MoneyGram

MoneyGram Reviews

Overall Rating1.7 out of 5

About MoneyGram

MoneyGram provides online and in-person money transfers, money orders and bill payments. Customers can send money domestically or internationally and choose from nearly 50 different currencies.

Pros & Cons

Pros

• Large global availability
  • Flexible payout options
  • Fraud education resources

Cons

• Exchange rates can be poor
  • Fees can vary

Bottom Line

MoneyGram is one of the largest wire transfer services in the world. It lets you send and receive money, pay bills and more. The company does its best to make sure transfers are convenient, easy and safe.

Featured Reviews

Verified
Springfield, OR

I changed to MoneyGram and never had any of the issues or problems that I experienced with Western Union. MoneyGram is very quick, efficient, professional and polite...I have neve...

Verified
Chula Vista, CA

The App is easy to use, the fees are clearly indicated based on the amount you wish to send and one gives the option to send money using your bank account or debit/credit card… I...

What is MoneyGram?

MoneyGram is one of the world’s largest money transfer providers. The company has decades of experience and a trustworthy reputation. MoneyGram has made it a goal to educate its customers on fraud and take whatever precautions it can to avoid having customers transfer money to scammers.

How does MoneyGram work?

MoneyGram lets customers send money either online or in-person. To send money online, you must first create an account. From there, select either a bank or MoneyGram agent location and choose how you want to pay.

It's also possible to set up an online transfer and later pay in-store with cash by showing a government identification. For in-person service, you can go to your closest agent location with a government ID, the receiver’s information and the money you’re sending.

If you're receiving money, the sender can transfer it to a bank account, a mobile wallet or an agent location for pickup. If the money is going to a bank account or mobile wallet, there's nothing you have to do — the funds arrive in your account once the transfer is processed.

For an in-person pickup, you need the transfer reference number and a valid government ID. You may need to fill out a receive form, but it's not always required. Money sent to a MoneyGram location will be ready in minutes, but bank account transfers take longer.

MoneyGram fees

MoneyGram aims to match its competitors' rates as closely as possible. Fees vary based on several factors, including the money's destination and the type of transfer you choose. The website offers a fee estimator for a more precise idea of the costs. Exchange rates are updated in real time, but customers have noted in reviews that these rates aren’t always as good as what some competitors offer.

MoneyGram FAQ

Where can I cash a MoneyGram money order?

There are a couple of ways to handle a money order from MoneyGram. It can be deposited into your bank account or cashed at many check-cashing businesses.

Can you receive MoneyGram online?

You can receive MoneyGram online if it's sent directly to a bank account or a mobile wallet. If this is the case, the money should be available online without you having to do anything.

Why does MoneyGram hold money?

MoneyGram doesn’t specify much when it comes to its policies on holding money. With most money transfer companies, holds depend on authorization, the amount sent, the destination and identification requirements.

How do I open a MoneyGram account?

Opening a MoneyGram account is a simple process. Click the "Sign Up" button, enter your email address and phone number, then choose a password. You'll then have to enter your legal name, your birth date and address. Finally, click the "Create Profile" button.

How do I get a refund from MoneyGram?

If you cancel your money order within 30 minutes of sending it, MoneyGram refunds the full amount. After that, you can still get a partial refund for up to 180 days, excluding fees.

Is MoneyGram better than Western Union?

Western Union has more locations than MoneyGram and is sometimes more competitively priced. The best thing to do is to compare rates to find which service offers a better value.

Is MoneyGram safe?

You should always treat money requests from unknown parties with extreme caution and never wire money to someone you don’t know. If you’re sending money to a friend or family member, however, MoneyGram is a safe option. As one of the world’s largest wire transfer sites, MoneyGram has plenty of experience and is a viable option for consumers who want to transfer funds.

MoneyGram Reviews

ConsumerAffairs has collected 1,268 reviews and 1,395 ratings.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MoneyGram?
Customer ServicePriceStaff

Reviewed Nov. 16, 2023

This is the worst customer service that I ever had in my life, this company should be banned! I sent money to my parents in another country, my mom went to pick it up. Even with her right ID, they told her she can’t get the money, I had to call MoneyGram for further explanation, they told me that I need to stop sending money to that person, knowing that she's my mom! After I asked them 10 times what's the reason my mom can’t get the money they quote "We don’t know", how come come you don’t know if you are the one that cancelled the money transfer, I asked to speak with a supervisor. They refused to point a supervisor for me! I asked for a complaint form. They refused too!

Now I can’t get my $200 dollars back and can’t get explanation about why my mom can’t get the money if the money has been already taken from my bank account. This is by far the worst experience ever, and I will be sending this case to General Attorney Office for Consumer Abuse! Stay away from MoneyGram, it not worth your time and your money!

Customer Service

Reviewed Nov. 13, 2023

Today in CANADA Post I tried to cash out my money process to go to my signature and before adding my email computer froze. After restarting the computer shows my money collected. MoneyGram gave me the case number and said I should wait for 2 to 3-week processes, please don’t use the MoneyGram at all.

Thanks for your vote! Report

Get buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed Oct. 14, 2023

Agent did not provide receipt, refused to give me cash, insisted on etransfer then did not provide a new reference number to accept the e-transfer so the e-transfer cancelled. I called MoneyGram immediately and now they say I have to wait ten business days before I can receive my money via another etransfer. Wtf. Really?

Reviewed Oct. 12, 2023

When everything goes well it's fine but god help you if you encounter a problem with a transfer then you will encounter just how cut-rate and incompetent this company is. Trust me "customer service" does not exist with this company. Just be prepared to say goodbye to your money with this fly-by-night outfit if there is any issue. They will not even attempt to correct the issue.

Verified purchase
    Customer ServiceOnline & App

Reviewed Sept. 30, 2023

If you want to send money without stressing, this is not the right app, if you send money with them be prepared for long calls where they will tell you that they solved the problem and it is not true. Whether through the app's chat or by call, they are unable to resolve the problem. The worst thing is that they tell you that it has been resolved and when the recipient goes to collect it they tell him that it is not available. I'm not talking about a single occasion, this happened to me countless times. It is the worst experience I have had in terms of customer service.

Customer Service

Reviewed Sept. 28, 2023

Updated on 10/04/2023: On 9/25/23 I canceled a transaction $100.00. Then on 928/23 at 1:12 am MoneyGram took $100.00 from my account. Then at 1:17 am 9/28/23 MoneyGram took $102.99 from my account. I have not been able to get a answer to why this happened. I have not received any of my money back. I have called every day to get help to get my money back. I will not use them again ever.

Original Review: My transaction was canceled on 25th. I was told it would be refunded within 10 days. The money was taken out of my account today. That is stealing. Why did the money get taken out today. I don't understand.

Customer ServicePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Sept. 26, 2023

I do not send money often but every now and then I do. I set up an online account with MoneyGram to send funds. The transaction was declined and moneygram stated my account was under review and would not be available for a week. I can not send online, the phone, or in-store. Not sure how others work in this arena but 99% of the time when people are sending money via this type of service the receiver needs the funds immediately not a week later. I do not understand stupidity, but I know I will never attempt to utilize moneygram again in life.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed Sept. 15, 2023

Would be no stars but have to give stars :( I was paying a utility bill through them today(09/14/2023). The payment was sent however MoneyGram "cancelled" the transactions. I went back to where I got the money gram from and after I spoke with the rep that processed the MoneyGram, they provided me with the phone # to contact MoneyGram. I called them and they provided me with a ref# for the credit on a payment that messed up/cancelled on. When back to the location that I got the originally MoneyGram from and then was informed they could not issue me the credit with out photo ID (this all occurred within like 45 mins). The rep advised me that Moneygram should be able to transfer the credit to someone in my home that has photo ID.

I then called MoneyGram for a 2nd time and spoke to another rep, after I explained to the rep that I could not afford to get photo ID (family of with 1 income, monthly bills between $3,000-$4,000 a month and I only make $2,800 a month) that I have 90 days to get my photo id otherwise the refund will be cancelled and i would lose my money. I went back into where I got the original Moneygram. The MoneyGram rep was very disrespectful and did not answer my question at all about transferring the refund to someone else so I can get my money back. (My son was with me basically the full time and is over 18 and drives so has the photo id needed)

I had to paid my utility bill for 2nd time (NOTE basically the last bit of money I had that I was to use for other things like food for my family) Which the utility company got the money this time. Called MoneyGram for a 3rd time because I wanted my money back NOW due to an error that Moneygram made cancelling the payment, I explained the situation again and that I could not afford any extra money to get photo ID and the rep came back saying yes we could transfer the MoneyGram credit( for an error they made) to him however I needed to have him send an email with his photo id and a notarized executor letter to transfer the funds into his name and I may get it in 15 business days.

So not only are they holding my money hostage but they expect me to go to a Lawyer and spend hundreds maybe thousands of dollars to get my money back. They suggest that fully knowing that I can not afford to spend money to get my photo ID in the first place. I WANT MY MONEY BACK THAT YOU MESSED UP ON SENDING IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Customer ServiceOnline & AppStaffReliabilityEase of Use

Reviewed Aug. 19, 2023

I thought I would save time using their online experience. What a joke. Appears their security or poor programing on, Edge, Chrome or Firefox all stall or won't let you log in after you get your account. It just freezes and the wheel spins. Worse tech support via the App, will log you out while you are chatting causing you to re log in and wait, filling out forms and answering questions multiple times to get to a live person. Then the live person will blame everything on you, i.e. try other phones, computers browsers but all have the same problem which points to Money Gram.

After HOURS, H O U R S, I got to a person via phone who asked for all my private data then their response was "Here is an email address for tech support. Send them screenshots." WHAT THE HELL, I waited for hours to talk to someone and they give me an email "WAIT ONCE MORE". The app pages are the worst, nothing is intuitive, you are sent to screens that make no sense, there are no clear options. You are better off using another company.

Reviewed Aug. 10, 2023

To those who will read this review: IF I COULD GIVE 0 STARS I WOULD! I bought a money order on 7/14/23 and mailed it out to Progressive in Carol Stream IL that same day (mind you I reside in Kenosha WI). After 2 weeks of my money order remaining uncashed and reaching out to representatives, they were not able to track the money order and it was still not received. Even progressive had not seen nor processed the money order and had no way to track it. The money order was for $119.00. I requested a replacement 7/29 and they submitted and approved the request 7/31. I was told a replacement would be sent within 2 business days "provided my money order remained uncashed" It was cashed by progressive and applied to my account.

Now today 8/10 I received a notification from progressive stating there was a "problem with my account" and they could not apply the funds and now I owe on my insurance. In their replacement request it said a new one would be sent provided my original money order remains uncashed. It was cashed by progressive nearly in the same timeframe I has requested a replacement after a month of dealing with Moneygram.

It is 8/10 and I STILL have not received the replacement money order and now the money order that was cashed by progressive was returned and now I owe on my account and AM OUT MY MONEY. I AM PISSED! I had paid a 25$ processing fee that was to be taken out of my replacement money order and was only getting $94 and now moneygram has scammed me of that money?!

I reached out to an online chat representative and was told that the refund would be coming back via a "wired transfer" which WAS NEVER STATED on the claims page for my claim (case: #########). It stated "A replacement money order will be sent in 2 business day provided your money order remains uncashed". AGAIN IT WAS CASHED AND I STILL HAVE NO REPLACEMENT FUNDS! THIS IS EXTREMELY UNPROFESSIONAL! I NEED MY MONEY TODAY as it is WELL past the deadline they promised!!!!

The online chat associate I spoke to said I would receive the 8 digit wired transfer code number 8/11 to pick up my money in cash via a money gram store? AGAIN, I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THIS!!!!!! I paid a $25 processing fee to not receive a replacement check, but instead have to physically wait for a 8 digit code and then find a location to pick up my money?? They said it would take two business days and it is well over a week later and I paid a processing fee for what? THEY CAN'T EVEN HONOR THEIR OWN POLICY! I WILL NEVER be using moneygram services again as this is highly unprofessional and I bet I STILL won't have my money replacement or code on 8/11!

MoneyGram Company Information