3.5/5 (8071 ratings)

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

About Walmart MoneyCard

The Walmart MoneyCard is a prepaid banking card. The card includes a variety of features such as cash back rewards at Walmart.com, Walmart Fuel Stations and Walmart stores. The card has no fees at Walmart locations, and it has a mobile app that lets you track your purchases and deposit funds into your account.

Pros

• Cash back on Walmart purchases
  • 2% APY annually
  • Up to four free family accounts

Cons

• No fees only at Walmart locations
  • Numerous fees

Bottom Line

The Walmart MoneyCard is a good choice for frequent Walmart shoppers. The card has cash back rewards up to $75 each year. You can manage your funds and deposit cash on the go with the MoneyCard app.

Top Walmart MoneyCard Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Everything's working very well with my Walmart MoneyCard. I like that I can’t go over. … I can go to the store right now, and in five minutes, it’s already showed up on my transac...

Verified

I like my Walmart MoneyCard. It really is great. I love it. I like that I don’t have to have a bank account. I use their online app and I like that I can check my transactions and...

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

What is a Walmart MoneyCard?

The Walmart money card is a prepaid debit card offered through Walmart. Customers earn cash back rewards for using their Walmart MoneyCard at Walmart stores and fuel stations and online at Walmart.com. The cash back rewards can be accessed after 12 months of use as long as the card maintains a positive balance.

Other features of the Walmart MoneyCard include:

• No overdraft fees
  • 2% annual interest
  • Free cash reloads using the Walmart app
  • ASAP Direct Deposit
  • Free family accounts

To enroll in the Walmart MoneyCard program, visit the company’s website and fill out the application form. You must supply your name, address, phone number, Social Security number and preferred card type: Visa or Mastercard.

Walmart MoneyCard fees

The Walmart MoneyCard has several fees, including:

• Monthly fee: $5.94, but waived if $1,000 or more was loaded onto the card in the previous monthly period
  • ATM withdrawal: $2.50
  • Teller cash withdrawal: $2.50
  • Cash reload fee: $5.95, but free if cash is loaded using the app at a Walmart location
  • ATM balance inquiry: 50 cents
  • Activation fee: One-time $1 fee
  • International transactions: 3% of purchase
  • Paper checks: $5.95 for a pack of 12 paper checks
  • Card replacement fee: $3 for standard delivery and $15 for expedited delivery

Walmart MoneyCard FAQ

Does Walmart MoneyCard deposit early?
Yes, with the ASAP Direct Deposit feature, customers can access their payday funds two days early and benefits four days early.
How do I activate my Walmart MoneyCard?
To activate your Walmart MoneyCard, enroll in the program and follow the instructions provided for activating your card. There is a one-time $1 setup and activation fee.
Can I withdraw money from my Walmart MoneyCard?
Yes, but ATM and teller fees apply.
How do I check my balance on my Walmart MoneyCard?
Use the Walmart MoneyCard app to check your card’s balance, make mobile check deposits and monitor transactions.
Can I use my Walmart MoneyCard at a gas pump?
Yes. Plus, you earn 2% cash back if you use the card at a Walmart fuel station.

Is the Walmart MoneyCard good?

The Walmart MoneyCard is good for customers who frequently shop at Walmart stores and are looking for a simple way to manage money while earning rewards. The simple nature of the card and app helps customers load funds and monitor transactions wherever they are. However, it is best to keep an eye on the fees associated with ATM withdrawals and cash reloads.

Walmart MoneyCard Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Walmart MoneyCard?

Original review: May 18, 2022

My grandson purchased this by mistake. Could not get a refund at Walmart even though you can't use it unless 18. He is 17 but able to purchase it. Took forever for me to set up account and figure out how to get our money back. They instantly deducted 6 dollars for a monthly fee. Then took a while to close account. Don't be fooled as these are right beside the cash and gift cards. What a rip-off.

Original review: May 11, 2022

Okay on April 23rd I used an ATM from just a regular Shell station and it said error so I tried it again and it worked. And it gave me $200 but the 200 that came that was supposed to come out in the air actually came out of my account too so I filed a dispute 10 days later. 10 business days later should I say and still no resolution and I've been told, "Oh well it'll be here" then "It'll be. It'll go in this day. It'll go back on this day" and finally I got someone and I talked to and they were transferring me over to another person that would be able to help me with this. Find out what's going on and then I get to this.

This person finally picks up and ask for me all this information and then she says why I won't be getting one and I said, "Well why not" especially since the ATM people said that they showed that machine had 200 extra dollars in it and then I said, "I want to speak to the supervisor. I want to speak to someone that's in charge of this that can take care of this." They hung up on me. I've tried calling back. Getting someone and the same thing keeps happening. I keep getting hung up on there's. This is the worst customer service I have ever seen in my life and I am in customer service. I would say just go back to bank.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2022

Had this card for many years has been fine until I wanted to dispute one charge that was a membership that on their own charged my account, they went in blocked my account (didn’t ask them too) claiming account was compromised but said I could use card still till I received new one! One of the so called specialist told me this on first call, used the card next day declined, called another so called specialist. Told I was misinformed. New card will be there 3 business days, another lie, called another so called specialist. Said 7 to 10 days, another lie, called another so called specialist, actually got a date the 24th, another lie and all this time I’m getting declined transactions, late fees on bills etc and can’t access my money, have direct deposits coming in but can’t get any cash!!

New card to this date has not arrived, called another so called specialist and told this time could go to a bank, give account # and for a 2.00 fee can withdraw some cash from account, today is Sunday. Haven’t tried it yet but if true why wasn’t I told this at the very beginning? Right hand does not know what left hand is doing???? Everyone of the so called specialist has given a different answer or instructions, one told me "Oh you haven’t got the card, we will cancel the one in mail and mail you another." What ??? Hell no! Do you not understand the problem? I gone 3 weeks now unable to access my cash, let me repeat MY CASH! Only thing that goes through are things on automatic payment that have acct # and routing #. So card is okay until then and I repeat they claim it was compromised!!! I have never in my life had to deal with such A nightmare of incompetence and it just keeps growing and getting worse!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

I was on hold over 10 hours, first it was a 2 hour wait then a 250 min wait. I have been a Walmart money card customer for many years never have been so disappointed. I think they should cut out the computers and have a human, will create more job.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

Hhonestly it was great, Until today. My card had a restriction put on it. A card I've used for 8 months at least and all of a sudden my id needs verification. I have used this acct. as my direct deposit for the past 8 months. No freaking problems. Now the problem lies with why the hell after 8 months is Walmart just now asking for me to verify. Secondly all my money is on this card and to verify they want my id, fantastic except my drivers license has been suspended and in order to get a new one it cost money, money that I now don't have access to and the only way to get access to it is to verify an id that I don't have and now don't have the money to get. I'm livid my entire paycheck is being held ransom by this company and I was told to basically to go ** myself and live on the streets.

Thank you walmart for making 2022 a real piece of flying crap. I hope you use my money, you're holding to pay for my funeral because you're holding all of my MONEY ransom and now I'm unable to live or pay bills!!!! I know what you are thinking. Borrow money. Get the id, verification and close the acct. and you are right but it's a Friday.

I work until 5 so that means it'll be Monday the earliest before I can procure a new id and then I have to upload it and wait 2 more business days before this joke of a company will verify something they should have done 8 months ago when I got the gd card so 5 DAYS I go without money to my name and my electric off in the middle of a blizzard just so you and your company can say you've verified a person whose acct. has been open for 8 MONTHS!!!! And your customer service was no help except when they encouraged me to jump into incoming traffic.... 100000000% Do not recommend these jerks with your money or your mental health because apparently once they have your money you can kill yourself. 1/7/22.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2021

After I purchased I was told I could not use my card to pay bills but could purchase items in Walmart store online and in person... Customer service India/Chinese very unhelpful and hard to understand... Even Walmart Corporate was second language personnel... No help from Walmart or Customer Service at all for my request to get my money back... Have not resolved my complaint as of this date... Please check your options well before using Walmart Money Card!! You will live to regret using them eventually.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

November 4, 2021, I received an alert my card had a purchase in California. I live in Kentucky. I immediately blocked my card and called customer service. The recording said I would be on hold for 163 minutes, after 5 minutes the recording stated I’ll be on hold for 216 minutes and it kept going up. After about 8 days of calling customer service, I went to the app chat line. After 3 more days, I finally received a call and was told to dispute the charge. After disputing the charge Walmart shut my app completely down. I called and was told by the automated line to upload my i.d. Still haven’t heard anything. It is Christmas and my child support goes on this card and I cannot access my money or my account. My phone stays in my hand, no one has called or emailed currently. I’m looking for a new prepaid company to have my child support deposited. Walmart MoneyCard is a fraud.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2021

Have had funds on hold for several days because Walmart MoneyCard and Green Dot Bank failed to post a pending transaction. I have spoken with numerous Customer Service Specialists (hours and hours on the phone more than a dozen times over several days) and most of them clearly did not know what they were doing... nor did they care to try and figure it out. The few who did understand the situation agree that the Company created the problem... but no one is able to fix it.

First I was asked to wait 48 hours for the system to correct itself. I did and it did not. Now they want me to wait another week, not because they're going to do anything proactive to fix their issue, but because they're hoping (again) that "the 'system' corrects itself". We all understand that errors happen and that is forgiveable, but when the company acknowledges the error and then refuses to act to correct it, it moves from being an error to being willful fiduciary misconduct.

Bottom line: Do Not Trust These People With Your Money.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2021

Taken advantage of....Scammers!!!! They won't refund unauthorized charges ...FDIC's backed, yeah right. Just some foreign person that's hard to understand not giving 2 ** about your problem and reading all the rebuttals from a sheet to you!!! Stay away. Beware!!!!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2021

30 days and money has not been returned.. Green Dot Bank which owes Walmart MoneyCard has been giving us the run around about our direct deposit account.. Hacked proved no I.D. and withdrew all my money... Changing my phone # and e-mail address and no events were sent to me when these changes were made.

Walmart MoneyCard Company Information