Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Hi Gregory,

Thank you for your positive feedback! We are excited to hear that you are very happy with our card. We strive to create features and tools that will benefit our valued customers. Your positive feedback also helps us to recognize the work that we are doing well.

Original review: May 11, 2017

I love the overdraft protection. It has always gave me a back piece to what I am missing between every paycheck. I always am happy with the staff that show nothing but great customer service everytime I call there. Very polite and sweet and do great.

I was in good standings with any banks. As a matter of fact none of them would deal with me, not even 1. NetSpend allowed me to open a savings account which accrues interest just like any other savings account. Thanks Netspend.

Hello Jay,

Thank you for your feedback! Your feedback also helps us to recognize areas of focus, we truly value our cardholder's and aim to provide the maximum customer experience.

Original review: May 10, 2017

The people are very courteous and helpful. I like the fact that I receive an alert every time I use the card even though I pay for that. I do find that you are very slow when it comes time to refund money.

I would like to tell you that I have had nothing BUT good things to say about Netspend card! I saw the ad on TV and a customer came into store and used her Netspend card. Since I was considering getting one I asked her about her experience and was it worth it. When she told me yes I called and got one for me. I have never had a bad experience in using my card. My paycheck has always been loaded at least a day before checks were actually released. This last pay period I received my check two days in advance which really helped me out! Thank you Netspend! Keep up the good work! I tell all my friends about Netspend!

Hello Teresa,

Thank you for your feedback! We are excited to hear that you are very happy with our services. Your positive feedback also helps us to recognize the work that we are doing well.

Original review: May 17, 2017

I absolutely love my PayPal prepaid Netspend card. I have my social security deposited on it every month and have had the best experience of any prepaid card. I love getting paid early and love the 10 dollar cushion allowed. The fees are reasonable and it is accepted everywhere. When I needed a solution for withdrawing more than 320 to a time they came up with it so that I could save on fees. Better than any bank acct. Thanks Netspend.

Hello Florida,

We appreciate your feedback! We truly value our cardholder's and aim to provide the maximum customer experience. Your positive feedback also helps us to recognize the work that we are doing well.

Original review: May 16, 2017

I've been a customer for many years and I love them. I highly recommend this company. Their service great. Sometimes it's hard to get a live person. I'm old school and like to talk to a person not a recording. If there is a way you can provide a customer service person for older people.

The dispute process takes too long. In February 2017, I had my tax refund deposited on my Netspend card. I've decided to check my balance online because I didn't have mobile alerts. To find out... someone had been stealing money off my card! I was so angry because I only use my card for emergencies. So I filed an dispute for the stolen money and also filed a police report! And it has been 3 weeks! Which I was told it would be 10 days in which I would get my money refunded! Netspend should protect their loyal customers better.

I feel that the prices on withdrawing money or paying for things is too high. Most people using one of these cards do not have credit due to income and we all pay more than a wealthy person. Makes it hard to survive in our world.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Netspend?

My son purchased the card at Wal-Mart on March 19, 2017. He paid the $25 in cash and received what he thought would be a PrePaid Visa Card to use on Amazon. Well, when the company asked for my SSN, I said No. I was told I would be issued a refund. Today is May 12, 2017 and no refund. Anyone who has ever tried to call them 1-866-387-7363, knows you rarely get a human and their phone system sticks you into the endless loop. When I did reach a human, she claims the check came via USPS 6 weeks. Oh, no tracking number though. I asked for a new check to be issued, she says, "No... Ask everyone in your home first and then call us back". Uhhhh, I'm the only adult in this home. Either way no check, no refund, $25 lost with this company.

Great service. I will continue to be a totally satisfied customer! My transition from my old debit card to my new debit card has been smooth with great online and voice support. My only concern is whether or not a chip is necessary to be compliant with new technology standards but I have several cards that have no chip so am no longer as concerned.

Doesn't allow transactions to be cancelled without making you jump through hoops and file a paper dispute. Ridiculous. Customer service was clueless and rude. Also, I ordered a replacement card 3+ months ago and it STILL hasn't arrived. Will be switching to a different service as soon as possible.

Friendly and very helpful customer service. Always willing to go above and beyond of what is expected. Always greeted with a smile and by first name. Maria the manager at the Oxnard location is always attentive and greets everyone as they walk in.

I am completely happy with my Netspend account. Any issues have been resolved quickly and fairly. I have recommended the card to several people. I have heard about a no fee card that provides a AAA like service to members. That would be sweet. I'm happy with what I have though. Thank you.

I bought a NetSpend card from a gas station a long while ago - and I'd lost it. It turned up several months later, only to find that the money I had put into the account was all gone due to "account maintenance." After a half hour on the phone I got my full amount back. After reactivating they sent me a new card in the mail which I activated, but it didn't work... so I put it on my desk and didn't touch it again. Then, over a month later I get another NetSpend card in the mail, also with my name on it. I go online to Netspend.com only to find that they had charged 12 bucks in account maintenance in the meantime. I just deactivated. But not without paying a $6 "account closing fee." Per my NetSpend agreement. Won't use them again.

Hi Michelle,

Thank you for the 5 star rating! We truly value our cardholder's and aim to provide the maximum customer experience. We are excited to hear that you are very happy with our card.

Original review: May 11, 2017

I've been with USAA Bank for 20 years. I needed a secondary banking, during my employment with Macy's. I opened a Netspend account. From the simplest question to the most complex account errors, Netspend has and continues to be the Best!

This is the second year I have had problems with this company and both times they have openly lied to me. Last year they froze my account, lied and said it was not their doing and only when I filed a formal complaint with the Federal Reserve did they backtrack and release my funds. This year, they say they have not received my refund from the IRS. A phone call to the IRS confirmed otherwise. They absolutely, positively received my refund and yet it is not on my account. I am currently in the process of filing yet another complaint.

Does no one see the thousands upon thousands of complaints against this company? Is it not painfully obvious that theft is a part of this company's business model? Had I not filed a formal complaint with the US Federal Reserve last year then I would have had my money stolen by this company. This is partly my fault for believing them when they corrected the issue and assured me that nothing like this would ever happen again. Trust me, I called the IRS and was 100% assured that they had received my refund. Do all of these complaints, even to gov't agencies, just fall on deaf ears? How many people does this company have to defraud before something gets done about it?

Hi Joanne,

Original review: May 11, 2017

I have had an account with Netspend for several years now and am absolutely satisfied with the service I receive. If I have any questions or concerns they give me great customer service and help to resolve any issues I have. It's a great service and will recommend them to anyone.

Netspend has a "refer a friend" thing where if you refer someone and they order, activate, and load at least $40, both you and the person referred gets $20. I followed all of these steps exactly how I was supposed to. However no bonus has been paid yet. I am being told that the person I referred did not enter the referral code although I was right there next to him and watched him do it. I also was getting emails throughout the process of him ordering the card. Then activating it and so on. In every email it said "you are this much closer to getting your bonus". So I know it was done right.

The worst part is that I have been a loyal customer for about 5 years now and in that time I have had my direct deposit always go through this account. I have not been able to speak with a real manager either. Anytime I call I unfortunately get the person who barely speaks English on top of everything. I am giving them another day in hopes they contact me and either make it right or HONESTLY show me why I don't qualify for this. Otherwise I am going to continue to spread the word. Mistakes happen... it's about how and if they are fixed that make a difference to me. I feel cheated...

I have had my NetSpend prepaid card for awhile, years. It's the only card I've ever used. I don't do the bank thing, so this has been quite convenient for my needs. I'm happy with my services, just wished the fees were a little less.

Hi John,

Thank you for the 5 star rating! We are excited to hear that you are very happy with our services and website. Your positive feedback also helps us to recognize the work that we are doing well.

Original review: May 11, 2017

They are always helpful and most importantly, they do NOT try and rip you off. They do what they say. I have had them for over 3 years. You can understand their customer support, and they even email you back within 24 hours. Their website is great also, especially if you send Western Union a lot.

I really enjoy your early direct deposit posts. The overdraft feature was also helpful. I will refer this company to my friends and family in the future. I would also like to have my photo picture on my debit card. The customer service department is also helpful and professional. Thank You Netspend!!!

I called on 04/24/17 dispute a 41.08 charge from Redbox. I was asked to email a dispute letter. I was given a email address. I did this while on the phone with CSR. I called today. Same as before when happened. "We never got it." When I pulled it from sent and read it the CSR said nothing he could do. They never got it so I will be using some other company. Your customer service is horrible. I do this for a living. You never say in so many words that the customer lied. Good luck. You folks need it.

I first heard NetSpend from a family member and decided to reach out to them for convenience. I like that I get paid two days quicker. Customer service was fine but the language barrier is a little difficult sometimes, trying to understand what they're saying. But for the most part, they seem professional and eager to help.

In February got in touch with Netspend about a future transaction from a scammer. Explained what happened and how these people work. Asked for new card to be issued and the one I was using canceled. Turned out first the card was kept active. The scammer was able to take 49.99 without my permission. Got in contact again, money was returned. Pending investigation which was awarded in scammers favor. None of this would have happened if my card was nuked in The first place. So lost money that was hard earned.

Hello Raymond,

Thank you for the 5 star rating! We are excited to hear that you are very happy with our services. We truly value our cardholder's and aim to provide the maximum customer experience.

Original review: May 10, 2017

I've been with NetSpend for about 13 years now. I must say that this is by far the best banking experience I have ever had! Chase, Bank of America and ALL others can't even come close to the features and excellent customer service that I received as a NetSpend customer. I have recommended it to many people and will always! NetSpend, keep up the great work!

Hello Robert,

Original review: May 10, 2017

I called about a bill charged to my account and it was explained very clear and pleasant. I love the service and the getting texts for charges. It's very helpful and I love getting my social security checks early. I've been with you guys for over 10 years and have enjoyed your services. I definitely have enjoyed the 10 dollar overdraft service and no fees.

Hello Stephanie,

Original review: May 10, 2017

I can't remember my number but I love NetSpend card and the representative. They are very polite. I will continue to use NetSpend card and I do recommend other and they have been signing up my daughter. I told her now she's a member and people on my job also. Thanks for a great service.

Hello Kim,

Original review: May 10, 2017

I enjoy my card but I live in Milwaukee, WI and very upset that there are no stores so I get charged a fee because there are no stores so have to use atm whenever I need money. I do like the lower plan fee and it is convenient to use at stores. I like that I can pay a few and not pay for every transaction.

My direct deposit has always been Wednesday's. Around 1:00 I call them and ask why is my direct deposit in my account. They of course blame my employer. Then I go to my payroll and of course they said it has been released. I called NetSpend back and of course after I let them know about my employer they decide to say yes Netspend is the problem. They are having issues with the direct deposit. Now I have my rent that is overdue and was to be paid today. I have overdraft fees as well. This sounds like RUSH Card all over again.

Hello Mark,

Thank you for your feedback! We are excited to hear that you are very happy with our card. We strive to create features and tools that will benefit our valued customers.

Original review: May 10, 2017

Western Union Netspend is awesome! Everyone should get one! I use mine for direct deposit, online purchasing, getting gas, at the store...anywhere. And for me, putting my cash on my card is safer than having cash. And the option to customize your card with a photo of your own makes the card itself the best! Thank you all at WU!

Hello Christopher,

Thank you for your feedback! Your positive feedback also helps us to recognize the work that we are doing well.

Original review: May 10, 2017

Netspend is always there to help on 2 occasion my card had been compromised. Netspend was on the investigation in a matter of sec. Friendly and helpful...awesome. Within 3 days I had a new card, my money returned and save without any hassle at all.

A month or so ago my debit card number was stolen somehow and used to make several purchase. The card has never been out of my possession but it just so happened to begin the day after I had called Skylight Banking to update my information which was required by them. All of the representatives I spoke with that Skylight were very helpful and ended up refunding the stolen non-approved purchases and I am very grateful to them. Then hopefully those who did steal my card number was arrested as I guess the purchases were made in Texas and I am in New York. Thank you again for the great service.

Hi Montana,

Thank you for the 5 star rating! We truly value our cardholders and aim to provide the maximum customer experience.

Original review: May 10, 2017

I am rating my NetSpend experience at a 5 out 5 stars because any time I have an issue there is always a polite person from this company willing to help me and my hold time is never very long. I highly recommend this method of banking to others. My online account is always up to date and never has any errors and it sends me alerts whenever I need them. Thank you NetSpend!!

Netspend Company Profile