2. Finance
Accredited Partner

Call Now Toll Free
Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.08/5

Netspend is a leading provider of reloadable prepaid debit cards in the U.S. Our mission is to empower the millions of folks who don’t want or don’t have a traditional bank account. Netspend offers more than a piece of plastic with numbers on it. With a Netspend card, our cardholders get a bank-issued, FDIC-insured account that’s complete with fraud protection and global acceptance. Cardholders can even use unique virtual accounts for safe online shopping. Netspend gives cardholders the convenience of loading cash at more than 130,000 locations in the U.S., and the peace of mind that comes with getting paid faster with direct deposit. If you already have a Netspend card, “Thank you!”

Netspend Call Now Toll Free (855) 276-3765 Learn More
Call Now Toll Free

Netspend Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

I've been with Netspend when it first came out. It's very easy to use and you can load your money locally. So far, I've depended on that part of it. I just recently had a problem with it though and that was the only issue I've ever had with it. The person who took the statement took it wrong and said that I had agreed to the transaction and I had not. I had agreed to make the transaction. However, I did not know that the information that was coming out from the other end was false information. So, they did honor, went ahead and put the money on my card, but then they turned around when they investigated. For some reason, they thought I was okay with the transaction that they took it back off. So now, it's at negative $70. They said they're leaving it as it is and I don't see why.

I had ordered a drum set at Christmas time for my granddaughter. And the people that gave me the information through Amazon, gave me an email address and the number for the transaction, and all of it was fraud. I couldn't reach the person. They couldn't apparently reach the person, but I got something saying that they had reached the person and they were gonna either honor by sending the money back or honor it by sending the drum set back to me, and they did neither. And so, Netspend took the money. They put a thing to get the money back and I don't have it right now to put back. But I'm still very confident with Netspend other than this last issue. It also prompted me to get another card through Varo and I do have that to use. I've used it once already, but I don't feel as confident because I've been with Netspend for such a long time. So, I just go with Netspend.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

I saw NetSpend in an ad on the phone. I clicked it and they sent the card to me. I've been using it for 5 years now and I like the $10 withdrawal. If you ain't got it, you don't get an extra charge. For example, if I don't have enough money on my card, I could go up to negative 10 but there's no overdraft charge and there are no charges. All the other banks give it to you, but they'll charge you and they call it withdrawal protection. That's not withdrawal protection, that's just charging you. Other than that, I mainly get direct deposit with Social Security on my NetSpend card and I'd get it about five days early. Usually, it comes in 25th or the 26th of every month. But I get a 100 emails a month where it says if you refer a friend, you get $20, and they get $20. That is not true though and it gets kind of annoying. I've tried doing it before and it doesn't work.

Plus, they switched me to the NetSpend All-Access card without asking and I would not recommend that to any one. When I called them, they told me that I would save at ATMs with that card but I told them that I don't get charged for ATMs already. They said that I was but I just said that I'd rather stick with what I've been with for five years, so there'd be no confusion. They transferred me back to the regular NetSpend and they set me back up. So, there were no charges, just a little bit of confusion, but it got took care of. And as far as the NetSpend is concerned, everything else has been perfect. When I had issues with a few things, they fixed the problem.

Hello Michael,

Thank you for your candid feedback. If you have questions about the Refer a Friend program, please email social@netspend.com.

Netspend

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

I’m a truck driver and I have used NetSpend as my debit/credit access money thing since around 2003. I cringe to call NetSpend because I would get somebody who’s gonna tell me that her name is Elizabeth in some strange, twisted Punjabi dialect. I hate call centers overseas. I don’t begrudge anybody overseas making a living but we have enough people in United States that could use a job. Also, we have a different way of life and a different way of speaking in the United States. So, there’s a language barrier. Moreover, when I’m speaking to an American, I can get what I want quickly. I don’t have to go through six layers of apologies, which is what you get when you talk to these people. It seems like every other word is an apology and that’s the worst of it.

There is also an issue where I am right in the middle of buying a house and Quicken Mortgage said that they needed a traditional bank statement that has the bank’s name on the top or on the last page of the printed statement that says who I am. However, it is difficult to obtain a statement from the phone. The only time I can get a statement is if I open up a computer and go online. I have to go online and the only statement I can get for Quicken is from my debit card. I’m happy to have it but when I actually found how to get it, that wasn’t easy. Nonetheless, Quicken accepted that. However, I don't have a checking account with paper, so when some of the things came about that were necessary to facilitate the purchase on the house, the NetSpend thing didn’t work quite so good.

My company loads the card and over the course of years, I get the money. My paycheck fluctuates generally from 300 to 600 or 3,000 to 6,000, but the overdraft thing wouldn’t hurt my feelings to be available to somebody like me, because I direct deposit my paycheck into the account. Then, my card has ran out and I need a new card. I don’t know who they get their cards from, but they need to get them from somebody better because they’re worn out right after the first swipe.

I went to McDonald’s with a brand new card and it would not work. The girl grabbed a hold of my card, took a regular Scotch Tape and put it over the mag stripe. I know better than to do that, but I couldn’t stop her as it happened that fast. Now, it works every time in McDonalds but it doesn’t work everywhere else. Overall, with the exception of customer service and the way they give me a hard way to go in trying to get to somebody in the United States, I'd recommend NetSpend all the way.

Hello Craig,

Thank you for your candid feedback and for being a longtime Netspend cardholder.

Netspend

Original review: July 27, 2019

I've seen Netspend on a TV ad, and when I was working, my employer recommended it. I opted for Netspend because I had trouble with regular banks. My bank accounts were always getting hacked, so I didn't know if I was gonna get paid the same day or what was happening. Using Netspend now, I know where exactly the money's going and when it's coming in. It's also good when used to pay bills and make purchases online because I don't have to worry about anything. If I have a problem, I can call and they take action immediately. I don't have to do certain things like a regular bank. I have access to my statements online, and I'm able to use their reload locations, too. It's an easy process and they're right off the block. I only go to one of the locations because the other two take up to two days when you load the card. With the one that I go to, it's on your card within 15 minutes.

The only thing is that today, I had a problem because the card got damaged. There was a magnetic strip on the back that was scraped. When I received the card, the lady asked if I was able to use it and I said it was alright. However, it's now to the point where you have to put a bag on it in order to swipe it, and it's not doing it. And everything now is just swipe, as Netspend is still in the process of going with the chip. I was told the card can be replaced without a charge to me, it's just that I have to wait 7 to 10 business days. I need it as quickly as possible because I had to go to the doctors and everything, but then I have no choice.

Hello Denine,

We are glad to hear that you are happy with your Netspend services. It sounds like you are aware that your Online Account Center is a great resource for learning about your card benefits and available features.

We value your feedback. If you have additional questions or concerns, please send an email to us.

Netspend

Original review: July 9, 2019

Somebody told me about the Western Union NetSpend. He told me to go online, and I went online and found it. I set myself up and got a card. I've been using it ever since, for several years. And I like Western Union. I use them a lot and since NetSpend was partnered with them it made it easy for me do Western Union transfers and also, we receive Western Union transfers and put the tracking number on my log in when I log in. And so the money goes there. I don’t have to go through an agent to get it.

I also get my direct deposits from there. I get my VA up to five days early and my social security up to two days early. Those are the perks right there and I like it. I've never had any issues. I’ve paid bills, transferred money. The only time I have some issues is when I transferred internationally to Jamaica which is where I have family. And because of the areas being high risk, it’s jammed, deleted, and etcetera. I've had a few of my transfers cancelled to protect me and to make sure that I was all right. But that was the only issue that I've ever had.

And usually, when I have something like hotel and how you always authorize more money than they should, they usually put the authorization back onto my account within a day, within 24 hours, which is also good, opposed to other cards which take up to three days or longer. The reps were very professional and very knowledgeable. They answer all my questions. And I don’t have a long wait time for them.

I'm happy with the service. They come right on and if they don’t have the answer to the question, they usually are able to escalate it, and I usually get back a response within another 24 hours also, probably the next business day if it’s on a weekend. I'm really glad that I chose to use NetSpend, and I would definitely recommend it to friends. And I have had it for several years and have had no issues. I can do anything with it that a regular credit card or a debit card could do. I wouldn’t make any changes.

Hello Gregory,

We are glad to hear that you are able to use the features that are offered to our cardholders. Thank you for your review.

Netspend

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Netspend?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: May 30, 2020

I have been with Netspend since 2005. Never had a problem till now. I filed a dispute against a foreign business that once they get your card info they keep hitting your account. I filed a dispute & received my money back temporarily. Now with rent due Netspend does a reversal & takes my money saying I now owe them. I have proof of how this business runs & even Paypal stopped doing business with that business because of scams & complaints. Be aware of how Netspend operates. It sure isn't in the interest of the card holder...going to Chime as Netspend has lost my account & many others because of this!

Hello,

Our records show that an agent from our Corporate Office has reached out to you.

If you have additional questions or concerns about the dispute process, please email us at social@netspend.com.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: May 27, 2020

I been using Netspend for years now, my stimulus check was sent to an old account that I misplaced the card and I did not know was there, I have another account with netspend that I use regularly. So when I contacted netspend they told me that my stimulus was deposited into the old account. So when I told the representative to deposit the 1200 from the stimulus check into my account that I've been using now they said they were unable to do that because somebody had already spent the 1200 from the old account and that that old account had a balance of $0.57.

I haven't used the old account in maybe 2 years so I reported it and made a claim for the $1,200 that the person stole from me. They said that the person was making withdrawals from ATMs in Brooklyn New York when I'm from Queens New York and the account I'm using now all the activity that I do is in Queens so I pray that during their investigation that they are able to credit me back that money because right now is a very tough time and I'm in need of that stimulus money more than ever. I didnt know I had that old account. If I did I would of been able to have ordered a new card and none of this would of never happened. Please netspend can you help me. My name is Jesse Joseph.

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to speak with us about the dispute process. For additional questions or concerns, please email us at social@netspend.com.

-Netspend

Original review: May 24, 2020

I can't honestly say that it's the best. All the experiences that I've had with them has been not that greatest. Their accents of many DIFFERENT nationalities so there is NO specific nationality pointed out here. I'm a biracial person and so are my children. I'm only saying it's very hard to understand what they are saying. I wouldn't recommend this card if YOU HONESTLY don't have use it.

Hello,

NetSpend is an equal opportunity employer. We thrive by hiring the best and brightest talent, as we believe our continued success lies in teamwork, diversity, and opportunities to continually develop and grow our people.

We assure you that it is always our objective to take care of our cardholders’ interests. We strive to achieve a high level of customer satisfaction, and continually look into ways of improving our products and services to meet the needs and expectations of all our esteemed cardholders like you.

If you would like to discuss your specific account with us, please email social@netspend.com.

Original review: May 21, 2020

Why did we get debit cards that we do not ask for? Where is our personal information coming from. Just like spam but now it via any business that buys list from sellers who do not ask for our permission to make money on our names. More phishing, more bottom feeders. If we want something we will ask. Star system needs changing. Should go minus.

Hello,

Netspend relies on affiliate marketing services as a source for reaching potential new customers and your information was acquired through these business relationships. Your name and address were provided to this third party, and that information was opted in to receive offers and marketing materials from the third party as well as any third party with whom you chose to share the information. Because Netspend feels strongly about customer privacy, we only contract with marketing affiliates that have collected the information from willing consumers and have received permission to share it with us.

The offer and accompanying disclosures you received were distributed in compliance with the Electronic Funds Transfer Act as implemented through Regulation E (12 CFR 1005.5(b)). The social security number and date of birth were not provided and are not connected to this offer in any way. No account in your name has been activated as part of this offer. This offer is NOT a credit card, it contains no value and it cannot be used to conduct transactions. No credit report has been or will be obtained in connection with this offer, and this offer does not have any effect on your credit.

We can make sure that your name and address are removed from our system and that the card you received is permanently blocked. Please send your request to us at social@netspend.com so that we can take care of it.

Original review: May 21, 2020

Everything has been great with Netspend/ I like the customer service and advanced days’ pay. When I had to call them for a dispute of a charge, it went great. I couldn’t log in on the mobile app because it kept saying my password wasn’t correct but I didn't even worry about it.

Netspend author review by Barbara Friedberg

Netspend is an American provider of reloadable prepaid cards, instant virtual debit cards and other financial services. Netspend has more than 70,000 distribution locations and 130,000 places to reload cards.

• Prepaid cards: Netspend offers prepaid Visa and MasterCard accounts for individuals and businesses. Netspend cardholders enjoy custom card designs, virtual card numbers and zero liability protection.

• Pricing and fees: Netspend card purchase fees are up to $9.95. Monthly fees vary from $0 to $9.95. There is a $2.50 fee to withdraw cash from an ATM.

• Purchase cushion: Instead of overdrafts, Netspend provides a purchase cushion that covers up to $10 if you are short on funds.

• Rewards: Earn cash back through the company’s Payback Rewards program.

• Corporate cards: Netspend has many prepaid card solutions for corporate clients that are useful for both employers and employees.

• Widely accepted: The company has more than 70,000 distribution locations across the country and 130,000 reload points where consumers can purchase and reload their prepaid cards. These include retailers, convenience stores, grocery stores, check cashers, pharmacies and tax preparers.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor