I don't know a response from someone with an answer as to what is going on. Nope I will never sign up at an LA Fitness. If they will do this to someone who is trying to do everything to get into their gym, and they can't even respond, I will take my business somewhere else.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I bought LA Fitness membership through an email special offer in December 2017 and once try to go over there but the guy would not let me in as I did not download their app on my phone. I was told that they are paperless company and don't even issue membership cards anymore. After a year without having used the club I tried to cancel it. The website tells you to print the form and mail it. I did that but kept on getting billed to my AMEX on record. Later I went to the club and was told that there is no manager in the club so I have to mail the printed form I had already mailed. So I mailed it again in December 2017.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I signed my husband up for LA Fitness Leesburg linked to my account. He decided to never use it. Never went there to add his signature or to take the picture. So instead of canceling him, I tried to switch his name for my mother's. You would think they would rather have a client instead of a cancellation, right? But no! They tried to charge me more $80.00 for it! I guess that's how they really make money... The year fees and the two month's prior pay! It's a business that don't really care about the customers. I ended up canceling everything, including my membership. Was advised by a previous client to cancel my credit card as well and request a new one. It seems they usually keep charging you after the cancellation. Be careful with them.

Original review: March 17, 2018

I cancelled my membership with LA fitness. They continue to charge my credit card. I put a stop on my credit card. Now I am getting calls 2-4 times a day, Saturday at 9am from people all over the country trying to get me to pay my membership. Do not ever give LA fitness your credit card. Or they will just keep charging it!!!

Original review: March 13, 2018

I have had a membership with LA Fitness in the metro, and greater Atlanta, GA. for twenty years and I have referred well over 50 plus people, here and around the country, that also became members to this fitness center chain. Understandably this Club Chain has made $$$ thousands of dollars off of me and my referrals, and in spite of the fact that most of the clubs are not kept clean and equipment occasionally is not in function we still supported the chain with our dollars and our attendance. However, within the past 10 years I along with some of my other workout partners have experienced harassment at the hands of the staff, trainers and managers of various chains and we've been flagged as training, or should we say assisting, coaching and helping each other thru our workouts...

Please correct me if I am wrong but I thought that a fitness center is a place where people that want to improve their health and fitness work out together and lend a helping hand to assist each other in their fit body pursuits. The 'origin' of my harassment stems from my profile information. When I joined LA Fitness in 2000 I was an active fitness trainer with BodiGlyphiX, Inc. and had openly put that down under the 'employment' section of my membership application. Now this factor had No Issues until LA Fitness contracted their fitness training services thru an outside company around 2000. It was well known for hiring incompetent and sometimes uncertified trainers to somehow 'guide' their members.

This also led to trainers there to look at those members who had more knowledge, and for this matter 'better looking bodies' to be seen as the LA Fitness competitors to their business. Now that we've gone into the history let's look at where we stand as members. I've looked thoroughly at the membership agreement that I and other members have signed and there is NOWHERE on that agreement that has that Members can not help out fellow members, that they Workout with to achieve their fitness and health goals... The contract that I filled out doesn't say anything concerning how many people you can work out with, at what location or even how many locations (and even how many times per day) a person can exercise per day... These constitutes that the staff is 'Harassing' members and that Revoking a member's membership is illegal.

Original review: March 11, 2018

Buyer beware of the fitness monthly membership charges. We were told a 6-month contract and they signed us up for a 12-month contract. My fiance is deaf. I talked to Mike and he assured me it would be no problem to cancel. 6 months later it's $500 to cancel. No exceptions by everywhere. They are a scam operation only wanting monthly payments. Don't care about the customer. Took me three weeks just to get a callback. Calling every day for 3 weeks. Very very unprofessional.

Original review: March 11, 2018

Be aware. Be very aware. I was offered a phony 2 month program because I told them I couldn't afford a year of training. I was told this isn't something we normally do. I was inadvertently tricked into signing for a year. I didn't realize it because I trusted them. In good faith, they refused to fix it because I signed the contract. The trainer who signed me up said he would never offer a 2 month program. I was shocked that he denied that they offered me a special 2 month, 10 session agreement because I trusted him. Be careful when you sign up for personal training. They get a commission for signing you up for personal training. Read the entire contract before confirming it. I finally got hold of a Corporate Officer in California. She re-negotiated the terms of the contract, but I don't think I want to go back to that gym. I'm sure Karma and God will take care of them.

Original review: March 9, 2018

Anyone who has an LA Fitness Membership be warned. They are running a personal training scam and will try to get you to pay month to month. But they actually are signing you up for a year. @LAFitness #LAFitnessLifestyle CORPORATE DIDN'T HELP AT ALL!!! WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Original review: March 3, 2018

My boyfriend has been a loyal member of LA Fitness off and on for the past 10 years. He loved playing basketball, lifting weights, bringing friends to work out with him. He never had anything bad to say about the gym. So, being a former member of LA Fitness, I didn't hesitate to sign up again with him. They even offered me a reduced rate each month, ($5 less), if I added on to his membership. Signing the contract was a breeze, not much was explained, the representative shook our hands and walked away with the commission from the sale.

I visited the gym with my boyfriend twice, then stopped going. I moved out of town and the nearest LA Fitness was about 20 minutes away. My University's Recreation and Wellness center was closer, so I visited that gym more often. At that point, my membership was not being used, so I called to cancel about a month after I signed up. I spoke to a representative over the phone to cancel my membership, and at the end of the call, I was left with the impression that my membership was cancelled. In the meantime, I'd received a new card in the mail that was different than the card they had on file. Since I'd paid my last month's dues upfront, I believed that all was settled, and I didn't have to provide any information to them, being that my membership had been cancelled.

Fast forward three months. I get three calls within the hour asking me to update my card on file. I dismissed the first two as a mistake, and answered the third. They demanded that I update my card immediately. I told her not to waste her time, my membership was cancelled, and to take my number off of the account because I didn't authorize them to contact me by phone. She said, word for word, "I'll take your phone number off of the account when you update your card on file." I laughed, hung up, and blocked the number they were calling me on, because I'm not going to allow some scorned call center rep to get snarky with me.

Months later, we are reviewing our statements and realized that they did not cancel my membership, and took the liberty of using my boyfriend's card info to pay for both of our accounts without our permission, and while continuing to harass me with phone calls and emails. We immediately contacted LA Fitness, probably reached the same employee who literally yelled at us on the phone about the contract, and how we should have read the contract and do we have the contract in hand, yadda yadda yadda. We were just trying to get refunded, because we believed it was a mistake. Turns out, if you sign on a member and they don't pay (for whatever reason, regardless of whether they're using the account or not, or cancelled the account in my case), they'll go into the primary account holder's account and use their card to pay your membership dues.

That's right. They will take money from an entirely separate account and apply it to your membership dues if you indicate any sort of affiliation with them. They also accused me of visiting more often than I did (12 times! I only visited twice!). We had one situation where my old membership tag was on my keys, and when my boyfriend borrowed my car, he scanned that tag. They tried to pass it off as me using the membership after I indicated that I wanted my account cancelled and tried to use that to justify not offering a refund. We told them to check their cameras and look into offering vision insurance for their employees, as my boyfriend lacks distinctive female characteristics and does not go by Natalia.

They said they do not do refunds. If you call them and they say this, please use this post as a reference. They do refunds. I received a refund from LA Fitness. It is not impossible. You just have to annoy them on the phone long enough for them to do so. Which is what we did. We contacted them multiple times a day, every day, until we received our refund, (which in my book is karma for the harassing phone calls I was receiving). In retrospect, the refund we received does not even begin to cover the amount of money they took from us, but we were ready to wipe our hands clean of this grimy business and their deceptive membership tactics.

Another note, and I'm sure they'll love me for this, YOU CAN CANCEL YOUR MEMBERSHIP OVER THE PHONE! Again, it's just a matter of staying on the phone long enough. They'll do anything to upset you and have you hang up on them. But if you stay persistent, and complain long enough, and call them multiple times a day, they will cancel your memberships immediately.

So, to recap. Don't do an add on membership unless you're willing to pay for two (or more) memberships, review your statements regularly, LA Fitness can process refunds over the phone, and you can call and cancel your LA Fitness memberships over the phone as well. Almost forgot, for those of you calling LA Fitness in a similar situation, they said the only way they would refund my boyfriend is if I paid my account balance. So either way, they would still have their money. We absolutely did not accept this offer. We had LA Fitness refund our money back without me having to pay an account balance, (since it was on them to cancel my membership). So don't let them talk you into that. Hope this helps!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

I had a horrible experience at LA Fitness recently being accused of constantly leaving weights on machines, which is a complete LIE! The district manager who was working out with these liars asked for my barcode and I refused because I knew these guys he deals with are jerks! Not too long ago one of their machines malfunctioned while I was squatting 500 lbs. and I had to get from underneath the machine quickly because I could have been seriously hurt. The manager response was everybody signs a liability waiver so it's not our fault. He was effectively saying it's not their job to ensure their machine are always working properly before members use them. This is what he is saying is the LA Fitness way!

So word to the wise if you use any machines with significant weight that you use at LA Fitness I'd check it myself first before using because they really don't give a damn if you get seriously hurt or not. As a district manager you are supposed to be impartial in gym complaints, but this guy was clearly one sided because there's no way his buddies would ever lie, right? Wrong. Those guys are jerks and complete liars and there's no evidence to the contrary to say I've done this except words from liars. I will be complaining to the corporate office.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

Manager and front desk were quite unprofessional. To preface this. I had a guest from out of the country visiting and she was excited to see what a good well-kept gym experience was like. She has no state ID and only her passport. Her visit would last about 9 days since she was visiting for the week. She had been to the US before and I took her to an LA fitness once and paid the $15.00 day fee. She enjoyed her time and later the representative said if she was going to stay longer in order to not pay the $15.00 fee she can sign up for a 2 week trial.

It is now a couple months later at the gym in Sunset Place Miami. Early Monday morning ~7:40 am I request a trial membership for her. They say she can work out and fill the paperwork later. Excellent! I tell myself, and we enjoyed a good workout together. At the end of the workout they mentioned that since she has no state ID they can’t issue her a trial. Ok..., but they also didn’t charge us. Later that week we had been able to get in; I explained that she was only visiting for a week and I was not trying to sneak her inside at any point. (There are several exits and one main entrance; she always came through the main entrance).

So, the weekend comes around and they made her pay on Saturday. I was a bit confused, but ok fine I paid for her on Saturday. Which btw was taken care of quickly and right in the front the moment she walked in. Later that day the individual in the front asked me how much longer she would be staying. I said tomorrow is her last day. Since we had been going daily to the gym. He says “OK’ and moves on.

After he asked me how much longer she would be staying, both my friend and I got the impression that she could come in tomorrow morning with no extra cost. It was all verbal and nothing was written down. As I walk in I show my barcode on my keys and she is right beside me. I say something to effect of “We ok?” And he says “Ok”; again I am walking her right through the front door.

Nevertheless, about 15 minutes later during our stretches the individual and his manager come to me accusing me of sneaking her inside and that I am required to pay or there will be consequences... This is 2018, and I pay my gym dues and here these two individuals are resembling what I can only call ‘thuggery’ behaviour and I tell them I am not looking for trouble, I even apologized (although I really shouldn’t have, but reflecting back upon it was marked by fear upon myself) and that I can pay her dues.

Mind you, this is embarrassing despite the gym being fairly empty. It was still super unprofessional, and I really hope they don’t solve all their problems by confrontation. Regardless, I still need to pay her dues and as I am talking to them giving my credit info. They are completely asinine and have the audacity to explain to me that the statement yesterday was misinterpreted stating that they meant I could pay for 2 days and she can stay here a week. When none of that was actually spoken. All in all, today was my longest conversation with any LA fitness employee as they usually leave us alone and just do their required work which I’m usually appreciative for.

I’m no saint. But the manner in which they approached me... The way they handled such a minor $15.00 transaction... The simple fact that they took the moral high ground and accused me of doing ill-begotten behaviour just didn’t sit right with me. Of course, I had to pay, but all of this could have been more tactfully resolved and considering I am a paying customer they should be more polite and professional about their business. The individual in question - Erin & his supervisor is Kevin **.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

LA Fitness Columbus, OH, Polaris - I signed up for personal training under the impression I pay 160 dollars total, including monthly membership. I found out later I still owe membership fees as well. As soon as I found out I went to management, told them I couldn't afford 210 a month for gym. I wanted to cancel the contract since I was misled thinking my fee was 160 dollars. I also wanted reimbursed for the 160 dollars plus the 100 dollars I paid for training I didn't receive. I was told it was cancelled, needed to wait for phone call, they would reimburse me. I never received a phone call. Kept calling LA Fitness daily, didn't get a phone call. Management kept telling me I had to wait for this particular person to call me. He kept avoiding my calls.

This has been going on since Jan. The guy would not return my calls, but took out another 160 dollars from my account. Finally I went in. Waited over an hour. Management had him call gym, on speaker phone he told me I knew what was in the contract and I wasn't getting my money back. I would either continue my training or pay the balance on my contract. Like I would even want to train with that group now. Then he said he was the boss and there was no one else I could talk to, while the other person in the room was laughing at what was said to me.

Felt totally helpless no one would help. I called, stopped by almost daily, but no one could help me but the one person who wouldn't return calls. Don't ever sign up for personal training there. The head trainer is rude, and condescending. He will just take your money. You can forget about getting any return phone calls if you have a problem, or if you wanted to cancel training. Don't believe anything they tell you.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

I was so happy before attending LA fitness and make membership with you all, but unfortunately I got treated badly, first of all the guy who sit with us to create our membership told us we can have our money back within a week including the enrollment fees if we change our mind, second they never mentioned that the private trainers has to be different enrollment fees (they should mention that) so we changed our mind after 5 days but we been told that it’s only 3 days from the enrollment day to get our money back and now we cannot, so I think it’s rip-off business when they lie to customers and after paid almost $300 I lose it in less than a week.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

Today morning, I was at the gym and working out. I went to grab for a kettlebell to use for 5 minutes as I do commonly. The kettlebell was staying in the rack of the personal training area and nobody was using it. The trainer 'Kingsley **' has approached to me and the first thing he said was 'leave it, you cant use it', which can be okay even though it was definitely not a good way to approach a client at gym. Normal people usually starts with ‘hi’ or ‘excuse me’

Then I said I will use it for 5 min and leave it back, and I said I always do it and nobody has ever said anything, and I am not the only one who is using the kettlebells. He literally yelled at me 'MAN I SAID LEAVE IT, YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO TOUCH IT', I told him to control his voice and I said I used it before and I want to use it again if his client will not use. He shouted me again 'GET OUT OF THAT AREA, YOU ARE DISRUPTING MY TRAINING WITH MY CLIENT,' and I repeatedly warned him about keeping his voice down! Which he continued to yell at me.

I am a physician, and I am very good at controlling my temper and keep myself calm because we sometimes deal with patients who has low intellectual level or has temper problems. And we learn how to talk with them. So I did not even replied to him and went to report the issue to the manager of the gym, I do not remember his name but I talked with the Personal Trainer Director. I have been a member of LA Fitness for 3 years, and was going to Natick location for 7 months without any problem. I am trying really hard to not say anything offending regarding Kingsley **, but he definitely does not deserve to work in any gym. As a summary, I was at the gym at morning after a 16 hour night shift at hospital, and I got yelled at by a tempered staff member who knows nothing about ethics or how to talk with a person.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I have been a member of LA Fitness for 3 years and very dissatisfied with how the management treated me and how my complaint was handled. Recently the staff there in East Brunswick cut my lock and without notice discarded all of my items. I understand the policy that items will be removed but discarded without allowing me to claim my items within a day?

I spoke to the management there and they weren't polite quoting policy and were not even interested in my explanation. This has costed me over $200 in lost items. Perhaps if I didn’t claim my items then I understand discarding them but I didn’t even get an apology from your management and was there the very next day. I am at this club twice daily and the facility is overcrowded so I leave my items there so I can have a locker when I return the same day, not overnight. Perhaps a little gratitude for my loyalty means nothing to LA Fitness. Maybe because you are not interested in what one individuals means to your big business. I will be taking my business elsewhere.

LA Fitness expert review by ConsumerAffairs

LA Fitness was founded in Southern California in 1984. Today it has over 300 locations across the United States and Canada. LA Fitness offers fitness equipment, group classes and personal training.

• Group fitness: LA Fitness offers a wide variety of fitness classes at its locations, including Boot Camp, Belly Dancing, Cardio Jam, Cycle, Hip Hop, Latin Heat and more. Use the fitness class locator tool on LA Fitness’s website to locate a class near you, learn what to expect and find out what to bring.

• Personal training: Certified trainers offer free one-hour fitness assessments for new members and additional training for a fee. A trainer can help you determine your pace, set goals and track your progress over time.

• Pools: Many LA Fitness locations feature heated indoor swimming pools, which provide a great low-impact fitness option. You can take swim lessons, swim laps or do group fitness classes in the pool.

• Kids Klub: Some LA Fitness locations feature a Kids Klub childcare service. Additional fees may apply.

• League events: LA Fitness offers league and team events throughout the year at most of its locations. These include basketball leagues, racquetball tournaments and many other competitive activities for those who like team fitness.

• Best for: fitness novices, athletes and fitness buffs.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs