2.32/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Netspend is a leading provider of reloadable prepaid debit cards in the U.S. Our mission is to empower the millions of folks who don’t want or don’t have a traditional bank account. Netspend offers more than a piece of plastic with numbers on it. With a Netspend card, our cardholders get a bank-issued, FDIC-insured account that’s complete with fraud protection and global acceptance. Cardholders can even use unique virtual accounts for safe online shopping. Netspend gives cardholders the convenience of loading cash at more than 130,000 locations in the U.S., and the peace of mind that comes with getting paid faster with direct deposit. If you already have a Netspend card, “Thank you!”

5116 Netspend Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: March 17, 2019

I just recently signed up for Netspend to get direct deposit from my employer. My employer sent the payment on last Wednesday and today, Sunday it is still not there. I have called several times and spoken to multiple extremely rude people that barely speak English. I am totally pissed and need my money. Netspend has til tomorrow morning to have my money on my card or I am calling a lawyer. I will definitely be changing my direct deposit. Do yourself a favor and stay away from this fraudulent company. My employer has verified the account and routing numbers but the customer service or lack of service person I spoke to says that they don't have it. That is a total lie.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Debit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 16, 2019

I was at work March 2nd 2019 and received 2 alerts that money was withdrew out my account 949.00 to be exact and I filed a dispute and was told that it was me. They looked at video. They dont even know what I look like first of all. 2nd of all how do you just close an investigation and say there is nothing else I can do but walk away from that kind of money when I'm telling them it was not me. They dont care. They will steal your money and say it was you that did it and you can't dispute their findings even tho I can prove it was not me. I been with them 10 yrs and they are losing a loyal customer.

Netspend response

Hello Sharee, After review of your account, our records show that a member of our Customer Experience Team has reached out to you. If you have any additional questions or concerns feel free to contact us. Thank you, Netspend

Original review: March 14, 2019

Please, please if you value your money. Again your money please do not use this card. Made a payment to a merchant that doesn't accept Netspend. To my surprise Netspend is holding my money hostage. My money is sitting in a pending transaction that is never gonna go through. But yet Netspend and their staff is refusing to put my money back into my account on a pending transaction which mean Netspend still has my money but is refusing to put back into my account.

They are thief. I willl make it my misson to inform customers that this card is a scam. No supervisors available to talk to you. Customers service representatives that refuse to give you their name. Am going through hell and back because this was a very important bill that I paid and the merchant is telling me they don't even have it in their system to contact the credit company which is Netspend. Which I did without. I still owe the bill and Netspend is again refusing to reimburse my account with my hard earn money. If you work hard for your money please, please don't use Netspend.

Hello Patricia,

I regret to hear that you have had concerns regarding the pending transaction within your Netspend account. My apologies for this inconvenience that you have experienced.

Please be advised that due to the fact that we are a prepaid debit card company, we do not share the same policies as a bank or credit card company. We do not have a system that shows us if a transaction was voided, cancelled, or refunded. Therefore, the reason why we request documentation to have funds released for records as well as for security purposes.

We attempted to reach you today in hopes to provide further assistance with the release of the pending transaction. Please reach back out to the voicemail or email submitted. You may also reach out to us so that we may provide you with a Netspend Representative for assistance with resolution.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I'm kind of freaking out now hearing all of these reviews from this year end tax returns. I have used them for a few years on and off and have used them for my tax return as well. I figured it would be simple and I'd receive my money when the IRS sent it out as I have before. Well I'm wondering how long it will take being that the IRS sent the funds two nights ago and I still have not seen or had any activity on my account. I called yesterday and was told to go contact whoever did my taxes because it was not there. I truly hope this is not going to turn into the experience so many others have had this year because I'm going to be in huge financial trouble this year if I don't receive the money in the next day or so.

I've never had an issue until the last phone call and began to search the Web wondering what happened with the customer service lately. I'll post hopefully with a good review tomorrow if all goes as it should. I am sorry to hear all these reviews. I never thought to check before sending my refund here this year. I guess I'll have to see.

Hello Kimberly,

We understand your reason for concerns, regarding the reviews but I can assure you that we will post your deposit as soon as receive it. Direct Deposits are posted 24 hours a day, except for weekends and federal holidays.

However, being a financial institution, it is important that all information is accurate especially when sending or receiving funds. In the event that your account number or routing is incorrect, your check will automatically be routed back to the originating bank. We typically advise that you contact the issuing bank for the trace number so that this issue may be corrected immediately. However, we were able to reach you today, and working to provide you with additional assistance. We appreciate your patience and cooperation. Once again, we apologize for any of this inconvenience.

Original review: March 14, 2019

We’ll Netspend, after 4 months of waiting on your such importance on locking me out of my account, freezing all chances of getting my money in real out really has me on the edge of my seat in looks of a lawyer. But not sure how to contain myself with the level of nerve your call staff has. God. 2 hours on hold just for them to suggest a simple call you back when you get this figured out on your account. As we can’t verify that you are who you really are over the phone has me literally in complete awe.

I have had a theft of the card roughly 3-4 months ago with you all and after filing a disputed charge there was an abruptness of lack of caring for your customer anymore like there wasn’t already a good paying customer who confided in the company. Here we are many, many days after the disputing was made (3-4months ago) and you have once again pushed limits of how far you can go with one's money without a lawsuit being placed goes. ANY contact back Would be obliged and appreciative to the fullest extents. Don’t forget to bring back the good in your company and please don’t make me make a fool of myself or the company’s sake in small claims circuit court. It’s not needed but is there a time and place for small claim courts? You bet.

Hello Garrett,

I am sorry to hear that your issue was not resolved and in regards to the customer support that you experienced. With this, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. Please be assured that we will continue to educate our staff to be more careful, attentive and service oriented when handling our customer requests and inquiries.

We attempted to reach you today, at the number provided within your Netspend account but no success. We are committed in providing high quality that meet the needs of our customers and would certainly want to provide the same to you. Please feel free to reach us further so that we can provide you with a Netspend representative to provide additional assistance.

Netspend

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Netspend?

Original review: March 14, 2019

I filed a dispute on 2/27/19. While on the phone filing this dispute I was getting text messages with a card ending in numbers that was not my card. Was told to be assure that I would be a refund on or before March 13, 2019. When I called on March 13, 19 I was told there was no error on my account and they could not find a card ending in the four numbers that they was sending text alerts about. And the whole time these text messages were coming to my phone I was on the phone with very rude agents that refuse to help. You can hear people laughing and talking about other stuff.

I even had an agent tell me I was getting Netspend text messages from my phone carrier like my phone carrier can send a message with the last four of a card and the balance to unless Netspend sends it. Then was told that I won't get my money back because the so called dispute team didn't find an error and the store and ATM on the dispute is 50 miles away from me. And I am on a scooter for disabled people and have a 9 year old son and I don't drive because of being disabled from an aneurysm and a stroke. So I can't walk the 50 miles and there is no buses that go that far out of the city and my scooter would not make it the 50 miles to the store without me stopping somewhere and charging it. And I can't take it on the highway because walking on the highway is legal but yet they didn't find a error. Yeah right. There's someone covering up for someone that is stealing cardholder money.

Hello Shirley,

I do regret to hear about the experience you have had with your recent dispute resolution, along with the experience you had with our customer support. With this, I would like to apologize for the inconvenience. Please be assured that we will continue to educate our staff to be more careful, attentive and service oriented when handling our customer requests and inquiries.

Regarding your dispute resolution, we would certainly want to take another review into your dispute, to determine any possibly new updates. However, we have had trouble trying to locate your account, to reach you further. The number provided along with this review was unable to accept voicemails. Please reach back out to us so that we may provide you with additional assistance. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I purchased a Netspend card while I was in the USA a few weeks ago. I called and inquire about the requirements and a representative knowing I was from Canada said I can buy it and activate it. Which I did and then I called after buying the card putting money on it at Walmart to later find out I can’t use it after. I submitted my Canadian documents as I was told to but they needed my utility bill when I clearly stated to multiple representatives that I live in Canada and only come to the USA once a month. This issue has been going on for 3 weeks. Can’t get my money back and can’t use the card and the representative clearly can’t understand a simple instructions. Worst company for prepaid debit cards.

Hello Dalton,

I regret to hear about the experience you had while attempting to activate your account. Please keep in mind that like other financial companies, we are required by our bank, as well as MasterCard and Visa associations, to be compliant with AML (Anti-Money Laundering) and BSA (Bank Secrecy Act) laws. Both laws require that all financial institutions verify the identity of each account holder. This verification process can and does include proof of address. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause.

Fortunately, a Netspend representative has been in contact with you today, to help provide you with further resolution to this issue. We greatly appreciate your patience and cooperation.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Don't ever use this card. Called to activate for a one time use, and I have to send them 2 different forms of ID and the blood of my first born son. All I wanted was a one time use card and they would not activate unless I send them this info. Also call center in India so their English is really bad!

Hello Rob,

I regret to hear about the experience you had with the activation process. With this, we sincerely apologize for this inconvenience. Please be assured that we will continue to educate our staff to be more careful, attentive and service oriented when handling our customer requests and inquiries.

Luckily, we managed to reach out to you yesterday and help you resolve this issue further. We appreciate your patience and cooperation, as we worked to resolve this matter and we look forward to you using your Netspend card.

Netspend

Original review: March 12, 2019

This company is an absolute JOKE! First they need to screen all calls than fire each and every one of their agents. They can't comprehend ANYTHING, can't speak ENGLISH to save anyone's life and any. And every time you ask kindly to speak with a supervisor they place you on hold 45 min to 1 hour then disconnect the call or transfer you back to the automated system. I am a Prime customer and only had to speak with CS twice regarding an issue but had to call in 8 times total for the issues that occurred on different days. The first time was because I believed my Mastercard was lost but more than likely in my vehicle that had just got impounded. So I called the company asking if there was any way they could transfer funds off my Mastercard to my Netspend Visa card and a nice gentleman told me, "YES. I can do that for you" and he did.

I then called back an hour later because I underestimated the amount I needed so I wanted another $250 transferred over and BOOM this lady told me, "No. Can't do that" blah blah. When I asked for a SUP she said, "Ok let me get one for you" and I waited for over an hour just to be sent back to the automated system smh. After calling back 5 additional times because every time my calls were being disconnected or transferred back to the automated system I finally got it done. Fast forward to a week ago, Amazon Prime charged my card that I didn't authorize at all. At the time it was only $2.17 on my bank card so at work I purchased a drink for $1.15 but then was notified that my account was overdrafted by $35. I had no idea so Amazon made the card overdraft then I got an $15 overdraft fee. Now another $15 overdraft fee for the $1.15 drink. I contacted Amazon and they apologized and took care of me.

I then called Netspend to have those charges reversed and was told they couldn't reverse them because the charge is valid. I argued with this lady for over 1 1/2 hours that it was not my charge but she kept telling she couldn't roll the charges back. I asked to speak with a supervisor and after holding for 1 hr and 15 mins guess what happened? Back to the automated system smh. Called back again and had to tell my issue again and asked for a supervisor... Guess what happened again? YOU GUESSED IT... BACK TO THE AUTOMATED SYSTEM... Called a 3rd time, explained the situation and asked for a supervisor and the last 2 agents name and was told they can't give me that info. Well why you can't because when they answered they said their name. I just didn't remember it because I was so pissed off.

Now today Amazon and Google charged my card illegally again so I'm in the process of filing a lawsuit against them and Netspend may just be next because now I'm overdrafted again with fees because of a charge I didn't authorize or give permission and Netspend can call and confirm. But now I gotta fight with reversing the charges again and I just don't have the time or patient. I would RUN from them as fast as I can. All the fees you are charged are senseless and not to mention my pay dates always change. One week I got paid 2 days (On a Weds) early like they advertise. Next time got paid Thursday morning, next Thursday night, next Thursday morning and since then I haven't got paid 2 days early so it's false advertisement. If these charges for fraud is not reversed I will be filing.

It's a shame your customer have to go through hell & high waters just for no assistance. It's a shame we have to speak to people overseas, we are Americans so hire some American well spoken English agents to better assist us. I'm not against people overseas working. I applaud them but they need to have their own dept for people who speak their language because it is a very bad language block and that's probably why we have to go through hell because they didn't or don't understand what we need, want and or asking of them. If I could rate Netspend -500 I would and I would not recommend them to a stray dog. Reverse the overdraft fees so I can afford to have money for my child or contact Amazon & Google to verify and confirm those charges were NOT authorized by your long time Prime Mastercard holder. Thank you!

Original review: March 10, 2019

My account was locked due to me losing my card. Buy a new one and trying to access my funds. I frustrated because if they allow me to transfer the funds then why lock my account. Also how long does it take to be unlocked.

Original review: March 10, 2019

I went into a check cashing place in North Carolina to cash a really big check. Somebody there suggested to put part of the money onto a Netspend card. I’ve had it for 17 years now. They are very simple to deal with and I like that. You either have money or you don’t. There are no overdraft fees too. You pay your five bucks a month and you’re good to go. You have a savings account that you can put things into. You can always have a real checking account and there are all kinds of options. Also, all my deposits come earlier than they’re supposed to. I suggest Netspend to everyone. Anybody who’s talking about banking issues, I always tell them to go with Netspend.

Netspend response
Dear Shauna, Thanks again for the wonderful feedback! We are so happy to have you as loyal customer. We strive to create features and tools that will benefit our customers.

Original review: March 9, 2019

I went to a Family Dollar and got announcement card thinking it was just like the other prepaid card for $20 on it just to pay Netflix because I don’t want my original debit card online store anywhere and I tried to activate it and I just recently got married so my Social Security card has not changed yet they said they needed documents to confirm my identity and mailing address. I sent them my license selfish on my address and my Social Security card and that wouldn’t get in the email. They needed more sauce in a marriage license showing where my name was what my Social Security card and was in the mail my voters registration and it still Wasn’t good enough so they emailed me back and they want more. What else could you possibly ask for? I called. They said I can use it online but I could get my money off there by using it in a store! It’s absolutely ridiculous. It’s a prepaid card. I will never use them again. I can give it -20 stars I would.

Original review: March 9, 2019

I like NetSpend. The only reason I would probably change is because there's no physical check that you can write from the account. But I've been able to manage my finances very well and when I contacted them for something, they figured everything out immediately. There was one time that I tried to pay off a credit card but I guess it never went through. It was like they couldn’t contact the bank through NetSpend. That’s what they said. It was weird. On the other hand, using NetSpend's reload locations is very easy. It's pretty close too, within the vicinity that I travel.

Original review: March 9, 2019

On yesterday, I called Netspend to see how I could transfer some of my tax refund when it posts to another account. I was told by one rep that as long as the names matched on both my account and the tax refund there shouldn’t be any problems with my refund being deposited. But he wanted to verify the info with the business department. I was transferred to the business account department and was told that both my federal and state returns will be rejected because it’s a business account. I asked to see it in writing where it states my money will automatically get rejected and was told I couldn’t be provided with it in writing. I informed the rep that nowhere on the paper that came with the card and signing up states I can’t get my money via direct deposit.

I am very angry at this point because that in turn will delay me receiving my money from the IRS once it’s rejected to 2-4 weeks after it is returned. This will cause a huge financial hardship to me. On Monday I will be reaching out to an attorney to see what my options will be when it comes to filing a lawsuit against Netspend. I strongly feel it’s my account whether business or not and I should be able to receive any kind of deposits in that account. I chose Netspend after being recommended by someone. Very disappointed, frustrated and angry with Netspend.

Original review: March 9, 2019

I have been a customer of this company for over 5 years. I never had any issues before. It is very sad that 1 particular party called in and made a false complaint against me and the company closed my account and the accounts of several co-workers, associates and family members whom I've referred to Netspend over the years without any warning.

I loaned a friend money to bail her troubled son out of jail when I got my settlement back in June 2018. Back then it was said that I'd receive those funds in August 2018, as they were expecting a lump sum of money. Lo and behold I never received the money. I asked about my money again in January and was told that they didn’t have it. However, they would pay it when they filed their taxes for the yr. Mind you I am friends with not only this individual's mother, but his sister as well. So, between the three of them. I was said to be going to receive my money.

The troubled son called me and asked me if I could tell him how to go about doing his taxes himself because he was tired of going to his local tax preparation company & in his words being ripped off. I told him that there were several websites online and briefly named a few. He insisted that he didn’t have a computer at home. I told him that a lot of sites have mobile apps. He overly stated that he had an Obama phone, without a touchscreen and had limited service in his area. About 2 days later the young man called me back and told me that his sister said that I am a really nice person. One who would go above & beyond to help others and with that respect. He wanted to know if I could assist him in filing his taxes online if he sent me his information. I didn’t see it as a problem! Again, doing so was beneficial to me also because I could assure that it was done and he had no reason to not repay me.

He sent me all of his information (ID, prior yr tax return, ss card, detailed wages, a w2 & 1099). I was kind enough to assist him. I made several calls to him in the process to verify the accuracy of information. When it got to the portion of the return when it ask if you want a paper check or direct deposit. He told me that he wanted direct deposit, so I asked him if he had a bank account. He stated that he didn’t have an account. I explained to him that his request for a direct deposit was impossible w/o an account. It was at that time that I told him that he could request a Netspend card online and have it for his convenience. Again he insisted that he lived in a remote area, had a phone with limited service and was unable to get online. I voluntarily asked him if he’d like me to request one for him and he said yes. So, I requested the card online for him and the company mailed it to him at his home address.

He called me and confirmed receipt of the card in fact. Thereafter, he continued to call me day after day about his anticipated direct deposit of his refund. His calls quickly became annoying. As I told him, I don’t see it appropriate for him to call me at 11pm or 6am. Additionally, I acted in a favor and I am not H&R Block. I provided him all of his information and he was to go and check himself on the IRS website under “Where’s my refund”. At that time he began getting impatient w/ me telling me that he has poor reception in his area. He proclaimed that the process of getting his refund hadn’t taken so long in previous years. I told him to call the IRS directly because there were said to be some tax reforms and thus it was causing a delay in the issuance of refunds this yr. The boy started yelling in the phone and insisted that I agreed to help him and that he was starting to think that I was trying to steal his tax refund at that point.

I was highly irritated and yet still I went online for him and screenshot his refund status to show him that it was still being processed. I ended my call with him and called his mother to tell him about his rude demeanor and false accusation. She was very apologetic and told me that he “had issues” & insisted that she was going to talk to him. Days went by and he called me again in the 6am hour apologizing for his rudeness previously explaining that he was under a lot of stress in his current living situation and it was starting to weigh on him mentally. It so happened that when he asked me to check his refund status online, he had a direct deposit date of 2/22/19. He was so excited about that, overly apologetic and continued to thank me for being patient with him through his foolishness. He continued in saying that he was going to repay me as soon as his money came.

I informed him that he should call Netspend ahead and make sure to update his email address and notifications in order to get all of his alerts because 2 yrs prior they’d released my refund a day early and I wasn’t aware of such because I wasn’t set up for notifications. Lo and behold, he didn’t get his refund a day early. He called me frustrated on 2/20/19. I told him that Netspend wasn’t obligated to issue it early and to be patient until the following day at least. To my surprise he called me the following day and cursed me out, proclaiming that I stole his check. I was very hurt and insulted all the same. I am a trusted and well known person, whom never imagined would be falsely accused of such.

Lo and behold I was able to compare the acct & routing # on his tax return with that of his Netspend card and found that there was a discrepancy. I’d inadvertently entered his flash pay ID # as his acct number. But, wth I'm not a tax professional and everyone makes mistakes. I insisted that he call Netspend to see what could be done to remedy the matter. But, by his words he stated “** Netspend”. He wanted his money. Then insisted that he didn’t need the damn prepaid card and did in fact have a bank account in the 1st place, overly stating that he just didn’t want his account # being known. He hung up on me, only to call me back and say that he’d been checking his account over the phone for days leading up to that day and that there was no money there.

Then he stated that when he called Netspend after he hung up the phone on me they’d stated that they had no record of his direct deposit. He cursed me out and told me that I better fix it bc he was going to report that I allegedly stole his check. Nonetheless, with his permission I called Netspend and asked general questions as to what would happen to an anticipated dd being that the FlashPay ID # was inadvertently entered as the acct #. I was informed that it would not be accepted through the EFT and would be returned back to the originator within 48 hrs. In which case the originator to Netspend was Civista bank (the bank for the software).

I called Civista bank and ask generic questions (not specific to his account). I was informed that when it was returned they’d be issuing a paper check directly to the individual by mail. I was also informed that the information would be available on TPG.com within 48hrs. They said that the whole process could take 5 business days before he got his check in hand. I gave the boy in question the web address and phone # for TPG direct. He started screaming at me telling me that he was going to call the Netspend co & the IRS and tell them that I stole his check. Then had the audacity to ask me if he still had to pay me the money that I'd loaned them in June to assist w/ his legal matter. I told him absolutely, he insisted that I should let bygones be bygones. Then stated that he was going to need to make payment arrangements at that point.

I got frustrated and called his mother bc again she was the one who essentially borrowed the money although it was for his sake. His mother assured me that she’d be sure that the money was paid even if she had to repay it herself. Later on the boy called me & basically asked me if he could set up a payment arrangement for his debt due to the amount of his refund and the fact that he was planning to use the majority of his refund to relocate. We mutually agreed that he would pay $1000 himself. His mother would pay some and his sister would pay some at a later time. So, between the 3 of them, I'd be sure to get my money.

The boy turned around and called Netspend and made a false accusation that I stole his check. Meanwhile his relatives have confirmed that he did receive the paper check from Civista bank for $5,362. He cashed his check in his home town in NC and even purchased a used vehicle with the money. I’ve notified Civista bank of this matter and I'm quite sure that they are able to trace the check. As, it pertains to Netspend. The company has now banned me, blocked my number and also closed the accounts of 10 people who I have referred over the years, including my former roommate & my spouse. They have notified each of the 10 customers that they were possibly the victim of identity theft. They in turn had each person send in photo ID, ss card and proof of residence to verify their identity and still closed their accounts.

My one friend and his wife whom are from another country and don’t speak English 100% have called me and asked me to assist them. I felt bad because they don’t quite understand why this is occurring and they have tried calling Netspend. But, Netspend doesn’t have representatives who speak Creole. These particular friends understood enough of the conversation that they knew that they had to submit documentation utilizing the given reference #. They attest that they have not gotten a resolution.

I’m really disappointed that this occurred. Not only have I been given a false name with this company over a bogus accusation. But, the company failed to do the research. It’s one thing to temporarily block the individual accounts until they can be verified. But, it’s another thing to permanently block their accounts and still request documentation and then never reopen their accounts. Meanwhile, those people are in need of whatever money they may have had. One particular person is pregnant & required to take a costly medication which is not covered by her insurance. Due to her high risk. She is out of work for the duration of her pregnancy and living on a temporarily restricted income. She explained that she had funds on her card and is now unable to access such and had to borrow money for her medication and for groceries.

This matter needs a thorough investigation. I’m totally disappointed Netspend. I received an update from 1 in 9 people that he was able to get a resolution. I’m thankful for that. But, Netspend needs to reach out to those other 8 people directly. Why are they victims of an accusation, it just makes absolutely no sense that a company would risk losing all these customers over such foolishness might I add.

I apologize to anyone reading this review for the length of it. But, seeing as to how the company just gives you the cold shoulder even after spending 2 hrs & 40 minutes on the phone and that customer service is inexperienced when it comes to problem resolution. This was my only means of giving a detailed explanation of the entire matter. I understand that the company may have had a concern for protecting its customers. But, this is all just ridiculous. Nobody wants to deal with unnecessary drama such as this and that of which this young man has caused. The fact that their accounts were verified with no resolution just doesn’t sit right. (Need I mention that he’s now confessed to his sister in regards to making the call which initiated this.) He needs to be held accountable for this.

Original review: March 9, 2019

I bought a Netspend card for direct deposit for my employer and gave my employer all the CORRECT account and routing info. My money was released and deposited from my employers M&T account to Netspend, they never deposited it into my account. And after calling and talking to them 11 times, giving them the trace ID for the direct deposit transaction, they still can't find my money or give me a straight answer where it is, just got the runaround from them, was even put on hold twice for over an hour each time til I hung up and called back after asking for a supervisor. This is a ridiculous situation and a even more ridiculous for them to handle it.

Original review: March 9, 2019

Updated on 03/17/2019: I made a previous complaint about Netspend. They're taking their time to get back to me. I'm going on my 3rd check and still no direct deposit. Nothing to fix the issue. I have children and bills to pay. They're going to shut my electricity off. Where is my money? I called Netspend. They want to put it into the investigation team again because it's past the timeframe. What happened to the 1st time you guys put it into the investigation team? This investigation team even real because nobody kept me up-to-date on what was going on. They want all the information again. What happened to the information I gave you guys the 1st time? Hey Netspend you wanna lend me the money from my checks that you misplaced or can't figure out where they are? I need $630 to keep my electric on.

Original Review: I work all week for my money and my direct deposit's not there. I never had a problem until I upgraded to the all access account. I have proof that it made it to the bank. I have proof I have a tracking number and for some reason you guys are not giving me my money. And for some reason any of your representatives can give me a straight answer. It keeps changing the answers. Keep changing. Are you guys gonna pay my late fees when I can't make my bills? Are you guys gonna feed my kids? Do you not understand even 2 days is not good when people have to live paycheck to paycheck? I can upload the picture of the tracking number and of payroll tracking in saying it's deposited into the bank.

Original review: March 8, 2019

My STATE deposit a check into my account 3 days ago. I have spent 10 hrs. on the phone today with NETSPEND trying to get this company to understand that the missing deposit needs to be tracked. The phone reps. are a joke. Not one person could tell me anything about the missing deposit. My State financial reps. also told them that this is the correct tracking numbers and they still say the tracking number is wrong. So I guess Netspend reps are stating to me and my boyfriend that the state of Ohio is wrong. We are done with this company and the non-speaking English people who answer the phones!!

Original review: March 8, 2019

I've been using NetSpend card for a long time and it has been good enough to do everything I wanted. I've always been real happy with it and I would recommend it to a friend. I have my stuff directly deposited and I use NetSpend all the time to for online transactions. There were a couple of times that Google would not take it though. That aside, I've never had a problem with it. Plus it's convenient.

Netspend response
Dear John, Thanks for the wonderful feedback. We are excited to hear that you are very happy with our card.Your positive feedback also helps us to recognize the work that we are doing well.

Original review: March 7, 2019

If indecisive on whether to use or not, DO NOT! Representatives can barely be understood and hang up on you every time you wait to speak to a supervisor. They rejected my refund, money I desperately needed because of no other reason than poorly trained employees and lack of communication. They have no desire to make things right either! Save yourself the trouble and take your business elsewhere!

Hello Darik,

I regret to hear that your Tax return was rejected and sent back to the IRS. With this, My deepest apologies for this inconvenience that you have experienced.

Luckily, we have successfully reached out to you today and provided additional assistance. We appreciate your patience and cooperation, as we work to resolve and rectify this issue.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I walked in an H-E-B and my son was getting direct deposit. I needed to get it on a card so I bought a Netspend card. I looked on the internet before I got it. I asked people about it too and they said the card was excellent. With Netspend, I get paid five days early. When I cash a check and my money has gone into my NetSpend, I can have a little bit more extra on my card and I can use it. And it's not all at once. With my direct deposit, I get an email saying that it’s gonna be on a certain day and it’s on there that day. Loading it is easy too and there's no charge when you load it at H-E-B. Another thing is Netspend has courteous customer service. When you have to ask a question, they answer it right away. They’re all excellent.

Netspend response
Dear Roxann, Thank you for the great feedback! We are excited to hear that you are very happy with our card. We strive to create features and tools that will benefit our valued customers. Your positive feedback also helps us to recognize the work that we are doing well.

Original review: March 7, 2019

Updated on 03/12/2019: My name is Sarah ** I wrote a review almost a week ago because I haven't received my SSI direct deposit for $2300.00 that was deposited by SSI on Tuesday March 5th 2019 at 3:12 p.m... that has been verified. The very next day I checked my funds and there was nothing there so then I wrote the review on here the very next day.

On Thursday March 7th 2019 I received a call from a "Daniel" at the Austin Texas corporate office of Netspend and he assured me that it takes 3 to 5 business days for routing/account transfers and he told me to check my balance on Friday March 8th 2019 and it should be there because he assured me it was "en route" because he verified that. He said the "worst possible case scenario that it would absolutely 100% for sure" be there by Monday March 11th 2019. Well, that was yesterday and yesterday my money wasn't there and today Tuesday March 12th 2019 my money is still not there!! Daniel gave me his "personal line number" and assured me if my money wasn't there by Monday the 11th to call him. Well, I've called and all it does is ring and ring and I was finally able to leave messages so I've called I don't know how many times but I've left 5 messages and still no response or call backs.

I worked hard with my disability lawyer for over a year to finally get my SSI, been in and out of court and I finally got approved and now I feel like I've been stolen from I am in tears right now. I was depending on this money and I'm about to be kicked out in the street about tomorrow Wednesday March 13th if I don't pay my rent. I am 24 hours away from filing a lawsuit against NetSpend for this. This money is traceable! I am an invalid with epilepsy and I do not deserve this I need to hear something from NetSpend immediately or the next 24-hours a lawsuit will be filed and SSI is backing me up all the way. My new number is ** which has been updated in my Netspend account which I receive my text alerts through. MY email is **. I will not stop until I receive my money!!!

Original review: I activated my Brinks prepaid MasterCard activated (Netspend is the same company) and I have verified through the Social Security Administration that my 1st lump sum back pay payment of $2300 was deposited yesterday morning. And it is now the next night and my money has still not shown up. When I called them they said, “We haven’t received anything yet, but as soon as we get it, it will alert you via text messaging.” Still nothing!! I went through hell and back with a hired lawyer, in and out of court to finally get approved for my disability and then this happens. And nobody knows where my money is. I have verified that SSI DID DEPOSIT THE MONEY YESTERDAY!! I am so angry. I am disabled and now I feel as if I’ve been robbed...

Hello Sarah,

We understand and regret to hear that you have not yet received your deposit as early as expected. However, we appreciate you taking the time to speak with us further, today.

As mentioned in call, Netspend does not have control over when direct deposits are sent to us. Please take into consideration, there is a 3-5 business day for ACH (Account and Routing Number) Transfers to be completed. Rest assured though, we will always post your deposit as soon as it arrives and we apologize for any inconvenience.

Your patience has been greatly appreciated.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I'm giving my experience one star. Unfortunately I have to because if I didn't I wouldn't be able to write this review. I'm beyond irritated. I've been verifying my account and I still don't have access to my tax money!

Hello Kevin,

I regret to hear that you are unable to access your funds, within your blocked account. My apologies for this inconvenience that you have experienced.

I have checked your account and our records do show that there is a temporary hold on your account. Like other financial companies, we are required by our bank, as well as MasterCard and Visa associations, to be compliant with AML (Anti-Money Laundering) and BSA (Bank Secrecy Act) laws. Both laws require that all financial institutions verify the identity of each account holder.

However, Netspend will not prevent you from accessing your funds as we are committed in providing high quality services that meets the needs of our customers, like yourself.

We have attempted to reach out to your directly, by phone and email, for further assistance with access to your funds. Please feel free to respond directly to the messages or by emailing us at social@netspend.com so that we can provide you the access that you need. We appreciate your patience and cooperation.

Original review: March 6, 2019

First off, I have never had to jump through as many hoops using a prepaid card service as I have with Netspend. My first issue had to do with a mailing address, apparently when you activate your card you can't use a PO box (they should maybe mention this somewhere on the packaging prior to loading the card with money because you can't use that money until its activated, this "feature" almost got my electric shut off????) and I couldn't use my physical address because I live in a rural area and it was "invalid".

Then my account got locked because the original card was about to expire and we had to jump through hoops AGAIN over the whole address debacle???? Now, for some ungodly known reason, my paycheck has yet to arrive. All day I have been waiting for my direct deposit so I can do things like PAY MY BILLS! But nope, not today. I did call customer service (which seems to be Netspend's go to solution for people complaints on this site) and oh my word what a joke! The guy was completely incompetent. The phone call started as normal wanting my name and etc. So we get done with the formalities and I said I had some questions. *silence* I said "hello" 3x before the person thought to respond. He said he was waiting for the account to load.

I said, "That's fine but can I ask the questions while waiting?" *silence* again had to say "hello" 3x for a response. After that little dance I asked why my check has yet to show up today when on any other payday it would have been in by 1:30-2 EST, phone call was about 4 or 5 in the evening. Then guy goes to talk about how SSI checks and when they are distributed by the government... Not at any time in that call did I say anything about SSI, I was asking about a PAYCHECK from a CORPORATE company. Long story short, I get off the phone with no answers or solutions.

After this paycheck (if it's recieved) I will more than not be taking my business to a bank, where I can count on my money actually showing up when it's supposed to. Looking from other comments from years past, apparently this is not a new issue. People not receiving their money when expected has happened before. All I want is my money to pay my bills, why is that so hard?!

Hello Sarah,

I regret to hear about the inconvenience that you have experienced. My apologies for this inconvenience.

A PO Box is not allowed as the "Residential Address" because the address takes part in the identification verification process. The system that Netspend uses does not verify PO Box addresses.

However, we can certainly deliver your mailings and card orders to a PO BOX address.

We have attempted to reach out to your phone and email, to assist you with this update. Please feel free to respond directly to the call, email or reach out to us for further assistance.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I have been using NetSpend for years. They have a couple of reloading locations near me so it's easy to reload. Recently, somebody tried to steal some information off the internet and the NetSpend called me right away. They sent me another new card. I'm currently happy with my experience. My whole family also uses NetSpend and they don't complain.

Netspend response
Dear Shiree, Thanks for the awesome feedback! We strive to create features and tools that will benefit our valued customers. We are so glad to have you as a valued customer.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I don't know if this is still Netspend's fault or my employers but it has been happening a lot since October 2018. I have been with NetSpend for many yrs. This has become a problem since October 2018. This was part of an email they sent. "We wanted to contact you and let you know that our bank's processing partner experienced a technical issue that may have caused the delay of your direct deposit on October 15th, 2018 or October 16th, 2018. As soon as we received your direct deposit on October 16th, we processed and posted it to your account." Is this still a problem with NetSpend because I haven't received my check today it should have been here today.

Hello Jacob,

I understand that you have concerns regarding the timeframe for when you are to receive your employer's direct deposit. My apologies for the inconvenience that you have experienced.

As for the events of October 15-16, 2018, due to a technical issue with a major banking software provider, some deposit files were delayed. The issue has been resolved and since then, we have taken measures to prevent this from occurring in the future.

Unfortunately however, as the recipient of your deposit, we do not have control over when it is sent to us and/or when we receive those funds electronically. Rest assured we will always post your deposit as soon as it arrives and we are currently not experiencing any delays.

We have attempted to reach you by phone and email with no success, but If you have any questions or concerns regarding this information, please respond to the call, email or reach us further via email.

Original review: March 5, 2019

This service has started to cause more issues than benefits to the consumer. There's never a clear answer and it's never any acceptance of fault even though I'm able to clearly able to see when my employer releases funds.

Hello Ty,

I regret to hear that you had some bad experience with Netspend's Customer Service. With this, I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience that you may encountered. Please be assured that we will always continue to educate our staff to be more careful, attentive and service oriented when handling our customer requests and inquiries.

Our company is committed in providing high quality services that meet the needs of our customers. Rest assured that we would want to do our best to rectify this issue and provide you with a better resolution.

Please reach us, so that we may have a Netspend representative contact you directly to provide you with further assistance.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I purchased 2 Netspend prepaid cards adding 250.00 to each card. I purchased at my local grocery store. Well I have yet been able to activate them. Upon trying to do so I was told they were already active and that I was not that name listed on the account. How is this possible? I purchased these 2 cards. I have the receipt and the cards as well as the boxes they came in. I took pictures of this as well as my social security card, my driver's license and a picture of my proof of residence and sent it over to Netspend for them to respond. No further action is being taken at this time. So I am out of 500.00 and no one can give me an explanation as to how this happened or what I can do to get my money back. I've dealt with Netspend for years but this really disappointments me. Everything is always all good till you have an issue then it becomes your own problem I guess.

Hello Margie,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We regret to hear about what took place with your card loads and would like to help you.

After review of your account, our records show that a member of our Customer Experience Team has contacted you in regards to your concerns. If you have any additional questions or concerns feel free to contact us directly.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I literally called 7 times about the fact that my direct deposits are being held. They put me on hold, and then they waited at least 45 minutes just to hang up on me. I need my money within 24 hours or I will be filing a lawsuit.

Hello Hayden,

Thank you for reaching out to us in regards to your deposit concerns. We would like to apologize for any inconvenience caused by our Customer Service Representatives and will be sure to follow up with the agents you spoke with.

After reviewing your account, our records show that a member of our Customer Experience Team has contacted you in regards to your deposit concerns. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact us directly.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I have had my Netspend account for more than 5 years and never had an issue. However, today I received a transaction alert via text that $400 was withdrawn from my account at an ATM at 6:41pm. I immediately called customer service because I was sitting in traffic on the highway on my way home and hadn’t used my card since that morning at a grocery store. I looked and made sure I still had my card in my possession so how was someone able to withdraw funds from an ATM with the exact card number I had in my hand. The representative opened a claim and cancelled my card and told me I have to wait 10 business days before I will find out if I can receive a provisional credit. She also said that it could possibly take up to 45 days to complete the investigation. WHAT? Why?

How is someone able to take money from an ATM without my physical card? And why do I have to wait 10 business days? This is insane and I really need my money NOW! She also expedited me a new card but I had to pay $25 to receive it in 1-2 days. Smh. This is insane and I don’t know what’s going on but I’ve been a loyal customer and to have to wait 10 business days for MY MONEY someone stole from me is crazy. I’m livid.

Netspend expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Netspend is an American provider of reloadable prepaid cards and other financial services. They have been in business since 1999 and work with more than 10 million consumers to make purchases and pay bills, according to their website. Netspend offers FDIC-insured Visa and MasterCard prepaid cards. This is important because not all prepaid cards offer FDIC insurance. But note that prepaid cards do not help you build credit even though you’ll see a Visa or MasterCard logo on the card. Visa and MasterCard are only the payment processors for the prepaid cards.

• Prepaid cards: Netspend offers prepaid cards for Americans who either don't have a traditional bank account, such as checking or savings, or who can’t get a decent credit card due to a poor credit history. These consumers are often referred to as “the underbanked” because they lack access to traditional banking relationships. With a prepaid card, consumers load their own money onto the card. The card can then be used to make purchases. For those who don’t have a bank account, this is especially helpful for making purchases online or when you need to pay bills.

• Costs: There is no cost to open the account. There are three purchase plan options to choose from, including a pay-as-you-go plan.

• Corporate cards: Netspend has many prepaid card solutions for corporate clients that are useful for both employers and employees.

• Widely accepted: The company has over 70,000 distribution locations across the country and 130,000 reload points where consumers can purchase and reload their prepaid cards. These include retailers, convenience stores, grocery stores, check cashers, pharmacies and tax preparers.

• Customer Support: If you need help, you can contact Netsxpend via email, snail mail or phone. If you decide to call, customer support is available seven days a week.

• Best for: Those who can’t get a traditional bank account but need to make purchases and pay their bills. Also, these cards can be used by companies who want to use prepaid cards to fund a variety of situations, such as paying an employee’s bonus or managing employee expenses.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg