MoneyGram

Compare Money Transfer and International Money Transfer Services

My mother has been a customer for over 10 years. Expensive but no problem when it reaches her destination. We have issues because the mail was stolen with the MoneyGram inside. Don't know how the stealer was able to cash it but he/she did even with a non-common name written on it. Tried to get information from MoneyGram was a runaround. Between my sibling and I, we logged over 5 hours trying to get information from them. Walmart was helpful in getting information to my mother, but in the end it was MoneyGram issue. Trying to get refund from remaining MoneyGram, went through hurdles. Paid $18 and rushed fee according to MoneyGram. They told to call back 3-5 days. Ditto.

Customer service says they don't have any information but to have my mother call them for information. How is this different than me calling? I asked for customer rep supervisor, (Diego?) he got angry and says to call the same number back. I asked for a more direct line that my mother can call and she doesn't speak English, response is they will have translator. I asked how can they even verify that it's my mother standing next to me versus me calling in her behalf as I am supposed to be the receiver. Same response, call same number, they will get translator. If I can't even information on status only and your system doesn't showed anything, how will adding another hour of energy on this and having my mother calling make a difference? DO NOT SUPPORT MoneyGram by buying from them. This is a ripoff and runaround service. I'm willing to pay if I get any service out of it.

I purchased a money order from Walmart on 05/13/2017. The money somehow never made it to the merchant lost in the mail. Contacted MoneyGram several time filled out a claim card and sent it certified so that I would know that is been received and MoneyGram is still refusing to refund me my money. I called out an over sea representative on 10 different occasions and requested to speak to a supervisor and was told I could not speak to a supervisor. This is adversely affecting my credit. I do not have 450.00 dollars to just throw away. I am on a tight budget. I have tried several time to contact MoneyGram. I know the claim card was received because someone at MoneyGram signed for it.

I registered with MoneyGram to transfer money from to a hotel in another country for a deposit. I was told all was completed and given a number for the other party to pick up the money at the international location. The other party went to get the money and was told the transaction was cancelled. I have no idea why this happened and was not notified of any cancellation by Moneygram. The transaction was of course charged to my credit card.

When I called I was put on hold for a long time and even disconnected. I called back and demanded to talk to a supervisor who was very rude and would not tell me why my transaction was cancelled. Now I would like to delete my account on moneygram and was told I "breached" some rules while setting up my account and would not be allowed into my account. This is certainly NOT a legitimate business and I would not recommend it to ANYONE. I did get my refund on my credit card but from reading others reviews I consider myself very lucky.

I lost about 4000 Euro. MoneyGram giving away my money. I was still in UK and after a week I went to Germany and I try to take the money but the money was gone already. I contact the MoneyGram and then they saying we going to do investigation. After investigation finished they decided to return to me €1000 because We give it away without our ID and €3000 we have the proof of ID. The MoneyGram saying how come you saying to me which I already. I was in the UK That time when the money both transaction was given away from the MoneyGram. How MoneyGram good for €3000 my ID and for €1000. They don't have my ID and now I decided to go to court soon as possible because the playing with my money.

MoneyGram company has a website: "www.moneygram.com." Do not set up online account with MoneyGram. They collect your personal information. When you try to send your payment the transaction will be declined! Next step identification of your personal information. I repeat do not provide anything because the website: "www.moneygram.com" is not working and will always tell you declined, declined, declined!!! I called the agent and they said, "We are sorry you did not pass your security questions." The only way to send your payment at the local location MoneyGram store!

Guess what I ask my friend to create an account and transfer money for me!! I knew same BS was to his account said: "Declined." So if you don't believe me waste your time and reveal your information and don't get surprised later on about your information being sold to other companies. MoneyGram site collects users' private information including emails and passwords so please think twice before making a mistake! Thank you for your time and attention.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MoneyGram?

I've been a customer of MoneyGram for years with no problem, until today. Here's my story... I have been using MoneyGram to send money to a relative in the United States quite frequently. Never had an issue or problem. Then all of a sudden, I send a MoneyGram for $40 and no go. Was told the transaction was canceled and where issuing a refund. So I thought, maybe it was the card that I was using, since it was a new card. So I go to a MoneyGram location at a CVS. I figured, ok I'll just use cash to send.

So I picked up the little red phone and called it in. Had to go through and extensive verification process and proceed to counter. Gave the clerk my information I received on the phone. Paid the clerk and walked out of the location. I sent a text to the receiver, letting her know it was on the way. 10 minutes. I didn't even make it out of the parking lot when I got a call and was told that it wasn't ready. Waited a few minutes and tried again. Nothing. Called them up again, only to find out that they canceled that transaction. So now I'm pissed. When I asked the reason why. I was given a lame excuse about the transaction was reviewed and determined that they were not going to process it, nor did they give a legitimate reason as to why. I will never, ever use that damn service again and I will let my contacts on LinkedIn and Twitter to not use them EVER!!!

I bought money order from Walmart. Told salesperson that I am sending this to UK. I sent the money order to my dad. My dad tried several places including bank, post office to cash the check. But none of them knows or could cash it. Then my dad called MoneyGram and they told that UK doesn't cash money order, they only accept money transfer. I talk with the Walmart manager. She said that the MoneyGram website showing that they have service in UK. She said that it's MoneyGram problem.

Well I am the customer. Walmart and MoneyGram are traders. What on earth I would know either Walmart or MoneyGram are responsible of not letting the customer know their limits!! I called MoneyGram. After talking to several customer service agent what they asked me?? Pay nonrefundable $18, fill up the claim card and asks for refund!! Looks like this is MoneyGram's tricks to get $18 by not letting the customer know actual information. They knowingly did the mistake and asking to pay nonrefundable money to get the refund. When I was asking all these, the customer service says, "Oh we only take few cents for money order". I said, "So, few cents means free??"

Trying for two days to get money transferred online with no success. Keeps popping up, "Please call this phone number". We get someone in Central America who can barely speak English. Then just to be told we have to go into the store. Been using the service for years. Never had a problem until last month. Now we can never get anything done! I'm so over them!

I have been a customer of Moneygram for about 12 months now and regularly send money using their service. I am a retired Financial Director and I have a rented apartment in Dominican Republic which I use for at least 6 months of the year as my vacation home. For the running costs of the apartment, I use Moneygram services both online and via an agent (normally via online services but at times should I be in the city and need to send money, I use a Moneygram agent).

As I have no family or relatives alive, I made a decision to support young Students with their university fees and needs and so do my effort to educate and uplift less fortunate people to give them a fair start to their lives. So I support 3 students in the Dominican Republic, and 2 in Colombia (I travel a lot and next to the Dominican Republic which is my favorite country, Colombia is my second choice). As a result, I regularly send small amounts of money monthly to these students to pay their university/college fees and other items they may need.

At the Beginning of May 2017, I had to send money to cover costs for my holiday apartment and a birthday gift for a very good friend in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic on the same day. I used the Moneygram online services and received the Moneygram reference numbers which I forwarded to my recipients. They proceeded to the Moneygram paying agent and were informed that the reference numbers were "incomplete and not all the information had been received to make a payout".

I immediately contacted Moneygram online and lodged a fraud complaint thinking that the transactions had been hacked and misappropriated. I received a complaint reference number and after 3 days I received an email stating that the transactions had been cancelled and the money would be returned to me. The immediate question which came to my mind was "why - they received the funds so what the hell is going on" This email came from the Moneygram Service Center in Poland.

I called Moneygram in Europe and spoke to one of their service center clerks, who was very apologetic and told me to hold while she checked what had happened. After about 5 minutes she returned and sheepishly told me that Moneygram is a financial institution which must abide by financial and AML rules (Anti-Money Laundering) set for money transfers and that the company (Moneygram) did not want to do business with me. Well, I was shocked and replied "are you suggesting that I am a criminal or Money Launderer?" To which she replied "you are not the type of customer we want so you can never use our online service or our agents again. Goodbye."

After the call, I was basically frozen and sat in silence for 10 minutes. Not for one minute in my financial career (45 years) was my integrity ever questioned nor my correctness for abiding by the laws and rules ever doubted yet now some little employee of the Moneygram Security Audit Department (Resolutions Assurance Department as MG calls them) in Poland had within 5 minutes evaluated my integrity and law abidance qualities and decided that I was a Money Launderer/criminal and not the type of customer that Moneygram wants.

I WAS GUILTY and not given any chance of proving my innocence. One must ask oneself what happened to the legal principal that YOU ARE INNOCENT until proven guilty! Or is this the new norm that these Money Transfers companies are now establishing in the legal and business world. God help us if this norm is accepted in the criminal law faculty! Due to unforeseen costs the previous month April had more transfers than usual, but the amounts transferred were not Money Laundering amounts. In fact my average monthly amount transferred over the 12 months could never in 100 years suggest that I was "Money Laundering" but to the Resolution Assurance Delegate/Specialist, I was doing exactly this and therefore a criminal.

I must ask myself that if they were of this opinion and concerned about the increase in my April transfers would it not have been correct business procedure to send me an email asking for more information and reasons for this increase in my transfers. I would have willingly given them answer and reasons because I have nothing to hide and the transfers are made to the students I support, my friends who I know personally (birthday gifts etc.) and to the friend who oversees the expenses such as electricity, cable/internet and other maintenance costs associated with my rental apartment.

What I fear is that these delegates of these Resolution Assurance Departments are now assuming that they are bigger and stronger than the CIA/FBI agents and behaving as such, blindly applying the rules as set out in the Moneygram Latin America and Caribbean ANTI-MONEY LAUNDERING COMPLIANCE GUIDELINES without investigating sufficiently and coming to a reasonable conclusion as to "GUILTY OR NOT GUILTY". At least with the CIA/FBI you are informed of your rights, why you are being arrested and given the opportunity to provide answers to the accusations. With Moneygram, you have zero chance of defending yourself against the unsupported suspicions of a Resolution Assurance Delegate.

Well, all I can add is "Thank you Moneygram Resolution Assurance Delegate " you have effectively ended the careers and future lives of 5 young University students in countries where life is not as easy and protected as your lives in Poland. So much for Moneygram's contribution to the globalization policy of uplifting and assisting less fortunate people in poorer countries. It is really time for these arrogant companies to be boycotted and made to answer for their stupid, insensitive decisions and disgusting customer service instead of hiding behind their AML rules and regulations.

I usually send money via Western Union but I wanted to save on the fees this time so after doing my due diligence, I began. Entering the info wasn't that big a deal until I came to the security questions where they wanted me to verify an old address. When I went to answer, not sure if it was correct as I have lived here for over 20 yrs, the entire thing disappeared! OMG. I decided to call them instead, just get it done that way. Ha! Not only did I get caught up in endless voice jail, but I got hung up on 4 times. No one helped me. This company needs to learn what customer service is. They need to have the people that answer the phone speak English clearly enough that they can be understood. Not everyone that transfers money is Hispanic for crying out loud. They are just another large impersonal company that takes your money and doesn't even pretend to give a care about you. Trust me, they don't. At all.

MoneyGram only takes seconds to withdraw the money from my bank account but when a transaction was canceled because of a misspelled name the refund to my account was after 13 days. Nowhere to be seen, I'm afraid that this money I just lost to MoneyGram! They are making millions of money out of people like me who needs to send money to help relatives in need. Don't get fooled by them! It is a horrible thing that they do! What else can I do? This is not right.

Since February I been contacting MoneyGram for copies of where were my MoneyGram cashed. I have a fraudulent case where I need to find a way to get copies so I can report that person took me as a fool and basically took my money. I had sold a ring online and this person who bought it from me send me a fraudulent check. By the time I found out the MoneyGram was received and cashed before I can put a stop to this money being cashed by the person who was picking up the ring I thought I sold. So I reported this to MoneyGram and they advise me to send a claims form. I have send 3x this form with all the information I was asked to submit. The third time I paid them two checks of $18 to obtain copies of the money orders. Now am on May and still haven't received anything not my copies.

I called them today and am being told I need to once again send their claims form with copies of all of my papers I've send and cashed checked by them. I need these to dispute a case to the bank or place this fake person cashed them. MoneyGram has the worst policy and doesn't help people like us who need to take a stand for fraud.

I sent some money to Ghana via Moneygram. Their Ghana agent refused to pay out so I have asked for my money back. I asked Moneygram to refund my money. They replied with a standard letter which said either go to the agent who used my debit card to take the money. Or I should phone a number. Their agent who took my money said they could not deal with it and I must contact Moneygram direct. So I emailed Moneygram and told them this and I also said, "I am very deaf and cannot hear people on the phone so please email any questions to me." Moneygram then replied to me sending exactly the same standard letter as before. Two days ago I wrote again and said, "Please please read my letter. Don't just send me standard robot messages." Their office for this is in Warsaw. Has anyone else had problems to recover their money from Moneygram?

Updated on 05/30/2017: This is part 2 of trying to get a large sum of money back from MoneyGram. Their complaints office is in Warsaw, Poland. A waste of time sending an email as you get a robot produced reply. They use several different names but I think they are fictitious. A friend of mine went to this building which houses many companies but the security would not them into the building without a pass. So customers of MoneyGram cannot personally visit the customer service department of MoneyGram. What a deceitful company. My next step will be to go to the Financial Ombudsman in London, UK. MoneyGram is regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in London. PS. I can recommend using Small World Money transfer service. There if anything goes wrong you quickly speak, or have live chat with real people!!

My sister sent money to Panama 2 weeks ago, and every time when the receiver go to pick the money up, they come with the excuse that they are out of money. I think this is ridicule. That money should be available right away.

I recently conducted a money transfer through MoneyGram service in which my experience was horrible. After completing my transaction the funds were not available for release to the receiver. I contacted 1-800-926 9400 for customer service, in which I identified myself. The receiver was at a MoneyGram pick-up location to receive the funds with proper identification, the reference number, my information as the sender, the amount expected to be received, and the confirmation. The customer service rep behind the counter stated the funds weren't available for release, despite the receiver having all the required information they needed.

I immediately contacted customer service to see what the problem was. They stated the receiver would need to contact them for verification purposes in order to release the funds. I had to called MoneyGram several times because they provide me with two wrong phone numbers for the receiver to call. When contacted MoneyGram I was transfer to another service department, I told him I would like to cancel my transaction due to the hardship upon the receiver attempting to receive the funds. He stated I (the sender) could NOT cancel the transaction until the receiver answer some questions. I asked to speak with the supervisor and he replied he was him. So, I could not cancel a transaction I initiated.

From this point on, the receiver called 1-800-269 4556 and spoke with another person at MoneyGram who again, questioned him on his identification and then stated the funds are now available for release and pick-up. The receiver was at home when he contacted them, so how could they have truly identified him before releasing the funds, if that was the case they could have released the funds when he was at the store location and presented his ID to the cashier. The experience was horrible and I will never use this company again, their customer service is terrible.

Trying to send money online. Received email to call MoneyGram. Spokesperson started asking way too many personal question: birthdays of my whole family, why I am sending money, do I know the person to whom I am sending money, how did I meet them, what are they going to use the money for, what state did I get my SS. Finally hung up and called again. This time he started asking last 4 digits of SS and other questions. Put me on hold and never came back. Online transfer was declined. Went to Walmart, no personal questions and money sent (cheaper than online). Question if MoneyGram is doing this inquisition on purpose.

I sent money a couple times with no issue. Then I sent when my college attending son tried to get it they wouldn't. Even though I had reference number. It took me half hour and finally they released it. Tried again few days later. Wouldn't send and when I called they can't tell me why. Tried again couple days later. Got ref number, and again they wouldn't release it. I called. They asked me questions you'd think I was being interrogated BR, the CIA, like, "Where is money from?"

They cancelled transaction. Told me they'd refund. Of course 3 days later no refund. I call. I was transferred 6 TIMES. EACH TIME I had to start completely over. 3 hrs it took and finally told I could get it but had to go in person. Not to ask for refund bet to say I was a receiver. I don't mind the international call center but if you have one please understand what I'm saying so I don't have to spell every word. Never ever ever again. It is just too frustrating a company to attempt to talk to.

Last Saturday, I sent $2,000 to a friend. Actually, wanted to send more but maximum at MoneyGram is $2.000. It is $7.000 at Western Union. Wish I had known. When my friend went to pick it up he was told he could not have it. This is after he had numerous frustrating calls and long waits with MoneyGram. They said I should call to confirm the transaction is not fraudulent. My turn for long waits, disconnected three times and finally being told he can't have the money because there is too much fraud in that location.

I was transferred, after demanding it, to another department where I thought for a fleeting moment there was hope. I answered all the security questions correctly and then was told "too much fraud in that location" he can't have the money. It has been hours and he is still waiting there. Their ENTIRE SYSTEM WAS DOWN FOR HOURS. Customer service rep said come back in an hour, and then come back in an hour again. The CSRs speak very quickly and their English is hardly understandable. India, perhaps.

It is now Sunday - Now for the refund... MoneyGram assured me I could get my cash back plus the $40 fee and I decided to use Western Union (MUCH better company). I had to get cash because banks were closed on Sunday and I could not take out $2,000 from ATM. I went to the MoneyGram machine for the refund and got error messages. Again long waits of 7-10 min. on the phone. They would not do the refund because it was over $2000 because THEIR FEE put the total at $2,040.

I was about to give up on the fee because there was NO FLEXIBILITY by MoneyGram to process this transaction. I then found out that I could not get cash back and that eliminated the possibility of using Western Union that day. I would have gotten $500 cash, and $1500 money order and NO REFUND of fees. One rep suggested I go to 4 locations and get $500 from each. My friend was still waiting for the money in San Diego while I was in No CA. The weekend was wasted. NOTHING was accomplished.

I gave up and began the process on Monday - a wonderful store manager at CVS spent over an hour on the phone with MoneyGram only to be told come back tomorrow. I even said keep the $40 if that puts it over the limit. No doubt, tomorrow will produce the same frustrating result the last three days did. I feel sorry for the millions of people who have had to deal with MoneyGram. They still have my $2,040. LOTS OF FRUSTRATION, LOTS OF TIME LOST, LOTS OF INCONVENIENCE AND THE RESULT IS MONEYGRAM, STOLE $2,040 FROM ME.

The most pathetic service one could provide. I have sent on Jan 2017 as a guest to try. I had to use this service again so I signed up and made a transaction. I got an email to call to a number for additional information. I called it was 69 minutes hold. The agent says it cant be processed and canceled the transaction without providing the reason of cancellation. This is just waste of people time.

It's been from 03/2017 got Money Order from MoneyGram in San Antonio Tx. Check status. Money order clear out on 03/29/17 but did not get post to the bank, have been calling MoneyGram customer service without any success in the help. Have gone to #03 place to get assistance but they're just not knowledgeable in the matter. Expediting a fax copy of transaction of money order to get credit on account. Try all customer shortcut & tips that will solve your issue. It's "B/S".

I created a MoneyGram account 4-29-2017 after I completed what needed to be done. I couldn't wire any money it would not go through, so I contacted customer services all I'm back forth to the point of having a major headache. Finally I was informed my transaction was canceled due to security wasn't comfortable with it, I never knew a $300.00 transaction in America would cause such problems, then they had the nerve to request that I use another card, or go to one of their locations. The point of using online transfer is that you don't have to leave, and they hit me with the terrorist thing, really $300.00 is too much money to wire in America.

I would never use this company ever. I normally use Western Union all the time and this time I made a mistake by purchasing a money order from MoneyGram. I misplaced my money order and I haven't been able to find unfortunately it. Today I decided to call MoneyGram a ask for a refund. I do not understand how MoneyGram will charge you 18.00 for a refund when I paid a dollar for the money order. What makes it even better, I was told I had to wait 20 days for me to receive my money back. DOES NOT MAKE SENSE.

My son send money Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart. They find his number on his receipt where he send money. Now they closed. Tell tomorrow. I'm have to sleep in my where ever I can find to park till then. It's cold. I'm old and don't know where to go to be safe.

I recently conducted an online money transfer through MoneyGram service in which the experience was deplorable to say the least. After completing my online transaction followed by multiple emails received from MoneyGram stating the funds were available for release to the receiver, the funds were not available for the receiver. I contacted 1-800-922-7146 for customer service, in which I identified myself after several questions asked. The receiver was at a MoneyGram pick-up location to receive the funds with proper identification, the reference number, my information as the sender, the amount expected to be received, and the email confirmation which clearly stated the funds were available for pick-up.The customer service rep behind the counter stated the funds weren't available for release, despite the receiver having all the required information they needed including the email confirmation & reference number.

I immediately contacted 1-800-922-7146 (MoneyGram) to see what the problem was. They stated the customer rep at the store pick-up location would need to contact their "designated phone line" for verification purposes. The customer rep at the store told the receiver they would need to contact MoneyGram in order to release the funds, so the receiver did that and they interrogated him and even asked for his social security number and his father's name. Mind you, this has nothing to do with verifying who the receiver was because the customer rep at the pick-up location would still need to identify who the receiver is in order to release the funds. So the receiver calling MoneyGram and getting interrogated was quite useless for identification purposes.

I then contacted 1-800-922-7146 (MoneyGram) and asked to speak with a supervisor because everyone else seemed incompetent in providing the necessary service and answers to their customer's concerns. The supervisor did not want to give me his first & last name but eventually gave me his first name and ID number. I told him I would like to cancel my transaction due to the hardship upon the receiver attempting to receive the funds which were available for release according to their emails and website confirmation. The supervisor stated I (the sender) could NOT cancel the transaction until the receiver answer some questions. "So let me get this straight, I (the sender) can not cancel a transaction I initiated?" The supervisor replied, "Yes that is correct."

So I replied, "What if the receiver was in a car accident or doesn't need the funds anymore, or that individual passed away and can no longer be available to conduct a pick-up of the funds?" The supervisor remained silent so his brain could perhaps process the questions I presented to him. The supervisor still stated the receiver would have to be present and the customer rep at the pick-up location would need to call their "designated line". So, as you can see he was also incompetent as well as the people who he may have trained. The level of customer service to the general public is at an all time low and people aren't taking their employment in these positions serious.

From this point on, the receiver called 1-800-922-7146 and spoke with another person at MoneyGram who again, questioned him on his identification and then stated the funds are now available for release and pick-up. The receiver was at home when he contacted them, meaning they wouldn't have known him from a person who may have stolen his identification, he was not at the store or in front of a customer rep at the pick-up location. So how could they have truly identified him before releasing the funds, if that was the case they could have released the funds when he was at the store location and presented his ID to the cashier. People, as you can see they don't even follow their own policy, nor have trained customer service employees with proper supervision.

I refuse to deal with MoneyGram services from this point on. A customer should not have to go through so many circles in order to conduct a transaction for "security" purposes. According to their policy all the receiver needs is proper ID, reference number, funds amount, and the sender's name. Another thing I noticed is that every time I called MoneyGram I spoke to numerous people of Middle Eastern decent based upon their voice. I'm not attempting to discriminate against them but this concerns me because it appears as if you are speaking with someone overseas who can't interpret what the hell you are saying to them.

Regardless, MoneyGram need to ensure their employees are receiving proper training and provide better service. What really bothered me the most is that a Sender could not have his/her transaction canceled upon their request. That's a form of deceit in itself that this company should address or at least make it clear on their website before people proceed in conducting any transactions. I intend to cancel my account with MoneyGram and I'm sure others will as well after reading multiple complaints about their services.

Tried to send money to a few of my friends and family but I couldn't. I was spending a lot of time helping my dad with medical issues and my own issues as well. They would not allow me to use their services without actually going into an actual store to send the money when it was much more convenient and efficient by using the online services. I called the customer service to see what I could do to fix whatever issue there was but none of the customer service agents could tell me why I couldn't use the service. My hopes are that all these reviews spread and this agency goes out of business since they aren't trying to support those who have been loyal customers.

I tried to online transfer a lousy $10.00 to an out of state friend for her granddaughter's funeral. What a nightmare! They called me asking all kinds of personal questions like what is the money for, etc. I became angry as it was like I was trying to get CIA clearance! They then told me they cancelled "my account" because my profile didn't clear security! What the heck! I was born in the same state I live in and I bought my most recent home in 2005! All this for TEN DOLLARS. I ended up using Western Union. It was cheap, faster and they didn't call me and ask all kinds of personal questions. DON'T USE MONEYGRAM unless you want to be interrogated! They made me feel like a criminal. It was really creepy!!

I sent MoneyGram a refund application for a $120.00 money order. While I was getting the application ready to mail, I was making copies of everything including a personal check for $18.00 which will cover the processing fee. I put it all in an envelope and went to the post office to mail it. When I came back home I noticed I left that $18.00 check on the copier and ran back to the post office to mail it to them in a separate envelope with all the information on it. I said: "I forgot this check on the copier. This is the payment for processing fee for my money order number **. Please send me a complete refund of my $120.00 and use this check for processing." When I got my refund, I got a check for $102.00 instead of $120.00 which meant they took the $18.00 from the total of my refund. Then I checked on my bank account and they also cashed my $18.00 check.

When I called them, they hanged up on me when I requested a supervisor. Then I called again, and it was the same agent but she acted as if she was somebody new on the phone. She did not want to get me a supervisor, and she said that they cashed my personal check of $18.00 because they decided to send me a copy of the refunded check and that cost $18.00. I told her I did not request a copy and that they should have just returned my personal check knowing that they already charged me. She said that was my fault for sending that payment and that after I cashed my refunded check, I cannot fight this. By the time they got my personal check, they have not even issued a refund, so the least they could have done was to return my personal check and not charge me twice the $18.00 processing fee.

I know we are not talking about millions here, but even if they took $1.00 or $1,000.00 the fact is that they are stealing our money. That is not right! MoneyGram, you are committing fraud by doing this to your customers, and even though I don't have the money to take you to court, someone else with the money and the time will. You can count on that! What goes around, comes back around.

I learned about MoneyGram through my father, who used to send us money through it. I am very saddened by how ridiculous their money transfer process has become. I have been trying to send my mom money to take care of her health but without any success. I had to go through a third-party company (Telecheck) which asked me to wait seven days to send the money and that even if I did chances are, it still may not go through. This is the worst experience ever so I am looking for other money transfer companies to assist me. MoneyGram will possibly not get my business again.

I wanted to wire $20 online to a relative and was told that due to the recent terrorists attacks my online account was frozen. I don't support terrorists or terrorism. I am a patriot and a citizen of the United States of America. I was able to send it online through Western Union which was actually cheaper.

I have been sending money grams for about six years now. Recently I was trying to send another when I could not get into my account. I tried and tried and then called MoneyGram to see why. The man who I spoke with said that my account has been canceled. I asked why and he did not know. I said that is unacceptable. They can't just cancel my account without an explanation. He said he did not have an explanation and I asked to speak to his supervisor. He said there was no one else to speak to. How can that be? How can a company just cancel your account and you have no recourse? I still don't know if The MoneyGram I sent a while back and canceled had ever been refunded. There's no way for me to go in and see now! WHAT IN THE WORLD??? I'm DONE with this underhanded, I'll run piece of junk company. How can they still be in business when they handle people's money???

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

MoneyGram was established in 1988 and took its current form in 1998, but it has a history going back to 1940 with the Travelers Express Company. It became a publically-traded company in 2004 and is headquartered in Dallas. MoneyGram offers money transfers, bill pay services, money orders and other financial services.

• Reload mobile minutes: MoneyGram’s Mobile Top-Up service lets customers add minutes to pre-paid cell phones on over 350 carriers in more 100 countries. Minutes are added almost instantly.
  • Bill pay: Consumers can pay healthcare bills or make child support payments using MoneyGram. They can pay with cash, a bank account or a credit card. Interested customers can see the list of information they will need on the company’s website.
  • Gift cards: Consumers can use MoneyGram to reload prepaid gift cards even when they do not have the physical card. This feature can make it easy to give gifts to someone else, and funds are usually available instantly.
  • MoneyGram Plus: The MoneyGram Plus program gives members exclusive discounts. Members can also elect to receive messages as soon as the recipient has funds transferred to them.
  • App: The MoneyGram app allows customers to send money to other people and pay their bill directly from their mobile device. The app is available for both Apple and Android devices. Consumers must be a part of the MoneyGram Plus program to use the app.
  • Best for MoneyGram has services to meet most consumers’ needs, including individuals, business owners and travelers.

Compare Money Transfer and International Money Transfer