Looking for a prepaid debit card?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

1.02/5

Vanilla Prepaid Cards Reviews

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

My dad got me a $50 gift card. Used it once for $10. It worked but now I can't access the other $40. Do not buy this card. There is something fishy about this company, if you want to get someone a gift just go with cash.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

I purchased gift card on September 20th 2019. Before I could activate it someone had already used the 95.00. I called. Was told to wait 7 days and then they would refund my money, never happened. I have called, been lied to, told they emailed me a form, haven't received it, can never speak with a manager. I am so disappointed. I really want to start a class action lawsuit.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Debit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

I purchased my Vanilla card in 2018 and has been using it since. I noticed that I was being charged $0.95 a transaction. Looked at the updated fee agreement which state in any cards purchased prior to February 2019 what can 10 years to be charged $0.50 transaction so what I looked at my transactions online I was being charged $0.95 a transaction. After contacting customer service they could not help me and they told me that the fee agreement specifically stated the information which was not correct and they are legally breaking the fee agreement. They were not able to return the amount of fees they charge you erroneously. Do not buy this card.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

I received a gift card and activated it on 10/6. The card had $40. On 10/7 I tried to make a purchase of $4 and the card declined. I called to find out why. The rep tells me that they charged fees going back to April when the card was first purchased. It didn't matter that I had just activated the card the day before. So out of $40 I got $18 of my gift and when I say they have trained these people not to tell you no different I mean that. This company is getting rich off of consumers by just taking money. Do NoT BUY THIS cARD.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2019

I bought $200 Vanilla gift card for my 87 years old dad. After I got online to make sure there was $200 & activated. Day after my dad went to store to use balance was only $2.45 left. I called the co. They told me they'll dispute the money & told me someone bought the stock $97.45. After I emailed to filed dispute more than a week I didn't hear anything & also mailed out still not hearing anything. I called them again. They said they are still waiting for my dispute form which was filed online & mailed out. Most of places email back when they receive dispute form. I enclosed the picture of the card front & back. Plus receipt bank statement from Bjs gift card purchase. Still hear nothing. Someone hacked the card from when I tried to activated. I bought so many times Vanilla gift card but this is first time it happened. Hopefully I hear something soon. Will never buy another gift card from them ever again....

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanilla Prepaid Cards?

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

So I purchased a Vanilla debit card at Rite Aid to pay a bill. I thought it would be convenient by paying online instead of driving around. I loaded 100 dollars on it. Got home and was not able to activate it. I called customer service and they gave me some BS saying they couldn’t verify my identity. So I had to fax them the front of my social security card. I got an email confirmation saying they had received my document and it would take 3 to 5 business days. So I call back 5 days later and now they’re telling me I have to wait until Monday. They claim I put a wrong digit on my registration but I know I did not. I know my social by memory and was very careful.

Every time I call I have to repeat my story and all these questions and they just give me the run around. Sometimes they put me on hold and just hang up. Don’t waste your time and money with this company. They’re just robbing people. Can’t even understand their English. So I know this card is not from the USA. I just wanted to pay a bill and now I’m gonna have to pay late fees and maybe cancellation of my energy service. Somebody please stop these crooks...

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

We put $240 dollars on the card, brought it home and activated it. We tried to use the card and it was declined, less than minutes later the money had been used NOT BY US. STOLEN. I contacted them and they said I had to wait 8 days to make a complaint. So I contacted the people who the purchase went through PayPal Shoppy-ecom Merc and disputed the purchase. I had to wait 10 days for them to look into it. Called them back and they told us that they cant confirm the charges were not made by us because I didnt contact One Vanilla and make a dispute, mind you One Vanilla 5old me I had to wait 8 days to make the complaint.

So I called One Vanilla back and made the dispute was told that I would receive an email shortly for the dispute and after I filled out the paperwork it could take 45 to 90 days. A few days later called back and still didnt receive the email. Was told again 24 to 48 hours I would get another email.... Guess what. Still waiting 72 hours later. And after reading the reviews on here I dont think I will ever get my money back. These people should be put out of business.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

Allowed scammers to steal 100 dollars from gift card. Refused to replace or refund. If they can't protect the gift cards from being stolen, seems likely they can't protect a customer's personal information used to purchase it. Company is single handedly destroying consumer trust in gift cards. Company of thieves and enablers of theft. Company should be fined in to oblivion.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

I gave my daughter a $100 gift card last Christmas. She just tried to use it after NEVER using it, and the balance was less than $10 9 months after I bought it. Not only did I lose over $90 I spent on the card, now I had to purchase the things she wanted to buy with the card. Complete rip off.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

I purchased a prepaid card from this fraudulent company and put $34 in it. I never activated the card and never used it. I called them a couple of months ago to ask for my money back since I NEVER activated the card and NEVER used it. They got my address, my full name, my phone number, and my email address and said they will close the account and will send me the refund for the full amount of $34. After a couple of weeks waiting, when I did not receive the check, I called them and another employee said the refund check has been issued ant it should be on the way and I will receive it by the latest on Sep 5th. After a couple of months, when I never received the check.

I called them today, and the person that I talked to, said the check was never issued, then she put me on hold for a while to find out why, after talked to her supervisor, said that the Supervisor has sent an email to the customer resolution center to follow up and I need to wait a couple of days and I need to call back to follow up with them again!!! Then she hung up on me. After few minutes I called back and another rep named Nora, said the check has been issued on Aug 21st and after confirmed my mailing address she said they will reissue another check once they confirm that has not been cashed, when I asked what is the reason for not receiving the check after this long, she put me on hold for another 3o minutes to talk to her Supervisor...then she came back with a totally different story saying, since I have not used my card (even though it has NEVER been activated), I have lost all my money as dormant FEE of $3.95 per month!!!

I WAS shocked about the way this sleazy, fraud, scam people lied and stole my money and gave me a runaround for stealing $34!!!! I asked to talk to her supervisor, a guy named Robert employee ID#**, came online and with a very arrogant, cocky, rude voice and attitude said basically they stole all my money, EVEN THOUGH the card has never been ACTIVATED and USED, because there is a $3.95 per month fee as dormant fee, that has eaten up all my $34 that I put in the card!!! And the check that I was promised by other staff up to few minutes before that, has never been issued and there would be no check!!!! These company needs to be sued with a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT by all the people that they have ripped off and stole their money. They are FRAUD and SCAM and a bunch of THIEVES!!! DO NOT DEAL WITH THEM. They steal your money in daylight and have no shame....

Vanilla Prepaid Cards Company Information