3.37/5
Based on 1,512 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Walmart MoneyCard is a reloadable, prepaid debit card that provides consumers with cash back rewards on purchases they make every day. Use it everywhere Debit MasterCard® or Visa® debit cards are accepted in the U.S. Rewards include 3% cash back at Walmart.com, 2% cash back at Murphy USA and Walmart fuel stations, and 1% cash back at Walmart stores. Earn up to $75 in cash back rewards per year.

Walmart MoneyCard offers free direct deposit and will allow you to send money for free to other Green Dot Bank issued cards. The new Walmart MoneyCard app is now available to track your money around the clock. Contact us today to learn more!

ABBB Rating
View More View More

6886 Walmart MoneyCard Consumer Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: June 5, 2019

I've been using the MoneyCard for nearly a year now and absolutely LOVE the ease of use, reload and access to cash accessibility. Has just about all the features most BIG BANKS offer minus most of the issues with fees and overdraft related charges. I've never had to deal with customer service, which speaks VOLUMES, as I've never had to call over some ludicrous overdraft charge or hidden fee (usually caused by the bank itself not reflecting certain charges in as close to real time as possible. Tracking money on plastic vs paper can get tricky if funds withdrawals are delayed especially if the bank takes a few days to reflect pending transactions, which has been my prior issue with other banks). The App is user friendly as offers A LOT of very useful features.

Only CONS: Mobile deposit (which realistically should be a major Pro) is delayed by a week. My company doesn't offer direct deposit unfortunately so I was elated to see this feature once I downloaded the app. Womp, Womp, Womp. If I submit a picture of my check Friday afternoon it hasn't been available until the following Friday (tested it a few times, thank goodness I wasn't in dire straits) and once submitted you can't unsubmit and just take it into one of their many stores. If speed of deposit was turned around especially for customers who submit pay stubs from the same company consistently get a faster turn around or even the ability to back out if the fund availability date is too far out there. 2) Can't use with Uber or Lyft. Haven't ran into the issue anywhere else over the past year (Thankfully). Other than those two issues this has been Godsend. And I'm very pleased. Thank You????

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Debit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 9, 2019

I got this card because I let my bank account go, plus I was serving and was tired of never having a credit card for anything. It was easy to load my cash at Walmart, you pay 4$ to load money and I think you can load as much as you want. Only thing I don’t like about it is that since it is prepaid I’m limited to what I can do with it, but that’s my own problem lol. I can have my work checks direct deposited (I got my first one 2 days early which was cool because that was only cause of MoneyCard) and last year when I filed my taxes they rewarded me 10$ just for having them direct deposited to my card.

This year when I filed I got my taxes two days earlier and didn’t even know it lol because MoneyCard offered that this year. Also you can get cashback on your purchases at Walmart, and your 10$ fee a month will be waived if you spend the minimum a month! Or is it if you put a certain amount of money? I think it’s a certain amount of purchases but anyway. What bank can you do that with?? Hardly any. This is perfect for people who keep a lot of cash and shop at Walmart a lot. Also people who don’t have a bank account and need a quick fix. Card costs like 3.50 I think plus 4$ to load and whatever you put on it.

Original review: April 7, 2019

I'm very satisfied with Moneycard. The only thing I don't understand is why certain businesses won't direct deposit to my account. That's the only thing that I don't like. It seems to be more of a problem with them. Do you have any resolution for that?

Hi Jami,

We appreciate your feedback! We're so glad you're happy with your Walmart MoneyCard experience. Please be advised, when you enroll in direct deposit release of deposit is subject to your payment provider’s process and timing. If you have additional questions or concerns please contact us directly.

Green Dot Corporation

Original review: April 3, 2019

K. I usually hate doing surveys and reviews, but this card is so good I'll give you a bit of my time. I'm a cash only kinda guy at heart, but in today's world you gotta have the plastic, and an account for direct deposit. Banks are horrible, lie about fees and fines (esp overdraft), and generally I've been treated like I'm some kind of pond scum by the clerks. The Walmart/Green Dot card is essentially attached to an online bank, does what no brick and mortar bank does; zero overdraft. In addition too there is a savings account attached, cash back at Walmart, and entries into some drawings with cash prizes (won $25 and I still don't know when I was entered). Direct deposit is super easy, and if you deposit over $1000 in a month there is no fee at all. Cash deposits are $3 to $5 but you can do them at other stores too. The only drawback I've seen is that Uber doesn't take them, but that's fine by me because Lyft does. I haven't found any other place that doesn't, online or brick. Really, I'm a picky customer mostly, my praise is hard to earn. I mean it when I say bravo Walmart, bravo.

Hi John,

You've got us all figured out! In fact, we’re a team that's dedicated to providing our customers with the best prepaid debit card possible. We’re so happy to hear that you’re enjoying your Walmart MoneyCard and hope that it continues to service your every need. Thanks for being a part of the Green Dot family.

Green Dot Corporation

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I'm now heading into my third year of using Walmart MoneyCard. Leaving behind my old bank was the best choice I ever made. I live paycheck-to-paycheck and there were many times when I couldn't keep the minimum $15 balance that was required by my bank. (You know... The one where they would charge you ANOTHER $15 for not having $15 to begin with.) Walmart MoneyCard has no minimum balance, no overdraft fees, a free vault that acts like its own savings account, and cash-back savings at the end of every year. This past year, I not only earned $20 in cash-back, but I also won $30 from the Prize Savings lottery! I never win ANYTHING, so you can imagine my shock when I signed in and found an extra $30 in my account from "Prize Savings". I was really happy. :) I love this card and have no plans to ever use another one.

Hi Shannon,

We loved reading your review and appreciate your feedback. We're so glad we're able to assist you in your financial needs. Your business is greatly appreciated. Please feel free to contact us via private message if you have any questions or concerns.

Green Dot Corporation

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Walmart MoneyCard?

Original review: July 15, 2019

I've been trying to get ahold of Walmart “24hr customer service” to see why I can't setup my card and why it's blocked? But I’ve had no answer and the operator keeps hanging up!! I loaded my card today and I can't even get ahold of my own money, I tried setting up my card with the app and it just blocked me once I put my correct information, such a terrible experience already.

Resolution response: July 11, 2019

It seems there was an issue with my app when I made the deposit. I wasn’t given the option to not go through with the deposit and I should have been. They called and we resolved it at the time of the call

Original review: July 10, 2019

I did a mobile deposit Friday July 5th. It’s now Wednesday July 10th and my money still isn’t available. No customer service rep will email me back and when I call it’s all computers. I can never talk to a real person. My car payment is 5 days late because my money won’t load onto my card! Absolutely trash.

Hello Angel,

It was a pleasure speaking with you earlier today. We’re glad that we were able to resolve the concerns that you shared. We value your feedback and thank you for allowing us the opportunity to make things right.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: July 9, 2019

I need my routing/acct # for direct deposit for my employer. When I call the phone number on the card I cannot speak to a person and does not give me an option for obtain this information. My card was hacked and I had it canceled and obtained another one and I did not keep the paper that came with card, thank you. Tina

Hello Tina,

We attempted to contact you through the number provided by Consumer Affairs but were unable to reach you. However, we left you a voicemail that contained our direct contact information. Please contact us at your earliest convenience, so that we may assist you with resolving your concerns.

Original review: July 9, 2019

I am very upset. The entire reason I used Walmart MoneyCard was because they advertised that my deposits would go in early. I get my social security on Wednesday. Today is Tuesday and still no social security check so I guess Walmart MoneyCard is wrong. They say the post as soon as they receive but all my deposits no matter from where show up at 7am. Why is that. Why not throughout the day? That means it was advertised wrong.

Hello William,

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 7, 2019

I don't like this card. I been trying to get my money back which is over 600 dollars that I told them I didn't authorize... They declined my claim pay. Don't have money to give away like they but I will sue if I don't 'cause this is stressful.

Hello Nellie,

We attempted to contact you through the number provided by Consumer Affairs but were unable to reach you or leave a voicemail. Please contact us via Private Message at your earliest convenience so we can assist you with resolving your concerns. We look forward to hearing from you!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 6, 2019

I bought a money card to pay my bills. I was told they need more information & it was being reviewed. I was unable to pay my bills because can't use temporary card. Can't speak to anyone to help. I feel like I was ripped off.

Hello Rensha,

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 5, 2019

Do not buy this card 'cause I bought it and put 400.00 dollars on it and was told to register it and I have tried every day since and today is the 5th of July and it still can't be registered and can't use my money. I want my 400.00 dollars back so I can use it.

Hello James,

Original review: July 4, 2019

Hotel released funds and card kept the hold on there for a ridiculous amount of time. Even after the joke of a customer service agent and I spoke with the hotel, in which we were informed by the hotel that the release was processed when I checked out, the customer service rep still proceeded to tell me there would be a hold on my account for 6 more days. Very inconvenient, especially when my regular credit card gets released the minute I check out. I don’t think the customer service agent has a clue as to what holding on to a couple of hundred dollars can do to your wallet. The hotel told this idiot that the funds were released on the 27th of June, and they still won’t release my funds.

In addition, I filed a dispute for some charges where someone must have gotten access to the laptop I’d made purchases on before. By the 23rd day of turning all paperwork in, I decided to call the merchants myself. I receive notification that the dispute had been denied because the charges were valid. Yet 2 of the charges I disputed were found to be under someone else’s email by the merchant in which they promptly apologized and I had the money back that night.

How is it that I do the investigation, and the merchant immediately recognizes it as fraud? Yet the card company’s idiots in India must be investigating sightings of Godzilla or the 2nd coming of their god Kali, because it took me less than 5 minutes on the phone with the merchant for the merchant to discover that it was indeed someone else’s account. I was told that ALL CHARGES WERE VALID, YET I WAS ABLE TO PROVE THAT 2 OF THEM WERE NOT. I wouldn’t recommend this card to anyone outside of a prison. Maybe in prison they can use it, but out here, they just hold your money and let anyone use your card when you dispute it and don’t even care. The customer service agent asked me for supporting documentation. I asked him, "What the hell else do I have to give you, it’s not like I have receipts of where I did not purchase something online." Are they stupid? Or should I say, incompetent.

I use the card for my kids mostly, so I can track their expenses without giving them my debit card or credit card. I’ve had Lyft rides at 3am in the morning in Huntsville where a woman actually took the ride. Last I checked, I am a man. Not to mention the fact that I can’t stand Lyft because their cars are horrible and old. I’m out over 50 just for the holds, and 300 to Priceline, of which were used on someone’s else’s account as well. I think I’m going to call the banking commissioner on Monday to get this straightened out the real way. I’m tired of dealing with incompetent idiots when the problem is easily resolved. They just don’t want to do their jobs.

Hello Ronal,

We’re glad that we were able to address the concerns that you shared. We value your feedback and thank you for allowing us the opportunity to assist.

Original review: July 4, 2019

I am so over the stupidity I deal with with this card, I have had the same card and same acct for years and direct deposit every Thursday except for TODAY (4th of July) and any time Thursday is a holiday I don't get my pay! I am over this and I guess I waited too long to move on but today I am officially done and getting a different card. On top of this issue I paid a doctor back in July and they stated they never got the 50 and I have now been sent to collections and can't get my 50.00 back because customer service does not care and won't assist me at all. I am out 50.00 and now I have to repay the doctor. It was taken off my card and they never got it. There is no support for any of this. There are other cards that I can take my business to and hopefully have a better experience and better support with my concerns.

Hello Kristina,

Original review: July 4, 2019

I bought a Walmart Moneycard and put over 400$ in it and I cannot use it, and I tried to get a refund and the customer service people just transfer me to the automated system so they don’t have to deal with the problem, so now the money is in the card and can’t be used at all, I don’t know what else to do.

Hello Andrews,

We attempted to contact you through the number provided by Consumer Affairs but were unable to reach you. However, we left you a message that contained our direct contact information. Please contact us at your earliest convenience, so that we may assist you with resolving your concerns.

Green Dot Corporation

Original review: July 3, 2019

I just love this card. I'm able to do everything that people with regular bank accounts can do. I also love that I can get paid two days early. I just wish that I didn't get hit with atm fees twice when there is no Green Dot approve bank close by.

Original review: July 2, 2019

I absolutely love my Money Card and the cash back I get when I use my card at Walmart! I wish the cards were better looking and not so cheap. But I love the app, it's easy to operate also! I recommend people that do not have banking account or can't get one, to get Walmart Money Card!

Original review: July 2, 2019

Walmart MoneyCard have the worst customer service department and representatives I’ve ever experienced, not to mention this Arkansas headquartered company that sent their customer service duties to foreign countries, sad and disgraceful when we have so many Americans needing work. I have asked to speak to a manager or supervisor several times over several days to no avail. I’ve been denied, transferred to the automated service, hung up on or placed on hold for upwards of 20 minutes and then transferred to the end of call survey. Please tell me how is this even legal or ethical to be denied a manager or supervisor upon request. My next direct deposit scheduled for July will be canceled today and I’ll be using another company. I also won’t be shopping in their stores anymore.

Hello 27657540,

Original review: July 2, 2019

I’ve called the number on the back of the card and it doesn’t give me an option to cancel the card! I’ve also gone to the website and it’s no help either! It doesn’t even give me and option to talk to someone. Walmart is also no help.

Hello Maria,

Original review: July 1, 2019

I originally got the Walmart MoneyCard because I thought it would be a good card to make purchases with and pay bills with. I made a purchase at the beginning of May from a company. And after I hadn't received my products or shipping information after a couple of weeks, I contacted the company via email. I actually corresponded with the company several times before they ghosted me. I searched for the company on Instagram and it was gone but when I put in the name a thread came up of other scammed consumers. Most people said they contacted their bank and their bank refunded the money. (Sounds like customer service!) When I called Walmart, they basically asked me did I have all the emails, how it happened, etc. Of course I had the paper trail.

The first contact gave me the phone number he had listed for the company. I called and it gave an email. I emailed a couple times...NO RESPONSE! I called Walmart back today and was told I am out of $68.94 because they don't cover their customers for purchases that were originally authorized. I regret even getting this card and should have used my original bank account. At least I would be covered for this purchase. If you want a company who backs their customers who spend money with them and insures their customers...THIS IS NOT IT! DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR HARD EARNED MONEY!!!

Hi Nakesha,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We'd like to have someone review your account and discuss the concerns that you’ve shared. We'll be in touch with you through the contact information provided to us by Consumer Affairs.

Original review: July 1, 2019

I tried to pay a bill using my MoneyCard however I was unaware of a $10 fee that was deducted when I loaded money on my card so when I went to pay my bill there was not enough money to cover it. I have been waiting for seven days now. I have made several phone calls and I still have not received my money on my card. I have called the place where I tried to pay my bill several times and they keep telling me that they already released the payment the same day that I tried to make the payment. They tell me there are no pending transactions on their end but on Walmart Money Card's end. Every time I call I don’t get any answers other than it should be back on there in another week. I don’t have another week because I have bills to pay and I want my money now.

Hello Jessica,

We attempted to contact you through the number provided by Consumer Affairs. Please contact us via Private Message at your earliest convenience so we can assist you with resolving your concerns. We look forward to hearing from you!

Resolution response: July 12, 2019

We received a refund check yesterday.

Original review: July 1, 2019

The store will offer no refund and the company they use Green Dot will not provide written instructions for a refund either. The customer service department at Green Dot hung up on myself and my wife several times. They are dishonest and disreputable and there is no refund policy on the website the Walmart MoneyCard. For a week solid every time we called they insisted their system is temporarily down. The reason they provided for not activating the card was their claim that we had too many of their cards but we have never purchased one.

Hello Bill,

Resolution response: July 10, 2019

After multiple phone calls and hours on the phone being told by multiple customer service agents/managers there was nothing they could do,multiple times explaining the situation and being met with the same response of "nothing we can do" which lead to yelling and stress as this was bill money we needed, we finally got a supervisor/manager to credit our account the money. I am glad our issue was finally resolved but not happy with the frustration and stress caused by the amount of time and phone calls it took to just get OUR money back into OUR account .

Original review: June 30, 2019

Placed an online order with a business and had something come up so called to cancel. I was told by the business the pending charge on my account would be gone in 24 hrs. Well 3 days later the money was still in pending so I called back to find out why. They said that they released the pending charge and the problem is on our end. So called Walmart MoneyCard to find out why the money that was released was still showing in pending on our account and they told us that we would have to wait 2 WEEKS.... Yes that's correct. 2 FREAKING WEEKS to get that pending charge off our account. This is unheard of and unacceptable, I have bills that need to be paid with that money that Walmart MoneyCard is holding hostage! It is my money and they don't want to release it back to me. This is THEFT plain and simple!!!!

Hello Philip,

Original review: June 30, 2019

Someone stole money from card in Chicago, IL. I live in Texas, I reported it immediately to customer service & they were no help. I was told it could take 45 days for an investigation plus the rep barely spoke English. I'm going to complain to every social media platform & news stations until this is resolved in a timely manner. I was treated like I was liar. The money card is horrible!!!

Hello Stephanie,

Original review: June 30, 2019

When I go to atms that do not charge a surcharge I still get charged a surcharge for using my card. I have this MasterCard as well as a visa card through Green Dot and it doesn't do it with my visa card. I would like to see it fixed or I might move them bofh somewhere else.

Hello Tina,

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: June 30, 2019

My card was used unauthorized and these people will not refund my money. They try to take more money every two weeks at 6:33 am every time. I never used this company that is taking my money 39.99. Very upset about this. I've been a customer since 2016.

Hello LaShonda,

Original review: June 30, 2019

I had a card with you the company for years and then all of a sudden out the blue, a fraudulent company gas station charges my card and my disputes kept being denied. It happened not once but twice. It shows on your account still pending and few days later it disappear. Shouldn't no one feel like they should get con to a loss of money that they worked hard for, especially when the purchase was never made by me at all.

Hello Tiffany,

Original review: June 28, 2019

Holding my money until the the 10th when the damn merchant already cancelled my order. Will be switching to another company. You can take money quick but can't give it back like you take from me and others.

Hello Robert,

We attempted to contact you through the number provided by Consumer Affairs but were unable to reach you. Please contact us via Private Message at your earliest convenience so we can assist you with resolving your concerns. We look forward to hearing from you!

Original review: June 28, 2019

We suppose to get our refund but found out our card not eligible for deposit. They didn't contact us or send us another card. Now we don't know how we going to get it. We call, no help at all. How can we get this resolved so we can get our refund? We need our money.

Hello Jessica,

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 27, 2019

May 6, 2019 we noticed our Walmart MoneyCard/Green Dot was used several times without authorization from 5/2/2019 through 5/6/2019. The card was used a total of 8 times during those 5 days to both Pizza Hut and Domino's for a total of $151.91. We had used our card locally on those days in North and South Carolina. The withdrawals for the merchants came from locations in Nebraska (2 locations), Illinois, Virginia (4 Different locations) and New Mexico. On 5/6/2019 as soon as the fraud was discovered we reported the card stolen. A new one was issued in addition to a charge of $3.00 for a replacement card. On 5/22/2019 the $3.00 was reversed by Walmart. 5/8/2019 the original dispute forms were prepared and submitted. No acknowledgement or response was received so the claim was resubmitted.

The dispute was denied so an appeal was filed. June we received the results of the appeal finding the charges to be actual charges and not fraud. No other explanation or proof was provided. As of this date we are still fighting with Walmart MoneyCard/Green Dot for the refund of the fraudulent charges. We followed all the procedures provided for the claim. Simply looking at the locations and dates of the purchases obviously reflects them 100’s of miles apart. We feel Walmart did not and still is not doing its due diligence to correct the problem and we need this corrected now. On another note, we’ve also noted several complaints received responses from Walmart/Green Dot advising the complainants were unable to be reached at the contact number provided. We can be reached after 6:30p EST to discuss a resolution.

Hello Scott and Andrea,