2. Finance

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

Vanilla Prepaid Cards Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanilla Prepaid Cards?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanilla Prepaid Cards?

Original review: Sept. 28, 2020

The Vanilla Prepaid Visa card is very reliable. You're able pay a bill that you wouldn't usually pay with your bank card instead of using your own bank card plus sometimes a Company Will still use your card at the you have contacted them and let them know that you don't want the product and to not use your card again, In other words you may try a product out and you don't like it and you want to cancel it you can't called the company to cancel it but they continue to take their mouth of your call.

I can speak of this because it has happened to me several times so now when I wanna try a product that I see on TV or the Internet I'll use a prepaid card that I put money on it and let the company get the purchase. If the product is not what they say these or I don't like it I'll call the company and ask them to stop it but sometimes they might stop it so I don't put money back on the card and I don't disused it with to the Vanilla card. It's using any prepaid card that you have to put the money on but you can't do that with your bank without people Having to have to calling them to stop payment and that could cost you. There are so many good reasons why a prepaid card comes in handy and is good to have. You could always purchase another one And this use it to your advantage.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2020

The biggest thing is that if the card has an expiry date then if the owner of the card still has money in it after the card has been expired. They should move forward that amount to a new card and send it to the customer with the left amount that wasn't used. Or card shouldn't have a expiry date and customer should have access at any time of their money.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2020

I was extremely worried after I purchased this card at Walmart, and it didn’t work right away. I looked at the reviews, and my fears grew. After looking at the website, I saw that the phone number was 3 digits too long. As it turns out, they have the correct number listed, it just has a 218 in front of the actual number that shouldn’t be there. I talked to customer service, and they said I had to wait a half hour to use the card after purchasing. I wasn’t very hopeful, but half an hour later, I was able to make my purchase with no issues. I’m very pleased that this wasn’t a scam.

Original review: June 9, 2020

I've used the Vanilla Prepaid Visa card for approximately 8 years. I use it for all of my direct deposits, and I've never had a bit of trouble with the card, company, or online system. The only drawback to this card has been the $0.90 charge each time you swipe your card. I usually take what I need in cash out with an ATM that's in the my vanilla network (it's only like a $1-something), to avoid those charges everytime I buy something.

Original review: May 3, 2020

They lock you out of your online acct and the only other way to contact them is by phone and they won't answer the phone. I have 80$ TracFone bill sitting. On hold for 1 and a half hours at a time till run out of min. Four times in a row then they are free to rape you blind. They scammed me out of 2300 to 2500 $ of my Harley money. This is just what america needs. A bunch of computer scamming diaper heads running our financial and banking institutes.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

I was given a $100.00 Vanilla gift card for Christmas. I made one purchase for $18.00 and bought $65.00 worth of items on Amazon. My Amazon transaction declined, which prompted me to check the transaction history. I noticed purchases that were not made by me and decided to call the customer service line. From the very beginning, I've had nothing but problem with this company. I'm in Colorado, these purchase were made in Florida. I got more help from the companies the purchase were made at than this company.

Every time I call them to check status of this dispute, there is always some new problem or reason why they cannot give me any information. I just called they could not find my dispute, placed me on hold, and after sitting there for 30 minutes, hung up on me. I've provided them with all the information they requested from me by both fax and email, I sent copies of the receipt. It is ridiculous the amount of frustration I've had to go through just to get a status check. Needless to say, I spent $18.00 total on a $100.00 card over a month ago and I still haven't been able to resolve this issue. I will never buy one of these gift cards again, not because my card was compromised, but because of the issues I have had with their customer service department. I have filed disputed in the past and it was NEVER this difficult.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2021

I would not recommend these cards, service is horrible. A restaurant overcharged the card I had which then put it over the available balance. The restaurant credited the overage but this company deducted the $5.14 that was overcharged, NOT of my fault at all. After taking over 2 weeks to credit the amount back to the card. It's only $5.14 but they can clearly see what happened and should have never charged ME for the overage. Unacceptable. Not worth ANOTHER call and 30 minutes of holding for $5.14. I would NOT recommend them at all!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

I have bad credit so I used this card for Hotel 5 times, Hotel usually require $200-250 deposit. PREPAID CARD COMPANY takes that deposit for themselves and marking it as GRATITUDE. They scammed me over $1200.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

Bought 3 vanilla prepaid Mastercards. When my children opened them for Xmas, the cards were missing 8 digits of card number and missing half of the expiry date. Upon returning to store we were told that they've been used by the company doing inquiry. It was obvious the card numbers had been scratched off and tampered with. Was it an inside job??? The package was intact. So now 2 out of the 3 cards were used and my daughter having to send in a dispute claim for the 2 cards that my children have never used. Will we get the money back. It costs 5.95 on every card to have them activated for each $100.00.

So now we have to wait and see if we will get our money back. I do not wish to purchase these again after all the efforts to get our money returned. I will never purchase again. Great idea but thievery wins the game. So now we wait. We have to wait a minimum of 45 days to hear back from company after they do their inquiry of where purchases have been made. Sad my children have to wait for their christmas gift money.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

By mistake this was my second time buying this type of card. The first one I couldnt get it activated. It that all keeps saying invalid card. After months I purchased this card again as a gift for my Pastor and now I am dealing with the same situation. If you call customer service they hung up on you. Not worthy the stress. Better not to buy it.

Vanilla Prepaid Cards author review by Barbara Friedberg

Vanilla Prepaid Cards are simple prepaid cards you can use anywhere Mastercard or Visa is accepted. They are available at many retail stores.

• Cards available: Vanilla Gift and OneVanilla are prepaid cards without ATM access. With OneVanilla, you can add money to your prepaid card and funds never expire. MyVanilla is a reloadable prepaid debit card.

• Pricing and fees: There’s no monthly fee for MyVanilla reloadable prepaid cards. Cardholders are responsible for a $0.95 signature purchase transaction fee. ATM cash withdrawal fee is $1.95. A $3.95 dormancy fee is charged if your account is inactive for 90 days or more.

• Reload options: MyVanilla cardholders can direct deposit payroll, government benefits or tax return funds for free. Use VanillaDirect to add funds to the card or pay bills. Service fees apply to reload at stores.

• Mobile app: Get account alerts, track activity and check your balance through the MyVanilla mobile app.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor