American Express Gift Cards

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

American Express Gift Cards Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

Original review: Feb. 2, 2023

I received a giftcard from my employer for $100 I tried to buy some air Pods on apple and apparently, the charge didn't go through. Well someone used $99.97 of $100 on my card 4 days later. The company told me that it was a Chinese restaurant and they charged 99.97 on my card and that I need to personally look them up and issue a chargeback with the merchant so that I can get my gift back. The Chinese restaurant and the address that they gave me doesn't coincide, the restaurant doesn't exist or has ever existed in Chicago.

I have spent a total of 14 hours with the Apple customer service and now a total of 8 hours so far with my situation. The wait time is around 25 minutes each time I call. Last time I called, the customer service guy said that I had to talk to this imaginary merchant. I hope that someone that is considering buying prepaid cards to NEVER do it. Personally, I'd give people $10 bill rather than one of these. NOBODY has your back and NEVER will!!! This is the biggest scam on the internet.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2023

We purchased $30k worth of gift cards for our employees. Several cards were used before we even opened the Fed Ex box they were mailed in. This is an internal fraud with AMEX and they hold zero accountability. The physical cards are not necessary to purchase gas, Amazon purchases, Wallet transfers etc. The numbers are stolen off of the cards before customers receive them. AMEX says once we purchase the gift cards it's out of their hands. We give them $30k and they do not have the necessary controls in place to prevent the numbers from being stolen. No more gift AMEX cards for us.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2023

My sister gave my wife and I each a $250 Amex gift card for Christmas last year. We saved them for a Disney vacation this year. When we tried to use them we found that nearly all of the money was gone. These card have been on my dresser sealed in the metal tins they were purchased in since we received them. Both cards have several charges from PayPal accounts. We had about $40 left on one and $20 left on the other. I cannot get any action from Amex. we have just lost our vacation.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2023

Amex Gift Cards seem to be great gifts, right. I used to love them. Big revenue generator too for Amex. I received two $500 gift cards for Christmas 2021 which I kept in the original sealed envelopes. I recently took one for shopping (in 2022 for what I thought would be a Christmas treat) and went to pay and was surprised to find out the card had less than $5.00 on it. Someone had stolen the number and made multiple charges on Amazon from a location in Seattle (I live on the East Coast and have not traveled to Seattle).

I immediately contacted Amex to report it lost/stolen (I was on hold for over 45 minutes) and was told to call Amazon to have the charges reversed. Four calls to Amex and four to Amazon (hold times of over five hours combined – fyi the hold time for Amazon is considerably less than Amex). I was given wrong order numbers twice by Amex and had to call back. One customer service agent hung up on me when I asked him if thought keeping me on hold and not responding to my questions was good customer service. Finally, I got some order numbers and an Amazon service agent was able to find the unauthorized purchases. The thief had deactivated their Amazon account and I was told to reach out to the financial company (ie., Amex to handle the theft and investigation). The end result – zippo from Amex and I am out $500.

When I called Amex the recording states something about activating the gift card. However, on call number two, I was told that when the gift card is purchased, it is automatically activated. However, when you call the phone number on the back of the gift card you are asked if you wish to activate the card which I never did. Amazon wouldn’t do anything because the thief deactivated their account and told me Amex, the financial institution should handle it. Between two Fortune 500 companies who have the power to address this, nothing is being done. Where is the protection of the gift recipient.

I tried to use the second gift card on Saturday, January 7, 2023 at the Apple store on Madison Avenue and 74th Street in NYC. I was trying to split the cost between the gift card and my Delta Amex Card. The charge was declined. If the card is just like cash, why didn't it go through. The DeltaCard online immediately sent me an email asking if the charge was legitimate and told me they declined the charge. Of course, with respect to the gift card I did not hear anything. In a call to Amex again, (on hold for almost 45 minutes) I was told that the money would be put back on the gift card within several days (I believe two to three). On 1/10/2023 I spoke with Chino from Amex as the money had not been put back on the card. My Case # is xx*******. Today is Friday the 13th and the money is still not back on the card.

I cannot begin to express how disappointed I am in the quality of service, knowledge of the rules, the treatment of my situation. $1000 may not be a lot of money for Amex but it is for me. Oh and to add insult to injury, I tried to submit this online and there was an unknown error. I just am telling myself, it is nice to get a gift. It is the thought that counts.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2023

I was given a American Express gift card around Christmas time 2022! I opened the gift card from its original package and noticed the last 5 numbers on the front of the card were scratched off! Called the number on the back and was informed that I would need to send over copies of the card, receipt and my identification. I was told I would receive my card within 14 days. It’s been a month and I have got nothing but the runaround from these people! I cannot talk to "the back office" personnel they claim to be waiting on! I feel like they have taken my money and there’s nothing I can do! American Express should be ashamed of themselves!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2023

I have ordered several 3K American Express gift cards. Completely unopened unused cards have been used by some criminals. I assume this is an internal job within American Express and suspect they are aware of this in reading other ratings here. The customer service line says they have no responsibility for this and that I have to dispute with the credit card I used to pay for the cards. Ironically that is also American Express and they state the issue need to be resolved with AMEX Gift card customer service. Two departments of the same company neither taking any responsibility is massive FRAUD.

I have emailed the consumer affairs division with American Express about this matter. My advice for any consumers is simple. Do not buy these and American Express should stop selling them as from reading this site it is obvious they are aware and potentially participating in this fraud at high levels within the organization. I have lost 18K on this so far and counting as I have other cards not yet compromised but no confidence they won't be as it appears they were hacked or have internal theft issues at American Express. Do not buy these cards.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2023

The security on these cards is an absolute joke and waste of consumer's time. But hey, American Express got their money so why would they want to waste their time or money to make the customers whole again. The money was gone before I even activated the card. My experience is as follows: I was given an Amex Gift car for $150.00 for as a gift for the holidays from my workplace. I tried to activate the gift card online but was informed that I would have to call the phone number instead. Not a big deal. I called the number and they advised me that the card was inactive due to suspicious activity. I waited for 20-30 minutes to speak with a customer care associate and they went over the charges with me. I had just gotten the card so none of the charges were mine. They told me that they would mark the transactions as fraudulent and send me new card via the mail.

I waited the 7-10 business days and received the card in the mail. I activated the card via the phone number and checked the balance and it was only $20.07. I was missing $129.93 from the original balance. I then proceeded to wait 45 minutes to speak with a customer care. After finally getting to talk to someone, I was told that I would have to contact each merchant and ask them for a refund of the money that was taken from my card fraudulently. He proceeded to give me the ID number for the merchants so I could contact them to get the money back. If I could leave 0 stars then I would. I will never use American Express in the future because of this.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2023

I received an Amex gift card from one of my bosses for Christmas. I used the card twice and then after that I was not able to use it. The message said there was an issue with the card. I called the customer service number and waited 30 minutes for an agent. The agent did not speak English and I asked to be transferred to a supervisor. The supervisor took my info and then proceeded to tell me his system was down and I had to repeat all my info again spelling everything twice. I hung up. I tried calling customer service all day…waiting 60 minutes each call and nothing. What is going on with Amex. As one reviewer said, we should file a class action complaint against Amex. They are terrible!!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2023

I purchased $2000 in gift cards in diff denominations and kept them in my safe. Turns out that many gift cards were depleted. Unlike other Visa and MC gift cards which the card#s are sealed -not American Express. All the numbers and 4 digit code are exposed which I am suspecting how many people saw this card before it was sent to me by AMEX. I called AMEX and they are saying it is prepaid gift card and as such, treated like cash. I would have to dispute with the merchant. AMEX needs to do better with their prepaid cards - scratch off code. I lost over $500 and now using them before the fraudsters :(. AMEX's brand is tarnished as far as I am concerned.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2023

I am member of Amex for 16 years and have platinum card, so I decided to use e gift cards for this Christmas for some of my colleagues. I purchased it and sent it. When we back to work after Christmas and found out from those colleagues and those cards does not work and give error when they try to open the e-gift link. First this was an embarrassment for me. I asked them to send me the screenshot so I can send it to Amex. However when I went to e-gift website, I found out that there is NO. Email address in contact session!

So I have to call and after being on hold for over an hour, someone from Philippines, answered me and asked details about what happened, then she put me on hold for another 15 min and told that she can not solve the issue and need to transfer me to technical team. After another 20 min hold, I spoke with someone in technical team and she notified me that these cards has been compromised and they will send the replacement (new link)!

I explained that those cards was for Christmas and not that Christmas passed, there is no point to send them, so I asked that compromised cards cancel and refund me BUT she told me that she can not and I need to talk to customer team again. She transferred me to customer team, another 40 min hold! I spoke with another representative (again from Philippine) and after arguing for 15 min, she told that she can not cancel the orders! I asked her to talk to supervisor or provide me an Email address, so I can show the issue but she refused and told they DON’T HAVE supervisor or Email!!!! Now it’s 10 days After I paid for gift cards and all of my money gone and no one responsible. This is a clear SCAM.

American Express author review by Kathryn Parkman

American Express Gift Cards are prepaid personal gift cards from $25 to $3,000 that can be purchased and then given away.

• Pricing and fees: There are no usage fees associated with American Express Gift Cards.

• One-time use: American Express Gift Cards aren’t reloadable.

• Customizable: Select from dozens of designs and customized messages.

• Widely accepted: Cardholders can use the card anywhere American Express is accepted, both in-store and online.

• No Expiration: Gift card funds never expire.

by Kathryn Parkman ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs Research Team, Kathryn Parkman believes everyone deserves easy access to accurate and comprehensive information on products and businesses before they make a purchase, which is why she spends hours researching companies and industries for ConsumerAffairs. She believes conscious consumption is everyone's responsibility and that all content deserves integrity.

American Express Gift Cards Company Information