3.31/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

A member of the PayPal family, Xoom has partnered with companies around the world to provide its users with safe and affordable money transfer options. Whether you’re looking to reload a phone, send money or pay bills for family and friends, Xoom has fast, easy and secure options for everything. Recipients can take advantage of their convenient global network and receive funds through direct deposit or by hand delivery. Visit their site today to explore all money transfer options!

587 Xoom Money Transfer Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I've been using Xoom for over 5 years now and last Nov. 9, 2018, I was scammed by a hacker (it's a long story) to send $2,000 to the Philippines. The transaction was successful because the money was picked up within few minutes. I called (countless of times) Xoom and told them about my problem and that the person that picked up the money is fraudulent. There wasn't any sympathy from them whatsoever. They kept telling me to contact this department and that department, so obviously they do not talk to each other. It's almost a month and I haven't gotten any help from them.

I was asking them if they can give me a copy of the recipient's photo ID and the pick up location, but told that they couldn't give me the information needed. Then told me that only a subpoena from the police can give me the documents needed. But after talking to them for over a month, I'm not even sure if they will give the needed documents to the authority. Very poor customer, verification and collection service. I will never. Never do business with them again. Very unprofessional and can barely speak proper English agents. How can you talk to people if you can't even speak their language!!! Shame on you all!!!

Get expert buying tips about Money Transfer and International Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I work in online customer service every day. I've had to listen to and deal with loads of people every day with a wide range of questions and concerns. I've also been given loads of empathy training to prepare me for this job. Someone should have given this training to the support people at Xoom. Of course, I don't handle more than a couple hundred euro, pounds or dollars at a times. So of course, I'm wondering why people who work with large amounts money have such a lack of transparency and empathy. I transferred a couple thousand dollars to pay for my wedding reception 6 business days ahead of time. I think their guarantee for transfer is 3-5 business days. But that's not really the point.

The first person I talked to gave me the general run-around, but did try to look into finding the money for me. However, the transfer was done incorrectly. The second person I talked to was unpleasant and rude to me. She kept telling me over and over again that she was certain the money was in my account while was looking at my account online seeing that the money was there. She hung up on me twice. She was clearly angry that she got my call the second time. She just didn't bother at all. The third person I talked to was generally helpful and promised to look into the case. However, she never sent the email to me with the information that would allow me to send my bank statements to her so that she could investigate. So in the end, she really didn't do anything at all.

I'm mainly annoyed that my money was so grossly mishandled. But I'm also annoyed because I have to answer to a quality team day in and day out at my customer service job. Do these people have any sort of accountability? I've transferred money at least 4 times with Xoom before and had a great experience. But this one horrible experience means I'll never trust them again.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Attempted to send $230 USD to a merchant in Sri Lanka. Immediately received email notice from Xoom that money was being 'processed" and provided with a transaction number. After 5 days, merchant had no notice of funds arriving. Upon calling Xoom support, they said they could provide no information or answers, and no resolution as to where the money was. My transfer history is empty - showing no evidence - zero - that any money was sent, in spite of having a transaction number from Xoom via their email. Nor does my account show that any bank account was associated with this account. Empty! Customer support was sub-par compared to US banking standards of customer support. For me, there are far too many kinks in this system for me to recommend Xoom to anyone at this time. I will continue to use Remitly or PayPal.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I've been using XOOM since 2016. Funds have always been delivered within a couple of days. Not this time though. I made two transfers on December 3rd, their status is shown as deposited, but the recipients didn't receive the money. I contacted customer support and was told they can't find the reference numbers of those transactions in the partner bank system. They asked me to email them bank statements. I provided all the information and heard nothing back. I emailed a few times since I could not get through to anyone on the phone. It's been over a week and my $200+ are nowhere to be seen with zero updates from XOOM. Very bad customer service. Avoid at all cost. I'll never use their service again and I'll file an official customer complaint with my state consumer office.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I transferred a large amount of cash from the US to the UK and got confirmation that the deposit was completed. Three days later, I get an e-mail from Xoom telling me that, oops, the transaction was cancelled. I called the number on the e-mail and the customer service reps knew nothing about it and insisted that the deposit had been made. I had to persuade them that it had not. They finally figured out that, apparently, a large number of transactions like mine had been cancelled due to a technical issue with their partner bank, Barclays. And here’s the kicker: despite the fact that they promise that they can do immediate transactions, it is going to take over a week for the money to be re-deposited in my US account. They offered very insincere apologies, but nothing else. I’ve had bad customer service experiences, but this was by far the worst. Stay away from them at all costs!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Xoom Money Transfer?

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

If you send money through Xoom their affiliates will give your family the runaround to pick up the money they need making them spend more money they don’t have. The code they give you will not be valid to their recipients in any location or identification. They advertise you only need the code and ID. But they make it hard to pick up. I send two time and had to cancel two times cause they will not give it. I even call customer service and they were not able to do anything about. You will only be frustrated and your family too trying to get your money. Don’t waste your time with Xoom.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I needed to send money to one person, one time. But the number of hoops I had to jump through made things very slow and difficult. Far too many repeated emails, phone calls, and attempts. Such a hassle.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

Consistent service. Sending to our family in the Philippines has been relatively easy with Xoom. So far it has been safe, accurate and trouble-free, and they are prompt at correcting any technical problems. Thanks!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I’m a heavy business user of PayPal. Assumed use of Zoom would be seamless. Wrong. Attempted to send $125 to a friend in Colombia. The verification questions were inane and went far beyond address, ID, and bank statement. Not easy, not fast, not worth it. Phone staff completely inept. Pick another entity and drive this company out of business!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I went to Xoom through PayPal to transfer about 70 USD to an Cleaning service in Bangalore, India. I filled you all the form, submitted and in about an hour, I receive an email indicating I need to call them as it’s put on hold. I call them to get it through and they ask bunch of questions on exact information which are already on my form that I submitted. Then they started asking 'do you have another contact number', 'copy of DL', 'bank statement' etc. Really? For a 70 usd transfer? And that too when I come via PayPal, I expect a basic respect that am a trusted user in PayPal?

And then on opt of all this, they need another few days to transfer this money. Gosh! What is this service? So I left it, as I had better things to do with my time. I gave them the feedback right in the call as well, though I know they just don’t care. If this is how they treat new customers, I don’t know how they will stay in the market and make business. Is this an isolated experience and just for me? I hope they get their act together.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I initially transferred money to India on Nov 30th 2018, the money was taken from my account right away. But the recipient did not receive that money, they kept checking every days... no money! After 4 days on Dec 4th I got an email that the transaction did not go thru because of some technical issues and money was returned to my account. I understood that it was something to do with their IT framework or some such thing and initiated a transfer again on Dec 5, 2018, again the money was taken from my account right away.

After 24 hours I get an email that says the transfer is on hold for 1-3 business days! The transfer should happen by Dec 10, 2018!!! Nowhere does it state that if you use a checking account the transfer takes 1-3 business days! The recipient was in need of this money on Dec 1. It is now Dec 6th and the money is still hanging in limbo, neither is it in my bank account. When I asked for a refund and cancel transfer, so I can use Remitly or some other service, I was told that they can refund only after Dec 10, 2018. That refund will also take 1-4 business days! Where the hell is my money for all of these missing days? This is very illegal.

When I asked to be transferred to their Complaints department or Legal department, I am told there is no such departments and instead given the phone number for the Corporate Headquarters! Such a SHAM!!!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

In the years since discovering XOOM, my life has been made much easier as I can now transfer money to my family in a safe, rapid manner directly from my desk. Bank to bank transfers are the safest and quickest way to send your relatives any funds. Look forward to having XOOM handle my transactions for many years to come.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Xoom is very dependable and reliable. I have full confidence in them in making multiple transfers monthly. I would recommend their services to anyone who expects dependable and reliable service without the worry of international transfer of funds.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I send money to the Philippines 2 to 3 times per month and Xoom has saved me a ton of money with their low rate fees. Now they offer more cost savings by depositing directly into a pesos bank account. I'll be taking advantage of that this month. If you like saving money, Xoom is the way to go.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I have been using Xoom for several months now and its good service has been consistent. Money available right away, different options to get the money, its website is easy to use and the change price is fair. Thank you!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

It has been very helpful using Xoom to send money to my fiancee in South Africa. After consistent problems with Moneygram and Western Union, Xoom has made it easy, consistent, and much more enjoyable for both of us. Although the money is not the same day or next day, the ease of the process is worth waiting a few additional days and the money goes directly into her account.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Big difference in market exchange rate and what Xoom gave. The exchange rate given was 3+ % lower than the market. In the past Xoom has charged 1% or so. I have stopped using Xoom and now use Remitly!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

My experience while talking to the representative over the phone: I felt disappointed by the total disregard about the legitimacy and urgency of my transactions. Family member are dependent this service especially since this is what you advertised.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Money wasn’t available at the bank right away, my sister had to go back twice to the same location in order to get the founds. Inacceptable. This was a waste of time and money, on top of this this is the second time I have the same issue. The funds aren’t available as the website claims.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I always transfer money to my daughters account in the Philippines. Xoom makes it a quick and safer way to send money to love ones overseas and she receives it in minutes. With the money transfer going directly into her account this eliminates the danger of her walking around with a large sum of money.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Almost excellent service. My only concern is your unfair rate of money exchange. For example, you offer free transfer of under $200 to be deposited in a Philippines Peso bank account, but you ** customers with your rate of exchange. Your rate of exchange is lower (meaning you give less) than BDO bank. That is the reason I opened a dollar account to avoid the exchange rate. But then, you increase your fee for dollar transfer into a dollar account. At the end, the customer loses and you win. But overall, your service is costly but almost excellent.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I used Xoom for the first time this month to send $400+ to pay for one of my Mom's nurses (she has two taking care of her & I pay their salaries). That transaction went thru just fine. The next day, I tried sending money to pay for my Mom's other nurse. The amount was only for $300. That transaction was placed on hold. I called Xoom to verify information they needed from me. They then asked that I email a copy of my U.S. Passport & bank statement in order to comply with their policies.

After a few hours, I received an email from Xoom informing me that they were not able to verify the documents I sent them therefore they are cancelling my transaction and placing a restriction on my account. It seems their system is weak & flawed if they cannot verify basic documents, such as a U.S. passport & bank statement of a major bank. I am not sending thousands of dollars. I'm only sending a few hundred dollars to pay for my mother's nurses. If they are going to give me a hard time with every transaction then I'm no longer interested in doing business with Xoom. I was told negative experiences about Xoom by my friends. I should have listened to them...

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Sending money in the Philippines is not a problem at all and it only takes a couple of minutes plus given the updates that both parties received. Reliable as I have never encountered a problem with XOOM.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I use Xoom often and find it to be very secure. Whenever there I get a transaction canceled all I have to do is call the customer service number and confirm all my information and that shows me Xoom is very careful about new transactions.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Xoom is excellent service. It help me send money to love one at any time. Don’t have to wait to go to a place and stand in line and fill out form. I could do all that from the phone. Only wish I could use my PayPal credit to send money. Seen is owed by PayPal why not use the PayPal account. Not your only your banco account or credit card but also your PayPal credit. That my only issue. And also I would like to have a option to erase who I have send money to. That all. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I will rate 5 if you guys don't delay my monthly transfer every time... always have to wait for 3-4 business day for the payment to be deliver... same person, same account, same money, you guys should’ve let me send it with no problem by now. But overall I like Xoom.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

We have used Xoom many times over the last couple of years to send money to my wife's family in the Philippines. We are extremely happy with the ease and speed with which we can send money and the rates are very competitive. Not only can we send money to people in large cities, but also to people in small, rather remote places. Xoom has been very trustworthy.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I initiated fund transfer at 12:17 AM EST 12/04/2018. Got email from Xoom at 12:22 am that transaction. I approached customer service at 12pm and they confirmed that, "We reviewed your transaction and can confirm the funds were paid out to the designated recipient. This closes our investigation, but we will be happy to review your recipient’s bank statement with you to help locate the deposit if needed." I sent Xoom my recipient's bank statement at 3pm showing no money has been credited. Called customer service again at 6.15 PM, but still no trace.

The supervisor is saying they will check at their counterpart during banking hours and get back to me. It has been around 19 hours but the money is not credited to my account. I have lost one crucial day as I had to make some urgent payments. Worst service this time Xoom. I am not happy. Why did you sent me email that money has been credited to my recipient account when it is not. And further pain why should I wait for another day when you can complete a new transaction in 2 hours.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

By far, the best experience. I regularly send money overseas and can really appreciate the fast transfer on every transaction. Once I needed to contact customer service and was equally satisfied. I recommend Xoom to everyone.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Had a great experience with Xoom. I needed to make a payment to an artist in London. The artist accepted PayPal which directed me to Xoom. The process was easy and it cost one tenth what my bank was going to charge me.

Xoom Money Transfer expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Xoom is a money transfer service that allows customers to send money from the United States to other parts of the world, including Central and South America, Asia, the Philippines and more.

• 24/7 customer support: Consumers with questions or problems can contact customer support by phone and speak with a customer service representative at any time, day or night.

• Referral rewards: Customers who recommend Xoom to a friend who makes a transfer over $400 will receive a $20 Amazon gift card. The new customer will receive a gift card too. There is no cap on the number of referral rewards a customer can receive.

• Bill pay: Any customer with a US-based payment source can pay utility bills in Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama and the Philippines. Fees are listed on Xoom’s website.

• Reload mobile minutes: All customers with a U.S.-based payment source can use Xoom to add minutes to their friends’ or family members’ prepaid mobile phones. Funds are immediately applied to the recipient’s phone, and Xoom will cancel any transaction that was accidentally sent to a contract phone that cannot be reloaded.

• App: Xoom’s app, available for Apple and Android devices, lets customers send money, pay bills or reload another mobile phone directly from their cell phone or other smart device. The app is free.

• Best for: Xoom is best for anyone who has a US bank account and needs to send money or pay bills internationally.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs