2. Finance
  3. Prepaid Cards

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.03/5

Looking for a prepaid debit card?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Looking for a prepaid debit card?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Direct Express Reviews

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

February 11, 2020 I had got a text from Direct Express saying $481.24 was taken out of my account. I had called direct express and they had informed me SSI took back the money which direct express said the statement says (R06) meaning SSI and there is absolutely nothing that Direct Express could do. So I call and go into my local SSI and was told SSI does not take any partial payments back if they did it would be the whole check amount not half of it. I been at this for a week going back and forth. Direct Express won't even mail me anything that can clarify the code (R06) so I could show proof that money was taken out by SSI & SSI won't do anything because it's out of their hands. I'm so frustrated and confused. I can't even file a dispute because direct express won't let me.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

My name is Melissa ** and I have been trying to get my money back. 2 checks were stolen from me. My July and August 2019 checks were stolen off my card. I have proof that it was not me that made the transactions on my card. I was incarcerated from June 10 2019 and made parole Sept 12 2019. While I was in jail someone stole my purse and I keep copies of all my passwords wrote down but that didn't matter because all my info was in my purse. The person cancelled my card and got a new one and not only have I been rudely spoken to by Direct Express I've also been hung up on and basically told that I'm a liar and my documents I faxed to them are useless. I faxed my parole papers that say the date of my incarceration and my out date but none of that matters to them.

I'm still waiting on a supervisor to call me. Still no call. I've asked to speak to supervisors. At first they didn't have one 2 weeks ago and yesterday they have one who will call me within ten mins. Still haven't heard from anyone even though I have paperwork to prove I never made those transactions and faxed them to direct express. I can't get my money back. Desired solution. They need to give me back my money for July 2019 and August 2019. I mean what more proof do they need that I never made any transactions?

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

This company is a complete scam. They stole my disability money and denied my claim. The purchases were done all the way in Atlanta. I'm all the way in Sacramento. I called to report it stolen and cancel it on Jan 4th 2020 as soon as I found out and there were still charges done on the 6th wtf. They put you on hold for hours. Transfer you and lie to cover up the inside fraudulent things going on there. I made a police report also I will be contacting the news and FBI. I found a class action lawyer to take my lawsuit. If there is anyone that wants to be apart of my class action lawsuits please email me at **. Put in subject line Direct Express fraud so I know it's not spam. I will email you back. Thanks.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

I had money stolen off my card, called in and a rude disgusting women with a terrible attitude in Mexico answers after a hour hold time and says in heavy thick almost hardly speaking English “you no can open dispute too late” and hung up on me! You are abusing the disabled then having 3rd world countries in Mexico and El Salvador steal our funds and it’s all internal! I recorded this all and am giving this to the Trump administration. This is a terrible abuse scheme going on internally. We have no food gas or medicine now thanks to these people in El Salvador stealing our money, and literally the women laughed at me when I said I had no food and needed to get a professional credit on the stolen funds. All recorded for YouTube. How can Comerica bank CEO allow this to happen to American's money?

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

I am an honorably discharged veteran, educated in psychology, and disabled. My hope is that this objective and fact based review will deter you from using Direct Express and have direct deposit into a bank account instead. Having been issued a replacement card that was said by D.E. to active I wasn't able to set it up for automatic insurance payments monthly. The card was rejected..twice.

Having called Direct Express for 4 days now no customer service representative picked up the line. After all the prompts it stated for 3 days "high call volume" and disconnected me. The last 2 days it transfers to a dead line; no message, no representative, and eventually disconnects. This is 4 days now and no ability to use the card or customer service to support or help. Remember, this is a federally funded program for those with disabilities that funds Direct Express/Comerica bank. This is really pathetic and sad. Save yourself the grief!

Kurt

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Express?

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

My money was stolen from my card in October. I called to dispute it and was denied because the thief used the same atm as I used. Then I found out conflicting information was the excuse. There was conflicting info. Do not use this card and expect any money returned. I'm taking this to the attorney general to see what they can do. TERRIBLE CARD FOR PEOPLE WHO NEED THEIR MONEY KEPT SAFE!!!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

My account was fraudulent in December and January filed a dispute however after so many phone calls no one seem to help me in this matter. I get my disability benefits on this card. I can’t afford to have my money stolen and Boone helps me get it back. I will leaving this company but I would like to know what other steps I could take to get my money back.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

On January 10 of this year I filed a dispute with DirectExpress. They informed me that I would be receiving investigation paperwork for me to complete complete within 10 days and on the 11th day if my case was still under investigation that my provisional credit would be promptly put back on my card. Well this is the 11th day and about the 15th phone call that I have made sitting hours at a time on the phone waiting on hold. I like to think that I’m a patient person however I’m being told something completely different by each person that I speak with even speaking with a supervisor hoping to get something done.

I am out of work due to having 33 star surgeries on my eye and I am currently blind in my left eye so I am struggling being out of work so this money Close to the amount of $300 is needed to pay bills for my well-being and for my child who is special-needs. I have never in my life been put through so many people with so many different answers. I want my money to be put back on my card and they just keep giving me the runaround so for this I will be closing my account with them as soon as I recover my funds and go in with a reputable bank. I get them zero stars even though there was no place for that but even one star is too good. Cynthia **

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

Please!! Do not go through with this fraud ** company.. you will do better with a bank or a credit union. My son disability check got stolen off his card!! By a merchant. This I never dealt with. They will not dispute the money. This happened once before. This is the last time I will ever deal with the sick business’s. Then they put you on a long hold for hours then transfer you over the. Put you back on hold.. so ridiculous!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

First of all this company is clearly taking advantage of the demographic they serve which in large part is disabled Americans. I had money stolen from account. I called and reported it. They tried to talk me out of it being fraud saying I must have forgotten spending $350. They said they would send me the transactions so I could mark the fraudulent transactions. This never happend. The next month it happened again for about the same amount.

I called again and they finally gave me a new card. I filled out paperwork and waited months Then heard I was rejected and that I could call and get information about the investigation. I called many times. They told me that I was rejected because it matched my spending habits even though many were from Lyft charges in San Fran and I live 3000 miles away.

Then on another call they told me I was rejected because I was complicit because I didnt try to convince them more that it was fraud. It took tons of calls trying to get the paperwork. They said they sent it and never did. Then I let them in on my secret. I RECORDED EVERY CALL. Instantly I got the paperwork although they send me only stuff I sent to them and included nothing about any investigation.

They refused to talk to me after they found out they were recorded which is weird since they had told me transcripts of my calls were included in the investigation. I had recorded them giving fake numbers to call to get the fraud department and it was to another card company called Eppicard. Two months later I started to load videos onto youtube and bang I got my money.

Record everything (it's probably the only time my disability and paranoia have helped me in any way). I'm disappointed a little because I wanted to make sure others were not taken advantage of and had hired a lawyer but now I am made whole there is not much I can do. Good luck with dealing with them and if anyone wants to talk or think my videos would help show this companies behavior in a court case please email @ **.

Not sure about Direct Express?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Prepaid Debit Cards for you.

Direct Express Company Information