2.71/5
Based on 651 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Netspend is a leading provider of reloadable prepaid debit cards in the U.S. Our mission is to empower the millions of folks who don’t want or don’t have a traditional bank account. Netspend offers more than a piece of plastic with numbers on it. With a Netspend card, our cardholders get a bank-issued, FDIC-insured account that’s complete with fraud protection and global acceptance. Cardholders can even use unique virtual accounts for safe online shopping. Netspend gives cardholders the convenience of loading cash at more than 130,000 locations in the U.S., and the peace of mind that comes with getting paid faster with direct deposit. If you already have a Netspend card, “Thank you!”

Read More Read More
Last updated: April 27, 2018

4473 Netspend Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 25, 2018

I've had Netspend a long time ago and I stopped, and then I used them again because it was easy for me to get some of my money instead of putting certain checks on it that I receive. I have RushCard but it charges me every time I swipe my card versus if I have direct deposit. Netspend only charges a certain monthly fee and I'm able to check it constantly online. I get a text message that tells me what my balance is and what I've swiped. I've signed my Netspend card for bills like water and lights, or whatever I need to pay because I don't wanna use my other card. I see how much I have on my Netspend card and I'm gonna use it for all those bills. It's convenient and I have one reload location right down the street. I use the direct deposit but I also use the Netspend location because if I have to pay my card and I'm trying to pay more than one month, I would have to go into the store and make a withdrawal.

I've seen the other day that Netspend also has a point system where I go to a certain restaurant or something and I earn a point. But the only thing that I don't like is that the Netspend location charges us such a high fee just to withdraw our own money. If I put my money on this card and I need to take off $1,000, I'm paying $30. It feels like I'm getting a loan basically and I'm not. It's my money. I had to pay my mortgage and I'm already paying a monthly fee with Netspend and then for me to go withdraw my own money, it's an additional $30 or $40 every month. I feel like the fees are too high and they need to figure out something about them. Otherwise, the experience is great and I'll recommend them.

I called Netspend because I had an issue with my card and they had to send me out another one because I added my sister to my account. The rep sent me out an extra card and my sister's name on my account. A lot of people don't like the bank accounts today. Banks are inconvenient and they're not open all of the time. If you're trying to get your money and you don't have a checking account and you're tired of paying check-cashing fees, have your money loaded up to that Netspend card.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 24, 2018

NetSpend was pretty much the fastest way to get paid and it was easier than dealing with the bank. I manage it well, but it’s been the job lately that has caused a little bit of a delay. Otherwise, it works just fine. The fees are not high and I can have a checking and a savings account without going through different requests. Netspend is very convenient to use and I'd tell my friends to definitely use it.

Hi Sonja,

Thank you for the feedback! We are really happy you have had such a great experience with us!

Original review: April 24, 2018

They blocked my account without my permission. Then blocked me out my own account. Asked me to verify and I did and still didn’t send me my refund check once they closed my account. They stole $1700.00 from me. PLEASE I repeat please do not deal with these CROOKS. They will steal your money and make it very difficult for you to get it back. Complain and get a lawsuit. We need to get them shut down!!! They are going through legal troubles now for stealing from millions. Don’t worry. There will be no Netspend soon and they will have to refund us all back. It just a waiting process. Just stay strong and positive. - From another dissatisfied ex Netspend Customer. I wouldn’t recommend them to anyone. Wish I could give minus stars. They're horrible.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I’ve been a loyal customer of NetSpend for over 10 years but my experience with them was horrible. I’ve been trying to get a new card for about three months now. Until then, I have to keep buying temporary cards, which costs $10 a piece. They said I have to put so much money on the cards. I told them that they have all my money and I can't put money on those cards this time. And then they told me that they can't sell me the cards until I put money on them.

Also, every time I direct deposit here, I have to transfer from my direct deposit account over to my temporary account. So they charge me $4.99 every time to do that. They can’t tell me why I haven’t received a new card yet. When the customer service department can’t help me, they’ll hang up the phone on me. And when I ask to escalate the call to speak with a manager, they say, "Okay. Please hold on.” Then they put me back in the queue and I start all over again. Despite that, I have enjoyed the benefits that I got from NetSpend.

Original review: April 22, 2018

I have been using Netspend for just under a year. I was so pleased with the service at first up until now. I purchased a 280$ prepaid debit card on Friday. I had called prior to purchasing the card to close out any other active prepaid cards I had in my name to ensure there would be no problems activating the card. The customer service rep granted my request and said I would have no problems activating a new card. I went to CVS to purchase the card and once I followed the activation steps online I proceeded to go to the bank and they told me I had to call to verify my identity. I called and one of the security questions was “in what year did you purchase a Saturn”... I have never purchased a Saturn in my life. I've purchased 2 cars in my life - a Scion and a Ford Escape.

I tried explaining this to the lady on the other line and she grew increasingly nasty with me and told me my activation was rejected and that even if I got the security question correct she still would have rejected it. Then even hung up on me. Awful. I called the following morning and they told me in order to activate the card I would have to email them my drivers license - front and back, my social security front and back and proof of address but only certain documentations are accepted. I said plenty of times I didnt feel comfortable sending them this information for a prepaid card. Nonetheless I do have two children to feed and bills to pay so I complied with their requests.

They rejected the 2 proof of address documents I sent them. At this point I'm losing patience. I then proceeded to send them a third document (a 401k) which was sent a week ago (so it should have been accepted because one of the ridiculous requirements is that the document is within 30 days)... again - rejected. I am now waiting on their reply. All of this nonsense for a prepaid debit card. I'm so furious and livid at this point.

ALSO my father-in-law bought a prepaid debit card for 260$ - when activating it he put a typo when making his social (he's old and doesnt have the best eyesight). Immediately when we called he was locked out of his account, and they told him the same thing - that he would have to send the same documentations and within 6 hours we would get status on the approval of activation.

It was a no-brainer for him. No way was he sending this personal private information... and I dont blame him! So they told him tough luck AND "you cant return these cards or activate them with a different social". So basically he just took a loss and needless to say will never be using this service again. They have to figure out a better system. All of this crap for a prepaid debit card? Nevermind the .50 fee for checking your balance over the phone, etc; I think this will be my last timing giving Netspend any more business. Shame on you Netspend.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Netspend?

Original review: April 22, 2018

Netspend is awesome and I've experienced getting paid earlier through it. I also use it for direct deposit all the time and pay phone bills, but mostly it’s my spending card so I use it for food and when I got out. However, when I dealt with their team, it was a hit or miss. I had a pleasant experience with them but most recently, I didn’t have the greatest of experiences. When I ordered a new card, it went to my parents' house and when I asked them about it, they said they got the wrong address. I didn’t get it and then they sent me another one but it wasn’t the same card because I got the personalized one with the picture of me and my fiancé.

When I called back, they said that they don’t sell the card anymore so I got the Flare one now and I’m using that. But then when I went to my parent’s house, they said I have a new card so now I have it but I can’t use it because I have the Flare one so I kept the personalized one at work with me, and that experience left a bad taste in my mouth. But I talked to a couple of different people and the last person I talked to help me out a lot, and that was really nice. And if a friend of mine asks me about them, I’ll tell them I like it and it always helps getting paid early.

Hello Alyssa,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your experience. We regret to hear about your experience with ordering a replacement card and would like the opportunity to rectify the situation.

We understand that you have since then received your replacement card but going forward if you have trouble with Customer Care or any account concerns, feel free to contact us at social@netspend.com for further assistance.

Original review: April 21, 2018

Netspend. This company made me realize my unknown hate for them. First of all, how are you going to send a prepaid card with my name on it and send it to my address that I DID NOT DISCLOSE. I feel violated. No Netspend. No. However good of a bank you may have been, you just totally lost another potential consumer. This have better not cost me any income credit points. Disappointments, Utterly disgusted consumer.

Original review: April 19, 2018

NetSpend is a contractor of VISA. It is expensive to use. Expensive. A lot of hidden fee. If you want to pay a bill add another 2 dollars. That is after the $2.95 you pay at Kroger, they even charge .50 for the privilege to get your account and getting online for free. It's also difficult with no prompt, you call them with a question it is .50. The company is shorted live as I have had positive with others but will not buy this card again.

Netspend response

Hello Jeff, We understand your concern regarding the fees associated with your account. NetSpend charges fees so that our cardholder's can take advantage of the many services offered with our card. Please email us at social@netspend.com and we can go over available fee plans. Thanks, Bert

Original review: April 19, 2018

Do not give Netspend your Social Security Number, your Driver License, home address. This is too much private information for a card you can buy at Walmart. Netspend is not a Chase Bank. I only needed a temporary card for a short period of time and they required private information to get access to a card I put money on at Walmart. Do not make this mistake. Buy a gift card instead. This a was a lesson learned for me.

Netspend response

Hello Denise, Like other financial companies, we are required by our bank, as well as MasterCard and Visa associations, to be compliant with AML (Anti-Money Laundering) and BSA (Bank Secrecy Act) laws. Both laws require that all financial institutions verify the identity of each account holder. Please email us at social@netspend.com so we can resolve this issue for you. Thanks, Bert

Original review: April 19, 2018

I am very much concerned and perplexed. I have been with Netspend since 2007 (11 years) and I have ALWAYS faithfully received my Direct Deposit on Wednesdays at approximately 12:01 am. Of all days (today- 4/18/2018 at 4:43 am) when I honestly need this deposit - I DIDN'T RECEIVE IT. I started reading some others Netspend complaints and concerns about Direct Deposit - not being deposited two days earlier than payday as promised. I was shocked and very upset. What is going on? I definitely need answers. Normally on Thursday Mornings; I can expect my Direct Deposit to be in my Netspend Account. Here I sit at work (4/19/2018 @ 4:45 am) and I don't have my Payroll deposited into my Netspend Account. I need this money in my Netspend Account no later than 9:00 am EST on 4/19/2018. If things have changed regarding 2 day earlier Direct Deposit - please let me know. Thank you.

Hello Hodeaner,

Thank you for sharing your direct deposit concerns. We regret to hear that our services do not meet your expectations. A member of our Corporate Office attempted to reach out to you regarding your account but you were not available to take her call at the time.

We understand that you did not receive your deposit as early as expected. Unfortunately, as the recipient of your deposit, we do not have control over when it is sent to us. Rest assured we will always post your deposit as soon as it arrives and we apologize for any inconvenience.

Make sure you are signed up for our free Anytime Alerts, so we can text you once it’s here. If there is anything else we can do feel free to contact us at social@netspend.com.

Original review: April 19, 2018

One of the reasons why I initially set up my Netspend card was because they promised that I'd get my direct deposit from work sooner. For the first few years I was very satisfied: I would get my deposit every other Wednesday afternoon consistently while my co-workers had to wait until the following Friday. One things I've been noticing for a few years now is that the deposit started coming in later and later in the evening, and sometimes not until the following Thursday or Friday which defeats the purpose of why I signed up in the first place.

As I type it's Thursday at 12:14am EST and no sign of my deposit whatsoever. When you call customer support they tell you that your employer hasn't started the transaction yet, which I know isn't the case because I know that accounting deposits the money at the same time every two weeks. I don't understand what changed in their practices that causes this inconsistency, but it needs to change. It may not seem like a big deal to some reading this, but when I'm paying a monthly fee for certain services then that's what I expect to happen... CONSISTENTLY.

I like to pay bills on a certain schedule and it throws me off when I have no clue when my money will actually arrive. If you try to retrieve account balance over the phone when this happens they charge you (seriously?). I'm honestly thinking about switching to a conventional bank at this point. This doesn't seem to be worth the constant aggravation for me.

Hello Brenden,

Thank you for reaching out to us in regards to your experience with your Netspend account. After reviewing your account, our records show that a member of our Corporate Office reached out to you regarding your concerns, but you were not available to take her call.

We understand that you did not receive your deposit as early as expected. Unfortunately, as the recipient of your deposit, we do not have control over when it is sent to us.Rest assured we will always post your deposit as soon as it arrives and we apologize for any inconvenience.

Make sure you are signed up for our free Anytime Alerts, so we can text you once it’s here. If you have any additional questions or concerns feel free to contact us at social@netspend.com for further assistance.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I have the Western Union Netspend card. Overall, it's not bad. I get my direction deposit 2 days before my actual payday, which is great. There is no consistency as to what time, though, sometimes it's at 1:00 in the afternoon, sometimes not until 11:00 at night. Their customer service is absolute garbage though. Rude, can never give an explanation for anything, just keep repeating the same scripted response. Thankfully, I've only had to call a couple times. Be aware, if you pull money from the ATM, there is a fee on top of whatever the ATM charges, on average, it'll cost you $5-6 to pull money from an ATM. As long as you don't have to call and deal with the ridiculous customer service reps, it's a great card to have.

Hello Erika,

Thank you for providing feedback. We regret to hear about your experience with Customer Care.

After review of your account, our records show that a member of our Customer Experience Team attempted to reach you regarding your concerns but you were not available to take our call at the time.

We truly apologize for the inconvenience caused by our Customer Service Team and will be sure to further research the service that you experienced. Your feedback is important to us as they help identify where we need to improve. If there is anything else we can do feel free to contact us at social@netspend.com.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Signed up with Netspend prepaid card and gave my billing department the initial information available that came with my initial card just to find out that the Acct and Routing number that was needed for direct deposit was in the SECOND official card that I received. (The one with my name printed on it.) So after I called customer service and figured that part out, they then said my paycheck was pending and WILL be rejected and sent back to my employer. So of course after my check being rejected and sent back I will have to wait a couple more days, ON TOP of the 5 days that have passed, for my paycheck. Which my employer states they have STILL not received. Really annoying.

Hello Desirae,

Thank you for sharing your feedback and experience. We regret to hear that your direct deposit was returned.

After reviewing your account, our records show that a member of our Customer Experience Team attempted to contact you in regards to your concerns but you were not available to speak with us at the time.

Fee free to contact us at social@netspend.com for further assistance with your account concerns. Please also check the e-mail address on file for any correspondence from our Customer Experience Analyst.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I had a Russel Simmons debit card and that didn't go too well. That pushed me towards NetSpend, plus, I liked what they had to offer. I've been with NetSpend for a while now and with my card, I get my direct deposits about two days early or a day early. Their process is really cut and dry. I use NetSpend for everything and I barely keep cash on hand. It's all coming out of my NetSpend card. I use the atm frequently, as well. I had some issues a while back about some charges and they refunded me my money in a timely manner. Their people seemed to know their job.

A lot of people don't like dealing with out of state but I'm from Georgia while NetSpend's in Idaho and I haven't had any problem with them. So far, I'm loving NetSpend. In general, they're doing a great job, as far as I'm concerned and they're the best. Also, I'm a preferred customer, so they take care of the overdraft fee which allows me to have an extra amount over. But I've never gotten to that point and I just endure. Usually, when I'd get a paper check from time to time from somebody and I'd go to their bank to cash it, they'd always try to persuade me to open up an account with them. But I'd deny their offer and tell them that I'm with NetSpend and I'm very satisfied.

I would also refer anybody to NetSpend. In fact, I've referred them to one person. She's a friend of mine and she was looking for a bank account. I told her how good my experience was and she signed up. But somehow, things got crossed because I was supposed to get a $20 fee for referring a friend and she was supposed to get it also but it never came through for whatever reason. But we didn't pursue it. My granddaughter and wife have their NetSpend cards as well. My granddaughter's in her first year of college and I usually send her money from time to time. And rather than put it in the mail or in a card, I could always transfer it from my card to hers and it wouldn't cost me a thing.

Netspend response

Thank you for the feedback and you loyalty to Netspend!

Original review: April 17, 2018

I’ve been with NetSpend for some years now. I didn’t want to deal with the hassle of going through using the bank, and and I find debit cards easy to use. With it, I'm able to withdraw on my card and not spend all at one time. You pay one flat fee monthly if you choose to use it, like at any ATM or cashback. I use NetSpend all the time and it's very convenient. When I started off, it was hard to try to find places that reloaded it. Then as I started using it, I realized that more and more locations were starting to reload. I also have the direct deposit option and it was easy to set up.

If I have any problems as far as checking the balance, transferring or anything with the direct deposit, I can just call them and they answer the questions and take care of everything that I need for them to take care of. I would recommend it. I just spoke to my son and he’s trying to get into having NetSpend as well. So a lot of people that I know are starting to use NetSpend more often. It’s safe and secure, and nowadays, it’s the best way to go.

Hi Dorothy,
We are really happy our Card has worked so well for you!
Thank you for the feedback!

Netspend

Original review: April 16, 2018

I needed some way to get money on a card. I went with NetSpend and have had it for seven years. Using the card to make payments or do online purchasing worked out good. I wanna make sure my life insurance gets paid every month and I was able to do a setup where the payment for my life insurance is automatically taken out of my account every month. Also, using the Netspend card gets my money in faster. Instead of Friday, I get it on Wednesday.

I get text messages whenever I use my card and it lets me know what my balance is and when I get my automatic deposit from my government checks. It was easy to keep up with it. I can go online and have an account online too. And I can load money onto the card. I can also go to Walmart and they load the card right up there. But NetSpend charged a lot of fees. You have to pay a $5 monthly fee so you're not charged every time you use your card. I think it’s 50 cents or something every time you use the card. So you pay a monthly fee and that overwrites all that. You get cash back and then they won’t charge it.

NetSpend used to have good customer service. Now, you go through this teleprompter saying to press this and that, put the card number in, but you never can get to a customer service rep. It goes back to the original prompt. I had to call back three times and keep pressing numbers just to try to get a hold of somebody to talk to. It's ridiculous. I'm old and I can't take that stuff. I used to be a customer service rep. Customer service is the heart of any business. And if you don’t have good customer service, you don’t have a good business.

I recommended the card to my son and we were supposed to get $20 each for that, but we never got that. They said, "Well, we’ve sent some kind of link in his email and he never responded to it." But my son said he never got any link from NetSpend. He went in there, and he said he never got any link. And he signed up and they gave him an account to use the name and password. Then when he went to go sign in, it kept popping up saying, “Incorrect username or password.” Then, he couldn’t get a hold of anybody at customer service to get it fixed. So he canceled it. He said, “I’m not having anything to do with this card.” I'm not happy with NetSpend and got rid of it. I’m getting ready to open up an account here locally with the bank because they don’t charge.

Hi Linda,

Thank you for providing your feedback to us. I have reached out to your directly to address the Refer a Friend Credit issue you mentioned in your review.

Netspend

Original review: April 15, 2018

I've had a NetSpend card for five years and I ordered two new cards two months ago. They're one of the best prepaid cards out there 'cause of the two-day early deposit and the overdraft protection. You can also be a premier member where you don't pay the whole price a month. I use it for deposits and I usually deal in cash so it has made a huge difference in how I'm able to manage my finances. I have a couple of other cards and a bank account but I like NetSpend 'cause it's quick and easy. I keep mostly my money on NetSpend and if I do anything online, I use my NetSpend card. I also like that there's not that much fee for ATM withdrawals. And every time I've called, the representatives have answered my questions as well. I've had a good experience with NetSpend. They're doing a great job and I would tell others to try for a card.

Hi Ronell,

Thank you so much for providing your feedback! We are really happy that you have had such a great experience with us.

Netspend

Original review: April 14, 2018

Got a NetSpend card from my friends, in the amount of $130. This was in August of 2017. Well, when I went to activate the card just now, the number was "invalid" and I'm out $130.00. How NetSpend is allowed to operate their business is beyond me. I want the $130 that is owed to me.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 13, 2018

I have never written a review till now. This is hands down the worst company I have ever done business with EVER. They charge you for having and using the card. They charge you for taking money out! The app won't even let me log in and I had to scour the website just to check my balance. Oh that reminds me they charge you .50 cents every time you call and check your balance! And guess what happens when you try and contact this joke of a company, THE WEBSITE GOES DOWN. They should be embarrassed and ashamed on how they run this joke of a "company." This is the most idiotic, spit in my face, ** company. ** you everyone at Netspend, I am pulling out all of money tomorrow and not only not recommending this terrible app to people but I will go out of my way to warn everyone I know and even strangers about how you just help yourselves to our hard earned money. ** you.

Hello Angel,

Thank you for providing feedback about your experience. We regret to hear that our fee schedule does not meet your expectations. A member of our Customer Experience Team attempted to contact you in regards to your fee schedule concerns but you were not available to speak with us at the time.

Please keep in mind that you also can update or change your fee schedule online via your Online Account Center. This information can be found under the Terms & Conditions Tab. Feel free to contact us at social@netspend.com if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I tried to activate my card. I was speaking with a representative who didn't speak English who continuously asked me how to spell my name who continuously asked me what was my birthdate, my social, my address and then asked me how to spell my name again. Then she continued to ask me if I was going to use the card consistently. I said I wasn't sure yet. She said, "Unfortunately your card cannot be activated because you have not answered the questions right so you only have limited use to this card. You will need to send picture ID of who you are to have more access to the card." I said, "What do you mean? I have giving you all my personal information to verify who I am."

She continuously to tell me that my card will not be of use after I have already put my money on the card. I told her to forget it just refund me my money. She then said, "It would cost four dollars to deactivate the card." Then she said, "I'm sorry. It's actually five dollars to deactivate the card." Not only do they have my personal information but my money. This is a scam. They should be reviewed on all accounts and people should get their money back. I went on reviews for Netspend and found that no one was satisfied. Thousands of people lost out of money if not millions. I would expect with this being Consumer Affairs that this would come into further investigation. If not I will find state attorney general for the corporate office and file a complaint. Furthermore I am ripped off of my money.

Hello Caressa,

Thank you for sharing your experience. We regret to hear about what took place with your account.

After review of your account, our records show you are speaking with a member of our Customer Experience Team members regarding your concerns. If you have any additional questions or concerns feel free to contact us at social@netspend.com.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I had my card stolen and when I realized it was gone 600+ dollars was missing. I quickly called Netspend, reported my card stolen, and filed a dispute. Now here we are 2 months later I’m still without my money smh, but yet you're suppose to be protected by unauthorized use and FDIC insured lol. That’s a joke and every time I call they give me the runaround and read from a script. They always give me different answers every time I call.

Hello Tasha,

Thank you for reaching out to us in regards to your claim concerns. After review of your account, our records show that dispute claim 3992643 was created on 02/26/2018 and closed in your favor as of 04/12/2018. Feel free to contact us at social@netspend.com if you have any additional questions or concerns regarding your claim status.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I recently just opened my H-E-B Netspend account when I started my new job. I didn't have any issues in the beginning and thought it was great. Then yesterday, I go to deposit my paycheck and there's an error. The person at H-E-B said there was an error and suggested I call customer support. I call and speak with a female rep and her only suggestion after keeping me on a silent awkward hold was to try a different location. Ok, so I try a second location, same problem. The second male rep I spoke to told me to again try a different location and that I was trying to load too much money. I told him I've loaded more and that this was my second location, he kept telling me I was loading too much and that the locations I was going to just have issues on their side. I told him that the people in front of me had no issues loading their card so it wasn't the location.

After requesting to speak with a supervisor. I was told he already spoke with a supervisor and they would tell me the same thing. I asked to speak with them anyway and was hung up on. So before calling back for a 3rd time, I went to a 3rd location which also did not work. By then I figured it was the card itself and when I called back stated I need to know a different way to load the card that was all of the sudden defective (brand new card, no scratches). So I call for the 4th time and this time asked directly for supervisor. I again explained my issue and was told to try different location (that charges a fee to load).

By this time I'm upset because it would then be the 4th location, I kept him on the phone with me while I tried this 4th location and still an error. I asked what else could be done and was told I would be transferred somewhere else, a female answered, asked me to repeat the issue, was told I would be transferred again but instead hung up on. By this time it's been 2 hours, 4 locations, 5 representatives and still nothing. I call back again and the agent tells me I can try Western Union.

So here I go to the 5th location and guess what?!?! That didn't work either. I call back, speak to a female rep, was told she would order me a new card. That's great and all but I needed to put my paycheck in that day because bills would be coming out the next day. No one could understand the importance of loading my card that day nor could anyone give me any answers. I finally got fed up with being told they could order me a new card, go to a different location, or spend more money to get a new card which would still not help because the bills are set to auto pay. By the time I gave up it had been 3 hours, 7 or 8 reps, and 6 locations. I still can't load the card, I guess I'm waiting for my new one, and all my bills bounced. I am just completely alone in this and no one from this company could care less. Had I known this would be an issue, I would have never set up my information with this company.

Netspend response

We are sorry to hear about what took place with your account. Please contact us at social@netspend.com so that we can assist you with accessing your account. Thank you, Netspend

Original review: April 12, 2018

Before I discuss my dissatisfy experience with Netspend... I want to point out that I notice the company is selective with whom they respond to in these reviews... mostly to the positive feedback. The negative here and there... which leads me to believe you are aware of how crappy your services are. I've been a customer for 3 years now. I must admit that prior to April 9th I've had no complaints. I was notified by Netspend that a suspicious transaction had occurred on my account via text alerts. When I called they said 29.00 had been withdrawn from my account. As they're telling me this I'm checking my balance via text and website. My money was there. Nothing withdrawn. They asked if I would like to cancel my account. I declined because there had been no withdrawal. Two days later the same exact 29.00 was withdrawn. Hmmm. This raises suspicion.

How could they tell me money had been withdrawn two day prior to it actually happening? So I call again and asked for a replacement. OK they say it's shipped. I get a text saying they shut my card down... wtf? Um why? I am only paid through direct deposit. So how will I get paid? I call again. I noticed on my online account they have a card shipped. I asked Erick, one of your reps how long will the replacement take. The usual 7 to 10 but he states it should have already been delivered. OK cool. Check mail. No Card. Check next day... Still no card. OK so now I'm livid. I call again... This time it's Eloisa. She states a card has been delivered. I say no bueno. Here's where the bull crap begins. She states it will take 7 to 10 days. Wait? How? My card should have already arrived. OK so I have to wait another 10 days? So that's 20 right? Basically she reorders a card at that very moment. OK so now we play on my intelligence.

Instead of just admitting you shut down my card and did not order a replacement... You reorder one and make me wait 20 days instead of the 10. So now I'm pissed. I asked to talk to her supervisor. Eliosa is reluctant and tries to advert my request as much as possible. I was put on hold 4 times while she hurries to cover up the company's apparent foul up. She would never connect me to her supervisor and then completely shuts down my whole account. Can't use a card or social. So Now I'm extremely pissed. I call again. I ask what about my paycheck? I was told it gets sent back. Wow great. Isn't that unfortunate for me. So I have no friggin account, card, and not one piece of my hard earned money. You guys are a REAL gem. Reporting you to the BBB... BECAUSE SOMEHOW I BELIEVE THE WITHDRAWAL WAS DONE WITHIN YOUR COMPANY... Why else would it be this difficult to get my own damn money?

Netspend response

Hello Patrice, I apologize for any issues you have had processing card order. When a card holder reports and transaction that they did not do, representatives are required to cancel the card used, to protect the account. Please contact us at social@netspend.com and we can make sure this issue is resolved for you. Thanks, Bert

Original review: April 11, 2018

I was given a 50$ Netspend card as a gift while visiting the US. When I activated it via phone from Canada I was never informed that the expiry date on the card itself was now changed from 06/20 to 120 days from time of activation. Now I am going on vacation in the US and the card is no longer valid and what balance is on it has gone from 50$ to 20$ because of so called maintenance fees. Plus due to the fact that I live in Canada, there is nothing they can do for me. They basically stole my friends money and never gave me the opportunity to use the actual gift card. Sound a lot like theft.

Netspend response

Hello Trent, I apologize for any errors, but the Netspend card is not a gift card. Please email us at social@netspend.com and we can resolve this problem for you. Thanks, Bert

Original review: April 10, 2018

This is the worst pre-paid card I have ever had. In addition to going through all the rigamarole you have to go through to buy the card and add money, they make you go somewhere to scan in and send documents... even though you showed your documents at the checking desk. So I've got $150 on my card that I can't use on my temporary card and can't get a permanent card till I find a scanner and send documents that I already showed the cashier when I bought the damn thing. Ridiculous. Went to Wal-mart and Smith's grocery, bought a prepaid card and was able to use them both immediately as soon as I activated it. Do not recommend this card at all!

Netspend response

Hello Suzanne, I apologize for any difficulty you are experiencing with your Netspend account. We do require documentation to proceed with activating this account. Please email us at social@netspend.com and we will take care of this issue for you. Thanks, Bert

Original review: April 10, 2018

Highly disappointed. I'm a new customer with Netspend, I disputed some transactions on my account that I didn't make or authorize, I never received the card due to me being away at work for training. Its been a month and I only had 1 update in a month saying they received my documents. I call almost every day and it’s being investigated. Today I am suppose to have an update and I was told that I would have wait until 12 AM CST. I was recommended by a friend and to my surprise they have disappointed me. I trusted this company but I feel screwed over and played with.

Hello Samone,

We apologize for the inconvenience that you're experiencing with your disputes claim. Please email social@netspend.com and we will make sure this is addressed. Thank you, Violet

Original review: April 9, 2018

Ripoff. Somebody went into my account on the 6 so I call and stop the transaction. Also ask to cancel my card and send me a new one but no they don't cancel so on the 7 same people do it again. Now they tell me I got to wait up to 45 days and ten days for my card. Not fair. Someone gets in my account and I got to wait for my money. They are ripoffs. Don't deal with them. I believe Netspend has something to do with it now.

Original review: April 8, 2018

NetSpend pays out a few days ahead of time compared to other prepaid debit card providers. I've been with NetSpend for years now and they have been good every time I have to call them. The process of using the card to pay bills or make online purchases is good and I also utilize the direct deposit feature.

Hello Robin,

Thank you for the positive feedback. We are glad to hear that you are happy with our services.

Original review: April 6, 2018

My NetSpend card is a regular prepaid debit card but it has a PayPal brand on it and NetSpend authorizes this company as an authorized rep of the Bancorp Bank. Someone sent me this card as a gift. I got a bank account a couple of months ago but I’ve used it for years and I’ve turned it for bank. I have used this PayPal card more than I use my regular bank. I really enjoy the direct deposit and I get my direct deposit a day sooner than everyone else that I know that has a regular bank and that’s one of the best perks that I really like about it. I get text alerts every time my card is used so that’s really helpful. I really like the card because it’s easy to set up and I use it to make online purchases and pay bills.

NetSpend has a limited number of times that you can transfer funds from your savings account to your checking account. I like that with this PayPal card, I have an actual routing number that I can use and a bank account number if I need it. They allow five transfers online to my phone app but they want you to call in for the sixth transfer. But I didn’t have to wait very long when I had to call in. It’s easy to get someone on the phone, and that’s helpful. I also like that I can have more than one card associated with the account and I don’t have to have this one active card. But I wish that there were more ATMs to withdraw money from. It's a real hassle every time I have to withdraw money. I can’t find an ATM that partnered with this card where I’d get money out for free. For paying the plan fee and all the reload fees, I should have at least an ATM I can go to.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I had just moved and I didn't have a local account and I wanted to get a check cashed. I've been with Netspend since eight years ago and it's convenient. I always know exactly what's in there. Twice, they've caught fraudulent transactions on my account and called me. It turned out one was down in Florida and they were significant purchases that were trying to be made. And then, they sent me a new card and took care of all of the nonsense without me having to do anything. They keep an eye on it. In fact, I was eventually stopped from a transaction because I was not where I normally am. I had to call and verify that it was me doing that, which was okay.

With Netspend, I've had direct deposit with my employer until I got laid off a couple of months ago and I could get my check a good day earlier than the regular banks, which was nice. As far as managing my account, I know exactly how much I have all the time. I've only had to reload a couple of times, where I got a check from somewhere else that I just wanted to put on my account. I've been lucky because I've been nearby a place and it was very convenient and quick.

The only thing is there is a language barrier when I spoke to their customer service, which I know a lot of people and me included, can get very frustrated just trying to understand what they're saying. In my former company, we worked with vendors overseas so I was kind of used to it. I've made suggestions to them and they've been very receptive. Generally, they've been clear and I've been able to make myself clear. I have recommended Netspend and I'd tell friends to try it. I had never intended it to be my primary bank per se, but it's proven to be that just because I haven't had the reason to do anything different. There are no monthly fees. And there are yearly fees but it's still less expensive than one of the big banks. I've told other people who were moving to try Netspend if they need something just until they find what they're looking for.

Netspend expert review by Beverly Harzog

Netspend is an American provider of reloadable prepaid cards and other financial services. They have been in business since 1999 and work with more than 10 million consumers to make purchases and pay bills, according to their website. Netspend offers FDIC-insured Visa and MasterCard prepaid cards. This is important because not all prepaid cards offer FDIC insurance. But note that prepaid cards do not help you build credit even though you’ll see a Visa or MasterCard logo on the card. Visa and MasterCard are only the payment processors for the prepaid cards.

• Prepaid cards: Netspend offers prepaid cards for Americans who either don't have a traditional bank account, such as checking or savings, or who can’t get a decent credit card due to a poor credit history. These consumers are often referred to as “the underbanked” because they lack access to traditional banking relationships. With a prepaid card, consumers load their own money onto the card. The card can then be used to make purchases. For those who don’t have a bank account, this is especially helpful for making purchases online or when you need to pay bills.

• Costs: There is no cost to open the account. There are three purchase plan options to choose from, including a pay-as-you-go plan.

• Corporate cards: Netspend has many prepaid card solutions for corporate clients that are useful for both employers and employees.

• Widely accepted: The company has over 70,000 distribution locations across the country and 130,000 reload points where consumers can purchase and reload their prepaid cards. These include retailers, convenience stores, grocery stores, check cashers, pharmacies and tax preparers.

• Customer Support: If you need help, you can contact Netsxpend via email, snail mail or phone. If you decide to call, customer support is available seven days a week.

• Best for: Those who can’t get a traditional bank account but need to make purchases and pay their bills. Also, these cards can be used by companies who want to use prepaid cards to fund a variety of situations, such as paying an employee’s bonus or managing employee expenses.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog

Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Netspend Company Information