1.20/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

A member of the PayPal family, Xoom has partnered with companies around the world to provide its users with safe and affordable money transfer options. Whether you’re looking to reload a phone, send money or pay bills for family and friends, Xoom has fast, easy and secure options for everything. Recipients can take advantage of their convenient global network and receive funds through direct deposit or by hand delivery. Visit their site today to explore all money transfer options!

356 Xoom Money Transfer Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I have NO IDEA how PayPal is so efficient and Xoom is so useless. It doesn't make any sense to me at all whatsoever. I provided so many evidences for verification, just for one person to say this is right and another one to say it's wrong. Very inconsistent, asks the same questions over and over and over after you have answered them, half their staff seems confused. I've never been so stressed out at attempting to use a new service.

Get expert buying tips about Money Transfer and International Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I was initially so impressed with Xoom, because of their instant money transfer internationally. However, after 3 months, the impression and quality of service deteriorated. Unfortunately, this might sound very weird. Even I could not believe on their behalf of what happened. Firstly, I started with my debt card transfer to an account in India. After, 3 months, these transfers weren't going through, because the Xoom always said it was an invalid code. I called customer care and verified on their information of why does it say that invalid when all my information remains correct. Xoom customer care tell me that, "the security code of my debt card has been expired. I should request for a new security code (CVV code)." I was mortified. How is this possible! Suddenly, my 5 star impression went down to 3 star. Now, I assumed it is something got to do with a bank.

Nowadays, they might have new rules to authenticate and on the same manner to align with, they have asked us to change CVV code often by requesting a new card. Now, the story gets more interesting as I call my Bank (Bank of America). They say, there is no such thing as a new CVV code request and the transaction did not happen since I entered incorrect data. Here it is, there is something fishy with Xoom user interface and it didn't allow any funds to be processed. And now, I wanted to go ahead with transfer from bank account, but, this too did not favor me. It took 3 business days to process. I am so disappointed with Xoom and now moved to another website for money transfer. I was so much impressed with Xoom and its reliable parent company PayPal, but everything went down the drain and my review went down to 1 star for the days I enjoyed so much in supporting my family.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I submitted a transfer of $100 online. Apparently, it went through until I received an email telling me they had to verify the transaction. I answered all their questions, including what the person receiving the money was going to do with it (which is none of their business). I had signed in to Xoom through PayPal, therefore they had all my information. Then they said I had to send a copy of my driver's license and the latest copy of my bank statement. That's where I drew the line. The conversation was very unpleasant, they made me feel as if I had committed a crime. The woman got very nasty when I told her I would not be using their services in the future. I WOULD NOT ADVICE ANYONE FROM USING THIS SERVICE UNLESS YOU WANT TO SUBMIT TO THIS HUMILIATING TREATMENT.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I send money internationally about 6 times a year and was delighted when I saw PayPal now had a service. WELL I’m NOT any more. I initiated my first transaction on 9/13. On 9/14 I received a call from Xoom for security verification. It took two calls and an email from me with a bank statement and ID. It was all done on 9/14 at 8:01 pm. I got notice today 9/18 the money hadn’t been received and when I called Xoom the transaction was cancelled because they claim to have not gotten documents. No notification of cancellation. I had to call.

They kept me on the line for 10 minutes or so then had a hard time finding a supervisor for me to talk to. I got sick of hold and hung up. The same CSR called me back and put me on hold again for a supervisor. No one came to the phone so I hung up. This is not what you should expect from PAYPAL. Use Walmart or Western Union and save yourself lots of time and energy. Paying the extra money is worth it!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I will never use XOOM again!!! They canceled my transaction without informing me. I provided the documentation that the Verification Customer Service Representative, the third one I spoke with that day requested. We walked through the process together to remove my first card; they needed either a PDF file copy of the statement or photos of the paper copy plus a valid picture identification, Government issued, which was provided.

The transaction went through. I requested text message updates, but received none. I got no phone call, email, text informing me of the cancellation. And when I called the XOOM Verification Customer Service Department several hours later, they could not find the paperwork I had previously sent. Both the Representative and the manager were more concerned about obtaining a PDF version of the card I used, regardless of the many times I told them that I did not have the account online; I received paper statements.

The manager did not follow through on sending the information to the corporate offices like he told me, to see if it would be approved; the reason the transaction was canceled, and why I needed to be verified. The manager said that was against their policy to say. I spoke with five representatives in the Verification Department. I received different replies every time, except for everyone stating that they NEEDED a PDF version of the card statement. This was the most exasperating, discouraging, and taxing experience in a long time!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Xoom Money Transfer?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Xoom is owned by PayPal. I have been a PayPal customer for 20 years and have made thousands of purchases using PayPal without a single problem. They know all about me and my bank account. I set up a Xoom account 4-5 years ago and made a single transfer to Canada. Today, I attempted to make another transfer and was told that the transfer had to be put on hold while it was being verified. I received a call informing me that I needed to submit a copy of a valid, government-issued ID and a copy of my bank statement. I submitted this information within 10 minutes and then called Xoom to confirm that they received it. They confirmed that the documentation was received and told me that it would take up to one business day to review.

In addition to the call, I received an email message indicating that the transfer was put on hold pending verification. The email also indicated that the transfer would be canceled if Xoom was unable to verify the transaction. I later attempted to log into my Xoom account to check whether the transfer had been clarified, but was unable to do so. I received a generic error message. I then requested that a link be sent to me to reset my password, but never received an email with a link. I checked my Spam folder and there was no email from Xoom. I then requested a link be sent to me again for a second time, but the result was the same.

I then called Xoom to ask about my password and was told that my User ID had been restricted while the transfer was being reviewed. I understand why I shouldn’t be allowed to make another transfer while one is being reviewed, but I should be able to log into my account to check the status of the verification. When I asked the telephone rep how I was supposed to know whether the transfer had been successfully verified, I was told that I would be sent an email. This information and the information about my account being restricted were not communicated anywhere.

Several hours later, I received another email indicating that my account could not be verified AND that my account had been canceled. There was no information in the email regarding why the transfer was not approved and why the account was canceled. So, I called Xoom again and was given the lame excuse that such information could not be provided for security reasons. Within minutes of finishing my conversation with Xoom, I logged into TransferWise.com and was able to successfully initiate the transaction without any problems. The bottom line here is that Xoom is extremely unfriendly to customers, provides a poor user experience and will probably be out of business soon if it doesn’t change the way it treats customers. Don’t waste your time with Xoom. Use an alternative such as Transferwise.com.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

After numerous phone calls and emails my funds are still not transferred 1.5 weeks after initial date of intended transfer. They continue to request multiple pieces of information including identify documentation and bank statements which all were promptly sent only to be contacted again days later to request the exact same documentations. I will be utilizing alternative means to transfer money as this is one of the worst customer service experiences I have encountered from a banking/money transfer entity in a long time.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

If you want to zoom your money transfer, do not use this service. Lengthy process verifying identity and bank statement. Very bureaucratic and archaic scripts for call center employees who are not helpful. If I want to expedite the process I need to verify what amount they are pulling out of my account. Lots of meaningless emails and phone calls over what should be an immediate simple transfer. Too many steps, too much time. Very frustrating, will never use again.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Be very careful, if you have an emergency do not use this service, is very bad in customer service, I was trying to send money from my account in the USA to my account in Colombia and for 11 days they told me lies, they don't matter me if you need to make an urgent transfer. Xoom is the worst service. They do not care, no matter how much you send the evidence, in the end, they tell you anything to justify why they did not want to provide the service. #xoom #liars #worstservices #xoommoneytransfer #XoomCorporation #worstcustomerservices

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I sent the first transaction of $900 and everything looked good until my wife went to collect the money. I was told to wait for 24 hours for them to process. I was patient thinking there was something going on but 48 hours later, the agent says it takes 24 hours to process and I see that your issue hasn't taken that long. She sounded like she was reading a script not answering my questions. Every time I called, it sounded like the same person with the same answer. Horrible customer service and lies. No explanations. Be careful dealing with this company.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Xoom looked so easy! I was able to fill out a money transfer in a matter of minutes. I needed to transfer money for a tour. The order was on its way, it looked good, until I got a message that my order was canceled. It turns out that because I am not related to this person or they are a friend, they would not allow me to make this order. I am so upset... They are a horrible company. Watch out!!!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

After we opened Xoom account, & processed a small money transfer to my sister-in-law in Mexico, Xoom canceled our account without giving us any reason at all. So we assumed the transaction was canceled as well. (A rather logical assumption, wouldn't you think?) We went back to Walmart and processed the money transfer. We've been doing these kind of transfers to help my wife's family for many years at Walmart, never with any issues or problems - it just takes more time to stand in line & deal with the forms at Walmart. 15 days later, we got an email from Xoom that the money was not picked up!!! How could they continue to process a transaction after they closed the account, and never notified us??? I only put 1 star because a minimum of 1 star was required. XOOM'S POLICIES AND PRACTICES ARE UNETHICAL AND DISTURBING!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

Xoom advertised that in four hours money will be delivered to the recipient, trusted and sent the money on Sep 5, 2018, as of today Sep 7, 2018, my recipient didn't get the money, I called to find out, the staff said to me it is on verification. I am not sure what kind of verification they want to do and three days? I will never try to send anymore and will not refer any of my friends. Even it is little more service charge I would send money through Western Union.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I tried many times to transfer money with Xoom, and each time my request got rejected. After calling to inquire why my requests got cancelled, they refused to give me an explanation. Don't waste your time with this company. There are many other businesses that are willing to work with their customers, and Xoom certainly isn't one of them.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Been using Xoom for six (6) years since August of 2012. What I've read here happened to me too, however, if you just follow instructions and provide needed documents, Xoom approves your transaction. Xoom, so far, is the fastest, cheaper, and secure way to send money to 132 countries all over the world. No offense, if you just talk to the customer service nicely, they truly help you a lot. Wish everyone hadn't experience such with Xoom. More power to Xoom and keep up the good work!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

Easy enough to sign up to use through PayPal. But once you're in and try to send money, you get barraged with emails and phone calls looking for verification. If you wanted verification to send $50 abroad, then do so on sign up or before taking my money. I can't exactly fund terrorism with $50, nonetheless I can understand and appreciate the need or desire to verify, but ask for it upfront, don't bait and switch me, to now make copies of my ID AND BANK STATEMENTS, and then put me on a call with someone I legitimately can't hear or understand. When asked to cancel my transactions, I now have to go to other departments, and still prove who I am, so that I can cancel a transaction I wasn't allowed to make? **. (:

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

Tried to send $300 to an elderly relative in Eastern Europe. Surprisingly everything seemed pretty fast and forward. I received e-mail with confirmation that transaction was processed and instructions how the money could be withdrawn cash with list of authorized providers. Well, my relative visited 3 "authorized" Easy Pay providers in the town just to find out the security code is non existent and there is no sign of the transaction. She never got any money, got tired frustrated and disappointed. Don't waste yours and the other's party time with this scam.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

One transaction was put on hold for verification. Asked them to cancel as I didnt want to wait for transfer verification. However, without any intimation they blocked my Xoom account too. When I asked them about reasons, they asked me to send several documents for verification. After sharing all of them they told me transaction cant be progressed. When I told them I dont care about transaction - just wanted to unlock my online account (that contains my own information). Without explaining any reason, they kept on telling me due apparent security reasons they arent able to do anything and my information will be secure! There is no way to complain or escalate either!!! In happy day scenario everything remains fine, when there are issues, Xoom has absolute useless customer service.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

Very disappointing... They should stop advertising their product on TV. In fact they should be BANNED. Wasted my time answering their stupid questions and verification process, After providing all the information they denied my transaction and they don't have any explanation. STAY away from XOOM and don't waste your time. Thanks.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I can see from reading the other Xoom reviews that my bad experience with them appears to be pretty common. I thought the fact that they are affiliated with PayPal gave them some credibility, but NO. I had to call them to prove I am who I am, send in a photograph of my passport and bank statement, as well as answer many intrusive questions that were frankly none of their business. It was frustrating and humiliating. Why PayPal would have anything to do with this company baffles me.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I simply wanted to transfer money from my US bank account (savings from a job in the US) to my German bank account. It took XOOM 6 days (4 working days) to complete the transaction, I had to answer tons of questions, I had to provide many documents and information (even contract and paychecks of my previous employer in the US etc.) and I had to PHONE them at a US number with my German mobile phone, and was endlessly waiting in line which had cost me probably more money than a regular bank transfer would cost. Although I had registered with the GERMAN XOOM service.

On phone they were asking me question like, "Do you plan to send your family money, like your brother, sister or mother, do you plan to send money more frequently," etc. Stuff that really is none of their business... AND they had already received the money from my US bank while they were still asking me all kinds of questions... mailing me first that they will proceed with the transaction, then mailing me 1 minute later they will not raise the daily limit, then telling me 10 minutes later I had to phone with them... so I am very unhappy with the service, plus their exchange rate is lower than the actual rate and probably quite comparable with what regular banks charge you. Will never try that again.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Well, I wish I could even begin to describe the hassle to try sending money. On the website it looks so simple, but when you actually do it, you get hounded by numerous phone calls, emails to verify your information, I went as far as sending them my driver's license and bank statement copies. And even after all that they managed to deny the transaction saying that "system" wasn't able to verify my information. I have never been denied any security verification in my life. After being "banned" for ever sending money using Xoom again, I asked my relative to send it. Same exact outcome... It's totally ridiculous, as no explanation is given on why verification is not being met. Looking at the reviews I'm pretty sure they will not be in the business for very long. Definitely not the best decision by PayPal to get involved with Xoom. Very disappointing...

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

This Money Transfer is like everything else connected to PayPal. Greed governs every move. You can go to many other companies. Transfer money quickly efficiently and for a reasonable sum. Not with Xoom, they charge $19.95 per transfer, I don’t know any other service that even changes $10 or more. Then on the first transfer you will get called with 50 questions most of which are ridiculous. Then when you go to transfer again a few weeks or month later you are rejected with no explanation. So then you have to call, once again many more questions, put on hold, many more questions, put on hold then told you have to be transferred to a review manager.

Many more question, put on hold, many more questions, put on hold then I am told that they will not allow any more transfers until I mail in my most recent bank statement for review. Are you kidding me? I sent $245.00 and was charged $39.90 to send it by PayPal/Xoom. What an aggravating rude invasive rip-off. Do not go to Xoom for anything. I changed to Sharemoney. They charged me $13.90 to send $1,000.00, were polite, efficient and very user friendly. I deleted the Xoom app and would not go back to them if they offered their rude service for $3.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Stay away. I was trying to send money from my Bank in USA to a Bank in Canada. My transfer was declined. I called and they asked me several intrusive questions which were very irritating. They have no right to question why I am sending money. None of their business. Just to avoid trouble, I gave them a reason and they sent me an email to provide them with my bank's latest Statement along with a Valid ID. I did and then they find an excuse that the information I provided is not current or clear. I asked them to be specific and then they sent back the same email repeatedly. I eventually asked them to disregard my request. Mailed out a check to Canada and walked away. Totally Useless company. Stay Away.

Original review: July 23, 2018

I'm just trying to transfer 15 dollars from an American to a Chinese bank card. It's been over 28 hours now. When I call the customer service they say they are experiencing a difficulty and they don't know how long it will take. The price is too high. This is a really bad company.

Original review: July 23, 2018

I did not know the company Xoom.com and I'm just a frequent PayPal user; however I have an account in Bank of America what I leave with a value for some emergency because I have export business; when I went to consult the account for a payment there was practically none value and were withdrawn by shipments from the unknown beneficiary. I have not even registered in this company Xoom.com and she refuses to give me data of this operation. The company has a link with PayPal, from where someone probably got my bank details for this operation. Very careful with both companies...

Original review: July 17, 2018

I am a long time PayPal customer and I was using this Xoom to send money to my Fiancée in the Philippines. I sent a $100 to see how long it took and everything was fine. I increased the amount to $1200 and received an email to call customer service. They then grilled me by asking a lot of personal questions about the purpose of the transfer. I understand about fraud but at the same time Xoom should only ask question to determine identity. The next day I received an email without explanation refusing the transaction and closing my Xoom account. In the email they virtually accused me or the recipient of fraud. Xoom needs to review their verification process. I will never use them or PayPal again. This is wrong on so many levels.

Original review: July 14, 2018

I called customer service again and again, poor service and they ask for confidential information that is easily lost. I had a very bad experience with this company!!! ** Better Not Call. Verification and Compliance. I just need verify my Identity documents in airport or bank! :)

Original review: July 7, 2018

I have been using Xoom service since last couple of years. But today I found Xoom service is not at all secure. Let's say if anyone's bank details is disclosed for some reason then any 3rd person can use the bank details having account number, routing number and address. In fact if credit and or debit card can be used to do the money transfer and the worst part is, if that third person add your bank or card details and process the transfer then the owner will not get notified.

I realized this today and I tested the same thing to verify if really Xoom dont send OTP or any Authorization email or text. So yes nothing, this is the biggest blunder I can say. This shows that, if Xoom got hacked and all customer details leaked then it's really easy for anyone to process the transaction without having the PIN or two step verification. In addition, according to the new Laws such companies should be more strict especially if they are dealing financially. Customers and those who are not customer, anyone's money is at high risk.

Original review: July 5, 2018

Tried to send money to India. I had used Xoom many times before, but not recently. When I completed my transaction online, later I got an email saying to call Xoom for "verification" or the transaction would automatically be canceled. When I called, they said that they wanted to know how I knew the recipient, and I said that it was a friend. Lots of intrusive questions.

I canceled my transaction, but after Western Union wanted my password ID to my bank accounts online to send money, I called Xoom back, agreed to send it multiple bank statements that they specified. I told them about my previous Xoom transactions and gave them their tracking numbers. After four days and having sent 16 pages of bank account statements, I got turned down. (See attached image for the final email.) All in all, the experience will cause me to stop using PayPal. I'm looking for an alternative to Xoom, which I recommend everyone to stay away from. They are not customer friendly.

Xoom Money Transfer expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Xoom is a money transfer service that allows customers to send money from the United States to other parts of the world, including Central and South America, Asia, the Philippines and more.

• 24/7 customer support: Consumers with questions or problems can contact customer support by phone and speak with a customer service representative at any time, day or night.

• Referral rewards: Customers who recommend Xoom to a friend who makes a transfer over $400 will receive a $20 Amazon gift card. The new customer will receive a gift card too. There is no cap on the number of referral rewards a customer can receive.

• Bill pay: Any customer with a US-based payment source can pay utility bills in Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama and the Philippines. Fees are listed on Xoom’s website.

• Reload mobile minutes: All customers with a U.S.-based payment source can use Xoom to add minutes to their friends’ or family members’ prepaid mobile phones. Funds are immediately applied to the recipient’s phone, and Xoom will cancel any transaction that was accidentally sent to a contract phone that cannot be reloaded.

• App: Xoom’s app, available for Apple and Android devices, lets customers send money, pay bills or reload another mobile phone directly from their cell phone or other smart device. The app is free.

• Best for: Xoom is best for anyone who has a US bank account and needs to send money or pay bills internationally.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs