2.72/5

228 Venmo Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 11, 2019

I was enjoying Venmo until I got a new cell number. Venmo does not have a good system to help people who have changed their cell number. I have spent the last three weeks with their email support trying to resolve this. They pass me around from support person to support person. Twice, they tell me that they've sent me a one-time code in order for me to access my account. I have not received any code. I even checked my spam box. They even asked me for a copy my driver's license, which I sent to them. They didnt get back to me. I had to follow up with then.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

This company cannot hold your money period. They have taken my money twice and not given it back or tried to steal it. The staff is unprofessional, not helpful at all. They are a fraud and a scam and do not care about one but themselves. Unprofessional company. I hope they get shut down or close. Will not be returned.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

After I reported a fraudulent transaction against my account, Venmo froze my account, told me to change my password and assign a PIN code...which I did; then they asked me to send a copy of my ID to them, which I am pretty sure is illegal (I am still confirming that with my attorney). Not only have I not been able to 1) re-open the account and/or 2) transfer my money that is sitting in this account to my bank account, I am not receiving any correspondence from my "representative assigned to this case". I called today, but was told that they can only communicate about this issue via e-mail, however, if the person who was supposedly in charge of my "case" has not responded, how can I resolve the issue?! All I would like to do is transfer MY funds from MY Venmo account into MY bank account and close my Venmo account for good.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

Well today I have money “sitting” in Venmo that It will not let me transfer. Since customer service is closed to talk to by phone weekends we chatted with someone by the app (Named Sam **). He must have been wording off of a paper as his responses gave to answer to why MY money I cannot get access to. The employee ending the chat which was professional, RIGHT!! Beyond frustrated that this outside company has my hard earned money in holding. So I worked all week to let “whoever” have it at Venmo! I will be contacting BBB and write all the reviews about what has happened. They have NO right not letting me have my money.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

I opened an account, successfully made transfers to family members for a week, all bank accounts were verified and in good standing and then suddenly my transactions were "red flagged". No one in the company can tell me why and can't tell me if I will ever be able to use the account again...no explanation, no fix...not good and now this company has my banking information!!!! Stay away!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Venmo?

Original review: July 29, 2019

I tried to open an account as someone wanted to pay me by Venmo. As I spent over two hours trying to open an account to no success. So the next morning I spent some time looking at reviews of the company. What I have read they are keeping people's money whenever possible. I was unsuccessful at opening the account and boy am I happy that I did not. Look at the reviews I think the idea is to go out of business owing many small amounts.

Original review: July 24, 2019

I used Venmo for about a year or so before I had an awful experience and I will never use this app again! I want to let people know what happened to me so it doesn't happen to anyone else!! My husband Venmoed me, so I could go pay some bills, and when I went to transfer the money over via instant transfer Venmo said instant transfer was unavailable. I talk to Customer Service on the app and they said that my account was flagged for some internal security system and that I would need to do a standard transfer of 1-3 days.

Not acceptable, what if this was someone waiting on food money?? Or money for medication?? So, my husband just had to give me his card so I could go down and pay the bills -- which is just a hassle, but again what if this was someone who needed money for a prescription?? Or something serious?? I asked Venmo CS this, and they said the same thing -- that even if this was an emergency they can't override and go through the back end of the code to unflag my account.

So, I'm in the process of doing the standard transfer just so we can get the money out of my Venmo (hopefully, fingers crossed). And then we will cancel both of our Venmo accounts. The fact is they are hiring people who don't know how to code and they are flagging accounts that have NO reason to be flagged and their CS department does NOTHING to fix or help customers who have been flagged because of their faulty codes. I just hope original deposit goes through on a standard transfer otherwise we'll be calling our banks and reporting Venmo as a fraud transfer.

Original review: July 24, 2019

Janna ** Title supervisor with Venmo. It seems has no manager over of her. She has a can’t do anything to help unfreeze an account. Or anything That is beyond what the staff can do. Mind you the account was made and has automatically been frozen the first second it was made. It seems all the staff in the management can do is send it up to an account specialist, by the way you can’t call these account specialists. It takes 5 to 7 business days to get a response back from them through email. And all the managers can do is apologize and tell me that they’re so sorry that they can’t do anything for me.

This has to be one of the most annoying companies that I’ve ever dealt with! Not to mention that their actual employees hang up on you when it is a 15 minute wait on the phone. That’s what happened to me on my first phone call. The second phone call the second individual couldn’t figure out how to use my ID so I had to take three pictures of it for them. Just to get me to a supervisor at which point they informed me that the supervisor can’t do anything that they can’t do.

Original review: July 23, 2019

I have the Venmo debit card and made the horrible mistake of using it at a hotel. NEVER EVER use this card ANYWHERE WHERE THERE IS A PRE-AUTHORIZATION. They have held $303.72 of my money for a hotel bill that was settled 22 days ago. I have had the hotel call them on the phone with me TWICE to tell them my bill was settled for $225.96 the day after the authorization and would they please remove it. They won’t. They won’t even give the hotel a fax number or allow me to email them anything telling them to let it go. Last I got from support is that it was a “software bug” and that they have no idea when I will get my money back and they are “sorry.” Literally, that’s all they have to say.

Original review: July 22, 2019

It has been 14 day since my transfer and now my account is froze and no funds able to be transfer until pending investigation. It my own account to my own verified bank. I hope they read these review. This place need to STOP SCAMMING.

Venmo Company Information