LA fitness

LA fitness

3.9/5 (1064 ratings)

About LA fitness

LA fitness Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LA fitness?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about LA Fitness?

Original review: June 11, 2021

Purchased a national plan. For a year and a half the gyms were closed and they only offer a 3 month freeze? Now they want me to renew?!!! And of course nobody ever answers the phone and STILL blames covid and safety with reduced staff that closes at 2pm pst. Complete **.

Original review: May 28, 2021

During the signing of the agreement I was told there is no annual contract; Later I signed they said it is a year contract and I need to pay $1600 to early buy out or $3200 to complete the cycle. Their trainers are dumb. They see videos on Youtube and ask you to do the same. I was betrayed and I request everyone be cautious with this fraud company.

Get buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 22, 2021

I've tried to cancel my membership so many times. I even went in a couple of times to get it cancelled and they haven’t and they’re still taking my money so this gym is **. The company as well straight dog **.

Original review: May 19, 2021

Saturday May 8, I joined LA Fitness, Clifton, NJ. Monday May 10th, I attended a courtesy personal training session. At the end of the session, I agreed to training program, once a week for a year. My first scheduled session was Monday May 17 at 8:00 AM, I schedule it with the salesperson and confirmed with the trainer.I arrived at the club on time, but the trainer did not show up, I called him. He was very rude. At 9:00 O’clock I met with the training manager, she was ruder than her trainer and she tried to tell me that it was my fault and this how it is going to be, if I do not show up I will lose my session but if they do not show I have to accept it and go back to the app and reschedule it.

I ask her to cancel the training sessions. Her answer was no because I signed a year contract, and I must finish it. What, What contract. I was not told about any contract, I signed membership papers similar to the one I signed when I joined the club with no contract. I signed on their computer, I was never read, or giving a chance to read anything, I was never received a copy of whatever I signed, and I was never told that I am entering into a contract, also when I asked about cancelation, I was told that I can cancel any time. Whether I have, had, or not have a contract, the trainer, sales representative, and the manager were deliberately in violation of the agreement.

I visited LA Fitness website to get a number for a customer service, and I was referred to the Clifton club, then I contacted La Fitness via email, I informed with what happened especially that I never been told that I am signing into a contract and I asked them for courtesy cancelation. May 18, I received their answer, and I was stunned with it, they informed me again that I am under a contract until 4/10/22 and I need to continue with the personal training membership assuming as is or do a buyout for $1,000. It is clear it is a scam, and I am sure I am not the only victim. Be aware.

Original review: May 10, 2021

I called last week to cancel. I was told I was cancelled. Today I see I'm charged another monthly payment of 34.09 plus annual fee of 49.00 thus overdrawing my account. I was told now they cancel only in person so I went in, but they refuse to return my funds. These company is a rip off and I filed a claim with my bank to protest these charges pending. I only had a 6 month term which should have expired. Crooks. Never again.

Original review: May 6, 2021

If I could give 0 stars I would. I paid their membership for the last 6 years. I didn't use their services for almost 2 years now and continued paying them. Needless to say that I tried cancelling but they didn't allow me to do so "because I had to go to the gym to cancel". If I'm not going to the gym, what makes them think that I have time to go personally to cancel? I stopped paying them and now I'm receiving numerous calls asking to pay, they don't want to cancel saying that I owe them 1 month because they were not able to process my payment (but I have not gone to the gym in almost 2 years, how do I owe them something).

Now they attempted to charge me again and they are going to say that now I owe them 2 months. If they were a little bit smarter they will let you cancel, because at that way whenever I'm ready to go back I would probably use them again, but after this, for sure I am not, neither my family. We will have to look for another one, whenever I'm ready to use a gym again.

Original review: April 5, 2021

We have tried several times to speak and email customer service department regarding our membership. They refuse to acknowledge our emails. This fitness center’s customer service is absolutely MIA. We will be looking elsewhere and spreading our experience. The lap pool is too warm and dirty (dead bugs), btw pool is indoors.

Original review: March 31, 2021

I met with the assistant manager Dominique to have my measurements done. I told him to cancel my next 2 sessions because I had to cover a shift for one of my nurses that week and the following was my daughter’s birthday. Then I was told that I lost my sessions because I didn’t cancel. I went to see Dominic and he lied to our faces saying we told him not to cancel and we should have called the trainer. He is rude and condescending and is trying to con me out of my money/visits!

Original review: March 26, 2021

Avoid this place. I’ve been trying to cancel my membership for over a year and they keep charging me fees. I’ve tried everything from speaking to manager (Osiris), calling, and emailing and they just give excuses and keep billing me.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2021

I moved to another city without an LA fitness nearby. I figured I could do the normal thing and cancel this online considering it is the 21st century. It is impossible to cancel online, it is impossible to cancel over the phone, it is impossible to do anything with anybody that works for this company. Do you have to print out in mail a cancellation to this company. I don't mean email I mean an actual envelope with a stamp. So jump in your DeLorean head back to the '80s and cancel your membership with this company. This is stupid, this is archaic, this is primitive. They do this to lock you in and keep billing you. This is extortion on their part. You have to take time out of your day to either go to their facility which there is not one within 150 mi radius of me or mail in a cancellation. Get with the times! Quit being so obtuse about this cancellation policy. I know you want to keep stealing money from people even when they're not nearby.

LA Fitness author review by Joey Thurman

LA Fitness was founded in Southern California in 1984. Today it has over 300 locations across the United States and Canada. LA Fitness offers fitness equipment, group classes and personal training.

• Group fitness: LA Fitness offers a wide variety of fitness classes at its locations, including Boot Camp, Belly Dancing, Cardio Jam, Cycle, Hip Hop, Latin Heat and more. Use the fitness class locator tool on LA Fitness’s website to locate a class near you, learn what to expect and find out what to bring.

• Personal training: Certified trainers offer free one-hour fitness assessments for new members and additional training for a fee. A trainer can help you determine your pace, set goals and track your progress over time.

• Pools: Many LA Fitness locations feature heated indoor swimming pools, which provide a great low-impact fitness option. You can take swim lessons, swim laps or do group fitness classes in the pool.

• Kids Klub: Some LA Fitness locations feature a Kids Klub childcare service. Additional fees may apply.

• League events: LA Fitness offers league and team events throughout the year at most of its locations. These include basketball leagues, racquetball tournaments and many other competitive activities for those who like team fitness.

by Joey Thurman Fitness and Nutrition Expert

Joey Thurman is a nationally recognized and spin certified health, fitness, nutrition expert and television host He is the author of "365 Health and Fitness Hacks That Could Save Your Life." His work has been featured in publications such as Men’s Health, U.S. News and World Report, NPR, People Magazine, Shape, NY Post, Fitness Magazine, ‪Women's Health and many more.

LA fitness Company Information