MoneyGram

Compare Money Transfer and International Money Transfer Services

Unpleasant experience. My family sent me money, I go to Walmart, try to pick it up and they make me call MoneyGram. Ok, I do so and these guys start asking million irrelevant personal questions! I'll never waste my time and go to MoneyGram again! Horrible! The guy that was on the phone with me from MoneyGram customer service was so hard to understand. So disappointed.

I have been blocked from sending money online. I called help center to tell them the only thing I did was couldn't remember my password so tried several times. When that didn't work I tried by sending as a guest. Then we tried under my husbands name. Now I am blocked!!! They said that was not a reason I would be blocked but could not tell me why. They did not have that information. So I asked who I could talk to to get it straight and was told I could not talk to anyone. Pretty much "too bad. Sorry about your luck"! So now I have to go to store to send money which I do all the time with no problems. Super frustrated!!

I just tried transferring some money to my niece that she needed for some school expenses. I went as a guest in the Walmart MoneyGram location to do the transfer as it is close from her husband work and he can get there with ease. The transaction appeared to have gone through when a message popped up telling me there was an error, to call the 800 number provided. After being questioned like a spy the woman proceeded to tell me that they would not process my transfer to go somewhere else. I asked what the problem was, they stated it was a security matter. I asked to talk to security, she stated they cannot transfer me to go use another service. What in God's name is this all about?

Wanted to send $50.00 to my fiancé’s cousin that just needed a little help. Since I was at work, I decided to use the Walmart's Moneygram online. Everything seemed fine until I got an email; "Please call us at 1-888-988-5726 to help us process your transaction. We review select transactions for consumer protection purposes. We have reviewed your transaction and determined that we need a little more information to successfully process it."

I called them up and it took 45 minutes, on hold twice, with 2 different people to answer a series of security questions that were extremely personal. I answered up to 3 consecutive questions correctly but after a few more (very personal family questions) I was starting to get aggravated and asked them to just process the transaction, at which time they stated that my transaction was declined but would not give me a reason why. They told me that if I wanted to use their services then I must do it in person at one of their authorized branches. Also, I cannot use their online service.

Run! Far! Never ever use this company. It is a waste of your time and money with their outstanding fees, invasive questions and lack of business ethics. I thought using their online service would be a convenience, but it's turned out to be an aggravating nightmare. Furthermore... I do not have access to my account to delete it or make changes! It's like they have taken it hostage!

We sent a transfer to our daughter in Canada via MoneyGram at Walmart. Trey assured us that the funds will be available for her and her baby in ten minutes. They asked for all kind of information such as names, addresses, phone numbers, etc. They gave us a confirmation number. Our daughter went to collect her funds four different times in a two days period after we did the transfer, and they did not give her any reason for denying the transfer. We went back to the Walmart store and requested they refund our money and the $30 "service fee".

The clerk called a number and after over 10 minutes of phone ringing she put us to talk on the phone with another person that sounded like she was in another country and continent... Pakistan, I believe. He asked all kinds of silly questions from us such as why we were sending the funds, who was the person we were sending the funds to, etc., etc. Finally, after 15 minutes of this nonsense, we got our money back and our so called "service fee" refunded... We will never again use MoneyGram and highly encourage anyone to avoid them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MoneyGram?

I got scam cause I want African artifacts. I met them on Kik app but scam me through MoneyGram. No tracking number or email notification. Please help me get my money back. I want double the money I gave them. So $200 dollars I want back.

I spent over an hour answering personal information in attempts to get a moneygram sent. Very personal info that is really none of their business. I went along with it for a while but it never ended and it was apparent to me they were phishing, data mining and I'm sure selling my info... It cost me 99.00 dollars and I never got the moneygram sent. I had to give up on it and then had to block them from accessing my credit card... There is something seriously wrong with Walmart and this moneygram BS... I went to FedEx, paid 23.00 and had my money sent overnight. Next day she had the money delivered to her house. These days you should never allow someone your DL number, last 4 digits of your ss # and then a long long list of your past residences and friends and family. That's just way too much info to be giving out about yourself...

I sent my brother $60 through the MoneyGram app and they pulled it from my account then refused to send it to him. Told me I could not speak with a supervisor, asked me all sorts of personal questions, and told me I could not have my money back for 3 to 10 days! They would not transfer me to America and hung up on me when I refused to stop asking for a supervisor. I filled out an online complaint form and still have not received my money back or a call from MoneyGram.

I was shocked with my recent experience with MONEYGRAM. I am a working professional and saved up charity money to send to India. I had by mistake spelled the surname of the receiver wrong. This was a completely innocent mistake. I thought the matter was resolved, when I had it corrected and the charity would have received the donate of 300. The charity called me back to say the funds had been "blocked" and I was advised to called MoneyGram. I did call MoneyGram, and requested a refund, and was told "no funds will be refunded unless I sent personal information about myself and the receiver", and was interrogated, accused of fraud, the questions were very insulting, and incriminating beyond anything I had ever experienced in my life.

MoneyGram Agents were very insulting. They refused to accept that a mistake was made. They refused to listen to their own agent explain that I was the real sender and was entitled to the refund. I wrote 6 emails, and made over 5 hours of calls to MoneyGram spread out over 3 weeks. Unfortunately, I was left with no alternative but to supply sensitive information about me and the charity receiver and was told today by email that I will get my money back 5.3.17. I accept that MoneyGram have a duty to ensure that funds are sent and received by the correct people, but I feel humiliated and verbally raped, and held to ransom when requesting my money back.

Nobody in today's world and century deserves to go through such violation of civil rights/privacy by any company or person. Such unreasonable intrusion into my private affairs felt offensive, and insulting. Further MoneyGram tried to use my private information against me to create a false and incriminating situation which did not exist. I intend to write to their commissioner of complaints when MoneyGram finally discloses the correct information. My advice is DO NOT use MoneyGram. They are acting in a very unethical manner and have no regard for their customers.

Purchased a m.o. 5 years ago for $75 plus the fee from MoneyGram. Lost the m.o. Found it recently and sent it back to the company - original m.o., receipt, etc. They charged a $66 processing fee and returned $9.00. They had to do no research since I had the original m.o. Ripped off and I would never recommend them.

I was surprised that MoneyGram treat its customers that way. No support whatsoever with incompetent staff that barely speak English, keep asking the same questions and in a rude way. To have a transaction cancelled they have to transfer my call 6 times and I have to answer this questions over and over, staff just to care and it is frustrating. I wonder why MoneyGram is not a such popular company like Western Union. Now I know and I would like to let everyone know that even it is cheaper than Western Union sometimes, do not use MoneyGram.

I wanted to send $1,000 to my cousin that was coming from Texas to NY to see me and wanted him to pick something up for me. I went through the whole process. Paid the $99.99 just to sent the $1,000. Got an email that they needed more information. I called up and it took 20 minutes and 3 different people to tell me my transaction was declined and they will not tell me why, and said I can never use their service but won't tell me why. I don't get it, that's what they do, send money from me to someone else. I'm very upset about it and just wasted my time.

I sent 200.00 to my son overseas. A whole day later they are still holding the money. I called them to ask them what's going on. I was grilled intensively! They asked me very personal questions, I was on hold for about a half hour, the whole process took about an hour on the phone with them. I will not use Moneygram ever, ever, ever again. They have lost my respect. They've lost my business. I will make sure that none of my family and friends use them. Moneygram is a business that will fail due to their terrible customer service, low class, no dignity, and stupid rules. And, it seems like the head office is in India or somewhere overseas.

I attempted to send $1,400 in cash to my spouse from CA to OH using a MoneyGram located at CVS Pharmacy. Although I carefully followed all the established protocol, MoneyGram would not release the funds to my spouse saying that the store location she was at had a recent history of theft of services. They required me to call and answer a series of security questions that were increasingly invasive. They asked personal questions that no one should ask (or answer). When I complained about answering such personal questions they stated they would not release the money if I did not follow their procedures. I finally was able to get the store manager to speak with MoneyGram to help get the funds released. I encourage anyone reading this review to think twice before using MoneyGram. Their business practices are some of the poorest I've ever encountered.

Buggy app, incompetent support, illegal practices. This service is not something I would ever use, and I suggest the same to others. I set up my account and attempted to make a payment, unsuccessfully, with the only message of there being an error and to call technical support. The support was unable to help, suggesting only that I should use a different browser. I am using Chrome, which is 58% of the browser market. Next one is IE with 20%. So they have a bug somewhere and their technical support cannot diagnose the problem.

I could not find a delete account function. This is unacceptable really, but OK, I called them and they "removed" my account. I asked if all of my data is now deleted. They said yes. However, I still had a session open and could still go to a function where I see all of my credit cards. Thus, the data was not deleted. Also, I was told I could not create a new account with the email address I used before. When I asked why, they said it's because it's on the record. So how could it be on the record if they had deleted all of my data. There are certain rules of engagement when dealing with online users, especially if the service deals with sensitive information. This company is failing on some very critical ones. I cannot believe some official government websites are working with these guys. Pretty incredible.

A few days back I sent money in the amount of $100 without any issue. 3-4 days later, I attempted to send money again, to the same person/location for less than $300. THREE AND A HALF HOURS LATER, 5-6 PHONE CALLS TO MG, my account was CLOSED, and I am told the only way I can now send money is by going to a location in person. I am SUPER WORRIED. However reading all of the horror stories of in person issues, this company is as much of a joke as WU is. Are there not ANY proper money transfer services out there?!?!?

We were scammed out of $2000 and tried to get information from MoneyGram as to who picked up the cash. They were VERY rude and talked over us. The money was sent to Missouri at 1:27 and was to be picked up there but it wasn't picked up in Missouri at all. It was picked up in Benton, Ark at 1:45. That's pretty quick. It all seems prearranged. We were told that was against their policy but they sent it to Arkansas anyway. I tried to question them about this and they didn't want to discuss it. They kept saying, "we can't talk about this" over and over. These calls are sent out of the country and you can't understand anything they say. This company seriously needs to be looked into and shut down! How many complaints does it take to realize something is WRONG???

Sent money to my brother in Illinois to pay for his trip to assist me with family issues. 6 hours later logged into check status as he said it never got there (Walmart to Walmart). Called MG. Had to go through extensive interview and I asked if this was an ID theft scam as he asked when did I see this person last face to face, what is his job, what is our relationship and on on. To the end they stated I could return to Walmart and pick my money up. Lot of good that does for my brother. How irresponsible is this company!! Are they using the money in the interim? This company needs to have 60 minutes / 48 hours or Consumer Affairs take a look at its business practices.

I sent a online money transfer using Walmart MoneyGram on January 8 2017, and canceled the transaction on January 11 2017. MoneyGram did not return my money, so I contacted Chase to get the money back for me. MoneyGram then sold the transaction to TeleCheck, who then assigned it to TRS recovery services. This is debt collector. MoneyGram is a very dishonest company! I'm going to look for another way to send money to Mexico. Bad experience!

I have used MoneyGram online many times, today they took the money out of my account. They sent me a confirmation email, took the money out of my bank account and asked a SERIES of questions and really too personal. They asked our ages and what this person was going to do with the money!!! They asked the cross streets to where I live and what highway did I live off of and were so rude that it made no absolute sense. I spent 34 minutes out of my day with this because I did get hung up on and still have to go there after work for my refund. These people were rude and interrogated me like they were the F.B.I..

Horrible experience. I needed to send emergency funds to my son living in Ohio. 3 pm in the afternoon, the transaction was made at my local Walmart. It was to be a 10 minute transfer. 3 1/2 hours later when the money was to be picked up, it wasn't available. Calling customer service to inquire the hold up reasons resulted in a 30 minute interrogation as to why funds were being sent, and a lot of other very personal information. I treated like a liar, scammer, and thief. The end result was the funds did not get transferred and I am now fighting to get them back. Now it's too late in the day to get the $$$ to my son. Why couldn't they contact me much sooner so I could make other arrangements? What a waste of time and effort.

Me and my husband send $535 US dollars through MoneyGram in November 8th 2016 time 11:21 AM. We got a confirmation number and send it to the receiver. He went to the bank to collect the money and was told there is no info of any transaction conducted regarding the control number in their system. We contacted MoneyGram and they said the money has been received by the receiver which was not true. The time they claim the money was received in that country is impossible. This company is a rip off. We trying to find a lawyer to represent us to get our money back. I am so disappointed in this company. They are rude and disrespectful to their customers. They refuse to give a number to their management department. Please don't use this fraudulent company. They will rip you off.

Just like all the other reviews, MoneyGram is rip off. Protect yourself and stay away. If you can use another payment method, do so. First time using MoneyGram and it will be my last for use. I sent $200 US to a country. My money was on hold without any notification to me. My receiver could not receive the money and I could not get my money. I called MoneyGram about 8 times, 4 of those times a rep would say I should go collect my funds because they don't feel comfortable sending my money, the other 4 times they will say it takes time. When back to the 4 times and can't get my money back. You ask to speak with a manager the disconnect the call.

I was interrogated, like I was committing fraud! I have used MoneyGram for years, and never had a problem before now. Twice in 1 month, I was told to contact them about the money transfer to my son. Once was bad enough, but a second time was definitely harassment. The first time, I was even told I had to return to the Walmart store and show my license to customer service, and had to answer all these questions to someone I could not even understand. I never got a explanation for why they did this to my son or myself. They ask personal questions about my son, who has been in the USAF for many years, and why I sent him money!! I felt very intimidated and was not even sure, who I was talking to.

Second time was even worse. I had to answer so many questions to even get my refund back on my card! I agree with so many other complaints, very suspicious, and most important, a violation of my rights. The low voice was difficult to hear, and she was talking in a manner, as if she was threatening me if I did not comply with everything she said and asked me! WE WILL NEVER USE THIS SERVICE AGAIN!

Service was offline for over 24 hours and I was waiting on hold for over an hour without any sort of progress indication. When I called a different number, the agent voice quality was poor and quiet, and in addition to the accent of the agent, the communications were difficult. It took half an hour for the agent to realise that I was trying to send money from Australia, despite me saying it many times, at which point the agent said this was an American line.

He transferred me to the international line, where the customer service was even worse - the agent was unwilling to hear out that I was using moneygram.com.au to transfer money, instead insisting on me going to moneygram.com, which was the wrong website. The agent then continued speak on top of me and hung up. I'm appalled, but given the terrible reviews the company has, not that surprised. I will not be using them in the future and do not recommend them, despite having two transactions go through successfully previously.

I was trying to send a small amount overseas and it gets declined because of 'security reasons'. And when you call them up, they tell you no other information at all. How are these guys still in business?

WOW I NEVER would have imagined how many times this company has been SUED BY THE GOVERNMENT for ILLEGAL practices. Right up to JAN 2016 13 MILLION DOLLARS. Just Google it!!! UNBELIEVABLE, that this company is, still ALLOWED to do business in the USA!?! I wanted to purchase a phone from a lady. We agreed that it was too far to drive so she would overnight the phone me via Fedex and AFTER I received the phone I would THEN GIVE HER THE REF. NUMBER so she could go get the money. She was to send me the FedEx tracking info within a couple minutes of me doing the moneygram as she was at Fedex waiting.

I called MoneyGram on Jan 2, 2017 to confirm that UNTIL I GAVE HER the reference number that the money COULD NOT be picked up. They confirmed that was correct. I even ASKED them about A REFUND to ME if the transaction fell thru (and I did not receive my phone) to plan ahead and make sure I could get my money back from Money Gram. I also called Walmart PRIOR because that is where I was completing it and they also confirmed this and confirmed that the process of a refund was relatively simple if I needed to do that.

Long story short I realized within about 20 min of sending the MoneyGram that something wasn't right because I never heard from or could contact the person that I was buying the phone from. I called Walmart IMMEDIATELY as I was driving. They said that I had to be there in person I was back within about an hour to cancel it. They checked and it had already been cashed. I ask how is this possible they have NO INFORMATION. They were dumbfounded. Walmart call Moneygram. Then they put me on the phone with money gram. I told them that was IMPOSSIBLE since I never GAVE the recipient the ref number. They asked if the recipient had my name, address I had to have them ship my phone and the amount was obvious since it was their price.

Not to mention all of this is right on the MoneyGram that can be hacked if you know how (I was also informed that this may have been an inside deal since it happened so QUICKLY). They told me that if the recipient claims that they LOST the ref number and gives them my (SENDERS) name and amount that it was for MONEYGRAM takes it upon themselves to go ahead and release the ref number WITHOUT ANY CONTACT TO THE SENDER WHATSOEVER!! And that it was MY FAULT for giving them my info in the first place. I told them that all anyone needs is a name and general location and it takes a matter of seconds to go on the net and get ANYONE'S FULL ADDRESS they could have gotten it VERY easily even if I didn't give it out.

I am holding Moneygram FULLY responsible for my loss of the 400 due to their negligence, deception, unauthorized distribution of private information (You're telling me that if I have someone's name, address, account number that I can walk into their bank and say I'm here to pick up 400 for them and they would just say "OK? I DON'T THINK SO"). They should in NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM NEVER be allowed to give out the sender's information. ESPECIALLY with the way scams are these days. Hence that is WHY there is a ref number that the SENDER has to provide to the RECIPIENT in order for them to get the money. If it is lost (THE RECIPIENT) should HAVE TO CONTACT the SENDER and the SENDER should be given it again. I was told that this was a SECURE way to do this and that the money COULD NOT be accessed WITHOUT the ref number.

If I would have EVER been informed in ANY WAY shape or form that this was not the case and that they leak UNAUTHORIZED information I NEVER would have even considered this. There is NOWHERE on the paperwork that I received that indicated ANYTHING different than what I was told or any reference to anything THAT MAY BE DIFFERENT than what I was told. It is ludicrous that a company thinks that they even have a legal right to do what they did. They are a very shady, irresponsible, deceptive company and need to be held accountable for their lack of security and fraudulent actions that cost me a lot of money time and hassle this happen. I feel that it isn't as much about the scam as THE FACT that Moneygram ALLOWED/ACTUALLY MADE this happen.

Also on a SNEAKY note as I'm sure you all have realized, they outsource their calls to a OVERSEAS CALL CENTER with people that are VERY hard to understand. Walmart and I both had to ask, them to repeat what THEY said NUMEROUS TIMES, because they are SO HARD to understand. I FIRMLY BELIEVE that they do this on purpose to avoid your ability to COMPLETELY understand what they say AND OR HOPE you get disgusted and just hang up on them which is what I was forced to do.

I'm a Project Manager at Quality Drywall, Inc. and could not send money to my business partner. After talking to Customer Service they told me they did not felt comfortable with my transactions. This be the last time I ever send money thru MoneyGram.

I did online transfer to my nephew. Got an email asking me to call to continue the transaction. 18664509897, I called. Was asking so many personal questions and never ending, so I gave up, canceled the transaction. Was afraid that all the information are stolen. The rep. spoke in very low voice. Worst service ever!

I attempted to send money online for the first time and received an error and a number to call. Upon placing the call I'm placed on hold for 30 minutes between 2 reps, only to be told I can't send money online!! Meanwhile, they have a record of my attempt and all my personal bank and SSN information! How is this ok? No valid reason except that I need to complete the transaction in person! So what happens to my personal information or their database? This is unethical and a smells more fraudulent than anything! Take your business elsewhere, if you can!

Compare Money Transfer and International Money Transfer