MoneyGram

Compare Money Transfer and International Money Transfer Services

I have tried in two different occasions to send money to loved ones via the app they have did not work. I tried to call them but thy have absolutely no clue what they doing. Their treatment is like I'm calling them from some 3rd world country. That's not how you deal with customer services.

I have been using MoneyGram service for years. I use both the in-store locations and the online service. I have experienced so many issues with the service that I have began to think they are running some sort of scam. I mostly use the MoneyGram online. 9/10 times I use the online service the transaction is denied and I end up having to call the customer service and jump through hoops to send the cash... small amounts to my little brother for a pizza or gas money... 40-100$ each time. My husband takes our car to work so the online option is extremely convenient... or should be. When making my latest transaction I was expecting the delay... expecting to have to call customer service etc. But when I did I was told that MoneyGram security has banned me from using the online service and to my inconvenience I must send money via a store.

I asked for an explanation and was told, "Sorry ma'am but we are not given any more information than that" To which I asked whom I might get in contact with to straighten out the issue. No one. There is no way to resolve this issue or find out why it exists. But "you can still pay us your hard earned money as a customer at our in store location." I just want to say that I have also used Western Union's online and NEVER had an issue. Just a bit more expensive to send through WU but starting to see... even in this industry you get what you pay for!

I tried to send money to a relative in Arizona the amount of which was 200.00. It was declined. I then called customer service and was told that I had exceeded the amount that I was allowed to send. However, when I asked what the amount was no one could tell me and no one in customer service whether or not the amount was related to me personally or it involved the amount of money that a person in New Jersey could send to someone in Arizona. I asked for a refund. I was then told that I needed to go to a Moneygram center and state I was a receiver and try and get the money that way. They told me to return to the place where I had sent the money and ask for a refund. Went to the store and they refused to give a refund stating that they did not have the cash. It seems that I am going to have to go to various Moneygram centers until I find one that can give me a refund.

I have sent money to my mother with Moneygram's app for awhile and 2x, including today in the last week, she was unable to receive it. I only send to her with their app and unfortunately they must have forgotten how to achieve this. I had to call and get transferred multiple times to even get a refund! I could not even understand most of the people working for the company until they mentioned transferring me. I will NEVER use NOR recommend this company. Horrible.

On the MoneyGram website, they say that the receiver must have the reference code and their ID to be able to pick-up your money. However, the receiver can just provide your address and/or your phone number and they can take your money. There are probably many other loopholes that scammers can use to take your money so DO NOT use MoneyGram.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MoneyGram?

The worst customer service I have ever seen. I spoke with a manager his name was Neville very rude and disrespectful would not listen to a word I was trying to say!! So I went to MoneyGram and asked to do a bill pay and they did it wrong cause my bill never got paid so I went back and forth to the store a couple of times to figure out what happened and how to get my money back so we called MoneyGram to fix it and they sent me 50$ back when I paid 50$ plus 11.99 fee they charge to pay the bill so why are they charging me a fee. They didn't even pay my bill. How is that my fault? I didn't do anything wrong just trying to pay my bill and they didn't even do that and gave me more problems than I needed. On the phone with them for hours and they still not going to give my money back. That's crazy. They need to be shut down horrible service I have ever experienced!!!

I am so tired of being interrogate by them and answering bogus questions about who I am sending money and why. The agents lie a great deal. They will cancel transactions for no reason and tell you that they have been getting complaints of fraud in the area where you live. They treat the customers like criminals. I am so sick of them.

I've been trying for a while to access my MoneyGram account as their telephone automation just looped when I tried to chat with one of their advisors. When I did get through, it was to one of the call centres who were foreign and couldn't understand me and I still never got access to my account as my login and password just wouldn't work. I left it a few weeks and tonight I wanted my account access sorted out so I could check on a few transactions to make sure that they had been completed.

I called their 1800 922 7146 number tonight and said I was locked out of my account. The guy spoke to his supervisor and said I would have to open a new account. I asked for an explanation and he said his supervisor didn't give a reason! I told him I needed access to my account for the history of transactions but basically he refused to give me any information as to why my account couldn't be used! I've used Moneygram a lot recently but I'm really so disappointed in their attitude and lack of customer service skills. The institutions who offer Moneygram services should refuse to handle any more of their transactions until they get their act together!

I have been using MoneyGram to send money to India for many years. Even last month no problem. This month I was treated like a criminal and was interrogated for one hour as well getting disconnected. The questions they asked were understandable but when it got to the point they kept putting me on hold and continuing to dig and dig as well begin to give me advice on other ways to send money and why I wasn't using them. Also, asking me if there was a welfare system in India to help the people. It was embarrassing and frustrating, to say the least. She would not stop asking questions and she was going to need to repeat the process for each transaction.

Finally, I realized no matter how many answers I gave, the money would not be released. This was after over one hour on the phone and being disconnected. And this was the 3rd time I had to answer the questions. The person who I was speaking to may have disconnected on purpose in order to not have to complete the call and knew I would have to call back in for help. Now I need to wait 3-10 business days for a refund. They should have just declined the transactions, to begin with -- instead, the system coded them as "READY FOR PICKUP." They thanked me for being a MoneyGram customer - I wanted to tell them I was no longer a customer but it wasn't worth wasting anymore or my breath or time.

Money transfer **. MoneyGram can decide to reject money transfers by surprise for no good reason. I was told after ring by telephone by the staff of MoneyGram that they were not comfortable with my transaction to my nephew, who has received funds from me via this route. They had absolutely no explanation to offer but only that they have to obey rules. Here is what they wrote in a concluding email. "We will refund the card you used to pay for the transaction. Refunds typically take 310 business days, subject to local banking hours and regulations. If you have not received your refund within 10 days, please call us at 0808-234-1093. You can view more details about this transaction from your MoneyGram online account" Well okay, like a child saying "I want to take my ball and go home." That is their obligation. Now where is my money. This STEALING in my book.

MoneyGram can decide to reject money transfers by surprise for no good reason. In such a case I complained by telephone to the staff of MoneyGram. They had absolutely no explanation to offer but only that they have to obey rules. Here is what they wrote in a concluding email (sounds like an automatic text): "MoneyGram, as a heavily regulated money service business company, has an obligation to obey many internal and international regulations. As a result, each transaction is subject to review. MoneyGram decided to return this transaction to the you. We apologize for any inconvenience this situation may have caused you."

In no way do they disclose what rules and what criteria apply. It is pure arbitrarity some sort of playing God. In the above case I had sent about 800 USD for a travel, so for us users considerable losses were incurred (because flights could not be booked, etc.) and massive efforts were necessary for getting organized in other ways. In any normal opinion this ought to be compensated, but MoneyGram rejects all responsibility. Like kids playing God. About three months later I sent some money (about 80 USD) to a friend in need, again through MoneyGram, and things went well. A month later I sent some (about 100 USD) to a friend of the previous person, and the transfer was again returned to me by surprise.

It is like some sort of roulette. I never had anything to do with money laundering or criminal connections, so MoneyGram's denials or suspicions can only come from sick fantasies. Since there is absolutely no clue as what the reason is for this bizarre behavior, MoneyGram forces its customers to never use MoneyGram anymore. Fortunately there are now many other transfer services. MoneyGram is a mediocre service anyway. Not much better than Western Union with its lousy exchange rates and high fees, but which is at least readily available, while MoneyGram agencies are very sparse.

I've been a customer for over 18 months. At first I had to jump through the hoops but then everything was fine. BUT. My daughter needed $. I thought, no problem. I have a MoneyGram account this should be easy. Nope, they took the $$ out of my account and held it, then said "Their international policies do not feel comfortable releasing the money." It's GA to FL in the USA and only $100. One guy said "I'll put a note in the file to allow you to try again." NOPE took the $$ again and held up the money. My daughter is at Walmart in tears as she needs money to put gas in her car. This is simply ridiculous. AND THEY DON'T CARE. What good is having an established account if they are just going to randomly deny the transaction for no good reason.

I was trying to send money to my grandson and was placed on hold at least six to seven times. I was asked questions which were not pertinent to my transaction. I was transferred twice. And after all the questions I was denied to send money. The only question I had was about the reference number to give to my grandson. Who lives in a different state.

It is too difficult and expensive to get a refund. Especially, more complicated if you're unable to get around all that well. Was charged over $48 for a refund. I will always encourage others to look for other alternatives and remember how this company took my money.

The hoops and red tape I had to go through was ridiculous. Appreciate being thorough but having to repeat same info. over and over and over is slightly frustrating. Last year used for first time, a breeze. This year horrendous. After multiple phone calls, emails and online info, I was told the MoneyGram security was not "comfortable" sending the funds. This after they have all my information and it was all cleared and being processed. I asked for clarification but none available. HUGE waste of time. Never again.

I have been sent money regularly from a friend abroad, for collection at my local Post Office. A few days ago, went to collect as usual. No luck, as I was told I had to upload my ID online. Applied online thinking this will be very straightforward to follow the steps to rectify the issue, as the amount was over the allowed limit of 800 in the UK before having to upload ID.

Tried for 30mins, didn't accept my driving license details online. Yes, had to call the call centre for help. This is where the whole thing became a complete nightmare. Untrained staff, rude staff, had huge difficulty understanding the accent, Spanish/Portuguese??? This was on day one. Was advised to call back in 24hrs, things will be okay then.

Tried the next day after 24hrs had lapsed, same script, didn't accept my ID, spoke to call centre again, this time the guy was Russian??? Very difficult to understand, rude unhelpful and aggressive. Couldn't care less re: my plight, that I needed the money to pay bills and buy food. Was advised to organise the sender to cancel the MoneyGram, which I had already worked out without this advice, then, the second nightmare begins, the sender is now unable to cancel the Moneygram, as allegedly, their systems are down. What is going on, as this 1,000 is sitting in MoneyGrams account and the sender cannot access it. Never again will I recommend Moneygram or use it. Utterly disgusted with the whole experience. Be warned.

I sent funds on 07/01/17 and receiver hasn't receive them, MoneyGram stated that the bank hasn't accept the funds and waiting on them to respond, but in their tracking system it states processing and when I talk with customer service they stated that the fund was not sent. I was told that internal department has my information and someone will be contact me soon. That was 4 days ago. 6 days later my transaction hasn't been sent and they do not want to issue a refund. I receive email from the bank stating that the funds was not received or deposit into the account. I will never use MoneyGram services again. SCAM at its best. Looking to file a class action lawsuit.

I live in Lesotho (Southern Africa) and the only agent offering MoneyGram services is Standard Lesotho Bank. The service is really poor, 9 out of 10 times that I have to receive money from my sister in the United States, I run into problems. The agent will tell me that the system is down and I should come back the following day or the transaction is tedious/takes too long and I have to wait a long time before being helped. Most times I end up getting the monies from laying a complaint with the branch manager. It is frustrating and an annoyance. I don't know what/ if anything you can do as you offer these people commission, but they will ruin your reputation as most people I know now opt for Western Union.

The worst experience I have ever had with sending money out of the country! Customer Care (when you call) is horrible. They lost my money. I have to wait 90 days to receive money back. None of the Customer Care Representatives knew what they were doing. This whole company needs to go under investigation!!!

I tried to wire money to a friend in need. I had to cancel the transaction and was going to re-issue it. I went to do another transaction and my account had apparently been canceled or removed. I contacted customer service and what they had said was MoneyGram felt uncomfortable doing business with me. That is as much of an answer I could get from them. They also told me to take my business elsewhere. Again no real explanation but a supposed level of "comfort."

I don't normally use these services but, with so little information of just comfort does not communicate to me an actual issue. Certainly if something on my end is in question I would certainly want to address it. If I had known that this was their design with some of their customers then I would have certainly sought another way to do that. I really do not want to provide my SPI data to a company for purposes of financial transaction if they are "uncomfortable" performing a business need or transaction. I only want to deal with business and vendors that are "comfortable" providing what their solution offering is. At this point I would suggest other people not deal with MoneyGram due to the fact they cannot answer a legitimate business and transaction question.

MoneyGram have, for years, disrespected our money laundering laws in the Republic of Ireland and the EU. Simply anyone could, up until last Friday, walk in and send any amount below 1000 euros under any name to anybody in the world including terrorists I would imagine (and let's not forget two of the three London Bridge attackers used Ireland as their base to avoid terrorist detection intelligence services). Now, since Monday, those of us who are their loyal customers have been asked by MoneyGram to, at last, comply with the basic requirements (show passport) after years of easy access. However, in an attempt to appear to be "doing something" many of us have been thrown to the dogs, and at huge inconvenience, our transactions canceled as Moneygram rapidly attempts to rack up a few statistics to look good to law enforcement. No explanations are given, just a "MoneyGram does not feel comfortable processing this transaction".

Then they hang up. If you phone back, ask for Arthur in the Indian call centre and Arthur, if pressed will advise you to send to another member of your receiver's family (Top class security there MoneyGram!!!). What a bunch of idiots. The EU needs to revoke their license to trade. We need proper protection against fraud, money laundering and terror funding, not this money mad haphazard sham MoneyGram is attempting to pull off to placate the authorities. So MoneyGgram... If a terrorist wanted to send or receive funds in Ireland and you "detected this" should they get onto Arthur in your call centre and ask if it's ok to send to another person's name? What a sham!

I sent money for a bill to the wrong code. I immediately called to get the money rerouted. They said to call back in 10 days. Each time I called they said that nothing was happening yet. I finally called the company I accidentally sent it to. They said they immediately refunded to MoneyGram (MG), and gave me the date the check was cashed by MG. I called MG after that and they told the same story that nothing was happening, and I noticed at this point I was getting hung up on, I also got hung up on the LIVE CHAT. The minute you talk about a refund they don't want to help you. They are hoping you might give up. I noticed on the MG web page there is a way to contact via email, so I did.

I also decided to contact the BBB. At this time MG is technically located at MoneyGram 1550 Utica Ave S Ste 100 St Louis Park, MN 55416-5301. At this time you would file with the Minnesota BBB office. They will send you a case #. When I emailed MG I had my evidence, check # and fact it had been cashed and the date. I never expected to get my money back. I was stunned today to see it was refunded to my account. I will never use them again. The customer service being international does not care one bit about their customers... The last time I called them the girl did not put me on hold and I could hear them laughing. All I could do was hang up never to call them again. I think if enough people complain to the BBB there might be some action. I was told at one point that they had their main office in Dallas. Be sure you know where there main office is. I think they hide if at all possible. Good luck.

Needed to send 300 dollars emergency money to my sister at 2 am. I receive the email that the transfer has been approved and money on its way. I went to sleep thinking everything was fine. Wake up in the morning to find out they had cancelled the transaction. No reason given. At 3 pm, and after calling their 800 number 2 times and going to a MoneyGram at Walmart, I find out that my online account with them had been closed and I needed to make another account with them, no other explanation given... My $300? They still have it and now I have to wait 3-10 business days to have it back in my account. Goodbye MoneyGram. Never again.

I have been using MoneyGram for a while now. Ever since the passing away of my dad, I took on the responsibility of looking after my mum in South Africa. That meant, making sure all bills etc getting paid. Therefore, if I didn't send money, my mum would end up homeless. Quite recently I tried to send money to her as usual using MoneyGram. I tried several times to log into my account and couldn't. However, this a message would pop up to call a number which I did. I waited for over 20 minutes before someone finally answered. I told the individual what had happened, he checked my details, then he said there is something else I just want to checked, I waited for about 5 minutes.

When he came back he tells me that I can no longer use MoneyGram online! I asked him why, he tells me the most stupid excuse I have ever heard... He says because he could not find my details. I said to him, "but I have an account and you had told me that everything was okay. What's going on?" He says I was not allowed to use their service online indefinitely! I was livid as you can imagine! They had closed my account without having the decency to tell me about. They had all my details. They could have phoned, or emailed me. They have the most pathetic customer care and I am glad I didn't send any money with that stupid company. As a matter of fact I am telling anyone I know, never to use MONEYGRAM. They should call themselves MONEYGRAB - Idiots!!!

My mother sent me money using MoneyGram as I'm traveling this weekend. We have been using this service for the past year, and it has been sufficient to our needs. This time, however, new regulations were put days ago for any transaction over 800 GBP whereas the receiver has to upload an ID copy online - but only after going to the MoneyGram agent, which is quite inconvenient but bearable. I thought to myself that it must be just an extra precaution that shouldn't hinder my business with them. I tried uploading a copy of my passport, and waited two days for confirmation but there was nothing. After another try, I was sent a text message saying that they needed additional information and that I should call them. I did, only to be told to retry the submission.

After a full 3 hour phone call with customer service yesterday, the only solution they came up with was to ask the sender to refund and resend the money to make sure the details were entered correctly. I went along with this, got the transaction refunded and resent as per their instructions. I go again this morning to receive the money, but lo and behold, same thing happened again.

I called customer service, explained the situation and what has been done to attempt to fix it, only to be put on hold for 40 minutes straight and be told that there was nothing more they could do. I respectfully laid out the problem and asked to be put through to a supervisor, when I was told that no supervisor will be put through, was 'thanked' for my call, and was told to "go use another service". As I was replying, I was hung up on very rudely. Needless to say, I will never be using this service again and I recommend that decision to everyone considering to use MoneyGram now or in the future.

I sent money (cash) from the US to Cameroon and the recipient was told at the receiving counter that the money was on hold and to have the sender verify the information. Once informed I called and after extensive wait times and all the information consistent they told me I has to go get a refund. I went and to get the money back was another hassle.

I went into the same store I wired from. I had to call and get transferred to some agents who barely could communicate well with lengthy wait times and then was issued a new tracking number pick up my money as refund. I was glad but the transaction could not be completed and had to re-verify. I got my money after a few hours and made the mistake to resend to another person, thinking the recipient was the issue. The new recipient told me the transaction is only good for a refund. I have to go now and deal will these people and hopefully get my money back. It's a very very bad service and complete waste of people's time.

My husband sent my money from Ivory Coast, and I was not able to get the money. All the location say the amount is too much. So we call MoneyGram trying to get a refund. They said we are going to lose the transaction fee because the delivery the money. But to who? Will never use MoneyGram again.

I have been using Moneygram online to wire money to my suppliers internationally. It's so annoying what you have to through to send your own money even to a past customer that you have sent money before. I have been so frustrated with the system. It just don't make sense. I am now using Western Union. HASSLES.

Had 2 sends with no issue then suddenly, like numerous others have reported, I received an email requesting additional verification to complete a small $50 transaction. Numerous calls and promises of callbacks later, I am still waiting with no idea what is going on. Is there no way to stop this? I've never had such an experience with people not knowing what they're doing or getting you information in my life.

Went to Walmart to pick up a money transfer which was from the US. They told me that the funds were on hold and they had to call MoneyGram. To make a long story short they said that they were uncomfortable give ME the funds. I asked why and they gave me some federal law nonsense but, they had no reason. The person that sent me the funds had a foreign name and probably had something to do with it. WesternUnion will have my business from now on.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

MoneyGram was established in 1988 and took its current form in 1998, but it has a history going back to 1940 with the Travelers Express Company. It became a publically-traded company in 2004 and is headquartered in Dallas. MoneyGram offers money transfers, bill pay services, money orders and other financial services.

• Reload mobile minutes: MoneyGram’s Mobile Top-Up service lets customers add minutes to pre-paid cell phones on over 350 carriers in more 100 countries. Minutes are added almost instantly.
  • Bill pay: Consumers can pay healthcare bills or make child support payments using MoneyGram. They can pay with cash, a bank account or a credit card. Interested customers can see the list of information they will need on the company’s website.
  • Gift cards: Consumers can use MoneyGram to reload prepaid gift cards even when they do not have the physical card. This feature can make it easy to give gifts to someone else, and funds are usually available instantly.
  • MoneyGram Plus: The MoneyGram Plus program gives members exclusive discounts. Members can also elect to receive messages as soon as the recipient has funds transferred to them.
  • App: The MoneyGram app allows customers to send money to other people and pay their bill directly from their mobile device. The app is available for both Apple and Android devices. Consumers must be a part of the MoneyGram Plus program to use the app.
  • Best for MoneyGram has services to meet most consumers’ needs, including individuals, business owners and travelers.

Compare Money Transfer and International Money Transfer