2. Finance
  3. Money Transfer

3.9/5 (629 ratings)

About MoneyGram

MoneyGram provides online and in-person money transfers, money orders and bill payments. Customers can send money domestically or internationally and choose from nearly 50 different currencies.

Pros

• Large global availability
  • Flexible payout options
  • Fraud education resources

Cons

• Exchange rates can be poor
  • Fees can vary

Bottom Line

MoneyGram is one of the largest wire transfer services in the world. It lets you send and receive money, pay bills and more. The company does its best to make sure transfers are convenient, easy and safe.

Top MoneyGram Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I changed to MoneyGram and never had any of the issues or problems that I experienced with Western Union. MoneyGram is very quick, efficient, professional and polite...I have neve...

Verified

The App is easy to use, the fees are clearly indicated based on the amount you wish to send and one gives the option to send money using your bank account or debit/credit card… I...

What is MoneyGram?

MoneyGram is one of the world’s largest money transfer providers. The company has decades of experience and a trustworthy reputation. MoneyGram has made it a goal to educate its customers on fraud and take whatever precautions it can to avoid having customers transfer money to scammers.

How does MoneyGram work?

MoneyGram lets customers send money either online or in-person. To send money online, you must first create an account. From there, select either a bank or MoneyGram agent location and choose how you want to pay.

It's also possible to set up an online transfer and later pay in-store with cash by showing a government identification. For in-person service, you can go to your closest agent location with a government ID, the receiver’s information and the money you’re sending.

If you're receiving money, the sender can transfer it to a bank account, a mobile wallet or an agent location for pickup. If the money is going to a bank account or mobile wallet, there's nothing you have to do — the funds arrive in your account once the transfer is processed.

For an in-person pickup, you need the transfer reference number and a valid government ID. You may need to fill out a receive form, but it's not always required. Money sent to a MoneyGram location will be ready in minutes, but bank account transfers take longer.

MoneyGram fees

MoneyGram aims to match its competitors' rates as closely as possible. Fees vary based on several factors, including the money's destination and the type of transfer you choose. The website offers a fee estimator for a more precise idea of the costs. Exchange rates are updated in real time, but customers have noted in reviews that these rates aren’t always as good as what some competitors offer.

MoneyGram FAQ

Where can I cash a MoneyGram money order?
There are a couple of ways to handle a money order from MoneyGram. It can be deposited into your bank account or cashed at many check-cashing businesses.
Can you receive MoneyGram online?
You can receive MoneyGram online if it's sent directly to a bank account or a mobile wallet. If this is the case, the money should be available online without you having to do anything.
Why does MoneyGram hold money?
MoneyGram doesn’t specify much when it comes to its policies on holding money. With most money transfer companies, holds depend on authorization, the amount sent, the destination and identification requirements.
How do I open a MoneyGram account?
Opening a MoneyGram account is a simple process. Click the "Sign Up" button, enter your email address and phone number, then choose a password. You'll then have to enter your legal name, your birth date and address. Finally, click the "Create Profile" button.
How do I get a refund from MoneyGram?
If you cancel your money order within 30 minutes of sending it, MoneyGram refunds the full amount. After that, you can still get a partial refund for up to 180 days, excluding fees.
Is MoneyGram better than Western Union?
Western Union has more locations than MoneyGram and is sometimes more competitively priced. The best thing to do is to compare rates to find which service offers a better value.

Is MoneyGram safe?

You should always treat money requests from unknown parties with extreme caution and never wire money to someone you don’t know. If you’re sending money to a friend or family member, however, MoneyGram is a safe option. As one of the world’s largest wire transfer sites, MoneyGram has plenty of experience and is a viable option for consumers who want to transfer funds.

MoneyGram Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MoneyGram?

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

Moneygram. I Love the Service it provides. No waiting in Line, Great online experience. Easy to Send Money. I have been a customer for 15 years. The price to send funds are Amazing. Lots of Places were you can received Transactions. Great Service to use when You want to Send money to Family members and Friends.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2020

I've used MoneyGram a few times inside a CVS store, the computer part of it is not complicated to fill out the required areas, the big issue I had is that on 2 occasions when I had proceeded to the cashier to collect my money, the cashier said to me,"Oh, we don't have enough CASH in the register to give you so you're going to have to go to another moneygram location!!", that's not right, They need to fix that GLITCH, before people fill in all the personal information in the computer!!

Get buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2020

I used Moneygram a couple of times, granted, some time ago. Easy to register online and send money from a bank account. Money was received halfway across the globe within 2-3 days. Zero glitches, unlike other money transfer services. However, you pay for this convenience and peace of mind, commission was 4%-5%, so if you send large amounts, you have to do more research. So one star off because of the cost.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2020

Most of my money transfer recently were made using Moneygram. All services are present such as automatic conversion of amount to send, a list of most countries in the world. The sending process is very smooth and quick (in minute pick up). The only inconvenient is that the rate is slightly low, so they might need to raise it a bit. I would definitely recommend it to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

Moneygram is the best money transfer device. It’s, fast easy and convenient with little to no additional fees. Transferring money just got easier. You can even get funds to friends and loved ones from the comfort of your home; Moneygram offer services online and the app which I happen to use myself. I love Moneygram!!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

Spoke to manager to request a refund for my cousin Valry **, who could not get the $2230+ that was sent, due to my Aunty dying after being ran down and bombarded with Chemo and Radiation, when these doctors in America knows that this does nothing for the body but weakens the immune system and causes one's defenses to be too low when man made viruses like corona is out there. This company would not even refund my 4.99USD in fees and the money couldn’t be send because I do not use Western Union any more to send money to her daughter Jodian ** like she requested. My sister Tachnique ** will have to sort that out.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

Had to send money to my daughter on St. Kitts and this was the safest way to send it. She had no problem picking up the money and using the website was very easy. I would recommend using Money over Wester Union.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

First time I used a Money Gram and the transfer went well and the other party was in another state.. I did not have to drive into Oakhurst or Fresno to do this transfer. Dollar General was very professional when I came into the store.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

On 14. September we send 2 money transfers to Kenya, got Email confirmation, but money did not arrive. 1. Transfer made on 14. Aug 2021 No **. 2. Transfer made on 14. Aug 2021 No **. Made several complains, but no reaction, up to now. This company is not reliable.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

Took longer than 4 days to send money. It used to be in an hr. I've done so many transactions before. It's not like they had to check my background or so and was not huge amount. Few hundreds of $. Worst. Never again.

MoneyGram Company Information