3.19/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Walmart MoneyCard is a reloadable, prepaid debit card that provides consumers with cash back rewards on purchases they make every day. Use it everywhere Debit MasterCard® or Visa® debit cards are accepted in the U.S. Rewards include 3% cash back at Walmart.com, 2% cash back at Murphy USA and Walmart fuel stations, and 1% cash back at Walmart stores. Earn up to $75 in cash back rewards per year.

Walmart MoneyCard offers free direct deposit and will allow you to send money for free to other Green Dot Bank issued cards. The new Walmart MoneyCard app is now available to track your money around the clock. Contact us today to learn more!

ABBB Rating
View More View More

5424 Walmart MoneyCard Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I lost my card and had to call to get a replacement because you can't transfer your money easily. They force you to send it to another Green Dot card or PayPal. I paid $15 to expedite and then received an email stating that I have to forward a copy of my ID. When I followed the link to input my information the first step is to input the card number which I do not know and customer service refused to give me. When I tried to call I can't get through because when I give the last four digits of the card it has already been stopped so the call disconnects. I cannot access my account through the app nor the website. So now I have to wait to receive the card then send the ID once I have a new number and then I have to wait another two days for my information to be reviewed before I can hope to access my money. This is a customer service nightmare and I will definitely be closing my account as soon as humanly possible.

Hi Carl,

We'd like to have someone look into your account and discuss the concerns that you shared. We'll be in touch with you through the contact information provided to us by Consumer Affairs.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Customer service sucks. My account is frozen for fifteen days because I wanted a refund. The rep. Didn’t do as a refund. Did a fraudulent charge and so now I can’t get back in system till new card arrives. I have bills due and money frozen in this BS account. I need a person to contact me There was an obvious English barrier. Could not understand my issue. I need the recording reviewed. This is complete BS.

Hi Derrell,

No response received
Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

A supervisor called me and left a message. I called back and talked to the lady and found out why my claim had been denied. First off when I did the claim over the phone the person told me my claim had to be in within 11 days but when I talked to the supervisor she said my claim was closed in 6 days and my letter got to them a couple hours after they closed it. First off I was told I had 11 days so they LIED!! This is how they get over.

So she told me to just email to an address that said that address was wrong, so I sent to the address for transaction disputes. I sent it the same day I talked to the supervisor and this she said I had 5 business days. So from my understanding an email gets there the same day so what happened? Now you put on my review no response received. That is a big fat LIE!! These people take hard working people money and have no intention of helping you get it back! But you will never get anything else from me!!!

Updated on 09/14/2018: I‘m responding to the email in which Walmart MoneyCard said they couldn’t reach me to resolve my dispute. This is a LIE!! First off, a woman named Ronnie called me from the information I left on my ConsumerAffairs page. She called me on a Friday and left a message on my machine. I returned her call on Tuesday of the next week. Since the calls are suppose to be recorded, go back and listen to it. I did everything she told me to do just like I did before and got denied.

I’m done trying to resolve this through them because their intentions are not to help you resolve your issue anyway. So no more wasting my time with them!! I wrote this review just to let you know someone did reach me and we did have a conversation, even though it didn’t do any good! So don’t lie and say a RESPONSE wasn’t received, if it wasn’t received it’s because you didn’t want to receive IT. I would never recommend this or any card Green Dot issues to anyone!!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I love that my money is available 2 days before my actual payday! It is super convenient and easy to use, especially with the app that is available. I also get my monthly service fee waived each month just by using FREE direct deposit!

Hi Stephanie,

We're so happy to hear that you're satisfied with our app. Mission Accomplished! We do our best to offer alternatives to traditional banks by offering a variety of features and simple fees. We hope that you continue to enjoy your Walmart MoneyCard and all its great features.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

I have been using the Walmart Money Card for a while now and really have only one issue. Photo Deposit takes too long! I know not counting weekends and holidays as a business day, but five business days seems too long because the people who wrote me the checks have had their monies debited the day after I made the Photo Deposit! Seems that if the check writers funds have been withdrawn so quickly, I could have my account credited quickly too. That seems reasonable to me. I will now just go to the bank the check was written on and cash it. I was just trying to save a trip to said bank(s). If you can speed up this process to be as quick as it is for the check writer to have their money withdrawn, then I will use this feature again. If not, (and I'll give it one more try) then I won't use this feature and recommend others do not as well. Thank you for your patience. Mine is thinning.

Hi Donald,

Green Dot Corporation

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Walmart MoneyCard?

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

Walmart likes to steal money, apparently. I cannot withdraw money from my card. They claimed my information was "unverified," and despite my call into customer service and my eagerness to verify the information, the representative could not "verify" my information. Moreover, the representative, Selene, was rude. She refused to transfer me to her manager or supervisor. If I want a refund, I will have to wait two weeks for it. I can't afford to wait two weeks, as my paycheck was loaded on to that card, and the companies to whom I owe money will not accept that card as payment.

Hi Katherine,

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

This company stole my check. I got a direct deposit and they closed my account for fraud suspicions and I can’t talk to anyone. No matter what option I use I can't reach a live person. I have $1000 I can’t get and no recourse. Bunch of thieves.

Hi Luis,

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

The Walmart Card is great but, unfortunately there are some things that I can't use it for. An example of this is I tried to finance a ring for my wife at Jared and everything was going great until they asked for my banking information I gave them my Walmart Card info and that's when I turned down. Just things like that is all the problems I have.

Hi Derek,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us.

We're glad you're able to enjoy your Walmart MoneyCard despite some prepaid card limitations.

Your business is greatly appreciated.

No response received
Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Ok, here goes. I used the Walmart MoneyCard for years with very few problems. Direct deposit to my card. It was very convenient and my money was always there. Bill pay was great unless they sent out a paper check. Simple and easy. The problem came when I switched jobs and the company I worked for would not direct deposit to a debit card. Then I would have to physically walk into a Walmart and cash my check directly to the card. There were times when a new customer support rep would not cash it, even if it were all going to my card. The name on the check did not exactly, I mean exactly, match my ID. On the check it was Don. On my ID it was Donald. It got totally ridiculous. I have several credit cards, each with a different form of my name. Didn't matter.

Walmart policy is the most asinine thing I have ever run across in my life. Banks had no problem. All they needed to do is fingerprint the check. Had to cash my check at the bank and deposit the cash. Done mainly for online payments. In the end I gave up and opened a check account. Dumbest policy I have ever heard of. Walmart needs to pull its head out. Other than that, great card. Check cashing is a joke. Photo deposit never worked.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I need help with resolving an dispute that has already been resolved. I was granted my dispute on 8/21 and now it's 10 days and I am still waiting for my money. I need a way to contact your legal dept.

Hi Joseph,

It was a pleasure speaking with you today. We’re glad that we were able to resolve the concerns that you shared. We value your feedback and thank you for allowing us the opportunity to make things right. Feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions or concerns that you would like to discuss.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I called customer service over declined purchases with places I've always worked with. For 15 mins, I had a rep in India I could not understand who refused to put a manager on the phone, kept putting me on hold to come back & ask me questions over & over. I was polite, but eventually became upset. She mentioned an invalid pin at 1st, then tried end the call, but I don't use a pin with Visa charges. I am definitely considering cancelling a company that puts cheap labor above service.

Hi Grady,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We'd like to have someone look into your account and discuss the concerns that you’ve shared. We'll be in touch with you through the contact information provided to us by Consumer Affairs.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

My overall experience with the Wal-Mart MoneyCard has been the best, out of every prepaid card I have ever owned... Thanks for the super customer support as well. I love the option that you can stash your money, 'Lock it in your Vault ' or unstash it whenever you need it.

Hi Trace,

We appreciate your feedback! We strive to make your Walmart MoneyCard experience as easy and convenient as possible. Your positive feedback helps us to recognize the work that we are doing well.

Thanks, Green Dot Corporation

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Beware. They are a scam. I fell to a fraud situation. Where someone had stole my card number and my identity. Contacted Walmart MoneyCard. Went through the whole claim process to only be denied. So now I'm out almost $2000 dollars because this company is greedy.

Hi Shawn,

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I love this card!!! It keeps me grounded financially and the fact that it has a vault is superb. Love it!! It's so convenient to put money on this card to make purchases and to pay bills. Whoever created this card is ingenious.

Hi Sharondria,

Thanks,

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Overall it’s been great. I’ve had three incidents where money has been removed twice and have yet to get a reply back. I’m really big on getting issues fixed in a timely fashion but I see that isn’t an issue with the GreenDot money card.

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us.

Great feedback, we're glad you're able to enjoy your Walmart MoneyCard dispute past incidents.

Your business is greatly appreciated.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I lost my card on the 25 and the 3$ fee was taken from my account on the 26. It said it would take 2 business days to complete my request. Today is 30. I still haven’t received my card. I have bills to pay soon and no way to pay them. How much longer until I receive my card?

Hi Lindsay,

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

Unusual activity on my card, I type the wrong address when I relocated because of my job. During the move I misplaced my card and requested another. I talked to a support agent yesterday and explained the whole situation. They were understanding and issued me another card. I provided all the information only I would know at this time. This morning I woke up to an email. My entire paycheck is just sitting there. My family will starve waiting on this process, I could be evicted because I cannot pay my rent. And no compassion whatsoever. I get a response when I email because that only way I can communicate but by email. That is 12 days without having the means to provide for my family.

Hi Angelic,

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018
Well, I gave them a 2-star rating because they messed up. They got my name spelled wrong on my account. They spelled CLARENCE - instead of C-L-A-R-E-N-C-E, they spelled it CLARNTE. It doesn’t even come close to my name. And, well, it’s like any kind of transaction I’ve got going on with that account, I don’t know if it will go through or not. But I called them and I wanted to see if they could fix it and all that. And they told me [unclear 0:00:42]. I was like no, 'cause I got a direct withdrawal set up on it. I don’t even know if it’s gonna go through or not because they messed up my name. And it’s like my name is spelled right on the other thing and it’s spelled wrong on their account. So, I mean, it’s like they’re telling me they can’t fix a simple thing as this misspelling of my name that they've done. Like, no, I’m not cool with that. I feel insulted because a name is a name. It’s what I was born with and all that, and they need to fix that. I mean, it’s as simple as going in my account and correcting the name. They do it all the time when people get married and all that, so they can’t tell me they can’t do it. Because I know they can change part of a name and all that. But anyway, I figured I’d do a video review because I didn’t wanna type it all out and all that, if you know what I mean. I’d appreciate a nice, speedy resolve to this issue because it’s like I’m not getting a no call. If you messed up, you messed up, and all that. And you can’t expect me to trust you again.
Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

On August 27th I tried to use my card at the grocery store. My balance was 107$. Was told that my card declined. I called the automated voice system to check on why it was declined I was told to upload documents to confirm my identity. I uploaded my license front and back. Later that night I checked my card and was told my account was canceled because my identity wasn't confirmed. I tried to reach a representative which I finally did and she told me that she was creating a call back from corporate. It is now the 29th and I still haven't received a call. Please I just want my money back. I had my Walmart card for 5 years and NEVER had problems until now.

Hi Randi,

Green Dot Corporation

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Walmart Money Card is convenient in and of itself, but forget it if you need a real answer to a problem from customer service. They declined a payment for my phone service because they said they don't approve those types of transactions. And yet, they were doing it for 2 months prior to this without incident. In fact, when I set up this new phone service 3 months ago, I used the WMMC to pay for it--no problems. The next month it was automatically drafted without issue, but this month- don't know what happened.

I held on the line for nearly 20 minutes waiting for a manager when the CS agent didn't seem to know why that happened and I don't think she understood what the issue was, as she kept referring to a temporary card, which is weird since I've been using the card since last December. The manager couldn't tell me why either, and said she would set up a case for it. This morning I received an email that said: "After further reviewing your concern, we’ve determined that there is no known issue affecting the functionality of your Card." Strange how this is the same exact email that they sent to me when I was having a totally unrelated problem a few months ago.

They give the same canned answer, which only adds up to "we don't know what happened and frankly we don't care." Then they refer me back to their customer service number???? No one could tell me why they approved a payment to a phone service in previous months, and now they don't, nor do they offer any reassurance that it won't happen again. I know money wasn't the issue since an entire paycheck had been directly deposited onto it 3 days before. Very disappointing that they slip up like this and don't even offer a way to make sure it doesn't happen again. I was without phone service because of them.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

Never works customer service experience I've ever had. I called 37 times to try to get my account cleaned up with the charge that never went through on my end or FedEx his hand but it went through on Walmart MoneyCard three and a half hours later after I tried to do it but they will not do anything about it. FedEx is try to call them to seeing that there is no charge. There's been nothing on there and I have nothing pending. Walmart MoneyCard will not do anything about it. They would sit there and want to hold on to the money for 15 days. There's no transaction history of FedEx. Nothing but three and a half hours later goes to Walmart which is ridiculous. How in the hell you run a company like that so bad and the customer service is awful.

Hi Robert,

It was a pleasure speaking with you earlier today. We’re glad that we were able to resolve the concerns that you shared. We value your feedback and thank you for allowing us the opportunity to make things right. Feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions or concerns that you would like to discuss.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I was actively participating in the cash back rewards, as in I would specifically place and keep money on my card for Walmart purchases and had accumulated approx. $57 & change. When the time came that my 12 mo.'s were over and I could collect, my tracker never moved from mo. 11 to 12 to do so. I reached out numerous times through the site and got different responses each time, however my responses were never addressed and each time I only had 300 characters to try and explain and back up my explanation with the legal documents off the money cards own site. I finally had a chance to call and once I did, I was first told that in order to qualify, my account must not go negative during the end of the period.

My card never went negative during the end of the period, it had gone negative one time and for mere minutes, because of the ATM fee charged by this company and a tip I had left on the card. It went negative for not even 20 mins and in the amount of $1.44. I was then told, "Well your account can't go negative at all." The app gave me an alert saying, "Hurry and add more money to keep your cash back rewards" and my counter continued to keep counting both the months and accumulating more money on top of what had been earned. IF this were the case, why does it give you that notification, why do the months continue to count on, why does the money keep adding up and most importantly, WHY DOES YOUR LEGAL AGREEMENT NOT SAY THIS?

Legal agreement states it cannot go negative during the END of a period. I am angry enough over this that yes I also had a lawyer look at it and will be reaching out to the company on my behalf now. Specifically used this card for Walmart purchases, to get the cash back and for online purchases so my bank account is not out there and suddenly once it's time to collect, the rules change. Anyone attempting to utilize the cash back, don't bother, they will find an excuse to rip you off.

Hi Shannon,

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

PLEASE DON’T USE THIS CARD. Whatever you do! If you can refrain from using this card please do! Try a different company or use another brand! First off there is no corporate number to call with any issues! My card had an unauthorized purchase on July 13, 2018. Today is August 27, 2018. I have yet to receive my money back. Due to the fact someone else used my card and made an unauthorized purchase. I have been lied to and basically just swindled out of my own money. I have talked to the representatives (which are all in the Philippines so they barely speak English) where they have told me that they didn’t receive the money from the merchant. Only for me to do a conference call with the MoneyCard and the merchant and basically when the merchant advised that the money was sent back to them on AUGUST 14, 2018??? The representative with the MoneyCard still didn’t have an answer as to where my money is!

I still don’t have my money and it still has not been resolved. Which means if somebody makes an unauthorized purchase on your card??? You will not get the money back!!! Please DON'T USE THIS CARD!!! You will have all types of NIGHTMARES!!! They are scammers!!! They look like they only hire non-American people that don’t speak English and are rude!!! If you have this card and someone steals it, you are basically up ** creek! STAY AWAY FROM THIS CARD! Run! They are scam artist! DON'T USE THE WALMART MONEYCARD AT ALL!!!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I use you guys because it's easier. But am very unhappy. I made a purchase with a company and never got the item. You should as my card help me get my money back. But not tell me to contact merchant. Okay the number on my account is for a different merchant and they will not answer or return a message. This has been months now. Not very happy. Looking at removing my business from you.

Hi Kaylie,

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

I've had Walmart MoneyCard for over a decade and now all of a sudden they decided to block my account due to suspicious activity and the only activity I have is receiving money from family members because I'm in college. I now have a job and I haven't received my paycheck via direct deposit. I'm thinking it's because my card is blocked. I tried uploading my ID for review and they still denied it and stated I had to do it over. I am furious because I have bills to pay and I'm behind because I can't get to my money. This has NEVER happened before and it is really hard to get in touch with someone in customer service. This is horrible service and I will no longer be using Walmart MoneyCard any longer!!

Hi Toni,

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

I have read reviews and see I am not alone. This company is stealing people’s money my card was locked just after I loaded my bill money and they have no live people to talk to and the Walmart locations will not assist. I have deductions from utilities who say they never received the funds two weeks ago which I also just found out so I am out two paychecks from this company. Don’t trust them. Don’t give them your money.

Hi Tammie,

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

I worked as a gm restaurant business my whole life and I’ve never seen such atrocious customer service as this card provides or not provides. Apparently the rules change the longer you have the card. So when I first got my card I would say about 8 months ago I go away for manager meetings once to twice a month. I used this card for paying bills and hotel stays. The hotel we use puts a 50 dollar incidental charge on your card. The next day you check out they release the hold. My first time using the card I noticed the charge was still there after a week and I called customer service. I asked the hotel beforehand if the release was done. They confirmed. The woman I spoke to and barely understood which is an every time thing when you call said she couldn’t do it. It was gonna be 20 days for to go back.

I asked for a supervisor. 1 hour hold to tell me that once 30 days are up that I’ve had the card they would be able to put the refund back before the 20 days. No problem. I accept that I’m new to the card. Now I’ve done this mind you for 8 months once to twice a month. Called after the 30 days I’ve had the initial card and asked for the refund to get put back and zero issues.

So this past Monday was my meeting. I’m Valley Forge and got my room checked out. Two days later made the first call and was told I wouldn’t get my money back until Sept 4. Almost three weeks from the charge. I said, "No. I do this everytime," and asked for a supervisor. She hung up on me. Called back, waited again and got someone else. Gave me the same line. Asked for a supervisor. Was told none was available. I would have to hold.

An hour later supervisor comes on the rudest yet and tells me that I’m lying. They have never done this for me and it’s their policy not to. I’m sorry. I’m a paying customer and get charged 3 dollars every time I load it and right out the gate I’m a liar? Who says that? Walmart does. I nicely with every ounce in my body try and explain to the man that I have a special needs son with autism and that 50 dollars twice a month is just I single of his prescriptions and this guy's answer and I quote in complete broken English was “Maybe sir you should make more money then so you can take care of your child properly.” I replied in anger at this point and screamed, "He has autism. There is no cure to take care of him," and he proceeded to laugh! When I asked his name he responded with Bob ** and chucked. Now this was someone in India 100%. I could hear the rest of them in the background.

He lied and said he was in Texas and wasn’t even suppose to tell me that. I asked to speak to the person above him and magically we were disconnected right at that moment! Sorry. No excuse trying to save a buck and outsource these rude, incompetent, and discriminatory people! Obviously you employ them so I hold you responsible for making my son's autism a joke! I don’t know what you got going on here but I have never written a review in the 38 years I’ve been alive but you drove me to it! You should be embarrassed to have such horrible employees and I warn anyone who is reading this. The positive reviews are definitely fake!

Stay away from these people and you’ll save yourself a huge headache of never getting anyone who speaks English or has an intelligent thing to say. Your money is hard earned and there are a ton of options out there. I’ll also be making sure when the next autism walks event we do in Philadelphia which is by far one of the biggest I let everyone know there how Walmart’s employees find it a joke! Your employees are a representative of you and this week they made you look like uncaring horrible people.

Hi Adam,

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

The only problem I have is how do I get a replacement card because mine has broken and it is hard for me to use it at this time. Other than that everything is great. It works out good for me and my wife when we go on trips.

Hi Shawn,

We appreciate your feedback and the opportunity to be your alternative to traditional banking. We also thank you for your recommendation. A recommendation from a satisfied customer is the best compliment we can get! Please feel free to send us a private message if you have any questions or concerns.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

Spoked 2 a Mr. Daniel **. I emailed him copies of my driver's license. He said he received them and that he would turn them over to his team for review and that I would receive my money. I've been calling him every day and no response. Now I get an email stating that the copies of my driver's license were blurry not clear. This business is the sham. They take your money and won't give it back. Don't ever anyone buy a Walmart prepaid card. They are rip off. I want my money back. $900 is what they owe me since December.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

My experience with the the Walmart MoneyCard has been great. The Vault in the app has helped me to save a lot of money. I also love that it allows you to get paid two days early. The only downfall is you have to pay for another card.

Hi KaTr'ea,

We loved reading your review and appreciate your feedback. We're so glad we're able to assist you in your financial needs. Your business is greatly appreciated. Please feel free to contact us via private message if you have any questions or concerns.

Walmart MoneyCard Company Information