2.15/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Netspend is a leading provider of reloadable prepaid debit cards in the U.S. Our mission is to empower the millions of folks who don’t want or don’t have a traditional bank account. Netspend offers more than a piece of plastic with numbers on it. With a Netspend card, our cardholders get a bank-issued, FDIC-insured account that’s complete with fraud protection and global acceptance. Cardholders can even use unique virtual accounts for safe online shopping. Netspend gives cardholders the convenience of loading cash at more than 130,000 locations in the U.S., and the peace of mind that comes with getting paid faster with direct deposit. If you already have a Netspend card, “Thank you!”

Netspend Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

I’m a truck driver and I have used NetSpend as my debit/credit access money thing since around 2003. I cringe to call NetSpend because I would get somebody who’s gonna tell me that her name is Elizabeth in some strange, twisted Punjabi dialect. I hate call centers overseas. I don’t begrudge anybody overseas making a living but we have enough people in United States that could use a job. Also, we have a different way of life and a different way of speaking in the United States. So, there’s a language barrier. Moreover, when I’m speaking to an American, I can get what I want quickly. I don’t have to go through six layers of apologies, which is what you get when you talk to these people. It seems like every other word is an apology and that’s the worst of it.

There is also an issue where I am right in the middle of buying a house and Quicken Mortgage said that they needed a traditional bank statement that has the bank’s name on the top or on the last page of the printed statement that says who I am. However, it is difficult to obtain a statement from the phone. The only time I can get a statement is if I open up a computer and go online. I have to go online and the only statement I can get for Quicken is from my debit card. I’m happy to have it but when I actually found how to get it, that wasn’t easy. Nonetheless, Quicken accepted that. However, I don't have a checking account with paper, so when some of the things came about that were necessary to facilitate the purchase on the house, the NetSpend thing didn’t work quite so good.

My company loads the card and over the course of years, I get the money. My paycheck fluctuates generally from 300 to 600 or 3,000 to 6,000, but the overdraft thing wouldn’t hurt my feelings to be available to somebody like me, because I direct deposit my paycheck into the account. Then, my card has ran out and I need a new card. I don’t know who they get their cards from, but they need to get them from somebody better because they’re worn out right after the first swipe.

I went to McDonald’s with a brand new card and it would not work. The girl grabbed a hold of my card, took a regular Scotch Tape and put it over the mag stripe. I know better than to do that, but I couldn’t stop her as it happened that fast. Now, it works every time in McDonalds but it doesn’t work everywhere else. Overall, with the exception of customer service and the way they give me a hard way to go in trying to get to somebody in the United States, I'd recommend NetSpend all the way.

Hello Craig,

Thank you for your candid feedback and for being a longtime Netspend cardholder.

Have a great day,

Netspend

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Debit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 9, 2019

Somebody told me about the Western Union NetSpend. He told me to go online, and I went online and found it. I set myself up and got a card. I've been using it ever since, for several years. And I like Western Union. I use them a lot and since NetSpend was partnered with them it made it easy for me do Western Union transfers and also, we receive Western Union transfers and put the tracking number on my log in when I log in. And so the money goes there. I don’t have to go through an agent to get it.

I also get my direct deposits from there. I get my VA up to five days early and my social security up to two days early. Those are the perks right there and I like it. I've never had any issues. I’ve paid bills, transferred money. The only time I have some issues is when I transferred internationally to Jamaica which is where I have family. And because of the areas being high risk, it’s jammed, deleted, and etcetera. I've had a few of my transfers cancelled to protect me and to make sure that I was all right. But that was the only issue that I've ever had.

And usually, when I have something like hotel and how you always authorize more money than they should, they usually put the authorization back onto my account within a day, within 24 hours, which is also good, opposed to other cards which take up to three days or longer. The reps were very professional and very knowledgeable. They answer all my questions. And I don’t have a long wait time for them.

I'm happy with the service. They come right on and if they don’t have the answer to the question, they usually are able to escalate it, and I usually get back a response within another 24 hours also, probably the next business day if it’s on a weekend. I'm really glad that I chose to use NetSpend, and I would definitely recommend it to friends. And I have had it for several years and have had no issues. I can do anything with it that a regular credit card or a debit card could do. I wouldn’t make any changes.

Hello Gregory,

We are glad to hear that you are able to use the features that are offered to our cardholders. Thank you for your review.

Have a great day,

Netspend

Original review: June 3, 2019

I love NetSpend. I've had my account for about six years now and I’ve had so many direct deposits come into my card. I've also used the card a lot. When I talk to their reps, not one time did I ever have anybody rude or someone who tried to rush me off the phone. I never got things that showed me they really didn't care or have times when their reps gave me some textbook-type answer and I wouldn't even know what they meant. Everybody has always been patient with me. Even after their reps solve my issue, they explain to me how that issue even came about and what ways I can use to prevent myself from even getting such an issue.

One time, I was at a self-service gas station, I didn't know that with certain stations, the hold that the pump would do when I swipe NetSpend's card wouldn't show. When I called, their rep explained everything to me and calmed me down. She said that they actually charged my card for $45. Also, I’m starting to run into problems wherein a lot of the places I go to are saying that they don't accept prepaid cards. I tried to sign up for the Earnin app where you can receive an advance on your paycheck but then they don't accept a prepaid card. Also for Lyft or Uber, I tried to put my card on their app but then it said that they don't accept prepaid cards. That was a pain for me because my car was at the shop that time and all my money was in my NetSpend card. I had to call a taxi which charged way more money.

Also, if I was banking with one of the major banks, I would have been able to help my credit. I'm trying to get more established and build my credit but then nothing really builds my credit with the prepaid card. So now, I'm thinking I may have to have half my paycheck deposited into a checking account and then the other half deposited into my NetSpend account. By doing that, I can still be able to access my funds two days earlier.

There was also one time that I got charged when I wasn't supposed to. Once again I called and told NetSpend's reps. They put the money back on my card and did not ask me a whole bunch of questions. They didn't think I was lying or trying this and that. With a lot of other prepaid card providers, they make users go through a really long strenuous process when you’re in situations like that. I really needed the money at the time that happened to me, so what NetSpend did helped me out a lot.

Original review: March 29, 2019

I have been a Netspend user for many years. I use it strictly. Direct deposit and all bill pay and everyday living. I have the All Access account now. Love it. I’ve never had a single problem and the 2 occasions I did? Resolved by customer service quickly. Even with the CSR’s terrible English. I LOVE the fact that you can transfer money to any Netspend card through the app in about 30 seconds. You can save any flash ID for whatever card you transfer to. And it costs nothing.

I wish you could do more than 4 transfers in 24 hours because I have 4 kids and if they need money any time, any place. I can transfer it to them in 30 secs. I’ve literally had my fiancé at checkout for groceries and have the total rang up and her text me saying she needs whatever amount. I have it sent to her card the exact amount to the penny INSTANTLY. Without making the people behind her wait whatsoever. Money is always available INSTANTLY. I go on my iPhone app and hit “move money” icon. “Send” Icon. It pulls up my list of family member. I tap “WIFE”. Punch in my card # and CVV code for security purposes. Hit “confirm”. And BAM. The second I hit confirm it’s available.

Also the text alerts are awesome. Someone uses my card and I know immediately. The app is as good as carrying a bank in your pocket. Anything you need you have with the app. Find an ATM, Western Union, transfer money card to card or from a bank account, it shows all past and present purchases and charges. I love the balance protection feature. It’s only $15 charge for an overdraft. But it gives you 24 hours to deposit the money with no charge. So if tomorrow is payday and you have direct deposit? You need gas, something to eat. Whatever.

You can use your overdraft and it won’t cost a penny because that paycheck will be in there 1st thing in the morning. Great for kids in college or high school. If they need money for anything but they are 100 or 1000 miles away? It’s just as fast as if they were standing right in front of you and all you had to do is reach in your pocket and pull the cash out. It’s just as convenient. Any emergency. No matter when or where they are. 30 seconds and they have it. Basically any amount. I think my app access is $7500 max for one day. Different accounts differ as far as fees and such.

I only pay $5 per month and have unlimited purchases and 1 free ATM withdrawal per month and no extra fee ever if I use an ATM in the network. Just a charge for whatever the ATM owner charges. As opposed to paying the owners fee PLUS $2.50 Netspend fee like the standard card off the shelf. If you get just a run of the mill basic Netspend account it’s $1 minimum every purchase. Up to 2.50 depending on how it’s categorized. So for someone like me that uses Netspend strictly? $5 a month is the way to go.

Although I think for someone who’s such a loyal customer like me should get free unlimited purchases. Without the $5 monthly fee. Maybe a $2.50 max if ANYTHING. But I can’t complain much really. I can make international transactions for online sports betting. Which is what initially brought me to Netspend. Because the only way you can bet on football online for real money is the that loophole they use by banking internationally. Which is now changed and becoming legal in most states and I’d say soon EVERY state. But I can make foreign purchases for about 3% of whatever I’m paying for. And nothing else but that one fee.

I could go on and on with the awesome benefits of Netspend All Access. It’s the only way for me. I even have a Netspend Savings account. And it’s free. No minimum balance and pays interest. 6% APR. I signed up through the app. Took me about 1 minute. Started dropping $25 a week every payday. Set up recurring. I can stop it any time. Jump on the app and it’ll be done in a minute flat. I can’t say evolving about Netspend All Access. All I can say is these bad reviews I’ve been reading on here? You can clearly tell most of them are inbreeds, or just plain stupid. Or just full of **. Period.

Oh yeah, and if you use Netspend and you don’t have the app? You're insane. Or stupid. One of the two. Also what I do for a failsafe is I keep 2 cards and 2 separate accounts for me personally. One of them is just basic. I barely use it. Only for crap where you get a free trial or something like that and they need a card to set up payments if you don’t cancel. Because I know there’s no money on it so if I forget I won’t get charged. But I keep that card put up so that if I lose my main card I can just transfer my paycheck over to it until my replacement card arrives. Then transfer it back. Doesn’t cost a thing and I won’t be stuck waiting on the card. I transfer everything to the spare card before reporting the main one lost or stolen. Because they freeze the account once it’s reported. Then you’ll be stuck till you get the replacement. There’s so many more great features but I’ve spent enough time sucking Netspend’s balls.

I just started reading the bad reviews and was like... yeah. These are some bonafide cousin ** idiots. And I felt compelled to give a real review from a regular, middle class, Joe Schmoe that has common sense and doesn’t just make fake bad reviews because I’m bored. And is fairly educated and not a hilljack with a 3rd grade education. Thank you. I highly recommend Netspend All Access.

Dear Clifton,

Thank you for your feedback! We are excited to hear that you are very happy with our card. We strive to create features and tools that will benefit our valued customers.

Netspend

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I think I was one of NetSpend's first customers. I’ve been with NetSpend for over 10 years now and I would recommend them. I was moving form Dallas to Corpus Christi and I had all my banks in Dallas. I wanted to have an option that was easy without having to move everything around. With NetSpend, I was able to do everything I needed to do, like transfer money and pay bills. They used to have credit reporting in the beginning though, and that was a great feature. It sure would help your credit a lot. But it got stopped so that’s one thing that I’d like to see come back.

Nonetheless, NetSpend does everything a brick-and-mortar bank does but it saves me a trip to the bank most of the time. I also have better access to my funds than through a bank. Big banks don’t really do much for me. NetSpend is a lot simpler and easier for me. Aside from the simplicity, NetSpend also has better fees for the most part. But I have an issue with that. About a month ago, I called in because I was inquiring about this new card that they had at the check cashing place. NetSpend has some type of promotion or upgrade and it was the same thing that I have. Ironically, as I was there, a billing came through for $9.95 and the lady behind the window was like, “You should be paying $4.95.” And I should because I’ve always had direct deposit with NetSpend and they were always like $5,000 a month in direct deposits. But I’ve been getting billed $9.95 for a few years. So that was supposed to be credited back.

I talked to a lady on the phone and she said that I was absolutely correct, that it was an error and that they were gonna resolve it. I should have been on that a long time ago too, but they don’t know why that happened. They had to escalate it and then it took about an hour to get through the conversations, which was fair. But I haven’t seen anything done about it in a month. But I’ve always had good experience with NetSpend. Very rarely, but it happens, you get a charge that gets held longer than it should and that needs to be removed. But if I had a dispute, it was handled. It’s more centralized with NetSpend. There are less people and smaller is better.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Netspend?

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

I'm so done with this company. If they only mail you one card how on earth can someone make 2 atms withdrawals without having your card and pin number. 360$ taken from me in one minute, 1pm-101pm but y'all can't find anything wrong with that. No credit or refund give. SMH. Why even file a claim? I thank God it wasn't a larger amount. If have you other options far as banking you're better off with them.

Hello Larry,

Thank you for taking the time to speak with us on October 30, 2019 regarding your recently filed dispute. As a reminder, please email social@netspend.com if you have additional questions or concerns.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

So I have been using Netspend for about 5 years now. This year I had issues with someone from the state of Washington accessing my funds and a company withdrawing from my account every two weeks without permission. I submitted disputes. Netspend closed my account on a holiday weekend and advised they will mail me a check in 10 days. I have no other access to money and needs to pay my light bill. They hung up on me twice before getting an actual manager to say he would forward it up to home office. I am really about to be in the dark behind these people. I was not given any notice and it's a holiday weekend.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2019

My wife & I received a text from Net-spend that our cards had been flagged for fraudulent activity. After calling Net spend and spending over 3 hours on the phone. We were advised that new cards would be issued. Not an hour after the call the entire account was closed & then $758.00 was moved to another card. When we contacted Netspend they advised us that one of us did this. We told them in about 50 times we did not. Now we were transferred around 5 times & one lady could not even remember her name so we could take down information. Netspend refused to give us any information on how the money was allegedly transferred. We were told we had to file a police report & an FTC report, which we did. I drove to the Austin Texas HQ on Brazos street & sat in the lobby for an hour & a half. No one would come out to speak with me. Every time we speak to the so called fraud department we get a different representative & a new story.

I just got off the phone with another rep & she wants a dispute email. There is no manager in fraud department according to them. My wife & I are fully committed to getting our money back & looking at all options. Just seems quite the coincidence that the money was taken after the fraud alert. By the way someone was supposed to call me from the corporate office & that has not happened either.

Hello Tim,

We are sorry to hear this. We apologize for any inconvenience the situation has caused.

Our records show that an agent from our Corporate Office has been in contact with the affected cardholder. For additional questions or concerns, please email social@netspend.com.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2019

Forget filing a dispute here! They don't help you at all. My car was broken into and my phone and card were stolen. I filed a police report and I filed a dispute on October 20th for multiple fraudulent transactions, Netspend told me I would get a update on the 1st of November. When the 1st came around they said no error was found. They said the reason it was denied was 'cause my balance was checked with my phone while the transaction was taken place!! I told them my phone was also stolen too! They refuse to let me appeal it and when I request what documents they used to deny my dispute they said they'll email them to me. I still have not received them. This bank is horrible! All it does is steal people's money.

Hello Michael,

Thank you for taking the time to speak with us about the dispute process and your account. For additional questions or concerns, please email social@netspend.com.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

Warning. Do not waste your time or money buying a Netspend card. Total rip-off. A get over ask you all questions then tell you that you can't spend your money and can not take none out of a ATM. Say you only can make in store transactions which doesn't make sense. I can spend cash in the store. So warning do not I repeat do not waste your time or money. This business really needs to go out of business. I hate that I had to give them one star because they don't deserve it.

Hello Brandon,

Thank you for taking the time to speak with us. If you have additional questions about the Limited Use option or about your card, please email social@netspend.com.

Have a good day,

Netspend expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Netspend is an American provider of reloadable prepaid cards and other financial services. They have been in business since 1999 and work with more than 10 million consumers to make purchases and pay bills, according to their website. Netspend offers FDIC-insured Visa and MasterCard prepaid cards. This is important because not all prepaid cards offer FDIC insurance. But note that prepaid cards do not help you build credit even though you’ll see a Visa or MasterCard logo on the card. Visa and MasterCard are only the payment processors for the prepaid cards.

• Prepaid cards: Netspend offers prepaid cards for Americans who either don't have a traditional bank account, such as checking or savings, or who can’t get a decent credit card due to a poor credit history. These consumers are often referred to as “the underbanked” because they lack access to traditional banking relationships. With a prepaid card, consumers load their own money onto the card. The card can then be used to make purchases. For those who don’t have a bank account, this is especially helpful for making purchases online or when you need to pay bills.

• Costs: There is no cost to open the account. There are three purchase plan options to choose from, including a pay-as-you-go plan.

• Corporate cards: Netspend has many prepaid card solutions for corporate clients that are useful for both employers and employees.

• Widely accepted: The company has over 70,000 distribution locations across the country and 130,000 reload points where consumers can purchase and reload their prepaid cards. These include retailers, convenience stores, grocery stores, check cashers, pharmacies and tax preparers.

• Customer Support: If you need help, you can contact Netsxpend via email, snail mail or phone. If you decide to call, customer support is available seven days a week.

• Best for: Those who can’t get a traditional bank account but need to make purchases and pay their bills. Also, these cards can be used by companies who want to use prepaid cards to fund a variety of situations, such as paying an employee’s bonus or managing employee expenses.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg