1.15/5
Based on 47 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

315 Papa John's Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 1, 2018

I tried to place a order over the phone and the person that picked up the phone was very rude. She started the conversation off with "It's a hour and a half on delivery and a 45 min wait on takeout, do you want to order or not"? I stated yes then I proceeded to ask her did they have a special and without hesitation she stated, "No!" I was like ok then she just hung up the phone. No sorry, thank you or anything. I understand they may be busy but there's a way to handle customers.

Original review: May 29, 2018

I ordered a garden pizza with extra cheese and it was nasty. First I didn't get the extra cheese They charge me for, it was swimming in tomato sauce. The dough wasn't done. It was raw. That's the nastiest pizza I ever ate. I put it in the oven to bake it some more but it's still nasty and the vegetables burn. I wasted my 20 dollars. It wasn't worth it.

Get expert buying tips about Chain Restaurants delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 28, 2018

Today is May 28, 2018. Today I ordered a gluten free pizza and barbecue chicken. Lets start with the pizza. When I was watching it being baked and box I thought that it would be hot. Well it was not. It was cold. I tried to warm it up but that made it worse. The taste was like nothing I have ever tasted. Bad and nasty. The toppings tasted old. Funny taste. Now the chicken. First it was the smell. It still smelled raw and the taste was the same. I tried to reheat and it had that raw taste to it. I just threw it all away. No!!! I do not have that kind of money to do that. I was mad and upset. I don't think I will ever order from them again. Please refund...nasty food. They did not leave a receipt.

Original review: April 18, 2018

So if you ever want to be called a ** in 2018 go to Papa John Pizza located 4213 Summer Ave. PLEASE SHARE!!! I was shocked and felt very violated that someone of a different color (**) in 2018 felted it was okay to call me such a name, this has not happened to me in 30 years or so. I did what big girls do and reported the incident to their Corporate office. And stated in the message, "Your employees is calling people **. Please contact me."

5 Days later... A call, the manager stated, "Well I know what the employee said happen, let's hear yours side. Okay?" I though... I proceeded to explain the incident and he begin telling me, "Well I have had this employee for 20 years and no incidents ever happened, no write up, nothing says he would act like this." As if I'm lying. I explain to him, "I work on avg. 75 hours weekly. For me to STOP what I am doing and walk into your store and then leave out and call your corp. wasn't because I had nothing else to do, it was because there is a problem there." This DM NEVER said, "I'm sorry on behalf of anything situation, employee, experience," nothing. But he did ask me about my employee's parking on his lot... Go figure. PAPA JOHN DOES NOT DESERVE OUR MONEY... PERIOD.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I purchased a pizza from Papa John's at 1650 Margaret St. # 307 restaurant #2883 Jacksonville Fl 32204. However I presented a coupon for $10 with five toppings and quantity two large pizza. It was hot with only and very little pepperoni, sausage, mushroom, and olives. No canadian bacon and green peppers! It was also sloppy when you pick one slice to eat besides the additives fell off the dough bread.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Papa John's?

Original review: April 1, 2018

The ABSOLUTE WORST EXPERIENCE IN THE 57 years I have been breathing air! Okay so I never visited a Papa John's ever so this was my first and last time calling or stepping foot into a Papa John’s anywhere USA. I called the Papa John’s in Bismarck ND to order delivery on 03/30/2018 at 6:10 PM. My order was a simple medium, thin crust 5 ingredient pizza cut Chicago-style (squares) and a 16-piece bone in wings with a 2-liter of soda. I also confirmed with the person taking my order that the pizza and wings were to be well done and cut Chicago style at least 3 times and was assured without hesitation it would be done exactly to my request. Cost was $40.32 which I thought was very pricey but went with it anyway.

Now on this night there was a winter storm going on so I wasn't concerned with the time of delivery at first but that changed drastically as this story progresses. I was told 30-45 minutes for the delivery, no problem. I was fine with that and placed my order. At about 7:15 PM I called to check on my order as it had still not arrived and was told he was out with my delivery. I said, “Ok, thanks,” and ended the call. 20 minutes later (7:35) the guy arrived with my delivery and I was on the phone talking to Penske truck as I had just moved from Connecticut to Bismarck 1 week prior to this and needed to confirm a few details about the truck rental. I answered the door and indicated to the delivery guy that I was on the phone, took my food from him and handed him $45.00 cash and gave him a thumbs up and he left.

10 minutes later I finished my call with Penske and opened my pizza. I was appalled as the pizza was like a wet noodle (not cooked fully) when I picked a slice up (let alone well done). It wasn't cut in squares (Chicago style) and all the ingredients were in a tight circle around the center of the pizza leaving a 2-3 inch gap between the crust and ingredients around the entire pizza, not to mention very sparse ingredients at that and it was a hand tossed crust not a thin crust which was obvious. I then opened my 16 piece wings order and they also were not well done and after counting them discovered only 13 wings had been delivered. Okay so I'm a little perturbed at this point and call back and speak to a shift manager identified as "Jamie" and explained that they completely got my order wrong and requested they remake my entire order (after debating the issue with "Jamie") and he reluctantly agreed to do so.

So now it is 9:00 PM and still no delivery so I called back again and inquired as to where my food delivery was and was told they were extremely busy and he should be there shortly. Before I hung up the phone I see the driver pull up in my driveway and go out to meet him at the door. So he opens his hot bag and hands me a small pizza (not the medium I had ordered) and I told him this is supposed to be a medium pizza and asked where the wings were. The kid just shrugs and says, “This is what they gave me and I wasn't told to bring any wings.” So I then ask him to remain as I was going to call his manager and asked him to confirm that Jamie was a manager as he told me he was earlier and the driver would only say that "he is my boss" and stood silent while I called Papa John's.

So I get Jamie on the phone and ask why he sent me out a small pizza when it’s supposed to be a medium and didn't send any wings. Jamie states "I only agreed to remake the pizza not the wings" which was a flat-out lie. At this point I tell Jamie either remake my entire order and deliver it correctly or send a driver to my house with my cash refund in full. Jamie then states "I have made your pizza twice and I am not going to make a it a third time". He further states "I will send a driver back to your home with your cash refund". I then hand the driver at my door the first pizza and the 13 wings and open them so he can confirm on the phone the order has not been touched by me while his manager was on the phone and he confirms it with Jamie. It is now 9:30 PM by the time the driver leaves and I called a different place and ordered my food from there, received it and ate it without issue.

At 10:30 PM I call Jamie back at P... John’s and asked when my refund would be arriving as I was ready for bed. Jamie then states "I am not going to send you a refund, I called my manager and he told me to have you call him on Sunday (Easter Sunday) and talk to him". So I angrily end the call and go to bed. Now not only did he have no intention of calling me to inform me of this but his condescending ** clown attitude was also over the top. So the next day I call Papa John’s in Bismarck at 6:30 PM and ask to speak with Brian, the store manager and he gets on the phone. I politely introduced myself and asked him if Jamie had explained the issue to him. Brian then responded with an extremely sarcastic "UH HUH" and puts me on hold. He then picks up another phone (I'm guessing from his private office) and begins just verbally browbeating me nonstop and refuses to allow me to speak a single word let alone explain what had happened.

Then he makes the statement of this "you called my driver a filthy prairie **, what makes you think we are going to do a damned thing for you? We will not be refunding your money at all". This was all a complete made up lie as I have two brother-in-laws who are both ** and my last roommate in CT was also **. Needless to say I'm infuriated after hearing this and demand his corporate complaint information which he refused to provide me and stated "I am the district manager so don't waste your time lodging any further complaints as they will only come directly back to me and I will simply toss it in the garbage", and he then hangs up on me.

So I have to do a little online research but I finally get the number to Papa John's corporate HQ and file a complaint with the Corporate offices. Turns out he is not the district manager just the store GM and Corp HQ escalated the issue to the franchise owner and Brian's regional manager. My head is still spinning over this and now I wait for my refund until "They" investigate this whole issue. Please, everyone do yourself a huge favor and STAY AWAY FROM PAPA JOHN’S, most definitely the Bismarck ND store on N Washington Street.

Updated on 04/03/2018: Well, I gave this company ample opportunity to correct this and Papa John's corporate has decided to ignore my corporate complaint as has the local Papa John's here in Bismarck North Dakota. It's very sad when a restaurant employee is empowered to take advantage of their customers by making up lies to simply cover their ** for not doing their job. The worst part is the Corporate offices, regional, district and franchise owners are all on board with this disgusting display of a lack of integrity and morals by their employees and not care a lick enough to do anything about it. So now I have to decide if I want to take them to small claims court over $40.00. If I don't they will surely continue to inflict this appalling behavior onto other customers.

Original review: March 21, 2018

After I ordered a pizza from Papa John's Atlanta Hwy Athens GA #300 I started receiving fraudulent activities on my credit card. I called to ask questions regarding the procedures of credit card orders. When I asked the store # I was told 3 different numbers for that location then when I questioned why different #'s they hung up on me. I am very UNSATISFIED with the customer service & sanitary practice at this location. I will not order again & will inform all of my service. I made police report for the fraudulent activities & once we track the IP ADDRESS there will charges filed.

Original review: March 18, 2018

I'm a caterer for a charter school, since September of last year I've been ordering more than 24 pizzas a week from Papa John's on N. Tryon St. I've had to contact the corporate office regarding the lack of service at this location which led me to working with the District Manager and advising her of my service complaints. The problems that I've had consist of the pizzas arriving more than 30 mins late which doesn't allow the students enough time to have lunch. The slices are cut uneven, which gives the students the impression that I'm purposely giving them a thin slice of pizza or I have to give 2 slices to compensate. (Parents complain and want refunds, but Papa John's has never refunded me). I asked them to redeliver pizzas that wasn't satisfactory; the pizza was delivered at 1 p.m. to the front office secretary. Lunch hrs are 11:10 a.m. to 12:40 p.m.

The cheese has been stuck to the top of boxes on a few of the pizzas. The pizzas appeared to be dropped and shifted overlapping other slices; unable serve. With that said, I have attached a few photos of the pizzas delivered on Friday. I contacted the District Mgr and expressed my concerns. Her comment to me was that I always have a complaint. I tried to reason with her and advise her that she was definitely wrong. I've not shared all of these issues with but I can say the concerns that she was made aware of she did nothing but make excuses for her staff. When I advised her that my pizzas arrived 30 mins late, her comment was they have several orders to get out as well.

She's never offered compensation to show that she values the business I have given them since September (weekly). Nevertheless, I've decided that the 1.2 rating is warranted with this company and have contacted another company for the school. As a caterer I take pride in the product that I provide, maybe they feel they're only children but they are my customers and I desire to give exceptional service.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Driver came to deliver online purchased pizza and request to see ID and credit card. The purchase should be confidential where a driver should have my credit card data so as to verify and neither should I need to show my ID. Those verification should be done online; however, my guess did show credit card and ID. Her husband placed the order with his wife card as she has a Papa John account. Upon delivery the driver asked and was given both cards and refused to give us the pizza because the wife name is not on the order.

He held on to the cards which made us very uncomfortable as identity thief’s is on the rise. While questioning us as though he doesn’t understand why she is not a he. Because of the driver suspicious behavior we decided to cancel the order because he had us jumping through hoops and not handing over the pizza. When we called to complain and asked for a refund. The person on the other line was rude, he yelled at me when I told him I would report him and refused to refund until he sees the pizza return. We don’t know if the driver got back but the security of buying and paying online and having to show credit card information to get a pizza is not a secure way of doing online business.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

But when I visited my mother in Atlanta GA last month, she said "let's order a pizza" from Papa John's but I said, "Aren't they take and bake only?" She said, "No they deliver and you can pick-up a baked pizza." I had no idea but what the heck, we'll give it a shot! I drove down, picked up a large pie with several toppings and took it home. 1st thing I noticed, the smell wasn't like other good pizzas I've eaten recently but it's about taste so I wasn't worried. Sat down to eat with my mother and opened the box; for the price, it looked very skimpy on cheese and meats.

Then the taste test: first bites we both looked at each other with a "really" look on our faces! I spit mine into a napkin and my mother swallowed her bite. I exclaimed: "I thought Domino's was the worst but there's a clear loser leader now!" We threw away the pizza and called to complain. The manager said: "that's what we make so take it or leave it!!" LOL. Not worth the trip back to put that pie where the sun shines on him all day. This is my review of what we think is the worst pizza ever.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

My husband called in an order to Papa John's pizza. We had a coupon from a flyer. I do not watch cable TV, we have HULU and other smart TV apps. Therefore, I had not seen any of their commercials. They were running a buy one pizza, get one pizza free deal at the time, it was a much better deal than the coupon we had. The employees did not mention their promo, perhaps they are instructed not to. The coupon we used was a couple dollars off of 1 two topping pizza.

My husband and I have known each other for over 20 years. My pizza order has not changed in all that time, mushroom extra cheese. I do not eat red meat. I overheard the order and he did not ask for the pepperoni that they put on the pizza. The kids and him got a pizza with sausage and other meats, with plans to eat a few pieces of mine. Our pizzas arrived, theirs was okay. Mine had mushroom extra cheese, & they put PEPPERONI on it. The manager claimed up and down that he overheard his employee take the order. She did nothing wrong. If that were really the case, the manager should have noticed that they gave us 3 toppings, instead of the 2 specified on the coupon.

I brought the WHOLE ENTIRE UNEATEN PIZZA BACK. They STILL have not refunded our money for the 2nd pizza, which should have been no problem, considering they were running a buy one get one free deal at the time! My husband is a police detective in this community, & is a very honest, and reliable man. I have been complaining on Facebook, & was told we would get a refund, they would escalate the case. Sadly, that this was my first ever experience with Papa John's pizza, & with shoddy treatment like this, unfortunately, it will be the last. I imagine when the gentlemen are trying to decide what pizza to get for everyone at the police station, this story comes up. After all, they did this to the head of the narcotics department. You know, the guy that shows up when small businesses get held up by heroin addicts. The employee and manager are incredibly rude to customers, accused us of lying.

It has been two months since they sent us a mistake pizza and blamed it on us, the order number got accidentally thrown away, but how many people bring whole pizzas back with none eaten? I guarantee, they know who we are. You don't argue with people that hard and have them return a faulty product in a huff, and have no idea... It is the Goucher St Papa John's in the Westmont section of Johnstown, PA. I have read other complaints online about this same store. You would figure they'd do something about it, as it is harming the company's reputation.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I called in a order to the Mill Creek store one day ahead of my event and gave a time for pickup. My husband went to pick it up & the pizzas were not ready. I thought 24 hours notice would be sufficient. We will have a party and we needed the pizzas at a certain time. My husband asked the gentleman if he would do our pizza immediately and he said "not going to happen". The pizzas for our party were 20 minutes late. Will never use this company again.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

Today how old is a pizza too large the $21.99. I order one Thin Crust and one pan pizza and guess what? When you order the pizza they don't tell. You think was going to be large but pan Pizza are going to be medium and I called the store and they said they're having the same problem. I don't blame them because this is the corporate office problem and it's pretty shameful they don't describe definition what kind of size of pizza you going to get and you they just take your money. And once you get it and you will surprise so before you do business with this people Mr. Papa John's you not anymore papa store. So unless you want to be mama papa store where you were belongs you can be there.

Unless put your act together and describe a consumer what they're paying for it rather doing false advertisement. No wonder they kick you out though but pretty soon the way you guys doing business I'm hoping you will be out of prison soon and shame on you and your corporate office. And by the way you forgot we living in the United States of America. No more Italiano so we don't do business like that. You not running your old-time Grandpa business. This is 21st century so put your act together and don't rip off people for no reason and again shame on you and your all corporate offices.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

They're late. The food is bad. They're disrespectful. They have a jerk for a boss who shows no respect for the little man. They wont even tell you what they're putting on your food. This place is terrible and cannot be trusted. This place does not deserve your money.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I called the call center and asked for 2 large pizza to be delivered to my house in Tala Amwaj...after one hour I called them. They told me extra 15 min... then I called again and the call center transferred me to the restaurant in Amwaj and I was choked that the Manager told me that there is no driver available now. After 1 hour 30 min (waiting for PIZZA).

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

It has been brought to your attention that one of their drivers is guilty of hitting a family's pet, killing it, (while the family witnessed this) and leaving the scene of the accident. Let them know that the driver was speeding through a residential neighborhood where children live, and all things considered, this does not reflect well on Papa John's Pizza, and that you feel this is an issue that is of great magnitude, and measures should be taken to insure that it doesn't ever happen again, whether it be a family pet or someone's child, and should be dealt with in a swift and decisive manner.

These big corporations need to handle up on stuff like this. They make billions of dollars in profit per year, and can certainly afford to implement some sort of "driver training" classes. If they are going to be hiring drivers that have the mentality that speeding through residential neighborhoods, hitting pets, and leaving the scene is "okay", then drastic measures are in order, and this problem needs to be addressed and dealt with immediately. One dead pet is too many. What is it's a child next time? As for me, I will be letting them know that this situation definitely means I will not be spending my money at Papa John's Pizza in the future. Employee was from Papa John's Mansfield Rd., Shreveport, Louisiana. Date happened. 1/10/2018.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I received a coupon for a free large pizza from Papa John's for my last order taking far too long. This is totally acceptable and I appreciated it. Their customer service is not the problem here, it is the food. The employees at this location are wonderful. And our food was delivered in a perfectly timely manner. My complaint is with corporate. I am skeptical that the wings I ordered (never gotten them before, just giving them a try) were even from real chickens. They are 99% fat, 1% bone, and have a very bizarre gamey taste. I never write reviews, but am going out of the way to urge Papa John's to please look into this issue, and to dissuade others from wasting money on something that tastes the way these wings do. Perhaps the chickens supplying these wings are prohibited from even moving or seeing daylight for their entire lives. That would be the only sad and pathetic, yet logical explanation. Absolutely terrible quality. Will never order again.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

My husband and I ordered 16 wings and an xl pizza pepperoni and sausage. When I got home I opened the chicken box there was only 12 wings and my pizza was wrong. It was ham and sausage. I took the order back and the manager gave me back my cold wings and 4 wings they remade. Also gave us a new pizza. Upon arriving home I opened the pizza box and it was the same pizza they gave me before!!! They just put it in the oven to get it warm again. When I called again the manager Heather said she wasn’t going to replace it!!! I will never eat here again. Unless of course it’s free. Worst customer service ever. Also was not given a receipt but did include pictures of our order.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

I promised my team I would buy Pizza today (Friday) as a thank you for their hard work. I saw Pizza Hut had 50% off but Papa John's had a BOGO deal. I chose Papa Johns and paid $29. If it were not a BOGO deal I wouldn't be complaining. But $29 for a BOGO pizza deal is insane!!! Too pricey. Last time I buy Papa Johns.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I placed a delivery order at Papa John's located on 529 Stanley Avenue Brooklyn, New York 11207 at approximately 12:50 pm on January 4, 2018. Although Papa John's is less than five blocks away from my residence, I still have not received my order and the time now is 5:00 pm. The delay in service was extensive. When I tried to contact a customer service representative at the store number (718) 272-7272 it took two-three hours of non-stop calling before someone even answered. The person whom I spoke to was unapologetic when I requested to cancel my order. They kept me on hold for 30 minutes when I shared my experience and that I would like a refund. I now, have to call my credit card company to ensure this purchase does not go through because they were not helpful. I would only buy from this place if I loved being treated less than a dog. Where is the humanity?

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

I called to order a pizza tonight. The young man answering was a bit short. We're seniors and don’t need a lot of pizzas. I asked about special offers and his answer was buy one get one free. Not for us so I asked what a medium Hamburger pizza would cost delivered. He said $18 and I replied that it sounded a bit pricey for a one topping. With a little rudeness he said that’s what they cost. I told him the last order was wrong so I would just call someone else. Called Pizza Hut and got a large two topping with an order of breadsticks for $16.50. The pizza was just the way we ordered and tasted great. Sorry Papa John's but we won't call a third time.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

Dec. 23rd 9 pm. Ordered a large pepperoni & mushroom pizza delivered to my home. Began eating it about 10:30 pm. Around 1:30 am, I awoke & started vomiting. My son who also ate the pizza began vomiting about 2:30 am. We both continued with vomiting & diarrhea for several more hours. We will never eat a Papa John's pizza again. It came from their location on Edmondson Ave. In Catonsville, MD.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

Well first off my first order they said was going to take over an hour so I cancelled it and they said I could get a free one. So I called to get my free delivery and they couldn’t do it so I just paid and then it got to my house. I was eating my second piece and I found a long brown hair cooked into it and immediately stopped and threw the rest away. It was absolutely disgusting!!!!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

Tonight my order was delivered missing one pizza sauce cup. It wasn’t a huge deal, but I did pay hard earned money for it. I called the store to have the missing cup brought out to me and after an hour, nothing came. I called again and the manager said that I was lying because he boxed my food himself (and apparently he never makes mistakes). He would not give me my missing food item. I consider this theft. The manager was also very rude and condescending. This was at the Cliff Road location in Eagan, MN. Stay far away from this location or even Papa John’s altogether.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

After waiting 3 hours 12 mins on my pizza, I made a second call and spoke with Pam that advised me my pizza was delivered to a couple that explained to the delivery driver as well as Pam they didn’t order a pizza. No call was made to me to inform me of the mix-up and yet I was told she would cancel the order so I could make another one however, the delivery time would be another hour wait. This should never happen to a customer. I’ve had nothing but problems when ordering from this store and yet I still support the business. This was the last time I EVER use them again!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I called and ordered a pizza and they said be 20 mins, no problem so I go in get it and they take my money. Go back to get my pizza and the girl comes back and says her driver didn't put it in the oven. As I stood at the counter while she was just sitting in the office doing nothing she should have put it in. Never again!!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I order pizza from Papa John's for our family's pizza night. However this time I ordered pizza and received the nastiest pizza I have ever tasted. No one was able to eat their food or enjoy the meal. I called the store and we got the exact same gross tasting pizza. I will not be ordering from them again. I'll eat Little Caesars first. They should be providing the products promised great ingredients, great pizza not today.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

Over the years the quality has become worse, too many crazy pizza creations, overpriced. I spent $36 on one pizza and a 2 liter. I should have just ordered from the authentic Italian pizzeria down the street for $10 less, I know I am charged $2 for delivery but it's ridiculous for the quality and waiting time 80 minutes!!!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

The delivery fee needs to be explained and stated for what it is, a farce! The driver doesn't get it, and there's NO difference in what the store has to do to get the pizza to me. I tip the drivers $5.00 for each pie delivered. But, adding $3.98 (after tax) as a delivery fee is highway robbery and is just dishonest when the driver isn't getting it and you didn't have to do anything else to get my pizza in the box before the driver takes it? The fee started at $2.00, and quickly climbed to $3.75 within a couple years? I'm done with being cheated!! How crooked and despicable can you possibly be to gouge customers for a FAKE fee? START BEING HONEST!! Either remove the fee or itemize what it's for and where it goes!! Crooks!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

While visiting relatives in Fort Wayne Indiana my wife and I went to get a pizza, I get Papa John's pizza on every trip in every state we travel to and I always get for my employees too. There are 20 of us that travel state with our work, we ordered 6 pizzas and pop, when we got to job site all the toppings were threw right in the middle of the pizza, this was terrible, this was right in Fort Wayne. We are there around 7 times a year and have not been back, just thought you should know how your pizzas are being made in that city.

Papa John's Company Information