3.23/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Walmart MoneyCard is a reloadable, prepaid debit card that provides consumers with cash back rewards on purchases they make every day. Use it everywhere Debit MasterCard® or Visa® debit cards are accepted in the U.S. Rewards include 3% cash back at Walmart.com, 2% cash back at Murphy USA and Walmart fuel stations, and 1% cash back at Walmart stores. Earn up to $75 in cash back rewards per year.

Walmart MoneyCard offers free direct deposit and will allow you to send money for free to other Green Dot Bank issued cards. The new Walmart MoneyCard app is now available to track your money around the clock. Contact us today to learn more!

ABBB Rating
View More View More

5537 Walmart MoneyCard Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Get United States based customer service... Other than that the card and service is ok. Would like to be able to personalize my card too. Also would be cool... updates to the Walmart app would be nice too. Thank you for your time and have a great day.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Need a new card. Magnet strip fails at a lot of stores. It is ridiculous that to get a new card I have to deactivate current card leaving me no access to my money approx 10 days. I have direct deposit.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

This card has been very useful in saving money. I am able to "lock" my money in the online vault so that it is secure and move it any time it is needed. I would recommend this card as a supplemental savings account to everyone.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

People you talk to about a problem are not very bright also don't know what they are doing. Also it would be great if you could decline a payment on the app. As is we have to suck it up if something is wrong. Because it's too hard to decline it. Have been wanting to change from y'all because of this. Just haven't had time to do it. But if y'all fix this then I don't have to go to all the trouble to.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I love my card and the fact I can use it anywhere and it offers direct deposit. I hate the fact that if I need to deposit cash the only place I can do so is in Walmart. The line is always long and half the people act like they don't know how to count the money.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Walmart MoneyCard?

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I hate that I bought this to be easier than a bank. I still have to pay to withdraw funds or pay bills. I use my card all the time and hate pulling out cash but when I do I hate paying $3 plus atm fees, might as well go back to the bank!!! Depositing checks on the card should be free as well!!! I'm actually in the process of changing to a credit union because of this!!!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I have read so many reviews about people having their account blocked. I am going through the same thing with my social security direct deposit. It went in Wednesday the 17th. When I tried to pay my bills it was declined. I called customer service only to find out they have blocked my account. I sent everything they said they needed. Every time I call I get a different excuse. They won't unblock my account. They don't care if I can't pay my bills and can lose everything. Has anyone got the block removed and their money back. If so how long did you have to wait.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I been having a Walmart MoneyCard since 2013 or before I have 5 kids. Rent is about to be due. I spoke with a supervisor that told me to submit my ID. I've done it twice. Still nothing and now I'm told my card is going to remain blocked until the review is done. I can't access my online acct. I can't activate my card or nothing. I filed non-authorizations on my acct and the rep did not tell me that my card and everything else would be blocked. The rep from this morning tells me if my direct deposit hits while my card is blocked it will be sent back to the issuer.

My rent is about to be due. If the rent is paid because my card is blocked Walmart ain't gonna step up and my rent. There's nobody I can speak to but the supervisor himself gave me the online information along with my case # and told me to submit it. I submitted my info twice. Walmart ain't gonna pay for my water bill, light bill or nothing and my landlord most definitely ain't gonna wanna hear my card was blocked. I'm going to get evicted with 5 kids and our car is currently in the shop so because of Walmart MoneyCard me and my 5 kids will be outside in the cold. For a big company Walmart has a very poor way of handling business especially when blocking your acct without knowledge. Who do I call the Better Business Bureau or a lawyer since I can't speak with corporate or nobody else that can help me at Walmart. This is insane. Highly upset about this.

Hi Takira,

We’re sorry to hear that you’ve had trouble with your card. We'd like to have a customer support specialist look into this further. We’ll be reaching out to you soon through the contact information provided to us by Consumer Affairs.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

A few weeks ago I went to HEB to buy food for my family and was completely surprised when my card was denied. I was in shock and tried again because I knew I had money available; it declined again. Embarrassed, I get out of the line to check my account and there was a charge to an auto part store for over $100.00 that I did not charge. Immediately, I called Walmart MoneyCard and they closed the card and stated that they would send another. About a week later, I received a card in the mail.

Upon activating, it instructed me to send in an ID for verification (in which I did) the next day so was told that my account has been blocked, I can not use my card and I will no longer be able to get direct deposits sent. I have been a LOYAL CUSTOMER for over 6 YEARS. When I called to resolve the issue no one was helpful. Asked to speak to a supervisor, nothing was done. Was told that someone would give me a call and no one has. I will be contacting the corporate office to WALMART soon as well as the Better Business Bureau because this is ridiculous. Now I am without money and will probably get kicked out my home. If I have to even go as far as getting a Lawyer, I WILL!

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We'd like to have someone look into your account and discuss the concerns that you’ve shared. We'll be in touch with you through the contact information provided to us by Consumer Affairs.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I had a direct deposit that cleared my account and in the exact same day that it cleared 13 separate charges of $50 in California (I'm from Florida) appeared on my account. When I call to complain I was told that I had to wait until the transactions were no longer pending and then I can file a fraud claim. Once I filed my fraud claim, I was then told I had to send an information and that from the time they receive said information it would take 7 to 10 business days in order for them to finish their search. Then depending on what they determined then it will take another 10 to 15 business days in order for me to get my money back. I'm now in the first week of being out of $650, with no help whatsoever in sight from this company. As soon as I get my money back, I WILL NEVER USE THIS COMPANY AGAIN.

Hi Tamesia,

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

This card is horrible. I got the card to purchase a plane ticket. Purchased the ticket, less than 24 hours later my card was froze. Had to verify my identity. Did required steps. Then received notice that they couldn't verify my identification after submitted documents. Customer service is a joke, no live person. The only way I actually got in contact with someone was through Facebook messenger and emails. They told me to resubmit my documents. Tried to submit once again. It tells me documents submitted previously. This card is a scam. Meanwhile they are siphoning the remaining balance though monthly fees. I'm looking into an attorney. Beware beware beware.

Hi Denise,

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I had my card blocked on 9/23/18 over a return and after being on hold for 45 minutes I was able to talk to a representative who fixed the issue and removed the block then and there. Now two weeks later my card is blocked again over another return. After 1.5 hours on hold between representatives and supervisors I was informed that they could not remove the block without copies of the original purchase. I send the copies of the return receipt, original receipt, and a letter from the business verifying the purchases.

So after waiting the 2 days they said it would take they say they only received the letter. so now I had to send them the receipts in separate emails. Now they push me back two more days to review the documents. After waiting the 2 days I call and they say the status is pending and my money is safe and I will get a notification when the block is removed. Sorry if my trust is very little with this company as if they will actually release my funds and actually notify me when they will after reading all the horror stories on here. The customer service is hard to understand, and the waits are terrible. They rarely give you anything that is helpful toward resolving the issue. All they say is that they are sorry for the inconvenience and sorry for the wait and that they are unable to do anything at this moment.

Hi Derrick,

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

If you don't need to use your card for awhile they claim your account is dormant and they take your money??? I called a couple weeks ago and they said I had money still on my card but I have to fill out forms and send it in to get my money back. I just called them back and now they say my account has $0 in it??? This card is a SCAM!!!

Hi Michael,

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

This card is great until you encounter issues. Unlike a bank there is no physical location and no way to get to a manager quickly. If You encounter any kind of issue with your money and ask to talk with someone in management, the customer service agent will tell you that they have to put in a request and allow two days to hear back. This is unacceptable when it comes to your money, at a bank you can get your issues resolved immediately. Some issues I have incurred with this card took 5 days to resolve, can you imagine waiting five days for your funds to be released and not being able to speak to someone who knows half of what they are talking about. I have waited on hold to speak with a customer service agent for up to an hour and a half. This card is a no go!!

Hi Ervina,

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

My account was hacked about a month ago. I did dispute it and they shut down my card. Whoever hacked my account even changed the email address I originally provided, so I had no way to access it online at all. Received a notice that they finish the review and funded my account the money. Why would you refund the money to a closed down account?? I called customer service, but I cannot get through because my social security number and date of birth aren't registering. Well apparently there is no way to speak to anyone w/out it matching up. What kind of unhelpful ** is that?? Still can't access the money that was stolen and refunded and there is no way to speak to anyone. The letter I received doesn't even have a number to call.

Hi Nicole,

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

This has been a complete nightmare. I had a transaction deducted from my account on 9/20/18. I filed a disputed as instructed and the representative told me it would take 10 business day to resolve the dispute. I called on the 11th business day and received another date of 45 days to resolve the issue. At that point I closed the account. Today I found out the company sent the money back I went to log into the prepaid account and there it was just sitting there since the 8th October. I call the customer service line and they stated the only way to receive my money is for them to send it by mail in a check form which will take another 10 days. At that point will be well over a month from the time I filed the dispute.

Please, please do yourself a favor and run AWAY from this company. They are not here to help or protect the customer as a regular bank typically has dispute resolved in half the time frame than what Walmart MoneyCard lies to you about. There are many banks you can go through if you need a debit cards with no credit, first time banking or bad credit. Wells Fargo Opportunity Checking is one of them. At this point I’m going the legal route in order for me to receive my money because I don’t believe a word they say. And all of their representatives are from overseas and it is hard to understand them and they really don’t care about your issues. COMPLETE TOTAL NIGHTMARE!!!

Updated on 10/16/2018: I gave Walmart Money Card/Green Dot the opportunity to respond to my request and as you can see from my two previous post not one response was made from them. I also filed multiple complaints on other sites including theirs. As well as a written complaint the FDIC which sent a response letting me know my complaint has been forwarded onto Federal Reserve of Governors. Do yourself a favor if you have done your part with attempts on getting this resolve by phone. Please don't wait for long periods of time before going the legal route. 90% of the attorneys will assist you with your Consumer Fraud Claim and charge the company for legal fees and damages. Good luck to everyone and sorry you all had to encounter this nightmare. Please DO NOT GIVE UP, be sure that you fight to end!!!

Hi Kim,

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I have just recently found out that my Walmart Money Card has been blocked and pending a review due a charge on my card that I have reported. I've read some the reviews that other customers like myself have reported and honestly I cannot say that I am not concerned because I am... So now I apparently have to go on the secure website to upload a picture of my ID/Driver's License in which I have attempted to do and it is now saying that my card number is not found. So I'm not sure if I have to wait until I receive my new card in order to be able to upload my picture ID... So what I'd like to know has anybody here with the same situation had any success at retrieving their account along with all monetary funds???

Hi Katrina,

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I have had this card over 2 yrs. Everything was cool. Then I was credited $500.00. They blocked my account without any notification. So they are people not from USA. I can't hardly understand what they are saying. And each time you call it's someone different. They don't really care to help resolve the issue. I have sent them all the receipts and then they say I need to wait 10 more ** days. I'm starting to get pissed again.

Hi Aaron,

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I've used Walmart MoneyCard since 2013-ish. I have my social security direct deposited to the account. From there I use the free bill pay service that come with the card/account to pay bills. It has only been swiped at a check out terminal perhaps once in the past 3 years. A few days ago I logged into my account to use bill pay to pay a credit card bill and noticed 6 charges totaling almost $700. I immediately called up the customer service number listed on the card. I got a person whose accent was so thick I had to keep asking them to repeat themselves, and the noise in that call center was unreal. I reported these disputed charges to the lady on the line. She seemed clueless as to how to handle the situation.

At one point I actually had to ask, "shouldn't you like cancel the card or account or something to keep any more funds from being removed?" To which she actually responded, "I don't know." She could not really tell me anything. They will open an investigation and I will hear something in 10 business days. As to when or if I would get my money credited back, she had no idea. Why did not someone notice the change in activity on the card? For years only bill pay service had been used, then all of a sudden it is being used in stores in New Jersey when I live in Tennessee. (Btw the card is still in my possession - so it was cloned at some point, but when? It hasn't been swiped.) I am not a happy customer at this point. I would like to know when to expect my money to be returned. I am willing to cooperate in any way I can to get this resolved quickly.

Hi Laura,

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I contacted Walmart MoneyCard almost a week ago. Again I had a card compromised. I asked for my new card to be expedited to me. For which I was charged the $15 expedited fee which is fine. Suppose to have my card in 3 days. It's been 6 days now and still no card. Almost all my funds are on this card. And I will have bills due shortly. And I could use some groceries. I'm very disappointed in the Walmart MoneyCard.

Hi David,

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I have used my card for over 10 years with no problems. My account was compromised and I called to dispute the charge. The company reversed the transaction but the money is not in my account. It's been almost 2 months. I’m pissed. I need my money! I’m a single mom!

Hi Veronica,

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I had read many reviews complaining about disputes so I decided I had to share my experience. I had two major charges in another city on my account. I assume it was my carelessness as I had another debit card hacked at the same time. I sent in the dispute form and within a week I was credited for both transactions and had a card expedited to my house in time for payday. I was extremely impressed and thankful.

Hi Steven,

We loved reading your review and appreciate your feedback. We're so glad we're able to assist you in your financial needs. Your business is greatly appreciated. Please feel free to contact us via private message if you have any questions or concerns.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Like many more reviews I see on here. I too am experiencing the same issue with my money I work hard for. Typically my direct deposit is already on the card by Thursday morning around 4:00am. This morning I got no deposit and upon placing a call to the automated line I discover my direct deposit is under review and I can’t get any additional details from an agent. This is the shadiest crap I’ve ever experienced with Walmart. Notice how they only respond to positive reviews? Quite evasive I’d say. I will never use another Walmart MoneyCard again after this experience! Highly disappointed and dissatisfied!

Hi Scott,

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I got this card little over 2 years ago. There was fraud activity with my account so I opened a dispute and now 3 days later on my payday they are holding my check because of technical difficulties with no explanation, will not tell me when I will have my money on my card. I call my payroll and they tell me it was direct deposited already so there is nothing they can do. I have a new bank now and will be canceling this account as soon as they give me my money.

Hi April,

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I have been with this card over 10 years and never had a problem with the direct deposit being deposited a day early than my original payday. Well today I was curious as to why it didn’t post after all this time. I was instructed by the automated system to check with my employer first. Everything was great and done the same as always and sent as usual no differences. I call the customer service for Walmart MoneyCard and was told that they are having a direct deposit delay and the engineers are working to resolve this and sorry for the inconvenience.

So... What about the return fees from my creditors or bills that I have auto drafted from my account? Is there any compensation for this? Still response is “at this time we have no more information”. So I’m just not suppose to get my pay because you have no back up plan when your direct deposit is down? And I’m told to just keep checking the site and app! This is the worst and it sucks! I don’t have the luxury of waiting on my funds cause I have plenty more saved up! I want my funds and I want them now!

Hi Jermika,

We tried to contact you regarding your concerns with your account, but haven’t been able to reach you. It’s important to us that we speak with you so that we can work towards resolving your concern. Please contact us directly so that we may assist you further.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

Up until today I had never had any issues with any direct deposits. However, when I went to check my balance, the automated voice says, "Your direct deposit for $10.47 on October 10, 2018, has not posted because it is under review." I'm confused. I get direct deposits all the time, have for several years just like clockwork. This is the first time there's ever been a review on a direct deposit. No matter the amount, it's money and money from my job. I just need to find out why there is a review on the direct deposit when there is and has never been any suspicious or illegitimate activity on my account. Thanks.

Hi Kimberly,

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

So every time I shop at Safeway my account gets charged twice but for a few cents in difference, weird. I'm not going to write a letter for 5 to 10 dollars so they got me twice and never shopped at Safeway again. This time they put a hold on my card, saying Circle K has a pending charge, already spoken to Circle K corporate and they didn't charge me. It's been three days and everything is frozen. So time for a letter, not even an email. What is this? I'm broke!

Hi Erin,

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I have had this card for a little over a year. Never had a problem until now. My wife and I are the only ones who used the card. On Saturday September 22, 2018 my wife bought us breakfast after her work meeting. Not even 2 hours later we received an alert for a transaction of $449.17 used at a DSW in a location over 5 hours away from us. Right away we called to dispute the transaction. They gave us a dispute # and asked us to write them a detail report. So we did and included the dispute # on the letter. We now been informed that it's been denied. How can we use our card 5 hours away if we only have 1, which my wife used it in the morning after work and I had work that evening so I couldn't even be out of town. We both have clock in reports too and Google GPS location history proving we weren't out of town.

Hi Mark,

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I would give 0 stars if I could. Have money on a card. Call to dispute a charged. My card has been blocked. I submitted a pictured Id as they said I had to and the block was supposed to be removed in 2 bus days. It's been a week and it's still blocked. I don't know how I'm going to pay my bills. My money is in that account but they won't remove the block even though they have sent me a new card. Try calling customer service and it's just an automated message and I can't talk to anyone. This is just a scam. Walmart MoneyCard took my money.

Hi Christina,

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

They blocked my card! I’m a single mother of two boys. I have to pay rent today and bills and get my sons' diapers. I have been on the phone waiting for 2 hrs and still waiting! I got my check deposited today and then my account got blocked. I have to pay rent today!!! Or I lose my place! I’m not too happy! 2 hrs I have heard “we are experiencing high call volume”! Hope you guys like ripping off single mothers!

Hi Brittany,