Lose weight for good. How much can you lose?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

LA fitness
1.11/5

LA fitness

LA fitness Reviews

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

Hey guys, I am a innocent who is stuck with this LA fitness. Did you hear "stuck". I didn't know a gym can cause me so much trouble. No one clarifies what are the deductibles and when you get paid, you can't ask back. They tell you cock and bull stories. So I needed to cancel my membership so I paid that month fee and cancelled the membership but you know what I got charged again and they expect to pay late fees and when you argue they tell you signed it. So please be aware of this scam. This is not signature club. It's a scammers' club making some random money. Customer satisfaction at the end of the day is 0%.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

LA fitness will not refund your money back, even if it's 1 day late past the 3 days and unfortunately, because of a newly diagnosed medical condition, I am unable to attend the gym at this time. They have no remorse and make no exceptions!

Get expert buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

LA Fitness and their shady membership policies. Be Aware…I had “Family membership” at LA Fitness, and in August of 2019 I cancelled the ($94.38) “Family membership.” First I logged in to my LA Fitness online “Family membership” account and cancelled it and then I took the extra step of mailing in the cancellation form. Three months later I noticed the ($43.39) LA Fitness charge on my banking statement. Called LA Fitness and they stated that I had successfully cancelled my membership but not my son’s membership. Wow, my “Family membership” automatically become an individual membership, without any notification or correspondence from LA Fitness. Be aware…!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

I have been a member of LA Fitness for several years. I go to the "680 Hacienda Dr, Vista, CA 92081" phone number "(760) 732-0072". I occasionally go with my roommate, named Madelyn (also an LA Fitness member), Madelyn is not as experienced in the gym as I am and I therefore point out or model how to correctly do the movements when I feel she may be doing them incorrectly. However, I want to make it very clear that we are working out TOGETHER; I complete a full exercise and then she completes and exercise. I am not a personal trainer, I am not certified as a personal trainer, and I do not make ANY income as a personal trainer. I am merely helping my friend DURING our joint workout together to ensure that she does not injure herself.

According to the LA Fitness membership agreement, outside persons who are unaffiliated with LA Fitness are not allowed to conduct personal training inside of their facilities. This is understood, and after speaking with several managers at LA Fitness I have been told that I am NOT in the wrong to workout WITH my friend and to assist DURING the workout if we are BOTH working out together. However, an employee at the "680 Hacienda Dr, Vista, CA 92081" location name "**" (the director of personal training) has continued to harass me stating that I am not allowed to "instruct" persons on how to properly conduct their exercise movements, even though Madelyn is my roommate and friend and we merely go to the gym together because we are FRIENDS, not based off my ability to train her or be a personal trainer, which I am NOT.

I decided to make a BBB claim after the employee ** approached Madelyn and myself on 11/9/19 threatening me that my membership was going to be revoked as of today, 11/9/19. However, immediately afterwards I spoke with the VP "Josh" who was present at the location, who stated my membership was not going to be revoked and "not to worry". As I have now been told by other managers there as well as the VP of the location "Josh" that my workouts with my friends are not violating the contract, I believe that this is now harassment since ** continues to approach me in the gym.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

I can see why this gym has a rating of 1 Star. I recently went to an LA fitness on 22nd street in St Pete. I was minding my own business when Tyler a personal trainer told me I would have to move. I explained that I was there first and would be done in three minutes. He then got another manager clearly his friend or girlfriend and another clearly steroid using male, I’m not even sure he was an employee. Eventually someone hit me below the eye with a rope from behind (coward). Long story short I am a 52 year old male just trying to get in shape. If you want to be bullied, intimidated and assaulted this is the place for you. Stay away!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LA Fitness?

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

Was charged an extra $90 for an annual fee and last month's fee two days AFTER I had already cancelled my membership. I only had the membership for two months, and I had already paid both of these fees but they charged me twice anyway. I did get a refund but this company is shady and terrible and their facilities are gross.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

I have very mixed reviews about the personal training experience at LA Fitness. To be fair, it was OK. However, it did not "balance out". It was not worth the money spent each month and if you get a good trainer, you are lucky. If not, it was horrible. I was in both camps during my time with this. In my informed opinion, the rest of the trainers appear like jerks, acting like they are the most in shape person in the world and the everyday guy working out is not worth his time. It's not for the middle of the road guy who wants to work out to look better and get healthier. Save your money. ($300 a month in a locked in year contract.) You can do it on your own at your own pace.

I got pressured into signing a membership to personal training and once I got on the hook, it doesn't really matter how I felt or even if I showed up at all. They didn't care. They got their money! Getting a time to work out with the trainer was very difficult too. If it's booked, you are out of luck. I became insignificant to them. Save your Money! It's not worth it!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

I've been a member for quite some time now but just recently started the cycle class. I was taking **'s class 2-3 times a week for the last couple of weeks. Up until last night I felt like I was improving and keeping up with the rest of the class until ** asked me to switch seats (front row) with one of his "fast runners" in his words! I said "if I don't then what," he said "then the class won't start". I felt this was so unprofessional on his behalf. He is supposed to be a motivator, he's supposed to pick you up and encourage you, not make you feel like you're less than. I was so disgusted, I couldn't even finish the class, I had to walk out and I will never take any of his classes again. Final words...beware of the clique that he has formed!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

We signed up for the "Silver Sneakers" fitness program through my Medicare Supplement insurance. It was one of the benefits offered by the insurance carrier. We visited a few of the different fitness centers in our area that accepted the "Silver Sneakers" program. Each fitness center has a certain program that is usually a free and also some other items that are extra if you so choose to use them. That is understandable for certain items. I have no problem if a fitness club has those type "extra" benefits offered to their club members. I know Planet Fitness has a Black Card membership that gives you massages, etc for an extra monthly fee. Some franchise clubs were nice but the LA Fitness had an indoor pool and that was something I was looking for.

The first go around with the Customer Service Rep/ Trainer was okay. They walked us around and showed us the different areas and pointed out the different machine areas- legs, shoulders, arms, etc.. We said we would talk about what club to sign up for and call them back if we wanted to sign up for an LA Fitness membership. I asked him for a business card and he said they do not have any business cards. "You can look online for our phone number".

We (my wife and I) decided to join the LA Fitness club. The indoor pool was the biggest plus for her. We knew when the Customer Service Rep/ Trainer was going to be in the next day since he told us the hours the day before. We walked in and sat down at one of the 6-8 desks with him to sign up on the computer. THEN he goes over to the wall and gets out more papers and talks about using a Trainer for workout sessions. Some crazy priced workout plans that were about $45-55 for a 25 minute session. AND they were more expensive if you did not sign up for a 6 or 12 month plan. There were 1, 2, and 3 days a week "Trainer Programs" to sign up for. No way. "We are on a limited budget," we said. Then he said "what if I can get the price down a lot?"

He went to get his "sales manager" and he came back and sort of berated us for not getting these "Trainer Programs" and how we could end up getting injured by not doing the machines properly. We signed a "hold harmless clause" paper on the computer 5 minutes earlier. He went on and on about the huge benefits of having a Personal Trainer, yadda, yadda, yadda. It was also a "use them or lose them" type sessions. If you did not use them up in whatever plan you picked you could not get any money back nor use them into the next group of personal training lessons. No thanks.

The next thing that was irritating was when we actually came in for the first time after we signed up. We thought perhaps the trainers would actually show us the machines since we were members. You could not get them to come out from behind their sales desks. They walked to the edge of the workout floors and pointed to the different machines as to what they were. Like they were glued to their desks and the front non carpeted area. Almost like they are forbidden to actually show you what machines are for, and what differences there are in each machine.

Different manufacturers' machines that work the same muscle group sometimes operate with different rotation points and different types of grips. When we were doing the tour the Customer Service Reps always were talking AT you not to you. Even when they were sitting at their desks all they wanted to do was watch who was on the workout floor or walking past the front sign in desk. Looking past your face and who was there at the club or coming in.

This place (LA Fitness) feels and operates nothing like the advertisements and brochures seem to show. They seem to only care about is selling "Personal Trainer Sessions". If you need any help with knowing how to use a machine all they say is "the instructions are on the machine". Yet if you are a new member all they want to do is sell, sell, sell, and push their personal trainer sessions. I thought those days were long gone from the "high pressure sales tactics" of the old gyms and all the different types of yearly gym memberships those places tried to push on their members. We will be joining another "Silver Sneakers" gym shortly.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

I would like to make seniors aware that LA Fitness has an unscrupulous, undocumented policy concerning prepaid memberships that are switched over to Silver Sneakers. My husband's membership was prepaid when he turned 65 and got a Medicare supplement with Silver Sneakers coverage. LA Fitness gladly switched his membership over to Silver Sneakers but then refused to reimburse us on the remaining unused prepaid membership. They indicated that they were going to hold our money in case we ever decide not to have Silver Sneakers anymore.

I told LA Fitness verbally and in writing, that we have no intention of ever having a Medicare supplement without Silver Sneakers and that I wanted reimbursement now. LA Fitness has ignored my verbal and written requests. Additionally, the manager at LA Fitness became hostile towards me (totally unprofessional and definitely not customer supportive). I am now working with the Attorney General's office to resolve the matter.

LA Fitness expert review by Joey Thurman

LA Fitness was founded in Southern California in 1984. Today it has over 300 locations across the United States and Canada. LA Fitness offers fitness equipment, group classes and personal training.

• Group fitness: LA Fitness offers a wide variety of fitness classes at its locations, including Boot Camp, Belly Dancing, Cardio Jam, Cycle, Hip Hop, Latin Heat and more. Use the fitness class locator tool on LA Fitness’s website to locate a class near you, learn what to expect and find out what to bring.

• Personal training: Certified trainers offer free one-hour fitness assessments for new members and additional training for a fee. A trainer can help you determine your pace, set goals and track your progress over time.

• Pools: Many LA Fitness locations feature heated indoor swimming pools, which provide a great low-impact fitness option. You can take swim lessons, swim laps or do group fitness classes in the pool.

• Kids Klub: Some LA Fitness locations feature a Kids Klub childcare service. Additional fees may apply.

• League events: LA Fitness offers league and team events throughout the year at most of its locations. These include basketball leagues, racquetball tournaments and many other competitive activities for those who like team fitness.

• Best for: fitness novices, athletes and fitness buffs.

Profile picture of Joey Thurman
Joey Thurman Fitness and Nutrition Expert

Joey Thurman is a nationally recognized and spin certified health, fitness, nutrition expert and television host He is the author of "365 Health and Fitness Hacks That Could Save Your Life." His work has been featured in publications such as Men’s Health, U.S. News and World Report, NPR, People Magazine, Shape, NY Post, Fitness Magazine, ‪Women's Health and many more.

LA fitness Company Information