toll free

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Hello Lisa,

Thank you for your feedback and 5 star rating! We appreciate all feedback, it helps us to improve the customer experience. Your positive feedback also helps us recognize the work we are doing well. Thank you for choosing NetSpend!

Thanks, NetSpend

Original review: Nov. 6, 2016

NetSpend has been very good to me. They pay me early so I could pay my rent and bills on time. The representatives are very courteous and helpful. I tell all my friends and family about them. I am very happy to be a customer of them. My satisfaction is 100% with them.

I can truthfully say that NetSpend customer service reps was kind and considerate to me when I called them after a tragedy in my family--I spoke to a rep and explained that my son had been murdered and I would not be getting direct deposits as before as I was off work... I was told my account would not be closed, giving me time to cover for an overdraft charge... thank you NetSpend.

I'm very satisfied with my NetSpend account. Great service! Providing all my banking needs. I would definitely recommend NetSpend to my friends and family. I really enjoy the text alert feature that is available to me. Letting me know every time there is any transaction on my account. It really helps me keep my finances in order.

Was helped... money was on card in hours. Great service! I really love NetSpend. It is as good if not better than any local bank I have ever banked with. Please keep up the good work. I would like to hear more clear English when I call but everyone is always knowledgeable and polite.

Hello Noelia,

Thank you for the 5 star rating! We are excited to hear that you are very happy with our services. We truly value our cardholder's and aim to provide the maximum customer experience.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2016

When I got my VISA I was having a hard time with my Bank. They ALWAYS found a way to charge every kind of fee in the book. I live paycheck to paycheck so I count every penny. I was done! This card has changed my finances a lot. I don't have to worry any more; no more surprises. I have already recommended it to a few friends. Thank you NetSpend.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NetSpend?

Hi Nakiea,

Thank you for your feedback and 5 star rating! We are excited to hear that you are very happy with our services.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2016

I just wanted to leave a review about my NetSpend card. I have truly been pleased with it from the moment I got it. I've introduced it to my family members that will listen to me rant and rave about this card. And they too have enjoyed NetSpend thoroughly. Thank you all for giving peace of mind back to those who thought that they couldn't get any type of banking services.

I was referred to NetSpend by somebody I used to work with several years ago. With NetSpend, I didn't have to worry about overdraft fees and the company also offered the convenience of the direct deposit, which is a very easy process. I just turned in the paperwork to my payroll and that was it. There was an ACE Cash Advance just a block away from my employer, so the location was convenient. I manage my finances significantly better with the card. It's easier to access and having the text notifications is the most helpful. The global deposit is nice and being able to pay bills online is convenient as well. My interactions with their team about some charges that were made under my card were simple and straightforward and the issue was resolved within 24 hours.

Hello William,

Thanks, NetSpend

Original review: Nov. 30, 2016

I like the convenience of having a NetSpend. It also helps me control some of my spending habits, like when I have a couple of days that I have to pay bills. It keeps me on track ‘cause I know who I paid, how much I paid and what’s left. And that helps me budget things out. However, there was an offer that NetSpend had and I applied for it and didn’t get it. But my son applied for it and he got it. It didn't make sense to me because I've been with them for more than six years. But when I had to change my number, or when I tried to get my alert set up to make sure it was the right phone, everybody worked real good. I had a payment went out that I didn’t authorize and they all took care of that. NetSpend is very reliable, dependable and works easy with me. I’d recommend it to anybody.

Hello Julia,

Thanks, NetSpend

Original review: Nov. 26, 2016

I recently had a transaction problem. Your customer service team handled the situation in a professional and timely manner. The matter was resolved and was due on behalf of an error from another source. Your team helped me clear this matter up by providing clear and concise data. Thanks! :-)

I get my pay two days earlier than regular with NetSpend. I get the electronic on my phone and I can see how much money is available every time my card's been used. I also get discounts and I have a $100 overdraft protection. I always use it to pay bills and it's very convenient for me. Then I also utilize the direct deposit and it's a very easy process. Every time I have problems, I'd call and I get the correct answer. If I lose a card, I have a new one within a few days. I love it and I’m very satisfied.

Hi Vicki,

Thank you for your feedback. Please feel free to contact us at social@netspend.com so we can rectify this situation.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2016

Someone took $1225.00 out of my debit account. I called NetSpend but was told that even though the transaction was still pending, they could not stop it from coming out. Then the customer service rep cancelled my debit card without my permission and with me telling her not to. To top it off, she wanted to charge me $25 to expedite a new card to me within 2 days. Otherwise, I have to wait 10 days to get a new card for free. So now...the day before Thanksgiving holidays, I have NO access to the small amount of money that is left in my account because she cancelled my card AND have to wait 10 days to get a new one AND I have lost $1225. She told me that all she could do was dispute the charge and that could take up to 30 days. HOLY JESUS. No gas money, no Christmas shopping money and no money to finish buying Thanksgiving food. Thanks NetSpend. YOU SUCK.

Hello Jackie,

Thank you for the 5 star rating! Your positive feedback also helps us to recognize the work that we are doing well.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2016

I needed something with a direct deposit feature so I went with NetSpend. I also liked the fact that I could just pay $5 a month for any amount of transaction instead of being charged per transaction. Now that I have a direct deposit, I don't worry about going to cash a check, and I get text messages for every transaction. The card is very easy and convenient since I can do transactions online or through my phone without having to go into the store. If I ever have a question or need anything, I can call NetSpend and they're always able to help me with whatever I need in a friendly and courteous way. One time, someone was trying to use my account in the U.K. and NetSpend stopped that transaction so nobody took any money out of my account. I was glad that they caught onto that. I've had a great experience with this company, that's why I continue to use them.

Hi April,

Thank you for your feedback. We regret to hear you are having problems with a block on your account. Please feel free to contact us at social@netspend.com so we can rectify this situation.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2016

I will never do business with Netspend again. I lost my debit card last week and needed to purchase a prepaid card to pay a bill online. I purchased the card at my local CVS and loaded it. I called to activate and was told that there was an activation issue and I needed to speak to a rep. The representative proceeded to tell me that I had a negative balance on a card from 2012 and there was a restriction on the card. This conversation was held on Nov 16th. She said that it would take 24 hours after requesting a lift of the restriction to activate the card.

I waited until 5pm on Nov 17th to call back. This new rep, told me it actually took up to 48 hours and the request had been made but not yet processed. I waited until Friday evening at 7:30 to call back. A third rep, told me that could see where the request had been made yesterday (although it should have been made 2 days prior) and that it had not yet been processed so there was nothing he could do.

I asked that the call be escalated to a manager. The manager told me that he would send another email to the "back office" and ask that it be expedited BUT no one would be available to look at it until Monday because they don't work weekends. And that he would make sure there was a text alert sent when the card was active. Here we are, November 22nd, and I have not heard a thing.

I called to inquire and was told that an email needed to be sent to the back off to request the removal of the restriction. Something that was done last week, almost an entire week ago. At this moment I have no access to my funds, and no faith in it being resolved. I asked if the money could be returned to me via transfer to another bank or card and was told no. They can only close the account (that was never truly opened) and send me a check that will take anywhere from 10-14 days! I will NEVER spend another dime with anything that has anything to remotely do with this company and I will discourage everyone I know from supporting it as well.

Hi Elizabeth,

Thank you for your feedback. We regret to hear about your experience. If there is anything we can do to assist you, please feel free to contact us at social@netspend.com.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2016

I joined NetSpend thru Advance America. When discharged from war 9/11, the banks were stealing benefits. Then some of NetSpend workers were stealing from the NetSpend company. They were helping me but some NetSpend company workers kept stealing, then some Va Hospital workers got jealous and tried to steal all my benefits but the military service caution everyone.

So now you have veterans with benefits stolen. When NetSpend company was still working on fixing a problem, the same with the Military service they try, you have good and evil. We have to pray for God to show us which ones are GOOD AND WHICH ONES ARE EVIL, THE END. God bless you all for helping me and I'm praying for your company, you see both this company and military support has been my family for God's purpose, I'm the servant. He will use and many others, may God help US all, in Jehovah's blessing and In Jesus Christ name The Holy GHOST I pray Amen Amen Amen, Truth.

Hello Latrisha,

Thanks, NetSpend

Original review: Nov. 19, 2016

Netspend is very good at what they do. I got them when I had just gotten a job and wanted direct deposit. They have been good and very helpful. I get paid and I can pay my bills faster. It's very convenient. The team has been able to fix the issues that I've had very quickly. NetSpend, you are all wonderful and just keep doing what you all do.

Hi Dennis,

We truly value our cardholder's and aim to provide the maximum customer experience. Your positive feedback also helps us to recognize the work that we are doing well.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2016

NetSpend is easier than a bank account. The direct deposit makes managing my finances better. The deposit by phone now makes it a lot easier and the biggest thing about it is more convenience paying everything, a lot of it over online or over the phone. You don't have to mess with anybody. You pay and you move on. I use Direct Deposit and it's a lot easy and you get it much quicker. The reload locations are easy to find, it's just easier all the way around. Their customer services are good. The phone gets answered quick and I don't have to sit at home forever. NetSpend has worked good for us for a long time. I'm very satisfied.

Hello Ebonie,

Thanks, NetSpend

Original review: Nov. 17, 2016

I needed a check cashing card so I got NetSpend. Their direct deposit feature is easy to do and I have been able to use NetSpend to pay my bills and make online purchases. It is very convenient. I just have one issue with the NetSpend card. Anytime I go to SuperAmerica gas station, I go into the store to pay for gas, it still comes off of my card. It's like I paid at the pump. That's not the first person I heard it happened to them. It's just at SA though. Overall, it's easy to use and easy to access.

Hi Cynthia,

We are excited to hear that you are very happy with our services. Your positive feedback also helps us to recognize the work that we are doing well.

Thanks, NetSpend

Original review: Nov. 16, 2016

With NetSpend, my personal information is secure. I have an incident where a magazine company sent me out its magazines and telling me that they were taking the money out of my card. So I put an alert on them because I never ordered any magazines, and that was good for me to do that. And when they had the loan program, I took advantage of it. But they cut it out.

I also have my payroll check being deposited to my NetSpend account. I've used the reload stations many times and it's very convenient. I called them when somebody felt they could take money from my account that I didn't authorize, and the resolution department handled it very well. Once they resolved it, they sent a mail letting me know what happened. And then one time, the company put my money in the wrong account. They missed a zero because I have a lot of zeros after the first number of my account number. It cost me to miss a funeral. It took them about four days to straighten it out, but they did. Most of the time the reps are knowledgeable and friendly. Sometimes I'll get somebody that I can't understand and I have to ask them to give me somebody who can understand and speak English clearly. But other than that, I have no problem.

Hi Jason,

Thank you for your feedback. We regret to hear about your experience with your account. If there is anything we can do to assist you, please feel free to contact us at social@netspend.com.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2016

My card was hacked all my money was gone in twenty minutes. Called customer service, they lied to me about everything. Then I talked to supervisor, she didn't know what to say about how the customer service rep flat-out lied to me. She was speechless. Spoke with individual at corporate, he didn't care. Pretty much told me to take my money to the bank. I've been a customer for five years. After reading the real reviews over a hundred reviews talking about how NetSpend just takes your money and never calls you back. I guess they don't care about their customer. I am with a real bank now. It's just sad how this company treats their customers.

Hello Brandi,

Thank you for your feedback! We are excited to hear that you are very happy with our card. We strive to create features and tools that will benefit our valued customers.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2016

I needed a prepaid debit card to help manage my money and my checks and I liked NetSpend card and the program. I often use it for direct deposits and there's a reload location around the corner from my house. Managing my finances is a lot easier because instead of constantly going to the ATM to get cash for bills, I can just use my card. I have the online account and it keeps up with everything perfectly for me. If I ever have a dispute with a purchase, I call in, they handle it right away, no problems and it’s all good. To be able to pay my bills online is a very convenient process. It’s really easy and quick. I had referred my husband to get a NetSpend card. I didn't get my referral fee though.

The people at NetSpend are good. They were very nice and really helpful when I had to interact with them. They helped solve my problem really quick, so I didn't spend a long time on the phone explaining over and over, trying to get things figured out. I never had to speak to a supervisor or anything. The person just helped me right away and everything was okay.

Hello Stephen,

Thank you for your feedback! Your feedback also helps us to recognize areas of focus, we truly value our cardholder's and aim to provide the maximum customer experience. If there is anything we can do about the missing referral credit please contact us at social@netspend.com.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2016

I received the NetSpend card when me and my wife got our taxes back a few years ago and since she was working and getting paper checks it would cost us three dollars every time to cash it. So we started putting her checks on direct deposit through NetSpend and have loved it ever since. We have had a couple issues and when calling customer service they would take care of us in a fast response.

Only one time did we have a problem and that is when we did the 'refer a friend' promo and we both should have gotten ten dollars from NetSpend but that never did happen. We called them for three days straight on the phone for hours each time and they just would not do it. We even had the friend that we had referred standing with us when we called so he could give them his card number and info. but still nothing... That kinda upset me and almost made me change cardholders but I didn't just because I don't think they still understood what we was saying.

Anyway I love that I can only spend what I have but along with that I have the $10 over in case I'm a little low and they just take that back out when my direct deposit goes in without any extra fees! Thank you and we have enjoyed having you as our cardholder. The only thing I would change is if you could report to credit agencies so our credit would build up. Lol. Thanks again.

Hello Denise,

Original review: Nov. 14, 2016

I've been with NetSpend for about four years now. I like the idea of having access to my account. I also like the budget aspect of it. I can set my own budget limitation. It's very convenient to use the card to do direct deposit, pay bills, and make online purchases. Their customer service is very easy to talk to and they meet my needs. The only thing is that I would like to get a chip card because it's too easy to use without the chip. But the security is pretty good and I have recommended it to other people as well. I'm enjoying their services and I like how I can get my money in advance.

Hello Nathan,

Thank you for your feedback! We are excited to hear that you are very happy with our services.We strive to create features and tools that will benefit our valued customers. If you would like more information regarding bank transfers please contact us at social@netspend.com.

Thanks, NetSpend

Original review: Nov. 13, 2016

The monthly maintenance fee is cheaper to maintain my account through NetSpend. And so far, it's been terrific. It provides total convenience and I just discovered that I got the take back rewards. I had no idea that I can get money back for using my card until three weeks ago. The only con that I have recently ran into is not being able to transfer or add money to my account through another bank account. It should be opened up so that if I need to borrow money from a family member, they can just get money on my prepaid card through their Bank of America account. That will be nice.

I also encountered an issue when I ended up having five NetSpend accounts open. It took a couple of days to get that taken care of. The last guy I spoke to was able to help me and closed all the accounts except the one I was currently using at the time. But that seemed like a big hassle and I did 150 bucks on one of the cards. It was my mistake. I was renting a room and picked it on the wrong card. I called to get that money off of that and transferred to the card I had in my pocket. We ran into all kinds of issues. So I wasn't able to rent the hotel room that night, which sucks.

But other than that, I really like NetSpend. They came a long way and I'm satisfied. I feel pretty safe to their emails. They send me frequent emails and I'm expecting nothing to change. But it's nice to know that they keep me in the loop. I use NetSpend on a daily basis and I would recommend it to anybody over other prepaid cards.

Hello Barbara,

Original review: Nov. 12, 2016

I needed a debit card to have my check direct deposited every month because I don’t have a bank account. I got NetSpend because of their service fee. I can see where my money is going and it's convenient to be able to make purchases or pay bills online. It saves me from having to deal with crowds especially around the holidays where I can just sit at home and do my Christmas shopping or anything else that I need. It's a great benefit.

Hi Leslie,

Thank you for your feedback. We regret to hear you have concerns with your fee schedule. If there is anything we can do to assist you, please feel free to contact us at social@netspend.com.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2016

I've had a NetSpend card for several year and all was fine with the exception of a few minor hiccups here and there. But then recently I started getting charged an extra $1-$2 for each transaction and didn't know why. I even accused a cashier of overcharging me. I eventually found out, by calling NetSpend that they had changed and decided to start charging per transaction. They signed me up to a default plan and not told me about any of this! Needless to say I stopped my direct deposit to NetSpend immediately and have not looked back. The lack of communication felt underhanded and that's something I cannot deal with. Bye NetSpend.

Hello Penny,

We regret to hear about your experience with activation. Please feel free to contact us at social@netspend.com.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2016

When I activated my NetSpend card, I answered all the questions to satisfaction and of course gave my social security number and boom they activated my card. A few days later after I found out that my benefits were going to start, I called NetSpend and realize they had my ss# in error. By one digit! I corrected the error but then they put my account on freeze until I sent them documents to prove that I am who I am. I've sent over 5 emails all declining one or 2 documents.... this is ridiculous and they have my money and won't release it because of an error that their company made.

Now I know at least 5 people who uses NetSpend (that's why I thought I try it) and all of them told me all they had to do was give them their name, social, date of birth and address. So why are they putting me through this ordeal because of a mistake their employees made and I corrected them. I gave them a current energy bill, my ID, my benefits letter both from state and social security... I'm going absolutely crazy because our family needs the funds and now I don't know what's going to happen!!!!

Hello Sherwood,

Thank you for your feedback! Your positive feedback also helps us to recognize the work that we are doing well.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2016

I needed a different system for banking. I had some credit issues and couldn't really get a bank account. NetSpend seemed like the safest prepaid debit card provider at that time. They helped me put in my disability up in a safe place instead of getting it through a check mailed to me. With my Netspend card, I hold on to my money better because I don't have all this cash on me. I'm able to pay bills and take care of most of my business a lot quicker and easier. I use direct deposit through a reload spot and put the money right on the card. It's really convenient. There have been no problems or complaints and I haven't gotten ripped off. If I have issues, they resolve them pretty good. I'd recommend it to anybody that needs it.

Hi Fowa,

Original review: Nov. 10, 2016

My co-worker was bragging on NetSpend years ago. I looked up all the benefits and the security things on it. At the time I was more attracted to the policy than all the advantages it had which were more advanced than other prepaid cards. So I got a NetSpend card and I'm glad I made that choice and as long as they're in business I'll be purchasing things. With my NetSpend card, I'm more aware of the amount I spend and how I spend it. It's effortless to reload the card through direct deposit. When I needed a replacement card or needed to transfer money and I couldn’t figure out exactly how to do it, I would always call them. There wasn’t any long wait, and everybody was courteous and excellent.

Resolution In Progress

I had NetSpend and I will never have them again. They allowed a unauthorized transaction go through after I called them to stop it. Refused to take responsibility. The dispute was done incorrectly and they didn't care. Also refused to close my account. They are rude and when you're upset don't do anything to fix it. They said they closed my account yet turned around and just reported my card stolen. They are unprofessional and scam artists. I hate the company and will never go through them or recommend to anyone. I also never got my money back that they stole. Currently dealing with them with the BBB.

Hello Dale,

Thank you for the 4 star rating! We are excited to hear that you are very happy with our card.

Thanks, NetSpend

Original review: Nov. 9, 2016

The NetSpend card gives me the ease of being able to have savings, to look at the budget planning and to do online mobile deposits of checks. It's very convenient to use for online purchases. There are great benefits in using the card. The direct deposit process is super easy. Everything has been smooth online and I never had to have any personal interactions. Everything’s been great over the years.

NetSpend Company Profile