Suntrust Mortgage

Compare Mortgage Companies

Research top Mortgage Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

For over five months the loan processor and I worked tirelessly to please the underwriter. I spent $ 3,415 for inspections and updates on a house that I was trying to purchase. After 5 extensions I finally received my congratulations letter and the final closing date. Two days before closing I received a call saying that the loan was denied by the underwriter. The processing manager's response was "Don't shoot the messenger". How could I pass every inspection and improvement on the house, have good credit, a steady income as a teacher for 25 years and be a risk? Are you kidding me? Suntrust has terrible underwriters who make you jump through every hoop and obstacle just to deny you after at all the time and money wasted on the loan process. Do not use Suntrust unless you have time and money you want to waste.

After paying off the Suntrust Mortgage Loan the standard response on getting a refund on the retained escrow account "Standard Procedure is 15 business days. After payoff you will be sent a check". There is no excuse for something like this other than loaning Suntrust interest free money. Doing business with Suntrust Mortgage has been a 14 year mistake!!!

Just had my home equity line up for renewal. They sent a rookie appraiser out who appraised $200k less than market value. Despite supporting documents from previous appraisals and recent sales, they wanted to reduce the line by $50k. I don't have a balance but use it for short term financing on real estate transactions. In a 15 year+ relationship, I have never missed a payment.

I have a credit score of 835, have had the line for 10 years, have banked with SunTrust all that time and they let an incompetent appraiser reduce my equity by $200k with the stroke of a pen and expect me to just accept it? I don't think so. Never mind that I have over $80,000 in cash in different accounts with them, and a business account that always has over $100k balance. I have a commercial mortgage coming up for renewal early next year... It's time to look for a bank that understands relationships. SunTrust is NOT it.

I simply ask SHENRIKA ** why you guys paid my insurance again in April when it is already paid in August 2016. I believe she doesn't know where to look for the answer so she become defensive and being unprofessional and instead of answering my question! The agent before her wasn't helpful as well. At this point I don't know why I am paying $115.52 instead of $960. I don't feel safe for this company to manage my most important assets. It's very frustrating!! And my insurance company Allstate customer service line just verifying they been overpaid but why? My insurance is not due until August 2017 and to have not make any change.

I tried to submit payments on their website then it says I'm late and I wasn't. But didn't let me submit because I'm so called "late." I called multiple times during their so called business hours and they can't take the call-a recording. Finally get a hold of them and made even an extra payment. They ask me why I couldn't pay, and do I need assistance. "No I've been trying to pay" I said. Not good enough so they reported it on my credit score and went from Excellent 700+ to 600+ "Fair and Needs work." All that just because they don't know how to accept a payment but then they get all active, add the late payment charges and report it as fast as they can. I'm going to attempt to refinance with another mortgage company BUT... kinda hard to do when they knocked my credit down.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Suntrust?

Worst experience ever- Suntrust Mortgage Charlotte NC - Took weeks and weeks to supply their never ending paperwork requirements only to be denied. Then received an email from my initial contact person saying I should NOT have been denied and that the Underwriter manager would personally handle my file and "rush" it thru. Two more weeks go by and I'm finally contacted by another person who says my application has to start all over again and here is a giant list of required paperwork. I showed her the email from Suntrust where it said otherwise to her astonishment then another manager calls and says it doesn't matter what that email says. I have to start all over again.

I already have a mortgage with Suntrust with a family member and we have never been late in nine years. I am sure they just didn't want to give up my higher interest rate existing mortgage and did everything possible to delay and deny me. I have never been thru anything like this with a company and I've bought and sold a lot of real estate. Many heated words by myself and the manager ensued- I will NEVER use this company and hope the whole world knows they are liars and crooks.

This company is very dishonest. When an appraisal was ordered for 450$, they send a bill out for 750$ which was not the agreed upon amount. Once the appraisal came back to remove the MI, they would not remove it even though the numbers clearly showed the MI should not be charged anymore. Stay clear of this company!

After paying my mortgage promptly for 10 years, the mortgage was about to adjust and double the payment. I had become unemployed and unable to locate a tenant at all. I called Suntrust Mortgage multiple times to try and resolve the situation until the house could be sold to cover the mortgage. They basically ignored my requests, would not agree to any modifications and negatively impacted my credit report even though I had presented a short sale offer that they had yet to respond to. I went from an upper 700 credit score to upper 500 because of Suntrust Mortgage. All in all, I would say they are the last mortgage company you should go to when seeking a mortgage. They will not help you if you get in trouble and they will do everything to destroy your credit.

I recently spoke with Suntrust regarding refinancing. After disclosing comparative rates, I was informed by the loan agent that I should simply stick with my current loan with them, an interest only loan, with an adjustable rate. "Do the math" was his amused response. Really. Our credit scores are 804 and 760. The loan agent neither offered to refinance or negotiate a rate, simply spent time amusing himself, admonishing me and mocked me for wanting to pay down the note and get a 15 year fixed (duhh). The fact that he was from India was especially annoying, getting a lecture from a foreigner. Outsourcing... Another reason to avoid doing business with them. Keep it in the U.S.A. WTF. Speaks volumes about Suntrust and how they seem hell bent on driving away customers. Good luck with that.

This is my second refinance with Suntrust. First one no problems. This time has been nothing but horrible. I signed up for bi-weekly auto payment however because only half a payment is made at a time my account always shows past due. I receive 3 or 4 phone calls every day and have also received two letters stating my account is past due. As a result my credit score has gone from 813 to 726 in just 2 months. Suntrust tells there is no issue. That is total BS. This is the worst bank ever to deal with. Once I find a good alternative I will pull all of my money from this bank.

SunTrust bought our loan as of Dec 1. Having been in the real estate business for years and having heard the horror stories of sold and transferred mortgages and people finding themselves in foreclosure shortly thereafter, I made and kept meticulous notes on the transfer process. I had to sent a paper check for the December payment. Fine. I wanted to set up ACH payments ASAP, so I meticulously set up the paperwork. I received another letter stating my ACH payments would start Feb with a payment of **. Fine. In the fine print was another message saying they would also pull an additional principal only.

Loan officer kept overlooking important details since the very beginning. His poor understanding of IRS tax law and subsequent ability to analyze tax return forms eventually costed me losing a house I wanted along with my security deposit. The bank would come up with their own ideas and assumptions despite providing the evidence of them not being accurate. My accounter spent hours educating him over the phone on certain nuances. However that did not work as well. I recommend to avoid dealing with Suntrust Mortgage department.

Several years ago I obtained a mortgage via Suntrust at a time when a well respected colleague worked there. She left a couple of years later because she said the place was falling apart. Since then, every single transaction I have had with them is delayed, done wrong, or generally mismanaged. I would say that 4 out of every 5 employees are incompetent or the system is so messed up that employees can't make sense of it.

They are currently holding up my refinancing with another bank by refusing to send paperwork showing that my equity line has been paid and closed. They say, "we meet the letter of the state law and we can delay this release for 30 to 60 days if we want." They are either chronically behind, understaffed or intentionally forcing me to pay them two additional mortgage payments before the refinancing can take place. Then they try to pressure you into refinancing with them. It doesn't matter if you deal with them online or go to a local branch, none of them seems to know what he/she is doing. It's not a bank; it's a racket.

Based off my experience and many colleagues I will not be using SunTrust Mortgage again. My experience with SunTrust has been horrible. I am in the process of building a new home and I was banking with a representative Mark ** in Tampa Florida area. Per my colleague's recommendations, I went with SunTrust. With my excellent credit they were giving me loan rate of 3.4 percent. At the last minute in 54 days prior to my closing he tells me that the rate is now 4.3. Come to find out he has done this and tried to do this to every single one of my colleagues at the last minute to get more commission. SunTrust left me without a mortgage at the last minute prior to closing. I went higher up the ladder to report him and with more delays they are now trying to close. Extremely unprofessional and unreliable.

Suntrust mortgage is the worst company I have ever been a customer of. When my husband lost his job they told us we did not qualify for loan modification and we could only do foreclosure or short sale. We chose short sale, but they said "You have to have no income." I was pregnant at the time and we were living in the house because it was better than the streets. Well, if there is no income, there is no money for utilities. We had to move in with family and now we are in debt. Turns out, we qualify for the HAMP program and the information they told us was false.

Now my husband and I are fighting to meet the deadline for the HAMP program before it ends and they won't answer our emails or calls. Anytime we needed to send in information they would lose it or only give me small pieces of information at a time and would get rude with me. I was lucky I didn't lose my baby with the amount of unnecessary stress they put me under. Seriously, how are these people still a business? They just did a settlement for unopened HAMP program applications for 320 million dollars. If that isn't bad enough, they are a major funder of the DAPL. Avoid them like the plague.

Suntrust mortgage pulled my escrow funds to pay for back taxes on a brand new property due to builders going bankrupt, causing an escrow shortage on my account. No help from loss legitimate unit, which caused me to file bankruptcy. My case was dismissed 9/2016. Now they are saying I owe 1 month mortgage. Sent in all my receipts and Shannon called from the President's office about not receiving paperwork faxed to them through a Suntrust bank. She then stated they received the payment coupons I faxed but they may not be sufficient enough to prove my payments have been cleared.

During my bankruptcy I made 2 payments short of 12 cents total and they filed a Motion to relief of stay on property for 12 pennies. Can someone explain to me if they came after me for 12 pennies, how can I get away with missing a whole month payment? This company should be out of business for taking so many people who work so hard to pay their bills ON TIME. Also they need to feel what we feel by doing us the way they do. I don't know how they sleep at night. They also reported 1 missed payment to the credit bureau, after the investigation it was removed but they claimed I still owe 1 payment.

Even when your first mortgage is with Suntrust to refinance they act like they do not know you. Request you give them the average amount in your Suntrust bank account, give them history on your loan then eventually when you tell them you have all this including employment profit of direct deposits yet they want paystubs then 45 days later at closing, no one from Suntrust shows up then you are delayed because their lawyer was not given the proper payoff CD then it takes them three days to get you your cash out monies owed to you. Lastly, you won't have access to your new loan online as they have major glitches when you refinance within the same bank and it's been 40 days and they still can't get me access. Oh the best one is while this is going on just this week 45 days or so later I get a letter they sold my loan to Fannie Mae. You are treated as a number with Suntrust bank.

My refinance with Suntrust has been a nightmare like no other. I've always read the horror stories but to actually go through it yourself is a totally different thing. I feel lied to because I was told my mortgage wouldn't be sold like the rest of the mortgage companies do. I feel lied to also because it has taking forever to close. The process has been getting dragged longer than a regular mortgage completion takes which is ridiculous. The exact requirements weren't laid out in the beginning as they should have been. I should not receive last minute inquiries about things that I weren't told about from the beginning, especially when I fully explained my quitclaim deed situation. They haven't been treating me like they value my business or even care about me closing on the house. I should of went to another company.

I started my application on July 27,2016 dealing with Suntrust Agent Robert **. I was told by Mr. ** that not only would the refinance be a fast process (45 days or less) but that Suntrust also wouldn't sell my loan to another company like most mortgage companies. My refinance was different from the normal because the mortgage wasn't in my name but the title and deed of the house was, because I had performed a quitclaim deed with the previous owner about a year or so ago.

I explained my situation to Mr. ** telling him that I had been paying the mortgage through the previous owner since her name was still on the mortgage. I was giving a list of all the necessary things I would need, and I was sure that I had reached the necessary requirements. So I proceeded with the application, I had the property appraised and received its value on 08/30/2016. From here the process is solely on Suntrust. I was introduced to Patrick ** as my loan processor.

Over the weeks we would exchange little updates or items that he would need. I was told on October 5th, 2016 my proposed closing date was 10/24/2016. Before 10/24/2016 they asked me for an insurance policy on the house. This is where it gets even better. I Stated to them that I already pay the mortgage which includes the insurance, which is one of the reason why I'm trying to get the mortgage in my name to begin with. They insisted that I get the previous owner to add my name to the mortgage.

If the previous owner is an ex-girlfriend how cooperative do they think the person would possibly be? So I was forced to set something up with my insurance agent. I thought this would be it but of course they asked for some last minute documents, which this time was just the mortgage statement for the last 12 months. I mind you the mortgage isn't even in my name at this point but I did have access to account so I was able to print out the necessary documents. So they changed the proposed closing date to 10/28/2016. Long week of silence, finally heard from them and they stated the proposed closing date would be 11/04/2016.

On 11/02/2016 last minute of course I receive an email stating that Suntrust needs to see statements from my account showing that I paid the mortgage. Which makes it very tricky because in the beginning I was just paying cash to the previous owner, then afterwards I began to send transfers from my account to the previous owners account, then I set it up so Wells Fargo could just take it out of my account every month. So that was fine because I can actually show that, but my big question is why didn't they tell me this was necessary in the very beginning when I explained my situation. So because I paid cash sometimes I couldn't use those months, I had to use the transfers and the ones that came out of my account.

But guess what they wanted the previous owner to write a letter confirming that I paid the mortgage on the specific dates that I said I transferred and it had to be signed and have contact information available. Once again the previous owner is an ex gf, how cooperative do you think this person will be. You know what they told me? If I cannot get the letter sent by the previous owner then I cannot proceed, it's nothing they can do, and their sole reason being that they were going to sell the loan to Fannie Mae or someone who has certain guidelines. But wait, didn't Mr. ** tell me that SunTrust keeps the mortgage loans and doesn't sell them? So that totally pushed me over the edge.

They also wanted credit inquiry sheets signed. I could only verify a few because I had combined some lines of credit but the rest I didn't do. I sent all the completed items back on 11/08/2016 and the previous owner responded. I didn't get another message until 11/17/2016. And it was about another credit inquiry pop up, so I ended up having to send statements about the combined credit lines back, but once again I'm just sitting around waiting. It's no reason a refinance should take longer than a first mortgage loan ever. I really wish I went somewhere else to refinance but it's too late. Wish me luck. 3 months and counting.

My house suffered severe hail damage on July 28, 2016 requiring the replacement of three windows, a sliding door, gutters, siding, and the roof. My insurance company issued a $25,600 check to me and Suntrust. I secured a contractor who has replaced the roof and siding damage. Suntrust has come up with every excuse possible (paperwork) to not return the funds as of November 6, 2016. They will not inform me of the issues for weeks, until I call to inquire about the check.

My husband owns another property in the area that also suffered severe damage. He has a different mortgage company. The same contractor repaired that house using the same documents that were provided to Suntrust. His mortgage company returned his funds in a timely manner. The contractor is now asking for payment for the roof, and I don't have the money. I plan to refinance as soon as I get my check. I am very dissatisfied with this company.

An appraiser showed up at my door to due an appraisal because of a claim that I was behind in my payments and they were getting ready to apparently start a foreclosure. That information was total outrageous as the mortgage is current and hasn't been delinquent in over 3+ years. There is nothing in arrears. Not only is the claim wrong they didn't even notify me that there was going to be an appraisal and why. This mortgage company is horrible. Sent in over 400 pages of paper on three separate occasions to see about a refinance under HARP and after sending in the application 3 times in a year, they said: "oh, you have a VA Loan and it isn't eligible for refinance under HARP." This Bank is something you want to run from - don't walk!!!

Have had nothing but problems with this company. I was a month and 1/2 late. They taped a large envelope to my security door, that peeled the paint off. The girl told me, "If you paid your mortgage on time we would need to tape anything on your door." She told "File all the complaints you want. Nothing will happen."

Suntrust Mortgage is the worst and most unprofessional mortgage company out here. They are clueless and just do not care. They keep charging me more money for a "escrow shortage" twice a year!!! It's a scam!! My property is located in Newark NJ and I went several times to the city to verify my taxes and they told me over and over again that there is NO change. Suntrust Mortgage just keeps raising my monthly payment and keeping the money. I called a million times and they are always "investigating", "following up", etc. I hate that I have to refinance and spend money in order to leave this horrible company. I'm even thinking on going to talk to them in person wherever they are because it's just an abuse. I want all the money back that they kept during these "shortages". I will get it back.

Let me begin by saying I am a perfectionist. On paper, I look great. I have amazing recommendations from all of my bosses in the past 6 years, I have maintained a 3.8 GPA while balancing a full time career as an analyst on top of the full class load, and, most importantly, I have never missed a payment. Let me reiterate that final point: I have never missed a payment on a credit card, an auto loan, the financing I did for my laptop, or my medical bills. For a 25-year-old, I had a pretty shiny credit score.

In May, I figured, "Hey, why not refinance my auto loan with Navy Federal Credit Union for a much lower rate?" I did just that. I presented the check from NFCU to SunTrust to pay off the remaining balance on my account. At that time, I also began paying my loan to NFCU. SunTrust lost my check. Okay, well, that's a pain, but mistakes happen, right? I'm a pretty patient girl. I understand that things can go wrong. To ease my concern, I was told (by at least 6 different bill collectors) that, due to the extenuating circumstance, nothing would be reported to the credit bureaus. My mind at ease, I reordered a second check from NFCU and brought it back to SunTrust.

At this point, I was looking at a letter from SunTrust, threatening to repossess my car (this is after daily phone calls, harassing me for payment on an account I no longer had). Just to stay on the safe side, however, I made one final payment in order to keep my car in the driveway. A few days later, the calls stopped, my mailbox was vacant of SunTrust envelopes, and I was finally, after 1 month, in the clear. Fast forward to today (about 2 months since this all began). I am finally able to afford a mortgage as a first time home buyer-- exciting, right? Nope. My credit has since dropped to an extremely poor rating because, although SunTrust lost the original check, every debt collector that called was reporting me to the credit bureaus.

While I was happily making payments, after all was said and done (supposedly), I was still being reported to the credit bureaus. I am a perfectionist, I have never missed a payment, I have a 3.8 GPA, and my credit score is a hair above 600 because SunTrust lost a check and refused to take responsibility. ***Disclaimer: There has been one SunTrust representative that has been helpful, and he deserves all of the praise in the world. It's just unfortunate he only has so much power to help me with this. That kid deserves a promotion.

I wish I would have read these reviews before deciding to go forward with refinancing with SunTrust (misnomer). They already owned our loan so we thought we would give them a shot at keeping it. It's nearly 3 months later and we still haven't closed. Our credit scores are extremely high and we make plenty of money. These people are either completely incompetent, shysters, or both. We are completely frustrated. If you are reading this, pick another company. Zero stars if possible.

I took an auto loan from Dodge dealer in Dallas and I told them I am going to refinance to some other bank which gives me lower interest in next week. They accepted for that when my loan was being approved. Now they got me loan through Suntrust bank. I called Suntrust bank today stating that "I want to refinance to other bank so could you please send me the detail like payoff and 10 day interest, etc." They denied my request by saying I cannot move to other bank until I make at least 6 payments. How can they stop me from paying off my loan amount and moving to other bank when they haven't specified me in the first case when I took the loan? And customer care have least knowledge and they keep transferring to different departments.

Suntrust bought my mortgage 3 years ago after I refinanced and it has been a nightmare ever since. They shouldn't even be allowed to call themselves Suntrust because I absolutely do NOT trust them. Every year I have an escrow shortage and they send me a bill saying I can either pay the shortage to keep my monthly payment lower or do nothing and my mortgage payment will increase. Every year I pay the shortage, they cash my check, and then send me a bill for the HIGHER mortgage payment including the escrow I had just paid them. They are total scammers!!!

I have complained about this problem for 3 years and all they have done is LIE to me repeatedly and tell me they will look into it. I've also asked why my escrow is short every year when this is not a problem I've had with other lenders in the past. Again more LIES that they'll have someone look into it but they never do. I've called the "executive office" more times than I can count, but they are the worst. They are completely useless and deliberately LIE and couldn't care less about actually providing any real customer service.

I've talked to Nicole ** several times and she tells me she'll call me back but of course she NEVER does. One time she even went as far as to tell me she put it on her calendar to call me back. JUST ANOTHER DELIBERATE LIE. I've sent emails to the asksuntrust email address - ALL IGNORED. I've posted on their Facebook page but when I told the TRUTH about their horrible customer service my post was removed and I was blocked from posting on their page because they determined it was "inappropriate". Only Suntrust would think telling the TRUTH was inappropriate!

I sent an email through the website requesting customer service and someone named Leslie ** keeps responding with useless, canned responses instead of any actual customer service. I've filed complaints with the BBB, the CFPB, and the VA Attorney General and still cannot get my complaints resolved. I don't understand why the AG won't put them out of business or make them resolve customer complaints. This is completely unacceptable! These people have absolutely no business being responsible for other people's hard-earned money.

In the last 25 years, I have done multiple mortgage transactions and this is the worst broker/agent I have dealt with. She makes so many mistakes, promises to do things by certain time and does not follow through, and put our whole transaction in jeopardy. She would not give us all the details of paper work needed at one time; they kept on dribbling through; even after providing the documents or collateral needed, she could not track them. At the time of the closing, the title company folks were also so frustrated about her lack of preparedness.

Before the closing, I found mistakes in simple calculations (such as adding charges for termite inspection already paid or homeowner's insurance premium). Even after I submitted and reminded twice, the paper work was full of mistakes at the closing. The amount of dis-organization and a lack of follow-through was appalling throughout the process. An example -- I have email threads (and text messages) where I requested the details of docs to be submitted or requested confirmation of what we submitted fit the bill; Michelle will promise to get back next day but nothing will happen for a few days until I had to send repeated reminders.

These people are the worst and do not care about their customers and have a lack of respect for people's time and money. I am selling a home and my buyer obtained her mortgage through Suntrust. My buyer was approved for the said loan amount from Suntrust before she signed the contract for my home. That was back on April 11, 2016. It is now June 6 and we are still waiting for a clear to close from this bank. They have lost paperwork, they have changed underwriters, they have delayed the process in so many ways possible and at the expense of the customer. They don't return phone calls, they don't call when they say they will, they don't communicate.

It's absurd that we are waiting all this time to close on the house and then last minute when you think you are done more things come up. :( Not to mention that as the seller of this home I am waiting for this to close so I can purchase my new home. :( I have had to extend contracts on both deals 4 times. Mortgage lock fees have been incurred as well as storage fees. On the "original" date of closing there was no communication by Suntrust that they would not be able to close. So all parties about to go to closing that day and lo and behold we got the surprise that - hey we need more documents. This bank is just awful. They need to go out of business or fix their customer service. They can't survive treating their customers like this.

We took out a loan for a new home in 2005 through Suntrust Mortgage at close to 8% interest. We were told we could refinance in 6 mos. Of course, this was right before the housing crisis - and that did not happen. The mortgage was **serviced** by Suntrust and was an "interest only" type of loan. Over 10 YEARS we tried to refinance after upgrades to our house. Suntrust kept telling us: 1. Your home is upside-down; and 2. The entity that gave the loan will not be able to help you. (WHO IS the "entity"???) NEVER in 10 years was provided that information!

Suntrust NEVER had our home reappraised!! After 10 years of harassment (automated phone calls) if a payment was "late" (past the due date, but well in the 2-wk. grace period); credit ruined if a payment was missed AND NEWS that we now had principle to start with our mortgage payment - with a $1000.00 additional payment to our mortgage - we had been exhausted!! NO ONE at Suntrust cared about us!!! We paid 10 years on the loan and they were NEVER open to helping us refinance.

We contacted another loan company and lo and behold, a VA appraisal came back that was $8000.00 ABOVE the original home value!! So, we hastened to refinance. THEN we were owed **escrow** checks from Suntrust. We were told the checks had been mailed out on April 30. 10 days later - NO checks coming from 55 miles away showed up in our mail!!! Our post office said we should have received that mail in 3 -4 days.

When I called Suntrust mortgage, I was told to "just wait." REALLY??? On MY money??? Then I asked - "Why did you not mail my checks certified mail??" The **supervisor** told me over the phone, "probably because Suntrust is trying to **save money**." I am furious with Suntrust Mortgage! They take your money...period!!

I tried to get a mortgage refi through SunTrust (they reached out to me via e-mail asking if I wanted to). I was told the closing costs would be approximately $2,000 and could be rolled into the loan. Of course I had to pay a $500 fee to get the process started. Then they appraised my house and decided I'd need an additional $6,800 in closing costs to refi. Shysters. Of course I didn't refi. I'm going to just wait a year or so, sell my house (which I was going to do eventually anyway) and you can bet your sweet patootie SunTrust won't have the mortgage on the new place.

Suntrust Mortgage Company Profile