3.8/5 (1076 ratings)

About Venmo

Venmo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Venmo?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Venmo?

Original review: Dec. 2, 2021

I was scammed out of 700.00 by someone using fraudulent emails. Venmo does not secure against scams. And is not making situation right. I will never use them again. A company this large should protect against scammer.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2021

I only use Venmo to pay people of work for me performing little jobs as handyman as an example or to repay one of my sons who may have done something for me. I have been getting declined on my payments. I have plenty of funds in my bank account and yet it's been over a week and my payment requests keep getting declined with no explanations. Venmo customer service is of no help. I have been getting the same answers from various agents telling me that due to security they cannot tell me what is the problem.

This morning's email from one of the agents says that they only see what I see and that is "Decline" but they have not other screen or any other information. I keep asking to be connected to a senior "tech" customer service agent but with no success. This should not be allowed. There should be some law that makes Venmo having to answer the reason for the problem and solve the issue. I have even talked on the phone to them a couple of times but with no success.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

My account was frozen, I submitted my ID and bank statement. Still haven’t heard anything from them. I just need my money. Customer service sucks at this company!!! No reply for 2 days going on 3. Still no one can tell me how do I withdraw my money when my back account nor debit cards are being accepted. Freaking ridiculous!!!!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2021

I had some friends that wanted to send me money via Venmo. I didn’t have an account but figured I could just open one up. I signed up and my account was immediately frozen. I couldn’t enter my bank account information, a debit card number, a credit card number, nothing. I emailed customer support and they told me due to “suspicious activity” (the account was just created!!!) I would need to send them a copy of my driver's license to verify that I was who I was. I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY ORGANIZATION ASK ME FOR A PICTURE OF MY DRIVER'S LISCENSE! There have ALWAYS been other ways to verify who I was. I do not feel comfortable sending them a copy of my license. I requested that they figure out another way to confirm my identity – i.e.: text me a digital code that I need to enter into my account, a secret password, an answer to a secret question. But No. They want a picture of my driver license!

Then I asked them to refund the money back to the people that sent it to me. They ignored my email. Then I sent another email and asked them how to pay someone (I was just going to send the funds back to the folks that sent the money to me) and they responded with this:
• "Occasionally Venmo may hold funds for up to 180 days in order to protect ourselves against potential liability.
• This may happen if the account specialists conclude that our User Agreement was violated.
• Within 180 days, our account specialists will reach out to you and let you know if those funds are able to be released to you.

• The specific reasons aren’t available to us here on the support team, as laid out in the notification from our account specialists. However, our User Agreement lists the most common reasons that this action is taken – specifically in the section titled Restricted Activities."

Now they are going to hold my money hostage for 180 days. This saga has been going on now for 5 days, I still can not get my $55.00. WHATEVER YOU DO, STAY AWAY FROM USING VENMO!!!!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2021

Venmo is horrible. There was a possible hacking attack on my Venmo account and Venmo does not have anyone to contact. I was supposed to receive incoming funds and the funds never arrived from the third party. The third party informed me that my account appeared have been hacked.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2021

Always an issue when I use my Venmo debit card, either get charged for in network atm and last night 10/28 went to use my card at an atm and it told me I could not get money out but still debited my account $100 and now I have to file a claim and hopefully they said they might be able to get my money back in 10+ days....Never use venmo debit cards. Noting but headaches.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2021

I was sent $1000 from my roommate to pay for his half of the bills. I created a Venmo account to receive the payment since he’s out of town. I tried to make an instant deposit to my account and it was rejected so I tried adding my business debit card to receive the instant transfer and it was denied. I called Venmo to see what was the issue and the rep told me nothing is wrong try the 1-3 day bank transfer and I did. Two days later I receive an email saying my account was frozen. I called customer service and was told my money transfer wouldn’t affected since I initiated the transfer before the account was frozen and that an account specialist will reach out to me in 2-3 business days regarding why my account was frozen. I received an email Monday morning asking for my ID and bank statement. I sent my statement Monday. I received another email on Tuesday asking for the same info. I sent my statement again.

I received another email on Wednesday asking for my statement so I resent it. Thursday I received an email saying my account (which I’m transferring the money to) is verified but since I had my business account on file (I erased the account from Venmo before I was asked to provide bank statement) they requested my business bank statement. I sent over my business bank statement and have yet to hear from them about my money. I have received over draft fees from my bank because I made bill payments thinking the money would have cleared my account by now.

I have asked for this transfer to be cancelled so I can refund my roommate and he can give me the money another way and was told they cannot cancel the transfer. I’m devastated that I do not know if or when my money will be released. I have to pay rent in a few days and my account is already negative so I really need my money. DO NOT USE VENMO!!! STAY AWAY!!! THEY ARE THIEVES!!!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2021

The call lines are not open on weekends and they take 24 hours to come back on email. Asked for my ID but didn't state it had to be US specific (i'm from the UK). I asked for my card to be unlocked and after 3/4 emails back and forth they sent me new logins.... which I didn't ask for. Then when I logged in, I couldn't unlock it anyway. Took the whole weekend from friday to monday to actually get the card unlocked. My phone was broke and it was a right pickle. Don't put your wages or leave significant money with this business as they don't care. When I asked for the complaint email address they said they said on my complaint.... "I hadn't written it." Just completely utterly dismissive and incompetent, it doesn't work being nice with them either. Also the call center isn't in America and I doubt their real names are Brendan and Jenny.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2021

I have emailed this company several times with no response... just to get my new phone number updated so I can sign in. I have muddled my way several times just to get through their ridiculous automated service and get a live person, which seems next to impossible. Once you input all the "right" buttons to stay in their automated lineup without being disconnected or driven off by them telling you to visit their chat or website for further answers, you are placed in a queue where you are to hold on for no less than 10 minutes. And then just before your 10 minutes is up... another 10 minutes gets tacked on!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

This is the most easiest way to send and receive money. I was able to connect all of my cards without any issues. And there aren’t any ridiculous fees that I need to pay either if I want my money immediately.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

The app is very slow to load on old hardware. Verification feature that is now included is helpful when sending money to strangers. Also nice that it works with Splitwise. I use this most of the time when transferring money between friends.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2021

Very pleased with Venmo for both in/out money transfer. We don’t use it a lot but when needed it’s worked without any problems. We have not used any other Venmo services such as their credit/debit card or banking.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2021

I've never had any issues with Venmo. And I love that it is easy to receive money in seconds rather than in days. It's also easy to find friends/businesses with a qr code as well. It's never disappointed me.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2021

Venmo set up easily and executed two transfers to my bank account to verify and validate the bidirectional connection. The SaaS is well done in my opinion, and safe to use. I also set up a debit card to receive Venmo payments.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

I like Venmo because it is convenient, easy and allows me to keep track of transactions. I also, like the fact that I have a credit card with Venmo and can use that for transactions as well. I feel the fees are in line and comparable to other transfer services and we have a choice to wait for a no fee transfer or an immediate transfer for as mall fee. All money transfer services have a fee and I understand that however, I prefer Venmo and another reason is many of my clients have the Venmo App and it makes it much more simple when a quick service is needed.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

This is the best thing since sliced bread. My grandkids are away at college and anytime they need money I can send it safely to them and they get it immediately. I don’t have to worry if they need something. Also at my age it stops me from having to run out and wire it to them, which I did in the past. This is so convenient. Sometimes too convenient if you know what I mean.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2021

Venmo is quick and intuitive. They make it easy to transfer money between friends and businesses. I have found it easy to transfer money to my personal bank account in a reasonable amount of time if I want it fast on a small service charge that doesn't affect the principal of my cash availability. I really appreciate that they ask for confirmation when sending to new individuals compared to other apps that don't verify and take a long time to recover data.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2021

They are easy to use but not as safe as Zelle. You should to sending money to people you know personally. The customer service is not very helpful but Once you are set up the ease with which you can transfer is great. I love it for my grandkids.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2021

I find this service to very friendly to people who do not have a smart phone, their service is very easy to use, the quick delivery of funds is very satisfying. We have told all three of our daughters and they now use this service much more than I do. We all are very happy the way it works.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2021

Hello, Venmo has became really convenient for me a customer for over a year, my children venmo me all the time with cash deposits. I am very pleased! Would always recommend! Happy to be a customer! Thanks!!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

Very convenient and easy to use. I Feel that it is a safe service. I was very skeptical at first but now find it easy to transfer funds. I also use PayPal occasionally. I have never had any issues.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

Excellent service with continuity. Quick turnaround from receiving to bank confirmation. Never a worry about being advised of receipt nor when transfer transpires. Doesn't matter how small the dollar value, nor the maximum amount allowed. Love that they require the notation as to purpose of transfer.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

To simply change my phone number I couldn't update on app or website, I called and was told I had to submit 5 second video of myself AND a photo I.D. I never will do business with businesses that transfer calls OR make absurd rules.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

I have been using Venmo for several years now. The entire process is very easy to send and receive money. Usually take a day or so to transfer money to my bank account once I receive it. Have used other services but Venmo is just better.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

Venmo is wonderful for sending money to friends and family. I used to send checks and they would have to cash them or if I send cash sometimes they wouldn't receive it. It's an instant transfer and so easy to use. I just can't imagine how hard that was to fit to endure the kind childhood in it be so alone.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

Got an email solicitation from PayPal to open a Venmo account and I'd get $10. But I never got the $10. I looked into the offer on the internet to see if it was a scam and turns out many others didn't get it, either. Not only that, but seems there are a lot of problems with funding and transfers, with bad customer service. So I never added funding info or used the account. I tried to close it but it said my account was frozen. I've spent so much time emailing and then an hour calling but they can't/won't help me. The support call center is just an answering service, basically. They can't do anything (and often don't respond to emails or send automated replies) and must send my problem to an "account specialist".

So this brand new account, with no activity and no funding, is "frozen" and can't be closed, needs a "case", and "investigation" in order to get it closed. Plus I had to send a photo of my ID to "verify" my account, which I have never heard of having to do that before. So I don't trust them and I want this account closed. I threatened to close my 20 yr old PayPal account over it, as PayPal owns Venmo and got me into this mess, and which I did end up closing today (with no "frozen" nonsense, was instant).

I won't do business with anyone (Venmo) who only has an answering service for support (and endless hold), or their parent company (PayPal), esp when it involves banks and money. If there is a problem, you need to be able to call and talk to someone who can fix it, like all other support I use (imagine if my bank was like this!). So beware and do an internet search before you open a Venmo account, like I should have done. As it is, I will have to keep wasting time and energy to get this Venmo account closed.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

Horrible experience trying to access my Venmo accounts and transfer money into my checking account. There are no live personnel help. Funds can be trapped in Venmo for months. Expensive to use as a business. As soon as I finally get the last of my funds transferred out, I am terminating VENMO forever!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

Venmo is pretty useless application. I could not transfer money from my bank to Venmo account due to this is additional service. I could not make payment with Bank transfer (listed in Venmo account) due to Venmo balance has a priority and you cannot use bank until you have money on Venmo balance. It even sounds ridiculous. I thought company wanted to make payments easy for people. Why do we need another pain in the **? Don't we have enough already? Easier to come back to checks then.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

I made a purchase in early June 2021 and used Venmo to pay for the purchase. Mistake! I got ripped off (my fault). Sent an email to Venmo's customer support and was told there was nothing I could do. Fine. Gave them the name of the individual on Venmo linked to the fraud and nothing happened. Looked today and the account is STILL active! Their basic response was: "Venmo is designed for payments between friends and people who trust each other. Avoid payments to people you don't know, especially if it involves a sale for goods and services (like event tickets and Craigslist items). These payments are potentially high risk, and you could lose your money without getting what you paid for. Venmo does not offer buyer or seller protection." They were NOT lying! They offer NO protection! Don't use VENMO!! They offer NO protection and apparently don't care if their site is being used to move money for scams.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

I used Venmo for at least 6 months. I was always sending money and there was never a fee for me. On the other end, to receive immediately, there's a stiff fee. When I had to start using my bank account to send funds directly, lost debit card, it went through half a dozen times, then started this "there was a problem with your payment. Try again later." I tried a million times over a 2 day period, same message. I contacted customer service in the chat link on the app. This method because it became apparent that a real person wasn't coming on the phone when I tried to call customer service.

The person I chatted with could not or would not tell me when my transactions would not go through. I tried multiple people and different amounts. Just rejected. The customer service person I talked to, Bernadette, told me that if this payment was very important to me that I should use another platform to send the money. It reminds me of PayPal, no customer service there either.

Venmo Company Information