1.02/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

MoneyGram

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 9, 2017

532 MoneyGram Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

After 2 months, 4 claim card submissions, and hundreds of phone calls, still I have not received my refund. I have literally done everything except for showing up at the home office to try and get my money. Every time I call it's the same, "the money order is still outstanding, we have not received a claim card." I have physically mailed, faxed, and emailed my claim card on 4 occasions. What can I do to get my money back. The customer service operator refuses to transfer me to a member of management. I have called 5 times today, and nothing. They have $650 of mine and they refuse to give it back. I could lose my place to live over this, I couldn't even afford gas this week. I need help, someone, anyone, please...

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

My client sent me money from USA for more than 5 days now and MoneyGram for no reason refuse to complete the transfer. My client had called them countless times, they questioned him and promise to complete the transaction but to no avail. I tried to call them, they blocked my location from accessing them claiming Nigerians are frauds. I have worked with this client for years now and he know how efficient I'm and he confirmed that to MoneyGram it yet they ignored him. I have asked them to refund my client so we can use Western Union, they also refused, claiming the fund was already processed and can never be given back. I haven't experience such in my entire life. It's so inhuman and unpractical. Blocking me off after calling them and refusing to complete the transaction because I'm a Nigerian, is the most racial discriminatory experience one can ever have! Please keep off MoneyGram.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

They do not tell you that there is a limit on the cash you can receive. They do not answer questions, because they don't know. My father send me money and they took it without problem but after that when I went to pick up they told me is a limit. How you take money and fees and do not tell your customers that you can't actually send that much money. Such a waste of time for me and my dad. They told me that my father need to call them and give me 2 invalid numbers. I hope they give him all of the money and fees back on Monday, because I am definitely ready to take this to court.

He is 65 years old. He doesn’t need to be going to MoneyGram over and over again for no reason and stress about it. Saturday and Sunday they are closed in Bulgaria so Monday he need to go ask why they promise I can get my money in 10 min. and they are holding it for 2 days without explanation. Very bad customer service too. I hope they closed the whole branch. Moneygram is not reliable money transfer and agency.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I have been sending money to Ghana for almost a year, I have been questioned, grilled every time, I've sent. I've been made to feel like a criminal or worse a terrorist, I've been flagged 3 times I'm sending to someone I know and even if I were being scammed isn't it my money.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I sent some money to a friend a week ago. They told me that the transfer couldn't be paid. They wouldn't tell me why. They told me I would not get the fee back. Now they wont give me the money back either $400. They are just crooks. Be careful. I hear Western Union is no better. I am going with a lawyer tomorrow.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MoneyGram?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

I cannot believe what they did to my account. I tried to send money to Peru and the transaction never went through. This never happened before, so I call today MoneyGram to see what was going on and they couldn't tell me. They just said that for security reasons they closed my account. I always send money to Peru to my mom and I help nonprofits organizations that help animals in Peru also. I tried to access today my account once again and they blocked my access. I cannot understand what did I do wrong. I am very disappointed at this company. I am glad that I found a better company to send money to my beloved people in my country.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

Just had an awful experience with this entity or whatever they call themselves. I created an account online to send $ to family members due to a state of emergency (hurricane). After receiving a notification that the transaction was been processed I received a call asking me to verify info. Since I didn't trust the call I contacted MoneyGram and after transferring me to 3 different depts they asked me for stupid questions like how old are you (they already have may DOB), what is the relationship between you and the receiver (it's my $. I can send it to whoever I want to), are you going to transfer $ in the future (duhhh do you want business? What is this service for? I don't think I want to after this situation).

At the end I asked for my confirmation # he didn't want to provided "for security" reasons when I already answer all my personal info. He even asked me if he can help me with something else. Hell no. You didn't with anything I asked... They shouldn't allow first users to create an account online and both sides will avoid this nonsense!!!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

I sent money to family online. It says it should be available in minutes. Fast forward about 30 minutes later and it's still showing it is processing. So, I call the number to speak to someone. They ask me to verify my information (of course repeating nothing back to make sure what they enter is correct) and then tell me that they could not verify my information so I would have to go into a MoneyGram place and send the money that way because it was denied. I ask to speak to someone else and he transfers me to some lady who tells me that MoneyGram security denied it but she can't even look at it to see anything else besides to know that I have to go into a MoneyGram center to send money.

Because now, due to the incorrect information the guy entered I was locked out of my account and couldn't send money online anymore. I was pretty upset and explained to the lady how I am epileptic and cannot drive so I needed to send it from home and she kept saying she is sorry but there is nothing they can do. They can't even get a hold of MoneyGram security. So they couldn't give me the information for them that I requested.

Anyway, after a screaming match with the lady (on my end.) She finally tells me that she can verify me if I answer all these questions. She asks them. I answer. Then she sends it to the MoneyGram security and what do you know... my account was unlocked and I could resend the money. After sending it the second time and it still processing for a while I reluctantly called back and talked to a woman this time who told me it would take up to 2 hours due to lots of people using MoneyGram. Thank you! That was all I needed to know! Now I am aware that it is not an issue with the site... just a typical wait. It's been an hour and a half since the second time I am trying to send so let's hope it actually does go through this time! I really do not want to have to call them again.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

Moneygram is **. How do they give you a ** limit to send money in America? What the hell? I guess they don't want to make money. I will never do business with them. Never. I will mail it out instead. ** Moneygram and Western Union. Kiss my mixed **.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

Someone has used my card online to send themselves money. So I call MoneyGram and because I'm not the one who sent it I can't know who picked it up or where. They tell me a police officer has to do it so I file a report. They told the cops because they didn't send the money they can't tell them who used it.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

It was just a bad experience using this service. Some of my friend try send me some money from TX and then when we want to pick up the money they said they want the sender to call them to verify some information and after that, they told him that they can't process this money transfer because the area you send to it’s scam area so they label whole area as scammer without any logical reason. This is just such a worst thing I have ever heard from money transfer company. For sure I will never use it again.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

My husband and I have been using MoneyGram for 18 months to send money to his brothers back in Nigeria. Just last week, I went to send my weekly MoneyGram to my brother in law and it wouldn't let me send it. I tried three times at two locations and it kept giving the cashier an error message. So yesterday I tried again thinking that it was maybe just that specific transaction for that one day. But I was yet again turned down for my transaction. They didn't even call me to ask if I know this person or not, they just pretty much flagged my name so I can't send money out anymore. I understand wanting to protect me but if I know my receiver then it shouldn't be an issue. They suck and Western Union sucks too. Neither one is good. It's like it's my money and I should be able to send my money to my family whenever the hell I want to. If those people fall victim to a fraud, then that's not everyone else's problem.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

Our friend in Ghana needed money to take his pregnant wife to the hospital. My wife tried using three different credit cards and each time the transaction was denied. She called her credit card company and they said that nothing was denied. So I tried using two different credit cards plus my bank account. Each transaction was denied. I called and got the same story from the Indian call center. They were very sorry that I couldn't sent the money but I need to check with my credit card company. We gave up and my wife went to Western Union nearby and sent the money.

I complained to MoneyGram and got a response: "At this time we would like to refer you to use one of our store locations. A list of locations can be found at www.moneygram.com and click "Find A Location". Your MoneyGram Online profile is blocked because of breaching Terms & Conditions you agreed on, while you were setting up the profile. Due to security purposes we are not able to provide you any detailed information on checks that were triggered. Please be also informed that regarding your actions against our Terms & Conditions, there is no further possibility for you to use our online services. "

My wife's account was not blocked but mine was when I did the same thing she did. Except I send a complaint! And of course they cannot tell me why they blocked my account. We will never use MoneyGram as we would have to go to a store location and Western Union is closer for us. Plus we do not want to deal with MoneyGram ever again.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

Reading the previous posts, I find a general trend. Seems as if every state has a high rate of money laundering. Money can't be processed. I attempted to send 960$ to my son in Iowa for meds. Most of us use a money transfer company because someone needs the money quickly. I was asked 10 or more questions about the recipient. Still the money could not be sent. The person I spoke with said he was calling from Poland or is Polish. I know the difference between a Polish accent and a Spanish accent. This is the second time I have attempted to send money through MoneyGram. Same results. The transaction was made through a large local supermarket chain. I will contact their headquarters and suggest they return to Western Union. The profit from a MoneyGram transfer is greater than Western Union. Western Union charged me far less. If possible I would rate MoneyGram below one star.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

I had sent money to a party over the weekend and wanted to send more so tried it online but no luck. The first time I contacted customer service I was given a strange reason why their security system canceled my online initiated money transfer, at no fault of mine. Said, I should give first name, last name and not business name. They asked me to try again. I did and it got cancelled by their system again. I called back and was given yet another bizarre reason that made no sense (that receiving party related security concern is the reason when I had sent money to them before using MoneyGram!) so I requested to speak with supervisor and the representative just hung up on me!

I called them again and the rep this time says, "As per terms we can deny or cancel a transaction without giving you a reason! I said all I am trying to do is send funds over and I am unable to, but nothing offered by them to help me. All they said is, "Your account is active so try another if you want." I tried another transfer the next day. This time to my parents and that got canceled again! I called in and same BS was given to me. I asked them to close my account and not store any of my personal info as I was DONE with them! I used Western Union and was able to accomplish it within minutes! Stay away from MoneyGram!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

This company has had nearly $6000.00 in their coffers for over five months due to a postal loss. I recently inquired and applied for a refund only to find that they will keep my money for another 20 days and then if I pay $22.00 more they then will ship it overnight. I will never use this money grabbing rip off company again EVER!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

Do not use MoneyGram. I have sent money to Belize 2000 dollars. I was charged 100 dollars fee. Then when my niece went to pick it up, 3 places were not working. Computers were down. She found one that was open, but she was told she could not get the money until she provided receipts of purchases, for example doctors bills, equipment that was bought. What a joke!!! She was told there is a 500 dollars limit that can be sent. Only, no one told me this beforehand and now all the trouble to get money back. Plus I lost 100 dollars for nothing.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

My cousin sent me money to take care of his rent. I went to MoneyGram to cash it and I was told "The money has been sent back to the sender" and that I should call him to call MoneyGram for explanation. He did call MoneyGram and they told him to split the money which he did. I went the second time to pick it up and I was told the same story again. I called Moneygram and they told to call the sender again, wtf. He changed to Western Union and I just received the money. And the customer service, omg I wished I could spit on them through the phone, total **. Don't try MoneyGram, is a stupid entity.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

So I bought and paid for a Money Order and send it to a vendor in Nagpur India. Upon receiving it, they took it to a Major Bank to cash. Upon bank's review, they could not cash it, as they never saw one. I called MoneyGram to inquire for assistance and got MAJOR runaround. Time is money FOLKS. I had to send for refund. Next up the FEE for refund... EIGHTEEN dollar (18) should be 1.8 dollars. I will spend the rest of my life bad mouthing MONEYGRAM. Losers...

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

I tried to send money to my dad for his medications. The "systems were down" according to 4 different locations. I called the corporate number. They said systems were not down. Well I continued to let them know that the locations were not giving my dad his money and that they kept saying systems were down. So I proceeded to cancel the transaction. 10 freaken business days it will take to get my money back!?! They are punishing me because of their screw up! Horrible place. I would not recommend them to anyone. In fact I would send people to Western Union in a heart beat.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

Was camping across multiple states and broke down in Ohio. Had my brother in law send us $1200 for repairs etc. Of my own money and was faced with 4hrs of back and forth phone calls with customer service including a supv. (Call center is in India... yes the country.) They kept saying they needed to speak with the sender and put a hold on the money. After the sender called them 2x for the same "questions or interrogations", followed by their, rude and "I can't tell you any information” as to why my money was being held... I was then told by the sender my brother in law the money was not being sent and he was to go pick it up at CVS where he sent it from. Upon his arrival, they gave him a $1199.93 (they kept $.07 for processing) money order which he could do nothing with as banks were closed.

Now we are stuck an additional night in the middle of nowhere having to problem solve what seemed to be plan C or even D at this point. When we returned home my husband went to the local CVS and told that the Ohio area is a high risk area for illegal drug trafficking. Really... So I am left stranded with an RV in the middle of nowhere requesting my own money be sent to me and you waste not only 4 hrs of my time, but my brother’s time at work, gas to and from CVS and Walmart where we went to pick up the wire in Ohio. Because of some assumption, by some foreigner in India telling me about what is happening in Ohio and upstate/Northern New York, USA.

This is unacceptable and you should be reported to every known BBB OR business review as unfavorable and poor. Per your website, electronic funds can be sent for more than double of what was sent both domestic and international, And to make it worst, I was transferred to a call center across the world to speak with someone I could not understand, was rude and clearly did not care about me and my troubles in the good 'Ole USA! PS, Walmart customer service was no better... shame on you too!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I went to send a total of $3,500.00 today, I sent it this morning, but there was an error in the name, I went back to get this fixed, they put me on the phone where they corrected the first transfer of $1,500. The second one of $2.000. They grilled me for 10 minutes about this, who I was sending it to, what was it for, how old was this person, how do you know her etc. This went on for 10 minutes, the guy at the end when I started questioning him on this grilling I was getting abruptly cancelled my transaction, then hung up on me, considering that I provided them with cash and my id? What they did was absolutely nasty, I felt like I was treated as a criminal, avoid these people.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

WARNING!!! MoneyGram will REFUSE to release your CASH if you do not reveal ALL OF YOUR PRIVATE INFORMATION TO THEM. You will be blacklisted by MoneyGram for not telling them exactly how and why money is withdrawn from your bank! They also will ask what your relatives use your money for!!! I have sent money to Asia for 30 years and yesterday my cash was blocked by MoneyGram. I called them to asked why and a woman started asking me questions about where my money came from and who I was sending it to and what they were using it for. I said it was none her business. She said "the MoneyGram reserves the right to review all transactions..." So I thought I would cooperate with her. What could go wrong??? BIG MISTAKE.

First questions I expected were to prevent fraud, like who are you sending the money to and where do they live... Then she asked how I know this person, I said he was a family member and she asked when I saw him last. I said "why are you asking me this?" She asked "what is he using the money for... is it a loan or gift?" I said "this is none of your business, just release the cash to him." She then went down the list of all the names of people I sent cash to over the last 20 years and wanted to know where I got the money, who employs me, what my relatives do with the money I send them. First I said I was uncomfortable with giving her all that information but I GAVE HER MORE INFORMATION THAN I SHOULD.

She then asked dozens of more extremely personal questions of who, what, when and why about me and my relatives. I said "are you ** crazy... WHY ARE YOU ASKING ME THESE QUESTIONS?? WHAT DO YOU DO WITH THE INFORMATION?? Is this a HOMELAND SECURITY ISSUE?" I was infuriated and could not stop yelling at her but she kept cool and said "Just a few more questions." I said okay "I want to see where this is going." She continued to ask me about my bank accounts, how I live, who I know, what my money was used for, how money was earned, who is on my bank accounts and how money is withdrawn...

I finally said stop asking me anymore questions. And asked if MONEYGRAM is going to release the funds or not... She said based in my not providing how money was withdrawn for my account MONEYGRAM REFUSES TO RELEASE MY CASH TO MY RELATIVE and I will be refunded the amount sent. Any company can refuse service and so can you refuse to use them.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

Extremely bad service with rude and incompetent customer service agents. I would say, stay away from MoneyGram. Do not use this service. They declined my transaction for no reason at all, and when I called to find out why, I was told they could do whatever they wanted and hung up on me. The agent I spoke to couldn't even speak English properly. How do they stay in business and why doesn't anyone do anything about this company... Is beyond me.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

MoneyGram is ridiculous. I attempted 3 times to transfer some money for personal reasons. MoneyGram took my information and showed a transfer number. Minutes later I got a phone call from a 1-800 number from a MoneyGram employee. The individual who I spoke with barely spoke English and asked numerous invasive and very personal questions. I eventually told them some of the answers to the questions were none of their business. Money transfer was then declined by their "security group"... I really would like to know what MoneyGram is doing with the information that they are collecting in this manner. It is very intrusive and personal and I feel that they are likely scamming/stealing identities with this information or at the very least... selling my personal information.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

To MoneyGram, wondering how are you supposed to receive money when you need an ID if wallet was stolen and people that are sending money are going to give you money because your wallet was stolen. Doesn't make sense and doesn't offer a good service or somebody in a bind.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

On 08/24/17 I initiated an online transaction. I received an authorization # and a references #. My receiver went to pick up the money and was told by the Agent that he had exceeded the maximum payout per receiver and was instructed to call me who in turn was to call MONEYGRAM! I was on the phone with MoneyGram for (2) two hours. I spoke to (4) different associates who were all very rude and indifferent (the worst customer service ever) finally the escalation department told me to hang up and cancel the transaction online which I did and receive a confirmation email.

Today I received a letter from my bank that MoneyGram had made (2) attempts so far to collect the moneys which they did not pay since I had in formed them of the cancellation. I also received a notice from TRS RECOVERY SERVICES INC. (A collection agency) for the same amount MONEYGRAM TRIED TO COLLECT AFTER THE TRANSACTION WAS CANCELED. I called customer service and first spoke to Malene, Mike. Marlene again and Atily (who personally said I could do whatever I want). They all rudely told me they could not do anything. I should work it out with the collection agency, even after I stated numerous time that I had cancel the Transaction and had the emails along with the Agency confirmation that the moneys was never paid out. I even suggested they call the Agent (btw). The amount of money we are discussing is $2057.99. Please any suggestion will be appreciated.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

Transferred cash to two beneficiaries in different countries that had received money in last 12 months. Both blocked without any explanation given and without warning. The sender called MoneyGram call centre 6 times so far without resolution. Visited 6 different MoneyGram agents who refuse to give refunds or have shut down. Emailed twice and later told they may take up to 90 days to respond. Call centre issued credits have all been blocked at the agents terminal twice over now. Call Centre have no empowerment and zero information on you. Every call to call centre is going back to square one and unresolved. Calls cut out and MoneyGram has a 'no outwards calls' approach so don't ever call back. Looks like I have lost both transfers, I do not have enough hours in the day to keep calling, emailing, visiting agents. MoneyGram has become a scam.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

I have tried in two different occasions to send money to loved ones via the app they have did not work. I tried to call them but thy have absolutely no clue what they doing. Their treatment is like I'm calling them from some 3rd world country. That's not how you deal with customer services.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

I have been using MoneyGram service for years. I use both the in-store locations and the online service. I have experienced so many issues with the service that I have began to think they are running some sort of scam. I mostly use the MoneyGram online. 9/10 times I use the online service the transaction is denied and I end up having to call the customer service and jump through hoops to send the cash... small amounts to my little brother for a pizza or gas money... 40-100$ each time. My husband takes our car to work so the online option is extremely convenient... or should be. When making my latest transaction I was expecting the delay... expecting to have to call customer service etc. But when I did I was told that MoneyGram security has banned me from using the online service and to my inconvenience I must send money via a store.

I asked for an explanation and was told, "Sorry ma'am but we are not given any more information than that" To which I asked whom I might get in contact with to straighten out the issue. No one. There is no way to resolve this issue or find out why it exists. But "you can still pay us your hard earned money as a customer at our in store location." I just want to say that I have also used Western Union's online and NEVER had an issue. Just a bit more expensive to send through WU but starting to see... even in this industry you get what you pay for!

MoneyGram expert review by ConsumerAffairs

MoneyGram was established in 1988 and took its current form in 1998, but it has a history going back to 1940 with the Travelers Express Company. It became a publically-traded company in 2004 and is headquartered in Dallas. MoneyGram offers money transfers, bill pay services, money orders and other financial services.

• Reload mobile minutes: MoneyGram’s Mobile Top-Up service lets customers add minutes to pre-paid cell phones on over 350 carriers in more 100 countries. Minutes are added almost instantly.
    • Bill pay: Consumers can pay healthcare bills or make child support payments using MoneyGram. They can pay with cash, a bank account or a credit card. Interested customers can see the list of information they will need on the company’s website.
    • Gift cards: Consumers can use MoneyGram to reload prepaid gift cards even when they do not have the physical card. This feature can make it easy to give gifts to someone else, and funds are usually available instantly.
    • MoneyGram Plus: The MoneyGram Plus program gives members exclusive discounts. Members can also elect to receive messages as soon as the recipient has funds transferred to them.
    • App: The MoneyGram app allows customers to send money to other people and pay their bill directly from their mobile device. The app is available for both Apple and Android devices. Consumers must be a part of the MoneyGram Plus program to use the app.
    • Best for: MoneyGram has services to meet most consumers’ needs, including individuals, business owners and travelers.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs