2. Finance
  3. Prepaid Cards

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.02/5

The Walmart MoneyCard is a prepaid banking card. The card includes a variety of features such as cash back rewards at Walmart.com, Walmart Fuel Stations and Walmart stores. The card has no fees at Walmart locations, and it has a mobile app that lets you track your purchases and deposit funds into your account.

BOTTOM LINE

The Walmart MoneyCard is a good choice for frequent Walmart shoppers. The card has cash back rewards up to $75 each year. You can manage your funds and deposit cash on the go with the MoneyCard app.

PROS

• Cash back on Walmart purchases
  • 2% APY annually
  • Up to four free family accounts

CONS

• No fees only at Walmart locations
  • Numerous fees

Top Walmart MoneyCard Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Walmart MoneyCard?

Everything's working very well with my Walmart MoneyCard. I like that I can’t go over. … I can go to the store right now, and in five minutes, it’s already showed up on my transactions. ... I also use the direct deposit and sometimes I actually am paid before my co-workers. We’re a happy customer.

I like my Walmart MoneyCard. It really is great. I love it. I like that I don’t have to have a bank account. I use their online app and I like that I can check my transactions and that the transactions show up right away. I’ve been very satisfied.

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

What is a Walmart MoneyCard?

The Walmart money card is a prepaid debit card offered through Walmart. Customers earn cash back rewards for using their Walmart MoneyCard at Walmart stores and fuel stations and online at Walmart.com. The cash back rewards can be accessed after 12 months of use as long as the card maintains a positive balance.

Other features of the Walmart MoneyCard include:

• No overdraft fees
    • 2% annual interest
    • Free cash reloads using the Walmart app
    • ASAP Direct Deposit
    • Free family accounts

To enroll in the Walmart MoneyCard program, visit the company’s website and fill out the application form. You must supply your name, address, phone number, Social Security number and preferred card type: Visa or Mastercard.

Walmart MoneyCard fees

The Walmart MoneyCard has several fees, including:

• Monthly fee: $5.94, but waived if $1,000 or more was loaded onto the card in the previous monthly period
    • ATM withdrawal: $2.50
    • Teller cash withdrawal: $2.50
    • Cash reload fee: $5.95, but free if cash is loaded using the app at a Walmart location
    • ATM balance inquiry: 50 cents
    • Activation fee: One-time $1 fee
    • International transactions: 3% of purchase
    • Paper checks: $5.95 for a pack of 12 paper checks
    • Card replacement fee: $3 for standard delivery and $15 for expedited delivery

Walmart MoneyCard FAQ

Does Walmart MoneyCard deposit early?
    Yes, with the ASAP Direct Deposit feature, customers can access their payday funds two days early and benefits four days early.
    How do I activate my Walmart MoneyCard?
    To activate your Walmart MoneyCard, enroll in the program and follow the instructions provided for activating your card. There is a one-time $1 setup and activation fee.
    Can I withdraw money from my Walmart MoneyCard?
    Yes, but ATM and teller fees apply.
    How do I check my balance on my Walmart MoneyCard?
    Use the Walmart MoneyCard app to check your card’s balance, make mobile check deposits and monitor transactions.
    Can I use my Walmart MoneyCard at a gas pump?
    Yes. Plus, you earn 2% cash back if you use the card at a Walmart fuel station.

Is the Walmart MoneyCard good?

The Walmart MoneyCard is good for customers who frequently shop at Walmart stores and are looking for a simple way to manage money while earning rewards. The simple nature of the card and app helps customers load funds and monitor transactions wherever they are. However, it is best to keep an eye on the fees associated with ATM withdrawals and cash reloads.

Walmart MoneyCard Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Walmart MoneyCard?

Original review: March 15, 2020

I always have cashed in my checks in Walmart, and then I saw the Walmart MoneyCard one day and I asked the lady about it. She was like, I could even have my checks deposited on it. So, I grabbed it and got it. I’ve been able to manage just fine with it. It’s been good to me. The only thing I don’t like about it is I can’t pull money off of it. I can, but even when I go to Walmart, I could only pull a $100 at a time off of it or they charge me the $3 fee every time. I thought when the lady told me as long as it’s direct deposit or I got the card, any time I put money on it, it doesn’t charge me. My direct deposit doesn’t charge me, but if I go in and try to load money on to it, they charge a $3 fee. And that’s another thing. I could only do it at Walmart. I can’t do it at any ATM.

But the benefit is I could use it anywhere. I don’t have to carry cash with me. My direct deposit is good too. I’ve never had a problem with it. However, the reload is just finding a person at Walmart that knows how to do it. You’re supposed to be able to go to any register and be able to load it, but most people don’t know how to do it. So, I end up having to go to customer service to do it. My lady has this card too and at first, I always go to Walmart to wire her money. But with Walmart MoneyCard, it’s just easy transaction over the phone, internet access, use the app to go on there and pull her name up, send her money. She goes on her phone and receives it. She just puts in her card number and it’s that simple.

Original review: March 5, 2020

Everything's fine with Walmart MoneyCard. I had one problem one time before. I ordered something through the mail, and it wasn't the right item. So, when I sent it back, I gotta wait on the refund but the money never came back. I was out of $300. I also didn't have anybody to talk to as far as customer service to see what was going on. The system wasn't giving me the option. When you call the 800 number as far as talking to somebody about transactions, I didn't have the option to speak with someone or if it did, I didn't hit the right button. I wish there was a person that was accessible to see and tell you what was going on.

Other than those, I like that there were no overdraft fees. If it's there, it's there, if it ain't, it ain't. I use my Walmart card to just order stuff because I don't like to use the card with my bank with more money, and I like to put just an amount on there to order things. I've had Walmart MoneyCard for five to six years. I use the app sometimes, but being that I got multiple cards, sometimes I can get confused on which one goes to which one.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

Walmart MoneyCard works fine. It was easy to use, the fees are really low on it, and it works anywhere. But automatic withdrawals don't work on it. If you wanna set up automatic withdrawal for car payments or whatever, those seemed to have issues. I’ve had MoneyCard for eight years. I have two cards. I only pay a monthly fee on one of the cards ‘cause I put a portion of my paycheck on there. My fiancé has me hold his bank card because his bank card will bounce and he can’t keep his bank accounts straight. So, what I do is I put a portion on a separate card for him and I don't have a fee on it.

The MoneyCard doesn’t work with certain ATMs, like Tulsa Federal Credit Unions or any of the credit unions. The one around my house where I make my car payments doesn’t work at all. It also doesn’t work at the ATM inside of QuikTrip and it doesn’t work at the QuikTrip pumps. But a lot of cards will charge a dollar every time you swipe it, but the Walmart MoneyCard doesn’t.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

At the time when I couldn't get a bank account due to situations I had in my life and I needed a place for my check to go to as well as to make some online billing easier for me, I learned about Walmart MoneyCard. I've used them off and on for a couple of years, and I've had the the current card I use for over a year now. I have been reloading it at my closest Walmart.

The plus side of the whole thing is I've never had any issues or concerns with the MoneyCard. Every once in a while, I would log into my account 'cause I keep basically everything in my savings. And when I make purchases, that's when I transfer the money into where I could actually spend it. Sometimes, it takes a second to get in, but it's smooth for the most part. Another plus I've noticed is we get paid on Friday and I get mine on Thursday. There are a lot of perks. Also, I've talked with many friends who have banking issues and some people who can't have bank accounts, and I highly recommended the MoneyCard to every single one of them. Even if somebody still had a bank account for credit reasons, I always recommend having a Walmart MoneyCard.

Walmart MoneyCard response

Hi Justin,

We appreciate your feedback. As with any business, the greatest advertising that any company can have is word of mouth from a satisfied customer. We hope that you continue to enjoy your Walmart MoneyCard and all of it's great features! Thanks for being a part of the Green Dot family.

Green Dot Bank

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

Since I couldn't get an account anywhere else, I went with Walmart Money Card and it's going great. I've been using my MoneyCard for a little over a year so far, and I like the save and unsave option in the app. The only part that's harder is that I can't go to a bank and just withdraw money. There's no way to easily withdraw money. I have to go in public and do cashback, which kinda suck to end up having to spend money to get money out of my account. It doesn't charge me a fee but I have to buy something. And when I have to do cashback at a store, I get charged double to use an ATM because I get charged with the ATM then charged by them as well. The only Walmart near me is far away so I don't get a chance to go there very often, and I don't like that I get charged to use the services at a Walmart.

Then, I would also like it to be easier for the people I send money to to get the money that I send them 'cause that's been one of the biggest hassles. Sending money to people is easy for me, but it's not easy for them to get the money that I'm sending them. I used to send money to people that I owe money to, like to pay my rent to them, but they end up having to get a Walmart card also in order to get the money. On the other hand, one benefit is cashing a check or depositing a check and getting cashback. I have direct deposit at my job and it's nice and cool that I get my check deposited a day earlier than anybody else back where I work.

Walmart MoneyCard response

Hi Ingird,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with our card. We do our best to offer alternatives to traditional banks by offering a variety of features and simple fees. Thanks again for being a loyal customer.

Green Dot Bank

Original review: Nov. 7, 2020

I made a reservation through Priceline for a hotel using my Walmart Moneycard. They took payment immediately for the cost of the stay. In the end due to an issue with the hotel, Priceline had canceled the reservation and canceled the charge. 2 days later I inquired to WMC as to when the hold for the amount of the reservation would be released. They advised that if they don't get confirmation from Priceline, it could take 7days+2 to expire. I asked why the +2 days. The typical amount of time for a pending charge to expire is 7 days. WMC advised, it is to verify with the merchant. Which still makes no sense.

Long story short, I had Priceline verify with WMC that the reservation was canceled and the hold should be lifted. WMC customer service advised that they still had to wait the 7+2. I still don't understand why they keep saying 7+2, rather than saying 9 days. Whenever you contact customer service, you are calling somewhere in India, and their English is horrible, on top of them reading from a script that is written in horrible English. Not one person gave me any information, or even had a conversation that deviated from their script. I am still waiting for the charge to be lifted and we are at day 10 now.

Resolution response: Oct. 30, 2020

I finally received my money back.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2020

Updated on 10/29/2020: Today is the 29th and I've yet to receive a call from corporate. No one has reached out with my money or given me any thought or what's the next process. I have rent to pay. I'm a single mother. I got paid on the 26th. They took my money on the 26th. They even gave me case numbers confirmation number but no one has yet to speak to me or talk to me about what's going on. My money was took from a country in Greece. I live in Texas. I don't know what's going on but I don't recommend Walmart MoneyCard to anybody. I don't feel like the customer's information is safe. I think someone is taking people's information in their customer service and giving it to other people. Please don't be a victim of Walmart money card. Scam customer service in their company. They say the customers comes first but no one is yet to reach out to me and this is the fourth day with no response.

Original Review: I am a single mother of five kids. Someone charged my Walmart Money Card 23 times in another country for over 300. I contact Walmart customer service with no help telling me to wait ten days. So I ask to speak with a supervisor and they put me on hold and hang up. I have rent to pay on the 1st. Why do I have suffer because Walmart does not secure its customer's private information. I don't recommend this company or card to anyone. I still have not got a call or my money back.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2020

I don't understand how they (WALMART MONEY CARD/GREEN DOT) are a financial institution that prides themselves on posting your deposits as soon as they are notified about them but they can't put money back that's in a pending state because the transactions were being denied at the place I was trying to make a on line order from. I have used my debit card to make this same transaction several time since 2017 and have never had this issue before. Customer service reps I have spoke with both times today were completely of NO HELP to me. It's been 3 days with my money just lost in the financial wires and all they can say is have to wait for the transactions to completely post before I can file a dispute. Well that is a problem because the company denied the.

So as I told the reps as well as the ones from where I was ordering, I am disabled and budget to live in motels through the month and that seems almost impossible without any problems. And now I'm here with .37 to my name and have no idea about where I'm going to stay tomorrow and it is already getting too cold here in Colorado for me because I've had 4 back surgeries. Where is the compassion and humanity towards others? Just don't put all your money with because if things go wrong be prepared to just sit on your hands til they will let you dispute it.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

If I could give 0 stars even negative stars I would. Unbelievable. First of all, my current hold time with customer service is 3 hours so far! I have not received my replacement card and have no access to my money to pay bills. I have had an account with Walmart money card over 10 years. My card expired 09/20 and I have requested my replacement card 4 times! Last one was supposed to be here at the latest by 10/04/2020. They said there was no way for me to get card faster than 10 days though I read online that you can for $15.00 extra, if it was offered as an option I would have gladly pay it. But now I think they should pay to send it now.

Now all of my payments for bills that come out directly have bounced back and will not go through... including money for rent and my son's birthday was yesterday, That's how I receive my child support and I cannot get to my money. Still on hold... I chatted online with customer service 3 times. Today someone told me to wait 2 more days. I'm so frustrated.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

I am now stranded on the side of the road with no money because GreenDot services put $75 on hold because I paid at a gas pump for $10 worth of gasoline. I called the gasoline company to which they said they did not put $75 on hold. They only try to authorize $1. We called Walmart card services and they tried to blame the merchant to which they were told the merchant can not place money on hold. Only the cardholder services can do this. The man we spoke to did not have anything to tell us except it would no longer be on hold October 23rd. I told them we were traveling and had $0 now. We have no gas and 2 hungry children on the side of the highway because we can’t move without gas. They could care less! DO NOT get this card if you don’t want to be left stranded on the side of the road hundreds of miles from home.

Walmart MoneyCard Company Information