2.50/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Netspend is a leading provider of reloadable prepaid debit cards in the U.S. Our mission is to empower the millions of folks who don’t want or don’t have a traditional bank account. Netspend offers more than a piece of plastic with numbers on it. With a Netspend card, our cardholders get a bank-issued, FDIC-insured account that’s complete with fraud protection and global acceptance. Cardholders can even use unique virtual accounts for safe online shopping. Netspend gives cardholders the convenience of loading cash at more than 130,000 locations in the U.S., and the peace of mind that comes with getting paid faster with direct deposit. If you already have a Netspend card, “Thank you!”

4969 Netspend Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

I filed a claim against purchases I made on iOffer.com a company in China who has several merchants some real and some scammers. I brought to the attention of Netspend and they said they will investigate the claim and let me know within ten days. 10 days go past and I have been locked out of my account! I called to see what was going on. They said they closed my account due to suspicious activity.

I have been with them over 4-5 years making purchases for groceries paying bills and ACH deposits. Never had to really file disputes. This is the second dispute I filed and they said my account was closed because I filed a dispute. When I asked what happen with the disputes I filed from several different merchants during the holiday season in December 2018 the supervisor told me they’re dispute department deemed all of my disputes were not fraudulent. The website I actually ordered the items from told me to contact my bank because they found the merchants I ordered from unlegit and to request my money back.

So Netspend says that their dispute were properly arbitrated and my account was closed due to high risk but that CANNOT BE POSSIBLE IF THE OTHER PARTY IS SAYING IT WAS FRAUDULENT SELLERS AND TO CONTACT NETSPEND TO GET MY MONEY. So Netspend boldly closed my account and said the disputes were properly arbitrated (but did not provide tracking numbers for properly arbitrated dispute). But that’s a lie because one of those disputes was for a double charge on my card which you can clearly see it was for the same amount twice within the same minute. They just wanted to close my account and “end relationship” so they can keep my money.

With that being said they did not do their job as a bank to obtain information such as tracking numbers or even confirmation that the things I ordered were legitimate shipped to me!! Which they’re were not so now I am stuck with a company that does not care and a hard place I ordered things for my family for Christmas and did not receive!! But Netspend dispute team says they did a full investigation. HA WHAT A JOKE. Items I never received tracking information for and a double charge to my card were deemed VERIFIABLE AND NOT REFUNDED!!! AND my account is closed and they will send me a check for any money in my account. I'm going to report them to the FDIC AND FIC. ALSO THE GOVERNMENT IS SHUTDOWN. I need my money. My kids need lunch. My Refrigerator is empty

I will file a Federal report due to lack of arbitration in claims and I will try to appeal claim with the AAA and FAA. Also small claims court with a similar attorney who has dealt with Netspend lawsuits. I think they are ripping people off and closing the accounts. I'm very upset with Netspend. I WANT MY DISPUTES PROPERLY ACCESSED!! All $380 worth and not just closed and saying they finished there dispute assessment! Because you have to find why I haven't got my items from China and my tracking numbers and the double purchase on my Netspend prepaid card! And then get me my money back!!! The merchant already deemed the site was compromised by fraudulent sellers so SOMEONE NETSPEND NOT DO A FULL DISPUTE ARBITRATION. $380 worth of disputes that were not properly arbitrated.

Netspend response

Hello Charm, After review of your account, our records show that a member of our Customer Experience Team has reached out to you. If you have any additional questions or concerns feel free to contact us. Thank you, Netspend

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Debit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

I needed to buy heating fuel with the last money on my Netspend card. They locked my account for no reason. Sitting in a cold house now. DO NOT BUY THIS CARD! They need to be shut down before they hurt more people who make low wages. Shut them down!

Netspend response

Hello David, After review of your account, our records show that a member of our Customer Experience Team has reached out to you. If you have any additional questions or concerns feel free to contact us. Thank you, Netspend

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

We got my husband a Netspend card for his direct deposit for his new job. He got paid last Friday and we are still waiting on the direct deposit to hit the card. Contacted Netspend four different times. Each time was told something different. We are still waiting for his direct deposit. They told us it could take up to 3 business days because it's a direct deposit that's new to the card. People have bills to pay and need their money. It should not take three days after the person's payday.

Netspend response

Hello Leslie, After review of your account, our records show that a member of our Customer Experience Team has reached out to you. If you have any additional questions or concerns feel free to contact us. Thank you, Netspend

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

Please never give one of the Netspend gift cards to anyone. Trying to activate one is insane and even worse try to reach an actual person. My 15 year old daughter received two as gifts. They require social security information along with other personal information just to use. I would rather throw away the $50 than deal with this stupidity. Sad but they probably make it so hard that others do the same. Total BS.

Netspend response

Hello Dwayne, After review of your account, our records show that a member of our Customer Experience Team has reached out to you. If you have any additional questions or concerns feel free to contact us. Thank you, Netspend

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I am 79 years old and on Social Security solely. I moved to Netspend at the advice of my son, because the bank I have banked with for 42 years closed a branch in the and the other branch is too far to drive to. He told me that with this company I didn't need to go into a branch. HOW I REGRET THIS DECISION. My social security was deposited to my account and when I called to activate the card, they tell me my account is blocked. I ask why and they say they need to have more information that identifies who I am. That sounds both secure and reasonable so I agree and email them my State Issued ID, my original social security card which I have had in my wallet for over 50 years and my proof of address. They send me back a letter informing me that they will accept my ID and proof of address but not my social security card.

After sending them the document three times, I finally decided that I needed to close the account and find some other way to bank. Now they say, "You 6 days for your account to settle before we can close it!" I depend on Social security to eat, pay rent, light bill and other expenses some of which are crucial and needed immediately and because of the ineptitude and inexperience of some "back office" person my lights may be shut off. I also have NO food and their ONLY response is, "Sorry for the inconvenience"! I am livid and extremely emotional and upset that I trusted these con artists who are holding my funds hostage!

Netspend response

Hello Ronald, After review of your account, our records show that a member of our Customer Experience Team has reached out to you. If you have any additional questions or concerns feel free to contact us. Thank you, Netspend

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Netspend?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I have been a customer of Netspend for almost a year. Never had any issues that their agents couldn't assist with in a timely matter, until last month. I had a couple disputes. Unauthorized withdrawals in my card, the matters were investigated and I was informed the merchant did a refund, funny thing is, I never got it deposited in my account. So today, I went online to check my balance so I can go to the grocery store and I read a message, "Account LOCKED. Call customer service," so I did. I spoken with several different people and they said due to security reasons I am no longer able to have a Netspend account and they are closing my accounts.

So, the money that I had will be refunded to me within 14 days if I'm lucky to get it. So, I have ZERO funds until I get my imaginary check in the mail, which I can't cash anyways, I don't have a bank. Not sure what I'm going to get to work. I am already on fumes and oh yea, I guess I will have to take my daughter and I to the food shelf to get food and it broke my heart to tell her she can't go roller skating this weekend 'cause mommy's money is being held hostage...

I feel like a fool, I trusted this company with my check and have recommended others to Netspend. It would of been nice if they could of made me aware they were doing this so at least I could of been prepared. If I had done this, taking money from someone I would be in jail. Once the govt shut down is over, I will be filing a complaint with the FIC and I have also filed a complaint with the FDIC. Also contacted an attorney who has told me their firm has handled a lot if cases like mine against Netspend and won... I had done some research and it looks like they are no strangers to lawsuits.

Hello Patricia,

We regret to hear about the issues you experienced with your account. I can see that you have been in contact with a member of our corporate office to try and help resolve your concern.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Been with NetSpend for over 7 years...last year they froze my account due to someone trying to hack my account. Did what I was told to do. Everything was fine. Now my card was compromised again by someone in Jamaica New York... Going to gas station after gas station and filling up whoever's cars. I'm sorry but if you see my card being used at seven gas stations in less than an hour... And a liquor store... Why didn't they red flagged it then. Poor customer service. After $150 was taken off my card at these places. They're saying that I have to wait 3 to 5 business days to dispute these transactions.. I got bills that needs to be paid. Do you think they're going to pay my late fees... Probably not be stuck to me... And make my credit bad. Losing a very valuable customer is all I can say.

Dear Gary,
We regret to hear about the issues you experienced with your account. We would like to resolve this for you, please feel free to contact so we can rectify this situation.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I used the ATM to withdraw money. The problem was the ATM was unable to dispense cash but they took the money from my account anyway. I went into the bank and they told me I had to call my bank. I called NetSpend and they told me it would take 45 days and I would have to email them a update on the status of the dispute weekly to keep it open until I received the money back. I was still in the branch for the bank where the ATM was at. Provided NetSpend the receipt, the bank was willing to speak with them and I was willing to send them a letter from Chase but they still said it didn't matter. I had to wait.

So I spoke with the manager and he said because they don't report to the credit bureaus that the law required them to wait to credit it back. I have never heard such a insane thing. After arguing with him a bit I told him that I would contact the banking commission and attorney general's office and he said he didn't care and could wait to hear from them. So bottom line is just beware that if you ever have any kind of dispute they will not work with you and it's your responsibility to conduct the investigation.

Hello Carrie,

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

This company it’s a scam! My mother-in-law purchased to NetSpend Prepaid Visa card for my sons as a Christmas gift. When I attempted to activate the cards the automated system asked me for all of my personal identification information. I was then transferred to a live advisor when I asked him why was all of my personal information being collected he stated that it was a federal law to help prevent money-laundering terrorism and fraud. I stated that did not make any sense and that I was contacting customer service to confirm what I was told. I called back spoke with a gentleman named Anthony and he explained that the information I was given was correct but that was for a card that I could reload and have deposit put onto if I did not want any of those services I could just have the card activated with limited use.

Meaning once the money on the card had been spent the card would no longer be valid which is what I initially wanted but was never given the option. I called back for the third time to activate the cards with limited use at which time I spoke with a woman. After taking the card information she then transferred me to the fraud department. The gentleman was above and beyond rude and stated that I could not activate the card (mind you I have two & haven’t even been assisted with the first card yet) because this card had already been approved for an account and my card and account information or being mailed to my home! I never agreed, gave consent or authorized the opening of any account!

The man became very rude and stated that that was fine. He could just freeze all activity and have a check mailed to my home. I ask if the second card could be activated with limited use he became even more rude. Ask for the card number and then placed me on hold for 47 minutes! When I call back I was transferred several times to only be told they could not locate that card number information! I filed a complaint with corporate. Was contacted and told that this was an error on Walmart's part and that I would have to contact them.

Well after four hours on the phone with Netspend and another two hours in Walmart it has been verified the money was loaded and gave us the approval codes for BOTH loads! They have been absolutely no help! Had me email proof of purchase and the card info then told they have no idea how long it will take before I receive a response and the complaint is reviewed. Whatever you do DO NOT BUY THIS CARD. IT IS A SCAM!!! And customer service is horrible!

Hello Monica,

I am sorry that you had trouble activating your Netspend cards. And I am very sorry to hear about your experience with some of our customer service agents. I can see you were able to speak with one of analysts in the Corporate Office. I am glad you were able to use the funds on one of your cards. Our Client Services department is still continuing to research why loads were not loaded onto your second card at Walmart.We appreciate your patience while we work to get this resolved.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

The worst direct deposit account. I closed it yesterday and I’m glad I did, I don’t know why they even charge a month for a late direct deposit. I hope they discontinue it. Netspend sucks, Netspend sucks, Netspend sucks. I’m just writing more because I have to in order to send this review.

Hello Sara,
We would like to apologize for your recent experience and sorry to hear you were less than satisfied with our services. Please contact us so that we may discuss your account. We look forward to speaking to you and working towards earning back your business.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

My account was closed by Netspend. They first claimed it was for fraudulent activity, then claimed for security purpose. When I asked what activity was going on to have this occur, they told me that they could not give me a direct answer. So, if I did something wrong (which I have not) why can't they tell me? I have made the same transactions for years. Now all my money is on my card and I have no way of getting to it. They said it will take up to 20 business days before I get the balance on my card. If I did something wrong, why won't say what it is. I have seen throughout the web that many people had the same thing happen. I will make sure to let all I know about this, so they won't get screwed by this company.

Hello George,
We are very disappointed to read of your experience. Please contact us so that we may resolve this issue for you.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I’M TIRED OF GETTING PAID LATE AS **!!! I hate this bank. I’m gonna create a LAWSUIT AGAINST YOU ALL. You have no goddamn idea I’ve been waiting all day for my **. It’s supposed to be posted at 10pm. Where in the ** IS MY MONEY? NETSPEND...

Hello Tailor,
Unfortunately, we are unable to determine when your direct deposit will post, because we have no control on when they are sent in to us. Do keep in mind that we can send you an alert to your phone when it does post. If you haven't already, sign up for text alerts.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

My wife and I had high hopes for this card to provide money for our son. We put money easy enough and thought it was going to work. The first time my son used the card (During the Temporary Card Phase) at a Walmart the card was denied. Also, we did buy the card at a Walmart. I called Netspend customer service and they recommended some "tips" try it at other vendors! This is an unreliable card that is not worth having. If it is not accepted or routinely denied without cause. This is not a good solution for parents who want a safe way to provide funds to older children. And the customer service was very poor quality as well. Needless to say we withdrew all of the funds and will never use Netspend again and we recommend that to all who read this review.

Hello,
We are very disappointed to read of your experience with Netspend. Please contact us, we look forward to speaking to you and working towards earning back your business.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I had gotten a job two years back where instead of getting a paper check, I preferred it going through a card. I didn't have a bank account then and when I was told about the Elite NetSpend card, I signed up for it. I get my checks a couple of days early and that is an awesome perk. It's so amazing that it comes with the card. With NetSpend, I can also pay five bucks and I wouldn't get charged of all those extra fees that come with prepaid cards.

I also use the NetSpend card on the internet and because of that, I don't have to provide all my personal bank information now. In fact, I have an account now but I still haven't gotten rid of the card. I like it that much. I still pay the $5 a month though, and I get charged the ATM fees. I would go to ACE to reload and I don't like if they charge me to put money on the card. I would think that for people who have been with NetSpend for a long time, they can say they're not gonna charge the $5 fee or reimburse a certain amount as a one-time thing for so many ATM transactions. They can offer those perks that way. Nonetheless, they've been good to me. There are also people who don't have bank accounts and need to get a card, and instead of using the other cards, I recommend NetSpend.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I got a NetSpend card today in the mail and I don't know why I got it because I never gave them my information. Reading up on this company I realize that they are all transaction fees. After the first try I understand that NetSpend company reads these reviews. So please take me off your mailing list and I'm positive if you are an illegal company just here to rip people off of their hard-earned money.

Hello Dereka,

I appreciate having the opportunity to speak with you today about your concerns. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us directly.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I like the fact that after every transaction, I get a message letting me know that there has been a transaction. Sometimes it doesn't come through, but for the most part, it does. If I know that there is, then I'm good with it. If not, I know I got to keep an eye on it. I am also able to pay bills and everything online, although I don't like that I can't take out as much cash as I would want to. I can only take out around 100 and I wish it was more. Also, not all online retailers take the card, which sucks sometimes. I do the direct deposit and the process has stayed the same, so it has been good. I've also done the online secure-question-entry thing.

In my first three encounters with the reps, they did not listen at all to what I was saying my issue was. It sounded very scripted. They had to get whatever it was that they were trying to say out, so it did not help. There has been a couple of times where there were transactions that I didn't know and I just let it go because I'd rather not call. There was a recent $40 one that was made in October, and I sent the dispute in online and it came back as a valid transaction. When I messaged them back, I asked if they could provide me the documentation that made it valid because I didn't receive any services from the company at all. When I called the company, they were giving me the runaround and they directed me to NetSpend. They sent me the documentation, but the documentation that they sent me was what I had sent them to dispute the transaction that I had.

It finally got resolved and about a week ago, they finally refunded the $40 transaction, but I had to go through all that for over two and a half months. My questions never got answered. I felt that they thought I pitched enough that they would just give me my money back, but I wanted to know what information they sent in because I didn't know the company. I wanted to understand where it was coming from, like who was buying or maybe somebody took my card. Everything else was fine, which is why it was weird to me that it was only $40. The whole case is completely closed now, so I can't even open it to try to figure out what document they really had. I've had NetSpend for 10 years and I've been pretty satisfied. I've recommended it to others, but after the dispute happened, I'm going to wait and see if something changes at some point before I even call anybody else.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

The first time I reloaded the card at Walmart on Coit and Arapaho in Richardson, Texas, it was quick and easy. The second attempt at Walmart also on Coit Rd. in Plano, Texas, I was told there is a $10 minimum (in addition to the $3.74 load fee). The third attempt the next day, back at the Walmart in Richardson, I was told there is a $20.00 minimum (in addition to the $3.74 load fee).

Hello Tracy,

Thank you for reaching out to us in regards to your reload concerns.

We understand your frustration with pricing for reload centers, however we do not have control over the pricing for reload locations. The pricing varies per the merchant. We recommend researching reload centers in your area and comparing pricing prior to arrival to avoid confusion.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I've had NetSpend for years and I started with a new job, so I got another card just for the job. I love the company. I use the card for bills, shopping, everything. I also use it for direct deposit and reload locations. I'm a dedicated customer and I feel like ever since I've had them, I never had a problem. Every time I've ever called with something, the response was great, so I wouldn't change. The representatives have always been very helpful and pleasant. I'm always recommending NetSpend.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I have been a loyal customer for 8 years. It saddens me to say how disappointed in the manner in which I have been treated. Not only have they ruined my Holidays, they issued a secondary card to an unauthorized hacker/person without any communication from me, which is totally bizarre and unheard of... Is that even legal. They did send me numerous emails which I have not open or responded to. In the past I would receive text alerts on my card activities. Why didn't they send me text alerts when they notice unusual activities or lock or flag my account. So like many of the others I was told to do a dispute in which only to be denied. So what the point of trying to dispute if they are going to deny us. What and where are our rights and where is the protection that is promised!!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I tried to activate a new card, but they said it already had someone else's name attached to the card, and that person would have to activate it. This is bogus. They just stole my $50. I think it's a glitch, but customer service won't talk to me because some other name is attached to this card, although it hasn't been activated.

Hello Russell,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you have had difficultly activating a new card. We will ensure one of our analyst reaches out to you to assist in accessing your funds. Thank you, Netspend

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Have been with Netspend since 2016. On Tuesday I found out that my accounts were locked due to the fact they stated the compliance department locked my accounts based on my transaction and that I needed to email them proof of my income for 3 months. WTH. I have direct deposit on everything that's goes into that account. I did not call to report any issues but they took it upon themselves to lock me out of my account without my consent, I have a home daycare that provides transportation. I need food and gas money and I have no access.

So I have spoke and emailed representative with my check stubs that the bank already has and still no resolution. I keep being told 24-48 hours it’s been 56 hrs and nothing they can’t even tell me if they have received my documents. They keep saying I’ll receive an email. Once it’s received and it’ll be another 24-48 hrs for them to look over my documents and make a decision. I’m highly pissed and very very upset. Once this is resolved - praying soon - I will be shutting them down as fast as I can!!! Poor service.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Re: Dispute Investigation Update 1. Claim Date: December 03, 2018. Claim Number: **. Claim Amount: $450.0. "Dear Valued Cardholder, We have received the documentation you sent us regarding your dispute claim. We will notify you if we need any additional information from you. Thank you for your patience." 12/26/2018 06:39 PM Re: Dispute Investigation Update 1. Claim Date: December 06, 2018 Claim Number: **. Claim Amount: $100.0. "Dear Valued Cardholder, We have received the documentation you sent us regarding your dispute claim. We will notify you if we need any additional information from you. Thank you for your patience."

This is a case of INTERNET THIEVES REACHING INTO SKYLIGHT WITHOUT MY PERMISSION AND STEALING 550.00 DOLLARS. They also attacked several other accounts of mine but the monies were replaced without one word from me. It all involved iTunes cards. It’s a common fraud I am sure you know of. I respectfully request all monies be placed backed within my Skylight One accounts within 3 business days.

01/10/2019 08:35 AM. Re: Dispute Resolved - No Account Credit. Account Number: **. Claim Date: December 03, 2018. Claim Number: **. Claim Amount: $450.00. "Dear Valued Cardholder, Thank you for contacting Netspend Customer Service! I am sorry to hear about your frustration regarding Dispute investigation and understand that you would like to file a complaint. Please be assured that I have sent your complaint to my manager. It will be reviewed and will be forwarded on if necessary. Someone from our corporate office will contact you directly within the next 2 business days. Please provide us your best phone number and email address for us to reach you. Dispute claim ** - No error found. Merchant provided information to validate the charge.

In addition about your dispute claim. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused you. Thank you for choosing Netspend. Have a great day!" 01/10/2019 08:26 AM. Re: Dispute Resolved - No Account Credit. I did not authorize the withdrawal of ITUNES 550.00 at Walmart... IT WAS STOLEN. I WILL NOT SET STILL AND ALLOW YOU TO NOT PROTECT MY MONEY AND THEN KEEP IT. I will seek legal representation. I will file a grievance with Federal Trade Commission consumer information.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Unfortunately I received a Netspend card as a Christmas gift this year (2018). The instructions are to visit their website and then hand over all your personal info, including social security number and birthdate, and then they’ll send you the ‘real’ card in a few days. I did not choose this card and did not feel comfortable handing over all my info for someone to steal my identity to use a PREPAID card that was a gift to me. So I called the number on the packaging specifically listed for returning the card and getting a refund (387-7363). Nothing but an automated system that you can only get through IF you’ve ALREADY provided your personal info and received the ‘real’ card, which has the card number you need to provide the system to get help.

So I emailed customer service through their website Jan. 8, 2019, and got an insincere and unconcerned response the next day telling me in broken English, ‘they’re sorry I’m confused, and to call a customer service agent.’ The end! They didn’t even provide a phone number to call so I COULD talk to a live person. To me, this was a blow-off. They’ve already got the money and I either hand over my identity or they keep all my money. Either way they win. A company that works like this is NOT one that can be trusted with your money or your personal information!!!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I just purchased this card today, January the 8th, 2019 at a local grocery store. First time trying a prepaid credit card, and now the last. I went to the website as instructed and found the activation portion on the website is not secure and I will not be giving my social security information on an unsecured website. Is this company out of Pakistan, India, Jamaica? I read the reviews and it seems this company has been around a few years. Not a comforting feeling as a business.

I may just write this lesson off as a mistake and not chance my social security information to be at risk for $20.00. Brilliant!

Hi Chuck,
Sorry to hear that you are having concerns, in regards to our card/services. Please contact us at social@netspend.com and someone will be more than happy to assist you.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I am beyond frustrated with Netspend. I have used them over 11 years. Lately there has been more and more inconsistency with the timing of deposits. I had a large ACH transfer cleared from the bank that sent on 1/4/19 and it still is not in my account. I have spoken with several people who are unable to give me a straight answer or explain where my deposit is. I know for a fact that it has already cleared through ACH so the fact that it is not in my account yet is very concerning. If Netspend really posts deposits as soon as they are received it would be in my account already. Their customer service is extremely unhelpful. After 11 years this is the final straw for me. I want my money.

Hello Brooke,
I understand how that can be frustrating. So what happens is your company send it to their bank and they send it our bank and finally they send it to us. We then post it as soon as we receive it. I hope that helps, if not contact us directly at social@netspend.com.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I’ve been using Netspend as a main bank account since August 2017. I love how you can add an authorized user on your account. So I have my husband and myself set up for direct deposits with his own separate card. I love how you can receive your pay up to two days early. We are supposed to get paid on Fridays and I have received our pay on Wednesday afternoon. I don’t like the irregular posting times. Sometimes we would get our deposits on Wednesday and others on Thursday. We also have received our tax refund on this card. That was awesome because we received that early as well.

Other issues we don’t like are that you have to wait over a week if you deposit a check or pay a fee. I also don’t like that they are getting rid of the overdraft protection. Which saved our butts more than a few times. I also don’t like that it costs $5 take take out large sums of money by ATM. I don’t like the cheaply made cards without a chip. I also don’t like that they will not accept any order on the Louis Vuitton website. Netspend will not honor payments from the Louis Vuitton website. With that being said we are going back to a traditional bank just because of convenience. I’ll miss the early paydays though!

Hi Cara,
I’m sorry to hear about your disappointment with us, and I would like you to contact us at social@netspend.com.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I thought great. I'll get my deposit sooner and I am disabled so I do most things online. Everything was fine until they decided I had committed fraud. They canceled my account with a balance of $158.73. They said nothing about returning my money. After calling and calling, I was finally told that they returned my money to Social Security and I would have to contact them. Well, Social Security said that was ridiculous and they had no way of finding where the money is. I called Netspend and they claim the federal government requires them to return money to them. Social Security said That was also ridiculous. That was in July 2018. Now it is January 2019 and after monthly calls to both Netspend and Social Security I have not received my money. I believe Netspend is probably doing this to others and that is stealing. Please find a local bank to put your money in.

Hello Marion,
It’s important to us that our customers are more than satisfied and we would like the opportunity to resolve this issue immediately. Please contact us at social@netspend.com.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I have been a Netspend card holder for the last several years. I personally loved their services until on December 24th. I found out that my account has been closed without any explanation because I had to submit a couple of claims regarding fraudulent activity on my account. The only answer I received once I pushed for an answer was that the RISK department has closed my account due to suspicious activity. What I don’t understand is that I could never speak with anyone in Management from the Risk department or just customer service. Instead I was told that I could no longer use their services and my account has been closed.

I have relied on their services and had all of my funds deposited into this account. Now I have no account access to review my account because the account is locked. I am very frustrated why I am being penalized to have my account locked and closed for fraudulent circumstances that were clearly out of my control with charges on my checking account. I am going to make sure that everyone is aware of how I was treated for something that I had no control over.

Netspend response

Hello Joseph, After review of your account, our records show that a member of our Customer Experience Team has reached out to you. If you have any additional questions or concerns feel free to contact us at social@netspend.com. Thank you, Netspend

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

My 16-year-old daughter just started her very first job Christmas week. She was so excited. Unfortunately, her employer does not offer direct deposit and the local banks by our area she has to be 17 to get a student checking account. So, we went onto Netspend to set up an account, then printed out the routing and account number for her direct deposit. Her new card arrived last week on the same day her payday is. She was so excited to activate it online, only to find out her direct deposit is pending and we had to call the number on the pop up on our screen. We found out that her deposit is pending as she is a minor. I was given an email address for documents@netspend.com that I had to send a copy of my drivers license, a copy of my daughter's social security card and mine. They would then process it and activate her card.

Hours later I get an email saying the request has been canceled and that a new card has been issued as me as the primary and my daughter as the secondary. It's been 2 weeks now and my daughter's getting paid again. I filed a complaint and someone by the name of Oscar called me and left a voicemail that they cannot guarantee my daughter's card was sent to our current address (my DL has our previous). I am beyond livid in the lack of professionalism Netspend has shown, and the carelessness of not confirming information. This company is a fraud. They took money from my daughter and sent out a card to another address without following the address that was on the initial application. I will be filing a police report and report this company to the BBB and MN Department of Commerce.

Netspend response

Hello Sonja, After review of your account, our records show that a member of our Customer Experience Team has reached out to you. If you have any additional questions or concerns feel free to contact us at social@netspend.com. Thank you, Netspend

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I have had Netspend for years and up until the end of October 2018 my direct deposit have been late and it's not my employer. I already went down that road. It's MetaBank. That is the problem. I don't understand why every 2 weeks it's a problem to release my money. My payday was Jan 5th and here we are on Jan 6th at 8:30 pm and still no money. I have rent that's already late and this is ridiculous. It's not like MetaBank or Netspend will reimburse me for my late fee. Seriously going to try and get a bank account because I can't deal with MetaBank anymore. WHERE IS MY MONEY!!

Netspend response

Hello, After review of your account, our records show that a member of our Customer Experience Team has reached out to you. If you have any additional questions or concerns feel free to contact us at social@netspend.com. Thank you, Netspend

Netspend expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Netspend is an American provider of reloadable prepaid cards and other financial services. They have been in business since 1999 and work with more than 10 million consumers to make purchases and pay bills, according to their website. Netspend offers FDIC-insured Visa and MasterCard prepaid cards. This is important because not all prepaid cards offer FDIC insurance. But note that prepaid cards do not help you build credit even though you’ll see a Visa or MasterCard logo on the card. Visa and MasterCard are only the payment processors for the prepaid cards.

• Prepaid cards: Netspend offers prepaid cards for Americans who either don't have a traditional bank account, such as checking or savings, or who can’t get a decent credit card due to a poor credit history. These consumers are often referred to as “the underbanked” because they lack access to traditional banking relationships. With a prepaid card, consumers load their own money onto the card. The card can then be used to make purchases. For those who don’t have a bank account, this is especially helpful for making purchases online or when you need to pay bills.

• Costs: There is no cost to open the account. There are three purchase plan options to choose from, including a pay-as-you-go plan.

• Corporate cards: Netspend has many prepaid card solutions for corporate clients that are useful for both employers and employees.

• Widely accepted: The company has over 70,000 distribution locations across the country and 130,000 reload points where consumers can purchase and reload their prepaid cards. These include retailers, convenience stores, grocery stores, check cashers, pharmacies and tax preparers.

• Customer Support: If you need help, you can contact Netsxpend via email, snail mail or phone. If you decide to call, customer support is available seven days a week.

• Best for: Those who can’t get a traditional bank account but need to make purchases and pay their bills. Also, these cards can be used by companies who want to use prepaid cards to fund a variety of situations, such as paying an employee’s bonus or managing employee expenses.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg