1.56/5
Based on 49 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good furniture store?

Rent-A-Center

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Feb. 19, 2018

1024 Rent-A-Center Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

On Saturday 2/17 your van driver ran over my mini Doxi Jax!! My pup went under the front tire followed by the back tire, he didn’t slow down, kept going turned the corner and watched me crying and carrying my dying dog to the house... then continued to drive away!! Never stopped... against the law and inhuman!! Called the Massena store to be told, "OH WELL Ma’am it was an accident. He is an animal lover..." some animal lover. Not an apology. Nothing!! I’m disgusted with this business. I will not recommend anyone buy anything from them!! Your staff are **, ** people!! If the driver didn’t have the heart or the balls to apologize the manager should have done so!!! Disgusted!!!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Horrible company. Don't waste your time or money... very unprofessional... They don't even take the time out to check and secure all furniture before leaving. The only good thing that I can say about the store and Linden New Jersey is the manager Gladimire which is amazing... Always tries to fix the mess of the other incompetent workers.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

We rented to own a fridge when our old one was about to go out. We got it for less than $20 for the first month due to a special they were having, where we got 4 weeks free. Being a disabled veteran, with a disabled child as well, my income is limited. We actually got behind one month (before we signed up for autopay, which I highly recommend), and when it came time to pay, we were considering having them pick it up and just going and spending $300 on a new fridge and be done with it. It was less than $250 to get caught up. I told the guy at the desk what my thought process was, so instead of having us go elsewhere, he dropped late fees for one month, and added the one month we were behind, onto the end of our lease to own term. So we didn't end having to drop almost $250, right then.

We got to the end of our lease last month (1/2018), the amount was more than our normal monthly payment, and needed to be paid in the store. When my husband went up there, they let him pay part of it, and that left us with a balance of $65.81 to pay it off the next month (yesterday 2/2018). They give you this cute little certificate saying you are now the proud be owner of (insert property you rented to own). We had such a good experience with them, that we were considering renting to own a washer/dryer set, or mattress.

We live in a small trailer, they didn't carry any stackable washer/dryer sets. So we started looking at their mattresses, with the help of the salesman. He asked what kind of mattress firmness we were looking for, and showed us all our options. We picked the memory foam one because, my husband is often woke up by me moving around at night, and we both have back problems. It was only $5/week ($20/month) more expensive, than the softest spring mattress they had. The best part is it's only an 8 month lease, and since we paid off our fridge yesterday, we got our first month free (doesn't change the cost of the total for ownership). So we'll own it in September, if we pay it out, or the 90 day same as cash price is only $730+taxes and fees.

IDK that we'll be able to pay it off in 90 days but, they still have the early purchase option. You can purchase your item(s) for 50% of the remaining cost, plus the purchase payment, taxes and fees, at any time! Yes, you could get things cheaper, if you just put aside the money you'd be paying in rental fees, for a few months, but you have to wait till you have all the money, to have the item you want, doing it that way! Everyone I've dealt with at this Rent-A-Center (Leland, NC) has been absolutely the best!

I've rented to own a stackable washer/dryer set from Aaron's (Carolina Beach Rd in Wilmington NC) and getting behind once, there was no sympathy, courtesy, or professionalism. They were rude and there was just no reasoning with them! Didn't matter that I was going to pay two months plus, late fees, reinstatement fee, etc. I told them they had to wait to pick it up because, I wasn't home. They never showed up the day they said they would. They rescheduled when I called, after being so hell bent on getting their stuff back. I've rented to own from just about every company out there, in the past, and never had as good an experience as I did with this Rent-A-Center! It's also my first time paying anything off. They were always so professional, and courteous, I'll be buying stuff for years to come, from them. After the bed, a living room set will be next on my wish list!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

They took my deposit, now still waiting for the second confirmed delivery 10 minutes from their store. I had my second delivery scheduled for 12-2 today, took off from work for a second time and I had to call them at 2:30 to be told they are too busy to deliver to me today... I took a day off from work. I was told they would try for some time next week... HORRIBLE COmpany - Rent a Center, Bloomfield, NJ.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I have had nothing but great interactions with my local rent a center. I have rented a couch for about 10 months now and have had very professional interactions. My couch was delivered on time and in perfect condition. I have used the referral process and as far as I know all my friends have been satisfied as well.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rent-A-Center?

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

I went to rent a center to see the pricing on dryers, while there we decided to buy one and make payments to extend the coverage. We filled out paperwork with all of our information (name, address, SSN, phone numbers, etc) the manager then entered it into their system. We were told our dryer would be delivered between 12 and 2 the next day, well 12 came then 1 then 2 and we were still waiting and no one had contacted us. We called and they said they would check with their delivery guy and call back, an hour later we called again and the manager said he was around the corner.

Keep in mind this is 2 hours late and we have been waiting all day! He gets to our place 30 minutes later and drops it in our driveway! So we remove our old one and install the new one. Well it doesn't work! So we call the manager again and she answers with "Oh you guys again." I was furious at this point. I told her it doesn't work and we had to move and connect it and she says "ok so?" I informed her the dryer didn't work and she said "fine" and sent the delivery guy back to our house, which took another hour. He told us the clothes have to be wet to make the dryer work (completely incorrect) but we tried it anyways. It still didn't work. So he said he would take that one back and replace it with another one that night. Well he never came back the manager used the excuse that he was not the regular delivery boy.

We finally get a functioning dryer and get it set up. 2 months later we forgot to call and make a payment (just slipped our minds) and my aunt in law calls saying that the manager has called her asking for money! Then my best friend calls me and says the same thing! I could not believe it, I called the manager and asked why this was happening. She said that this never happened. I told her my best friend and aunt in law have never met the only reason they would both be saying this is if it happened and they were the 2 people I listed as references! She continued to deny it until I said we had a recording since they called my aunt in law 3 times and even left a message.

So I asked them to check our phone numbers on the account, well she somehow didn't even put our numbers on the account! They were some random numbers neither of us knew! And we had stood in front of her and written our information down! I was so appalled at this point I asked for her name and said I was calling corporate. The manager then said "go ahead they won't do anything." I called and she was right they did nothing!

After another phone call with this 'Manager' and she called me a child on speaker with a car full of people. She is the most unprofessional person I have ever come across. I even went in the store to sort this all out and just pay the dryer off to be done with her and she continued to call after! I filed a complaint but doubt anything will be done. Do not go here the manager is horrible. I heard her yelling at another customer when I was in there trying to sort this mess she made out. The savings they offer is not worth being harassed, charged fees for their mistakes, having family members called for money, being called a child, or being yelled at by their 'management'.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

The initial delivery was a week late, I started being billed from the point I signed the contract, not the delivery date. The refrigerator that was delivered was lightly dented and scuffed up. The stove was missing the oven racks and they were never delivered. I paid the company almost $1200 for a dinette set worth no more than $600, with still another $1000 to go when the set was returned. And, while I did fall behind ONE PAYMENT, the company hounded, harangued, and berated me as if I owed some exorbitant amount, not $65. In short, your price to own are ridiculous, unless it is removed from the packaging directly, you can't be sure that you're getting new equipment. And the billing should start upon delivery, not before.

Your Return Team came tearing down my alley like I was a fugitive to cut me off. I can only assume that they thought I was fleeing the scene of my defaulted $65 payment, and wanted to ensure the safety of the general public. As I was emptying my trash, I had two burly men jump out of a vehicle to confront me and question my whereabouts and insist upon coming into my home. Although, they did eventually agree to come back at a later date.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

My couch was delivered BROKEN. After waiting many weeks a service man came to repair. It was unsuccessful. A SECOND attempt was made, it too was unsuccessful. RAC sent it out to factory for repair and did not give me a loaner. 3 weeks later it was returned and it was still broken. Called RAC and they said NO FURTHER attempts will be made to repair it as it was paid off 90 days same as cash!!! Calls to corporate office went unreturned!! Today TV (pitch 4 months ago) broke, and again store said it is paid up, no repairs to be attempted by them. Moral, unless you pay weekly/monthly using their extortion interest rates you are out of luck on warranty if the product breaks!!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

My Whirlpool washer stopped working in August 2017, and was taken for repairs on 8/31/2017. After numerous inquiries the washer was returned on 11/4/2017. While the manager was taking the washer downstairs it fell damaging the wall and the washer. Today 12/22/2017 I was told the only washer they have to replace my washer is an old one because Rent A Center no longer carried the make washer I currently have. I make all payments on my washer/dryer and only have 3 remaining payment. The wall is still to be repaired. I asked if I can repair it and send them the invoice and they are still waiting on word from the regional manager. From now on I will save and purchase my items in cash. I just want my washer repaired or replaced. I should not be expected to take any old washer, my washer was new and in great condition.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

Do not give Rent-A-Center your credit or debit card numbers. They were to take a payment of 129.00 and took 415. They are unethical. Told me I’d be refunded and get a callback. Still waiting for both. I’m not stopping here. I will now file a complaint with Texas states attorney.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

Went and rented a (65 inch) tv on 11/24/2017. Requested that it be in a box which it was. Put item in my wife's van for transport. Got it home and took it out of box and placed it on my bed to get it set for viewing. Then placed it in location for viewing, got it all hooked up, turned it on and noticed a big crack from the corner of the back LCD panel all the way down the screen so I put it back in the box. Then the next day took it back to RAC and took it inside and the mngr took it in the office, took it out of the box, checked it, then came out to the front register and said the crack looked like an impact hit. Pretty much saying I dropped it or I hit it with my fist. He then said they would have to send it off for service in KC.

So I waited a week, called them back and was told it was unfixable and they were out 800.00 dollars. Told me I would have to pay it. Told him he was nuts. I was renting this tv. I didn't own it. Then ask him if I was getting the 49.95 amount of money back on the tv. He said no that I lost the money. So this place seems to be crooked 'cause you get a tv for 800.00 and rent it to some sucker for 3614.09. Seems ridiculous to me. They're so greedy. As of Saturday the tv is still on my account. Was told can't be removed until the end of this month because it was on the Black Friday promotion. I would like my money back if possible. Some of us work hard for their money. But I'm sure not going to pay for something I never ever watched. Wish some agency could make them accountable for misleading people on the pricing and the products.

I am renting a dryer currently and like it but when I pay it off I would request that Rent-A-Center take my name off of the mailing list and lose my phone number 'cause I don't want no more of your overpriced crap. In the day people were professional and did business to please customer but this place is only worried about money don't get behind or have an emergency cause they don't care they will be coming to pick up your items. This establishment is a joke roping people off. I have lost count of how many tv's I have rented from them cause they all had something wrong with them. No quality products just used stuff that has been returned to them then rented to people then rerenting to people who don't know any better cause they can't afford to buy the item outright. They think we're all suckers. Well Rent-A-Center we're not. At least I'm not going to be.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I went on a Saturday to get an Xbox S and I dealt with them 3 years prior and couldn't afford to make the payment then so I filled out the paperwork. They had it all online so I thought I was good to pay the money and walk out. They told me that they have to make a final validation and deliver it so I ask them when. They say Monday. Okay. I asked them to deliver it between 5 - 5:30 so Monday come. I'm patiently waiting and time is 5:54 so I called and asked. Said they running late so okay then. Calls back and that my application denied. This is after I made the agreement with them so if you get nasty or angry with them they take it personally and deny you. Go a different route. Don't deal with this unprofessional lousy company.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I just started a brand new job and Rent-A-Center keeps calling me and harassing me even though I told the store manager when my first check is and that I would pay off my account but no they don't put notes in my account. Worst place ever to deal with.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

I've been a customer for 2 years now. When they call me for a payment I always tell them exactly when I'm coming in to make my payment then there are calls I get from them with a different customers name. I also had a former roommate. I got a job there. My roommate tells me, "I have your personal information." So when I told the store manager he didn't do a damn thing. So now I have a lock on my credit report to make sure nothing happens. So I'm getting ready to start new job. I'm going to turn in everything back to Rent-A-Center and buying new and I recommend you do the same thing. They don't do what they say.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

So it started with a corporate RAC and then shortly after changed to a "locally owned and operated" RAC. I never signed any new contracts, never gave them any problems until my couch broke 3 times in the same year. RAC says it looks like people have been jumping up and down on them. They used ply board to fix it first of all and told me he wouldn't fix them again.

I am paying a damage waiver fee. This repair is obviously a manufacture problem because 4 adults are not going to jump up and down on the couch. And a 25 lb 2 year old shouldnt be able to break a $2500 couch. I only went through RAC for the insurance purposes. Then my strapped down TV fell and broke (mention RAC has seen the set up and said nothing).

I called to report it and was told they only are responsible for manufacture defects. Okay? Well why do I pay a "Damage Waiver Fee"? So if it gets stolen? That's it? I even told him if they had it fixed I would be more than happy to pay for it and he said no that I had to continue paying for a broken TV and couch. (mention the 55in TV was well over $1000).

If I would have known RAC was so bad I would have just paid $300 in Walmart for a TV and got a couch that was worth it. The story continues to harassment. My SO and I share a phone as well as my cousin when he has my son. I work 50+ hours a week. I am not available during their work hours. They called my job and was asking for money. So the other day they caught me at my house and I told them they can take it. I dont care.

So the driver gets ahold of her boss and is being very ugly and unprofessional, with a disgusted look on her face. My other cousin went to go get the TV. It took a minute and she's asking several times again rude and ugly, "Are you going to get the TV" after we already told her. After that she goes to get in the RAC vehicle and is mumbling something under her breath, my cousin asked her what she said and she called him a "redneck piece of **".

My cousin replies with, "I'm proud to be a redneck". As I dont know what she said after that I was looking for the remote to the TV in my living room (they were outside) then I heard my cousin say, "No, you’re not welcome here, get!" and told her if she didnt go she would have the police called. She replied with, "Go ahead call them" and left the property without the couch but with the TV. YES the couch was outside. We moved it outside when I told them to come get them the first time. Regardless their opinion of us is irrelevant and none of that should have happened. They should have done their job and left. Not stand there and be rude and unprofessional.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

I was once a customer of Rent-A-Center. A paying customer, who bragged about the personal service received... Until the day that they claimed I hadn't paid my rent. I'd paid over the phone, and my trust was such that I didn't get a confirmation number. BIG MISTAKE, BOYS AND GIRLS. Lesson One - Always, without fail, obtain and keep safe all receipts and confirmation numbers, and ensure any agreement modifications are IN WRITING. They began threatening me, and I stopped that by driving the thirty miles up to the store to pull up my debit card history that confirmed that they'd received their payment on time. I got no apology whatsoever for this. As time went on, my payments seemed to vary based upon the associate who took the payment. The general manager, a man reminiscent of Steve from the Jerry Springer show, was the only one I could trust to give me the proper amount.

Life happened, and I got behind. I called and spoke to the same general manager who professed a desire to work with me. Refer back to Lesson #1, section 2, about getting things in writing, because I didn't. For a short time, they did abide by our verbal agreement. I'll give them that. Then the salesperson who originally wrote our contract got promoted. This salesperson had expressed an interest in gaming, and as a result he had my cell number. As soon as he was promoted, he began using this knowledge to harass me about payment despite the agreement we had. LESSON TWO: The staff are not your friends. Ever. So don't give them additional information that they can later use to harass you further.

This gentleman (a euphemism I'll use for now; other words would be censored and unprofessional) began to insult my spouse and myself, threatening to personally throw us in jail for being deadbeats and all around horrible people... For being two weeks behind. Jail. For two weeks. Here's where we are probably in the wrong: we told him that if he came onto the property he'd be arrested for trespassing, and if he wanted the items he was welcome to take us to LESSON THREE: They can't throw you in jail. They can't call the cops and have them arrest you, or force you to give them their items back. Police are not debt collectors. They CAN, if corporate allows it, attempt to file criminal charges for theft of rental property, but corporate doesn't approve filing in the majority of cases.

They CAN take you to small claims court seeking a writ of replevin, which entitles them to bring a deputy out with the court order to search the area you habitually reside in for the property on the court order. They did take us to court, and we didn't make the hearing because I was laid up with a severe migraine that day. They called the afternoon of the court date asking us to schedule a pickup. I welcomed them to come with a deputy and a court order, informed them that the call was being recorded, and they hung up. The days went by. I kept expecting them to come out with a deputy. They never did. The day before Thanksgiving of 2016 came, and my spouse and I were at the local grocery store. As we walked in, the same employee who'd started this harassment stalked up to us and started yelling about how he was going to throw us in jail, that we didn't ever pay a dime, and over and over about us being criminals.

I was proud of myself - I told him only to get away from me before I felt forced to call the police for stalking and harassment. My spouse and I walked past him and he FOLLOWED us through the produce section, yelling his fool head off. I got an employee to get the store manager. The RAC employee was gone by the time the grocery store manager came, but he said he'd heard enough and that he'd throw the RAC employee out if he saw him. When we got home, I looked up the court case. RAC had won a default judgment for $100, not the replevin they'd tried to convince me they had.

They were planning to double dip. LESSON FOUR: Check your state laws regarding your rights in small claims courts concerning RTO transactions. Most states only allow recoupment of fair market value, not the hyperinflation that these companies charge. I AM NOT ADVOCATING NOT PAYING YOUR BILLS. One should meet obligations. That goes for companies, too. Don't let yourself get screwed over. Don't let them threaten you.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

This is the worst company to ever rent from. I tried to update my information so that they could reach me. Nobody ever updated the information. They came to my house bamming and knocking on my door. I got so pissed until I just took all the money that I had paid them off just to get rid of these people. You never rent from Rent-A-Center again! This is a terrible company.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

They came to my house knocking and kicking on my door also looking in my windows. They damaged my door by kicking it and turning on my water outside. I spoke with the manager and he said that he could not tell me who the employee that he sent out but they fired him. I was told. Who knows but this is a bad company to deal with. I spoke with their attorney and I haven't heard anything else from them. They did not fix my door. Now they will not answer my calls.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

My girlfriend and I walked into Rent-A-Center in Jacksonville on Henderson Dr. for a laptop. I filled out the paperwork while my girlfriend looked for the computer. She found the one she wanted so we proceeded on talkin' to Rob. I got a call on my phone and while I was on the phone I noticed Rob drilling my girlfriend with questions, it pissed me off but I let it go at that moment. We left to get the electric bill and returned. As we carried on I made a call because one of my references did not pick up, as I told him what I was trying to purchase a laptop and I hear Rob drilling my girl again... This time I fire off like, why is it every time I get on the phone you're asking her questions? He responds, "I don’t know her and never seen her in my life." I say, "well don’t ask her ask me, I’m the one leasing not her."

He tells her she needs to call another store for an previous purchase that’s not related to my purchase. So she calls and at that moment Rob is still trying to ask her questions while she’s on the phone with the other store, so I basically tell Rob to shut TF up talkin' to my girl. At that point he refuses our business. I ask to see the manager Billy. I explained what happened with Rob, and Billy told me that my girlfriend had rented from another store and skipped out... HERE’S THE CATCH MY GIRLFRIEND'S NAME WASN'T ON ANY PAPERWORK IN THAT BUILDING. So how or why would they say that?

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I purchased a used fridge & stove from Rent-A-Center in Cleveland, Ohio from their Broadway East 55th store location. They told me the insurance for their things were mandatory, so, I pay for that and they said if anything go wrong they will be out to fix it. I wasn't able to use my stove for a whole month and they asked me to be patient with them. I was patient for 3 weeks and after that they schedule me an appointment without me knowing and expected me to just take off work. The manager ** wasn't no help. I called his manager ** whom never answered or returned my calls. Every time, I was told to give them 48 hrs. I finally heard from ** (the regional manager) who sounded as if he was so annoyed. Throw the whole company away. First and last time ever doing business with them. Never again, everyone stay away. Don't even make them your last option.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

I have been a loyal customer for over 10 years in spite of RAC and their ignorant tactics, but no more! They are liars and their customer service sucks **! They are nothing more than simple crooks and have no respect for long-time customers! They harass you constantly if you are just one day late on a payment. They really suck! I will never do business with them again ever! The only reason I did business with them is no interest! Stay away unless you want them up your butt constantly! NEVER AGAIN!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I purchase A television From Renter Center In Coney Island, Brooklyn, NY. When the TV was delivery to me not in the box it was suppose to come in. It was delivery to me in a blanket from day one I was telling the Manager Willie **. The TV was cutting on and I would have to take out plug then plug back in to come on. And after complaining over and over again someone can and as the manager said they reset TV. It was still doing the same thing. I went back over and spoke to the BOSS Phil while the manager Willie ** was on vacation for his birthday in South Carolina.

I never missed a payment always on time. The TV goes out. I contact Willie **. I was told I didn't have insurance and it's nothing that can be done to fix. The cost will be all mines. And that's after Willie ** the manager had the broken TV for three weeks which I thought was being fix. I pay for this TV out my SSI faithfully 119 dollars for 11 months. They are wrong on so many levels. Don't buy or rent for them. Never. They are horrible people and disgusting Business.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I'm a disabled veteran, 100%, I have fallen behind on my payments. I'm trying to catch up, the manager calls and threatens to have me arrested. I pay every 2 weeks, she calls every single week, payment not due for another week but still she harasses me for payment. I just paid her a few days before, well it has been 2 weeks and 2 days, so yes I'm late but I've been in hospital and can't pay yet. There is no talking to her. First you cannot get a word in as she is rude and threatening but also honestly her accent is so thick I cannot understand anything in my machine except have me arrested. If I had the means I would get furniture elsewhere but I just l lost everything. Having to move because the place we rented before was overtaken with roaches that we paid to try to exterminate as the owners really didn't care about anything but rent, wouldn't fix anything, only got worse as house next door that was abandoned was torn down.

I always catch up on late payment, been late a few times, I'm trying and tell her I will pay next week, but she just tells me I'm going to jail. Don't know what to do. Tired of it but needed to have a bed and couch as I can barely move so I'm at a loss. The threats of arrest scares me. I have never been in any trouble in my life. I felt admit I'm behind on my payment, but when she calls every single week and I pay every 2 weeks, I'm not behind, even then she threatens me, I and my family have saved every single recording... Although she talks so fast and with thick accent, you can clearly make out the that's at the end and sadly that's about all you can make it. I plan on paying as soon as my husband gets paid, also according to my receipts the amount she now claims I owe from my last payment don't add up, suddenly I owe more than I did a month ago? This makes no sense.

Threatening people instead of listening is a sad way to do business. She says she doesn't care if I'm in the hospital, doesn't care that because of me being there for many weeks my husband lost his job so he could stay be my side. When is it okay to treat customers the way we are treated? That survey you ask me to fill out, will I recommend rent a center to family and friends... NO NEVER IN MILLION YEARS WOULD I WANT ANYONE TO GO THROUGH WHAT I'M GOING THROUGH, it was bad enough losing everything, now the constant threats... It's too much, just too much!!!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I bought a dishwasher from the Yuba City California store. It worked ok for about a month. My first mistake was buying from them in the first place! I then called them to tell them about the problem of it breaking down. To their credit they did bring me a loaner and took mine to "fix" it. When they brought it back to me they didn't even look at it! I called them again and the same thing happened two more times! To top it all off I don't have a dishwasher, I'm out that money and I HAVE COCKROACHES! They wouldn't take responsibility for the dishwasher or the COCKROACHES! Save your money and go somewhere else! Or you will not only have a bad appliance but COCKROACHES to contend with!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I have rented a bedroom twice from Rent-A-Center in Fredericksburg VA. They are some of the worst people I have ever dealt with. They refuse to work with you and if you want to change your pay date you have to pay extra. I have never experienced such horrible customer service. They got mad because I was not answering the phone when I was SLEEPING, THEN HAD the NERVE to COME to my HOUSE and DEMAND PAYMENT when I was HOME and JUST got out of bed.

I am giving them back the furniture and WILL NEVER EVER RENT from THEM AGAIN. I have never been so embarrassed and scolded like a child because I did not answer my phone because I was sleeping. Rent-A-Center in Fredericksburg - do not ever rent from them. They are rude, and make you feel embarrassed when you do not answer the phone.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

I recently went into the store to see if I could get a computer. I tried those other rental places and I felt pushed to a product I did not want. As I entered the store I was greet by Shane. He was very polite, gave me his name and asked for mine. What I loved the most Shane asked me what I was looking for and asked my budget which I thought was awesome. I was at 3 other stores earlier that day including Aaron's and they were very pushy and the way I was greeted by Shane was awesome and had a great smile, dressed very well. He was very knowledgeable and showed me what I was looking for and price. He explained that the items at their store have a worry free guarantee and after we talked he asked if the computer would be the best fit for my needs. I did the process to do rental of it.

The one thing I did see he did call and talk with my boss and my landlord right there and my mom in Wyoming even know I brought proof of my job and where I lived. I asked why, Shane explained that to finish the process before I could leave with it he had to make sure all was verified in case needed updated numbers he could get in touch with. After all was ready to go we sat down talked about extra benefits and coverages of the items they offered which was awesome. He explained the payments and went over my paydays made payment went thru paperwork and left happy.

But when I got home it was close to 730 and I could not get my computer online. I called and explained I just bought it. Asked for Shane, he said the store just closed but was almost finished up and asked when would be ok to stop by and get it going. I asked if tonight would be ok on his way home to get it going. He stopped by and got it working. Showed me how to hooked it up correctly for future use. He left me his card and said if there was anything else I needed the store would be opening tomorrow at 10am. I would recommend Rent-A-Center to anyone needing computers...

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

I Ciera ** just wanted to take time out to let you know that your 216 High St. store in Pottstown PA 19464 are GREAT!!! **, and her people are very nice. They go out of their way to do everything they can for their customers!!! My family had a lot of trouble with this store in the past, but we decided to give them another chance and I am glad we did. We started back again with them in January 15th 2016 getting 2 desktops and paid them off in no time. Then we gotten 2 Alienware laptops paid them off right after the desktops.

Now we have 1 Xbox ones and a washer that we are currently paying them off now. We also have a family member paying on a xbox one also. My husband and I cannot buy our kids stuff by just going out and buy our children stuff like computers etc. but with a place like Rent A Center we can. THANK GOD for places like yours around!! But anyway I just want to let you know that it's not the company that is great it is the employees and you picked the right people to work there. Do not change anything with this store!!! These women and men that work there are GREAT!!! THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

RAC Acceptance NOW is an organization that is extremely crooked and to put it honestly they are thieves. What are the laws that protect stupid customers, such as myself? We purchased a washer and dryer set and a television from our local furniture store with a RAC Acceptance NOW company inside. We have continued to pay on the items thinking we would pay it off early. Well here we are 2.5 years later and 3900.00 paid. We have requested that we be paid off as we have now paid 3 times what the merchandise is worth, 3 times what it would cost if we were to walk in to a store and pay for the exact same items brand new today. We have priced the exact washer and dryer set and television, actually a better one, and the price would be $1200.00 to 1300.00, give or take sales tax. What can we do? We feel like we have paid our dues to this company who is unwilling to help us.

The washer and dryer now do not work like they did when we first purchased them, as a matter of fact the washer has caused rips and tears in some of our towels. The television's picture quality comes and goes as well. All the company has said is they can send the television out to see if it needs repairs, leaving us without one and they also said they could possibly send someone out to check on the washer and dryer. All we want to know is, is there a cap on Rent-A-Center items and is there a 'reasonable' cost for such items? Paying 5,000 dollars is ridiculous and we understand that but do we have an argument? Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

I have had a Rent-A-Center account for 6 or more years. Always did business with the El Cajon location but I now live in Chula Vista so I went to Chula Vista one to get a tv. And could not believe the crappy service. They told me they had to check my references again and has no time till Wednesday. WHAT. Makes no sense to recheck and I have bought a tv, 3 laptops, 2 sets of washers and dryers, ps3, sound systems and an entertainment center. REALLY think I am good to go. Even tried to go back again for more of the run around bs. This location is the worst service I have ever seen. I am a general manager and I have a 4 stars on Yelp. This place makes me not ever want to use Rent-A-Center ever again. Not how to make a profit. Sorry Rent-A-Center lost a customer.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

Folks, please read and review all of this review prior to using "Rent-A-Center" better known as "Rip-Off-Center". "Rent-A-Center" is all nice and welcoming at first but become late paying them you will regret you ever entered a business relationship with them. Last year I suffered 2 surgeries and it cost me a significant amount of money even after my health insurance policies paid their share. When I came from the hospital and the rehab centers I had to take a long absence from work (3 months) as I was unable to go back to my office to work. My company informed me take as long as you need and return to work when you are all better and I was relieved to hear that.

During the time I was hospitalized my bills got behind and my credit took a big hit and I did have a very good credit score before I became sick. But after not paying my monthly bills on time for months my credit score got so low I could not buy a bicycle or a postage stamp on time so there was no way I could finance anything on time. I really wanted to get a new computer and a new 4K HDTV however I did not have the resources to purchase them. I had a family gathering at my house as many relatives, friends and family came over to see me and see how I was doing.

During conversation one of my friends had mentioned he was in the same type of situation before and he found out how he could purchase items like TV's, furniture and all types of monthly items on time and it did not matter how good or bad your credit was. I said to him, "Are you serious? Where may I ask did you do this?" He replied, "Rent-A-Center" as they are the best and all I had to do was fill out an application, show my driver’s license, make the first monthly payment on what I wanted to buy and provide 3 verifiable references with phone numbers and addresses and I had all my stuff in a few days". It sounded really good and this was for sure something for me in my current situation, however I should have never listened to what I call him now, "A Walking-Talking Rectum" as he was so full of crap... that his eyes were brown.

I went online to "Rent-A-Center" and everything he said checked out and I completed the application and I was approved for a new computer, new 65 inch 4K HDTV and the TV stand to go with it for $186.99 a month for 18 months and after I pay everything for the full 18 months everything I own. A few hours later someone from "Rent-A-Center" called me and asked me what time can I come down to the store to complete everything and I told him tomorrow afternoon. He said fine and we will see you then. I went down the next day and signed and completed everything and 2 days later they delivered and set up everything for me and they seemed like really nice people to do business with and I was glad. For the first 6 months I paid my monthly payments on time without any problems or issues however the next month I forgot and overlooked the monthly payment to them and I simply forgot and did not realize I was late on the payment.

One night about 6:00 pm I hear someone banging on my front door so loud I thought someone was hitting it with a baseball bat and I opened the door and there is the 400 pound guy standing there with a clipboard and his "Rent-A-Center" shirt on and I asked, "What do you want and who might you be and if you did any damage to my door you will paying for it you got it...?" He says to me, "I am from Rent-A-Center and you are late on your monthly payment and I am here to take all your items back". I replied, "I am sorry however I forgot to make the payment and don't you people believe in making a phone call to the customer first to inform them that their monthly payment is overdue...?" He replied, "Sometimes we do and sometimes we don't, however I need to take back all your items immediately".

I replied, "Well I got news for you as you are not taking anything back and if you do not leave and get off my property you are going to be very sorry...!" He replied, "You need to give me all your items now or I will have to come into your house and take them all myself". I replied, "You go right ahead and attempt that as I want you to do that...!" He replied, "No problem as after I leave here I am going to contact law enforcement and file charges against you". I replied, "Go right ahead and I will wait for them to arrive" and he replied, "Sure thing and have a good night and as well go ** yourself...".

I immediately called the store and demanded to speak to the manager and he came on and I explained the situation and he said, "Yes our guy was there to pick up all your items as you are late on your monthly payment and if you do not surrender the items we will file charges against you". I was so angry, mad and upset I told him, "You know what have someone come out tomorrow afternoon and take all your items back as I would never do any type of business with you or your lousy outfit ever again...".

The next day some other guy came and I told him at the door, "Listen and listen up good you got 5 minutes to take your items out of my house and get off my property and not a second more...!". He knew I was serious and within 5 minutes he took everything and got in his van and was going down the street. I called the store and asked for the manager and when I got him on the phone I said, "You got all your items back and your ** will suck wind for the rest of the payments on all those items and if you or anyone else from your company every comes here again or on my property I will call law enforcement and press charges of trespassing on my private property...! And I hung up.

The next day I contacted my State Attorney General’s office and I filed multiple complaints against "Rip-Off-Center" and I am waiting to hear back from them on it. As I stated from the beginning of this review DO NOT USE OR CONDUCT ANY BUSINESS WITH "Rent-A-Center" as if your monthly payment gets behind they will try to "** you 6 ways from Sunday" any way they can. To add here I know a few other people who have rented from another lousy outfit called "Aaron's" and they are no better than "Rent-A-Center" as all they told me was nightmare stories as well. Best of luck to all of you out there...!

Rent-A-Center Company Information

www.rentacenter.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use