2. Finance
  3. Prepaid Cards

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.97/5

The Walmart MoneyCard is a prepaid banking card. The card includes a variety of features such as cash back rewards at Walmart.com, Walmart Fuel Stations and Walmart stores. The card has no fees at Walmart locations, and it has a mobile app that lets you track your purchases and deposit funds into your account.

BOTTOM LINE

The Walmart MoneyCard is a good choice for frequent Walmart shoppers. The card has cash back rewards up to $75 each year. You can manage your funds and deposit cash on the go with the MoneyCard app.

PROS

• Cash back on Walmart purchases
  • 2% APY annually
  • Up to four free family accounts

CONS

• No fees only at Walmart locations
  • Numerous fees

Top Walmart MoneyCard Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Walmart MoneyCard?

Everything's working very well with my Walmart MoneyCard. I like that I can’t go over. … I can go to the store right now, and in five minutes, it’s already showed up on my transactions. ... I also use the direct deposit and sometimes I actually am paid before my co-workers. We’re a happy customer.

I like my Walmart MoneyCard. It really is great. I love it. I like that I don’t have to have a bank account. I use their online app and I like that I can check my transactions and that the transactions show up right away. I’ve been very satisfied.

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

What is a Walmart MoneyCard?

The Walmart money card is a prepaid debit card offered through Walmart. Customers earn cash back rewards for using their Walmart MoneyCard at Walmart stores and fuel stations and online at Walmart.com. The cash back rewards can be accessed after 12 months of use as long as the card maintains a positive balance.

Other features of the Walmart MoneyCard include:

• No overdraft fees
    • 2% annual interest
    • Free cash reloads using the Walmart app
    • ASAP Direct Deposit
    • Free family accounts

To enroll in the Walmart MoneyCard program, visit the company’s website and fill out the application form. You must supply your name, address, phone number, Social Security number and preferred card type: Visa or Mastercard.

Walmart MoneyCard fees

The Walmart MoneyCard has several fees, including:

• Monthly fee: $5.94, but waived if $1,000 or more was loaded onto the card in the previous monthly period
    • ATM withdrawal: $2.50
    • Teller cash withdrawal: $2.50
    • Cash reload fee: $5.95, but free if cash is loaded using the app at a Walmart location
    • ATM balance inquiry: 50 cents
    • Activation fee: One-time $1 fee
    • International transactions: 3% of purchase
    • Paper checks: $5.95 for a pack of 12 paper checks
    • Card replacement fee: $3 for standard delivery and $15 for expedited delivery

Walmart MoneyCard FAQ

Does Walmart MoneyCard deposit early?
    Yes, with the ASAP Direct Deposit feature, customers can access their payday funds two days early and benefits four days early.
    How do I activate my Walmart MoneyCard?
    To activate your Walmart MoneyCard, enroll in the program and follow the instructions provided for activating your card. There is a one-time $1 setup and activation fee.
    Can I withdraw money from my Walmart MoneyCard?
    Yes, but ATM and teller fees apply.
    How do I check my balance on my Walmart MoneyCard?
    Use the Walmart MoneyCard app to check your card’s balance, make mobile check deposits and monitor transactions.
    Can I use my Walmart MoneyCard at a gas pump?
    Yes. Plus, you earn 2% cash back if you use the card at a Walmart fuel station.

Is the Walmart MoneyCard good?

The Walmart MoneyCard is good for customers who frequently shop at Walmart stores and are looking for a simple way to manage money while earning rewards. The simple nature of the card and app helps customers load funds and monitor transactions wherever they are. However, it is best to keep an eye on the fees associated with ATM withdrawals and cash reloads.

Walmart MoneyCard Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Walmart MoneyCard?

Original review: March 15, 2020

I always have cashed in my checks in Walmart, and then I saw the Walmart MoneyCard one day and I asked the lady about it. She was like, I could even have my checks deposited on it. So, I grabbed it and got it. I’ve been able to manage just fine with it. It’s been good to me. The only thing I don’t like about it is I can’t pull money off of it. I can, but even when I go to Walmart, I could only pull a $100 at a time off of it or they charge me the $3 fee every time. I thought when the lady told me as long as it’s direct deposit or I got the card, any time I put money on it, it doesn’t charge me. My direct deposit doesn’t charge me, but if I go in and try to load money on to it, they charge a $3 fee. And that’s another thing. I could only do it at Walmart. I can’t do it at any ATM.

But the benefit is I could use it anywhere. I don’t have to carry cash with me. My direct deposit is good too. I’ve never had a problem with it. However, the reload is just finding a person at Walmart that knows how to do it. You’re supposed to be able to go to any register and be able to load it, but most people don’t know how to do it. So, I end up having to go to customer service to do it. My lady has this card too and at first, I always go to Walmart to wire her money. But with Walmart MoneyCard, it’s just easy transaction over the phone, internet access, use the app to go on there and pull her name up, send her money. She goes on her phone and receives it. She just puts in her card number and it’s that simple.

Original review: March 5, 2020

Everything's fine with Walmart MoneyCard. I had one problem one time before. I ordered something through the mail, and it wasn't the right item. So, when I sent it back, I gotta wait on the refund but the money never came back. I was out of $300. I also didn't have anybody to talk to as far as customer service to see what was going on. The system wasn't giving me the option. When you call the 800 number as far as talking to somebody about transactions, I didn't have the option to speak with someone or if it did, I didn't hit the right button. I wish there was a person that was accessible to see and tell you what was going on.

Other than those, I like that there were no overdraft fees. If it's there, it's there, if it ain't, it ain't. I use my Walmart card to just order stuff because I don't like to use the card with my bank with more money, and I like to put just an amount on there to order things. I've had Walmart MoneyCard for five to six years. I use the app sometimes, but being that I got multiple cards, sometimes I can get confused on which one goes to which one.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

At the time when I couldn't get a bank account due to situations I had in my life and I needed a place for my check to go to as well as to make some online billing easier for me, I learned about Walmart MoneyCard. I've used them off and on for a couple of years, and I've had the the current card I use for over a year now. I have been reloading it at my closest Walmart.

The plus side of the whole thing is I've never had any issues or concerns with the MoneyCard. Every once in a while, I would log into my account 'cause I keep basically everything in my savings. And when I make purchases, that's when I transfer the money into where I could actually spend it. Sometimes, it takes a second to get in, but it's smooth for the most part. Another plus I've noticed is we get paid on Friday and I get mine on Thursday. There are a lot of perks. Also, I've talked with many friends who have banking issues and some people who can't have bank accounts, and I highly recommended the MoneyCard to every single one of them. Even if somebody still had a bank account for credit reasons, I always recommend having a Walmart MoneyCard.

Hi Justin,

We appreciate your feedback. As with any business, the greatest advertising that any company can have is word of mouth from a satisfied customer. We hope that you continue to enjoy your Walmart MoneyCard and all of it's great features! Thanks for being a part of the Green Dot family.

Green Dot Bank

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

Since I couldn't get an account anywhere else, I went with Walmart Money Card and it's going great. I've been using my MoneyCard for a little over a year so far, and I like the save and unsave option in the app. The only part that's harder is that I can't go to a bank and just withdraw money. There's no way to easily withdraw money. I have to go in public and do cashback, which kinda suck to end up having to spend money to get money out of my account. It doesn't charge me a fee but I have to buy something. And when I have to do cashback at a store, I get charged double to use an ATM because I get charged with the ATM then charged by them as well. The only Walmart near me is far away so I don't get a chance to go there very often, and I don't like that I get charged to use the services at a Walmart.

Then, I would also like it to be easier for the people I send money to to get the money that I send them 'cause that's been one of the biggest hassles. Sending money to people is easy for me, but it's not easy for them to get the money that I'm sending them. I used to send money to people that I owe money to, like to pay my rent to them, but they end up having to get a Walmart card also in order to get the money. On the other hand, one benefit is cashing a check or depositing a check and getting cashback. I have direct deposit at my job and it's nice and cool that I get my check deposited a day earlier than anybody else back where I work.

Hi Ingird,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with our card. We do our best to offer alternatives to traditional banks by offering a variety of features and simple fees. Thanks again for being a loyal customer.

Green Dot Bank

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

My overall experience with Walmart money card has been good m. There are a few things however that needs to be addressed that can approve the overall experience for not only myself, but others. My husband account was closed due to us loading our tax return on there because we weren’t aware that it could have been direct deposited at the time. Instead of being asked to provide some sort of verification as to where the money was coming from, because I guess Walmart employees had viewed it suspiciously, the account was closed and he was informed he wouldn’t be able to obtain one ever in the future. That should not be the policy and there should be an option to provide legitimate verification versus a decision like that being made and not being able to be reversed.

The other issue is loading the card. It should not be so difficult and time consuming to load the card. At the Walmart in Rohnert Park, CA, you used to be able to load the card at any register and I was recently informed that you were no longer able. To have to wait in line at Customer service due to the money center always being closed for whatever reason was absolutely absurd! There was a couple of times where I didn’t even bother and I needed to load the card to take care of my rent. The line at Customer Service is always so long that you could wait fifteen minutes easily. Besides these issues I enjoy having a Walmart money card. My payroll and financial aid is direct deposited onto it and it makes life easier, especially for those who may not be able to obtain an checking/savings account.

Hi Constance,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us. We do our best to offer alternatives to traditional banks by offering a variety of features and simple fees. Your feedback has been shared with our product developers for consideration.

Green Dot Bank

Original review: Oct. 25, 2020

I don't understand how they (WALMART MONEY CARD/GREEN DOT) are a financial institution that prides themselves on posting your deposits as soon as they are notified about them but they can't put money back that's in a pending state because the transactions were being denied at the place I was trying to make a on line order from. I have used my debit card to make this same transaction several time since 2017 and have never had this issue before. Customer service reps I have spoke with both times today were completely of NO HELP to me. It's been 3 days with my money just lost in the financial wires and all they can say is have to wait for the transactions to completely post before I can file a dispute. Well that is a problem because the company denied the.

So as I told the reps as well as the ones from where I was ordering, I am disabled and budget to live in motels through the month and that seems almost impossible without any problems. And now I'm here with .37 to my name and have no idea about where I'm going to stay tomorrow and it is already getting too cold here in Colorado for me because I've had 4 back surgeries. Where is the compassion and humanity towards others? Just don't put all your money with because if things go wrong be prepared to just sit on your hands til they will let you dispute it.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

If I could give 0 stars even negative stars I would. Unbelievable. First of all, my current hold time with customer service is 3 hours so far! I have not received my replacement card and have no access to my money to pay bills. I have had an account with Walmart money card over 10 years. My card expired 09/20 and I have requested my replacement card 4 times! Last one was supposed to be here at the latest by 10/04/2020. They said there was no way for me to get card faster than 10 days though I read online that you can for $15.00 extra, if it was offered as an option I would have gladly pay it. But now I think they should pay to send it now.

Now all of my payments for bills that come out directly have bounced back and will not go through... including money for rent and my son's birthday was yesterday, That's how I receive my child support and I cannot get to my money. Still on hold... I chatted online with customer service 3 times. Today someone told me to wait 2 more days. I'm so frustrated.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

I am now stranded on the side of the road with no money because GreenDot services put $75 on hold because I paid at a gas pump for $10 worth of gasoline. I called the gasoline company to which they said they did not put $75 on hold. They only try to authorize $1. We called Walmart card services and they tried to blame the merchant to which they were told the merchant can not place money on hold. Only the cardholder services can do this. The man we spoke to did not have anything to tell us except it would no longer be on hold October 23rd. I told them we were traveling and had $0 now. We have no gas and 2 hungry children on the side of the highway because we can’t move without gas. They could care less! DO NOT get this card if you don’t want to be left stranded on the side of the road hundreds of miles from home.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2020

I have always used Walmart Money Cards Visa, MasterCard and Unlimited. I had unauthorized purchases on my account $1,762.05, they will not cover the charges! The paperwork included with the card states "We will provide a provisional credit to your registered account within 10 business days for the amount you think is in error, so that you will have the use of the money during the time it takes us to complete the investigation."

I did everything that was asked of me, I sent in the documentation needed within the time needed. I resent the documentation a second time along with proof of the 1st time I sent documentation, I was told they never got my documentation. I got the run around, hung up on, told something is in the mail (I have never received anything) and told my dispute was closed. I signed all the receipts. I will be getting the letter with receipts in the mail (IMPOSSIBLE, never got). It has all been one lie and runaround not to pay back the money I worked hard to get!!

Since then I have had all my Walmart, Unlimited and new accounts restricted, they have taken even more money from me!! This is wrong on many levels!! I work hard for the money I make to have some big shady company and their workers lie, cover up and steal my money!!! I fought hard to get the money they took, I didn't get my COVID unemployment for 6 months. They took what little I had for my bills on top of the person that used my card!!! Disgusting what has been done!!! DO NOT USE ANY WALMART OR GREEN DOT CARDS!!! I used to be a regular user but NEVER AGAIN!!!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

I had used my Walmart MoneyCard for a hotel stay. The cost of the stay was $163, but this company added a "pending transaction" for $186.48 two days later. That was 31 days ago as of today. They told me that it would be released if the hotel sent confirmation that the funds should be released. The hotel sent me a copy showing that they faxed the Moneycard all of the requested information over 2 weeks ago. They had also claimed that it would be released within 31 days without the confirmation from the hotel. This has not happened.

I have called them several times, informed them that I was recording the call, and they keep "suggesting" that I jump through more hoops to get my money back. Ie: have the hotel send the confirmation to them, call the hotel again, email the hotel (even though I have the email showing that the information had already been faxed to them), etc. The gentleman that I spoke with today claims that the money will be posted back to my account this evening, but that it's supposedly still WITHIN 31 days. 31 days from 11am on September 5th is 11am on October 6th. We'll see if my money is returned tonight. But I will not recommend this card to anyone. I will be withdrawing the funds (when it is released) and closing this account.

Walmart MoneyCard Company Information