1.23/5
Based on 75 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

149 Direct Express Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

The debit cards are terrible. They work but 75% of the time. I have to swipe or insert my card more than once at least 60% of the time. Their cards aren't taken by some online services because they are prepaid cards. These cards eventually stop working. Anyway, I noticed my card was nearing the end of its swiping/inserting life cycle because it was not working more often. I called Direct Express yesterday, 8/17/18, to request a new card. Supposedly a new card was sent out already on 8/13. I was floored! I didn't personally make that request. They confirmed the shipping address to make sure it's going to the correct place. Then they tell me why I'm getting a new card. Apparently their systems may have been compromised so they were sending me a new card. I find this to be suspicious, so everyone watch out. How can we trust banks anymore?

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I would like to share the few experiences that I ran into while dealing with this company. I am a realtor, and my client is an Direct Express customer. While trying to just get my clients bank statements, so that we can underwrite his new home, we encountered a website that only prints out transaction summaries, and then when calling the customer service, they would not email or fax any bank statements. They said we have to mail them. So, they did, but they forgot to include the last page on two of the statements.

We called again, asked to speak to a supervisor, this time, we were on a three way call with my client, the loan officer, and Direct Express. Again, the supervisor said, that they could only mail them. We said that we just need to inform whoever mails it this time, includes the missing pages. We were told, they don't do that. We asked to speak with her supervisor. After a long wait. This woman gets on with the loan officer and my client, and we start to explain again, that all we need is the last page of the statement. Can't you fax, or email this to save time? After all, it was your company that didn't send the whole statement? This women wasted no time. She said, "Are you on a three way call?" We said, "Yes". She said, "We don't allow three way calling."

We said that all we need is the last page of the statement to process my clients loan? She repeated, "We don't allow three way calling", and then hung up! To make matters worse the pages that we need don't have anything written on them. It would just be page 4 of 4, because the bank statement stated 1-4 pages. They were rude, arrogant, and left their own customer dangling because of their mistake. There are mortgage commitment dates and a settlement date that may not be met because of this absurd policy and incompetence. My client will be removing his money from this bank, and I would strongly urge anyone that uses this bank, to do the same. Horrible attitude and service.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Debit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

On Monday 8-13-2018 I discovered that my Direct Express account was cleaned out last Saturday 8-11-2018. Someone called Direct Express ordered a new card and then was allowed to take my money. They requested Direct Express grant them card less benefits, without verifying it was me. Direct Express did nothing to verify it was me, no security questions or phone call to prove it was me. I just activated a new card last Thursday and it didn't seem suspicious, they have been contacted about this happening by other Direct Express customers, yet they allowed it to be done again. I was taken for $4.00 card replacement fee and $563.33 MoneyGram with a $12.00 fee, in total it comes to $579.33. I will be taking legal actions against them and Comerica Bank.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

My SSI gets direct deposited onto my direct express card on the 1st of every month! Well on Aug 1, 2018 I called to verify that funds were available to pay my bills. Recording said that I had requested a new card and this one was now deactivated and new card had been issued. Confused I called to say I never requested a new card that mine was working fine! Too late, have to wait for new card now. Well the card didn’t come in mail till Aug 9th. When I called to activate new card it didn’t have my money on it.

So I spoke to a representative to see why. It seems that someone claiming to be me used my account to request a MoneyGram over the phone and withdraw $738.00 out of my account (on Aug 5th) before I had even received the card in the mail or activated it! How is this even possible??? From the posts below I see that I’m not the only one that this has happened to this month! Get it together Direct Express! Someone is scamming your company at our expense! Fix this and give me my money back ASAP! Living on a fixed income is no laughing matter! We barely have enough to survive but with issues like this happening we will all end up homeless!!!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I called to request an expedited replacement card. I notified them during the call of my address change. Was willing to pay the 13.50 to have my card in 2 business days. Sat at home the entire day for UPS. Rec’d notification that the driver attempted to deliver, but no one home. Called UPS and is covered that Direct Express gave UPS wrong address. Requested new card which would arrive 2 days after my rent was due. The rep said she would submit a fee reversal ticket for the initial 13.50 and the second ticket for 13.50 +4.00 card replacement fee. She said it would take 5 business days, so to call back after the 10th if not resolved. I asked why it would be investigated since the 1st rep clearly sent to wrong address and she said she couldn’t guarantee it and that they would listen to recording. I stated that I was disabled, not stupid because I know my address.

She transferred me to MoneyGram so that I could get some cash via MoneyGram on the 5th so as not to pay my rent late. That was another 12.00 fee, not to mention the cost in gas to receive it at the closest Walmart. I called on the 11th and was told that there were never any tickets submitted. The rep apologized a dozen times, but refused to explain why they weren’t submitted. 13.50x2+4.00=31.00. That’s quite a hefty fee to be charged for someone on a limited income. I chose Direct Express because the VA recommended them as well as SSD. I am ok with paying the $12.00 for the MoneyGram, but I’m not ok with paying a total of $43.00 because of a mistake clearly caused by an incompetent rep and then to be lied to by another rep who wasted my time with the fee reversal ticket that wasn’t even submitted because of laziness.

I wonder if the VA or the SS office is aware of how Direct Express scams and lies to their customers who are trying to survive on limited incomes. I’m going to open a checking acct next month and be done with this company. I cannot believe that they would refuse to reverse a fee when they’re at fault or lie and say they submitted the fee? I am ok with paying a single fee because I lost my card, but I’m not ok with paying 4 fees because of their incompetence and laziness. C’mon Direct Express, do the right thing by your veterans and the disabled. This is so wrong on so many levels!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Express?

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

Our social security check gets put on this card one a month. On Aug 2 a phone call was placed to this company stating that it was me and that I lost my card and wanted the company to send a money gram. The only verification Direct Express made to the person verify that is was supposedly me was name, address and SSN. Direct Express then sent my funds to a person claiming to be me over the phone, the person then received every penny in my acct just by knowing those three pieces of my info and just like that my acct was emptied.

As a disabled veteran I am beyond upset that there was not a follow up call to make sure it was me or even a pass or pin on my acct. Do not use this company. It is not protected and you will become victim to identity thief And your money gone. I had to freeze all my accts, file a police report and make numerous phone calls to Direct Express in which has done nothing to get me answers. I'm beyond sicken that one a person would steal my money and to the person I trust to hold my money would not have strict policies protecting me and my social security money. Direct Express should be investigated for their polices and releasing unauthorized funds.

And the social security dept should be rethinking putting their trust into this company. I bet this has defiantly happened in the past! Why was no follow up call made after they said damaged card or why does this company require a pin or password when you call to make or request new cards to help protect against things like this?!?

All a person had to do is call up, use my name, SSN, and address. Say card was damaged. Didn't even need to know the card number, request a Money Gram be sent, go and get the funds. It's absolutely insane the lack of protection and Negligence Direct Express has. I almost think it was inside job. I can't even pay my cell phone bill without a passcode but this company just gives your money away cause you know the address and claim your card is damaged. It is absolute madness!!! Do not use the company for anything and social security office should be ashamed they require people to use them instead of getting paper checks. Beyond disgusted.

Original review: July 16, 2018

My experience I read exactly has happened to me that I just read about a 64 year old man. I went to Chase Bank and I went and withdrew $300 and the money never came out. I called Direct Express. They sent me a package. Told me that if I filled it out and sent it back within 10 business days I will get provisional credit to my account until they finish their investigation. Today is the 10th business day and there's nothing on my account. I'm tired of them saying they understand how I feel. They have no clue how I feel.

I am living on a fixed income. That was more than half of what I get every month and they tell you that there's no way of being connected to these people that decide what they're going to give you and when they're going to give it to you and it is true they tell you that it's not guaranteed and that you might have to wait. None of that is said on the paper that's mailed to you. It is misrepresentation and they know it and I believe they purposely trained these people on the phone not to be able to talk to them because they don't want to have to deal with us cuz they know what they're doing is wrong.

I have doctor's appointments and medical things that I have to go to. I don't have no family and nobody to ask help from and I still have to wait another two and a half weeks before the first of the month and when I tell them that they say, "I'm sorry I understand." They don't understand nothing. I agree with that man. They lie. They scam and they say anything.

I believe they just want their paperwork and that's the way to lure you in because you would leave. You're going to get your money ahead of time and then when the time comes they have these people trained to lie. I'm about to call Channel 7 On Your Side and report them and let them see how they handle that because we're all victims to this company and somebody's got to take a stand for all of us and I think I'm going to be the one to do it.

Original review: July 15, 2018

4 charges were obvious fraud, I canceled the card during an Uber trip charged for $200! Charge had to go through then I protest the charge. I was told, "What a crock," I filed police report, filed fraud forms & submitted to Direct Express fraud dept in the allotted time. The investigator DANIEL, whom I've left 3 messages on his voicemail 8 days ago and promised a call back within 24-48 hours, NOT! Declined fraud because I had used my card with Uber a previous time? And the other at Walmart.com, not used on my account or email there, denied because I have a Walmart.com account! Hello Daniel, come back to planet Earth! So do 200 million other people! What a lazy derelict! Not to mention I think Comerica Bank and Direct Express is a scam and SOMEONE (s) are getting very very wealthy on taxpayers' backs!

Original review: July 2, 2018

First of all Direct Express is forced on you at the Social Security office otherwise no one would even engage with these people. They're a bunch of low down double talkin no customer satisfaction Bandits. For instance if you want to find an ATM with a free withdrawal without having to pay $3 you best look long and hard because there's two and one of them is closed after 9 to 5 so you can see how accessible your money is. 2 you can't add anything to your account. You can't make a deposit. You can't transfer. You can't do anything. All you can do is get your money from Social Security.

Next and what really Burns me up is their little provisional credit system. They use like if you buy something from Amazon.com and you return it or cancel your order immediately Direct Express has said that they've issued a provisional credit for that money and they take 5 business days to return it to your account even though the money is never gone anywhere because Amazon doesn't withdraw the money from your account until they shipped the item. But yet they won't let the poor people that have so little money to their name to spend access it when they need it without putting them through all this rigmarole and then just try and call customer service and get any satisfaction because you won't.

All you'll get is a hard time someone reading you policy that you could have read off the pamphlet if they didn't have the prints so small and when you call anyway they say over, "Experiencing high volume of call. I'm sorry. Call back later." They're useless. I tell you the best thing I ever will do will be to take my deposit my direct deposit away from these people and put it anywhere else anywhere else Check Cashing Store Hustler on the corner. Anything provides more satisfaction than these people. These people are not for the consumer. Now tell me if I'm lying.

Original review: July 1, 2018

Direct Express double charge me for credit card and card fee three times. They said they would refund my money 3 times. They lied. They are refusing to give my money back. They admitted fault saying it was their fault and still no refund. Every time I contact them they say, "Oh will submit another form," but no refund.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I authorized a payment to AAA...$81.00. On my statement that Direct Express sent to me, they show an additional charge of $22.24, the same day I authorized the $81.00. Talking to Direct Express is like talking to a wall. They don't know why it shows two charges. I told them that all I was doing is reading what they sent me. I authorized a car insurance payment of $311.12...and the same day an additional charge was for $162.02. Now, the Direct Express says it is not what shows on their computer, but it does show up on my monthly statement. Why have a statement sent to me if it doesn't match what they have on their computer. The Direct Express people are unable, or won't, understand why I am contesting these charges. I told them I never authorized them. Oh, AAA said they only received the $81.00, car insurance only received $311.12, I wonder who got the additional money I was charged.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I have been a Direct Express debit card user for over 5 years and I have been illegally charged each time I use my debit card. I demand that Direct Express be investigated and prosecuted for illegal debit card charges. I further demand that Direct Express accounts be frozen and its owners be prosecuted. I demand $80,000 in damages which I plan to file in court.

Original review: June 5, 2018

When I tried to get funds from a Chase ATM, using my Direct Express debit card, the ATM did not dispense money but deducted the requested amount from my debit card. I looked online for all rules regarding use of the Direct Express debit card. It specifically states that when a dispute is filed, if the dispute form is filled out and received By Direct Express within 10-business days they snail-mail you the form but accept the completed form(s) to be faxed to them. (Why not fax (or email) the forms to us). It states that the investigation may take up to 45 days but, "a provisional" credit in the amount of the dispute will be put on the card.

Nowhere in the online Direct Express guidelines does it say that if all is met, "you may be eligible" for the provisional credit nor does it say, "there is "no guarantee" that you will receive the "provisional credit" (even though all factors have been met) but when you call Direct Express and talk with any representative, they all, without exception, toss in the "You may be eligible and there is no guarantee you will receive the provisional credit even if you meet all requirements as stated in the rules for card use!" I ask each rep that tosses in the "you may be eligible" and the "there is no guarantee" you will receive the provisional credit even though you meet all the guidelines. Where is the site that has those 2 provisional exceptions and none can tell me (because those 2 exceptions are "not!" Anywhere in the rules of debit card use! It specifically states if guidelines are met, a "provisional credit will be added to my card, period!

Every time I talk with any rep, they are condescending, tell me to shut up and talk to me like I'm a 9-year old boy! (I'm now 64!) It is truly amazing how reps can arbitrarily add things to the rules of card use and my blood pressure starts rising when I have to talk to any rep! After this dispute is settled, I am having my Direct Express changed to Chime Bank. (You can't even add funds to the Direct Express debit card! You are aware that this business falls under the guidance of the federal treasury (but try to talk with anyone about Direct Express because they have locked up the phone numbers so even when you contact treasury, they tell you to call Direct Express! What a racket!

I asked about my share of interest earned while Direct Express is in control of my funds (fixed income, etc) and they just laugh! Hey! While I'm waiting for my investigation to conclude, those funds are in an account controlled by Direct Express and only think it fair I receive my fair share of interest earned while I am deprived of my federal SSA benefits! If I was to rate this company (Direct Express) there isn't a negative number low enough!

Original review: June 2, 2018

On the 21st of May, 2018 I called to check the remaining balance on my CashPass card. I had switched FROM Direct Express originally in Minneapolis, Minnesota three years ago. The balance was $3.00 and some change. MOST, if not ALL Social Security recipients were issued this card eliminating paper checks. I did this to obtain a PayDay loan. However, in calling my CashPass card, the automated voice system had "trouble reading my card number." Maybe it expired. So I go to the Social Security Office in my neighborhood, they tell me to call Social Security and contact Direct Express. I did so. They mailed me a NEW Direct Express card. The remaining balance on my OLD card was transferred to my NEW card. The customer service representative said that my monthly benefits would be deposited on the NEW Direct Express Card. Mind you, this NEW Direct Express card has no balance, whatsoever. ZIP!

However, today, I called to confirm my earnings and it's revealed to be a -$10 balance. After calling SS, going to the administrative office, itself I was told

that my monthly benefits are NOT on the new card! SS is FEDERAL! It's obvious that there had to have been a deposit from the SS ADM. MADE to MY DIRECT EXPRESS card in order to have gone from a 0 to a $10 overdraft, right? My concern is how many other people are victims of what seems like fraud and systematic "privatization" of individuals receiving benefits... Like myself? This is a FEDERAL matter! Now, I have to wait a few days just to get my OWN money?! If even that soon? I smell a possible expose!

Original review: May 18, 2018

I've been receiving Social Security for only 5 months now and Social Security refused my direct deposit request, put my benefits on the Direct Express card without my permission. 2 payments were posted to the card without trouble but by the 3rd payment, the card was used for money transfers to Azerbaijan and for other purchases, none of which were done with the card, nor by me. Essentially, my benefits were stolen. I reported and disputed the transactions and was issued a new card. Most of the disputed transactions were reversed and money was returned but within a week, reimbursements were reversed, re-posted, reversed, etc, and after I'd removed the money, via ATM, at considerable transaction fees, Direct Express reversed the reimbursements again, resulting in an overdraft on the card!!! Again, my money is gone.

I contacted Direct Express to question the transactions and have been bluntly informed that the reimbursements are considered "provisional" and the returning the stolen money is (and I'm quoting) "at their discretion". Interestingly, the funds that are now being "reversed" (taken) are for amounts that I've never seen before, AND, customer service is reading off amounts that don't show on my online statement. Effectively, by over-drawing the account with frivolous and obviously contrived amounts, I am now at the mercy of Direct Express who is in the position of taking subsequent Social Security payments from me to compensate for their contrivances (which are, at this juncture, blatant theft).

I cannot understand why the Federal Government of the United States of America promotes this thievery, and allows it to continue. Complaints addressed to Direct Express are met with apathy and or condescending tones and attitudes. What causes me the greatest concern is that I'd applied for my Social Security 6 months in advance and received confirmation that direct deposit was established, only to receive the Direct Express card without my request, consent or application and am now being told that they will not release payments to direct deposit. The card is obviously not secure, easily hacked, and the number is obviously easily stolen. Extremely suspicious, at the very least.

Updated on 06/18/2018: Just received notice from Direct Express informing me that after an alleged "investigation" their documentation indicates that they "cannot confirm that fraud occurred" and that "transaction(s) in question were conducted with your authorization". The "transactions" were for approximately 400$ to be sent to a bank in Azerbaijan! "You may request a copy of the documents in[sic] which we relied..." Yes, I MAY request, but there's nobody to whom the request can be made and the customer service number (1-888-741-1115) and the direct number (**) for "Amanda" are useless.

Oddly enough, there are a multitude of complaints online, with both the Better Business Bureau and Consumer Affairs and yet, the theft continues, relentlessly. One truly has to wonder why no action is being taken to stop the theft which is now obviously "Grand Theft Larceny" (although, being the U.S. Federal Government, one could suppose the answer to that question is obvious).

Original review: May 15, 2018

On 1-3-2018 I went to Walmart in Toccoa, GA to obtain money order for my rent. To money order machine quit working as I was trying to obtain money order. Did not print receipt so service manager wrote me a handwritten receipt. I checked my balance there in Walmart and the money ($283.00) had been taken out of my account. Proceeded back to the apartment complex and deposited my money order at which time I checked by balance on Direct Express and it had been debited back to my account. Walmart called me and said the money order machine was working correctly now giving customer a receipt now. I proceeded to go back to Walmart to purchase another money order.

This time I got money order and receipt. Everything look ok. The 283.00 had been taken out of my Direct Express card account. This has been back and forth since 1-19-18 when I filed a complaint with investigation. (Tracking Number **.) Letter states, "The $283.00 provisional credit dated 1-31-2018 will remain as a permanent credit on your Card Account. We encourage you to visit Direct Express to view your card account balance and transaction history." I check my account at least every other day since 2-2018.

Then I call and get nowhere. As I talked to them today Level 2 agent (Kirsten) she confirmed that the money would be put back on my account but there was no set time they had to put it back. I am a 69 year old senior on fixed income with and have little money left out of my account after my monthly bills and medication. Please help me get my money. Have all my papers and will be glad to e-mail upon request.

Original review: May 15, 2018

May 1st 18 I had my card stolen, May 2nd I filled a police report, then filled a dispute, 5-3-18 person arrested who stoled my card. Police finding credit cards with ID's of me and several others, charged... case solved, you'd think right. Mind you I sent in police report plus... all needed, and kept contacted with Calvin a Direct Express card advocate, open closed case to most. But not to a non existing, no email. No phone number ghost level two... and .99% of the time you can't get thru to Direct Express... I'm still awaiting word about this.

I'm on not last breathes. I am dying of blood cancer. But thanks to Calvin and these Caspers, I'm now without a place to live, as I cry asking Dept of Treasury and Social Security, why doesn't this cards level two have a phone number or fax number or email address to where clients can get a hold of them... and people have said, "Your case is open shut." Yet I'm now homeless. Sick and weak... I was bed ordered and now... I have nothing. Because of this company's level two that I honestly don't think existent... heartless lying words of a so called advocate and... a I'm homeless now. Complaints... oh yeah I got lots. Open eyes I hope I do... for others not to become victim of this company's games and not caring about sick people. Someone needs to fight for people like myself who can't... open eyes to the Dept of Treasury and be an angel please.

Original review: May 13, 2018

Literally the worst customer service next to Straight Talk. I called in because there was supposed fraudulent charges on my card so they suspended the whole account as I’m on vacation and tell me they can’t do anything about that. I’ll just have to wait for a new card which will be a few business days. I have a job that starts and when I explained that to them I was transferred 6 times hung up on 3. As soon as I get my money off this card I’m done with their services and I would suggest anyone else who has this card. I’ve had it for about 5 years and it’s always something. FIND A NEW Company soon.

Original review: May 4, 2018

Hi my name is Janet **. All my information was stolen and every time I order a new card it keep getting change and send to whoever stole my information. When I call to get a new one they keep let the person get a new card. My SSI check keep being stolen and when I order a new one they keep charging me. I put in a claim and nothing has been done. I been going through this for five days and no one has answers for me. They keep send me to a, different department and no one answers the phone. I need help asap and I have a fraud case open and nothing is happening. I needs my money and new card asap and for someone from the fraud department to call me like now. I'm going to the police and reporting this company and the news.

Original review: May 2, 2018

Hi. I am writing this review to let people know do not go with Direct Express Debit Card Services, they are very unprofessional, and the Customer Service representative do not provide good customer service. I was waiting on a debit card that was shipped out on the 30 of April. I was told that it would take two business days to be delivered to me. I now find out that it was shipped out Tuesday. And will not arrive until Thursday. The representatives will tell you anything just to get you off the phone. One even went as far as to yell at me on the phone. I have been with Direct Express for years and if you have not gone through what it is that I went through just wait. They will do you the same way too. They do not know how to treat people. They treat and talk to people like an animal. After 6 years with them I have decide to leave Direct Express. And if you have them you should leave them too. You are better off going to a bank.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I have had my card declined many times. Today as well as another time I had to buy groceries, went to Walmart like I Always do to pay bills, shop and grocery shop. Card declined! There's $209.00 in the account and finally had to use my Credit Card at $65.00 interest each month. I will have a higher daily rate because they declined it 3 times tonight Again... You can't do anything, they do not care and it's too costly for people struggling to make ends meet. They give 1 free atm cash out as well as being charged to use it about every place I go anymore.

At USPS I'm not allowed to get cash back anymore as Direct Express stopped that too. We can't afford this card. The numbers rub off on a brand new card, can't read it and when you get a new one the old letters are almost completely worn off. No customer service and a redundant message every time you call giving you months of your direct deposits. Stupid, costly and they could care less. Bad choice by SSA and seems like it costs them more to force use of this card. Anything to charge a consumer these days just like every other Business today.

Original review: April 15, 2018

Recently I tried to withdraw funds from my account only to find out that it was locked because of suspected fraud attempt. While thankful for this, I was never notified and no declined transactions are on my account history. This incident occurred on 3/26/18 and I found out on 3/30/18. This delay and the information given to me by their representatives cost over $25.00 since I had to have the new card expedited only to find out later I was able to receive a cardless wire transfer through MoneyGram. While I was fortunate enough to not fraudulent transactions to dispute, the failure to disclose all transactions, I was unaware of the identity theft. I could have saved both fees if I had known of the incident sooner. It's sad how they treat customer.

Original review: April 15, 2018

I open a dispute on November 11 2018 and as of February of this year I got the letter saying that I won my dispute and my provisional credit will be issue as permanent credit here. It is April 15 and my account still saying neg balance. I call and spoke to level two. They say issue a tracker and some even say they will even email their supervisor and to get it resolve to see why I haven't got the money. They all see the same thing where the dispute was won in my favor so why I haven't gotten my money and sometimes I can't reach them because sometimes I get hung up on because high call volume. I feel like no one is looking into this. It just sitting there and I haven't got a phone call. No email, no mail, nothing. Just when I keep checking my balance thinking it been resolve it hasn't. I really need to be look into because this doesn't make any sense. It shouldn't have to take almost four months to get your money back.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I was recently hacked. Direct Express allowed 27 fraudulent withdrawals from my account. They never contacted me while this was back to back charges from NM. I've had account for over 1 year. My transactions never reflect any activity of this nature. When I discovered this I was told all I could do was report card stolen. I got new card along with a letter stating it would take 90 days. I have bad health. I have Dr appointments, treatments, and can't pay my rent, subject to be evicted, can't pay car insurance or payment. They have no option to get thru to fraud dept. I talked to many supervisors that promised to put me thru but due to heavy call volume was disconnected. Then they have nerve to charge me 4$ to replace card.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I recently had my information stolen and promptly reported it to Direct Express. I was sent a dispute package in the mail. I received notice that the merchants had provided adequate paperwork stating that I had authorized the transactions, which I did not! They then told me to pursue the merchants myself to recover my money, which is nearly impossible. I was initially credited the money when I disputed the charges, which was quickly revoked upon their erroneous findings. When I checked my statement, I discovered many errors in their system, where money was credited twice and removed, then credited again and removed again, then there were supposed amounts that were credited and removed that didn't exist. In summary, I'm leaving Direct Express ASAP. DON'T TRUST THEM!!

Original review: March 30, 2018

I had an issue not with Direct Express but with ATM belong to 7/11. I tried to get 400$ and the ATM wouldn't let me so I went to the other one and it tells me I don't have enough money so I went home, I checked my account and it shows that 7/11 took the money but it did not give it to me, so I called Direct Express and I explained the situation. After 5 days my money came thru with no issues.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I would not recommend DIRECT EXPRESS to anyone in my family, friends etc. Direct express has poor customer service and is unhelpful when you ask them something. I DO NOT TRUST THEM and I don't think you should either.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I had ordered a new card after seeing purchases that I hadn't made. Paid the extra money for two day delivery only to have it take 5 days to reach me anyway. They didn't refund that money...but Ok. Then when I received it 5 days later which was the day AFTER my Social Security check was deposited to the account only .58 was in the account. They tell me that someone took it from an ATM on a brand new, never opened, never activated account. Then they say, "We will send you a packet to report the fraud." That never came... "But that even though we are fully aware that you could not have used or taken the money it will be at least 90 days before you will get any money back." Didn't receive packet. Never got money back.

Each time I called was transferred back and forth between level 1 and level 2 and hung up on no less than 20 separate occasions and was told there was no supervisor and that there were no alternatives, no recourse, nothing to be done but to cancel the card again...and I suppose hope for the best the next month. Lost everything because Direct Express is dirty as hell and I am beginning to think they are part of the scam. Nobody works this hard to protect criminals unless they are one of them. Just Sayin'. Also have a relative that reports very similar circumstance. If any of you know an attorney willing to take this on... Please I beg of you. I didn't deserve to have this happen to me and then the people who are supposed to be securing my money to treat me as if I was at fault and be so hostile and rude? Something has to be done about these people and fast!

Original review: March 8, 2018

This is the most horribly, inefficiently run company ever! Chase Bank in New York checked my account to see if we could take $1,000.00 with no service charges. The teller confirmed we could withdraw with no charges, but never took the money from DIRECT EXPRESS! Spoke with branch manager at Chase; she did a review of transactions for that date and found no discrepancies. Yet, DIRECT EXPRESS has debited $1,000.00 from my account.

Submitted a bad review and got a condescending, token response from some female executive from Direct Express! I submitted an investigation and finally received a letter stating they could find no error!!! So, again, I called Direct Express and was hung up on by their phone system!!! This is the worst company, managing MILLIONS or BILLIONS of dollars of Social Security Money and they have a HORRIBLE WEBSITE! DONALD TRUMP: PLEASE FIRE DIRECT EXPRESS!!!

Original review: March 7, 2018

I had my funds stolen off my card, which my card number was stolen on 3/2/18, I got unauthorized purchases on my card and been trying to open up an dispute with a level 2 representative, but with these high volume of calls is making it impossible for me to get my money back. I am tired of getting the runaround and running into this high volume call answering machine. I got bills to pay. I ain't got time to play no phone tag with these fools. I want my money back. They need to open more lines cuz one line is so ridiculous! This dispute needs to get going as soon as possible!

Not sure about Direct Express?
Take our two minute quiz to find the right Prepaid Debit Cards for you.

Direct Express Company Information

www.usdirectexpress.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business