2.43/5

934 MoneyGram Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 21, 2019

$300 US taken out of bank account and reference number given for mobile money. It never came. Sender told for security reasons money could not be sent. The amount of money was too much. Find another way to send it because account is flagged. That after talking to 3 people. There are expats, business and purchases to Africa. $300 is not a large sum of money. Now it will take 5-10 days to refund the money to sender. Africa needs to ban this Company.

Original review: May 21, 2019

I used MoneyGram as I have done no less than 100 time before to send money internationally on the 15th of May 2019. Today, 4 days later, I was informed that the transfer had been cancelled by MoneyGram. I call to find out the reason since I suspected that they we accusing my of some international money transfer fraud. They refused to give me a reason and told me that in the future I would have to use another service. When I tried to log on to my MoneyGram account, it had been deleted. To make matters worse, they have had my money in the hundreds of dollars for 4 days and tell me that it will take up to 10 additional days for a refund. Use MoneyGram at your own risk.

Get expert buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I sent a payment to a friend and I was temporarily double charged. I asked clarifications without any accusation of a sort and they disabled me from sending any Moneygram any longer online. From now on I'll have to go to a Moneygram location. They refused to provide any explanation or reason. It's the perfect mafia business. G

Original review: May 17, 2019

MoneyGram denied me from opening an account or even sending money in person at their locations. I called, emailed and chatted with them and each and every single time they will simply tell me: There's nothing they can do about it and that's the final decision. I asked them to at least tell me why, but no one seems to know the answer. Horrible. That, to me, is a discrimination pure and simple.

Original review: May 16, 2019

Opened an account online today, sent my funds and received 2 emails stating approved with my confirmation number. My 200.00 was immediately removed from my bank. 1 hour later I received an email my account was closed and transaction canceled! No reason or explanation! I first spoke to Robert who could not tell me anything about the transaction being canceled nor could he speak clear English, he sent me to online customer service whom as well didn’t speak clear English or give any info! Asked for a supervisor and he said the same as other 2!

I am not allowed to open an online account or use MoneyGram in any store location! Was informed I would get my money back in 8-10 days! Asked why they would take money out before the reviewed the transaction! Total waste of time to even bother with using this service! My recipient had already went to pick up money! And sent my merchandise! Why wouldn’t they, we had a approval a code for them to pick up payment! No answers! Sorry excuse for a company and worse customer service!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MoneyGram?

Original review: May 15, 2019

Went to pick up my cash today after traveling an hour by train because of limited location in my area. Was told to call the sender because the transaction was not going through. They had taken the money out of her account already and we had gotten our reference number. She called MoneyGram and was told her transactions were denied and her money was refunded to her account. They could not give her an answer as to why they did that. Never more will I deal with this company!!! They also blocked my mom For no reasons. We live overseas from Our parents and this is how we got our allowances through this company! Very unreliable!!! Never again!

Original review: May 15, 2019

Tried to send $100 to our son on Texas for his senior trip. Did the transaction online and everything went fine. Son went to pick up the money and was told that because he was not 18 he could not pick up the money so he should have the sender....his dad, contact MoneyGram and put it in his mother's name to pick up. After searching for the right number finally got in touch with customer service.

After my husband verifies all of the information they asked for they decide that the piddly $100 transaction was fraudulent and not only did they flag it, they also closed my husband's account. They then proceeded to tell my husband that we will not get our money back for 3-10 business days. They then would not or could not tell my husband why they thought it was fraudulent. Apparently they need blood samples from all of the parties involved and Maury stating that, "Yes you are the father." So now we do not have the $100 to send the child for his trip. Thank you MoneyGram. Your customer service sucks.

Original review: May 13, 2019

Your customers service stinks!!! You closed my account then on top of that told me I can't used your service online or in local shops. I asked for an explanation to why this has happened, you couldn't tell me anything but only data protection. That still doesn't explain why the reason I can't used the service to send money. I'm not doing fraud or money laundering, I'm just sending money to my son and there is no crime in that. I wouldn't recommend or used your services ever again. Thank God I can send money with other companies..

Original review: May 9, 2019

The website gave one fee, and when I checked out I agreed to that fee. Once I checked my bank account they charge $40.00 more. When I complained their first excuse was that it cost more to send outside the country, When I corrected them I was IN the US sending to the US they changed their story. Now when I log into my account it shows 2 different fees to send the same amount.

Original review: May 8, 2019

They subscribe my money from bank account in same day-process not done after 5 days! It is mean, -they use my money in short credit, and I will pay fees for that!!! Please -don't use this service! It was my last time work with them!

Original review: May 8, 2019

MONEYGRAM in Colombia, South America (Its representative Banco de Colombia BANCOLOMBIA) refuses to pay because they cannot identify the transfer reference number on the global Moneygram Information Platform. Even if: Moneygram headquarters confirm IN WRITTEN that funds are available to pick up. Moneygram Case number ** $899.99. March 15 2019 to May 8 2019... and continue noncompliance... for long undefined time. I reported to following controller entities and nothing can be done to make the GIANT MONEYGRAM to release the funds. Reason: MONEYGRAM SYSTEM FAILURE. Contributions of MONEYGRAM, to AGGRAVATE, their noncompliance are:

Contribution to aggravation # 1:
MONEYGRAM refuses to provide escalation phone number, nor emails, nor fax to pursue and follow up a solution process. The only 1 number or email don’t resolve, don’t escalate satisfactorily, and don’t provide follow up separate specific points of contact.

Perceived message: “Don’t call, don’t write to us at Moneygram, you can sue us if you want”.

Contribution to aggravation #2:

MONEYGRAM sheds responsibility to the clients to follow up and RESOLVE.

Contribution to aggravation #3
MONEYGRAM refuses to INITIATE CONTACT with their agents to find out the impediment and troubleshoot the broken process. The agent also refuses to initiate contact.

The client is the only promoter of three way communications; ignored by MoneyGram and its agent.

Original review: May 6, 2019

My friend sent me $400 dollars because I needed some money urgently. I went to pick it up at a CVS that is identified as a MoneyGram location and they said they cannot give me the money because it exceeds the amount they could give there. I was told to call MoneyGram, which I did, and over the phone, the manager told me to go to Walmart, where I would for sure be able to pick up the money. So I did and the same problem occurred. MoneyGram has a policy where locations can only distribute $2500 in total across all clients every day, and Walmart also had exceeded that amount.

I spoke with a new manager and they looked in their computers and told me to go to another location, and once again, they promised I wouldn't have problems. But in the new location they were not able to give me the money for the same reason. I requested that the money be given back to the sender and they won't do it either. I will never use MoneyGram services again ever. Incredibly disrespectful service for me and for the sender. Worst service ever.

Original review: May 6, 2019

MoneyGram just closed my account without any reason. I was using this service for the last 8+. What was disgusting that an email was saying "After careful review ...". The email was generated by the system automatically and send to me in a matter of seconds after the online transaction was rejected. "Careful review" they said. They make me feel like I am criminal. No explanations were given when I filed a complaint via website and later called the helpdesk.

Original review: May 5, 2019

I used MoneyGram for months now to send my girlfriend money now and then. However one day they just up and banned my account from ever being usable again. I called them because this money transaction had to go through due to the importance, thinking it was some sort of fixable error. All they would tell me is that they did so for security purposes and my protection, never stating why and that I could not create a new one, no explanation, and to seek alternate transaction methods. The asinine horseplay by MoneyGram has put me in a bad spot. I could never recommend them to anyone if this is how they treat their customers. I now see why they have so many issues across the board, steer clear from Moneygram. They have zero value in their customers.

Original review: May 4, 2019

Back in February 2019 I used MoneyGram to send a little bit of money to a friend ($400). The friend needed this much more money for a down payment on a car. They were without a car at the time. That transaction went through fine. Today I tried to log onto my MoneyGram account (which I set up back in February for that first transaction). This was the second time I was going to use MoneyGram. After inputting my email address on record and my password I kept getting an error message and it said "try again later." I tried this several times over the course of about 4 hours, with the same result. I finally got on the online chat help service at MoneyGram and chatted with a representative. After looking into my issue he said he couldn't help via chat and I'd need to call customer service, which I did.

So I get on the call with customer 'service' and the agent starts asking me about my identity, which is understandable. Then the person starts quizzing me about the little transaction I made back in February. What was it for, what was the recipient's name, etc. etc. I told them all of this. Then he says that I may have been taken advantage of or something to that effect. I said, no, not at all, I voluntarily offered this to my friend. I'm 62 years old and didn't just roll off the back of a turnip wagon, if you know what I mean.

Then the agent said he would have to do a check into my account and if it could be reinstated (apparently the error message I was getting was due to my account being frozen or whatever). So 15 seconds later he comes back and says that unfortunately my account is no longer any good, and that I cannot use MoneyGram again. I was rather shocked. I have never had a vendor tell me that they didn't want my business. But I'm glad I know how they operate now! I'm glad that they will never see another red cent of mine! What a company! I've never before experienced anything like that in my life!

Original review: May 4, 2019

I sent some money to my sister because she had no money to buy a ticket to Iran from Turkey. She did go and they ignored to pay her the amount. After 3 weeks calling and writing the agent in Turkey said that they can't do anything and the German agent could not speak German and I didn't understand his English or German. Finally I have noticed that MoneyGram is just a modern Bandit Thief and nothing else. If you want to lose your money and time and nerve then you can do business with MoneyThief.

Original review: May 3, 2019

Having been sending money with MoneyGram for the last 4 years on a weekly regular basis to the same recipient, MoneyGram has suddenly decided that they're not happy with transaction! And have refused to send it. They have also taken the money from my bank account and not yet refunded it. I was informed that the refund would take 10-12 working days. I have now been waiting 35 days!!!! Why can MoneyGram take money from my bank account in under a second but it takes them 12 days to refund! Why do they send you an email saying, "Your transaction is approved and ready for collection," when it's still in the review process! Don't use MoneyGram. In the last 3 months this company has introduced ridiculous high and overcomplicated rules to ensure transactions are not fraudulent. Their call centre staff are badly trained and very rude and disrespectful.

Original review: May 2, 2019

I sent money to Turkey and they blocked it for days and after all documents were provided the person wasn't allowed to collect the money so I had to get it back after a week of constant contact. Now I tried to make sure that if I send it through another country (Australia) they'll confirm it going through without any problem, answer was, "Send money first. We'll let you know afterwards!!!!" Who in their right mind would use such an unreliable useless service??? I'll never used it again and will inform others to use other services as well.

Original review: May 1, 2019

I have been sending money to my wife’s relatives in a rural part of the Philippines for a few years without incident using WesternUnion. I tried to shift to MoneyGram as the pickup is mere minutes from her relatives' home as opposed to an hour using WU. In September 2018, I used the MoneyGram online app to send money. No problem initially. Twenty minutes later, I get a text and email saying the transaction is cancelled and my account is canceled. Additionally, I was informed that I could no longer use their online service.

I went to my local Walmart and sent money with no problem. I got tired of standing in the customer service line at Walmart so I tried again online. I got an alert stating my account was cancelled and I can never use it. I called again and talked to a drone reading from a script. She had no idea why my account was canceled and recommend I use another service. I found a transfer service called Xoom. I downloaded their app and within 20 minutes created an account and sent money to my wife’s relatives. The location was the same as where Walmart MoneyGram were picked up. Moneygram, you are dead to me.

Original review: April 29, 2019

I lost my money order. I submitted a request for a new money order. First they charge you 18 dollars to process it in 3 days, or you can wait for 1 week. Then the kicker is you still don't get it back until 1-2 weeks later, unless you pay $22 for overnight shipping. Then they send you a check in your name, instead of a money order which you purchased in the first place. So now you have to cash the check so you can get another money order. Then MoneyGram puts the date you filed the claim, so it is a 7-14 day old check when you get it and no one wants to cash it. So then you have to put it in your account and wait for it to clear. I will never purchase a money order from them again. No one intends on losing anything and MoneyGram makes it worse.

Original review: April 26, 2019

DO NOT TRUST MoneyGram WITH YOUR HARD EARNED DOLLARS. After 2 years of reasonable use suddenly a very important transaction is "INVALID". The explanation, after I deciphered the poor English of the rep was that MoneyGram reviews some transactions and this little $70 transaction was not approved. Why? they can't tell me. Rep reads from a set script and repeats the what but not the why. Oh yes, there are no supervisors or managers in the whole of MoneyGram. All of the reps work on their own. Worst customer experience ever. They are keeping my money for 10 business days (and earning interest on all the monies they keep without explanation). Could add to millions a day!

Original review: April 25, 2019

I sent $75.00 to my son to use for medicine for my granddaughter. Transaction appeared to go through with no problem. I called and gave my son the reference number to pick up the money. When he got there they said the reference number was invalid. I checked, thinking that I had given him the wrong number; I hadn't. Then I called customer service and was told that the transaction had been "declined." When I asked why (I was nowhere near the daily or monthly limit) I was informed that MoneyGram reviews all transactions and reserves the right to decline to process a transaction. However, no one could tell me why it had been declined; but said they would refund my money within 5 to 10 business days.

I indicated that it was important that my son receive the money but they simply parroted back the same line of explanation -- which basically was no explanation. I asked to speak to a supervisor. I was told it would do me no good. I insisted and was finally transferred to someone else who simply repeated the same "explanation" word for word. I then asked to file a complaint and was given the following address: 2828 N. Harwood Street, Dallas, TX 75201. When I asked who to address the complain to I was simply told "15th Floor." All I wanted was a logical explanation. This experience wasted my time; my son's time and gas money and 8 days later still has my money tied up.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I've been MoneyGram customer for past 6 years. In past 18 months something started happening that couldn't be explained by their customer service (mind that customer service is located in South America and they're far away from speaking "good" English). 18 months ago I noticed a transaction in my online account showing status of "processing". When I called CS they escalated it to their higher tier security but never got a call back. This transactions would show in my account for another 18 months.

Eventually I would see more of this type of "ghost" transactions on my account. Few weeks ago I sent transaction to my family in europe. Next week I tried to do it again but was getting error when trying to log in. Once again spoke to CS rep and was escalated to their security dept (Jasmin) that was supposed to help me with my access being blocked. After insisting on speaking to someone with fluent english she anounced that my account was closed and I need to go to the store location to complete transaction. She refused to give me detailes why it was closed. To everyone reading this do yourself a favor and just try Western Union - it's like a day & night and their prices are lower too.

Original review: April 23, 2019

MoneyGram is the worst money transfer company there is on the planet, in particular their agent Bank of South Pacific (BSP) in Honiara, Solomon Islands is one of the worst agents in the world. Let it be known to everyone and travellers to the Solomon Islands, never ever use MoneyGram in that country, it will take 1 week before you collect your money, and it will take 1 week just for a simple correction to be made, and every time they give you a Reference Number it is always invalid then after 1 week you will get a Reference Number that is working, their customer service is soooo horrible and **, what a damnest MoneyGram agent and MoneyGram is the worst money transfer company, never ever use them. Go to Western Union instead. They are first class with first class customer service!!

Original review: April 20, 2019

I sent money fine one day. Loved the experience. Went smooth. Next time I go to log in I realize I can't remember my password so I chose forget password and the nightmare begins. It keeps giving me error. I try several times. Finally I email contact. I get no response. I try again a few times and give up. Few days later I try again, still getting error. I decide to call. Talk to someone and the person was no help at all. He had me try to change password with him on phone. Didn't work. He said choose different browser. Did that. Didn't work. He said try from a different phone. I did that too. Nothing worked. Still error. So, he's like try again after 30 min. I tell him I've already tried after couple of days and it is not working. Something else is wrong. He keeps saying same thing. He hangs up. I try again after 1 hour. Error message still. So, now I leave bad review. Bad.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I needed to send money to my grandson, per his suggestion and against my better judgment, used Walmart 2 Walmart money transfer as the way to accomplish this. I got redirected to MoneyGram and the experience has been not at all satisfactory. On April 4, I initiated the funds' transfer from my checking account. It is now April 9 and the money is still 'processing.' I understood up front that this transfer would take 3-4 business days. Now for the specifics.

The ACH debit from my account occurred the same day--plus an 8% fee. On April 9, as of 3 pm, the money still shows as 'processing.' The tracking system part of this service could not locate the transaction, using either the authorization number or the originator's phone number. It took some exploring, but I found a number to call for resolution. The results were unsatisfactory.

My call got transferred a couple of times and no matter the person, it was not one whose primary language was English, which further complicated this. They finally found my transaction information and immediately told me it has only been three days, the money wouldn't be available before tomorrow. When I suggested that my calendar made this the fourth day, not the third, I was told the first day didn't count, that it started the following day. When I queried what about the day three of their "day three" part of this, I got no definitive answer.

This is a ripoff business. Not only do they charge 8% for using them, but they also pull the money from the initiator's account and keep it for their own use during this 'processing' period. They have no intention of even releasing the money for the one that needs it before they've extracted all they can, from the use of that money, before releasing it. I continue to break out in a rash every time I use something to related to Walmart and I will not use MoneyGram again.

Original review: April 9, 2019

MoneyGram is a scam, they just look for a reason to hijack your own money by saying they are protecting the money (apparently even from the sender). I call it legal robbery and government don’t do anything about it, I have sent a couple thousand at the time of funeral of a family member when they needed it and it’s been 4 years and money is still sitting with MoneyGram and they are not even refunding it back to me, horrible service and apparently the call centre is in India, country is full of scams, I know that because I’m from there and when you call them they treat you like it’s not your money and you are asking for a loan instead, they asked me to provide a death Certificate of my dead family member, they asked me what was my grandfather's name and what did he do then they asked me about what do I do.

Once I said I work in sales then they asked me what kind of sales industry I’m In and how much did I make last year, they asked me, then they asked me what type of jobs have I done other than sales in my life, the way I see it that’s too many personal questions and they have no right to ask personal questions especially when they have my money in their hands, even government don’t ask these kind of questions, I am really mad and frustrated at this point.

I hope I had extra money so I can file a lawsuit against MoneyGram, I’m making awareness so more people don’t get victimized By MoneyGram, point is it’s not about losing money, it’s about when you send money and you know you are sending money for a reason, family member of yours or your kid or even pregnant wife of yours need money at that time and they won’t receive it when it’s needed and what what kind of trouble they might be in, MoneyGram is a scam. Please protect your self from MoneyGram.

Original review: April 8, 2019

MoneyGram "security" flagged my transaction and closed my account. I went online, chatted with an agent, answered questions and the freeze was lifted. My transaction went through without a problem. Fast forward 10 days later - same exact person being sent money, same thing happened. Only this time the agent stated "I cannot do anything for you".

Here is the problem. They have the world's worst "security". Clearly whatever security they use, it is garbage. Their so-called security is incapable of distinguishing between legitimate transactions (as you can see by the numerous complaints) and criminal transactions. I would even go as far as to opine that they more likely than not allow 90% of criminal transactions to go through and block legitimate people to keep their numbers up. Know this - they are more than aware that their practices alienate legitimate customers. Send letters to their shareholders. They received one star because I was required to in order to submit this review.

Original review: April 7, 2019

Horrible experience! The online platform claims to be international but it’s not. After spending the time to sign up then transfer money, the transaction was denied then I later got an email telling me my account is suspended! No explanation either. I found out from the reviews that MoneyGram is the reason and not me or the person I’m sending money to. They just suck and are a waste of time. I informed them on the phone I will go out of my way to make sure none of my family members and friends use them for wasting a lot of my time as they did yesterday. I hardly ever write any reviews but I had to for this one.

Original review: April 5, 2019

I've been using MoneyGram since my marriage to my foreign-born husband almost 5 years ago, on almost monthly basis. Small amounts usually, as that is what we needed. I usually reserve larger transfers for our property building by bank wire. We just received our joint tax return, so I decided to use MoneyGram to transfer less than 3K to him to buy a flight ticket to US locally (better prices) and to do some shopping for us for local goods. The reason I chose them was because of speed and convenience. The problem is, it is one of the African countries. Not any of the scam related countries, either. Not on a sanction list.

My transaction got flagged and refused. When I called I was told it was due to people collecting money in the area, and they did not feel safe handling my money. Ok. I called my husband and told him I'll bank wire it. Which I did, in less than 5 minutes today. This however, takes about 5 business days to complete, which will delay his travel.

What made me mad about MoneyGram. They collected my personal information and banking information up front and denied my transfer after, and not before knowing where I am sending, and how much. If they are not comfortable to send to a given country, tell people up front, here are the limits or we no longer deal with this country. And to top it off, I received a follow-up email advising me to go to an agent location to do this transfer in person.

When I wrote Moneygram a firmly worded email telling them how upset I am as a long term customer, they responded that we don't wish to deal with you, your account is closed. I had this problem once before, several years back. It was overcome by emails to my congressperson's office, as this transfer was international, my spouse was in the immigration process (not by choice living apart). They told me to file an FTC complaint and resolved the issue for me.

So that should be the route for those of you who need to transfer money internationally to out of the way countries, where there are limited options to send to without an expense of a bank wire, or if your receiver lacks a bank account. When I googled FTC and MoneyGram it appears that in November 2018 the company agreed to pay out 125 million dollars to settle a lawsuit by FTC (Federal Trade Commission). So it appears, they are being extra cautious and alienating their reliable customers (like me) who send "too much" to the same person "too often".

Well, with my husband moving back to US now, I will let him deal with them, as he will experience the same exact issue when sending money as I am. Perhaps in their wisdom to protect people from scams and to prevent money laundering, our own government agencies are infringing on the rights of people like us, who have family and lives overseas and very limited options to money transfer (MoneyGram, Western Union or bank wire). I am hoping DOJ, FTC and money transfer agencies will reach a happy medium.

Since big brother is watching us at every moment of our lives, and publishes items like I own this property and I paid x amount of taxes without my permission, or allows unreputable "record collecting" companies to blast my presence all over the internet without my permission (but gives me an opt-out) maybe what they need is a "safe sender database" just like the TSA pre-approved. Not that I need more government intrusion into our lives. But I do have a life, I and my (international) family are decent law-abiding people, and would like to be treated as such. So for those of you in the same boat as I, emails to FTC and your congressperson should be your first line of defense. I am sure whatever "scammers" were using those services since have another channel for their craft. Be safe people, only send money to people you know for reasons that you know.

MoneyGram expert review by ConsumerAffairs

MoneyGram was established in 1988 and took its current form in 1998, but it has a history going back to 1940 with the Travelers Express Company. It became a publically-traded company in 2004 and is headquartered in Dallas. MoneyGram offers money transfers, bill pay services, money orders and other financial services.

• Reload mobile minutes: MoneyGram’s Mobile Top-Up service lets customers add minutes to pre-paid cell phones on over 350 carriers in more 100 countries. Minutes are added almost instantly.

• Bill pay: Consumers can pay healthcare bills or make child support payments using MoneyGram. They can pay with cash, a bank account or a credit card. Interested customers can see the list of information they will need on the company’s website.

• Gift cards: Consumers can use MoneyGram to reload prepaid gift cards even when they do not have the physical card. This feature can make it easy to give gifts to someone else, and funds are usually available instantly.

• MoneyGram Plus: The MoneyGram Plus program gives members exclusive discounts. Members can also elect to receive messages as soon as the recipient has funds transferred to them.

• App: The MoneyGram app allows customers to send money to other people and pay their bill directly from their mobile device. The app is available for both Apple and Android devices. Consumers must be a part of the MoneyGram Plus program to use the app.

• Best for: MoneyGram has services to meet most consumers’ needs, including individuals, business owners and travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs