Vanilla Prepaid Cards

Compare Prepaid Debit Cards

Research top Prepaid Debit Cards recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I received a card as a gift but apparently it was lost in the mail. I finally received the $100 gift card only to find out $80 of the value had been taken back by the company as fees. That is ridiculous, as they basically scammed the person out of $100. Customer service was unhelpful and rude.

I purchased this card from a local Walgreens but once I went to use it, it was declined. I went online to check the balance and there was an issue with the card and I called the 800 number listed on the back. I was told that the card was saying that it wasn't activated and in order for them to fix the issue they needed some paperwork from me. I emailed a copy of my receipt and the card and they told me the problem would be fixed within 3 days. The fund's on the card the very next day. I believe the issue occurred during the validation at Walgreens.

My daughter who is underage wanted to buy a car; first time. She found a car on Craigslist. The ad stated it wanted her to contact them via email. Following these people making contact with her via email they stated that they would send her a link from Amazon to make the payment which she said seemed legitimate. Then they would ship the car to her. She then made the payment and contacted me following that payment for reasons she suspected fraud because the merchant contacted her a second time to ask her to pay another fee having to do with some sort of insurance for the car to be shipped. This amount was equal or greater than the amount of the car. I immediately called this card company to try to make a stop payment. The same hour in fact.

The operator kept saying "I offered the card as a gift" as if the key word here was (Gift). Prior to making my claim of stop payment to a fraudulent company that claiming to be a reputable company of Amazon. The operator stated that the funds would take a week for the company to obtain it. She also said to me that she did not have the power to stop the payment even if I were the card holder. What??? It's sitting there for a whole week like a sitting duck??? (But would have to make a complaints after the so called merchant receive their payment.) Well! I went through their process, of submitting my documents of proof to the claim dept. I waited the 60 days like they said I would have to; In fact it has been 5 months and I haven't heard a thing from them but that they have received my complaint... I AM PISSED.

I've got a Visa gift card as present. However, it takes the maintenance fee 2 pounds per month after 7 months from purchase and transaction fee is very expensive. At the end, I lost more than 10 pounds for nothing. I won't recommend anyone to buy this card, because it is very disappointing and stressful although it meant a present.

My mother bought 6 of these for our Christmas presents. I had to call in to get them registered and one of them has never worked. The customer service can't help us because we have no idea how much was loaded onto the card since it has been 6 months. They refuse to help you! I urge everyone to never buy one of these cards.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanilla Prepaid Cards?

So I just reloaded a One Vanilla card (Never had any issues in the past) but then suddenly when I get home from reloading the One Vanilla card with $100, (already have $39 on it), I gave it to my son that isn't yet 18. Well what happened from there is he realized it wasn't working so he took it upon himself to call customer service, which is usually alright. Well not really for this scam of a company. They instantly locked the account after the first call because he said that he was my son. So he went and told me what happened so I decided to contact One Vanilla myself. What do they do? They ask me to send a copy of me SSN, Proof of Address, and my Driver's License. The banks don't even ask for a copy of a Signed SSN. So after it all came through One Vanilla got left with $139 and I walk away empty handed. This company really should be put under investigation.

I purchased a $200 vanilla card, registered it and when I tried to use it they declined it. I waited a day to make sure the my registration went thru it. It still was declined. I call vanilla, explain the situation, they said the will look into it but it will take a while. Card was purchased on 3/3/17 On 5/18/17 I receive a letter saying they approved my request for a refund. A check has been requested in the amount of $200. Any questions call customer service. I call a few weeks after the letter came asking about the check but customer service referred me to their web site which was impossible to navigate. So I guess I'm out of $200 buck but I have the right to bad mouth them for the rest of my life on every social media site I visit until I receive the check. If that's all I get for my 200 I will take it. No choice.

Obviously there is an on going problem with this card. I won't bore anyone with my details as they are the same as so many others. I gave a OneVanilla Visa 30.00 to my daughter. It declined and I have no receipt. Customer service very rude would not let me speak to a supervisor. This is an ongoing problem, the activation problem. WHY HASN'T IT BEEN CORRECTED. The only one who benefits is OneVanilla, consumer ripped off again.

I purchased this card this after noon at Walmart. I only used it three times and now they tell me their systems are all down and they don't know when it will be up. I am done! After reading these reviews I got off cheap. However, I will be leading the class action lawsuit against this company. I am bored!

I have a Vanilla Visa prepaid card that is supposed to be able to make purchases online and yet every single merchant I have tried has declined the payment. There is absolutely nothing good about this card. The company is a complete fraud. I am now stuck with a prepaid card that I can only use for daily purchases like gas. Nothing on their site was even remotely true.

Apparently card was not activated properly at the store. No way to get help on the phone or online. Friend bought me this card while traveling and now unless he returns to California there is no way to use the $50. Embarrassing for both of us. TERRIBLE or really non-existent customer service!!!

What an embarrassment and a scam. I received a $100.00 gift card and verified the value prior to leaving my home. When using for a purchase of $78.00, it declined and could only obtain approval for $24.00. I was informed by Visa/Vanilla, after pressing 0, 0 repeatedly on the phone that I can't use the remaining $76.00 for 8 days. When I insisted should be available immediately he stated Management makes the rules. I would never, never purchase another one of these cards. 8 days on hold but they have received the cash. They should be investigated.

Ten months ago I was presented a $100 Vanilla Visa Debit Gift Card as a retirement gift, with an expiration date of 4/2025. However, it would not get accepted online when I tried to use it recently. After numerous attempts, I finally got through to someone at the company who said the card "had never been activated at the store at the time it was purchased." I see this is a similar story by others. I was also told to produce a receipt from the store so they could "figure out what went wrong." They said the store was supposed to activate the card and they could not do anything to help me without the receipt. Total scam. Of course I'm not going to try to figure out who purchased this for me from my company ten months ago.

As I was reading through the reviews I came across something interesting. InComm (incom) took someone else's money. That is who took the money off of my card as soon as I checked the balance. The company seems to be ripping off their own customers. I was told by Vanilla customer service that the money may go back on my account in 7 days. If not I will have to go through a long dispute process. Which they won't satisfy especially if they themselves are ripping off their own customers. Being told basically, "Too bad there is nothing you can do because you have no protection because it is a prepaid card and not a real debit or credit card".

At least my rip off was only 30.00 not large amounts like the other people who wrote reviews. I will also message President Trump with my concerns of this company. He is on Facebook messenger. If anyone else should feel the need to address this with him. Sometimes in life you have to go all the way to the top to get issues resolved.

I purchased a card and put $500.00 on it for a vacation trip so I wont have to carry cash. I tried several times to use the card and it kept getting denied. I check the balance on the card and it shows $500.00 going in the account and $500.00 going right out. $0 balance. I called Vanilla and they told me I used the card at a place called LX Processing in San Francisco CA. (I live on the East coast) They investigated and told me my $500.00 is gone. I am still trying to get a hold of LX Processing, leaving messages to call me (per their voicemail) and not one call back for 2 months now. How can anyone steal this card information when I bought it at Walmart in a sealed package and brought it straight home. I'm pretty convinced someone is corrupt at Vanilla and LX Processing. Now I'm screwed out of $500.00. Thanks Vanilla One.

I just bought a Visa gift card from the pharmacy today to purchase some items online. I put in $38 and tried ordering something from an app, but it says the payment was declined. This problem happened to me three weeks ago as well. I put in $110 and ordered some things, luckily it went through, right? No. I lost all of my money and an Amazon customer service representative told me that they cannot give me my money back. I am very unsatisfied with the Vanilla gift card company and would like to talk a representative to sort this problem out.

So I bought a Vanilla Visa. I loaded it with 25 dollars. I come home, I try to use it and it doesn't work. I go to the website vanillavisa.com and I couldn't sign in until the next day. Then I bought something on eBay and I realized that it was the wrong item so I asked for a refund. They gave it to me and I went to look at my transactions and it says that I have 80 cents left. I would not recommend this to anyone. It is stealing your money.

First of all I am so infuriated with what happened to me today that it motivated me to jump on this website and sign up just to leave a review and hope that NOBODY ever makes this mistake. Let me first also say that part of this is my fault by not reading all the details in this scam to begin with but who would of think this would be such a pain. Here is my situation, father of 4 living in a home in southern California with my wife. Sole income of this home is me, I make about 26,000 a year. Not a lot and since my wife stopped working last year because of our recent baby I have been picking up the slack. Needless to say we have been behind on our bills. About 2 thousand dollars worth. Banks already wanting to repossess our vehicles. A God sent miracle comes from heaven and we come across some cash just enough to pay off our debts and keep our home.

Because of unforeseen circumstances my bank accounts are -$600 but I need to pay off these car loans before we have 0 transportation with 4 kids. That's a nightmare just thinking about it. I have the nifty Idea of putting the cash in to 5 different One Vanilla cards and using the cards to pay off my debt, well here is where I made the huge mistake. One Vanilla cards can't be used to make payments through money order or directly to the bank, not only that I cannot take the money out through an ATM. This is what I call a scam because the card CLEARLY says it's a DEBIT card and has the MASTERCARD logo on it! Everyone assumes that if the card says VISA or MASTERCARD on it and it's a DEBIT it's accepted everywhere!

Man what a HASSLE! Now I'm STUCK and I can't pay any of my bills with 2 thousand dollars on my cards that just turned into basically store credit. And seriously what is the deal with not being able to get a refund on these?? What kind of crap is that? Calling One Vanilla they say there nothing they can do and they could send me a check with the full amount in 2-4 weeks. What good does that do me if I have the banks hounding me and my family for me to pay them. I have a separate complaint on the banks not taking my prepaid cards, what the point of this whole prepaid card system if you cant use it!? That's a bunch of trash. Don't buy these cards. Don't fall into the trap of these card issuers and their fees to make a quick buck out of people who don't know all the details. SAVE YOURSELF FROM THE HEADACHE AND ASK YOUR LENDERS HOW THEY WOULD LIKE TO GET PAID AND AVOID THIS CARD AT ALL COST!

I have received few of these cards for a gift and have also purchased 4 of them (each one worth 200$, therefore 800$ wasted!!) When people I gave these cards as gifts tried to use them, they were all declined. When they went through the activation process, it seemed as everything went well but unfortunately they were unable to use them. The cards I received were also not used for the same reasons mentioned above. When I called the company and provided them with all the information they requested in order to "resolve" the issue: receipts, place where the cards were purchased, activation codes as well card numbers and expiration dates, they said it would take up to ten business days to fix the "errors that occurred during activation".

Anyhow, it has been over four months now and numerous phone calls and wasted time with the company's reps, and they have not done anything about it. The one thing they have done is kept all the money, which totals over 1200$. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND TO ANYONE USE OF VANILLA PREPAID CREDIT CARDS AS THEY ARE AN OFFICIAL FRAUD COMPANY!!! As for those who already went through bad experience and wasted their money, I would suggest they take action and start a lawsuit against them. I am sure we can gather the info from many that were scammed and proceed with the lawsuit. I Would also recommend to all merchandisers to refuse the use of these cards as well as not to accept the sale of these cards so that way they can prevent these issues from happening in the future.

Found out after many tries that you cannot use a Vanilla Prepaid MasterCard toward a purchase. Have to pay the difference first and then have merchant enter the exact amount remaining on your card. I'm sure other gift cards are the same, but this is the first I've had one in many years. Did not think I should need an owner's manual to use it. :)

But getting this out of the phone support person was extremely difficult. Especially as she would not let me talk. She appeared to like hearing her own voice. She said a transaction last month actually went thru at Burger King and I knew for sure it did not. She said I actually had no balance left and that the balance of $8.10 was actually the purchase amount at Burger King. After talking to a supervisor she said the $8.10 would be available after the weekend. Not sure what changed. Still being confused I asked her if the card being a card from Canada and used in the US (I'm in the US) could be part of the problem. She said, "oh yeah, I did not think of that". So, now we started to get to the root of the problem, with no help from phone support.

But then I got to thinking, the next time I try to use the card I will have to convert the amount of $8.10 to US$, and the conversion rate changes often. Next subtract that resulting converted amount from my purchase. Then pay the merchant the difference. Lastly have the merchant charge the remaining amount to the gift card. When I explained this to phone support she said it was not true. Then later she said I did not tell her I was trying to use in the US. Which doesn't make sense because this was part of the discussion two paragraphs back. Needless to say I tossed the card as the frustration was getting to be too much. Don't like the fact that Vanilla has $8.10 that they so don't deserve, but oh well. I need to move on before I have a heart attack over $8.10, or $5.93 US dollars as of 4/30/2017. :)

Card we received as a gift the beginning of December was partially destroyed. Been trying since a couple of weeks before Christmas to get a replacement card.

Always told one is being sent and should receive in 7-14 days. By this time we should have received 10. The last two times I have called this month I was told "We are so sorry but one was not ordered when you called in but we are doing now." Nope, having received them either.

My husband passed away Christmas day and before they would talk to me since he was the one that originally reported it, I had to send them his death certificate, copy of will and his ID and mine. After losing my husband this is not what I am wishing to deal with but I have been calling every 2 weeks since after his death and yet NO CARD. This is a terrible company. No one should have to go through this to get a replacement for something that someone purchased. They have their money but yet those that have had theirs stolen, lost or destroyed this company is making a killing since they are not replacing any of them. My card should have a value of $175.00.

I purchased a prepaid Visa card on April 18th, 2017 in the amount of $107 and I didn't take it out of the package until April 20, 2017. However, I kept the receipt. By the time I went to use the card for the FIRST time at 3 p.m. that afternoon there was only a balance of $2.47 on the card. Apparently, someone else had used the card not more than 15 minutes before I had a chance too. There were 3 transactions from the same merchant, Bluebird, all within 2 minutes of verifying the amount on the card. I immediately called the number on the back of the card and explained the situation. The rep said that it looks like the transactions were done in New York. Guess what? I'm in Michigan. The dispute for was sent to my email address to complete and return. I'm hoping the fact that I have the original receipt, the card and the package is enough for them to refund my money plus the activation fee. Never again.

I bought 3 Vanilla card and putted $500 on all three to buy a car from eBay motors. The people said it didn't go through so I checked my card and it said 0.00 and I call Vanilla Customer service and they said wait 3-8 business days so I did. Next I checked it again... The money never got put back on at all. It's been a month and I haven't got my money ($1,500) back on the card. All of them got 06/25 for the expiration date. It's too much money to be wasted right now. They suppose to sent me some dispute papers but they haven't did it yet and they said they was going to email me but haven't received one yet. I really need the money back. My family is in need for this money. I don't know what else to do. I told the police and they said open a dispute. They don't know what to do neither. I really really need help with getting this money back!!!

I lost my Visa gift card and had purchase order number to recover the card and a 260 balance however the company said I needed the sixteen digit number for refund and card replacement. The card is active and online with another company who will only give me the last four digits of the card. I want a resolution to this matter, it appears if I don't recover the numbers the company will keep the money.

First off don't tell me you have this credit card business and you can upload money in seconds to spend it but once something happens it take 7 business days to return my money. That's crazy. I called with an authorize number so they can return my money fast which in any situation with any other card you could basically do just so everything's in and everyone knows this isn't fraud and they still want to have 300 bucks just on hold. That's crazy. Just go out of business. This is **. The worst ever.

I have been trying to get a replacement card SINCE 12-15-2016. I have tried 7 [seven] times. Each time I am told my replacement card should arrive in 7-10 days, and it NEVER comes in the mail. I have spelled my name 7 & my address, and my Phone number, verified my name & address number by number, letter by letter each time. And as of 4-13-2017 have STILL NOT GOT A REPLACEMENT CARD. I HAVE NEVER HAD SO MUCH TROUBLE WITH CUSTOMER SERVICE. All the people are nice and take all the info each time, but STILL NO REPLACEMENT CARD.

I can definitely relate to other's bad experience with prepaid VISA card. I had the same problem. I was told the $200 fund was never loaded and to go back to the store to complaint. Guess what, the store said it was loaded, even the company overseeing this type of transaction for the store confirmed the same. I was told my next step would be to call VISA. I spent hours explaining the situation to a dozen of people at the call center. The phone reps were professional, helpful, nice & appeared to go out of their way to help but no one was able to help resolve the issue, including the manager. I'm still in the process of getting this issue resolve & crossing my fingers that I'll get to use whatever left of the balance since there's also a $2 monthly fee of inactivity. My advice to the consumer: never ever buy a prepaid VISA card. It's a scam!

I purchased two Vanilla Visa cards during the 2016 holidays. One card was lost so I contacted Vanilla Visa to get a replacement card. Needless to say I have submitted documentation of proof of purchase and address along with the assigned "ticket" number. Each time I call there is a different customer service person saying they didn't receive the email or fax. This company should have a class action lawsuit against them for fraud. Don't use this company. They are thieves.

Activated my gift card only to find out very limited merchants accept the card. Basically, the card is now worthless. I have $150 on it and nowhere to spend the money. The stores that do take it are an hour bus ride from me. Seems like the only places that take the card for transactions are the ones that sell them too.

One of the worse companies ever. Reported a gift card stolen months ago to be told the card is like cash. They don't refund you a stolen or lost card but they won't deny you to open a claim but they don't tell you ahead of time you're screwed. They lead you on to send in supporting documents and calling speaking to representatives or doing follow-ups and still nothing will be done. It's just to make it seem like they care. I will never again purchase a Visa Vanilla gift card and I will tell all my family and friends not to do so either.

Vanilla Prepaid Cards Company Profile