Find a Mortgages partner

Suntrust Mortgage

3.8/5 (218 ratings)
Find a Mortgages partner
Banner image

Looking to refinance your mortgage?

See which lender is best for you!

View Rates

About Suntrust Mortgage

SunTrust (now Truist) is a bank with a full range of online services, as well as in-store offerings in select locations nationwide. SunTrust provides multiple mortgage types, refinancing and other loan options. You can apply online for its standard and unconventional mortgage products.

Pros

• Online application
  • Standard and unconventional loans
  • Multiple loan types

Cons

• Unclear terms
  • Limited information online

Bottom Line

SunTrust offers standard and unconventional mortgages, refinancing and other loans. While its application terms and requirements are unclear, its online application makes it easy to get started if you need a mortgage.

Banner image

Looking to refinance your mortgage?

See which lender is best for you!

View Rates

What is SunTrust?

SunTrust is an American banking company that offers multiple types of mortgage and refinancing options. It was named one of the 2019 Best Mortgage Lenders by NerdWallet for its refinancing and loan options with low and no down payments. It employs local loan officers and provides online applications so you can easily and conveniently get started on the mortgage borrowing process.

SunTrust mortgage types and services

SunTrust offers several mortgage options. Its most popular programs include fixed-rate mortgages and FHA, VA and USDA loans. Its more specialized loans include a loan program for doctors and dentists, premier loans for high-income earners in expensive neighborhoods and affordable financing for low-income buyers. It also offers refinancing for qualified applicants.

Potential homebuyers can easily apply online with SunTrust or in person with the help of its loan officers. The online application is intuitive and easy to use, and it walks you through every step.

SunTrust mortgage rates

Mortgage rates change daily — sometimes multiple times within a day. This makes understanding specific loan rates and affordability difficult, but as of publication, SunTrust’s rates were fairly competitive, ranging from 2.9% to 4.6%. SunTrust also offers discount points for lower rates and more affordable payments. Its rate calculator lets you estimate your costs at any given time.

SunTrust mortgage FAQ

Where is SunTrust available?
SunTrust doesn’t disclose where its services are available on its website. If you’re interested in its mortgages, contact a representative to see if it services your area.
Does SunTrust offer refinancing?
Yes. SunTrust offers interest rate reduction refinancing for veterans and cash-out refinancing.
Does SunTrust sell its loans?
This is unclear. The SunTrust site doesn’t mention whether or not it sells its loans.
What mortgage payment options does SunTrust offer?
SunTrust offers a few payment options, including one-time payments, SurePay recurring payments and biweekly mortgage plans. You can easily pay online if you have a SunTrust bank account.

Is SunTrust a good mortgage company?

SunTrust is a nationally known company in the financial industry. Its interest rates seem comparable to other banks’, and its more specialized loan programs, like those for doctors and entrepreneurs, might be ideal for certain borrowers. However, its specific loan terms are difficult, if not impossible, to find, and other general info is pretty limited, so it’s probably wise to contact a loan officer directly for more support and information.

Suntrust Mortgage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Suntrust Mortgage?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Suntrust (Now Truist)?

Original review: May 21, 2021

Numerous hours on the phone with SunTrust. Paid off my loan early due to poor customer service. It has been 93 days and still have not received a lien release in clear violation of State law. Complaints filed with the CFPB and the State Attorney General. I would never use this company again.

Original review: March 25, 2021

Waited on hold for literally 2 hours and 45 minutes. I could not wait any longer and had to hang up. Every minute or so recorded voice saying 'estimated wait time is 45 minutes to 1 hour'. Worst customer experience ever. Just disgusted.

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

Deborah ** was our loan officer. She was unorganized and unprofessional. I would not recommend this officer to anyone. She had very little knowledge of software Suntrust use for applicants, I asked to be reassigned to a new officer she disregarded my emails, I asked to be forwarded and contacted by her manager. She laughed and did not do so. Just nasty experience overall. Direct Loan Officer, NMLSR# ** at Trust Financial Corporation.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2021

My husband and I paid off our mortgage. After several weeks went by, we received no notice, release, etc. We called several times with no satisfaction. When we finally submitted a written request for our documents, we were informed electronic copies were the only documents we would receive and originals were destroyed. Where it may not be statutorily or state required, it would have been more appropriate to put the originals in the mail, instead of the shredder. These were important documents to us, clearly not to SunTrust. Leading up to this, my husband and I never had a good experience with SunTrust, even in branches. I would never recommend them, even if they are now re-branded as "Truist". This is a bank of unprofessionalism and not interested in their clients at all. My disappointment is truly complete.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

I have been attempted to speak with someone regarding my Mortgage. Each phone call I made, I was on hold for at least 2.5 hours. When I finally reached the department that I needed to speak with, the man quickly transferred me to a department that I had already spoke with that told me they couldn’t help me. Another 2.5 hours later, I reached a gentleman who was more social than the last, but who also couldn’t help me. He provided me with a different department’s phone number. FOUR AND A HALF HOURS ON HOLD AND I FINALLY HUNG UP. I hate this mortgage company. Suntrust is not a bank that you can trust! If your mortgage gets sold to this bank, refinance it ASAP and stay far away from Suntrust!!!!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

Keeping giving you irrelevant information, asking to stay on phone to talk to customer service, yet drop calls, have been trying to reach them for 5 days and they don't pick up the phone, worse ever, they don't separate covid relief line from people who have a normal business request. Process my payment twice, can not tell them to apply it as principal reduction that should be the default.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2020

I'm a current customer of Suntrust Mortgage. I want lower payment, so contact Suntrust Mortgage loan officer for refinance almost 1 year ago. But not finished still now. They are terribly slow process, so documents are expired several times and resend them again. But now they say again expired some....

Original review: Dec. 8, 2020

After delaying for underwriter’s final approval they finally said no after nearly 3 months based on debt to income ratio which has been the same since approving. Dishonest process and immoral people, biased and racist mindset, this organization needs to go bankrupt, no place in society.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

Started the refi process for two properties (home & investment) in June 2020. Both were approved in September, but no word from Suntrust. Emails go unanswered and I refuse to wait on hold indefinitely. I decided to start the process with another lender. Even more disappointing is that I have been a client of the bank for over 30 years. You would think they might care. I am shopping for a new bank as well.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2020

124 days to process a refi. The worst experience I ever encounter refinancing a house. No communication between departments. To process the refi they had to do a subordination from a second mortgage that they also hold. This part took an extra 30 days. I will not recommend this company and will never do business again.

Suntrust Mortgage Company Information