1.08/5

573 Vanilla Prepaid Cards Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I have yet to be logged in to this card. The phone recording says the exp. date is invalid. Not true. When I log in and type the characters over and over again (that I can BARELY see, it continually comes back with the statement: "Characters do not match the image below." Not true. This card SUCKS!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I received 2 prepaid cards as a gift to find out one of the cards was not activated properly. I called the customer care team and they fixed the card that was not working to find out the other card is now not working??? So upset that I have to keep calling them and they are not very helpful. I will never buy a visa Vanilla prepaid card again.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Debit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I purchased a MyVanilla prepaid card on 9-22-2018 and was told at register after I loaded $230 onto it would be immediately available for use. I went outside tried to activate the card and it keeps declining due to identity verify. I tried to return it right away within 10 min of purchase without even leaving their parking lot on 9-22-2018 as I couldn’t use it and was denied due to it being a prepaid card. I called MyVanilla card the same day. Set up a pin and gave my information. They said they couldn’t verify all. I would need to email them color copies of my ID, front + back of the prepaid card and copy of the receipt before would be activated to InComms email they gave me. I sent in the documents as they requested on 9-22-2018.

When I call them today 9-23-2018 to see if it has been completed I’m told they want color copy of my social security card now emailed to them. I don’t feel comfortable emailing them all my personal information they are now requesting I shouldn’t have to provide. I’ve already provided my state issued identification and proof of address and purchase of the card. I simply asked to get a refund sent to my address shown on my Id with the receipts and proof of card purchase. They are denying me access to my funds which I have proved are mine and have receipts for everything. This is not fair for them to take my money and hold it hostage while failing to give me reasonable option to release. I want my money returned to me. Stay away from this place unless you want to get robbed!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I got a $500 debit card for Christmas, and have been using it a little here and there. Today at lunch time, I checked my balance on your Vanilla website, and when I hit the "sign in" button to check balance, it displayed what looked to be scribbled letters. I tried it again, and the same thing. I signed in to the website just below with the same process. It let me in, and said I had $112.80 left. Great... When I got to work, I went into my eBay account to make a purchase of $96.00 and would not accept it. Impossible!! I just checked it less than two hours ago. I checked my balance on the website I knew worked, and it said my balance was ZERO!!! Somebody had taken my $112.80, and there was no way to contact the company, phone number or email. What a rip off, and nobody gives a rip because they already have been paid at the purchase date. I would not recommend that anyone buys this rip off. Get cash next time,

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Your site is a hazard to the security of any user who checks the balance of their card. Highly recommend some external pen testing to be contracted, too many cases of card details being stolen after checking the balance on your site. I hope someone starts legal action against you in the hopes you get your heads out of your behinds and look into these reports. Perhaps an internal audit is needed?! You obviously care more about the sale of the cards, versus the experience and security of the user. Plus your support is a joke, 90 days for a fraud review, goodness. Must happen so often you have a large backlog. Please for the well being of your customers and your business increase the security of your website and cards.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanilla Prepaid Cards?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

So I HAD Vanilla cards between my wife and I. We decided to go this route versus the traditional bank route, big ** mistake! These people are thieves and cannot and will not explain their actions! I enrolled in direct deposit for my work check and their big thing is “you’ll get paid up to two days faster.” NOT ONCE did I ever receive my pay before Friday, the regular scheduled day. And not only that one week it didn’t arrive until 9:00 A.M. on Friday so don’t believe that line of **! After three weeks of direct deposit I logged into my account and noticed that the status of my card said spend down instead of saying active!

After an hour and a half on the phone with nothing but complete idiots they go on to tell me that my card had been shut down because the user agreement had been violated, yet NOBODY has ever been able to tell me how it was broken!!! Pretty convenient that this particular card hadn’t been used any different than any of the others yet the only one with direct deposit is shut down!!! Coincidence, no I think not! It’s not a coincidence that they have a one star rating and this has happened to this many people! They need shut down, they’re thieves and messing with people's livelihood and money!!!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Do not purchase Vanilla Cards visa gift card are a scam and customer service is poor!!!! If I could give an evaluation with a black star I will give it but this option does not exist!!! I received a "Vanilla gift card" on September 6, 2018. On September 11 I went to Marshall (8661 Colesville Rd, City Place Mall, Silver Spring, MD 20910) to pay for a purchase. The cashier opened my "GIFT CARD VANILLA" but I could not pay with it because the transaction was declined. To check if I had done well, I returned home and checked the website of Vanilla Gift; Also call the consumer attention line to listen to the instructions. On September 15 I returned to the same Marshall store, to try to pay with that card and again the transaction was declined.

I call the number 1-800-571-1376 again and they tell me that the card has not been activated and that to investigate the reason why it has not been activated I must send a copy of my card on both sides, a copy of my ID and copy of the purchase receipt. I can understand that the company asks me for a proof of purchase but as a person who received as a gift the card VANILLA VISA GIFT CARD seems absurd to me!!!! There should be a way in the company so that representatives can give a satisfactory service to consumers that is not this!!!! My perception of what has happened is that it is the VANILLA VISA card GIFT CARD is a SCAM.

For me it does not make any sense to try to call back the person who gave the gift to know if he still keeps the receipt of purchase of the card, much less to ask him to go to the establishment where the purchase was made to obtain a copy of the receipt of said purchase. HAS NO SENSE. The representatives were professionals but what makes no sense is that the company puts them to provide such a poor service! DO NOT BUY CARDS "VANILLA VISA GIFT CARD".

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

Purchased card on 7-11-18 for 250.00. Used card one time at airport. Card was hacked Immediately. Called Vanilla One Visa gift card to report it. Talked to customer service rep. It's been 45 days and still can't get my money back. People! Listen up! Don't purchase this card - unreliable, not secured card, bad news! Purchase the American Express cards - secured and dependable. If your card is compromised American Express will refund your money Immediately! Still trying to get my money back from Vanilla One Visa gift card!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

Card was used for motel reservations and to pay bill. When trying to pay bill Vanilla they have slapped a 30-day hold on funds, $300, and no amount of talking to their supervisors will get them to release the money. Don’t use Vanilla.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

SCAMMERS. I got a call yesterday from "Publishers Clearing House". He said, that I had won 5 Million dollars and a brand new Mercedes Benz. I asked him, "Was this a scam," and he said, "NO Mam...You are a Big Winner, and we will fly to your city and present you with a certified check for $5 Million and a new car tomorrow at 11.30, and the tv station will be there also unless you prefer it to be private." Then I asked him, "What's the catch?" He said, "No catch... but you have to go to Walmart or CVS and buy a "One Vanilla" card and put $150 on it, and call me back to confirm that you have it, and then we will make arrangements to fly to your city tomorrow to present you with your grand prize." Well, I googled "One Vanilla Card" and read the reviews, and all of them were bad. People said how it is a scam... and DO NOT Buy a One Vanilla gift card!

I called the Attorney General's Office and the lady called me back today and I gave her the phone numbers they had called from as well as the number I was supposed to have called, once I bought the gift card with $150 on it, and she checked and said it was a Jamaica Number, and a SCAM. I asked if I could prosecute them, and because they are out of the country she said No. But to warn my friends not to fall for these scams. One Vanilla Cards, also are scams, so please don't buy them, as you will lose your money. The things people do to steal... amazes me. But I am not gonna fall for something like this. Publishers Clearing House (The Real One) does not ask you to do anything if you are a chosen winner. So please be careful.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I got a $500 card as a birthday gift. I use it a couple time without a problem but the third time it kept getting declined. The balance on the card was just a few dollars less than the total of the purchase so I was thinking I would apply it towards my purchase and pay the rest with another card. Not possible. It just kept getting declined. I even called the merchant and they tried to run the card on their end but it was declined by the bank (Vanilla Visa). So, unless the card's balance is same or higher than the purchase total you can't use the card. Or you have to ask a merchant to split the amount and charge exact balance amount first and then pay the rest with cash or other card. No online retailer offers that option. Not very convenient. I wonder how many people just get frustrated and leave the few bucks on the card unspent. It's a great deal for the bank as it all adds up I'm sure.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

Received $25.00 Visa debit card as a gift. Unable to use. Called Vanilla - company that issues gift card who reports they are unable to activate the card without a receipt. They report they are unable to refund the gift giver without a receipt. So - no instructions on card to gift buyer reporting need for receipt. No receipt. No money. Sounds like a wonderful investment by Vanilla to immorally gain money.

Original review: July 28, 2018

After providing information to register and check my balance online, I have been receiving non-stop emails for credit offers from random companies. I can only assume that this company misused my information. I also had a problem when I tried to replace a card with a remaining balance and was told I needed to provide the receipt from the person who purchased the gift card. Do not do business with this company.

Original review: July 24, 2018

The Vanilla gift card customer service supervisor is the worst... I lost a $25 dollar card. I called the 1800-571-1376 number and was given an email address ** and was told to forward the original receipt along with proof of address. I sent the email June 16.2018 attached with the original receipt and my ConEd bill. On July 23rd 2018 I received the replacement card. When I tried to activate the card I was ask for my DOB year. I told CS I was never ask nor told to give my year of birth. When I did give them my year of birth it didn’t match what they had on file.

Customer service then informed me that the person I've spoken with them 1st time no longer works for the company and that she entered whatever year of birth or my behalf. She apologized for the prior CS not answering me the question the 1st time. Vanilla gift card tells me this and then they doesnt activate my card. Now they want me to sent a copy of my driver license. I refused to send a copy of my drivers licenses. I don’t need someone from that company working out of a foreign country to steal my Identity. This company is a scam. Could you image all the other people this is happening to. I will never buy a card again. BEWARE. THIS COMPANY IS A SCAMMING.

Original review: July 18, 2018

Vanilla Gift Card (Incomm) located at (corporate office) 250 Williams St NW Fl 5 Atlanta, GA 30303-1032 phone number 770-240-6100 Brooks Smith-CEO, Phil Graves-Pres., but they will tell you that their address is P.O. Box 826 Forston, GA 31808. Vanilla Gift Card allowed a charge of $10 and $1 to process on a gift card that I personally purchased and when it was brought to their attention Incomm out of Atlanta REFUSED to refund my money. I have filed complaints with Better Business Bureau, Federal Trade Commission, and many other sites. PLEASE do not fall victim to the FRAUD/SCAM company and IF you do NOT buy any of their products you will be helping to put this company out of business.

Original review: July 15, 2018

Wow this card is **! Had no idea had to register and bunch of BS! Tried using card for bf acct and it kept declining sooo finally called CS. They told me since I tried to purchase more than I had on there it made it so I needed authorized action and now I can't even use my card till 17. 2 more ** days! My bf stuck in jail with no commissary. No nothing! This card's a BIG ** SHOW!!! Don't recommend to NOBODY!!!

Original review: July 11, 2018

I would like to provide you guys a review: you have to be the worst customer service company I have ever encountered! My mother gifted me a card worth 100$ and somehow it wasn’t activated at the point of sale... how would she know?!? Now I am trying to use it and your customer service team has asked me to ask my mother to go back to get the receipt. This doesn’t make any sense! I have used many gift cards and yours has to be the worst. We just lost 100$ cause your process is broken and your customer service is completely incompetent! You are the worst company - you really should be shut down by consumer protection agencies. You are cheating customers!

Original review: July 3, 2018

I am leaving this review because dealing with this company has been the worst experience of my life. I bought two prepaid cards for online bill pay. One loaded with $200 and the other with $500. 00. I purchased them on 06/30/18 at a Dollar General. Literally the very next day before I was even able to use the larger of the two there was a $500.00 deduction from my account. I hadn't done any transactions with it. I called in shock and not knowing how it could have happened. I called and spoke with two reps and a supervisor. I explained how the only interaction I have had with this card was when I had to activate it.

I spoke with one of their reps over the phone and she informed me that the card was activated, registered, and could be used now but not in the UK. How it could be anyone else except for the rep I spoke with is beyond me. The supervisor explained I would have to file a dispute that could take up to 90 days! That is insane for a card I never even got to use! This is the worst experience of my life. They never even notified me of such large transaction before allowing it to proceed. I will never do business with this company ever again!

Original review: June 25, 2018

I bought a 50 dollar prepaid card for my daughter as a surprise for babysitting, I have called customer service 3 times in 2 days trying to get the card to work & nothing... Instead they freeze my card & now I'm out 50 bucks & my daughter has no money now.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Was sent a Vanilla Visa Debit gift card for $200. After using it for two purchases totalling around $75 at Kroger gas and supermarket, I tried to use it to buy a sandwich the next day and was told my card had insufficient funds. The sandwich was less than $6. So I went online to vanillagift.com, logged into with my card info and found out that the remaining $120 had been charged online to SQ *TECH EXCHANGE at 1:30 in the morning, while I was sleeping. My story ends the way that everyone else is. I don't know how they get manage to keep selling cards but I will never see that money again. According to their site, you have to assign a ZIP code to via your account before you can shop online, which I did not do before the purchase was illegally made. Go figure. If you are unfortunate enough to be the recipient of one of these, I advise you to use it at a brick and mortar store and use the entire amount in one day before they can take it from you.

Original review: May 29, 2018

DO NOT BUY THIS CARD. THIS COMPANY IS A SCAM! My son received this card as a birthday gift from a friend. It was intended as a gift card but unless he registers it with very personal information i.e. DOB, SSN he cannot use it. I called and spoke to a customer service rep who said we needed to know the purchase balance. Since the card was a gift, we had to ask the person who gave my son the card. He said $20. I called again and was told that was the incorrect amount and there was nothing he could do for me. I asked to speak to a supervisor.

Again, that was a waste of time since she wouldn't do anything for me unless I knew the purchase balance. She suggested I contact the person who gave my son the card and ask them what the correct purchase amount was, again. REALLY! How embarrassing would that be to ask someone twice how much they spent on a gift. After reading all of the online reviews, I could not find a single good one. People buy these cards as gifts and the recipients are unable to use them. This is a total scam and people should be aware.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I purchased this card on 5/1/2018, it is now 5/25/2018 and we still have not been able to use this card. They have given me so many runarounds and I am over it. Their customer service sucks and give you no real RESOLUTIONS to the problems you are having.

Original review: May 24, 2018

This has to be the absolute worse excuse for a gift card ever. They have a rule that if you use the card anywhere that there might be a tip or an additional charge like a hotel, they only let you use up to 80% of the value initially. There is a waiting period, not sure exactly how long I've been told so many stories, before they release the rest of the money. Absolutely stupid rules. If you have a $50 gift card you should be able to use $50, no matter where you use it. It should not give you any more than $50 credit, period. I would not recommend these gift cards to anyone, they are really terrible.

Original review: May 16, 2018

It takes about 7 minutes to get through the automated attendant to speak with a person. I called to ask how I can protect this card because I was planning to mail it, and I had previously had cards in the mail stolen. It took a total of 29 minutes to get a person who told me how to put the card on hold or 'deactivate' and then I gave her a password that would allow the person who was receiving the card the ability to reactivate it. This was a gift for a customer. The last thing I want is to put them out by wasting their time. The spent time trying to get it activated.

I then called, and it took 31 minutes to get the card 'activated'. However, the second Customer Service Rep I spoke with claimed that they don't do activation, reactivation, passwords, etc. She told me someone else must have told me this wrong information (like a merchant). Well, I didn't dream this up, but she continue as though I had. I lost count, but think I was put on hold about 6-8 times. P.S. This is the first review I've ever done. Obviously, I'm not the first to have a bad experience with this co.

Original review: May 8, 2018

Was charged for items I didn't need at a Wal-Mart and asked for 110 dollar refund. Told it takes 10+ business days for the refund and customer service atrocious after reaching. Also card does not state it's no good for most purchases and not able to be used for international purchases... TOTAL SCAM and they will get your money and you cannot under any circumstances get a refund no matter how badly you want it. AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I purchased this card with $150 value to be able to shop online, and NOT give out my real credit card number. Well, I found about 75% of online merchants will not accept this card. The reason they give, after talking to their customer service departments, is "our payment processing gateway is not accepting this card!" The sheer number of such rejections leads me to believe this whole bunch of cards by Vanilla is flagged or auto-rejected in some way. The brick and mortar merchants: about half of them accept it and rest don't. If I can't shop online, this has no value for me. Do NOT buy this card.

Original review: April 22, 2018

I loaded a OneVanilla Mastercard at Walmart to purchase a drone on Amazon. The first transaction went through for 295.00 however I returned the purchase due to a defect. Amazon quickly refunded my $. A couple day later I attempted to use the card for $5 and the card was rejected. I immediately checked my balance and saw a pending transaction for $225.00 (that was close to the amount left on card which was less than $230.00). That was on Sunday 2/18/2018.

On 02/19/2018 I contacted a company representative and was sent a card dispute form via my email on 02/20/2018. I did everything by the numbers, made copies of the form for my records and a fax confirmation sheet. They tell you to wait 10 to 14 days before contacting them. Today is 04/22/2018 and I do not have a clue what the status of my complaint is. That's $225.00 I could have done something with. I never got the drone I wanted (my Christmas present from the wife). When I started looking I found out I am not alone when it comes to being ripped off and getting no help from this outfit.

Original review: April 21, 2018

We put $150 on this prepaid card through Dollar General yesterday. Her daughter went on a trip. She took it with her for food, tried to use it for dinner and it was rejected. So we get online to check the balance and it was at zero because there was a pending transaction through Amazon for $150. We then proceeded to call the company Vanilla Visa credit card company spoke to 3 different people all on different levels and they were unable to help us with the situation. They said we have to wait 45 days to get this resolved and they couldn't stop the pending transaction. So then I asked him if we could fill out a dispute form and he said. "No. Not until the transaction goes through."

How does this make sense if the products are not paid for on Amazon and they don't get it? So why let people get something when it's not their money. Needless to say none people that we talk to or any help they have none of our information. They're not even planning on doing anything for the situation. We have to call them back in a couple of days once that transaction goes through. I will never ever use this prepaid credit card company again and I'll be very cautious of Visa for them backing this company when they really have horrible procedures (or none at all) in an emergency situation. I will be filling out multiple reviews so that anybody who's looking for prepaid cards might have this information prior to. It was a big problem and solves not been resolved.

Original review: April 11, 2018

Got the Prepaid Debit Card for the very first time and had my whole payroll check direct deposited! I got a deposit on Monday, tried to use the card on Tuesday and did not work. I called customer service and found out that they put a Restriction on my card. I would have NEVER even know if I had not called in to customer service. They said I needed to send in identity verification and don't you think that I somehow should have been notified of that information. I emailed the requested information to email address they provided and did receive an automated email response that the information was received!

Called back today and they act like they have no idea what I am talking about, and that they did not receive the information and would have to resend it! I AM TOTALLY BEYOND PISSED!!! I submitted drafts for mortgage and car payments that now probably did not even go through because I did not know card was restricted, and cannot even buy groceries for my kids when my account shows over $3000 from my Payroll was deposited!!! WHO CAN WE CALL TO REPORT THEM, THE GEORGIA CONGRESSMAN, BBB???

Original review: April 6, 2018

My husband and I received a $100 Vanilla gift card for Christmas in 2014. Reading the back of the card there is no indication that they will take out a certain sum each month. We assumed there was no rush to use it. The expiration is 06/22. Tried using it today to discover that only $32 is left on it simply because they kept taking monthly fees out. This is ridiculous and outrageous! My poor mother in law thought she was being kind by giving us this card instead she was ripped off. Why is this even legal?

Vanilla Prepaid Cards Company Information