2. Finance
  3. Prepaid Cards

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.04/5

Looking for a prepaid debit card?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Vanilla Prepaid Cards Reviews

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

Well I stop to add gas to my ride. Go to pre pay for my gas. Waaahhh laaaa no money. I'm like, "What?" "Yes sir. It said declined." I go check my account and someone ** or something took money off my account through PayPal and it's gonna have to be disputed and take up to 45 days. Unless something is done about this I'll never own another Vanilla anything.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

The company is a fraud. My husband gifted me a $200.00. I spent $100 went to make another purchased the money was gone only 17cents left, call customers service. I was told they need to open a dispute, how many more people needs to get robbed before this stops? Is a scam.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2020

I wish I would have seen these reviews before I was gifted a $100 gift card. Yesterday 2/14/2020 was my birthday, my mother bought me this card. This morning, 2/15/2020 I went online to purchase some clothing and my card was declined so I went to Vanilla Gift's website and checked my balance and I had $1.06!! Talk about furious, there were transactions made to PayPal and a $70 transaction to Texas gas service! I called customer service and gave them all my personal information and still have not received an email from them. I'm going to email them and call back as well but from the looks of these other reviews I might not get a refund. What a scam! Do not purchase this gift card for you or loved ones!!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

I purchased a Vanilla prepaid credit card worth $25 on 2-8-20. I went to use the following day 2-9-20 and kept telling me declined. As I looked up online it showed my money was taken from a pay pal account with the name Alan **!!! I called the number and talked to someone telling them it was hacked and I want money back. She told me they send me papers in mail. I’m to send back and once they receive it will take 10 days for a return call back with update. Anyone else have this problem and can point me in different direction to get my money back! Yes it was only $25 but this Alan guy didn’t pay for it and needs to be arrested!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2020

"NO FEES APPLY" = "A $4.95 ACTIVATION FEE WILL APPLY". OK so now I need to ask them what their definition of the phrase "NO FEES APPLY" ACTUALLY means. Because you flip this card over, and it says in bold print black and white "A FEE APPLIES". STOP LYING.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanilla Prepaid Cards?

Original review: Feb. 8, 2020

By accident a Days Inn Hotel customer service rep credited a $100 charge to my $75 gift card. Now it no longer works. When calling customer service at Vanilla they say the card has been deactivated. (Because you're not supposed to add any credit to card.) Days Inn tried to reverse the charge but couldn't. Now I'm out $175. They are the most terrible customer service in trying to resolve this. Don't ever use them.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

My husband has had the Myvanilla card for 2 years now with no problems and now today we can't log in to the account. Called them and they said the card is no longer active. I told them we had a deposit of $1200 and need my money today. They said, "Well the account will not be reopened" so we lost his whole paycheck. I have contacted the BBB and informed them. If I have to I will get a lawyer. They said they sent it to someone in the back and when I asked to be transfered to them they said, "Oh we can't transfer back there. Internal email only." This is by far the worst experience ever.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

Purchased a Vanilla Prepaid gift card through Walmart. I kept trying to register card but both on phone and internet for Vanilla Prepaid cards, Vanilla said "Card Number is NOT VALID". Waited over 24 hours and it still was an "invalid number". I went back up to Walmart complaining, where I was told, "There are no store refunds for these cards" Walmart did call Vanilla and were told the same thing even though employee said "I am looking at the receipt and it says it was activated." Vanilla said, "They would have to open a case and I would have to provide all my personal information and mail them the receipt." I think NOT. This is basically bank fraud as far as I am concerned by Vanilla when the store who sold the card cannot even assist with Vanilla Prepaid card "Invalid card" responses. Kudos to Walmart manager. I received a refund for amount MINUS THE VANILLA GIFT CARD FEE OF $4.94. So, vanilla gift card gets to keep the money....

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

We were given a $50 Vanilla Prepaid card for Christmas, it had $50 on it, our bill came out to $48, the card automatically charged a 20% fee of $8.60 allowing us to only put $40 toward our bill on it and leaving us a .40 balance! Shame on this company. So so so irritated right now. Will be assuring all my friends and family about this so they do not ever buy this gift card, EVER!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

There are hidden service charges. My card came without instruction, so finding out how to use it required persistent and careful research of their website. The last $18.39 of my $100 gift card is inaccessible. Customer services was useless - couldn't find my card number, gave me misinformation about the rules of use, wouldn't transfer my call to a supervisor despite my requests. So, basically, Vanilla Gift Card stole 18% from the purchaser of my card.

Not sure about Vanilla Prepaid Cards?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Prepaid Debit Cards for you.

Vanilla Prepaid Cards expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Vanilla Prepaid Cards are simple prepaid cards you can use anywhere Mastercard or Visa is accepted. They are available at many retail stores.

• Cards available: Vanilla Gift and OneVanilla are prepaid cards without ATM access. With OneVanilla, you can add money to your prepaid card and funds never expire. MyVanilla is a reloadable prepaid debit card.

• Pricing and fees: There’s no monthly fee for MyVanilla reloadable prepaid cards. Cardholders are responsible for a $0.95 signature purchase transaction fee. ATM cash withdrawal fee is $1.95. A $3.95 dormancy fee is charged if your account is inactive for 90 days or more.

• Reload options: MyVanilla cardholders can direct deposit payroll, government benefits or tax return funds for free. Use VanillaDirect to add funds to the card or pay bills. Service fees apply to reload at stores.

• Mobile app: Get account alerts, track activity and check your balance through the MyVanilla mobile app.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor