1.11/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

786 MoneyGram Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

It used to take an hour or less to send money via a bank account. Now it costs 25% more and now it takes 3-4 business days instead of the one hour. After calling in to find out why, they are using a service called PayWithMyBank. After I called in, I got someone that obviously didn't understand me very well since he decided to close my account even though I said to let it go through since canceling it would take the same amount of time as getting the money there. If you ask to speak to a manager, you get sent to an escalation line to a call center in Central America. That wouldn't be such a big deal but they could do nothing at all other than parrot to me what the other agent had already told me. What's the point of having an escalation line if they have zero ability to do anything? I had an urgent transaction that needed to be sent and now I'm screwed.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

My feedback is very similar to other low score reviews. Based on my experience I have come to the conclusion that MoneyGram are intentionally holding onto the transfer money and then lending it out to companies who provide short term high interest loans. Only when the customer gets in touch with them to query, they process the transaction!! PLEASE AVOID using MoneyGram as the whole process including their customer service representatives is shocking.

Get expert buying tips about Money Transfer and International Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

They will block your transfer without explanation. Tried to transfer money and everything came back. No explanation from customer service. They collect too much data about you e.g. social security number.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I would advise you all not to use MoneyGram. My mom received money via MoneyGram and went to Stater Brothers in Riverside California to get the money. They gave her $500 in cash and a money order for $500. My mom doesn’t have an account at the bank, so she tried to cash the check at many check cashing and they would not cash the check. I personally have spoken to 2 representatives at MoneyGram whom reassured me that any check cashing establishment would honor the money order. I’m so upset about the whole situation. If I had know that they don’t give you all your money in cash, I would have ask the sender to use Western Union instead to prevent this horrible situation.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I have had a MoneyGram account for years and used it to send small amounts of money as gifts to friends in other countries. My account was suddenly closed and I couldn’t get an explanation. The transaction that was put on hold was finally refunded to me in 12 weeks AFTER I made numerous phone calls to them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MoneyGram?

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

They change policies without informing their customers. Case in point, I usually send money to Jamaica from my bank account and choose their "cash in minutes" selection. Usually no problem. Imagine my surprise when I recently tried to do the same and told that it now takes 3-4 business days for pickup. However, if you choose to send money from a credit/debit account (which has higher fee), then you can sent cash in minutes. I called MoneyGram and they tried to explain to me that in order for them to to be able to offer their clients a lower transaction fee (now ~4 bucks) to send money from bank accounts internationally, the tradeoff is that it will now take 3-4 days before it can be picked up.

I'm sure no one minds paying 1-3 bucks more if it means their loved ones can get the money in minutes vs 3-4 days. My suspicion is that they did this so that clients can get frustrated and then choose to send their money from their credit/debit cards instead, which has significantly higher fees, if it means their family can get the money right away. I almost did this. These companies don't truly care about their customers, they are simply always trying to cook up a new way to make more money as a business. The old American way eh? The day I find another way to send money, I will. Western Union sucks and not everyone have a PayPal account.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I sent money to family and they told me it would be available in 10 minutes for pick up. The receiver tried to pick it up the next day and it was on hold. 2 days later they finally gave me a refund basically not really being able to tell me why this happened. Such a joke and a waste of my time. Never use MoneyGram ever, unless you want to be extremely frustrated.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I attempted to send money thru Moneygram for a purchase I made. I called Moneygram for a reason why I was unable to complete my transaction and was transferred to a lady who barely spoke English & was vague with her answers. I felt discriminated against and like I had done something wrong. She was very rude and refused me an explanation. She asks me some prying questions as to why I was sending money, had I ever seen the person face to face, etc. I felt very violated & like my rights of privacy had been breached. She made me feel like I was committing fraud of some kind which upset me very much. This is the second time I have been treated like this by Moneygram and I refuse to allow someone to dictate who I can and cannot send money to. It’s my money and my business. She stated I could never use their service again which is fine with me.

I never intend to. I am not a criminal and will not be made to feel like one. They provide a service to the public and do not have the right to refuse said available service when they are charging customers for their public service. I’m still upset over this. To be told you can’t use a service and flat refuse to give an explanation as to why is wrong on many levels. I care for people every day as a nurse and you can rest assured I will tell everyone I come in contact with about their ethical wrongdoing. Treatment such as this is unethical. I was discriminated against and I will not be made to feel like I done wrong.

My money is hard earned and I decide who I can send it to. It was for a car payment I was late on and needed the money in their hands ASAP. It was actually three months of payments and was urgent for me to send. Thank you Moneygram for making me feel so unnecessary. As a nurse of 36 years I would never be unethical or dishonest in such a way. Moneygram practices are less than upstanding. I’m thinking about seeking legal advice in this matter. I will never recommend this service. Never.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I tried to use the online service and they closed my account without giving me a valid reason. The Customer Care Department will not give try to resolve the situation or assist with helping you re-open your account for online use but will refer you to an IN STORE transfer. They could easily correct whatever issues they have with a customer by requesting further documentation but won't and don't care. They deny online access but will gladly take your money in store. I have been using Paypal for a while and the only reason I used MoneyGram is because it was requested by my brother who was picking the money up at a Greyhound Station with MoneyGram. I don't like being made to feel like I'm being accused of fraud and that's EXACTLY how they make you feel. NEVER AGAIN. My brother better get CashApp or something because I'm done with MoneyGram.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

Tried to send money to my brother's fiancée on his behalf. I am located in the US and she is located in the UK. I had to speak with an Indian lady who was the person you would not want to have serve any customer ever! Eventually she rejected the transaction after having me answer several indiscrete questions like what the recipient is going to do with the money I am sending... Go figure! Even though I begged them to give my brother's fiancée the money confirming the transfer they said NO WAY plus they ridiculed my poor sister-in-law at the post office where the employee was able to detect another fraud! Congratulations MoneyGram, am sorry, I am not going to use you ever again!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

DO NOT USE THIS SITE. MY FIANCE TRIED SENDING ME A LARGE AMOUNT OF MONEY TO FUND OUR WEDDING IN APRIL AND MONEYGRAM decided that our relationship wasn't real enough so they canceled the transaction and told us we'd now have to wait 3 to 12 weeks to see the refund back into his account. This was the money we were going to use to pay for the wedding and now we are needing to cancel it because MoneyGram has our funds and we're "Not real". There's no one who can assist. We just keep getting told there's nothing we can do. Customer service is horrible. I can't think of something more horrible than a company forcing a couple to cancel a wedding because they are holding all their wedding funds. Honestly worst thing you can do. I will never use this site. Ever.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE. IT IS A SCAM AND A RIP-OFF. I tried to transfer $50 to my son in an emergency situation. They took my money and reported that everything was fine. My son was unable to pick up the money because of some ERROR. I called them and got a very rude person who barely spoke English. He said that was an error and he could not tell me why. My money was simply GONE. I asked to speak to someone else and he refused. I got ripped off for $56.50 and my son was left stranded. DO NOT EVER USE THIS SERVICE. IT IS A FRAUD AND A SCAM. THEY WILL STEAL YOUR MONEY. Now I have to change my bank account because they have my card information and I don't know what they will do with it. This has been a nightmare. DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE. IT IS A SCAM.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Unbelievable with the replacement fees. Misleading. After checking on the website it stated 18.00 nonrefundable fee which I was ok with and once I received the replacements there was over 135.00 worth of fees on three money orders that were not 2 years old yet. I tried numerous of times to contact customer service and nothing always an automated voice or the call dropped. I couldn't get ahold of a real person for advice on how to go about replacing or maybe taking them into a branch. Very misleading and the fees are a rip off to the customer. I would like to be reimbursed for the extra fees that I was never notified of. Total of 90.00.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I had been using MoneyGram for several years to send money to my family in Europe but recently I had my transaction canceled. I called their customer service department and I was told they could not give me a reason for the cancelation. I tried to speak with a supervisor but received no satisfaction whatsoever. I was given no reason for being blocked "for life" and there was no way to have that rescinded. This company is terrible and I sincerely hope they are investigated and put out of business.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I sent money via MoneyGram to Metrobank Philippines. It's been 5 days since they hold the money for a nonsense reason. They said I need to change the status to claim and not receive which is actually the same. I asked for the refund instead but they told me it's hard to do refund because it's in the account already. They gave me case number and contact them for 3-5 days. After reading a lot of complaints about MoneyGram I think they should be reported because they are so many cases. I'm not gonna use MoneyGram again. They are worst! They actually doesn't deserved a star!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

After reading so many negative reviews, I finally understand what everyone was so frustrated about, when Moneygram placed a hold on my online transaction, and told me that sending money to my city was similar to a fraudulent activity. So it's now fraudulent to send money to my loved ones? They then terminated my online account without even letting me know. $4.38 per share for Moneygram stock, I'd say it's a bit overvalued, customer service is garbage and rude. My advice is switch to PayPal, or Western Union. I wish I could give a negative star rating.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

I don't understand why the US Government has allowed MoneyGram to treat customers like a piece of trash. All the reviews are bad. I made an online transaction and MoneyGram placed a hold on the transaction without letting me know. Receiver tried cashing money before I got to know and was asked to visit an agent location. I only used online transaction because I was working out in the field and had no access to an agent location. When I asked why they canceled my online account and canceled my account entirely without refunding my $546.99 after almost 17 days of they forcing me to cancel transaction. They asked me to contact my bank which is ridiculous because I have online access to my bank account.

I did contacted my bank and was told no such fund is pending to the account. Called MoneyGram again and was asked to wait 2 additional business days. For your peace of mind, don't use MoneyGram for your transfers. This warning will save you a great deal if to take it. Unfortunately I got to know of their bad reputation after finding myself in this nightmare with them. I am yet to get my refund and will be filling a fraud complaint with my bank if they can reverse the bank transfer from their end.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I have a $1200 payment I need to make for a car. Obviously, I have no car. I drove a Byrd, similar to Uber but a cycle, and went to CVS. CVS had me get on a phone to deal with MoneyGram, but they told me "good luck". I could hardly understand anything the person said but he was trying no doubt. At counter of busy CVS, they told me I needed cash and not a debit card... cash of $1299.37, really... but the actual order never came through anyway. I wasted so much time. When people need to move money quickly, they obviously aren't in the best of spirits and the entire experience was a nightmare. Now, I'm searching for a Walmart to use WU. Sorry about the review just stating the truth. Thanks.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

They closed my account and won’t tell me why…said I can only send from store location. Very strange. Refusing to say why they canceled my online account. I tried and tried to get a answer but the lady refusing to tell me why.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Regular user for over 2 years to send funds to family. Tried to do my normal transfer and got error message. Called and got the 'for security reason' with no explanation and 'you can no longer use our services', so I sent email to close account. My feeling - Something has gone wrong in the company. Buyer beware!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I send money to my sister through MoneyGram online and unfortunately had to cancel the transaction as I was told it will take 3 days for her to receive it. After cancelling the transaction I was told I will be getting my refund between 3-10 days but after 10 days with no money in my account I called MoneyGram and I was told the money will be in your account by the end of the day, 2 days later still there was no money in my account. I called again to find out what the problem was then a women told me ‘your money was transferred to your bank 2 weeks ago call your bank & find out why you didn’t receive it’... what a joke. If it was successfully transferred into my account it would have shown in my account... Up to now I still haven’t gotten my my money & I doubt I will be getting my refund... Big scammers. Please stay away from MoneyGram, use Western Union if you need to transfer money I will definitely not be using their service ever...

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I had a working account with MoneyGram. Then I try to use it again and correct password did not work so after over an hour with people on the phone who could hardly speak English I finally reset the password. Then I correctly upload my ID, send the money and thought everything was good. Then I get an email saying "Unfortunately, we were unable to process your transaction online" with no reason why. So I call and finally after almost a half hour on hold get some supervisor that says "It was determined by our security that you cannot complete the transaction" - again no reason WHY! Worse yet they even closed my account! Unbelievable!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

After 5+yrs of using MoneyGram, my transaction was cancelled without any notice, my bank statement shows that MoneyGram withdraw the money and then cancelled my transaction. I call their customer service number and a guy by the name of Edgar told me that for the security of THEIR company my transaction had been cancelled and that from now on I COULD NOT USE MONEYGRAM SERVICES that I needed to find a different company to make my transactions. I called back a day after, spoke with a guy name Andy who was another incompetent who told me that my refund was going to take 72hrs and it should be back on my bank acct by Friday, keep in mind that the 72hrs will be on Wednesday. Not Friday. I asked for an explanation since at that point I am being treated like a criminal.

I asked for his last name and he refused to provide me with his last name, I asked him to speak with his supervisor. He said he had no supervisor. I said, "Please do not play with my intelligence. Every employee has someone above them and you know you have a supervisor," he then transfers me to a girl name Kiara which was another unprofessional who lacked customer service skills and clearly was not a supervisor. Mind that I ONLY NEED AN EXPLANATION FROM MONEYGRAM AND AN APOLOGY FOR THE WAY THEY HAVE TREATED ME, AND OBVIOUSLY MY MONEY BACK. Finally I insisted about talking to Kiara's supervisor (Kiara was now the 3rd person I had spoken with already). She placed me on hold and after a few minutes she transferred me to Iri or Iris who so refused to give me an explanation on why my account was closed and my money was taken out of my bank account.

I told her that I was being treated like a criminal without any reason and I needed an explanation to which she simply replied, "I am sorry but I cannot give you any explanation." I asked again to talk to someone else above her. She said she had no supervisor. I told her that that was impossible then she said, "Well my supervisor does not talk to customers. That is not part of his job." Then I asked for his email and she said he does not take emails either. I asked what did her supervisor do? She said other tasks. I will be hiring a lawyer and I will fight for my rights and MoneyGram will have to extend an apology in writing, and I better have my money back in my account by tomorrow. STAY AWAY FROM MONEYGRAM. THEY DO NOT DESERVE OUR BUSINESS.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I tried sending my 18 yr old daughter money because she was put out on the street. Online said transaction never went through. Look at my bank account. The money is pending back. Says MoneyGram has a hold. Call MoneyGram. Says 72 hours. It's been 5 days and funds are still pending. Meantime my daughter had to sleep in a park. Needless to say she was beaten very badly and I still can't get to my child because my money is on hold and my child is in the hospital. God only knows what's going to happen. Called again today. They say 72 more hours. WTH. Never again will I or a member of my family use MoneyGram period!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I have use MoneyGram for years. Sometimes I send money to other countries such as the Philippines. Every now and then they would refuse to send the money. Even though I have been sending money to these people for years. And usually very small amounts. But I work through the glitches. But after a few years of business with MoneyGram I found out today that my account was closed. They did not inform me they were closing my account. I called them and talk to a man named Brock, I don’t think that’s his real name, and he refused to give me any information. I have never had a problem, another words MoneyGram always got their money. And I was not guilty of fraud or any impropriety so I asked Brock how they could close my account.

Anyway I was on the phone quite a while but he wouldn’t give me any information and told me that even if I went to a store to send money MoneyGram terminated me for life. He said if I didn’t believe him I should go to a store, like Walmart, and try to send money and I will find the transaction will be declined. I was guilty of no violation of any sort and without any warning my account was closed for life. There’s no way this is correct behavior for any company. I hope somebody will contact me as to how I can make a serious complaint against MoneyGram because this procedure must be stopped. Stopped now.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

It's been more than a month now that I'm keep calling the MoneyGram team for a refund. All time I am asked that in 72 hours, 24 hours etc. that I will be refunded. And now really enough is enough. No one in the call centre I keep calling is competent enough to respond to my queries. I'm just asked to keep waiting and waiting and waiting. First time they said that the lady wrongly captured my bank details despite I kept confirming my bank details with her.

Second person ended more than 30 minutes on the phone kept telling me ''please be online for a minute, for 2 minutes, for 5 minutes," just to end up saying that he escalated it and making sure that I will be refunded within 72 hours. Again I have to call back after a week and the guy I talked with said he escalated it to the concern team and they will contact me, but not even a single call or message or mail. Today same thing. I was told the same bla bla bla... REALLY IS THERE ANYONE WHO CAN HELP ME OUT WITH THE REFUND??? WHOM DO I HAVE TO ADDRESS TO???

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

Tried to log into my account today and pay a bill, as I have done many times, and found after chatting with an agent my account had been closed. No reason was given, and Iand was told to "use a different money transfer service provider from now on." I asked to speak to someone else for more information and the reply was, "I wish I could do more for you. Unfortunately, this decision cannot be overturned."

If this is based on the last transaction I sent, which was a large amount to my dad and was a loan repayment for a graduate class, then you have made a mistake. I answered all the questions after the transaction was flagged. Not sure what the issue is MoneyGram, but you definitely need to review your customer service practices. I am not a criminal for repaying a loan to a family member. I will be filing a complaint against you with the Attorney General, Consumer Protection Agency and the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I had sent a request online with my credit card. The transaction show accepted @ 23:12; at 00:29 I get an email saying my transaction was canceled. I called MG International and they tell me MG canceled the transaction due to a "high risk security" and mine is now closed. And I will no longer be able to use MG at all. And because I used my credit card it will take 3-10 days before I get mine refunded. Seriously this is so wrong.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

My account blocked for no reason. I experienced the same thing early this year. For no apparent reason(s) they blocked my account. I called, and some guy in India responded that they have the right to close my account. He even warned that I could not use their service in Walmart and any other locations of theirs. I have switched to Western Union, and I couldn't be happier. However, the only thing I do not like about Western Union is having to go to their location to send money. You cannot send money at the comfort of your home. However, generally, I am happy with Western Union. To hell with MoneyGram.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I've been sending a friend some money to help out, I've been doing this for a couple months now, now they are saying, I'm at my max limit, and I thought this for 30 days, then you can send more money. "NO," customer service told me, I can no longer send money through MoneyGram. What kind of company is this, very disappointed.

MoneyGram expert review by ConsumerAffairs

MoneyGram was established in 1988 and took its current form in 1998, but it has a history going back to 1940 with the Travelers Express Company. It became a publically-traded company in 2004 and is headquartered in Dallas. MoneyGram offers money transfers, bill pay services, money orders and other financial services.

• Reload mobile minutes: MoneyGram’s Mobile Top-Up service lets customers add minutes to pre-paid cell phones on over 350 carriers in more 100 countries. Minutes are added almost instantly.

• Bill pay: Consumers can pay healthcare bills or make child support payments using MoneyGram. They can pay with cash, a bank account or a credit card. Interested customers can see the list of information they will need on the company’s website.

• Gift cards: Consumers can use MoneyGram to reload prepaid gift cards even when they do not have the physical card. This feature can make it easy to give gifts to someone else, and funds are usually available instantly.

• MoneyGram Plus: The MoneyGram Plus program gives members exclusive discounts. Members can also elect to receive messages as soon as the recipient has funds transferred to them.

• App: The MoneyGram app allows customers to send money to other people and pay their bill directly from their mobile device. The app is available for both Apple and Android devices. Consumers must be a part of the MoneyGram Plus program to use the app.

• Best for: MoneyGram has services to meet most consumers’ needs, including individuals, business owners and travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs