Suntrust Mortgage
1.16/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Suntrust Mortgage

Looking for a mortgage lender?

378 Suntrust Mortgage Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 10, 2019

My wife and I decided to go with Suntrust because we were told they offered us many flexible ways to pay our mortgage. For example we could make partial payments ahead of time as long as the full mortgage amount was paid before the due date. We worked with their Cary NC office and we had to jump through so many hoops. Every day it’s was another email or phone call from someone wanting information we had already provided. Their people have no clue who had requested what. Even though we were supposed to work with one person we were handed off to many other people only to have to resubmit documents over and over.

Well fast forward several months and I have been paying our mortgage payment on the 15th and 31st. I was paying just over half of the required payment each time so we ended up paying more than the required amount every month. I get an email today saying my account is past due. In talking with their customer service they say “Oh, no you can either make the full payment or setup on our website a payment for half every two weeks.” When you ask to speak to someone above the person you are talking to they say “sorry that person doesn’t take calls” so I say, "Great. I’ll leave a message. Can you have them call me back?" They say “no they don’t call customers back.” Find someone else to get your mortgage through. They are terrible.

Original review: July 3, 2019

I recently opened a business account with Suntrust and was in the process of opening a home equity line of credit with another bank when I was informed by one of the CSR's that Suntrust could meet or beat the bank I was using rates and they have quicker closing time frames. So I cancelled my current application thinking hey I may just move all my accounts to Suntrust and started the HELOC with Suntrust. Now don't get me wrong. I am leaving my business account there for the time being and the CSR I started with has been great but the underwriters and the mortgage dept have been nothing short of a nightmare.

It's been over 30 days now and they have lost my personal and financial documents 4 different times and keep having different people call me asking the same questions and asking for the same docs. It's rather frustrating. My credit is perfect and I've been at my current job for over 15 years and in the same field for over 30 years so I am to believe that it is simply bad training or no care at all for client relations but either way I have decided to not proceed with Suntrust any further for my HELOC and will consider moving my business account to another institution at a later date. So just a friendly word of advice, think and read reviews on Suntrust before proceeding with them for anything.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 19, 2019

I have been a Suntrust customer since 2003. Now i've made my April 2019 mortgage payment on April 2nd, it was drawn out by Suntrust on April 4, 2019. On the 12th of April I get mail stating that my April payment was pulled back by my bank for insufficient funds. I immediately go to my bank and they assured me no such thing has happened. I call Suntrust, now it goes to research. First off, I can never talk to research directly unless they call me. When I call the attempt to collect a debt dept. they are the go between for me and research. Sooo frustrating. So when the research dept. calls me I assure them my bank did not recall the payment. Reason is that they always paid anything and if i was overdrawn i would pay it back with a penalty, second is that there was several hundred $ over the mortgage amount. I paid this on Suntrusts website and it even shows on THEIR site that April's payment went thru.

My bank statement shows that SunTrust was paid. So since April 12th Suntrust research has called me numerous times requesting Data Transaction sheet and my monthly statement for April 2019. I have sent these requests every time they have asked for them. How many times do you need a Data Transaction Sheet? i've had conference calls 3 times with my personal bank and Suntrust in which they requested the Data transaction sheet. Once I was on vacation on a beach in the Gulf of Mexico. Now here it is June 19,2019 and they still insist my bank pulled the money back. I don't have the money Suntrust has it, everything i've given them says they have the money.

I got a call today in which research is asking for both sides of the paper check that shows the bank paid it, I said lady it was an electronic payment on your website. There is no papercheck. She assured me the bank would pay Suntrust with a paper check... are you friggin kidding me? So I said i will call my bank and ask for a paper check that doesn't exist. So I called my bank and the gracious lady sort of laughed and said, "I am 99.9% sure there is no paper check but I will check just to make sure." Now mind you this particular women at my bank has been helping me with this nightmare since day 1. Well she came back on and said, "We do not send paper checks to businesses for electronic payments. I am at my wits end with these people. I am pretty sure I've talked with every employee in research, which mind you have each and everyone asked me for all the same papers over, and over again.

Suntrust has pushed me to my last nerve. That's why I am here today. I did get to leave a msg with the Manager today about this insanity. It's the old saying "if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck". Well if all the evidence says that the payment was made to Suntrust, and there's NO EVIDENCE that it wasn't paid, or given back to me.... then it MUST HAVE BEEN PAID!! So if somehow Suntrust lost the payment in their system, why is that my problem? I just read something online that their system was disrupted somehow. Maybe that's what happened. SO here I am waiting for a call back from research so i can tell them that there is no paper check on an electronic payment, and I'm waiting to see if the manager calls me after he hears the msg I left him, or her. I didn't cuss or yell, i expressed my frustration over the insanity of this all, and that I want to have this matter closed asap.

Next i will try to contact the regional manager if that's possible. I have lost sleep, appetite, ruined 2 days of my vacation, fought with my wife, all for what? I know this, when this issue is resolved I am going to try to refinance my house as far away from Suntrust as I can get. I have sent them the Data Transaction Sheet for the date in question April 4th 2019 3 times, the bank has sent it to them 3 times, I have sent my monthly statement for April to them 3 times. I am tired of complying with them. Now they want a copy of a papercheck (both sides) for an electronic payment. Is it me? Or am I blind? Should I get a lawyer and sue for physical and mental anguish?

Original review: June 15, 2019

My mortgage was sold to Suntrust from Wells Fargo. For the last 6 months I have had nothing but stress and problems with Suntrust, returning payments to me and then charging me late payments. And this past month I made 2 payments (May and June) and they only applied one and put rest to principal when I had clearly stated on my check for 2 payments of (and the amount of each regular payment). I have talked to them on phone and emailed, and so far nothing has been done (over a week now). Still get phone calls letting me know my June payment hasn't been made. They won't correct their own mistakes. I am so sick and tired of their bullcrap. Advise...go somewhere else if you're looking for a loan with the people.

Original review: June 12, 2019

My wife and I spent almost 2 months replying to all of Suntrust's requests and were told 3 days before closing that we had no deal. This was due to poor employee training, out of state appraisers, and a business model with no room for "outside of the box" situations. We did not appreciate being dragged along for so long just to have the deal go bad right before closing. We will be starting over with a local mortgage provider that puts the customer first and withdrawing all of our money from the various Suntrust accounts that we have.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Suntrust?

Original review: June 1, 2019

Applied as a first time home buyer and Stephanie ** was the fastest to respond to my initial inquiries. She also got me a pre-approval letter that same night that started looking for a home loan. Because of this I was impressed and opted to go with Suntrust. Holy Hell I wish I hadn't. Her team did not communicate well and I often had to repeat emails to people who were not copied on other emails. No big deal. Happens all the time.

After everything was submitted I was told that the loan was with the underwriters. There was radio silence for a bit and we were supposed to close on May 28th. This was made evident to everyone well in advance of that date. May 28th comes and no answer from any phone calls and all emails to everyone on Stephanie **'s team says they will be back in the office on May 29th. May 29th I get an email saying the loan was denied and that I can call to discuss why. 4 phone calls to Stephanie ** on the 29th and no answer back. May 30th I talk to Renee ** who says she knows nothing about the status of the loan even though she's been copied for weeks on the emails. I ask if she can have Stephanie ** call me back but she says that she is unavailable as she “is getting ready to go on vacation” and that I will get a letter in the mail saying why I did not get approved.

Got my letter today saying why I was not approved but here’s the kicker, its dated May 23rd 2019. Stephanie ** waited 6 days to tell me my loan was not approved. In those 6 days I could have made arrangements with another bank, could have attempted to clarify the reason why I was denied. But no, she waited 6 days while me, my wife and the people selling the home were asking what the status of the loan was. Now because we did not close on time I’m stuck with a $4000 dollar penalty from the builder, that will be a different review for Pulte Homes if we can’t work something out.

I work in the medical field and I would equate emailing someone that their home loan was denied to emailing the family of a patient to tell them that their loved one just died and if you want to talk about it, give me a call but then never call back. And if they did get my nurse on the phone she would just tell them that I can’t talk to them because I’m about to go on vacation. Stay very far away from Suntrust bank, Stephanie ** and her team.

Original review: May 16, 2019

I purchase my home in 2003, my loan has been passed around twice now because of Suntrust. They lied about my loan. We purchased the home. Two month later Suntrust told us we had to pay an additional two hundred dollars a month due to the taxes. This company needs to be shut down. They have made numerous people homeless, I am now getting ready to file my lawsuit. If it’s anymore people in the Cincinnati Ohio area that would like to join me respond to my post.

Original review: May 16, 2019

I sent in funds to cover a shortfall of escrow. It was sent in on time. It went to the wrong department and I was unaware of it. I sent in my monthly payment as always on time. I get a letter from Suntrust stating I shorted them about $200. I quickly paid over the phone and then went to my records. I called them and they rectified it. Yet they already blemished my credit history and now refuse to fix it. This company is awful. They hurt my family and I lost out on business because of this.

Original review: May 15, 2019

Had a mortgage, missed 1 payment in 18 years and they treat you like crap, make it impossible to catch up, stopped online payments, must go into the bank to make monthly payment. Selling house due to divorce, they made that a challenge, hard to get pay off balance. Long holds on Customer Service lines, transferred several times to get information. AVOID THIS BANK, they have limited help if you have financial challenges. Their idea of mortgage assistance is filling out a 25 page package, waiting months for them to do nothing. DO NOT GET A MORTGAGE WITH SUNTRUST. They do not support any of the federal mortgage assistance programs. Will never do business with this bank again.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I Have been using Suntrust Mortgage for many years. I financed one property through "Wells Fargo" (AMAZING), But wanted to use SunTrust for everything since I Bank with them exclusively. The Bank itself is 5 star all the way. The mortgage department was beyond incredible with my last Real estate transaction. This one I am currently in.... Not so much. You really have to prompt them for each and every step. I paid for my appraisal which came back last week. I have been asking for the results, yet am only told it "apraised". Still don't know. Phone calls are not answered, and rarely returned.

If you e-mail them after leaving a message, they will get back to you eventually. The last time I used them two years ago, they were great. I am currently having a much different experience. I truly question the competency of this team. I would not recommend them, and will most likely not use them in the future. You don't always get what you "PAY" for. Had I been aware that I would have to do as much as I have this process, I would have went back to Wells Fargo. Now I know. Truly hoping they complete their rankings as hired. I am doubtful at this point.

Suntrust Mortgage Company Information