3.31/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

A member of the PayPal family, Xoom has partnered with companies around the world to provide its users with safe and affordable money transfer options. Whether you’re looking to reload a phone, send money or pay bills for family and friends, Xoom has fast, easy and secure options for everything. Recipients can take advantage of their convenient global network and receive funds through direct deposit or by hand delivery. Visit their site today to explore all money transfer options!

1052 Xoom Money Transfer Consumer Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: July 23, 2019

Very pleased with this service. I've been using it for over a year now. The funds are being deposited in the destination bank account the same day as they are withdrawn from the source bank, and in some cases the funds are being deposited in the destination bank before they are even withdrawn from the source bank!! With traditional wire from bank to bank the funds are being withdrawn from the original bank, they "disappear" for about a week or so and then they show up at the destination bank. That made me feel very uncomfortable as to what happened with the money.

No fee if the transaction is over $1,000.00 which is super nice. Also, in my case at least, the rates are better than a traditional bank to bank wire transfer, although there is another online service that has slightly better rates than Xoom, but I prefer the security of a PayPal company. The first time that I used it they called me to verify that it was me who was transferring the funds which made me feel more comfortable. I certainly recommend Xoom to other people.

Get expert buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 22, 2019

In June, my daughter went to Paris and on the way from the airport had her phone and credit cards stolen. For the next two hours I was in research mode trying to find the best and most reliable way to send cash. The reviews online for traditional methods were very discouraging. Then I stumbled on Xoom. I was very reassured by their connection to PayPal.

There were some issues filling out the online forms but I can't recall if I faulted Xoom for that. Due to my credit card company thinking it was a suspicious charge and my own errors in entering credit card info, I must have filled the forms out from the beginning four or five times. But when I hit send, it was less than two minutes until my daughter had access to $500, at a location four blocks from her hotel. It was a relief. I have since recommended Xoom to all my friends and have told the story many times.

One criticism, probably not of Xoom directly, but a few weeks later I got an email request to complete a survey. My experience had been so positive, I was happy to do it. The questions were not relative to my experience and it was very frustrating. They seemed to assume I was a potential customer instead of a satisfied one. I couldn't end the survey when I found it was not applicable and it was longer than promised. I am not sure it was sent out or not.

I just thought of another thing that I've been telling people about. I was so impressed with the clear and upfront notification about how you make money off the transaction. When the last words before I clicked 'send' were that you collect a fee and make a profit on the exchange rate, I was impressed with your honesty and felt even more confident in choosing you. Thanks Xoom. I wish I had reason to send more cash to Europe. I repeatedly told my daughter I was sending more, but she insisted she didn't need it.

Jim

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I've tried Western Union. It was okay I thought. Until a problem came up. I called their number and spoke to a representative. Explained my problem. And was directed to another department. That was when I found out that there is no live person there. Only answering machine. After numerous attempts to contact a live person was unsuccessful. I gave up. Also the representative was not so helpful. Not rude. But not helpful. So I found out about Xoom. And after learning that it is a Pay Pal Service. I gave it a try. And have been very satisfied ever since. Also the convenience of being able to do all my transactions on my own computer in the privacy of my home. At any time I need to do a transfer. Excellently well developed service system. I have had no issues where I needed to contact a representative. So I cannot comment to that part. So far so good. 5 stars for Xoom.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I was able to send a quick amount to wish my sis happy birthday... who does not like quick cash :). She got to see the transaction come through while we were talking. She was thrilled!! On another transaction... I was also impressed when a transaction was declined and cancelled automatically when it was a business account, I had no idea that this person's account was a business account.

I called your agent. She tried to help and facilitated the transaction the third time and you still declined it... so even though the CSR explained but she made me feel that an exception could work and it did not... but I still think your experience is great so you still get 5 stars... Next time I won't waste my breath calling you all when I see the status clearly explained on the app! Zelle and Venmo are eating your lunch in domestic market but international transfer you rock!! Thank you!! Good work!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I use this service to help two friends of mine, now and then, who both live outside the United States. One lives in Escuinapa, Mexico and the other lives in Manila, Philippines. Recently one of my friend's home was nearly destroyed by Hurricane Willa when it hit Escuinapa, Mexico. Xoom made it possible for me to get emergency money to her very quickly to help her.

My other friend who lives in the Philippines recently needed less crucial help. She had just landed a new job and the office staff of the company she works for was holding a Christmas party. She was expected to provide some food and a gift for another employee, but was embarrassed she didn't have the money to provide it. Her job was so new she had not received her first paycheck yet. Xoom helped me to help her save the day by sending her $50 instantly. She had emailed me for help about two hours before the party began, and two hours was just enough time for her to buy the food and the gift. I think it is AMAZING that Xoom could provide such a valuable service that could make such a positive impact upon my friend's life. Thank you Xoom for providing such a great service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Xoom Money Transfer?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

It took me 2 days to get every required paper verified by Xoom, But when I tried sending the transaction, it got declined. I called Xoom but they didn't give me any reason. 4 days later, I tried again and about 10 mins later received an email that it's got declined again. This time when I called Xoom, they said, "There's a restriction applied on your account" but when I asked what sort of restriction even after providing all the paperwork, the lady declined to answer. I asked why the system doesn't block me from doing the transaction if it's restricted and what's the fun of providing you all the confidential info and having the account which doesn't work, she said 'If you would like, I can close the account'. How RUDE!!!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

Please don't use the Xoom for God sake - one of the worst experience and worst service I have seen. I had transferred the money from U.S to Canada on Friday. Now it's Tuesday the recipient didn't receive the money yet. If I send the money through FEDEX they will receive to Canada with in 2 days.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

Used Xoom. Though it looks like a big name, PayPal is the owner, the service is crappy when you have problems. My funds never made it to my Indian bank account. And the customer care executive just shrugs saying, "We already transferred it." Really bad experience. It is been more than a week and I am still trying to figure to get them to chase my transaction.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

Xoom is a crappy service. On 3 transactions, I had to cancel 2 which is 66% failure. Their security department asks for information about my personal life, which is unacceptable. They are not efficient.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

I needed to transfer 2K Euro from Canada to Germany. Did some research, found Xoom's website user friendly and pricing competitive (but not the cheapest). Went with them thinking that as a subsidiary of PayPal they are as efficient and retail guy friendly. Opening online account: started fast and easy, clear interface. Their quote on the amount went up quite a few bucks after I spent a typing effort on all the accounts details to initiate an actual transaction. I thought OK, not worth retyping all the info with a competitor for saving a few bucks.

One worrying thing during the transaction initiation was their request to provide MY ACTUAL BANKING LOGIN INFORMATION AND PASSWORD. Xoom website does not make this mandatory but clearly pushes the customer to do it saying that not providing this information will slow down the processing time. Privacy is important to me so I declined this.

In the evening I got an email from their compliance department requesting to supply copies of certain documents -- this is not unusual in e-payments industry I am familiar with (regulatory KYC, AML requirements). In the morning I scanned and sent the documents. Soon got another email requesting the documents. Called the call centre to find out what is going on. Spent 20 minutes explaining to a rep, most probably a huge outsourcing company in India given the English spoken. Very noisy call center at the background. After that the rep said all good, I am cleared to transact. Email with same content followed. In 30 minutes I get a phone call to my mobile asking me to provide additional identification details and confirm the transaction. Phone call is from an unknown to me 800 number from a guy with thick Indian accent. I thought it was a fraudster but was able to validate the phone number.

I tried to understand what is the point of the call as I received a full clearance less than an hour ago. His answer: this clearance was from the compliance department, but I calling from the verification department to verify the transaction. I did not understand why and he could not explain. He also demanded additional information like another phone number and also "who is the guy you are sending the money to". This went for another 15 minutes on top of the time I spent on this "online" business already. I refused to provide additional information, cancelled the transaction and closed the account. In comparison, in the afternoon I went to my bank (they do not provide online wire service to Europe). I was done in 10 minutes, the teller did all the typing in German and I paid 15 dollars fee and got a better exchange rate. Compare and make your call whether you want to deal with Xoom.

Xoom Money Transfer expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Xoom is a money transfer service that allows customers to send money from the United States to other parts of the world, including Central and South America, Asia, the Philippines and more.

• 24/7 customer support: Consumers with questions or problems can contact customer support by phone and speak with a customer service representative at any time, day or night.

• Referral rewards: Customers who recommend Xoom to a friend who makes a transfer over $400 will receive a $20 Amazon gift card. The new customer will receive a gift card too. There is no cap on the number of referral rewards a customer can receive.

• Bill pay: Any customer with a US-based payment source can pay utility bills in Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama and the Philippines. Fees are listed on Xoom’s website.

• Reload mobile minutes: All customers with a U.S.-based payment source can use Xoom to add minutes to their friends’ or family members’ prepaid mobile phones. Funds are immediately applied to the recipient’s phone, and Xoom will cancel any transaction that was accidentally sent to a contract phone that cannot be reloaded.

• App: Xoom’s app, available for Apple and Android devices, lets customers send money, pay bills or reload another mobile phone directly from their cell phone or other smart device. The app is free.

• Best for: Xoom is best for anyone who has a US bank account and needs to send money or pay bills internationally.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs