2. Finance
  3. Money Transfer

1.4/5 (37 ratings)

About Xoom Money Transfer

Xoom is an international money transfer service administered by PayPal that works from your phone or computer. You can send money to more than 70 countries and deposit to a recipient’s bank account or arrange cash for pickup or delivery. Xoom also offers international mobile phone reload and bill pay. You can get status updates by text or email. Xoom offers a money-back guarantee if your transfer does not get to the recipient. Customer service is available 24/7.

Pros

• Money-back guarantee
  • Deposit, cash pickup or delivery
  • Lower fees for PayPal customers
  • Live customer support

Cons

• Higher fees for credit/debit funding
  • Daily, monthly and six-month limits

Bottom Line

Xoom is a simple way to send money abroad from your home computer. It can be pricey to send funds by debit or credit card, but many bank account or PayPal account transfers have no fee or lower fees.

Top Xoom Money Transfer Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Just sent money using this service second time… I loved this service. It's fast with very low service fee and hassle free. The first page gives you all information about the conve...

Verified

Xoom has been my go to service for money transfer to India. It has improved a lot over the years. Initially it used to take a couple of day, then up to 4 hours, and now instantly....

What does Xoom do?

Xoom is a money transfer service. Its services are available online from your computer, tablet or smartphone, so you don’t have to visit a money transfer location. You can link multiple accounts and use a bank account, credit card, debit card or PayPal account to fund transfers. Xoom offers three levels of service:

• Level 1 allows bank deposits or cash pickups of up to $2,999 in 24 hours and up to $9,999 in 180 days.
  • Level 2 has a limit of $10,000 in 24 hours for bank deposits and cash pickups and a limit of up to $30,000 in 180 days.
  • Level 3 allows bank deposits up to $50,000 in 24 hours and up to $100,000 in 180 days.

Xoom transfers typically take two to three business days but can be expedited depending on the payment type. Large amounts require additional processing time.

How does Xoom work?

To sign up for Xoom services, you need to provide the recipient’s name. The company may also request additional information, including your:

• Account information
  • Address
  • Phone number
  • Banking info (if you’re making a deposit)
  • Social Security number
  • Passport (or green card/driver’s license)
  • Proof of address (e.g., utility bill)
  • Bank statement
  • Pay stub

Large money transfer amounts require additional verification.

How much does Xoom cost?

Fees for sending money by Xoom vary by amount, payment type, delivery type and country. For example, to send $200 to Mexico costs $2.99 if you use your PayPal or bank account. If you send $200 cash for pickup to a recipient in Mexico, the fee is $3.99 for all payment types.

To send $1,000 to a bank account, the PayPal and bank account fee is $0, while debit or credit card funding will cost $3.99. To send $10,000 to a recipient’s bank account in Mexico by debit or credit card, fees jump to $251.49. But the fee is still $0 if you use PayPal or your bank account.

Xoom FAQ

Is Xoom safe for money transfer?
Xoom is a service of PayPal, a widely trusted company. Transactions are encrypted and your information is not shared. Xoom is a VeriSign-secured site that is federally regulated. If your money does not reach the recipient, Xoom offers a money-back guarantee.
How long does a Xoom transfer take?
Many transfers are available right away — if you have an existing PayPal account, cash pickup could be ready for the recipient in minutes, but your initial Xoom transfer might take two to three additional business days to verify if you don’t use PayPal. Large amounts might require additional processing time, depending on the payment and delivery methods.
How do I receive money from Xoom?
You can receive money by bank deposit, cash pickup or cash delivery (not available in all cases).
What is the limit on Xoom?
The limit on Xoom transfers depends on the country, financial partner, service level and delivery type. The maximum amount you can transfer from the U.S. in one bank deposit transaction is $50,000.
Is Xoom a good way to send money?
Xoom is a convenient way to send money without visiting a bank or money transfer location. Services are available online. Xoom offers a money-back guarantee if the funds do not reach the recipient.
How much does it cost to send money through Xoom?
Xoom fees depend on amount, delivery type, payment type and country. Higher transfer amounts have higher fees. PayPal customers pay $0 in fees on transactions funded with a PayPal account. You can visit the website, plug in your country and the amount you want to send to see the fee.

Is Xoom safe?

Xoom is an international money transfer service administered by PayPal, a trusted company. You can use its encrypted website to send money to over 70 countries. While fees can be high for sending money from your debit or credit card, Xoom does not charge fees for transfer from your PayPal or bank account. If you don’t have time to visit a bank or money transfer location, it's convenient to use Xoom from home. For customers who need to pay bills for their families abroad, Xoom also offers bill pay and mobile phone reloading service.

Xoom Money Transfer Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Xoom Money Transfer?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

I am using Xoom for last 7 years, I am satisfied with the service, It's very convenient to use. It give great transfer rate and option to send quick or get more money with economic mode. I am sending money to India and it cover mostly all major banks in India to transfer money.

Get buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2020

I work regularly with clients in the USA and other American countries and also from countries across the globe. I charge them a fee for the services which we render to them here in India. We generally ask them to pay into our Savings/Checking bank account directly. While international transfers used to take 3-5 business days which was really an irritant in these e-times when everything is supposed to happen at a moments notice, this was one thing which used to take Sooo long. This evening after discussions with a prospective client, I provided him our bank details and Pronto, within minutes I saw that my account was credited with the promised amount. This is amazing. Great job! Xoom, will recommend to all our clients now onwards.

Original review: July 10, 2020

Just sent money using this service second time. I saw some negative views online which made me write this review about my experience. I loved this service. It's fast with very low service fee and hassle free. The first page gives you all information about the conversion rate and how much the receiver will get. I was charged the right amount and the receiver got the right amount too. I am very happy with Xoom, Highly recommended.

Original review: May 29, 2021

This is only my experience. Xoom was a decent money transfer service. I have used the service for about 6 months. It started being a 7 to 12 minutes transfer service then about 2 months ago it became a 24 hour service, I was not happy with the delay but I put up with it for about 4 to 5 transfers with 24 hour delay. Now it’s taking over 3 days and the transfer is not complete and every day I called customer service their answer is the Mobile Wallet parter company have digital issues. In plain English that is not my ** problem. I told them today to complete my transfer in 2 hours or return my funds immediately and don’t bother marketing any products to me thru Xoom or PayPal.

Original review: May 13, 2021

When it works its brilliant, fast and cheap. However one would expect that when you do the same thing on the website you will get the same result. That's not the case. When I go to the payment page, sometimes you get the choice of payment methods (from Paypal balance, your linked bank accounts or credit card), which I want and which works well. But 3 out of 4 times it goes to another page where I have to choose between bank card or credit card, and you need to fill your credit card details. I don't want that. Why does it take different processes at different times? It's just a Wow/happy-reaction if the site suddenly decides to take you to the correct page. It shouldn't be that way. It should be consistent. It's a Computer. And if you send the problem to the service desk per email, you just get a very generic "how to" advise or excuse which does not consider your problem at all.

Original review: May 7, 2021

I received funds from my brother through PayPal and wanted to transfer the funds into my personal checking account with Rbc, I agreed to all the terms and fees and made the transfer only to get an email stating that the transfer was cancelled and to contact Xoom customer service. 5 days on I contacted customer service only to be told to verify my account which I did. Well now about the transfer into my bank account they now require my most recent statement of account, valid government id and a utility bill. I said I don’t feel comfortable with sending my statement of account as a void cheque should suffice but no they want a statement of account or the funds will be withheld. I requested to speak to a supervisor only to be put on hold for 3 minutes and yet no supervisor.

I was either going to send them all that they requested with them advising that after all is sent it will take 3-5 days for them to review it before removing the hold on my Xoom account to enable me to make money transfer. Long story short I returned the money to my brother via PayPal as I will never ever be bullied into giving Xoom my statement of account and their threat of holding onto the funds till I meet their requirements. No wonder they have numerous 1 star reviews. A company like yours Xoom should never be in the business of money transfer. Your customer service representatives are also rude, I had to teach the fella not to cut me off when am speaking as I obliged him that courtesy when he speaks. Overall a horrible experience. Avoid them like a plague and use other money transfer services.

Original review: March 19, 2021

Their service is excellent HOWEVER there is one freaking problem and that is they charge your credit card as CASH ADVANCE and not as a normal transaction as they used to in the past. Hence YOU GET HIT WITH CASH ADVANCE FEES AND DAILY INTEREST FROM YOUR CREDIT CARD COMPANY. In that case, it is better to send money through Western Union or a similar service since they have changed their ways of processing the credit card. I have used several times in the past for money transfer and never did they charge me as cash advance, NOW all of a sudden they change their policies. NEVER GONNA USE THEM.

Original review: March 15, 2021

I use Xoom to transfer money to my family in Vietnam for long time. The Xoom fee is $ 2.99 for bank account and $14 for credit card fee for sending $ 1200. In December 2020, I transferred $ 1200 by credit card and the credit card fee was charged by Xoom $ 14 then Xoom charge money from my credit card (no cash advances). In February and March 2021, I sending $ 400 and $ 1200 to my family and the Xoom got $ 7 and $ 14 credit card fees but Xoom got cash advances from my credit card so the Fidelity company charged cash advances fee and interest for me. The Xoom is a scam company, they charge a credit card fee but get cash and do not notify customers.

Original review: March 13, 2021

I understand that they want me to send in my bank statement. I get it, I really do. What I don't get is why the want to see all of the pages and if I send in all the pages why do they get upset if I redacted my transactions? I blacked out the transactions but I left the dates and amounts of each transaction. I cannot understand how that is relevant to their verification process. If their concern is keeping the customer safe then why are we sending our identification cards and bank statements to the PHILIPPINES? I have been waiting for a week and they still haven't replied to my email so as I'm writing this I'm on hold waiting for a supervisor at Xoom. I'm sure this is a big waste of time but I'll keep you updated.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

I started using Xoom about 5 years ago and do about 3 transfers (bank to bank) a month since I live part of the time in Colombia. I usually would get my money to my bank in Colombia within 2 or 3 hours. Yesterday (Feb 24) for the first time when I transferred 200 dollars the system said that there was an error and transfer did not go thru. I waited a couple of hours and was going to send another transfer but checked my email and the transfer had gone thru. After 4 or 5 hours I still did not get my money into Colombia. I called them and now they said it would take no later than Mar 1. I checked my bank account in USA this morning and the money had been withdrawn but still the money was not in Colombian bank account. I am very disappointed since I need my money now. Anyone recommend another "transfer company".

Xoom Money Transfer Company Information