3.21/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Netspend is a leading provider of reloadable prepaid debit cards in the U.S. Our mission is to empower the millions of folks who don’t want or don’t have a traditional bank account. Netspend offers more than a piece of plastic with numbers on it. With a Netspend card, our cardholders get a bank-issued, FDIC-insured account that’s complete with fraud protection and global acceptance. Cardholders can even use unique virtual accounts for safe online shopping. Netspend gives cardholders the convenience of loading cash at more than 130,000 locations in the U.S., and the peace of mind that comes with getting paid faster with direct deposit. If you already have a Netspend card, “Thank you!”

Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 22, 2017

4176 Netspend Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I had a checking account but I wanted to cash my check faster. Somebody told me about NetSpend and I’ve been with them for years. NetSpend is great. It’s as good as any debit card from any bank and I pay my bills with my NetSpend card. I use the direct deposit and my social security checks go in there. I’ve talked to NetSpend reps on a few occasions and they’re very polite and helpful. I’ve had money taken out of my account by somebody who hacked into it and got my card number. I emailed NetSpend and they worked with me to get my money back. I also had other issues that NetSpend helped me with so I would highly recommend them to anyone. I got some people over to NetSpend through me or through someone that I told about.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I deposited money at the store when I first got the card. Went home to activate it and as soon as I did that I get a message saying I'm locked out of my account. I called customer service to asked what went wrong. They were very hard to understand and very rude and had bad attitudes and hung up on me. My card was active after that. Then I tried to make a direct deposit from another bank to the Netspend card. That didn't work. I got another message saying my account was locked out again, so I called and got the same results. Someone very rude with attitude and very hard to understand and they hung up on me again. They asked me a bunch of "Security questions” that I was never asked before so how would I or the people asking them know answer. I am now behind on paying my bills. I will never use this service again and will strongly recommend other to do the same.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I've had this card for almost two years now and use it for my direct deposit. For the last month I've noticed I no longer receive my deposits up to 2 days before my payday! The last payday I received the deposit late the night before and prior to that on my ACTUAL PAY DATE!!! It's frustrating when you call customer service to inquire and they try to brush it off on your 'payroll department' having not sent the deposit yet. What's more amusing is that I work directly with payroll and know it always processed (3) days ahead of our payday!!! If this company no longer offers 2 day early direct deposit PLEASE state this and UPDATE your website!! This is false advertisement and I'm truly ready to take my money back to Rushcard!!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Overdraft protection, I thought it was for me the account holder. But it actually for other's business that have access to your account. In the past if a company charge my account and there's no money in the account, they will receive their payments when the direct deposit showns. Now I'm getting overdraft fees from everybody. They say the overdraft for the account holder. That's a lie. They made 45$ in two weeks in fees. I'm looking for another's bank right now.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I've been a customer for 5+ years with Netspend. On Nov. 11 Comcast took an unauthorized payment of 225 dollar payment off of my card, and there was only 62 dollars on there. My first issue with that is how were they able to take that much and it wasn't that much on the card? I called Comcast first and was told to call my bank. I EXPLAINED to the rep that I had a negative checking balance, but I have 300 dollars in my savings and could I just use my card at the ATM to withdraw funds because I have bills that are due. I was informed that the only way to get the funds would be to transfer the to the.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Netspend?

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

Unfortunately I had my wallet stolen on Thursday, called to order a replacement that evening. The rep guaranteed I would have my card with all funds available on Saturday. LIES! He rushed the transition & gave inaccurate information. Ended up calling 5 times in 1 hour on Saturday, just for 5 different people tell me 5 different thing. Very unprofessional. Even the supervisors weren't on one accord. Closing my account monday. The quality of service is nonexistent. Completely unacceptable.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I started using NetSpend for my payroll almost two years ago. My work does paydays every other Friday. With NetSpend, I got my direct deposit every other Wednesday at exactly 10:11am (odd time, I know). 4 paychecks ago, I did not receive my paycheck at 10:11. So I got very worried. Instead, I got it around 4pm, which left me hungry all day, because I live paycheck to paycheck- to the exact day. The next paycheck, I did not receive at 10:11am, or at 4pm... I got it 8pm- which left me with no money for my electricity bill that was scheduled to be disconnected if there was no payment before 5pm. Last paycheck, I still had high hopes that I would get it at 10:11 and it was just a problem the company was dealing with, but no. I did not get it at 10:11, 4pm or 8pm... I got it Thursday morning at 4am.

There are millions of people in this world that live paycheck to paycheck and we cannot gamble with when we are going to get our paychecks. At first, I thought maybe my company was submitting their payroll later in the day, and that was causing the delay, but no. After ready numerous blogs online, this is happening nationwide to almost everyone. It’s so upsetting. And now, today is Wednesday, when I would normally get paid, and I have not been paid. When you call NetSpend customer care, they offer no answers. They take no Blame. And most recently, I had to order a new card for my husband because our puppy chewed his up. And when I called to reorder, I made it VERY CLEAR that the new card had to be the exact same card number, because we have all of our bills auto deducted from that card number, and they assured me it would be the same card number.

12 days later when we finally received the card- it was not the same card number. They have no customer care representatives that have English as their first language, all of their call centers are overseas. It makes it so difficult to feel like the person on the other end understands your needs. Oh, and I have a daily limit that I cannot change. So when I need to withdrawal $1k of MY MONEY for my rent, I can’t. I have to take out half and then the half the next day. I hate this company. Constant bad mistakes on their end.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I entered the wrong password for my online account, and got locked out. Called customer service, tried to straighten out password situation for online account. For some reason they had the wrong email address on file, but was not my fault. They would not unlock my account leaving me unable to pay my bills the following day. Customer service Representatives do not speak clear English. Very hard to understand. Extremely stressed out, as I have loaded this card and needed to pay bills and now cannot. Over their mistake. Also, loading the card with funds went from $3 per load to 395 without any prior notice.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

I purchased a Netspend card. They seemed alright, used it for about a month and decided that I would start making online purchases with it since it would be safer to use. Well I got ripped off for $500 on an online purchase where the merchandise just never showed up and I got scammed from a Chinese company. I filed a dispute with Netspend and they're denying the dispute and said that it would take over 6 months to get it figured out. I'm warning everybody do not use this Letty. I have other prepaid cards and disputes have been very straightforward and simple and usually take about 10 days. These Jokers are saying that it's going to take almost 6 months which is unacceptable what they're doing is planning on not paying my money back when I use their card as a safety net. Stay away from Netspend.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Everything's good with NetSpend. It would have been perfect if I have a $200 overdraft limit instead of just $100. But I've been paying my bills online with it and it saves me a lot of time. I have also gotten ten percent off the Starbucks coffee.

Netspend response
Dear Reimundo, Thanks again for your feedback! We are happy to have you as a customer.

Netspend

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

NetSpend saves a lot. I get my paycheck deposited on there and when I get my taxes done, I have taxes deposited on it as well. They only charge me $5 a month, which is cheaper than RushCard and everybody else. They have been helpful when I have problems, and they have refunded my money when I dispute transactions. Also, right now, I'm a single mother of two girls and I could pay bills over the phone, in the comfort of my home and still watch TV. I didn't know that until my job made me go direct deposit. It's just way better. However, I had one problem. Last year, I got money orders for at least $300 which was a payment to get my car fixed. I didn't want the receipt but NetSpend said I couldn’t get my money back because I purchased them getting the money order.

I would have to relocate my receipt but I still use my card because I want to leave a paper trail. They told me that I need to go to Cougars. I then went to Western Union and got the money order and went with them. When I called, I tried to put it in the dispute transaction more than once and I received the same thing in the email. They said I have to find my receipt that I could backtrack online. My car didn't get fixed and I don't have my money. I didn't have to go to Western Union or Cougars, I shouldn't have to. The money order wasn't stolen. I'm so pissed with NetSpend I'm going to switch over to somebody else.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I needed my money to come two days earlier so I can pay my bills a little sooner than usual and I appreciated Netspend for they gave it to me two days before. Plus, it was good that they really work towards fixing and handling the disputes I had. I also get a low overdraft when necessary as long as I know that I get to pay them back. My checks go directly on deposit, but I go to 7-Eleven and reload a lot and it’s been easy. I’m still in the process of waiting to get an answer with their team for I had to call multiple times because there was something on my account that kept attaching it and I was no longer with them for few months. They were allowed to withdraw money out of my account. Other than that, I like Netspend that I referred a few people some time ago.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I filed a dispute on Sept 28th and was told my 1st update would be on Oct 27th. I thought that was a little long in the 1st place because according to Reg-E I'm supposed to receive a provisional credit after 10 working days. So far nothing. I'm getting extremely irritated with this company. Somehow they think they are above the law. I'd really like some answers and I'd like my money back. This was a PayPal prepaid card.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I applied to get a Netspend visa card because of the mobile banking and the ability to cash my paycheck with my smartphone and load it on my Netspend card. I have had my card for over 2 months and have never been able to use this feature. I have called Netspend customer support and emailed them. I was given INGO customer support number to call to get help as it keeps telling me they are unable to verify me. The INGO number is USELESS. It sends you back to call the same number and you never are able TO TALK TO A HUMAN BEING. This is the reason I got rid of my Green Dot card. If I have problems I want to be able to talk to a human and get the matter resolved. IT WON'T HAPPEN WITH NETSPEND OR INGO. 2 months later I have decided I will go with a different company and different card. For the money we spend on fees for this Netspend INGO BANKING card they should be able to hire a human being to fix their problems. Don't waste your time or effort with Netspend just find a better card with great customer service.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

NetSpend can be used like a regular banking card and we have to keep track of what we spend, but it’s more efficient than the traditional banks in many ways. Sometimes the direct deposits come sooner and that comes in handy. If there’s a holiday, we don’t have to worry about a delay. With the banks, sometimes our direct deposit will come two or three days later. NetSpend is just as efficient to be able to pay stuff, use as a debit card or pay our bills online.

Netspend response

Hello Evelyn, We are excited to hear that we are able to assist you with all your banking needs. We strive to make it easy for our customers to manage their funds anywhere with ease. Your feedback also helps us to recognize the work that we are doing well. Thank you! - Netspend

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

DON'T GET THIS CARD!!! I got this so that I can more safely shop online and didn't read much into it, my bad. In the last month I have gotten $64 in fees, just for using the card. That doesn't even include the $3.95 reload fees. So I have probably spent around $100 in one month, just in fees. I would have been better off keeping my money in my bank and risking fraud. I could overdraft my bank account 4 times and have less fees than this stupid card. I am a reviewer and will be posting my review everywhere to warn people about this scam to steal your money.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

No one speaks English and my direct deposit is not in. They claim to be receiving end only. But never have answers to any questions and if they do you have to have the agent repeat it several times. My money is hard earned. I don't like to have it held up. Pissed off to the fullest.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I bought one of their debit cards and loaded with $325. Then I went online and created an account and put my daughter's information in because the card was going to be a gift for her on her 16th birthday. I accidentally put the wrong birth year in and when I called to try to get the card activated they refuse to help me because I wasn't the primary card holder. So then I had my fifteen-year-old daughter call them. She provided them with all of the information and they said they didn't believe her and refuse to activate the card. I am now out $325 because not only can I not activate the card but I can't get a refund because they insist that either myself or my daughter are the proper owners of the account. Both of the representatives that we spoke to barely spoke English.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I get paid Wednesday night at 12 am. It’s now 6:22 am and still no deposit. I have bills to pay. It sucks. Customer service isn’t open until 9 am my time!!! I JUST activated this card for my part time job payroll. Horrible.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I have had direct deposit thru Netspend for almost a year now. My paychecks have always been on my card by midnight (2 days early - Wednesday night). It is now 4:33 a.m. & still have no $$. My co-worker got her $$ at 10:30 p.m. last night. Why haven't I got mine yet?

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

NetSpend was the best one to meet my needs. It's made managing my finances a lot easier and it is very convenient to use in paying for things online. When I call them for anything, they're very fast in getting back to me if there's a problem. And when somebody tries to use my card, they always contact me. They have been great and really respectful. NetSpend is the best card around for prepaid debit.

Hello Karen,

Thank you for sharing your Netspend experience. We are excited to hear that you are happy with our services.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

ATM recently on 9/25/17 took my money when I was trying to withdraw money. I went to the bank & they said I had to contact NetSpend. So I did & they have been giving me the run around since. I have to wait, wait, and wait. It's been a month now & I still haven't got my money back. They say I have to wait for a update which I have & still no money back on my card. I do not recommend this per pay card to anyone. This is nonsense to have to wait this long for $100. When you call they all say the same thing "wait for a update". Supervisor is no help either. Stick to the REAL banks not the per pay. When you have a problem you will not get the help you deserve.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

Never load money onto your card without making sure there are no discrepancies with old accounts. They will tell you they'll send a check to refund your money. When they shouldn't send you a card in the first place knowing you had an account before that's 4 years old with an overdraft. Thing is they said I had two accounts with the same overdraft amounts. That's really suspicious to me. Never will I get another Netspend card or refer anyone to use their cards.

Hello LaVet,

Thank you for sharing your experience. We regret to hear about what took place with your account.

We attempted to contact you in regards to this matter but the call was disconnected.

Please let us know the most convenient time for us to call you to resolve your concerns.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

I have 7 children going through a tragedy due to the worst hurricane in the nation, Hurricane Harvey. I received direct deposit from FEMA due to the disaster. It’s Sunday. We are hungry, no gas, no food. Netspend put a lock on my account closed it for no reason. I’m staying at a hotel with no address but yet they saying they want to mail out a check if I send it documents I have all the questions for security reasons. Still no help. I will be contacting the government/FEMA also my attorneys. I do not recommend anyone to deal with this company ever. It's all a scam after speaking with several others and reading other reviews with the same similarities.

Hello Brittney,

Thank you for sharing your experience. We regret to hear that you have concerns with your account.

We attempted to contact you in regards to your concerns but the call was disconnected. I also see that a member of our corporate office has been in contact with you regarding your account.

If you have any additional questions or concerns feel free to contact us at social@netspend.com.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

Netspend offers direct deposit up to 2 days before payday - I am so upset because throughout my entire experience, I have received this offer once. How inconvenient and today is my payday (6:15 am); I still have not seen my money yet. Also, the holds or pre-authorizations takes forever compared to other card companies to release or reverse (been almost two weeks now). I am very dissatisfied with the experience. The company should have the customer's personal interest in mind. I work hard for my money. I should have quick access to my money when I need it when it is supposed to be there! It's time to consider another company period!!!

Hello Michelle,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We regret to hear that our services do not meet your expectations.

We attempted to contact you at the phone number and e-mail address you provided but you were not available to speak with us at the time.

If there is anything we can do to improve your experience feel free to contact us at social@netspend.com.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I put hundreds of dollars on a Netspend card thinking it would be no problem to set up and use. It was a huge problem. Netspend had locked the card and I was unable to access my money on the card! They essentially stole hundreds of dollars from me. Whatever you do, NEVER I repeat NEVER BUY a NETSPEND PREPAID CARD, if you wish to use your own money.

Hello Ryan,

We attempted to contact you at the phone number provided but you were unavailable at the time. We would like the opportunity to rectify the situation.

Please contact us at social@netspend.com, so that we can further research your concerns.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

With NetSpend, I get paid two days earlier and I'm able manage my finances better by making more money. It's convenient for everything except Uber and Lyft or X, since they don't allow to use NetSpend card to do that. Apart from that, I've called them about some small questions and they've been awesome. I'll recommend NetSpend but not for Lyft and Uber users.

Hello Leroy,

Thank you for reaching out to us and sharing your Netspend experience. If you have any questions or concerns about product or services, feel free to contact us at social@netspend.com.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I like the way NetSpend does things. I get paid two days earlier and it's just great, so I decided to stick with them. My direct deposit is with them and that makes things a whole lot easier. I also appreciate what NetSpend did for me with that cable company case. I don't carry cash around much and always use the NetSpend card because they don't even take a day to clear, while some other debit cards take one to two weeks. Everything goes through it. They provide outstanding service.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

Setting up the direct deposit with NetSpend is easy, as with my company it’s easy to go in and put information for a direct deposit. I then am able to conveniently pay bills rather than go in and get money orders. However, NetSpend wants you to do everything online and some people aren’t internet savvy, so to call in and talk to a representative and then get charged $.50 is money poaching. There's also a language barrier when you call their reps sometimes so you have to ask them to repeat what they're saying multiple times.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

My husband and I have been in contact with Netspend's Reps & Supervisors regarding transferring of funds or difficulty in doing so. We were giving SEVERAL DIFFERENT REASONS from several different Reps and Supervisors. We were also spun back into the automated system and hung up on. Our issues are still unresolved. HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!!

Netspend Company Information