1.37/5
  • 1 star
Based on 54 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good furniture store?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 27, 2017

1013 Rent-A-Center Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: March 30, 2017

I got a washing machine from a Rent A Center in Amarillo TX. The first one I got I had to send it back several times cause it stopped working. After the 3rd or 4th time sending it back I decided to switch it out thinking I just got a bad washer. So the new washer is not working after the 3rd or 4th time sending it in. I'm getting really frustrated that I'm paying all this money on washing machines that do not work correctly. They never tell me what's wrong with it. They just bring it back. It works for a few weeks and it's out again... On a good note the employees at this Rent A Center are awesome and very friendly.

Original review: March 28, 2017

After hurricane Mathew hit and I lost all my furnishings my funds were limited to refurnish my new apartment. I scanned the yard sale post for items and was pleased to see Rent A Center selling 32 inch T.V.'s for 100 cash. The manager Chad had 4 up for sell and when I arrived was pleased to get one.That was Dec 12th. I have receipt. Worked great for a month and a half and woke up one day to find huge white line going up middle of T.V. so I call store only to be told. "I don't know what to tell you and I can't do anything for you" so I had to swallow the loss of $100 after the loss of my belongings?? Really sucks this guys allowed to do side deals pocket money and screw you when it's worthless. So upset. That was our only T.V. I'm retired, disabled and on a tight budget. I've used Rent A Center many times back in the day, now they're just ripping people off with repoed stuff and pocketing cash. Shame on them.

Original review: March 17, 2017

I paid this item less than a month. The first when they brought me was it used when it had a big dent which did not bother me had it worked. It did not work so they brought me a new one and it worked fine the first week and I want to use the next day and then it started making a funny noise. Also in the meantime we found that the wheel was broke on the washer that they had brought me which was used and not just the real but the whole bracket that holds it on. Well that was another trip so now that we're having an issue now they tell me that they are not going to service this item and that they would refund my first month's rent if I return it. Get them to pick it up by the 3rd.

However the list that I sign says that I had 30 months of payments and that they are responsible for all service related matters and yet now they're not going to honor their contract. This happened at the Quincy Illinois store. The manager says we're not honoring the contract because we're losing money on the deal. It's not my fault their junk breaks down.

Original review: March 14, 2017

A Horrible Place to do business with. My soon to be ex-husband choose to rent a T.V. from this particular Rent-A-Center, and after about a year or so we are going thru a divorce and he lives about 4 hours away and took that t.v. with him. I did not sign any loan documents for this t.v. so I am not a co-buyer. I guess my husband has not made a payment on it in 2 months. Well they keep coming to my house and I understand because this is the last address that was on the loan documents.

So Yesterday I was at an appt. and 2 delivery drivers at my door beating, not knocking, but beating my door for an hour according to my neighbor. They were beating on my door so hard that she could hear it in her house across the street. I had a crack in my door about 3 ft. long when I moved in but after yesterday the door split along that crack. I call them and told them again that my husband does not live here and I am going to press charges for property damage and the manager told me that my ex still lives there and they seen him leaving that morning and that was not true because he had not been in this house for over a month and the car they described is my car. Then he proceeded to argue with me and threaten to bring the police over to get his merchandise, so he pretty much called me a liar and told me he was watching my house and he does not cared if 2 men were at my door beating on it like they were trying to come in to hurt somebody.

Then he lied and said that I was a co-buyer on the contract (not True) and I need to give him his stuff back. So I waited for them to return with the police as he promised and nobody showed up. I called the police department to see what I can do about my door, and I was told that I could not press charges for the door because it already was cracked and it would be pretty hard to prove that they damaged the door. These people are not even smart enough to know that you could receive business by word of mouth and I will be sure to tell anybody who will listen to not purchase anything from rent a center on E. Galbraith rd. Cincinnati, Ohio and because they made such a big production yesterday at my house I am sure that word would be spread by them too. If you live in this area do yourself a favor do not come in contact with this store or the manager his name is **.

Original review: March 12, 2017

The store #529 located at @ 4450 Forest Hill Blvd, West Palm Beach. DO NOT TRUST THIS STAFF! I made a payment by phone and they saved my card info. Out the blue weeks later I see a charge on my account for a payment that I didn't authorize. (it was due that day and they just helped themselves to my info and paid themselves) Meaning, someone wrote down my card info and security code and I am not enrolled in Auto or renewal payments!! Creeps! The protocol should've been to call for payment, or if payment becomes past due retrieve their merchandise!! This happened before and I spoke to an agent asking that they remove any written info about my bank account and that I alternate payments between my bank card and credit card, they had no right or permission to process any payment on their own free will today as they did.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rent-A-Center?

Original review: March 6, 2017

A RAC box truck hit me from behind two weeks ago. At the scene, the local manager promised to make things right. Two weeks later, after a dozen phone calls with their insurance carrier, their regional manager in Plano, and now their appraiser at Sedgwick CMS, no progress at all towards getting my truck fixed. Will need to go the legal route through an attorney to get my truck fixed. A business managed like this wouldn't receive a dime of my money. Lotsa luck dealing with these people.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2017

I have ONLY had an account with Rent-A-Center for a month. I was very nervous about doing with business with them because I had in the past and it was very unpleasant experience. I rented a small couch from them and set up for the auto pay to have all payment taken out of my account directly. The first payment came around and fell during winter break so I was away with my kids. I received several call from them stating the payment did not go through. The store charged my card 6 times, however according to my bank 2 of the payments were charged. I called the store asked to speak to a manager, they refused to put him on the phone. I called the corporate office and filed a complaint. I found out that the store never was suppose to charge my card that way. I was supposed to have set up the card and would have received an email when charges were made.

When I finally returned from my vacation I found notes on my door and my neighbors' door stating Rent-A-Center was there and wants their merchandise returned. They posted the flyers all over the house, it was extremely embarrassing. I now plan to escalating this as high as I can and I now want every penny I put in that store returned and for them to take their products back.

I am not comfortable with them having my information. I am requesting my card information be destroyed and will be closing my account and having the bank re-issue me a new one. Rent-A-Center in Jamaica NY on Merrick is very dishonest and I don't recommend anyone doing business with them. My complaint number is **. I have not received any call from the district manager Ramon. The person who posted the flyers on my neighbors' door is someone named Rob. The complaint was filed on Feb 23 and updated on Feb 24.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2017

Yes I rented 2x from them. They yell at me all the time. They wouldnt work with us, we asked for 1 a month payment. They made it 1 a week payment. We asked every other two week payment. They give us 1 a week payment. I told them over and over we had it set up to every two week payment. They wouldnt change it. I was 9 days late. They were harassing us. While working they get mad if we dont answer their calls. When we are at work we can not use our phones. They interrupt you while talking.

They dont care! I HOPE THEY GET NO CUSTOMERS. I HOPE THEY GET SHUT DOWN. They talk bad about other companies like Aaron's. So people can come and get harassed by them. I tried to make a payment. What online said 59$. They said in store 75$. I told them Im going by what only is telling me. Otherwise they dont know how to do math or calculate days. I would not recommend it. SAVE YOUR MONEY AND BUY YOUR OWN STUFF or you will get notes all over your doors and lawn. Or they will try to bust down door and get it.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2017

My experience with Rent-A-Center in Euclid Ohio is absolutely poor. The store manager Don and Dimitri they have absolutely unacceptable, unprofessional behavior. Their record keeping abilities is unacceptable. I was forced to double pay on my lease agreement for washer and dryer because they could not keep proper records. I had completed my payment agreement in July but was forced to pay an additional two months because they failed to keep proper records. Not only was my experience with Rent-A Center an absolute disaster, I learned that Eagle Rental has the same or better products at the same or lesser prices. I would advise everyone to please go to Eagle Rental before going to Rent-A-Center. You will be sorry if you ever do business with those THUGS.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2017

When I first started dealing with Louis at RAC he was such a nice guy. Now that he left there are a bunch of ghetto ratchet people in there that don't know what they're doing. There is a Martina in there who never takes notes to the point the employees keep harassing me. I called an employee to let him know that he needs to stop calling me because I scheduled a pick up day already and that should've been noted, then he hangs up on me. Called again, another employee answered and started screaming at me and being rude not bothering to understand what was going on or tried to help. They have no regards for people, they don't take notes, they love to harass!! At this point I don't want anything to do with Rent-A-Center.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2017

I am DISGUSTED with Rent-A-Center in Fayetteville NC on Bragg Blvd! An employee they had working for them, got my address off my invoice and showed up to my home at 11:30 at night!!! Not only that. They have tried to enter my residence when I am not home and my roommate told them to beat it! I have many other LEGAL issues against the store and have told them and corporate to no longer contact me since they filed a claim against me!!! LEGALLY they can NOT contact me once a case has been filed! It is in the court's hands at that point! I get between 15-20 calls a day from them, and fear for my safety from the people who work in that store! Not only that, they have sworn and threatened myself and my roommate. When the DM calls me she calls from a private number she admits is her cell phone so I refuse to answer her calls because they are not recorded! I am SO over Rent-A-Center and I will be filing charges against this store!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2017

I am a master at arms in the US Navy and have just returned from Bahrain. When I made it home my wife had a recording of a conversation she had with a manager at the Rent-A-Center in Saratoga Springs NY. After listening to this recording I almost couldn't believe what I was hearing. The manager of this store (Jason) was more disrespectful to her than I have ever experienced or heard of someone experiencing from the employee of any company. This attitude was over her wanting to pay for 2 weeks when we owed 3. Not only was he demeaning he even raised his voice at her more than once over the 30 dollars that she stated she would pay the following week.

She proceeded to contact customer support who told her not to worry about it and that a general manager would be getting in touch with her the following Monday to work it out. When she called Jason back he told her he does not negotiate and claimed that she was lying to him and they could call him and tell him themselves. And proceeded raise his voice once more and tell her that she should know what her bills are. He then told her that he didn't care if she had a ticket number from customer care he was going to take the television. I have no problem with this company taking their television, that was part of the agreement but there is no reason to show the kind of disrespect that this man showed my wife.

It is a great feeling knowing that while I am in a terrorist filled anti American place like Bahrain serving our country so that people like Jason can stay here in the comfort of their own homes without having to worry, people like Jason back home are treating our spouses and families like trash. The men and women who are trying to hold themselves and their families together without the help of their spouse while at the same time being terrified that their husband or wife may never make it home.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2017

I bought my children bunk beds. We are now moving and can't get the beds apart. Have been waiting 3 days for Rent-A-Center to help us. They keep saying they are coming and say they are too busy when we call. It's pathetic it's on us if we mess them up and even more pathetic we have begged for help and can't get any but if we was late on a payment they would sure be here to take them apart!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2017

I have few things rented from Rent-A-Center. I had been late paying sometimes but when I call to mentioned when I'm paying Martina store manager from Dudley Square Boston mass takes things so personally she never write or note things. I end up getting a call or having someone knocking at my door telling my business so that my neighbors would hear it. Martina had the worst manager skills. She's always arguing with customers. Rent-A-Center have the worst customer service ever. They're rude especially Martina. She had offended me few times when I only call to request later payment. I'm not stealing their stuff just paying it late. It seems that these employees are trained to intimidate and harass customers. Technique is the worst. Someone out to teach them true customer service way. They are the worst.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2017

My washer and dryer are due to be delivered tomorrow, so I have no input on delivery or product condition. The lady I have been speaking with is Leresa. I have never had such a great experience dealing with anyone businesswise as with her. She was the most courteous person I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with. Not sure who reads these reviews or what comes from it, but this particular employee has made my experience with Rent-A-Center top notch before I've even received my appliances.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2017

1 week again my husband’s uncle died so we had to leave town. My husband was 3 days late on a payment of a TV which he called and told them he would be by Thursday when we got back in to town. They sent a detective to his work over being 3 days late after they spoke to him saying it was fine. This is the most ** runner company with the most disrespectful workers. My neighbors called to tell me while we was out of town they came beating the door down and beating on their door waking their 2 month baby knowing we was gone.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2017

2129 Farm to Market 1960 Rd W, Houston, TX 77090 -- do not rent from this center most definitely or any other center. They are rude, disrespectful, fraudulent, and not worth the headache. They talk to you very bad and they harass and constantly call you 24/7 7 days a week. They switch up management every 30 days. You don't have the choice to set your payments the way you want. They keep you on weekly payments then get mad when it's not on time. They come to your house for being 1 day late. And they knocked loud and long and just are very rude. They hang up in your face when you're trying to discuss your issue. Just don't rent from here or any location. Go to Aaron's.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2017

At first I must admit everyone was nice at the beginning of the process but you can expect that when you providing business to any company and that's the way that you should be throughout the whole entire process but not Rent A Center. Customer service began to gradually get HORRIBLE from the store manager calling me asking me "Are you ready to get caught up on your bills" to an sales associate telling me she can't discuss with me why bill is gradually getting higher. I can say that I am supervisor of a call center and NO way would I handle my customers the way that Rent A Center handled me and probably handle their customers! I will NEVER advise anyone to go through Rent A Center to get furniture or anything else!!! I had to also get corporate office involved and they got me in contact with the district manager for this store but he believed his workers over the customer and the last I checked the customer is ALWAYS right.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2017

Rent-A-Center had my wife's phone number because I work in a location I cannot have my phone on me. Every time I couldn't get to make a payment before they closed (on the 1st of the Month, every month because I was paying monthly), They would call and leave very pushy messages on my wife's voice mail. I was done with these attempts at intimidation. Even the employee there when I rented the dang couch said he was happy I was back because I actually paid them. I was a bit late here and there but not nearly enough for them to be leaving unkind messages.

So I decided I am done with them! I went out, bought a couch, and with a U-haul I rented I drove THEIR couch back to THEM. One employee working there was great, the other one a rather large male with an attitude came back, I thought to help, but no he was on his lunch break. I explained that I'm a wounded veteran so I wasn't going to lift the couch, and I heard him making some comments in the background. I asked, "so are you the guy who tries to be hard ass on voice mails?" He said "well pay your ** on time!" I explained that I always paid. Maybe it was late but this last one the employee I talked to was supposed to take my payment to the first of the month. He told me I was good to the first, so really I was two days early. He called me a liar and said out of 400 customers I'm the only one they have ever told that to so I'm full of **.

So I called him some choice names back. He ended with "** you very much. Have a nice day." My wife just then pulled around and asked how it was going. I said "not very well. This jackass just told me '** you very much have a nice day!'" and then I turn around and he's in my face. I said a few more choice words about how I was thrilled to not have to deal with people like him anymore and he told me not to "bow up on him". I didn't back away so he shouted "don't put your hands on me" and shoved me, My elbow hitting the back of my U-haul truck. Unfortunately I also have PTSD. I snapped and got very angry. Luckily my wife was there, got in front of me, and kept me from doing anything I would regret. I thank God she was there but as soon as she told the guy to please let it go I have PTSD he got more aggressive calling me names, her names and threatening me.

I got in the truck, pulled around the front of the store, walked in, and calmly asked the employee at the counter who is the manager for that shift, for the store manager's name, that employee's name, and the store number. He told me I was the aggressor and walked into the back of the store, not to be seen again. Another employee was up front and he gave me the names and store number. My wife was able to talk to corporate to let them know how unhappy I am with with just happened.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2016

Employees are very rude and they make you afraid of them. They make it seem like if you are some kind of a fraud person. They do not help you unless you speak to management. You ask them to make a partial payment. They say no and ask you for a pickup time. They give you no slack, they call two or three times a day, they make you afraid to call them. I made a mistake by renting this TV and couch. I could have just went to walmart, put it on layaway and got the same TV and not get this everyday headache with Rent-A-Center.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2016

Paid in full for a bed to have deliver to my place. It arrived broken and requested a new delivery for the product I selected. The bed was paid on a Friday for delivery on a Monday. It is Friday and they have not delivered it. I had called the store, who by now block my phone. The store and chain are a fraud. I paid in full and I am to get my merchandise. They truly DO NOT CARE OR ABIDE BY ANY CONSUMER LAWS. If I could I would give minus 4 stars.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2016

I rented a medium size TV for my apartment. The delivery scheduling process and delivery person showed up when they said. Overall was pretty easy. They had a solid selection of TVs, I was satisfied. I got a solid TV, but it's not cheap. But if you want a TV for a few months it's a good deal. I could see using Rent-A-Center again.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2016

Last week my husbands payment fell due, due to pay falls my husband is a week late. I asked to make a partial payment and they refused! They've called myself and husband over 46 times in a week. They showed up tonight, while I wasn't home and demanded I make a payment. I made an arrangement to pay in the morning, over a week ago. The lady proceeds to tell me that no, that's not going to work. I explained I was sorry I've made and arrangement and she had no choice. She proceeds to yell at me and I just hung up. She proceeds to call my husbands phone and when I answered she hung up on me, so I returned the call and she hangs up on me again!

A few moments later the store manager calls and starts screaming and using profanity that I don't dictate when I am and am not going to make a payment. I tell him not to speak to me that way, and he tells me that ** isn't going to fly and to have my husband contact the police dept and speak with officer Dillard. I came home and they have covered the Christmas tree and my windows and door in "sorry we missed you" fliers! There was 13 of them, not a single word written on any of them!

A few weeks ago, they showed up and I was backing out of my driveway they blocked me in, and wouldn't let me leave. I am not on my husbands account in any way! They have no right to detain me or hold me against my will, they also don't have a right to threaten him, nor I, with legal action. They've also shoved my door open on several occasions, when I walk off to obtain money for them, I have small children who can escape and quite frankly, it's my right to close my front door whenever I'd please. I've gone to corporate level and yet nothing has been done! I'm sick and tired of the "loan sharks" because that's how they act, threatening me, harassing me and now vandalizing my property! I'm at a complete loss as to what to do, but I'm over it! I sincerely feel threatened by them. Their customer service is a joke! Something needs to be done about it. They've received a one star, because giving them no stars wasn't an option!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2016

I paid off a TV in 2015 then in 2016 I was getting another TV. Now mind the first TV was new came right out the box so they agreed to come out and get the TV and send it to Rent-A-Center shop where I would pay their price to fix it and I agreed so they brought me another TV until my TV was getting fix. It went from a loaner TV to me paying for another TV and every time I ask where is my TV ** which was the store manager at 1919 Glynn ave Brunswick Ga always said it was coming on the next schedule truckload. It went on for months no TV and the next thing I know I get a phone call Mrs. ** we want to know when I'm coming in to make a payment OR schedule a pick up to return the TV but I never received my first TV back so I think my TV was fix and someone at the store stole it. I will never rent anything ever from Rent-A-Center again.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2016

My experience with this place was okay at first until I fell behind on my payment cause I have other bills to pay as well as this one. But the store manager and employees came to my house. Knocking on the door, then try to open the door. My autistic stepson told me this. Which frightened him thinking it was a burglar. Recently I have been laid off from work temporarily until work picks up. And I'm a week behind and the store manager was rude on the phone with me. I tried to tell him unemployment will not pay me this week, that I will pay them next week but he was still harassing me and being rude. I'm to the point of returning their two of their items back to them. I don't want to deal with the Rent-A-Center in Whitehall, Pennsylvania anymore. I really don't want no part of this organization anymore. Too much of them stressing me out and harassing me.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

I was late on a payment after losing my job. I called to let them know it was going to be a couple of days till I had the money together to make the payment. I then had to go out of town for a family funeral, while at the funeral service RAC called and demanded that I pay or return the items. I calmly stated that I was out of town and at a family funeral service and that I would call them back. The employee (Chris) rudely demanded that I had to come home so they can get their items. Being upset I hung up.

When I got home my family and friends informed me that they had not only called them but went to their homes and harassed them multiple times. So I called them and asked why they had went to my friends and family's homes, he stated that if I wasn't home to let them in then my friends and family could have let them in. So I'm anger I told them to come get their furniture. When they came out to my home the delivery guys were so rude. They come in and started slinging the furniture around, ripped the leather couch and put a hole in my wall. Then while trying to get the washer and dryer out of the home I could hear them whispering and saying how lazy I was because I wouldn't help them.

I am a 20 year old female with severe back pain, and ordered to not lift over 10lb by my doctor. I decided to start video taping them as they were removing the dryer and they scratched and put holes in my walls, and ripped off my bathroom door. I called the store immediately, and was told that they would not fix it, and that it was my problem not theirs. When I stated that I had a video of them doing it he quickly reassured me that since I had proof I could contact the claims office. I will never recommend anyone to go there, and I myself will never step foot in another RAC.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2016

Was told to be alert about Rent-A-Center's practices. I rented to bring my credit score up a little due to having medical issues on my report before I started to receive my 100 VA. I ask the manager several times through the year when my 12 month payoff was. I was told several times it would be in Dec. 16 and stated "we have it as a partial payment in Jan but, we will fix that on your last payment" so, when I called, of course I was told to talk to this person I had never spoke to before. He said he wasn't going to fix it and if I wanted they would pick my stuff up. I had made every payment on time or before. So be careful out there. ALSO HE KEPT SAYING WE GO BY WEEKS NOT MONTHS AFTER I WAS TOLD UPFRONT IT WAS ON A YEAR. WOW.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2016

I am writing this because the employees are very rude. They call you at work when asked not to. I have asked them several times to come and pick up the stuff I am renting and the manager told me he didn't want it back. He had no room in his stock room. Which isn't my fault. So because he refuses to take the stuff back that I can't afford he keeps harassing me. If he told me to keep it he should be the one paying for it not me.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2016

I have rented from Rent-A-Center for years and even paid off merchandise. I have never dealt with unprofessional and disrespectful employees like the ones in Elkton, MD. I waited 2 days for them to pick up merchandise. Never came or showed up. A week later an emotes named Carl shows up at my home peeking in my windows and screaming, "Open your effing door so I can get my merchandise now". I was like, "Excuse me, knocking on door would of been polite". He continues to stand out front screaming, "You cut go thru life thinking everything is free". His behavior had my 7 yo crying and upset. I will never rent nor recommend them. I even contacted Ida their store manager to no avail.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2016

On November 19, 2016, I submitted an application online and was approved for 2000$. I went into my local store located in BARSTOW, CALIFORNIA, to pick my item and show documents to verify my income. The store manager name Carlos, approached me and said "Unfortunately, I wasn't approve!" I asked him why because I was approved and showed him the email. After reading my approval letter he then said... "Oh well, but you were denied because I put the wrong name for my job (IHSS)." I asked Carlos if I could fix it by submitting a new app with the correct wording. He then gave me a Spanish version. I asked for a app in ENGLISH, however this app was located in his office behind the counter. Frustrated, I made contact with the corporate office, in which was no help whatsoever. I have been waiting 10 days for someone from the district and regional office to contact me. There's no way I'm not being discriminated against and I plan to sue!!!

Rent-A-Center Company Information