1.46/5
  • 1 star
Based on 62 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Xoom Money Transfer

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 16, 2018

282 Xoom Money Transfer Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I needed to send money to a family member and assumed that the easiest/quickest way would be through Xoom. I really wish I had read the negative reviews before I proceeded. I sent in all of the required information including a bank statement. I didn't feel comfortable with sending a statement without blacking out the information they did not need so I sent "edited" documents. It was rejected. What exactly do they need the full bank statement for? It has my account numbers, my balance, etc. I didn't feel comfortable sending them that information and the customer service rep pestered me about resending the statement with "no erasures". It didn't feel right.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Several times I have tried to send money overseas and after 5 minutes they send you a text saying the money is ready to pick up. The receiver goes to pick up the money and the money IS NOT ready to be picked up! When you check their website it says there’s a slight delay. Slight? A week and several calls/emails later, money is still not being delivered. The same CSR from a week ago answers my call today and starts talking to herself like playing like she was talking to me!!! Incredibly unprofessional! I had talked to this person before and she was faking like she was talking to me and she goes, “Sure, thank you” and she hangs up! Really??? I was so disgusted! I called again to cancel the transaction, and as usual they don’t guarantee it will cancel. Why? I don’t know. They promise the money is delivered within 5 min and after 7 days they tell you they might not be able to do it. Don’t even bother to send money with them - it will not happen!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

Accessible and easiest way to transfer money to my love ones. Just a few click away and my money is ready for pick up on the other side of the world within minutes. It is like a trusted friend, Xoom never failed me, always there in times of need. Kudos to Xoom!!!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I use Xoom to send money to mother-in-law who resides in Mexico and I have never had any issues with using Xoom. Very fast and within a few minutes the money is ready for pickup. My mother-in-law has never had any issues picking the money up either. Plus, it only takes a couple of minutes to send. Once I needed to reach out to customer service and they responded immediately. This transaction in particular was to add money to a phone in Mexico and we had no issues whatsoever. I would recommend their service to anyone and I truly feel that they have made my life easier. 5 stars all the way for this company. Keep up the great work!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

This is a simple, easy to use, and efficient system for transferring money. In addition, it is much less expensive and faster than bank-to-bank transfers. I would highly recommend using Xoom to anyone who is looking for an easy, fast, and safe method for transferring money abroad.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Xoom Money Transfer?

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

I regularly send money to Colombia via money transfer locations and Western Union. Since all the money transfer locations were closed at the time I decided to use Xoom. The processing of the transaction itself was quick and easy. Great communication from Xoom. Keeping me up to date for each step of the transaction and then came the huge roadblock. I received an email saying that my transfer recipient needed to sign a document before the transaction could be completed. The document itself is a document required when depositing foreign funds into a Colombian bank account and it is always done by the bank itself with the account holder not the party depositing the funds.

Their partner Pagos Internacionales; however, also requires this document no other service has ever asked for this. Here comes the great part I can no longer cancel my transaction through Xoom and has to be done through Pagos Internacionales in Colombia. The icing on the aggravation cake Xoom provided me a contact number for Pagos Internacionales that is disconnected. I had to escalate my case to a supervisor after 2 calls. The $4.99 per hundred sent is the same. Most places charge and money is deposited instantly, so why have the aggravation. I am done with Xoom. It is definitely PayPal's ugly sister.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

What experience? They lie, collect all your personal information, then lie some more... And that's it. Now you have surrendered all your info under the false pretense that you are protected and able to send funds internationally. I don't actually know Anyone, who has been able to actually use Xoom or their "Service."

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

Read the complaints and run!!! I gave all the information asked and I trusted because it was part of Paypal. After all the information I gave, I still had to give them my bank statement and copy of driver's license or passport. No reason to cancel my transaction right? Wrong! I have the money and it was only $350.00 transfer. No reason but they were not able to verify my information. Ok? What is missing??? I never gave this kind of information to a company and now my email with my bank statement and passport is floating in some foreign country!!! BAD!!! RUN!!! This company should be shut down!!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

If there is a negative rank, this company would definitely get a negative mark. The last transaction that I was sending was cancelled without a logical reason. I received an email that they were putting a hold to my transaction and I needed to call them. When I called them, they asked impertinent questions who really was not about security. Oh well, the exchange rate is low, and the only reason I was using this service was their quick way of transferring money to the recipient. I understand the need to secure the account, but why don't you invest in a better service of securing online transactions. PayPal acquired you so you need to upscale security, and not rely on inefficient customer agents to handle verification. Disgusting experience. Remitly and Western Union is so far more reliable than your service. Sorry to say that!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Xoom is a complete waste of time. Their verification process is nonsensical. After sending all the documents they requested, they continually rejected my docs and refused to transfer money. Despite calling customer service for this reason, they didn't respond to us. Finally TWO weeks later since we created my account, they sent an e-mail that they were closing my account. Xoom basically stole my information. I'm an excellent credit holder. This is the absolute worst experience that I've ever had related to money services! Will NEVER use again!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I have never heard of Xoom.com until yesterday when I received an alert from my bank that charges were made by Xoom.com that put my bank account into overdraft. The charges were reversed and the money put back but I was still left with overdraft fees. I tried to contact Xoom customer service but they would not talk to me because I could not provide them with my Xoom account information. I do not have a Xoom account. So apparently someone opened a Xoom account in my name. Xoom is a part of PayPal now. The bank account used is linked to my PayPal account. Others, I found out thru the PayPal community forum. Have had money taken from their bank accounts by Xoom who do not have a Xoom account. So either PayPal or Xoom has a serious security problem.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I sent money to an account in Lima - Peru on December 2 2017 at 6 pm. The money suppose to be in Peru on Monday morning, it is Tuesday 4 pm and they can’t not give me the real status of my transfer. I have spoken with 2 different customer service representative in the last 24 hours and they said that they can’t communicate to the bank in Peru where the money was transfer. I believe in post service and this is not the best way to do business with people's money. When I asked for my money back, they said they won’t be able to return the money since it is still pending process. Really a nightmare!!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

Xoom money transfer - Poor PayPal partner. Spent hours and 8 or 9 attempts to get the transaction to work. Customer verification unit asks for docs. I provided them. They canceled with no notice until I called yet again. They would not tell me why they canceled. Worst experience ever. This service is a joke. I have had a PayPal account for decades and all is verified and active and they said it does not matter - only their review matters. So what use is PayPal??? Use some other service which is what I will do.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

Tried to send money to the Philippines on behalf of my aunt, received an email that it was placed on hold so I contacted their customer service, and so the representative told me that sending money not from personal bank account is prohibited, which I understood. Second time, tried to reload a phone in the Philippines, and right after clicking authorize, I receive an email stating that my transaction was canceled. Got on the phone again with Xoom and was transferred to their verification team. They told me they couldn't verify my account and had to cancel that one. So I appealed and asked what we have to do to have the transaction done, and they asked me to send bank account statements and a government ID. I also showed my debit card to prove it was mine. Got an email saying they still can't verify my account even after sending them these documents.

So I asked what else can we do to lift the restriction on my account, and I asked for an appeal. Representative told me on the other line that my case will be taken to the HQ and their decision will be final. 3 hours later, I receive an email that they still can't verify my account! I have asked them what their verification process is and what I lack to prove that the transaction is safe, but they only say that they can't give that information as it will compromise their process. I called 3 different times and spoke to 6 different representative who I know are just doing their job... But to see the amount of negative comments on this section, Xoom has to step it up. To this point, I don't want to make a fuss about it because it's just stressing me out, but I'll be trying to send out through them again soon. If they would still disappoint me, then so be it.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Not worth even one star. Wife uses Xoom to send overseas for family medical, realty taxes, living expenses, etc. 99% of the time never more than 400 dollars at a time, once a month. Now that most have passed, she may send 400 dollars once every 6-12 months. Here is how the experience goes--EVERY TIME. Go online and send money. Indicate you want cell phone text confirmation. No text confirmation shows up. After 1 or 2 days, family calls to ask what's up. We get online to try and find out. ACCOUNT IS LOCKED. Call customer service and spend 20 to 30 minutes with 1 or 2 representatives who ask several dozen questions to verify wife is show she says she is. Then, transferred to someone in security who basically asks same questions and more "for security purposes" including WHAT WILL THE MONEY BE USED FOR. HOW IS RECIPIENT RELATED TO YOU. BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.

All for a measly 400 dollars??? Each time??? THEN, they call our home to confirm phone number. Finally, they might send the money. We have gone through this process before, were told they would send the money, and then find out they never did. Had to call again and go through the SAME process. TOTALLY WORTHLESS. Xoom now advertises that you can send 10,000 dollars each time. Bull. I would like to see it.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

My transfer to Brazil arrived to my nana fast and to her account. She is an old lady so Xoom makes it easy for me to deposit to her account so that she does not have to go to the bank to pick it up. I like.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

Out of 8 attempts to use Xoom, 7 were cancelled by Xoom for no reasons whatsoever except they did not pass their scrutiny. I completed all 7 of these transactions with Western Union in a matter of seconds after. I used Xoom because their charges were less and funds would have come out of my bank account instantly rather than either using a credit card with Western Union or waiting 4 days. I have spent hours on the phone with their staff, including supervisory personnel, all offshore and all with heavy accents. And none were helpful in the least. I assumed incorrectly that with flawless credit, one of the highest FICO scores possible and lots of funds to cover these transactions, and being a PayPal customer for years, that it would be a snap. Instead all but one attempt was a complete bust, for reasons never explained except to tell me that their review of the requested transaction did not meet their criteria for a safe transaction.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

They allow you to send a couple of thousand (like 2000) without a problem. I even told them from the first transaction that I was only trying to pay someone back from money they loaned me for a house down payment of about 6000. But then after the first 2000, they make you send them your ID and bank statement. After they see it, they turned me down. I think it was because I sent them last month's statement so they didn't see all the deposits I made since then. So I guess they thought I didn't have enough funds but I doubt they even looked at the dates on my statement. So instead of asking me for my more recent statement showing the money, they just turned down my transfer and that was it. They really suck. Would NEVER even try to use them again!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I transferred money to a recipient in Canada with the understanding it would take one day. Two days later the recipient still did not receive it. On the third day it still did not hit. Made 3 phone calls and was given countless 'canned' responses; awaiting word from their partner Envoy. I will never use this service again and would not recommend anyone else use it either.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

For two day and more than 6 hour total I had the worst time going through the verification process. I spoke with several reps and supervisors who were saying the same info, but neither helpful. I had to send too much info to validate who I was. In some respects I can understand ensuring clients authenticate their credentials, but I submitted several forms of documentation that had the same address and account information and still that was not enough for them to make a decision. My instincts tell me to cancel my account and from the other reviews regarding transference of funds, the delays and unauthorized withdrawals...

This company is not reputable. This is not over for me, because I will contact PayPal and inform them of this bad service. I'm sure they already have heard the complaints, but I'm going to give them another one and I suggest you do the same. Maybe PayPal might disassociate themselves from Xoom or at the very least give Xoom a wake-up call to do better.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Do not use. Sent my daughter money 2 1/2 weeks ago. Never got to her. I finally just wired it. Still can't get Xoom to give me my money back. They keep changing their story. Contacting PayPal too to let them know Xoom is a joke. Please do not use if you want to save yourself lots of headaches and money.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

I am not a Xoom account holder, yet a transaction from Xoom that I never authorized hit my bank account. I have been trying to get Xoom to assist in clearing that up, and have hit brick wall after brick wall. They have denied my claim, giving me no explanation as to why. They have not told me who the payment went to. The whole thing makes no sense; clearly it was fraud, and they are doing nothing about it. I have escalated it twice, and been denied twice. PayPal now owns Xoom, so I tried getting PayPal to help (where I am an account holder), but PayPal security people say they cannot do anything about Xoom transactions. Worthless. Neither will get my intentional business in future.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

Xoom treated me like a criminal. I spent 2 hours on the phone, emailed them personal and business information for verification numerous times and still was refused sending my money transfer. If waiting on the phone, repeated calls and emails and trying to understand someone who's not English proficient is your dream day scenario, Xoom fit your bill. I for one will NEVER do business with Xoom or refer them in any way, shape or form in the future. Now I'm concerned about sending them my personal and business information, never again!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

Huge Ponzi Scheme. Supposed to pay a fee to transfer funds to overseas vendors, pay bills, etc. BUT, Xoom.Com takes the $ money out of your account & into theirs, then holds the $! 5 days later (w/ penalty) still begging them to pay vendors. (I'm talking AFTER the $ left bank account & entered theirs.) It's supposed to be immediately, & they require credit check, State ID, SS #, copies of bank statements etc & some do go thru before clearing account. But out of 5 or 6 transactions, it is rare.

They take auto drafts from account, then just sit on $. When you call they say "It's in Clearing House." - Whatever that means. Could understand 5 days if I was borrowing, but not. They had the $, just don't pay. Don't get caught in their game. When I spoke with a supervisor, she kept rolling down a window (to smoke?) & when I would complain of the wind, she would instantly roll it back up really fast. Kept doing it. They sat on all $1,000 for 5 days. Why? To loan to others? Use another service, don't beg for your own money. Run.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

WTF Xoom? Why did you ask for all important document from a US citizen when you can't do your job? Now, I am worried about my digital identity. Xoom canceled my transaction due to not meeting their regulatory and compliance policies. When I called and ask for the reason, they told me every time that they can't tell me the reason because it would compromise their verification process. WTH, How can I fix if there is anything wrong? They should at least try to help me out from the restrictions they placed on my account, so I can't send any money. I was just trying to see if I can send money to reload phone on my uncle (masa) who is close to me. I don't care what rate or time they take but just wanted to see if that I can do from here to help out my uncle for just $10 but clearly stupid Xoom don't care about the customers.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

On trying to send money to Mexico was informed it would take 15 mins... Getting the money down fast was an emergency and we made that clear to Xoom. Five days after we assumed the money was sent we were informed nothing was sent with no explanation and that they could not send the money to Mexico for us. This after giving them many papers to put in their files. This may end up costing us many thousands of dollars. Western Union took care of us in the 15 mins Xoom promised.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

I tried transferring some money from MY US BANK ACCOUNT to MY INDIA BANK ACCOUNT. They needed some documents to validate the transfer: identity proof (passport/visa), bank statement for bank account verification. First of all, I did not know that the verification is needed, it wasn't mentioned anywhere on the Xoom website, so the first transaction was canceled.

Now, this is the most stupid, ridiculous thing that happened when I tried the transaction again and I provided all the documents for verification. They came back to me saying that the documents don't match and they are not giving me any reason. How can the documents mismatch if the receiving person is the same as the person who is sending the money? And all the documents I provided prove that I am the right person and the account I am sending money from belongs to me.

On top of all this, because of this ridicule, I wasted 7-8 days in a single transaction and the $ value went down enough that I have an overall loss of 5000Rs or 78$ which does not even include the loss I have had because I wasn't able to send money back to India on time. Now, the only good thing out of this: I can't use XOOM at all which I would prefer not to in future.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

This was an incredibly difficult and time-consuming process. I tried to make a transfer and did not receive immediate notice that I needed to verify the transfer within the time period, so the first attempt to pay rent was cancelled. I tried to make a second transaction and verify it, which was during the time I was already abroad. I called their 'outside the US' number but was then transferred to their 'verification department'. The department hung up on me after approximately 3 minutes.

I then called that department back with the number the first person had provided, and was informed that the verification department number was not toll free. So I paid 20 cents per minute to be on hold for long periods of time and answer questions I could have answered electronically. After all of this, they still needed me to submit my ID and a bank statement via email (??? why not through the app or website??). They also of course charge a fee for both currency conversion and the transfer itself, so my rent has overall increased by almost $50 a month.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

Delaying my transaction when my dad was in hospital waiting for the money. I called the service 3 times and same answer to wait for four days because of the bank. I already called the bank, they said no problem. Xoom got trust issues, they even asked for my Social security number and what's my JOB! Nobody wants to wait for 4 days while your dad is having an health emergency problem. Not recommended for emergency use.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

Sent funds to Pakistan. Recipient went to get money and told money was sent back to Xoom. After 2 months, Xoom is still escalating the review. In the meantime, I am out the money. And they charged a fee to do this service. So I lost my money and the cost to send the transfer. Does not seem like a reputable business.

Xoom Money Transfer expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Xoom is a money transfer service that allows customers to send money from the United States to other parts of the world, including Central and South America, Asia, the Philippines and more.

• 24/7 customer support: Consumers with questions or problems can contact customer support by phone and speak with a customer service representative at any time, day or night.

• Referral rewards: Customers who recommend Xoom to a friend who makes a transfer over $400 will receive a $20 Amazon gift card. The new customer will receive a gift card too. There is no cap on the number of referral rewards a customer can receive.

• Bill pay: Any customer with a US-based payment source can pay utility bills in Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama and the Philippines. Fees are listed on Xoom’s website.

• Reload mobile minutes: All customers with a U.S.-based payment source can use Xoom to add minutes to their friends’ or family members’ prepaid mobile phones. Funds are immediately applied to the recipient’s phone, and Xoom will cancel any transaction that was accidentally sent to a contract phone that cannot be reloaded.

• App: Xoom’s app, available for Apple and Android devices, lets customers send money, pay bills or reload another mobile phone directly from their cell phone or other smart device. The app is free.

• Best for: Xoom is best for anyone who has a US bank account and needs to send money or pay bills internationally.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

Xoom Money Transfer Company Information

www.xoom.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use