4.2/5 (169 ratings)

About Netspend

Netspend offers prepaid debit cards from Visa or Mastercard with no activation fees and no minimum balance requirements. You can qualify for its services without a credit check. The company has multiple loading options, including by direct deposit, through your phone or at a reload station.

Pros

• No activation fee
  • No minimum balance requirement
  • No credit check

Cons

• Daily spending and withdrawal limits
  • Fees associated with transactions

Bottom Line

Netspend prepaid cards are easy to sign up for, and the company has no credit check and no activation fee for online orders. You pay fees monthly or per transaction, but the card doesn’t require a traditional bank account.

Top Netspend Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Netspend?

Verified

I've had Netspend for a while now and I love them. The app is amazing and I can get my paycheck up to two days earlier. Anytime I have any kind of questions, I can always reach th...

Verified

I'm happy to be with Netspend. I've been with them for years and I love it. In fact, I'm trying to get my mom and my sister to join it too. It's easy to use the reload locations a...

What is Netspend?

Netspend offers prepaid cards from Visa and Mastercard. These cards provide the convenience of a debit card without requiring a bank account. The company does not conduct credit checks, and the cards are a useful way to receive paychecks through direct deposit if you do not have a bank account. Direct deposit funds could be available on your card up to two days faster than a paper check.

When you sign up for the Netspend’s mobile app, you can check your account balance, send and receive money on the go, find the nearest reload location and check recent transactions. Netspend also features a rewards program and an interest-earning savings account.

Netspend’s services also let you transfer money from friends’ or family members’ accounts.

How does Netspend work?

Once you’ve signed up for a Netspend prepaid card, you receive your card within seven to 10 business days. There is no credit check, but you must verify your identity — the company limits usage on cards without verified identities.

Netspend sends transaction alerts to your phone so you know when you receive deposits, when transactions go through or get declined and when your balance is getting low. Netspend cards come with zero-liability fraud protection in case someone uses your card fraudulently. You can also enroll in a protection plan that covers overdrafts up to $10.

As long as you have funds in the account, you can use the card at any location that accepts Visa and Mastercard.

How much does Netspend cost?

Netspend does not charge an activation fee. When you load the card and begin using it, the company charges fees to your account. You can choose a monthly reduced rate plan or pay-as-you-go fee structure that charges per transaction.

Netspend charges a monthly rate of $9.95 or $1.50 per transaction. You can save on monthly fees by enrolling in direct deposit. Other fees for Netspend’s services include:

• ATM withdrawals: $2.50
  • ATM balance inquiries: 50 cents
  • Cash reloads: $3.95
  • Over-the-counter cash withdrawal fee: 2.75% of the total or $4.00, whichever is greater
  • Account-to-account transfers: $4.95 when done by an agent

There are no fees for direct deposit or paper check services if you use Netspend’s mobile app, and bill payment fees vary. If you do not use your card for 90 days, you will be charged a $5.95 inactivity fee.

Netspend FAQ

How long does it take to receive my Netspend card in the mail?
It takes seven to 10 business days to receive your Netspend card in the mail.
How do I get a Netspend card?
You can apply for a Netspend card online. You need to verify your identity, but there is no credit check required. The company asks you to provide your name, street address, date of birth and some additional personal information.
When will my direct deposit be available with Netspend?
When you enroll in direct deposit with your Netspend card, funds could be available up to two days earlier than a paper check.
How do I find my routing number and account number for Netspend?
Your routing and account numbers are available on your online Netspend account, by texting Anytime Alerts or by calling customer service.
What is the daily withdrawal limit for NetSpend?
The daily ATM withdrawal amount from Netspend is $940. You can withdraw up to $325 per transaction with a limit of six withdrawals in 24 hours.

Is Netspend legit?

Netspend prepaid cards are processed by Visa and Mastercard. While Netspend charges fees, its prepaid cards are available with no credit check. You do not need a bank account, but your card is eligible for direct deposits that can get you paid up to two days faster than a paper check. Netspend also offers extra features, such as a mobile app that lets you deposit paper checks by using your smartphone. If you don’t have time to get to the bank to cash or deposit checks, this convenience can help you pay bills on time.

Netspend Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Netspend?

Original review: Jan. 21, 2023

Netspend’s service was up and down. Sometimes my funds wouldn't come through like they said it would. It started out where my funds would be set up to where if my card was used, I would get a message on my phone that so much of my funds was used on my card and I will keep up with it that way. But somehow it changed and it stopped telling me when my card was used or when something was taken off of my card. I have to look on my phone to find out when something was used off my card and where. I liked Netspend the way it was at first. Even if I send my son into the store to use my card, before he would come out, I would know how much he used off my card, how much it was and everything. But it doesn't do that now.

Netspend was a perfect card. It was wonderful and I liked the way I used it. Even with the fees that came out on the end, that was okay with me. Then it started changing and I started just dealing with it. Sometimes, it's hard to talk to Netspend and to get to the right person to talk about it. It gets to where I’ll just say, "Forget it." I don't want to argue with them or bring up the situation.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2022

About 10 years ago, I was waiting on my check to come in on the 1st and I knew I had a little money in my account. I went to Carowinds to get my little change out so we can have a good time. When I saw what I saw, I was totally shocked. My money came a week in advance and that was the perfect day. I've been with Netspend ever since. That's my main bank.

I had a situation that was cleared up this week. It all started with me moving from North Carolina to Federal Way and I can no longer call Netspend from my phone. I have to go to somebody else's phone to call them. I can't just dial the number anymore. I asked them several times if they blocked me. That was an inconvenience because I had to take time on the phone that was someone else's. The other thing was my card no longer worked when I got to Federal Way. I called several times about that and was told I had no restrictions. But when I go to the ATM, I could not use my card. Come to find out the other day when I was preparing for the New Year that I have a new account number and a new routing number. That must have been the problem. All the times that I called, no one was able to see that in my account.

I had my direct deposit from Social Security. I waited until Wednesday and I still couldn't access it. The lady rep said I had no money in my account. But now my primary card works after I found out I had a new routing number. Basically, it's a new account but I'm using the same card. That does not make sense to me. I'm not complaining but that's been my problem for six months. Doesn't Netspend have a system that says they changed my account? I did not change my account. I've had the same routing number and account number for at least 10 years. I did call back and I told them what the problem was. Other than that, I refuse to let Netspend go. The other Tuesday morning, I got the check. If I have another problem with the account, I'm gonna check that routing number and account number.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2022

I have had Netspend for almost 20 years and I've never known anything about the difference between my Netspend and the All-Access. It's been offered to me several times, but I've turned it down because I don't know what the pros and cons are. I'm going to try. They're supposed to be sending me one. My Social Security from the government direct deposits it right into my Netspend, and I get it two days earlier. Plus, I've got what they call an Anytime Alerts, where every single thing I do or spend or deposit sends directly to my phone and I can see it right there in front of me. So, it’s very understandable. It was honest and it's been honest for this long. And there's been some other people that say I need to get a bank account. I don't want a bank account and I'm not gonna get one. I know Netspend is basically a bank account, but it's not the same. So, I will never change.

I'm very impressed with the customer support because when you first get them on the phone, they ask you to verify your information and your security code or question. If you want to go further such as get more information from a direct deposit and deeper into your account, then you go into some more indefinite questions for security and no one has that information but me. So they don't quote it to me. I tell them and they verify it. It's totally different and very helpful. I feel very comfortable and I can sleep at night knowing what's in my bank account. These days especially, I've checked that bank account on my phone almost every two hours.

I got kudos for customer service. They treat me very fair and they’ve never been dishonest. They’ve never raised their voice at me. There have been times where I've had fraud on my account. I don't care if it's $1 or $2. They watched that account and they would send me information immediately if I made that transaction or not. So, I know exactly what's going on and I can trust Netspend. They are already there and they know what they're doing. I've encouraged people to go with Netspend. They don't believe that's how good it is, but I know.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2022

Netspend is pretty good. If you do a transaction, you get a text within minutes telling you about it. I was able to catch a hack when it happened. I recently upgraded to the All Access Netspend and I haven't had any problems with it other than I made the mistake of doing the optional overdraft thing. So from three $1 charges, I was up to $73 in the hole. I stopped the optional overdraft thing and I'm doing it normal now, but I love it.

I can get in touch with somebody in Netspend and I can get things done that I needed to be done. But it's frustrating when you spend 20 or 30 minutes on hold and getting transferred to finally the level you need to be and talking to the person you need to talk to and then the call is dropped. They've got a couple of glitches in the system. When they go to verify, they say, “Well, I’ll transfer you so you can verify.” But it doesn't go to any other application thing. It starts the whole program over, and all of a sudden, they’re giving you a card number and you don't get that accomplished. The other day, I had to call them back four times. It took me about two hours to finally get to the level and accomplish what I was trying to do.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2022

I lost my card and I transferred money to another Netspend card. I had to pay my rent and my car, and when I tried to transfer more, they said I had reached my limit. I told the rep I needed them to transfer some of my money and the rep said no because my cap is $3,000 per month. I told her I got more than $3,000 worth of bills that I have to pay so I’m transferring money to another card and if I had known that, I would have just done a little bit everyday. But I transferred the amount, thinking I could pay my card and the light bill as well as the gas bill. Then, when that ran out, I had other bills that came through and I wasn’t able to pay them.

For almost three weeks, they put it in for another card and I was gonna get it on a certain date. I never got it. I had to pay $25 to get one expedited to me and by that time, I was two months behind on everything. Netspend should not put a limit. It’s my money. I should be able to get it when I want to. Also, I’m supposed to get paid two days early, which I don't. Netspend’s customer service rep said it’s because of whenever the job does. I get paid around Friday on most of my jobs and I should have my check on that Wednesday.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2023

I am very happy with the services I get at Netspend. Even when I was having an issue fixed immediately. I really liked my pink card but it isn't offered anymore. When someone took money out of my account, it was immediately shut down until a new card came in.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2023

The customer service is great. They gave me a new card. It's really nice to be able to go to any refill center and put money in it then and there. It's also really nice to be able to buy stuff on the internet and not have to worry about it being with my regular bank and bills. I definitely recommend it.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2023

Their app is user-friendly. I like it. The texts are great too. However, there are not a lot of locations. You have to go to different drugstores, Family Dollar or ACE Check Cashing. I also can't get my income tax check deposited into my account. They don't accept the income tax check for whatever reason.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2023

I like the two-day early pay and they're nice enough to let you go $10 over. The first time I did the reload was a week ago or so. I didn't realize it was done by Western Union. But it wasn't bad for 3.95. Netspend's call automation is really, really efficient. Netspend has been good. It's worked very well for me. But they should be almost like Capital One. They already have the funds deposited, so they should make available to folks prepaid, which would already be like a Netspend credit card for a specific limit of what their deposits are.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2023

I find using the Netspend card to be a useful method to make payments to business and has easy access reload locations. Thank you for all for your follow up emails and further information provided as to what other services are available.

Netspend Company Information