Vanilla Prepaid Cards

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

Vanilla Prepaid Cards Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanilla Prepaid Cards?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanilla Prepaid Cards?

Original review: May 10, 2022

Do not "GIVE" this company your money. After numerous calls (8) I finally got put on hold for 35 minutes, after hearing how busy they are "supporting customers during this difficult covid 19 time". A representative name Sky came on, she informed me that an educational company called MFC in Oregon, had been paid using the card at 3:47 pm. I informed her it was 3:31 pm right now at my location and time zones are hours apart. There was no resolution to where the funds went on my $50 gift card. The funds were used on 5/10/22 the day I activated and checked the balance on my card. She instructed me to call back on 5/17/22 to file a fraud claim, as there was no way to stop or reverse the transaction.

Original review: May 10, 2022

I purchased a Vanilla gift card for an online purchase, for the first time. They advertise it as being able to use it online, yet most online sites rejected it, because there is no zip code or address associated with it. They do not allow registration, not even a zip code. I called customer service, and was only able to speak to someone when I pressed: lost card. She confirmed that yes, it could not be registered, and she was sorry that all the online sites were rejecting it, but maybe other vendors might accept it. Do not waste your time and money on this card. It is useless.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 9, 2022

On April 23,2022 at 8:55am. My husband and I purchased a Vanilla Visa Card. The card was put up with its original packaging that it purchased in. The card was still wrapped up in the Walmart bag, along with the gift card gift box. We took the gift card to church on Sunday April 24, 2022 to give to the graduation recipient. On Saturday May 7, 2022, while I am out of town for Mother's Day. I received a message from the recipient stating that the card had already been used. Called the number on the back of the card, and it started that there was an issue with the card. It must be activated at the store that it was purchased at. Went back to Walmart, they said that they can't do anything we had to contact the company.

Called the number on the back of the card, spoke with a representative. She stated that it would take 45-90 business days for the investigation. Absolutely not, you didn't take 45-90 business days to take my money. It is not fair to paying customers to take our money and play around with your non-diligent efforts of resolving the issue. I further told the representative. That someone from the company must be writing the gift card numbers down and obviously are using them. Not only are they using them, you're selling them to merchants. Her reply was, "Well if that's what you think." What kind of response is that if your company is legally legit and running their business professionally. Now I would have defended my company to the end. It's not right that this allowed. People work hard for their money!! Vanilla need to right all of their wrongs!! Or either shut your business down!!

Original review: May 5, 2022

I, like many others here, received a Vanilla PrePaid Visa card that was declined because someone else had fraudulently used it and drained the balance. Vanilla PrePaid either has a very lax fraud detection system or is part of the scam. Either way, customer service is useless. Fortunately, there are many alternatives on the market. I would strongly suggest using another company. Retailers selling this company's crap should take note that they are dealing with a scam operation.

Original review: May 4, 2022

I could not get my 500.00 gift cards to work even though they both said active * 2 cards for 500.00 each. I called the number and they sent me to tech the next day my cards were empty. I called again and they were supposed to send me a dispute e-mail and I still have not gotten it. I have lost 1000.00 And no one is helping me. I am devastated. I get paid once a month and my money is gone.

Original review: May 3, 2022

I put $500 on prepaid Vanilla card, I purchased to pay someone with, so I sent it, they said it was declined, so I called, they say fraud. I said no, so they said it was taken off hold. This morning I receive an email saying the card didn't work, so I called the company. They refused to refund my money without filling out a fraud report which there's no fraud, but they said they would not refund my money till I can prove I'm the owner of the card, but am I, seeing I gave it to the folks for payment, they said there was too many attempts to use the card & wanted me to tell them what those transactions was, how the hell do I know. I gave to somebody else. So now I can't get my money nor can I use the card, and they think this is legal. Oh and don't try to call corporate office, they say that they don't have one. That's a lie, so beware. Do not use, request all the stores that carry this card to stop.

Original review: May 3, 2022

More than 3 months waiting they still investigating, every time that I call I get the same answer. Today I called and I was hung up twice!!!! Do not buy this gifts cards. (See more reviews.) Bought $500 and got a $246.54 unauthorize charges.

Original review: May 3, 2022

I received a $300 gift card at my retirement party but when I went to use it months later, the account had been drained with 60 transactions of $5 in a matter of three minutes months earlier. I filed a disputed transaction report (#**) and was told it could take up to three months for that to be reviewed. When I called three months later after not hearing anything, I was told the file had been reviewed and no fraud was found, and the file was closed ten minutes before my phone call. I filed a police report with my local Sheriff's Department (#22-002010). I filed a written report to Vanilla's Dispute Resolution Department by both email and snail mail. It has been over a month and I have not received any communication from them. PLEASE DON'T EVER USE THIS COMPANIES CARDS, IF YOU RECEIVE ONE, REDEEM IT IMMEDIATELY.

Original review: April 30, 2022

I received a $40 Vanilla prepaid gift card for my birthday in January. When I went to register it, I discovered it had nothing on it. Called vanilla who said there were 4 charges of $10 each for google play. I submitted the proper paperwork the next day to get my money back. They said 90 days to figure it out. I called today, one day before the 90 days are up and they are “still investigating”. This is ridiculous. It’s $40 and they have to work with google. Do not buy a gift card from them. They are awful!

Original review: April 27, 2022

I have tried to purchase LED lights on gosund.com and used my Vanilla Gift Card through PayPal. The charges were declined. However, Vanilla Card put a hold on $41.97 and will not release it. After spending 40 minutes on the phone the only answer I was getting, I need to wait 8 days. This is not a refund but a declined transaction. Why are they holding my money for so long? At this point, I hope to get it back but after reading many complaints from other customers, I wouldn't be surprised if they come up with more excuses. I have filed an official complaint at **.

Vanilla Prepaid Cards author review by Kathryn Parkman

Vanilla Prepaid Cards are simple prepaid cards you can use anywhere Mastercard or Visa is accepted. They are available at many retail stores.

• Cards available: Vanilla Gift and OneVanilla are prepaid cards without ATM access. With OneVanilla, you can add money to your prepaid card and funds never expire. MyVanilla is a reloadable prepaid debit card.

• Pricing and fees: There’s no monthly fee for MyVanilla reloadable prepaid cards. Cardholders are responsible for a $0.95 signature purchase transaction fee. ATM cash withdrawal fee is $1.95. A $3.95 dormancy fee is charged if your account is inactive for 90 days or more.

• Reload options: MyVanilla cardholders can direct deposit payroll, government benefits or tax return funds for free. Use VanillaDirect to add funds to the card or pay bills. Service fees apply to reload at stores.

• Mobile app: Get account alerts, track activity and check your balance through the MyVanilla mobile app.

by Kathryn Parkman ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs Research Team, Kathryn Parkman believes everyone deserves easy access to accurate and comprehensive information on products and businesses before they make a purchase, which is why she spends hours researching companies and industries for ConsumerAffairs. She believes conscious consumption is everyone's responsibility and that all content deserves integrity.

Vanilla Prepaid Cards Company Information