American Express Gift Cards

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

American Express Gift Cards Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Gift Cards?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

Original review: Sept. 25, 2022

I had $3000 American Express Gift card that was issued in Feb 2021 with the Exp date of Jan 2030. I kept it safe in my locked drawer. When I tried to use it today 9/25/2022, I found out the balance only $45 left. I checked the balance of my gift card online, I saw there are 3 transactions on Aug 2021 that I didn't do. The transaction history shows the card was used for Amazon.com $523, AMZ.Frafrance.net. $723, AMZ.shop Marriott $1707, I called Amex and they said to call the merchant. I called Amazon, they tried to look up the transactions ID but they were not able to find it.

I believe these transactions are done by a group of scammers who hacks Amex Gift Card numbers. American Express is known worldwide. They should pay attention and find a better solution to avoid these kind of frauds. I can't imagine how many cards were hacked and how much money those scammers have collected from the Amex Gift Card. There's no other solution for us besides avoiding buying Amex Gift cards, or use the gift cards immediately.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

Purchased 4 ($500) gift cards in December of 2021 and gave them as gifts to our children. One of them attempted to use the card this month (Sept.'22) and discovered that it already had unauthorized charges of $465. I alerted my other children to check their balances and they found that their cards also had unauthorized charges. All of these unauthorized charges happened within the last 4 weeks. I called customer support numerous times and was read the T&C and told to contact the merchants.

When I attempted to escalate to supervisors and managers I was put on hold for 40 minutes and right before the 60 minute mark of the call I was told that there weren't any managers available, but they would call me back. I'm still waiting! There is obviously something wrong with the Gift Card product when it can so easily be breached. AmEx refuses to own up to the issue. I've been an AmEx card holder for 32 years and have probably charged $500k - $650k during those years, but I'm taking my business to one of their competitors.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

American Express Gift Cards are a Scam. Went to pay at a restaurant with my $25 American Express Gift Card. It was declined. I went online and checked my balance. I had $25. I lost my card and they will not replace it, seeing that I have the balance. They asked for my card number. I don't have it. I lost it. I have the packaging it came in. That's not enough. Bet, they hope everyone loses their card... To the person that's thinking of purchasing an American Express gift card for someone. Just don't give them anything. You'll be saving them a huge headache and a lot of mental anguish...

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

After reading so many comments, I think I can no longer be silent. My experience is the same as that of most of the people in the reviews. I purchased a 1000 dollars gift card on American Express official website in November 2020, I kept it in a safe once I received card and it never been used until last week when I tried to use it in Madison Ralphlauren store, I was told it doesn't works, the ending is the same as everyone else here, AE card company does not take responsibility or provide enough information for me to try and attempt to get the money back, their security system vulnerability becomes OUR PROBLEM. As a consumer, it is impossible for us to win the rights we should have. I wonder if there is a lawyer firm who can fight for us to sue this irresponsible company that cheat on us and stole our money. The only thing that we can do now is for more people to see this and NOT BUY their gift cards.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

I purchased over 50 (fifty) AMEX Gift Cards that were sent DIRECTLY by American Express by overnight mail. Those gift card range from $25 to $1000 worth per card. I personally stored in a personal safe to which nobody else had access. The cards were given out over time to various people. 3 recipients complained that the card provided already had charges from the SEALED envelopes provided by Amex. The card value is $100.00, $1000.00, and $3000.00. I called Amex and the representative basically said:

1. Purchaser agree the term and condition when purchasing the amex gift card.
    2. Your card is hacked but Amex is not responsible (refer to the T&C).

3. Purchaser must contact the all vendor directly to complain and dispute.

It seems like: Amex is aware of the situation but washed their hand on fraud responsibility and Amex will not do anything to protect its customer and will not fix its system in protecting themselves against hacking.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2022

I purchased American Express gift cards during 2019 Holidays and never used. On 09/03/2022, when I planned to use and checked the balance on my 3 gift cards, I found out that there were unauthorized transactions of around $1350 in Aug 2022 to load cash to the fraudster's 7Eleven wallets in Irving, TX. When I called Amex customer service, they just keep saying "We cannot dispute those transactions and cannot do anything, you just call the merchants to request refund!" and on the other side 7Eleven customer service is asking me to work with Amex and they cannot do anything or refund the money.

I provided all transactions ID's I got from Amex to 7Eleven along with last 4 digits of the cards. With this information, they know the 7Eleven customer(s) who stole the money but still are refusing to help me or stop the scam. The scammers were able to access all gift cards from Amex database and use them at 7Eleven app to convert into cash. Neither Amex nor 7Eleven willing to help customers like me and help stop the fraud. I reported to ftc and also plan to file a local police report.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2022

I believe government or authorities should sue ban American Express from selling worthless gift cards that either have no value in them, the actual value has been dropped, or same card has been used by others and we find out when trying try to make the first purchase. In my case the card did not work at all. Calling them....lol...no one answers. I will complain to BBB. I think everyone should. This is fraud and theft. I was told by a few friends about the American Express and visa, MC gift cards not working for many people and didn't believe it until my birthday came. Such a pity that huge organizations have to steal middle class money in a bright day light and no one is holding them accountable. This is how they became billionaire, through me and you.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2022

I had $1000 American Express gift card. One day, when I checked the balance, I found out that there were $609 unauthorized payment between Aug. 13 and Aug. 14, 2022. on ** and Goold Offerup App. When I called customer service, it was really hard to contact with right department regarding this issue. To make matters worse, they just keep saying "We cannot do dispute those transactions and cannot do anything, you just call the merchants to request refund!" I can make sure American Express is so irresponsible and does not care security although customers' gift cards numbers are leaked! So I strongly recommend never buy an American Express gift card.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2022

I received a $100 AMEX gift card from my boss for going above and beyond and I have not been able to use this anywhere I have tried thus far. It had been useless and I find it insulting that I get this crap card that is only received by a select few vendors. NEVER DO THIS TO YOUR EMPLOYEES! AMEX IS NOT A REWARD. IT IS A BURDEN!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2022

Open the envelope in front of employee when making a purchase to find out there was only $7 left of the $100 gift I had received just a few day before. It made no sense to me or the lady ringing me up as I open a sealed envelope in front of her. I came home and looked the card up online to find out someone had charged $31 three times in the same day to their PayPal months before I even received the card. Customer service was no help in replacing the money that had already been taken. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THESE GIFT CARDS. USE A MORE HONEST COMPANY. My husband's company buys these cards for all their employee for every holiday and we had to tell him our experience on how customer service will not help or replace so that he can switch and stop using American Express. So disappointing.

American Express author review by Kathryn Parkman

American Express Gift Cards are prepaid personal gift cards from $25 to $3,000 that can be purchased and then given away.

• Pricing and fees: There are no usage fees associated with American Express Gift Cards.

• One-time use: American Express Gift Cards aren’t reloadable.

• Customizable: Select from dozens of designs and customized messages.

• Widely accepted: Cardholders can use the card anywhere American Express is accepted, both in-store and online.

• No Expiration: Gift card funds never expire.

by Kathryn Parkman ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs Research Team, Kathryn Parkman believes everyone deserves easy access to accurate and comprehensive information on products and businesses before they make a purchase, which is why she spends hours researching companies and industries for ConsumerAffairs. She believes conscious consumption is everyone's responsibility and that all content deserves integrity.

American Express Gift Cards Company Information