2.99/5
Based on 491 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Walmart MoneyCard is a reloadable, prepaid debit card that provides consumers with cash back rewards on purchases they make every day. Use it everywhere Debit MasterCard® or Visa® debit cards are accepted in the U.S. Rewards include 3% cash back at Walmart.com, 2% cash back at Murphy USA and Walmart fuel stations, and 1% cash back at Walmart stores. Earn up to $75 in cash back rewards per year.

Walmart MoneyCard offers free direct deposit and will allow you to send money for free to other Green Dot Bank issued cards. The new Walmart MoneyCard app is now available to track your money around the clock. Contact us today to learn more!

ABBB Rating
View More View More

5348 Walmart MoneyCard Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I got a Walmart money card after closing my bank account to be able to receive my direct deposit paycheck while I was deciding which bank to open a new account with. My old bank account was in my name only and there was never a problem with mine and my husband's paychecks being deposited into that account. When I got the Walmart money card my checks went in without a problem but as soon as my husband's check was deposited they locked my account without notice or question. Now my money, ALL of my money is on that card and I have not been able to access it now for 5 days. They wanted me to send in verification of my husband's info and mine which I have done but it takes 5 days to review my account.

They say because he is not the account holder that they lock the account and there is nothing we can do until they review it. My husband gets paid weekly and will have another check coming this Friday as well that we also will not be able to access. They told me I could add him to the account as an additional cardholder but because my account is locked, I can't do that either. I have 3 kids and bills and financial responsibilities and cannot have my money held for days with no response. It took hours of waiting on the phone on hold before talking to an actual person who says I just have to wait. It's not acceptable to just hold my money and give me no way to get it back for a week or more. I have sent emails, called etc. and still have no idea what is going on. I would not wish this on anyone.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Debit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Resolution response: Aug. 15, 2018

Quick resolution. Wal-Mart sent an email letting me know the card was no longer blocked. I activated the card and have transferred the money off the card. Thank you for the assistance.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I put $200 on a card in March for an upcoming trip. I ended up not using the card for the trip and had not activated the permanent card. I can log in to my account and see that $5 is being deducted from my balance each month and that my card is blocked. When I try to activate the card by phone, the automated system tells me my card is blocked and to go online to submit a copy of my driver's license. When I log in to my account and click on the secure dropbox, I am asked to enter my card number.

Once it is entered, I am told to log in to my account to see my most updated information. I am stuck in an automated system loop. I have emailed and was told I would receive a response in 2-3 business days. The other option is to send a letter via mail explaining my situation. There is no option to speak to a person. I am beyond frustrated and just want to get my remaining $170 back. So far, this has been a $30 learning experience. I will NEVER get a Walmart MoneyCard ever again!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I used to be satisfied but not anymore. I really enjoyed receiving my direct deposit a day early. But now after several years all of a sudden I stopped receiving it early. It’s been about 3 weeks and nothing has changed with my employer. I don’t understand why all of a sudden I’m not receiving my direct deposit a day early anymore. It really frustrating and inconvenient.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

There was a fraudulent charge on my card which I disputed. They resolved it right away and credited the money back. That’s not the issue. The problem I have is they cancelled that card and issued me a new one (without telling me by the way) and told me that I won’t receive the new card for 7 business days!! That means I have no access to my money until next week!! I am a single mother with 3 children. I have bills to pay. That is absolutely ridiculous!! If you’re going to issue a new card, then it needs to be overnighted so you receive it the next day!

You cannot allow people to have no access to their money for over a week!! And when you call customer service, the people on the other end barely speak English and just keep repeating, “Sorry but you won’t receive it for 7 business days.” That’s not an option! Never mind that I have bills that automatically get deducted from my card every month that are now going to be declined which is going to cause another huge problem!! Not a happy customer at all!!!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Very pleased and getting paid a day early is nice. I enjoy not standing in line at bank and the fees are the cheapest I have found out of researching several different prepaid money cards. I would recommend the Walmart MoneyCard to anyone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Walmart MoneyCard?

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Simple to set up, easy to use, great features, and great perks. I got this over a year ago due to not having an accessible bank while traveling the country. Eventually shut down my physically located bank and moved all my bill paying etc to MoneyCard.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I purchased 5 money cards with $500 each on the way out of town for vacation. $2500 total. Upon trying to activate the cards only 3 worked. No help anywhere thru the system to try and resolve the matter. I’m out $1000 on the spot. Never again! I called a local Walmart store and was laughed at and said uh “call the store you got it from”. I did, the woman at the store told me once it leaves there she could not help me. Call Walmart corporate and get bounced around an automatic phone system. Called the number on the card at least 75 times. Always the same result. Kicking me back to the activation line. I called in from an active card to bypass, booted to what sounded like India then dealt with rude customer service, put on hold for an hour then hung up on.

This nightmare is a bit disappointing when you and your family are standing, sweating literally and figuratively try to figure out how to actually pay for our once a year weekend vacation to the beach. Was I stupid in thinking I wouldn’t have an issue trusting my money with Walmart? Maybe but I can tell you the next time I use this service. Never again! Now it’s on the fight for my $1000 I want back.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

On 07/27/18 I was in line at a subway in Florida when I get a notification that $357 was spent at a Party City in California. I immediately contacted customer service to report the unauthorized transaction but was told I had to wait for the transaction to be fully processed. On 07/27/18 the transaction had processed so I contacted customer service again to dispute the unauthorized transaction, after making the report I was transferred to a recording giving me information of where to submit a written dispute as well. On 08/11/18 I received a letter dated 07/30/18 stating the investigators for Walmart MoneyCard disputes had ruled this unauthorized transaction to be valid and I would not be credited my funds. I immediately contacted customer support to open another dispute since I DID NOT authorize this transaction and was nowhere near where the transaction took place.

The fact that I made the dispute on 07/29/18 and the decision letter is dated 07/30/18 indicates no investigation had taken place. This was my bill money that was stolen from me. I should not have to fight this hard when I am the victim. My written dispute included the address of my specific location at the time this unauthorized transaction took place. However the investigators wouldn't be aware of that information due not allowing any time to receive my written dispute. I was and still am in possession of my debit card on the date and at the time the transaction took place. I've never authorized anyone else to use my debit card and no one knows my pin number. So how is it possible that I am guilty of making this transaction when I'm in possession of my card in Florida and the transaction happened in California?

How is it possible an investigation was performed without my written dispute that listed all the detailed information about the unauthorized transaction? To add after researching Green Dot and unauthorized transaction disputes I learned Green Dot has had multiple security breaches, leaking people's information which is allowing fraudulent transactions to be made then told that the investigation proved to be a valid transaction. Due to the way this dispute was handled and after reading others that have had this happen as well, I will no longer be using Walmart MoneyCard services and I will be spreading the word about this so that no one else can have this happen to them.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I have really enjoyed using my Walmart MoneyCard. I would really appreciate if loans were available. Also wiring money would be nice. Other than that I have had no problems with my money card. It is very convenient. Thanks.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

Walmart MoneyCard has the worst customer service. Called to suspend my card cause I thought I lost my wallet. Found it, told me they cancelled it, and will send me a new card in 7 days, or; call back in 24 hrs, and can have it expedited. Call back, the women who barely speaks English, tells me there is suspicious activity, but can't tell me what that activity is. This is a classic case of how outsourcing customer service to third world countries is never a good idea. As soon as I get my new card, I will be removing all my funds, (over 700.00) and switching to a new bank.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I bought a MoneyPak a week ago, gave it to my husband to load on his card. The money just disappeared into thin air! It's virtually impossible to get anywhere with customer service because they are poorly reading everything from a script. He was told it was used fraudulently. We have supplied them with the receipt and a copy of the purchased card. This happened before and we were never refunded the money. This is hard earned money and based on reviews that I have read this has happened to thousands of everyday working people like myself.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

So found out one of my cards my prepaid Visa was up & locked on 8/9/18 due to "suspicious" activity. Now I can understand "preventative measures against fraud", however the policy that Walmart/Green Dot follows and the OVERSEAS REPS they have scripted, trained & brainwashed to "assist" us are HORRENDOUS. I GAVE PERMISSION to my SON K.F. to use MY CARD which I pay monthly fee and charged $2 to access my own doggone money. He has his DD from his job set to come to my card. Deposit was received on last week, well 2 deposits then the 3rd deposit hit on yesterday and they decide to lock the card due to "suspicious activity" which happened twice prior to that.

So I called to see why we couldn't get gas & was advised of this. The 1st rep Divine proceeded to tell me WHY & give me some B.S. about needing to send my license & his front & back & a copy of a paystub deposit slip??? HOW STUPID can this be when HE (well I actually took it to them) provided his employer with the deposit slip you all sent with the card & you allowed 2 prev deposits to come thru. I'm fine with calling me to ask about the "suspicious activity" but to block me from MY HARD EARNED MONEY, make me send ALL this in which makes NO SENSE bc you still will NEVER see my dang face and THEN claim you have to wait 5 business days to confirm & RELEASE MY MONEY.

Totally UN acc damn ceptable. SO YES I'VE REACHED out to my attorney and he will be calling back. I called back b/c NO FINANCIAL institution conducts their fraud verification this way. I.e. I just filed against my American Express Serve Card, yes they locked it down but opened back up to allow me to get my funds then locked it back, closed it and sent me another. I also have an acct w/ Navy Federal and had one with WF NONE conducts business this way. This has caused us a great hardship & I WILL be closing as soon as it handled!!!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I have a real bank account that I have used for 14 plus years. I decided to use this so called "quick and easy service"... for a family member. To make a long story short. The representatives have no answers to your questions. They have the same answer every time, which is that they will submit your issue. Very unprofessional and lack knowledge all the way around. Now my son cant get his money because the money I put on there has multiple limitations. The other answer is to go to a Walmart. What if I am miles away? Or simply don't want to? All of the hours of hassle to be told there is no help and pretty much it's your issue. Walmart should not pursue things like banking. This has to be the worst banking "even though short term"... I have dealt with my whole life. I strongly recommend going somewhere else for money services.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Theyre scamming us. I've got proof, letters, recordings, so called "badges with fake numbers" that they claim to have, claims of being bankers, Applying payments incorrectly, receipts, statements, emails, charging additional fees, misrepresents that when customers dispute charges on their cards, claims that it will grant provisional credits so they can access their funds while the error is resolved which it does not. I've recorded multiple times spoke with a couple different "supervisors" all telling multiple lies, hanging up on me, switching stories, neglecting evidence I provided from merchants. I have a substantial amount of evidence. If anyone knows of a contact for a lawsuit I will greatly appreciate it.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I would love it except I can't access my card online or on the phone. Plus when I deposited cash onto it before work it said I had a new balance of $680. Then when I got off work I deposited another $49 and it said my new balance was $669. When I had not used my card in between deposits. Other than that the card is just fine.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I really like my Walmart money card. It allows me a alternative way to pay online without putting all my money at risk. I wish I could load the card an atm and I also wish there was ways to cancel out some withdrawal fees but I love my card.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I have an excellent experience with the Wal-Mart Money Card. I recommend it to all family's & friends. The customer service is excellent and the app is very convincing. Whenever you have issues or problems they help me to the fullest.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

It says after you set up direct deposit you should get a $25 cashback and I never received that. I’ve had direct deposit over $250 within 60 days of activating the card and never received the cashback bonus. I would appreciate it if the bonus can be added to my card in a timely manner. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

My Walmart MoneyCard was suppose to be unlocked on the 8th. I called yesterday to find out why it is still locked. Customer service said they did not know why it is still locked because they received all the documents. They said to wait one more day and try again tomorrow. Tried again. Still locked. Called back since a supervisor was suppose to call us back but failed to do so and they said corporate office will call us in 24 hours to help us. We will see.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I have had my card for 5+ years and have always received my paycheck on the day before my actual payday. That is up until about 2 months ago when I suddenly started receiving it on my actual payday. There is absolutely no way to talk to an actual person in customer service. The numbers I found were automated only with no option to talk to a live person. I called the number on the card as well as the 800 number for Green Dot Bank and neither number gave me a live person. It's pretty frustrating and one of the primary reasons for my having this card (the ability to receive my paycheck early) no longer exists yet the website still advertises this service so may have to rethink using this card.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I love the fact that I get my direct deposit early and that there are no hidden fees. I like it that I was able to get my wife a card too. It's nice that I can get money off my card at any Walmart money services.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I purchased a Walmart MoneyCard for my college-bound son yesterday. I registered it online, then a screen popped up stating that my son's identity couldn't be verified and that he can't reload, make online purchases or use direct deposit, and that he will not receive a permanent card. I put $25 on the card to test it out, thankfully, instead of a full $500. I called the number on the back of the card, but it is only automated with no prompt to speak with a live person about my issue with the card. I searched online and they don't even have an email address. So the card is not usable... Total waste of money.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I had all the options from viewing my account online. I have a card with my name on it, getting direct deposit. Then for no reason I can't get online. The 800 number you can't talk to a human. After calling number after number I finally get ahold of a person and they tell me my card is a temporary card. Can't check my balance. Also the ATM located in Walmart for these cards charges to get money. What a hassle. Waste of my time. So I'm gonna look for another card I can use, not through this place.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I don’t like the fact I can’t see all my transactions anymore, Hell I can’t even see one. I’m also having trouble logging in and when I want to unstash money sometimes it won’t let me. Don’t understand why this all has changed, never had a problem before.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I recently made an online purchase of some jeans from The Buckle for $86.29 and realized I gave them my old address instead of my new address so I called and cancelled the order immediately. The funds were taken from my account but were refunded by The Buckle. There was a pending credit of $86.29 for 3-4 days and when I checked today it was gone and so was the transaction showing the deduction but the money was never refunded. I contacted The Buckle and they said they send the refund on August 2. I then called Walmart MoneyCard customer service line and they said the money was never deducted which it was.

I called The Buckle to verify the money was taken out, they said they received the funds from my account and later refunded the funds and that they could send a fax over to Walmart/Green Dot to prove it. I called Walmart/Green Dot to ask for fax number but they said they don't have a fax number and that they don't need any proof because they have their own proof. I guess the money just disappeared into thin air because I never received it. They are very unfriendly and rude. Has anyone else had that problem? Is there anyone else I can contact about this?

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I set up my card online with a username and password. When I came back to get online to access the message came back that I didn't input the correct username. I know I did because it saved it in my browser, and furthermore I took a screen capture of to make sure it was right. I can access the information through their 800 number only. I had to go to the automated phone system to get the card activated. I couldn't get anyone anywhere to help me solve this problem. I know what I'm doing but I'm wondering if Walmart MoneyCard does. Once I get the money out of it, I'm done with Walmart's MoneyCard. I shop in Walmart 2 or 3 times a week on both personal and business, and have no problem with them. This is nonsense, period.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I get my direct deposit a day earlier than anyone else. So that really helps, but I would like to have a chip card. Being able to withdraw money at Walmart stores is convenient. The online banking is easy and straightforward. I used to work customer service for a bank.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I had a security problem with my account, gave them a call. They shut my card down without giving me enough time to get money off the account, then told me I have to wait until the new card comes in to access my money. I am fed up with Walmart MoneyCard services. It is absolutely ridiculous that I cannot access my own account in any way without the new card. They didn't even tell me I wouldn't be able to access the money. I work in card services, I know that there is a way for the old card to be reopened long enough to access the money, but they absolutely refused. Great customer service, keeping money from someone who has been with them for 12 years.

Updated on 08/08/2018: Just spoke with Green Dot about my card still not arriving and was told that the card would not be here for another 7 days, after being told yesterday that the card was on its way and would be here at least by today. I called because the card still has not arrived. I have money sitting in this account that I need access to right now. I am a single mother with an Autistic child and Green Dot is telling me there is absolutely no way they can help until the new card arrives.

When transferred to the supervisor, she told me to borrow money from someone and go to WalMart to buy a new card they could transfer the money to. I am floored. I have been with Green Dot for nearly 12 years (since they started the prepaid program through Walmart) and this is how they treat their customers. I told them I had recorded the conversation, and was told I could not record (ergo irony because they are recording me) and they disconnected the call. When the new card arrives I will be taking my money out and closing this account. I will find another company that will better appreciate me as a customer.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Satisfied with our Walmart Money card. Very convenient and it's nice not having to pay a bunch of fees. It's also nice being able to direct deposit our payroll. Seems like ATM cards from a banking institution always had credit card fraud, so far so good with our Walmart card.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I love my debit card and I like that I can have my check deposited on my card from my employer. If I had one complaint it would be that you charge so much for withdrawing cash and when I want to put cash on my card that has my name on it you charge me for it.

Walmart MoneyCard Company Information

3465 E Foothill Blvd.
Pasadena
91107-6071
www.walmart.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business