Stearns & Foster Bedding
1.43/5

Need a good mattress?

Stearns & Foster Bedding Reviews

351 Stearns & Foster Bedding Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 16, 2019

This mattress is about 15 years old, used for one person, and is still in great condition. I vacuum it maybe once a month. Has kept its shape with very little change. The worst thing is that it is way too heavy for me to turn or flip on my own. Moderately firm with pillow top.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I have a firm mattress with a pillowtop. It gives me great support and I can sink into it... It's a very heavy mattress and needs to be rotated every three months. I have zero back pain and love, love, love to sleep in it.

Get expert buying tips about Mattresses delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

When I tried the mattress in the store, I felt immediate relief from back pain. I researched mattresses before shopping and Stearns & Foster is the highest rated mattress with the longest warranty. It felt like the mattress was custom made just for me!

Original review: June 8, 2018

My mattress is made very well. It's by Stearns and Foster and it sleeps me well. It's the best the quality, comfort, and the beauty. Let's not forget price. Stearns & Foster is United States made and it does not get any better for me.

Original review: June 5, 2018

This is one of the better mattresses I have purchased over the years. It seems to remain durable and you can flip it over which really comes in handy. Next time, I will spend more to get a better mattress.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Stearns and Foster?

Original review: April 25, 2019

We purchased the S&F because we wanted the best that money can buy. Unfortunately this mattress is not it. When the company delivered the mattress it was beautiful. Almost too nice to put sheets on, but that all changed in a few days, months and years. The bed started sagging after about 1 month. It's been all downhill from there (literally). The hole is so deep, that I stopped sleeping in the bed years ago, but my wife tried to tough it out. She finally gave up when her back got so bad that she now takes pain medication. She weighs about 135lbs so this highly priced mattress only created a hole in our pockets and a hole in the bed.

If you are looking for long lasting quality, DO NOT! buy this mattress. BTW, customer service is non existent and your 10 year warranty... LOL. The store will tell you to call S&F, then they will explain to you what they are not going to do. So please do yourself a favor and spend your money on a quality mattress for far less money and back aches...and no black holes.

Original review: April 23, 2019

After spending literally 2900.00 about 3 years ago this mattress now sinks in the middle. I can’t get any rest and my back hurts each morning I wake. When I purchased this mattress I was told it was the best. I weight 136 so no reason why it should now sink. DON’T PURCHASE. A TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY!

Original review: April 15, 2019

If you are thinking about buying a Stearns and Foster mattress for the the quality you might as well flush your $2000.00 down the toilet!! This is the poorest quality mattress I have ever owned!! After 1 year it started sagging and now after 3 years it has a hole on the right and on the left. Looks like ** after I make the bed. You would think that a top of the line mattress would last longer than 3 years. It will definitely not be replaced with another Stearns and Foster. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!!!

Original review: April 12, 2019

We aren’t heavy people and our new mattress was horrible in less than a year. Customer service was nonexistent and a waste of my call. I had wanted that mattress for a long time. What a major disappointment.

Original review: April 3, 2019

The mattress was a nightmare. It began to form a large lump down the center & when I contacted the Sleepteks America, Inc regarding my concern, I was extremely disappointed with their response & service. I have not & will not purchase a Stearns & Foster mattress ever again.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

12/2016 we spent 2,400+ on new queen size mattress. The bed is sagging and uncomfortable and creates body pain. We should have read these reviews before purchasing. We will look into a warranty claim but based on other reviews it seems like a futile effort. Buyer beware.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Recent purchases (within past 10 years) of S&F mattresses have shown us that those purchased through Sleepys, now Mattress Firm are crap. After a couple of years, these became so soft that we were sleeping in holes and woke up numerous times during the night due to back and hip pain. Ain't good, especially when you pay over $2K per mattress. King Size Michela was first and replaced in 2013 with the Tinsley.

So, we put in a claim explaining this to S&F both times. First one had a dent more than 1.5", the second didn't last as long, being so soft could support our bodies, even though not permanent indentation of 1.5". We explained this and the fact that customer support person told us they had issues with Sleepy's storing their mattresses improperly and are not selling to them any longer, S&F denied our recent claim last month. We will never buy another S&F mattress and recommend the same to you. We like our new mattress - NOT a Stearns and Foster!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

When brand new you will think it’s the greatest mattress ever. Give it a few months and you will wake up suffocating down into a hole, your remotes, dog, partner, everyone will be sucked down into this sinkhole created by whatever mush they make the bed from. Is there a way to fix this? Anyone have ideas? I’ll squirt expandable foam inside, something to firm up this thing, what a piece of **. Don't buy!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

After 2 years of using the mattress I notice an indentation and is really getting worst every time. I will have to spend another $2000 again. What a waste of money and time. Next time I will review very well before getting another product.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

My husband and I are still paying off this mattress and already it has indents from where we sleep. It is insanely uncomfortable and for the first time ever my back is in so much pain and I find it extremely difficult to sleep at night. The reviews on here for this mattress are absolutely terrible and I sure wish I could go back in time and see this before making such a terrible purchase. We were naïve and believed this was a quality company but apparently we couldn't have been more wrong.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I am a chronic illness and chronic pain patient, and have searched all of the year of 2018 for the perfect mattress for my damaged body. I had previously purchased 2 Stearns & Foster mattresses, but that was when I was well and preferred a firm bed. I purchased the Lux Estate mattress in early July, so the 120 day 100% warranty exchange or return is almost up.

It’s useless to test beds in a store anymore. I don’t know what happens during manufacturing, but this is not the same bed I tried out, and I’ve run into this problem more than once this year. I can’t keep buying and returning mattresses, but I can’t continue to toss and turn in pain all night, not getting enough or quality sleep either.

I bought an organic Latex 3” topper with an organic cotton cover. Hopefully that will help me sleep better. I’m so exhausted throughout the day, I have to push hard to do anything, and I’m disabled, so that makes everything so much more difficult. In short: the manufacturers are making these beds so tight and firm now, that it’s useless to buy an innerspring mattress anymore. Hybrid or not.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I bought this mattress thinking that I was buying the best. I have a bad back so I felt that paying for this supposed quality was well worth it. The mattress looks beautiful, but within 3 months, I noticed that my side of the bed felt like I was in a hole while the other side was very firm and quite noticeably different. I called for a mattress inspection. I was told that it wasn't bad enough. The hole has continued to worsen. My back is always sore and my sleep is terrible. If I roll out of the "hole"...it feels as if I'm on a slope. I called for another inspection and once again I was told that nothing noticeable was wrong with the mattress. I've wasted almost $2000 and now I need to go invest in another brand mattress. This company is difficult to deal with and the quality disappointing to say the very least.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I have had my Stearns & Foster mattress for 5 years. I got a medium firmness with a medium depth pillow top. Very comfortable for the first few years. I began noticing over time where I lay on it, I was creating a body indentation. Now it's to the point that if I try to lay outside of the indentation, I roll into it as I sleep. This is a real problem. Granted I knew the comfort of the pillow top would decrease over time...what doesn't give in that's padded? But this goes beyond that level to the inside support sagging. I feel pretty cheated and disappointed as it has a 10 year warranty. It looks good aesthetically and will not fail the warranty 2" guidelines, but really is becoming uncomfortable.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

We purchased this mattress and could only keep it for a couple years due to the discomfort we were experiencing. The sales representatives told us this was a high quality mattress that would provide comfort for many years. We were betrayed by the online ratings at the time and by the company we purchased it from. The mattress had body impressions that did not meet the standard for replacement. It seems the company knows exactly how deep the body impressions will occur and have set the warranty to just a bit more to avoid responsibility. PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE A STEARNS AND FOSTER MATTRESS. YOU WILL REGRET IT.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I bought the Stearns & Foster mattress at TheBay in Canada...owned it not even 2 years and mattress feels like crap!!! Was firm when I bought it. Now it's softened...called the company and told them that it feels horrible, they quickly responded that they don't warranty comfort??? I was like wtf??? I get up with lower back pains and sore legs which I never had before. No my lifestyle hasn't changed and I exercise as usual. Do yourself a favor. Buy yourself a memory foam mattress. Even a cheap mattress I bought for 300$ on Amazon is much better. I now have a Stearns & Foster mattress ready for the garbage. So sad...

Original review: July 29, 2018

Bought the Stearns and Foster Tinsley Estate Mattress from Sleepy's 2 years ago. Worst Mattress I have ever owned. Stearns and Foster replaced mattress After making me jump through Hoops, (Sleepy's was bought out and new company doesn't carry Stearns and Foster). New Mattress is the Estate La Fiorentini IV Luxury Cushion Firm. It has been 2 weeks. Mattress has lump in middle. Will be shocked if this one lasts more than 6 Months. Stearns and Foster is owned by Tempur-Pedic, who also owns Sealy. Will never again buy a Stearns and Foster, Tempur-Pedic or Sealy mattress. Worst support for a mattress I have ever seen and no durability.

Original review: July 12, 2018

We bought Stearns & Foster king size bedding at Star Furniture Sugar Land TX. After 1 year bed has sag 1 inch. Stearns & Foster is refusing to do anything. The warranty will only cover after mattress will sag 1 and half inches. Please don't buy expensive bed from stearns and foster like I did. Company will not stand behind. Worst customer service. We paid $3100. Not worth it at all.

Original review: July 5, 2018

Stearns and Foster is Horrible. We bought our mattress from Ashley Home furniture. We Spent around $2800 for next to the top of the line mattress, the one on the showroom was not too soft and not too firm, but after we received it was so hard, and of course Ashley does not offer a 90 or 180 sleep guarantee. My mistake... We bought $150 pillows and the mattress pad protector that I have accidentally spilled my coffee on (DOES NOT PROTECT).

I went to Ashley Furniture store and complained and they said I need to let it break in to give it a year, so for a year I had headaches, when I woke up now it's our back and hips, feel like we are old people. The pits are horrible! We have turned the mattress every way we can. My husband has to sleep on the sofa because it hurts him so bad! He just had cancer surgery and horrible he can't sleep in his own bed! For a bed we spend almost $3000 for! But JUST A FYI THERE IS A CLASS ACTION AGAINST SEVERAL of the mattress companies. They need to step up and do the right thing... & when people are spending that kind of money, they expect QUALITY!!!

Original review: June 18, 2018

I deeply regret purchasing this mattress. It is not good quality. It has only been 11 months since I purchase and it sags from all 4 edges despite the fact that my husband and I rotate the mattress. It has a lump right in the middle of it. I called Brandsmart to find out to check out the mattress, a technician came out to my house and explained to me that they only consider a mattress defected if it has an inch and a half sag. That's insane! I called Stearns and Foster directly and they simply told me they cannot help me that I have to work with Brandsmart directly. Stearns and Forster do not care about their clients and do not stand by the product. I am extremely disappointed and will not purchase a mattress at Brandsmart ever again.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Great mattress, offers firm support yet very comfortable. Price was not exorbitant like many of their competitors. Would buy another mattress from Stearns & Foster Bedding.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Purchased the Stearns and Foster Pillowtop Lux Estate 2 years ago. Offers excellent support, pillowtop is holding up great. Best of all I am getting a great night's sleep.

Original review: May 26, 2018

This is my second Stearns and Foster mattress, my first one lasted over 20 years. The one we have now is great, it's built well and the inside layers help support our backs. I wouldn't buy any other brand.

Original review: May 25, 2018

Less than two years with constant rotation and the Stearns & Foster bed sags, there's a lump between myself and my husband. His shoulders hurt and my hips hurt. It's not a full 2 inches so the warranty isn't doing us any good.

Original review: May 24, 2018

This is my 2nd Stearns & Foster mattress. The first did sag during the warranty period. It was inspected and replaced very quickly. I did pay more to upgrade at that time. The replacement mattress has served me beautifully for over 10 years now and is extremely comfortable, no sagging. Tip: Always use top quality mattress cover! When they inspect, they look for stains, and that can void your warranty.

Original review: April 20, 2018

We bought this king size Stearns & Foster mattress from Sears. At the Sears showroom the mattress looked comfortable and we really liked it. But just after a week we noticed the mattress tends to sag. We went to Sears and they tried to educate that this mattress is designed to behave in such manner - that it adjusts according to the body shape. Now, after couple more week the problem got worse. WIth sagging it became really uncomfortable and I started noticing back pain.

We looked at the warranty and found it include mattress sagging with the limit of 1.5 inch. It also provided a process to measure it. We followed their process and the measurement came out little less than 1.5 inch of sagging at some locations. We sent this information along with the measurement picture to Sears. The reply we received from Sears was most astonishing. It was - aha gotcha. They said because it is less than 1.5 inch it is not covered by the warranty. Now the question is - if the mattress shows clear sign of sagging, close to their warranty limit, in just couple of months, isn't it a problem? With hindsight, it would have been far better if had bought a regular mattress at half the price. Our 10 years old mattress, that we replaced with new Sterns & Bear was far better.

Stearns and Foster expert review by Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.

Stearns & Foster specializes in luxury beds made by certified craftsmen with the highest-quality materials. The mattresses can be more expensive than other brands but are very well crafted.

• High quality: Stearns & Foster is known for its very high-quality mattresses and the excellent materials used to make them.

• Retail stores: Customers can visit one of the many retail stores around the country to test the mattresses before purchasing.

• Support: It has customer support available during the weekdays and excellent in-person support at the retail stores.

• Preferences: Customers can choose from a wide range of models, including memory foam, innerspring and hybrid mattresses of varying firmness.

• Warranty: It offers a high-level warranty ensuring the mattress will last for years to come. The company will replace it if it proves defective in any way.

• Best for: Sterns & Foster mattresses are best for professionals.

Profile picture of Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.
    Michael J. Breus, Ph.D. Mattress Contributing Editor

Michael J. Breus, Ph.D., known as The Sleep Doctor, is a Clinical Psychologist and both a Diplomate of the American Board of Sleep Medicine and a Fellow of The American Academy of Sleep Medicine. He is on the clinical advisory board of The Dr. Oz Show and is a regular contributor on the show. He is also the author of several books, including The Sleep Doctor’s Diet Plan: Lose Weight Through Better Sleep (Rodale Books; 2011) and Good Night: The Sleep Doctor’s 4-Week Program to Better Sleep and Better Health (Dutton/Penguin; 2006). Dr. Breus has been featured on several national media outlets, including The Today Show, The CBS Early Show and Psychology Today.

Stearns & Foster Bedding Company Information