3.55/5
Based on 2,901 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Walmart MoneyCard is a reloadable, prepaid debit card that provides consumers with cash back rewards on purchases they make every day. Use it everywhere Debit MasterCard® or Visa® debit cards are accepted in the U.S. Rewards include 3% cash back at Walmart.com, 2% cash back at Murphy USA and Walmart fuel stations, and 1% cash back at Walmart stores. Earn up to $75 in cash back rewards per year.

Walmart MoneyCard offers free direct deposit and will allow you to send money for free to other Green Dot Bank issued cards. The new Walmart MoneyCard app is now available to track your money around the clock. Contact us today to learn more!

ABBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: April 22, 2018

4955 Walmart MoneyCard Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 17, 2018

I have been using Walmart MoneyCard for yrs. I moved and lost my card. So I changed the address using the app and put in for replacement. They locked my acct for sus behavior. Had to wait for replacement card to verify ID because I needed the 16 digits on front. While I was waiting my taxes were sent and the company blocked my deposit. Now 3 mos later the IRS has to trace where my money is because they never received the return. When I called all they could say was it was returned. And no corporate number to state my issue to just reps who don't know how to fix the problem.

Get the news you need delivered right to you!

Join over 300,000 subscribers and receive the latest expert advice, consumer news, and recall notices in your inbox.

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 16, 2018

My son in law had his checks go direct deposit on a Walmart money card, they rejected his card so the deposit was invalid. They stated they sent the money back and it would take 2 business days for the transaction to take place. As of today's date he has not received any of his money back. He had a deposit of $943 plus a $762 bonus, his money is held up in cyber land, they keep telling him to check with his employer, the employer is telling him they have to record or indication that his checks were returned.

The Federal authorities need to investigate this company and best believe, I am starting that movement as soon as I finish this review. I want them investigated and charged with stealing. I am telling everyone I know do not purchase one of these cards, they are bogus and the representatives are thieving liars. God is my judge, I want them prosecuted and the cards banned. My son in law has a family and bills, their rent, utility bills, car notes, everything is in jeopardy because of these bogus operations committed by this company.

I pray the fire of the Holy Ghost rain fire judgment on the people who are operating this type of fraudulent activity... I am so hurt and angry... I want vindication in this matter and will not stop until I get it. I tell everyone I know, do not purchase these cards, please do not use Walmart Money Cards, they take your money and do not return it, they deactivate your card without you knowing it. The only thing left for me to do is assist my son in law to proceed with legal representation against this company.

Original review: April 16, 2018

They lied. Said I can make immediate online purchases. Couldn't. Couldn't get money back. Went to ATM. The ATM ate the card then called to get a new one. It never showed so I call every day to fix it. They don't help at all then they get rude. I get rude. All the sudden my cards blocked due to unusual activity. Don't know how. I never got a card so I send picture of ID and still nothing. No help and not only that now they have me on some kind of list where they put me on hold for a hour and a half to 2 hours. I don't get how if someone did this on the streets they would go to jail but they literally stole my money and won't give it back to me and there's nothing at all I can do about it.

Original review: April 15, 2018

An absolute joke. This company’s customer service needs to be trained on knowing their job. I have spoken with 12-15 different people so far after my account was blocked without notifying me. I was told to send a document. I did and it was received. I was told it would be unblocked within 24 hours. The stories go on and on. Here it is 3 days later and no access to my money. I wouldn’t recommend this service to anyone.

Original review: April 15, 2018

I have gotten a temporary card that still had 125 dollars on it. When I tried to upload it would take my card number. It's been 3 months now and still can't get through. Never will use your service again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Walmart MoneyCard?

Original review: April 14, 2018

Horrible card!!! Please for the love of your hard earned money do not use this card! I got the Walmart MoneyCard as an alternative card until I had some free time to go to the bank. Someone took my card and used it, naturally I called and let them know what happened. Things seemed to go as normal. They said "we'll send you a new card in the mail, upload your ID to the website" dot dot dot. Did all of that, new card comes in, I call and ask if my ID has been accepted yet. They told me, "No. We closed your account and we will mail you your check." They gave me no heads up, they would have let me run around in the dark had I not called!

Called 3 separate times received 3 separate answers. The last call I made I finally got a real answer. I asked for an email verification that these are the steps they will be taking. Walmart MoneyCard told me that sending me an email to verify they will indeed be sending me a check in the mail for my $934 was not possible. I'm pregnant and broke without transportation or food. I'm walking to work and back home with no food, thank god I am sneaking snacks at work. I'm taking Walmart MoneyCard to small claims court. I do not trust Walmart MoneyCard at all and I'll let you know if that check comes in the mail. I'm hoping for the best but I'm making my case early, just to be on the safe side!

Original review: April 13, 2018

I have been using the Walmart MoneyCard for a few years. I reported my card lost on the 30th, and as soon as I received the new card in the mail I have not been able to access any of my money. I have about 1500 dollars on there and have not been able to talk to a real person to get anywhere. They say I need to verify my ID, and every time I put the pictures on, using their guidelines, it reads that it does not work and is illegible. I just wish I could talk to a real person and get this straightened out. Once I do get it straightened out I plan on taking everything off it and going with a different card from a different company. I WILL get every last cent that is mine.

Original review: April 13, 2018

My card was blocked 2 months ago. When I called customer support to unblock my card they told me there was suspicious activity on my card because I loaded 200 dollars to my card. I was told by some foreign lady that there was nothing I could and I would have to wait for their investigation to be over with. After about a month I called back and now it goes straight to a machine saying my card is blocked and could no longer use it, but yet I'm still being charge every month. I need my money for bills and they're refusing to return my money.

Original review: April 11, 2018

2 weeks ago I submitted to Walmart dispute forms for 5 fraud transactions on my account. They say it takes 10 business days for the dispute to process. I have called within in 10 days excluding weekends and I’m repeatedly told by different reps they never received my dispute form. Email them again. Another week of emailing dispute forms. Two every day to ensure they get them. Boom another rep says, "We haven’t received anything." I’m not sure what to do. My card is closed, the dispute was called in two weeks ago but can’t be processed because they keep saying they haven’t gotten my documents when I’ve sent them 10 plus times. Why should I use a card where I can’t dispute transactions without having the runaround?

Original review: April 11, 2018

My tax prep lady who did my taxes had my taxes to be deposited to the Walmart Card. When I told her in Feb I moved and haven't gotten a card I had another one sent out. Two days later they blocked my card. Accepted my refunds this month. When I verified myself with birth certificate, military ID, SSC, they took 7081$ and won't give me my money. I have lupus and heart issues. I need my heart meds. I don't receive welfare. Run me my money.

Original review: April 11, 2018

My card was deactivated because I never received my new card. When I received the new card I couldn’t activate it. It’s been a month and a half and I still haven’t received another card. Rent and car note is due. I need my money. I been patient for too long. My next move will be contacting the BBB.org.

Original review: April 10, 2018

At the end of March 2018, I had fraudulent transactions on my account and I disputed the charges and still no resolution. One customer service rep told me 7 days, the other 7 business days and the last one told me 10 business days. What takes so long to investigate these fraudulent transactions and give my money back?

Original review: April 10, 2018

Hi. I cashed my refund check at Walmart. Loaded $2000 on my prepaid Walmart money card. I paid my car note off my card in the amount of $397. That payment was successful. Soon after I tried paying my utility bill of $249. It was declined. Then I got this disturbing email saying my card was blocked due suspicious activity. So I stated that I needed to verify myself. So I sent in a copy of my passport 4 times, each time they said it wasn't legible. So then I was told to send it straight to their email IDVgreendotcorp.com. I did that & remind you this all took place on April 2018. I called on the 5th & I was told they had gotten my documents & they've attached it to my file.

I was told that the block will be removed from my card within 24-48 hours. I’ve called I know over 20 times. Each representative told me something different. My utilities went off on Friday Thanks to this company. I had to stay at my neighbor’s house with no food or money over the weekend. Plus I have custody of my 2 grandboys 11&9. Shaking my head. SHAME on this company for robbing people & putting them in horrible situations. I'm seeking legal counsel if this is not resolved soon.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I rented a truck from Budget and they placed a $150 hold on my card. After returning the truck my card was charged for the total and the hold was released. I've spoken with Budget a few times and they gave me a hold release confirmation number. I spoke with Walmart MoneyCard customer service and the lady I talked to said my funds won't be released until May 21st, that will be over 2 months for my funds to be available to me. How does this even happen when the company that placed the hold released it 2 days later?

Original review: April 7, 2018

Bought card Nov. Used Dec. Lost card. Finally got replaced. Walmart locked card. Been trying to submit documents. Unlegible document. All they say. Can't get any help through the phone. Not a real person to help me. Customer service is a automotive computer. I feel so stress. Never will I ever use your Company again. Sad, bad experience altogether.

Original review: April 7, 2018

A note to potential customers of Walmart Money Card: In August 2017, my account was accessed by an unknown IP address in New York, and 20 min. later by an IP in San Bernardino. I am a resident of northern Nevada. Within several days just under $6000 in on-line purchases were made withdrawing everything except $1.60. No plastic card is needed to make on-line purchases, just the cardholder name, number, and expiration date. Once discovering the loss I immediately notified Walmart MoneyCard, closed the account, and filed a claim. Well of course, their investigation determined the charges were all “authorized” because if they were “not authorized” they would have to reimburse me for losses within 2 weeks. That is what the agreement with and the VISA logo on the card is supposed to represent, confidence that your funds are protected.

I went through the lengthy claim process, reviewed the files, filed a police report, and sent several letters to their dispute resolution e-mail address. After reviewing the charge information I was able to clearly show the charges were not authorized and with the caller ID information was able to identify a suspect, unknown to me, in Victorville CA. Several letters later and still no response from Walmart MoneyCard for over 6 months. I recently filed for the binding arbitration as described in the cardholder agreement. Green Dot Bank is supposed to upfront the cost of the arbitration. Again, no response. Of course, I have attempted to call them but since the account is closed, I cannot get through the automated system. Of course, I have e-mailed them but the result is always the same, no response. Guess no response means, you’re out of luck.

I suggest you review what other customers have to say and you will find numerous posts discussing unauthorized access to accounts where perpetrators changed passwords and challenge questions to lock the cardholder out of the account. While the cardholder is trying to figure out what is going on they drain the daily maximum from the account. So now, you have been informed of the risk, if you intend to maintain a substantial balance on your Walmart MoneyCard. Happy trails.

Original review: April 7, 2018

If I could give a zero I would!! I’ve have had a Walmart money card for about 6 years or so now. Never had a problem out of it until here lately. So, on 3/23 I was looking at transactions & seen someone had spent $1425 from my card. I called the customer service in which had to make them keep repeating what they said but I could barely understand what they said. I explained to the person and he told me that they couldn't do anything since the charges are “pending.“ To call back when they went through. So later that same day they finally went. I call back yet to get another person who seems to barely speak English. Told she was deactivating my card and I would be charged 3.00$ for a new 1. Asked which transaction I was disputing and I told her of 5 different ones and she asked me 3 different times if I authorized them which I said NO!!

Was told to go online and file dispute transaction forms and email them and that my money would be placed back on my card within 10 business days while they did their so-called “investigation”. So today’s the 7th still no update or money so I call back to get told, “Oh well our team did their “investigation” and said the charges were authorized. That you made them.” Well obviously if I authorized them I wouldn’t be calling ** about where my money was!!! All I get is, “Ohhh so you didn’t authorize these transactions?” Really lady!!! I told lady on phone 2 weeks ago 3 different times they are NOT authorized!!

Tells me they closed that case but she can file another dispute and do the same process over again. So, from the looks of it I’ll never see my 1400$ again. Rip off **. Beware of using these people who give you the runaround and take your money and claim you made the transaction when clearly I didn’t!!! They will steal your money and you’ll never see it again. Take your business elsewhere if you’re smart!!!

Original review: April 7, 2018

Called on 3/17 to dispute fraud which they told me 7 business days. They credited me back on 03/22 7 of the 9 transactions I sent them. I called them on 3/28 regarding the other 2 and they tell me they were on the 1st form that I sent them and made me do another form and file a case the same day. These two transactions were also made with the same companies from the 1st fraud report that they didn't do correct the first time. It's now 04/06 and they are telling me they will provide more details on 04/11.

I need my money NOW!!!! And why is this taking longer than the first one that wasn't done correct, also the last man I spoke with kept talking over me saying my dispute was completed and told me to stop talking... Really? I then tell him there is another case open, he breathes heavy then ask for that number? I was so polite while he was rude. I am waiting for Monday to call my lawyer because apparently his assistant told me this is very common with Green Dot Bank... Stay away!!!

Original review: April 5, 2018

I really have had no problems with Walmart's MoneyCard, until now!!! I have had two unauthorized charges show up on my card. Called to get this taken care of, and they simply will not do anything for 7-10 business days, meanwhile, my money is tied up. I was on hold waiting for a so-called customer service rep for over 20 minutes. I think there is only two. Well, they are no help. Their attitude is, well we aren't even going to entertain this for 7-10 business days, so the hackers can continue to eat up your funds. For that reason alone, I will no longer do business with Walmart. I plan to make sure I inform as many people as possible to do the same thing.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I lost my card and called Walmart MoneyCard to replace. I was in the process of an address change so my mail is being reordered at the post office, I notified them of my new address. However I received a message that I need to log in and upload my driver's license to prove my identity. I was confused because I just spoke with the rep Isaac about this. I went to walmartmoneycard.com/document upload and I’m unable to log on as it requires my card number which I DO NOT HAVE AS MY CARD IS LOST! When I call the CS line, I am unable to reach a live person. I am just given a recording that says my card is blocked and that I need to upload documents. I cannot reach a live person at all. There is no number to ask for live assistance. My money is stuck and I don’t know what to do. My direct deposit is set up on this card and the last one hasn’t posted to my account. I am so angry and just don’t know what to do!

Original review: April 5, 2018

Everything is great but I can't add this card to Android pay. And when I stay at a motel I have to put a security deposit on hold with the card. But every time the hotel tries to return the money I never get it back even though the merchant tries to refund. Other than that A+.

Original review: April 5, 2018

After having a large direct deposit sent to my Walmart Green Dot MoneyCard, I was able to make two purchases. Next, my purchases started to get declines so after calling customer support I was told by an automated system to go and verify my identity online by uploading a copy of my Identification. I went online and submitted a picture of the front and back of my card. 10 minutes later I was told they could not verify my identity and have closed my account. I have tried all day and can't get through to a human. The automated number keeps hanging up after telling me my account is closed. I have a large amount of money that I now cannot access. I am a single father and have many bills and obligations and cannot afford to lose my money.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I didn’t know that I would get rewards for having money on my card. I looked at my statement and noticed I had a $25 reward. There’s nothing like getting free money! I like the stash option, it allows me to save money. Great rewards.

Walmart MoneyCard response
Hi Taneshia,
We're so happy to hear that you like your Walmart MoneyCard. Mission Accomplished! We do our best to offer alternatives to traditional banks by offering a variety of features, simple fees, and rewards. We hope that you continue to enjoy your Walmart MoneyCard and all of it's great features. Thanks again for being a loyal customer.

Green Dot Corporation

Original review: April 4, 2018

It’s been a pretty good experience. Overall could do better with the app rewards for shopping at Walmart. I think every three to four months should be able redeem rewards and it start over cause some people shop at Walmart a lot like myself and I know I probably earn more than 75 a year.

Walmart MoneyCard response
Hi Stephanie,
We're so happy to hear that you like your Walmart MoneyCard. Thank you for your feedback! We also thank you for your suggestion, we will forward it to the correct team.

Thanks, Green Dot Corporation

Original review: March 30, 2018

I have been a member for two years now. I recently decided to check my balance and transactions and realized that over 1400.00 has been spent in the last few days at Sam's Club, Lowe’s, Tabuki... in NEW MEXICO and ARIZONA, when I live NOWHERE near those places. You allow these people to steal all of that from me, but yet you have NUMEROUS customers whose cards you are locking due to “suspicious activity”. No sense of customer service. I waited 20 minutes to speak to someone who wanted to rush me off the phone and over to the automatic system to listen to “more information”, that informed me that I STILL HAD TO DO A FORM.

After all of these posts about suspicious activity not being resolved, I have no faith that I will get my money back. 1464.37 of MY MONEY NOT PROTECTED BY WALMART MONEY CARD. Do not and I repeat DO NOT trust this bank or put large amounts of money in it. I am not the first to get ripped off by these “Lowe’s” and “Sam's Club” transactions and NOT be notified. I wish you would’ve locked my card and asked for an ID like you did all of your INNOCENT customers!

Original review: March 30, 2018

I had a large check deposited into my account, which was placed on a 5 day hold...then the day before the funds were avail to me, my account was closed. My paycheck usually gets direct deposited into this account, and my tax return also was going to be put on this card. There was no attempt from Walmart or Green Dot to contact me in any way shape or form. How am I supposed to get my remaining monies in the amount of 2500$+?

Original review: March 30, 2018

Everything was going perfectly fine until a few days ago. Started noticing unauthorized transactions on my account. Called in, ordered a new card & disputed transactions. After activating new card & trying to use it my account is frozen & I send photo of my ID. They took longer than 48 to unlock my account. Now I’m waiting for dispute to be finished, which was supposed to be completed yesterday. I call today & they tell me my account will be closed but they cannot give me a reason why (mind you I’ve been them for years.) They’re also stating that cannot tell me when my funds will be back on my card & that I have to wait...& that when my remaining funds are spent that my card will be closed! What the what!!!

Original review: March 29, 2018

All my money is blocked!!! I haven't had money to take care of my family!!! Customer Service Representative keeps telling me 24-48 hours and it's an entire week. I've sent documents proving who I am but no one can tell me why! Never used this company! Bad business!!!

Original review: March 29, 2018

I need help. I have a Walmart pre-paid visa money card I purchased from Wal-mart. I register the account they send me back one with my name on it. I begin to use it. All is well. Then I put a large amount of funds on the card. To use to buy stuff on internet, I begin to use and after two purchases, I get an email stating Card is blocked and closed. I go through the steps to unblock card. I had to take pictures of driver's license front and back and send it in. Then it tells me my driver's license is not acceptable and will not work.

I then call the number on the back of the card and it tells me, "We were unable to verify your documents, this card is closed. Goodbye." I have over $500.00 dollars on this card that is closed and cannot get any answers, I send in all the info that I was told to do. Which really doesn't make any sense anyway, being it's a pre-paid card that I put my own money to begin with. No verification was needed at the time I purchased the card. I now have been using my time for the last day and a half to try and fix a problem caused by using my card, CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME ASAP.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I have a Walmart card with Synchrony Bank and I have had this card for a little over 7 months for I have never went over my limit and I have always paid on this card on time. Today 03/29/2018 I went to go pay a payment on the account and there was a message in bold telling me my account was close. The first thing I did was talk to one of the customer service rep through the online chat thing and I was told to contact TransUnion because it was in reference to something they sent over to them (Walmart, Synchrony).

I called Synchrony 1800 number on the Walmart card and the representative stated she couldn't tell me why because she didn't have the paperwork on hand that they sent over but they will send me something in the mail within 7-10 business days. The account was close on 03/27/2018 and I didn't have any knowledge of it. Until 03/29/2018 my credit score is still the same so I'm just at a totally lost for words but I plan to file a complaint. This is just too unfair because I do not want this affecting my credit score.

Walmart MoneyCard Company Information