3.37/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

A member of the PayPal family, Xoom has partnered with companies around the world to provide its users with safe and affordable money transfer options. Whether you’re looking to reload a phone, send money or pay bills for family and friends, Xoom has fast, easy and secure options for everything. Recipients can take advantage of their convenient global network and receive funds through direct deposit or by hand delivery. Visit their site today to explore all money transfer options!

Xoom Money Transfer Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

I am a faithful Xoom customer simply put because their customer service, professionalism and efficiency is without rival. They are undoubtedly the best online money transfer service in the market. The transfer is rapid, dependable and secure. The sender is meticulously informed at every step of the transfer from initial processing to availability of funds to receiver to completion of transaction upon collection. This information is faithfully relayed via email or text to the sender.

In addition to the convenience of many points of receipt of transfer available to the receiver, there is also the facility of transfer to receivers' accounts at a variety of local banks. Home delivery is also offered. I also take advantage of another service Xoom offers in adding minutes to receivers' cell phones. I am a faithful customer because their fees are also very reasonable. The convenience, professionalism and excellent service that Xoom provides renders them the very best company for money and cell phone minutes transfer. I recommend them to family friends and anyone looking for an overall 5 star service.

Get expert buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

Hello. I would like to Thank customer service in Spanish speaking for their amazing work. I made a mistake sending money to the wrong account in Mexico Banamex. I spoke to customer service in English many times for like a week & they drag so much asking for a lot of paperwork that I was not able to get (Bank statements from the recipient). They said that without that info I was not going to be able to recover my money right away & I was sending email back & forth. After talking to 2 people John & someone else I dont remember their names. I decided to speak to someone in Spanish. They solved my problem fast & the easiest way possible, they emailed the bank on Wednesday 09/18/19 I believe & by Thursday 09/19/19 I had already an answer that I will receive my money within 5 business days. Thank so much again. You have an amazing staff Customer service Spanish speaking.

Original review: July 23, 2019

Very pleased with this service. I've been using it for over a year now. The funds are being deposited in the destination bank account the same day as they are withdrawn from the source bank, and in some cases the funds are being deposited in the destination bank before they are even withdrawn from the source bank!! With traditional wire from bank to bank the funds are being withdrawn from the original bank, they "disappear" for about a week or so and then they show up at the destination bank. That made me feel very uncomfortable as to what happened with the money.

No fee if the transaction is over $1,000.00 which is super nice. Also, in my case at least, the rates are better than a traditional bank to bank wire transfer, although there is another online service that has slightly better rates than Xoom, but I prefer the security of a PayPal company. The first time that I used it they called me to verify that it was me who was transferring the funds which made me feel more comfortable. I certainly recommend Xoom to other people.

Original review: July 22, 2019

In June, my daughter went to Paris and on the way from the airport had her phone and credit cards stolen. For the next two hours I was in research mode trying to find the best and most reliable way to send cash. The reviews online for traditional methods were very discouraging. Then I stumbled on Xoom. I was very reassured by their connection to PayPal.

There were some issues filling out the online forms but I can't recall if I faulted Xoom for that. Due to my credit card company thinking it was a suspicious charge and my own errors in entering credit card info, I must have filled the forms out from the beginning four or five times. But when I hit send, it was less than two minutes until my daughter had access to $500, at a location four blocks from her hotel. It was a relief. I have since recommended Xoom to all my friends and have told the story many times.

One criticism, probably not of Xoom directly, but a few weeks later I got an email request to complete a survey. My experience had been so positive, I was happy to do it. The questions were not relative to my experience and it was very frustrating. They seemed to assume I was a potential customer instead of a satisfied one. I couldn't end the survey when I found it was not applicable and it was longer than promised. I am not sure it was sent out or not.

I just thought of another thing that I've been telling people about. I was so impressed with the clear and upfront notification about how you make money off the transaction. When the last words before I clicked 'send' were that you collect a fee and make a profit on the exchange rate, I was impressed with your honesty and felt even more confident in choosing you. Thanks Xoom. I wish I had reason to send more cash to Europe. I repeatedly told my daughter I was sending more, but she insisted she didn't need it.

Jim

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I use this service to help two friends of mine, now and then, who both live outside the United States. One lives in Escuinapa, Mexico and the other lives in Manila, Philippines. Recently one of my friend's home was nearly destroyed by Hurricane Willa when it hit Escuinapa, Mexico. Xoom made it possible for me to get emergency money to her very quickly to help her.

My other friend who lives in the Philippines recently needed less crucial help. She had just landed a new job and the office staff of the company she works for was holding a Christmas party. She was expected to provide some food and a gift for another employee, but was embarrassed she didn't have the money to provide it. Her job was so new she had not received her first paycheck yet. Xoom helped me to help her save the day by sending her $50 instantly. She had emailed me for help about two hours before the party began, and two hours was just enough time for her to buy the food and the gift. I think it is AMAZING that Xoom could provide such a valuable service that could make such a positive impact upon my friend's life. Thank you Xoom for providing such a great service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Xoom Money Transfer?

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

I went through PayPal to send money abroad, it was relatively easy but Paypal charges a small fee and then Xoom charges a higher rate on the transfer. Be aware of that, I would check other options but I am sure this may be cheaper than your bank doing a transfer, not positive on that.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

After sending a small amount to a friend abroad, I received an email saying that my transaction was pending verification and asking that I call Xoom verification team. The agent I spoke to had a sleepy and monotonous voice, was unintelligible and seemed to be repeating a script. I was asked many ridiculous and unreasonable questions and asked to send a government issued Id. and my bank statement. Too frustrating! I ended up asking to have the transaction cancelled. Right after that, I received another email stating that Xoom had to cancel my transaction due to their policies and requirements!!!! When It was I who cancelled it.

I trust and find Paypal very convenient and helpful. I have trouble believing they are partners. I will never use Xoom again!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

I successfully transferred money with Xoom last week on 2 separate occasions and all went well after some security call backs. One transfer was for 400 Thai baht and the other for 10,000 Thai baht. I tried again today for another 10,000 Thai baht, received an email requesting I call them. I did, was subjected to a great many questions only to be told that my latest transaction would be cancelled as there was a problem with my ID/security answers. They would not elaborate on why. I requested a callback from a supervisor who proceeded to give me nothing in the way of an explanation. Terrible service. Will not waste my time with them again as their systems are clearly inadequate.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

Send money to Santo Domingo with Xoom, pay for it to be given in dollars, not only did it take three days, it was also given in Dominican pesos and much lower than the exchange rate, as a result; I'm claiming with Zoom and they don't solve anything for me since they tell me it's Caribean Express' problem. I did business with Zoom and not with any other identity. The loss is more than $250 pesos and $7 dollars, they are responsible and I will not do more business with them.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

Unbelievable! I began with a transaction to send money to the Philippines at 8:52pm. I received two separate emails, 12 hours apart telling me that the transaction was pending and asking me to call them to verify. Two separate agents on both calls asked a bunch of questions which were irrelevant and none of their business, like what was the money for, did I own a house there, what was the relationship I had with the recipient, etc. The first agent wanted a copy of my driver's license as well, which was sent. All this was under the guise of 'protecting me from fraud'. Had I simply gone to my local WalMart and used Western Union, the money would have been transferred in 10 minutes, instead of wasting 15 hours with Xoom! PayPal is a great service. This one is terrible!

Xoom Money Transfer expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Xoom is a money transfer service that allows customers to send money from the United States to other parts of the world, including Central and South America, Asia, the Philippines and more.

• 24/7 customer support: Consumers with questions or problems can contact customer support by phone and speak with a customer service representative at any time, day or night.

• Referral rewards: Customers who recommend Xoom to a friend who makes a transfer over $400 will receive a $20 Amazon gift card. The new customer will receive a gift card too. There is no cap on the number of referral rewards a customer can receive.

• Bill pay: Any customer with a US-based payment source can pay utility bills in Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama and the Philippines. Fees are listed on Xoom’s website.

• Reload mobile minutes: All customers with a U.S.-based payment source can use Xoom to add minutes to their friends’ or family members’ prepaid mobile phones. Funds are immediately applied to the recipient’s phone, and Xoom will cancel any transaction that was accidentally sent to a contract phone that cannot be reloaded.

• App: Xoom’s app, available for Apple and Android devices, lets customers send money, pay bills or reload another mobile phone directly from their cell phone or other smart device. The app is free.

• Best for: Xoom is best for anyone who has a US bank account and needs to send money or pay bills internationally.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs