2. Finance
  3. Money Transfer
ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.34/5

A member of the PayPal family, Xoom has partnered with companies around the world to provide its users with safe and affordable money transfer options. Whether you’re looking to reload a phone, send money or pay bills for family and friends, Xoom has fast, easy and secure options for everything. Recipients can take advantage of their convenient global network and receive funds through direct deposit or by hand delivery. Visit their site today to explore all money transfer options!

Xoom Money Transfer Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

I am a faithful Xoom customer simply put because their customer service, professionalism and efficiency is without rival. They are undoubtedly the best online money transfer service in the market. The transfer is rapid, dependable and secure. The sender is meticulously informed at every step of the transfer from initial processing to availability of funds to receiver to completion of transaction upon collection. This information is faithfully relayed via email or text to the sender.

In addition to the convenience of many points of receipt of transfer available to the receiver, there is also the facility of transfer to receivers' accounts at a variety of local banks. Home delivery is also offered. I also take advantage of another service Xoom offers in adding minutes to receivers' cell phones. I am a faithful customer because their fees are also very reasonable. The convenience, professionalism and excellent service that Xoom provides renders them the very best company for money and cell phone minutes transfer. I recommend them to family friends and anyone looking for an overall 5 star service.

Get expert buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

Hello. I would like to Thank customer service in Spanish speaking for their amazing work. I made a mistake sending money to the wrong account in Mexico Banamex. I spoke to customer service in English many times for like a week & they drag so much asking for a lot of paperwork that I was not able to get (Bank statements from the recipient). They said that without that info I was not going to be able to recover my money right away & I was sending email back & forth. After talking to 2 people John & someone else I dont remember their names. I decided to speak to someone in Spanish. They solved my problem fast & the easiest way possible, they emailed the bank on Wednesday 09/18/19 I believe & by Thursday 09/19/19 I had already an answer that I will receive my money within 5 business days. Thank so much again. You have an amazing staff Customer service Spanish speaking.

Original review: July 23, 2019

Very pleased with this service. I've been using it for over a year now. The funds are being deposited in the destination bank account the same day as they are withdrawn from the source bank, and in some cases the funds are being deposited in the destination bank before they are even withdrawn from the source bank!! With traditional wire from bank to bank the funds are being withdrawn from the original bank, they "disappear" for about a week or so and then they show up at the destination bank. That made me feel very uncomfortable as to what happened with the money.

No fee if the transaction is over $1,000.00 which is super nice. Also, in my case at least, the rates are better than a traditional bank to bank wire transfer, although there is another online service that has slightly better rates than Xoom, but I prefer the security of a PayPal company. The first time that I used it they called me to verify that it was me who was transferring the funds which made me feel more comfortable. I certainly recommend Xoom to other people.

Original review: July 22, 2019

In June, my daughter went to Paris and on the way from the airport had her phone and credit cards stolen. For the next two hours I was in research mode trying to find the best and most reliable way to send cash. The reviews online for traditional methods were very discouraging. Then I stumbled on Xoom. I was very reassured by their connection to PayPal.

There were some issues filling out the online forms but I can't recall if I faulted Xoom for that. Due to my credit card company thinking it was a suspicious charge and my own errors in entering credit card info, I must have filled the forms out from the beginning four or five times. But when I hit send, it was less than two minutes until my daughter had access to $500, at a location four blocks from her hotel. It was a relief. I have since recommended Xoom to all my friends and have told the story many times.

One criticism, probably not of Xoom directly, but a few weeks later I got an email request to complete a survey. My experience had been so positive, I was happy to do it. The questions were not relative to my experience and it was very frustrating. They seemed to assume I was a potential customer instead of a satisfied one. I couldn't end the survey when I found it was not applicable and it was longer than promised. I am not sure it was sent out or not.

I just thought of another thing that I've been telling people about. I was so impressed with the clear and upfront notification about how you make money off the transaction. When the last words before I clicked 'send' were that you collect a fee and make a profit on the exchange rate, I was impressed with your honesty and felt even more confident in choosing you. Thanks Xoom. I wish I had reason to send more cash to Europe. I repeatedly told my daughter I was sending more, but she insisted she didn't need it.

Jim

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I've tried Western Union. It was okay I thought. Until a problem came up. I called their number and spoke to a representative. Explained my problem. And was directed to another department. That was when I found out that there is no live person there. Only answering machine. After numerous attempts to contact a live person was unsuccessful. I gave up. Also the representative was not so helpful. Not rude. But not helpful. So I found out about Xoom. And after learning that it is a Pay Pal Service. I gave it a try. And have been very satisfied ever since. Also the convenience of being able to do all my transactions on my own computer in the privacy of my home. At any time I need to do a transfer. Excellently well developed service system. I have had no issues where I needed to contact a representative. So I cannot comment to that part. So far so good. 5 stars for Xoom.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Xoom Money Transfer?

Original review: Jan. 12, 2020

Yesterday, I tried to transfer money by using Xoom. I was a first time user. I got a phone call from them for data verification. I gave them every detail. Further, they sent me an email where they required additional documents. Namely, a PDF of my national ID and the most recent balance on the credit card. I supplied both immediately. I called back, and they told me that the operation had to be cancelled, and that my account with Xoom would now be blocked. This is indeed most peculiar. They would not tell me the reason, or give me the chance to prove that the data is completely legit. I have been using online services for over 25 years and I have never encountered such a perplexing situation. This is definitely a fail in customer service. The worst form of insolence.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

Been using Xoom for years until now, I sent $ 350 to Mexico, I typically Just to pay $ 4.99 but now they charge $9.99 then the rate exchange is $19.00 pesos per dollar. They paid $18.00 per dollar so I end paying $25dollars for the transaction a real rip off. I'm deleting the app and never use this company again!!!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

Yesterday I sent Xoom an email regarding my transaction being cancelled. They asked me to contact the customer verification team. I had a contact at their email id and also called the customer service. They cannot provide me any reason for the cancelled transaction. Also they mentioned I cannot make any transaction on my account and there is no way to fix it. This sounds very bizarre as I simply registered and tried to make a transaction. If they need any verification or any document, they should have asked for it. I have never encountered such a scenario while making money transfers.

They are telling me that I cannot use their platform and cannot provide me reason for that. I find this very offensive and discriminatory. I will happily use TransferWise or MoneyGram which are much reliable and customer friendly. But I will make sure I give them an appropriate review for this very bad experience. Stay away from them if you do not want such experiences.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

Dec 30, 2019 I opened an account with Xoom and sent money to a family member in Hong Kong. According to Xoom’s website, it would take 2-3 days for the fund to arrive at the recipient’s bank. Until Jan 8, 2020, my family member still hasn’t received his money. I called Xoom, after some checking, the lady on the phone told me, there were some technical problems with their partner bank, so there’s a delay! And she couldn’t tell me when the recipient will get his money! When I asked for a refund, she told me I couldn’t get a refund. When I asked to speak to a manager, she told me she’s not allowed to transfer a call. I need help, anyone can tell me what to do? Mrs. B. **

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

I initiate a transfer on Friday 3rd January and today 8th january the money did not transfer to the beneficiary's account. So far I talked to Eden, Cheryl, Marifa, Maiacris, Allyn. I am contacting everyday and I am getting an answer their partner not responding, if their partner not responding I think this company choose a wrong partner. If their partner not responding they send mail do nothing telling me their partner not responding.

I made a complain and no one contact me via mail or phone, so many time zone problem, call centre in Philippines head office in California, even the call centre staff saying the call centre in California. Because of this delay I want to cancel and want the refund, they cant do that because the head office is now closed for business. I warn anyone using this service please do not use Xoom, I only choose because it got Pay Pal symbol underneath. This company will destroy pay pal's good name.

Xoom Money Transfer expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Xoom is a money transfer service that allows customers to send money from the United States to other parts of the world, including Central and South America, Asia, the Philippines and more.

• 24/7 customer support: Consumers with questions or problems can contact customer support by phone and speak with a customer service representative at any time, day or night.

• Referral rewards: Customers who recommend Xoom to a friend who makes a transfer over $400 will receive a $20 Amazon gift card. The new customer will receive a gift card too. There is no cap on the number of referral rewards a customer can receive.

• Bill pay: Any customer with a US-based payment source can pay utility bills in Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama and the Philippines. Fees are listed on Xoom’s website.

• Reload mobile minutes: All customers with a U.S.-based payment source can use Xoom to add minutes to their friends’ or family members’ prepaid mobile phones. Funds are immediately applied to the recipient’s phone, and Xoom will cancel any transaction that was accidentally sent to a contract phone that cannot be reloaded.

• App: Xoom’s app, available for Apple and Android devices, lets customers send money, pay bills or reload another mobile phone directly from their cell phone or other smart device. The app is free.

• Best for: Xoom is best for anyone who has a US bank account and needs to send money or pay bills internationally.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team