2. Finance
  3. Prepaid Cards

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.30/5

The Walmart MoneyCard is a prepaid banking card. The card includes a variety of features such as cash back rewards at Walmart.com, Walmart Fuel Stations and Walmart stores. The card has no fees at Walmart locations, and it has a mobile app that lets you track your purchases and deposit funds into your account.

BOTTOM LINE

The Walmart MoneyCard is a good choice for frequent Walmart shoppers. The card has cash back rewards up to $75 each year. You can manage your funds and deposit cash on the go with the MoneyCard app.

PROS

• Cash back on Walmart purchases
  • 2% APY annually
  • Up to four free family accounts

CONS

• No fees only at Walmart locations
  • Numerous fees

Top Walmart MoneyCard Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Walmart MoneyCard?

Everything's working very well with my Walmart MoneyCard. I like that I can’t go over. … I can go to the store right now, and in five minutes, it’s already showed up on my transactions. ... I also use the direct deposit and sometimes I actually am paid before my co-workers. We’re a happy customer.

I like my Walmart MoneyCard. It really is great. I love it. I like that I don’t have to have a bank account. I use their online app and I like that I can check my transactions and that the transactions show up right away. I’ve been very satisfied.

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

What is a Walmart MoneyCard?

The Walmart money card is a prepaid debit card offered through Walmart. Customers earn cash back rewards for using their Walmart MoneyCard at Walmart stores and fuel stations and online at Walmart.com. The cash back rewards can be accessed after 12 months of use as long as the card maintains a positive balance.

Other features of the Walmart MoneyCard include:

• No overdraft fees
    • 2% annual interest
    • Free cash reloads using the Walmart app
    • ASAP Direct Deposit
    • Free family accounts

To enroll in the Walmart MoneyCard program, visit the company’s website and fill out the application form. You must supply your name, address, phone number, Social Security number and preferred card type: Visa or Mastercard.

Walmart MoneyCard fees

The Walmart MoneyCard has several fees, including:

• Monthly fee: $5.94, but waived if $1,000 or more was loaded onto the card in the previous monthly period
    • ATM withdrawal: $2.50
    • Teller cash withdrawal: $2.50
    • Cash reload fee: $5.95, but free if cash is loaded using the app at a Walmart location
    • ATM balance inquiry: 50 cents
    • Activation fee: One-time $1 fee
    • International transactions: 3% of purchase
    • Paper checks: $5.95 for a pack of 12 paper checks
    • Card replacement fee: $3 for standard delivery and $15 for expedited delivery

Walmart MoneyCard FAQ

Does Walmart MoneyCard deposit early?
    Yes, with the ASAP Direct Deposit feature, customers can access their payday funds two days early and benefits four days early.
    How do I activate my Walmart MoneyCard?
    To activate your Walmart MoneyCard, enroll in the program and follow the instructions provided for activating your card. There is a one-time $1 setup and activation fee.
    Can I withdraw money from my Walmart MoneyCard?
    Yes, but ATM and teller fees apply.
    How do I check my balance on my Walmart MoneyCard?
    Use the Walmart MoneyCard app to check your card’s balance, make mobile check deposits and monitor transactions.
    Can I use my Walmart MoneyCard at a gas pump?
    Yes. Plus, you earn 2% cash back if you use the card at a Walmart fuel station.

Is the Walmart MoneyCard good?

The Walmart MoneyCard is good for customers who frequently shop at Walmart stores and are looking for a simple way to manage money while earning rewards. The simple nature of the card and app helps customers load funds and monitor transactions wherever they are. However, it is best to keep an eye on the fees associated with ATM withdrawals and cash reloads.

Walmart MoneyCard Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Walmart MoneyCard?

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

This card gets an A+ in my book. Not only are you managing your wallet but you can add up to 4 family members on as well. The card also pays 2 percent cashback. It's great to show your kids how to spend and save. You can track what and how your family is spending. The Walmart Money Card also has an app for ages 13 and up. It teaches responsibility for your teens to learn now so they know how to be responsible as adults. All around you can't go wrong with this card and it's reloadable. I recommend this card for the whole family.

Original review: March 31, 2020

Everything's working very well with my Walmart MoneyCard. I like that I can’t go over. The only money available to me is the money that I put on there. I like it’s not a national bank. The only thing I don’t like is there are certain places that don’t accept it online now that everything is closed. Like Chipotle, number one. I used to order from them online all the time, and now they won’t take all prepaid cards, which I think is dumb because it’s prepaid. They used to take it before all this. Now all of a sudden it won’t do my transactions. And I called them and they said, “No, there’s no problem.” I just can’t get it. But I use the app and I like just how quick everything is. I can go to the store right now, and in five minutes, it’s already showed up on my transactions. It’s already in there. I also use the direct deposit and sometimes I actually am paid before my co-workers. We’re a happy customer.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 15, 2020

I always have cashed in my checks in Walmart, and then I saw the Walmart MoneyCard one day and I asked the lady about it. She was like, I could even have my checks deposited on it. So, I grabbed it and got it. I’ve been able to manage just fine with it. It’s been good to me. The only thing I don’t like about it is I can’t pull money off of it. I can, but even when I go to Walmart, I could only pull a $100 at a time off of it or they charge me the $3 fee every time. I thought when the lady told me as long as it’s direct deposit or I got the card, any time I put money on it, it doesn’t charge me. My direct deposit doesn’t charge me, but if I go in and try to load money on to it, they charge a $3 fee. And that’s another thing. I could only do it at Walmart. I can’t do it at any ATM.

But the benefit is I could use it anywhere. I don’t have to carry cash with me. My direct deposit is good too. I’ve never had a problem with it. However, the reload is just finding a person at Walmart that knows how to do it. You’re supposed to be able to go to any register and be able to load it, but most people don’t know how to do it. So, I end up having to go to customer service to do it. My lady has this card too and at first, I always go to Walmart to wire her money. But with Walmart MoneyCard, it’s just easy transaction over the phone, internet access, use the app to go on there and pull her name up, send her money. She goes on her phone and receives it. She just puts in her card number and it’s that simple.

Original review: March 11, 2020

I've had my prepaid card for a year and three months now. I started in December, the year before. I like that this card doesn't cost me anything to have it because I have my social security direct deposited there. It’s been very economical and very good. I pay most of my bills with it. So far, I’ve had no problems with my Walmart card compared with Visa where I have a lot. They were always changing their rules, regulations, and different things. I go to the bank to get money and I couldn’t get any because they made a change in the procedure. Now I have to do this or I have to do that. That was why I went over to the Walmart card. Another thing is Visa charges all the time for using the card. I don’t get charged for using my Walmart card. As a matter of fact, you can save a lot of money with it. I’m very happy with it.

Original review: March 9, 2020

I have my traditional bank account and I added the Walmart card. I'm a single mom and having money on that card two days early helps me if I need to pick up stuff before payday. I like that and that is probably the best feature. That's the reason I got the card to begin with. I've had it for three years now and it's just been fine. I use their app and I like that I can use the slider at the bottom of the page to quickly check my account balance instead of having to log in. The only thing is I know a lot of businesses and they've moved to the chip. Walmart MoneyCard does not have the chip on it. This doesn't bother me though.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

I have one card with Walmart. I use the app. I put in to change my phone number and address as I moved. I did this. After that everything with my card with messed up. They say I have two account, I don't and can't get cust service to fix it. I have been trying for over 4 months. Call in, I get someone who can't speak English well enough to help except "I'm so sorry."

Original review: Feb. 6, 2021

The 4th of February 2021 I started getting alerts from my Walmart money card app saying that Tik tok was taking $10 in increments from my account for ads that I never ordered. So I immediately called my money card Walmart money card and they said I had to wait for them to post to dispute the charges which wiped out my card in under 10 minutes which you know I had over $200 on, everything just posted tonight so I will call Walmart and dispute the charges.

And this part really concerns me. When I called the automated system that I had two cards for the Walmart money app I only have one in my name so they apparently let somebody else pick out a card in my name that apparently of course was not me. The charges from tik tok are from San Francisco California. I live in Pendleton Oregon and also I found out too that they will sell your information so I got on their app and they do not sell my information. So I would like to know how good if their security is that they would issue another card to someone that clearly is not me. This app Walmart money card is not worth it and I will be going through a bank from now on. Not some prepaid card cuz they do not take care of their customers and they sell your information. Thank you for the platform. Beulah **

Original review: Feb. 5, 2021

I purchased shoes from Footlocker on a Friday and returned the shoes the next day. They didn’t have a larger size. I spent $518. They didn’t have any cash on hand. The associate asked if I had a card to put the money on? So I did. I swiped my Walmart MoneyCard. Ok I’m thinking two days max I’ll have my money. Boyyyyyy was I wrong?!! Later that evening I went to dinner with friends and when it was time to pay it kept declining! I was baffled???? I knew I had like $570 in my account.

Long story short they blocked my card. After waiting on hold after being hung up on for over an hour. They have me to email them the receipt. They told me to give it two business days. Mind you this was on a Saturday. I sent everything immediately. Then on Monday it was still blocked. I call again just to be told to send in my ID front and back and give it another two days and at that time it should automatically be unlocked. I don’t like the games being played with me. I'm still waiting as we speak for my funds to be released. Never again.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2021

DO NOT SIGN UP!! I had this account for several years and last week my account was closed without my knowledge due to suspicious activity with a few hundreds of dollars left in it. When I questioned customer care they gave me the run around and then told me they would cut me a check but later said I need to contact my employer who deposited money into my account. My employer informed me that this sounds suspicious and to report the money card customer care line as giving me fraudulent information as a resolution because they wanted me to ask my employer to request the funds back and told me to mail a letter with all my bank account information on it.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2021

Soooo, Whose prosecuting big time companies stealing from the poor and needy?? ...BBB, FBI, HPD-WHOOO!!! $790 down the drain and I live paycheck to paycheck. Someone is seeing these poor people robbed blind!

Walmart MoneyCard Company Information