Disclosures

PayPal Credit

formerly Bill Me Later

3.9/5 (758 ratings)

About PayPal Credit

PayPal Credit offers secure access to credit for online shoppers. It acts as a line of credit for any online purchases that accept PayPal. It offers credit access with no annual fees and no-interest financing for purchases above $99 in your first six months. PayPal Credit obscures your personal information when you purchase online and provides benefits like reimbursed shipping costs.

Pros

• No annual fee
  • No interest over $99 for six months
  • Widely accepted online

Cons

• Limited rewards
  • Unclear requirements

Bottom Line

PayPal Credit is a secure and convenient way to shop online. While its website doesn’t offer information about qualification requirements, the no-interest financing and no annual fees make it a popular credit option.

Top PayPal Credit Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal Credit (formerly Bill Me Later)?

Verified

I personally have only nice things to say about PayPal Credit. They were the first to give me a chance. My credit score was bad. But they gave me a small credit line, $250. That w...

Verified

I must uphold PayPal for it was PayPal… who granted me a credit line and that credit line would help the way for me to build a credit file. It was PayPal… who trusted in me when t...

What is PayPal Credit?

PayPal Credit is a digital, reusable credit line that can be used to shop online. Known for offering customers the ability to “buy now, pay later,” PayPal helps customers budget in a straightforward way. Because it obscures all personal information when you shop, PayPal is widely considered to be more safe than using a traditional credit card.

How does PayPal Credit work?

With PayPal Credit, customers simply connect their bank account to their PayPal account for secure shopping. While shops must accept PayPal in order to get payment, it’s becoming more ubiquitous across the nation, with millions of stores already accepting it online.

PayPal also offers a few additional benefits when shopping online, like reimbursements for return shipping on certain purchases and purchase protection programs.

PayPal Credit card fee

PayPal Credit does not charge an annual fee for service. All purchases over $99 receive six months of no-interest financing. After six months, interest rates apply. For new accounts, the variable-purchase APR is 23.99% at the time of publishing. No interest will be charged if you buy and pay off your account within a month.

PayPal Credit FAQ

What credit score do you need for PayPal Credit?

PayPal does not indicate what credit score is required on its website.

Does PayPal Credit affect your credit score?

Yes. Because PayPal is considered a line of credit, your credit score will be impacted. Your credit will also be checked for approval.

How do I access my PayPal Credit account?

For management, you can access it via app or on the website. If you’re trying to pay for something using PayPal Credit, you will simply check out using PayPal (if applicable) and select PayPal Credit as your payment method.

Who qualifies for PayPal Credit?

PayPal doesn’t offer information about minimum requirements for approval.

Is PayPal Credit good?

PayPal Credit is a good option for people who have good credit and who shop online a lot. Because it doesn’t give you a credit card number, it won’t replace your credit card, but it provides additional benefits, like security and financing, for shopping online. Most will find that PayPal Credit is a good addition to their current financial situation, but it does require a credit check and will report to credit bureaus.

PayPal Credit Reviews

Original review: Feb. 5, 2023

I made a payable account and for no reason can not receive money...and neither can not send money. Furthermore, I asked my business partner to send money to my colleague on his PayPal account however after sending money to him. Paypal deducted their transfer amount in dollars and moreover they hold the money since couple of months till now..!!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2023

It took me over 10 days to finally get PayPal to close my account, due to fraud, because Synchrony Bank whom I owed nothing to close my account. FYI there is no brick and mortar synchrony Bank!!!!

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2023

Just a warning for you so that you don't have the same experience. I have been using the PayPal Credit app for years. Not once, ever, has there been any communication about a "Non-Promotional Balance". Apparently, every time you make a purchase using PayPal Credit that is less than $99, you get charged. I don't even know how much you have to pay per transaction because they couldn't tell me. Nowhere in the app, in my statements, or on the website (that I can find) does it mention this charge. I was diligently working to pay my balance down.

When I saw that all of my purchases were paid off, but that I still had a balance, I called them to see why that was. I spoke to a manager, and I kept getting the, well it's in the Terms & Conditions Agreement, and no acknowledgment of the fact that this information and policy are nowhere obvious. You would think that if they were a responsible company looking to protect their customers, they would communicate more clearly about this obviously significant policy and how it will affect customers. Instead, they bury it in jargon that few, if any ever read. Needless to say, I am never using this service, or PayPal in general, again. They have lost a customer for life, not that they care. Shame on you PayPal!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2023

I did not receive an item that I ordered. It was my first-time ordering through a company, so naturally I used Paypal as they have always been reputable in the past. WRONG. Paypal Credit is owned by Synchrony Bank and is NOT associated with Paypal's customer service that we are all familiar with. They are NOT to be trusted. I filed a claim, and Paypal ruled in the seller's favor as the item said delivered, however I never received it and the seller never even sent tracking information to my email. This wasn't a small purchase either, it was almost $300. Now I have a $288 charge, and nothing to show for it. I see a lot of similar reviews and believe that a class action lawsuit should be filed against Paypal credit. If Paypal cares about its reputation - it should stop doing business with Synchrony Bank. I do not advise anyone to open a PayPal Credit account.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2022

I purchased an item on EBay, paid with PayPal Credit on 6 months no interest. I canceled the item, but EBay shipped it anyway. I refused the shipment just like I told the Seller I would, I never laid hands on the goods, I refused it directly with the courier. However, Synchrony would owns the credit card, said that their protocol only allows for, if the item shipped. The fact That I refused it doesn’t matter. Keep this in mind when using this service. I am disputing with the Credit Bureaus because they didn’t care that I never received the item.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2022

I placed on order for an ebike shipping from China in the amt of $82.80, on 2/21/22. I opened a dispute within days of the order. The ebike never arrived and was told a credit would be issued and was issued 4/24/22. In reviewing my statement they never issued a credit of 82.80 to acct. This is fraud in itself.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2022

I've contacted corporate and main office about how I can't log in to my account because I no longer have access to the phone number but to no avail, they keep sending same typo login to account to message them but how can I when I don't have phone number.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2022

I won an auction on eBid for a supposed Playstation 5. The seller a few days later said they sent it to my home. They provided a tracking number for FedEx. The problem is it didn't designate an address, just merely that it was delivered to a home in the city I live in, Groveland Florida. I tried to speak with the seller because the package never got to me. They provided a custom tracking label (which is from his own company and if he's a professional scammer means nothing) and a FedEx label picture with the Street Address whited out (seemed like from paint or something similar).

I contacted FedEx because not only did this package with this tracking number not reach my home, it was reported as only weighing 1 lb. Playstation 5s weigh 15 lbs. FedEx provided the customer account number when I explained the situation. That allowed me to pull up the official FedEx slip as the seller originally wrote it. The seller seemingly picked out a random person that lives in my city and sent it to her. This woman has NO relation to me & I don't know her. She's not even in the same neighborhood.

When I spoke to PayPal, they told me I can't speak with the disputes department. I opened up several disputes with ALL of this information, evidence and screenshots of where it was actually sent. They refused to speak with FedEx or to do any more work on this. They sided with the seller EVERY time, SOLELY because the seller provided the same custom label and the edited FedEx tracking slip that only says it was delivered to my city somewhere, with not even an address. Now I'm out hundreds & PayPal doesn't care, doesn't allow me to speak with anyone that can change or help, & a felonious thief gets rewarded while an innocent customer gets victimized.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2022

I made a payment on Nov. 2nd and got bill afterwards and payment was due on Nov 26th. The next bill stated I did not make Nov. payment and was charged a late fee. I called and they said they could not change It and even talked to a manager named Connie who said they could not change it because I paid early. So I would not recommend using them.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2022

This is a tough call for me. PayPal Credit has basically been a decent company for me to deal with. They've gone to bat on my behalf when I did not receive a purchase and a couple of times, when I fell for an online scam. I've only ever had to call them twice in my 12 year history with them. Most recently, I called yesterday and I was disappointed to hear the ** accent on the other end of the phone. The rep was told to tell me certain things that I think are untrue, and one of those things has to do with the law in the United States. The Card Act of 2009 requires that credit card companies apply any amount paid over the minimum to be applied to the highest interest balance.

In October, I paid $230 over the minimum that should have been applied to my "standard purchases" of $170 that were garnering interest at 26.24%. The rest of my balance was a $400 no-interest for 6 months purchase. PayPal applied the entire $230 over the minimum to the no-interest balance which will not accrue any interest until April of 2023. To me, they broke the law. The ** customer service rep told me that PayPal requires me to CALL THEM when I make a payment and ask them to apply it to the higher interest balance. That is not my understanding of the Card Act of 2009. The law was changed to prevent credit issuing companies from doing this very thing: applying extra funds to the lowest interest balances so that they can get higher interest payments from the consumer.

So while I do have some favorable feelings toward PayPal and my history with them, the fact that they are breaking the law is disturbing. I only noticed because my balance at this point is so low, but when I had a high balance in the thousands of dollars, of course I wasn't looking at every single charge to see how they were paying off my interest or non-interest balances. I must assume they are mis-applying everyone's payments and if you don't notice, too bad for you. The one thing all of us should require from any credit issuing company is HONESTY. I think PayPal has displayed that they are not honest and that they are willing to break the law if it increases their profits.

PayPal Credit Company Information

PayPal Credit (formerly Bill Me Later)
    www.billmelater.com