1.14/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution
Find a recommended auto loan provider now
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 24, 2017

108 Wells Fargo Auto Loans Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I traded in a car financed with Wells Fargo in September 2017. They gave the dealership a 10 day pay off price. The dealership sent the pay off and the bank sent the dealership the title. I log on to my account and it shows a balance due. Multiple phone calls later with extremely rude customer service persons and supervisors they finally send me to the office of the President. Total waste of time and a joke! Two weeks later the same result with late fees attached a negative reporting on my credit. Just because I traded in my vehicle.

I have never had this problem before and I'm 51 years old and purchased multiple vehicles over my life. Wells Fargo Dealer Services is the worst finance company I have ever dealt with by a long shot. I never write reviews but I had to warn people and maybe save someone else from financing with this company. I personally will never do business with Wells Fargo Dealer Services again. Total scam from the beginning with rude and bullying employees.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

So first off, this bank is horrible, they don't know anything other than hire con artist... our relations started bad from the gate. A few months after I purchased my car which was financed by Wells Fargo, my bank account was hacked somehow and my mailing address changed to an address in Miami, they were about to transfer my funds when I caught on to it.

Now, I got some damages done to my vehicle by Hurricane Irma, I got a check from the insurance company in both my name and the lean holder. I would assume I would send it to them, they would endorse it, and send me back a check in my name so I can pay for the damages. But no, they want me to send them the check but won't send me one back... I was given the runaround, passed around like a hot potatoes. This people are con artist, I think it's a requirement in order to work for them, must be saddy characters.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

This is the worst bank to ever deal with! We purchased our car in December 2013. Our credit isn't stellar so we were stuck with this bank for financing. Occasionally we have fallen behind 30 days. Over the past year, I have been making our payments, but have been receiving calls daily as the bank is stating our account is behind.

Yesterday at 9:30 pm a repo company showed up at our door to take possession of our car. No notice was given that the car was to be repossessed. No callbacks from Wells Fargo. No assistance whatsoever. Will probably end up on the phone all day trying to sort this out and hopefully, will not have my car taken. We paid $17000 for this car brand new and after paying for almost 4 years, we still owe $11000. I haven't figured that one out yet! Avoid using this fraudulent company at all costs!!!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

First let me say we have done business with Wells Fargo for over 25 years. Home loans, school loans, business and personal accounts, credit card accounts. Not one negative mark on us over these 2.5 decades. We went to them for an auto loan for our son who is a young police officer and who has more than one account with Wells Fargo also. The application online was simple. What took place after was beyond ridiculous. Playing phone tag for weeks, no response to emails, excuses. They offered half of what we were asking for at a hefty interest rate for someone with 800+ credit score.

When talking to agent and told him this was unacceptable and that this doesn't speak well of them and told them my son was a police officer he said he would take it back to his supervisor and call back by 4:00 that day. Crickets... We emailed asking for supervisors contact info. Nothing. I am appalled at their lack of first responder support, customer loyalty and plain ol' common courtesy. We went to Chase, got it done in literally 20 minutes with a much lower interest rate! We will more than likely be moving ALL of our accounts out of Wells Fargo.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

On July 16, 2016, we contacted Wells Fargo Dealer Services (WFDS) to obtain payoff information for our 2006 Buick Rendezvous. The payoff amount was given and we added additional funds to ensure that the daily interest accrued during the transfer of funds would be covered. We agreed to wait to contact our automobile insurance company to have the vehicle removed from our policy until the new owners arrived at their destination in order to ensure the vehicle was covered during transportation. When we made contact with our insurance agency they informed us that the financial institution processed the wrong vehicle.

On July 25, 2016, we contacted WFDS and informed them of the mistake and asked that the loan be reversed to correct their mistake. They asked for a letter to be sent to them explaining the situation and when we asked if a case number could be assigned to our situatio4n, they declined. At that time, we asked if they were going to return everything to the original loan number, dates, etc. They assured us that it would be returned to its original designation. We asked if we could still submit payments during the "correction phase" so the account would remain current, but they stated that the account was still officially "closed" and payment could not be applied to our loan until the account was reopened.

They also declined to remove the total amount due on the account from the refund check prior to releasing the refund but no explanation was given. We also asked if late charges would be charged or if they would report it to the credit agency since it might appear that the account would be in arrears. We were told that no late charges would be applied and they would not, under any means, report the account as being late or in arrears to the credit agencies. We made regular inquiries to WFDS, was very concerned that it was taking so long to correct the error, with no valid explanation. We were told by Katie, that it was taking a long time because the title processing through the State of Wisconsin Department of Motor Vehicles was taking longer than usual.

Months later the error was corrected and we received the refund check. We did not receive any type of payment due bill with the refund check. The next day we received two notices from WFDS in the mail asking for the "late" payments and when we got home from checking the mail, we received a phone call from the WFDS collections department asking where their money was and how did we intend on paying the amount in arrears. We spoke with Eli and asked him to review our file and see if he could tell us anything from what he was looking at. We asked if there was any annotations on our file explaining why payments hadn't been made, new loan origination date, etc.

Eli stated that there was nothing definitive in my file, no late notices, phone calls, previous collection letters - for three months. Eli stated that if there had been issues, there would certainly be some type of information in our file stating that. Since there was nothing, there was enough evidence to have this account directed to a supervisor to handle as it didn't fall under the usual collection procedures. He agreed that it should have been handled differently. During this phone call, we made the entire payment due electronically and gave Eli the bank confirmation number. We asked Eli if they had reported our account as being late to the credit bureaus. He didn't know so we asked that he check into it and have his supervisor get back to us.

Kip, the supervisor of the collections department called us back and let us know that yes, WFDS had reported our account to be in arrears to TransUnion, Equifax and Experian. We asked why this was done when we were told by two different employees that they would in no terms report us as being late as we have never been late and the account wouldn't be late at that time. Kip was not able to answer our question. We instructed Kip to send out a correction letter immediately and asked that the information be totally eradicated from our file. No trace, as they had promised to not send out a report and the correction takes weeks to process and that it can have an effect not only on our financial records but our hireability as well. We do not want any ramifications on our credit file or credit score to reflect their mistake.

We asked that a follow-up letter be sent to us in reference to this situation and Kip refused. Kip said, "'Just call me if you have any problems in the future and I will take care of it". We asked him if he could tell if there was anything in the system that showed why it took so long to process the correction and fix our account and he said from what he could see "It looks like it was something to do with the title'".

On October 21, 2016, we received a letter in the mail from WFDS. The letter stated that they had sent all of our personal information/original title, etc., to an individual we do not know. We assume he is a customer of WFDS and another mistake was made. The letter asks Mr. ** to return all the documents to WFDS. WFDS did not inform us of this until after the entire transaction was complete. Had we known about it, we would not have stayed in business with them, would not have signed the check or deposit it in our account. Every time we have tried to discuss this situation with WFDS, they refuse to talk about it. They refuse to give me any copies or information in order for us to protect ourselves against identity theft, etc. We asked that WFDS provide identity theft protection for my husband and myself. They refused. We asked for follow-up documentation for the complaint we filed, their "investigation" findings, etc., they also refused.

At that point in time, we were done. We contacted WFDS and asked to file a formal complaint. We spoke with Marna and asked that she record the entire conversation as she was taking a formal statement and it would avoid wasting time explaining the long story to someone new every time we have contact in reference to this situation. We have already wasted so much time supervising WFDS and making sure that we followed up on all their actions. A case number was finally assigned to the complaint, although it has not helped in any way whatsoever.

Marna promised to contact us in one week to update us on what she could find and she never called us back. We subsequently called the WFDS president's office to inquire to the disposition of the complaint. Months transpired with every excuse under the sun. We filed complaints with other agencies within the government to ensure our personal information, credit information identities, etc., were and are being protected as well as can be expected.

On March 29, 2017, we contacted WFDS and was told that a case manager had been assigned to our case. We called every week to check in and inquire as to the complaint's status, to no avail. WFDS said that Travis was my case manager. We left three voicemails on Travis' phone but received no call back from him. We called back again and was told that our case was closed, so we filed a second complaint in reference to the first complaint. Not only had no one contacted us to tell us that a case manager had been assigned to our complaint. They also did not contact us for any information or details about the complaint, but closed it and refused to give follow-up documentation to their internal investigation.

On April 6, 2017, Shaniqua called us and told us that, oops they made a mistake, no they will not pay to have our identities protected, no they will not do anything else to ensure that this doesn't happen again and they feel that sending the correction letter the credit bureau is all they are responsible to do. Again, we asked for documentation from them in reference to the investigation and they refused to give us anything.

The copy of the letter from WFDS that we did receive as a response to a complaint we filed with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, case number **, is false. It reads as though they sent out the letter to us immediately telling us of their error sending our paperwork and personal info to a stranger. We did not receive the letter until after everything was reversed and the check deposited. Also, they did not send out a request for correction to the credit agencies until we told them to do so. We called the phone number at the end of the letter and asked to speak with Laura ** and was given her voice mail and left several messages to which none were returned.

We received a letter from Cederic **, WFDSPO, he declined to inform his bosses that when he approached them with a resolution that he misinformed them and told them we were asking for identity theft protection, negation of the loan and $10k. We knew at the end of the conversation he would get it wrong, again. We asked that they either negate the loan ($3k) or provide identity theft protection for five years for my self and my husband with a company of our choosing. That was all. He closed the complaint and told us to start from scratch. We filed the third complaint with Elena. They have surpassed all of their suspense dates and times and when we asked to have a hearing that they informed us we could have in reference to voluntary surrender of our vehicle (NOT a financial surrender). They refuse to do that and told us if we want the hearing to do it ourselves.

They did threaten to put negative information on our credit file and seek court proceedings to repay them what would be left on the loan after the vehicle is auctioned. We asked how they knew what would happen as a result of the hearing when they stated they have no history of anyone requesting a voluntary surrender under our circumstances they refuse to answer any questions and threaten us with closing the third complaint.

We spoke with Kip **. WFDS Collections Manager and informed him that we are considering the voluntary surrender of our vehicle because of the horrendous treatment we have suffered by their hands and that we do not have any desire to stay in business with them. Kip directed us back to the WFDSPO to file the voluntary surrender. WFDSPO directed us back to Kip and he stated that we are not allowed a hearing for voluntary surrender, only repossession for default on the loan. We discussed the prerequisites necessary in order for WFDS to start the process of repossession and he stated that he could change their rules and guidelines to whatever he thought best and he stated he has no intention whatsoever of repossessing our vehicle.

He will not afford us the right to a hearing prior to the repossession (even though their documentation states that we are allowed, by law, a hearing to understand what our rights are; WFDS/Mr. ** provided this document to us), he will only send information to the credit bureaus that we are late and refused to send follow-up documentation that outlined his statements. We continue to ask what WFDS has done for us as a customer, no response. We ask every employee that we have dealt with and receive the same response silence.

We have their correspondence, logs of all phone calls, dates, times, etc. They are giving false information to government agencies, accusing other government agencies for being at fault, mail fraud, wire fraud, truth in lending, false credit reporting, private information leak, strong arm delay tactics, threats to manipulate our decision making, adding extortion information into our account files, refuse to provide copies of documents that have been requested more than once and months ago; the list goes on and on.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo Auto Loans?

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

Hopefully you never need a loan deferment over the life of your auto loan. WFDS has some ridiculous ideas of "deferments". I had some legal expenses and deposits to make up front in a previous month, so I asked for a deferment, thinking I would get 3-6 months of no payments, to be tacked-on to the tail end of my loan agreement. WFDS offered me a TOTAL of 3 months, over the life of the loan, however they can't be used all at once. I had to beg to use 2 months, since I was 2 months behind, and was told "ok, that's fine, however you can't use your last month's worth until THREE YEARS from now (so, August of 2020)"... How's that for customer service? They also suggested I just switch my due date to 15 days later than what it is now.

Since my due date is already close to the end of the month, that would put the new due date to occur near the BEGINNING of the month - I explained to them how that would not help me, since I have my house payment and beginning of the month bills due at that time. I also asked if I switched my current due date, could I call sometime down the line to switch it again, hoping for some flexibility, but no... that too, apparently doesn't exist in the WFDS universe, because once you switch your due date, THAT'S IT, there's no going back, and no switching it to a different date ever again!

Not really understanding how ANY of this is supposed to help a customer out if they have a monetary emergency. Legal expenses aren't something that can be budgeted for, if you don't know how much you're going to need up front! Sure, you could put aside some cash in an emergency fund, but really - in today's economy, who has a nest-egg already saved up with tens of thousands of dollars just sitting there for something like that? Not your average consumer. It's pretty sad, too - because this is the SECOND time I've had WFDS as my auto loan servicer. So I've been with them for awhile. The only positive thing I can say about any of this is at least I have the option to go into a WF bank to make my auto loan payment and they can do it right then and there - albeit with a bit of hassle.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

My wife and I bought a 2016 Chevy Cruze. Unfortunately, it was financed the Wells Fargo. We have made payments for over a year. However, last year we were unemployed and are now underemployed. We have continued to make payments as quickly as possible. Now WFDS says we have to make a specific payment before they will stop any "process" (i.e. Repossession). I was prepared to make the payment and began to ask if They would send me an email to confirm that payment of the specified amount would stop any repossession. I was rudely cut-off in mid sentence and told: "We don't send emails"! That did not surprise me as they are always rude and treat you as if you are a criminal or you are trying to deceive them.

I have stayed in touch with them to let them know what was going on. They are always rude! They ask you to verify your personal information over and over. All of which I keep updated on the WFDS website. I would not recommend doing any business with a company such as Wells Fargo Dealer Services or Wells Fargo in general. I never will again. Can't wait til I can refinance with a reputable company.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I have approximately 20,000 in my Wells Fargo account. I have a 670 credit score (not great but not that bad either). I asked to refinance my high interest rate car loan and Wells Fargo offered me a loan almost double of what I have now. I went to Chase bank and they offered me a rate of 4.9% which isn't great but isn't 15% like Wells Fargo said to refinance. I am thinking about closing down my accounts here and just moving them to Chase. This is a horrible bank. I don't think I can keep my business with Wells Fargo the way they are.

Original review: July 28, 2017

We were 87 days late on payments because of financial hardship. We contacted Wells Fargo dealer service to see what we can do. They said we can do a deferment, all they need to do is send the forms for us to fill up. Pay a $25 fee and then pay a month's payment. Well they never sent us the forms. We have contacted them 3 times to get the forms and then one all of a sudden they tow our truck. We called them and the guy says, "well why didn't you respond when we tried contacting you." I told him we contacted them back 3 times for them to send the forms which they never sent.

The customer service representative on the other end gave me attitude and hung up on me. This got me so mad. Why is it the bank is never at fault. Oh and the funny thing is everything call and conversation is recorded so I'm not sure why they said we never contacted them back about the loan when we did. Now collections wants 1637.00 today and 2000+ tomorrow if we can't pay today. And in August it will be sold in an auction. I hope they close them down, they have no business doing business.

Original review: July 19, 2017

Well my wonderful Wells Fargo dealer experience started off when I made the DUMB decision to purchase a car using a Wells Fargo loan. All has been going well, payments are being made. Time came that we got in a financial hole, called and spoke to a rep who stated that my account would be noted for a payment to be made on Friday. The lovely Jack wagon of an employee FAILED to note my account regarding this issue, and my car was repossessed. NO notification of repossession, no confirmation, no phone calls, no mail and or email. They literally came to my house at 9:30 at night and repossessed my vehicle. I will probably end up selling this car as soon as possible, as I have never seen such a negligent company and I highly suggest against using this car loan service unless you want to be stranded with a child and no car, though things were settled from your end previously.

Dear Wells Fargo Dealer services, thank you for being the biggest pain in our arse that we have committed to so far. I put my faith in this company to take care of me and my family. Due to your negligence, me and my 11 month old were left without a vehicle, we were penalized and that should never have happened, and would have not happened if it had not been for your negligence. I will not be dealing with the customer service for this company for any further inquiries, as it seems that they have hired some half-wit robot monkeys to work in place of knowledgeable and trust-able employees. Seems rather ridiculous to be such a large bank and care so little of the people who support them.

Original review: July 13, 2017

I am having financial hardship due to an unexpected bill this month that is not a reoccurring bill as Wells Fargo seems to think. I've made every payment on time since I've had the loan and have never asked to have a payment deferred before. I called to have this onetime payment deferred and they refused to help. So anyone having a difficult time I feel sorry for you if you are with this company because they refuse to work with you on anything!!! So if you're a customer in good standing and have one bad month don't bother calling theses morons because they will refuse to help you other than saying oh well you can make a late payment... If I knew I was going to have the extra money to pay you a little late why the heck would I bother calling you for a deferred payment I wouldn't have. Let me just pull some money out of where the Sun don't shine and give it to you!

And the office of the President calls me and still tells me they can't help me. Well don't bother calling me wasting my time and pissing me off more then! And I made it clear to put in their records to not be calling me on a daily basis saying my payment is late when I called these idiots asking for a deferred payment for ONE month when my account has been in good standing for well over a year since I got the loan. Thanks for nothing Wells Fargo. I hope none of you idiots ever have a hardship!

Original review: July 11, 2017

There is a reason for all the one star comments on this board. Just spoke to a rude rep. There was no budging on agreeing to a very short-term catch-up payment plan during a time of financial and illness hardship. To leave the call without receiving support for a short-term payment plan was dismaying. The same hard-ball information could have at least been presented in a humanly way, instead I hear the rep munching loudly on snacks answering in a cold-hearted manner.

Original review: July 6, 2017

I was in a car accident in Nov. 2016. I had full coverage on my auto and I also was covered by GAP insurance. I also had a refund on a maintenance contact that was also applied to my final payoff. Wells Fargo was paid this amount and they held on to the maintenance refund check and took their time sending information to my GAP company in order to receive the final payoff. I had to call Wells Fargo to ask why this payment was not sent to GAP in order to satisfy my payoff. Well it was explained by a Wells Fargo rep that this is a process and it takes time.

While all this is happening it is affecting my credit. This loan didn't get satisfied until 6 months later and now I have a negative impact on my credit saying that I was a 120 days late and that the balance on my auto loan is a charge off and I have never been late until this incident. I will never do business with Wells Fargo and future toward I will make sure that whomever I speak with friends, family, acquaintance that this is a bank you don't want to deal with because of my bad experience. They are very unprofessional and thumbs down.

Original review: July 6, 2017

Had loan, called them to ask for help. Explained I can make current payments just can't make up the month and half behind. They won't work with you, they make calls all day harassing even at work. Repo truck called them. Friend loaned me the cash and still gave runaround. Call here hold 45 min to 1.5 hr, to hear to call back in couple hours. This went on for 4 days, still nothing. Never got any paperwork to even suspect that they were going to repossession of vehicle. To over 45 days before they even sent me anything saying to my vehicle. Now say sold my vehicle for low price and wants more money from me for difference. Why can't they work with you. No customer service there. Stay away. They are out to get you if you are not perfect person. Heartless and harassing.

Original review: June 20, 2017

Will never use Wells Fargo Dealer Services AGAIN!! Nor will I ever recommend them to anyone! I have gone back and forth with the Loan department because of a $398.89 charge that was added to my loan. No one has been able to give me an exact answer for the last 2 months. I also had a "late and stop payments" that were listed on my credit. I was NOT LATE. When I called customer service they said, "Oh no. You're not late. That was a mistake. Just fax over a dispute and we will process and see about taking it off." I have had the most WORST experience with them! Even the dealership that I just bought another vehicle from said they will NOT do work with Wells Fargo Dealer Services because of how bad their service is!!! DO NOT RECOMMEND!!!

Original review: June 15, 2017

I've only had my car since Aug. 2016. When I first got my car, I had my payments set up on automated draft. Some time around Christmas that stopped for some unknown reason. My payments keep getting paid late because of this but I make the payment when they call and ask them to set it back up. Well I haven't got a call about a late payment since March so I figured that my payments finally were coming out of my acct again. Then the day before I leave to go on vacation I get a letter in the mail that says I am 4 months past due and they are going to repo my car in the next week. I call them several times... it takes most of the day to find someone that is willing to "help". They agree to set up a payment arrangement (pay half that Friday and then pay the other half plus the next payment in 2 weeks). Problem solved... I can go on vacation without worry.

Well they never held up the payment arrangement and the day we got back from Vacation my car was picked up. It still had all our stuff in it! I made the payment in full through MoneyGram and called them like I was suppose to. They verified the payment and sent a letter of release to the repo man. They told me that it could take up to 4 hours to go through. Well it's been 2 days and they still haven't gotten it. When I call Wells Fargo they just tell me that it has been sent.

Original review: June 10, 2017

I have been working with Wells regarding my car payment. After speaking with a rep. on 6/2017 regarding payment, he stated for me to wait until I receive a call. When I rec. the call the manager want the account current by the following Mon. I explain that I had a payment but was advised to wait until can contacted. I had always heard how awfully the service is and will speedily pay this debt off and never do business again with this bank. I see why they have such bad reviews. Oh yeah I also informed the account manager that I had just obtained employment this past week. Told two different solution regarding car loan is my complaint.

Original review: May 30, 2017

I need assistance with navigating through some unethical and unscrupulous practices that I am receiving in working with Wells Fargo Dealer Services (WFDS) pertaining to not only my auto loan but on how they are conducting business with me in not being accountable. I was trying to be proactive with WFDS when I begin to notice that my income was decreasing. I notified them and they suggested a refi. I applied for the refi and after my credit was ran, WFDS indicated that I already had the best rate that they could offer considering that my vehicle was old.

The only suggestion that they were able to provide was to apply for a refi again once more of the principal had been paid. In April, I began receiving calls from WFDS about my April’s payment. I was informed that I owed a balance of $59 for April from a monthly payment of $335.76. From this call forward this is where the dishonesty, run around, red tape and lack of accountability that I began to receive from WFDS.

I received another call about the $59 payment at which time I had the same type of discussion with this representative as I had before with other WFDS representatives. This representative informed me about the available options for those that are experiencing financial hardship: apply for a hardship refi (different from a regular refi) or apply for a deferment. I had began this process early May and until now, I am still trying to get things resolved with them. It is unfortunate that Wells Fargo can continue to be an unethical, unaccountable and unscrupulous company and get away with it. This is why I have closed my accounts with them before they do something else to only get their hands slapped. More details available if needed.

Original review: May 26, 2017

I'm going to make this short. I could type out my long drawn out story, but bottom line, overall rude customer service. They are unwilling to work with you in any way. If you can refinance your car with a more customer friendly bank, I would advise to do so.

Original review: May 18, 2017

I got approved through Wells Fargo dealership services. I was informed through Gurley Leep at Mishawaka Indiana dealership that if I would agree to the allowed amount I would have no problem to lower my payment in six months through Wells Fargo. I told them I could not afford a 477.00 payment but not knowing I could not refinance in six months. Wells Fargo said I had to wait twelve months to refinance so I paid on time another six months and call them in a year into the loan that for my 2011 Nissan Maxima was upside down thanks to Wells Fargo dealership knowing at the time of the sale it was over priced. They will not help me and I have been struggling every since and Gurley Leep won't help either.

My blame in this whole situation was I didn't do my homework on the value of the purchase before I sign the papers and trusting Gurley Leep since I had got several car from them. At the time of this deal, I was on a lot of medications due to excessive pain and I didn't know I was overcharged on the vehicle until I tried to refinance.

Original review: May 18, 2017

I recently had a total loss claim on my 2008 Chevy Colorado. During the time we were waiting for the insurance company to pay and the gap insurance to pay I was told account would be put on hold. Well now that they have received over 10000.00 in 3 months they call and say I am 4 months behind on payments and my account was being sent to the charge off department. I only owe 1300.00 and they refused to make payment arrangements with me until my account goes into charge off status. There goes the credit score. They are preying on people and robbing them.

Original review: May 4, 2017

Terrible Customer Service. Wells Fargo is listed as a lien holder on our vehicle in error. We never had a loan with them. They can see in their system it is an error. Even still, they required a letter from the dealership stating what they already knew. The dealership sent the letter, then called them to confirm they received the letter. They are refusing to provide us with a lien release until they can process the letter, between 48 hours, but up to 35 days... on a car they admit they know they should not hold a lien on. Asked for a supervisor and was told no, there was no one else that could speak to me. Asked him to process it immediately and was told that I have to wait for their process times. Asked to have it expedited as they can clearly see it's an error, and they have everything they've requested and was told I have to wait.

Original review: April 12, 2017

Recently Wells Fargo repo'd my vehicle. Partly my fault, partly theirs, however; after paying the amount to get my vehicle back, I went to pick up the vehicle and upon further inspection I noticed that there was a chip in the left rear driver's side window. This chip was not there when the vehicle was picked up and it was not noted as part of their inspection. The window was chipped during towing. I called Wells Fargo to quickly make a claim and see who would be responsible for paying for another window. They asked me to get 2 quotes and fax it to them.

After several days, they got back to me indicating the party claims that the chip was already there and when I picked up the vehicle I immediately went to that window to point out the chip, which is a false claim. The vehicle was shown to me passenger side first. Then I walked around to the driver's side of the vehicle. Wells Fargo said that they were sent pictures of the vehicle along with their statement of me immediately pointing out the chip. The person that was witness to me inspecting the vehicle was right there with me and we discussed the chip after I pointed it out. It was not on their inspection report.

When I ask Wells Fargo if I could get a copy of the pictures and their statement, they told me I would need a subpoena in order to acquire those documents. Of course they know that acquiring a subpoena would cost just as much as the window replacement, so they know I am not going to go get one. It's easier for them not to pay for the damage.

So, basically they broke my window and are leaving me with the bill. There should be some law against this type of crap! But we all know the laws that are in place are there to benefit them and not consumers. If you are doing research on auto loans, do not go with Wells Fargo. Their customer service is lacking, they will try to screw you (if given the opportunity) and there is no communication between them and the customer. Beware.

Original review: April 10, 2017

I will keep it short as I can't say more bad things about anyone. But Wells Fargo deserves this special treatment so I'm writing this. Very high-interest rate. (They had me at 4.99 but I got 1.99 within 15 days after signing up with them, so I refinanced my loan). Pathetic, rude customer service. Don't know if Wells Fargo's policies don't allow representatives to be customer friendly or the representatives themselves are very rude. Happy to say goodbye to Wells Fargo.

Original review: April 4, 2017

I purchased a car in March 2014 and Wells Fargo Dealer Services financed the loan. I made my payments every month and usually paid a little over the payment that was due. On March 1, 2017, I traded my old car in for a new one. The dealership mailed a cashier's check to Wells Fargo for the payoff. A few weeks later, I started getting emails and phone calls from Wells Fargo stating my payment was past due. I contacted customer services multiple times explaining that I had traded the car in and was told I had to have the dealership call them.

I questioned this instruction as it is illegal to discuss a clients account with anyone other than the client. I was again told the dealership had to call them. I immediately called the dealership and spoke to the GM explaining what WFDS instructed me to do. He advised that WFDS had received the check on March 16, 2017, that someone by the name of "FRENCH" signed for it and that he would do as I was asking. He later contacted me and advised that it should be taken care of.

A few days later I called to make sure and was told no, that I needed to make a payment to them immediately and "if" the check ever does come in then they would send me a refund on the payment. WFDS also noted that I because of the late payment I had been charged late fees and confirmed that if payment was not received it would also be reported on my credit report as a late pay. I had started reading reviews and social media posts about how WFDS is notorious for requiring customers to make payments in cases such as this but NEVER refunding the overpayment so opted to not allow them any extra money.

Another day or two later (over the weekend), I received another call/recording stating payment was due and to call back immediately. On the morning of Monday, April 3, I called and spoke with a rep and a manager. The manager, Lisa, advised that there are notes on my account that payment is being investigated and that I should not receive any more calls. Early that afternoon, I received a phone call from the GM at the dealership where I purchased my car advising that he received the check back in the mail with a letter stating I do not have an account with them (Wells Fargo Dealer Services). He asked me what I would like him to do. I told him I would call WFDS and call him back.

When I called back, the manager/supervisor I had spoke to earlier was not available so the rep sent her an email with the details and my cell phone number to call me back immediately. Lisa called me back and then told me that if the check had no information on it then it would be sent back. The GM had already confirmed that my information/account number was on the front. As she was not being any help, I asked for someone over her head at which she transferred me to someone in the "complaint department". I again explained the entire ordeal to the woman. The woman put me on hold then came back and told me it takes 7-10 business days to resolve issues in their department so she is unable to assist me based on the timing and offered to transfer to me yet someone else.

She further argued with me stating that they would NEVER have a dealership call as they cannot discuss my account with anyone. I pointed out that I knew that and argued that same thing when their rep told me it had to be done and that the GM actually did call and talk to someone. She was not listening to anything I was telling her and not helpful. I finally hung up on her and called the GM at the dealership back and asked him to just make sure all the information is correct on the front and overnight the check again which he had already done.

After hours of phone calls and multiple people, WFDS has caused more stress and frustration than should have been. How much time could it have taken to call the dealership when they received the check and confirmed the information they were questioning? Or, when I called or the GM from the dealership called, could they not have advised that the check was probably sent back? I highly recommend anyone that is considering Wells Fargo for banking needs reconsider. Read reviews and social media posts (especially their own Facebook page).

Original review: March 16, 2017

I purchased my car in December 2015 and made all payments on time for the first year. Then, I became very ill and could not make much money. At first, WFDS were OK, and I could talk to them, etc. and I kept up with my payments, though many were late. They even granted me a deferment. In the past months, I am late again, but by less than a month, but now I get psychopathic collection people when I call.

Actually, if I return their calls and ask for the person's name in the recording, that person is never 'available' so I end up with someone who interrupts me, talks over me then when I refuse to stop talking (pushing him to take his turn) he screams that I am rude and interrupting him and I just don't want to pay for the car, etc. etc. I am writing this because, if you are thinking of using them, make sure you can not be late with payments. I personally was trying to avoid this psychopathic behavior by going with what I thought to be a reputable company (Wells Fargo) but I was very mistaken. Caveat Emptor.

Original review: March 16, 2017

We overpaid our loan when we traded our car and bought another one on February 10, 2017. THEY OWE US OVER $572.00. They acknowledged they owe us but keep coming up with excuses why they have not returned our overpaid money. "Have to do a title search." What? They were the bank holding the title for our old car. "It's a process." "The check was written on March 6, 2017." "It's in the mail." As of today, March 15, 2017, we still have not received our check. Today was "We will have to mail you a form for you to sign and get notarize saying you have not received the check, before we can issue you a check." Lies, lies and more lies.

Original review: March 13, 2017

I was looking for an inexpensive used automobile and I realized that purchasing a car from a private individual was best for 2 reasons. First, I knew I could get a better deal. Let's face it when dealing with car dealers in general, and used cars dealers in particular, there is a lot of mark up in the pricing of cars. Second, and more importantly, the price range I was trying to stay in ($4,500 - $7,000) would simply not be available at the dealerships.

I am rebuilding my credit, it isn't stellar and I thought I might have a better chance if I had an account at Wells Fargo with direct deposit. Then I could sign up for auto payments at the time of the loan. So, I head out to Wells Fargo - Cary Park Town Center, 10050 Green Level Church Road, Cary, NC 27519 - on the recommendation of a family member. A couple of days later, I had found a car, sold by an individual, and called the same lady at the same local branch to start the application process. Nothing! She literally just ignored me. In hindsight, I realize it is because when I had opened my account, she had an opportunity to see my credit.

I decided to go to a different branch - McCrimmon Corners, 4011 Davis DR, Morrisville, NC 27560. And as she hurried thru my application, I provided the necessary information pertaining to the vehicle, and I asked her to include some positive pertinent financial information to the underwriter, she declined to include it, and additionally said she had to include information about my rent (despite the fact I don't pay rent - my husband does). Within 2 minutes, the answer... NO!

I head out to NC Chris Leith Pre-Owned Superstore in Raleigh, see a car. Not a bad car, and when I ask about a different car for the same price, he explains that "the lender won't approve me for that car for the same payments". Now I don't know much about banking or lending, but it seems to me, that it should be me, and not the dealer or the bank determining which car to sell me. Hindsight is 20/20. Come to find out, he was dealing with Wells Fargo. When I asked how (as I had warned them already that they had turned me down) the salesman said smugly, "We have our ways." So, feeling as if I had no other choice I completed the paperwork and drove off the lot in my new (used) car.

As I was reading the details of the transaction, I was dismayed by the information. Keep in mind, I had wanted a $5,000 car and I was prepared to make a down payment, and I expected to have a high interest rate. But alas, for this $15,000 car, I will be paying more than the amount I wanted to buy the first car for in interest alone. Why they would allow me to spend 3 times what I wanted to spend (and knew I could afford) is beyond me. No wonder Wells Fargo has such big buildings all over the country!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2017

I've had bad luck with Wells Fargo dealer services. Upon checking my credit I noticed I was in default on my loan I've been late on a payment, I called them there investigating it, it's been 1 year. I filed a complaint with attorney General of mn, they never replied back. Filed a complaint with the government. No reply. They have 56 thousand plus complaints in just this department alone, Wells Fargo dealer services fails to inform me of my default they put on my loan, nothing was mailed to my home indicating the date, they say they're investigating the matter starting there. Get back to me in ten days, nothing. I am done with them the. I am asking how to file a legit class action lawsuit against them and get others involved that's had same situations with this company, they need to be stopped.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2017

I have had a loan with Wells Fargo Dealer Services for a few years now. My husband was injured and cannot work. This impacted our income tremendously and of course caused us financial difficulties. I reached out to Wells Fargo several times. Finally, an employee said we qualified to defer our payments and that would catch us up. Then our next payment would be due in the beginning of the month. He explained that we had a small deferment fee and then our next payment was due at the beginning of the next month but to show "good faith" I should try to make the payment before the end of the month we were in. I did exactly as he said. I paid the fee and then made my next payment on 28th or 29th of that month. I kept getting phone calls and the employees were very rude and very condescending. I was told that I was still behind. When I questioned it I would be told they would look in to it then no one had any answers.

After numerous months of them still reporting us delinquent even though we made our payments on time as instructed I was finally told that their employee "misspoke" but they "really couldn't do anything about that I just needed to figure it out and make 2 payments in a month or stay forever behind". That simply isn't possible.

Now I get phone calls, like the one today, where I was told I was wrong and that I am past due with a ton of late fees that they have added on every month for the past year and then I was asked "can't you see?". Yes, I can see. I can see that I was lied to by a Wells Fargo employee. If he misspoke, as they said he did, then they should have been able to make things right. Stand up and accept their mistake and make it right for the customer. They chose not to. Instead, they have decided to continue to add on fee after fee and continue to call being rude and disrespectful. Wells Fargo Dealer Services really needs to learn more about customer service. My advice, don't trust them, they seem to have no concern for "misspeaking" the truth and avoid doing business with them.

Wells Fargo Auto Loans expert review by Lauren Fix

Wells Fargo is one of the most widely recognized names in the finance and lending world. They have been in business for over 20 years and have a large, nationwide team.

• Low rates: Wells Fargo is known for being able to offer customers with good credit histories loans with extremely low rates compared with other auto loan companies. Current customers of Wells Fargo Bank can receive discounted rates.

• Refinancing: In addition to securing loans, they also help applicants manage their payments and find ways to lower their monthly payments.

• Auto equity: Wells Fargo helps customers to get a loan for debt consolidation using the equity of their car.

• Easy application process: The company makes it easy for customers to apply online with a simple online application form that only requires minimal personal and financial history information. This allows applicants to hear back about the company's decision right away. It’s easy to apply in as little as 5 – 10 minutes.

• Support: Their auto-loan specialists provide customer support in a myriad of forms, including online chat, phone, and e-mail. This makes it convenient for customers to receive support no matter what method of communication is best for them.

• Best for: Consumers with good credit, those looking to refinance their loan or those who want to consolidate their auto loan debt.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Wells Fargo Auto Loans Company Information