2.5/5 (685 ratings)

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

Vanilla Prepaid Cards Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanilla Prepaid Cards?

Original review: Feb. 2, 2023

I received a Secret Santa gift in the amount of $500. The card has well over $300 left on it and it no longer works. I called the company and spent over an hour trying to get a replacement card and was on hold for over 30 minutes waiting for a supervisor because I was told that I needed to send them the receipt as proof of purchase. The fact that this was anonymous doesn't seem to register with their representatives. Maybe the company should hire people that are from the US who speak and understand English as their first language. After I was finally able to speak with a supervisor she said she would send a replacement card and it will take 7 to 10 business days to get to me. Pathetic.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2023

The first card didn't work and the replacement card doesn't work. After waiting for hours to discuss with a customer service rep and not ever being connected, I did research and determined that is their intent. A scam and I will tell my cousin to NEVER purchase these cards again for my kids.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2023

I bought my $100 at Walmart. When I got to my car I tried to pay a bill with it, it said declined so I called the joke of a customer service line, they said the card was not activated and it would take 7 days, after the 7 days the money still wasn’t there so I called them back they then said to send in a pic of receipt and my ID and card so I did, another 7 days, and still nothing. They said to send a pic of the receipt AGAIN, and still nothing, I bought the card 1/13/23. It is not 1/29/23 and the card still has $0 funds on it, I don’t know why we have to put any stars at all!!! This place is a fraudulent company and I have no idea how they are allowed to stay in business after they have already been sued for this very same thing!!! Trash!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2023

I received a $150 Vanilla Visa card as a gift. I went to use the card and it was declined. I called the number on the card numerous times with no answer. I tried checking the balance online but always got an error message. I finally reached someone after holding for 30 minutes who told me I needed to open a dispute claim by emailing a copy of my ID, copy of the front/back of the card and a copy of the receipt which I don't have because it was a gift. I'm not comfortable sending a copy of my ID especially after reading previous reviews. Thoughts? Is it even worth it to file the dispute?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2023

DO NOT BUY Vanilla Gift Card, unless you want to experience inconvenience, your money disappearing without a trace, customer service holding you on the line for 2 and a half hours, finally hearing from them that your funds are missing from the account. Allegedly they will investigate it. All I got is a case number after all the inconvenience, wrecked plans, and wasted time and nerves. It was my first and definitely last time using Vanilla Gift Card.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2023

I buy gift cards at Krogers and Walmart. The cards are empty when I open to use and customer service is a hassle to deal with. They do not reimburse your money often and sometimes they don't at all. Don't purchase prepaid cards. They are scamming.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2023

I could not use the card for the purpose I bought it for. I contacted customer service only to be sent to another person and of all things wanted to charge me 2.00 for it. Do not ever buy one of these useless cards.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2023

I bought a gift card. It was usable. I contacted Vanilla and received a form letter. A month later nothing has been done. They took my money and there is nothing I can do. This is a fraud. After reading other reviews, I can't see how you are still in business.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2023

I was gifted a 25$ Vanilla prepaid Visa for Christmas and activated it on 1/14. I went to the grocery store on 1/19 and it wouldn’t work. I then call the # on the back of the card and asked why? They proceeded to tell me it had a zero balance due to a purchase in the amount of 25$ to Apple on the very SAME day that I activated it. Following some research of my own, I found out that scammers go to stores and supposedly take pics of all info on the cards and then after they are purchased and activated they’re notified and can use them.

Now I don’t know if this is what happened with my card but I can say it’s either one of two things: 1) Exactly what I just explained regarding scammers or 2) this company is running an inside job. Whatever the deal is this is completely unacceptable. I have read numerous reviews with people on here saying this exact same thing happened to them. Vanilla corp takes no responsibility for any of these claims nor refunds anyone’s money! I agree with a previous complaint on here and I too will also be looking into starting a class action lawsuit.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2023

The gift card doesn’t work, when I enter the number, it doesn’t take, there’s an issue with it. When I call the company they never answer the phone. I also call the bank, and nobody respond the phone.

Vanilla Prepaid Cards author review by Kathryn Parkman

Vanilla Prepaid Cards are simple prepaid cards you can use anywhere Mastercard or Visa is accepted. They are available at many retail stores.

• Cards available: Vanilla Gift and OneVanilla are prepaid cards without ATM access. With OneVanilla, you can add money to your prepaid card and funds never expire. MyVanilla is a reloadable prepaid debit card.

• Pricing and fees: There’s no monthly fee for MyVanilla reloadable prepaid cards. Cardholders are responsible for a $0.95 signature purchase transaction fee. ATM cash withdrawal fee is $1.95. A $3.95 dormancy fee is charged if your account is inactive for 90 days or more.

• Reload options: MyVanilla cardholders can direct deposit payroll, government benefits or tax return funds for free. Use VanillaDirect to add funds to the card or pay bills. Service fees apply to reload at stores.

• Mobile app: Get account alerts, track activity and check your balance through the MyVanilla mobile app.

by Kathryn Parkman ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs Research Team, Kathryn Parkman believes everyone deserves easy access to accurate and comprehensive information on products and businesses before they make a purchase, which is why she spends hours researching companies and industries for ConsumerAffairs. She believes conscious consumption is everyone's responsibility and that all content deserves integrity.

Vanilla Prepaid Cards Company Information