Vanilla Visa Gift Card

Compare Credit Card Companies

Research top Credit Card Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I purchased two Visa Vanilla gift cards for Christmas. One was for $100 and the other for $25. When the recipients of the cards tried to use them, they were declined and were expired. The expiration date on each card was 06/25. I do not understand how they could be expired. I contacted the number on the card and began an endless process of being transferred from one person who spoke bad English to another, and round and round I went. No one could help me. I finally spoke with a lady who was a "rep" of the bank and she wanted a duplicate receipt. It is now March, everyone has their gift cards and I do not have the receipts.

The people apologized so many times while they did nothing to assist me that I finally told all of them to drop the worthless apologies. I was at the end of my rope and I was not nice to them. I guess not I am out $125. I am retired and on social security, but it's the principle of this. How about helping a customer? I will never buy another Visa Vanilla gift card. I will get all of my gift cards at the bank. I think this company is just a scam and pocketing the monies from these "expired" cards. I have filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission and also with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau? Thank you for letting me vent!

Had a $25 gift card and with cash bought something for $47. Returned it to the store and the clerk accidentally put all $47 back on gift card. Vanilla froze the card saying it was more than $25 and after calling 10 or more times for 2 weeks they never unlocked the card and just outright stole our money!!! The worst company I have ever dealt with.

I got a $50 gift card maybe like 18 months ago. Tried to pay with the gift card and transaction declined. I called the number of the back of the card and they told me that I need the original receipt in order to activate it. I couldn't believe it!!! Who receipts with gift cards?? Purchased Gift Cards should have access to the money without asking for a receipt. I insisted that I can't go back to the people gave me the card and asked for the receipt. I think the Vanilla Gift are making very difficult for the activation so they can pocket the money. JUST SAD!!! Poor customer service. She hanged the phone to me. I told her I was going online and make a comment about the scam!!! Visa shouldn't let this company use their logo!!! Bad reputation.

I bought this gift card for my Grandson and mailed it to him, he never received it. I did make a copy of the back of the card. I called and was told even though I had the serial number and they confirmed that I had purchased it at Walmart and that it had not been used, they were unable to issue me a new card without the receipt and a photocopy of the front of the card as well as the back. Who does that? By the way, they also confirmed with me that the second card I had purchased for my other Grandson was used, one serial number apart. The card has been stolen twice, once by whomever has it and once by Vanilla.

Unknowingly I purchased a Vanilla Visa Gift card. I used it online to order Christmas presents. I ordered some items from Target, which two of the items were going to ship too late for Christmas. I cancelled these two items and Target issued credit to Vanilla Visa. I NEVER GOT THE CREDIT APPLIED TO MY CARD. Vanilla Visa denies getting the credit, but Target gave me the exact date they issued credit to them. I will never buy a Vanilla Visa again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanilla Visa Gift Card?

I won a Gift Card from work for employee of the month. Lost the card after making one small purchase. Reported the card lost and was told I could get a replacement just send in address and copy or receipt. I told my original phone operator I could get a copy but not the original as I didn't purchase the card. Calls went on for a week with them all ending in they needed more from me. Ultimately the money is lost, my boss can't get a refund and I can't get a new card and Vanilla has horrible, rude customer service.

I can't get my paycheck early. Everybody at my job got paid early besides me than making so I really need this time. I talk to customer services & let them know banks will be close February 20, 2017 for holiday. They tell me I won't get paid till Tuesday. I get paid on Monday. Full of bull.

I was given 2 gift cards for $500 each. I used one with no problem, went to use the other and was declined multiple times. Went online to check card balance and the website couldn't find the card, didn't exist. I called their customer service and they told me the same thing. It wasn't activated. In order to resolve this they asked for copy of card, receipt and photo ID (why would they need this since it's a cash card and they told me they have no way of tracking who bought it and where/when without receipt). Don't ever give personal information to this company, they don't need it.

I had to ask my boss's boss for receipt. The card # on the receipt didn't match the card I was given. I sent the info to Vanilla Visa and told them his company (well known big company) wanted to know where the $500 went. They responded with "your card has been activated". It was and I now have the funds. What a pain in the butt to work with this company. I would never in the future buy a card from them again.

I bought a Vanilla card and put $50 on it so my hotel I was checking into needed a card on file. The hotel told me they would release the money back on the card in 3-5 business days so I waited until the fifth business day and called the hotel they said they released the hold to call the card. I called she told me "if you use the card for hotel stays it takes 30 days to have your money released." I will never use one of these cards again and if I had known this I would have never used it in the first place. It took them five seconds to take my $50 and put it on the card but it's going to take 30 days to give it back, total and utter crap. Don't ever use one of these cards anybody. It's a joke.

Every time I ever get a Vanilla Gift Card there's always purchases made at stores I've never heard of, gone to, or even live near! It is always a gas station too!! AND I DON'T EVEN OWN A CAR!!!! It is ridiculous, I called today and told them what happened, they said that in 60 to 90 days I will get a brand new card. They also said that they would email me, THEY NEVER DID. It is handy to have but they honestly suck!!

I am very disappointed with this card. I received the rewards card from Time Warner. I was never told that fees would be taken out of the balance. When I looked up the balance and found the fees, I called. I spoke to nice lady who said that the back of my card says that a fee of $2.50 would be charged as of the 7th month of receipt. This is written so small on the back of the card that no one notices it. I couldn't even read the telephone number to call them to find the balance. Luckily, I could read vanillavisa.com. I then asked to speak to a supervisor when I noticed that I was charged in the 6th month or so I thought.

The supervisor, Devin, who tried to be courteous, told me that there was nothing he could do about reversing the fee, but agreed that it looked like a mistake. "Oh well", is basically what he said. I then asked for his supervisor and was told that a manager could call me. After we went around the issue for a few minutes, he suggested that he could get a supervisor to speak to me. I spoke to James, who is also a supervisor, but was extremely helpful and explained that reason I was charged $2.50 in month 6. The reason being that 2 days into month 7 is when I was charged. He also helped the situation and found a reasonable solution that I found satisfactory. However, I would not recommend buying and/or accepting these reward cards unless you spend the money on them asap. Otherwise, they charge you monthly.

My boss got me a vanilla card for purpose of direct depositing my paycheck. I registered the card via telephone customer service rep and was told the card was ready for use. I went to Wal-Mart and attempted to use the card for purchase and was denied. I aborted the transaction and called vanilla card service who reset my card and I selected new pin. Was told I'm good to go. I went through line at Wal-Mart and was denied again. Called customer service again and was told that the rep who helped me register card initially had deactivated my temporary card and activated the permanent card that will be mailed to me in 2 weeks. So, instead of activating my card in the spot while I'm in the store, I have to wait 24 hrs for them to activate the card. DO NOT GET VANILLA CARD!!!

We were given these cards by family for xmas present, they were bought in the UK. We cannot spend them here in Spain, or online. Have spent hours trying to find their website. I went to the website written on back of card, registered my name and birth date, would not accept my address. But tried putting it in, then had brain wave. I logged into Paypal account, added it to my payment cards and bingo, was able to use them to send money to my son. Paypal has accepted the payment from card so let's hope there will not be a message later of failed payment. Anyway for those out there who cannot get the cash go to your Paypal account and add the card. Good luck.

Vanilla Gift Card offers no consumer protection regardless of the trusted VISA logo. Purchased a Vanilla gift card so I could order an item on-line without using my credit card. I did not want to provide my personal account information with all the scammers out there getting a hold of information too easily. I thought the Vanilla gift card would be a safer option. The merchant happily took my money from the gift card and never sent the merchandise I ordered. No reply to the several attempts I made to inquire about the item not received that I paid for so I disputed the transaction through InComm or Vanilla gift cards for Non-Receipt of merchandise.

InComm couldn't care less - they offer no consumer protection and use the VISA Logo as a way to gain your trust and purchase their card. Deceitful business practices! They simply said "go to your local police - we can't help you". Obviously, the merchant who stole my money is aware that Vanilla gift cards do not stand behind their customers and ask for them as a preferred payment method. Two con-artists working together.

My brother purchased a $100 Vanilla prepaid MasterCard for me for Xmas. I went to use it. Naturally it did not work. Called Customer Service. They said it had not been activated. Need the receipt. The receipt had a different card number on it than the card in the package had on it. So there's pretty much no way to recover the lost monies. MasterCard just gets to default and keep the $.

I recommend you gift cash over credit cards as they're unreliable and nearly impossible to reconcile. It's a giant waste of time and money. I mean an activation fee is added on when it never was activated so after $110 you get nothing in return except a headache and empty wallet plus the embarrassment of going to purchase something and being declined and then having to spend my own money on the supposed to be gift.

Absolutely unacceptable business practice. It is crooked and basically thievery and fraud on their part and they're allowed to continue, it's disgusting truly. I hope one day they are held accountable for the money they have received with no product given in return, or at least not a working product, just a useless piece of plastic. Please do not ever buy one. Gift money instead as it cannot be frauded away from you and is accepted everywhere. Good luck. Hopefully this does not happen to you!!

I received a Vanilla gift card over the holidays from a friend. She sent it to me via US Postal service. I opened the packing on the gift card and called the number to check how much I had on the card. To my dismay, I was told that the card had been purchased for $200 but, the whole amount had already been used by a Sam's Club member in Riverside, CA at around 12:00 midnight. I assume this would have been an online purchase.

The representative whom I spoke to even said that it looks like an inside job since, I had not even received the card but it had already been used!! I filled out all the paperwork they needed to start investigating and e-mailed it to them on Jan. 4th. I called them on Jan. 17th to check the status and was told that they had sent me an e-mail on the 16th requesting the receipt of purchase which I don't have since it was a gift and I did not get it from my friend. I'm not sure why the company did not request it when I 1st called on Jan. 4th. After reading all these other bad reviews, not sure how is company is still in business - they are an absolute fraud. I requested a copy of e-mail they claimed to have sent to me requesting receipt and still not received it.

Had a refund of 208.36 put on to my gift card. Vanilla Visa won't release the funds, even after my complying with their policy of providing proof of purchase, then proof of refund. Ask for a supervisor, and you'll just get another person that you can barely understand reading the same rehearsed lines as the first. The "bank" that supports Vanilla Visa is a scheme, and they are thieves. NEVER USE VANILLA VISA - I'm going to make sure of it in the future, and I am telling every family member and friend exactly how Vanilla Visa TOOK WHAT IS *MY* MONEY and won't give it back. As another person suggested, I, too, am going to go to the States attorney office and file a complaint.

I had to load a bunch of personal information just to "register" the card then I activated the card and I still can't use it. I have called the company, I have tried different stores etc. and everywhere I go the card is denied but I have money on the card. I have been fighting with this card for a month and I still can't buy anything with it. SO MAD!!!

I went to the dollar store to get me a prepaid Vanilla Visa debit card and I put $45 on it to shop online instead of using my bank card. So I set up the card on the website and it sent me to a login but I didn't have the login information. So I called the customer service and they told me my information was invalid and they were going to report my card as "lost or stolen". At this point I'm pissed the ** off , so the lady asks for my social security card (in color), the front and back of my card, a utility bill for my current address, and the receipt of purchase.

For ONE, it's almost tax season time. Y'all not fixing to use my ssn to file y'all taxes then I won't be able to file mine, hell to the no. For TWO, y'all are just some scam artists conning innocent people out their money. Y'ALL WILL GET SHUT DOWN ONE DAY! I'll be glad when y'all do because this is just ridiculous. You can't even get a gift card without your money being taken. So now I have to just let them take my money monthly since they do that too. If you go to a store & you're looking for a prepaid reloadable debit card or gift card, I recommend you don't get the My Vanilla debit card!!!! You won't get your money!!!

When I logged into www.vanillavisa.com the layout of the website was confusing and sloppy. I was trying to register a gift card I had received for Christmas. Finally after about 10 minutes I learned how to do so but it would not accept the ZIP code so I went and typed it at least 15 more times then I looked up a list on Google of my surrounding towns' ZIP codes. I made it to the 300th one when I gave up. I will be calling Customer Service tomorrow to see if they can retrieve my money.

On Dec. 14, 2016 I purchased 7 prepaid gift cards $500.00 each totaling over $3,500.00 for holiday gift at CVS in Manhattan for our corporate BOD members. However, once BOD members tried to use those cards, all 7 cards balance were 0 and actual card numbers inside the box did not match with the card number shown on the box which was scanned at the CVS. I made a claimed to both CVS and Vanilla but they did not take this fraudulent scheme as seriously. I made a claim on Dec. 17, 2016 to both CVS and Vanilla, and as of now, it is still not resolved and CVS is claiming that it is a VANILLA issue there is nothing they can do about it. I am still fighting for the refund and/or replacement card, but as of today, Jan. 11 almost a month... still don't have a refund and replacement card on my hand. Getting really tired of fighting and don't what I can do more to get all cards or refund back.

Additional transactions were posted as deductions from Aldo and I did not make the purchases. The girl put them in as credits two times because she made a mistake but Vanilla Gift Cards do not input credits only purchases. That is why so much money comes back to Vanilla Cards and the company gets rich. Retailers insist on putting refunds back on the cards but the gift card will not add back the refund to your balance. I just lost 42$ because the Aldo Girl rang a pair of earrings three times per her mistake and issued me a refund. Vanilla Posted them three times as purchases even though it should appear one time for 16$. We all need to report Vanilla Gift Cards to our States Attorney's Office in the State we reside in asap!

This is why so many people never get their full gift card value. Never get refunded on your card.I am going to file a complaint in Fla with the States Attorney now. I had a 250.00 gift card from Christmas. Cheated out of 42$. I printed out my Vanilla ledger online on their site. The 16.03 and the 26.73 should have been credits from Aldo. The 3rd Aldo charge for 16.03 was correct. Vanilla owes me 42.76 dollars.

Well I bought my Vanilla card on the 24 of Dec. 2016. Today is 30th of Dec. My money still has not been put on yet. Problem Vanilla card turned off the card for no reason. Then they tell me I have to go back where I bought it. Well where I bought it said it's in the system. Vanilla card says they see it but it didn't process. Tell me "send in your info so we can verify it's your money." So I Did it in triplicate. "But I never gave my ID at purchase so why would I need it now?" I asked. No answer to that. Your receipt isn't enough info for them I noticed.

Update: sent all the paperwork, received confirmation from the company, have the emails as proof. And they still tell me they didn't get the paperwork. Customer service has no way to talk to the people who working on your card so called. This company knows exactly what's it's doing... I was buying my child a gift for Christmas online and that transaction never happened. I was never able to get the gift I wanted because my money never showed up on my Vanilla card. Now it's a game to them to give me my money. If there anyone else I move for a class action lawsuit.

I was told I had a zero balance on a $200.00 card when I called the customer service line. I was told the money would be put back on the card after my grievance was submitted. I started the process then was diagnose with stage 4 lung cancer where all of my time was being consumed by my health. After awhile I got my strength back after treatments, I again continued on the journey of getting my money put back onto the card.

Today 12-28-2016 I received a letter stating recovery efforts was to be submitted within 60 days that the transaction cleared & my claim was outside of this time frame. Jeez! I'm sorry, I'll have to schedule my illness better in the future. I explained at the time my diagnosis. I receive at least 4 cards a year from family members on holidays & I have always purchased at least 12 of them a year. As of today I will give cash & explain to my family why I will no longer accept any visa cards. I will also be canceling my visa credit cards & going only with American Express. Now wouldn't we all like to know where the $200.00 went, I know I want to know & where the rest of the monies are going that this company scams off their customers!

My son unfortunately received a gift card for Christmas. It was declined and when I tried to check it online for him, was given an error code. I called the "customer service" line and after being hung up on repeatedly, finally got someone on the line after 30 minutes. I relayed the problem to the customer service rep and explained to her that I also had the receipt showing that the card had been activated. As I did not have the receipt with me, I am now having to waste more time calling back and trying to have this issue corrected. From the other reviews that I read, my son will have to wait quite some time for an issue that is obviously reoccurring with this crappy company. Don't waste your time and money!!!

I received this card as a bonus at work and it will not scan at any stores as the magnet must be out. I called twice and they just told me to wait awhile and try again but I have done that, it will not scan. They have horrible customer service and basically the only thing they can do is send a replacement card in 7-14 days. I wanted to use my Christmas bonus to shop with but now I can't and by the time I receive a replacement card Christmas will be long over. We received this same type of card last Christmas and I had problems with them then too. I am going to advise the company not to buy this brand of card again as they take your money and then you receive no help from them when there is a problem. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!!

How is it that this company is permitted to continuously rip off customers? They are permitted to sell these gift cards through retailers but NO ONE supports them. Consumers continue to purchase these cards in good faith as gifts for others yet Visa provides no support--they just rob you of your money. I am extremely disappointed in Visa. Shame on you for putting your name on these cards, taking money from honest consumers, and then provide no service. I just wish I had read all these other horrible reviews prior to purchasing my gift cards. I have to say, I will NEVER purchase a Visa gift card again and you best be warned to do the same. BUYER BEWARE with these cards. VISA IS A RIP-OFF AND A SCAM!!!

All I can say is Vanilla Visa card do suck. What a waste of money. So much hassle. They take your money and then can't access the card. Wonder how I can get my money back from them. Sad case. Don't use them.

You would think a company as big as Visa would care about customer service. I bought my Vanilla Visa at a local drug store; and much like the rest of the angry customers online it was declined. I called the number on the back of the card and was informed that I would have to send a picture of my ID, a picture of the receipt, and wait 3 days for them to activate the card I paid for in cash. Why is my ID even requested? I didn't use it to buy the card, the ID is completely irrelevant but worth waiting three days for some ** at Visa to evaluate? My need for the card was a time sensitive purchase, I am now losing money everyday it takes Visa to get their ** together. How about those who lose their receipt trusting Visa to do the right thing? DEFINITELY GO WITH MASTERCARD. YOU ALL ARE ONLY THAT 5 DOLLAR FEE TO VISA AND THEY WILL ROB YOU FOR MORE IF THEY CAN.

On the website, getcardbalance.com, it clearly states that there is 24/7 customer service. This couldn't be farther from the truth. No matter what information I enter through the website or the 800#, I keep being told that the card is invalid and then when I choose to stay on the line to wait for the next customer service rep, it automatically hangs up on me. Do yourself a favor, next time you want to send a family member or friend some money, either send it via wire transfer or fold up a nice crisp bill and put it in an envelope. ANYTHING would be easier and much less hassle than this P.O.S. card. What a ** waste.

Vanilla Visa Gift Card Company Profile