Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Hello Nicole,

Thank you for your feedback! We are excited to hear that you are very happy with our services. Your positive feedback also helps us to recognize the work that we are doing well.

Original review: July 2, 2017

Netspend is convenient for the app on my phone and it’s compatible with my phone and my computer. It’s also the same thing as a traditional physical bank account. I use it for online purchases but not to pay my bills. It offers bills payment only if you go to the individual account that you want to pay and put it in your NetSpend information, whereas I would like it if you could pay bills from the actual NetSpend account and then put in the bills that you want to pay. But when I call or go to the automation, it’s been positive each time.

Hello Lori,

Thank you for the 4 star rating! We are excited to hear that you are very happy with our services.

Original review: June 15, 2017

I love my Netspend card. I've had it for over 2 yrs but I have never been able to access my account online. Website won't accept my password or the one that is emailed to me. What can be done to fix this? Other than that, I recommend it to everyone! My son & my husband also have one. We wouldn't have anything else!

I pulled 200 out of an ATM after normal bank hours. However, I didn't get any money just a receipt. So I call in the complaint will still at the ATM. Nice lady from customer service opened a complaint on 8-9-17. She told me to call the ATMs bank in the morning and then call Netspend back. So I did this took 2hrs for the ATM's bank to call me back and tell me that the ATM had jammed and I could receive my refund in 48hrs but I didn't bank with them so I'd have to talk to my bank, Netspend. I called Netspend back and told them what the bank told me and this guy entered the notes on my complaint.

9-15-17 I received an email from Netspend saying I never filed a complaint in writing. I was never told by either rep and told the 3rd rep to listen to the recorded phone calls. He said he'd make a note to do so. Also informed me that cause I didn't file a written complaint, I would now have to wait until 9-25-17. In what world does it take a month to find out what took 1 phone and 2hrs for the bank to admit it was their ATM's fault. Truly pathetic. I have emailed every week since the 8/15. Now they don't even response back. It's now 9-20-17 and I'm willing to bet they don't refund my money but I bet they will give me a really sorry ** excuse. Do yourself a favor people close your Netspend accounts and get a different one. They have trouble service and don't follow any guidelines. It's all a scam. I learned this the hard way!

I hate you Netspend!! I usually don't say this about anyone or anything but I really hate you!! I have been trying to fix my account for years and now I have been banned or whatever because when I was younger I opened an account from them and I kept going to a CSR and she kept opening accounts with Netspend because she said it would give her some kind of points and it wouldn't harm my standing. I tried to fix this for a very long time (it's been about ten years) and now I am no longer eligible to have an account. I hope you get it back in spades!!

I have constantly had trouble with my Netspend Prepaid Card. Whenever an issue pops up I have to talk to the customer service who would be overly self-assured non-English speakers who are handling MY MONEY. I just purchased a new debit card, I made the mistake of making a new account instead of activating on a verifiable account, and now I'm locked out of the account. They said I had to be able to answer a series of questions or prove my identity by answering a series of questions. The only problem would be that the poor customer service person you hired isn't able to pronounce the question and answer correctly or be able to explain it to me in a timely.

I asked her to transfer me to someone more qualified to answer the question, just to find that there was a 5 time minute time period for the Questionnaire which had timed out. So now I risk homelessness when I can't buy a bus ticket for a business endeavor online nor can I pull out the money I had put in the card for the ticket. This has happened to me before but luckily with assertiveness and perseverance I was able to be properly retributed by the company when they told me that the otherwise is true. Life would be so much easier for everyone if these kind of companies could just invest in American-English speaking customer service workers.

Upgraded to Flare account. Tried to double charge the 5.00 monthly fee. Already receiving direct deposit and my 10.00 purchase cushion did not transfer. Said had to wait for next direct deposit. I've had nothing but problems with them. All you get is, "Sorry for your inconvenience." You mad? They put you on hold and never come back.

Dear Micia,

We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that our product is helping out. We will certainly look into why you are having a difficult time reaching our customer service.

For any future concerns, please feel free to email us at social@netspend.com.

Netspend

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

Netspend is fine. It’s no different than having a checking account. I don’t like that it's hard to get through to their reps once you try to call them. It helps me, though. I get paid two days earlier and I like it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Netspend?

Have had a card for about 4 months. I use it every other pay period. I recently used the mobile check load system on my card with a 0 balance. I say this because a card with a 0 balance will be denied. Once the checks were approved and "voided" I immediately (10 min) made an online purchase for medication I need. One day later my card is canceled and customer support is saying 3 fraudulent charges. 2 Lyft and Dunkin Donuts were approved and pending but my purchase that I made immediately (10 min) after charging my card; from a retailer I have purchased from twice with the same card; was denied. But these others from places where I have never used the card are approved. They could provide no dates, times, or physical places besides United States. No transaction numbers, or business ID numbers.

Now the card is cancelled due to their security protocol. Whatever funds are left are on hold until I receive a replacement card. The pending charges are not insured and it seems as if I have to do the leg-work to figure out what can be done. Customer service rep was outsourced, limited in bureaucratic resources, and sometimes difficult to understand. She stuck to the script as best she could. Felt like she was just filling in the template. After reading trough comments on here I suspect I will never get that money back. I feel like this is all part of their company culture. Opportunistic scavengers and low level predators. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH NETSPEND if you can avoid it!!! They are low level white collar crooks.

Consumer Increased Rating!
Resolution In Progress

Cannot sign on for 2 days straight. I've reported this by a series of email and get a response with a link to change password. This is twice even though I knew my initial password. Customer service is basically a call recording, no live agents, slow response, can't get financial info you need. Just horrible. I won't be surprised if they were hacked and not telling consumers. I have had this accounts for months. Nothing is wrong on my end. I've cleaned out cache, restarted computer, you name it, still can't sign in. It starts off good but then it fails. Looks like a #grabyourwallet situation to me. Fix your crappy company.

I called immediately upon receiving those two fraudulent attempts of theft from my account. I first spoke with the agent answering the phone. I then spoke with a supervisor, both of whom were inept. I asked to speak to her immediate supervisor and was given a manager. The manager explained that all I had to do was call the toll free numbers to these companies, and upon receiving the confirmation codes and cancellation numbers from both merchants, to then call right back, and upon receiving that information, they would immediately put back those two amounts of $92.78, and $92.89 immediately back into my account since these were fraudulent transactions.

I asked, "Ace Elite surely will not pay these merchants when I prove these are acts of theft." He said, "Absolutely not." He said those funds were taken out by Ace Elite as soon as the merchants ran my card. But the funds had only been taken out and put in reserve, and would not be used to pay the merchants. Instead they will be put back into my account upon receiving the confirmation numbers and cancellation codes.

After receiving them, I immediately called Ace Elite right back. I was told since the charges were not due to my card being stolen, and instead since I had made purchases with those merchants back in July, and they were keeping my card on file as does numerous companies such as Straight Talk, the utility companies, etc in case I wanted to make another purchase at a later date. Of course, I did not expect the company to attempt to steal funds from my account two months later by making false unauthorized purchases. Since it was this type of situation, Ace Elite could now put the funds back into my account, and file a dispute later with these merchants. He said, “We will have the funds back into your account today September 01, 2017.”

As of September 06, 2017, the funds were not put back into my account and I received one lie upon another as to why not from Ace Elite’s supervisor. It was absolutely outrageous what she attempted to get me to believe. The confirmation number from Iceberg Health was **. The cancellation code was **. The confirmation code from LA Goods Beauty was **. And the cancellation code was **. I did what I was supposed to do and was lied to. Those merchants had not been paid because I called and alerted them immediately, and those amounts were listed as pending. Those merchants had not been paid.

Then today September 06, 2017, I spoke to a completely inept supervisor who flat out lied one right after another. She first tried to say, "The $92.89 was put back into your account on September 03, 2017 giving you a balance of $495.70 and when the other amount was put back in your balance was then $588.59." Those statements were flat out lies. She actually try to steal money from me too. She said, “You have already received those two amounts back into your account, and those were the balances after the two deposits.” Lies lies lies. This supervisor from Ace Elite was trying to steal those two amounts for Ace Elite. Sorry idiot supervisor. I'm not stupid. I said, "Ok, listen to the two following statements and then do your best to attempt to correct the two lies you just tried to pull on me."

So I was reading directly from emails from Ace Elite saying, "Your balance is $495.70. After $92.89 purchase purchase purchase (not deposit not deposit) on Sept 01, 12:22 pm.” Got you lying idiot thief. Now explain this one you liar. $588.59 available after $23.81 purchase purchase purchase not deposit not deposit. So you explain what you are trying to do. You are clearly lying when you said those amount of $92.89, and $ 92.78. You just tried to lie and tell me I had received those amounts back already, and you were going to just keep the amounts for Ace Elite. Then, wow, did she try to get even more creative in her lying and attempt at theft. She said those two amounts were put back into your account.

Then at sometime after 7:00 pm, the company turned around and took the amounts out again. That didn't even add up that the amounts had been put in the first place. Now she's trying to say they took their payments back out. Are you serious? Are you that stupid, really? Do you think I'm that stupid you moron? The two available balances she mentioned $495.70 and $588.59 were not due - and I explained that I had proof of that. Those amounts were not due to the two amount being put back in my account. I read it to her verbatim. Then she attempts to do damage control which is utterly ignorant since I had already caught her in the two lies about the so called $92.78, and $92.89 deposits that never happened and she was flat out lying and trying to steal the same money the other company attempted to steal. Unbelievable thieves.

Then I said, "I think you forgot one major detail in your last lying attempts. The card had already been blocked as stolen you idiot. Those merchants could not have taken one dime out of my account after 4:00 and near 7:00 you liar. My card was blocked because I reported it stolen." Believe it or not that lying idiot attempted one more lie. She said, "Yes, absolutely, they can still take their money back out that they put in because you gave them access to your account." I could not stand this lying thieves idiot one more second and told her so. I told her she was trying to steal the same money and I was too smart for her and caught her in every one of her lies. I told her I was going to report her to the corporate headquarters. She said, "Go ahead. They won't care." I said, "I will report you to the CEO of NetSpend." She said, "Go ahead he won't care either."

Are those two statements correct? Corporate and the CEO of the company won't care? I'm making an attempt to see if you do care. If not I will retain an attorney, and I will get my money back, plus damages, as well as reveal the recorded tapes I have of all the conversation with her and all the others to CNN, Fox, NBC, CBS, etc etc etc, I can see if you guys care. I want my money back immediately. I will notify the attorney generals in both states. The FTC. The Better Business Bureau and I will trash Ace Elite and NetSpend all over the internet while downloading copies for all to listen to of that ignorant attempted thief, and pathetic liar. Those tapes are very damning.

She said corporate doesn't care, nor will the CEO. I think if your company could hear the recordings of have of all of them but with emphasis on her, you would be mortified. She should be fired. If I have to get an attorney and all those recordings comes out all over the news, your corporate will care and so will the CEO. I want my money back in my account today. I was told it would be back in on the 1st. If it's not back in today, I'll let my attorney release these tapes all over the country. I want my money back in my account today. It’s already 5 days late. If you guys don't really care, then don't put it back in. The entire country will hear that lying attempted thief and complete idiot.

I tried several times to view my account from online. Never been able to get it to load all the way and it is very frustrating to have this happen. I have also sent in a complaint letter by email and customer service speed was rather **. I am not happy that I can't check my online account. If I want to have to call a bank for info on my account then I would just bank with a bank in my county and state. I don't ask for much but fix this problem because who knows someone could be stealing my info if your servers are at risk and that could be a lawsuit too.

Lost my Netspend Skylight card, so the person over the phone tells me to get another Netspend card and they can transfer it. Nope! You have to have a Skylight Netspend card, so not only did I have to cancel the card I lost, they cancelled the card they sent me. I usually just deposit the cash from the card into my bank account, but now it's going I'm going to get a card that doesn't work, can't use the money that is mine to pay my rent, I don't have enough money for my groceries and the best thing the customer service person could say is "There is nothing we can do for you". They asked me if any friends or family use the card, no they don't and no I will never suggest using Netspend. I have 30 dollars until my new card arrives. Thanks Netspend.

I attempted to use this company for online purchases, pay certain bills, etc. My last name is only five letters...FIVE. I had them repeat my last name over six times to ensure they had it correct, as they have trouble understanding English. I also used the good ol' army lingo such as alpha, lima, tango, etc. to spell my last name. Needless to say, I have received TWO different debit cards from them, when my name was to be corrected AFTER THE FIRST MISHAP, yet the second card was incorrect as well.

I asked to speak to management regarding this, was placed on hold for over 25 MINUTES, only to be told that if I want an expedited corrected card, that I would have to pay $25 DOLLARS for said card, even though the so called manager admitted their mistake. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS SENSELESS COMPANY THAT CAN'T SPELL A NAME CORRECTLY!

I've had a Netspend card 5 years and never had an issue. I had an Elite card, but Friday Sept 1 I was offered the Flare card, so I switched and was told all my Elite cards are now inactive so shred them, which I did. What I wasn't told is any funds transferred to my Elite card AFTER the switch would take 1-2 BUSINESS days to access. This is a holiday weekend so Monday businesses are closed. It's also the 1st of the month so most bills are due. I called Saturday Sept 1 about why I couldn't access my funds that I could previously see on my text as being available on Friday Sept 1 and this was when I was first told about the 1-2 business days.

Sunday Sept 3 I see on my text my funds are there in my Elite account so I call Netspend and was then advised to call ** to talk to the Flare account and end up waiting 55 min on hold to talk to someone. We spoke maybe 5 min and then I asked to speak to a supervisor where I was on hold for ANOTHER hour and 20 min. This is unprofessional and card holders that switch need to know what's not being told.

I lost my Netspend card where most of my money is deposited. It fell into the console of my car. When I called Netspend to have the last bit $900 transferred they informed me I had hit a magical limit, and I would have no access to my money until my new card came. 10-15 days. So in the meantime what do I tell my bills? My son who starts school Tuesday and needs lunch money? My family that will not be going on our traditional trip to the state fair? My gas tank when it beeps at me? And worst of all, when I require a medication refill because I am terminally ill with a rare brain disease?

I guess I'll have to shrug my shoulders and say this is the new professional business way we treat individuals. I'm unfortunately so sick from the stress already. When Netspend is good they're so good, but when they screw up, it affects people's lives in a real way. I was on the phone for 5 hours, on hold for an exclusive supervisor for 3 of the 5 hours. I do not wish this on anyone.

My father passed away on May 15th of this year. He was a Netspend user and when he passed there was a card with $800 balance still available. After my first call to customer service, after having to tell the agent 3 times that my father was no longer with us, I was told to send in a copy of the death certificate and a check would be issued. Fast forward 4 weeks and no response from Netspend, I called customer service again and this time was told that they were still processing the documents and someone would be in touch.

Another 3 weeks go by and I call again. Once again, I have to explain to the agent, multiple times that my father is no longer living and I am just trying to get his money into the right hands. Well, now, I am told that the document department requires a POA and a copy of their DL. Understandable, but why wasn't I told this during one of my previous calls??? Again, I am told that someone will contact me once everything is received. I gather the requested documentation and submit via email, and never hear anything back.

Today, on September 1st [THREE MONTHS LATER!!!] I call yet again to follow-up and now I've been told to contact the local probate court for documentation that authorizes me to deal with my father's account!!! As if losing my father to cancer wasn't enough, but having to deal with these incompetent jerks is one of the worst experiences of my life. Seriously, I rather have a root canal without **. I get that they are protecting my fathers' money, but they really need to have their stuff together and be able to direct a customer better the FIRST time they call for assistance. Oh, and forget about being able to clarify anything with documents department. They don't have a direct line and emails are not answered. Once more I've been told that someone will be in touch from the document department. I highly doubt that! To say that I am dissatisfied with Netspend would be an understatement, more like traumatized.

I have been a loyal customer to these people for over 3 years. Have never had a issue before. Now suddenly I can't get my money and no one has anything to say. My company has issued the voided checks so I'm sure they sent my money to the bank and Netspend claims they have no clue. A VERY BIG INCONVENIENCE! On top of that the representatives are rude and sarcastic. They don't care! DO NOT BOTHER WITH THESE PEOPLE!

I am posting this review as a warning. If you’re considering using NetSpend, I highly urge you to look elsewhere. I had an account with NetSpend for approximately 3 years. My account was compromised multiple times. In the end, I came to the conclusion that someone or multiple employees of NetSpend were responsible for the theft of my identity and over $1,000 dollars. Their customer service department all but refused to help me each and every time I had to call. The fraud department is literally where this company commits fraud. Over the last year, my account had been compromised 5 times despite the fact that in order to make any changes whatsoever to my account a call had to made to my cell phone. This is the highest measure of security that exists at NetSpend. This never happened. Each time my account was compromised, someone was able to change my pin and home address.

The most recent incident, someone actually had a new card sent to them in Florida and immediately withdrew all of my funds. They were able to change my personal information as well. Now, when I call NetSpend, they hang up on me because my actual information has been changed to match someone in Florida. So I am out over a thousand dollars. I have forwarded all information I have to my state Attorney General and if I see a resolution, it won't be for months or years. This is a corrupt institution right now who is not capable of even interested in "cyber security". The employees are responsible. I seriously hope you consider an alternative to NetSpend. They will take your money.

I bought a Netspend debit card to make a purchase over the internet. They advertise on the package that it is very easy to use. However when tried to activate the card over their webpage, it stated that an error was encountered and that I need it to call their so called Customer Service. You are on hold forever, and when you talk to somebody, they can't help you. So you ask for a supervisor, they put you on hold for another 15 minutes, and the same person comes back and states that the supervisor is not available. Tried to login with the made up username that you filled in and it states that the account is locked and to call Customer Service. If you buy a debit card, you should be able to use it, as soon as you call a number and key in the account number. There is no need to provide your name, address, social security, and phone.

You buy a temporary card so that you don't have to provide all that information. They want all this information, so they can then sell it to someone else. Why would you give your real social security to buy a prepaid card? Now I'm the whole a lot money, with a credit card that I can not activate. This was a really poor choice. These people don't have a clue as to why people buy prepaid cards for. Need to get in touch with a real person, but all you get is a recording stating, "We'll be with you shortly."

My son received one for his birthday as a gift. He tried to use it but it had to be registered. I was told I had to fax my social security card and driver's license in order to activate it. I refused to give my information out for a 30.00 gift card. Today was the last straw. They said 0 on card because they charge 5.00 maintenance fee per month. They literally stole a kids birthday money. Shame on this Company. Shame on Stator Brother's for selling them in their stores.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I would like to thank you for the prompt attention to this matter. I have never had an issue with my account/card since I have been with NetSpend. The 1st two customer service reps were very helpful in this matter (one on 08/22 and then 08/23). As the first two Reps could not dispute the charges at the time as the transactions were pending. The 2nd Rep explained to me that she put a hold on my card so it could not be used, obviously. She also told me that she ordered a card to replace it. She also explained that the card would take up to 2 weeks (gave me an ETA of Sept. 5th) for the card. I was so distraught about the whole situation I was going through, I just accepted the fact. She explained that I should keep an eye on the (2) transactions & wait until they go through and call back to dispute them.

On Friday 08/25 I called and was talking to Mike (employee # **). He IS the absolute example of Customer Service as I am a Customer Service Manager. He went beyond explaining what needed to be done and was very courteous and empathetic about my situation. At that time, I inquired about why my new card would take so long before I get it (as at that point I could not access it – obviously & had NO money, period). Mike explained to me that I could get the card expedited. He said it would cost $25.00 to expedite this and I agreed to it.

I asked him why this was not offered to me in the first place?? He apologized as he was unsure. Maybe the other (2) Reps. were unknowing of this and they were new?? Nevertheless, my point is that I would like make known that you have an excellent Customer Service Rep. in Mike & would like to give an “Atta-Boy” to him. Now what you do with this is at your discretion – I hope is you let him know what a great job he is doing – at least with me he HAS! Again, thank you very much for your help in this matter and Mike.

I have had a Netspend card since July and it has been hell ever since. I had a temporary card through a check cashing place and it was a Netspend card and that was fine. When they sent me a permanent card it was fine at first but it was accidentally reported stolen. So they sent me a new card now I can't activate it to access the rest of my money. I want my money and no I don't want it sent by check!

I've been using my Netspend Card for a few years now. I was offered the card via TurboTax and have liked its features ever since. I've even gone as far as opting to have my direct deposit payments routed to my card. BIG MISTAKE!! Apparently, Netspend has the worst customer service. When it comes to helping customers, they choose to treat them like scum instead. From my perspective, it seems to be easier for them to place a customer on hold for over an hour and let the call drop than to help the customer. After using their service for years, I found myself in a compromising position when the magnetic strip on my card stopped reading.

I couldn't get my money off the card and I couldn't transfer it to most accounts via PayPal or Square Cash because my card is still considered a prepaid card. I tried to transfer the funds to another Netspend Card but to no avail. Netspend treated me worse than the other companies although I've been their customer for years! They offered very little explanation and ran away from my situation. I couldn't understand why I was being ignored call after call. I'm not a combative person so maybe I'm annoying them with my problems. I will be removing my funds from Netspend the minute my card arrives in the mail. My loyalty to them was a priceless that they don't need to have. It's not worth it.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Received a loan for a home construction project. Money is on a NetSpend MC. Ordered lights and was on back order. Called and canceled. Received cancellation number. NetSpend will not give my refund back which is over one thousand dollars. Did everything they ask me. Home Depot said they never took money, canceled order authorization 9 minutes after requesting. They told me if I would get Home Depot on a 3 way call and they confirmed that then in 6 hours money would be released. I did that. Then they wanted Home Depot to send something on letterhead stating that they wouldn't collect. Home Depot said they never took money, so they didn't have anything to send.

I forwarded my cancellation email and they said that wasn't good enough either. Telling me I have to wait 30 days which I don't have. I'm at a complete loss. Would give 0 stars if could. Also when you call, you're not calling United States and they will not let you either. Have spent over 3 hours on the phone and can not be resolved. Worst company I have ever dealt with and I'm almost 50.

The only reason I used Netspend is that I completed my taxes via TurboTax. My first experience with TurboTax and Netspend was satisfactory. I had no problems whatsoever. I completed my taxes via TurboTax this year and again opted to have the funds put on a Netspend card. This year dealing with Netspend was an ABSOLUTE disaster. The card was sent to my home within a reasonable amount of time. The problems arose when I tried to activate the card. I spent over an hour trying to explain the purpose of my call with individuals that were overseas and who could barely carry on a conversation with me. They do try to stick to a script and then the language barrier was TERRIBLE.

I was told in order to use the card I had to send them documents to prove my address. I spent a whole week sending in almost every piece of mail and i/d card I had and they rejected everything. They sent a list of approved documents, I would send the required articles from that list and they still rejected my information. I was under the impression that they were actually trying to keep my tax refund. I had to complain to the BBB in order to get this problem rectified. I won't be using TurboTax any longer and I definitely won't be using Netspend after this bad experience. I don't like feeling like people are working hard to keep funds they aren't warranted to. This was an extremely scary experience and I will never put myself through it again. Don't be fooled by all the commercials that they run on TV and listen to the reviews that tell you Netspend has a problem applying YOUR money to YOUR Netspend account.

Hello Terry,
We regret to hear about the issues you experienced with your account. We would like to resolve this for you, please feel free to contact us at social@netspend.com so we can rectify this situation.
Thanks,

Netspend

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I received a call from Netspend Fraud Center about a questionable charge appearing pending. Advised the rep yes, it was so they cancelled the account immediately. It was also the same day I had auto repairs done and was therefore left without a way to pay the automobile vendor. First rep wasn't listening to the urgency of my situation--paying the vendor. Requested a Supervisor thinking the upgrade in title would mean more solutions created on their end. My solution was paying the vendor. (By the way, stop giving basic reps titles Relieving Supervisors, who only give a loquaciously worded "NO.") This person Candace **, instructed me to get another card and do a transfer of funds and THEN the payment could be made to the auto vendor. She was also quite combative, introducing irrelevant account info, which seemed to cloud the conversation and give the illusion power and knowledge in the process.

I proceed to Walmart, buy another card. Call customer service to activate that card; proceed to do the transfer. The new Rep then tells me the transferred funds to the new card would not be available 4 hours later. Employee #** never stated that and gave the impression that the transfer would allow immediate availability to the funds. Keep in mind I have an auto repair vendor looking at me for payment. Since that was not working I have a family member pay for it. The rep tells me I will received two replacement cards. One for the newly activated temporary card and one for the original permanent account. I thought why would I need two permanent replacement cards. That reason becomes more apparent later.

Then TWO days later I am in the grocery store attempting to use the temporary card and had purchases declined. I return home and call customer service to find out the TRANSFER PROCESS was not done. Some in-house procedure wasn't followed and I was still experiencing gridlock in a process where clear communication with customers is critical. I am not returning a pair of shoes, THIS IS WHERE MY SALARY IS DIRECT DEPOSITED. The reps showed no empathy or expertise in their occupation. For me, the latter is more important. Eventually, the transfer was done and the funds made immediately available. Since my salary is direct deposited, I had asked both reps #** and the rep who completed the transfer, WHERE WILL MY DIRECT DEPOSIT FUNDS APPEAR AND ON WHAT CARD? I was told they would follow my temporary card and would be available there.

Today, I call just to follow up again on this rock solid dependable customer service. Also I called to activate the permanent card replacement for the temporary card. Here, I was told that I will be charged the Signature and In Store Usage Fees each time I used the card. I then reminded the rep, I had a premier account was billed a flat month fee. He retorted, "That doesn't apply with this card and account." The rationale in sending you a temporary permanent replacement card is to make more money in the per usage charges. I don't understand why it takes 12-14 days to send a permanent account replacement card, but a temporary activated replacement can be sent out in 5 days. Asked this rep, "Where will the account information online appear for the permanent account where the direct deposit posts?"

He replied, "The direct deposit info will post to the initially cancelled card." That balance will be visible online under the CANCELLED CARD record. However, I could not access those funds until I receive, that permanent account replacement. Keep in mind I had already received a permanent replacement card for the TEMPORARY. The work around the rep suggested was to transfer the DIRECT DEPOSIT FUNDS to the permanent card (temporary account) and still gain access. However, the per usage fees would still apply, even though the funds are coming from the Permanent Card account where the monthly flat fee exists. The rep also refused to grant permission to waive the per usage charges. His workaround: Send expedited card for until PERMANENT ACCOUNT CARD arrives-$25 dollars or utters "just wait." Gee thanks, such kind words are endearing.

The reputation of a financial service is not evaluated on how things are when everything is going great, but when problems arise. They will arise particularly with automation and finances. This account is used to pay monthly utility and household expenses. Of course the customer will weather under the pressure with the torrential disarray over their money. That's why knowledgeable, efficient and honest customer service voices will erect or erode a company's reputation. Keep your relationship with Netspend simple. Complication breeds confusion.

I’m doing my taxes on TurboTax and it gave me the option of putting the money on a card and I co-opted for that. At the time, the NetSpend card was something that was a good fit for me but I've been with them for over 10 years now. I had since kept it only because it helps me from a budgetary standpoint. I put a certain amount of my check on that card and that’s my spending money. They also had something similar to a cash back thing for when I shop at different places. They had it with Starbucks a couple months back and I had to go and activate the card, then I got a certain percentage back on my card for using it.

However, I used to use NetSpend for more than my spending money, then I had something that went into my account that I did not authorize and it was hard-pressed trying to get my money back. A lot of times, the representatives have a script that they’re reading from. It’s not a personalized encounter and that’s one of the things that’s lackluster. I know NetSpend is not a regular bank, but in a regular bank, if there is a transaction that is showing pending, it’s not actually something that you had done. It was a pending transaction and I told them that I didn't know where it was coming from, that I did not authorize the transaction and that I didn't want them to pay it. They told me I had to call the other party. But why did I need to call them when NetSpend is who I'm entrusting my money to? Since it’s my money and I’m NetSpend's customer, they should have the other party prove to them that I said they could have my money.

Plus, there are also some rules that the company has in place and the reps don’t have the flexibility to go around. I told the rep that I wanted to speak to his boss, somebody who's in charge, and that didn't work. They’re not empowered enough to actually help the consumer and I get it. Some people might lie and say somebody took my money and they didn’t but they need to give their customer the benefit of the doubt and follow the process.

That happened two times and I was really pissed off. It wasn’t a whole lot but it was the principle of saying so. I remember telling the girl that it didn't matter if it were a couple hundred dollar. Some people are on a tight budget and that can be detrimental to someone. That part of the service was not good and from that point on, I only put a certain amount in there. That’s just going to be my spending money and if somebody happens to steal $12, I’m not going to be that concerned about it because I know it’s going to be like pulling teeth trying to get it back. If it’s not major and my whole transaction is not going in there, then I’m good.

Hello Angela,

Thank you for your feedback. We regret to hear about your experience with Customer Care.

We truly apologize for the inconvenience caused by our Customer Service, and will be sure to further research the service that you experienced. Your feedback is important to us as they help identify where we need to improve.

Please contact us at social@netspend.com, so that we may further assist you.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

I've been with Netspend for a very long time, but this weekend I have had enough after calling about an ongoing issue with them. I had two cards on my account. One with my name and one with Hubby's name on it. When his expired I had to call and get a new one. It came in mail with my name on it not his. This has become a year long issue trying to replace. It with his name, still not resolved for sure. When I call they send me to a different dept (so they say) which really sends me back to the select menu you get when you call them. I Asked to speak with a supervisor I was sent back to the select menu, ask to speak with someone in the USA, yep back to the select menu. Unbelievable horrible customer service. Should say -five for star.

Hello Letrelle,

Thank you for your feedback. We regret to hear you have concerns with your fee schedule. We offer different fee schedule options please feel free to contact us at social@netspend.com, so that we may review your options.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

I used NetSpend because of how they offered to have customers get paid two days in advance if they have their direct deposit on the card. It was very easy to pay bills and make online purchases with my NetSpend card, and it was just like if I had a credit card. I've also used the reload locations, but it was very rare for me to do that. In addition, I earned points when I was on the website and that was really cool because I used the card on a regular basis, so it was nice to be earning some benefits from it.

But I don’t use the card anymore and I have a bank account now. My card was declined twice when I made a purchase even though I knew for a fact that I had the money available on my card because I just got paid. I was in line at the grocery store, swiped my card, then got declined, and there were people behind me, and that was horrible and very embarrassing. I had to call NetSpend to unlock my card and I didn’t like that.

Another thing that I didn't appreciate either was when I withdrew money and I was charged $3, although I went to a specific bank where I'm not supposed to be charged. I had to call NetSpend to have them correct that and this happened more than once. Those fees add up and I don’t like being charged all that extra money. Although such things happen, experiencing these issues on a consistent basis and having to call NetSpend repeatedly about them turned me off and I stopped using NetSpend. But the customer service reps were always very nice and whenever there were issues, they were very apologetic and really tried to make these right, but it was frustrating when these were going on. But if NetSpend would remove the glitches, I would be glad to be a customer again.

Hello Taloria,

Thank you for your feedback. We regret to hear that you are having trouble receiving your replacement card.

We truly apologize for the inconvenience caused by our customer service, and will be sure to further research the service that you experienced. Your feedback is important to us as they help identify where we need to improve.

Please contact us at social@netspend.com so that we may rectify this situation.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

I've been with Netspend since October of 2016. I received this card from my job. It's how we are paid. The 2nd week of August I accidentally broke my card. I called to have a replacement card sent to me. I TOLD the agent that assisted me my card is not stolen or lost I only needed to replace broken card. I was told there would be a 5 dollar fee and I'd receive my card in 7 to 10 days. I got paid that very day. At no time was I told they would hold my paycheck for that time. I TOLD them it's NOT stolen or lost. I go to grocery store. My card won't work. I try pumping gas. My card still isn't working.

I call Netspend back. The first person hung up after I once again TOLD them my problem. I immediately call back get another agent who informs me they can help me pay my bills using a routing number but they can't fix my card so I can pay for food or purchase gas to get to and from work. I now have to take out a loan and pay the interest to feed my kids and go to work. The people at Netspend kids are full and they can go to work. There's nothing like a company that treats you like they would like to be treated. Unfortunately for me I got Netspend instead. Good luck to anyone who chooses this company. They do NOT listen or have your back if they mess up. I wish I could dump this company but my job won't switch or let me use my checking account. There's nothing like being surrounded by people who have you. Maybe next time that's who I will get.

I would not recommend Netspend Reloadable Visa. I have always used these visas (from other companies) to pay bills online. The first time I used Netspend will be my last. After I used the card to pay my TV bill online, the payment never made it to the consumer. Netspend online dashboard was showing as a pending transactions. TV company NEVER received any payment. So when I called and explained the situation, and tried to cancel the payment completely, have the money refunded back to my card, I would try again. Well, Netspend is making me submit over the top documentation saying the payment was canceled by my TV company. This is the part I don't get. If I cancel the payment, and the TV company attempts to take out, it will be flagged and not go through.

So now, I have $200 being held by Netspend until I have an email stating the transaction was canceled. No one at Netspend is understanding the TV company never received the payment to start with. I'm not incurring late fees, and still $200 short, because of their mistake. It's a headache, it's frustrating. I would recommend GreenDot, or take the chance with your bank account. This has been the most horrible experience. Customer service was rude, and rushing me off the phone. 15 hours later, I've only been told my documentation will not due. I'm in tears over this, I'll be out an additional $200 on Saturday. These are decisions I shouldn't be making, when mistakes are made from the provider's end. Again, use with caution.

Hello Paulette,

Thank you for the 5 star rating! We are excited to hear that you are very happy with our services. We truly value our cardholder's and aim to provide the maximum customer experience.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

It was 2005 when I decided to try NetSpend out. My husband had it and told me that I would get my check earlier with it which is what I wanted. I also had issues with Bank of America when my wallet was stolen and they try to charge me like I still have the card instead of reimbursing me the money that was taken out of my account. So I took my money from them. NetSpend's customer service reps have always been nice. They get the information they need and take care whatever needs to be taken care of.

Everything was so much easier especially when they tell me on the phone what’s been spent. So if I need to send somebody out with my card, I know they have spent more than I told them to spend. I had an issue with some money coming out of my account, they found the problem and took care of it. The biggest thing is, I got my money back within the week. I’ve also done change jobs and I take my card with me. When I was in Atlanta, I use the extra cash in. But I found out now that I’m in Florida, I can go to the grocery store and put money on my card. I also do anything online and use it because it’s very convenient. It’s the best card I've had. I love it and I’ve even referred folks to them.

Netspend Company Profile