2. Finance

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

Vanilla Prepaid Cards Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanilla Prepaid Cards?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanilla Prepaid Cards?

Original review: Sept. 28, 2020

The Vanilla Prepaid Visa card is very reliable. You're able pay a bill that you wouldn't usually pay with your bank card instead of using your own bank card plus sometimes a Company Will still use your card at the you have contacted them and let them know that you don't want the product and to not use your card again, In other words you may try a product out and you don't like it and you want to cancel it you can't called the company to cancel it but they continue to take their mouth of your call.

I can speak of this because it has happened to me several times so now when I wanna try a product that I see on TV or the Internet I'll use a prepaid card that I put money on it and let the company get the purchase. If the product is not what they say these or I don't like it I'll call the company and ask them to stop it but sometimes they might stop it so I don't put money back on the card and I don't disused it with to the Vanilla card. It's using any prepaid card that you have to put the money on but you can't do that with your bank without people Having to have to calling them to stop payment and that could cost you. There are so many good reasons why a prepaid card comes in handy and is good to have. You could always purchase another one And this use it to your advantage.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2020

The biggest thing is that if the card has an expiry date then if the owner of the card still has money in it after the card has been expired. They should move forward that amount to a new card and send it to the customer with the left amount that wasn't used. Or card shouldn't have a expiry date and customer should have access at any time of their money.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2020

I was extremely worried after I purchased this card at Walmart, and it didn’t work right away. I looked at the reviews, and my fears grew. After looking at the website, I saw that the phone number was 3 digits too long. As it turns out, they have the correct number listed, it just has a 218 in front of the actual number that shouldn’t be there. I talked to customer service, and they said I had to wait a half hour to use the card after purchasing. I wasn’t very hopeful, but half an hour later, I was able to make my purchase with no issues. I’m very pleased that this wasn’t a scam.

Original review: June 9, 2020

I've used the Vanilla Prepaid Visa card for approximately 8 years. I use it for all of my direct deposits, and I've never had a bit of trouble with the card, company, or online system. The only drawback to this card has been the $0.90 charge each time you swipe your card. I usually take what I need in cash out with an ATM that's in the my vanilla network (it's only like a $1-something), to avoid those charges everytime I buy something.

Original review: May 3, 2020

They lock you out of your online acct and the only other way to contact them is by phone and they won't answer the phone. I have 80$ TracFone bill sitting. On hold for 1 and a half hours at a time till run out of min. Four times in a row then they are free to rape you blind. They scammed me out of 2300 to 2500 $ of my Harley money. This is just what america needs. A bunch of computer scamming diaper heads running our financial and banking institutes.

Original review: April 22, 2021

I purchased two Prepaid Mastercards in March. I went online to register, one is not a valid number and the other shows $0 balance. When I called customer service I was told two separate claims need to be filled out. I emailed all required paperwork and pictures and called back in 10 business days as instructed. When I called back I was told that it's only been 9 business days... So we count on a calendar together and the lady says so April 22 is 10 days, I say, "Yes that is today, that is why I am calling." I am then told, no I need to call back AFTER 10 business days. So I clarify that when I call tomorrow I will receive a confirmation for my refund and she said no, call Monday maybe Tuesday for an UPDATE. Refunds take up to 90 days.

During the call I was also questioned about the paperwork that I sent, the person informs me that they don't show anything on their end and that nothing was received from me... even though I received a confirmation email that all paperwork was received and being reviewed as well as two other emails requesting additional information. Yet according to them, nothing was received from me.

I have also been told that because the card, that has a $0 balance, shows on their end purchased in 2020 and spent in January 2021 at an LCBO. The only refund I will receive is the amount that they can get back from LCBO. So if LCBO refuses to pay, I get $0. I purchased my card March 16th 2021- have the receipt to prove it yet might be out the full $100 because their system shows different from my receipt. It is absolutely ridiculous. I've never felt more ripped off by a company who is clearly frauding customers.

Original review: April 20, 2021

I ordered 26 Visa gift cards from Vanilla so that every staff member of a local school could receive a letter of appreciation and a gift card for what they’ve gone through during the COVID-19 pandemic. I received the gift cards two weeks ago, wrote my letters, enclosed a gift card with each in envelopes addressed to the staff. NOW Vanilla sends me replacement gift cards, saying they mistakenly made the first set for “online purchases only” whereas the replacement cards can be used online or in person at retail stores. But to match up the replacement cards with the correct recipients of the first cards (which they may have already partially used for online purchases), I will have to ask each staff member to send me the number of their initial gift card. I spent more than $800 on these gift cards, trying to do a nice thing. What a hassle! I will never use Vanilla gift again.

Original review: April 9, 2021

I purchased a $100 pre-paid card last Christmas as a gift for someone, got home from CVS and discovered the card was not in my shopping bag. Contacted Vanilla immediately and filed a lost card claim, emailed all the necessary paperwork to Vanilla sales receipt, proof of identity. Several months later and countless phone calls I finally receive an email response, they now need proof of my mailing address. I emailed again 2 documents validating I live at the address provided. Every time I call I am told they never received the email even though I C/C myself and never got back a undeliverable notice from Verizon.

I requested to speak with Supervisor who told me the same thing, I asked, "Can I send you the email directly while we are on the phone." Her response was the same as everyone else at Vanilla. NO I must send it again to the email address they are providing. This has been going on for 4 months and no resolution. I believe when you call you're getting someone located outside the United States based on the broken English every time I call. Called again today and told the same thing from the Supervisor, she is emailing the fraud dept and call back after 48 hrs. I am getting ripped off by this company and no recourse, googled Vanilla Corporate office location with no luck.

Original review: April 7, 2021

I am not the first person that has been ripped off with this company. They say you have nothing on your card when you check and then have no transactions!!! After going further into the layers of phone calls, I was told that some person I never heard of had used my card on Paypal. I was told to call Paypal. This company is overseas in Asia. The site I put my card on was Amazon. Since so many people have had the same problem, I think they have an inside job giving out card info or selling it. HOW CAN YOU GIVE ZERO STAR????

Original review: March 31, 2021

I will NEVER again buy a Vanilla Visa gift card! I bought one in February, registered it, and by the next day someone had used it on Google to make purchases cleaning the card out of all but 50 cents. The only place I used the numbers was on the Vanilla Visa website to register! I have called 4 times and get excuses every time as to why this is not being looked into. :( They say they can't investigate until I return a dispute form that they never sent. I have even gone so far as to print out the phonetic alphabet so that I could use it to make sure they have my email address correct. Still no dispute form and every time I call they don't seem to know what I'm talking about. Thank God it wasn't a lot of money, but the ironic thing is that I bought the card so I wouldn't get ripped off online! I'll call again on Thursday, but I expect I still won't get any satisfaction.???

Vanilla Prepaid Cards author review by Barbara Friedberg

Vanilla Prepaid Cards are simple prepaid cards you can use anywhere Mastercard or Visa is accepted. They are available at many retail stores.

• Cards available: Vanilla Gift and OneVanilla are prepaid cards without ATM access. With OneVanilla, you can add money to your prepaid card and funds never expire. MyVanilla is a reloadable prepaid debit card.

• Pricing and fees: There’s no monthly fee for MyVanilla reloadable prepaid cards. Cardholders are responsible for a $0.95 signature purchase transaction fee. ATM cash withdrawal fee is $1.95. A $3.95 dormancy fee is charged if your account is inactive for 90 days or more.

• Reload options: MyVanilla cardholders can direct deposit payroll, government benefits or tax return funds for free. Use VanillaDirect to add funds to the card or pay bills. Service fees apply to reload at stores.

• Mobile app: Get account alerts, track activity and check your balance through the MyVanilla mobile app.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor