2. Homeowners
  3. Furniture Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.38/5

Looking for a new piece of furniture?

Shop for your home on Overstock

Visit Website

Looking for a new piece of furniture?

Shop for your home on Overstock

Visit Website

Rent-A-Center Reviews

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

Got a brand new double recliner, paid for six months up front, my next pay day was in December, got behind one week on payment, store employee called but I was out at the mall, my phone was low on batteries and the phone call got disconnected. The following day the employee called and we made an agreement to get all caught up on that Friday. After hanging up with employee, store manager called me and said the arrangement would not work due to I was rude and had hung up on another employee, I tried correcting her about her assumptions but she refused to listen, I asked to speak to a manager and she told me "I'm it, I'm the store manager for all stores in the Chesapeake area." I asked for her name and she stated "Charlie". I asked for her full name and she refused to give it to me.

She asked when I would be home to pick up furniture, I told her, "Not available until the weekend and I'm paying this Friday." "Charlie" stated, "No, Im not taking your payment, I'm scheduling a pick up." I reminded her that "this was my first time late and it was a WEEK late". On Friday I called and no one wanted to accept my payments, so I went online and paid for the whole month. The following day "Charlie" called and stated, "We can pick up the furniture today." I informed her, I had paid till the end of January, she went on to say, "I don't care, I'm calling for a pick up." At this time I was fed up with this woman and agreed to having the furniture picked up. That was January 4, I had paid till January 28. I got in contact with supervisor at headquarters, which told me "I couldn't get any refund and that I could use it as store credit on my next purchase." What makes this company think I would EVER deal with them again?! Rip off!!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

At the beginning of my agreement around March of 2019 I had absolutely no issues at all! Loved the management team and everyone who worked there. If there was time where I would be late on a payment I could just let them know and they would make a note on the account and there would be no issue. Around November my store switched their whole management team. No big deal, until for some reason they decided to mess with my account. I switched jobs and the pay periods were off from my bi weekly schedule. I went into the store to have them switch my payments to bi weekly from a certain date. The girl was typing stuff on her computer and said everything was good to go. Little did I know she had not done anything to the account and my pay dates were still off and now I was recurring all these late fees.

I called the store and they said they now had fixed it. Fine. I go on my online account to pay and I see that I haves occurred late fees again and it wasn’t even my due date yet. It is now holiday season and I am management in retail in the mall. I’m working 13+ hours a day and am not allowed to have my phone on the sales floor. By the time I get off every day it’s well past 11pm and Rent-A-Center is closed. I’m 6 days “late” on my payment because I still haven’t had the time to call about all the late fees that shouldn’t be on my account. On the 6th day a guy by the name of Danny shows up at my house with a truck to pick up my furniture because I’m late on a payment. Mind you I have never had previous issues making payments.

Danny was extremely rude when he arrived and demanded that I pay him $52 now or he was entering my house and taking the furniture. I explain to him that they keep messing my account up and there were late fees on the account that shouldn’t have been there. He calls Deon and tells him that he (Danny) was looking on my account via the app and it states the account was due on the December 4th which was incorrect and that there needs to be a ticket opened on that. Deon still demands $52 saying that it will take me to the 28th of December which is when I said I would be able to pay the account. Danny stated that I should have answered my phone when he was calling. I explained to him that I work retail and it was the holiday season and I was working 13+ hours a day and am not allowed to be on my phone. I was not going to apologize for working and not answering a phone call.

Danny is still on the phone with Deon and Danny says “so if she pays the $52 now that will take her to the 28th correct?” And Deon says “correct”. Fine whatever. I pay 52 and ask him to leave my property. This happened on a Saturday. On Monday I get a call from rent-a-center on my way into work I answer because I’m confused on why they are calling me when the bill isn’t due until the 28th. Deon tells me that I am late on the payment because the $52 only took me to that day (Saturday). I told him since he misinformed me by lying because, he was on speakerphone when Danny asked if it would take me to the 28th and he said correct, that he would be paid on the 28th. He said that was not how this was going to work and I told him that it was 100% going to work like that. I am very upset and hung up with him.

I had my fiancé call the store to figure out what is going on because I was lied to. He asks to speak to the store manager and the SM says, "Okay since he misinformed you I will make the payment be due on the 28th." Awesome. The next day I get a call from Danny and he leaves a message saying that my account is past due. My fiancé again calls and says this is ridiculous as to him just speaking to the sm the precious day. There is 0 communication in that store.

The 28th comes and I go on my app to pay and guess what? There is reoccurring late fees that I am not paying because I am not late. I have had it with rent-a-center and their absolutely rude lying employees. I called them and told them to come pick their furniture up and I wanted nothing more to do with them. I am switching to Aaron’s. I also have a co worker who goes through the same rent-a-center and they are very unprofessional by calling the store phone by their personal phones. They call her and text her about her being late with their PERSONAL cell phone. So hell no I am not recommending this terrible place to anyone!!!!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

So I paid for a bedroom set that said mattress included. It didn’t come with it and when I went in to see why they tried to charge me for it after the ad clearly said it was included. Then when it’s time to make my payments they tried to tax me separately for each item. So I gave a negative review of the store so tonight they called me upset about the review and want to know why I did that because it affects their money and their bonuses. So I said I’m coming in to pay my bill and the one lady Nicole wants to give me attitude so I said I would come back tomorrow and pay with someone else. Then she says have a nice day and I said I will and then some. If you are not concerned with me or my money. Then I will find someone else who is. Bad customer service.

In my line of work my guests are always right and even if there is a problem. My first thing to do is ask how can I make this right. Not give them attitude. If I can maybe I will pay online or so other way. Shame on the way I’m treated. If they don’t want my money someone else will. Last chance to rectify this problem before I move on.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

I purchased a living room full set in June 2019. It took about a week to get it and the store associates was rude and mean. I had to complain numerous times within the 6 months and they would stare at you when you come in the store. I have never been late but they would call me before the due date and on the due date for a payment. I am very happy my furniture is paid off and I don’t recommend them to nobody and I will never buy another product from this horrible company ever again due to bad experience smh.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

Been paying on the living room set coffee tables and stereo for 3 years. 3 years later I'm still making payments on it. There's no way possible but I am. I have all the receipts to show for 3 years back and all they can do is come up with lies. The manager Aaron is rude. She tells lies and shouldn't be manager of anybody's property because she's very unprofessional and ** with a big bull ring in her nose which can be bad for business. For the past six months she has been refusing to give us our receipts and you're only getting one star because I was forced to give it in order to make this review when in actuality you don't deserve any and I'll be glad when Rent-A-Center goes out of business. Big rip-off especially at the store in Walterboro South Carolina.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rent-A-Center?

Original review: Dec. 8, 2019

Rent A Center 540-374-1275 in Fredericksburg Virginia is by far the worse damn Company to deal with. Ever since I started with them with a washer and dryer set the washer worked for a few weeks then the lock starting messing up and I had to call them. Got that fix and weeks later the dryer started messing up and burned my family clothes. Again I had to call them again so my items can get fixed. Every time I called with an issue they never took full responsibility for their crappy equipment, they always blamed the customer for the equipment messing up.

After a couple of repair issues the service guy then told me if it happens again I’m responsible for paying for their repairs. Hello my lease wasn’t even up yet and they steady wanted to keep getting my money. Wanda has the worse attitude I have ever experienced and she talks to you on the phone like you’re stupid and you don’t know what you're talking about. Pat kept questioning me as to why my equipment kept messing up and what I was doing to them. Again you're not suppose to put the blame on your customers just so you can continue to make the company look good.

Here I am my lease is paid for and I still do not have my matching dryer. My lease has been paid for MONTHS AND MONTHS AGO and I’m still waiting. I called in. Wanda acts like I never had equipment there which is ** and she never returned my phone call so I guess I’m stuck now with a NON matching washer and dryer set at my home. I by far will NEVER recommend this particular location to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2019

I agree with many of the concerns posted here. Many are true. Yes they are doubling the price you pay off in 6 months for anything. Example the Nintendo Switch is $300 in any store. I needed two for this Xmas for my nephews whose dad is unemployed now and cannot afford two Nintendo Switches. Neither can I, can you? So instead of Santa letting the boys down and ruining their Xmas I went to Rent A Center and rented 2 Switches. Pay off on one is $600 and change, twice the amount from a Gamestop or Walmart's store who sell them for $265 to $299 each. But where else can you get what you need no credit check and yes you pay more for the item in the long run but it's either that or wait till you can afford that $900 living room set or even one Nintendo Switch. You probably won't get anything at all down the road because unless you're very well off and making pretty good money who can save $900 for a living room set hands down.

We pay high taxes in NYS here, fuel oil and gasoline prices are crazy, food prices, and don't get me started on Price Chopper they price gouge. And Rent a Center does offer you the option to return your rental anytime and pick up again on it when you can afford it paying only the remaining balance. I understand it is a rip off but it's an option to get what you need that you never save for and an unnecessary evil. But I know two kids that will be very happy this Xmas because they each have a Nintendo Switch from Santa thanks to Rent a Center. Maybe Santa will get me one. I feel the Automobile market is nuts. Personally I think you're nuts to pay $45.000 for an SUV or more for a PU truck. 2 yrs later you can never recoup that money either and your new car is now not worth the price you paid ever again. So don't knock rent to own businesses.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

Ok so I recently visited Cleveland St Ohio, and I've always rented and paid within my 90 days. But now they have a new process. In which I was denied due to a family members nonpayments and using me as a reference... Why is this on me... Probably why they're on the verge of closing.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

They have bed bugs, and they will not take responsibility for infesting my home. My husband and I are leasing a used bed from Rent-A-Center and we felt a lot of inching and biting. After we inspected the bed, we saw little bed bugs crawling around the cracks of the bed.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

This is the most ** and raggedy place to rent furniture from! I was in the store for less than 2 minutes before my 4 year old daughter tripped over a couch that barely had any cushion on the arm rest and busted open her eye! The store was so packed with furniture you could barely move through the aisle! The manager Matthew and worker showed no compassion and didn’t even ask if she was ok and they couldn’t find the first aid kit to even treat my daughter eye! I called the police and ambulance! The District manager Elaine was out of town in Michigan and promised me that my daughter medical bills would be taken care, when she returned she completely blew me off! She even hung up in my face when I asked for the district director name and phone number! I’ve called Rent-A-Center corporate plenty of times and they have yet to help out, this whole company is horrible and idek why they're still in business!!! Do not go there!!!

Rent-A-Center Company Information