Suntrust Mortgage
1.15/5
Based on 254 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a mortgage lender?

Suntrust Mortgage

Last updated: April 25, 2018

340 Suntrust Mortgage Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: April 25, 2018

My loan was sold to Union Bank, I was not notified until I got a call from Union Bank asking where my payment was. I have proof I made it to Suntrust but they did not forward to new bank. There is no way to contact them other than online and they have not responded to multiple requests. When you call the customer service line and go through all the prompts to get a live person it sends you to another voicemail asking you to enter your box number which is ridiculous. I have the funds to make another payment to Union Bank and have done so, but what about the families who don't? These guys should be forced to have a number where you get live help. It is not okay.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Suntrust bought my mortgage, so I only have experience with P&I payments and paying off the loan--I can't review their underwriters, etc. I did not use them for escrow, so I can't comment on their handling of that, either. I aggressively paid down my loan for the last year, sending them large payments with a few months over $10k. They received those payments as a direct payment from my checking account just fine. But on the final month, they rejected my payment and sent no notice to me. I called them inquiring about it because I didn't see my balance go to zero. I was told that they had received my final payment, congratulated me on paying it off, and it should take a day or two to post. It didn't post.

Instead, they have a policy that any payoff amount greater than $5k would only be accepted if it was done by wire. They blamed the reason for that on "costs to close the account." If that were true, then they wouldn't require it for final payments less than $5k. And it wasn't a problem for my earlier large payments--they accepted and cashed those just fine. If I had instead paid (as usual) all but $1 and then paid (as usual) a final payment of $1, everything would have been fine and I wouldn't have needed to buy a wire.

In the end, I had to pay a bit more interest, which isn't really a big deal. They couldn't confirm when they could receive a wire, so I had to pay more and then wait two weeks for the extra to be refunded. Also, that doesn't really bother me too much. Once they got the wire, they took care of everything, sent me my refund, etc., properly. However, the simple practice of discouraging people from paying off their loan, making it difficult to do so, not informing me of rejection of my payment, having employees who don't know the rule, and then told me bad information that my payment had been received IS a problem.

Another problem is their online security. I had an online account with password which they decided wasn't good enough. I don't care for companies going to stupid lengths for passwords because when they are hacked it's not because people didn't use special characters, capitals, greek letters, or emojis. It's because the company's system is breached and individuals' passwords are stolen. Also, their 'security' questions were entirely made up things I couldn't answer or the answer might change over time. How am I supposed to remember what my favorite food was decades after signing up for an account? What it tells me is they don't actually care about real security or user experience. They were given some generic advice & probably a bad list of security questions and rolled it out without even reviewing or testing it. In the end, I don't like them or trust them. I will not do business with them again.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I have a fixed rate with this company, for the last few years they have been raising my monthly payment. 2017 they increased it twice. I called. They claimed it to be the insurance, I called the insurance company they said my insurance did go up slightly but not enough to make a big difference, they changed a couple of things which dropped my yearly insurance of less than $200. I called Suntrust back, informed them of the change in order to lower my monthly payment, instead of lowering my payment, they increased it, WOW.

Extra money has been paid towards my account to help bring the balance down, the extra money paid never went towards my principal. My escrow account keeps coming up short, they take money from my escrow that is used for paying my homeowners insurance and taxes which leaves my escrow account in the neg. This has been going on for a while, I have called and called and called in order to get it taken care of, it's nothing but an argument with them, they get me so upset and angry I cannot longer call them. Today my escrow is short again and they are saying that my mortgage is going up again in Jan 2018. I bought my home in 1995, since Suntrust taken over my loan it has been nothing but a nightmare. Is there any good attorneys out there that can help with this and stop Suntrust for extorting people such as myself.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Interest rates are high and they have high fees. They required closing cost on refinancing as well as a down payment and application fee. The escrow account is never calculated right.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

In May, we wrote a contract for a house financed by Suntrust Mortgage. The bank had an approved price of $675k, and we offered $649k which was a very reasonable offer considering comparables. The short sale processor said it typically takes 2-3 months for an approval, so we literally went homeless for a month as we had sold our home July 25th and were anticipating a closing date of August 25th on our short sale home. Throughout those 3 months Suntrust lacked in answering calls and responding to messages left and lacked in giving the short sale processor or seller updates on the process. Instead I believe our contract sat on someone's desk for 3 months untouched. I say this because around August 30th, we received a letter stating that a short sale negotiator had been assigned to us on behalf of the townhome we had sold a month before and no longer owned.

After much digging, Suntrust admitted that since our previous loan had been with Suntrust, the mortgage employees inadvertently sent the short sale paperwork to a file for us and not the seller. Obviously this didn't help move the process along either. That should have been our sign to leave since there was that much incompetence at the bank that they confuse the seller and buyer in the short sale process.

We then continued waiting another 1.5 months only for them to tell us they will only take a sales price of minimum 720k. Then why did the bank have the agent to list it at the price of 675k 4 months prior. There is no way, the house appreciated 45k in 4 months when fixtures have been removed, maintenance hasn't been done, and house prices have dropped. I am appalled at how unprofessional and unresponsive Suntrust is. They have put my family of 5 through quite the ordeal the last 4.5 months when they could have easily rejected the price from the beginning and saved my family many headaches. What a disgrace Suntrust Mortgage has been.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Suntrust?

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

I have been with SunTrust Mortgage for quite a few years and I'm one of those homeowners who was offered by them a modification to receive lower payments and a lower rate. So, I applied for a HAMP modification and they lost paperwork numerous times, told me to continue to resend documents that they received in overnights, faxes as well as emails. They finally acknowledged paperwork when I brought in other agencies to see what they were doing and violations being made.

Then they gave me a written trial modification that was never permanently modified due to them breaching the contract and service transferring me to Select Portfolio Servicing known as a Predatory Lender. I am definitely trying to locate an attorney for a class action lawsuit against this type of fraud and abuse. Feel free to email me if you need further information to protect your home from fraud and wrongful foreclosures. These banks are pretty horrible with the schemes to steal the homes that we've worked hard to own. Email: ** or call **.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

This starts with a Customer Svc woman in the payments group... no customer service skills AT ALL. Never once made a supportive comment towards me/Houston FB post: I've heard great things about folks being able to defer mortgages and other bills while Houston/families get back on their feet. It is one less thing to worry about. My company, Sun Trust mortgage, is a bunch of jerks (in case you have them). They will allow you to skip up to 3 months of payments but at the end of that you owe all 3 months plus the next month. What in Sam Hill does that do to help us free up cash to make it through this recovery mode??? What JERKS. Twitter: #SunTrustMortgageSUCKS #SunTrustMortgageDOESNThelpHarveySurvivors

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

Sun Trust Mortgage Company let my escrow expound account get completely empty & then raised my mortgage payment so much I could no longer afford it & had to sell my house & buy a cheaper one! Thanks a lot! I told my new lender if they sold my mortgage to Sun Trust I would sue them. They can sell it to anybody but Sun Trust.

Original review: July 7, 2017

For over five months the loan processor and I worked tirelessly to please the underwriter. I spent $ 3,415 for inspections and updates on a house that I was trying to purchase. After 5 extensions I finally received my congratulations letter and the final closing date. Two days before closing I received a call saying that the loan was denied by the underwriter. The processing manager's response was "Don't shoot the messenger". How could I pass every inspection and improvement on the house, have good credit, a steady income as a teacher for 25 years and be a risk? Are you kidding me? Suntrust has terrible underwriters who make you jump through every hoop and obstacle just to deny you after at all the time and money wasted on the loan process. Do not use Suntrust unless you have time and money you want to waste.

Original review: June 27, 2017

After paying off the Suntrust Mortgage Loan the standard response on getting a refund on the retained escrow account "Standard Procedure is 15 business days. After payoff you will be sent a check". There is no excuse for something like this other than loaning Suntrust interest free money. Doing business with Suntrust Mortgage has been a 14 year mistake!!!

Original review: May 15, 2017

Just had my home equity line up for renewal. They sent a rookie appraiser out who appraised $200k less than market value. Despite supporting documents from previous appraisals and recent sales, they wanted to reduce the line by $50k. I don't have a balance but use it for short term financing on real estate transactions. In a 15 year+ relationship, I have never missed a payment.

I have a credit score of 835, have had the line for 10 years, have banked with SunTrust all that time and they let an incompetent appraiser reduce my equity by $200k with the stroke of a pen and expect me to just accept it? I don't think so. Never mind that I have over $80,000 in cash in different accounts with them, and a business account that always has over $100k balance. I have a commercial mortgage coming up for renewal early next year... It's time to look for a bank that understands relationships. SunTrust is NOT it.

Original review: April 24, 2017

I simply ask SHENRIKA ** why you guys paid my insurance again in April when it is already paid in August 2016. I believe she doesn't know where to look for the answer so she become defensive and being unprofessional and instead of answering my question! The agent before her wasn't helpful as well. At this point I don't know why I am paying $115.52 instead of $960. I don't feel safe for this company to manage my most important assets. It's very frustrating!! And my insurance company Allstate customer service line just verifying they been overpaid but why? My insurance is not due until August 2017 and to have not make any change.

Original review: April 24, 2017

I tried to submit payments on their website then it says I'm late and I wasn't. But didn't let me submit because I'm so called "late." I called multiple times during their so called business hours and they can't take the call-a recording. Finally get a hold of them and made even an extra payment. They ask me why I couldn't pay, and do I need assistance. "No I've been trying to pay" I said. Not good enough so they reported it on my credit score and went from Excellent 700+ to 600+ "Fair and Needs work." All that just because they don't know how to accept a payment but then they get all active, add the late payment charges and report it as fast as they can. I'm going to attempt to refinance with another mortgage company BUT... kinda hard to do when they knocked my credit down.

Original review: April 7, 2017

Worst experience ever- Suntrust Mortgage Charlotte NC - Took weeks and weeks to supply their never ending paperwork requirements only to be denied. Then received an email from my initial contact person saying I should NOT have been denied and that the Underwriter manager would personally handle my file and "rush" it thru. Two more weeks go by and I'm finally contacted by another person who says my application has to start all over again and here is a giant list of required paperwork. I showed her the email from Suntrust where it said otherwise to her astonishment then another manager calls and says it doesn't matter what that email says. I have to start all over again.

I already have a mortgage with Suntrust with a family member and we have never been late in nine years. I am sure they just didn't want to give up my higher interest rate existing mortgage and did everything possible to delay and deny me. I have never been thru anything like this with a company and I've bought and sold a lot of real estate. Many heated words by myself and the manager ensued- I will NEVER use this company and hope the whole world knows they are liars and crooks.

Original review: March 28, 2017

This company is very dishonest. When an appraisal was ordered for 450$, they send a bill out for 750$ which was not the agreed upon amount. Once the appraisal came back to remove the MI, they would not remove it even though the numbers clearly showed the MI should not be charged anymore. Stay clear of this company!

Original review: March 24, 2017

After paying my mortgage promptly for 10 years, the mortgage was about to adjust and double the payment. I had become unemployed and unable to locate a tenant at all. I called Suntrust Mortgage multiple times to try and resolve the situation until the house could be sold to cover the mortgage. They basically ignored my requests, would not agree to any modifications and negatively impacted my credit report even though I had presented a short sale offer that they had yet to respond to. I went from an upper 700 credit score to upper 500 because of Suntrust Mortgage. All in all, I would say they are the last mortgage company you should go to when seeking a mortgage. They will not help you if you get in trouble and they will do everything to destroy your credit.

Original review: March 23, 2017

I recently spoke with Suntrust regarding refinancing. After disclosing comparative rates, I was informed by the loan agent that I should simply stick with my current loan with them, an interest only loan, with an adjustable rate. "Do the math" was his amused response. Really. Our credit scores are 804 and 760. The loan agent neither offered to refinance or negotiate a rate, simply spent time amusing himself, admonishing me and mocked me for wanting to pay down the note and get a 15 year fixed (duhh). The fact that he was from India was especially annoying, getting a lecture from a foreigner. Outsourcing... Another reason to avoid doing business with them. Keep it in the U.S.A. WTF. Speaks volumes about Suntrust and how they seem hell bent on driving away customers. Good luck with that.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2017

This is my second refinance with Suntrust. First one no problems. This time has been nothing but horrible. I signed up for bi-weekly auto payment however because only half a payment is made at a time my account always shows past due. I receive 3 or 4 phone calls every day and have also received two letters stating my account is past due. As a result my credit score has gone from 813 to 726 in just 2 months. Suntrust tells there is no issue. That is total BS. This is the worst bank ever to deal with. Once I find a good alternative I will pull all of my money from this bank.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2017

SunTrust bought our loan as of Dec 1. Having been in the real estate business for years and having heard the horror stories of sold and transferred mortgages and people finding themselves in foreclosure shortly thereafter, I made and kept meticulous notes on the transfer process. I had to sent a paper check for the December payment. Fine. I wanted to set up ACH payments ASAP, so I meticulously set up the paperwork. I received another letter stating my ACH payments would start Feb with a payment of **. Fine. In the fine print was another message saying they would also pull an additional principal only.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2017

Loan officer kept overlooking important details since the very beginning. His poor understanding of IRS tax law and subsequent ability to analyze tax return forms eventually costed me losing a house I wanted along with my security deposit. The bank would come up with their own ideas and assumptions despite providing the evidence of them not being accurate. My accounter spent hours educating him over the phone on certain nuances. However that did not work as well. I recommend to avoid dealing with Suntrust Mortgage department.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2017

Several years ago I obtained a mortgage via Suntrust at a time when a well respected colleague worked there. She left a couple of years later because she said the place was falling apart. Since then, every single transaction I have had with them is delayed, done wrong, or generally mismanaged. I would say that 4 out of every 5 employees are incompetent or the system is so messed up that employees can't make sense of it.

They are currently holding up my refinancing with another bank by refusing to send paperwork showing that my equity line has been paid and closed. They say, "we meet the letter of the state law and we can delay this release for 30 to 60 days if we want." They are either chronically behind, understaffed or intentionally forcing me to pay them two additional mortgage payments before the refinancing can take place. Then they try to pressure you into refinancing with them. It doesn't matter if you deal with them online or go to a local branch, none of them seems to know what he/she is doing. It's not a bank; it's a racket.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2017

Based off my experience and many colleagues I will not be using SunTrust Mortgage again. My experience with SunTrust has been horrible. I am in the process of building a new home and I was banking with a representative Mark ** in Tampa Florida area. Per my colleague's recommendations, I went with SunTrust. With my excellent credit they were giving me loan rate of 3.4 percent. At the last minute in 54 days prior to my closing he tells me that the rate is now 4.3. Come to find out he has done this and tried to do this to every single one of my colleagues at the last minute to get more commission. SunTrust left me without a mortgage at the last minute prior to closing. I went higher up the ladder to report him and with more delays they are now trying to close. Extremely unprofessional and unreliable.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2016

Suntrust mortgage is the worst company I have ever been a customer of. When my husband lost his job they told us we did not qualify for loan modification and we could only do foreclosure or short sale. We chose short sale, but they said "You have to have no income." I was pregnant at the time and we were living in the house because it was better than the streets. Well, if there is no income, there is no money for utilities. We had to move in with family and now we are in debt. Turns out, we qualify for the HAMP program and the information they told us was false.

Now my husband and I are fighting to meet the deadline for the HAMP program before it ends and they won't answer our emails or calls. Anytime we needed to send in information they would lose it or only give me small pieces of information at a time and would get rude with me. I was lucky I didn't lose my baby with the amount of unnecessary stress they put me under. Seriously, how are these people still a business? They just did a settlement for unopened HAMP program applications for 320 million dollars. If that isn't bad enough, they are a major funder of the DAPL. Avoid them like the plague.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2016

Suntrust mortgage pulled my escrow funds to pay for back taxes on a brand new property due to builders going bankrupt, causing an escrow shortage on my account. No help from loss legitimate unit, which caused me to file bankruptcy. My case was dismissed 9/2016. Now they are saying I owe 1 month mortgage. Sent in all my receipts and Shannon called from the President's office about not receiving paperwork faxed to them through a Suntrust bank. She then stated they received the payment coupons I faxed but they may not be sufficient enough to prove my payments have been cleared.

During my bankruptcy I made 2 payments short of 12 cents total and they filed a Motion to relief of stay on property for 12 pennies. Can someone explain to me if they came after me for 12 pennies, how can I get away with missing a whole month payment? This company should be out of business for taking so many people who work so hard to pay their bills ON TIME. Also they need to feel what we feel by doing us the way they do. I don't know how they sleep at night. They also reported 1 missed payment to the credit bureau, after the investigation it was removed but they claimed I still owe 1 payment.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

Even when your first mortgage is with Suntrust to refinance they act like they do not know you. Request you give them the average amount in your Suntrust bank account, give them history on your loan then eventually when you tell them you have all this including employment profit of direct deposits yet they want paystubs then 45 days later at closing, no one from Suntrust shows up then you are delayed because their lawyer was not given the proper payoff CD then it takes them three days to get you your cash out monies owed to you. Lastly, you won't have access to your new loan online as they have major glitches when you refinance within the same bank and it's been 40 days and they still can't get me access. Oh the best one is while this is going on just this week 45 days or so later I get a letter they sold my loan to Fannie Mae. You are treated as a number with Suntrust bank.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2016

My refinance with Suntrust has been a nightmare like no other. I've always read the horror stories but to actually go through it yourself is a totally different thing. I feel lied to because I was told my mortgage wouldn't be sold like the rest of the mortgage companies do. I feel lied to also because it has taking forever to close. The process has been getting dragged longer than a regular mortgage completion takes which is ridiculous. The exact requirements weren't laid out in the beginning as they should have been. I should not receive last minute inquiries about things that I weren't told about from the beginning, especially when I fully explained my quitclaim deed situation. They haven't been treating me like they value my business or even care about me closing on the house. I should of went to another company.

I started my application on July 27,2016 dealing with Suntrust Agent Robert **. I was told by Mr. ** that not only would the refinance be a fast process (45 days or less) but that Suntrust also wouldn't sell my loan to another company like most mortgage companies. My refinance was different from the normal because the mortgage wasn't in my name but the title and deed of the house was, because I had performed a quitclaim deed with the previous owner about a year or so ago.

I explained my situation to Mr. ** telling him that I had been paying the mortgage through the previous owner since her name was still on the mortgage. I was giving a list of all the necessary things I would need, and I was sure that I had reached the necessary requirements. So I proceeded with the application, I had the property appraised and received its value on 08/30/2016. From here the process is solely on Suntrust. I was introduced to Patrick ** as my loan processor.

Over the weeks we would exchange little updates or items that he would need. I was told on October 5th, 2016 my proposed closing date was 10/24/2016. Before 10/24/2016 they asked me for an insurance policy on the house. This is where it gets even better. I Stated to them that I already pay the mortgage which includes the insurance, which is one of the reason why I'm trying to get the mortgage in my name to begin with. They insisted that I get the previous owner to add my name to the mortgage.

If the previous owner is an ex-girlfriend how cooperative do they think the person would possibly be? So I was forced to set something up with my insurance agent. I thought this would be it but of course they asked for some last minute documents, which this time was just the mortgage statement for the last 12 months. I mind you the mortgage isn't even in my name at this point but I did have access to account so I was able to print out the necessary documents. So they changed the proposed closing date to 10/28/2016. Long week of silence, finally heard from them and they stated the proposed closing date would be 11/04/2016.

On 11/02/2016 last minute of course I receive an email stating that Suntrust needs to see statements from my account showing that I paid the mortgage. Which makes it very tricky because in the beginning I was just paying cash to the previous owner, then afterwards I began to send transfers from my account to the previous owners account, then I set it up so Wells Fargo could just take it out of my account every month. So that was fine because I can actually show that, but my big question is why didn't they tell me this was necessary in the very beginning when I explained my situation. So because I paid cash sometimes I couldn't use those months, I had to use the transfers and the ones that came out of my account.

But guess what they wanted the previous owner to write a letter confirming that I paid the mortgage on the specific dates that I said I transferred and it had to be signed and have contact information available. Once again the previous owner is an ex gf, how cooperative do you think this person will be. You know what they told me? If I cannot get the letter sent by the previous owner then I cannot proceed, it's nothing they can do, and their sole reason being that they were going to sell the loan to Fannie Mae or someone who has certain guidelines. But wait, didn't Mr. ** tell me that SunTrust keeps the mortgage loans and doesn't sell them? So that totally pushed me over the edge.

They also wanted credit inquiry sheets signed. I could only verify a few because I had combined some lines of credit but the rest I didn't do. I sent all the completed items back on 11/08/2016 and the previous owner responded. I didn't get another message until 11/17/2016. And it was about another credit inquiry pop up, so I ended up having to send statements about the combined credit lines back, but once again I'm just sitting around waiting. It's no reason a refinance should take longer than a first mortgage loan ever. I really wish I went somewhere else to refinance but it's too late. Wish me luck. 3 months and counting.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2016

My house suffered severe hail damage on July 28, 2016 requiring the replacement of three windows, a sliding door, gutters, siding, and the roof. My insurance company issued a $25,600 check to me and Suntrust. I secured a contractor who has replaced the roof and siding damage. Suntrust has come up with every excuse possible (paperwork) to not return the funds as of November 6, 2016. They will not inform me of the issues for weeks, until I call to inquire about the check.

My husband owns another property in the area that also suffered severe damage. He has a different mortgage company. The same contractor repaired that house using the same documents that were provided to Suntrust. His mortgage company returned his funds in a timely manner. The contractor is now asking for payment for the roof, and I don't have the money. I plan to refinance as soon as I get my check. I am very dissatisfied with this company.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2016

An appraiser showed up at my door to due an appraisal because of a claim that I was behind in my payments and they were getting ready to apparently start a foreclosure. That information was total outrageous as the mortgage is current and hasn't been delinquent in over 3+ years. There is nothing in arrears. Not only is the claim wrong they didn't even notify me that there was going to be an appraisal and why. This mortgage company is horrible. Sent in over 400 pages of paper on three separate occasions to see about a refinance under HARP and after sending in the application 3 times in a year, they said: "oh, you have a VA Loan and it isn't eligible for refinance under HARP." This Bank is something you want to run from - don't walk!!!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2016

Have had nothing but problems with this company. I was a month and 1/2 late. They taped a large envelope to my security door, that peeled the paint off. The girl told me, "If you paid your mortgage on time we would need to tape anything on your door." She told "File all the complaints you want. Nothing will happen."

Original review: Sept. 21, 2016

Suntrust Mortgage is the worst and most unprofessional mortgage company out here. They are clueless and just do not care. They keep charging me more money for a "escrow shortage" twice a year!!! It's a scam!! My property is located in Newark NJ and I went several times to the city to verify my taxes and they told me over and over again that there is NO change. Suntrust Mortgage just keeps raising my monthly payment and keeping the money. I called a million times and they are always "investigating", "following up", etc. I hate that I have to refinance and spend money in order to leave this horrible company. I'm even thinking on going to talk to them in person wherever they are because it's just an abuse. I want all the money back that they kept during these "shortages". I will get it back.

Suntrust Mortgage Company Information