2.79/5
Based on 553 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Netspend is a leading provider of reloadable prepaid debit cards in the U.S. Our mission is to empower the millions of folks who don’t want or don’t have a traditional bank account. Netspend offers more than a piece of plastic with numbers on it. With a Netspend card, our cardholders get a bank-issued, FDIC-insured account that’s complete with fraud protection and global acceptance. Cardholders can even use unique virtual accounts for safe online shopping. Netspend gives cardholders the convenience of loading cash at more than 130,000 locations in the U.S., and the peace of mind that comes with getting paid faster with direct deposit. If you already have a Netspend card, “Thank you!”

4586 Netspend Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 16, 2018

Netspend is a joke! My employer direct deposited my paycheck and Netspend is denying getting any deposit for me. I have a confirmation number to prove my money was deposited into my account but yet Netspend is denying the fact they got anything. Stay away from Netspend people!!! Read reviews on this company. There are NUMEROUS accounts of people experiencing the same problem with them. If you want a prepaid card go to Walmart and get one from them. It’s a lot easier and no hassle of wondering if and when you will get your hard earned money!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 15, 2018

I've been a Netspend customer for about two years. I love Netspend at first but then I started receiving transaction that I did not make. I was told they were going to investigate it and received a new card. I never received a refund. That was the first experience. After receiving a new card, I didn't have any more problems, until the last two weeks. On July 5th I got a notification that my pay checked had deposited at 11pm that night. The next morning I went to make a withdrawal and my account declined it.

I checked the balance to find my whole check was withdrawn minutes after it deposited. I called customer service and they were not any help. All the could tell me was I could file a dispute and they would launch an investigation. Stating I might get my money back in 40 to 90 days pending investigation. I couldn't make my car note, pay my insurance or even have enough money to open up another account elsewhere.

On July 12 while waiting to hear back from Netspend, my paycheck for the week deposited at 11pm that night. This time I went straight to the ATM right away to withdraw my money to find my account a negative $9. In a matter of minutes my check deposited and was gone the next. Here I worked all week to have no money, no car payment or insurance money. Called Netspend the next morning to get told the same thing I was told before. They canceled my card and would send me a new one, launch an investigation and might receive my money in 40 to 90 days pending investigation. WHAT ABOUT MY BILLS. I am so stressed out, mad and frustrated. I am going to talk to a lawyer on Monday July 16th. This has happened too many times and it's costing me, and the customer service don't know how to help or don't care.

Original review: July 14, 2018

I didn’t have a regular checking account and I kept using Netspend as it was convenient. Having direct deposit if we need it for my bills on AutoPay is really good and makes things a lot easier. And I get my check earlier. I call the reps if I have an issue with my card being lost and they're pretty good to work with.

Original review: July 13, 2018

First, I have been unable to connect to their website all day. Upon doing a data check, the ping time is over 3 hours! Waiting for my Social Security direct deposit, which comes the 2nd Friday of the month, without fail. I always receive it by 2:30, usually sooner, but now it is going onto 5:30, and no money. Bank and Post Office are closed. And the stress I have had to endure today makes it not worth using this card/bank. I have been with Netspend since 2000, but this is all it takes to ruin a good relationship.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I usually get paid from NetSpend around 10 or 11 at night on Wednesday. Well this time it's my official check day and I still have not received funds and when I call they say they don't see a direct deposit pending. So when I called my employer he stated he sent it in and sent me where he sent the funds. I'm really fed up with NetSpend because this is not the first time this has happened but I am canceling my NetSpend card and switching to Amex.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Netspend?

Original review: July 13, 2018

I use my mobile to keep track of my finances with Netspend. I'm able to see my account online and I also get notifications every time my card has been charged. I also receive my direct deposit earlier than the actual pay date and it's easier for me to make some purchases by using my card. One time, I had lost my card and I didn't realize that I could go to an ACE Cash Express and have my funds transferred to another card temporarily. That was really helpful. I had good interactions with reps from Netspend. Using it to pay bills online and make purchases has been really quick.

Original review: July 12, 2018

NetSpend's direct deposit option is easy. I've experience two days faster direct deposit as well money transfer. I also love their online process on bill payment and purchases.

Original review: July 12, 2018

So for the last month and a half I’ve had a Netspend card I received my direct deposits on Wednesdays from my work and usually at 1:10 pm. It has been late a few times to where I didn’t receive it until late a night but I figured it was just because my work deposited it later than Normal or something. But now it’s Thursday and still no direct deposit. What the heck is going on?! I looked online and many other people had the same complaint in the past day or two as well.

Original review: July 11, 2018

They locked my card and online account for security purposes more than once! Which I can kinda understand but when you can’t get a hold of them to straighten out the matter is bull. You can’t get to your money even in cases of emergencies because they close. Nobody is there to help you till the next morning. No 24 hour service. Nothing. If it’s your money how can they do that. If you shut it down you should be there to assist with opening it back up!!!

Original review: July 11, 2018

I usually get my disability check a couple of days earlier than the day I’m supposed to get it with Netspend, and I don’t have to worry about cashing the check. Their team is friendly and efficient. It’s also very convenient to pay bills and make online purchases, and I can’t go over my debit and have money overdrawn. I’ve been with Netspend for years and I’m trying to get everybody else to sign up with them

Original review: July 10, 2018

I HAVE BEEN A NETSPEND CUSTOMER FOR ALMOST 7 YEARS WITH NO PROBLEMS. For the last 6 months I have been receiving fraudulent charges to my account most to which were resolved right away. On the 25th of June someone withdrew $900 out of my account without my knowledge so I disputed the claim, filed a police report and everything. On the day they were supposed to be giving me information on my claim they closed my account with no explanation.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I heard about NetSpend years ago. I chose them for convenience at the time and I wouldn’t change it for the world. I can do whatever I want with my NetSpend and everything's very simple. I get direct deposit and use it as needed. I've also got three reload locations right around the house that are really good to me. On top of that, they’ve always been good to me. If someone calls and needs help, they’re always there. So it’s been a really great experience. I’m already trying to get one for my son but he’s not 18 yet.

Original review: July 7, 2018

I purchased a NetSpend card for my sixteen year old to use for his Xbox. He did not read the instructions completely and tried to activate the card without me. When he found out that he could not activate the card due to his age we tried to reach out to NetSpend and received horrific service. Spoke to agents and supervisors who showed little to no experience with regard to this type of situation. I was promised a reimbursement check over a month ago for this card. I still haven't received this check.

Keep in mind that this company does not fix honest mistakes; they will continue to process the card making it essentially irreversible to fix. NetSpend does not reimburse the purchase fee for buying the card (they say that the fee is from a third party company) so they won't pay it back. In my opinion this whole issue could have been prevented at the date of birth entry but no continued to let the my underaged son complete the initial steps of activation and then held the card funds. What I see is a clear element of deception rather than the clear, accepted, and convenience process they advertise.

Original review: July 7, 2018

I've had NetSpend for about a few years now and it is good. It helps me pay my bills easier since I have it deducted a lot better, mostly if I don’t want to do all the cashing on my check. I also use the direct deposit. I speak with customer service and sometimes I can barely understand them because of their accent.

Original review: July 6, 2018

NetSpend is the only bank I have now. They have the cheapest fee at $4.95 a month and there's no overage charges, which is nice. I can run it down to an accidental negative balance and it's no big deal, which is helpful because a regular bank is going to charge and charge some more. But the only problem I have is depositing checks and Walmart charges a lot of money, $7, to reload. While there are tons of reload locations, there's a reload fee if I go anywhere. I use reload locations about twice a year because I get my IRS check back or I didn't do direct deposit and these locations want fees. NetSpend must make sure that their partners like Walmart aren't gouging the customers. Maybe they should negotiate the contract and say that they may not charge above X or Y.

I have also made my husband stop banking with Wells Fargo. We banked with them for about four years and then we found out that they had taken over $900 in fees that they shouldn't have taken after we forced them to audit our account. We got the $900 back and now he's with NetSpend too. And if I would've had to call the representatives, it goes well. They do their best to solve the problem whatever it may be. So, I love NetSpend.

Original review: July 4, 2018

I have had nothing but problems with this service also nothing but problems with customer service. I would highly recommend to anyone to look at different options. They say you get your payday sooner but every week you are wondering when you are actually gonna receive it. Also if your payday falls on a holiday they have no knowledge when you will be paid.

Original review: July 4, 2018

I got a loan and I saw the Netspend card and tried it. I’ve had it for at least eight years now and I was able to split my money up when I get my work check. I use the card for direct deposits and PayPal. I have a certain amount going to my Netspend card and a certain amount going to other places and I’ve never had an issue. All the times that I’ve called Netspend, they’re professional and they took care of the situation. My card expires 12/18 and I’m looking forward to getting another card from them.

Original review: July 3, 2018

With NetSpend, I get paid a few days early and I recommended it to people for a while because I’ve had it for years until last week. There was a transaction on my card in the middle of the night and I was at home asleep. I called NetSpend when they opened and I was told that a merchant made an error on my account. I had my paycheck deposited onto that card and I also had pending transactions that were about to be deducted. So that was a very huge issue for me and I was concerned. I went to Wells Fargo and opened up an account and I’m just gonna have my direct deposits switched over. Prior to that incident, however, I was very satisfied with NetSpend.

Netspend response

Dear Quanna,

We regret to hear about the transaction error on your account. We should be able to assist you with opening a dispute on this transaction in an effort to get the funds returned. Please email social@netspend.com and we will make sure this is addressed.

Original review: July 3, 2018

I recently was given a Netspend card with a 500.00 amount on it from a lender. When I tried to activate the card, I was told I couldn't because of past fraudulent activity!! The problem is I have never used a Netspend card before!! This is traumatic to me because I needed those fund for an urgent and critical matter! Needless to say I am very unhappy and frustrated!!

Original review: July 2, 2018

Netspend helped me a lot to pay easily. I could do things online which was convenient for me. I used direct deposits when I had a job. I had to call somebody to reactivate the account as I hadn’t put my money in the account over a period of months and I had to put some in. And Netspend’s customer service was nice and they answered all the questions I needed.

Original review: July 1, 2018

At the time I was working and making good money, I was carrying a lot of cash around on me. I decided to put it in a card instead of keeping it in my pocket. Netspend happened to be at the right place at the right time and I've been with them for 12 years now. Since then, managing my finances has been much easier and I enjoy getting my disability a couple of days early. I've used NetSpend for bills payment and online purchases, and I've had good experiences with it. They even contacted me once when there was a bad activity on my card. They blocked whatever was going on there and gave me a different card. NetSpend reps had good knowledge of what was going on and answered my questions. It has been an excellent experience and I've recommended NetSpend to several friends. It's a good card and it works so much better than some other cards out there. I've had some other ones but I wasn’t as impressed with them as I was with NetSpend.

Original review: June 30, 2018

I got rid of my bank account and decided to go with Netspend. I can go on their app and check where all my money goes. Every time I use my card, it lets me know. It’s a lot better than a bank account and a checking account because, as far as I know, checking accounts do not even do that. Their reps seem pretty helpful and they answer my questions. I use Netspend to pay bills and I just go to the locations where the bill is due. I also go grocery shopping with it. The direct deposit option is pretty easy. I just signed up for it and I usually get my VA check around the 25th and my social security around the 29th. Also, it depends if it falls on a weekend, then it’s a couple of days later. I have referred Netspend to quite a few people.

Original review: June 29, 2018

I've had NetSpend since 2007 and it's convenient. They are considered as a checking account too, so I am able to do my deposits directly. I know I go to MetaBank, but in my opinion, it’s not really a bank, which is how other people see it too. They don’t know that MetaBank is the actual bank. It is better than using Wells Fargo or US Bank, which I’ve had before. I use the overdraft feature too much. Plus, I like that there's only a $5 fee monthly. But I hate that I have to pay the extra ATM fee.

Netspend can also be used to purchase online. I’ve been happy with NetSpend in the past. But last month, I paid the rent on a Saturday. The payment should have been put on hold that same day but it wasn’t. I have had things put on hold within a couple of minutes all the time. The apartment showed that they received payment, but on Monday, they received the NSF notice even though NetSpend didn’t try and put it through until Tuesday. There was something fishy going on there.

I emailed the president of NetSpend and received an email back from Ashley from technical support. He wanted me to send him information as to what happened. He refunded the NSF fee but he still did not answer my question as to why that money was not put on hold. I tried to explain the situation to him in my email and over the phone. Then I sent him another call but he had never gotten back to me. But this is the most problem I’ve had in my 11 years being with NetSpend and I’m still a little dumbfounded as to what happened.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I’ve had Netspend now for five years. I had a business when I first got it and at that time, it was easier to for me take the payments online. Since using my NetSpend card, I’m able to see everything that I need to whenever I need to see it. However, my biggest issue is their customer service and the staff that they have. Every time I talk to them, it seems like they’re not trying to take care of the issue and they don’t know what they are doing. I know that their people use different names and when I speak to a supervisor I can’t get back in touch with that same supervisor. Also, if I tell somebody that this is what the supervisor told you, they tell me that's wrong and they cannot locate the person that I talked to even though there should be records of every person that accessed my account. I don’t understand why they can’t find the person or find out what we were told by their people.

Still, I use my NetSpend card for everything and I prefer to keep the card because I deposit my paycheck there and do instant transfers. Everything is right there. I just use the direct deposit but I’ve used one of the reload locations twice. I know one location that is near me and that’s the only location I’ve ever gone twice. I would like to see though if they could do another breast cancer card and that would be something nice to be done. Despite the issues, I recommend NetSpend every single time.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I've been with them for 3+ years. Faithfully, my paycheck is deposited at 12 pm and my funds are available to me no later than 1:15 pm. Today, it's 3:50 pm, and I still don't have my money. They said MetaBank hasn't sent them the money. MetaBank says my payroll department hasn't sent the money. My payroll department says they sent it as usual like every other time over the past three years. Who's lying? Where's my money?

Original review: June 27, 2018

Tried out this company/card since I know a few people that has them. Worse decision made ever. I have all these random ATM withdrawals coming out of my account not to mention {while I’m at work}. I did dispute. Had to write a letter in regards of getting a provisional credit to only be told I had to wait 30 to 45 days because I was New customer. Seems to me you would satisfy any customer new or old in a timely manner to keep the business and for others to spread the God's word about your company but that’s neither here or there.

Well when my 30 days approach I received a secure message saying the dispute was denied. There was no unauthorized activity on account so I called police and I have sent this information in to them. They called 3 times. The first 2 times I missed because I was at work. The last time I ran out office to catch the call for the representative to only tell me the same thing the secured message said. I have been calling for 3 months now to speak to a manager on how these dispute decisions are investigated because there is no way for me to be in Houston south side of town at work and taking money out of an ATM in another part of Houston. I’m to the point I’m calling the banks associated with Netspend, Visa and the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: June 27, 2018

With NetSpend, if I overdraft by any chance, it’s only the money that I overdraft plus $15, which is so much easier than 33 and 36 that they are charging in banks. Being able to overdraft has helped a lot, but I’m trying to cut down on that a lot because I live in Virginia and it is very expensive here. Also, recently, somebody tried to charge $930 on my card, but customer service took care of it right away. They canceled the old card, sent out a new card with no issues. I’ve never had a problem with the direct deposit too. They’ve always attended to me in the most respectful way. They upgraded me from regular to premiere within the first two years as well, which is another benefit. Then, I got a $10 cushion. It’s just a really good company. I have been using it since 2009.

Original review: June 26, 2018

So once again I get an email saying I'm getting a direct deposit for benefits. I receive normally on the 1st of the month and it's not in my account. I go through this every other month. Now I'm in the hole thinking it's going to be there as promised and it isn't. Very displeased with their misleading info every month.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I have dealt with WU Netspend for years and 2018 has been the WORST! I have been getting disability deposit as every other Government SSA And SSI check and they started making my deposit later and later. I will be switching to CARD.com due to they are posting exactly 2 days early. Netspend has disappointed a customer in 2018, time to change and overdraft money you get from them is 15 or more is a setup to stay in debt. 15*6 months. You do math! Horrible Card.

Netspend response
Hello Melanie,
I am sorry to hear that you are not receiving your direct deposit as early as you would like. Netspend posts deposits as soon as they are received. I would be happy to answer any questions regarding your Overdraft Protection. Please email social@netspend.com so we can locate your account.

Amelia

Original review: June 26, 2018

I had a company that required automatic deposit and they were handing out paycards of their own, but I didn’t like how their paycard was set up, so I did my research and found NetSpend. I liked their lower monthly fee and some of their flexibility with the account options. I use the card for everything and I am almost positive I am above and beyond what an average user is. I also have tried their reload locations twice but the fees didn't make it worth it. I have the card for almost seven years now and I've not had to call in to customer service very often. However, it’d be nice to see some kickback or reward for my loyalty.

Netspend expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Netspend is an American provider of reloadable prepaid cards and other financial services. They have been in business since 1999 and work with more than 10 million consumers to make purchases and pay bills, according to their website. Netspend offers FDIC-insured Visa and MasterCard prepaid cards. This is important because not all prepaid cards offer FDIC insurance. But note that prepaid cards do not help you build credit even though you’ll see a Visa or MasterCard logo on the card. Visa and MasterCard are only the payment processors for the prepaid cards.

• Prepaid cards: Netspend offers prepaid cards for Americans who either don't have a traditional bank account, such as checking or savings, or who can’t get a decent credit card due to a poor credit history. These consumers are often referred to as “the underbanked” because they lack access to traditional banking relationships. With a prepaid card, consumers load their own money onto the card. The card can then be used to make purchases. For those who don’t have a bank account, this is especially helpful for making purchases online or when you need to pay bills.

• Costs: There is no cost to open the account. There are three purchase plan options to choose from, including a pay-as-you-go plan.

• Corporate cards: Netspend has many prepaid card solutions for corporate clients that are useful for both employers and employees.

• Widely accepted: The company has over 70,000 distribution locations across the country and 130,000 reload points where consumers can purchase and reload their prepaid cards. These include retailers, convenience stores, grocery stores, check cashers, pharmacies and tax preparers.

• Customer Support: If you need help, you can contact Netsxpend via email, snail mail or phone. If you decide to call, customer support is available seven days a week.

• Best for: Those who can’t get a traditional bank account but need to make purchases and pay their bills. Also, these cards can be used by companies who want to use prepaid cards to fund a variety of situations, such as paying an employee’s bonus or managing employee expenses.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg