2. Homeowners
  3. Furniture Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.41/5

Rent-A-Center Reviews

Original review: April 2, 2020

Today I had 10 calls, my husband 6 from Rent A Center. Our payment was due March 28, I had made mention to the store that a payment would be made tonight April 1, 2020 online in full. The manager of Rent A Center Lisa, is very rude and mean. I am temp laid off due to the COVID-19 crisis and don't go back to work until April 21, my unemployment is behind due to everything happening in the world right now. I explained to her that I understand my payment is late but I never miss a payment, ever! She said, "Well mam, we need to schedule a pickup for your washer and dryer then!" "First off, I have made 21 payments, 1600, I am almost paid off, you are not taking the washer and dryer!"

I asked her how she would feel if she was laid off and I called her and wasn't understanding, she said, "Mam I pay my bills!" "WOW!! Well so do I!!! I told you I will make the payment of 96 dollars tonight." She giggled at me and I lost it. I admit, I flipped, I don't even know what came out of my mouth. I hung up on her! She has been blowing up my phone non stop leaving rude messages! I have contacted headquarters and am filing a complaint. I am so over them hounding me and having no compassion. If you're a day late, they show up at your house with their truck, bang on your doors, blow up your phone and call all your references. I guess that's what I get for renting with them.

Original review: March 4, 2020

I have rented from RAC for years. Paid off numerous acts. I rented a sofa in 03/17 that I'm still paying on that was used. Keep in mind sofa in Rooms To Go was $999. I've paid $3,000 with interest on used sofa. Purchased tv in 07/18 & still paying on it. Not even name brand. I would had given sofa back but put so much $ into it. Moving on to the employees. I have seen many come & go. I have NEVER saw such nonsense as I have witnessed these past few months. The last Mgr Ira was very nice, thorough & worked with Customers. He went above & beyond for them. He was a businessman & knew how to run a store. If asked to order anything or get it fixed, it was done. If you was running late, he would help with a day or so.

I see nothing but greed & power hungry people in that store now. Not the same friendly Sales, staff use to smile lol before. I have contacted as other Customers stated Corporate because I know the rto game. The 1st thing that's being throw up: They're Franchised! But they have bosses too! Why should I be making extra payments for them to make bonus. They need to treat all customers the same. That store has really went to shame with employees not speaking to customers. Just today. My grandson had trouble putting sim in his phone from repair in store. The now acting Mgr stood there until I addressed the issue of "Where's the Customer service that you all stated your last Mgr did not provide!" Deliver guys rude & do not speak. That's not professional Customer Service as well. Investigation needs to done into their overpricing & fixing of paperwork.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

I'm a maintenance supervisor at an apartment complex. Had my apartment check for bed bugs or roaches 'cause I don't want this **. Went in to bike to get me a new couch since I'm already renting the TV from them. Told them. I wanted a brand new one. Okay, I had it for about a month and I just and I told the lady I had very small quarters. The couch was insanely too big for my apartment. The guys had trouble getting it in. Well after having it for a month I decided I didn't want the couch no more. So I called Rent-A-Center and told him to come pick it up. While their guys come out and automatically flip it over, start turning it over, tearing it apart then proceeded to tell me I had bed bugs. I said, there's no No way. So they refused to take it. I had it treated for it. Just to be on the safe side the pest control guy came and checked the whole apartment, found no bed bugs, but on the couch.

To make a long story short then they stop refusing to take my money for my TV. So they said that instead of me paying 3,000 and something for tore up couch. I could have it for 700. Okay, I just want this ** done. So I go in they not only charged me a reinstatement fee for the TV which they refused to take payment, but also a reinstatement fee for the couch.

While I was in there and I took pictures. ** cockroach comes crawling across their counter. I told the lady I said, "You're infested with cockroaches." And I said, "And I bet you also got bed bugs." I said, "'Cause I don't." She says, "Oh a homeless man came in the other day. That's where it came from." And I said, "No ma'am." I said, "That's not where it came from." I took pictures 'cause I don't want anybody else going through the same situation I went through. I threw the couch in the trash. Please do not rent anything from this company. 'Cause it's not new stuff. While I'm standing in there. They're taking couches and stuff right off their store room floor.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

They harass people. You tell them that the money will be in the bank when it gets in there but they keep calling every day. After you tell them to quit calling. They don't think people work during the day!!!!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

Lies, lies, lies. I was told my bed was new and it was used and still charged me for a brand new bed. And omg they call you 100 times the day of payment. They charge full price for used things. And I was told you could put however much money on your account. They refused a payment 2 times. So lies, lies, lies. EVERYONE go to Ashley or Buddy's. Let R.C. Keep all merchandise.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rent-A-Center?

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

They sold me furniture and it was broke so I returned them and they gave me loaners. A floor model. Been asking for my new furniture and they failed to give it too. They also went into my bank account and took out payments that were not authorized.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

I had previously purchased a mattress and box spring set from Rent-A-Center in CA that lasted my husband & I 10+yrs - So when we were looking to replace our bed & $$$ was tight we once again turned to Rent-A-Center. We have since moved to TX & this new experience w/ Rent-A-Center is NOTHING like our previous one. While the sales staff were pleasant & accommodating each time went in to make our payments. HOWEVER, when we had a problem with the new mattress we purchased from the Wichita Falls TX store (merely 13 months after) *mind you I had paid it off early too. Wherein a spring broke on one side of the bed and caused a dip/gap type hole - I contacted the store first & was told there was nothing they could do to fix the"problem".

So I call Corporate & they contacted the District Manager who in turn called me & told me to contact Ashley Furniture. When I called AF they said since it was purchased thru RAC I had to deal w/ RAC. So I called Corporate AGAIN - who in turn put me in contact w/ the DM who finally called me back after 3 days & said "well our warranty with Ashley Furniture products is 12 months from the time we purchase it from them. So there really isn't anything we can do for you now. It's too late". Are you ** KIDDING ME!!! YOU Sure As Hell took your time getting Back to me with this information & now "CONVENIENTLY" Time is Up!!!! HOW THE HELL CAN YOU TELL ME A MATTRESS ONLY LASTS A YEAR!!!! TOTAL B.S.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

Got a brand new double recliner, paid for six months up front, my next pay day was in December, got behind one week on payment, store employee called but I was out at the mall, my phone was low on batteries and the phone call got disconnected. The following day the employee called and we made an agreement to get all caught up on that Friday. After hanging up with employee, store manager called me and said the arrangement would not work due to I was rude and had hung up on another employee, I tried correcting her about her assumptions but she refused to listen, I asked to speak to a manager and she told me "I'm it, I'm the store manager for all stores in the Chesapeake area." I asked for her name and she stated "Charlie". I asked for her full name and she refused to give it to me.

She asked when I would be home to pick up furniture, I told her, "Not available until the weekend and I'm paying this Friday." "Charlie" stated, "No, Im not taking your payment, I'm scheduling a pick up." I reminded her that "this was my first time late and it was a WEEK late". On Friday I called and no one wanted to accept my payments, so I went online and paid for the whole month. The following day "Charlie" called and stated, "We can pick up the furniture today." I informed her, I had paid till the end of January, she went on to say, "I don't care, I'm calling for a pick up." At this time I was fed up with this woman and agreed to having the furniture picked up. That was January 4, I had paid till January 28. I got in contact with supervisor at headquarters, which told me "I couldn't get any refund and that I could use it as store credit on my next purchase." What makes this company think I would EVER deal with them again?! Rip off!!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

At the beginning of my agreement around March of 2019 I had absolutely no issues at all! Loved the management team and everyone who worked there. If there was time where I would be late on a payment I could just let them know and they would make a note on the account and there would be no issue. Around November my store switched their whole management team. No big deal, until for some reason they decided to mess with my account. I switched jobs and the pay periods were off from my bi weekly schedule. I went into the store to have them switch my payments to bi weekly from a certain date. The girl was typing stuff on her computer and said everything was good to go. Little did I know she had not done anything to the account and my pay dates were still off and now I was recurring all these late fees.

I called the store and they said they now had fixed it. Fine. I go on my online account to pay and I see that I haves occurred late fees again and it wasn’t even my due date yet. It is now holiday season and I am management in retail in the mall. I’m working 13+ hours a day and am not allowed to have my phone on the sales floor. By the time I get off every day it’s well past 11pm and Rent-A-Center is closed. I’m 6 days “late” on my payment because I still haven’t had the time to call about all the late fees that shouldn’t be on my account. On the 6th day a guy by the name of Danny shows up at my house with a truck to pick up my furniture because I’m late on a payment. Mind you I have never had previous issues making payments.

Danny was extremely rude when he arrived and demanded that I pay him $52 now or he was entering my house and taking the furniture. I explain to him that they keep messing my account up and there were late fees on the account that shouldn’t have been there. He calls Deon and tells him that he (Danny) was looking on my account via the app and it states the account was due on the December 4th which was incorrect and that there needs to be a ticket opened on that. Deon still demands $52 saying that it will take me to the 28th of December which is when I said I would be able to pay the account. Danny stated that I should have answered my phone when he was calling. I explained to him that I work retail and it was the holiday season and I was working 13+ hours a day and am not allowed to be on my phone. I was not going to apologize for working and not answering a phone call.

Danny is still on the phone with Deon and Danny says “so if she pays the $52 now that will take her to the 28th correct?” And Deon says “correct”. Fine whatever. I pay 52 and ask him to leave my property. This happened on a Saturday. On Monday I get a call from rent-a-center on my way into work I answer because I’m confused on why they are calling me when the bill isn’t due until the 28th. Deon tells me that I am late on the payment because the $52 only took me to that day (Saturday). I told him since he misinformed me by lying because, he was on speakerphone when Danny asked if it would take me to the 28th and he said correct, that he would be paid on the 28th. He said that was not how this was going to work and I told him that it was 100% going to work like that. I am very upset and hung up with him.

I had my fiancé call the store to figure out what is going on because I was lied to. He asks to speak to the store manager and the SM says, "Okay since he misinformed you I will make the payment be due on the 28th." Awesome. The next day I get a call from Danny and he leaves a message saying that my account is past due. My fiancé again calls and says this is ridiculous as to him just speaking to the sm the precious day. There is 0 communication in that store.

The 28th comes and I go on my app to pay and guess what? There is reoccurring late fees that I am not paying because I am not late. I have had it with rent-a-center and their absolutely rude lying employees. I called them and told them to come pick their furniture up and I wanted nothing more to do with them. I am switching to Aaron’s. I also have a co worker who goes through the same rent-a-center and they are very unprofessional by calling the store phone by their personal phones. They call her and text her about her being late with their PERSONAL cell phone. So hell no I am not recommending this terrible place to anyone!!!!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

So I paid for a bedroom set that said mattress included. It didn’t come with it and when I went in to see why they tried to charge me for it after the ad clearly said it was included. Then when it’s time to make my payments they tried to tax me separately for each item. So I gave a negative review of the store so tonight they called me upset about the review and want to know why I did that because it affects their money and their bonuses. So I said I’m coming in to pay my bill and the one lady Nicole wants to give me attitude so I said I would come back tomorrow and pay with someone else. Then she says have a nice day and I said I will and then some. If you are not concerned with me or my money. Then I will find someone else who is. Bad customer service.

In my line of work my guests are always right and even if there is a problem. My first thing to do is ask how can I make this right. Not give them attitude. If I can maybe I will pay online or so other way. Shame on the way I’m treated. If they don’t want my money someone else will. Last chance to rectify this problem before I move on.

Rent-A-Center Company Information