1.29/5
Based on 85 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: April 24, 2018

129 Direct Express Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 24, 2018

I have had my card declined many times. Today as well as another time I had to buy groceries, went to Walmart like I Always do to pay bills, shop and grocery shop. Card declined! There's $209.00 in the account and finally had to use my Credit Card at $65.00 interest each month. I will have a higher daily rate because they declined it 3 times tonight Again... You can't do anything, they do not care and it's too costly for people struggling to make ends meet. They give 1 free atm cash out as well as being charged to use it about every place I go anymore.

At USPS I'm not allowed to get cash back anymore as Direct Express stopped that too. We can't afford this card. The numbers rub off on a brand new card, can't read it and when you get a new one the old letters are almost completely worn off. No customer service and a redundant message every time you call giving you months of your direct deposits. Stupid, costly and they could care less. Bad choice by SSA and seems like it costs them more to force use of this card. Anything to charge a consumer these days just like every other Business today.

Original review: April 15, 2018

Recently I tried to withdraw funds from my account only to find out that it was locked because of suspected fraud attempt. While thankful for this, I was never notified and no declined transactions are on my account history. This incident occurred on 3/26/18 and I found out on 3/30/18. This delay and the information given to me by their representatives cost over $25.00 since I had to have the new card expedited only to find out later I was able to receive a cardless wire transfer through MoneyGram. While I was fortunate enough to not fraudulent transactions to dispute, the failure to disclose all transactions, I was unaware of the identity theft. I could have saved both fees if I had known of the incident sooner. It's sad how they treat customer.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Debit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 15, 2018

I open a dispute on November 11 2018 and as of February of this year I got the letter saying that I won my dispute and my provisional credit will be issue as permanent credit here. It is April 15 and my account still saying neg balance. I call and spoke to level two. They say issue a tracker and some even say they will even email their supervisor and to get it resolve to see why I haven't got the money. They all see the same thing where the dispute was won in my favor so why I haven't gotten my money and sometimes I can't reach them because sometimes I get hung up on because high call volume. I feel like no one is looking into this. It just sitting there and I haven't got a phone call. No email, no mail, nothing. Just when I keep checking my balance thinking it been resolve it hasn't. I really need to be look into because this doesn't make any sense. It shouldn't have to take almost four months to get your money back.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I was recently hacked. Direct Express allowed 27 fraudulent withdrawals from my account. They never contacted me while this was back to back charges from NM. I've had account for over 1 year. My transactions never reflect any activity of this nature. When I discovered this I was told all I could do was report card stolen. I got new card along with a letter stating it would take 90 days. I have bad health. I have Dr appointments, treatments, and can't pay my rent, subject to be evicted, can't pay car insurance or payment. They have no option to get thru to fraud dept. I talked to many supervisors that promised to put me thru but due to heavy call volume was disconnected. Then they have nerve to charge me 4$ to replace card.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I recently had my information stolen and promptly reported it to Direct Express. I was sent a dispute package in the mail. I received notice that the merchants had provided adequate paperwork stating that I had authorized the transactions, which I did not! They then told me to pursue the merchants myself to recover my money, which is nearly impossible. I was initially credited the money when I disputed the charges, which was quickly revoked upon their erroneous findings. When I checked my statement, I discovered many errors in their system, where money was credited twice and removed, then credited again and removed again, then there were supposed amounts that were credited and removed that didn't exist. In summary, I'm leaving Direct Express ASAP. DON'T TRUST THEM!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Express?

Original review: March 30, 2018

I had an issue not with Direct Express but with ATM belong to 7/11. I tried to get 400$ and the ATM wouldn't let me so I went to the other one and it tells me I don't have enough money so I went home, I checked my account and it shows that 7/11 took the money but it did not give it to me, so I called Direct Express and I explained the situation. After 5 days my money came thru with no issues.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I would not recommend DIRECT EXPRESS to anyone in my family, friends etc. Direct express has poor customer service and is unhelpful when you ask them something. I DO NOT TRUST THEM and I don't think you should either.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I had ordered a new card after seeing purchases that I hadn't made. Paid the extra money for two day delivery only to have it take 5 days to reach me anyway. They didn't refund that money...but Ok. Then when I received it 5 days later which was the day AFTER my Social Security check was deposited to the account only .58 was in the account. They tell me that someone took it from an ATM on a brand new, never opened, never activated account. Then they say, "We will send you a packet to report the fraud." That never came... "But that even though we are fully aware that you could not have used or taken the money it will be at least 90 days before you will get any money back." Didn't receive packet. Never got money back.

Each time I called was transferred back and forth between level 1 and level 2 and hung up on no less than 20 separate occasions and was told there was no supervisor and that there were no alternatives, no recourse, nothing to be done but to cancel the card again...and I suppose hope for the best the next month. Lost everything because Direct Express is dirty as hell and I am beginning to think they are part of the scam. Nobody works this hard to protect criminals unless they are one of them. Just Sayin'. Also have a relative that reports very similar circumstance. If any of you know an attorney willing to take this on... Please I beg of you. I didn't deserve to have this happen to me and then the people who are supposed to be securing my money to treat me as if I was at fault and be so hostile and rude? Something has to be done about these people and fast!

Original review: March 8, 2018

This is the most horribly, inefficiently run company ever! Chase Bank in New York checked my account to see if we could take $1,000.00 with no service charges. The teller confirmed we could withdraw with no charges, but never took the money from DIRECT EXPRESS! Spoke with branch manager at Chase; she did a review of transactions for that date and found no discrepancies. Yet, DIRECT EXPRESS has debited $1,000.00 from my account.

Submitted a bad review and got a condescending, token response from some female executive from Direct Express! I submitted an investigation and finally received a letter stating they could find no error!!! So, again, I called Direct Express and was hung up on by their phone system!!! This is the worst company, managing MILLIONS or BILLIONS of dollars of Social Security Money and they have a HORRIBLE WEBSITE! DONALD TRUMP: PLEASE FIRE DIRECT EXPRESS!!!

Original review: March 7, 2018

I had my funds stolen off my card, which my card number was stolen on 3/2/18, I got unauthorized purchases on my card and been trying to open up an dispute with a level 2 representative, but with these high volume of calls is making it impossible for me to get my money back. I am tired of getting the runaround and running into this high volume call answering machine. I got bills to pay. I ain't got time to play no phone tag with these fools. I want my money back. They need to open more lines cuz one line is so ridiculous! This dispute needs to get going as soon as possible!

Original review: March 1, 2018

They said my card was being investigated, they have not told me why and they have my money. Please help me with this. I have moved and all my mail isn't came in yet. So my phone number is **. I have been watching for someone to call me for three days now. They have all my money. I HAVE RENT TO PAY. I cannot pay a late fee. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

I have had problems with this card for over 4 months. I am homeless have no money. Social Security issued Direct Express debit card. Law states social security has to be there by the date it's supposed to be. I contacted Social Security. They said once they released the funds it's not their problem. There is nothing they can do. What a bunch of crap. I have had various conversations with Direct Express. Comerica sponsors the card but the gentleman I talked to said "he has no clue who they are." He had worked there 3 years. I asked Direct Express. They cannot say who they work for, who is the employer. The address is p.o. box out of San Antonio Tx. The Better Business Bureau doesn't know either.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

My account's been tampered with by unauthorized activity on card on the 1st to some place called Edgar International. A new card was issued, then shortly after I got the NEW card, it started happening again but this time it declined. I never lost the card nor was it stolen to begin with. I tried to resolve it by going in to ss office, and they said it was nothing they could do. I called and all they did was issue me a new card and the same issue... WTF is going on, never had this problem until now.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

What a nightmare! I understand they have to be careful in this situation BUT how do they expect me to fill out the paperwork accurately and get it back in 10 business days when the paper statement they sent me has mistakes on it? And for one of them to say to me “allegedly” to me I think is unacceptable to say the least. They should call it “go broke trying to prove you’re not a thief”. My card info was hacked and that’s scary BUT dealing with them is worse. I called them on the 2nd but they put the start date as the 6th. Nobody can tell me how that happened. I’m now waiting their decision. I’m curious to know HAS ANYONE been able to beat the two days and get ALL of their money back? I know I’m too late but I wish everyone good luck!!!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I'm still waiting to get my money since September 4th of 2017. I save my money for two months to get a place to live to only have it all took from me but Direct Express said they were giving it back to me cause they see what happen.. well it's been months and I still haven't seen anything. It done put me on the streets, borrowing money thinking I'll be able to pay back... Do anyone ever get their money back or have any good experience from this company? I mean how what do I need to do to resolve all this? I mean I talk to a lawyer by all this he telling me he goes to talk to the news get the news involved... Is this the only way to be heard?

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

On 12/30/2017 My husband tried to use the ATM. He noticed that there was no money coming out. He thought it was something he was doing wrong. He was slightly inebriated (lol)! He tried a few more times and then he got mad at the owners of the store he was in. The police were called and they told him to show them what the problem was because he was excited. Then he tried to get the money out again and the officers gave him a sheet of paper with the owner of the ATM's number on it and their badge numbers. I filed a dispute with Direct Express and received a provisional credit. When my husband got his benefits on the 1st, His check was 180.00 short!

They took the provisional credit back! The owner of the ATM sent them paperwork that said that the ATM was in working order and everything added up! THIS IS A LIE because the officers themselves saw that there was no money coming out! I called Direct Express and they told him to find new information and they would reopen the case about the money. The owner of the atm told me that the case was closed even if I got the officers to call him. I am going to also get a notarized letter and the next one is a class action lawsuit that is going to include everyone that has been put in a bad situation because of Direct Express! It's not fair and someone has to pay!!! Anybody interested in class action suit please contact me at **! I will sue for damages and the right to ask that the government uses another provider other than this one! The customer service sucks and somebody is stealing!!!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

This is the third time in just over a year that my account has been hacked. The last time was one month ago. This time all my money was withdrawn from 3101 West Tennessee ATM. And all on the same day as my deposit. I am in Florida!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

Well everyone, for one it is unfortunate that we all have these negative experiences with Direct Express and even more unfortunate that we all can't come together and share our bad experiences and form a group to protest to Washington. My experience is written a few times here and it discusses the sly way my account was compromised. I was lucky to the fact that I reacted quickly to save my money. If I hadn't by now I would've been on the streets. My apartment complex has no grace period and more than that has no compassion. So since the person that was able to compromise my account has nothing but a cancelled credit card had help from the inside. Yes, I'm saying Direct Express. From what I have gathered speaking with them for approx. 4 hrs. throughout the week, this is the only answer.

Quick recap, my account was placed on temporary restriction because a phone number not associated with mine phoned in and tried to obtain my balance. On 1/23/18 I phoned in at 10 a.m. to make certain my account was o.k. At 10p.m. I went to ATM to draw my money out and my card was reported lost. A new card was ordered in my name to be delivered to me on 1/25/18. I had no idea that he had opened a UPS My Choice account in my name on 1/17/18. I obtained tracking for the card on 1/24/18, called UPS and said scheduled for delivery 1/25/18 by day end. Logged on to UPS. on 1/25 and said to be delivered by day end. It was delivered at 6:33p.m. east coast time and I am west coast. Wasn't at my door. I looked further to the tracking and read that my card was rerouted to Florida on the 24th. I called Direct Express and immediately shut card down before they activated it.

How did I come to the conclusion that it's an inside job? 1st off he called in to obtain balance, 2nd he called in and shut account off on 1/23 at 5:33p.m. and ordered a new card. 3rd he had to call in to obtain tracking number in order to reroute the card and fourth he had to call in to attempt to activate it. Yes, he called on 1/17 and 1/23 but not on 1/24 to obtain tracking number and yes he called in to try and activate it. Someone inside was able to give him the tracking number. 2nd when a card is sent to you, wouldn't you assume that there are restrictions that the card is not to be rerouted except the shipper? No, he knew that my card had no restrictions attached to it. He knew this on the 17th when he opened the UPS account in my name.

The very last thing that tops the cake is that I am disabled. I had a very expensive heart operation without insurance and my credit is crap! I stay in my home and don't go anywhere. My social security number is compromised. I haven't applied for anything in years. Only 1 entity has my Direct Express card number and my social security number along with my address, phone number, etc. I emailed my senator for help because the U.S. Treasury Dept. of Fiscal Services controls Direct Express but doesn't investigate them.

BTW Senator Masto did nothing! I tried every entity of the government that I could to have the government investigate. No such entity from what I found. 60 million a month goes through Direct Express without being monitored, don’t you think that it's strange that you can enter your S.S. into a phone to obtain your balance? Is their phone system hacked? Are they doing anything about from what they say is the most elaborate scam ever?

I did the legwork, I called the police in Florida and filed a report. I called UPS and filed a report, I called FTC and identity theft and filed a report. I have 10% of my heart and have thoroughly exhausted myself trying to get to the bottom of this. The only thing that I was able to accomplish is for them to believe me that I wasn't the one that lost my card and did this and second my account is on high alert and for any changes to take place they have to go to the social security office. Woopee! When I spoke of this internal leak or mole of theirs, they changed the subject. The only thing that I can see that is important is that Air Force one gets 24 million dollars’ worth of 2 refrigerators installed and not replacing the money that many people have lost due to the negligence of Direct Express.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

It is a debit card, so you can use it to purchase items, however, if you wish to access the funds such as to pay bills, they charge you $1.50 to transfer the funds to your checking account. Takes about a week. So now the benefits are done, I have carefully removed the funds, leaving the $1.50, and I want to close the account. FAQ says to call their customer service #. Yet the menu selections do not let you access this service, nor does it clearly get you to someone. And they hang up on you if you try more than 3 menu items. I have been hung up on 3 times. Each time I had to enter the card number just to be kicked out. The last time I got kicked out because of heavy call volume. Not worth any more of my time. Do Direct Deposit if you can.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

Majority of time when I call the line is so busy I am kicked off. When I do get through, when I am transferred, the line is dropped. It is impossible to get through to someone, I have been trying for 2 months. When I finally reached someone today, I asked about emailed statements, because we need it for emergency services, I was told by a supervisor they do not email statements, only standard mail, and that I should make an online account with Direct Express, however the online site only gives the last 4 months statements, so you have no access to statements before that, period! When I complained that we should have access to OUR OWN STATEMENTS, I was told there was nothing they could do. This service is TRASH. I don't understand how a service offered by Social Security, can be so bad.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I had a few issues with so I had to call Direct Express, I didn't have an issue getting anyone on the phone. The few time I called that day, but honestly, most of the people who did answer were about as helpful as a blanket in the desert sun, hence the MULTIPLE phone calls to resolve 1 issue! Completely short, rude and all around indignant. They acted like it was a bother to them to answer my questions and explain things to me about my own money! As if they weren't getting paid to do just that! They almost act as if they think they're better than you. The one woman pretty much told me if I didn't like their policies that I should just get a "real" bank like most people.

I hung up on her after that remark. I did end up calling back and was lucky enough to speak to a young man who was very helpful and explained things to me clearly and kindly. Of course he was the exception and in no way reflects the way the larger portion of this company's employees and practices really are. It's quite sad that the Federal Government would entrust so very much money to a company who's done so very little to earn anyone's trust... whom in fact, has quite apparently given a lot of people reason to feel suspicious toward them and their shady "policies". Just Sad.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Worst company ever. Right after my daughter's SSI money was deposited on her card this month, it was stolen by someone in San Francisco (we live in Los Angeles). I filed a dispute and was told it can take up to 90 days for her to get her money back! No bank or credit card company that I've ever dealt with has ever taken that long! What's sad is that this is people's sole income and they are disabled so who can wait that long to pay rent or bills? How do they expect people to go that long without money? I immediately got direct deposit for her but, I'm just very sad that Social Security entrusted this company with their funds knowing their crooked, unethical practices.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

My mother has a card with Direct Express. On January 3, 2018 her SSD payment was deposited to her card but she was unable to withdraw money at an ATM nor was she able to use it for POS transactions. When she called Direct Express she was told that there was a fraud suspension on her account but also stated that she could access her money at a Walmart money center or she could use it as a credit transaction. Today she tried to pay her copay at the doctor's office but the card declined. She called them again and was told that her account was compromised and that they were issuing her a new card. When she asked the rep when the fraud took place the rep became indignant and belligerent and refused to provide my mom with the info. Then the rep insisted that my mom take her off speakerphone. My mom asked to speak to a supervisor and the rep hung up.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

The Direct Express card keeps saying invalid pin. I've had this card for two years now so I know my pin and never had a problem. Ever since the money was deposited on the card I haven't been able to withdraw it. Nobody answers all of the numbers I've found to get through. All I was hoping for was a human being to speak with to reset the pin or whatever to get the money. This crap has put us in a bad predicament where I had to take a loan just to pay the rent. My job pays for my car and other bills (which I don't make much being a single mom.)

It's really messed up how they allowed this and don't even call, email, or help anyone. I've learned my lesson and will have an account instead of using this piece of crap card. You've made my life harder with this glitch, lockdown, or whatever is going on. Let people know and fix this situation! Does anybody have any phone numbers, email addresses, any info about correcting this so I can get my money? Does anyone know any magic to get a hold of a person from Direct Express?

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

I had to pay a company called Ciliv. Settlement charge 300.00. Paid off 3 month. Found out the company had no business taking. Contact Direct Express to get refund. No luck. What a crock of bull. Gave all information to them then I request the information back. They said they could not help. No the other trying to get for criminal intent. I pulled my account. Went back to the back. Stay away from them. If I could I give them a F for failure.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Employees at Direct Express posted my disability benefits early to a place in Indiana where I do not live while I was in a nursing home recovering from three strokes I had. And thieves were at the EXACT place at the EXACT time and stole all of my benefits for the entire month. This means someone at Direct Express is stealing from disabled people.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Do not ever get one of these cards. You can not get a person on the phone. You can call them all day and night and they will not pick up. They hang up on you. Mine is suspended due to fraud and can't report it.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

If there was a negative star rating, I would give this company a -100! Hudhomesusa.com and Direct Express has debited my account for 49.90 a month without my authorization from 12-2016 to 9-2017. When I contacted Direct Express about this and filed a complaint, they were rude and found in favor on their own behalf. I did NOT approve anyone to take money from my measly disability payment. I am blind and had no way to see what they were doing for at least 6 months only because I happen to check my account on the day it was deposited and heard this charge for the first time. This is a bogus setup to rip disabled people off. I wish someone would investigate these rude ripoff scam artists!!! We are helpless against this ripoff corporation.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

My experience has been HORRIBLE!!! First it took me 3 days to talk to a human to report the fraudulent charges on my card. Would push 3 to transfer and phone would go dead over and over again! Then was told to call back in couple of days to get SR#? WTH?! Fraud happened 12/1&2. It's now 12/7 and I finally have an SR# and cancel card, have new one issued. I finally received forms and new card on 12/16, last Saturday, 9 days later!!! I called them again and asked them how they expected me to get them BACK to them by 12/21... 10 business days, no clue!

So I overnight expressed them, at a cost of $27, so they would get them by Tuesday. It's now 12/22 and I STILL don't have my "provisional credit"!!! I made the police report on Monday and called that info in to them as well. Police said my card was "cloned" and used in CO and UT and they were reviewing the video footage of the store purchases. That should be proof enough that these charges were FRAUDULENT! BUT they "claim" they STILL have NOT "received" the stinking FORMS! LIARS!

All the times I called and actually spoke to a human they were RUDE! I had to keep being transferred to a supervisor to get anywhere. It took a supervisor to take the police report info because the guy on Level 2 insisted that info could NOT be added. How sick is that? I have now called my congressman, and both senators for my state. My congressman's office is contacting the Treasury Dept to see if they can do anything for me. The person I spoke with said he has a contact there so we'll see. I'm a fighter and will NOT take this lying down! The government needs to do away with Direct Express and PRONTO!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

It's scary to think that our government-issued money is being handled by a bunch of hamsters. Direct Express is the MOST PATHETIC card system, website and app I have EVER encountered. Customer service DOES NOT EXIST. The website is ALWAYS DOWN...and they blame the user... BS. How am I supposed to pay MY BILLS ON TIME. I can't even log on with ALL the CORRECT information, plus most places won't even accept this card. I know why... It's a joke!!! I am disabled, I don't have transportation, now I have to WALK in freezing temps, ice and snow to find an ATM to HOPEFULLY DRAW out enough cash to pay my bills. PEOPLE... THIS HAS GOT TO CHANGE!!! I am writing some officials, maybe Trump will get something done about this life threatening situation.

Direct Express Company Information