3.80/5
Based on 2,820 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Walmart MoneyCard is a reloadable, prepaid debit card that provides consumers with cash back rewards on purchases they make every day. Use it everywhere Debit MasterCard® or Visa® debit cards are accepted in the U.S. Rewards include 3% cash back at Walmart.com, 2% cash back at Murphy USA and Walmart fuel stations, and 1% cash back at Walmart stores. Earn up to $75 in cash back rewards per year.

Walmart MoneyCard offers free direct deposit and will allow you to send money for free to other Green Dot Bank issued cards. The new Walmart MoneyCard app is now available to track your money around the clock. Contact us today to learn more!

ABBB Rating
View More View More

5074 Walmart MoneyCard Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 19, 2018

Let me start off saying I've had my Walmart card for six years and never had a problem. With that being said I also never ordered anything on a computer. Until the middle of May of this year. I ordered a pizza from Pizza Hut website and used my card (which ask for the three digit number on the back). As soon as I did someone on the west coast started spending my money. By the time I realized they spent 1100 hundred dollars. I did what the Walmart website instructed. Including sending the whole month tracking balance. Clearly showing I'm a east coast lady. The dispute department did refund me for $208. And sent me letter stating just that. My whole mindset has been (as long as they catch the thefts I'd be happy with just that). Yes it makes me feel like criminals are getting rewarded these days. Surely Consumer Affairs has a department that does go on overnight stakeouts to catch these thieves. For now I can't let money break my faith.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Debit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I have had 3 refunded transactions over the last 3 days totaling almost $600 in which is showing nowhere on my account! I have been given incorrect info multiple times, my call disconnected while waiting on a supervisor, and now I was promised a manager call back within the hour and nothing! They tried to say it was because the merchant has not submitted. However the merchant has reference approval #s confirming their acceptance of the funds which was on 6/13. I work in the accounting industry and deal with merchant services every day and never have a seen a company withhold money and then give false information that I know for a FACT is false info. If my funds are not available to me by midnight I will be seeking legal counsel. This is so wrong for a large trusted name company to do to people that live paycheck to paycheck and need every penny of OUR money and they have NO RIGHT to deny access to it!

Original review: June 15, 2018

My job deposited emergency funds into my account. I got the confirmation email and all. The money wasn't showing in my recent transactions so I called and was told there was a direct deposit delay and that they didn't have an estimated time that funds would be released, but she saw that it was pending. I called this morning and I was told there was never any delay and they don't see my funds. Now my job thinks I'm lying and I'm homeless because of this. They magically lost thousands of dollars. There is a note on the site that says all accounts will be closed August 1 2018, and it's talking about how to get your money back. When I mentioned it to the customer representative they said it isn't true. I just want my money and to close my account permanently.

Original review: June 15, 2018

Yesterday on June 14, 2018, I was charged double for a transaction and I immediately caught it. I called the place that charged my card twice and they did everything they could to help me and was told it would be up to 24 hrs until my money was loaded back on to my card. So today, June 15, 2018, at 3 pm it has officially been 24 hrs with my money still NOT loaded back on to my card. I called the customer care center. I went through the prompts and was directed to a guy named Adrian. I told him my concerns and asked where my money was as was told I had to wait until the 21st to receive my money back when I was originally told 24 hrs. I then asked to speak to a manager and he DENIED me the right to speak to someone in management.

I asked several times to speak to a manager and was continuously denied the right to speak to someone in management. I asked if the call was being recorded and he said yes in which I stated then it is being recorded that I have asked several times to speak to a manager and was denied every time. I asked his name and then hung up. I called back and got a nice lady on the phone who did her best to help me and said that I could speak to a manager. She put me on hold three times trying to get a manager but was unsuccessful and put me on the priority list to be called back by a manager. To be denied the right to speak to a manager about my money situation with the card absolutely had me livid. I will be changing to a different bank as soon as my money is put back on my card.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I've been so fed up with Walmart Money card. I never had an issue till April 27 when I ordered my new card because I lost my card. Somehow between it not being delivered or whatever I have had to order it 3 different times. I do not recommend this card. Go with a bank that can create a card on the spot. I've been paid multiple times and I can't use my money. I've called in multiple times talked to multiple people and still haven't received my card. I've had to buy another card at the store to transfer my money 1 time! They allowed me to transfer for a 1 time courtesy from one card to the other.

I'm so over with calling in to figure out where my card is. Due to the type of card I have I can't get a tracking number. I can't take care of my own family because they're not send my card and yet they have MY MONEY in the MY account so I can't get it out without first being sent a card to withdraw it. Who knows if they can do their job right to actually send it to me this time. I've been waiting since April 27th my first attempt. They're no help. Talking to them they always say there's no manager I can talk to try to expedite my card. Beware and go with a regular bank. It's a waste of time and they hold your money hostage.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Walmart MoneyCard?

Original review: June 14, 2018

For a week, I have been trying to get my Walmart MoneyCard to work. There is a "block" on the card and I have been trying to remove the block so I can use the card. There has been no solutions to help me with removing the block. I keep trying to call the "support" number and it has been extremely unhelpful! I need to speak with someone about removing the block and being able to use the card. At this point I am extremely frustrated and have read some very disturbing complaints with this card. No one should have to go through this much to use their own money. I am disappointed with the experience and would NEVER recommend it. Save yourself the headache.

Original review: June 13, 2018

A couple of months ago I opened two case with the dispute department after I saw some charges that seemed very suspicious and sure enough my card I found out that my card was stolen. When I called customer care they seemed very helpful and understanding even agreed with me as they had seen my previous transactions and noticed that the ones in questions seemed out the ordinary. They sent me a new card and told me by the time I received my new card I would more than likely see my funds credited the account. After opening the case the first time my claim was denied despite sending them all the proof that they needed. They said to expect a letter in the mail pertaining to why my claim was denied which I never received and no one was able to tell me exactly why it was denied.

I reopened the case and after a month of waiting I was told my case was denied again. I've called various times and have been told they will mail me a letter of the investigation results yet I haven't received a valid explanation of why they keep denying my claim. The customer service agents did not help me at any point other than to send me a replacement card that I was charged for despite this not being my fault. If someone can please help me resolve this issue I would really appreciate it. I just want the money that is rightfully mine back, this is something unfortunate that can happen to anyone and unfortunately it happened to me.

Original review: June 12, 2018

March 2018 I had money stolen off my card, Totaling about $700. I called & reported those purchases because I didn’t make them. The CS rep told me I had to cancel my card but it would take up to 24 hrs because I needed to get my remaining money off. I received a new card BUT my dispute was denied not once not twice BUT 3 times! I even went the EXTRA step to file a police report & they still denied me! I have been fighting this since March & it is now June & they have still denied me!!! I’m LIVID RIGHT NOW. Basically they told me it’s nothing they could do about it & I need to send in NEW information about the same claims I HAVE been disputing. I don’t have any FURTHER information other than what I have already submitted. I have never went through anything like this smh & I would NEVER file a false police report (IT'S A CRIME)!!! I would NEVER recommend this card to anyone. SUCH A SCAM!!! You're better off with a bank!!!

Original review: June 12, 2018

Great card of choice. It’s been working great for me. I love the prize reward savings. It’s nice to know you want to give something back to your customers. I’m hoping to win that $1000 cause I could really use it... lol. But thank you.

Hi Camill,
We're so happy to hear that you're satisfied with you Walmart MoneyCard. Mission Accomplished! We do our best to offer alternatives to traditional banks by offering a variety of features, simple fees and rewards. We hope that you continue to enjoy your card and all of its great features.

Green Dot Corporation

Original review: June 11, 2018

This is the absolutely worst experience I've had with one of these prepaid debit cards. I purchased my card last month so that I would have a bank account for my payroll to go to, I registered the card waited for my personalized card to come in the mail and it never did. So I call for a replacement card and when I received the replacement card it had a different account number. By this time my employer has already direct deposited my payroll and I had no access to it. So I call and they offer to send me another replacement card which will take 7 to 14 business days. I received said card. They tried to charge me a $3 replacement fee for a card that I never received in the first place. It's been over a month and I'm still trying to chase down my first paycheck.

This is absolutely the worst experience I've ever had with a prepaid debit card. I can't express how disappointed I am with the company and with the customer service, and I will never ever ever use Walmart MoneyCard again after I finally receive my money if I ever receive my money. I don't recommend anyone ever using Walmart MoneyCard. It honestly is a joke. In short I purchased Walmart MoneyCard so that I could get paid faster a month ago and still haven't been paid.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I have battled with Walmart's rules and guidelines pertaining to the prepaid money cards they offer and how I've been trying to get my funds from them for OVER A YEAR. I try to do their document upload and I am ALWAYS met with obstacles and when I call their customer service line they tell me to call the number on the back of the money card only for the machine to tell me how I cannot be helped and then am hung up on. I'M so FRUSTRATED with Walmart. I am going file a lawsuit against them... All for 75$ that I have unsuccessfully been able to collect due to Walmart's unprofessional selfish standards.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I misplaced my card and reported it lost last night. I traced it down today and located my card. I got an email to put in my 16 digit number and send copy of my ID but it tells me my card number cannot be found. I need to get this block removed and I can't seem to speak to a live person when I call the number on back of card. Please help.

Original review: June 9, 2018

Our card was hacked on 5/26/18. The card was replicated and used in North Carolina. I live in Ohio. They spent over 600 at Lowe's and 21 at a subway. I called Lowe's and spoke with loss prevention and they confirmed that the card was swiped and gift cards were purchased. I took down the name and number of the loss prevention supervisor. I called Walmart noticeably upset because these criminals took food out of my kid's mouth, they wiped us out, so it's hard not to get extremely angry and feel lost. I read these reviews for Walmart MoneyCard and saw thousands of reviews for this same issue and thousands of them said that Walmart MoneyCard did not help them and they never received their money, because of these reviews I had a chip on my shoulder every time I spoke to someone regarding my dispute and I was NOT a pleasant customer to deal with.

Having said all this I have to THANK Walmart MoneyCard for dealing with me and dealing with my dispute in a timely manner. My money was put back IN FULL after 10 days. It was a rough 10 days but I am grateful to have it back and glad it didn't take longer. I had my ducks in a row and had screenshots of the unauthorized transactions and witness statements to prove we were in Ohio and could not swipe the card in NC. Also showed proof that a purchase was made in Ohio 30 mins before the purchase in NC. Keep a good record and stay diligent if this happens to you. Contact LP from the store your card was used, file a police report, you will have to jump through hoops, but you have to prove your identity and innocence so they know you're not the one trying to pull a scam on them.

It is very frustrating but if you stay diligent I'm confident Walmart MoneyCard will do the right thing for you. The reason I gave 4 stars, they replace your card and give you new card numbers, BUT your account and routing number stay the same, so to me I feel you can still get hacked through your account and routing number. I will no longer use my Walmart MoneyCard ONLY because I'm not a person who has a savings account. I live paycheck to paycheck at the moment and can not afford for this to happen again, I can not be wiped out of all the money to my name. So l won't be using ANY bank from now on. Cash only. This is happening way too often to EVERYONE whether you have the Walmart card or a regular bank.

Original review: June 9, 2018

My card was fraudulently charged, the merchant canceled the transaction and the representative that I spoke with when I called my money network card said that they would be crediting my account back the $63. It's been 2 weeks and I still haven’t received my money. I received the new card but that’s it. So I called back and the next rep told me that a dispute process hadn’t even been started so there goes another 2 weeks. Once I get my funds back I will be throwing the card away because that’s poor customer service.

Original review: June 8, 2018

On 6/5/18, I had went grocery shopping. I remember having my wallet with me when going into the store but upon paying couldn't find. I then checked, went to front store and walked around store to see if either it was found and turned in or if I dropped it. Realizing that I couldn't find it, I then called Walmart MoneyCard and reported my card lost/stolen. It's now 6/8/2018. I log into my account to see they need a ID uploaded to verify it's me, thing is I don't have an ID due to losing my wallet. I can't get one due to my card being lost. Tried calling customer service, it sucks, wouldn't allow me to talk to a representative due to block being on my card. All it keeps telling me to do is log in to my account and upload ID so I can unblock my phone. This is crazy. I been using this service for 5+ years for direct deposits, really thinking about going somewhere else if I can't speak with someone about MY money.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Recently I went to reload at Walmart and was told only could reload at money center when I could load at any register. Now that we can't load at register it is inconvenient. So I am hoping policies can go back.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I submitted a review back in February 2018 about my tax refund being sent back to the IRS. I understand that my husband was not on my account for the Walmart card/Green Dot. But what I don’t understand is why they sent it back to the IRS as fraud. Because of this, we still have not received our return. Lost our car! And very close to losing our home, we have two children to support. The tax refund is for our deposit. I received a call and was credited only $35!!!! I have read all the complaints and seen that many people had the same issue with their cards, either from theft or anything else. I’m still not happy about this, as why couldn’t I be contacted when the check was deposited? Like any other bank would do? I hate to complain, but I’m beyond upset the way the refund was sent back as if it was fraud! With my name being on the return as well!!!

Original review: June 7, 2018

I've had a great experience with Green Dot black card. I hope nothing changes! If you have any other questions you can contact me by email. I got my daughter to use the blue card. And it has kept her from over drawing anything.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I recently called to get a new card because mine is broken, the next day I get an email saying my card is blocked. I called the customer service number, put my card number in and it says is your card is blocked, send a copy of your ID and then the call is over. There are no options to speak to anyone, so pretty much they screw you & keep your money. I have sent emails asking if a copy of a birth certificate & social security card would be acceptable and still no response!!! I need a number to speak to a human being!!! Whoever reads this I would suggest not to buy this card!!!

Original review: June 6, 2018

Good card, have not had any problems in the years I've been using the Walmart card. My deposit is always early, I have no complaints. Will continue to use the card. The money counter at Walmart where I use the card is okay, could be better on the hours, but again will still use the Walmart card.

Hi Clint,
We're so happy to hear that you like your Walmart MoneyCard and appreciate your feedback. Feedback from wonderful customers such as yourself assists us in becoming better at what we do. We hope that you continue to enjoy your Walmart MoneyCard and all of its great features. Thank you so much for being a loyal customer.

Original review: June 6, 2018

Mobile deposit - I have been depositing the same check, for the same amount, every month on the same date for over a year now. Every time I have deposited this check it clears in 3 days at the very most. This time you all are holding it for 7 business days for a reason unbeknownst to me. I'm very dissatisfied with this experience and would likely pay a fee at the originating bank to avoid this situation again. I was given no resolution when I called customer service. I did not have the option to cancel the transaction afterward.

In a day and age where a check can be verified instantly at a Point of Sale, I find it completely unacceptable for a check to be held for this length of time. I understand fraud protection and all the other excuses I may be given regarding this issue. The option to cancel the deposit after seeing the length of the hold would have been an acceptable resolution to me. Maybe consider adding that feature. I could understand the hold if it were the first time I deposited from this paper or if it was for a large sum of money. Neither of these were true.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I don't use Banks. I have had a Walmart MoneyCard on a separate account for over a decade. I used this one because I cannot switch over another one but I've used to service a very long time and it's never let me down and the new volt feature is amazing. I highly recommended the service and you cannot overdraft if you have that issue like I do.

Hi Daniel,
Thank you for providing such valuable feedback. We do our best to offer alternatives to traditional banks by offering a variety of features and simple fees. We're so happy you're satisfied. Mission Accomplished! We hope that you continue to enjoy your Walmart MoneyCard and all of it's great features.

Thanks, Green Dot Corporation

Original review: June 5, 2018

Usually good but the amount I can deposit a month threw my PayPal definitely needs increased. Some more options in the MoneyCard app for ease of access. An total amount of money you can keep in account at anytime. Good luck with new partnership.

Hi Brad,

Thank you for taking the time to communicate your concerns to us. Great feedback! We also thank you for your suggestions, we will forward it to the correct team.

Thanks, Green Dot Corporation

Original review: June 5, 2018

The only problem is that they have a limit of money that can be deposited and the limit of transactions that can be made, which I sometimes think of opening a bank account. If there were no limit, it would be better than having a bank account. I think it's great that they do not charge monthly fees if they have enough balance. I love being able to have a place to save like the Stash and reward for it.

Hi Sasha,

Thank you for taking the time to communicate your concerns with us. Great feedback! Please note, all fees and limitations are mentioned on the card's packaging at the time of purchase. We anticipate all terms and conditions are read and understood by our customers before purchasing at their own discretion. We're glad you're still able to enjoy your Walmart MoneyCard experience despite certain prepaid debit card limitations.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I bought a few Walmart Visa gift cards issued by Green Dot corp. Unfortunately they were compromised. Someone made bunch of unauthorized purchased on these cards. I filed disputes with Green Dot Corp, and emailed in supporting documents as they requested. After not hearing about any decision for quite a while as they promised, I called and was told they did not receive the supporting documents for 2 of the disputes. What's weird is that I sent in supporting documents for all 3 disputes to the same email address on the same day, and one of them was processed properly. They told me to resend the supporting documents for the 2 disputes again, which I did right away.

Two days after I emailed the supporting documents, I called to make sure they received the documents. I kept getting 'we are experiencing technical difficulties' message for over a month. Finally today I used a different card and was able to get through to a live person. She told me both disputes were declined because it is over 120 days! And I never received a letter or email on this decision!! This is absolutely ridiculous!! I want to talk to someone who can help me get this resolved ASAP.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Have had MoneyCard for over 5 years and loved it until last week. Have always used Same Day Reload option, but suddenly without any notice it has disappeared. On my transfer funds screen there is only the standard bank transfer option (which by the way costs me the same as Same Day). Have had nothing but problems setting up standard bank transfer system... large banks are miserable to deal with. Will have to find another debit card. Why did you do this???

Original review: June 4, 2018

I purchased this card for my daughter to take on her middle school trip. I wanted to be able to add funds to a card in case she needed more money while gone. After researching we went with money card as it was reloadable unlike the gift cards from the bank. We got the money card, put funds on it, and registered it. Now it is saying it could not verify my information so it will not allow me to reload nor allow her to get cash funds out at an atm. I have tried every possible way to get a live person on the customer service line to no avail. I emailed support and it said it could be days to get a response. We do not have days. Horrible customer service! I will never get another money card from Walmart!

Original review: June 3, 2018

My card was hacked, contacted eBay, they handled their end of the deal quickly. Call Walmart MoneyCard and they tell me they have to check on it and it'll be over two weeks before they can do anything. I lost my whole paycheck, now can't pay my bills. I'm done with this company.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I purchased a Walmart reload card for my son. When setting it up the verification check came back incorrect although correct information was entered. A agent advised me that a permanent card couldn't be issued and the card could only be used directly in stores. No online purchases and it was ok to use. My son went all the way to Orlando on his end of the year field trip with a locked card unable to purchase anything and I can’t even speak with a live agent to rectify the problem. I am very furious???

Original review: June 2, 2018

On 5/29/2018, I returned a few items to a merchant ($665.50). I did not use this card to purchase the items. So on 5/31/2018, I called into the customer service number and spoke to a rep. She informed me that they have received the credit from the merchant and my balance was reflecting the refund, however my account is frozen because they cannot verify the company. (small business) She requested I take a picture of the receipt. No problem. I understand to a point, so I emailed the photo of the return receipt with all of the requested info listed below the photo. No call from anyone (keep in mind I had attached contact email and phone number). When I got home hours later, I called again to check the status and after 45 mins on hold, I was finally able to speak to someone. She gathered my information and asked how she could help-I filled her in and she said she was going to investigate and put me on hold for an additional 45 mins.

When I was finally greeted again it was by an entirely different person who asked for the same info as before. I again filled her in on the situation and she informed me that they needed the original sales receipt. I asked to speak to a manager, informed she is a supervisor and no manager in the building. I asked multiple times how to remedy this- "Send pics of the original sales receipt", she stated (these products were purchased by my family members for me as a gift and not affiliated with the card). She stated I could not get my money until then-even though they have the money credited and sitting in my acct.

I asked her to return the money to the merchant so that then I could just do another onto my actual bank card and she stated this is not possible. Therefore they have my money but will not release it. I complied with the request, got reprinted copies of original sales receipts and emailed them to the email address provided by rep. at 10:00am, It is now 9:34pm and I am still sitting on hold (2hrs. 17 mins) without a rep answering the phone. I have bills that are due and am in dire need of this situation to be remedied-ASAP, however I have not received that from this company at this time.

Walmart MoneyCard Company Information