1.29/5

Looking for a good furniture store?

Woodbridge, NJ

1306 Bob's Discount Furniture Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I purchased a bedroom set late July (complete bed frame, dresser w/mirror, chest, nightstand). The day the furniture was delivered it was missing drawer handles. I called the store before the delivery team left & was told I had to make a claim w/ customer service. I took that action the same day & was told the handles have to be mailed out & to expect them within the next couple of days. Mid-August came & I still had no handles, the drawers are not able to be used without the handles. Customer service then tells me (mid-August) that the handles are not in stock, but that it shows they will be in mid-September.

She personally told me she would call by the 15th of September to confirm they were being shipped. As of today 9/21, I have not received them & am now being told to wait to mid-November. I've dealt with several furniture stores & have NEVER had anything like this happen. Nor have I experienced a company not willing to rectify the issue some type of way. November means 4 months without being able to fully use my furniture.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Purchased what I thought was a leather sofa and loveseat. I also purchased the Goof Proof warranty. Both pieces of furniture began to peel. I was told the company that insured the warranty was out of business. Do not I repeat do not purchase the warranty. It’s a scam to rip you off for more money.

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I bought a living room set and promised the world. Everything was a lie. Even the refund was a bunch of b.s. Nobody at headquarters or the stores know anything about business. Would never recommend to anybody.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I LOVED Bob's when we bought our bed frame 4 years ago, and I like our couch as well, however today's experience has left me fuming mad! I will NEVER use Bob's delivery services again. The actual store is not being reviewed here, what I am reviewing is their customer service number that you call. The 1-800 number. Where do I start... the delivery people didn't have one of the end pieces to my couch. Some other wrong part was put on the truck in the morning. When I ordered the couch I made sure it would be delivered before this weekend. I also took today off to wait for the delivery all because we have 50 people coming this weekend for a big party and now I have a HUGE part of my brand new couch missing. That would make anyone mad to not have their house in order for a party.

One would think that a MAJOR company like Bob's that made a mistake would have some room in their next 2 day schedule to work in a customer who needs the ENTIRE couch ordered. How about that fact that all we get is a "sorry, that's unfortunate" after they charged me $220 for delivery and they are making me wait so that at their convenience they can deliver the part. I asked for money back on the delivery and was told they don't do that.

Then, to make this entire situation even more frustrating - I was told by my sales lady that if any of the pieces didn't fit in my room that I should refuse the delivery of them. I didn't like 2 of the middle pieces to the sectional, it felt too big and made the room feel cramped, so I "refused delivery" on those 2 pieces. Well, the delivery man - Kevin, wasn't having that. He told me I was making more work for him and had his guys come get the pieces and stormed out of here, leaving behind a huge industrial sized bag of garbage as well as a bedroom dresser box filled with garbage. (we didn't order a dresser). So, now out on our lawn/curb we have a huge pile of trash, thanks Bob's for making our yard look super trashy when you don't even know when our garbage is picked up and how long that will sit there. Again, we called and complained to customer service and they just don't care. Bob's your customer service SUCKS!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I bought a bedroom set 4 years ago. I’ve had issues with the dresser drawers MULTIPLE times. Drawers are ALWAYS coming off track and causing damage such as chips to other drawers. The first time they sent us a replacement draw which I had to install myself. No matter what I did (removing/rearranging clothing) the drawers are always coming off track. One draw actually broke apart!!! Today the tech came to take a look. Long story short, they refuse to replace anything. They are claiming it is my fault and not a manufacturing defect. HOW? This was not the first time. You’ve replaced it before!!! To top it off, the set is discontinued so I can’t even PURCHASE replacement drawers. I need to buy a brand new set!!!

Their furniture is so CHEAP and Poorly made!!! IT IS NOT WORTH IT. Pay the extra cash and go somewhere else. I also purchased a Bob-O-Pedic mattress. I took the protector off for the first time and there’s MOLD on the mattress. I have NEVER spilled ANYTHING or ate ANYTHING in my room let alone my bed. They are claiming I need to call the company who makes the mattress protector. Unbelievable!!! NEVER AGAIN!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bob's Discount Furniture?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I bought and exchanged a mattress. I was looking for a soft memory foam. The first was half soft and half firm. Why, I don't know, when I specifically asked for SOFT? I was able to change one time, for their Plush memory foam, which is supposed to be softer. The second mattress was more expensive, plus I paid a $250 delivery fee. I am in pain from sleeping on this mattress. My lower back and hips are in pain every morning. I have sides that go numb. I asked if they could exchange, and they wouldn't do it...past the 90 day policy, they only exchange once, it's written on their receipt (Which, by the way, is information you get AFTER you pay).

I don't usually complain or ask for help. Considering the circumstances, they should've tried to do something. I spent over $4,000 dollars there this year. I'm annoyed they wouldn't help! The mattress I had from Sleepy's was way more comfortable! I should've gone there instead. Be careful in buying a mattress at Bob's. The associates are used to selling furniture, not mattresses, and they're looking to make a sale. They really don't know how to sell for the comfort of your body. And given my experience with their mattresses, I can't say I think they are "soft". Maybe someone who likes firm mattresses disguised as soft might like what they have to offer. Blessings!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

We purchased a couch a few years ago in NY knowing we'd be moving to NC. We specifically asked if the insurance plan they sold us was transferable to NC and were told yes. After just a few months (while still in NY) 3 of our cushions ripped. The rep came out and determined that it was defective and could be replaced, however the cushions were on backorder for 5 months. They said they would call us when they came in. Instead, we heard nothing, but came home to 3 giant boxes of couch cushion skins sitting on our front stoop several months later. There was no contact from the company, no instructions and being that our couch is an upholstered recliner sectional, it is not as simple as replacing the old cushion with the new - the old skins need to be removed and the new ones reupholstered on.

In short, we are not qualified to do it, so we weren't sure what they expected us to do with them. Because we were in the midst of our move, we put them in storage to deal with later. A year and a half later, not sure if they would still address it, I called customer service to see if we could set something up to have a tech come and put the skins on. To my surprise, they said they'd be happy to do it, even though some time had passed... Except that they don't service NC. I asked why we had been specifically told that they did and they had no answer except to say they were sorry I was misinformed but they couldn't help. So they not only sold me a defective couch, but also an insurance plan I could do nothing with. I would absolutely NOT recommend Bob's to any of my family or friends back home. There is no integrity to their products, their sales tactics or their customer service.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I purchased a sofa at the Whitehall PA store. Within 3 months my sofa sunk in the middle. Upon a closer look I noticed that the wood that comes across the front had warped. I had to put bricks under to support it. Funny thing is I had the same problem with a loveseat I bought about 5 years ago. Is not like we are home all day sitting on them. I work 14 hour days. Will never buy anything or recommend it again. They used the cheapest materials they can find. By the way, my sofa pillows turned to pancakes.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I went into Bob's in the reading area today around 2 pm and we were not greeted by anyone in the store. My we walked around the store looking at dining room table and even put the leaf inside of a table. We watched about 8 sales associate sit in one area and not one person asked if they could help us. Two salespeople even came within 5 ft but never said a word. So I walked around the store looking at other items that I wasn't even interested in and even walked right past the group of salespeople and not one of them asked if I was being helped.

So I sat by the door and watched other customers enter the store and all of them were greeted by a salesperson. As I sat on the couch I called the store manager and explain the situation over the phone and told him that I was still in the store and felt as though we were purposely being ignored. The manager hung up the phone and came and apologized in person but the damage was already done. I don't have any plans on ever shopping at Bob's ever again.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I purchased a chair and side table that were to be delivered today. The delivery guys were great but unfortunately they brought the wrong chair (not their fault). They called customer service to let them know and the woman was so mean to them, tried blaming them for the error yet they just deliver what they're told. When she got on the phone with me she tried blaming the sales person until I told her I had the receipt in front of me and the sales person definitely ordered the right chair. She didn't apologize at all and acted like it was an inconvenience to talk to me.

We could not agree on a delivery date so I asked to speak to her supervisor but she wouldn't let me. She offered to transfer me to the refund department to get my money back but what I really want is my chair. After much arguing she said she put in a request for the delivery date I need and hung up on me. I am waiting for the store that I bought it at to open to see if they can help me because I'm pretty sure she didn't put in any request for me. I will start looking today for another chair from a store that values my business...

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I received a sofa and matching loveseat from Bob's Furniture Store in Columbia, MD as a gift. Loved my set, up until year 3. We moved across the country and settled into our new place. One day I noted the back leg had broken off so I attempted to put it back. Then I noticed the frame of the couch near the back leg section was cracked or broken. I have no clue how this would happen when all I have done is moved the couch from one side to another side of the apartment. We had purchased the additional protection coverage, so I filed a claim, which hold times were ridiculously long, for it to be denied in less than 2 minutes. I was told it's a manufacturer's defect and needed to go through the store.

So I called Bob's, again long hold times, just to be told I have moved outside of their coverage area and needed to file a claim through the protection coverage. At this point, everyone is saying there's nothing they can do for me. I just want it to be repaired or replaced as the coverage states it would. I love how comfortable my sofa is and it's a shame that I'm dealing with this at year 3 of it being in my possession. I would not recommend buying furniture from Bob's if you need it to last long, and I'd highly discourage anyone from adding the protection coverage. It's a waste of money.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Purchased a couch and motorized recliner two and half weeks ago. Told salesperson that delivery would need to be made up 6 flights of stairs. Salesperson said "no problem" and added notes to this effect in the delivery notes. First attempt, two men were sent and advised they could not deliver over 4 stories without another man. They said they were not informed of the flights. Rescheduled. Second time same problem occurred. Rescheduled again. Now on third delivery attempt and even though I reached out to our salesman prior to the delivery to remind him of the three men needed (and he assured me he contacted the delivery people), two men show up. We are done! Only solution the manager gave to me was to reschedule. Seriously?!! They may have great prices but if you can't get the furniture delivered...

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Bob's delivery team did $1,400 dollars of damage to my stairwell walls installing a sofa upstairs. I filed a claim; 2 months later no word from claims. All we are getting is the runaround from other departments and the claims department. No one calls or reaches out to you even when you do your part and what they ask of you to file. Avoid this company. They lost my business for good.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

Bought living room furniture. I have had three different deliveries because all or some of furniture was damaged. Customer service reps are the rudest people. Offered me as $30 gift card for my troubles. I want my $1500 back and this cheaply made furniture out of my house. Have put in a complaint with BBB and waiting on a response from NBC consumer investigative reporter.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I originally purchased a living room set from this company. After a few months the cushions started to sink, contacted Goof Proof and got the run around for months but finally got a refund and was able to purchase another set. The new set came broken and was told I’d have to wait weeks for a new piece. Was told I’d receive a gift card for the hassle but never did. Customer service rep would not provide last name and was extremely rude. New furniture less than a year old and is ripping already. They sell cheap furniture of poor quality! Steer clear of purchasing from them!!!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I purchased whole bed set from this cheaper company and also purchased Goof Proof from this cheap guys. Within 11 month bed frame broken. When call to customer care they said it covered by Goof Proof and when I call Goof Proof they said it just 11 month so it cover by manufacturer. Both are play football with me. So please aware by this company. Never buy furniture with them.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Read the fine print before purchasing a Goof Proof plan, because it's a HUGE waste of money. Big mistake that I didn't. About a year ago we had a flooding issue in our apartment which stained one of the chairs we purchased. I called and was told it wasn't covered because I didn't spill it personally and it was due to a burst pipe, but I could call my homeowners insurance and maybe they could help. Fast forward to this weekend, I personally spilled oil on my coffee table by accident and it discolored the wood, no problem surely this would be covered, so I called again. I was told because it wasn't food or beverage spilled it isn't covered. So essentially unless you go around spilling red wine or milk and not cleaning it up or leave hot pots on your table (not to be confused with bubbling that can occur from heat, they don't cover that, has to be rings and rings only) don't waste your time. I've already filed for my prorated refund.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Hi, I bought a couch for $$$ on October 2016 and after 1.5 years of use, I saw the seats are going down. I guess the material inside and the spring are not good to last even for at least 2 years. As I took a 5 year coverage, I called them couple of times and a guy showed up, checked it and told me that he is ordering it for me and I will get it in 2 weeks time. It was in the month of April. Then around May, I called the customer care, they told that they are currently out of stock and will send it by May end. After waiting for another month, I called them again and they said they already dispatched it, I will get it in 10 days time. Now it is September 4th and I still waiting. Very poor service. Very poor communication. Will not refer anyone to buy anything from this Store. All fake promises and forces the customer to go for 5 years warranty plan for $100. Please try to keep the promise.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

I bought two bar chairs which turned out to be too tall for the kitchen counter. I looked up Bob's return policy and found that most everything is not returnable. If the salesman stated the return policy I don't recall. He certainly did not emphasize it. Now I will have to purchase two, more suitable chairs. How much money did I save by buying at Bob's? Not a cent. Be sure to check all the fine print before signing on the dotted line.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I bought a carpet pad from Bob's Discount Furniture two months ago in a unopened sealed Plastic container and I tried to return it for a full refund. They would not honor it at all. The minute you leave the store you're 100% out of luck for a refund. It is like buying a used car from a dealership. Like it is "AS IS". I already purchased a few items from them. I will not purchase any more items from them again!. I guess I have to go to Raymour and Flanigan.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I have 2 couches from Bob’s. Both couches barely made it a year without needing replacement cushions. It takes multiple long phone calls to Bob’s and months of waiting to actually get replacement cushions. Currently waiting on replacement cushions and after a month they sent the wrong ones and told me I have to wait another month for the right ones. Will never buy anything from Bob’s. Poor quality products and you will waste hours of your life dealing with customer service.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

These guys sells me warranty for any accident, fire or cut. After two years when I call them for an accidental break they said this is not covered because of accident. Reason needs to be known. I can easily trick this if I cut with knife and call them. Seems like they are fooling with the customer and collecting $$$ in Goof Proof. I would suggest to stay away from these.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

***BEWARE*** I purchased an all leather reclining sofa and recliner with a 5 year Goof Proof warranty for over $1500. After just 2 years of use the leather is cracking and peeling. They claim to be 100% leather... Obviously it is a cheap imitation. Customer service representative inspected it and claims it's normal wear. Upon visiting the store the Manager advised me that it does not look like normal wear for an all leather sofa and she would contact the highest corporate level to have the photos reviewed. Weeks passed without a call back. I finally got a response from her only because I went into the store. She said it's normal wear, she refused to give me the corporate name and number of the person she spoke to. I will never be purchasing from Bob's again and I urge everyone to go to another furniture store. SHAME ON YOU BOB'S!!!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

We purchased an entire bedroom set for our daughter a little over a year ago. She was about to turn 4 at the time, so we spent the extra $200 on the goof proof protection plan... Let's start at the beginning. Bedroom set is delivered, and the dresser is a completely different color from the rest of the set. Sent it back. Dresser is delivered a second time AGAIN IN THE WRONG COLOR. (Entire set was white, dresser was delivered in silver and then brown.) Dresser finally is delivered in the correct color, and is severely damaged. Sent back again. Finally get the correct dresser.

So there's the beginning of their garbage operation. From there, the furniture seemed fine until a few weeks ago. Is at on the bed to read my daughter a bedtime story and the side panel that holds the mattress in place snapped off and broke. Now the mattress has nowhere to sit and is being propped up in the top corner by a bunch of books. I should mention I'm 5 foot 10, 170 lbs. Not exactly a big person...

So now worries right? Just call the "Goof Proof" protection plan. They literally state in the contract that this type of issue is covered for up to 5 years and $20,000 worth of damage, (Furniture isn't worth .1 percent of 20k for the whole set in my opinion, but I digress)... This is where it gets ugly. Sat on hold for over an hour 3 different times trying to get a hold of them. Requested a call back at this point from the automated system. If you miss the call back you have to start all over. FINALLY get in contact with them and they say it's not covered by them, but to call Bob's and they should take care of it...

Ok... Call Bob's. They say, "Send pictures of it to this email address." Cool. Sent the pictures. Three days later, "We're not responsible for that. Call your Goof Proof contract number and they should cover it." Responded to the email, but never got a response. As of right now, I'm waiting for a call back from the "Goof Proof" people AGAIN and this is still outstanding. I will literally never shop there again, and will be going to the store in person to obtain a resolution if this is denied again. They're an absolute joke and a complete scam. Do yourself a favor, don't go there. They're awful.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

I ordered a bed set in July, but the rails were not ready with the rest. The original delivery day was 8/4, but was changed to 8/17 so the rails were available. Then the week of the 17th they called us that they would not be ready until the 25th of August. Then this past Monday, 8/20 I received a call that the set would not be available until 9/7. After requesting to speak to a manager she informed me that the associate's information was incorrect and everything was still available for Saturday, 8/25 except the nightstand which would be available on 9/1. I agreed to reschedule the nightstand and confirmed the rest would definitely be coming on Saturday the 25th. She PROMISED.

My boyfriend received a confirmation call on Thursday 8/23 AND Friday 8/24 to confirm the delivery for Saturday. Then at 8:30PM I received a call that the rails were not in stock and we would need to reschedule our delivery for the FOURTH TIME for one reason or another AFTER receiving TWO confirmation calls. I cancelled our order for a full refund and will never shop at BOB's again. They need to create a more organized system and follow through with delivery dates they give to their customers. I wish I could rate it less than a 1.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

I bought a bedroom set and it was not delivered on the date promised. A week and a half later is when I got it plus when it did get delivered the dresser was broken. I returned the dresser and 1 month later I still haven't received my replacement. I call Customer Service but to no avail. I do not recommend Bob's Furniture Co. to anyone!

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

I purchased a sofa from Bob's. The third party delivery company told me it is not their job to bring up the sofa three flights of stairs. After calling customer care and much arguing with the driver they bought up the sofa for me to find it seriously damaged in 5 areas. I received a new delivery date for a new sofa to come. When that day came, the delivery person left without word after seeing the damaged sofa saying they can't take it, it is too big, I should buy something smaller. I called customer care and the rep laughed when I told her the delivery people left after saying they will come back and did take the damaged sofa.

I went to the store in Glendale, NYC, for a refund. They told me they do not give refunds and the manager put me on the phone with customer care. I spent 3 hrs. in the store. After much arguing with customer care while at the store, where they explained we will give you a new sofa and delivery date, I explained that would be the third time and I am going to another store. At the third hour of being there, they gave a refund and new date to pick up the damaged sofa.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

When trying to track your delivery expect long hold times, and lots of misinformation. The online tracker is a joke! For us it said the truck was in NJ when we were expecting a delivery in Manhattan and the driver finally called and said he would be there within half an hour. I likely spent over 5 hours in the span of two days to correct a wrong delivery and get the right stuff. The 9-1 window turned into after 2:30 with the tracker totally wrong for all of it. Almost impossible to get a real person on the phone and then they are using the same or similar tracker so not much good information. I will say Sharmain did an excellent job corrected the errant delivery and getting us on the schedule for the next day as we were moving into a vacant apartment and needs the bedroom for a 3 yr old. Bottom line is if you have days to sit around and wait, then get furniture from Bob's, if not forget it!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I initially purchased a bonded leather sofa and recliner along with the Goof Proof Plus warranty in 08/15. In less than a year, the sofa started getting little tears on the cushion. We contacted Bob’s furniture and received a new sofa. Approximately a year later and the sofa again had to be replaced for the same problem. Contacted Bob’s again and was told they stopped carrying the line of furniture because of numerous complaints. Was told I could purchase a new (and more expensive) sofa and they would apply the cost of the original sofa towards it plus buy another Goof Proof Plus warranty for the couch. Approximately a year and a half later, I noticed the bonded leather on the back of the recliner is shredding AND the sofa cushion is wearing out and has a bunch of little holes.

I call Bob’s again was I was able to get someone out to take pictures. The technician shows up 3 hours earlier than I was told to expect him so I was not at home. According to my husband, the tech took pictures and left. I was notified later that my complaint was denied. I had to call Bob’s several times to find out that my claim was denied because the furniture was showing normal wear and tear. Really? For furniture less than 3 years old? I asked for a review of the decision, I was told that the tech’s determination was final and there was nothing they could do about it and then said the only thing I could do was write a letter to the Corp ofc, which I plan to do. The quality of the furniture doesn’t even rate a “horrible” and their service is even worse. Once you actually purchase the furniture, you are on your own.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

So horrible and ridiculous customer service. The worst customer service ever I got. They show you things like diamond and provide you like zirconium. I ordered sectional sleeping sofa. Representative, showed me memory foam mattress and made me to try it. I said okay, I want this. She made bill. She promised us to get delivery on 31st July, so we were expecting call from BOB but we didn't get any. When we called at store, they said your order is here, we forgot to call you. As we chose to pick up, we reached at store and got our stuff. As stuff was wrapped up, they said do not open right now, it will be hard to carry to our house. We said okay and we got at home with stuff.

As soon as we unwrapped, we found scratches on it and it was torn at bottom. In addition, the mattress was spring mattress instead of memory foam. We reached to store via call and they transferred to customer care. They scheduled service. Technician came and reported damaged. Customer care informed me to get replacement without paying any extra. Next day I reached to store and asked for replacement and representative said to pay $100. I tried to talk with manager and he was responding so ridiculously that if you want, pay $100. Otherwise you should go out. I talked with customer care again from the store and at this time care said store manager is responsible to decide in this situation. We cannot waive $100. Store manager's decision is final. They made me to pay $100. So horrible customer service.

Bob's Discount Furniture Company Information