Find a Prepaid Cards partner

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

About Walmart MoneyCard

The Walmart MoneyCard is a prepaid banking card. The card includes a variety of features such as cash back rewards at Walmart.com, Walmart Fuel Stations and Walmart stores. The card has no fees at Walmart locations, and it has a mobile app that lets you track your purchases and deposit funds into your account.

Pros

• Cash back on Walmart purchases
  • 2% APY annually
  • Up to four free family accounts

Cons

• No fees only at Walmart locations
  • Numerous fees

Bottom Line

The Walmart MoneyCard is a good choice for frequent Walmart shoppers. The card has cash back rewards up to $75 each year. You can manage your funds and deposit cash on the go with the MoneyCard app.

Top Walmart MoneyCard Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Everything's working very well with my Walmart MoneyCard. I like that I can’t go over. … I can go to the store right now, and in five minutes, it’s already showed up on my transac...

Verified

I like my Walmart MoneyCard. It really is great. I love it. I like that I don’t have to have a bank account. I use their online app and I like that I can check my transactions and...

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

What is a Walmart MoneyCard?

The Walmart money card is a prepaid debit card offered through Walmart. Customers earn cash back rewards for using their Walmart MoneyCard at Walmart stores and fuel stations and online at Walmart.com. The cash back rewards can be accessed after 12 months of use as long as the card maintains a positive balance.

Other features of the Walmart MoneyCard include:

• No overdraft fees
  • 2% annual interest
  • Free cash reloads using the Walmart app
  • ASAP Direct Deposit
  • Free family accounts

To enroll in the Walmart MoneyCard program, visit the company’s website and fill out the application form. You must supply your name, address, phone number, Social Security number and preferred card type: Visa or Mastercard.

Walmart MoneyCard fees

The Walmart MoneyCard has several fees, including:

• Monthly fee: $5.94, but waived if $1,000 or more was loaded onto the card in the previous monthly period
  • ATM withdrawal: $2.50
  • Teller cash withdrawal: $2.50
  • Cash reload fee: $5.95, but free if cash is loaded using the app at a Walmart location
  • ATM balance inquiry: 50 cents
  • Activation fee: One-time $1 fee
  • International transactions: 3% of purchase
  • Paper checks: $5.95 for a pack of 12 paper checks
  • Card replacement fee: $3 for standard delivery and $15 for expedited delivery

Walmart MoneyCard FAQ

Does Walmart MoneyCard deposit early?
Yes, with the ASAP Direct Deposit feature, customers can access their payday funds two days early and benefits four days early.
How do I activate my Walmart MoneyCard?
To activate your Walmart MoneyCard, enroll in the program and follow the instructions provided for activating your card. There is a one-time $1 setup and activation fee.
Can I withdraw money from my Walmart MoneyCard?
Yes, but ATM and teller fees apply.
How do I check my balance on my Walmart MoneyCard?
Use the Walmart MoneyCard app to check your card’s balance, make mobile check deposits and monitor transactions.
Can I use my Walmart MoneyCard at a gas pump?
Yes. Plus, you earn 2% cash back if you use the card at a Walmart fuel station.

Is the Walmart MoneyCard good?

The Walmart MoneyCard is good for customers who frequently shop at Walmart stores and are looking for a simple way to manage money while earning rewards. The simple nature of the card and app helps customers load funds and monitor transactions wherever they are. However, it is best to keep an eye on the fees associated with ATM withdrawals and cash reloads.

Walmart MoneyCard Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Walmart MoneyCard?

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

I like the way I get notifications by text. Let me know when my grab deposit goes through. I figured out the dates and times just by checking in by every now and then. I know when your direct deposit goes in on the date on Friday you will get it right at oh usually Wednesday about 3 in the afternoon but if your pay date falls on a weekend and you will get it the additional days depending on what Day falls on Sunday you can get it 2 days earlier that's added to the four that sometimes six days in advance. I've noticed that the times have changed for the direct deposit. It used to be late at night and now it's in the afternoon right after 3 p.m. that is Central Time I'm in Texas. I wish the phone automated system would give the address and phone # for each transaction with easier understanding voice.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

As a consumer looking for a hassle free prepaid card. The Walmart Money Card is one of the best debit cards around. It is easy to reload and you can use this card anywhere. When going to the ATM it is easy to retrieve cash. The card is secure and the customer service is great.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

The Walmart Money Card is about the same as most of the rest. The one thing that makes this a little bit better than most of the rest is that the initial fee is less, the fees to reload are less and so the overall quality of this card does appear to be better. I used this card as an "allowance" card for a nephew going to college. I never heard of any issues from him.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

Walmart is convenient for me. It is so easy to reload whenever I'm there. I haven't tried reloading it online. I have not contacted customer service. There are no fees involved. It is just as convenient for me as a debit card. I also get rewards for certain purchases that can add up to cash back. I haven't had the card long enough to cash in.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2020

We purchased a Walmart prepaid card for our daughter when she went off to college as there was a walmart in the area and we thought it would work for her food, supplies and they had an auto center there. We had no issues with the card and she used it the entire four years. She did use the ATM option and fees did apply but it came in handy.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

After 2yrs of applying for SSDI, was approved, SSDI deposit made 9/01/21; Card was permanently restricted 9/01/21, told suspicious activity then told deposit was made by a "Small Business"... I guess the Social Security Agency is no longer a section of the US Federal government.. Was told can't issue me a check because accent permanently closed, Told SSA had to req money (SO VERY INCORRECT PER SSA).. Was told would return deposit in 5 Business days as of today... Told today not sure why deposit hasn't been returned to SSA, that I should be patient, I have called so many times that I'm now physically ill because of overwhelming frustration... No one will help, No one knows anything... Just continued runaround.. My next step will be contacting media,, I have submitted (3) BBB complaints..

Original review: Aug. 24, 2021

My wife and I for years have used Walmart prepaid cards for our purchases loading money as well as my pay check. Upon waiting for my 2018 tax which just got here, Walmart decided to block my card for fraud. The IRS issues this Walmart so I have had to jump, run and get extremely frustrated. I contacted an attorney today and we will resolve plus some thanks Walmart for gaveling the worst prepaid cc system know……

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

Wish I could give it 0 stars but it made me give it 1. I have had the card for 2 years. Thought it was great till the other day. I had a charge. I filed a dispute on July 12 then on August 14 my account got hacked and they did a ETF for 500 dollars. Had to file another dispute. They blocked my account without issuing me a new card. The rest of my money that they didn't take is now tied up. I can't get to it. They told me the dispute can take 10-12 business days or up to 45 days. My info is still wrong. Has the hackers email and phone no. I have called customer service a number of time. I am so frustrated and upset because they have my money and is telling me I have to wait for the dispute to be decided then they tell me I lost my 75 dollars in cash back due to my card being deactivate. I will never use this bank again!!!! Be very careful when selecting this card!!!!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2021

I have a Walmart Green Dot debit card. Yesterday, a transaction was placed that I did not approve so Walmart sent me a confirmation request. I pressed "no" I did not authorize that request. It immediately put a block on my card. I called their support line and was told that they would have to issue me a replacement card and deactivated my current card even though I asked them not to. Then I was told it would take 5-7 business days to process my new card. Until that time, I have no access to my money! All the money I have is tied to that card (I use direct deposit) so I have no money at all until my new card arrives. I take medication for a very serious illness and can't afford to refill that medication for a week now. There is a very good chance I will end up in the hospital (or worse).

All I was told was "Sorry for your inconvenience". How can a company/bank keep your money and not even allow you access to it? It's my money! I will be closing this account the second I receive the new card and have access to move my money elsewhere. The "support center" is a joke and the representatives are very difficult to understand. Each time I called (5-6 times total), I got a different answer. A "supervisor" told me "Sorry for the misinformation given to you by previous representatives". No empathy at all for my medical situation. They have no access to help you with your online account either so if it doesn't work, you're out luck there too. Stay as far way from this card as possible!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

Well I went to the bank one day and my card will not give me money so I called they said it was blocked. I need to verify my day this is April 28th 2021 and why did they block it. They didn't have a reason I need to access my money. My water at my home has been shut off since then my email address under that account name is ** but they will not send my money back to me. They told me to verify my identity. I did that then they said I need to do account take over something. I did that. They said I have my check in 2 weeks. On June 15th they never come. Need that. I've talked to him every day since then.

Now they're telling me I need to call the IRS and they'll get my check back for me. They supposed to be the one send it back - not me. I didn't block my account. They bought my account. They canceled my checks, got my water set off on me, bounce two more checks. Then I'm responsible for now. I hate this card I just want my money. I don't know what to do. I need help. I don't have the same phone number no more. If you can help me please email me at the email that I'm emailing this from. I don't know much about this internet crap. It's nothing to me. I'm no good at it. So there's my thing. They don't deserve a star sorry. That's why I didn't get one for me but you have to mark a star in order to leave something on here. So I did. They got one star but they don't get that really. I don't recommend this card sorry. But I done been nice as I can. I'm about to get brutal brutal brutal not to go to the news I guess.

Walmart MoneyCard Company Information