1.11/5

725 MoneyGram Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

My husband was supposed to receive a money transferred by his cousin in the US. His cousin advised him to go to MoneyGram because the money she sent is already good for receipt according to the MoneyGram agent (Walmart) in California. So my husband went to receive the money in MoneyGram agent Steinbach Manitoba. Unfortunately, the agent says that there is a transaction error and he needs to call MoneyGram to know the error. To cut story short, MoneyGram advised that the sender should go to the agent to call MoneyGram. Agent said that they didn't see any error in the transaction but after the call, MoneyGram is telling that it is a scam. Question: How could MoneyGram say that it was a scam when in fact the sender and the receiver are in contact with each other and the sender has actually confirmed that he is sending money to that person? So the sender has to refund the money and sent it to a different remittance company.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

A friend in Dubai needed 3000k for her kid's school since she was short this month. I've used MoneyGram like twice in my life before this. I try to send it online, and it gets rejected. I get a message saying I have to go to a store. I did not have time to go to a store, so I tried again a few days later with my debit card since I figured it will be easier than by bank account. Now I got a message that said my online account is closed. I called the 800 number. After 3 agents and 1 manager and about 30 minutes that included all types of invasive questions like "why are you sending this money", a rude manager gets on and starts interrogating i.e. "what type of school supplies cost this much?" etc...

He was raising his voice and everything. Not even sure if that was funny or out of line. This is my money, I've provided all info and Mr. Tough Detective with an Indian accent was not satisfied. The guy was a jerk. Totally uncalled for. He also said the amount I was sanding was too high. Their website has the limit as a higher amount. This is a joke. Only reason I used MoneyGram was because my friend asked for it. What a headache. To summarize, I tried to send money online to Dubai, they implied my transaction as well as my online account is fraudulent even after verifying my identity. Now I am banned from using MoneyGram online.

Get expert buying tips about Money Transfer and International Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I always sent money to my kids using MoneyGram. I went to make a money transfer to my family as l did when they needed help with their bills and guess what l was told l was not able to send money. I asked why and was not given an answer when l pushed for a answer and the guy snapped at me, "You're banned. You can't send money." MoneyGram does not seem to care about their customers or whether they keep them. I called three months later and same attitude and again no answers. I have never been banned from anything, and "FOR LIFE". What a crazy company with crazy business practices.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I went online to send money to my family in Jamaica. They debited my account and at the end of my transaction I got an error message “oops, something has gone wrong.” I called MoneyGram and was told my transaction was denied and that I can never send money with their company again. I asked why, when I have had an account with them for years. I was told it was policy. I asked for the reason again and was not given any plausible explanation. I think if I am being denied I should be told exactly why. I was very disappointed with MoneyGram because I had been a long time customer. Bad business practices. As a consumer, I have the right to know if there is an issue that affects me doing business with any company.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

They make the process of using routing and account number super hard, they won't approve it. And they don't give transaction or authorization number that can be used to call TeleCheck to speak to someone. And they just can't help you other than "use the card" 'cause they want you to pay double the fee so they can make money. Garbage.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MoneyGram?

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

MoneyGram online is a joke. For security reason that cannot be explained I cannot send online money. We as customers should be given the reason declined and be given the opportunity to fix the situation. An Asterisk should be placed with a note on the bottom of all your advertisements that once account gets deactivated by your company you will no longer be able to use the online MoneyGram. I am so very dissatisfied with your company and lack of respect for declining to give further information to why this happens!!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I've used MoneyGram many times before and never had an issue. Although today 09/05/2018 at 10 am I tried making a transaction to El Salvador, my card was declined twice. Yet one payment went through and MoneyGram took the money out of my card. I called customer service and I was told by one of the representatives that no money was charged by them when clearly in my bank statement says that money was charged by them. The only thing she said was, "Call your bank. Maybe they took it out of your card because you owe something." WHAAAT! Ughh. Then she said, "Your account has been marked as fraudulent so it is now closed." Believe me I would of done it myself. Never again! Of course I called my bank and I began a claim! I want and will get my money back!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I bought 3 money orders on Saturday. I filled them out and put them into the drop box for the rental agency, sometime between then and today they got lost, so I tried getting my money back and they want to charge me outrageous fees to get my money back today. I didn't lost it and the supervisor I talk to didn't want to help at all. Instead they kept telling me to go online to fill out the forms and pay the fee for all 3 money orders. They need to be dealt with because I shouldn't be held responsible for being responsible.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I sent money to Eastern Europe for my family for 17 years by MoneyGram. Last transaction were declined for security reason. WHAT SECURITY??? What did I do?? Need the answer. People I talked to was nice but very hard to understand.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

After taking the money from my verified credit card and having sent all the necessary documents, I have canceled the transaction and now I have to wait an eternity to receive the refund because they do not issue any document proving that the refund has been made. A shame... a real fraud.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

Used this service for years now. My account is randomly closed, without an explanation or reply. It makes no sense. I'm a business owner as well, if I turned a faithful customer away I'd at least have enough human decency to explain why. Not that it's required but because it's the right thing to do after I've spent my money with MONEYGRAM. Obviously they have no respect and I'm thankful you all closed my account. Their loyalty doesn't match mine. Screw them!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

I have been using MoneyGram for many years. I attempted to send 2 wire transfers. After a week of them having a problem picking money up I called and MoneyGram canceled it without even notifying me... And informed me I had to take my business elsewhere and they deactivated my account. Still no refund back to my account and no reason why I couldn’t use their services not that I ever would again.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

This racist company asked me about my political views over a £120 transaction and was told "not to take it personally". So if you're looking to be questioned like you're in a prison cell and get your time wasted, this is the one.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I really do not know why they will not do service for me. I did spend a lot of money with them and they just shut the door on me. I used Western Union but like to use both companies. I would like an answer why they just up and shut me off. It's more money for Western Union. Actually Western Union is a whole lot safer then MoneyGram. But for them to just stop servicing me and won't give me an explanation is bullcrap. I do not any longer send to Nigeria or any other Country because it is not safe. But never knew of any problems. I would just like a message back with the reason why you won't send money for me.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I put in all the information needed. It said the first credit card was no good. I put in a second credit card & the transfer never went through. Not because of my cards...no idea why, but it "times out" after less than 2 minutes. I have tried countless times to delete my credit cards & it will not let me. I have tried contacting customer service. No response there either. People do NOT use this service! It's horrible!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

My money orders were compromised. Ask them to please order stop payment. Had all necessary documentation of the purchase I made. Refused, these had not been submitted for payment. This is a scammers dream come true. Do not use MoneyGram, money orders.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

My roommate calls me because his car is broken down and he needed money for repairs. No Problem. I told him I will send it MoneyGram just like I have a million times before. I go online to sent a measly $35.00 and at the end of the transaction I get a message that there was an error and my transaction cannot be completed. Yet MoneyGram still took the money was taken from my account. So now not only is my roommate still stranded but I don't even have the money to send to him by another means. I called and was told that my transaction was declined by MoneyGram, no reason given and it will take up to 72 hours for the money to be returned to my account. This is completely unacceptable and I will never be using this service again. I also intend to let as many people as I can know that MoneyGram cannot be trusted.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

MoneyGram is nothing but a big waste of time, really!!! What's the sense of you people? You're the biggest frauds in all of this, what's the sense of letting people send their hard earn money to their love ones if you decide to reject the transaction in the first place and then you take forever to give the sender back their money, I will never use your services ever again, the hold team is a bunch of dog ** , y'all need to pack all your selves up in a garbage truck and throw the hold thing away.

Kmt my son's birthday is in a few days and his aunt and my husband tried to send me money leading to his party and they told me I was rejected and when I called their stupid ** customer service they couldn't give me a legitimate reason why I was rejected and yet my husband still has not received his money back in over 2 weeks now, y'all can kiss ours ** because Western Union saved the day. I'm done with this service and I highly advice you all to do the same. They're a big waste of time.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

MoneyGram gladly took the money out of my account only to tell me they couldn’t verify me... But you my money in minutes and now you have some foreigner calmly tell me I have to wait 3-10 business days to get my refund when it only took you 2 seconds to take my money for a money in minutes service which you did not provide nor did you provide a reason for the decline. CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT?? I want them to pay!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I have been using Western Union to send money to my wife in China and had been having problems, so she suggested I try MoneyGram. This morning I opened an account with MoneyGram. The account was opened, I logged in, then logged out again. Thirty minutes later I logged in and initiated a money transfer, paying with my debit card. It completed successfully, and the transaction status indicated that it was waiting for approval. I then logged out of my account again. Ten minutes later I received an email from MoneyGram saying that they were unable to complete my transaction and that I should try the transaction at a local agent, the nearest of which is a 20 minute drive from my home. I attempted to log in to my account to see what the reason was, and got a page which displayed an "account error" message.

I called their customer support number. The agent I spoke with took my name and email address, they told me that their "system" had decided that I was not "trustworthy." He told me that it is an automated process that makes that decision, and that he is not allowed to provide any details or reason for the decision. He said there is no appealing this decision, I could not try to open an account again, and would never be allowed to send money through MoneyGram. I quoted the email I had received mentioning using the local agent and he told me that was not allowed either because MoneyGram's "system" had decided I was "untrustworthy." His suggestion was that I find another way to send money. I asked to speak with his supervisor and he hung up on me.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

MoneyGram Refuses to send a Transfer -- A Foreign person (Very Poor English) says MoneyGram has determined it's not safe. I've sent money to this person many times. Now MoneyGram has decided it's no longer safe to sent money to this person and when I try to get an answer from Money Gram they only read a document and never give me an answer. When I request to speak to a Supervisor they Refuses to connect me with a Knowledgeable person. They will finally after a very long wait connect me to a Foreign person that reads from the same document then they will hang up on me for no reason. This is a very unprofessional Money Transfer Company, I would not recommend this Company to anyone. If anyone uses Walmart's Money Gram to send money in the end they will be sorry.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

What a joke. MoneyGram has no customer service and whatever you do don't send money in an emergency. Every time I tried online transaction denied and they wouldn't say why. They said to go to a MoneyGram shop. "Sorry closed now until Monday!" Not good enough. Ended up using Western Union instead. That is the way to go!!! Western Union all the way. Tried to send money to my son that was robbed and had no ID they wouldn't let me even use a special passcode for him to pick it up. Joke joke joke. They would have preferred me to give them a name of a stranger instead of giving a special code. Does that sound like security? I don't think so.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I have used MoneyGram before, when I went to sign into my account after verification I could not sign in and I spoke with an agent and they claimed my account was closed due to security reasons??? What the hell? Wouldn't even give me reason as to why. Crazy!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

My wife tried to send money to her nephew. When he went to pick it up they refused and told him my wife would have to call them. The number they gave her nephew connected only to recorded messages and my wife was unable to talk to anyone. She had to go back to the Jewel/Osco where she purchased the MoneyGram, and they gave her another number to call. She spent 45 minutes on the phone with some moron who was asking her questions about the relationship with her nephew and what major highways are close to our house. Nonsense. She identified herself, provided her address, gave the transaction ID and anything else is none of their business.

I tried calling their customer service line myself, twice. The first time the accent (Indian or Pakistani) was so strong I could not understand what he was saying. I called back, got another heavily accented (but, thankfully, intelligible) representative who would not give me any information despite the fact that I had the transaction receipt. I made several dozen requests to speak to a supervisor or to be given the phone number of a supervisor that I could call at a later date... They refused. I would not do business with MoneyGram again... Waste of time and very aggravating.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

You should steer away from MoneyGram and I am seriously, stay away! We have had nothing but problems with sending money with MoneyGram. They should really be renamed to MoneySCAM! I am not kidding either. We have tried to send money back around April 2018 and failed. The money was supposed to be received in Jamaica at an outlet run by LASCO in Jamaica. My wife's niece went to three different locations to no avail. They refused to hand over the money. Called the sender (me) a scammer and would not hand over the cash despite I paid in cash on my end.

I ended up having to file for a refund and got my money back. Later, LASCO called and was apologetic. Said they don't know why I was refused. They said it won't happen again. Well, It is now Aug 2018 and here we are again. Another failed attempt. Although this time it is different. MoneyGram refuses to refund the service fee of $15 because they are accusing me of wanting to change delivery services for the money. Um, first of all, the outlets that MoneyGram uses in Jamaica have once again refused to hand over the money for a 2nd time. It is the same problem as the first. Only difference, on the first, MoneyGram gave me back all the money including the service fee. So what is different now?

I am a customer. I send money through your service MoneyGram. I paid you $15 to send money and you could not deliver while my mother in law and father in law starve and are in need of medical finances. If anything happens to them because you refused to deliver, I will take you to court and sue you for as much as I can. That I can promise you! I will never use your service again because I am the one that got scammed of $15 service fee for a service I never received.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

IT'S HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE AND PRIVACY BREACH!!! I want to make an official complaint about inappropriate and insulting behavior of MoneyGram employees. I transferred money from USA to Belarus on July 27, 2018. Days later on August 1st my mom couldn't get them because some additional verification was required from my side. I called around 2-3 am on August 2nd to see what was the problem, verified my name and address, was given phone # for my mom to call and verify some info too. It's already contradicting here (WE BOTH WERE TOLD DIFFERENT THINGS - I was told she was a problem, she was told that I was).

On my questions what kind of verification you might need from my elderly mother MoneyGram representative did not give me a straight answer hiding behind general not informative phrases. I called my mother and gave her the right number to call for verification. MONEYGRAM representative in the bank of receiving location gave her wrong phone number. She called and was told that I had to call again. NO NOTES WERE SENT ABOUT ME ALREADY SPEAKING TO SOMEONE! I called 2nd time. And was told that my mom had to call or go to receiving location. My mom went 2nd time to the receiving location. Then it started!!!

Agent from location called first verifying my mom's name and address. Then MONEYGRAM representative on the phone line asked to speak with my mother. And here the questions she was asked: - Why am I sending her money?!? (It's not your business, it's mine and you could ask me that but you didn't because you wouldn't get an answer!!!) - How much am I planning to send her money in the future?!? (It's not your business but you could ask me not my mother!!! See answer above!) - Whats my work title?!? (It's not your business and you don't have this info about me, then why did you ask my mother?!?) Crossing lines here?!?

- How many years I have been working on one job and h-o-w m-u-c-h I -w-a-s making a year?!? (It’s not your business and you never asked me about that information. So how are you planning on verifying this??? Or you are crossing a line here too??? - How many years I didn't see my mother leaving in different country?!? (It’s not your business and it’s inappropriate question which you never asked me about!!! They pushed my mother to illegally ask questions they have no right to ask!!! She was told she was not going to get money unless they verify everything. They even asked what purpose she needed money for. They on purpose didn't reveal any of the questions when I asked!!!

I was with WESTERN UNION for years and never had to go through a fraction of this hassle for me and my loved ones. I will leave a public feedback everywhere I can only find with details so people know how inappropriate nosy THEY are and how THEY do business. Me and my mom are still shocked and embarrassed by inappropriate and insulting questions from MONEYGRAM. My mom is 60+ woman with a heart attack in the past and other health problems in the present. Did she really need to go through this? Or they collect info for a different purpose which is not said out loud? I also sent email to customer service twice - no respond! I spoke to a supervisor who told me that I should sent email instead of taking to them directly. I’ve asked about feedback after conversation they dropped me twice. 1 star for them is too much. They deserve less than 0.

Original review: July 31, 2018

If I could give zero stars I would. My sister-in-law and her husband were stuck in Nashville due to their car breaking down, and I sent a money transfer through MoneyGram. They charge the money off my account, but then sent me an email stating the transaction was canceled. When I finally got through to a representative, she said that the reason was that MoneyGram was not “comfortable” with my transaction. When I asked her to tell me what she meant by that, she said there were no further explanations. She said that MoneyGram would no longer be an option for me, which is fine, because they the transaction was canceled.

When I finally got through to a representative, she said that the reason was that money gram was not “comfortable“ with my transaction. When I asked her to tell me what she meant by that, she said there were no further explanations. She said that MoneyGram would no longer be an option for me, which is fine, because they SUCK!! And guess what? I have to wait 3-10 business days for my refund!!! **!

Original review: July 31, 2018

A tenant tried to send her rent ($650) via MoneyGram. The clerk questioned her for several minutes asking her who she was sending money to and why she was sending it and if this could be a scam and was she sure this wasn't a scam she was sending money for. MoneyGram finally accepted the cash and gave her a receipt with the transaction number to give to me. I went to Walmart to collect the money and the transaction had been flagged and I was told the only person who could pick up the money was the sender. Walmart associate couldn't tell me why I couldn't pick up the money and neither could the manager. We called RIA and they refused to tell me why only the sender could get the money. After being on hold with complaints department for over 30 minutes I finally hung up.

The sender called RIA and after 41 minutes of being on hold she was told the transaction was cancelled because of possible fraud and that she would have to pick the money back up from Walmart. She said they ask her what our relationship was and why was she sending me this money and that she would be the only one that could get the money. She had to leave work and go back to Walmart and wait in another line and pick up the money. She then took it to Western Union at Krogers and sent it to me with no problems. It cost $10 more but a thirty minute process ended up being almost 4 hours with all of the wait time and extra travel time.

I will NEVER try to use MoneyGram or Walmart to Walmart or any other money service at Walmart again. Who the Hell do they think they are asking all of these questions??? What business is it of theirs what our relationship is? Trying to prevent fraud? If she or I was a victim of fraud that would be our fault and none of their damn business!

Original review: July 30, 2018

Purchased 2 money orders 1000.00 a piece, husband is working out of town in Washington, 1 was cashed, the other one rejected and said to call number. Called and they kept saying wrong amount! Husband sent photo of money order, I had stun receipt that matched and I also had the receipt from Walmart with matching numbers! They keep telling me to go back to agent which is Walmart! Manager was on the phone with 10 different people and they sent her to fraud dept! They told her the money order was only showing $7.35. She checked Walmart register and kept telling them info is in front of me and she purchased 2 money orders at 9 something in the morning, everything matches and my customer wants her money! Purchased on 7/20/2018. Still waiting on answer, Manager has all info and she’s going to call me when she hears from them. They said will contact us in 3 hrs but it’s passed that! Now someone stole this money! I need answers.

Original review: July 30, 2018

No need to repeat what almost all others have said about this company - it's possibly the worst-functioning larger USA-based company I have ever tried to do business with. You might have a few successful transfers with them, but no doubt you'll hit a wall soon. The "wall" is an insurmountable obstruction created by company processes that simply do not solve problems, and MoneyGram has many problems at many levels. These problems become your problems, and I guarantee you'll decide to find other ways to move money after one or two failures by MoneyGram. There are other options, depending on where you are transferring funds. Western Union is slightly better in my experience, but certainly not functional even 50% of the time. Try Paysend - they provide services in many countries, and are much faster/cheaper and far more functional than the 2 mentioned.

MoneyGram expert review by ConsumerAffairs

MoneyGram was established in 1988 and took its current form in 1998, but it has a history going back to 1940 with the Travelers Express Company. It became a publically-traded company in 2004 and is headquartered in Dallas. MoneyGram offers money transfers, bill pay services, money orders and other financial services.

• Reload mobile minutes: MoneyGram’s Mobile Top-Up service lets customers add minutes to pre-paid cell phones on over 350 carriers in more 100 countries. Minutes are added almost instantly.

• Bill pay: Consumers can pay healthcare bills or make child support payments using MoneyGram. They can pay with cash, a bank account or a credit card. Interested customers can see the list of information they will need on the company’s website.

• Gift cards: Consumers can use MoneyGram to reload prepaid gift cards even when they do not have the physical card. This feature can make it easy to give gifts to someone else, and funds are usually available instantly.

• MoneyGram Plus: The MoneyGram Plus program gives members exclusive discounts. Members can also elect to receive messages as soon as the recipient has funds transferred to them.

• App: The MoneyGram app allows customers to send money to other people and pay their bill directly from their mobile device. The app is available for both Apple and Android devices. Consumers must be a part of the MoneyGram Plus program to use the app.

• Best for: MoneyGram has services to meet most consumers’ needs, including individuals, business owners and travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs