2. Finance
  3. Money Transfer
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.03/5

A member of the PayPal family, Xoom has partnered with companies around the world to provide its users with safe and affordable money transfer options. Whether you’re looking to reload a phone, send money or pay bills for family and friends, Xoom has fast, easy and secure options for everything. Recipients can take advantage of their convenient global network and receive funds through direct deposit or by hand delivery. Visit their site today to explore all money transfer options!

Xoom Money Transfer Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

I've used Xoom for at least the past 9 years. I've made multiple money transfers to relatives in other countries, as well as put money on their mobile phones (often called a recharge). In all these years, I have never had a problem or a delay. I often use the text messaging service for updates, which helps me know that the money was received without issue. I have tried other services, but nothing can compete with the fair exchange rate and super-fast, reliable service that I have received from Xoom. I highly recommend using Xoom and I often refer others to their service.

Get expert buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

I am a faithful Xoom customer simply put because their customer service, professionalism and efficiency is without rival. They are undoubtedly the best online money transfer service in the market. The transfer is rapid, dependable and secure. The sender is meticulously informed at every step of the transfer from initial processing to availability of funds to receiver to completion of transaction upon collection. This information is faithfully relayed via email or text to the sender.

In addition to the convenience of many points of receipt of transfer available to the receiver, there is also the facility of transfer to receivers' accounts at a variety of local banks. Home delivery is also offered. I also take advantage of another service Xoom offers in adding minutes to receivers' cell phones. I am a faithful customer because their fees are also very reasonable. The convenience, professionalism and excellent service that Xoom provides renders them the very best company for money and cell phone minutes transfer. I recommend them to family friends and anyone looking for an overall 5 star service.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

Hello. I would like to Thank customer service in Spanish speaking for their amazing work. I made a mistake sending money to the wrong account in Mexico Banamex. I spoke to customer service in English many times for like a week & they drag so much asking for a lot of paperwork that I was not able to get (Bank statements from the recipient). They said that without that info I was not going to be able to recover my money right away & I was sending email back & forth. After talking to 2 people John & someone else I dont remember their names. I decided to speak to someone in Spanish. They solved my problem fast & the easiest way possible, they emailed the bank on Wednesday 09/18/19 I believe & by Thursday 09/19/19 I had already an answer that I will receive my money within 5 business days. Thank so much again. You have an amazing staff Customer service Spanish speaking.

Original review: July 23, 2019

Very pleased with this service. I've been using it for over a year now. The funds are being deposited in the destination bank account the same day as they are withdrawn from the source bank, and in some cases the funds are being deposited in the destination bank before they are even withdrawn from the source bank!! With traditional wire from bank to bank the funds are being withdrawn from the original bank, they "disappear" for about a week or so and then they show up at the destination bank. That made me feel very uncomfortable as to what happened with the money.

No fee if the transaction is over $1,000.00 which is super nice. Also, in my case at least, the rates are better than a traditional bank to bank wire transfer, although there is another online service that has slightly better rates than Xoom, but I prefer the security of a PayPal company. The first time that I used it they called me to verify that it was me who was transferring the funds which made me feel more comfortable. I certainly recommend Xoom to other people.

Original review: July 22, 2019

In June, my daughter went to Paris and on the way from the airport had her phone and credit cards stolen. For the next two hours I was in research mode trying to find the best and most reliable way to send cash. The reviews online for traditional methods were very discouraging. Then I stumbled on Xoom. I was very reassured by their connection to PayPal.

There were some issues filling out the online forms but I can't recall if I faulted Xoom for that. Due to my credit card company thinking it was a suspicious charge and my own errors in entering credit card info, I must have filled the forms out from the beginning four or five times. But when I hit send, it was less than two minutes until my daughter had access to $500, at a location four blocks from her hotel. It was a relief. I have since recommended Xoom to all my friends and have told the story many times.

One criticism, probably not of Xoom directly, but a few weeks later I got an email request to complete a survey. My experience had been so positive, I was happy to do it. The questions were not relative to my experience and it was very frustrating. They seemed to assume I was a potential customer instead of a satisfied one. I couldn't end the survey when I found it was not applicable and it was longer than promised. I am not sure it was sent out or not.

I just thought of another thing that I've been telling people about. I was so impressed with the clear and upfront notification about how you make money off the transaction. When the last words before I clicked 'send' were that you collect a fee and make a profit on the exchange rate, I was impressed with your honesty and felt even more confident in choosing you. Thanks Xoom. I wish I had reason to send more cash to Europe. I repeatedly told my daughter I was sending more, but she insisted she didn't need it.

Jim

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Xoom Money Transfer?

Original review: March 19, 2020

I have used Xoom for the past 9 months. I pay my brother in Mexico mortgage payments monthly. I've transferred $8500 to his bank over this time. Recently he made me a great offer if I'd payoff $30k. I sent him $10000. Then came all that verification BS. I sent what they wanted. They said they would make a withdrawal that would be a little less than my transfer to verify my bank account. It took several days to satisfy their personal verification process.

Then one day there was a pending withdrawal of $9999.91. I entered the amount in their verification window. Immediately my account was debited and THE TRANSACTION WAS CANCELED. It took another day to speak with someone who could tell me why. CS said Bancomer had refused the transaction. NOT TRUE, my brother called his branch. Flat lied to me then took a week to return the money to me. CS is terrible about on par with Western Union who's still the worst. Good luck to anyone trying to use this service. KEEP YOUR TRANSFERS TO $1000 OR LESS.

Original review: March 7, 2020

I have been using Xoom for money transfers for years, money has always been receive by my recipients but this time I send money 2x to different people in the Phils. I received an email that both people picked up the money but the truth is they haven’t pick the money yet. How can that be? Now I’m so worried, I called Xoom 3x already and their answer is they are still waiting for their partners to respond. The first 2 people cannot give me a time frame as to when they will resolve this issue. The 3rd person said it will take 24-48hrs for the respond. I’m so worried, has anyone experience this with Xoom?

Original review: March 6, 2020

My sister sent me money 4 days ago from Ireland. I live in Canada. Xoom is just playing around with our money. I needed it urgently. That’s why she thought xoom is quickest service to use but she was wrong. They ask for her and my documents which we sent same day. Still nothing in my bank. Please beware of using them. If my sister will cancel this transaction, it will take 10 days to get money back. They are scammers.

Original review: March 5, 2020

I used Xoom based on recommendation by friend. Initial process of sending was ok. But they won't do anything until they verify you. So I got a call. The rep asked too many personal questions which I felt were unrelated to the transaction. I told them so but went along with it just to get it over with. Then instead of taking 1-2 days it took 7 days to transfer. Also center reps who happen to be in Philippines are extremely annoying. Which has been typical with call centers there. They get too wordy instead of being concise and to the point. My blood pressure goes a few points every time I'm on the phone with them.???

Original review: March 3, 2020

They do not have the capacity to do any money transfers. They lie to customers most of the time. Fraudulent and disrespectful. Money transfers were always successful with Remitly or Remit2India. Xoom is always a failure and fraudulent!

Xoom Money Transfer expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Xoom is a money transfer service that allows customers to send money from the United States to other parts of the world, including Central and South America, Asia, the Philippines and more.

• 24/7 customer support: Consumers with questions or problems can contact customer support by phone and speak with a customer service representative at any time, day or night.

• Referral rewards: Customers who recommend Xoom to a friend who makes a transfer over $400 will receive a $20 Amazon gift card. The new customer will receive a gift card too. There is no cap on the number of referral rewards a customer can receive.

• Bill pay: Any customer with a US-based payment source can pay utility bills in Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama and the Philippines. Fees are listed on Xoom’s website.

• Reload mobile minutes: All customers with a U.S.-based payment source can use Xoom to add minutes to their friends’ or family members’ prepaid mobile phones. Funds are immediately applied to the recipient’s phone, and Xoom will cancel any transaction that was accidentally sent to a contract phone that cannot be reloaded.

• App: Xoom’s app, available for Apple and Android devices, lets customers send money, pay bills or reload another mobile phone directly from their cell phone or other smart device. The app is free.

• Best for: Xoom is best for anyone who has a US bank account and needs to send money or pay bills internationally.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team