1.13/5
  • 1 star
Based on 68 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 2, 2017

99 Direct Express Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I have had a Direct Express Card since 2011, and my husband now has one also. I have had to have a card replaced and inquire about fraudulent activity. I have had one case of fraud, which I was able to get the vendor to remove. I used to work in credit card fraud and risk and this is easier. I have two complaints. One is that I was a representative payee for two foster children for a while and all funds were put on my card. Personal and payee funds are not supposed to intermingle.

Even though I am no longer payee their names still show up. The second issue is that I have had several new chip cards issued and the activation instructions are confusing. Twice my old card has been deactivated without my knowledge causing auto payments to fail as the number changes each time. I thought I had to activate and existing funds would not transfer but they did. I couldn't risk going a month without access to the funds. I did get through to customer service and they were polite and helpful, I have called half a dozen times with issues. When my card was lost I had a replacement in 3 days.

I think that the web interface needs improvement but Direct Express is managed by Chase. Having worked in their IT for several years, it's the usual quality of product. 85 percent of our employees were on H-1B visas and user friendly interface seem to be beyond their skill set. It does concern me that my income is under the control of employees from countries hostile to us but that's true of most USA computer systems nowadays.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

On November 6, 2017 I called Direct Express and disputed two charges that I did not authorize on my card that were made by a business I did not know nor did I have an account with. On November 6, 2017 I made a verbal dispute with Direct express. They told me they would be sending me papers to fill out and send back to them. I received those papers and the same day I received them I filled them out and mailed them back to direct express in the provided envelope. 10 days later I STILL had NOT received the provisional credit I am entitled to under the EFTA Act.

I called direct express and they had told me they needed to receive my paperwork on 11/20/17 to receive the credit and they didn’t receive it until 11/21/17. First of all, I know they received it on time and they just didn’t put it in the system because I mailed that paperwork out the SAME DAY I received it. So even if they didn’t get it on time, that is not my fault because I didn’t receive the paperwork from THEM in time.

I was also told, when I called to ask why I hadn’t received the provisional credit yet, that I could have mailed the paperwork in writing myself without receiving their paperwork first. WHY WAS I NOT TOLD I COULD DO THIS ON NOVEMBER 6th WHEN I INITIALLY MADE MY DISPUTE??!! Their employees failed to tell me this and they have no proof they told me this. I have bills I cannot pay because of this. I have read in multiple reviews and from attorneys that direct express has been sued for this same issue. I just want the provisional credit that I am entitled to before I have to get my lawyer involved because then I will be asking for much more than $405.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

The man was very rude. He kept interrupting me when I was talking. I can imagine how the unfortunate people who are on welfare are being treated. My call was for my retirement which I deserve and my money. I hope I never have to call them again. They need customer service training. They won't have a job if it were not for us.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

Never had been treated so horribly in my life. Disputed charge and all day was told being transferred to dispute, fraud etc... got nothing but put back in the loop ALL day. Finally shut off card. 5 to 10 days my butt and when you call like they tell you to do you are reprimanded. The first thing I am going to do when (IF) I get the card I am getting a prepaid visa. How am I going to pay my rent? Just because disability assigns this to you does not mean you need this. Get rid of this. They will never help you! I gave 1 star because I couldn't give no star.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I had a fraudulent debit on my card and I have yet to have the funds returned to me. They hang up on you when contacting claiming. The lines are busy no matter what time of day you call. Their call center tree is designed not to answer. I intend to sue if that is what it takes for resolution.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Express?

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I give this company zero stars but that's not an option. This company will steal your money. I'm a disabled army veteran who has my disability check go on to the Direct Express card. I went to the ATM November 1st after my check was deposited and tried to withdraw money for my bills. There was an error and the withdraw didn't go through. The company who operates the ATM said the transaction was not completed and clearly shows I did not receive any money. Direct Express took the money out of my account anyway.

I tried all day to get ahold of someone and finally did. I was told it was a valid transaction and I could dispute it but it could take 45-90 days after I fill out the paperwork they send me. They said the government is very picky about their money. As if I'm not! They never sent me the paperwork. After I didn't receive the paperwork 5 days later they said it could take 3-5 business days... It's now the 11th and I have yet to get papers to even file a dispute. I have 5 kids to care for on a fixed income and it's impossible when I can't even get my money. When I ask for a supervisor I am sent to a line that a recording says they are experiencing higher than normal call volume, please call later and then it hangs up on me. If the government is so picky about their money then they should know that Direct Express is stealing government pay from disabled veterans. I would recommend that every find another bank/card. Do not use these people for your pay.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

If you ever need to dispute a transaction, you can just forget it!! This company is the worst when disputing charges to your card! They don't have a way to do it online or by fax. You call and get transferred to people who can't help you. Then when they finally transfer you to the fraud department, you get a voice recording that call volume is high and to please call back! Social Security need to find a new company to do business with, because this place is a joke. Do yourself a favor and close your account with Direct Express. You're better off with NetSpend or a major bank!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Had someone change my pin transfer money. Had to file claim. Was promised money back on acct. Still over a month later no money. Filled out all paperwork. Made a police report and still cannot get through. I will never use this company and it is illegal to carry MasterCard logo without complying with their rules.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

Mind you social security refers us to this company so I thought there was nothing to worry about. I never did any checking up on this company because I thought it was safe. My son had his spending money stolen by a company in South Africa a few day ago. SUPERBALIST.COM A DIV, WCP. I wanted to check it out to see what it was and it was a clothing company based in South Africa. I can't even call them to dispute the charges. Which I mean you know you can't call Direct Express because they will only transfer you and disconnect that's if you even get through. We had been calling for 3 days and finally go through today and then we were transferred and hung up on several times.

I feel so bad for others because after I did do research and found out that this has been happening to others for so long and even more instances up it within the last few days I feel a little guilty about complaining about 52 dollars. However, it is because it happened to my son that I am extremely angry about it. I wish so badly I had opened him a regular bank account. I feel so bad that I didn't do research prior to this happening. And for them not to let me speak on his behalf is even worse. Why?! Why can't I speak up for my son?! He's my child! He doesn't even buy anything international. I am just so upset for him and the other people I've read about. Some people can't even pay their rent this month because of this company. How many more complaints before this company is done away with??

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

My card was billed by mistake from my storage facility and they canceled the payment. It's been three full days and Direct Express has not returned the money to my account. I have tried to contact them for the last two days from the hours of 5am till 8pm and I can never get anyone to answer the phone. It puts me on hold for over a hour, gives a message saying they are busy and to call back or it just completely hangs up on me altogether. I have contacted the BBB. Something needs to be done about this.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I got this card in Jan of 2017 from the state of NJ. NOT ONE TIME IN THE LAST 11 months has ANYONE EVER picked up the phone. You go thru a million prompts and then a recording says they’re busy helping others, call back AND THEN IT HANGS UP. I’ve been calling for 11 months. REALLY? This is total ** and discrimination. I plan on getting a lawyer. The state of NJ should be ashamed!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

Attempted fraud by Direct Express. Called my card today. They had it on suspension cause some merchant they knew were fraudulent, attempted to take funds from my card. They said I had to cancel my card which takes a month. I refused. They say they are sending it out to know last address which I no longer live. Payday is Wednesday November 1, 2017.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

My grandmother lost her Direct Express Card. When I call this company they refused to talk to me. My grandmother has dementia. She's 91 years old and does not know what they're talking about, but the lady still refuse to talk to me. I mean she was really really rude. This company is so horrible. I only wanted to ask her if there was a way that my name could be added to be a representative for my grandmother, But the lady kept saying, “If you keep interrupting I'm going to have to stop this call.” I don't even know if she replaced the card or not because I wasn't allowed to get back on the phone to hear what she was saying to my grandmother.

All I could hear my grandmother saying is ("No not right now. I don't use it. What? What are you talking about? I… I… What? I don't know… I…") and she was asking her for her address and telephone number. My grandmother doesn't remember those things. My grandmother was rubbing her head in frustration with me standing right there and I couldn't say or do anything and the only thing I can hear my grandmother saying is ("What? What? I don't know what you're saying. I don't know.") If they don't replace the card I have no way of paying her bills next month. There has got to be another way to help our Grandparents.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I only gave the card one star because you have to do so in order to leave a review. I have been unable to use my card since last month. I didn't realize that my account has been locked until this week. When I used my card last month, it declined and I thought it was just an error with the Micros system at the place of business that I was using it. No biggie. So when my benefits were loaded this month, I attempted to use the card. It was declined and I couldn't withdraw money from ATM. I have been calling Direct Express??? So when my benefits were loaded this month, I attempted to use the card. It was declined and I couldn't withdraw money from ATM.

I have been calling Direct Express??? For over a week because I was going to have my benefits direct deposited into my bank account. All I get is a pre-recorded message saying that they have important information about my account and, "Please stay on the line to speak to representative" yet when it goes to a representative, I get another pre-recorded message saying that they are experiencing a higher call volume than normal and, "Please try your call again later." I have been trying for 10 days. At this point I am unable to withdraw any of my benefits and pay my bills. I do not recommend using this service at all. Even though the government is the one who recommends that you use it.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

Direct Express has made my life miserable with their handling of funds. I didn't get my check this month, cause they are stating I was sent out a new EMVP card whatever that means. This is the first time I had this dilemma with this company. Long story short each time I try to contact customer service, I always get a message "I am sorry we're experiencing high call volume. Check us out on the web and review your account bal, or call back at a later time when call volumes are lower."

And guess what happens then, the morons hang up on You!! This has been going on now for three days, and it's always the same message. I still haven't received any money or my card. "I am very pissed right now... I hope they can be reported." I am going to have my money routed to another card like Netspend very good with handling funds. I know a friend of mine, she's been with NetSpend for 8 years now and still has no problem. Just a plug there... but I hate Direct Express.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I have been calling DE. SINCE the 29 of Sept. To get hung up on every time. Mind you this is after hours of waiting for them to tell me there is high call volume. When I finally do get someone on the line to ask where my money has went they tell me they have to transfer me to fraud department every time I get a recording of high call volume and hung up on!! I'm missing a lot of money and me and my child have no food to eat and about to lose our electricity. I tell them how urgent it is to resolve this problem and they just don't care and are very rude. This has been going on for over a week.

On the 27 of Sept. There was 682$! I had tried to get gas and my card I was denied it, said I had 12$. On the 29. I have been calling nonstop just to be hung up on. How can this be a government card and so many people getting stole. From. Who do we need to contact? I've made police report, called SS. I need my money. We are about to be homeless because of this company. Please tell me what to do. I'm at my end. I can't take any more of their rude behavior. They are taking from people in need and it's not right. Please someone help us???

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I was supposed to receive my card in May. It never arrived. I called them a few times till after a few weeks!!! I finally got through to a representative. They told me they need more ID. I faxed them my passport and social security card. After another few weeks!!! They finally told me the fax was not clear. I refaxed it. Waited it should enter their system. Called. Called again. Called again. After another few weeks the verdict came again; the fax is not clear. I was so frustrated. Something that could've been done in a matter of minutes is taking forever.

They told me I should go to the local (45 minute drive) SSI office and give in my ID in person. I don't drive, but wanted to get this issue resolved. So, I took a cab, handed my ID over in person. The SSI office was like; whaaat? For this? You had to come down here? Nonsense! I told them what should I do? It's been 4 weeks since then. I could not get through to Direct Express since then!!! I got these benefits for a reason. I need them. I have a family with children and a disabled husband. Why can't I get access to these benefits???

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

Twice in the last week money has been taken without my authorization from my acct. When I call Direct Express, a recording comes on that says they are busy, so call back later!!! My S.S. check is deposited into Direct Express each month and it is all I have to live on. The government recommended I use Direct Express!!! What is this!!! These people do not want to help you... I beg you do not use them!!!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

Too much to explain, but in a nutshell the customer rep named Linda was extremely RUDE and told me that HE was not going to play tennis with me with something that wasn't my fault and with the money they're refusing to put back in my account. Spoke to a supervisor name Erica and she was just as RUDE. My card was ran twice and according to place where I purchase something from, they already approved the purchase and release the other transaction.

According to Direct Express they refused to release the pending purchase off the account and I would have to wait 5 days for the correction to be made from the other place. When I tried to explain that it had already been corrected, they refused to listen and refuse to put the money back on the card. They need to do Undercover Boss with this company and retrain their customer reps and make some immediate changes with their company. I could not believe how horrible customer service and the supervisor was!!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

My wallet was snatched during a burglary 7 weeks ago, thief guessed my pin # which was my DOB went to an ATM near my residence and drained $300. Thief is on camera at location through store surveillance and PNC ATM. 24 hours later police return my wallet found in a residential area. It took 2 weeks to get fraud packet. I gave all info including police report # and direct dial # to detective handling case. After 7 weeks waiting my claim is denied, reason, they think I loaned the card to someone or gave my pin number out. Also because I used that same ATM to draw rent and buy money order a few days prior. I'm going back to my old bank, I've been crapped on royal by Direct Express. I suggest run if you're with this company to a real bank.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

By far the most dishonest and morally corrupt banking systems in the U.S. I was hit with $350 of fraudulent charges, made with a "card" in Florida. I reside in Washington state. I followed their guidelines for refund to the letter. But, when they were questioned about their own deadline, their answer was "Well, we didn't get your paperwork". I had the delivery ticket from the US Postal service saying "Delivered". Customer service NOT helpful but literally combative. If no else will say it, I will. Direct Express directly STEALS money from their customers.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

WHAT A JOKE this is! You CAN'T connect to a REAL person to ask questions, INCLUDING closing out your account or getting the remaining monies back that's left in your account. You are only allowed ONE free withdrawal of YOUR money once a month, and unless you use ATMs at selected banks, there is a fee. My complaint is not the only one, I know, but my question is WHY does Social Security even SUGGEST using Direct Express??? There are people who only get $300-$400 a month to LIVE on! Imagine how tough it is on them!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

I will not waste my or your time repeating. These stories are common and true. They are. I would just say cancel your card. Use a Walmart card, use a bank, do something but get away from this card asap and hope their problems and practices of their morally challenged employees' practices don't follow you. Their behaviour and practices are often criminal and at best ethically degenerate. The character count and the value of my time, limit further warnings and citations of their malpractices. Run.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

In August 2017 I found almost $4,000 IVR transferred from my account to a Wells Fargo Bank according to the routing #. I called customer service to tell them and they said they can't do anything until I fill out a form they have to send to me. I still have not received the form. I called them back to see if they would put the money back because it was not me and they will see that when they investigate. I asked her what am I suppose to do about my bills and the wench at level two told me my personal business is not hers. I told her my money is my personal business and said there is nothing she can do. CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP!!!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

My mother is 80 years old & receives social security. She called the Direct Express number to check the balance on her card. $1100 had been removed from her debit card, UNAUTHORIZED. We called Direct Express for 4 days could not get through, finally they tell us it was IVR money transfer. My mother would not, will not or did not authorize ANYONE to remove anything from her account. How does this happen? The company is dragging their feet, meanwhile my mother can't pay her rent, life insurance, lights or gas, not to mention FOOD! Where do you go, who can help you? I'm at a loss.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

I have tried for over a month to create a login for Direct Express. The page shows a message stating 'New user registration is temporarily unavailable'. I was told to download their app. The only device that I have that it would install on was a KODI TV box, but it only works on some smartphones. Talk about amateurish programming!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

So my dad's card expired last month and they sent him a new one. Turned out to be the wrong card so they sent ANOTHER new card. Mind you, he suppose to get his SS on the 3rd and he hasn't been able to pay bills or eat! We got the card today, activated it and it says he's -$12.47! So we call and ask why and the customer service was horrible! The people are rude and have no consideration for their customers. And they have the nerve to tell us not to get angry when they ** up! And hang up when they don't hear what they want.

We aren't allowed to be angry at their ** ups but they can hang up in our face when we do! That's **! Now they have to send a new card and we don't get to eat or have lights until it comes! As soon as he gets his money from those crooks, we will be taking legal action towards this company! It's ridiculous how they treat people that's making it possible for them to stay in business! We will no longer be going through Direct Express!

Resolution response: Aug. 12, 2017

I had Christine call me from Direct Express and their team was able to stop the transaction and handle my problem. Thank you Direct Express.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

On Aug 3, 2017 my Social Security disability funds were deposited in my account, at 00:34. I had a IVR money transfer of all my funds but 3.00 out along with a IVR money transfer fee of $1.50 was also included. I have Direct Express app on my phone and it alerted me of the transaction, I immediately called them to get a rep tell me to calm down or she wouldn't help me. I told her "I am just upset please stop this", she told me if I didn't apologize she wouldn't help me. After I did she hung up on me, I've finally got a hold of fraud dept, level 2, fraud papers are being sent a police report was made and Comerica bank was called.

Looking into the matter, further looks like IVR is their in house way of transferring funds back to themselves, but can't be proven at this level. I continue to call hoping to get help. I am 3500 miles away from home, I came to visit my parents with dementia, I have no way home or no place to stay as of Sunday. I am at my wit's end, I am disabled so I have no other source of income, I am without a car, HELP!!!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I have direct deposit for myself on disability, but have a direct express card for my daughter, where I am the representative payee. Ever since I enrolled for my Direct Express card, I have tried to set up a web account, so I can use the web to administer and see my info. However, every time, it does not allow me to register, get a new id, or password.

This morning, I tried to activate my new replacement card and the standard phone menu did not recognize the new card, so I could not set my pin or use my card. I tried calling the international collect customer service number but it is always busy. There is no email contact address. I had to use the regular customer service menu, then error out, to go to main menu. I finally managed to hack through the phone menu and get a web support person on the line, but she told me the registration for the web is closed. They don't know when it will re-open. I suspect they had some kind of Hacking incident, and are revamping their website, but is this really a reason to lock out people from using the web page altogether???

Original review: July 25, 2017

I'm a senior citizen that has been taken Fraudulently advantage of & am still in need of a refund that was returned by the merchant on 5/3/17, in the amount of $129.95, and "Direct Express" is refusing to give me my money back, and keeps lying to me with saying that I already received the funds back to my card and was done on 5/3/17, which is NOT TRUE!!! I Never received the refund back on my card, I am just told that I did by the customer service reps. It is unfair to be taken advantage of when all I'm seeking is what is Rightfully mine and is TRUE & FACTUAL! Obviously, someone is a thief and liar at Direct Express and I'm appalled by it, and need help Please!!! It's been almost 3 months now that I've been trying to resolve this issue & am tired & feel so helpless!!!

Direct Express Company Information