2. Finance
Accredited Partner

Call Now Toll Free
Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.65/5

Netspend offers prepaid debit cards from Visa or Mastercard with no activation fees and no minimum balance requirements. You can qualify for its services without a credit check. The company has multiple loading options, including by direct deposit, through your phone or at a reload station.

BOTTOM LINE

Netspend prepaid cards are easy to sign up for, and the company has no credit check and no activation fee for online orders. You pay fees monthly or per transaction, but the card doesn’t require a traditional bank account.

PROS

• No activation fee
  • No minimum balance requirement
  • No credit check

CONS

• Daily spending and withdrawal limits
  • Fees associated with transactions

Top Netspend Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Netspend?

I've had Netspend for a while now and I love them. The app is amazing and I can get my paycheck up to two days earlier. Anytime I have any kind of questions, I can always reach them and they always help. I also loaded money onto my debit card yesterday at Walmart and it was very easy.

I'm happy to be with Netspend. I've been with them for years and I love it. In fact, I'm trying to get my mom and my sister to join it too. It's easy to use the reload locations and when I call for customer service, asking a question, they really help me even though I have an accent.

Netspend Call Now Toll Free (855) 276-3765 Learn More
Call Now Toll Free

What is Netspend?

Netspend offers prepaid cards from Visa and Mastercard. These cards provide the convenience of a debit card without requiring a bank account. The company does not conduct credit checks, and the cards are a useful way to receive paychecks through direct deposit if you do not have a bank account. Direct deposit funds could be available on your card up to two days faster than a paper check.

When you sign up for the Netspend’s mobile app, you can check your account balance, send and receive money on the go, find the nearest reload location and check recent transactions. Netspend also features a rewards program and an interest-earning savings account.

Netspend’s services also let you transfer money from friends’ or family members’ accounts.

How does Netspend work?

Once you’ve signed up for a Netspend prepaid card, you receive your card within seven to 10 business days. There is no credit check, but you must verify your identity — the company limits usage on cards without verified identities.

Netspend sends transaction alerts to your phone so you know when you receive deposits, when transactions go through or get declined and when your balance is getting low. Netspend cards come with zero-liability fraud protection in case someone uses your card fraudulently. You can also enroll in a protection plan that covers overdrafts up to $10.

As long as you have funds in the account, you can use the card at any location that accepts Visa and Mastercard.

How much does Netspend cost?

Netspend does not charge an activation fee. When you load the card and begin using it, the company charges fees to your account. You can choose a monthly reduced rate plan or pay-as-you-go fee structure that charges per transaction.

Netspend charges a monthly rate of $9.95 or $1.50 per transaction. You can save on monthly fees by enrolling in direct deposit. Other fees for Netspend’s services include:

• ATM withdrawals: $2.50
  • ATM balance inquiries: 50 cents
  • Cash reloads: $3.95
  • Over-the-counter cash withdrawal fee: 2.75% of the total or $4.00, whichever is greater
  • Account-to-account transfers: $4.95 when done by an agent

There are no fees for direct deposit or paper check services if you use Netspend’s mobile app, and bill payment fees vary. If you do not use your card for 90 days, you will be charged a $5.95 inactivity fee.

Netspend FAQ

How long does it take to receive my Netspend card in the mail?
It takes seven to 10 business days to receive your Netspend card in the mail.
How do I get a Netspend card?
You can apply for a Netspend card online. You need to verify your identity, but there is no credit check required. The company asks you to provide your name, street address, date of birth and some additional personal information.
When will my direct deposit be available with Netspend?
When you enroll in direct deposit with your Netspend card, funds could be available up to two days earlier than a paper check.
How do I find my routing number and account number for Netspend?
Your routing and account numbers are available on your online Netspend account, by texting Anytime Alerts or by calling customer service.
What is the daily withdrawal limit for NetSpend?
The daily ATM withdrawal amount from Netspend is $940. You can withdraw up to $325 per transaction with a limit of six withdrawals in 24 hours.

Is Netspend legit?

Netspend prepaid cards are processed by Visa and Mastercard. While Netspend charges fees, its prepaid cards are available with no credit check. You do not need a bank account, but your card is eligible for direct deposits that can get you paid up to two days faster than a paper check. Netspend also offers extra features, such as a mobile app that lets you deposit paper checks by using your smartphone. If you don’t have time to get to the bank to cash or deposit checks, this convenience can help you pay bills on time.

Netspend Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Netspend?

Original review: Oct. 5, 2020

I was looking online on my account and I saw two of $1 charges and $18.95 or something like that charges. I called Netspend and it turned out that it totaled up to $60 or $70 that came out of my account. They started the investigation, cancelled my card, sent me a new card out, and I had to pay to get a new card. The rep added that there was no other choice. She had to cancel it. That kind of upset me for the fact that I needed my card. My direct deposit was about to hit my account within the hour so it stressed me out because of the pay period. I just needed her to wait 10 minutes so I could go and pull out my money ‘cause I got a cash payday advance on my check at work. It was stressful.

Then they were telling me they’re sending me a letter saying that they're closing the investigation ‘cause I didn't send my written report stating that I wanted them to continue on with that. I thought all I had to do was on the phone since I didn't have no other choice. I'm kind of upset about that because they only refunded 20 bucks of my money and because I didn't do it within that certain allotted time, I lost out on $40. Granted, I did not know it was there, but since it was discovered and they put me all through all the hoopla, I should have had to send in a written statement on top of it, so I'm a little bit irritated with that.

But Netspend is the easiest among others. It's like one straight shot. Messing with Green Dot, messing with a Vanilla card, there are fees for this and that. People don't even have an option of doing a monthly fee or per transaction on some of them. I like the fact that if I have the money in my account and Netspend charges me for the monthly fee. If I don't have it, they don't charge me until the next time that I have money on my account. I like that feature. I also like the fact that I could do direct deposit. The customer service helps as much as they can other than my last experience that I was complaining about. But she still did what she was supposed to do and she was still awesome. She was willing to stay on the phone with me to go to the ATM to let me get my money out right then and there. And I got it. She's working and she couldn’t stay on the phone for the hour or 43 minutes.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 13, 2020

My new Cleveland Indians NetSpend card is great. I like everything that the debit card offers and the different degrees of transferring money. But I was trying to figure out how I could transfer money from my PayPal because that's where my unemployment is going right now. I wanted to transfer it to my NetSpend card. I downloaded the app which I was surprisingly familiar with because PayPal is set up almost identically. So it's very easy to navigate. But also, I was sitting there looking and those two damn things are the same apps. It got overwhelming for me. Their websites are so much alike too. It's crazy. Netspend should change their colors or do something. It's bad enough that when you are texting someone and someone else texts in, when you go back and text, you send it to the person that just sent you a text. You don’t wanna be messing up and sending your money to the wrong person.

I also had to do some recovery work for someone who had put money on their Green Dot card and couldn't get their money back. I did a lot of looking on all those and that’s why I chose Netspend. I've also noticed that the security that NetSpend had is fantastic. One of my kids is an engineer who works in the oil field and another one is a soldier. They send money back and forth, and I wonder how they’re not constantly being ripped off. I don’t have any money per se but if and when I do, I don't want someone to just be able to access it.

Original review: March 4, 2020

My Netspend card is driving me crazy. I just got it a couple of weeks ago and I've used it for direct deposit. I've loaded money on it also. The fees are ridiculous. It's charging me $10 for one transaction. When I go to 711 to put money in, it charges me $4. When I take the money out, it charges me $3 or $4 too. NetSpend is accessible though and it's not like a Bankard. It's something quick and easy.

Netspend response

Hello,

Our records show that an agent from our Corporate Office reached out to you. For additional questions or concerns, please email social@netspend.com.

Netspend

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

I've been with Netspend when it first came out. It's very easy to use and you can load your money locally. So far, I've depended on that part of it. I just recently had a problem with it though and that was the only issue I've ever had with it. The person who took the statement took it wrong and said that I had agreed to the transaction and I had not. I had agreed to make the transaction. However, I did not know that the information that was coming out from the other end was false information. So, they did honor, went ahead and put the money on my card, but then they turned around when they investigated. For some reason, they thought I was okay with the transaction that they took it back off. So now, it's at negative $70. They said they're leaving it as it is and I don't see why.

I had ordered a drum set at Christmas time for my granddaughter. And the people that gave me the information through Amazon, gave me an email address and the number for the transaction, and all of it was fraud. I couldn't reach the person. They couldn't apparently reach the person, but I got something saying that they had reached the person and they were gonna either honor by sending the money back or honor it by sending the drum set back to me, and they did neither. And so, Netspend took the money. They put a thing to get the money back and I don't have it right now to put back. But I'm still very confident with Netspend other than this last issue. It also prompted me to get another card through Varo and I do have that to use. I've used it once already, but I don't feel as confident because I've been with Netspend for such a long time. So, I just go with Netspend.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

I’ve been with NetSpend for a few years and I'm very satisfied with them. I can get to them whenever I want to and I don’t have any issue using my card when I’m out of the country. The first time that I used it out of the country, they locked it for fraud protection. So I called and told them that the charge was mine. The rep asked me where the charge was and what the amount was. I told her that I was out of the country and they noted it up there. I've also used it when I was in Italy and in France. Also, I constantly get a text that I can see pretty much where I'm at and if the amount is exactly what I've spent for and because of the carrier that I have for my phone, I can get my text no matter where I’m at in the world.

A year ago, I had an issue when somebody ordered $140 worth of pizza off my card in Solvang, California and I was in Missouri. I called the store and they said that there was nothing that they could do about it. So I called NetSpend about it and they refunded my money back. The process was they would give a contingent refund back and they would do an investigation. That took about 14 to 21 days. If they found out that it wasn’t what you said, then they would take that money back. Also, I have my kids and my mom on NetSpend so whenever I wanna send them money, I can just FlashPay them money immediately and I don’t have to worry about ATM fees.

Netspend response

Hello Arlene,

Thank you for the feedback! It's great to hear that you are using all of the features of your account like Anytime Alerts.

Have a great day,

Netspend

Original review: Oct. 15, 2020

I do not want an all access account. I want a prepaid. I keep getting bombarded with messages to upgrade account. I do not want to. If my account gets upgraded without my permission I'll close my account and go elsewhere. The constant ads to upgrade are getting very annoying.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2020

I have used Netspend for a number of years, and it has been a great experience. I was looking for a bank and they provided a way to deposit and access my funds conveniently. You can go to any cashier to add money to the acct as well as have funds wired into the acct, and the funds are available right away.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2020

I am really happy to have NetSpend. I can use it as a credit card or a debit card and I don't have to worry about a bank account and also I don't have to worry about a recipe. I can have everything sent to my phone.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 3 stars
    Original review: Oct. 9, 2020

Netspend Card review. The only thing I enjoy is getting the direct deposit early. I'm very displeased with the fact I pay 5$ for the plan but I've already paid over 55$ in overdraft fees and charges.. When I address the overdraft fee I'm dismissed.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

Outstanding service with Netspend. No other card or company can compete. Thank you for everything you do for me. I've used other cards but the difference is in the services. Who has ever thought of overdraft protection on a prepaid card. 5 STARS!!!

Netspend Company Information