MoneyGram

Compare Money Transfer and International Money Transfer Services

I was trying to send a small amount overseas and it gets declined because of 'security reasons'. And when you call them up, they tell you no other information at all. How are these guys still in business?

WOW I NEVER would have imagined how many times this company has been SUED BY THE GOVERNMENT for ILLEGAL practices. Right up to JAN 2016 13 MILLION DOLLARS. Just Google it!!! UNBELIEVABLE, that this company is, still ALLOWED to do business in the USA!?! I wanted to purchase a phone from a lady. We agreed that it was too far to drive so she would overnight the phone me via Fedex and AFTER I received the phone I would THEN GIVE HER THE REF. NUMBER so she could go get the money. She was to send me the FedEx tracking info within a couple minutes of me doing the moneygram as she was at Fedex waiting.

I called MoneyGram on Jan 2, 2017 to confirm that UNTIL I GAVE HER the reference number that the money COULD NOT be picked up. They confirmed that was correct. I even ASKED them about A REFUND to ME if the transaction fell thru (and I did not receive my phone) to plan ahead and make sure I could get my money back from Money Gram. I also called Walmart PRIOR because that is where I was completing it and they also confirmed this and confirmed that the process of a refund was relatively simple if I needed to do that.

Long story short I realized within about 20 min of sending the MoneyGram that something wasn't right because I never heard from or could contact the person that I was buying the phone from. I called Walmart IMMEDIATELY as I was driving. They said that I had to be there in person I was back within about an hour to cancel it. They checked and it had already been cashed. I ask how is this possible they have NO INFORMATION. They were dumbfounded. Walmart call Moneygram. Then they put me on the phone with money gram. I told them that was IMPOSSIBLE since I never GAVE the recipient the ref number. They asked if the recipient had my name, address I had to have them ship my phone and the amount was obvious since it was their price.

Not to mention all of this is right on the MoneyGram that can be hacked if you know how (I was also informed that this may have been an inside deal since it happened so QUICKLY). They told me that if the recipient claims that they LOST the ref number and gives them my (SENDERS) name and amount that it was for MONEYGRAM takes it upon themselves to go ahead and release the ref number WITHOUT ANY CONTACT TO THE SENDER WHATSOEVER!! And that it was MY FAULT for giving them my info in the first place. I told them that all anyone needs is a name and general location and it takes a matter of seconds to go on the net and get ANYONE'S FULL ADDRESS they could have gotten it VERY easily even if I didn't give it out.

I am holding Moneygram FULLY responsible for my loss of the 400 due to their negligence, deception, unauthorized distribution of private information (You're telling me that if I have someone's name, address, account number that I can walk into their bank and say I'm here to pick up 400 for them and they would just say "OK? I DON'T THINK SO"). They should in NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM NEVER be allowed to give out the sender's information. ESPECIALLY with the way scams are these days. Hence that is WHY there is a ref number that the SENDER has to provide to the RECIPIENT in order for them to get the money. If it is lost (THE RECIPIENT) should HAVE TO CONTACT the SENDER and the SENDER should be given it again. I was told that this was a SECURE way to do this and that the money COULD NOT be accessed WITHOUT the ref number.

If I would have EVER been informed in ANY WAY shape or form that this was not the case and that they leak UNAUTHORIZED information I NEVER would have even considered this. There is NOWHERE on the paperwork that I received that indicated ANYTHING different than what I was told or any reference to anything THAT MAY BE DIFFERENT than what I was told. It is ludicrous that a company thinks that they even have a legal right to do what they did. They are a very shady, irresponsible, deceptive company and need to be held accountable for their lack of security and fraudulent actions that cost me a lot of money time and hassle this happen. I feel that it isn't as much about the scam as THE FACT that Moneygram ALLOWED/ACTUALLY MADE this happen.

Also on a SNEAKY note as I'm sure you all have realized, they outsource their calls to a OVERSEAS CALL CENTER with people that are VERY hard to understand. Walmart and I both had to ask, them to repeat what THEY said NUMEROUS TIMES, because they are SO HARD to understand. I FIRMLY BELIEVE that they do this on purpose to avoid your ability to COMPLETELY understand what they say AND OR HOPE you get disgusted and just hang up on them which is what I was forced to do.

I'm a Project Manager at Quality Drywall, Inc. and could not send money to my business partner. After talking to Customer Service they told me they did not felt comfortable with my transactions. This be the last time I ever send money thru MoneyGram.

I did online transfer to my nephew. Got an email asking me to call to continue the transaction. 18664509897, I called. Was asking so many personal questions and never ending, so I gave up, canceled the transaction. Was afraid that all the information are stolen. The rep. spoke in very low voice. Worst service ever!

I attempted to send money online for the first time and received an error and a number to call. Upon placing the call I'm placed on hold for 30 minutes between 2 reps, only to be told I can't send money online!! Meanwhile, they have a record of my attempt and all my personal bank and SSN information! How is this ok? No valid reason except that I need to complete the transaction in person! So what happens to my personal information or their database? This is unethical and a smells more fraudulent than anything! Take your business elsewhere, if you can!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MoneyGram?

The worst company ever. So, so, so disappointed. I am using MoneyGram for about 4 years and as I am very busy person I decided to try their online service, but somehow it was denying my transaction. I called listed number 18009227146 and guy named Omar asked me my full name, my email address and my last 4 digit of SSN. And he said that I cannot send any money online as he could not find me in public records. I was so confused. Why he asked my full info and what system he used that it showed no records of me? And he spoke to me like I was scammer or something like that.

How on earth company that I used so many, many times cannot find my info from their system. When I go to Walmart and CBS and try to send money they always have my account. This guy Omar telling me that there is no public records and that I am not approved to transfer online. Now I cannot trust this company anymore and I am afraid that I gave my full info to that Omar. He btw spoke English barely which for me sounded fishy. Do not trust this company!

Terrible company. I was basically interrogated on the phone, in attempt to send my child money. Just get an email later stating my transaction has been canceled. When I called to find out why the Rep from India tried to say I wasn't whom I claim to be... mind you these people have all of my info. I don't feel comfortable w/ this, why have online options if you are going to give people a hard time. l will stick to Western Union.

Wow. First of all I just wanted to change the state my friend was picking up money. They transferred me 4 times! 4! Asked me very old questions about my ex husband... and the age of his sister. Where do they get their questions? Only to tell me my transaction has been cancelled. And Serious attitude problems like 'my' English was bad. I know I answered most of them right but they just kept going and going! Freaking ridiculous. What an inconvenience. Will Never deal with these people again... Even the supervisor was rude... if it was even a supervisor. So very disappointed in this customer service. They don't even speak good English!

I've tried three times now to send money - not huge amounts, a few hundred dollars - with MoneyGram, and every time, I am asked for my passport information, social security number, an extra check with my bank, and every time I still must call and explain to them what I'm sending money for (are these my parents?), confirm more information, answer personal questions from rude customer service reps, and then am told that "security just doesn't feel comfortable with this transaction" with no explanation. It's worth the extra money to use WU or...literally anything else. Just not Moneygram, ever.

What's worse is that there is no way to close your account or even remove your name and email from it, so all of this personal data sits waiting for someone to breach their database and steal my identity. I hope they go out of business, which, if the reviews here are any indication, they likely will soon because they're not even processing half the transactions they could be.

Very strange company. I used online for years and then I got locked for no reason. I refused to send in my ID and went to store location for few years. Today I submitted my Walmart bank account and a military ID with just a picture and name. A hour later they granted me access to online. I went online, set up my contacts and the system asked me to change my password after I was already logged in. I changed it then the system locked me out. I called MG and they said I can never use the online feature again. Strange company. I feel like they just stole my info. I will try western union or another company. Once I find a new company I will never use these scammers again. This company make me feel unsafe.

Had my dad send me some money from the UK, MoneyGram's website said I could pick up from local post office in 10 mins...went there, post office explained they could only provide money they had in the till (???) which was a quarter of the total amount sent. So tried the only other post office with MoneyGram I could find. 25 mins drive away, same thing, no money. This money was urgent, the only thing the pair office could do is give me a MoneyGram check which takes 5 days to clear!!

If I would have know that I would have just transferred the money for free via banks instead of paying $80 for an instant service! Why is MoneyGram claiming to have a service it cannot provide? If post offices do not hold the cash MoneyGram should not be saying they can distribute the cash from these outlets. I am now left with no money! Called MoneyGram today to talk to a rep that seemed to find the situation amusing and didn't even log my complaint as I haven't even received the email she said I would to say they are investigating!

I paid 50$ for records of transactions. The company is such a joke. I'm waiting 4 weeks now and the last couple of days have been talking to their reps. Can't get the matter resolved. One of the supervisors also gave me an extension to call him but that extension doesn't exist. Don't ever use them. Go to Western Union instead.

I used MoneyGram many times to send money from Canada to my family in Russia. This time I sent USD500 to my sister and for whatever reason MoneyGram withheld it. My sister was there in person trying to collect the money. She presented her ID, the reference number, the amount, the sender's name - she had everything one needs to receive the money. Yet she was denied with no explanation offered. When I called MoneyGram here, the agent started asking me questions like what was the relation between me and the receiver and what was my reason for sending the money. After that she told me my sister can now receive the money. So my sister had to come back the next day again and collect the money.

When I questioned MoneyGram as to why the money was withheld and why I had to answer those questions, the customer service reps just kept saying this was for the security of the transaction. I was trying to understand what triggered this security check by MoneyGram so that next time I know what to expect but customer service didn't seem to understand my questions or be able to provide any specific answers. They just kept calling me "ma'am" and repeating it was for security reasons. And by the way, customer service is a third party not MoneyGram who just wasted my time. I'm still in the dark as to why I had to tell MoneyGram what my relationship was to the receiver and what was the reason I was sending them money. As far as I'm concerned it's none of their business.

Was scammed through this service. $135 stolen from me through this service, and it's completely MoneyGram's fault. I responded to a CraigsList ad and was told to process payment through MoneyGram. I called MoneyGram beforehand. I was told that the receiving party could not access my money unless they had the reference number. THOUGHT my money would be safe then. I went through with the transaction. Got an email a bit later telling me my money had been received. Called customer service to let them know I hadn't given out my reference number. (The receiver "can't" receive money unless they provide the reference code.) I WAS TOLD THAT THEY COULD ACCESS MY MONEY WITHOUT THE REFERENCE CODE IF THEY HAD "RELATIVE" INFORMATION.

I talked to 3 supervisors, they kept blowing me off, and eventually was told that "people have their ways of finding out reference numbers". (Like really?) So since they had already picked up my money, MoneyGram wouldn't refund anything, and I was told by the head honcho that I won't see anything from MoneyGram, ever. Why does this matter? Because MoneyGram acts like it a secure transaction, but in reality, it's pretty dang easy to get taken advantage of through MoneyGram. Complete scam. Worthless company only out to scam people. Oh and have fun talking to all the "English speakers" on the phone. You literally aren't going anywhere with these people.

Very disappointed and angry! My parents have sent money a few times using this service, with success. This time sending birthday money. I went to the machine as normal only to be told I have the wrong details, so contacted my parents who contacted MoneyGram and ta da all sorted. Went the next day to be told again wrong details! Have now spoken with 4 different people whom I am finding very difficult to understand, saying there is nothing they can do and keep apologizing grrrrrrrrr! It's a fault at the sender's end apparently to which my parents (the senders) are told it's all been sorted. 1 week later and I still have no money to give my daughter. I do not recommend this service and will use my bank in future. Never mind the transaction fee.

I have been using MoneyGram for years without too many problems until recently when they have gone right down the toilet. My transactions are always denied until I call a toll free number in South America and reach someone I can barely understand who asks me all sorts of personal questions such as: Age, DOB, Address, e-mail, Phone number, are you married? How long have you been married? How did you meet your wife? Why are you sending her money? How long have you known her? etc...(most of which is none of their business!) then they decline my transfer. When I ask to speak to a supervisor or manager they laugh and say that there is none there for me to speak to. UNBELIEVABLE! Do yourselves a favor and just use TransferWise, it is much cheaper and your receiver will get a much better exchange rate on the other end. SCREW MONEYGRAM! Ripoff cheesy company at best!!

Greetings: Be forewarned again. WalMart is the center of this attack. David ** from Paid survey 104 is gathering information for participants to mystery shop MoneyGram Transfer Services. It will come to you priority mail and it will be an official check. This one was for $3950. My instructions were simple enough: take $400 dollars for myself, spend $50 within the store, use two MoneyGrams totaling $50 then to send two money transfers each for $1,700 and send them to Larnaca, Larnaca In the country Cyprus. Well I had never heard of this place before in my life. I had looked up the bank, and it existed but I couldn't verified anything beyond that point. So if you get any mail that reads similar to this, don't fall victim to this. They are popular scams.

Tried to send $100 via MoneyGram to a relative. Filled out all requested information. Request was denied by my bank which thought the request might be a scam. Confirmed with bank to process the transaction. Returned to MoneyGram. Filled out all requested information AGAIN. Request was denied by MoneyGram - no reason given. MoneyGram suggested I apply again (third time) at a store and not online. The customer service is poor, the online application is not user friendly, MoneyGram requests too much personal and confidential information from the customer and, after meeting their demands, they have the audacity to refuse service without an explanation.

Moneygram gave us the worst experience ever!! They got me and my husband so furious! My husband who is in the US sent me money thru moneygram here in UAE and they cancelled it after they have withdrawn the money from my husband's account! And they could only refund it for 3-10 business days! I had to travel all the way to the exchange and to my dismay it was cancelled!

My husband called their customer hotline and nobody can give us an explanation why!!! All they said was freaking SORRY!! And no reason!! He called again the hotline and he was passed on to different people!! How stupid is that?! First off! If they have any problem with sending the money, they shouldn't accept the transaction from the start and not deduct the money from our account and leave it for refund for frigging business days! That money was supposed to be for a payment scheduled today to the bank and now we have to suffer Moneygram's disastrous service!!! Very Very disappointing!! I wouldn't even recommend Moneygram to my colleagues and friends AT ALL!!! I think they're using people's money first only to return it back after 10 business days!

They are not on duty at all. After they get the money from someone they don't care about the person who receive the money. Their machine is not working on all store. I was trying to get my money for more than 4 hours. Still I couldn't get my money.

Had to change the name of the person that I was sending money to only to find myself calling moneygram more than several times only to find that there was no chance of me getting my money back. On the initial transaction, they got the spelling on my name wrong requiring me to call them and start the whole thing over again. There's is no chance I will ever use MoneyGram ever again and do not recommend them. I'm also on several social media in which I will also post my experience with moneygram.

Today I am very upset and crying because Moneygram incorrectly processed my money order refund and I am out $1600. I reported lost and I gave them three money order serial numbers. They informed to fill out the Walmart claim card. They send one claim card without informing me that I needed three claim cards. I put all three numbers on the claim card, I checked back with Moneygram the same day and they informed they are processing all three Moneygrams. When I received one refunded check in the mail with no explanation on why they did not submit the two, I gave them a call and they blamed me for not doing the claim information correctly and they did not bother to cancel the other two even though I submitted receipts.

I wasted all my day to send money online to my cousin. She keep going to the bank and they're telling her the fund is not available. I called my bank they said "no money is being withdraw from your account." I had to call the MoneyGram again to cancel the transaction. They keep transferring me, putting me on hold and at the end hang up on me. Not once, not twice, sooo many time. I was so tired and frustrated I started banging my head on the wall. I am going after them to sue them.

I lost a money at Walmart stores. It had not been filled out in any way. I requested a replacement money order from MoneyGram and they did send it, BUT by the time I received a reply for a $25 lost money order, I only got $7. I thought they would send me another money order. Not so they $25 + $18. MoneyGram is taking money from consumers. Not good practices. The customer is losing too much. Lost Money order# **. The money order with the balance of $7. WHERES IS REST OF MY MONEY???

Never again. Not only do they charge a lot but it took 45 minutes to get an email from them with code and then it didn't work. After an hour 4 phone calls to idiots I gave up. Last time was better but still took me an hour to do it. I'm done with walmart.

I sent money through MoneyGram, and this money is not so much to cause any issue. MoneyGram refused to make the money available to the receiver. It's been over a month now and I keep calling them for my refund but they tell me different story all the time. I have been using Western Union for a long time to send money to my parent. I only used MoneyGram because someone told me it's cheaper than Western Union, the difference is just $5. Had I known that MoneyGram is a scam I would have paid the extra $5 to Western Union for peace of mind. NEVER USE MONEYGRAM FOR ANY REASON!

This is a HORRIBLE HORRIBLE company. Don't even waste one minute of your time trying to use their services. I was attempting to pay a bill using their services as I needed the money to get to the company immediately. I created an account and was using my husband's credit card to pay the bill. I thought the payment went through until I received an email stating that I needed to contact MoneyGram.

When I called them they accused me of stealing my husband's identity because I used my email to set up the account with his credit card. Mind you my husband was sitting 10 inches from me AND I even put him on the phone with MoneyGram to ensure them it was not identify theft. They argued left and right with me and told me I could never use their services again. I even asked to speak to a supervisor who barely spoke a lick of English and was incredibly belittling to me. They are a scam. I would never recommend using them. I used Western Union instead and had zero issues!

I'm a soldier in Afghanistan and tried to send money home and email not work properly so I entered alternate email and started over. Well these people call me criminal and lock account and say I must visit a location. I say if I could visit location that I no need MoneyGram.

Tried to send money to my daughter and they rejected it twice then said that I can never use MoneyGram again. They would tell me why and closed my account. This company is a rip-off. I would not suggest that someone use MoneyGram. Why does this company even exist when they can't even do their job. This is so upsetting, I am trying to help my daughter who needs it and this horrible place cannot send money. They should shut this place down. They have no business being open when they do not work.

I sent an online MoneyGram to a friend in San Antonio, TX. When the individual went to receive the money he called me and stated I needed to call MoneyGram, I called, and I appeared to be speaking to someone overseas. They began asking me very personal question, after I inform them that the transaction was authorized by myself. I began to get uncomfortable with the question concerning my personal information, and asked them to just refund the money to my card.

I called today which it has been 5 days since the transaction to inquire about the refund. I was unsuccessful in communicating with the rep due to me not being able to understand the person. I asked to be transferred to someone in the US. But the representative just hung up the phone. If MoneyGram was unable to complete the transaction for any reason they should have immediately refund the money, but it does not make any sense for them to interfere with a $200 transaction made in the United States, to another US citizen.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

MoneyGram was established in 1988 and took its current form in 1998, but it has a history going back to 1940 with the Travelers Express Company. It became a publically-traded company in 2004 and is headquartered in Dallas. MoneyGram offers money transfers, bill pay services, money orders and other financial services.

• Reload mobile minutes: MoneyGram’s Mobile Top-Up service lets customers add minutes to pre-paid cell phones on over 350 carriers in more 100 countries. Minutes are added almost instantly.
  • Bill pay: Consumers can pay healthcare bills or make child support payments using MoneyGram. They can pay with cash, a bank account or a credit card. Interested customers can see the list of information they will need on the company’s website.
  • Gift cards: Consumers can use MoneyGram to reload prepaid gift cards even when they do not have the physical card. This feature can make it easy to give gifts to someone else, and funds are usually available instantly.
  • MoneyGram Plus: The MoneyGram Plus program gives members exclusive discounts. Members can also elect to receive messages as soon as the recipient has funds transferred to them.
  • App: The MoneyGram app allows customers to send money to other people and pay their bill directly from their mobile device. The app is available for both Apple and Android devices. Consumers must be a part of the MoneyGram Plus program to use the app.
  • Best for MoneyGram has services to meet most consumers’ needs, including individuals, business owners and travelers.

Compare Money Transfer and International Money Transfer