2. Finance
  3. Prepaid Cards

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.20/5

The Walmart MoneyCard is a prepaid banking card. The card includes a variety of features such as cash back rewards at Walmart.com, Walmart Fuel Stations and Walmart stores. The card has no fees at Walmart locations, and it has a mobile app that lets you track your purchases and deposit funds into your account.

BOTTOM LINE

The Walmart MoneyCard is a good choice for frequent Walmart shoppers. The card has cash back rewards up to $75 each year. You can manage your funds and deposit cash on the go with the MoneyCard app.

PROS

• Cash back on Walmart purchases
  • 2% APY annually
  • Up to four free family accounts

CONS

• No fees only at Walmart locations
  • Numerous fees

Top Walmart MoneyCard Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Walmart MoneyCard?

Everything's working very well with my Walmart MoneyCard. I like that I can’t go over. … I can go to the store right now, and in five minutes, it’s already showed up on my transactions. ... I also use the direct deposit and sometimes I actually am paid before my co-workers. We’re a happy customer.

I like my Walmart MoneyCard. It really is great. I love it. I like that I don’t have to have a bank account. I use their online app and I like that I can check my transactions and that the transactions show up right away. I’ve been very satisfied.

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

Unsubscribe at any time.

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

What is a Walmart MoneyCard?

The Walmart money card is a prepaid debit card offered through Walmart. Customers earn cash back rewards for using their Walmart MoneyCard at Walmart stores and fuel stations and online at Walmart.com. The cash back rewards can be accessed after 12 months of use as long as the card maintains a positive balance.

Other features of the Walmart MoneyCard include:

• No overdraft fees
    • 2% annual interest
    • Free cash reloads using the Walmart app
    • ASAP Direct Deposit
    • Free family accounts

To enroll in the Walmart MoneyCard program, visit the company’s website and fill out the application form. You must supply your name, address, phone number, Social Security number and preferred card type: Visa or Mastercard.

Walmart MoneyCard fees

The Walmart MoneyCard has several fees, including:

• Monthly fee: $5.94, but waived if $1,000 or more was loaded onto the card in the previous monthly period
    • ATM withdrawal: $2.50
    • Teller cash withdrawal: $2.50
    • Cash reload fee: $5.95, but free if cash is loaded using the app at a Walmart location
    • ATM balance inquiry: 50 cents
    • Activation fee: One-time $1 fee
    • International transactions: 3% of purchase
    • Paper checks: $5.95 for a pack of 12 paper checks
    • Card replacement fee: $3 for standard delivery and $15 for expedited delivery

Walmart MoneyCard FAQ

Does Walmart MoneyCard deposit early?
    Yes, with the ASAP Direct Deposit feature, customers can access their payday funds two days early and benefits four days early.
    How do I activate my Walmart MoneyCard?
    To activate your Walmart MoneyCard, enroll in the program and follow the instructions provided for activating your card. There is a one-time $1 setup and activation fee.
    Can I withdraw money from my Walmart MoneyCard?
    Yes, but ATM and teller fees apply.
    How do I check my balance on my Walmart MoneyCard?
    Use the Walmart MoneyCard app to check your card’s balance, make mobile check deposits and monitor transactions.
    Can I use my Walmart MoneyCard at a gas pump?
    Yes. Plus, you earn 2% cash back if you use the card at a Walmart fuel station.

Is the Walmart MoneyCard good?

The Walmart MoneyCard is good for customers who frequently shop at Walmart stores and are looking for a simple way to manage money while earning rewards. The simple nature of the card and app helps customers load funds and monitor transactions wherever they are. However, it is best to keep an eye on the fees associated with ATM withdrawals and cash reloads.

Walmart MoneyCard Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Walmart MoneyCard?

Original review: March 15, 2020

I always have cashed in my checks in Walmart, and then I saw the Walmart MoneyCard one day and I asked the lady about it. She was like, I could even have my checks deposited on it. So, I grabbed it and got it. I’ve been able to manage just fine with it. It’s been good to me. The only thing I don’t like about it is I can’t pull money off of it. I can, but even when I go to Walmart, I could only pull a $100 at a time off of it or they charge me the $3 fee every time. I thought when the lady told me as long as it’s direct deposit or I got the card, any time I put money on it, it doesn’t charge me. My direct deposit doesn’t charge me, but if I go in and try to load money on to it, they charge a $3 fee. And that’s another thing. I could only do it at Walmart. I can’t do it at any ATM.

But the benefit is I could use it anywhere. I don’t have to carry cash with me. My direct deposit is good too. I’ve never had a problem with it. However, the reload is just finding a person at Walmart that knows how to do it. You’re supposed to be able to go to any register and be able to load it, but most people don’t know how to do it. So, I end up having to go to customer service to do it. My lady has this card too and at first, I always go to Walmart to wire her money. But with Walmart MoneyCard, it’s just easy transaction over the phone, internet access, use the app to go on there and pull her name up, send her money. She goes on her phone and receives it. She just puts in her card number and it’s that simple.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

At the time when I couldn't get a bank account due to situations I had in my life and I needed a place for my check to go to as well as to make some online billing easier for me, I learned about Walmart MoneyCard. I've used them off and on for a couple of years, and I've had the the current card I use for over a year now. I have been reloading it at my closest Walmart.

The plus side of the whole thing is I've never had any issues or concerns with the MoneyCard. Every once in a while, I would log into my account 'cause I keep basically everything in my savings. And when I make purchases, that's when I transfer the money into where I could actually spend it. Sometimes, it takes a second to get in, but it's smooth for the most part. Another plus I've noticed is we get paid on Friday and I get mine on Thursday. There are a lot of perks. Also, I've talked with many friends who have banking issues and some people who can't have bank accounts, and I highly recommended the MoneyCard to every single one of them. Even if somebody still had a bank account for credit reasons, I always recommend having a Walmart MoneyCard.

Hi Justin,

We appreciate your feedback. As with any business, the greatest advertising that any company can have is word of mouth from a satisfied customer. We hope that you continue to enjoy your Walmart MoneyCard and all of it's great features! Thanks for being a part of the Green Dot family.

Green Dot Bank

Get buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

Since I couldn't get an account anywhere else, I went with Walmart Money Card and it's going great. I've been using my MoneyCard for a little over a year so far, and I like the save and unsave option in the app. The only part that's harder is that I can't go to a bank and just withdraw money. There's no way to easily withdraw money. I have to go in public and do cashback, which kinda suck to end up having to spend money to get money out of my account. It doesn't charge me a fee but I have to buy something. And when I have to do cashback at a store, I get charged double to use an ATM because I get charged with the ATM then charged by them as well. The only Walmart near me is far away so I don't get a chance to go there very often, and I don't like that I get charged to use the services at a Walmart.

Then, I would also like it to be easier for the people I send money to to get the money that I send them 'cause that's been one of the biggest hassles. Sending money to people is easy for me, but it's not easy for them to get the money that I'm sending them. I used to send money to people that I owe money to, like to pay my rent to them, but they end up having to get a Walmart card also in order to get the money. On the other hand, one benefit is cashing a check or depositing a check and getting cashback. I have direct deposit at my job and it's nice and cool that I get my check deposited a day earlier than anybody else back where I work.

Hi Ingird,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with our card. We do our best to offer alternatives to traditional banks by offering a variety of features and simple fees. Thanks again for being a loyal customer.

Green Dot Bank

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

My overall experience with Walmart money card has been good m. There are a few things however that needs to be addressed that can approve the overall experience for not only myself, but others. My husband account was closed due to us loading our tax return on there because we weren’t aware that it could have been direct deposited at the time. Instead of being asked to provide some sort of verification as to where the money was coming from, because I guess Walmart employees had viewed it suspiciously, the account was closed and he was informed he wouldn’t be able to obtain one ever in the future. That should not be the policy and there should be an option to provide legitimate verification versus a decision like that being made and not being able to be reversed.

The other issue is loading the card. It should not be so difficult and time consuming to load the card. At the Walmart in Rohnert Park, CA, you used to be able to load the card at any register and I was recently informed that you were no longer able. To have to wait in line at Customer service due to the money center always being closed for whatever reason was absolutely absurd! There was a couple of times where I didn’t even bother and I needed to load the card to take care of my rent. The line at Customer Service is always so long that you could wait fifteen minutes easily. Besides these issues I enjoy having a Walmart money card. My payroll and financial aid is direct deposited onto it and it makes life easier, especially for those who may not be able to obtain an checking/savings account.

Hi Constance,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us. We do our best to offer alternatives to traditional banks by offering a variety of features and simple fees. Your feedback has been shared with our product developers for consideration.

Green Dot Bank

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

I'm not sure when Jim and I first got the Walmart Card, around 2010 I guess. Worked great for us since neither of us used banks. Card was in Jim's name but I was primary uploader. And auto pay keeps late charges away. Then Jim passed away in 2013. I started canceling certain services I could not afford alone. One being a cable company on auto pay. I could not believe how nasty I was treated. Insinuating I was a liar and refusing to help me. So I emailed Walmart MoneyCard about my problem and they sent me a new card in 3 days and problem solved! When asked who I bank with, Walmart is always my answer! I love online shopping and never have had a problem using my card online or in stores. It has been great!

Hello Paula,

We're so happy to hear that you like your Walmart MoneyCard and appreciate your feedback. Feedback from wonderful customers such as yourself assist us in becoming better at what we do. We hope that you continue to enjoy your Walmart MoneyCard and all of its great features. Thank you so much for being a loyal customer.

Green Dot Bank

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

I'd like to initiate a class action lawsuit against Green Dot aka Walmart Moneycard for holding deposit funds and unacceptable customer service. This started prior to the Covid19 shutdowns and closures but I'm at the breaking point when they cause delays which affects my ability to pay bill that are now past due. Any Lawyers???

Original review: Aug. 26, 2020

I have used my Walmart money card for over 6 years. I loved that I was able to customize my card with a baby picture of my son. My bank wouldn't give me a debit card so this was my best option at the time. I kept the card because I had the numbers memorized which was great. Then one day, I used my card to help my son purchase some car parts. He returned them and the store wasn't able to split the return onto two cards so I had it all put on mine. Well wrong choice coz Walmart put a block on my card so not only do I have access to the $522 refund, I don't have access to my money that was already on there. I've sent in all the documents/receipts they have asked for. They keep saying it will take 2 business days to verify. It's been 10 days!! I've called so many times and can't get anyone on the phone that knows what's going on. I've been told 3 times a supervisor would call me back, but they never do!

Once my card is unlocked, I am pulling all of my money... IF I ever get my $1100 back!!! I am so frustrated that I can't talk to anyone. They say you can email and chat in their site. Nope, there isn't an email listed and the chat only has like 10 pre-printed sentences for you to choose from... you aren't able to write your own question. I filed a complaint with the better business bureau today. We'll see if that does any good! I'm also calling the attorney general tomorrow because this is beyond ridiculous! I just want MY money back!! Worst customer service ever!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2020

I purchased this Walmart visa card at a Walmart store 12 days ago, I registered it the same day it was purchased and I was told it will be under review for two days. Since then I called customer service back and forth maybe 15 times but I was told they cannot access my personal information and to try to register again. Either with my laptop or phone app. After 10 attempts to register my card the answer was the same. "The card will be under review for two days." I spoke over the phone with representatives of Green Dot Bank technical support and sent copies of my card front and back, copies of my registration application and the review note produce after registration. They claimed it seems to be a mistake in my application and it will be processed and corrected in two days (that was 4 days ago).

I called to check the status and I was informed that seems to be a problem with the info I provided but wasn't informed what was the mistake. They said it will be a check mail to me in two weeks and let me wondering what kind of company is this? The customer service is horrible and they lack access to your personal information, there's nobody that can access such information and make any correction required. They hold your cash deposit for 12 days then tell you that it will refund your money in two more weeks.

Original review: July 29, 2020

I have had the Walmart Money Card for a few years and have had government money direct deposited into my card. For around the last 3 months every time I call the number on the back of my card I get a message after the English and Spanish message of welcome to walmart money card. Then it goes on to say "we are unable to assist you at this time" and it then says something about please refer to or website or app for account info and then it hangs up on me. If I call from a different phone I get through to customer service. I tell them about problem and they say that it is my cell phone carrier with the problem. Well now a couple of the other phones with different carriers that I called from before now gets the same message that I get every time I try to call.

My mom has the same cell service as me and has a card also where we can send money to each other and she gets through every time. So it can't be cell provider that has problem as now multiple cell companies that phone I used does the same thing as mine does. No matter what time of day you call. They refuse to look into the matter. This happens on the number on back of card 1-877-937-4098 and it also happens when I try to call Greendot's # 1-866-795-7597. Like I said I can call with a new cell and it goes through every time and asks me for my card info and then lets me speak with someone. But once again they refuse to try and look into the problem to fix it. They all just say it is my cell provider that has the problem not them.

Next I get 2 different government deposits. 1 for veterans pension and the second for SSDI (social security disability insurance). For years I have mostly got my deposit 4 days early like they say you will for government direct deposits (there has been a couple times I got it on the day of). Well I got an email from walmart money card that said my direct deposit is processing from the veterans' part of my money and it said it will be released on Friday July 31, 2020. I received this email on July 27, 2020. They say they release it and normally do when they receive the notification around 4 days earlier than when you suppose to get paid from the government. Well I still haven't received it in my account even though they already got the notification from the government.

When I called from another phone and got a hold of money card customer service they told me they don't see no pending deposit info and so I must of got email from the VA and not from them. It says walmart money card in the email sent from name. Money card customer service said well wait you will probably get it on 31st like it said. The 31st is the day that a regular bank would normally release it as the 1st is Saturday. So what happened to 4 days early for government direct deposits.

If for some reason I need to get ahold of customer service and I run out of different numbers to call from what happens if my card stops working or I got dispute or whatever. I won't be able to. Also they say I can chat with a representative on the walmart money card website or the app. The app does not give me an option at all and the website has a fact and question section and only allows me to select a question topic that is pre-wrote then it gives me answer or other selection topics to select. But it never gives me an option to chat with someone.

It does say if I have any further questions not answered under there facts and questions area to call the number on back of card (which that is initial problem, so the number refers you to app and website and website refers you to call number on back of card) and one of the pop up under the website question and facts sections refers me to go to the gobank website. Which won't let me do anything unless I have a gobank account and card (the walmart moneycard website refers you to the gobank site). So it just tells me to go back and forth but never actually lets me chat or talk to no one.

I can't even check my balance if I wanted to call number on back of card if for some reason I was in a area that data/internet was not available so app won't work. As it hangs up every time after saying there unable to assist me and to go to app or website, even if I press any number or symbol during that brief message before hanging up. It still hangs up and never gives me option to press any # for balance, dispute, and so on..

Let's see if walmart money card contacts me or will it just post that it tried to contact me with the number on file but was unable to so I need to call in. I know for a fact that my #, email, and address is all verified and work perfectly fine. And I would have to say that most of the other complaints on this sites info more than likely is correct and not wrong like they say. So I hope they contact me and finally fix my problems and maybe show me real customer service instead of the hang up and rude representatives that I've spoke with on different phones about my account.

Original review: July 9, 2020

I've had the Walmart Moneycard for over a year and was very happy with it until recently there was a large sum of money debited from my account. I filed a dispute. I gave them proof that it was unauthorized. They denied my claim, permanently closed my account. I called their phone number on the back of my card. I received an automated system stating that I was no longer eligible for their services. I tried to call and talk to someone but I only get as far as the automated system telling me that my account is closed and that I'm no longer eligible for their services. I've tried calling them, I can't get through, I've tried emailing, them, no response, I found them on Facebook and messaged them asking that someone would please call me, nobody did and I've written them and mailed it to them, I didn't get a response doing that either. I am the victim. They're treating me like a criminal.

Walmart MoneyCard Company Information