Vanilla Prepaid Cards

Compare Prepaid Debit Cards

Research top Prepaid Debit Cards recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have received few of these cards for a gift and have also purchased 4 of them (each one worth 200$, therefore 800$ wasted!!) When people I gave these cards as gifts tried to use them, they were all declined. When they went through the activation process, it seemed as everything went well but unfortunately they were unable to use them. The cards I received were also not used for the same reasons mentioned above. When I called the company and provided them with all the information they requested in order to "resolve" the issue: receipts, place where the cards were purchased, activation codes as well card numbers and expiration dates, they said it would take up to ten business days to fix the "errors that occurred during activation".

Anyhow, it has been over four months now and numerous phone calls and wasted time with the company's reps, and they have not done anything about it. The one thing they have done is kept all the money, which totals over 1200$. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND TO ANYONE USE OF VANILLA PREPAID CREDIT CARDS AS THEY ARE AN OFFICIAL FRAUD COMPANY!!! As for those who already went through bad experience and wasted their money, I would suggest they take action and start a lawsuit against them. I am sure we can gather the info from many that were scammed and proceed with the lawsuit. I Would also recommend to all merchandisers to refuse the use of these cards as well as not to accept the sale of these cards so that way they can prevent these issues from happening in the future.

Found out after many tries that you cannot use a Vanilla Prepaid MasterCard toward a purchase. Have to pay the difference first and then have merchant enter the exact amount remaining on your card. I'm sure other gift cards are the same, but this is the first I've had one in many years. Did not think I should need an owner's manual to use it. :)

But getting this out of the phone support person was extremely difficult. Especially as she would not let me talk. She appeared to like hearing her own voice. She said a transaction last month actually went thru at Burger King and I knew for sure it did not. She said I actually had no balance left and that the balance of $8.10 was actually the purchase amount at Burger King. After talking to a supervisor she said the $8.10 would be available after the weekend. Not sure what changed. Still being confused I asked her if the card being a card from Canada and used in the US (I'm in the US) could be part of the problem. She said, "oh yeah, I did not think of that". So, now we started to get to the root of the problem, with no help from phone support.

But then I got to thinking, the next time I try to use the card I will have to convert the amount of $8.10 to US$, and the conversion rate changes often. Next subtract that resulting converted amount from my purchase. Then pay the merchant the difference. Lastly have the merchant charge the remaining amount to the gift card. When I explained this to phone support she said it was not true. Then later she said I did not tell her I was trying to use in the US. Which doesn't make sense because this was part of the discussion two paragraphs back. Needless to say I tossed the card as the frustration was getting to be too much. Don't like the fact that Vanilla has $8.10 that they so don't deserve, but oh well. I need to move on before I have a heart attack over $8.10, or $5.93 US dollars as of 4/30/2017. :)

Card we received as a gift the beginning of December was partially destroyed. Been trying since a couple of weeks before Christmas to get a replacement card.

Always told one is being sent and should receive in 7-14 days. By this time we should have received 10. The last two times I have called this month I was told "We are so sorry but one was not ordered when you called in but we are doing now." Nope, having received them either.

My husband passed away Christmas day and before they would talk to me since he was the one that originally reported it, I had to send them his death certificate, copy of will and his ID and mine. After losing my husband this is not what I am wishing to deal with but I have been calling every 2 weeks since after his death and yet NO CARD. This is a terrible company. No one should have to go through this to get a replacement for something that someone purchased. They have their money but yet those that have had theirs stolen, lost or destroyed this company is making a killing since they are not replacing any of them. My card should have a value of $175.00.

I purchased a prepaid Visa card on April 18th, 2017 in the amount of $107 and I didn't take it out of the package until April 20, 2017. However, I kept the receipt. By the time I went to use the card for the FIRST time at 3 p.m. that afternoon there was only a balance of $2.47 on the card. Apparently, someone else had used the card not more than 15 minutes before I had a chance too. There were 3 transactions from the same merchant, Bluebird, all within 2 minutes of verifying the amount on the card. I immediately called the number on the back of the card and explained the situation. The rep said that it looks like the transactions were done in New York. Guess what? I'm in Michigan. The dispute for was sent to my email address to complete and return. I'm hoping the fact that I have the original receipt, the card and the package is enough for them to refund my money plus the activation fee. Never again.

I bought 3 Vanilla card and putted $500 on all three to buy a car from eBay motors. The people said it didn't go through so I checked my card and it said 0.00 and I call Vanilla Customer service and they said wait 3-8 business days so I did. Next I checked it again... The money never got put back on at all. It's been a month and I haven't got my money ($1,500) back on the card. All of them got 06/25 for the expiration date. It's too much money to be wasted right now. They suppose to sent me some dispute papers but they haven't did it yet and they said they was going to email me but haven't received one yet. I really need the money back. My family is in need for this money. I don't know what else to do. I told the police and they said open a dispute. They don't know what to do neither. I really really need help with getting this money back!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanilla Prepaid Cards?

I lost my Visa gift card and had purchase order number to recover the card and a 260 balance however the company said I needed the sixteen digit number for refund and card replacement. The card is active and online with another company who will only give me the last four digits of the card. I want a resolution to this matter, it appears if I don't recover the numbers the company will keep the money.

First off don't tell me you have this credit card business and you can upload money in seconds to spend it but once something happens it take 7 business days to return my money. That's crazy. I called with an authorize number so they can return my money fast which in any situation with any other card you could basically do just so everything's in and everyone knows this isn't fraud and they still want to have 300 bucks just on hold. That's crazy. Just go out of business. This is **. The worst ever.

I have been trying to get a replacement card SINCE 12-15-2016. I have tried 7 [seven] times. Each time I am told my replacement card should arrive in 7-10 days, and it NEVER comes in the mail. I have spelled my name 7 & my address, and my Phone number, verified my name & address number by number, letter by letter each time. And as of 4-13-2017 have STILL NOT GOT A REPLACEMENT CARD. I HAVE NEVER HAD SO MUCH TROUBLE WITH CUSTOMER SERVICE. All the people are nice and take all the info each time, but STILL NO REPLACEMENT CARD.

I can definitely relate to other's bad experience with prepaid VISA card. I had the same problem. I was told the $200 fund was never loaded and to go back to the store to complaint. Guess what, the store said it was loaded, even the company overseeing this type of transaction for the store confirmed the same. I was told my next step would be to call VISA. I spent hours explaining the situation to a dozen of people at the call center. The phone reps were professional, helpful, nice & appeared to go out of their way to help but no one was able to help resolve the issue, including the manager. I'm still in the process of getting this issue resolve & crossing my fingers that I'll get to use whatever left of the balance since there's also a $2 monthly fee of inactivity. My advice to the consumer: never ever buy a prepaid VISA card. It's a scam!

I purchased two Vanilla Visa cards during the 2016 holidays. One card was lost so I contacted Vanilla Visa to get a replacement card. Needless to say I have submitted documentation of proof of purchase and address along with the assigned "ticket" number. Each time I call there is a different customer service person saying they didn't receive the email or fax. This company should have a class action lawsuit against them for fraud. Don't use this company. They are thieves.

Activated my gift card only to find out very limited merchants accept the card. Basically, the card is now worthless. I have $150 on it and nowhere to spend the money. The stores that do take it are an hour bus ride from me. Seems like the only places that take the card for transactions are the ones that sell them too.

One of the worse companies ever. Reported a gift card stolen months ago to be told the card is like cash. They don't refund you a stolen or lost card but they won't deny you to open a claim but they don't tell you ahead of time you're screwed. They lead you on to send in supporting documents and calling speaking to representatives or doing follow-ups and still nothing will be done. It's just to make it seem like they care. I will never again purchase a Visa Vanilla gift card and I will tell all my family and friends not to do so either.

I purchased two Visa Vanilla gift cards for Christmas. One was for $100 and the other for $25. When the recipients of the cards tried to use them, they were declined and were expired. The expiration date on each card was 06/25. I do not understand how they could be expired. I contacted the number on the card and began an endless process of being transferred from one person who spoke bad English to another, and round and round I went. No one could help me. I finally spoke with a lady who was a "rep" of the bank and she wanted a duplicate receipt. It is now March, everyone has their gift cards and I do not have the receipts.

The people apologized so many times while they did nothing to assist me that I finally told all of them to drop the worthless apologies. I was at the end of my rope and I was not nice to them. I guess not I am out $125. I am retired and on social security, but it's the principle of this. How about helping a customer? I will never buy another Visa Vanilla gift card. I will get all of my gift cards at the bank. I think this company is just a scam and pocketing the monies from these "expired" cards. I have filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission and also with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau? Thank you for letting me vent!

Had a $25 gift card and with cash bought something for $47. Returned it to the store and the clerk accidentally put all $47 back on gift card. Vanilla froze the card saying it was more than $25 and after calling 10 or more times for 2 weeks they never unlocked the card and just outright stole our money!!! The worst company I have ever dealt with.

I got a $50 gift card maybe like 18 months ago. Tried to pay with the gift card and transaction declined. I called the number of the back of the card and they told me that I need the original receipt in order to activate it. I couldn't believe it!!! Who receipts with gift cards?? Purchased Gift Cards should have access to the money without asking for a receipt. I insisted that I can't go back to the people gave me the card and asked for the receipt. I think the Vanilla Gift are making very difficult for the activation so they can pocket the money. JUST SAD!!! Poor customer service. She hanged the phone to me. I told her I was going online and make a comment about the scam!!! Visa shouldn't let this company use their logo!!! Bad reputation.

I bought this gift card for my Grandson and mailed it to him, he never received it. I did make a copy of the back of the card. I called and was told even though I had the serial number and they confirmed that I had purchased it at Walmart and that it had not been used, they were unable to issue me a new card without the receipt and a photocopy of the front of the card as well as the back. Who does that? By the way, they also confirmed with me that the second card I had purchased for my other Grandson was used, one serial number apart. The card has been stolen twice, once by whomever has it and once by Vanilla.

Unknowingly I purchased a Vanilla Visa Gift card. I used it online to order Christmas presents. I ordered some items from Target, which two of the items were going to ship too late for Christmas. I cancelled these two items and Target issued credit to Vanilla Visa. I NEVER GOT THE CREDIT APPLIED TO MY CARD. Vanilla Visa denies getting the credit, but Target gave me the exact date they issued credit to them. I will never buy a Vanilla Visa again.

I won a Gift Card from work for employee of the month. Lost the card after making one small purchase. Reported the card lost and was told I could get a replacement just send in address and copy or receipt. I told my original phone operator I could get a copy but not the original as I didn't purchase the card. Calls went on for a week with them all ending in they needed more from me. Ultimately the money is lost, my boss can't get a refund and I can't get a new card and Vanilla has horrible, rude customer service.

I can't get my paycheck early. Everybody at my job got paid early besides me than making so I really need this time. I talk to customer services & let them know banks will be close February 20, 2017 for holiday. They tell me I won't get paid till Tuesday. I get paid on Monday. Full of bull.

I was given 2 gift cards for $500 each. I used one with no problem, went to use the other and was declined multiple times. Went online to check card balance and the website couldn't find the card, didn't exist. I called their customer service and they told me the same thing. It wasn't activated. In order to resolve this they asked for copy of card, receipt and photo ID (why would they need this since it's a cash card and they told me they have no way of tracking who bought it and where/when without receipt). Don't ever give personal information to this company, they don't need it.

I had to ask my boss's boss for receipt. The card # on the receipt didn't match the card I was given. I sent the info to Vanilla Visa and told them his company (well known big company) wanted to know where the $500 went. They responded with "your card has been activated". It was and I now have the funds. What a pain in the butt to work with this company. I would never in the future buy a card from them again.

I bought a Vanilla card and put $50 on it so my hotel I was checking into needed a card on file. The hotel told me they would release the money back on the card in 3-5 business days so I waited until the fifth business day and called the hotel they said they released the hold to call the card. I called she told me "if you use the card for hotel stays it takes 30 days to have your money released." I will never use one of these cards again and if I had known this I would have never used it in the first place. It took them five seconds to take my $50 and put it on the card but it's going to take 30 days to give it back, total and utter crap. Don't ever use one of these cards anybody. It's a joke.

Every time I ever get a Vanilla Gift Card there's always purchases made at stores I've never heard of, gone to, or even live near! It is always a gas station too!! AND I DON'T EVEN OWN A CAR!!!! It is ridiculous, I called today and told them what happened, they said that in 60 to 90 days I will get a brand new card. They also said that they would email me, THEY NEVER DID. It is handy to have but they honestly suck!!

I am very disappointed with this card. I received the rewards card from Time Warner. I was never told that fees would be taken out of the balance. When I looked up the balance and found the fees, I called. I spoke to nice lady who said that the back of my card says that a fee of $2.50 would be charged as of the 7th month of receipt. This is written so small on the back of the card that no one notices it. I couldn't even read the telephone number to call them to find the balance. Luckily, I could read vanillavisa.com. I then asked to speak to a supervisor when I noticed that I was charged in the 6th month or so I thought.

The supervisor, Devin, who tried to be courteous, told me that there was nothing he could do about reversing the fee, but agreed that it looked like a mistake. "Oh well", is basically what he said. I then asked for his supervisor and was told that a manager could call me. After we went around the issue for a few minutes, he suggested that he could get a supervisor to speak to me. I spoke to James, who is also a supervisor, but was extremely helpful and explained that reason I was charged $2.50 in month 6. The reason being that 2 days into month 7 is when I was charged. He also helped the situation and found a reasonable solution that I found satisfactory. However, I would not recommend buying and/or accepting these reward cards unless you spend the money on them asap. Otherwise, they charge you monthly.

My boss got me a vanilla card for purpose of direct depositing my paycheck. I registered the card via telephone customer service rep and was told the card was ready for use. I went to Wal-Mart and attempted to use the card for purchase and was denied. I aborted the transaction and called vanilla card service who reset my card and I selected new pin. Was told I'm good to go. I went through line at Wal-Mart and was denied again. Called customer service again and was told that the rep who helped me register card initially had deactivated my temporary card and activated the permanent card that will be mailed to me in 2 weeks. So, instead of activating my card in the spot while I'm in the store, I have to wait 24 hrs for them to activate the card. DO NOT GET VANILLA CARD!!!

We were given these cards by family for xmas present, they were bought in the UK. We cannot spend them here in Spain, or online. Have spent hours trying to find their website. I went to the website written on back of card, registered my name and birth date, would not accept my address. But tried putting it in, then had brain wave. I logged into Paypal account, added it to my payment cards and bingo, was able to use them to send money to my son. Paypal has accepted the payment from card so let's hope there will not be a message later of failed payment. Anyway for those out there who cannot get the cash go to your Paypal account and add the card. Good luck.

Vanilla Gift Card offers no consumer protection regardless of the trusted VISA logo. Purchased a Vanilla gift card so I could order an item on-line without using my credit card. I did not want to provide my personal account information with all the scammers out there getting a hold of information too easily. I thought the Vanilla gift card would be a safer option. The merchant happily took my money from the gift card and never sent the merchandise I ordered. No reply to the several attempts I made to inquire about the item not received that I paid for so I disputed the transaction through InComm or Vanilla gift cards for Non-Receipt of merchandise.

InComm couldn't care less - they offer no consumer protection and use the VISA Logo as a way to gain your trust and purchase their card. Deceitful business practices! They simply said "go to your local police - we can't help you". Obviously, the merchant who stole my money is aware that Vanilla gift cards do not stand behind their customers and ask for them as a preferred payment method. Two con-artists working together.

My brother purchased a $100 Vanilla prepaid MasterCard for me for Xmas. I went to use it. Naturally it did not work. Called Customer Service. They said it had not been activated. Need the receipt. The receipt had a different card number on it than the card in the package had on it. So there's pretty much no way to recover the lost monies. MasterCard just gets to default and keep the $.

I recommend you gift cash over credit cards as they're unreliable and nearly impossible to reconcile. It's a giant waste of time and money. I mean an activation fee is added on when it never was activated so after $110 you get nothing in return except a headache and empty wallet plus the embarrassment of going to purchase something and being declined and then having to spend my own money on the supposed to be gift.

Absolutely unacceptable business practice. It is crooked and basically thievery and fraud on their part and they're allowed to continue, it's disgusting truly. I hope one day they are held accountable for the money they have received with no product given in return, or at least not a working product, just a useless piece of plastic. Please do not ever buy one. Gift money instead as it cannot be frauded away from you and is accepted everywhere. Good luck. Hopefully this does not happen to you!!

I received a Vanilla gift card over the holidays from a friend. She sent it to me via US Postal service. I opened the packing on the gift card and called the number to check how much I had on the card. To my dismay, I was told that the card had been purchased for $200 but, the whole amount had already been used by a Sam's Club member in Riverside, CA at around 12:00 midnight. I assume this would have been an online purchase.

The representative whom I spoke to even said that it looks like an inside job since, I had not even received the card but it had already been used!! I filled out all the paperwork they needed to start investigating and e-mailed it to them on Jan. 4th. I called them on Jan. 17th to check the status and was told that they had sent me an e-mail on the 16th requesting the receipt of purchase which I don't have since it was a gift and I did not get it from my friend. I'm not sure why the company did not request it when I 1st called on Jan. 4th. After reading all these other bad reviews, not sure how is company is still in business - they are an absolute fraud. I requested a copy of e-mail they claimed to have sent to me requesting receipt and still not received it.

Had a refund of 208.36 put on to my gift card. Vanilla Visa won't release the funds, even after my complying with their policy of providing proof of purchase, then proof of refund. Ask for a supervisor, and you'll just get another person that you can barely understand reading the same rehearsed lines as the first. The "bank" that supports Vanilla Visa is a scheme, and they are thieves. NEVER USE VANILLA VISA - I'm going to make sure of it in the future, and I am telling every family member and friend exactly how Vanilla Visa TOOK WHAT IS *MY* MONEY and won't give it back. As another person suggested, I, too, am going to go to the States attorney office and file a complaint.

I had to load a bunch of personal information just to "register" the card then I activated the card and I still can't use it. I have called the company, I have tried different stores etc. and everywhere I go the card is denied but I have money on the card. I have been fighting with this card for a month and I still can't buy anything with it. SO MAD!!!

Vanilla Prepaid Cards Company Profile