MoneyGram

Compare Money Transfer and International Money Transfer Services

I wanted to wire $20 online to a relative and was told that due to the recent terrorists attacks my online account was frozen. I don't support terrorists or terrorism. I am a patriot and a citizen of the United States of America. I was able to send it online through Western Union which was actually cheaper.

I have been sending money grams for about six years now. Recently I was trying to send another when I could not get into my account. I tried and tried and then called MoneyGram to see why. The man who I spoke with said that my account has been canceled. I asked why and he did not know. I said that is unacceptable. They can't just cancel my account without an explanation. He said he did not have an explanation and I asked to speak to his supervisor. He said there was no one else to speak to. How can that be? How can a company just cancel your account and you have no recourse? I still don't know if The MoneyGram I sent a while back and canceled had ever been refunded. There's no way for me to go in and see now! WHAT IN THE WORLD??? I'm DONE with this underhanded, I'll run piece of junk company. How can they still be in business when they handle people's money???

The reason I am writing this review is because on the MoneyGram website it says that if you make any payment, a reference number is generated. The receiver can only receive the money only if he/she provides the reference number at the MoneyGram pick up counter for cash pick. He/she also have to provide his/her Identification card. So, I made a payment in belief that my transaction will be safe. THIS IS ALL FALSE.

Apparently, you can just give the sender information, exact amount of the money transferred and you can get the reference number and pick up the money. There is nowhere on their website it says that you can do that. In fact and I quote from MoneyGram website - "The Reference number is assigned to a transaction when the money has been sent successfully. For cash pickup transactions, the receiver must have this number to pick up the money. If you sent the transaction, you can find this number in the Email address you may have received when you completed your transfer. If you are receiving the transaction, you will need to ask your sender for this number." This is total fraud and I HIGHLY DISCOURAGE ANYONE TO USE MONEYGRAM.

It was horrible. I paid for 10 min service and didn't receive it. I had to wait on hold for 40 mins to speak to someone then at the end of the day he never received the money. The next day I had to get a refund. I wouldn't recommend MoneyGram to no one.

2 days ago I sent $2500 to my brother in Morocco. When he tried to collect the money they told him that I the receiver should call the customer service. I did so they asked me a bunch of questions then the lady told me that she need to transfer me to another service department. The other lady asked me the same questions like the first one then she told me the MoneyGram DOES NOT FEEL COMFORTABLE with the transaction and I have to go back to get my refund. I asked for the reason so I can work on it to solve the issue, she kept telling me the same sentence like a robot. I use to send a significant amount of money to my family through MoneyGram since 2010 but now they DO NOT FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH THE TRANSACTION!!!! Are you kidding me. Please let me congrats you. You just come with the biggest stupid arguments ever.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MoneyGram?

I have used your company to sent money to my parents in South Africa many times over the last few years, and have been very grateful for your service. I have recently become very concerned about a number of very odd interactions with your online website and your call center, which pose a very real security risk for your clients.

Let me explain. I send my parents money once a month, and not too long ago I started sending them money online, as it was far more convenient than going into a store. Yesterday I attempted to send money in the usual way and was locked out of my account online. I typed in the password EXACTLY. I did this THREE TIMES. I had the password written down, there is NO WAY it was being entered incorrectly. This was red flag number one.

I then tried to log in using the five digit temporary password that had been emailed me. It was rejected TWICE. Red flag number two. I was then locked out of my account. I then called the number that was emailed to me, in order to reopen my online account. The person who answered was VERY unclear. It was very difficult to understand anything he said. Surely this is VERY bad company policy? Why would you have someone man your customer care lines that cannot communicate clearly?? How illogical is that?

He then proceeded to ramble on incoherently about what, no one knows. I asked him to please come to the point so we could just get the problem solved (10 minutes into the call). He then asked me if I knew anything about and then he mentioned a few random street names? I answered a few times and then asked him how this could possibly help verify who I was? He then threw out some glib line of company policy, as if that would suddenly make all his idiotic questions make sense?

He then stated there was a problem with my SSN??? What? At that point I was really spooked. None of this made any sense, and I felt very unsafe as if I was being scammed. Red flag number THREE. I then asked to please speak to a supervisor or anyone who could explain the need for these highly irrelevant questions. He kept me on the line waiting for a time and then came back and said there was no supervisor. Really?? Red flag number FOUR.

Crazy stuff. Please review your call center as well as how you relate to your clients/customers. I would like to continue using your services but am very fearful that there are security breaches in your operation that perhaps you are not aware of. Or if this is truly necessary, perhaps employ call center operators that firstly speak coherent, and then have them better explain your procedures in order for your customers not to feel exploited and violated.

I purchased a money order from MoneyGram, and I do not use the money order for the purpose that I bought it. I went to the place that I purchased it then I was told they sell them but they don't refund nor exchange, and they suggest that I call MoneyGram, but I said to myself that does not make sense, as money order is considered cash, so I decided to go to my bank to cash out or deposit the money order, then my bank declines it as well. Now, I call MoneyGram. They asked me for the receipt order, which I gave them, and they confirm it was their product and it is valued for $200.00.

Now, the customer service rep started to interrogate me. He said for me to go to check cashing place and told them what I have explained they will acknowledge it. I said, "Why don't you accept to return me my fund directly." He said, "I am going to there let me finish explained." He said the next option is to send a claim card, but you will need to purchase it from a store. I said to myself what the hell is all this back and forth to receive my money back.

The only thing I could come up with is that Moneygram is a crook, and will steal your money and refuse to give you a refund even though you have explained yourself over and over. The form, the rep told me that I must purchase is also on their website, which I am sure why he wants me to go to a store to purchase, so I can return the money order. Now, I am stucked with $200.00 money order that I cannot use. It is so unfair. Why allow businesses from foreign countries to do business in our country, if they cannot be honest.

I provide a service to federal prisoners who are allowed to use TRUGRAM as a method of payment for my service, which is in conjunction with the company known as MoneyGram. An inmate, who generally has very little money, can pay $4.95 to have money transferred from his inmate trust account to people on the outside, and Moneygram will, apparently, happily accept that cash. But when the person on the outside tries to collect the money, Moneygram makes the person jump through hoops by answering personal and private information that is irrelevant to the transaction. When the inmate sends the money from the prison, an email is sent to the receiver listing the inmate's name, the receiver's name, the amount and their "reference number". So there is sufficient information that would keep anyone else from trying to collect the cash from that transaction.

But Moneygram seems to look for ways to deny the transaction, allowing them to hold onto the inmate's money for "up to 30 days", and then when they do finally refund the money to the inmate, they KEEP the $4.95 fee! They should not be entitled to their fee if they didn't perform the service! If I receive a personal email with the above information, I should be able to collect the money that the inmate sent to me without question, period. I have to provide a photo-ID, that should be sufficient for them in case there was any question as to whom the money was transferred. The Customer Service clerks at Walmart are a joke, too, but that's not the point of this complaint.

My online account was locked with MoneyGram and in order to unlock it, I had to speak with customer service. In communicating with customer service, they asked me a few questions to validate my identity. And then they started to ask me questions about other people, i.e. Do you know this person? How old are they? When is their birthday? I appreciate and understand that verifying my identity is a safety precaution. However, most of the questioning was about other people and I felt that the questions asked were inappropriate as it did not serve to prove who I am. This is unacceptable and unethical! I voiced my concerns to the company and now I'm sharing them with ConsumerAffairs. Protecting the customer should not feel as if the customer is being jeopardized. I am not inclined to use this service again for fear that my personal information may have been compromised.

Where do I start? Tried to receive money. Transaction blocked. Told to call Moneygram 800 number. Did so. Told to have sender call them. I hung up to do so. Thought of something else so called back. 10 minute call many inane questions. Later was told "transaction not possible at this time. Please have... (my name) call us to verify information." I said "I AM (my name). What are you talking about?" Then they said have the sender call. This whole time the very unhelpful Walmart employees Managers I might add start asking me questions... "is this money from a family member? "Don't you have a checking account?" Told them "NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. Can you help me or not?" "Oh no. We are separate from Moneygram." Ok then stop talking.

Why would one company allow another to do business inside their physical plant and deny some type of connection/shared relationship. Avoid Moneygram. Avoid Walmart money services. Tried a money order next. That was an even worse experience!!! Run away.

Unpleasant experience. My family sent me money, I go to Walmart, try to pick it up and they make me call MoneyGram. Ok, I do so and these guys start asking million irrelevant personal questions! I'll never waste my time and go to MoneyGram again! Horrible! The guy that was on the phone with me from MoneyGram customer service was so hard to understand. So disappointed.

I have been blocked from sending money online. I called help center to tell them the only thing I did was couldn't remember my password so tried several times. When that didn't work I tried by sending as a guest. Then we tried under my husbands name. Now I am blocked!!! They said that was not a reason I would be blocked but could not tell me why. They did not have that information. So I asked who I could talk to to get it straight and was told I could not talk to anyone. Pretty much "too bad. Sorry about your luck"! So now I have to go to store to send money which I do all the time with no problems. Super frustrated!!

I just tried transferring some money to my niece that she needed for some school expenses. I went as a guest in the Walmart MoneyGram location to do the transfer as it is close from her husband work and he can get there with ease. The transaction appeared to have gone through when a message popped up telling me there was an error, to call the 800 number provided. After being questioned like a spy the woman proceeded to tell me that they would not process my transfer to go somewhere else. I asked what the problem was, they stated it was a security matter. I asked to talk to security, she stated they cannot transfer me to go use another service. What in God's name is this all about?

Wanted to send $50.00 to my fiancé’s cousin that just needed a little help. Since I was at work, I decided to use the Walmart's Moneygram online. Everything seemed fine until I got an email; "Please call us at 1-888-988-5726 to help us process your transaction. We review select transactions for consumer protection purposes. We have reviewed your transaction and determined that we need a little more information to successfully process it."

I called them up and it took 45 minutes, on hold twice, with 2 different people to answer a series of security questions that were extremely personal. I answered up to 3 consecutive questions correctly but after a few more (very personal family questions) I was starting to get aggravated and asked them to just process the transaction, at which time they stated that my transaction was declined but would not give me a reason why. They told me that if I wanted to use their services then I must do it in person at one of their authorized branches. Also, I cannot use their online service.

Run! Far! Never ever use this company. It is a waste of your time and money with their outstanding fees, invasive questions and lack of business ethics. I thought using their online service would be a convenience, but it's turned out to be an aggravating nightmare. Furthermore... I do not have access to my account to delete it or make changes! It's like they have taken it hostage!

We sent a transfer to our daughter in Canada via MoneyGram at Walmart. Trey assured us that the funds will be available for her and her baby in ten minutes. They asked for all kind of information such as names, addresses, phone numbers, etc. They gave us a confirmation number. Our daughter went to collect her funds four different times in a two days period after we did the transfer, and they did not give her any reason for denying the transfer. We went back to the Walmart store and requested they refund our money and the $30 "service fee".

The clerk called a number and after over 10 minutes of phone ringing she put us to talk on the phone with another person that sounded like she was in another country and continent... Pakistan, I believe. He asked all kinds of silly questions from us such as why we were sending the funds, who was the person we were sending the funds to, etc., etc. Finally, after 15 minutes of this nonsense, we got our money back and our so called "service fee" refunded... We will never again use MoneyGram and highly encourage anyone to avoid them.

I got scam cause I want African artifacts. I met them on Kik app but scam me through MoneyGram. No tracking number or email notification. Please help me get my money back. I want double the money I gave them. So $200 dollars I want back.

I spent over an hour answering personal information in attempts to get a moneygram sent. Very personal info that is really none of their business. I went along with it for a while but it never ended and it was apparent to me they were phishing, data mining and I'm sure selling my info... It cost me 99.00 dollars and I never got the moneygram sent. I had to give up on it and then had to block them from accessing my credit card... There is something seriously wrong with Walmart and this moneygram BS... I went to FedEx, paid 23.00 and had my money sent overnight. Next day she had the money delivered to her house. These days you should never allow someone your DL number, last 4 digits of your ss # and then a long long list of your past residences and friends and family. That's just way too much info to be giving out about yourself...

I sent my brother $60 through the MoneyGram app and they pulled it from my account then refused to send it to him. Told me I could not speak with a supervisor, asked me all sorts of personal questions, and told me I could not have my money back for 3 to 10 days! They would not transfer me to America and hung up on me when I refused to stop asking for a supervisor. I filled out an online complaint form and still have not received my money back or a call from MoneyGram.

I was shocked with my recent experience with MONEYGRAM. I am a working professional and saved up charity money to send to India. I had by mistake spelled the surname of the receiver wrong. This was a completely innocent mistake. I thought the matter was resolved, when I had it corrected and the charity would have received the donate of 300. The charity called me back to say the funds had been "blocked" and I was advised to called MoneyGram. I did call MoneyGram, and requested a refund, and was told "no funds will be refunded unless I sent personal information about myself and the receiver", and was interrogated, accused of fraud, the questions were very insulting, and incriminating beyond anything I had ever experienced in my life.

MoneyGram Agents were very insulting. They refused to accept that a mistake was made. They refused to listen to their own agent explain that I was the real sender and was entitled to the refund. I wrote 6 emails, and made over 5 hours of calls to MoneyGram spread out over 3 weeks. Unfortunately, I was left with no alternative but to supply sensitive information about me and the charity receiver and was told today by email that I will get my money back 5.3.17. I accept that MoneyGram have a duty to ensure that funds are sent and received by the correct people, but I feel humiliated and verbally raped, and held to ransom when requesting my money back.

Nobody in today's world and century deserves to go through such violation of civil rights/privacy by any company or person. Such unreasonable intrusion into my private affairs felt offensive, and insulting. Further MoneyGram tried to use my private information against me to create a false and incriminating situation which did not exist. I intend to write to their commissioner of complaints when MoneyGram finally discloses the correct information. My advice is DO NOT use MoneyGram. They are acting in a very unethical manner and have no regard for their customers.

Purchased a m.o. 5 years ago for $75 plus the fee from MoneyGram. Lost the m.o. Found it recently and sent it back to the company - original m.o., receipt, etc. They charged a $66 processing fee and returned $9.00. They had to do no research since I had the original m.o. Ripped off and I would never recommend them.

I was surprised that MoneyGram treat its customers that way. No support whatsoever with incompetent staff that barely speak English, keep asking the same questions and in a rude way. To have a transaction cancelled they have to transfer my call 6 times and I have to answer this questions over and over, staff just to care and it is frustrating. I wonder why MoneyGram is not a such popular company like Western Union. Now I know and I would like to let everyone know that even it is cheaper than Western Union sometimes, do not use MoneyGram.

I wanted to send $1,000 to my cousin that was coming from Texas to NY to see me and wanted him to pick something up for me. I went through the whole process. Paid the $99.99 just to sent the $1,000. Got an email that they needed more information. I called up and it took 20 minutes and 3 different people to tell me my transaction was declined and they will not tell me why, and said I can never use their service but won't tell me why. I don't get it, that's what they do, send money from me to someone else. I'm very upset about it and just wasted my time.

I sent 200.00 to my son overseas. A whole day later they are still holding the money. I called them to ask them what's going on. I was grilled intensively! They asked me very personal questions, I was on hold for about a half hour, the whole process took about an hour on the phone with them. I will not use Moneygram ever, ever, ever again. They have lost my respect. They've lost my business. I will make sure that none of my family and friends use them. Moneygram is a business that will fail due to their terrible customer service, low class, no dignity, and stupid rules. And, it seems like the head office is in India or somewhere overseas.

I attempted to send $1,400 in cash to my spouse from CA to OH using a MoneyGram located at CVS Pharmacy. Although I carefully followed all the established protocol, MoneyGram would not release the funds to my spouse saying that the store location she was at had a recent history of theft of services. They required me to call and answer a series of security questions that were increasingly invasive. They asked personal questions that no one should ask (or answer). When I complained about answering such personal questions they stated they would not release the money if I did not follow their procedures. I finally was able to get the store manager to speak with MoneyGram to help get the funds released. I encourage anyone reading this review to think twice before using MoneyGram. Their business practices are some of the poorest I've ever encountered.

Buggy app, incompetent support, illegal practices. This service is not something I would ever use, and I suggest the same to others. I set up my account and attempted to make a payment, unsuccessfully, with the only message of there being an error and to call technical support. The support was unable to help, suggesting only that I should use a different browser. I am using Chrome, which is 58% of the browser market. Next one is IE with 20%. So they have a bug somewhere and their technical support cannot diagnose the problem.

I could not find a delete account function. This is unacceptable really, but OK, I called them and they "removed" my account. I asked if all of my data is now deleted. They said yes. However, I still had a session open and could still go to a function where I see all of my credit cards. Thus, the data was not deleted. Also, I was told I could not create a new account with the email address I used before. When I asked why, they said it's because it's on the record. So how could it be on the record if they had deleted all of my data. There are certain rules of engagement when dealing with online users, especially if the service deals with sensitive information. This company is failing on some very critical ones. I cannot believe some official government websites are working with these guys. Pretty incredible.

A few days back I sent money in the amount of $100 without any issue. 3-4 days later, I attempted to send money again, to the same person/location for less than $300. THREE AND A HALF HOURS LATER, 5-6 PHONE CALLS TO MG, my account was CLOSED, and I am told the only way I can now send money is by going to a location in person. I am SUPER WORRIED. However reading all of the horror stories of in person issues, this company is as much of a joke as WU is. Are there not ANY proper money transfer services out there?!?!?

We were scammed out of $2000 and tried to get information from MoneyGram as to who picked up the cash. They were VERY rude and talked over us. The money was sent to Missouri at 1:27 and was to be picked up there but it wasn't picked up in Missouri at all. It was picked up in Benton, Ark at 1:45. That's pretty quick. It all seems prearranged. We were told that was against their policy but they sent it to Arkansas anyway. I tried to question them about this and they didn't want to discuss it. They kept saying, "we can't talk about this" over and over. These calls are sent out of the country and you can't understand anything they say. This company seriously needs to be looked into and shut down! How many complaints does it take to realize something is WRONG???

Sent money to my brother in Illinois to pay for his trip to assist me with family issues. 6 hours later logged into check status as he said it never got there (Walmart to Walmart). Called MG. Had to go through extensive interview and I asked if this was an ID theft scam as he asked when did I see this person last face to face, what is his job, what is our relationship and on on. To the end they stated I could return to Walmart and pick my money up. Lot of good that does for my brother. How irresponsible is this company!! Are they using the money in the interim? This company needs to have 60 minutes / 48 hours or Consumer Affairs take a look at its business practices.

I sent a online money transfer using Walmart MoneyGram on January 8 2017, and canceled the transaction on January 11 2017. MoneyGram did not return my money, so I contacted Chase to get the money back for me. MoneyGram then sold the transaction to TeleCheck, who then assigned it to TRS recovery services. This is debt collector. MoneyGram is a very dishonest company! I'm going to look for another way to send money to Mexico. Bad experience!

I have used MoneyGram online many times, today they took the money out of my account. They sent me a confirmation email, took the money out of my bank account and asked a SERIES of questions and really too personal. They asked our ages and what this person was going to do with the money!!! They asked the cross streets to where I live and what highway did I live off of and were so rude that it made no absolute sense. I spent 34 minutes out of my day with this because I did get hung up on and still have to go there after work for my refund. These people were rude and interrogated me like they were the F.B.I..

Compare Money Transfer and International Money Transfer