2.92/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Netspend is a leading provider of reloadable prepaid debit cards in the U.S. Our mission is to empower the millions of folks who don’t want or don’t have a traditional bank account. Netspend offers more than a piece of plastic with numbers on it. With a Netspend card, our cardholders get a bank-issued, FDIC-insured account that’s complete with fraud protection and global acceptance. Cardholders can even use unique virtual accounts for safe online shopping. Netspend gives cardholders the convenience of loading cash at more than 130,000 locations in the U.S., and the peace of mind that comes with getting paid faster with direct deposit. If you already have a Netspend card, “Thank you!”

4681 Netspend Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I'm a 63 yr old male on very low income. I barely can live on the money I get from the gov. My Netspend card was stolen on 08/10/2018 or 08/11/2018. I called and reported it to Netspend. They asked a few questions. One was did I make a PIN purchase at a store for 4.29. I said no. I realized I made a mistake that I did on 08/11/2018 at a gas station. The thief used my card as a credit card totaling about 118$. Netspend held a investigation. They came back as they was no error was based on my PIN # not credit card being used without my permission. They since have closed the case and refused to reopen it. I was short 118$ that I needed for food or meds. Service reps tell me they can't give out a email address or a number for this dept. What! Need help here.

Netspend response

Hello James, Thanks for the feedback. We see a member of our team has been in contact with regarding your concerns. If you have any other concerns, please contact us at social@Netspend.com. Thank you, Netspend

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Debit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I've been with Netspend since 2005 and they have always had my Social Security check deposited there. Every time I've had a problem, they've always been there to help me. Like one time when somebody got my account, they were able to verify those charges. They were also courteous to give me access to the funds while they were investigating and they did it by the book. I also appreciate the fact that I have overdraft protection and that my deposits come in a few days earlier than when it's supposed to which helps out. Also, if you have a loved one that's up in another state and you need to send them some money, you could have them with another card and they'd be able to go and do a withdrawal or a transaction. I have confidence in Netspend and I don't think I'm gonna be changing.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

My relatives gave me one of these as a gift for graduating from college in May of last year. It got lost after a move and I just recently found it. I tried to activate it but the website told me something went wrong. Then when I called to activate it it told me it didn’t exist. When I was finally able to talk to someone about it they told me the company takes money from the card while it doesn’t get used. So I basically didn’t get a graduation present because this sewage factory of a company took all the money.

Netspend response

Hello Lina, Thank you for reaching out to us in regards to your account concerns. We regret to hear that our fee schedule does not meet your expectations. Please contact us at social@netspend.com so that we can resolve this issue for you. Thank you, Netspend

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I was went and purchased a Netspend card to start using for bills online and such. Sometimes I need to put cash on there for other things. I spend money to purchase card, typical, right. Then I use the card for a few days, waiting on my permanent card to come in... I noticed that my balance wasn't matching up to my records, so I look into this. They have charged me $1 for EVERY time I've swiped card. In a total of $11 in 3 days. I was shocked. When I called customer service, he of course just kept saying, this was their policy, so sorry. Smh...

I asked to talk with a manager, in which the guy put me on hold for 20 minutes and essentially dropped my call... I would not use this company. I see they list their good reviews, but you'll see way more people have scored them a 1 than any other scores. If it was up to me they wouldn't get one, but you have to select one. WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER... YOU WILL NOT GET ANOTHER PENNY FROM ME. #CROOKS

Netspend response

Hello Andria, Thank you for reaching out to us in regards to your account concerns. We regret to hear that our fee schedule does not meet your expectations. You can view your fee plan options online via your Online Account Center under the Terms & Conditions Tab. If you have trouble locating this information feel free to contact us at social@netspend.com for further assistance. Thank you, Netspend

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Netspend is an easy way to get my tax return. I use it on a daily basis and I got my company direct deposit into it. The only problem I’ve had is they used to offer bank transfers over the mobile app, and I haven’t been able to do that anymore. I called since I had questions about that and the only thing I was told was that they weren’t doing it anymore, and they didn’t know when it was gonna start back up. Still, I’m pretty happy with the card and the customer service. I’ve had no problems with it since I’ve had it. I’ve recommended it to friends and they’ve gotten it. It being a prepaid card, they can’t overspend what's in the account. They don’t have to worry about overdraft fees and it's accepted everywhere ‘cause it’s a Visa card.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Netspend?

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Since using NetSpend, I get my check early. I use the direct deposit option monthly, and it is easy to get money using it. Also, I use my NetSpend card to pay bills and make online purchases. It’s very convenient, except I can’t use it at some places like QVC because they won’t take it unless it’s a bank card.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I called many times, initially to report the theft and then many times afterwards I was given partial phone nos with 3 digits. I was told that was all they had, I was cursed and yelled at, left on the phone, hung up on! Netspend told the BBB that I only called once and every time they called me I never answered and that the matter was closed! All of this happened 2009 to 2010! I'm a disabled citizen on a meager income! I was evicted because I had no rent money and I still hurts right to this day!

Netspend response

Hello Willette, Thanks for the feedback. We see a member of our team has been in contact with regarding your concerns. If you have any other concerns, please contact us at social@Netspend.com. Thank you, Netspend

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I really like getting paid earlier with NetSpend. It's a good benefit. They also lets me know through text message after every transaction that I do. I really like to watch my money to make sure that it’s being used by only myself. I have an app for online banking, although I have been having issues lately because I recently lost all my vision, so it’s really hard for me to navigate through it. But it was very, very easy when I had the vision.

The NetSpend card is pretty flexible and I could use it for everything else. I use it 100% of the time and whenever I stumble upon funds that I need to put away, I go to my local grocery store and they deposit the funds there for free in a matter of minutes. I would get a text message saying that it should be available in about seven minutes. I’m pretty satisfied with the card, but I wish they could make it compatible with Apple Pay. That would be another convenience that I could use.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

NetSpend sends texts with your balance and how much was spent after every use with the card. One time, there was an expense that didn’t belong to us and we caught it immediately. You don’t have to wait for your statement and find out that somebody has been misusing your card. It’s very efficient and easy to monitor without me having to log in and check on stuff. I can’t use it for Apple Pay which requires a bank account but I don’t have any problems using NetSpend anywhere that you can use a credit card.

If I don’t have enough money in my account, it doesn’t get paid and I don’t end up with overdraft fees which helps me manage my money better. I prefer that it gets kicked back if I don’t have the money. I get a little text that says, “You didn’t have enough money in the account to pay this transaction". I heard about NetSpend from a local check cashing place. Once or twice, I contacted them by secure messaging on their website and I got a response within 24 hours.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

NetSpend gave me immediate access to my money once it was deposited. So, I went with them. Also, I was referred by someone back in 2012. Whenever I use my card, I like being able to have my money immediately. I also use the card to pay bills or make purchases online. I use direct deposit frequently on it and it seems good for me.

But when I had to call in multiple times, trying to get a transfer from my savings to my checking account, I had a terrible experience. They refused to do it and were trying to tell me that I had done it too much within the month. I understood that but then, I was just trying to cancel the savings account, put all my money in one account, and have full access to it. They were telling me I couldn’t do it and it didn't make sense. If I wanted to cancel my account, I shouldn't have to beg them to do that because it is my account. But I eventually gained access to the money that I needed instead of having to do the transfer. Other than that, I never had any issue and I would recommend NetSpend.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

When it comes to depositing and using the card online, I have had absolutely no problems with Netspend but some companies here in my area will not accept a debit card online. They will only take a check. Netspend has about two or three extra numbers in their account numbers and when I put in the routing number and the other account number, I can't use it like a check. Capital One won't take either the debit card or the check number from Netspend. I've talked to Netspend about it and they said that's just the way they have their numbers set up and nothing can be done.

Sometimes, it's a little hard getting my point across to their team. They sent a brand new card but I didn’t ask for one and I was surprised at that. I thought maybe somebody hacked into the computer and ordered a card but I found out later it was just one of the things that they do with customers that have been with them for a while. I had two of them and my wife keeps one at the house in case I'm out-of-town.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I saw a NetSpend advertisement at a check cashing place many years ago. I’ve been with them for seven years and I haven’t had any problems with them. I’m able to pay all of my bills online and I don’t have to go and get money orders and things of that sort. It saves a lot time. Being disabled and not being able to go places, it helps a lot. I use direct deposit which is simple for me. However, their customer service is rather difficult, so I track everything online. You have to go through all these prompts to get to a customer service agent. The few times I’ve called, they talk in broken English so it’s kind of hard to understand them. My cards expire in a few weeks, and I still haven’t gotten new cards. They normally wait until two weeks before your card expires, and then you have to scramble to change your card information on any automatic payment that come out. They should send it 60 days and not two weeks.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I appreciate NetSpend's service. I get paid three days earlier with them. I use direct deposits more frequently and I've used the reload locations a few times and that has worked out good, too. I've also used NetSpend for online transactions and it's been heaven sent. I love it. However, their customer service has been a little different for the most part and it's been hit or miss. Still, with NetSpend, I have been able to handle banking in a way that I couldn’t do before because the banks were taking away too much money from me. Even if I get charged $2.50 every time I use the ATM to take out my money in 200 or 300 bucks, I could receive that and still get what I need to get accomplished.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

A friend of mine, who sends me money regularly, recommended NetSpend to me. NetSpend has the ability to transfer funds from my friend, so it made sense. I also get my direct deposits with them. There is also an immediate direct deposit going from NetSpend to PayPal. However, there is no PayPal to NetSpend. Having that would be nice. Still, their customer service has also been always helpful.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I've been with Netspend since 2007 and at that time, where I was living, it was the easier way to get my disability checks, so I went with them then and continued with them them. But it’s difficult to get a hold of somebody in their customer service. Sometimes, I cannot get to the automated system and at other times, they don’t answer. Also, I get a text message with any transaction that I do but they never send any notice when they take their $5 monthly fee and they change when they do it. So, I might think that I have $65 in my account and the next thing I know, I only have $60. It would be extremely helpful if they send a text for that too.

Hello Scott,

I regret to hear that you have concerns with the customer service that you have experienced. We assure you that it is always our objective to take care of our cardholders’ interests. Should you experience that issue again, please feel free to contact us further at social@netspend.com.

In regards to the $5 Monthly fee notification. You are correct, the current activity alerts will only alert you of Deposits, charges and withdrawals. However, that is definitely something we will look into, for any possible future updates. This feedback is always useful, as it helps us indicate where we need to improve. - Thank you, Netspend

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I'm all the way around happy with NetSpend. I learned about them on a commercial that I saw, so I went ahead and checked it out. I liked the card, and I’ve been with them for the last couple of years. The benefits have been great. It makes paying bills very easy. I am able to use the card like a regular credit card. Then, I get direct deposit on my cards and I’m able to monitor my funds. Reloading is also very easy and simple. I look up retail store locations on the internet and it tells me places that are close by that I can reload. In a few occasions, charges that I did not authorize were put on my card but NetSpend went ahead and blocked the card and sent me a new one. They were quick to do that. It was very good.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I like all of Netspend's features and the services they offered. I love that they send you a text message every time you make a purchase and that you have a savings account built unto this, too. You can transfer your money to your savings. Also, if you have another card or another person that has it, you can send them money easily. I use my NetSpend card as my main big money card and I have American Express that I use for shopping on different sites. As I need money, I'll transfer money to that so nobody can ever get my goodies out of my NetSpend card.

I used to have a Visa Mastercard and my Mastercard NetSpend, but my stuff got broken into and I lost all my cards. The problem I had was when I called the customer service people, all they could do was send me one card. I asked about my other account and I told them I have all my logins. They said I had to contact somebody else. I got the Visa card when I was filing income tax years ago, but it is still a NetSpend Visa. I logged into that account just like I did with my other one and that was what I used for shopping.

I almost didn’t use NetSpend, but that was why I got the American Express, so I can go shopping now and use my NetSpend for other stuff. Also, I do contract work so when I'm working, I use NetSpend's direct deposit. Any time I have a problem and call, I always get it resolved. I've had some interactions with their reps that are helpful and some that kinda blow you off. But there is usually more good than there is the bad. I recommend Netspend over the other providers to everyone I know.

Resolution response: Sept. 3, 2018

Got them on the phone and they Unblocked it but said it was fraud for something I did use it for. But regardless happy it's taken care of and my card is again usable.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I received a text saying I needed to call before using my card. I call and they are closed. I know how much money is in my account too and now I can't use it. I have a child, and was to go FOOD shopping in the morning and now I can't do CRAP. And won't get paid again for 2 weeks 'cause oh my check got deposited on Netspend!!! I'll be so screwed! I've got to feed myself and my child.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I've been with Netspend for years and I got their card since I could get my payment a couple of days earlier. However, it takes a lot of my money to use the card. They have the overdraft protection for $15. I tried to tell Netspend to go up to a $100. I tried to use the card and they took off $6.25 which I had in my account already and Netspend still charged me $15 overdraft for using my own money.

I've called Netspend many times and sometimes it can go fine but depending on who answers the phone, they can be very rude or nice. They lie to me and when I ask them to talk to their supervisor, they hung up for some reason. It has been an up and down roller coaster with them. I can use the Netspend card to pay bills and for online purchases but some don’t take it when I put money. I have to load money on my part as they wanna deal with the actual bank. I can’t also use the card to take in and rent a car. I wish I had that thing where I have to pay all these money for $3.95 and take my own money to my card. If I can find another bank that would take me and let me get my money early like Netspend does, I will definitely leave Netspend.

Hello Lawan,

Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that you enjoy the features of our cards. We regret to hear about the concerns you experienced with your account. We would like to resolve this for you, please feel free to contact us at social@netspend.com so we can rectify this situation.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

A lady told me about NetSpend and she said that it was easy to get and apply for it. I applied for the card and since using it, I've been able to manage my finances much better. I sometimes use it to pay bills or make online purchases and it's convenient. I use the direct deposit option and it’s easy. I also get the chance to talk to their team all the time. I’m satisfied with my experience.

Hello Denna,

We appreciate you taking the time to write into us and we will share your feedback with our team internally to let them know what you like about our product and services. Feedback like this tell us where we are getting it right. - Thank you, Netspend

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

I'm not happy with NetSpend. They partnered with Ingo, a company that does check loading, to provide services for their customers and it's all automated. You can take a picture of your check and load it. I opened a new NetSpend account and was told that I would be able to do that. However, neither company wants to claim responsibility if anybody falls between the cracks. I filed two complaints. I couldn't get anybody at NetSpend to do anything and they didn't even look into it. I've been waiting since May for a callback, but I never got a single response back from two Supervisors who said that they would escalate the situation. Moreover, Ingo doesn't care. When I called Ingo, I could hardly get through to a real person.

Somebody needs to look at the set-up of that situation. NetSpend needs to be able to get the issue resolved when a customer has a problem. It sounds like they're telling me somebody from NetSpend could not get on the phone with somebody from Ingo to sort everything out. If there's a problem, there should be a way to resolve it. However high it needs to go, that's how high they should have gone to sort out why the issue is happening, because I guarantee that I'm not the only person that the issue is happening to.

I'm trying to close down my accounts right now and if I want to go back on my account that I've had for multiple years, they cannot provide me with the export file of all of my records without some crazy charge. If a customer wants to close their account, they should be able to provide that. It's all computerized now and all they have to do is push a couple of buttons. I'm stuck doing it by hand going back 10 years to look at each statement, month-by-month and save it to my computer so that I can close my account. I'm keeping one card though. Netspend was very helpful when I did not have a bank account. The great thing about a debit card is that I could travel. Between that and my PayPal, it was great. I didn't have to open a bank account and be tied to a place. I would prefer to stay on debit cards.

Netspend response
Dear Lelaine, Thanks for the feedback. We truly apologize for any inconvenience you've experienced. We certainly care about your business and satisfaction as a customer. Please contact us at social@Netspend.com and we would be happy to help you.

Netspend

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I’ve been using NetSpend for a long time and I get paid faster with them. Their online banking made me manage my finances better and using their direct deposit option is very easy. The reps work with me for a long time so they get everything done. I would recommend them.

Netspend response

Hello Ladessa, We appreciate you taking the time to write into us and we will share your feedback with our team internally to let them know what you like about our product and services. Feedback like this lets us know where we are getting it right. - Thank you, Netspend

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I use a PayPal card, which is through NetSpend. Then I decided to go with NetSpend so I could link everything together. I had gotten the card through the PayPal website. Doing direct deposits is extremely easy. Plus, I like the flexibility. If somebody needs to send me cash without having to go through MoneyGram, they can send it straight to PayPal and I’ll just transfer it to my card. That’s a big benefit. The customer service was excellent as well. I’ve had to replace my card after my dog chewed it up and they had gotten me the card out in about four days.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I’ve had NetSpend for over 12 years and with this card, I am able to get an early deposit on my direct deposits. But I wish I have more access to the savings account instead of just six withdrawals. In most cases, people that use NetSpend, if they use the savings account as a savings account, usually transfer to the card only the amount of money that they need or that's necessary for the next couple of days. That way, if anything happens to the card, everything is still left in savings account and nobody has access to it. But if we put too much money on the card and we go past the six withdrawals in a month, then NetSpend closes our account down for 90 days.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I’m a over the road truck driver so my pay is directly deposit into my Netspend. However this is NOT the first time my card has been declined while having well over 2k in my account. Truck payment declined, insurance declined, couldn’t pay my cell phone bill either. Tried calling and naturally they were closed and I’d have to call back tomorrow. Lot of good that does when I couldn’t pay for my ** DINNER!!! Not to mention I couldn’t pay for a shower after sweating my ** off all day, nor could I wash my damn laundry! Why the hell can I NOT access MY money Netspend! If it’s not fixed tomorrow when I call I will be getting Better Business Bureau and my attorney the very next call. I make an honest living out here and I’ll be damn if some ** tries to steal from me!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I’m an over the road truck driver so my pay is directly deposit into my NetSpend. However this is NOT the first time my card has been declined while having well over 2k in my account. Truck payment declined, insurance declined, couldn’t pay my cell phone bill either. Tried calling and naturally they were closed and I’d have to call back tomorrow. Lot of good that does when I couldn’t pay for my ** DINNER!!!! Not to mention I couldn’t pay for a shower after sweating my ** off all day, nor could I was my damn laundry! Why the hell can I NOT access MY money NetSpend! If it’s not fixed tomorrow when I call I will be getting better business bureau and my attorney the very next call. I make an honest living out here and I’ll be damn if some ** tries to steal from me!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I don’t like the banks and used a check cashing place. When they had gotten NetSpend, they told me about it and I started using it. I used to use reload locations when I used to get hard checks and it was easy. but I don’t need to now. Once they had gotten direct deposit everything was great and wonderful. I use it almost everywhere.

My account has been hacked a few times. One time, $50 was being taken out every 30 minutes. It was on the East Coast and going from state to state. They asked if I was sure I didn’t give somebody permission. I said I was in California and that all the transactions are on the Visa side and are all $50 or less. I tried to use the debit side and don’t use the Visa side unless I absolutely had to. It didn't have to be reported. I started getting all the information on my phone.

I love having the receipts come on my phone so I know exactly when somebody was accessing my account and whether the money is going in or money coming out. I don’t know how anybody survives without seeing with their accounts. I think every account should have that. That was how I knew the last two times that my account was being accessed. Receipts started coming through and it was always in the middle of the night when the thieves think you’re not paying attention. But the Visa part of it put the money right back in and it only took a few days. I’ll probably stay with NetSpend forever.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I have called about 15 times and have had to speak to 15 different representatives each time I called only to be placed on a hold that ends up with me having to call again. Finally I got a supervisor who assured me my problem will be fixed the next day. Comes to the next day I still cannot log into my account, because they blocked it. How convenient for them to do that right after I deposited over $1500 into my account and hold my money. I had to call again and the rep transferred me. I was placed on a 50-minute hold before getting a hold of someone. This rep told me I had to verify my account. They then asked me ridiculous questions like which hospital is the one nearest to you and which of these streets is real and stupid questions I could not understand at all. I failed the test of course.

They then asked me to submit my verification info to their email which I did. They reviewed it and said my information does not match? REALLY?!?! All my info is the exact same info that I used to apply for my account and they tell me it does not match??? You freaking serious? So here I am now writing this review as I am on hold waiting to talk to another supervisor. AS soon as I get this issue resolved I will be opening my account elsewhere. Trash customer service.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I've really been enjoying my time with NetSpend. I've had my Control card for five years now. I know where to reload and I get my direct deposits early. Then, I've used my card for online transactions just like a regular debit card. I've also talked to NetSpend's team and had really good interactions. Everybody has been cordial. I would suggest NetSpend to anybody.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

Have skylight through employer, BOFI restricted my purchases after just 1 purchase and they do that all the time. I am now on hold for 49 mins with no one coming back on the line. HORRIBLE service!!!

Netspend expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Netspend is an American provider of reloadable prepaid cards and other financial services. They have been in business since 1999 and work with more than 10 million consumers to make purchases and pay bills, according to their website. Netspend offers FDIC-insured Visa and MasterCard prepaid cards. This is important because not all prepaid cards offer FDIC insurance. But note that prepaid cards do not help you build credit even though you’ll see a Visa or MasterCard logo on the card. Visa and MasterCard are only the payment processors for the prepaid cards.

• Prepaid cards: Netspend offers prepaid cards for Americans who either don't have a traditional bank account, such as checking or savings, or who can’t get a decent credit card due to a poor credit history. These consumers are often referred to as “the underbanked” because they lack access to traditional banking relationships. With a prepaid card, consumers load their own money onto the card. The card can then be used to make purchases. For those who don’t have a bank account, this is especially helpful for making purchases online or when you need to pay bills.

• Costs: There is no cost to open the account. There are three purchase plan options to choose from, including a pay-as-you-go plan.

• Corporate cards: Netspend has many prepaid card solutions for corporate clients that are useful for both employers and employees.

• Widely accepted: The company has over 70,000 distribution locations across the country and 130,000 reload points where consumers can purchase and reload their prepaid cards. These include retailers, convenience stores, grocery stores, check cashers, pharmacies and tax preparers.

• Customer Support: If you need help, you can contact Netsxpend via email, snail mail or phone. If you decide to call, customer support is available seven days a week.

• Best for: Those who can’t get a traditional bank account but need to make purchases and pay their bills. Also, these cards can be used by companies who want to use prepaid cards to fund a variety of situations, such as paying an employee’s bonus or managing employee expenses.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg