1.03/5
Based on 154 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

393 American Express Gift Cards Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 13, 2018

Last year in January 17, I received an AE gift card in the amount of $500. It was hacked in May 2017, card was used in the California and I am in the East Coast and we called AE and they started an investigation. Months went by and Kept checking on it and got the same answer that they were still working on it and it was document as per their customer service investigator. All the times I called I could barely hear them (their phone lines are a joke). I was using a landline phone. In the end I was told by their Customer service supervisor in India that they could not do anything about.

Original review: May 9, 2018

Unbelievably bad product! So many problems! Customer service center is not in USA. Agents have unintelligible accents. First agent I spoke to hung up on me. Website to check card balance does not work. I tried three different browsers and every time the site says invalid captcha. American Express just does not care about the customer.

American Express runs a scam where a vendor must submit a $1.00 "pre-authorization" for all purchases. This means that YOU CAN NEVER USE ALL THE FUNDS ON YOUR GIFT CARD! This means that American Express adds an extra $1.00 fee to all gift cards. Here is the example: Suppose I have $17.63 remaining on my American Express Gift card. I want to buy an Amazon gift card for $17.63 to zero the balance on the American Express gift card. If I try to buy an Amazon Gift card for $17.63, American Express requires a $1.00 pre-authorization which reduces the "available balance" on the American Express card to $16.63. When Amazon attempts to charge my American Express gift card $17.63, this exceeds the "available balance" and American Express refuses the charge. This means American Express keeps at least an extra $1.00 on every gift card it sells.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I received 2 gift cards last year at Christmas. I have $4 left on one and $6 left on the other. I called Amex to ask if I could transfer the balances to one card. Was told “Oh these are in Canadian funds. I can’t combine them”. I asked if they could combine US funds - YES!!! Don’t buy Amex gift cards!

Original review: March 28, 2018

Never ever buy gift cards from American Express and if you buy or get one as gift keep all the documentation who gave you, where you bought, when you bought and make sure to ask person who gave you the card as gift if he bought the card and take the receipt from the person for the proof. Once you lose the card then don't ever think of contacting customer care, they have bunch of ** who don't understand what the gift cards are and they ask the documents you cannot provide so that they can have the money. I really caution whoever is planning to buy the cards never ever buy the American Express cards. One of the worst Customer Care and they may even call you that you stole the card and you are trying to deactivate the card. They don't even have common sense that if someone steals or finds a card they will go use it and they don't report them.

Original review: March 28, 2018

My 70 -year-old mother bought a gift card from Target so that she could use it later to buy groceries. When she went to go buy groceries the store charged her twice for the groceries. When she called American Express gift card they told her that it was the store's problem not theirs. When my mom called the store they told her that it was American Express's problem and she would have to call them. I just don’t understand why people are accountable for their actions. Why there’s no good customer service anymore. I wish people still cared about the consumer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

Original review: March 28, 2018

I received an American Express gift card through winning a contest at work. I used the card 3 times and each time, the balance was taken out twice, so when I should have had money left on the card, I had a negative balance. I decided to call the company only to find there is no way to get a live person on the phone for a gift card. Needless to say, I will never buy or use one of these again!

Original review: March 24, 2018

I have a warning for anyone who has an American Express Gift Card and wants to use it in a restaurant. When you use the card, even if you write zero for a tip and give a cash tip, the card will automatically take off 20% for a tip. When I called American Express they said it was not them but the restaurant's system. However when I called the restaurants they were clueless about this, because nothing prompted them to include the tip, and she saw I wrote zero for a tip and that's what she put in. So yes, maybe the restaurant gets an extra 20% added to the bill, but it is not seen by the server. I will never use one of these cards in a restaurant again.

Original review: March 9, 2018

I received a $50 American Express Serve gift card and never activated it (although they say I did) and every month they took out $4.95 so by the time I realized to use it there was only $18.54 left on the card. How can a huge company like AX take money from you for a piece of plastic. I want the world to know they are ripping us off by taking money for our card. Give cash as a present or gift NOT gift cards. I will cancel my AX card and never do business with them again. Hopefully you will too.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Completely dissatisfied! Like most hardworking New Yorkers, the day before payday can be tight on funds. I tried to use this card at a 7-Eleven to buy milk and ketchup and it was denied. Then I tried to use it 2 more times while being coached by Amex customer service and it was denied both times. Amex c/s said it was a faulty machine in the store. 7-Eleven doesn't seem to have any issues with Visa gift cards. Maybe Amex needs to take notes from Visa. Full of shame like I did something wrong, I had left the store with my tail between my legs. How embarrassing. I was looked at like a fool in the store and the man who couldn't provide for his family when I got home. Thanks for nothing!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

My husband received a few of these cards as a bonus from his work. We decided to use them to take a trip so made flight reservations. Issues we faced: 1) No one (airline, Expedia, even Amex travel) could take multiple forms of payment so we could not use these unless the charge was less than the card value (i.e couldn't reserve $1200 flight because card value was only $1000). 2) We had to split out our reservations so each family member was on its own reservation so that it was < the value of the card (kids not on our same reservation).

3) When we finally got a charge to go through, it was credited back 10 mins later. The refund back to the card "takes up to 7 days" so we couldn't complete the transaction. 4) Every failed attempt we made to use the card they charge $1, adding up to $8 to get a transaction to go through. ****The only way we found to use these cards without this hassle is to send your spouse a payment on PayPal for the balance of the card. You will pay 3.5% fee to do so, but it is worth it considering how inflexible these are to use!!!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

If you ever lose an American Express GIFT card, don't ever expect a replacement! I have been asked to fax over proof of residency, my State ID, and proof of purchase so I can get a replacement. I am fine with the first two requests, but as defined in the definition of GIFT, I have no proof of purchase as the card was given to me for Christmas by my employer! This has been such a horrible experience! They are thieves! When a company can clearly see there were no purchases made on a Gift Card that has been reported as lost but still refuses to just send a replacement, they're thieves!! They make it difficult to get a replacement because they know after a while, no one will want to deal with jumping through their hoops anymore! I will NEVER recommend them for Gift Cards! RECEIVING THIS GIFT CARD HAS BEEN THE WORST EXPERIENCE EVER! #scam #scammers #thieves

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

Sprint gave me an AMERICAN EXPRESS gift card. As I always use credit cards, I forgot about the gift card. When I went to use the $50 gift card, it had no balance as American Express decided to zero out the balance with monthly FEES.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

Steer clear... Although they advertise that the card is replaceable if lost or stolen, actually the only way that you can get replacement card is if you have the original receipt of the gift card purchase. So if you received the card as a gift without the purchase receipt, don’t lose it, you won’t be able to replace it. It’s unfortunate — I had a $100 card that I made a coffee purchase on and then lost. As instructed, I faxed in a copy of complete explanation, the original wrapper of the card, and a copy of utility bill, driver’s license... everything they asked for — an 11 page fax! Their only response was to mail me a form letter telling me they couldn’t replace the card because I didn’t send the original purchase receipt of the card and no matter how much I try to tell them I never had the purchase receipt because I didn’t purchase the card, it was a GIFT, there is nothing they would do and I’m out $100. What a freaking scam.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017 The name of the card should be American Depress. I bought the card at Walmart 3 days ago. Loaded it with money to pay bills. I am finding very few retailers and businesses accept this scam card. I called the company and they were no help. The only way to get my money is to use the card at Walmart or Family Dollar. Ugh!

I can't use an ATM to get my money and they say there is really no way I can get it. I feel like this is a scam. PLEASE PEOPLE NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO DON'T BUY AN AMERICAN EXPRESS CARD.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

There is not a reliable way of checking your balance online. The online balance check page does not work and it is very tedious. The captcha is terrible and hardly works. If you do happen to make it pass the captcha it will either tell you that the number is incorrect or that the page is unavailable at the moment. I’ve gotten different brands of gift cards. So far AmEx is most difficult.

Original review: July 12, 2017

I received a prepaid reward card from AmEx for going to a 5 hour Club Wyndham timeshare presentation. Every time I tried to use it, it didn't work. I was told that I probably tried to use it at a gas station and that that would not work. That by trying to use it at a gas station, it was put on hold and to wait a few weeks and try again. This kept happening until it expired. Now I definitely can't use it, and AmEx just said "tough luck." What a horrible company!

Original review: July 6, 2017

I got an American Express gift card for my birthday last month. I tried to use it at Sam's gas station in Charleston on the 4th. I entered the card, it asked for a zip code and then it said the card was invalid. I did it twice and each time it said invalid. I called Amex to inquire about my balance and it said I had 0 dollars. I had not used the card and I knew I had 25.00 but for some reason or another, I now have 0 dollars and no gas. How is this possible? I was told I need to wait several days to see if I get the money refunded. This literally stinks and unfair to all the customers who had gift cards from Amex. Never again!

Original review: July 2, 2017

I bought a American Express gift card for $50. That problem is that when you buy the card, nowhere on the card states that after purchase the gift card you have to wait 30 minutes to 4 hours in order to use the card, this is false advertisement! I called customer service only for them to tell me that they can do anything about it and that I should read the terms and condition. The problem with that is in order for you to read the terms and condition you have to buy the gift card since in the package it come with but by then it's too late, they can't return it. No refunds. Now I have to wait. Never will buy their product and I'll will make sure every person I know knows that scam.

Original review: June 21, 2017

I had two $500 AMEX gift cards drained before I even opened their packages. I contacted AMEX who said they wouldn't reimburse the fraudulent charges and told me to contact the merchants. Not a good sign. So I contacted the merchants who then told me to contact AMEX. Big help. They did say transactions were made by contactless payment like Apple Pay with the card's number stored, not with the physical card itself. I relayed this info to AMEX who insisted the physical card was used so they still wouldn't reimburse the nearly $1000 that was stolen. They did however offer to reimburse the $20 that was left. Thanks AMEX.

Original review: May 22, 2017

Okay, so never try to use an Amex Gift card at a gas station pump. I knew I had around 40 dollars left. I went to the gas station and it declined the card. I called later only to find out it was a 0 balance! So I tracked my purchases because I knew I had not used it all. Fast forward, I called Amex. The rep said nothing to me until I kept pushing about where my funds went. Lo and behold he finally told me that when I tried to use it at the gas station and it declined it, they sucked the balance out into a "hold account". Those funds are not available. I have to wait 8 business days for the money to be put back on my card for use.

So basically they don't tell you there are funds in an account on hold when you call. You have to talk to a rep and push. If I would have not kept track I probably would have thrown it away and been out 40 bucks! That is a terrible way to do business!! They would have happily put that money back in their pocket. I call fraud. Based on the reviews I'm seeing here, I just may contact an attorney and ask about a class action suit! I would be curious to find out how often this happens and how much money they keep off their customers. This is not stated anywhere on the card. They should at least be required to notify customers of this. I will NEVER give them a red cent of my money again. Terrible company and even worst customer service.

Original review: May 11, 2017

AM Ex gift card is a ripoff. After having no issues with their gift cards in years, I had a declined purchase three times last week and the requirement to give my money back onto the card if it don't go through which didn't. I checked the purchase and all four items have been declined. No order and it says it would refund the money. It's been 8 plus days and no refund. Do not go with them. They are a ripoff and do not do as they say they do when they said they would refund your money on a declined purchase and said it would return to the card in 7 days. Such liars and thieves and will never deal with them again.

Original review: April 11, 2017

Don't buy this card, save your money. THIS IS SEVERE HORSE **. I went to go buy a watch that was $140.83 on Amazon and they took my money out of my account and Amazon "claims they don't have it." SO MY 140 DOLLARS IS FLOATING IN LIMBO SOMEWHERE ON THE PLANET.

Original review: March 24, 2017

Be aware - to use your Amex gift card on Amazon. You must convert it to an Amazon e-gift card first. When you do that Amazon puts a $1 hold on the card. So, if you have a $50 Amex card, you can only convert $49 to an Amazon e-gift card. They are counting on either 1) you give up trying to use the card ("I can't use this at the grocery store, gas station, the restaurant or even Amazon!") or 2) at least they'll skim that $1 that they can keep if you do figure out how to use it. You can probably get that $1 back at some point - but who has the time and energy to waste on that. Very sneaky. Stick with good old cash or check.

Original review: March 24, 2017

We received 7 Amex gift cards for the holidays and two birthdays in December 2016. One card didn't work, won't scan, yet when I call had $75 on it as it should. More than 30 minutes on the phone with them they said they would send a new one. I get two letters in the mail saying they won't replace without the gift receive. The gifts were from someone with an Amex card, but he does not have the receipts as he gave out gift cards to all of his nieces and nephews, not just our kids. My daughter is now out the $75. I WILL NEVER BUY AMEX GIFT CARDS and will tell all I know not to as well. They now made the card inactive so that we can't even use it online without the defective scanning strip. Disgraceful!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

These cards seem like a nice gift, but have so much conflicting instructions and restrictions they often end up worthless. A card is labeled 'Funds do not expire' yet they also have an expiry date on them. They are supposedly subject to the federal credit card act (that puts clear, concrete terms on when they can expire, and when they can begin charging service fees) but speaking to AmEx customer service you would swear no such laws ever existed, since they insist the funds have expired and nothing can be done (even when you point out the clear conflict with existing federal and state law, I.e. a card less than 12 months old that has 'expired').

Then they blame the company that gave/sold them to you, saying it is their fault and there is nothing AmEx can do (except collect the fees for providing this worthless card to you). The 'Terms and Conditions' that state 'Subject to Applicable Law' should say 'Subject to final decision of AmEx customer service, that has no authority to make the card comply with applicable laws'. Try to use these as quickly as you can, else any value in them promptly disappears.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2017

I have received at least 20 Amex gift cards this year. I have had problems with at least half of them! What a pain! Recently one of them was not working, I called Amex and literally was on the phone with a rep. who insisted it was valid. So frustrating, I know how to use a gift card and until I got her to send me another one was so exhausting. I received the new one today (had to wait 2 weeks) with the remaining balance from the card that didn't work. This one doesn't work either!!! I've had it, please do yourself a favor, buy Visa gift cards, so much easier to deal with!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2016

I went to use the gift card and it was declined. Standing there with an arm full of items. Felt like a jerk. I called the number on the card and it's all automated. Can't get the card to work. IT'S USELESS. DON'T be FOOLED into giving one. YOU might as well throw in the garbage which is where this one is going.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2016

I purchased a nice gift card for the Grove shopping center in Los Angeles for my sister. It was her birthday on 11/23. The first transaction declined my credit card. My bank picked it up as fraud and I didn't know about it until it was too late. (That was my fault for not seeing the AMEX email that it was declined for potential fraud). I reordered the gift card on 11/23, knowing it would be slightly late. Shipping does not usually take the full 10 days to ship. Most companies just say that for safety purposes. Of course though for AMEX that's their slow turnaround and you shouldn't expect anything better!

I called a few times to see where my gift was in the mail. They don't purchase trackers so they couldn't tell me. Of course their response was to call us back! (And wait in line on the Support line....again...) On 10th day, still not received. Lost in the mail. I called AMEX about 6 times. Funny thing is though you can't bypass the gift card service line without an account number. It's a gift card - I don't have an account number! So I had to call the main line, and then get transferred, which means double the wait times, repeat conversions, etc. Multiply that x6 with a few dropped calls and you'll understand my frustrations!

There's no 1 rep I can talk to. They have to transfer me to 3 different departments. And they ask you to reconfirm your identity and tell them what the problem is each and every time :)... By this time, it's already 3 weeks past her birthday. Rather than express delivering so she at least gets it before Christmas, they say it'll take 7 business days and that's the best they can do because they take 5 days to process and create the card. So it's now 1 month late. They REALLY don't care, do they? Don't provide gifts if you can't deliver on time. It's your liability when the mail loses packages. It gets better, she's traveling for Christmas so will most likely not be able to see it until after Christmas. So much for a Birthday gift, I might as well cancel it and never buy from AMEX again.

Oh by the way, this is not my first bad experience with AMEX. I once had a credit card with them and it was the same thing. They're cheap and they don't care about the customer. Worst customer service out of all the different credit card companies/banks. I will not own an AMEX credit card in the future for this reason. And now I will never buy AMEX gift cards either...... Happy Holidays AMEX!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2016

On leaving a health organisation, a whole range of people including children raised £50 for an Amex gift card as part of my leaving gift. We managed to use it at our local supermarket to spend £25 nearly two years ago, and after that it has been declined at Argos, Homebase, Pizza Express and Sainsbury's. I tried to use it on ebay and Amazon and often with great difficulty. The reasons provided by Amex Customer Service - I use the term loosely - is that the merchant is not on line.

Eventually someone managed to explain to me what that meant. It meant that if the actual merchant was not registered with Amex, we would not be able to buy from them. BUT, the only way to find out is by attempting a purchase. Instead of being able to spend the £50, we have been charged £1.50 per month for not spending the money, which we have effectively been unable to spend. I have shared the full schedule of attempts with the individual who purchased the card and they are horrified. Needless to say, I will never buy an Amex gift card, and nor will my friend who is now debating whether to retain her Amex credit card.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2016

I received 2 American Express gift cards for $500.00 each. I had no problem with the 1st but the 2nd I used in 2 places and now it isn't being accepted. Nor is it accepted online. I tried several times to call the # on the card but I can't get a live person and continually get hung up on.

American Express Gift Cards Company Information