Consumer Reviews and Complaints

• 3 stars44
  • 2 stars41
  • 1 stars223
    22%

NetSpend is a leading provider of reloadable prepaid debit cards in the U.S. Our mission is to empower the millions of folks who don’t want or don’t have a traditional bank account. NetSpend offers more than a piece of plastic with numbers on it. With a NetSpend card, our cardholders get a bank-issued, FDIC-insured account that’s complete with fraud protection and global acceptance. Cardholders can even use unique virtual accounts for safe online shopping. NetSpend gives cardholders the convenience of loading cash at more than 130,000 locations in the U.S., and the peace of mind that comes with getting paid faster with direct deposit. If you already have a NetSpend card, “Thank you!”

I had an IRS problem and was having difficulty opening a bank account, and they referred me to NetSpend. Anytime that I've called with an issue or a problem, like when someone was taking money out of my account, they clarified it, corrected it and there was no issue with it. They've been fairly helpful. The only issue I have is that they're a lot more expensive than a regular bank account to use. I'm also a little taken aback with the fact that like my rent check, I have to hit an ATM three times and that's like a $13.50 process just to withdraw enough money because I don't have checks or anything through them.

Hello Katyoon,

Thank you for your feedback! We are excited to hear that you are very happy with our card. We strive to create features and tools that will benefit our valued customers. Your positive feedback also helps us to recognize the work that we are doing well.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2016

Great rate and encourage me to save.

I chose NetSpend over ten years ago. There wasn't any other prepaid debit card provider when I did it. I got five other people signed up with them because it's good for getting our money and easy to use. They've also got the website where I can do all kinds of stuff - I go there all the time. However, I don't like their customer service because to get to them, you have to go through all kinds of stuff. It's really bad that I thought about changing because of it.

Resolution In Progress

I had a person who was staying with me and she was constantly stealing my NetSpend card. I had to constantly keep ordering a card. But I never got reimbursed for some of the transactions that she made. I was receiving almost $1500 monthly through this card, and some of my stuff I disputed with NetSpend, I never received anything back. The SSI payments were sent back to NetSpend. My rent got behind because NetSpend closed my account and then notified me right away. They closed my account because it kept getting overdrawn. So my money stayed floating around in the system for four weeks. I had the worst experience with NetSpend and I would never recommend them.

Resolution In Progress

I got a NetSpend card through a truck stop a long time ago. However I had $585 taken out of my account through an account-to-account transfer that was unauthorized. I called NetSpend to dispute it and also filed a police report. NetSpend would not let me speak to any type of supervisors or anyone in their fraud department. They would not even communicate with the police detective that was trying to get the information from them. When I call them and somebody answers the phone, the only type of communication they have with the supervisors or the fraud department is through email. They have no way to transfer the phone calls to them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NetSpend?

Resolution In Progress

Years ago, NetSpend was the only one that was doing direct deposit two days earlier for my payroll than others. I’m able to pay my bills sooner and faster with them. It hasn’t been all that great with the representative though. I had to call them quite a few times. In one instance they were knowledgeable and in another instance where they were giving me policies and procedures as far as how they changed, I didn’t get a notification in the mail so I was upset about that.

Hello Sarah,

Thank you for your feedback. We regret to hear about the issues you experienced with your account. If there is anything we can do to assist you, please feel free to contact us at social@netspend.com.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2016

I WISH I COULD GIVE THIS ZERO STARS!!! Netspend has the WORST customer service ever. I have never been so DISRESPECTED in my entire life. First they block my account for "fraud" and tell me that they always block everyone's new account at first, and that everyone has to send in copies of their license and ss card and a utility bill, well, my husband purchased a card at the same time and didn't have to jump through these hoops! Thought they already verified who I am when I went and purchased the card at the store!!!

After talking to several different reps, I've gotten a different story every single time. The latest today from one rep was that my account was no longer locked, BECAUSE I SENT them the documents they requested, and then he hung up on me. When I called back I was told that my account was locked! When I asked to speak to a supervisor she said "sure, but you're gonna get told the same thing" and clicked me onto hold before I could respond. I am a small business owner, and will be spending my time I could have been working, but now can't because of this card issue, on writing reviews everywhere that I can!!!

Resolution In Progress

I received my tax return in March using NetSpend. I called to activate card. There was a block on it. So I called customer service, they said to send my id & social sec, and mail. Sent it. Denied. I cancelled my account so they could just send my check. 5 months later still no check. This is robbery... This is criminal. Customer service just tell you they want to get you off the phone. Don't use this company.

The last time I spoke to a representative which was yesterday I got a really rude customer assistance. I had filed three disputes. One with Jamberry Nails where they took two 20.00 dollar payments out one on one day and the other two days later and I only ordered the first so this was fraud on their company. I was turned down on that dispute and have tried to get it straight and with no success. The other was from a fitness place I had never heard of and they had been withdrawing 40.00 a month out of my account and I had never even heard of the place. The purpose card credited me back one 40.00 dollar payment from Premier Fitness but have gotten no response on the others so I called yesterday to find out where it all stood and the lady was so rude and told me no other disputes have been filed. I just don't understand. I love my purpose card but would like to understand how this can happen.

Hello Aaron,

Thank you for your feedback. We regret to hear you have concerns with your fee schedule and Customer Service. We truly value our cardholders and aim to provide the maximum customer experience. Please feel free to contact us at social@netspend.com so we can rectify this situation.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2016

NetSpend is very lax on customer service. I've opted for other companies so I don't use them much anymore. Any money that goes through that account, I basically transfer away. They do provide a routing and an account number which allows me to have bank deposits like a payroll deposit, and that's the only thing that I use them for at this point. I don't use them for transactions. Their international fees are astronomical, and I spend a lot of time in Mexico because we have a business there. Also, many times, it took half an hour or an hour to get through to somebody. Then when I finally get to the place where I would normally talk to somebody, instead of me talking to somebody, they will have a message and offer to call me back, often times not calling back. They were pretty frustrating at times.

Resolution In Progress

All I went into the Ace Check Cashing for was a money order. Wound up having to sign up, fill out applications and so much just for the money order. They gave me a free $10 card for signing up. Turns out, I never got to use it because I took too long and two $5 maintenance fees were charged and when I tried to use the card it was unsuccessful and upon calling I learned of the maintenance fees which were not disclosed when the free money was given to me on the card. The fact that I was in a hurry and needed the money order, so I stayed in which turned into a car buying scenario of paperwork and the "so-called" reward was not a real reward at all. Deceit, dishonesty, and a waste of time.

I have been a customer of NetSpend for more than 8 years. I am totally satisfied with all the services i.e. not having overdraft fees, being able to use the $10 overdraft money when my account is deposited, getting my money 2 days early with direct deposit, being notified via text when money goes in or comes out of my account, fast notification when a purchase is made, friendly & knowledgeable customer service staff, the monthly statements.

Resolution In Progress

I have been with NetSpend for 16 years. And NetSpend has never let me down. I have never had a problem. My deposit is always there on time. What I like about NetSpend is the text messages that I get every time my card has been used and if I have to call they have a very policy they make sure that you are you. NetSpend has help me for the last 16 years. Keeping my family and my information safe.

It was easy to get started with NetSpend. With it, I can look at everything on my phone as it give me alerts when I get something in my account. It gives me my VA disability early too. I like that in a couple of days, I can get a heads up on it. Mostly all my checks get direct deposited there. One time, I went to a bad ATM and it took the money out. I talked to an agent and they got everything so that I could get the money back in a couple of days. Overall, it's been good to me that's why I've been with them for so many years.

Hello Antonio,

We appreciate your feedback! We truly value our cardholder's and aim to provide the maximum customer experience. Your positive feedback also helps us to recognize the work that we are doing well.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2016

Great bank. Savings account is really awesome.

My experience with NetSpend has been fantastic. Initially, I didn't have an account and it was convenient where I was living so I decided to try it. I've been using them since 2007. They've always been cordial and they texted constantly with me. 95% of the time, their reps have always been very accommodating. In fact, I never left without feeling that they've given their best to find out all the information that I asked.

Nothing but positive experience with NetSpend. Customer Service is always friendly and resolve my problems quickly. Overdraft protection is a great option. NetSpend is an overall great card and I've had a few. This one's the best.

Hi Elisabeth,
Thank you for the feedback! We strive to create features and tools that will benefit our valued customers.

NetSpend

Original review: Aug. 10, 2016

I was going through a divorce and my children and I needed to have access to our money fast and in a different way rather than the bank. My kids and I also wanted to separate their money so their father wouldn't find out about it. NetSpend was able to help us with that and we were able to do transfers. I also get my money two days before I got paid. So I have the majority of my money going into that program. I use both reload locations and direct deposit options, and it's a lot easier than a bank. It depends on the situation but mostly I use direct deposit. Reload locations were more prevalent before and there was this fantastic opportunity to reload money at a SuperAmerica gas station where one time they would give points. So I would reload money onto my card and my kid's card and I would get points for gas. But now I cannot do that.

I have to buy the reload packages or buy a totally new card. But reload packages are non-existent at certain locations even at a Target or at a convenience store. So when I was trying to load on my phone one time, there was no reload package and I had to buy a totally new card. It got so confused and I had to be on the phone for hours. It was very difficult but once I got a customer service representative, they're very good. Another thing is that because I do direct deposit, I was able to go over five bucks on my account. Now, they don't let me do that. And when I call, they could not give me an explanation. Other than that, I would recommend NetSpend. They have saved me so many times and I don't have to deal with the bank. It tells me when I have and don't have money and I would prefer paying most of my bills through them.

Resolution In Progress

I am 17 years old and am trying to buy things for college next year, most off of Amazon. I went to find an Amazon gift card and they don't sell them at the Walmart I go to. I then bought a Visa prepaid card. No problem there. Then I went home placed the order online. I went the next morning to check the order and it says my payment method was not accepted. I was then on the phone with NetSpend for two hours. I was actually hung up on by the automated phone... Really? I am still trying to set everything up. I am never buying a NetSpend card (And I realize that I need someone on the card with me, that was partly the reason I was on the phone for 2 hours).

Hello Michael,

Thank you for the 5 star rating! We are excited to hear that you are very happy with our services. We truly value our cardholder's and aim to provide the maximum customer experience.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2016

I called a couple of prepaid debit card providers first and NetSpend is the only one where if you pay the $5 a month, you can use your card as much as you want. I liked that because I didn't want to spend $1 every time I did a credit or 50 cents every time I did a debit. So I gave it a try and I've been pretty satisfied with it. I love the mobile check load. My tax return goes right on there so that's lovely.

Then I had one instance where a fake person called and said that they were collecting money and I set up a payment with them. But instead of taking a payment, they drained my account. I called NetSpend and they got me my money back so that was cool. I also love the direct deposit. I do it right where I work so that's easy. I just did it right through my work and they loaded it with Western Union. I'm talking my sister and her boyfriend into doing the same thing right now because he needs to set up direct deposit. I would never use anybody but NetSpend.

Quite happy with service since I got the card some years ago. Customer Service is always friendly and helpful. Never had a problem that they could not solve within a few minutes.

Resolution In Progress

Overall customer service is extremely poor.

I love my NetSpend card. I have my check deposited on it, and I get paid two days faster than everyone else that doesn't have one of these cards. I love my card, very happy with it and the customer service representatives are very helpful with any issues.

Resolution In Progress

When I applied for the NetSpend card online the web form stated clearly that there would be no credit check, however when I attempted to activate it online I had to call a phone number, answer a bunch of questions related to my name and address and could still not get the card activated. At this point I realized that because I have no credit history NetSpend could not verify my address through the credit reporting agencies, so they do, in fact, do a credit check, regardless of whether or not it is a factor in approving a particular account.

The phone representative cited some government requirement that he refused to cite and told me that I must send in documents to verify my address. I firmly believe that the phone representative lied to me when I informed him that I knew about the credit check and I don't believe that it is ethical for NetSpend and their representatives to make false claims. If they will lie about doing a credit check, even for address verification, what else will they lie about?

I found out that I could get my disability check direct deposit within two to three days earlier from NetSpend than the bank normally lets us have it. I liked the convenience. I've been with NetSpend for almost two years and I love it. They keep me updated on text and it keeps me apprised of my balance when something has cleared my account. My card wouldn't clear at a store once, and we came to find out that someone had tried to make an unauthorized EVT or ACH off my card. So luckily I had a second NetSpend card and we switched it over and I was able to make my purchase. They took care of it and within 10 minutes, I was off the phone and back to the checkout lane and off with my purchase. I also tried doing the new thing where I could take the picture of the check and get it put into my account. I'm highly happy and satisfied with NetSpend and I have recommended them to several people and my family and friends.

So far, so good! My card had been accepted everywhere. It's easy to load and the thing I LOVE the most is that as soon as ANY activity is on my card, I get a text immediately, telling my remaining balance and where my last purchase was made! That is my favorite feature!!!

After the nightmare with Green Dot, NetSpend was easy to activate. Actually got to talk to a real person. A click on the website shows a place close by to load for just 2 dollars.

I got tired of banks, fees and overdrafts so I contacted NetSpend. They make it easy for me to check my account to see what's posted and pending, and spend what's in the card. Most of the time, I have good interactions with their reps but I've had a bad one when I kept on getting the same person over and over again and being left on hold when I asked to speak to a manager or a supervisor. He hung up a couple of times so I emailed the company and it took two days for them to respond. Also, when I sign into my account, it doesn't tell me where to go to get points when I'm spending.

Resolution In Progress

I use my NetSpend card for online shopping only and with one exception, I am very happy with the ease of use and the way my orders are processed. I did however, encounter a purchase that I had not made and am still waiting for a reply/refund. Apparently, I was to have mailed them some sort of paperwork. I did not understand that request due to my inability hear/understand the service representative. Other than that, the service has been excellent.

NetSpend has been a good experience for myself. Everything they have committed to, they have kept their word. I am pleased with this debit card, and would not replace it with another. Thank You.

NetSpend Company Profile