3.9/5 (534 ratings)

About MoneyGram

MoneyGram provides online and in-person money transfers, money orders and bill payments. Customers can send money domestically or internationally and choose from nearly 50 different currencies.

Pros

• Large global availability
  • Flexible payout options
  • Fraud education resources

Cons

• Exchange rates can be poor
  • Fees can vary

Bottom Line

MoneyGram is one of the largest wire transfer services in the world. It lets you send and receive money, pay bills and more. The company does its best to make sure transfers are convenient, easy and safe.

Top MoneyGram Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MoneyGram?

Verified

I changed to MoneyGram and never had any of the issues or problems that I experienced with Western Union. MoneyGram is very quick, efficient, professional and polite...I have neve...

Verified

The App is easy to use, the fees are clearly indicated based on the amount you wish to send and one gives the option to send money using your bank account or debit/credit card… I...

What is MoneyGram?

MoneyGram is one of the world’s largest money transfer providers. The company has decades of experience and a trustworthy reputation. MoneyGram has made it a goal to educate its customers on fraud and take whatever precautions it can to avoid having customers transfer money to scammers.

How does MoneyGram work?

MoneyGram lets customers send money either online or in-person. To send money online, you must first create an account. From there, select either a bank or MoneyGram agent location and choose how you want to pay.

It's also possible to set up an online transfer and later pay in-store with cash by showing a government identification. For in-person service, you can go to your closest agent location with a government ID, the receiver’s information and the money you’re sending.

If you're receiving money, the sender can transfer it to a bank account, a mobile wallet or an agent location for pickup. If the money is going to a bank account or mobile wallet, there's nothing you have to do — the funds arrive in your account once the transfer is processed.

For an in-person pickup, you need the transfer reference number and a valid government ID. You may need to fill out a receive form, but it's not always required. Money sent to a MoneyGram location will be ready in minutes, but bank account transfers take longer.

MoneyGram fees

MoneyGram aims to match its competitors' rates as closely as possible. Fees vary based on several factors, including the money's destination and the type of transfer you choose. The website offers a fee estimator for a more precise idea of the costs. Exchange rates are updated in real time, but customers have noted in reviews that these rates aren’t always as good as what some competitors offer.

MoneyGram FAQ

Where can I cash a MoneyGram money order?
There are a couple of ways to handle a money order from MoneyGram. It can be deposited into your bank account or cashed at many check-cashing businesses.
Can you receive MoneyGram online?
You can receive MoneyGram online if it's sent directly to a bank account or a mobile wallet. If this is the case, the money should be available online without you having to do anything.
Why does MoneyGram hold money?
MoneyGram doesn’t specify much when it comes to its policies on holding money. With most money transfer companies, holds depend on authorization, the amount sent, the destination and identification requirements.
How do I open a MoneyGram account?
Opening a MoneyGram account is a simple process. Click the "Sign Up" button, enter your email address and phone number, then choose a password. You'll then have to enter your legal name, your birth date and address. Finally, click the "Create Profile" button.
How do I get a refund from MoneyGram?
If you cancel your money order within 30 minutes of sending it, MoneyGram refunds the full amount. After that, you can still get a partial refund for up to 180 days, excluding fees.
Is MoneyGram better than Western Union?
Western Union has more locations than MoneyGram and is sometimes more competitively priced. The best thing to do is to compare rates to find which service offers a better value.

Is MoneyGram safe?

You should always treat money requests from unknown parties with extreme caution and never wire money to someone you don’t know. If you’re sending money to a friend or family member, however, MoneyGram is a safe option. As one of the world’s largest wire transfer sites, MoneyGram has plenty of experience and is a viable option for consumers who want to transfer funds.

MoneyGram Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MoneyGram?

Original review: Jan. 5, 2023

Lied to me. Took 10 days to admit it. Cost me late fees, under duress and lack of heart medicine for 10 days. Disabled senior citizen. Conclusion: "After completing our investigation, we have determined that an error may have in fact occurred with your transaction. Our records show that the funds have been refunded to you on 4 January 2023 for total of $1501,99. This amount represents:

- The amount you intended to transfer ($1500).

- The transfer fee you paid with this transaction ($1,99).

Original review: Jan. 4, 2023

I created an account with MoneyGram in May 2020 to help my parents who live in the Dominican Republic and I also sent money to friends and other relatives. On December 20, 2022, I sent $350.00 dollars to my parents for their Christmas dinner and for their medicines. On that occasion I chose the option of having them delivered to his residence. My parents never received the money. I contacted moneygram on 12/23/2022 and the representative told me that they were going to open an investigation and they would let me know by email the result of it.

Today is 04/01/2023 and I was trying to access my account and it was closed. I have not received an update on the case, they never sent me an email to let me know the progress of the investigation. Thanks that it occurred to me to contact my financial institution and they granted me a provisional credit and opened an investigation. I also took a few screeshoots of my MoneyGram account before it was closed. The last status of the transaction was in transit.

Get buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2022

I sent 4000$ to my mom in Honduras, this money was destined for her Cancer treatment, it was a direct deposit to her local bank, it after 4 days of waiting the money never made it to her account. I am extremely disappointed, I talked to the MoneyGram rep and they said it will take up to 3 months to complete the “investigation” on why the money didn’t make it. I’m like cancer will not wait my mom that long, and now my mom’s health is jeopardy due to their incompetence. I don’t what to do, since that was all I have and now I’m so frustrated because now I don’t know how to pay for my mom’s cancer treatment.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2022

MoneyGram is garbage. They declined my transaction and refused to tell me why. How can I fix the issue if I don’t know what it is. They certainly wasn’t going to fix it. There are much better apps than MoneyGram. You just have to search for them. Western Union is much better. MoneyGram is garbage. (Much overrated.)

Original review: Nov. 10, 2022

They approved the transaction and then my family couldn’t pick up the money because they did not let him. I called them four times and they keep telling me that the receiver had to call them for security reason and finally they put the transaction on hold for two days and they didn’t want to return muy money back, definitely MoneyGram has a terrible service and they are a scam.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2022

If you want to send money to a relative do yourself a favor and never use MoneyGram. They’re the biggest thieves and scammers. They will never give the recipient your own money or ever give you a refund. You call customer service and they come up with every excuse in the book and ask to verify your identity countless times. It’s been a couple of months and never got my money back. I lost 5000 to this scammers and they don’t take any responsibility. Worst most unreliable company on the planet. A bunch of crooked scammers. Don’t waste your hard earned money with this people. You are going to lose it. I hope this review helps other hardworking individuals who only wants to support their families or have an emergency. Please don’t use this Company. You are going to regret it

Original review: Oct. 23, 2022

Terrible experience with this company...STAY AWAY. I tried to send emergency funds to a friend in a foreign country as a cash pickup. MoneyGram approved the transaction & debit my bank account. Later that day, they rejected the transfer and cancelled my account. My funds were not credited back to my bank account and are supposedly in limbo and won't be returned for up to 10 days. I have no way to track it as my MoneyGram account was closed and my complaints to the company have gone unanswered. This is fraudulent behavior on their part.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2022

Tried to send cash in Canada via Canada Post, seems they don't allow cash pickup, even though MoneyGram site says they do. Totally useless service. Contacted support, they will not refund fees or money, receiver has to go to a bank to get funds - what??

Original review: Oct. 13, 2022

I sent my 72 year old sister money for her 72nd birthday today. I have sent money to her once before, using MoneyGram. I received the confirmation email that the money was ready for pickup and she took her ID and the Reference Number to the Walmart Moneygram location and they said it wasn't available. Almost impossible to reach a live human to discuss, but I finally got someone on the MoneyGram website chat. He took forever and then said he had released the money. So my elderly sister drove all the way back to Walmart, only to be met with the same thing.

When I logged into MoneyGram, it shows the money "ready for pickup", I also took pics of the chat where the MoneyGram support person said it was ready and the receipt that I received as well. So I finally found a phone number and managed to get a live person at MoneyGram. After more than 10 minutes, he said "it was on hold (no reason), but I have released it now." So, back at Walmart Moneygram, "no, the money is not available". Skip the hassle and never use Moneygram!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2022

God forbid you ever really need to send money with MoneyGram. Thankfully, there are better ways to send money that actually work and don't wear you out by giving you error messages that don't apply to your situation. Tech support was difficult to understand, they couldn't understand plain English without repeating myself multiple times, and were useless, in the end. Moneygram simply said they were refusing to ever fix the problem, and that I should use a different service. This implies that Moneygram provided a service. They didn't.

MoneyGram Company Information