4.1/5 (194 ratings)

About Netspend

Netspend offers prepaid debit cards from Visa or Mastercard with no activation fees and no minimum balance requirements. You can qualify for its services without a credit check. The company has multiple loading options, including by direct deposit, through your phone or at a reload station.

Pros

• No activation fee
  • No minimum balance requirement
  • No credit check

Cons

• Daily spending and withdrawal limits
  • Fees associated with transactions

Bottom Line

Netspend prepaid cards are easy to sign up for, and the company has no credit check and no activation fee for online orders. You pay fees monthly or per transaction, but the card doesn’t require a traditional bank account.

Top Netspend Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I've had Netspend for a while now and I love them. The app is amazing and I can get my paycheck up to two days earlier. Anytime I have any kind of questions, I can always reach th...

Verified

I'm happy to be with Netspend. I've been with them for years and I love it. In fact, I'm trying to get my mom and my sister to join it too. It's easy to use the reload locations a...

What is Netspend?

Netspend offers prepaid cards from Visa and Mastercard. These cards provide the convenience of a debit card without requiring a bank account. The company does not conduct credit checks, and the cards are a useful way to receive paychecks through direct deposit if you do not have a bank account. Direct deposit funds could be available on your card up to two days faster than a paper check.

When you sign up for the Netspend’s mobile app, you can check your account balance, send and receive money on the go, find the nearest reload location and check recent transactions. Netspend also features a rewards program and an interest-earning savings account.

Netspend’s services also let you transfer money from friends’ or family members’ accounts.

How does Netspend work?

Once you’ve signed up for a Netspend prepaid card, you receive your card within seven to 10 business days. There is no credit check, but you must verify your identity — the company limits usage on cards without verified identities.

Netspend sends transaction alerts to your phone so you know when you receive deposits, when transactions go through or get declined and when your balance is getting low. Netspend cards come with zero-liability fraud protection in case someone uses your card fraudulently. You can also enroll in a protection plan that covers overdrafts up to $10.

As long as you have funds in the account, you can use the card at any location that accepts Visa and Mastercard.

How much does Netspend cost?

Netspend does not charge an activation fee. When you load the card and begin using it, the company charges fees to your account. You can choose a monthly reduced rate plan or pay-as-you-go fee structure that charges per transaction.

Netspend charges a monthly rate of $9.95 or $1.50 per transaction. You can save on monthly fees by enrolling in direct deposit. Other fees for Netspend’s services include:

• ATM withdrawals: $2.50
  • ATM balance inquiries: 50 cents
  • Cash reloads: $3.95
  • Over-the-counter cash withdrawal fee: 2.75% of the total or $4.00, whichever is greater
  • Account-to-account transfers: $4.95 when done by an agent

There are no fees for direct deposit or paper check services if you use Netspend’s mobile app, and bill payment fees vary. If you do not use your card for 90 days, you will be charged a $5.95 inactivity fee.

Netspend FAQ

How long does it take to receive my Netspend card in the mail?
It takes seven to 10 business days to receive your Netspend card in the mail.
How do I get a Netspend card?
You can apply for a Netspend card online. You need to verify your identity, but there is no credit check required. The company asks you to provide your name, street address, date of birth and some additional personal information.
When will my direct deposit be available with Netspend?
When you enroll in direct deposit with your Netspend card, funds could be available up to two days earlier than a paper check.
How do I find my routing number and account number for Netspend?
Your routing and account numbers are available on your online Netspend account, by texting Anytime Alerts or by calling customer service.
What is the daily withdrawal limit for NetSpend?
The daily ATM withdrawal amount from Netspend is $940. You can withdraw up to $325 per transaction with a limit of six withdrawals in 24 hours.

Is Netspend legit?

Netspend prepaid cards are processed by Visa and Mastercard. While Netspend charges fees, its prepaid cards are available with no credit check. You do not need a bank account, but your card is eligible for direct deposits that can get you paid up to two days faster than a paper check. Netspend also offers extra features, such as a mobile app that lets you deposit paper checks by using your smartphone. If you don’t have time to get to the bank to cash or deposit checks, this convenience can help you pay bills on time.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Netspend?

Original review: March 31, 2022

I like Netspend. I have it to where I get a text every time I use it, so I know how much, where, and when I am spending. If you can afford doing the text feature, then go for it. That's a safety feature I like, and I hate calling to see how much is on my card constantly. The first couple of times I called customer service was strange, because I had a hard time understanding what one of them was saying. The third time I called though, the girl was great. Two out three is pretty good. I hate going into the store not knowing how much I have on my card as well, and I always know with Netspend. It's really good.

At first, I thought the fees were a little hard, but considering everything they do, with keeping track of when and where my card is being used, it’s fine. I'm very comfortable with that part, and I would definitely recommend Netspend to somebody else. I do direct deposits from work, and sometimes, Netspend pays me two days before I get paid on Wednesday. Usually, it's Monday, or Tuesday, the latest. Also, I’m doing my taxes tomorrow, and I’m gonna use my Netspend card.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2021

My son bought a card for his daughter for school, and he bought me one so that I would have one as well. I don't use a credit card, and this way, if I'm broke down or if I do something, I have a bit of extra money with me. I don't like credit cards for the simple reason it's too easy to steal them. I use my Netspend card so that it's like a debit card. I prepay for it so that I can only have that much money there in case somebody wants to steal it.

Another thing is you go somewhere then somebody tries to take your money by whatever means, they can get into your credit system. With a Netspend card, they can't, because all I got in there is what I put in there. If I hand my card to my grandson and say, "I want you to fill up the gas cans for my lawnmower," and he decides he wants to fill up his car, the only thing that he can do is what's in it. If there's only $30 in it, then he could only spend $30, period. I won't have an overdraft on it. My son, my granddaughter and I use Netspend all the time, and I recommend it to friends.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2021

I go to Dollar General and put money on the card if I need to, but I have direct deposit through my work too. People say that you get your check two days early, but that's not true. Maybe government checks, they might move it two days before, but regular paychecks, they don't. I'm a salary worker, so thankfully, I get paid $350 a week. Also, I'm new to Netspend and I found out that the card doesn't have a chip in it that you can slide, so I'm not even gonna try and put it in the ATM.

I've experienced identity theft before, but I am not afraid of identity theft with Netspend. I don't feel people could just steal all my money off of this card. I also feel comfortable giving my Netspend number, that people are not gonna steal any identity. I tell everybody that I work with, "Go get a Netspend card and put your money on that from work." Netspend just sent me the advantage card, and I haven't activated that yet, but with the advantage card instead of the prepaid card, you get more incentives like no fees at some places. You still have to pay your ATM fee though.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2021

With NetSpend, I can get my direct deposit two days earlier. They let me know when it's being processed. A lot of the other places I went to like Chime and RushCard always have default and discrepancies in their cards and plans. Ever since I've been with NetSpend, I've never had any discrepancy. Even when there's something on NetSpend that isn't supposed to be there, they do their own investigation and they remove that and put the money back on the card. Last month, I found a default. They didn't return my $20 payment but I didn't worry about that. I didn't say anything because NetSpend said it was gonna take a while. But the $20 never made it on the card. But I'm still not mad because of that and I'm still on NetSpend.

When I lost my child's mother due to breast cancer, I told NetSpend about it and they switched the card to the breast cancer pink card for me. I like them compared to anybody else I have been with. What puts NetSpend above everybody including banks and credit unions is that they do not charge all that extra for overdraft. It’s a certain amount you had to get to before they even start charging the overdraft. Also, they only let you go a certain length of overdraft. So that’s like budgeting and managing your money which is great.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2021

I have the app where I can manage my transactions as well as see if I pay the bill that it's paid on time and the money that I put on there when it gets there. Every time I put money on my card, it sends me a text message so I know it's automatically on there. I don't have to sit around and wait, and I can always go paperless. I get a lot of alerts too. I have my Apple Pay and everything goes there. They alert me on that and if I'm low, they alert me too. Every time tax season comes up, they say, “You know you can have it loaded on your Netspend card.”

I used to have direct deposit on Netspend a long time ago, but I switched it. It's good for direct deposits though because it goes automatically on there. Some direct deposits might take up to 24 hours, but with Netspend, it's fast. Their reps are very hands-on too. If I call, I don't have to wait on hold for that long, and if I said, "I paid for this, but I didn't receive it. But I'm trying to get a refund," they'll be right on it and handle everything for me.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

I love Netspend and I like using it. It’s very convenient. I do check cashing and that pops up in 20 minutes. Get the card.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2022

I am very happy with NetSpend. I will use your services for every card transaction I ever do in the future and currently. Thank you for always being a good service for the consumer. P.s. You could remove those monthly costs to make it better though! Just saying...

Original review: Sept. 8, 2022

I needed a card to pay with rather than handling a lot of cash. Netspend was offering and I decided to use them because they’re much better than the bank. What I like about Netspend is you don’t necessarily have to sign up for anything you don't want and just have the card. I’m pretty happy with my card. I’m doing good.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2022

The reps are very helpful and friendly. They answer my questions to where I can understand them. Netspend is a little bit more convenient for me because my checks were always sent three days before. The rep pointed out direct deposit so I don't have to go through my mailbox to get a check and cash it. Give them a try. Netspend is really good. You get your money and you have your card. You can get a loan too.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2022

I love using my Netspend card. It’s so much easier to use when ordering stuff online. I don’t have to worry about my account being hacked like my bank account. I am homebound so having my Netspend card gives me more freedom. I just have a family member or friend that I trust go to the local Safeway and put more money on the card as I need. I just wish I had a card with a higher amount that I could load onto it. That way during the holidays I wouldn’t have to have my card loaded as often. I live out of town so it would be more convenient to use.

Netspend Company Information