Suntrust Mortgage
1.16/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Suntrust Mortgage

Looking for a mortgage lender?

376 Suntrust Mortgage Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 19, 2019

I have been a Suntrust customer since 2003. Now i've made my April 2019 mortgage payment on April 2nd, it was drawn out by Suntrust on April 4, 2019. On the 12th of April I get mail stating that my April payment was pulled back by my bank for insufficient funds. I immediately go to my bank and they assured me no such thing has happened. I call Suntrust, now it goes to research. First off, I can never talk to research directly unless they call me. When I call the attempt to collect a debt dept. they are the go between for me and research. Sooo frustrating. So when the research dept. calls me I assure them my bank did not recall the payment. Reason is that they always paid anything and if i was overdrawn i would pay it back with a penalty, second is that there was several hundred $ over the mortgage amount. I paid this on Suntrusts website and it even shows on THEIR site that April's payment went thru.

My bank statement shows that SunTrust was paid. So since April 12th Suntrust research has called me numerous times requesting Data Transaction sheet and my monthly statement for April 2019. I have sent these requests every time they have asked for them. How many times do you need a Data Transaction Sheet? i've had conference calls 3 times with my personal bank and Suntrust in which they requested the Data transaction sheet. Once I was on vacation on a beach in the Gulf of Mexico. Now here it is June 19,2019 and they still insist my bank pulled the money back. I don't have the money Suntrust has it, everything i've given them says they have the money.

I got a call today in which research is asking for both sides of the paper check that shows the bank paid it, I said lady it was an electronic payment on your website. There is no papercheck. She assured me the bank would pay Suntrust with a paper check... are you friggin kidding me? So I said i will call my bank and ask for a paper check that doesn't exist. So I called my bank and the gracious lady sort of laughed and said, "I am 99.9% sure there is no paper check but I will check just to make sure." Now mind you this particular women at my bank has been helping me with this nightmare since day 1. Well she came back on and said, "We do not send paper checks to businesses for electronic payments. I am at my wits end with these people. I am pretty sure I've talked with every employee in research, which mind you have each and everyone asked me for all the same papers over, and over again.

Suntrust has pushed me to my last nerve. That's why I am here today. I did get to leave a msg with the Manager today about this insanity. It's the old saying "if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck". Well if all the evidence says that the payment was made to Suntrust, and there's NO EVIDENCE that it wasn't paid, or given back to me.... then it MUST HAVE BEEN PAID!! So if somehow Suntrust lost the payment in their system, why is that my problem? I just read something online that their system was disrupted somehow. Maybe that's what happened. SO here I am waiting for a call back from research so i can tell them that there is no paper check on an electronic payment, and I'm waiting to see if the manager calls me after he hears the msg I left him, or her. I didn't cuss or yell, i expressed my frustration over the insanity of this all, and that I want to have this matter closed asap.

Next i will try to contact the regional manager if that's possible. I have lost sleep, appetite, ruined 2 days of my vacation, fought with my wife, all for what? I know this, when this issue is resolved I am going to try to refinance my house as far away from Suntrust as I can get. I have sent them the Data Transaction Sheet for the date in question April 4th 2019 3 times, the bank has sent it to them 3 times, I have sent my monthly statement for April to them 3 times. I am tired of complying with them. Now they want a copy of a papercheck (both sides) for an electronic payment. Is it me? Or am I blind? Should I get a lawyer and sue for physical and mental anguish?

Original review: June 15, 2019

My mortgage was sold to Suntrust from Wells Fargo. For the last 6 months I have had nothing but stress and problems with Suntrust, returning payments to me and then charging me late payments. And this past month I made 2 payments (May and June) and they only applied one and put rest to principal when I had clearly stated on my check for 2 payments of (and the amount of each regular payment). I have talked to them on phone and emailed, and so far nothing has been done (over a week now). Still get phone calls letting me know my June payment hasn't been made. They won't correct their own mistakes. I am so sick and tired of their bullcrap. Advise...go somewhere else if you're looking for a loan with the people.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 12, 2019

My wife and I spent almost 2 months replying to all of Suntrust's requests and were told 3 days before closing that we had no deal. This was due to poor employee training, out of state appraisers, and a business model with no room for "outside of the box" situations. We did not appreciate being dragged along for so long just to have the deal go bad right before closing. We will be starting over with a local mortgage provider that puts the customer first and withdrawing all of our money from the various Suntrust accounts that we have.

Original review: June 1, 2019

Applied as a first time home buyer and Stephanie ** was the fastest to respond to my initial inquiries. She also got me a pre-approval letter that same night that started looking for a home loan. Because of this I was impressed and opted to go with Suntrust. Holy Hell I wish I hadn't. Her team did not communicate well and I often had to repeat emails to people who were not copied on other emails. No big deal. Happens all the time.

After everything was submitted I was told that the loan was with the underwriters. There was radio silence for a bit and we were supposed to close on May 28th. This was made evident to everyone well in advance of that date. May 28th comes and no answer from any phone calls and all emails to everyone on Stephanie **'s team says they will be back in the office on May 29th. May 29th I get an email saying the loan was denied and that I can call to discuss why. 4 phone calls to Stephanie ** on the 29th and no answer back. May 30th I talk to Renee ** who says she knows nothing about the status of the loan even though she's been copied for weeks on the emails. I ask if she can have Stephanie ** call me back but she says that she is unavailable as she “is getting ready to go on vacation” and that I will get a letter in the mail saying why I did not get approved.

Got my letter today saying why I was not approved but here’s the kicker, its dated May 23rd 2019. Stephanie ** waited 6 days to tell me my loan was not approved. In those 6 days I could have made arrangements with another bank, could have attempted to clarify the reason why I was denied. But no, she waited 6 days while me, my wife and the people selling the home were asking what the status of the loan was. Now because we did not close on time I’m stuck with a $4000 dollar penalty from the builder, that will be a different review for Pulte Homes if we can’t work something out.

I work in the medical field and I would equate emailing someone that their home loan was denied to emailing the family of a patient to tell them that their loved one just died and if you want to talk about it, give me a call but then never call back. And if they did get my nurse on the phone she would just tell them that I can’t talk to them because I’m about to go on vacation. Stay very far away from Suntrust bank, Stephanie ** and her team.

Original review: May 16, 2019

I purchase my home in 2003, my loan has been passed around twice now because of Suntrust. They lied about my loan. We purchased the home. Two month later Suntrust told us we had to pay an additional two hundred dollars a month due to the taxes. This company needs to be shut down. They have made numerous people homeless, I am now getting ready to file my lawsuit. If it’s anymore people in the Cincinnati Ohio area that would like to join me respond to my post.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Suntrust?

Original review: May 16, 2019

I sent in funds to cover a shortfall of escrow. It was sent in on time. It went to the wrong department and I was unaware of it. I sent in my monthly payment as always on time. I get a letter from Suntrust stating I shorted them about $200. I quickly paid over the phone and then went to my records. I called them and they rectified it. Yet they already blemished my credit history and now refuse to fix it. This company is awful. They hurt my family and I lost out on business because of this.

Original review: May 15, 2019

Had a mortgage, missed 1 payment in 18 years and they treat you like crap, make it impossible to catch up, stopped online payments, must go into the bank to make monthly payment. Selling house due to divorce, they made that a challenge, hard to get pay off balance. Long holds on Customer Service lines, transferred several times to get information. AVOID THIS BANK, they have limited help if you have financial challenges. Their idea of mortgage assistance is filling out a 25 page package, waiting months for them to do nothing. DO NOT GET A MORTGAGE WITH SUNTRUST. They do not support any of the federal mortgage assistance programs. Will never do business with this bank again.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I Have been using Suntrust Mortgage for many years. I financed one property through "Wells Fargo" (AMAZING), But wanted to use SunTrust for everything since I Bank with them exclusively. The Bank itself is 5 star all the way. The mortgage department was beyond incredible with my last Real estate transaction. This one I am currently in.... Not so much. You really have to prompt them for each and every step. I paid for my appraisal which came back last week. I have been asking for the results, yet am only told it "apraised". Still don't know. Phone calls are not answered, and rarely returned.

If you e-mail them after leaving a message, they will get back to you eventually. The last time I used them two years ago, they were great. I am currently having a much different experience. I truly question the competency of this team. I would not recommend them, and will most likely not use them in the future. You don't always get what you "PAY" for. Had I been aware that I would have to do as much as I have this process, I would have went back to Wells Fargo. Now I know. Truly hoping they complete their rankings as hired. I am doubtful at this point.

Original review: May 12, 2019

They do not allow for 15 days grace period on their statement so it always says I owe two months. I really object to this. Other companies do not do this. I always look like I am in arrears. Change this and make me happy!

Original review: May 9, 2019

Used Suntrust to finance my vacation home. Although the rates are good, the process is awful. We were on a time constraint which they stated could be done and was not. They have you pay for an appraisal and a credit report but will not tell you who the appraiser is. Our appraiser was supposedly hand picked by their software and they had no idea who it was but told me they gave him an extension which delayed our closing. After they gave him the extension, they received the appraisal back and it was returned due to being incomplete. I explained to Suntrust that the appraiser worked for me and that I should have been the one asked if he could have the extension. Needless to say, closing was postponed a week due to the incompetency of Suntrust and the appraiser they hired. Will NEVER go thru them again for a mortgage!!

Original review: April 23, 2019

The home insurance company who took a 1 1/2 yrs finally paid us to fix the roof of our home. Sent a check to SunTrust who is now holding the funds refusing to pay contractor to do the jobs needed. Insurance company have already approved all contractor and work. But bank is now hold our funds to fix our house and the insurance companies now are threatening to cancel our policy. I believe this practice is unfair to say the least. We don't know who to file a complaint to. We have jump through all hoop as per SunTrust requirements and nothing resolve. This is the worst bank of all time. Do not do business with SunTrust. There is a reason they are the worst bank ever with very mob styles practice.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

Be very cautious when choosing Suntrust as a mortgage company. I had a flood in my house due to a broken pipe back in December. The work has been completed since February 1st and today is February 25th and Suntrust has still not sent an inspector out to inspect the house. They are holding about $50,000 of my money and refused to help in any way and continue just to blame it on the inspection company. They have zero interest in helping their customers and have made that very clear and this case. My contractors are going to start putting liens on my home if Suntrust is does not send this money.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

Every time I tried to use the website there is a problem. Always locked out. Always have to call and get bounced around their automated messaging. Finally get someone terribly unhelpful who explains what I did wrong. Last excuse was that I tried to log on phone and home computer. How stupid of me. Extremely annoying. Avoid them.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Had a mortgage for our home over 13 years paid on time, after divorce and government furlough I missed 1 payment, they treat you like crap. Calls hounding for payment, blocked online activity. Had to go into a bank to make payment. Would not allow a smaller payments to try to catch up. Don't use this bank, they don't support any of the federal mortgage assistance programs. Long waits for Customer Service. There are other mortgage options. Avoid Suntrust.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

2014 - I opened a $50,000 Line of Credit. I opened this because I was diagnosed with Breast cancer and thought I might need cash quickly. (My husband died 6 months prior.) I sold my house within the year. This line of credit was evidently not included in the payoff. Since I had not used it, I was unaware there was $100 owed. I have not discovered why. I have been told by SunTrust it was possibly a fee charge, $100 deposited in my account (I didn’t have a SunTrust Account), etc. Due to health concerns, I moved to Florida near my son and purchased another home. (This mortgage was thru another company. SunTrust bought my mortgage a few months later).

This home has been sold (Late 2017). Both homes were paid in full, on time, and no late payments! Now in October 2018, this appears on my credit rating as being 3-6-9 month late! I was never billed and the address for the account was in Milton, Florida. (Not only have I never lived there, I do not know where it is!) To this point, I have paid the amount (under protest) and have only been able to get it marked paid on the credit report. I do not mind the $100. I mind the damage to my credit and SunTrust’s lack of concern for a good customer’s credit! Why if this was not paid did you buy my new mortgage? I want a letter explaining this was placed on my credit in error, removed, and marked pd in full. Until this is done, I cannot purchase a new home even though all other creditors are paid in full and on time!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I was scammed out of $500 May 2018. I went to the local bank. Filed a complaint and to this day I have not got any money back. They investigated and even told me they knew I was scammed but I have not got my money back. My husband has cancer and is disabled. I will be looking for a new bank as soon as I can. That's why two of our town banks have closed is because they don't care about their customers. My mom, dad and son all are changing banks.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

On November 21st, 2018 had vehicle to do damage to my home. My homeowner's insurance gave me a claims check to me. I had to submit my check to Suntrust over a month ago. I’ve had a contractor to repair some damage to my home and I’ve called 10 times, talked to different representatives & have been given a different excuse every time and have submitted all forms they have asked for over 4 times & today 1/6/19 the W9 from contractor is not matching his IRS number and everything is correct. I was told today my claim check is in a escrow account and will get my proceeds/funds to me in different disbursements amounts to me I will not get all back at once. I’ve never been so frustrated and upset. I can’t get my home finished & was told today it would take 10 to 15 working days for me to receive my first check. It’s been over 30 days exactly 41 days now. Now I disgusted with Suntrust keeping my funds, so now I am going to go to an attorney today.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I have refinanced my home shortly after having it originally financed with another company. I regret it to this day. Yes I got a better interest rate, but it has NOT been worth the headache and harassment that I get from DontTrust. If I wasn't planning to sometime soon fix up and sell this house, I would refinance again and find some other company, even if it meant a worse deal. I sometimes work temporary contracts, so my income isn't always constant. There have been times when I fell behind with my mortgage payments. I tell them that I will catch up soon after I get my next assignment, but they continue to threaten and harass me with phone calls and tons of unwanted mail and phone calls. I always catch up with payments, and they don't really need to make that big of a deal of it, but they do.

They just called me and everything was ok until they had to read the stupid spiel "this is an attempt to collect a debt, any information will be used for that purpose..blah blah blah"... Sorry but that statement (and I know they're required), I find it threatening and it pisses me off and I will hang up. oh also the "this call will be recorded". I don't take kindly to being humiliated and threatened using that language. I've told them in plain language what the issue is and that I will catch up on payments, they need to stop harassing me, period! I can't wait to get out of this mortgage and buy a house that is a better fit for us. There is no way I would ever deal with Suntrust again. There are plenty of other banks that don't treat you like crap.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

These people are the absolute worst in the business. I wouldn't refer these people to anyone in this world. I have had the worst experience ever with them in the three years that I have owned my home. They screwed up on my accountant 2 out of 3 years. People psa if you ever hear Suntrust run. Do not get a loan or anything else with these idiots!!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Like someone else said I wish they had a zero star. Trying to pay off my mortgage but they want me to use snail mail! I went to two different locations to hand them the “cash” but they said they couldn’t take it, that I have to mail it or electronically send it in which they want $25 for. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. I’m putting it in the mail in which I’ll have to guess how many days of interest I need to add and then they can send me back what’s left if any. Without interest I’m sure! You would think in this electronic world we live in a bank could take and post money.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

We had some plumbing issues with our home, for which Suntrust holds the mortgage. We reached out to tap into our home equity, which is in excess of $200,000. Suntrust said they simply couldn't do anything for us since Colorado is "outside their footprint". Whatever the hell this means, they could offer us no suggestions or help. They don't consider Colorado of any significance nor give any service, yet will still take your mortgage. Summary: Don't use or trust Suntrust in Colorado.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

After repeatedly giving this company all the documents they requested, and being told I would receive a disbursement check to begin repairs on my house, another delay. This time, completely fabricated, they claimed my house was shown as a total loss on the adjuster's worksheet, and Suntrust wanted blueprints of the new house I was building. Just incredible. The adjuster's worksheet clearly lists repairs to be made to the house, and Suntrust was in possession of a signed contract detailing those repairs. I can only assume this was yet another delay tactic, or worse an attempt to either cause me to default on my mortgage or try to take my insurance funds and apply them to the remaining balance on my mortgage. What a horrible way to treat people that have already suffered such great losses.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

This is NOT a reputable company. They bought the loan on my home from the bank I used, and have been dishonest and unscrupulous since. They have very poor security, even worse customer service, and unethical accounting practices. They recently changed the escrow amount on my loan, and when the subsequent to next payment was short by the increased escrow payment, they did not apply the funds to the loan, and kept my payment for a month without notification. Then they went and reported the loan as having a late payment. They are not to be trusted.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

The following is my opinion, based on my personal experience spanning a period of two months after which my loan was denied. Absolutely the most horrific, unprofessional, uninformed, and deceptive banking experience I have ever had. A total atmosphere of mistrust, and uncooperativeness. The loan officers know nothing about their product, do not communicate AT ALL (or very minimally) with you on how to get your loan approved in difficult/challenging situations.

It is the job of the loan officer to present challenges to each case, provide solutions, and get the loan approved. In my case, a small payment on some revolving accounts would have given me a score of 680 allowing for a 50% debt to income ratio. Instead focus was placed in idiotic items like missing signature lines which could be otherwise easily verified, questions over which I had no control, IE why a construction loan wasn't being reported to the credit bureaus, or why I didn't state whether there was a lien on the same, technicalities which made no difference to the loan process, but that could be easily resolved through effective communication.

Ms. ** DID ABSOLUTELY nothing to present ideas, and or solutions. Most communication with her was through 6:00 PM emails, rudimentarily sent to cover her bases. Ms. Janelle ** was out of the picture during the first week, I actually thought she had taken a long leave of absence as only ONE (maybe two) call to her was ever answered, the rest all went to voice mail. I was NEVER able to reach Ms. ** by telephone, except on three instances where she called me back, after my pleas for her to do so.

The only bright light in this process was Noor ** who actually DID communicate ideas, and solutions, albeit she was pretty much kept out of the loop. She should be promoted, Ms. ** should be fired, and Ms. ** should take on a lesser administrative role, with minimal contact requirements with outside clients. Suntrust calls itself a conservative lender according to their senior manager, Sharon **. This is not conservatism, this is Trumpism at its worst. A total chaotic, uninformed, and mistrusting environment guaranteed to fail you at every step of the way. Please do yourselves a favor, and avoid them. If you don't believe my opinion, simply read the other reviews, and pay attention to the very low rating.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

On 9/17/18, I was prompted to enter either my loan number or social security number - which I entered my SSN - followed by the # sign - twice. Both times received a response it was invalid! Website is deplorable! Back on 8/5/18, I was forced to create a new user id and password, which I bookmarked at that time. Just yesterday and today, I went to that new website - not found! So, I had to go back to the former website and thank God I had retained my former user id and sign on (which I had changed way back on 11/27/15). Otherwise, I would not have been able to access my mortgage account!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

In 2009, I refinanced with Suntrust and it was approved. Then they drag their feet to close. Meanwhile I received notice FROM Suntrust that THEY had begun foreclosure proceeding against ME for nonpayment of a loan that they had not closed! Took 2 years and over 5000.00 in attorney's fees to get straight meanwhile my credit score dropped 400 points! HATE them! DISHONEST!!!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

Suntrust Mortgage Inc. has been conducting its business in a rather intimidating, threatening, and harassing manner. On numerous occasions they have sent a fellow who goes by "Evan **" to take pictures of the property and home on which we have a mortgage. Without prior notice and without proper credentials, the fellow has shown up on weekends and various random times scoping out the property and taking photos: On the first occasion that we encountered the fellow and asked him for his credentials he did not even know by whom he was sent and scrolled through his phone to find out it was Suntrust Mortgage. When we asked him what his purpose was, he did not even know why he was roaming the property and taking pictures.

Just yesterday afternoon the fellow came by again and took pictures, followed by a loud banging on the front door. Luckily I was the only one here and my family was away, otherwise they would have felt threatened with the barrage of banging on the door as if we are wanted criminals. What's most disturbing is that Suntrust's practices continue though we received a letter that the mortgage is now under the ownership of a wholly different company. These practices instill fear and threat towards our safety and privacy. It has also caused disturbance external to us with neighbors wondering what is going on with all the mysterious cars showing up at random times even when we are not at the house and strangers prowling the property taking pictures. Please beware of this company's rogue conduct and practices.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I have been in a perpetual limbo for two months since I made the mistake of choosing Suntrust. The originator did not bother to speak to me about what type of loan I needed or how much down payment I was bringing or any of the details common during pre-approval. I received loan documents to sign with numbers that did not reflect anything I had applied for or even what was on the home contract. No one helped me correct the info. There has been little communication and when you ask questions you get unclear short email responses that avoid direct explanation.

The one time I received a phone call, it ended with someone telling me they would pass it along to their supervisor. I've been charged 500 dollars for an appraisal and it came back great. After waiting for any contact call after the appraisal, I was sent a vague letter that simply stated they were canceling the loan and I can request to know why. I am in pristine financial position to purchase and I've been delayed months due to waiting on any sort of information on what part of my process the loan is stuck on. Absolute garbage customer service. They should not be in the business of home loans. I hope no one else has to experience this.

Original review: July 14, 2018

I have a mortgage with Suntrust for about 12 years. At first they seemed to be customer service oriented but lately that has changed drastically. I was in the process of a divorce and was selling the house. The taxes and insurance are not in escrow. Paid the taxes late and have been fighting with Suntrust to stop trying to setup an escrow account. Twice they've setup an escrow, several calls and emails to get it removed. Now again they setup another escrow. The customer service is the worst. Sometimes you get someone that will help but it takes days and several attempts to get anything done. Selling the house and will never do anything with Suntrust bank again.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I have had 2 mortgages with Suntrust and UP UNTIL NOW, have been very satisfied. However, the insurance department has been AWFUL! My issue began after FEMA increased our flood premium from $500 to $2500 per year. We followed the necessary steps to have this reviewed and received an map amendment letter from FEMA specifying our zone which is a low risk. This took only a couple of weeks. I initially contacted Suntrust in March with this information and was told that we were no longer required to carry the flood policy. Suntrust stated it would take about 60 days to process and then we would receive a letter that could be presented to our insurance company to initiate a refund.

However, it has now been 3 months and no follow up has occurred from Suntrust. After SEVERAL phone calls (that take 15 minutes to get through the automated responses before you get a live person), I requested to speak to a supervisor. I was told no one was available, but someone would call back within 24 hours. I called Customer Service hoping someone would care about my satisfaction, but was transferred right back to the insurance department which gave me the same reply. I have very little faith that someone will call me today or that this will be resolved, so I'm exploring REFI options!

Suntrust Mortgage Company Information