Stearns & Foster Bedding

Compare Mattresses

Research top Mattresses recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We bought a Stearns & Foster Lux Estate California E King Mattress at Ashley's Furniture store in CA. We purchased it 3 months ago. We believed we were buying a top end mattress, but to our dissatisfaction, it wasn't. We've suffered with severe lower back pain since the day of purchase. I've tried different pillows and still have back pain. We left to Las Vegas for New Years and we slept at Aria and check what kind of mattress they had because we slept very comfortable. It was a Sealy mattress. I spent 6k on my mattress and I regret it!!! I should of checked these reviews before buying!!! NEVER AGAIN!

Purchased a S&F Luxury Estate mattress 4 years ago and it has been the worst mattress I've ever owned. Do not buy this brand. Company says it must have a 1 1/2" dip, but the padding rebounds to 1". Therefore, the manufacturer will not allow for replacement. I regret ever making this purchase. Each night is a horrible sleeping experience. I wake up in a crater daily with back and neck pain. I bought this mattress because it was supposed to be the best, but it has been a very large and expensive disappointment. If you call the manufacturer, you will get absolutely no help, but you will be treated rudely by both the customer service specialist and management, especially if you have the unfortunate luck of dealing with a person by the name of T.J. **, National Escalations & Mediation Specialist.

Tempur+Sealy. Stay away from this mattress, you will almost immediately regret your decision, I know I did. I also noticed that I am not alone in this unfortunate situation, I've recently read review after review of people having the exact same problem as I do. It is quite clear that this was a poor purchase and I recommend that you stay away from any product associated with Stearns and Foster.

Bought a Stearns & Foster Lux Estate California King Mattress at Mancini's in Modesto, Ca. We purchased it about a year and a half ago. We believed we were buying a top end mattress, but to our dissatisfaction, it wasn't. I've suffered with severe lower back since the purchase. I'd wake up several times during the night, hurting. Not connecting the pain to the mattress I scheduled an appointment with my doctor. She tested for UTI's that could lead to back pain. Tests were negative. I then began to research online and found my way to this site. Unbelievably, several others have experienced the same symptoms. To make a long story short, we had to buy a new mattress. From day one of sleeping on the new mattress there has been no pain. I really wish we could get our money back.

We bought one of the most expensive S & F mattresses and within a year had slight dip in it on each side. Within two years, much larger dip. Called the store and they sent someone out. They measured and said it was 1" and could not be exchanged. A year later, called again because it was close to 1 1/2". Sent someone again and they said not enough.

Spoke to store employee and they told me to "get two 24 to 30 case of bottle water and leave them on bed as soon as you get up. Wait until they show and quickly remove and fluff cover." They said that when you get up, the memory foam comes back but quickly goes down once you lay down. By putting the bottled water on it, it keeps it down until they show. If two cases don't do it, use 3-4 cases. It works. Really frustrating when you spend $4k and the mattress is shot within a year. That's why we buy from Costco now. They take it back if unhappy. No mattress holds up nowadays. They all get the "sink". Unless you get a firm with no pillow top. Might as well sleep on the floor. Hope that helps some people so they get to exchange it. Good luck!

A manufacturer that profits from sales of defective products that results in injury, pain & suffering should be required to compensate its victims... Otherwise we are allowing a blatant crook to continue to harm others with impunity. STEARNS AND FOSTER, SHAME ON YOU!!! We purchased a S&F Estate "Emily Rose King Prime" from Mattress Firm Co. on 8/22/2015 for $2351.85. The mattress started sagging after only a few months... we started having massive headaches, constant back pain and getting absolutely no rest. We thought this was a fluke... after all this was a "Stearns and Foster" top of the line mattress. Our call to the Mattress Firm location where we initially purchased resulted in a hands up, we are not responsible defense... no surprise there.

The warranty company required us to pay a $50 fee to have an "inspector" come to measure the depth of the sag... SERIOUSLY?! After waiting 3 weeks for our appointment (which was only available on a Sunday), and then waiting 2 more weeks for "processing" we were told the sag is not deep enough to qualify for a replacement... OMG! It's only been a year! How much longer do we have to suffer? What kind of company would require you to wait until your mattress sags to 1 1/2 inch and you suffer further injury before they will act?

Apparently from the reviews we see here, this is standard operating procedure for Stearns and Foster... We have all been given the shaft by a corporate giant! We have to come together to hold Sterns and Foster accountable for these cases of theft. Yes, theft... what other label would you put on a person who slyly takes your hard earned cash, all the while pretending they are selling you a quality product? Like we said: STEARNS AND FOSTER, SHAME ON YOU!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Stearns and Foster?

I replaced a 15 year old mattress with a $1800 Stearns and Foster Baroque Mattress. After sleeping on it for 3 months, it sags as much as the 15 year old mattress did. I am 5ft tall, 100lbs and the sagging is so bad it feels like I am sleeping in a canoe. Interestingly, with sheets on, you can see that the impressions in the bed are about 2 inches deep but without sheets you can no longer see them. As a result, I don't meet the warranty specs for replacement. DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE YOU BUY. Stearns and Foster makes terrible mattresses. Buyer beware.

My husband's side of this mattress has completely crashed - he weighs 185 lbs. - and the foot end has pooched out several inches. This mattress is less than three years old - and we travel 3-4 months out of the year so it is not used at all during those times. The boutique store sold it as a floor model - no warranty - and offered us 1/2 price on one of their primary brand mattresses when we lodged our complaint with them within six months of purchasing the mattress. Can't afford that fix.

Bought this mattress from a department store and am still using it. Bought the same brand for my daughter. We both love our mattress. There's no sagging. We have a pillow top and still very comfortable to sleep in after all these years.

We purchased a Stearns and Foster high end mattress that cost us over 1800.00 dollars thinking it would be the best bed ever. After 6 mos. we noticed it started sagging. Our bed has zero support. You would swear this bed was worn out. You push on the sides and it sinks like 5 inches. It's the worse bed we have ever purchased. My husband and I cringe when we get into bed at night knowing we are going to have an awful sleep and wake up sore. We have finally had enough and are going to have to buy a new bed.

I'm sleeping on the couch right now and my husband is sleeping on one of our kids' old twin beds that cost a whole 100.00 ten years ago and we are having better nights sleeps. It is so pathetic!!! I can't believe Stearns and Foster can get away with making such a poor quality bed for the amount of money they charge. This is fraud!!! I will never ever buy their product again and will tell everyone I know not to. I wish I had read reviews before I ever purchased this bed!!!

We bought our Stearns and Foster Tasha mattress from Sleep Train in July 2013 for $2400. We have very big dips in each side, despite rotating the mattress monthly. All the rotating does is give us the hole the other one was sleeping in. We cannot roll uphill to the middle and struggle to roll out once we are in our divots. We also have only 1+ inch dip (while the bed is EMPTY!) and have been told that is normal. We have traveled frequently, and are always so sad to go home to our own horrible bed. We thought we shopped carefully for this bed, but clearly at 3 years the ratings go down from 5 to 1. Not sure what to do but we both have backaches and will have to replace it soon.

I have only had this mattress for only 3 years. I paid $1300.00 on sale for it at Macy's. After only a year there was a severe dip in the mattress. When I called customer service at Macy's they sent a tech to my home to inspect it. There was a 1 inch dip in the mattress when a string was put side to side. They said it had to be a 2 inch dip and to call in another year to measure again? Two years later I called again and the tech came out to measure, again side to side with a string. Still only 1 inch dip.

I took the string and measured diagonally corner to corner and it was over 1 1/2 inches dip. This time the tech said it had to be a 1 1/2 inches dip. It will never be a 1 1/2 inch dip measuring side to side. Both sides will go down equally because of how our body weight is distributed and most time is spent in the middle third of the mattress! This is a horrible mattress and dealing with the company is even worse. Do not purchase a mattress manufactured from Stearns & Foster.

We purchased a split King Stearns and Foster 2 months ago, I plainly asked if the mattress would move and leave a gap between mattresses, they said no, they do move and a gap of 4-6 inches between everyday. I am very upset as we paid $7000.00 for this.

We purchased a king size mattress on clearance made by Stearns & Fosters from Slumberland. The "top of line" mattress still costed us $1.470,00 but we thought it was a good deal considering its quality appearance and brand. We have had that for less than three months and the mattress sides have sagged and as you get in bed you sink into a hole as the mattress has degraded. We have been experiencing back pain and going to bed has become very unpleasant. This mattress must have a design issue on its springs as they collapse with light weight losing support. We were told by Slumberland that this product cannot be returned because it was on clearance, so now we have no destination to this trash.

My son and I both bought Stearns and Foster mattresses and box springs - which were quite expensive. The company we bought them from went out of business. Stearns and Foster told me I had to replace my bed frame before they would replace it. I did that, and so far nothing but a big runaround. My son's complaint still has not been addressed. I will never ever buy a Stearns and Foster Mattress set again. I originally had a Beauty Rest which lasted over 25 years... the Stearns and Foster are approximately three years old and problems from the get go. We submitted photos and measurements for both mattresses sets.

Mattress was breaking down after one year 1" slope/valley, edges breaking down, valley on each side, mountain in the middle. I actually can feel the coils individually, and I roll back into the valley. So, when you turn the mattress you're turning it back to the other valley. I talk to Art Van. They sent out another mattress tech two years into the sale same thing. I explain I paid a little more than 2,000.00 on sale at Art Van two years ago. These are the worse mattresses I've ever own. No one wants to honor the warranty. The memory foam goes back to its original shape except for the 1", but the rest of the mattress does not!

Bought a Walnut Grove Luxury Cushion Firm Mattress made by Stearns & Foster in Sears 2 years ago, and it is killing us (back and hips pain to both my husband and me). We spent $1509,99 in a mattress that is supposed to have a 10 year warranty, and is already sunk in the middle. When asked Sears about the issue, they said we have to show a distortion of 1.5 inches if we want the mattress to be consider for warranty. The problem is that it has a 2 inches pillow top (foam and quilt) that cover the distortion caused for the bad quality coils of the mattress. Long story short: STAY AWAY FROM.

Our mattress is about a year old and is breaking down. We have a hump down the middle and soft spots on both sides of the bed, possibly a collapsed coil spring. The first 3 months the mattress was very nice and now it rates only a 1 star. The store where we bought it has been out 3 times to look at it. The last time they said that the body impressions are only at 1" and their standard is 1 1/2". They said that the only thing that they can do is for us to keep sleeping on it and call them back out in a couple of months. Neither myself or my husband can get a good night's sleep on this mattress and we don't have the funds to just go and buy a new one since they are expensive. We thought that this one was supposed to be a quality mattress, but there is no way that it should be breaking down this quickly.

We purchased the Stearns and Foster Whitegate Firm full size Mattress from Havertys in May 2011. It was great for two years and then the center began to sag a bit. By five years, the sag is 3/4 of an inch, noticeable and causes the sleepers to fall to the middle. The edge is still high with the metal rim that is under the edge. Needless to say, having an expensive mattress for 5 years and then having to buy another mattress is not acceptable. The 10 year warranty states that the sag must be 1 and half inches to make a claim. This mattress was turned every 3 months and we are not heavy people. I decided that I would search for a two-sided mattress so that I would not have to deal with issues with one-sided mattresses that cannot be flipped. Found ones online that are manufactured for hotels. Really disappointed in Stearns and Foster for the lack of quality of their mattresses.

My wife and I purchasing a Stearns and Foster from El Dorado 4 years ago and the inside support got bad (according to the inspector). We filed the claim with the manufacturer and this is why they are declining the process. "We have received the inspection results on your Stearns and Foster sleep set. The pictures that were sent in by the inspector indicates that there are no manufacturing defects present in your sleep set at this time. Unfortunately the body impressions in your mattress are less than 1.5 inches in depth, the mattress would not be considered to be defective." Do yourself a favor and move to another manufacturer. My recommendation is not to buy Stearns and Foster.

Approximately one year ago, we bought the Stearns & Foster brand thinking it was a reputable name. I'm seriously disappointed in the quality of this bed. Not more than a month after our purchase I noticed it was sagging. I flipped the mattress around & again it began to sag. I never had back pain, I now wake with pain and have difficulty moving. I would encourage everyone to read these reviews prior to purchasing. The location where we bought this from went out of business. Unhappy in PA. :(

We purchased a Stearns and Foster bed 8 years ago. It was the top of the line bed in the store. A few months and the body impressions became so significant. We both wake up with back pain in the morning. We called the warranty department and they advised the impressions had to be a certain depth before they would replace the mattress, we had to wait several years before they finally agreed to replace it. When getting the replacement mattress they assured us the technology was better and we would not have the same experience. Within a few months of receiving the replacement - same issue. Huge body impressions and back pain! Customer service advised the process is the same as before. We are stuck with craters in our mattress for several years until the divots meet their standards. Save yourself the time and pain, don't buy a Stearns and Foster!!!

My wife and I looked and tried many different mattress before purchasing a Stearns and Foster from Sears. Within two weeks we felt the mattress was way softer than the sample tried in the store. We talked to Sears who said if it sinks below 2 inches it might be covered. The mattress looks fine until you get in bed where you sink into a hole which is hard to roll out of. Back and neck and hip pains are the result of sleeping on a Stearns and Foster mattress which price tag exceeded $2500 dollars. Do yourself a favor and move to another manufacturer. My recommendation is not to buy Stearns and Foster.

We purchased our Stearns & Foster set in 2005. We have been so happy with it that we know it's time for a new set. We have no complaints other than the middle is starting to break down, but after this many years, I would say we definitely got our money worth. Hoping our next set will be as good as the first.

I bought the Hannah Grace mattress at JC Penney at the Mothers' Day Sale May 2016. Once it was delivered, the latex had a super strong odor lasting for a few weeks, had to open the windows. By the 2nd week a huge sagging depression appeared. I slept alone on the mattress for 35 days before reporting, I am 5'3" and petite. I turned the mattress thinking the memory foam would rejuvenate. Wrong. Another sagging depression developed.

I submitted the warranty claim. JC Penney sent out the inspector and he measures over a 1.5 inch indentation. JC Penney is replacing the entire mattress and box spring per manufacturer defect. If it happens again with replacement, I will have to exchange for a different brand, especially reading ConsumerAffairs reviews. I am concerned that the display mattresses are a much higher quality and not the same product prepared for the customers. I am sorely disappointed in the Stearns and Fosters product. It has been a nuisance to go through the warranty process. I feel the display misrepresented the actual product. We'll see how long the new mattress lasts? I will be careful to report defects with immediacy!

We purchased a Stearns & Foster mattress at Ashley because it was billed as "top of the line." After just 3 months, going to bed has been an ordeal. The bed traps you like quicksand. There is a huge depression that sucks you into the center. My husband and I have been experiencing neck and back pains ever since. We have filed a claim with Ashley against the warranty and have been told that a "mattress specialist" will be coming out to assess the situation. If it is found to have a manufacturer's defect it will be replaced otherwise, we're out of luck!

In 1955 I was working at Stearns & Foster in Lockland, Ohio. I was interest in a new mattress so the boss let me make my own. I put extra padding in it so it would be good and firm. It turn out that my mattress was with me for and I will admit longer than most people stay married, probably about 20 years. Then after that we purchase a Select comfort and sleep on air which we been using for 39 years, and by the way we been married for 59 years. So my point is yes, S&F are good mattress. No order, just responding to all the negative reports.

Susie King Mattress - We purchased this mattress 4 years ago and for the last 2 years it has been sagging on both sides. I am an average sized female, 138 lbs. A complaint along with numerous photos to the Stearns & Foster rep, Tim **, was rejected because the two indentations are not at least 1 1/2 inches! We will be following this claim but wanted to get the word out, DO NOT BUY STEARNS AND FOSTER!!

Terrible mattress! I've had it less than two months and there is a ridge down the middle of the mattress, and I am sleeping in a bit of a depressed hole. Horrible. I can't imagine what this will be like in two years! Sending it back to Macy's. Yuck, yuck, yuck.

Bought a king size Stearns & Foster sleep set. This is the worst mattress I've ever purchased $1,400 paid. From night 1 my lower back began hurting. Would never again select a Stearns & Foster mattress for my personal sleep set.

We were told when we purchased our mattress 3 yrs ago that it was GUARANTEED for 10 yrs and if we did not like it or defective in any way, it would be replace. When I went to look for our paperwork on it, I discovered there was not any written guarantee and that it says SERTA, not Stearns & Foster. So we paid all that extra money for a Stearns & Foster when in fact it is made by SERTA? Anyway, like many of the reviews I just read, it started sagging last year and no support for my back at all. Is there any such thing as the 10 yr guarantee as we were told? I am doubtful, but guess we were another vulnerable customer. Very disappointed with the mattress for the money spent. Thanks.

Expert Review

Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.Mattress Contributing Editor

Michael J. Breus, Ph.D., known as The Sleep Doctor, is a Clinical Psychologist and both a Diplomate of the American Board of Sleep Medicine and a Fellow of The American Academy of Sleep Medicine. He is on the clinical advisory board of The Dr. Oz Show and is a regular contributor on the show. He is also the author of several books, including The Sleep Doctor’s Diet Plan: Lose Weight Through Better Sleep (Rodale Books; 2011) and Good Night: The Sleep Doctor’s 4-Week Program to Better Sleep and Better Health (Dutton/Penguin; 2006). Dr. Breus has been featured on several national media outlets, including The Today Show, The CBS Early Show and Psychology Today.    More about Michael J.→

Stearns & Foster specializes in luxury beds made by certified craftsmen with the highest-quality materials. The mattresses can be more expensive than other brands but are very well crafted.

• High quality: Stearns & Foster is known for its very high-quality mattresses and the excellent materials used to make them.
  • Retail stores: Customers can visit one of the many retail stores around the country to test the mattresses before purchasing.
  • Support: It has customer support available during the weekdays and excellent in-person support at the retail stores.
  • Preferences: Customers can choose from a wide range of models, including memory foam, innerspring and hybrid mattresses of varying firmness.
  • Warranty: It offers a high-level warranty ensuring the mattress will last for years to come. The company will replace it if it proves defective in any way.
  • Best for Sterns & Foster mattresses are best for professionals.

Compare Mattresses