1.15/5

Auto Warranty Expired?

148 Wells Fargo Auto Loans Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 22, 2019

I applied for Wells Fargo Private party Auto Loan in early April. That process alone was a bad start. I uploaded necessary documents online that was needed to complete the loan process and some of the documents were rejected but I didn't know until I checked about 2 days later. Twice that happened with no communication for my "Loan representative". I got approved for the loan I wanted at $5000 and that gradually went up to close to $5500 as other charges were applied. Shouldn't a complete disclosure of charges be done upfront as it's a general loan and not applied gradually after 2 weeks? Finally got that done and went to nearest branch to complete the process.

Process on the first day went smoothly. Got a call the 2nd day that the seller was given too much money so I had to go back to give back close to $500 which of course is delaying the process again as the bank is not close to me and it is the weekend. So 2 days later I go back and return extra funds that they shouldn't have given in the 1st place. A few days later I call my loan representative for an update and he asks if no one calls me. Apparently the seller didn't fill out a few documents correctly and they didn't review them at the time and they have no contact information for him. I call the bank and of course it's true. Again a screw up on their part. They got his contact number but the rep that had it is not at work and they can't get in his desk and I no longer had it. So this goes on for another week.

The rep comes back and says he is trying to contact the seller. I get in contact with the seller as I found his number and call him. He says they did speak and they no longer need him. No one calls me to tell me this. I call a day later and it's confirmed so they then tell me it's no longer in the branch's hands I have to deal with the phone reps. Phone reps tell me they have to send my title to DMV and they take care of registration so the clock starts again at 5 to 10 tens to receive my title.

I call a week later for an update and I am told that because of state rules they cannot title my car. I have to do it myself so they will send it to me asap in 3 days. 3 days comes again I call back to get the same answer. I call back 2 days later to rep telling me that the dealer is slow sometimes..wait..I didn't use a dealer.... She didn't even fully read the notes regarding my account before she is telling me information that does not apply to me and again I am waiting just to simply receive my title to my car that has been sitting in my garage since April 2nd and it is now May 22nd. Worst experience ever and I advice all to stay away.

Original review: May 21, 2019

I would never get an auto loan with Wells Fargo again. I got a $13,000 loan with them for my Honda 3 year ago. I've paid the loan on time for the past 3 years down to $5500. I would now like to sell my Honda. The Honda is in near perfect condition. But in order to sell my Honda I have to find a buyer who is willing to pay off my loan. Okay no problem, except buyer and I (seller) cannot just go into a Wells Fargo branch, pay the loan, and get the title. In the state of Florida, at least, there is a 7-10 day waiting release period of the title to the DMV. Which means that I have to find a buyer who is willing to pay off my loan and then wait with no proof of purchase, because Wells Fargo does not have or provide such a document (I asked), and then the buyer has to wait up to 10 days for the vehicle title.

What kind of business model is this Wells Fargo? As a seller, I look like a sleazy con artist trying to get someone to pay off my car then drive off with it. When I explain this whole process to potential buyers it scares them off because who wants to deal with this? Honestly, I wouldn't want to deal with it as a buyer. Now I have to suffer as the seller. But of course, Wells Fargo wants to make it difficult for me to pay off my loan in because then they aren't making 85 cents a day off of me anymore. Well lesson learned Wells Fargo, I will never take a loan out with you or any other large bank again.

Get expert buying tips about Auto Loans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I was in a car accident in the beginning of February and my car was totaled. My insurance did not pay off the loan completely. I have been paying my monthly payments while working with the insurance company on a final settlement. I called Wells Fargo to see what arrangements we can work out in the meantime. The first person I spoke to offered 2-3 month deferment but had to transfer me. The guy I was transferred to was nothing but rude. Told me the first person was wrong and then started chastising me that I had missed a payment last October that I was delinquent. I tried explaining I had my current statement in hand and there was no past due amount and that I was sure I did not miss a payment. He had no interest in the current situation or resolving the matter at hand. HE WAS PLAIN RUDE AND OBNOXIOUS.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I was told we missed payments and when one was made it was insufficient funds. My bank statements show otherwise. Tried to get it fixed. Was sent to president office. Stephanie was my advisor. Rude, uncaring, cussed. Never had such a bad few months of customer service. Do not use Wells Fargo Dealer Services.

Original review: April 15, 2019

In 2015, from California where I have been residing I purchased the 2014 Dodge Dart vehicle, VIN# **…. License Plate No: FCV through a dealership in Texas for my daughter Hannah who resides in Houston Texas. I financed this vehicle through Wells Fargo Dealer Services. Since 2015 I have paid the monthly payments on time for her car without any interruption or delay in payments. In October 10, 2018 my daughter parked her car at her sister’s apartment complex in Houston while visiting her sister and a Towing Company towed her car and delivered it to KTL Auto Storage. In fact her car had been towed from the same complex twice before and we always managed to negotiate with the towing company and paid a small fee to have her car released. This time around they sent a letter notifying my daughter of the vehicle storage location and they also copied the same letter to Wells Fargo dealer services.

The letter indicated that if the car was not picked up by 26th of November 2018 they would sell the car in an auction to receive their impound fees. As soon as I was aware of the car having been impounded and the content of the letter with the deadline date, I contacted the KTL auto storage to arrange to pay the negotiated fees and have my daughter pick up her car. They informed me that Wells Fargo had already picked up the vehicle on November 8th, 2018, that is 18 days prior to the deadline! I clearly acted within the proper and allocated window prior to the date given by the KTL Auto Storage to have the car released back to my daughter however Wells Fargo had already taken the car in their possession in order to repossess the vehicle.

Later on when I contacted Wells Fargo dealer services, I was told they repossessed the car because the payments were delinquent. I informed them that during the past 4 years I have never been delinquent, not even once. I was told they would look into this matter and contact me back. They called back in few days and confirmed that payments have not been late and didn’t know why the car was picked up by Wells Fargo and stated there must have been a mistake! I tried several times contacting Wells Fargo Dealer Services back with no luck after their response call and finally asked them to get me in touch with the office of the president.

As you may read in the attached letter from Wells Fargo-Office of the President, the letter indicates that the car was impounded because of unauthorized parking however in the next paragraph they indicated “they understand that our customers go through difficult financial periods for many reasons”! It is very obvious that this was not a car abandonment due to any financial issue. The Wells Fargo letter is specific in its findings that the car was impounded due to unauthorized parking as indicated by the KTL auto storage. If Wells Fargo decided to repossess the vehicle because they thought I had financial difficulty, they were absolutely wrong. In fact they admitted I was never late in making the payments.

Wells Fargo has now added additional repossession fees to my account and have sold the car for the fraction of the car’s value and demanding a deficiency balance from me. It is clear that Wells Fargo had no authorization to pick up the car from the storage facility to repossess the vehicle due to unauthorized parking. I received no prior communication from Wells Fargo by phone, email or a letter notifying me of their intent to repossess the car. They could have easily contacted me to find out about my intentions in picking up the car but chose not to do so because this was not in their best interest. After almost 4 years of making on-time payments, majority of the interest on the loan if not all must had been paid and I would have not allowed this car to be repossessed for any reason.

I truly believe that Wells Fargo Dealer Services has been unfair, misleading and discriminated against me in lending practices and has violated a federal consumer protection law and regulation. This is clearly an unjust Repossession bank practice. As you are aware OCC Assessed $500 Million Penalty against Wells Fargo, for Unsafe or Unsound Practices on 4/20/2018. This case is a clearly an example of Wells Fargo unwarranted and unsound practices. I understand Wells Fargo Auto is a division of Wells Fargo Bank, N.A.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo Auto Loans?

Original review: April 5, 2019

We traded in our auto which was still under financing with Wells Fargo. We have proof they were paid in full (copies of checks) and FedEx tracker, proof of receipt that 2 payoff checks were received and NONE of this matters. Wells Fargo has called us every day this week demanding payment. Their own website is showing payment in full. There is something sinister with this company. I am going to seek an attorney to try and get these calls to stop. I have saved the voice mails. The damn loan has been paid for 5 days now but the calls are sometimes 5 a day. It harassment.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I wanted to purchase an auto and was pre-approved through Wells Fargo. Then I was asked to submit 2 years of tax returns along with 2 years of corporate returns for my company. All this for an auto loan. My credit is great and I have a ton of car credit history, but yet I was thrown through loop after loop. I even went as far as submitting W2s and paycheck stubs because I also get paid as an employee. In the end none of it was good enough and I was denied the loan. The last two weeks of going back and forth with them has been a nightmare and a complete waste of time! Never again and lesson learned! Now I know why I hear that everyone says to stay clear of this bank!!!!

Original review: March 13, 2019

How can a bank provide monthly statements without a remaining account balance? They also fail to provide correct transaction history on the statements. They have a name and fairly good auto loan rates at the time of my purchase, but I don't have confidence in this bank to service my loan.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I have a lemon SUV that I'm current on payments with. I'd like them to allow it to be salvaged while I continue payments. Wells Fargo tells me the option is to have it repossessed. Now they refuse to pick it up and I can't have it salvaged due to the loan. They have the poorest of customer service, simply telling me "it's up to discretion what to do with the vehicle." What are my options?! Exactly. I will be telling everyone to avoid banking with them. Absolutely terrible, they obviously don't care about their customers and retaining them, hope you enjoyed the last payment 'cause that's all you'll get at this point.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I got approved for a 10,000 loan. All was good for the 1st 2 yrs then I ran into some hard times, my son's father paid my account. Brought it current when I fell behind on 2 payments, these people still went and debited my account taking another payment from me of 300 that wasn't even due. My account became overdrawn. Stuff was bouncing when > went to my bank wells fargo to get it all straightened out. I was told even though they are wells fargo they are totally separate from the bank itself, the branch manager at my bank reversed my overdraft fees and called the auto loan department to get them to put the money back in my account after reviewing it was paid and current and they refused stating they have the right to debit my account 2 times in the effort to collect funds paid or not even though I was ahead of my payments. They continued to debit my account till I finally closed it out.

When I became homeless and needed to work out payments with them their csr said, "Well if you are homeless you should have no problem paying your payment." they are horrible, have no compassion and do not work with the customer. I offered them a pay off of half the amount owed and they refused. They took the car at 3000 owed and added it to my credit repost with derogatory comments showing different amounts owed from 3000 to 1200. They are a joke and they will screw up your credit in a big way! DO NOT GO TO THEM FOR A LOAN IF YOU'RE SMART. They are crooked and your loan amount if you add up all you have paid will show different in their favor. SOMEONE IS POCKETING A FEW 100 DOLLARS. BEWARE!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

They had many red flags with names not matching and a $1477 over the payoff amount from a dealership you would double check and make sure they were applying it to the right account. This did not happen so they paid off my truck and sent the title to a dealership that I have never been to and a check for over $1477. I got the letter on Dec 31 along with the check. When I called I was told it was done in error by one of their people and that the title information has already been sent to the RMV. So not only could this dealership come and take my truck from me with the title I also was afraid to drive it as I was no longer the owner and not sure if my registration was still valid so I lost out on New Year's Eve with my family. My other half lost out on 3 HVAC jobs and they did nothing to fix it but get my title back after 13 days and only started to get my title after I called again 3 days later and never once got a call back from the manager like I was suppose to.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Got a car loan through them over 6 years ago and paid off over 20,000 on a loan, with only 4,000 left to pay they sent to a collection agency after not accepting payment arrangements on the last 4,000 or accepting a buyout I requested. The worst company I have ever been subjected to. Do not do a loan through them!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I've financed multiple cars and always keep track of my balance. However, I wasn't informed of the type of car loan Wells Fargo provided to me nor was it explained even though I inquired about early payoff penalties. Wells Fargo loan they provided to me wasn't like typical loans. They lead me to believe the balance showing online include interested and finance charges for the length of my loan.

I financed my car for 5 years and with 2 years remaining, I wanted to pay it off in full. Online it showed I owed 12K and like other loans, when paying it off early, that 12K amount would be reduced since I'm paying off early and eliminating 2 years of interest. To my surprise, Wells Fargo told me I owe, 13k to pay it off. They explained that's the loan I signed and nothing I can do about. The person from the Office of the President at Wells Fargo couldn't tell me how my loan was set up and basically called me to tell me that I signed the contract so I have to deal with it. She clearly has dealt with others with similar situations not being informed of the type of way the interest is accumulated and that the online price doesn't include interest for the length of the loan. She also agreed that it was misleading but I signed the contract and that was on me to continue to make payments.

Please don't allow the lower interest fool anyone to do business with Wells Fargo. My neighbor is filing a complaint with them for a different reason but the COMMON TREND was we were but not informed or mislead to doing business with this company. Buyers beware-- do not do business with Wells Fargo! Nothing, not even banking! There is a reason why the top executives have been fired for their bad business practices! Office of president, Cynthia, is untrained on customer service and the hold concept of helping is a joke!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

Was laid off and took time to get a new job. At first they were understanding as I was catching up with my payments. Really thought they were very helpful as they didn't really give any push back and will take my payments. Recently, I tried making a payment and they refused it, was told I needed to speak with my account manager. Days, weeks passed no callback and now I'm in charge off status.

Told the person in that department what can we do to fix this problem as I am not refusing to pay but rather catch up. She told me to pay off the whole balance, if I had the money to pay off the balance I would had paid it off a while ago. Said I can only make this go away by paying off the balance, refinancing (which is a joke. No bank or lender wants to refinance, but they WILL approve you for a new loan) or trading it with a dealer. I only want to finish paying off my loan. Really sucks how this bank takes advantage of your misfortune. Wish I would had known how this bank was before deciding to finance with them.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

God forbid any of corporate big shots fall on hard times. They do not work with anyone. We fell behind because of medical bills. So they say they are repossessing the car. That was in June. They think we can pay it off. If I had over 21,000 I would of paid it off. Let's just see if I can pull it out of my butt. They said I qualified for an hardship loan. That was a joke! They said they don't look at scores or back payments. But on the reject letter those were the first two things listed as why it was decide. We still drive it. It's the only vehicle we have. We can make payments now but they don't want to do that. They will not get what they want out of it so I will still be paying on a car either way I go. They keep pushing Carmax to sell it back too. We are not driving over 300 miles to try that. That company is in their back pocket cause they keep pushing it. If you can keep from it do not deal with this company. I'm regretting it everyday.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

In April 2018 I purchased a 2016 Dodge Caravan from a car dealership with a loan from Wells Fargo Dealer Services. In August 2018 I considered selling the vehicle and entered into a settlement with Wells Fargo Dealer Services; that after selling them the unused portion of my extended warranty (approx. $2400), which I did in September 2018… the debt would be approximately $16,400.

The same car dealership was willing to buy back the vehicle for $13,000 and I made up a bank check for the difference in price so that they would send Wells Fargo the total of $16,400 that was owed, as per the settlement. But when Wells Fargo faxed the bill to the car dealership, they faxed them the amount of approx. $18,800, not the settlement amount. I made about two dozen phone calls to Wells Fargo, spoke to about seven different representatives, all were in agreement that the settlement amount was correct, but they continually faxed the higher amount to the car dealership. Finally, a representative stated that the higher amount would have to be paid and the car dealership would be reimbursed for the difference.

This of course was unacceptable to the car dealership. I explained to numerous Wells Fargo Dealer Services representatives that I needed to sell the vehicle because in a few days I would leave the country, but they insisted this was the only way. On September 29, 2018, as a last attempt to pay Wells Fargo Dealer Services, I visited a local Wells Fargo Bank and spoke to the bank manager (who I understand was not connected to the subdivision), and related my situation. The bank manager was nice enough to make a telephone call to Wells Fargo Dealer Services and spoke to a manager.

After a frustrating hour and a half, the bank manager lost patience and turned the telephone over to me. I made it clear that I wanted to pay the settlement amount of $16,400, but after October 1, 2018 the vehicle would be left at my daughter-in-law´s driveway. I explained that this is not a good option for either Wells Fargo Dealer Services or for me. The Wells Fargo Dealer Services manager did not seem to care either way.

I notified Wells Fargo Dealer Services numerous times thereafter where the vehicle would be parked so that it may be returned. On November 8, 2018 the vehicle was picked up. Now my credit rating has dropped and I am considered a bad debt. I do not understand how Wells Fargo Dealer Services can remain in business with such practices and poor customer service.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

My vehicle was a total loss from hurricane Florence and with my insurance and GAP my vehicle will be paid off. For 21 days Wells Fargo prolong on my insurance and now the payment is due for my loss vehicle so I contact Wells Fargo to check on the progress 6 days later. I then was told because I refinance my loan with the same bank Wells Fargo to lower my payments that my GAP insurance which is incorporated into my loan is not valid once I refinance my loan. I asked why I was not told that when I refinance or better 27 days ago and her response was "Are you making a payment". I told that my GAP insurance is still active. Can they at least send over the information that they need and she stated that I have to do that myself.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Over 9 months ago I purchased a new car and the dealership submitted the payoff amount to the wrong financing company, which resulted in paying off the wrong vehicle. 9 months later I am still waiting for resolution. WFDS reported the loan status incorrectly and my credit score just dropped over 300 points. My whole fiasco began December 29, 2017 when purchasing a vehicle. During the course of the evening, my husband happened to be looking at vehicles. He provided his vehicle financing information to his sales clerk at the same time I submitted mine. I did end up purchasing a vehicle that evening and my husband did not. Somehow, the dealership submitted the payoff amount to the wrong financing company, which resulted in paying off the wrong vehicle.

A few weeks later, I noticed that my automatic payments were being returned. Upon a little digging, I realized what had occurred. I called the dealership and Wells Fargo Dealer Services right away. The dealership told me that they would handle things on their end. WFDS told me that my original loan account was closed and even if I wanted to make a payment, I could not because a loan did not exist anymore. I continued to try to make payments from that ultimately were returned to me because the Wells Fargo account was deemed paid in full and was closed. Since January 2nd, I have called WFDS probably close to 60 times and have emailed the one and only internal contact that I have at WFDS, to simply ask that my loan be reinstated and revised to reflect a new maturity date (pushed back now going on 9 months now) and my payment due to be $546.83.

Fast forward to June 2018. Unexpectedly, I received a bill from WFDS. The bill stated that my payment was due on 1/13/18, the maturity date has not changed and the bill included 6 months of supposed late payments. The bill also included fees and charges accrued. The bill showed that my so-called aka non-existent account was reinstated (without my knowledge), was delinquent and that I was expected to pay the entire amount, in full. The letter also stated that WFDS reported the unpaid balance to the credit bureaus. I was shocked to have received this bill especially since I received no verbal communication from WFDS. My account has always been good standing and I never once had a late payment.

After I emailed and called about this bill, the account was once again closed. However, the account was and still is listed as delinquent and is in charge off status. Because of this, my credit score has been negatively impacted by over 300 points. Not only is my credit score now in the mid 500’s, my husband’s vehicle has continued to depreciate over the past 9 months and the amount owed remains the same.

According to WFDS, due to “unusual nature of this situation”, my account was escalated to the WFDS Office of the President in June. My account has sat pending, under their review since. Both the dealership and WFDS have admitted they are both to blame, apologized for their lack of communication and the fact that this issue has taken so long to resolve. All the while, I have sat waiting for closure, listening to lip service. WFDS specifically said that my original loan account was closed so even if I wanted to make a payment I could not, because a loan did not exist anymore.

Over the past several months, I have reached out, multiple times a day, leaving more voicemails than I can count. I have left messages for Brandon ** who is supposedly my account manager, Lorraina ** (Brandon’s supervisor and department manager), and Gail ** (director of the entire department). To date, I have not received a phone call from Gail to whom I left multiple voicemails begging for assistance.

Out of those calls, I received a phone call back from Brandon. He apologized for the delay in finding resolution and told me that my account was moved to “the top” and is sitting on a senior leader’s desk for their review. Brandon did advise me that they were supposedly working with the dealership to have them pay for the past 9 months of my payments for their error, as a courtesy. This was several weeks ago and several more voicemails ago. At this point, I do not care how long it takes for WFDS to figure out how they want to proceed. I want my credit situation resolved.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

Hello Melissa ** - Senior Vice President Head of the Office of the President. I just got off the phone with your August 13, 2018 collections team lead Alex **. He advised that as of tomorrow my auto loan account will be charged off for 120 days past due if a payment is not made today. Alex states that I owe from April to the present and the account is considered past due of 120 days past due. He advised that WFDS Case ID:** was closed and the account was placed back to his collection department. Mrs. ** I just received the letter from you referencing case ID: ** stating the following, "It is our goal to complete the necessary research and provide you with a response by 08/17/2018." Today is 08/16/2018 but the case was closed by The Office of The President on August 12, 2018 for collections to begin. However, no response from research was never provided to me as per your letter sent to me states.

At this time the vehicle has been placed in charge off status by Wells Fargo Dealer Services. Once again this proves what I stated in previous complaints about Wells Fargo Dealer Services constantly closing cases before implementing an investigation/research in effort push blame on me the paying consumer when the fault and issues lies with WFDS. Please help me understand the following: 1. How can I owe for April with you received a full payment via money order. Your Duluth bank branch customer service rep Ricky ** faxed that proof of payment to you. I received in the mail yesterday a letter from your WFDS Credit Bureau Dispute Resolution Team stating the following, "The above referenced account has been updated to remove the 60 day delinquency reporting for the month of April 2018, however a 30 day delinquency will continue to report for the month of April 2018."

2.How can the month of April be reported 30 days delinquent if you received April's payment for the month of April? If all months from January 2018 to April 2018 was received within the months they were owed how can I be 30 days delinquent? Also due to your error WFDS applying my January 2018 payment to the wrong account and (you had to correct that error) means I am not 30 days delinquent for the month of April. 2a) Why will April 2018 still be reported as 30 days delinquent? 2b) Why are my other case complaints not being addressed.

Please provide an explanation for the following: 1. Why is April still being reported as 30 days delinquent? 2. Why is collections still telling me the system shows my auto loan account 120 days delinquent if you corrected it to 30 days delinquent? In which, I state that there should be no delinquencies reported from July 2017 to April 2018. 3. Where is that cash money for November 23, 2017 of payment made for 624.00. Only $512.89 was applied to the auto loan. $112.00 cash was not applied to my auto loan. This payment was paid at your Lawrenceville GA branch.

Three cases were opened and continues to be closed without research. Case ** was the last case opened at the Lawrenceville bank branch on June 6/25/2018. But no one will pull the surveillance tapes as I requested multiple times to see what transpired at that teller counter. Instead Wells Fargo Lawrenceville branch keeps closing the case with no research as if WF has something to hide. 3a). When will the surveillance tape for 11/23/2017 be pulled and report the finds to me?

4. When I receive proof that CPI Premium was credited back to my account? I did follow up on this account at your Duluth bank branch with Mr. Ricky ** on August 3, 2018. We called the Office of The President and was told that Maria who was handling my complaint was not available to speak to us but was in the office. 5. Why have I not received any updates from Maria as to where my complaint stands and what has been done to address these issues? Moreover, I received in the mail two weeks ago a letter from your WFDS Credit Bureau Dispute Resolution Team stating the following, " Wells Fargo Dealer Services has submitted a request to Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion to update the above referenced account. The updates are February 2018 and May 2018 to 30 day delinquency, and May 2018, June 2018 to 60 day."

6. How can February 2018 be reported as 30 day delinquency if you received February 2018 payment in February? 7. Where was the missing money that was misapplied by WFDS causing all these erroneous late fees to be assessed to my auto loan applied to May 2018 and June 2018 bringing the account to be owed for July 2018 and August 2018? 8. Where has all of my money paid been applied to? Feel free in contacting me via email or by contacting me by phone. Best Regards Faye ** and Gavin **. PS: BBB Case ** and to Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Case# **, and ** OCC Case # **, office of the Comptroller of Currency Case ID#:**.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

I am providing an update to this case and BBB case number **. I am also adding to my rejected statement stating why I am rejecting the response received from Jessica ** Office of the President representative. My husband and I went back to the Duluth Branch to follow up on case results of surveillance camera. We also went over the payment history received from Wells Fargo Dealer Services in the mail. We went over this information with Mr. Ricky ** Customer Care Representative at the Duluth branch who worked with us on this matter back on Thursday May 24, 2018.

Since Jessica and Wells Fargo Dealer Services personnel and the Office of the President personnel continues to proclaim not receiving certified mailed copies of payments and scanned in emailed copies of payments made to Wells Fargo Dealer Service account payable we brought that same certified mailed in documents and copies of payments made. Wells Fargo Dealer Services on my truck note to the Duluth branch to have the branch manager review and fax to Wells Fargo Dealer Services. My husband Gavin and I brought in all copies of our payments made and letters mailed to Wells Fargo Dealer Services. The copies of the payments paid since October 2017 to present April 2018. Mr. Ricky ** assisted us by contacting Wells Fargo dealer Service to discuss the incorrect payment history received in the mail from Jessica ** (Office of the President Representative).

We spoke with Gregg ** ID ** in collections on June 29, 2018. He stated our auto loan is 105 days past due. Of course we disputed that being that there are missing payments and incorrectly applied partial payments which were full payments that Wells Fargo Dealer Services decided to place some of my auto payments in a holding account (whatever that is). Per Mr. Gregg ** ID ** he stated we were 105 days past due with a credit in the holding account of 391.77 from overages and shortage payments made. Mr. ** went over the payment history with Duluth branch CSR Mr. Ricky **, myself and Gavin. Mr. ** sated the following is what he saw per the payment history: Oct. 26- received $550.00 - Branch Payment Nov 22 - received $ 512.89 - Branch Payment - in which is we disputed and stated that we made payment of $624.00. and that 112.00 is missing and believe by us that those funds were stolen.

December 22 - received $512.00 - branch payment January 19 - received $512.89 telephone payment. Per Mr. ** this payment was reversed off on January 23 due to no found account. At that time Mr. Ricky ** asked do he not see a money order payment for that month for $512.00 Mr. ** responded no. No payment was received for the month of January. Myself and my husband Gavin disputed this. We provided the copy of the money order, in which was mailed into accounts payable. It was also sent to Jessica and other personnel in the Office of the President at Wells Fargo Dealer Services and sent within the certified mailed documents that was signed for. So this was marked as issue missing payment number 2. February 22 - received $512.00 money order payment. Per Mr. ** employee ID ** stated this payment received was applied to the month of December.

This is also what Jessica placed in her corresponding letters to me and the BBB Case ** and to Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Cas# ** and OCC Case # **, office of the Comptroller of Currency Case ID#:**. Jessica ** stated,"You expressed concern about a missing payment that was not applied to your account in February 2018 in the amount of $ 512.00. Based on the information you provided to us we were able to identify the transaction and found that we did receive a payment for $ 512.00 that posted on February 22, 2018 and was applied towards the December 16, 2018 installment."

Please help me understand why would February 22, 2018 payment received be applied to December if December 2017 payment of 512.00 was already received and applied to December? Where did my first applied branch payment for December $512.00 payment go to? We will mark this as issue missing/stolen payment number 3. March 26 - received $513.00 - Money Order Payment April - Per Mr. ** there was no payment received. My husband and I disputed this as well. We provided the copy of the April Money Order that was mailed to Wells Fargo Dealer Services Accounts Payable to Mr. Ricky ** - Branch CSR. He then confirmed with Mr. ** from Collections if he sees that April money order and Mr. ** stated, "No." This is the same copy of April money order that was emailed to Jessica and other personnel members in the Office of the President.

However, all deny receiving it within the scanned in copies of dispute letter, bank statement and copies of all payment receipts from the bank and all money order payments in question that were emailed multiple times. At this point Mr. ** requested for a copy of proof of payment for December's payment, January's payment and April's payment. Mr. Ricky ** faxed all to Dealer Services Support Services regarding account#: **. These documents were faxed from the Duluth branch on 6/29/2018. Last issue, if my account is supposedly 105 days past due why is there a credit of 391.77 in a holding account? Why was I not notified of this money being stashed in a separate account I know nothing about? Will I receive the interest off of this money being stashed in this holding account Wells Fargo Dealer Services created?

Also, per the payment history received in the mail from Wells Fargo Dealer Services l why was is charged for CPI PREMIUM in February 2017 when I has full coverage on my truck? You charged me $755.00 for this premium. Why was I not asked for proof of insurance before this premium was assessed to my account? Why was CPI Premium of $755.00 not credited back to my auto loan account? My husband and I will consider this as issue of missing funds from account number 4 and 5. At this time we are pending for payment research to be completed in 7 to 10 business days. It is of no surprise to me that Jessica and Wells Fargo Dealer Services is always in a hurry to close cases while in the middle of an extensive investigation. Jessica did not even allow a response from me in which I had up to 5 days to accept or reject the response provided.

Jessica closed the case the same day she submitted the response letter. Do understand Wells Fargo Dealer Services can continue to try and convolute matters by constantly closing cases forcing me to have to reopen a new case. It is my opinion Wells Fargo Dealer Services want to try and make it difficult for me to keep track of all the cases they closed prematurely. Do understand that I am keep track of all cases closed and opened. I will get to the bottom of finding this money that is summing over two thousand dollars and that includes erroneous accessed fees placed on my account due to Wells Fargo fraudulent accounting practices. I did open a new case#:**. This one replaces the one Jessica closed on June 21, 2018. This new case was opened by Darlene - customer Service Rep in the Office Of The President.

I spoke with her on June 26, 2018. I have numerous of times asked and requested for these wrongfully applied late fees accessed to be credited back and taken off my account. This account is behind due to your misapplied payments methods, not applying received payments properly and placing received moneys in a holding account without my knowledge was caused by your corrupted accounts payable/accounting department personnel and your bank branch staff. Also, you have destroyed my credit standings by falsely reporting 8 negative remarks about my auto loan that is not 105 days late. I am asking for this to be corrected and cleaned up with all 3 credit bureaus

Resolution Request: Wells Fargo Dealer Services to correct all missing/not applied funds we have sent to you. Correct my credit for you have reported 8 negative credit reporting in which has affected my credit scoring and my ability to obtain credit extended to me. Remove all late fees off my account and bring back to good standings as it was.

I wish to be released from this loan as paid in full status. This has been the worst most stressful experience I have had in dealing with Wells Fargo branches and Wells Fargo Dealer Services. Your constant harassment and rude attitudes received from your collections department and customer service, and threats from you stating repossession of my truck etc. Prosecute the person who stole my 112.00 for my November 23, 2017 payment of 624.00. Requesting a written apology for all the issues and wrongful accounting methods implemented on this account. CPI Premium of $755.00 to be credited back to my auto loan account. PS: BBB Case ** and to Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Cas# ** and OCC Case # **, office of the Comptroller of Currency Case ID#:**.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I will give this company a -100 if I could. So I wake up on Wed. morning Aug. 1 my birthday and see my car is gone. I call 911 since I thought it was stolen, they told me it had been REPOSSESSED! I was in shock. I just made a payment two weeks prior thinking how could this happen. No notice or anything. I call Wells Fargo Dealer Services and long story short THEY HAD BEEN APPLYING MY PAYMENTS TO ANOTHER ACCOUNT, which resulted in my car being repossessed. I was sooo pissed! So here it is a week later and I still don't have my car. It has been released and all but Wells Fargo won't agree to pay the $200 to tow it back... ONLY $200!!! I have a claim with The Office of the President and my rep is amazing (Rodney **) however there are some things that are out of his hands. He cannot get in contact with the department that approves the fee to have my car towed back.

Yes I will get reimbursed for my rental car and all the expenses but this is UNACCEPTABLE and should never ever happen to anyone who is making their payments on time. Like I said I still don't have my car and I'm incurring rental fees and all. So since my pockets are running on low paying for the rental car I will have to drive 60 miles out to get my car that should have never been taken in the 1st place. Both my husband and I will have to take off work to go and pick up. This is insane and unbelievable. They should have just paid the $200 to have the car sent back and would have avoided all the extra expenses they have to now pay me back for. AVOID GETTING A LOAN FROM THEM AT ALL COST... BECAUSE IT WILL COST!

Original review: July 19, 2018

I went in to either take over payments on a vehicle that was on the cusp of repossession or to get a loan for the balance payoff so I could get myself a great deal on a small used car. The date was Monday, July 2nd, and the current owner and her Power of Attorney I guess met me at the bank. We sat down with I'm guessing the Manager, Wendy **, and both have information. The customers POA said she had been told at an earlier meeting at the branch that the payments could be taken over if the customer would allow me to do that. Clementine ** had no objection to my doing that but we were told by Wendy that it could not be done. The customer and her attendant left for lunch about an hour after we got there. I sat across from Wendy and waited for an answer.

I was not certain if there was a computer issue or what but she told me I could go ahead and go and that as soon as she got the answer for the loan that she would call me or email me. Doing what I was asked to do, I went to my home and waited. I had left her office at approximately 1:40 PM and 2 hours later I had heard nothing so I called the branch. I left my name and number with a lady and about 20 minutes later the same lady called me back to say she was sorry but the loan had been denied. It aggravated me number one that the person I had done business with was not the one to call me back. I found it odd that two weeks before that I could have bought a brand new vehicle elsewhere with payments of $280.00 per month for 78 months but at this place I was denied a loan for $8600.00. I have not had a vehicle payment since Noah's Ark, and I've never financed or had banking business at Wells Fargo.

I just assumed that since the vehicle loan was already there I could just pick up and finance there. I proceeded to ask the lady that called me back "do I not have any other options to get this vehicle? Can I not get a cosigner or apply a down payment to be able to get THIS vehicle?" Her response was "oh yes you can do that on a vehicle loan but you would need to come in and fill out new loan documentation"... I let it go then. I didn't want to but I did until now. You see this vehicle belongs/belonged to a lady at a nursing home where I work and she was selling it. She owed $8600.00 on this vehicle.

I have a high debt to income ratio which comprises my credit rating but it does not mean that I don't pay my bills monthly, above and beyond, on to me and always. I was also told I would receive explanation through the mail as to why my loan was denied and I have yet to see that. It was such a great deal that maybe someone at the branch pulled the rug from under me... That's the only way I'm left to see it. Vehicles are a dime a dozen, but I will NEVER bank at Wells Fargo. Thank you Wendy ** for absolutely nothing.

Original review: July 13, 2018

When I was three months behind on my auto loan I called Wells Fargo and told them that I had the full amount to cover the three months and pay current month, they denied my payment and told me that I had to pay the full amount owed ($18,000), and that was my only option, ridiculous right? Then I called again a couple days later and someone else told me that I had to either pay the full amount or do a trade in. They suggested CarMax, so I did, and of course when it came to it CarMax and Wells Fargo couldn't complete a transaction...

Fast forward a year later, I still have the car at home, of course a payment hasn't been made, I'm still paying full coverage car insurance and registration, and the car is just parked since I do not feel comfortable driving it. I've called Wells Fargo numerous times and they refuse to work anything out and/or pick up the car. All they tell me is that is has an order for repossession and it's just a matter of time for it to get picked up... terrible!!

Original review: June 18, 2018

I bought a car with this bank. When I got the car my payoff was $42,000 dollars, 2 years later they want to repo my car even though in 2 years I have paid them $20,000 already but they want to claim that I have not been making my payments. And when I wanted to refinance my car they told me they don't refinance cars. At one point they had problems with the real estate because they took millions of dollars of customer and now it looks like the is car season for them. I will never recommend this bank to anyone, poor customer service, and thieves.

Original review: May 28, 2018

When I initially went to purchase a new vehicle, Wells Fargo dealer services gave me a loan. However my credit was not great. 1 year later, my credit has been cleaned up and my score is higher along with consistent payments for car loan. I applied with Wells Fargo dealer services to refinance, and they denied me, saying that my score was too low... This company is horrible, my score is higher and credit is so much better than it was. I am going back to a credit union to bank with.

Original review: May 15, 2018

My car was repossessed Sunday at 4:00 AM. A repo guy was driving street to street reading license plates to find car that he to take. My credit report and my bank records indicate that I am current. In December they called me and said, I was 1/2 a payment ahead so why not pay the other half now and be a month ahead. This would indicate that I was NOT 3 months behind them. I am made sure I was current by paying 3 months of payment over a 6 week period. SO... I was not 3 months behind. My car is in a lot, they want over $800 from me. PLUS even if I pay my car may be sold a auction. I had to pay $50 to go to the my license plates off of the car.

Original review: May 10, 2018

I purchased a used Mustang in April 2015. I asked for history and if there were any problems with car. I was given a report saying there were none. I obtained financing through the dealer where I signed a retail sales installment contract. The dealer made me come back and redo the contract putting more money down. I thought I was good to go until I started receiving numerous letters from banks saying my loan was denied. I contacted dealer and advised I did not authorize them to do this and they were ruining my credit. With the threat of suing and returning the car the dealer said they would honor the contract and financing with them.

About a week later I received a letter from Wells Fargo Dealer Services saying they denied the original "loan" application and were changing the terms and now had approved a "loan" for the vehicle and to start making payments to them. Without thinking any further about this at the time I made the payments. In July 2016 I received a recall notice from Ford about the Takata Airbag Recall. My vehicle has both the driver and passenger side airbags that are under the recall. To date they still have not been fixed. I contacted Wells starting in December 2017 and informed them about the recalls and issues. They asked for all of the documentation I had and said they would review it with their "legal" department and do everything they could to help.

Several months later they responded saying in a letter that although it is a manufacturer defect they were and are not willing to help in any way. I had previously asked for a refi about 6 months after making payments and they refused with no explanation. I have literally sent over 20 complaints to Wells Fargo Dealer, Atty General, NHTSA, Office of Comp Controller, Consumer Finance, anyone I could possibly think of and to date no resolution. Wells Fargo has denied every single request I have asked for, including help with the "loan" and even if they could get the dealer to simply disable the airbags.

I am still fighting for some resolution. The last response from Wells Fargo was on May 7, 2018 finally responding to the refi request saying they apologized for the delay, mind you the refi request was made in 2016, and that I should apply for a Hardship Refi since I wasn't making the payments. They still know the car is part of a major recall, is defective, is on non-op status and all they want is money, and have sent a repossession letter and want to repo car. I have asked for the so called "loan" documents and have not received them. Wells Fargo simply purchased the retail sales installment contract and is trying to enforce the contract even though they know the car is defective.

Their customer service is no help, every time I call the Office of the President I get a different titled rep rep saying they've opened a case and will respond within 10 business days. I've have received letters from numerous different people from the collections department and the office of the president yet I have never been able to speak with even heard from anyone with some type of legal authority to make a decision about this problem. I have since closed my accounts I've had with them in the past and will not pay for a defective vehicle or on a "loan" when there is no loan. My complaints are all on file with Consumer Finance Protection Bureau, which are public, and they Atty General's Office.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Bought a truck at a dealer who does not have a very good reputation. I found out after buying truck. Had a lot of problems with it...then got behind in loan...did a hardship loan. Was denied because credit was not good. Only difference in my credit was the truck I was trying to refinance. My credit was the same when they gave me the original loan. Did a volunteer surrender of vehicle and the week they were supposed to come get they called said truck wasn't worth enough for them to come get it...and do what I want with it but I still owe on loan. I am 174 days behind because of seasonal work. They won't come get vehicle. And they call just about every day or other day given me a hard time about the loan. Not sure what to do at this time. Wells Fargo is a poor choice for loans.

Original review: April 8, 2018

3 years ago I started paying back a loan to Wells Fargo Dealer Services... very little has gone to the principal. The value of the car is around 4500 and I still have an extra 5500 in interest owed. The dealer will not work with me. The Bank said that's what I signed and agreed to... They offered a refinance if I dropped cash towards principal but it would lower my payment about $10 a month. I've never been late. I pay early. I pay extra and it's not doing much at all. Very unhappy. I'm stuck in this loan. They take advantage of people. I cant go to any other bank to get better interest because the interest owed is more than the principal.

Original review: April 4, 2018

The WORST company ever to have a loan with. The customer service has been lying to me and giving me the runaround for 4 months now regarding trying to get my title. I moved out of state and needed a copy to register the vehicle in FL, they said they lost it but would look into it to get me a copy. I keep calling back every few weeks and am told a different story by every person I speak with! I pay off the loan a year early in order to get the title and they still give me the runaround! They are liars and I am so angry with them. I am closing my Wells Fargo bank accounts as of tomorrow. I ended up having to go back to the VA DMV (online and telephone) to PAY for them to send me the title! Don’t trust this company with your loans!!!

Wells Fargo Auto Loans expert review by Lauren Fix

Wells Fargo is one of the most widely recognized names in the finance and lending world. They have been in business for over 20 years and have a large, nationwide team.

• Low rates: Wells Fargo is known for being able to offer customers with good credit histories loans with extremely low rates compared with other auto loan companies. Current customers of Wells Fargo Bank can receive discounted rates.

• Refinancing: In addition to securing loans, they also help applicants manage their payments and find ways to lower their monthly payments.

• Auto equity: Wells Fargo helps customers to get a loan for debt consolidation using the equity of their car.

• Easy application process: The company makes it easy for customers to apply online with a simple online application form that only requires minimal personal and financial history information. This allows applicants to hear back about the company's decision right away. It’s easy to apply in as little as 5 – 10 minutes.

• Support: Their auto-loan specialists provide customer support in a myriad of forms, including online chat, phone, and e-mail. This makes it convenient for customers to receive support no matter what method of communication is best for them.

• Best for: Consumers with good credit, those looking to refinance their loan or those who want to consolidate their auto loan debt.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
    Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Wells Fargo Auto Loans Company Information