Looking for a prepaid debit card?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

1.06/5

268 Direct Express Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 8, 2019

I have discovered unauthorized payment on my account and can’t get through to them. I keep getting A recording saying they have high volume of calls to call back later, then it hangs up on me. I need to be able to get something done before my whole account is drained! Also every three months my Internet account locks up. This has been going on for a year now!

Original review: July 5, 2019

I went to the website and clicked "other transactions" and pulled funds transfer. Entered the required information, double checked it and had my wife check again. They took the $26,273.00 from my account and charged $1.50 fee. The funds are supposed to take 3 days. After calling several times for a week after the three days finally got through to a person. After two transfers got to a person qualified to help. I was informed that DE stopped this type of transaction. I inquired about my funds and was informed a dispute normally takes 90 days but they will try to expedite the process. I asked if they no longer perform the transaction why debit the money and charge a fee. I got no answer.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Debit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 3, 2019

They put a hold on my card for a purchase which I cancelled before it was shipped and now they tell me it will take 5 days for the hold to be removed.... UNACCEPTABLE!!! How can Social Security deal with a fly by night operation like this.

Original review: July 3, 2019

I called into customer service. Was told by very rude Mexican man named Herman to call back later in a very thick accent. Could not understand anything I was asking! Got transferred to another rude Mexican man. Same thing. They hardly understand English & are very abusive to customers! My money was stolen and nothing has been done. How can you allow these Mexicans from another country who hardly speak or understand English to have our social security info? Disgusting and awful company.

Original review: June 23, 2019

This company cannot be rated: it is awful. This company and our social security administration need to back up, this card was recommended through social security as a secure safe way of banking. Apparently not, to my surprise someone hacked into my card depleting it on the 8th of June 2019. Thing is all charges were made in Fresno California or in California. I never leave my hometown and they seemed to have mostly purchased big amounts at Family Dollar stores in Fresno. I was livid because I live on very little, I was on the phone quickly, just to go through pure hell with so called customer service, either not understanding them or being told I will put you through to tier 2 just to be hung up on.

Over 20 calls to this so called secure card with Comerica Bank written on the front of it. I called the bank. Well aren’t I ignorant? They do not hold these funds. It is sent from the treasury dept. to a prepaid credit card company that have no supervisors and their reps I believe are outsourced, I asked them if they were, to be ignored with this question, her reply to me was, "Um we have a team, is there anything else I can help you with." My anger hit the roof. This was beyond 25 or more calls to listen to funeral music and a robot saying, "We appreciate your patience." I had none at this point.

I am not sure how this can happen and I feel it’s awful funny they have all of your information and money just disappears by thieves and you have all the proof but the thief or thieves are able to slide by and enjoy their over $300.00 worth of Family Dollar purchases. I’m on a limited income and they can just cause honest people so much harm and the Company and Social security who recommend this “secure” do not do what is right. I’m not even sure if the treasury department or Attorney General or the FBI can investigate this company to see money is being stolen and the card holder is made to feel as though they are not entitled to a return and you are treated like a criminal for doing the right thing.

Shame on you Direct Express and whoever else is involved in this. People count on honesty and trust with their personal information and their funds and you are allowing it to happen by not taking this matter seriously and giving people their money back in a timely manner and treating them as though they have no LEGIT reason to feel violated and upset. I bet your bills are paid and you have toilet paper and the things you need and probably more?

This is a felony offense and why is it not a priority for you to to fix it immediately for people who are honest and can prove it was fraudulent. I think people are very mislead with this so called bank card. I have been without any money since the 8th of June. Bills are automatically taken from my account at the end of the month but not Direct Expresses concern. Thieves got what they wanted and the customers suffer. It is sad because I have read the reviews and cannot believe this has not been investigated. So what are we card holders suppose to do? Someone has got to be able to help.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Express?

Original review: June 23, 2019

Wait times exceed one hour for the 23 times I contacted them. Horrible questions times on the phone. Understaffed, rude, and incompetent. AVOID THEM. Once connected. Put on hold forever. Worst customer experiences in my 64 years of life.

Original review: June 12, 2019

I disputed a transaction on my card on June 5th. They told me "dispute forms in the mail, get them back within 10 days". 10 days start the day you call about the Dispute. Here it is June 11 and no dispute forms in my mailbox. I don't know what type of fraud games Direct Express is playing. But I saw why they have a P.O. box because I will pull the ** up on them. I call today to get hung up on after entering my dispute number several times and giving my social security numbers. Direct express need to be investigated by the FBI.

Original review: June 11, 2019

I went to a ATM at Chase bank. Chase banks ATM took my money. Contacted bank, they said they can't help me. Printed slip said could not dispense money at this time. Had to handle through Direct Express. Always hangs up on you saying call volume high. Can't reach them when you do always working on it. Says it could be 45 days. In other words your social security that pays rent is gone for that long. You are threatened with eviction. DO NOT GET THIS CARD!!! Any problems you are the victim. Just have your money direct deposited. If I could give 0 stars I would!!

Original review: June 11, 2019

I had someone making fraudulent charges to my debit card costing me over $173.00. Debra at Direct Express told me that I could dispute the charges. She was very rude and told me I may not see the money. But it was going to take at least 45 days to even find out. She did not give me a chance to give the details on the situation at hand. Debra spouted the case number and right away transferred me to an automated line. It informed me there was ten days to fill out forms and mail them back. If not received by then it would then be closed and the case would be dropped. In my opinion I was treated like the criminal (not protecting my card number) at the end of the call, due to her. It was not my fault. She was mean and nasty in the end of the day. I even contacted the F.B.I to report the crime as it was an internet site. I can't even contact Direct Express to see where things stand due to I have not even received a new card yet.

Original review: June 5, 2019

Charges were filed on my Direct Express card from a merchant that I did not authorize charges for in February and April. When I realized in March that my card had unauthorized charges, I called Direct Express to raise a dispute. The representative told me who the merchant was for the charges. I then asked was there any charges on previous months and was told no. At this time I did not have the mobile app on my phone. I then downloaded the app and to my surprise there were charges in February. I submitted my paperwork for the dispute in March.

It is now June and I just received a letter stating that the investigation confirmed that the charges are not evident of fraud. I called and spoke to several representative after being on hold for hours to be told that there is nothing they can do now because the investigation is closed and it is past the 45 days. I was even hung up on because the representative couldn't answer my question. I was referred to a level 2 agent who then gave me another number to call which they were of no help. Who can I talk to about getting my money back. This is unacceptable and unprofessional. This is a horrible company. If you can avoid using at all cost because if your money is stolen they do not want to give it back.

Original review: June 2, 2019

I disputed some fraudulent charges on my card. Well they claim to have done some research, which they obviously did not cause I have never done business with the company who charged my card. I spoke with several people there, all of them rude. Never have I dealt with such a horrible company. They gave me what this rude woman referred to as a loan and then took it back once they claim I did make the transaction. I asked several time to speak with a supervisor or someone in disputes. All I ever got was, "You can't speak with them." Can't wait to go to Social Security and change my direct deposit. Horrible stealing money from people.

Original review: May 24, 2019

In March 2019 I called Direct Express to set up account to have my Social Security Check deposited on their card. As of May 24, 2019 I have not received my Express card nor my Social Security Money for May. I have called Express twice now and they keep saying the card is on the way. I still have not received it nor my money. I have contacted Social Security and waiting to hear from them. Do not waste your time with this company. They are not truthful or reliable. You will end up like me with no money to pay your bills.

Original review: May 17, 2019

This company is the worst! They have notified me twice that there had been fraudulent activity on card and sent new one out and then charged me for a new card. They told me they sent a new card out in February of this year and sent it express mail. I did not request it as no funds were being deposited due to over payment. When I finally started to get my funds again this month I still cannot access them due to no card. They sent one out but to wrong address. This is

3 weeks from when funds were deposited. I would not recommend this card to my worst enemy. It is a nightmare!!!

Original review: May 15, 2019

I have this card for my son, who I adopted to receive his benefits for his mother who passed away when he was 6 months.... I adopted him! We have had the card for about 6 years. Our first problem occurred last summer when the card or whatever was hacked and there were online purchases, at which time the company cancelled the card with no notice, but I was ok with it because they replaced it quickly and got the money back in a timely fashion.... However in March, they allowed someone to call and change my address to New York, when I live in Maryland and always have. When I called them they said all of my information was verified with whoever this person is and they have to have all of my information to make an address change. They canceled the card and sent me fraud paperwork which took over two weeks for me to receive and issued me a new card.

I am still dealing with trying to get the funds back that this person used when today I went to check the app for the fraudulent transactions from March only to find out they allowed someone yesterday to call in and change my address to Missouri. I however still live in Maryland and my account is noted to be as a high-risk collar. That did not stop them from changing my address again when in March they were supposed to note the account that no changes could be made via telephone that I would have to go in person to Social Security to make any changes. That obviously did not happen because someone changed my address just yesterday. Then I had to argue with them until eventually I got a supervisor on the phone who finally agreed not to charge me to issue me a new card but they did allow the account to go in the negative when they overnighted the card to the person in Missouri.

I only have not closed the account because I'm still dealing with the fraud case from March and I am not sure if I will get the funds back if I close it. Needless to say I will be going to the Social Security building and having a lengthy conversation with them tomorrow. I can't stand this company and will never recommend or use them again! It makes you choose at least one star because I would give them negative Stars if that was an option explanation point.

Original review: May 12, 2019

I don't trust Direct Express, some of my money is gone and they don't do anything to get my money back. I don't like foreign people, they're horrible at English and can't understand them. We need our paper checks back and it's way better. No such thing to ran out of papers or resources, Plant and Grow a Tree, very simple. Whatever their reason is why switch to Direct Express card instead of paper checks is downright stupid.

Original review: May 10, 2019

Please read and be aware. I have this particular card for my Social Security benefits. I didn't have many problems until somehow my card got frauded. The strange thing is someone used my card to buy a plane ticket outside of the US. It wasn't even used in the US for this transaction yet the federal government who works with this card allowed the transaction to go through and it was for several hundred dollars. This company Direct Express is holding the money until investing is over with and they are not wanting to work with my local authorities on the case. Yes a report had to be filed and lots of paperwork had to be sent in to Direct Express. They are saying it can be 3 or more months before I can maybe get the money back.

This is insane considering the transaction shouldn't have ever been allowed to begin with considering it was used not in the US and for airpane tickets. So now I am wanting to let people know that this card is not secure and you will not be able to get the funds back from fraud easily at all. I suggest to anyone with this card get rid of it. Cancel it and get a bank account with someone or anyone. Bank accounts will replace the money till the investigation is complete. Just don't keep this card. It truly is horrible when you are left without being able have the money to live on that you really need. I hope this review can at least help 1 person from the pain.

Original review: May 9, 2019

2 days before my SSI deposit, the app informed me that my account had fallen below ten dollars. I looked and I was in the negative. Someone all the way across the country requested a new card for my account and had it expedited to them. After 2 hours on hold (you must claim your card lost or stolen to talk to a human) a man told me in broken English that my new card was sent to Hollywood Florida (I live in California). He wouldn't tell me any more information, the next day was deposit day and the people in Florida took every penny I had. It's been 9 days, they actually charged me for a new card and its delivery. I was told it takes 48 hours to receive the fax and emailed fraud paperwork and they have not responded or gave me any information since. This company sucks. Worst bank ever.

Original review: May 5, 2019

I had fraudulent activity on April 1st. Took 6 days before I could reach someone to file dispute. Whole time my case mgr or I could check transactions. It took 2 days before they denied my claim due to conflicting information. Can't reach anyone to get copy of sham investigation then received email stating my case be reopened but still no word, no provisional credit or any answers at all. To make matters worse on May 1st when I went to use new card sent to me it had block on it. After 5 hrs of pointless calling a single rep did what supervisor said impossible and unblocked my card. In conversation with supervisor he stated my card block because someone had my info and contacted them. That proof right there my earlier case need approved so either they lying about activity or deliberately making my life miserable because I filed complaints with FTC. Greedy uncaring people who condone theft from disabled persons and getting rich doing it.

Original review: May 4, 2019

Feb 1, 2019 my grandson was scammed out of some monies to be sent overseas via Western Union. I was suspicious of his behavior so checked his card early that morning. I went directly to the Police Department then to a Western Union sales desk. (I had the printout from the bank showing the Western Union confirmation number and transaction.) Western Union sales desk was extremely helpful. The transaction was cancelled and I was told the money was returned to the bank. I have contacted Direct Express multiple times. They owe my debit card $604.00. I was told mid March that Direct Express would return the money back to the card in 30 days. As of May 3 no money has been returned. This is downright theft and it is impossible to discuss with a live person. I hate this company. I can't imagine that Social Security recommends them.

Original review: May 3, 2019

The Co. arbitrarily cancelled my card 1 day before my SS Deposit leaving me no access to my funds. They refused to take responsibility and correct their error thereby leaving me unable to pay my car registration due and no way to deal with auto payments that won't go thru. In other words financially destroyed, penniless and penalties accumulating. Refused to do anything but send a new card that would not be recieved till next week... just straight out too bad for me! I contacted Comerica Bank who they are more than just Associated with and they would only transfer me back to Direct Express. I checked and the President of US Direct Express is Comerica Bank. Also discover this is not uncommon and they carry a D rating at the BBB. This is not the only issue I've had with them but far more damaging. I never requested or gave permission to cancel my card.. How Dare They!

Original review: April 30, 2019

I have had the displeasure of using this card as a way for my ssdi check to get deposited each month. I have already had it replaced once in the past 3 years because they said their system was hacked. Now -- for over a week I have tried to access a live operator to "report a lost or stolen card" and all I get is a recording to "call back another time!" Are you kidding? A stolen card and I am still waiting to report it now for over a week. I tried to find some help online and there is nothing and no one you can contact!

I can't even get into my account online because someone has gone in and changed my user ID, password, and the stupid little picture that is suppose to assure you that your account is safe to log into. Right! Now I am on hold for 45 minutes to the social security association to report this! This country is ridiculous! With all the voicemail loops and recordings that get you nowhere and no help. I am cancelling this card today and I will go back to a paper check if I have to. Direct Express you suck!

Original review: April 29, 2019

For years, I've moved a little money each month from Direct Express into a bank account to provide funds for a bill or two that require a check. This month, I made the usual transfer online - my bank info etc. permanently appears on my account's page, and I just need to type in the amount, and a PIN, and submit. Direct Express gave the usual confirmation notice, and a deduction for that amount appeared on my account log. However, after a few days, the money, oddly enough, did not arrive in my bank account.

I called Direct Express on a Sunday to ask if there was any problem with the transfer. What I was told was that DirectExpress NO LONGER allows transfers to bank accounts because of the risk of fraud. The problem is there was absolutely NO notice of this change. Also, why did their system let me do it, and give me a confirmation, if it was no longer allowable! I've had the same pattern of behavior with this transfer for years. So now I am stuck driving 40 miles to a bank branch to make a deposit to cover incoming checks, plus funds that I can use right now are floating somewhere in cyberspace. All Direct Express says is that they should be returned to my account in "some days."

Original review: April 28, 2019

Every month I get a text message from Direct Express saying my deposit will be applied to my card. I don’t have a card with them nor have I ever had a card with them and I don’t get benefits. When I pull up their website there was no information of who to contact to resolve this. Funny thing is that, on their website, I am given two different account numbers that I could possibly access to look up information on. I didn’t of course.

When I finally found a customer service number to call I had to press “lost or stolen card” prompt to talk to someone. I told the lady what was going on. She said maybe I was looking at the wrong website (I wasn’t). She also told me that there is nothing they can do without looking up someone’s account and even then she can’t remove my number from their account. I asked her if replying “stop” to the text will stop the text messages. She said she didn’t know. Really??? How can you work for a company that supplies people with federally funded money and not know how to resolve this? If not for me, at least for the person who’s account it actually is. If I could give them zero stars, I would!

Original review: April 26, 2019

This Direct Express card was declined at the grocery store, and was declined at my pharmacy. I went to the ATM, and was only allowed to withdraw 100 dollars with a 3.50 fee. I know this is MY money! Also, they do not give any free withdrawals. I was lied to by their service rep, and they are still lying about this fake card. Get a bank account with a real debit card.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I don't use this card for more than a dozen or so transactions per month over the past 3-4 years. On March 24 the card was declined when I knew there should be several hundred dollars available. When I called Direct Express (and after more than an hour to get through) I was told my complaint could not be challenged until they “cleared” the system. I should call back in two weeks to register my complaint. I called back 11 days later, after a total of 68 fraudulent charges totaling over a thousand dollars had been made by the same non-existent company. It has now been 28 days since my first complaint and I have not had ANY response except to have my card suspended. I recently found a number for the Comerica Bank complaint dept. (313.222-3435). They have promised a response and resolution.

Original review: April 19, 2019

Direct Express has yet to get my 291 back on my card. Stole the money at the hotel I was supposed to stay at and hotel lied to me. I got paperwork and the only thing Direct saying is I need to call but I was on the phone with hotel and Direct Express when this happened. It's now April 18. This happened march 28 and I got my money Friday at 2 am April 1 and it disappointed. Never returned. Been writing letter on phone on Facebook. This stealing been on for a while. What is being done. Why is it not a civil suit on this company.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I honestly don't see how Direct Express is getting away with stealing from your SSDI card. In the past 4-5 yrs there has been a total of over 1,000.00 taken ''stolen'' from my card, from some ** working at Direct Express. I even went as far as making police report a couple of times due to 2 missing FUNDS and sadly nothing was done. I would love to have have a job through this company. If I was employed through Direct Express I would never have money problems, I would never have worries about being able to pay my bills, smh!!!! SO BLANKING SAD!!!!

Original review: April 15, 2019

Can anyone help me with this. I receive my soc sec disability benefits on my Direct Express card. I have had card for about 7 years with no issues. Last week went to use my card and was told there was a hold on it because of fraud. When I contacted the fraud dept I was told to send in documents to prove my identity. I sent them in a total of 5 different times for an entire 7 day period. I was hung up on by several agents. I was called names by the agents. I was told they are a private company and that NO I could not speak to a supervisor. I have complied with all their request and as of today was told they are not going to accept any documents that I sent and that they will hold my money. That they will not return it to social security and I am basically out of my monthly benefits.

Does anyone on here have any suggestions. I went to the social security office (which is not an easy task for me). They gave me a form to submit to Direct Express giving them permission to prove my identity with social security and Direct Express said they will not accept that as well. I should get paid this Wed April 17th but they will not allow me to access my funds. So my rent and utilities will not get paid. I am desperate. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Original review: April 12, 2019

Don't get with Direct Express. Every month I am seeing where someone has charged something on my card and then this time it said ATM 120.00. I never even used or went by an ATM. We have to put a stop to this. What can we do? I have SSI and that's all the income I get. Single mother as well.

Original review: April 7, 2019

They let people change your information and take your money and you have to jump through hoops to get it back. I had to do it three times. They are a scam and I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy. 1 star is too many.

Direct Express Company Information