Find a Prepaid Cards partner

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

American Express Gift Cards Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Gift Cards?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

Original review: June 23, 2021

This gift card is great if you want to lose on the full amount of money allotted to the gift card. Expect to at least waste a full dollar. Making this gift dumb and pointless. Actual 50 dollars is better than pretend 50 dollars. You can not actually lose due to some unexplainable issue from customer service. Waste of time. Waste of money. There are better gift cards that do not rob you.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

Was given an Am Express gift card from Hunter Douglass window treatments. Used the card at Eastern Serenity jewelry catalog out of New Mexico. A week later went back to Eastern Serenity to use the rest of the gift card. Couldn’t use it. Checked out my balance on gift card had only .79 cents left. There were 4 charges on my gift card. Called Eastern Serenity to notify them couldn’t or wouldn’t help me. Called Am Express, didn’t care. Never ever buy gift cards from American Express! This company is useless!

Get buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

I received a $25 and a $50 gift card from my boss as a reward and was able to check the balances on both cards online after multiple attempts with a buggy website. After issues with not being to access the full balance of the card due to a 10 cent authorization payment for online purchases, I was finally able to use $24.90 of the $25 card. However the website no longer works for the $50 card, and their customer service line claims that the card was never activated and has zero money on it so I cannot check the balance. I was able to check my balance a week earlier and had $50, where did it go? - Into a scam. Do not purchase these cards.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

Purchased a gift card on Dec. 9th and never received it. I could not get a person on the phone to find out what happened to the card. Finally called the credit card company I used to purchase the card and they were able to get someone on the phone who told me they would open up a case and within 6 days someone would contact me and then send me the card. This means I will not have the card for Christmas. This is the last time I will purchase an Amex gift card. Avoid them like the plaque. I'm not sure why American Express continues to do business with the company that is handling their gift cards. They should be embarrassed by the amount of poor reviews they receive!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

Avoid American Express gift cards like the plague. I purchased several dozen gift cards for my employees to distribute as Christmas bonuses. The cards were received from AMEX in sealed envelopes, and this is how they were distributed to employees... in the same, sealed envelope. Employees went to use the cards and learned that the cards were "compromised" (that's AMEX's word for it). Now, AMEX is doing very little to help. It is obvious that the "compromise" occurred at the point of origin (shipment). I am out THOUSANDS of dollars. I have pissed off employees. Can anyone recommend a good class action attorney to haul AMEX into court? Fraud! Fraud! Fraud!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2020

DO NOT BUY Amex Gift Cards. Amex takes NO responsibility for fraud. Numbers for my card were used to make 18 transactions for a total of over $1,000. (The card did not leave my home.) American Express takes NO RESPONSIBILITY for this and will not refund the $1,000+!!! Their policy is I have to deal with the merchants, but they cannot provide contact information, or any information beyond the day time and amount. Their lapse in security becomes YOUR PROBLEM. Give people cash, or a check... Otherwise, the money can be stolen remotely and you will have no recourse. Amex allowed fraudulent transactions to take place and does not take responsibility or provide enough information for you to try and attempt to get the money back from the merchant. How this is legal, I cannot understand.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

Of course your well-meaning family member wants to get a gift card for your kids. They never expire, so when you finally get around to checking a balance, surprise! You can’t do it online. So you call AMEX and are told, no problem to use it on Amazon. Except you have to buy an Amazon card with it first. And you have to use the chat help to figure out how to do that on Amazon. And only one of three cards work. So you go on chat again and get told it’s a security issue and that will take 72 hours. So you escalate and an Amazon human on the telephone tells you it was declined. Yeah, duh? She tells you to enter it again so you do.

Then it turns out you have to call the same Amex number you started with, and find out why it was declined. You do it like a fool, and get told that the card was “unfunded”. That someone didn’t set it up correctly, but you can submit the original receipt to an email with your ID, name, address and phone and they will review it in 10 days. Suuure! It’s a gift card remember?! I asked if Amex would also like my blood type and my firstborn as well. Oh, and you can’t use an Amex prepaid card on your Amex credit card account. I guess they know better. And so Amex got the $100 that my family spent... Modern day piracy, perhaps?

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

I received 4 of these cards from a well-meaning relative. Unfortunately, these cards cannot be used online. I called gift card customer service and was told the cards read as "anonymous" to online retailers, so they have the right to decline the card. Unlike other gift cards (Visa, etc.) these cannot be registered online. When processing online transactions, merchants verify the card is connected to a valid name and mailing address; that's why other gift cards are useable for online purchases and bill-paying.

These cards are possibly the most useless waste of plastic. I am not able to make in-person purchases due to the pandemic. Don't even bother using these at the gas pump; they'll be rejected. These cards are so pointless not even the online gift card buy-back services will take them. I don't have the heart to tell the person who gave these cards to me they're useless, but AMEX gift cards are useless garbage. Do not give these during the holidays unless you hate the recipient. I have $150.00 of useless plastic that I can't redeem anywhere.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2020

I bought a few of these cards to give to my employees and clients as gifts. As I tried to use one of them to test them, the card number had been compromised and instead of getting the face value, I only got a fraction. Someone had stolen the card number from the issuer and used it. Neither American Express nor the issuer wanted to compensate me for the loss. These cards are issued by a third party that wanted nothing to do with the problem and neither did American Express.

Original review: July 4, 2020

I purchased a $300 Amex gift card from THEIR website (not a 3rd party). I had it shipped to ME. I received the card. I went to use it about a month later. Doesn’t work. I tried to check balance online. Didn’t work. I called-they said “someone named Krista called last week and said their card was stolen.” I said how is that possible when I PURCHASED THE CARD and I still have the physical card in my possession. They asked that I send in a copy of my gift card, photo ID and receipt of purchase. I sent ALL the information requested and they said it would take 3 days. It has been over 2 weeks-the aknowledge they have received all of my information and requested documents and all they can say is “we are so sorry but because a replacement was sent out to Krista we cannot send you one.” So even though the card is mine and paid for by me, They never requested a copy of the card from her or her receipt but they sent a thief my $300 gift card.

American Express author review by Barbara Friedberg

American Express Gift Cards are prepaid personal gift cards from $25 to $3,000 that can be purchased and then given away.

• Pricing and fees: There are no usage fees associated with American Express Gift Cards.

• One-time use: American Express Gift Cards aren’t reloadable.

• Customizable: Select from dozens of designs and customized messages.

• Widely accepted: Cardholders can use the card anywhere American Express is accepted, both in-store and online.

• No Expiration: Gift card funds never expire.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor