3.8/5 (1206 ratings)

About Venmo

Venmo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Venmo?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Venmo?

Original review: March 3, 2021

They froze my account and when I asked them about the reason they told me they cannot provide any reason! The same thing happened to many of my friends. I just searched their hashtag on Twitter and was shocked by what I saw!

Original review: March 2, 2021

Venmo gives zero effort to help people scammed by other users. They are allowing other users to steal without any remorse for the complainant or reconciliation of the situation. They would rather be hands off than provide the proper customer service for their clients. Wouldn’t recommend until policies are changed.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

On August 2020,Venmo deactivated my Account and was holding funds I received via Direct Deposit. My Account was deactivated after being frozen for and now they say they will be holding funds for up to 180 days and I did raised this complaint on BBB and I agreed to wait for the 180 days hold period. On 02/03/2021 my 180 days hold period was over, but venmo support doesn't answer my emails and also they restricted logins for my account. Venmo support agent Ethan G. has replied me that "my funds will not be returned and any further emails or inquiries from me will be ignored". Then Venmo has stopped replying to any of my emails or ticket inquiry after their agent Ethan G. threatened me that my inquiries or emails will not be answered. I have sent more than 20 emails and submitted 3 support tickets. Venmo is holding $7970 of my funds.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

I decided to try Venmo App to make a payment which went well. Tried a second small payment however after speaking with paid individual we decided I pay via cash. So I cancelled the payment. A few days later I decided to make a larger payment of 1400.00 to someone. Well unbeknownst to me Venmo froze my account shortly after I added the 1400.00 to my account because I cancelled the previous transaction. added to my account approx. Jan 6th. They asked for DL and bank statement which I forwarded via email. It is now February 15, 2021 and I'm still getting the run-around about releasing my 1400.00. CAUTION: Use Venmo with great caution and try to only use for small amounts. They will freeze your account and try to keep or refuse to give back your money. I need my money sooo badly. I've pleaded with them to give me my money and still have not received.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

My identity was compromised last October. 7 fraudulent charges were made on my Venmo account in 5 mins to a vendor that doesn't exist on the internet and I've never heard of. The 7 transactions were for 20 dollars apiece all made in the same 5 mins. My phone binged 7 times to let me know I was making purchases in California and I live in DC, so I reported it immediately. Reported my venmo card or account as compromised. I got a new card and new account number set up and Venmo issued me temporary credit to cover the funds that were stolen.

Then 2 months later I got an email saying an investigation was done and that out of the 7 transactions, 3 were fraudulent. but 4 of them were authorized. So they will take the temporary credits they issued back. When I asked about the investigation they were rude, ugly, short, coy, and downright deceptive. They lied to me, ran me around, and just stopped responding. They never answered my question.

My question is just common sense. They investigated 7 transactions. All exactly the same. Same time. Same place. Same merchant, same fraudulent report. But the body that did the investigation ruled 2 different ways on the exact same thing. And when I emailed and called and asked how that is, they were coy, rude, short, and dismissive like I didn't have clue. I even told them, "If you explain this to me at all, I'll give you the money back and keep being a user." I use Venmo a lot, like a lot. I like the service. The 100 or so dollars is not the end of the world to me, but it's the common sense of the thing and the way I've been treated and handled when asking simple questions. They basically told me to go fly a kite. They don't have to explain anything. They don't want to and demanded I make funds available to them to recover the temporary credits they issued.

It's a hundred dollars in the balance, that's what this is over. I use this service daily, tons of movement on my account, I have a venmo card and use it at the store all the time, I really enjoy the service. But since they won't respond to me, there are plenty of other services just like them that I'll give my business too. This company doesn't give 2 cents about its users. It's shady, dishonest, and openly rude. That's my experience with them at least. My warning is don't be surprised if they steal from you. Because they want to, and will every opportunity they have.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2021

Bought an item and they sent me this as help. Contact local authorities for help with mediation. Really this is ridiculous. If you buy and sell online it better be between sisters and brother, mom, dad.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2021

I signed up for Venmo 3 months ago and made several transaction with no problems. Then on 1/16/2021 I took a payment of $120.00 only to find out that Venmo froze my account with no explanation. At the current time they have no phone support. Only email. I've been told repeatedly that they are not required to give me a reason and that they will hold my money for 180 days. When I complained about holding on to my money they deleted my account altogether. Again with no explanation. I also use Zelle and Cash App and have never had a problem or been treated like this. As a small business owner I understand the importance of good customer service and Venmo really drops the ball on this point. I recommend using another payment app. Any other payment app other than Venmo.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

I wanted to love this card but there are some significant drawbacks that I wish I had known before getting it.

1. No email or chat support, only phone support is available.
2. After making a payment it takes several days for available credit to be updated.
3. Account info is only available via the Venmo app. There is no website.
4. Because of #3, the account isn't supported by any financial apps (Mint, Quicken, Truebill, etc) regardless of which data provider is used for syncing accounts (Plaid, Finicity, etc.)

5. Apparently, there is a $10,000 cap on rewards for the 3% and 2% categories combined. Anything spent after $10,000 only gets 1% cashback.

If you don't care about any of those things then this card might be great for you. I've had no problems with the card and the experience has been good otherwise.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

I have received money easily but can't pay anyone. I clearly have plenty of money in my account and it says I have insufficient funds. I messed with it for a while but with other easy, foolproof methods like PayPal and Zelle, I'm not using Venmo anymore.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

I have made multiple attempts to contact customer service. They eventually respond via email but they do not actually read your complaint. Any hopes of a real person calling are zero. They offer canned responses but never get to the actual issue. God forbid there is an issue with a transfer, they assure you some assistance within 24 hours. They are handling your money transfers, that is unacceptable. They locked me out. I reported it and their answer, log on to get help. So bad, there are better options. Save yourself the agonizing frustration.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2020

Venmo froze my account for NO reason and stole $200 from me. They never gave me any explanation for what they did. I hate Venmo and will never recommend Venmo to anyone else. I like using Cash App and Paypal. They are safer than Venmo.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2020

I requested money from someone through the Venmo app and received an email saying that I had actually paid the person. I contacted Venmo customer service where I was told that the only way to have the funds transferred back to my account was to have the other party email Venmo Support with a refund request. The person so and Venmo won't return the money to my account. It turns out that the person I sent money to owed Venmo money, and he forwarded me an email Venmo sent him saying that money went towards his debt so it can't be returned.

Venmo not only ignored their own policy, but transferred the debt of another person to my account. I looked into how my request could've gone through as a payment and when retracing my steps on a friend's account, I found a really big issue with the design of the app. If you don't leave a comment when making a transaction, a pop-up up box comes up telling you to do so. The ok button in this box is directly over the Pay button. In explaining this to others many have cancelled both their Venmo and PayPal accounts. I do not have confidence that Venmo is a safe or credible company to trust money with, and it seems like I am not alone.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2020

I was talked into this app by landlord as that is her preferred method of payment. All was fine until after a big money transfer I decided to apply for their debit card so in the future I wouldn't have to wait 3 days for a transfer. Well I must have typed something in wrong because they flagged my account and froze it. So I called customer service. Well they are closed. So I got on chat with someone who said to email them because chat can't help.

3 weeks, 12 emails and 5 chat sessions later I am no closer to getting this resolved than I was on the first day. One of the chat girls said they needed verification and I should send my driver license and social security card. And bills with my address. I refused my social card but sent license. Now worried they can steal my identity. Because since there don't seem to be any real people there god knows who has my info. I keep getting the same stock email from them saying an account specialist will contact me within 2 business days. And then I get another of the same email directing me to read trouble shooting paragraphs. This is a horrible company. They are supposedly owned by PayPal who I have had a 15 year account with. It's absolutely nuts! And I can't even figure out how to close my account.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

Frauded after being a customer for several years, and then dispute was denied. My Venmo card was used after I visited a gas station. I placed a claim after dealing with the headache of customer service (including them adding in a charge into the claim after I mentioned was mine several times). Apparently my claims were denied over a month after submission. This was mainly due to the card being close to the address on file, and Venmo thinking the card was in my possession.

I originally thought the card was in my possession as I have a card that looks just like it. I realized that the card was not in my possession. Additionally, because the fraud happened close to my home - they listed that as one of the reasons my dispute was denied. That makes absolutely no sense. I need these reviewed again as I WILL NOT be paying for someone else's transactions. You've also literally done no investigation as to why there are charges at places I do not and have never visited (the largest amount coming from a barber shop for men that I DO NOT USE as I am a woman). You also didn't follow up with the merchant to see if they could look into camera's etc to see how this was happening. This was a very low level investigation and as a customer, I do not appreciate that. I went to the BBB and the company again denied my dispute. What a ridiculous company. Police report to follow for a real investigation.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2020

Venmo is the WORST! They have no customer service, and they can’t fix even the smallest issue. I sent my boyfriend $800 from the wrong payment method accidentally (a bank that I rarely use). I noticed immediately and tried to fix the issue.. There was nothing I could do. I had to tell that bank to stop payment because I was getting fees every time they tried to get the money. Support said they’d eventually stop and I’d be able to put in a second payment method once they stop payment went through (which sucks because you can never use that bank again on Venmo once you’ve put in stop payment)..

I put $800 in my Venmo balance, and they took it from there. Problem solved. Or so I thought... then they FLAGGED THE WRONG BANK! My WF bank which is the primary bank, that had the money, that never had an issue.. can’t be used now. Customer service’s answer is “Sorry, we can’t help. Use PayPal” Venmo is the most common used way to send money.. How is it that they can have zero support. How is it that they can’t easily just look at the account, and fix this?

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

Updated on 11/27/2020: After my initial review stating Venmo deducted $600 from my bank account and never refunded it after my canceled transaction, I received an email. They stated it was my bank's fault that the money had never been accepted and that they returned funds on October 30th. Which according to the first email I received November 3rd, I was to expect my money back within 1-5 business days. If the person initially reviewing my complaint stated on the 3rd of November to expect my money by the 6th, how is it Venmo is telling me my money was back into my account the 30th, with a trace #, which according to my bank doesn't exist. Venmo stated in their email it MUST be an error on my bank's side, stating they see this happen often with "smaller banks". I am a Golden 1 member, which is one of the largest credit unions in CA. It's been 28 days without my $600.

Original Review: On October 30th, I attempted to transfer my significant other money for rent ($600). For some reason he did not get a notification stating I had initiated a transfer, and on my end, there was a red signal stating "incomplete transaction" and it asked if I wanted to cancel/take my money back. I clicked yes. There was no prompt other than "cancel transaction" after I canceled the transaction. I received an email that stated "you canceled. transaction and you're money will be returned within 30 days." And my money was no longer in my bank account nor was it in my Venmo, nor was it in my boyfriend's account. My money was gone.

I reached out to team Venmo, they responded quickly stating I should see my money back in my account in 5 business days. That was November 3rd, and I haven't heard from then since nor have I received my money back. I contacted my bank to see maybe it was a delay on their end and they said it is waiting on Venmo, and my bank can't help. It has been 15 business days and I have not heard back from them nor received my $600 back.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

I have used Venmo several times now and they are fast, safe and secure. Very easy to use and user friendly. They have good customer care and will help you with any issues that may come up. Great service.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

Have had issues making transfer to one individual but others are working well. Quick and easy method to transfer to individuals and groups. Very easy to use even for a senior citizen. I’m sure there are features I’m not currently using but will be exploring them. I feel that my information is very secure.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

Very handy app, for when I need to pay someone, or someone needs to pay me. Also some street vendors accept Venmo, so makes life easier. It is safe, and you have your money in your Venmo account within a few seconds. All the money I receive stays in my Venmo account, and I don't pay anything.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

Venmo is extremely easy to use and has pretty wide adoption, so most people are easy to find. The interface is simple and friendly, and payments are quick and secure. There's also an option to get a debit card to treat your balance like a checking account, but I don't use it often.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

I like Venmo and I use it pretty often. Here is my opinion: Pros: friendly, easy to use and set up, a lot of people use it, the look and feel is attractive, no transaction limit (or no that I know of). Cons: fees and I feel is not as secure as other payment options.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

Venmo is easy to use and can be linked to bank account affording the opportunity to have money transferred directly to your account. No fee is charged to my account for these transfers. Tracking your transfers is made simple and not complicated.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

During the Covid-19 quarantine, my son wasn't able to work at the bar where he has been an assistant manager over the last five years. The bar still hasn't opened completely, but he was able to find employment in a different field in the meantime. However, the money he was used to making was diminished significantly. I have used Venmo several times to assist him financially and it has proven to be an easy and reliable way to provide help to loved ones without putting anyone at risk. Thanks! Stay safe and VOTE!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2020

I did some web work for a new client and she gave me a few options for how to receive payment. I was able to get paid immediately through Venmo. I sent the request, she paid it and then I transferred it to my bank account. Could not be easier!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2020

I recommend Venmo because it's easy to transfer money to and from friends. You can also write notes to remember the transaction. Venmo has 3 tricky aspects: First, finding people for the first time can be tricky. Second, you need to actively deposit money people send you. Otherwise Venmo stores it for you without interest. Third, as most social media companies - Venmo (over)shares private information. However, you can turn off sharing it with friends but I don't know their third party sharing policy.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2020

Venmo is easy to use, easily accessible and inexpensive. I can get funds, pay funds or make transfers to my bank account very easily. Once accounts for transfer are set up, it's virtually a push of a button. All favorable experiences so far.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2020

Venmo is easy, fast, and convenient. Have used it countless times with no problems. The only issue I have is that the app does not allow you to stop payment. The recipient must send the funds back to you. What if you accidentally send to the wrong person and said person refuses to return the funds? I understand the transaction is an ACH so it's instantaneous, but would be a nice feature to have the option to cancel. Otherwise triple check your sending funds to the correct recipient beforehand.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

I had to open a 2nd Venmo acct because I moved and did not have phone or email anymore. In past 2 weeks, my kids sent me money to old acct. I have gone back and forth for hours and countless emails trying to explain to them what happened. They made it so hard to fix and said no one can call ---but can send 25 emails!!! Told them to close both accts and send money back to my kids--- so mad!!! Thanks for stealing money from my girls...

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

Easy, used with several friends/family, quick to deposit cash into my account. Feels safe. Can look up people to request/send money to in a flash. Easily downloads onto your phone so that you can pay back lunch money to your friends!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

I used this service to pay my friend for helping me out with odd jobs. It is easy to find a person's account with either their phone number, username or scanning their username. The funds are transferred fast and the person has the option to either pay a small fee to quickly transfer funds or pay no fee and wait a few days for their bank to transfer the funds. It’s my preferred service of money transfers. I feel like my information is protected and my money is safe. Highly recommend.

Venmo Company Information