Xoom Money Transfer

Compare Money Transfer and International Money Transfer Services

A few weeks ago, I was informed by Citi Cards that Xoom a money transfer service that also uses PayPal had initiated a money transfer from my Citi VISA card account. They did the $1.00 credit and debit transaction. This concerned me greatly. I had not initiated any such transaction and am now wary of using PayPal completely.

Hi, I was surprised to see many victims. Since Feb22/2017 am trying to transfer to india to my husband sister, due to medical emergency, support. Every time transation canceled and ask for statements from Bank, we provided, we call them updated to almost all executives, Minava from verification department we talked thrice till today Mar17/201. We used all banks what we have and provide all Bank transaction. Funny part, the money not reached... always still transaction. We used alternate source to send. Saw nice TV ads, thought quick and easy. Pain thought: why would I write, it's my first... I don't want anyone suffer.

I tried to send money to my family in Latin America. They asked I'd verification and bank statements, also asking questions who were the people I was sending to, how often am I going to send money, and what was the purpose of it. Really? Avoid the headaches and avoid them. I had to cancel and went somewhere else.

I have been using Xoom for a very long time for my business - I hire few people in India as consultants. On the day I am supposed to send money to them I try to login but unable to then I try to reset my password - Xoom.com allowed me to do that. But still I was not able to login. Then I call their customer service and they said that my account was closed for non compliance. They are not obliged to tell me the reasons nor did I get any kind of a notification saying that my account will be closed. What kind of a pathetic loser company is this (as you can see that I am mightily pissed off) that just closes the account with any kind of a notification nor justification.

I did a transaction to remit in India from USA on 15th Feb. On the same day the status was changed to Transaction completed successfully on the Xoom site. I checked on the recipient account, but the money was not received. I followed up with recipient bank and they had no clue about this transaction. Then I followed up with Xoom customer care. They were simply delaying the process saying there is some technical problem going on with the recipient bank in India. When I asked to share this in email, they refused. I asked for refund and they denied. This is highly frustrating. The customer care is very bad and dont have any information about the transaction. Looks like they are using this money for their benefit.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Xoom Money Transfer?

I initiated a US$610 transfer to a family member in the Dominican Republic on 02/13/2017 for a medical emergency. The funds were withdrawn from my bank account the same day the transaction was initiated. On 02/14 when neither I or my family member had yet received the text indicating the funds were ready for pick-up I logged in to my Xoom account to check the status of my transaction. The status of the transaction revealed that my wire transfer would not be available for pick up until 02/21/17. A full week after the transaction was initiated.

I called customer service and the agent, after placing me on hold 3 times, tells me that I will receive an email with the options available to me in reference to my transaction. When I asked her why I had to wait for an email instead of her reading from her screen what my options are, she could not answer me. When I asked her why Xoom did NOT inform me during the process of generating the transaction that the funds would take a full week to be made available, she could not answer. The only question that she was able to answer was how long it would take to have the funds reimbursed to my bank account, she said 4-5 days.

So now I have $610 in Xoom limbo. Xoom won't make the funds, which they already withdrew from my account, available for pickup and they won't reimburse the funds back to my account so I can wire them via a reliable money wire service such as Western Union. MORAL OF THE STORY: If you have the need to get funds to a family member internationally for fast and reliable delivery - DO NOT USE XOOM!!

I would give 0 stars if possible. I was alerted that my account needed verification when I tried to send money overseas. However, every time I sent the paperwork for the verification, I never heard back, and therefore had to call the office to check on the status. This happened 3 times, and each time I called they just said they couldn't verify, but weren't able to give me any information why this could not be verified.

By the third time, I was actually very concerned that these people must be scamming me into giving my personal and business information, and I just requested that they cancel the transaction and delete my account so that my information would be destroyed. After speaking with a manager, and relaying my extreme disgust with the service I received, all she could do was say that since my account was deactivated, my information would be securely stored on their server. I do not have any confidence that is the case, and I might look to legal action.

At first Xoom seemed to be a viable and inexpensive solution for transferring money from the USA to Japan, from my attorney to myself. Unfortunately, my father died last year and now I'm to collect a small amount of money from his insurance company, less than US$3000. On January 26, 2017, my attorney sent Xoom money to transfer to my bank account in Japan, which I have still not received as of February 10, 2017. Some nonsense about they do not have the correct Bank account number for my account. This is obviously a lie because certainly my attorney is intelligent enough to fill out their simple form correctly.

As of two days ago, we have both requested a refund from Xoom, but they are still stalling and giving us the runaround as to why they haven't refunded the money yet. Thus my attorney has not received a refund as of today. Furthermore, I just received an email message from Xoom, that was sent to my email address, with the opening greeting to the wrong person, not myself. Obviously they are masters at confusion and stall tactics. To be sure, Xoom is a fraudulent company. DO NOT USE XOOM!!

I think I understand why. They seem to use unsuspecting people's monies to make international currency exchanges for profits at no expense to themselves. In other words, they use our money to make these currency exchanges for free and at no costs to themselves. Then they delay payment to the recipient and/or a refund to the sender, again using our money for free during this lengthy duration. This kind of activity must be stopped!! This is certainly fraud and PayPal should be ashamed for supporting this company and its activities. Let's all of us who have had problems with Xoom file a class action law suit against both Xoom and PayPal! Thank you.

Tried to send $100 dollars to the Philippines which after going through their website and them taking money from my bank account they placed the transaction on hold and after two hours sent me an email requesting me to contact them. During the call to their customer service they asked all my info that I entered already plus what relationship I had with the recipient? How often will I be sending her money? Then wanted me to email them a copy of my bank statement and utility bill. I then canceled the transaction immediately and requested my money and fees to be returned to my bank.

This type of information is unacceptable in my opinion for an amount of only $100 dollars and way over the top in the collection of personal information. I can open a bank account and get a unsecured credit card and even open a business Paypal account and not have to give so much information... I could understand if I was sending thousands of dollars that may go to fund some criminal activities but this was just $100 dollars for valentine's day. I will never use this company's service and am going to Paypal and removing my accounts with them since they are affiliated with xoom.

On 1/3/17, I initiated a 1000. transaction to my Godson in Guatemala. The money was to help him with tuition and books. He never received the money - it was never deposited in his bank. He was able to prove this. Today is 1/23/17 - well over two weeks later. I have made multiple calls and sent multiple emails. Their service reps read off a script, same with reply emails. They claim that their pay partner, UniTeller Banorte, needs up to 30 days to issue a refund or prove the money was received. Huh? This is the 21st century. They have the technology to resolve this quickly. What are they doing with the money I gave them?

Worst customer service I've ever experienced! I'm disgusted. FIVE phone calls from the Philippines and STILL no service. They are exceptionally incompetent. NEVER AGAIN. I will ensure everyone I meet will hear about this. Musk, fire them.

I transferred money to my sister-in-law for Christmas presents. I received an email saying that she received it on December 27th. However, she did not receive it. I called on the 27th December, 30th December, 2nd January and again on the 6th January. All of the time they said they are waiting for Barclays to tell them where the money has gone. My 300 GBP has gone missing. It's now been 2 weeks and the whereabouts of my money is unknown. The response I got from the supervisor was that they are emailing Barclays every day but haven't heard. They do not know when it will be resolved. They have said that this will be resolved within 30 days but this is not acceptable.

I've been using Zoom for 5 years on and they suddenly demanded banking information a year ago which I faxed them with certain information blacked out. No problem there as I'm guessing this was because they were bought by PayPal. I usually do 2 maybe 3 transfers per month at about $700 on average. Today I attempted to do a transfer and was locked out of my account and sent an email telling me that there was unusual activity on my account and to call them. I called and was asked to verify my information which I attempted to do. I was told that none of my information matched what was on file with them including my phone number and my current address. I have been using their service for 5 years. Their customer service people are not easy to deal with and sometimes difficult to understand because of their accents. When it works it's very convenient but god forbid if you need to deal with their customer service.

With Xoom for a while was satisfied with service. Last June, my Uncle was sick so I sent my Auntie some money. The first she got the money, after a week we sent more. She was told the money was claimed at 6 am that morning and they were not even open yet. They complained and asked what branch was the money released and so they went, the signature did not match with the ID and when they said they will involve the police and they know the owner personally, the money was given to them.

2nd instance was I sent money to my sister for Christmas, but unfortunately before she was able to claim the money she got a text message that the money was already taken. They send a text that transaction was complete. So she went to one of the redeeming office and they said that the transaction number is old and the money was already released. She asked in what branch. They would not tell her. She was asked to go to the main office and file a complaint. Finally she called me and asked me to just to put a stop payment for the transaction thru my bank. NOT AGAIN WOULD I USE THEIR SERVICES.

Been sending thru Xoom for the last 3 years or more, to the same person, for whatever reason in the last 2 weeks, I did my usual transactions and they cancel one by one without any reason, when I call they said that the reason was the beneficiary and the bank who was receiving the money was declining the transactions. I contact the bank in Colombia and Pagos Internacionales and they denied that they did that, they didn't even had a record of my transactions.

I tried again all with the same result, long phone calls with Customer service, very UNHELPFUL, spoke with 3 "managers" Carlos **, he told me that they will call me the next day, 24 hours after, no calls. This company is a disaster, make me waste my time and what I can't believe is that PAYPAL is associated with them, Never had a bad experience with PAYPAL but with XOOM... NEVER AGAIN, I have other options and they are more companies reliable that do the same thing that they do. Don't recommend it at all. BAD, BAD, BAD.

Something happened at Xoom and I question if they actually exist anymore. I had a pretty positive experience before, even had the app on my phone. I've called them, emailed them and I get nowhere. They first suspended my account for unknown reasons and asked me to verify my information. Every time I change my password, it never lets me log in. I even tried through Facebook and got nowhere. I'm getting a little concerned about information I have on their servers. I think my experience is the same as many here. Come on, PayPal, you can fix this and know how. It's making PayPal look bad.

2 transactions never went through even though they appeared to. I called twice and spoke to 2 very unhelpful people who I could barely understand. They couldn't give me any information other than my info couldn't be verified. Then I was told my account had been deactivated. This company is retarded.

After two days of attempting to use XOOM to wire money to a friend in Brazil I'm honestly appalled with the process and their customer service. Yesterday I wired my friend $20 USD to Brazil where she lives and banks. This was a test to see how long the process would take before it was deposited into her account, since neither of us were familiar with XOOM. The good news, it took about a day but the exchange rate when I sent the money and the exchange rate of her deposit were different. Thus she received less money in her bank account! When I attempted to speak to XOOM's customer service about the issue, an agent (Jea) was very dismissive towards me. At one point I thought she had hung up on me, because she refuse to engage in the conversation.

Moving forward, I called my friend and told her what had occurred, but I was going process of sending her a lump sum $1300 (she had graciously traveled to the states to visit me and I felt obliged to reimburse her for the airline ticket she had purchased). So I submitted the transaction via XOOM using all the mandated boxes previously used. 20 minutes later I received a phone call from XOOM's verification department wishing to confirm my transaction - ok, no big deal! After all it's an innocent call. The agent begins by telling me that my friend's surname and middle name are incorrect! I told him, "No, its correct!" We go around and around until he finally concedes. Then suddenly the call becomes ominous and nefarious! The agent asked, "why am I sending the money", "what is my relationship with this person," and "how long have I known them?"

WOW!!! This line of questioning I would imagine coming from the US or the Brazilian government and if they thought there were anything surreptitious going on, I'm certain their questions would have been more discreet in obtaining what they would've needed to know? Again let's get perspective on what's going on here. XOOM is a third party "service company," not a Bank, not my Bank or my friend's Bank. Their questions had nothing to do with my security i.e., making sure I had given permission to release funds to an Brazil Bank? Instead XOOM's blatantly wanted to know what was my involvement with my lady friend (a 60 year retiree)? I felt both nauseated and angry; provoking me to cancel my transaction... I can also assure you I will no longer have any future business with XOOM's products or its usages!

So my Xoom account was deactivated or suspended due to inactive reasons and I thought to use it so the system won't let me in and I need to call them. So I called their customer care and they said "oh yes it needs to get verified. We are transferring to Verification department" and I said okay. Now that guy picked up. First he ask me name and address and stuff like that and then he ask me about my last transactions and I said everything correct. Then he said "now we will go through some series of questions." I said okay.

So he ask me my date of birth then my Social security, email address and then he was like "what is the closest hospital near to your house" - well I am an athletic so for me there is no reason to go to hospital and I just move here 6 months ago so how should I know that and top of that I have the best Medical group in US so I can go wherever I want to any hospital and they have to treat me. Now why should I care which hospital is closer?

So I request to pass question and he was like "no sir that's not possible." What a ** type of system. So after 8 question all the questions I answer including my Social Security, Email address how many transactions I did everything just this hospital question went wrong because I don't need to know about it. "No Sir you answer the hospital question wrong so you won't be able to use Xoom." I mean dude are you kidding me? I gave you my whole original Social Security Number. Now if you live in United States you would know how much Social Security is important. So they don't care whether other information is correct or not. You should know about your closest hospital. Looks like I need to leave my job and start working as postman so I can be more familiar with hospitals.

He ask me where you sent money in India, how often you use and everything I answer correct but he stuck on the hospital question which is totally stupid. A guy who holds best medical why the hell he even bother for closest hospital. So they said "now you can't use Xoom." After this a lot frustration. I just told him to cancel my account and delete the details. It doesn't sounds worth to me but I guess Xoom is the second name of Bunch Of Monkeys. I feel like I am insulting Monkeys by naming Xoom as monkeys. Even they are good than this guys. I literally don't want to give this one star and I wish if there could be negative ratings for this. Seriously horrible experience.

Recently I have initiated money transfer to my India account. They have cancelled my transaction without letting me know and not mentioned any reason why they have cancelled. When I called the customer care, they are expecting the bank statement now even after couple of successful transfers I had earlier. Also fed up with customer care like they are transferring the calls to one department to another and lot of explanation I have to give for every person to whom the call got transferred.

If I could give them a minus star I would. I used my PayPal account to log or try to log onto their system and it wouldn't let me. So, I created two accounts but each one got locked out as soon as I tried to send my money from a verified USA bank through PayPal to the Philippines. When I called I got all the standard answers of not being able to disclose why I could not only send money, but they locked my email addresses out of their login system so I could no longer use them. Wow. I can't believe PayPal hooked up with these guys. Wow.

I want to delete my account from Xoom.com but the website won't let me. I do not trust this company anymore as I dealt with them and realized they have no common sense. They might not guard my personal information on their website. On my last attempt to do business with them, they wasted too much of my time. I tried to get in touch with Customer Service and they won't respond nor acknowledge receipt of email.

I am filing a complaint regarding my money transfer that has not made it yet. I have called the customer service several times and also sent few emails but nothing seem to resolve the money transfer for which Zoom has taken out the funds from my bank account but as promised Zoom has not made the deposit to recipient's account. I initiated the transfer on 10/09/16 and today it is 10/15/16 with no answer or communication from Zoom. I am not sure what is happening with my fund transfer. It was intended for someone who desperately needed the money and that is why I selected Zoom for my transfer to help the needy person immediately.

Sorry to say that there is no one at Zoom to provide me with any answer. I am totally shocked by the poor customer service I have received so far. Maybe this can help. Thanks.

Been using Xoom for money transfers for a year until last week when we found a car and needed to move $6000 USD to our Bancomer account. Takes 6 transactions $999. At a time, Xoom said it was the maximum Bancomer would allow. 1 failed, 3 made it to the acct. Still waking after over a week for the other 2. Called multiple times and was told it's Bancomer requiring more information. Sent a picture of my passport, a screenshot of the bank withdrawals in USA. Still getting the robot "we're sorry for the inconvenience". Asked if I went to Bancomer and presented my ID would they release the funds then. Stammering answer, like nobody asks that, was the response. Never use them again period - too risky.

It's been a week and four days and Xoom.com hasn't delivered my money to my recipient. Neither have they giving me my money back yet. They keep saying that they have not heard back from their partners down there, so they can't give the money back or even give me a cancellation number. In the meantime the money was supposed to be for the purchase of a car, and since the money was never deliver the company is now treating to repossessed the car and we are also going to lose another $5,000 dollars that we put towards the car already.

Xoom.com has a very poor customer service, every time I speak to a representative they all sound like robots, repeating the same thing over and over again with no solution to where is my money. Also in the past they never delivered the money until four days later. So it's not true that they do same day or next day delivery. It's always four days or later. But this time it has been too long and all I want is my money back.

I used xoom corp. to transfer money from us to england on the 28th of Sep. 2016. The amount was 900 dollars. They sent me the confirmation. Also sent to tell the money was transferred to the bank acct. In england, 8 days later I was told the money was never transferred. Called xoom. I got some stupid answers then they ask me for the england bank acct. Statement. I sent all that they asked for and nothing happened so I called customer service and the answer was they are going to contact their affiliates. Another day went by and nothing resolved. I called again asking them to return the money to the us acct, or send it to england to a no reply from them.

It's the worst customer service. Really there is no customer service. So far I am out $909.99. Someone has to step in to stop this people and shut them down. I wish I knew that they are a paypal outfit before sending the money. Paypal operations is well known worldwide for scamming people worldwide. Warning do not use Xoom or any paypal affiliates.

Don't send money to Xoom. They charge. Fee is cheap but when Xoom receive US dollars and transfer to Vietnam money, I lost over $200 US. I try to send money to my cousin to Vietnam from my bank account. First they say they need my copy DL, then I told them go head and cancel the transaction. They said they did. But after that they withdraw my account twice. I don't know why they sent twice with same amount of money.

I call my cousin in Vietnam. He said he received money by Vietnam not US dollars. I call Xoom and try to talk to manager. I going to refund whatever they gave to my cousin. Just get it back or gave me. Their bank account in Vietnam, my cousin deposit back to them, they refuse. When my cousin transfer money by Vietnam to US dollars, I lost $200 dollars. I get so mad. I talk all people I know don't use their system. Xoom receive money in $ US but we receive dong in Vietnam. You lost the value of money, like they steal your money. I told them I will never come back to them. I lost $200. Learn my lesson in hard way.

Utterly diabolical how crap this service is and their verification process. They told me they needed more information to verify my identity after I filled out all their forms. So this is what I did. (I was in the UK trying to transfer money to a partner of mine in the UK from my US account whilst I was there as it had a better exchange rate than Chase just doing it normally):

I sent a bank statement with my address on of the account I wish to transfer money from. Had all my details, name, address, acct numbers - even all transactions of past month. I sent my passport. I got a person in the US to verify my identity. I told them who I am sending money to. I told them the relationship of who I am sending money to. I told them the purpose of why I am sending money. I told them the likelihood of me sending money again to them. I have spent 30+ minutes on the phone explaining all of the above which has blocked one "pay as you go phone" and cost 25+ on the other phone. They have seen how much money I have in my bank account (which is in my name) which is more than enough for this transactions. They still canceled it after all of this.

I signed up, thinking this would be an effective way to pay a charity in Pakistan that has produced goods for my organization. First, my account was put on hold, because you cannot use Xoom to send money to charities. Then I changed the recipient to an individual. My account was put on hold. I called to find out why and they asked for a passport and copy of my latest bank statement. Since Xoom is a Paypal company, I thought this was OK. Then I could not log in. Called to find out and basically they said my account was awaiting verification. Talked to verification and they said I could not be verified. Or, when pressed, that they were rejecting me. Then they kept asking "How else they could be of assistance". So I asked them to close my account.

They said it was "inactive!" Why can't they just say closed? In any case, since everything on me checks out, I am in good financial standing, own a home, have all my ducks in a row, what else do they want in a client. This was a total, total waste of time. I now feel better about those high bank fees. I pay for a service and I get it, unlike with Xoom. It's all advertising.

Using Xoom initiated Money Transfer on 09/02/2016 but so far the money not credited in my India Account. Called Xoom. Asked the reason they are doing FBI job in the name of verification. The money was withdrawn by Xoom long back. As per them the transfer might take another 4-5 days and they are not sure about the date of deposit. My sincere advise, please don't use XOOM. After PayPal merging, Xoom lost its pace.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Xoom is a money transfer service that allows customers to send money from the United States to other parts of the world, including Central and South America, Asia, the Philippines and more.

• 24/7 customer support: Consumers with questions or problems can contact customer support by phone and speak with a customer service representative at any time, day or night.
  • Referral rewards: Customers who recommend Xoom to a friend who makes a transfer over $400 will receive a $20 Amazon gift card. The new customer will receive a gift card too. There is no cap on the number of referral rewards a customer can receive.
  • Bill pay: Any customer with a US-based payment source can pay utility bills in Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama and the Philippines. Fees are listed on Xoom’s website.
  • Reload mobile minutes: All customers with a U.S.-based payment source can use Xoom to add minutes to their friends’ or family members’ prepaid mobile phones. Funds are immediately applied to the recipient’s phone, and Xoom will cancel any transaction that was accidentally sent to a contract phone that cannot be reloaded.
  • App: Xoom’s app, available for Apple and Android devices, lets customers send money, pay bills or reload another mobile phone directly from their cell phone or other smart device. The app is free.
  • Best for Xoom is best for anyone who has a US bank account and needs to send money or pay bills internationally.

Compare Money Transfer and International Money Transfer