Looking for a prepaid debit card?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

American Express Gift Cards
1.03/5

American Express Gift Cards

American Express Gift Cards Reviews

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

Suddenlink sent me an Amex reward card for being a valued member. Card was issued on 9/28/2019. Got my card, went online to register it, and everything looked good. Went to use it, DECLINED. Checked balance, $1. Saw that the card was used in California, draining the balance to the $1. Called the customer support number and was told there's nothing they can do, that I should just ask Suddenlink for another one. Absolutely zero concern for security, what kind of company is this?! ZERO STARS.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

Never buy one of these cards. Amex completely disregards the expiration date on the card and at some arbitrary point will drain the balance due to "inactivity". It happened to me with a $500 gift card that had several years left before it expired. Their customer service department is terrible and just gives you the runaround.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Debit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 26, 2019

I bought over 80 cards different denominations. 5 months later found out most of them were used, and no credit left. Gift card department is horrible, no support at all. And American Express does not protect us against fraud although I bought them through American Express. Very sad and disappointed at American Express. Shame on them..

Original review: July 6, 2019

After reading all the poor reviews from AMEX gift card, I wanted to share my experiences here with you guys on https://www.amexgiftcard.com/. Honestly, this website or company is a joke. I feel this is an entirely different company than Amex credit card department. I literally, tried 10 times, purchasing gift cards from them, but kept getting error messages, saying the data I entered is incorrect. Guys, and ladies, seriously, DO NOT EVEN TRY to purchase anything on this website, it will not go through. Stop wasting your time. For one time, I thought it's because I have been trying to purchase over $8,400 in gift cards, then I tried it with only 2 cards, same, nothing will go through, don't even bother.

Original review: May 17, 2019

Received a $100 AX Gift Card years ago. The front of the card still clearly says, "Valid Thru 09/20". It's May of 2019 and the I tried to use the card for the first time and surprise, not valid any longer. I called and they said due to inactivity it was drained. What? It's a year and a half until the Valid Thru date! They refused to re-issue a card. Deceptive and fraudulent. Never buy a gift card from these scammers!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

Original review: May 13, 2019

We were send a $1,000 Amex Gift Card from Delta for staying off an overbooked flight and waiting until the next day to fly home. Our cards came in the mail and we kept track of all of our spendings on it. One was spent down to .29 cents, I saved mine at $362.00 to use in March when family was coming to town for four weeks. I was going to not bring what happened into the equation, as I hate to use this as a "crutch", but it is a fact and relevant to the situation.

In March two family members came in first. We stayed a couple nights at the Stratosphere or the north end of the Las Vegas Strip. It was raining and chilly this March night and we were going back to the hotel after a nice dinner, only a few blocks away at the SLS. We were robbed/mugged by two men from our walk from the SLS to the Strat. I was pushed out of my wheelchair and it was knocked over. They stole our purses, jewelry and two watches. They were homeless men. It looked to be, which is tooo bad, and I often give homeless money from time to time (I still will, there are many who are kind and do need it).

I called my bank and credit cards, and everything, including Amex Gift Card. I did not have the Gift Card full number written down, which is unfortunate. I did not do this. But I had the last four digits and all the purchases written down. They told me without the 15 digits I cannot redeem the remaining balance of $362.00...Unless, I have the number the number on the package in which the card was sent, or the Delta confirmation code of purchase. I threw away the package when it came in the mail over a month ago, so I contacted Delta.

They gave me three numbers proving the Gift Card was purchased by them and sent to me. Amex said that was not enough information. They asked for proof of my address such as a utility bill, confirmation of the gift card sent beyond just the number. So I sent them the email of the card being sent from Delta, the arrival date of it, my water bill, copy of all the transaction directly from their site that I had previously taken, and confirmation letters from Delta. Amex then said they would still not redeem the gift card. Then yet another manager said she would, and I resent to get an email saying they can't without the fifteen digit number.

I am disappointed and spent many hours on this to have me jump through hoops and then tell me no. To top it off, the man on the phone did find my card information, and he told me before I said anything, the exact balance, but then when I asked him how he knew the balance, he said he accidentally told me. So, they did see I had a remaining balance and would still not give me a replacement card. The whole thing has been frustrating and dishonest. I will never purchase an Amex gift card, and I told family and others not to either after this ordeal. We all have Amex Gold Cards and above, and a few people have actually cancelled them because of the way I was treated and promised false information. Done with Amex.

Original review: May 12, 2019

I received an e-mail from American Express offering to defray the $3.95 fee when I purchased a gift card. I entered in all the information (several times). But, each time the system would not let me enter the info to check out. Have had an Amex card for over 40 years. So disappointed I cannot use it to purchase Gift Cards. WHAT'S HAPPENING TO AMERICAN EXPRESS? I am use to it being extremely reliable.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I have 3 $25 AX Prepaid Gift Cards my Company gave me for Rewards. Gave one to Employee yesterday. Rejected at Pizza Shop. I called AX and said they need reissued and the only person that can do that is the buyer whose name is "John". Would not give me the last name. I have no idea what "John" in a 3,500 employee company. Talked to some guy from/in a foreign country. Said there was nothing he could do. His shift supervisor said the same. THIS IS JUST BAIT AND SWITCH THEFT!!!! NOT good until January 2023.

Original review: April 18, 2019

According to AmEx, it was used by someone in Omaha, NE for medical purposes. I live in NY and was never in Nebraska. It was sealed in original packaging the day I went to use it. How could that be???

Original review: April 19, 2019

I had $100 gift card that I got from Sprint. I forgot to use them because I was kept on using my credit and debit card. After few months then I checked the balance, it came out 0. I called them and they said they have deducted the Maintenance fee. Seriously, what kind of maintenance was needed on the prepaid gift cards. I need my money back..

American Express Gift Cards Company Information