2. Finance
  3. Car Loans

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.36/5

Wells Fargo Auto Loans Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo Auto Loans?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo Auto Loans?

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

I hope there is an option for PRINCIPAL ONLY PAYMENT ONLINE! Every time I called and specifically told the agents I want to make a payment towards the PRINCIPAL ONLY, they posted it wrong EVERY SINGLE TIME! And put it on the advance months payment. I need to call them AGAIN and tell them to adjust it because they POSTED it WRONG! We worked hard for every penny we got, the DAILY interest rate is big deal to us. (I know you don't care about it.) We pay you right, please do your job right as well!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2020

High interest rates, offer lower interest but add on to the loan, deceiving and dishonest. Do not get a auto loan through Wells Fargo! Paid payments on time for 5 years and my last payment was doubled. When I called to pay I was told it would be ok to break the payment in 2 and now I have a late payment on my credit from them over a 100. Dollar balance. So ridiculous!

Get buying tips about Auto Loans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 9, 2020

Wells Fargo Auto and Wells Fargo in general are crooks period. I have never been late on a truck payment and I get a call that my account was thrown into collections for a non payment in May 2020. I showed them a photo of the check being cleared by my bank by Wells Fargo Auto, the receipt of the branch in Cedar Park tx that Manager Ann took in and said she would have it cleared up in 48 hrs and would follow back up with for confirmation. A week has gone by and still getting collection calls from Wells Fargo Auto.

I called the branch and no longer is there and Allysa ** covering for me would follow up with me in another week. The teller at the branch said they are two separate entities and they don’t have anything to do with their own affiliate. These people are crooks and should be shut down. They already have been associated with fraudulent opening fake accounts for their own benefit. I will take this to the highest level to make them pay for stealing money from their own customers! Do not use this bank for anything! Avoid at all cost!!!

Original review: May 23, 2020

I am self employed and they gave me my first car loan when others turned me down. They gave me a decent rate, and there were no hassles. I paid off my car loan a year early and I received my title in about 2 weeks without having to do anything on my end. There were a few times I was past 10 days late and I just paid the minimal fee. No big deal. That was part of the loan agreement. Other than that, just paid everything on time and there were no issues. I'd go with them again if need be.

Original review: May 20, 2020

If I could give Wells Fargo Auto 0 stars I would. They are by far the very worst auto loan company I have ever dealt with. I do not recommend anyone to use this company. Save yourself the heartache and choose another company!! They care nothing about customer satisfaction!

Original review: May 4, 2020

Got WF loan several yrs ago when I had to replace my car. Every payment was on time & more than min because I set up auto-payment. WF never applied add funds to balance, default is against next payment. (Why is there no option for this when you set up your payment???) Still, I kept plugging along... Finally, paid car off 1 year early. Rec'd title and lien release fast-ish (2 weeks or so), but it's been 60 days and they STILL have not reported my loan paid to the credit agencies - so it's hanging out there for 2 months that I've made zero payments on my car loan. No CS unless you call - wait times are ridiculous. Sad since I've had a WF bank account for 20 + years and I still can't get decent service. My next car I will try to get a loan from ANY ONE else.

Original review: April 11, 2020

Gave me a low interest rate even though it was my first time financing a vehicle. They are lenient and understanding when times are tough. Honestly they have treated me better than what I have deserved. I recommend them 100%.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2020

I called customer service department this morning to request a lien release on my auto title account. I spoke with Ann in customer service who shared with me that my account was in fact paid in full and closed. I requested a lien release and she told me she couldnt to that and that I needed to speak with customer service in the title department. POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

So she patched me through to Josiah who informed me that I would have to wait 7 days to make sure my funds cleared or I could email a copy of my bank statement showing it has cleared. Ann had already told me my account was paid and satisfied in full and closed early If I may add! I requested to speak with a supervisor and Josiah put me on hold. No one ever came on the line so after 20 min I hung up. This is not good customer service. All I need is a lien release so my daughter can put her vehicle in her name. We have the title and we have signed it over our daughter. This will is the last loan we will use Wells Fargo Dealer Service for! They refuse to release lien for 7-10 days even though the account has been paid in full.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2020

After my car was totaled and insurance paid I had a 2 pay balance. Paid one and tried to split second. Wrote check for half and mailed. 3 days later they take remaining amount!!!! BS Didn't want to do anything to help. Associates are useless as is the whole company. DO NOT utilize them.. Plenty of places to go. Thieves!!!!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

For a little over a year now, I have been going back and forth with this company about applying extra payments toward principal or making a larger principal only payment, and not as advance payment. The only way to pay extra towards principle is either through 1) ALP, which is not an option for me because I like to pay my bills on payday. 2) Go into a Wells Fargo branch, which is inconvenient for me as a caretaker, or 3) One time payment online, then call an agent and request that the extra amount be applied to principal, which is best suited for my situation.

This is my first auto loan with Wells Fargo. I did my first month's payment online in March of 2018 and paid a little more, thinking the extra would automatically be applied towards principal. My very first car I bought in 2012 was with a different loan company, and any extras I made on the payment online went directly to principal. So of course, I thought the same for Wells Fargo. WRONG!

After my payment posted, I notice that there was a payment variance. I had no idea what a payment variance was, so I called customer service. The agent had no idea either, so she put me on hold and consulted with her supervisor. She got back to me and explained that it was because I paid more on my monthly. That's why there's a payment variance. OK, so I paid the next month's bill, and that payment variance is still sitting in the account, so I called customer service again. This time I got a different response from a different agent. She explained that the payment variance does not get applied to the principal, and it pretty much just sits there until I put in a customer request to apply it to the principal.

Early on from there, I figured it would be too inconvenient to have to call an agent each time I wanted to make a one time monthly payment online and apply the extra towards principal, so I opted for ALP. I did the autopay until it no longer fit my situation; I went back to doing the one time payment online and call an agent each time to apply the extra payment toward principal only.

Now the real issue. Once I canceled the ALP, and started with the one time payment again, I trusted that the agents had entered my request correctly each time I called. I was very clear and concise about my request. To my surprise when logging in to check my payment history months later, many of the requests were processed as the regular monthly payment. The agent did not put in the request to apply the extra to principal, or the request entered by the agent was not clear so it got rejected by the receiving department. Due to the negligence, my payment variance got bigger and bigger, pushing out my due date further as advanced payment, interest accrued while I thought my principal balance was lowering. WRONG!

I caught on to this in the middle of 2019. I was very upset so I called customer service and spoke to many agents; each one telling me different things! Some not very competent, some great but it doesn't change the fact that I had to pay the daily interest on months that pushed out my due date. Getting transferred to an escalation team is of no use because I was put on hold for a VERY LONG time, so I had to hang up. No one responds to the emails either. I've sent multiple emails each time, but no response until I wrote a review online and Diane **, Exec Office Case Specialist finally reached out to me in 11/2019.

Since that conversation, I stopped making a one time payment with extra to go towards principal. It sort of forced me to just make my regular payment even if I really wanted to put extra towards principal. I didn't want to come across incompetent agents who can't process my request correctly. However, after two regular payments online and not being able to have that option to request extra towards principal without having to call an agent, I've decided to give it another try this year, and called an agent to make a payment.

On 1/24/20, I called customer service and was very clear to the lady that I wanted to apply a specific amount towards principal only. She asks if I had access to a computer and I said I'm on the payment page. She told me to go ahead and submit in the amount as a one time payment and she'll put the request in as principal only payment. Due to my bad experiences in the past, I was very concise with her and was assured the amount will all go towards principal.

Next day, 1/25/20, I logged in and payment had posted. It was processed as a regular payment, with a good amount as payment variance pushing my due date out as advanced payment! Not what I had requested! I had to call another agent (Monica) this morning to see what's going on and explained what I've been having to deal with. She checked and the previous agent never put in the request! This is what I have been dealing with! Monica said she will put in the request and it should be processed in 3-5 business days. These are the same answers I've been dealing with for the last year and having to make inconvenient repetitive phone calls.

Wells Fargo does not acknowledge that it's their fault or even investigate into it. When I was going through this consistently last year, I even emailed them and ask them to listen to their recordings because my requests are clear and concise. I wouldn't have to pay the unnecessary interest had their agents do their job correctly, or had they investigate into my requests and made adjustments accordingly to the original request date.

Thought I give them a second chance at this type of service this year to make things right, but it will never change. I'm going through the same headache with it! I guess I'm not the only person going through this because I just read other very similar reviews! Looks like Wells Fargo Auto will be moving to Wellsfargo.com soon. Hopefully there will be better options for making one time online payment that includes optional principal payment, and not just through ALP. Customers wouldn't have to deal with incompetent agents to put in their request that doesn't get processed anyway.

And if Wellsfargo decides not to have such option, at least have some sort of chat agent online so that there will at least be a transcript confirming the request. Customers receive no confirmation to over the phone requests entered by the agents, whether or not their requests are being processed or not! Do a better job Wells Fargo!

Wells Fargo Auto Loans author review by Lauren Fix

Wells Fargo is one of the most widely recognized names in the finance and lending world. They have been in business for over 20 years and have a large, nationwide team.

• Low rates: Wells Fargo is known for being able to offer customers with good credit histories loans with extremely low rates compared with other auto loan companies. Current customers of Wells Fargo Bank can receive discounted rates.

• Refinancing: In addition to securing loans, they also help applicants manage their payments and find ways to lower their monthly payments.

• Auto equity: Wells Fargo helps customers to get a loan for debt consolidation using the equity of their car.

• Easy application process: The company makes it easy for customers to apply online with a simple online application form that only requires minimal personal and financial history information. This allows applicants to hear back about the company's decision right away. It’s easy to apply in as little as 5 – 10 minutes.

• Support: Their auto-loan specialists provide customer support in a myriad of forms, including online chat, phone, and e-mail. This makes it convenient for customers to receive support no matter what method of communication is best for them.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Wells Fargo Auto Loans Company Information