1.08/5

244 Direct Express Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 19, 2019

I don't use this card for more than a dozen or so transactions per month over the past 3-4 years. On March 24 the card was declined when I knew there should be several hundred dollars available. When I called Direct Express (and after more than an hour to get through) I was told my complaint could not be challenged until they “cleared” the system. I should call back in two weeks to register my complaint. I called back 11 days later, after a total of 68 fraudulent charges totaling over a thousand dollars had been made by the same non-existent company. It has now been 28 days since my first complaint and I have not had ANY response except to have my card suspended. I recently found a number for the Comerica Bank complaint dept. (313.222-3435). They have promised a response and resolution.

Original review: April 19, 2019

Direct Express has yet to get my 291 back on my card. Stole the money at the hotel I was supposed to stay at and hotel lied to me. I got paperwork and the only thing Direct saying is I need to call but I was on the phone with hotel and Direct Express when this happened. It's now April 18. This happened march 28 and I got my money Friday at 2 am April 1 and it disappointed. Never returned. Been writing letter on phone on Facebook. This stealing been on for a while. What is being done. Why is it not a civil suit on this company.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Debit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I honestly don't see how Direct Express is getting away with stealing from your SSDI card. In the past 4-5 yrs there has been a total of over 1,000.00 taken ''stolen'' from my card, from some ** working at Direct Express. I even went as far as making police report a couple of times due to 2 missing FUNDS and sadly nothing was done. I would love to have have a job through this company. If I was employed through Direct Express I would never have money problems, I would never have worries about being able to pay my bills, smh!!!! SO BLANKING SAD!!!!

Original review: April 15, 2019

Can anyone help me with this. I receive my soc sec disability benefits on my Direct Express card. I have had card for about 7 years with no issues. Last week went to use my card and was told there was a hold on it because of fraud. When I contacted the fraud dept I was told to send in documents to prove my identity. I sent them in a total of 5 different times for an entire 7 day period. I was hung up on by several agents. I was called names by the agents. I was told they are a private company and that NO I could not speak to a supervisor. I have complied with all their request and as of today was told they are not going to accept any documents that I sent and that they will hold my money. That they will not return it to social security and I am basically out of my monthly benefits.

Does anyone on here have any suggestions. I went to the social security office (which is not an easy task for me). They gave me a form to submit to Direct Express giving them permission to prove my identity with social security and Direct Express said they will not accept that as well. I should get paid this Wed April 17th but they will not allow me to access my funds. So my rent and utilities will not get paid. I am desperate. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Original review: April 12, 2019

Don't get with Direct Express. Every month I am seeing where someone has charged something on my card and then this time it said ATM 120.00. I never even used or went by an ATM. We have to put a stop to this. What can we do? I have SSI and that's all the income I get. Single mother as well.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Express?

Original review: April 7, 2019

They let people change your information and take your money and you have to jump through hoops to get it back. I had to do it three times. They are a scam and I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy. 1 star is too many.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I am a case manager for an elderly disabled female and was assisting her with her social security account (which is managed by Direct Express). We were bounced from agent to agent (3 total) over the course of an hour, and in each case, we were repeatedly told that there was nothing they could do to assist with fraudulent activity. We were told that an e-mail address, user ID, and mailing address were associated with my client's account, but the representatives would not provide us with any of this information, despite this account belonging solely to my client. It was extremely frustrating.

You would think that by the time we were transferred to a supervisor, we would receive a more knowledgeable response. WRONG. Supervisor "Tyler" could not have been more unprofessional or condescending. His manner was so non-customer-centered that I asked him to confirm he worked in customer service, because I honestly wasn't sure. He confirmed that he did, and he became defensive. No wonder this company has so many 1 star ratings and complaints. Learn how to work WITH your customers, not against them, Direct Express!

Original review: March 27, 2019

ZERO STARS. After 6 hours on the phone trying to get in contact with someone whom would give me an answer to why my hard earned money was not RE-deposited back to my account after being fraudulent acknowledged by DIRECT EXPRESS {FRAUD DEPT.} I found a phone number to call. For ALL customers of DIRECT EXPRESS, DEPOSIT. The number to call is... 313-222-3435. COMERICA BANK... Complaint Dept. They will investigate YOUR ISSUES. I HOPE THIS HELPS. You can also visit... www.comericabank.com.

Original review: March 21, 2019

6,745.21... That is the amount taken from my account. It appeared to be a fraudulent hack. It was not! Direct Express is taking the money! They make it appear as though your account has been hacked, when it is they themselves faking fraud. In addition to the actual funds that are lost, They also get paid by holding your funds until a fake investigation is completed. After the investigation Direct Express can blame you and keep your money. Consumers are forced to pay replacement card fees and expedited shipping fees to get a new card. My card was replaced and "hacked" into 30 days later. If you can have your money deposited somewhere else it is imperative that you do so immediately! You will lose your money if you don't!

Original review: March 15, 2019

They took my disability check and manipulated it three months in a row. They investigated fraud and gave it back then took it again, closed the case and put it back! Just to take it out again the next day and put me 600 in the hole, worthless, no help! They dont give a crap about anybody. They will steal you money, cheat your money, and straight out take your money and you have nothing you can do about it, is anybody suing the ** let me know. I want on, I want them to pay out the nose, miserable waste. I could go on for the hours spent on the phone trying to get a human being! Then they're absolutely worthless in trying to help you. Satan be gone you miserable pieces of **.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I was being robbed over and over when I was homeless. The Direct Express customer service said they had to send a paper statement which they couldn't do because I had no address. Then they would review and get back to me in 6-8 months. And again, how are they to get back to me. I'm homeless. A cab in Sacramento, Ca. bought one of those machines at Rite-Aid. It is a machine you can run a credit card on. Well he charged me $302.00 for a 10 minute ride, then gave himself a $75.00 tip. I called Direct Express and they did nothing. I could go on for hours. I called Direct Express and had 6 years of back statements sent to me. I just recently got off the streets. And I couldn't believe how many times I had been ripped off. I have contacted several of them. No one cares and no one will reimburse me.

Original review: March 7, 2019

Over a period of a year, somehow several $100 was siphoned off of my count using the Direct Express cash card. When this was discovered and reported to Direct Express they already mediately to fix the problem and Credit my account for the missing amount. But before they could credit my account they needed Have a standard investigation done into the fraud, which seemed reasonable. After 2 months of delay and no follow up by Direct Express company, I contacted them and asked for the status of the claim. I was then told that I need it to review the amounts that were missing and send it all to them in writing. This meant for me to spend hours reviewing 2 years of documents and hundreds of transactions in order to find the exact transaction list that transaction out in writing and then send it back to the company. It took me almost a week to complete this task. Upon completion of this task I then submitted the paperwork to direct express.

Shortly after the paperwork was submitted, I received a letter in the mail stating that there would be a full review and A final decision no later than 90 days but I should expect a decision in less than 10 business days. I received that letter 5 and a 1/2 months ago, and to this day I have yet to have this case Finalized. Just this morning on March 7th Kama I contacted Direct Express once again to complain about the length of time it is taking them to review and render a decision on this complaint and/or fraudulent act. At the end of this discussion with Direct Express, I was told once again that they will send another e-mail to the fraud department and have them look into it.

There was no other explanation given no other alternative means of resolving this issue promised, not even an apology and an offer of good will to help with the cost and bills that have been accumulating since this amount has been siphoned out of my account and I have been unable to use. For this reason I am warning the public about this Company. To be honest I'm not 100% sure that the amount was siphon off my account by some other person. My suspicions says That this company are the ones who are doing the Siphoning. It could be possible that they are using veterans monies to fund some other expedition or to use that cash in their own pockets for some other venture and then returning the money after they made a profit somewhere else. I cannot see no other reason why it would take over 6 months to clear up an obvious fraud attack against an account.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I love this card. I don't have very many issues and if I do customer service takes care of it. I realize the people that go out of their way to write reviews have usually had a bad experience. I wanted look at reviews because my card was cloned and I'm wondering if Direct Express was hacked. Seeing all these bad reviews I felt I should share my experience. My card was cloned and used in another state. $200 was charged at a store in N.Y. I called customer service as soon as I noticed the charge online. The fraud department opened an investigation and sent me forms to fill out.

The day after I faxed the papers back to them I received the credit back. I knew I would, it's obvious someone cloned the card as the it was used in person 10 hours away from me 5 minutes after I used it myself. I've had to call customer service a few times and they are in another country, but I always understand them. And the only time I can think of that the card doesn't work when I know funds are available is at gas pumps. And oh well, I go in and pay debit and usually get a better price.

Original review: March 7, 2019

The Direct Express Card is declined 75% of the time I try to use it (not an issue with available funds). They will decline purchases from companies I have bought for previously without a problem using the card. When I call to find out I am given the "Mastercard has decided to decline purchases for your protection" line. If I am calling to say I am the one making the purchase they declined, how is that protecting me? What is the point of having a card that is declined 75% of the legit purchases I am making authorized by me? Long wait times, dropped transfer calls and then there are the times it says they are too busy, call back later. I am forced to use this card as it is what my company has given me.

Original review: March 4, 2019

Direct Express is a terrible company if you happen to have fraud which you WILL at some point. They only have foreigners to answer the phones so you can be extra annoyed and confused. They let people charge your card in other states even though they know you live somewhere hundreds or thousands of miles away. They will hang up on you when you several times when you call to report fraud. Horrible horrible company.

Original review: March 2, 2019

I am utterly disgusted in this company. I need to print my statements for my proof of Medicare. I used to be able to print my statements, but the last 6 months, I haven't been able to, and have called the so-called customer service department numerous times, and said that they would take care of the problem. Well, they haven't. They are so full of **!!! I am also sick of being hung up on!!! I don't know why we have to deal with this company, just because SS payments are put on this card. Need to change companies!!! I also asked for a paper statement be sent to me over a month ago. Still waiting!!! I HATE THIS COMPANY!!! IT SUCKS!!!

Original review: March 1, 2019

I've been with Direct Express for some time now. My experience with Direct Express customer service has been 85% negative. If an Issue ever comes up that to where I know I have to call Direct Express I get bad vibes before even making the call from the negative experiences I've had with them before with other issues. The customer service is very lazy and some don't really want to help you and some have very negative attitudes. Also, the call volumes are always high to where you can't get through. Calling this bank can be a waste of time and time consuming when they hang up the phone on you while you're on hold or just will not answer their calls at all. Their call volumes have been high for almost 24 hours as of right now. I am just wondering if their volumes are high or if it is that no one wants to answer you. Can't have this type of negative going on when there are serious issues that need to be taken care of or checked up on.

With all the negative fraudulent activity that happens these days with hackers and scams sadly, that happens a bank should be available at all times with a customer service who is ready to help you asap. I am at my limit with Direct Express I am tired of the drama and the ignorance there is already an issue happening they don't make anything more comfortable for you, in fact, they add on. I am ready to switch banks because of these issues enough is enough. You'd think with all the negative reviews there is about Direct Express they would pull their ** gear and be more on point but no its been the same for over a year. This bank is in dire need of positive change ASAP or I think they just might be out of business altogether over time.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Had 600+$ charged on my card over 3 months in small 10-20$ overseas charges last year. I jumped through all the hoops and was denied. I put a complaint on the BBB site and a couple of weeks a customer service rep from DE called and reopens my case. They deposited the money back into my in Dec. Now 2 months later my account is locked up and I can’t even see my balance or reach anyone to see what the problem is.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

In December of 2018 I went to the Google Play Store and downloaded the Direct Express app. I entered all of my info... cardmember... as well as some personal information. I also had to enter a pin and all that other stuff. I received an email stating that they were welcoming me to the app and thanks for downloading it. However, when I went to sign into the app it stated that the email and password were not valid. I knew it was valid because I had written it down and put it somewhere private and I know I did not make any mistakes.

After about an hour of trying to hit the number 3 button quickly I finally got through to someone. She sounded nice enough and I asked her what the situation was with the app and why I couldn't log in. She said she looked into my account and that there's no record of me signing up for their app. I told her that I have an email from them stating that I had successfully signed up for the app. She didn't sound like she was buying it even though it was the truth. I inform her that I can can do a screenshot of it and send it to her. She played coy and said, "Is there anything else I can do for you." What kind of reply is that to the previous statement?! She ended up hanging up on me and luckily my fingers are crossed I haven't had any money or my card compromised. I feel really bad for you guys who have had this happen and it's disgrace.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Direct Express has got to be the worst in Customer Service through to management is an unprofessional, unethical Company to deal with. After your account has had fraud on it you need to speak right away to someone. After calling the fraud dept and once explained they have to transfer the call to level 2 because there's been some fraud on your account. Then why have a phone number to call the fraud dept that can't even help you and just route the calls to level 2 as that's the dept fraud customers need anyway. In that dept you will either become even more upset after holding for hours and hours or they will just cut you off their line. Tell me when I called them bad I had to hang up because my blood pressure was so high after holding so long just to hear, "We have a high call volume. Please call back at a later time."

I had my account compromised and I reported this to the police and to Direct Express. I completed all paperwork sent for me to complete attaching all their required documents and mail them in. Without me being notified the case was closed and not open for investigating. When I disputed this they said I need to start over and resend all required documents as they did mention to make sure I attached the police report as they didn't get a copy of it the first time. I asked what the next steps would be since they closed the case which I didn't even hear about. They stated I had to dispute the case and they will re-review the case, but mentioned to me to send the police report as they didn't get the first copy.

The disputed case I was told I didn't meet their criteria for fraud. I asked her who made that decision however she couldn't give out that information. I sent upper management and email asking them to send me all the paperwork that showed the entire steps that the fraud department took to investigate the fraud that had been done on my account along with any contact they made to the store, making calls to review the ATM video cameras, calls to the detective etc. The investigation report I received from upper management was SIMPLY my copies back along with their checklist saying I didn't have a police report EVEN tho I got the "lost" police report back with the investigation paperwork. I made it very clear about the footwork I needed to prove to me why my case was denied.

Again this was sent to upper management. So no matter how high you go in the company they seem to have the same mentality or the same attitude about not taking care of their responsibilities. So I DON'T believe Direct Express needs to be able to manage the elderly and disabled peoples monies as every penny to us is crucial. I also believe they need to be investigated and return all our fraudulent monies back to the customers and get reported to the BBB or lawsuit. Never get a Direct Express Card. It's not worth the time or energy to stay sane.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

2/6/19 I went to a Comerica ATM to withdraw $180 out of my account. It took the money off my card but never gave me my money. My ATM receipt says to be verified, but I never received my money. When I went into the bank they said that they couldn't help me because it's not an Comerica bank card and for me to contact Direct Express. I've been calling Direct Express ever since 2/6/19 and all their recording keep saying is due to heavy call volume I have to call back. So what can I do next?

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Direct Express is a scam on the public which is stealing from its own cardholders as corporate policy and the clueless victims and policy think that anonymous identity thieves are responsible. I have years of experience in complex civil litigation focusing on fraud as well criminal defense. Direct Express stole from the wrong person. I will expose their scam. I am the first person to recognize the scam and explain it.

My Direct Express card was deactivated and a new one sent to a thief who wasn't asked for my pin number, challenge question answers or identifying documentation of any kind. They gave my name, SS number and debit card number over a 5 minute phone call to Direct Express. There was zero security. I have to enter pin numbers and other forms of i.d. just to check my balance. Direct Express intentionally designed their system to make it easy for identity thieves to steal your account and they make it impossible for the legitimate cardholder to communicate with Direct Express and get their card back.

I learned on Feb 1, 2019 from Direct Express that they blocked my card and sent one to a thief who gave no pin number or any form of i.d. documentation. Supervisor told me during the fraud complaint call I made that day that the thief's fake card would be deactivated and not to worry, my benefits were still pending and not yet posted due to the government shut down and they were immediately cancelling the fraudulent card which was useless because Direct Express was informed of fraud before my deposit hit my account. However, the supervisor who admitted the money hadn't yet posted lied because the fake card was never blocked and when my money came in later it was deposited in the fraudulent account that they knew was fake.

I have been locked out of my account and been isolated from communication and refused my card ever since because the dozen faxes of my 2 forms of i.d. are getting trash canned by Direct Express which lies by denying receipt of any of them despite a dozen fax confirmation receipts. The scam begins with criminally weak security which facilitates easy card theft. The victim calls in on a scam phone line which tells you 499 times out of every 500 attempts that there is heavy call volume and hangs up. It is nearly impossible to get to the pointless step of reaching an agent who really isn't a customer service rep and you have to just keep hitting 4 and 1 dozens of times to luck your way in to getting out of the circular maze which won't let you in because your blocked card's number is no longer valid for access and your pin becomes locked after the several times you try to enter your blocked card number.

When you get through the intentionally designed gauntlet and reach an agent on your 500th try (literally) he will tell you he's level one, knows nothing and will transfer you to level two who also can't help and they transfer you to a nonexistent department and the call drops every time. The furthest you will get is to be told that new, extra security that the thieves aren't burdened with is being implemented on your account due to the breach that Direct Express intentionally made so easy. You will be told to fax your address and copies two forms of i.d., even though you've fully verified yourself with pin numbers challenge question answers, none of which the thieves have to provide.

They know you are legitimate and they freely discuss confidential account info with yet they provide a weak excuse for denying you your card until you wait 48 hours for fax processing to call back in to the fake phone line at the fake customer service call center and be told the lie that your fax wasn't received after waiting the 48 hours. If you send the same fax 1,000 times and have confirmation sheets they will still deny receiving your fax. They will never, ever admit receiving your fax and you will be forever locked out of your account and perpetually denied a new card.

Customer service is a fake department filled with criminal conspirators, who are not really agents, they are merely a defensive front to run interference and keep you from ever getting back your card. There is no level 1 or level 2, that's just a treadmill for hamsters to run in till they ultimately give up. Depositors have federal liability protection which Direct Express ignores because they aren't a private bank as you will be told by any government agency you go to for help including the police who say Direct Express refuses to cooperate with them which prevents any investigation; Comerica bank which runs the scam are not some untouchable private entity which has found a way to evade federal law by hiding in the clouds of cyberspace, they are part of the U.S. Treasury and protected by them. This is why even police and even the FBI claim their hands are tied and there is no known recourse.

File a BBB complaint on Direct Express and the website will show Direct Express objecting to each claim on the grounds that they are part of the U.S. Treasury and not subject to the BBB. The entire Direct Express procedure is carefully designed at every step to facilitation easy, lightning fast fraud while making it impossible for their actual cardholder to ever get their card back. By the time you have repeatedly sent your faxes in which never get processed you will be told your account is empty, every time, even when your fraud complaint is made well in advance of your next deposit. This fact alone is proof that Direct Express is itself stealing social security funds from its customers, a fraud on the U.S. Treasury who just happen to control the not so private bank operating the scam.

By this time, you will be permanently blocked from your account and Direct Express will have control over your social security benefits until you can find another place to have your account deposited, which you better do before they steal your next check, for which they will never even be investigated for much less prosecuted. No government agency of any kind, including the courts and the FBI will help you. They will all scratch their heads about what to do and tell you, "You are on your own." Direct Express will never process your fraud claim but likely files one on your behalf behind your back and keeps the money, but that's the only thing I'm not 100% certain of here.

By itself alone, the Direct Express system and procedures prove the existence of their scam and their responsibility for it. Fake phone lines that hang up on you 99.8 percent of the time. Useless agents who keep you isolated from communication and locked out of your account with fake level ones and level twos and then hang up. A fake fax machine which sheds your fax so you never get approved to get get a new card when you finally get through on the 500th try where a useless level lies that your fax was never received and then transfers you to a nonexistent department and you are hung up on. Easy instant access to your account for Direct Express employees carrying out company policy masquerading as anonymous identity thieves.

New, unreasonable security requirements you will never be able to fulfill keeping you forever locked. Your money gone even after you report fraud on an account which doesn't yet have your money deposited. Direct Express is stealing social security funds from its customer/victims. Everyone associated with Direct Express belongs in prison.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I had charges to my Amazon account that weren't mine. Amazon knew they were fraud because they told me. These charges didn't show up on my history. Amazon refused to refund me. Direct Express said I agreed to the transactions. I didn't know about them because I hadn't got my bank statement yet. So they said they wouldn't return the money. Topeka water department was hacked in October 2018. They didn't tell us until mid December. I cancelled that card right away. January 9 I got my bank statement. It showed the fraud charges. Amazon won't tell me who it was so I could press charges, the detective's problem won't look into it. The water department says they're not accountable and Direct Express never does anything. If there is anyone out there that got results from Direct Express please let me know. I've never gotten help even with proof. I think they use a standard letter.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

They don't care if you've been hacked. Even if they clearly see its charges outside of the U.S. I call to wait 45 minutes, to barely tell her my social security number and she hangs up on me. Still waiting an hour later. They don't care that we live off that money. They are almost impossible to get ahold of. I have never seen a bank so hard to get ahold of. Never ever again will I do business with these monsters. They have nonexistent customer care.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

Today February 1, 2019 I went to call my card to see if my benefits were on my card. To my surprise, $803 dollars was stolen from my account at an atm in Florida and I stay in Cleveland Ohio. How could this ** happen when I have the card in my possession. I called Direct Express numerous times before they decided to answer. I had to go through every other option to get a live person and then they told me I had to wait 3 to 5 business days to get another card and that I had to file a claim for fraud and there is no guarantee I would get the money back. My car note is due tomorrow along with rent, light, gas, cable and household products I have to buy. This is ** and has never happened before. The money was withdrawn at 12:59 am... I can't believe this and I am angry...

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Prior to my existing account from days before I get my funds as benefits in my card. I called and it seems I have no pending deposits in my card. I usually get my pendings deposits within 4 to 3 days before I can know my new balance. Understand why that there is an error due to my benefits that the Social Security Administration saids nothing about me getting my benefits again, as of 1/31/2019. I still have no pendings. Guess I'll have to wait for the remaining day of the last day of the month to end.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Benefit payment not showing for Jan 2019. Called company, uncaring service representative with mundane, robotic voice told me to call VA. I called VA, system says benefit paid. After research found out that payment information not showing for most. Direct Express guy knew that and still blew me off to VA. Horrible customer service. Typical with these parasite companies associated with VA. Thanks for your service my **!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

My Direct Express card usually shows it's pending 4 days prior to the deposit date. I called the social security office and they said I'm still getting paid however my Direct Express card and your customer service line says nothing is pending. What is going on!!!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Unauthorized charge was placed on my Direct Express social security disability debit card account on 1/11/2019. Called Direct Express immediately that day when I was notified by phone notification of a transaction in the sum of $907.05 at BJ's Wholesale Club in Central Valley, NY. They told me that they had to wait for it to process before I could file a complaint. It cleared on 1/12/2019 and I filed a formal dispute. I cancelled that card and received a new one for a fee of $13.50. I also received a dispute form which I promptly filled out and faxed back and sent return mail registered. As of today 1/24/2019, they said they did not receive my fax which I sent 48 hours ago. Getting the runaround. Need a provisional credit so that I can pay medical bills and prescriptions. Can you help with this matter?

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Had my money stolen this month, filed a claim. Been waiting weeks, still nothing. I'm on disability and needed that money to get by. Now I'm near homeless and my payee doesn't give a damn about fixing anything. Thanks a lot Direct Express. I hope to you all go to prison for the fraud you are creating and doing nothing about.

Direct Express Company Information