Stearns & Foster Bedding

Stearns & Foster Bedding

2.5/5 (659 ratings)
Find a Mattress Brands partner

10 suggested offers from our partners.

Our favorite mattress companies of 2022

Shop Now

About Stearns & Foster Bedding

10 suggested offers from our partners.

Our favorite mattress companies of 2022

Shop Now

Stearns & Foster Bedding Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Stearns & Foster Bedding?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Stearns and Foster?

Original review: Nov. 12, 2022

For years I've been sleeping on S&F mattresses, and so have family members. Time to buy new ones. I was stunned to find out that if you purchase from S&F directly, they charge more than any other retailer for their product. It is supposed to be just the opposite. When asking S&F about this today, their idiotic response was, "we offer a warranty". So does everyone else who sells them! If your goal is to throw your money away, go to Stearns & Foster!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2022

Stearns & Foster Hurtson Estate Luxury Cushion Firm: Top pad of mattress does not match floor model at Raymour and Flanigan, Horseheads, NY, at all. Floor model top was full of soft loft; mine feels like tight polyester. Floor model covering felt like very soft, like jersey cotton, or the way Tencel is described -- softer than cotton; mine feels slick, shiny, even scratchy, like plastic. Also, feels like sleeping in a hammock (month #1). Big dents when I'm in it -(130 lb). Normalizes when get out of bed, so level does not show sagging. Further, sent in info for the $200 rebate -- nothing. Sent in info for the warranty -- received no confirmation. Horseheads, where I bought it, does not have a tech, so the tech came from Binghamton and felt the floor model there -- useless. No one would come feel the Horseheads floor model vs. my mattress. S&F really does not care about your mattress or experience. $3000 down the drain to the CEO.

Get buying tips about Mattresses delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2022

Purchased an Estate mattress for over 3k. Was great for the first year, then quickly started to decline. I thought investing this kind of money into a mattress would get me a good 10+ years. I would’ve even been accepting with 5 years honestly. I’ve had two mattresses in my entire life that were substantially cheaper. My first mattress was probably $500 and lasted from age 5-19. Replaced it with an $800 mattress and used it from age 19-24 when I moved out of my parent's house lol. Neither of them were even close to as bad as this Stearns and Foster. Bought additional warranty and they still won’t help. So so soooo bad. Please don’t buy this brand.

Original review: May 28, 2022

I purchased a Brand New King Sized Stearns and Foster Pillow Top mattress for over $3,000 and it Sags in the middle causing me lower back pain and awful tossing and turning at night. The Company has all kinds of Loop Holes in their Warranty and so far they will not Honor the Warranty. DO NOT BUY anything from Stearns and Foster.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2021

I’m a 125lb 5’2” Female single sleeper. Purchase a S&F McKee mattress with confidence this firm mattress would last me over 10yrs! Five years later experiencing sag down the middle. Not good especially for a single sleeper. Can’t sleep on sides as I roll into the middle. Edges are the only place that I can find what’s left of any firmness but sleep with slant towards middle. My bed frame had great support which wouldn’t be cause for this mattress defect.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

Spent a fortune a year ago on this firm mattress - since purchasing it - horrible low back pain and my husband is having neuropathy in his arms. It says in the middle and we aren’t large people - worst mattress I have ever owned and it’s only a year old. I will file complaints with government agencies as well as file a lawsuit if they try to tell me there is nothing wrong with this mattress - one would think for almost 2,000 dollars that this would not happen- whoever engineered this mattress - bad design - it’s super heavy - maybe it collapses under its own weight - I will not let this go because it’s affecting our health and we are seniors.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

Our experience is nearly identical to other folks who, like us, made the terrible mistake of purchasing a Stearns and Foster Lux Estate “pillow top” hybrid California king mattress. We bought it Mattress Firm. We discovered how bad our first one was and had them deliver a replacement. The 2nd one was just as bad so we “traded up”. It is a lengthy story so to “speed it up a bit” we ended up spending $5600.00 on their best mattress within this category of mattress. Like the previous others the mattress sagged downwards on the side that my wife sleeps on. It created so much back and hip pain that she couldn’t sleep more than 4 hours a night. We had the store manager and well as “Stearns” technician examine it and they couldn’t, they said, find anything wrong. The tech from Stearns suggested we get a blanket and fold it over until we had raised the mattress about 2 inches higher the length of the bed to compensate for the slant.

Now my wife weighs a whopping 107 lbs at 5’ 3” tall so her weight wasn’t a factor. My side of the bed was actually worse. The edge of the bed was so broken down that I couldn’t sit on it. I actually fell out of bed several times hitting my nightstand and damaging my lamp and various other pieces not to mention the bruises I sustained. Every time I visited the Stearns warranty website or viewed comments from other people with the same issues I became so disheartened that I didn’t follow through and file a claim. It isn’t the $80.00 fee they charge to send one of their warranty people out to look at it but I’ve never had to pay a company to check a defective product before. That, and the experiences of people who did and rarely, if any, received the “defective” product judgment and a replacement mattress made me feel like “what’s the use!” Even if we got a replacement I think we’d only be getting the same “piece of junk” like we did on the previous two occasions.

I never did my due diligence before buying because we has owned a Stearns and Foster mattress many years before and it was a quality product. Of course that was before the company sold out and merged and began cranking out the inferior products g they call mattresses. Times are tough for most folks today and as seniors on fixed incomes we are no exception. Together, with all the health issues we have to deal with and a mattress that has made our spines feel horrible, it would seem that the only option we have left is to go mattress shopping again. One thing is certain, it will not be at Mattress Firm and may our eyes never gaze upon another Stearns and Foster product again. Take our advice and stay clear unless you’re willing to spend tons of money on a really terrible product with a warranty that isn’t worth the paper it’s written on.

Original review: July 13, 2021

Purchased a Stearns and Foster mattress because of the salesman’s recommendation at our local furniture store. Mattress felt incredible on show room floor and had a 10 year warranty. After 5 years the top layers started to break down and after 7 it was unusable (sank down additional 6-7 inches when laying on.). They use a laughable test to determine if mattress should be replaced, which protects them from standing behind their warranty. We will never purchases from them again, $2,600 wasted on a mattress.

Original review: June 24, 2021

I bought king mattress in June 2020. After 4 months they got saggy big deep. The mattress is Rockwell. They didn’t want to work with me after submitting all pictures and info. Mattress Firm sent me email of denial. Don’t buy from Mattress Firm or Stearns & Foster. Both worst company to validate your warranty. I spent $ 3,000.00 And they compare to 400 dollars mattress.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2020

My experience is horrible!! I bought the Hurston Luxury queen size mattress. It looked like it was sank down in the middle as soon as it delivered!! The first night

I slept on it, My back was killing me!!!! The only place I can lay on the bed is on the edges. They claim "Stearns in the top of the line" That is not true!!!! I paid 2,000.00 and I am very disappointed!!!! They should refund my money and give me a free mattress!!!!

Stearns and Foster author review by Sandy Baker

Stearns & Foster specializes in luxury beds made by certified craftsmen with the highest-quality materials. All mattresses are CPSIA-compliant and made in the United States. Customers can visit one of the many retail stores around the country to test the mattresses before purchasing.

• Mattress pricing: Queen-size mattress pricing starts at around $1,500.

• Types of mattresses: Select from HD Memory Foam, IntelliCoil HD and Precision Edge. It also offers a king-size bed made of two twin mattresses, allowing you to share your bed without compromising individual sleeping preferences.

• Trial period: Stearns & Foster does not provide a trial period.

• Warranty: Most, but not all, mattresses include a 10-year limited warranty.

• Additional products: Stearns & Foster specializes exclusively in mattresses. No additional products are available.

by Sandy Baker Contributing Writer

Sandy Baker has written for ConsumerAffairs since 2021. Along with the advice and information her articles provide to consumers, she’s written several books that focus on topics such as retirement planning, bankruptcy, business finance, estate planning and personal credit health.

Stearns & Foster Bedding Company Information