1.11/5
Based on 80 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

564 Vanilla Prepaid Cards Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

SCAMMERS. I got a call yesterday from "Publishers Clearing House". He said, that I had won 5 Million dollars and a brand new Mercedes Benz. I asked him, "Was this a scam," and he said, "NO Mam...You are a Big Winner, and we will fly to your city and present you with a certified check for $5 Million and a new car tomorrow at 11.30, and the tv station will be there also unless you prefer it to be private." Then I asked him, "What's the catch?" He said, "No catch... but you have to go to Walmart or CVS and buy a "One Vanilla" card and put $150 on it, and call me back to confirm that you have it, and then we will make arrangements to fly to your city tomorrow to present you with your grand prize." Well, I googled "One Vanilla Card" and read the reviews, and all of them were bad. People said how it is a scam... and DO NOT Buy a One Vanilla gift card!

I called the Attorney General's Office and the lady called me back today and I gave her the phone numbers they had called from as well as the number I was supposed to have called, once I bought the gift card with $150 on it, and she checked and said it was a Jamaica Number, and a SCAM. I asked if I could prosecute them, and because they are out of the country she said No. But to warn my friends not to fall for these scams. One Vanilla Cards, also are scams, so please don't buy them, as you will lose your money. The things people do to steal... amazes me. But I am not gonna fall for something like this. Publishers Clearing House (The Real One) does not ask you to do anything if you are a chosen winner. So please be careful.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I got a $500 card as a birthday gift. I use it a couple time without a problem but the third time it kept getting declined. The balance on the card was just a few dollars less than the total of the purchase so I was thinking I would apply it towards my purchase and pay the rest with another card. Not possible. It just kept getting declined. I even called the merchant and they tried to run the card on their end but it was declined by the bank (Vanilla Visa). So, unless the card's balance is same or higher than the purchase total you can't use the card. Or you have to ask a merchant to split the amount and charge exact balance amount first and then pay the rest with cash or other card. No online retailer offers that option. Not very convenient. I wonder how many people just get frustrated and leave the few bucks on the card unspent. It's a great deal for the bank as it all adds up I'm sure.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Debit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

Received $25.00 Visa debit card as a gift. Unable to use. Called Vanilla - company that issues gift card who reports they are unable to activate the card without a receipt. They report they are unable to refund the gift giver without a receipt. So - no instructions on card to gift buyer reporting need for receipt. No receipt. No money. Sounds like a wonderful investment by Vanilla to immorally gain money.

Original review: July 28, 2018

After providing information to register and check my balance online, I have been receiving non-stop emails for credit offers from random companies. I can only assume that this company misused my information. I also had a problem when I tried to replace a card with a remaining balance and was told I needed to provide the receipt from the person who purchased the gift card. Do not do business with this company.

Original review: July 24, 2018

The Vanilla gift card customer service supervisor is the worst... I lost a $25 dollar card. I called the 1800-571-1376 number and was given an email address ** and was told to forward the original receipt along with proof of address. I sent the email June 16.2018 attached with the original receipt and my ConEd bill. On July 23rd 2018 I received the replacement card. When I tried to activate the card I was ask for my DOB year. I told CS I was never ask nor told to give my year of birth. When I did give them my year of birth it didn’t match what they had on file.

Customer service then informed me that the person I've spoken with them 1st time no longer works for the company and that she entered whatever year of birth or my behalf. She apologized for the prior CS not answering me the question the 1st time. Vanilla gift card tells me this and then they doesnt activate my card. Now they want me to sent a copy of my driver license. I refused to send a copy of my drivers licenses. I don’t need someone from that company working out of a foreign country to steal my Identity. This company is a scam. Could you image all the other people this is happening to. I will never buy a card again. BEWARE. THIS COMPANY IS A SCAMMING.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanilla Prepaid Cards?

Original review: July 18, 2018

Vanilla Gift Card (Incomm) located at (corporate office) 250 Williams St NW Fl 5 Atlanta, GA 30303-1032 phone number 770-240-6100 Brooks Smith-CEO, Phil Graves-Pres., but they will tell you that their address is P.O. Box 826 Forston, GA 31808. Vanilla Gift Card allowed a charge of $10 and $1 to process on a gift card that I personally purchased and when it was brought to their attention Incomm out of Atlanta REFUSED to refund my money. I have filed complaints with Better Business Bureau, Federal Trade Commission, and many other sites. PLEASE do not fall victim to the FRAUD/SCAM company and IF you do NOT buy any of their products you will be helping to put this company out of business.

Original review: July 15, 2018

Wow this card is **! Had no idea had to register and bunch of BS! Tried using card for bf acct and it kept declining sooo finally called CS. They told me since I tried to purchase more than I had on there it made it so I needed authorized action and now I can't even use my card till 17. 2 more ** days! My bf stuck in jail with no commissary. No nothing! This card's a BIG ** SHOW!!! Don't recommend to NOBODY!!!

Original review: July 11, 2018

I would like to provide you guys a review: you have to be the worst customer service company I have ever encountered! My mother gifted me a card worth 100$ and somehow it wasn’t activated at the point of sale... how would she know?!? Now I am trying to use it and your customer service team has asked me to ask my mother to go back to get the receipt. This doesn’t make any sense! I have used many gift cards and yours has to be the worst. We just lost 100$ cause your process is broken and your customer service is completely incompetent! You are the worst company - you really should be shut down by consumer protection agencies. You are cheating customers!

Original review: July 3, 2018

I am leaving this review because dealing with this company has been the worst experience of my life. I bought two prepaid cards for online bill pay. One loaded with $200 and the other with $500. 00. I purchased them on 06/30/18 at a Dollar General. Literally the very next day before I was even able to use the larger of the two there was a $500.00 deduction from my account. I hadn't done any transactions with it. I called in shock and not knowing how it could have happened. I called and spoke with two reps and a supervisor. I explained how the only interaction I have had with this card was when I had to activate it.

I spoke with one of their reps over the phone and she informed me that the card was activated, registered, and could be used now but not in the UK. How it could be anyone else except for the rep I spoke with is beyond me. The supervisor explained I would have to file a dispute that could take up to 90 days! That is insane for a card I never even got to use! This is the worst experience of my life. They never even notified me of such large transaction before allowing it to proceed. I will never do business with this company ever again!

Original review: June 25, 2018

I bought a 50 dollar prepaid card for my daughter as a surprise for babysitting, I have called customer service 3 times in 2 days trying to get the card to work & nothing... Instead they freeze my card & now I'm out 50 bucks & my daughter has no money now.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Was sent a Vanilla Visa Debit gift card for $200. After using it for two purchases totalling around $75 at Kroger gas and supermarket, I tried to use it to buy a sandwich the next day and was told my card had insufficient funds. The sandwich was less than $6. So I went online to vanillagift.com, logged into with my card info and found out that the remaining $120 had been charged online to SQ *TECH EXCHANGE at 1:30 in the morning, while I was sleeping. My story ends the way that everyone else is. I don't know how they get manage to keep selling cards but I will never see that money again. According to their site, you have to assign a ZIP code to via your account before you can shop online, which I did not do before the purchase was illegally made. Go figure. If you are unfortunate enough to be the recipient of one of these, I advise you to use it at a brick and mortar store and use the entire amount in one day before they can take it from you.

Original review: May 29, 2018

DO NOT BUY THIS CARD. THIS COMPANY IS A SCAM! My son received this card as a birthday gift from a friend. It was intended as a gift card but unless he registers it with very personal information i.e. DOB, SSN he cannot use it. I called and spoke to a customer service rep who said we needed to know the purchase balance. Since the card was a gift, we had to ask the person who gave my son the card. He said $20. I called again and was told that was the incorrect amount and there was nothing he could do for me. I asked to speak to a supervisor.

Again, that was a waste of time since she wouldn't do anything for me unless I knew the purchase balance. She suggested I contact the person who gave my son the card and ask them what the correct purchase amount was, again. REALLY! How embarrassing would that be to ask someone twice how much they spent on a gift. After reading all of the online reviews, I could not find a single good one. People buy these cards as gifts and the recipients are unable to use them. This is a total scam and people should be aware.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I purchased this card on 5/1/2018, it is now 5/25/2018 and we still have not been able to use this card. They have given me so many runarounds and I am over it. Their customer service sucks and give you no real RESOLUTIONS to the problems you are having.

Original review: May 24, 2018

This has to be the absolute worse excuse for a gift card ever. They have a rule that if you use the card anywhere that there might be a tip or an additional charge like a hotel, they only let you use up to 80% of the value initially. There is a waiting period, not sure exactly how long I've been told so many stories, before they release the rest of the money. Absolutely stupid rules. If you have a $50 gift card you should be able to use $50, no matter where you use it. It should not give you any more than $50 credit, period. I would not recommend these gift cards to anyone, they are really terrible.

Original review: May 16, 2018

It takes about 7 minutes to get through the automated attendant to speak with a person. I called to ask how I can protect this card because I was planning to mail it, and I had previously had cards in the mail stolen. It took a total of 29 minutes to get a person who told me how to put the card on hold or 'deactivate' and then I gave her a password that would allow the person who was receiving the card the ability to reactivate it. This was a gift for a customer. The last thing I want is to put them out by wasting their time. The spent time trying to get it activated.

I then called, and it took 31 minutes to get the card 'activated'. However, the second Customer Service Rep I spoke with claimed that they don't do activation, reactivation, passwords, etc. She told me someone else must have told me this wrong information (like a merchant). Well, I didn't dream this up, but she continue as though I had. I lost count, but think I was put on hold about 6-8 times. P.S. This is the first review I've ever done. Obviously, I'm not the first to have a bad experience with this co.

Original review: May 8, 2018

Was charged for items I didn't need at a Wal-Mart and asked for 110 dollar refund. Told it takes 10+ business days for the refund and customer service atrocious after reaching. Also card does not state it's no good for most purchases and not able to be used for international purchases... TOTAL SCAM and they will get your money and you cannot under any circumstances get a refund no matter how badly you want it. AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I purchased this card with $150 value to be able to shop online, and NOT give out my real credit card number. Well, I found about 75% of online merchants will not accept this card. The reason they give, after talking to their customer service departments, is "our payment processing gateway is not accepting this card!" The sheer number of such rejections leads me to believe this whole bunch of cards by Vanilla is flagged or auto-rejected in some way. The brick and mortar merchants: about half of them accept it and rest don't. If I can't shop online, this has no value for me. Do NOT buy this card.

Original review: April 22, 2018

I loaded a OneVanilla Mastercard at Walmart to purchase a drone on Amazon. The first transaction went through for 295.00 however I returned the purchase due to a defect. Amazon quickly refunded my $. A couple day later I attempted to use the card for $5 and the card was rejected. I immediately checked my balance and saw a pending transaction for $225.00 (that was close to the amount left on card which was less than $230.00). That was on Sunday 2/18/2018.

On 02/19/2018 I contacted a company representative and was sent a card dispute form via my email on 02/20/2018. I did everything by the numbers, made copies of the form for my records and a fax confirmation sheet. They tell you to wait 10 to 14 days before contacting them. Today is 04/22/2018 and I do not have a clue what the status of my complaint is. That's $225.00 I could have done something with. I never got the drone I wanted (my Christmas present from the wife). When I started looking I found out I am not alone when it comes to being ripped off and getting no help from this outfit.

Original review: April 21, 2018

We put $150 on this prepaid card through Dollar General yesterday. Her daughter went on a trip. She took it with her for food, tried to use it for dinner and it was rejected. So we get online to check the balance and it was at zero because there was a pending transaction through Amazon for $150. We then proceeded to call the company Vanilla Visa credit card company spoke to 3 different people all on different levels and they were unable to help us with the situation. They said we have to wait 45 days to get this resolved and they couldn't stop the pending transaction. So then I asked him if we could fill out a dispute form and he said. "No. Not until the transaction goes through."

How does this make sense if the products are not paid for on Amazon and they don't get it? So why let people get something when it's not their money. Needless to say none people that we talk to or any help they have none of our information. They're not even planning on doing anything for the situation. We have to call them back in a couple of days once that transaction goes through. I will never ever use this prepaid credit card company again and I'll be very cautious of Visa for them backing this company when they really have horrible procedures (or none at all) in an emergency situation. I will be filling out multiple reviews so that anybody who's looking for prepaid cards might have this information prior to. It was a big problem and solves not been resolved.

Original review: April 11, 2018

Got the Prepaid Debit Card for the very first time and had my whole payroll check direct deposited! I got a deposit on Monday, tried to use the card on Tuesday and did not work. I called customer service and found out that they put a Restriction on my card. I would have NEVER even know if I had not called in to customer service. They said I needed to send in identity verification and don't you think that I somehow should have been notified of that information. I emailed the requested information to email address they provided and did receive an automated email response that the information was received!

Called back today and they act like they have no idea what I am talking about, and that they did not receive the information and would have to resend it! I AM TOTALLY BEYOND PISSED!!! I submitted drafts for mortgage and car payments that now probably did not even go through because I did not know card was restricted, and cannot even buy groceries for my kids when my account shows over $3000 from my Payroll was deposited!!! WHO CAN WE CALL TO REPORT THEM, THE GEORGIA CONGRESSMAN, BBB???

Original review: April 6, 2018

My husband and I received a $100 Vanilla gift card for Christmas in 2014. Reading the back of the card there is no indication that they will take out a certain sum each month. We assumed there was no rush to use it. The expiration is 06/22. Tried using it today to discover that only $32 is left on it simply because they kept taking monthly fees out. This is ridiculous and outrageous! My poor mother in law thought she was being kind by giving us this card instead she was ripped off. Why is this even legal?

Original review: March 25, 2018

This company is awful!! Customer service reps DO NOT understand English. Put a freeze on my account because I was aggravated and hung up. So now they have my utility bill money and won’t unfreeze my account and want personal verification after I’ve been a consumer for 2 years and spent thousands of dollars. So come tomorrow morning my utilities will be shut off and I can’t do anything about it.

Original review: March 22, 2018

PLEASE SHARE THIS, everyone should know so they can protect themselves from the VISA prepaid card scam! We had bought two Visa prepaid cards to use online and BOTH turned out to be frauds. Somehow (don't ask me how) these scammers switch out the real card for one that looks real and when YOU buy it, bang they have a card worth money and you are left with headaches and frustration. They can go to the website and check if the card is active, they don't have to sign up or anything just put in the numbers and they will see its active and that's when they use it. Thankfully the amazing staff at Shoppers could help us and we did not lose money but what a week long runaround nightmare (not Shoppers’ fault, they were great). The prepaid visa people you call through the 1 800 number on the card were absolutely USELESS and I would have been out the money if not for the Shoppers Drug Mart staff.

The cards are not even owned by Visa, it's a third-party vendor. So don't think you are doing business with Visa, you're not. Here is my story: My wife bought a $150 dollar Visa prepaid card at the Blackburn location March 16th so we could shop online as I need a new video card for my TV. I work long hours and as a result the card sat on my desk until I could get to placing the order online. Saturday March 17th rolled around and when I tried to use the card it turned out not to be activated. The company asked me to send them a picture of the front, back and receipt for the card and they will activate it within 3 business days. I still had some other online shopping to do so I decided we would get a new card in the meantime valued at 200 so I could both register my son for Algonquin online and buy my TV video card. We were already at St-Laurent Shopping Center so we went to that Shoppers Drug Mart.

When I got home there seemed to be an issue with the card and after calling the toll free number I was told to return to the store. As I am sure you can well imagine I was very frustrated and slightly enraged at this point and went right back to the store. People buy these things for convenience and this was anything but convenient. When I arrived at the store I spoke with the manager. She looked at the card and said she thinks it’s a fraud card. She explained that they have had trouble in the past and will do her best to help me and my wife. After about 40 minutes of her being on the phone in a back room she returned to us with a new $200 card that was activated etc. I have not had any trouble with that card and have since used it to register my son at college. On Tuesday I had still not received a reply about the $150 dollar card we had bought in Blackburn so I called the 1 800 number again and big surprise, I had to go to the store.

Upon arriving at the store on Wed. March 21, I was taken care of by that manager. After we both received the “runaround, please hold” game for over an hour, he was kind enough to give me my $150 back in cash and said that he will be taking this matter to the fraud dept as there is discrepancies in the numbers and that this may be a fraud issue (just my luck at this point). I would like to say a HUGE thank you to the Shoppers Drug Mart staff because they truly showed me that the customer matters at Shoppers Drug Mart and customer care is #1.

Bravo to these two individuals that took horrible situations and through their considerable efforts resolved the issues to my satisfaction. They have assured my families continued patronage. I would like to take a moment and say that I will NEVER EVER EVER EVER buy one of those cards again as long as I live and they WILL be receiving scathing reviews everywhere I can post them and across social media with my story. Thank you for taking the time to read this. Now hit share and save someone else a HUGE headache.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I got a Reloadable Vanilla debit MasterCard card at my dollar store. I looked at it and it says nowhere that I had to be to buy it or anything. So I put the $120 without anything wrong. The cashier did not say anything about it either. She did not say anything about being 18 to buy it or use it. So I go online to register it and it says my birthday and I place it in. Then under it it said that I needed my Social Security. Now I’m thinking something off. And then it says you got to be 18. Now they locked my card with my 120$. Not theirs. Mine.

And now I got to go through a whole lot of garbage because my brother trying to help me also made it more harder. Now I have to get my brother who works mornings to get here and help figure it out. (DO NOT BUY THIS CARD.) It’s a scam for them to take underage people's money. Never buying from MyVanilla again. Get a card from your bank if you want a card. Because these people are (SCAMMERS)! I’m very disappointed and displeased because these people gave me and will give you lots of trouble with one card.

Original review: March 17, 2018

I bought one of these cards to pay bills with. It took about two weeks for the permanent card to come in the mail. When I try to log in to their website, it tells me I have the wrong password, which is ridiculous. I gave my password twice when speaking with a rep to activate my temporary card. I read the fees not listed on the package before I purchased the card. Who knew there would be a fee of 50 cents each time you use it, and a dormancy fee if you don't use it for 90 days! It also stated it was free to do a balance inquiry online to keep the dormancy fee from applying to your account. Well I can't log in to my online account because it says my password is incorrect! Hmmm... seems shady to me. I will not be using this card and will try to cancel it... I think I will have a hard time about it however. Green Dot Money Card is awesome! DONT BUY THIS CARD!!!

Original review: March 13, 2018

Someone give me a $50 dollars card, same day was activated there were two transactions for 25 dollars, I didn't, they told me to start a process by around 6 month, don't spend your money in this kind of cards. Somebody wants to give "you!" Not a big company, some presents, so better cash. Good luck and tell all your friends don't buy Vanilla gift card.

Original review: March 12, 2018

My son bought me a £25 gift card last year. It has an expiry date of 2021, I therefore didn’t think that there was any rush to spend it. He bought me another one this year for £25. Now, there is an upfront fee of £2.95, which we thought was OK for the service and as I now had two of these cards, I thought I would spend them. I had two purchases in excess of £18, so I put them on the two separate cards. Last year’s card was refused. I checked their website and found that they take your money, £2 a month, if you have not spent it after the first seven months. Apparently I had £15 left on this card. I therefore ask, how can it possibly have an expiry date of 2021, this is an absolute lie, as it would notionally expire this year!

Original review: March 11, 2018

My Vanilla is one of the worst prepaid visa card I ever had. I had a credit come back to my card from another card for $109. And they stopped letting me use my card until I faxed them a copy of the reset and I sent it to them 3 times. They cost me problems because I had auto bill pay and they declined my card. They say they are protecting me but I felt like they are the ones trying to steal from me. I went with this card because Rachael Ray promotes it but it is the worst card I ever used. Going back to Green Dot. It the best prepaid card!!!

Original review: March 2, 2018

Got cards as a gift. Exp date 2020. Had balances on both cards. Went to use them and Vanilla Visa charged me $2.50 a month until depleted. Wow thank you Vanilla for taking my money! Wish I had saw all the bad reviews. Dont buy it!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

Bought this card for my daughter and put $400 on it. It’s a prepaid card and in order to register it and use it we had to give all our personal information to them. Then was told that if we didn’t disclose all our information that the card wouldn’t be able to be used. And when I told them I would rather go get a refund and buy a different card I was told that I wouldn’t be allowed to. That I would have to wait on the company itself to send me a refund check in 7-10 days. Are you even serious?! This card is a total ripoff and customer service is no help at all. DO NOT BUY THIS CARD!!! This is a complete scam! I’m wishing there was a zero stars so I can pick that one!!!

Not sure about Vanilla Prepaid Cards?
Take our two minute quiz to find the right Prepaid Debit Cards for you.

Vanilla Prepaid Cards Company Information

www.vanillaprepaid.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business