4.0/5 (508 ratings)

About Xoom Money Transfer

Xoom is an international money transfer service administered by PayPal that works from your phone or computer. You can send money to more than 70 countries and deposit to a recipient’s bank account or arrange cash for pickup or delivery. Xoom also offers international mobile phone reload and bill pay. You can get status updates by text or email. Xoom offers a money-back guarantee if your transfer does not get to the recipient. Customer service is available 24/7.

Pros

• Money-back guarantee
  • Deposit, cash pickup or delivery
  • Lower fees for PayPal customers
  • Live customer support

Cons

• Higher fees for credit/debit funding
  • Daily, monthly and six-month limits

Bottom Line

Xoom is a simple way to send money abroad from your home computer. It can be pricey to send funds by debit or credit card, but many bank account or PayPal account transfers have no fee or lower fees.

Top Xoom Money Transfer Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Just sent money using this service second time… I loved this service. It's fast with very low service fee and hassle free. The first page gives you all information about the conve...

Verified

Xoom has been my go to service for money transfer to India. It has improved a lot over the years. Initially it used to take a couple of day, then up to 4 hours, and now instantly....

What does Xoom do?

Xoom is a money transfer service. Its services are available online from your computer, tablet or smartphone, so you don’t have to visit a money transfer location. You can link multiple accounts and use a bank account, credit card, debit card or PayPal account to fund transfers. Xoom offers three levels of service:

• Level 1 allows bank deposits or cash pickups of up to $2,999 in 24 hours and up to $9,999 in 180 days.
  • Level 2 has a limit of $10,000 in 24 hours for bank deposits and cash pickups and a limit of up to $30,000 in 180 days.
  • Level 3 allows bank deposits up to $50,000 in 24 hours and up to $100,000 in 180 days.

Xoom transfers typically take two to three business days but can be expedited depending on the payment type. Large amounts require additional processing time.

How does Xoom work?

To sign up for Xoom services, you need to provide the recipient’s name. The company may also request additional information, including your:

• Account information
  • Address
  • Phone number
  • Banking info (if you’re making a deposit)
  • Social Security number
  • Passport (or green card/driver’s license)
  • Proof of address (e.g., utility bill)
  • Bank statement
  • Pay stub

Large money transfer amounts require additional verification.

How much does Xoom cost?

Fees for sending money by Xoom vary by amount, payment type, delivery type and country. For example, to send $200 to Mexico costs $2.99 if you use your PayPal or bank account. If you send $200 cash for pickup to a recipient in Mexico, the fee is $3.99 for all payment types.

To send $1,000 to a bank account, the PayPal and bank account fee is $0, while debit or credit card funding will cost $3.99. To send $10,000 to a recipient’s bank account in Mexico by debit or credit card, fees jump to $251.49. But the fee is still $0 if you use PayPal or your bank account.

Xoom FAQ

Is Xoom safe for money transfer?
Xoom is a service of PayPal, a widely trusted company. Transactions are encrypted and your information is not shared. Xoom is a VeriSign-secured site that is federally regulated. If your money does not reach the recipient, Xoom offers a money-back guarantee.
How long does a Xoom transfer take?
Many transfers are available right away — if you have an existing PayPal account, cash pickup could be ready for the recipient in minutes, but your initial Xoom transfer might take two to three additional business days to verify if you don’t use PayPal. Large amounts might require additional processing time, depending on the payment and delivery methods.
How do I receive money from Xoom?
You can receive money by bank deposit, cash pickup or cash delivery (not available in all cases).
What is the limit on Xoom?
The limit on Xoom transfers depends on the country, financial partner, service level and delivery type. The maximum amount you can transfer from the U.S. in one bank deposit transaction is $50,000.
Is Xoom a good way to send money?
Xoom is a convenient way to send money without visiting a bank or money transfer location. Services are available online. Xoom offers a money-back guarantee if the funds do not reach the recipient.
How much does it cost to send money through Xoom?
Xoom fees depend on amount, delivery type, payment type and country. Higher transfer amounts have higher fees. PayPal customers pay $0 in fees on transactions funded with a PayPal account. You can visit the website, plug in your country and the amount you want to send to see the fee.

Is Xoom safe?

Xoom is an international money transfer service administered by PayPal, a trusted company. You can use its encrypted website to send money to over 70 countries. While fees can be high for sending money from your debit or credit card, Xoom does not charge fees for transfer from your PayPal or bank account. If you don’t have time to visit a bank or money transfer location, it's convenient to use Xoom from home. For customers who need to pay bills for their families abroad, Xoom also offers bill pay and mobile phone reloading service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Xoom Money Transfer?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

First they claimed that the transfer was made but would only provide an internal confirmation number not an actual banking transaction code. Then they change the story and say the transaction was rejected and they will process a refund later. When I ask both PayPal and Xoom why of the transaction was rejected a refund was not processed automatically? Nobody has been able to answer me...they just blame each other. In the meantime my money is not in either of my accounts.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2022

I sent money through this company for many years, because it is fast in shipments a little more expensive than others but safe, now I have been having problems with all my transactions for several months now, they cancel the transactions without giving answers and they delay them lying to me that it is problems of the receiving bank, if that were the case I think, my money would have been withdrawn from my account, but it was not the case in any of them, customer service does not solve anything and they even offer to cancel the transaction if you do not want to wait for the I decide that they take. It's frustrating every time that happens to me, they have become like Western Union, irresponsible and liars.

Get buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2022

I've had my Xoom account for several years, and and I have a long history with sending money to the Philippines and to Columbia. Xoom cancel my transactions for this month And then banned me because they had an issue with one of my recipients.. Let me say that again. I did nothing wrong it's my money I sent to someone that they didn't like and they banned me. Many people will only tell you half of the story. I'm telling you the entire story. I've never done anything wrong, all my money is legitimate, and I'm helping friends whom I know personally have met in person in foreign countries. These are not large amounts of money and I have never claimed that there was any type of fraud. This is unacceptable on many different levels but it's their platform and they can do business with whom they like. I wouldn't recommend them.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2022

I had an issue with my recent transfer. By mistake I sent money to a wrong account (ICICI India). I immediately requested for the money reversal process. That's when it all started. Looks like Xoom is tied up PNB (Punjab National Bank) for all their transactions to India. When I requested for reversal they have initiated the process with them and They are saying PNB is requesting for update from ICICI bank. I have called nearly 20 times in last 80 days to get update on the transfer and I always get a default response from Xoom. They simply read what they see on the screen and give false promises such, "We will call PNB and provide you update next day," but I never received a communication from them. I fed up with the process and directly reached out Indian bank account ICICI to inquiry about this. They told me that they did the reversal to PNB on August 5th. Also sent an email confirmation to them.

When I tell the same thing to Xoom they said, "We do not have any update from PNB." Seems like they are trying to scam and take the money back. One of customer representatives told me these requests will take 90 days. After 90 days if PNB doesn’t respond they won’t give my money back. Which is ridiculous. I am not going to leave till I receive my amount back. On top of everything they have the worst customer support team. They should really spend money on improving their customer service. I will never use Xoom and I don’t recommend anyone using this. On top of everything they have the worst customer support team. They should really spend money on improving their customer service. I will never use Xoom and I don’t recommend anyone using this.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2022

I have had a PayPal acct for years. Tried to send funds through Xoom and because I asked why they need to know my relationship of recipient and reason for sending money they permanently cancelled my acct stating only that my acct could not be verified. I did not refuse information. I simply asked why they needed to know those two things when I have provided all documentation of who I am. DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE!!

Original review: July 31, 2022

Be aware of this company. They cancelled my account permanently. I called them and they said they decided to cancel for security AND denied to let me know the exact reasons. (Of course they did withdraw the money from my bank account and kept it for a few days.) Beside doing a normal/regular transfer to my home country, I did NOTHING else. Be careful before.

Original review: July 30, 2022

I am traveling in Europe. I answered all their questions and sent the money to my friend 2 days prior to leaving. Everything seemed fine. After I get to Europe, I got an email to call them. I spend $30 to get a new sim card with phone time and called them. I sat, went through extensive teleprompts and sat on hold an extended period. I answered all the questions and it seemed it would be done. Then I got an email asking for a copy of my driver's license. I paid $100 for a VPN to send it securely and I sent it. Then wait another day...now they want my bank statement. This of course is none of their business and I started to wonder if they are the scammers. A week after initiating the transaction I have spent $130 and received nothing. They are not running a business but are running an inconvenience system. I worked in banking for 30 years and know what is necessary and reasonable. Don't use this service.

Original review: July 6, 2022

I have been using PayPal for many years, in the the past few weeks they have stopped numerous transactions and requiring extremely detailed information and they still refused to send the money I need to send. I am sending money to a family member for my niece for her college tuition and also for another family member that has died and I am trying to help with funeral expenses.

Paypal has now terminated my account on the grounds and I quote: "It is a violation of Xoom’s User Agreement to use the service for any of the following activities, including but not limited to: sexually-oriented materials or services; gambling activities; or commercial transactions that involve tobacco, firearms, prescription drugs, or other controlled substances. What part of a funeral and college tuition is involved in any of that? Xoom is making accusations and alleging I am committing these acts, when in fact the allegations are completely false. I know for a fact I am not alone in their slander campaign against honest law abiding people. I am only trying to help out family members. I am currently seeking legal advice and if you have been affected by the Xoom slander campaign you should seek legal advice as well to clear your name.

Original review: June 16, 2022

Xoom will not transfer money to a business account in Mexico and they cannot transfer to Banco Azteca. Their user interface and customer service does not provide clear information or implement restrictions introduced by the receiving countries, resulting in delayed or cancelled transactions. I’ve used Xoom for years without problem to transfer from the US to a Mexican bank (BBVA Bancomer) but since mid 2021 they have been highly unreliable. Xoom blames it on their “partner” which restricts amounts transferred, require extra information such as bank statements, introduce long delays in the transfer process and even cancel transfers because transfers exceed limits set by these “partners”. These apparent limits are much lower than the published Xoom limits but there is no documentation on what these limits are.

Xoom customer service provided information on the limits in response to my email query. Something like US$600 per transaction and US$1,000 per month though I successfully transferred $5,000 in a single transaction. Apparently these limits were not built into their web operations. Earlier transactions triggered an investigation of money laundering which required exactly the same documentation that Xoom’s “partner” had required me to send them. My most recent transaction was cancelled without explanation. When I enquired why, I was told because I didn’t send my supporting documentation quickly enough. I sent it the same day that I received the email request.

As with most of my transactions requiring additional documentation, I was sent an email on the day I initiated the transaction saying that their “partner” had detected an issue which may result in a “short” delay. It then took a week for the follow-up email asking for more documentation. When I pointed out in the latest transaction that I had responded immediately to the request for more information xoom changed the reason for the cancellation to “the recipient was unable to receive funds”. The format of these customer service email responses is always close to identical with only the reason being different. It suggests that a computer rather than a human being is responding. None of these problems have arisen with wire transfers arranged through my US bank or with another online transfer service I have recently started to use in place of Xoom.

Original review: June 14, 2022

I sent two sets of money transfers for cash pickup to Sierra Leone West Africa. I received emails that both transactions were ready for pickup. The first transaction which was for $50 was made 5 days ago. When the recipient went to pick up the money today he was informed that the money was not ready even though my Xoom status is showing the money available for pickup.

I called Xoom and they informed me that it was ready; after insisting that they investigate the agent then said that there is a hold in the transaction because of activities at their partner bank, and that the bank was not open until 8:00 a.m. California time. Later in the day this issue became compliance review; keep in mind that I am discovering this information while my recipient is at the location to pick up the money! The same thing happened with the other transaction - approximately $2,000. I struggle to understand how Xoom can send email that the funds are available for pickup while compliance investigations are ongoing, resulting in and causing humiliation, aggravation and lost time for the recipients and me. Here 12 hours later both transfer are still showing available for pickup then though they are not.

Xoom Money Transfer Company Information