3.86/5
Based on 3,290 ratings submitted in the last year
Show rating distribution

Walmart MoneyCard

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Walmart MoneyCard is a reloadable, prepaid debit card that provides consumers with cash back rewards on purchases they make every day. Use it everywhere Debit MasterCard® or Visa® debit cards are accepted in the U.S. Rewards include 3% cash back at Walmart.com, 2% cash back at Murphy USA and Walmart fuel stations, and 1% cash back at Walmart stores. Earn up to $75 in cash back rewards per year.

Walmart MoneyCard offers free direct deposit and will allow you to send money for free to other Green Dot Bank issued cards. The new Walmart MoneyCard app is now available to track your money around the clock. Contact us today to learn more!

A+

BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 21, 2017

4505 Walmart MoneyCard Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Walmart MoneyCard froze and wont give me my money. So I'm very upset. Two weeks ago I noticed a lot of money missing from my account spent halfway across the country in California over a month's time. $1890 worth of transactions from 31 transactions. I called and filed fraud charges on the phone as I'm from Minnesota. They said they would put my remaining balance on a new card and after the investigation which I'd assume would last a week would then put the money stolen from me on the card as well. They finally sent me a new card and I can't activate the new card. I tried online and on the phone. Won't let me activate it. So I log in online and it shows my account is frozen with my remaining balance of what was in my account that was not spent or stole.

Now my huge problem which makes me irate Is I keep trying to call to figure out a solution but I can't get thru to an actual human because my card is frozen. So pretty much I have no way of contacting them with questions about MY money. This is the most frustrating thing ever. Thousands involved between the fraud and frozen money. And can't I activate my new card and have my money on it.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I called customer service to report my card lost. The rep told me that I could not do this over the phone that I had to go online. So I went online Saturday 10/7/17 to report my card lost and I also changed my mailing address due to a recent move. The next day I opened my Walmart app to check my balance to make sure if the amount I had left. I was unable to do so because it was blocked. My first call to customer service was that following day. I was told my card was blocked due to suspicious activity...

At this point I'm like, "What suspicious activity, I only called my card in lost and changed my address." However, they informed me that they could not tell me because it did not state the reason why. There is also a language barrier because I was speaking with a foreigner. I explained to the representative that I need my money for gas and food and I defended my money from my card. To no avail I was not given the support I needed and preceded to become angry. So mad that I cried because this is the only monies that I have. I'm a single, full time student. I then hang up the phone. I checked my email and they required identity verification and requested my driver's license. I attached my document but it required my card number. I entered my card number and many times it stated that it was an invalid card.

So I then call customer service back and explains to her that I cannot send the required information to that email address. She then gives me another address to send. I attached my driver's license and called back as instructed. Now, this representative told me that he could not find it. I told him I sent it and called back as instructed. He told me that it takes two business days to verify. I told him that I was not happy and I knew that they could verify it because the rep before me told me so.

I was then put on hold. When the representative returned, he told me that my verification failed and my card has been cancelled. At this point I'm very frustrated. I'm in a new city with no money. I called back I think that following Tuesday. Spoke with a representative and he told me that my card was mailed and I will have to call back to have them take the block off my card... I haven't received my card yet and anticipating more drama in the future. This is a complete disappointment to me because I have been with money card since 2013. I have had thousands of $ deposited from school, work and side jobs. And for this to happen at this critical time in my life, transitioning to a new city in Texas, school and now no money is a headache. And every number I've found online to speak to their hierarchy, I'm always rerouted to the customer service. I want this situation resolved like yesterday. As to I will soon be homeless...

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I really had high hopes for this card... and I'm hoping this is just a glitch BUT my husband's employer sent our direct deposit to our new card this morning from Bank of America, even paid a large fee for same day and NO MONEY!!! Customer Service can't even tell us if it's pending! My husband leaves to go in the road tomorrow and I'm left with no money for our bills and no answers! Has anyone else dealt with this? Part two. The direct deposit finally showed up: 1 cent? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? MY HUSBAND'S BOSS SENT 1200! FROM BANK OF AMERICA! I called customer service and now have to get a trace number to prove this. I am beyond disgusted.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

My card was blocked while they look at my account. They suppose to have sent another one (never got it). Cant get a hold of anyone but automated system. Need answers. My check will be deposited. No access.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

Can someone from Greendot contact me. Cannot get a hold of someone in customer service. I have a block on my card for no reason and can't seem to upload the docs to the website. This is sooo frustrating. They have $100 of my money and I can't speak to anyone... HELP!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Walmart MoneyCard?

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I made three online transfers. The first went through with no issue. I got an error message on the second transaction stating the transaction was declined. I know this shouldn't have happened and assumed I entered the wrong security code. I did the transaction again. The same thing happened. I checked my checking account and all three transactions had been debited. When I explained this to the CSR, I was first asked it was a QVC transaction that was declined. I again explained this was regarding an online transfer. Finally she understood it was not a debit transaction I was questioning and proceeded to tell me that the transaction had gone through. She was partially correct, one had gone through. I explained the situation several more times, each time explaining I had received a message stating each transaction had been declined.

I explained that the funds had been deducted from my checking account so it was odd that the transaction would show as declined. She kept repeating that the funds were not transferred onto card. I knew this. It was why I called. Finally she put me on hold to "check her resources". She came back and told me it takes 24 hours for a transfer to be credited. I asked why the first one went through and why every other time I have done multiple transactions, they all went through immediately. She merely kept repeating it takes 24 hours for a transfer to post. She attempted to tell me that the reason the first transaction was posted was because the account had updated overnight. Impossible as I had made the transfer than an hour prior. I told her I would wait the 24 hours but my concern was that the transactions are showing as declined, not pending.

At some point she finally understood I had gotten a message that the transactions were declined. She then proceeded to tell me that this was a technical problem and she would have to create a ticket for technical team to handle. I mentioned that I had been saying that I got a message that the transactions were declined since the first sentence I said to her. She said she was sorry. She didn't understand. I haven't had contact customer service often but each time has been a issue where a transaction took, I was charged for the transaction but the funds didn't make it to the account. Each time the situation could have been handle better and more quickly if the person could understand and speak English.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

It seems my card is not fully active and need help with this issue. I have tried contacting customer support via their phone # numerous times and days with no luck, can never access a live person. Not having access to a live agent is very concerning. I have also tried emailing for help via the website and receive a "We cannot process your request at this time". This has been a nightmare with the card and tired of not being treated like a person and tired of jumping through all the hoops trying to get help.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I misplaced my Walmart Money Card so I reported it lost but I accidentally gave them my new apartment office address instead of my address so I never received my new card. I found the old card and the phone system said I needed to go to Walmart money card documents and upload my license to prove identification which I tried but the site didn't recognize my old card. I have $280 on the card which I need. Please help me resolve this. I can prove identification. I just need to talk to a person. When I try on the phone system it ask for the last 4 digits of my new card which I never received and then boots me out.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Order new card. Get new one. When I try activate card online they say they have a block on it. To call #. I call and they say I have to go online. Can't talk to anyone. Online tell me I have to call. Online tell me to call.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

My MoneyCard was hacked and had to cancel the card. But I can't wait til the new one comes. I have bills and rent to pay. So I called my work and they said they need to wait to see if my account bounces back cancelled before they can help me with my money. I can't get a hold of anyone with the customer service number. I need to know what I can do about my money asap!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

After loading $ onto card registered it online and it said it couldn't identify my identity? What? I called them and finally spoke to some foreigner who I could barely understand. She says I can't get my money back, can't use it online or Bill Pay or ATM. Because they can't confirm my identity? I am a ** male and was born and raised in America!!! Unlike you!!! Never again... what a joke.

Hi David,

We'd like to have someone look into your account and discuss the concerns that you shared. We'll be in touch with you through the number provided to us by Consumer Affairs.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I received a Green Dot card I did not request and cannot get through to anyone to have it cancelled. The customer service line has no option to speak with anyone. This a fraud case and I need it stopped before it goes too far! The automated system keeps hanging up on me... I need HELP.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

Purchased a prepaid money card from Walmart. Made a purchase only to find out the next morning they blocked my card for fraudulent activity. Tried numerous times to contact customer service at both companies (Walmart and Green Dot). Submitted the requested photo ID to the link provided and the several attempts all came back non legible. I cannot get a hold of anyone to get this resolved, there is still money on my card that is needed! Please could someone get me some answers... It would be appreciated!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I had a debit card that was damaged on a Saturday night that I needed replaced as quickly as possible. I called your customer service line which assured me I would receive the card by the next Friday but I was so skeptical. My entire financial life is on this card from my paycheck to online bill pay so I paid the fee to expedite the card and worried from the moment I ordered a new one. I had read the horror stories of people waiting 20+ days to get their card, but most people only write a review to complain so all I was coming across was negative stuff. Fast forward to today here I am getting my card essentially 2 business days after I ordered it. I am shocked and so relieved. It got here safe and sound and this company has been nothing but wonderful in my experiences.

Hi Kristen,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us. We're so glad you are satisfied with the customer service you were provided. We value the opportunity to help people with their financial needs and do our best to offer alternatives to traditional banks. We hope that you continue to enjoy your Walmart MoneyCard and all of it's great features. Thank you so much for being a loyal customer.

GreenDot Corporate

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

My experience has been horrible. I was told my $500 would be put back on my card within 10 business days. I waited never received it. I called multiple times just to be transferred to everywhere but the right department. On top of everything I was on a wait for almost two hours each call. I asked to speak to someone from corporate. They say they're not able to connect a call to that particular department. Me knowing that's not true I told the representative that was not true and it continued on. I finally got to someone. They said they would have to file a dispute meaning waiting 10 business days so I waited. They denied it. On top of everything else they took 170.00 from me that I never received and that was in February. I thought keeping your money on your card was supposed to be safe yet I lost out on a total of 670 dollars but I'm not supposed to worry about it? This company I loved now sucks. Give me back my funds.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

My card and card number has been rejected by the store, the phone computer, and the internet account help site. I have receipts stating I have $50 on the card but the store will not give it back, or allow me to use the card. Green Dot does me the same way. I am in dire straits, and I need my money returned. PLEASE!!! All the mentioned computer help lines say the card does not exists, and then they hang up on me.

Hi Gordon,

Please accept our apologies for the delay in resolving your concerns. We’d like to have a customer relations specialist follow up with you to determine how we can help. We will contact you through the number that was provided to us by Consumer Affairs. We’ll be in touch shortly!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I lost my card & because I have the black card with the least fees I had to wait a week & I STILL can't use it because I'm waiting on my ID verification. I'm totally locked out of my acct. I can't get to my money, I can't pay my bills, buy groceries, NOTHING, because I wasn't even able to transfer my balance to another card while I waited for the new card, & now 2 MORE days to verify. I finally got it. This has been a horribly frustrating experience & I'm seriously considering just going back to a local bank.

Hi Stephanie,

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I have a Walmart MoneyCard which was misplaced and just found in September. When I looked at card and saw that it was ONLY valid through 07/17, I called the 877-937-4098 to get a replacement card since I knew that there was still money on card to be used. There was no support representative to speak to in order to get this account rectified. It just had a recording stating that account was closed. Since I am a frequent Walmart shopper I was looking to get a new card. Please assist. I am getting nowhere with this!!!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I got a Walmart MoneyCard and they said it would be mailed to me but after 3 weeks I never received it. They cancelled the card and said they would send me another one. I called and they said they would send me another one but it never made it. When I called back they said I needed to download my DL for proof and when I went to download I tried using the card number I had but it would not accept it. I have tried calling them many times but not able to speak to anyone. They have my 300.00 and I cannot find a way to get in touch with and they do not give me complete information on how to get my money back. They keep putting me off by telling me to go to Walmart MoneyCard/document download but it wants me to insert a card number but I do not have one because I never received the card and when I try to call I cannot talk to anyone. So now they have stolen my money and will not provide me a way to get it back.

Hi Angela,

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I've had an account for 2 years and without a reason or description my account was closed by an automated message and told I would not be allowed to open any other cards with them. My account has been in good standing the entire time and was blocked from even viewing my funds and calling customer service is a no go as once I enter my information since my account is closed, I can't even speak to a representative. No access or help to any money I have on my card.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

I've had this card for many years but God forbid if you have a fraudulent charge on your card because they do not come to your rescue. I was compromised twice with my cards in the last six years at both times were legit fraudulent charges and they never ever sided with me. So I have shredded my card. I will not give him my business. They don't deserve my business. I want a company that stands by your customer not standing in front and don't do anything. This is ridiculous money scheme. So if you want to lose your money and someone gets in your account and spends all your money you're screwed. Plain and simple because they're not going to help you one bit. Believe me don't do business with them.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I lost my card. Had a new one sent to me with FedEx. Called my card. Activated it. Sent in my Identification but still can't use my card and it's still blocked. And to top it off you can't even talk to a live person. I want my money off the card. I don't want the card anymore. It shouldn't take this long. I've had cards before. This is BS seriously.

Hi James,

We attempted to contact you regarding your concern. If you still require assistance, please call the number left on your voicemail. We are here to help.

Thanks,

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I went into a Walmart store and bought the card... I loaded $40 to the card as I tried to activate the card it told me my information wasn't verified and since I haven't been able to use the card. Upon numerous tries, I've came up with NOTHING. I don't understand how they can't verify my account but can take $5 the very next day for service fees when I've only had the card for a day. I'm so upset that Walmart has let me down once AGAIN.

Hi Robin,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We'd like to have someone look into your account and discuss the concerns that you’ve shared. We'll be in touch with you through the number provided to us by Consumer Affairs.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I received this card as a gift, and instantaneously assumed it was a gift card. Whenever I attempted to register the card, the MoneyCard website would crash or simply tell me to wait 24 hours. I decided to use the customer service number and register my card. However, when a random associate asked various verification questions, he recorded the WRONG answers and not the answers that I repeatedly told him. I am now unable to use my card internationally or online; I cannot reload the card or withdraw money; if the card is stolen or lost there is no way to redeem the money on the card. The only way I will be able to use this card is in person (and apparently I only have 2 days to use the card) due to one person's error. In addition, there seems to be no way for me to contact another associate or redo the survey test with a Customer Service representative who understands me.

Hi Kenya,

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

While I've always sent a direct deposit of a small amount to this card, Typically I received my deposits every other Tuesday around 12pm EST no later than 1PM, last pay my deposit got on by around 5am on a Wednesday. This pay I stupidly decided to send my whole paycheck and I don't see anything. I called and they said they don't hold the funds and they make them available as soon as they receive it. I think it's hogwash because how does the times keep changing and I work for USPS and not a private organization, and they submit their payroll in on time.

I've been looking at these horrendous reviews about accounts being compromised and frozen. Appears to be lack of communication and I just keep seeing the same generic responses from someone from the company with unanswered questions and insincere apologies that seem contrived. I have rent and bills to pay, I can't keep taking a risk with this card not being consistent. Since they joined up with Green Dot the service has been terrible. Someone from the FTC needs to investigate this because no one deserves to have their money unaccounted for without having logical explanations and customer service that goes beyond the extent to make their customers happy. But what do I know? I'm just a customer without his money.

Hi Z Daye,

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I've been a customer for 4 years and counting. I lost my wallet last Thursday so I asked for a hold on my cards. A stranger found it the next day and returned it to my previous address not only did y'all cancel my card and sent out a new one but because my address is different because I moved you ** put a block on my card and said that was suspicious activity. Not only do I have to wait seven days for the card but two to be verified as well. I have no money in hand. I'm a mother of two. I can't pay my rent because it's on that card so it will be late and I don't have any gas to get me through those days as well as diapers. I hate this company. I will be trashing the card and taking my direct deposit off. You guys are a nightmare.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I lost my card back in May and there were three transactions on my account that I didn’t authorize. At the time I called to dispute the transactions. Only 2/3 were posted. I called back to dispute the other transactions later on within a week. Both claims were denied because they were trying to say I added onto a dispute claim that was already in the process of being disputed which wasn’t true. I provided police reports and CCTV footage of the incident and they are still being denied and the transactions totaled up over $1000. If you want your money protected don’t go to this company.

Hi Demetrius,

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I love the card and use it everywhere. Never had a problem with it or the funds. I wish there was a way I could deposit a check from some of my customers that buy my cakes or some features where they can transfer money to my card account. Not a major deal breaker tho!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I love my Walmart MoneyCard!!! Always easy to load up when needed and never have any problems! I have had my card for over 2 years and it is amazing! I will continue using it and get another one once this one expires.

Hi Corina,

We're so happy to hear that you love your Walmart MoneyCard. Mission Accomplished! We do our best to offer alternatives to traditional banks by offering a variety of features and simple fees. We hope that you continue to enjoy your Walmart MoneyCard and all of it's great features. Thanks again for being a loyal customer.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I love the Walmart money card. I get paid 2 days earlier and even won 25$. I earn money back for spending at Walmart stores. The only thing I would change is getting money off card free of charge at certain ATM.

Walmart MoneyCard Company Information