3.5/5 (8079 ratings)

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

About Walmart MoneyCard

The Walmart MoneyCard is a prepaid banking card. The card includes a variety of features such as cash back rewards at Walmart.com, Walmart Fuel Stations and Walmart stores. The card has no fees at Walmart locations, and it has a mobile app that lets you track your purchases and deposit funds into your account.

Pros

• Cash back on Walmart purchases
  • 2% APY annually
  • Up to four free family accounts

Cons

• No fees only at Walmart locations
  • Numerous fees

Bottom Line

The Walmart MoneyCard is a good choice for frequent Walmart shoppers. The card has cash back rewards up to $75 each year. You can manage your funds and deposit cash on the go with the MoneyCard app.

Top Walmart MoneyCard Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Everything's working very well with my Walmart MoneyCard. I like that I can’t go over. … I can go to the store right now, and in five minutes, it’s already showed up on my transac...

Verified

I like my Walmart MoneyCard. It really is great. I love it. I like that I don’t have to have a bank account. I use their online app and I like that I can check my transactions and...

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

What is a Walmart MoneyCard?

The Walmart money card is a prepaid debit card offered through Walmart. Customers earn cash back rewards for using their Walmart MoneyCard at Walmart stores and fuel stations and online at Walmart.com. The cash back rewards can be accessed after 12 months of use as long as the card maintains a positive balance.

Other features of the Walmart MoneyCard include:

• No overdraft fees
  • 2% annual interest
  • Free cash reloads using the Walmart app
  • ASAP Direct Deposit
  • Free family accounts

To enroll in the Walmart MoneyCard program, visit the company’s website and fill out the application form. You must supply your name, address, phone number, Social Security number and preferred card type: Visa or Mastercard.

Walmart MoneyCard fees

The Walmart MoneyCard has several fees, including:

• Monthly fee: $5.94, but waived if $1,000 or more was loaded onto the card in the previous monthly period
  • ATM withdrawal: $2.50
  • Teller cash withdrawal: $2.50
  • Cash reload fee: $5.95, but free if cash is loaded using the app at a Walmart location
  • ATM balance inquiry: 50 cents
  • Activation fee: One-time $1 fee
  • International transactions: 3% of purchase
  • Paper checks: $5.95 for a pack of 12 paper checks
  • Card replacement fee: $3 for standard delivery and $15 for expedited delivery

Walmart MoneyCard FAQ

Does Walmart MoneyCard deposit early?
Yes, with the ASAP Direct Deposit feature, customers can access their payday funds two days early and benefits four days early.
How do I activate my Walmart MoneyCard?
To activate your Walmart MoneyCard, enroll in the program and follow the instructions provided for activating your card. There is a one-time $1 setup and activation fee.
Can I withdraw money from my Walmart MoneyCard?
Yes, but ATM and teller fees apply.
How do I check my balance on my Walmart MoneyCard?
Use the Walmart MoneyCard app to check your card’s balance, make mobile check deposits and monitor transactions.
Can I use my Walmart MoneyCard at a gas pump?
Yes. Plus, you earn 2% cash back if you use the card at a Walmart fuel station.

Is the Walmart MoneyCard good?

The Walmart MoneyCard is good for customers who frequently shop at Walmart stores and are looking for a simple way to manage money while earning rewards. The simple nature of the card and app helps customers load funds and monitor transactions wherever they are. However, it is best to keep an eye on the fees associated with ATM withdrawals and cash reloads.

Walmart MoneyCard Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Walmart MoneyCard?

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

If you have a problem with this card and you contact them, you will be told many different things dependent upon who answers the phone. They lie by giving you a fake name, they lead you to believe that there are different departments i.e. Accounting Specialists and there is no Accounting Department. They pass you around from person to person who tell you things that you know are not true and contradict what someone else has told you when you called previously. I had a situation with a temporary hold being placed on my card for a specific amount and the actual charges being less than the amount that was placed on hold, for the vendor. When I called to have the difference refunded back to my card, I was told there was no difference due.

No matter how I tried to explain that if a certain amount was placed on hold and less than that amount was used that the balance needed to be placed back on the account (or released if you will) they never understood what I was saying. One person said, you gotta call the vendor. Another said, there is no reason to call the vendor. My experience was totally frustrating and it was a waste of time to call the corporate resolution department (that was probably a fake department that I was referred to). The Dispute Resolution Department said they could not help me only Customer Service Support could help. Customer Service Support said, there was no issue. I will never use the card for a hotel stay ever again and I definitely won't have my payroll check deposited to this bank. Be very careful when using this card. Stick to the simple things. If you put money on it to pay a bill. Put the money, pay the bill.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2022

I have had my checks direct deposited on this card. My dog ate our card and my wife called to find out how we could get the money off the card. They stated, "You could transfer the money to another green dot card." So my wife stayed on the phone with the lady while she instructed my wife on how to do this. My wife did it. As soon as it was complete within 5 minutes of getting off the phone we received an email saying our card was locked due to suspicious activity. Mind you this is the activity they told us to do. Then after calling back they said, "You have to email a copy of your license for verification." We have done that. It's been 3 days. They told us it would take 2. Mind you $1700 dollars of my money is locked on this card. When we call we ask to speak to fraud and they hang up on us.

We ask to speak to a manager and the manager gets on. We explain and they hang up on. Now when you log into our account it says the account is CLOSED. We have called 17 times and they continue to hang up on us and will not help us. DO NOT USE THIS CARD. I do not know where my money is and their customer service is terrible. You cannot call their corporate office for help. There is no phone number for it. Beware of this card.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2022

I've had my MoneyCard hacked for $400 in the past 3 weeks. They send me a new card, but I refuse to use it again. This has happened numerous times so don't use Walmart money card unless you like your money stolen.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

I've been using Walmart for years and it was amazing until now. I deposited $1000 for my rent on Sunday and stored it in vault so as not to mess with it.. I go to pay rent next day and it said my account is negative $773.. Impossible I should have wayyy more than that.. I called and the transaction said MONEY REVERSAL from Walmart.. this was AFTER I stored it in the vault.. so the person REVERSED my transaction AFTER.. How if I was never given anything? And I called and they said there are no issues so basically they stole my money and think it's ok? I haven't even paid my rent and still have the 1300 untouched in the vault where I can not access it because if I move it they will take it. How do I pay my rent when they stole my money.

Original review: July 14, 2022

On June 22nd, I reported fraud on my card. They canceled my card and said a new one is being sent. To date, I’ve not received my new card and don’t have access to my money. I’ve called 10 times asking for information and every agent and supervisor has lied about my card being sent out. Because of this, I’ve not been able to pay my credit cards or car payment and I’ve accrued late fees. They said they would not cover my late fees. Now, they tell me the earliest I’ll receive my card is the 22nd of July. Exactly one full month not to have access to my money. Absolutely ridiculous!

Original review: June 30, 2022

My check was deposited to my bank account on the 22nd of June and my my bank account was hacked and called Walmart. He said he can unlock my card because the hackers might get back inside. Later on that day I have received a text message from Walmart saying my car is has been unlocked and the hackers are back inside of it. Call customer service or they say it was we got to investigate and it shows out there on the statement that I didn't touch my money.

Original review: May 24, 2022

I got a Walmart money card to use as a debit card. I was never able to verify my email address so that I could move money into a savings account. Then they started charging me a monthly fee and refused to close my account until my balance was a $0. They keep sending me new cards but I just keep shredding them. It's too much of a hassle to use this debit card!!!!

Original review: May 18, 2022

My grandson purchased this by mistake. Could not get a refund at Walmart even though you can't use it unless 18. He is 17 but able to purchase it. Took forever for me to set up account and figure out how to get our money back. They instantly deducted 6 dollars for a monthly fee. Then took a while to close account. Don't be fooled as these are right beside the cash and gift cards. What a rip-off.

Original review: May 11, 2022

Okay on April 23rd I used an ATM from just a regular Shell station and it said error so I tried it again and it worked. And it gave me $200 but the 200 that came that was supposed to come out in the air actually came out of my account too so I filed a dispute 10 days later. 10 business days later should I say and still no resolution and I've been told, "Oh well it'll be here" then "It'll be. It'll go in this day. It'll go back on this day" and finally I got someone and I talked to and they were transferring me over to another person that would be able to help me with this. Find out what's going on and then I get to this.

This person finally picks up and ask for me all this information and then she says why I won't be getting one and I said, "Well why not" especially since the ATM people said that they showed that machine had 200 extra dollars in it and then I said, "I want to speak to the supervisor. I want to speak to someone that's in charge of this that can take care of this." They hung up on me. I've tried calling back. Getting someone and the same thing keeps happening. I keep getting hung up on there's. This is the worst customer service I have ever seen in my life and I am in customer service. I would say just go back to bank.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2022

Had this card for many years has been fine until I wanted to dispute one charge that was a membership that on their own charged my account, they went in blocked my account (didn’t ask them too) claiming account was compromised but said I could use card still till I received new one! One of the so called specialist told me this on first call, used the card next day declined, called another so called specialist. Told I was misinformed. New card will be there 3 business days, another lie, called another so called specialist. Said 7 to 10 days, another lie, called another so called specialist, actually got a date the 24th, another lie and all this time I’m getting declined transactions, late fees on bills etc and can’t access my money, have direct deposits coming in but can’t get any cash!!

New card to this date has not arrived, called another so called specialist and told this time could go to a bank, give account # and for a 2.00 fee can withdraw some cash from account, today is Sunday. Haven’t tried it yet but if true why wasn’t I told this at the very beginning? Right hand does not know what left hand is doing???? Everyone of the so called specialist has given a different answer or instructions, one told me "Oh you haven’t got the card, we will cancel the one in mail and mail you another." What ??? Hell no! Do you not understand the problem? I gone 3 weeks now unable to access my cash, let me repeat MY CASH! Only thing that goes through are things on automatic payment that have acct # and routing #. So card is okay until then and I repeat they claim it was compromised!!! I have never in my life had to deal with such A nightmare of incompetence and it just keeps growing and getting worse!

Walmart MoneyCard Company Information