1.11/5
Based on 79 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Direct Express

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 17, 2018

116 Direct Express Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

What a nightmare! I understand they have to be careful in this situation BUT how do they expect me to fill out the paperwork accurately and get it back in 10 business days when the paper statement they sent me has mistakes on it? And for one of them to say to me “allegedly” to me I think is unacceptable to say the least. They should call it “go broke trying to prove you’re not a thief”. My card info was hacked and that’s scary BUT dealing with them is worse. I called them on the 2nd but they put the start date as the 6th. Nobody can tell me how that happened. I’m now waiting their decision. I’m curious to know HAS ANYONE been able to beat the two days and get ALL of their money back? I know I’m too late but I wish everyone good luck!!!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I'm still waiting to get my money since September 4th of 2017. I save my money for two months to get a place to live to only have it all took from me but Direct Express said they were giving it back to me cause they see what happen.. well it's been months and I still haven't seen anything. It done put me on the streets, borrowing money thinking I'll be able to pay back... Do anyone ever get their money back or have any good experience from this company? I mean how what do I need to do to resolve all this? I mean I talk to a lawyer by all this he telling me he goes to talk to the news get the news involved... Is this the only way to be heard?

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

On 12/30/2017 My husband tried to use the ATM. He noticed that there was no money coming out. He thought it was something he was doing wrong. He was slightly inebriated (lol)! He tried a few more times and then he got mad at the owners of the store he was in. The police were called and they told him to show them what the problem was because he was excited. Then he tried to get the money out again and the officers gave him a sheet of paper with the owner of the ATM's number on it and their badge numbers. I filed a dispute with Direct Express and received a provisional credit. When my husband got his benefits on the 1st, His check was 180.00 short!

They took the provisional credit back! The owner of the ATM sent them paperwork that said that the ATM was in working order and everything added up! THIS IS A LIE because the officers themselves saw that there was no money coming out! I called Direct Express and they told him to find new information and they would reopen the case about the money. The owner of the atm told me that the case was closed even if I got the officers to call him. I am going to also get a notarized letter and the next one is a class action lawsuit that is going to include everyone that has been put in a bad situation because of Direct Express! It's not fair and someone has to pay!!! Anybody interested in class action suit please contact me at **! I will sue for damages and the right to ask that the government uses another provider other than this one! The customer service sucks and somebody is stealing!!!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

This is the third time in just over a year that my account has been hacked. The last time was one month ago. This time all my money was withdrawn from 3101 West Tennessee ATM. And all on the same day as my deposit. I am in Florida!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

Well everyone, for one it is unfortunate that we all have these negative experiences with Direct Express and even more unfortunate that we all can't come together and share our bad experiences and form a group to protest to Washington. My experience is written a few times here and it discusses the sly way my account was compromised. I was lucky to the fact that I reacted quickly to save my money. If I hadn't by now I would've been on the streets. My apartment complex has no grace period and more than that has no compassion. So since the person that was able to compromise my account has nothing but a cancelled credit card had help from the inside. Yes, I'm saying Direct Express. From what I have gathered speaking with them for approx. 4 hrs. throughout the week, this is the only answer.

Quick recap, my account was placed on temporary restriction because a phone number not associated with mine phoned in and tried to obtain my balance. On 1/23/18 I phoned in at 10 a.m. to make certain my account was o.k. At 10p.m. I went to ATM to draw my money out and my card was reported lost. A new card was ordered in my name to be delivered to me on 1/25/18. I had no idea that he had opened a UPS My Choice account in my name on 1/17/18. I obtained tracking for the card on 1/24/18, called UPS and said scheduled for delivery 1/25/18 by day end. Logged on to UPS. on 1/25 and said to be delivered by day end. It was delivered at 6:33p.m. east coast time and I am west coast. Wasn't at my door. I looked further to the tracking and read that my card was rerouted to Florida on the 24th. I called Direct Express and immediately shut card down before they activated it.

How did I come to the conclusion that it's an inside job? 1st off he called in to obtain balance, 2nd he called in and shut account off on 1/23 at 5:33p.m. and ordered a new card. 3rd he had to call in to obtain tracking number in order to reroute the card and fourth he had to call in to attempt to activate it. Yes, he called on 1/17 and 1/23 but not on 1/24 to obtain tracking number and yes he called in to try and activate it. Someone inside was able to give him the tracking number. 2nd when a card is sent to you, wouldn't you assume that there are restrictions that the card is not to be rerouted except the shipper? No, he knew that my card had no restrictions attached to it. He knew this on the 17th when he opened the UPS account in my name.

The very last thing that tops the cake is that I am disabled. I had a very expensive heart operation without insurance and my credit is crap! I stay in my home and don't go anywhere. My social security number is compromised. I haven't applied for anything in years. Only 1 entity has my Direct Express card number and my social security number along with my address, phone number, etc. I emailed my senator for help because the U.S. Treasury Dept. of Fiscal Services controls Direct Express but doesn't investigate them.

BTW Senator Masto did nothing! I tried every entity of the government that I could to have the government investigate. No such entity from what I found. 60 million a month goes through Direct Express without being monitored, don’t you think that it's strange that you can enter your S.S. into a phone to obtain your balance? Is their phone system hacked? Are they doing anything about from what they say is the most elaborate scam ever?

I did the legwork, I called the police in Florida and filed a report. I called UPS and filed a report, I called FTC and identity theft and filed a report. I have 10% of my heart and have thoroughly exhausted myself trying to get to the bottom of this. The only thing that I was able to accomplish is for them to believe me that I wasn't the one that lost my card and did this and second my account is on high alert and for any changes to take place they have to go to the social security office. Woopee! When I spoke of this internal leak or mole of theirs, they changed the subject. The only thing that I can see that is important is that Air Force one gets 24 million dollars’ worth of 2 refrigerators installed and not replacing the money that many people have lost due to the negligence of Direct Express.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Express?

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

It is a debit card, so you can use it to purchase items, however, if you wish to access the funds such as to pay bills, they charge you $1.50 to transfer the funds to your checking account. Takes about a week. So now the benefits are done, I have carefully removed the funds, leaving the $1.50, and I want to close the account. FAQ says to call their customer service #. Yet the menu selections do not let you access this service, nor does it clearly get you to someone. And they hang up on you if you try more than 3 menu items. I have been hung up on 3 times. Each time I had to enter the card number just to be kicked out. The last time I got kicked out because of heavy call volume. Not worth any more of my time. Do Direct Deposit if you can.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

Majority of time when I call the line is so busy I am kicked off. When I do get through, when I am transferred, the line is dropped. It is impossible to get through to someone, I have been trying for 2 months. When I finally reached someone today, I asked about emailed statements, because we need it for emergency services, I was told by a supervisor they do not email statements, only standard mail, and that I should make an online account with Direct Express, however the online site only gives the last 4 months statements, so you have no access to statements before that, period! When I complained that we should have access to OUR OWN STATEMENTS, I was told there was nothing they could do. This service is TRASH. I don't understand how a service offered by Social Security, can be so bad.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I had a few issues with so I had to call Direct Express, I didn't have an issue getting anyone on the phone. The few time I called that day, but honestly, most of the people who did answer were about as helpful as a blanket in the desert sun, hence the MULTIPLE phone calls to resolve 1 issue! Completely short, rude and all around indignant. They acted like it was a bother to them to answer my questions and explain things to me about my own money! As if they weren't getting paid to do just that! They almost act as if they think they're better than you. The one woman pretty much told me if I didn't like their policies that I should just get a "real" bank like most people.

I hung up on her after that remark. I did end up calling back and was lucky enough to speak to a young man who was very helpful and explained things to me clearly and kindly. Of course he was the exception and in no way reflects the way the larger portion of this company's employees and practices really are. It's quite sad that the Federal Government would entrust so very much money to a company who's done so very little to earn anyone's trust... whom in fact, has quite apparently given a lot of people reason to feel suspicious toward them and their shady "policies". Just Sad.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Worst company ever. Right after my daughter's SSI money was deposited on her card this month, it was stolen by someone in San Francisco (we live in Los Angeles). I filed a dispute and was told it can take up to 90 days for her to get her money back! No bank or credit card company that I've ever dealt with has ever taken that long! What's sad is that this is people's sole income and they are disabled so who can wait that long to pay rent or bills? How do they expect people to go that long without money? I immediately got direct deposit for her but, I'm just very sad that Social Security entrusted this company with their funds knowing their crooked, unethical practices.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

My mother has a card with Direct Express. On January 3, 2018 her SSD payment was deposited to her card but she was unable to withdraw money at an ATM nor was she able to use it for POS transactions. When she called Direct Express she was told that there was a fraud suspension on her account but also stated that she could access her money at a Walmart money center or she could use it as a credit transaction. Today she tried to pay her copay at the doctor's office but the card declined. She called them again and was told that her account was compromised and that they were issuing her a new card. When she asked the rep when the fraud took place the rep became indignant and belligerent and refused to provide my mom with the info. Then the rep insisted that my mom take her off speakerphone. My mom asked to speak to a supervisor and the rep hung up.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

The Direct Express card keeps saying invalid pin. I've had this card for two years now so I know my pin and never had a problem. Ever since the money was deposited on the card I haven't been able to withdraw it. Nobody answers all of the numbers I've found to get through. All I was hoping for was a human being to speak with to reset the pin or whatever to get the money. This crap has put us in a bad predicament where I had to take a loan just to pay the rent. My job pays for my car and other bills (which I don't make much being a single mom.)

It's really messed up how they allowed this and don't even call, email, or help anyone. I've learned my lesson and will have an account instead of using this piece of crap card. You've made my life harder with this glitch, lockdown, or whatever is going on. Let people know and fix this situation! Does anybody have any phone numbers, email addresses, any info about correcting this so I can get my money? Does anyone know any magic to get a hold of a person from Direct Express?

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

I had to pay a company called Ciliv. Settlement charge 300.00. Paid off 3 month. Found out the company had no business taking. Contact Direct Express to get refund. No luck. What a crock of bull. Gave all information to them then I request the information back. They said they could not help. No the other trying to get for criminal intent. I pulled my account. Went back to the back. Stay away from them. If I could I give them a F for failure.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Employees at Direct Express posted my disability benefits early to a place in Indiana where I do not live while I was in a nursing home recovering from three strokes I had. And thieves were at the EXACT place at the EXACT time and stole all of my benefits for the entire month. This means someone at Direct Express is stealing from disabled people.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Do not ever get one of these cards. You can not get a person on the phone. You can call them all day and night and they will not pick up. They hang up on you. Mine is suspended due to fraud and can't report it.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

If there was a negative star rating, I would give this company a -100! Hudhomesusa.com and Direct Express has debited my account for 49.90 a month without my authorization from 12-2016 to 9-2017. When I contacted Direct Express about this and filed a complaint, they were rude and found in favor on their own behalf. I did NOT approve anyone to take money from my measly disability payment. I am blind and had no way to see what they were doing for at least 6 months only because I happen to check my account on the day it was deposited and heard this charge for the first time. This is a bogus setup to rip disabled people off. I wish someone would investigate these rude ripoff scam artists!!! We are helpless against this ripoff corporation.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

My experience has been HORRIBLE!!! First it took me 3 days to talk to a human to report the fraudulent charges on my card. Would push 3 to transfer and phone would go dead over and over again! Then was told to call back in couple of days to get SR#? WTH?! Fraud happened 12/1&2. It's now 12/7 and I finally have an SR# and cancel card, have new one issued. I finally received forms and new card on 12/16, last Saturday, 9 days later!!! I called them again and asked them how they expected me to get them BACK to them by 12/21... 10 business days, no clue!

So I overnight expressed them, at a cost of $27, so they would get them by Tuesday. It's now 12/22 and I STILL don't have my "provisional credit"!!! I made the police report on Monday and called that info in to them as well. Police said my card was "cloned" and used in CO and UT and they were reviewing the video footage of the store purchases. That should be proof enough that these charges were FRAUDULENT! BUT they "claim" they STILL have NOT "received" the stinking FORMS! LIARS!

All the times I called and actually spoke to a human they were RUDE! I had to keep being transferred to a supervisor to get anywhere. It took a supervisor to take the police report info because the guy on Level 2 insisted that info could NOT be added. How sick is that? I have now called my congressman, and both senators for my state. My congressman's office is contacting the Treasury Dept to see if they can do anything for me. The person I spoke with said he has a contact there so we'll see. I'm a fighter and will NOT take this lying down! The government needs to do away with Direct Express and PRONTO!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

It's scary to think that our government-issued money is being handled by a bunch of hamsters. Direct Express is the MOST PATHETIC card system, website and app I have EVER encountered. Customer service DOES NOT EXIST. The website is ALWAYS DOWN...and they blame the user... BS. How am I supposed to pay MY BILLS ON TIME. I can't even log on with ALL the CORRECT information, plus most places won't even accept this card. I know why... It's a joke!!! I am disabled, I don't have transportation, now I have to WALK in freezing temps, ice and snow to find an ATM to HOPEFULLY DRAW out enough cash to pay my bills. PEOPLE... THIS HAS GOT TO CHANGE!!! I am writing some officials, maybe Trump will get something done about this life threatening situation.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I have had a Direct Express Card since 2011, and my husband now has one also. I have had to have a card replaced and inquire about fraudulent activity. I have had one case of fraud, which I was able to get the vendor to remove. I used to work in credit card fraud and risk and this is easier. I have two complaints. One is that I was a representative payee for two foster children for a while and all funds were put on my card. Personal and payee funds are not supposed to intermingle.

Even though I am no longer payee their names still show up. The second issue is that I have had several new chip cards issued and the activation instructions are confusing. Twice my old card has been deactivated without my knowledge causing auto payments to fail as the number changes each time. I thought I had to activate and existing funds would not transfer but they did. I couldn't risk going a month without access to the funds. I did get through to customer service and they were polite and helpful, I have called half a dozen times with issues. When my card was lost I had a replacement in 3 days.

I think that the web interface needs improvement but Direct Express is managed by Chase. Having worked in their IT for several years, it's the usual quality of product. 85 percent of our employees were on H-1B visas and user friendly interface seem to be beyond their skill set. It does concern me that my income is under the control of employees from countries hostile to us but that's true of most USA computer systems nowadays.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

On November 6, 2017 I called Direct Express and disputed two charges that I did not authorize on my card that were made by a business I did not know nor did I have an account with. On November 6, 2017 I made a verbal dispute with Direct express. They told me they would be sending me papers to fill out and send back to them. I received those papers and the same day I received them I filled them out and mailed them back to direct express in the provided envelope. 10 days later I STILL had NOT received the provisional credit I am entitled to under the EFTA Act.

I called direct express and they had told me they needed to receive my paperwork on 11/20/17 to receive the credit and they didn’t receive it until 11/21/17. First of all, I know they received it on time and they just didn’t put it in the system because I mailed that paperwork out the SAME DAY I received it. So even if they didn’t get it on time, that is not my fault because I didn’t receive the paperwork from THEM in time.

I was also told, when I called to ask why I hadn’t received the provisional credit yet, that I could have mailed the paperwork in writing myself without receiving their paperwork first. WHY WAS I NOT TOLD I COULD DO THIS ON NOVEMBER 6th WHEN I INITIALLY MADE MY DISPUTE??!! Their employees failed to tell me this and they have no proof they told me this. I have bills I cannot pay because of this. I have read in multiple reviews and from attorneys that direct express has been sued for this same issue. I just want the provisional credit that I am entitled to before I have to get my lawyer involved because then I will be asking for much more than $405.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

The man was very rude. He kept interrupting me when I was talking. I can imagine how the unfortunate people who are on welfare are being treated. My call was for my retirement which I deserve and my money. I hope I never have to call them again. They need customer service training. They won't have a job if it were not for us.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

Never had been treated so horribly in my life. Disputed charge and all day was told being transferred to dispute, fraud etc... got nothing but put back in the loop ALL day. Finally shut off card. 5 to 10 days my butt and when you call like they tell you to do you are reprimanded. The first thing I am going to do when (IF) I get the card I am getting a prepaid visa. How am I going to pay my rent? Just because disability assigns this to you does not mean you need this. Get rid of this. They will never help you! I gave 1 star because I couldn't give no star.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I had a fraudulent debit on my card and I have yet to have the funds returned to me. They hang up on you when contacting claiming. The lines are busy no matter what time of day you call. Their call center tree is designed not to answer. I intend to sue if that is what it takes for resolution.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I give this company zero stars but that's not an option. This company will steal your money. I'm a disabled army veteran who has my disability check go on to the Direct Express card. I went to the ATM November 1st after my check was deposited and tried to withdraw money for my bills. There was an error and the withdraw didn't go through. The company who operates the ATM said the transaction was not completed and clearly shows I did not receive any money. Direct Express took the money out of my account anyway.

I tried all day to get ahold of someone and finally did. I was told it was a valid transaction and I could dispute it but it could take 45-90 days after I fill out the paperwork they send me. They said the government is very picky about their money. As if I'm not! They never sent me the paperwork. After I didn't receive the paperwork 5 days later they said it could take 3-5 business days... It's now the 11th and I have yet to get papers to even file a dispute. I have 5 kids to care for on a fixed income and it's impossible when I can't even get my money. When I ask for a supervisor I am sent to a line that a recording says they are experiencing higher than normal call volume, please call later and then it hangs up on me. If the government is so picky about their money then they should know that Direct Express is stealing government pay from disabled veterans. I would recommend that every find another bank/card. Do not use these people for your pay.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

If you ever need to dispute a transaction, you can just forget it!! This company is the worst when disputing charges to your card! They don't have a way to do it online or by fax. You call and get transferred to people who can't help you. Then when they finally transfer you to the fraud department, you get a voice recording that call volume is high and to please call back! Social Security need to find a new company to do business with, because this place is a joke. Do yourself a favor and close your account with Direct Express. You're better off with NetSpend or a major bank!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Had someone change my pin transfer money. Had to file claim. Was promised money back on acct. Still over a month later no money. Filled out all paperwork. Made a police report and still cannot get through. I will never use this company and it is illegal to carry MasterCard logo without complying with their rules.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

Mind you social security refers us to this company so I thought there was nothing to worry about. I never did any checking up on this company because I thought it was safe. My son had his spending money stolen by a company in South Africa a few day ago. SUPERBALIST.COM A DIV, WCP. I wanted to check it out to see what it was and it was a clothing company based in South Africa. I can't even call them to dispute the charges. Which I mean you know you can't call Direct Express because they will only transfer you and disconnect that's if you even get through. We had been calling for 3 days and finally go through today and then we were transferred and hung up on several times.

I feel so bad for others because after I did do research and found out that this has been happening to others for so long and even more instances up it within the last few days I feel a little guilty about complaining about 52 dollars. However, it is because it happened to my son that I am extremely angry about it. I wish so badly I had opened him a regular bank account. I feel so bad that I didn't do research prior to this happening. And for them not to let me speak on his behalf is even worse. Why?! Why can't I speak up for my son?! He's my child! He doesn't even buy anything international. I am just so upset for him and the other people I've read about. Some people can't even pay their rent this month because of this company. How many more complaints before this company is done away with??

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

My card was billed by mistake from my storage facility and they canceled the payment. It's been three full days and Direct Express has not returned the money to my account. I have tried to contact them for the last two days from the hours of 5am till 8pm and I can never get anyone to answer the phone. It puts me on hold for over a hour, gives a message saying they are busy and to call back or it just completely hangs up on me altogether. I have contacted the BBB. Something needs to be done about this.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I got this card in Jan of 2017 from the state of NJ. NOT ONE TIME IN THE LAST 11 months has ANYONE EVER picked up the phone. You go thru a million prompts and then a recording says they’re busy helping others, call back AND THEN IT HANGS UP. I’ve been calling for 11 months. REALLY? This is total ** and discrimination. I plan on getting a lawyer. The state of NJ should be ashamed!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

Attempted fraud by Direct Express. Called my card today. They had it on suspension cause some merchant they knew were fraudulent, attempted to take funds from my card. They said I had to cancel my card which takes a month. I refused. They say they are sending it out to know last address which I no longer live. Payday is Wednesday November 1, 2017.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

My grandmother lost her Direct Express Card. When I call this company they refused to talk to me. My grandmother has dementia. She's 91 years old and does not know what they're talking about, but the lady still refuse to talk to me. I mean she was really really rude. This company is so horrible. I only wanted to ask her if there was a way that my name could be added to be a representative for my grandmother, But the lady kept saying, “If you keep interrupting I'm going to have to stop this call.” I don't even know if she replaced the card or not because I wasn't allowed to get back on the phone to hear what she was saying to my grandmother.

All I could hear my grandmother saying is ("No not right now. I don't use it. What? What are you talking about? I… I… What? I don't know… I…") and she was asking her for her address and telephone number. My grandmother doesn't remember those things. My grandmother was rubbing her head in frustration with me standing right there and I couldn't say or do anything and the only thing I can hear my grandmother saying is ("What? What? I don't know what you're saying. I don't know.") If they don't replace the card I have no way of paying her bills next month. There has got to be another way to help our Grandparents.

Direct Express Company Information

www.usdirectexpress.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use