Suntrust Mortgage
1.08/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Suntrust Mortgage

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Suntrust Mortgage Reviews

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

Due to escrow re-balancing, I short paid two months by $130 each month. Suntrust indicated that they didn't know what to do with my money because it was not for the exact amount so they held on to both payments and sent them back to me in check form. They sent me a letter which indicated that a payment had not been received, and to disregard if a payment had been sent. Mine had, so I disregarded. They then reported me 30 days past due to the credit bureaus. Any attempt and complaint has had not admission of fault on their part and everything is my issue. Customer service is zero with this company. Run far and fast from them if you can, I had no choice.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

SunTrust treated my loan dishonestly and fraudulently, to the point they were forced to send me money for their fraudulent behaviour. I am still dealing with the repercussions of their fraud for over 10 years. If you value your future, avoid any business dealings with them like the plague!

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

Do NOT go to this messed up company for a mortgage. Run the other way. I paid off a mortgage when I sold my house in July, and have been trying for 5 days to get them to send a simple declaration letter to my lawyer stating the loan is paid in full so that I can close on another property. They can’t get it done. My last attempt at this was just two hours ago. I asked them to send the letter to myself, my wife and the lawyer’s office, as well as to the lawyer’s fax number. Even after reading the email addresses back to me over the phone to be sure they were correct, they still misspelled two of the three addresses.

And when I did get the one email, after a convoluted process of opening the message, replying to it (required part of the process), setting up an account (required) with Cisco, and a few more hoops to jump through, the only content to the email was a privacy disclosure. AND IT HAS BEEN THIS WAY FOR THE ENTIRE 14 YEARS I HAD THE MORTGAGE! I suppose I will try again tomorrow since I am done (after 3 hours of trying) tonight.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

I've had a SunTrust mortgage since 2012 and it's been nothing but problems with them. My latest problem is trying to get them to remove the PMI from my loan. My loan is down to 77.9% LTV but they somehow keep saying my LTV is 83.3% and won't show me how they're coming to that value, even though I've showed them my home value/currently loan value gets me to 77.9%. I just turned them into the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau again for non-compliance. I hate SunTrust but for some reason they won't just sell my loan to another company.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2019

I would never attempt to apply for a home mortgage loan again. Before I could complete my application my husband and I credit was ran without notice. We had not submitted anything. Before they arrived at a decision. We had not made a choice if we were going to use them or not. I'm very upset because we had other options. And what really pissed me off is that we both are with Suntrust. And I myself used this branch since 18 yrs of age, before they were even Suntrust.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Suntrust?

Original review: July 10, 2019

My wife and I decided to go with Suntrust because we were told they offered us many flexible ways to pay our mortgage. For example we could make partial payments ahead of time as long as the full mortgage amount was paid before the due date. We worked with their Cary NC office and we had to jump through so many hoops. Every day it’s was another email or phone call from someone wanting information we had already provided. Their people have no clue who had requested what. Even though we were supposed to work with one person we were handed off to many other people only to have to resubmit documents over and over.

Well fast forward several months and I have been paying our mortgage payment on the 15th and 31st. I was paying just over half of the required payment each time so we ended up paying more than the required amount every month. I get an email today saying my account is past due. In talking with their customer service they say “Oh, no you can either make the full payment or setup on our website a payment for half every two weeks.” When you ask to speak to someone above the person you are talking to they say “sorry that person doesn’t take calls” so I say, "Great. I’ll leave a message. Can you have them call me back?" They say “no they don’t call customers back.” Find someone else to get your mortgage through. They are terrible.

Original review: July 3, 2019

I recently opened a business account with Suntrust and was in the process of opening a home equity line of credit with another bank when I was informed by one of the CSR's that Suntrust could meet or beat the bank I was using rates and they have quicker closing time frames. So I cancelled my current application thinking hey I may just move all my accounts to Suntrust and started the HELOC with Suntrust. Now don't get me wrong. I am leaving my business account there for the time being and the CSR I started with has been great but the underwriters and the mortgage dept have been nothing short of a nightmare.

It's been over 30 days now and they have lost my personal and financial documents 4 different times and keep having different people call me asking the same questions and asking for the same docs. It's rather frustrating. My credit is perfect and I've been at my current job for over 15 years and in the same field for over 30 years so I am to believe that it is simply bad training or no care at all for client relations but either way I have decided to not proceed with Suntrust any further for my HELOC and will consider moving my business account to another institution at a later date. So just a friendly word of advice, think and read reviews on Suntrust before proceeding with them for anything.

Original review: June 19, 2019

I have been a Suntrust customer since 2003. Now i've made my April 2019 mortgage payment on April 2nd, it was drawn out by Suntrust on April 4, 2019. On the 12th of April I get mail stating that my April payment was pulled back by my bank for insufficient funds. I immediately go to my bank and they assured me no such thing has happened. I call Suntrust, now it goes to research. First off, I can never talk to research directly unless they call me. When I call the attempt to collect a debt dept. they are the go between for me and research. Sooo frustrating. So when the research dept. calls me I assure them my bank did not recall the payment. Reason is that they always paid anything and if i was overdrawn i would pay it back with a penalty, second is that there was several hundred $ over the mortgage amount. I paid this on Suntrusts website and it even shows on THEIR site that April's payment went thru.

My bank statement shows that SunTrust was paid. So since April 12th Suntrust research has called me numerous times requesting Data Transaction sheet and my monthly statement for April 2019. I have sent these requests every time they have asked for them. How many times do you need a Data Transaction Sheet? i've had conference calls 3 times with my personal bank and Suntrust in which they requested the Data transaction sheet. Once I was on vacation on a beach in the Gulf of Mexico. Now here it is June 19,2019 and they still insist my bank pulled the money back. I don't have the money Suntrust has it, everything i've given them says they have the money.

I got a call today in which research is asking for both sides of the paper check that shows the bank paid it, I said lady it was an electronic payment on your website. There is no papercheck. She assured me the bank would pay Suntrust with a paper check... are you friggin kidding me? So I said i will call my bank and ask for a paper check that doesn't exist. So I called my bank and the gracious lady sort of laughed and said, "I am 99.9% sure there is no paper check but I will check just to make sure." Now mind you this particular women at my bank has been helping me with this nightmare since day 1. Well she came back on and said, "We do not send paper checks to businesses for electronic payments. I am at my wits end with these people. I am pretty sure I've talked with every employee in research, which mind you have each and everyone asked me for all the same papers over, and over again.

Suntrust has pushed me to my last nerve. That's why I am here today. I did get to leave a msg with the Manager today about this insanity. It's the old saying "if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck". Well if all the evidence says that the payment was made to Suntrust, and there's NO EVIDENCE that it wasn't paid, or given back to me.... then it MUST HAVE BEEN PAID!! So if somehow Suntrust lost the payment in their system, why is that my problem? I just read something online that their system was disrupted somehow. Maybe that's what happened. SO here I am waiting for a call back from research so i can tell them that there is no paper check on an electronic payment, and I'm waiting to see if the manager calls me after he hears the msg I left him, or her. I didn't cuss or yell, i expressed my frustration over the insanity of this all, and that I want to have this matter closed asap.

Next i will try to contact the regional manager if that's possible. I have lost sleep, appetite, ruined 2 days of my vacation, fought with my wife, all for what? I know this, when this issue is resolved I am going to try to refinance my house as far away from Suntrust as I can get. I have sent them the Data Transaction Sheet for the date in question April 4th 2019 3 times, the bank has sent it to them 3 times, I have sent my monthly statement for April to them 3 times. I am tired of complying with them. Now they want a copy of a papercheck (both sides) for an electronic payment. Is it me? Or am I blind? Should I get a lawyer and sue for physical and mental anguish?

Original review: June 15, 2019

My mortgage was sold to Suntrust from Wells Fargo. For the last 6 months I have had nothing but stress and problems with Suntrust, returning payments to me and then charging me late payments. And this past month I made 2 payments (May and June) and they only applied one and put rest to principal when I had clearly stated on my check for 2 payments of (and the amount of each regular payment). I have talked to them on phone and emailed, and so far nothing has been done (over a week now). Still get phone calls letting me know my June payment hasn't been made. They won't correct their own mistakes. I am so sick and tired of their bullcrap. Advise...go somewhere else if you're looking for a loan with the people.

Original review: June 12, 2019

My wife and I spent almost 2 months replying to all of Suntrust's requests and were told 3 days before closing that we had no deal. This was due to poor employee training, out of state appraisers, and a business model with no room for "outside of the box" situations. We did not appreciate being dragged along for so long just to have the deal go bad right before closing. We will be starting over with a local mortgage provider that puts the customer first and withdrawing all of our money from the various Suntrust accounts that we have.

Suntrust Mortgage Company Information