1.09/5
  • 1 star
Based on 177 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 9, 2017

890 Apria Healthcare Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

Consumers beware! Believe the one-star reviews you read. I made the mistake of not reading them. 4 wrong orders, very hard to understand persons talking on phone, local rep says they deal with this daily and it’s out of their control. Didn’t receive bill for three months. Tells me I’m past due. Shows 7 non-covered services on bill with no explanation from them or my insurance. They just want the money!! Collection threat!! Lady working at my doctor's office told me she’d never deal with them. Oh yeah not suppose to tell me that!! Local rep told me I have the option of purchasing supplies somewhere else.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I am in an ongoing event with getting a CPAP machine replaced. About 2 months ago I began the process. My old machine was over 8 years old and had over 26500 hours on it. In CPAP years, that's a very old machine. Replacement required my physician to get with Apria Healthcare. When there was a problem with paperwork they wouldn't call back to tell the nurse what they needed. I called them and then had the nurse send them the settings and the officer notes. It was about 2 weeks and I hadn't heard from them. I called them earlier this week and went through the normal half English speaking agent who told me she would refer me to the section that handles machines. She told me they would call me that afternoon, well 5 days have past and I am going to call them and if they actually understand English maybe I can motivate these idiots.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

In the three years I have been with Apria, only three statements have arrived correctly... always showing more than copay due. This company deposits checks as soon as they get them but may wait 60-90 days before posting. And they try to get you to make auto payments your choice of paying account. NEVER DO THIS! If I had done that, I would never get my money back... This is the worst business I have had in my 81 years. Sure hope I can find another company. BTW, I have always been on time, never late, and one of their customer service people lied to Blue Cross and told them I was 3 payments behind... That might get a legal suit.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea, about a month ago. I was told by Apria that a prescription, along with the results of the sleep study, needed to be faxed over to them by my Doctor. My Doctor faxed them the required information, and I just found out Apria just cancelled my order for some reason. I paid a lot of money for a home sleep study, so I could get this CPAP machine.

This company is obviously overseas, because none of the representatives speaks good English. They are VERY uncaring people, and don't seem concerned a mistake has been made. I still don't have my CPAP machine and I guess I never will, unless I pay out-of-pocket for it. APRIA IS THE ABSOLUTELY THE WORST COMPANY TO WORK WITH - AVOID THEM AT ALL COST!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

I've been a BiPAP user for 12 years so I've used several different companies to supply my equipment over the years. When my Healthcare provider gave me Apria as a equipment supplier I read so many negative reviews that I almost rejected them. I'm so glad I did not. I could not have found a better co. To help me. They furnished me a personal consultant to make sure I got the right machine and mask for my needs and continue to check with me to make sure that my therapy is the best for me. APRIA GETS ALL "As" for the service and care they have given me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Apria Healthcare?

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I have fought with Apria numerous times because they don’t accept my insurances credit card payments. They have sent me to collections twice now without ever billing me for what they say is my out of pocket. I am on hold for 20-30 minutes before someone comes on the phone and then transfers me numerous time because I’m in the wrong department. I received a CPAP machine that our insurances purchased for me with the humidifier in the machine. Apria sent us to collection for a humidifier that the insurance already paid for. I am still fighting with them. Everyone I talk to gives me a different answer to the same question I ask. I will never recommend to anyone to do business with this company. I will be looking at other companies for my CPAP Supply needs.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I do not understand the negative reviews this company receives. In my 2 month experience they have been absolutely wonderful. Always willing to help me with the equipment or any questions I may have. Always, absolutely always, friendly and willing to put in an extra effort to satisfy my needs in making sure I have the right equipment. Jody, Tim, Kellee, Wanda, Jane... all professional and patient with my questions. Ironically, when I first learned I had to go to Apria for my Sleep Apnea needs, I called my insurance company to complain because Apria's reviews were so overwhelmingly negative. So they, in my estimation, deserve this one very positive response.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

Received 2 HEPA filters that were dark and had a black, oily substance around the top connect area. I had to spend a few nights a month away from home. Since Apria did not supply oxygen for these nights I used only my CPAP machine. I noticed I would be ill at home, but every time I went away I was fine. I thought it was something in my house, but it continued. My hose connector on my O2 machine broke so I had to get a new machine. It was then I decided to check my HEPA filter. It was filthy and had this black, oily guck at the top! I was livid and afraid for others that needed oxygen from those machines on a consistent basis. The new machine had a filthy filter, too. The greasy gunk was on the top.

I called and demanded a new one immediately. I was advised I would get it in a week or so. I raised holy heck for almost an hour. Rep said the filter was not dirty but new filters came in black casings. I advised they were opaque smoke color, could be seen through and definitely did not have an oily gunk around the top. I now have 2 filthy filters and a new one to compare! Apria does not care about how sick they make people! When I received the new filter the delivery man was very nonchalant. When I complained he asked if he had delivered the new machine then shrugged when I told him "no." I did inform him he delivered the first dirty one. A shrug again.

Like the below complaints, I have received wrong/item size and was told I could not get it replaced till next order (3 months). I have paid money to them and not received it back when insurance paid. The bill automatically rolls to collections and your credit report after 90 days, even if it is their fault. If you pay your secondary up front as they ask, you have to open a dispute, send payment proof for you and your insurance and good luck getting it back. I was forced to get this oxygen company because Medicare stopped giving contracts to all but conglomerates. Please be careful!!!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

Had my dad waiting since 2015 for his sleep apnea machine and continue to give him the runaround until yesterday 11/29/2017. They tell him that Medicare doesn't cover it. He really needs the machine and on numerous occasions they asked for the prescription to be sent in again. How does an office of medical help act so careless and have terrible organization. There was no attempt on their part to help the patient get the help he needed.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

Had a CPAP, which was leased to my insurance company from Apria. Billing was acceptable for a while, and then Apria ceased billing my insurance company for unknown reasons, while my copays continued. After missing the billing window with my insurance company, Apria decided that I should pay for their missed billing. They made my life hell, even attempting to buy Dell stuff for personal use, against my credit card. My credit card company canceled my card, because of the Dell and a deluge of other bogus charges from their stealth business headquarters in the P.I.

My card cancellation cost me time and money, until the bank sorted it out. Meanwhile, Apria kept dinging my credit. I went to Consumer Affairs, who tried their best. At every turn, I was able to prove the endless series of rather pathetic lies by Apria to Consumer Affairs. This went on for months, with harassing calls from the P.I., shunted through fake stateside phone numbers, to get you to answer the phone, with someone on the other end that didn’t speak English. Consumer Affairs finally gave up when Apria finally began to recycle their chain of lies.

To clear up our credit, we had to repay for an almost paid off CPAP, plus give them back the CPAP! After Apria signed off on everything paid, they sent us another bill for $50. Numb, we paid it. I’m not going into detail about the Olympia office that wasn’t allowed to do any financial business, or take back any of their own leased property. Nor will I go into their closed building, listed as open, with no site they’d moved to, for about eight months. After much research, I finally found their secret “new” office, with no signs, and no listings. The sole employee was shocked when I walked in. I asked him why the secrecy to avoid accountability. He simply stated, “Company policy.” Screwing over people with medical needs is about as low as it gets. I’d really love to read someday that Apria had been brought up on racketeering charges.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I ordered CPAP supplies from them. Knowing that I have to pay for them I gave them my credit card number and once I had the EOB I would get reimbursed by my HRA. They submitted a claim to my insurance but never followed through with what the insurance was asking for and so I never got an EOB. My insurance asked for them to reimburse me my money and I asked and waited and waited and finally in November I received a refund for nowhere near what I was supposed to get. This company is the worst company I have ever had to deal with. Please people if you value your money do not do business with this company. They will steal from you and then you have to bend over backwards to get the money back. I had to give 1 star but I wish I didn't have to give any.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

This is the worst company, ever, with which I've had to deal. They have shipped the wrong product. Thay have over-charged, then issued a check for the overcharge on numerous occasions over the past two plus years. Their customer representatives (I cannot refer to them as service) are difficult to understand and tend to be curt at best, rude in general. Their telephone connections are terrible. Now the Medicare's new bidding process is in place, Apria opted not to participate (thank goodness). Apria also requires any new supplier to submit a request for records. This forces me to make a special trip to the new supplier and complete yet another HIPAA form. Unfortunately no option exists to rate this company at ZERO.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

Stole over $800 out of my account without notice or authorization. I've contacted them several times about it with no return replies. DO NOT do business with this company. I have now filed charges on them with the local police department, filed a formal complaint with the attorney general.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

My doctor ordered supplies from the Apria Healthcare in Newington, CT, as normal. For the last three years, they do not follow procedures and do not bill Medicare first. This year they want a 70 late fee.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

This company will not send equipment without you giving them a credit card number even if you have healthcare. Then they have charged my credit card for what insurance is billed and will pay. Then their cs department and billing department both claim there is no way to credit the charge to your credit card till your insurance pays the bill. I have been lied to and put through to people who claimed to be supervisors, disputes department etc. All lying because if you call back in the CS rep will tell you they are just another CS rep. This company CS and billing is not even in the US so I guess that is how they get away with fraudulently charging credit cards. Buyer Beware.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Apria should NOT be in control of sick people in ANY way! I've been with them for years not wanting to but no choice. I have Kaiser and this is who they use. Not for long I PRAY! I've had nightmare experiences with them all these years and my last encounter is what I want to share. I've got COPD and I need constant oxygen and nebulizer treatments. My nebulizers went out and I needed to get new ones so my doctor sent in the Rx and this was two and a half weeks ago! Today November 14-17 my doctor, her nurses and even medical assistance has called them! At least 8 times!!! For the same exact thing MY NEBULIZERS! Still I have not heard from Apria let alone have my MUCH needed nebulizers so I give it another shot and call Apria. WHAT A JOKE! Here I sit because they all keep saying my doctor, all her nurses and even a medical assistant has all called them and ordered the wrong thing! THEY ARE LIARS!!!

This medical staff at Kaisers knows what they are doing. Apria refuses to give. All I get is, "Well doctor is wrong. Didn't get Rx, ordered wrong type of equipment," everything to keep them from looking bad!!! Hello Apria! My doctor knows damn good and well what to do!!! It is you fools that don't know so here I sit. Still no nebulizer and I now will have to go to the hospital just for a damn treatment because Apria REFUSES TO GIVE ME MY SEVERELY NEEDED NEBULIZERS! For everybody's sake try not to go to Apria and the government needs to step in and see what is really going on at Apria before someone dies because of their lack of knowledge or care!!! I have heard from others that Apria does have several lawsuits. I CAN BELIEVE IT. DON'T USE APRIA. THEY COULD CARE LESS IF YOU DIE OR NOT!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

I am on Medicare and am forced to rent an expensive Bipap before I can own it. My share is 20% or $68/mo for 13 months. Apria contacted my insurance provider and got pre-approval which was prescribed by my doctor. Apria have been incorrectly coding their claim to my insurance company and so the insurance company has rejected the claims. Apria been charging my credit card for 100% rather than the 20%. I have tried to reach them on a number of occasions. I have been put on long holds and when I do manage to reach someone, I get some ill informed person in the Philippines that is mentally incapable of understanding my problem. I'd give these clowns negative 10* if I could.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I have had problems with Apria several times in the past. The latest issue started yesterday when my oxygen equipment failed while on a trip with the Senior Center. I called Apria. They were going to send me new equipment between 5:15 and 9:15 last night. It didn't show up. I called at 10. I was told it would be put as an urgent delivery and I would receive it within 2 hours. I called again at 6 morning. I was told I would receive a call back from a technician in a few minutes. I called again at 7:15 and nothing has been done yet. Each time I explained to them I was going to be out of town and needed it before 7:30 this morning. It's after 8am and still NOTHING. Now I'm trapped at home. Apria has the market on Kaiser patients so we're stuck with them. This is one of the worst companies to do business with.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I was told that my equipment rented by Apria would be covered by insurance and that there would be no charges for the remainder of the year. This was not true, and I was charged over three hundred dollars without warning even though I had received an email with an invoice from Apria with a zero balance. For the sake of disclosure, I must say that I had been told that once the new year came, I would have to pay close attention to my accounts due to the my new deductible, however, this happened in November of 2017, one month later. There was no way for me to know that this charge would take place. They never sent a new invoice, just the one with a zero balance. I was assured in my introductory phone call that this year, there would be no charges to me, just to my insurance. Without notification of any kind, I was charged, my account became overdrawn, and that led to a series of financial issues.

If I had known that there would be charges, or co-pays, I would not have been able to place the order. I cannot afford that amount of money at this time. I attempted to resolve the issue by offering to make smaller payments, but Casandra, whom I was told was a level three lead in the problem resolution department, refused to be reasonable, informing me, "It's your responsibility to know your deductible". I am outraged at the lack of responsibility this company took to resolve the issue. I am returning the equipment and refusing to do business with such a dysfunctional organization.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Ordered supplies for my husband. Delivery person showed up at home and stated he had no supplies in his truck, but would place order upon return to office. After 10 days, on 10/30/17, called Apria and they showed no record or order. Placed order and repeated item number 3 times to person who did not speak fluent English (she repeated item number back).

On 11/4/17 received cardboard box via UPS. Wrong items were inside box. Called Apria on 11/6. They apologized and said would send correct item. PROBLEM: Asked how to return box with wrong supplies for credit; was informed that because the shipping cardboard box was opened, they could not accept return and I would have to keep the items. When asked how could customer know what was inside the box without opening it (no description on outside of box), they said that was their policy. We did not receive order number either time. We do not pay for this supplies, but this company bills Medicare and supplemental insurance.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I have called for two days now, and they have given me the runaround. I inquired about my order that was ordered in October before my wife and left for vacation and still has not come in. I called and asked and their answer was they couldn't talk to a live person with my insurance company, so they have not put in any request nothing at all, my mask is getting yellow around the cushions. This totally unacceptable behavior for them. They really do not care about anyone.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

Kaiser recommended cervical traction device. I received it from Apria. I was misinformed about the cost and when I wanted to return it the branch manager from Marietta called and left me a voicemail... Super unprofessional. She must have hate her job so much. She basically told me, "There's nothing I can do for you." That ** needs to be fired. Kaiser needs to stop doing business with this company. Bad rating and I personally know why.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

This company is run by utter scumbags. I have zero to pay through my Kaiser plan. But instead of billing Kaiser they billed me. When I tried to resolve it they sent it to collections instead. They need to be put out of business.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

The reservoir on my CPAP is leaking. When I wake there is a puddle of water on the dresser and in other places. I spent over two hours/5 phone calls to get them to say they'll send me a new one. I have reasons to doubt. One of the calls ended when they hung up on me. Another ended with a promise that someone would call me back in less than an hour. The worst was with the service tech who said I was entitled to a new tank, but I had to call and order it myself. The number he gave me was to some weird telemarketing firm that tried to sell me a satellite dish and roadside assistance. How are they still in business?

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I called and faxed my doctor's order. Several days and several calls later, this company was still trying to "verify" my insurance. I never did get the equipment through them even when I told them I needed it right away. I called another local medical supply company who was fantastic and was able to process the doctor's order the same day and even offered free delivery. Check with your insurance company.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I would give them zero stars if possible. I'm currently on the phone, going on an hour and a half now. I've received many items, wheelchair, hospital bed, commode... etc from them. Several billing issues. I called them to check on shower bars and they said they installed them. I sent over the referral. They called and I verified that insurance would cover them. They were out of stock and had to order them. Waited and waited. Finally, they just showed up at my door. I called to schedule installation and was told they couldn't install them. Then I find out insurance won't cover and they are $125 ($20 at Home Depot). They won't pick them up or credit my account. I was double billed on other items. They charge $400 a month to rent a wheelchair that I have now discovered that I can buy on Amazon for $100. Phone reps sound like they are in another country and don't speak English. Beyond frustrated with them.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

My wife is on a prescribed 15 liters of oxygen. At home she uses 2 10 liter concentrators simultaneously, attached to 2 lines which are connected to a dual lumen cannula. For her transport to and from her doctors which are 35 miles away, we use the large M tanks in our vehicle. Two weekly trips for therapy and sometimes 1 or 2 doctor's visits. The E tanks are for ambulatory once she's out of the vehicle. Two E tanks on a standard regulator will last for only about 1 1/2 hours. Pulmonary therapy provides oxygen while a patient is present. We carry extra E tanks for extended doctor's visits.

For the most part of 11 years, we have had 3 M tanks. This morning, the first person I made contact with said we weren't authorized M tanks and none were scheduled for delivery. We also have 3 Liquid Oxygen tanks for the periods when weather badly affects her breathing or should we have a power outage. In the past year or so, the delivery driver has frequently made his delivery without sufficient oxygen. Either showing up with little or no liquid oxygen, and with only 1 or no M tanks.

The driver says they can't get M tanks. BUT, he says I'm welcome to drive to their facility and get more M tanks. They aren't allowed to return with the balance until the next regularly scheduled delivery, two weeks away. I have driven the 20 miles to have our liquid tanks refilled. We're not paying for pickup. We're paying for delivery. On one occasion they failed to deliver on the scheduled day. A call to Apria revealed that they wouldn't return for 2 more weeks.

Apria Customer service is very poor. This morning, when I finally was transferred to the correct department to add M tanks to our delivery (none were scheduled), the order department picked up the line and immediately hung up. TWICE. A customer isn't allowed to talk directly with their local facility, which is where customer service should start.

Granted, we don't always empty all the tanks, but they should still come stocked with enough to meet the maximum needs of all their customers on any given delivery route. Fortunately, Apria has transferred their liquid oxygen customers to Linde Healthcare. They are punctual, they arrive with sufficient liquid oxygen, and we are told that should we run out of liquid oxygen before our next scheduled delivery that we can call and get another delivery. We can also call direct to the local facility.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

Every interaction I had with this company was related to largely unsubstantiated bills for services that were completely unsatisfactory. I am writing this review while on hold, waiting to talk to a "senior billing specialist" to ask why I am getting a bill about six months after paying every (unsubstantiated) bill I ever received - not to mention the voicemails threatening to send my bill to collections, out of the blue never having received a bill. When I checked my balance online it was 0.0, then by phone, 0.0. Now after speaking with someone, it is $283, supposedly due to a rejected statement from my insurance.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

Apria's CPAP Respiratory Therapists may not exist. In 10 months, I have requested appointments twice for mask fitting problems: Once in the first quarter of the year, the second time in September. I only received a call back from a respiratory therapist once (first quarter of the year). That appointment never was realized, however, and I gave up that time.

Regarding the September attempt to get a mask fitting, the request sent in by my doctor was never responded to. Later, I contacted his office and was told (for the first time) that I must contact Apria myself - the office staff would not follow up on this for me. I called Apria, using several more phone numbers given to me (some by the doctor's staff, some by Apria customer service staff (to reach the 'mask team' directly - those numbers only got me back to square one with the main call-in menu and the lowest level of customer service staff. The 3rd person I spoke to that day (all during one phone call), said he would have a respiratory therapist call me. I waited two weeks but was never called.

I called today and asked to speak to a supervisor. The customer service person finally agreed to get one on the line for me: After waiting 22 minutes, I was told that no supervisor was taking calls! I finally let the customer service person take me information. She promised that a respiratory therapist would call me within 24-48 hours. I pressed her for the phone number of the local office, in case no one contacted me. Unlike previous staff, she did finally give me a local number. Upon calling the number, I reached the same offshore/foreign office that all of the seven numbers I have for Apria gives me - NOT an office in my area code region, as promised. This company's management engages in false promises about service just to keep its costs down. I recommend switching to another company if at all possible.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

Kaiser referred me to this lame company... Had vacuum pump for 2 months Sep-Nov 2015. Now it's 2017, I get billed for services from Jan-Jul 2017? WTF... I've called sooo many times to review, they transferred my account to my new PPO, charged them over $3K and now charging me for services "Jan-Jul 2017" that I NEVER HAD... And said it will not affect me or my credit so they "cleared everything"... Well now under collections "REALLY". You guys are a rip-off deteriorating my peace of mind and obnoxious people trying to collect from me without proper cause...

Guess what??? You will hear from my attorney! Don't ever do business with this so called "company". It's sad how they take advantage of people going through so much suffering and still instill mental anguish by not clearing or getting their billing straight. ALL YOUR REVIEWS ARE POOR VERY NEGATIVE. Get it together. How do you stay in business? Again get me off your collections and billing status.

Apria Healthcare Company Information