American Express Gift Cards

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

American Express Gift Cards Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Gift Cards?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

Original review: May 19, 2022

I tried for 3 days to place an order for 2 gift cards on https://www.amexgiftcard.com/. When writing out the gift message, the site continuously said that the field did not allow special characters (I used NO characters at all - only letters) and would not allow me to place the order at all. The phone number provided for help only offered an automated message to check a card balance, so I called the number on the back of my Amex card - Spoke with about 10 people, but NONE were willing or able to offer me any help at all. I am sooo disappointed with AMEX these days - was always my fav co when they provided real customer service, but they obviously don't care about their customers or their satisfaction any longer (This is not my first customer service issue with Amex in more recent times).

Original review: March 21, 2022

This company is a bunch of crooks. As soon as the card was activated they stole my funds right off the card and they refuse to give me a refund for the money. I spent over 10 phones call on them to accomplish nothing. I am very upset and terms and services suck badly.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 15, 2022

Here is my experience with my first AMEX gift card SCAM - 3/15/2022. Phone Call # 1 – Outgoing at 9:44am EST. I called in to inform AMEX team of fraud - She took down all the info, then said someone will contact me. When I requested that I should be speaking to fraud dept, she put me on hold then eventually hung up. Total call time 30 mins. Phone Call # 2 – Outgoing at 10:14am EST. I called again regarding the fraud/dispute. Pressed lost/stolen prompt. Gave the new lady the same info. She stated I needed to call PayPal. Gave me a transaction ID # and that I needed to call PayPal to resolve my issue. Then she put me on hold and hung up. Total call time 12 mins.

Phone Call # 3 – Outgoing at 10:24am EST. I called again regarding the same issue. "Todd" said the lady prior submitted a claim to dispute the charge, but that there is no claim # to be given. He said they/I will acknowledge the dispute with transaction ID #. He also said that he does not have the # to PayPal's fraud department even though PayPal is a merchant. He claims within 10 days the dispute should be resolved and a refund/re-issue of the new card will be given. I will have to wait and see. Total call time 18 mins. Transaction ID ** | Paypal transaction of $90 on 2.13.22 to Stacy ** (Unknown Individual to me or person I gifted the card to).

Original review: March 8, 2022

Do not BUY American Express Gcards!! Purchased American Express Gcards to two different stores. Walgreens. It says activated but once you check the balance it is empty. Someone had used it, at Apple location in Dedham MA. I called Walgreens, nothing they can do about it because I authorized the purchase, yes because I pay for the card. Advised to contact Amex. After 5 or 6 times calling and being put on hold and get hang up, finally spoke to a supervisor who says nothing she can do because it is treated as cash and advised to call the merchant. Called Apple store where the card was used. Advised to contact the police and file a report. Police cannot give me my money back.

The point and lesson for all this..NO ONE SEEM TO go Above and beyond anymore to resolve or even just listen. I asked Apple manager to look in the sales report, cameras and demanded a refund since someone purchased using the gcard.. They says nothing they can do and they don't even have asset loss prevention. Come on people. DISPUTED the charges, I got the Provisional refund so waited a few weeks to get a new one at CVS. The same thing happened, activated but no money in it. Called both Amex, Apple Store and nothing they can do. So where did the money go, who is responsible, no one seems to take full responsibility. I am not rich to just take this as is. It's my hard earned money and I just wanted to get a card as a bday gift. Whoever is producing Amex gcard, be real because it is my hard earned money. I want my money back and this must stop.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

I ordered gift cards for my employees for their hard work through a busy season. I chose to make personalized cards because I figured they would've more appreciated. It took quite a while to finish the order and thanks to a website error, I had to do it over again from scratch. After I re-completed making their cards, the order went through with my confirmation email. About a week passed and I got a shipping notification that also said that part of my order "could not be processed". It also said that I should direct my questions to the 800 number. I called and went through the computer prompts and was put on hold. A person came to the line asked me for my order number and when I gave it to him, he hung up. Oooo-k then. I call back go through the prompts and this time after holding, it goes straight to hanging up on me. Same thing for a third time.

The 4th time I called from my cell phone instead of our landline and I got ahold of a different person. I asked her why part of my order could not be processed. She said she did not know why "they" decided anything and she could not transfer me to the mysterious "they" to find out. She also said that her supervisor wouldn't know either. She let me know that all they do there at the call center is create "tickets" for things and could not say whether or not anything would happen. She suggested that I just keep the partial order and try to reorder the remainder again. That's all fine and good, but if I don't know WHY it was cancelled, then I may be wasting my time all over again.

I let her know that I need to cancel the partial order until they can figure it out. She said she would create a "ticket" for that and started giving me a reference number since they don't email anything. Partway through the reference number the line went dead silent. I stayed on the phone for another 10 mins waiting for a return, but once again I was ghosted. I guess I'll just have to refuse delivery and order 6 grand worth of visa gift cards instead. Maybe they'll be able to figure it out.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

They don't let you check the balance on your card, with the website having an 'unknown error' for the past 5 years. Once you are down to the last 4 dollars on your card it will automatically decline for anything, even if it's under that amount.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

Purchased digital gift card through Amex, Never even used it. Tried checking balance about two hours later after making the gift card purchase and receiving e-gift card. Was NOT able to check online Or on the phone. Keep getting disconnected every time I would call. Decided to track down CS email and emailed a few hours after that and no response. After 5 phone calls to amex and getting disconnected, they confirm the e-gift card was stolen and purchased made at Apple then informed me to contact Apple. I asked, "How am I supposed to ask Apple to look into it without having ANYTHING for them to reference?!" Their response was "I could provide you with the amount and date." That's not helpful whatsoever since I know the date and amount since I purchased the e-gift card myself and tried to inquire about the balance. Their "LOST OR STOLEN CARD? CONTACT US" is just false sense of security.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2021

I bought American Express Cards that had no money on because they had already been scanned and used. I have 7 American Express Gift Cards that never had any money on them and they were used to scam me.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2021

Do not buy Amex gift cards!!! I wish I could give negative stars. My son got one as a gift for Christmas. We tried to activate by calling the number on the back of the card and received an error message from Amex. Waited 48 minutes to speak with someone who inevitably could not help. They said we have to have the receipt and go to the store where it was purchased to activate it. They do not activate by simply calling the number in the card. You have to activate from the store you purchased it from and the family member who gifted it to us is not in the same city as us. So they told us there is nothing they can do. Worst experience ever just to try to activate a $25 gift card my baby got for Christmas. Absolutely ridiculous, I will never purchase anything from them, give your business to Visa, I’ve never had an issue activating Visa gift cards.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2021

This card is a scam. I was given several gift cards and when I went to use them the balance had been used up. Don't quite know how since I had never use them before. Try using their website...BOY DOES THAT SUCK!!! Then trying calling, phone numbers change constantly, so what is on the card is different from the website, etc. Then when you call you're given a different number. If you want to piss off someone give them a pre-paid AMEX card, otherwise give them something else!

American Express author review by Kathryn Parkman

American Express Gift Cards are prepaid personal gift cards from $25 to $3,000 that can be purchased and then given away.

• Pricing and fees: There are no usage fees associated with American Express Gift Cards.

• One-time use: American Express Gift Cards aren’t reloadable.

• Customizable: Select from dozens of designs and customized messages.

• Widely accepted: Cardholders can use the card anywhere American Express is accepted, both in-store and online.

• No Expiration: Gift card funds never expire.

by Kathryn Parkman ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs Research Team, Kathryn Parkman believes everyone deserves easy access to accurate and comprehensive information on products and businesses before they make a purchase, which is why she spends hours researching companies and industries for ConsumerAffairs. She believes conscious consumption is everyone's responsibility and that all content deserves integrity.

American Express Gift Cards Company Information