3.8/5 (1163 ratings)

About Venmo

Venmo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Venmo?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Venmo?

Original review: June 24, 2022

My experience has been abysmal and what's more, they have STOLEN my money. They froze my account for some trumped up reason, which they won't disclose to me, and will not allow me to transfer my money out of the account. They also promised $10 for opening this account which I never got. Shame, shame, shame! It may not be a big deal but I will inform all of my friends. I have not had these problems with PayPal.

Original review: June 21, 2022

I have been a Venmo customer for year and never had a problem until I got hacked and they won't do anything. Do not trust your bank account with this company. I had someone figure out my password and sent themselves money twice and venmo said I'd have to contact police or the person who hacked me to ask for my money back. What a joke of a company.

Original review: June 9, 2022

Venmo is a joke, don't waste your time with them. They will freeze your account with money in it, avoid your emails and not respond to any ways of getting in touch with them. Don't get screwed over like I have.

Original review: June 8, 2022

Keep in mind, I adored Venmo for many years and they are claiming that I have violated their Terms and Conditions and not afraid to explain why. They even terminated my account entirely and refusing to send my funds to me. *DO NOT RECOMMEND USING THEM, NEGATIVE REVIEW.*

Original review: May 29, 2022

I signed up for Venmo and was Instantly frozen. I have $102 in my account and they will not send it to me or allow me to access it. I was told to upload a photo ID which in this day and age I'm not comfortable doing. I receive no help from customer service, they will not allow me to close the account. Total scammers!

Original review: May 23, 2022

I went through the apparently necessary process of creating an account to "Accept" a payment that I thought would just go straight to my Paypal account. I set up the user name and password and then went to sign in and it would not accept the newly created username and password, so the money I was to receive is somewhere out there but not available to me. BUT what I sold is gone. So apparently Venmo doesn't have a clue what it is doing, or is intentionally doing something extremely crooked on purpose.

The user name that Venmo apparently recognizes was generated automatically as they refer to my account as having a name I did not create. I will never allow anyone to pay me through Venmo again. I will never send money through Venmo. Why did Paypal create it when Paypal had a complete payment system already? I would like the DOJ or FBI look into the exchange of emails and online forms that I went through and prosecute those involved with its design and implementation. I don't have time to play games with their idiot canned bot crap that doesn't understand simple questions.

Original review: May 20, 2022

My account was hacked for over $4,000.00. After that I was told my money could be help for 180 days. However I patiently waited the 180 days and still wasn’t refunded the money. Instead my account was locked up. I had to call for three months after this. During this process I was hung up on and told different scenarios by each representative. It took me 8 months to get my money. I would not EVER trust my money with Venmo again. I hope this never happens to anyone else, so that’s why I’m sharing my experience.

Original review: May 15, 2022

Venmo froze my account after trying to purchase MOVIE tickets for $135.14. I regularly use Venmo to send hundreds of dollars a month. They said to follow the instructions in the application. There were none because I was using Venmo from a movie theater online website. So, I contact them and they forward my information to another department. They won't unfreeze my account unless I send them my ID and a selfie. What does this prove? Nothing, my ID is not associated with Venmo, only my email and a phone number. Yes, my phone number is paid for by me, so that will match but Verizon won't verify anything to a third party. My bank account is also associated with Venmo, but they won't give out any information to a third party either. I can't get them to transfer my balance, $750, to the bank account on file without doing so. This seems wrong as obviously the account belongs to me because THEY VERIFIED IT!

Original review: May 11, 2022

This company has stole over 4K from me. They will take your money, side with illegal sellers and lock your account until you pay what they stole from you. This company is a absolute TRASH. Do not use it.

Original review: May 1, 2022

I sent money to my son's account not knowing he has never had good luck with Venmo. He wasn’t able to access it and both he and I got the runaround when we called- I’m out $50! And he never received the money he needed.

Original review: April 30, 2022

Someone sent me 300 for my Bills to Venmo and we are on week 2 with my account still being frozen. I sent in my ID. Verify. Now wants bank statements from cards I have linked to venmo. Won't even let me send it out or refund it.

Original review: April 28, 2022

Tried to get an account so coworkers could contribute for the boss's birthday present. Verified my bank account, and sent picture proof of that I am who I said I am and Venmo still wouldn't allow incoming money. When I asked why they were still freezing my account. Venmo said it is at their "sole discretion" to freeze or refuse to allow access to my account. I asked again what did I do wrong or still needed to do. They responded that my account was frozen permanently due to a transaction that May has breached their policies. In other words, once they had my personal information, they refused to activate the account. I even asked what transaction MAY have breached their policies since no transactions were made. Don't waste your time go with PayPal or Chime card instead.

Original review: April 28, 2022

If you transfer large amounts, several hundred and higher, they hold your money hostage to try and force you to use the instant transfer function (for a fee, of course). Payment transaction repeatedly denied after waiting 7 days to transfer into Venmo account. It’s been 9 days and still waiting to make a payment out of my Venmo balance. Called customer support, they suggested I transfer the balance to a bank and make the payment that way….Sure, wait another 6-7 days for the transfer, or, of course I can pay them the instant transfer fee to get my money faster….My opinion is that they stole my money.

Original review: April 26, 2022

The support agent hung up on me! And was utterly rude! They told me they could verify my account because the picture of my ID, that was valid and unexpired, was broken but you could still read everything on the ID!

Original review: April 24, 2022

I transferred my money on my Venmo account because I need to pay my friend thru Venmo. When I’m ready to pay my friend it didn’t go thru. I called Venmo and asking why I can’t send money., they says my account is frozen, I received an email and they asking for my ID, I did email my ID to them then after they received my email they asking my bank statements the I email it them. I received a response from Venmo saying they can’t unfreeze my account. How come they let me deposited in my Venmo account while my account is already frozen and they won’t let me withdraw or spend my money???

Original review: April 22, 2022

I have not used Venmo in a while. They sent me an email saying "Come back to Venmo and cash in with $10. Just use the button below to log in, and we'll drop the money into your Venmo account automatically." I clicked the button and logged into Venmo and they said "Reward has already been claimed" but looking on my transactions, there was never $10 added so they lied. It was just a trick to get people to log back into their accounts. Why would I trust someone with my money when they're trying to trick me?

Original review: April 20, 2022

Venmo marketed to me an offer to get a Venmo credit card to partner with my Venmo account. They said this WOULD NOT affect my credit score. However, they did complete a HARD PULL on my credit and my score went down. Don't fall for this misleading and deceptive advertising!

Original review: April 19, 2022

Word of advice, don't use Venmo unless you just have money to throw away when something goes wrong. $220 floating in space. First, wait 3-5 days to see if it fixes itself. Annoying, but ok. It didn't, so I call. Wait longer. Unacceptable, so I email again. Wait another 8-10 days 'for an email with further instructions' from a 'special team'. Still don't have my money or any answers.

Original review: April 15, 2022

My account was frozen for absolutely no reason, their customer service team could not give me a reason and did not help me at all, just told me it would take 4-5 bis days and could not tell me why. I have over 20K in my account and was trying to send 9 K to someone as I am planning a FUNERAL. These people are terrible. Do not give them your business.

Original review: April 15, 2022

I tried to pay a friend but the Venmo website was down. "The website is temporarily down. Please try again later." I tried to pay my friend again "later" and it worked this time! However, they charged me 2X with no refund. Their website was down, they made the mistake but they don't want to fix it. I am being Robbed $340 by venmo.

Original review: April 15, 2022

The policy requires you send them a selfie with your official identity ID together. I really do not understand it at all. Did they have discrimination issue or not? The customer service cannot help me to cancel my account. Instead, she sent me a link to cancel my account. After I clicked the cancel my account button, I got error and my browser crashed. I am a software engineer. This is a very bad web application. Money is a very sensitive object. If one day you have money transfer and then the application crashes, will I lose my money? If I were you, I won't do business with this new company.

Original review: April 15, 2022

Terrible company. Horrible customer service. Can’t help you if their mystery “automated system” flags your account, good luck trying to get answers as to why - or when if ever the flag will be removed so you can conduct business on their 5h!+ platform.

Original review: April 6, 2022

I had a fraudulent charge and there is no recourse for the company to be responsible. Always use your credit card and NEVER use Venmo when doing any type of business transactions or if you intent to buy something from places like Marketplace. The only time I recommend is sending money to people you are friends with.

Original review: April 3, 2022

Venmo's website and app need some serious rehauling. The website would not let me make any transactions, or give out reasons why. (Simple statement like "overdraft" or "verification" would help, instead it's just... dead.) A friend tells me maybe my account is frozen. So I looked at their FAQ and how to deal with frozen accounts. Their step-by-step guide didn't help, since their order of operations for the common frozen account is "Click on your balance, click on your card and click on "Make payment" to pay overdraft." Only for -MY- balance and card only showing "remove card." Again this doesn't help me. I don't know why my account is frozen, but finally, I found an FAQ for being frozen with "you didn't verify your account."

Well according to their FAQ action guide, I had to INSTALL their damn app on my phone (Something I was not happy to do) and when I did that I finally get a reason. Yes my account is frozen, yes I need to verify. Yes I can click on this link in the app to see how to unfreeze my account. Only to find out that "No they cannot unfreeze at this time, I need to send an email to their help desk to unfreeze my account." By the gods. This alone is warrant of three maybe two stars, but what really drove me angry and pissed off is their auto-response emails.

I was excited thinking their customer service was fast or their auto-response program can help me get unfrozen. Instead I get a damn FAQ email. "Ohh looks like you having problems with 'verification'." Here's some of our top FAQs on how to verify your account. And they gave me five bullet point of how to verify my account. With their first bullet point being "At this time you cannot verify your account by yourself. You need to email us at Venmo/com/emialverificationhelprequest.'com" (Or whatever their damn email is.)

I hate companies that keep giving you the runaround. Especially when it's something this stupid. I realize there needs to be some security when it comes to transactions with real world money, but the website doesn't give any reason why an account is nonfunctional, their FAQ needs to be updated as it seems this was written five years ago and have not updated with any new changes, and their email response system makes no god damn sense. Why send an email of the top FAQ related to a topic when that person was just there? And finally why is their verification process so buggy? When I need to verify myself, why do I need an auto-response email about FAQs in regards to verification? Vemno was decent as a transaction company but now I will avoid it at all costs.

Original review: March 20, 2022

I have been a business owner for the past 17 years. Recently I began accepting payments through Venmo from my customers. Since that time, I have lost money (over $200.00) due to not knowing that I had to complete transfers to my account. I have also had multiple people pay my business for services performed by another business. There is no easy way to transfer these funds to the rightful owner. My most recent experience was someone sent money to me intended to pay another business and this time Venmo charged a fee.

When I refunded the owner the money back, I had to take the Venmo deduction off which makes it look like I kept the fee. I will definitely not use Venmo for accepting or sending payments again in the future. I guarantee that there are people and businesses out there that are not as honest as I and I am sure that there is a lot of money not going to the right places. We all need to work together to keep this world honest. On another note, I have tried to close my account to keep this from happening and have not found an easy way to do that either. Be careful with your money.

Original review: March 20, 2022

I attempted to install Venmo and received an error several times. I located the "Contact Us" tab to find out it's really Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ). It takes you to multiple screens with questions and answers. After several attempts I located a fill in the blank menu that you can submit to get help. It took two days to return an email. I never located a telephone number and was trying to purchase a puppy and needed help that day. I will say in the email response they included a telephone number. I decided to live without VENMO, I was surely mad and it reminded me of the PayPal responsiveness to fraud. Same company they don't want to deal with customers. There are good companies that offer a telephone numbers easily found.

Original review: March 17, 2022

Please read all reviews before deciding to use Venmo. I was a loyal Venmo user of nearly 10 years, one day they froze my account for "suspicious activity". When I tried to dispute they wouldn't tell me what suspicious activity they saw. Now, people can still send me money via Venmo, I just can't access it. You'll read this story countless times if you read all the reviews here.

Original review: March 13, 2022

Even though I have $600 in my Venmo balance, I cannot transfer that to my friend whom I owe rent. It has to deposit into my account, then pulled back out to then pay my roommate. What a waste of time. Deleting this app now.

Original review: March 6, 2022

OK, I was a very very loyal Venmo user. Well just recently I was disappointed with cancer... since I've had to quarantine. Well my account got frozen and I couldn't provided an updated ID. After speaking with a women at the top and providing proof of my cancer me in the hospital, a copy of my ID from work and my Venmo debit card, she assured me it wouldn't happen again due to my circumstances. Well a week later it happens again and during tax season where you know we're spending more than usual so I yet again send everything I did before... but now they are refusing to give me access. I had my federal return deposited, thank God I transferred when I did however my state of still will be going to that Venmo. I can't even go out for more than10 minutes... let alone go to the DMV. It's not ok. I literally have cancer and can't leave at the moment but I really needed that money... it's not right.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2022

I've had this issue before. This time I am writing a review. I try logging into the app and it says verification code sent but it never gets received (all other apps/financial institutions can get me a verification code nearly instantaneously). I try over and over again on my computer and phone but no luck. I contact customer support via their website. I notice that "not receiving verification code" is specifically mentioned on their site and phone line. I click on that and I get only a generic response that isn't helpful at all. It takes them days to respond. I call their phone line hoping to get through to someone for quicker access to my money that is locked in their app. I go through the prompt and the machine tells me the only way to resolve the issue is to email their support site. I get stuck there again.

I frequently try to log in on the app and always get help upon needing a verification code. Days after initially trying to log in, I was able to get into the app with just the user name and password. No verification code was needed. I start the process to transfer all of my cash out of Venmo and then I look into how I can close the account due to horrible service. It turns out that you can not close the account via the phone app. A computer is needed. I try logging into the Venmo website and I get held up again on needing a verification code. This is where I'm at now. I can't close my venmo account because venmo doesn't seem to be capable of delivering a verification code via sms. The app was great only if I never logged out. Trying to log in or dealing with their customer service is a nightmare.

Venmo Company Information