1.28/5
Based on 72 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 23, 2018

316 Xoom Money Transfer Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 23, 2018

I don't usually do review but Xoom is worst amount anything I have done in my 40 years. They are pathetic service, very poor customer service and they won't resolve any of your issues. I would urge you to never use Xoom in your life. NEVER USE XOOM, ABSOLUTELY WORST SERVICE.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I transferred money through XOOM Money Service owned by PAYPAL. They do commit wire fraud by holding your money hostage. XOOM Based out of California is a fraud to begin with. They read script to calm customer and would not resolve by putting money back in your U.S Banks Institution where they take your money to transfer to another bank overseas. They are lazy, unprofessional and their pathetic customer service is in Philippines. Do not use this money transfer. This is coming from a law enforcement employee in DFW Area DALLAS, TEXAS. Please Don't get your money stuck in their money transfer. Not a Reliable money transfer. XOOM is pretty DOOMED when comes to getting your hard earned money returned. I wasted three days and four hours on the phone from corporate to customer service, all reading same script and not doing a damn thing to resolve.

Get expert buying tips about Money Transfer and International Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Horrible experience with Xoom. I made a transaction last week and while the questions were odd, they completed my transaction. The last question asked was whether I planned to use the service again. I said I anticipated using it a couple of more times and probably weekly for the next few weeks. I tried to use it again today (a week later) and the person was very suspicious of my answers and wanted to know, how I knew this person, had I met him, why was I sending him money and wouldn't approve the transaction even after I repeatedly answered all the questions including the one about when I'd be using Xoom in the future.

She first wanted an exact date and transaction amount for future use and said I wasn't sure but probably in the next week and for around a certain amount. I asked for the supervisor who gave me the run around and then said she couldn't approve until she saw further documentation even though I only wanted to send less than $500. At this point I became very uncomfortable since one website said Xoom only requires documentation for much larger transactions than what I was making. The customer service was extremely primitive and unprofessional as well as frustrating and time consuming. I felt like they thought I should be lucky they are providing this service to me. DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE!!!

Original review: May 5, 2018

Xoom team and communication between their departments does not happen. I'm not able to login to site and it's pushing to change password all times. After multiple times password reset still it's not letting me login. Please keep using different remittance service providers and STAY AWAY from XOOM.

Original review: May 4, 2018

STAY AWAY. STAY AWAY. STAY AWAY. Absolutely ridiculous experience. Flaky website. Horrid service. Worthless in every sense, "of no value". READ THE OTHER COMMENTS, IT'S ALL VERY ACCURATE. Incompetence of the company, the website and the idiot clones of the Filipino customer service, if you can call it service, will lead you to drink. After an hour of dealing with this nonsense, the only accomplishments were a hold on my money, a cancelled transaction and a strong fervor to fly to the Philippines and ** their building. Instead of attempting to use this service, you would be better off in the long run just throwing your money out the window and repeatedly beating your head against a wall. Thieving, incompetent clowns.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Xoom Money Transfer?

Original review: April 25, 2018

On my first transaction attempt I was repeatedly asked for more personal information, IDs, Bank statements, Passport etc. and still my transaction was canceled. I could never get ANY explanation as to what the problem was, just given a runaround and WASTING my time. Afterwards I found there was an error in the street address of the recipient and tried a second transaction, it was immediately canceled. When I contacted them about it I was assured that it was not canceled. It was just being reviewed by the verification department. So I waited a couple MORE DAYS. It still showed as canceled so I called again and again. After having my time WASTED was eventually told they would not tell me anything except that the transaction was canceled and any further transactions I tried to make would also be canceled. I informed them I intended on BAD MOUTHING this company for the rest of my LIFE and I intend to do so ACTIVELY!!!

Original review: April 18, 2018

All is well, UNLESS you have a problem. Then you end up in Manila call center HELL. GOOD LUCK! Seriously, 10 different stories from 10 different people. Then you just wait, and wait, and wait. I spent about 10 hours or more on the phone trying to correct an issue they assured me could be resolved... for over a month. Please don’t support this business model. Western Union is probably better.

Original review: April 17, 2018

After so many recommendations of my friends, I have created XOOM money transfer account. On my first transaction error appears that transaction canceled, after 23 mins of customer service they transfer my call to VERIFICATION DEPT. and after taking my details they were asking my SSN, ID, and bank statements which they are not supposed to ask and even don't require, my friend is using this service since a long time. When I asked him he said he never been asked this kind of documentation. DO NOT USE XOOM, pathetic and discriminating service provides. I would give 0 star.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I sent money through Xoom to Dominican Republic, the transfer was made on March 15th, the transfer still two weeks later had not been completed when I called, their supposed compliance department has no type of formal training. It looks like because when I call in two weeks later is when they politely informed me that my transfer was delayed because they need some further documentation, annoyed and needing to complete the transaction I sent the information requested. They stated I would be called if anything else was needed.

On April 3, 19 days later I call back because my receiving bank informs me that the transaction was not received. The representatives had me about 3 hours on hold. No one knew or had any concrete idea as to what was going on with my money. Then I was told that an email was sent out requesting another form of ID because my ID was going to expire, not that it was expired that is was going to expire, I sent in my renewed temporary ID and was told that it was not valid, which is still baffling because in it is considered valid in all 50 states in the US and it is a government ID. I am still working to either receive my money to my bank account where it was initially taken out from or to my receiving bank.

This is ridiculous how Xoom has played with my money, and when you want to call to make complaint about the poor service customer service transfers you and no one is able to do anything. It's unbelievable, if this situation is not resolved soon and someone puts some urgency on my case, my next step is contacting a lawyer and never again using Xoom as a money transfer service or anything else in that matter. I have been a loyal customer for a bit now and have even pay for my bills in Dominican Republic through Xoom but with this issue and their lack of professional courtesy and actual customer service, I do not think I will be using them any further business and would not recommend them to anyone else that has to send money overseas.

Original review: April 1, 2018

This is where credit card thieves go to launder their money. Someone took a picture of my card and used it here for $106.99 to transfer money out of country to Peru. Xoom does not take it seriously and said they were unwilling to launch an investigation or send me a report. There were also no transaction numbers in my credit card statement, which made this very hard to resolve.

Original review: March 29, 2018

EVERYTHING you read here from others is correct, true. XOOM is just the worst experience; IT DOES NOT WORK, and I provided everything it asked for and they (Philippine call center) keep coming back with the same need for the SAME verification and they ask the same questions over and over such as "How will the recipient use the money you are sending?" What kind of question is that?

Additionally, it sent me an email confirming that its verification process for me, my new account, was complete and approved and I could start making transfers. I was cautious enough to try only $150 as a test run, and all of this was over $150!!! Dealing with XOOM is sort of mind boggling. I don't think it will be in business long if it will not process and send $150 without the same questions over and over and over and over AFTER YOU HAVE BEEN APPROVED! Want to waste your time and give your personal data to a company that who knows what will be done with it? Use XOOM.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Wow, what a complete disappointment. I tried to transfer approximately USD$1,500 to The United Kingdom. They held my transaction pending verification. To verify, you have to call them, then you are put on hold and finally connected to a script driven call center in the Philippines. They interrogate you about who (Do you really know this person), why (why are you sending them money) and when (are you going to send more money in the future). Then they put another hold on the transaction requiring that I send them -- via e-mail -- a complete copy of my US Passport and a copy of my most recent Bank Statement to verify that I had sufficient funds to send $1,500.

I tried to "understand" their concern, especially as my transfer was coming directly out of my Bank A/C. If I did not have sufficient funds, the transaction would not process anyway. After I faxed them the required information they then asked for a complete copy of all pages of my passport and the actual bank statement I receive--I gave them a screenshot which was apparently not good enough. In the end it was easier for me to make a Bank Wire Transfer--although more costly--than to try and deal with the Xoom personnel. Just a waste of time effort and energy. They treat you as if you are some sort of criminal. They have no sense of customer care. I would never, ever, use them again. Even Western Union is better.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I’ve made a huge mistake trusting Xoom to transfer my money. It has been over 10 days already and my $5000 is on hold... I feel so helpless and frustrated. I provided all information they asked and now they are asking this information again and again... And to add insult to injury they only provide any update to the sender and not the receiver so there is no way a receiver can track. Sub-optimal service. This was my first and my last time I used Xoom for transferring money.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I’ve made a huge mistake trusting Xoom to transfer my money to my family. It has been 3 weeks already and my $6000 is on hold... I’m so desperate and frustrated. I provided all information they asked and now they are asking this information again and again... Xoom is absolute scam! I hope at least I will get my money back. They don’t deserve to exist and use PayPal’s reputation.

Original review: March 15, 2018

The worst customer service. I have been using Xoom to send money to my parents in India. My parents gets money the next day but this time when I send the money so it was delayed so I called customer service and they said they will send email to their partner company in India to find out what happen. I called every day for 3 days but same answer. I would not recommend any to use Xoom because they will not answer and every time they will say sorry.

Original review: March 9, 2018

Really crappy service, even worst customer service, make me waste my time for days with automated responses asking for IDs, bank statements, calls to their customer lines really bad service. STAY AWAY FROM THEM.

Original review: March 7, 2018

They lack in customer service. They asked me to verify my account and ask for some documents I send them and they send me an email to call customer service, I call them and the guy is so rude and referres to email back I do the. I get an email to call back, I call again and the supervisor was so rude started to cut me off etc, I asked for a corporate email or phone then she said they did not have a service like so, so they just told me I was banned from the service for internal purposes that she couldn’t disclose about my personal information. So ** annoyed. The worst.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I have made a number of transfer with Xoom. It was a bit tedious but workable. But recently transfers were canceled each time I was trying for a new recipient - and since I was trying to pay for small eBay purchases from Europe, that meant every single time. To get the transfer going I had to call in to talk to clueless staff working off bad scripts ("May I asked you some intrusive questions?") and no help either when transferred to a supervisor. Fortunately this let me to find a different service (TransferWise) that does the same thing, twice as fast, no hassle, for in my case $0.05 fee instead of Xoom's $4.99. Good riddance.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I used this service twice to send $ to Germany for my son. The third time they said I needed to verify the transaction. I called the center twice, both times speaking to overseas customer service with bad English, who wanted all of my private information. At first I gave my address, recipients name, e-mail, etc. Then they wanted to know how many times I would be sending money. I said, "I don't know - what does that have to do with anything?" How the hell do I know if my son will need money again. Then they kept asking me why I was sending my son money. What the hell? He's my son. I kept telling them that - that he lived in Berlin and was short on cash (he always pays me back). That wasn't good enough for them.

I told him I loved him so I sent him money - LOL - good grief. They would not accept that answer, and then wanted even more personal information. Not a chance in hell they are getting my bank statement. Shame on PayPal for pushing this service, when I didn't want to use it in the first place. I understand making sure people are not scammers or thieves, but they pulled my information from PayPal and my bank account numbers, and I have been a daily user of PayPal - verified - for 20 years. This seem not legitimate to me, and I told them to cancel it, and I won't be using Xoom again. Who knows who is stealing my information in the Philippines or wherever.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

I have used Xoom for years, but lately it seems, the so called verification process is just a scam by the employee's in the call center in QC, Manila to get your info. After trying for 3 days to send money from my US bank to my Philippine bank, I told them just stuff it. You do a transaction online, it says completing, then you get a notice of cancelation, call **. Well their English skills are very poor. They want all kinds of info, and the straw that broke my back was wanting 3 months of my US bank statement. No. No. No, a thousand times no. The fools in San Jose better get control of the people in Manila at their so called verification center. Everything must be verified, and yet it all gets cancelled. I am lucky, I live close to the call center and am planning a visit. And it will not be pretty.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I was trying to transfer some USD to my INR account. They rejected the transaction for verification purpose. I called them up, they asked bunch of questions, told me they'll call back on my mobile. They did, and then asked for copy of a government issued ID, and my most recent Bank Statement! Okay, gave them that. Then, called them again next day. Again, asked same bunch of questions (name, email address, mailing address etc.), then again told me they'll call back on my no. On calling back, this time they said they need additional documents for verification: my mobile phone bill. At this point, I gave up. I am done with Xoom. They have already asked for so many documents and it's still not enough! I don't know why their verification process is so complicated and intrusive.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

This is the worst company ever, bad experience. I sent money to Argentina for an emergency. They delay 1 to 4 days “business days” for no reason. When they advertised money instantly, big scam. Avoid it.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

The first time I am using this service and already it is a fail. I called the number as requested and the rep, whose English I could not understand, asked for the phone number on the account. As I was looking directly at the phone number on the account on my computer, my phone number, the number I called from, I read it to the rep. He said it did not match what was on the account. If they can't get a phone number correct how can I trust them with my money. I tried a second transfer and it was canceled without explanation. I contacted customer service and was told I was assigned a case number. WTF. This is way too complex for an online transfer. PayPal used to be so easy and safe to use. If I were PayPal I would run away from Xoom as fast I can. I guess I will just use a different service. It's too bad because I have used PayPal for many many years and have liked them.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

Logged on Xoom and transferred Money to India. Money never reached. Called Xoom And they said the reason it was cancelled Is because they could not verify because I did not answer their email. I have checked my email, trash And spam - never got one! Then they verified on the phone and said I have to do the transaction again! Then later called again and asked to send bank statement and driver's license to them before we do the transaction! Had Enough with them! Will not use again! Goodbye Xoom!!!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I have been able to transfer money to a relative 2 times instantly with no problem using Xoom. The third time it took 4 hours to go through. The 4th time happened to be the next day and it says there is a delay and will take 1 to 4 business days! On their website as of 2014 they claim to have instant transfers 365 days a year even on holidays to ICICI banks. Yet for the past 2 days I have had experiences quite the opposite of their claims. Also just for clarity sake the amounts of the transfers were not unreasonable, the first being $100 and the second being $200.

For a service that claims to allow up to $10,000 at a time, they shouldn't make send a few hundred when needed so difficult. Also this bank account is the same account that I have always used and my Xoom account is the same as my PayPal account which has a long history with this bank account. Xoom should review their policies and not give their longtime customers reasons to use other services. Also don't bother contacting customer service. Just as you can expect from their parent company PayPal, their customer service is absolutely terrible and not helpful what so ever.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I made a Xoom transfer transaction a week ago. They notified in a email saying incorrect recipient details. Years ago I used their service sent to same recipient having same details and they processed. When I called customer service they ask all details about reconfirm recipient details. From a week onwards they kept transfer status in process. When called customer service they simply put on hold and say unrelated things like technical issues and other crap. They don't notify customer either in email or text message about status of transaction.

Xoom mention quick transfer and it was one week I requested their service on the day one of transaction they deducted the amount from my bank account and kept status in process. Very disappointed. I requested cancel and refund and they saying will do manual refund and it take 1-4 business days. Guys be careful with Xoom. Customer service is very low and as promise they don't transfer quick. There are better transfer providers other than them.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

Have used Xoom.com to send money for years now and here lately have been having problems with my transactions. Last year they cancelled my transaction without so much as telling me they did; my niece had to go back how many times to check it and the last night they had to verify my account and took them a long time to verify only to say my transaction is denied when just last week I made a transaction with the same account with no problems. Don’t know what’s going on with your organization but you need to fix it quick because you are losing your customers.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I have use Xoom many times without any issues. I sent money yesterday, I received an email stating the funds were available for pick up, but I did not receive text messages like I usually do. My family member tried several times to pick up the money and the money was not available. I called customer service and they could not tell me when the money would be available for pick up. I was on hold for a long time as well. I just had to cancel my transaction.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I been customer with Xoom few years from now. Recent months Xoom has problem with transfer speed. Sometime they held the money up to 4 days. I'm not happy with the service recently, 50% chance late delivery.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

Several places shown available to pay out a transfer in Ajijic, Mexico are not associated with Xoom, despite their advertising. After three trips and an hour + of my time, finally a supervisor assured me that Walmart Ajijic is no longer connected with Xoom and even with a passport (reason for my second trip, although Xoom states this is not required for payout) they can't cash it. The only nearby location is almost an hour away and if I could just have my $200 returned to my bank, I'd be EVER so grateful!!! This company should be shut down as an international currency transfer business.

Xoom Money Transfer expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Xoom is a money transfer service that allows customers to send money from the United States to other parts of the world, including Central and South America, Asia, the Philippines and more.

• 24/7 customer support: Consumers with questions or problems can contact customer support by phone and speak with a customer service representative at any time, day or night.

• Referral rewards: Customers who recommend Xoom to a friend who makes a transfer over $400 will receive a $20 Amazon gift card. The new customer will receive a gift card too. There is no cap on the number of referral rewards a customer can receive.

• Bill pay: Any customer with a US-based payment source can pay utility bills in Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama and the Philippines. Fees are listed on Xoom’s website.

• Reload mobile minutes: All customers with a U.S.-based payment source can use Xoom to add minutes to their friends’ or family members’ prepaid mobile phones. Funds are immediately applied to the recipient’s phone, and Xoom will cancel any transaction that was accidentally sent to a contract phone that cannot be reloaded.

• App: Xoom’s app, available for Apple and Android devices, lets customers send money, pay bills or reload another mobile phone directly from their cell phone or other smart device. The app is free.

• Best for: Xoom is best for anyone who has a US bank account and needs to send money or pay bills internationally.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs