1.12/5
Based on 197 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

692 MoneyGram Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 21, 2018

I tried to send wires to business associates in Ghana. MoneyGram blocked my wires. They ask absolutely ridiculous security questions. Is it my fault another is stupid enough to send money to anyone they don't know? Am I to pay for another's stupidity? It is my business what I do with my money and MoneyGram doesn't have the right to discriminate. There are no laws against sending money to Ghana. Then I write to corporate and of course I get the sweet talk but nothing changes. Oh it's Ghana's fault.

Then they say my account online is unblocked and to wait a week. So I wait a week and try to send money to Ghana and there goes my account blocked again. When is someone going to do something about these stupid security procedures that hurt innocent people in need? Anyway, MoneyGram you are a horrible wire service. How would your company like to be blocked from making money on wires? You wouldn't. So next time you block a wire think who you may be starving or causing a loss of home to. The federal government needs to get involved in your discriminatory practices.

Original review: July 20, 2018

I made my first MoneyGram transfer to a relative in Italy. No problem. Then I made a MoneyGram transfer to a relative in Colombia. It was not "approved". They gave me a number to call. I called and jumped through all their security hoops, sign away my first-born, blah blah blah... They said "ok, all set." Next thing I know my cousin texts me. No money. I call MoneyGram again - which is a painful process in itself - complete PITA. They tell me my wire request was declined and they are not required to tell me why. I asked for a manager so they "escalate" it (because there are no managers).

I get yet *another* person who speaks really bad English AND doesn't give a damn (they may as well say "sorry, not sorry"), and he says they don't really care that I passed all the security checks and I should have read their POLICY which states they aren't obligated to do ** for their customers, pretty much. Then he says "well it looks like no money has been taken out of your sender account, but if it was, it will take at least 12 business days for that money to show back up in your acct." Then he pretty much says it's over. "We will not send your money to this person." WORST customer service EVER.

At this point I am livid and mention "my attorney" if they touch my bank acct (haha) and that's that. I check my bank account and no debit from MoneyGram. THE NEXT DAY I check my bank acct again, and whaddya know! MoneyGram debited the 585 dollars from my account! (including the extra 5-dollar fee for the wire!) I go back to the MoneyGram website hoping for a miracle: "maybe upon further review they DID honor my wire request! :) Nope! "Transaction Cancelled!!" And THEN they still took my money. So now my family in Colombia has no way to pay the hospital fees for my interned sister, AND I'm out $585!!! MoneyGram is the WORST!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 16, 2018

Sent 2 money orders thru MoneyGram, bought at CVS. Both of them were from Metro Detroit, Michigan to Lansing, MI. Receipt says they're based in Minneapolis, but when you are to call, as I see everyone else on here is saying, they're in some 3rd world country whose first language is not English. Mailed these a month ago, finally found where online to track. Put in the 10-digit money order #, it says this is not a valid #. What? Looking right at receipt. Try again, and again, 3rd try it tells me "This item requires further research; please fill out this form for submission. NOTE: If the money order has not been cashed, submitting the form will initiate a request for replacement."

What does this even mean? I'm tracking to see if is cashed, and it requires further research? For what? Someone in New Delhi is going to research my MI to MI money order? That makes no sense. Each day when I try to track these, BOTH of them show up as not a valid money order. After trying several times, it gives me the message about researching who knows what. Researching this company, it says based in Dallas, run by W. Alex Holmes.

MoneyGram has scammed you? Here are some suggestions. Corporate address: Moneygram Corporate Headquarters 2828 N Harwood St Dallas, TX 75201. Make a complaint of all of your facts, such as they stole your money, won't issue a refund, etc. and make the complaint with the TX Attorney General, make an identical complaint to the Attorney General of the state you purchased/transferred/did business with MoneyGram. They are not BBB-accredited, make a complaint against them there anyway, Dallas, TX location. If your transaction was online, report this to the FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3), this can be done online.

File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission, online form, FTC Complaint. File another with National Consumers League's Fraud Center, available online. File another with Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), also online. If it was between the US and any other country, make a complaint with eConsumer.gov. Google these, you can also call them. Anything involving you mailing to/from the US and anywhere else, complain to U.S. Postal Inspection Service.

If you used a credit card with the Visa, MasterCard, Discover or AmEx logo, you can do a Chargeback. If it was a debit card, you can still do a Chargeback, just know it is with your bank. Don't tell these people WHY you need this money order, your DOB, where you met them, medical conditions, everyone you know's address, your SS#, DL#, and all of these other things. Scammers in 3rd world countries, just because they work for MoneyGram, doesn't mean they're not still stealing your info. Better yet, don't use MoneyGram all. I'm still wondering where my 2 money orders they need to research further are at.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I never ever want to deal with this poorly ran company ever again. I have never been so fed up with anyone until these guys. DO NOT USE MONEYGRAM or you will regret it like I did. So fed up with these guys it’s insane.

Original review: July 12, 2018

Good luck with MoneyGram. Even when send and recipient fall within monthly limits they look for any excuse to block and will give a generic response like “suspicious activity”. What I think is they use held money to collect interest and take their sweet time returning it. Much like insurance companies hold money until it needs to be disbursed. Will go as far as to say MoneyGram is CORRUPT, UNRELIABLE, FRAUDULENT. THERE IS A REASON THEIR RATING IS ONE STAR. Should be negative stars.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MoneyGram?

Original review: July 12, 2018

I have been using MoneyGram for five years. 90% of the money I send goes to Romania. My wife is Romanian and I send money to my mother in law and on occasion to a few friends I know there. In May my wife was visiting Germany and I sent her some money. God help you if you get the names reversed. In Romania they use family names first. I called MoneyGram to just reverse the names so she could pick up the money. They said, “No problem.” Instead they returned the money to me and denied me using their services again. They call this suspicious activity.

I always use a MoneyGram store because I have tried to do this online but I was blocked also. They asked me many questions...gave me a list of names I had never heard of. Finally there was a name I knew. The man who married my ex-wife. This man and myself are on great terms. We ride motorcycles together and myself and my wife have eaten at their home. But for sure I don't know his BIRTHDAY, and because I did not know this date I was declined. I use Western Union now but it is a mystery how they choose who is not welcome to use their services.

Original review: July 12, 2018

Have been using Walmart for years to send money. Went today to send money. They now have MoneyGram which they say they have had all along. I started to send cash $300. Filled out information. Gave it to the guy and he actually asked me for my driver's license so he could photocopy it. Apparently you can't send money anymore without providing your photo driver's license.

I told him I would give him my address and phone number and he insisted on my driver's license number. Really! When I asked him why he said it was for identification purposes. No you don't need a driver's license number. For what? To put me on a mailing list or call list or email list for Walmart and other companies. This is total invasion of privacy. I'm giving you money, paying your fees and you want my driver's license number? What!!! Are you crazy. This is totally unjustified and an invasion of people's privacy. Is MoneyGram working for the feds? Come on. This company does not need this information to wire money to someone. This needs to be reviewed by the public and the government.

Original review: July 10, 2018

Without any explanation MoneyGram didn't give the money that I transferred to my family. The customer service keep saying the something like a machine. They are not supportive at all. I will never deal with this company again.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I sent my friend $50.00 today which is not a lot of money and when she went to pick it up she was told it was rejected. I called customer service and of course I got some NON English talking idiots who basically could not tell me why it was rejected. I politely told the IDIOT to Kiss my ** And hung up the phone. I will never ever use MoneyGram sorry excuse for a company again.

Original review: July 9, 2018

I purchased a money order and after I made it out realized it was for wrong amount. I didn't know I couldn't so I whited out and put my name on the PAY TO line. No one will cash it because of the limited recourse statement. I have the money order signed by me and purchased by me, I have the receipt from the money order and I have the receipt that shows I purchased it. Walmart will not refund it, my bank will not deposit it and yes it is only for $15.00 but MoneyGram is making me pay $7.50 to give me a new one. Oh my stars, they are making a lot of money from people who make mistakes. Mine was dealing with MoneyGram.

Original review: July 8, 2018

This is the most intrusive unhelpful unprofessional service I've ever experienced. Their staff are so unprofessional it's an insult that they are still in business. Not only they did not provide the service I paid for but they wasted my time, provided no information or answers to any question asked. I will report this service anywhere possible.

Original review: July 7, 2018

As everyone else I was sending money to my fiancee. I called, verified all the answers without no problems. I guess telling the truth is not what works. I was rejected for a stupid reason and when I spoke to the supervisor Amari a foreigner she told she do not care what I have to say it was rejected and there is nothing she can do. I know better than that. I understand they have a job to do but when a person is being honest and is able to provide additional information then it needs to be overridden. I used MoneyGram before without any problems but since I was sending to Jamaica I guess that is a problem. Very disappointed in the service I received. Planned to use them again but I will not.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I sent 40.00 to a friend in need, her ID was expired so I cancelled the transfer, all within a 45 minute window. How is it 4 weeks later, I am still waiting for my refund, minus your 6.50 fee, of course. 2 weeks ago, I called your helpless line to speak to George from India, Zimbabwe, Madagascar, wherever, just to be told MoneyGram issued my refund already, and I had to ask my bank to figure it out. LIES! My bank never got my refund so I call again. Now I have to email a formal statement requesting my refund?!?!!? What a buncha crapola and I will NEVER EVER use them again. I will tell anyone who will listen to never use their services. I wonder how long it will take for them to refund me at this point? Who knows. It would be really nice if you could speak to an English person because it was extremely difficult to understand every rep I spoke to.

Original review: July 4, 2018

I had an emergency and need to send money. I called my bank to make sure funds are available and that it is safe to use. They said yes to all and connected me directly with MoneyGram. Not one person was in the United States. I did get Nicaragua and New Delhi and other 3rd world countries with absolutely no help at all. Do not use this service. They are not only terrible at customer service and satisfaction they are also discriminate and will not answer any direct questions. DO NOT USE MONEYGRAM! WESTERN UNION happily assisted me. But MoneyGram did nothing but cause problems and create issues where none existed.

Original review: July 1, 2018

I sent my daughter money to purchase a used car to replace her car that Geico "totalled" after an accident. My bank approved the amount (I used my debit card). The money was actually hers but she doesn't have a check acct. So we deposited Geico check into my acct. When she tried to receive money, it was denied. I had to call. Reason for denial: "We are not comfortable as per Federal Regulations". I was FURIOUS. Then Walmart refunded cash instead of my debit card. $3000 plus $36 transaction fee. Now I have to make a third trip out to redeposit into my bank. Ridiculous and confusing. Both Moneygram people spoke bad English... only added to my frustration!

Original review: June 29, 2018

I have been a MoneyGram consumer for a few years. I was especially sold when they started allowing online transaction to Morocco, The rate was good, convenient and also FREE. So, I made a few dozen transactions online without problems, until this week when my wife and my kids are taking a trip to Morocco and I tried to deposit the money online like I usually do, but it won't just go through without and I won't even state a clear reason. I called their HELPLESS Line, and had me do backflips and what not at no avail, I waited 24 hours to reset the system, still nothing, I asked to speak with a supervisor after I told the second agent I spoke with that I was not ready to jump through the same hoops of fire as I did the night before. Surprise surprise, MoneyGram doesn't have a supervisor nor a manager on their call centers, but they have "Ready? Brace for Impact!" Escalating department... Wuut Wuut!!!

Well, I am glad I called that Department, now I know why it is called Escalating, because in a few seconds the conversation escalated very very quickly than I expected, for the reasons I will quote below: The Agent was asking for the reason why I want to send the money, I politely told him that "it is not MoneyGram's Business to know what I am doing with my hard earned money", when he insisted to know, I again asked him politely "if I was asked that question that nobody ever asked me before because my name is Ahmed"... He was not really happy, and I did not care but I was offended too. He then told me that it is MoneyGram's Policy to reject any transactions without any apparent reason, only then I came back to my sense and realised what was happening (I will explain later).

Both their web page and all the agents I spoke with were referring me to go to a location. I again told him politely "my sarcasm has no limits tonight" that I know where their locations are, and if I wanted to go to any of them I would have done it myself." So, this is what is happening guys: MoneyGram does not want you to send money online from your bank account anymore because it is free, they are forcing us to go to their useless locations so they can milk us out of the fees they promised us to be free on their site in the first place... That is just low class fraud, which I will be reporting to Consumer Protection, and My State's Department of Banking. Please note, I just used MoneyGram on March and kept the same information for the unfortunate transactions. Also, and most Importantly, I was successful with my transaction through their competitor on my first try.

Original review: June 29, 2018

I sent myself money as my emergency money for my supposedly travel for London, but since the travel did not push thru, I tried to refund it, when I was trying to get my money back, they told me the money was received already!!! By WHO, WHY AND WHEN was not disclosed!!! That is P115t!!! That is not easy money?! I worked hard for it!! After 3 months of their investigation, they simply told me that the case was CLOSED and that their investigation turned that the transaction was legit?!! Then who the hell claimed my money?!! WHERE IS THE SECURITY IN YOUR COMPANY! GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK!

Original review: June 27, 2018

I tried to send money to my aunt who required help with medical procedure. MoneyGram sent me on a wild goose chase and ask me to visit local agent for identification. After a long phone conversation with them and transfers from one person to another, eventually I spoke to someone who asked what the money transfer was for. I explained that it was for my aunt and for medical. He wanted to know what is the medical condition. I told him that he is being intrusive and it was none of his business. He demanded to know and I told him to cancel the transaction because I had enough of their stupidity. What right do they have to intrude in this manner? This is the lousiest and shoddiest company that I have ever dealt with. AVOID!

Original review: June 25, 2018

I’ve had an account with MoneyGram for a couple of years. Today I try to send $50 locally to a person I send money to on a regular basis. It’s blocked and I’m told I can’t send more than 3 MoneyGram in a 24 hour period. Never heard of that. I complain. They say there is nothing they can do. I have a 6000 monthly limit and it shows I have 3800 remaining. Can’t hardly understand the broken English and they can’t provide someone who speaks good English. I need to go elsewhere with my business.

Original review: June 23, 2018

So I try to set up a profile on their website. They want to verify ID so I proceed to upload my ID. They now have to review it. I wait the 30 minutes. They were not able to capture the image of my ID. So I try again. This happened 8 times. Then I log in and they say I can't set up an account online; I have to go into the store. I go into the store and they won't let me send money there EITHER. I call customer support -- in Nicaragua!! They are useless. There is nothing they can do. NOTHING THEY CAN DO. No IT support, no manager to review why my identification can't go through. WTF!!! THEY SUCK!!!

Original review: June 22, 2018

Tried to send money and got denied by the stupid foreign pieces of crap. They would not tell me why I cannot send money and now they froze my account. Stupid scam artists and crappy company run by a bunch of dumb idiots.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I recently joined MoneyGram to send 211$ to a contractor in Mexico. I figured it would be easier than going, in person, to send the funds. After sending confirmation to our recipient, MoneyGram canceled the transaction and kept the money pending a refund (to arrive 3 to 10 days) later. This has tied up my checking account with funds that are no longer available and I can’t use another service to pay. They had no explanation and refused to honor the transaction. Stay far away from this scam of a company. Total scam.

Original review: June 19, 2018

Our client from the US sent us money for payment of the tropical fish he purchased, around $2,000. MoneyGram stole the money! According to MoneyGram, the money was withdrawn from an affiliate branch of theirs here in the Philippines - we tried to ask for more information but they shut us down. They said that the sender needs to get the information from them so we asked our client to do so.

All MoneyGram said was the person who claimed the money filled out a receive form and presented an ID and MoneyGram closed the case!! They are not responding to any questions or emails for more information on the fraudulent individual which makes me suspect that it was an inside job! MoneyGram is a thief and we are left with a lost capital of $2,000 (over Php 100,000) with no one to help get us our money back!!

Original review: June 18, 2018

Moneygram uses Telecheck to processes checks. My first transaction was declined because they "were unable to verify my checking account information", even though the account info was 100% correct. Moneygram told me to call Telecheck, which sent me through a vortex of options inapplicable to my situation. After 30 minutes, I found a rep through the fraud department who transferred me to someone who spoke difficult-to-understand, broken English. After relating my problem, the rep instructed me to "try again in 7 days" and hung up on me. I won't try again and I won't be doing business with Moneygram or Telecheck in the future.

Original review: June 17, 2018

I was trying to send money to my sister $44 for my daughter to get some food, because I’m miles away and I always use MoneyGram for years and I notice the money was taken out my account but MoneyGram didn’t denied the transaction and they couldn’t give me no reason to why I couldn’t use them anymore. I feel hurt the fact that there’s no reason why I can’t used them especially if I didn’t commit fraud or being fraud. They taken my money and now I have to wait 15 days to get it back. They can’t give me no merchandise and authorization number. That’s ** completely like I’ll never recommend anyone to used them. Just use Walmart to Walmart. So much easy. MoneyGram is fraud itself. Easy to take my money and I have to wait for I get it back.

Original review: June 15, 2018

Recently, I requested a money transfer through Moneygram, that was declined due to the financial institution I use for my banking, so I canceled the transaction. I was initially told the funds would be returned into my account in a few business days, which upon further inquiry, a few business days was actually about a three week period. There is no excuse for holding a customer's money that length of time. I will no longer be using this slimy organization for any purpose, and recommend others do the same.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I made 2 money transfers today to 2 friends, both got denied due to the location they were being sent to. My friend for one of the transfers sat at the pick up area for over 2 hours while I sat on hold for almost 2 hours to speak to an out of the country call center to verify my identity and who I was sending money to. I was asked why I was sending money, birthdates of the people I was sending the money to, what they needed the money for, if I was sending money for someone other than myself, I answered most of the questions but I wasn't giving out birthdates. Oh they asked what jobs my friends worked, was not giving them that info either.

So after 2 hours of waiting and then being put on hold again, I was told that my transfers were denied due to many complaints of money being lost when sent to those areas. I was pretty mad, especially since my friend needed that money in a hurry to keep from losing her electricity and her car. They need to post a list of problem areas on the website so we don't waste our time using their services. Now I am told that it could be up to 10 days before I see this money put back into my account. Nice! By then my friend will without power and the repo man will be at her door. Seriously! Any of you interested in a class action to force MoneyGram to be more proactive with a posting specifically warning about certain areas so we don't waste our time. I would have used a different service if I had known that. Never had an issue anytime before today and have used MoneyGram for years. I am just livid right now.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I was sending a MoneyGram through Walmart and received an 1-888 call who needed verification. After I answered several verification questions, i.e. who was I sending money to, I was asked "what is she (my daughter) using the money for?" and the birth date of my ex husband and my son's birthdate; I provided the year (reluctantly) and told them it was not necessary that I provide the month and day. With that, the man hung up the phone, and declined my order. I tried to log back on and was declined. I called to speak to a supervisor, was kept on hold 12 minutes, again asked what my daughter was using the money for and how long had it been since I saw her! This time, I answered both questions and she said I was declined and needed to go to the store. Instead, I used Western Union and was done in 2 minutes. Who are these foreigners at MoneyGram?

Original review: June 11, 2018

I supposed to received a money, my sender sent through account deposit. When I check after a day he sent, the money was not yet on my account. The bank teller says that the money was through cash pick and I need to fill up the form, when I submitted the form bank teller told me that my sender need to contact MoneyGram. My sender went to the agent where he sent the money, they called MoneyGram and MoneyGram says that receiver need to call them for more information. I called MoneyGram representative now 3 times. In each of representative gave me different info.

1st: They said the name of sender I gave was different. 2nd: I told them that it’s the right name even on the receipt. After that he said the fund will be available in 5mins. (I checked my account. Fund was not there, I checked directly to the bank. The bank representative told me I couldn’t get from them and they told me to check in Cebuana and M Lhuillier, I told to the bank representative that the money supposed to be goes directly to my account but unfortunately even they couldn’t answer my question. 3rd call: MoneyGram representative says that the money is not available for me and my sender need to call them again!!!

It’s been 1 week waiting for this transaction. Me and my sender was so disappointed because the money is for urgent. How come MoneyGram couldn’t help us as fast as it should be. How many time we need to call? How many times we need to spend a money to buy a prepaid load just to keep on updating and to follow up the transaction. We provide all the information you need. For MoneyGram representative, please be informative and knowledgeable for all the information you giving to us. For MoneyGram agent, please make sure you put the right spellings or numbers... AND MONEYGRAM PLEASE LET OUR MONEY BACK INSTEAD TO THE MY SENDER RATHER THAN KEEP ON HOLDING IT FOR MORE THAN A WEEK.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I was purchasing a puppy from someone and was sending her the money on MoneyGram. I had already picked up the puppy so there should not have been any problems. When I sent the money I waited a few hours and was told by the person I sent the money to that it didn't come though, because I gave her the wrong ref number. So I gave it to her again, still did not go through. This time they told her that they need to talk to me to verify who I was. This made no sense because I showed my drivers lic. when I purchased it.

So I went to Walmart and they called MoneyGram. They asked me a ton of questions, like how did I know this person, where did I meet this person, what was the money for, when did I meet this person, what exactly was I purchasing, after all of this I told them I really felt that this was none of their business, they put me on hold then came back and said they did not feel comfortable with the transaction and cancelled it, then gave me back my money. I can understand be cautious but this was really crazy. I would never use this company again.

MoneyGram expert review by ConsumerAffairs

MoneyGram was established in 1988 and took its current form in 1998, but it has a history going back to 1940 with the Travelers Express Company. It became a publically-traded company in 2004 and is headquartered in Dallas. MoneyGram offers money transfers, bill pay services, money orders and other financial services.

• Reload mobile minutes: MoneyGram’s Mobile Top-Up service lets customers add minutes to pre-paid cell phones on over 350 carriers in more 100 countries. Minutes are added almost instantly.

• Bill pay: Consumers can pay healthcare bills or make child support payments using MoneyGram. They can pay with cash, a bank account or a credit card. Interested customers can see the list of information they will need on the company’s website.

• Gift cards: Consumers can use MoneyGram to reload prepaid gift cards even when they do not have the physical card. This feature can make it easy to give gifts to someone else, and funds are usually available instantly.

• MoneyGram Plus: The MoneyGram Plus program gives members exclusive discounts. Members can also elect to receive messages as soon as the recipient has funds transferred to them.

• App: The MoneyGram app allows customers to send money to other people and pay their bill directly from their mobile device. The app is available for both Apple and Android devices. Consumers must be a part of the MoneyGram Plus program to use the app.

• Best for: MoneyGram has services to meet most consumers’ needs, including individuals, business owners and travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs