Stearns & Foster Bedding
Based on 326 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a good mattress?

Stearns & Foster Bedding Reviews

332 Stearns & Foster Bedding Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 12, 2018

We bought Stearns & Foster king size bedding at Star Furniture Sugar Land TX. After 1 year bed has sag 1 inch. Stearns & Foster is refusing to do anything. The warranty will only cover after mattress will sag 1 and half inches. Please don't buy expensive bed from stearns and foster like I did. Company will not stand behind. Worst customer service. We paid $3100. Not worth it at all.

Original review: July 5, 2018

Stearns and Foster is Horrible. We bought our mattress from Ashley Home furniture. We Spent around $2800 for next to the top of the line mattress, the one on the showroom was not too soft and not too firm, but after we received it was so hard, and of course Ashley does not offer a 90 or 180 sleep guarantee. My mistake... We bought $150 pillows and the mattress pad protector that I have accidentally spilled my coffee on (DOES NOT PROTECT).

I went to Ashley Furniture store and complained and they said I need to let it break in to give it a year, so for a year I had headaches, when I woke up now it's our back and hips, feel like we are old people. The pits are horrible! We have turned the mattress every way we can. My husband has to sleep on the sofa because it hurts him so bad! He just had cancer surgery and horrible he can't sleep in his own bed! For a bed we spend almost $3000 for! But JUST A FYI THERE IS A CLASS ACTION AGAINST SEVERAL of the mattress companies. They need to step up and do the right thing... & when people are spending that kind of money, they expect QUALITY!!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: June 18, 2018

I deeply regret purchasing this mattress. It is not good quality. It has only been 11 months since I purchase and it sags from all 4 edges despite the fact that my husband and I rotate the mattress. It has a lump right in the middle of it. I called Brandsmart to find out to check out the mattress, a technician came out to my house and explained to me that they only consider a mattress defected if it has an inch and a half sag. That's insane! I called Stearns and Foster directly and they simply told me they cannot help me that I have to work with Brandsmart directly. Stearns and Forster do not care about their clients and do not stand by the product. I am extremely disappointed and will not purchase a mattress at Brandsmart ever again.

Original review: June 8, 2018

My mattress is made very well. It's by Stearns and Foster and it sleeps me well. It's the best the quality, comfort, and the beauty. Let's not forget price. Stearns & Foster is United States made and it does not get any better for me.

Original review: June 5, 2018

This is one of the better mattresses I have purchased over the years. It seems to remain durable and you can flip it over which really comes in handy. Next time, I will spend more to get a better mattress.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Stearns and Foster?

Original review: May 31, 2018

Great mattress, offers firm support yet very comfortable. Price was not exorbitant like many of their competitors. Would buy another mattress from Stearns & Foster Bedding.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Purchased the Stearns and Foster Pillowtop Lux Estate 2 years ago. Offers excellent support, pillowtop is holding up great. Best of all I am getting a great night's sleep.

Original review: May 26, 2018

This is my second Stearns and Foster mattress, my first one lasted over 20 years. The one we have now is great, it's built well and the inside layers help support our backs. I wouldn't buy any other brand.

Original review: May 25, 2018

Less than two years with constant rotation and the Stearns & Foster bed sags, there's a lump between myself and my husband. His shoulders hurt and my hips hurt. It's not a full 2 inches so the warranty isn't doing us any good.

Original review: May 24, 2018

This is my 2nd Stearns & Foster mattress. The first did sag during the warranty period. It was inspected and replaced very quickly. I did pay more to upgrade at that time. The replacement mattress has served me beautifully for over 10 years now and is extremely comfortable, no sagging. Tip: Always use top quality mattress cover! When they inspect, they look for stains, and that can void your warranty.

Original review: April 20, 2018

We bought this king size Stearns & Foster mattress from Sears. At the Sears showroom the mattress looked comfortable and we really liked it. But just after a week we noticed the mattress tends to sag. We went to Sears and they tried to educate that this mattress is designed to behave in such manner - that it adjusts according to the body shape. Now, after couple more week the problem got worse. WIth sagging it became really uncomfortable and I started noticing back pain.

We looked at the warranty and found it include mattress sagging with the limit of 1.5 inch. It also provided a process to measure it. We followed their process and the measurement came out little less than 1.5 inch of sagging at some locations. We sent this information along with the measurement picture to Sears. The reply we received from Sears was most astonishing. It was - aha gotcha. They said because it is less than 1.5 inch it is not covered by the warranty. Now the question is - if the mattress shows clear sign of sagging, close to their warranty limit, in just couple of months, isn't it a problem? With hindsight, it would have been far better if had bought a regular mattress at half the price. Our 10 years old mattress, that we replaced with new Sterns & Bear was far better.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

Bought the top of the line Stearns & Foster King ($4,500.00) Mattress & box spring from Sears. It's been 2 months now and the "Buttons" on the bed are still sticking me. I wake up constantly with body pain in areas where the buttons were installed. I thought it was me at first getting used to a new bed. It's not! We were told initially that we wouldn't feel the buttons, my mistake for believing it. If I return it, it will cost an arm and a leg with all the deductions and fine print. We will try a memory foam cover on top, hope that works. Bad design, what a mistake!!!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

Terrible mattress, even worse customer service and They do not stand by warranty. This is my email to S&F customer service "I purchase a new mattress and box spring at Sears on 01.05.2018 and after getting it to my home it is tear on stitches in 6 places mostly by the handles and corners. It happens when I just lift it by the handles because the mattress is really heavy. I was hoping to buy a high quality mattress, instead it tear easily like the cheapest one, I didn't even have chance to sleep on it yet. I'm really disappointed. I'm looking forward to solve that from your side. I also attached some photos." And this is Tina response from S&F customer service "Thank you for contacting us. Sorry to hear that you are having an issue with your sleep set. The retailer that you purchased from will handle all warranty issues or concerns. Please contact Sears customer service at..."

Really? I don't think Sears is responsible for Stearns & Foster products!!! They don't make them. You are!!! Value of my mattress is $ 4,5 at S&F I checked online and see each comes with a 10 year warranty then I register my mattress at your website. They do not stand by warranty. I am guessing that warranty just look nice when someone is buying your product. THAT'S ALL! Enjoy picture of "high quality S&F" mattress! Think twice before you are going to purchase something from them.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

Best mattress I have ever bought. Sleeps cool and comfortable. I've had MANY MANY mattresses and NONE of them have even compared. Just bought another one for my guest room! Would recommend to anyone who wants a soft but supportive bed.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

I purchased a Stearns and Foster mattress, model "Estate Walnut Grove, Luxury Firm Euro Pillowtop" from Sears. It is supposedly a "memory foam" mattress. My partner and I have our own valleys in which we must sleep, because the memory foam does not ever recover. I would not buy it if I had known.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I bought a mattress from El Dorado Furniture on 9/30/2013 with 10 years of guarantee. The mattress sunk in the middle, I took a picture, copied the original purchase invoice and filed a claim with the manufacturer on 8/30/2017. The manufacturer send me back an email with instructions to first file my claim with the vendor, if they still represent the manufacturer. I checked online, they did, so I contacted the salesperson. She filed my claim and since then they were giving me the rounds until today 10/16/17, they tell me to go back to the manufacturer for my claim.

I contacted the manufacturer again, (they already have the picture and the original invoice), and now they are asking me to send more pictures so they can decide if they'll send somebody or not to verify my claim! I explained to the rep that I am sick, old, and unable to take the pictures they requested but they claim that they need to verify "the authenticity" of the mattress? Doesn’t that appears in the invoice? I feel they are giving me the rounds too, so I need help from you to how I can proceed please. I am retired, my fixed income is SSA and reading Google reviews this manufacturer Stearns & Foster has a lot of complaints! Please I really appreciate your help! Do you know how can I get my mattress replaced. Never been in this situation before and I am not well to handle it now!

Updated on 03/14/2018: I'm still dealing with the ordeal of my defective mattress since my first claim to Stearns & Foster Bedding on October 2017! I finally got an inspection done and they agreed with the validity of my claim, however they are placing unacceptable conditions to do a replacement, such as I can't get a replacement in a local store. According to Sealy I can only choose certain models and after I do, I need to notify them, so "they will manufacture one for me". I need to pay for delivery and disposal of the defective mattress, and the warranty for the replacement is limited and it doesn't include comfort! In other words, whatever they send me, after it is delivered, If it is not good, I lost my rights to a claim! I have placed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau for both the manufacturer and the local store where I purchased the mattress.

THIS I SUGGEST YOU TO DO IF YOU ARE HAVING A PROBLEM LIKE THIS WITH THIS MANUFACTURER! I see in this website that are many people with complaints about their mattress too! At this point I am waiting to hear from BBB, which so far have been very helpful. My terms for replacement are very reasonable: Full credit for my original purchase with the local store El Dorado Furniture. Be able to choose any mattress model, and be able to get it directly from the local store with the full warranty provided to any new purchase. Delivery and disposal at no charge!

At this point I am ready to seek legal advice if they don't approved my terms. At the end they probably will end up paying much more and who knows maybe even a class action lawsuit comes out of all this! My advice again to all with a complaint with this manufacturer is to file a claim with BBB first and then see what happens! They should not be allowed to do this to anyone! I will keep you posted on my case!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

Purchased a top of the line Stearns and Foster king mattress with twin adjustable bases. It's clear on the receipt that I have twin support bases. Less than a year it's caving in - I sent pictures of damaged mattress which was close to 200 pounds - they say I have to remove mattress and take pictures of the bases. I purchased it because of bad back and now I need to lift a 200lb mattress according to the customer service supervisor Ledya or that's it. Am I suppose to hire a moving company for hundreds of dollars? Who does one ask to come and lift a mattress that takes two moving men to deliver just to take pictures - is this how stearns and foster gets out of the warranty?

If you are purchasing this high priced GARBAGE - do so without any confidence in the warranty or make sure you buy a mattress that you can lift easily because they will do anything NOT to back up their warranty. BTW: when I told Ledya Of customer service that I could not lift the mattress, refer to the receipt for the base support, her response was, "We will wait for the pictures." Great customer service. Buy anything but Stearns and Foster and get specifics on how the warranty is executed. A disgrace.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

Twice I sent all pictures and information to the company regarding the seams falling out. They kept telling me there was no indentation in the seven year old mattress. Finally they understand that it's the seam on the mattress and they said it isn't a manufacture defect. Really it's the seam. Not even an offer for discount toward a new mattress, just there is nothing we can do. This company doesn't stand behind their product. The seams coming out is a manufacture defect!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

March 2013 we purchased the Stearns and Foster "Nancy" luxury firm euro pillowtop - $2000.00 out the door. The uncomfortable sag become irritant August/September 2015 (mattress 2 1/2 years old) to the point that I called the store that we purchased from to be told that if the sag was less than "1 1/2 inches" nothing could be done. In June 2017 we threw "Nancy" out. It had become a back breaker.

The sag that had developed in that mattress in four years was sheer misery. I dreaded getting into bed at night. On a freshly made up bed the sag(s) on both my side and my husband's side was visible although it did not measure "1 1/2 inches" deep. I believe the industry "standard" is that a mattress is suppose to last 9-10 years. That Stearns and Foster piece of junk was on its way to the dump in 4. I gotta say though - unmade up bed that was a good looking mattress: the coloring, the stitching, the grab straps - very pleasing to the eyes - just don't use it for sleeping.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

Bought a S&F Lily Rose from Mattress Firm. "FIRM" should not even be mentioned because it is one of the worst, saggiest mattresses ever. The first one was "defective" with holes the size of softballs in the pillow top. MF replaced it and the new one sags in the center, like a U. I had to have a custom wooden support made by my moving guys but it still sags. MF said I needed to pay $75 for someone to come inspect it. What a load of crap. I paid $1800+ and have constant backaches. MF no longer sells S&F and I cannot even sell the mattress online because NO ONE wants it and it weighs a ton. I sleep better on an air mattress in a tent than I do with this.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

Mattress Firm has only queen beds on display. Queens are built differently from Kings, so I find out. I've bought a 2500$ king bed. First mattress developed pits on both sides. There is a mountain of very hard padding in the middle. The more you sink into the pits over time. They gave me another to replace and it does the same thing. On a cold night it is almost impossible to get close to your partner. I hate the mattress and the company. A "Lin" inv customer service refuses to let anyone contact management. I just get spun with benign excuses. I will never buy from this company again. When asked why the Sterns and Foster King mattresses in motels are so comfortable, this "Lin" tells me that motel mattresses are made different. Hence, there is a issue in design. Do they want to do anything about it? NO!

I want a full refund, and get another brand of bed that not sold by fraudulent means (queen to try in store). Warranty said after the first bed, that mountain in the center was a fluke and would not happen again, HA! I've jumped on the mountain in the center, I had my kids jump on it, I placed very heavy weights to break down the hard mountain, and I considering driving my Tahoe across the middle of the bed to break down the mountain. DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY, POOR PRODUCTS AND NO C.E.O. THAT GIVES A DARN TO BE ACCESSIBLE TO CUSTOMER ISSUES.

Resolution response: Aug. 28, 2017

After 5.5 years the mattress sagged the required 1.5 inches so that Haverty's agreed to replace the mattress. I got a serta mattress. The box spring was not replaced. My point being just wait and this mattress will reach the 1.5 inches. It actually sank the rest of the way pretty much on its own. We bought a new mattress and it was only slept on intermittently by my daughters when they came home. The way they test the mattress is to put some weights on the two ends of a string and drop it over the bed then use a block of wood with a ruler glued to it to place on the bed. I just made my own device and kept checking it monthly.

Original review: July 25, 2017

We bought this mattress (Stearns and Foster Whitegate Luxury firm) and within 5 years it started to have a sag in the middle. The sag is so bad two people cannot sleep on the mattress without rolling to the middle. I had the seller come out and check the mattress because there is a 10 year warranty. It has a 1" sag. The warranty will not kick in without a 1.5 inch sag. Bought a Serta mattress to replace this one and am keep it in another room until it gets a 1.5 sag so I can at least get something back for this bad purchase. Lesson do not buy Stearns and Foster.

Original review: July 23, 2017

Bought a king size Stearns and Foster pillow top Cora mattress... not even 3 years and the mattress is sinking in so bad it's uncomfortable. Our previous mattress was a queen size Simmons Beautyrest Do Not Disturb. We had that mattress when our first son was born. He is still using that mattress and he is 18! No problems with it sinking or losing shape. This Stearns and Foster mattress cost double the price and we have to get rid of it after 3 years! Not worth the money. Mattress is garbage! We kept a cover on it to abide to warranty requirements and of course the warranty doesn't cover sinking! Sinking is on both sides of the bed and I weigh 105 lbs! Company probably knew that was a flaw! Never again! We just purchased a Simmons memory foam mattress and are happy to put this Stearns and Foster junk into the trash!

Original review: July 13, 2017

Lost 2 mattresses. Never experienced this much incompetence. Ordered a Stearns and Foster mattress through a friends and family discount, so warehouse direct. I've had many friends buy mattresses and give rave reviews which is why I went to them. Well I really regret that. The order will take 4-6 weeks before I get it. Okay, that's pretty normal for a mattress. 6 weeks passed and there's nothing. I got an email with a tracking site but it hasn't updated at all. I call several different numbers, getting passed around from customer service to delivery and back.

Finally I get ahold of a representative. She says the factory sent it to delivery... checks in with delivery and they never received it, despite paperwork saying someone had signed it in. So they lost the mattress. After a few more phone calls, I finally get a representative who says they will re-process the order: I have to wait another 4 weeks, they will expedite this order. I ask for a delivery fee refund, they reluctantly grant it. I wait. Nothing. No phone calls or emails. I call them to check on the status. They don't know, say they will call me back tomorrow. They don't call me back, I have to call them after 2 days of waiting. Guess what? They lost this mattress too. I'm cancelling the order and taking my business elsewhere.

In short: they lost 2 mattresses, with no idea of how that happened. First of all, that's just a bad business model: how often do you lose mattresses (and by extension profits)? Second, throughout this whole 3 month process, since I first put in my order and paid, never did the company contact me. I had to call them when 6 weeks were up to ask about my order. It took me several calls before I could even find a representative, let alone one who wouldn't just transfer me to the next person. Wish I could give them 0 stars.

Original review: June 27, 2017

Bought 5 beds in Bloomingdales after house fire, had my king size for just over 2 years and it's all lumps and hollows. They said there was a 10 year warranty but because of a small coffee stain on mattress they voided warranty. Never again would I buy a Stearns & Foster. Biggest piece of junk on market.

Original review: June 26, 2017

This mattress has been a disaster since the beginning. While the delivery guys were still here, I told them it felt like is was broken and sagged. They said to call the store. I did and store replaced. The next one they bought out was a little better for about a month. It sags, has no support, and is very uncomfortable. Mattress Firm says there was no warranty due to outlet purchase. It was a $1200 mattress and should last longer than 3 years. I will never buy Stearns and Foster again. After reading these reviews, I guess others had the same experience.

Original review: May 31, 2017

This is our fourth Stearns & Foster Mattress from Bloomingdale's in Boca Raton Florida. Our salesperson was wonderful, on time delivery, brand new condition on each. After just a few years thousands of dollars are wasted and both my husband and I lose hours of sleep and have ongoing back soreness. Stearns & Foster Mattresses SAG and the top padding does not allow the mattress to reflect accurate measurement process the company requires to honor the warranty. Stearns & Foster should come with a 10 year supply of Biofreeze to help out with back pain. Our last mattress was returned under warranty. However it was inspected several times before they agreed it was defective. During that time period we slept in our spare room. I am wondering if any class action lawsuit potential exists on these mattresses.

Original review: May 22, 2017

Best mattress ever, everyone keeps taking naps in my bed. I have always had coil mattresses and was afraid to go with a pure foam so I thought the hybrid would be a good compromise. I love it. It is so comfortable yet moderately firm. I feel it is the perfect choice. My nine year old daughter keeps trying to sleep in my bed because she said it feels like a cloud. I have not seen any issues with valleys or lumps. I have had it two months and can't say enough about how much I love this mattress.

Original review: May 18, 2017

I purchased the Stearns and Foster about a year ago and it is already trash. The bed is completely sagging in the middle! What a waste of money, I am so disappointed! I will never buy or even sell these beds again! I use to tell customers they were top notch because that was what was told to me! They're a top notch waste of money is what they are! Do not buy this brand!

Original review: May 3, 2017

This mattress was very uncomfortable after 3 months. It had wells where you lay and left a hump in the middle causing you to not be able to roll over while sleeping. Pressure points on hips from hard mattress and dip that hurts neck and shoulders (from the top edge) after only 3 months. When I contacted Mattress One and informed them I found out my warranty was worthless essentially as you have to be able to see a 2.5 inch sag without touching it. You can touch it with a finger tip and see it. The sag is there but you can't see it because they have creatively engineered to top layer to be taut and stay high even though nothing is under it but air. I will never purchase Stearns and Foster again! Nor will I purchase from Mattress One who charges $50 to honor their warranty.

Stearns and Foster expert review by Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.

Stearns & Foster specializes in luxury beds made by certified craftsmen with the highest-quality materials. The mattresses can be more expensive than other brands but are very well crafted.

• High quality: Stearns & Foster is known for its very high-quality mattresses and the excellent materials used to make them.

• Retail stores: Customers can visit one of the many retail stores around the country to test the mattresses before purchasing.

• Support: It has customer support available during the weekdays and excellent in-person support at the retail stores.

• Preferences: Customers can choose from a wide range of models, including memory foam, innerspring and hybrid mattresses of varying firmness.

• Warranty: It offers a high-level warranty ensuring the mattress will last for years to come. The company will replace it if it proves defective in any way.

• Best for: Sterns & Foster mattresses are best for professionals.

Profile picture of Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.
    Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.

Mattress Contributing Editor

Michael J. Breus, Ph.D., known as The Sleep Doctor, is a Clinical Psychologist and both a Diplomate of the American Board of Sleep Medicine and a Fellow of The American Academy of Sleep Medicine. He is on the clinical advisory board of The Dr. Oz Show and is a regular contributor on the show. He is also the author of several books, including The Sleep Doctor’s Diet Plan: Lose Weight Through Better Sleep (Rodale Books; 2011) and Good Night: The Sleep Doctor’s 4-Week Program to Better Sleep and Better Health (Dutton/Penguin; 2006). Dr. Breus has been featured on several national media outlets, including The Today Show, The CBS Early Show and Psychology Today.

Stearns & Foster Bedding Company Information