2. Finance

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

American Express Gift Cards Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Gift Cards?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

Original review: Nov. 8, 2020

DO NOT BUY Amex Gift Cards. Amex takes NO responsibility for fraud. Numbers for my card were used to make 18 transactions for a total of over $1,000. (The card did not leave my home.) American Express takes NO RESPONSIBILITY for this and will not refund the $1,000+!!! Their policy is I have to deal with the merchants, but they cannot provide contact information, or any information beyond the day time and amount. Their lapse in security becomes YOUR PROBLEM. Give people cash, or a check... Otherwise, the money can be stolen remotely and you will have no recourse. Amex allowed fraudulent transactions to take place and does not take responsibility or provide enough information for you to try and attempt to get the money back from the merchant. How this is legal, I cannot understand.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

Of course your well-meaning family member wants to get a gift card for your kids. They never expire, so when you finally get around to checking a balance, surprise! You can’t do it online. So you call AMEX and are told, no problem to use it on Amazon. Except you have to buy an Amazon card with it first. And you have to use the chat help to figure out how to do that on Amazon. And only one of three cards work. So you go on chat again and get told it’s a security issue and that will take 72 hours. So you escalate and an Amazon human on the telephone tells you it was declined. Yeah, duh? She tells you to enter it again so you do.

Then it turns out you have to call the same Amex number you started with, and find out why it was declined. You do it like a fool, and get told that the card was “unfunded”. That someone didn’t set it up correctly, but you can submit the original receipt to an email with your ID, name, address and phone and they will review it in 10 days. Suuure! It’s a gift card remember?! I asked if Amex would also like my blood type and my firstborn as well. Oh, and you can’t use an Amex prepaid card on your Amex credit card account. I guess they know better. And so Amex got the $100 that my family spent... Modern day piracy, perhaps?

Get buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

I received 4 of these cards from a well-meaning relative. Unfortunately, these cards cannot be used online. I called gift card customer service and was told the cards read as "anonymous" to online retailers, so they have the right to decline the card. Unlike other gift cards (Visa, etc.) these cannot be registered online. When processing online transactions, merchants verify the card is connected to a valid name and mailing address; that's why other gift cards are useable for online purchases and bill-paying.

These cards are possibly the most useless waste of plastic. I am not able to make in-person purchases due to the pandemic. Don't even bother using these at the gas pump; they'll be rejected. These cards are so pointless not even the online gift card buy-back services will take them. I don't have the heart to tell the person who gave these cards to me they're useless, but AMEX gift cards are useless garbage. Do not give these during the holidays unless you hate the recipient. I have $150.00 of useless plastic that I can't redeem anywhere.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2020

I bought a few of these cards to give to my employees and clients as gifts. As I tried to use one of them to test them, the card number had been compromised and instead of getting the face value, I only got a fraction. Someone had stolen the card number from the issuer and used it. Neither American Express nor the issuer wanted to compensate me for the loss. These cards are issued by a third party that wanted nothing to do with the problem and neither did American Express.

Original review: July 4, 2020

I purchased a $300 Amex gift card from THEIR website (not a 3rd party). I had it shipped to ME. I received the card. I went to use it about a month later. Doesn’t work. I tried to check balance online. Didn’t work. I called-they said “someone named Krista called last week and said their card was stolen.” I said how is that possible when I PURCHASED THE CARD and I still have the physical card in my possession. They asked that I send in a copy of my gift card, photo ID and receipt of purchase. I sent ALL the information requested and they said it would take 3 days. It has been over 2 weeks-the aknowledge they have received all of my information and requested documents and all they can say is “we are so sorry but because a replacement was sent out to Krista we cannot send you one.” So even though the card is mine and paid for by me, They never requested a copy of the card from her or her receipt but they sent a thief my $300 gift card.

Original review: June 26, 2020

We used to buy gift cards for our employees. Cards go "inactive" way before expiration date. It is a MESS to get them reissued. We had a few reissued and the new cards went inactive within a short period. Called again -- after holding and being transferred to someone who could help, was disconnected. Had to start from the beginning...again. Embarrassing to distribute cards that are inactive when we just received them. Will NEVER EVER buy them again.

Original review: June 12, 2020

I received a $200 prepaid gift card from work for 'AMEX Rewards'. I tried to load it into Amazon for the full balance and it was denied. I tried a 1 more time and again it was declined. The information input to create the pending 10 cent transactions obviously mean everything matched. I check the AMEX rewards gift card balance and it was automatically deducting it from my balance despite it being pending. I tried a third time for a balance of $199.70 accounting for the fact that this was my third attempt (10 cents) minus 20 cents for the other pending transactions. It finally went through and not denied.

If you read their conditions, they also state that unused balances really will expire or incur monthly fees on the balance. This is a consumer scam and should not be tolerated. When you think about the scale of varying balances from 10 cents or even 50 cents; that adds up to major 'savings' and profiting off consumers who can't use the full amount from the start. I am going to be reporting this to the TXAG, FTC, and any other applicable agency I can start an investigation on.

Original review: May 29, 2020

I received an American Express gift card as part of a rebate on a purchased product. When I attempted to use the gift card for an online purchase, which was for the value of the gift card, the transaction was refused. I attempted two more times and was refused each time. My call to American Express Customer Service was terrible due to the spotty and noisy line. I could barely understand the customer rep, but what I could piece together was that a 10¢ transaction fee is assessed for an online purchase. However, I was assured that after the transaction cleared, the 10¢ would be credited back to the card. Since I tried to use the balance on the card, and the 10¢ fee the card was added to amount of the purchase, the card was declined, thereby creating another 10¢ fee for each time the card was declined.

So I asked the customer service rep what amount I could use to complete the transaction without incurring additional fees. I was given an amount -30¢ of the value of the gift card. When I attempted to make a purchase for that amount, the transaction was declined again, thereby subtracting whatever is the balance of this card by another 10¢.

It is my opinion then that American Express should be criticized for their deceptive fees and poor disclosure of those fees to the consumers and companies that use these cards for promotions. I have a bad opinion now of the company that offered the gift card as a promotion, and a terrible opinion of American Express as a company that harbors dishonest business practices for profit. Over a 30¢, 40¢ hidden fees, (or whatever it's going end up), I'll never consider purchasing a service or product from American Express. And if I encounter a company promoting American Express gift cards in a sales promotion again, I will pass my business on to different company.

Original review: May 19, 2020

My name is Giorgio **. I live in Fairfield CT and work in Manhattan. My complaint is most people are unaware of using gift cards. Most importantly, they are just like cash. If you use it to purchase something online and get hacked, nobody can help. Amex or their third-party firm says sorry. A few months ago, I received a gift card from a company. I started to use it to purchase some items on Amazon and local stores around town. Yesterday I wanted to buy another item on Amazon and realized I no longer have a balance. I logged on to Amex Gift Card balance and somebody used the card to purchase computer equipment in the UK. I WAS FURIOUS. I called the number on the back of the card. Waited 1.5 hours before I was able to speak with a representative.

I told her my story and said to me that there is nothing they can do to refund my money. She said I would have to call the retail company. She eventually provided me with a name, address but no phone number. I googled the name while still on the phone with her. I told her nothing came up. She then said that I would have to go to the retail store. I told her I live in Connecticut/USA and the store was in the UK ... No help from them or Amex ... I’m out all the money. It doesn’t seem right at all. I'm sure im not the only one experiencing this fraud. These companies mislead people with zero help. Beware!!!

Thanks,

Giorgio **

Original review: May 17, 2020

Attempted to order a gift card delivered to my daughter in CO. Everything was fine until checkout. They would not take my billing information because I could not enter my state (Hawaii). The list of states went from Georgia to Idaho. They blamed it on my browser which seems stupid. The list is wrong. I am an AMEX cardholder since 77, I have previously ordered AMEX Gift Cards without issue. There was no problem with entering the shipping address only the billing address cannot work without Hawaii on their list of states! Extremely frustrating. Forcing me to use Amazon instead. I've learned my lesson. No more AMEX Gift Cards!

American Express author review by Barbara Friedberg

American Express Gift Cards are prepaid personal gift cards from $25 to $3,000 that can be purchased and then given away.

• Pricing and fees: There are no usage fees associated with American Express Gift Cards.

• One-time use: American Express Gift Cards aren’t reloadable.

• Customizable: Select from dozens of designs and customized messages.

• Widely accepted: Cardholders can use the card anywhere American Express is accepted, both in-store and online.

• No Expiration: Gift card funds never expire.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor