1.17/5
Based on 188 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 23, 2018

656 MoneyGram Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 23, 2018

So MoneyGram blocked a transfer and I got pretty confused/mad. The person I was sending to kept bugging me, so I called MoneyGram customer service. TURNS OUT the person I was sending to was a Craigslist scam artist. MoneyGram customer service asked me a series of questions and essentially brought light to my eyes. They saved me A LOT of money! Thanks MoneyGram!

Original review: May 23, 2018

I sent money home to Moldova to my father but he was not able to pick it up. I called MoneyGram and spoke with a lady that had no idea about what I was talking about. What pissed me off the most was the fact that she placed me on hold for about 20 minutes "to verify my info". How long does it take a person to verify my last name and the amount? Please let me know because I honestly do not think it should take 20 minutes. She then told me that she has to go to an agent from the location where I sent the money, again why? What would the agent tell you that I can't?

Once there both the agent and I were placed on hold for a combined 60 minutes, the person that I talked to asked me the stupidest questions I have ever heard. "When did you last meet your father?" That when we both have the same last name, so stupid. Their level of stupidity is beyond me. I am appalled by their customer service and will never, ever do business with them. Please do not send money with them, they are the worst.

Get expert buying tips about Money Transfer and International Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 22, 2018

Never use MoneyGram. There is always a hassle from when the sender first sends the money and when the person on the other end gets it. MoneyGram has set my brother back 10 days and holding on funds awaiting for a refund because their system has glitches and will hinder you from sending money to a love one in a timely order. Never use it. Always go Western Union. More reliable!

Original review: May 22, 2018

We attempted to send money to my nephew in Panama. Walmart has a K2.5$ limit thus we did two transactions. MoneyGram would not disburse the money. Their reason, the transactions are consistent with fraud. We were identified by the Walmart Associate. I was told to call MoneyGram, provided the Reference Numbers and identified myself to the satisfaction of two agents. They told us to store for further identification. We did and they told is the transaction would not be accepted because it had a pattern of FRAUD!

They had the data, we had been identified twice by store associates and at least three times by MoneyGram. We attested that we knew the recipient, my nephew, but they treated us as liars and accused of us making fraudulent transactions! I will never use this company MoneyGram again and strongly recommend you avoid them. My brother works a place where money is transferred, often times overseas and he told me that MoneyGram is this way and once denied, most likely not accept transactions from us. Avoid these creeps like the plague!

Original review: May 22, 2018

I live in a remote area so was very pleased when I saw MoneyGram had an online site. Having read the reviews it seems I was lucky that my money just wouldn't go no matter how hard I tried to send it!! Then I couldn't even log in anymore... so I phoned the helpline... or unhelpful line as it turned out to be. Then I emailed MoneyGram, I received an email today telling me that my account has been blocked due to me breaching the terms and conditions. But they wouldn't tell me what that breach was... because there isn't in fact any breach. MoneyGram through the post office works very well but the online site is rubbish and the people working for them need some serious training in public relations and common sense!! I will not be using them again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MoneyGram?

Original review: May 18, 2018

After receiving my information and the information of the receiver MoneyGram refused to hand over the money demanding that I contact them. After sending an email I received no response. After I called I had to tell one overseas operator a lot of information before he said he needed to transfer me to a specialist. I was then put on hold for 20 minutes before another overseas operator got on. He said I could not put him on speaker so my husband can listen in. Then he asked me a lot of questions including what are the street names close to where I live. My address. My email address. My phone number. My age. Where I work. Who I'm sending money to. Why I'm sending money to them. How I usually send money to them. How often I send money to them if I'm going to continue to send money to them. If my company also sends money to them.

After all that I said, "I need to talk to a supervisor. This is ridiculous." And they refused. Saying that the supervisors are also going to ask me more questions. Seriously. If you want to spend an hour on the phone telling someone all about your life, and probably what you do in your bed with your husband at what time? Go for it. Otherwise these people are ridiculous waste of time. All over 200 money transfer. Now I have to wait 10 days for my money back...or continue with the violation of my personal life.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I sent money through this organized scammers and later on, I called to add the receiver's middle name so that he can collect the money. I was told that I can't add anything to the name and before I can ask a second question the whole transaction was canceled and the fees I paid are non refundable the representative told me, great. I asked the girl on the phone (some overseas Indian accent lady) why did she cancel it? She said that their policy.

Ok, now I'm left with the only option. Go get the money back without the fee and pay a new fee to send it again so that my correspondent can collect it. I went to their store at 185 Market Street Newark, NJ 07102, oh boy the cashier was rude like no tomorrow. Seriously? Is this how MoneyGram conducts its business? Me at scamgram again? Never. Finally paid a second fee and thank God the whole nightmare was over. If there was a rating lower than one-star like below zero stars, I would gladly give minus 5 stars to these thieves. Bye.

g

Original review: May 15, 2018

Attempted to send future ex-husband $1500 to settle agreement. Transaction was cancelled and I was told I could no longer use their service. Said I violated terms of service. I reread said terms and DID NOT violate anything. I called and was treated like a criminal. Security reviewed my activity (5 transactions in 2 yrs). My 15 & 26 yr old live in another state. This is how I helped when needed. Daughter is getting married this year. Feel like they stole my information!

Original review: May 15, 2018

For the last few months I have used MoneyGram to send money to my fiancé who is attending school in a small town that does not have our credit union. However today when I sent him $1200 for a deposit on a house MoneyGram classified our transaction as a scam. Even though I answered all of the questions and even told them they could call the real estate agent to verify. They said my partner of 11 years was potentially scamming me therefore they could not release the funds to him. Then for the icing on the cake they informed me that they would not refund my money for 3-10 days. Not sure about the rest of you but $1200 is a big deal in our family of 5. Needless to say no amount of logical explanation was taken into account. So advice to anyone thinking about using this system don’t.

Original review: May 15, 2018

As a matter of fact right now I am on hold forever!!! And this is the fifth day trying to find a solutions for my wire to my cousin in overseas that he needs for his own son surgery!!! It takes 5 days now talking with everyone. Been put on hold, transferred to a different departments and my wire was not ready for pickup by my receiver! The sad part is the status shown money is ready for pick up!!! When I called them they said it's under reviews. When I asked why what is the problems, no one knows!!! And just being rude and provided very weird numbers for the receiver to call from overseas?

After several attempts by the receiver to use the provided numbers, none of them worked!!! When I called them back they tried to do the same! Couldn't get to any supervisors or managements. These company needs to find out what is the wrong with their employees and their failing poor system!!! No no no no no no more MoneyGram! Waste of time and money!

Original review: May 12, 2018

I have been sending money to my girlfriend who is in Colombia for the past year. I send her a $1000 dollars today, when she went to pick the money up at the location that she always picked it up at, the fee was $35. When she told me this I call MoneyGram when I got home from work. I spoke with a manager and they told me that, MoneyGram does not charge any fee to pick up money, the only fee that I pay is the fee to send money. When I heard this I was very pissed off. The location in Colombia had been charging my girlfriend $10 every time she picked money up. The manager told me to file a complaint. I should not have to do this, MoneyGram should contact their location and find out why they are charging people to pick money up. So now I have to do their job for them and get all the information together and send it to MoneyGram. This should be fun.

Original review: May 10, 2018

Yesterday I wired money to Africa for a safari. The recipient was never sent any notification, when they attempted to collect they were told the funds were not retrievable. I was sent an email receipt from MoneyGram telling me money was sent successfully and never sent an email telling me there is a problem. I filled out everything as requested online. They tell me there is nothing they will do to fix the problem, the only option is refund of my money and that will take 12 business days. Wow, they have a scam going.

Original review: May 8, 2018

Went in person, sent the money from card. They took the money. 4 days later are refusing to release to the recipient. Hanging up on me when I call with a complaint. Refuse to transfer to supervisors for resolution. Refuse to give me my money back into my card. THIEFS, LIARS, TERRIBLE COMPANY. Do not deal with them.

Original review: May 5, 2018

Hopefully I can save at least one person from going through the trouble I'm going through now. Where do I start? I send my rent out every month using a money order through the company MoneyGram at the Walmart center. This one particular time I sent my rent out and the postal service lost my rent. I still had my receipt from my money order so no big deal right? Wrong! I called and spoke to a man that had horrible broken English and spoke to me like I was a child. He also informed me to receive a refund it was going to cost me 18 dollars and it would take 20 days. I said, "I don't have 20 days. This is my rent!" He then told me they could expedite it for a 45 dollar fee and it would take 9 days including a 48 hour waiting period. At this time they still haven't put a stop or hold on my money order so it's just out in the abyss somewhere.

My question is why is this company charging me money to give me back my own money? I also forgot to mention I had to ask to speak to a supervisor TEN TIMES to TWO different people and the first guy hung up on me, and when I called back to speak with someone else it was the same guy who hung up on me claiming he was the supervisor and a different person. Sorry for all the bad grammar and long review. I'm just PISSED and need everyone to know that God forbid a mishap happens with your money. This company WILL NOT HELP YOU.

Original review: May 4, 2018

In the last 2 years my wife and I have had a number of occasions to send money to friends and relatives, foreign and domestic, for a variety of reasons. We have, in general, found MoneyGram very difficult to deal with. Only on a rare occasion has the transaction gone smoothly. More commonly, our money is accepted, then the trouble starts. First they refuse to deliver to the receiver, then WE are subjected to a series of pointed questions inferring that we are up to no good, that we may not even know the receiver or that the reason we are sending the money is "typical" of fraudulent activity.

In addition, the location that we are sending to has a high rate of fraudulent money transactions. Places like Houston, Dallas, Los Angeles, Seattle, Madrid, Spain and London, England, so they are "uncomfortable" delivering to these locations. Since, by their contract, they have no liability if you lose your money, I don't see why they even care. It's my money and I accept there could be risk. If they verify my identity and verify the receiver is who I told them it would be, at the location I said they would be at, what is the issue. For future reference, we will never be using MoneyGram again, we will be reporting them to any and all government agencies concerned. They are a sad excuse. Save yourself the time, money and frustration and go somewhere else.

Original review: May 3, 2018

My account was blocked immediately after just one money transfer. We tried to make money transfer from my husband account and even my bank account was charged successfully, but the recipient was not able to pick up the money because MoneyGram blocked the transfer. No any reason provided. We both have excellent credit history, great relationships with our bank and never had any problem transferring money with Western Union or other services. It just happened that it was more convenient for the recipient to pick up money at MoneyGram location, but in fact this company is a one big trouble. Currently trying to get a refund since the company still took money from my bank. It was my first experience with this company and definitely last.

Original review: May 3, 2018

MoneyGram has locked my account and support representative stated that I should use another service (that was the first time I've created the account). It's ridiculous that MoneyGram have gathered all the information required for the transfer online, then declined transaction and stated that I should transfer in person and during today session I've been told to use other service. And the most interesting: They do not send you copy of your chat with a support; after chat they suggest to leave a review, but review cannot be submitted.

Original review: May 2, 2018

I strongly agree with reviewers on MoneyGram. It did not make any sense to me either!!! I've been sending money to my sister for many years. Suddenly, they felt uncomfortable sending it, and did not even bother to explain why they felt uncomfortable. Now as many other people I can't send money because of some stupid reasons that MoneyGram does not explain. This is crazy and sad that they won't even tell you why but only bubbling the same words over and over again. They just told me that my account is locked and to go and use different business to send money. That's is soo rude and unprofessional. I agree that they just need to shut their company down if they gonna act like jerks to all the customers. Really bad and unprofessional service.

Original review: May 1, 2018

Made an online account. Used ONCE and now I am locked out. They called to verify all this information and told me they would not send my money to someone I have known for years AND that I had sent to before through their own stores! What a garbage company. I then went to try and access my online account and I am locked out. I feel like my information was stolen and then they just locked me out. I DO NOT recommend this company to anyone. They themselves seem fraudulent.

Original review: May 1, 2018

This doesn't make any sense! Why can't people send money because of some stupid reasons MoneyGram doesn't want us to know. Why it's funny how they tell people to contact the sender to verify the transactions when you just gave them a reference number, ID and all the information they need to know who you are to get the receive the money. It's sad that they won't even tell you why but only bubbling the same words over and over. Maybe they should shut their company down if they gonna act like everyone who sends or receive money out is bad. Bad service and I think it's stupid.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I started sending money to my daughter in September 2017, which is roughly about 6 months ago. From that time until April 13, 2018, I had sent a total of $680 in $30, $40, $50, and $60 transactions. Never more than $60 at a time. This total does not include the amounts I was charged for each transaction. The last time I sent money on April 13th, my daughter wasn’t able to pick it up. She was told she had exceeded her limit on how much money she could pick up. No further explanation was given. I did spend 45 minutes on the phone but I got nowhere. Each person I talked to sounded like they were reading from a script by just repeating the same thing over and over but never answering my questions.

I had valid questions like “What does exceeding the limit mean? Is it a daily limit? A monthly limit? How can one $50 transaction in one day exceed a limit? Are you limited to one transaction a week? A month? When would the money be credited back to my account? Each question was answered by telling me they did not have access to the information I was asking because there was a security lock on my account. Seriously? I was also told to read the policies on their website as to when I would get my money refunded. Only problem is, after that phone call, I have not been able to log back into my account. So all of the history with reference numbers to my account are no longer available to me.

Today, it has been 17 days since the transaction was denied and the money has not been put back into my bank account. I called again today and spent another 30 minutes on the phone to try and get some kind of resolution. I was told that the money would be put back into my checking account in the next 3-10 business days. When I asked why it was 3-10 business days from today when I called about the same thing the day the transaction was denied on April 13th, I was told he did not have the answer to that question. So I had to ask another question, when would the money be put back into my account if I hadn’t called a second time? The response I got was there was no record or notes on my account in regards to a previous call. Wow. I have contacted my bank.

If I do not have the money back in my account by the end of this week, my bank will go after them for the money and report it as fraud. My bank will deal with them and I don’t plan on ever having to contact them again!!! The customer service is horrible!! You are blocked from your account or from sending money for no reason! Plus you have to keep calling to get your money back in your bank account!! I am so disappointed in Walmart. I will shop @ Target from now on!

Original review: April 25, 2018

Do not use Moneygram! Their customer service is terrible. They also shut my Moneygram account down for no reason. I send money to my elderly mother and daughter in another state and they’ve made lots of money from that. And after it was shut down without them contacting me, then no one can tell me why. I will never use them again and no one else should either.

Original review: April 25, 2018

MoneyGram processed transaction from 86 year old Mother at CVS in Fl to me her daughter. I went to pick up. Told insufficient funds. Came home, used their tracker and saw money ready to picked up (took screenshot). Tried again at CVS with kiosk still saying problem with transaction. Came home. Looked it up again on their tracker and said "no record of this transaction could be found" (again took screenshot). Called 1-800 # and they said my mom has to call a 1-888 # from her home number listed on transaction and she did.

It is now past 10 pm for my elderly mother and still non resolve and she is so upset that some stole her money she was sending to me for her move out here to California. Not sure if cashier reported it as suspicious or what. But she should not have to have panic/heart attack trying to send money to her daughter. Now I am worried as I call her home and she does not answer, gonna have to call police to do a wellness check if she doesn't answer soon.

Updated on [04/25/2018]: The outsourced rep called my mom an old ** and slammed the phoned on her because she asked them please speak up and slowly so she can understand. She called back, man answered, he said that they were just trying "protect her" and that I, her daughter, should move to Florida to take care of her, not her move to California with me. She told him, where she wants to move is none of business and has no bearing on the fact she was using their service to send money, not to give her advice how and where to live!

She went back to the store at 9:50 pm. Store manager even called to help get transaction to process and verify everything, driver's license, signature, and receipt. They did not care and even talked to store manager like trash. Still showing as "no record of this transaction found" I did not even get to a point cashier, because when I tried to process it each time it was declinced and told my Mom needed to Call and nothing got resolved as I was assured would happen when I called. She was told to go to Walmart tomorrow to get cash back. AVOID MONEYGRAM AT ALL COST.

Original review: April 24, 2018

Moneygram will accept money from my 82 year old Mother in Alberta Canada, but will NOT allow me or my wife to receive it in Minnesota USA. Why? Because they are "uncomfortable" with the transaction. Since when did a foreign person sitting in the Philippines get to decide whether or not I got to receive money paid back to me that was loaned out years ago? What the HELL does Moneygram's "feelings" have to do with providing the ONLY service they are in business to provide? I will NEVER use their service again as I watch foreigner after foreigner have no problem sending and receiving money at Walmart, but don't do it if you are an American ** Male, that must be for illegal reasons, yeah right!

Original review: April 23, 2018

Horrible experience with MoneyGram for a transfer from France to Hong Kong. My family tried to transfer 800 euros. After following the steps online, we got a confirmation mail that the money was sent. We were debited. As a receiver, a few hours later I checked the transfer status: the cash was available for pickup. Until now no problem! So I went to the local agent and that is where it begins: The agent tells me there is no transaction with the given reference number. I checked again the transfer status, it was written "Cancelled". Neither the receiver nor the sender receive any notification about the cancellation! The money is debited and didn't where it was.

We called the customer service (with call fees of course) but no explanation at all about the cancellation! When I said the cash was available for pickup, the customer service didn't even believe me! Fortunately, the money was transferred back to the sender a few days later. Today, I still have no idea why it occurred this way! Stressful and unsuccessful experience! You want to transfer money, just find another way!

Original review: April 22, 2018

I had a MoneyGram transaction stopped and was told that I had sent money too many times in a month, I asked them how many times was I allowed to send money and they didn't know. Subsequently I've been blocked from using MoneyGram with no reason given. I use MoneyGram to send my wife money down in Central America, I send her money several times a month, usually the same amount, so I'm at a loss as to what happened. But the people at MoneyGram will not give me any explanation other than I'm blocked, with no recourse on what I can do to resolve this. Horrible customer service.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I’ve been using MoneyGram for about a year. This entire time, I’ve been sending the same amount of $100 to the same person every month (with a few exceptions). The person receiving the money is my son’s chess instructor. Today, I tried to log in to my account, but kept getting an error message. When I called Moneygram to find out why I wasn’t able to access my account, what happened next made me wonder for a moment if I haven’t time travelled to the 1930s Soviet Russia. The questions that I was subjected to were unapologetic, intrusive and simply bizarre.

Not only did I have to explain who was receiving a whopping sum of $100 of MY MONEY and why, I also had to describe the nature of my relationship with the person receiving the money, whether I have seen him in person, etc. I was assured that this line of inquiry was inflicted upon me for my own good. At the end of the questioning, I was put on hold, during which Moneygram was deciding whether or not I was in danger. They came back with the verdict pretty quickly. The verdict was – no Moneygram account for you! Facts had no weight in the Moneygram’s decision making.

The fact that Moneygram was a witness to a year-long relationship with the receiver, the receiver could be found on Chess.com, the receiver is actively competing in international championships – all seemingly identity certifying events - meant nothing. I needed to be protected, and that was the end of it. I really wish I was protected against Moneygram’s questioning instead. The sort of questioning I did not think I’d live to see and endure – all for a $100 transfer (kindly processed for a meager 11% fee).

Original review: April 19, 2018

After being lied to numerous time, had the phone hung up numerous times by dishonest rude Western Union employees I changed to MoneyGram and never had any of the issues or problems that I experienced with Western Union. MoneyGram is very quick, efficient, professional and polite. My only request is for them to change their system to allow transfers to a bank account. I have never ever had a money transfer declined by MoneyGram.

Original review: April 17, 2018

Living in the United States, and trying to send money overseas using the online service is basically impossible. I don't understand why they even offer it. You will be forced to go to an office and pay the extra fee. And if you call customer service, be prepared for talking to the biggest collection of morons on earth. You will never get by the first denial of transfer. It's almost worth calling only to tell these clowns how pathetic they are. I haven't tried sending within the United States to others in America, but I would be double, triple, 100 times angrier if my transaction was denied. In a few years when cryptocurrency is accepted mainstream, companies like this will be only memories like dialing the operator for a long distance call.

Original review: April 14, 2018

I opened an online account with MoneyGram and tried to send $800 back home to purchase building materials. However, my bank stopped the transaction due to the irregular withdrawal. I called my bank and they removed the restriction so my transaction could go through. By this time money had already blocked my account. I called MoneyGram to explain what had happened and after a long discussion was told to called back the next 48 hrs. When I did call back I was simply told my account will be blocked indefinitely... No explanation. I know there's a lot of scamming going on but it's MoneyGram ** job to put things in place to adequately differentiate between good customers and B.S.

MoneyGram expert review by ConsumerAffairs

MoneyGram was established in 1988 and took its current form in 1998, but it has a history going back to 1940 with the Travelers Express Company. It became a publically-traded company in 2004 and is headquartered in Dallas. MoneyGram offers money transfers, bill pay services, money orders and other financial services.

• Reload mobile minutes: MoneyGram’s Mobile Top-Up service lets customers add minutes to pre-paid cell phones on over 350 carriers in more 100 countries. Minutes are added almost instantly.

• Bill pay: Consumers can pay healthcare bills or make child support payments using MoneyGram. They can pay with cash, a bank account or a credit card. Interested customers can see the list of information they will need on the company’s website.

• Gift cards: Consumers can use MoneyGram to reload prepaid gift cards even when they do not have the physical card. This feature can make it easy to give gifts to someone else, and funds are usually available instantly.

• MoneyGram Plus: The MoneyGram Plus program gives members exclusive discounts. Members can also elect to receive messages as soon as the recipient has funds transferred to them.

• App: The MoneyGram app allows customers to send money to other people and pay their bill directly from their mobile device. The app is available for both Apple and Android devices. Consumers must be a part of the MoneyGram Plus program to use the app.

• Best for: MoneyGram has services to meet most consumers’ needs, including individuals, business owners and travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs