1.07/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

225 Direct Express Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Direct Express has got to be the worst in Customer Service through to management is an unprofessional, unethical Company to deal with. After your account has had fraud on it you need to speak right away to someone. After calling the fraud dept and once explained they have to transfer the call to level 2 because there's been some fraud on your account. Then why have a phone number to call the fraud dept that can't even help you and just route the calls to level 2 as that's the dept fraud customers need anyway. In that dept you will either become even more upset after holding for hours and hours or they will just cut you off their line. Tell me when I called them bad I had to hang up because my blood pressure was so high after holding so long just to hear, "We have a high call volume. Please call back at a later time."

I had my account compromised and I reported this to the police and to Direct Express. I completed all paperwork sent for me to complete attaching all their required documents and mail them in. Without me being notified the case was closed and not open for investigating. When I disputed this they said I need to start over and resend all required documents as they did mention to make sure I attached the police report as they didn't get a copy of it the first time. I asked what the next steps would be since they closed the case which I didn't even hear about. They stated I had to dispute the case and they will re-review the case, but mentioned to me to send the police report as they didn't get the first copy.

The disputed case I was told I didn't meet their criteria for fraud. I asked her who made that decision however she couldn't give out that information. I sent upper management and email asking them to send me all the paperwork that showed the entire steps that the fraud department took to investigate the fraud that had been done on my account along with any contact they made to the store, making calls to review the ATM video cameras, calls to the detective etc. The investigation report I received from upper management was SIMPLY my copies back along with their checklist saying I didn't have a police report EVEN tho I got the "lost" police report back with the investigation paperwork. I made it very clear about the footwork I needed to prove to me why my case was denied.

Again this was sent to upper management. So no matter how high you go in the company they seem to have the same mentality or the same attitude about not taking care of their responsibilities. So I DON'T believe Direct Express needs to be able to manage the elderly and disabled peoples monies as every penny to us is crucial. I also believe they need to be investigated and return all our fraudulent monies back to the customers and get reported to the BBB or lawsuit. Never get a Direct Express Card. It's not worth the time or energy to stay sane.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

2/6/19 I went to a Comerica ATM to withdraw $180 out of my account. It took the money off my card but never gave me my money. My ATM receipt says to be verified, but I never received my money. When I went into the bank they said that they couldn't help me because it's not an Comerica bank card and for me to contact Direct Express. I've been calling Direct Express ever since 2/6/19 and all their recording keep saying is due to heavy call volume I have to call back. So what can I do next?

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Debit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Direct Express is a scam on the public which is stealing from its own cardholders as corporate policy and the clueless victims and policy think that anonymous identity thieves are responsible. I have years of experience in complex civil litigation focusing on fraud as well criminal defense. Direct Express stole from the wrong person. I will expose their scam. I am the first person to recognize the scam and explain it.

My Direct Express card was deactivated and a new one sent to a thief who wasn't asked for my pin number, challenge question answers or identifying documentation of any kind. They gave my name, SS number and debit card number over a 5 minute phone call to Direct Express. There was zero security. I have to enter pin numbers and other forms of i.d. just to check my balance. Direct Express intentionally designed their system to make it easy for identity thieves to steal your account and they make it impossible for the legitimate cardholder to communicate with Direct Express and get their card back.

I learned on Feb 1, 2019 from Direct Express that they blocked my card and sent one to a thief who gave no pin number or any form of i.d. documentation. Supervisor told me during the fraud complaint call I made that day that the thief's fake card would be deactivated and not to worry, my benefits were still pending and not yet posted due to the government shut down and they were immediately cancelling the fraudulent card which was useless because Direct Express was informed of fraud before my deposit hit my account. However, the supervisor who admitted the money hadn't yet posted lied because the fake card was never blocked and when my money came in later it was deposited in the fraudulent account that they knew was fake.

I have been locked out of my account and been isolated from communication and refused my card ever since because the dozen faxes of my 2 forms of i.d. are getting trash canned by Direct Express which lies by denying receipt of any of them despite a dozen fax confirmation receipts. The scam begins with criminally weak security which facilitates easy card theft. The victim calls in on a scam phone line which tells you 499 times out of every 500 attempts that there is heavy call volume and hangs up. It is nearly impossible to get to the pointless step of reaching an agent who really isn't a customer service rep and you have to just keep hitting 4 and 1 dozens of times to luck your way in to getting out of the circular maze which won't let you in because your blocked card's number is no longer valid for access and your pin becomes locked after the several times you try to enter your blocked card number.

When you get through the intentionally designed gauntlet and reach an agent on your 500th try (literally) he will tell you he's level one, knows nothing and will transfer you to level two who also can't help and they transfer you to a nonexistent department and the call drops every time. The furthest you will get is to be told that new, extra security that the thieves aren't burdened with is being implemented on your account due to the breach that Direct Express intentionally made so easy. You will be told to fax your address and copies two forms of i.d., even though you've fully verified yourself with pin numbers challenge question answers, none of which the thieves have to provide.

They know you are legitimate and they freely discuss confidential account info with yet they provide a weak excuse for denying you your card until you wait 48 hours for fax processing to call back in to the fake phone line at the fake customer service call center and be told the lie that your fax wasn't received after waiting the 48 hours. If you send the same fax 1,000 times and have confirmation sheets they will still deny receiving your fax. They will never, ever admit receiving your fax and you will be forever locked out of your account and perpetually denied a new card.

Customer service is a fake department filled with criminal conspirators, who are not really agents, they are merely a defensive front to run interference and keep you from ever getting back your card. There is no level 1 or level 2, that's just a treadmill for hamsters to run in till they ultimately give up. Depositors have federal liability protection which Direct Express ignores because they aren't a private bank as you will be told by any government agency you go to for help including the police who say Direct Express refuses to cooperate with them which prevents any investigation; Comerica bank which runs the scam are not some untouchable private entity which has found a way to evade federal law by hiding in the clouds of cyberspace, they are part of the U.S. Treasury and protected by them. This is why even police and even the FBI claim their hands are tied and there is no known recourse.

File a BBB complaint on Direct Express and the website will show Direct Express objecting to each claim on the grounds that they are part of the U.S. Treasury and not subject to the BBB. The entire Direct Express procedure is carefully designed at every step to facilitation easy, lightning fast fraud while making it impossible for their actual cardholder to ever get their card back. By the time you have repeatedly sent your faxes in which never get processed you will be told your account is empty, every time, even when your fraud complaint is made well in advance of your next deposit. This fact alone is proof that Direct Express is itself stealing social security funds from its customers, a fraud on the U.S. Treasury who just happen to control the not so private bank operating the scam.

By this time, you will be permanently blocked from your account and Direct Express will have control over your social security benefits until you can find another place to have your account deposited, which you better do before they steal your next check, for which they will never even be investigated for much less prosecuted. No government agency of any kind, including the courts and the FBI will help you. They will all scratch their heads about what to do and tell you, "You are on your own." Direct Express will never process your fraud claim but likely files one on your behalf behind your back and keeps the money, but that's the only thing I'm not 100% certain of here.

By itself alone, the Direct Express system and procedures prove the existence of their scam and their responsibility for it. Fake phone lines that hang up on you 99.8 percent of the time. Useless agents who keep you isolated from communication and locked out of your account with fake level ones and level twos and then hang up. A fake fax machine which sheds your fax so you never get approved to get get a new card when you finally get through on the 500th try where a useless level lies that your fax was never received and then transfers you to a nonexistent department and you are hung up on. Easy instant access to your account for Direct Express employees carrying out company policy masquerading as anonymous identity thieves.

New, unreasonable security requirements you will never be able to fulfill keeping you forever locked. Your money gone even after you report fraud on an account which doesn't yet have your money deposited. Direct Express is stealing social security funds from its customer/victims. Everyone associated with Direct Express belongs in prison.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I had charges to my Amazon account that weren't mine. Amazon knew they were fraud because they told me. These charges didn't show up on my history. Amazon refused to refund me. Direct Express said I agreed to the transactions. I didn't know about them because I hadn't got my bank statement yet. So they said they wouldn't return the money. Topeka water department was hacked in October 2018. They didn't tell us until mid December. I cancelled that card right away. January 9 I got my bank statement. It showed the fraud charges. Amazon won't tell me who it was so I could press charges, the detective's problem won't look into it. The water department says they're not accountable and Direct Express never does anything. If there is anyone out there that got results from Direct Express please let me know. I've never gotten help even with proof. I think they use a standard letter.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

They don't care if you've been hacked. Even if they clearly see its charges outside of the U.S. I call to wait 45 minutes, to barely tell her my social security number and she hangs up on me. Still waiting an hour later. They don't care that we live off that money. They are almost impossible to get ahold of. I have never seen a bank so hard to get ahold of. Never ever again will I do business with these monsters. They have nonexistent customer care.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Express?

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

Today February 1, 2019 I went to call my card to see if my benefits were on my card. To my surprise, $803 dollars was stolen from my account at an atm in Florida and I stay in Cleveland Ohio. How could this ** happen when I have the card in my possession. I called Direct Express numerous times before they decided to answer. I had to go through every other option to get a live person and then they told me I had to wait 3 to 5 business days to get another card and that I had to file a claim for fraud and there is no guarantee I would get the money back. My car note is due tomorrow along with rent, light, gas, cable and household products I have to buy. This is ** and has never happened before. The money was withdrawn at 12:59 am... I can't believe this and I am angry...

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Prior to my existing account from days before I get my funds as benefits in my card. I called and it seems I have no pending deposits in my card. I usually get my pendings deposits within 4 to 3 days before I can know my new balance. Understand why that there is an error due to my benefits that the Social Security Administration saids nothing about me getting my benefits again, as of 1/31/2019. I still have no pendings. Guess I'll have to wait for the remaining day of the last day of the month to end.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Benefit payment not showing for Jan 2019. Called company, uncaring service representative with mundane, robotic voice told me to call VA. I called VA, system says benefit paid. After research found out that payment information not showing for most. Direct Express guy knew that and still blew me off to VA. Horrible customer service. Typical with these parasite companies associated with VA. Thanks for your service my **!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

My Direct Express card usually shows it's pending 4 days prior to the deposit date. I called the social security office and they said I'm still getting paid however my Direct Express card and your customer service line says nothing is pending. What is going on!!!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Unauthorized charge was placed on my Direct Express social security disability debit card account on 1/11/2019. Called Direct Express immediately that day when I was notified by phone notification of a transaction in the sum of $907.05 at BJ's Wholesale Club in Central Valley, NY. They told me that they had to wait for it to process before I could file a complaint. It cleared on 1/12/2019 and I filed a formal dispute. I cancelled that card and received a new one for a fee of $13.50. I also received a dispute form which I promptly filled out and faxed back and sent return mail registered. As of today 1/24/2019, they said they did not receive my fax which I sent 48 hours ago. Getting the runaround. Need a provisional credit so that I can pay medical bills and prescriptions. Can you help with this matter?

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Had my money stolen this month, filed a claim. Been waiting weeks, still nothing. I'm on disability and needed that money to get by. Now I'm near homeless and my payee doesn't give a damn about fixing anything. Thanks a lot Direct Express. I hope to you all go to prison for the fraud you are creating and doing nothing about.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I have had my account hacked twice. The first time in September 2018 from which I filed a dispute but was told I was to blame and didn't get any of my money back. By the way my card was in my car that was stolen from me. Now it was hacked again on January 3 2019 within minutes of my money being added to my card. I caught it real quick, made the calls to Direct Express, at that time the transaction was pending which meant they could of stopped it. But no they didn't. So I decided to do my own investigation after Direct Express would just give me bits and pieces of info at a time. I discovered who did it of course it was a false company with a Google number. I faxed the info in and still waiting on a answer. In the meantime my storage unit goes to action on the 25th at 10 am because they want to take their sweet ** time giving back the money. They need to be held responsible. Shut them down.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I noticed that all my funds had been taken fraudulently on 1/4/19. I called Direct Express immediately and was told they had heard of this exact company doing this to others but that I had to wait until the charge cleared the next day before they could do anything. The charge cleared on 1/5/19 and I called them again to file the complaint and notified them that I had done a police report as well. Told I had 10 days from 1/5/19 to complete paperwork they were snail mailing to me. I received the paperwork, completed it, faxed and mailed it with tracking. They received both the fax and the mailed documents, still have not refunded my money from a company they stated they KNOW is fraudulent.

I have called on 1/17, 1/18, and 1/19/19 and each time a rep answers the phone, immediately tells me their system is updating and hangs up! Three days updating? They got the paperwork 3 days apart via fax and mail and still haven't refunded my money? This company is horrible! They do nothing to refund fraudulent charges, three days (and probably more to come) claiming an update, you can accomplish nothing via their website, and their customer service does nothing to help! The Treasury Department needs to find a better, more reputable company to issue their benefit payments. Those of us living on Social Security cannot afford to have our money stolen and a company that does nothing to resolve it.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

No customer service, terrible website. I have submitted 6 requests to change password. They keep telling me the email was sent, it was not. I have no access to any account services. They NEVER answer the phone other than the rabbit hole chase to a dead end. They handle monies being disbursed by the federal government with virtually no accountability. The bank itself, Comerica is totally inaccessible.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Credit reversal issues. Money authorize. Company verified that they return my funds to cards days ago. Still not credit to my acct by Direct Express. I have reached out to customer service number on the back of the card to dispute multiple times. Get message stating high call volume. Call back later then line releases. Hangs up. Not efficient customer service. I came across a post link that could possibly be of consumer benefit to others experiencing same issue.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Jan 2 2019 I checked my debit card balance on my direct express debit card I went from $211.04 to nothing. I had not been anywhere and I wasn't around anyone. And nobody's ever had my card or pin. I'm a very private person. I'm disabled and my money was stolen. When I told Direct Express they put the blame on me. I also reported fraudulent charges 2 to SSI and the local police here. I informed all major credit companies of the bogus charges. Direct express said they'd open a dispute claim by Jan 4. I found out they lied. No dispute claim was opened. I then requested to open a dispute claim again. They gave me a number to the dispute claim and I added that to my police report. Direct Express said I'd get paperwork in the mail about my dispute. I still have nothing from them. Someone from Direct Express number called Dec 31.2018. I missed the call. Never called back.

By Jan 2, 2019 the money was stolen from my account. Direct Express is trying to cover up the matter and blame the disabled victims. Gov.com warns about the scams with Direct Express but not everyone has online access. I didn't see the warning until Direct Express did this. The card is through SSI. Why didn't SSI discontinue the card services if they knew this? I live in Wisconsin. I traced the charges and store numbers to those charges to New York. Funny again I live in Wisconsin. I do not know anyone in NY. I have not visited there in yrs not since 2012. I moved from New York to Wisconsin. In fact I did not have Direct Express until I moved to Wisconsin. 6 yrs no problems with them until now. I'm broke and Direct Express said I probably won't get a penny back even with a dispute claim and investigation.

Also I tried calling back to dispute 2nd charge. I was told, "You cannot dispute pending charges." One was still pending. 3 days of back to back calling Direct Express. All I got was a msg saying, "DUE TO HIGH CALL VOLUMES CALL BACK LATER." The line disconnects. By Jan 5/6th I finally reach someone at Direct Express only to find out no dispute was ever opened as customer service said Jan 2 2019 to me. Charges weren't pending. In fact Direct Express pushed through the charges and tried to make it look as if it's the victim's fault. Just because we're disabled doesn't mean we're stupid or dumb. Stealing is wrong either way but stealing from disabled you're even more of a low life than it looks on direct expresses end.

When I informed SSI I told them I seen the warning after the scam with Direct Express tears and all I explained my situation card was canceled. Jan 2, 2019 I got my new card. They charged me $13 to replace my debit card. After all this scam/fraud crap I know it's them. A lot of people are upset at Direct Express and they should be. I know I am. We count every penny because we have to live too. So sad because if it's been known somebody should have discontinued that card service back when complaints first started happening too much. But SSI continues to allow it. A warn against the company direct express not all of us would have became victims had the services had been discontinued now.

I froze my credit and red flagged my name and SS# with all major credit companies. Due to government shut down go online if you can and red flag your info etc I'd say just in case because Direct Express has your SS#/dob/name/address etc. Remember they need your info for your debit card account. So I switched my direct deposit to a different account by Jan 3, 2019. Direct Express asked me a really odd question Jan 6th, 2018 when I requested to open a dispute claim after finding out it wasn't open the night Jan 2, 2019. Direct Express asked if I had any other accounts or bank accounts? They've never asked me that ever. It was like they knew I switched my direct deposit or requested to switch with SSI. I said NO on purpose. I do not trust Direct Express and I believe it's them scamming all of us so I did not say yes. I did not give any info on bank or account name. None of my reports mentioned new bank info.

My guess is they see SSI's request to switch. New bank is well aware of the situation. Nobody can call in to change my bank info or get my bank info. Switch your benefits from Direct Express asap so they don't keep scamming you. I hope they get caught because SSI said it's easy to hit us. We're disabled. The debit card was through SSI. When I told Direct Express, "I want my money back. This is wrong. Your company allowed this and you're responsible as the card company to look into all fraudulent charges/matters" they get quiet. I mentioned the police/SSI knows everything. Same response. They get quiet. I said. "I'll get a lawyer and take the company to court." Same response. The rep got quiet. They know they been doing this/allowing this but if a victim shows fear and puts no stop to Direct Express they'll keep doing these bogus scams!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Someone charged my card for hundreds on Amazon using another account. I reported this to all authorities. However I couldn't pay my rent. I asked them about provisional credit. Just knowing they would figure out I didn't steal my own money. Not knowing that I would have to pay them back. Now starting February 2019 I'm going to get ripped off again by Direct Express. I never authorized any charges through Amazon. The FTC should check both of these crooked companies.

Same thing happened last year same time. It was $14 taken without my knowledge. Direct Express didn't even want to give me credit for that. They literally brushed me off. Took forever to receive the paperwork. The Reps are just programmed to read a script only. They can't feel your distress or hear it either. This is too easy-peasy to rip off disable people on disability. Direct Express don't even care. I have no protection with this card. I will be discontinuing my service with Direct Express.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I was told that someone was trying to fraudulently change my address on my account. They had flagged my account. I was told to contact the Soc. Sec. office which I did many times. 2 weeks later I'm still waiting to get my Soc. Sec. funds. I've done everything that was asked of me and still nothing. The Social Security Office doesn't know what U.S. Direct Express requires and are as incompetent as U.S. Express. I've had to make a loan just to keep my phone on and pay my car insurance. I've been fined a late payment for my car insurance. My phone company added extra minutes on my phone 4 different times so I'd have a way to contact them and the minutes were used up being put on hold and being hung up on.

I've talked to rude people at Direct Express and the Social Security Office that obviously didn't know what they were doing. They tell me it's Fraud Prevention. The only fraud that's going on right now is with our government. If they keep our funds in their account they gain interest... People we need to pass laws that will get rid of the dead weight in Congress...can them all and start over with someone that works for the people. Make it mandatory term limits.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I learned on 1/6/2019 that my info had been compromised and fraudulent charges were made on my card. I contacted customer service, was transferred to another department, and was on hold for an hour. I hung up and tried to call back. There was no option to speak to anyone. I barely subsist as it is and now am completely broke. Something needs to be done.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

Used ATM 12/19/2018. Machine won't issued money. Found out 15 min later ATM had deducted $400.00. Called Direct Express right away to stop it. They said they couldn't. They said I had to file paperwork to look into it. Never received paperwork til 12/28/2018. After waiting a week, every time I call I get message saying they're busy and hangs up. Trying many times. Then went online to my account, it says not active. Here it is 1/06/2019. I'm going to tell everyone I know how bad they are.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I had spent 6 hours in the Social Security office and so security has release my funds but evidently Direct Express doesn't know how to. They try to hold your money until last minute like they don't have money. Then whenever you try to talk to a supervisor it takes 20 minutes to even speak to one of those. If I was somebody that didn't need a company to direct deposit my Social Security into I wouldn't go through them.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

On 12/7/18 someone used my card number to make 2 purchases, I called Direct Express within 5 minutes of seeing the charges on the 8th. They took down all the information, cancelled my card and sent another card and a fraud form to fill out and return which I did on the 13th. On the 18th I called and Direct Express said they have not received my written complaint yet and nothing could be done as far as giving me a provisional credit until then, I told them my entire income is SSI and I have nothing at all left to survive on starting on December 10th.

On 12/21 I called again they said the same thing, no statement received yet. I called again on 12/24/18 and they told me once again that they have not received my statement and the lady after listening to my story said she could escalate my case to someone higher up, on 12/26/18 I called again and was told they have not received my statement yet still and they said you might want to send another one by fax, I told them I have no fax machine and I have no money at all to go somewhere and pay for it to be sent.

On 12/28/18 I called again and the lady said we received your letter on the 26th but that’s 2 days past the deadline to receive a provisional credit and you will have to wait for the investigation to be completed to receive your money back. I said, "Your own form states if we receive your letter within 10 business days of the initial call and the investigation is not complete a provisional credit will be issued to your card account, and I cannot control the mail and it has now been 20 days with me calling every 2 days and you're actually going to say I have to wait for the investigation to be finished." She said, "We cannot control the mail either." Then she says, "Can I help you with anything else?" I said, "Yes you people can do what you’re suppose to do and place the credit on my card not use slow mail as an excuse not to apply the credit."

Then I received a call from a Representative at 12.09 pm stating he received my expatriated request, I said today? He said yes, I said that was 4 days ago. I told him the entire story and he said he could get this information to the investigator on Monday, I asked him if you worked in the same building? He said yes, I said you have got to be kidding me are you telling me you cannot walk less than 100 yards to give this to him! Then I told him, "Place yourself in my position. You have had no money since the 10th until now the 28th and you're telling me I will have to wait to Monday for you to walk down the hall and give this information to the investigator who will then in turn take god knows how long before he will credit my account, is that what your telling me?" He said, "I will see what I can do today and he gave me his number." It is of writing this review about 9:30 pm and my account still shows zero balance. So much for seeing what he could do.

I also made out a complaint with the BBB 2 days ago about everything written here with the exception of today's calls to Direct Express. When someone calls customer service as I have done and they take notations every time you call and then they receive your letter on the 26th which on the call that day. They said they had not received the letter then do nothing as far as crediting your account either on the 26th, 27th, and then on the 28th. Tell you your letter arrived 2 days past the time frame to receive your credit, you have to wonder what kind of personal and company is the federal government allowing to work with people on extremely limited income. This is sad plain sad.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I received fraudulent charges on my Direct Express card on 12-14-18 from a foreign company called Live Mei Taipei. I contacted Direct Express immediately. The representative told me they are aware of this company because several others have had fraudulent charges as well. She told me that once the charges cleared they would give me my money back. Well that was a lie. I called back and spoke with another rude rep who told me that I needed to file a dispute and it could take 90 days. This company is well aware that their systems have obviously been hacked by this foreign company and they refuse to do anything about the many cars users who have had their money taken. This is very unfair and the Social Security Administration definitely needs to discontinue using this company. After my January payment I will be switching my payments to a real bank. This is ridiculous!!

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

On December 11th, I noticed two pending charges on my card from MeMe Live Taipei. There were four separate transactions, The first two at 6:15 AM for $167 total. The second at 10:30 AM for $167 total. I quickly contacted customer service and was told I would need to wait until the transactions cleared to file a complaint. At 11 AM I canceled my card and a new one was issued. At 10:01 PM two more charges appeared once more. More than 10 hours after the card had been canceled. I contacted customer service once again, I now filed my complaint for the previous Unauthorized charges. Customer service and find me the new charges, were simply charges from the previous charges although those charges now took place at a separate time. They took my information, send out my paperwork to file my complaints and Informed me it may be 45 to 90 days until I receive any resolution.

Now, US Direct Express is not held to the same standards by the Better Business Bureau nor Consumer Affairs because they are considered and by all accounts are a government agency. Comerica Bank Has dealt with security issues both externally and internally when it comes to US direct express prepaid debit cards. Please, if you receive government benefits, direct deposit, payroll deposit or wire transfer to your US direct express card, please use this as an access point and either remove the money from your card immediately or transfer this money into a checking account.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

The several times I've been in the unfortunate position of having to actually call them to iron something out have been some of the worst customer service calls I've ever had. This last time I called because I had to replace my broken Direct Express card (issued from a 'ComencA Bank'). She said "O.k., we'll issue a new card for you. That means that we have to put a hold on your current card. You won't be able to use it. You have to wait until the new card comes and you activate the new card". I said, "Fine." She then said "Would you like express delivery - at $13.00? Or regular mail will take 10 business days". I told her, "I'm in no hurry, so regular delivery is fine".

She almost sounded like she was floored. "Really?? It takes TEN BUSINESS DAYS to get it 'Regular mail'" I said, "That's still fine." She asked again: "Are you SURE? You won't be able to use the card you have. You have to wait till the new card comes." I again told her that was fine. She then said "O.k." - in that tone like "O.k. - it's YOUR funeral." Well, she was right! It's now been TWELVE business days - and no card yet! This conversation took place on December 4th, and it's December 19th now. No card.

SSI needs to REVIEW this company that they depend upon to execute their money transfer/handling!! This company is just the WORST. Every time I've called, the representatives sound like they really would rather be doing something else. They have an air of "we hold all the power - so you better do exactly as we say." They just reek of 'abuse of power' when you talk to them. I wouldn't put it past the young lady taking her sweet time putting this card replacement request in (if she did it at all... Judging from some of the other reviews here, I'll probably have to call again, wait the excruciatingly long amount of time on hold, only to discover that the new card hasn't been sent yet 'for some reason'...! I hope and pray that's not the case. Bitter in NYC.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

Today I check my account. It was depleted. Some how charges were made from my account to MeMe Live in Taiwan. This happened on the 15th and 16th of December 2018. The charges are still pending and I was told when I called on the 16th that I would have to wait five days before I could make a complaint. I called them ASAP. Why not stop those payment from going through. I called back to change the card and It would be ten days before the new card comes unless I pay them 13 dollars which my account is depleted and no fund to pay that fee, and it would be here in two days. So now I am checking my account and can't sleep. This is not a secure account as I was led to believe.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I really would not recommend using this company to anyone. I had a very horrible and unprofessional experience with them. I stopped into their office in early November looking to get information on buying a home. It would be my first time buying. I also mentioned that the house I am currently renting for over 4 years has been sold due to condos being built in my neighborhood. So, I was hoping to get the process started as soon as possible. I dealt with Mary **. I thought she was very nice and informative at first. She went through explaining the process with me and advised the first step was to work on my credit. I agreed. She said she would check with her broker to see exactly what I needed to pay off on my credit that would help boost my score the most. After a few days of not hearing from her I contacted her to check in. She advised she still had not spoke to her broker regarding my credit.

It was about the middle of November at this point, and time was ticking. So, I noticed the company also had some rentals available. So, I again messaged Mary and advised her that I would like to at least rent a unit from them in the meantime since they already pulled my credit, had copies of my paystubs and were working with me on purchasing a house. Mary simply sent me a picture of what they had available after I already told her I saw what they had on their website and I knew which one I wanted. So, I repeated myself and advised her of the rental I was interested in. I asked to apply for it. She never replied.

After some more time and beginning to feel frustrated at the lack of communication I reached out to her one more time explaining my displeasure that she never once got back to me about my credit, so I could work on it to start the purchasing process for a house. I also mentioned that my deadline to move was approaching because it is now December and I have until Jan 31st to vacate the house I am in, so they can begin the demolish for the condos. She decided to tell me that me being “kicked out of my house” was not her problem, and there are other companies I can contact and that I am attacking her. How is giving someone feedback on how you feel about their lack of customer service and communication an “attack”? She then proceeded to tell me she was blocking me. Very immature and unprofessional. She never did get with her broker on my credit report, so I never even got to work on buying my first home.

It's now the middle of December and my 3-year-old daughter and I are still looking for a rental because I assumed since Direct Express had all my information already that I could easily get into one of their rentals. But of course, this is not Mary’s fault at all. She could have simply reached out to me at any time and said she was busy, or she couldn’t help me, instead of straight up ignoring me until I told her how I felt. She wasted my time, put a hard inquiry on my credit, and then yelled at me and blocked me...so BEWARE of this company. They will not help you.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Direct Express card is withholding my money. I sent everything they ask me to send via fax. I talk to them. I ask if I could mail. They told me no. I sent so many faxes - still told me they haven't received it yet.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

This company issue a debit card to someone in GA with my husband information. His social security money was taken. It's very difficult to get them on the phone and when you do they're not helpful until push them to direct you to the correct department to put in a dispute. This company needs to be investigated.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I have guardianship of my nephews and have now for three years. Never a problem with their survivor benefits until we decided to switch from paper checks to Direct Express. We switched to Direct Express a few weeks before we moved (keep in mind they knew this info). It is a week after their benefits was due. Direct Express sent a card that has no benefits. SSI office says that Direct Express is the ones we need to talk to, but when you do actually get a real person on the line at Direct Express they are no help either. A foreign lady I could hardly understand said we need to verify identities. WTF. You never put us through this in the beginning. The government does care to put two kids on you, but when you need the money to feed them that is theirs anyways. No one knows a damn thing!

Direct Express Company Information

www.usdirectexpress.com
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.