American Express Gift Cards
1.03/5

American Express Gift Cards

418 American Express Gift Cards Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 17, 2019

Received a $100 AX Gift Card years ago. The front of the card still clearly says, "Valid Thru 09/20". It's May of 2019 and the I tried to use the card for the first time and surprise, not valid any longer. I called and they said due to inactivity it was drained. What? It's a year and a half until the Valid Thru date! They refused to re-issue a card. Deceptive and fraudulent. Never buy a gift card from these scammers!

Original review: May 13, 2019

We were send a $1,000 Amex Gift Card from Delta for staying off an overbooked flight and waiting until the next day to fly home. Our cards came in the mail and we kept track of all of our spendings on it. One was spent down to .29 cents, I saved mine at $362.00 to use in March when family was coming to town for four weeks. I was going to not bring what happened into the equation, as I hate to use this as a "crutch", but it is a fact and relevant to the situation.

In March two family members came in first. We stayed a couple nights at the Stratosphere or the north end of the Las Vegas Strip. It was raining and chilly this March night and we were going back to the hotel after a nice dinner, only a few blocks away at the SLS. We were robbed/mugged by two men from our walk from the SLS to the Strat. I was pushed out of my wheelchair and it was knocked over. They stole our purses, jewelry and two watches. They were homeless men. It looked to be, which is tooo bad, and I often give homeless money from time to time (I still will, there are many who are kind and do need it).

I called my bank and credit cards, and everything, including Amex Gift Card. I did not have the Gift Card full number written down, which is unfortunate. I did not do this. But I had the last four digits and all the purchases written down. They told me without the 15 digits I cannot redeem the remaining balance of $362.00...Unless, I have the number the number on the package in which the card was sent, or the Delta confirmation code of purchase. I threw away the package when it came in the mail over a month ago, so I contacted Delta.

They gave me three numbers proving the Gift Card was purchased by them and sent to me. Amex said that was not enough information. They asked for proof of my address such as a utility bill, confirmation of the gift card sent beyond just the number. So I sent them the email of the card being sent from Delta, the arrival date of it, my water bill, copy of all the transaction directly from their site that I had previously taken, and confirmation letters from Delta. Amex then said they would still not redeem the gift card. Then yet another manager said she would, and I resent to get an email saying they can't without the fifteen digit number.

I am disappointed and spent many hours on this to have me jump through hoops and then tell me no. To top it off, the man on the phone did find my card information, and he told me before I said anything, the exact balance, but then when I asked him how he knew the balance, he said he accidentally told me. So, they did see I had a remaining balance and would still not give me a replacement card. The whole thing has been frustrating and dishonest. I will never purchase an Amex gift card, and I told family and others not to either after this ordeal. We all have Amex Gold Cards and above, and a few people have actually cancelled them because of the way I was treated and promised false information. Done with Amex.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Debit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 12, 2019

I received an e-mail from American Express offering to defray the $3.95 fee when I purchased a gift card. I entered in all the information (several times). But, each time the system would not let me enter the info to check out. Have had an Amex card for over 40 years. So disappointed I cannot use it to purchase Gift Cards. WHAT'S HAPPENING TO AMERICAN EXPRESS? I am use to it being extremely reliable.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I have 3 $25 AX Prepaid Gift Cards my Company gave me for Rewards. Gave one to Employee yesterday. Rejected at Pizza Shop. I called AX and said they need reissued and the only person that can do that is the buyer whose name is "John". Would not give me the last name. I have no idea what "John" in a 3,500 employee company. Talked to some guy from/in a foreign country. Said there was nothing he could do. His shift supervisor said the same. THIS IS JUST BAIT AND SWITCH THEFT!!!! NOT good until January 2023.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I had $100 gift card that I got from Sprint. I forgot to use them because I was kept on using my credit and debit card. After few months then I checked the balance, it came out 0. I called them and they said they have deducted the Maintenance fee. Seriously, what kind of maintenance was needed on the prepaid gift cards. I need my money back..

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

Original review: April 18, 2019

According to AmEx, it was used by someone in Omaha, NE for medical purposes. I live in NY and was never in Nebraska. It was sealed in original packaging the day I went to use it. How could that be???

Original review: April 17, 2019

I have an Amex Credit Card, and charge almost a million dollars a year. Every year I need gift cards for a trade show that I go to. Every year they cancel my order, never inform me, and cause serious harm. This year they cancelled my $30,000 order, that I placed on my cc, and never informed me. Took hours on the phone. They claimed they contacted me, which they never did. Caused serious impairment to my business. I would NEVER waste your time with them. As an Amex Credit Card user, I feel like they could care less. They don't realize that I now will never be using my Amex card. They have lost a customer all because of their awful service. DON'T USE THEM.

Original review: March 2, 2019

I got an American Express gift card as an incentive for taking a later flight with an airline. I used it to buy shoes and then needed to return them. I returned them and they said I have no balance on the gift card as it expired. The gift card listed the month and not the day they expire. My question would be how could they even refund it if it expired. Ridiculous! So basically they took my money and didn't tell me. Thanks... Will be cancelling my credit card too.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I just got off the phone with what they call the Prepaid Resolution department and came away as unsatisfied as I could possibly be. I used the remaining balance of $147.19 on my American Express Gift Card to make a purchase at Home Depot and then ended up taking the items back. Home Depot threw out the card at the time of purchase since it was now empty (don't ever do that). I took the items back and Home Depot could only credit the card I used.

That was a problem but I called American Express and they had me send the proof of purchase, the credit card info for the person who purchased the gift card for me, the receipt showing the amount credited back by Home Depot, my driver's license, phone number, address, and a signed cover letter. Only to then tell me that there was nothing they could do. That means $147.19 down the tubes. Originally they said if I provided the info they requested they would simply mail me a new card with $147.19 on it. After reading previous reviews, the way I see it they simply don't help anyone in these type of cases. Does all of that lost money make it back in their coffers? Seems so.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I bought two $100 gift cards from Target on November 21st. The both cards a insufficiently funded. I went to Target and they told me that I need to contact American Express. I contacted Amex and their customer service is horrible. It's been 3 months and they are not helping me. Now I lost my $200 for nothing. They are the worst company and this is my worst gift card purchase EVER.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I received a $100 Amex gift card and when I went to use it a couple of months later, it only had a balance of $45.01. I called and was told there was a charge from Paypal for a money order. I never used the card! It sat in a safe in my office!! Amex security sucks and gift cards are worse than cash because they can steal its value while the card is in your safe! Zero stars.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I received an American Express $50 dollar gift card that stated it expired in 04/23 (the year I'm writing this is 2019). Went to use it and it didn't work. When I called the company, they stated they charged the card a monthly fee of $2 after issuance. WHAT?!! !Then the card actually expired approximately 2 years after issuance and not 2023. Like throwing your money away! DO NOT BUY OR SUPPORT AMERICAN EXPRESS!!! They are thieves.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Received my $200 gift card in December. Tried to use it on two occasions in January at merchants and they had no luck running the card. Went to the website to check remaining value: $2.46. Card had been used at a Walgreens in latter December in a city that I don't live. Card has never been out of my possession. No remedy so will send it back to AMEX and they can buy a candy bar. Security of these cards has been compromised at the source.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

My mother bought a $25 dollar gift card plus $4 for card. So $29 dollars. Get the card today on Christmas and try to activate it, it sends me to a man who says that the card has zero dollars because it did not load right. But the receipt says she paid 29 dollars. Great company... NOT. I will never buy from this company again, ripping little kids off. How dare you.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

I've never had any luck with these cards. The first time I tried to use them was at an online cigar vendor while I was deployed to Afghanistan (back in 2012). The vendor processed the order, then advised after the fact that they couldn't ship to my APO address. When I contact AMEX about it, I was unable to get a refund. I don't recall what hoops they wanted me to jump through - I didn't have time to sit on the phone, dig through receipts and jump through hoops because, as I said, I was deployed to Afghanistan. That's the story of the first $100, down the toilet.

Fast forward to Christmas 2018. I received another $100 gift card and had hoped to put it towards a purchase at an online vendor. The total cost of the item was about $110.00. Unfortunately, this online vendor (like most online vendors) couldn't accommodate multiple methods of payment for a single purchase, so the $100 card had to be used elsewhere. I didn't want to use less than $100 because, then I'm just leaving smaller amounts of money on a card that I could easily misplace (which I believe is what AMEX is hoping will ultimately happen). Next, I tried to use it at Amazon by refilling the gift card balance associated with my account. It seems like this would be an easy process which would allow me to use the full value of the gift card and apply the funds towards purchases on Amazon without leaving any money behind on the card.

Amazon, like most online vendors, wants you "Create a new payment method" and doesn't have a special field for using American Express Gift Cards. The AmexGiftCard.com website says that you should enter all your data into the payment line just as you would with any other card (like my name and address, which are not specific to the gift card). Amazon was unable to process the payment, but when I checked the gift card balance, it showed that Amazon had attempted to access the funds. It just wouldn't go through. Finally, I tried to apply the gift card balance to my Amex Platinum Card balance. This seems like a total no brainer (because Amex should certainly accept Amex) but the cards cannot be used to pay off one's credit card balance.

Of the "Hundreds" of businesses that accept American Express Gift Cards, it turns out that American Express does not accept their own cards. 3 strikes without leaving the comfort of my home. In summary, I couldn't get the money back when a vendor was unable to ship their products to an APO address in Afghanistan in 2012. In 2018, I tried to use the card 3 different ways: at a small online retailer, at the biggest online retailer in America, and at American Express themselves. The card could not be used at any of them. I guess I'll have to take it shopping at the grocery store and hope it's accepted there (yippee!).

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

My daughter was saving her gift cards to buy a special gift. I was with her and when she swiped her American Express card it showed zero balance. I called the number on the back and they confirmed that the dollars were used to pay the monthly fees. This is beyond comprehension. American Express stole money from a child. I went on the American Express website to write a complaint and was not able to. This company should be put on the biggest loser list for stealing money from pre-purchased gift cards. If you ever receive one use it immediately and please do not support a company that practices such terrible customer care. It is so sad.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

Purchased the White Metal Gift Card, thinking it was metal. I have a Rose Gold metal card, referenced in the same way. These are not made of metal. They are made of the same cheap material that all their other gift cards are made of. These specifically state they come with a gold envelope, whereas the others don't. And these cost many more member points (more so than the same gift card amount with different design) next to it. In fact... all other gift cards with different design cost the same points as each other for same amount, except this one.

I purchased these and every day the hotline said there was a problem with my order. When I called in to the representatives on each day, they all said no. They said my order was pending and I might get it by Christmas. Today it arrived. Today I talked to them, and they said it was pending, so today, after I talked to them, I ordered a whole new set of gift cards to arrive $500 worth, because I thought it might have been delayed due to the Happy Holiday customization option I selected. So I ordered a second generic (picture only) gift card. Well, these are so tacky looking I won't be giving them out to clients. This is not white metal, as advertised.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I have been ordering gift cards from American Express for my employees at Christmas for the past 20 years. Up until this year it has been a relatively smooth process. However, this year I found out that their gift card division was outsourced/sold to another company which explains the massive problems and negative reviews. I ordered gift cards more than a week ago for my employees' Christmas presents. I received no communication whatsoever from the company and when I called they told me it would be at least another 5 to 10 business days to ship. They also wanted all my sensitive information including Social Security numbers and tax ID numbers from my business.

American Express issued a tiny press release when they outsourced sold this company. I am not interested after the Marriott disaster this week in giving out any more information especially to some unknown company that American Express sold their gift card division to. This experience has given me a very sour taste towards American Express and gives them a black eye at the same time. Next year I will no longer do any more gift card business with American Express. I’m finished.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Call them and tried to repackage into correct gift card envelopes. They never called me back - called again. They were absolutely unaccommodating - wanted a full refund on 60 gift card about 10k. They wanted I should actually read every card # off. Ridiculous. Extremely disappointed. NEVER AGAIN will order from them.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

American Express gift cards - BEWARE!!! $3.00 fee per month, my 3 $50.00 cards are now worthless. Never again using any American Express product. And of course, when you call them, you will be talking to someone from another country with a phony made-up name.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I needed a gift card to make a purchase online (didn’t want to use my debit card). Purchased a card at Walmart. Tried to use the card, it wouldn’t work. Called the 800 number. They didn’t show a balance on the card. But I was charged and it showed on my receipt. They said, I have to fax all sorts of information... So now I have to pay more for copies and fax, Went to Walmart, they do not stand behind them. What does that tell you? I will go send the fax tomorrow! I work too hard to just hand 40.00 over to them! I called American Express 3 times, sounded like they were in India and hard to understand. Need a gift card, don’t get a American Express!!!! I can’t believe Walmart would sell this crap!!!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Beware of American Express gift/rebate cards. After 7 months of non-use, they will charge a $2.00 monthly "processing fee" and drain the card. My personal experience was with two rebate cards that I had been saving to use for a specific purchase. You can imagine my surprise when both cards were empty, completely drained by monthly fees for doing exactly nothing. I look forward to cancelling my American Express card next month. It won't get me the funds I'm entitled to, but American Express won't be getting any benefit from any of my future purchases.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

You can't use them anywhere online, if you try to call their customer support they just tell you the card is active and you have to find somewhere that accepts Amex gift cards. I have to wonder how many people get these things and they sit unused or get thrown away because it's too much hassle.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I lost my American Express gift card that I purchased from Home Depot. The representative from Home Depot gave me the receipt and looked up my card number. I called Amex and have emailed, scanned, and mailed via post office and American Express lie and states they have not received my information. This is fraud and I am reporting this to the authorities.

Original review: June 25, 2018

I misplaced 2 $500 AMEX prepaid cards. Balances were at $470 each approx. on them. Called Customer Svcs and they verified my info, canceled the cards, and said they will replace. Received letter asking for driver license and proof address, which I complied. Another letter arrived-more info needed. Says send receipt and copy of packaging. I had only 1 pkg, and receipts faded, but I had dates of purchase, location, and approximate balances for them. I waited almost 3 weeks for response, which then response was left on voicemail and incomprehensible, as I have hearing impairment. Every request/letter I sent stated "email or mail only" and why. I assumed all was OK because I heard "will send card" and Fax...

Almost 3 weeks passed, nothing. Resent, faxed, every document again and reminded them of American Disability Accommodation Law. No response by mail. I have filed complaint with FTC national agency by mail today. AMEX is in SLC, UT. Since they are not a bank, the Attorney General UT Office could not help. I hope the FTC goes after AMEX and I get my replacements. Based on the data I provided, it is beyond reasonable doubt that I have not filed a false claim of replacement. They were not stolen, just put in a "safe place" and I cannot find them. They want to get out of replacing my cards. I was the one who called that I lost them, and they were deactivated. Why would I call if I was the thief? I will never use their services again.

Original review: May 13, 2018

Last year in January 17, I received an AE gift card in the amount of $500. It was hacked in May 2017, card was used in the California and I am in the East Coast and we called AE and they started an investigation. Months went by and Kept checking on it and got the same answer that they were still working on it and it was document as per their customer service investigator. All the times I called I could barely hear them (their phone lines are a joke). I was using a landline phone. In the end I was told by their Customer service supervisor in India that they could not do anything about.

Original review: May 9, 2018

Unbelievably bad product! So many problems! Customer service center is not in USA. Agents have unintelligible accents. First agent I spoke to hung up on me. Website to check card balance does not work. I tried three different browsers and every time the site says invalid captcha. American Express just does not care about the customer.

American Express runs a scam where a vendor must submit a $1.00 "pre-authorization" for all purchases. This means that YOU CAN NEVER USE ALL THE FUNDS ON YOUR GIFT CARD! This means that American Express adds an extra $1.00 fee to all gift cards. Here is the example: Suppose I have $17.63 remaining on my American Express Gift card. I want to buy an Amazon gift card for $17.63 to zero the balance on the American Express gift card. If I try to buy an Amazon Gift card for $17.63, American Express requires a $1.00 pre-authorization which reduces the "available balance" on the American Express card to $16.63. When Amazon attempts to charge my American Express gift card $17.63, this exceeds the "available balance" and American Express refuses the charge. This means American Express keeps at least an extra $1.00 on every gift card it sells.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I received 2 gift cards last year at Christmas. I have $4 left on one and $6 left on the other. I called Amex to ask if I could transfer the balances to one card. Was told “Oh these are in Canadian funds. I can’t combine them”. I asked if they could combine US funds - YES!!! Don’t buy Amex gift cards!

Original review: March 28, 2018

Never ever buy gift cards from American Express and if you buy or get one as gift keep all the documentation who gave you, where you bought, when you bought and make sure to ask person who gave you the card as gift if he bought the card and take the receipt from the person for the proof. Once you lose the card then don't ever think of contacting customer care, they have bunch of ** who don't understand what the gift cards are and they ask the documents you cannot provide so that they can have the money. I really caution whoever is planning to buy the cards never ever buy the American Express cards. One of the worst Customer Care and they may even call you that you stole the card and you are trying to deactivate the card. They don't even have common sense that if someone steals or finds a card they will go use it and they don't report them.

Original review: March 28, 2018

My 70 -year-old mother bought a gift card from Target so that she could use it later to buy groceries. When she went to go buy groceries the store charged her twice for the groceries. When she called American Express gift card they told her that it was the store's problem not theirs. When my mom called the store they told her that it was American Express's problem and she would have to call them. I just don’t understand why people are accountable for their actions. Why there’s no good customer service anymore. I wish people still cared about the consumer.

American Express Gift Cards Company Information