1.05/5

Jackson, TN

1076 Apria Healthcare Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I was initially contacted by Apria Healthcare regarding an order for my CPAP machine which was prescribed by my doctor. Over a 2 week period they would call multiple times requesting that I return their call to complete the order, which I did every time they called, and it was the same routine - "We have you scheduled to speak with a technician that will call you, so they can meet with you to go over the machine and explain how it works." Me: "Ok great. But every time I call you, you keep telling me this technician is going to call me but they never do!" Them: "Ok sir, I have texted the technician, and they will call you today." (They NEVER called me).

After 2 weeks of this,(also including times they called, I'd answer, then they'd hang up) I finally got the same person who I always got when calling, and I said "look, what do I have to do to get you guys to send me a CPAP machine???" Then, for the first time she says, "Yes, we can mail you the machine via FedEx, it will come with a DVD, instructions, etc... Blah blah blah," and I'm like "What!!?? I thought a respiratory tech had to meet with me first???" "No sir, we can ship it to you and it has a DVD!!!"

Me: (trying to maintain composure) "Ok, just send me the ** please (I didn't actually say that), I'm sure I can figure it out, especially since it comes with one of them new fangled digital DVD discs!!" Long story short - If insurance wasn't paying for this, I would buy one outright. The communication, or rather the ability to understand the call center person was horrible, and I'm 40 years old. I can only imagine a much older person with impaired hearing trying to navigate the conversation with them...

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

My 92 year old grandmother had a stroke that left her unable to walk. We received a referral from her doctor for a wheelchair and were told that Apria would deliver it to our home. I contacted Apria to confirm that information. I was told we'd receive it that same day with a "100% assurance". I proceeded to have my grandmother discharged from the hospital based on the fact that we'd have a way to transport her from the car into the home. Was contacted later on by Nicole who proceeded to tell me that a wheelchair WOULD NOT be delivered that day and didn't know when it would be delivered.

I asked to talk to a supervisor and Pedro took the call. Kept me on hold for more than 30 mins total and still didnt have a resolution. Told me he would look into it and call me back. By then, we were already park in front of the house with no way of getting my grandmother in the house. Pedro called me back to tell me that there was a "Payer's Issue" and we wouldn't get the wheelchair on time. If they had said that to begin with, we wouldn't have had her discharged to our care. Hours went by and didn't receive an update. I called Apria and was told the order had been CANCELED??!! Been trying to get in contact with Pedro, the supervisor and he will not take my calls or call me back. Now, my mom had a fall trying to transport my grandmother in the home!!! This company should not be in business!!

Get expert buying tips about Portable Oxygen Concentrators delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

This company doesn’t even deserve one star really! In all my 64 years, I have NEVER dealt with such a horrible company... they outright lie to you! Bottom line of my story: I can’t have a blue rollator when it was purchased thru insurance coverage. I can only have blue if it is a cash purchase from a buyer! Since it did go thru my insurance, only one I can have is a RED one! Have you ever heard of anything so asinine in your life! I haven't! And it took 2 weeks of runaround for me to finally be told this! I will NEVER deal with this company again!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

About 3 weeks ago my pulmonologist ordered bipap machine for my sleep apnea. I have been on phone with these people over 10 times. Even I made conference call with my insurance with them and has not helped. They are a joke and phony company. They do not want to do anything hoping you will get tired and give up. Each time they state will ask for medical record. I have checked with my doctor and they have sent the clinical records. Each time the person is from different country answering me that have no idea what is going on. I have tried everything including to encourage my insurance company to drop them as provider. Meanwhile I am sleeping sitting up and worried if I will have heart attack due to lack of oxygen.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Apria's horrible business practices make them an awful solution to acquiring important medical services to those in need. SO many times has my parent been on hold forever, only to finally speak to someone in another country, so far removed from the situation to be of any help. Deliveries are consistently late, and there have been times when "new" equipment has arrived but turns out to be malfunctioning. 24 hour On-Call service actually complained to my parent about having to "get dressed" and "drive a long way" to provide emergency service. In a business where lives are on the line, and the dignity of the elderly and the sick should be a priority, Apria comes in last. Unfortunately in some areas, Apria has the market cornered, and customers have few, if any other options. Definitely go elsewhere for real healthcare. Definitely.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Apria Healthcare?

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

They are by far the worst place ever to do business with. They took forever to send out the CPAP supplies, so long that I stopped ordering from them after only a couple of orders. Their billing department does not help at all. They have been billing me for $6.84 over and over with phone calls and mailed bills. The bill has been paid... They do not get it! I have sent them proof, my insurance explanation of benefits that clearly shows it has been paid yet they keep sending me bills.

Phone calls only made things worse because all they say is it shows I have a balance and to have my insurance call them, they do not call insurance companies themselves??? And they want that phone call to be a conference call with me and the insurance company on the line! WHAT! Why would I put myself through this for $6.84 if I owed it to them but I refuse to pay them again for something that they have already been paid for. Do yourself a big favor and find another company to work with.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

This company is constantly charging my credit card, even though they've been reimbursed by my insurance company. I call them to dispute it, and they state it's their policy to charge this way, and apply a credit if they notice the discrepancy. There is no notification, I don't see a credit, and if I didn't get my credit card company involved, I would have overpaid again and again. I've been stuck with this provider as a selected in network provider by my insurance company, so I do not have an option to change to another fulfillment method.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I have been paying Apria Healthcare for my CPAP machine for three years now. I periodically receive bills from Apria and for this third time a bill came listing amounts unpaid since 2017. This is not the first time. This is obvious that APRIA is trying to double dip left and right and will threaten and send you to collection. I will not pay their bill anymore and seek for a group class action for justice and prevent this to happen. I am shocked to learn from so many complaints filed here and nothing done to protect us the consumer. This is abusive. Please contact me if you know where I could participate on a class action against this firm. **

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I ordered supplies in February 2018 and had to give this company my new insurance information then. They took information over the phone and then made me pay out of pocket for the supplies. However, they billed my old insurance instead of the new insurance. I have called 5 times since then (three times with my insurance company on the line as well) and they say they will fix the issue. However, it is still not fixed as of September 2018. They just keep blowing me off saying they will fix it in 48 hours. The money I paid in February still has not been credited to my deductible and it was over $200 that I paid out of pocket. DO NOT use this company as they have no willingness to fix their mistakes ever even when the insurance company calls them to fix the issue as well. Horrible service - if I could give them zero stars I would.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I got a bill for $1000 dollars listing me as self pay. I called and they said my insurance was suspended in July. Then they said they denied my claim because my coverage ended in Dec 2017. I asked why my insurance paid my May 2018 claim. She said they called me in July to say my insurance was suspended so now I’m listed as self pay. I explained I have current insurance gave them my number again and she said she would verify. She came back on again and said my coverage ended Dec 2017 and I had to contact my insurance. So I checked it online. My insurance is good and has paid several other claims in the last month.

I called them back. She put me on hold and came back and said they called me in July my insurance was suspended. I told her, "You must be billing wrong because it paid in May 2018." She said it ended on July. I asked why the other girl said Dec 2017. She answered we tried calling you. I asked what the number was they use to verify. It wasn’t the number on my card. So I asked her to try the number on my card and gave it to her. She said it’s noted but it’s illegal for them to cover contact the insurance company to see if I have coverage. They have to call them and say I have coverage. I told her, "Forget I’m not fixing your billing mistakes. I would give the machine back and get another company." She said I could do that. She would note it that. She ended with, "I hope you have a nice day..." Really. I will drop the machine off at their place tomorrow. I better not get a bill for the due amount or I will sue them.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

They don't answers the phone, tried for hours. After two hours, and speaking with 4 persons, Randy, Janea, Joe, nobody could find my account. Medicare pays for it. After three months of using the equipment, nobody knows anything. They simply can't find me. As much as tried to speak to a supervisor, they don't seem to be able to communicate with anybody. After two hours, they finally found my account and then, they say, "It's not Apria, call your Medicare and your other insurances." The worst, worst service ever!!!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I've needed a CPAP machine as a result of a sleep apnea test. I've called my insurance and found out my benefits: they'll cover 80% and my co-payment is 20% of the price of the machine. 7/17/2018, called APRIA Customer Service, talked to Maria, she has transferred me over to the Respiratory Department. I've asked what is the price of the machine so I'd know how much will be my payment responsibility. I was told only: MY CO PAYMENT OF 20% IS $67.69. 7/17/2018, placed the order, received it on 7/20/2018. 9/4/2018, called Apria to ask about ordering supplies; was told I do have a balance of $11.86. Paid it without asking what for. 9/24/2018 called APRIA because the machine was no longer working, found out there is another balance of $11.86 on my account. Why? Because the machine was a renting, not a purchase deal, so will became sale after 13 month of paying rent.

I said I was not notified about the renting deal at the time of the purchasing, so I NO LONGER WANT THE MACHINE, I want it to be picked up, and get a refund.

RESPONSE: No refund because there was a renting deal. I wanted the proof for this agreement. In order to get a response I've spent 5 hours talking with different persons, from different departments from either US, or Philippines, very frustrating, getting headaches because of their automatic phone system, which is giving you wrong options, some of them hang up on me, still not solved the problem.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

I received my new C-PAP unit for my sleep apnea. The next day I received a text telling me that my bill was past due. My health insurer hadn't even processed their claim yet! Then, I waited for over two weeks to receive my bill from Apria. Nothing ever came. When I called, I learned that I needed to request a mailed bill. I did that. Two weeks later again, and nothing from Apria. I next tried to set up an account online with Apria. I didn't have a "reference number", so I couldn't do it. I called again, and was assured that I would finally receive my bill. I'm still waiting. Run, don't walk, away from these people.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

They are to call to give a time of the delivery, they don’t, they don’t show up or call if they can’t make it or won’t be on time. They make a 97 year old wait all day listening for the doorbell from 8am to 9pm at night because they don’t want to miss their knock or the doorbell and then never show up. I called to find out what was up and they hung up on me because I asked who do I talk to, to complain. This company has done this before. They don’t care about their customer or any complaints. Now we have to start over and another day of waiting. This is not the driver's fault I don’t believe, they are usually very pleasant, it’s the scheduling and dispatch. All Apria cares is that your Insurance pays. Sad sad sad. Shame on you for treating seniors in this manner. Someday you will be there too.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Your system from beginning to end is not workable. I have made a request to transfer my CPAP info. to another supplier and can not depend on any of your representatives to perform even this simple process. My call was continually drop when I was put on hold. This is my open request... I have contacted my pulmonologist and asked them to send the info. directly to a new supplier who knows how to operate a business professionally and ethically. You are hereby notified here in writing that I am no longer wanting anything to do with April or any of your subsidiaries. Do not send any supplies or billing to me. I am referring this complaint to the Florida Attorney General's Office. I would have made the termination to you directly but you can't even handle an incoming phone call.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

This may be the worst company I've ever had to deal with. I ordered a wheelchair through my doctor & Blue Cross insurance company and I was told 7 to 10 days but probably sooner I would hear from them. Well now after several calls and one month later they just told me that they're so busy it may take up to 3 months to process and maybe I would be better off going to a different supplier. Hard to believe my ears and when I questioned the guy he said they were instructed to say that because they're receiving so many calls from upset customers. Wow, that's incredible, what a poorly run company this is. They need to replace all decision makers from the top down with people that know how to run a business. So much growth potential is being wasted. Hard to believe this company is still in business.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

They set us up with a machine that would work at home but would not fill the two extra bottles to use when you needed to leave your house for appointments. I called two or three times pleading with them for help. I could not seem to get through how important it was to be able to leave the house in case of another unexpected ER Visit or for doctor appointments. I said he will die without it. They made two appointments and didn't keep either one. I was furious. Several days later they finally sent someone over who replaced top part of the machine so we could fill the two bottles. I said this is cutting it short.

It is an hours drive to the city and an hours drive back if all goes well. Plus you usually sit at Dr office for thirty min or more before you get in to see the doctor and you have another thirty min there. Then you have to stop at pharmacy which takes another forty five min. Every time we leave the house we pray there are no traffic accidents that stop traffic for an hour or our gooses will be cooked. This has been a major frustration dealing with Apria. Customer service is not good. Wish we had been assigned to a different oxygen provider.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

If I could rate this company 0 Stars, I totally would. First I'm going to say that when I contacted my hospital's sleep center with issues regarding the company that the CPAP machine came from, they asked which company I was assigned to. When I advised them that I was assigned to Apria Healthcare, the insurance specialist stated "I'm not sure why I set you up with them. They have a lot of issues and complaints."

I have contacted Apria's customer service maybe about 6 or 7 times, and only once have I gotten someone I actually understood. I signed up for auto-supply when I got my CPAP machine, took 8 months to get my new supplies. My biggest gripe with their customer service however is in billing. I got my CPAP machine in July 2017 and was told I would no longer be billed after 1 year which was standard. Come July and August 2018 I receive bills for high amounts. Contacted customer service, and the rep advised me "Oh something on your account was changed so your account was renewed in December [2017]." I asked why I wasn't notified of this, the rep said that it was the insurance fault because I "had a change in insurance companies."

FALSE, I've had the same insurance provider since 2016, no changes. I told the rep, that this was incorrect and he just kept repeating the same thing to me. I asked him, "from July 2017 to July 2018 how many months has it been?" He LITERALLY replies back to me "due to your insurance change your contract is now going on 8 months..." Apria needs to STOP outsourcing its call centers to wherever the hell they are because the reps ALL have heavy accents, speak fast, and make no effort to try to speak clearly to the customer or patient calling in.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I help an elderly gentleman who is 81 years old and needs his oxygen to live. I have been helping him for over 2 years and have never in my life seen such poor communication within a company. Bert has a health savings account which payments are directly made from. Bert continues to get bills that always shows amounts exceeding $200.00. He has been harassed by the delivery people telling him that they would STOP delivering his oxygen unless he pays his account. Both the health savings account representative and I have talked to Apria too many times to count. Apria has now sent Bert to collections again (8/2048) for $23.81 that were billed and paid in 11/2017.

I have talked to Tish at 866-838-4762 several times to no avail, she promises to stop the collections and note Bert's account but does not follow through. The health saving account representative was told that even though Apria has received, cashed and the checks have cleared the bank, that it takes 120 days to credit Bert's account. Copies of cleared checks have been sent to Apria over and over again and it seems like NO ONE is able to correct this account. Unless you have an advocate that can spend ENDLESS hours trying to work through the billing, DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

My mom is on oxygen therapy for COPD, and of course Apria is the company she's had to work with to get her supplies. Our experience began in May when she couldn't be released from the hospital until Apria had delivered her oxygen to the home. Several calls were made by the medical staff and our family to get this scheduled. It took 4 hours before customer service was able to locate the medical order (which was sent over several times). When the associate finally arrived to set up the oxygen, no apology was made, and the proper mask wasn't even included. It then took another two weeks to get Apria back out to the house to deliver the proper mask and portable concentrator.

More recently, we've had another negative experience. Our doctor prescribed a BiPAP machine to help remove dangerous CO2 levels in mom's breathing. An order was sent to Apria, who claimed they couldn't find the order. After THREE MONTHS of follow-up to get this machine, we demanded that Apria find a local office that had the machine so we could get it. A customer service representative told us that a local office had it and they would prepare it for us. We drove out there only to find that they didn't have a machine, and wouldn't have one for another two days. We again demanded they find another location with a machine for us to pick up, NO ONE OFFERED AN APOLOGY FOR THE MISCOMMUNICATION, OR TO TRANSPORT THE MACHINE TO A CLOSER LOCATION FOR US TO PICKUP. Instead, we had to drive 45 minutes to get this machine so our mom could have relief.

I'm DISGUSTED with the lack of customer service, the lack of communication between the call center and the office locations, and the defensive attitude received in the office when you share your experience. People rely on this company to BREATHE, it's life and death. I can't say enough negative things about this company, and their unwillingness to be patient-focused. Apria, you should absolutely be ashamed of your poor level of service and unprofessionalism.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Just wanted reports to be sent out to my doctor and to me on my Trilogy use. Never happened without me being on the phone following up; takes hours. Never an apology. Always following up several times. Went to doctors appointment with no reports and nothing to discuss. Their billing department is equally poor. They never send a bill and start collection calls. I requested an invoice several times and never received one. I ended up paying blindly with no reference, hoping they would match up somehow. Needless to say, that was a nightmare in it self. Later I was told that they had me set in the system not to send me invoices. As of today, I am switching to another company. It took a lot, but I'm done. I voiced my displeasure with my insurance company. They will help me change providers.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

This company delivers wrong products consistently. Agents have hard-to-understand accents. My grandson's suction machine died and replacement promised in 24 hours has not been received 6 days later. He depends on it to breathe.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I call the Apria phone number and someone from outside the U.S. answers, I can not understand them and they don't seem to be able to understand me. I have been trying for about 2 weeks to get 4 ML6 homefill tanks, first they sent two D tanks, of which I already had 2 and I had to send the back. Next they sent out an ML4 homefill tank, I don't know why, I called again today to find when my order will be here. No luck have to wait for a call back. I was an Apria patient several years ago and never had any issues with them. What the hell happened!!!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Apparently Apria uses a third party billing agent called Care Centrix. Nothing but a runaround from Apria and Care Centrix. Based on CPAP order placed in December 2017, I received a bill for $247.02 directly from Apria. I coordinated calls between my HC company, Apria and Care Centrix thinking everything was resolved. Here we are, August 2018 and not only did I receive another bill for $247.02 they charged my credit card - I do not recall giving auto pay authorization. I have sent documentation from my health insurance company indicating they paid Care Centrix back in Feb 2018 and I paid my part in January 2018. Tired of the billing reps constantly apologizing but it's hollow now since the issue is still not resolved 8-9 months later and counting. Not a happy customer and now I'm questioning why am I even using them as I would have thought the interface between Apria and Care Centrix would have been worked out.

Apria Healthcare response

Hi Keith, We would like to help. If you would like to discuss your concern, send your full name and phone number and the best time to reach you to CustomerCareOnline@apria.com. In your email, include reference number [437532]. ~Kasey

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Apria's billing dept. has been extremely difficult to work with. Every time I call with a billing inquiry, I am given a different answer. No one seems to know what I truly owe. One person tells me I overpaid, another tells me I still owe over $200 (these calls happened within the same week). I am transferred multiple times and required to explain my situation/concern again and again. We had insurance 1 from April '17 to Aug '17. Insurance 2 from Sept. '17 to Nov. '17. Then, we went back to insurance 1 from Dec. '17 to now. I have bills dated with the correct dates of service and insurance info, yet the Billing Dept. has told me they NEVER got the updated insurance info and my claims were denied by insurance for "timely filing"- but again, I have invoices FROM APRIA dated for Dec. '17 with insurance 1 listed on the back.

So now, I am expected to pay for these services that would have been covered by insurance because Apria - despite having the correct insurance info-billed the wrong insurance. I have spent HOURS on the phone explaining this to various representatives and have made no progress in this issue. I cannot stress enough how difficult my experiences with them have been. I will NEVER use Apria again and I will be discouraging ALL of my friends & family from using their services.

Apria Healthcare response

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience that these issues may have caused you. We really appreciate your feedback, and we understand that insurance can be very confusing and hope you give us the opportunity to review this further. If you are willing to talk further, please email and reference 437533 along with your information, including a call back number, to CustomerCareOnline@apria.com. Thanks, Amanda

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I always confirm what my copay will be before placing an order. I ordered CPAP supplies early August, and was told my copay would be $48. My supplies arrived, and today my checking account was dinged for $247.00! I, like most people, am on a budget and this is very distressing. The charge just magically appeared! I called Apria first thing, a very rude c.s rep told me my insurance didn’t pay so I have to. That’s all well and good, but I should have been notified prior to this charge, especially since I did not sign up for autopay (I never do). I told her to close my account. She said she couldn’t do that. I told her to remove my debit card and she did so grudgingly. I WILL NEVER USE APRIA AGAIN.

Apria Healthcare response

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience that these issues may have caused you. Please allow us the opportunity to review the situation by emailing your contact information, including a call back number and reference number 437524 to CustomerCareOnline@apria.com. Thanks, Amanda.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

They are the worst company. I had contacted the CEO of the company, and he responded but that still didn't change things. All of the employees I ever spoke with were not nice and didn't know much about what they were talking about. They have too many 1-800 numbers all over the United States. They never answer very often. I think everyone should never use them. They take advantage of patients and their reps of the company are liars to the doctors. Doctors or their staff believe it. They are so more expensive than other companies. I really think they rip off Medicare and patients that don't know what is going on. Nurses sign for things and they shouldn't be doing that at all. That is how Apria makes money.

Apria Healthcare response

Hi Mary, we want to speak with you about this. Please send your full name, phone number, and the best time to reach you to CustomerCareOnline@apria.com. In your email, include reference number [435577]. ~Kasey

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Released from hospital 5/15/2017 with oxygen equipment to be delivered that evening. Never arrived and was readmitted same evening ICU as a result. Next discharge 5/22/2017 with oxygen equipment order actually delivered. Bills for the equipment sent to insurance (100% coverage) absent necessary documentation. Since May, 2017 we have been turned over to State Collection, recalled from collection, turned over again, Apria reclassified the billing from Medicare coverage to billing us bypassing our insurance. I now have a very fat folder of communication all of which has been submitted to Apria with the requested insurance Explanation of Benefits. Here we are over a year later in collections and have an Anthem Blue Cross Medicare Advantage plan with full coverage that states we are not responsible. Run, run, run from Apria. Our contact with Breanna ** Sandy ** and a Rochelle at Apria.

Apria Healthcare response

We would like to help. If you would like to discuss your concern, send your full name and phone number and the best time to reach you to CustomerCareOnline@apria.com. In your email, include reference number 435578. Thank you, Social Media Response Team!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

My Dad is 96 with Dementia in Hospice. Apria delivered a wheelchair to a rehabilitation facility in La Jolla Ca my Dad was at for a week... He never used the wheelchair as it was unnecessary... A nurse there signed for it. They billed my Dad for 6 mos despite numerous calls to them explaining the situation. Now 15 mos later they are calling our home (I am his son) for payment due... I have explained the situation to them 7 times via phone and 2 times via letter... They simply will not give up... I would avoid this company at any cost.

Apria Healthcare response

We want to look into what you describe in this review. Please send your full name and phone number and the best time to reach you to CustomerCareOnline@apria.com. In your email, include reference number 434901.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Four or five months ago I was contacted by Apria Healthcare regarding a CPAP machine that my doctor wanted me to get. When the representative told me how much it was going to be, I said I couldn't afford it. Now they're billing me for a machine I never received. When I asked them to provide the agreement I signed, they tell me they don't have it signed but they can send it to me now to sign. What?! Now they're threatening to send me to collections for something I've never received and they're billing my insurance company Aetna as if I had the equipment! This is nothing but INSURANCE FRAUD which Apria Healthcare is well known for.

Apria Healthcare response

We want to look into what you describe in this review. Please send your full name and phone number and the best time to reach you to CustomerCareOnline@apria.com. In your email, include reference number [434993]. ~Kasey

Apria Healthcare Company Information