Walmart MoneyCard

ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS THE WALMART MONEY CARD IS AWESOME. It lets me pay bills. Feel safe when using a Debit card. The internet access to my card is easy and simple and without logging in I can always check my balance. Fast and simple and that is how I like my card to be. No hassle.

I love the Walmart MoneyCard. Easy to use, no hassles, and works exactly how I expect it. No withdrawal limits too! Also no overdraft nonsense. If I don't have the funds, they just simply deny that card. No fee, no tricks, just a simple card denied. The iOS mobile app works great and is always updated with the correct amount! I use the Walmart MoneyCard as my primary card and I also have direct deposit setup. I'll be a card holder for life. :)

Walmart knocked it out of the park again with this money card. It has every feature that a bank does but with more convenience for you. Pay bills right from your phone everything, plus paper checks if you need them. Walmart kicks ass, thank you.

Someone used my card for several unauthorized charges in San Francisco in December (I live in Minnesota). I submitted a claim right away, including one charge at AutoZone. I did receive all my money back, except for the charge at AutoZone. I submitted another claim for this unauthorized charge, and never heard anything back from MoneyCard. So I guess I am out this money.

My experience with Walmart Moneycard has been wonderful. I like that I can go online to check my balance and other features for my online account. The online source is what I recommend. Easy, basically your looking over everything that you have spent just that fast.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Walmart MoneyCard?

Enjoy your cards a lot. Have had no problems. Love the texting messages. Like the app. Just wish I could combine the two or more cards with one sign in acct. Right now I have to have two different sign in infos.

I love the convenience of having my card. It works everywhere. I have my paycheck go direct deposit and get my money 1 day earlier. I can reload money on it anytime I want to. It is a lifesaver. Thank you.

I've had account with you for many years. First account was hacked so it had to be closed so I opened another. There is an option to change image but I'm denied that and don't understand why. At least send me the black card as the blue one doesn't look very professional. I would refer you to anyone as I like your services. Thank you.

I've had a great experience with the Walmart Moneycard. In my opinion, it's more straightforward and accurate than traditional banking, which comes as a wonderful relief, at the end of the day. The only detraction is the inability to pay at the pump, even at MurphyUSA. As the parent of a toddler, that ability would be most helpful. With the 2% cashback incentive offered at MurphyUSA, we've switched to MurphyUSA as our main gasoline provider, anyway... but not so much when I have to wait to fuel up when I have two adults in the vehicle. Oftentimes, it doesn't play out in either our favor or the favor of Walmart and MurphyUSA, it plays out in the favor of whomever is truly most convenient to fulfill the need at hand. A disservice to us all.

I am finally happy to have a card with cash back abilities. Also, everything I need to see about my card is right there on the app. I have already told people about this card. I always shop at Walmart so this is an added benefit! Shopping Walmart, using my Walmart debit card and the Savings Catcher REALLY help me stretch my budget money!

Hi George,

Please accept our apologies for the delay in resolving your concerns. We’d like to have a customer specialist follow up with you to see how we can help. We will contact you through the number that was provided to us by Consumer Affairs. We will be in touch shortly!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2017

On December 20, 2016, I noticed (4) four transactions that were made in New Jersey on December 19, 2016. As it turns out, the number on my card was somehow stolen and the thief made a new card and used it. They charged over $300.00 dollars on my account and I have been trying since 12/20/2016 to get my stolen monies returned. I even emailed the signed dispute form back to Green Dot Bank and still get the runaround. The contract says that if they need more than 10 business days, the monies will be returned to your account while they continue the investigation if needed. Do not believe that. I am still waiting and all I get is BS. Be careful and keep your eyes on your account. Very angry right now.

Hi Diana,

Original review: Jan. 11, 2017

I just got hacked for (4) PlayStation Charges on my card today. It says pending $439.92. This left my balance down to 16.12. I called and cancelled my card. I want to know why you can't refund my money. It says pending and it happened today.

The card itself was fine... I acquired the card in order to pay my L.A. Fitness membership because quite honestly I didn't trust their security when it came to protecting my identity and financial information. My only issue with the Walmart MoneyCard is that when I selected it I did so because it was on a list of "no-fee" cards. When I checked the balance to verify proper payment I saw that a monthly fee was disbursed from my deposits, so I discontinued my auto-deposit and changed payment arrangements. Other than that, the card was excellent. Thanks.

I like having the Wal-Mart moneycard. I love that I get paid a day early. I can't overdraft, so I'm not losing money. The new app is easy to use. I don't like that you have to wait a year to use the money back. The stash is very useful.

The card is user friendly. Two day early deposits & no fees unless using ATMs. Love the Vault feature. The ability to save without transfer fees. Plus the Cashback & other great rewards make for a well rounded debit card. This card is what all banks should do.

I have really enjoyed this card. The only thing is the 3.00 load fee that we have to pay if we want to load money on it. Card is taken everywhere and that's a plus. I have not had any problems with this card. I would like to get my daughter one because that's how much I like it.

Overall the card is good. This is one of 2 prepaid cards that I have. The main thing I do not like is the fact that I have to pay 3.00 every time I add money to it at a Walmart. My other card is free to load. I also have direct deposits going to both cards twice a month.

Hi Kristen,

We’re sorry to hear that you’ve had trouble with your card. We'd like to have a customer specialist look into this further. We will reach out to you through the number provided to us by Consumer Affairs. If there is another number to reach you through, please direct message it to us.

We look forward to speaking with you!

Green Dot Corporation

Original review: Jan. 10, 2017

There was a fraudulent transaction on my account. I had been hacked somehow, and the person made an unauthorized purchase on my eBay account. I noticed it the same day and called Walmart MoneyCard to inform them. This was on December 20th, 2016. I also informed PayPal, as it looked like it was done via PayPal. The Walmart MoneyCard people canceled the card that moment, there had been 2 more fraudulent transactions after the first but those weren't going through because of lack of funds. The gentlemen I was on the phone with at Walmart MoneyCard informed me of this, so they knew it was fraudulent activity. I was told I would be sent a replacement card ASAP, as it was a few days before Christmas and I now had access to NO funds at all. I was told it would go out the next day and I would receive it by Dec 23rd or 24th. I didn't receive it until the next week.

When I called before I received the new card, I couldn't get through to speak to anyone - I had to put in the last 4 digits of my card number, and since the old one was canceled and I didn't have a new one, the automated system kept hanging up on me. When the new card finally came, I was told there would be a resolution in 10 business days, by January 3rd, 2017. In the meantime, I had spoken to PayPal, who also was checking into this. I received a message from PayPal on January 3rd stating that they have confirmed that the charges were unauthorized and that they were processing the credit back to my card.

Well, on Jan 6th I received a notice from Walmart MoneyCard that I needed to sign and email a transaction dispute form, they needed a few more details to help them with their research. Seriously? So I called and was told that the "dispute" wasn't closed, I needed to sign and return the form and that it could take up to 45 business days. I asked why, in the multiple times I spoke with someone there, why I wasn't told I would need to fill this form out. No straight answer. I also asked what was there to still research? It's obvious it was fraudulent activity. What a load of BS... I'm totally getting the runaround from them. Ridiculous and completely unacceptable. I will be filing a complaint with the BBB as well.

Just discovered today after signing in online to my account that I had a series of unauthorized & fraudulent charges debited over the last week or so from my card - nearly $500 worth/all the available money I had on the card. I was shocked, panicked, & upset as you can imagine anyone would be in this situation. I immediately contacted the number on the back of the card to cancel it & report the fraudulent activity. I was so frazzled & of course worried when calling in, & frustrated by the rushed & very uninformative manner the call was handled in.

Of all times & any issues that call reps are dealing with, this should be one of utmost importance & a reassuring & overly thorough interaction. Once I was transferred to Chris/supervisor about reporting the unauthorized charges, I was asked a few minor details & simply advised my dispute was being filed. She was about to quickly transfer me off to a recording regarding the rest of the dispute process & form that's available online. I had to quickly stop her & ask for confirmation of which charges, one by one, were being included in the filed dispute. This is basic & necessary information that should be verified, without me having to prompt the information.

Before I could even get my next question out, I was quickly transferred to the recording. I wasn't advised whether money was being credited back, when & if that would occur, what would happen to the remainder of unauthorized charges still pending/yet to clear, whether I would need to wait & do a separate claim, whether it would be done automatically since I advised on the phone they were included as unauthorized, what the applicable process is, in general as well as specific to my case, etc.

This is a matter of high anxiety, concern, & frustration to a customer & these issues should be handled more appropriately, completely, & professionally. This is the purpose of speaking with a live person & customer service member. If the only goal of these reps & call centers is to gather a few pieces of incomplete information & say "thank you, your dispute is being filed," then quickly pass you off to a recording that briefly advises of basic/general procedures, where to find the form, etc. - then it's useless to the customer & I'm not sure what speaking to a rep is supposed to accomplish here.

And after reading some of these recent reviews, I'm very concerned this is not going to be handled promptly or in my best interest as a matter of customer service. I don't understand how it's not taken into consideration that this is the only money that some people have & it's an extremely stressful situation for many reasons, & for customer service/phone rep not to advise & clarify these basics while they're taking the call... is beyond me. I really hope this does not end up being a matter where I'm just out of luck & $500, with no recourse or support from Wal-mart. I also hope it's not a 10-day process at a minimum to have the funds credited back to my account.

Hi Katherine,

We'd like to have someone look into your account and discuss the concerns that you shared. We'll be in touch with you through the number provided to us by Consumer Affairs. Please private message us if there is a better phone number to reach you.

Green Dot Corporation

Original review: Jan. 9, 2017

We purchased airline tickets and the airline had to refund our money. The travel agency and United Airlines refunded to Walmart Moneycard (GREENDOT) but they will not release the block on the card. I have sent multiple emails from the travel agency to Walmart Moneycard (GREENDOT), even the refund amount forwarded from the travel agency and a screenshot, because they said they could not read it. Still they refuse to release our money. OH and the money we had put on there aside from the refund. I HAVE DONE EVERYTHING THEY HAVE ASKED. They have been holding the money since January 4th 2017.

Hi Stephanie,

We tried to contact you regarding your concerns with your Walmart MoneyCard, but haven’t been able to reach you. It is important to us that we speak with you, so that we can work towards a resolve for your account. When you have a free moment, please contact us directly, so that we may assist you further.

Green Dot Corporation

Original review: Jan. 7, 2017

I'm very upset that I didn't lose my card or had it stolen, but there was a unauthorized charge on my card that was made at Walmart in a different state. So I called customer service and they advise me they had to cancel my card and to send me a new one and it will take 7 business day. I told them I needed my money now and they told me they can rush it for an extra 15 dollars. I was not going to pay when it's not my fault. I told them I'll wait. It has been 8 days and I didn't get my card. I called them on the 7 day demanding where is my card. I just got paid and I have bills to pay. They told they're sorry and that they would send another one and that it will take another 7 days. I told them no. I want to speak to a supervisor. I talked to one and they said that there was no way to get my money until I get another card. I told them this is ridiculous and I need my money.

At this point I'm pissed off. They offer the day express for 15. I told them "no. I'm not going to pay it. This is your fault that I'm dealing with this. I need my card." I don't recommend anyone to get this card. You are screwed on getting your money without the stupid card. I'm still waiting and I will be late paying my bills because of them.

Hello Tracey,

Our records show that you spoke with a supervisor from our corporate office regarding your Walmart MoneyCard earlier today. We are glad that we were able to resolve the concerns that you shared. We value your feedback, and thank you for allowing us the opportunity to make things right. Feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions or concerns that you would like to discuss.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2017

This morning, I barely made it to Sam’s Club gas station at 6:45am in the 8-degree weather trying to get gas. I tried using my Walmart Moneycard but it wouldn't go through. I believe it had something to do with the pump. When I pushed the type of gas I wanted, it said “Thanks for your service!” What the hell? I didn't get the gas!! So Walmart Moneycard took $35.28 (which was all I had) out of my account as if the transaction went through! How could I have put that exact amount in my car when my car engine can't even take that much! I called Walmart to see if the hold could be released and I was told yes, maybe in 12 days! I needed to get to work RIGHT THEN! So I wanted to speak to a supervisor, and was told one would call me back.

3 hours later, I call back and was told again that it was considered as a TRANSACTION so a reversal could not be done per their system! I am about to lose my job because I can't get to work now and that little $35 was/is all I had for the next 2 weeks! I can't even get my medicine!! This is not fair. Because their system says a reversal cannot be done, though no fault of my own, I, the consumer, has to suffer!! I work in Consumer Affairs so now I need to take this further. I do not intend on losing my job because of them!!!

Hello David,

Original review: Jan. 4, 2017

I had a black Walmart Moneycard. I had just received a new one, with an expiration date of 2020, and loaded it when I realized there was an unauthorized deduction made. When I called to report it the agent told me my account would be closed and another card sent. I said that would be fine. After one month I still had not received my replacement card. I called again and was apologized to and told it would be sent. When I finally received it, it was not the same kind of card. I called the customer service number on the back of the card and was told by the agent that this was the card being issued now. I have never had any issues with Walmart Moneycard until now. I just wish I could get a replacement of my original card.

Hi Todd,

Original review: Jan. 4, 2017

We have used our WMC for 6 years for direct deposits, tax returns, bills, groceries, gas, online purchases, etc. without issue until they decide that one of these regular occurrences is 'unusual activity' and block the card. They do send an email when this happens but it is always a declined transaction that alerts me to the issue. After I submit a picture of the front and back of my drivers license, it says that they will need 2 days to approve my ID and unblock my card.

In the meantime, my direct deposit is returned (which creates a whole other issue) and I have NO money to do the things this cards entire purpose is to do - buy my children food, keep a roof over their heads, buy gas to get to work and so on. There is NO customer service number, just a bs automated system that is useless. It is clear they dont give a damn about the hardships this causes their customers, just the money in their pocket from holding funds that are not theirs to hold and the money saved by an overseas call center (that is also NO help at all). I am done with this company and can only hope the hardships they have caused my family will serve as a deterrent to anyone else who thinks this card is a good deal.

Hi Crystal,

We’re sorry to hear that you’ve had trouble with your card. We'd like to look into this further. We will reach out to you through the number provided to us by Consumer Affairs.

We look forward to speaking with you!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2017

I'm so furious. I filed a dispute on Dec 19 and was told with holidays it would be Jan 2. I received new cards and stayed patient. I called yesterday morning to find out status and was told to call back in the afternoon. I called back and again was told to call back after 2. I called back again and was told there was no updates but there was 3 possible outcomes. I asked for a manager but none were available. I was promised a call back within 4 hours, this morning at 5 am I was still waiting so called again.

I was again told about the 3 outcomes and because there was no updates the money should be back in my account this morning while they complete the dispute which could take 45 days. I asked for a supervisor again and was told 24 to 72 hours. This is ridiculous. I just spoke to "Chris" who said they know nothing. After 4 years of being a customer I feel lied to and betrayed. I told her I will be contacting the news and every social media I can find.

When I first called them about this I was told to just file the dispute and they would handle it. Now I am wishing I wouldn't have let them handle it. It has left my 3 year old twins with no Christmas except 2 Hot Wheels cars and me begging them for help and basically being put off. This card is great as long as you never have an issue or need anything they promise.

Hello Mallory,

Our records show that you spoke with a supervisor from our corporate office regarding your Walmart MoneyCard. We are glad that we were able to resolve the concerns that you shared. We value your feedback, and thank you for allowing us the opportunity to make things right. Feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions or concerns that you would like to discuss.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2017

I have been using Walmart money card since I started working for Murphy USA which is Walmart's affiliated gas station. I only got the card because I had to get my checked direct deposited. My checks would always come the day before. Usually at 7 in the morning but a lot of times for whatever reason they would wait and release my check to me at sometimes 2 in the afternoon. I used my card at Murphy's DAILY and at Walmart ALL of the time due to working right in front of it. Then they came out with this whole cash back rewards program. Which never states if your card is a part of it. I had just assumed mine was because again it never states if it is or isn't. I just hit the one year of having my card and guess what? It is not a part of the cash back rewards program.

So spending all that money at Murphy's and Walmart and having my monthly charges waived every single month for the last year was pointless. If you are already a card holder you SHOULD NOT have to order ANOTHER card just to get this feature. It's pretty unfair in my opinion because I've had to deal with this no English speaking company for a year now and I get nothing from it.

I have used Walmart money card for one year. The Black Card only has a $3 a month maintenance fee but if you load $500 in the previous month that fee is waived. The biggest complaint I have is having the wrong balance which has happened twice over the year and caused some embarrassment when I went to pay for something. And of course when you call to work something out there are no operators that you can understand. They have fixed it twice on their own but always took a matter of a couple weeks. Other than that only card I know that I can put $500 on the previous month and have no balance fee and I can do anything with this card I can do with my bank card. Actually probably a lot more.

Hello Ricky,

Green Dot Corporation

Original review: Jan. 2, 2017

I was sold the card to secure funds for my Puerto Rico trip and it didn't help me at all. On Christmas Day I checked my account only to see it was not just cleared out but had a negative balance. I live in Birmingham Alabama and charges from California cleaned me out the same day I used my pin in Birmingham. Most cards and banks will flag your card if it's not in the normal spending area but obviously not this one. It's Jan 2nd and I still haven't received my money or a phone call from Walmart about the issue or progress.

I've been told they are still investigating the transaction like it's not obvious I can't be in two places at the same time. I can't get any info about available security features or talk directly to a fraud department. Is it not mandatory for cards to have chips now for extra security? I just want answers on when I can pay my bills since my trip has already been compromised thanks to this card. The only answer I can get is "we don't have enough information at this time to answer that." I can't tell that to the power company..

Update on 1/07/2017: Was quoted the 6th of January to have my money back from my fraud claim and I still have not been reimbursed for a charge that was made on the other side of the US. I made the claim in Christmas Day and they keep telling me lies to get me off the phone.

Hi Andrea,

Original review: Jan. 1, 2017

I have used WALMART MONEYCARD several years, with only one problem of fraud, where someone stole a few bucks. I reported the theft, none of the money was returned, but the card was replaced, and I moved on. What a mistake. I should have dropped the card then, I just didn't pay attention. On November 3rd, 2016, I visited a vitamin company's website, to order vitamins. I found they had an order phone line, customers should call for placing orders. I asked my fiancé to call and place the order, which he did. He made contact with the company representative, placed the order, received a confirmation number, concluded the call believing the transaction had been successful.

When after a few minutes had passed, the company representative, called back and stated, "I am having a problem with your card, no funds are showing up to transfer to pay for the vitamins." My fiancé double checked the card information and confirmed it with the vitamin company, so they could try again, again without success. I proceeded to alert WALMART MONEYCARD to the issue of no order being made because the company claimed they received no funds, while when I login, all the funds had been debit from my account. Someone had taken far much more money than had been authorized, they have cleaned out all funds.

And while my account statement names the vitamin company as the receiver of my entire hard earned money stash. WALMART MONEYCARD denies my claim, telling me I need to send in documentation that I do not have. My money has simply disappeared. My life has become hopeless and void, because of WALMART MONEYCARD failure. It actually feels as though WALMART MONEYCARD has stolen from me. I used to recommend it to family, friends and strangers but no more. Now I tell everyone to STAY AWAY. I do not have any documentation other than my account record.

Updated on 01/17/2017: This is a continues the heart breaking saga of the naïve, uninformed and deceived. After my first review posted here, the GREEN DOT corporation made claim to having tried to contact me by phone several times, at least that's what the private emails sent to me here state. Hmmmm... sounds dubious to me because I have voice mail available but no one at GREEN DOT bothered to leave any messages. I just happened to think of checking on the review I wrote here and "Le Voila." Just as all of the hard earned money I loaded on the GREEN DOT CORP/WALMART MONEYCARD simply vanished, without prior notice emails, that have me believing they are filled with dishonesty.

When I at first discovered them, I became optimistic towards a just and fair resolution to the fraudulent scam I became victim of, that was short lived. I left a reply reiterating my contact information, but while doing so I noticed that, while asking me to contact them there was not a phone number nor name list, optimism faded. So I looked up the GREEN DOT CORP number hoping that GREEN DOT CORP would be separate from WALMART MONEYCARD but to no avail. After several attempts to speak with someone that was honest, I wound up speaking to the same clearing house low life scumbag as before.

Folks help me to sound an ALARM to the unsuspecting public about these THIEVES. These people cannot and should not be trusted. The public needs to be made aware of the fact that these cards are not insured against fraud by the FDIC. Another aspect of this thing is that there is no government investigation on any suspended fraud that I could find.

Don't take this comment wrong but these people are working out of a country that recently has been proven to be ripe with scammers taking advantage of US citizens. It is my hope that others that have fallen victim to one of these unprotect thief employing corporations would join with me in getting the government to enact a law requiring them to shout it out they do not guarantee secure online transactions or that your money is NOT insured by FDIC. It may be there in the small print, but that's just part of these corporate scam, "it's in our literature." They take advantage of the ETHICS and HONESTY of hard working men and women that reflect their work ethics onto these corrupt money stealing corporations. If anyone is interested in joining together to bring this corruption to an end, please leave a comment. Thank you. Live long and prosper.

Hi Giovanna,

Original review: Jan. 1, 2017

On December 31st 2016 I purchased a Walmart prepaid money card in which I put $79 on at Walmart. When I got home I went to the website to register the card and gave all information correctly that they required. Upon doing so I was told that they could not verify who I was and then I would not be able to get a card with my name on it and could only use my temporary card for normal purchases. Just meaning I could not get the cash off my card. I can only use it as credit and I can't reload the card because they cannot verify my information because they don't know what information I missing. The card was purchased to be able to load a certain amount of money by a certain amount of time so I could buy a bus ticket home.

I have talked to two customer service reps. One said they were in Utah and the second time I called and the phone was answered by a very similar sounding woman who told me she was in the Philippines that she had no supervisors that could help me with my problem and I could only use my card for regular purchases and the word sorry about a hundred times. I did everything that was required of me after purchasing and opening the package. None of these stipulations in which they are stating are noted on the outside of the package. It is a cash back money card debit and I can only use it as credit and I cannot reload it so I don't have enough money to purchase the whole amount that I need to credit to the card and they will not give me a corporate number and they are supposed to be calling me back. Can somebody please help?

Walmart MoneyCard Company Profile