MoneyGram

Compare Money Transfer and International Money Transfer Services

Had my dad send me some money from the UK, MoneyGram's website said I could pick up from local post office in 10 mins...went there, post office explained they could only provide money they had in the till (???) which was a quarter of the total amount sent. So tried the only other post office with MoneyGram I could find. 25 mins drive away, same thing, no money. This money was urgent, the only thing the pair office could do is give me a MoneyGram check which takes 5 days to clear!!

If I would have know that I would have just transferred the money for free via banks instead of paying $80 for an instant service! Why is MoneyGram claiming to have a service it cannot provide? If post offices do not hold the cash MoneyGram should not be saying they can distribute the cash from these outlets. I am now left with no money! Called MoneyGram today to talk to a rep that seemed to find the situation amusing and didn't even log my complaint as I haven't even received the email she said I would to say they are investigating!

I paid 50$ for records of transactions. The company is such a joke. I'm waiting 4 weeks now and the last couple of days have been talking to their reps. Can't get the matter resolved. One of the supervisors also gave me an extension to call him but that extension doesn't exist. Don't ever use them. Go to Western Union instead.

I used MoneyGram many times to send money from Canada to my family in Russia. This time I sent USD500 to my sister and for whatever reason MoneyGram withheld it. My sister was there in person trying to collect the money. She presented her ID, the reference number, the amount, the sender's name - she had everything one needs to receive the money. Yet she was denied with no explanation offered. When I called MoneyGram here, the agent started asking me questions like what was the relation between me and the receiver and what was my reason for sending the money. After that she told me my sister can now receive the money. So my sister had to come back the next day again and collect the money.

When I questioned MoneyGram as to why the money was withheld and why I had to answer those questions, the customer service reps just kept saying this was for the security of the transaction. I was trying to understand what triggered this security check by MoneyGram so that next time I know what to expect but customer service didn't seem to understand my questions or be able to provide any specific answers. They just kept calling me "ma'am" and repeating it was for security reasons. And by the way, customer service is a third party not MoneyGram who just wasted my time. I'm still in the dark as to why I had to tell MoneyGram what my relationship was to the receiver and what was the reason I was sending them money. As far as I'm concerned it's none of their business.

Was scammed through this service. $135 stolen from me through this service, and it's completely MoneyGram's fault. I responded to a CraigsList ad and was told to process payment through MoneyGram. I called MoneyGram beforehand. I was told that the receiving party could not access my money unless they had the reference number. THOUGHT my money would be safe then. I went through with the transaction. Got an email a bit later telling me my money had been received. Called customer service to let them know I hadn't given out my reference number. (The receiver "can't" receive money unless they provide the reference code.) I WAS TOLD THAT THEY COULD ACCESS MY MONEY WITHOUT THE REFERENCE CODE IF THEY HAD "RELATIVE" INFORMATION.

I talked to 3 supervisors, they kept blowing me off, and eventually was told that "people have their ways of finding out reference numbers". (Like really?) So since they had already picked up my money, MoneyGram wouldn't refund anything, and I was told by the head honcho that I won't see anything from MoneyGram, ever. Why does this matter? Because MoneyGram acts like it a secure transaction, but in reality, it's pretty dang easy to get taken advantage of through MoneyGram. Complete scam. Worthless company only out to scam people. Oh and have fun talking to all the "English speakers" on the phone. You literally aren't going anywhere with these people.

Very disappointed and angry! My parents have sent money a few times using this service, with success. This time sending birthday money. I went to the machine as normal only to be told I have the wrong details, so contacted my parents who contacted MoneyGram and ta da all sorted. Went the next day to be told again wrong details! Have now spoken with 4 different people whom I am finding very difficult to understand, saying there is nothing they can do and keep apologizing grrrrrrrrr! It's a fault at the sender's end apparently to which my parents (the senders) are told it's all been sorted. 1 week later and I still have no money to give my daughter. I do not recommend this service and will use my bank in future. Never mind the transaction fee.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MoneyGram?

I have been using MoneyGram for years without too many problems until recently when they have gone right down the toilet. My transactions are always denied until I call a toll free number in South America and reach someone I can barely understand who asks me all sorts of personal questions such as: Age, DOB, Address, e-mail, Phone number, are you married? How long have you been married? How did you meet your wife? Why are you sending her money? How long have you known her? etc...(most of which is none of their business!) then they decline my transfer. When I ask to speak to a supervisor or manager they laugh and say that there is none there for me to speak to. UNBELIEVABLE! Do yourselves a favor and just use TransferWise, it is much cheaper and your receiver will get a much better exchange rate on the other end. SCREW MONEYGRAM! Ripoff cheesy company at best!!

Greetings: Be forewarned again. WalMart is the center of this attack. David ** from Paid survey 104 is gathering information for participants to mystery shop MoneyGram Transfer Services. It will come to you priority mail and it will be an official check. This one was for $3950. My instructions were simple enough: take $400 dollars for myself, spend $50 within the store, use two MoneyGrams totaling $50 then to send two money transfers each for $1,700 and send them to Larnaca, Larnaca In the country Cyprus. Well I had never heard of this place before in my life. I had looked up the bank, and it existed but I couldn't verified anything beyond that point. So if you get any mail that reads similar to this, don't fall victim to this. They are popular scams.

Tried to send $100 via MoneyGram to a relative. Filled out all requested information. Request was denied by my bank which thought the request might be a scam. Confirmed with bank to process the transaction. Returned to MoneyGram. Filled out all requested information AGAIN. Request was denied by MoneyGram - no reason given. MoneyGram suggested I apply again (third time) at a store and not online. The customer service is poor, the online application is not user friendly, MoneyGram requests too much personal and confidential information from the customer and, after meeting their demands, they have the audacity to refuse service without an explanation.

Moneygram gave us the worst experience ever!! They got me and my husband so furious! My husband who is in the US sent me money thru moneygram here in UAE and they cancelled it after they have withdrawn the money from my husband's account! And they could only refund it for 3-10 business days! I had to travel all the way to the exchange and to my dismay it was cancelled!

My husband called their customer hotline and nobody can give us an explanation why!!! All they said was freaking SORRY!! And no reason!! He called again the hotline and he was passed on to different people!! How stupid is that?! First off! If they have any problem with sending the money, they shouldn't accept the transaction from the start and not deduct the money from our account and leave it for refund for frigging business days! That money was supposed to be for a payment scheduled today to the bank and now we have to suffer Moneygram's disastrous service!!! Very Very disappointing!! I wouldn't even recommend Moneygram to my colleagues and friends AT ALL!!! I think they're using people's money first only to return it back after 10 business days!

They are not on duty at all. After they get the money from someone they don't care about the person who receive the money. Their machine is not working on all store. I was trying to get my money for more than 4 hours. Still I couldn't get my money.

Had to change the name of the person that I was sending money to only to find myself calling moneygram more than several times only to find that there was no chance of me getting my money back. On the initial transaction, they got the spelling on my name wrong requiring me to call them and start the whole thing over again. There's is no chance I will ever use MoneyGram ever again and do not recommend them. I'm also on several social media in which I will also post my experience with moneygram.

Today I am very upset and crying because Moneygram incorrectly processed my money order refund and I am out $1600. I reported lost and I gave them three money order serial numbers. They informed to fill out the Walmart claim card. They send one claim card without informing me that I needed three claim cards. I put all three numbers on the claim card, I checked back with Moneygram the same day and they informed they are processing all three Moneygrams. When I received one refunded check in the mail with no explanation on why they did not submit the two, I gave them a call and they blamed me for not doing the claim information correctly and they did not bother to cancel the other two even though I submitted receipts.

I wasted all my day to send money online to my cousin. She keep going to the bank and they're telling her the fund is not available. I called my bank they said "no money is being withdraw from your account." I had to call the MoneyGram again to cancel the transaction. They keep transferring me, putting me on hold and at the end hang up on me. Not once, not twice, sooo many time. I was so tired and frustrated I started banging my head on the wall. I am going after them to sue them.

I lost a money at Walmart stores. It had not been filled out in any way. I requested a replacement money order from MoneyGram and they did send it, BUT by the time I received a reply for a $25 lost money order, I only got $7. I thought they would send me another money order. Not so they $25 + $18. MoneyGram is taking money from consumers. Not good practices. The customer is losing too much. Lost Money order# **. The money order with the balance of $7. WHERES IS REST OF MY MONEY???

Never again. Not only do they charge a lot but it took 45 minutes to get an email from them with code and then it didn't work. After an hour 4 phone calls to idiots I gave up. Last time was better but still took me an hour to do it. I'm done with walmart.

I sent money through MoneyGram, and this money is not so much to cause any issue. MoneyGram refused to make the money available to the receiver. It's been over a month now and I keep calling them for my refund but they tell me different story all the time. I have been using Western Union for a long time to send money to my parent. I only used MoneyGram because someone told me it's cheaper than Western Union, the difference is just $5. Had I known that MoneyGram is a scam I would have paid the extra $5 to Western Union for peace of mind. NEVER USE MONEYGRAM FOR ANY REASON!

This is a HORRIBLE HORRIBLE company. Don't even waste one minute of your time trying to use their services. I was attempting to pay a bill using their services as I needed the money to get to the company immediately. I created an account and was using my husband's credit card to pay the bill. I thought the payment went through until I received an email stating that I needed to contact MoneyGram.

When I called them they accused me of stealing my husband's identity because I used my email to set up the account with his credit card. Mind you my husband was sitting 10 inches from me AND I even put him on the phone with MoneyGram to ensure them it was not identify theft. They argued left and right with me and told me I could never use their services again. I even asked to speak to a supervisor who barely spoke a lick of English and was incredibly belittling to me. They are a scam. I would never recommend using them. I used Western Union instead and had zero issues!

I'm a soldier in Afghanistan and tried to send money home and email not work properly so I entered alternate email and started over. Well these people call me criminal and lock account and say I must visit a location. I say if I could visit location that I no need MoneyGram.

Tried to send money to my daughter and they rejected it twice then said that I can never use MoneyGram again. They would tell me why and closed my account. This company is a rip-off. I would not suggest that someone use MoneyGram. Why does this company even exist when they can't even do their job. This is so upsetting, I am trying to help my daughter who needs it and this horrible place cannot send money. They should shut this place down. They have no business being open when they do not work.

I sent an online MoneyGram to a friend in San Antonio, TX. When the individual went to receive the money he called me and stated I needed to call MoneyGram, I called, and I appeared to be speaking to someone overseas. They began asking me very personal question, after I inform them that the transaction was authorized by myself. I began to get uncomfortable with the question concerning my personal information, and asked them to just refund the money to my card.

I called today which it has been 5 days since the transaction to inquire about the refund. I was unsuccessful in communicating with the rep due to me not being able to understand the person. I asked to be transferred to someone in the US. But the representative just hung up the phone. If MoneyGram was unable to complete the transaction for any reason they should have immediately refund the money, but it does not make any sense for them to interfere with a $200 transaction made in the United States, to another US citizen.

I have been a MoneyGram customer for quite a while. Have sent money as recently as August 12 '16. I signed in today to send money to the only person I ever send to. Made it to the process payment page, entered the amount and my card number. Got a message that they can not process my payment to call. So I called in and am told that I have been blocked and can no longer send online that I have to go into a location. I ask why and I am told that "it was a security business decision and they don't have to tell me anything." Now they did block me but still processed my card taking 1.00 stating that they do it to make sure the card is real, when this is the same card I used last time. Why are they allowed to take my money but I can not send any???

To every question I ask the response is "It's a security decision and they don't have to tell me why" and I can't even call the security department because they won't tell me anything either. This makes absolutely no sense to me at all. They can make decisions about me and don't have to tell me anything. What makes it worse is those damn security questions verifying who I am. They ask according to your drivers license, "How tall are you?" I read MY license and choose accordingly, just to be told I am wrong. Seriously WTF!!! Then I am told they have a different email address for me then what I gave. Telling me my email is not right and can not tell me what they have for security purposes.

I JUST received an email from them with my proof of transaction and another when the money was picked up. So please explain again how I am wrong??? They asked me if I know a specific person, I said, "Yes that's who's card I used to make the payment." I was told that the sender and the card info has to match, different info is not allowed. Which still doesn't make sense because that's how I always send and have never been told a thing. I think it should be MONEYGRAMS responsibility to stop the transaction if it doesn't match. That way it can be changed. They complain about it now but have had no problem collecting all those fees off of the card when I send money!!! I called customer service and told them to remove all of my information from their system that I would never do business with them again.

A BIG RIP OFF!!! Folks, I don't have time for this but thought I would share my experience to save you some trouble! I needed a couple of blank money orders from my bank. My bank happen to be out of money orders and suggest I go to Walmart across the street to purchase them. The teller also said "and it's only .70 cents each, compared to the bank's $4.00 each. Wow, that's awesome, right? Wait until I find out it was so (WRONG).

Anyway, I went across the street to Walmart and purchased 2 "MoneyGram" money orders. To make a long story short, I ended up not needing the money orders. So, I took both blank money orders, the stubs, and my id back to Walmart the next day to get my money back... Are you ready for this?? The cashier took the money orders and attempted to cash them for me. She ran the first one through their register system thing as if she was cashing a check. It got declined and printed a receipt with a reason code 2. The cashier then told me that it won't allow her to cash it, so I need to call "synergy customer service" (that's the check system company MoneyGram goes through).

Ok. So, I called synergy customer service, who then had the nerves to tell me that (Just because I purchased the money orders at the same location of cashing, doesn't guarantee they will cash it. WTH??!!) The cashier said synergy goes by risk factors and because I've never cashed a check through them makes me a high risk to cash the money order that I used cash to purchase. What kind of rule is that?? Yes, you can walk into Walmart, purchase some funky MoneyGram money orders, but you can't return them. And, they get to keep the money you paid to purchase the moneyOrder! Get the hell out of here!! You get rich while we get screwed! Never Again!

I tried to use online services and was questioned like a criminal suspect. I was then told that not only could I not perform the transaction (to SEND MY GRANDDAUGHTER $100 for her birthday within the state of Indiana), but that I was barred for life from ever being allowed to use money gram online. During my interrogation, I apparently gave the wrong email address and the trap door opened under me. They claimed I had used a different email a few years ago when I used the service for the only time ever -- and had even forgotten -- and so, for replacing a spam account with a newer email account, I was banished to the dark universe of the unacceptables.

I called back many times, each time hoping for a clear speaker of English, each time hoping for some reason. No. Each claimed that there WAS no grievance process in existence, that once decided, the decision itself goes into some dark mysterious place into which even he or she could not gaze. Ever. Again. And so, a business in America, unusable to all but the most pristinely one emailed among us. I was thinking of a lone bulb swinging from a high ceiling in a room with cracked green walls. No accountability on their part, ultimate punitive annihilation towards my part. Ah, Western Union.

I signed up with Moneygram and was initially able to set up an account. However, after closing my account because I am unable to use that email and signing up with another email, I am unable to set up an account online (with NO reason given). I was told that I am no longer able to have an online account and only able to send money at a store location using cash. Completely bad business to not have a good reason to 'permanently cancel' a person from having an account.

I have a $99 money order from MoneyGram that I didn't use, which I bought on May 2015. I tried to cash that into my account in August 2016, since it's still within 3 years of purchase. My money order got declined and to make thing worse I got charged $12 for the failed transaction. This is so wrong and unprofessional! Everyone need to boycott this MoneyGram company, they're con for sure! I think I didn't recall reading anything on charging people after 1 year! What I can recall is just that the MoneyGram need to be used within 3 years period. Please share ways how we consumer can put this con business down!

Security questions, how long have you known this person, have you meet them and when and who are they to you are you going to send them any more money, on and on and on with questions. Sending, they take your money in minutes and refund is 10 business days. Their C.S.R. has difficulty understanding English.

It's absolutely impossible doing business with Moneygram on any level. Their limit is $3,000.00 per month, I only send $270.00 and they say I have reached my limit. I recommend a boycott of Moneygram until they fix their many problems.

I recently sent money through MoneyGram to a family member which would not go through until I called and answered their silly security questions which made you feel like you were on a watch list of some sort. Then the next day I sent money to someone I had made a purchase and the transaction completed with no problem. When I tried to log into my account to send money again it would not allow me into my account. I called and they said I could no longer use their website because they did not like the transactions I had made. Mind you each transaction was less than $500. Then they tried to tell me that my account belonged to a female and they were talking to a male. How dare they presume what my gender is and how is that any of their business? First of all the persons that I spoke with when I called to answer their security questions and when I called about my account could barely speak English much less understand what I was trying to say!

July 11, 2016, I made an online money transfer for $150 through MoneyGram. July 22, 2016, I cancelled the transaction. Their terms for refund is 10 business days. It is now 22 days, and they have still NOT refunded my money. Calls are answered by operators who have some difficulty understanding English. I have now made about a dozen of such calls. They shuffle you from person to person, and promise to have someone contact you. No one ever calls. The next time you will hear from MoneyGram is when you call MoneyGram again. I am unable to understand why a business in the United States of America will try to illegally hold on to money that is not theirs. This is not a reputable company.

I sent money to my mother today, 8/8. First time, large amt. Wanted to do Walmart to Walmart but too high amt. So switch to MG. Few hrs later, call from a rep, claim to be from MG, wanting to know all these very personal questions. Where I lived, what highway, what my mother needed the money for! How is that your Biz!

Told rep did not find these questions appropriate. Didn't even blink, said they've been getting complaint of fraud to the state I'm sending to. And if I'm unwilling to answer he will refund. So he did. This is unacceptable. I will not tell some random person my own mother's history.

Had purchased money orders for rental applications and did not need two of them. A year later I went and cashed these at my personal bank and these were returned to my bank as a stop payment on these because they were over a year old. I called the MoneyGram people and was told that they charge interest on the money used to purchase the money order (this INTEREST charge is at a rate of over 20% for this). When the MoneyGram people were contacted they said they print this information on the back of the money order but unless you have vision like superman, they cannot be read by the average person with 20/20 vision.

In addition, they commented that the bank was supposed to TELL us the rules. THIS IS **!!! This company is nothing more than CROOKS and CANNOT be trusted. They are LIARS AND THIEVES!!! These $50.00 money orders ended up costing use $200.00 in total. This corrupt business needs to be put out of business!!! I had not only the money orders but ALSO the RECEIPT of my purchase but this company didn't give a rat's ass about ANY of that. THEY GOT THEIR MONEY BY STEALING FROM ME AND THAT IS ALL they cared about. I am posting to Facebook, tweeting, and instagramming my experience so that no one else falls victim to this scam.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

MoneyGram was established in 1988 and took its current form in 1998, but it has a history going back to 1940 with the Travelers Express Company. It became a publically-traded company in 2004 and is headquartered in Dallas. MoneyGram offers money transfers, bill pay services, money orders and other financial services.

• Reload mobile minutes: MoneyGram’s Mobile Top-Up service lets customers add minutes to pre-paid cell phones on over 350 carriers in more 100 countries. Minutes are added almost instantly.
  • Bill pay: Consumers can pay healthcare bills or make child support payments using MoneyGram. They can pay with cash, a bank account or a credit card. Interested customers can see the list of information they will need on the company’s website.
  • Gift cards: Consumers can use MoneyGram to reload prepaid gift cards even when they do not have the physical card. This feature can make it easy to give gifts to someone else, and funds are usually available instantly.
  • MoneyGram Plus: The MoneyGram Plus program gives members exclusive discounts. Members can also elect to receive messages as soon as the recipient has funds transferred to them.
  • App: The MoneyGram app allows customers to send money to other people and pay their bill directly from their mobile device. The app is available for both Apple and Android devices. Consumers must be a part of the MoneyGram Plus program to use the app.
  • Best for MoneyGram has services to meet most consumers’ needs, including individuals, business owners and travelers.

Compare Money Transfer and International Money Transfer