Xoom Money Transfer

Compare Money Transfer and International Money Transfer Services

Something happened at Xoom and I question if they actually exist anymore. I had a pretty positive experience before, even had the app on my phone. I've called them, emailed them and I get nowhere. They first suspended my account for unknown reasons and asked me to verify my information. Every time I change my password, it never lets me log in. I even tried through Facebook and got nowhere. I'm getting a little concerned about information I have on their servers. I think my experience is the same as many here. Come on, PayPal, you can fix this and know how. It's making PayPal look bad.

2 transactions never went through even though they appeared to. I called twice and spoke to 2 very unhelpful people who I could barely understand. They couldn't give me any information other than my info couldn't be verified. Then I was told my account had been deactivated. This company is retarded.

After two days of attempting to use XOOM to wire money to a friend in Brazil I'm honestly appalled with the process and their customer service. Yesterday I wired my friend $20 USD to Brazil where she lives and banks. This was a test to see how long the process would take before it was deposited into her account, since neither of us were familiar with XOOM. The good news, it took about a day but the exchange rate when I sent the money and the exchange rate of her deposit were different. Thus she received less money in her bank account! When I attempted to speak to XOOM's customer service about the issue, an agent (Jea) was very dismissive towards me. At one point I thought she had hung up on me, because she refuse to engage in the conversation.

Moving forward, I called my friend and told her what had occurred, but I was going process of sending her a lump sum $1300 (she had graciously traveled to the states to visit me and I felt obliged to reimburse her for the airline ticket she had purchased). So I submitted the transaction via XOOM using all the mandated boxes previously used. 20 minutes later I received a phone call from XOOM's verification department wishing to confirm my transaction - ok, no big deal! After all it's an innocent call. The agent begins by telling me that my friend's surname and middle name are incorrect! I told him, "No, its correct!" We go around and around until he finally concedes. Then suddenly the call becomes ominous and nefarious! The agent asked, "why am I sending the money", "what is my relationship with this person," and "how long have I known them?"

WOW!!! This line of questioning I would imagine coming from the US or the Brazilian government and if they thought there were anything surreptitious going on, I'm certain their questions would have been more discreet in obtaining what they would've needed to know? Again let's get perspective on what's going on here. XOOM is a third party "service company," not a Bank, not my Bank or my friend's Bank. Their questions had nothing to do with my security i.e., making sure I had given permission to release funds to an Brazil Bank? Instead XOOM's blatantly wanted to know what was my involvement with my lady friend (a 60 year retiree)? I felt both nauseated and angry; provoking me to cancel my transaction... I can also assure you I will no longer have any future business with XOOM's products or its usages!

So my Xoom account was deactivated or suspended due to inactive reasons and I thought to use it so the system won't let me in and I need to call them. So I called their customer care and they said "oh yes it needs to get verified. We are transferring to Verification department" and I said okay. Now that guy picked up. First he ask me name and address and stuff like that and then he ask me about my last transactions and I said everything correct. Then he said "now we will go through some series of questions." I said okay.

So he ask me my date of birth then my Social security, email address and then he was like "what is the closest hospital near to your house" - well I am an athletic so for me there is no reason to go to hospital and I just move here 6 months ago so how should I know that and top of that I have the best Medical group in US so I can go wherever I want to any hospital and they have to treat me. Now why should I care which hospital is closer?

So I request to pass question and he was like "no sir that's not possible." What a ** type of system. So after 8 question all the questions I answer including my Social Security, Email address how many transactions I did everything just this hospital question went wrong because I don't need to know about it. "No Sir you answer the hospital question wrong so you won't be able to use Xoom." I mean dude are you kidding me? I gave you my whole original Social Security Number. Now if you live in United States you would know how much Social Security is important. So they don't care whether other information is correct or not. You should know about your closest hospital. Looks like I need to leave my job and start working as postman so I can be more familiar with hospitals.

He ask me where you sent money in India, how often you use and everything I answer correct but he stuck on the hospital question which is totally stupid. A guy who holds best medical why the hell he even bother for closest hospital. So they said "now you can't use Xoom." After this a lot frustration. I just told him to cancel my account and delete the details. It doesn't sounds worth to me but I guess Xoom is the second name of Bunch Of Monkeys. I feel like I am insulting Monkeys by naming Xoom as monkeys. Even they are good than this guys. I literally don't want to give this one star and I wish if there could be negative ratings for this. Seriously horrible experience.

Recently I have initiated money transfer to my India account. They have cancelled my transaction without letting me know and not mentioned any reason why they have cancelled. When I called the customer care, they are expecting the bank statement now even after couple of successful transfers I had earlier. Also fed up with customer care like they are transferring the calls to one department to another and lot of explanation I have to give for every person to whom the call got transferred.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Xoom Money Transfer?

If I could give them a minus star I would. I used my PayPal account to log or try to log onto their system and it wouldn't let me. So, I created two accounts but each one got locked out as soon as I tried to send my money from a verified USA bank through PayPal to the Philippines. When I called I got all the standard answers of not being able to disclose why I could not only send money, but they locked my email addresses out of their login system so I could no longer use them. Wow. I can't believe PayPal hooked up with these guys. Wow.

I want to delete my account from Xoom.com but the website won't let me. I do not trust this company anymore as I dealt with them and realized they have no common sense. They might not guard my personal information on their website. On my last attempt to do business with them, they wasted too much of my time. I tried to get in touch with Customer Service and they won't respond nor acknowledge receipt of email.

I am filing a complaint regarding my money transfer that has not made it yet. I have called the customer service several times and also sent few emails but nothing seem to resolve the money transfer for which Zoom has taken out the funds from my bank account but as promised Zoom has not made the deposit to recipient's account. I initiated the transfer on 10/09/16 and today it is 10/15/16 with no answer or communication from Zoom. I am not sure what is happening with my fund transfer. It was intended for someone who desperately needed the money and that is why I selected Zoom for my transfer to help the needy person immediately.

Sorry to say that there is no one at Zoom to provide me with any answer. I am totally shocked by the poor customer service I have received so far. Maybe this can help. Thanks.

Been using Xoom for money transfers for a year until last week when we found a car and needed to move $6000 USD to our Bancomer account. Takes 6 transactions $999. At a time, Xoom said it was the maximum Bancomer would allow. 1 failed, 3 made it to the acct. Still waking after over a week for the other 2. Called multiple times and was told it's Bancomer requiring more information. Sent a picture of my passport, a screenshot of the bank withdrawals in USA. Still getting the robot "we're sorry for the inconvenience". Asked if I went to Bancomer and presented my ID would they release the funds then. Stammering answer, like nobody asks that, was the response. Never use them again period - too risky.

It's been a week and four days and Xoom.com hasn't delivered my money to my recipient. Neither have they giving me my money back yet. They keep saying that they have not heard back from their partners down there, so they can't give the money back or even give me a cancellation number. In the meantime the money was supposed to be for the purchase of a car, and since the money was never deliver the company is now treating to repossessed the car and we are also going to lose another $5,000 dollars that we put towards the car already.

Xoom.com has a very poor customer service, every time I speak to a representative they all sound like robots, repeating the same thing over and over again with no solution to where is my money. Also in the past they never delivered the money until four days later. So it's not true that they do same day or next day delivery. It's always four days or later. But this time it has been too long and all I want is my money back.

I used xoom corp. to transfer money from us to england on the 28th of Sep. 2016. The amount was 900 dollars. They sent me the confirmation. Also sent to tell the money was transferred to the bank acct. In england, 8 days later I was told the money was never transferred. Called xoom. I got some stupid answers then they ask me for the england bank acct. Statement. I sent all that they asked for and nothing happened so I called customer service and the answer was they are going to contact their affiliates. Another day went by and nothing resolved. I called again asking them to return the money to the us acct, or send it to england to a no reply from them.

It's the worst customer service. Really there is no customer service. So far I am out $909.99. Someone has to step in to stop this people and shut them down. I wish I knew that they are a paypal outfit before sending the money. Paypal operations is well known worldwide for scamming people worldwide. Warning do not use Xoom or any paypal affiliates.

Don't send money to Xoom. They charge. Fee is cheap but when Xoom receive US dollars and transfer to Vietnam money, I lost over $200 US. I try to send money to my cousin to Vietnam from my bank account. First they say they need my copy DL, then I told them go head and cancel the transaction. They said they did. But after that they withdraw my account twice. I don't know why they sent twice with same amount of money.

I call my cousin in Vietnam. He said he received money by Vietnam not US dollars. I call Xoom and try to talk to manager. I going to refund whatever they gave to my cousin. Just get it back or gave me. Their bank account in Vietnam, my cousin deposit back to them, they refuse. When my cousin transfer money by Vietnam to US dollars, I lost $200 dollars. I get so mad. I talk all people I know don't use their system. Xoom receive money in $ US but we receive dong in Vietnam. You lost the value of money, like they steal your money. I told them I will never come back to them. I lost $200. Learn my lesson in hard way.

Utterly diabolical how crap this service is and their verification process. They told me they needed more information to verify my identity after I filled out all their forms. So this is what I did. (I was in the UK trying to transfer money to a partner of mine in the UK from my US account whilst I was there as it had a better exchange rate than Chase just doing it normally):

I sent a bank statement with my address on of the account I wish to transfer money from. Had all my details, name, address, acct numbers - even all transactions of past month. I sent my passport. I got a person in the US to verify my identity. I told them who I am sending money to. I told them the relationship of who I am sending money to. I told them the purpose of why I am sending money. I told them the likelihood of me sending money again to them. I have spent 30+ minutes on the phone explaining all of the above which has blocked one "pay as you go phone" and cost 25+ on the other phone. They have seen how much money I have in my bank account (which is in my name) which is more than enough for this transactions. They still canceled it after all of this.

I signed up, thinking this would be an effective way to pay a charity in Pakistan that has produced goods for my organization. First, my account was put on hold, because you cannot use Xoom to send money to charities. Then I changed the recipient to an individual. My account was put on hold. I called to find out why and they asked for a passport and copy of my latest bank statement. Since Xoom is a Paypal company, I thought this was OK. Then I could not log in. Called to find out and basically they said my account was awaiting verification. Talked to verification and they said I could not be verified. Or, when pressed, that they were rejecting me. Then they kept asking "How else they could be of assistance". So I asked them to close my account.

They said it was "inactive!" Why can't they just say closed? In any case, since everything on me checks out, I am in good financial standing, own a home, have all my ducks in a row, what else do they want in a client. This was a total, total waste of time. I now feel better about those high bank fees. I pay for a service and I get it, unlike with Xoom. It's all advertising.

Using Xoom initiated Money Transfer on 09/02/2016 but so far the money not credited in my India Account. Called Xoom. Asked the reason they are doing FBI job in the name of verification. The money was withdrawn by Xoom long back. As per them the transfer might take another 4-5 days and they are not sure about the date of deposit. My sincere advise, please don't use XOOM. After PayPal merging, Xoom lost its pace.

On Labor Day 2016 I wired US$150 to a person outside the US via Xoom. About 30 minutes after I did the transaction, a Xoom customer service called me requiring information. The representative wanted to know my relationship with the recipient which I think it is not necessary because it has nothing to do with the security of the transaction. Then she asked me what previous transaction I have made in the past. I told her the first name and the first last name of my cousin to whom I wired money to Argentina in 2015. The customer service said that I had to tell her also my cousin's complete name (second name and second last name), which I didn't even remember (nobody in the family calls her by that second name).

For me to stop what I was doing and go to the internet to open xoom.com and read back my cousin's complete name, it is not only inconvenient, but it's also ridiculous, because if they really wanted to verify the authenticity of this transaction, they should have asked me for information about my bank account, or my personal information, because reading back to them the information that is in their website from where I just sent the money and where I have access to, it is just not verification. For that reason that so-called "verification process" is not a verification at all. I got upset and requested to speak with a supervisor who was equally intransigent.

I offered to provide more information about my bank account, specifically to send them evidence that it was in fact my account, but he refused, reaffirming his decision of canceling the transaction if I didn't give him my cousin's complete name. I finally stopped what I was doing and went to their website to get that information because a family member really needed the money and I didn't want to go out on a holiday to send it any other way. I feel that Xoom is not up to the standards of the financial institutions in the US. They need to review their verification protocol, and also give proper training to its customer service representatives. Starting with the supervisors. But it is probably ran from another country. No wonder it has only 1 star in the reviews. If it happens next time, I will just avoid the hassle and use Western Union.

They investigate us like they are from FBI. Asked very personal information. Once I gave them social security and all other information, three attempts happened to identity theft. Please never use this service.

Excessive retention for transfer. About 3 months ago I sent 3000.00 Us dollars to Colombia. The exchange rate was almost 3000 per dollar. Xoom only deposited 2,300.000.00 on my account. They charged me more than 200 dollars for the transfer plus the 5 dollars fee. XOOM IS A COMPLETE RIPOFF!!! I will never use it again!!!

I called 20 times and they give me stupid reason for my transfer being cancelled. No details for where the money is. Its stuck somewhere and send me to verification process if its my account and bank... LMAO. I have put all information and still asking me if its my account. ISNT that stupid. ** money transfer.

I am really stuck with this company. My client send me money on 5 Aug 2016 and I am writing this review today on 8 Aug 21:12. No money is transferred and they have given me a link to check status and it always say "current status DELAY". I don't know if the status will ever shift from Delay to Success, I wonder. I am saying them liar and fraud because on their website they committed the transaction to be done within 1-4 hours and many big promises. And what I get to know about them is they are real fraud. Stay away from Xoom seriously if you don't want any money related fraud. And remember there is no way to contact them.

Consumer Increased Rating!

On August 4, 2016, I posted a negative review on Xoom.com. Now I wanted to say the issue was positively resolved and they fixed what was wrong and I'm back using Xoom and I'm very happy because I've been using them for a long time, and to me, they are simply the best. Thanks, Xoom.com.

Henry of New York, NY on

Original Review

I sent to pay a bill with Xoom, and I admit the bill was late, then I sent someone to pay the bill in person, before Xoom did. So I asked Xoom to cancel the transaction and asked them for a refund. They claim they paid the bill but cannot provide proof. I showed them proof that I paid the bill before they did. They would not refund the money and instead sent me to collection and canceled my account. I spent long hours on the phone with them with no positive results for three weeks now. So now in collection they will probably hurt my credit. I don't know what else to do. I think all this after Paypal own this company cause they were good before so I believed.

Signed up on Xoom to send money to my nephew in Peru, did every step they asked for. Sent the money. Everything went smoothly. Then an hour later I received a call from Xoom to confirm my identity because the sum I sent was too high. It was $500.00. Went thru all the steps and at the end this guy told me it was not approved because it was too much money, and it was the first time I was sending money to Peru. Well my nephew was on vacation there. That's why it was my first time. Went to another place. Everything went smoothly and it was cheaper. Plus they left me without the money in my account for 24 hrs. What a horrible service.

I open an account with XOOM and sent money to Mexico and it went flawless in a very short period of time. Two days later wanted to send more money and they did not approved the second transfer. They wanted to have a copy of my Bank Statement and a copy of my driver's license. I believe that is illegal as they are not a bank. If it is legal, then I feel it is highly inappropriate to send that type of information to an entity that is not a bank. If someone is sending that information, it is at their own risk. Consumer be aware that someone can have access to your money if you disclose that information. I prefer to use another transfer organization, but not XOOM.

When I used Xoom to transfer money first time, everything was fine! So I decided to use it again after few months! Money went out of my account within seconds and it was finalized within 24 hours! But it was showing "In Transfer" till 2 days so I decided to contact Xoom! They said that "Their partner's system was down so it's taking longer for the transfer" and they will follow up and let me know the status! After 2 days I contacted them again and they told me that they are waiting for their partner to reply them! At that point I told them that I need to cancel this transaction since I need to send the money asap! But she called her Supervisor and after explaining him everything he said "I can't cancel your transaction because it already went through!" I said "but it didn't went through and it's still pending" and he started saying same thing again and again and talking loud and yelling back!

I have requested my Bank to refund but they said since the payment already went through, they have to request for the reverse and it may take up to 48 Hrs! I am just waiting and hope to get my money back. Xoom didn't do what they were supposed to do but also horrible customer service who are not trained to help you but just repeat one thing again and again! DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY.

I was using their money transfer since 6 years regularly and was using same accounts. The very recent transaction I did, I was expecting to get my money deposited in my account in 1 hour, but when I noticed till next day nothing happened and there was no communication informing me why there is a delay, I checked their website and whatever reason they were giving me was a **. Then I cancelled the transaction. Boom. Next thing happened was the money was withdrawn from my account after that and they say now it will take around 7-8 business day to get that money back in my account. They totally are no more fastest money transfer company and there are better player in the market now. They are simply no more Xoom.

I found Xoom through an online advertisement and I immediately signed up. My first two transactions went well, even though I was a bit disgusted by them asking me how is the recipient related to me and how often I would be sending money to them. My third transaction was cancelled and Xoom said it's because I needed to have my account verified. To verify my account, they requested a copy of a Government issued photo ID as well as, a copy of my most recent Bank Statement. I was shocked. I never heard of a transfer agency asking for these documents. I went ahead and sent them both. They confirmed they have received the documents, my account was verified and I can re-attempt the cancelled transaction. They also sent me an email confirming that my account was verified.

This morning I saw an email from them saying that my account was not verified and I would not be able to use their service. I asked what was wrong with my Government issued ID or my Bank Statement. They could not provide any answer. They have my personal information. Will it be misused and abused? I am presently seeking legal advice on this matter.

I was referred by a friend to Xoom as an alternate to Western Union for money transfers. I set up an account online as instructed by Xoom prior to sending money. After my account was fully set up I attempted to send money to a friend using my checking account. I immediately received an email confirming the transaction followed by a second email stating verification was needed and it would take 4 business days to occur. Today I received a cancellation stating they could not verify my banking information. I called the customer service line and got an employee in the Philippines would promptly told me that she could assist if I could verify additional information.

I answered all of the security questions (very difficult to do with a person who barely speaks English to the point I had to get her to spell the words she is trying to say), then she says I need to email a copy of my state issued drivers license and my recent bank statement showing account number and current address on it. Again, this was not a deal breaker yet... I let her know I could get the information to her in about 5-10 minutes, then she tells me that the information I send will be sent to San Francisco for review and that it could take additional time before approval???

She ask me what was the money for and I said to help bury a dead family member. I didn't mind the question but why would you ask anyone for all of this security information and have a person in a third world country answer the phone??? The person who answered my call has absolutely all of my banking and personal information and could share it throughout the Philippines! Horrible set up and extremely difficult to do business with. This is not an alternative to Western Union. I'd rather pay more than deal with idiots who don't understand sense of urgency!!! Email verified, order confirmation received, order placed on hold, transaction cancelled.

Xoom cancelled my transaction due to not meeting their regulatory and compliance policies. They didn't even informed me via email or text message about the cancellation. They even cut the money from my checking account and then they kept with them for 5 days to return. I called Customer Care about my refund, they keep on saying its bank polices restricting them to refund. They don't transfer as they advertise 4 banking hours, nowadays they were taking 4 business days to transfer. If we call them they will tell that my bank is not clearing the funds. But XOOM will take money next day itself but it takes another 3-4 days to transfer money. They take money from us and keep with them for 3-4 days and do rotate the money for their own gains. I better say call them WORST PLACE TO TRANSFER rather than fastest money transfer service. NEVER NEVER USE XOOM! It's like SCAM and CHEAT FUND Company.

They let my first transaction go through with no problems. The next one, which was considerably smaller, was cancelled. I spoke with many "customer services reps" (used loosely), went through their questions to verify who you are (gets annoying after the third or fourth time talking with them). They said I needed to send them documentation to do a "customer verification". I send them a copy of my driver's license, bank statement and pic of my debit card. Then I get an email that said I am in violation of their "USER AGREEMENT" (again used loosely). I feel violated by their requests and still no service. Use MONEYGRAM or WESTERN UNION. I hope Xoom and PayPal fail.

Please do not go by their 4 hrs transfer promises. I got deceived not once but twice. First time the transaction took 2 days and when I contacted the customer support they told me it was some technical issue. This time I had an emergency and I chose Xoom in spite having better rates with other service providers going by their immediate or 4 hrs promise. I never received the amount even after a whole day and when I contacted the customer support they say it's a RBI holiday in India and next two days being weekend I would get the money only by Monday. First as I checked there was no RBI holiday as per RBI calendar. Second I made the transaction early India business hours and there was no way it could have been held up. Third my bank account was already verified as I had done transactions with the same acct before.

Even if they are not lying about this RBI holiday aren't they supposed to provide that information to the customers? Completely embarrassed by Xoom with lack of funds back home for emergency. I do not know how their system works but they are definitely cheating around making lots of fraudulent money at our expense. They bring the customers on false promises. Never go with their services.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Xoom is a money transfer service that allows customers to send money from the United States to other parts of the world, including Central and South America, Asia, the Philippines and more.

• 24/7 customer support: Consumers with questions or problems can contact customer support by phone and speak with a customer service representative at any time, day or night.
  • Referral rewards: Customers who recommend Xoom to a friend who makes a transfer over $400 will receive a $20 Amazon gift card. The new customer will receive a gift card too. There is no cap on the number of referral rewards a customer can receive.
  • Bill pay: Any customer with a US-based payment source can pay utility bills in Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama and the Philippines. Fees are listed on Xoom’s website.
  • Reload mobile minutes: All customers with a U.S.-based payment source can use Xoom to add minutes to their friends’ or family members’ prepaid mobile phones. Funds are immediately applied to the recipient’s phone, and Xoom will cancel any transaction that was accidentally sent to a contract phone that cannot be reloaded.
  • App: Xoom’s app, available for Apple and Android devices, lets customers send money, pay bills or reload another mobile phone directly from their cell phone or other smart device. The app is free.
  • Best for Xoom is best for anyone who has a US bank account and needs to send money or pay bills internationally.

Compare Money Transfer and International Money Transfer