Find a Prepaid Cards partner

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

About Direct Express

Direct Express is a prepaid card that gives you access to your federal benefits regardless of whether you have a bank account. If you receive federal benefits and want a secure way to store and use your funds, Direct Express’ easy-to-use debit card gives you simple access and is accepted at many locations.

Pros

• All funds are FDIC-insured
  • No bank account necessary
  • Works where Mastercard is accepted

Cons

• No lines of credit or loans available

Bottom Line

Direct Express gives federal benefits recipients an easy way to access funds without needing a bank account. The majority of federal funds are eligible for use with Direct Express, and its application process is simple and free.

Top Direct Express Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I actually feel safe with this card because it is an extension of the disability/social security dept and the app they have is so useful and convenient way to get your balance and...

Verified

I love this card. I don't have very many issues and if I do customer service takes care of it. Seeing all these bad reviews I felt I should share my experience. My card was cloned...

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

What is Direct Express?

Direct Express gives consumers access to their federal funds through its convenient and secure debit card. You could be eligible for Direct Express’ card if you receive funding from one of the following government agencies:

• Coast Guard
  • Social Security Administration
  • Department of the Treasury
  • Veterans Affairs
  • Veterans Health Administration

You can use your Direct Express card just like a debit card at ATMs and stores that accept Mastercard. To sign up for Direct Express’ debit card, call the company's enrollment center or visit your local federal paying agency. Direct Express doesn’t require a credit check or minimum balance to sign up.

Direct Express rates and fees

Most of Direct Express’ services are free, but there are some fees associated with certain services, including:

• Direct Express Cash Access: 85 cents per transaction
  • Funds transfer: $1.50 per transfer
  • Card replacement: $4
  • Foreign purchase fees: 3% of the purchase price

You can cancel your Direct Express account at any time at no cost by calling the company's customer service office.

Direct Express FAQ

What bank does Direct Express use?
Direct Express uses Comerica. The Treasury Department announced a five-year agreement with Comerica as its financial agent in January 2020.
How long does it take to get a Direct Express card in the mail?
Applicants receive their Direct Express cards within seven to 14 days after approval. Once you receive your card, your federal payments automatically deposit to it.
Can I put money on my Direct Express card?
No, you can’t put money on your Direct Express card. The only funds you can access or have on your Direct Express card are those from the government.
How do I contact Direct Express customer service?
You can contact Direct Express’ customer service representatives by calling its customer service hotline.

Is Direct Express worth it?

Direct Express’ basic services are free, and its card doesn’t require a credit check or minimum balance. If you receive federal benefits from Social Security, the Department of Veterans Affairs or another government agency, the Direct Express card makes it easier for you to access and easily use your funds.

Direct Express Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Express?

Original review: May 3, 2021

My account was hacked and $1003 was fraudulently withdrew. I filed a Dispute, sent all the proper paperwork (police report, their questionnaire, etc.) within the 10 days they required, but DirectExpress DENIED it. They said the Dallas address was mine and I couldn't prove otherwise. I've been with DirectExpress since 09, at this address I live now for over 6 years. New cards kept coming (3 in all) and then being canceled, hell 2 arrived already canceled. All the time DirectExpress was charging my account into the negative numbers.

Now you would think after sending me at least 3 cards at my proper address they would get the hint where I live, but DirectExpress kept saying the address they have on file is the Dallas one. I finally found an Agent that was smart enough to lock down my account, so now I had to prove with SSI Office who I am in order to unlock my account. Thank goodness I got with an Agent at the SSI office that was smart enough to get this nightmare figured out.

I now am waiting on my new card (different address) and hopefully it's going to work out. I am most definitely getting the hell out of dodge when I finally get my SSDI money. I don't recommend DirectExpress for the way they handled my situation. A real human is almost impossible to reach and when you do, they won't know what the other end is doing. This is my story...

Original review: Jan. 13, 2021

I am so disappointed with you, Consumer Affairs and so frustrated with Direct Express! I submitted a review on 12/28/20. To date I have not heard a peep out of either one of you! You have TOTALLY destroyed my faith in believing that what you proclaim to represent is just a complete farce! I am a disabled senior citizen. I have received ZERO $ for 5 months now due to Direct Express's ineptness. And you have shown me that you have no ethics nor compassion! I intend to contact the media if I have not heard from you by Monday, 1/18. This is ample time for you to respond. I have pen in hand, so to speak, in regards to contacting the media! I am so VERY disappointed in your complete lack of professionalism and empathy!!!

Vaive

Get buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

I see all the negative reviews but my experience was actually good. My card showed a charge I didn’t do of .60. They immediately locked my card while they said transactions continued to try to go through from GERMANY! I’m glad they noticed it immediately and locked my card. I called, verified my card, and they canceled it and sent out a new one out for free and gave me free express shipping. Had they not noticed my card was compromised I would’ve had to wait a lot longer and possibly lost money. I did however have to wait 3 hours on hold to talk to them which is why I took a star off.

Original review: July 26, 2020

I have had mine since they came out and have made many, many purchases with it. Online or in-store - ATM or cashier - no matter what I have no problems with them. Money that is supposed to be refunded to me gets refunded and customer service is very respectful and professional to me when I have a problem. I cannot fathom why others have had so many problems with their service. This card works exactly as advertised for the purpose it was designed for.

Original review: July 19, 2020

I got online one day to check on a item I had purchased and found 6 pending purchases that I had not made. I got on the phone to Direct Express and spoke to one of their employees about it, I was sure that was the last I had seen of that money. I spoke to a young man named Kris and answered a few questions and he said to keep an eye on my account and let them know when the purchases went thru. He said it sometimes took up to 30 days to recover a unauthorized purchase. At that point I wasn't very hopeful. By the time I realized it had gone thru 2 of the 6 purchases were refunded to my account and within a week the other 4 showed up refunded. I will be much more careful giving any information online that's for sure but they were Great!!

Original review: June 4, 2021

My Direct Express Card had a deposit made available on June 3rd. Today while making my reservations for my vacation my card was declined. The money is on the card when I check my balance. I stopped and put gas in my car and bought my groceries no problems but trying to pay for my hotel my card says declined. I have been calling Direct Express for the last 9 hours. I continuously get the phone hung up on me. You can never get anybody live to talk to. Maybe it's time I go with somebody else. This is very sorry. It is also very embarrassing when you are stuck out of town and cannot pay for your hotel.

Original review: June 3, 2021

Trying to get a human being to talk to is almost impossible. It’s a joke. Typical Government service. I’ve tried sending money through PayPal to my roommate and it’s been denied 2 months in a row and trying to get a human is like pulling out a tooth.

Original review: May 11, 2021

I have money missing off my card every month from Direct Express. You have to wait forever to even get someone to answer the phone then you got to give your information, tell them the problem just so they can redirect you and then you got to give your information all over again. And this goes on on and on till they hang up on you. Well this month I got over 800.00 missing. And every time I tell them that I get hung up on. I think they're stealing money from people accounts. And THAT'S THE TRUTH.

Original review: May 5, 2021

This is ridiculous. I have had a cash purchase pending now for 6 days and the company I authorized the money to keeps getting declined for the payment that clearly shows in my account. I have medical necessities in these purchases that I need and are currently held up, I have tried contacting customer service many times a day to find out what is going on with this yet I keep getting a recording due to heavy call volume. Call back at a later time. You'd think that this being a government payment service that it would be priority to get people their payments since we rely on our benefits to pay our bills.

Original review: May 1, 2021

This is the worst debit card that I have ever had. It is extremely difficult to resolve disputes and hard to reach a customer service representative. As soon as my account has a zero balance I am closing this account.

Direct Express Company Information