Find a Prepaid Cards partner

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

About Direct Express

Direct Express is a prepaid card that gives you access to your federal benefits regardless of whether you have a bank account. If you receive federal benefits and want a secure way to store and use your funds, Direct Express’ easy-to-use debit card gives you simple access and is accepted at many locations.

Pros

• All funds are FDIC-insured
  • No bank account necessary
  • Works where Mastercard is accepted

Cons

• No lines of credit or loans available

Bottom Line

Direct Express gives federal benefits recipients an easy way to access funds without needing a bank account. The majority of federal funds are eligible for use with Direct Express, and its application process is simple and free.

Top Direct Express Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I actually feel safe with this card because it is an extension of the disability/social security dept and the app they have is so useful and convenient way to get your balance and...

Verified

I love this card. I don't have very many issues and if I do customer service takes care of it. Seeing all these bad reviews I felt I should share my experience. My card was cloned...

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

What is Direct Express?

Direct Express gives consumers access to their federal funds through its convenient and secure debit card. You could be eligible for Direct Express’ card if you receive funding from one of the following government agencies:

• Coast Guard
  • Social Security Administration
  • Department of the Treasury
  • Veterans Affairs
  • Veterans Health Administration

You can use your Direct Express card just like a debit card at ATMs and stores that accept Mastercard. To sign up for Direct Express’ debit card, call the company's enrollment center or visit your local federal paying agency. Direct Express doesn’t require a credit check or minimum balance to sign up.

Direct Express rates and fees

Most of Direct Express’ services are free, but there are some fees associated with certain services, including:

• Direct Express Cash Access: 85 cents per transaction
  • Funds transfer: $1.50 per transfer
  • Card replacement: $4
  • Foreign purchase fees: 3% of the purchase price

You can cancel your Direct Express account at any time at no cost by calling the company's customer service office.

Direct Express FAQ

What bank does Direct Express use?
Direct Express uses Comerica. The Treasury Department announced a five-year agreement with Comerica as its financial agent in January 2020.
How long does it take to get a Direct Express card in the mail?
Applicants receive their Direct Express cards within seven to 14 days after approval. Once you receive your card, your federal payments automatically deposit to it.
Can I put money on my Direct Express card?
No, you can’t put money on your Direct Express card. The only funds you can access or have on your Direct Express card are those from the government.
How do I contact Direct Express customer service?
You can contact Direct Express’ customer service representatives by calling its customer service hotline.

Is Direct Express worth it?

Direct Express’ basic services are free, and its card doesn’t require a credit check or minimum balance. If you receive federal benefits from Social Security, the Department of Veterans Affairs or another government agency, the Direct Express card makes it easier for you to access and easily use your funds.

Direct Express Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Express?

Original review: July 13, 2021

I placed my card in a bank Machine and it shut down on me not dispersing money saying it did. My experience with Direct Express this past week has been positive. They walked me through the steps and The representatives were understanding; polite and extremely helpful. They are on top of issues that arise in such a timely manner.

Original review: May 3, 2021

My account was hacked and $1003 was fraudulently withdrew. I filed a Dispute, sent all the proper paperwork (police report, their questionnaire, etc.) within the 10 days they required, but DirectExpress DENIED it. They said the Dallas address was mine and I couldn't prove otherwise. I've been with DirectExpress since 09, at this address I live now for over 6 years. New cards kept coming (3 in all) and then being canceled, hell 2 arrived already canceled. All the time DirectExpress was charging my account into the negative numbers.

Now you would think after sending me at least 3 cards at my proper address they would get the hint where I live, but DirectExpress kept saying the address they have on file is the Dallas one. I finally found an Agent that was smart enough to lock down my account, so now I had to prove with SSI Office who I am in order to unlock my account. Thank goodness I got with an Agent at the SSI office that was smart enough to get this nightmare figured out.

I now am waiting on my new card (different address) and hopefully it's going to work out. I am most definitely getting the hell out of dodge when I finally get my SSDI money. I don't recommend DirectExpress for the way they handled my situation. A real human is almost impossible to reach and when you do, they won't know what the other end is doing. This is my story...

Get buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2021

I am so disappointed with you, Consumer Affairs and so frustrated with Direct Express! I submitted a review on 12/28/20. To date I have not heard a peep out of either one of you! You have TOTALLY destroyed my faith in believing that what you proclaim to represent is just a complete farce! I am a disabled senior citizen. I have received ZERO $ for 5 months now due to Direct Express's ineptness. And you have shown me that you have no ethics nor compassion! I intend to contact the media if I have not heard from you by Monday, 1/18. This is ample time for you to respond. I have pen in hand, so to speak, in regards to contacting the media! I am so VERY disappointed in your complete lack of professionalism and empathy!!!

Vaive

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

I see all the negative reviews but my experience was actually good. My card showed a charge I didn’t do of .60. They immediately locked my card while they said transactions continued to try to go through from GERMANY! I’m glad they noticed it immediately and locked my card. I called, verified my card, and they canceled it and sent out a new one out for free and gave me free express shipping. Had they not noticed my card was compromised I would’ve had to wait a lot longer and possibly lost money. I did however have to wait 3 hours on hold to talk to them which is why I took a star off.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

I have used this card for over 5 years. I have found it to be one of the most reliable cards to use and with no fees to draw money out or to use the card. As long as you use accepting Bank that is conjoined with Direct Express. Which is the US Bank. Very quick and friendly service when using customer representative.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2021

The worst entity imaginable. It's next to impossible to get them on the phone. You call and you'll get a message that they have high call volumes, to please try later and you get that for weeks at a time. There's no other number to call. I've been stuck because I took an Uber ride somewhere and then I couldn't get a ride back because my card was no longer being accepted even though I just gotten paid. They had a glitch to where they were declining everybody's payments whether they were on the day that everyone got paid a few months ago. I mean people were weren't able to pay their rent. People were at the grocery stores. People were traveling and their cards were locked up and no way to get them on the phone. I hate them. They should be arrested.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

I switched from BOA to Direct Express. It was one of the worst experiences of my life!! I thought it would make life easier. But, NO ONE will accept this card when paying bills!! The very first month I tried to use it it was rejected everywhere: car insurance, life insurance, cable/internet, utilities, every single place I tried to make a payment they would not accept this card. It is considered a "pre-paid" debit card and cannot be used to pay bills. I am so glad I did not close down my BOA account because I immediately had to pull the money off of the Direct Express Card and deposit it into my BOA account in order to pay my bills. I had to call Social Security and have them transfer my monthly deposits back to BOA. Please save yourself some time and a major headache and avoid going through what I went through. It was a nightmare!!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

I have been trying to talk to someone about a transaction and I’m on my 4th day of calling. I have even called in the middle of the night. They don’t have a waiting for a live person option. I get that the call volume is very high and to call again!

Original review: July 30, 2021

The Direct Express is the most criminal company out there. Scamming and stealing money from the card holders. Direct Express makes 0 attempts in trying to help with any dispute and won't even try to hide the fact that they are just phishing for your information! Direct Express makes it nearly impossible to reach anyone other than customer service. The "supervisor" never calls back nor have I ever actually spoken to said "supervisor". Don't give out any info to the call center and don't send any pictures or info through the email that they provide for you.

Original review: July 29, 2021

Direct Express has the worst reps. Ever and the supervisor Alexia has no clue or care what’s going on! Nothing but trouble since the first day I got this card! I’ve had 2 issues with card, I called company, they put blocks on your card before you even tell them the problem, then they want to reissue a new card for 14$ which I did pay one time because I needed my money, their 2nd mistake, waited a month for a card, this has been 3 weeks now waiting for a new card, because I refused to pay for a 3rd card... yep card is getting thrown away and going back to my bank...

Direct Express Company Information