3.9/5 (696 ratings)

About MoneyGram

MoneyGram provides online and in-person money transfers, money orders and bill payments. Customers can send money domestically or internationally and choose from nearly 50 different currencies.

Pros

• Large global availability
  • Flexible payout options
  • Fraud education resources

Cons

• Exchange rates can be poor
  • Fees can vary

Bottom Line

MoneyGram is one of the largest wire transfer services in the world. It lets you send and receive money, pay bills and more. The company does its best to make sure transfers are convenient, easy and safe.

Top MoneyGram Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I changed to MoneyGram and never had any of the issues or problems that I experienced with Western Union. MoneyGram is very quick, efficient, professional and polite...I have neve...

Verified

The App is easy to use, the fees are clearly indicated based on the amount you wish to send and one gives the option to send money using your bank account or debit/credit card… I...

What is MoneyGram?

MoneyGram is one of the world’s largest money transfer providers. The company has decades of experience and a trustworthy reputation. MoneyGram has made it a goal to educate its customers on fraud and take whatever precautions it can to avoid having customers transfer money to scammers.

How does MoneyGram work?

MoneyGram lets customers send money either online or in-person. To send money online, you must first create an account. From there, select either a bank or MoneyGram agent location and choose how you want to pay.

It's also possible to set up an online transfer and later pay in-store with cash by showing a government identification. For in-person service, you can go to your closest agent location with a government ID, the receiver’s information and the money you’re sending.

If you're receiving money, the sender can transfer it to a bank account, a mobile wallet or an agent location for pickup. If the money is going to a bank account or mobile wallet, there's nothing you have to do — the funds arrive in your account once the transfer is processed.

For an in-person pickup, you need the transfer reference number and a valid government ID. You may need to fill out a receive form, but it's not always required. Money sent to a MoneyGram location will be ready in minutes, but bank account transfers take longer.

MoneyGram fees

MoneyGram aims to match its competitors' rates as closely as possible. Fees vary based on several factors, including the money's destination and the type of transfer you choose. The website offers a fee estimator for a more precise idea of the costs. Exchange rates are updated in real time, but customers have noted in reviews that these rates aren’t always as good as what some competitors offer.

MoneyGram FAQ

Where can I cash a MoneyGram money order?
There are a couple of ways to handle a money order from MoneyGram. It can be deposited into your bank account or cashed at many check-cashing businesses.
Can you receive MoneyGram online?
You can receive MoneyGram online if it's sent directly to a bank account or a mobile wallet. If this is the case, the money should be available online without you having to do anything.
Why does MoneyGram hold money?
MoneyGram doesn’t specify much when it comes to its policies on holding money. With most money transfer companies, holds depend on authorization, the amount sent, the destination and identification requirements.
How do I open a MoneyGram account?
Opening a MoneyGram account is a simple process. Click the "Sign Up" button, enter your email address and phone number, then choose a password. You'll then have to enter your legal name, your birth date and address. Finally, click the "Create Profile" button.
How do I get a refund from MoneyGram?
If you cancel your money order within 30 minutes of sending it, MoneyGram refunds the full amount. After that, you can still get a partial refund for up to 180 days, excluding fees.
Is MoneyGram better than Western Union?
Western Union has more locations than MoneyGram and is sometimes more competitively priced. The best thing to do is to compare rates to find which service offers a better value.

Is MoneyGram safe?

You should always treat money requests from unknown parties with extreme caution and never wire money to someone you don’t know. If you’re sending money to a friend or family member, however, MoneyGram is a safe option. As one of the world’s largest wire transfer sites, MoneyGram has plenty of experience and is a viable option for consumers who want to transfer funds.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MoneyGram?

Original review: Sept. 17, 2022

Updated on 09/20/2022: I am very upset because not only that are not giving an explanation why they cancel my account. Now they are blocking me from other companies that are associated with them. I opened an account with Remitly and they cancel and close my account permanently too. I am not a person who are involved in any problems in my life. I want to know the reason why?. At least give an explanation to take care this mistake. If I have to do an legal action to take care this issues. Please I am asking for your help.

Original Review: I had trying to send money using MoneyGram. They denied me with no explanations. I have done nothing wrong. All I want an explanation and they don’t want to give it to me. I don’t think this is fair. At least they should tell you the reasons why?. I am a good citizen. Do not know what’s going on with this company.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

Wife has sent money to our checking acct via a Moneygram. Today is the third transaction. We are both on the account. The first time took 4 days. I chatted online and was told to call support which was useless. Finally I was told she had to call because she was the sender. The second time 1 day and she had to call to verify she sent it. Today she called and was told that the recipient had to call and verify even though their online "self help" says the recipient doesn't have to do anything. So far I have chatted online with 2 useless reps and made two useless phone calls to reach no one and sent two emails with no response. Tech support rivals AT&T and US Congress.

Get buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2022

Paid for the fast send option to send money to my boyfriend for an emergency within 10 mins and tells me that it will take 2 bus. days to get the money and will not refund my money for fast send fee. Called and said I needed to verify info.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2022

What a bad experience... After being promised to send money after 10 mins to Colombia...it's been now more than 10 days and still waiting.... Customer service not much help either... Please do yourself a favor and find somebody else to send money abroad if you need the money soon....

Original review: Aug. 11, 2022

I am the money sender, and my receiver is still waiting for a week now. I have been unable to receive my reference number for 4 days now. I used the account charge option, and my account cleared several days ago. I do not see absolutely any reason for the delay, yet they are still not releasing the funds. It looks like my funds are frozen and in nowhere. This is so disappointing and unfortunate. This was the last time I used this company. They already gave me a hard time in the past.

Original review: July 26, 2022

I sent some money to someone from the Philippines, and I received an email that the money was sent and is ready to be picked up by the recipient. I sent all the info to the recipient and after a few hours MoneyGram suspended my account, citing "MoneyGram’s review of your profile and associated activity has identified it as being at high risk of fraud, scams, or other associated activity which may include a violation of MoneyGram’s Terms and Conditions". I don't know what kind of fraud and scam can be sending about 91$ to a friend from Philippines. And I have a job where I earn the money. I contacted the customer support but I haven't received any answer from them. Now I'm waiting to get my money back.

Original review: July 25, 2022

My close friend from the USA sent me $300 for my birthday! I have not been able to receive my money transfer for a week now, MoneyGram, decided to ruin my holiday, they do not give me my money back! I am a citizen of Ukraine, now I have to live in Peru, because of the war in Ukraine. There is a difficulty with communication, in Peru they rarely speak English, those who support money gram in Peru speak English very poorly. I called, they asked me a lot of questions about my personal life and the person who sent me the money order. Do you think it's normal to delve into "someone else's dirty shorts"??? Those support promised to transport me within 2 days, no call. They don't answer my email. They can look across the entire customer base that this person has been sending me money orders for eight years. In Ukraine they never asked me personal questions. Terrible service, I hate it!

Original review: July 22, 2022

Someone was able to pick up my money without an ID only with reference number from the paper I got, they have a lot of security issues in UK, how can you let someone pick up some money without ID CARD?? This is insane. They are the worst company and I am going to sue them for my money.

Original review: July 20, 2022

I was sending money through Western Union but recently I have tried Moneygram, which work with Alrajhi bank. My experience is very bad when any issue in transaction. No response to multiple emails & call.

Original review: July 9, 2022

MoneyGram is by far the cheapest service to use if you're sending money outside the U.S. I frequently send money to a friend in Honduras. Whether I send $20 or $1,700 the rate is only $1.99. I will always use and recommend Moneygram for this service!!!

MoneyGram Company Information