Consumer Reviews and Complaints

NetSpend has made a major difference in my life. I am struggling with trying to rebuild my credit and could not get a checking account so this card satisfies all my needs. I love the convenience, accuracy and ease with my card. I recommend it all the time to people. Thanks to you all.

Love the service and the card, customer support is awesome, would recommend to friends. Would like to be able to transfer money easier, but can handle the app pretty well and if I need help, support team is there to help.

I've used NetSpend for quite a few years now. It's a great prepay card out there. I receive my social security check 3-4 days early. I'm able to transfer/receive funds between my son. The NetSpend app and text alerts allow me to keep track of my spending habits. Whenever I've had to contact customer service (which isn't often) they are always kind and professional and resolves my issue in a timely manner. This is one of the best decision I've made concerning my finances. The option to save money is easy as pie. Thanks NetSpend for your wonderful product and ease of use!!!

I have enjoyed my Brink's card. They have treated me with top notch customer services. I will not leave this company. They keep their customers happy at no cost. Brink's have solved every problem I have had in the past and some are still pending but I know they will make sure I'm happy. Thanks Netspend.

On 5th 2017, I started getting text alerts from you guys that my card was being used for purchase in store, at this time I was at home. I called you guys and told card service the problem. They acted like it was me that was wrong, I asked them to look at the use of my card in the past to see I do not order stuff online. They blew me off, so later that day I called again, told me to go online and fill out this form, which the link they gave me was wrong. So I called for a 3rd time, after explaining I filed a police report and contacted a lawyer they start action on this, at this time my husband track down the phones where this card was used and stopped payment.

After calling all these people and you it took 25 days get some of my money back, I am still short $248.00, so I am guessing that will be your service fee. As you can tell we have not added any more money to this card and do not plan to until I feel that it will be safe. I am very disappointed that I had 3 of my family members get this card from you guys. I had advise them to close their account due to your poor, no service when we needed you. Your service department has no manners, and are very rude. Thank you for your time.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NetSpend?

Hello La Dean,

Thank you for your feedback! We are excited to hear that you are very happy with our card. We strive to create features and tools that will benefit our valued customers. Also we truly value our cardholders and aim to provide the maximum customer experience.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2017

Your customer service exceeds all of my expectations. Customer service is friendly and understanding. I am treated with respect. All of my concerns have been addressed quickly and fairly. I am very pleased with this bank. I do recommend this bank to my family and friends.

Hello Cynthia,

Thank you for your feedback! Your positive feedback also helps us to recognize the work that we are doing well.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2017

I needed to obtain a card so that I can be able to send money to my son who's out of state, and so I got two from NetSpend on the same account and put my son's name on the other. Setting up the direct deposit was easy and then I'd do an internal transfer of money online from one account to the next. I usually do online since it's free and easy, unlike using the automation which charges my account each time. I've been with them for eight years because my money would be there a day before my deposit is expected and I can also hold my savings and regular money without dealing any banks or credit unions. I would highly recommend them to a lot of my friends and family.

My paycheck was deposited in good faith by my employer. NetSpend said it was never sent. After a day of phone calls still no money, have the transmittal numbers. The call rep and his poor customer service chuckled when I told him he was breaking the law by withholding my money. Goading me on requested to speak to supervisor 35 times during a 50 minute phone call. No results. No money.

Resolution In Progress

NetSpend wouldn't activate the visa debit card, wouldn't allow me to spend ANY of the money I put on the card, canceled the card, and then wouldn't issue me a refund. After nearly a month and 30+ hours trying to get my money back, I've just come to the conclusion that they are a completely FRAUDULENT company.

Hello Jeanette,

We appreciate your feedback! We truly value our cardholder's and aim to provide the maximum customer experience. Your positive feedback also helps us to recognize the work that we are doing well.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2017

I had to have $50 left in my bank account and when I tried to get it out, the bank started overdrafting and would take the $50 and plus. I've closed that account and started having my payroll checks sent to my NetSpend card, which has worked out well for me in the long run. I've had Netspend ever since and now have my retirement and my Social Security direct deposited to my NetSpend cards.

I like my experience with NetSpend. I don’t like to carry a lot of cash on me at one time so if I have to I might carry $20 on me for small things. The only thing I can’t do with my NetSpend is paying my rent. They won’t do it through NetSpend and I have to pay it by cash, check, or money order. Also, when I was going to rent a car because mine broke down, at least one place that I went to would not take a NetSpend card. But other than that, I haven't had any problems with my NetSpend card and I've been satisfied with it for quite a while. The reps have been cooperative with me and if I had any issues, I call them and they help me get it taken care of.

I filed a dispute for unauthorized charges on my card. The representative promised to file the dispute and close my old card and order a new one that I would receive in 10 to 12 working days. I do not know if the card has been order by looking at my account through the website and I have not been contacted about the dispute. On top of that I have been charged a $15 overdraft fee. The unauthorized charges on my account has not been removed and the fee not reversed and I am in the dark about my dispute. Overall I would give a failing grade to the company's effort.

Hi Romero,

Thank you for taking the time to provide this valuable feedback concerning the recent customer service that you've experienced.

We assure you that it is always our objective to take care of our cardholders’ interests. Please contact us at social @netspend.com so that we can assist you with ordering a new card.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2017

I use my card for ordering over the internet... And paying bill over the phone, Netflix and cell phone. It's great. I love it!! I would and have recommended it to many of my friends!! It's a great tool for internet shopping and bill paying!! I'm glad I ordered it!

Hello Reba,

Thank you for your feedback! We are excited to hear that you are very happy with our card. We strive to create features and tools that will benefit our valued customers. Your positive feedback also helps us to recognize the work that we are doing well.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2017

I've had a wonderful experience with NetSpend. Before I had it, sometimes when I went through my regular banking, I would have so many overdraft fees. That wasn't very good because by the time I was able to get paid, a lot of my check has been taken in overdraft fees. But with NetSpend, I've been spending very responsibly since.

Their team has been very nice and I haven't had any problems with reloading the card. The only thing is that at the beginning of the year, my card expired and I got a new one. I had some things that were coming out on automatic pay every month and it was an inconvenience to have to call them and give them my new card number. Besides that, I live in a big city, don't like taking a lot of cash with me and the NetSpend card makes it so much more convenient knowing I can just stick it in my pocket or run in the store with a little pouch. Also, it's very convenient to use it for online purchases.

This company sucks. I been with them 15 years and they still can't do things right, non-English speaking agent that I can't understand and I have direct deposit with these people. I'm going back to a regular banking account.

After a lengthy chat with the people in the Philippines call center (not US-based or operated), I was transferred to a manager who hung up the phone on me, and reported my card lost or stolen. This means I have to wait a week for another replacement card, but they didn't order one for me. I had to call back and demand one sent 2 day mail. There are no resources for you to speak to someone at the NetSpend company or at the Bancorp bank. They all go to a call center overseas.

I will be pushing legal action.

Dear Mary,

We appreciate your feedback. We are glad to hear you are satisfied with the service we offer. If there is anything else we can do to assist you, please contact us at the number on the back of your card.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

I like the experience of using a NetSpend card. I don't carry cash and I do a lot of shopping online. I've recommended NetSpend to a friend.

Hi Eugenia,

Thank you for taking the time to provide this valuable feedback.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

NetSpend was like debit cards, they don't have outrageous fees. Their representatives have been fine for the most part too. I use the direct deposit and it was easy to get it set up. Since using NetSpend card, I was able to save, by being able to keep track of every transaction that I make so I don’t go over. Then the overdraft protection helps me a lot. I also use the card to shop and pay bills online but since last year, it's not letting me pay my bills through Puget Sound Energy.

Please be aware of fees. Initial fee on $100.00 was $5.95. I do not know if they take a percentage or a fixed fee for any amount on the card. In addition, with every purchase they charge $1.00. There was endless confusion with the temporary and permanent cards and their activation. Customer service is in the Philippines. Very nice people, but somewhat limited help. This card is a lot of trouble. I would never use it again. I do not know why anyone who can have a regular credit card would choose to use a card with such high fees and problematic customer service.

Hello Keisa,

Thank you for your feedback! We are excited to hear that you love our card. We strive to create features, such as early direct deposit that will benefit our valued customers. Your feedback also helps us to recognize the work that we are doing well.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2017

Thank you Netspend. This card has been a huge asset in my everyday life. The convenience of online bill pay, text message account updates. I totally LOVE the two-day early pay bonus! Direct deposit made simple and on time, oops before time???

Hi Wendell,

Original review: Feb. 7, 2017

I ran into an issue around New Year's and their customer service reps explained to me what needed to be done. I told them that I had already paid the guy at Domino's Pizza in cash and they still had pending charges. I tried swiping three different times and it kept saying that it didn't go through, yet money was taken from the account. They said it was left in pending. When I explained that to them, they went ahead and they released it to me. The service was good and I wasn't on hold too long.

I like that every time I swipe my NetSpend card, it sends me a text message about what I purchased and what my balance is. It helps me because I try not to carry cash a lot. Also, I love the whole two days direct deposit because I get paid two days before my coworkers do. I've recommended NetSpend to my roommate and he signed up for it. Also, told a coworker about the whole two days faster payment and she signed up for it as well.

It's a great card. I love how I get my money quicker. I like the flash pay from card to card. I think customer service is excellent. I have had my card for about 6 or 7 years. I love it. I have had a few issues but they have always been taken care of quickly and efficiently.

Resolution In Progress

I asked for a detail of charges for the month of February to be sent to my email and I have yet to receive it. That was Saturday two days ago. I was told I would have my account information in 24 hours.

Hello Tina,

Netspend

Original review: Feb. 6, 2017

We love NetSpend and we've been with them a long time. We use the card to get our bills paid online and buy groceries. It's without a doubt a lot easier. However, their customer service tends to get a little frustrating when I get someone who doesn't understand English or speaks very broken English and I tried to explain to them over and over again that I do not understand what they are saying. Not too long ago, I went in to order cards for my husband and I because ours is gonna be expiring the next month. They've explained to me somehow that I couldn't get a card yet because there were three active cards on the account. I said there weren't and yet we didn't get it resolved. We got my husband's card but I never got mine yet so I'm going to deal with that shortly. Other than that, the card is nice to have and the fee is fine. In all the years that we've had NetSpend, this is the first time I ever had an issue.

I love NetSpend due to the fact I get paid two days earlier than my coworkers, I have easy access to my account online through the app, I get text messages with my balance and for these things I am grateful for NetSpend and would recommend it to everyone.

I have been getting my payroll checks sent to NetSpend since Sept 2016 and already they have messed up! All of a sudden they wanted documents the same documents I opened the account with! When I asked them about my payroll check they said it's pending till I send more documents! What the hell! They couldn't verify me all of a sudden, so they froze my card and wouldn't give me my check! I sent the documents again. I also asked them cause I called for 8 days and I was always some BS "Well we need more!" What the hell are you talking about? I think I have beyond the sending of documents!

I asked them "HOW DID YOU VERIFY ME AND MY CHECK 2 WEEKS EARLIER THAT WAS ON MY CARD?" "Well it was verified by the head office where the checks go!" I said "you people are stupid! Give me the number to the main office that verifies the checks!" "I can't do that." I have been going through this since Jan 27 and to this day nothing has been resolved! I sent a complaint to the BBB because there should not be that inept people working customer service! I told one of the customer service people to get me a floor manager, "I can't understand you and you can't understand me." She said she would get the floor manager and she put me on hold. After 4-5 mins I was disconnected! This happened 3-4 times since I have been trying to get this crap straight!

I will never recommend this prepaid card company to anyone! They are dishonest and they definitely don't have their information right! Every person I spoke with had way different things to say! From "Your check has been declined and sent back to the issuer" to "It's pending and all we need is your verification documents." How have you been verifying my checks for the past 5 months? Never got a straight answer!

So now they finally gave me a TRACKING NUMBER for my check they said they sent back. Only problem with that is I can't find anywhere to track anything but a NetSpend prepaid card and that's not going to work cause it's NOT a card! I'm so angry and dismayed that I can't see straight! Don't have any food in the house, can't pay bills! It's very bad business cause I gave them everything they wanted and more and just kept wanting more! I even knew exactly how much my check was! Didn't matter! So be careful if all of a sudden they want documents!

I'm satisfied and my experience with NetSpend was surprisingly pleasant. There was nothing complicated about using or reloading. In fact, the process was very simple. I'm glad I found out about NetSpend. I have already told family and friends about it. Give it a try.

Hello Tracey,

Thank you for the 5 star rating! We are excited to hear that you are very happy with our services.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2017

I get SSA and with NetSpend, I get my money a little earlier than the third. I like that I can do the text messaging alerts, too. When money comes through, it's telling me it's right there. And when I send money, it lets me know how much is left. Also, I always have great customer service when I call. Even when I use the Secure Inbox on the site, I've never had a problem ever. Everything has been great with NetSpend and if I have a concern, I call and it may take a few hours or days but they get it solved.

Resolution In Progress

USE GOBANK OR A WALMART PREPAID DEBIT CARD - THEY DON'T CHARGE YOU TO USE IT!!! When I contacted them regarding starting up an account, They neglected to let me know that they were going to charge me $2.00 for every time I used the card as Debit and $1.00 for every time I used the card as Credit. I noticed it about two weeks after starting to use the card and contacted them.

The first time that I contacted this "Company" they told me that the information was in the startup packet, which I went back and read, it was in the 1-2 font size within the asterisk quip at the bottom of the fourth page. This is something that I would have never started to use, if I had known that and was aware of this. Future consumers beware. They will rip you off and not feel bad about it. I don't like to give bad reviews, but this one is definitely in need of being done!!! Now I can see how they can afford to put up the 2 minute ads on every Television station! They use the shady theft to cover their costs!!!

Hello Dottie,

Thank you for your feedback! We are excited to hear that you are very happy with our services. Your positive feedback also helps us to recognize the work that we are doing well.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2017

I love NetSpend. I've had it for four years now. My sister suggested it to me. I'm able to manage my finances a lot better. I like the texts that I automatically get. That's really great. I like being able to know what I've got and not have to worry about it. I wouldn't have any other ones. I had a different one before but since I've been on NetSpend, I like it so much better and it's so much easier. I have direct deposit which is really nice, too. Also, their team has been very helpful. I recommend the NetSpend card to a lot of people.

NetSpend the greatest, the real prepaid card. Since I received my first NetSpend card I have had and still use my card for everything from paying bills online (which I did not do) to just knowing my funds go straight to my card has given me PEACE OF MIND. Will continue to let others know about my story. "You go NetSpend."

NetSpend Company Profile