Suntrust Mortgage

Suntrust Mortgage

3.6/5 (166 ratings)
Find a Mortgages partner
Banner image

Looking to refinance your mortgage?

See which lender is best for you!

View Rates

About Suntrust Mortgage

SunTrust (now Truist) is a bank with a full range of online services, as well as in-store offerings in select locations nationwide. SunTrust provides multiple mortgage types, refinancing and other loan options. You can apply online for its standard and unconventional mortgage products.

Pros

• Online application
  • Standard and unconventional loans
  • Multiple loan types

Cons

• Unclear terms
  • Limited information online

Bottom Line

SunTrust offers standard and unconventional mortgages, refinancing and other loans. While its application terms and requirements are unclear, its online application makes it easy to get started if you need a mortgage.

Banner image

Looking to refinance your mortgage?

See which lender is best for you!

View Rates

Suntrust Mortgage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Suntrust Mortgage?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Truist?

Original review: July 24, 2021

They have zero customer service. Headed into our 3rd month trying to get a mortgage. Their online mortgage system simply DOES NOT WORK. And you (the stupid customer) pay the price. My loan officer keeps telling me sorry...sorry...sorry, because she can't make it their system work either and her manager is on vacation. She is trying - but their system simply does not work. All management at Truist seem to be on vacation all the time. They hide themselves well. Ask your real estate about BB&T/SunTrust/Truist BEFORE you apply with them. If they say, "stay away", then heed their advice. Truist has a BAD reputation among many people in the real estate business.

Original review: May 21, 2021

Numerous hours on the phone with SunTrust. Paid off my loan early due to poor customer service. It has been 93 days and still have not received a lien release in clear violation of State law. Complaints filed with the CFPB and the State Attorney General. I would never use this company again.

Original review: March 30, 2021

This bank is a complete mess. Was told I could close my mortgage 5 days ago and am stuck in a hotel because their closing department will not process our paperwork. Their mortgage consultants should have never told us we could move up our closing if they were not committed to actually doing it. We've adjusted travel plans and are stuck holding a huge hotel bill as a result. Will NEVER use this bank again.

Original review: March 25, 2021

Waited on hold for literally 2 hours and 45 minutes. I could not wait any longer and had to hang up. Every minute or so recorded voice saying 'estimated wait time is 45 minutes to 1 hour'. Worst customer experience ever. Just disgusted.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

Deborah ** was our loan officer. She was unorganized and unprofessional. I would not recommend this officer to anyone. She had very little knowledge of software Suntrust use for applicants, I asked to be reassigned to a new officer she disregarded my emails, I asked to be forwarded and contacted by her manager. She laughed and did not do so. Just nasty experience overall. Direct Loan Officer, NMLSR# ** at Trust Financial Corporation.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2021

My husband and I paid off our mortgage. After several weeks went by, we received no notice, release, etc. We called several times with no satisfaction. When we finally submitted a written request for our documents, we were informed electronic copies were the only documents we would receive and originals were destroyed. Where it may not be statutorily or state required, it would have been more appropriate to put the originals in the mail, instead of the shredder. These were important documents to us, clearly not to SunTrust. Leading up to this, my husband and I never had a good experience with SunTrust, even in branches. I would never recommend them, even if they are now re-branded as "Truist". This is a bank of unprofessionalism and not interested in their clients at all. My disappointment is truly complete.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

I applied for a VA mortgage loan with Suntrust Bank September 2020. I completed all the VA requirements and was preapproved and moved to the conditional approval stage. Today is 1/22/21 and I still don't know where I stand. The request for documentation has been unbelievable and often repetitive. I have quickly sent them every item requested. My closing has been postponed 4 times. My loan rep is very unresponsive. I am going on 5 months now on a process that has an average closing time of 54 days. This is unacceptable and I would not recommend Suntrust Bank for any Banking needs.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

Updated on 08/25/2021: In 17 months, the 2 home preservation reps assigned to me, both Damian ** and Janice ** have NEVER returned a call or email but keep charging extra charges with no description till I question it, then miraculously, it is refunded the following month. This is no way to run a business let alone a BANK. They are unscrupulous and I would NEVER EVER use SunTrust or Truist Bank or mortgage for ANYTHING. I'm going to start a class action lawsuits and contacting the media.

Original Review: I have a mortgage with them. Due to Covid they asked if I needed a forbearance program. I said yes, back in May or June. Then approx Sept or Oct they contacted me and asked if I could pay full amount due. I said no, they said there are other options, continue w forbearance or do a loan modification. I said no, I don't want to do a loan modification. The last option was a refi. At first I said no, due to all the closing costs and fees. They said no, no closing costs or fees since it was Covid related and prior to that I always paid on time. They would lower the rate significantly, add the missed payments in and extend it to a 40 year loan. Ok, I agreed to that.

She said they'll mail me out the documents, with all the details, sign and return. They never sent me documents. I kept calling. My rep Damian ** will not accept calls and there is no way to reach him other than email and he doesn't reply. Then they sent me a letter saying my new payment Feb 1st (escrow letter) is $20 less due to overage in escrow. I'm a realtor. This is common. I called back to discuss and the idiot clerk in the phone said the modification is finished and my new payment will be that amount, since I signed all the paperwork and sent back. I said I NEVER RECEIVED ANY PAPERWORK and it's not a modification, it's refi and the letter she is referring to is an escrow letter! She said they dont have a refi, only a modification. I've been calling and emailing and asked for it to be escalated.

Today....I receive the so-called paperwork...just sign and return. No details whatsoever, just the same new escrow amount payment, it doesn't show fees or terms, nothing. Just sign and return and pay this amount starting next month along with some threats that if I don't, my home will go into Foreclosure. In addition, if you lower the rate significantly (which no mention of what the new rate will be) and tack on an additional 13 years to the mortgage, the payment would be reduced to MUCH more than approx $20 per month.

In addition, I knew the name of my rep Damian ** sounded familiar. My elderly neighbor tried to refi with them as well and was assigned to him and same rigamarole! This is a scam and predatory lending. I have NEVER in my life done business with a company where you are not allowed to speak to your rep and you are at their mercy. Thankfully I'm a realtor and know better than the crap they're to push. No details...no rate..no fees..no terms..just start paying this amount or else.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

Keeping giving you irrelevant information, asking to stay on phone to talk to customer service, yet drop calls, have been trying to reach them for 5 days and they don't pick up the phone, worse ever, they don't separate covid relief line from people who have a normal business request. Process my payment twice, can not tell them to apply it as principal reduction that should be the default.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2020

I'm a current customer of Suntrust Mortgage. I want lower payment, so contact Suntrust Mortgage loan officer for refinance almost 1 year ago. But not finished still now. They are terribly slow process, so documents are expired several times and resend them again. But now they say again expired some....

Original review: Dec. 8, 2020

After delaying for underwriter’s final approval they finally said no after nearly 3 months based on debt to income ratio which has been the same since approving. Dishonest process and immoral people, biased and racist mindset, this organization needs to go bankrupt, no place in society.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2020

I am a current Mortgage holder with SunTrust (Truist). I've been trying to get information on my current loan and possible refinance. I called and was told the wait would be 30-45 minutes. I've now been on hold for 4 hours. This is my third attempt. There is effectively no customer service. I've never experienced such poor service.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

Started the refi process for two properties (home & investment) in June 2020. Both were approved in September, but no word from Suntrust. Emails go unanswered and I refuse to wait on hold indefinitely. I decided to start the process with another lender. Even more disappointing is that I have been a client of the bank for over 30 years. You would think they might care. I am shopping for a new bank as well.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2020

Suntrust, now Truist, has the poorest customer service call center. I have a mortgage account for more than 2 1/2 years. Always paying on time. Called their 800 number for assistance, but waited for over 30 minutes the first time calling. Hung up. Called repeatedly to speak to someone, any person. Each call, there was a significant wait. Even tried to give a call back number. Never a call back by anyone.

Why was I calling, you ask. There was a significant error made for property tax payment or should say the lack of a property tax payment on time and in the correct amount when it was made. You see, Suntrust, now Truist, is neither true or competent. They use a 3rd party firm to handle property tax analysis and tax payments. This firm made the biggest error and never informed anyone. They didn't properly pay our property tax bill, nor was it on time. We authorized county tax office to provide a tax bill to Suntrust who could act on our behalf. Taxes were impounded and part of monthly mortgage payment. We even made up a required shortage but the county did not get paid!! We got assessed penalties and given notice of default. You know what happens after that!!

Suntrust 3rd party firm is Core Logic, who admitted after successfully contacting a real live human that Core Logic, the bank's contractual tax department screwed up. The tax payment monies had been sitting in the account, unpaid while we suffered through legal notices and penalties from the county tax collector. Core Logic was, after direct personal conversation, convinced to pay the county taxes from the impound account. Quite a screwup, don't you think!! NO WAY, it gets worse. Core Logic then does an annual review and recalculation of monthly mortgage payment to determine shortages, if any. Their recalculation for taxes that would be due has resulted in a DOUBLING of taxes projected to be due!! DOUBLE, yes it is true, now TRUIST.

To add to the compounded mess, Core Logic, now part of the TRUIST Team as their tax department admitted the error and promised to perform an adjustment and recalculate the monthly mortgage within 5-7 days. That was a commitment by their tax department to us, the responsible mortgage payers. It has now been 45 days but there has been no adjusted tax amount (it is still double what the county has provided as taxes to be paid in 2020-2021). THAT's right, the mortgage payment is nearly doubled. Who knew, we know the P&I is a fixed amount, the only annual adjustment should be for projected or stated county property taxes due.

There is still no adjustment nor an explanation offered from Suntrust, now Truist or Core Logic, their tax department. As an act of desperation, tried calling but got transferred, put hold again and again. Yup, you got it, we got the Suntrust, now Truist Treatment!! It is worse than COVID, at least with COVID race against humanity, you know the winning horse is still "WE DON'T KNOW," right Dr Fauci!! Suntrust is not TRUIST or Competent.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2020

124 days to process a refi. The worst experience I ever encounter refinancing a house. No communication between departments. To process the refi they had to do a subordination from a second mortgage that they also hold. This part took an extra 30 days. I will not recommend this company and will never do business again.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2020

1) I've spent hours on the phone from home and from a Suntrust Bank Branch (accompanied by a Suntrust employee) to get a simple ACH (initiated by Suntrust) problem resolved. Wait times have ranged from 15 to 57 minutes. When I do get a rep I get transferred from one department to another with more wait times and/or lines dropped. One rep had a heavy, unintelligible accent - as witnessed by the Branch employee, then we were transferred to another department (more wait time). I've had multiple reps speak over me and condescend an explanation for something not related to my call. Suntrust needs to train their customer service reps to listen, understand, then proceed. I must say I had one great rep handle my first call to tell me that neither of my BOA Billpay checks had been received.

2) Suntrust is sending inspectors to our investment homes to see if they are occupied; charging me $10.50 for each time. That sounds reasonable, except they sent inspectors multiple times in 3 months. We were on Covid forbearance (so why add charges to an already difficult situation?), yet they are stacking up these 'inspection' charges while I continue to try to get them to correct the problem with my $3374 ACH payment which their online system says was credited (my $3318 ACH made by Suntrust on the same call, for another mortgage was credited), but reps can't explain why I'm still billed otherwise. I work with Chase, NewRez, Bank of America, Provident, Wells Fargo, and Citizens - none of which inspected or charged me for inspections.

3) Suntrust online 'feedback/complaint' link does work saying, 'session timed out' when I'm obviously logged in.

4) ....

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

After 80+ days from my application and $1K in Appraisal, fees and other charges which they are refusing to refund I have given up closing with them. Watch out and be assured that you are not getting best rates in the market with high processing fees with them. Complete disorganized mess and failure of people, process and systems at this company. Stay away if you are looking to save money from refinancing. Their own people admitting to all the integration issues, system failure they are having. The company is taking on way too many application and can't keep up leaving consumer hanging with bad service.!! Stay away - you can find other lenders!!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2020

Our county assessor's office sent out 4 bills covering 2017 & 2018 late in 2018 and this apparently caused an issue with our escrow. No other county residents with other lenders had an issue. Suntrust, allegedly showing a shortage, increased our monthly payment by $230+, reportedly to cover the shortage. No explanation was given, just a letter saying our payment was going up. It took months of harassing phone calls to gather enough information to understand what had happened. Not even Suntrust understood what had happened. Now that everyone is on the same page, they are not working with me to straighten this mess out. they're not applying payments being sent in, they're charging me late fees and penalties. There is no end in sight to this issue. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!!

Original review: May 27, 2020

I spent the time filling out the online application to refinance my mortgage. No one has contacted me by phone or email. I've tried calling, but sit on hold for > 40 minutes with no one answering. Their website says that their phone lines are open until 8pm, but when I call after 5pm they say that they are closed and the automated routing system just hangs up on me.

Original review: May 5, 2020

On February 15th Over the phone I requested automatic withdraw to pay my mortgage the 17th of March. The money was in my bank account (witch thanks God is different bank) since way before the day I make that call. Someone no pay attention what they doing. Pass the hold month of March. And the money never was withdraw. I was founded because Credit Karma advise me that Sun Trust report me for late charges, which no was my fault. My score went down big time because some individual make a mistake and Sun Trust cover up this can of malpractices. The prove is for months before I do the same request nothing happen until now. Also in December 2018 my wife passed away in January 2019. I went in person to Sun Trust branch in person with the dead certificate to modify my mortgage on my name only. Sun Trust never make that change.

Original review: April 16, 2020

I recently called for a deferment due to me not working for the past 2 month due to COVID-19, I was given a 3 month deferment, now SunTrust is say that they don't care, that I need to pay now. I spoke to a few people but Tasha gave me a #. But those are the people that we'd so disrespectful Kim, Erica, ventent.

Original review: April 14, 2020

I know people who were able to defer mortgage payments for 6-12 months and have payments added to the end of the loan term. The most SunTrust will do is 3 months with all 4 payments due the first of the 4th month. If I could save 4 months of payments in the next 4 months with my business (vacation travel) dead in the water for at least 6 months, I would just pay monthly. It's grossly unfair that needed help is based on the "luck of the draw". If you're with SunTrust, you are screwed. After 3 months, you "might" be able to get a loan modification. Thousands of people got kicked to the curb when lenders couldn't keep pace with loan mod applications. I didn't have a choice regarding servicers, but I will NEVER open a bank account or credit card. WORST OF THE WORST.

Original review: April 7, 2020

I am in the process of trying to find out my payoff balance for my loan account. I was shipped around to 5 different phone numbers and none had any information about my account. I am making monthly payments to the Viera office and they are also unable to give me a payoff balance...yet they take my monthly payments. Where can I go from here?

Original review: April 6, 2020

Suntrust has changed policies to generate fees to the consumer. I refinanced my home loan and was almost forced to open a checking account for automatic withdrawal to make monthly mortgage payments. They no longer accept cash deposits as same day deposits. They automatically cancelled my direct payment and was late twice for my mortgage under these new guidelines even though the withdraw was five days early to the late date. They have charged me 17 dollar a month non usage fee for the past 3 months cause I no longer use the automatic payment method due to the late fees incurred and have just taken my check to the bank itself and have them print up the coupon.

I was also given an IRS statement that I earned 25 dollars in interest in this account that they have been taking 17 dollars out of a month. All this could be avoided by not putting any money in suntrust and just paying my mortgage through check. I am calling today to close my account and get my 150 dollars that was left in the automatic payment account and have them show me where this imaginary interest came from that I am supposed to claim to the IRS. The only thing I got from suntrust was a total of 170 dollars in fees since account was opened just trying to pay the mortgage.

Original review: March 16, 2020

I have had similar experiences as a number of people that have written in. It first started with an increase in my escrow payment, which I did not know although the representative with whom I spoke stated that they sent out a letter (which I did not receive). Letters that followed, however, have been received...and they are telling me that if I have trouble paying I should contact some agency for help. I do not need help, but every month these letters come. I have called them to no avail. They returned checks to me because I was $30 short. Instead of sending a request for the $30, I had returned checks and Overdue Notices.

This situation was finally remedied after two months and numerous phone conversations during which they agreed that they were culpable. Also, I have always taken advantage of the 15-day grace period but am now receiving dunning phone calls saying that my payment is late...and the letters... My mortgage on one property will be paid up on April 2022, but the other mortgage will be paid up several years later. If things persist, I will be looking to refinance ANYWHERE else.

My problems really started when BB&T and SunTrust merged and became Truist. I never had any issues before that and no desire to move either of my mortgages anywhere else. A word of caution: Look elsewhere if you want to be treated like a valued customer!

Original review: March 13, 2020

Over the 25 plus years we have dealt with this mortgage company, there were times we were not pleased. However they made sure the matter was solved to our satisfaction! We would recommend this company to our friends, and use them again if we needed them!

Original review: March 11, 2020

I got a bill for 2018 saying the were late and there was a lien on my home. I pay an escrow payment each month to cover this. They are investigating but it can take up to two weeks. Meanwhile there are fees growing on the account each day. The amount they say they did pay wasnt even the amount of my tax bill. I will never have another mortgage with Suntrust that's for sure.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

I have been a Suntrust customer for 10 years with excellent credit.. I just tried to get a loan with Nell **. She is a rude lady that tries to profile people.. I own a small business. She was acting like I was a drug dealer... I am in fact a retired 30 year police taking my money somewhere else... Bye.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

My husband and I purchased a 2 year old vehicle in Dec of 2018, and paid it off within a year. We went to purchase the same model, but one year newer and Suntrust indicated we have poor credit with them, when, in fact we do not. They purchased the mortgage on our rental property many years ago. So AFTER they reported us as falsely, they sent us a letter offering to give us a vehicle loan in the amount we were seeking. Luckily, it didn't affect us getting a loan as we've purchased about a dozen vehicles from this dealership.

More recently, I paid the mortgage on the 3rd of this month, the same day that I paid the mortgage on our primary residence. I always pay both mortgage payments at the same time. Chase posted the payment within 48 hours. It's been ten days now, and Suntrust STILL has not posted this payment as having been made. I could go on and on. What is troubling is that even if you don't get your original mortgage through them, banks buy and sell loans all the time and you may get stuck with them without having a say so. BAD COMPANY!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

I've been banking with SunTrust for years and they have found any way possible to make it seem my payments are delinquent. They are unbelievably crooked and have a flawed partial payment system which screws the borrower. They claim I owe 2 months mortgage when in reality I'm just short 62.00. Humans make mistakes but SunTrust takes it to a whole new level. If you're just short 5 dollars they will say they whole payment is delinquent. No matter how much I pay to straighten out the account it's still delinquent to them and they mail back the payments. They now have me in collections for 1728.00 and I only owe 62.00. Stay away from these crooks, please!

Suntrust Mortgage Company Information