2. Finance
  3. Car Loans

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.36/5

Wells Fargo Auto Loans Reviews

Original review: Feb. 23, 2020

After my car was totaled and insurance paid I had a 2 pay balance. Paid one and tried to split second. Wrote check for half and mailed. 3 days later they take remaining amount!!!! BS Didn't want to do anything to help. Associates are useless as is the whole company. DO NOT utilize them.. Plenty of places to go. Thieves!!!!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

For a little over a year now, I have been going back and forth with this company about applying extra payments toward principal or making a larger principal only payment, and not as advance payment. The only way to pay extra towards principle is either through 1) ALP, which is not an option for me because I like to pay my bills on payday. 2) Go into a Wells Fargo branch, which is inconvenient for me as a caretaker, or 3) One time payment online, then call an agent and request that the extra amount be applied to principal, which is best suited for my situation.

This is my first auto loan with Wells Fargo. I did my first month's payment online in March of 2018 and paid a little more, thinking the extra would automatically be applied towards principal. My very first car I bought in 2012 was with a different loan company, and any extras I made on the payment online went directly to principal. So of course, I thought the same for Wells Fargo. WRONG!

After my payment posted, I notice that there was a payment variance. I had no idea what a payment variance was, so I called customer service. The agent had no idea either, so she put me on hold and consulted with her supervisor. She got back to me and explained that it was because I paid more on my monthly. That's why there's a payment variance. OK, so I paid the next month's bill, and that payment variance is still sitting in the account, so I called customer service again. This time I got a different response from a different agent. She explained that the payment variance does not get applied to the principal, and it pretty much just sits there until I put in a customer request to apply it to the principal.

Early on from there, I figured it would be too inconvenient to have to call an agent each time I wanted to make a one time monthly payment online and apply the extra towards principal, so I opted for ALP. I did the autopay until it no longer fit my situation; I went back to doing the one time payment online and call an agent each time to apply the extra payment toward principal only.

Now the real issue. Once I canceled the ALP, and started with the one time payment again, I trusted that the agents had entered my request correctly each time I called. I was very clear and concise about my request. To my surprise when logging in to check my payment history months later, many of the requests were processed as the regular monthly payment. The agent did not put in the request to apply the extra to principal, or the request entered by the agent was not clear so it got rejected by the receiving department. Due to the negligence, my payment variance got bigger and bigger, pushing out my due date further as advanced payment, interest accrued while I thought my principal balance was lowering. WRONG!

I caught on to this in the middle of 2019. I was very upset so I called customer service and spoke to many agents; each one telling me different things! Some not very competent, some great but it doesn't change the fact that I had to pay the daily interest on months that pushed out my due date. Getting transferred to an escalation team is of no use because I was put on hold for a VERY LONG time, so I had to hang up. No one responds to the emails either. I've sent multiple emails each time, but no response until I wrote a review online and Diane **, Exec Office Case Specialist finally reached out to me in 11/2019.

Since that conversation, I stopped making a one time payment with extra to go towards principal. It sort of forced me to just make my regular payment even if I really wanted to put extra towards principal. I didn't want to come across incompetent agents who can't process my request correctly. However, after two regular payments online and not being able to have that option to request extra towards principal without having to call an agent, I've decided to give it another try this year, and called an agent to make a payment.

On 1/24/20, I called customer service and was very clear to the lady that I wanted to apply a specific amount towards principal only. She asks if I had access to a computer and I said I'm on the payment page. She told me to go ahead and submit in the amount as a one time payment and she'll put the request in as principal only payment. Due to my bad experiences in the past, I was very concise with her and was assured the amount will all go towards principal.

Next day, 1/25/20, I logged in and payment had posted. It was processed as a regular payment, with a good amount as payment variance pushing my due date out as advanced payment! Not what I had requested! I had to call another agent (Monica) this morning to see what's going on and explained what I've been having to deal with. She checked and the previous agent never put in the request! This is what I have been dealing with! Monica said she will put in the request and it should be processed in 3-5 business days. These are the same answers I've been dealing with for the last year and having to make inconvenient repetitive phone calls.

Wells Fargo does not acknowledge that it's their fault or even investigate into it. When I was going through this consistently last year, I even emailed them and ask them to listen to their recordings because my requests are clear and concise. I wouldn't have to pay the unnecessary interest had their agents do their job correctly, or had they investigate into my requests and made adjustments accordingly to the original request date.

Thought I give them a second chance at this type of service this year to make things right, but it will never change. I'm going through the same headache with it! I guess I'm not the only person going through this because I just read other very similar reviews! Looks like Wells Fargo Auto will be moving to Wellsfargo.com soon. Hopefully there will be better options for making one time online payment that includes optional principal payment, and not just through ALP. Customers wouldn't have to deal with incompetent agents to put in their request that doesn't get processed anyway.

And if Wellsfargo decides not to have such option, at least have some sort of chat agent online so that there will at least be a transcript confirming the request. Customers receive no confirmation to over the phone requests entered by the agents, whether or not their requests are being processed or not! Do a better job Wells Fargo!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

This is my third and final loan with this company. I will pay a higher interest from another loan company to avoid Wells Fargo Loans. They do not allow you to pay extra on the principal online. You have to call them several days after you make the payment and instruct them to put the extra funds on the principal. If not they apply it to the interest for future payments resulting in the customer paying more interest over the life of the loan.

I have spent hours on the phone trying to get them to apply the extra payments to the principal and they continue to apply the payments correctly. While the customer service staff are courteous they don't seem to know what they are doing or worse yet following the corporate rules and misapplying funds to interest payment to improve Wells Fargo's bottom line. You can never seem to reach a supervisor by phone. I am currently on hold now for over 30 minutes for one and this is the norm. My recommendation is to never get a loan with this company as I have never had such a difficult time with any other lender.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

Have had my loan for several years (only 2 years left), never missed or late on a payment. I called to ask for a deferment. Was told you can have three in the lifetime of the loan, they must be one year apart and that I qualify. Never asked for one before. Was transferred to finance department where they hassled me on the reason. Gave several legitimate reasons and was told no for all of them. I see other reviews saying same thing, one even said she has CANCER and was going to be out of work!! Why bother offering something to make "it sound good" and then not honor it. A lot of other banks don't even ask a reason!! Know several people who have deferred a payment more than once, no problem from their bank. What a joke! I will never finance another car through from them. They don't care about their loyal paying customers.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

I have spent over 3 hours on the phone in the past 2 days trying DESPERATELY to get a lien release. Everyone I speak to has a different story and another hoop for me to jump through. Their customer service is incompetent and horrendous.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo Auto Loans?

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

I took a loan with them and never missed a payment. Have only 5 more payments to go. When I requested a deferment after making on time payments - they made the process very difficult. Then I received a call locally from their Buffalo office, of why I did not make a payment? I had to fax them I had an APPROVED deferment, or they were going to give me a hard time. Recently, I found out I had to have cancer surgery with a period of a few months recuperating. The customer service person supposedly discussed my need for a hardship with someone and said, "NO, we cannot help you. Find someone that will help you make the final payments." I was so very hurt and angry, I terminated the call. They have no compassion and could care less. Please go elsewhere.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

Wells Fargo will treat you as a number, they are rude and couldn't care less what your opinion is on customer service. I have a car loan with them mow, and I'm in the process of refinancing through a new lender. I don't have to put up with rude behavior.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

I sold a vehicle that I currently had a loan with Wells Fargo on. I sold my vehicle, and the private party's bank sent a check to Wells Fargo to payoff the vehicle. That way the title could be released. It took Wells Fargo 13 days to finally process the release of the lein so the new owners could get the vehicle registered. Wells Fargo doesn't care about the haste of what they do. They do not care about the consumer. I will never work with this company again.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

Called them 1 weeks after paying off my loan with all little charges they implement on the customer, asked them to mail out my loan release. Never got it, called them again. Maybe they could do it via FAX, they said it takes 3 days, never got it. Called again, sat on hold for 26 mins no one answered, and didn't get my loan release. New buyer of the vehicle can not register the vehicle and is being penalized every 24 hour having insurance on the vehicle. But the insurance will not open a policy without the plates which require registration "CATCH 22". And all because this ** bank won't do their job send as they should the simple letter of "Loan Release". May well be that I'll sue them for amount of penalty of the DMV.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

My vehicle was repossessed in error with NO FORMAL COMMUNICATION due to a WELLS FARGO representative. It took them almost three weeks to give my vehicle back. I had to rent a car so I asked for a reimbursement of what I spent for transportation. They offered me something that didn’t cover HALF of my expenses but I accepted it. My car was returned with mechanical issues I called SEVERAL times about with no resolve. I never received the check so I called about two weeks later & asked about it. A manager expressed to me, "Well, that is a courtesy check." How unprofessional and inconsiderate! It wasn’t a courtesy when they picked up my vehicle without calling first! So I decided to wait on the check.

Then the harassing phone calls began asking when I would make a payment on my loan! Wow! You had my vehicle for almost three weeks and then you have the nerve to tell me that the check was something nice they were doing for me then to turn around and continue calling me about a payment? Horrible! I don’t want this loan and I am telling everyone including the media about their horrible customer service and to NOT finance through Wells Fargo!

Wells Fargo Auto Loans Company Information