2. Finance
  3. Prepaid Cards

4.2/5 (313 ratings)

About Netspend

Netspend offers prepaid debit cards from Visa or Mastercard with no activation fees and no minimum balance requirements. You can qualify for its services without a credit check. The company has multiple loading options, including by direct deposit, through your phone or at a reload station.

Pros

• No activation fee
  • No minimum balance requirement
  • No credit check

Cons

• Daily spending and withdrawal limits
  • Fees associated with transactions

Bottom Line

Netspend prepaid cards are easy to sign up for, and the company has no credit check and no activation fee for online orders. You pay fees monthly or per transaction, but the card doesn’t require a traditional bank account.

Top Netspend Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I've had Netspend for a while now and I love them. The app is amazing and I can get my paycheck up to two days earlier. Anytime I have any kind of questions, I can always reach th...

Verified

I'm happy to be with Netspend. I've been with them for years and I love it. In fact, I'm trying to get my mom and my sister to join it too. It's easy to use the reload locations a...

What is Netspend?

Netspend offers prepaid cards from Visa and Mastercard. These cards provide the convenience of a debit card without requiring a bank account. The company does not conduct credit checks, and the cards are a useful way to receive paychecks through direct deposit if you do not have a bank account. Direct deposit funds could be available on your card up to two days faster than a paper check.

When you sign up for the Netspend’s mobile app, you can check your account balance, send and receive money on the go, find the nearest reload location and check recent transactions. Netspend also features a rewards program and an interest-earning savings account.

Netspend’s services also let you transfer money from friends’ or family members’ accounts.

How does Netspend work?

Once you’ve signed up for a Netspend prepaid card, you receive your card within seven to 10 business days. There is no credit check, but you must verify your identity — the company limits usage on cards without verified identities.

Netspend sends transaction alerts to your phone so you know when you receive deposits, when transactions go through or get declined and when your balance is getting low. Netspend cards come with zero-liability fraud protection in case someone uses your card fraudulently. You can also enroll in a protection plan that covers overdrafts up to $10.

As long as you have funds in the account, you can use the card at any location that accepts Visa and Mastercard.

How much does Netspend cost?

Netspend does not charge an activation fee. When you load the card and begin using it, the company charges fees to your account. You can choose a monthly reduced rate plan or pay-as-you-go fee structure that charges per transaction.

Netspend charges a monthly rate of $9.95 or $1.50 per transaction. You can save on monthly fees by enrolling in direct deposit. Other fees for Netspend’s services include:

• ATM withdrawals: $2.50
  • ATM balance inquiries: 50 cents
  • Cash reloads: $3.95
  • Over-the-counter cash withdrawal fee: 2.75% of the total or $4.00, whichever is greater
  • Account-to-account transfers: $4.95 when done by an agent

There are no fees for direct deposit or paper check services if you use Netspend’s mobile app, and bill payment fees vary. If you do not use your card for 90 days, you will be charged a $5.95 inactivity fee.

Netspend FAQ

How long does it take to receive my Netspend card in the mail?
It takes seven to 10 business days to receive your Netspend card in the mail.
How do I get a Netspend card?
You can apply for a Netspend card online. You need to verify your identity, but there is no credit check required. The company asks you to provide your name, street address, date of birth and some additional personal information.
When will my direct deposit be available with Netspend?
When you enroll in direct deposit with your Netspend card, funds could be available up to two days earlier than a paper check.
How do I find my routing number and account number for Netspend?
Your routing and account numbers are available on your online Netspend account, by texting Anytime Alerts or by calling customer service.
What is the daily withdrawal limit for NetSpend?
The daily ATM withdrawal amount from Netspend is $940. You can withdraw up to $325 per transaction with a limit of six withdrawals in 24 hours.

Is Netspend legit?

Netspend prepaid cards are processed by Visa and Mastercard. While Netspend charges fees, its prepaid cards are available with no credit check. You do not need a bank account, but your card is eligible for direct deposits that can get you paid up to two days faster than a paper check. Netspend also offers extra features, such as a mobile app that lets you deposit paper checks by using your smartphone. If you don’t have time to get to the bank to cash or deposit checks, this convenience can help you pay bills on time.

Netspend Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Netspend?

Original review: April 28, 2021

I really like the service that Netspend gives me. I don't have to be upset when I talk to their reps. They can take care of whatever. I can call them and find out what I need to find out and if I need to replace my card, they’d do it in 24 hours, even over the weekend. I've lost my card three or four times. They would cancel the lost card, send me a new one, and I would get my money back. Also, I had them cancel orders. It took a minute to get my money back from one of those but I still got it back. I didn’t have any problem with waiting and what form I need to fill out. I've never had any bad experience with them.

When I'm on vacation and my check comes, my money would be there right on the card. It's different from having cash because the check would have been still in Minnesota. I really love that. Also, I get paid three days in advance and it’s a real money saver for me because I work Wednesday through Sunday. When I get paid on Wednesday, I can go shopping right away and get myself five days’ worth of food. And I can just go right on to the store and it’s never a problem any store I went to. The card is safer for me than having any cash and that allowed me to do a lot more. The one problem I have had is doing the income and state taxes and the stimulus check. I haven't been able to get that money back on my card. Other than that, the card has been the best route for me. It gave me more freedom, opened up my life, and changed everything.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 1, 2021

People were saying how well Netspend works. If you have any questions or problems with your card, they're very good at helping you and they answer your questions. So, I've had this card for at least six years and I like it because there's a monthly fee and they give you advantage. If you're short of cash, they give you a $10 buffer period and they don't charge you any fee. I have several cards and for emergency money, and one is paid to go and the other has a $5 monthly fee where you don’t get an ATM. They take the $5 out once a month. It sounds a lot that you’re paying that out of your money. But you can take as much money as you need without having an ATM fee every single time.

The team at Netspend are very nice. The only issue I have right now is I don’t like the automated system. I'd rather directly speak to somebody right away. Still, the experience with Netspend has been excellent. I had somebody take out money from my account and I got my money back within a couple of days. It was a small amount but still, it was my money. I have different accounts with different pins and special characters for safety reasons. The best thing I like about Netspend is that when you use the card, I have text alerts. So I know wherever I use my money and sometimes, I go someplace and I know exactly where I went and how much. It takes a couple of minutes and it posts my transaction right away. I get paid every two weeks and it can be two days early. So by the time I get paid, it'll let me know when I get paid.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

I needed a card because I wasn't able to get a bank account just yet. I was working and wasn't able to get a bank account, but Netspend was able to give me a banking and a routing number, so that was as good as a banking account. I was able to get my apartment because I had that Netspend card with the banking and the routing number. So it's not bad business. Netspend has been good to me. But I wish that I was able to get an extra $50 for my limit because being with somebody so long, there should be a trust factor. They could also offer something like a Capital One card but on a broke man budget for longtime customers or people with at least six months direct deposits to give some type of incentive as a valued customer because I've been with them for years.

I had a little problem because I had too many Netspend cards at one time. By accident, I typed in the wrong pin numbers for a card. So they locked me down on all of my cards, which I understand for security purposes. They wanted some different type of information and they said, "Well, if we don't get this, we can't let it go." But I already gave them my work background, my Social Security, and my birth certificate. If you got all the information that you need, and you do have a way, which I did and sent to them, they shouldn't put a hold on it. It was so frustrating. But at the end of the day, it was for my security and their security. I've always appreciated Netspend. They gave me my Chicago Bears card and once they gave me that, I fell in love.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

My first experience was when I did taxes back when they sent the Netspend card to start it off. I've been using Netspend ever since. I left my card at a smoke shop and somebody picked it up. I canceled it the next day, but some charges went on it after that time. I have several cards, but I have the stimulus on this card. So, I have to redo another card. I read up on the All-Access. I mailed an All-Access and I went to activate it, but it wouldn't allow me because the disputes will not be finalized until March 3rd. I'm upset about that. I went online to do the letter that they required. I thought I did it correctly, but I guess I didn't because they sent me a letter saying that they didn't receive it.

I'm learning as I go in regard to computer tech stuff, but in my talk with the representative, "Well, the disputes are going on and it's under investigation. And when it gets down on March 3rd, a decision will be made." However, for some reason, I don't know why she said I didn't file the letter. But it's okay, because he said I still get a refund, the dispute is in my favor, which it is because they have recording devices or cameras wherever the card was used. So, I’m sure it’s gonna be fine. Also, I've had problems with some communication. That bothers me a lot. I don't like to keep calling back until I get somebody that speaks fluent English. But other than that, I like the convenience of being able to receive or transfer money, or use a card online for PayPal or anything of that nature.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2020

I was looking online on my account and I saw two of $1 charges and $18.95 or something like that charges. I called Netspend and it turned out that it totaled up to $60 or $70 that came out of my account. They started the investigation, cancelled my card, sent me a new card out, and I had to pay to get a new card. The rep added that there was no other choice. She had to cancel it. That kind of upset me for the fact that I needed my card. My direct deposit was about to hit my account within the hour so it stressed me out because of the pay period. I just needed her to wait 10 minutes so I could go and pull out my money ‘cause I got a cash payday advance on my check at work. It was stressful.

Then they were telling me they’re sending me a letter saying that they're closing the investigation ‘cause I didn't send my written report stating that I wanted them to continue on with that. I thought all I had to do was on the phone since I didn't have no other choice. I'm kind of upset about that because they only refunded 20 bucks of my money and because I didn't do it within that certain allotted time, I lost out on $40. Granted, I did not know it was there, but since it was discovered and they put me all through all the hoopla, I should have had to send in a written statement on top of it, so I'm a little bit irritated with that.

But Netspend is the easiest among others. It's like one straight shot. Messing with Green Dot, messing with a Vanilla card, there are fees for this and that. People don't even have an option of doing a monthly fee or per transaction on some of them. I like the fact that if I have the money in my account and Netspend charges me for the monthly fee. If I don't have it, they don't charge me until the next time that I have money on my account. I like that feature. I also like the fact that I could do direct deposit. The customer service helps as much as they can other than my last experience that I was complaining about. But she still did what she was supposed to do and she was still awesome. She was willing to stay on the phone with me to go to the ATM to let me get my money out right then and there. And I got it. She's working and she couldn’t stay on the phone for the hour or 43 minutes.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

I really haven't had problems other than not being able to electronic deposit the covid checks into my card. It had to be done at an outside retailer. I really like having the option of putting my pictures on my card.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

I’ve lost my card, paid $29.00 to received a locked replacement card. Send in as proof ss, real id, & a updated gas bill as proof of myself. I was told several times by numerous staff & the fraud dept. That a check will be mailed out in 10 business days. Don’t worry. I’ve repeated this 10 days process for the last 60 days. Still no check!!!! I am so confuse w/ this card. I just want my money back. Pls help.

Hello,

Our records show that an agent from our Corporate Office has reached out to you.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2021

I was a customer for almost 20yrs w/ Netspend. I actually had checks I could write etc. In the past they were an excellent company but over the last 2yrs they have become scandalous & outright thieves! Add to that you can't get past basic customer service (which is a joke) to speak to anyone who can fix their mistakes! They are now running an unethical company & the fact the people running it can't be contacted in any way just goes to show how unethical!!! Insulated themselves from complaints or them having to do the right thing doesn't show open & upstanding behavior. It shows you're hiding from your responsibilities!!

They've gone so far as to take $500 cash & NOT RETURN IT! JUST KEEP SAYING IT'S IN THE MAIL, IT'S IN THE MAIL! WEEK AFTER WEEK AFTER WEEK. Heaven forbid you get upset & raise your voice cause then you're just hung up on w/ no other choice but to deal w/ the basic customer services. Workers who haven't a clue & don't care & won't help you even if their life depended on it!! It's sad that the bigger businesses get these days the less they value the people who got them there in the 1st place. W/out us consumers they'd be nothing, but they forget that & take advantage & trample all over our loyalty!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2021

I am a person who is not going to put my actual credit card online. I can always put a certain amount of money on Netspend and if somebody tries to hack it, they can only get what little bit that is on there instead of my entire bank account. My uncle wanted to get the same streaming television that I use. I told him, “Go get a Netspend card and put your money on that. Pay your cable streaming companies through that, so you don’t have your actual bank information online.” I do it that way because it works so much better. I’ve always enjoyed Netspend's service. Whenever I had to dispute a transaction, I would send emails. They are very expeditious when it comes to handling disputes. It has been an impeccable and very pleasant experience.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: Aug. 19, 2021

They show they send money back but then true to use card at ATM wouldn't work. Shows balance same balance before money added on card. Used phone system to check balance ànd when entered with social security showed dispute emberseed. When just typed card number said balance before dispute money was put they said my card wasn't working. Brand new card, first time used. I don't know why balance wouldn't show on card when was told it was put.

Netspend Company Information