MoneyGram

Compare Money Transfer and International Money Transfer Services

We were scammed out of $2000 and tried to get information from MoneyGram as to who picked up the cash. They were VERY rude and talked over us. The money was sent to Missouri at 1:27 and was to be picked up there but it wasn't picked up in Missouri at all. It was picked up in Benton, Ark at 1:45. That's pretty quick. It all seems prearranged. We were told that was against their policy but they sent it to Arkansas anyway. I tried to question them about this and they didn't want to discuss it. They kept saying, "we can't talk about this" over and over. These calls are sent out of the country and you can't understand anything they say. This company seriously needs to be looked into and shut down! How many complaints does it take to realize something is WRONG???

Sent money to my brother in Illinois to pay for his trip to assist me with family issues. 6 hours later logged into check status as he said it never got there (Walmart to Walmart). Called MG. Had to go through extensive interview and I asked if this was an ID theft scam as he asked when did I see this person last face to face, what is his job, what is our relationship and on on. To the end they stated I could return to Walmart and pick my money up. Lot of good that does for my brother. How irresponsible is this company!! Are they using the money in the interim? This company needs to have 60 minutes / 48 hours or Consumer Affairs take a look at its business practices.

I sent a online money transfer using Walmart MoneyGram on January 8 2017, and canceled the transaction on January 11 2017. MoneyGram did not return my money, so I contacted Chase to get the money back for me. MoneyGram then sold the transaction to TeleCheck, who then assigned it to TRS recovery services. This is debt collector. MoneyGram is a very dishonest company! I'm going to look for another way to send money to Mexico. Bad experience!

I have used MoneyGram online many times, today they took the money out of my account. They sent me a confirmation email, took the money out of my bank account and asked a SERIES of questions and really too personal. They asked our ages and what this person was going to do with the money!!! They asked the cross streets to where I live and what highway did I live off of and were so rude that it made no absolute sense. I spent 34 minutes out of my day with this because I did get hung up on and still have to go there after work for my refund. These people were rude and interrogated me like they were the F.B.I..

Horrible experience. I needed to send emergency funds to my son living in Ohio. 3 pm in the afternoon, the transaction was made at my local Walmart. It was to be a 10 minute transfer. 3 1/2 hours later when the money was to be picked up, it wasn't available. Calling customer service to inquire the hold up reasons resulted in a 30 minute interrogation as to why funds were being sent, and a lot of other very personal information. I treated like a liar, scammer, and thief. The end result was the funds did not get transferred and I am now fighting to get them back. Now it's too late in the day to get the $$$ to my son. Why couldn't they contact me much sooner so I could make other arrangements? What a waste of time and effort.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MoneyGram?

Me and my husband send $535 US dollars through MoneyGram in November 8th 2016 time 11:21 AM. We got a confirmation number and send it to the receiver. He went to the bank to collect the money and was told there is no info of any transaction conducted regarding the control number in their system. We contacted MoneyGram and they said the money has been received by the receiver which was not true. The time they claim the money was received in that country is impossible. This company is a rip off. We trying to find a lawyer to represent us to get our money back. I am so disappointed in this company. They are rude and disrespectful to their customers. They refuse to give a number to their management department. Please don't use this fraudulent company. They will rip you off.

Just like all the other reviews, MoneyGram is rip off. Protect yourself and stay away. If you can use another payment method, do so. First time using MoneyGram and it will be my last for use. I sent $200 US to a country. My money was on hold without any notification to me. My receiver could not receive the money and I could not get my money. I called MoneyGram about 8 times, 4 of those times a rep would say I should go collect my funds because they don't feel comfortable sending my money, the other 4 times they will say it takes time. When back to the 4 times and can't get my money back. You ask to speak with a manager the disconnect the call.

I was interrogated, like I was committing fraud! I have used MoneyGram for years, and never had a problem before now. Twice in 1 month, I was told to contact them about the money transfer to my son. Once was bad enough, but a second time was definitely harassment. The first time, I was even told I had to return to the Walmart store and show my license to customer service, and had to answer all these questions to someone I could not even understand. I never got a explanation for why they did this to my son or myself. They ask personal questions about my son, who has been in the USAF for many years, and why I sent him money!! I felt very intimidated and was not even sure, who I was talking to.

Second time was even worse. I had to answer so many questions to even get my refund back on my card! I agree with so many other complaints, very suspicious, and most important, a violation of my rights. The low voice was difficult to hear, and she was talking in a manner, as if she was threatening me if I did not comply with everything she said and asked me! WE WILL NEVER USE THIS SERVICE AGAIN!

Service was offline for over 24 hours and I was waiting on hold for over an hour without any sort of progress indication. When I called a different number, the agent voice quality was poor and quiet, and in addition to the accent of the agent, the communications were difficult. It took half an hour for the agent to realise that I was trying to send money from Australia, despite me saying it many times, at which point the agent said this was an American line.

He transferred me to the international line, where the customer service was even worse - the agent was unwilling to hear out that I was using moneygram.com.au to transfer money, instead insisting on me going to moneygram.com, which was the wrong website. The agent then continued speak on top of me and hung up. I'm appalled, but given the terrible reviews the company has, not that surprised. I will not be using them in the future and do not recommend them, despite having two transactions go through successfully previously.

I was trying to send a small amount overseas and it gets declined because of 'security reasons'. And when you call them up, they tell you no other information at all. How are these guys still in business?

WOW I NEVER would have imagined how many times this company has been SUED BY THE GOVERNMENT for ILLEGAL practices. Right up to JAN 2016 13 MILLION DOLLARS. Just Google it!!! UNBELIEVABLE, that this company is, still ALLOWED to do business in the USA!?! I wanted to purchase a phone from a lady. We agreed that it was too far to drive so she would overnight the phone me via Fedex and AFTER I received the phone I would THEN GIVE HER THE REF. NUMBER so she could go get the money. She was to send me the FedEx tracking info within a couple minutes of me doing the moneygram as she was at Fedex waiting.

I called MoneyGram on Jan 2, 2017 to confirm that UNTIL I GAVE HER the reference number that the money COULD NOT be picked up. They confirmed that was correct. I even ASKED them about A REFUND to ME if the transaction fell thru (and I did not receive my phone) to plan ahead and make sure I could get my money back from Money Gram. I also called Walmart PRIOR because that is where I was completing it and they also confirmed this and confirmed that the process of a refund was relatively simple if I needed to do that.

Long story short I realized within about 20 min of sending the MoneyGram that something wasn't right because I never heard from or could contact the person that I was buying the phone from. I called Walmart IMMEDIATELY as I was driving. They said that I had to be there in person I was back within about an hour to cancel it. They checked and it had already been cashed. I ask how is this possible they have NO INFORMATION. They were dumbfounded. Walmart call Moneygram. Then they put me on the phone with money gram. I told them that was IMPOSSIBLE since I never GAVE the recipient the ref number. They asked if the recipient had my name, address I had to have them ship my phone and the amount was obvious since it was their price.

Not to mention all of this is right on the MoneyGram that can be hacked if you know how (I was also informed that this may have been an inside deal since it happened so QUICKLY). They told me that if the recipient claims that they LOST the ref number and gives them my (SENDERS) name and amount that it was for MONEYGRAM takes it upon themselves to go ahead and release the ref number WITHOUT ANY CONTACT TO THE SENDER WHATSOEVER!! And that it was MY FAULT for giving them my info in the first place. I told them that all anyone needs is a name and general location and it takes a matter of seconds to go on the net and get ANYONE'S FULL ADDRESS they could have gotten it VERY easily even if I didn't give it out.

I am holding Moneygram FULLY responsible for my loss of the 400 due to their negligence, deception, unauthorized distribution of private information (You're telling me that if I have someone's name, address, account number that I can walk into their bank and say I'm here to pick up 400 for them and they would just say "OK? I DON'T THINK SO"). They should in NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM NEVER be allowed to give out the sender's information. ESPECIALLY with the way scams are these days. Hence that is WHY there is a ref number that the SENDER has to provide to the RECIPIENT in order for them to get the money. If it is lost (THE RECIPIENT) should HAVE TO CONTACT the SENDER and the SENDER should be given it again. I was told that this was a SECURE way to do this and that the money COULD NOT be accessed WITHOUT the ref number.

If I would have EVER been informed in ANY WAY shape or form that this was not the case and that they leak UNAUTHORIZED information I NEVER would have even considered this. There is NOWHERE on the paperwork that I received that indicated ANYTHING different than what I was told or any reference to anything THAT MAY BE DIFFERENT than what I was told. It is ludicrous that a company thinks that they even have a legal right to do what they did. They are a very shady, irresponsible, deceptive company and need to be held accountable for their lack of security and fraudulent actions that cost me a lot of money time and hassle this happen. I feel that it isn't as much about the scam as THE FACT that Moneygram ALLOWED/ACTUALLY MADE this happen.

Also on a SNEAKY note as I'm sure you all have realized, they outsource their calls to a OVERSEAS CALL CENTER with people that are VERY hard to understand. Walmart and I both had to ask, them to repeat what THEY said NUMEROUS TIMES, because they are SO HARD to understand. I FIRMLY BELIEVE that they do this on purpose to avoid your ability to COMPLETELY understand what they say AND OR HOPE you get disgusted and just hang up on them which is what I was forced to do.

I'm a Project Manager at Quality Drywall, Inc. and could not send money to my business partner. After talking to Customer Service they told me they did not felt comfortable with my transactions. This be the last time I ever send money thru MoneyGram.

I did online transfer to my nephew. Got an email asking me to call to continue the transaction. 18664509897, I called. Was asking so many personal questions and never ending, so I gave up, canceled the transaction. Was afraid that all the information are stolen. The rep. spoke in very low voice. Worst service ever!

I attempted to send money online for the first time and received an error and a number to call. Upon placing the call I'm placed on hold for 30 minutes between 2 reps, only to be told I can't send money online!! Meanwhile, they have a record of my attempt and all my personal bank and SSN information! How is this ok? No valid reason except that I need to complete the transaction in person! So what happens to my personal information or their database? This is unethical and a smells more fraudulent than anything! Take your business elsewhere, if you can!

The worst company ever. So, so, so disappointed. I am using MoneyGram for about 4 years and as I am very busy person I decided to try their online service, but somehow it was denying my transaction. I called listed number 18009227146 and guy named Omar asked me my full name, my email address and my last 4 digit of SSN. And he said that I cannot send any money online as he could not find me in public records. I was so confused. Why he asked my full info and what system he used that it showed no records of me? And he spoke to me like I was scammer or something like that.

How on earth company that I used so many, many times cannot find my info from their system. When I go to Walmart and CBS and try to send money they always have my account. This guy Omar telling me that there is no public records and that I am not approved to transfer online. Now I cannot trust this company anymore and I am afraid that I gave my full info to that Omar. He btw spoke English barely which for me sounded fishy. Do not trust this company!

Terrible company. I was basically interrogated on the phone, in attempt to send my child money. Just get an email later stating my transaction has been canceled. When I called to find out why the Rep from India tried to say I wasn't whom I claim to be... mind you these people have all of my info. I don't feel comfortable w/ this, why have online options if you are going to give people a hard time. l will stick to Western Union.

Wow. First of all I just wanted to change the state my friend was picking up money. They transferred me 4 times! 4! Asked me very old questions about my ex husband... and the age of his sister. Where do they get their questions? Only to tell me my transaction has been cancelled. And Serious attitude problems like 'my' English was bad. I know I answered most of them right but they just kept going and going! Freaking ridiculous. What an inconvenience. Will Never deal with these people again... Even the supervisor was rude... if it was even a supervisor. So very disappointed in this customer service. They don't even speak good English!

I've tried three times now to send money - not huge amounts, a few hundred dollars - with MoneyGram, and every time, I am asked for my passport information, social security number, an extra check with my bank, and every time I still must call and explain to them what I'm sending money for (are these my parents?), confirm more information, answer personal questions from rude customer service reps, and then am told that "security just doesn't feel comfortable with this transaction" with no explanation. It's worth the extra money to use WU or...literally anything else. Just not Moneygram, ever.

What's worse is that there is no way to close your account or even remove your name and email from it, so all of this personal data sits waiting for someone to breach their database and steal my identity. I hope they go out of business, which, if the reviews here are any indication, they likely will soon because they're not even processing half the transactions they could be.

Very strange company. I used online for years and then I got locked for no reason. I refused to send in my ID and went to store location for few years. Today I submitted my Walmart bank account and a military ID with just a picture and name. A hour later they granted me access to online. I went online, set up my contacts and the system asked me to change my password after I was already logged in. I changed it then the system locked me out. I called MG and they said I can never use the online feature again. Strange company. I feel like they just stole my info. I will try western union or another company. Once I find a new company I will never use these scammers again. This company make me feel unsafe.

Had my dad send me some money from the UK, MoneyGram's website said I could pick up from local post office in 10 mins...went there, post office explained they could only provide money they had in the till (???) which was a quarter of the total amount sent. So tried the only other post office with MoneyGram I could find. 25 mins drive away, same thing, no money. This money was urgent, the only thing the pair office could do is give me a MoneyGram check which takes 5 days to clear!!

If I would have know that I would have just transferred the money for free via banks instead of paying $80 for an instant service! Why is MoneyGram claiming to have a service it cannot provide? If post offices do not hold the cash MoneyGram should not be saying they can distribute the cash from these outlets. I am now left with no money! Called MoneyGram today to talk to a rep that seemed to find the situation amusing and didn't even log my complaint as I haven't even received the email she said I would to say they are investigating!

I paid 50$ for records of transactions. The company is such a joke. I'm waiting 4 weeks now and the last couple of days have been talking to their reps. Can't get the matter resolved. One of the supervisors also gave me an extension to call him but that extension doesn't exist. Don't ever use them. Go to Western Union instead.

I used MoneyGram many times to send money from Canada to my family in Russia. This time I sent USD500 to my sister and for whatever reason MoneyGram withheld it. My sister was there in person trying to collect the money. She presented her ID, the reference number, the amount, the sender's name - she had everything one needs to receive the money. Yet she was denied with no explanation offered. When I called MoneyGram here, the agent started asking me questions like what was the relation between me and the receiver and what was my reason for sending the money. After that she told me my sister can now receive the money. So my sister had to come back the next day again and collect the money.

When I questioned MoneyGram as to why the money was withheld and why I had to answer those questions, the customer service reps just kept saying this was for the security of the transaction. I was trying to understand what triggered this security check by MoneyGram so that next time I know what to expect but customer service didn't seem to understand my questions or be able to provide any specific answers. They just kept calling me "ma'am" and repeating it was for security reasons. And by the way, customer service is a third party not MoneyGram who just wasted my time. I'm still in the dark as to why I had to tell MoneyGram what my relationship was to the receiver and what was the reason I was sending them money. As far as I'm concerned it's none of their business.

Was scammed through this service. $135 stolen from me through this service, and it's completely MoneyGram's fault. I responded to a CraigsList ad and was told to process payment through MoneyGram. I called MoneyGram beforehand. I was told that the receiving party could not access my money unless they had the reference number. THOUGHT my money would be safe then. I went through with the transaction. Got an email a bit later telling me my money had been received. Called customer service to let them know I hadn't given out my reference number. (The receiver "can't" receive money unless they provide the reference code.) I WAS TOLD THAT THEY COULD ACCESS MY MONEY WITHOUT THE REFERENCE CODE IF THEY HAD "RELATIVE" INFORMATION.

I talked to 3 supervisors, they kept blowing me off, and eventually was told that "people have their ways of finding out reference numbers". (Like really?) So since they had already picked up my money, MoneyGram wouldn't refund anything, and I was told by the head honcho that I won't see anything from MoneyGram, ever. Why does this matter? Because MoneyGram acts like it a secure transaction, but in reality, it's pretty dang easy to get taken advantage of through MoneyGram. Complete scam. Worthless company only out to scam people. Oh and have fun talking to all the "English speakers" on the phone. You literally aren't going anywhere with these people.

Very disappointed and angry! My parents have sent money a few times using this service, with success. This time sending birthday money. I went to the machine as normal only to be told I have the wrong details, so contacted my parents who contacted MoneyGram and ta da all sorted. Went the next day to be told again wrong details! Have now spoken with 4 different people whom I am finding very difficult to understand, saying there is nothing they can do and keep apologizing grrrrrrrrr! It's a fault at the sender's end apparently to which my parents (the senders) are told it's all been sorted. 1 week later and I still have no money to give my daughter. I do not recommend this service and will use my bank in future. Never mind the transaction fee.

I have been using MoneyGram for years without too many problems until recently when they have gone right down the toilet. My transactions are always denied until I call a toll free number in South America and reach someone I can barely understand who asks me all sorts of personal questions such as: Age, DOB, Address, e-mail, Phone number, are you married? How long have you been married? How did you meet your wife? Why are you sending her money? How long have you known her? etc...(most of which is none of their business!) then they decline my transfer. When I ask to speak to a supervisor or manager they laugh and say that there is none there for me to speak to. UNBELIEVABLE! Do yourselves a favor and just use TransferWise, it is much cheaper and your receiver will get a much better exchange rate on the other end. SCREW MONEYGRAM! Ripoff cheesy company at best!!

Greetings: Be forewarned again. WalMart is the center of this attack. David ** from Paid survey 104 is gathering information for participants to mystery shop MoneyGram Transfer Services. It will come to you priority mail and it will be an official check. This one was for $3950. My instructions were simple enough: take $400 dollars for myself, spend $50 within the store, use two MoneyGrams totaling $50 then to send two money transfers each for $1,700 and send them to Larnaca, Larnaca In the country Cyprus. Well I had never heard of this place before in my life. I had looked up the bank, and it existed but I couldn't verified anything beyond that point. So if you get any mail that reads similar to this, don't fall victim to this. They are popular scams.

Tried to send $100 via MoneyGram to a relative. Filled out all requested information. Request was denied by my bank which thought the request might be a scam. Confirmed with bank to process the transaction. Returned to MoneyGram. Filled out all requested information AGAIN. Request was denied by MoneyGram - no reason given. MoneyGram suggested I apply again (third time) at a store and not online. The customer service is poor, the online application is not user friendly, MoneyGram requests too much personal and confidential information from the customer and, after meeting their demands, they have the audacity to refuse service without an explanation.

Moneygram gave us the worst experience ever!! They got me and my husband so furious! My husband who is in the US sent me money thru moneygram here in UAE and they cancelled it after they have withdrawn the money from my husband's account! And they could only refund it for 3-10 business days! I had to travel all the way to the exchange and to my dismay it was cancelled!

My husband called their customer hotline and nobody can give us an explanation why!!! All they said was freaking SORRY!! And no reason!! He called again the hotline and he was passed on to different people!! How stupid is that?! First off! If they have any problem with sending the money, they shouldn't accept the transaction from the start and not deduct the money from our account and leave it for refund for frigging business days! That money was supposed to be for a payment scheduled today to the bank and now we have to suffer Moneygram's disastrous service!!! Very Very disappointing!! I wouldn't even recommend Moneygram to my colleagues and friends AT ALL!!! I think they're using people's money first only to return it back after 10 business days!

They are not on duty at all. After they get the money from someone they don't care about the person who receive the money. Their machine is not working on all store. I was trying to get my money for more than 4 hours. Still I couldn't get my money.

Had to change the name of the person that I was sending money to only to find myself calling moneygram more than several times only to find that there was no chance of me getting my money back. On the initial transaction, they got the spelling on my name wrong requiring me to call them and start the whole thing over again. There's is no chance I will ever use MoneyGram ever again and do not recommend them. I'm also on several social media in which I will also post my experience with moneygram.

Compare Money Transfer and International Money Transfer