toll free
Call now for more information

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Because I have unfortunately experienced many many programs, I feel I can speak honestly about Sober College. Don't let the name fool you into thinking it is just for drugs and alcohol. They look deeper into the person and at psychological reasons they may use. The program is just amazing. I would encourage any parent with a child with depression, bipolar etc. to try this program. So often kids use drugs and alcohol because they are trying to feel better. The sober environment lets the staff see the young adult in their true state so the psychiatrist can then medicate if necessary. The therapist is just amazing, and the staff cares deeply.

It is also perfect that Sober College offers classes so it keeps the kids involved and they can transfer those classes to another college. The aftercare is excellent. Sober College was really our last resort after going to so many other therapy places. Sober College without a doubt saved my child and my family and we will be forever grateful for the love and kindness.

Sober College is an amazing treatment center for young adults. The most endearing thing about Sober College is the family-like atmosphere that permeates throughout the staff and facilities. During my time there I was able to reinvent myself spiritually, physically, mentally, and emotionally. This is due to the various activities and therapy sessions that promoted a new way of thinking. I also learned the life skills I needed to be a functional adult and it was an easy transition back into the real world after my time there was done. I would recommend it to anyone.

Upon entering Sober College, I honestly did not know what I was going to get out of it. I came in on Christmas Eve of 2011, I was kicked out of high school, I had completely ruined relationships with all of my friends and family, and I knew I needed to find a new way of living my life. Sober College offered me that and so much more. While at Sober College I completed high school, maintained sobriety, and went on to graduate college and played Division I baseball for four years. I have stayed sober since the day I set foot in Sober College, and I wouldn't be where I am without the unbelievable staff and program that they offered me.

I was 22 and I couldn't stop drinking. I knew I had a problem, but I couldn't figure out how to stop on my own. In 2014, I was arrested for a DUI. Though this was unfortunate, it was a blessing in disguise. I came to Sober College in June 2014 and I've been sober ever since. Sober College helped me stop drinking while I was also able to continue taking college classes. I finished the rest of my general ed. classes at Pierce College while I was still a resident, and I was accepted into Cal State University Northridge. I am forever grateful for Sober College for giving me another opportunity to be successful. Though the program is about recovery, residents are given every opportunity to explore their passions and take on responsibility. I highly recommend Sober College if a loved one is struggling with addiction but doesn't know how to stop by themselves.

Going to Sober College was the best decision I have ever made in my life. The facility, staff, accommodations, support, structure, counseling, activities, the list goes on, is all too wonderful for words. I went there seeking a change, a change in myself, my life, my outlook on life, my behavior, my coping skills and that's exactly what I found. Sober College gave me the structure and tools to lead a great life, a life beyond my wildest dreams. Not only was I able to find recovery and relief from addiction, but I was able to find a new love and passion for my life and all of those in it. I learned how to be myself, someone who I lost a long time ago and have fun again. I will be forever grateful for my time spent there. It is a very special place to me, a home away from home, and I believe that Sober College can and will help many more young adults like myself who are seeking change.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sober College?

We gave our son a choice between a couple of rehabilitation programs and he preferred Sober College. Their care staff was very good and attentive to our son's needs and the counselors were great but we had some issues with the financial people. In combination with the other program that he went to, this made a tremendous difference to him and changed his life. People just have to be realistic about their expectations. Some patients were motivated, some were not and some were just putting in their time. And that's going to be that way at any program. There's going to be some negative and some bumps along the way.

I would highly recommend Sober College both to kids looking to escape addiction and to their parents hoping for the same. Our experience with Sober College has been excellent. In a very difficult time - mixed with feelings of anxiety, anger, concern, sadness, and many others - I found the people at Sober College to be helpful, understanding, and caring. We have found the program to be a wonderful fit for our son. I like that they encourage their residents to do things and experience life to show that there is a path without drugs or alcohol. I believe that has been very valuable to our son. During our visits to Sober College, we have felt very welcome. I found the environment to be supportive, understanding, and enthusiastic. I felt that the staff really took to heart the interests and needs of my son.

We were given the name of Sober College by someone who didn't have direct experience at SC but had heard good things about it through a colleague. The plan was for my daughter to begin attending after the new year. I was unaware just how bad things were. My daughter had a long history of struggles. Eating disorders, anxiety, depression, multiple suicide attempts, and college binge drinking. It was mid-December and I was just learning that things had now progressed to ** addiction. As Christmas approached, a crisis revealed the severity of my daughter's addiction and SC staff had things set up for her to enter as soon as she could arrive. Flights arrangements were made and staff was waiting for her arrival at LAX airport.

The staff at SC was my daughter's saving grace. It was not an easy road on anyone's part. Addiction never is. However, due to fluid communication and commitment to my daughter's care, the road was as manageable as possible. I took part in weekly phone conferences with her case manager. I was included on plans for her care and I took part in a weekend workshop onsite which was unforgettable. Not only did I learn about addiction, but my daughter and I had intense, amazing group sessions with other families which helped in our learning how to heal and move forward.

After about 9 months at SC and 2 months at a subsequent sober living facility, my daughter had a brief (2 week) relapse. She has been clean and sober ever since... over 3 1/2 years. She is the person I always knew she was meant to be and even more. Both she and I believe, without a doubt, Sober College made that possible.

Sober College and staff has been a lifeline of caring support for our son over the past year and a half. Was a miracle and tremendous blessing that we found SC in time. Sober College truly saves young lives and we are extremely grateful. Thank you to the entire staff of SC.

The SC team saved our son's life. The way support was tailored to his needs using a wide range of skills and people was just perfect. Each team member cared, developed an ongoing relationship and never gave up. We are thankful beyond words. Also really appreciated the expert handling of insurance stuff. SC team is off the chart good!

There is no greater gift than that of seeing your child overcome their addiction. This is the gift Sober College gave to us and to many of the young people my son met at this extraordinary place. He was able to glimpse and then live a life of sobriety that was filled with fun and fellowship, education and socialization. In short the amazing staff and administration of Sober College saved my son's life.

We came to Sober College terrified for our son and close to despair. Nobody is ever "cured" of SUD but Sober College has given him the tools to stay healthy and have a meaningful and happy life. Since coming to Sober College he has gotten his GED and started college, held down a job for more than nine months, and regained some of his confidence and sense of self-determination. It is a uniquely joyful and caring environment and my son plans to remain of the SC community as a healthy and happy alumnus. I can't recommend the program highly enough. I only wish all struggling transitional aged youth could have access to this program.

Sober College has saved my son's life and given him the community, connections, and tools to not only survive, but thrive. Cannot say enough good about this wonderful program and the caring people.

Excellent program, caring staff and therapists, quality standards. Our son completed 11 months here in 2 separate sessions. He had a relapse in between (3 months, back on **) and the staff worked with us to get him back in the program. He just celebrated 1 year sober and is fully committed to his 12 step program. He is working at a treatment center and is sponsoring guys in AA. He stays in touch with the team at Sober College and is grateful for their role in his recovery. The staff and directors really cared about our son and I can't thank them enough for their determination in helping him find his way out of addiction. I have never felt so positive and encouraged about his future.

Finally...a facility that is truly helping our son find happiness in a sober living lifestyle while teaching him how to deal with the disease of addiction. Sober College, and its entire staff are there to guide him and provide both strength and encouragement each day.

The shock to learn that our son was approaching the abyss of his addiction to alcohol with a dabbling of other drugs, 10 months ago, we did not know where to go for help. Sober College was recommended and enrolling him here has made all the difference. The staff have at the foremost of their efforts the safety and success of the clients that enter the facility. The concept of getting these young adults active (college classes, various recreational activities, to discover or develop talents), with accountability and having fun and success away from any use or abuse of substance is the key.

With the strong clinical staff for counseling, this program enabled our son to begin his recovery from day 1. And 10 months later his feet are on the ground and his head is clear and focused on life as a recovering addict and we are so grateful to have our son back. I know that not all families have the same experience and we are mindful of your journey. This was timed right and he grabbed the wisdom of the Sober College staff and has worked the program and hit the "Reset button." "Stay true" and be ever curious...life has so much to offer. We are so much at peace. Thank you S.C. for the vision that there is a better way.

My son was having great troubles and we were at the end of our rope when my wife found Sober College online. After reading about their background and mission, we felt our prayers had been answered. (And we're not overly religious people!) Sober College helped my son get through one of the most challenging times of our lives. The battle isn't over yet, but I'm much more hopeful for a positive outcome now that he's had the training and life skills he learned in their program!

My daughter's been to several rehabilitation centers and this is the first time that she did not want to leave. She told me she wasn’t ready to come home and she would then feel that she was strong enough. I was really pleased to hear that and never thought I’d see the day at that. It allowed my husband and I to move forward and work on our relationship for a change. We were always on pins and needles and waiting for a call. It allows us to decide what we want to do now that our daughter’s all grown up and finally moving into a house and moving into her own place.

The staff at Sober College always hugs each other and the parents. They made it very pleasing as far as you feeling more like a part of a family than a client. They made sure that there were plenty of pictures of my daughter. It may not mean anything to anybody, but the pictures of her smiling and doing activities that made her just have a natural blush was really great to see. I give Sober College kudos for that. It was nice seeing my daughter jump out of a plane and look excited about it. Seeing that the kids were being productive is a big thing. A lot of it was based on that Sober College is more structured like a school. It's not just about schooling, but more into other activities.

I love sober college. If you would only stop the smoking!!!! You are there to kick a habit, not start or continue one that kills.

Our family highly recommends Sober College for young people with addiction/substance use disorder. The program has all the components for a foundational path for a life of recovery. The support is excellent, the program well founded, the staff outstanding. I researched all of the programs out there and found this one to be the best offer. Our child is one year clean and sober and embracing recovery. We couldn't be more grateful.

Logan's life was changed at Sober College. He's 7 years sober now, has completed college and is working in a field he never would have tried due to Rob and all the folks at Sober College. I am forever thankful.

We worked with a therapist in the Maryland area that is a place that helps find programs for troubled kids. We ended up choosing Sober's rehabilitation program as my son wanted to be in California and it was something we were trying to find. We did some internet research and I spoke to some references that they had provided and everything seemed pretty good. Check-in went very smoothly, and then when we we went there for a family weekend everything was very positive. We met the therapy team that worked with my son and the people who supervised the housing and we're very pleased with what we learned. It's a rehabilitation-type program so there are no guarantees but my son is dealing very well in post-treatment and he bought into the program so he's working hard. Overall it's been a good experience. In fact, my husband wrote a really nice letter afterwards.

My ex-wife did some research and a place called Phoenix House recommended Sober College which had a great reputation. Their admissions team members were professional and good at responding to all my questions. My ex-wife was very pleased when she checked my kid into the place. They have excellent facility and facilitators. They also have a family weekend for new kids which was fabulous. They did a fantastic job of explaining the program, their philosophy, and what they want to do. They tie in educations not all about sobriety, like spiritual well-being which was a nice way of putting together more clinical condition aspects of sobriety. My child's now sober. It's the fifth place he's been to so that's a big thing. It built a foundation for my child that he can rely on and where he's got people he can talk to in case he feels uncomfortable.

I knew about Sober College through the person taking care of my daughter. We were impressed with the academics. It seems to provide full service and that it would take people who were in the acute phase of getting sober all the way through months right there in college. They're taking classes. I was impressed. They would keep an eye on someone and work to make them as best they can. There were things we had to work out for the payment. The pre-admission team worked with us and made things much easier. They were very friendly, understanding and wonderful. Everybody knew their stuff. It wasn't just people beating their gums and patronizing you.

My daughter been in another program beforehand but she's a runner. She vanishes in the middle and sure enough after a week or so she left Sober College. But when she decided to give it a try again, she was welcomed back with open arms by the staff and by the other people ahead of her. Sort of a "Hey, we're glad you're back, we can help you, we can work with you." It impressed her and me as well. After that, she realized this program had people that were genuinely interested in her rehabilitation. Sober College have given us our daughter back. They have taken care to make sure that she is getting back into the community with a post-treatment program that they have planned so that she won't be out there free floating. They talked with us about it so we felt pretty good about how things are going and will go in the near future.

My wife mentioned that they have a family program where family all comes down and spends a weekend there. Various people got up on stage and discussed what's going on other than that in small groups. We met some other people that our daughter was dealing with. We saw the quality of the people that were working with my daughter was very good. A psychologist and a counselor were all available. They knew what they were doing and how to approach my daughter who had some deep problems. They could interact on a certain wavelength with my daughter and raised her to be a better person.

Sober College

I'm glad we have had the opportunity to serve you and your family and that you have had a satisfying experience overall. We appreciate your willingness to give such thoughtful, meaningful feedback. We recognize that dealing with doctors, insurance companies and pharmacies is a challenge and can be taxing financially. I do want to clarify that we do not profit from medications or relationships with vendors. That being said, we do establish good working relationships with some doctors in the area and work primarily with a locally-owned pharmacy that benefits us in the convenience of delivering medications, using other pharmacies only when we are trying to accommodate to find a more affordable solution. We take the challenge to look into ways in which we can improve our system to help your family and the other families we serve get the care needed in the most convenient, affordable way possible.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2016

Sober College encompassed the age group that my daughter would be most comfortable with and they had the academic college aspect. The admissions team was very good and helpful. We had to repeat so we were familiar with the process the second time around and it was really simple. The first time was about educating us. I was impressed with the facilities, aesthetics, and the accommodations they offer. Every time I go back I continue to be more impressed with the improvements they make. All of the staff has been absolutely amazing without fail. Everyone has been super high quality, super caring, investing in the recovery of the kids there. They were knowledgeable, helpful, and really, really wonderful people.

We thought our daughter was successful the first time but she didn’t stay in long enough. Even though they encouraged us to have her stay longer, we decided to take her and it wasn't the right decision. She begged to go back after she fell off the wagon and this time she finished. She’s in extended care right now, but she’s out on her own and she’s been in that for 18 months. We hope that this will catch, but it's been a long road. It hasn’t been easy always, but it certainly made it easier for us.

The only thing negative is the way they handled the billing on the medication and that they can just set doctor’s appointments/medication based on their convenience and not on the client’s convenience or expense parameters. They retail the prescription not at the cheapest place, but where they can get some sort of funding difference for them or insurance-wise. I suspect they get a better insurance payout from certain vendors, so we had to do work around with that and it's taken us about 2 years to figure out how to get the medicines and some of the treatments into a more reasonable range. Nevertheless, I have recommended them to several people.

Sober College Company Profile