Walmart MoneyCard

I love my Walmart MoneyCard. It's easy to use and I get my direct deposited one day before it comes out. Love, love, loved it. Thank you. I will tell my family and friends about Walmart MoneyCard. It's a great way to get your direct deposit and taxes add on your card easy and safe.

I got this card mainly for direct deposit due to my previous job's requirements. I didn't have a bank at the time, so I went to WalMart and picked up a pre-paid! It was easy to activate and I've had no problems with the DD. Now that I have a bank and a job with no DD requirements, I still use my WalMart card almost daily! I put the money I want to spend on it, and I use it for online shopping, Redbox, etc. No crazy fees or anything, and I just get cash back if needed at the check stand at stores for free! I definitely recommend this card to anyone. :)

I love the Walmart MoneyCard. Easy to use, no hassles, and works exactly how I expect it. No withdrawal limits too! Also no overdraft nonsense. If I don't have the funds, they just simply deny that card. No fee, no tricks, just a simple card denied. The iOS mobile app works great and is always updated with the correct amount! I use the Walmart MoneyCard as my primary card and I also have direct deposit setup. I'll be a card holder for life. :)

I have carried my Walmart Card for well over 5 years now and love the fact that I can load it at any Walmart in the U.S.A and my wife can use it at home or abroad. The only downfall is that Green Dot reloads are expensive but are available at all Kwik Shops and most truck stops.

Having a more extensive, detailed bank statement will be beneficial for both Walmart Moneycard/Green Dot Bank and their consumers. Statements would include (on paper and mobile app) all pending transactions, completed transactions and declined transactions permanently with exact date and time the card was used instead of today's (03-22-17) setup which shows pending transactions only for the time it's pending then disappearing from statements once completed showing the date of completion and not the actual date the charge was first processed. This confuses Customer Service Representatives as well as consumers who are reading from the consumers' account. CSRs will have more accuracy and understanding of transaction history which will better assist them with assisting us, the consumer when dealing with general questions and concerns.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Walmart MoneyCard?

I enjoy the ease of loading my card at Walmart, as well as the rewards that I can gain. However, I would much prefer if the card itself had a Visa logo, as it is a Visa card. The lack of a Visa logo makes it appear to be a gift card and childish. The biggest issue that I have with the Walmart card is that my balance appears on multiple restaurant receipts. For account security reasons, this makes me extremely uncomfortable.

I got a Walmart MoneyCard, for a job I had started, it was great! Direct Deposits always on time, amount accurate. I had had the card for quite some time. So one Saturday morning I was going to go shopping, pay bills, went to ATM, and there was nothing, Nada, all of the rest of my paycheck was gone. A cable comp. that I hadn't used for over 2 + yrs, had emptied my funds out for the next 2 weeks. I was Livid. That was the first time. The second time was a few yrs later last yr. As a matter of fact, a fitness center took money out of my account, the rest of my paycheck again, I hadn't been to the fitness club for a few months nor did I know I was under contract.

Regardless who is monitoring our $ isn't that what's Supposed to be done? Aren't or isn't someone there to protect you and your $? If the watch transactions wouldn't you think after 2+yrs of not paying a bill in the same acct. # why would you all of a sudden? They wouldn't refund (Theft) transactions Even if I could have proven it. And still charged me the lil monthly fee, they cancelled my card 2nd time and NEVER issued me my new card. I was going to give them a 3rd chance, why? IDK. The reps aren't even in the United States, I can barely understand them, how are they going to understand our money and how hard we work for it. Walmart get text alerts... You'll save customers a lot of heartache and inconvenience.

I love my Walmart MoneyCard! Especially the vault. I can save money so much better with it. The website makes it way easier than calling the number on the back. Plus I can load in more than one place. This card give me the freedom to do what I need without worrying about if I'm going to go and get charged some many overdraft fees.

I recently discovered an error with my direct deposit at my works website. I corrected the error before the direct deposit date. I contacted Walmart Green Dot and they are giving me a canned message of the same thing over and over again, meanwhile my employer has not received the decline payroll deposit and as a result of it, I am out of 1267.00 paycheck. This is blatant theft by Walmart. The account no. it was sent to does not exist. So it is obvious the money will sit in limbo, held in a Walmart bank somewhere, and my family will go without food, phone service, electricity, and I am going to lose my vehicle to repo man for not being able to pay my payments. Amount of damage to me 100%. Amount of damage to Walmart, 0%. So if anyone is wanting to use this service, don't. They are rude to you on the phone, don't speak english, and refuse to help.

Hi Jeanene Rodriguez,

Thank you for sharing your concerns with us. We'd like to have someone look into your account and discuss your concern. We'll be in touch with you through the number provided to us by Consumer Affairs. Please private message us if there is a better phone number to reach you.

Green Dot Corporation

Original review: March 16, 2017

I wish could give them a ZERO. Walmart Money Card Security system sucks. Someone was able to call into customer service and change my login information and password. Know I have unauthorized charges on my account and I have to wait for them to investigate. This don't make any sense. The number on the back of the card does not work. You have to google to find a customer service number and then customer service want to get slick mouth and tell me I called in and change the login and password. NO Walmart money messed up and allowed someone to gain access to my account. Know it just a BIG inconvenience all the way around. Very bad look on Walmart. You put your name on a product that is just truly horrible. Never again. Still waiting for a resolution.

The only problem I'm having is there is a limit on how much cash you can withdrawal per day. Other than that card works great. Direct deposit is always there, and for some reason I get paid one day earlier than my coworkers so thank you Walmart.

I do like the MoneyCard but one thing you can only register one card on the app and that I can't use it at the pump. Always have to go inside and another thing I get charged a monthly charge when I have direct deposit and the ATM in Walmart charge a fee.

Hi Marthys Cook,

Thank you for sharing your concerns with us. We'd like to have someone look into your account and discuss your new card. We'll be in touch with you through the number provided to us by Consumer Affairs. Please private message us if there is a better phone number to reach you.

Green Dot Corporation

Original review: March 15, 2017

I would give this product 0 stars if the option was available. I paid for the temporary card, added funds, and I expected my permanent card to be in the mail. This was TWO MONTHS ago. After receiving 2 emails that my card would be delivered in 2 days, no card... It was impossible to speak to a Human through any of the options on the automated system. I sent an email requesting a human to call me. I was contacted after days with the balance on my card frozen, yet another assurance that my card would be delivered, still not resolved a week later.

Always courteous and polite. Other day I spoke to a rep who was professional in her approach. That resonates with me when I ask for assistance. I can't recall a time when I have called upon the help line, that someone wasn't able to assist and answer questions amicably.

Hi Orlando Ramirez,

We attempted to contact you regarding your concern. If you still require assistance, please call the number left on your voicemail. We are here to help.

Original review: March 9, 2017

I work in the automotive field and purchase parts just about every day. I purchased a Walmart Debit card to make things easier. I returned a couple of air conditioning compressors that I had lined up for some lined up jobs that never showed. When I went to return it, they didn't have the cash amount in the drawer so they asked if they could return it to my card. I agreed and swiped. Later that night I go to order something and I keep getting denied.

I go to check my Walmart MoneyCard App and it says that my account is blocked until further review. I check the next day and it's still blocked. I try an ATM to be sure, and nothing. I called whilst trying to keep my composure the best I could. I know it's not the call center's fault, but all they could tell me is that my account has been blocked for returning goods that have not been originally purchased with the card.

I don't understand this since they will gladly accept direct deposit and tax refunds to be funnelled into their debit card. They asked for me to send proof of purchase for a little over $1,484.17 in items. Some of which are from months ago. One of the returns was for $9 which was the difference in money when I exchanged the wrong part for the correct one which turned out to be $8.88 cheaper. This is turning out to be a gigantic hassle as some items were purchased online and some in person.

I informed them that I always purchase items from that particular auto parts store chain. Sometimes cash, sometimes debit. In fact, my history will show a large sum of automotive parts being purchased since I obtained the card. They basically let me know that it meant nothing to them. After thoroughly reading the Walmart Debit card FAQ page, I found that Walmart even mentioned how strict Green Dot is, but this is ridiculous. I should have at least been given a warning and I would have known that they did not want consumers doing that. Even if I cancel my card, the money is still frozen in their pockets.

I'm currently waiting on a response from the BBB to see if they can legally hold my money ransom. That's money we use to temporarily invest in parts until we get paid for that and the labor involved. I can't believe Walmart is associated with a company that behaves this way. As consumer and environmentally responsible/friendly they are, it's a bit off-putting.

I used to always recommend these cards and, while only having a few glitches here and there, they really blindsided me with this. I can't and will never recommend or try their products again. There are a few more options out there with more reputable names such as American Express. Meanwhile, they're holding almost $700 of my money. Stay away people.

This is the best money card I have ever had. So easy to load and never any problems. Thank you Walmart for making it so easy for me to pay my bills. Only wish my company offered direct deposit so it would be even easier.

Hello Sean,

It was a pleasure speaking with you earlier today. We’re glad that we were able to resolve the concerns that you shared. We value your feedback, and thank you for allowing us the opportunity to make things right. Feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions or concerns that you would like to discuss.

Original review: March 9, 2017

Highly disgusted with Walmart and their prepaid debit card. I have had my debit card for over a year now and have kept by balance right around $3000, the max for the card. Two weeks ago I checked my card and there was almost $1600 stolen from the card by thieves in Florida. I canceled the card right away, withdrew my remaining funds and filed disputes over all illegal withdraws from Florida. Today I was denied by Walmart on my disputes even though I don't live in Florida and haven't been there in 25 years and I'm the only user on my card in Tennessee. Walmart is a sad little company which clearly can't see fraud when it bites them on their nose. Sam Walton would be disgusted with the treatment I receiving from his company. Sad that I'm being robbed twice of my $1600 hundred dollars. Walmart lost me and my family as customers forever. I would much rather pay more than deal with such a petty company. Sad to see it.

Hi Rebecca Vines,

Original review: March 8, 2017

I've been a loyal customer through Walmart MoneyCard for over 3 years... I get all my direct deposits set up with them. So I finally get my tax refund today... and as soon as I put it in my vault acct THEY BLOCK MY CARD! And tell me it's gonna take 3 business days. That was all my money... I'm devastated!!!

Hi Teresa,

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us and allowing us to reach out to you. Feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions or concerns that you would like to discuss.

Original review: March 8, 2017

Please read! Used the direct deposit feature for my income tax. They closed my card without any given any notification. Call the number on the back of the card (877-937-4098) several times over a period of a week. All the reps but one was rude, didn't want to listen, kept trying to put me back in queue. Finally was offered a callback from supervisor. After 4 hours, supervisor (ID/Name Jay- **) said to submit a copy of my DL and they would reopen my account. Just got off the phone. Again turns out it was a floor rep playing supervisor that called me back. Asked for another call back. Agent/floor rep (ID/name-Dan **) said no because account was closed. Emailed over 5 times in the last week with not one person trying to help. Seems like all emails are computer generated or copy paste.

I have submitted a copy of my driver's license 5 times in last 2 weeks. There is an issue with their website and an error message that appears when I try to submit another copy (Your previous ID submission was received please login for updated account information). I have told everyone I talked to and Emailed this, there is no way to send a screenshot. The fake supervisor I spoke with said they would reset my account and turn it back on. I have practically begged for another number to call so I could get help and just a runaround. I cannot find a way to complain or even speak to a real supervisor. I doubt the names and IDs are even their real names. Any prepaid card would be better I promise you. One would think Walmart would have higher standards. Honestly, I have never been so disappointed by a company or customer service in general. My income tax check will be returned because my account is closed because they refuse to help me.

It has awesome cash back rewards and I do almost all my shopping at Walmart every month, so it makes cashing my checks and getting my shopping done a convenient experience. Plus all the benefits of direct deposit and paying my bills online has never been better.

I like the Walmart MoneyCard for savings to volt in your account. Direct deposit arrive 2 days early on my card. Only thing that I don't like is there is no money network checks or I couldn't withdraw my tax return from card like company said. 3 stars is what I give.

It's great! Don't change a thing!! I love this card. It's very convenient and there are no overdraft fees, please don't change anything. I love that the monthly fee is waived after $1,000 being added monthly! Thank you!!!

Sad when an account that is used for traveling and holiday and the card has not been used for a while was drained of almost $2K. What's even worst is you refused to pay for the money stolen or even to investigate and just simply send a letter starting you deny the claim because it looks like valid authorized transactions when I'm home in PA, and this happened in another state. You didn't investigate it nor do you care how important this matter is to your "valued customer."

If back to back transactions of large sums didn't send you all a red flag after a card not being used for so long and a customer is calling frantic waiting for an hour to get assistance, and you still think this is valid I don't know what to tell you. If you are going to deny a major claim at least a proper phone call and paperwork instead of a genetic letter with less than 300 words with no other explanation would be better.

This is a serious matter and a lot of money and even after you suggest we call the police you still deny it. Terrible service, terrible experience, I will fight for my hard earned money and will tell everyone about your "help" when it comes to stolen money. I wanted to make this card service gets the review it deserves, and people are aware that you allow money to be stolen from this account and don't care about your "valued customer."

I like the card but just got hit with a 50 dollar holding fee for a week for gas and this has never happened before and the customer service was very rude about it explaining it to me. I'm thinking if just using a regular bank after this that's 50 I need till pay day.

Everything is pretty good except the part of the Android app for transferring money. It needs to work without logging out and using the actual browser. Checks also need to come in a checkbook to be more convenient and easier to use.

Hi Michelle,

Green Dot Corporation

Original review: March 5, 2017

I am very disappointed with Walmart MoneyCard. My card was locked on Feb 22 and as of today it's still locked. I had to pay bills late which that's not me. I sent in all necessary documents of my ID as stated and I still gets a email stating it wasn't legible when clearly I received a message saying it was. Since then I sent another 1 in which it was accepted and still waiting. So I renewed my ID in which I previously moved and sent in another ID and still no response as of 3/04/17. I am very confused and broke. I need my money. Can someone help me please?

I love my card. The only thing I wish is it wasn't restricted like on the Western Union app, Facebook payments, etc. I love how I get paid before everyone else at work and I always get my refunds right away. Someone made a bank account with my name on it and over drafted my account so I can't have a bank.

Have basically good experience overall but what I do not understand is the 3$ fee to deposit money into one of my other cards at the customer service center at Walmart. Am requesting that the service fee for depositing money to the accounts be done away.

The Walmart card is great, no problems so far. The one I got in the mail with my name was spelled incorrectly, but I needed it so I didn't complain. When the operator went over the spelling I heard she got it wrong, spelled it for her and she said "that's what I said," but when it came was spelled incorrectly. Besides that the only thing I would ask for is more ATM locations near my area. I believe the closest one is 19 miles away.

I have a great experience with the MoneyCard. My money is on the card a couple days before the remaining is deposit into my bank, and I like that. I would definitely recommend this card to my family and friends.

Walmart MoneyCard Company Profile