3.15/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Walmart MoneyCard is a reloadable, prepaid debit card that provides consumers with cash back rewards on purchases they make every day. Use it everywhere Debit MasterCard® or Visa® debit cards are accepted in the U.S. Rewards include 3% cash back at Walmart.com, 2% cash back at Murphy USA and Walmart fuel stations, and 1% cash back at Walmart stores. Earn up to $75 in cash back rewards per year.

Walmart MoneyCard offers free direct deposit and will allow you to send money for free to other Green Dot Bank issued cards. The new Walmart MoneyCard app is now available to track your money around the clock. Contact us today to learn more!

ABBB Rating
View More View More

5495 Walmart MoneyCard Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

If you don't need to use your card for awhile they claim your account is dormant and they take your money??? I called a couple weeks ago and they said I had money still on my card but I have to fill out forms and send it in to get my money back. I just called them back and now they say my account has $0 in it??? This card is a SCAM!!!

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Debit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

This card is great until you encounter issues. Unlike a bank there is no physical location and no way to get to a manager quickly. If You encounter any kind of issue with your money and ask to talk with someone in management, the customer service agent will tell you that they have to put in a request and allow two days to hear back. This is unacceptable when it comes to your money, at a bank you can get your issues resolved immediately. Some issues I have incurred with this card took 5 days to resolve, can you imagine waiting five days for your funds to be released and not being able to speak to someone who knows half of what they are talking about. I have waited on hold to speak with a customer service agent for up to an hour and a half. This card is a no go!!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

My account was hacked about a month ago. I did dispute it and they shut down my card. Whoever hacked my account even changed the email address I originally provided, so I had no way to access it online at all. Received a notice that they finish the review and funded my account the money. Why would you refund the money to a closed down account?? I called customer service, but I cannot get through because my social security number and date of birth aren't registering. Well apparently there is no way to speak to anyone w/out it matching up. What kind of unhelpful ** is that?? Still can't access the money that was stolen and refunded and there is no way to speak to anyone. The letter I received doesn't even have a number to call.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

This has been a complete nightmare. I had a transaction deducted from my account on 9/20/18. I filed a disputed as instructed and the representative told me it would take 10 business day to resolve the dispute. I called on the 11th business day and received another date of 45 days to resolve the issue. At that point I closed the account. Today I found out the company sent the money back I went to log into the prepaid account and there it was just sitting there since the 8th October. I call the customer service line and they stated the only way to receive my money is for them to send it by mail in a check form which will take another 10 days. At that point will be well over a month from the time I filed the dispute.

Please, please do yourself a favor and run AWAY from this company. They are not here to help or protect the customer as a regular bank typically has dispute resolved in half the time frame than what Walmart MoneyCard lies to you about. There are many banks you can go through if you need a debit cards with no credit, first time banking or bad credit. Wells Fargo Opportunity Checking is one of them. At this point I’m going the legal route in order for me to receive my money because I don’t believe a word they say. And all of their representatives are from overseas and it is hard to understand them and they really don’t care about your issues. COMPLETE TOTAL NIGHTMARE!!!

Updated on 10/16/2018: I gave Walmart Money Card/Green Dot the opportunity to respond to my request and as you can see from my two previous post not one response was made from them. I also filed multiple complaints on other sites including theirs. As well as a written complaint the FDIC which sent a response letting me know my complaint has been forwarded onto Federal Reserve of Governors. Do yourself a favor if you have done your part with attempts on getting this resolve by phone. Please don't wait for long periods of time before going the legal route. 90% of the attorneys will assist you with your Consumer Fraud Claim and charge the company for legal fees and damages. Good luck to everyone and sorry you all had to encounter this nightmare. Please DO NOT GIVE UP, be sure that you fight to end!!!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I have just recently found out that my Walmart Money Card has been blocked and pending a review due a charge on my card that I have reported. I've read some the reviews that other customers like myself have reported and honestly I cannot say that I am not concerned because I am... So now I apparently have to go on the secure website to upload a picture of my ID/Driver's License in which I have attempted to do and it is now saying that my card number is not found. So I'm not sure if I have to wait until I receive my new card in order to be able to upload my picture ID... So what I'd like to know has anybody here with the same situation had any success at retrieving their account along with all monetary funds???

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Walmart MoneyCard?

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I have had this card over 2 yrs. Everything was cool. Then I was credited $500.00. They blocked my account without any notification. So they are people not from USA. I can't hardly understand what they are saying. And each time you call it's someone different. They don't really care to help resolve the issue. I have sent them all the receipts and then they say I need to wait 10 more ** days. I'm starting to get pissed again.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I've used Walmart MoneyCard since 2013-ish. I have my social security direct deposited to the account. From there I use the free bill pay service that come with the card/account to pay bills. It has only been swiped at a check out terminal perhaps once in the past 3 years. A few days ago I logged into my account to use bill pay to pay a credit card bill and noticed 6 charges totaling almost $700. I immediately called up the customer service number listed on the card. I got a person whose accent was so thick I had to keep asking them to repeat themselves, and the noise in that call center was unreal. I reported these disputed charges to the lady on the line. She seemed clueless as to how to handle the situation.

At one point I actually had to ask, "shouldn't you like cancel the card or account or something to keep any more funds from being removed?" To which she actually responded, "I don't know." She could not really tell me anything. They will open an investigation and I will hear something in 10 business days. As to when or if I would get my money credited back, she had no idea. Why did not someone notice the change in activity on the card? For years only bill pay service had been used, then all of a sudden it is being used in stores in New Jersey when I live in Tennessee. (Btw the card is still in my possession - so it was cloned at some point, but when? It hasn't been swiped.) I am not a happy customer at this point. I would like to know when to expect my money to be returned. I am willing to cooperate in any way I can to get this resolved quickly.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I contacted Walmart MoneyCard almost a week ago. Again I had a card compromised. I asked for my new card to be expedited to me. For which I was charged the $15 expedited fee which is fine. Suppose to have my card in 3 days. It's been 6 days now and still no card. Almost all my funds are on this card. And I will have bills due shortly. And I could use some groceries. I'm very disappointed in the Walmart MoneyCard.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I have used my card for over 10 years with no problems. My account was compromised and I called to dispute the charge. The company reversed the transaction but the money is not in my account. It's been almost 2 months. I’m pissed. I need my money! I’m a single mom!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I had read many reviews complaining about disputes so I decided I had to share my experience. I had two major charges in another city on my account. I assume it was my carelessness as I had another debit card hacked at the same time. I sent in the dispute form and within a week I was credited for both transactions and had a card expedited to my house in time for payday. I was extremely impressed and thankful.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Like many more reviews I see on here. I too am experiencing the same issue with my money I work hard for. Typically my direct deposit is already on the card by Thursday morning around 4:00am. This morning I got no deposit and upon placing a call to the automated line I discover my direct deposit is under review and I can’t get any additional details from an agent. This is the shadiest crap I’ve ever experienced with Walmart. Notice how they only respond to positive reviews? Quite evasive I’d say. I will never use another Walmart MoneyCard again after this experience! Highly disappointed and dissatisfied!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I got this card little over 2 years ago. There was fraud activity with my account so I opened a dispute and now 3 days later on my payday they are holding my check because of technical difficulties with no explanation, will not tell me when I will have my money on my card. I call my payroll and they tell me it was direct deposited already so there is nothing they can do. I have a new bank now and will be canceling this account as soon as they give me my money.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I have been with this card over 10 years and never had a problem with the direct deposit being deposited a day early than my original payday. Well today I was curious as to why it didn’t post after all this time. I was instructed by the automated system to check with my employer first. Everything was great and done the same as always and sent as usual no differences. I call the customer service for Walmart MoneyCard and was told that they are having a direct deposit delay and the engineers are working to resolve this and sorry for the inconvenience.

So... What about the return fees from my creditors or bills that I have auto drafted from my account? Is there any compensation for this? Still response is “at this time we have no more information”. So I’m just not suppose to get my pay because you have no back up plan when your direct deposit is down? And I’m told to just keep checking the site and app! This is the worst and it sucks! I don’t have the luxury of waiting on my funds cause I have plenty more saved up! I want my funds and I want them now!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

Up until today I had never had any issues with any direct deposits. However, when I went to check my balance, the automated voice says, "Your direct deposit for $10.47 on October 10, 2018, has not posted because it is under review." I'm confused. I get direct deposits all the time, have for several years just like clockwork. This is the first time there's ever been a review on a direct deposit. No matter the amount, it's money and money from my job. I just need to find out why there is a review on the direct deposit when there is and has never been any suspicious or illegitimate activity on my account. Thanks.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

So every time I shop at Safeway my account gets charged twice but for a few cents in difference, weird. I'm not going to write a letter for 5 to 10 dollars so they got me twice and never shopped at Safeway again. This time they put a hold on my card, saying Circle K has a pending charge, already spoken to Circle K corporate and they didn't charge me. It's been three days and everything is frozen. So time for a letter, not even an email. What is this? I'm broke!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I have had this card for a little over a year. Never had a problem until now. My wife and I are the only ones who used the card. On Saturday September 22, 2018 my wife bought us breakfast after her work meeting. Not even 2 hours later we received an alert for a transaction of $449.17 used at a DSW in a location over 5 hours away from us. Right away we called to dispute the transaction. They gave us a dispute # and asked us to write them a detail report. So we did and included the dispute # on the letter. We now been informed that it's been denied. How can we use our card 5 hours away if we only have 1, which my wife used it in the morning after work and I had work that evening so I couldn't even be out of town. We both have clock in reports too and Google GPS location history proving we weren't out of town.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I would give 0 stars if I could. Have money on a card. Call to dispute a charged. My card has been blocked. I submitted a pictured Id as they said I had to and the block was supposed to be removed in 2 bus days. It's been a week and it's still blocked. I don't know how I'm going to pay my bills. My money is in that account but they won't remove the block even though they have sent me a new card. Try calling customer service and it's just an automated message and I can't talk to anyone. This is just a scam. Walmart MoneyCard took my money.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

They blocked my card! I’m a single mother of two boys. I have to pay rent today and bills and get my sons' diapers. I have been on the phone waiting for 2 hrs and still waiting! I got my check deposited today and then my account got blocked. I have to pay rent today!!! Or I lose my place! I’m not too happy! 2 hrs I have heard “we are experiencing high call volume”! Hope you guys like ripping off single mothers!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Someone got ahold to my card information and swiped out the remaining balance on my card. I called and disputed the charges and requested for a new card. They told me that they would reimburse me the money and send me another card and that I should expect in 7 business days. It has now been almost 2 weeks and I still have not received my new card. I have no access to my money and I have direct deposit. I have bills and other important things to take care of and y’all have my money tied up. I’ve tried to call customer service but to wait almost a half hour and still not talk to a representative is beyond ridiculous. I will be stopping my direct deposit after today. I have never had this much of a problem to get a new card or get access to my money that I’ve worked for. DO BETTER!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I have an incorrect address and I am trying to prevent my card from going to the wrong address. I have been trying for several days to correct it. Customer service says I have to go online, when I go online I get a message that say I have to get it changed through customer service. I have had this account for 2 weeks and still can't get any help. Customer service constantly tells me to go online then hangs up quickly on me before I get a chance to even explain the issue I am having. I really wish I knew of other services that I can use instead of Walmart. I am tired of Walmart already and it's only been 2 weeks. I don't know who they are paying to do those reviews but they are absolutely not true.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I have had my Walmart Green Dot card for about 2 years now and have been getting my direct deposit also. Unfortunately my card was stolen over the weekend. I reported it stolen and removed my direct deposit. Somehow my job still sent my check to the stolen card. I have been trying to get my funds off the card for two days. I can't speak with anyone without my card number. I can't just ask a live person how I can retrieve my funds. I am really unhappy that I am left with no help from their Green Dot service and still have not received an email or a callback. I am a mother of two and my kids can't eat and your company is not helping me at all. I really need someone anyone that will be able to give me some answers on how I can get my cash.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Walmart MoneyCard is a scam. They refuse to release my money back to me that I need for my kids personal needs. I spoke with almost 8 supervisors and they all keep telling me no more than 7 business days I should receive the money to my account. This is causing a lot of emotional distress.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I did the mobile deposit thinking my money would hit the day off and it's saying a week from today?? I have bills that need to be paid tomorrow. What am I supposed to do?? Does it really take a whole week?

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I have been using Walmart MoneyCard to get my paycheck deposited for 2 years now. All of sudden they froze my account and need me to upload pics of my info. Well I did several times. No problem but every time I call to tell them I uploaded the info I get someone rude who simply says "we never received it" even though I sent it correctly. They tell me wait at least 5 days. This is my hard earned money for my daughter they are screwing with. It's not right.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I have three accounts with the Walmart MoneyCards, personal, pets and bills. The sign in requires email verification... this requires an email code being sent, often this feature does not work, SMS messages have NEVER been received (T-MOBILE). Customer service is nonexistent. The cards are very low quality (thin) difficult to read and break quickly. I have a Bluebird account that is used to provide money for a family member, for several years that has work without issue. I am canceling ALL my Walmart Cards and changing over to Bluebird.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I have had this card almost 2 years. The pros of the card is you get direct deposit faster, if you don't have the money in your account then the charge won't go thru which helps me budget, and also the fact that I kind have a savings account where I can stash and un-stash money without having a charge. The cons of the card is that it is not accepted every where for payments or car rentals, that sometimes I have had errors sending and receiving money to someone else who has a walmart money card and also that there is sometimes a limit on how many times you can stash and unstash money.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I've been using the Walmart MoneyCard for my social security payments for years. Im very disappointed how hard it is to speak with management to address my issues. Im disabled, phone off because payment was due Oct 1st rent due all my money is locked. I had a very stressful and anxiety filled 4 days. I need my money to get to my dr appointment. Im a very sick person. I don't need to be going through the unnecessary terrible customer service. I need this resolved or I will have to resort to taking legal action.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I have had a Walmart MoneyCard for a few years. This has not been a very pleasant experience for me. First a little over 2 years ago my card was cancelled due to it being erroneously expired by the company. I still had one year to go before the card expired. I had to wait for a new card and had to pay late fees on other bills I used the card for. Second most recently (9-21-18) I had charges totaling over $400.00 in California and Alabama. Keep in mind I live in Colorado. I have never been to Alabama and have not set foot in California since 1991. In my transaction history it shows I was in Colorado at the time of these fraudulent transactions. I purchased a coffee from McDonald's on the days these FT's occurred.

When you call in your dispute you can hardly understand the Support Personnel because their English is horrible. I have yet to find out if I will receive any of my money back. Advice to you. Go to your nearest bank and open an account. At least there you can deal directly with one person in trying to figure it out. I do not believe that I will be getting any of my hard earned money back.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

Never a problem with any deposits or transactions. Deposits day early. Only error seen was service charge last month, which I don't think I should have with direct deposit. I like the stash option also, with prizes. I would recommend service to other. Have had no customer service interactions. I also enjoy ease of depositing money to card at Walmart.

Walmart MoneyCard response

Hi Susan,

We loved reading your review and appreciate your feedback. We're so glad we're able to assist you in your financial needs. Your business is greatly appreciated. Please feel free to contact us via private message if you have any questions or concerns.

Green Dot Corporation

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I recently moved and when moving I lost my card in the move. I went online to change my address and order a new card. Once I got it I got an email saying my card is blocked and I need to submit my picture ID to get it unblocked on a website. I have now tried over 20 times and for whatever reason they are not accepting my picture, not my ID but just the pictures themselves. I've tried to call every number I have phone but no one can talk to me. Now my direct deposit from my job has gone on to it and I can't access it and no way to fix this account.

Walmart MoneyCard Company Information