3.48/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

A member of the PayPal family, Xoom has partnered with companies around the world to provide its users with safe and affordable money transfer options. Whether you’re looking to reload a phone, send money or pay bills for family and friends, Xoom has fast, easy and secure options for everything. Recipients can take advantage of their convenient global network and receive funds through direct deposit or by hand delivery. Visit their site today to explore all money transfer options!

921 Xoom Money Transfer Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I've tried Western Union. It was okay I thought. Until a problem came up. I called their number and spoke to a representative. Explained my problem. And was directed to another department. That was when I found out that there is no live person there. Only answering machine. After numerous attempts to contact a live person was unsuccessful. I gave up. Also the representative was not so helpful. Not rude. But not helpful. So I found out about Xoom. And after learning that it is a Pay Pal Service. I gave it a try. And have been very satisfied ever since. Also the convenience of being able to do all my transactions on my own computer in the privacy of my home. At any time I need to do a transfer. Excellently well developed service system. I have had no issues where I needed to contact a representative. So I cannot comment to that part. So far so good. 5 stars for Xoom.

Get expert buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I was able to send a quick amount to wish my sis happy birthday... who does not like quick cash :). She got to see the transaction come through while we were talking. She was thrilled!! On another transaction... I was also impressed when a transaction was declined and cancelled automatically when it was a business account, I had no idea that this person's account was a business account.

I called your agent. She tried to help and facilitated the transaction the third time and you still declined it... so even though the CSR explained but she made me feel that an exception could work and it did not... but I still think your experience is great so you still get 5 stars... Next time I won't waste my breath calling you all when I see the status clearly explained on the app! Zelle and Venmo are eating your lunch in domestic market but international transfer you rock!! Thank you!! Good work!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I use this service to help two friends of mine, now and then, who both live outside the United States. One lives in Escuinapa, Mexico and the other lives in Manila, Philippines. Recently one of my friend's home was nearly destroyed by Hurricane Willa when it hit Escuinapa, Mexico. Xoom made it possible for me to get emergency money to her very quickly to help her.

My other friend who lives in the Philippines recently needed less crucial help. She had just landed a new job and the office staff of the company she works for was holding a Christmas party. She was expected to provide some food and a gift for another employee, but was embarrassed she didn't have the money to provide it. Her job was so new she had not received her first paycheck yet. Xoom helped me to help her save the day by sending her $50 instantly. She had emailed me for help about two hours before the party began, and two hours was just enough time for her to buy the food and the gift. I think it is AMAZING that Xoom could provide such a valuable service that could make such a positive impact upon my friend's life. Thank you Xoom for providing such a great service.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

The charge of $7.99 for each transfer is a little on the high side. I feel that it could be lower with as many people that use the service. You certainly could lower the transfer fee. The other thing is the new rule that the amount you are able to transfer has to be an even amount like $200.00, cannot be like $225.00 which makes it very difficult to do because sometimes all you have to transfer is amounts like 150.00 or 125.00 but you have to increase the amount even though you don't have the additional amount or need to make it more. That rule is very difficult to abide by so please go back to the old way of being able to transfer any amount. Otherwise your services are good.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I have been using Xoom for years for transfers to the Philippines. I have never had a problem that I didn't create and for those I did, the staff always helped get it straight very quickly. I did have one issue that had to do with increased limits. I had been approved for higher limits for a few years, then all of a sudden I was back down to the lower limits. It took a number of emails, but ultimately my limits were reinstated without having to do all the verifications. That I can overlook, as it was taken care of. I just can't beat money being available for pickup within 30 seconds after sending it. And the price could only be considered expensive when sending small sums of money but once above say $100.00 it becomes inexpensive.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Xoom Money Transfer?

Original review: May 20, 2019

I just tried transferring $500 from the U.S. to Colombia, and it was a total disaster. They advertise it as an easy process, but it's totally the opposite. I got an email saying I had to call to verify my information, so I did and the person I was speaking with was very rude and speaking so fast that I couldn't understand most of it. I asked him to slow down and I could hear him complaining about it and kept speaking even faster, so I decided to hang up and call back. Second time I called, although they made me wait in line quite long, I thought I was getting somewhere; they asked me to send them a picture of my ID for proof of verification. I did that and called back to see what was happening, and then they had me waiting in line over 10 minutes to tell me they couldn't verify anything, and she did not know why.

So I ask the lady why they advertise it as an easy process if it's such a hassle, and her answer was "sir you can cancel the transaction and try a different company".... really? Is that the customer service Xoom has? Or maybe she was just having a bad day. Anyways, I ask her to transfer me to her supervisor. I waited in line for another 10 min. When I spoke to him he made me wait in line three times telling me they were in the process of verifying my information, and then he said they would email me sometime during the day to let me know if my information had been verified, still unsure if the transaction could be made. That's when I lost it and told him to cancel the whole thing, and all he could say was, "ok it has been cancelled, have a great day." Does he honestly think I will have a great day after I lost about an hour and a half on the phone for nothing? At least apologize for not being able to help me. Xoom, you suck!

Original review: May 20, 2019

I tried to send a smaller amount and it worked just fine. A couple days later I tried to send $1100 and then the problems started. They called me and asked a ton of personal question made me wait for a day aaaand canceled the transaction and CLOSED my account. I tried to learn why and no definitive answer at all. To a message to Xoom people if they ever read this. Please let us know why you are closing our accounts.

Original review: May 18, 2019

Used Xoom for years, sent money in April, hit my bank account in Brazil the next day. Sent money again 16 May, and still nothing on the 18th of May, called twice to see what the issues was for a delay? First person did not speak hardly any English, second person said they would draft my account May 21!!!! WTF! Over! Cancelled the transaction, but they said they would draft the funds and then return? Never use these folks again, stay away; nothing but stress and stupidity.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I called them couple of times, customer representative has no idea what they talking about. Just saying sorry sorry sorry. I think they are doing outsourcing and that is main problem. I missed to tell them house direction i-e: NW, SW, EE. She was struck on it. Because I didn't tell her house direction, she can't verify my account. Really? What about DOB, account code... I gave them... but no. And the rate they are giving is not updating. I am getting same rate which was last month. How it could possible? Just had bad experience. Worst than Western Union people.

Original review: May 15, 2019

My cousin’s FB account was hacked and the fraudster asked me for $3200. I’ve never sent any Xoom transaction for over $500 especially overseas (Philippines). I heard about how they have a verification system for any unusual activity on the account however, the fraudulent recipient was able to pick up the $3200 within minutes. I complained and filed an affidavit of unauthorized charge as soon as I found it within a 2hr period that it was fraud. Xoom have me the runaround and promised to “investigate” but to this day I never heard back. Stay as far away as possible. I’d only use PayPal because although they have acquired Xoom, PayPal will not step in because they’re still working on some kinks with this newly acquired company. Stay away from Xoom!!! You’ve been warned!

Original review: May 13, 2019

I'm so frustrated with this money transfer. I send money to Nigeria and the first transaction it took weeks before my recipients receive the money. And for the second time I send again I thought it will gonna be fast because they already verified me and I'm going to send to the same person. But when I send it, after 24 hours they cancelled the transaction because they said in the email that they couldn't verify me.. This money transfer were so poor. And customer service were so bad. If there are lesser value than one star that is the rating I'm going to give them.

Original review: May 11, 2019

A couple of months ago I tried to wire $200 to Bulgaria for my partner's sisters birthday. The transaction was unilaterally cancelled by Xoom with little explanation. In addition, my account was closed as if I had done something illegal. Calling customer service in the Philippines was followed by numerous hand-offs and repeats of my customer information. I was never given a good reason for their treatment. I received emails from Xoom for offers and today I thought I would try and send the money again. It turns out my account is frozen. I then decided to call PayPal and file a complaint with them. This also was not a great experience as they took no ownership for follow up even though they are PayPal's partner for International wires. I would avoid doing business with either company.

Resolution response: May 11, 2019

After calling them on the phone, verifying credentials. All is good again but one thing I learned through this is you can send money to anyone with an email address through your PayPal account even easier as long as recipients have their email linked to there PayPal, useful for Thailand ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Original review: May 6, 2019

I send to friends in the Philippines often. It's been a wonderful experience until my last 2 transactions were cancelled without reason. So I let it go and sent to to another friend, which again was cancelled. I tried to contact them through email with zero response. Can't wait for cryptocurrency remittance to go mainstream so I can ditch both PayPal & Xoom.

Original review: May 1, 2019

Same poor experience as many others. I tested by sending $100 to my parent's account in India and it went through after a round of verifications on the phone. (Too heavy handed for $100). But I figured, at least it works and tried to send a bigger amount and they asked for a bunch more documents all the while always threatening to cancel transaction. I received confirmations that my account had been upgraded (by this point they have collected all possible personal information - financial & identity related). Then they canceled the transaction anyway and also have blocked me from logging back in. They just collect all your personal and financial information for nothing, I'd think twice before sharing all that information with them for no service.

Original review: April 29, 2019

Time consuming and very frustrating experience with the company. They have the backing of PayPal in all of their communications, but they provide a subpar service. Hours after placing a transaction order and getting a confirmation for the transaction we received another email asking to verify information and threatening to cancel a transaction. Made a phone call and a robot like person collected more personal information about the transaction after putting me on hold multiple times and eventually the transaction was cancelled anyway without adequate explanation as of why they are cancelling the transaction. The person who was supposed to get the money wasted hours of his time as well. Also understand that using Xoom Money Transfer you are not just paying a small transaction fee for the transfer itself, but you are losing much more money by them giving you a very unfair currency exchange rate.

Original review: April 26, 2019

If you want to live your life in peace, run from this service! I have sign up for an account, tried to send my first payment to a company in Bulgary, cancelled, reason "we do not send to companies"... Ok, tried my second transfer to a private in Italy. After 2 days I receive a message that my order cannot be completed because I have to call them. I call a USA number, first answer, an operator that speak a very bad English, I speak worse, finally we understand, he ask some personal info like DOB, name, address...

I try to silysics the Italian address. In the end he says that he needs to pass me to a colleague... I wait on the phone. After a few minutes someone answers the phone..Ask me again same info to confirm my account. All this in an infernal noise of operators. In the end she says that she must cancel the transfer because I cannot use the service to send from Italy to Italy and askes me a more recent utility bill to finally confirm the account. I send them the bill, I receive an email after 2 days that my account is now fully verified and I can send money.

Ok...No money to companies. No money to same country. I try this time to send to a private person in Bulgary. I make the transfer. Make the payment. After a few minutes I receive an email that my transaction was cancelled. I try again. Same result.. I contact them asking for info. This morning surprise... After I have spent over 10 euro on the phone last time... They want me to call them again!!! No way. This support is worst than amazon support which we all know that is the worst in the world!!! If you need to send money fast.. try google and choose any other service instead of Xoom. They say proudly a PayPal company...! I can prove all that I have said with emails and screenshots!

Original review: April 22, 2019

My goal was to transfer $4000 to China. First I thought I did my research and then called them. I was told the transaction would be immediate. So I first tried $50. It went through immediately. Then I tried the rest and nightmare began. For a whole week I was on the phone with them answering the same questions and basically swimming in circles. Waiting for supervisors to call me back and sitting on hold.

I understand having to ask questions but personal ones like "who exactly was this person I was sending money to?" "what was our relationship?" "What kind of gift was it" Every time I called them it was lie after lie. Finally they sent a message to state to state it had passed the verification process and it would only be one more day. The following day, I received a message stating the transaction had been canceled. No explanation! NEVER AGAIN!

Original review: April 21, 2019

I don't even know where to start with how ridiculous and unprofessional the service Xoom is. PayPal directs you to website to a wire transfer to an international bank. You complete the process and enter all the required information. Xoom then takes the money from your account. This is where the emails and phone calls start.

Lots of personal questions, asking for pictures of bank statements, IDs, utility bills. All this happens over the phone, with an extremely low phone quality, with a strong accent making it extremely hard to understand or hear what they are saying. I asked them "Why do you need my bank statement? I've already shown a piece of physical mail with my address and name on it, which you requested. You then told me this was not sufficient."

"We need to see a PDF file of your bank statement to verify your address." So I sent them a PDF file of the bank statement showing my name and address, but blocking out my limit, interest, and pay details. Then they call me and ask me once again, "where were you when you submitted the transaction." I tell them, and they say, "Ok it's approved. Your recipient will receive funds by 8:00 am next business day."

5 minutes later I get another phone call, this time telling me, "Ok sorry the funds are no longer approved, we need a better copy of your bank statement." I ask them why the bank statement I sent them is not sufficient, along with the physical piece of mail you initially requested. He says, "we cant see the address". So I ask them what they need off the bank statement once again and they said "we need to see the address." I said the address is clearly posted on the bank statement.

Then finally he says, "No, we need to see the details." And I ask again, "What details do you need and why?" Immediately the person I am speaking with says "ok we are canceling your transaction." Literally because I asked a simple question of why do need to see the details on my bank statement, for funds they've already withdrawn from my account.

Xoom is dishonest, rude, deceitful, and makes you feel like they are going to take your personal information and do something wrong with it. Rather than being upfront with what they want, and why they need it, they slowly ease into more information requests, until they finally admit what they've wanted all along. This had delayed my items I need, caused disruptions through my daily routine, playing with around with email and frustrating phone calls. Something that should have been done within a week based off of the way they advertise their product, is now going to take twice as long. I no longer feel safe using Paypal or Xoom. I am extremely disappointed with their service.

Original review: April 19, 2019

This is the first time I am using Xoom to transfer some money to India. After the money is transferred from my account in Canada, I am still waiting for the transaction to go through in India after 3 days!! The app and the service rep say that there is a technical glitch and it should be resolved in 1 day. After 2 days wait, there is no further update and the money is still not transferred by their partners in India. Due to the long weekend, I may have to wait for another 3 days to get any further update on this transaction. Do not use this SLOW service for any transaction!!!

Original review: April 19, 2019

Wonderful service! XOOM has made it so easy to quickly, and safely, transfer funds to family and friends in Guatemala. And I LOVE that I can use my PayPal account to access XOOM. I highly recommend this service!

Original review: April 19, 2019

I left Western Union and switched to Xoom because of lowest fee in Xoom. Now I see that you have increased the fee from $4.99 to $5.99 within a month. Why??? Do you want me to go back to Western Union?

Original review: April 17, 2019

This is an outstanding system for transferring money to other countries. And it is so fast. In sending to some countries, by the time I have sent the amount, logged out, then logged in to my foreign account, the money is already there. Just think how many US banks make us wait 3 days for a US transfer.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I could not be more happy with Xoom!! Make it easy for me every month to send money to my mom!! Also when I need to add money for a Tigo phone works amazing!! And every time I want to make a gift for one of my friends in Guatemala I use Xoom!! I love it!!

Original review: April 17, 2019

I tried first time online service. Believe me it's freaking fast, and reliable for me, I like it, I love it, recommend everyone how transfer money to other countries to their beloved ones. Trust me Xoom worth more than all other service available in USA.

Original review: April 17, 2019

My remittance to my son, Mark Anthony ** was received as scheduled in the amount I send. Thank you for your good service. This last few months, many are being victimized by cybercrime because I came to know that my daughter-in-law's neighbor and cousin were victimized. When they went to the bank BDO branch in Cavite, someone has already withdrawn their money. A big question mark. Hope this will not happen to me.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I have used XOOM numerous times, and have only had one issue over the past few years. My transfers have been to the Philippines and China. The money is in the account in China within a minute or two after sending. I would highly recommend this service.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I am very pleased with the service that Xoom provides. I have my family in Colombia, and for me it is very important that my family receives the little money I can afford to send. Xoom service has been very precise, dependable and worry free to use! In the past, I have always used the traditional method to send money, and even though I have please with that service, Xoom is above that!!! Thank you very for the Outstanding Service. Jorge

Original review: April 17, 2019

So far my transactions have been smooth and easy. I even had a couple of times that something went wrong normally my side and they were very friendly on fixing my situations. Over the years only one time has there system been down so it's been a great way to send money to love ones and not leaving the house.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I have always used Xoom for years to send money to my family in the Philippines. I highly commend the excellent and speedy transfer and the transfer status notifications feature via text message or email. I like that there is a wide variety of options available for sending money in terms of currency (USD or PHP) and banks. It would be nice to have a single transaction fee per month (in case of multiple transfers in a month) for customers who send at least $500 in a single transaction per month. Thank you.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Xoom is my Money Transfer service of choice. I've had excellent experience with the speedy, fair delivery. The only thing one has to make sure is to correctly set the full name of the receiving party to make sure there are no problems in collecting. And the texts reporting the process all along is a great assurance that all is going well. I have great confidence in Xoom and have recommended it to my close ones.

Xoom Money Transfer expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Xoom is a money transfer service that allows customers to send money from the United States to other parts of the world, including Central and South America, Asia, the Philippines and more.

• 24/7 customer support: Consumers with questions or problems can contact customer support by phone and speak with a customer service representative at any time, day or night.

• Referral rewards: Customers who recommend Xoom to a friend who makes a transfer over $400 will receive a $20 Amazon gift card. The new customer will receive a gift card too. There is no cap on the number of referral rewards a customer can receive.

• Bill pay: Any customer with a US-based payment source can pay utility bills in Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama and the Philippines. Fees are listed on Xoom’s website.

• Reload mobile minutes: All customers with a U.S.-based payment source can use Xoom to add minutes to their friends’ or family members’ prepaid mobile phones. Funds are immediately applied to the recipient’s phone, and Xoom will cancel any transaction that was accidentally sent to a contract phone that cannot be reloaded.

• App: Xoom’s app, available for Apple and Android devices, lets customers send money, pay bills or reload another mobile phone directly from their cell phone or other smart device. The app is free.

• Best for: Xoom is best for anyone who has a US bank account and needs to send money or pay bills internationally.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs