LA fitness

Compare Gyms and Fitness Centers

Research top Gyms and Fitness Centers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I like the variety of equipment in LA fitness gym and the way everything is sectioned off and grouped together. I feel like I can workout my whole entire body. It has a great payment plan and customer service is great. I feel like I can come there and get everything done.

LA Fitness has convenient locations. They're spread evenly across Long Island and it's quite amazing. Whatever town I may be stuck in, there's always an LA Fitness. It's always very clean and I love all the different types of machines and workouts they have to offer. I hope they have cheaper prices but I would go there again definitely.

I didn't like this gym very much. The people there were pretentious and lied about membership prices plus they were super pushy to clients so they can renew their contract. But it’s close to home.

Avoid this gym at all costs. They pressure you into signing a 12 month contract for personal trainer services which sounds good until you realize that you can rarely get a personal trainer at the time you want unless you want to book several months in advance or at 6am or 9pm. The gyms themselves are dirty and crowded and it's virtually impossible to get on some of the equipment. When you try to cancel your membership they make as difficult as they possibly can and continue to take money from your account even if you cancel your payments.

I signed up my husband, daughter and myself. I added my youngest daughter to my VIP list so she could try it out before I got her a membership. She finally decided to come with us about four days into our membership. We went to the front desk. The lady at the front took her full name and also had me sign a waiver. She advised me that we would receive an email with her official pass. We went in to enjoy our day. Today we went in to work out again. Taylor was at the front desk I told her that I still didn't get an email for my daughter. She said I needed to speak to one of the guys. Unfortunately they were all busy so we proceeded to use the gym facilities.

After getting on the treadmill in the ladies section. Taylor came in to harass me and my family. She said none of us were able to use the gym facilities without me signing the waiver. At that point I explained to her again that I already signed a waiver for my daughter and gave her details but I didn't get the email for her pass. She took my email and said she would take care of it and there was no need for me to worry. I told her if there was an issue to come back to see me. Instead of her coming back she had Korosh call me on my cell phone to harass me some more.

Korosh was rude, disrespectful and unprofessional. Shouting at me on the phone stating I needed to come down right now to see him cause I didn't have a membership for my daughter. He went on to tell me he needed my daughter's driver's license. I explained to him my daughter was only 14 and didn't have a driver's licenses. I told him the waiver was already signed and I gave all her details. He was rude and told me if I don't have a driver's licenses he would need her health card. I didn't bring my purse to the gym so I explained I didn't have a health card either. At this point I felt very uncomfortable and disrespected to say the least. So I went downstairs to speak to the guy.

Korosh was with a client and I told him "I'm here. You felt the need to interrupt me while I was working out cause it was urgent. Let's speak right now" cause this entire experience occurred due to their lack of professionalism and substandard efficiency. He was even more rude and said I needed to stand at the side to speak to him after he was harassing me. After speaking to the girl at the front I found out... The first person I spoke to didn't input my daughter into the system. They also have no way to confirm if a waiver is in the system. I also found out that some of them do not understand their own internal systems and procedures. We spoke to one of the staff that advised us he could activate my daughter's guest pass as of today. Such a insult after embarrassing me and my family in front of everyone in the ladies section.

I closed my account the exact same day. My daughters were very disappointed cause the facilities were perfect for our needs and convenient for our schedule. However, the lack of adequate professionalism and basic respect is something I demand in all interactions. To boot I requested to be booked on the general manager Garry schedules to discuss the matter in more details only to find out he only works from 10-2pm every day. He also has no email address available to forward any complains. I am unsure how anyone can get any issue rectified with hours like that, especially training your young staff. Now I have to wait 2 whole weeks for my full refund. I hope it actually comes. Based on my experience I doubt it!! DO NOT GO TO LA FITNESS!! Looks good from the outside but they will have you feeling like crap.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LA Fitness?

When I was a member of LA Fitness eight years ago, the location was convenient as it was right next to my office and it was always open. I enjoyed the cleanliness of the locker rooms. Plus, the showers and gym area was wonderful. However, the layout of some of the machines was awkward.

When I first joined the gym, they were quick to take my almost $3000 for the membership. When I joined I informed them about my back issues. They were like no problem we will help you. Of course that's just to get people to sign up. I haven't been to the gym in a couple months and when I can I asked if someone could show me how to use the machines that won't injure my back. Well they were not helpful to say the least.

Their attitude was like "If we show you how to use the machine and you injure yourself". "Well isn't the point of you assisting me with the machine is so that I use it properly and nor cause injury to myself." They outright refused to assist me. I felt pressured get a personal trainer which is what they were pushing for. I shouldn't have to Pay an extra thousand dollars for a personal trainer just to show me how to use the machines. I think it's poor customer service and poor management. I came here super excite to get healthy and get help. Not so.

I called to cancel. They told me I have to do it in person. I did not have time to come in that month and forgot about it. I got charged again. I called again to cancel and told them I don't have time to drive in just to cancel, so please cancel me. They refused to cancel me. They offered to send an email with the cancellation form. I said, "Ok."

They did not send a cancellation form. They sent me a link to sign up for the online account so I could print my cancellation form. I signed up. Then I was locked out because recently my credit card was lost/stolen. And because they were not able to charge that card, I got a $10 fee added to my charges (even though, if someone would listen to me, I no longer want to continue to go to the gym)!

I needed to update my billing info so they could charge me again before I could cancel. Nope. Not gonna happen. LA Fitness will not get any of my credit card or banking info ever again. I received numerous phone calls from California the very next day. I called them back and explained my situation. They gave me an email to use to cancel. I wrote an email asking to cancel. They replied with "To protect the privacy of our customers..." that I must cancel online or in person at the gym. Well, well, well, didn't I just get sent around the world and back to arrive back at where I was originally. Nice work LA Fitness.

It's a shame that businesses like LA Fitness have to resort to taking advantage of their consumers instead of just running an honest business. Why do they use this process for cancellations? In hopes that you forget and get charged again. Or in hopes that you don't send the form in time and you get charged again. It's amazing. I never thought a gym would try to hold me hostage financially. But that's exactly what they do.

Truth is, all they have to do to cancel is press a button. But they refuse to even if you ask them to do so several times. I look forward to the 3 phone calls a day now from a company who sells a product that I no longer use, will never use again, a company who I pleaded with several times to just please cancel my membership. I will also look forward to LA Fitness tagging on the next charge plus a late charge next month because I heard from other people that that's what they'll do. My buddy asked to cancel over the phone months ago and they actually did it for him over the phone. But me? I guess I wasn't lucky like him, and now I'm in a huge battle with a gym over this cancellation.

One more funny comment. They used the phrase "to protect the privacy of its members..."??? Thanks LA Fitness for protecting my privacy, because Lord knows I wouldn't want anyone to know I'm canceling a gym membership (sarcasm). Your cancellation policies are just a scam to squeeze more money out of people, honest good people I might add.

I signed up for membership during winter time 2016. The shower was ice cold, they don't have hot water and also it is very dirty. I don't think they clean it at all.. The lockers are rested inside and not clean at all...

I have to say as a member which started in LA fitness was a gym I liked about the courts, the pool, the sauna and much more. However, the pool is not heated most of the time, The sauna is always closed. The basketball court the hoops have no nets. I was kinda shocked when I saw all of this. The gym overall is like Planet fitness without the pool and without the court. The fees is outright ridiculous. I find that they charge way overpriced. I've canceled because I felt it waste and not worth the money. I don't mind paying but for the money I rather go back to Planet fitness which I was much happier there than LA fitness. Their staff pressures you. They over charge you and mislead you and then the gym is really not worth the money. Plus planet fitness staff they're nicer people and they want to help and work with you. LA fitness all they want is your money. They really don't want to help you plus their trainers are all nasty as well.

LA Fitness is the WORST. I un-recommend this gym to anyone reading this. I'm paying for an all-access membership, which I was told from the outset gets me access into any location in the country. Went on vacation and they are charging me $5 for every out-of-state visit. NICKEL AND DIMING. I wasn't even informed about the charges - discovered them online. Customer service sucks. Manager Erica ** was unhelpful, unfriendly and unsympathetic. Their best solution is to "upgrade." Hell no, they'll be lucky if I even keep my membership after this. Not to mention there was no hot water in the women's shower for MONTHS at my home location in freezing mid-winter... And a missing hair dryer around the same time period that did not get replaced for days.

I cancelled my membership with this company and after cancelling they still charged me. When I called to speak with customer service they said that I did not cancel the membership online and I could not do it over the phone. They referred me to the adhesion contract and said that according to the contract I could not get my money back because after 3 months of being charged and not cancelling made me unable to refuse the charges. I could not get my money back and I was charged 2 extra months.

Stay away! LA Fitness is a scam! They took payment for a full one-year membership, announced that they were closing the gym and then refused to refund the remainder of my membership because there is another gym 2 miles away! Sharp and dishonest business tactics!

Barcode #s ** and ** have been members for a little over a year and a half, and been personally trained, quite well I might add, by Brian at the Hospitality Lane San Bernardino LA Fitness facility. We have always felt welcome and well cared for there and enjoyed both the original facility as well as the exemplary new facility. For that, we thank you most sincerely. Brian is an outstanding trainer that has given us so much knowledge and encouragement as well as improved our overall well-being. Someone we will not soon forget. Someone who we consider a friend. The staff was equally friendly and uplifting with their attitude as well. We will also miss them.

Unfortunately, in November we moved some 60+ miles away. Within the first week we were seeking a local gym that we could continue going to. That was all derailed in mid December, the evening of the 14th to be precise, when I was struck by a motorist performing an illegal lane change while I was on my way to work in the ER where I am a nurse. I made it to work alright, but as a patient. A broken hand that was ran over during the accident and a separated and broken collar bone, all on the right side (dominant side) has kept me out of work as well as the gym since.

Soon thereafter, amongst the chaos our lives had been thrust into, we contacted the gym to put everything on hold as ** is now in the position where she must work 7 days a week to help recover the loss of my income. I, quite understandably, have limited mobility and capabilities and most assuredly, cannot drive. I was told by the individual at the Hospitality Lane gym that it was taken care of. Alas, the approximately $280 was taken from the account which led us to overdraft fees. I received a call stating there was a problem with the payment from a gym in Round Rock Texas. Mind you, we live in Los Angeles, and the individual eventually advised I call my home gym. Both of us, bewildered, went about our prescribed tasks. Me calling the home gym and he scratching his head wondering why I was returning a call made from his gym in Texas. The same thing happened today but from Florida.

I'm admittedly, perplexed, but no matter, onward we go. After talking to the gym, we were told it was taken care of again. Can you guess what happened this month? The $280 was again drafted from our account with another message saying that there was a problem with the payment. That is the most accurate and true statement I have heard yet There was a problem with the payment on your account. On that I am in total agreement, the draft and subsequent overdraft fees should have never have happened. Again. I am finally, after speaking with Florida? (returned call), San Bernardino, and then the 949-255-7200, I am told that now I need a written note from my doctor saying I am excused from gym time, much akin to an elementary school child. (Even as distraught as I am over this, humor can be found in almost anything, thusly helping us remain civil.)

Now, my one year contract had expired and with no big ado it became a month to month agreement. Being unable to travel and ** working 7 days a week to try to make ends meet, I was told all was well only to find out today that I needed to provide 30 days written notice and a note from my doctor now. Had this been said earlier, well, a lot could have been avoided. I understand that for an employee, with the common knowledge amongst the ranks, that you sometimes assume that the customer knows these things as well. I do not believe I was intentionally not given this information. And then in later conversations, it was probably assumed that I already had this information also. It happens, I get it. However, I then proceeded with my processes of trying to put back together the other pieces of life (and broken body parts) under the false impression that it was taken care of.

As a digression, the numbers from our membership have been substituted for our names to emphasize just how much we have been made to feel like a number in this process and not as actual humans with lives and feelings and problems and triumphs that we go through. In my last phone conversation I truly felt as if I were Sisyphus with his eternal plight rolling the boulder uphill only to watch it roll back to the bottom signifying the beginning of his toils again, having any precept of progress obliterated. I further realize that customer service reached a whimpering end when trampled to death by the Dollar Sign, Automation and a general disdain for human interaction. To that end, I realized that there was no need to continue any further and to then arm myself with the greatest weapon I have ever had in my armory, my voice. Perhaps someone of import will hear and prevent this from happening in the future to someone else.

All I ever wanted was to not be charged for a service we were unable to partake of, at least until we were at a point in life where we could again. I looked forward to the day where I returned to the gym and began the arduous task of restoring my body back to its pre-accident status and then keep working on my personal fitness goals. Even now, all I ask is for the right thing to be done. I don't want reimbursed for overdraft fees to time lost or mental anguish, free or discounted gym time or any other such nonsense, just what should have been done 2 months ago. Not to have the moneys drafted from our account so we can pay our bills as we need to until this ordeal has run its course and we can get back to some semblance of normalcy. An error was made, it was compounded, we are paying the price, dearly. It may not seem like much to you, but it makes a world of difference in our lives.

To put a person to these numbers: ** = Susan, Mother of 6 wonderful and brilliant children, Registered Nurse who works in the ER as a trauma nurse and pediatric emergency nurse, preceptor and teacher to new nurses, holder of a Nursing Degree and Business degree, loves to surprise bake for coworkers, travel with her children and experience all life has to offer and seek out the beauty in life's little things. ** = Joel, Former Paramedic, Fire Fighter and US Army First Sergeant Nurse, Medic and Engineer, Civilian ER Nurse, Vocal Actor, loves enjoying nature with Susan and her children, woodworking and riding his motorcycle with Susan who has taught him how to first love himself, then love others and life to the fullest. With this I close and shall withhold my reviews from social media until a response is heard.

While I was working out a the Richfield, MN location Monday, March 20, an employee identifying himself as a VP told me to leave an area newly restricted for trainers and their clients. I refused, telling him I was promised from day one that I would have access to this area to do stability exercises, the only reason I joined the gym. I'm 66 and have poor balance, so I need this area to workout in, as it is out of the traffic flow and has the necessary equipment. He got up in my face and told me to get out.

When I still refused, he grabbed me. I shouted loudly for him to get his hand off me, to make sure others saw what he was doing. He did release me, but then began placing his body within inches of mine to restrict my movements, making me even more unsteady. When was done, and went to the treadmill, the police showed up. It seems he told them I was not a member and was trespassing. Later that evening, I saw that he had indeed canceled my membership, but several hours after the encounter with the police.

I called to get a refund cause I cancelled my membership in January. They didn't attempt to take money for February, no. In March they nailed for 40 dollar. When I am attempted to get a refund they call the cops.

Workers are not informed of anything that's going on in the location. If you have or ask a question they will tell you: "I don't know!" They need better training in customer service and class instructors either are late or don't show up. Communication is not something that's important to them. Very dissatisfied!!!

I should've first read the horrible online reviews, I know. Cancellation was ridiculous -- they make it very hard, intentionally. Autopay on credit card goes on and on. Your first month was prepaid, which you'll probably also forget. Essentially, you have a two month delay at the end, at best. Call corporate if you have problems. Don't them blow you off. We moved to a town with no clubs within an hour away and were able to finally get the deposit and recent charge returned. They called it a "two month refund," but it's not -- it's your own money you get back that you paid upon signing.

Anyway, hate their ripoff customer business practices. I went for yoga mostly, and treadmill. Yoga class was LOUD -- near bike class and basketball. Just a bad experience start to finish. Avoid if you have another choice, or READ YOUR CONTRACT, keeping it when you want out. Their verbal promises are totally meaningless. Read the written contract, follow it, go to classes if you like, but don't think for a moment you'll be treated fairly.

In 2012, I visited and toured a gym in New Brighton, MN and was not sure if I wanted to sign up after the tour. The salesperson called me for weeks and I gave in, all he needed was my CC# since I had left me details. A contract was filled in and signed (faked and used my initials), an email address I have never seen (saw the contract for the first time 3/2017). I was a member for 4 yrs till I lost my job. On 3/9/2017 I visited the location in West St Paul, MN intending to resume membership, I was told I owe $98. I last visited the gym in 4/2016 when I stopped paying. I notified the billing dept when they called.

The Ops Manager at the Inver Grove location (Mr **) was rude to me. I told him I never signed a contract, he produced the contract with my initials doctored and fake email address. I told him I had never seen this, nor had anyone explained the need to have written cancellation until today (3/2017). This enabled them to continue billing 3 more months after I had told the billing department on the phone that I had no income and could no longer afford the gym. When I called corporate I was told that they "continued my membership for 3 more months waiting for updated billing information". How is that possible that they would want to bill me for May/June and July 2016 after I had told them in April of 2016 that I would not be able to afford the membership and stopped using the facilities.

Apparently, they were more optimistic about my future financially than I was. Mr ** at the West St Paul location has no business representing a company in that manner, he was rude and hostile hoping to escalate our discussion, I remained calm and polite. I explained to him that I was holding LA Fitness to the same ethical standard I have of not using the facilities when I could not afford them and was unable to pay, likewise they need to reverse the 3 months of billing.

Several days ago the manager at the DADE COUNTY SOUTH LA FITNESS branch I attend switched three of the TV channels so they would always play Fox News. Several of us were very upset by this due to racist, hate speech made and/or tolerated by certain Fox News contributors. One lady asked the manager to change the station and he refused. She told us that she also wrote to corporate headquarters about it and they didn't ever bother to reply. Everyone is entitled to their own political opinions but a gym should be a neutral place. That is not the case at LA Fitness. I am canceling my membership.

I recently joined LA Fitness last November, when speaking to a consultant I let them know that I was a full-time student looking for the cheapest option of payment. They charged me $200 in initiation fees and let me know that I was paying $39.99 because I joined along a friend. I later found out that I was paying $70 a month. This is ridiculous! They didn't let me know till after I called to complain and paid the first 2 months.

I've been trying to contact a consultant since January because a relative had just joined LA and was paying 25.99 a month for only one location which is exactly what I was doing but was paying too much more. I've been trying to contact someone at the Aurora LA Fitness for 1 months and they always say that no consultants are available and that they will call me back but NOBODY EVER DID. THIS IS HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE AND TOTAL DISRESPECT!!! When going to the gym and speaking to a lady about this issue she said that the promotion was over and that she couldn't do anything about it even though I've been calling for a long time and had proof with a picture that I saw the promotion.

Tonight I just got off the phone with an employee from the Aurora LA Fitness and he said I had to cancel my membership and charge me once again for the initiation fee to get the $25.99 a month. I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW SOMEONE CAN TAKE ADVANTAGE OF OTHERS. We are the ones keeping them in business and they treat their customers like this. I do not recommend this gym unless you wanna get taking advantage of.

I recently moved from Michigan to California and joined LA Fitness as an additional member on my daughter's account in Fountain Valley. She had $2000 worth of personal training that was not being used and the personal training manager graciously allowed me utilize some of her remaining sessions. The new LA Fitness was being constructed and the manager of the personal trainers was very involved with the interest of my training and encouraged me to transfer to the new Huntington Beach location and continue to train. The Huntington Beach location opened and the sessions were coming to an end. I purchased an additional $3000 in personal training. After a couple of months I was not getting the results I was I asking for. I had conversations with my personal trainer with regards to this and nothing came about a change in regime.

I did not plan to cancelled my membership, but have not been to LA Fitness since Nov. of 2016. I also have not scheduled a personal training session since Aug/Sept of 2016. I was not getting what I needed from the personal training. I was asking for a refund of my personal training sessions and nothing more. Having worked within the fitness industry and customer service for several years I did not I was asking for the impossible. I do feel that Clay, the district Vice President could have done more considering the amount of money my daughter and I have invested in his company.

LA Fitness has done a disservice to me and my daughter. My daughter and I are service members working with the Coast Guard sector. We have been faithful LA Fitness members and had recently moved to California excited to meet new people who enjoyed the healthy lifestyle here in Orange County. I have now been removed from my daughter's account and cancelled my LA Fitness membership. I am very disappointed with the LA Fitness Corporation and they the way they handle customer support.

I have moved to another state and there are no LA Fitness in 50 miles radius (thank god!!!) Even based on their shady contract they must cancel the service. First of all during numerous calls, they never told me that I need to provide proof of relocation, until claim department of my bank got someone from LAF on the phone then they told me what and where I should send the documents. Even After they received the documents, still they are charging me on monthly basis. Location in Pittsburgh, PA. Worst experience ever!!

My 1st visit to LA Fitness, Main St. Bridgeport CT today w/ a friend. I notice the girl at front desk was chatting on cell phone for about 5 minutes before coming to help. She was unfriendly, no personality. Finally had to sit down to fill out a questionnaire -- no problem. I gave age, name, but the question of my marital status I thought was irrelevant & had nothing to do with me working out. The rep said I had to answer that or be charged $15.00. That is ridiculous!!! I refused and left. I would never join or use for free LA Fitness because of the unfriendliness of front desk personnel & the unnecessary personal questions.

I will highly recommend for you not to go here. If you deal with Cyrus or Scott they will be very nice to your face until you sign the dotted line. It is the worst gym by far, it's very corporate, equipment sucks. This gym was taking money out of my account for 11 months without me knowing. When I confronted them about it they said they can't help me. When I called head office they said they'll only give me 3 months out of the 11 months owing. How is that right. Then the manager Scott said he would give me my 8 months plus 3 for reimbursement, I agreed to this. After 3 months they said I had to leave because my membership was up. They lie to your face. I could not believe it. It was very disappointing.

When I first went to this gym in Long Beach, I thought the facility looked nice, had a variety of equipment, and some friendly staff. My friend had also recommend this particular gym to me based on her initial experience with the staff. I was hesitant to join since I had heard from others that gym's had poor customer service, outdated/poorly maintained equipment, poor sanity conditions, along with other issues. I was also warned that the sales reps are pushy and misleading as to the services offered & contract conditions. The employees/trainers are aloof and treat you indifferently with scripted responses to every problem. I came to find out that all of those things were true.

When I went to join, the sales rep pushed for me to sign up for a trainer for a whole year. I told him my goals and how I would be able to afford only the 6 month two times a week. He kept pushing for me to sign up for the full year and I kept repeating why I could not afford it and I was not that interested in a trainer. He then offered me 12 additional "classes" as part of a Business promotion, and I agreed to the 6 month trainers contract with the idea that I had a few more sessions to add to the ones I purchased. What he failed to mention was that I would be signed up for only two days a week with the trainer and these additional classes would have to be squeezed in at the discretion of the trainer and would expire if not used before the end of 6 month contract.

I found this out after my first trainer. He was actually a nice guy and for the first month I was ok with my purchase. He helped to show me some of the basics of the equipment and good routines. The third month went by and he kept introducing me to different routines and machines and I was starting to wonder why we were not keeping to a regular routine until I asked him and he said that he wanted me to have a feel for all the types of equipment and exercises that could be done at that gym. I was also beginning to become frustrated with my trainer by this time. He began to arrive late to my 30 minute session and on multiple occasions he would leave me to finish the routine 5-10 minutes early to "prepare" for the next client.

At this point I was ticked off and asked to use my additional classes. The trainer was not able to make room in his schedule and offered to have another trainer meet with me on a different day so I could use the additional sessions. This next trainer was far more blunt and less accommodating with my schedule and was hard to reach because he would not respond to text or phone calls and I would have to call the gym to reach him. This went on for a short while and at the end of it all I had not reached my goal and all of my "free" Sessions were not used and even two of my normal session were never used because of scheduling conflicts with the trainer and other clients. I asked to use the session, but it was at this time that the rep told me that I had to have used them while I was still under trainers contract.

I voiced how upset I was by this and got a scripted response from the rep about how this was laid out in the contract and that if I wanted to I could sign up for another 6 months and he would honor the original deal. I told him I would not be using this service again and could not afford to pay another 6 months. He then says that if I sign up for one month of lessons I could keep the sessions. I said no thanks and got up and left.

Looking back I wish I had closed my account then and there. I noticed that the sales rep & trainers didn't greet me as they had when I was paying for the training sessions, I immediately thought. I continued to use this gym with a bit of a sour taste in my mouth, but my friends continued to train with me & this facility was close to my house. My friend who had recommended this gym was offered a job in Sacramento and wanted to keep her membership and the trainer program. She was told she would not be able to use her session up north so she used them up before she left.

At this point me and a friend kept going to the gym, but we began to noticed that some of the popular cardio equipment with monitors did not work consistently and would regularly be under maintenance. When some of the big equipment broke down it would take almost a month before it was repaired. We also noticed how the locker rooms weren't always cleaned regularly. Over two days I saw the same shower cap and band-aid in a shower stall.

When I finally chose to leave this gym I called in to cancel my membership a few days before they charged me for the next month. They told me that the only way I could close my account was to meet with a rep. When I asked to speak to the rep and if there was any way to close my account. I was brushed off and told I just need to come in and meet with them and they worked from 9-6 Monday through Friday. I told them I was not able to meet during those hours as they are when I work and if I could leave them a message. They repeated their scripted response and I realized I was getting nowhere with this person.

The next day I got off early. I went in to speak with the rep. I asked to close my account and explained how I had tried to do this earlier in the month. The rep said that they would close the account but I would still be charged for the month since they had not received a cancellation form in the mail or email. Apparently I could have mailed or emailed them a form to cancel the account but their staff couldn't or wouldn't let me know this over the phone and when I asked her about it she simply asked me who told me that and left it at that.

While the rep was courteous, she kept repeating that she could not reimburse me for the month and when I pressed her to look at my account more closely kept moving from computer to computer saying that she could not bring up my account since their computers were freezing, all the while they are scanning members key cards as if there is no problem. I don't plan to go back to that gym and hope others don't fall prey to this company.

I have been charge for an account should be canceled few month ago and they said is my fault because I didn't fill up a paper that they never tell me I have to. So I don't have any solution except to pay for something I didn't use it? Beside customer service on the phone and the manager of Somerdale location in NJ have been so rude!!! Worst experience ever!!

I had the WORST EXPERIENCE EVER. PERSONNEL DOES NOT CARE ABOUT CUSTOMER SERVICE AND CLIENT SATISFACTION. I joined LA Fitness as a new years resolution on Sunday, January 1st. On the 2nd (considered this year as a federal holiday) I engaged in the personal trainer program. As part of the agreement, the person that assisted me said that I was paying for 2 to 3 sessions a week and also that as a courtesy the first session washing to be longer in order for me to meet the personal trainer and get used to the routine. I was also told that the sessions where going to last from 35 to 40 min. I went the first day, and everything was fine. The session lasted 50 min so I did have enough time to exercise. What I wasn't told was that they were going to use two of my sessions for the first day, neither I was told that I was paying for 25 mins session.

They scheduled my second class for Wednesday, I told them that I needed to be called to be reminded of the sessions since I wasn't used to the routine; they called right after the schedule session was over and added the session as worked and discounted it from the sessions left. Nonetheless, I schedule for Thursday and the personal trainer couldn't go. First he told me because he had to left his girlfriend at work he was going to go 30 min late and even though I agreed he never showed up and said his car was broken... Really?! We reschedule for next day Friday, and he didn't show up, he said that he forgot to put the alarm clock on time... What type of UNPROFESSIONALISM is this. I certainly got mad and asked for my contract which they barely make you look at and they don't give you a copy once you signed and they said that I had to come back from 9am to 5pm, it was unbelievable.

I did went back to look for my contract very UPSET to one close to where I work, and asked for help to get me out of this contract since this wasn't I agreed to pay for, and instead of helping they were acting like piranhas talking bad about the LA Fitness where I signed and getting all the credits, how could an ethical business possibly do that?! WORST SERVICE EVER...!!! I wanted to get out of the contract badly and by the time they finally realized it, the person said "I'm sorry. Yesterday was the last day you had to claim a full refund. Now you have to pay besides that a 50% of your plan non-used." I did got pretty UPSET due to his LACK OF DESIRE TO HELP and got even MADDER when I asked for a corporate number. They gave me the first number they came out with that didn't even work.

When I read the contract it said if I wanted to ask for the full refund I needed to claim the funds within 3 days after the contract being set up clearly stating excluding weekends and holidays, so basically I thought it was my lucky day, since I got into the contract on a Sunday, which they don't count as a work day. Monday was classified as a Federal Holiday this year leaving Tuesday as the first day of my contract and three days after would have been Friday which it was the day I asked for the cancellation. I felt on my rights to asked for the refund so I called the headquarter at a phone number I found in Google, since apparently no one that works for LA Fitness knows the phone number, DISAPPOINTING, and when I explained them the situation they said that Thursday was the last day and that they couldn't make an exception "keeping in mind that I WAS CANCELLING IT DUE TO THE HORRIBLE SERVICE I EXPERIENCED''.

They said that in order to do so I had to contact the person that subscribed me that they were going to place me in a brief hold... BRIEF HOLD THAT LASTED 3 HOURS AND ENDED BECAUSE I HUNG UP THE PHONE...!!! I called the person I was supposed to talk to and he picked up the phone within 5 mins which make me believe that all the time they just wanted to have me on hold to get me tired of waiting... WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER...!!! When I talked to the person I was supposed to in order to help me claiming my funds instead he was offering me other personal trainers and insinuated that if the problem was that I couldn't afford the payments... ARE THESE PEOPLE SERIOUS?!?! It made me think if I speak well English and Spanish, for an instance I THOUGHT I WAS TALKING MANDARIN.

I sent an email to the director of that one with my cancellation form that I found online, because NO ONE HELPS YOU OR GUIDES YOU TO GET OUT. I sent him my complaint and the full picture and he replied that he was going to give me a call on Monday, January 9th, 2017 and as of today Monday 23rd still haven't received his call. DISAPPOINTING...!!! I did send my cancellation also to the address listed on the contract with my complaint on that Saturday and they replied back that my cancellation was process that still they were going to charge me for the rest of the contract. That I didn't provide specific supporting and verifiable documents and that was cancelled voluntarily therefore they were going to charge me 50% of the current remaining balance owed... ARE THEY INSANE?!

Im not cancelling it because I can't afford it, or because I quit going to the gym the first week, I cancelled it because of a breach of contract, since I didn't receive the first week what I was told I was going to receive which they were my 2 to 3 sessions, because of the lie that each session was supposed to last 40 min and in fact it was only 25 min, because of the lack of respect the personnel have for clients and the lack of professionalism... I cancelled it because I feel offended with the way they treated me and they still do. It's unforgivable what happened and the way they are still handling it...!!! WORST GYM EVER. DO NOT EVER EVER ENGAGE IN ANY CONTRACT WITH LA FITNESS, AVOID A HEADACHE AND ABUSE!!!

This place is disgusting. The locker room has more sand and dirt on the floor than the beach. There are dust balls everywhere. The garbage is always overflowing and the walls in the shower are growing mold. Some agency should do something about this. Each time a member complains they state the manager is not in but they will let he or she know. Terrible disease ridden place.

My story - I am from Long Island N.Y. and they did not properly close an account I signed for and every time I thought it was closed, they said it would be taken care of but failed to give me a receipt. 13 months later I'm trying to get my money returned. They insult me by saying why didn't I get a receipt. That's my fault. Since I didn't get one that I'm the stupid one. Without piece of paper no proof. They tell me I have no case against them again I am the Stupid one, I've been putting up with them for these months trying to get reimbursement for 13 months of auto billing. I was not aware I was being billed because I thought they closed the account 13 months earlier. And I am the stupid one.

They got paid almost 600 dollars for services not rendered and for account I thought I closed 2 minutes after It was opened. And because I didn't get receipt I am the stupid one. Not to mention being told by four account specialist they would forward my complaint to VP. I was told they would get back to me. Never did. And finally today told me I was told I'm getting nothing back because I signed their contract and it was my responsibility to ensure a copy of cancelation be obtained from them. Just sharing my pain.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

LA Fitness was founded in Southern California in 1984. Today it has over 300 locations across the United States and Canada. LA Fitness offers fitness equipment, group classes and personal training.

• Group fitness: LA Fitness offers a wide variety of fitness classes at its locations, including Boot Camp, Belly Dancing, Cardio Jam, Cycle, Hip Hop, Latin Heat and more. Use the fitness class locator tool on LA Fitness’s website to locate a class near you, learn what to expect and find out what to bring.
  • Personal training: Certified trainers offer free one-hour fitness assessments for new members and additional training for a fee. A trainer can help you determine your pace, set goals and track your progress over time.
  • Pools: Many LA Fitness locations feature heated indoor swimming pools, which provide a great low-impact fitness option. You can take swim lessons, swim laps or do group fitness classes in the pool.
  • Kids Klub: Some LA Fitness locations feature a Kids Klub childcare service. Additional fees may apply.
  • League events: LA Fitness offers league and team events throughout the year at most of its locations. These include basketball leagues, racquetball tournaments and many other competitive activities for those who like team fitness.
  • Best for fitness novices, athletes and fitness buffs.

Compare Gyms and Fitness Centers