Find a Prepaid Cards partner

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

Vanilla Prepaid Cards Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanilla Prepaid Cards?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanilla Prepaid Cards?

Original review: Oct. 25, 2021

Bought Visa Vanilla Debit Card for Granddaughter's birthday. When she tried to use it the first time, all the money was gone after her one purchase of $1.89 from a $200.00 dollar account. Someone had previously hacked the card and spend over $190.00 on Google games the moment she made her purchase. Visa response to this was for her to go back to Walgreens to get help, and Walgreens said it was a Visa Vanilla Card problem. Moral to the story, do not buy Visa Vanilla Debit Cards...

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

The cards for the most part - don't work! so you end up throwing them away and the company benefits. DO NOT BUY VANILLA GIFT CARDS!! They are nothing but you know what! SAVE YOURSELF. What an awful experience.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

Was given 2 $100 cards as gifts. Total $200 in Vanilla gift Visa card, made purchase at Walmart. Returned merchandise. Walmart credited a nonloadable gift card therefore I am out of the money and merchandise. Vanilla gift card no help in getting my money. Will not purchase another card nor accept another one as a gift. Horrible experience. Customer service keep putting me off with no help. Asking me for a purchase receipt when someone else bought the card. They are really bad business. Experience too long to go into details!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2021

My wife gave me a hundred dollar gift card for my birthday. I wanted to use it online and had to activate it to do that. So I activated it. As soon as I did the money was taken out of the account by a online company. I filled out their paperwork that they sent me and sent it. The date was October 2, time stamped on my email and when I called to check up the lady whos from India sounds like the same lady every time. She said that I didn't send it until the seventh and that they just got it. I said okay thinking I was mistaken but thought about it and confirmed it. I feel this company is fraudulent.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

I was gifted $400 Vanilla Gift Card on January 7, 2021 from the company I was retiring from. I did not try to use until May and was declined. I contacted and found had been used Costco online Feb 4, 2021 for the full amount. I sent the dispute claim forms and received email stating would take 90 days. I requested update in July and was informed could not locate. Sent claim again, received confirmation. Today contacted Vanilla and was told case is closed and according to terms and conditions this is my problem. This is obviously a scam company.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

I received a Vanilla gift card $100, for my birthday. On September 19th I tried to use it at a nail salon, it was declined. I checked the balance before I went in, it had $96.48 available. When I tried to pay at the salon and it was declined (this was less than an hour later) I checked again, the balance was .78 cents. A charge to Alfyhome supplies had been made for $95. I immediately called vanilla customer service. I was told it would take 7 business days, I called back on the 24th and was told I needed to file forms for a dispute. What??? Now it is September 29th and still no satisfaction. I did fill out the forms and faxed them back. This company is awful!!! DO NOT buy Vanilla gift cards EVER!!!!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2021

Please do not buy a Vanilla Gift Card... I bought a gift card ($200) a birthday gift for a little girl. She tried to use it the following day only to find out that it has only a $55 balance. By the time I checked it. It showed zero balance, purchases Walmart, AliExpresss. Vanilla gift card has people in their company that is selling activated cards info to scammers before the purchasers get a chance to use it. No help from them when I called. DO NOT BUY VANILLA GIFT CARDS.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

Have contacted CS for 8 months now. They have all pertinent info and they refuse to issue me a new card. If you lose the card and don't have the actual receipt they will not assist you. You are out those funds! What a rip off!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

I was given a Vanilla gift card .. When it was given to me it was in a enclosed package where no one else was able to see the information ... It was in my control at all times ... It was use without my authorization twice ... 1st to make a purchase on PayPal ... Vanilla would not help me so I turned to PayPal who took care of it in a matter of days ... 2nd time the day after PayPal returned the funds to the gift card someone used it to make purchases on google draining the card to 37 cents ... Again vanilla said it would take 90 days and that it still couldn't assure I would get my money back ...

This time sadly Google would not help ... Which was disappointing because I've been a loyal Google customer for over 10 years ... The only way that the money could have been removed is if someone within vanilla gift cards was involved ... There is no way any other person would have know just how much was returned to the card and make purchases draining it to 37 cents ... It had to be from inside vanilla gift cards ... There is no other way ... I am moving to file a class action suit against Vanilla gifts cards and if any one would care to be a plaintiff please contact me ...

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

Horrible experience with Vanilla Prepaid Gift Card! I received three gift cards for my birthday with 100$ on each of them. The first one I gave my son that was going away to college. He tried paying a bill online for school and it got declined and a hold was put on the card as fraudulent use. We called and tried explaining to them it was us using the card and they kept saying we have to fill out a claim that could take up to 90 days! Second card tried using it at the store and cashier made a mistake and they put a lock on the card, so the card was declined! I had to call customer service and argue with them just so they would take the hold off. Third card same thing!!!! They made me feel like a criminal each time I called! Too much of a headache!!! They should take this gift card off the market. People put money on these cards for a special day and it immediately gets ruined! Do not waste your money on this card!!!!

Vanilla Prepaid Cards author review by Barbara Friedberg

Vanilla Prepaid Cards are simple prepaid cards you can use anywhere Mastercard or Visa is accepted. They are available at many retail stores.

• Cards available: Vanilla Gift and OneVanilla are prepaid cards without ATM access. With OneVanilla, you can add money to your prepaid card and funds never expire. MyVanilla is a reloadable prepaid debit card.

• Pricing and fees: There’s no monthly fee for MyVanilla reloadable prepaid cards. Cardholders are responsible for a $0.95 signature purchase transaction fee. ATM cash withdrawal fee is $1.95. A $3.95 dormancy fee is charged if your account is inactive for 90 days or more.

• Reload options: MyVanilla cardholders can direct deposit payroll, government benefits or tax return funds for free. Use VanillaDirect to add funds to the card or pay bills. Service fees apply to reload at stores.

• Mobile app: Get account alerts, track activity and check your balance through the MyVanilla mobile app.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor