2. Homeowners
  3. Furniture Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.42/5

Looking for a new piece of furniture?

Shop for your home on Overstock

Visit Website

Looking for a new piece of furniture?

Shop for your home on Overstock

Visit Website

Rent-A-Center Reviews

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

Updated on 9/14/2019: I am still writing a review about 915 Ellis Avenue, Jackson Mississippi 39204. Associate promise to follow up and failed to do so. Should have called my favorite manager ** the magician. Hurting!!

Original Review: I am making a review on the Rent-A-Center At 915 Ellis Avenue, Jackson, Mississippi, 39204. How does first week free turn into I have to make a payment upfront. I love my store but I detest false ads.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

So my husband and I got a 55" flat screen tv and were told the monthly fee, and setup the due date. However, when we called to pay the first few months, they would ask us how much we wanted to pay. My hubby was out of work a few days and they made "a payment arrangement" which turned out to be a change in how we pay. Now we were paying every 2 weeks. Which they told us, was cheaper than paying monthly. They could never give us exact numbers of how much we owed, it was just how much do you want to pay?

We continued paying bi-weekly and they would literally start calling THE DAY YOUR PAYMENT WAS DUE...SOMETIMES TWICE THAT DAY!! If you were late, let's say by 3 days, they were knocking at your door!! They don't even give you a chance to pay before they start harassing you. They called my job, when I was ONE DAY LATE!!!! We used Aaron's before and had a set amount and due date. I will never use RAC again!!!

Original review: July 27, 2019

Absolute worst people I have EVER dealt with. Our bed broke and we aren’t really of the financial means to go and pay full price for a bed, so we contacted Rent a Center. From the get go, these people were awful. The bed I wanted was not in stock at the store in Orchard Park, NY that I wanted so I was advised they would have to get the bed from another store so they couldn’t deliver same day. No big deal, I was willing to wait for the bed I wanted. This was on a Saturday so I set up delivery for the following Saturday to ensure I was home to accept the delivery since I was told it would take 3-5 business days for them to get the bed. I was also told I would get a free week from the promotion they were running.

From this point on, NIGHTMARE. I paid $46 upfront when my weekly payment was only $25. Then they tried to make me pay for the week I didn’t have the bed. Sorry, but I wasn’t my fault you didn’t have the product in stock. But they claimed my free week was the week I had to wait for the bed. I’m sorry, but my “free” week can not be a week I don’t have the product. My weekly payment is due every Saturday and I make the payment every Thursday when I get my paycheck. I do this because otherwise I will start being hounded with phone calls from Thursday until I make the payment.

This past week my family was out of town at a hospital for an issue my son was having. I was stressed beyond max and forgot about the payment. I received 2 voicemails EVERY SINGLE DAY. I called the store and advised I would make the payment when I got home. I’m not even home for an hour when these people send someone knocking on my door to collect a payment of a whopping $25. These people are unbelievable over this little amount of money. I work in customer service and never would I ever treat my customers like this. But if you enjoy being hounded and stalked, this is your company for sure.

Original review: July 20, 2019

I did a transaction over one year ago. One month ago I contacted them to find out the balance on my account because the website DOES NOT provide that information. At that time the lady told me two more bi-weekly payment of 100 and 129 respectively to close the account. Fast forward to today when I called to close the account, the rep now tells me it's 2 more payments of 100 and 110 left on the account. To make matters worse, there is no place on the website that you can check your balance.

Original review: July 12, 2019

Decent company to buy from. They are very quick but unprofessional. As I walking into the store, they were loading another customers product into the truck and they were just throwing the pillows into the dirty truck with no covers. I asked the manager if that's how they deliver them, and he said yet. With NO protect-ant on them. They charge you for tax on every payment you make every week and they do not have the option of convenience of letting you decide how much you'd like to pay off a week. They advertise "6 months same as cash" though they do not allow it to be easily accessed for paying online. You'd have to call in I’m sure.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rent-A-Center?

Original review: June 17, 2019

I have bought many products from them in the past and have never had an issue... But about a month month and a half ago my TV has started having issues and they have done nothing but give me the run around with it!!! I will not recommend them to anybody!! I am not happy with the service one bit and will not buy anything from them again!!

Original review: June 15, 2019

I rented a washer and dryer set, paid my payment yesterday 6/14/2019. I was assured they would deliver the set by 1pm today 6/15/2019. It's now 1:40 pm and no delivery! I called and was told they are behind due to corporate guy came to store and had them tied up all morning. Not my problem and quite frankly poor business. If you say 1 pm stick to it and corporate needs to have meetings after business hours!

Original review: June 6, 2019

The store in Langley Square Shopping center is the worse one to go in. If I truly have to pay my bill in the store I'll only deal with Angie. Her customer service is A1. I could see if I was a customer who's always late but I'm the opposite. I just can't wait til it’s all paid off so I won’t have to deal with it. Get new staff and keep Angie.

Original review: June 6, 2019

PLEASE NEVER SHOP WITH RENT-A-CENTER. You will regret it before they even give you a receipt. I purchased a living room set from them, 2 end tables, a middle table and 2 lamps that have never worked. Talked about upset from the moment they backed their vehicle into my home to deliver. Bringing the furniture in, they scratched my wall, knocked my corner beads loose and knocked the paint off. Asked me to look at and didn't even mention the option to call the store to file an insurance claim because of their damages. Also, they are very disrespectful from the manager to the lowest paid person in the store. I called them and explained what had taken place. The store manager's only concern was "Will you still be making your payment this weekend"?

At this point, I'm like "Are you serious, this is the only thing you're worried about". How about fixing what your delivery drivers messed up and offering some lamps that work. Yes I purchased my own light bulbs and tested them just to make sure that wasn't the issue. And it wasn't the light bulbs. They actually did not work. I told them to pick up their items and if my home gets messed up any more than it was that I would sue. Shaking my head. They are so horrible. PLEASE NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH RENT-A-CENTER.

Original review: June 4, 2019

I've been a customer of these guys for almost a year now. The communication between their management and employees is near non-existent, so if you need to speak with a manager/supervisor about anything, don't expect your message to be relayed. Their staff has been very unprofessional and doesn't seem to listen to their customers, as I've had to repeat myself on multiple occasions. Won't be recommending to anyone, and will not do any further business with this company.

Original review: May 28, 2019

I currently was renting from a store located in Reading PA. I fell behind in payment due to my partner passing away in Oct 2019. I made a complaint due to a worker being extremely rude and yelling at me in front of my neighbors. When I reported him I was transferred to a store 30 minutes away and when I came home they piled my door with over 30 stickers. When I called to see what happen the manager laughed and hung up the door. To take it further he sent me a harassing text messages on my personal cell number. I have never felt so scared and so intimidated in my life. This is the second time they violated my door even after I was transferred to a store 30 minutes away.

Original review: May 18, 2019

I rented a laptop from Rent-A-Center. After 3 months I notice a clicking sound whenever I opened or closed the laptop, then the hinge failed. This is a well known issue with HP laptops. I called up the store, was told a loaner would be given till this one gets worked on. The laptop was taken back to the Rent-A-Center, Riverview, Florida. They refuse a loaner, saying this could have been my fault! After 12 days they now say I can get a loaner because HP says it wasn't my fault, but a design flaw from them! And I was paying an extra $10 monthly just to be able to bypass this terrible situation, $75 altogether. Terrible service. And now they can stay with the laptop. I will find another rental center or buy a laptop and things will be better! I use this for working from home. I can't be waiting 12 days for another laptop! Crazy!

Original review: May 17, 2019

Negative stars across the board. I am a commercial driver. I work out of town and always pay my bills when I return home. This idiot Jason keeps calling and harassing me saying I said I would be back on the 15th when I told him the 18th. I have spent more than a 1600 dollars with them and they want to keep harassing me and playing games. I am on a oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico. We do not bring our wallets out. Just our ID and dive certs. I left a review last week that they deleted from their website. I am so sick and tired of this crap.

On top of that found out they charge almost double retail value on their stuff. I've never rent to own anything before and the only reason I did it this time was a time crunch to get a bigger couch for family that was coming in for Xmas. I've had enough. I'm going to the Better Business Bureau as well as the Consumer Affairs office and filing a lawsuit against them for my money back as I will be having them pick their ** up on Tues, when I return to San Diego since I will be flying into LAX and staying in LA till Tue. Do not use these clowns. You have been warned. Me yesterday at work at 49 Gom Joe Alfred oil platform.

Original review: May 6, 2019

Would never go back nor recommend to anyone ever!!! Very unprofessional people who screwed up with me since the very beginning. They had my payments set for every week when I clearly told them in person I get paid every two weeks. We set up a date for delivery and I didn't see them all day that day. No calls or anything, FIRST TWO RED FLAGS! But I still gave them chance after chance because maybe I was just crazy. Hell no. Don't waste your money or your time.

I had a washer and dryer set from here, the dryer took 3 hours to dry the smallest load of clothes. They knew about this since the day they delivered to me. They will not refund me for a product I had that never worked when I got, it and I've had it for months. They claimed it might be the brand (Amana) and I went along with that ** knowing damn well that doesn't matter. They were supposed to bring me a new dryer, never did. So I decided I would no longer pay for a broken dryer because then they'll have no choice but to communicate. I'm completely right. They called me for a payment. I told them I'm not paying for this anymore while it's broken and to come get it. That's when they were like, "Do you want the new dryer." The new dryer that they were supposed to bring weeks ago and never did!! I'm mad asf and refuse to let this happen to anyone else. DO NOT SPEND YOUR MONEY HERE!!!!

Original review: May 4, 2019

From start to finish it was a nightmare. Number one I ordered my bed online as well as my TV. They told me they had to go to another store to get my bed. I was fine with that. However I told her clear as day that I needed mattresses as well she she said ok. So keep in mind I work 2 jobs and I am in school an I work two Jobs so my free time is limited. I went in an paid for my merchandise on 05/01/2019 I was told I would have next day delivery. Well the next day I left work early to be there an they didn't show up. So I call them they told me 04/05/2019 I would have it.

So I left work early again. It got to be around 5 pm. So I called corporate. Only after corporate called them did they bring out my merchandise. Other than the TV it was NOT what I ordered !!!! then they did not have a mattress. I asked them where it was then they told me it was not in my contract!! Then they LIED an said they would be back in an hour an never came so when I called the office the sales rep, tried to make it appear as if I told her I did not want a mattress. It wasn't that she clearly was not listening. As a customer service agent myself I know that active listening IS required skill.

now she is trying to say that they are going to have to redo my contract an I will have to pay 25.00$ extra for them to deliver it. NUMBER ONE I DO NOT HAVE ANY MORE FREE TIME TO SIT AT HOME AN WAIT WHEN THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN TAKEN CARE OF AT the first point of contact!!!! This is the worst company I have ever dealt with!!!!!

Original review: April 27, 2019

Constant calls to friends (references required by Rent A Center) and us about late payments, even though we never had a late payment. The furniture was more than double its original price (couches from Ashley Furniture) and of very poor quality. Also a washer we bought as well, arrived scratched, dented (supposedly new) and dirty. I would never give this place my business again.

Original review: April 9, 2019

Even though I do got to admit their stuff is really great my kids love their beds. We love our love set and couch but when I first called I got told that my beds would cost a certain amount. I go in to pay it's a different price. I got told that they would fix that price. Call back today the price is still the same. Don't like being lied to and I would not recommend ever going here again. So I called corporate. Hope corporate can fix it or I'll go somewhere else.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I'm currently renting a stove from Rent-A-Center. The first day I received it, there was a terrible smell coming from the oven so we turned on the self clean option. Once the door locked, the door started melting!!! My house could've caught fire!! We called and told the store about it, an employee came out and took pictures and told us the manager would get back with us. We had to physically go to the store just to get an answer from them. Mind you this was 2 to 3 weeks later that we went to the store for answers. We were supposed to get a replacement stove but they never got half our replacement stove and now they just want to pick up their stove. Fine by me!!! Why should I pay for something that could've burned my house down??? NEVER GOING THROUGH THEM AGAIN!!!

Original review: April 2, 2019

I'm currently renting a bed from this place. I was told that the payment would be 86.62. I started on 3/5 and made the down payment shown on the contract. I went to sign in to make a payment on MY DUE DATE... Which these people called me 3 TIMES on to collect payment... on the day IT'S DUE... not past due... all of a sudden... I have 12.99 outstanding..(because of some bogus membership fee that I DECLINED) plus 8.99 AND now my 86.62 plus ANOTHER charge of 8.99. I called and asked what this 8.99 fee is... they said it's a fee they charge in case of damage..

They said and I quote "it's on your contract whether or not you were told". I told her that it's on the contract as "optional" and I DON'T AGREE TO OPTIONAL SERVICES. Now all of a sudden, I have to bring my renter's insurance in and the Corporate office is the only place that can take off this fee? I'm sorry, but you have committed FRAUD!!!! I will be filing with the Secretary of State's Business office as well. DO NOT RENT FROM HERE!!!

Original review: April 1, 2019

Rent-A-Center is absolutely horrible! Our experience here was a complete joke! On the due date (yes the due date, not after) they start calling for their money by late morning if you didn’t get pay. If you don’t pay on that exact due date they come to your door! I was three days late for literally $12 and they came with their big truck beeping to back up to my door banged on my door for five minutes and finally left with a sign on my door handle that they came. Talk about embarrassing. I made every payment on time so one would think that would show them that I will be paying and they don’t need to come harass me for $12 darn dollars! Do yourself a favor... Do not use Rent-A-Center! Also, the people in the store are so rude!

Original review: March 29, 2019

I would NEVER recommend anyone buy or rent from here! They are rude and when I called to inform them that I will be late they call 20 times a day and show up to bang on my door! My neighbors have told me while I was at work they were beating on my door for at least 10 minutes straight numerous times a day! When I arrived I saw that they left maybe 10-15 notes on my door. Some on the front doorstep entrance and the rest tucked in the cracks around my apartment door so that when I open the door they all fall. They’ve done that numerous times. They’re just all around a bad business and I’d NEVER recommend them or use them for myself in the future!

Original review: March 29, 2019

Do not rent from this Rent-A-Center or any Rent-A-Center... My 29 your old daughter rents from them and she's not even the primary on the contract. Her fiance is and they keep calling me and harassing me before even trying to call my daughter for their payment when my daughter isn't even late and her payment is due the next day. They contact me instead of her and instead of anyone else on the list. And I've had a stroke and a tumor removed and 2 weeks ago I had a cerebral angiogram done on my brain. And in 19 days I'm having surgery again to try and prevent another stroke and I even called the manager of the store and he just tried talking above me and wouldn't let me explain anything. And so I called corporate and corporate basically said they can do whatever they like. So I'm going to change my phone number and I may even take this to court seeing that my blood pressure is Sky High now. I am NOT even a client and they are harassing ME!!!

Original review: March 29, 2019

I rented a bed for my son for Christmas. Made three payments on time. Had problems. This last month they would not work with me except to come get the bed. I usually go to Aaron’s where I ever had a problem. Will never go to Rent-A-Center again.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I have been renting a washing machine for 2 years from Rent-A-Center. I've had numerous problems with it. They come out fix it, then a few months down the road broken again. I have 1 more 80.00 payment to make and it's paid off. I called Rent-A-Center. Told them I want a replacement. They said they can't replace it they will repair it. The manager Carlos called me to schedule a time to come out and repair it. I'm off as of today so I asked if they could come out today. He said no I understood. He told me Wednesday between 8am-12pm he could schedule my appointment. I told him that's not good for me. I work 8-5pm.

He then told me I have to have open availability if I wanted it repaired. This got me upset that he wasn't willing to work with me. I told him I can't just call off work because my washing machine needs to be repaired. He was very rude, disrespectful and not helpful at all with my problem and hung up on me in a sarcastic way, saying bye bye. Me being very upset I called back to ask to talk to someone higher in command not Carlos. I proceeded to tell David my problems and how I just got treated. He basically told me I was lying that he was sitting right next to Carlos and that he wasn't rude at all. This got my blood pressure up that he was calling me a liar instead of resolving the problem with Carlos. He didnt apologize and try to make it any better so now I'm extremely upset now.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I leased a refrigerator for 2 months while my new refrigerator was manufactured. RENT-A-CENTER Memphis delivered me a refrigerator. When they disconnect my old unit, they did not completely shut off the valve in the wall connecting the ice maker. The rental refrigerator did not have an ice maker. In a couple of days I started having wet carpet in my dining room & den. Water had leaked from this valve under the kitchen floor and carpeting in my dining room & den. I have a huge mess. RENT-A-CENTER's insurance only wants to pay 50% of the cost to return my floors and wall to previous condition. The estimated cost to repair/replace walls, baseboard & flooring is more than $15,000! The insurance company is trying weasel out of doing the right thing. SHAME ON YOU!!!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

From the store in Searcy Arkansas all the way to the corporate department in Texas, they are all liars. I rented some furniture from the Searcy, Arkansas rent a center mid December 2018. First of all, they delivered the wrong tv and damaged 3 of my walls bringing the furniture in. Then when I got ready to make my first payment, out of nowhere the weekly price had doubled and all I was told is that I didn't read my contract correctly. Then I was told that some of the furniture was left off.

Of course, I read my contract correctly and it was the exact price that was agreed upon. If a mistake was made, how come no one informed me when it was caught??? I called corporate and eventually got to talk to the district manager who did nothing but spit one lie after another about what she would do. She stated she would make sure they rewrote the contract and give me the furniture for the price originally agreed upon. But mid January she stopped returning my calls. The store came under new management about the end of Jan. 2019 and the new manager did nothing but lie as well. I was constantly told that they would honor the original agreement but in the end, about mid February, I was told to either pay what they wanted me to pay or they could come and get the furniture.

Of course, I let them come and pick up the furniture mid February. You can't scam me into paying twice as much than what was originally quoted!! The best part of the whole ordeal was that they didn't tear up my walls when they came to pick up the furniture. This was by far the worst rental experience I have ever had. I will never rent from them again and will discourage all of my friends and family from renting there. Incompetent or just plain scam artist... I'm not even sure which one they are but I'm just happy to be rid of them. NEVER AGAIN!!!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I had gotten a couch from Rent-A-Center about 5 months ago and recently my daughter spent 3 wks in the hospital so I could not go to work. And I called And told them to come pick up the couch because I will not be able to make my payment because I have been off work. However they never showed at the scheduled time claiming they went to the wrong house so the day my child was released 1 wk later they called me.

I told them I was at the hospital and that my child was being released that night and that I would call them when I got home with her and they could come pick it up. They showed up at my house before I got home. Told my 11 yr old son I sent them there to get the couch and thAt he had to let them in. They went in and took the couch with no adult present and bullied my son into letting them in. I got home 15 minutes later. They didn’t even attempt to call me when they were at my door. It’s like I was dodging them. I told them to pick it up when I got home. I will never do business with them ever again. I called and made a complaint but that worker is still working there like it was no big deal that he did that that way. Be careful when dealing with them because an adult does not have to be present for them to go in your house.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I’ve been with Rent A Center for 5 plus years and have bought many many items from them. The past year I was in an car accident and my payments have been a few days late however I call and let them know. Even if payment is late we still make. I ordered a king size bed for my son two weeks before Christmas 2018. The reps at the store told me there was a delay getting the bed due to Christmas. I understood that, No problem.

Three weeks into the new year and still no bed. Five weeks after new year the store manager I have been with for years tells me that the cooperation denied sending the bed due to my payment history. Seriously after everything we have bought from Rent A Center, I mean my whole house almost is furnished by them!!! Plus you waited weeks to tell me the reason I couldn’t get the bed! We gave my sons old bed away! Thinking the new bed was on the way!!! My buying is stopped. I will never buy anything from them again! They’ve lost a long time customer!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I have never done business with this company before, came in stressed and upset because my washer that was purchased with Best Buy was broken and I was given the runaround to get it fixed. (Yes, I purchase an extended 5yr warranty.) After 3 weeks I stopped into the Happy Valley Rent-A-Center. I was treated so great. JP was so understanding and helped me to fix my issue all in one visit. I had a plan and a scheduled delivery all in 20 mins! I have a 2yr old and was at my breaking point, JP explained the process and made it so simple! I have learned that this company had not only great employees but has great customer service! TORI and JP are amazing and deserve way more than just a pat on the back! Thank you from one stressed out overwhelmed momma!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I have bought a portable air conditioning unit, I called to ask how to get a new filter. They said they don't have any, and don't know where to get one, The manager Dave who's photo hangs on the wall "HORRIBLE". I also bought a bedroom set. Gave half to my sister due to lack of space. I have had 57 hip surgeries, a full humerus repair, and triple back fusion. I've always paid my bills, it's my motto. These guys called my sister, landlord, while I was in a coma. I also am a former Paralegal so I don't take **. How embarrassing, spoke to a corporate officer, he is just like his management.

Nevertheless the bedroom set was out together improperly along with the air conditioning unit, my landlord has repaired both items, he knows I'm handicapped and cannot do it myself. If I could tell ANYONE interested in using this company, keep a subfolder of all your payments, be sure the item is new, not used, I have a hole in my hip, I need a mattress to cushion my wound. This is my second mattress, I despise this company with every bit of me. I get a call this morning 2/2/19, I'll remind you I just paid them 200.00 on 1/30/2019. Josh calls me, I returned the call, asked, "What could you possibly want from me today, I just paid $ 200.00 a few days ago, I'm terminally ill." He states my payment is due. I'd say poor communication, lack of empathy for ANYONE.

I wouldn't start a lawsuit at this point although I can, I'm familiar with the laws and pleadings. People do your research, keep notes, records, print receipts, keep copies, anything that can save you from being harassed, I'll never do business with this company AGAIN. Corporate has to see all these negative comments, I'd say they are the next company to be closed due to some laws being broken.

Rent-A-Center Company Information