Stearns & Foster Bedding

Compare Mattresses

Research top Mattresses recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

This mattress was very uncomfortable after 3 months. It had wells where you lay and left a hump in the middle causing you to not be able to roll over while sleeping. Pressure points on hips from hard mattress and dip that hurts neck and shoulders (from the top edge) after only 3 months. When I contacted Mattress One and informed them I found out my warranty was worthless essentially as you have to be able to see a 2.5 inch sag without touching it. You can touch it with a finger tip and see it. The sag is there but you can't see it because they have creatively engineered to top layer to be taut and stay high even though nothing is under it but air. I will never purchase Stearns and Foster again! Nor will I purchase from Mattress One who charges $50 to honor their warranty.

In January 2017, I decided to replace my king bed with a top of the line S & F mattress. Expecting the best from the best. The mattress came factory wrapped assuming quality control at the factory did its job. The 72 hr. window of time to make a complaint passed when the hidden defect was found glued under the pillow top on a $ 4000+ mattress. The delivery company will exchange the product for a 15% restocking fee from ME the purchaser. The Rep for S & F won't acknowledge the issue, hides behind the delivery rules and insists I pay the $600 to make right THEIR mistake.

We had purchased a Stearns and Foster mattress from Macy's a couple of years ago. I want to say about 4. Anyway the first year it went well then it came that the mattress lost all the firmness and has dents where you sleep and it became the most uncomfortable mattress ever. I have to put blankets and books to even out the bed. There are other complaints by other people. But no one wants to call you back or replace it. They even said on their commercial that they deliver free. That was a lie. It's been so mentally crazy. Never again will I purchased a mattress from Macy's again. Plus with being disabled using everything I had to purchase this mattress is so disgusting.

What a waste of $3000. I bought a S&F mattress at a dive store called Sit N Sleep 6 months ago and like other people's reviews, our King size bed developed hills and valleys - hills on the middle and sides, and valleys where we sleep. In fact the inspector came out and measured more than 2" have sunk where we sleep. Now I have to deal with S&F directly because Sit N Sleep is a joke and going out of business soon. But of course our mattress is not valid under warranty because we "didn't have a box spring" under it. I guess I should have read the entire mattress manual when I purchased it. Bye S&F. Bye SnS. Hope you both go out of business soon before other innocent people become victims of your horrible quality mattresses and customer service.

By the way, I'm convinced that all the mattresses that Sit n Sleep sells are defective - that's why the same mattress are priced lower there than higher end stores like Bloomingdale's and Macy's.

We purchased this bed (Stearns & Foster Estate Glenda King, pillow top firm mattress) brand new at Morris Home in Beavercreek, Ohio. - 2121 Harshman Road in 2013. 10 Year warranty. After 3 months of use, the bed seemed 'off.' After calling and reporting this information to Morris, we were told to wait for a call from Stearns & Foster. After getting a call back from Stearns & Foster, we were told to wait for a call back from their independent consultant in our area to schedule an appointment. It took a month after our first call to get someone to even look at our issue.

The 'indestructible' frame that was purchased with the entire bed broke. - They replaced it. The consultant took out a laser measurement tool and told us the 'dip' wasn't at a high enough percentage. (Of course the pillow top of the mattress prevented the full measurement for accuracy as it kept form.) Despite our efforts to show him as we sat on the bed, he said he was going by the 'rules.'

After 4 years of 'sleeping' (you don't tend to get a lot of sleep when you toss and turn) on a $2k mattress, my back is out of alignment and I have constant hip, neck, and shoulder pain. We've wore out our living room furniture from sleeping on it, and often times preferred the floor over this mattress. We even went to the extent to place an air mattress under the mattress to fill in the dips, long enough to fall asleep before the air mattress loses the air over the night.

We just purchased a new mattress and box springs that is memory foam and organic for $500. That is amazing. We will NEVER spend that amount of money on another bed (our very first bed purchase by the way) and will NEVER buy from Stearns & Foster again. 2/26/2017 - Upon moving the mattress out, the warranty sticker still attached. They should save some trees if they're not going to keep their word.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Stearns and Foster?

The most expensive bed I ever bought and the worst bed I ever bought. I went for what I thought was the best but unfortunately my Stearns & Foster bed is terrible! What a complete waste of thousands of dollars! The mattress is not flat all the way across, has two dips either side of a central ridge so I have to sleep in one of the dips within a 2 ft wide zone. If I try to move outside that zone it feels like I'm on a slope or a ridge. This is a king size bed btw! I contacted Sears one day outside of the 60 day return policy and they said "tough, can't help you". They sent the warranty specs but the dip has to be so ridiculously deep before they'll do anything - such a worthless warranty! Never again Sears! Never again Stearns & Foster!

We purchased this Stearns and Foster hybrid lux estate brooklet queen mattress one month ago. I was originally looking into the Beautyrest hybrid mattress. I read all kinds of reviews on Serta and Beautyrest but hadn't read any on Sterns and Foster. I went with the mattress that was most comfortable at the Sleepy Hollow Sleep Shop. I was a little nervous when I got home and looked at the reviews on Sterns and Foster. I don't think I would have purchased this mattress had I seen all these bad reviews. We are very happy with our new bed we paid $2500 on sale and just love to go to sleep at night. You can't get these beds wet. I do recommend getting a waterproof terry cloth mattress cover. So far this is the most comfortable bed and the best sleep I have ever had. Every once in a while I'm sure they make a bad mattress but I'm very happy this was not the case. Love, love, love, this bed!!!

I was worried when I read these reviews while waiting a couple weeks for delivery. I had made a $3000 mistake but after a few weeks of sleeping on the bed I have not. I sleep better than I have ever before. I use to wake up with my bum shoulder hurting and would have to flip sides 4 or 5 times a night on my old mattress. Now I don't wake up at all. If there is any negatives - it’s harder to get up for work in the morning. I don't want to get out of the thing and it could be a tad cooler but at this time I have a mattress cover on it. I may remove and go with just a sheet to see if I can feel the cool gel better. I will be back in 4 or 5 years to speak to how it holds up since the hybrids are kind of a newer breed.

We purchased a Stearns & Foster mattress in 2013 from Sunrise Surplus, which of course is now out of business. We decided it was time to buy the best, we did not need another mattress, but one of our grown children did. We gave them ours and decided to go out and buy the best of the best. It is painful to sleep in, it has also ripped around the top stitches that is connected to the top layer. It is almost ripped all the way around, it is as if it just dry-rotted overnight (weird).

Not only have I never seen such a mess, I've never dealt with a company who cared only about taking your money and not trying to do right by the consumer. I will never deal with this company again nor any of its generic companies that sell for them. You should be ashamed for taking people's hard-earned money, you should also make a better product if you are going to continue to rob folks. If you would do right by customers you would probably do a lot better in your business, but I guess if you take a thousand dollars or more from us all then you are doing well not to replace defective items. Thank you for your time and enjoy your meals on our dime.

Bought a very expensive S&F mattress. After 6 months it developed body impressions on each side pushing my wife and I to our separate sides. Instead of flat surface, we have hills and valleys, making using the mattress very uncomfortable. In fact, our 8-year old Serta was in better shape than this now 2-year old mattress. Warranty rep. told us that unless the indentations reach certain depth, there no help from the manufacturer will be coming. Never mind our discomfort. Now we're facing having to throw away this lemon and having to buy another mattress. I can guarantee that it won't be S&F!

We bought a Stearns & Foster Lux Estate California E King Mattress at Ashley's Furniture store in CA. We purchased it 3 months ago. We believed we were buying a top end mattress, but to our dissatisfaction, it wasn't. We've suffered with severe lower back pain since the day of purchase. I've tried different pillows and still have back pain. We left to Las Vegas for New Years and we slept at Aria and check what kind of mattress they had because we slept very comfortable. It was a Sealy mattress. I spent 6k on my mattress and I regret it!!! I should of checked these reviews before buying!!! NEVER AGAIN!

Purchased a S&F Luxury Estate mattress 4 years ago and it has been the worst mattress I've ever owned. Do not buy this brand. Company says it must have a 1 1/2" dip, but the padding rebounds to 1". Therefore, the manufacturer will not allow for replacement. I regret ever making this purchase. Each night is a horrible sleeping experience. I wake up in a crater daily with back and neck pain. I bought this mattress because it was supposed to be the best, but it has been a very large and expensive disappointment. If you call the manufacturer, you will get absolutely no help, but you will be treated rudely by both the customer service specialist and management, especially if you have the unfortunate luck of dealing with a person by the name of T.J. **, National Escalations & Mediation Specialist.

Tempur+Sealy. Stay away from this mattress, you will almost immediately regret your decision, I know I did. I also noticed that I am not alone in this unfortunate situation, I've recently read review after review of people having the exact same problem as I do. It is quite clear that this was a poor purchase and I recommend that you stay away from any product associated with Stearns and Foster.

Bought a Stearns & Foster Lux Estate California King Mattress at Mancini's in Modesto, Ca. We purchased it about a year and a half ago. We believed we were buying a top end mattress, but to our dissatisfaction, it wasn't. I've suffered with severe lower back since the purchase. I'd wake up several times during the night, hurting. Not connecting the pain to the mattress I scheduled an appointment with my doctor. She tested for UTI's that could lead to back pain. Tests were negative. I then began to research online and found my way to this site. Unbelievably, several others have experienced the same symptoms. To make a long story short, we had to buy a new mattress. From day one of sleeping on the new mattress there has been no pain. I really wish we could get our money back.

We bought one of the most expensive S & F mattresses and within a year had slight dip in it on each side. Within two years, much larger dip. Called the store and they sent someone out. They measured and said it was 1" and could not be exchanged. A year later, called again because it was close to 1 1/2". Sent someone again and they said not enough.

Spoke to store employee and they told me to "get two 24 to 30 case of bottle water and leave them on bed as soon as you get up. Wait until they show and quickly remove and fluff cover." They said that when you get up, the memory foam comes back but quickly goes down once you lay down. By putting the bottled water on it, it keeps it down until they show. If two cases don't do it, use 3-4 cases. It works. Really frustrating when you spend $4k and the mattress is shot within a year. That's why we buy from Costco now. They take it back if unhappy. No mattress holds up nowadays. They all get the "sink". Unless you get a firm with no pillow top. Might as well sleep on the floor. Hope that helps some people so they get to exchange it. Good luck!

A manufacturer that profits from sales of defective products that results in injury, pain & suffering should be required to compensate its victims... Otherwise we are allowing a blatant crook to continue to harm others with impunity. STEARNS AND FOSTER, SHAME ON YOU!!! We purchased a S&F Estate "Emily Rose King Prime" from Mattress Firm Co. on 8/22/2015 for $2351.85. The mattress started sagging after only a few months... we started having massive headaches, constant back pain and getting absolutely no rest. We thought this was a fluke... after all this was a "Stearns and Foster" top of the line mattress. Our call to the Mattress Firm location where we initially purchased resulted in a hands up, we are not responsible defense... no surprise there.

The warranty company required us to pay a $50 fee to have an "inspector" come to measure the depth of the sag... SERIOUSLY?! After waiting 3 weeks for our appointment (which was only available on a Sunday), and then waiting 2 more weeks for "processing" we were told the sag is not deep enough to qualify for a replacement... OMG! It's only been a year! How much longer do we have to suffer? What kind of company would require you to wait until your mattress sags to 1 1/2 inch and you suffer further injury before they will act?

Apparently from the reviews we see here, this is standard operating procedure for Stearns and Foster... We have all been given the shaft by a corporate giant! We have to come together to hold Sterns and Foster accountable for these cases of theft. Yes, theft... what other label would you put on a person who slyly takes your hard earned cash, all the while pretending they are selling you a quality product? Like we said: STEARNS AND FOSTER, SHAME ON YOU!!!

I replaced a 15 year old mattress with a $1800 Stearns and Foster Baroque Mattress. After sleeping on it for 3 months, it sags as much as the 15 year old mattress did. I am 5ft tall, 100lbs and the sagging is so bad it feels like I am sleeping in a canoe. Interestingly, with sheets on, you can see that the impressions in the bed are about 2 inches deep but without sheets you can no longer see them. As a result, I don't meet the warranty specs for replacement. DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE YOU BUY. Stearns and Foster makes terrible mattresses. Buyer beware.

Have a bad back and have been sleeping on this mattress for over ten years with no ill effects. Stearns & Foster is expensive but is also of a higher quality.

My husband's side of this mattress has completely crashed - he weighs 185 lbs. - and the foot end has pooched out several inches. This mattress is less than three years old - and we travel 3-4 months out of the year so it is not used at all during those times. The boutique store sold it as a floor model - no warranty - and offered us 1/2 price on one of their primary brand mattresses when we lodged our complaint with them within six months of purchasing the mattress. Can't afford that fix.

Bought this mattress from a department store and am still using it. Bought the same brand for my daughter. We both love our mattress. There's no sagging. We have a pillow top and still very comfortable to sleep in after all these years.

We purchased a Stearns and Foster high end mattress that cost us over 1800.00 dollars thinking it would be the best bed ever. After 6 mos. we noticed it started sagging. Our bed has zero support. You would swear this bed was worn out. You push on the sides and it sinks like 5 inches. It's the worse bed we have ever purchased. My husband and I cringe when we get into bed at night knowing we are going to have an awful sleep and wake up sore. We have finally had enough and are going to have to buy a new bed.

I'm sleeping on the couch right now and my husband is sleeping on one of our kids' old twin beds that cost a whole 100.00 ten years ago and we are having better nights sleeps. It is so pathetic!!! I can't believe Stearns and Foster can get away with making such a poor quality bed for the amount of money they charge. This is fraud!!! I will never ever buy their product again and will tell everyone I know not to. I wish I had read reviews before I ever purchased this bed!!!

We bought our Stearns and Foster Tasha mattress from Sleep Train in July 2013 for $2400. We have very big dips in each side, despite rotating the mattress monthly. All the rotating does is give us the hole the other one was sleeping in. We cannot roll uphill to the middle and struggle to roll out once we are in our divots. We also have only 1+ inch dip (while the bed is EMPTY!) and have been told that is normal. We have traveled frequently, and are always so sad to go home to our own horrible bed. We thought we shopped carefully for this bed, but clearly at 3 years the ratings go down from 5 to 1. Not sure what to do but we both have backaches and will have to replace it soon.

I have only had this mattress for only 3 years. I paid $1300.00 on sale for it at Macy's. After only a year there was a severe dip in the mattress. When I called customer service at Macy's they sent a tech to my home to inspect it. There was a 1 inch dip in the mattress when a string was put side to side. They said it had to be a 2 inch dip and to call in another year to measure again? Two years later I called again and the tech came out to measure, again side to side with a string. Still only 1 inch dip.

I took the string and measured diagonally corner to corner and it was over 1 1/2 inches dip. This time the tech said it had to be a 1 1/2 inches dip. It will never be a 1 1/2 inch dip measuring side to side. Both sides will go down equally because of how our body weight is distributed and most time is spent in the middle third of the mattress! This is a horrible mattress and dealing with the company is even worse. Do not purchase a mattress manufactured from Stearns & Foster.

We purchased a split King Stearns and Foster 2 months ago, I plainly asked if the mattress would move and leave a gap between mattresses, they said no, they do move and a gap of 4-6 inches between everyday. I am very upset as we paid $7000.00 for this.

We purchased a king size mattress on clearance made by Stearns & Fosters from Slumberland. The "top of line" mattress still costed us $1.470,00 but we thought it was a good deal considering its quality appearance and brand. We have had that for less than three months and the mattress sides have sagged and as you get in bed you sink into a hole as the mattress has degraded. We have been experiencing back pain and going to bed has become very unpleasant. This mattress must have a design issue on its springs as they collapse with light weight losing support. We were told by Slumberland that this product cannot be returned because it was on clearance, so now we have no destination to this trash.

My son and I both bought Stearns and Foster mattresses and box springs - which were quite expensive. The company we bought them from went out of business. Stearns and Foster told me I had to replace my bed frame before they would replace it. I did that, and so far nothing but a big runaround. My son's complaint still has not been addressed. I will never ever buy a Stearns and Foster Mattress set again. I originally had a Beauty Rest which lasted over 25 years... the Stearns and Foster are approximately three years old and problems from the get go. We submitted photos and measurements for both mattresses sets.

Mattress was breaking down after one year 1" slope/valley, edges breaking down, valley on each side, mountain in the middle. I actually can feel the coils individually, and I roll back into the valley. So, when you turn the mattress you're turning it back to the other valley. I talk to Art Van. They sent out another mattress tech two years into the sale same thing. I explain I paid a little more than 2,000.00 on sale at Art Van two years ago. These are the worse mattresses I've ever own. No one wants to honor the warranty. The memory foam goes back to its original shape except for the 1", but the rest of the mattress does not!

Bought a Walnut Grove Luxury Cushion Firm Mattress made by Stearns & Foster in Sears 2 years ago, and it is killing us (back and hips pain to both my husband and me). We spent $1509,99 in a mattress that is supposed to have a 10 year warranty, and is already sunk in the middle. When asked Sears about the issue, they said we have to show a distortion of 1.5 inches if we want the mattress to be consider for warranty. The problem is that it has a 2 inches pillow top (foam and quilt) that cover the distortion caused for the bad quality coils of the mattress. Long story short: STAY AWAY FROM.

Our mattress is about a year old and is breaking down. We have a hump down the middle and soft spots on both sides of the bed, possibly a collapsed coil spring. The first 3 months the mattress was very nice and now it rates only a 1 star. The store where we bought it has been out 3 times to look at it. The last time they said that the body impressions are only at 1" and their standard is 1 1/2". They said that the only thing that they can do is for us to keep sleeping on it and call them back out in a couple of months. Neither myself or my husband can get a good night's sleep on this mattress and we don't have the funds to just go and buy a new one since they are expensive. We thought that this one was supposed to be a quality mattress, but there is no way that it should be breaking down this quickly.

We purchased the Stearns and Foster Whitegate Firm full size Mattress from Havertys in May 2011. It was great for two years and then the center began to sag a bit. By five years, the sag is 3/4 of an inch, noticeable and causes the sleepers to fall to the middle. The edge is still high with the metal rim that is under the edge. Needless to say, having an expensive mattress for 5 years and then having to buy another mattress is not acceptable. The 10 year warranty states that the sag must be 1 and half inches to make a claim. This mattress was turned every 3 months and we are not heavy people. I decided that I would search for a two-sided mattress so that I would not have to deal with issues with one-sided mattresses that cannot be flipped. Found ones online that are manufactured for hotels. Really disappointed in Stearns and Foster for the lack of quality of their mattresses.

My wife and I purchasing a Stearns and Foster from El Dorado 4 years ago and the inside support got bad (according to the inspector). We filed the claim with the manufacturer and this is why they are declining the process. "We have received the inspection results on your Stearns and Foster sleep set. The pictures that were sent in by the inspector indicates that there are no manufacturing defects present in your sleep set at this time. Unfortunately the body impressions in your mattress are less than 1.5 inches in depth, the mattress would not be considered to be defective." Do yourself a favor and move to another manufacturer. My recommendation is not to buy Stearns and Foster.

Expert Review

Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.Mattress Contributing Editor

Michael J. Breus, Ph.D., known as The Sleep Doctor, is a Clinical Psychologist and both a Diplomate of the American Board of Sleep Medicine and a Fellow of The American Academy of Sleep Medicine. He is on the clinical advisory board of The Dr. Oz Show and is a regular contributor on the show. He is also the author of several books, including The Sleep Doctor’s Diet Plan: Lose Weight Through Better Sleep (Rodale Books; 2011) and Good Night: The Sleep Doctor’s 4-Week Program to Better Sleep and Better Health (Dutton/Penguin; 2006). Dr. Breus has been featured on several national media outlets, including The Today Show, The CBS Early Show and Psychology Today.    More about Michael J.→

Stearns & Foster specializes in luxury beds made by certified craftsmen with the highest-quality materials. The mattresses can be more expensive than other brands but are very well crafted.

• High quality: Stearns & Foster is known for its very high-quality mattresses and the excellent materials used to make them.
  • Retail stores: Customers can visit one of the many retail stores around the country to test the mattresses before purchasing.
  • Support: It has customer support available during the weekdays and excellent in-person support at the retail stores.
  • Preferences: Customers can choose from a wide range of models, including memory foam, innerspring and hybrid mattresses of varying firmness.
  • Warranty: It offers a high-level warranty ensuring the mattress will last for years to come. The company will replace it if it proves defective in any way.
  • Best for Sterns & Foster mattresses are best for professionals.

Compare Mattresses