Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!
  2. Mortgages

Suntrust Mortgage

Suntrust Mortgage
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.17/5

Suntrust Mortgage Reviews

Original review: March 16, 2020

I have had similar experiences as a number of people that have written in. It first started with an increase in my escrow payment, which I did not know although the representative with whom I spoke stated that they sent out a letter (which I did not receive). Letters that followed, however, have been received...and they are telling me that if I have trouble paying I should contact some agency for help. I do not need help, but every month these letters come. I have called them to no avail. They returned checks to me because I was $30 short. Instead of sending a request for the $30, I had returned checks and Overdue Notices.

This situation was finally remedied after two months and numerous phone conversations during which they agreed that they were culpable. Also, I have always taken advantage of the 15-day grace period but am now receiving dunning phone calls saying that my payment is late...and the letters... My mortgage on one property will be paid up on April 2022, but the other mortgage will be paid up several years later. If things persist, I will be looking to refinance ANYWHERE else.

My problems really started when BB&T and SunTrust merged and became Truist. I never had any issues before that and no desire to move either of my mortgages anywhere else. A word of caution: Look elsewhere if you want to be treated like a valued customer!

Original review: March 13, 2020

Over the 25 plus years we have dealt with this mortgage company, there were times we were not pleased. However they made sure the matter was solved to our satisfaction! We would recommend this company to our friends, and use them again if we needed them!

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 11, 2020

I got a bill for 2018 saying the were late and there was a lien on my home. I pay an escrow payment each month to cover this. They are investigating but it can take up to two weeks. Meanwhile there are fees growing on the account each day. The amount they say they did pay wasnt even the amount of my tax bill. I will never have another mortgage with Suntrust that's for sure.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

I have been a Suntrust customer for 10 years with excellent credit.. I just tried to get a loan with Nell **. She is a rude lady that tries to profile people.. I own a small business. She was acting like I was a drug dealer... I am in fact a retired 30 year police taking my money somewhere else... Bye.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

My husband and I purchased a 2 year old vehicle in Dec of 2018, and paid it off within a year. We went to purchase the same model, but one year newer and Suntrust indicated we have poor credit with them, when, in fact we do not. They purchased the mortgage on our rental property many years ago. So AFTER they reported us as falsely, they sent us a letter offering to give us a vehicle loan in the amount we were seeking. Luckily, it didn't affect us getting a loan as we've purchased about a dozen vehicles from this dealership.

More recently, I paid the mortgage on the 3rd of this month, the same day that I paid the mortgage on our primary residence. I always pay both mortgage payments at the same time. Chase posted the payment within 48 hours. It's been ten days now, and Suntrust STILL has not posted this payment as having been made. I could go on and on. What is troubling is that even if you don't get your original mortgage through them, banks buy and sell loans all the time and you may get stuck with them without having a say so. BAD COMPANY!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Suntrust?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

I've been banking with SunTrust for years and they have found any way possible to make it seem my payments are delinquent. They are unbelievably crooked and have a flawed partial payment system which screws the borrower. They claim I owe 2 months mortgage when in reality I'm just short 62.00. Humans make mistakes but SunTrust takes it to a whole new level. If you're just short 5 dollars they will say they whole payment is delinquent. No matter how much I pay to straighten out the account it's still delinquent to them and they mail back the payments. They now have me in collections for 1728.00 and I only owe 62.00. Stay away from these crooks, please!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

They don't follow the policies or information printed with the loan information. Their "amazing" customer service reps argue that the statement you're holding in your hand & what is says in the FAQ on the website are wrong. Looking to refinance and get away from SunTrust.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

I should have known this was going to a huge mistake during the application process. Every day my loan rep was calling requiring something else. Fast forward to 23 years later and I still regret using SunTrust Mortgage! I was running behind on my mortgage and they will not assist you at all! I made two payments in January and a few days later they reversed the payments and held my money for 7 months. They forclosed the property and refused any payment all year while I tried to get the loan modified. After holding my money for 7 months, they finally applied it to my account in August! They are horrible! Don't ever get your mortgage with SunTrust, especially a 30 year mortgage!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

I’ve been a customer of Suntrust for over 20 years. My mortgage is currently with Quicken Loans. I decided to refinance my loan in August 2019 and submitted my request via their online portal and completed all of the necessary information including bank statements, mortgage statement, tax returns, proof of insurance, etc... I received a call from the loan specialist assigned to me who asked then I submit another loan request and upload all of the information I had already submitted to the site again. I was irritated but I already had all of the information readily available and resubmitted the data.

A couple of weeks went by and I received an email that my loan was being sent to underwriting and assigned another representative who would handle my loan through the closing process. After four weeks of receiving requests ranging from documenting that my neighborhood association fee of $100 per year was voluntary and was not a homeowners association fee (it took all four weeks for them to accept that) to questioning PayPal payments to my lawn guy, my rep informed me she would be on vacation the next week and handed me off to another rep who would keep things moving forward in her absence.

Basically nothing was accomplished during week five and when my rep returned from vacation I received no communication from her until I sent her an email requesting an update. She confirmed my loan was approved and was working on scheduling my closing date. On Thursday of the sixth week I was told that Friday was my assigned rep's last day and I would have a new rep to finish out my loan process. I waited a couple of days with no contact from my new rep so I sent another email asking for an update on my closing date. She responding that she need additional information regarding my banking transactions.

I am not a wealthy person. My FICA credit score is well over 800 and I’ve never bounced a check in my 20 years as a customer of Suntrust. My deposits were around $100,000 and other than my home loan have absolutely no debt. I’m currently in the process of starting a new banking relationship with a bank that appreciates my business. It’s obvious that Suntrust doesn’t.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

Due to escrow re-balancing, I short paid two months by $130 each month. Suntrust indicated that they didn't know what to do with my money because it was not for the exact amount so they held on to both payments and sent them back to me in check form. They sent me a letter which indicated that a payment had not been received, and to disregard if a payment had been sent. Mine had, so I disregarded. They then reported me 30 days past due to the credit bureaus. Any attempt and complaint has had not admission of fault on their part and everything is my issue. Customer service is zero with this company. Run far and fast from them if you can, I had no choice.

Suntrust Mortgage Company Information