International House of Pancakes (IHOP)
1.30/5
  • 1 star
Based on 108 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

International House of Pancakes (IHOP)

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 16, 2018

121 International House of Pancakes (IHOP) Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

Bad experience Store #3463 in Bel Air, Maryland location - I've only been to IHOP twice, both carry out orders. The first time everything was great! I decided a few days later to order out again -- what a mistake! I spoke with Amanda (443-371-6330) and she put me on hold and then disconnected me. I called back and Amanda put me on hold for about 5 minutes more. Then after finally answering, when I gave her my order (the same as the first time), she said "that sandwich doesn't exist." I said I got it a few days before and she said "that sandwich doesn't exist, are you sure you got that sandwich?" I said, "Yes, it's only a grilled ham and cheese sandwich and fries." She said again, "that sandwich doesn't exist".

When I asked for a manager, she said no one was on duty and when I asked for a Corporate complaint number, she didn't know it. I then went online and registered a complaint and when I didn't hear anything a week later, I called the Customer Service number online (1-866-444-5144). I had a case number from my online complaint and despite having an existing complaint, they wanted another week to address my complaint. They said that it was up to the store (franchise) to contact me and they couldn't make the location address my concern. What a mistake, avoid at all cost! I know I will from now on!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

You How three IHOP restaurant who don't know how to serve disabled people. I am visually impaired. They do not have Braille menus that's required by federal ADA when they serve food to your customers. It is Cool and a lot of your workers Have a bad attitude yesterday. My daughter and I went to a IHOP on 17th St. before Grand Avenue in Santa Anna. The waitress had a bad Attitude, gave me sourdough toast that I did not ask for, cool eggs when the food should be hot and not taste like they all do. Something about your restaurant the ones on Harbor will not serve me because eight years ago my uncle who is a police officer came and told me to move my RV because McDonald's was talking about towing it.

They told me I was not allowed in the restaurant anymore. That's the way they treat their customers. I am disabled. One time I went in and I was told I could not plug in my power chair and I was sitting at a table by a plug. I only had one bar on my power chair and my husband had a push it to the Disneyland parking lot and there is a 500 pound chair. I don't appreciate people treating others like if they were a piece of trash and when you're homeless is not our fault but they don't want to serve them either. I have seen a lot of homeless people come into the restaurant and they're told to get out. People or people home with her not. We are God's people not dogs.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I have been a loyal IHOP customer for years. I travel with my family quite often and, no matter which state we are in, IHOP has been our first choice for breakfast. Unfortunately, after many years of patronage, our positive experience came to an end on Christmas day of 2017. On this morning, we decided to go to IHOP in 795 South Semoran Boulevard in Orlando Florida (Store #36-081).

After eating breakfast, our waitress returned to our table and informed me that my credit card had been declined twice. I found this to be odd so I called my credit card company to get more information. In the meantime, I paid for the meal in cash. The credit card customer service representative informed me that the transaction was not declined on their end. In fact, she saw two transactions posted. I called the waitress and informed her about my findings; she was not able to give a clear explanation so she suggested for me to speak to the manager. I agreed.

The manager came with a hyper attitude. He appeared to be annoyed by my request to speak to him. He stated that credit card companies sometimes decline transactions because of fraud. I explained to him that this was not the case in my situation and that two transactions were showing in my account in addition to the fact that I had paid in cash. He appeared not to be listening to my concerns. He was talking loud enough that it caught the attention of the patrons sitting around our table. He stated in an unprofessional and insensitive manner, "It is not my fault if your credit card was declined twice."

I reiterated to him that it was not my credit card. I also stated that I was going to keep an eye on the transactions and that I would be following up if I was overcharged. At this time he stated again in a loud voice that it was not his fault that I was declined twice. He abruptly and unprofessionally walked away with my receipt while stating sarcastically, "Merry Christmas, I am not going to go back and forth with you". Again, patrons around me were staring at our table, some chuckled. My family and I were extremely embarrassed.

As we were walking out, I asked the manager for my receipt. I also asked for his full name. He walked around hyper stating, "I'll give you my name, I'll even give you my damn picture with it." I told him that there was no need to be a **. He stated in confrontational manner, "What did you call me?" At this point I did not want this incident to continue to escalate, so I proceeded towards the exit. As I was walking out, a waitress yelled sarcastically, "Merry Christmas!" There were patrons at the main lobby waiting to be seated. Again, my family and I were made a focus of sarcasm. The unprofessional culture in store # 36-0810 is evident.

It is superfluous to reiterate how the manager treated us in an unprofessional and disrespectful manner. My family and I have never been embarrassed and treated in such a way by anyone, let alone by a manager of a restaurant that prides itself for their customers to "Come hungry. Leave happy". His unprofessionalism, sarcasm, negative behavior and lack of customer service cannot be justified.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

I got FOOD POISONING from IHOP!!! I went to the doctor and he confirmed that, and the doctor told me that his son also got Food Poisoning from IHOP!!! It took me 2 weeks to get well. IHOP refused to take any responsibility!! Stay aware!!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Hello I was passing through San Marcos going to San Antonio, and I stopped by IHOP 1920 and where I sat down at a wonderful waiter's table, and I happen to overhear the Manager not letting his staff clock out when they were supposed to, and had them stay longer than supposed to which is awful but the coworkers there seemed so unhappy too. The staff were wonderful to the customers especially our waiter. Except there was this one waitress, I didn't know her name but I know she had a black ponytail, and the way she acted to her coworkers was extremely inappropriate. She was very rude to her customers. I feel so bad for her coworkers. It breaks my heart, I used to be a waitress, and I know it's difficult but the other staff looked like they were having a bad day - good day.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about International House of Pancakes?

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

At a stop for lunch with my family, our server, Katrina went above And beyond her customer service duties. She checked on us every 5 minutes or so. However the food took awhile to get to us. The restaurant was not busy, so we couldn't figure out why our order was taking forever. My true reason for this review is to praise Katrina. She was the best server I've ever had. And I'm in the hospitality business! She deserves recognition.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

Going into IHOP waiting to be seated we had to wait for over 10 minutes and they wasn't busy. The food was great but the restaurant wasn't all that clean and if my husband didn't make a joke the waitress wouldn't of said too much of anything.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I called in my to go order around 11:02 am. The person that took my order seemed as if she didn't know how to take an order, I was told that it would take 20 minutes before it would be ready. I got there around 11:25 am and waited for my food for another 25 minutes before it was ready. I also ordered a drink which was not readily available when my food came out and requested my hash brown to be crispy which was nowhere near close. This is not the first time that I have had to wait long for a to go order or my order not being correct. I am very unhappy with the service for to go orders. Store#1915 in Lafayette, La Server.

Original review: May 4, 2017

Take a hint. If you don't know how to cook it, don't even try. Stick to breakfast only. Lunch we had today was not fit for consumption. Will never eat lunch again at any Ihop. This store was in Waxahachie Texas. 23.55 was amount of bill.

Original review: April 22, 2017

This morning I visited IHOP for breakfast with my two kids. We waited after ordering food for over 2 hours. Post repeated reminders server came to me and said he forgot about the order and wanted me to reorder. Which I did and again after 30 min I finally left with my hungry kids to go to a place where we could get a decent service. My experience has been very bitter. I do not recommend anyone to go to this place.

Original review: March 4, 2017

Visited the IHOP Restaurant in Lake Wales, Florida store # 36-095. The Server Brittanie ** and the Store Manager Donna ** were exceptional!! In addition to great food the service was above and beyond expectations. My spouse was just out of the Lake Wales Medical Center and not feeling well and the Manager Donna ** attended to our every comfort to include placing an ICE bag on her neck. Just incredible. Brittanie the Server ensured the food was HOT and just the way we wanted it. A real tribute to IHOP employing these special people!!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2017

My family went to the IHOP in Gulf Breeze, Florida. Restaurant number 360172. We used to go every Sunday, but every single time we went, we had problems with either the food, service, wait time, or some other ordeal. We tried going to a further IHOP in Fort Walton beach, but still horrible. They don't apologize, and only make excuses. I always get the egg white fit omelette with dry sour dough toast. It has come hard boiled, not cooked through, half the size, and we always (I mean every single time), get told we can't sub toast for fruit. Which they always end up doing after a very unpleasant confrontation.

This time, at the Gulf Breeze location, we were told, again, we can't sub toast for fruit. Terry (the unprofessional, wannabe manager) told my husband he had better be grateful they are giving us toast this time, because it will not happen again. My husband asked her firstly, why aren't the customers always right? That is a businesses true purpose, to make the customer happy. Next, he told her to grab the real manager. She was dismissive, and very rude. The manager never came to our table, our drinks didn't come until after our meal was delivered.

We love the food when it is made correctly. It was delicious this time. Demi ** was our server in training. She did a great job aside for forgetting our drinks. I have to say though, when we have had problems with our food, we actually get told that is how it comes, so if we ask for it to be made again, apparently it comes unfixed? I can't believe they actually get away with telling customers that. Terry needs to find a new job. Demi, told us she fired her as her trainer. So, Apparently, she is as rude to her fellow employees as she is to her customers.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2017

I received a birthday certificate for pancakes at IHOP so my husband and I decided to go to the local IHOP in Parker, Colorado. When we arrived I asked the server if I could use the birthday certificate towards a reduction in my meal price instead of receiving an $8.99 specialty pancake platter. She told me whatever I ordered would be reduced in price by $8.99. I ordered a meal that included a side order of pancakes/French toast.

We were charged for three meals when we ordered two meals. I guess that way with the $8.99 off with the birthday certificate, IHOP was still charging us full price for everything served and the food served was repulsive!!! With the $8.99 cost reduction with the birthday certificate, and being billed for three meals when we were two people having ordered a TOTAL of two meals, we paid w/ tip approximately $37.00 for our grotesque meal - my meal which was with birthday certificate and for a simple meal for my husband. What we were served was repulsive. We took about 80% or more of the meal home in a "to go" box. Even with that my husband and I have been ill upon returning home and vomiting.

We repeatedly asked for a manager. No-one came. Then after going to the front register, the person there, at the register, said she was new. We asked for a manager again. We waited over ten minutes by the register repeatedly asking to speak to a manager. No-one came. It was clear no-one had any intention of coming to speak with us or to correct the bill. I remember in the past enjoying a meal at IHOP. This IHOP at least is nothing like the IHOP that I remember. Someone from corporate needs to inspect that IHOP and either retrain everyone there or shut it down. That location is a disgrace to the IHOP chain.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2016

One cashier and we were 4th in line with 4 families behind us. Waited over 30 mins for our food. Service and staff were slow and really just walked around. They need food workers who know what they are doing. This is an express IHOP that just opened and we have heard nothing but complaints about service, cold food, and waiting forever. And we got chocolate milk which is 8 ounces and we had that drink on our 40 mins plus wait and had to buy more drinks. This is Jacksonville IL. We were excited about this opening but after coming once, we won't be back.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2016

Lack of integrity and rude Manager. This morning we visited the La Verne location for a late breakfast. We had purchased a raffle ticket through our children's school a couple years ago, and held it until the time was right. The Gift Certificate was entitled, IHOP #791 1201 Foothill Blv La Verne CA 91750 and was "In the Amount of...Free Complete Meal for a Family of 4" - no expiration date. An ID in red ink on the bottom of the certificate. We presented it to our server, and in about 5 minutes the Manager ** came to our table and said, "Sorry, we can't honor this because there is new ownership." When I asked where on the certificate did it say that this certificate was predicated on ownership, she said that she'd have to contact the owner. I said, "OK, go ahead and give him a call." She said, "I don't think he's available". I told her that was not acceptable, and I think that they should honor it.

Nothing on the certificate indicated any expiration, amount or ownership. This is not acceptable and I expect a full refund - total $43.74. I added a $10 tip for **, the server who apologized profusely, but I have no issue with her. The issue is with the rude Manager and with the principle of this issue. In a day an age of mass internet exposure and risk of poor reputation, I think that an immediate reply and refund are appropriate.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2016

I wanted to take my family out for a nice quiet meal and ended up with the complete opposite. First off we saw the hostess outside having a smoke break upon our arrival. I didn't think anything of it and went inside, only to sit there along with 3 other parties waiting to be seated... then he decides to come inside and seat us. We were Sat at a table in front of the kitchen entrance/exit, my 9-month old son was in a highchair at the end of the table (where the servers are walking out with hot foods & beverages... that made me very uneasy.

Then the "hostess" tells us they are short-staffed. I look around and only counted 3 servers IN THE ENTIRE BUILDING. At this point I'm ready to go elsewhere, I stay because I see our food lined up in the kitchen. The chef actually brings us our food and is actually a breath of fresh air considering his co-workers all seem to be nutbags. While eating I look into the kitchen because I hear profanity blaring from someone's mouth and as I mentioned earlier, my 9-month old was in earshot of this entire conversation. Meanwhile our server brings us an entire pitcher of soda instead of refilling our glasses.

I'll attach a photo of the "hostess" preparing someone's food with his dingy gross boxers hanging out of his pants and a server dropping an entire box of condiments on the floor beside us shattering glasses of hot sauce. If I wanted to go to the circus I'd go to the circus, if I wanted my child around indecent conversations I would've settled for a dark seedy bar. But I wanted a nice family meal and ended up boxing it and going home because the service was horrible and I paid a good amount of money. I didn't receive my receipt either.

Original review: July 28, 2016

Been meaning to post this! We went to IHOP in Brooklyn Center, MN and this waitress (Sarah **) gave us a drink that had a maggot in it! Then she had the nerve to still charge us for the drink! Like are you kidding me! When we told her we weren't paying for it, she got an attitude like it was our fault. I wish we would have gotten a picture of it so we could have sued the crap out of that IHOP! Never going back there. That's gross.

Original review: June 16, 2016

This restaurant is going down is responsibility of bad choice when selecting personnel!! This restaurant is super good and delicious! The service is supppppper bad!! Repetitive occasions forgotten everything! And yelling loud side to side like a urban market!! Asking for things every minute living behind because not putting attention! The restaurant was empty! Hot Wells and Hwy 37 South San Antonio, and the one more close to me is the one in McCreless on S. New Braunfels is more urban service. No manners San Antonio, Texas 78210.

Original review: June 6, 2016

Come in after a long day at a shutdown 4 hour drive - meet my wife in Tillman's corner IHOP in Alabama and don't get served and treated like I wasn't nothing but ** and I just wanted to take my kids out to eat because I ain't seen them in awhile so I left and went to Waffle House and I will never eat at another IHOP again being treated so wrong.

Original review: June 4, 2016

I tried IHOP twice when I was in Tracy, California and I could say they may not be the best pancakes in the world but I like how fluffy they are. I ordered the buttermilk pancakes and their add-on bacon strips. They're really filling and tasted wonderful. A very hearty breakfast indeed! They also had 4 different choices of syrup flavor to go with the pancakes. I would also like to commend their staff at their Tracy store because they were really friendly and tried their best to give us the best customer service.

Original review: May 22, 2016

I am writing this review because I think IHOP is overrated. It's not that delicious!!! The pancakes are just regular pancakes sold at a very high price. At first I really wanted to try their pancakes. I was dying to eat them because of what I heard from friends and other people, they say they're very delicious. So, one day, I decided to take my breakfast there. They're so expensive but then again I thought maybe the taste is worth the price. I was wrong... The pancakes look okay. Nothing special. Just like the regular ones that I eat at home or at McDonald's. I thought "don't judge a book by its cover". When I took my first bite, the first thing that came into my mind was... what a waste of money, time, and energy. I came to this place 5 miles from home to eat this kind of pancake?!! Are you ** kidding me?!

This is so unfair! I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!! Starbucks is also expensive BUT IT IS WORTH IT! Their coffee is the best. But IHOP and their expensive regular-tasting plain-looking nothing special overrated pancakes??? I can't understand why so many people eat there! Is there something that I don't know or should I know? I was really dissatisfied. I won't go back there!! I regret going there.

Original review: April 29, 2016

Upon my last experience with IHOP I would have to give the restaurant a 3/5 star rating for the following reasons: The waitress was AMAZING. She was very attentive to our needs and funny in the process. The food however was subpar. Did you know they put pancake batter in their omelets!? Overall satisfied, and would go again. However only if invited.

Original review: April 16, 2016

My husband and I went to IHOP for a breakfast/dinner last night. The food was sufficient and so was the service. The young female server was very nice and asked more than once if everything was alright. THE COFFEE WAS TERRIBLE. IT WAS SO WEAK YOU COULD NOT TASTE COFFEE! When I asked the server if she could make some stronger coffee, she explained the coffee came prepackaged. In my opinion there was too much water put in the coffee maker in order to make more coffee. We have eaten at this store before and been pleased with our meal. I suppose the owner decided that he was going to make the coffee last longer by adding water to it. When you pay $2.29 for a cup, you want to at least taste the coffee taste. NOT SURE WE WILL GO BACK!

Original review: April 15, 2016

We came to celebrate a friend's child's birthday. We arrived at 6:40 pm and was still waiting for food at 8:00. pm. I ordered a glass of tea, it was not served with the other beverages. Even though I and others repeatedly reminded and asked for it, I never received my tea. They finally gave me a glass of water. There were only 4 other people there when we were. Now we know why.

Original review: April 10, 2016

In Fargo, ND. While choosing IHOP for a late night meal with my husband. I tried to order an omelet without pancake batter. Having celiac disease, it can be fatal and usually requires a hospital stay. I ask the waitress to ask the cook if it could made without the pancake batter and was told no, that she had asked before. I then ordered a salad that contained oranges. She came back to inform that they were out of oranges. I ended up with a bowl of greens, very small amount of chicken and a few pecans with a $9.69 charge. What a waste of money and a terrible experience.

Original review: March 22, 2016

I was in Ihop for over an hour and the waitress never acknowledge us and I had to ask the cook "is anyone going to take our order" and he was ** so he came from the back to take our order and when he place the food on the counter the waitress never brought our food to us. I had to get up and get my own food off the counter. Then I ask her for a drink and she said then, "The cook take your order then he needs to get your drink." She DID not want to wait on us and she was not busy just walking around doing nothing. She waited on everyone else and greeted them at the door but not us. I felt like I wasn't human the way she treated us - animals get treated better then that. I have it all on video. If you ever go to the Ihop in Deerfield branch make sure Patricia not your waitress - she has a very bad attitude against African Americans. She has made it very bad for me to step foot in another Ihop.

Original review: March 1, 2016

I've tried for over a month to get the birthday coupons from IHOP. I've called customer service several times. I only receive emails from IHOP customer support stating the issue is on my end. Clearly the issue isn't, no emails get blocked or sent to spam. Every correspondence IHOP says the issue is my fault. Clearly the issue is on IHOP and for some reason they refused to help. Even after several calls to Customer Care(less).

Original review: Jan. 17, 2016

I and a group of students went to the IHOP in Sevierville. The manager required us to order from a group menu of only six items instead of choosing something to eat from whole menu. They said it was easier on the kitchen staff. I feel that if I am paying, I should be able to order whatever I want. Our waiter, Levi, was pretty good.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2016

When you have inarticulate, ignorant people at all levels in your restaurant it is going to reflect negatively on IHOP. I called before I went. The woman, name unknown, answered the phone and spoke several loud, guttural, unintelligible words. Confused, I said that I was trying to reach IHOP. She responded with, "Yeah, this is IHOP." I asked if they had Wi-Fi. She said, "Yeah." When I arrived I waited several minutes at the 'Wait to be seated' sign. I can't imagine why it took so long to notice/acknowledge me, there were only two occupied tables. When the waitress finally come to seat me I found the Wi-Fi wasn't working. A woman was on her computer a few tables over and I asked her if she was able to access the internet. She said, "No, the signal is too weak."

I asked the waitress why the Wi-Fi wasn't working. She did not understand even the most rudimentary aspects of computers but she repeatedly kept saying that it was working, even after I showed her it was not working. I asked her where the wireless router was located so I could try to seat closer to it in hopes of being in signal range. She didn't know what a router was. I asked a man with a name tag that read, 'G.M. Earnest' that was supposed to be the manager. His English communication skills were terrible; vocabulary, pronunciation, and grammar. He said, "The router is all over the building." Obviously he was technically ignorant. These IHOP employees represent IHOP. These two do NOT represent IHOP well.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2015

Just left from there with an upset stomach. Their French toast was not even cooked, neither were the waffles or crepes. As soon as we walked in, it smelled like mildew or something old and the coffee was gross. They need to do major cleaning and seriously, it wasn't busy for them to not thoroughly cook the food. We just didn't want to deal with rude service sending the food back or getting up to leave.

International House of Pancakes (IHOP) Company Information

International House of Pancakes
www.ihop.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use