Rent-A-Center

Compare Furniture Stores

Research top Furniture Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Was told to be alert about Rent-A-Center's practices. I rented to bring my credit score up a little due to having medical issues on my report before I started to receive my 100 VA. I ask the manager several times through the year when my 12 month payoff was. I was told several times it would be in Dec. 16 and stated "we have it as a partial payment in Jan but, we will fix that on your last payment" so, when I called, of course I was told to talk to this person I had never spoke to before. He said he wasn't going to fix it and if I wanted they would pick my stuff up. I had made every payment on time or before. So be careful out there. ALSO HE KEPT SAYING WE GO BY WEEKS NOT MONTHS AFTER I WAS TOLD UPFRONT IT WAS ON A YEAR. WOW.

I am writing this because the employees are very rude. They call you at work when asked not to. I have asked them several times to come and pick up the stuff I am renting and the manager told me he didn't want it back. He had no room in his stock room. Which isn't my fault. So because he refuses to take the stuff back that I can't afford he keeps harassing me. If he told me to keep it he should be the one paying for it not me.

I have rented from Rent-A-Center for years and even paid off merchandise. I have never dealt with unprofessional and disrespectful employees like the ones in Elkton, MD. I waited 2 days for them to pick up merchandise. Never came or showed up. A week later an emotes named Carl shows up at my home peeking in my windows and screaming, "Open your effing door so I can get my merchandise now". I was like, "Excuse me, knocking on door would of been polite". He continues to stand out front screaming, "You cut go thru life thinking everything is free". His behavior had my 7 yo crying and upset. I will never rent nor recommend them. I even contacted Ida their store manager to no avail.

On November 19, 2016, I submitted an application online and was approved for 2000$. I went into my local store located in BARSTOW, CALIFORNIA, to pick my item and show documents to verify my income. The store manager name Carlos, approached me and said "Unfortunately, I wasn't approve!" I asked him why because I was approved and showed him the email. After reading my approval letter he then said... "Oh well, but you were denied because I put the wrong name for my job (IHSS)." I asked Carlos if I could fix it by submitting a new app with the correct wording. He then gave me a Spanish version. I asked for a app in ENGLISH, however this app was located in his office behind the counter. Frustrated, I made contact with the corporate office, in which was no help whatsoever. I have been waiting 10 days for someone from the district and regional office to contact me. There's no way I'm not being discriminated against and I plan to sue!!!

Previously went to go rent a TV from Rent-A-Center. Sales guy was so quick to try to get the sale and gave misleading information, promising delivery date to be the following day by 6pm. Called 5 different times and waited 4hrs. 30mins to come to find out that the TV never left the building, it was still there. Delivery wasn't going to happen. Missed half a day of work for this disappointment!!! Will not recommended anyone their biggest waste of time this was the store in Cutler Bay. They should close this store down too. Making me pay for insurance when I refused!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rent-A-Center?

Having never had anything to do with this company, I suddenly started receiving emails from them. I tried to unsubscribe, but when I got to the point where I hit "unsubscribe", nothing would happen. Then I started getting emails addressed to "Hailey" reminding me that my next payment was due. I have sent them a number of emails telling them that they have the wrong email address, but have received no reply, and still the emails come!

Ok I know that everything in life is not free and we have to pay for everything but the furniture that Rent A Center rented to me is not worth renting. I am sorry to say this but they should be able to take payments that you are able to pay and stop harassing people. I am sorry but I really truly regret forever renting out furniture from Rent A Center. Plus you pay more for renting the furniture. I pray that I can get enough money together to buy furniture instead of renting and receiving HARASSING CALLS.

My family and I went into rent a center found couches and were delivered the next day. The day after the delivery I found out the sofa had a broken bar and every time you sat down the sofa would squeak, so I called and explained told them I no longer wanted them. They couldn't get a truck out till Monday and the day I called was a Tuesday. I agreed said that was fine so come Monday evening I called and asked why they haven't arrived. I was told we have no pick up on the schedule. I then called corporate which was no help. Called Tuesday @ 10:24 - was told they wouldn't make it till Friday. Worst company ever - need to close this store or send over a new manager.

This is awful place run by the thiefs. Their attitudes are very rude and defensive. Be careful when purchasing the stuff from here. They ripped me with $42 more of what was in 90 day contract. They delivered the sofa in awful manner and during the delivery they even torn the sofa and I didn't said anything to them. The final price was 450.06 written on contract and the front desk lady told me this amount is after your initial payment is made and I ended up paying 491.12. What kind of business is this when you lie with customer about the price and print final price after deducting the initial price. Total lie. Be aware of them and don't buy anything. I am planning to sue them and take this action to consumer court about their awful and deceitful act.

Never had any problems with any bugs at all in my home. Neither my friends or my family has ever had any problems with bugs. MY HOUSE IS INFESTED WITH BED BUGS!! The exterminator from all different companies are saying the main source is the couch. Rent-A-Center is doing nothing. I've thrown out all of my furniture and bagged up everything in my house for the exterminators. My life is taking a beating right now and they've denied everything.

My BEAUTIFUL home is RUINED and this is costing us thousands of dollars and heartache. We can't stay at home with our children all because we needed a couch. When I day they're not doing anything I literally mean nothing at all and they're the cause of this whole mess. It's NOT worth it. Save your money because in the long run you could end up paying a lot more. You can't put a price on your sanity or your heartbreak when your 7 year old daughter cancels her birthday party because your home is disgusting!! Run and don't look back!

I have paid off 6 accounts with these sharks... They call me at 9 am on the 3rd of every month telling me my payment is due!!! I explain to them that my payment is due on the 4th of every month. They tell me it's due on the 3rd. I laugh and tell them "fine" and make my payment... I have had some issues with a DJ set up I purchased from Rent-A-Center. I have had to bring it back 4 times. The 3rd time I bring it in to get it fixed... They forget to send it out? With the explanation of the issues with this set up!!! Then after I take it back home I call Gayle the manager of this store and tell her the whole problem... Gayle explains that they don't make this system anymore and can't fix it!

Rent-A-Center adds an extra 15.00 to our bill every month for protection on anything you rent! But when it comes to getting it fixed they don't want to fix or replace it!!! They say "you're a preferred customer"??? When we go in to pay our bill they never say "Hi good morning..." The first thing they ask is "What do you want to buy today..." They blow up your phone. I returned a computer... they sold to us. They told us that it was 325.00 out the door and got charged 640.00 on the contract. Bad Business!!! Will never go back to Rent-A-Center or recommend them...

My uncle bought some furniture from there (Rent-A-Center) a while ago. And in no time no animals/kids it started falling apart pretty quick. The side/underneath started bottoming out (ripping). Needless to say he was PISSED. So, no more of THAT! He was done with them. That should have been my lesson. Awhile ago (earlier this year) I needed a new phone and I'm poor. So, when you're poor Rent-A-Center's there to help. Or so I THOUGHT!

I got my phone which was EXPENSIVE for a store like that, not thinking I got the phone and was happy for a bit until I looked the phone up online and saw I was being bamboozled at Rent-A-Center the phone I had which was rent to own. I was to pay over a thousand for a phone MULTIPLE people used before me. That right there is my first bamboozle. That's wrong. It's been USED by a few people. The price right there should be dropped. However, I looked the phones up online. The phone, brand, phone provider, all that stuff. "I" saw the SAME phone being sold on legit sites and from companies for less that $300. Same everything as what mine was. I nearly dropped.

Needless to say THAT phone went back in a hurry and I got the SAME phone for less not on eBay or any foolish site. Research your stuff before taking the Rent-A-Center plunge. The lady who works there (Bennington) lied through her teeth to make a sale. No respect whatsoever. Not to mention when I'd go IN there she was always sitting down doing nothing. Talking to everyone and her boss like she was at a party without the booze. Not good.

I had rented from Rent-A-Center in Lebanon pa and put a biweekly payment on the item. Was promised that it was going to be delivered on Thursday so Thursday came and late afternoon I haven't heard anything on the time of delivery. I called and they had no clue what I was talking about and looked up my account. It turns up the manager forgot to schedule my delivery and for someone to deliver it later on that evening. When they showed up with the item the person delivering asked for help in carrying the item into the house and didn't know how to set it up. Plus the item we rented was a TV and they lost the remote and gave us one that wasn't to the TV and didn't have any batteries.

The following Saturday came and it was the day that my payment was due and they started calling me right when they opened for payment and didn't even give me a chance to get myself together. Being angry I told them to come for the TV. I don't want to deal with a company like that so I went elsewhere. Definitely not happy with that company and will never go back. I'd rather do without the item.

They will call you 10 times a day when your bill is due until you pay it. Even if it is not late They make you feel like it is. They are relentless. You can't send them a check (they will not allow you to do this) so you add them to your online banking bill payer. I have set up an online account with RAC and I can't get in regardless how many times I reset my password. I can't understand how they are allowed to do this.

We love the Rent-A-Center store 5166 we go to - good people who worked with us on any problem. The manager there is great. If we had any problems she took care of them asap. Not all stores are the same. One of the other ones we dealt with the people were idiots.

I had an issue with a Rent A Center employee coming to my home and tampering with/moving my surveillance camera by the door to hide his person. My teenage daughters were home alone and scared by this employee's behavior which included ringing the doorbell for 6 minutes straight and sitting in his vehicle outside my home for 20 minutes. We recorded the whole incident from the surveillance system hard drive. I spoke to the manager of the location, Ruben, and he admitted fault, and stated he asked the employee to sit outside "to wait for you". I recorded this conversation. Ruben refused to give me the employees name to make a police report. I spoke to Gary **, the District Manager on September the 20th.

I recorded the call. In the conversation Gary refused to see the video, claiming he "believed" me but again refused to give me the employee's name and refused to offer a resolution. He again admitted Rent A Center was in the wrong. I contacted the Better Business Bureau to get a resolution to this issue. The response Rent A Center gave, through their paralegal, stated I admitted in a call that the employee never touched the camera (although I have video and audio recording proving otherwise), that my account was severely past due (though I have audio recording stating otherwise), and that they never spoke to me that week, although my call logs clearly show otherwise. I have paid off 7 items with Rent A Center through the years, but I will no longer EVER shop with their company again.

I have been a long time customer since 2002 but starting this year 2016, hell has no fury on how this people treat their customers. No loyalty whatsoever. I have purchases two things from them mid December 2015 and early January 2016. I felt short starting last couple months. I had paid more that I should have paid by now. These people are going over my parents property and my property vandalizing and cursing at people. Threatening with the police is about to arrest right now if you don't pay or return the merchandise. So I have to contact a lawyer to further assist me with these issues. They don't believe that people have rights. Being defaulted does not make you a criminal. It says that we are humans and have other problems than RENT A CENTER to deal with...

They have degenerates running their businesses and forger management or Regional Managers that tell you, "No lawyer can do anything for you"... WOW... I swear to God, I have never in my life to see a business run out business as soon as this second that I am typing this. I promise, anytime someone said RENT A CENTER, I will advise them to take their business somewhere else and where they can keep their dignity and respect. They arrest my parents, constantly calling the police at their doors. OMG, their corporate office won't do anything about that... Shame that someone is depleting your cash reserved on used merchandise and can't control their level of disgraceful behaviors. From Corporate Office to low degenerate employees...

Me and my fiance went to Rent-A-Center to rent two phones. We had to start out with loaner phones. But when we actually got our phones his worked and mine don't work right. All they say they can do is send it to service and put back into a cheap loaner which isn't what I am paying for and it's their fault the phone isn't working right. They are rip offs. Stay away from them. They are a waste of time and money.

Please do not go to Rent-A-Center, horrible customer service. You can pay your account and still be called constantly. The stress isn't worth it. If I wasn't almost through paying I would give property back. Go to Conns or pay cash, everything is cheap now. Save yourself a headache. Their old tactics will one day close their doors. Like getting something from a loan shark. Save your money up and buy items. They will make you lose your sanity, insane tactics. So not worth it!!!

I have never had Roaches in my home till I started renting from Rent-A-Center in Danville Illinois Gilbert st. I have complained to them and they do nothing about it. They tell me they have it under control. Well they're wrong. They don't. They also tell me they spray their items and they don't. I have had a fridge from them and got a washer and dryer from them and now I have been battling roaches. They since have came to get the fridge and I started having them kind of cleared up but I then had to get a loaner on my dryer because mine wasn't drying anymore and they brought me a different one and I asked them again "did you spray it" and they said it was new and there shouldn't be a problem. Well it wasn't new and now I have them bad again. I'm so mad right now. I really want to throw their roach infested stuff out into the front yard and tell them to come, get it.

Rent-A-Center in East Stroudsburg PA. are not professional. I had an account at one of their other stores. Well that store closed up and my account got transferred to East Stroudsburg store. As a customer it's not my fault that their store closed up. This store has been nothing but problems with my contract. I pay every 2 weeks as the contract states. These people call all my references within a week telling them I have an appliance that's not being paid for. That is confidential plus my contract is for two-week payments. The workers are nasty and rude. My references are not to be called about payments. They lie to you about the payments and say everything is good just so you purchase anything from them.

Don't fall for their game. You will regret it. They are nice at first but they will start harassing and bullying you and your references. There's no communication between the workers. They all think they’re the boss. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians. STAY AWAY FROM RENT-A-CENTER. GO SOMEWHERE ELSE AND RENT!!! Trust me. It's not worth the harassing from them. Payments sound cheap but what the price on the ticket is not what you will actually pay. They have fees, insurance taxes and other hidden fees that they add on to your payment.

I have been a customer for 6 years at the Granite City, IL location. Our whole house is furnished with rent a center and at first the workers were really nice, got my furniture on time and in good condition. They now have rotate new workers, new management, and the deliveries are not on time. I have had 3 separate appointment times that were for the 4-6 pm time frame, and not one single call or notification they were not coming or were going to be late.

When the workers come to pick up an item we trade, they are playing the Pokemon Go game, always on the phone with friends or family, slack at getting items or missing an item. They are unprofessional and rude. I had an appointment for Saturday pick up and they never called to say "Hey we are running behind, we are all booked for the day" instead I called 30 minutes before the deadline pick up and say, "Why are you not here? I have the furniture ready, it's blocking my walkway to and from other rooms in my house, it's a safety hazard." They did not care and never rescheduled me.

I get a call today and say, "Hey we have Thursday is the latest we can be out there." Well I've gone 3 days trying to get through my house with their furniture in the way. They should have had me on the 1st of the list as my appointment was Saturday and I was not. I now still have the furniture, am pissed off since I had to reschedule all my potential clients to not come over for a showing, I have lost all my sales this weekend that I could have made and the furniture is still here blocking all exits out of my house if a fire would happen. I have kids, this is not a healthy way to have them live, and this place doesn't care about their loyal customers. I am now going to be going elsewhere, I have never missed a payment and I'm always on the call list for new items as I have paid sooo much money into this place for the past 6 years to be treated this way.

This is my first time dealing with a 'rent to own' company. Let me just say, I am not impressed. When I walked into the store, things were great. The manager 'Rachel' in the Louisburg NC (North Carolina) store, was nice and friendly. SOME employees were nice as well, but some were very rude. I decided to get a laptop and TV. Well, Rachel tells me, the only laptops they have in the WHOLE store, are the ones on display. So, I was forced to get the store laptop. After getting it home my brother and I were looking at it. (By the way he works on computers and has his A+ certification.) It turns out that on their website it shows the same laptop but better spec. False Advertising, much?! So, not only did I get the display computer, but got robbed in the process.

That's not the worst of it all. I was looking to get a 30" to 40" Tv. Nothing TOO BIG! But, I wanted a smart TV. As I am looking, one of the employees walks up and says..."You want a smart tv? Well we only make them in 15" and 50"." I myself am not familiar with smart TV. So I got the 50", later I found out they make smart tvs in all sizes. So, they tell me after 3 hours of paper work, that they would deliver the tv. I sorta figured they would since it was a 50" and all. So, sometimes between 5-6 (they close at 6) they delivered the tv. Mind you I am at work when they do this.

This is where ** gets real. First they leave my TV on my bed. Do not think about setting it up or anything. Then when I get home, at 2 in the morning I have to set up, plug it up, all that. As soon as I turn the tv on and start watching a movie, I notice these black lines running along the middle and side of the screen. At first I thought it was dirt. But after cleaning the screen I found out it was not dirt. So, the next I called the store and talked to Rachel. I told her what was going on with the tv, and she told me to 'text her pictures of the the screen'. And I did. She was nice about it. She said they would send out a loaner until mine was fixed. Come to find out, they told me that the black lines came from where the delivery guy put the cord over the side and the power brick rubbed across the screen.

Okay, no problem this past Monday they delivered the loaner. Right after they left the tv, I had to leave for work. So, I had no time to go and look at the tv. When I got home I went and started plugging up the cable and all that (because the second delivery guy told me he didn't plug it up.) When I turned it on, the screen was cracked. I called my uncle in to look at the screen and he agreed that the screen was cracked and broken. The next morning I called them AGAIN, and this time I was talking to a guy. This guy was VERY rude. I told him that they delivered my tv and when I got home and turned it on the screen was cracked. He went on and very rudely said he was my delivery guy, and he would be out there that day or the next to see the tv. THAT THEY WERE SHORT STAFFED RIGHT NOW! He made that VERY clear.

I waited four days and nothing... no call, or anything. So, Friday evening I called and Rachel picked up the phone. I told her the same that I told the guy. And she became very rude to me. Her personality did a 360 from the first two times I had talked to her and then she asked had they sent a loaner out. I told her yes, that that's would I was calling about that the loaner was messed up. And, that the guy I spoke to was very rude. I could hear the guy in the background yelling about me and what I told him.

She went on to say 'the guy that delivered the tv turned it on before they left and it was not cracked.' I know for a fact that they were not telling the truth, the guys never turned it on. She went on to tell me they would not send another tv out. I would have to wait until my tv came back from the shop. So, I still have to pay for something I am getting no pleasure out of. That's my story. I just hope it helps those in the Franklin County NC area, to decide if they should rent from them.

I am a day late on a $14.88 payment on a portable washer. The sales associate at the Levittown PA branch walked into my place of business and began belittling me in front of customers and my Boss... screaming that they will not put up with this and will be out tomorrow to pick up the washer... if no one is home she will come back. I am afraid to lose my job if the woman returns to my place of employment again in the future for a late payment.

Rent - A - Center on 1027 Beach 20th, Far-Rock-away, N.Y. 11691. This store has nothing good going for all the workers including managers are very rude and unprofessional. They all need to work in the basement away from customer are people that are alive. The delivery guys are no better. They are always late and do not know how to put up the items you rent or buy and there were always missing pieces which we had to call to get. My bunk bed fall, taken my son to the bottom of it. Thank God my grandson was not on it or my son was not hurt. Come to find out there were screws missing that held it up so it will not fall. I remember once the bank made a mistake on one of my payments and they came to take the bed. Mind you I have not missing a payment before and I only had two more to go before it was mine's. Hey after that I just pay them off.

I call back about the missing screws, we would have put them in for we did not trust their unskilled delivery men anymore (where do they find these workers on the street for they know nothing about their products or what they are doing) and was told after being put on hold for about thirty (30) minutes they were unable to do anything for me for my account was too old and it was only six (6) months later, that's after they found out no one was hurt because of their negligent. Thank God again this did not happen so be aware of this for next time someone could get kill. I will never buy or rent from Rent-A-Center again. Very poor service and rude workers. The company is just going to lose money for their workers are not even decent or courteous to its customers. Frustrated Buyer.

I went in yesterday to make my payment. After giving a payment and tending to my toddler I accidentally gave the manager Shawn an extra 40$ that has now mysteriously disappeared. I called and the acting area manager stated the same thing and both verified it took three minutes for both of them to count the drawer. I am so angry at the dishonesty of their employees. This is not my first problem with Shawn yet they continue to let them work here. Now my family and I are out the money and no help.

This is my second review for the lake Elsinore store. It's horrible. It's like to get a job there. One of the qualifications is you have to be rude to customers. My first review got me a call back from the district manager and he was really nice and respectful and I thought the problem was going to get fixed. He said that he would get our washer fixed for us for free which was really cool but they never came and picked it up and now he won't answer his calls anyway so she calls us back and yells at us at customer for going higher above her.

They are rude at that store. They don't care about their customers at all so now we went in there and paid our washer off. We don't have to deal with them anymore. Thank God. I just want to let everyone know how that store works when we went in there. I asked about her calling and yelling at us and yeah I was rude. I'm tired of this place but she just Sat in her office with a big smile on her face just thought people should see how rent a center is and how they treat people. It's not okay.

Their employees are the rudest people I have ever met. I don't know who I talked to on the phone at the Midland, MI store, right next to Kmart and Save-a-lot. But he was a ** and very very rude. He wouldn't tell me how much I owed them. And then wanted to schedule a pick up of my stuff. I would have paid it if they would have told me how much I owed them. But since the guy I talked to refused to. I hung up. THEN they called my work, which was very unprofessional. And then they went to a house where I don't even live: and harassed the people that do live there. (I do know who the people are). Regardless, My laptop ran slow, even with high speed internet. Seriously the RUDEST PEOPLE I HAVE EVER ENCOUNTER IN A PROFESSIONAL BUSINESS. I will NEVER recommend you guys to ANYBODY! EVER.

I have been through rent a center for a couple years now. Me and my husband just moved in february and decided to get a bed through them. Well we pay our bill every month and this past month we got behind a payment. Well now we're behind two payments and if I talked to a manager would they work with us because I don't see why I should put my account on a freeze and have them come take my bed if I am able to pay my overdue balance and my soon to be new balance in two weeks so they would take the bed back for two weeks and then have to bring it back to me in two weeks. Why can't they just make a deal and we will pay our overall balance on the 24th and then be caught up. Please if anybody knows anything that could help me that'd be nice cause they wanna come get my bed tomorrow and we're only two payments behind and I got a bad back and have nothing else to sleep on.

The most worsening experience people I have ever dealt with here in Longview Tx the loop 281 store. Change due dates from Saturday to Wednesday and then say, "You owe late fees." Just sad. Pay off everything ever gotten from rent a center but this store well the people in the store here is the worst I ever seen. Paid off washer and it breaks down. Call them, they come pick it up to fix it - never seen it again. Ask for my washer and NO one know what I'm talking about because everyone is new in the store. Now they ask me to work with them because they're new. Ok put my due date back on Saturday. Give me back the washer I paid for and I'm good. My payment went from $160 to $130 to $94.60 but now that they change my due date it's 110.94 because they say it's late charges but it's not due until Saturday. I just wish that someone could help me out and find out what's going on.

Rent-A-Center Company Profile