1.05/5

659 Vanilla Prepaid Cards Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 23, 2019

Have a Vanilla Visa Giftcard that I purchased in early March 2019 so I can make purchases online. I purchased something on Amazon and had a balance of 31.00 so didn't think much about it til recently when I needed to make a purchase. I checked my balance online and discovered I have only .45 cents. A transaction was made at the end of March and on description it shows PayPal, I've never used PayPal. Unfortunately I was hacked and clearly this is to common from reading all the other complaints. Don't trust VanillaGift!

Original review: May 20, 2019

$320.00 added on the 17th at Dollar General. Try to register zip code on the 18th. Website says bad gateway. Unable to access it...Update zip code on different browser. On 19th check balance online. It's zero...Charges to Saks Fifth Ave and Nordstrom have drained funds along with a pending transaction to Saks for 00.00. I call. Vanilla says they will send dispute paperwork To email. Not received yet. I have called the issuing bank BanCorp. No help. I have called Visa Usa that processes the payments. No help.

At this point these 3 are basically all in it together to provide no help. Only one number to Vanilla. You cant access because it says card expired.. Called Saks Fifth Ave. Called Nordstrom's. Called Dollar General. I'm taking a break for now before I blow up but I will call every Dollar General store to tell them not to sell these con artists cards. FDIC insured BanCorp not heard the last of me especially seeing all these other customers who have had their money taken but these companies still operate hand in hand...I know in my head it's just the way it is and one voice not going to matter. But my heart says how many people were taken for their hard earned $.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Debit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 19, 2019

I took my Mom to an exclusive diner in her area as a treat for breakfast. Before leaving I called the Visa Vanilla Card # to inquire as to my balance & was told there was $17.47 remaining on the card. The breakfast tab was over $25 so I immediately took some cash out of my wallet to cover the difference between the card and the tab. When the manager ran the card he told me they were only releasing $14! I told him that I was given a balance of $17.47 about 2 hours ago, and he said he always has problems with this particular card because they always hold funds back. If they always hold funds back, I asked the manager how I can ever use the entire balance on the card. He shrugged his shoulders.

I thought I told all family members no more Visa Vanilla cards but I guess they forgot. I don't know how this is even allowed to happen, as it sounds like a scam, big time to me! TELL ALL YOUR FRIENDS & RELATIVES, NO VISA VANILLA CARDS! I believe they do this on purpose so people get frustrated, don't use the remainder on their cards and it's extra bonus $$ for Visa!

Original review: May 16, 2019

I found out my card number had been compromised in fraudulent purchases of almost $300. I call the MyVanilla customer service line and go round and round with them. Eventually they tell me they will expedite a replacement card 3-5 business days. Now we are 8 days into it and still no card. I put a complaint in to the BBB. Tracked my card after finally getting a tracking number that was already supposed to be emailed to me but wasn't, will be here in 2 more days. That is 7-10 business days, not 3-5. Needless to say I will empty that card and take my business elsewhere after that. They don't look out for their customers at all. DO NOT USE MYVANILLA! You have been warned.

Original review: May 15, 2019

I purchased my card at Walmart. Tried to register online but I was told to retry many times until I was finally told the account has been locked. I call the number on the card and get some offshore call center. I call back hoping to get a U.S call center and just sit on hold. I went to Walmart. Customer service said there is nothing they can do. Looks like I am out $300 and at risk of identity of theft.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanilla Prepaid Cards?

Original review: May 11, 2019

I bought a prepaid Visa Gift Card issued by 'U.S. Bank National Association' from Ralph's. The card was frozen after registered. I called the number on the card. They let me fax my ID, SSN, Physical Address and DoB to a number. I did so. 2 days later, I call them again. They said the card is not activated yet. I ask them, "Have you received the fax". They forward my call to their Offline Dept. A lady said they received the fax, but the picture is not clear. She let me send the fax again with the pictures 200% bigger. I send the fax again, and call them the 3rd day. They told me the fax number is not correct and give another fax number.

I send the fax again to the 2nd fax number, and call them the next day. They said the 2nd fax number is not correct, and want to give me another new fax number. I told them, "I need to talk to your manager." Then the manager said the 2nd fax number is wrong, and she gave me again the 1st fax number. I told her I already sent my documents to the fax number. She said it will take about 3–5 business days. But their customer service told me before that once they receive my fax documents, it would take about 4 business hours to activate my card. It seems they don’t really want to process my request.

Original review: May 7, 2019

February 2019 I used my Vanilla gift card at Panda Express. About a week later went to make a purchase, my card declined. Check transaction online. Unauthorized impossible transaction made. Do you card being put up I then called in to customer service was told to file a claim, they'll email claim paperwork. Filled out send in. Two months later no refund, was told card was sent out and returned to unverifiable address. Verified address to the same place I been receiving mail for two years now. They said everything matched. We will resend it. 15 days gone by still no card. Week later called in on the 8th day of shipment. Told to wait till 14th day. So TODAY from a supervisor I was told the card was never sent out. She can send it out now.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I bought a prepaid $150.00 VISA card for my parents for their anniversary last May. When they went to use it at Moxie's Restaurant in Toronto it was declined as they tried to use $146.00 (under the maximum $150.00 on the card). This was super embarrassing to say the least. I then called on Dec 27, 2018 and I asked for a refund (minus the $6.50 activation fee I paid at the time).

I was told that the card was placed on hold and the refund would be a cheque for $150.00 sent back to me in the mail. May 7, 2019 I called to follow up, and was told refunds are not given out, the card was still on hold and I could take it back to the merchant that sold it to me...really? I asked for the card then to be re-activated.

I was also told that if you try to use the card in restaurants they automatically hold back 20%, so on a $150.00 card you cannot use more than $125.00 or it will be declined. Then days later (no specifics) you would be able to use the other $25.00, but I did not get a straight answer if another 20% would be held back on the $25.00 balance as well! I will NEVER buy another pre-paid card again!

Original review: May 1, 2019

Well I purchased a Vanilla gift card a couple of days ago so the first time I try to use my card at a hotel. Since I was in another state needed somewhere to stay. Well the agent at the hotel tells me the card is being declined. I’m like how? I have enough money on the card so I call the number on the Vanilla gift card. The agent is like, "You have to wait an hour before using your card then we place a 20% hold on your card when you're trying to purchase a hotel stay on line." This is a rip off. That’s one incident. Next one on today. 5-1-2019 I tried to send a family member some cash using my card on Moneygram. Card declines so I called the Vanilla company, spoke to the agent, she’s like, "Can I have your name?" I gave her my name then she’s like, "What else name do you use?"

I tell her I’m thinking why is this important when my card isn’t registered in nobody name. Only my zip code is associated with my card so the agent is going back and forth with me telling me I can’t use any name I want for my card. I’m like, "Excuse me. You're not my mother. I can use any name I like. It’s my card and plus I haven’t even registered my card in nobody name" so the agent gets mad put me on hold. Never came back to the phone. Oh but before she put me on hold she’s like, "I’m going to put a block on your card" with a lot of attitude In her tone. Basically she retaliated because I told her she can’t tell me what name to use.

I talked to her supervisor and told her about her about her unprofessional co worker, how she went back and forth with me about what name I can use for my card but the supervisor didn’t seem too concerned. I also told her to listen to the recording. "It will back everything up," I’ve said to her and in law retaliation is a crime. The agent I spoke to was out of line and she cut my card off so now I have to wait just so someone can look at my receipt ID, etc. I sent showing I own my card. This is ridiculous. Don’t buy this card but if you do buy this card make sure you save your receipt.

Original review: April 27, 2019

My husband bought me a card as a gift - so he paid 54$ for a 50$ gift card. Tried to use it at a restaurant; the server came back and said, "Sorry, your card didn't work." I called the number on the card, confirmed it was registered and the total amount. I assured the waitress it was good to use. She came back and informed me it only went through for 41$, we still owed 9$. I paid the difference in cash and left, acutely embarrassed that it looked like we were trying to short change the restaurant. I called and the automated system said there was now only 80 cents left on the card!

I waited for a real customer service rep. She informed me they "hold 20% in case of a tip," and the remainder would come back to the card on the 8th of the month - 14 days away. THEN I would have the pleasure of using the balance by checking out, paying with cash or check until the bill was 9$, then complete the purchase with this card. So - If you want to pay extra money to be embarrassed and inconvenienced - this card is for you. Otherwise - a check or money order is better.

Original review: April 25, 2019

Money was used to pay for items that I bought online. Never got items so file a claim with dispute department. Told I have to wait 3 to 5 days process and ten for refund. Now take 90 days for a refund.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I tried to use my card on 3 occasions including a very embarrassing trip to the grocery store knowing that I had sufficient money. The card would not work. Tried to pull money from an ATM, still nothing. Finally call Vanilla only to be told that they had put "MY MONEY" on hold due to some refund I got from Walmart. Apparently they could not verify that I made the purchase using the same card, when it is clear as day on my statement! They had me send copies of receipts which I have done and have done nothing about the time and other inconvenience they have caused me. They should have had the decency to alert me rather than me finding out the hard way. I think it's time to go back to the Real banks where I know my money is safer and I don't get charged all those ridiculous fees for every transaction I do! I am not a happy camper as I still await this issue to be resolved not knowing whether they will notify me or not when it is!

Original review: April 17, 2019

I attempted to check my balance and end up talking to someone from company. Because I could not remember exactly all the info, they had to have a colored copy of my drivers license, my social security card, and some bill with my address. I send all of this and days later I called again. This time they stated the copies weren't clear enough. I don't guess they would have ever contacted me. I only found out after another inquiry. It is no longer worth the effort to try to get my money. My advice is never buy one of these cards.

Original review: April 7, 2019

Ok. I got a $500 gift card in October 2018 as a gift from work. Went to go used it and guess what? My balance was $2.30!!!! How!!! I tell you how. These cards are easily hacked. I file a dispute and come April just now getting another card! And guess what happened? Yep the card has been hacked again. Good thing I've spent most of it already. But the hassle!!! Please just stay away from these gift cards. They are not worth the headache!!!

Original review: April 7, 2019

I have bought $75 Vanilla prepaid card. After few days I try to use it. Somebody already hack my balance. Use it on Amazon. When I call customer service they tell me they going to sent dispute form in my email. Wait for few days. Nothing receive. Call again. Same answer. I have called 15 times. Still have not receive form yet. Now I give up. That is why never buy this Vanilla card again. Very easy to hack and terrible customer service.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I was bought two of these Vanilla Prepaid Visa cards both for £25 each. I did not realize but they charge £2.95 extra per card activation fee at the till so straight away the purchaser is overpaying. I have had the payment declined twice, so I leave it a few months and try again. I finally manage to use it in Tesco after it gets processed a different way. Now later on I can see they have took £2.92 off the remaining balance, I didn’t realize but if you don’t use up the full balance in 7 months they charge £2 a month admin fee! I didn’t buy them so I don’t know when this fee applies and 2nd if they could be used first time then there would not be a problem. Very unfair company, don’t buy in the first place.

Original review: April 4, 2019

Vanilla Gift Cards are difficult if not impossible to use when near the limit. I have $15 balance left. Can't use it anywhere that a tip may be added. Very difficult to use at other merchants. Most merchants run the card and you pay cash for the difference. With a Vanilla card you have to pay the cash difference first and then run the card. Merchants don't like that but Vanilla doesn't care. Don't buy Vanilla cards. You will lose money which is what Vanilla is hoping.

Original review: April 2, 2019

I just found a Visa Vanilla gift card on the bottom of my purse which I have not used at all. So I went online and to check the balance and it showed not valid number - tried again same results. So I called the toll free number - same results. Not valid number but that is the number they said to put in that is on the front of the card. Even put the expiration date which is 06/26 and the 3 digits on the back. Still same response. I just found this card and did not even know I had it so it has not been used. What is going on with this? I have looked at other reviews and the same scenario is happening. Can't someone do something about this? I even typed in Vanilla Visa gift card balance and the site is blocked for malicious software. Can't even get onto the site!! Is anything being done about this scam of having a Vanilla Visa gift card and then find out number isn't even valid on it. Now what do I do? Please let me know. Thanks! Helen **.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I bought a $30 Vanilla Prepaid Card for my son's birthday and he was so excited to finally get some online crap that he’d Been begging me to get and every time he tries to use it it says the cards been maxed out and we literally just got it out of the package.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I bought a prepaid OneVanilla card at Walgreens in Las Vegas in January. 500 cash. When I got home it hasn’t 33 cents on it. So to make a long story short...they keep saying they are sending a card...7-10 business days which NEVER arrives. I told them just to tell me the truth that this is a scam and I’m out of my 500. It’s been months. 500 cash I gave Walgreens. They both blame each other. Neither want to take care of the problem. I feel so foolish out of all the prepaids and gift cards to pick OneVanilla. When I saw everyone else’s post my heart dropped. How does this happen? Why do they sell fake cards at Walgreens?

Original review: March 25, 2019

My friend bought one Vanilla Gift Card from Walgreen store on Las Vegas in amount $200.00 and gave to me. When I try use a card and activation of card it show my balance $ 0.00. I was shock about that... I immediately contacted them, submit anything they need (copy receipts, copy both side a card) but they don't help or support us to get back my money. I think Vanilla prepaid card is a deceitful, unbelievable company. You should be careful when buying gift cards, so avoid this company.

Original review: March 22, 2019

A purchase made 3/10/2019 for $96.00 for some type of kid game. The card has only been used at one store and online only. I filed a claim with Vanilla, got a case number, got forms (email), filled out forms and their fax has a bogus number. Tried to contact customer but was told the card number was invalid. I would like to see a class action suit against this business.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I bought 4 Vanilla gift cards for my grandchildren for Christmas. All 4 $25 gift cards when they tried to use them had zero balance. I got credit for 2 but they refuse to give me back my $56.88 for the other 2. I purchased these through PayPal credit. I issued a complaint to PayPal, they sided with Vanilla Visa, saying that they were processed correctly. This company is a fraud and if you purchase through PayPal chalk it up. You're not getting your money back. Wish I could rate them a zero just like the balance of their gift cards.

Original review: March 19, 2019

The worst ever card imaginable to purchase. They pass the buck and no one knows anything for 7-14 business days. That's if you're lucky enough to pass some customer service reps interrogation process to speak to a supervisor. Supervisors say wait 24 hours and then you call on 24 hours they say wait 48... 3 years later I am still waiting for my $285 card to be replaced. I emailed the CEO President and Vice President. Do any of the Corporate people care that has idea?

Original review: March 16, 2019

I was also a victim of the Vanilla prepaid card scam. I purchased a gift card for a family member who is very ill and needed it to purchase medicine. I was convinced to buy the card by a manager at the local CVS pharmacy who told me this was a reputable and popular company for gift cards and they explained this would be the best way to send funds out of state to them for purchases since it was safe to send through the mail. When they attempted to use the card there were three fraudulent charges to Amazon, Google and company named IOS APP STORE and all but $0.14 was used from the card. CVS has done nothing to assist with the issue, I had an incident opened and after 2 months they mentioned I need to call the Vanilla gift card company.

When contacting them they first mentioned a 45 day period before they would be able to refund, after 2 months went by when contacting them back they now say 90 additional days required to dispute the charges. This is a terrible company, don't make the same mistake I did for purchasing this in trust that this was a reputable company. I will also not be shopping at CVS any longer for selling these cards and having managers promote them as a good option to send money through the mail. I made them aware that I am not the only customer having this same issue but did not seem to have any interest in hearing about that or helping their customers.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I bought this card at Walmart for $100 dollars, my husband went to use it. Didn't work. Called. The card was used $98 purchase then it $100 credit that was never put on card then say $1.23 at Goodwill??? What?? Go back to Walmart. Of course "Sorry there is nothing we can do." Then the lady at Walmart proceeded to tell this is not the first time this has happened. Then says "I should talk to manager. We really shouldn't sell these cards!!!!!"

Then you call the number on back just for them to tell you they can't help you until you register the card online. Then you try to register the card and of course the website doesn't work properly. Then you call back for them to tell you they can't help you!! Unless card is registered!! Let me tell you. I gave the lady a piece of mind!! I didn't use foul language but pretty said "How do you sleep at night ripping people off. Hard working people like myself who leave their kids to go to work. You're stealing from my kids!!!!!" And that they're evil and so is Walmart selling these cards they know don't work!!!!! There has to be something we can do about this!!!!

Original review: March 9, 2019

Do not ever buy a Visa gift card issued by Vanilla, it will never work. They will ping pong you back and forth between two different numbers to no avail!! Look for the word Vanilla on the top left corner.

Original review: March 9, 2019

Bought this card from Walgreens. I had a fraudulent vendor transaction. Time to get my money back from this company, They have a bad customer service. Do not buy the card! They did not promise that they would recover my money and I would have to wait 90 days. This is a bad company.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I never had a chance to use this card, the balance was transferred to a PayPal account. I do not have a PayPal account and do not know anyone with one. I am trying to get the money back but keep getting the runaround. I will not purchase a Visa card again!

Original review: March 7, 2019

My daughter was given a $25 Vanilla Visa gift card as a birthday present in January 2018! Biggest waste of money. I'll explain why - went online to check the balance, only to discover that all bar a mere $7.50 of the $25 credit had in fact been deducted in "Account maintenance fees", that is $2.50 per month! To make it worse, these fees only began being deducted in August 2018, what happened to the months prior??? The expiry date is not until 03/2022! An absolute scam! They should be ashamed of themselves. Please do not give this business your hard earned $$$.

Vanilla Prepaid Cards Company Information