3.9/5 (450 ratings)

About Xoom Money Transfer

Xoom is an international money transfer service administered by PayPal that works from your phone or computer. You can send money to more than 70 countries and deposit to a recipient’s bank account or arrange cash for pickup or delivery. Xoom also offers international mobile phone reload and bill pay. You can get status updates by text or email. Xoom offers a money-back guarantee if your transfer does not get to the recipient. Customer service is available 24/7.

Pros

• Money-back guarantee
  • Deposit, cash pickup or delivery
  • Lower fees for PayPal customers
  • Live customer support

Cons

• Higher fees for credit/debit funding
  • Daily, monthly and six-month limits

Bottom Line

Xoom is a simple way to send money abroad from your home computer. It can be pricey to send funds by debit or credit card, but many bank account or PayPal account transfers have no fee or lower fees.

Top Xoom Money Transfer Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Just sent money using this service second time… I loved this service. It's fast with very low service fee and hassle free. The first page gives you all information about the conve...

Verified

Xoom has been my go to service for money transfer to India. It has improved a lot over the years. Initially it used to take a couple of day, then up to 4 hours, and now instantly....

What does Xoom do?

Xoom is a money transfer service. Its services are available online from your computer, tablet or smartphone, so you don’t have to visit a money transfer location. You can link multiple accounts and use a bank account, credit card, debit card or PayPal account to fund transfers. Xoom offers three levels of service:

• Level 1 allows bank deposits or cash pickups of up to $2,999 in 24 hours and up to $9,999 in 180 days.
  • Level 2 has a limit of $10,000 in 24 hours for bank deposits and cash pickups and a limit of up to $30,000 in 180 days.
  • Level 3 allows bank deposits up to $50,000 in 24 hours and up to $100,000 in 180 days.

Xoom transfers typically take two to three business days but can be expedited depending on the payment type. Large amounts require additional processing time.

How does Xoom work?

To sign up for Xoom services, you need to provide the recipient’s name. The company may also request additional information, including your:

• Account information
  • Address
  • Phone number
  • Banking info (if you’re making a deposit)
  • Social Security number
  • Passport (or green card/driver’s license)
  • Proof of address (e.g., utility bill)
  • Bank statement
  • Pay stub

Large money transfer amounts require additional verification.

How much does Xoom cost?

Fees for sending money by Xoom vary by amount, payment type, delivery type and country. For example, to send $200 to Mexico costs $2.99 if you use your PayPal or bank account. If you send $200 cash for pickup to a recipient in Mexico, the fee is $3.99 for all payment types.

To send $1,000 to a bank account, the PayPal and bank account fee is $0, while debit or credit card funding will cost $3.99. To send $10,000 to a recipient’s bank account in Mexico by debit or credit card, fees jump to $251.49. But the fee is still $0 if you use PayPal or your bank account.

Xoom FAQ

Is Xoom safe for money transfer?
Xoom is a service of PayPal, a widely trusted company. Transactions are encrypted and your information is not shared. Xoom is a VeriSign-secured site that is federally regulated. If your money does not reach the recipient, Xoom offers a money-back guarantee.
How long does a Xoom transfer take?
Many transfers are available right away — if you have an existing PayPal account, cash pickup could be ready for the recipient in minutes, but your initial Xoom transfer might take two to three additional business days to verify if you don’t use PayPal. Large amounts might require additional processing time, depending on the payment and delivery methods.
How do I receive money from Xoom?
You can receive money by bank deposit, cash pickup or cash delivery (not available in all cases).
What is the limit on Xoom?
The limit on Xoom transfers depends on the country, financial partner, service level and delivery type. The maximum amount you can transfer from the U.S. in one bank deposit transaction is $50,000.
Is Xoom a good way to send money?
Xoom is a convenient way to send money without visiting a bank or money transfer location. Services are available online. Xoom offers a money-back guarantee if the funds do not reach the recipient.
How much does it cost to send money through Xoom?
Xoom fees depend on amount, delivery type, payment type and country. Higher transfer amounts have higher fees. PayPal customers pay $0 in fees on transactions funded with a PayPal account. You can visit the website, plug in your country and the amount you want to send to see the fee.

Is Xoom safe?

Xoom is an international money transfer service administered by PayPal, a trusted company. You can use its encrypted website to send money to over 70 countries. While fees can be high for sending money from your debit or credit card, Xoom does not charge fees for transfer from your PayPal or bank account. If you don’t have time to visit a bank or money transfer location, it's convenient to use Xoom from home. For customers who need to pay bills for their families abroad, Xoom also offers bill pay and mobile phone reloading service.

Xoom Money Transfer Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Xoom Money Transfer?

Original review: May 9, 2022

I found Xoom when I was trying to transfer money to Kenya to a friend there who was having some difficulties. The first transfer was flawless. The second was cancelled, I called customer service and was asked a number of questions about how I knew the friend, I explained I grew up in Kenya, and had known the individual for years. They approved me for another transaction, except when I sent it, they cancelled it. I called again went through the same questions, was cleared to transfer, except they cancelled it again, and again and again, with the same conversation each time. Then finally one went through....or I thought it did. It was to take several business days to arrive.

I got no notice from Xoom, until the day the transfer was to be received, and then they told me they were refunding the transfer, and it too had been cancelled. I am back to old standby's like Western Union and Worldremit (I have no affiliation with either). I have no idea how anyone is using Xoom, unless Xoom is simply unable to operate confidently in Sub-Saharan Africa, and can actually be effective elsewhere in the world.

Get buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Resolution response: April 12, 2022

Finally the issue has been resolved after much back and forth.

Original review: April 11, 2022

Hi guys, I just wanted to share my horrible experience with Xoom. I have recently transferred $2500 from my account to Indian bank account using Xoom on 4th April. The amount was debited from my original bank account and on xoom it showed transaction was successful but when I checked my Indian account money never got deposited till date. I have been chasing xoom to know what is going on, I shared the actual bank account screenshots of as a proof where there was no deposit. I have speaking to 10's of floor manager on xoom but they are just going round and round. They are trying to prove me wrong by saying money has been deposited onto my account but actual bank account statement do not lie.

I also got to know from Xoom uses a partner bank to get money transferred to India and you will be surprised which bank is their partner. It's PUNJAB NATIONAL BANK. One of the most CORRUPT, FRAUD, USELESS government banks of India. I have made a complaint against Xoom for manipulating my money. I will fight to get my money back at cost from Xoom. Guys I'm serious now. If you do not want your money to get stolen by Xoom or Punjab National Bank…DO NOT USE XOOM ever, they are FRAUD.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2022

After sending a few transactions, Xoom 'permanently restricted' my account without informing me. They claim I failed a verification check. They won't accept any new documents, etc. so I can verify myself. They won't tell me why I failed verification. They would tell me that I am permanently restricted from their products. They also suggest I recommend Xoom to friends.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2022

This is a front for a money management app. They are listed as a money transfer app but what they are trying to do is to manage your finances and get you to upload your personal financial documents! After you give them all your financial info they will decide what you can and cannot transfer. Would not recommend this app. And do not send them your personal finical info. You should not be sending that info to anyone. This is not really a transfer app. There are other apps that will do it and not try to tell you what to do with your money and not ask for you financial info. Not recommend!!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2022

I did a transfer through Xoom, and the money has been deducted from my account. After the deduction of fund, I received a message that it will take 6 days to deliver the money to receiver's account. Senders be aware that if you are using Xoom for immediate transfer, you will be regretted.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2021

I have been using the services of Xoom from the beginning of 2020 onwards to send money to my wife in India. Majority of times, money was successfully deposited into the local bank account in India. A few times, the transactions were cancelled because the 3rd party bank which Xoom was using could not deposit the money into the local bank used by my wife, for unknown reasons, and that money was successfully returned back to my account. On Dec 4th, 2021, I had sent more than 10K to my wife, and 4 days later on Dec 8th the transaction status on Xoom and also the message sent to my personal email said that money was successfully deposited at the local bank into my wife’s account. Again 4 days later, on Dec 12th when my wife happily walked into the local bank to withdraw money from her account, she noticed that money which I had sent had NOT been deposited by Xoom.

When my wife informed me, I contacted Xoom, and the representative looked at the transactions and said that money had been successfully deposited into my wife’s account in India. After making many calls to both the local bank in India and to Xoom, the representative at Xoom requested for a bank statement from the local bank in India to prove that money had not been deposited into my wife’s account. When I submitted my wife’s bank statement to Xoom, the representatives of Xoom realized that I was in fact telling them the truth. Xoom then contacted the third-party bank (Punjab National Bank) which they were using and successfully refunded the entire amount back to me on Dec 17th, 2021.

My innocent family members, local bank staff in India where my wife has her bank account, and I went through a lot of tension and sleepless nights during these moments because it was the God-given hard-earned money which my family needed for support. I decided NOT to use Xoom anymore in my life to transfer money to India but instead I decided to use wire transfer transactions through a well-recognized bank because it is safe and secure even though it comes with a lower foreign exchange rate.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

On a call I requested a supervisor. After holding for at least 20 minutes (she did at least check in once) the agent said the supervisor would call me back in 15 minutes. It has been more than an hour and a half and nothing. I will find someone else to do business with in the future.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

I would caution trying to use Xoom based on my experience. My bank account is verified with Paypal. I entered a money transfer for the purpose of paying a deposit on an apartment I am renting in the UK. All the information was correct. I then received an email from Xoom asking me to provide my most recent bank statement and more details on the purpose of the transfer. I provided all of this right away. The next email I received was from Xoom saying the transaction had been canceled.

On the phone, the Xoom rep and supervisor would only tell me that they were unable to verify my account (a verified account with Paypal and after I had sent a bank statement) but could not tell me why. It was a waste of time, and I will not try Xoom again. Follow-up: Immediately after posting this review I tried the same transaction using Wise.com and it went through.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

In September of 2020 in the middle of the Pandemic someone hacked my PayPal account from Indonesia and went into my bank account and did two separate money transactions. Luckily my banking institution noted this as a fraudulent transaction. However, this was very disconcerting to me and I immediately closed my PayPal account. However, the harassment from XOOM did not stop. They insisted that they wanted their money after my bank noted this as fraudulent. Even though they sent me an email that stated transaction was cancelled the emails continued. Xoom continued to push the bank to give them money from my account well into October of 2020.

On October 10th, 2020 they stated they were escalating this transaction through the Customer Verification Department. On 10/15/2020 I am still getting statement transactions trying to get their money. On 10/21/2020 they are still sending emails regarding PayPal so called binding arbitration. Supposedly this company was started by PayPal and I cannot believe that they allow this type of harassment to continue. On 10/22/2020 after I posted a review on BBB and Consumer Affairs XOOM sent a letter to me through the BBB. The gist of the message was that they were very sorry that my account was hacked and that my personal and financial information was compromised. They also stated that they were going to make sure that the account could not be used and closed as well as any collection activities would cease. However, this is not the case in the hear and now as I continue to get statements.

A year later September 2020 and I continue to get statements from XOOM even though they recognized they made a mistake and sent a letter of apology which stated they would close this fraudulent account. I just lodged another complaint with this company and this is what they said, "Thank you for reaching out to us about this concern. We're sorry to hear that. We’ve escalated your case to our Customer Verification Department so a specialist can assist you. You may also contact them directly at cv-requests@xoom.com." This message was sent on 8/18/2021. It is September 20, 2021 and I am still receiving statements from XOOM and no one has reached out to me. I am tired and frustrated with this whole process. I think everyone need to be aware of this problem.

Sincerely,

LC

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

On 6th August I ordered a cash pickup from my usual bank. I received a text message saying it was ready for pickup, went 3 times, teller said the funds were not available. I checked my bank account and the amount had been deducted 3 times. After several calls to Xoom, I received 2 refunds. More phone calls, promises of a final refund, but nothing came. Finally, I spoke to a very rude supervisor, who said the refund had been made, told me to contact my bank with a huge number of digits for a reference. My bank said they never hold funds. So, 37 days after the incident I haven’t received a penny, have spent several hours and pounds on phone calls, have been treated unsympathetically and rudely and Xoom still have almost £500 of my money. I am shocked, appalled and upset by their handling of my case. Xoom is fine until something goes wrong, even if it’s their error.

Xoom Money Transfer Company Information