3.53/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

A member of the PayPal family, Xoom has partnered with companies around the world to provide its users with safe and affordable money transfer options. Whether you’re looking to reload a phone, send money or pay bills for family and friends, Xoom has fast, easy and secure options for everything. Recipients can take advantage of their convenient global network and receive funds through direct deposit or by hand delivery. Visit their site today to explore all money transfer options!

906 Xoom Money Transfer Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: April 19, 2019

I left Western Union and switched to Xoom because of lowest fee in Xoom. Now I see that you have increased the fee from $4.99 to $5.99 within a month. Why??? Do you want me to go back to Western Union?

Get expert buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 17, 2019

This is an outstanding system for transferring money to other countries. And it is so fast. In sending to some countries, by the time I have sent the amount, logged out, then logged in to my foreign account, the money is already there. Just think how many US banks make us wait 3 days for a US transfer.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I could not be more happy with Xoom!! Make it easy for me every month to send money to my mom!! Also when I need to add money for a Tigo phone works amazing!! And every time I want to make a gift for one of my friends in Guatemala I use Xoom!! I love it!!

Original review: April 17, 2019

I tried first time online service. Believe me it's freaking fast, and reliable for me, I like it, I love it, recommend everyone how transfer money to other countries to their beloved ones. Trust me Xoom worth more than all other service available in USA.

Original review: April 17, 2019

My remittance to my son, Mark Anthony ** was received as scheduled in the amount I send. Thank you for your good service. This last few months, many are being victimized by cybercrime because I came to know that my daughter-in-law's neighbor and cousin were victimized. When they went to the bank BDO branch in Cavite, someone has already withdrawn their money. A big question mark. Hope this will not happen to me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Xoom Money Transfer?

Original review: April 17, 2019

I have used XOOM numerous times, and have only had one issue over the past few years. My transfers have been to the Philippines and China. The money is in the account in China within a minute or two after sending. I would highly recommend this service.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I am very pleased with the service that Xoom provides. I have my family in Colombia, and for me it is very important that my family receives the little money I can afford to send. Xoom service has been very precise, dependable and worry free to use! In the past, I have always used the traditional method to send money, and even though I have please with that service, Xoom is above that!!! Thank you very for the Outstanding Service. Jorge

Original review: April 17, 2019

So far my transactions have been smooth and easy. I even had a couple of times that something went wrong normally my side and they were very friendly on fixing my situations. Over the years only one time has there system been down so it's been a great way to send money to love ones and not leaving the house.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I have always used Xoom for years to send money to my family in the Philippines. I highly commend the excellent and speedy transfer and the transfer status notifications feature via text message or email. I like that there is a wide variety of options available for sending money in terms of currency (USD or PHP) and banks. It would be nice to have a single transaction fee per month (in case of multiple transfers in a month) for customers who send at least $500 in a single transaction per month. Thank you.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Xoom is my Money Transfer service of choice. I've had excellent experience with the speedy, fair delivery. The only thing one has to make sure is to correctly set the full name of the receiving party to make sure there are no problems in collecting. And the texts reporting the process all along is a great assurance that all is going well. I have great confidence in Xoom and have recommended it to my close ones.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Terrible service. Slow!!! Very unreliable company! This is not the 1st time I sent money and they freeze the funds, they take forever to deliver most of the times! Western Union is more reliable 100 times!

Original review: April 17, 2019

Great service and cheap transaction fees - Much better than Moneygram and Western Union. I used to pay $7-$11. With Xoom, I pay $3-$5 only. And the service and selection is as extensive the big two I mentioned above. Very satisfied!!

Original review: April 17, 2019

I was trying to be a friend and send Money because that person had given me a story that he was on the road and had a small accident. I send the money thinking it was to help out, couple of hours later I find out it was a scam/fraud that once friend started passing the phone to other people telling me it was more money or else he would have to be send to jail. I even had a suppose human resources lady talk to me in which she couldn't give me her office address.

I quickly called Xoom's customer service and did a 5 day investigation. Came back saying that they couldn't do anything because technically I did do that transaction. I don't deny doing it but as a victim of fraud the company should be a little more considerate. I've never been a victim of such I have all the information. Of who I send money to but that was your company's decision and stated I couldn't do anything. I'm currently under investigation with my bank. If I could I wouldn't add any star.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I recently bought some property in Pakistan and I wanted to send money to close my deal but Xoom took over 3 business days. My deal was canceled. Somehow I convinced the seller and sent the money again through Xoom but it is delayed. I called Xoom many times but I was very unsatisfied. Next time I will use wire through my bank but definitely not Xoom.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Apparently they feel able to ask you a whole bunch of questions about who you are sending to, how you know them etc. in order to process a transaction. If you decline to provide this information, no go. I have now told them to cancel my account and delete my personal information. Let's see how that goes.

Original review: April 5, 2019

I tried to do a simple money transfer from Canada to Germany, and was planning to do that on a monthly basis. Everything seemed to go smoothly but, because we don't get mail to our home address we have a PO Box. But they don't accept PO as address, so my house address went in. Got an email back to call to verify my address. So I did, then they want a copy of Drivers Licence and a copy of proof of address, so I did and NOTHING. I called back. Same thing I had to explain the mailing address and the house address, okay they said, but... nothing!!!! 3 days into the suppose to be easy money transfer, (the money should have been already in Germany) phone them again, same thing again, address. I canceled the transfer, this is a ridiculous service. I won't try to use them again!!!!

Original review: March 26, 2019

The transaction did not go thru, they email me to call 1800 935 7154 and a 414 number. I keep calling that number and after a few automated questions, the response was always the same that, "We are not available, call us later." Very poor service for transaction to India. Recommend "DONT USE IT."

Original review: March 25, 2019

I should receive a payment from the US (to Romania) via Xoom. The payment was initiated 5 days ago, and not until now neither me or my partner in the US didn't receive any email notifications about the transaction status or money status... When I've contacted their customer support center - both by email and phone, they told me they can't give me - the receiver of the money, any info about the transaction, but also neither my partner get any answer. I sincerely advise anyone in the need of abroad money transfers NOT TO USE XOOM - the worst financial service I've seen by now. Instead, use any other money transfer services out there.

Original review: March 24, 2019

I wanted to send a small amount (less than $400) to a party in Switzerland. Just like so many others, Xoom immediately took the money from my account and then began an endless series of requests for more "verification" including asking for picture of current picture ID. I sent it to them then they said they couldn't read it for some reason. The next morning I sent it again and they said they received it and could read it but it will now take two days before they can "verify" my bank account and they will let me know if they will complete the transaction. Keep in mind they already have my money in their account.

It appears Xoom is set up to get the first deposit of funds then hang on to it as long as they can before cancelling the transaction or sending funds. I think this service works well for transactions between the US and Philippines or Mexico but anywhere else BEWARE. I'll never use this scam site again. I still don't know what's happening to my funds!!

Original review: March 22, 2019

My husband finally tried to open an account to send USD to overseas country to pick up when he get to the country (we are dual residents). I mind you always sent money to him and he would go pick it up with no issues. After sending him the friend referral to our surprise he was called and told he had to send verification he did so should bank statement and US passport for ID and his verification was denied. Also they canceled the transaction. We tried to called and get explanation. Was told they can’t give that information super weird. Then the next day I tried from my account to transfer funds so he can pick it up in his name. My transaction was cancelled.

I sent over 10 transfers to my husband's name without any issues before. Now when he tried to get his own account there’s an issue. No one is allowed to say what’s the issue and he’s basically blocked from the service. A service he never used before beside pick up funds I sent to him. I’m writing and officially complaining to everyone. I feel the was Targaryen and discriminated against. I’ve sent money to myself before and I sent money to him without any issue. Supervisors don’t call you back for assistance and no one can give information - super unprofessional, sketchy and I’m very upset. Any suggestions for a better service?

Original review: March 22, 2019

I've used Xoom for about a decade. I usually send money to my church in the Philippines but also I occasionally send money to family and friends. Xoom unexpectedly closed my account when I attempted to send $75.00 to a friend who needed help with her son's school costs. All attempts to restart the account were unsuccessful. Xoom refused to give to give a reason for closing my account.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I send money home to AFRICA and wanted to try them and has the worse experience in money transfer with some weird rules on proof of identification after taking my money from my bank as if that was not proof. I have been using PayPal for years and they are no PayPal. I even hate to see their ad on my pc.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I send money frequently to both Peru and Mexico and have always been satisfied with the speed with which it arrives for pick up. The SMS notices sent to recipients at the time the transfers are arranged is a great way to notify them of the availability of the funds. I am very pleased with this service.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Set up an account (tried), to transfer a lousy $207CAD to Mexico. I normally use MoneyGram, but have used PayPal for many years with no issue. I thought I would give XOOM a try. What a mistake. First they send a reject email to verify my data. Wanted to know some real personal information that had absolutely nothing to do with my transfer. Then they wanted other information photocopies of Passport, Driver's license. To me it sent up red flags: This is all the data someone would need to steal your identity. When I asked where this data was being stored, I got a canned response about data security. I felt so uneasy I asked for the transaction to be canceled and my profile to be wiped. My advice, go with MoneyGram and stay clear of this data mining application.

Original review: March 17, 2019

This is the first time that I use Xoom for money transfer. They are claiming that they do fastest transfer, but in the end, it is more than 5 days, money is still not delivered yet. I strongly recommend using bank wire or Remitly services which is great conversion rate and much faster.

Original review: March 15, 2019

Well, my first and last use of their service was trying sending money to my girlfriend visiting Russia to buy a few things for me since we both found out that Russia is incredibly cheap country. They deduct the money, put the transaction on hold, then they send me an email that basically said that there are many scammers in Russia so I need to call to verify the transaction. I thought, ok, nice of them to try to warn the men falling for the scams and there would be no problem. My girlfriend last name is **, and sure when I can call them, they would clear the transaction.

Then I called them (they already took the money from my account by the way), a very condescending lady who couldn't really speak English talked to me about all the scams from Russia, then told me that she cannot authorize the transaction since she cannot verify that we have actually met each other and that we are not family. I then asked to talk to a supervisor, even more condescending and rude, told me the department made a decision and she is not going to overturn it and warn me again about the scams.

They canceled the transaction and hold my money for few days which I am sure they enjoyed the interest on. Then canceled my account since they said I violated their policy and no appeal is possible (Like I would have dealt with them ever again). I have never seen a more condescending ** my entire life. PayPal not only used a client, they lost a valued engineer whom they were trying to recruit for some time who would never consider working for them after this.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I tried to set up a Xoom account and send a single transaction to a family member overseas for a small amount of money. The transfer was from my bank account to their bank account. I was forced to go through a phone interview and then email a copy of my photo id and the next day my account was cancelled with no explanation. I'm not sure what the purpose of this service is since it apparently can't be used to send money overseas. They do excel at terrible customer service and not providing any direction or explanation of how to do things. I would post zero stars if possible. Don't even bother trying to set up an account, it's a total waste of time.

Original review: March 13, 2019

This is my first time using Xoom, I will never be using this service again. Just like others they asked me for photo ID and when I provided it they canceled my transaction then my account. MoneyGram and WU are so much more user friendly.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I initiated a transfer and I was told to upload my passport and an utility bill to prove identity. Which I did and then I received another e-mail saying my identity was not received and I again attached it and sent. I called customer service and they said my account is closed and they could not give a reason. I was told I will receive an e-mail. After few days I received an e-mail stating my account was closed and cannot be appealed. No one can explain why no reason was given. Customer service goes to Philippines and no explanations are given. Very frustrating experience.

Original review: March 9, 2019

I used them twice and I liked it because the remittance fee is low compared from other money transfer. But when I did send my money to them for the third time they cancelled my transaction because I need to send them government issued ID and proof of address. I did send them and I tried another transaction and again got cancelled and they didn't even bother to respond or explained why my transaction cancelled!

Xoom Money Transfer expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Xoom is a money transfer service that allows customers to send money from the United States to other parts of the world, including Central and South America, Asia, the Philippines and more.

• 24/7 customer support: Consumers with questions or problems can contact customer support by phone and speak with a customer service representative at any time, day or night.

• Referral rewards: Customers who recommend Xoom to a friend who makes a transfer over $400 will receive a $20 Amazon gift card. The new customer will receive a gift card too. There is no cap on the number of referral rewards a customer can receive.

• Bill pay: Any customer with a US-based payment source can pay utility bills in Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama and the Philippines. Fees are listed on Xoom’s website.

• Reload mobile minutes: All customers with a U.S.-based payment source can use Xoom to add minutes to their friends’ or family members’ prepaid mobile phones. Funds are immediately applied to the recipient’s phone, and Xoom will cancel any transaction that was accidentally sent to a contract phone that cannot be reloaded.

• App: Xoom’s app, available for Apple and Android devices, lets customers send money, pay bills or reload another mobile phone directly from their cell phone or other smart device. The app is free.

• Best for: Xoom is best for anyone who has a US bank account and needs to send money or pay bills internationally.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs