1.20/5
Based on 81 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

330 Xoom Money Transfer Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 17, 2018

I am a long time PayPal customer and I was using this Xoom to send money to my Fiancée in the Philippines. I sent a $100 to see how long it took and everything was fine. I increased the amount to $1200 and received an email to call customer service. They then grilled me by asking a lot of personal questions about the purpose of the transfer. I understand about fraud but at the same time Xoom should only ask question to determine identity. The next day I received an email without explanation refusing the transaction and closing my Xoom account. In the email they virtually accused me or the recipient of fraud. Xoom needs to review their verification process. I will never use them or PayPal again. This is wrong on so many levels.

Original review: July 14, 2018

I called customer service again and again, poor service and they ask for confidential information that is easily lost. I had a very bad experience with this company!!! ** Better Not Call. Verification and Compliance. I just need verify my Identity documents in airport or bank! :)

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 7, 2018

I have been using Xoom service since last couple of years. But today I found Xoom service is not at all secure. Let's say if anyone's bank details is disclosed for some reason then any 3rd person can use the bank details having account number, routing number and address. In fact if credit and or debit card can be used to do the money transfer and the worst part is, if that third person add your bank or card details and process the transfer then the owner will not get notified.

I realized this today and I tested the same thing to verify if really Xoom dont send OTP or any Authorization email or text. So yes nothing, this is the biggest blunder I can say. This shows that, if Xoom got hacked and all customer details leaked then it's really easy for anyone to process the transaction without having the PIN or two step verification. In addition, according to the new Laws such companies should be more strict especially if they are dealing financially. Customers and those who are not customer, anyone's money is at high risk.

Original review: July 5, 2018

Tried to send money to India. I had used Xoom many times before, but not recently. When I completed my transaction online, later I got an email saying to call Xoom for "verification" or the transaction would automatically be canceled. When I called, they said that they wanted to know how I knew the recipient, and I said that it was a friend. Lots of intrusive questions.

I canceled my transaction, but after Western Union wanted my password ID to my bank accounts online to send money, I called Xoom back, agreed to send it multiple bank statements that they specified. I told them about my previous Xoom transactions and gave them their tracking numbers. After four days and having sent 16 pages of bank account statements, I got turned down. (See attached image for the final email.) All in all, the experience will cause me to stop using PayPal. I'm looking for an alternative to Xoom, which I recommend everyone to stay away from. They are not customer friendly.

Original review: July 5, 2018

Joke. I tried to get money out of my eBay credit for the tiny amount of 500 bucks. All looks ok, as I'm led to this site by PayPal. Oh, oh, oh. No. Money not transferred. Why? I'm in Mexico and need to pay a builder a paltry $500. But they want my W95. Nobody on this planet travels abroad with a W95 in their pocket. So this site MAY just be for money launderers who would dig into a filing cabinet or resend a W95. Discretion please PayPal when recommending crap.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Xoom Money Transfer?

Original review: June 25, 2018

I sent a payment on the 12th of June and they said it was available on the 18th. After hours of calls and complaints it is now the 25th, they are not in this country and very hard to understand. MONEY BACK GUARANTEE is not the case! I want my money back or for the funds to be available ASAP. They keep asking for the recipient's bank statement for proof. NO one, NO ONE sends a bank statement. I asked for a MT103 and they do not provide that. I will be disputing this transaction with my bank. They have not obliged by TERMS AND CONDITIONS nor will they give you your money back. STAY AWAY.

Original review: June 25, 2018

I’m use Xoom to send money to my friend who’s in need of help for her daughter medical expenses, Send the money June 22, 2018 around 9am here at USA. Hoping that it will be in the Philippines in minutes like what they're saying and their TV AD - BUT it did not happen - today is ready June 25 and money still not available. Called the Xoom company spoke to an agent - guess what when I ask when will the money to transfer to Philippines - her response is “between now to June 27” and when I ask the exact date her response is “June 28”. I understand if take long to send money but to advertise with “sugar coated words” is not fair to customer. Sugar coating is not a way to gain customers.

Original review: June 23, 2018

I was sending money as usual for over 4 years to my family out of US. Then suddenly transaction was canceled, and I needed that money be there, she had caesarean delivery in emergency, difficult situation. Xoom started to ask me all kind of documents, I provided. After they requested more, W2. I don't have W2. I have 1099 self employed, and my taxes will be done in August 2018. They insisted on W2 only. I cannot provide W2. End of discussion. I tried to log in later to my Xoom account, could not, called Xoom and found out that my account was canceled.

Ruthless company. Garbage. You can send little by little, but once they pick your account up, you doomed. They told me I was sending too much money, and government does not allow them to transfer that much. They need my ID verification. Who the hell are you? You got my passport, got my social number, I am sending money and I deal with IRS with my taxes not with you garbage dictators. You just a company that send money and I pay you for that. Not interrogate me on the phone with private questions. None of your business you piece of **.

Original review: June 19, 2018

Sent a transfer and 10 days later my recipient still couldn't pick it up! On my account it said it was available to pickup. The recipient went to the bank 3 times to try to get it. Avoid this company, they don't care!

Original review: June 13, 2018

I sent money on 5/25 online through Xoom. On the same day, the amount of money was deducted from my account & on the same day, I received several email correspondence (about 3 of them) saying that my transaction was completed. Unfortunately, it was not, till on 6/7, after I made several calls to Xoom because the recipient back in the Philippines informed me that they have not received the remittance. Xoom should have not sent an email to the me that the transaction was complete when it wasn't.

A bank to bank transfer is only complete if the money was finally transferred to the recipient's bank. What pissed me off was when Xoom further inconvenienced me by asking me a statement of my recipient's account showing that the money was not received when they could have just investigated it on their end. It took Xoom almost half a month (14 days) or 10 business days to finalize the money transfer which is the exact opposite to what they promise in their commercials.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Last few days Xoom service has been terrible. One time after clicking the 'Authorize' button, the response was that the transaction did not work. Tried again and duplicate transaction went through. Totally confusing and alarming situation. The latest transaction (money transfer to India from USA) has run into all kinds of issues. After submission, the transaction had to be confirmed by the bank (after a 12 hour wait). After that for nearly 36 hours due to a technical issue with the receiving bank, the transaction is in limbo. The entire amount has been withdrawn from my bank and refund will take 4 days. The only contact is with their phone center in Philippines. Bad connection with background noise and chatter and terrible accent makes it hard to understand. Also parrot like responses. Cannot escalate to US personnel. This is the last transaction that I will ever send by Xoom. Totally unreliable service.

Original review: June 6, 2018

Thanks for reading this, it might help you and save time if you are in a hurry to send money to your loved ones. I made a bank to bank transfer couple of days back just as they mention on their site it takes less than 3 minutes. I had to make numerous attempts by phone, holding the line for longer period of times and lots of emails, with proof of my IDs and pages of bank statements and still at the end they want me to send a proof of my residential address.

I just moved from Texas so it takes time to get settled at any place and you start getting your mails and so forth. I send them their code and they have my email, my phone number, my Texas and Oregon driver licenses, a letter mailed directly on the address in my name from my company. What more these morons want from someone to establish their address, Hurray I am back with WESTERN UNION the people who care about you. PLS STAY AWAY FROM XOOM for sending or receiving your funds.

Original review: June 2, 2018

Created Xoom account to send money for essentials to in-laws in Mexico; first transaction of $500 was seamless. The second $500 transaction was taking longer to process and received an email stating that there was "suspicious activity" and I needed to call. Called immediately and spoke to Carl; answered all security questions and he was going to release the transaction, but there was a 1-4 business day hold. I was extremely frustrated as there was not any mention that this could happen prior to the answering of their security questions and sitting on hold.

I was on the phone for over 40 minutes and spoke to 3 different employees, the last was the floor supervisor Elena. Elena asked for a copy of my bank statement and I told her no and that I thought that was an inappropriate request. I offered to pay with a credit card, but stated that I was only going to authorize the $4.99 fee as this was an Xoom issue and not mine. Elena flat out refused and stated that she cannot authorize it and I could either cancel the transaction or pay the additional fee. I cancelled my own transaction and let Elena know that their lack of willingness to compromise has severed any future transactions and they would've recouped their "loss" quickly as my husband sends money weekly. The call was on 5/30/18 approximately 9:45 PM EST and spoke with Carl, Renee, and Elena. The fact that the "floor supervisor" does not have any authority to rectify client issues is bad management and a poor business decision.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I tried for the first time to send money for my disabled mother, they immediately blocked my transaction. When customer service called they told me they cannot transfer the few hundred dollar because it is for corporate use and they cannot confirmed that. What a lame excuse and pathetic service run by imbeciles.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I don't usually do review but Xoom is worst amount anything I have done in my 40 years. They are pathetic service, very poor customer service and they won't resolve any of your issues. I would urge you to never use Xoom in your life. NEVER USE XOOM, ABSOLUTELY WORST SERVICE.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I transferred money through XOOM Money Service owned by PAYPAL. They do commit wire fraud by holding your money hostage. XOOM Based out of California is a fraud to begin with. They read script to calm customer and would not resolve by putting money back in your U.S Banks Institution where they take your money to transfer to another bank overseas. They are lazy, unprofessional and their pathetic customer service is in Philippines. Do not use this money transfer. This is coming from a law enforcement employee in DFW Area DALLAS, TEXAS. Please Don't get your money stuck in their money transfer. Not a Reliable money transfer. XOOM is pretty DOOMED when comes to getting your hard earned money returned. I wasted three days and four hours on the phone from corporate to customer service, all reading same script and not doing a damn thing to resolve.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Horrible experience with Xoom. I made a transaction last week and while the questions were odd, they completed my transaction. The last question asked was whether I planned to use the service again. I said I anticipated using it a couple of more times and probably weekly for the next few weeks. I tried to use it again today (a week later) and the person was very suspicious of my answers and wanted to know, how I knew this person, had I met him, why was I sending him money and wouldn't approve the transaction even after I repeatedly answered all the questions including the one about when I'd be using Xoom in the future.

She first wanted an exact date and transaction amount for future use and said I wasn't sure but probably in the next week and for around a certain amount. I asked for the supervisor who gave me the run around and then said she couldn't approve until she saw further documentation even though I only wanted to send less than $500. At this point I became very uncomfortable since one website said Xoom only requires documentation for much larger transactions than what I was making. The customer service was extremely primitive and unprofessional as well as frustrating and time consuming. I felt like they thought I should be lucky they are providing this service to me. DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE!!!

Original review: May 5, 2018

Xoom team and communication between their departments does not happen. I'm not able to login to site and it's pushing to change password all times. After multiple times password reset still it's not letting me login. Please keep using different remittance service providers and STAY AWAY from XOOM.

Original review: May 4, 2018

STAY AWAY. STAY AWAY. STAY AWAY. Absolutely ridiculous experience. Flaky website. Horrid service. Worthless in every sense, "of no value". READ THE OTHER COMMENTS, IT'S ALL VERY ACCURATE. Incompetence of the company, the website and the idiot clones of the Filipino customer service, if you can call it service, will lead you to drink. After an hour of dealing with this nonsense, the only accomplishments were a hold on my money, a cancelled transaction and a strong fervor to fly to the Philippines and ** their building. Instead of attempting to use this service, you would be better off in the long run just throwing your money out the window and repeatedly beating your head against a wall. Thieving, incompetent clowns.

Original review: April 25, 2018

On my first transaction attempt I was repeatedly asked for more personal information, IDs, Bank statements, Passport etc. and still my transaction was canceled. I could never get ANY explanation as to what the problem was, just given a runaround and WASTING my time. Afterwards I found there was an error in the street address of the recipient and tried a second transaction, it was immediately canceled. When I contacted them about it I was assured that it was not canceled. It was just being reviewed by the verification department. So I waited a couple MORE DAYS. It still showed as canceled so I called again and again. After having my time WASTED was eventually told they would not tell me anything except that the transaction was canceled and any further transactions I tried to make would also be canceled. I informed them I intended on BAD MOUTHING this company for the rest of my LIFE and I intend to do so ACTIVELY!!!

Original review: April 18, 2018

All is well, UNLESS you have a problem. Then you end up in Manila call center HELL. GOOD LUCK! Seriously, 10 different stories from 10 different people. Then you just wait, and wait, and wait. I spent about 10 hours or more on the phone trying to correct an issue they assured me could be resolved... for over a month. Please don’t support this business model. Western Union is probably better.

Original review: April 17, 2018

After so many recommendations of my friends, I have created XOOM money transfer account. On my first transaction error appears that transaction canceled, after 23 mins of customer service they transfer my call to VERIFICATION DEPT. and after taking my details they were asking my SSN, ID, and bank statements which they are not supposed to ask and even don't require, my friend is using this service since a long time. When I asked him he said he never been asked this kind of documentation. DO NOT USE XOOM, pathetic and discriminating service provides. I would give 0 star.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I sent money through Xoom to Dominican Republic, the transfer was made on March 15th, the transfer still two weeks later had not been completed when I called, their supposed compliance department has no type of formal training. It looks like because when I call in two weeks later is when they politely informed me that my transfer was delayed because they need some further documentation, annoyed and needing to complete the transaction I sent the information requested. They stated I would be called if anything else was needed.

On April 3, 19 days later I call back because my receiving bank informs me that the transaction was not received. The representatives had me about 3 hours on hold. No one knew or had any concrete idea as to what was going on with my money. Then I was told that an email was sent out requesting another form of ID because my ID was going to expire, not that it was expired that is was going to expire, I sent in my renewed temporary ID and was told that it was not valid, which is still baffling because in it is considered valid in all 50 states in the US and it is a government ID. I am still working to either receive my money to my bank account where it was initially taken out from or to my receiving bank.

This is ridiculous how Xoom has played with my money, and when you want to call to make complaint about the poor service customer service transfers you and no one is able to do anything. It's unbelievable, if this situation is not resolved soon and someone puts some urgency on my case, my next step is contacting a lawyer and never again using Xoom as a money transfer service or anything else in that matter. I have been a loyal customer for a bit now and have even pay for my bills in Dominican Republic through Xoom but with this issue and their lack of professional courtesy and actual customer service, I do not think I will be using them any further business and would not recommend them to anyone else that has to send money overseas.

Original review: April 1, 2018

This is where credit card thieves go to launder their money. Someone took a picture of my card and used it here for $106.99 to transfer money out of country to Peru. Xoom does not take it seriously and said they were unwilling to launch an investigation or send me a report. There were also no transaction numbers in my credit card statement, which made this very hard to resolve.

Original review: March 29, 2018

EVERYTHING you read here from others is correct, true. XOOM is just the worst experience; IT DOES NOT WORK, and I provided everything it asked for and they (Philippine call center) keep coming back with the same need for the SAME verification and they ask the same questions over and over such as "How will the recipient use the money you are sending?" What kind of question is that?

Additionally, it sent me an email confirming that its verification process for me, my new account, was complete and approved and I could start making transfers. I was cautious enough to try only $150 as a test run, and all of this was over $150!!! Dealing with XOOM is sort of mind boggling. I don't think it will be in business long if it will not process and send $150 without the same questions over and over and over and over AFTER YOU HAVE BEEN APPROVED! Want to waste your time and give your personal data to a company that who knows what will be done with it? Use XOOM.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Wow, what a complete disappointment. I tried to transfer approximately USD$1,500 to The United Kingdom. They held my transaction pending verification. To verify, you have to call them, then you are put on hold and finally connected to a script driven call center in the Philippines. They interrogate you about who (Do you really know this person), why (why are you sending them money) and when (are you going to send more money in the future). Then they put another hold on the transaction requiring that I send them -- via e-mail -- a complete copy of my US Passport and a copy of my most recent Bank Statement to verify that I had sufficient funds to send $1,500.

I tried to "understand" their concern, especially as my transfer was coming directly out of my Bank A/C. If I did not have sufficient funds, the transaction would not process anyway. After I faxed them the required information they then asked for a complete copy of all pages of my passport and the actual bank statement I receive--I gave them a screenshot which was apparently not good enough. In the end it was easier for me to make a Bank Wire Transfer--although more costly--than to try and deal with the Xoom personnel. Just a waste of time effort and energy. They treat you as if you are some sort of criminal. They have no sense of customer care. I would never, ever, use them again. Even Western Union is better.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I’ve made a huge mistake trusting Xoom to transfer my money. It has been over 10 days already and my $5000 is on hold... I feel so helpless and frustrated. I provided all information they asked and now they are asking this information again and again... And to add insult to injury they only provide any update to the sender and not the receiver so there is no way a receiver can track. Sub-optimal service. This was my first and my last time I used Xoom for transferring money.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I’ve made a huge mistake trusting Xoom to transfer my money to my family. It has been 3 weeks already and my $6000 is on hold... I’m so desperate and frustrated. I provided all information they asked and now they are asking this information again and again... Xoom is absolute scam! I hope at least I will get my money back. They don’t deserve to exist and use PayPal’s reputation.

Original review: March 15, 2018

The worst customer service. I have been using Xoom to send money to my parents in India. My parents gets money the next day but this time when I send the money so it was delayed so I called customer service and they said they will send email to their partner company in India to find out what happen. I called every day for 3 days but same answer. I would not recommend any to use Xoom because they will not answer and every time they will say sorry.

Original review: March 9, 2018

Really crappy service, even worst customer service, make me waste my time for days with automated responses asking for IDs, bank statements, calls to their customer lines really bad service. STAY AWAY FROM THEM.

Xoom Money Transfer expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Xoom is a money transfer service that allows customers to send money from the United States to other parts of the world, including Central and South America, Asia, the Philippines and more.

• 24/7 customer support: Consumers with questions or problems can contact customer support by phone and speak with a customer service representative at any time, day or night.

• Referral rewards: Customers who recommend Xoom to a friend who makes a transfer over $400 will receive a $20 Amazon gift card. The new customer will receive a gift card too. There is no cap on the number of referral rewards a customer can receive.

• Bill pay: Any customer with a US-based payment source can pay utility bills in Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama and the Philippines. Fees are listed on Xoom’s website.

• Reload mobile minutes: All customers with a U.S.-based payment source can use Xoom to add minutes to their friends’ or family members’ prepaid mobile phones. Funds are immediately applied to the recipient’s phone, and Xoom will cancel any transaction that was accidentally sent to a contract phone that cannot be reloaded.

• App: Xoom’s app, available for Apple and Android devices, lets customers send money, pay bills or reload another mobile phone directly from their cell phone or other smart device. The app is free.

• Best for: Xoom is best for anyone who has a US bank account and needs to send money or pay bills internationally.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs