2. Finance
  3. Prepaid Cards
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.20/5

Direct Express is a prepaid card that gives you access to your federal benefits regardless of whether you have a bank account. If you receive federal benefits and want a secure way to store and use your funds, Direct Express’ easy-to-use debit card gives you simple access and is accepted at many locations.

BOTTOM LINE

Direct Express gives federal benefits recipients an easy way to access funds without needing a bank account. The majority of federal funds are eligible for use with Direct Express, and its application process is simple and free.

PROS

• All funds are FDIC-insured
  • No bank account necessary
  • Works where Mastercard is accepted

CONS

• No lines of credit or loans available

Top Direct Express Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Express?

I actually feel safe with this card because it is an extension of the disability/social security dept and the app they have is so useful and convenient way to get your balance and all activities that occur. I don't have any issues and would recommend this card.

I love this card. I don't have very many issues and if I do customer service takes care of it. Seeing all these bad reviews I felt I should share my experience. My card was cloned and used in another state. The day after I faxed the papers back to them I received the credit back.

What is Direct Express?

Direct Express gives consumers access to their federal funds through its convenient and secure debit card. You could be eligible for Direct Express’ card if you receive funding from one of the following government agencies:

• Coast Guard
  • Social Security Administration
  • Department of the Treasury
  • Veterans Affairs
  • Veterans Health Administration

You can use your Direct Express card just like a debit card at ATMs and stores that accept Mastercard. To sign up for Direct Express’ debit card, call the company's enrollment center or visit your local federal paying agency. Direct Express doesn’t require a credit check or minimum balance to sign up.

Direct Express rates and fees

Most of Direct Express’ services are free, but there are some fees associated with certain services, including:

• Direct Express Cash Access: 85 cents per transaction
  • Funds transfer: $1.50 per transfer
  • Card replacement: $4
  • Foreign purchase fees: 3% of the purchase price

You can cancel your Direct Express account at any time at no cost by calling the company's customer service office.

Direct Express FAQ

What bank does Direct Express use?
Direct Express uses Comerica. The Treasury Department announced a five-year agreement with Comerica as its financial agent in January 2020.
How long does it take to get a Direct Express card in the mail?
Applicants receive their Direct Express cards within seven to 14 days after approval. Once you receive your card, your federal payments automatically deposit to it.
Can I put money on my Direct Express card?
No, you can’t put money on your Direct Express card. The only funds you can access or have on your Direct Express card are those from the government.
How do I contact Direct Express customer service?
You can contact Direct Express’ customer service representatives by calling its customer service hotline.

Is Direct Express worth it?

Direct Express’ basic services are free, and its card doesn’t require a credit check or minimum balance. If you receive federal benefits from Social Security, the Department of Veterans Affairs or another government agency, the Direct Express card makes it easier for you to access and easily use your funds.

Direct Express Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Express?

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

I was trying to use my card at the store. It said declined so I was embarrassed needless to say. I call them. They said that my card was no longer any good. That another one had been issued and also my address and all my information had been changed by someone and Direct Express allowed them to wipe my money. Completely gone!!! As I was asking them why they didn't do a thorough check of identify the info before they changed everything for the thief They started saying to me they need to verify this and that before they could help me because I called them out for not doing their job to start with. Well when they transferred me I was hung up on. Said they are receiving a high volume of calls and to call back and so I did that 5 times the same day. The next day same thing twice and to today I have not been able to talk to no one about my account but they let the thief change all my info and now I still have no money.

My account info has been changed and Direct Express is at fault. I need help to get this resolved. I have a new bank now. I want my money back. $783.00. My SSI check for the month of September 20 and also they charged me for having another card sent out. This is wrong!!!! I am reporting them to the Federal Government and they work for them. That is sad they don't protect their customers' accounts. They are crooks themselves. They need to be investigated. I am also reporting them to the Better Business Bureau. Today is the 10th and I still have not got my money from the 1st. Please someone help me from Direct Express. If you see this please contact me at my email address or phone number. I need to get this resolved. This is y'all fault because poor security and poor employees not doing their jobs. I hope all of our conversations we had on the phone were recorded. I am leaving my info in private.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
    Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

My card was compromised by someone in the UK, I immediately contacted Direct Express whom then confirmed after looking at the account activity that it was a fraudulent transaction. Well when I called back to start the process of refunding my money I was directed to the automated system.. And not allowed to speak with anyone live. Only until I contacted the Better Business Bureau did they call me back immediately! So I advise anyone that has a problem with their customer service to contact the BBB.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

When I called Direct Express customer service, I waited on hold for 90 minutes before speaking with a CS rep. The rep told me that my card had been locked (it is a new card with no activity) and that unlocking it might take a few minutes, or might take a few days. I would just have to be patient and wait for the card to start working again. I told the rep that I was living overseas permanently, and that I was in a dire situation due to my card not working. The rep then became extremely rude and confrontational, and she refused to allow me to speak with anyone else at Direct Express. However, instead of transferring me to a supervisor, the rep simply disconnected my call. The CS reps working for Direct Express are unable to provide basic information, they are unable to troubleshoot issues, and they are extremely disinterested in listening to what their customers are trying to tell them. Very poor customer service.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

My card was stolen. I filled out all the Documents to get my $ back. Even have a letter from Direct Express stating my $ would be available. Lo and behold the $ is available. Direct Express just added the $ to a expired card. Why NOT add my credit to my active card? DO NOT waste your time calling. Hold time is 2 plus hours. I have filed a Complaint with the FDIC, BBB and the Attorney General. I'm NOT happy about this! I have also sent 2 letters to Direct Express. Simple transfer my $ to my active card! What's so hard about that?

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

This company is recommended by the Dept. of Treasury as being safe. It is not. My debit card account was hacked and $732.00 was electronically withdrawn from my account. I was never able to recover my funds even though they are insured by the FDIC. Worst customer service I have ever dealt with.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2020

My credit card was hacked. It all started on 8/1/20 and finally ended when we called Direct Express. All the time these charges were being done were not caught by the fraud department. They left charges for a total $250.00 to be deducted from card. This card is where my SS check is deposited. These charges were for $.03, $.06, $1.95, $1.96: $4.95, and $1.93 each. Any other card would have caught these fraudulent charges. When we called we told them the last time we used the card was on 8/9. A ton of charges came through on 8/12. When we pulled the card info in the computer is when we found all the charges ranged from 8/1 to 8/12.

The woman we had on the phone took the attitude of, "Oh well I’ll send you the paperwork and if we don’t have a response by 8/26 the claim will need to be restarted." The bank paperwork showed on $83.76, have no idea where she even got the total because if she only took the 12th the charges added to over $100.00. The only reason we leave my money on the card is because if someone hacks our. He king account at least we have money readily available. I guess from now on we will need to pull up the account in the computer daily.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2020

I called got a card. They said I didn't have got another card. They have emailed me about and they say I don't have it then they say I have fraudulent activity. There has been no activity. It's never been used yet they have $6.000 dollars. I can't pay rent. I've got metastatic breast cancer. I can't continue to fight them. I need help! I don't feel any star should be given but I gotta give one.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

So my S/O has been waiting for her SSI for herself and she is also the beneficiary for her daughter's SSI for over 4 months. She has been on hold on and off wasting so much time. 4 months? Why can't we get this issue fixed? She's faxed all of her information applied to the account more than a few times. They sent the wrong card and they keep hanging up on our calls. It makes no sense how our funds are stuck in limbo.

How do we get to the bottom of this problem when we can't walk into an office and speak to someone face to face? We are so unhappy with the service at this bank. We are on hold now as we speak on another phone. Even when they ask her for her name, they get that info and her social. They drop the call and we have to get through waiting on hold in order to be dropped again. 4 months two different accounts. That money is desperately needed 4 months ago. How is this possible to hold up two different customer's monies and no response?

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

I never received the Direct Express debit cards that I paid Express mail for $17 plus another express for $17. Plus received my first card that take 7 to ten business day they direct Express agent cancel it. They direct Express agent tell me my problem is with UPS. Then tells me I'm not going to get a refund from them July 15, 2020.

Original review: July 28, 2020

The Direct Express card for SS payments is a complete rip off when it comes to recovering money stolen from you. Closing cases because of timelines being given to card holders to submit info when company drops the ball on sending paperwork said to have sent. Doesn't matter what proof you have on your end about money being stolen from your card Direct Express has loopholes they use as excuses to not give you credit or your own money back! Total rip off! Don't trust that Direct Express is safe or that when money is stolen off of your card that you'll get it back! You wont! Open a bank account because Direct Express are a bunch of crooks!

Direct Express Company Information