2.74/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Netspend is a leading provider of reloadable prepaid debit cards in the U.S. Our mission is to empower the millions of folks who don’t want or don’t have a traditional bank account. Netspend offers more than a piece of plastic with numbers on it. With a Netspend card, our cardholders get a bank-issued, FDIC-insured account that’s complete with fraud protection and global acceptance. Cardholders can even use unique virtual accounts for safe online shopping. Netspend gives cardholders the convenience of loading cash at more than 130,000 locations in the U.S., and the peace of mind that comes with getting paid faster with direct deposit. If you already have a Netspend card, “Thank you!”

4823 Netspend Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I have been a multi year customer and this is now the second time I've had issues with my money but, this time, it's devastating! I planned accordingly and I didn't get paid and I haven't received any communication from NetSpend as to why! Now, I'll miss a day of work because my money hasn't been sent to me in time and I am EXTREMELY upset!!!

Dear Vincent,
We regret to hear about the issues you experienced with your account. Please feel free to contact us at social@netspend.com so we can rectify this situation.

Netspend

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Debit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I had a deposit for unemployment posted late last month. Later than it usually is. Today here I am waiting to see where my deposit it. Unemployment verified it was sent yesterday morning and here I am, 36 hours later, with no deposit when it’s way past when it usually comes. I called and they said they see no deposit and it’s not on their end. Then how come I received an email last month apologizing that their banks processing partner had a technical error? And now here we are again with a late payment.

My phone bill is supposed to automatically debit off there today and, no funds. No one I call is helpful. This defeats the purpose of this card. I will most likely be changing my deposit to my bank account. Hopefully my direct deposit shows up but at this rate I’m not holding my breath. How do I actually get someone on the phone who speaks English and can tell me more than “we don’t see a deposit.” No really? That’s because something is wrong on your end and now I have late fees on my phone bill. Thanks a lot. And I PAY to use this crap service?

Hi John,
We apologize for the inconvenience. It looks like your direct deposit posted to your account the same day. If you have any questions please contact us directly at social@netspend.com.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I was enticed online by NetSpend to open a prepaid credit card to be eligible to receive an Amazon gift card. After going through the whole NetSpend process & having NetSpend prepaid card on its way to me, no more mention was made of any Amazon gift card. I contacted Customer Service through NetSpend online inquiring about the Amazon gift card. The response was they aren't running any such promotion & I was asked for a screenshot of the Amazon gift card offer. Of course, I don't have that screenshot. I was asked to contact Amazon for a gift card. I promptly cancelled my account & card with NetSpend. This all happened today. I am hoping the cancellation of the NetSpend card will be recognized by NetSpend.

Hello Shelly,
Sounds like you were the victim of a scam. Netspend does not have any promotions with Amazon. On the bright side I can confirm that the account has been closed and we do not have any of your personal information.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

At&t reimbursed $67.00 to my Netspend card. That was on November 6, 2018. Now they are saying they cannot give me my funds that are my hard earned money. Someone please tell me why does this company think that they can just take money from poor individual.

Netspend response

Hello Rylan, After review of your account, our records show that a member of our Customer Experience Team has reached out to you. If you have any additional questions or concerns feel free to contact us at social@netspend.com. Thank you, Netspend

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I wish someone at Netspend would be honest!!! My family have been customers for over ten years. Never have I been through the issues that I am experiencing the couple of months. We no longer receive our payroll one to two days earlier, My son and I both noticed our paychecks did not appear even on the actual post date. Mine is always 15th and last day of the month. My son is every week on Tuesday. Our payrolls are a day or two late. Checked the Netspend forum and lots of people complained last month about their payroll not showing up on their Netspend card. Last I enrolled in overdraft protection. It helps me those last few days before payday when my money is tight. I went to use my overdraft protection. I am not in the negative but wanted to draw more than what is in my account. I kept getting insufficient funds.

I checked my Netspend account and it said overdraft protection is active. Checked my notifications, email even read the terms and conditions. Couldn't understand why I could not use my overdraft. I called and was told my overdraft account was suspended October 23rd cause I use it 12 times in a calendar year. I asked the first rep where does it state that in your terms and conditions. It says 3 times in a calendar month. No one could give me specifics only that they have the right to suspend the account for thirty days. As I stated when I entered this contract with Netspend, I have the right to full disclosure, not vague terms. I always have a positive balance at the end of every statement and my money comes on time when Netspend is not have issues! Also where is my notification that my overdraft is suspended.

I asked three people plus a supervisor the same question. The supervisor lied and said it was mailed to me and it takes seven to ten days. I said "Ma'am, you say you suspended my account on October 23rd, it has been more than seven to ten days." No notification on the online website, no email sent, no text message from Netspend. Netspend has my email, phone number and I have mobile alerts! I am so disappointed in this company! First time that I have experienced lies and given the round around. Next pay period when my check finally deposits I am going back to my bank account and closing this account!!! If I could give no stars I would!

HelloDionne,

Thank you for reaching out to us in regards to your Optional Overdraft Protection. After review of your account, our records show that a member of our Customer Experience Team has reached out to you. If you have any additional questions or concerns feel free to contact us at social@netspend.com. Thank you, Netspend

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Netspend?

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

My employer shows that my paycheck has been deposited onto my account. I was trying to put gas in my car and it’s saying I have no balance on my Netspend card. Where is my money? I have bills I need to pay immediately. It’s my first time using this card and I’m very disappointed.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I never had a problem with Netspend until now... My direct deposit is not here always comes @ 940... I'm in need of my money like now. This is not cool... I bust my ** for my kids and family and to tell them no I don't have a penny and it's not my fault is total B.S. Please I need my money.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I’ve not had any issues with my direct deposit at all up to now. I am confused where my money is because I’ve never had any issues whatsoever. I’ve not made any changes to my account and I know to the minute what time my money is supposed to deposit to my account. Bills are being held up at this point and I am very angry. I really need this resolved immediately.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Will be changing companies. I thought it was me, but after reading the reviews and purposely checking with my payroll company and being told that all payroll was completed and sent off to the employee's banks my DD is nowhere to be found. Never had this problem when using a different company that allows you to get paid 2 days early as well.

NetSpend and MetaBank is obviously having some issues so this is the first and the last check I will do be depositing with them. Please note NetSpend will tell you that they will deposit your funds as soon as they show up. Well my funds were sent from my payroll company's bank to pay the bank through the correct routing numbers and account numbers but according to NetSpend it is not there yet. It isn't computer lost world. I don't have the time to be guessing when my direct deposit will be showing up. If it's the same day I'd rather use a different card than sit around biting my fingernails wondering is it coming today or not.

Netspend response

Hello Ralph, After review of your account, our records show that a member of our Customer Experience Team has reached out to you. If you have any additional questions or concerns feel free to contact us at social@netspend.com. Thank you, Netspend

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I’m very upset with NetSpend. Today my paycheck was supposed to be deposited into my bank yet I keep checking and nothing. WHERE IS MY MONEY??? They are going to lose a lot of customers if this isn’t corrected. You're playing with people's hard earned money and yet they can’t even notify their own customers that they are having issues.

Netspend response

Hello Shantal, After review of your account, our records show that a member of our Customer Experience Team has reached out to you. If you have any additional questions or concerns feel free to contact us at social@netspend.com. Thank you, Netspend

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I was sitting down eating dinner, then I got 4 text messages someone emptied out my NetSpend acct 2000 miles away. I never leave Texas yet NetSpend let all of them go through without thinking "hey this might be fraud!” They did it without my card or PIN number. I called NetSpend and they say I have to dispute it, will I get my money! They didn’t reassure me! I have bills and my acct is empty! I never even use the ATM. How did this even go through! Had my acct for a year, so that activity should have been suspicious! NetSpend I need my money now!!!

Netspend response

Hello Leon, After review of your account, our records show that a member of our Customer Experience Team has reached out to you. If you have any additional questions or concerns feel free to contact us at social@netspend.com. Thank you, Netspend

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

For years I have had a Netspend card and no issues until today. For the first time my paycheck was not deposited. I had to go all the way to my job and go to payroll. There they printed my check stub where they surely did send my check to the account, but Netspend says there is no deposit. Where’s my money???

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I don’t understand why do they always switch up the times and days you get paid. The main response they give is, "We're only the receiving end." I work in payroll at my job. I know the money is posted the same time, every time. With Netspend one day you may get paid at 5 and the next time it may be midnight. So do they do some kind of batch posting. Or last four of your social posting because this is confusing me.

Netspend response

Hello Travaris, After review of your account, our records show that a member of our Customer Experience Team has reached out to you. If you have any additional questions or concerns feel free to contact us at social@netspend.com. Thank you, Netspend

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

So it’s Wednesday. Was supposed to have my money yesterday. Still nothing. I understand issues and such but we as customers and workers need a text or call. We have families to feed, Bills, Personal stuff. I don’t wanna personally wait until Thursday or Friday because if that be the case I'll go back to cashing my checks.

Hello,
We regret to hear about the issues you experienced with your direct deposit. If there is anything we can do to assist you, please feel free to contact us at social@netspend.com.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

A great many people cannot access Netspend and are not receiving direct deposits of their wages they worked hard for. Bills are late to be paid due to Netspend neglect. Netspend will not pay our late fees they caused nor fix the bad marks on our credit!!! I will no longer recommend them. Google "why is Netspend not working?" There you will find many unhappy customers.

Hello Charity,
I appreciate having the opportunity to speak with you today about your concerns and resolving your issue. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us directly.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I have been with Netspend for many years. This year is the first year that I had to get new cards. Every new card has been hit with fraudulent charges. The most recent one was a fraudulent ATM usage with my card at an ATM several hundred miles away. It was for 600 plus dollars. I immediately notified Netspend. It has now been over a week and nothing has been resolved. The card is in my hand.

I believe Netspend is making duplicate cards. It has been 7 days since I contacted them. The money hasn’t been returned. When I explained that this has put me in a bad financial bind, their supervisor kept referring me to getting a loan. Sounds to me like Netspend is being fraudulent to get people to be forced to take out loans. After this is done, I will never use ACE Check Cashing or Netspend and I have been very vocal to anyone I know to stay far far away. I will be filing a police report for fraud against Netspend, I will be contacting the BBB and an attorney.

Hello Jessica,
We are very sorry to hear this. Please email social@netspend.com and we will make sure this is addressed.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I have been using my Netspend card for about 7 years off and on. I recently had my Netspend card stolen and a number of transactions had been made while my card was in the possession of the thieves. When I reported it to Netspend they treated it as a typical dispute and not as an identity theft case. I even provided them with the updated police report that the thieves were arrested and the case # to my report.

Netspend still has not reversed the charges and given me my money back. They said I have to wait for them to investigate and contact the merchants which could take up to 45 days. If there was truly Fraud Protection, I the violated consumer should be given access to my money while Netspend deals with the identity theft issue. The weight of the inconvenience should be on them not the consumer. That's if there really was any Fraud Protection. I'll be looking for a new bank to work with after this is settled. I am not happy with the way Netspend is handling my case. Protecting themselves not the customer.

Hello Hareen,
We understand that the dispute process can take some time. We can assure you that we will do everything we can to assist you with getting these funds returned. We apologize again for any inconvenience this has caused.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

WARNING!!! DO NOT USE THIS CARD. I purchased this card in order to pay my bills and keep it separate from other debts I have. I put $100.00 dollars on it to pay a bill that needed to be paid immediately. The money did not show on my card right away like Netspend promised so I was not able to pay my bill immediately. It took 3 days for the money to finally post. They caused me to be late on my bills that I try to pay on time. This company is a RIP-OFF. Do not use them.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I have been with NetSpend for many years and this is the first time I have had 2 direct deposits late. What is going on? We received no notifications stating that there was an issue. Now I have to wait to contact customer service.

Hello Benita,
I was glad to speak to you regarding your direct deposit today. We are happy to see that it already posted to your account. If you have any issues or concerns moving forward feel free to contact us directly.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I have good experiences with NetSpend. I heard about it when I was purchasing a car in 2011. I got direct deposits for my disability and I like their service of getting my paycheck early. Also, I get the alerts when I buy something -- I know how much I spent, what I have spent with that, and how much I got left. I use the reload location less than a quarter mile from me. I do my payments and purchases all online and I am able to pay any time. Or, I call one of the people that I’m doing business with and I give them the account number of the card, and bills are paid. It saves me from having to drive to some places to pay the bill. The customer service is very helpful as well. They’ll tell me what they can do regarding my account, and they’ll send me some things. I didn’t have to go online to find out about pending purchases. As an alternative to a brick and mortar bank, NetSpend has been great. I’d recommend them.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

Anytime I need help or anything, it is attended to right away. Customer service is great. I also like getting paid a week early -- it says two days, but it is actually a week. If you happen to go over on anything, they'll cover it, too. The charge for it if you don’t put the money back in within 24 hours is 15 bucks, which is a lot. But it is understandable because the overdraft is just there for an emergency. Having NetSpend is easier than having cash, and it works. I can pay for things online. I do direct deposit with them, too. There was one time that my wallet was stolen, and it was right before I was to get a large direct deposit. I called them, and they immediately stopped my card and sent me out a new one within a day or two. I’ve tried to get several people by now, family members and friends, to open a NetSpend card. My mom already did.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Customer service is terrible. Switched from Netspend to all access. Got charged an overdraft fee because accounts did not transfer as I was informed, so payroll could not be deposited, therefore a fee was given. I tried calling three times, but given lectures and saying account numbers were same which they are not. I did update with my payroll, but too late. Will probably cancel cards with Netspend and contact BBB.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I have been with Netspend for over 4 years. Had no issues until recently. My direct deposit went through received a text stating to call before I use the card. So I called they asked if I approved of a transaction that was a foreign transaction. I said no and then they canceled my card instead of letting me get my money before they canceled the card. So now I don’t have access to my money. I have bills to pay. I asked to speak with a supervisor before she would put a rush for the 1-2 business days. I had to argue with her about it. THEN to make matters worse they still let that transaction go through. It posted on my account so I have no money because I’m waiting for the new one and even though I said I didn’t approve the transaction it went through. When I get my new card I’m pulling all my money out and never doing business with NetSpend ever again!!!

Hello Shellise.

We are sorry to hear that you are having issues with your account. We attempted to reach out to you on Monday, but was unsuccessful. Please contact us at social@netspend.com so that we can better assist you.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I get paid early with NetSpend which is what I like the most about them and that keeps me with them. I've had them for 7 years now and I get paid way sooner than any other veterans I know. The card works for me. I also like the anytime text alert and the customer service. They’re prompt, professional, and can always answer my questions without exception. They always get the job done quickly and courteously. Even more, using the card to pay bills or make online purchases has been very convenient. I’ve used the reload locations before and they’re always convenient as well. I can always find one if I need one. I’m very satisfied with NetSpend. They do a great service and you won’t be disappointed.

Dear Arthur,
Thanks again for the feedback!
We strive to create features and tools that will benefit our valued customers.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

My payroll at my previous job used NetSpend and I had the advantage of getting my paycheck a couple of days faster. I wanted to test it out since with the way the bills roll, it's convenient for the check to come a little earlier. I use the direct deposit. It's also easy to use the card to pay bills or make purchases online. But sometimes, merchants don't take the card because they don't take prepaid cards. So, that becomes a disadvantage.

I've had several interactions with NetSpend representatives. The only thing that I don't like is that if you speak to a supervisor about an issue, a lot of times they're still not able to assist you. You have to wait. For instance, there was a glitch in the NetSpend system where it took a large amount of money off my account. They basically told me I had to do an investigation and I would have to wait 10 days or so to get my money back when I had the documentation showing that I had the money in my account and it was taken out by accident. There was no other option versus me waiting. Also, I've encountered technical glitches a couple of times when I'm trying to get money from an ATM.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I was a Netspend cust for over 12 years. They offered a account upgrade for the all access card for which I accepted. I was not able to activate message. Advised calling NetSpend. I was told I had a transaction dispute and that needed to be settled before activation. The dispute was for a double billing for a monthly sub fee. The app had double billed 3 times previous months and was a issue throughout its subscribers. Netspend closed my account stating fraudulent activities. Refunded the fee and never told me they closed it. My direct deposits were sent to my account. I called and they stated they could not provide any information. I have still not received the funds that were sent to the closed account. That was Oct 25th 2018 it is now Nov 2 2018. I am contacting FTC and BBB.

Hello Robin,
We are very disappointed to read of your experience. Please contact us at social@netspend.com so that we may resolve this issue for you.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I been with Netspend for yrs. My direct deposit has always came a day early between 7:35-8:00pm. On Oct 15th my DD was delayed due to MetaBank having some problems... It was then "solved". The next day got my DD at 7:53pm. So here is my new pay period and I was suppose to get my check tonight and once again my money isn't there. And it's 8:25pm. This is ridiculous I have bills to pay. And I've already emailed Netspend at social@netspend.com so Don't tell me to do that or that someone contacted me because it's bs. Netspend is going to lose me as a customer due to this bring the second time. Please fix this problem so I can get my money and close my account.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Netspend is okay if you need an early deposit. Customer service tries their best to help you. HOWEVER, they come across as retarded because of the language barrier. I have something eating my account, I was considering a switch to upgrade, but I get several different answers EVERY TIME I call. Another thing, they want written disputes so there really is nothing you can do when something eats at your account unauthorized. It is complicated, but even more so with the customer service. They just DO NOT understand WHAT you are saying. Sure they can speak English, but English comprehension is messed up. Therefore with serious complaints, and concerns, they do not get. I told them someone was hacking my account and I get, "yes mam, bla bla".

I asked for a temporary credit, got crap as a response too. Nothing. Also I asked about switching accounts to the new All Access, had three different responses there too. One person told me nothing would change, the next told me my deposits would be slower, the next told me everything would change including my account number. They also said I would not have to worry about my future deposits if I activated it because it would automatically switch to the new account. If that is so how in the hell can I believe that because they are inconsistent with their answers to everything. They give you limited information, they do not train their staff right, it is not the staff’s fault, it is their corporate office, and training!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Netspend is awful, do not put your money on anything with their name, I liked Netspend but they have made it difficult to get your card activated. This is the second time I have used a card because my first one got stolen and I got a new temp card so I could pay my bills, well, I can't all because they need more verification, if it wasn't me why would I put money on it in someone else's name. I can barely understand the customer service reps, I'M tired of having to send documentation in when I have bills that should have been paid yesterday. I got lucky that I had cash on me or else I wouldn't have had gas. Horrible services, and until I get my matters taken care of I will put Netspend on full blast until someone helps or until everyone hears how awful your company is!!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

We are supposed to have received our direct deposit yesterday since we have always gotten it 2 days early. This morning we still haven’t received it now my daughter is out food and hungry.... wish I could get some answers to why.

Netspend expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Netspend is an American provider of reloadable prepaid cards and other financial services. They have been in business since 1999 and work with more than 10 million consumers to make purchases and pay bills, according to their website. Netspend offers FDIC-insured Visa and MasterCard prepaid cards. This is important because not all prepaid cards offer FDIC insurance. But note that prepaid cards do not help you build credit even though you’ll see a Visa or MasterCard logo on the card. Visa and MasterCard are only the payment processors for the prepaid cards.

• Prepaid cards: Netspend offers prepaid cards for Americans who either don't have a traditional bank account, such as checking or savings, or who can’t get a decent credit card due to a poor credit history. These consumers are often referred to as “the underbanked” because they lack access to traditional banking relationships. With a prepaid card, consumers load their own money onto the card. The card can then be used to make purchases. For those who don’t have a bank account, this is especially helpful for making purchases online or when you need to pay bills.

• Costs: There is no cost to open the account. There are three purchase plan options to choose from, including a pay-as-you-go plan.

• Corporate cards: Netspend has many prepaid card solutions for corporate clients that are useful for both employers and employees.

• Widely accepted: The company has over 70,000 distribution locations across the country and 130,000 reload points where consumers can purchase and reload their prepaid cards. These include retailers, convenience stores, grocery stores, check cashers, pharmacies and tax preparers.

• Customer Support: If you need help, you can contact Netsxpend via email, snail mail or phone. If you decide to call, customer support is available seven days a week.

• Best for: Those who can’t get a traditional bank account but need to make purchases and pay their bills. Also, these cards can be used by companies who want to use prepaid cards to fund a variety of situations, such as paying an employee’s bonus or managing employee expenses.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg