1.09/5
Based on 92 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Vanilla Prepaid Cards

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 22, 2018

534 Vanilla Prepaid Cards Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

Bought this card for my daughter and put $400 on it. It’s a prepaid card and in order to register it and use it we had to give all our personal information to them. Then was told that if we didn’t disclose all our information that the card wouldn’t be able to be used. And when I told them I would rather go get a refund and buy a different card I was told that I wouldn’t be allowed to. That I would have to wait on the company itself to send me a refund check in 7-10 days. Are you even serious?! This card is a total ripoff and customer service is no help at all. DO NOT BUY THIS CARD!!! This is a complete scam! I’m wishing there was a zero stars so I can pick that one!!!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I made a purchase on a disposable Visa gift card. When I went to use the card, the first purchase went through. The second purchase I made went through, but then overdrafted my account 32.65... which locked me out of my Apple account. I went ahead and made the purchase to reactivate my Apple account. I have been closely working with an Apple representative to get my refund back. I called in a month ago... and the supervisor I spoke to told me that there was nothing on their end. Let alone the customer service is atrocious... half the time they don’t know what they are doing or try and control the situation saying they could do what supervisors do.

So I made a ticket number 2 days ago... so that’s the only one that they were able to reference. I find it hard to believe that once their information is updated with prospective clients, that they would remove such information. As well as not having phone records or notes... to indicate that you have called in. (If there was a legal problem, they would have that information). I did everything I could to get my refund back... they instructed me to go back to CVS to track down a cash purchase. Where the place I go, nobody wants to do their job and are too busy to care about your concerns. As well as Visa Vanilla gift cards.

I just got done telling them, I went through the vendor, through the App Store now them... then they tell me to contact the vendor again... thus creating another string of hoops to go through to get my 32.65 back. But they’d love to give me a purchase, but don’t have records of me calling in. When I called a month ago, I left my name, address and phone number, zip code... and the purchase must be made through Apple. I was overdrafted by Visa. They are the financial institute that handles the money in the card for purchasing. So they are the one that overdrafted me, told me to pay the required amount to access my Apple account and finally I was credit for the mishap. Now they have no records of me calling... time frame of this happening in a month span time. So that is 32.65 I will never see again. Visa won and now has my money. Bunch of thieves.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

As of Friday February 9, 2017 my replacement cards has not been activated. Each day I call I am told the problem has been escalated and the card will work in 24 hours. Today is Thursday February the 15th. The card is still not activated. I requested a refund TODAY of the 347.00 on my Visa gift card and I was denied. I was informed I cannot receive a refund UNTIL it shows that the compliance team is not able or has tried to activate the replacement card. FYI: I have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau on Incomm. (770) 240-6100. 25 years in business. 250 Williams St NW Fl 5 Atlanta, GA 30303-1032.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

This card was given to me for my birthday by my friends. 250 CAD$. The card was lost. It was never activated as I called the card company to advise them. They confirmed me that the balance is intact as no one activated the card. That was in October 2017. We are now in February 2018 and I have still not received my card. They are so messed up, unprofessional, they have high level of bad management. No communication between operation and customer service as they only communicate via e-mails internally. The information that is given to you is never accurate. NEVER AGAIN. It's unbelievable.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

A $50.00 prepaid card was given to me as a Christmas gift. These cards do not have a pin number. 2 months later when I tried to use it for the first time at a CVS Store it was refused. I tried using it as a gift or credit card with the same result. DO NOT purchase these cards for anyone and should be banned as they are a scam.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanilla Prepaid Cards?

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

Visa gift cards are great because you can use them just about anywhere (except online... Amazon for etc). They won't accept it. However; the biggest issue is the service fees they charge. I was aware of them. No service fees for the 1st year once the card is activated. What they don't tell you is the card is activated once it is purchase, not the first time you use it. So after one year of activation, they will charge you $3.00/mo for service fees whether you use the card or not. They also charge a fee for when you buy the card. The fee depends on how much the card is worth. Like a normal Visa, there is also an expiry date. I would steer anyone from buying the Visa or MasterCard as gift cards. I'm sure they have similar policies. Instead buy gift cards for the retail stores you plan to spend it. I would suspect most of those don't have the same conditions where they penalize you for not spending the card quickly or right away. Good luck.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

My dad doesn't deal with banks but he needed a visa card to pay a bill so he bought OneVanilla. He tried to pay over the phone for the bill but was told the card wasn't fully activated till he submitted verified his zip code. I went to their website to see if I can do it online but there was no button to edit his zip code. I then called the number on the back of the card to do it over the phone. The representative then told me they don't accept my card. Which I responded, "That is weird because it is your card, I just need to add the zip code." She then told me she'll transfer me to another person who can help with the zip code only for her to hang up on me.

After doing this 2 times with them hanging up on me I decided to call again but ask for the supervisor. The third time I called however only had an option to accept $100 or hang up. The whole thing was really bizarre as it was the same number I was calling. I redialed the number several times with the same thing "accept $100 by pressing 1 or hang up". After not being able to talk to someone I ended up pressing 1. I was transferred to another representative which I quickly asked for the supervisor. I got a supervisor named Monica but when I explained the situation guess what? SHE HUNG UP ON ME. Now every time I call back I get a busy signal. My dad is going to try to return the card but One Vanilla are absolute frauds. You can't even use their cards and no one can help. Reading these reviews makes me mad. How is this a business that is in a lot of stores. Walmart needs to take them off the shelves.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

Received a card for $100 for my birthday. Went to use the card online and the transaction was declined. Went to use the money in the store and told it declined. I called the worthless customer service department and told too bad there is a zero balance and they can't help me... SCAM... THIEFS... CHEATS... Do not buy, do not trust them!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

So I bought this card from my local Wal-Mart after reading the back of the card. Seeing as there is no monthly fees, I purchased it and put my entire paycheck on it except $20. I only bought a prepaid card to use till I'm able to have direct deposits. Considering I work night shift, I'm not up at 9 am-4 pm to deposit it into my bank account. I go online to register, the system says the pin I entered was wrong when they didn't even ask for a PIN. So I called them to set it up. The woman on the phone couldn't hear a thing I was saying. She blamed my accent for this which I found slightly rude of her to make it seem as though it was my fault that she couldn't hear. I get off of work and go to put gas in my truck, the cashier (whom I knew) said that the card had been reported stolen. Strike 1.

Next night I call back & I get a hold of a man whom mixed his English with another language so I just apologized to him for not understanding and asked if I could speak to somebody else. He said yes and put me on hold for about 10 minutes, no waiting music or ringing or anything. Just silence, then hung up on me. I tried to call back and which this time it asked me to enter a PIN. Obviously I typed the last 4 digits on the card and it rejected it multiple times. Their website doesn't provide an email so other than writing a letter, there was no way for me to get in contact with them about the card. So about a week later I had my friend go buy the exact same card and I had to use her card number to bypass the PIN option to talk to another person. Turns out the first woman never even registered my card so when I swiped it, it was reported stolen.

The woman that helped activate my card suggested that I listen to the rules of the card, there is no monthly fee correct but only while you're using the card that came from the package not once you get the personalized one & there is a fee every 90 days, plus $4.50 to pull the money off the card, & 3.50 for every purchase. Then if you use the cash back option at a cash register it will charge you a whopping $8.00. You can't get the money off until you receive a personalized card in the mail as well. DO NOT PURCHASE THIS CARD.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

Disabled son got 25 dollar gift card from Grandma for his birthday and gave to him on 1/3/18. She used her social to setup in store. It locked up first try. Had to send in tons of crap to keep hearing the same thing. Call back within 24 to 48 hours. It is now the 17th and was told to call back in 48 hours to activate card.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

Customer service lied, called customer service 9 times. Each customer serv rep lied to us. Lied to a total of 9 times as to cause of issues with card. Was told by one csr that she had to let us go, we were using too much of her talk time. Other csr supervisor told us his boss would call us in one hour. No callback. Called back to find out there was no higher supervisors. Lied too more. After telling another supervisor the discontent we were feeling, he told us we couldnt even ask about the reason the cards could not be used because they were gifted to us by our parents as Christmas presents. One problem was the fact that the cards had an exp date of 6/26. The system showed my exact same card having a 2027 exp date on file with the company. Csr said that the ccv numbers were not the same in the systems as what's on the card. No one could help us make our purchase.

Told us that they were not liable for any problems with the card, customer service reps or the humiliation we went through at the store trying to use 3 different Vanilla cards. Each having a value of 100$ each. Csr's and supervisors took no responsibility for any issues we were having. Not the card, not the humiliation at the store, not the lies or poor rapport of the customer service representatives. We were told new lies every time we called customer service, forcing my husband and I to keep calling back to figure out what was wrong with our cards. We were even told that the cards didnt work because they were purchased with a check!!! Everyone knows that you can't buy gift cards with a check. It's cash or debit only. My parents only have debit cards and cash. They dont use checks. No csr/supervisor ever figured out what happened. No refund or compensation given. We now have 3 - 100$ Vanilla cards that we cannot use.

They will not issue us new cards or a refund check. We were told that my parents had to call them about the cards. This is after 3 hours of back to back calls trying to figure out why we couldnt use them. We were told not to call back. I'm sorry but if my parents give me a gift card, and I activate the card through customer service, it's MY CARD!!! Customer service was told over and over that the cards were gifted to me and my family as Christmas presents. Poor if not the worst customer service I have ever come in contact with. I will try to prevent anyone from ever buying a Vanilla card. No csr ever started a ticket for us. Even after speaking with 11 people between 9 csr reps, 2 supervisors in the 9 calls made to the company within a 3 hour period. I called customer service number 800-680-5941.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I purchased two $100.00 Gift Cards as gifts for my son and his girlfriend. I went online to confirm the balance on each. I had some trouble with the website and had to try 2x to confirm one of them. I threw away the store receipt after confirming the balances. This was at the end of November. The 2nd week in December I mailed a package to my son with gifts that included the gift cards. He opened the package shortly before Christmas and discovered that his card had a zero balance. I immediately called Vanilla customer service after my son texted me a pic of the card. They tell me that the 100 dollar balance was donated to The Lost Boys nonprofit on 12/5 located in Seattle Washington. I just received a denial for my dispute advising me to file a claim with the delivery carrier. The money was stolen before it was even mailed. I chose this card because there were no fees. NEVER AGAIN!!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I have been a customer for the last couple months. I try to do a dispute of some charges and no one is communicating about if I'm getting approved or if I'm getting denied for my disputes. The customer service representatives are very rude. Most of them seem like they are from another country but the ones that are from the US or seem like they are sometimes be helpful but everyone else that you talk to are very rude and they don't have any sympathy for what you're going through. They tell you that they're going to call you back send that information. They hang up on you when they place you on hold and I yet still have not received any mail in email or physical mail. Some of the supervisors are very rude as well. I will never ever in my life recommend my Vanilla to anyone. They do not listen to you. They cut you off. I'm very unhappy. I've never felt this way about a card company ever in my life. I will no longer be using them for anything.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

Although having some wait time, the representatives are very respectful and fulfill your needs with as little trouble as possible and give you the best possible result for your specific needs at that time.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

When I started using it I had no issue but immediately after reloading the card it wouldn't allow me to purchase anything through Google Play, DraftKings or other purchases. I choose this card because the fees were the best. I thought from the options I had put upon calling them tonight I was told I had to wait 1-2 hours before speaking to a representative, on top of that the website wont allow me in, just makes me type that crap that's hard to see over and over, and the android app wont work either... I have no way to view my balance. The card is registered with Google Play, DraftKings and activated by Vanilla. It's not right!!! Did they take my money or they or I get scammed. I don't know. It was 25 bucks but I'm not rich and I enjoy the little things. No bank account nor a PayPal account either... NEVER AGAIN.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I purchased 5+ Vanilla Visa Gift Cards for my friends as Christmas gifts. As far as I know, three of the five have been activated and used. No problem there. However, since I purchased too many cards, I decided to used the remainder for myself. I attempted to used one of the gift cards valued at $100 to which it was denied twice in the same transaction. This is when I learned that you must activate the card before use. Why buy a sealed gift card to which supposedly no one else can access just to activate it? If it's sealed it should be ready for use upon breaking the packaging. I tried to call and activate the card with the number on the card would not go through their automated system. I had to speak with customer service.

The phone call went like this. I called, told them I could not activate the card, they told me they did not have record of that card number and to send (e-mail) them all documentation related to that purchase (copy of receipt, ID and the gift card front and back). After doing all that, I received an e-mail telling me that I also needed to get a copy of ALL the gift cards I brought within that transaction and an electronic journal from the store location.

The store will not give me an electronic journal because I have a receipt. They are gift cards to which I have distributed as gifts!! I no longer have access to these items. So now I await for hopefully a refund of my money spent on this gift card. My advice to anyone purchasing or wanting to purchase a Vanilla Visa/MasterCard Gift Card - Don't do it!! Just don't do it!! You are better off purchasing a store gift card or some other gift card like America Express where it's guaranteed. I WILL NEVER EVER SPEND MY MONEY ON VANILLA ANYTHING!!!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

My mother, who lives in another state, gave one of these cards to my daughter for a Christmas present. Today we went shopping only to find out that this card was not activated and there was no money on it. I called customer service to find out what I needed to do to get it activated and they told me that I'd need the receipt to get it activated. I told them that since it was a gift I did not have a receipt. They told me there was nothing they could do without it. So now, my mother has given Walmart and this company money and we have absolutely nothing to show for it. I would recommend not giving these as gifts in case something like this should happen to you. If I could give less than one star I would. Very unhappy.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I purchased a 25 gift card for one our employees. Card expiration date is June of 2025 and has not been used. I called them on the 13th. Send it all the documentation required. Have been calling for the last 5 days and the issue is still not resolved. I spoke to a Supervisor this morning and all she could do is escalate and again it is not resolved. The worst customer service. I will not purchase a card again. I would recommend for no one to buy one ever again.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I wanted to buy Shark cards for GTA Online, so I thought I could do that this Christmas with 2 cards with 150$ in total value, one 100$ card, and one 50$ card. Tried entering it into PSN, only 50$ from the 100$ card was transferred. That’s it. Tried again MULTIPLE times, nothing else would work. Tried linking the cards to PayPal and using that. Still didn’t work. Tried MULTIPLE times too. Tried setting ZIP codes to both cards. STILL didn’t work. Tried purchasing cards from Walmart.com MULTIPLE times. Purchase cancelled EVERY SINGLE TIME. Spent 2 days trying to use these, including Christmas. For the love of God, don’t buy these for online shopping. Please don’t.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

With children scattered around the country, we’ve typically used Vanilla Visa cards for Christmas gifts. Thinking, apparently wrongly, that if anything happened and the card was lost or stolen, that it could be canceled, a stop spending issued or at least tracked to see if it had been used by someone else. In Key West, we are still recovering from Hurricane Irma. This year, funds are tight with all of our money going toward rebuilding our home and replacing lost vehicles etc. Even so, we managed to purchase our three sons and their families gift cards for Christmas in the amount of $500.00 each.

One of our son’s cards was stolen. We went to the Vanilla Visa website to find out what to do. The instructions were to call customer service “IMMEDIATELY”. So we did. We were told that the receipt that we had with the last four numbers on there was not enough for her to track the card number to see if it had been used or to stop or cancel it. That it was like “anonymously purchasing cash” and that there is nothing that they could do. Nothing! Now we’ve had to send the other son and his family another $500.00, that we really don’t have and I guess someone else is having a great Christmas on us.

After thinking that this is such B.S. and that if it happened to us, it had to have happened to others, so I proceeded to do some research that led me here, where I should have started, before flushing $500.00 down the toilet. A very expensive lesson learned but we will NEVER purchase these cards again and will make sure that our friends and family do not either.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

Like others was not able to create a online account. Also I am very upset that Vanilla Prepaid Cards stole all my money in fees. My account was completely drained, I had no knowledge that there were fees. I put $100.00 on the card and put it aside for when it would be needed, now I need it and it was gone. Customer service did nothing to help and said I should have known about the fees. There should be a class-action lawsuit brought to this company to give back some or all the money that they stole from everyone. We pay a fee when we put money on the card, there should be no other fees.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

My boyfriend and his electrical union Local 617 raised $3,000 in donations. Through a non-profit, they adopted 5 very unfortunate families for Christmas. We bought FIVE $500 Vanilla VISA gift cards, and five smaller gift cards to buy presents for the families. ALL OF THEM WERE STOLEN. They were purchased on 12/14 and by 12/18 someone used all of the money on the cards. Even though these cards were in a sealed package, so nobody could see the numbers. This company is not going to do anything for us, even though we have proof of purchase. They said they cannot do anything for at least 90 days, which I assume means nothing. This breaks my heart... All these families wanted for Christmas was food to feed their families. I really hope whoever stole this money needed it more than them.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

I love Vanilla Visa gift cards. I like to shop online eBay. I had to pay my bill today. I barely had enough money to load on the card. I got home and it said to call customer service. Said 0 balance and the card was expired. I just put $30 on it and I have proof... Customer service said they will email me. I'm so disappointed.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

I have received Vanilla Visa gift cards from my employer from time to time as bonuses or gifts. Unfortunately, I waited quite a while to spend one. When I went to register it online, I was unable to. Upon calling Vanilla, I was told that they had 'no record of the card being sold'. They told me I had to have the receipt for the card to prove it is legitimate, which of course I don't have. Someone is $200 richer from this, and I am disgusted. I was counting on the funds for a trip and have been left high and dry.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

I have gotten these several times over the years. The last two I got I waited to spend to get something I really wanted. I never used the cards but the fees involved to have these cards ended up draining the balance on both cards. I guess that's what makes it a successful business. Steal from people. $100 down the drain. This company sucks. You are much safer just asking a few hundred random strangers to hold your money.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

After purchasing this card which has a Visa logo on it so it should be good everywhere. I'm here to let you know it's only good in United States. You cannot purchase anything online overseas pay a bill overseas etc. supposedly because of the Department of Homeland Security. Which is a waste of space anyway. Customer service is all foreigners, I don't understand what employee ID number is and don't understand what a supervisor is. Over three to 4 weeks to return your money which joke with all the other nonsense of we need a copy of the card the receipt and a signed letter that you want to refund. They really need to list international cards in big bold letters on the packaging on the card itself and USA cards only.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

They locked my card after I loaded it up... When asked why that's when the bull started. They claim my birthday didn't match so they asked for my driver license which I submitted. Then they wanted my social security card then they wanted my recent bill. Then they wanted my marriage license. Still haven't gotten my money back. This company are a bunch of crooks.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I am going through a terrible experience with this company. I purchased a prepaid card and loaded money onto it so I could pay a bill online. I've purchased several other prepaid cards in the past and have never had any issues. I went home to activate the card and got an error message so I called customer service. They informed me that the brand new card that I had just purchased had already been attempted to be activated. The only option they had for me was to email them my ID, social security card and a utility bill. Then they would review it in 24 hours and send me a new card in the mail. That could take up to 14 days and I wouldn't have access to my money until then. This is just ridiculous. I will never buy one of these cards again. Wal-Mart prepaid cards are so much cheaper and easy to use. They actually let you spend YOUR money!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Account was blocked because they needed information, like my driver's license and my social security number with a utility bill. Then they blocked my starter card without me getting the personalized card! What the hell! Now the card is blocked from making a purchase! You can't even deactivate the card without giving your information. Don't EVER BUY A MY VANILLA CARD!!!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

Got a $25 gift card from my uncle as a gift. I didn't think much of it and told him thanks. Once I activated it and purchased something, the cashier told me the card only had 20 dollars. 5 dollars down the drain. I didn't think much of $5 so I let it slide. Second birthday comes by and he gets me another through the mail. My father told me to just thank him and not complain. So I do so. I activate it and this time it says it only has $5 on it instead of $25. This made me flip my **. I told my uncle and aunt to never buy these for anyone ever. They are frustrating, money eating, ** cards that I wouldn't give to my worst enemy, because then I would lose money from it. If you have a family member that buys this for anyone, tell them to stop.

Vanilla Prepaid Cards Company Information

www.vanillaprepaid.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use