American Express Gift Cards
Based on 168 reviews that contain star ratings

American Express Gift Cards

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

407 American Express Gift Cards Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I received an American Express $50 dollar gift card that stated it expired in 04/23 (the year I'm writing this is 2019). Went to use it and it didn't work. When I called the company, they stated they charged the card a monthly fee of $2 after issuance. WHAT?!! !Then the card actually expired approximately 2 years after issuance and not 2023. Like throwing your money away! DO NOT BUY OR SUPPORT AMERICAN EXPRESS!!! They are thieves.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Received my $200 gift card in December. Tried to use it on two occasions in January at merchants and they had no luck running the card. Went to the website to check remaining value: $2.46. Card had been used at a Walgreens in latter December in a city that I don't live. Card has never been out of my possession. No remedy so will send it back to AMEX and they can buy a candy bar. Security of these cards has been compromised at the source.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Debit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

My mother bought a $25 dollar gift card plus $4 for card. So $29 dollars. Get the card today on Christmas and try to activate it, it sends me to a man who says that the card has zero dollars because it did not load right. But the receipt says she paid 29 dollars. Great company... NOT. I will never buy from this company again, ripping little kids off. How dare you.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

I've never had any luck with these cards. The first time I tried to use them was at an online cigar vendor while I was deployed to Afghanistan (back in 2012). The vendor processed the order, then advised after the fact that they couldn't ship to my APO address. When I contact AMEX about it, I was unable to get a refund. I don't recall what hoops they wanted me to jump through - I didn't have time to sit on the phone, dig through receipts and jump through hoops because, as I said, I was deployed to Afghanistan. That's the story of the first $100, down the toilet.

Fast forward to Christmas 2018. I received another $100 gift card and had hoped to put it towards a purchase at an online vendor. The total cost of the item was about $110.00. Unfortunately, this online vendor (like most online vendors) couldn't accommodate multiple methods of payment for a single purchase, so the $100 card had to be used elsewhere. I didn't want to use less than $100 because, then I'm just leaving smaller amounts of money on a card that I could easily misplace (which I believe is what AMEX is hoping will ultimately happen). Next, I tried to use it at Amazon by refilling the gift card balance associated with my account. It seems like this would be an easy process which would allow me to use the full value of the gift card and apply the funds towards purchases on Amazon without leaving any money behind on the card.

Amazon, like most online vendors, wants you "Create a new payment method" and doesn't have a special field for using American Express Gift Cards. The AmexGiftCard.com website says that you should enter all your data into the payment line just as you would with any other card (like my name and address, which are not specific to the gift card). Amazon was unable to process the payment, but when I checked the gift card balance, it showed that Amazon had attempted to access the funds. It just wouldn't go through. Finally, I tried to apply the gift card balance to my Amex Platinum Card balance. This seems like a total no brainer (because Amex should certainly accept Amex) but the cards cannot be used to pay off one's credit card balance.

Of the "Hundreds" of businesses that accept American Express Gift Cards, it turns out that American Express does not accept their own cards. 3 strikes without leaving the comfort of my home. In summary, I couldn't get the money back when a vendor was unable to ship their products to an APO address in Afghanistan in 2012. In 2018, I tried to use the card 3 different ways: at a small online retailer, at the biggest online retailer in America, and at American Express themselves. The card could not be used at any of them. I guess I'll have to take it shopping at the grocery store and hope it's accepted there (yippee!).

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

My daughter was saving her gift cards to buy a special gift. I was with her and when she swiped her American Express card it showed zero balance. I called the number on the back and they confirmed that the dollars were used to pay the monthly fees. This is beyond comprehension. American Express stole money from a child. I went on the American Express website to write a complaint and was not able to. This company should be put on the biggest loser list for stealing money from pre-purchased gift cards. If you ever receive one use it immediately and please do not support a company that practices such terrible customer care. It is so sad.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

Purchased the White Metal Gift Card, thinking it was metal. I have a Rose Gold metal card, referenced in the same way. These are not made of metal. They are made of the same cheap material that all their other gift cards are made of. These specifically state they come with a gold envelope, whereas the others don't. And these cost many more member points (more so than the same gift card amount with different design) next to it. In fact... all other gift cards with different design cost the same points as each other for same amount, except this one.

I purchased these and every day the hotline said there was a problem with my order. When I called in to the representatives on each day, they all said no. They said my order was pending and I might get it by Christmas. Today it arrived. Today I talked to them, and they said it was pending, so today, after I talked to them, I ordered a whole new set of gift cards to arrive $500 worth, because I thought it might have been delayed due to the Happy Holiday customization option I selected. So I ordered a second generic (picture only) gift card. Well, these are so tacky looking I won't be giving them out to clients. This is not white metal, as advertised.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I have been ordering gift cards from American Express for my employees at Christmas for the past 20 years. Up until this year it has been a relatively smooth process. However, this year I found out that their gift card division was outsourced/sold to another company which explains the massive problems and negative reviews. I ordered gift cards more than a week ago for my employees' Christmas presents. I received no communication whatsoever from the company and when I called they told me it would be at least another 5 to 10 business days to ship. They also wanted all my sensitive information including Social Security numbers and tax ID numbers from my business.

American Express issued a tiny press release when they outsourced sold this company. I am not interested after the Marriott disaster this week in giving out any more information especially to some unknown company that American Express sold their gift card division to. This experience has given me a very sour taste towards American Express and gives them a black eye at the same time. Next year I will no longer do any more gift card business with American Express. I’m finished.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Call them and tried to repackage into correct gift card envelopes. They never called me back - called again. They were absolutely unaccommodating - wanted a full refund on 60 gift card about 10k. They wanted I should actually read every card # off. Ridiculous. Extremely disappointed. NEVER AGAIN will order from them.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

American Express gift cards - BEWARE!!! $3.00 fee per month, my 3 $50.00 cards are now worthless. Never again using any American Express product. And of course, when you call them, you will be talking to someone from another country with a phony made-up name.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I needed a gift card to make a purchase online (didn’t want to use my debit card). Purchased a card at Walmart. Tried to use the card, it wouldn’t work. Called the 800 number. They didn’t show a balance on the card. But I was charged and it showed on my receipt. They said, I have to fax all sorts of information... So now I have to pay more for copies and fax, Went to Walmart, they do not stand behind them. What does that tell you? I will go send the fax tomorrow! I work too hard to just hand 40.00 over to them! I called American Express 3 times, sounded like they were in India and hard to understand. Need a gift card, don’t get a American Express!!!! I can’t believe Walmart would sell this crap!!!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Beware of American Express gift/rebate cards. After 7 months of non-use, they will charge a $2.00 monthly "processing fee" and drain the card. My personal experience was with two rebate cards that I had been saving to use for a specific purchase. You can imagine my surprise when both cards were empty, completely drained by monthly fees for doing exactly nothing. I look forward to cancelling my American Express card next month. It won't get me the funds I'm entitled to, but American Express won't be getting any benefit from any of my future purchases.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

You can't use them anywhere online, if you try to call their customer support they just tell you the card is active and you have to find somewhere that accepts Amex gift cards. I have to wonder how many people get these things and they sit unused or get thrown away because it's too much hassle.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I lost my American Express gift card that I purchased from Home Depot. The representative from Home Depot gave me the receipt and looked up my card number. I called Amex and have emailed, scanned, and mailed via post office and American Express lie and states they have not received my information. This is fraud and I am reporting this to the authorities.

Original review: June 25, 2018

I misplaced 2 $500 AMEX prepaid cards. Balances were at $470 each approx. on them. Called Customer Svcs and they verified my info, canceled the cards, and said they will replace. Received letter asking for driver license and proof address, which I complied. Another letter arrived-more info needed. Says send receipt and copy of packaging. I had only 1 pkg, and receipts faded, but I had dates of purchase, location, and approximate balances for them. I waited almost 3 weeks for response, which then response was left on voicemail and incomprehensible, as I have hearing impairment. Every request/letter I sent stated "email or mail only" and why. I assumed all was OK because I heard "will send card" and Fax...

Almost 3 weeks passed, nothing. Resent, faxed, every document again and reminded them of American Disability Accommodation Law. No response by mail. I have filed complaint with FTC national agency by mail today. AMEX is in SLC, UT. Since they are not a bank, the Attorney General UT Office could not help. I hope the FTC goes after AMEX and I get my replacements. Based on the data I provided, it is beyond reasonable doubt that I have not filed a false claim of replacement. They were not stolen, just put in a "safe place" and I cannot find them. They want to get out of replacing my cards. I was the one who called that I lost them, and they were deactivated. Why would I call if I was the thief? I will never use their services again.

Original review: May 13, 2018

Last year in January 17, I received an AE gift card in the amount of $500. It was hacked in May 2017, card was used in the California and I am in the East Coast and we called AE and they started an investigation. Months went by and Kept checking on it and got the same answer that they were still working on it and it was document as per their customer service investigator. All the times I called I could barely hear them (their phone lines are a joke). I was using a landline phone. In the end I was told by their Customer service supervisor in India that they could not do anything about.

Original review: May 9, 2018

Unbelievably bad product! So many problems! Customer service center is not in USA. Agents have unintelligible accents. First agent I spoke to hung up on me. Website to check card balance does not work. I tried three different browsers and every time the site says invalid captcha. American Express just does not care about the customer.

American Express runs a scam where a vendor must submit a $1.00 "pre-authorization" for all purchases. This means that YOU CAN NEVER USE ALL THE FUNDS ON YOUR GIFT CARD! This means that American Express adds an extra $1.00 fee to all gift cards. Here is the example: Suppose I have $17.63 remaining on my American Express Gift card. I want to buy an Amazon gift card for $17.63 to zero the balance on the American Express gift card. If I try to buy an Amazon Gift card for $17.63, American Express requires a $1.00 pre-authorization which reduces the "available balance" on the American Express card to $16.63. When Amazon attempts to charge my American Express gift card $17.63, this exceeds the "available balance" and American Express refuses the charge. This means American Express keeps at least an extra $1.00 on every gift card it sells.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I received 2 gift cards last year at Christmas. I have $4 left on one and $6 left on the other. I called Amex to ask if I could transfer the balances to one card. Was told “Oh these are in Canadian funds. I can’t combine them”. I asked if they could combine US funds - YES!!! Don’t buy Amex gift cards!

Original review: March 28, 2018

Never ever buy gift cards from American Express and if you buy or get one as gift keep all the documentation who gave you, where you bought, when you bought and make sure to ask person who gave you the card as gift if he bought the card and take the receipt from the person for the proof. Once you lose the card then don't ever think of contacting customer care, they have bunch of ** who don't understand what the gift cards are and they ask the documents you cannot provide so that they can have the money. I really caution whoever is planning to buy the cards never ever buy the American Express cards. One of the worst Customer Care and they may even call you that you stole the card and you are trying to deactivate the card. They don't even have common sense that if someone steals or finds a card they will go use it and they don't report them.

Original review: March 28, 2018

My 70 -year-old mother bought a gift card from Target so that she could use it later to buy groceries. When she went to go buy groceries the store charged her twice for the groceries. When she called American Express gift card they told her that it was the store's problem not theirs. When my mom called the store they told her that it was American Express's problem and she would have to call them. I just don’t understand why people are accountable for their actions. Why there’s no good customer service anymore. I wish people still cared about the consumer.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I received an American Express gift card through winning a contest at work. I used the card 3 times and each time, the balance was taken out twice, so when I should have had money left on the card, I had a negative balance. I decided to call the company only to find there is no way to get a live person on the phone for a gift card. Needless to say, I will never buy or use one of these again!

Original review: March 24, 2018

I have a warning for anyone who has an American Express Gift Card and wants to use it in a restaurant. When you use the card, even if you write zero for a tip and give a cash tip, the card will automatically take off 20% for a tip. When I called American Express they said it was not them but the restaurant's system. However when I called the restaurants they were clueless about this, because nothing prompted them to include the tip, and she saw I wrote zero for a tip and that's what she put in. So yes, maybe the restaurant gets an extra 20% added to the bill, but it is not seen by the server. I will never use one of these cards in a restaurant again.

Original review: March 9, 2018

I received a $50 American Express Serve gift card and never activated it (although they say I did) and every month they took out $4.95 so by the time I realized to use it there was only $18.54 left on the card. How can a huge company like AX take money from you for a piece of plastic. I want the world to know they are ripping us off by taking money for our card. Give cash as a present or gift NOT gift cards. I will cancel my AX card and never do business with them again. Hopefully you will too.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Completely dissatisfied! Like most hardworking New Yorkers, the day before payday can be tight on funds. I tried to use this card at a 7-Eleven to buy milk and ketchup and it was denied. Then I tried to use it 2 more times while being coached by Amex customer service and it was denied both times. Amex c/s said it was a faulty machine in the store. 7-Eleven doesn't seem to have any issues with Visa gift cards. Maybe Amex needs to take notes from Visa. Full of shame like I did something wrong, I had left the store with my tail between my legs. How embarrassing. I was looked at like a fool in the store and the man who couldn't provide for his family when I got home. Thanks for nothing!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

My husband received a few of these cards as a bonus from his work. We decided to use them to take a trip so made flight reservations. Issues we faced: 1) No one (airline, Expedia, even Amex travel) could take multiple forms of payment so we could not use these unless the charge was less than the card value (i.e couldn't reserve $1200 flight because card value was only $1000). 2) We had to split out our reservations so each family member was on its own reservation so that it was < the value of the card (kids not on our same reservation).

3) When we finally got a charge to go through, it was credited back 10 mins later. The refund back to the card "takes up to 7 days" so we couldn't complete the transaction. 4) Every failed attempt we made to use the card they charge $1, adding up to $8 to get a transaction to go through. ****The only way we found to use these cards without this hassle is to send your spouse a payment on PayPal for the balance of the card. You will pay 3.5% fee to do so, but it is worth it considering how inflexible these are to use!!!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

If you ever lose an American Express GIFT card, don't ever expect a replacement! I have been asked to fax over proof of residency, my State ID, and proof of purchase so I can get a replacement. I am fine with the first two requests, but as defined in the definition of GIFT, I have no proof of purchase as the card was given to me for Christmas by my employer! This has been such a horrible experience! They are thieves! When a company can clearly see there were no purchases made on a Gift Card that has been reported as lost but still refuses to just send a replacement, they're thieves!! They make it difficult to get a replacement because they know after a while, no one will want to deal with jumping through their hoops anymore! I will NEVER recommend them for Gift Cards! RECEIVING THIS GIFT CARD HAS BEEN THE WORST EXPERIENCE EVER! #scam #scammers #thieves

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

Sprint gave me an AMERICAN EXPRESS gift card. As I always use credit cards, I forgot about the gift card. When I went to use the $50 gift card, it had no balance as American Express decided to zero out the balance with monthly FEES.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

Steer clear... Although they advertise that the card is replaceable if lost or stolen, actually the only way that you can get replacement card is if you have the original receipt of the gift card purchase. So if you received the card as a gift without the purchase receipt, don’t lose it, you won’t be able to replace it. It’s unfortunate — I had a $100 card that I made a coffee purchase on and then lost. As instructed, I faxed in a copy of complete explanation, the original wrapper of the card, and a copy of utility bill, driver’s license... everything they asked for — an 11 page fax! Their only response was to mail me a form letter telling me they couldn’t replace the card because I didn’t send the original purchase receipt of the card and no matter how much I try to tell them I never had the purchase receipt because I didn’t purchase the card, it was a GIFT, there is nothing they would do and I’m out $100. What a freaking scam.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

The name of the card should be American Depress. I bought the card at Walmart 3 days ago. Loaded it with money to pay bills. I am finding very few retailers and businesses accept this scam card. I called the company and they were no help. The only way to get my money is to use the card at Walmart or Family Dollar. Ugh!

I can't use an ATM to get my money and they say there is really no way I can get it. I feel like this is a scam. PLEASE PEOPLE NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO DON'T BUY AN AMERICAN EXPRESS CARD.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

There is not a reliable way of checking your balance online. The online balance check page does not work and it is very tedious. The captcha is terrible and hardly works. If you do happen to make it pass the captcha it will either tell you that the number is incorrect or that the page is unavailable at the moment. I’ve gotten different brands of gift cards. So far AmEx is most difficult.

Original review: July 12, 2017

I received a prepaid reward card from AmEx for going to a 5 hour Club Wyndham timeshare presentation. Every time I tried to use it, it didn't work. I was told that I probably tried to use it at a gas station and that that would not work. That by trying to use it at a gas station, it was put on hold and to wait a few weeks and try again. This kept happening until it expired. Now I definitely can't use it, and AmEx just said "tough luck." What a horrible company!

American Express Gift Cards Company Information