Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Dear Jose,

Thank you for your feedback! We're glad to hear you are happy with the monthly fee plan and savings account. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to assist you.

Original review: April 12, 2017

I needed a card to buy online and I saw NetSpend had a plan for $7 for all transactions. I've done direct deposits and setting it up went smoothly. Also, my card would make little savings besides direct deposit and make another little account for transferring money for the savings. Furthermore, my NetSpend card is secure.

Dear Gladys,

Thank you for your feedback! Your feedback also helps us to recognize areas of focus, we truly value our cardholder's and aim to provide the maximum customer experience.

Original review: April 11, 2017

I found NetSpend through my sister and I've been with them for a couple of years now. If I didn't like it, I would have stopped using them a long time ago. I do online transactions and I like that I get my check a day or two earlier. I have also used the reload locations but not that often. These locations were close to me but if I can't find one, I'd look it up. Since I've been with them, there was just that one thing that was charged in my account. When it happened, I had only $10 in my account and I went into overdraft. It was about $15 for the extra money that was charged to my account but they took care of it right away and they put the money back to my account. They sent me an email letting me know that they looked into it about 45 days ago and then they gave me a message the other day that they closed the case and they reimbursed it. I was satisfied.

Hello Shaquona,

Thank you for your feedback! We are excited to hear that you are very happy with our card.

Original review: April 6, 2017

NetSpend is very helpful to me. I highly recommend this card to everyone. From depositing checks to getting direct deposit it is perfect and easy to use. So convenient!! I use it every day. You can either do credit or debit. The fees aren't too much and the app is great. The text message is also very helpful.

Dear Shannon,

We appreciate your feedback. We are glad to hear you're satisfied with your card and the features we offer.

Thanks,

Netspend

Original review: April 16, 2017

I have been more than happy with my experience as a Netspend customer. I can use my prepaid card anywhere that Mastercard is used. I can pay my bills with ease, both over the phone or online. I can make purchases in person and online. My account is very secure. I had an experience where someone tried to hack my account and the company was able to stop them before it happened. Anytime I call customer service they are always very nice and always handle my needs. Very pleased. I will never close my account.

Resolution In Progress

On April 6 2017 I used my Netspend Visa to attempt to withdraw 300 dollars at a RaceTrac ATM in Garland, Tx. Attempt was declined and I was given a receipt. On my second attempt I was given 300 dollars. That was the max you could withdraw but my text alerts said I withdrew 600. I immediately filed a dispute. Wrote the letter and emailed Netspend the receipt that showed my first attempt declined. As of April 13 2017 no resolution and none in sight. Worst experience ever. Totally dissatisfied. Out of 302.50. No help period from Netspend.

I've been with NS for over 5 years. I was ok with the card until recently when someone stole my account information and stole over $130 at a Walmart in Texas. I live over 500 miles from the location that the charges were made at. Whomever stole my information made 3 back to back charges before NS locked my account. I filed a dispute with NS about the charges once I checked my email and noticed the alerts. It's obvious that NS know and/or suspect that the charges are fraudulent because they locked my account. Not to mention. I was at home paying bills on the card during the time of the transactions.

Note I worked in accounting and with credit card merchants, disputes and settlements for over 20 years. Trust me, the bank (your cardholder) does not have to wait 10 to 45 days to reverse the charges on your account if they are caught prior to them being paid. I called within 24 hours to report the charges. NS has made a choice to make me wait for my monies. I don't need to do business with a company who treats their customer like this. Not to mention they email and tell you the same scripted BS when and/or if you have a question about anything.

Do not use NetSpend!!! They are a sham! I got my income tax over a week ago. I was approved by Liberty Tax & the IRS but NetSpend will not approve access to my funds!!! They are extremely unhelpful, rude, & scams! They require a picture via email of your social security card, ID, & proof of address. I sent in a letter from Pendot, a summons from a court house, and a few other documents from Liberty Tax, & they refuse to exempt them. It is completely ridiculous that I was approved by Liberty Tax & the IRS but NetSpend refuses to give me access to my account. They also refuse to provide a Corporate Office or Legal Department contact information.

I am currently in the process of taking legal action against NetSpend. They say they will send me a paper check in 10 to 15 business days. But they refuse to refund the $50 fee & all the charges they have added for me trying to gain access to my account. I am extremely dissatisfied with NetSpend. They are a scam. Go to Walmart & get a prepaid card. There are less fees & your money will be available to you when YOU need it! After all it's your money you should have access. Please really consider using any prepaid card other than NetSpend!!!

Pros: receive payroll days before the rest of my teammates, love the text balance feature, online banking website is easy, customer service is on point. Cons: charges for every inquiry, ATM withdrawals, fees for every transaction. I had $27 worth in a month?!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Netspend?

Netspend

Hello Brianna, Thank you for taking the time to write to us. We regret to hear that you are receiving unwanted Netspend cards in the mail. We would like to resolve this for you, please contact us at social@netspend.com so we can rectify this situation.

Thanks, Netspend

Original review: April 10, 2017

NetSpend is EXTREMELY sketchy. They send cards to my mom's address with my name monthly and recently started sending them to my fiance's mom's house. I've never even visited there so I don't know the address to put it on anything. So how the hell are they sending me cards there? Where else is getting NetSpend cards with my name on it?? How do I stop them from sending them? If I didn't want the first 14 why would I change my mind???

I do not like your customer service team. They do not seem they are there to help the customer. They will argue with you and say they are transferring your call to a supervisor and hang up on you. Most of them do not realize this is a debit card and try to tell you it is like a credit card. Please retrain your employees on how to handle calls.

I went to an ATM to withdraw money. The machine did not dispense the money yet it was taken off my card. I sent a pic of the transaction receipt showing that I did not receive the money I requested and I was told it would take a minimum of 10 days. But once I completed the dispute I was told I would not hear any more until the 20th which makes that 14 days before I hear anything.

This NetSpend Western Union card has been a great help to me and my family. I like the fact that I can get my money early and have use to the overdraft protection. I never had problems with customer service. Every time I call for help the sometimes I have a problems with your call center. They don't or can't talk English and that you need to teach some.

I have used NetSpend for a couple of years now and I love that I get my paycheck direct deposited early each week. However earlier this week I received a notification that someone used my card number for an online transaction that cost over $1800! I immediately contacted NetSpend to let them know of the fraud and cancelled the card. They said that once it posted I could file a dispute. We then called the merchant that the order had been placed with and they were very helpful. They said that since the scammer did not have all of my correct information they would cancel it on their end. They even gave me an authorization number for NetSpend. This transaction has still not fallen off my pending so I am stuck. I cannot dispose it until it falls off which I am told may be thirty days.

NetSpend customer service has been very unhelpful and I cannot even understand what they are saying due to strong accents. I have direct deposit so they are protected on their side if the merchant suddenly decided to take the money back out but since it has been in pending for more than a week I believe that should show that it was cancelled. $1800 is a lot of money and I should not have to wait a month to get that back. I would like to know who I should contact to expedite a refund. Thank you!

I use it for paying bills only. The card makes it easier to pay bills. I don't like the idea of being charged for everything. This sucks. If we can get a way from that it will be cool. Let do something but that it would be nice.

Dear John,

We appreciate your feedback. If there is anything we can do to make your experience better, please email us at social@netspend.com or contact us at the number on the back of your card.

Thanks,

Netspend

Original review: April 9, 2017

I've been with NetSpend for the last four years and I never had any real problem with them. I had car loans through them and they're a quick place for me to go cash my paycheck sometime. They seem pretty good that's why I chose them over others, however I had some problems especially when it came down to my tax return time. They locked me out of my account. And it's pretty awkward using them in certain machines because they charge a higher fee. In some places, they charge $6 just for a withdrawal.

Also, one time, when I asked to speak with a supervisor, the rep put me on hold then she turned around and tried to make it seem like she was going to transfer me over. Then she came back on to try to see if she could still try to help me even though I preferred the supervisor at that moment. Once I got to talk to the supervisor they kept apologizing for it. Other than that, NetSpend is really good. My statements are always on time, they let me know as soon as they come up and are available for me to go get and look at them.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Direct deposit never added as promised. I will never ever again use this company again. I'm sorry but I'm ready to be admitted to Audubon Hospital here in Louisville for chest pain over this. I've spoke to 6 reps and they all promised my missing deposit will be on my temp card. Lied as of this morning. My family deserves answers please.

Purchased one of these cards at a retailer with a $100 balance. Went to activate the card online, entered the card number and 3 digit code. Nothing happens, just get the busy icon on the screen. Tried this for three consecutive days with the same results. So I had to call to activate the card. To use this card fully, you have to provide your social security number. I am not comfortable doing this esp. talking to someone overseas. So she tells me the card can be activated for purchases just not reloading. Okay fine. So the card is activated. I go to use the card and it does not work. I call back, and I was told it wasn't activated. She does a few things and tells me it has now been activated. But I go to use the card again, and it has NOT been activated. Honestly, I feel like someone stole a hundred dollars from me.

I absolutely love my NetSpend card. I have already recommended it to my mom and sister. Whenever I have a purchase problem the response is quick and is solved quickly. I also love my savings account. I like the fact that when I purchase from some of my favorite stores I receive a credit amount back from NetSpend; for example I made a purchase at AutoZone for 24$ and NetSpend gave me 4$ back for that purchase. So really I only spent 20$ and NetSpend does this for many other retailers not just AutoZone.

I will never get a NetSpend card or be affiliated with this company again. Last year, My husband I did joint tax refunds last year. His portion was placed on his card. When my portion was to be placed on my card. They returned my check to the IRS stating that one of my account numbers were wrong. I sent the correct numbers. I ended up getting audited, I had letters sent to my house a whole year telling me about reductions and deductions. In the end I received no check. I was without transportation.

So this year. I decided to give them another try. Well the IRS sent my refund Three days ago... and guess what. Still not posted to my account. They claim they have to receive a "check" from the IRS. They are full of crap. They do not get you your refund two days faster. That's a lie. I was told I would have to wait 3 to 5 days to receive my money that the IRS as already sent. PLEASE DO NOT GET A NETSPEND CARD. THEY DO NOT GIVE YOU YOUR REFUNDS FASTER. THEY WILL SEND YOU THROUGH A LOOP???

Well I had a NetSpend card sent to me from TurboTax. Everything was OK until I realized someone had been using my card at an ATM. Once I figured out how to look online at my statement I noticed a lot of charges were not because of me so I hit the dispute button that they provided online. They gave me ** as to why they can't provide credit. At first it was wait 20 days because I had to order a new account and when the 20th day came they said that they couldn't provide it because I never sent a letter. Need I remind you they never ever told me anything about sending a letter. My friend has their card and not once did they ask him for a letter with any dispute.

They had me talk to a man named "Dave" but I highly doubt he's a real person. They made an error or either they're being ** and just won't credit my money to my account. Now I'm beat out of 1000.00. I think this company is a joke. I've never had this problem anywhere else. They send you the same automated messages and put people who can barely speak English to handle your problems and they don't even hear what you're trying to say. They also charge me 5.95 for a replacement card which at the time it was to order another card and they charge me a 5.00 account fee but they can't credit my damn money to my account. My police department even has the person that used my card but these dumb people are just holding on to money I didn't spend. And I can't talk to anyone. Bottom line DO NOT GO TO NETSPEND. THEY ARE FRAUDS.

My finances has gotten a lot worse ever since I've had NetSpend. I got about nine fraudulent charges in one month. The charges were made online for stuff out in Phoenix and I've never been to Phoenix in years. But they said I did it, so I had to pay $700. I got identity theft turned in a lot last year and they remedied about 25% of them but 75% I had to pay.

Every time something’s taken from my card, I get a phone call or a text asking if it was me and I'll text back immediately yes or no. I also had to cancel my card and get a new number. And then I saw two fraudulent charges on the second account and so I went online and cancelled it. To replace the card, it'd cost me $10 but when I called the last time, it was replaced for free, which was nice. I told the rep seven times that I had two fraudulent charges and he said they were going to verify my identification all over again. I don't get a card for another 10 days and my money's on the bank and I can't access it.

I can prove it's fraudulent, but NetSpend says this is my fault with my habit of spending. I've notified NetSpend about these charges so many times and talking to them is like talking to a wall. But sometimes I let it go 'cause I don’t want to go through the hassle of calling NetSpend trying to get reimbursed 'cause, most of the times, it's not reimbursed. I'm keeping records of the fraudulent charges and whether NetSpend reimburses me or not, I'd still give them to a detective.

I use NetSpend for very few online purchases and to pay bills online. It's a convenient process but it's very unsafe and unsecure. They need a double-check system. There's not enough encryption and not enough prevention out there about hackers. I've been looking and I will be switching cards when I find a better one. Overall, my experience with NetSpend has been unsatisfactory and the communication has been poor.

I have been with NetSpend for almost 5 years without any issues, until tonight. I was transferring money from my account to my daughter's. Somehow the funds went to her old account that was suppose to be closed due to fraudulent activity. Spoke with a SUP and was informed she would transfer the funds to the correct account if my daughter would call in, called back in on a conference call with my daughter and was told by another SUP "Mia" that the previous info we were given was incorrect. Called back and got another SUP "Tony" who informed us the old account hadn't been closed correctly and he would ensure it was closed. He also stated because of the inconvenience he would credit me back 10.00 but couldn't credit the full 40.00. I agreed and decided to let it go.

However after not finding the credit, I decided to call back. I spoke with a rep that stated there was no mention on the account and that the offer of such a credit was not in their guidelines. I asked for a SUP, was left on hold 38mins. Called back and requested another SUP, left on hold that time for 20mins. Finally spoke with a SUP named Alex. She stated she would put the credit of 11.00 on card. This Philippines location needs to be shut down, it is filled with incompetent and rude workers. I have decided to take my funds and go to a Credit Union. I would advise everyone to do the same. If not a Credit Union perhaps another prepaid company, there are 1,000's.

Hello Latrall,

Original review: April 8, 2017

I have been with NetSpend for about ten years. I am very happy with their service because it is top notch. I have had many banks asking me to open an account (Wells Fargo) but I said no. I am happy with my online bank.

Hello Annette,

Thank you for the 5 star rating! We are excited to hear that you are very happy with our services. We truly value our cardholder's and aim to provide the maximum customer experience.

Original review: April 7, 2017

I love NetSpend. Never had a problem. I get my money fast from paychecks to tax refunds. I transfer money to my mom's card when needed. When I had a company take money out of my account that wasn't authorized NetSpend got it back for me a couple times. I don't have to worry about bank fees other than maybe $5 a month.

I have been robbed by this company. I advise anyone using this new NetSpend premier card take and close the account. You Never speak to a manager or employee that was born in the United States. I was hung up on over and over again giving me different information when I have proof of every lie that came from the employees and management. I will seek justice for the wrong. I have sent email after email no response. I was told my money would be returned to my card. Lie. I was told my dispute was never filed. Lie. The merchant never sent the refund back. Lie. I wasn't the only one who's card was used. We live in the same house. All use the same card company NETSPEND PREMIER. All of our cards used on the same bill. They money refunded. My money haven't been sent really. I'll let you put the puzzle together and save yourself the headache that comes with being a card holder with NETSPEND PREMIER.

I've been with NetSpend almost a year now and receive my disability benefits on it. I had some issues in the beginning and recently had to dispute a charge and I didn't like having to wait 90 days for my money back. Especially when I had completed necessary forms to get my money credited in 3 days, but still had to wait for back office to prove I was debited twice in December and I feel it shouldn't have taken so long to get my money back.

Hello Jillian,

Thank you for your feedback! We are excited to hear that you are very happy with our services. Your positive feedback also helps us to recognize the work that we are doing well.

Original review: April 7, 2017

I've had Netspend for some time now. I received my tax refund on one of their prepaid cards. I've since used their online banking services as my primary savings account. It's easy to use and allows me to better manage my finances while I work on my credit. I would absolutely recommend the service to a friend for its convenience and security.

The representative was very helpful in resetting my password. My email had changed and she updated all my info. Now I can easily access account info anytime. My experience with NetSpend has been a good one over the years and I think the service is affordable. Thanks!

On April 1st I was shocked to receive an email notification from NetSpend that my account is negative... so I checked my transactions and saw two unauthorized withdrawals at an ATM which is nowhere close to where I'm at and that the time of transaction I was just getting off work. I called customer service and was told that they will investigate. I was also asked for a written letter about the claim which I complied right away. This morning I receive an email informing me that the claim has been resolve but not to my favor so the stolen money was not credited back. There's no protection guarantee on this card. Even if I like the service I'm now scared to have my paycheck going to this Card now coz your card can be hacked and you're not protected.

Hello Lilian,

Original review: April 7, 2017

My NetSpend card helps me to manage my money more productively. Helps me to keep count on my spending so I won't go over my budget planning. It's great. I love it, and if I lose it I can call right then to report it before anyone has a chance to use it, it cancel right then. Better than carrying around lots of cash. Thank you so much NetSpend consumers.

Hello Sharnall,

Original review: April 7, 2017

Been a NetSpend customer for years and love it. Never have any problems and customer service is always excellent. I cannot complain about their service. If I've ever had an issue it has always been resolved quickly and swiftly with the best advisement from customer service.

Hello Doneza,

Original review: April 7, 2017

I am very pleased with the services that NetSpend provides. I would wish they would consider more benefits to PA residents like myself, and also have more partnerships with car dealerships make the world see that NetSpend is here to stay.

Hello Manika,

Thank you for the 5 star rating!

Original review: April 7, 2017

I love my card. Been a customer for 10 plus years. Never had an issue always. Always recommend to my friends, family, and co-workers. I love this card better than a bank account. I will always recommend NetSpend to any and everyone. Keep up the great work.

Netspend Company Profile