2. Finance
  3. Prepaid Cards
Accredited Partner

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.31/5

Walmart MoneyCard is a reloadable, prepaid debit card that provides consumers with cash back rewards on purchases they make every day. Use it everywhere Debit MasterCard® or Visa® debit cards are accepted in the U.S. Rewards include 3% cash back at Walmart.com, 2% cash back at Murphy USA and Walmart fuel stations, and 1% cash back at Walmart stores. Earn up to $75 in cash back rewards per year.

Walmart MoneyCard offers free direct deposit and will allow you to send money for free to other Green Dot Bank issued cards. The new Walmart MoneyCard app is now available to track your money around the clock. Contact us today to learn more!

View More View More
Walmart MoneyCard Learn More

Walmart MoneyCard Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: March 15, 2020

I always have cashed in my checks in Walmart, and then I saw the Walmart MoneyCard one day and I asked the lady about it. She was like, I could even have my checks deposited on it. So, I grabbed it and got it. I’ve been able to manage just fine with it. It’s been good to me. The only thing I don’t like about it is I can’t pull money off of it. I can, but even when I go to Walmart, I could only pull a $100 at a time off of it or they charge me the $3 fee every time. I thought when the lady told me as long as it’s direct deposit or I got the card, any time I put money on it, it doesn’t charge me. My direct deposit doesn’t charge me, but if I go in and try to load money on to it, they charge a $3 fee. And that’s another thing. I could only do it at Walmart. I can’t do it at any ATM.

But the benefit is I could use it anywhere. I don’t have to carry cash with me. My direct deposit is good too. I’ve never had a problem with it. However, the reload is just finding a person at Walmart that knows how to do it. You’re supposed to be able to go to any register and be able to load it, but most people don’t know how to do it. So, I end up having to go to customer service to do it. My lady has this card too and at first, I always go to Walmart to wire her money. But with Walmart MoneyCard, it’s just easy transaction over the phone, internet access, use the app to go on there and pull her name up, send her money. She goes on her phone and receives it. She just puts in her card number and it’s that simple.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

Since I couldn't get an account anywhere else, I went with Walmart Money Card and it's going great. I've been using my MoneyCard for a little over a year so far, and I like the save and unsave option in the app. The only part that's harder is that I can't go to a bank and just withdraw money. There's no way to easily withdraw money. I have to go in public and do cashback, which kinda suck to end up having to spend money to get money out of my account. It doesn't charge me a fee but I have to buy something. And when I have to do cashback at a store, I get charged double to use an ATM because I get charged with the ATM then charged by them as well. The only Walmart near me is far away so I don't get a chance to go there very often, and I don't like that I get charged to use the services at a Walmart.

Then, I would also like it to be easier for the people I send money to to get the money that I send them 'cause that's been one of the biggest hassles. Sending money to people is easy for me, but it's not easy for them to get the money that I'm sending them. I used to send money to people that I owe money to, like to pay my rent to them, but they end up having to get a Walmart card also in order to get the money. On the other hand, one benefit is cashing a check or depositing a check and getting cashback. I have direct deposit at my job and it's nice and cool that I get my check deposited a day earlier than anybody else back where I work.

Hi Ingird,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with our card. We do our best to offer alternatives to traditional banks by offering a variety of features and simple fees. Thanks again for being a loyal customer.

Green Dot Bank

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

My overall experience with Walmart money card has been good m. There are a few things however that needs to be addressed that can approve the overall experience for not only myself, but others. My husband account was closed due to us loading our tax return on there because we weren’t aware that it could have been direct deposited at the time. Instead of being asked to provide some sort of verification as to where the money was coming from, because I guess Walmart employees had viewed it suspiciously, the account was closed and he was informed he wouldn’t be able to obtain one ever in the future. That should not be the policy and there should be an option to provide legitimate verification versus a decision like that being made and not being able to be reversed.

The other issue is loading the card. It should not be so difficult and time consuming to load the card. At the Walmart in Rohnert Park, CA, you used to be able to load the card at any register and I was recently informed that you were no longer able. To have to wait in line at Customer service due to the money center always being closed for whatever reason was absolutely absurd! There was a couple of times where I didn’t even bother and I needed to load the card to take care of my rent. The line at Customer Service is always so long that you could wait fifteen minutes easily. Besides these issues I enjoy having a Walmart money card. My payroll and financial aid is direct deposited onto it and it makes life easier, especially for those who may not be able to obtain an checking/savings account.

Hi Constance,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us. We do our best to offer alternatives to traditional banks by offering a variety of features and simple fees. Your feedback has been shared with our product developers for consideration.

Green Dot Bank

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I love my Walmart prepaid debit card and it is the card I use primarily everyday. I originally got it for safe online shipping, then I noticed my direct deposits were showing up the majority of the time 3 or so business days ahead of schedule. That was a huge positive, then as I started using the card more and more I discovered all the other great services that came along with using my Walmart prepaid debit card. For example using the piggy bank to be able to stash money away so it’s not tempting me to spend it from my available balance total. Also, being able to pay bills and send money to friends and family without any fees is amazing, and even sending and receiving money and having the option to load to my PayPal account, where it has always shown up immediately for me has been my other favorite perk.

I will finish up by saying, continuously using my Walmart prepaid debit card and earning points and cashback all the while is definitely worth telling people about. This card has ending up being the one thing I am never without. I have gotten numerous friends and family members to switch over and get their own Walmart prepaid debit cards, and every one of them love their cards and sings its praises as well. Thank you Walmart for making it so easy and worthwhile to use the Walmart prepaid debit card. You definitely have a lifetime customer right here! Thank you so much.

Sincerely,

Kerri

Hi Kerri,

Great feedback! We’re so happy to hear that you’re enjoying your Walmart MoneyCard and hope that it continues to service your every need. As with any business, the greatest advertising that any company can have is word of mouth from a satisfied customer. We hope that you continue to enjoy your Walmart MoneyCard and all of it's great features!

Thank you!

Green Dot Bank

Original review: Sept. 2, 2019

Update on 9/10/2019: Someone somehow, was able to get ahold of my debit card numbers and went to town on purchases of the last weekend. I went to the Walmart site online and printed a the claims form for transactions dispute. I filled that out and did a review on this site. I received a call in a few day from a representative of ConsumerAffairs. I emailed the same information I had sent by mail to the email address he gave me. Over the phone he was able to have new card sent that arrived in two days. Before I hung up he said I will get a confirmation email that he received the information I sent.

I didn't get a confirmation email, I called the next morning to see I sent it to the right address and it was confirmed I did. The lady was nice and very helpful as well as the gentleman on the phone. I had two disputes. One of the has been refunded already and I'm waiting on the status of the next one. I am pleased with the response time because we all have bill to pay and credit scores to maintain right!!! Thank you for the awesome service during an unfortunate incident that plaques good customers everyday.

Original Review: I loved this card and have always stood up for this card vs any bank. I get daily text alerts on balance. Today I just received a text my balance was 500 short. I found out this weekend I am a victim of fraud and have to change everything. I am not sure if how Walmart will handle this. But I already reported everything and will call again to make sure I can get a new card and have it transferred. Without the daily text I would have not known so quickly. I am CA and someone in Michigan is racking up transaction. Be careful and get the daily text. I will update if I get the transactions reversed. In this world theft will always be high. I just want the purchases reversed.

Hello Durrell,

We’re glad that we were able to address the concerns that you shared. We value your feedback and thank you for allowing us the opportunity to assist.

Thank you!

Green Dot Corporation

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Walmart MoneyCard?

Original review: May 23, 2020

I loved the Walmart card a one point.. Now I would never recommend this card to no one at all. There was fraud on my card. Someone was buying all kinds of stuff online in a different state that I have never even been to and they keep throwing my dispute out won't give me my money back every time I call about it. They only thing they do is tell to reopen it. This has been going on for almost 2 months now. At this point I'm going to have my lawyer give them a call and look more in to this and I'm really tired of this. I can't believe people can just take your money and it all be ok. This is a sad company... On top of it they tell me they will have the higher up call me and no one ever calls me back..

Original review: May 21, 2020

I try to do a mobile upload helping my son and when I say this has been the worst time in my life OMG. So I was sent an email saying that they couldn't do the upload. Ok no problem so few days later my son took his check. Got it cash but there was a block placed on my card and I have been fighting to get my money every since. I have sent in everything they have ask but blood and I want my money. I don't know if I need to go to a TV station, call a lawyer, BBB or something. They have had my card block since 05/03/2020.

Original review: May 20, 2020

My husband I got a wmc a few weeks ago because they closed our other card. We had DD added to the card. DD was deposited a week later, but our card wasn’t in the mail. So we called to get the tracking number. Nope, they won’t give it to us. They said it will be there tomorrow. Needless to say tomorrow came and went no card. Called them back stayed on hold for 4.5 hours!!! You read it right 4.5 hours!! Then the girl said, "Oh, we sent it to your old address. I’ll have one over nighted to you." Almost a week later we got the card, went to activate it and it said our info was wrong.

Called customer service and was on hold for 5 hours!! Got a rep who could barely speak English and was VERY rude! Said he couldn’t do anything. He didn’t have the authority. He would have to put in a ticket to corporate and they would calls in 24 hours. 24 hours later... nothing. We are on hold again as I type this and have been on hold for 4 hours. As of now they have our money and will not let us have access to it because they can’t figure out what they have done. Avoid them if you can. This is ridiculous!! Also, the rep would not give us corporate's number and hung up on us when asked to speak to his supervisor.

Original review: May 18, 2020

I have been using the Walmart prepaid card for over 3 years. I thought it was great and never had any issues until now. After getting my direct deposit linked to it they have blocked my account and will not undo the block. I have contacted customer service multiple times. Sent over the needed documents OVER A WEEK AGO and it is still blocked. They have all my money on it with no way for me to access it until they lift decide to lift the lock. Customer service was a nightmare. Barely helped and had me on hold for over 3 hours before I even got a person on the phone. This has been terrible. I will continue to fight it until I get my money but I will never be using this card again. I strongly suggest getting any other kind! It will be a nightmare if you ever have an issue.

Original review: May 16, 2020

I'm trying to get help in regards to my card and I can't get anyone to answer the phone. Please help me because it is the only way that I can get my money. All of my money is on that card right now. Please.

Walmart MoneyCard author review by Barbara Friedberg

Walmart Money Cards can be used anywhere Visa or Mastercard is accepted. Cardholders earn rewards when they shop at Walmart stores.

• Pricing and fees: Purchase price for Walmart MoneyCard is $1. The $5 monthly fee is waived if you deposit more than $1,000 per month. There is a $2.50 ATM withdrawal fee. The $5.95 cash reload fee is waived if you reload through the app.

• Rewards: Walmart MoneyCards earn 1% to 3% cash back at Walmart and Murphy USA stores.

• Reload options: It’s easy to add money to the Walmart MoneyCard via automatic payments, in stores or through the mobile app.

• Free check-cashing: Cardholders can cash checks for free at Walmart stores.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor