Suntrust Mortgage
1.16/5
Based on 263 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a mortgage lender?

Suntrust Mortgage

349 Suntrust Mortgage Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I have been in a perpetual limbo for two months since I made the mistake of choosing Suntrust. The originator did not bother to speak to me about what type of loan I needed or how much down payment I was bringing or any of the details common during pre-approval. I received loan documents to sign with numbers that did not reflect anything I had applied for or even what was on the home contract. No one helped me correct the info. There has been little communication and when you ask questions you get unclear short email responses that avoid direct explanation.

The one time I received a phone call, it ended with someone telling me they would pass it along to their supervisor. I've been charged 500 dollars for an appraisal and it came back great. After waiting for any contact call after the appraisal, I was sent a vague letter that simply stated they were canceling the loan and I can request to know why. I am in pristine financial position to purchase and I've been delayed months due to waiting on any sort of information on what part of my process the loan is stuck on. Absolute garbage customer service. They should not be in the business of home loans. I hope no one else has to experience this.

Original review: July 14, 2018

I have a mortgage with Suntrust for about 12 years. At first they seemed to be customer service oriented but lately that has changed drastically. I was in the process of a divorce and was selling the house. The taxes and insurance are not in escrow. Paid the taxes late and have been fighting with Suntrust to stop trying to setup an escrow account. Twice they've setup an escrow, several calls and emails to get it removed. Now again they setup another escrow. The customer service is the worst. Sometimes you get someone that will help but it takes days and several attempts to get anything done. Selling the house and will never do anything with Suntrust bank again.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I have had 2 mortgages with Suntrust and UP UNTIL NOW, have been very satisfied. However, the insurance department has been AWFUL! My issue began after FEMA increased our flood premium from $500 to $2500 per year. We followed the necessary steps to have this reviewed and received an map amendment letter from FEMA specifying our zone which is a low risk. This took only a couple of weeks. I initially contacted Suntrust in March with this information and was told that we were no longer required to carry the flood policy. Suntrust stated it would take about 60 days to process and then we would receive a letter that could be presented to our insurance company to initiate a refund.

However, it has now been 3 months and no follow up has occurred from Suntrust. After SEVERAL phone calls (that take 15 minutes to get through the automated responses before you get a live person), I requested to speak to a supervisor. I was told no one was available, but someone would call back within 24 hours. I called Customer Service hoping someone would care about my satisfaction, but was transferred right back to the insurance department which gave me the same reply. I have very little faith that someone will call me today or that this will be resolved, so I'm exploring REFI options!

Original review: June 13, 2018

This is the worst mortgage company, please save yourself from the trouble and find a different company. I’ve been trying to refinance my home with them for about 3 months, they kept going back and forth needing papers and needing more information. Fast forward 3 months, I had spoke with about 30 people explaining my situation to each of them and they kept passing me to other people. My last loan officer which was the worst one yet was named Jerdon ** and his assistant that knew nothing about my case was named Cherice **. We were finally approved with them and were set for our closing cost on June 5th at 5 pm. They came to do the closing and we were almost set just had to sign the last paper which had a name typo so we couldn’t continue forward. That made our new closing date the following day on June 6th at 5 pm.

Around 5:30, it was getting late so I tried contacting my loan officer to see if he had changed the date or time. He did not answer as usual, he never did, or returned back any of my calls. I go to email him and he had sent me a email at 4:50 pm, the day of my closing AND said we can not do the refinance with them as we were no longer approved and we’d have to cancel the whole thing. This was 10 minutes BEFORE my closing, that he decided to let me know I can not do the mortgage with them after wasting nearly 3 months going back and forth with signing papers and getting more information and talking to different representatives. At NO POINT did any of them mention anything about me not being approved and they all said everything looked fine and we were set for the closing.

So basically they wasted my time for 3 months and money for 2 appraisals (because the first one wasn’t done right) and also money I had paid to my previous lender for 2 months of mortgage and fees in advanced so we could do the closing. I feel like this isn’t something they should have waited until the last 10 minutes before the day of the closing to tell me, and just day before had there not been a name typo on the paper we could have signed. I have been trying to get a hold of my loan officer and his manager since that day because for everyday that passes my old lender will charge me almost $400 in interest because we did not do the closing on time.

So my wonderful loan officer Jerdon, just left me stranded basically owning more money and solving nothing and won’t even answer me. I also talked to another person named Sabrina ** whom said she would take care of everything for me and now won’t answer my calls either or when she does pick up and she hangs up so I am very disappointed with Suntrust mortgage and would not recommend them at all.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I have had nothing but positive experience with Suntrust mortgage. Have had it since 2005. We have had a great relationship. They send the bills and I make the payments.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Suntrust?

Original review: May 15, 2018

I first contacted Suntrust Mortgage Home Preservation Department in November of 2017 to explain that my 92 yr old father was now in a nursing home and would no longer be living in his house and that as the Power of Attorney I wanted to talk to someone about options. They requested a copy of the POA before they could talk to me. I immediately mailed it to them. This is where the problems began. Every time you call in or you get a call from them it is a different person who you have to explain the situation each time. I have probably talked to 25 different people. Then when you do get a rep assigned to you it changes constantly, I have had four since this all started.

After they received the POA, I was told they would not provide any assistance other than a Deed in Lieu or it go into foreclosure. I told them I would like to start the Deed in Lieu process. In the meantime I continued to try and sell the property. After talking to a different person every time I called which I usually had to do for an update, or they called me I finally received in the mail a Borrower's Inquiry packet which I filled out completely and returned in their FedEx envelope. I used their checklist to make sure that I had returned everything and it was filled out correctly. Since I had already provided them a copy of the POA and they had been discussing this with me, I was told by client rep# 1, that I did not have to include it.

I was then contacted by client rep #2, that told me there was numerous documents missing that I needed to provide and I needed to provide a copy of the POA. This was now the second POA. So, even though I sent the documents they stated were missing and they had a POA since November 2017 and this was February I went ahead and mailed everything requested to them. I get a call from my client rep # 2 who stated that they now had a complete packet including the POA and that underwriting would review and send me a letter with their decision. I then received a letter stating that the Deed in Lieu had been approved as long as I complied with the letter and had the house vacant and secure by April 18, 2018 and that I could have utilities disconnected on April 22, 2018. I also had to send back the acceptance letter of the terms. So I complied with everything within the specified timeframe.

I followed up seven days later and was told I would be receiving another packet where I would sign over the deed to the house. Then, two weeks after I had complied with the April 18th and 22nd date, I get a call from yet another Client Representative # 3 stating that they could not move forward with the Deed in Lieu because they did not have a copy of the POA! This is now three times they have lost this document... I explained to her that it had been sent twice and that it was part of the complete packet that my previous client rep had called me and told me they had. She kept insisting that they didn't have it. So I finally got really upset and insisted she go look for it. Well she did and she found that one and probably the other's previously sent... So we were good to go at that point. But not after me sending many emails and calling in asking for a supervisor who I never was able to talk to nor would they ever call me back.

So now, the house has been vacant and ready for them to send me the paperwork to sign the deed over and I get a call from a client rep, by the way is not even my client representative, I have a new client rep # 4, who I have never talked to nor will she call me after sending her many emails requesting a call. The client rep stated that the Deed in Lieu would not move forward unless I recorded the POA at the courthouse! This was the first time since November of 2017 that I had heard anything about that. It was not even part of the packet instructions to be in compliance. They approved the Deed in Lieu without it being recorded and then in the final hour throws this at me.

I do not live in the area and it will cost $21.00 to $35.00 to record it when no other government agency or any other bank has required it. I finally got so upset this rep put a supervisor on the phone on May 10th who said he would look into this and see if he could get this process finalized and either he or the other supervisor would call me back on the 11th. Well this is May 15th and I have heard nothing. If I check the status on the automated it states there are several documents missing and I will receive a letter with instructions, it has been almost 4 weeks since they told me this and nothing.

I have called numerous time on the May 14th and 15th trying to talk to someone and I am on hold for literally 40 - 45 minutes or longer if I would hold. I tried the option 1 to leave a message and that just disconnects me or nothing happens. I emailed my client rep on May 14th and then again May 15th asking her to call me. Nothing! I don't even know what to do if I did record the POA as far as contacting someone to tell them etc. I cannot believe the way this was handled, I was trying to expedite the process and do the right thing for both my father and Suntrust. There are some real issues in this department and the staff and procedures. Suntrust is losing money on this. If they would get this process finished and put it on the market they could sell it now and not lose any money.

I have tried to get a phone number for corporate Suntrust to talk to someone about how the Home Preservation Department handles things. I can't find one so it appears corporate does not care so they do not take calls. It is a shame because my father who is a 3 time war vet and is 94 years old had never I mean never missed a payment with them. I tried for over 7 months to sell this house but it just was not the right market. I would never recommend Suntrust to anyone, ever. If someone did contact me from Suntrust I would be glad to provide every person's name, date and time I have talked to.

Original review: May 15, 2018

Unless you enjoy incompetence and stressful experiences do not engage in any activity with Suntrust Mortgage. After weeks of submitting and resubmitting the very same paperwork I was told we were heading to closing. The day before closing I received a phone call from someone in a call center to say my loan had been declined! I cannot put in words the bizarre experiences I had dealing with the loan processors. The entire process was a nightmare!!

Original review: April 30, 2018

My folks had their mortgage with SUNTRUST for years. Three years ago my father passed leaving me the executor of the estate. My first experience working with SUNTRUST (nightmare) wasn’t healthy. I found out the folks were paying 6.5% interest and at the time interest rates had dropped to 2.5-2.9%. I tried SUNTRUST to work with us to change her interest rate, which would have saved mom about $200-300 a month...

After reading the different reviews I found that I wasn’t the only one who has difficulty dealing with SUNTRUST and my complaint is the same: didn’t receive the documents, or (something I don’t understand is a company whose inter-office network doesn’t communicate) paperwork in one office is not share with another facility within SUNTRUST. After two years I got her mortgage refinanced to 2.9%... but not without costing me an extra $50 in certified mailings so I would have proof of them receiving the documents.

This past year they have billed the estate an extra $120 for “late fees and other fees” and I have written for an explanation why and not response. Oct-Nov were late, but I included the late fees; I was charged a late fee in December because they returned the cashier's cheque. I did receive a notice of a missed payment in December and I returned the rejected cheque in January 2018 and it was cashed... uuummm!!! Now mom passed in September 2017 and we are going through this whole mess of dealing with SUNTRUST again. I thankful that dad and mom had their things in order, only wishing SUNTRUST had theirs in order... not a satisfied customer!

Original review: April 26, 2018

We are so upset with this new mortgage company we were forced to move to. We pay all our bills at or around the same time each month. SunTrust has charged us numerous late fees when our bank sends via mail our bill days on time and long before the final due date (no electronic payment with our bank and ST). Just this last month, our bank sent the check on April 3rd. ST cashed it on the 19th so we were charged another late fee. Our final date on the contact says the check must be in ST hands, not cashed, by the 16th without a late fee.

ST is the ONLY bill that arrives up to 16 days after it is mailed. All the other bills paid by the bank take on average 2-4 days to arrive across the country. When I called ST, I got nowhere. One manager said it was the PO or our bank that causes the delay. I asked if I could get all what he told me in writing, but the manager (I have his name and ID and a witness to the conversation) said ST does NOT allow the conversation to be sent via email or in writing. WOW!!!

Original review: April 25, 2018

My loan was sold to Union Bank, I was not notified until I got a call from Union Bank asking where my payment was. I have proof I made it to Suntrust but they did not forward to new bank. There is no way to contact them other than online and they have not responded to multiple requests. When you call the customer service line and go through all the prompts to get a live person it sends you to another voicemail asking you to enter your box number which is ridiculous. I have the funds to make another payment to Union Bank and have done so, but what about the families who don't? These guys should be forced to have a number where you get live help. It is not okay.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Suntrust bought my mortgage, so I only have experience with P&I payments and paying off the loan--I can't review their underwriters, etc. I did not use them for escrow, so I can't comment on their handling of that, either. I aggressively paid down my loan for the last year, sending them large payments with a few months over $10k. They received those payments as a direct payment from my checking account just fine. But on the final month, they rejected my payment and sent no notice to me. I called them inquiring about it because I didn't see my balance go to zero. I was told that they had received my final payment, congratulated me on paying it off, and it should take a day or two to post. It didn't post.

Instead, they have a policy that any payoff amount greater than $5k would only be accepted if it was done by wire. They blamed the reason for that on "costs to close the account." If that were true, then they wouldn't require it for final payments less than $5k. And it wasn't a problem for my earlier large payments--they accepted and cashed those just fine. If I had instead paid (as usual) all but $1 and then paid (as usual) a final payment of $1, everything would have been fine and I wouldn't have needed to buy a wire.

In the end, I had to pay a bit more interest, which isn't really a big deal. They couldn't confirm when they could receive a wire, so I had to pay more and then wait two weeks for the extra to be refunded. Also, that doesn't really bother me too much. Once they got the wire, they took care of everything, sent me my refund, etc., properly. However, the simple practice of discouraging people from paying off their loan, making it difficult to do so, not informing me of rejection of my payment, having employees who don't know the rule, and then told me bad information that my payment had been received IS a problem.

Another problem is their online security. I had an online account with password which they decided wasn't good enough. I don't care for companies going to stupid lengths for passwords because when they are hacked it's not because people didn't use special characters, capitals, greek letters, or emojis. It's because the company's system is breached and individuals' passwords are stolen. Also, their 'security' questions were entirely made up things I couldn't answer or the answer might change over time. How am I supposed to remember what my favorite food was decades after signing up for an account? What it tells me is they don't actually care about real security or user experience. They were given some generic advice & probably a bad list of security questions and rolled it out without even reviewing or testing it. In the end, I don't like them or trust them. I will not do business with them again.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I have a fixed rate with this company, for the last few years they have been raising my monthly payment. 2017 they increased it twice. I called. They claimed it to be the insurance, I called the insurance company they said my insurance did go up slightly but not enough to make a big difference, they changed a couple of things which dropped my yearly insurance of less than $200. I called Suntrust back, informed them of the change in order to lower my monthly payment, instead of lowering my payment, they increased it, WOW.

Extra money has been paid towards my account to help bring the balance down, the extra money paid never went towards my principal. My escrow account keeps coming up short, they take money from my escrow that is used for paying my homeowners insurance and taxes which leaves my escrow account in the neg. This has been going on for a while, I have called and called and called in order to get it taken care of, it's nothing but an argument with them, they get me so upset and angry I cannot longer call them. Today my escrow is short again and they are saying that my mortgage is going up again in Jan 2018. I bought my home in 1995, since Suntrust taken over my loan it has been nothing but a nightmare. Is there any good attorneys out there that can help with this and stop Suntrust for extorting people such as myself.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Interest rates are high and they have high fees. They required closing cost on refinancing as well as a down payment and application fee. The escrow account is never calculated right.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

In May, we wrote a contract for a house financed by Suntrust Mortgage. The bank had an approved price of $675k, and we offered $649k which was a very reasonable offer considering comparables. The short sale processor said it typically takes 2-3 months for an approval, so we literally went homeless for a month as we had sold our home July 25th and were anticipating a closing date of August 25th on our short sale home. Throughout those 3 months Suntrust lacked in answering calls and responding to messages left and lacked in giving the short sale processor or seller updates on the process. Instead I believe our contract sat on someone's desk for 3 months untouched. I say this because around August 30th, we received a letter stating that a short sale negotiator had been assigned to us on behalf of the townhome we had sold a month before and no longer owned.

After much digging, Suntrust admitted that since our previous loan had been with Suntrust, the mortgage employees inadvertently sent the short sale paperwork to a file for us and not the seller. Obviously this didn't help move the process along either. That should have been our sign to leave since there was that much incompetence at the bank that they confuse the seller and buyer in the short sale process.

We then continued waiting another 1.5 months only for them to tell us they will only take a sales price of minimum 720k. Then why did the bank have the agent to list it at the price of 675k 4 months prior. There is no way, the house appreciated 45k in 4 months when fixtures have been removed, maintenance hasn't been done, and house prices have dropped. I am appalled at how unprofessional and unresponsive Suntrust is. They have put my family of 5 through quite the ordeal the last 4.5 months when they could have easily rejected the price from the beginning and saved my family many headaches. What a disgrace Suntrust Mortgage has been.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

I have been with SunTrust Mortgage for quite a few years and I'm one of those homeowners who was offered by them a modification to receive lower payments and a lower rate. So, I applied for a HAMP modification and they lost paperwork numerous times, told me to continue to resend documents that they received in overnights, faxes as well as emails. They finally acknowledged paperwork when I brought in other agencies to see what they were doing and violations being made.

Then they gave me a written trial modification that was never permanently modified due to them breaching the contract and service transferring me to Select Portfolio Servicing known as a Predatory Lender. I am definitely trying to locate an attorney for a class action lawsuit against this type of fraud and abuse. Feel free to email me if you need further information to protect your home from fraud and wrongful foreclosures. These banks are pretty horrible with the schemes to steal the homes that we've worked hard to own. Email: ** or call **.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

This starts with a Customer Svc woman in the payments group... no customer service skills AT ALL. Never once made a supportive comment towards me/Houston FB post: I've heard great things about folks being able to defer mortgages and other bills while Houston/families get back on their feet. It is one less thing to worry about. My company, Sun Trust mortgage, is a bunch of jerks (in case you have them). They will allow you to skip up to 3 months of payments but at the end of that you owe all 3 months plus the next month. What in Sam Hill does that do to help us free up cash to make it through this recovery mode??? What JERKS. Twitter: #SunTrustMortgageSUCKS #SunTrustMortgageDOESNThelpHarveySurvivors

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

Sun Trust Mortgage Company let my escrow expound account get completely empty & then raised my mortgage payment so much I could no longer afford it & had to sell my house & buy a cheaper one! Thanks a lot! I told my new lender if they sold my mortgage to Sun Trust I would sue them. They can sell it to anybody but Sun Trust.

Original review: July 7, 2017

For over five months the loan processor and I worked tirelessly to please the underwriter. I spent $ 3,415 for inspections and updates on a house that I was trying to purchase. After 5 extensions I finally received my congratulations letter and the final closing date. Two days before closing I received a call saying that the loan was denied by the underwriter. The processing manager's response was "Don't shoot the messenger". How could I pass every inspection and improvement on the house, have good credit, a steady income as a teacher for 25 years and be a risk? Are you kidding me? Suntrust has terrible underwriters who make you jump through every hoop and obstacle just to deny you after at all the time and money wasted on the loan process. Do not use Suntrust unless you have time and money you want to waste.

Original review: June 27, 2017

After paying off the Suntrust Mortgage Loan the standard response on getting a refund on the retained escrow account "Standard Procedure is 15 business days. After payoff you will be sent a check". There is no excuse for something like this other than loaning Suntrust interest free money. Doing business with Suntrust Mortgage has been a 14 year mistake!!!

Original review: May 15, 2017

Just had my home equity line up for renewal. They sent a rookie appraiser out who appraised $200k less than market value. Despite supporting documents from previous appraisals and recent sales, they wanted to reduce the line by $50k. I don't have a balance but use it for short term financing on real estate transactions. In a 15 year+ relationship, I have never missed a payment.

I have a credit score of 835, have had the line for 10 years, have banked with SunTrust all that time and they let an incompetent appraiser reduce my equity by $200k with the stroke of a pen and expect me to just accept it? I don't think so. Never mind that I have over $80,000 in cash in different accounts with them, and a business account that always has over $100k balance. I have a commercial mortgage coming up for renewal early next year... It's time to look for a bank that understands relationships. SunTrust is NOT it.

Original review: April 24, 2017

I simply ask SHENRIKA ** why you guys paid my insurance again in April when it is already paid in August 2016. I believe she doesn't know where to look for the answer so she become defensive and being unprofessional and instead of answering my question! The agent before her wasn't helpful as well. At this point I don't know why I am paying $115.52 instead of $960. I don't feel safe for this company to manage my most important assets. It's very frustrating!! And my insurance company Allstate customer service line just verifying they been overpaid but why? My insurance is not due until August 2017 and to have not make any change.

Original review: April 24, 2017

I tried to submit payments on their website then it says I'm late and I wasn't. But didn't let me submit because I'm so called "late." I called multiple times during their so called business hours and they can't take the call-a recording. Finally get a hold of them and made even an extra payment. They ask me why I couldn't pay, and do I need assistance. "No I've been trying to pay" I said. Not good enough so they reported it on my credit score and went from Excellent 700+ to 600+ "Fair and Needs work." All that just because they don't know how to accept a payment but then they get all active, add the late payment charges and report it as fast as they can. I'm going to attempt to refinance with another mortgage company BUT... kinda hard to do when they knocked my credit down.

Original review: April 7, 2017

Worst experience ever- Suntrust Mortgage Charlotte NC - Took weeks and weeks to supply their never ending paperwork requirements only to be denied. Then received an email from my initial contact person saying I should NOT have been denied and that the Underwriter manager would personally handle my file and "rush" it thru. Two more weeks go by and I'm finally contacted by another person who says my application has to start all over again and here is a giant list of required paperwork. I showed her the email from Suntrust where it said otherwise to her astonishment then another manager calls and says it doesn't matter what that email says. I have to start all over again.

I already have a mortgage with Suntrust with a family member and we have never been late in nine years. I am sure they just didn't want to give up my higher interest rate existing mortgage and did everything possible to delay and deny me. I have never been thru anything like this with a company and I've bought and sold a lot of real estate. Many heated words by myself and the manager ensued- I will NEVER use this company and hope the whole world knows they are liars and crooks.

Original review: March 28, 2017

This company is very dishonest. When an appraisal was ordered for 450$, they send a bill out for 750$ which was not the agreed upon amount. Once the appraisal came back to remove the MI, they would not remove it even though the numbers clearly showed the MI should not be charged anymore. Stay clear of this company!

Original review: March 24, 2017

After paying my mortgage promptly for 10 years, the mortgage was about to adjust and double the payment. I had become unemployed and unable to locate a tenant at all. I called Suntrust Mortgage multiple times to try and resolve the situation until the house could be sold to cover the mortgage. They basically ignored my requests, would not agree to any modifications and negatively impacted my credit report even though I had presented a short sale offer that they had yet to respond to. I went from an upper 700 credit score to upper 500 because of Suntrust Mortgage. All in all, I would say they are the last mortgage company you should go to when seeking a mortgage. They will not help you if you get in trouble and they will do everything to destroy your credit.

Original review: March 23, 2017

I recently spoke with Suntrust regarding refinancing. After disclosing comparative rates, I was informed by the loan agent that I should simply stick with my current loan with them, an interest only loan, with an adjustable rate. "Do the math" was his amused response. Really. Our credit scores are 804 and 760. The loan agent neither offered to refinance or negotiate a rate, simply spent time amusing himself, admonishing me and mocked me for wanting to pay down the note and get a 15 year fixed (duhh). The fact that he was from India was especially annoying, getting a lecture from a foreigner. Outsourcing... Another reason to avoid doing business with them. Keep it in the U.S.A. WTF. Speaks volumes about Suntrust and how they seem hell bent on driving away customers. Good luck with that.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2017

This is my second refinance with Suntrust. First one no problems. This time has been nothing but horrible. I signed up for bi-weekly auto payment however because only half a payment is made at a time my account always shows past due. I receive 3 or 4 phone calls every day and have also received two letters stating my account is past due. As a result my credit score has gone from 813 to 726 in just 2 months. Suntrust tells there is no issue. That is total BS. This is the worst bank ever to deal with. Once I find a good alternative I will pull all of my money from this bank.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2017

SunTrust bought our loan as of Dec 1. Having been in the real estate business for years and having heard the horror stories of sold and transferred mortgages and people finding themselves in foreclosure shortly thereafter, I made and kept meticulous notes on the transfer process. I had to sent a paper check for the December payment. Fine. I wanted to set up ACH payments ASAP, so I meticulously set up the paperwork. I received another letter stating my ACH payments would start Feb with a payment of **. Fine. In the fine print was another message saying they would also pull an additional principal only.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2017

Loan officer kept overlooking important details since the very beginning. His poor understanding of IRS tax law and subsequent ability to analyze tax return forms eventually costed me losing a house I wanted along with my security deposit. The bank would come up with their own ideas and assumptions despite providing the evidence of them not being accurate. My accounter spent hours educating him over the phone on certain nuances. However that did not work as well. I recommend to avoid dealing with Suntrust Mortgage department.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2017

Several years ago I obtained a mortgage via Suntrust at a time when a well respected colleague worked there. She left a couple of years later because she said the place was falling apart. Since then, every single transaction I have had with them is delayed, done wrong, or generally mismanaged. I would say that 4 out of every 5 employees are incompetent or the system is so messed up that employees can't make sense of it.

They are currently holding up my refinancing with another bank by refusing to send paperwork showing that my equity line has been paid and closed. They say, "we meet the letter of the state law and we can delay this release for 30 to 60 days if we want." They are either chronically behind, understaffed or intentionally forcing me to pay them two additional mortgage payments before the refinancing can take place. Then they try to pressure you into refinancing with them. It doesn't matter if you deal with them online or go to a local branch, none of them seems to know what he/she is doing. It's not a bank; it's a racket.

Not sure about Suntrust Mortgage?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Mortgage Lenders for you.

Suntrust Mortgage Company Information

Suntrust
    303 Peachtreet St, N.E.
    Atlanta
    GA
    www.suntrust.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business