2. Mortgages

Suntrust Mortgage

Suntrust Mortgage
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.16/5

Suntrust Mortgage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Suntrust Mortgage?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Suntrust?

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

My husband and I purchased a 2 year old vehicle in Dec of 2018, and paid it off within a year. We went to purchase the same model, but one year newer and Suntrust indicated we have poor credit with them, when, in fact we do not. They purchased the mortgage on our rental property many years ago. So AFTER they reported us as falsely, they sent us a letter offering to give us a vehicle loan in the amount we were seeking. Luckily, it didn't affect us getting a loan as we've purchased about a dozen vehicles from this dealership.

More recently, I paid the mortgage on the 3rd of this month, the same day that I paid the mortgage on our primary residence. I always pay both mortgage payments at the same time. Chase posted the payment within 48 hours. It's been ten days now, and Suntrust STILL has not posted this payment as having been made. I could go on and on. What is troubling is that even if you don't get your original mortgage through them, banks buy and sell loans all the time and you may get stuck with them without having a say so. BAD COMPANY!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

I've been banking with SunTrust for years and they have found any way possible to make it seem my payments are delinquent. They are unbelievably crooked and have a flawed partial payment system which screws the borrower. They claim I owe 2 months mortgage when in reality I'm just short 62.00. Humans make mistakes but SunTrust takes it to a whole new level. If you're just short 5 dollars they will say they whole payment is delinquent. No matter how much I pay to straighten out the account it's still delinquent to them and they mail back the payments. They now have me in collections for 1728.00 and I only owe 62.00. Stay away from these crooks, please!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

They don't follow the policies or information printed with the loan information. Their "amazing" customer service reps argue that the statement you're holding in your hand & what is says in the FAQ on the website are wrong. Looking to refinance and get away from SunTrust.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

I should have known this was going to a huge mistake during the application process. Every day my loan rep was calling requiring something else. Fast forward to 23 years later and I still regret using SunTrust Mortgage! I was running behind on my mortgage and they will not assist you at all! I made two payments in January and a few days later they reversed the payments and held my money for 7 months. They forclosed the property and refused any payment all year while I tried to get the loan modified. After holding my money for 7 months, they finally applied it to my account in August! They are horrible! Don't ever get your mortgage with SunTrust, especially a 30 year mortgage!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

I’ve been a customer of Suntrust for over 20 years. My mortgage is currently with Quicken Loans. I decided to refinance my loan in August 2019 and submitted my request via their online portal and completed all of the necessary information including bank statements, mortgage statement, tax returns, proof of insurance, etc... I received a call from the loan specialist assigned to me who asked then I submit another loan request and upload all of the information I had already submitted to the site again. I was irritated but I already had all of the information readily available and resubmitted the data.

A couple of weeks went by and I received an email that my loan was being sent to underwriting and assigned another representative who would handle my loan through the closing process. After four weeks of receiving requests ranging from documenting that my neighborhood association fee of $100 per year was voluntary and was not a homeowners association fee (it took all four weeks for them to accept that) to questioning PayPal payments to my lawn guy, my rep informed me she would be on vacation the next week and handed me off to another rep who would keep things moving forward in her absence.

Basically nothing was accomplished during week five and when my rep returned from vacation I received no communication from her until I sent her an email requesting an update. She confirmed my loan was approved and was working on scheduling my closing date. On Thursday of the sixth week I was told that Friday was my assigned rep's last day and I would have a new rep to finish out my loan process. I waited a couple of days with no contact from my new rep so I sent another email asking for an update on my closing date. She responding that she need additional information regarding my banking transactions.

I am not a wealthy person. My FICA credit score is well over 800 and I’ve never bounced a check in my 20 years as a customer of Suntrust. My deposits were around $100,000 and other than my home loan have absolutely no debt. I’m currently in the process of starting a new banking relationship with a bank that appreciates my business. It’s obvious that Suntrust doesn’t.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

Due to escrow re-balancing, I short paid two months by $130 each month. Suntrust indicated that they didn't know what to do with my money because it was not for the exact amount so they held on to both payments and sent them back to me in check form. They sent me a letter which indicated that a payment had not been received, and to disregard if a payment had been sent. Mine had, so I disregarded. They then reported me 30 days past due to the credit bureaus. Any attempt and complaint has had not admission of fault on their part and everything is my issue. Customer service is zero with this company. Run far and fast from them if you can, I had no choice.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

SunTrust treated my loan dishonestly and fraudulently, to the point they were forced to send me money for their fraudulent behaviour. I am still dealing with the repercussions of their fraud for over 10 years. If you value your future, avoid any business dealings with them like the plague!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

Do NOT go to this messed up company for a mortgage. Run the other way. I paid off a mortgage when I sold my house in July, and have been trying for 5 days to get them to send a simple declaration letter to my lawyer stating the loan is paid in full so that I can close on another property. They can’t get it done. My last attempt at this was just two hours ago. I asked them to send the letter to myself, my wife and the lawyer’s office, as well as to the lawyer’s fax number. Even after reading the email addresses back to me over the phone to be sure they were correct, they still misspelled two of the three addresses.

And when I did get the one email, after a convoluted process of opening the message, replying to it (required part of the process), setting up an account (required) with Cisco, and a few more hoops to jump through, the only content to the email was a privacy disclosure. AND IT HAS BEEN THIS WAY FOR THE ENTIRE 14 YEARS I HAD THE MORTGAGE! I suppose I will try again tomorrow since I am done (after 3 hours of trying) tonight.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

I've had a SunTrust mortgage since 2012 and it's been nothing but problems with them. My latest problem is trying to get them to remove the PMI from my loan. My loan is down to 77.9% LTV but they somehow keep saying my LTV is 83.3% and won't show me how they're coming to that value, even though I've showed them my home value/currently loan value gets me to 77.9%. I just turned them into the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau again for non-compliance. I hate SunTrust but for some reason they won't just sell my loan to another company.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2019

I would never attempt to apply for a home mortgage loan again. Before I could complete my application my husband and I credit was ran without notice. We had not submitted anything. Before they arrived at a decision. We had not made a choice if we were going to use them or not. I'm very upset because we had other options. And what really pissed me off is that we both are with Suntrust. And I myself used this branch since 18 yrs of age, before they were even Suntrust.

Suntrust Mortgage Company Information