3.8/5 (672 ratings)

About MoneyGram

MoneyGram provides online and in-person money transfers, money orders and bill payments. Customers can send money domestically or internationally and choose from nearly 50 different currencies.

Pros

• Large global availability
  • Flexible payout options
  • Fraud education resources

Cons

• Exchange rates can be poor
  • Fees can vary

Bottom Line

MoneyGram is one of the largest wire transfer services in the world. It lets you send and receive money, pay bills and more. The company does its best to make sure transfers are convenient, easy and safe.

Top MoneyGram Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I changed to MoneyGram and never had any of the issues or problems that I experienced with Western Union. MoneyGram is very quick, efficient, professional and polite...I have neve...

Verified

The App is easy to use, the fees are clearly indicated based on the amount you wish to send and one gives the option to send money using your bank account or debit/credit card… I...

What is MoneyGram?

MoneyGram is one of the world’s largest money transfer providers. The company has decades of experience and a trustworthy reputation. MoneyGram has made it a goal to educate its customers on fraud and take whatever precautions it can to avoid having customers transfer money to scammers.

How does MoneyGram work?

MoneyGram lets customers send money either online or in-person. To send money online, you must first create an account. From there, select either a bank or MoneyGram agent location and choose how you want to pay.

It's also possible to set up an online transfer and later pay in-store with cash by showing a government identification. For in-person service, you can go to your closest agent location with a government ID, the receiver’s information and the money you’re sending.

If you're receiving money, the sender can transfer it to a bank account, a mobile wallet or an agent location for pickup. If the money is going to a bank account or mobile wallet, there's nothing you have to do — the funds arrive in your account once the transfer is processed.

For an in-person pickup, you need the transfer reference number and a valid government ID. You may need to fill out a receive form, but it's not always required. Money sent to a MoneyGram location will be ready in minutes, but bank account transfers take longer.

MoneyGram fees

MoneyGram aims to match its competitors' rates as closely as possible. Fees vary based on several factors, including the money's destination and the type of transfer you choose. The website offers a fee estimator for a more precise idea of the costs. Exchange rates are updated in real time, but customers have noted in reviews that these rates aren’t always as good as what some competitors offer.

MoneyGram FAQ

Where can I cash a MoneyGram money order?
There are a couple of ways to handle a money order from MoneyGram. It can be deposited into your bank account or cashed at many check-cashing businesses.
Can you receive MoneyGram online?
You can receive MoneyGram online if it's sent directly to a bank account or a mobile wallet. If this is the case, the money should be available online without you having to do anything.
Why does MoneyGram hold money?
MoneyGram doesn’t specify much when it comes to its policies on holding money. With most money transfer companies, holds depend on authorization, the amount sent, the destination and identification requirements.
How do I open a MoneyGram account?
Opening a MoneyGram account is a simple process. Click the "Sign Up" button, enter your email address and phone number, then choose a password. You'll then have to enter your legal name, your birth date and address. Finally, click the "Create Profile" button.
How do I get a refund from MoneyGram?
If you cancel your money order within 30 minutes of sending it, MoneyGram refunds the full amount. After that, you can still get a partial refund for up to 180 days, excluding fees.
Is MoneyGram better than Western Union?
Western Union has more locations than MoneyGram and is sometimes more competitively priced. The best thing to do is to compare rates to find which service offers a better value.

Is MoneyGram safe?

You should always treat money requests from unknown parties with extreme caution and never wire money to someone you don’t know. If you’re sending money to a friend or family member, however, MoneyGram is a safe option. As one of the world’s largest wire transfer sites, MoneyGram has plenty of experience and is a viable option for consumers who want to transfer funds.

MoneyGram Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MoneyGram?

Original review: May 14, 2022

Service is Terrible for online transactions. Waited for an hour to speak to the representative and ended up with no answer. When ask questions they keep repeating the same thing and blocked my account. Do not recommend this site.

Original review: April 21, 2022

I use MoneyGram over three years, sending family support money to my sister as monthly base, everytime less than 1000 CAD, because MoneyGram told me every transaction amount limit is 1000CAD, I have to accept two transaction if the amount over 1000CAD, today I send 1700CAD, the agent made 2 transaction for me and also charge 2 service fee...it's ok I took it, however, they only release one transaction to the receiver and hold one for no reason. Called CS, poor and broken English, said I have to go to see the agent next day to show more identification and continue verify it is me, it's totally a joke, I have showed 2 piece of my photo ID and the agent finished the 2transaction, I have got the 8 digit pickup code, why bother people personally show the face again the next day... Ridiculous!!! I will stop deal with MoneyGram for sure.

Get buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 13, 2022

Tried to send money to mother in law in Ukraine. The money didn't come and was blocked. Several times I called to service. They asked me that receiver need to call to center and to answer questions (in English!). I explained she's old woman, they said - "We have a translator." She called... They answered and spoke English... No translator... no Help... Nothing. I called several times and described the situation and each time a heard a new story. The situation is very simple. They decide to steal money - randomly. Maybe some transfers could be done, but they steal money! Bottom line - they said me I'll not receive money back...

Original review: April 4, 2022

Garbage company with little to no support if something goes wrong. Save yourself some headache and time and find anyone else to send your money with. The Pony Express is probably faster and easier to use. Support can't do anything but tell you to call a phone number for help. Then they give you a phone number with a menu system that gives no option to speak with a person. If you try and cancel they will tell you you can't. Just save your time and charge back with your bank, and never use this worthless company.

Original review: April 2, 2022

I have been customer for 13 years. I always send money to my sister. Is on record. This time I send the money and I make a mistake typing the name. Was an extra A so I requested to be fix. They refuse. Hector the customer service and the supervisor treat me with no manner or courtesy out consideration of my fidelity as a customer. There are so many way and cheap to send money but I choose to stick with them. It is a shame that they let a customer go for bad customer service. Elena **

Original review: March 23, 2022

They should be reported as scam business! I sent some money to my daughter in Turkey but she was never able to receive it over there! Every time she goes to their offices, they say "there is an error." I tried to cancel the transaction online on the app, but it didn't work! It says: "error!" I called them and asked them to cancel it and they said they cannot do that! They have kept my money, neither let my daughter receive it, nor transfer it back to me! I have disputed the transaction through my bank and still waiting! This was my first time I used MoneyGram and would be my last time also using their stupid service!

Original review: March 21, 2022

I made an account online to send some money, and Moneygram security closed it within less than 10 minutes flagged for fraud. Keep in mind at this point that the only information that I entered was my name, phone, address, and email. No bank account information provided. I spoke to two customer service people and they informed me that the decision was not reversible. This makes no sense, because they didn't pull a credit report nor ask for an ID. There was not even an option to create the account in person. Know your client (KYC) is a regular process within the financial industry, but I've never encountered a worse KYC process. Previously Binance had the crown as the worst by taking more than 6 months to verify an account, but even they did better than this. Something tells me they verify your identity through social media accounts instead of someone who is authoritative.

Original review: March 17, 2022

DON'T use this service. This service is total joke. They advertise their product as an instant P2P money transfer service, meaning person to person and money is available immediately. So I sent money to my brother who needed to buy supplies for hist broken tractor, urgently. They blocked the transaction for no reason and I had to call them. They asked all kind of ** questions and at the end they decided to cancel the transaction. They said because of my brother uses his tractor for his farm business, this transaction is considered as business transaction and cannot be processed. What a joke? And they also don't want to refund your money immediately, I was told to wait 3-10 business days. Are you guys serious at all? Total scam, don't use this service.

Original review: March 4, 2022

On 3-3-2022 I had to send money to Nigeria. World Remit had changed their online system so I had to get the money over there fast. I had to create a new account. I just used my new number and it would not let me in. So I started chatting with someone. And what they told me knocked me out in the water. I was banned from ever using the system I ask why they could not give me a reason. I was mad. Because this was my new number. Never used it or anything. Now what I am going to say is how I feel. I am sorry that women are getting scammed.

But common sense would tell you if a man is asking for large sums of money you should have the better sense not to give it to them. Because of this these women, it has caused a lot of people like myself much pain. MoneyGram owes me an apology and reasons why I can not use the services anymore, If I could I would eat their butts up in court. I could not believe what I was reading. I never scam anyone. I am a woman. But because it said Africa they want to judge me.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2022

If you valid your sanity, avoid using this company. I have transferred close to 30K overseas using Moneygram. It clearly states the 96K limits for a period of months, payment was blocked every time, and I would then have to spend about 30+ minutes communicating with an agent to try to find out why it was blocked. I linked my bank account and credit card, and they had all of my personal information, but it was still not good enough. I personally think that they are bias towards the country where the money is being received. I recently attempted to send $300 to someone who will be helping to maintain my property fence and maintenance. It took 3 days to be release because it was tied to my bank account.

Then 3 days later the receiver told me that there was an issue and they could not receive the funds. I just spent another 35 mins on the phone with Moneygram. They told me that it's company policy to deny sending the money because I don't really know the receiver. OMG--is this the same company that I just used to send almost 30 K? The receiver is a person that was recommended by a Pastor I know very well. Who is "Moneygram" to tell me whether my judgement is poor or not? Makes no sense to have employees sit there and use their biased questionnaire to try to gauge whether my transaction is legitimate or not.

The algorithm or process that they use is Stupid. If I lied and said that the woman was my relative, then it would be ok. Since I have transferred thousands of dollars, does it not suffice that I have common sense to transfer $300.00 to someone new? I have wasted time and feel so irritated about this company. I will now delete my account and never use them again. I only have to find another company to use. Also, their credit card fees are ridiculously high. I linked my bank account and yet this company is denying the transfer. It could also be that maybe because I linked my bank account and the fees are much lower so they choose to deny the transfer. Failed and Biased validation process against people in poorer countries. Based on Principle, you should not use Moneygram if you are from a third world country. Their algorithm and process is biased towards you and wastes precious time having you contact them to prove yourself with every transfer.

MoneyGram Company Information