2.73/5

Looking for a good furniture store?

1081 Rent-A-Center Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 9, 2019

Even though I do got to admit their stuff is really great my kids love their beds. We love our love set and couch but when I first called I got told that my beds would cost a certain amount. I go in to pay it's a different price. I got told that they would fix that price. Call back today the price is still the same. Don't like being lied to and I would not recommend ever going here again. So I called corporate. Hope corporate can fix it or I'll go somewhere else.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I'm currently renting a stove from Rent-A-Center. The first day I received it, there was a terrible smell coming from the oven so we turned on the self clean option. Once the door locked, the door started melting!!! My house could've caught fire!! We called and told the store about it, an employee came out and took pictures and told us the manager would get back with us. We had to physically go to the store just to get an answer from them. Mind you this was 2 to 3 weeks later that we went to the store for answers. We were supposed to get a replacement stove but they never got half our replacement stove and now they just want to pick up their stove. Fine by me!!! Why should I pay for something that could've burned my house down??? NEVER GOING THROUGH THEM AGAIN!!!

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 2, 2019

I'm currently renting a bed from this place. I was told that the payment would be 86.62. I started on 3/5 and made the down payment shown on the contract. I went to sign in to make a payment on MY DUE DATE... Which these people called me 3 TIMES on to collect payment... on the day IT'S DUE... not past due... all of a sudden... I have 12.99 outstanding..(because of some bogus membership fee that I DECLINED) plus 8.99 AND now my 86.62 plus ANOTHER charge of 8.99. I called and asked what this 8.99 fee is... they said it's a fee they charge in case of damage..

They said and I quote "it's on your contract whether or not you were told". I told her that it's on the contract as "optional" and I DON'T AGREE TO OPTIONAL SERVICES. Now all of a sudden, I have to bring my renter's insurance in and the Corporate office is the only place that can take off this fee? I'm sorry, but you have committed FRAUD!!!! I will be filing with the Secretary of State's Business office as well. DO NOT RENT FROM HERE!!!

Original review: April 1, 2019

Rent-A-Center is absolutely horrible! Our experience here was a complete joke! On the due date (yes the due date, not after) they start calling for their money by late morning if you didn’t get pay. If you don’t pay on that exact due date they come to your door! I was three days late for literally $12 and they came with their big truck beeping to back up to my door banged on my door for five minutes and finally left with a sign on my door handle that they came. Talk about embarrassing. I made every payment on time so one would think that would show them that I will be paying and they don’t need to come harass me for $12 darn dollars! Do yourself a favor... Do not use Rent-A-Center! Also, the people in the store are so rude!

Original review: March 29, 2019

I would NEVER recommend anyone buy or rent from here! They are rude and when I called to inform them that I will be late they call 20 times a day and show up to bang on my door! My neighbors have told me while I was at work they were beating on my door for at least 10 minutes straight numerous times a day! When I arrived I saw that they left maybe 10-15 notes on my door. Some on the front doorstep entrance and the rest tucked in the cracks around my apartment door so that when I open the door they all fall. They’ve done that numerous times. They’re just all around a bad business and I’d NEVER recommend them or use them for myself in the future!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rent-A-Center?

Original review: March 29, 2019

Do not rent from this Rent-A-Center or any Rent-A-Center... My 29 your old daughter rents from them and she's not even the primary on the contract. Her fiance is and they keep calling me and harassing me before even trying to call my daughter for their payment when my daughter isn't even late and her payment is due the next day. They contact me instead of her and instead of anyone else on the list. And I've had a stroke and a tumor removed and 2 weeks ago I had a cerebral angiogram done on my brain. And in 19 days I'm having surgery again to try and prevent another stroke and I even called the manager of the store and he just tried talking above me and wouldn't let me explain anything. And so I called corporate and corporate basically said they can do whatever they like. So I'm going to change my phone number and I may even take this to court seeing that my blood pressure is Sky High now. I am NOT even a client and they are harassing ME!!!

Original review: March 29, 2019

I rented a bed for my son for Christmas. Made three payments on time. Had problems. This last month they would not work with me except to come get the bed. I usually go to Aaron’s where I ever had a problem. Will never go to Rent-A-Center again.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I have been renting a washing machine for 2 years from Rent-A-Center. I've had numerous problems with it. They come out fix it, then a few months down the road broken again. I have 1 more 80.00 payment to make and it's paid off. I called Rent-A-Center. Told them I want a replacement. They said they can't replace it they will repair it. The manager Carlos called me to schedule a time to come out and repair it. I'm off as of today so I asked if they could come out today. He said no I understood. He told me Wednesday between 8am-12pm he could schedule my appointment. I told him that's not good for me. I work 8-5pm.

He then told me I have to have open availability if I wanted it repaired. This got me upset that he wasn't willing to work with me. I told him I can't just call off work because my washing machine needs to be repaired. He was very rude, disrespectful and not helpful at all with my problem and hung up on me in a sarcastic way, saying bye bye. Me being very upset I called back to ask to talk to someone higher in command not Carlos. I proceeded to tell David my problems and how I just got treated. He basically told me I was lying that he was sitting right next to Carlos and that he wasn't rude at all. This got my blood pressure up that he was calling me a liar instead of resolving the problem with Carlos. He didnt apologize and try to make it any better so now I'm extremely upset now.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I leased a refrigerator for 2 months while my new refrigerator was manufactured. RENT-A-CENTER Memphis delivered me a refrigerator. When they disconnect my old unit, they did not completely shut off the valve in the wall connecting the ice maker. The rental refrigerator did not have an ice maker. In a couple of days I started having wet carpet in my dining room & den. Water had leaked from this valve under the kitchen floor and carpeting in my dining room & den. I have a huge mess. RENT-A-CENTER's insurance only wants to pay 50% of the cost to return my floors and wall to previous condition. The estimated cost to repair/replace walls, baseboard & flooring is more than $15,000! The insurance company is trying weasel out of doing the right thing. SHAME ON YOU!!!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

From the store in Searcy Arkansas all the way to the corporate department in Texas, they are all liars. I rented some furniture from the Searcy, Arkansas rent a center mid December 2018. First of all, they delivered the wrong tv and damaged 3 of my walls bringing the furniture in. Then when I got ready to make my first payment, out of nowhere the weekly price had doubled and all I was told is that I didn't read my contract correctly. Then I was told that some of the furniture was left off.

Of course, I read my contract correctly and it was the exact price that was agreed upon. If a mistake was made, how come no one informed me when it was caught??? I called corporate and eventually got to talk to the district manager who did nothing but spit one lie after another about what she would do. She stated she would make sure they rewrote the contract and give me the furniture for the price originally agreed upon. But mid January she stopped returning my calls. The store came under new management about the end of Jan. 2019 and the new manager did nothing but lie as well. I was constantly told that they would honor the original agreement but in the end, about mid February, I was told to either pay what they wanted me to pay or they could come and get the furniture.

Of course, I let them come and pick up the furniture mid February. You can't scam me into paying twice as much than what was originally quoted!! The best part of the whole ordeal was that they didn't tear up my walls when they came to pick up the furniture. This was by far the worst rental experience I have ever had. I will never rent from them again and will discourage all of my friends and family from renting there. Incompetent or just plain scam artist... I'm not even sure which one they are but I'm just happy to be rid of them. NEVER AGAIN!!!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I had gotten a couch from Rent-A-Center about 5 months ago and recently my daughter spent 3 wks in the hospital so I could not go to work. And I called And told them to come pick up the couch because I will not be able to make my payment because I have been off work. However they never showed at the scheduled time claiming they went to the wrong house so the day my child was released 1 wk later they called me.

I told them I was at the hospital and that my child was being released that night and that I would call them when I got home with her and they could come pick it up. They showed up at my house before I got home. Told my 11 yr old son I sent them there to get the couch and thAt he had to let them in. They went in and took the couch with no adult present and bullied my son into letting them in. I got home 15 minutes later. They didn’t even attempt to call me when they were at my door. It’s like I was dodging them. I told them to pick it up when I got home. I will never do business with them ever again. I called and made a complaint but that worker is still working there like it was no big deal that he did that that way. Be careful when dealing with them because an adult does not have to be present for them to go in your house.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I’ve been with Rent A Center for 5 plus years and have bought many many items from them. The past year I was in an car accident and my payments have been a few days late however I call and let them know. Even if payment is late we still make. I ordered a king size bed for my son two weeks before Christmas 2018. The reps at the store told me there was a delay getting the bed due to Christmas. I understood that, No problem.

Three weeks into the new year and still no bed. Five weeks after new year the store manager I have been with for years tells me that the cooperation denied sending the bed due to my payment history. Seriously after everything we have bought from Rent A Center, I mean my whole house almost is furnished by them!!! Plus you waited weeks to tell me the reason I couldn’t get the bed! We gave my sons old bed away! Thinking the new bed was on the way!!! My buying is stopped. I will never buy anything from them again! They’ve lost a long time customer!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I have never done business with this company before, came in stressed and upset because my washer that was purchased with Best Buy was broken and I was given the runaround to get it fixed. (Yes, I purchase an extended 5yr warranty.) After 3 weeks I stopped into the Happy Valley Rent-A-Center. I was treated so great. JP was so understanding and helped me to fix my issue all in one visit. I had a plan and a scheduled delivery all in 20 mins! I have a 2yr old and was at my breaking point, JP explained the process and made it so simple! I have learned that this company had not only great employees but has great customer service! TORI and JP are amazing and deserve way more than just a pat on the back! Thank you from one stressed out overwhelmed momma!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I have bought a portable air conditioning unit, I called to ask how to get a new filter. They said they don't have any, and don't know where to get one, The manager Dave who's photo hangs on the wall "HORRIBLE". I also bought a bedroom set. Gave half to my sister due to lack of space. I have had 57 hip surgeries, a full humerus repair, and triple back fusion. I've always paid my bills, it's my motto. These guys called my sister, landlord, while I was in a coma. I also am a former Paralegal so I don't take **. How embarrassing, spoke to a corporate officer, he is just like his management.

Nevertheless the bedroom set was out together improperly along with the air conditioning unit, my landlord has repaired both items, he knows I'm handicapped and cannot do it myself. If I could tell ANYONE interested in using this company, keep a subfolder of all your payments, be sure the item is new, not used, I have a hole in my hip, I need a mattress to cushion my wound. This is my second mattress, I despise this company with every bit of me. I get a call this morning 2/2/19, I'll remind you I just paid them 200.00 on 1/30/2019. Josh calls me, I returned the call, asked, "What could you possibly want from me today, I just paid $ 200.00 a few days ago, I'm terminally ill." He states my payment is due. I'd say poor communication, lack of empathy for ANYONE.

I wouldn't start a lawsuit at this point although I can, I'm familiar with the laws and pleadings. People do your research, keep notes, records, print receipts, keep copies, anything that can save you from being harassed, I'll never do business with this company AGAIN. Corporate has to see all these negative comments, I'd say they are the next company to be closed due to some laws being broken.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

First off part of the headboard almost fell off during the night. It's a heavy headboard. It could have killed us. The mattress is horrible, when I asked for a replacement they wanted me to buy it so they could in turn rent it to me. They are extremely rude. I DO NOT RECOMMEND them in Norman Oklahoma.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

On Jan 3rd 2019 my payment was due and I paid them using their app. Well the payment was taken out and not showing up on their end and they wanted the 3 things I got off them. Now the 2 of things are almost paid for and the one was returned to them. They wanted my bank statement and card number and PIN number. I gave them my bank statement and they wanted my card number and PIN so they call my bank and get info. I told them no and told them I need to block out my card number. They would not let me block out card number and keep my bank statement! And then when I found out why the payment was not in their system I called back down and right away and told them as soon as hits back on card I will bring it and pay. They said, “No we want all your info card number and PIN because we are going to call your Bank!” So I called the 1 800 number and I'm still waiting on someone to call me back.

I have always made my payment to them and now that the 2 things are almost paid off one is 200 and one is 300 and they are paid off for, they look at you like you’re are piece of **. When you get disability check and you pay monthly and the bull crap benefit plus is a joke. I asked I could use it till the money got put back on my card and they said NO!!! And all I'm doing is waiting for the money to get back on and pay the bill but as soon everything is paid off I will never go to Rent-A-Center ever again. I don't care if something I really need like a fridge, stove, washer and dryer. I will try to find a second hand. And as for the Rent-A-Center where I go to make payments all of them idiots in need to be fired because when I go in there I'm nice as can be but I hold my tongue from what I really wanna say to them and they don't give a flying donkey ** if you lose your job, or your hrs get cut back or pay get cut.

They don't wanna help ya all. They lie so much and I hate Rent-A-Center with Passion. Can't wait till everything is paid off so I can tell them where to go because I won't hold my tongue then and I hope corporate work see this and maybe something will be done about how their workers treat us. Maybe they should go undercover and get something and see how they treated when the checks get cut back or they lose a job and then see what we go through. And oh yeah after I'm done with Rent-A-Center you can bet your ponies I will do a live feed on Facebook about them.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I would not recommend Rent-A-Center to anyone who reads this especially if you are a veteran or government employee. I bought and paid off several items from Rent-A-Center - currently have a TV that I have been paying for faithfully up until the recent government shutdown. They have been harassing me coming to my house calling any and everybody. Tried to get it worked out where I could make a double payment as soon as I get my check and they turned it down and was not willing to resolute with me at all. I refuse to do a new agreement so at this point I am officially done with rentals. If I can't afford it at that time well then maybe it's just not meant to be. And for this same TV that they tack on 1000% interest - I might add - I can go to Best Buy and get for $500.00 and be done with it altogether. After all this Rent-A-Center you showed your true colors and I'm done.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

Hi my name is Dawn. I just want to say that I have never met a store full of such welcoming voices every time I call as the RAC in Egg Harbor on Black Horse Pike. Most of all I am thankful for Sean. He goes above and beyond. He personally handles my account, as I have been a customer for about 5-6 years now and invested $43,000 to date. In that time as we all know life hits unexpected snags and Sean has been through everything with me from big situations like my parent's death, and sister's suicide, to little situations like just not getting my pay on time.

No matter what the situation he has always put his faith and trust in me that if I couldn't make a payment (which at times I couldn't pay for weeks) he trusted I would pay. He worked through every situation with me as long as I communicated with him what was going on. He always assures me we will get through this. He does not just treat you like a customer that never has problems. He makes you feel like family. He helps you want to stay a customer forever. If any place to get all the furniture needs this is it. Yeah I can try other places closer to home but working with Sean and being greeted so nicely by the store employees is definitely worth the extra distance. I must say if Sean ever left, I honestly don't know if I would want to stay though, as he is what makes you feel like more than a customer. The most I have ever seen in my lifetime of stores.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Got a king size bed, decided to pay it off early, save some money, so I paid it off 5 months after I got it. The 6th month, I noticed the bed was sagging, within 2 more months, the bed was so bad, I couldn't sleep in it. I called them, they claimed there was nothing they could do because it was paid off. After a few more months I decided no, I paid almost $2000 for this mattress set, called them back, they gave me a number to call, talked to someone and they said they would call me back. That was over a year ago and they still haven't called. I will NEVER buy anything from them again! Expensive lesson learned!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I’m five days late... Called the store to ask for another extension. The Store customer service rep. - said schedule a pick up, and then I can pay up and then they will return the item. I’m a government worker... dealing with the crunch of no raise, and income check has been rescheduled. I called all my creditors to make arrangements for payments- they all agreed and understand. Rent-A-Center is the only company that won’t work with me. I only asked for 5 more days until I get paid. The REDLANDS CA store will not work with you.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

Hello everyone. I would like to share my experience with store # 166292 San Antonio Texas Rent-A-Center. When I first looked into renting to own a few things from Rent-A-Center I was very excited. I made an online payment and waited days for my things to arrive. Now back to me waiting days I was told several times that they were going to deliver my items on a specific day and they didn't nor did they call me to inform me they were not going to arrive that day. I had to call a few times for a few days and finally they delivered the items. Mistake #1.

The next bad experience I have had is harassment. This company will call you non-stop they day of your payment. They don't give any breaks if you don't answer. They will continue to call until you answer. They don't care if you are at work. If you talk to them on the phone and make arrangements with them they will still show up at your house. You could have spoke to them that day and said I'm going to make a payment over the phone they will still come to your house. This company don't care. World stay away from these folks. There are so many other companies like Conn's who are so much better.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

Bought a cell Galaxy8s from rent a center. They Guarantee to fix products. Yet it seem most of their workers do not know their company's policy and give misguided information that affects you the consumer purchases on getting fix. In my case a simple crack on two ends on my phone. Being rejected and told they are not liable for that you are. To then being told later after speaking to their superiors that they made the mistake and will fix it now. To only tell you the phone's damage is beyond repair due to a prolong wait and damages expending beyond what they expected due to a prolong wait on a crack that now affects the led of the phone. This company should ensure their workers know their policies. Loyal client since 1993. Don't waste your time on them with your money.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I recently rented a few items from Rent-A-Center and after a few months I started to get behind due to pay decrease this time of year right now. I drove in on Friday, December 15, 2018 and asked if I could pay for the washer and dryer since I had $200 on my card. I was told it is all or nothing for $310. I said, "I cannot do that much. Schedule the pickup and I will work on paying the debt off of $310 that month."

It became 6 pm Sunday night; everything sitting in my living room all day but no one called or showed up. I call them at 6:03 pm and they said they cannot do it, Monday now. No call, no nothing of a heads up, I stayed close to home that day and from 2-6 I made sure to be home and re-scheduled a few things. Monday comes by and I am back at work. I call them and get told they cannot pick up again, but, when can I pay the $190? I said “I was told Friday that it had to be $310 only is the minimum”. Then, I get told to stay on hold. Credit manager now on phone. He said I can pay the $190 now and keep it all or just the washer and dryer – I told him if he told me that Friday when I drove in to their store I would have paid the $190 and we would all be better off and caught up. But since I was told otherwise I paid another bill and the money gone.

Now they tell me another week I have to wait to have it picked up since they are too busy. This place has NO COMMUNICATION between customers or employees. Someone is always sick so they cannot help or something else happened. And when I come to explain my story for the month I get told all or nothing (yes going on 3 weeks due on a bi-weekly pay schedule for RAC). It is like a game there whether you call in or come in.

I am so frustrated and will NEVER go to RAC and will tell everyone and social media about my experience to help others from being in this trap. I really need a washer and dryer and that is why I drove it to communicate this and see what we could do to save it and use my $200 I had – but again, no - there was no option, probably because everyone out sick since she was the only one there and looked and sounded all stressed out on that 15th day in December of 2018.

What can RAC do to help this cluster of a mess? I know and took ownership of being the 3 weeks late now, but was ready and tried to work it out 3 days before. Now they cannot pick up and try to pressure me into keeping it all??? Where is the customer centric obsessiveness for customer service? It is like I am making their lives harder by walking into the store.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

Rent-A-Center is a blessing for people who don’t have good credit or a large amount of money to put down. The downside is you are paying triple what the item is worth. With the paperwork that they give I was able to look up the serial number to see how much my tv was worth. It sells online brand new for $900 and they were charging me almost $3000 for the tv if I didn’t pay it off within 90 days, on top of that the tv I got from them was used. People who don’t have good credit don’t need to be further ripped off if they’re already in a bad situation to begin with. So thanks but NO thanks.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

Don't ever purchase anything from Rent-A-Center on Hesters Crossing. My son got a used black leather living room set from them which smells really badly of cigarette smoke. They sent some guy to treat it twice, and both times, all he did was use something to mask the odor. Some guy name Jason has been giving us the runaround for the last 2 weeks. Every single time we call, we are told that he's out sick, had to leave for a manager's meeting, or had a family emergency. It's funny how once they get money from you, you no longer matter to them. I think I will just give them their stuff back, and advise any and everyone looking for furniture or whatever not to ever go them! They don't care about their customers, and everyone working there is fake, and a liar! I know Jason was there each and every time we called, but had everyone lying for him.

This place is a joke, and I will never deal with them again. Oh, don't forget, they will still take money out of your account even if the what you're are renting from them is defective, so buyer beware. Never give them your card number if you're smart. You'll be lied to saying they will compensate you by taking off a payment, but that's a lie and a lot of b.s.!!! Don't believe anything anyone tells you up there. There's also some other guys by the name of Phil and Mike who are just as bad as Jason. Bottom line, save your money and go somewhere where you will be treated like a customer; not like a problem. Never go to Rent-A-Center; you will live to regret it!!!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I have purchased several items from Rent-A-Center but this surround sound is the worst. First off 3 parts of the speaker system is blown then it didn't come with a remote control. After several attempts to get one I gave up. Then the system started cutting off by itself. I never been unhappy about any of my products that I got there before but I'm really unhappy about this product. I will be returning it. It's a LG Blu-ray CD surround sound system.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I purchased a washing machine from Huntingdon RAC, I made the first payment and when it was delivered he scratched the wall in my hallway firstly. Then the piece I needed to use it didn't fit, so I had to wait for them to get it. Before I got that piece I paid the used machine off which was stupid on my part. Wayne knocked 50$ off the price since I was complaining so much about laundromat prices. Got that piece it still wouldn't work. The mechanism keeps popping off. I saw that it would fit my shower hose and I finally was able to use it and wish I hadn't. IT'S BROKEN!!! THEY SAID IT JUST CAME FROM THE SERVICING DEPT. It made green slimy chunks all over my clothes. It stunk up my house. The drain hose was full of slime that got all over the shower when I drained the water. It didn't spin. THIS IS THE SECOND HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE I've had at RAC. I'm done.

The last one was a computer I paid off on a Friday and it fried the following Monday. I'm done. I want my money back from this washer. I refuse to wait for them to take it back and have it forever to do nothing and get it back still broken like my computer. RAC used to be a good place to purchase belongings. NO MORE. I was a good customer. NOT ONCE DID THEY HAVE TO TRACK ME DOWN TO PAY. I've bought entire households full of furniture from y'all, Your Huntingdon store needs emptied and all new employees. The last time you did that at that same store you hired worse people though. I want my money back or I'm going to the CFPB.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

Well I just want to know are they allowed to turn off your power from the outside of your home and hop people fences. At night. In the driveway. Having the beeping noise on the truck going on and on for 20 minutes. Flashing light inside your windows. Ringing the doorbell and knocking abruptly.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

Ordered a TV online and was told they would contact us to finalize it. Never heard from them so we called them. We were told they didn't have the tv we wanted but I could get a comparable one. The "comparable" product was $120 extra per month, I said no thanks. I picked out another, and the price came out to $25 more than advertised. The employer said that it was because of "taxes", but I didn’t the math and it didn’t match up. the employee couldn’t explain the difference. Whatever, I'll pay the extra. But when it was all said and done they didn’t have that TV either. So I finally find one I want and get it ordered and scheduled for delivery. We wait all day on the scheduled day and come 4pm they haven’t shown up. I call to confirm and they assure me the TV is on the way. This is coming from the manager. I’m still waiting for my TV to show up and haven’t heard anything from the manager. Worst customer service ever.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I called to inquire about beds and the lady I spoke to stated she would call me back in less than 5 minutes. 45-1 hour later, I called her and was on hold for 20+ min. She again said she'd call back within 5 min and promised at the latest, it would be before they closed at 7:30 pm. I haven't heard anything back from them so I called to cancel my request at 11:30 am. Don't promise something you can't follow through on. When I called this morning and guy answered and was very pleasant until I told him I wanted to cancel. Then he became short with me. Poor customer service overall. I will not consider going back or every recommending them to others.

Rent-A-Center Company Information