2.63/5

973 MoneyGram Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 15, 2019

Unfortunately I do not have a great experience with MoneyGram. They shut down my account before I could even try to use it, and will not explain why. They also refuse to delete my personal information. And according to their own rules they do not follow EU GDPR. Be careful of uploading any ID papers to MoneyGram, you might not be able to delete them again.

Original review: July 14, 2019

Terrible and unreliable company to do business with. Their website locks accounts without any reason and strangely I encounter an error every time I try to log in. It does not let you make a new account either for a fresh start. I contacted customer service and was told I can never use my account or create any new account online and must come in person to make the transaction. The most inconsistent, rude, and useless company and customer service I have spoken to in my life. I will be using Western Union from now on who stands behind their business.

Get expert buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 14, 2019

I tried to send money and my account was closed for no reason. I have excellent credit, over 800 FICO score and thousands of dollars in my bank accounts. When I signed on to my account and processed a transaction to send money they closed the account for no apparent reason. When I tried to talk to someone about it they would give me no reason and would not let me talk to their online security to get the account active again. They also shut down any attempt by me to activate a second account with a new email address. Horrible way to treat someone who has done nothing to deserve this kind of treatment.

Original review: July 11, 2019

Sent $1500 to my cousin in the States. She attempted to collect the money and was told there is an error. I called Moneygram to address the issue and was asked an array of personal questions about my family. After being on hold for almost 15 minutes, I was told they do not trust my transaction and provided me with a refund code. One day later and I am trying to collect my money only for the agent to tell me there was an error message and the code did not work. Called back moneygram to see what was happening only for them to tell me I had somehow received my money. Not sure where this money went because it was not in my bank account. I was told I had to wait 2 business days for them to investigate further. At this point I have no idea what will become of my money. It's simply lost in thin air. I DO NOT RECOMMEND this company at all. Customer service barely understands what you communicate to them and are not helpful.

Original review: July 11, 2019

I send money to my family using my online account, I received a text: "Your transaction has been approved and it is processing. This takes 3-4 business days. We'll notify you when it's finished and ready." After 4 business days it was still processing - no messages or any feedbacks from them and I needed this money to be picked up right away. So I called them and the assistant is telling me that he just cancelled my transaction and they are gonna do the refund for 3 to 10 business days and after that I am gonna be able to send my money FROM THE STORE but I am not gonna be able to use my ONLINE ACCOUNT anymore and I have to close my account.

I have never got the answer why they disabled my account. What did I do wrong? The answer is nothing. I have not done anything wrong!! The dude's English was even worse than mine :). I was and I am still very frustrated and angry because THAT'S NOT FAIR. It is unprofessional and irresponsible. I work 6 days a week, 8-7 hours a day and I need to do it online and they are telling me that the only day off I have I need to go to the store and send money from there. It's happening here in USA in 21st century, isn't it un**believable? There is 0 person who will take responsibility about their bad work and the worst web/mobile application. I wish them bankruptcy so they can never be able to make people feel this much anger and unhappiness!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MoneyGram?

Original review: July 10, 2019

I Needed to get $650 to a friend in trouble. The advertisement said they could send money anywhere "fast". Nowhere on the website does it really say how long they take but they lead you to assume it's online and it's fast. Only after the transaction is complete are they upfront with the fact that it will take 3-4 business days to process. I Placed the order on the 4th, a Thursday (holiday), money was taken on Monday and was not available to the recipient until late Wednesday. In a world where transactions happen in milliseconds, I would expect better service. I could have sent a check by mail and it would have gotten there faster; they are deceptive and unreasonably slow! Their customer service is rude and condescending. They are unable or unwilling to help and can only recite how many days it will take. In the end, my money was tied up for 3 full days and it arrive too late to help my friend. I cannot recommend them. I will never use MoneyGram again!

Original review: July 5, 2019

I chose MoneyGram because they stated on their site cash could be received within 1-2 minutes using a debit card. My son was out of state traveling - had lost his credit card and needed cash for food and gas to get the remaining 10 hours home. I attempted twice to send money- received error messages- only to find out they had taken the money- twice- from my bank account- but due to technical web issues could not process the transaction. So my money was on hold but my son could not get the cash. Every time I called in I was told to call back in ONE hour. He sat in a parking lot for 4 hours and still the money had not come through. We finally got funds another way and got him on the road. I was then told I would not receive a refund nor could we chose to pick up the money in another state (like the state we live in). As of this writing, the site is still down- 5 hours after I had attempted this- so I will try to get my refund.

Original review: July 4, 2019

Yesterday I was trying to send some money to my mother via MoneyGram. 1) I had to create an account and the Website was giving me errors, after contacting the customer support I had to change the browser and finally created an account. 2) During the process of transferring money it was giving errors again, and after trying three times I gave up. Because, money didn't go through. 3) I've had to contact my bank and I was told that bank approved the transaction but the MoneyGram returned the money. 4) So I contacted the MoneyGram via phone and I was told that the MoneyGram closed the account and I won't be able to use the service anymore (Never) and didn't explain anything. I asked to talk to a supervisor, which was bad idea. That person was telling me that my Bank is lying to me and it was because of them. I didn't get why my bank which is in USA would lie to me because of such a small amount of money.

The supervisor couldn't answer to any question other than saying that the system blocked me and they can't say why. By the way suggested to go to a website, and through the service write a complain and ask for the reasons. 5) Today I got an email from MoneyGram which says, "To maintain the security of your profile, we are unable to discuss the specifics of your account or transactions via email. Please call MoneyGram Online at 1-800-922-7146 and follow the appropriate prompts to address any questions or concerns you may have. Our representatives are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week." So if they don't answer when I call and say to email, then when I email they don't answer and say to call, doesn't it sound like an oxymoron to you. I would never suggest to anyone to use MoneyGram. Absolutely unprofessional customer service.

Original review: June 30, 2019

I tried to send money to my brother-in-law and I find out they canceled my money order. I contact support and they tell me that it was something I was doing supposedly illegal which wasn't. I honestly don't know who's running that place but my brother might end up being fired because he cannot get to work to due to a flat tire. Now I got to wait 3 to 10 business days for my money to return to my PNC Bank which is legal by the way. MoneyGram go ** yourself.

Original review: June 30, 2019

After getting my account locked out for some odd reason (had not exceed transactional or monthly limits), I was able to create a new account, but after MoneyGram was offline for more than 5 hours, I attempted to send monies abroad and now MoneyGram has decided it will not accept PayPal Debit Cards (which used to work perfectly fine in the past). Really sick of the inconsistency from this company... Done.

Original review: June 28, 2019

This company steals money. I paid for $4000 to be paid out as $4000 in Jordan, to my friend there. I run a non-profit so every dollar is important. I paid for the service at a Walmart in New York. The MoneyGram agent in Jordan handed over Jordan dinar to my friend. They did this at a worse exchange rate. So I lost another $100 on top of the $80 fees. When I followed up they gave me the run around.

Original review: June 26, 2019

This company is horrible. I regret using their services. They like to take your money... But keep these receipts with reference numbers like gold, because should your transaction go wrong and you need a refund, you'll experience real hell. The customer service is really dumb and speaks poor English. Even through an agent they say they can't do anything unless you provide this number, or go to the original store, and what if it has closed? You can see transactions online, exact dates, sums, recipients, you have your picture ID... You still can't get your money!!! And guess what, you can request transaction history, but they charge YOU for $25-50 for it! That's the worst customer service I have ever seen. Avoid them. You have been warned.

Original review: June 26, 2019

There is always something going wrong with this company and they fail terribly with customer service. I normally send my wife money in Ghana and from day one they will allow you to send but when the receiver picks up it's a problem.. It is a waste of time and money dealing with this company. Trust me I prefer Western Union even though it cost more.

Original review: June 23, 2019

Utter Failure. They canceled my transfer and account, no explanation given, told me to use another company. Now I see why Western Union is expensive. Because it works. Keep away from MoneyGram at all costs.

Original review: June 22, 2019

If you value your time and money, never use this company. They take your money and you can not complain. You call a number and the attendants are in another country. They get their money and ready simple as well. Please do not ever use this company.

Original review: June 21, 2019

I had used MoneyGram once about 6 years ago or so and that was to send money to a recipient in the U.S. No problems in either sending the money or in their receiving it. I have not even logged onto the site since. Today, I attempted to log in to send money to my wife who is away on business and was greeted with an error message immediately after entering my login information. I contacted their support through live chat and was told security had put a lock on my account and said I should use a different money transfer company. No further explanation was given. Really? This is how they treat their customers? I would not use this service again if they paid me. They're not even worth a one star rating.

Original review: June 20, 2019

I have used this company on multiple occasions, in order to send money and charitable donations to my loved ones in Honduras and the United States. Usually there are no difficulties. Yesterday, for no adequately explained reason, my transaction was cancelled and my recipient was unable to retrieve the funds. I contacted Customer Services, only to be told that MoneyGram were ‘not comfortable’ with processing the transaction. The money has still not been refunded to my account. We have been made to feel as if we have done something wrong. No explanation for the transaction refusal has been given. My loved one is now in a very difficult situation and I am worried sick about it.

Original review: June 19, 2019

My son needed 50 dollars. I told him I would send it MoneyGram. Never had a problem before. Same ID. Same person. Now I was told they didnt feel comfortable sending the money. Really. Who does that. Had a friend try and send me money. It got rejected. Told the same thing. They didn't feel comfortable and some consumer bs. I will never ever use MoneyGram again. Poor customer service and no one knows what they are talking about. Don't use them. They are just trying to take your money.

Original review: June 17, 2019

This service is FRAUDULENT and a SCAM. They tie up your money for days collecting interest and neither transfer it or refund it. Their customer service is a JOKE! I'll be filing federal complaint today.

Original review: June 16, 2019

Moneygram is on a whole new level of stupid. They stopped my money because they wanted to know how I knew the person?? Who in the heck do they think they are to inquire about my personal relationship with someone I'm sending money to!!? Whether it's my gay lover, childhood friend, ex girl, or my ** that stuff is none of your business!!! Now I see why all the horrible reviews. Once was enough for me. I'll stick with Western Union and never have my privacy invaded again!! So embarrassed!

Original review: June 14, 2019

I was sending $300 to Thailand online. The transaction was successful, but 40 minutes later, they sent an e-mail that the transaction was cancelled. I called customer service. They said they could not give me a reason for this, other than it was determined by the security department to protect me. I told them that I know the receiver and was willing to take the risk. He was unwilling to give me any info and said I would not be able to ever use MG again---neither online or in the office. And that they can hold my money for 3-10 business days.

From reading other reviews, it seems that after you make x number of transactions, whether large or small, the account can be shut down. I make very few transfers, but my last one was in April 2019 to a different country. My plan is to dispute the credit card charge before they can take my money. I have also filed a complaint with the FTC (consumerfinance.org). They will contact the company and get back to me. I encourage everyone to file a complaint so that businesses can't operate in this way.

Original review: June 13, 2019

My other half was working in North Dakota and lost his wallet. He needed money to take the train home. I sent everything I had to spare ($500.00) to his coworker to give to him. About three hours after I had send it online, I received an email that my transaction had been cancelled. I checked my bank account and the money had been taken out. I called MoneyGram to see what the issue was and they said that at any point they have a right to cancel a transaction. I asked where my money was and they told me that the money was never taken and to call my bank, it was on their end. I called my bank and they said the money was taken out and hasn't been authorized to be placed back, it was on MoneyGram's end to send it.

I called MoneyGram back and told them it was on their end. My bank didn't have the ok to replace the 500 I was now out. After two days of back and forth between my bank and MoneyGram, I still haven't gotten my $500.00 and my other half had to borrow from a coworker to get home. I called MoneyGram for the 5th time this morning wanting to know where my money was. Was finally told that it could take 3 to 5 days for my money to be sent back to my bank. WTF. When people use this method it's usually because the money is needed somewhere asap and the fact that my money wasn't returned immediately after they cancelled my transaction, prevented me from being able to send it another way. Three days and still no money returned. NEVER using them again.

Original review: June 12, 2019

I used MoneyGram 2 times in my life, once I sent $200 to a friend whose wife passed away young to help with funeral expenses and once I sent $375 to my future wife to help with bills and so on, today was my 3rd lifetime attempt to send 300$ to my fiancé. Same person I sent last time and my transaction got decline and I got an email stating that my account is closed forever, no reason given. There are million other ways I can send few hundred bucks to family or friend, MoneyGram is the worst I ever experienced. Will tell everyone I know not to even consider using them ever.

Original review: June 12, 2019

I just sent over $1200 to a family member overseas through MoneyGram, they provided me with an authorization # and the money was taken from my account.but when my cousin went to a location to pick up the cash they told him that’s an invalid reference #. I called the MoneyGram customer service and tried to see what’s the deal of taking my money from my banking account and not have the reference #. They told that I have to wait 3 to 4 business days for someone to pick up the money even though the money was taken from me. All this looks to me like a scam. Even the customer service representative sounded just like those Indian scammers with an English name.

Original review: June 11, 2019

I had to cancel and redo my transaction TWICE due to needing to change minor things on the name of the recipient. NOWHERE did it specify what was need (I had to add "III" to the end of the name), but was told it was in the agreement (tiny print that I couldn't find the second or third time). Customer service was NOT helpful at all. The first time that I called, the person was very rude. The second time that I called, they hung up when they went to transfer me. I will NOT be using them again! DO NOT RECOMMEND!

Original review: June 11, 2019

Wanted to send money to the States, got right to the end and it says, "We are reviewing your transaction for security reasons." Really seriously. Then get an email saying, "Unfortunately we cannot process your transaction." No reason whatsoever. Crap company.

Original review: June 9, 2019

I had my account permanently blocked from trying to send my fiancée money in Ukraine. I have her passport photo, pictures of her, her mother, and I all together and evidence of taking vacations together. But none of that matters, because the fraud system flagged my transaction to "protect the consumer". I would understand a temporary ban, with the ability to send in documentation to verify everything.

I had just moved her and her family into a better apartment, and as a result, they almost became homeless as they can't afford it on their own. MoneyGram is "protecting me" into now needing to pay for an apartment outright, because the love of my life is now terrified to leave her family to come to America in an apartment they can't afford without assistance and uncertainty of money transferring. I feel that I am being discriminated against on the basis of sex and will be suing them. They just see that I am a man dating a foreign woman and assume that I am being scammed.

Original review: June 8, 2019

They are unprofessional and unknowledgeable, a bunch of damn idiots. They need to close the company if their business is to send money, but they are denying the process. Flagging transactions and canceling for no apparent reason, really puts the sender and receiver in an inconvenienced situation. Do not use MoneyGram.

Original review: June 4, 2019

I wish I’d read these reviews earlier. Tried to send $60 to a friend in the Philippines. Everything showed it was available for pickup. Nobody contacted me that there was a problem. But my friend couldn’t get the money because there was an “error”. I spoke to customer service and the supervisor who said:

1. I should have read the terms and conditions better.
2. MoneyGram security was “uncomfortable” with the transfer and cancelled it but could not give me any reason.
3. I should keep trying to send it, but it would probably get rejected again.
4. I would be refunded my money, probably in 5-10 business days but they can’t guarantee it.

5. I should be more professional with them.

Ummm... what?!? Is this company for real? Is this not what this company does? I’ve read so many reviews of people with the same problem. I can’t believe anyone still falls for their crap. I, obviously, will never use them again. Either a bunch of idiots or some huge scam.

Original review: June 2, 2019

Don’t ever use express pay EVER. I sent $121.00 to Verizon for my phone bill. The liars at MoneyGram said payment sent 3 days ago when I sent it. Verizon has not received my payment and MoneyGram refuses to refund my money. I hope you all burn in hell. Don’t use MoneyGram for anything. They are a joke and they steal your money.

MoneyGram expert review by ConsumerAffairs

MoneyGram was established in 1988 and took its current form in 1998, but it has a history going back to 1940 with the Travelers Express Company. It became a publically-traded company in 2004 and is headquartered in Dallas. MoneyGram offers money transfers, bill pay services, money orders and other financial services.

• Reload mobile minutes: MoneyGram’s Mobile Top-Up service lets customers add minutes to pre-paid cell phones on over 350 carriers in more 100 countries. Minutes are added almost instantly.

• Bill pay: Consumers can pay healthcare bills or make child support payments using MoneyGram. They can pay with cash, a bank account or a credit card. Interested customers can see the list of information they will need on the company’s website.

• Gift cards: Consumers can use MoneyGram to reload prepaid gift cards even when they do not have the physical card. This feature can make it easy to give gifts to someone else, and funds are usually available instantly.

• MoneyGram Plus: The MoneyGram Plus program gives members exclusive discounts. Members can also elect to receive messages as soon as the recipient has funds transferred to them.

• App: The MoneyGram app allows customers to send money to other people and pay their bill directly from their mobile device. The app is available for both Apple and Android devices. Consumers must be a part of the MoneyGram Plus program to use the app.

• Best for: MoneyGram has services to meet most consumers’ needs, including individuals, business owners and travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs