2. Finance
  3. Money Transfer
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.93/5

A member of the PayPal family, Xoom has partnered with companies around the world to provide its users with safe and affordable money transfer options. Whether you’re looking to reload a phone, send money or pay bills for family and friends, Xoom has fast, easy and secure options for everything. Recipients can take advantage of their convenient global network and receive funds through direct deposit or by hand delivery. Visit their site today to explore all money transfer options!

Xoom Money Transfer Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Xoom Money Transfer?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Xoom Money Transfer?

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

I've used Xoom for at least the past 9 years. I've made multiple money transfers to relatives in other countries, as well as put money on their mobile phones (often called a recharge). In all these years, I have never had a problem or a delay. I often use the text messaging service for updates, which helps me know that the money was received without issue. I have tried other services, but nothing can compete with the fair exchange rate and super-fast, reliable service that I have received from Xoom. I highly recommend using Xoom and I often refer others to their service.

Get buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

I am a faithful Xoom customer simply put because their customer service, professionalism and efficiency is without rival. They are undoubtedly the best online money transfer service in the market. The transfer is rapid, dependable and secure. The sender is meticulously informed at every step of the transfer from initial processing to availability of funds to receiver to completion of transaction upon collection. This information is faithfully relayed via email or text to the sender.

In addition to the convenience of many points of receipt of transfer available to the receiver, there is also the facility of transfer to receivers' accounts at a variety of local banks. Home delivery is also offered. I also take advantage of another service Xoom offers in adding minutes to receivers' cell phones. I am a faithful customer because their fees are also very reasonable. The convenience, professionalism and excellent service that Xoom provides renders them the very best company for money and cell phone minutes transfer. I recommend them to family friends and anyone looking for an overall 5 star service.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

Hello. I would like to Thank customer service in Spanish speaking for their amazing work. I made a mistake sending money to the wrong account in Mexico Banamex. I spoke to customer service in English many times for like a week & they drag so much asking for a lot of paperwork that I was not able to get (Bank statements from the recipient). They said that without that info I was not going to be able to recover my money right away & I was sending email back & forth. After talking to 2 people John & someone else I dont remember their names. I decided to speak to someone in Spanish. They solved my problem fast & the easiest way possible, they emailed the bank on Wednesday 09/18/19 I believe & by Thursday 09/19/19 I had already an answer that I will receive my money within 5 business days. Thank so much again. You have an amazing staff Customer service Spanish speaking.

Original review: July 23, 2019

Very pleased with this service. I've been using it for over a year now. The funds are being deposited in the destination bank account the same day as they are withdrawn from the source bank, and in some cases the funds are being deposited in the destination bank before they are even withdrawn from the source bank!! With traditional wire from bank to bank the funds are being withdrawn from the original bank, they "disappear" for about a week or so and then they show up at the destination bank. That made me feel very uncomfortable as to what happened with the money.

No fee if the transaction is over $1,000.00 which is super nice. Also, in my case at least, the rates are better than a traditional bank to bank wire transfer, although there is another online service that has slightly better rates than Xoom, but I prefer the security of a PayPal company. The first time that I used it they called me to verify that it was me who was transferring the funds which made me feel more comfortable. I certainly recommend Xoom to other people.

Original review: July 22, 2019

In June, my daughter went to Paris and on the way from the airport had her phone and credit cards stolen. For the next two hours I was in research mode trying to find the best and most reliable way to send cash. The reviews online for traditional methods were very discouraging. Then I stumbled on Xoom. I was very reassured by their connection to PayPal.

There were some issues filling out the online forms but I can't recall if I faulted Xoom for that. Due to my credit card company thinking it was a suspicious charge and my own errors in entering credit card info, I must have filled the forms out from the beginning four or five times. But when I hit send, it was less than two minutes until my daughter had access to $500, at a location four blocks from her hotel. It was a relief. I have since recommended Xoom to all my friends and have told the story many times.

One criticism, probably not of Xoom directly, but a few weeks later I got an email request to complete a survey. My experience had been so positive, I was happy to do it. The questions were not relative to my experience and it was very frustrating. They seemed to assume I was a potential customer instead of a satisfied one. I couldn't end the survey when I found it was not applicable and it was longer than promised. I am not sure it was sent out or not.

I just thought of another thing that I've been telling people about. I was so impressed with the clear and upfront notification about how you make money off the transaction. When the last words before I clicked 'send' were that you collect a fee and make a profit on the exchange rate, I was impressed with your honesty and felt even more confident in choosing you. Thanks Xoom. I wish I had reason to send more cash to Europe. I repeatedly told my daughter I was sending more, but she insisted she didn't need it.

Jim

Original review: June 13, 2020

Just thought I would share my experience with Xoom, if this may be of benefit to someone else. One of the problems with Xoom is that it gives you a misleading 4 step set of instructions on sending money to Jamaica upon first accessing the website and selecting the recipient country. In my case I was using the bank deposit method and it says on the site that it will arrive typically in 3 business days and the info implies that once you send the funds the recipient's bank will automatically be credited. Not true. When you send the funds it is transferred to Xoom's local partner institution (in my case JMMB). The partner is supposed to contact the recipient for further instructions on how to receive the funds, in my case they did not. The recipient is required to submit two proofs of ID along with a Deposit Authorisation form to JMMB for them to release the funds to the recipient's bank. You are not told this when setting up the transfer.

I only found out upon making enquiries with Xoom after waiting 10 days and the funds had not been credited. Xoom did respond to my queries quickly but the partner organisation did not fulfill their end by contacting the recipient in a timely way. Xoom needs to make the info on the process much clearer from the outset rather than hidden in their Help pages. What confused me too was that the transaction update message from Xoom said that the funds were being processed by the recipient's bank when in fact the partner institution still had it in their possession.

Original review: June 9, 2020

Covid 19 forced us to find a better way to send money to my older relatives in Germany. Despite the fact that Xoom has the highest rates, I was already setup with Paypal, it was easy enough to link it with Xoom, so we tried it. However, they declined the request. They dictated that I must reply to some random looking email asking for my driver's license and a full PDF copy of my credit card statement. Imagine that... I wonder if they would have any advice regarding my purchase choices over the last month! Wow. No explanation mind you. They didn't even answer their phones. Just please tell us everything you purchased over the last 30 days for our files (along with a copy of your Drivers license for the Internets). Incredible. No, I do not recommend this service.

Original review: June 9, 2020

We have used Xoom to send money to friends in the Philippines for almost a year and had good experiences with them. Suddenly on June 2, I got an email saying that my xoom account was being closed and the money I had just tried to send would not be delivered. No reason or no warning was given. Because of Covid, they are not taking phone calls, and in the six days since, I have not received a reply. We tried to set up another account with my husband's name and a different bank account, but that was also refused. Our bank account balances have always been good, and we have not changed our contact info. We did receive one phone call about a disbursement, but no information at all from their customer service about the account closure. We are frustrated and we are switching to another company.

Original review: June 4, 2020

This use to be a great company before PayPal bought them, now during corona virus the customer service does not exist, if you send an email they do not respond, and if they respond they do not resolve the issue and you can not talk to them. If you ask to call you they do not call back.

Original review: June 3, 2020

I wanted to transfer some money from the UK to Italy. After 3 years of my request it was still pending. The transaction has not been initiated. I contacted their customer service but no response. I asked to cancel the transaction but the money has not been backed to my bank account. Don't rely on their service. I will certainly NEVER use it. Rubbish.

Xoom Money Transfer author review by ConsumerAffairs

Xoom is a money transfer service that allows customers to send money from the United States to other parts of the world, including Central and South America, Asia, the Philippines and more.

• 24/7 customer support: Consumers with questions or problems can contact customer support by phone and speak with a customer service representative at any time, day or night.

• Referral rewards: Customers who recommend Xoom to a friend who makes a transfer over $400 will receive a $20 Amazon gift card. The new customer will receive a gift card too. There is no cap on the number of referral rewards a customer can receive.

• Bill pay: Any customer with a US-based payment source can pay utility bills in Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama and the Philippines. Fees are listed on Xoom’s website.

• Reload mobile minutes: All customers with a U.S.-based payment source can use Xoom to add minutes to their friends’ or family members’ prepaid mobile phones. Funds are immediately applied to the recipient’s phone, and Xoom will cancel any transaction that was accidentally sent to a contract phone that cannot be reloaded.

• App: Xoom’s app, available for Apple and Android devices, lets customers send money, pay bills or reload another mobile phone directly from their cell phone or other smart device. The app is free.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team