Oreck Air Purifiers

Compare Health Products

Research top Health Products recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We have owned our Oreck Air Purifier for more than eight years. We have had a bit of grief with it but every time, Oreck stood behind their machine. Twice they replaced the entire machine and twice have sent us a new Truman Cell. All we've ever had to do was call & explain what the problem was & they sent out either a new machine or cell. I don't understand what all of these other people are complaining about. I mean how much easier can it get? And how much better warranty can you get anywhere?? Eight years!! Seriously, People!

As far as cleaning goes, just buck up & get the cleaner from Oreck. I have tried many other cleaners & nothing comes close! It takes a while to dry and if it's still wet, the red light will come on immediately. We usually clean ours every two or three weeks. I LOVE this machine! It removes odors so quickly, and on the lowest speed it is still very functional and relatively quiet. We have ours in our bedroom when DH's nose gets stuffy & he says it helps hugely. I just love the fresh clean smell in the room when I walk in when he is sleeping with it on. Totally different than without it! The noise is just kind of a white noise, actually helps me sleep better because then I can't hear any other little house sounds or birds or anything. We had a Honeywell with a charcoal filter before, The Oreck is waaayyy better!

Well, the Oreck may be a noisy air purifier but it do a good job to remove smoke in my house. I smoke all day and now I can see that the air in my house so clean. It's helpful. You can check out some of good points here http://www.airpurifiersrating.com/oreck-proshield-plus-air-purifier-review/.

While reading various reviews of the ProShield Air Purifier, I noted that people were generally having a difficult time cleaning their unit thoroughly without damaging it. I am a smoker and would clean my unit once every two weeks. Unfortunately I had a house-sitter for two months and during that time the unit was on, but not cleaned. It was a mess and had completely shut down on its own. I sprayed Fantastic (original formula) between the grates and the black goo running out of it was unbelievable. Even the wires were caked.

I soaked it overnight in a basin of Fantastic diluted with water. It was effective but not completely, though the water was black. I purchased TSP in powder form, diluted it with water, soaked it overnight and WOW! No scrubbing required, though I did hold the handle on top and swished it back and forth to get the cleanser moving over the grates and wires. IMPORTANT not to scrub or insert anything within the collector cell. I let it air dry completely, reinserted into the unit and, thankfully, it's as it should be! Whew!! Hope this helps those that are in need of a solution to this problem. Consider it solved!

Positive experience with this product! Had to ship it back due to seal leakage & Oreck replaced it without a hassle or problems. Date on unit is 10300, SN AIR12GUW122735 & it has been used almost 24/7 since. Hope it continues! I would like to obtain another in hopes of the same unit durability/life span.

Purchased ORECK Dual Air Purifier at about $400.00 as I desired one which would clear a large room. Worked noisily for less than a year. It was cleaned exactly as specified by ORECK. Stopped working completely with lights flashing. Very difficult to reach ORECK, so at own expense, $33.00 shipping, I returned unit to ORECK asking for repair or replacement. ORECK threw unit back in box and returned it four days later with no explanation. Worthless unit. ORECK produces faulty units. No consumer response. Found online numerous complaints exactly same as my experience. CAUTION: DO NOT RECOMMEND ORECK PRODUCTS!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Oreck?

Oreck XL air purifier - I have 4 units strategically placed. They have been wonderful. They have reduced the dusting and truly helped so much in reducing allergens. The molds and pollens near us get quite high. They have lasted several years so far with no issues.

I am so disappointed that Oreck pulled the trick of discontinuing the filters for the Oreck air purifier that I bought. When I contacted them they just stated I needed to buy a new Oreck air purifier. Fat chance of that. Fool me once but not twice.

I purchased a new Oreck Air Purifier a year ago, it worked (if you can call it working) for 4 months. I contacted Oreck on numerous occasions, via calling their Canadian number, via chat and no one ever got back to me. Don't waste your money. Oreck products are garbage!!!

I bought this 3 years ago - was pregnant - for clean air for my baby. The first 6 hours I thought the purifier was very noisy. I continued to pursue with it. But my baby got sick and was suffering for respiratory problems. I was informed by a physician that Oreck releases ozones harmful to human lungs. I also noticed more dust landing on top of the machine, rather than getting sucked through and the amount of air blowing out the top exceeded the air being sucked in. One night I heard loud cracking sounds and noticed sparks flying from the Oreck. I’m so angry at the price I paid for such a lemon. Shame on you Oreck!

I have 2 which have work well. One started blinking which Oreck replaced, had it 6 months then it started and then followed. After doing some checking, found if you use a feather, you can clean it and it works fine. Feather came out black. I found this online.

Noisy, unless it's in the lowest speed. Not efficient with odour elimination. URL to register the product doesn't exist. The actual URL, listed at the bottom of their website, lets you fill the form and at the end it will give an error and won't submit. The chat representatives are not prepared to answer simple questions such as: 'where is the model number', 'where can I find the serial number'. The chat representative gave me their phone number to call. Said it was 24x7. Well, it's not 24x7. Left a message and will probably just return this air purifier.

I have been reading the reviews where the Oreck Air Purifier doesn't help with mold, smells, dust or people's allergies or respiration problems. The problem is not the Oreck, the problem is that you are seeking the cure for these issues using the wrong PRODUCT. You need an ozonator. The Oreck is more for smoke and things of that nature, like a fan basically. Hands down, what kills virus, bacteria, and dust mites (not just the dust but the mites themselves) is an OZONATOR. It generates O3 which is oxygen with an extra molecule = O3, and that extra molecule is what makes it unstable so it seeks bacteria, virus, dust mites, odors.

Go to amazon.com and it is quite obvious. I picked up a small ozonator for around $66 on amazon.com called "A2Z Ozone Aqua 6 Multi Purpose Ozone Generator." I smoked and had 13 cats and a dog and a room that once had mold problem - ALL SMELLS AND EVEN THE MOLD SMELL IS GONE. And this model is small and not industrial so it is not dangerous nor have dangerous output (like for instance, if you used one from a hospital).

XL purifier - I purchased two of these units from the TV ad Global Shop, 4 years ago and one still works and the other just died yesterday. It just switched itself off and will not power back on. Like other reviews here, I have to admit, there was a moldy smell before the faulty unit died in the bedroom, which the smell has now gone. There is dust on both units and around which needs wiping all the time. I would not waste money trying fix this product because I think I have wasted enough already on the snake oil salesman.

Really like our Oreck! When a hoarder moved out of our house, we did cleaning and painting, but it still stank. Also, our area was very dusty. We bought a ProShield air filter from a C. Big Box Discount Store, BECAUSE it didn't require filter replacements [just looked online -- they no longer sell them]. That was 3 years ago. It was above our budget, but I have been very glad we stretched to buy it. It has run routinely, 24/7 for the whole time we've had it, reliably reducing odors and dust. Only down-time is during cleaning. It is rather noisy, but it's "white noise"; good to help mask city noises.

OZONE??? One of our new housemates says it smells like it makes Ozone; she's afraid of breathing that, for fear of making her asthma worse. I also have asthma, but have not noticed the Oreck causing any problem... it's worse without it! Right now, I've had to shut it off, while we gather more information. Oreck product description does NOT clearly and specifically mention it producing Ozone? If it does, is that harmful to breath? The booklet mentions negative ions --is that the same as ozone?

How we use it: We all very much like that it doesn't cost for expensive filter replacements every month or few. It helps in the room it's in, and helps, to a lesser degree in other rooms in the new place, an open-flow house. If a situation creates high levels of stuff in the air, be it dust, smoke, or other, the unit needs cleaned as soon as that is abated, call that it's monthly cleaning, and start it on a new schedule.

CLEANING: I had some challenges learning to clean it properly, but once learned, it's easy. Sometimes a full soapy water cleaning; sometimes must resort to canned air to blow it out. Sometimes I use canned air between times if there's a lot of dust, and still do the monthly soapy water cleaning. A 6" to 8" long duck or chicken wing feather easily and gently gets between the layers of the Truman Cell, to help scrub off otherwise hard-to-remove grime, without damaging the thin wires on the cell; soap and water alone, fails to remove some grime off the metal plates and wires, if physical scrubbing is not done. I can't tolerate the spray cleaner product.

Grime must also be gently scrubbed off the fine wires--a soft cloth used gently, will get blackened stains from the grime on the wires. If those fine wires break, the Truman Cell needs replaced. The little brush that comes with the unit is useless to help clean the Truman cell, and barely gets into the cells on the Helios filter; that little brush can potentially damage the fine wires on the Truman Cell. But that little brush is fine on the pre-filter netting.

Commenting on one post's complaint: The person claiming to be an electrical engineer, needed to specify what the exact nature of the problem was with their unit; It would be most helpful for an Electrical engineer [the post claimed] to provide specific information on the nature of an electrical malfunction, instead of generalized ranting.

QUESTIONS/SUGGESTIONS: Oreck needs to be more clear in their product descriptions: 1. Does the ProShield Plus produce Ozone, or negative ions? Are those the same thing? 2. How does the Helios filter work, and how best to clean that? 3. Does the Helios filter replace the Odor Absorber plus filter, or does the odor absorber filter replace the Helios filter? OR, is one of those in addition to the other? 4. Why did the C Big Box Store, stop selling this model, and never sell the replacement filters or parts? 5. DOES the company simply sell just the fine wires for customers to replace? They could.

Overall, a good product!

When I bought my 1st XL Air Purifier Ionizer, it was used previously by someone who obviously never cleaned it. So I cleaned it and had no knowledge of the cell or even bothered to look at the cell construction since it was caked with dirt and dust. I couldn't even see the metal plates let alone know there were wires running across the front of them.

After running a garden hose on the cell with no luck and still had dirt covering them I grabbed a stiff brush and started to scrub on it till I saw metal shine through, I broke most debris loose and after some scrubbing bubbles bathroom cleaner I saw the bare metal plates clean as new! But then I took a closer look and saw that there were tiny wires that ran in front of those plates. 80% of them were now broken either completely broken off or were hanging on 1 end or on the middle post.

I took the cell apart and inspected what was going on with this thing. I found the cell has contacts on the sides that connect to wires that go to a transformer coupled with a high frequency device that resembled a part that connects a high voltage charge to the old CRT TV Tubes. That charge is carried by those wires and then through the cell plates. Any loss of contact will cause a fault and trigger the light. Any loose wires will short onto the cell plates and arc until the wire is burned off eventually. I attempted to rewire the cell with common thin wire. I found that the way the cell is made, they have used small cuts in the ends where the wires are held in place as the span across each plate, those cuts are then pushed back flat and this holds the wires in place.

The problem is regular soft wire like copper is easily cut by the aluminum plates when the metal is pushed back flat. I then looked at the old wires and under a high powered magnifying glass I scraped at them to find it was very shiny and was not magnetic. I determined it to possibly be made of Stainless steel. I may have been wrong but I know that the wire has to be able to resist cutting when the aluminum is set to hold it. I wasn't sure where to find Stainless wires especially that thin, but I did, it's a major part in old CRT monitors. It's used as a braided cable that it wrapped around the tube and is secured in several places. I'm not sure if it's to safely ground the tube or more to hold it in place, either way there's quite a lot of it. I cut off the tabs and unraveled several long pieces into single stands. Left it long on the ends so I could trim them easily. They didn't cut when they were locked in place and I rewired the entire cell.

One thing I noticed was they need to be stretched tightly or they will arc if they sag or have bends in them from working with them. I had to redo a few after I had it working. That machine was now cleaning the air, No red lights, no problems, arcing? Yes, when large particles enter the cell it burns them to a fine powder then it sticks to the plates. If that cell is not cleaned every 2 weeks, you will not be doing anything but moving air around. The red light is only telling you that you have lost your connection with the current flowing through that cell. If you let it go until that light comes on you'll probably never get it to work properly again. Unless you are using the cleaner they sell, you'll never have the plates surface as clean as they need to be.

That surface will no longer catch the dust once it is covered, this includes any residue left by cleaners, soap or detergents that don't rinse 100% from the surface will keep it from ever working right. It will actually collect dirt onto the residue and not to the plates. The static charge is no longer catching the dirt but the sticky residue will for a few hours to a few days. Then it will start snapping louder and more frequently. The cells will probably never be cleaned properly since the same process will be used. Those plates will need to be scrubbed to clean the surface back to bare metal.

Aluminum is a very corrosive and oxidizing metal, it's very dirty to the touch, I'm sure that everyone reading this is now thinking I'm crazy because all kinds of food and drinks come in aluminum containers! That's partially true, the actual metal is Aluminum but the aluminum never actually is exposed to the contents or even to the atmosphere at all. Except for that thin area where the tab that snaps loose the entire container is lined with a super thin coating that seals the aluminum and keeps it from oxidizing and turning your hands gray to blackish. It's easily removed and will show a clean surface for a while but will need regular cleaning, just like the cells, it makes no difference how much air passes over the plates, they will create a coating of oxidation from just sitting there. I'd say 1 month and they lose their ability to catch dust.

This is why they need to be cleaned every 2 weeks and they need to be 100% free of any residue or they will end up losing their ability to catch the dust. Make sure those contacts on the sides are clean! That's your number 1 problem, use some Emery cloth or sandpaper, nail file or scrape it with a knife. This will stop the red light problems. I used that rewired one for years until the motor wouldn't spin on low setting any more. I replaced the motor and used it for a short time then I found another like new used one. I recommend running on slowest speed for best results, also the bushings and other moving parts will last longer.

If you compare this against other machines that don't require a replacement filter, you'll find that this one does work the best but requires your attention and understanding of it to maintain peak performance. It will only collect so much dirt before it becomes ineffective, thorough cleaning every 2 weeks is required! If you don't use their cleaner then make sure you use filtered water and soaps that leave no residue, good luck finding one.

Sorry this is long but without a good explanation of what lead me to this, you would probably think I was working for them, which is not the case, I actually have another used, but newer model with a new problem and came here to see if I'm the only one that has a Truman Cell that's stuck inside and cannot be removed?! I only paid $9 for it so I'm not surprised.

Electrically unsafe junk...Absolute garbage and was lied to by the "lady" on the phone. If I was anyone, I would avoid these at all cost unless you want your house to burn down... I am an electrical engineer and these are unsafe and don't comply with Australian standards....

Had this unit for a few years, always cleaning it regularly. Now I hear the ionizer can affect those with asthma and other respiratory issues. Well my wife's breathing has deteriorating breathing function which has gotten worse in the last 2 years. Now today I'm shutting the Oreck off as the ionizer could be the factor here as I have read of the dangers of ionizing in compact places as our bedroom.

I bought an Oreck Truman Cell and within the first cleaning of cell I had nothing but trouble. The warning light kept blinking so I call Oreck customer service and they advised me to clean my Truman cell for 6 hr and air dry for 24hr. Did that, same problem. Called again, they wouldn't take my purifier back since obv it was defected and they told me to drop it off at my local Oreck store for service. Omg my gas $ and I was robbed 400$ for a machine that supposed to help my health. So I dropped it off to at a store and a month passed and they never called me. I reached out to them. They never ever worked on my device. I called Oreck and they reached out to store and they moved on the process. Couple months passed and finally got my purifier back and store blamed me for damages may I add. Rude. Not fair. Now after what 6 months my purifier clicks and crackles and the reset button to dry the cell isn't working. Frustrating and headache... I just want a brand new undamaged non-defective purifier. I was robbed 400. BEWARE of Oreck.

The filters are clean yet there is a pronounced smell building up in the bedroom where I have the XL. It's not mold (I know what that smells like). It's more like some weird chemical smell. It's so unpleasant that I'm sleeping in the guest bedroom. My partner says she doesn't smell it, but I can tell when the bedroom door is open because I can smell it from the room across the hall. What IS that?

I purchased two of the air purifiers at Costco. In less than a year they quit... but since I couldn't find a receipt they wouldn't do anything....humm... Dyson just asked for the model number and warranted two vacuums!!! Then was dumb enough to purchase another one from QVC... That quit after 5 months... they are only used at night as a fan and white noise machine! Luckily qvc is awesome for returns and I was able to send it back. These are expensive... but J U N K!!!

We had a fire in the kitchen with the electrical receptacle for the stove. I used an entire fire extinguisher and the smell and smoke filled the house. My husband is very disabled and the Oreck air machine cleaned the air in the bedroom. It was a lifesaver.

Unknown to many consumers, when purchasing on any shoppers channel on TV, you are actually paying top end price. Avoid such purchasing. This should be prohibited. Most of the time, the products are far from performing or doing exactly what the seller claims. Best way, get out and shop. Not only it is good for your health but you will witness and physically look at the product you want. Oreck FAILED TO SHIP on our purchase and never delivered this so-called free vacuum cleaner as per their advertising. Most importantly, when you call for explanations, the same Linda or Rebecca answer the phones and frankly they could not care less. You can get the same machine at Costco for a cheaper price. I guess that tells it all. Oreck is just another (?). As per my experience, not really convinced this product works (maybe in a little 2 foot square box) but hey, go spend your money and then fill out this consumer report.

I have to agree on one thing with the people at Oreck and in their words, "WELL SIR, NEXT TIME YOU BUY SOMETHING, DO YOUR DUE DILIGENCE." I WILL LEAVE THAT COMMENT FOR ALL TO TRANSLATE TO THEIR OWN OPINIONS. AS OF THE REST OF YOU, GO SHOPPING. I can guarantee you will be a happy shopper. Do not let cold air that blows out of a box make you a believer out of you because that is all it does. Good luck.

PS: this is not a complaint in the sense for any personal gain but to make people aware, in fact, a good purchase and customer satisfaction should be the manufacturer's utmost responsibility. The equipment I own are going to the recycling department. I will swallow my pill. I am saving and sparing anyone else the troubles. By the way, only had them for 3 months.

Purchased this from Toronto shopping Channel in December 2013. I have cleaned it 3 times as I am a smoker in 370 sq Ft c.o.p.d. prone. Now I cleaned and dryer it for 12 hours. Returned Truman cell to machine and after 5 minutes the red light comes on and won't go off. I doubled checked inside and other filter to make sure all of the machine was very very clean still to no avail!! QUESTION: do I really have to replace the TRUMAN CELL after such a short period of time? THE REASON WE BUY THIS TYPE so we won't have to do expensive replacements. IF ANYONE CAN Answer this I would be most grateful. I DO LIKE THIS MACHINE COMPARED TO MANY OTHERS I HAVE OWNED AT a lot HIGHER PRICE!!!

We ordered the Oreck Air Purifier last December 15, 2013 (via the shopping channel). The agreement for the payment was to pay it in installment basis for 6 months. 2 days after, I was surprised to see our credit card because they billed us for the WHOLE amount (one time payment). I contacted them right away. I spoke with someone and was told that they will do the necessary changes right away and Oreck will contact me within 1-2 business days. I never receive any calls from Oreck. I waited for a few more days since it's Christmas season and I was thinking they might be really busy. Then 2014 came, no calls, no adjustment in the bill, nothing!

I called Oreck again, spoke to someone and as usual after they got all my details, gave me reassurance that they will look into the matter immediately and call me in 1-2 business days. Since I didn't feel good on how my conversation with the Oreck rep went, I called them again and this time I was connected to a voicemail. I didn't remember the complete name but I'm very sure that the first name who made the recording was "Linda". So I left Linda a message and in the recording she mentioned that will get back to their customers in 1-2 days or a few days I'm not sure. Few days have passed, AGAIN, NOBODY CARE to call. I checked our credit card bill and nothing has been adjusted.

I called Oreck again and spoke with someone. I told the person what happened including the voicemail I had left for Linda. After explaining the same things, the person on the other line told me they will have someone look into the matter and will call me within 1-2 business days. It's been almost 2 weeks since the last time I called Oreck and as of this writing, nobody called me, and still no adjustment in the billing. It's been almost a month. WE ARE VERY MUCH DISAPPOINTED with the kind of service this company had!!! IT WAS THE WORST we ever experienced!!!

I have been running two Oreck professional air purifiers in my house for over two months, cleaned them today and there is no dust captured in filters, but the air in my house still has dust particles floating around, can be easily seen in bright sunlight. These purifiers are not doing their job. Very unhappy with them. Definitely not worth the money.

The Tower was fantastic for the first 2 years but then the wires started breaking, thereby not cleaning odors out of the room. The wires were replaced under warranty but now, within 3 months, two of the four wires are again broken and odors are present. Would like to get another brand of purifier but the Oreck is still under warranty so can't quite justify the cost of another model. However, I don't want to take the unit in for repair every 2-3 months.

We bought an Oreck Pro shield xl to improve the air quality of or daughters room because of her asthma. Within a week her symptoms improved. We could even hear that her breathing sounded better. She was more active and even looked better. Can I say how happy we were with the outcome. We live in a trailer and the air quality is poor to say the least.

BUT over a month ago it stopped running. I contacted Oreck for repair. It is under warranty and I took it in and after about three weeks I called the repair person and was told I would have to pay shipping on the part. I called Oreck and they took care of that issue. On the fourth week I called back to the repair person and was told the part now was on back order with no e.t.a. About now, my daughter was experiencing those episodes of labored breathing and poor skin color a lack of energy and so on.

I called Oreck and asked to have the unit replaced because they could not return my unit it a timely manner and because it has such a devastating effect on my daughters health. I was told that Oreck does not make any medical or heath claims. Also I was told that they would have to file a request to have the part shipped to the repair facility and when I asked how long that would take I was told it depended on the work load. I am very unhappy with Oreck's repair service or concern. It is now going on six weeks or more.

I own an Oreck XL Ultra vacuum which I purchased (fortunately) before they changed the design. I DO believe that, since they revised the design of the vacs, the quality is not nearly as good as it used to be. Long time Oreck vac owners would agree, there was no better vacuum to be had. Based on what everyone is saying nowadays about the newer ones, it's really sad. I also own one of the tabletop air purifiers and while I'm not dissatisfied with it, I can't say I'm wholly satisfied. Even before I purchased the unit, it was obvious that since they were resorting to infomercials, the quality would be questionable, at best. Used to, Oreck did NOT advertise. WHY? Because a good product, a time tested quality product, advertises itself. They used their reputable name to market crappy devices, and that's what's really sad.

My purifier has lasted for quite some time. The cleaning of the Truman cell is a hassle, a huge hassle, and it means that I must go without the unit's operation up to a full day. I depend on the unit. Also, if you want the thing really, really clean, you need to use the $15 cleaner they sell (that they conveniently left OUT of the infomercial). Only if I let the unit go for several months w/out cleaning do I see the amount of dirt and contaminates that the infomercial shows. It does pretty well for absorbing odors, but as for dust... no, it doesn't lessen the amount of dust. I think for what it is, it's a fairly good product. But to measure it to the standards by which Oreck holds it and advertises it means it's a pretty crappy device.

Last time I was in the Oreck store (from where I purchased the unit), the same sales lady told me they decided that my model's features turned out to be not so good, proceeded to show me the next newer model and tried to sell me not one, but two of them. I was so dumbfounded, so disappointed... I said, "If you know your product turned out to be bad, how dare you so cheerfully attempt to sell me another." I don't know what's worse, the quality of the products these days, or that Oreck really takes their customers for granted and thinks them stupid. I sit the fence of my stance with Oreck these days, but I'll always be among those who remember that, at one time, Oreck was... the best.

Called to find out what type of deodorizer I need. They told me they can't find my model and it does not exist. Said they would call back. That was a week ago. They do not care and service is **. I wasted 2/1/2 hours on the phone. I called both sites Canada and USA. What crap.

I purchased the air filter hoping to remove much of the dust and pet dander that the Oreck ad said would happen. Instead I have see no change in the level of dust, how I breathe (supposed to be better), or in the level of pet dander (my friend still sneezes when she comes into my condo despite that I clean it regularly). I have used the air filter cleaner, but there is never anything to clean! No matter how many weeks I run it at a time, there is never anything that comes off the air filter when I use the Oreck air filter cleaner. This product is useless, expensive, and a scam as far as I am concerned.

Oreck Air Purifiers Company Profile