3.26/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

A member of the PayPal family, Xoom has partnered with companies around the world to provide its users with safe and affordable money transfer options. Whether you’re looking to reload a phone, send money or pay bills for family and friends, Xoom has fast, easy and secure options for everything. Recipients can take advantage of their convenient global network and receive funds through direct deposit or by hand delivery. Visit their site today to explore all money transfer options!

735 Xoom Money Transfer Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I had a bad experience with Xoom. I recently opened an account with Xoom to send money to a friend in Thailand who wanted to buy some tools to groom her dog. I thought I was being a nice person to help my friend out. I connected my PayPal account with no big problem and got my friend to send over a bunch of personal information. I then did the transfer at what seemed like reasonable fees. I got a confirmation number saying that my transfer was pending. I was told to call Xoom. This is when the experience went downhill.

The customer service rep started interrogating me about my transaction in one of the most accusatory tones imaginable. No friendliness, just a mean-spirited tone. When I told my story, she did not lighten up one bit. After the call, she said that they needed to verify my phone number in 5 minutes. 15 minutes later they called and verified my phone number. But that was not enough. I was told my transaction would be transferred to her bosses. The next day I received an email saying my account had been closed and transaction cancelled. All for no apparent reason. I have plenty of money in my bank and it was a transfer straight out of my account. Xoom sucks. Try someone else where they make you feel like a human being instead of a criminal.

Get expert buying tips about Money Transfer and International Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I am 24 hours into attempting to transfer money, 5 phone calls and 13 emails and no results. I am told the money can be returned to me within 3-5 banking days. What the... Every 4 hours I am notified of another document I need to send in addition to my driver's license, bank statement, utility bill, tax assessment. I am wondering how much info am I providing to whom? Meanwhile my ill friend, who is traveling in Mexico waits for money to see the doctor. Both of us glued to telephones waiting to hear what next is required for documentation. 4 hours of my life is gone trying to do this. Western Union next time.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Xoom, took my money, shut my account down for no apparent reason, and will not give me a reason why. I have filed through the BBB on them. I would not waste my time. I was sending some friends a monetary gift for Valentine's Day, and out of nowhere my account was flagged. I receive a call from a call center asking multiple questions and I have no clue why. The next day the transaction is cancelled and my account is closed. Please get a few people here in the U.S. on your customer service call center staff, because I could not understand anything that they were saying. PayPal needs to sever ties with this company immediately! Bad business.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I've used Xoom several times to send money directly to family members in a different country. It was convenient and easy. This time around, I had to call them to verify my account, my address, phone number, etc. Then I was interviewed about the money I was sending. After the interview, they told me they are canceling my transaction because I had told them that my aunt and I send money using MY bank account about once or twice a year. Apparently you can't do that? I will no longer be using Xoom. They made it seem like I was sending drug money or committing some sort of fraud when I was trying to help out my family. Their customer service sucks as well.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I used to LOVE Xoom, but this few times I try to send money to my brother you guys would cancel my orders with no excuse, and when I call they don’t really have a good explanation. I think if this happens again, I would stop using this service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Xoom Money Transfer?

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Since I travel a lot, I am always too far away from my family members (who are spread around the world) to be with them on special days. Being able to send money instantly so that they can buy for themselves what they would really like for their birthday takes a lot of strain off me and I know that they appreciate getting money (and notifications) into their bank account for that special occasion.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

It has been always easy for me to send money from my account in the USA to different countries, loving the many options I have to retrieve the money from. It's pretty easy and it's usually ready for pick up the same day.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

The price is good and the speed of transaction is excellent. One MAJOR thing is the security of the site... it is best that the site has a secondary password or code in order to log in to protect users. Like a code text to a phone number in addition to the password to log in. Other people who has my password can log into my account and send themselves some money, in one day, they would have the money because it is done via bank and cash. So this is a major concern.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I was banned by Xoom for no legitimate reason and without an appropriate explanation. Bad customer service. Bad communication. Bad ending for no reason. I work hard, I send money. It's simple. Xoom is not a good company.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

PayPal wanted me to sign for Xoom. It was timely as I needed to send a small payment to pay a traffic ticket in Europe. After I processed the payment, they immediately canceled it with no explanation. When I called, I was told that it was canceled because the payment was to a government entity and not to a private non-commercial party. It was not really explained anywhere on their website well, but OK, I let it slide. Sometime later I needed to send money to a friend Russia. Zoom advertises that they do it all the time.

First time I put it through, it was immediately canceled. When I called to find out, they transferred me to a “verification” department and told me that they needed to verify my information for my own protection. OK, they asked me all kinds of questions and told me that I was successfully verified and I could now resend the money. Here we go again. I put the transaction through the second time. I immediately get a message that I need to call and to be verified again. I go through the same questions again, they again tell me that they verified everything and that the transaction is initiated and I will be contacted.

Transaction is shown as “started”. Then about 15 hours later I get a cancellation message, no explanation. Another 20 min later, I get a bomb, they closed my Xoom account altogether. Explanation? None. “We can close it at any time”. Well, PayPal customer of many years, thousands on commissions paid to them, - all means nothing. I guess they make money on dealing with real crooks who use the service to launder the illicit funds. Good riddance, Xoom...

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

In trying to send money to Cambodia, Xoom verification department cancelled the transaction, having decided that it was a commercial transaction (not allowed), which it was NOT. I clearly stated on several occasions that the money was entirely a gift. Repeated attempts to get a credible explanation and to speak to someone in a decision making authority were unsuccessful. I ended up wasting several days before concluding that Xoom placed little priority on customer service and was not very concerned about irresponsible decisions shielded by anonymity.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I really like this way of sending money. No hassle, no leaving home and very accurate and fast too. The reason why I don’t give a 5 star it’s because the money was supposed to be taken off my PayPal account not my personal account but besides that it’s a great way.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

XOOM is always easy to use. All I have to do is go to their website using my iPhone and make the request to transfer the money and it is complete within an hour. I would recommend XOOM to anybody. They are fast and efficient!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I make mistake when was sending money to my brother, he couldn't get the money then I have to call Xoom to fix the problem. The person I talk to were so nice and professional helping me out. Then we fix the problem in few minutes.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Very satisfied with 5 ***** Stars. Your name Xoom speak for itself. It xoom right after you click "send" - the transfer is already there on the recipient account as soon as I lift my finger from the keyboard. Excellent. Thank you for very good service.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I can say only good things using Xoom when sending money to my girlfriend. The transaction is quick and easy and is in my girlfriend's bank account within a few minutes. Never had any problems. I would highly recommend this service to anyone sending money to friends or loved ones. Transaction is safe and secure.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I have used your service for years, and it always has been exceptional. On the few times there has been a problem, it was resolve quickly in a single phone call by your diligent support staff. Thank You!!!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

It's a hassle free services, since last 3 years I am using Xoom to send money to India for my dependent's livelihood, and money received by only just 3 mins after transferring, I don't this any other online payment services can able to do their services to customer so precisely and accurately. Thank you very much XOOM.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Hi, my experience was bad because whoever spoke with me was rude and unprofessional, with this job and I spoke with 3 persons on this case, I open an account and send $100 to myself and later sent $1,518. That was when the problem started. They said they need my statement and ID and I sent the data page of my passport and she said it's not cleared, before I could send it again my transaction was canceled. Since then I have not been happy with Xoom.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I have been using Xoom for greater than five (5) years. Xoom's reliability has been extraordinary, not to mention the customer service provided - second to none in all capacities concerning all concerns. Thank Xoom - safe and trustworthy financial services organization.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

My sister went and pick the money in Mexico and the person was to my end inrespectful. They never have money she have to go few times and to they have the Money we send. I think to switch to end other company.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Extremely disappointed with Xoom for putting me in a situation. Had to wire urgent funds to family back in india and got the following email: “Dear Marzban **, We're sorry, Xoom or our partner has encountered an unexpected problem processing transaction **. We've cancelled the transaction at this time and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us and we'll be happy to assist you. Xoom Customer Service”. Called customer service who gave me the same response as my email. This is the second time this has happened. The first time it took 3 days for my funds to reach india because of the same excuse about ‘unexpected error with partners in india’. Looking for another service to avoid such embarrassment again.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Great service for sending money internationally. Very simple, easy to understand directions. Online service was convenient, super quick, recipients had no problems receiving money sent within a matter of minutes.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I sent to two persons. One with bank account that went thru and one to a person's email. There must have been something wrong with either email or name as you blocked me from using Xoom again. I can't send to the bank like it did before. I have no idea of what I did wrong.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I have been using XOOM for several years. My experience has always been positive. On a couple of occasions I I have had to call to reset information and it was always handled in a professional manner.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I downloaded Remitly and I hated the fact that they wanted picture i.d. of my recipient in Mexico! I was so annoyed; that I deleted the app and got Xoom instead. Xoom looks more modern and easy to use. Money transfers immediately and without any holds or issues.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Xoom is very careful when it comes to preventing any illegal monetary activities, so you have a take the time to establish your bona fides. For some, that might seem unnecessary, but it also gives customers more safety. Once the bona fides are in place and your family members, or recipients, have provided official IDs etc. sending by Xoom is immediate and a very simple process. I recommend them highly.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Easy to use. Safe and reliable with PayPal brand. Shows transfer amount during transfer and exact same amount gets transferred. Processed within 1 business day if its business day on both sides and transfer initiated during business hours. Immediate confirmation email. Option of text updates for both parties.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I make monthly transfers to Brazil and Xoom is the easiest way. Once your receiver is set up, each transaction is just entering a value and approving. I shop exchange rates and xoom often beats other major transfer site rates. Rarely is it significantly less. I've used this service for many years and am very happy with it.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

First transaction was perfect. No problem. Second and third transaction had me send in full copy of my monthly bank statements with all transactions and after numerous of calls for 2 days it was finally released and fourth transaction they took out funds the following day from my account which I had already changed it to be taken out from my debit card which they did instantly but funds were not released to the other party for 4 days. After my account had been reviews previously.

Xoom Money Transfer expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Xoom is a money transfer service that allows customers to send money from the United States to other parts of the world, including Central and South America, Asia, the Philippines and more.

• 24/7 customer support: Consumers with questions or problems can contact customer support by phone and speak with a customer service representative at any time, day or night.

• Referral rewards: Customers who recommend Xoom to a friend who makes a transfer over $400 will receive a $20 Amazon gift card. The new customer will receive a gift card too. There is no cap on the number of referral rewards a customer can receive.

• Bill pay: Any customer with a US-based payment source can pay utility bills in Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama and the Philippines. Fees are listed on Xoom’s website.

• Reload mobile minutes: All customers with a U.S.-based payment source can use Xoom to add minutes to their friends’ or family members’ prepaid mobile phones. Funds are immediately applied to the recipient’s phone, and Xoom will cancel any transaction that was accidentally sent to a contract phone that cannot be reloaded.

• App: Xoom’s app, available for Apple and Android devices, lets customers send money, pay bills or reload another mobile phone directly from their cell phone or other smart device. The app is free.

• Best for: Xoom is best for anyone who has a US bank account and needs to send money or pay bills internationally.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Xoom Money Transfer Company Information

www.xoom.com
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.