1.04/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 20, 2017

502 Vanilla Prepaid Cards Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I bought 3 MyVanilla cards so that my two nephews could go on a school trip to California and I could transfer money from the card I bought for myself to their cards while they are away. What I didn't know (but according to the customer service person is in the EULA) is that you can't transfer money from one "starter" card to the other. She said it was my fault for not reading the EULA. Oh wait, it is located INSIDE the package so no way of knowing that until after I had purchased the three cards and put $200 on their cards and $400 on mine. So, since I couldn't use my card to transfer money to theirs, I requested a refund. I was told that I would have to supply them with a copy of the receipt, my driver's license, social security card and proof of address AND pay a $10 fee. All to get MY money sent to me. I told them thanks but no thanks. I decided to go to an ATM and withdraw my money.

Guess what when I tried to use it the card was declined. I called MyVanilla cards' not so helpful customer service who told me that my card had been restricted and would remain so until I sent in the required documentation. They couldn't tell me what it was restricted for, just that it was "suspicious activity." What is "suspicious" about wanting to get my money back. I am currently waiting for a supervisor to get in touch with InCOMM, the company behind the card, to see why the account is restricted and what they can do to get my money to me, since I have no intention of sending them my SS card. My advice is "Don't touch MyVanilla" with a 10-foot pole.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

Despite saying it's a "debit" card, the OneVanilla Prepaid non-reloadable MasterCard cannot be used to pay bills - the whole purpose of my purchasing this card. It could only be used at a gas station as a "credit" card, another bill holder told me the same thing. Nowhere I tried could I use this to pay a bill. Be warned - it is NOT what it says it is!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I bought this card years before and never had a problem up until now. I was recently in Job Corps taking up a trade when I came back across this card. My mom had sent me $200 because I left the majority of my stuff at home and she was too lazy to send it back. I Spent half of it and decided to put that other $100 on the card I got at Walmart. Now I bought this card and the next time I went back to Walmart, I noticed they'd removed the whole batch of cards themselves. I thought something was fishy about that.

So I went ahead and tried to activate it. Here's where it gets ridiculous! When I tried to activate I accidentally activated it twice using my first name and then when that didn't go through I tried my middle thinking I might have used that. Instantly they lock my card, so I call them. They tell me even though it's my middle name they still need proof it's me! They make me send proof of my name to try and unlock it, then turned into proof of address. I'm thinking like okay that's fine. They ask me to send my S.S. Card, my ID, and proof of residence. This sounds sketchy as hell firstly, you want my personal identity? I sent it through email anyway though because I was anxious and determined sense job corps likes to Feed you **.

I email the first 2 and send something that has the address on it. They said it had to be something important. I told them I don't have bills I'm in trade school. They didn't give 2 ** and for months I had to hold onto that card until my stub came for completing. I finally got the stub after 5 months and tried to re-register it again. Sent it in email. Argued them down for days about it, because they kept saying it wasn't acceptable, because it was printed in the company's name and that it had to be in my name. This was stupid, because the address for the company was literally where I was laying my head every night and it was a bank stub! I'm upset I even wasted my time! I hope for my sake someone sues the ** out of them.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

I was given a My Vanilla reload card as a gift. I never had experience with a reload card never needed to. The expiration date was 4/20. I went to use the $50 gift and was told I had to register. After going through the process, I couldn’t view the balance. I called customer service to be told that the 3.95 dormancy fees ate my balance to zero. There was nothing there. The supervisor said it’s on the packaging. I read her what was clearly visible 2.95 activation fee and card expires 4/20. She said to look on the other side. 4 boxes: monthly fee—none, atm withdrawal 1.95, transaction fee .50, reload fee 3.95. She said, "No it’s on the line below." The line below is black ink on blue background font size 3 unreadable. She said, "Well it’s there and we can’t help you can’t read it." This is legal robbery!!!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

Vanilla Visa Card says there is a $150 balance. Card hasn't expired. Continuously declined. Cannot talk to anyone through customer service (shocker) recurring audio playback. Terrible company. Rip off!! They take your money!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanilla Prepaid Cards?

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

Worst card ever. I will never use or spend my money on. Because I was unable to register the card I was offered the option to use it unregistered but because there was no address the company I tried to send money through declined the transaction. MyVanilla was very unhelpful and told me they would not release the pre-authorization hold for 30 days because "they just can't". Will never recommend and I hope this company goes out of business.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I'm going to get right to the story... I needed to buy a Prepaid Visa Card to pay a bill. I have never bought one of these cards so I got the cashier to help me. We obviously picked the wrong one because the company I used it for denied it. I needed the reloadable, use at ATM, bank type of card. (Now I know). I had to get a refund. I called CS for OneVanilla and they are the worst. I had $500 dollars I needed RIGHT AWAY and they were NO help. They said I needed to send them a picture of the front and back of the card, the receipt, and a signed letter requesting my refund back. Then I needed to wait 7 to 10 business days to get my refund, MY MONEY.

First I had to send this information 4 times because either they couldn't find it or they didn't see it. They kept me on hold, and just apologize throughout the whole phone call. They inconvenience me in a way that I was late on my bill and have to now pay late fees, tainted my credibility completely. I am furious with this company and will never buy any of their products ever.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

Was given a $25 gift card for birthday gift. When I tried to use it 1 year later it took I could not. When I call the company, I was told I that after 90 days of NOT using the card I incurred a $3.95 charge/month "dormancy fee". In short, they took the balance of my card in fees without my ever using the card!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

Received Gift card for birthdays checked balance and funds were there, went to use next morning and declined. Someone made a Purchase on Amazon same morning, sad and now frustrated after speaking with customer service! After over a hour trying to understand each other I'm informed someone has to call me back. 5 hours later I received call and informed I have to file a complaint mail in documents with receipt and take up to 90 DAYS. Amazon didn't care because they have their money but Vanilla Gift card company knows there's a security breach but keep allowing these compromised Gift cards to keep being sold! DON'T BUY VANILLA GIFT CARDS. They don't care about the consumers security and do not follow up fraudulent activity!!! The Gift card number had to be stolen before it was purchased and somehow known when activated!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

I registered a Vanilla Gift Card, and an unauthorized user charged a dating site membership to the card. I disputed the charge, and got just the standard email back that read the dispute form was sent to the investigation unit. There was NOTHING in the email, NOTHING on the website that stated if a charge is disputed, your card becomes inactive, and the card number gets changed.

So, because it said on the page right after you log in that the card is inactive, you think that calling when the customer service number to get the card activated, they will then give you the card number and CCV number, right? WRONG!!! The customer service rep told me he wasn't allowed to divulge the new card number, but if I log in to the site, the number will appear on the site. Again, WRONG!!! So, I sent an email to the dispute email address, and I received a reply email that read they can NEVER reveal all sixteen new numbers, and the new CCV.

So, why does the card need to be deactivated then when you dispute a charge? Why, then, when the card is given new numbers, do we need to call to activate the card, when there is no way of getting the new numbers? They sent me an email and wrote that I need to send in a copy of a government issued ID, like a driver's license, and a utility bill, or some other bill with my name and address on the bill. Then they will refund the balance that's on the card.

When they deactivate the card, they don't tell you it can be reactivated. AND, when they deactivate the card, they don't tell you when the dispute is resolved, they change the card numbers. Then, they especially don't tell you that they aren't allowed to give you the new numbers. I guess they figure if someone had maybe $50 on the card, that person will feel that making a copy of a government issued ID, and a utility bill will be too much bother for just $50. But, now that I know the incompetence of this company, I will NEVER buy another My Vanilla card. BUT, if I did ever buy another My Vanilla card, I would bother with the ID, and the utility bill even if I had just 50 cents on the card.

The rep I talked to wasn't very bright. I had to repeat numerous times that my card was deactivated, given a new number, and I not only needed to activate the card, I also needed the new numbers. When he wasn't understanding that, and I kept having to repeat it, I got frustrated. I'm not patient when it comes to incompetence, so as I got frustrated, so did he, which is totally unprofessional, because I know people in jobs like customer service are told not to argue with the customer.

These people are VERY rude, both in their email responses, and in their phone calls. They are also VERY unprofessional. This company needs to be put out of business. They are a ripoff. The people are VERY curt. When they resolve your dispute, they don't contact you to let you know what the resolution was they came up with. You don't know they changed the card number until you go to the site, and see the number was changed.

When there is a disputed charge, I can understand deactivating the card until the dispute is resolved. I don't understand changing the card numbers, and I especially don't understand not being allowed to give out the new numbers to the cardholder. When you call to get the card activated, you have to give them personal information. So they know you're the cardholder. Why not give out the new card number to you, or to the people you authorized to use the card? They need to put on their site a place where we cardholders can put the names in of the people we authorize to use the card, or they need to change their policy, or they need to be put out of business. The company is a BIG TIME rip off company!!!

Updated on 09/23/2017: I wrote a scathing review of the card, and of the whole process involved in a situation where an unauthorized person makes a charge against the Vanilla card. I disputed the charge, and for whatever reason, it takes the dispute and investigation team weeks to make a decision on whether or not the charges are legitimate.

I specifically told the people at this company that there were just two people authorized to make charges on this card. I gave them the name of the second authorized person, and I told them if they could trace back who made the charge, and it wasn't the person whose name I gave them, then the charge wasn't legitimate. The other person swears it wasn't them who made the charge, company says the charge is legitimate, and will stay on my card.

My card is a Master Charge card. Does anyone know how we can locate a high management person at Master Card? If so, everyone who has written a bad review ought to write to this person, and tell him/her about the problems we have with the card, with the process and with the incompetent reps we have to deal with. While the unauthorized charge to my card was "just" $80, that was MY MONEY, and the person who made the charge had no business making the charge. How isn't what this person did considered theft and fraud?

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

My son bought the card for me while I was out of state. I activated card at the online web page while at the airport, anticipating a need to use it at my destination. The card was hacked & within 3 hours the balance was wiped out. I called to stop the transactions, which were pending, but the company would not put a hold on them. I had to wait for the transactions to clear, then file a dispute, then wait for an investigation. Each time I called I continually was put on hold while the customer service representative asked someone else questions. Even then I got conflicting answers. Finally got my money back, but I feel that all would have been taken care of if they had just stopped the pending transactions to begin with, then allowed the investigations to start. Representatives were rude and ignorant of the status of my claims whenever I called. Will NEVER use this company again and would caution anyone against purchasing their product.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

I cannot believe what I had to deal with tonight. We decided a Vanilla visa card would be best for my uncle who has some troubles with dealing with money. We figured this would let him have a little bit of his own money at a time. When trying to activate his card they said his identity was wrong and would not let him activate it. Upon discussing this with customer care they said if he has trouble and has impairments he should not have this card and that this is NOT the service for him. With only $20 on the card we just ask for a refund and they said that to cancel the card it would cost us $9.95. They would not even let the card be switched into his poa's name saying that would be fraud. They treated us like complete criminals and acted like there was nothing they could do about it. I know $20 isn't a lot of money but when you are on a fixed income and trying to help family something like this can really make you upset.

My biggest problem with this was them saying that since he has impairments he should not have this kind of a service. It looks like a lot of people have similar issues with them saying the identity is wrong when it is actually right. If the card won't activate they should have to refund the entire amount. Completely disgusted by the way they treated us.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

The Vanilla Gift debit card was a $50.00 gift, used it for a purchase at Nordstrom Honolulu. Item was $134.03 - $50.00 was paid using the Vanilla card and $84.03 was paid using my MasterCard. Item was returned to Nordstrom due to a fabric imperfection which was discovered upon arriving home. Nordstrom "refunded" the entire $134.03 to the Vanilla Card. When I asked for an explanation as to why the entire amount was refunded to the Vanilla Card, Nordstrom's sales clerk said that the system shows that the entire amount was paid with the Vanilla Card. Assuming that I now had $134.03 on the Vanilla card, I ordered an item online. The Vanilla Card was rejected. Called Vanilla Card, long story short, whenever an additional amount is added to the Vanilla Card, Vanilla's system automatically shuts down the Vanilla account. Vanilla's conveyed that this is their policy.

When I asked that a written policy be sent to me, the agent conveyed that they do not have a written policy to provide to the consumer. I was given a reference number and had to email the original sales receipt and the return sales slip to Vanilla. It took approximately one week to get this account straighten out. Vanilla did not follow up with a reply message, I had to call Vanilla to check whether the amount was refunded to my account. This is their policy, they do not reply back to the consumer -- they wait for the consumer to contact them. I then bought another item online and the exact same frustrating situation occurred! Do not buy the Vanilla debit gift card -- this is definitely a case of fraudulent concealment!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I purchased two of these cards as gifts for friends. Neither of them were ever used. They were both stolen by LX processing. I contacted them and their answer was that their website takes the money when you check the balance. This is complete fraud. There should be a class action lawsuit to resolve this and all customers should get their money back. This is horribly dishonest.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

Never buy a Visa gift card. We received one as a gift. Visa BankCorp, they started taking out $4.95 a month. We received no fine print about this, just a tiny little note on the back of the card. A lot of good gift card companies that do not Gift/Scam. Go with one of those. Do not, do NOT buy a VISA gift card and not a BankCorp gift card. Stay away.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

I got this card to give to my mom for her birthday - she tried to use it and it did not work. After several hours of trying to reach them and a lot of back and forth they finally determined that the card is defective. They said they will send me a replacement and I must wait 2-3 weeks to receive it. After 6 weeks and still no card, I called them again, after another wasted hour on the phone they said they will resend again. Again 3 weeks later my mom finally received the card but this time they put my name on it so she can not use it. I would suggest NEVER, Ever buy this unless you like chasing your own money from this sorry excuse of a company!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

My daughter received a OneVanilla card for $200 as a graduation gift. The card was used twice to make authorized purchases. She had $37.43 remaining on the card after about two months, $37.00 was withdrawn off the card by LX Processing, who is this? After reading several other reviews by unhappy customers, it seems this LX Processing is stealing money off customers cards. Tried to call OneVanilla, but each time I followed the automated prompts to enter my card number, expiration date and security code, it wouldn't process. It kept telling me to re-enter my card number… So needless to say I'm pissed off, but glad it was only $37 stolen and not a larger amount like some of the other customers.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

I received this $100 preloaded VISA gift card, which has no expiration. As soon as I tried to use, it was denied, and when you call the number on the back (right next to where it says there is no expiration) it says the card has expired. There are some real bad people in this world...

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

I urge you to not use this prepaid card. Use Western Union Net Spend. They are reputable and I use them and they have never screwed me over. OK, I'm going to try and give the abridged version of my ongoing nightmare. We have been hacked, in my bank account, home computers, email addresses, (all of them) yeah. (FBI if you by any chance see this I beg I to help me!) phones, etc. So, we closed accounts. Started small tshirt and blanket business with my son. I have to buy supplies online so I load $1500.00 on 3 Vanilla Cards. $500 each card. For expenses. For kids selling and expenses for business. I hang on to them for a week and then give one to my brother to pay a bill with and he had a hard time getting them to release funds. Then I waited a week more and called to register the last two. I opened them in my bedroom alone. Had to open with scissors to open package so no one saw cards.

They say they are registered to someone else and my money is gone! I sent receipts and copies of cards and my ID and a bill with my name on it. Proving where I live. To no avail. They send me a lame form letter with the wrong cc numbers on it and I've called millions of times and still f me. I'm filing criminal charges in them tomorrow. They cannot have my hard earned 1000.00. Hell no. It was last bit of operation capital we had and they delayed our business because now we can't buy supplies. Can you believe that crap? I hate their unprofessional manner of doing things and they are crooks. It's so simple to realize the money is stolen. All they have to do is check purchases and I have the original cards.

They just need to look at the address of where purchases were made and match with date and time I bought them. It's bull crap. I'm furious and disappointed that people seriously steal from honest consumers. I'd have used them from now on had they investigated this but they just say they closed matter even though letter reflects incorrect cards. They are ignorant crooks.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

I received a Vanilla Visa Gift Card as a wedding gift. I logged on to their web page Monday 8-15-2017 to see what the gift amount was. On 8-15 I had $100.00 on the card. By Tuesday the balance was gone. A company named Meezeee & G Inc had charged $100.00 to my card. I called the company to file a dispute and the woman on the phone tells me she can't help me and I am out the money. Her suggestion is that I Google the company and have them refund the money.

So I Google and guess what? The company doesn't exist. No company registration. No phone number. No address. Nothing. The only place that my card info was ever entered into was the website listed on the card to check balances. Now the person that gifted me the card is out her money, I am out my gift and someone with a bogus company has my $100.00, Not happy and will never use this company again. I have filed a written dispute but I am not very hopeful. My next step will be the State Attorney General.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

Somehow this company is still around and ripping customers off left and right. Card is literally the most frustrating thing I've encountered in years and I'm a well educated woman. I called customer service where I was told they need me to send them utility bill copies, DL and receipts. No. It's going in the trash. $20 isn't worth it, I will replace my children's money myself. Shame on you, Visa. Get your system straightened out!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

I'm in a cash crunch for a few weeks so I put some money on a Vanilla Card in case a charge hit my account. Several hundred dollars. Immediately there was a problem registering the card. It didn't believe I was me. So I had to call. I called several times and waited on hold. The lady asked stupid questions. Then after a while she said it was ready. I think by ready she meant I should go ** myself. Didn't work. Tried ATM nope. I deemed the Card a colossal waste and will wait for the balance to escheat. Everyone is good at something and Vanilla does have a particular use so it's not a total waste. Which it is.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

I purchased 2 Vanilla Visa gift cards as a gift on May 3, 2017; one for $500, one for $100. They were mailed to Ohio (from Las Vegas) in one envelope but stolen before being delivered to addressee. $100 gift card was never used and that amount was refunded. However, the $500 gift card was activated by Vanilla Visa when 'the thief' called in. Despite having a phone number associated with the call to activate the $500.00 gift card and despite having information on all vendors where the $500.00 card was used (5/6-5/14), Vanilla Visa refused to investigate the matter or help me track 'the thief' down.

Most importantly, I had been told ON A RECORDED LINE by Vanilla Visa that if I did not use the cards the money would be REFUNDED to me. I still have not received the $500.00 refund that Vanilla Visa promised my on their recorded line, approximately May 15th. Several phone calls later, agent Carey **, said he'd TRY to find the taped conversation but didn't think he could do anything about my loss. Vanilla Visa should be held accountable for their customers' investments if they activate cards that have been stolen. This business should be shut down immediately for theft.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

On 8-3-17 I received a $100 prepaid Vanilla gift card from my co-workers as I was moving, it was a gift. On 8-4-17 I spent $27.27 without issue, on 8-5-17 I tried to use it once again and the card was denied due to insufficient funds, I tried once more and still it was declined. I looked up my account online and it did state I had indeed made a purchase of $27.27 but then there was a charge for the full $100 from LX processing who works with the Vanilla One Card company. I have read many reviews from people who have not been refunded their money at all or people who were not refunded all of their money. Since they took the whole $100 from me I am now a negative $27.27 on a prepaid card which is ludicrous!!

I have contacted the Consumers Affairs and BBB, I want a check for the full $100 refunded to me via a check ASAP. If it's a fight they want, it's one they will get. When I am done with them they will be everything BUT a good idea. Beware and tell all of your friends and family NOT to purchase this card! Prepaid is Prepaid. You should be able to take it out of the package and use it.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

Purchased and it's already activated - I will never in my life purchase of my Vanilla Visa card again, it's been 2 whole weeks and they still have failed to resolve my claim. After calling 3 times they are still processing it and to call back 24-48 hours. It may be a hundred and something dollars but it's my money and I need it all back. How do have these cards at stores and they're not legit? To me you're a big scam.

Original review: July 29, 2017

After purchasing card I went online to check the balance, but after I entered required info and hit enter the entered info would disappear. I then went online to and made a purchase from Pep Boys in the amount of $23.81. When I went to pick up the item the next morning 7/28/17 I was told the card was declined. I then went to Rite Aid where I purchased the card, and the clerk who helped me called OneVanilla and was told that the card was activated but there was no available balance. I then called OneVanilla customer assistance and was told about the above transaction per LX Processing. I had no idea who or what LX Processing was, and I did not authorize this transaction. However when I went on the internet to research LX Processing it inferred that LX Processing is connected with OneVanilla.

Original review: July 12, 2017

I received a card as a gift but apparently it was lost in the mail. I finally received the $100 gift card only to find out $80 of the value had been taken back by the company as fees. That is ridiculous, as they basically scammed the person out of $100. Customer service was unhelpful and rude.

Original review: July 12, 2017

I purchased this card from a local Walgreens but once I went to use it, it was declined. I went online to check the balance and there was an issue with the card and I called the 800 number listed on the back. I was told that the card was saying that it wasn't activated and in order for them to fix the issue they needed some paperwork from me. I emailed a copy of my receipt and the card and they told me the problem would be fixed within 3 days. The fund's on the card the very next day. I believe the issue occurred during the validation at Walgreens.

Original review: July 4, 2017

My daughter who is underage wanted to buy a car; first time. She found a car on Craigslist. The ad stated it wanted her to contact them via email. Following these people making contact with her via email they stated that they would send her a link from Amazon to make the payment which she said seemed legitimate. Then they would ship the car to her. She then made the payment and contacted me following that payment for reasons she suspected fraud because the merchant contacted her a second time to ask her to pay another fee having to do with some sort of insurance for the car to be shipped. This amount was equal or greater than the amount of the car. I immediately called this card company to try to make a stop payment. The same hour in fact.

The operator kept saying "I offered the card as a gift" as if the key word here was (Gift). Prior to making my claim of stop payment to a fraudulent company that claiming to be a reputable company of Amazon. The operator stated that the funds would take a week for the company to obtain it. She also said to me that she did not have the power to stop the payment even if I were the card holder. What??? It's sitting there for a whole week like a sitting duck??? (But would have to make a complaints after the so called merchant receive their payment.) Well! I went through their process, of submitting my documents of proof to the claim dept. I waited the 60 days like they said I would have to; In fact it has been 5 months and I haven't heard a thing from them but that they have received my complaint... I AM PISSED.

Original review: July 2, 2017

I've got a Visa gift card as present. However, it takes the maintenance fee 2 pounds per month after 7 months from purchase and transaction fee is very expensive. At the end, I lost more than 10 pounds for nothing. I won't recommend anyone to buy this card, because it is very disappointing and stressful although it meant a present.

Vanilla Prepaid Cards Company Information