2.59/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

MoneyGram

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

MoneyGram Reviews

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

Today I decided to try MoneyGram for the first time since it was recommended by NerdWallet, it serves the country I was trying to send funds to, and because when I compared its rates to Western Union, they were better. I first tried to send funds our of my back account but my bank wasn't listed in the drop down menu and when I used the chat feature, I was told my bank wasn't in their list but they I could send funds using my debit card. So I set that up and sent a payment. About 30 minutes later, I got an email that my transaction was flagged and to call them to discuss.

I spent about 5 minutes answering a variety of questions: several security questions to verify my identity (all of which I answered correctly) and then several questions about the person I was trying to send funds to. After all that, I was told my request to send funds was denied because they believed my funds were at risk. So, here's the situation behind my transaction: I was a Peace Corps volunteer in a West African country for 2 years. Even since I left, I've been supporting a family every year by paying the kids' school fees. I sent funds once a year.

I KNOW THIS FAMILY but MoneyGram decided that my relationship wasn't strong enough to warrant letting me send my money to them. What a joke!! I asked what the issue was since if passed the security screening and was just told they seemed my transaction risky and that MoneyGram is heavily regulated. I'm so annoyed! The rush if on me if I am making a mistake-which I am not. So what do they care?!? Obviously I'll be going back to Western Union. Grrrr...

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

I have been sending with MoneyGram for over a year now and no problems plus I get rewards. My problem is that I get a lot of emails from them and not one email advised me that the price to send went up. Ya'll take the time to email me but don't inform me of new things the new fee is 7.99. That's crazy and too much to pay to send money. I just checked Western Union and sending fee is 0.99, Western Union is my new company. Won't be coming back to MoneyGram with that ridiculous fee.

Get expert buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

After using MoneyGram several times to support my foster family in Kenya which I have been doing for 15 years, they have decided that I’m not allowed to send them money. We are talking about maybe 100-140 a month. Unbelievable!!!! This is awful and frustrating. My family is poor and wonderful and for MoneyGram to not allow this is horrible. Never again will I do business with them.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

I had an old credit card debt that was coming to haunt me. I wanted to make a payment so that I could put it all behind me. The creditor did not take debit or credit over the phone so I had to go to MoneyGram to make the payment. There was a location inside my local Walmart so I went there. The clerk obviously didn't know what she was doing. Somehow all of the information was correct on my transaction in regards to who the payment was going to, but it was very incorrect as in the person who sent the payment. Which was myself. I am an ** female, but the sender's name was apparently an Mexican male's name. The phone number was the number of the place I was sending my payment to. Well they never received my payment because they were looking for a payment from ME!!! I had given them the reference code and everything.

They probably thought I was blowing smoke. I sent them a picture of my receipt, but by this time, it was too late. There was already a levy placed on my bank account. I have been fighting for a week for the levy to be lifted and it's close to the 5th of the month which is when all of my bills are due. I am highly upset. All because MoneyGram didn't process my payment in my own name!!!!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

I have been using MoneyGram for about a year and was sending money about every two to three months. I Was blocked without notice. The customer service could not give me a reason. When I tried to find out how to resolve the issue they told me there is no one I can talk to for legal reasons. They could not give the legal reason nor would they transfer me to a department that could help. The agent finally transferred me to a supervisor who told me the same thing in the same words. Like they are reading from a script. I would give this company zero stars if I could. Use another service like Western Union. Western Unions rates are three times as high but have good customer service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MoneyGram?

Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

ZERO star. Beware of this platform, Misleading information of time frame provided on the website. They showed transfer within 3 hr in India. Actually when completing transfer, they sent information of transfer will take 4 days. Hope will wait for 4 days. There is no option as if I will cancel this transfer will take more than 10 days. BAD.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

I made and online transfer for 2500 on September 19 using my debit card. Up until today September 28, the money hasn’t been paid. I’ve been calling for updates; no one is able to help. Now when I login, my account doesn’t show the particular transaction. All other previous transactions are listed except the 2500. I want my money back....MoneyGram never again!!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2019

Worst money transfer experience ever I have had in my life, their customer service suck, don't waste your time and efforts and try to use them, pay little bit more in Western Union and save your headache....

Original review: Sept. 26, 2019

This is by far the worst money transfer service I've ever used. So bad that I came here for my first time to warn people that this company is a waste of your time. I sent money from my Indigo account to a debit bank card. I assumed that because it was the weekend, that I would have to wait for the weekday then possibly three business days for it to go through. WRONG! It never showed. I called to see the problem (of course I was pIsSeD!¡) and come to find out my bank doesn't accept their service and I have to wait 2-10 business days for my refund. I use Venmo and apparently they're the only ones I can actually rely on to do a job correctly. How sad.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY TO SEND MONEY. They arbitrarily close your account without any explanation, telling you "you are a security risk" when in fact I am simply trying to send money to my husband rent money and my children's school tuition money. You cannot get answers from them. I intend to contact my attorney. It is discrimination. They do not provide any customer service or explanation.

MoneyGram expert review by ConsumerAffairs

MoneyGram was established in 1988 and took its current form in 1998, but it has a history going back to 1940 with the Travelers Express Company. It became a publically-traded company in 2004 and is headquartered in Dallas. MoneyGram offers money transfers, bill pay services, money orders and other financial services.

• Reload mobile minutes: MoneyGram’s Mobile Top-Up service lets customers add minutes to pre-paid cell phones on over 350 carriers in more 100 countries. Minutes are added almost instantly.

• Bill pay: Consumers can pay healthcare bills or make child support payments using MoneyGram. They can pay with cash, a bank account or a credit card. Interested customers can see the list of information they will need on the company’s website.

• Gift cards: Consumers can use MoneyGram to reload prepaid gift cards even when they do not have the physical card. This feature can make it easy to give gifts to someone else, and funds are usually available instantly.

• MoneyGram Plus: The MoneyGram Plus program gives members exclusive discounts. Members can also elect to receive messages as soon as the recipient has funds transferred to them.

• App: The MoneyGram app allows customers to send money to other people and pay their bill directly from their mobile device. The app is available for both Apple and Android devices. Consumers must be a part of the MoneyGram Plus program to use the app.

• Best for: MoneyGram has services to meet most consumers’ needs, including individuals, business owners and travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs