1.06/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

843 MoneyGram Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

I tried sending money several times and MoneyGram blocked me after completing 2 transactions. I tried receiving money, it was so important for me to receive money on the date it was sent and was inconvenienced completely. I couldn't get to complete my business on that day. Everything had to be rescheduled and was a terrible inconvenienced. I never felt so disappointed. I called customer service and they seems not to know the reasons why I'm blocked. The sender was also blocked. This is a real messed up terrible and horrible company. Their service is very poor and no kind of standard. I wont recommend this company at all. They are very disgusting. I've had so much bad experiences with them. They don't even deserve a one star. This is a horrible company.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

I tried two ways to send money with MoneyGram. First I tried it online by creating an account and providing the information to send the money from my account. All went through and I received the transaction number. About 15 minutes later I received an email that the transaction had been cancelled. I tried to log into to my newly created account and it failed. I used the online chat feature to find out what happened. My account was closed and the transaction cancelled. The person said they could not say why.

Next I went to a MoneyGram outlet in a store. I entered all my information in the store machine, paid for the send in cash, and received the transaction number which I provided to the recipient. When the recipient tried to pick it up, they said that I had withdrawn the send. Of course, I had not. So I went to the same store, tried to enter the transaction number to track it, but it was not recognized. I called the 800 number and finally was told it was cancelled. They gave ME a new transaction number, and finally in about 20 minutes I got a refund back in cash. Do NOT give this company business. They can't even provide a service, and my online transaction still says pending, so THAT money is in limbo. Worthless company, and it should be shamed out of business.

Get expert buying tips about Money Transfer and International Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I live in Liberia and MoneyGram has canceled every inbound transaction to me since September 2018 without any justification. When I ask bank tellers what the hell happened, they just say maybe it is because I may have exceeded my transaction limits. When I ask "what are the limits?" The bank is incapable of telling me because MoneyGram keeps them in the dark regarding that policy. When they tried calling MoneyGram customers service on my behalf, they just got a useless electronic voice whatever-the-**-it-is that could provide no information.

I am so disgusted with MoneyGram right now. How can they claim (if this the case) that I have exceeded my limits when I don't know anything on MoneyGram's policy on transaction limitations. The bank has no idea either. Moreover, I seldom conduct outbound transactions and only receive a few inbound transaction a year never exceeding 400 USD. In any case, this review is meant to inform MoneyGram that I will never ever transact with MoneyGram again until death. MoneyGram caused me serious embarrassment on four occasions that could have cost lives. MoneyGram is the most useless piece ** ever. And to treat customers like criminals without even having the courtesy to inform them of what the ** is going on is just disgusting. ** MoneyGram. I'm out!!!!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

They use "under review" to hold your money for no reason. 10 minutes pick is a lie. If you call don’t expect any answers and they will hang up on you without any resolution. Internet chat is just as bad. They turn a simple transaction to a nightmare. All I wanted it to pay for a medical emergency. I had to borrow money to save a life while MoneyGram holding my own money.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Customer service team is of no use. They don't know the answer to anything! I tried to send money to my family member in my home town of Michoacan Mexico and it was rejected because it is a high fraud and criminal area! Yes, it is but it is not my fault that is where my family is from. We are building a house in our home town and it is totally legit. I even asked if I can provide proof so I wouldn't have this problem and they said they don't know!! I am so upset because of course the money comes out in 1 minute and takes 10 days to come back! This is so frustrating!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MoneyGram?

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

One out of three transactions failed, customer service support is rude and doesn't provide a reasonable answer, there is no streaming information between representatives and no option to help customer. I was very disappoint when they started asking me very personal information to make sure I was the sender (even though they don't have that in my profile) and he didn't want to validate me as the sender. He finally said, "If you want any help go to a store that provides MoneyGram services," and hung up. Don't risk taking chances. You will have an issue because it will freeze the money and you will not see it for ten days after you ask for a refund, the only reason you use it is because you really need an emergency transfer. Because their stupid attitude the payment for medical treatment to a family member was not done in time, she had to be hospitalized.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I am so mad and they pushed me to the max to write such a bad review for the 1st time. What a shame and terrible company called MoneyGram and their customer Service. I wish if I can give them zero stars coz they don’t even deserve it out of nowhere and without caring they deleted my account coz I got offended by them coz they closed my account twice with no reason and made me call them twice and answer all their damn stupid question. And at the end they lied to me. They said, “Wait up to 48hrs. Account will be reopen” and tonight I called again. They said, “It’s deleted and we can’t tell you further informations but you can use store locations. Wtf if you have no problem with my name why the hell you can’t make people life easier by using app data. What a such terrible company from A to Z. Very bad terrible customer service. I feel so stupid to even waste my time dealing with their dumb employees. Tfeeeh.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Set up an account, put my Visa card number in, then sent money. Everything went through. They took my money from my Bank account. Then, Just 15 min. later they canceled the transaction!! I called them, they said they couldn't tell me why their security department canceled the transaction. They said I could send a complaint to them online at their website. I have a credit rating of 750 and these people are fraudulent! There is absolutely no excuse for them taking my money and holding it for up to 10 Days!!!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I started a new home business and was awaiting my money card from the company. The company offered to send me my paycheck via Moneygram for a fee until I received my pay card. I went to the local CVS here to pick up the Moneygram that was sent. There you go to a red phone and pick it up and give someone on the other end your information. I was told to go back to the checkout to collect the money. Upon going to the checkout she showed me Moneygram had a code 900 and showed Moneygram rejected and sent back to sender. I went back the red phone and ended up 3 calls later still with no explanation. I reached out to my company that claim Moneygram never returned the money.

Now remember this is my paycheck and I need this to pay bills. It’s now over a week and nothing has been resolved. Moneygram should be shut down. The worst experience and company I have ever dealt with. I am going to take action against them. I was depending on this money to pay my bills. Furthermore there should be an explanation and they were rude to me.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I am out of state visiting my mother and my husband is home working. I needed some cash so he sent it via MoneyGram online! He gave me the confirmation number, everything was approved, they TOOK the money out of his bank account! Twenty minutes later THEY canceled the transaction! We both got on the phone with multiple people none of which were stateside! Absolutely no reason given for the cancellation and the money would be refunded in 3 to 10 days not including holidays and weekends! DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY WITH THIS BOGUS, ** COMPANY...

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I advise anyone that is not from Nicaragua, DONT USE THEIR SERVICES! Just pay the extra bucks and go somewhere else!!! I traveled to the countries Turkey and Nigeria for vacation. I ran out of cash so I thought if I use my online services, I can send money to myself. Big mistake, because not only did MoneyGram decline me, but when I call to speak to their customer service supervisor "Jay" he said they have deleted my account of 3yrs. Mind you I've sent money before. Jay said because I'm in another country my account has been inactive. In all honesty I've never heard such a poor excuse in my life. Please find another money service. It's not worth the stress.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

AVAILABLE FOR REFUND is all the information they could give me. No reason whatsoever for canceling my transaction and now making me wait 3 to 10 business days for my money back. If I could give NEGATIVE STARS I would. I had used this company with a personal account with my personal information numerous times. Then all of a sudden they refuse me service. WHAT THE **, WHY? Makes nooooo sense. NONE. THEY LOST A GOOD CUSTOMER BECAUSE I WILL NEVER GIVE THEM MY MONEY AGAIN.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

So 24 hours for a corporation that deals in transfer of money. And the only thing they could tell me was seeing as it is coming from the US after we have generated your new confirmation #. You have to wait for it to be processed. ??! So 24 hour for an E transfer.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I've been using MoneyGram faithfully for several years with some small issues that would take time and effort to resolve but was able to do so. But of recent, I logged onto my account and attempted to send money as usual. I received a message stating my transaction could not be processed, try again later. So I did only to have the same problem, so I checked with my credit card company and no problem there. I contacted MoneyGram only to discover they had terminated my account with absolutely no reason or notifications. I proceeded to inquire about why and could I speak with someone who may shed some light on why? But according to them there's no-one to speak to and they can terminate any account without explanation. "Very disappointed" I've followed their rules, loyal to the service and encouraged others to use them, only to be dumped without any concern, questions or explanations!!!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

MoneyGram cancelled my account without reason. This company is fraudulent and I am concerned that my credit card is associated with them. I have had an account for 4 years and used them to send money for years without problems. Go with PayPal or Western Union. Anything but MoneyGram. When you call for tech support or help you have no idea who you are talking to and they are zero help.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I’ve called to try to correct her name. They could not. I called for a cancellation because the app was down through the whole period of me asking for my money to be refunded. I’ve called the number and it brought me to a sex chat. I called different numbers online. Got the run around with 12 to 15 different representatives. They all asked me to same question—my name, date of birth, my email. With no one to help me finally I had enough. Spoke to my bank. She made a few calls while I called MoneyGram and got the same runaround. My bank made a complaint for me explaining my situation. They finally took me serious and refunded my money. The worst part is my wife is asthmatic. This money was for medication. Repeat do not use MoneyGram overseas. If you can use your bank card so you can dispute it right away not you’re checking a routing number. Good luck. I hope this helps many people.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

These people are just dumb, I don't know how I was stupid enough to use them. I sent the money and an hour later the recipient couldn't collect it. I got on the phone with their customer support for 2 hours, and they kept saying "We are not comfortable with the transaction, we canceled it". Stupid customer support team, and a more stupid "Escalation Manager" who said the same exact thing. They are not "Comfortable" with the transaction. DON'T USE MONEYGRAM. They suck!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I tried to send 3000$ to my girlfriend in FL today from Walmart through MoneyGram. When I was there I gave them my SSN, my ID, my phone number, and of course the Recipient’s name and state as they require and went home. Then when my girlfriend tried to pick up the money they wouldn't give it to her and told her I had to call them. I call them and give them my information and confirm that I know her, etc. After about a five minute phone call they tell me I have to go back to Walmart, give them my ID, have them call MoneyGram, and then they would talk to me...again.

So, I go through all these hoops only to have them tell me, and I am putting this in the words they should have used, "** you. We aren't going to process this and we won't tell you why. So, go ** off." After all that, they refused to process the transaction and I had to get a refund. Now, I have to figure out how to get my girlfriend the money she needs to put a roof on her house after hers was destroyed by lightning. Avoid these pos. They should not be in business.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I signed up for MoneyGram Online account. I tried to use it once to send money to my wife using my debit card. When I received the notification of failed send (no reason for it to fail) it showed the receiver as Ford Credit instead of my wife. I sent them an email with my PO box and my street address, because I thought the reason for it to fail was because my bank has two addresses for me and they might have rejected the send because the addresses didn't match.

I have very tight controls on my bank account which, if it looks like fraud or something unusual, they block the transaction. Nice. Then I received an email from MoneyGram saying my online account was shut down and I could not ever use MoneyGram Online services again. So, I called their Dallas office. They "couldn't tell me anything" and they told me that about a dozen times. I asked what I could do to get my account functional again, they said "Absolutely nothing. You can never use MoneyGram Online services again."

I said, if that is the case, then they are obligated by law to tell me the reason why they are refusing me service. I was told they didn't care, they're never going to tell me, and they're never allowing me to use online services again. I asked why the send was switched to "Ford Motor Credit" showing as the receiver instead of my wife, and if that had anything to do with why the transaction was blocked. They said, Ford Motor Credit was not the recipient. When I asked who was the recipient, they could not answer me, proving it had been changed from what I wrote. They could not tell me my wife's name.

I was beginning to become irritated, and asked for the person's supervisor. He claimed he did not have a supervisor. That there was nobody else for me to talk to. I explained that I was not born yesterday, that EVERYONE has a supervisor in their job. I told him to get his supervisor on the phone or the next call I was making was going to be to my lawyer's office. That something wasn't adding up. They out another person on the phone who wasn't busy, that was at the same level as the first guy I talked to. She told me the same things the first guy told me.

I was debating what to do when almost immediately (within days) a process server showed up at my door to say I was being sued by a debtor. A debtor that I had sent a return receipt requested certified letter to in 2016 about the debt, to start dialogue about how I could pay it. That debtor ignored my letter. But after MoneyGram checked my credit illegally, using the information that I gave them for a money transfer services account and NOT FOR CREDIT SERVICES to illegally check my credit, they saw the "written off debt" to the unrelated debtor. MoneyGram then contacted the debtor and for a fee, gave them all of my updated information. And with a day or so I was being served notice that I was being sued.

I did, however, use MoneyGram again a week later AT WALMART to send money to my wife. No problem. MoneyGram tried to steal my money transfer by changing the recipient. MoneyGram illegally checked my credit. MoneyGram illegally shared my personal information to a debtor that was found on my credit report, and, they did it in exchange for pay. MoneyGram was going to make money or steal money, whatever way they could, from my money send transaction. I would recommend just using MoneyGram for sends from Walmart AND NOTHING MORE. Never EVER give them your personal information or they will use it illegally to make money.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

MoneyGram is a horrible business. In the last 5 years they have had over 5000 complaints. MoneyGram is still in business. Why? They are owned by the mob. (Facts) Western Union is the best way to send money. MoneyGram rejects you sending money to avoid bank fees.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

For no reason, for no explicable reason; my money transaction has been denied. I call my bank to double check if there was a hold, I even call MoneyGram -- calls gets routed to the Philippines and they said they didn't see any reason why transactions were getting denied. I am done with MoneyGram.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

I tried to send a large amount of money to my daughter thru Walmart but had to use MoneyGram instead... What a horrific experience...although after reading many of the reviews here, my experience pales in comparison! After sending the money from Florida to Georgia, my daughter tried two different locations to pick up her money with no luck. I called MG only to be required to answer a number of very personal questions about myself and my daughter which was getting me angry and confused. Then they said they were not going thru with the transaction and that I had to return to Walmart to get my money back!!!

I demanded answers but got nowhere even with a "supervisor", just that my transaction was deemed unacceptable... I was furious and called them out for their bias... In other words, because they didn't like the addresses/locations I was from or for where the money was going they decided not to send the money!!! I asked if they thought we were still living in 1950's America where if I were a ** woman that wanted to eat at the counter you could refuse me service! Walmart needs to get rid of this SCAM/SHAM/FLIMFLAM company.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

MoneyGram needs to go put of business. Agent at MoneyGram made a mistake and keyed to wrong country. Trying to correct it was a nightmare. Agent today could not speak good English. I have sent to Ghana before and now today was declined due to regulation, but could not tell me why. On phone for two hours. It went to Guam yesterday no problem.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

It's simple! Don't use them. After using them for years they can just turn round and say that transaction is not allowed to go thru. Me: "Why?" Them: "It's breached a limit!" Me: "What limit?" Them: "Sender/Receiver cannot send/receive more than $8000 in a month or have more than 3 transactions a day." Me: "Okay, well neither of us have breached those limits far from it, in fact have not used MoneyGram in months." Them: "Oh well those are the reasons we can't help you..." Me: "Well please escalate as we need to find out what the issue is." Them: "We cant escalate as there is no one to escalate to." Incompetent and rubbish service... Woeful customer service! Don't use!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I sent an on-line transfer via MoneyGram to my friend in Moscow (£110 financial help). She was refused the money without explanations. I phoned to MoneyGram UK, again the explanations were refused. I was told that the refund will come in 3-10 days. It looks very much that MoneyGram is doing very dodgy things: they take money for supposed money transfer transaction which they do not intend to fulfill and then keep this money for its own use for up to 10 day. It is a new way to get interest free short term loans? I made an official complaint to the UK Financial Ombudsman.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I've been sending money to Ghana for more than a year. I purchase beautiful, authentic items from a friend of mine. I tried to send $150 today and a code 999 came back and 9051 or 9501 - I'm not sure which. I called customer service and was told to try the transfer again. The same thing happened. Called customer service again and was told that MoneyGram is subject to a number of rules and regulations, both internally and externally, and that perhaps I should go to ANOTHER location and try again. If the same code appeared, have the agent call them. That was all he could tell me. I did just as suggested -- went to another store, submitted the transfer request and got the 9501 (or 9051) code and the transaction was denied once again.

I asked the agent to call customer service, and she did. After holding for two minutes, the rep told her he wanted to talk to me. He tells me to hold on and five minutes later, comes back and tells me the SAME thing I was told initially. In other words, customer service is pitiful. I had this same issue before with Western Union. I know that fraud is a big problem in some countries -- particularly Nigeria. But if you are sending money to people you've been sending it to and have a history, what is the problem? A news conference was done a while back blasting Western Union for this practice. Maybe MoneyGram should be on the hot seat for what can only be labeled as arbitrary and capricious decisions.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Hi there! I’ve been using MoneyGram for over 10 years with no problem at all except when I made a transfer and they didn’t release the money for the receiver just by saying suddenly they decided to block my account with no explanation at all. Just by saying that I have to find another money transfer. I spoke to over 5 MoneyGram representatives and no one would give me answers and they barely speak English. What a scam because they take your money in seconds and when it comes to refund your money back takes almost 10 days. This company should be reviewed properly because they charge a lot of money for services they don’t deliver as they promise on advertising.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I sent $1200 to Colombia and they said it would be 3 to 4 days to be available to pick up and the 4th day I sent them a email asking why the money has not been released, instead of getting an email the just cancel the transaction at 1 am and never notified me of anything. I found out because I checked every morning to see funds were ready to be picked up. They cancel and they still have my money and they said it would take 3-10 days to returned. So why if they take money right of way, they take 3-10 to return it. Never gave a reason why the did not authorized to pick up. Do no use them ever again. They use your money for free and treat you like crap. The United States government should close their company.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

DON’T USE MONEYGRAM, if you want your money transaction to go through and you don’t want headaches and annoyance in the process. I have used MoneyGram for about 10 years now, sending money to the same people, approximately same amount of money, for charity. I have not had a single problem until this month when for whatever reason they blocked my account. When I called and gave them all information they requested, of myself and the receivers, of them, some were immediate relatives, they simply rejected the transfer saying that my info fitted the scammers’. When I asked to talk to a supervisor they put me on hold for a long time. Terrible service. When I tried to send a couple of weeks later, I found out that my account was blocked. Hopefully these people will wake up and realize that if they want to stay in business they need to change their customer service completely.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Sent US $2500 cash via Walmart/MoneyGram to Mexico. We cannot find anywhere in Mexico who will give that much money in one transfer. MoneyGram says tough luck. Their only solution is to offer a refund if I return to the US. I am no longer in the US and won't return for many months. A simple solution would be to split the transfer into 2 or 3 transfers so I can collect the money in Mexico. Walmart says tough luck. MoneyGram won't offer a reasonable solution even though it would be easy for them to solve.

MoneyGram expert review by ConsumerAffairs

MoneyGram was established in 1988 and took its current form in 1998, but it has a history going back to 1940 with the Travelers Express Company. It became a publically-traded company in 2004 and is headquartered in Dallas. MoneyGram offers money transfers, bill pay services, money orders and other financial services.

• Reload mobile minutes: MoneyGram’s Mobile Top-Up service lets customers add minutes to pre-paid cell phones on over 350 carriers in more 100 countries. Minutes are added almost instantly.

• Bill pay: Consumers can pay healthcare bills or make child support payments using MoneyGram. They can pay with cash, a bank account or a credit card. Interested customers can see the list of information they will need on the company’s website.

• Gift cards: Consumers can use MoneyGram to reload prepaid gift cards even when they do not have the physical card. This feature can make it easy to give gifts to someone else, and funds are usually available instantly.

• MoneyGram Plus: The MoneyGram Plus program gives members exclusive discounts. Members can also elect to receive messages as soon as the recipient has funds transferred to them.

• App: The MoneyGram app allows customers to send money to other people and pay their bill directly from their mobile device. The app is available for both Apple and Android devices. Consumers must be a part of the MoneyGram Plus program to use the app.

• Best for: MoneyGram has services to meet most consumers’ needs, including individuals, business owners and travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs