Compare Auto Loan Rates

Compare Auto Loan Rates

Apply Today and Save - Lower Your Rates

Compare Rates

168 Wells Fargo Auto Loans Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 22, 2019

I applied for Wells Fargo Private party Auto Loan in early April. That process alone was a bad start. I uploaded necessary documents online that was needed to complete the loan process and some of the documents were rejected but I didn't know until I checked about 2 days later. Twice that happened with no communication for my "Loan representative". I got approved for the loan I wanted at $5000 and that gradually went up to close to $5500 as other charges were applied. Shouldn't a complete disclosure of charges be done upfront as it's a general loan and not applied gradually after 2 weeks? Finally got that done and went to nearest branch to complete the process.

Process on the first day went smoothly. Got a call the 2nd day that the seller was given too much money so I had to go back to give back close to $500 which of course is delaying the process again as the bank is not close to me and it is the weekend. So 2 days later I go back and return extra funds that they shouldn't have given in the 1st place. A few days later I call my loan representative for an update and he asks if no one calls me. Apparently the seller didn't fill out a few documents correctly and they didn't review them at the time and they have no contact information for him. I call the bank and of course it's true. Again a screw up on their part. They got his contact number but the rep that had it is not at work and they can't get in his desk and I no longer had it. So this goes on for another week.

The rep comes back and says he is trying to contact the seller. I get in contact with the seller as I found his number and call him. He says they did speak and they no longer need him. No one calls me to tell me this. I call a day later and it's confirmed so they then tell me it's no longer in the branch's hands I have to deal with the phone reps. Phone reps tell me they have to send my title to DMV and they take care of registration so the clock starts again at 5 to 10 tens to receive my title.

I call a week later for an update and I am told that because of state rules they cannot title my car. I have to do it myself so they will send it to me asap in 3 days. 3 days comes again I call back to get the same answer. I call back 2 days later to rep telling me that the dealer is slow sometimes..wait..I didn't use a dealer.... She didn't even fully read the notes regarding my account before she is telling me information that does not apply to me and again I am waiting just to simply receive my title to my car that has been sitting in my garage since April 2nd and it is now May 22nd. Worst experience ever and I advice all to stay away.

Original review: May 21, 2019

I would never get an auto loan with Wells Fargo again. I got a $13,000 loan with them for my Honda 3 year ago. I've paid the loan on time for the past 3 years down to $5500. I would now like to sell my Honda. The Honda is in near perfect condition. But in order to sell my Honda I have to find a buyer who is willing to pay off my loan. Okay no problem, except buyer and I (seller) cannot just go into a Wells Fargo branch, pay the loan, and get the title. In the state of Florida, at least, there is a 7-10 day waiting release period of the title to the DMV. Which means that I have to find a buyer who is willing to pay off my loan and then wait with no proof of purchase, because Wells Fargo does not have or provide such a document (I asked), and then the buyer has to wait up to 10 days for the vehicle title.

What kind of business model is this Wells Fargo? As a seller, I look like a sleazy con artist trying to get someone to pay off my car then drive off with it. When I explain this whole process to potential buyers it scares them off because who wants to deal with this? Honestly, I wouldn't want to deal with it as a buyer. Now I have to suffer as the seller. But of course, Wells Fargo wants to make it difficult for me to pay off my loan in because then they aren't making 85 cents a day off of me anymore. Well lesson learned Wells Fargo, I will never take a loan out with you or any other large bank again.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I was in a car accident in the beginning of February and my car was totaled. My insurance did not pay off the loan completely. I have been paying my monthly payments while working with the insurance company on a final settlement. I called Wells Fargo to see what arrangements we can work out in the meantime. The first person I spoke to offered 2-3 month deferment but had to transfer me. The guy I was transferred to was nothing but rude. Told me the first person was wrong and then started chastising me that I had missed a payment last October that I was delinquent. I tried explaining I had my current statement in hand and there was no past due amount and that I was sure I did not miss a payment. He had no interest in the current situation or resolving the matter at hand. HE WAS PLAIN RUDE AND OBNOXIOUS.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I was told we missed payments and when one was made it was insufficient funds. My bank statements show otherwise. Tried to get it fixed. Was sent to president office. Stephanie was my advisor. Rude, uncaring, cussed. Never had such a bad few months of customer service. Do not use Wells Fargo Dealer Services.

Original review: April 15, 2019

In 2015, from California where I have been residing I purchased the 2014 Dodge Dart vehicle, VIN# **…. License Plate No: FCV through a dealership in Texas for my daughter Hannah who resides in Houston Texas. I financed this vehicle through Wells Fargo Dealer Services. Since 2015 I have paid the monthly payments on time for her car without any interruption or delay in payments. In October 10, 2018 my daughter parked her car at her sister’s apartment complex in Houston while visiting her sister and a Towing Company towed her car and delivered it to KTL Auto Storage. In fact her car had been towed from the same complex twice before and we always managed to negotiate with the towing company and paid a small fee to have her car released. This time around they sent a letter notifying my daughter of the vehicle storage location and they also copied the same letter to Wells Fargo dealer services.

The letter indicated that if the car was not picked up by 26th of November 2018 they would sell the car in an auction to receive their impound fees. As soon as I was aware of the car having been impounded and the content of the letter with the deadline date, I contacted the KTL auto storage to arrange to pay the negotiated fees and have my daughter pick up her car. They informed me that Wells Fargo had already picked up the vehicle on November 8th, 2018, that is 18 days prior to the deadline! I clearly acted within the proper and allocated window prior to the date given by the KTL Auto Storage to have the car released back to my daughter however Wells Fargo had already taken the car in their possession in order to repossess the vehicle.

Later on when I contacted Wells Fargo dealer services, I was told they repossessed the car because the payments were delinquent. I informed them that during the past 4 years I have never been delinquent, not even once. I was told they would look into this matter and contact me back. They called back in few days and confirmed that payments have not been late and didn’t know why the car was picked up by Wells Fargo and stated there must have been a mistake! I tried several times contacting Wells Fargo Dealer Services back with no luck after their response call and finally asked them to get me in touch with the office of the president.

As you may read in the attached letter from Wells Fargo-Office of the President, the letter indicates that the car was impounded because of unauthorized parking however in the next paragraph they indicated “they understand that our customers go through difficult financial periods for many reasons”! It is very obvious that this was not a car abandonment due to any financial issue. The Wells Fargo letter is specific in its findings that the car was impounded due to unauthorized parking as indicated by the KTL auto storage. If Wells Fargo decided to repossess the vehicle because they thought I had financial difficulty, they were absolutely wrong. In fact they admitted I was never late in making the payments.

Wells Fargo has now added additional repossession fees to my account and have sold the car for the fraction of the car’s value and demanding a deficiency balance from me. It is clear that Wells Fargo had no authorization to pick up the car from the storage facility to repossess the vehicle due to unauthorized parking. I received no prior communication from Wells Fargo by phone, email or a letter notifying me of their intent to repossess the car. They could have easily contacted me to find out about my intentions in picking up the car but chose not to do so because this was not in their best interest. After almost 4 years of making on-time payments, majority of the interest on the loan if not all must had been paid and I would have not allowed this car to be repossessed for any reason.

I truly believe that Wells Fargo Dealer Services has been unfair, misleading and discriminated against me in lending practices and has violated a federal consumer protection law and regulation. This is clearly an unjust Repossession bank practice. As you are aware OCC Assessed $500 Million Penalty against Wells Fargo, for Unsafe or Unsound Practices on 4/20/2018. This case is a clearly an example of Wells Fargo unwarranted and unsound practices. I understand Wells Fargo Auto is a division of Wells Fargo Bank, N.A.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo Auto Loans?

Original review: April 5, 2019

We traded in our auto which was still under financing with Wells Fargo. We have proof they were paid in full (copies of checks) and FedEx tracker, proof of receipt that 2 payoff checks were received and NONE of this matters. Wells Fargo has called us every day this week demanding payment. Their own website is showing payment in full. There is something sinister with this company. I am going to seek an attorney to try and get these calls to stop. I have saved the voice mails. The damn loan has been paid for 5 days now but the calls are sometimes 5 a day. It harassment.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I wanted to purchase an auto and was pre-approved through Wells Fargo. Then I was asked to submit 2 years of tax returns along with 2 years of corporate returns for my company. All this for an auto loan. My credit is great and I have a ton of car credit history, but yet I was thrown through loop after loop. I even went as far as submitting W2s and paycheck stubs because I also get paid as an employee. In the end none of it was good enough and I was denied the loan. The last two weeks of going back and forth with them has been a nightmare and a complete waste of time! Never again and lesson learned! Now I know why I hear that everyone says to stay clear of this bank!!!!

Original review: March 13, 2019

How can a bank provide monthly statements without a remaining account balance? They also fail to provide correct transaction history on the statements. They have a name and fairly good auto loan rates at the time of my purchase, but I don't have confidence in this bank to service my loan.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I have a lemon SUV that I'm current on payments with. I'd like them to allow it to be salvaged while I continue payments. Wells Fargo tells me the option is to have it repossessed. Now they refuse to pick it up and I can't have it salvaged due to the loan. They have the poorest of customer service, simply telling me "it's up to discretion what to do with the vehicle." What are my options?! Exactly. I will be telling everyone to avoid banking with them. Absolutely terrible, they obviously don't care about their customers and retaining them, hope you enjoyed the last payment 'cause that's all you'll get at this point.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I got approved for a 10,000 loan. All was good for the 1st 2 yrs then I ran into some hard times, my son's father paid my account. Brought it current when I fell behind on 2 payments, these people still went and debited my account taking another payment from me of 300 that wasn't even due. My account became overdrawn. Stuff was bouncing when > went to my bank wells fargo to get it all straightened out. I was told even though they are wells fargo they are totally separate from the bank itself, the branch manager at my bank reversed my overdraft fees and called the auto loan department to get them to put the money back in my account after reviewing it was paid and current and they refused stating they have the right to debit my account 2 times in the effort to collect funds paid or not even though I was ahead of my payments. They continued to debit my account till I finally closed it out.

When I became homeless and needed to work out payments with them their csr said, "Well if you are homeless you should have no problem paying your payment." they are horrible, have no compassion and do not work with the customer. I offered them a pay off of half the amount owed and they refused. They took the car at 3000 owed and added it to my credit repost with derogatory comments showing different amounts owed from 3000 to 1200. They are a joke and they will screw up your credit in a big way! DO NOT GO TO THEM FOR A LOAN IF YOU'RE SMART. They are crooked and your loan amount if you add up all you have paid will show different in their favor. SOMEONE IS POCKETING A FEW 100 DOLLARS. BEWARE!

Wells Fargo Auto Loans Company Information