3.3/5 (763 ratings)

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

Vanilla Prepaid Cards Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanilla Prepaid Cards?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanilla Prepaid Cards?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2022

I bought a Vanilla gift card to make a few online purchases. Activation said wait 1 hour to use. I did so, and after first purchase, the card got hit for $199.99 by Paris Promo group LLC. 2 minutes after card was Activated.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2022

I got a gift card from my work for 500$. Spent 230 dollars. Went to the store to use the rest and my card says declined. I only used it once and can not get no one on the phone .. The customer service sucks. It throws out numbers to you that don't match your card.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2022

My 15-year-old daughter received a $125 Vanilla Visa gift card in May 2021, from my parents. The expiration date on the card is 8/28. The card was not used until today, 9/17/2022. She tried to use it today and it was declined at the store. She called the number on the card, and she was told a purchase was made on the card 9/7/2021 for $125 on Amazon. We did not make any purchases on it, as it sat in a drawer until now. My wife and I will gladly share our Amazon purchase history for the month of September to show we did not use the card. The individual my daughter spoke to at 1-800-571-1376 the listed contact number for Vanilla Visa Gift Card issues said she does not deal with disputes, read the card agreement, that is all that I can do for you. This isn't a dispute, a common criminal, called a thief, secured the numbers off of the card and used it before we did.

Vanilla Visa needs to post a statement "Use your gift card as soon as you get it, we cannot guarantee the security of the card at all, criminals may already have the number and will use it before you do." Someone obviously secured the cards numbers and used the card before we did. Thank you, Vanilla Visa for standing behind your products. I have already spread the word to my family, friends and neighbors, on different chat boards, that Vanilla Visa doesn't care about the customer. Your agreement is garbage! The money was never there for my 15-year-old daughter to use.

I am glad that you are here to support the criminals who didn't work for a dime of the money they stole from our family. Keep up the good work, I will continue to let people know that you don't care about the consumer or their rights. If it costs you more money maybe, you need to figure out a way to make the cards more secure so they can actually be used by the people they are intended for.

So much for saving something for a rainy day. We try to teach our children to not spend everything as soon as you get it. When I told my parents they were quite upset. My mom is 80 and my dad is 76, they are on a fixed income and cannot just send another $125 gift card. We paid for what we wanted without using the new gift card that already has a zero balance on it. This is posted on Next Door and elsewhere on the web. Come Monday morning I will post this with the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

The store I bought the card from did not activate card. Sent the documentation they requested but they wouldn't admit to receiving my email. They told me to wait 24 to 48hrs for a response but no call. I called them 48hrs later and they STILL denied receiving the documents even though I spelled their email letter by letter and they verified it a handful of times. 12 days later no resolution. I will advise anyone looking to a get a gift card to look somewhere else. These people won't help you if something goes wrong. They probably figure since is a small sum of money it wouldn't potentially be taken to court so they do NOT CARE. BUYER BEWARE!!!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2022

My card information was phished by a third party site that I was redirected to after clicking the wrong link that was presented by a Google Search, I thought I was checking my balance from the vanillagift.com website and didn't notice until after I had entered my card details that I was on a site http://mybalancenow.com - Soon after I entered my card details the available funds were used up in a fraudulent transaction, I called the Vanilla Gift card customer support and they were unable to stop payment on the transaction even though the payment had yet to post. The transaction was pending and even though I had provided all the card details, and insisted that the last transaction was fraudulent, Vanilla Gift would not cancel it. The only recourse you have for a fraudulent transaction is to wait until the transaction posts and then to file a dispute through Vanilla Gift, which I'm told can take 45 to 90 days. If your card details or phished or compromised this is the only way that it is possible to recoup your funds.

The issue is that the card was used a handful of times prior to the fraudulent transaction, and every time it was used a zip code and address was required. Well, you'd think that Vanilla Gift would notice that the zip code and the address submitted in the fraudulent transaction was distinctly different from the zip code and the address used for the previous transactions and cancel the pending transaction before it posted but no, the company insists that the fraudulent transaction posts, and that the only way to them recoup your funds is through the dispute process. In that way, Vanilla Gift customer service and the fraud prevention system is a liability.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2022

My employer gave me a $500 Vanilla gift card as Christmas gift. I filed a claim on 3/16/2022 for unauthorized use of my card and received confirmation of refund on 6/17/2022. They said I should receive my card in 7-10 business days. But I never received the replacement card, after numerous calling the customer service. Every time customer service says they either send a “follow-up” request or send a replacement card and I should receive in 7-10 business days. It’s been three months since the initial replacement card sent. I don’t think they took any action. They were waiting for me to give up. I would have given up if the money were smaller amount. Horrible experience.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2022

I would give this 0 stars. I bought a gift card at CVS with $55 on it and paid an addition $5.95 to activate. Upon using it the same day there’s a problem. Customer service a joke, will send new card since it got stolen 5 minutes after buying it. I expressed my discontent and the woman hung up after not getting any of my information correct since English clearly isn’t her first language. My card better come, that’s all I am saying or else. Will never buy or use a card from here again. AWFUL!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2022

I had $200 dollars given as a gift and I purchased a few things in a retail store. Needed to return and since the return was over $200 they deactivated my card. They stole $400 on top of the $200 so total $600 dollars is gone. I don’t understand why this company is legally existing. Do not buy Vanilla gift card. I’ve told everyone since don’t give this card as a gift to me. Huge lawsuit waiting to happen to them.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2022

I received 3 Vanilla Visa gift cards. Each card had $100.00 credit. I called the visa gift card company before heading out to the store where I would be using them to confirm the dollar amount. The card company confirmed the amount & informed me that the cards were ready for use. When I tried using them at the store, they were declined, I had to try over & over & over again to get 2 to go through, the 3rd one was impossible to use.

When I called the company they gave me all kind of excuses from you can’t use more than one card at a time, to having to wait for 2 weeks so the store could be credited, which I didn’t understand since I wasn’t using a credit card but a gift card. They also told me to create a PIN number to complete the transaction, which I did, but it didn’t work. They told me to go to their website to deactivate the PIN number and create a new one but that process was not available on their website. I finally gave up & paid the remaining amount out of pocket. This is not my first time using a gift card, never had I had this awful experience. I would not recommend using this card service at all unless you don’t mind throwing you money down the drain. Worst ever.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2022

I've had a lot of vanilla gift cards I purchased to shop with. Not once did I get my money out of it. Money is missing all the time. I thought it was just a glitch but if so it happened on every card. Blaming it on hackers may be convenient. If it's happening to lots of people (seems so with the reviews here).... I'm just saying..if it quacks like a duck..

Vanilla Prepaid Cards author review by Kathryn Parkman

Vanilla Prepaid Cards are simple prepaid cards you can use anywhere Mastercard or Visa is accepted. They are available at many retail stores.

• Cards available: Vanilla Gift and OneVanilla are prepaid cards without ATM access. With OneVanilla, you can add money to your prepaid card and funds never expire. MyVanilla is a reloadable prepaid debit card.

• Pricing and fees: There’s no monthly fee for MyVanilla reloadable prepaid cards. Cardholders are responsible for a $0.95 signature purchase transaction fee. ATM cash withdrawal fee is $1.95. A $3.95 dormancy fee is charged if your account is inactive for 90 days or more.

• Reload options: MyVanilla cardholders can direct deposit payroll, government benefits or tax return funds for free. Use VanillaDirect to add funds to the card or pay bills. Service fees apply to reload at stores.

• Mobile app: Get account alerts, track activity and check your balance through the MyVanilla mobile app.

by Kathryn Parkman ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs Research Team, Kathryn Parkman believes everyone deserves easy access to accurate and comprehensive information on products and businesses before they make a purchase, which is why she spends hours researching companies and industries for ConsumerAffairs. She believes conscious consumption is everyone's responsibility and that all content deserves integrity.

Vanilla Prepaid Cards Company Information