2. Mortgages

Suntrust Mortgage

Suntrust Mortgage
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.16/5

SunTrust (now Truist) is a bank with a full range of online services, as well as in-store offerings in select locations nationwide. SunTrust provides multiple mortgage types, refinancing and other loan options. You can apply online for its standard and unconventional mortgage products.

Suntrust Mortgage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Suntrust Mortgage?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Suntrust (Now Truist)?

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

Keeping giving you irrelevant information, asking to stay on phone to talk to customer service, yet drop calls, have been trying to reach them for 5 days and they don't pick up the phone, worse ever, they don't separate covid relief line from people who have a normal business request. Process my payment twice, can not tell them to apply it as principal reduction that should be the default.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2020

I'm a current customer of Suntrust Mortgage. I want lower payment, so contact Suntrust Mortgage loan officer for refinance almost 1 year ago. But not finished still now. They are terribly slow process, so documents are expired several times and resend them again. But now they say again expired some....

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2020

After delaying for underwriter’s final approval they finally said no after nearly 3 months based on debt to income ratio which has been the same since approving. Dishonest process and immoral people, biased and racist mindset, this organization needs to go bankrupt, no place in society.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

Started the refi process for two properties (home & investment) in June 2020. Both were approved in September, but no word from Suntrust. Emails go unanswered and I refuse to wait on hold indefinitely. I decided to start the process with another lender. Even more disappointing is that I have been a client of the bank for over 30 years. You would think they might care. I am shopping for a new bank as well.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2020

124 days to process a refi. The worst experience I ever encounter refinancing a house. No communication between departments. To process the refi they had to do a subordination from a second mortgage that they also hold. This part took an extra 30 days. I will not recommend this company and will never do business again.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2020

1) I've spent hours on the phone from home and from a Suntrust Bank Branch (accompanied by a Suntrust employee) to get a simple ACH (initiated by Suntrust) problem resolved. Wait times have ranged from 15 to 57 minutes. When I do get a rep I get transferred from one department to another with more wait times and/or lines dropped. One rep had a heavy, unintelligible accent - as witnessed by the Branch employee, then we were transferred to another department (more wait time). I've had multiple reps speak over me and condescend an explanation for something not related to my call. Suntrust needs to train their customer service reps to listen, understand, then proceed. I must say I had one great rep handle my first call to tell me that neither of my BOA Billpay checks had been received.

2) Suntrust is sending inspectors to our investment homes to see if they are occupied; charging me $10.50 for each time. That sounds reasonable, except they sent inspectors multiple times in 3 months. We were on Covid forbearance (so why add charges to an already difficult situation?), yet they are stacking up these 'inspection' charges while I continue to try to get them to correct the problem with my $3374 ACH payment which their online system says was credited (my $3318 ACH made by Suntrust on the same call, for another mortgage was credited), but reps can't explain why I'm still billed otherwise. I work with Chase, NewRez, Bank of America, Provident, Wells Fargo, and Citizens - none of which inspected or charged me for inspections.

3) Suntrust online 'feedback/complaint' link does work saying, 'session timed out' when I'm obviously logged in.

4) ....

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

After 80+ days from my application and $1K in Appraisal, fees and other charges which they are refusing to refund I have given up closing with them. Watch out and be assured that you are not getting best rates in the market with high processing fees with them. Complete disorganized mess and failure of people, process and systems at this company. Stay away if you are looking to save money from refinancing. Their own people admitting to all the integration issues, system failure they are having. The company is taking on way too many application and can't keep up leaving consumer hanging with bad service.!! Stay away - you can find other lenders!!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2020

Our county assessor's office sent out 4 bills covering 2017 & 2018 late in 2018 and this apparently caused an issue with our escrow. No other county residents with other lenders had an issue. Suntrust, allegedly showing a shortage, increased our monthly payment by $230+, reportedly to cover the shortage. No explanation was given, just a letter saying our payment was going up. It took months of harassing phone calls to gather enough information to understand what had happened. Not even Suntrust understood what had happened. Now that everyone is on the same page, they are not working with me to straighten this mess out. they're not applying payments being sent in, they're charging me late fees and penalties. There is no end in sight to this issue. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!!

Original review: May 27, 2020

I spent the time filling out the online application to refinance my mortgage. No one has contacted me by phone or email. I've tried calling, but sit on hold for > 40 minutes with no one answering. Their website says that their phone lines are open until 8pm, but when I call after 5pm they say that they are closed and the automated routing system just hangs up on me.

Original review: May 5, 2020

On February 15th Over the phone I requested automatic withdraw to pay my mortgage the 17th of March. The money was in my bank account (witch thanks God is different bank) since way before the day I make that call. Someone no pay attention what they doing. Pass the hold month of March. And the money never was withdraw. I was founded because Credit Karma advise me that Sun Trust report me for late charges, which no was my fault. My score went down big time because some individual make a mistake and Sun Trust cover up this can of malpractices. The prove is for months before I do the same request nothing happen until now. Also in December 2018 my wife passed away in January 2019. I went in person to Sun Trust branch in person with the dead certificate to modify my mortgage on my name only. Sun Trust never make that change.

Suntrust Mortgage Company Information