2. Finance
  3. Money Transfer
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.45/5

Xoom is an international money transfer service administered by PayPal that works from your phone or computer. You can send money to more than 70 countries and deposit to a recipient’s bank account or arrange cash for pickup or delivery. Xoom also offers international mobile phone reload and bill pay. You can get status updates by text or email. Xoom offers a money-back guarantee if your transfer does not get to the recipient. Customer service is available 24/7.

BOTTOM LINE

Xoom is a simple way to send money abroad from your home computer. It can be pricey to send funds by debit or credit card, but many bank account or PayPal account transfers have no fee or lower fees.

PROS

• Money-back guarantee
  • Deposit, cash pickup or delivery
  • Lower fees for PayPal customers
  • Live customer support

CONS

• Higher fees for credit/debit funding
  • Daily, monthly and six-month limits

Top Xoom Money Transfer Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Xoom Money Transfer?

Just sent money using this service second time… I loved this service. It's fast with very low service fee and hassle free. The first page gives you all information about the conversion rate and how much the receiver will get. ... I am very happy with Xoom, Highly recommended.

Xoom has been my go to service for money transfer to India. It has improved a lot over the years. Initially it used to take a couple of day, then up to 4 hours, and now instantly. This comes in really handy when you have to transfer money at a short notice and urgently. Really happy with service.

What does Xoom do?

Xoom is a money transfer service. Its services are available online from your computer, tablet or smartphone, so you don’t have to visit a money transfer location. You can link multiple accounts and use a bank account, credit card, debit card or PayPal account to fund transfers. Xoom offers three levels of service:

• Level 1 allows bank deposits or cash pickups of up to $2,999 in 24 hours and up to $9,999 in 180 days.
  • Level 2 has a limit of $10,000 in 24 hours for bank deposits and cash pickups and a limit of up to $30,000 in 180 days.
  • Level 3 allows bank deposits up to $50,000 in 24 hours and up to $100,000 in 180 days.

Xoom transfers typically take two to three business days but can be expedited depending on the payment type. Large amounts require additional processing time.

How does Xoom work?

To sign up for Xoom services, you need to provide the recipient’s name. The company may also request additional information, including your:

• Account information
  • Address
  • Phone number
  • Banking info (if you’re making a deposit)
  • Social Security number
  • Passport (or green card/driver’s license)
  • Proof of address (e.g., utility bill)
  • Bank statement
  • Pay stub

Large money transfer amounts require additional verification.

How much does Xoom cost?

Fees for sending money by Xoom vary by amount, payment type, delivery type and country. For example, to send $200 to Mexico costs $2.99 if you use your PayPal or bank account. If you send $200 cash for pickup to a recipient in Mexico, the fee is $3.99 for all payment types.

To send $1,000 to a bank account, the PayPal and bank account fee is $0, while debit or credit card funding will cost $3.99. To send $10,000 to a recipient’s bank account in Mexico by debit or credit card, fees jump to $251.49. But the fee is still $0 if you use PayPal or your bank account.

Xoom FAQ

Is Xoom safe for money transfer?
Xoom is a service of PayPal, a widely trusted company. Transactions are encrypted and your information is not shared. Xoom is a VeriSign-secured site that is federally regulated. If your money does not reach the recipient, Xoom offers a money-back guarantee.
How long does a Xoom transfer take?
Many transfers are available right away — if you have an existing PayPal account, cash pickup could be ready for the recipient in minutes, but your initial Xoom transfer might take two to three additional business days to verify if you don’t use PayPal. Large amounts might require additional processing time, depending on the payment and delivery methods.
How do I receive money from Xoom?
You can receive money by bank deposit, cash pickup or cash delivery (not available in all cases).
What is the limit on Xoom?
The limit on Xoom transfers depends on the country, financial partner, service level and delivery type. The maximum amount you can transfer from the U.S. in one bank deposit transaction is $50,000.
Is Xoom a good way to send money?
Xoom is a convenient way to send money without visiting a bank or money transfer location. Services are available online. Xoom offers a money-back guarantee if the funds do not reach the recipient.
How much does it cost to send money through Xoom?
Xoom fees depend on amount, delivery type, payment type and country. Higher transfer amounts have higher fees. PayPal customers pay $0 in fees on transactions funded with a PayPal account. You can visit the website, plug in your country and the amount you want to send to see the fee.

Is Xoom safe?

Xoom is an international money transfer service administered by PayPal, a trusted company. You can use its encrypted website to send money to over 70 countries. While fees can be high for sending money from your debit or credit card, Xoom does not charge fees for transfer from your PayPal or bank account. If you don’t have time to visit a bank or money transfer location, it's convenient to use Xoom from home. For customers who need to pay bills for their families abroad, Xoom also offers bill pay and mobile phone reloading service.

Xoom Money Transfer Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Xoom Money Transfer?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

I am using Xoom for last 7 years, I am satisfied with the service, It's very convenient to use. It give great transfer rate and option to send quick or get more money with economic mode. I am sending money to India and it cover mostly all major banks in India to transfer money.

Get buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2020

I work regularly with clients in the USA and other American countries and also from countries across the globe. I charge them a fee for the services which we render to them here in India. We generally ask them to pay into our Savings/Checking bank account directly. While international transfers used to take 3-5 business days which was really an irritant in these e-times when everything is supposed to happen at a moments notice, this was one thing which used to take Sooo long. This evening after discussions with a prospective client, I provided him our bank details and Pronto, within minutes I saw that my account was credited with the promised amount. This is amazing. Great job! Xoom, will recommend to all our clients now onwards.

Original review: July 10, 2020

Just sent money using this service second time. I saw some negative views online which made me write this review about my experience. I loved this service. It's fast with very low service fee and hassle free. The first page gives you all information about the conversion rate and how much the receiver will get. I was charged the right amount and the receiver got the right amount too. I am very happy with Xoom, Highly recommended.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

I started using Xoom about 5 years ago and do about 3 transfers (bank to bank) a month since I live part of the time in Colombia. I usually would get my money to my bank in Colombia within 2 or 3 hours. Yesterday (Feb 24) for the first time when I transferred 200 dollars the system said that there was an error and transfer did not go thru. I waited a couple of hours and was going to send another transfer but checked my email and the transfer had gone thru. After 4 or 5 hours I still did not get my money into Colombia. I called them and now they said it would take no later than Mar 1. I checked my bank account in USA this morning and the money had been withdrawn but still the money was not in Colombian bank account. I am very disappointed since I need my money now. Anyone recommend another "transfer company".

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

5 days ago I logged into PayPal to move the money from that account to my checking. My request was rerouted to Xoom. Xoom took $500.00 FROM my checking account, instead of depositing my PayPal funds into my checking account. Over 3 hours after I found out & several bad experiences with Xoom customer service I had a cancellation logged for THEIR mistake,..and told it will take 4-5 more days to move my own money back to my checking account, then another 4-5 to move the monies from PayPal to my checking account & advised to report this to my bank. I did,..My bank classified this as fraud & now it is 45 days before they finish their investigation,..which means they gave Xoom 45 days longer to keep my money.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

I used Xoom to deposit money into my my sister's and my bank account. The money was never deposited. I don't think they even have sent the money let alone be deposited. They don't reply to my emails or pick up my calls. So clearly my money was stolen and there is nothing I can but to write this review to alert others.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

I've tried to get my money from PayPal using Xoom, Friday. Now (Monday evening) my money still on hold, because I needed to upload ID, and now they send a notification that I need to upload some address verification... but I can't as the website always says when I try to upload a bank statement (both in jpg, or pdf format) "unexpected error, try again", and same again and again... Xoom android app gives me different error, but the result is same.

I've been waiting for 15 minutes for customer service to connect to a human, and the Indian woman, through the very low quality line, with her Indian English accent said that they encounter problem, which will be fixed in 1 hour... That was 3 hours ago, still getting the same errors... So Xoom is awfully slow, lots of downtimes.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2021

Terrible company and service. They would not process my international money transfer. I had to call them to verify the transaction and they denied me because they couldn't verify my identity. They wouldn't explain in more detail. Don't use Xoom. Use another money transfer service.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

We used Xoom to transfer from our Wells Fargo account to an Australian Account at Bank of Queensland. We did this monthly for the last 5 months always the same account details and similar amounts of 1000 to 1500 USD. The first two times Xoom did a direct transfer and it took about 2-3 days....a initial intrusive phone call but overall an ok service. Then the last two transfers they changed their transfer partner for BOQ and it was transferred via CITIBANK EUROPE - world pay. Those transactions were super fast 6 and about 24 hours. Then this week Xoom sent their standard emails to say the money was sent, then received then transferred into the Aussie account. But NO it wasn't. 4 phone calls to Xoom Paypal and demands to speak to supervisors gave us two different stories.

First was that the transfer partner could not identify the account and something must have changed... nothing had changed and phone calls to BOQ were made to verify that. Then we were told the transaction was cancelled. spoke with a supervisor who wanted a screenshot of the bank account details so she could verify the money was not deposited. Call #2 to verify the bank account details had been received with comments that none of this was their fault it was all their transfer partners fault. During conversation another sms received to state that the money was successfully transferred.... checked and no it wasn't!!! Then at call # 3... the transaction was not cancelled and had gone ahead.

We received emails and sms to confirm the money transfer had definitely taken place. Call BOQ as the money was not in the account and there were no pending transactions.... so call # 4 resulted in us being told that yes initially the transfer was cancelled, but then transferred, the case was closed and no longer the responsibility of Xoom paypal. So our rather irate conversation with yet another supervisor with lots of discussion about their fraudulent representation that money was deposited.

Further discussion identifying that their transfer partner was Envoy in Australia and their refusal to identify the company's phone number or ABN (Australian Business Number) to us due to "confidentiality issues" and our ensuing threat of legal action resulted in an approximately 12 hour time frame for the return of our money into our account in the USA. This was all very stressful and Xoom initially just wanted to wipe their hands off it. Not good and a big flag not to use them again.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2021

I have sent money to my relative in another country, a developed country. 10 days later the recipient told me they were checking their bank account often but no money was received. Yet Xoom customer service and support keep on lying that the money was sent and delivered 10 days ago. My questions regarding the money sent were not answered by Xoom support. They are ignoring me. The refund request was ignored. Will they keep the money? Frustration and disappointment will lead to a chargeback (forced money reversal by my bank).

I have heard and read that Xoom requests ID and all kinds of documents, codes, numbers, sending email to some strange questionable email addresses such as: ** that make receiving money impossible, but not in my case. They just stated that the money has been delivered to the recipient's bank account. It was not. Deceitful. Dishonest. Lying. Mendacious. Perfidious. Treacherous. Cunning. Shady. Bogus. Sham. Scam. Fraudulent. Fallacious. Scheming. Lying. Cheating. False. Fake.

Xoom Money Transfer Company Information