1.01/5
  • 1 star
Based on 151 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 15, 2017

557 MoneyGram Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I have sent money with MoneyGram for a long time. Then I used it to send money urgently needed. They withdrew the money. Sent me a confirmation email that the transaction was processed. The next day I checked my transaction history and I could not find it listed. My mom never got the money. When I called them and was on hold for 20+ minutes they could not tell me where the money was and they said that I had to wait 3-10 days for an email explaining where the money was. I asked them to cancel the transaction and they said that it would be up to 10 days before they could refund my account. They pretty much held my money hostage. After many years, I will NEVER use their service again.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

Used MoneyGram for the 1st time - horrible experience. I’d sent money via MoneyGram on 24/11/17 to a BDO account number in the Philippines. 14 days later, I find out that money has not been received. I contacted MoneyGram via their website, but no email reply received so I phoned to the MoneyGram outlet in Australia who then advised me to contact MoneyGram directly so I did. MoneyGram confirmed the transaction failed due to account number not found. I then asked if they could please check the account number in the system so I would know if I’d made an error or if a typo was done at the MoneyGram outlet - MoneyGram stated they could not find the account details in the system.

They told me they can arrange a refund. I’d explained to them that I am currently not in Australia and leaving for the next country tomorrow morning so I asked if I could send my sister to collect the refund so she can forward the money to the correct account on my behalf as I will need this money for when I am in the Philippines next month. They refused to give me special consideration and explained that the only way I can get my money back is if I collected it myself from an outlet.

I cannot believe the sheer lack of professionalism and understanding by the employees of MoneyGram - to give a person special consideration especially that I was not notified of the failed transaction by MoneyGram - after all, I had paid money for the service as well as provided MoneyGram my contact details. Had I been notified sooner of the error, I would have been able to take corrective actions immediately - before leaving Australia. Now, I am in another country with limited knowledge of the MoneyGram outlets around.

To confound the problem, I have a flight to catch to another country tomorrow. I am on a tour so will only be at any one place for 1-2 days. All I am asking is special consideration (on the proviso correct identifying documents are presented on my behalf)... Sadly, MoneyGram's officiousness, lack of empathy, and accountability has caused heightened anxiety on my part. I will never ever use MoneyGram again & strongly advise everyone I know against MoneyGram. Customer service remains a lot to be desired. They are not reliable.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Upon attempting to send money to my wife (who was in Costa Rica), I was told by a customer care representative that even though I processed a transaction, it was canceled. Of course I asked why and THEY stated that I could only send a certain amount in a 1 month period of time. So, since the transaction was canceled... I thought everything was fine. Well, since I attempted to send money and it was canceled... They decided to withdraw the money I was trying to send AND told me that they would reimburse me in 14 days. If the transaction didn't go through for WHATEVER reason, there's no reason to withdraw any money. I will NEVER USE THIS SERVICE AGAIN!!!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

Been sending to two friends in Costa Rica for a year or so and suddenly The wizards at MoneyGram decides that there must be some Tomfoolery Going on, because Shazam. Something is fissish in Denmark and I Can no longer help my friends out by sending them money. Maybe there are drugs involved with such a large amount of money that I am sending, after all 50 dollars buys a lot of drugs??? MoneyGram people are a bunch of young idiots.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I've run a legitimate online stock index trading program for the last 14 years. As a convenience to subscribers, I offered MoneyGram as a payment choice. However, my experience, and that of my subscribers with MoneyGram has been horrible. Payments that are sent cannot be retrieved because of some "security" issue. When pressed to explain what the issue is, their customer service reps simply say that information is not available to them. If the person sending the money calls for an explanation, they are grilled with security questions that have nothing to do with the matter at hand. Frankly speaking, it is none of MoneyGram's damn business with any of this. If the sender provides adequate identification, and the receiver of the funds does the same, what concern is it of theirs what the transfer is for?

And then, to pour salt into the wound, after the transfer has been cancelled, through no fault of either the sender or receiver, the funds are not returned immediately to the sender. They are told the refund will take 3 to 5 business days. This after the money was immediately removed from their bank account at the beginning of this mess. What a scam. Avoid doing business with this company. You will regret the experience.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MoneyGram?

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I Went to MoneyGram to wire x amount of money due to funeral overseas, the clerk processed transaction and said that funds will be available in 10 minutes, because of the time difference, a relative overseas went to the bank to receive the transfer next morning and was told by the MoneyGram overseas that there was NO transfer. You need to realize that I had no idea that the money were Not transferred. The only way I found out because I called my relative overseas to find out if everything was going good with the funeral etc., - Only then I found out that they did not receive the money.

I called MoneyGram right away, and after going through all their BS - to press One for this... Press Two for this... After probably half hour I got someone on the phone... Who started asking me all kinds of questions for another 15 - 20 minutes. After all that "verification" the operator said that the money were Not transferred. I asked why and why Nobody in their company called me right away when they received the transfer and told me that they will not be transferring money??? The operator told me that she will have to transfer me to another department. I asked her to, "Please make sure to tell all what you've asked me already to another department so they won't be asking me same questions". She said, "Sure, no problem!"

When I finally got transferred to another department, the other operator or however you call this people - started asking all the same questions again... Except... Started asking me really wired questions like: What is the nearest road to where you live, who is the person are you transferring the money to, how old that person, what is the relationship, why are you sending this money for?!! Who died overseas? So... That was THE END OF MY Patience... After that I just refused to answer any other questions. They put me on hold... After 3 minutes came back and said that they suspect that this is a scam. Therefore they will not be transferring the money. So, Horrible experience, Awful customer service, Heartless employees and Worst Company to go to if you need to transfer money!!!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

I tried to execute an international transfer using MoneyGram. I could not do that online because they locked my account for an unknown reason. I went to one of their locations to initiate the transfer. They deducted the money from my debit card and said to wait a day for the transfer to be processed. I checked the transfer status after 3 days and it was "processing".

I called the help desk. They told me to go the location again. I did that. They said that there were some technical issues, but it should be OK now. Received a phone call after a few days that they could not execute the transfer and I need to go to their location to claim the money back again! This is totally unacceptable! It took them 7 days to realize that they could not execute the transfer and I was forced to visit them 3 times! I still do not know how much time it will take to get my money back.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I send money with Western Union all the time without any issue. I gave MoneyGram a try as it had lower transfer rates. It took all my information, photos of ID all personal information, bank account numbers and the transfer was initiated. 3 hrs later I can't login into their website. I call the customer support and they say my account is locked and I can't send money online anymore after taking all my freaking information. They told me I have to go to a location to wire money. I am very pissed with MoneyGram and will never use it ever again.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

I have a checking account full of money to send, a great credit score. I set up my account with all of the valid information MoneyGram requested. Upon trying wire money for the first time, I received a error code saying it "could not be completed at this time". I contacted customer support. All they could say is "we are sorry, but we cannot complete your transaction. You will need to find another company to wire money." When I asked them for an explanation they said, "For security reasons." They could not provide any other information. :( Man. I'm trying to get money to an orphanage in Kenya. The children are suffering with pneumonia. This is very frustrating in a very personal way.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

I tried to send money to a friend in Spain this evening, and the cashier advised me it was rejected! She this has only had this happened once before. She gave me a receipt and paperwork and I left. When I got home I looked at the receipt, and it shows that I received the cash back, since I used a debit card! I assumed that since the transaction was voided, I wasn't charged. I checked my bank statement, and the charge was there, and no pending credit! I drove back to Wal-mart, asked to speak to a manager, and after 1 and a half hours, and talking to several different management personnel, I got my money back. They had to verify my story by observing the security footage.

This same individual flagged my account in the past, because she thought it was suspicious, preventing me from sending money, and spent most of her time questioning my motives and making assumptions. I believe she voided it on purpose to prevent the transaction, this has to be the worst experience in my entire life. The management staff were very apologetic, but I believe it is personnel like herself that makes judgment calls, and it is none of her concern. Now my family member does have enough money to fly home, and I cannot get it to them. Thank you so much MoneyGram by judging my motives, my family member cannot get home.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I sent money to my son in Lubbock Texas, it was a horrible experience. They have listed many locations there in Lubbock but none of them are actually working. He drove from place to place trying to find one active location. Finally he found one, got a money order, not cash and then he had to go to another location to cash it. On top of that he paid to cash the money order on top of the payment I made here in Dallas to send the money. Please do not use MoneyGram to send money.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I completed two transactions on MoneyGram this morning. I live in Mexico, but my bank accounts are in the US. I use Western Union regularly with no problems, but the fees are a bit more expensive. So, I thought I'd give Moneygram a try to save a few bucks. I sent the first transfer to my landlord for rent. It seemed to go through. I was charged and received a reference number. He received a confirmation email. A few minutes later I sent a transfer to myself. I had to upload a picture of my passport. No big deal. I did. The transaction was placed under review, then cleared. Again, money taken from my account. Then about 10 minutes later, I received two emails, saying both transfers were cancelled. I called to find out why. None of the agents were capable of telling me anything that wasn't in their script. The escalation manager was no better.

So, I'm here now with unpaid rent and $2000 pending in my checking account. My rent is late and the deposit on my new place wasn't made. I likely lost it. All MoneyGram can do is repeat the same things, none of which are helpful. How difficult would it be to not take money out of an account unless the transfer has cleared the fraud department? I've had a few Western Unions here and there cancel, but I am never charged FIRST. The staff is clueless, the system makes no sense, and the few dollars I would have saved, not worth it. I DO NOT RECOMMEND USING MONEYGRAM FOR ANY ONLINE TRANSFERS. And, after the nightmare of 3 managers, 10 transfers, and unhelpful Facebook message, coupled with the fact I have no money, I wouldn't use them again if someone paid me to.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I purchased a money order from this company and it didn't reach the intended person. When I called them to check on the status, they said it was cashed but wouldn't tell me when it was cashed or by whom. They said they could send a copy of the cashed money order within 60 days for $18.00 or I could pay $26.00 to have an expedited copy sent within 2 days. They said if it was stolen, I would have to file a police report to sue the person to who stole it to try to get the money back! Do not waste your time or money with MoneyGram - Just send cash and get it insured!!!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

UNSATISFACTORY - I created an online account and tried to complete a transaction. The online account also asks for a copy of the front and back of your driver's license, if that isn't enough information. I was denied. I called the number and she said I could either go to Wal-Mart or answer additional security questions...like where I previously lived and in what state did I have my social security card issued. Very invasive but I did it. Lady representative said to retry and it would go through. Tried again, same info, denied again.

Called and the gentleman said I needed to contact my bank, and I know nothing was wrong on that end other than I tried twice to process, or I could go to Wal-Mart. So I tried another card...denied again. Not only did they have a copy of my DL but also CC information and SS information...very suspicious activity. Oh, and Wal-Mart has a good scam, deny the senders so you have to go into their shop. Why have an online service if you are going to deny people who have given more information online than they would in person. THIS IS A JOKE OR SCAM.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

Tried to send money to my son, got an email that he could pick it up and when he did, he was told I needed to call MoneyGram. I did and was kept on the phone for at least 30 minutes answering questions about everything but my weight and was then told my transaction was denied. Imagine my surprise when my bank account showed they took out the money even though they denied the transaction. Now I have to apply for a refund. They tell you they are trying to prevent fraudulent scams. THEY are the fraudulent scammers. Don't use them.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

Please listen to me you DO NOT want to risk giving these people your money!!! Go to Western Union. I tried to send $2600 to TN and it took me 8 hours of their drama ** questions (after they already took my money) to find out they would not release my money to the recipient for NO REASON!! It was a mechanic who had just finished work on my 18-wheeler and my truck driver was there with the mechanic needing to pay the man but because I had not personally ever seen the mechanic face to face Moneygram refused to pay him. They take your money give you a reference number like everything is perfectly done and then IT ALL GOES DOWNHILL from that moment! I forgot to check reviews BEFORE I used them... LESSON LEARNED THE HARD WAY! DON'T waste your time people. I somehow managed to get my money back but so many others have not been so lucky.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

Opened an account to send money and everything went well except for the unusually lengthy Processing status time. Two hours later I tried to log in to check the transaction status and was denied a login due to some unspecified error. I called the number on the error page and was told that I needed to make the transaction in person but was given no reason why. To this day I still can't fathom why my account was rejected. My debit card was in good standing and there was more than enough money in my bank account to cover the transaction.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I put my DL# and my bank information up and then they just locked my account. While giving me this: "We've encountered an error. We are unable to process your request at this time. Please call 1-800-922-7146 for assistance." I called them with respect of 10min of waiting? I ask for deletion of my documents, and that person literally just said they submit a deletion request? How in the world am I gonna know if it’s deleted? Why they lock an unverified account with ID# and bank# without letting me deleting it? THIS COMPANY IS LITERALLY A FRAUD. IF YOU ARE NEW PLEASE DON'T TRY WITH THIS PIECE OF GARBAGE and they might stolen your information out!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I haven’t used this service in probably 10 years and never had a problem sending thousands of legal dollars. I call today to find out my acct is locked for security reasons since 2009. Now I’m concerned. Was my name used, why was it locked? It’s been locked temporarily since 2009!!! Yet I wasn’t notified of a potential breach, ID theft, nothing and it’s to protect the company. What about me, the consumer!?! I want to know why I was arbitrarily selected for closure yet not notified? What’s MoneyGram hiding and was my information sold or breached?! Why was I selected to disqualify service???

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I am deciding not to use MoneyGram again. Last week I did two transactions only to find that my money was return to me when the person went to pick it. To my knowledge it was sent. When I called they said they have rights to not send the monies. Be it as it may they should of stated in the system it never through. The real hurtful thing is I didn't receive all my money back and on top of this it was not my fault and they want to charge me for their negligence. I should sue them for being so unprofessional with the way it was handle.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I signed up with my email address that gives away my political opinions. They SERIOUSLY told me they shut down my account because they weren't comfortable but give NO REASON as to why they felt uncomfortable. This IS DISCRIMINATION and I'M SUING THE HELL OUT OF THEM.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

l live in 132 unit apartments and we can only pay from a bank account or MoneyGram. I paid my rent got a receipt and 4 days later got a pay rent or vacate in my mailbox. To find out several other people in my apartments got a notice also. When asked the manager she said it was a glitch on MoneyGram. All this time it’s still on my record. Now landlord hasn't removed it and MoneyGram sure can’t.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I am highly disappointed with MoneyGram. I was waiting on an important money transfer. The money was sent but every time I went to pick it up I was told to call a number. I called and all they would tell me is that the senders needed to call, which they did 3 times being each time assured that the funds were now available, but every time I went back the funds could not be released to me. Their customer service is at best unhelpful at worst rude. It pains me to write such review since I have been using MoneyGram for some time before that. Up to that point I never really had any problem that would lead me to call customer service. My present experience with their customer service line (located God knows where) has been enough to resolutely send me to Western Union and PayPal for all my future need.

Since our conversation was going nowhere I even ask them to speak to a supervisor to which they responded that this was not an issue that a supervisor could help me with. I asked for an actual number in the USA or even the corporate office number, and they flat out refused. I have never written a review on a company whatsoever. NEVER. When disappointed with a company I usually simply tell the people around me (family and friends) but that's it. I am so pissed and disappointed at this company that I have to write something. I do not recommend using MoneyGram. If you are disappointed with this company please pass the word.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I tried to send money overseas. It was a bank transaction. Everything looked like it was going good - I received a confirmation that the funds were sent, with a reference number. So, I provided that information to my payee. They went to collect it and were unable to. Then I get an e-mail saying the funds were cancelled for some odd reason. No explanation. This e-mail was sent to me: "Your transaction has been cancelled and will no longer be processed. We will refund the account you used to pay for your transaction. Refunds to a bank account typically take 10 business days, but may take longer due to bank holidays, processing times, and local laws and regulations. Refunds to a credit or debit card typically take 3–10 business days. If you have questions or concerns about why your transaction was cancelled, please call us at 1-800-922-7146, or contact us online." - I called and wrote. No response as to why.

It has now been 16 days. The only e-mail I get back asking them why or why so long the wait to receive my funds is this: "Thank you for contacting MoneyGram. We appreciate the opportunity to address any questions or concerns you may have. Your funds will be credited to your original payment source. Please be informed that you will receive your funds in 12 business days, once your refund is processed by our settlements department. We look forward to assisting you in the future, and appreciate your interest in MoneyGram.” I've written them twice and only get this stupid copied response. Horrible customer service. Will NEVER use again.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I registered online to send my nephew money. They said I was suppose to receive an email with a reference number. I never did nor did my nephew ever receive an email. I called them and they told me I needed a reference number. I tried getting into my account and it was giving me an error. She then told me my account was closed and because of security reasons she couldn't tell me. She made me feel like I had done something wrong. She also said the transaction was canceled. What upsets me is they can't tell me why. They said they were gonna refund me the money in 3 business day. We will see if I get my money back.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

After 2 months, 4 claim card submissions, and hundreds of phone calls, still I have not received my refund. I have literally done everything except for showing up at the home office to try and get my money. Every time I call it's the same, "the money order is still outstanding, we have not received a claim card." I have physically mailed, faxed, and emailed my claim card on 4 occasions. What can I do to get my money back. The customer service operator refuses to transfer me to a member of management. I have called 5 times today, and nothing. They have $650 of mine and they refuse to give it back. I could lose my place to live over this, I couldn't even afford gas this week. I need help, someone, anyone, please...

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

My client sent me money from USA for more than 5 days now and MoneyGram for no reason refuse to complete the transfer. My client had called them countless times, they questioned him and promise to complete the transaction but to no avail. I tried to call them, they blocked my location from accessing them claiming Nigerians are frauds. I have worked with this client for years now and he know how efficient I'm and he confirmed that to MoneyGram it yet they ignored him. I have asked them to refund my client so we can use Western Union, they also refused, claiming the fund was already processed and can never be given back. I haven't experience such in my entire life. It's so inhuman and unpractical. Blocking me off after calling them and refusing to complete the transaction because I'm a Nigerian, is the most racial discriminatory experience one can ever have! Please keep off MoneyGram.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

They do not tell you that there is a limit on the cash you can receive. They do not answer questions, because they don't know. My father send me money and they took it without problem but after that when I went to pick up they told me is a limit. How you take money and fees and do not tell your customers that you can't actually send that much money. Such a waste of time for me and my dad. They told me that my father need to call them and give me 2 invalid numbers. I hope they give him all of the money and fees back on Monday, because I am definitely ready to take this to court.

He is 65 years old. He doesn’t need to be going to MoneyGram over and over again for no reason and stress about it. Saturday and Sunday they are closed in Bulgaria so Monday he need to go ask why they promise I can get my money in 10 min. and they are holding it for 2 days without explanation. Very bad customer service too. I hope they closed the whole branch. Moneygram is not reliable money transfer and agency.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I have been sending money to Ghana for almost a year, I have been questioned, grilled every time, I've sent. I've been made to feel like a criminal or worse a terrorist, I've been flagged 3 times I'm sending to someone I know and even if I were being scammed isn't it my money.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I sent some money to a friend a week ago. They told me that the transfer couldn't be paid. They wouldn't tell me why. They told me I would not get the fee back. Now they wont give me the money back either $400. They are just crooks. Be careful. I hear Western Union is no better. I am going with a lawyer tomorrow.

MoneyGram expert review by ConsumerAffairs

MoneyGram was established in 1988 and took its current form in 1998, but it has a history going back to 1940 with the Travelers Express Company. It became a publically-traded company in 2004 and is headquartered in Dallas. MoneyGram offers money transfers, bill pay services, money orders and other financial services.

• Reload mobile minutes: MoneyGram’s Mobile Top-Up service lets customers add minutes to pre-paid cell phones on over 350 carriers in more 100 countries. Minutes are added almost instantly.

• Bill pay: Consumers can pay healthcare bills or make child support payments using MoneyGram. They can pay with cash, a bank account or a credit card. Interested customers can see the list of information they will need on the company’s website.

• Gift cards: Consumers can use MoneyGram to reload prepaid gift cards even when they do not have the physical card. This feature can make it easy to give gifts to someone else, and funds are usually available instantly.

• MoneyGram Plus: The MoneyGram Plus program gives members exclusive discounts. Members can also elect to receive messages as soon as the recipient has funds transferred to them.

• App: The MoneyGram app allows customers to send money to other people and pay their bill directly from their mobile device. The app is available for both Apple and Android devices. Consumers must be a part of the MoneyGram Plus program to use the app.

• Best for: MoneyGram has services to meet most consumers’ needs, including individuals, business owners and travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs