Rent-A-Center

Compare Furniture Stores

Research top Furniture Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

2129 Farm to Market 1960 Rd W, Houston, TX 77090 -- do not rent from this center most definitely or any other center. They are rude, disrespectful, fraudulent, and not worth the headache. They talk to you very bad and they harass and constantly call you 24/7 7 days a week. They switch up management every 30 days. You don't have the choice to set your payments the way you want. They keep you on weekly payments then get mad when it's not on time. They come to your house for being 1 day late. And they knocked loud and long and just are very rude. They hang up in your face when you're trying to discuss your issue. Just don't rent from here or any location. Go to Aaron's.

At first I must admit everyone was nice at the beginning of the process but you can expect that when you providing business to any company and that's the way that you should be throughout the whole entire process but not Rent A Center. Customer service began to gradually get HORRIBLE from the store manager calling me asking me "Are you ready to get caught up on your bills" to an sales associate telling me she can't discuss with me why bill is gradually getting higher. I can say that I am supervisor of a call center and NO way would I handle my customers the way that Rent A Center handled me and probably handle their customers! I will NEVER advise anyone to go through Rent A Center to get furniture or anything else!!! I had to also get corporate office involved and they got me in contact with the district manager for this store but he believed his workers over the customer and the last I checked the customer is ALWAYS right.

Rent-A-Center had my wife's phone number because I work in a location I cannot have my phone on me. Every time I couldn't get to make a payment before they closed (on the 1st of the Month, every month because I was paying monthly), They would call and leave very pushy messages on my wife's voice mail. I was done with these attempts at intimidation. Even the employee there when I rented the dang couch said he was happy I was back because I actually paid them. I was a bit late here and there but not nearly enough for them to be leaving unkind messages.

So I decided I am done with them! I went out, bought a couch, and with a U-haul I rented I drove THEIR couch back to THEM. One employee working there was great, the other one a rather large male with an attitude came back, I thought to help, but no he was on his lunch break. I explained that I'm a wounded veteran so I wasn't going to lift the couch, and I heard him making some comments in the background. I asked, "so are you the guy who tries to be hard ass on voice mails?" He said "well pay your ** on time!" I explained that I always paid. Maybe it was late but this last one the employee I talked to was supposed to take my payment to the first of the month. He told me I was good to the first, so really I was two days early. He called me a liar and said out of 400 customers I'm the only one they have ever told that to so I'm full of **.

So I called him some choice names back. He ended with "** you very much. Have a nice day." My wife just then pulled around and asked how it was going. I said "not very well. This jackass just told me '** you very much have a nice day!'" and then I turn around and he's in my face. I said a few more choice words about how I was thrilled to not have to deal with people like him anymore and he told me not to "bow up on him". I didn't back away so he shouted "don't put your hands on me" and shoved me, My elbow hitting the back of my U-haul truck. Unfortunately I also have PTSD. I snapped and got very angry. Luckily my wife was there, got in front of me, and kept me from doing anything I would regret. I thank God she was there but as soon as she told the guy to please let it go I have PTSD he got more aggressive calling me names, her names and threatening me.

I got in the truck, pulled around the front of the store, walked in, and calmly asked the employee at the counter who is the manager for that shift, for the store manager's name, that employee's name, and the store number. He told me I was the aggressor and walked into the back of the store, not to be seen again. Another employee was up front and he gave me the names and store number. My wife was able to talk to corporate to let them know how unhappy I am with with just happened.

Employees are very rude and they make you afraid of them. They make it seem like if you are some kind of a fraud person. They do not help you unless you speak to management. You ask them to make a partial payment. They say no and ask you for a pickup time. They give you no slack, they call two or three times a day, they make you afraid to call them. I made a mistake by renting this TV and couch. I could have just went to walmart, put it on layaway and got the same TV and not get this everyday headache with Rent-A-Center.

Paid in full for a bed to have deliver to my place. It arrived broken and requested a new delivery for the product I selected. The bed was paid on a Friday for delivery on a Monday. It is Friday and they have not delivered it. I had called the store, who by now block my phone. The store and chain are a fraud. I paid in full and I am to get my merchandise. They truly DO NOT CARE OR ABIDE BY ANY CONSUMER LAWS. If I could I would give minus 4 stars.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rent-A-Center?

I rented a medium size TV for my apartment. The delivery scheduling process and delivery person showed up when they said. Overall was pretty easy. They had a solid selection of TVs, I was satisfied. I got a solid TV, but it's not cheap. But if you want a TV for a few months it's a good deal. I could see using Rent-A-Center again.

Last week my husbands payment fell due, due to pay falls my husband is a week late. I asked to make a partial payment and they refused! They've called myself and husband over 46 times in a week. They showed up tonight, while I wasn't home and demanded I make a payment. I made an arrangement to pay in the morning, over a week ago. The lady proceeds to tell me that no, that's not going to work. I explained I was sorry I've made and arrangement and she had no choice. She proceeds to yell at me and I just hung up. She proceeds to call my husbands phone and when I answered she hung up on me, so I returned the call and she hangs up on me again!

A few moments later the store manager calls and starts screaming and using profanity that I don't dictate when I am and am not going to make a payment. I tell him not to speak to me that way, and he tells me that ** isn't going to fly and to have my husband contact the police dept and speak with officer Dillard. I came home and they have covered the Christmas tree and my windows and door in "sorry we missed you" fliers! There was 13 of them, not a single word written on any of them!

A few weeks ago, they showed up and I was backing out of my driveway they blocked me in, and wouldn't let me leave. I am not on my husbands account in any way! They have no right to detain me or hold me against my will, they also don't have a right to threaten him, nor I, with legal action. They've also shoved my door open on several occasions, when I walk off to obtain money for them, I have small children who can escape and quite frankly, it's my right to close my front door whenever I'd please. I've gone to corporate level and yet nothing has been done! I'm sick and tired of the "loan sharks" because that's how they act, threatening me, harassing me and now vandalizing my property! I'm at a complete loss as to what to do, but I'm over it! I sincerely feel threatened by them. Their customer service is a joke! Something needs to be done about it. They've received a one star, because giving them no stars wasn't an option!

I paid off a TV in 2015 then in 2016 I was getting another TV. Now mind the first TV was new came right out the box so they agreed to come out and get the TV and send it to Rent-A-Center shop where I would pay their price to fix it and I agreed so they brought me another TV until my TV was getting fix. It went from a loaner TV to me paying for another TV and every time I ask where is my TV ** which was the store manager at 1919 Glynn ave Brunswick Ga always said it was coming on the next schedule truckload. It went on for months no TV and the next thing I know I get a phone call Mrs. ** we want to know when I'm coming in to make a payment OR schedule a pick up to return the TV but I never received my first TV back so I think my TV was fix and someone at the store stole it. I will never rent anything ever from Rent-A-Center again.

My experience with this place was okay at first until I fell behind on my payment cause I have other bills to pay as well as this one. But the store manager and employees came to my house. Knocking on the door, then try to open the door. My autistic stepson told me this. Which frightened him thinking it was a burglar. Recently I have been laid off from work temporarily until work picks up. And I'm a week behind and the store manager was rude on the phone with me. I tried to tell him unemployment will not pay me this week, that I will pay them next week but he was still harassing me and being rude. I'm to the point of returning their two of their items back to them. I don't want to deal with the Rent-A-Center in Whitehall, Pennsylvania anymore. I really don't want no part of this organization anymore. Too much of them stressing me out and harassing me.

I was late on a payment after losing my job. I called to let them know it was going to be a couple of days till I had the money together to make the payment. I then had to go out of town for a family funeral, while at the funeral service RAC called and demanded that I pay or return the items. I calmly stated that I was out of town and at a family funeral service and that I would call them back. The employee (Chris) rudely demanded that I had to come home so they can get their items. Being upset I hung up.

When I got home my family and friends informed me that they had not only called them but went to their homes and harassed them multiple times. So I called them and asked why they had went to my friends and family's homes, he stated that if I wasn't home to let them in then my friends and family could have let them in. So I'm anger I told them to come get their furniture. When they came out to my home the delivery guys were so rude. They come in and started slinging the furniture around, ripped the leather couch and put a hole in my wall. Then while trying to get the washer and dryer out of the home I could hear them whispering and saying how lazy I was because I wouldn't help them.

I am a 20 year old female with severe back pain, and ordered to not lift over 10lb by my doctor. I decided to start video taping them as they were removing the dryer and they scratched and put holes in my walls, and ripped off my bathroom door. I called the store immediately, and was told that they would not fix it, and that it was my problem not theirs. When I stated that I had a video of them doing it he quickly reassured me that since I had proof I could contact the claims office. I will never recommend anyone to go there, and I myself will never step foot in another RAC.

Was told to be alert about Rent-A-Center's practices. I rented to bring my credit score up a little due to having medical issues on my report before I started to receive my 100 VA. I ask the manager several times through the year when my 12 month payoff was. I was told several times it would be in Dec. 16 and stated "we have it as a partial payment in Jan but, we will fix that on your last payment" so, when I called, of course I was told to talk to this person I had never spoke to before. He said he wasn't going to fix it and if I wanted they would pick my stuff up. I had made every payment on time or before. So be careful out there. ALSO HE KEPT SAYING WE GO BY WEEKS NOT MONTHS AFTER I WAS TOLD UPFRONT IT WAS ON A YEAR. WOW.

I am writing this because the employees are very rude. They call you at work when asked not to. I have asked them several times to come and pick up the stuff I am renting and the manager told me he didn't want it back. He had no room in his stock room. Which isn't my fault. So because he refuses to take the stuff back that I can't afford he keeps harassing me. If he told me to keep it he should be the one paying for it not me.

I have rented from Rent-A-Center for years and even paid off merchandise. I have never dealt with unprofessional and disrespectful employees like the ones in Elkton, MD. I waited 2 days for them to pick up merchandise. Never came or showed up. A week later an emotes named Carl shows up at my home peeking in my windows and screaming, "Open your effing door so I can get my merchandise now". I was like, "Excuse me, knocking on door would of been polite". He continues to stand out front screaming, "You cut go thru life thinking everything is free". His behavior had my 7 yo crying and upset. I will never rent nor recommend them. I even contacted Ida their store manager to no avail.

On November 19, 2016, I submitted an application online and was approved for 2000$. I went into my local store located in BARSTOW, CALIFORNIA, to pick my item and show documents to verify my income. The store manager name Carlos, approached me and said "Unfortunately, I wasn't approve!" I asked him why because I was approved and showed him the email. After reading my approval letter he then said... "Oh well, but you were denied because I put the wrong name for my job (IHSS)." I asked Carlos if I could fix it by submitting a new app with the correct wording. He then gave me a Spanish version. I asked for a app in ENGLISH, however this app was located in his office behind the counter. Frustrated, I made contact with the corporate office, in which was no help whatsoever. I have been waiting 10 days for someone from the district and regional office to contact me. There's no way I'm not being discriminated against and I plan to sue!!!

Previously went to go rent a TV from Rent-A-Center. Sales guy was so quick to try to get the sale and gave misleading information, promising delivery date to be the following day by 6pm. Called 5 different times and waited 4hrs. 30mins to come to find out that the TV never left the building, it was still there. Delivery wasn't going to happen. Missed half a day of work for this disappointment!!! Will not recommended anyone their biggest waste of time this was the store in Cutler Bay. They should close this store down too. Making me pay for insurance when I refused!!!

Having never had anything to do with this company, I suddenly started receiving emails from them. I tried to unsubscribe, but when I got to the point where I hit "unsubscribe", nothing would happen. Then I started getting emails addressed to "Hailey" reminding me that my next payment was due. I have sent them a number of emails telling them that they have the wrong email address, but have received no reply, and still the emails come!

Ok I know that everything in life is not free and we have to pay for everything but the furniture that Rent A Center rented to me is not worth renting. I am sorry to say this but they should be able to take payments that you are able to pay and stop harassing people. I am sorry but I really truly regret forever renting out furniture from Rent A Center. Plus you pay more for renting the furniture. I pray that I can get enough money together to buy furniture instead of renting and receiving HARASSING CALLS.

My family and I went into rent a center found couches and were delivered the next day. The day after the delivery I found out the sofa had a broken bar and every time you sat down the sofa would squeak, so I called and explained told them I no longer wanted them. They couldn't get a truck out till Monday and the day I called was a Tuesday. I agreed said that was fine so come Monday evening I called and asked why they haven't arrived. I was told we have no pick up on the schedule. I then called corporate which was no help. Called Tuesday @ 10:24 - was told they wouldn't make it till Friday. Worst company ever - need to close this store or send over a new manager.

This is awful place run by the thiefs. Their attitudes are very rude and defensive. Be careful when purchasing the stuff from here. They ripped me with $42 more of what was in 90 day contract. They delivered the sofa in awful manner and during the delivery they even torn the sofa and I didn't said anything to them. The final price was 450.06 written on contract and the front desk lady told me this amount is after your initial payment is made and I ended up paying 491.12. What kind of business is this when you lie with customer about the price and print final price after deducting the initial price. Total lie. Be aware of them and don't buy anything. I am planning to sue them and take this action to consumer court about their awful and deceitful act.

Never had any problems with any bugs at all in my home. Neither my friends or my family has ever had any problems with bugs. MY HOUSE IS INFESTED WITH BED BUGS!! The exterminator from all different companies are saying the main source is the couch. Rent-A-Center is doing nothing. I've thrown out all of my furniture and bagged up everything in my house for the exterminators. My life is taking a beating right now and they've denied everything.

My BEAUTIFUL home is RUINED and this is costing us thousands of dollars and heartache. We can't stay at home with our children all because we needed a couch. When I day they're not doing anything I literally mean nothing at all and they're the cause of this whole mess. It's NOT worth it. Save your money because in the long run you could end up paying a lot more. You can't put a price on your sanity or your heartbreak when your 7 year old daughter cancels her birthday party because your home is disgusting!! Run and don't look back!

I have paid off 6 accounts with these sharks... They call me at 9 am on the 3rd of every month telling me my payment is due!!! I explain to them that my payment is due on the 4th of every month. They tell me it's due on the 3rd. I laugh and tell them "fine" and make my payment... I have had some issues with a DJ set up I purchased from Rent-A-Center. I have had to bring it back 4 times. The 3rd time I bring it in to get it fixed... They forget to send it out? With the explanation of the issues with this set up!!! Then after I take it back home I call Gayle the manager of this store and tell her the whole problem... Gayle explains that they don't make this system anymore and can't fix it!

Rent-A-Center adds an extra 15.00 to our bill every month for protection on anything you rent! But when it comes to getting it fixed they don't want to fix or replace it!!! They say "you're a preferred customer"??? When we go in to pay our bill they never say "Hi good morning..." The first thing they ask is "What do you want to buy today..." They blow up your phone. I returned a computer... they sold to us. They told us that it was 325.00 out the door and got charged 640.00 on the contract. Bad Business!!! Will never go back to Rent-A-Center or recommend them...

My uncle bought some furniture from there (Rent-A-Center) a while ago. And in no time no animals/kids it started falling apart pretty quick. The side/underneath started bottoming out (ripping). Needless to say he was PISSED. So, no more of THAT! He was done with them. That should have been my lesson. Awhile ago (earlier this year) I needed a new phone and I'm poor. So, when you're poor Rent-A-Center's there to help. Or so I THOUGHT!

I got my phone which was EXPENSIVE for a store like that, not thinking I got the phone and was happy for a bit until I looked the phone up online and saw I was being bamboozled at Rent-A-Center the phone I had which was rent to own. I was to pay over a thousand for a phone MULTIPLE people used before me. That right there is my first bamboozle. That's wrong. It's been USED by a few people. The price right there should be dropped. However, I looked the phones up online. The phone, brand, phone provider, all that stuff. "I" saw the SAME phone being sold on legit sites and from companies for less that $300. Same everything as what mine was. I nearly dropped.

Needless to say THAT phone went back in a hurry and I got the SAME phone for less not on eBay or any foolish site. Research your stuff before taking the Rent-A-Center plunge. The lady who works there (Bennington) lied through her teeth to make a sale. No respect whatsoever. Not to mention when I'd go IN there she was always sitting down doing nothing. Talking to everyone and her boss like she was at a party without the booze. Not good.

I had rented from Rent-A-Center in Lebanon pa and put a biweekly payment on the item. Was promised that it was going to be delivered on Thursday so Thursday came and late afternoon I haven't heard anything on the time of delivery. I called and they had no clue what I was talking about and looked up my account. It turns up the manager forgot to schedule my delivery and for someone to deliver it later on that evening. When they showed up with the item the person delivering asked for help in carrying the item into the house and didn't know how to set it up. Plus the item we rented was a TV and they lost the remote and gave us one that wasn't to the TV and didn't have any batteries.

The following Saturday came and it was the day that my payment was due and they started calling me right when they opened for payment and didn't even give me a chance to get myself together. Being angry I told them to come for the TV. I don't want to deal with a company like that so I went elsewhere. Definitely not happy with that company and will never go back. I'd rather do without the item.

They will call you 10 times a day when your bill is due until you pay it. Even if it is not late They make you feel like it is. They are relentless. You can't send them a check (they will not allow you to do this) so you add them to your online banking bill payer. I have set up an online account with RAC and I can't get in regardless how many times I reset my password. I can't understand how they are allowed to do this.

We love the Rent-A-Center store 5166 we go to - good people who worked with us on any problem. The manager there is great. If we had any problems she took care of them asap. Not all stores are the same. One of the other ones we dealt with the people were idiots.

I had an issue with a Rent A Center employee coming to my home and tampering with/moving my surveillance camera by the door to hide his person. My teenage daughters were home alone and scared by this employee's behavior which included ringing the doorbell for 6 minutes straight and sitting in his vehicle outside my home for 20 minutes. We recorded the whole incident from the surveillance system hard drive. I spoke to the manager of the location, Ruben, and he admitted fault, and stated he asked the employee to sit outside "to wait for you". I recorded this conversation. Ruben refused to give me the employees name to make a police report. I spoke to Gary **, the District Manager on September the 20th.

I recorded the call. In the conversation Gary refused to see the video, claiming he "believed" me but again refused to give me the employee's name and refused to offer a resolution. He again admitted Rent A Center was in the wrong. I contacted the Better Business Bureau to get a resolution to this issue. The response Rent A Center gave, through their paralegal, stated I admitted in a call that the employee never touched the camera (although I have video and audio recording proving otherwise), that my account was severely past due (though I have audio recording stating otherwise), and that they never spoke to me that week, although my call logs clearly show otherwise. I have paid off 7 items with Rent A Center through the years, but I will no longer EVER shop with their company again.

I have been a long time customer since 2002 but starting this year 2016, hell has no fury on how this people treat their customers. No loyalty whatsoever. I have purchases two things from them mid December 2015 and early January 2016. I felt short starting last couple months. I had paid more that I should have paid by now. These people are going over my parents property and my property vandalizing and cursing at people. Threatening with the police is about to arrest right now if you don't pay or return the merchandise. So I have to contact a lawyer to further assist me with these issues. They don't believe that people have rights. Being defaulted does not make you a criminal. It says that we are humans and have other problems than RENT A CENTER to deal with...

They have degenerates running their businesses and forger management or Regional Managers that tell you, "No lawyer can do anything for you"... WOW... I swear to God, I have never in my life to see a business run out business as soon as this second that I am typing this. I promise, anytime someone said RENT A CENTER, I will advise them to take their business somewhere else and where they can keep their dignity and respect. They arrest my parents, constantly calling the police at their doors. OMG, their corporate office won't do anything about that... Shame that someone is depleting your cash reserved on used merchandise and can't control their level of disgraceful behaviors. From Corporate Office to low degenerate employees...

Me and my fiance went to Rent-A-Center to rent two phones. We had to start out with loaner phones. But when we actually got our phones his worked and mine don't work right. All they say they can do is send it to service and put back into a cheap loaner which isn't what I am paying for and it's their fault the phone isn't working right. They are rip offs. Stay away from them. They are a waste of time and money.

Please do not go to Rent-A-Center, horrible customer service. You can pay your account and still be called constantly. The stress isn't worth it. If I wasn't almost through paying I would give property back. Go to Conns or pay cash, everything is cheap now. Save yourself a headache. Their old tactics will one day close their doors. Like getting something from a loan shark. Save your money up and buy items. They will make you lose your sanity, insane tactics. So not worth it!!!

I have never had Roaches in my home till I started renting from Rent-A-Center in Danville Illinois Gilbert st. I have complained to them and they do nothing about it. They tell me they have it under control. Well they're wrong. They don't. They also tell me they spray their items and they don't. I have had a fridge from them and got a washer and dryer from them and now I have been battling roaches. They since have came to get the fridge and I started having them kind of cleared up but I then had to get a loaner on my dryer because mine wasn't drying anymore and they brought me a different one and I asked them again "did you spray it" and they said it was new and there shouldn't be a problem. Well it wasn't new and now I have them bad again. I'm so mad right now. I really want to throw their roach infested stuff out into the front yard and tell them to come, get it.

Rent-A-Center Company Profile