3.34/5
Based on 1,247 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Walmart MoneyCard is a reloadable, prepaid debit card that provides consumers with cash back rewards on purchases they make every day. Use it everywhere Debit MasterCard® or Visa® debit cards are accepted in the U.S. Rewards include 3% cash back at Walmart.com, 2% cash back at Murphy USA and Walmart fuel stations, and 1% cash back at Walmart stores. Earn up to $75 in cash back rewards per year.

Walmart MoneyCard offers free direct deposit and will allow you to send money for free to other Green Dot Bank issued cards. The new Walmart MoneyCard app is now available to track your money around the clock. Contact us today to learn more!

ABBB Rating
View More View More

6597 Walmart MoneyCard Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: May 9, 2019

I got this card because I let my bank account go, plus I was serving and was tired of never having a credit card for anything. It was easy to load my cash at Walmart, you pay 4$ to load money and I think you can load as much as you want. Only thing I don’t like about it is that since it is prepaid I’m limited to what I can do with it, but that’s my own problem lol. I can have my work checks direct deposited (I got my first one 2 days early which was cool because that was only cause of MoneyCard) and last year when I filed my taxes they rewarded me 10$ just for having them direct deposited to my card.

This year when I filed I got my taxes two days earlier and didn’t even know it lol because MoneyCard offered that this year. Also you can get cashback on your purchases at Walmart, and your 10$ fee a month will be waived if you spend the minimum a month! Or is it if you put a certain amount of money? I think it’s a certain amount of purchases but anyway. What bank can you do that with?? Hardly any. This is perfect for people who keep a lot of cash and shop at Walmart a lot. Also people who don’t have a bank account and need a quick fix. Card costs like 3.50 I think plus 4$ to load and whatever you put on it.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Debit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 7, 2019

I'm very satisfied with Moneycard. The only thing I don't understand is why certain businesses won't direct deposit to my account. That's the only thing that I don't like. It seems to be more of a problem with them. Do you have any resolution for that?

Hi Jami,

We appreciate your feedback! We're so glad you're happy with your Walmart MoneyCard experience. Please be advised, when you enroll in direct deposit release of deposit is subject to your payment provider’s process and timing. If you have additional questions or concerns please contact us directly.

Green Dot Corporation

Original review: April 3, 2019

K. I usually hate doing surveys and reviews, but this card is so good I'll give you a bit of my time. I'm a cash only kinda guy at heart, but in today's world you gotta have the plastic, and an account for direct deposit. Banks are horrible, lie about fees and fines (esp overdraft), and generally I've been treated like I'm some kind of pond scum by the clerks. The Walmart/Green Dot card is essentially attached to an online bank, does what no brick and mortar bank does; zero overdraft. In addition too there is a savings account attached, cash back at Walmart, and entries into some drawings with cash prizes (won $25 and I still don't know when I was entered). Direct deposit is super easy, and if you deposit over $1000 in a month there is no fee at all. Cash deposits are $3 to $5 but you can do them at other stores too. The only drawback I've seen is that Uber doesn't take them, but that's fine by me because Lyft does. I haven't found any other place that doesn't, online or brick. Really, I'm a picky customer mostly, my praise is hard to earn. I mean it when I say bravo Walmart, bravo.

Hi John,

You've got us all figured out! In fact, we’re a team that's dedicated to providing our customers with the best prepaid debit card possible. We’re so happy to hear that you’re enjoying your Walmart MoneyCard and hope that it continues to service your every need. Thanks for being a part of the Green Dot family.

Green Dot Corporation

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I'm now heading into my third year of using Walmart MoneyCard. Leaving behind my old bank was the best choice I ever made. I live paycheck-to-paycheck and there were many times when I couldn't keep the minimum $15 balance that was required by my bank. (You know... The one where they would charge you ANOTHER $15 for not having $15 to begin with.) Walmart MoneyCard has no minimum balance, no overdraft fees, a free vault that acts like its own savings account, and cash-back savings at the end of every year. This past year, I not only earned $20 in cash-back, but I also won $30 from the Prize Savings lottery! I never win ANYTHING, so you can imagine my shock when I signed in and found an extra $30 in my account from "Prize Savings". I was really happy. :) I love this card and have no plans to ever use another one.

Hi Shannon,

We loved reading your review and appreciate your feedback. We're so glad we're able to assist you in your financial needs. Your business is greatly appreciated. Please feel free to contact us via private message if you have any questions or concerns.

Green Dot Corporation

Original review: June 9, 2018

Our card was hacked on 5/26/18. The card was replicated and used in North Carolina. I live in Ohio. They spent over 600 at Lowe's and 21 at a subway. I called Lowe's and spoke with loss prevention and they confirmed that the card was swiped and gift cards were purchased. I took down the name and number of the loss prevention supervisor. I called Walmart noticeably upset because these criminals took food out of my kid's mouth, they wiped us out, so it's hard not to get extremely angry and feel lost. I read these reviews for Walmart MoneyCard and saw thousands of reviews for this same issue and thousands of them said that Walmart MoneyCard did not help them and they never received their money, because of these reviews I had a chip on my shoulder every time I spoke to someone regarding my dispute and I was NOT a pleasant customer to deal with.

Having said all this I have to THANK Walmart MoneyCard for dealing with me and dealing with my dispute in a timely manner. My money was put back IN FULL after 10 days. It was a rough 10 days but I am grateful to have it back and glad it didn't take longer. I had my ducks in a row and had screenshots of the unauthorized transactions and witness statements to prove we were in Ohio and could not swipe the card in NC. Also showed proof that a purchase was made in Ohio 30 mins before the purchase in NC. Keep a good record and stay diligent if this happens to you. Contact LP from the store your card was used, file a police report, you will have to jump through hoops, but you have to prove your identity and innocence so they know you're not the one trying to pull a scam on them.

It is very frustrating but if you stay diligent I'm confident Walmart MoneyCard will do the right thing for you. The reason I gave 4 stars, they replace your card and give you new card numbers, BUT your account and routing number stay the same, so to me I feel you can still get hacked through your account and routing number. I will no longer use my Walmart MoneyCard ONLY because I'm not a person who has a savings account. I live paycheck to paycheck at the moment and can not afford for this to happen again, I can not be wiped out of all the money to my name. So l won't be using ANY bank from now on. Cash only. This is happening way too often to EVERYONE whether you have the Walmart card or a regular bank.

Hi Cayla,

We attempted to contact you regarding your concern but haven’t been able to reach you. If you still require assistance, please call the number left on your voicemail. We’re here to help.

Green Dot Corporation

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Walmart MoneyCard?

Original review: May 23, 2019

I the money card and all the benefits it comes with. Thanks. I have never had any problems and the Walmart card team always helps when there is problems. I lost my card once and they quickly sent me a new one so I could be able to use the card again.

Original review: May 23, 2019

I Love that I can use it for direct deposit, add cash, use it and load it easily, however paying $3.20 to load money onto it really gets me. Makes me use my friend's card sometimes when money is tight.

Original review: May 22, 2019

It's been good overall but there are some weeks where my check comes a day later than normal. I don't like having ATM fees or have to go into the store to get cash back. But it's working out good for the most part.

Hi Lavoris,

We would like to thank you for your positive feedback. Please be advised that ATM withdraw fees can vary. Please be sure you use your ATM locator within the app or look for the pulse symbol at the ATM machine. We hope this addresses some of your concern. Feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions or concerns that you would like to discuss.

Thank you!

Original review: May 22, 2019

The Walmart MoneyCard kept me from overspending. I had the direct deposit for a little while, so I didn't have to go into the Money store that often. It made it easier because I didn't have to go and add money on it. They opened up a new Walmart near me, and the line went a lot faster than the other Walmart. The only thing that I didn't like about it was there was a lot of red tape when I had to call them. I had to get transferred and the line that I had to call was outsourced.

Original review: May 22, 2019

The Walmart money is the perfect prepaid debit card. No issues at all. If I could change anything... it would be to have card design options! The blue card is kind of dull and boring. Otherwise it's a perfect card! I really love the vault. It's like having a savings account.

Hi Corye,

Thanks again,

Original review: May 22, 2019

I have been using the Walmart MoneyCard for several years. The only issue I have is when I moved they refused to change my address without providing all kinds of documentation. Moving alone is stressful enough without all the hassle. I dont understand why Im not able to update my address on the mobile app or when I log in to the website. It's kind of frustrating. That's the only negative thing I have to say about the moneycard. Other than that I love the mobile app and being able to see my balance & transactions. I love the fact I get my direct deposits early. It helps when your running short on money before payday!

Hi Michelle,

Thank you for providing such valuable feedback. We value your business and thank you for allowing us to assist you with your financial needs. Feel free to contact us via private message if you have any questions or concerns you'd like to discuss.

Thanks again,

Original review: May 22, 2019

I like getting cash back on Walmart purchases but I'm tired of all the ATM fees. I think $5/month maintenance fee is okay but there is no ATM anywhere where I can withdraw money surcharge free. That adds up each month. It's so unfair. I'm thinking of switching to paper checks and just using cash.

Hello Jaleel,

We attempted to contact you through the number provided by Consumer Affairs but were unable to reach you. However, we left you a voicemail that contained our direct contact information. Please contact us at your earliest convenience, so that we may assist you with resolving your concerns.

Original review: May 21, 2019

Hello. I don't know if I am the only one. Has your MoneyCard been taking extra money off your card today? My card has been messed up since this morning. I called customer service and she said it was something wrong with the system and it would be fixed shortly. It's been 8 hours later and still nothing. But overall I love this card. I've been a customer for about 3 to 4 years. No hassle with bank tellers and not a lot of fees. Have a nice day.

Hello Veronica,

Original review: May 21, 2019

I've had it for a couple years now and the card works great and I like the cash back rewards and I like the fact you can stash and unstash your money and receive rewards for it and I use it for my direct deposit.

Hi Kenneth,

Thank you for being our valued customer and your business over the years. We look forward to working with you for many more years to come. We value your business and thank you for your continued support.

Thank you!

Original review: May 21, 2019

By being able to store my money in the money card vault, it's as if I have a totally free saving account which no one can have access to which allows me to pay my bills when I want which avoids the hassle of having my card overdrawn because of some company taking payment at a time I don't have it. Hence, I pay you when I feel like it!!! Other cards not only allow companies to take your last penny, but would also allow them to put you in the negative. With the Walmart money card, I just store it in the vault and no one, absolutely no one has access to my money but me. Plus by saving my money I'm automatically given a chance to win even more money!!? Yeah, I love this card. Oh yeah, and I get my check direct deposited early!!! So while my coworkers are waiting to get paid, I've already started spending my money!

Hi DeAngelo,

Great feedback! We’re so happy to hear that you’re enjoying your Walmart MoneyCard and hope that it continues to service your every need. Thanks again for being a loyal customer.

Original review: May 21, 2019

Love the ease of setting up direct deposit of my SSA payments, and the no fee for direct deposit. I can easily follow my account activity online, even on my old netbook. I do not feel like one of the crowd anymore and love not being constantly badgered to take up bank products that I do not need. The employees in the store were very knowledgeable and kind in helping me set up my SSA deposits.

Original review: May 21, 2019

I meant nothing but a wonderful experience with a Walmart MoneyCard. I greatly appreciate the direct deposit possibility for my work and then no problems. The only issue is I wish I could use it for phone purchases more. It would be nice to be able to make more online purchases.

Original review: May 21, 2019

I’ve had my card for almost 2 years and really enjoy it! The cash back is definitely a plus! Highly recommend for anyone that can’t open a bank account! I will definitely be using mine for years to come! A+++.

Original review: May 21, 2019

I think the fee for the card is a little steep. I don't use it very often - just have money direct deposited to it to save and use for bigger things. I think the fee should be based on usage more than anything.

Hello Alicia,

Original review: May 21, 2019

I really like using my card. I have my check deposit to it. I can use it almost anywhere. I do wish there were more atm that were not inside Walmart. It's very inconvenient. I like the app. It's very easy to use.

Original review: May 20, 2019

The card is awesome. I was loving getting paid 2 days in advance then it stopped all of a sudden and now I get paid the day before. I don't know what happened but I still love it especially with the cash back at Walmart. It would be better if we could get cash advances and and build credit with it, something to consider.

Original review: May 20, 2019

I really like using my Wal-Mart credit. Very easy and convenient access is awesome text your deposits. Auto renewal of card. Easy access on balance transactions. Acceptable everywhere I go. Pay check auto deposit. Fast and easy. Affordable credit card accepted any ever you shop.

Original review: May 20, 2019

Overall card is pretty nice. Have no complaints right now. The only thing that is kinda off putting is the cash back rewards. If I'm understanding it I wouldn't get it for a year. What I think is that the rewards should be paid after 60 days.

Original review: May 20, 2019

When I first used my card always received messages about direct deposit and balance. I no longer receive them no matter how many times I have put my number in. Maybe you can get this taken care of. Other than that I like my card.

Hello Jessica,

We attempted to contact you through the number provided by Consumer Affairs but were unable to reach you or leave a voicemail. Please contact us via Private Message at your earliest convenience so we can assist you with resolving your concerns. We look forward to hearing from you!

Original review: May 20, 2019

I can't change my address and my card is expiring. I have been a customer for many years, I have money deposited monthly automatically and am still charged a fee, I was originally told I would not be charged said fee with automatic deposits... Very disappointing. I should not have to call the 800 number if I have an online account (which I do), it's not only annoying that I can't hear or understand the operator half of the time (I'm hearing impaired), but it takes too long to reach someone. May even cut down your labor costs if you allow more self serve options on the website.

Hello Bonnie,

Original review: May 20, 2019

Glad to have this reliable card as a financial source. It has helped me manage my money and pay many sources of responsibility. This card has a great security and always informs me of my transactions, that no other card has beat. I'm so glad to have this card.

Original review: May 20, 2019

Honestly the earlier years of the Walmart card was incredible the customer service was great, reliable and easy to speak to. Now it seems you cannot connect to customer service without mailing in disputes, encounters, or problems and you never seem to get an answer. I have seriously been looking into switching my account due to just those issues which fortunately I have not had many but I still want the reliability backed behind me in case of those emergency. In this day of age I want to know I’m protected. Walmart no longer satisfies my fears of this happening.

Original review: May 20, 2019

Since using the Money card I have had no issues paying bills, accessing my money or receiving customer support for any issue I have had. Replacements are handled easily and quickly. Great experience so far! Would recommend to anyone who doesn't want to use traditional banking.

Original review: May 20, 2019

I love the card. I love the card. I love the card. Thank you very much. I love shopping at Walmart My debit card is the best. The cash I got back the other day was very helpful. It came right on time. Was doing bad at the time I needed that. Thank you again.

Original review: May 20, 2019

I would love using this card if I could use it on Apple Pay and cash app. I would love to say that it would make my life a little easier. But the things that I do like is the cash back at Walmart. And that I get paid up to two days early.

Hello Tyeshia,