3.15/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Walmart MoneyCard is a reloadable, prepaid debit card that provides consumers with cash back rewards on purchases they make every day. Use it everywhere Debit MasterCard® or Visa® debit cards are accepted in the U.S. Rewards include 3% cash back at Walmart.com, 2% cash back at Murphy USA and Walmart fuel stations, and 1% cash back at Walmart stores. Earn up to $75 in cash back rewards per year.

Walmart MoneyCard offers free direct deposit and will allow you to send money for free to other Green Dot Bank issued cards. The new Walmart MoneyCard app is now available to track your money around the clock. Contact us today to learn more!

ABBB Rating
View More View More

5639 Walmart MoneyCard Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I have had a Walmart MoneyCard since August. Money is tighter now than it has been in a while so I have been watching my finances a little closer. I have noticed that I am being charged 5.00 in ATM fees for every ATM withdraw on top of the ATM withdrawal fee that whatever ATM I’m using has. The Walmart MoneyCard agreement says that the fee is 2.50.

Now here is the biggest scam of them all. When you go and use the ATM at Walmart it is supposed to be free. But they charged me multiple $5.00 in fees to use an ATM that is supposed to be free. I sat and went through every atm transaction that I have had with them and they have screwed me out of $182.00 in extra fees... That's after I deducted the $2.50 they say I should be charged... I spoke to their (Green Dot) customer service department in the Philippines and they are clueless. They sound like a broken record that every ATM get a $2.50 charge. I asked to speak to a manager 3 separate phone calls. Still no callback!! What a waste of time and money!!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

So for weeks now my Walmart MoneyCard has been blocked. I lost the store bought copy then tried activating my personalized one with my name on it and my account is still blocked. Then they request a picture of my I.D. and asked for 2 business days... It's been a week. I CANNOT ACCESS MY DIRECT DEPOSIT NOR ANY OF MY FUNDS. I've tried it all. That 877 # is nothing. My lawyer will be in contact with yous guys very soon. Thanks for the holiday hardships. I will not lose my hard earned money!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

So I have a Walmart MoneyCard and had my DD put on it. Exactly a month ago my insurance company removed a second payment of 346.20. I then had to file a dispute, which I did immediately. Here I am a month later, with a closed card and on that card is a credit for that amount. 2 weeks ago I called the dispute department and they said they were going to issue a check for that amount of money. I verified 3 times if that was the amount of the check, they said, "Yes. Wait 2 weeks if you don’t receive it call back..."

Fast forward to today, no check, I called yesterday they said, "Yes. 346.20 was mailed and if you don’t receive it by tomorrow call back." I call them... Was told no it was still in dispute and they sent nothing. THEY LIED TO MY FACE!!! Not once but 3 times!!! I told them the second time I called I was recording the conversation, the rep said, "If you don’t stop recording now I will hang up." I asked why, they record the calls and know I was lied to... He said, "Stop now or I’m hanging up," he did! Hung right up on me!!! Busted in a lie to a customer!!!

I fully intend to report this to every single agency I possibly can and, suggest NO ONE EVER get this card!!! I’m so very angry right now! I know the CEO of Walmart as well as a few other people who will be very interested in this!!! And I’m going to forward these recorded calls that your customer service completely lied to me on to the proper authority figures!!! I’m astounded at the ignorance of the customer support involved!!!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I used MoneyCard for going on 2 years. I just recently lost my card and asked for an change of address and to get the card shipped out. I need it to buy Christmas presents and they say that it will take 7 business days. I have not received anything and I have bills to pay. Horrible service. I do not recommend because I needed that money now. I am broke until my pay check comes in 5 days. Why could it not just be expedited for the extra cost?

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

Currently I am using this card for over two years and I've only have one issue which was not against the card. The currently I am waiting on a direct deposit for over $4,000 from my work with my Christmas bonus on it and it has still not posted I have heard from my work that from their end of it bankwise everything has went through. So which leaves me thinking that it is the Green Dot Bank who is associated with this money card. So I called customer service and the only thing they told me is, "Sorry there is a direct deposit delay and I can give you no further information, so you mean to tell me that for as many people as you guys service that you cannot provide me a detailed response as to why in the hell I'm not receiving my money. And it is not posted to my account and all the sudden this is the first time that there has been a direct deposit delay and I have a check for that much money.

This is absolutely ** and somebody needs to have me an answer as to why I do not have my money yet. Used to say if this does not appear in my account today I may be shopping for another card to have my money deposited to. So if I was you I would probably think twice about getting this card because customer service has never been one that's on my good side. Granted probably not their fault the reason things happen but then the last more or less useless when it comes to trying to figure out the issues I'm having.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Walmart MoneyCard?

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

There is something going on with direct deposits and no one has been able to give me information on when it will be resolved. My employer has posted the transaction appropriately like they do every single week. I have already had to cancel several plans and will have to cancel several more today because of this. Christmas is next week and there are no funds in my account!! Please help!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Do not purchase this card if you need any reliability or access to your funds. I reloaded all of my money on this card particularly to request a ride home from work only to find out 4 hours later when my shift was over that my funds were missing and not there. 45 minutes of being on hold with customer service and standing outside in 29 degree weather for 25 minutes stranded with no money I was told by the Green Dot representatives "Not to worry. Your money is fine. We are experiencing a technical difficulty. Check back in a couple hours for your funds". I still don't have my money, I'm still standing in the cold and I still don't have any answers. Not worth it.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I currently have a hold on my account for a 60 dollar garnishment. The garnishment amount had been taken from my account and they continued to have a block on my account even though the money has been removed and I have other money in the account. They told me they needed to receive a fax that the funds had been released and then they would immediately remove the block on my account. This was a week ago. I was given confirmation that they have been faxed twice, once 4 days ago and once 2 days ago with this information and they will not release the block on my account. The last person I spoke to on the phone was rude and told me I could not speak to anybody else about this matter and there is no estimated time on when I will have access to my money. He then told me “Ma’am you just have to wait” before hanging up on me. So ready to get my money and dump this card.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I can't access my money on my Walmart MoneyCard to move it from my vault and customer service either hangs up on me or give a technical difficulty message and the phone hangs up on me. I can't pay my light bill and I have until 5pm to pay it or my lights will be turned off and I will have to pay an additional $75 to get them restored. All behind Walmart MoneyCard and they aren't even saying when the problem will be corrected. They should be responsible for the $75 fee I will be charged because they are the ones holding my money hostage.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Transferred money into Walmart Moneycard and the money is not there. Took an hour to get Customer Service on the phone just to be told they are having systems problems with the Walmart Moneycard. I told her that Walmart should compensate us for this gross inconvenience. I have not been able to buy gas and as I use my car to work I cannot work, nor can I pay for my meds. I transferred that money to my Walmart Moneycard at 9:48 am on December 13, 2018 and it is now 1:15 PM and I have no access to my money. The money is not even posted. I realized the money wasn't on my MoneyCard when I tried to use my card to pay a freeway toll. I want to be compensated for all of my inconveniences.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I deposited my check as usual today but the deposit did NOT go through! I've spent the last hour trying to talk to an actual person! What the hell am I supposed to do now? I have no money till you people decide to give me MY damn money! Of course, the people at Walmart were no help. Actually told me, yeah, they're having issues with deposits! Dont you think that's something that should be mentioned BEFORE someone deposits their entire freaking check?! What the hell am I supposed to do till you people get your crap together?! GET YOUR ** TOGETHER!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I'VE HAD MY WALMART CARD FOR OVER 2 YEARS NOW AND HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM UP UNTIL NOW. Recently I decided to use the stash feature of my money card and now I am unable to unstash my money and have access to my funds!!! I have absolutely no access to my money, and no means to provide for my family until they decide to fix it!!! This is unacceptable! Then to make ** worse I can't even get a damn representative on the phone to let me know what the issue is! Idk if I've been hacked robbed or what because they won't even get on the phone to reassure you things are okay!!! Once I get my money off of here I will neverrr ever again in life deal with Walmart MoneyCard again! And I've reported them to BBB, run like hell from this company!!!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

They have the vault option where you can stash and unstash your money. I stashed over three thousand dollars today, went Christmas shopping while my kids were in school and tried to unstash $400. Normally, it works fine... Today it did not. I waited thirty minutes to speak to someone and they hung up on me. I called back and was put on hold for another thirty minutes only to be told that I cannot access my OWN MONEY!! They're having "technical difficulties" and are unable to allow me access to my funds at this time... "check back every so often the problem may be resolved in the next few hours or so!!" I am livid!! My kids need dinner and medication and I cannot access my own money!! I will be switching cards as soon as I get my money from them! Over the years (six years), I have had many problems with this card, this just did it for me!!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Can't take money out of stash. It says I have reached daily limit yet I haven't transferred ANY money at all today and so I cannot touch my hard earned money. It is just sitting there in the stash and won't let me touch it. I also have bills to pay and have been on hold with customer service for over 30 minutes and no one has picked up and it is an automated voice that says, "Please hold for the next available specialist and we apologize for the delay." I cannot believe how bad this service is and how unprofessional they are. DO NOT USE THIS CARD unless you want to never be able to spend it.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I have been using this card for a few months now everything was fine. Typically I transfer money to my vault account as it acts as saving. Never have any problems. Until today less than two weeks before Christmas I can't transfer my own money that I worked hard for to my account to use my funds. The customer service representatives stated they are having technical issues with the vault which is not okay. They state there is no one estimated time of when this fix will happen. This is just ridiculous. Once I am able to use the money that I work hard for I will definitely cancel my membership. This is not right. What makes it worse is that I was able to use the vault less than 10 mins before. I am so mad. I can't pay my bills put gas and my car or anything. And all the supervisor could say is sorry. Yeah me too sorry that I even signed up for this crap. Less than two weeks before Christmas.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I registered my card online; however, I'm unable to make online purchases. I tried calling to see why and I'm unable to speak with someone to get an answer. The purpose of getting the card was so I would have a safe way to make online purchases. :-(

Hi Angela,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We'd like to have someone look into your account and discuss the concerns that you’ve shared. We'll be in touch with you through the contact information provided to us by Consumer Affairs.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

So not only did I have to pay $3 to load my card, but there was a $4 fee taken right away... When I called customer service, I was routed to a call center in the Philippines. When I asked to be transferred to a department in the USA, I was transferred to a supervisor in the Philippines. Said supervisor advised me that she was unable to "escalate" my call until I verified my card number with her. OK first of all, the reason I requested to be transferred to an American rep is because I do not feel comfortable sharing my financial information with someone outside the US... Unacceptable. Needless to say I will be removing my money from the card and getting rid of it.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I have been using this card with no issues for 4 years. I have been unable to use my own money since 12/7/18. This company told me that the IRS had frozen my account to verify my identity & needed my driver's license emailed. I called the IRS yesterday. They stated, "Call your bank. They lied to you & are holding your funds illegally. This is true but they know they have your money so you can do NOTHING!" I waited on hold yesterday for over an hour to talk to this "supervisor" Grace. She tells me to call the IRS & I said, "No! The hell I am." They said they NEVER flagged me for anything. This bank will hold your money hostage! Oh and I'm supposed to wait 7-10 business days for my account to be released to boot. My rent has not been paid & I am getting daily fees added. Don't give this bank your money - they are liars & thieves!

Hi Stacy,

We’re sorry to hear that you’ve had trouble with your card. We'd like to have a customer support specialist look into this further. We’ll be reaching out to you soon through the contact information provided to us by Consumer Affairs.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I've been told by the Wal-Mart that my account is closed, and I'll be receiving a refund check within 10 days. However, I never closed my account. I can't get through to talk with anyone about this issue.

Hi Michael,

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Customer service is horrible along with the card service. The only benefit to it is that you get your paycheck two days faster but I’ll rather avoid the headache... My funds where suppose to be released after a certain day and wasn’t gave them a call telling me I have to wait for a email from technical support in 24 hours. I gave them 48 hours. Still haven’t heard from anyone and no funds still in my account.

Hi Brittney,

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

DIDN'T get my direct deposit. It said denied but NO ONE TO TALK TO. I just want a number without an answer machine that is so stupid. I need to speak to a person!!! My employer said that the transaction went through but it didn't.

Hi Saja,

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I would like to know why did y'all block my card. Cause my SSI came on my card now y'all block my card. I need to talk to corporate office about this cause next month I am changing cards cause this is not right at all. Then the workers getting more mad than you and hang phone up in my face.

Hi Patrica,

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I have been happy with my card up until recently. I must say I have been so disappointed beyond belief about how unhelpful they have been in a time I most needed it. I used my card to purchase gas at an Arco gas station, unfortunately due to an error with the station pump system, they were unable to sell me gas but for some reason. The system authorized all my available funds and I was left with a $0 balance. The gas station attendant advised that the funds should be voided and released within 24 hrs.

I immediately called the bank and told them and literally begged them to allow me a little money to be able to buy gas at another gas station. They credited me $25 and advised the rest will be available within 24 hrs. This did not sit well with me as I was out of money and no gas due to no fault of mine. I tried to reason with their customer service department and explained that I am a rideshare driver and they took all my money and cannot work without fuel. I lost 2 days of work and unable to pay my water bill which was due. So as I write this today, it's day 3 and still no money and I was just told to wait till the 11th which is ridiculous.

I am not asking for a freebie here, just for my money to be released. If it was them, they don't hesitate taking their money but I have to plead and beg for what is mine. No one was willing to help me or go above the call. I am unable to pay my bills, unable to work and forced to wait and they call themselves a food company. I am taking this up with my local consumer affairs, news station, Congress. I thought that someone would have some compassion during this holiday season and help but no, they just don't care. I don't know how to get through to anyone. Let's see if anyone bothers to do the right thing.

Hi Nobbi,

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I'm now heading into my third year of using Walmart MoneyCard. Leaving behind my old bank was the best choice I ever made. I live paycheck-to-paycheck and there were many times when I couldn't keep the minimum $15 balance that was required by my bank. (You know... The one where they would charge you ANOTHER $15 for not having $15 to begin with.) Walmart MoneyCard has no minimum balance, no overdraft fees, a free vault that acts like its own savings account, and cash-back savings at the end of every year. This past year, I not only earned $20 in cash-back, but I also won $30 from the Prize Savings lottery! I never win ANYTHING, so you can imagine my shock when I signed in and found an extra $30 in my account from "Prize Savings". I was really happy. :) I love this card and have no plans to ever use another one.

Hi Shannon,

We loved reading your review and appreciate your feedback. We're so glad we're able to assist you in your financial needs. Your business is greatly appreciated. Please feel free to contact us via private message if you have any questions or concerns.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I have had nothing but horrible service from their call center in the Philippines. Why must companies sacrifice quality for profit. No one will help me because if a phone number on my account that should not be there cannot be verified. I have had an account for over 2 years and the phone number is older than that I guess. Well I have changed numbers several times and do not recall the one on the account. I am trying to access my online account to change it and I do not recall my password. So I have requested a code sent to my email. For a week nothing has been sent. I have used every browser and all my devices still nothing.

These people will not think outside the box or have a workaround for my situation. The only solution was for me to cancel my card take the money off my card put it on a new card and open a new account which is the longest and stupidest way to do something.

I am sick and tired of these people not understanding what the situation is and I'm tired of them, "I apologize, I can't do this. I apologize, I can't do that. I apologize, I can't transfer your supervisor because you can't verify your account" but yet I can't verify my account with everything except a silly phone number which really in the scheme of things is nothing so I'm maybe green. Will get a hold of me and actually do something about the situation I'm at and maybe get off their butts and get off get out of the Philippines and get back to United States where the money should be spent. Shame on you green. For outsourcing your service to a terrible terrible terrible horrible place to do business. Oh and to make matters worse I used to run call centers and working clothes centers and I know how to train people. I know what takes so I know really what we supposed to wait until about and they're not doing their job.

Hi Russ,

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

On 11/30 Walmart Money Card/Green Dot closed my account with over $3000 in it. They said they first blocked then closed it because they could not verify my identity even though I sent them a copy of my valid passport. Now they are making it impossible for me to reach anyone to find out how to get my $3000. There are countless complaints like mine of them stealing customers money and Walmart is turning a blind eye. I have emailed top executives at Walmart with no response. Look it up. This happened a couple of years ago and now they are doing it again. Green Dot is preying on hardworking lower income people who don’t have the means to fight back. This is a travesty and Walmart is equally at fault because they put their name on the card and promote it. Shame on Walmart and Green Dot.

Hi Milissa,

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I got the card because I wanted something to route my deposits from time to time. Suddenly after a year of having the card I am hit with restrictions and customer care who have hung up on me multiple time, and given me no help. Now I cannot withdraw MY OWN MONEY because of a sudden change of policy. I asked when was this change made and why wasn't I inform- their response was "it was a policy update" leaving me unable to pay my rent in full- like what the eff?!?!

11/29/2018 I was charged twice for using the ATM once and was told they would NOT reimburse me. I was given a refund back from a error in a Amazon order, I saw the pending addition to my account. I called to ask if possible to know when the amount would return to my card and suddenly it's gone and the man who I spoke to today basically told me, "You authorized the transaction so it's gone." I have been losing money and opportunities with this card as of recent. I would not recommend this card to a soul and I am truly upset.

Hi Andrea,

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I had a frog kit fraud case on my Walmart money card. I won the fraud case. They said they would be issue me a full refund. Be a check VIA mail 2 weeks. I waited the two weeks. Send me a piece of paper saying that they put the refund on my locked card that they locked from the fraud and I wasn't able to use it so then I called them. They said they would. They couldn't transfer the money onto my new Walmart money card so they'd send me another check two weeks. While I waited 2 weeks that did not show up. Got another letter stating that they deposited on my locked card again so then I called back and they said it would be another two weeks. While I waited 2 weeks and still nothing. Still nothing. Still nothing in.

Mind you this was filed in August 13th of this year. It is now December. I am laid off of work. I really need this money. They pretty much stolen it for me. Customer service now when I call they say they asked my name and social. I give him that. I give you my address. I said it's not on file and I cannot confirm my identity so they can't talk to me about it so now I'm just been screwed. Can't even get my freaking money. Man I'm going to get evicted. I need help. Somebody please help me

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I have had this card for a few years and no problems that a phone call and a clear explanation of the situation and why it happened and I am sorry for your inconvenience didn't suffice. The problems began the first of November 2018. I had 4 transactions fraudulent charged to my card all in Anaheim California. The first 3 times the money was put back on within a hour - the 3 one I called in and the transaction was pending and the lady says it will be put back on your card. I am thinking because she knew it was fraudulent the money showed up a hour or so later. I asked the person should I have my card replace and she I can do so. I felt and I experience this that I should get a waiver on the FedEx charge to have my charge in 3 days since they have detected fraudulent charges - no new card.

Yesterday while I was out shopping in Granite City, Illinois at Walmart and St. Louis, Mo another fraudulent transaction took the remaining balance of my card in Anaheim California. I called this morning and spoke to someone who kept telling me, "We can not dispute this authorized transaction until it post." That I do not understand. Isn't it best to report and investigate early and it was not an authorized transaction; but tell me who will they investigate. The information provided for the merchant is the same sort of nonsense random letters as the first 3 (the latest stated: Hkcymdir eghvj, no address, no telephone number and Anaheim California 92801.) I ask to speak to a manager. She said they will call me. I had to call back 4 hours later extremely un-composed and mad.

I finally talked to someone who finally goes back to see at least 2 transactions and the money put back. So my argument was if it was pending and my money was put back on my card why can't it happen this time. No real explanation but she says I have to wait until December 11 to dispute the transaction because I can't dispute it now. And when I do dispute it, it will take up to 10 business days to investigate it. But what are you investigating. There is nothing to trace back to - I spent an hour totally upset with the person and more so because there was no empathy in her voice. Her tone never changed until I started frustrating her with my talk and it was horrible. And I admitted it to her and I apologize to her but told her it wasn't personal but the customer service was horrible.

I would like to think a business that I frequently used would have more concern about fraud on a customer and showing some empathy to the situation. And then talk clearly so I could understand the process of the situation and that is what I needed most to explain to me how the system works. And it looks as if it wasn't to my advantage. This is clearly fraud so now I have to go and take the rest of my money I have in stash (which I just read about and loved this. I don't have to travel to my credit union to go into my savings). But then I have to call back once again to cancel the card and pay to have it FedEx to me which I feel since it's fraud it should be given a reverse charge.

But I clearly am upset that the balance of my money is gone and I have to wait 2-3 weeks to even see the outcome which it clearly looks like fraud. Is this not a secure card on a secure site. It is the holiday sense, I understand perfect for scams and fraud but I believed my MoneyCard to be secure and that the person I spoke with had some empathy for their customers.

Hi Michelle,

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I have loved my money card. It holds me accountable and doesn't have overdraft fees. Only improvement needed is when requesting a card because it is old or broken. We shouldn't have to wait 2 weeks and not be able to use our card now.

Hi Jessica,

Great Feedback! We appreciate your feedback and thank you for choosing Green Dot as your alternative to traditional banking. Please feel free to contact us via private message if you have any questions or concerns.

Walmart MoneyCard Company Information