1.04/5

899 MoneyGram Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 24, 2019

Have done 2 transactions/money sending. 2nd one was blocked. I had to call. They asked so many questions, "Why this?" "Who is the person?" "What the reason? & bla bla bla..." All of these for security reason!!! Spent 30 min on the phone with 2 people to solve the SECURITY issue...amazing!!! These guys are not better than Xoom... They are in the same class!!!

Original review: March 22, 2019

I've used MoneyGram over to send money to my mom and kids. Now I tried to send money to friend who got in problem. They told that the money is on hold. Have to return it. Over a week now I've not received my refund. Now I tried to send money to mom they told me I can't send it back. My account is block. How hell my account block when I am p e sending the money for medical my mom. Name is always there. I was on the phone with staff. Cannot speak proper English. Cannot explain what happen. Those really need to address with customer. Don't have staff who can barely relay a proper situation. Thank you.

Get expert buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 21, 2019

Attempted to send $1000 to our son. Never received confirmation, called was told to wait, I waited 4 days when I called India again. I was told that my transaction had been canceled even though the $1000 was taken out of our account 2 days prior! Additionally, I was told that my account had been closed, I asked why, the representative said, “he was sorry for the inconvenience.” I asked to talk to someone higher up, the representative said, I would be told the same thing “sorry for the inconvenience.” I asked for a case number, anything that would tie me to my missing $1000. I was told that they did not give case numbers. I was told it would be 3-10 for the money to be put back into my checking account. Terrible customer service, horrible communication with someone that could barely speak English... Never again!

Original review: March 21, 2019

MoneyGram unilaterally closed my account after 3 years for no valid reason. Additionally, they processed a transaction from my bank account and have not refunded my money. I contacted MoneyGram by phone regarding closing my account and there is no one that can or will provide an explanation for closing the account nor is there any recourse. They also verbally said that they cancelled my international money transaction after withdrawing the money from my bank account but, I have not received a refund.

I recommend using another service because MoneyGram is unreliable and not a consumer oriented service. I would give them a negative or zero star rating but cannot go any lower than one star. I recommend using Xoom. But, send and receive in USD. Xoom makes too much money from the exchange rate (USD --> EUR) in addition to fee. The entire timeline using the bank account option took about 3 minutes from initiating the transfer to ready for pick-up.

Original review: March 19, 2019

OMG! The WORST experience ever! Walked into a MoneyGram location with $3000 cash to send to my son in another state. Was given the reference # and sent it to my son. When he arrived to pick up the money he was told there was "no record" of the transaction. I had to call MoneyGram and after answering a bunch of questions I was put on hold for at least 10 mins before "he" came back on the line & said he had to transfer my call to another department and finally after waiting for another 20 mins for someone to pick up the call I had to explain everything all over AGAIN and be put on hold AGAIN and then mysteriously my call was disconnected.

I called back immediately and waited 15 mins. for someone to answer my call only to have to go through the same routine yet AGAIN! Then I was told that my transaction was under "review" and that there was an "error" that would need to be researched before my refund could be processed and I would need to call back in another 24 to 48 hours! I asked for an explanation as to why my original transfer was cancelled by them and they never gave me a real explanation. Only saying they weren't "comfortable" sending the money to the recipient. I was so fed up at this point. I demanded to speak to a supervisor & was told that he was authorized to act as a supervisor and could do nothing more for me. I demanded that whoever was going to be "reviewing" my transaction to resolve the "error" needed to call ME back because I wasn't going to call over and over again only to be fed the same ** story.

He said he couldn't "guarantee" that anyone would call me but that he would put notes in to "expedite" my refund. In the meantime I am having to send another $3,000 to my son via money order overnight mail because the money is needed immediately and who knows when MoneyGram will allow me to have MY MONEY back! Worse customer service ever! None of them speak English & can’t understand them. All they do is shuffle you from one person to the next giving you some ** story and excuse. NEVER AGAIN!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MoneyGram?

Original review: March 18, 2019

Most of the other "money exchange stores" have the data of 10 years. If you ask for transaction history from MoneyGram they will charge from $25 US to $100 depending upon how old the transaction is made by you. I will not recommend this to anyone.

Original review: March 14, 2019

So I tried to send money to someone and when she tried to pick it up she was told she couldn't. I called to find out why and they told me they are closing my account and won't tell me why they are doing so. She needed that money to eat that day. So from now on, it's Western Union. ** Moneygram! If I could give zero stars I would. If I could give negative stars I'd give it -15,000,000,000.

Original review: March 14, 2019

After years of using MoneyGram my account was locked without warning. I chatted and called support and was treated like a criminal. To be told to find another money transfer company was beyond insulting. No notification, no explanation, no appeal and no chance to clear my name. I don't have any recommendation for an alternative for you, but I will tell you this. If you have any other way to transfer money I strongly advise you to use that method. Hopefully turning away loyal and innocent customers will lead to their eventual demise. Horrible...horrible...god awful company.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I made a transaction on 2/25/19 to an account that I send money on a monthly basis. In less than 24 hours, my receiver advised me that she had not received the money. I called MoneyGram at least five different times in an hour alerting them that my receiver had not received the money. One agent advised me that the money may have been sent to a different account since I may have clicked one wrong digit for the number I inserted. I argued that the confirmation number stated that the money was deposited into the account number that I send money to. She advised me to call after 3 to 4 business days. I called after more than 7 days to only to find an agent who hung up the phone on me concluding that I was disrespectful!

I was very offended that a customer service agent could even dare to hung the phone up on a customer. I called the next day and found another agent who also claimed that I sent the money to yet a different account number that was completely different from the one the first agent had mentioned! This morning I received email stating that the money was received while it truly wasn’t received. I have used MoneyGram for a long time and I’m even labeled a valued customer. I am truly disappointed since I have had to resend money to my receiver with the hope that my would be refunded. This money was meant for rent and utilities, I’m done with MoneyGram and hope people will pay attention to all complaints that other customers have experience!

Original review: March 9, 2019

Tried to send money to 2 different people who are related and they would not send the money to them. They said they were not comfortable sending it. Over the past 2 years have sent plenty of money without an issue. Now they have issues with it. They try to ask personal questions about your work and where you got your money from and what is it to be used for and how is the receiver related. Would not answer the questions. Told them you would have to get a subpoena for that information and I did not have to answer them where they told me to go back and get my refund. Told them to have manager call me and they said no they dont have to. Also press 1 for feedback and still no one has called.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Completely terrible company that will steal your money then delete all traces of your account. I tried to make a new account two different times and wasn’t able to complete it. Once I finally was able to speak to someone they said I could not use online services.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I sent 400 dollars twice. Tried to send 1000 to pay rent. Got a message to call for additional verification. Did that and was told MoneyGram does not feel comfortable sending the funds. Not only that but then they deleted my account without an explanation. Customer service was no help! I swear they are just the most idiotic people I have ever encountered. Now I am not sure how my rent will get paid... How does a business run like this? I had given them literally everything they needed to come knocking on my front door. What the hell is wrong with these people? They are located in different countries with heavy accents... I am not even able to send money thru Western Union now! I'm not the one doing fraud. I wouldn't be surprised if it was them!

Original review: March 5, 2019

Attempted to sent money online twice unsuccessfully and contacted customer service but got a runaround for two days with no help -- Had to cancel the first transaction due to failure to generate reference code needed for receiver to pick up cash. Then I was informed that refund takes 3-10 days but then I could resend the money again while waiting for my refund. I completed the resend and the same issue with not receiving reference number. Contacted customer service after over 24 hours initiating the transaction online and got lectured as to how the system automatically generates reference code and there's nothing they could do but cancel again. Now they owe me twice for cancelation but expect me to wait another 3-10 days before my refund. And, yes, they could not escalate the problem further and I'm supposed to wait for two refunds for the same incomplete transactions -- what a way to treat customer!

Original review: March 5, 2019

MoneyGram remind me of chemotherapy, while trying to destroy the cancerous cells it also destroys the healthy cells with no guarantee of a favorable outcome. Moneygram While trying to clamp down on scamming, they have successfully obstructed thousands of law abiding people trying to assist their families or friends in need of finacial assistance. Many people rely on relatives to send remittances. I use Moneygram to transfer money to my mother on a monthly basis because of the convenience of the local Walmart and ability of using my debit card to transfer money.

Recently I was blocked from sending my money. I tried talking to a customer rep to seek clarification but I told it's a computer system that creates an error code and there is no one or no way of resolving this issue. In essence I have to find another money transfer company. Now tell me how can Moneygram boast about their system saving billions on scamming when they are preventing ordinary people like me from conducting legitimate transfers. Scammers have ways of going around them thats what they are good at. Am I considered a scammer/fraudster for sending money on a monthly basis absolutely rediculous. The customer reps are of no help and sound more like the scammers on the those so annoying scam likely phonecalls.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I have had all the same problems everyone else has above but i had to continue to use MoneyGram to send money to my family in Costa Rica. My online account was arbitrarily canceled one day. Then I went back to sending from Walmart. And now they declined my transfer for no reason. I then was informed to try again later or another location. I went to a Checked Cashed place and tried to send. Also got declined. Then my wife tried and she got declined. They said we reached our limit. And the limit is $10k every 6 months. I have only sent $800.00 in the last 6 months via MoneyGram. I was on the phone and requested a manager. All they could every tell me in the Filipino call center is its the "system" we don't have access to the "system" the "matrix" blah blah.

I told them well someone had to create this "Matrix" and most certainly people managed and maintain it. I asked the manager if I can speak to her manager. She said they don't take phone calls. And she was the end of the line. I told her don't take this personally but if you had a family member that was dying and in another country and you needed to get them money quickly and the ONLY available place to get it is at a Bank called Banco Costa Rica in the middle of nowhere. And you get declined. What would you do? She was at a loss of words.

So my wife called gt a different rep in Spanish he told her she was declined due to the limit as well. And the guy on the phone told her its $8900 every 6 months. or 3x within 24 hours. One day later My wife went to CVS Pharmacy as instructed by the rep she spoke to the day prior. She tried there. The people were very rude with her I'm going to write a review about that also. Anyway she called MoneyGram again. They said try another country. So my wife sent money to Colombia and it worked!! But not Costa Rica. So go figure. We all have to sue Western Union were they rob you and give you money in local currency instead of USD an they exchange it at a exchange rate far worse than the official rate that financial institutions and banks have to abide by.

Original review: March 4, 2019

You are supposed to pay 12.50 € for a fast transaction (10 min service). Not fast at all, that's totally a lie. I sent money from Greece to Romania and after my friend was there to receive the money, she was told that she has to go back after 48 hours in order to receive them. I called MoneyGram to ask why is happening that after I paid for a fast transaction and not after 2 days or what transaction and they did not give me a clear answer (something about other countries regulation, nothing specific). Hopefully my friend was able to take the money after almost 67 hours. I do not recommend to anyone send money aboard with this company. They do not inform properly clients and as a result they mislead people who pay for their services. They are not trustworthy!

Original review: March 4, 2019

MoneyGram stinks all the way around. Once your account gets locked out online they even stop you from using a MoneyGram location and their customer service is not good either. They lost a good customer.

Original review: March 2, 2019

I send money home and my receiver couldn’t pick it up due to missing information but I checked myself twice and on my part I did everything right so I call to find out what was going on and talked to people the I couldn’t understand. I don’t know what they was speaking but it wasn’t English. They acted like it was my fault. I couldn’t understand them. I’m in America. Why can’t I speak to someone from America and not India or who knows. Anyway frustrating dealing with this. I went to Western Union??? and it was cheaper and better service. Don’t use Moneygram. Save yourself from a headache.

Original review: March 2, 2019

I sent money which was undelivered to a company so it was just sitting there. Moneygram NEVER notified me! Luckily I checked on it and decided to call Moneygram. I was given a receive ref# but when I went to pick it up I couldn't. The representative was rude, short and told me I cannot speak with a Supervisor because I only had one option.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I went to pick up money from my sister as was told. I couldn't pick it up and after my sister called to find out what was going on they said I was reported as fraudulent... How? Unless the ** woman at customer service profiled me from the amount I was picking up. I've never done any kind of criminal activity and that was the most belittling experience of my life.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I had originally wanted to send money abroad, but, like other reviewers here, that transfer was denied by MoneyGram (allegedly it was to protect me from internet scammers). That is, of course, their right to refuse. A the refund was issued under the new transaction number. As it turns out, the original MoneyGram agent has misspelled my first name by one letter (even though he was looking at my ID). Because of that error, the refund could not be issued to me even though I had the receipt which showed my bank card number, from which the money was drawn.

This is where the circus begins. MoneyGram has an excellent process to kick you around aimlessly. Service reps at the call centre will ask the same questions, escalate, pass you to 'specialists', and do all sorts of other "important" tasks. The most important task however - returning your money - will take as long as they need it to, if at all. The overall helplessness of call-centre staff obscene, but obviously built into the system. This is compounded by the problem that the staff do not speak English clearly, so communication is even more frustrating. I will never again use MoneyGram service, and strongly advise others to stay away from doing business with this company. They will be earning interest on your cash, while you will be losing your time, money, and mind.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I'm very disappointed with MoneyGram. After 3 days of sending money for urgent case they refused to give out the money, and when I called for refund, they said I have to wait for another 10 days for my refund, what a disappointment, and this is my fifth experience, am done with MoneyGram. They are not reliable.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

I made a transaction at the beginning of the month on the 8th of February and money was taken out of my bank account immediately. It didn't post until the 13th. That's like a whole week and till date I'm still struggling to get my transaction to go through. Been calling like every other day and I'm being told it's a technical problem. So I asked for an escalation to speak to a supervisor and got denied like wow. So on that note I called in today being the 24th of Feb. Got escalated like 5 times.

Finally got hold of an agent. She verified my info again even though all the 5 agents has done that already, very frustrating with no results. I told her my issue and she placed me on hold for about 40 mins, came back and told me, "Sorry we have a technical difficulty," with an Indian accent. So this time I got fed up and requested for a refund. All of a sudden she fixed the problem and the money is available to be received. Unbelievable. Since Feb 8. Today is the 24th. Please do not spend your money on this service. They have reps from India who has no clue on how to treat a customer and something is really shady how suddenly they have my money because I requested for a refund. WOW!!!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

On Friday February 22, 2019 my brother went in to Walmart in Hope Arkansas and sent me $1,400 to Maryland. I went to two Walmart in Maryland, the one in Hanover and Severn and they both refuse to honor the agreement - he paid the fees to send the funds, and they said they had a limit of $400 and they would not give me the money my brother paid to send me. WHAT a ** RIP OFF.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

I sent my friend a $100 Feb 15. For some reason it was rejected and cancel. No explanation. I called customer service and they told me that I have to wait 3 to 12 days to refund my money back. Why? It takes less than 3 minutes for you to take my money but 12 days to refund it back. This is crazy. I will never use MoneyGram again.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

I have used Walmart MoneyGram for four to five years to send money to my grandchildren and daughter in another state. It should be simple, right? It used to be until every person employed speaks a language other than English. They sent me an email that said all was good and the money was ready to be picked up. Then my contractor goes to the Walmart and is told, "Sorry, the sender has to call in." So, I call in. I talked to four or five different people and finally get to the "FRAUD TEAM" which is a total joke!!! I give them all the information they ask for, provide them with all the CORRECT information, and then they start asking me stupid questions, like "What is the money for?" I tell them, and they want to know if I've ever met him. "No, not personally but I'm not home. I'm in another state and he's a student of my neighbor who I've spoken to on the phone who is also at my house and overseeing the project in my absence.”

Well, guess what? They decided that's not good enough. So, they cancelled my transaction AND they closed my account. CLOSED MY ACCOUNT. So now, I can't get access to my previous transactions. So I call back. And guess what they tell me now. I have to fill out a form and PAY to get the transactions sent to me. Are you kidding me? And the best news of all, is I have to wait 3-10 DAYS to get my money back that they NEVER SENT! I figure at 3% interest for ten days just on my money, not counting all the other people they are doing this to, they are making millions in interest on OUR MONEY that they are holding hostage. SO DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE!!! THEY HAVE LOST THEIR MINDS AND I don't think these practices are even legal, if they are, contact your representative because goes way beyond fraud mitigation. I should know. I'm a retired fraud investigator!!!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

I sent money through MoneyGram and it was immediately deducted from my account. My son was not allowed to pick it up. They would not give me a reason. NOW my money is in MoneyGram's bank collecting interest for 3-10 business days before my refund. I view this as theft and will report to the Attorney General. I've never been so mad as a thieve so public.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

I well never use MoneyGram again. Every time I use it they deny it or it'll go through and then they deny it a few hours later. You try talking to them on phone and you can't understand them cause their English is poor. If you send overseas they instantly think you're involved with terrorists if it's $500.00 or more. They are a bad business to deal with. Western Union is the way to go.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

MoneyGram is not within practice of business ethics. Did a transaction on the 14th and received an email. It was a success and receiver could pick funds up. Few hours later receive another email, this one stated cancelled and refund will be issued in 3-10 business days. That is awful. This was $800 plus 89 to make the transaction. Called and was told basically they made the choice to cancel and close my account. No reason or explanation than that was that. How to treat anyone like a write off or not explain themselves is ridiculous for a business. Worse is to play around and hold someone's funds in that manner. If they can cancel on a whim then they should reimburse on a whim. Do not use MoneyGram!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I WILL NEVER USE MONEYGRAM AGAIN. This was my first time and my last time. I will take the time to give my feedback. MoneyGram is uncomfortable with my 1 and only $200 activity/transaction. I notified them that I sent my sick friend of over 30 years, money using this service. $200 measly dollars just to help him out. I received a confirmation that the money was sent. Then I get a notice of cancellation without any explanation. Upon further inquiry I was informed they were uncomfortable and not only did they not process my transfer but they deactivated my account and kept my money and it’s been 5 days. I’m uncomfortable with that!! It’s appalling.

MoneyGram expert review by ConsumerAffairs

MoneyGram was established in 1988 and took its current form in 1998, but it has a history going back to 1940 with the Travelers Express Company. It became a publically-traded company in 2004 and is headquartered in Dallas. MoneyGram offers money transfers, bill pay services, money orders and other financial services.

• Reload mobile minutes: MoneyGram’s Mobile Top-Up service lets customers add minutes to pre-paid cell phones on over 350 carriers in more 100 countries. Minutes are added almost instantly.

• Bill pay: Consumers can pay healthcare bills or make child support payments using MoneyGram. They can pay with cash, a bank account or a credit card. Interested customers can see the list of information they will need on the company’s website.

• Gift cards: Consumers can use MoneyGram to reload prepaid gift cards even when they do not have the physical card. This feature can make it easy to give gifts to someone else, and funds are usually available instantly.

• MoneyGram Plus: The MoneyGram Plus program gives members exclusive discounts. Members can also elect to receive messages as soon as the recipient has funds transferred to them.

• App: The MoneyGram app allows customers to send money to other people and pay their bill directly from their mobile device. The app is available for both Apple and Android devices. Consumers must be a part of the MoneyGram Plus program to use the app.

• Best for: MoneyGram has services to meet most consumers’ needs, including individuals, business owners and travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs