Suntrust Mortgage

3.7/5 (290 ratings)
Find a Mortgages partner

Find Mortgage Lenders partners near you

Banner image

Looking to refinance your mortgage?

See which lender is best for you!

View Rates

About Suntrust Mortgage

SunTrust (now Truist) is a bank with a full range of online services, as well as in-store offerings in select locations nationwide. SunTrust provides multiple mortgage types, refinancing and other loan options. You can apply online for its standard and unconventional mortgage products.

Find Mortgage Lenders partners near you

Pros

• Online application
    • Standard and unconventional loans
    • Multiple loan types

Cons

• Unclear terms
    • Limited information online

Bottom Line

SunTrust offers standard and unconventional mortgages, refinancing and other loans. While its application terms and requirements are unclear, its online application makes it easy to get started if you need a mortgage.

Banner image

Looking to refinance your mortgage?

See which lender is best for you!

View Rates

What is SunTrust?

SunTrust is an American banking company that offers multiple types of mortgage and refinancing options. It was named one of the 2019 Best Mortgage Lenders by NerdWallet for its refinancing and loan options with low and no down payments. It employs local loan officers and provides online applications so you can easily and conveniently get started on the mortgage borrowing process.

SunTrust mortgage types and services

SunTrust offers several mortgage options. Its most popular programs include fixed-rate mortgages and FHA, VA and USDA loans. Its more specialized loans include a loan program for doctors and dentists, premier loans for high-income earners in expensive neighborhoods and affordable financing for low-income buyers. It also offers refinancing for qualified applicants.

Potential homebuyers can easily apply online with SunTrust or in person with the help of its loan officers. The online application is intuitive and easy to use, and it walks you through every step.

SunTrust mortgage rates

Mortgage rates change daily — sometimes multiple times within a day. This makes understanding specific loan rates and affordability difficult, but as of publication, SunTrust’s rates were fairly competitive, ranging from 2.9% to 4.6%. SunTrust also offers discount points for lower rates and more affordable payments. Its rate calculator lets you estimate your costs at any given time.

SunTrust mortgage FAQ

Where is SunTrust available?
    SunTrust doesn’t disclose where its services are available on its website. If you’re interested in its mortgages, contact a representative to see if it services your area.
    Does SunTrust offer refinancing?
    Yes. SunTrust offers interest rate reduction refinancing for veterans and cash-out refinancing.
    Does SunTrust sell its loans?
    This is unclear. The SunTrust site doesn’t mention whether or not it sells its loans.
    What mortgage payment options does SunTrust offer?
    SunTrust offers a few payment options, including one-time payments, SurePay recurring payments and biweekly mortgage plans. You can easily pay online if you have a SunTrust bank account.

Is SunTrust a good mortgage company?

SunTrust is a nationally known company in the financial industry. Its interest rates seem comparable to other banks’, and its more specialized loan programs, like those for doctors and entrepreneurs, might be ideal for certain borrowers. However, its specific loan terms are difficult, if not impossible, to find, and other general info is pretty limited, so it’s probably wise to contact a loan officer directly for more support and information.

Suntrust Mortgage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Suntrust Mortgage?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Truist?

Original review: March 8, 2022

Hold times on phone over two hours to speak to a customer service representative when you are trying to register to pay your new mortgage. Customer service agent quickly passed the buck and sent to me another extension with another expected 50 minute hold time for the next representative. Do not do business with this mortgage company. Their mobile apps and alternative registration options do not work.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2022

We did a VA refinance thru Suntrust in 2021 only because a lot of banks do not have VA refinance loans. It took 6 months to complete when I was told 60 days at the start. Never do a VA refinance thru Suntrust if you want a professional experience. We ended up paying thousands more because they took 6 months instead of 2 like they promised.

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2021

Absolutely HORRENDOUS/non-existent customer service. 6+ months of routine calls attempting to get answers to important questions regarding my mortgage, my forbearance status, etc. Dead-end phone options that state "this is no longer a working number" and automatically end the call, completely non-existent Home Preservation "Specialist" that does not return calls or answer emails - might as well be a ghost. Of all the things for which to provide terrible, atrocious customer service... a MORTGAGE should not be one of them. I will avoid SunTrust/Truist for the rest of my life.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2021

Of all the banks that I have ever dealt with, this bank has the WORST customer service ever. Their wait times are 1-2 hours long, they operate on EST, which for someone in CA is pointless, and their customer service agents hang up on customers. They bought over 17,000 new mortgages and then sent out threatening letters and emails saying that we were delinquent in our accounts and threatening to send us to collections in violation of state and federal laws! They weren't even sorry about that and just said that the letter went out "in mistake"!

This company should be investigated and punished for that gross violation and abuse of customers. When I asked them to sell off my mortgage and transfer it to another bank they laughed and said that they wouldn't do that because I have great credit and that they didn't want to do that. This is by far my worst experience with a bank, especially with a mortgage by far. Do NOT do business with this bank and pray that they never buy your mortgage.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

I listed my home in Washington, DC for sale the same month the first case of Covid was diagnosed in the US. Secondary, to DC restrictions on activity my condo was not able to be shown, no open houses were allowed and a massive exodus started from the city center. After approximately, 8 months, I opted in to the forbearance while I waited for a buyer.

The house went under contract and the payoff amount they provided was over $45000 more than the payoff shown on the Suntrust website. It increased by not only the forbearance amount BUT they have me no credit for the forbearance funds that were paid on my behalf. The closing was held up for 4 days with the required loan payoff changing and no one at the bank able to resolve the issue. I was forced to pay the loan amount, plus over $45000 which I paid to close even though none of the payments made while in forbearance were ever credited to the amount Suntrust required for payoff.

The payoff could not be reconciled by the bank; they provided varying numbers and had both myself and the law office on hold in excess of 6 hours on 3 days. It was no different than them holding a gun to my head and taking my money. I have had 4 mortgages over my life with SunTrust and always had a positive experience until June of this year. Beware. The banks were got bailed out by the taxpayer for no problem robbing the US consumer and seem to have oversight or punishment that would land a private citizen in jail.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

All it took was a few questions to determine the refi wouldn’t work but she ran credit anyways without my permission. Asked very politely for a call back. Never received one. Sarah ** will respond to an email but will not get on the phone. Lack of clarification on the product being offered.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

Horrible customer service. The loan representative never returned phone calls or emails. We tried to refinance our loan we've had with SunTrust for 18 years and we were put off for several months before we could even submit our paperwork. We were told they were just too busy to take the paperwork. Then when we were finally able to submit a request for refinance, that took months before we had any feedback except for their requests for more information. We were finally told we qualified and the loan was moving forward then suddenly, we were sent an email saying we didn't. I tried to call and ask how we may continue to pay the higher monthly payment at a higher interest rate but we didn't qualify to pay a smaller monthly payment with a lower interest rate. They never responded. Horrible company. We just refinanced thru a different company. Stay away from SunTrust.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

I was finally able to secure a Home Equity Line of Credit earlier this year after banks weren't offering them at all this time last year. The rate they did give me was good, but the the loan officer blatantly IGNORED all my questions and correspondence regarding my loan. I had to call her multiple times and when she ignored my calls, I had to call someone else to have me transfer me to her. When the appraisal came back as a low ball offer, I tried to contact her for an entire week for some recourse, but again she IGNORED all my voice mails and emails. She wouldn't even send me the the appraisal report. I had to call another rep just to get this. I reluctantly closed not being satisfied with the HELOC amount.

Fast forward a few months later, my home value continues to sky rocket and I decided it may be a good time to request a line increase. So I called back to inquire about this and the next person I spoke to was originally very helpful and told me to call him back when I was ready to proceed. I called him back the very next day, and yet again, my message was ignored. I tried every day for about a week, but NEVER got a hold of him again. I eventually gave up. Luckily, I only have to keep this HELOC for three years before I can close without penalty, but rest assured when three years pass, I will definitely NOT be renewing. Why do Suntrust's reps tell you leave a message and a call back number if they have no intention to return your multiple calls?

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

I have been a long time customer. As my home loan is with them I checked in to a HELOC. They felt that this would go through so they submitted everything. Multiple attempts to get an answer with HORRIBLE lack of communication or just not responding at all. Then after 2 hard inquiries on my report they say that it was denied because I am a few points away from what score they needed! Could you not have told me this at the beginning so that a lot of time, effort and dings now to my credit report could have been avoided???? I am pulling my checking and savings accounts and going elsewhere!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

Our home loan has been transferred to Suntrust Now Truist and this is the first month of mortgage payment which is a huge mess. The mortgage was paid online on August 3rd and I have been getting an email from Suntrust that they have not received the payment. I have called several times and they warn that the wait time is about 25 minutes. I am now on hold for 45 minutes and no one is responding. It is pretty frustrating not being able to connect with customer service in this company.

Take a Mortgage Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

Suntrust Mortgage Company Information