3.83/5
Based on 3,079 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Walmart MoneyCard is a reloadable, prepaid debit card that provides consumers with cash back rewards on purchases they make every day. Use it everywhere Debit MasterCard® or Visa® debit cards are accepted in the U.S. Rewards include 3% cash back at Walmart.com, 2% cash back at Murphy USA and Walmart fuel stations, and 1% cash back at Walmart stores. Earn up to $75 in cash back rewards per year.

Walmart MoneyCard offers free direct deposit and will allow you to send money for free to other Green Dot Bank issued cards. The new Walmart MoneyCard app is now available to track your money around the clock. Contact us today to learn more!

ABBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 20, 2018

4763 Walmart MoneyCard Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I loved my card when I first got it! After a couple of months, my direct deposit stopped coming 2-3 days in advance, I thought no big deal. A day early was ok. Now I don't get it until my regular payroll day? No I have not change jobs! I get paid twice per month; on the 15th & on the last day of the month, which obviously changes (Feb is 28 days, or 29 days every 4 years on leap year). Initially, I was receiving my paycheck at least three business days in advance. Then, it went down to two days, to one day, & now I'm just getting paid when I'm supposed to get paid! I've been a customer of theirs now for over five years and I think I'm about done now. There is something really fishy going on here and it's totally uncool to be taking advantage of your customers especially long-term customer who's been in this game since the beginning and build you up to be what you are today. I'm actually just completely disgusted with this whole situation.

At this point, I'm not even sure when my deposit will be deposited and guess what? My deposits are $2500, twice per month, or $5000 monthly! I'm basically giving Walmart all this money to play with to their rich ass leisure and this is how I'm being treated in return. It's really unbelievable that I have taken this crap for as long as I have. I really have nothing good to say, about this “service”, at all anymore. It's apparently become a joke to Walmart too as they've just continually decided to “shaft me” deeper & deeper over time. It's appalling & immensely disrespectful.

Hi Adam,

We'd like to have someone look into your account and discuss the concerns that you shared. We'll be in touch with you through the number provided to us by Consumer Affairs.

Green Dot Corporation

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

Very disappointed... Have had the card for 1 year with my direct deposit. Then all of a sudden it's blocked. Payroll rejected... Walmart card has taken 15 days to arrive... Called customer support and according to them... there is no complaint number nor corporate to contact. Some BS... I'LL say!!!

Hi Letty,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We'd like to have someone look into your account and discuss the concerns that you’ve shared. We'll be in touch with you through the number provided to us by Consumer Affairs.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

My mom need money. We went down to Walmart. Loaded the card with $520 and did a transfer to her card. Have done many times before never had a problem. She never got the email for the transfer. We canceled it and the money was refunded and tried a text transfer and it failed. We canceled that one and the money was not refunded. We called support on the phone and was told it will be corrected by end of date 2-13-2018. Midday of the 13th we got a email from support saying our card was tested and works. We log in to the account and still do not have the $500. We call them back and they say there is nothing they can do as the card is fine.

Hi Sandra,

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

My husband and I went to Walmart to put money in the Card so we can sent it to my parents in Philippines online! But I didn't know that this card can be use only inside the US, so we went back to the Walmart to withdraw the money so we can sent it using MoneyGram. But when we withdraw it on the Machine there only half of the money only the machine have given to us and it turns Offline. But in the receipt it show that we withdraw the all amount. So we went to customer service but they said they cannot help us and just give advice to call the number at the back of the card.

So when we drive home my husband call the number and the customer service said that we have to wait couple weeks to check the result of what happen. She said it will automatically come deposit in the account if they can fix it! We are so upset and in the next day I check my Walmart app and the transaction is posted so that mean it successful withdraw the money but we never received it! How what you guys gonna do! There is no help from customer services and you guys can't even help the problems! We are not gonna use this card again! If we put all our money here if it's gonna be disappeared you guys can't do anything! This is very very bad experience!

Hello Jason,

It was a pleasure speaking with you earlier today. We’re glad that we were able to resolve the concerns that you shared. We value your feedback, and thank you for allowing us the opportunity to make things right. Feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions or concerns that you would like to discuss.

Thank you!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

They cancelled my card after 3 years! Said my I.D. didn't pass verification! I call b.s., I have a class A state issued DSL. How on earth does that not pass verification and get me a lifetime ban?!? So I call customer service which by the way is in the Philippines. They say "the computer made the decision", we can't change that. Well screw you Wal-Mart.

Hi Dennis,

Green Dot Corporation

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Walmart MoneyCard?

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

If there was a way to give this Walmart MoneyCard a lower score I would... I've tried for the past 6 months to try and get a refund for my 500.00 from this card I cannot use. When I 1st activated the card, I wanted to use it just for online shopping so I activated the card without a Social Security number to keep my info safe. Then I come to find out you can't use the card for online shopping without a Social #... Then I called Walmart MoneyCard's horrible customer service and they said they will send a refund check with my 500.00 in 4 weeks... Well I've called and called and they've told me this 6 times that they'll send it and It's been 6 months and NO CHECK YET... and now the 500.00 is not on the card anymore when I checked the balance and STILL NO CHECK. I just want my money I was GOING to spend for Christmas...

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I originally had great things to say about this card and bank. It was convenient and easy to switch over and never had any issues; until today. I was buying a little bit of groceries with my kids at the store checkout - The Clerk rings me up and I get-- unauthorized user cannot complete transaction. I know I have money in there and I used it this morning; so I Tell them please give me just a minute and go to the ATM- unauthorized user again. I hardly have any cash these days on me so I was unable to buy our food. It was embarrassing.

Last week I flagged a transaction I didn't give permission to a company to make. I just received an email in regards to my account and it needing more information on the dispute to continue and I just haven't replied yet. So: I call the number to speak with someone regarding my card and I'm told "Well ma'am we closed that one and issued you another one."

I was never contacted in regards to this and if I was this situation would be so much easier to wait for my card they mailed out today; since I could have pulled out cash before they closed/cancelled my card. Why wasn't I told? They assured me they were sorry for the inconvenience and next time this wouldn't happen to anyone else. Not only did my kids have to experience that with me - we have to go without until I get this new card. It's more than an inconvenience. It's my account. I need to know Big decisions like that before it's done.

Hi Cici,

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

The fact that the Wal-Mart money card takes up to 30 days to release holds or refund merchant transactions is unacceptable. I have a pending hold from Feb 4th that was released by the merchant on Feb 9th and according to you all, it still won't be until Feb 20th that I see the credit! Nothing in THIS digital day and age takes that long! If people can receive tax refunds two days sooner to the Green Dot card, than would their bank, why does it take so long to refund something you can clearly see was released? You aren't a bank, however your hold policies are worse than them.

A bank doesn't even take that long to release funds or credit an account. Then on top of that I pay 5.00 to use the card for the month (which took less than 5 sec to take) and 4 bucks to load the money. So basically I paid almost 10 bucks to just hold 100.00! I was inconvenienced dramatically by this as I really need that money and I'm considering not ever even shopping in Walmart stores again.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

My dad's card was blocked. I'm trying to help him figure out the cause of the issue but every number I try we can't get a hold of a real person or it's no longer a working number. I've emailed no response and he's had this card many years.

Hi David,

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I purchased a WalMart prepaid card 2 weeks ago and only used it once. Ever since then it has been locked. They asked for my I.D and I have sent it. They keep saying my documents are not good enough, I’m not able to talk to anyone about the situation, this is my only way I know how. If there is any problem with the card I would love my money back! And also I have received a personalized card but can’t do anything with it. I would really love a response, thanks!

Hi Piffany,

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I get this card from Walmart 21 dollar. I did go online and I put my all information but I cant add money. Why do I have to waiting my new card or there problem. I try two time not working. I can't add money. I try to call customer service no help I can found.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Got a Walmart card, got a email they were sending the main card. 3 days haven't received my card. I reported card stolen cause it's been over a week can't access my money. When I call they say they have 2 cards on file, last year I applied for card never received the card up to this date. I am nervous I won't get the card and have money on the card that I need to pay bill. Need help no customer service you can even talk to... The automatic service keep saying give last 4 of card. I can't give numbers of a card I never received...

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

A friend owed me $50 and I told him I'd take a Wal-mart gift card. Instead he purchased one of these horrid devices. I tried to return it to Wal-mart, but they said they can't help once it's purchased (which I doubt they told or explained to him). Now I am trying to contact you guys to get a refund of the card, and I get stuck in a ridiculous phone loop because I have not set up the card. I've talked to TWO people who have both been from somewhereland and neither seemed to understand what I required. I'm not going to set up the card because you want my SS# and also use my information for marketing. This is incredibly annoying. I understand terrorism concerns, but 1) it's 50 bucks 2) I have a right to privacy. I need this either turned into a written check payable to me, or a Walmart gift card like I asked.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

My balance states I have 1000$ in my account. I received a 580$ fund reversal from a dispute, and then my account was locked, and card CLOSED. This issue with the transaction I disputed has been going on since Jan 26th... As I waited for this transaction to be refunded and to be disputed, I received another paycheck; the weekend after I received that paycheck, my dispute was won and I was returned the 580$. The next day MY ACCOUNT WAS CLOSED! They not only took the previous wrong transaction of 580$ BUT THE REST OF MY PAYCHECK I JUST GOT. I'm a single mom of a small child and we're starving, and a week away from our power getting cut off. I can't even CALL CUSTOMER SERVICE. PLEASE HELP ME.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I have been using my Walmart MoneyCard for years. Never had a problem. Never had my account locked until now. They tell me that it was locked for suspicious activity. They can't tell me what it was. They tell me I cant get it unlocked until I send a copy of my ID which I don't have because my card and my wallet was stolen out of my car and also my birth certificate because I was moving. So they tell me they are going to keep my money until I provided them with a copy of my ID. I was born abroad so I cant just go to the local birth certificate office to get mine. I am on disability so all my money goes to my card so I have no money. I am done. I am transferring my direct deposit to another card and I recommended not using Walmart MoneyCard.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I was using my mom's card I had loaded in Atlanta. Was supposed to go to the aquarium and didn't. They refunded the money to the card and Walmart permanently blocked the card. Now neither me nor my mother can get the money back. It was 200$! We went to the MoneyCard center and they said they couldn't help us that the money is gone. Like WHAT. I don't even want to shop at Walmart anymore.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

We've used these Walmart cards for a few years now. Last week someone stole my dad's online wallet and used $2500 of his SSI card and $1500 of his Walmart card. The $2500 will be returned in 7 to 10 days, but Walmart keeps disputing the $1500 and doesn't wanna refund the money. Keep getting transferred and hung up on continuously by Walmart. Worst service I've ever dealt with in my life. Never Will use or buy a Walmart card again.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I have been using my Walmart Money Card since November for direct deposit. My direct deposit has been sent to Walmart but I still have not received the funds on my account. I have tried searching everywhere for a phone number to contact a REAL person but can only get an automated system. This is NOT good customer service. I want to be able to speak with a real representative. Is this too much to ask?!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I've had my card for over 5 years and had the preferred card. My fiance being a second on the account. Well the card got blocked and asked for us to verify ID since she got her first Uber payment on it. So she sent them her info. Then they closed the account cause it was the wrong info! She has been a second person and received tax refunds on it as well. It's BS and you can't get them on the phone to clear it up. Well without them hanging up on you.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I have had the money card for about a year now. I reported it lost January 23rd, it stated I'd have a replacement card within 7/10 business days. It's 2/8 and I still do not have a card. I've called and called and get hung up on by the automated voice machine because my card isn't recognized because they canceled it. My direct deposit went on that card. And nobody is trying to help me get an answer. I've lost over 1500 dollars. I got an eviction notice and I'm late paying my sitter. I'm about to lose my job because I wont have childcare!!!

I've tried to get ahold of people about my money and nobody cares or wants to listen. Then I finally find a number y'all... call it and the lady barely understood my English. Then guess what?! My account doesn't exist! This entire situation seems sketchy as hell. I wouldn't recommend anyone getting this card. These reviews are enough. Please listen to everyone in here. I've been waiting for my card and cannot access my own money. I worked two weeks for free basically. And these people can't even help!?

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

My husband and I each have a card. His card was compromised over a few months ago with crazy online companies and cross borders fees. We reported it quickly and they told us it would take 10 days to dispute. No other bank takes this long. Then after 10 days his dispute was declined as they said he had to prove he didn’t make the transactions. What??? How do you prove you didn’t do something?? This past weekend I had fraudulent charges in a diff state on my card and now waiting their long 10 days for a decision. I will take it to all levels if it is denied. As this will be the second time!!! I suggest no one use this card!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I am no longer getting my direct deposit 2 days early. It’s now coming on the tenth instead and I don’t understand why. Also it’s taking three to four days for a mobile deposit to post??? But overall I love my card and the services provided, the app is really easy to use and always can keep track of my account. Just kinda annoyed I have two checks I deposited and still have no money.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I purchased 3 money cards with the MasterCard logo specifically to shop on eBay. They took my monthly fee and now are refusing me to use my cards. I've called the store. No answer. The money card customer is a computer and NO ACCESS to any humans are allowed. I'm having to contact corporate office and MasterCard Corporation to gain access and resolution to my $1,500.00. I plan on filing a formal complaint against them with a State Attorney General and the BBB. This was an alternative to utilizing my bank, HUGE MISTAKE.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Just like so many of these that I’ve read, you can’t talk to actual people. I lost my card, reported it. They said I would have it on or before the 4th of February. It’s the 6th and I still don’t have it and I can’t talk to anybody. I’ve got two paychecks on a card that I don’t have or a replacement. There’s too many problems to even type up that’s why we want to ** talk to REAL PEOPLE!! What do I do to get my GODDAMN MONEY!?!?!

Hi Darren,

Green Dot Corporation

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

Walmart MoneyCard Green Dot has the worst and unprofessional customer service. This is the worst prepaid service. They do not post your money on time and they make false accusations. I never filed a dispute and I was a loyal customer for 3 years with no problems and for them to mistreat me and have racial remarks towards a customer is very inappropriate. DO NOT LET USE THEM. THEY ARE CROOKS & VERY INCONSISTENT WITH PEOPLE MONEY. They do not like ** people so stop giving Walmart MoneyCard your money!!!!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I use this card for everything: direct deposit from my employer, food, rent, bills, you name it. This morning when I went to pay my rent, the card declined. When I called the number, it said my account was canceled. That's it! No explanation, absolutely NOTHING. I can't reach a live person to talk to as the phone system hangs up on me when I enter the card number. Walmart employee said they have no information either. There is nearly $3k on there that I absolutely must have to buy food, pay bills, etc. I'm totally freaking out right now and there is no way to reach customer service!!!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

Y’all took my money and holding it. You didn’t pay the bill and you won’t give it back to me so y’all stole it from me. I have submitted 2 disputes and yet you haven’t given me my money. Y’all just like Rush.

Hi Morgan,

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I received this card from my tax lady. First off they I went thru so much just trying to activate the card, then they would let me take no cash off my card. Between going in Walmart multiple times & calling them, I lost my card. I called to get a replacement, they then put a block on my card & refused my License multiple times for verification. I'm truly upset. My bills are overdue to this setback from me expecting to use my own money! Then the customer reps can't speak properly & they won't let you speak to no one higher than them, they all claim to be "supervisors". I'm so infuriated, I truly hope this shuts down. Playing with a person's money is no cool at all. Luckily I'm speaking with Mr. ** who will represent me in consumer fraud... I will be taking proper steps since Walmart thinks that they will take over 4,000 from me... Right on Walmart!

Hi Natasha,

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

My paycheck was direct deposited to my Walmart MoneyCard on 2/1/2018. I went to check my balance and withdraw funds to pay my bills and OMG! My check was $750.00. My balance $30.00. 15 purchases were charged from a Pharmaceutical company in Mexico. Border crossing fees! Bill pay fees. Service fees. Up to $500.00 within 12 hours while I was at work. Walmart and Mastercard are working on it but it will be 10 days or more for me to be reimbursed. That is IF I get reimbursed! I made a police report and they can't do anything about it and the officer said do not even count on getting your money back!!! I worked so hard in my life. Homeless last year. Worked my way into a place and a vehicle and now it's all gone. Just do not buy a Walmart MoneyCard or Green Dot anything!!! I refuse to stop here and legal action will begin tomorrow morning. Please save yourself from what I've gone through.

Customer increased Rating by 4 stars! Resolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

My check was supposed to be deposited into my Walmart account and loaded on to my card, but has not been received according to customer service. I would never recommend this card or Walmart to anyone. I just want my money I worked hard for that my employer processed on 02/02/18.

Hello Christina,

www.walmart.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use