2. Finance
  3. Money Transfer

3.8/5 (992 ratings)

About Venmo

Venmo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Venmo?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Venmo?

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

Awful. They locked me out of my account for reporting a transaction as unauthorized when really, it was simply Uber charging me for something they later refunded. In the meantime I was on chat with support, here's how that went: First chat: "Sorry, another team handles that, I'll transfer you." Second chat: "Sorry, that's actually the account security team, and they only do emails. No one is there right now so they'll get back to you tomorrow."

FIVE DAYS LATER they email me back after I keep emailing about the fact that I need my account unlocked and it never should have been locked to begin with. Then they tell me I need to go through some insane security protocol including uploading a valid ID and me *holding* the valid ID, two separate photos. All because they don't have the account security teams doing chats, and I had to wait four days longer than they initially told me I'd have to wait. The issue is now "resolved" but the person that last handled my case, "Roxy", refused to answer me after several attempts to get the name and phone number of a human being I could speak to about this awful, unnecessary experience. Use this app at your own risk - or, better yet, don't use it at all and find an alternative.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2021

Venmo decided to close my account as I have $350 in my account that they will not release. They said they can hold my money for $180 days. Never even heard of nothing like that. They say my account is closed but they won't let me have my money. I would not recommend Venmo to anybody.

Original review: July 17, 2021

I was trying to send money for a dining table but my transaction was being declined. First, it took 2 days to add the card to my account which required 2 separate calls to Customer Support and being on line for over an hour. My bank confirmed that there was no issues with my card on their end. Venmo customer support could not tell me why my transaction was being declined (they said they were not allowed to tell me). Every time they would just tell me to try again in a few hours. No luck 12 hours later. Save yourself the headache and use some other form of payment.

Original review: July 15, 2021

Venmo is trash. They locked my account for no reason. I have been trying for over a month of back and forth emails and calls and they are useless. They have a team that deals with locked accounts but I guess they are all just passing the issue off. Worst company I have ever dealt with.

Original review: July 8, 2021

My friend sent me $500 for some work I did for his company. He paid it through Venmo. What a nightmare to get it transferred to my Wells Fargo account. After numerous emails and a phone call--it is supposed to be solved. Next time I will insist on Zell--never Venmo!

Original review: July 5, 2021

I open an account in October with Venmo about to be a year. On July 2, 2021, I realize Venmo does not refund funds to cardholder's account. You have to create a ticket, dispute, or something to receive your refund. Unrealistic for customers having to go through such process with everything else going on in the world. Customer service tries to blame the merchant for the problem when clearly Venmo is pocketing cardholder's money. If you’re unaware of this process you will be out of your refund.

For over 12 days I was waiting for a refund from a purchase I made 06/20/21. I went to Dillards to exchange some shoes when learning they didn’t have them in the size. I request a refund as of today refund haven’t been deposit. Along with several other refunds. I asked around about this to the persons who introduced me to Venmo. She was unaware of this process and has open up many questions about her refunds for the past few years. Venmo has been keeping many cardholders refund if unaware it remains in their pockets and the cardholders are out of their money. I learned somehow customer service making excuses about this process as a dispute no way you should have to dispute a refund when it should be just deposit back to your account.

Seeking to find a way to avoid this process for cardholders and to retain all cardholders who has been victimized by this not receiving their refund. I been chatting with several representatives about this matter none has been able to resolve my Dillards issue over $300 purchase. Unable to speak to a live agent even during working hours what has this world come to. Look into refunds and file a dispute claim ticket etc to get your money.

Original review: July 1, 2021

Please be very careful with this company. A user (Erica **) sent me $30 (with a note saying she wanted 1/2 a stash). She then sent another note asking for the money back. I googled this type of activity, and many sites warn against sending unknown users money back. I therefore declined to sent money back. Venmo then took the money from my account without my permission, and gave this user the $30. Please beware of this user (Erica **), and please avoid Venmo as they do not respect your privacy or their own company policies.

Original review: June 11, 2021

I wanted an “instant” transfer which was for some reason unavailable. Regular transactions take 1-3 business days if they are in by 7 pm, almost always hitting the account the following day. My transaction when in late on a Monday which means it wouldn’t post till Tuesday - that’s fine, nothing happened Wednesday, nothing happened Thursday and nothing happened Friday. What Venmo fails to mention is not only do they need to clear it but supposedly my bank needs to be involved. Most of you reading this are familiar with immediacy of these transactions— you’re not gonna get it from Venmo. All in all I will have waited at least 9 days for a $50 transfer - am I angry? You have no doubt.

Original review: May 19, 2021

I was sent money for my son's prescription and was told to download Venmo app because it was supposed to be a good app and money is sent quickly to your account. 150 bucks was sent through venmo but only 70 cents and 83 cents was deposited into my bank account!! What a crooked company!!

Original review: May 13, 2021

Three years ago, my wife and I decided to open a credit union account for our minor autistic son, to help teach him about money management, and to allow him to establish a relationship with a financial institution. It's also a good place to deposit checks that friends and family give him on various occasions. The account has basically sat dormant (credit unions are usually fine with this) over the years, and when my wife recently signed in to get things ready to transfer over to him when he turns 18, she found out that someone had attempted to use his account with Venmo, starting in March of this year. My wife and I are both security professionals and technical consultants, and were shocked to see the familiar verification deposits and withdrawals, and three deposits.

After attempting to contact Venmo about the issue, we were directed to talk to our bank. Well, the bank account information is locked in a secure safe - no one but my wife has ever accessed the account - and none of us has interacted with Venmo. Likely? Someone flipped two digits when entering their account number, and the deposits started going into his account. But the question I keep asking Venmo is: why did you allow ANY interaction with m son's account without FIRST fully verifying the account is owned by the person who entered it into Venmo?

We shared a screenshot of the credit union account history with Venmo customer service, so they could see the partially redacted account number, and the verification deposits and withdrawals, and the deposit amounts, including all the transaction numbers. Venmo SHOULD have been able to see what the problem was, and corrected it, by removing my son's account number from the Venmo user's account. But they did not.

Venmo is likely violating banking laws by allowing someone to fraudulently (or accidentally?) interact with a bank account just by entering the wrong number (again, either intentionally or accidentally). This should never be allowed to happen. The credit union account is well-secured, has not been hacked, and all information is locked in a safe. We haven't written checks, or used the debit card. No possibility of a leak.

Why is Venmo so bad at customer service and security? Would absolutely give Venmo negative stars if I could. Venmo: get your act together. You've wasted a week of my family's time, cost us hundreds of dollars of lost opportunity, and now my son has to get a different account number, just because your security is so bad.

Original review: May 5, 2021

HORRIBLE HORRIBLE experience! DO NOT use! I sent funds to the wrong person and they want the address and phone number of the person I was supposed to send to...which I don’t have. They wont help me if I don’t have that information, nor will they help to reverse the payment that was sent to the wrong person. I don’t have the phone number of the other person or email address, just their Venmo username. Why do they need info on the person I was trying to send? What matters is the person the money was incorrectly sent. However it is their protocol. They told me they can’t help, So now I have lost my $50 and they won’t help. Poor customer experience and absolutely no support, 12 hour delays in response from support. Talk about stealing and a scam. Don’t use.

Original review: May 4, 2021

About a month ago, I created a Venmo account to sent money to a friend. That seemed to work okay. Yesterday that same friend sent me money for something else and I needed to add a bank account to retrieve that money. Venmo's website and App would not allow me to add a bank account. I tried from three different browsers and the App on three different devices. I get the same "Whoops! Something went wrong, try again." I called and emailed customer service and they could not help me resolve the issue. At this point I have money being held hostage by Venmo! EXTREMELY UPSET!

Original review: April 26, 2021

I tried to open a Venmo account but apparently someone else had opened one with my phone number already and they won't do anything to assist me. I've tried customer service numerous times and they say they need the person with that phone number to close the account, but I am the person with the phone number so of course it doesn't match the random person's bank account. I have tried to verify my number with them, but they are too incompetent to handle that function. Probably just as well since I see other bad reviews about them defrauding others of their money.

Original review: April 24, 2021

Do not use Venmo. Choose an app that actually offers you protection. They offer ZERO. I fell victim to a Venmo user that took me for $525. I was purchasing several items that I obviously never received. This same user has done this to multiple people and Venmo didn’t even close their page so I’m sure they will continue the scamming. Super disappointed that Venmo did nothing. Again choose another app to do business with. Do not use Venmo!

Original review: April 24, 2021

I received money legitimately and tried to transfer the funds into my bank and was told by Venmo it would be in my account on the 22nd. Yet now they decide to hold it longer claiming a 3rd party does the funds transfer. And of course I have to continue to wait on crooks to give me MY money.

Original review: April 23, 2021

A person I do not know and have never know was able to steal money from my checking account through Venmo. I have been on hold with customer service for over three hours because Venmo still has not resolved the issue. This is the worst customer service I have ever experienced.

Original review: April 6, 2021

Tried to get help making a payment from a well-funded bank account. Payment was declined but could not get answers as to why. I suspect it could’ve been due to an email change which I explained, or perhaps I made a request error. I never thought I would get answers such as, "We cannot tell you why your payment was declined. Try again." Which I did to no avail. Terrible chat service and by phone, got a similar non-answer by recorded message. A company has NO customer service if they can’t or won’t help with a problem. So I do not recommend Venmo. Chime or Skrill or any competitor should be used instead.

Original review: March 30, 2021

I have had my account for many years. My account was frozen without warning. Nobody would help when I called, chatted or emailed. They just kept telling me it was frozen and an account specialist is handling it and will get in touch with me. They asked for me to upload a copy of my DL. A month has gone by now and it's still frozen. I just received an email today stating they don't have any information on why or when it will be unfrozen. They also said THEY ARE KEEPING MY MONEY UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE!!!! I replied back to this email and am waiting. Such poor poor customer service and I can't believe they think it's ok to keep someone's money without a reason.

Original review: March 25, 2021

I my wife sent money to me and never received it. They said it under review. And it’s two weeks. They took my wife’s money and never returned it. They want receipt from me what the money is for. My wife sent money with a typo error and now it is under review. This money was hard earn by my wife. I had her pull everything out of account and transferred to her bank account will never use this company. User beware!!!

Original review: March 22, 2021

I have to write this to warn other users of Venmo that this company has zero fraud protection and what you see in their policies on website is just for show. Venmo does not resolve any fraud, so you will have to work with your bank or a lawyer to get your stolen money.

In January 2020 my Venmo account was hacked with absolute no participation from me (unlike usual scams that require some sort of pin verification or other mistake on the account owner side, I work in IT, so I wouldn't fall for those). Someone just got access to my account, changed attached phone number (I did not get any notification on email or phone about any of the changes or suspicious logins from another state), and four outgoing transactions totaling about $5k appeared on my account. I only learned about that when I tried to access my account from my phone and was not able to.

When I reset my password and saw all the changes and transactions I was shocked that Venmo allowed all this and did not send any alerts. I contacted Venmo support and they said "we did not locate evidence of unauthorized access to your Venmo account". Seriously? The account was accessed from a different state, changed the phone number on account, there are four ~$1000 transactions to random users, and all that did not look like fraud to them. Even worse, they said that my actions violated their user agreement, did not say exactly how (it's their policy not to tell you), and permanently deactivated my account. The only thing I did was submitted a claim, apparently that is a violation for them.

So, pretty much their lack of security allows hackers to access users' accounts even without social engineering, and their internal policies direct their support to just close the accounts of users who had been scammed telling them that they are in violation of something, and those same policies say NOT to give any explanation.

I was able to get my money back through my bank, they have a team of lawyers, and they were absolutely not surprised to hear about my case, apparently dealing with Venmo fraud is a routine for them. I hope the authorities eventually make venmo pay for their practices. Venmo should be accountable for misleading users and encouraging fraud like that. Attaching screenshots of standard "no evidence" and "it's your fault" response I got.

Original review: March 22, 2021

Tried to do an instant transfer and they gave no reason as to why and basically cut the conversation short. I have done everything correct. I won't be using Venmo in the future. There are much better services out there like Zelle.

Original review: March 19, 2021

Opened account to transfer 4 days ago... funds have not been received... Perhaps next week... I have NO idea why people would use this product. I certainly will never use or recommend this service. Customer service is hollow with no explanation given other than it "might" have been flagged or "may" be under review... My one star was generous!!!

Original review: March 17, 2021

I make a mistake and pay the wrong person and when I ask for my money back Venmo said for me to contact the customer, who refuse to give me my money back, and Venmo refuse to help. So I contact my bank and they were able to stop payment. Now Venmo has my account frozen and they will not help or look into the matter.

Original review: March 8, 2021

I have used this app and I must say it is quite disappointing... I mean it does what it is purported to do but the Product Manager or the CEO should get their ** kicked... The user interface not only is poor: it doesn't follow any logical process or sequence of steps. The UX puts to the fore information that I couldn't care less such as *So and so* paid *so and so* *such and such amount* and received *2 hearts*, WHAT DO I CARE??? Are people's life so miserable that they need this stuff? Then, you can't attach a picture of a receipt to a payment request, what??? So my question to the top management of Venmo is: How did you get to these positions of leadership with such a sloppy eye on customer experience??

Original review: March 5, 2021

This is a horrible app, a horrible company with terrible customer service. Every time I try to do and instant transfer to my bank I end up waiting 3 days for it to show up. There is no instant transfer option though if you look it up on help page it says there is. Customer service says they can't cancel the transfer. Your money is sitting somewhere in limbo because your bank doesn't even know it's coming And they can't cancel it either. I can't express how awful their app is. But I can highly recommend Zelle which gets me my money no more than 10 minutes after it's sent to me from the individual. NO middle man, it goes straight from bank to bank with just a name and phone number. All that has to happen is that sender and receiver both register with Zelle.

Original review: March 3, 2021

They froze my account and when I asked them about the reason they told me they cannot provide any reason! The same thing happened to many of my friends. I just searched their hashtag on Twitter and was shocked by what I saw!

Original review: March 2, 2021

Venmo gives zero effort to help people scammed by other users. They are allowing other users to steal without any remorse for the complainant or reconciliation of the situation. They would rather be hands off than provide the proper customer service for their clients. Wouldn’t recommend until policies are changed.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

On August 2020,Venmo deactivated my Account and was holding funds I received via Direct Deposit. My Account was deactivated after being frozen for and now they say they will be holding funds for up to 180 days and I did raised this complaint on BBB and I agreed to wait for the 180 days hold period. On 02/03/2021 my 180 days hold period was over, but venmo support doesn't answer my emails and also they restricted logins for my account. Venmo support agent Ethan G. has replied me that "my funds will not be returned and any further emails or inquiries from me will be ignored". Then Venmo has stopped replying to any of my emails or ticket inquiry after their agent Ethan G. threatened me that my inquiries or emails will not be answered. I have sent more than 20 emails and submitted 3 support tickets. Venmo is holding $7970 of my funds.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

I decided to try Venmo App to make a payment which went well. Tried a second small payment however after speaking with paid individual we decided I pay via cash. So I cancelled the payment. A few days later I decided to make a larger payment of 1400.00 to someone. Well unbeknownst to me Venmo froze my account shortly after I added the 1400.00 to my account because I cancelled the previous transaction. added to my account approx. Jan 6th. They asked for DL and bank statement which I forwarded via email. It is now February 15, 2021 and I'm still getting the run-around about releasing my 1400.00. CAUTION: Use Venmo with great caution and try to only use for small amounts. They will freeze your account and try to keep or refuse to give back your money. I need my money sooo badly. I've pleaded with them to give me my money and still have not received.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

My identity was compromised last October. 7 fraudulent charges were made on my Venmo account in 5 mins to a vendor that doesn't exist on the internet and I've never heard of. The 7 transactions were for 20 dollars apiece all made in the same 5 mins. My phone binged 7 times to let me know I was making purchases in California and I live in DC, so I reported it immediately. Reported my venmo card or account as compromised. I got a new card and new account number set up and Venmo issued me temporary credit to cover the funds that were stolen.

Then 2 months later I got an email saying an investigation was done and that out of the 7 transactions, 3 were fraudulent. but 4 of them were authorized. So they will take the temporary credits they issued back. When I asked about the investigation they were rude, ugly, short, coy, and downright deceptive. They lied to me, ran me around, and just stopped responding. They never answered my question.

My question is just common sense. They investigated 7 transactions. All exactly the same. Same time. Same place. Same merchant, same fraudulent report. But the body that did the investigation ruled 2 different ways on the exact same thing. And when I emailed and called and asked how that is, they were coy, rude, short, and dismissive like I didn't have clue. I even told them, "If you explain this to me at all, I'll give you the money back and keep being a user." I use Venmo a lot, like a lot. I like the service. The 100 or so dollars is not the end of the world to me, but it's the common sense of the thing and the way I've been treated and handled when asking simple questions. They basically told me to go fly a kite. They don't have to explain anything. They don't want to and demanded I make funds available to them to recover the temporary credits they issued.

It's a hundred dollars in the balance, that's what this is over. I use this service daily, tons of movement on my account, I have a venmo card and use it at the store all the time, I really enjoy the service. But since they won't respond to me, there are plenty of other services just like them that I'll give my business too. This company doesn't give 2 cents about its users. It's shady, dishonest, and openly rude. That's my experience with them at least. My warning is don't be surprised if they steal from you. Because they want to, and will every opportunity they have.

Venmo Company Information