Ecoquest & Alpine Air

Compare Health Products

Research top Health Products recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I had problems getting reliable repair parts for these air purifiers. I ordered 2 replacement RCI cells for my own units that I used in my home. I received parts that were damaged and broken. I sent them back and asked for a refund. They called me back after receiving the broken parts and said that they tested them before sending them to me and that I must have broken them. I tried to explain to them that I did not damage the parts. They basically called me liar and said they would not refund me. So that was $120.00 down the drain. I read articles about the health concerns of ozone at ground level. This got me wondering about the ozone produced by these air purifiers.

When I researched the way these units clean the air and the effects of ozone on the lungs something became clear to me. The Ozone from the machine attaches to the particulates in the air in your home and weighs them down causing them to drop out of the air. This is why many customers say in the beginning they noticed immediate improvement in their conditions. The problem is that over time the very element that is improving the air quality is actually harming your lungs. I had my 2 units for 10 years. In the beginning its seemed they were helping but in the last 3 years I developed an upper lung problem that persists to this day. I have not used my machines for almost a year now and the condition seems to have improved. I believe consumers should be aware of the potential long term effects of these types of purifiers.

Several years ago, someone contacted me about air purifiers and said that they were with this company called Ecoquest and that they were making a very good income by selling these products. I contacted the company and wanted more info on the company and their products and was put in touch with a Ecoquest dealer in California. He took my info and my address, then about three weeks later, a very large shipment of air purifiers, weight loss supplies, and other products were placed on my porch. NO paperwork was signed, just products dropped on my porch. Then the company sent me a bill for $3000.00 for merchandise that I never even ordered!! I declined to pay the bill since I had NOT been the one who ordered it to begin with.

Now, almost ten years later, it is still on my credit report and they have gotten a judgement against me. I will NEVER pay this and I even tried sending it back when it arrived, but Ecoquest refused to accept it. I told them to contact the Ecoquest dealer that apparently ordered this merchandise for me since he was my upline at the time, but they refused to that as well. I have since moved and threw away all but two air purifiers which never worked very well in the first place, and when on, gave me horrible headaches, when I turned them off, the headaches went away. I know that they have changed their names several times, but I knew them as Ecoquest... My name for them are scam artist and swindlers.

WARNING... stay away from this company, whatever their name may be for now. I now have bad credit and they sent this to several collection agencies and after ten years, is still being reported on my credit report. I would like to find the person who "ordered" this crap and punch him in the face. I wish I never heard of this company, or the dealer in California. Sorry, it's been so long I have forgotten his name, which is good for him.

I bought a part that did not work and tried to get replacement or refund but got no response. On Oct 5, 2015 I bought a part for air purifier (RCI/PCO Cell for FreshAir 2 with ozone) for $68.90+ $7.95 for shipping for total of $76.85. A week after receiving the part and installing it, it stopped working. I called EcoQuest and left them 3 voice mails in the next 3 weeks with no response from them. Then, I emailed them about it stating that I never got response to my 3 voice mails and they replied that they will call me back. I got a call and they requested me to send the part back. I asked them first to send me the replacement and they said that they need to check and will call me back. I never got a call back even after leaving 2 voice messages.

My parents were Ecoquest dealers from about 2001 until the company was renamed Vollara. They bought numerous air purifiers themselves, including Living Air Classic and Flair. They used one or two of these units on each of the three levels of their home for about 14 years. My parents enjoyed very good health until about two years ago. They both were quite active, ate very healthy, and never smoked. My father started noticing shortness of breath as he climbed stairs or walked for a distance. He also developed a nagging cough. His primary care physician ordered a chest X-ray and said there was a cloudiness around his heart/lungs. He was unsure of the reason. At this time, my dad was diagnosed with walking pneumonia. My mother was also diagnosed with walking pneumonia shortly afterward after some coughing and cold type symptoms, but no chest X-ray. They were given prescriptions for medications and seemed better.

A few months later, as my dad's shortness of breath worsened, and the cough persisted, my mother began noticing some pain in her chest. They went to a former family practitioner who ordered chest x-rays and CT scans. The dr. suspected pulmonary fibrosis in my father and was not sure for my mother, ordering a PET scan. He also sent them both to a pulmonary specialist. After PET scan results, the pulmonary specialist performed a bronchoscopy on my mother. She met with both of my parents a week later, and confirmed from my dad's CT scan that he had idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. This same day, she diagnosed my mother with Stage 4 Lung Cancer.

After surgery to remove fluid from the pleural space, months of chemotherapy, and much pain, my mother passed away, 9 months after diagnosis. We were all heartbroken and grieving as our dad still struggled with shortness of breath and coughing. He had been on oxygen at nights for a few months, and two weeks after our mom's death, was put on oxygen 24/7. He also started pulmonary rehab. Our dad's condition took a sharp decline 3 months ago, and my siblings and I began staying with him at all times.

After three people had questioned if the ozone air purifiers might be a cause of both of my parents' lung problems, my husband and I began research and turned off the machines that were still on. My dad passed away three weeks ago, only six months after my mom. I do not know the cause of their lung problems, and it could have been a combination of factors, but I feel it is my duty to caution anyone against using ozone air purifiers, regardless of who the manufacturer is.

Paid $388.00 for an EcoQuest Air Freshener Aug 2008 and turned it on about 6 times. This 7th time the panel lit up but it would not turn on. When I purchased it I was told the company would do repairs if I would send it back. Now they say they do NOT do repairs. The gent said it probably was a transistor on the motherboard. Called every electronic co in Tyler, Best Buy, Sears and A/C companies. They do not work on them. Don't waste your money.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ecoquest?

For more information about reviews on please visit our FAQ.

We call because our ice maker stopped filling with water, so the first thought was since we had recently had maintenance on the system (Oh BTW your yearly maintenance serviceman dropped the ball and left us with a canister that had mold in it. For months I was tasting mold and thought it was Vegas water. Instead it was in the tank and I had to call you to change it.) I think that should have been caught, and would have been the purpose, in part, behind the yearly maintenance. But we were decent. We did not pitch a fit or make threats. We lived to talk about it. You did change it out after we called and so we moved on.

Then the ice maker stops working. So before I pay $25 an hour for a handyman to troubleshoot an ice maker I figure I would call and have you come out and make sure that in changing the tank there was not air or some other reason for the water to stop flowing. We were NOT told on the call to schedule an appointment, that if there was nothing wrong you would charge a service call. Nor is there anything written anywhere on your website. There is no paperwork, agreement, contract or even a leaflet given at the time of startup that states your policies for your customers to know that you charge a service fee.

Since we have had you for a while my mother gave permission for automatic withdrawals of the service fee every month. So a few days ago she saw you took $115 more out of her account than what you should have. There was no notice, no invoice, no mailing, not even a lousy phone call to tell her that you were deducting this amount of money. Now you say that the repair person told her that she was going to be charged $115. First I was here that day in the office and he never said anything about any charge. He never gave her any receipt, invoice, nothing. Not to mention that if you are going to charge a service call you do not schedule and perform the service call and THEN disclose you are charging the person. It's like taking your car to a repair center for them to troubleshoot and then get billed for repairs that you did not authorize. It is illegal. Not to mention unethical.

Then it took you a day and 1/2 to call her back and tell her there was nothing you could do for her. So did you discuss this with Andy ** first? And if so Mr. ** you should be ashamed of yourself conducting business in this manner. I am shocked -- after so many years with your company, to have my mother treated this way is reprehensible. So this is what I am going to do: I am reporting this to Consumer Affairs, also to the FTC, and the BBB. And then because there is no record anywhere of this charge and no disclosure was done on the day we called I am looking into reporting it as a criminal matter since you took it upon yourself to access her bank account and remove money that you were not given permission to do!

Now how do I know that this fee was never disclosed? I will tell you. I decided for the time being not to do anything about the ice maker and we called you to see if they could come and disconnect the line to the refrigerator so the water would not sit in it. We were told on that call that to have someone come out for that it would be $150 and then an additional $150 to hook it back up. And you were told to forget it. Which is the same thing you would have been told had you disclosed that fee on the first call we made 1 week earlier. If we knew you charged a fee why would we call back, and then tell you to forget it. And finally, the poor training of your service technician's leaving a mold-infested tank and your manager Jackie's total lack of empathy of my mom's situation not to mention basically calling her a liar makes me wonder whatever changes you have made at this company is definitely not for the better!!!

Although these air purifiers are expensive is an understatement. Be advised these units are made with the technology used by NASA in their laboratories and on the ISS (International Space Station) and NOAA and a host of other federal agencies and is the best on the market IF the sales rep had the proper training and understood the operations of the different units. As a former rep myself I never had any issues because I attended one of the companies "Air Quality" seminars to get my certification to properly inform the client of the units (whichever one they bought) would be used to its full potential without any disruption of service. A properly trained rep can and will ensure that these units will do what they say.

I had my own service agreement to service these units while I was in the business but matters beyond my control prevented me from continuing on with my business as an Independent Representative. The best thing I can suggest the buyer or anyone having issues is to read the manual and or call the ECOquest help line. I still use the Duct Worx in my home and the UV bulb had just burnt out and I am ordering new bulbs for it but it does its job and I am thoroughly happy with it, but it is best used with a whole house unit to get the best effect and prevent the "sick house" syndrome.

I ordered a battery and charger from their website before Christmas. I received the charger with no batteries. I contacted them on Dec 27, 2014 by phone but got a recording to leave my number and someone would call back. No one called. I gave them the benefit of the doubt because of the holidays.

I called again Jan 9 and spoke to Igor. I sent another email per his request. He said I should hear from him on Mon. That was three days ago. I called again today and the call went directly to Igor. He claims he never received the email I sent from home. I resent it and sent a copy to my job so that I could send it with a sent and read receipt. Again, giving them the benefit of the doubt, I called back to tell him I sent the email and guess what? I got the recorded message to leave a message -- which I did.

That's when I found this site and decided to send this in. If I get a satisfactory reply from this company, I will probably never do business with them again. I will let you know what happens.

In 2013 I order one that cost me $250 and got one that was cheaper and didn't work. I call him up and he said to send it back to him and he send me the one I order. I sent it back to him and I NEVER GOT THE ONE I ORDER. I call him many of times and left message that I didn't get it. I'm 91 years old and I can't afford to buy new one. I NEED IT SO I CAN FEEL BETTER. Please help me get my money back.

I called this company and talked to one of their customer service reps in order to order the correct 7 x 7 filters my FreshAir 2 machine sold by EcoQuestAir. They provided me with the SKU number of the filter and said I could order them online. I did order them online and they sent me the wrong filters. I called the company and told them they send me the wrong filters. The apologized, asked me for the serial number on my machine and said they would resend the correct filters. All this time I kept telling them the filter size I needed was 7" x 7". They said these would be the correct filters and sent me another set. Again the filters arrived incorrect. Once again they were 7.5" x 9" not 7" x 7".

I finally got in touch with the company manager (???) and talked to David who insisted on knowing the name of the person I had talked to weeks ago before he could make it right. When I finally gave him the name he refused to make it right anyway saying it was my fault!!!! Really???? I called to get the correct SKU number, they provided me with the wrong one yet it is my fault??? I asked him how many times did I have to give the measurements 7" x7" for them to get the correct filters for me. Poor customer service, Obnoxious sales person"David", Lack of integrity are a few of the things that come to mind when I think about this company. Save your money. Don't buy an EcoQuestAir.. Go somewhere where they treat their customers with respect and not like fools.

I have a dozen or so Ecoquest machines. All of them are junk. The parts are low quality and regular repairs are needed. I strongly advise against buying any of their machines.

I ordered material that subsequently was not needed. The rudeness and unresponsiveness from the company was appalling. While they took my merchandise back finally, they charged me a $22 restocking charge! Here is the response I received from them when I questioned this..."If you read our policy, you know we did more for you than we could by the policy and you are still not happy. We did not have to honor that refund, but we did. Here is another sample when you try to do good for a customer, but it is not appreciated." I have never been spoken to this way by any company that I have ever done business with. Nonetheless, I will never do business with them again.

Since the time I purchased my expensive FreshAir Ecoquest air purifier in 2007 until now, I have gotten little or no support. At first it was just inconvenience. Now the purifier has stopped working and I take it EcoQuest is out of business. I desperately need an air purifier but don't know which brand or manufacturer to trust given that paying several hundred dollars with EcoQuest did not amount to a serviceable warranty.

I guess I've been one of the lucky ones but I bought my Alpine XL-15 over 17 years ago and had sent it in once after a couple of years for the ozone controller knob and have had fairly good success with my unit. I made sure I had to clean the ozone plates every 5-6 months and have done a complete wipe down a few years ago. The ozone generator would work with spotty results (I can tell by the sound of the current on the plates) and I just changed plates the other day and it's back up to speed. I have it set to the minimum so I just start to hear the electrical current running against the plates and just barely smell the ozone which I found long ago is all that's needed.

Like I said, I guess I was lucky to have gotten my unit when their quality control was good. I've since heard of a lot of horror stories only after I ordered a Fresh Air Spectrum UVX Air Purifier, supposedly new in the box on eBay, since I sure wasn't going to pay full price for these things. I also ordered new plates for the XL-15. So we'll see what goes. I may be back with another review. Who knows? I don't doubt your complaints. I've heard similar stories over the years. Maybe you can all get together somehow and form a class action suit? They certainly are not playing fair. Good luck!

The Ecoquest 2.1 air purifier machine stopped working and the company is not in business. It should be under warranty. No info on warranty available.

This unit is two years old and should still be under warranty! It cost a lot of money and is broken and will not run. I only get the runaround about fixing it. Fix my air purifier.

I bought two machines in 2004 from a wonderful sales rep. I've had wonderful results with both machines used in four different houses and have replaced parts as needed following the recommended maintenance practices. They're worn out and the sales rep with whom I have to deal is so unpleasant that I've quit ordering parts and fear that I'll never be able to get replacement machines. Unless there has been some change, those with complaints about the smell need only to carefully read their literature and use one setting when they are at home and either of the other two settings when they are away. My housekeeper asked me why our house was so much dustier than it used to be. The answer is that our machine no longer works. She used to be able to use a Swiffer duster in a 3,100 sq ft home for two weeks. Now it is dusty enough to change after just five days. My only disappointment is that I'm afraid to trust the current company because of the obnoxious foreign sales rep named Michael.

I don't remember which model I have, but it was about $600. My sister told me about the air purifiers and how well they worked in her house. She breeds Labrador retrievers, so it's not unusual for her to have lots of puppies around. Her house always smells fresh and clean, so I bought one. I have always had good luck concerning the warranty with Alpine/EcoQuest. I also have a dealer here that is awesome. My daughter has asthma and the unit has defiantly made a difference. She doesn't get sick as often when the unit is running because at the first signs of sickness, it always goes straight to her lungs. I feel that it really does make for a healthier home.

I purchased a FreshAir Buddy on April 19, 2012. I received an email from your sales department on the 30th of April 2012, with the tracking number **. I haven't received the package as of today’s date. I called UPS here and they say this is not a tracking number for UPS. You had no problem charging the amount on the credit card. Now, where is the product? I believe an immediate reply is in order.

I purchased Alpine's newest air purifier model. I have asthma and could not understand why my breathing was more labored, when I received the unit. I also noticed an odor, which was described by the company, as the smell of the air before a thunderstorm. In the opinions of my friends and family, it was awful. I called the company and was told that I should keep the unit, as the odor will decrease. The air purifier made other claims that the unit did not live up to. The unit I had did not remove bad odors from the room. I tested it with my son, as he smokes. I was very unhappy with the results, or lack thereof. I called the company and pressed the prompt for customer service. I got sales, as customer service was too busy to talk to me! I was told that a tech would call me and eventually customer service would also.

I finally gave up and called my credit card company! Finally, one of their managers called me, asking me to push buttons, and trouble shoot. There was a blue light that did not come on, so the man I spoke to realized this was not normal and asked me to return it. It cost me $58.33 to return a unit that I was very unhappy with! When I asked to be reimbursed for the postage, I was scolded by this company! They "claimed" that the unit was in perfect working condition and that I wasted their time and money! It was very condescending and unprofessional, and it was implied that I lied about the stupid blue light! I have never been treated like this by any company, ever! I believe what we do to others comes back to us, but I wish I would have known what I know now, thus I hope my experience helps someone!

I was mortified when I read what, Consumer Reports said about these types of purifiers! I now have an Austin Plus air purifier. I love it! I feel so much better now as it relates to (allergies and asthma!) give you 60 days to insure people are happy with their products! I lost my return postage, but I am very happy with my air purifier, love the air!

Like many others I am reading about, I too purchased an Ecoquest machine from an independent dealer in 2006. It worked great and I was more than pleased with it. However, it quit working about 3 months before the warranty ran out. I called my dealer and sent the machine to her. It was replaced promptly. I was told the unit came with a new warranty.

Last December, the new unit quit working. I called the dealer again and I was told the company was sold and they did not assume the responsibility of the warranties. I called Ecoquest myself and was told the same thing. Even though I was still under the warranty, I would not receive any assistance. So my take overall is that the units will work for about 3 years then stop working.

An email popped up about the fresh air surround. I did not know of the existence of this machine or what it could do. I thought that the cost was pretty steep. But my son was suffering with asthma and allergies. I was afraid that he was headed for shots because he looked so bad. And with record rain through the winter, we were looking at a pretty rough spring for him. So I took the chance to see if he would do better. And he did. His suffering gradually improved. Now a year later, he has, for the most part, stopped taking his medicine and is doing fine. I had to follow the instructions as to how to operate the machine. Be careful not to make the setting to high.

I purchased the above model (ecoquest fresh air machine) on 11-4-2011. On 11-14-2011, we were told to put the setting on the ozone machine to 3000 and leave the house for a week. Upon return and after the home had been aired out 24 hours, we were unable to occupy the home because it reeks of chlorine. Upon calling the representative, I got no help and all the company would say is that the representative had told me to put it on a setting twice what it should have been! My insurance company called the odor of ozone a pollutant and wouldn't help me. The company finally allowed a claim with their insurance company Liberty Mutual and they too have denied my claim. I have been unable to live in my home for 3 months and the ozone changed the molecular structure of everything soft in my home and lets off a horrible gas smell. So I lost my home and all my belongings and can't even find an attorney to take the case! I only wanted a solution to the smell and gases and to be paid for my belongings! I have asthma anyhow and my doctor has told me not to live there. So now with 2 homes, I am going to lose the house full of ozone damage!

Strange odor, more dust, headaches and electric bill went up over $100!

These companies are now working as GreenTech Environmental, and are peddling the newest versions of their products through distributors at trade shows, etc., using the same tactics of which Alpine was judged against. I purchased two of their largest "purifiers", and upon doing some more research, attempted to receive a refund on un-shipped products. The refund was refused, and the products will now not be shipped. There is only one word for this, theft.

I have a complaint about the following made by JoAnn of Portland, OR:

There is no model Silent Thunder LA-2400 from Atlas Air Purifier. She is mistaken and falsely accusing Atlas Air Purifier. Please remove this complaint. You can check out all of our models at our website. Thank you.

My experience with Ecoquest is (Positive) from 2005, working part time I earned an additional $8,000.00. The response was excellent; from people who had various types of health issues and bought other air purifiers. I did have some bad units, but they were replaced with no problems. There are 6 people that I sold to and became friends with and all 6 units are still working after 6 years.

To th people who complain about Ecoquest, I am curious if they ever placed more than one unit. Unless there is something that has changed in production and customer service with the company that bought Ecoquest, I don't understand how these people can make these complaints, but then people complain about Ford, Microsoft, IBM, etc... I left Ecoquest in 2005 for health reason and based on my experience, if you have the time and energy I would recommend looking into this company.

In Oct. of 2009 I purchased a Fresh Air by EcoQuest and 2 ecoboxes. They have been in use until February 21,2011 at which time I boxed all three up and discontinued use. I have had countless trouble with the smaller ones. The representative has always taken care of the problem at no cost to me until this last occurance. I have not yet heard from her.

I decided to check out what I could find out about these machines and the company EcoQuest formerly Alpine I believe. I have been ill now for about 16 months with chronic cough , wheezing, lung and nasal congestion, labored breathing, faster breathing, and eye irritation. The data I found on these ozone producing monsters was horrible!

Although undesirable physiological effects on the central nervous system, heart, and vision have been reported; the predominant physiological effect of ozone is primary irritation of the mucous membranes, which I have had ongoing the entire time I've used these machines. I wish I had done the research before I decided to purchase from EcoQuest.

I initially saw the products in use by a mutual friend who owns a small business and gave me the representative's card. This product was not accurately represented by the salesperson. I just hope my symptoms will improve with time since I have discontinued use of the machines as of February 21 of 2011.

Do not ever purchase any type of air purifying device from this company! The products are over the top expensive, do not work and warranties are not honored. Their staff are ridiculously uneducated. Save yourself hours of telephone conversations with ** customer service reps. Do not do business with this company.

In 1997, I bought an Alpine air purifier. It worked great about a year and a half ago, I decided to get a new one and found out Alpine had sold out to Ecoquest. Earl ** was a dealer and I contacted him. I bought a new machine and they gave me $100.00 for my old machine which was great, or so I thought. I didn't even have my new machine for a year and it stopped working, so we sent it back to be repaired because the new machine came with a 3-year warranty. They fixed it. Then not 6 months later it stopped working. Lo and behold, Ecoquest sold out to Volara and they will not fix my machine. They will not honor my warranty.

I think that is terrible. With the money I spent and they won't even honor the warranty! Be careful before you buy anything from this company. They shouldn't even be in business with the way they treat people. I have contacted a lot of people that started with Alpine and wanted to upgrade. I told them never to buy from this company. What a rip off!

Ecoquest & Alpine Air Company Profile