Apria Healthcare

Jackson, TN

Compare Health Products

Research top Health Products recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I used Apria since 1995. Have always had problems scheduling to see a therapist. After I made an appointment by phone for the Hanover Park, IL location. When I checked in nobody had my appointment on record. They made me wait too long to see a therapist. I am still waiting. Very poor people skills and lousy customer service.

Apria Healthcare provided the equipment for my sleep apnea. Sleep apnea is not easy to treat and requires adjustments as you go along. I can only say the Apria Healthcare has the worst customer service that I have ever dealt with. They promise and don't deliver what they promised. They bill incorrectly and hold you accountable. They outsource and have staff with such thick accents that they try to mask with a filter that makes them sound like they are speaking underwater.

They are rude and hang up on you (twice). I finally had to give up and just send the equipment back because I do not want to deal with this company. They are in serious need of help in the customer service department. I don't know what I'm going to do at this point because the equipment, even though faulty, was helping me. I think the overseas people they hire must be paid very little, must have minimal training, don't know how to deal with problems of any complexity, and simply don't want to be bothered.

They are incompetent to the point of criminal. Every few months they put a charge on my medical flex card that doesn't belong. This results in my card being FROZEN until the issue is resolved. It will take no less than 4 phone calls to speak to a human. They claim they cannot fax or email itemized invoices. They can only use snail mail. They will mail the incorrect invoices (or someone else's invoices) at least once. This will result in needing to make at least 4 more phone calls. Avoid this company.

I have been with Apria since 2006 for my oxygen and they did have their act together back then. But now they are just useless! I called them back in August 2016 to inform them of my new insurance and I was connected to a woman in the Philippines who I am sorry to say but I don't think she could even spell her own name. She asked me at least five times for my account number and I kept telling her that I didn't have it. In all the years I have been with them I have never needed it so I gave her my name and my phone number figuring that one of those would get her to my account. Have you ever called any company that could not find your account with your name? Give me a break. And by the time she was done, it was at least an hour later.

So here we are in a new year and my insurance has not paid one claim yet! I called back another day and the girl told me what insurance she had and of course she says, "that's not what we have in the computer." HELLO, is anybody there? So I ask for a supervisor and I'm told she is on the phone so I said I'll wait. After quite some time she comes to the phone and I asked her if anybody in the billing dept knew how to bill a claim? "Oh yes, is there a problem?" Is there ever! Anyhow, to spare you all from this, they didn't have the right documents to bill anything. So now the problem has grown into a mountain.

So, I call them a few times a week and now I call both the hospital and the insurance company too. Even with me pushing them to get it done now all of a sudden the documents were done incorrectly. So it looks like my life on the phone will be an ongoing process until I see at least one claim get paid. It's only been six months now and if they dare to tell me that I will be responsible for the unpaid claims there will definitely be hell to pay! I have had more than enough "fun" now. I just wish someone, anyone knew how to do their job. Good luck to all that are dealing with this company whatever the problem may be!

I am a new customer and I highly recommend you stay away from this company. The customer service is horrible! I have yet to have ANY contact that has been anywhere close to acceptable. Every time I call I get put on hold for a minimum of 45 minutes - literally every time. I have asked to talk to a supervisor 3 times over a 3 week period and I am still waiting a return call that was promised within 24 hours. As we sit here I was supposed to be contacted by a respiratory therapist within 24 hours. It has been 27 hours and no one has called. Tomorrow I will be contacting my Dr's office to demand they take this company off their list of resources. THEY ARE HORRIBLE!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Apria Healthcare?

I was given a time for pickup of medical equipment of between 9:45 am and 1:45 pm. It's now 3:45 and I'm still waiting. I've called them 5 times now and am getting transferred from one department to another. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!!

We had a prescription to get a nebulizer and our doctor's office faxed the paperwork 4 times over the period of 2 months. We called in a several time and the responses we got over time would spin our heads. They won't know the history and always start over, not only that wouldn't get the faxes. We even have fax receipt that show it was sent. We had so much headache with them that in the end we just gave up. IF YOU HAVE A CHOICE, PLEASE GO TO SOMEONE ELSE!

I will never use a product from Apria. My daughter was discharged from Children's hospital with the need for an O2 tank. Thank the Lord I had another from my pediatrician, because after 2 1/2 hours on the phone with Apria Customer service I never was able to get a replacement tank delivered. I was blind transferred 3 times. On hold for 25 minutes only to be told I was in the wrong department. My 1st call, after being on hold for 43 minutes, I was hung up on. No willingness to help. If my daughter was in dire need of oxygen, Apria would be useless. I've read reviews. Deliveries are not guaranteed. Find someone else.

I am a nurse at a living facility and one of the residents ran out of oxygen. After waiting 1hr 36 min on hold I was able to get thru. When they did answer I received nothing but attitude from the person on the other end. When I asked to speak to their supervisor I was told they would have to call me back. 2 more hours later and nothing. I will be switching the residents service and never using them again!! Working in healthcare I have dealt with multiple oxygen companies and they are by far the worst I've dealt with.

Bad Bad Bad Apria. Real bad news. Stay away. Robot call harassment. Poor service. No supervisor call back. Has told they would hipaa privacy law violations multiples times. No private delivery van. All plastered with big murals advertising to the whole street where you live that you now have medical issues. Making a person vulnerable to attacks over charge on monthly co-pay. The 6 months maintenance a real joke. Why even bother at all. So to summarized that company is no good at all. Tell everyone you care about. Do 'em a favor.

This is the worst company I have ever worked with. I have been without my supplies for 15 days because they will not fill my order without another study and there is no one to talk to. If you do get through the call dropped twice. I recommend you find another supplier. I certainly am looking. I cannot warn you enough to stay away.

I was having trouble staying compliant with my newly prescribed CPAP machine, so I reached out to Apria for help. The respiratory therapist that originally set me up with the machine advised me not to bother calling with questions, but to e-mail them directly. The reason for this is because all phone calls are routed to an offshore call center, where people with poor English skills are woefully unequipped to handle your questions. After two unanswered e-mails to the respiratory therapist, I reluctantly called. I reported through the automated system that I was not compliant, and the system told me I would receive a phone call in a few days. The call never came. I called again, this time to a different number that my PCP was able to obtain for me, and spoke to an actual person. This person, who was obviously reading from a script, told me I was scheduled for a "phone visit," and would receive a call in a few days. Again the call never came.

I eventually did get an apologetic reply from the respiratory therapist, a MONTH after the first e-mail, but the advice was not particularly useful. All the while I have not been getting the benefits of the therapy. I told my PCP that I was not getting support from Apria, so he referred me to a pulmonologist to help me work out the problems I was having. During the visit with the pulmonologist, the office tried to obtain a compliance report from Apria three times. The first two times they were hung up on by the call center, and the third time just wasn't successful. I took time off work and had to pay a co-pay for a useless visit because the doctor couldn't get the data he needed to help me. The office staff told me that this is typical of Apria, and that they are well-known for having the absolute worst customer service. They highly recommended that I switch compaines, and offered to help me do so, which I have done.

After this visit, I e-mailed the respiratory therapist demanding the compliance report, and I also submitted a complaint through the patient satisfaction page on their website. Somehow my doctor eventually did get the report, and I received an apologetic voicemail from a customer service representative. They couldn't have told me anything to make me stay with this company. If you have a complaint about this company, I suggest you do as I have done, and contact the Joint Commission, a healthcare accreditation organization. Hopefully if they receive enough complaints, they will either strip Apria of their accreditation, or force them to improve. Here is the contact information for the Joint Commission: https://www.jointcommission.org/, The Joint Commission, Office of Quality Monitoring, One Renaissance Blvd., Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181.

This is one of the worst run operations I have ever seen. Nothing they send is complete. They treat you just like they have by the short hairs. Please if you need supplies save yourself for getting upset and pissed off with people who only care about their bottom line. They send stuff you don't need and can't use and then say "we cannot take it back." In plain English they suck big time. I hope someone from Apria contacts me about my review. I would love to talk to somebody other then a **. I would like to speak with their stockholders. If you wish to be treated like crap and a nobody deal with them.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY. TOO MANY LIES AND WILL NOT BE STRAIGHT FORWARD. Apria Healthcare has had my prescription since Nov 17th for my new machine. They seem to have lost my records and will not fill my order until I get a new sleep study. I have talk to several supervisor (Christina and Joe). Did not get name of last supervisor. The people there keep telling me my sleep study has expired which is a lie. They have just lost it. They cannot find it in there records (LOST IT). My health is not the greatest and I have maxed out my insurance for the year and wanted to get a machine so it does not cost me anything.

Spoke with my doctor and they say the sleep study does not expires unless things change. Nothing has change and just need my prescription fill. They keep telling me different stories and they cannot tell me the truth. I'm tired of all the lies and the poor customer service. So at this point I will be using another company for my machine. I'm in customer service for my job and this is (I will be nice ((BAD)) customer service). Their customer follow-up is poor. I had to call to find out what was going on. THIS IS WRONG!!! Your staff should be following up with all phone calls and giving updates. Is there a position open so I can straighten out your mess?

I recently picked up a CPAP machine for the gentleman that I take care of. I first thought when speaking to them that it would be delivered. No delivery available. I went to their location, came in the door and there's nobody around. I rang a bell as instructed by sheet of paper taped to the desk. I then had to wait another five minutes before somebody appeared. I understand they have this giant building and hardly anybody there, but when you have scheduled time to get there I would have thought that somebody would be more prompt at helping you. They don't even give you personal instructions on how to use the machine but you can take a class on a Wednesday night to be instructed.

Now the machine is set at too high of a pressure so I was instructed to the position that ordered it for the patient to give another prescription. He did, for a BiPAP machine now it's been over a week and haven't heard anything back from Apria Healthcare. So I call them and they explained that the doctor did not write the correct order and they cannot bill Medicare for two machines. Two weeks have passed and still nothing. The patient is suffering because of their delays. VERY DISAPPOINTED WITH APRIA.

Total bait and switch with Apria Healthcare. Diagnosed with sleep apnea via Kaiser Permanente (who is not blameless) and supplied with CPAP gear from Apria. Quoted one price. Charged another. Talked to Apria who set up payment plan. Started getting calls regarding missed payments. Email exchange with Apria to re-establish payment plan. Making monthly payments. Today got letter from bill collector. Apria is willfully trying to mess this up! Awful, terrible and now my credit rating is messed up because I owe $200 to a greedy company for supplies I need so I don't die in my sleep.

I never received a courtesy call that my wife missed paying a small bill. Didn't find out about it until I applied for credit. I called Apria. First agent told me what to do was ok. Had a better experience with the collection agency. I paid the bill called Apria billing to give the reference number to them. The agent talked over me and when I calmly called her on it she became condescending with me I ask to talk to her supervisor. I was on hold 15 minutes. She kept coming back and saying that the supervisors are tied up. 3rd time I was hung up. Called back and got escalated to a 2nd level supervisor who was worse. I asked her to send me to her supervisor. She kept going on and on escalating her voice. I escalated my voice and asked to talk to her supervisor who was useless to me.

If anyone ever needs medical equipment stay away from Apria Healthcare, they really don't care. After 3 calls confirming I would get the wheel chair my doctor ordered and my health insurance approved and having someone wait all day to answer the door I found out they forgot to let me know it was out of stock and they'll let me know when they get one. Their customer service supervisor was more useless than any of them with her "too bad, we'll let you know". This is the worst medical equipment company I've ever dealt with. I have a broken leg that is completely non weight bearing and I can't get around without someone helping me or a wheelchair. If they were at least contrite or tried to get a chair from their location about 15 miles from my home instead 60 miles away. The worst!

Unfortunately I chose Apria as my "go to" for C-PAP and supplies... I have never been impressed with this company and their method of contact, but even worse now that there is an actual problem. I tried to order supplies today and was told I had a 128.00 amount that has gone to collection, from Jan 2014 no less. I have had no notification of this amount I supposedly owe, no notification of it going to collections... And now can't get it cleared up. In my research today, I find that in Jan 2014 when I got the c-pap machine they didn't have the new insurance numbers. And in Sept they finally got around to contacting the updated insurance, and was told by the insurance they would not pay a for the machine 9 months later. If they had contacted me, I probably could have got this taken care of being the insured... but Apria didn't.

In fact, if I hadn't contracted Apria for supplies today, I still wouldn't know anything. And this is not the first time I have gotten supplies from them, but only today Dec 2016, did I know about it. Trying to reach someone other than people offshore that answer the phone and have no authority to do anything but send you back to the people you already talked to, the billing dept... And the billing dept can't help either, although they are they are the cause of this problem... By not billing at all or not in a timely way. So, although it will affect my credit - I am NOT paying the 128.02 and I AM NOT buying any more supplies from this company... And I use that word "company" loosely. What a joke they are!

I switched from Medicare to Kaiser. My Kaiser doctor ordered a CPAP for me because I had to return the one leased through Medicare. I was advised Apria would contact me to arrange delivery. Weeks passed with no call so I called them. Delivery was scheduled. It was a no-show. 3 subsequent days it did not arrive and each day Apria assured it would be delivered. I scheduled the return of my CPAP device based on Apria's lies. My doctor advised me to "call management". I did and spoke with an Apria supervisor who conceded I had been misled but she could not provide me with a delivery date or even an estimated one because they do not have the personnel!

The device supplier is obliged to train the patient and set up the device--it is part of the outrageous price Medicare pays the supplier. Because I had prior CPAP experience I let Apria off the hook to train and set me up in exchange for delivery. As they are being paid for this, it constitutes FRAUD, but it seemed to be the only way I could obtain my CPAP. In case you do not know, Medicare pays approximately $3,500 over the course of the 13 month lease for a CPAP device plus supplies. The exact same device and supplies can be mail ordered for less than a third of that. This is indeed a scam. These companies profit and prosper at the expense of all the rest of us and it translates into fewer healthcare dollars for patients.

Horrible customer service. Hard to get a hold of--you cannot call them directly. Must go through a customer call center rep in the Philippines who will try to call Apria for you. After several attempts, I was told by the call center rep that my concern was flagged as "Urgent" and that I will receive a call back from Apria but that never happened.

My Story: I ordered my breast pump from Edgepark.com but somehow Apria got a hold of my prescription and called me a few days later saying, "Your breast pump is ready for pick-up, please come in and pick it up today." I thought that the Rep was calling on behalf of Edgepark.com. Since I was 9 months pregnant and my husband works long hours, it was hard for me to drive 20 mins to pick-up the device. Hence, I asked if it can be delivered since Edgepark.com stated that all breast pump will be delivered... The Apria Rep was hesitant to mail it and tried to talk me into picking up the equipment stating that I can get it quicker, don't have to wait, their branch is locally located... When I asked her when I will get the equipment if it was delivered, she told me the next day. I immediately told her that I do not mind waiting an extra day. She got mean when I was adamant about wanting my device delivered.

I later learned that they wanted to give me the device ASAP because they want to bill my insurance ASAP. Also, their policy is once you receive the device, it is non-refundable so you are stuck with it. The breast pump I received was some very cheap piece of junk and was definitely not the "Medela" one that I had ordered. Because I've never heard of Apria Healthcare, which was the name on the receipt, I thought that it was a local company that is contracted with Edgepark...

I received the device on Friday and since Apria was closed on the weekend I called them on Monday to tell them that I had ordered a Medela Breast Pump and not the one that I received... The only number available on the receipt was the customer service call center who could not get a hold of Apria so I was told that they sent an urgent message to Apria and I should get a call back within 24 hours. That never happened. After a couple of days have passed, I called Edgepark.com and was told that they are not associated with Apria Healthcare and that my Medela pump is already on its way to my house.

I call Apria customer call center again and was told that they already billed my insurance and since I already received the device, it was non-refundable. I told them that I received a device that I neither ordered nor wanted. And I did call Apria the next business day to notify them of this fact but never received a call back. The Rep then told me to call the Billing Dept to get it straightened out. Billing told me to drop off the device at the local Apria Branch.

Note: If you drop off a device, ALWAYS get a receipt. They will tell you that you will not need one, but do not leave WITHOUT a RECEIPT! I was told that the return will take a week. Hopefully they will get this straightened out for me because I am too pregnant and too tired to have to deal with any more stress. Since I DID NOT authorize this order--I never signed up for it or signed for it, they should not have billed my insurance company. Now I have to go through all of this trouble to get the device that I actually ordered and wanted.

What is the purpose of an automated shipping procedure if Apria does not ship the order? They called me two weeks ago and never processed the order. I now have 0 supplies. Very upset as the coal is a lifeline.

I'm pregnant, my OB's office gave me a prescription for a breast pump, and my insurance company gave me Apria's name and number to contact to get the pump ordered. I want to start by saying I started the process with Apria somewhere within the last week of August and the first week of September, first time I spoke with them to get the ball rolling I had the prescription from my Dr. in my hand and asked if they needed any numbers off of it, if they needed me to send it in or the doctor's office to send it in, or even my doctor's name, the woman I spoke with said no and that they would be contacting me within a few weeks, after they worked everything out with the insurance company to set up a delivery time. Well, they didn't reach back out to me until the end of October to tell me they needed the Doctor's Office to send in the prescription to them.

Well end of November started to roll around, and nothing. I placed another call to them last Monday and was informed they received the prescription weeks ago and nothing had been done. I was told it was going to be escalated to a supervisor to get this taken care of, at this point the baby is due in a month. I called back today, because apparently you can't trust them to do their jobs properly and you need to stay on top of them, and guess what hasn't happened... It still hasn't been escalated, I am still nowhere in the process of receiving the breast pump and the baby is due in 3 weeks. Asking to speak with a Supervisor did me no good. Pam, was her name, couldn't tell me anything on the status, only that now miraculously there was a supervisor who was above her head aware of the situation.

I understand the company works with, and deals with a lot more important medical supplies and patients besides Breast Pumps, but that's why I started the process of getting it with Apria months ago, because I figured it'd take time. But here we are, at the end of the pregnancy and still nothing. I didn't realize all the negative reviews until today, and wish I had looked prior because I would not have even considered trying to do business with them. Where is this company's integrity? I fully plan on getting with my insurance company and making them aware of this situation. Hoping it might helps others needing more important, life dependent equipment.

If there was 0 STARS I would have chosen this option. This company is an absolute joke. To think MEDICARE dishes out MILLIONS of dollars to help with SENIOR CARE is just unimaginable. My aunt's doctor placed an order for a wheelchair through APRIA on September 28, 2015. As of today Nov 30 we have yet to receive the wheelchair. We have called in at least 20 times over the past 2 months. Every time I call in the staff is very pleasant and assures me the order will be processed and delivered that day.

Moving forward because the equipment was not delivered my aunt sustained a severe fall on November 3. She has since been in the hospital and has been unable to walk or even sit up. This order was ELEVATED to a HOSPITAL DISCHARGE by APRIA so the equipment would be delivered immediately on Nov 22. As of today's date Nov 30... APRIA has yet to deliver the equipment but assures me it will be delivered today. This company also provides oxygen, PAP, wound care and respiratory equipment. This company is a SHAM.

I have been dealing with these incompetent people since September 2016 to get a new CPAP machine for my husband. I gave them all of the information they asked for. We get 2-3 calls from a man named "Alex", just giving an update, then a girl calls with the same BS, I cannot understand her. It sounds like they are calling from a boiler room in Pakistan. Try to avoid Apria at all costs. Rude, hateful sales reps. They have aggravated the ENT doctor with their bombardment of requests for the same paperwork! As of 11-28-2016, still haven't received anything from them except a headache and extreme frustration.

I have been a patient with APRIA for about a month. Their customer service is TERRIBLE. I have to use a C-PAP, as my breathing stops 93 times a minute. I have NOT be able to use it as the pressure is not correct. My doctor's office sent 2 faxes yesterday requesting an immediate change. I have called multiple times. THEY CLAIM THEY SEE NOTHING in the SYSTEM. I asked to speak to a supervisor in the "FAX TEAM" department. The person on the phone who barely speaks english. "SHERYL" "JED" and several others I have talked to at the customer service is of no help. And I'M HAVING a hard time understanding them!

This morning, another customer service person told me he could make an appointment at my local office on Friday. The prescription sent via FAX from my doctor's office should be acceptable and work properly. So, I am to get an appoint at my doctor, which I can get on Monday, November 28th....then I need to go to the local APRIA office for them to update my machine? When will that be? Next week? I hold APRIA RESPONSIBLE FOR THE DETRIMENT OF MY HEALTH. I will contact my attorney and be advised that any adverse reaction to my health caused by the equipment issued by APRIA, or lack of responsibility by APRIA will be held responsible for any and all medical problems that will/may arise from lack of proper oxygen.

It has been an absolute circus and a mess trying to get my CPAP machine and equipment. Customer contact is the worse. You cannot call them directly. The call center is in the Philippines. Fine people but we are here in the United States! They want to rent you the equipment. No way. My deductible met already. I will bet that they try to bill me, but forget it. I can't believe the amount of horror stories here and to think that they are still in business. Mine has been ongoing back and forth for 9 plus weeks. I am glad that my old (15 years) machine has not shut down. Horrible to deal with. I have had only a couple of "nice people" and the rest is "song and dance", "I will get them to call you." It's ridiculous.

My SSRA electronic form reflects the original rental figures. Luckily, I reconfirmed with my insurance that everything is 100% covered. For those of you who still have a bank card attached to your account, I suggest that you cancel it and get another card. That way they can't steal your money unsolicited with your knowledge. In short, APRIA HEALTHCARE SUCKS!

After my office visit, my doctor put in an order in September 2016, for a CPAP machine. I still don't have one - in November. The Apria in Arizona has a call center that only relays messages, you can't call an office directly. When an office responds, they have the call center call back. Whenever they left a message, it was only that it was about a CPAP and to call back if I wanted more information. When I'd call they always said that my prescription was invalid so they couldn't provide the equipment. They had no other information, requiring more messages back & forth, leading to more voice mail messages with no information.

When I did get to speak to someone, they kept saying my doctor hadn't submitted the information or records required by Medicare, blaming Medicare for needing precise wording on the forms. They used every stalling method possible, and said I hadn't had the required "face-to-face" with my doctor, that he hadn't provided his medical number, that he hadn't provided the required medical records, etc.

I even got my doctor's office manager involved. I had to have another appointment (with a co-pay), so my doctor could ask me, again, if I used my old CPAP every day. Would he have ordered it without determining that I used one and needed a new one??? I was shown the documents that had been faxed to Apria, showing the confirmation of receipt, and including Apria's own form, which my doctor had completely filled out, with his medical license number typed in! He'd included all the medical records required.

I again called the call center & I had to insist on speaking to an Apria manager. After being on hold for more than 30 minutes, a supervisor got on. He said he would expedite the order, call my doctor the next day, follow up on the order, then get back to me with the progress. I gave him the name & number of the office manager who had been helping me & who knew all the details. No one has heard from Apria. I just reported Apria to Medicare.

Do not use Apria!! I'm in a serious situation! They never deliver my oxygen when they are suppose to! I'VE been with them for years and have to call for my normal delivery at least once a month! I'm totally out right now and my concentrator has stopped working and I was on the phone for three hours this am begging two different so called females manning the phone that just did not give a damn about my breathing. So I'm sitting here on my concentrator and it makes a loud noise and spits out this awful odor! So now I'm totally out!!! I've got COPD very bad and I'm on oxygen 24/7 and here I sit at their mercy. Even not having any oxygen at all still gave them no sense of urgency. I will be making damn sure people loses their jobs over this and sue this damn pathetic company!!! RUN AWAY FROM THIS PLACE. THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOU!!!

This company has been a nightmare. My order was lost, then they said insurance information was missing so they couldn't process order. I don't know why they didn't call the referring Dr or me for information. It took almost a month to get the machine. I have just picked it up today and a part is missing so I have to go back tomorrow. This has been very stressful and annoying. I would not recommend this company.

Apria Healthcare Company Profile