Disclosures
PayPal Credit

PayPal Credit Reviews

formerly Bill Me Later

About PayPal Credit

PayPal Credit offers secure access to credit for online shoppers. It acts as a line of credit for any online purchases that accept PayPal. It offers credit access with no annual fees and no-interest financing for purchases above $99 in your first six months. PayPal Credit obscures your personal information when you purchase online and provides benefits like reimbursed shipping costs.

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • No annual fee
  • No interest over $99 for six months
  • Widely accepted online
Cons
  • Limited rewards
  • Unclear requirements

Featured Reviews

Verified
Big Lake, AK

I personally have only nice things to say about PayPal Credit. They were the first to give me a chance. My credit score was bad. But they gave me a small credit line, $250. That w...

Verified
Los Angeles, CA

I must uphold PayPal for it was PayPal… who granted me a credit line and that credit line would help the way for me to build a credit file. It was PayPal… who trusted in me when t...

What is PayPal Credit?

PayPal Credit is a digital, reusable credit line that can be used to shop online. Known for offering customers the ability to “buy now, pay later,” PayPal helps customers budget in a straightforward way. Because it obscures all personal information when you shop, PayPal is widely considered to be more safe than using a traditional credit card.

How does PayPal Credit work?

With PayPal Credit, customers simply connect their bank account to their PayPal account for secure shopping. While shops must accept PayPal in order to get payment, it’s becoming more ubiquitous across the nation, with millions of stores already accepting it online.

PayPal also offers a few additional benefits when shopping online, like reimbursements for return shipping on certain purchases and purchase protection programs.

PayPal Credit card fee

PayPal Credit does not charge an annual fee for service. All purchases over $99 receive six months of no-interest financing. After six months, interest rates apply. For new accounts, the variable-purchase APR is 23.99% at the time of publishing. No interest will be charged if you buy and pay off your account within a month.

PayPal Credit FAQ

What credit score do you need for PayPal Credit?

PayPal does not indicate what credit score is required on its website.

Does PayPal Credit affect your credit score?

Yes. Because PayPal is considered a line of credit, your credit score will be impacted. Your credit will also be checked for approval.

How do I access my PayPal Credit account?

For management, you can access it via app or on the website. If you’re trying to pay for something using PayPal Credit, you will simply check out using PayPal (if applicable) and select PayPal Credit as your payment method.

Who qualifies for PayPal Credit?

PayPal doesn’t offer information about minimum requirements for approval.

Is PayPal Credit good?

PayPal Credit is a good option for people who have good credit and who shop online a lot. Because it doesn’t give you a credit card number, it won’t replace your credit card, but it provides additional benefits, like security and financing, for shopping online. Most will find that PayPal Credit is a good addition to their current financial situation, but it does require a credit check and will report to credit bureaus.

PayPal Credit Reviews

Stars Rating

• 7%
  • 10%
  • 6%
  • 2%
  • 75%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal Credit (formerly Bill Me Later)?

Reviewed June 5, 2024

I initially signed up for PayPal Credit to purchase an item using the 'Pay in 4' option. I set up the 4 monthly payments to automatically draft from my bank account and didn't think anything of it. I received text messages each month notifying me that a payment was made successfully and received a text after four months that I had paid off the item. Imagine my surprise when I finally use the service again a few days ago to purchase an item that was $265, then get a text from Synchrony that my account surpassed $500 (I had set an alert to notify me when this happens). Confused, I logged into PayPal Credit. Sure enough, I see a balance of $700.

I look through all my history and see another item I had purchased and forgot about purchasing which was $80. How in the hell are they getting $700? I go into each month's statement. Nothing informative. Problem is that you can't view your entire history or all statements. It only goes back six months. Given that I hadn't used the service in nearly a year, these recent statements were of no value to me. I had to call to get ALL of my transaction history and statements which they are now MAILING to my home address. Why they can't send a PDF is anyone's guess.

Verified purchase
    Punctuality & Speed

Reviewed May 26, 2024

Worse experience in the last 35 years. Bought tickets from Stubhub through PayPal Credit May 2 2023. The event was cancelled two days later and I asked for a refund. PayPal Credit asked for proof of the event being canceled. I sent them pdf of 4 news articles about the event being canceled. They said they would investigate. Well a year and 17 days later they are still billing me for something I never received, and even though they supposedly investigated about 6 times, they have never let me know how their investigation turned out. They put missed payment on my excellent credit report after a year and 15 days.

Don’t buy anything online through PayPal Credit. Use a standard credit card. PayPal is owned by Synchrony Bank and they are just as bad as PayPal credit and don’t back your purchases. I canceled everything to do with Synchrony Bank such as my Amazon card, my Harbor Freight card and my PayPal credit account. Don’t fool with anyone that won’t back your purchase or guarantee you only pay for what you receive. Worse experience ever.

Melissa

I was also billed for an item I never received despite filing claims within 30 days of not receiving the item. PayPal Credit is using the PayPal house name and not honoring their policies. I am cancelling all my synchrony bank cards within a time limit that will not further hurt my credit.

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed May 18, 2024

Terrible customer service and policies. Their system duplicated my monthly payment, so I asked to be refunded the extra payment back. They were willing to refund but stated they could only do so by check??? In this day and age, you can’t do a digital refund? Fast forward a month later and I never received the check they claimed was mailed out the next day. Called to follow up, and at this point I’m thinking why bother with a check? Just apply the money back to my account. I asked the rep to stop payment on the hypothetical check that was mailed and I’ll just take the hit of paying out double last month. This way they wouldn’t have to reissue out another check. The rep puts me on hold to find out if that could be done. Again… why would that even be questioned?

I was on hold for 15 mins, only to have the call disconnected. I call back and after having to explain to the new rep the situation several times, she finally understood that I had had enough and just wanted the duplicate payment applied back to my account and forget the refund. Exhausting! All due to their system’s original error.

Price

Reviewed May 16, 2024

Very, very high interest rate. I missed a payment, which is my fault. Balance was was 110$. The interest charge was 41$ which is crazy. It’s not really worth it but then again it is what it is. It was convenient when I needed it for a purchase but I would not recommend to anyone I know.

Customer ServiceContract & TermsStaff

Reviewed April 22, 2024

I called into Paypal Credit to inquire about a charge I did not recognize. I asked for the exact name of the business (it was not clear on the account statement), and a phone number. The representative told me she had no information and couldn't provide any other details other than what I say on my statement. I told her I was sure Paypal Credit had to have the information and since she couldn't find it I asked to be transferred to a supervisor. The representative hung up on me. I called back and the call was answered by a representative from Synchrony who is the bank Paypal Credit uses. I explained the situation to that representative and she told me Synchrony Bank doesn't have the information I was requesting and to call Paypal Credit to get it.

It was a huge circle jerk, and BOTH the Paypal Credit and Synchrony Bank representatives were rude and dismissive. They were not well versed in the English language and I had to ask them to repeat themselves several times. They used terms that did not make sense, and because of that there was a tremendous amount of confusion. The Synchrony Bank representative said 'I'll go ahead and resubmit the claim for the fraudulent amount of $224.00". I said "I'm confused, you are going to 'resubmit' the claim, what do you mean? When was it submitted, I've never inquired about this charge of $224.00 before today?" She responded, "you had a claim for $96 that was submitted 2 months ago and it was resolved in your favor, so this claim of $224.00 will be 'resubmitted'".

I told her I now understood what she was doing, but explained that when she used the term "resubmitted" it confused me because there had never been a claim for $224.00 submitted in the first place. She said "it is resubmitted because you already had a claim...blah, blah, blah... do you understand now? I said "yes", and before I could continue she said "thank you for calling Synchrony and have a nice day" - and she hung up on me!! The dismissive and rude behavior from customer service from Paypal Credit and Synchrony Bank is unacceptable. I am cancelling this account, it's crappy anyway, and I don't need to do business with companies that hire people that don't have command of the English language and waste your time going round and round because they are incompetent, ignorant, rude, and not properly trained.

Eddie

Synchrony Bank as a joke. They screwed up my Lowe's account they used to be with Walmart at Walmart dropped him. You're right though I tried to change my auto pay amount on PayPal credit through the edit link. I put in a new amount and it wouldn't be accepted it said can't be more than your balance I was paying less than the prior auto pay and less than the balance.

I used to chat and they explained I had to cancel the old auto pay and set up a new one. I said that's not editing and it's lame. She blamed it on PayPal credit. I blamed it on synchrony Bank so she must have worked for synchrony Bank.

PayPal credits great if you want interest-free money for 6 to 12 months. it's awesome and that's all I use it for which is why I would change my auto pay. I've never paid these idiots any interest.

Profile pic of the author.

Reviewed April 17, 2024

I had PayPal credit for multiple years, never late on payment, just had fraud my checking account. I still make my monthly payments on time and pay more than minimum. They would close my account because I close my checking account and used different account to pay them. They claim they can’t get the money from my close account and they tried twice. Even though I pay them through different account and on time. They would try to double-take your payment without you agreed upon.

Eddie

I don't think that's PayPal I think that's synchrony Bank. I had a Lowe's account with a $2.60 credit on it. I logged on the day before my payment was due and it said current balance, so I paid the current balance. I made no more charges. Synchrony Bank sends out zero balance statements with no payment due. I got three of them from Lowe's and when I didn't respond to the $2.60 balance due that they had sent a check that I never received them they closed my account My credit rating is like 820. these people are idiots

Reviewed April 15, 2024

I had my account for almost a year... Had a $3,000 credit limit. I used it one time to buy some new tires for my car... When my first statement came out they also sent an email saying my credit line decreased from $3,000 down to $560! My tires were $546, therefore maxing out my credit account. Now I have a maxed out account on my credit report plus a limit decrease lowering my credit score.

Melissa

It seems they have a habit of altering credit limits to be in their favor and this should be further investigated. They would do that so you would pay them off faster. They increased my credit limit by thousands after I stopped payment from not receiving an order and denying my claim (it was within 30 days of not receiving the order- they disregarded my consumer rights). Canceling all my synchrony cards!!

Reviewed April 12, 2024

Horrible! I’ve had PayPal credit for 2 weeks and it is not working. I’ve spent All Day on the phone trying to get it corrected and they are telling me there is nothing they can do about it. Evidently NO MERCHANTS take it.

Reviewed April 10, 2024

While verifying my PayPal credit balance, I realized that accidentally a double payment of almost 2k was made to Synchrony bank. As a PayPal customer, I would think that synchrony bank would correct the error and immediately refund their customer (just like my current bank does). Instead, I contacted synchrony bank, and they explained that they keep payments sent in error for two months and then reach out to the customer to see if they would be interested in receiving reimbursement via check or allow them to keep it by reflecting it as purchase credit in PayPal.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed April 5, 2024

I made a payment and they said that I paid hours early before the statement turned over to the new statement month. I called and spoke with a lady who assured me it was corrected and there was nothing else for me to do. Then after my due date sent me a notification that I was late on my payment and would receive a late fee. I called up and they were unable to help me with correcting the situation. They took off the late fee but to my credit score, it was a late payment. They also upped my minimum payment to a lot higher because they now say I missed a payment. I have paid my bills on time with them and have been a loyal customer for many years using them for my online purchases. It is disgraceful the way I was treated and how they handled this situation.

PayPal Credit Company Information

PayPal Credit (formerly Bill Me Later)
      www.billmelater.com