3.8/5 (1123 ratings)

About Venmo

Venmo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Venmo?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Venmo?

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

Excellent service with continuity. Quick turnaround from receiving to bank confirmation. Never a worry about being advised of receipt nor when transfer transpires. Doesn't matter how small the dollar value, nor the maximum amount allowed. Love that they require the notation as to purpose of transfer.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

To simply change my phone number I couldn't update on app or website, I called and was told I had to submit 5 second video of myself AND a photo I.D. I never will do business with businesses that transfer calls OR make absurd rules.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

I have been using Venmo for several years now. The entire process is very easy to send and receive money. Usually take a day or so to transfer money to my bank account once I receive it. Have used other services but Venmo is just better.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

Venmo is wonderful for sending money to friends and family. I used to send checks and they would have to cash them or if I send cash sometimes they wouldn't receive it. It's an instant transfer and so easy to use. I just can't imagine how hard that was to fit to endure the kind childhood in it be so alone.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

Got an email solicitation from PayPal to open a Venmo account and I'd get $10. But I never got the $10. I looked into the offer on the internet to see if it was a scam and turns out many others didn't get it, either. Not only that, but seems there are a lot of problems with funding and transfers, with bad customer service. So I never added funding info or used the account. I tried to close it but it said my account was frozen. I've spent so much time emailing and then an hour calling but they can't/won't help me. The support call center is just an answering service, basically. They can't do anything (and often don't respond to emails or send automated replies) and must send my problem to an "account specialist".

So this brand new account, with no activity and no funding, is "frozen" and can't be closed, needs a "case", and "investigation" in order to get it closed. Plus I had to send a photo of my ID to "verify" my account, which I have never heard of having to do that before. So I don't trust them and I want this account closed. I threatened to close my 20 yr old PayPal account over it, as PayPal owns Venmo and got me into this mess, and which I did end up closing today (with no "frozen" nonsense, was instant).

I won't do business with anyone (Venmo) who only has an answering service for support (and endless hold), or their parent company (PayPal), esp when it involves banks and money. If there is a problem, you need to be able to call and talk to someone who can fix it, like all other support I use (imagine if my bank was like this!). So beware and do an internet search before you open a Venmo account, like I should have done. As it is, I will have to keep wasting time and energy to get this Venmo account closed.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

Horrible experience trying to access my Venmo accounts and transfer money into my checking account. There are no live personnel help. Funds can be trapped in Venmo for months. Expensive to use as a business. As soon as I finally get the last of my funds transferred out, I am terminating VENMO forever!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

Venmo is pretty useless application. I could not transfer money from my bank to Venmo account due to this is additional service. I could not make payment with Bank transfer (listed in Venmo account) due to Venmo balance has a priority and you cannot use bank until you have money on Venmo balance. It even sounds ridiculous. I thought company wanted to make payments easy for people. Why do we need another pain in the **? Don't we have enough already? Easier to come back to checks then.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

I made a purchase in early June 2021 and used Venmo to pay for the purchase. Mistake! I got ripped off (my fault). Sent an email to Venmo's customer support and was told there was nothing I could do. Fine. Gave them the name of the individual on Venmo linked to the fraud and nothing happened. Looked today and the account is STILL active! Their basic response was: "Venmo is designed for payments between friends and people who trust each other. Avoid payments to people you don't know, especially if it involves a sale for goods and services (like event tickets and Craigslist items). These payments are potentially high risk, and you could lose your money without getting what you paid for. Venmo does not offer buyer or seller protection." They were NOT lying! They offer NO protection! Don't use VENMO!! They offer NO protection and apparently don't care if their site is being used to move money for scams.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

I used Venmo for at least 6 months. I was always sending money and there was never a fee for me. On the other end, to receive immediately, there's a stiff fee. When I had to start using my bank account to send funds directly, lost debit card, it went through half a dozen times, then started this "there was a problem with your payment. Try again later." I tried a million times over a 2 day period, same message. I contacted customer service in the chat link on the app. This method because it became apparent that a real person wasn't coming on the phone when I tried to call customer service.

The person I chatted with could not or would not tell me when my transactions would not go through. I tried multiple people and different amounts. Just rejected. The customer service person I talked to, Bernadette, told me that if this payment was very important to me that I should use another platform to send the money. It reminds me of PayPal, no customer service there either.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

My account has been locked for days with respect to a $16 transaction. I've contacted Venmo support four times for help. In addition to getting bounced around from agent to agent, each of the four times I've been given conflicting information and none of it has resolved the problem which seems like it should have a simple fix. I have enjoyed the convenience of using Venmo for several years but am now considering closing my account.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

I placed an order with Amazon then cancel the order within 3 hours on the same day. Amazon never charged my card however Venmo still shows a pending charge. Now 48 hours later telling me I have to wait 7 days. How do you wait 7 days for something to pin that ain't never been charged? Now I can't even move forward and I can't do what I need to do. This horrible.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2021

I was sent $600 via Venmo early in 2021. The first $500, $100 a month, went from my account to a stranger. Venmo's response after several complaints from me was that the company could find "no unauthorized activity" on my account. I would think $500 stolen from me would be an unauthorized activity. A Citi credit card's last four digits were listed on the five bad payments, but Venmo's people said the company had no idea where the money went. As an 80-year-old living on Social Security and a small pension, I need the money, but presumably Venmore needs it more!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

Awful. They locked me out of my account for reporting a transaction as unauthorized when really, it was simply Uber charging me for something they later refunded. In the meantime I was on chat with support, here's how that went: First chat: "Sorry, another team handles that, I'll transfer you." Second chat: "Sorry, that's actually the account security team, and they only do emails. No one is there right now so they'll get back to you tomorrow."

FIVE DAYS LATER they email me back after I keep emailing about the fact that I need my account unlocked and it never should have been locked to begin with. Then they tell me I need to go through some insane security protocol including uploading a valid ID and me *holding* the valid ID, two separate photos. All because they don't have the account security teams doing chats, and I had to wait four days longer than they initially told me I'd have to wait. The issue is now "resolved" but the person that last handled my case, "Roxy", refused to answer me after several attempts to get the name and phone number of a human being I could speak to about this awful, unnecessary experience. Use this app at your own risk - or, better yet, don't use it at all and find an alternative.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2021

Venmo decided to close my account as I have $350 in my account that they will not release. They said they can hold my money for $180 days. Never even heard of nothing like that. They say my account is closed but they won't let me have my money. I would not recommend Venmo to anybody.

Original review: July 17, 2021

I was trying to send money for a dining table but my transaction was being declined. First, it took 2 days to add the card to my account which required 2 separate calls to Customer Support and being on line for over an hour. My bank confirmed that there was no issues with my card on their end. Venmo customer support could not tell me why my transaction was being declined (they said they were not allowed to tell me). Every time they would just tell me to try again in a few hours. No luck 12 hours later. Save yourself the headache and use some other form of payment.

Original review: July 15, 2021

Venmo is trash. They locked my account for no reason. I have been trying for over a month of back and forth emails and calls and they are useless. They have a team that deals with locked accounts but I guess they are all just passing the issue off. Worst company I have ever dealt with.

Original review: July 8, 2021

My friend sent me $500 for some work I did for his company. He paid it through Venmo. What a nightmare to get it transferred to my Wells Fargo account. After numerous emails and a phone call--it is supposed to be solved. Next time I will insist on Zell--never Venmo!

Original review: July 5, 2021

I open an account in October with Venmo about to be a year. On July 2, 2021, I realize Venmo does not refund funds to cardholder's account. You have to create a ticket, dispute, or something to receive your refund. Unrealistic for customers having to go through such process with everything else going on in the world. Customer service tries to blame the merchant for the problem when clearly Venmo is pocketing cardholder's money. If you’re unaware of this process you will be out of your refund.

For over 12 days I was waiting for a refund from a purchase I made 06/20/21. I went to Dillards to exchange some shoes when learning they didn’t have them in the size. I request a refund as of today refund haven’t been deposit. Along with several other refunds. I asked around about this to the persons who introduced me to Venmo. She was unaware of this process and has open up many questions about her refunds for the past few years. Venmo has been keeping many cardholders refund if unaware it remains in their pockets and the cardholders are out of their money. I learned somehow customer service making excuses about this process as a dispute no way you should have to dispute a refund when it should be just deposit back to your account.

Seeking to find a way to avoid this process for cardholders and to retain all cardholders who has been victimized by this not receiving their refund. I been chatting with several representatives about this matter none has been able to resolve my Dillards issue over $300 purchase. Unable to speak to a live agent even during working hours what has this world come to. Look into refunds and file a dispute claim ticket etc to get your money.

Original review: July 1, 2021

Please be very careful with this company. A user (Erica **) sent me $30 (with a note saying she wanted 1/2 a stash). She then sent another note asking for the money back. I googled this type of activity, and many sites warn against sending unknown users money back. I therefore declined to sent money back. Venmo then took the money from my account without my permission, and gave this user the $30. Please beware of this user (Erica **), and please avoid Venmo as they do not respect your privacy or their own company policies.

Original review: June 11, 2021

I wanted an “instant” transfer which was for some reason unavailable. Regular transactions take 1-3 business days if they are in by 7 pm, almost always hitting the account the following day. My transaction when in late on a Monday which means it wouldn’t post till Tuesday - that’s fine, nothing happened Wednesday, nothing happened Thursday and nothing happened Friday. What Venmo fails to mention is not only do they need to clear it but supposedly my bank needs to be involved. Most of you reading this are familiar with immediacy of these transactions— you’re not gonna get it from Venmo. All in all I will have waited at least 9 days for a $50 transfer - am I angry? You have no doubt.

Original review: May 19, 2021

I was sent money for my son's prescription and was told to download Venmo app because it was supposed to be a good app and money is sent quickly to your account. 150 bucks was sent through venmo but only 70 cents and 83 cents was deposited into my bank account!! What a crooked company!!

Original review: May 13, 2021

Three years ago, my wife and I decided to open a credit union account for our minor autistic son, to help teach him about money management, and to allow him to establish a relationship with a financial institution. It's also a good place to deposit checks that friends and family give him on various occasions. The account has basically sat dormant (credit unions are usually fine with this) over the years, and when my wife recently signed in to get things ready to transfer over to him when he turns 18, she found out that someone had attempted to use his account with Venmo, starting in March of this year. My wife and I are both security professionals and technical consultants, and were shocked to see the familiar verification deposits and withdrawals, and three deposits.

After attempting to contact Venmo about the issue, we were directed to talk to our bank. Well, the bank account information is locked in a secure safe - no one but my wife has ever accessed the account - and none of us has interacted with Venmo. Likely? Someone flipped two digits when entering their account number, and the deposits started going into his account. But the question I keep asking Venmo is: why did you allow ANY interaction with m son's account without FIRST fully verifying the account is owned by the person who entered it into Venmo?

We shared a screenshot of the credit union account history with Venmo customer service, so they could see the partially redacted account number, and the verification deposits and withdrawals, and the deposit amounts, including all the transaction numbers. Venmo SHOULD have been able to see what the problem was, and corrected it, by removing my son's account number from the Venmo user's account. But they did not.

Venmo is likely violating banking laws by allowing someone to fraudulently (or accidentally?) interact with a bank account just by entering the wrong number (again, either intentionally or accidentally). This should never be allowed to happen. The credit union account is well-secured, has not been hacked, and all information is locked in a safe. We haven't written checks, or used the debit card. No possibility of a leak.

Why is Venmo so bad at customer service and security? Would absolutely give Venmo negative stars if I could. Venmo: get your act together. You've wasted a week of my family's time, cost us hundreds of dollars of lost opportunity, and now my son has to get a different account number, just because your security is so bad.

Original review: May 5, 2021

HORRIBLE HORRIBLE experience! DO NOT use! I sent funds to the wrong person and they want the address and phone number of the person I was supposed to send to...which I don’t have. They wont help me if I don’t have that information, nor will they help to reverse the payment that was sent to the wrong person. I don’t have the phone number of the other person or email address, just their Venmo username. Why do they need info on the person I was trying to send? What matters is the person the money was incorrectly sent. However it is their protocol. They told me they can’t help, So now I have lost my $50 and they won’t help. Poor customer experience and absolutely no support, 12 hour delays in response from support. Talk about stealing and a scam. Don’t use.

Original review: May 4, 2021

About a month ago, I created a Venmo account to sent money to a friend. That seemed to work okay. Yesterday that same friend sent me money for something else and I needed to add a bank account to retrieve that money. Venmo's website and App would not allow me to add a bank account. I tried from three different browsers and the App on three different devices. I get the same "Whoops! Something went wrong, try again." I called and emailed customer service and they could not help me resolve the issue. At this point I have money being held hostage by Venmo! EXTREMELY UPSET!

Original review: April 26, 2021

I tried to open a Venmo account but apparently someone else had opened one with my phone number already and they won't do anything to assist me. I've tried customer service numerous times and they say they need the person with that phone number to close the account, but I am the person with the phone number so of course it doesn't match the random person's bank account. I have tried to verify my number with them, but they are too incompetent to handle that function. Probably just as well since I see other bad reviews about them defrauding others of their money.

Original review: April 24, 2021

Do not use Venmo. Choose an app that actually offers you protection. They offer ZERO. I fell victim to a Venmo user that took me for $525. I was purchasing several items that I obviously never received. This same user has done this to multiple people and Venmo didn’t even close their page so I’m sure they will continue the scamming. Super disappointed that Venmo did nothing. Again choose another app to do business with. Do not use Venmo!

Original review: April 24, 2021

I received money legitimately and tried to transfer the funds into my bank and was told by Venmo it would be in my account on the 22nd. Yet now they decide to hold it longer claiming a 3rd party does the funds transfer. And of course I have to continue to wait on crooks to give me MY money.

Original review: April 23, 2021

A person I do not know and have never know was able to steal money from my checking account through Venmo. I have been on hold with customer service for over three hours because Venmo still has not resolved the issue. This is the worst customer service I have ever experienced.

Original review: April 6, 2021

Tried to get help making a payment from a well-funded bank account. Payment was declined but could not get answers as to why. I suspect it could’ve been due to an email change which I explained, or perhaps I made a request error. I never thought I would get answers such as, "We cannot tell you why your payment was declined. Try again." Which I did to no avail. Terrible chat service and by phone, got a similar non-answer by recorded message. A company has NO customer service if they can’t or won’t help with a problem. So I do not recommend Venmo. Chime or Skrill or any competitor should be used instead.

Original review: March 30, 2021

I have had my account for many years. My account was frozen without warning. Nobody would help when I called, chatted or emailed. They just kept telling me it was frozen and an account specialist is handling it and will get in touch with me. They asked for me to upload a copy of my DL. A month has gone by now and it's still frozen. I just received an email today stating they don't have any information on why or when it will be unfrozen. They also said THEY ARE KEEPING MY MONEY UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE!!!! I replied back to this email and am waiting. Such poor poor customer service and I can't believe they think it's ok to keep someone's money without a reason.

Venmo Company Information