3.2/5 (651 ratings)

About Wells Fargo Auto Loans

Wells Fargo Auto Loans Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo Auto Loans?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo Auto Loans?

Original review: July 17, 2019

Wells Fargo Dealer Services offered good rate; however, I prefer a different lender. While I had excellent credit, dealership pushed WFDS. I continually have trouble with their website and always have to reset my password or get locked out. This is not for security of my information but FAULTY website. I believe ALL Banks should provide same low rate to people who work to maintain excellent credit rating. Boo to the three credit bureaus. THEY are not as accurate either!!

Original review: July 16, 2019

I refinanced my vehicle with a different bank. I brought my payoff check to a wells Fargo branch, who sent it in to dealer services for me. A month a half later and 2 internal Wells Fargo investigations, and they can't locate the check. Somehow this is my fault, they are charging me interest and late fees for the entire time they were dragging this out. Essentially, Wells Fargo has investigated wells Fargo and found that wells Fargo has don't nothing wrong. Horrible company, dishonest. Myself, my company and my family, will never do business with Wells Fargo again.

Original review: July 16, 2019

Me personally, I didn't have any major issues with my loan company Wells Fargo regarding the entire process. However, I do think I could have gotten a better deal with another company. My next car loan will be better researched.

Original review: July 15, 2019

I would not have thought of Wells Fargo when purchasing a car, but they came through with a great interest rate and lower payments than I expected so I am truly grateful to Wells Fargo. One thing I can tell anyone is do not count them out for your financial needs.

Original review: July 14, 2019

We know Wells Fargo has gotten negative reviews in the past, and some is for very good reasons. However, we got a good loan for our new car in 2016 and the customer service was excellent. We would not hesitate to use them again.

Original review: July 13, 2019

No problems with loan for 3 years. Very accommodating. Also, very low-interest rate. Almost paid for and the service has been great! Easy transaction right there at Volvo dealership. Wells Fargo has done a nice job!

Original review: July 11, 2019

WFDS has been a great servicer of my high interest loan. While I certainly disagree with being considered a poor credit risk, in the very few instances I dealt with them other than paying. (Convenient online hooked to checking account) They always are cordial and respectful. The one "issue" I have is that in my Chapter 7 discharge I affirmed this loan to keep my car. It is reported as discharged as opposed to current and on time. I could use the good creditor report toward my FICO etc scores.

Original review: July 10, 2019

This company has called me several times and told me my factory warranty had expired, then I called the dealership to find out it was still in forced. At one point I had a financial problem this company only tried to sell me a new car.

Original review: July 9, 2019

I paid off loan early, I should get a refund on the gap insurance, so far nothing. Otherwise the loan was uneventful, interest was high though. I don't think I would go with Wells Fargo again. When paid off they did process the paperwork quickly.

Original review: July 8, 2019

Had two auto loans with Wells Fargo. Got a good interest rate both times. They also are very efficient in the administration of the loan throughout the life of the loan. I would definitely use them again in the future.

Original review: July 2, 2019

I sold my car I have had for the last 4 years. In preparation for selling it, I went to my local Wells Fargo branch for guidance as I still had a lien on the vehicle. They told me I could come in to this branch and pay off the vehicle. So I sell it, bring in the cashier's check and I was told I had to mail the payment in and they couldn't accept it at the bank. So I OVERNIGHT the payment. That was 8 days ago. I called last week to turn off the auto payment on the account to make sure the payment wasn't take out on 7-2 when it was due next. Now eight days later, no payment has been applied to the account (I have delivery confirmation on 6-22-19) and the monthly payment was taken out. So I am paying almost $600 for a car I don't even own anymore.

The guy on the phone was rude, short, and 100% not helpful. He tells me that the CASHIER'S check was mailed back to me, but didn't know why? Oh, and this loan is accruing interest every single day that I also will have to pay. So now I am going to have to pay to send this Bank Issued Cashier's Check overnight again, and no one has a clue what is going on. I also tried calling Wells Fargo Dealer Services for many days and was on hold for over 30 minutes each time and one time, it just disconnected. They need some help with customer service and actually knowing what is going on. I am beyond frustrated right now. My vehicle is gone, I have a huge Cashier's check made out to the Bank that they won't accept, and I am still paying the monthly payment plus daily interest!!

Original review: June 7, 2019

I paid off my vehicle loan 2 months early, but they never released my vehicle title because they never entered the paperwork from where we moved states 3 years before. They did not call or send a letter to let us know that there was an issue with the paperwork and said they ignored it until I called asking to know where my title was 3 months after paying off the loan as I had not received it nor had it been released to the DMV. The automated phone service is terrible and can't manage to look up an account number or social security number for the loans.

Despite giving them an updated address to which they said they were to overnight mail the title as the mistake was on their end, they failed to have the correct address 10 days later when I called a second time to find out where my title is. I have used a few different loan services over the years and Wells Fargo is by far the worst. I wish I had refinance this loan with another company right away initially. Furthermore the amount that my records show I paid vs the amount they said I paid have discrepancies (ie, I appear to have been overcharged).

Original review: May 22, 2019

I applied for Wells Fargo Private party Auto Loan in early April. That process alone was a bad start. I uploaded necessary documents online that was needed to complete the loan process and some of the documents were rejected but I didn't know until I checked about 2 days later. Twice that happened with no communication for my "Loan representative". I got approved for the loan I wanted at $5000 and that gradually went up to close to $5500 as other charges were applied. Shouldn't a complete disclosure of charges be done upfront as it's a general loan and not applied gradually after 2 weeks? Finally got that done and went to nearest branch to complete the process.

Process on the first day went smoothly. Got a call the 2nd day that the seller was given too much money so I had to go back to give back close to $500 which of course is delaying the process again as the bank is not close to me and it is the weekend. So 2 days later I go back and return extra funds that they shouldn't have given in the 1st place. A few days later I call my loan representative for an update and he asks if no one calls me. Apparently the seller didn't fill out a few documents correctly and they didn't review them at the time and they have no contact information for him. I call the bank and of course it's true. Again a screw up on their part. They got his contact number but the rep that had it is not at work and they can't get in his desk and I no longer had it. So this goes on for another week.

The rep comes back and says he is trying to contact the seller. I get in contact with the seller as I found his number and call him. He says they did speak and they no longer need him. No one calls me to tell me this. I call a day later and it's confirmed so they then tell me it's no longer in the branch's hands I have to deal with the phone reps. Phone reps tell me they have to send my title to DMV and they take care of registration so the clock starts again at 5 to 10 tens to receive my title.

I call a week later for an update and I am told that because of state rules they cannot title my car. I have to do it myself so they will send it to me asap in 3 days. 3 days comes again I call back to get the same answer. I call back 2 days later to rep telling me that the dealer is slow sometimes..wait..I didn't use a dealer.... She didn't even fully read the notes regarding my account before she is telling me information that does not apply to me and again I am waiting just to simply receive my title to my car that has been sitting in my garage since April 2nd and it is now May 22nd. Worst experience ever and I advice all to stay away.

Original review: May 21, 2019

I would never get an auto loan with Wells Fargo again. I got a $13,000 loan with them for my Honda 3 year ago. I've paid the loan on time for the past 3 years down to $5500. I would now like to sell my Honda. The Honda is in near perfect condition. But in order to sell my Honda I have to find a buyer who is willing to pay off my loan. Okay no problem, except buyer and I (seller) cannot just go into a Wells Fargo branch, pay the loan, and get the title. In the state of Florida, at least, there is a 7-10 day waiting release period of the title to the DMV. Which means that I have to find a buyer who is willing to pay off my loan and then wait with no proof of purchase, because Wells Fargo does not have or provide such a document (I asked), and then the buyer has to wait up to 10 days for the vehicle title.

What kind of business model is this Wells Fargo? As a seller, I look like a sleazy con artist trying to get someone to pay off my car then drive off with it. When I explain this whole process to potential buyers it scares them off because who wants to deal with this? Honestly, I wouldn't want to deal with it as a buyer. Now I have to suffer as the seller. But of course, Wells Fargo wants to make it difficult for me to pay off my loan in because then they aren't making 85 cents a day off of me anymore. Well lesson learned Wells Fargo, I will never take a loan out with you or any other large bank again.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I was in a car accident in the beginning of February and my car was totaled. My insurance did not pay off the loan completely. I have been paying my monthly payments while working with the insurance company on a final settlement. I called Wells Fargo to see what arrangements we can work out in the meantime. The first person I spoke to offered 2-3 month deferment but had to transfer me. The guy I was transferred to was nothing but rude. Told me the first person was wrong and then started chastising me that I had missed a payment last October that I was delinquent. I tried explaining I had my current statement in hand and there was no past due amount and that I was sure I did not miss a payment. He had no interest in the current situation or resolving the matter at hand. HE WAS PLAIN RUDE AND OBNOXIOUS.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I was told we missed payments and when one was made it was insufficient funds. My bank statements show otherwise. Tried to get it fixed. Was sent to president office. Stephanie was my advisor. Rude, uncaring, cussed. Never had such a bad few months of customer service. Do not use Wells Fargo Dealer Services.

Original review: April 15, 2019

In 2015, from California where I have been residing I purchased the 2014 Dodge Dart vehicle, VIN# **…. License Plate No: FCV through a dealership in Texas for my daughter Hannah who resides in Houston Texas. I financed this vehicle through Wells Fargo Dealer Services. Since 2015 I have paid the monthly payments on time for her car without any interruption or delay in payments. In October 10, 2018 my daughter parked her car at her sister’s apartment complex in Houston while visiting her sister and a Towing Company towed her car and delivered it to KTL Auto Storage. In fact her car had been towed from the same complex twice before and we always managed to negotiate with the towing company and paid a small fee to have her car released. This time around they sent a letter notifying my daughter of the vehicle storage location and they also copied the same letter to Wells Fargo dealer services.

The letter indicated that if the car was not picked up by 26th of November 2018 they would sell the car in an auction to receive their impound fees. As soon as I was aware of the car having been impounded and the content of the letter with the deadline date, I contacted the KTL auto storage to arrange to pay the negotiated fees and have my daughter pick up her car. They informed me that Wells Fargo had already picked up the vehicle on November 8th, 2018, that is 18 days prior to the deadline! I clearly acted within the proper and allocated window prior to the date given by the KTL Auto Storage to have the car released back to my daughter however Wells Fargo had already taken the car in their possession in order to repossess the vehicle.

Later on when I contacted Wells Fargo dealer services, I was told they repossessed the car because the payments were delinquent. I informed them that during the past 4 years I have never been delinquent, not even once. I was told they would look into this matter and contact me back. They called back in few days and confirmed that payments have not been late and didn’t know why the car was picked up by Wells Fargo and stated there must have been a mistake! I tried several times contacting Wells Fargo Dealer Services back with no luck after their response call and finally asked them to get me in touch with the office of the president.

As you may read in the attached letter from Wells Fargo-Office of the President, the letter indicates that the car was impounded because of unauthorized parking however in the next paragraph they indicated “they understand that our customers go through difficult financial periods for many reasons”! It is very obvious that this was not a car abandonment due to any financial issue. The Wells Fargo letter is specific in its findings that the car was impounded due to unauthorized parking as indicated by the KTL auto storage. If Wells Fargo decided to repossess the vehicle because they thought I had financial difficulty, they were absolutely wrong. In fact they admitted I was never late in making the payments.

Wells Fargo has now added additional repossession fees to my account and have sold the car for the fraction of the car’s value and demanding a deficiency balance from me. It is clear that Wells Fargo had no authorization to pick up the car from the storage facility to repossess the vehicle due to unauthorized parking. I received no prior communication from Wells Fargo by phone, email or a letter notifying me of their intent to repossess the car. They could have easily contacted me to find out about my intentions in picking up the car but chose not to do so because this was not in their best interest. After almost 4 years of making on-time payments, majority of the interest on the loan if not all must had been paid and I would have not allowed this car to be repossessed for any reason.

I truly believe that Wells Fargo Dealer Services has been unfair, misleading and discriminated against me in lending practices and has violated a federal consumer protection law and regulation. This is clearly an unjust Repossession bank practice. As you are aware OCC Assessed $500 Million Penalty against Wells Fargo, for Unsafe or Unsound Practices on 4/20/2018. This case is a clearly an example of Wells Fargo unwarranted and unsound practices. I understand Wells Fargo Auto is a division of Wells Fargo Bank, N.A.

Original review: April 5, 2019

We traded in our auto which was still under financing with Wells Fargo. We have proof they were paid in full (copies of checks) and FedEx tracker, proof of receipt that 2 payoff checks were received and NONE of this matters. Wells Fargo has called us every day this week demanding payment. Their own website is showing payment in full. There is something sinister with this company. I am going to seek an attorney to try and get these calls to stop. I have saved the voice mails. The damn loan has been paid for 5 days now but the calls are sometimes 5 a day. It harassment.

Original review: March 31, 2019

I tried not rating Wells Fargo Dealer Services @ all but this website requires one. When I bought my 2008 Scion in 2012 I wasn't thrilled when I found out it was Wells Fargo that would be holding the note. My credit was in the toilet @ the time so I didn't complain... too much. Over the six year course of the loan there was only one rep (Allen) that I tried to work with when I had to contact them. He was the ONLY one that was nice, respectful and empathetic.

Around mid 2013, I was having a (brief) financial problem and the woman I was talking to asked me why I bought a car I couldn't afford. I answered back that I could @ the time and I was in between jobs when I called. She responded with "clearly you can't" in the snottiest tone. Another time a woman told me to quit smoking and quit buying pantyhose. Huh?! Pantyhose?! Where'd THAT come from?! I told her I don't smoke nor do I wear pantyhose on a regular basis. One pair will last me for years. It was usually the women that were the worst. I asked another woman if she had an extra big bowl of b____ for breakfast. She hung up on me. ???? That's OK, I got Allen when I called back immediately afterwards.

I don't know if being rude and condescending is part of the orientation process for new hires but everyone I talked to that made me feel like a piece of crap must've passed that class with flying colors. I paid my car off last month. I did it online and attached an email. The last line of my email said that if WFDS was the only outfit that would finance a vehicle I'd walk or take public transportation first. And I mean it.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I wanted to purchase an auto and was pre-approved through Wells Fargo. Then I was asked to submit 2 years of tax returns along with 2 years of corporate returns for my company. All this for an auto loan. My credit is great and I have a ton of car credit history, but yet I was thrown through loop after loop. I even went as far as submitting W2s and paycheck stubs because I also get paid as an employee. In the end none of it was good enough and I was denied the loan. The last two weeks of going back and forth with them has been a nightmare and a complete waste of time! Never again and lesson learned! Now I know why I hear that everyone says to stay clear of this bank!!!!

Original review: March 13, 2019

How can a bank provide monthly statements without a remaining account balance? They also fail to provide correct transaction history on the statements. They have a name and fairly good auto loan rates at the time of my purchase, but I don't have confidence in this bank to service my loan.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I have a lemon SUV that I'm current on payments with. I'd like them to allow it to be salvaged while I continue payments. Wells Fargo tells me the option is to have it repossessed. Now they refuse to pick it up and I can't have it salvaged due to the loan. They have the poorest of customer service, simply telling me "it's up to discretion what to do with the vehicle." What are my options?! Exactly. I will be telling everyone to avoid banking with them. Absolutely terrible, they obviously don't care about their customers and retaining them, hope you enjoyed the last payment 'cause that's all you'll get at this point.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I got approved for a 10,000 loan. All was good for the 1st 2 yrs then I ran into some hard times, my son's father paid my account. Brought it current when I fell behind on 2 payments, these people still went and debited my account taking another payment from me of 300 that wasn't even due. My account became overdrawn. Stuff was bouncing when > went to my bank wells fargo to get it all straightened out. I was told even though they are wells fargo they are totally separate from the bank itself, the branch manager at my bank reversed my overdraft fees and called the auto loan department to get them to put the money back in my account after reviewing it was paid and current and they refused stating they have the right to debit my account 2 times in the effort to collect funds paid or not even though I was ahead of my payments. They continued to debit my account till I finally closed it out.

When I became homeless and needed to work out payments with them their csr said, "Well if you are homeless you should have no problem paying your payment." they are horrible, have no compassion and do not work with the customer. I offered them a pay off of half the amount owed and they refused. They took the car at 3000 owed and added it to my credit repost with derogatory comments showing different amounts owed from 3000 to 1200. They are a joke and they will screw up your credit in a big way! DO NOT GO TO THEM FOR A LOAN IF YOU'RE SMART. They are crooked and your loan amount if you add up all you have paid will show different in their favor. SOMEONE IS POCKETING A FEW 100 DOLLARS. BEWARE!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

They had many red flags with names not matching and a $1477 over the payoff amount from a dealership you would double check and make sure they were applying it to the right account. This did not happen so they paid off my truck and sent the title to a dealership that I have never been to and a check for over $1477. I got the letter on Dec 31 along with the check. When I called I was told it was done in error by one of their people and that the title information has already been sent to the RMV. So not only could this dealership come and take my truck from me with the title I also was afraid to drive it as I was no longer the owner and not sure if my registration was still valid so I lost out on New Year's Eve with my family. My other half lost out on 3 HVAC jobs and they did nothing to fix it but get my title back after 13 days and only started to get my title after I called again 3 days later and never once got a call back from the manager like I was suppose to.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Got a car loan through them over 6 years ago and paid off over 20,000 on a loan, with only 4,000 left to pay they sent to a collection agency after not accepting payment arrangements on the last 4,000 or accepting a buyout I requested. The worst company I have ever been subjected to. Do not do a loan through them!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I've financed multiple cars and always keep track of my balance. However, I wasn't informed of the type of car loan Wells Fargo provided to me nor was it explained even though I inquired about early payoff penalties. Wells Fargo loan they provided to me wasn't like typical loans. They lead me to believe the balance showing online include interested and finance charges for the length of my loan.

I financed my car for 5 years and with 2 years remaining, I wanted to pay it off in full. Online it showed I owed 12K and like other loans, when paying it off early, that 12K amount would be reduced since I'm paying off early and eliminating 2 years of interest. To my surprise, Wells Fargo told me I owe, 13k to pay it off. They explained that's the loan I signed and nothing I can do about. The person from the Office of the President at Wells Fargo couldn't tell me how my loan was set up and basically called me to tell me that I signed the contract so I have to deal with it. She clearly has dealt with others with similar situations not being informed of the type of way the interest is accumulated and that the online price doesn't include interest for the length of the loan. She also agreed that it was misleading but I signed the contract and that was on me to continue to make payments.

Please don't allow the lower interest fool anyone to do business with Wells Fargo. My neighbor is filing a complaint with them for a different reason but the COMMON TREND was we were but not informed or mislead to doing business with this company. Buyers beware-- do not do business with Wells Fargo! Nothing, not even banking! There is a reason why the top executives have been fired for their bad business practices! Office of president, Cynthia, is untrained on customer service and the hold concept of helping is a joke!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

Was laid off and took time to get a new job. At first they were understanding as I was catching up with my payments. Really thought they were very helpful as they didn't really give any push back and will take my payments. Recently, I tried making a payment and they refused it, was told I needed to speak with my account manager. Days, weeks passed no callback and now I'm in charge off status.

Told the person in that department what can we do to fix this problem as I am not refusing to pay but rather catch up. She told me to pay off the whole balance, if I had the money to pay off the balance I would had paid it off a while ago. Said I can only make this go away by paying off the balance, refinancing (which is a joke. No bank or lender wants to refinance, but they WILL approve you for a new loan) or trading it with a dealer. I only want to finish paying off my loan. Really sucks how this bank takes advantage of your misfortune. Wish I would had known how this bank was before deciding to finance with them.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

God forbid any of corporate big shots fall on hard times. They do not work with anyone. We fell behind because of medical bills. So they say they are repossessing the car. That was in June. They think we can pay it off. If I had over 21,000 I would of paid it off. Let's just see if I can pull it out of my butt. They said I qualified for an hardship loan. That was a joke! They said they don't look at scores or back payments. But on the reject letter those were the first two things listed as why it was decide. We still drive it. It's the only vehicle we have. We can make payments now but they don't want to do that. They will not get what they want out of it so I will still be paying on a car either way I go. They keep pushing Carmax to sell it back too. We are not driving over 300 miles to try that. That company is in their back pocket cause they keep pushing it. If you can keep from it do not deal with this company. I'm regretting it everyday.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

In April 2018 I purchased a 2016 Dodge Caravan from a car dealership with a loan from Wells Fargo Dealer Services. In August 2018 I considered selling the vehicle and entered into a settlement with Wells Fargo Dealer Services; that after selling them the unused portion of my extended warranty (approx. $2400), which I did in September 2018… the debt would be approximately $16,400.

The same car dealership was willing to buy back the vehicle for $13,000 and I made up a bank check for the difference in price so that they would send Wells Fargo the total of $16,400 that was owed, as per the settlement. But when Wells Fargo faxed the bill to the car dealership, they faxed them the amount of approx. $18,800, not the settlement amount. I made about two dozen phone calls to Wells Fargo, spoke to about seven different representatives, all were in agreement that the settlement amount was correct, but they continually faxed the higher amount to the car dealership. Finally, a representative stated that the higher amount would have to be paid and the car dealership would be reimbursed for the difference.

This of course was unacceptable to the car dealership. I explained to numerous Wells Fargo Dealer Services representatives that I needed to sell the vehicle because in a few days I would leave the country, but they insisted this was the only way. On September 29, 2018, as a last attempt to pay Wells Fargo Dealer Services, I visited a local Wells Fargo Bank and spoke to the bank manager (who I understand was not connected to the subdivision), and related my situation. The bank manager was nice enough to make a telephone call to Wells Fargo Dealer Services and spoke to a manager.

After a frustrating hour and a half, the bank manager lost patience and turned the telephone over to me. I made it clear that I wanted to pay the settlement amount of $16,400, but after October 1, 2018 the vehicle would be left at my daughter-in-law´s driveway. I explained that this is not a good option for either Wells Fargo Dealer Services or for me. The Wells Fargo Dealer Services manager did not seem to care either way.

I notified Wells Fargo Dealer Services numerous times thereafter where the vehicle would be parked so that it may be returned. On November 8, 2018 the vehicle was picked up. Now my credit rating has dropped and I am considered a bad debt. I do not understand how Wells Fargo Dealer Services can remain in business with such practices and poor customer service.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

My vehicle was a total loss from hurricane Florence and with my insurance and GAP my vehicle will be paid off. For 21 days Wells Fargo prolong on my insurance and now the payment is due for my loss vehicle so I contact Wells Fargo to check on the progress 6 days later. I then was told because I refinance my loan with the same bank Wells Fargo to lower my payments that my GAP insurance which is incorporated into my loan is not valid once I refinance my loan. I asked why I was not told that when I refinance or better 27 days ago and her response was "Are you making a payment". I told that my GAP insurance is still active. Can they at least send over the information that they need and she stated that I have to do that myself.

Wells Fargo Auto Loans Company Information