2. Finance
  3. Money Transfer

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.03/5
15% off domestic and international money transfers with code: MGEDU15
*Partner terms and conditions apply.

MoneyGram provides online and in-person money transfers, money orders and bill payments. Customers can send money domestically or internationally and choose from nearly 50 different currencies.

BOTTOM LINE

MoneyGram is one of the largest wire transfer services in the world. It lets you send and receive money, pay bills and more. The company does its best to make sure transfers are convenient, easy and safe.

PROS

• Large global availability
  • Flexible payout options
  • Fraud education resources

CONS

• Exchange rates can be poor
  • Fees can vary

Top MoneyGram Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about MoneyGram?

I changed to MoneyGram and never had any of the issues or problems that I experienced with Western Union. MoneyGram is very quick, efficient, professional and polite...I have never ever had a money transfer declined by MoneyGram.

The App is easy to use, the fees are clearly indicated based on the amount you wish to send and one gives the option to send money using your bank account or debit/credit card… I sent money to Guatemala and my cousin picked up the money with no issues.

MoneyGram Learn More

Send money internationally

If you are looking to send or receive money abroad consider TransferWise

Get started

Send money internationally

If you are looking to send or receive money abroad consider TransferWise

Get started

What is MoneyGram?

MoneyGram is one of the world’s largest money transfer providers. The company has decades of experience and a trustworthy reputation. MoneyGram has made it a goal to educate its customers on fraud and take whatever precautions it can to avoid having customers transfer money to scammers.

How does MoneyGram work?

MoneyGram lets customers send money either online or in-person. To send money online, you must first create an account. From there, select either a bank or MoneyGram agent location and choose how you want to pay.

It's also possible to set up an online transfer and later pay in-store with cash by showing a government identification. For in-person service, you can go to your closest agent location with a government ID, the receiver’s information and the money you’re sending.

If you're receiving money, the sender can transfer it to a bank account, a mobile wallet or an agent location for pickup. If the money is going to a bank account or mobile wallet, there's nothing you have to do — the funds arrive in your account once the transfer is processed.

For an in-person pickup, you need the transfer reference number and a valid government ID. You may need to fill out a receive form, but it's not always required. Money sent to a MoneyGram location will be ready in minutes, but bank account transfers take longer.

MoneyGram fees

MoneyGram aims to match its competitors' rates as closely as possible. Fees vary based on several factors, including the money's destination and the type of transfer you choose. The website offers a fee estimator for a more precise idea of the costs. Exchange rates are updated in real time, but customers have noted in reviews that these rates aren’t always as good as what some competitors offer.

MoneyGram FAQ

Where can I cash a MoneyGram money order?
There are a couple of ways to handle a money order from MoneyGram. It can be deposited into your bank account or cashed at many check-cashing businesses.
Can you receive MoneyGram online?
You can receive MoneyGram online if it's sent directly to a bank account or a mobile wallet. If this is the case, the money should be available online without you having to do anything.
Why does MoneyGram hold money?
MoneyGram doesn’t specify much when it comes to its policies on holding money. With most money transfer companies, holds depend on authorization, the amount sent, the destination and identification requirements.
How do I open a MoneyGram account?
Opening a MoneyGram account is a simple process. Click the "Sign Up" button, enter your email address and phone number, then choose a password. You'll then have to enter your legal name, your birth date and address. Finally, click the "Create Profile" button.
How do I get a refund from MoneyGram?
If you cancel your money order within 30 minutes of sending it, MoneyGram refunds the full amount. After that, you can still get a partial refund for up to 180 days, excluding fees.
Is MoneyGram better than Western Union?
Western Union has more locations than MoneyGram and is sometimes more competitively priced. The best thing to do is to compare rates to find which service offers a better value.

Is MoneyGram safe?

You should always treat money requests from unknown parties with extreme caution and never wire money to someone you don’t know. If you’re sending money to a friend or family member, however, MoneyGram is a safe option. As one of the world’s largest wire transfer sites, MoneyGram has plenty of experience and is a viable option for consumers who want to transfer funds.

MoneyGram Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MoneyGram?

Original review: July 27, 2020

I have a hair business, so I purchase my hair extensions overseas (China, Vietnam, etc). I normally use Paypal, but this particular hair factory uses MoneyGram or Western Union. I made the terrible decision to use Money Gram. Once I sent my funds, I received my reference number and an okay for the receiver to receive the funds. A few minutes later I get an email stating that “Effective immediately your MoneyGram Online profile access has been revoked and your profile has been suspended” because my profile information is fraud?

I emailed customer Service on July 24th and did not receive any response. Now it’s July 27th, the receiver cannot get the funds but MoneyGram took the amount from my bank card. I called customer service, the guy answered politely and I answered a series of questions to verify my identity. I was put on hold and once the representative returned, he was nearly yelling through the phone saying that “Your account has been alerted as fraud and you cannot ever have an account with us.” I was a bit confused to why is this happening but that goes to say I DO NOT RECOMMEND DOING BUSINESS WITH MONEY GRAM. I don’t know what they have going on but I see why their rating is so low! Just wow!

Original review: July 18, 2020

My Fiance' is an RN who's currently working front line with state to battle covid-19 and have tried several times to send me money. Every time she does, it's a bunch of running around just to receive the money. Why am I paying to have my money send and gotta be racially discriminated in the process. We both have great jobs and makes over $150,000 annually. We are not CRIMINALS and are so disappointed in the way we were treated.

Most recent incident; we transferred $2500 and was told that the location where we went to pick it up needed to contact MoneyGram. When they called, they were told the sender needed to call MoneyGram to give some more information. My Fiance' was with a covid patient and had to left that patient with another RN just to be treated like TRASH for over an hour with a bunch of questions that she answered several times to a number of reps. We've send money with a number of agencies in the past and this is by far the WORST EXPERIENCE we've dealt with. I believe it's due to the fact that we are ** and I guess ** PEOPLE aren't allowed to send or have large amount of money. I will be contacting an attorney for legal advice.

Get buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 14, 2020

I sent money to two of my friends and was told that the money will be there in few mins but it was a lie. It is almost two weeks now and the money I sent is still in the hands of Moneygram. They are cheaters. Every time I call them they tell me different reasons related to their banking system which is not my problem. I don’t know what to do. I am going to write a review in every platform so that they don’t cheat other people.

I even talk to a supervisor and he told me they are investigating why the money is not going through. They gave me 90 days. Imagine, you send a money to a friend who needs it urgently and this ** are telling me to wait 90 days. Never ever send money. I have been sending money through Western Union and it reaches within mins, the only reason I came to money gram is to see if their exchange rate which a friend recommended but I found out they are the worst. I am going to report them to BBB and I will post an update. Pls don’t be fooled. Use other options not this scammers.

Original review: July 9, 2020

Wanted to transfer $100 from US to Ukraine. As soon as I entered all my payment data and clicked next, I instantly got a message saying that "After careful review we blocked your account..." What?! So I called the hotline after being transferred around I had to answer a serious of very personal question and my relation with the subject (!!!)...guess what?! I was told that based on my answers, my account got permanently closed without any further explanation. After I asked why the guys on the phone started to get mad and started raising his voice and told me to look elsewhere because it's basically my fault - somehow. This was literary my first ever using MoneyGram, will make sure everyone knows about that scam because now I cant delete my credit card info and hotline is reading off a script...

Original review: July 8, 2020

My account was cancelled and revoked without reasons. I tried to use it another time and it is gone. Spent 1 hour chatting and calling customer service. Everything is by the book: We apologize, we understand. WHAT ARE THE REASONS, ANSWER THIS QUESTION? You provide them all your information and in return they apply some policy to cancel your account. Honestly, DON'T USE MONEY GRAM, they want to go out of business...

Original review: July 3, 2020

I purchased a Money Gram from a local bank. As it was lost in the mail I needed to cancel and request another money gram. The time on the phone was disputable. Once I connected the wrong information was provided and requested repeatedly to speak to a supervisor. Once I was allowed to speak to a supervisor, I was astonished at the completely uncaring attitude of resolving my issue with a lost money gram. The cost for replacement was exorbitant and disgraceful. This was the first and last time of using a money order system. Money Gram a license to steal and take of advantage of the most vulnerable populations. They should be investigated! Beware!

Original review: July 3, 2020

I have been sending money to my husband in Cameroon. I have sent 5 days ago some money. It can not be released. I am calling Money Gram since 11am this morning. This is 5.35pm. Can't get help. Ooh GOD.

Original review: June 27, 2020

Problem is I loaded money onto card today and I wanted to send money through MoneyGram and they blocked my account for no reason. I've never done anything wrong. I don't even have a criminal record. All I want to do is send my son some money. I can't even do that because MoneyGram said that I was scammer basically and I'm an American citizen.

Original review: June 27, 2020

Every week my husband sends money to his parents. Due to the pandemic their income (married couple living on 1 income) has diminished. Without any warning and after sending money several times my account was closed. The only explanation we received was it was due to security.

Original review: June 22, 2020

I used Moneygram for 5 plus years with ease. When I increased amount sent to Ghana, they held the last few amounts and blocked the account. Their fraud system has a lot of false positives and the company knows this but is making no attempt to resolve. They hold millions from various consumers for 10 days, accruing interest while they “wait” to refund the amount. When you call them they hide behind terms and conditions on their website. For a company this size, they shouldn’t be allowed to discriminate this much and get away with this especially while making money from people they discriminate against. Since they are not making an effort to change, and their blocks are final with no way to resolve, I believe a class action lawsuit is needed to force change.

MoneyGram Company Information