2. Finance

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

Vanilla Prepaid Cards Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanilla Prepaid Cards?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanilla Prepaid Cards?

Original review: Sept. 28, 2020

The Vanilla Prepaid Visa card is very reliable. You're able pay a bill that you wouldn't usually pay with your bank card instead of using your own bank card plus sometimes a Company Will still use your card at the you have contacted them and let them know that you don't want the product and to not use your card again, In other words you may try a product out and you don't like it and you want to cancel it you can't called the company to cancel it but they continue to take their mouth of your call.

I can speak of this because it has happened to me several times so now when I wanna try a product that I see on TV or the Internet I'll use a prepaid card that I put money on it and let the company get the purchase. If the product is not what they say these or I don't like it I'll call the company and ask them to stop it but sometimes they might stop it so I don't put money back on the card and I don't disused it with to the Vanilla card. It's using any prepaid card that you have to put the money on but you can't do that with your bank without people Having to have to calling them to stop payment and that could cost you. There are so many good reasons why a prepaid card comes in handy and is good to have. You could always purchase another one And this use it to your advantage.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2020

The biggest thing is that if the card has an expiry date then if the owner of the card still has money in it after the card has been expired. They should move forward that amount to a new card and send it to the customer with the left amount that wasn't used. Or card shouldn't have a expiry date and customer should have access at any time of their money.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2020

I was extremely worried after I purchased this card at Walmart, and it didn’t work right away. I looked at the reviews, and my fears grew. After looking at the website, I saw that the phone number was 3 digits too long. As it turns out, they have the correct number listed, it just has a 218 in front of the actual number that shouldn’t be there. I talked to customer service, and they said I had to wait a half hour to use the card after purchasing. I wasn’t very hopeful, but half an hour later, I was able to make my purchase with no issues. I’m very pleased that this wasn’t a scam.

Original review: June 9, 2020

I've used the Vanilla Prepaid Visa card for approximately 8 years. I use it for all of my direct deposits, and I've never had a bit of trouble with the card, company, or online system. The only drawback to this card has been the $0.90 charge each time you swipe your card. I usually take what I need in cash out with an ATM that's in the my vanilla network (it's only like a $1-something), to avoid those charges everytime I buy something.

Original review: May 3, 2020

They lock you out of your online acct and the only other way to contact them is by phone and they won't answer the phone. I have 80$ TracFone bill sitting. On hold for 1 and a half hours at a time till run out of min. Four times in a row then they are free to rape you blind. They scammed me out of 2300 to 2500 $ of my Harley money. This is just what america needs. A bunch of computer scamming diaper heads running our financial and banking institutes.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

I am in possession of 3 Vanilla eReward gift debit cards that are virtually useless due to low balances on each one. Why can't the balances be easily transferred to one usable card? Is this how they make their money? I highly recommend that you think twice about purchasing these "gift debit cards" for friends.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

Received Vanilla gift card for Christmas and was saving until I found something I wanted, never got a chance. I spent under 10.00 of my card, somebody else used the remainder. When I called about the charge was expected to jump thru hoops to get it back. Will advise my friends and family to never purchase these cards. Company does not care about their customers.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

Vanilla Prepaid card is the simple and quick way to add cash to a card, there's a small fee of $3.95. To reload your prepaid reloadable card, use Swipe Load. These cards can be redeemed at millions of locations where Mastercard and Visa are accepted, including at retail stores and online.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

I bought the Vanilla Card when my son was 16 for gas purchase. The charges to reload the card was like prepaying interest. Then...you have to go to Walmart to reload the Vanilla Card. You cannot preform this online. Then if you forget the password or pin, you cannot do this online either. Sometimes when we would call the customer service number, we would be answered by a hot girls on the phone or a make your selection that you cannot reach a live person. When you are lucky enough to reach a person, they were unable to preform what you ask without asking a coworker or consulting on how to do what you asked. I would not recommend this card to anyone.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

There is no way to reload these. You have to activate them online to use and you can't add a new one to your account. So you end up with multiple accounts and a pocket full of plastic with a couple bucks on each. Unless they changed it in the last few years since I gave up on them.

Vanilla Prepaid Cards author review by Barbara Friedberg

Vanilla Prepaid Cards are simple prepaid cards you can use anywhere Mastercard or Visa is accepted. They are available at many retail stores.

• Cards available: Vanilla Gift and OneVanilla are prepaid cards without ATM access. With OneVanilla, you can add money to your prepaid card and funds never expire. MyVanilla is a reloadable prepaid debit card.

• Pricing and fees: There’s no monthly fee for MyVanilla reloadable prepaid cards. Cardholders are responsible for a $0.95 signature purchase transaction fee. ATM cash withdrawal fee is $1.95. A $3.95 dormancy fee is charged if your account is inactive for 90 days or more.

• Reload options: MyVanilla cardholders can direct deposit payroll, government benefits or tax return funds for free. Use VanillaDirect to add funds to the card or pay bills. Service fees apply to reload at stores.

• Mobile app: Get account alerts, track activity and check your balance through the MyVanilla mobile app.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor