Disclosures
PayPal Credit

PayPal Credit Reviews

formerly Bill Me Later

About PayPal Credit

PayPal Credit offers secure access to credit for online shoppers. It acts as a line of credit for any online purchases that accept PayPal. It offers credit access with no annual fees and no-interest financing for purchases above $99 in your first six months. PayPal Credit obscures your personal information when you purchase online and provides benefits like reimbursed shipping costs.

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • No annual fee
  • No interest over $99 for six months
  • Widely accepted online
Cons
  • Limited rewards
  • Unclear requirements

PayPal Credit Reviews

Stars Rating

• 4%
  • 6%
  • 5%
  • 1%
  • 84%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal Credit (formerly Bill Me Later)?

Customer ServiceContract & TermsStaff

Reviewed April 22, 2024

I called into Paypal Credit to inquire about a charge I did not recognize. I asked for the exact name of the business (it was not clear on the account statement), and a phone number. The representative told me she had no information and couldn't provide any other details other than what I say on my statement. I told her I was sure Paypal Credit had to have the information and since she couldn't find it I asked to be transferred to a supervisor. The representative hung up on me. I called back and the call was answered by a representative from Synchrony who is the bank Paypal Credit uses. I explained the situation to that representative and she told me Synchrony Bank doesn't have the information I was requesting and to call Paypal Credit to get it.

It was a huge circle jerk, and BOTH the Paypal Credit and Synchrony Bank representatives were rude and dismissive. They were not well versed in the English language and I had to ask them to repeat themselves several times. They used terms that did not make sense, and because of that there was a tremendous amount of confusion. The Synchrony Bank representative said 'I'll go ahead and resubmit the claim for the fraudulent amount of $224.00". I said "I'm confused, you are going to 'resubmit' the claim, what do you mean? When was it submitted, I've never inquired about this charge of $224.00 before today?" She responded, "you had a claim for $96 that was submitted 2 months ago and it was resolved in your favor, so this claim of $224.00 will be 'resubmitted'".

I told her I now understood what she was doing, but explained that when she used the term "resubmitted" it confused me because there had never been a claim for $224.00 submitted in the first place. She said "it is resubmitted because you already had a claim...blah, blah, blah... do you understand now? I said "yes", and before I could continue she said "thank you for calling Synchrony and have a nice day" - and she hung up on me!! The dismissive and rude behavior from customer service from Paypal Credit and Synchrony Bank is unacceptable. I am cancelling this account, it's crappy anyway, and I don't need to do business with companies that hire people that don't have command of the English language and waste your time going round and round because they are incompetent, ignorant, rude, and not properly trained.

Eddie

Synchrony Bank as a joke. They screwed up my Lowe's account they used to be with Walmart at Walmart dropped him. You're right though I tried to change my auto pay amount on PayPal credit through the edit link. I put in a new amount and it wouldn't be accepted it said can't be more than your balance I was paying less than the prior auto pay and less than the balance.

I used to chat and they explained I had to cancel the old auto pay and set up a new one. I said that's not editing and it's lame. She blamed it on PayPal credit. I blamed it on synchrony Bank so she must have worked for synchrony Bank.

PayPal credits great if you want interest-free money for 6 to 12 months. it's awesome and that's all I use it for which is why I would change my auto pay. I've never paid these idiots any interest.

Reviewed April 17, 2024

I had PayPal credit for multiple years, never late on payment, just had fraud my checking account. I still make my monthly payments on time and pay more than minimum. They would close my account because I close my checking account and used different account to pay them. They claim they can’t get the money from my close account and they tried twice. Even though I pay them through different account and on time. They would try to double-take your payment without you agreed upon.

Eddie

I don't think that's PayPal I think that's synchrony Bank. I had a Lowe's account with a $2.60 credit on it. I logged on the day before my payment was due and it said current balance, so I paid the current balance. I made no more charges. Synchrony Bank sends out zero balance statements with no payment due. I got three of them from Lowe's and when I didn't respond to the $2.60 balance due that they had sent a check that I never received them they closed my account My credit rating is like 820. these people are idiots

Reviewed April 15, 2024

I had my account for almost a year... Had a $3,000 credit limit. I used it one time to buy some new tires for my car... When my first statement came out they also sent an email saying my credit line decreased from $3,000 down to $560! My tires were $546, therefore maxing out my credit account. Now I have a maxed out account on my credit report plus a limit decrease lowering my credit score.

Melissa

It seems they have a habit of altering credit limits to be in their favor and this should be further investigated. They would do that so you would pay them off faster. They increased my credit limit by thousands after I stopped payment from not receiving an order and denying my claim (it was within 30 days of not receiving the order- they disregarded my consumer rights). Canceling all my synchrony cards!!

Reviewed April 12, 2024

Horrible! I’ve had PayPal credit for 2 weeks and it is not working. I’ve spent All Day on the phone trying to get it corrected and they are telling me there is nothing they can do about it. Evidently NO MERCHANTS take it.

Reviewed April 10, 2024

While verifying my PayPal credit balance, I realized that accidentally a double payment of almost 2k was made to Synchrony bank. As a PayPal customer, I would think that synchrony bank would correct the error and immediately refund their customer (just like my current bank does). Instead, I contacted synchrony bank, and they explained that they keep payments sent in error for two months and then reach out to the customer to see if they would be interested in receiving reimbursement via check or allow them to keep it by reflecting it as purchase credit in PayPal.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed April 5, 2024

I made a payment and they said that I paid hours early before the statement turned over to the new statement month. I called and spoke with a lady who assured me it was corrected and there was nothing else for me to do. Then after my due date sent me a notification that I was late on my payment and would receive a late fee. I called up and they were unable to help me with correcting the situation. They took off the late fee but to my credit score, it was a late payment. They also upped my minimum payment to a lot higher because they now say I missed a payment. I have paid my bills on time with them and have been a loyal customer for many years using them for my online purchases. It is disgraceful the way I was treated and how they handled this situation.

Reviewed March 29, 2024

They are quick to get you in originally had a $700 balance. Never late and never over the limit. Paid before statement came out and out of the blue they dropped my credit line to $100. Keep in mind the bank behind them is Synchrony avoid both at all cost!!!! The customer is awful and they seem to decrease or close accounts regardless of pay history.

Sales & MarketingPrice

Reviewed March 28, 2024

I've been with PayPal Credit since it was Bill Me Later. My balance on one transaction, that expired on April 2, 2024, was $1011. I made a payment and PayPal credited that payment to a transaction that doesn't expire until July, instead of the transaction that was set to expire in April. I messaged them to have them allocate my payment to the transaction that is about to expire (and happens to have the highest interest charge). Instead, they allocated my payment to other transactions and the balance on my $1011 balance transaction is now $1900. Their system purposely allocates payments to the transaction with the lowest interest due so you will end up owing interests on the "no interests transactions".

At this point, I am not sure all my payments have been allocated to my balance. I am paying off my transactions and staying away from this system. Be warned that their system is purposely forcing a consumer to pay off the "no interest for 6 month" transactions in a manner that is not beneficial to the consumer. The system is a bait and switch!

Verified purchase

Reviewed March 13, 2024

Without a doubt, PayPal Credits Fraud departments behind the mass scams going on with clients’ accounts. Just like most the others that’s left feedback, money has come up missing and I caught them lying about it from the beginning. I put money into an online wallet, which they did a return within two hours, I hadn't bought anything with it, and it was simply for future work. I confronted them right away about the money missing in August and they said I called it in as fraud, which was a full and complete lie. I have proof I began to say I never said it was fraud, that someone in PayPal Credit did, right away. I began to ask for proof of me calling it in as fraud because I could have withdrawn it. That’s when they admitted on 3 occasions someone from the fraud department did the return, then they would say I did, then they would say they did.

Now again they are claiming I did and had bought something with it; however, I don’t even believe they contacted the company because you don’t purchase when you put money in the wallet. You put money in your wallet then decide to purchase, so what they were saying was a lie. The other company provided a refund number saying they refunded it right away in August. I have 8 official letters from them saying it was returned and PayPal Credit, lying saying they didn’t and kept it for products I received and it’s not true at all.

The way they described why they kept the money didn’t make sense for how this company does business in the first place. They would say talk to the other company running me in circles. Not to mention, I never requested the money be returned, PayPal Credit Fraud Department did, now it's lost. I shouldn’t be responsible for it, they did it. I have official writing where I am telling the company I never requested the money be taken out of my wallet in August. Come to Oct 7, 2023. They had made a new account and forwarded the $1,227.00 to make me pay for it. It’s crazy how the money I caught them lying about, ended up missing, months later forwarded to my account, has come up completely missing and they are making me pay for something they did in the first place. Not only do I have to pay for the missing money, that they did a return on, now they are making me pay interest on it.

I turned official police reports in and contacted the Better Business Bureau. The fraud departments pocketing all this money, it’s clear to see with all these same stories of PayPal Credit, making new accounts without client’s permission or knowledge, forwarding balances acting like they don’t understand anything your saying, spinning you in circles and making up stuff that doesn’t make sense. There is too many of us experiencing money just missing. It’s going somewhere into someone’s pocket. Which isn’t fair to us as consumers. Be very aware of the scams and fraud being done by them and use caution.

Reviewed March 11, 2024

That’s pretty bad considering the quality of the other customer service departments out there! Thanks for nothing! Identifying items purchased and what they were for. Called four times in a row and every time was hung up because the machine didn’t work.

Reviewed Feb. 27, 2024

I have had an account open with them for about 3 years, I always make my payments on time. Decided to pay it off fully and they decreased my limit to $100. They are very quick to decrease your credit limit with zero notification.

Reviewed Feb. 24, 2024

I religiously pay my bills on time, but even after I’ve applied the notifications to my account. They DO NOT notify you until your account is way past due and you owe a hefty late fee, which they WILL NOT forgive!!! Do not get caught up in this debt!!

Reviewed Feb. 12, 2024

Been with PayPal credit over 3 years and paid account balance off several times since. I had my bank account hacked and had to change account number so since it was disconnected from PayPal and auto pay returned for closed account on old account didn’t bounce over like NFCU stated it would so they closed my account making credit usage high therefore DROPPING MY CREDIT SCORE Before I needed to close on home. Horrible experience and customer service experience a joke.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedOnline & AppStaff

Reviewed Jan. 6, 2024

I've had a PayPal credit card and credit line for years, linked to my bank account for monthly payments. A few months ago, my Paypal account became disconnected from my bank account somehow, and so I tried to re-connect the two on their website. Every time it gave me an error message. So I started contacting their customer service, via email, the chat option, and by phone. Over a period of months and many, many attempts, they were unable to resolve the issue, and I started to wrack up numerous late fees and penalties, and their collection line started blowing up my phone. But when I'd talk to their agents, they were consistently unhelpful, either telling me a) there was nothing they could do, b) all I had to do was go to their website to link the accounts (not true), or c) they'd say they were transferring me to another department, and the line would hang up on me. Many of them, on a side note, were quite rude and unprofessional.

Finally today, after months of frustration, I got ahold of the nicest, most helpful lady, who quickly identified what was clearly a minor issue on the Paypal side, and in about 10 seconds fixed the problem that none of her colleagues could either identify or fix. So I then spoke to a supervisor about getting the late fees removed and filing a complaint (because they weren't my fault! It was totally a Paypal issue). He said he couldn't do that, and I'd have to write a physical letter to corporate. Paypal "customer service" is difficult to get ahold of, often long hold times, typically unfriendly and unhelpful reps, supervisors who are not empowered to fix or escalate issues, the website is awful...They're just in general a disaster. I would not recommend anyone getting a Paypal credit account or credit card...if you ever have to reach out to customer service for any problem or question, it will be a stressful mess. Avoid them at all costs!!!

Reviewed Dec. 16, 2023

I had a problem with a merchant charge and was given the runaround. They did not care that I was scammed. I will not use this service again. Do yourself a favor and use a reputable credit card company.

Reviewed Dec. 14, 2023

I had my account on autopay for about 2 years. Never had a problem. Then one month it cancelled my auto pay and charged me late fees. They no longer want to use the bank I had. Then they closed my account. No notice nothing. Will never use PayPal again.

Reviewed Dec. 8, 2023

I just got $200 of credit line. Asked for a raise after 1 year and just got $400 now. While I have a credit score of 750 and up to $15000 of credit on other cards. Do yourself a favor and never apply for this. It's not worth it.

Reviewed Dec. 7, 2023

I have been trying to contact PayPal about cancelling a dispute with a vendor that has been corrected. I called 3 times yesterday and got hung up on. So I am trying today and it took me 3 minutes to get rid of the computer. Then I was put on hold and when I got through I found out that they had never put the complaint in, in the 1st place.

Sales & Marketing

Reviewed Dec. 4, 2023

I made a purchase and charged it to PayPal credit. The item was never received. I contacted the vendor and was ghosted. I filed a dispute with PayPal. They did an investigation and the end result, the charge was left on my account. The company I dealt with was an international seller, Coolnary. It appears to have been a scam. I will not be using PayPal again. From my experience, credit card companies work with you when this happens. Now, I have to pay over $100 for merchandise not received.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed Dec. 2, 2023

I received a Paypal Mastercard. Couldn't get a simple answer as to why a newly activated card was being declined. Was transferred 6 times! Had to start over with a BOT! Customer Serv Reps, Incompetent!

Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed Nov. 21, 2023

I can not believe this company is allowed to exist. Where is the Consumer Protection Affairs department to protect consumers from this unethical, deceptive, and fraudulent credit service??? I have NUMEROUS issues with this company that after months of dealing with them I have gotten Zero help resolving. Worst part, every time I try and contact this company to resolve my problem, once I have explained my issue, the phone call conveniently drops. Here is my list of issues:

1. I made a purchase from a merchant using the 6 month same as cash. I returned the purchase. PP did not allocate my refund toward the purchase. Instead, they applied it to another purchase that was the furthest out for the promotional 0% interest for 6 months. Example: Purchase 1 made in June. Purchase 1 would be due in December. Purchase 2 made in October. Purchase 2’s balance due April. And so on. I return purchase 1 and receive a refund. They do not refund the credit to purchase 1. Instead, they refund is applied to the October’s purchase due in April.

This is a very simplified example. I made numerous purchases over a period of 6 months preparing for my wedding. Numerous items returned. The refunds were applied to my latest purchase and not to the purchase that was returned. This completely screws the consumer. They push out refunds to purchases that would not be due for another 6 months leaving you owing IN FULL, the merchandise purchased 6 months prior to that.

2. I was keeping up with my refunds and credits. Saw this was occurring and contacted them. Their excuse was “we apply the refunds to any purchase that would incur the largest interest if not paid off by its due date.” WHAT!!!! So when my statement comes due- I owe the full balance of that purchase!!!”

3. I meticulously keep up with my balances. Debits, credits, returns. I discovered not only problem 2, but also that my refunds were not all being credited!!!! I called on both issues. Their resolution- adjustments to my account that would have brought it to the correct balance. Almost 1/2 of what was currently shown. I receive my next bill. They reapplied the adjustments and applied those credits bringing my balance back up to what it was!!! Not only that. My balance due to avoid interest is THE FULL AMOUNT OF ALL ADJUSTMENTS! What would have been $230, now, $2100!!!! The amount of refunds I had, that were adjusted, but credited back before my statement was due. This is THEFT! I cannot believe they are allowed to do this. There needs to be a class action lawsuit. I have read numerous reviews that this is not only happening to me but many others.

Reviewed Nov. 16, 2023

I purchased 2 shirts from PJ Jones. I only received one of the shirts. Tried contacting PJ Jones. Luck was not good. Reported to PayPal. Started investigation 3 weeks later. They PayPal closed the investigation. Said PJ Jones sent both shirts. Meanwhile I’m out of 37.00 for a shirt I never received. Kroger used my account. After I ordered groceries one of their employees used the account at Lowe's and added it it to the Kroger bill. Tried to get help from PayPal. They added the money until investigation was completed. Said I received my groceries. Yes I did but what about the extra money charge to my account? PayPal pulled their money back. Now I’m out of more money that I won't get back. Do not leave your bank account connected to PayPal. PayPal will let someone drain your account and will not refund it back to you. Stay away from PayPal. Credit is not worth the loss of your money.

Reviewed Nov. 15, 2023

I purchased "reverse health" in error. I thought it was another program similar name. I immediately after purchase requested cancelation and refund. The company of course would not refund me. I went to PayPal and provide proof of everything and they rule in the seller's favor after seeing my emails to them. This is not the first issue I've had with PayPal. I'll be paying off my balance this week and closing my PayPal credit account.

Reviewed Nov. 12, 2023

I purchased concert tickets using PayPal excited about making monthly payments. Found out that PayPal charged me for the full price of the tickets $1500. My account was left with $98. PayPal told me to get a refund from TicketMaster for the tickets that I worked so hard to get.

Reviewed Nov. 7, 2023

It is not part of PayPal, they pawned it to a 3rd party service or so it seems. If you call PayPal to express your concerns or problems they give you a different phone number to call. I bought an item from Ebay and used the PayPal credit to pay for it. The item I purchased was damaged and the seller knew about it prior to shipping. I refused to keep it, sent it back with a provide shipping label. The only thing I did not know was that I paid for the return shipping. If the seller knew the damage was there he should have reported or gave that information prior to selling it and he should have been responsible for the return shipping. I would have never bought the item with the damage. I left the seller negative feedback and Ebay did not stick him with the negative feedback but made me paid for the return. POOR BUSINESS PRACTICE.

Customer ServicePriceOnline & AppStaff

Reviewed Nov. 1, 2023

I was purchasing items through PayPal for years. I never had any issues. I used their credit card to purchase many items. Then I looked into my bank account and my savings account was compromised through the PayPal app. $30,000. I closed everything and had to start all over again. My savings account information was stored within their website to pay PayPal. My bad. The site is unsecure. Their only concern is when you have a negative balance due to their insecure platform. The only reason why I had a negative balance was due to paying a website named PayPal of which their customer service agent let me know that was not them. How or why I have no idea? They didn't even know who it was. It was laughable. Unsecure website. Convenient at a high cost of having to remove decades of auto pays.

I will never be that trusting again. Be warned PayPal is not a secure website. They apologize with nothing to back up the sheer negligence. They could literally take you or leave you. I spent thousands of dollars through this platform. Find a secure credit card company that actually cares about your financial health. Don't use PayPal. If you do, do not attach any banking information unless it's a debit card. You're better off calling in every month and paying over the phone.

Reviewed Oct. 26, 2023

Two separate times I did a dispute for different things!!! This one, a product that was suppose to be a 16 oz and they sent me a 4 oz. I gave Paypal pictures, emails, everything they wanted and they still denied the dispute! Due to not enough information. WHAT!!! I gave them everything!!! The website even took the posting off the website and not a mention of them from paypal. Trying to get through to someone was a nightmare. Finally did and they said they would reopen it. Well they never did!!! Tried again and they said it was closed. I even showed them pictures of how much I paid for a 16 oz since I buy this product often. They want their money and don't care about their customers. I'm not letting it happen a 3rd time.

Sales & MarketingPrice

Reviewed Oct. 17, 2023

In my last activity to Paypal, I was charged for scammed transaction, I filed a claim but Paypal preferred to side the scammer. In short, I called my bank linked in my account so that Paypal will not charged me for the scammed transaction, After several years, I received a collection from Paypal under 3rd party collection and I ignored and after few years they filed in a court for mandatory payment from employer and they charged twice from my last transaction. I'm struggling for a few balance remaining in my employment checks (but I guess they don't care of course).

My point is since I paid all my original balances already but still keep charging my as an interest from my original balance of $2,405 to $ 3,791 as of today and keep charging more, already paid automatic payment from my my employment of $3,200 but still keep charging, I may ask legal assistance cause the 3rd party keep charging me. Struggling financially of scammed transaction. (Feeling disappointed - I have 4 children and it's really hard financially deducted $500-$700 per pay check.)

Reviewed Oct. 14, 2023

I have had a PayPal account for a number of years and still have been enjoying the benefits of it. Recently, I got PayPal Credit to help work around some occasional financial tension from this horrible economy. Unfortunately, I learned very quickly that I should’ve gotten a real credit card instead. While this may be good for online shopping, it is very limited on almost anything beyond this and is basically funny money that cannot be accessed. I did find out I can use it on the McDonald's and possibly the Target app. Most apps however don’t even provide this as an option and it cannot be used to refuel your car. I’m no financial expert but if you are looking to get a credit card, don’t waste your time with this service.

Reviewed Oct. 13, 2023

This is my second time have a fraud charge at PayPal website. My account was hacked through PayPal, so PayPal is not safe for any transaction for everybody, this is so ridiculous. I have to change my credit card only because of the PayPal for two times. Very bad experience because of PayPal. That’s ridiculous.

PayPal Credit Company Information

PayPal Credit (formerly Bill Me Later)
    www.billmelater.com