2. Finance
  3. Prepaid Cards
ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Visit Website
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.80/5

Netspend is a leading provider of reloadable prepaid debit cards in the U.S. Our mission is to empower the millions of folks who don’t want or don’t have a traditional bank account. Netspend offers more than a piece of plastic with numbers on it. With a Netspend card, our cardholders get a bank-issued, FDIC-insured account that’s complete with fraud protection and global acceptance. Cardholders can even use unique virtual accounts for safe online shopping. Netspend gives cardholders the convenience of loading cash at more than 130,000 locations in the U.S., and the peace of mind that comes with getting paid faster with direct deposit. If you already have a Netspend card, “Thank you!”

Netspend Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

I’m a truck driver and I have used NetSpend as my debit/credit access money thing since around 2003. I cringe to call NetSpend because I would get somebody who’s gonna tell me that her name is Elizabeth in some strange, twisted Punjabi dialect. I hate call centers overseas. I don’t begrudge anybody overseas making a living but we have enough people in United States that could use a job. Also, we have a different way of life and a different way of speaking in the United States. So, there’s a language barrier. Moreover, when I’m speaking to an American, I can get what I want quickly. I don’t have to go through six layers of apologies, which is what you get when you talk to these people. It seems like every other word is an apology and that’s the worst of it.

There is also an issue where I am right in the middle of buying a house and Quicken Mortgage said that they needed a traditional bank statement that has the bank’s name on the top or on the last page of the printed statement that says who I am. However, it is difficult to obtain a statement from the phone. The only time I can get a statement is if I open up a computer and go online. I have to go online and the only statement I can get for Quicken is from my debit card. I’m happy to have it but when I actually found how to get it, that wasn’t easy. Nonetheless, Quicken accepted that. However, I don't have a checking account with paper, so when some of the things came about that were necessary to facilitate the purchase on the house, the NetSpend thing didn’t work quite so good.

My company loads the card and over the course of years, I get the money. My paycheck fluctuates generally from 300 to 600 or 3,000 to 6,000, but the overdraft thing wouldn’t hurt my feelings to be available to somebody like me, because I direct deposit my paycheck into the account. Then, my card has ran out and I need a new card. I don’t know who they get their cards from, but they need to get them from somebody better because they’re worn out right after the first swipe.

I went to McDonald’s with a brand new card and it would not work. The girl grabbed a hold of my card, took a regular Scotch Tape and put it over the mag stripe. I know better than to do that, but I couldn’t stop her as it happened that fast. Now, it works every time in McDonalds but it doesn’t work everywhere else. Overall, with the exception of customer service and the way they give me a hard way to go in trying to get to somebody in the United States, I'd recommend NetSpend all the way.

Hello Craig,

Thank you for your candid feedback and for being a longtime Netspend cardholder.

Have a great day,

Netspend

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 27, 2019

I've seen Netspend on a TV ad, and when I was working, my employer recommended it. I opted for Netspend because I had trouble with regular banks. My bank accounts were always getting hacked, so I didn't know if I was gonna get paid the same day or what was happening. Using Netspend now, I know where exactly the money's going and when it's coming in. It's also good when used to pay bills and make purchases online because I don't have to worry about anything. If I have a problem, I can call and they take action immediately. I don't have to do certain things like a regular bank. I have access to my statements online, and I'm able to use their reload locations, too. It's an easy process and they're right off the block. I only go to one of the locations because the other two take up to two days when you load the card. With the one that I go to, it's on your card within 15 minutes.

The only thing is that today, I had a problem because the card got damaged. There was a magnetic strip on the back that was scraped. When I received the card, the lady asked if I was able to use it and I said it was alright. However, it's now to the point where you have to put a bag on it in order to swipe it, and it's not doing it. And everything now is just swipe, as Netspend is still in the process of going with the chip. I was told the card can be replaced without a charge to me, it's just that I have to wait 7 to 10 business days. I need it as quickly as possible because I had to go to the doctors and everything, but then I have no choice.

Hello Denine,

We are glad to hear that you are happy with your Netspend services. It sounds like you are aware that your Online Account Center is a great resource for learning about your card benefits and available features.

We value your feedback. If you have additional questions or concerns, please send an email to us.

Netspend

Original review: July 9, 2019

Somebody told me about the Western Union NetSpend. He told me to go online, and I went online and found it. I set myself up and got a card. I've been using it ever since, for several years. And I like Western Union. I use them a lot and since NetSpend was partnered with them it made it easy for me do Western Union transfers and also, we receive Western Union transfers and put the tracking number on my log in when I log in. And so the money goes there. I don’t have to go through an agent to get it.

I also get my direct deposits from there. I get my VA up to five days early and my social security up to two days early. Those are the perks right there and I like it. I've never had any issues. I’ve paid bills, transferred money. The only time I have some issues is when I transferred internationally to Jamaica which is where I have family. And because of the areas being high risk, it’s jammed, deleted, and etcetera. I've had a few of my transfers cancelled to protect me and to make sure that I was all right. But that was the only issue that I've ever had.

And usually, when I have something like hotel and how you always authorize more money than they should, they usually put the authorization back onto my account within a day, within 24 hours, which is also good, opposed to other cards which take up to three days or longer. The reps were very professional and very knowledgeable. They answer all my questions. And I don’t have a long wait time for them.

I'm happy with the service. They come right on and if they don’t have the answer to the question, they usually are able to escalate it, and I usually get back a response within another 24 hours also, probably the next business day if it’s on a weekend. I'm really glad that I chose to use NetSpend, and I would definitely recommend it to friends. And I have had it for several years and have had no issues. I can do anything with it that a regular credit card or a debit card could do. I wouldn’t make any changes.

Hello Gregory,

We are glad to hear that you are able to use the features that are offered to our cardholders. Thank you for your review.

Have a great day,

Netspend

Original review: June 3, 2019

I love NetSpend. I've had my account for about six years now and I’ve had so many direct deposits come into my card. I've also used the card a lot. When I talk to their reps, not one time did I ever have anybody rude or someone who tried to rush me off the phone. I never got things that showed me they really didn't care or have times when their reps gave me some textbook-type answer and I wouldn't even know what they meant. Everybody has always been patient with me. Even after their reps solve my issue, they explain to me how that issue even came about and what ways I can use to prevent myself from even getting such an issue.

One time, I was at a self-service gas station, I didn't know that with certain stations, the hold that the pump would do when I swipe NetSpend's card wouldn't show. When I called, their rep explained everything to me and calmed me down. She said that they actually charged my card for $45. Also, I’m starting to run into problems wherein a lot of the places I go to are saying that they don't accept prepaid cards. I tried to sign up for the Earnin app where you can receive an advance on your paycheck but then they don't accept a prepaid card. Also for Lyft or Uber, I tried to put my card on their app but then it said that they don't accept prepaid cards. That was a pain for me because my car was at the shop that time and all my money was in my NetSpend card. I had to call a taxi which charged way more money.

Also, if I was banking with one of the major banks, I would have been able to help my credit. I'm trying to get more established and build my credit but then nothing really builds my credit with the prepaid card. So now, I'm thinking I may have to have half my paycheck deposited into a checking account and then the other half deposited into my NetSpend account. By doing that, I can still be able to access my funds two days earlier.

There was also one time that I got charged when I wasn't supposed to. Once again I called and told NetSpend's reps. They put the money back on my card and did not ask me a whole bunch of questions. They didn't think I was lying or trying this and that. With a lot of other prepaid card providers, they make users go through a really long strenuous process when you’re in situations like that. I really needed the money at the time that happened to me, so what NetSpend did helped me out a lot.

Original review: March 29, 2019

I have been a Netspend user for many years. I use it strictly. Direct deposit and all bill pay and everyday living. I have the All Access account now. Love it. I’ve never had a single problem and the 2 occasions I did? Resolved by customer service quickly. Even with the CSR’s terrible English. I LOVE the fact that you can transfer money to any Netspend card through the app in about 30 seconds. You can save any flash ID for whatever card you transfer to. And it costs nothing.

I wish you could do more than 4 transfers in 24 hours because I have 4 kids and if they need money any time, any place. I can transfer it to them in 30 secs. I’ve literally had my fiancé at checkout for groceries and have the total rang up and her text me saying she needs whatever amount. I have it sent to her card the exact amount to the penny INSTANTLY. Without making the people behind her wait whatsoever. Money is always available INSTANTLY. I go on my iPhone app and hit “move money” icon. “Send” Icon. It pulls up my list of family member. I tap “WIFE”. Punch in my card # and CVV code for security purposes. Hit “confirm”. And BAM. The second I hit confirm it’s available.

Also the text alerts are awesome. Someone uses my card and I know immediately. The app is as good as carrying a bank in your pocket. Anything you need you have with the app. Find an ATM, Western Union, transfer money card to card or from a bank account, it shows all past and present purchases and charges. I love the balance protection feature. It’s only $15 charge for an overdraft. But it gives you 24 hours to deposit the money with no charge. So if tomorrow is payday and you have direct deposit? You need gas, something to eat. Whatever.

You can use your overdraft and it won’t cost a penny because that paycheck will be in there 1st thing in the morning. Great for kids in college or high school. If they need money for anything but they are 100 or 1000 miles away? It’s just as fast as if they were standing right in front of you and all you had to do is reach in your pocket and pull the cash out. It’s just as convenient. Any emergency. No matter when or where they are. 30 seconds and they have it. Basically any amount. I think my app access is $7500 max for one day. Different accounts differ as far as fees and such.

I only pay $5 per month and have unlimited purchases and 1 free ATM withdrawal per month and no extra fee ever if I use an ATM in the network. Just a charge for whatever the ATM owner charges. As opposed to paying the owners fee PLUS $2.50 Netspend fee like the standard card off the shelf. If you get just a run of the mill basic Netspend account it’s $1 minimum every purchase. Up to 2.50 depending on how it’s categorized. So for someone like me that uses Netspend strictly? $5 a month is the way to go.

Although I think for someone who’s such a loyal customer like me should get free unlimited purchases. Without the $5 monthly fee. Maybe a $2.50 max if ANYTHING. But I can’t complain much really. I can make international transactions for online sports betting. Which is what initially brought me to Netspend. Because the only way you can bet on football online for real money is the that loophole they use by banking internationally. Which is now changed and becoming legal in most states and I’d say soon EVERY state. But I can make foreign purchases for about 3% of whatever I’m paying for. And nothing else but that one fee.

I could go on and on with the awesome benefits of Netspend All Access. It’s the only way for me. I even have a Netspend Savings account. And it’s free. No minimum balance and pays interest. 6% APR. I signed up through the app. Took me about 1 minute. Started dropping $25 a week every payday. Set up recurring. I can stop it any time. Jump on the app and it’ll be done in a minute flat. I can’t say evolving about Netspend All Access. All I can say is these bad reviews I’ve been reading on here? You can clearly tell most of them are inbreeds, or just plain stupid. Or just full of **. Period.

Oh yeah, and if you use Netspend and you don’t have the app? You're insane. Or stupid. One of the two. Also what I do for a failsafe is I keep 2 cards and 2 separate accounts for me personally. One of them is just basic. I barely use it. Only for crap where you get a free trial or something like that and they need a card to set up payments if you don’t cancel. Because I know there’s no money on it so if I forget I won’t get charged. But I keep that card put up so that if I lose my main card I can just transfer my paycheck over to it until my replacement card arrives. Then transfer it back. Doesn’t cost a thing and I won’t be stuck waiting on the card. I transfer everything to the spare card before reporting the main one lost or stolen. Because they freeze the account once it’s reported. Then you’ll be stuck till you get the replacement. There’s so many more great features but I’ve spent enough time sucking Netspend’s balls.

I just started reading the bad reviews and was like... yeah. These are some bonafide cousin ** idiots. And I felt compelled to give a real review from a regular, middle class, Joe Schmoe that has common sense and doesn’t just make fake bad reviews because I’m bored. And is fairly educated and not a hilljack with a 3rd grade education. Thank you. I highly recommend Netspend All Access.

Dear Clifton,

Thank you for your feedback! We are excited to hear that you are very happy with our card. We strive to create features and tools that will benefit our valued customers.

Netspend

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Netspend?

Original review: Feb. 22, 2020

It's convenient being able to load the money and always knowing my balance. And when I go in and load it, it's easy. I also like Netspend’s consistency, how they keep me updated. I had an issue one time with them but they called me right away and corrected it. I was very happy with it. They were right on point, talked very clearly, answered all my questions and solved them out real quickly. I like the way that they protect their customer.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2020

My wife made a $25.00 donation to a Presidential campaign recently-the entity collecting the donations for the campaign proceeded over the next two days to take out 5 more $25.00 transactions totaling $125.00. I called Netspend and reported this incident and I was told it would take a minimum of 10 business days to investigate and could take up to 45 days-even though I told them it was not an authorized transaction by me-and I have to wait until they even approve me for a provisional credit-these transactions were not authorized by me-what needs to be investigated? Bank of America gives you your money back right away-why can't Netspend?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

I put money on the card. A few months later I check to see the remainder (since I did use it once). And there is $0.00 on my account/card. Can't believe a scam like this is sold in grocery stores across the country.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

NetSpend is a very good card which I've had for about three years now. I get my money faster, the direct deposit. And the customer service is pretty fast. If I have any issues or questions, they answer right on to the point. Thank you NetSpend for making my life a little easier. My kids have one each as well.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

I have NetSpend account. The very first time I used direct deposit was great. I got it two days earlier than I got paid. But that followed Friday someone withdrawal over 200 dollars from my account from an atm in another city 3 hrs away while I have my card in my possession. How does that even happen? I just made the account, only used it when got paid and in 2 days my account has been hacked. And was told to wait 45 days to determine an investigation when I did everything they ask within the same day I made my claim and police report and sent documents to the email suggested within 2 days. I did wait or anything and still haven't received my money. NetSpend is a fraud. Please shut this system down.

Hello Anderson,

Thank you for taking the time to speak with us.

We understand the dispute process can take some time. Your claim is being investigated on your behalf within the timeframe listed in the Terms and Conditions of your card. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

For additional questions or concerns, please email social@netspend.com.

Netspend expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Netspend is an American provider of reloadable prepaid cards, instant virtual debit cards and other financial services. Netspend has more than 70,000 distribution locations and 130,000 places to reload cards.

• Prepaid cards: Netspend offers prepaid Visa and MasterCard accounts for individuals and businesses. Netspend cardholders enjoy custom card designs, virtual card numbers and zero liability protection.

• Pricing and fees: Netspend card purchase fees are up to $9.95. Monthly fees vary from $0 to $9.95. There is a $2.50 fee to withdraw cash from an ATM.

• Purchase cushion: Instead of overdrafts, Netspend provides a purchase cushion that covers up to $10 if you are short on funds.

• Rewards: Earn cash back through the company’s Payback Rewards program.

• Corporate cards: Netspend has many prepaid card solutions for corporate clients that are useful for both employers and employees.

• Widely accepted: The company has more than 70,000 distribution locations across the country and 130,000 reload points where consumers can purchase and reload their prepaid cards. These include retailers, convenience stores, grocery stores, check cashers, pharmacies and tax preparers.

• Best for: Those who can’t get a traditional bank account but need to make purchases and pay their bills. Also, these cards can be used by companies who want to use prepaid cards to fund a variety of situations, such as paying an employee’s bonus or managing employee expenses.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor