1.07/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

197 Direct Express Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

This company issue a debit card to someone in GA with my husband information. His social security money was taken. It's very difficult to get them on the phone and when you do they're not helpful until push them to direct you to the correct department to put in a dispute. This company needs to be investigated.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I have guardianship of my nephews and have now for three years. Never a problem with their survivor benefits until we decided to switch from paper checks to Direct Express. We switched to Direct Express a few weeks before we moved (keep in mind they knew this info). It is a week after their benefits was due. Direct Express sent a card that has no benefits. SSI office says that Direct Express is the ones we need to talk to, but when you do actually get a real person on the line at Direct Express they are no help either. A foreign lady I could hardly understand said we need to verify identities. WTF. You never put us through this in the beginning. The government does care to put two kids on you, but when you need the money to feed them that is theirs anyways. No one knows a damn thing!

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Debit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I have been trying to transfer funds from the Direct Express account to a checking account. The money disappears from Direct Express but never arrives in my checking account. I finally called them today, chose the menu item to report a lost or stolen card since they never answer the others, and was finally told that Direct Express has discontinued the transfer function and I have to go to an ATM or Walmart money services to take money from this account. I have now changed my direct deposit at Social Security to direct it to my checking account and I plan to close this account once it becomes effective. This is the worst website and customer service I have experienced in the last few years.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

This is new website for me since I am handling this for my son, and all I can say is that their Customer Service, Website is horrible. Call customer service you will get someone that cannot help you. Try to log into your account, and enter all the info and it kicks you out. Call them, they are experiencing high volumes of calls, cannot imagine why! Then it disconnects you. I called the last week in November 2018, a ticket was put into where I should receive a call in 5 days, no call on the 5th day.

Every review I have read has been bad, the website is not user friendly and the customer service is the worst. I can completely understand the frustration people have. I am a firm believer that there is always someone to give a bad review, but these are legitimate complaints. I have tried for 2 days to get logged on and there is no way it will let me. I have tried to call for 3 days and cannot get answers. So yes, I am frustrated as well as all the others. I think someone needs to find out what is going on and fix the issues that all of the consumers are experiencing. Life is hard enough but when you're dealing with people's income it is scary to know you cannot get the information or the problem fixed.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I had money taken from my card account today and when I called to dispute it they tell me they can't do anything until it clears. That can take up to 5 days and then I have to call back and dispute it. Why can they not just stop the transaction like a real bank can do and give me my money back. To make it worse it's being taken by some foreign company and there is no way to call them or anything. So I'm also being charged a foreign transaction fee. I am transferring my money that is deposited on there to a different account that actually does what it is suppose to and doesn't screw you over.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Express?

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

On 12/3/18 my social security was deposited, 20 minutes later I checked my balance so I could pay my phone bill but someone had taken out all my money. So I try to call but you need to put in card numbers or SS number and a pin but mine didn't work. I called the number on the card and cust. service could not get thru. After searching online found a number that worked (finally). After talking to them it seems that a week before they let someone order a new card, change my address and PIN number without answering any security questions or contacting me plus my money was taken out in Georgia by three ATM transactions minutes apart and I live in Ohio. So not one thing about this gave them a damn clue. They said we are going to send you a new card but there no money on it! That's the answer I got, I was not too happy.

Being a disabled Vet. and on Medical disability I get to wait up to 90 days to see if I get my money back. So I'm looking at being homeless and maybe dropping dead without my medications. Direct Express knows this is going on. There are many complaints, We have no choice and they know it so the company just doesn't care! I'm not writing this because I want to complain just to tell everyone BEWARE this may happen to YOU. I will try to follow up to let you know how Direct Express resolves this. Not very hopeful though.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

They let Google take 227.43 out of my account over a period of time. Will not give it back. Filled out all the paperwork they asked me to fill out. Have faxed it, mailed it. They keep telling they have not received. It wasn't complete. Then they closed it because they have not got the paperwork. I go to the police department, fill out fraud papers. Maybe that will help. Nothing has worked. This has been since March 16 2018. They will hang up on you make like they are transferring you. They are super terrible. Social Security needs to look into this.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Beware of Direct Express. Use at risk of losing your SSI deposit. Called customer service and no answer, and email address or fraud alert system. You cannot contact these people so only reasonable explanation is that they are working with scammers to defraud you. Had several withdrawals on my card not made by me. Cannot contact these people and fraud recovery system is non existent!!! DO NOT use this card to receive your SSI!!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Somebody was able to call in and change my info and then was able to withdraw 1000 dollars, this was at an ATM in Florida and I live in Calif, trying to get Direct Express on phone and get runaround and hung up on and have to call back 3 times. 3 hours later I was able to give my dispute, what a joke. And now I have to wait 3 month for them to fix it. Unacceptable... Stay away from theses crooks.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

My disabled mother has had someone call the card company and pretend it's her and they send a new card to this person every time. We have went to Social Security to put a block on the card yet Direct Express will not do so. They keep saying they will not allow the address to be changed yet. For the past 3 months in a row someone has stolen her information and received a card. My mother has to pay the fee to receive a new card. They assure her that she will be reimbursed the fee but she never has seen the money. We are going tomorrow to open a bank account to get away from this terrible company. If you start receiving Social Security please please please do not use Direct Express!!! Open a bank account locally where they will actually monitor your account for fraud. These people are crooks!!!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

My account was compromised and someone shipped a card to another state which I've never resided or even set foot in and drained my account. They called Direct Express and changed my address and phone number and got a card in my name and stole 1700 dollars. Took an hour and fifteen minutes to get in touch with a person. I finally figured out I could press 3 to get transferred to a human being.

My social security number card number and pin weren't working for the 800 number. They should have a direct line for fraud or at least have an option instead of me having to search Google for an answer. I don't understand how someone could call them and change all of my info like that on a holiday weekend without any trouble and no one contacted me. No call. No email. No verification whatsoever. Change of address should not be that easy. Unprofessional. Barely did any confirmation on the phone to identify that it was really me. I will be getting a bank account elsewhere.

Then I get charged for a new card because you only get one free but the thief got that one and charged to get a new card shipped too. They mess up and I have to pay for it. Super rude and unhelpful staff. I cannot believe they're associated with the US Department of Treasury. Waiting and hoping for the fraud paperwork to come in the mail and filing a police report. I can't believe how easy it was for someone to steal everything from me.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

In October someone was using my card information to make online food delivery purchases via Postmates. This is a service I've never used at a restaurant I'd never heard of in a city that I don't live in. I thought lucky I caught it the day it happened and report it right away. I was told by a representative to call back in two days after the purchases go through and make my dispute. I did exactly that. Sent in all my information through a fax to get everything done as soon as possible.

When I checked on the dispute I found out it was closed. They blamed my husband. My husband who was home with me and my kid while my debit card was in my purse while these purchases were being. I called to reopen the dispute. Got a whole new SR number and everything. Then when I called to check on the reopened dispute I found out it was never opened. I also didn't receive the report about the dispute finding for them to come to such obviously false conclusion. Do not use this company. I hope this helps someone because I can only imagine if they would have taken more the bind I would be in.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

The customer service is beyond terrible and I suspect not legal. I was a victim of theft as a person I know used my card without authorization. I filed a claim and when I didn't hear I filed a claim with CFPB. At this point all calls were rerouted to a recording once I entered my account info. CFPB stated they received a response from Susan ** and directed me to where I could view it. The response was 1 of 3 addressed to me and never sent. I did receive a letter dated almost 2 months prior that was 1 paragraph stating I needed to write a letter to know the reasons of my denial. The response to CFPB was 2 pages and stated I had not been cooperating as they had attempted several times to contact me.

The signer of this response, Susan ** noted her phone contact but neither of my voicemails were returned. I called Susan's number a few weeks later and she was away but left a number to call if I needed help. This person connected me to Brandon ** who was the one that denied my claim, left a voicemail on my phone but would never return my calls. I could go on for pages but the bottom line is I am being refused the transaction information to provide for the Sheriff and nobody will call me back. The person that used my card was responsible for almost 3 months of benefits that were slowly taken. I have offered to assist Direct Express in any way and informed them we know who it is and the Sheriff needed the information of my account in order to arrest him and they refuse to answer. I am very interested in joining other people in exposing Direct Express for their ways.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I have a terminally ill husband who cannot verbalize. These people in customer service decided that a charge on his account was fraudulent. Even after I advised them that it wasn't they played games, sent me to an atm machine at 2:00 am because that's the time I was able to get someone on the phone. They said they would unfreeze card and let me pull funds for Nov. 2018. When I called them from atm they laughed and kept hanging up on me. I contacted Comerica Bank. They got me to advocate Calvin who not only keeps his phoneline busy but I still have not received my husband's money for this month. I cannot pay our rent or buy his necessities that he needs. I think this is unacceptable. My husband worked hard all his life and someone from another country has the power to dangle and play with our livelihood. This has got to stop. Thank You.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

For many years my son's SSI and now his SSA benefit would go to the United States government. Recommended US Direct Express site. On November the 1st the bank send me an email that stated they were happy to provide with my online username. On November the 2nd US Direct Express sent another email that alerted me that my son's funds were below $100. I was out of town but I immediately called to see if they could stop payment on the $500+ purchase to Best Buy among other outrageous purchases that were pending. When I go to the account's history the $500 purchase is no longer a part of the history. Plus there is no record of the money returning to the account. The customer service representative stated that she could not close the account and that once the purchases were no longer pending then the account would be closed and another card would be issued to me. She advised me to call daily.

On November the 4th I called again and there were still 2 outstanding pending payments but the customer service rep. closed the account. He stated that a new card would be issued via mail. Since the 4th I have called several times but whenever I put in my card information a recording comes on and states that my card is in the mail and then hangs up. Since they have sent out a replacement card I can no longer access the account. The website shows a picture that asks me for the first 4 digits of my new card. As of to date I have not received the new card. Even though I disputed the charges on the 2nd of November my information was NOT forwarded to the Dispute Resolution department. Make sure you report to your local police department, BBB, Identity Theft with the gov., Direct.Express@fiscal gov address, go direct, Post Master General and your congressperson.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Worst customer service ever! I called to ask about the Social Security deposit in my account because after calling SS they told me they have already submitted the payment the first of the month and after it’s been deposit they can’t do anything about it and for me to call Direct Express. My account is still at 0 balance. The gal I spoke to was rude, gave me an attitude and was not helpful at all. I asked to speak to a supervisor and she told me her supervisor will tell me the same thing. I continued to ask her if I can speak to her supervisor and she repeatedly told me no and then stopped responding.

She keep me on the line for 3 minutes without saying anything. My frustration got the best of me and I called her a dumb ** and hung up. I called back again and got a different person named Tammy, she was a lot more pleasant to talk to but still was not helpful. She said she couldn’t track any transactions if the money was deposited or not and told me to call Social Security again. Total waste of my time. $500 missing and no answer from Direct Express still.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

My identity was hacked twice. Comerica, which runs Direct Express, refers persons to an Advocate of Direct Express, but the Advocate, Fraud Unit, and Customer Service are all employees of a Conduent call center. None have banking experience. I read two Treasury OIG reports, then showed the chief auditor the deficiencies of the reports.

A new investigation was ordered. Another victim has teamed with me (Jackie **) and we have generated interest in Social Security, Treasury, Fed Reserve, and military. Many of the fraud victims are former military, and have been ignored by Direct Express (Conduent) and Comerica Bank. We need all persons to send their complaints to me at ** and to Sonja ** at Treasury, **. If we get enough veterans to contact us, we will get Veteran Affairs on board. Email me with your story, leave a contact phone number, and I WILL call you. We need you in order to dismantle the fraud that is Direct Express and create a new fiscal agent to handle your money.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Someone got or made a duplicate card and charged $140. retail items in California. Direct Express said because no phone number was posted on the transactions, they were unable to dispute. This is not the first time this immoral and unethical bank has failed me and so many others. As a retired forensic accountant, I recommend if you can, get as far away from this “bank” as possible. Get a credit union bank account and get direct deposit. I REPEAT! We are not protected.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I went to withdraw money from a Chase Bank ATM that I use monthly for this purpose alone and the ATM denied the transaction but took the money. The problem is it was the last day of my eviction. I needed a truck and storage unit. As a result, I was locked out of my house and my child was removed from my care, I haven't eaten in two days and Direct Express says I am making excuses when I tell her I cannot get to a library and even if I could, I would be charged for the fax or print out. I honestly don't know what to do as I'm completely away from any sort of help whatsoever.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

What a joke. I'm on disability and today is the 5th and STILL can't get my money from them that they mess up. Took me 6 hours to get them on the phone then they hang up on me because I shouldn't be mad over them messing up my money - keep telling me it should be anytime and that has been 3 days ago. Can't pay my rent or bills and they can care less. Fist time I called on Saturday they told me it happen to a lot of people. Now they're trying to cover it up. THIS CARD IS A JOKE. I WANT MY MONEY YOU STOLE. This is sad for all the people that rely on ya'll to have our money right and to be able to receive it on the right date.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I still have not got no money. Can't get through on phone. What is going on here? I don't understand why this is happening all the sudden. It's horrible. Just a mess. Anyone else going thru this at all?

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I didn't receive my deposit from SSDI and I called to check on my account only to find that my Pin didn't match my card or social didn't match my pin. I was then disconnected from the call. I went on my app for Direct Express and my card wasn't even there. They use the last four digits of the card, but a new card was in its place with a deposit but zero balance. I clicked on the transaction to only find multiple transactions to a Texaco Mart in Georgia. I don't understand how they can so easily change the state I lived in and Direct Express mail them a card out without physical proof I moved.

The manager of my local SS office called and finally spoke to a human being, I filed a police report and a fraud claim. They still told me it could take 45-90 days and I may or may not receive my money back. From my understanding they send you paperwork, but it takes up to 5 days to get here and they only give 10 days to file the claim. After reading the fraud complaints today, I don't understand how the US treasury is trusting Comerica bank.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I been receiving disability since 2013 and I have never had a problem with my direct deposit pending. My Direct Express card does not show any pending balance. I contacted my local SS Office and they stated that I will receive my same amount and that I need to contact Direct Express. They also said to wait to the 2nd of Nov. I need to know if my money is coming. I know I'm not alone on this but I rely on this for my livelihood. Every time I contact the Direct Express card company they are extremely busy and the system hangs up on you. This was right when the lines were open. No one is ever available. Plus the company doesn't care about you as a customer.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I sent paperwork in from where the merchant told me to do a dispute on there to get my money back so I did the dispute. They said that they did some hardship and put the money back on there but I have to wait 90 days for this dispute and then all of a sudden they hit me with a / balance. Overdrawn balance saying that I owe them because they said that the merchant got in contact with them to tell them that I did order it. I never said I didn't order it. I did order it. I never got the merchandise. They can't give me no proof on them saying that they deliver.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

It's the day of the 1st still no pending deposits. I been getting ssi for 3 years now. Anyone else having this issue even on the app same problem? Or are they having problems? I pay most of my Bill's on the first. This worries me.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I initiated a dispute on July 17, 2017. They received requested information on Aug. 28th. My case was closed on Aug 30 because no one took the time to scan this information in. This information was originally faxed in. After approximately 20 calls and having faxed in the same information two more times it was finally reopened on October 4th. Now they say they have no record of receiving the fax of August 28. I would not know that it was received and not scanned in unless I was told. Now they are saying it could take up to 90 days.

Well it was 90 days on October 17th. So now they are saying 90 days from October 4th. Their supervisors are of no help. They don't follow protocol for call center customer calls. The supervisor just wanted to talk over me and offer no explanation why they are not doing their jobs. This has been one of the most aggravating situations that I have dealt with. Do not enroll in Direct Express. I tried locating the CEO's information. None available. Go figure.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I have been trying all day to get a real person at Direct Express and I get a recording "we have high call volume please try our website or try another time" then they hanging up. What a joke it is. It would be nice if you could talk to a real person a real live person instead of press numbers. But to get hung up on to talk to someone because they have high volume calls then try different times of day and get the same thing is not right. They only one phone number to use. Not happy with them at all.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I never in my life have been talked to like they talk to me when calling to get my issues resolved or should I say talked over me while I’m trying to explain what the problem is. For 3 months I have had problems with them letting people take money off my card. I have called each business and they with no problem returned my money the same day and have never seen the money back on my cards. They argue it was put back or that I have to dispute it and then ask why do I have to dispute it if the company is already put it back??? Then I try to change my direct deposit to my bank or another card and they're telling me now I have to go into an office to do it now. They are the rudest people ever and treat me like I am dumb and I am far from dumb. I have 2 associate degrees and the last thing I wanted was to be disabled and not do my job that I loved!!!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Trying to get help from US Direct Express customer service is the worst experience of my life. My father is a 75 year old elderly man now living in a nursing home and because of this I need financial statements to reapply for senior services and Medicaid. Trying to get through to an actual customer service representative is not even an option listed on the so-called customer service menu. In order to speak to an actual person, you have to press 5 which has nothing to do with my issue at hand. When the representative answers, they are the absolute worst people to speak to. Rude and incredibly short tempered with the customer is only part of the issue.

I have been calling since early August requesting paper statements for the previous four months in order to reapply for Medicaid. Each time I have been told the statements would arrive in 5 to 10 business days. After 10 business days of waiting for them to arrive, I receive nothing and so it's back to square one - calling customer service... again.

Second time around and after speaking to another representative who also told me they were mailing paper statements for the previous four months and the statements would arrive in 5 to 10 business days. Before hanging up with the representative, she told me to try logging in online. I told her I tried that in the past but my father had not used a computer in a while after being admitted into a nursing home. He forgot his email address and password. She told me to try resetting it with IT Department. These people don't seem to understand these are mostly senior citizens who are calling and many of them are not familiar with internet vocabulary. When my father tried resetting his email and password, he didn't know what to call the @ symbol or that .com is said dot come. This frustrated the IT representative and he refused to speak to me and hung up on my father. - 10 business days later and again nothing.

Third time is the charm, right? The third time around I called during a heavily busy period and when I was able to get through to another representative I explained the situation and asked to speak to a supervisor only to be hung up on and unable to get through on several attempts afterward. Finally, I managed to speak to another rep. named Jeff who sounded as if he absolutely hated his job and yet again I explained to him what I needed and he told me the request for statements was successful and to expect them to arrive in 5 to 10 business days. It is now the end of October and yet again, nothing. I am so angered!

To make matters worse, my father's new debit card has arrived and when we were trying to activate it, the automated recording asked for the last four digits on the new card and when entered the automated recording stated the numbers were not recognized prompting me to enter the last four digits of my father's card. WHY IS THIS COMPANY BEING USED? The customer service options are ridiculous nonexistent. The customers or their appointed representatives are not being treated with the respect or handled professionally.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I never looked for a card, let alone asked for one. I received a letter in the mail saying they were sending me one, I threw it away thinking it was a scam, but a few days later, I received the one if their cards in the mail. I called to find out why and spoke to two different women, one of which was a different Nationality. BOTH were horribly rude, one made it sound like it was MY fault I received it. The other blamed it on the US Treasury. By some research, it looks like they are contracted by the US Treasury and the US Treasury needs to find a better way to get benefits to people that do not have bank accounts. Their Customer Service is non-existent. You actually have to put in WRONG information to the automated system when you call JUST to GET to an operator.

Direct Express Company Information