4.7/5 (110 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Jennifer Schurman
Edited by Sally Jones

About Home.com by Homefinity

Home.com by Homefinity (NMLS #2289) is a mortgage lender with multiple home purchase and refinancing options. It’s part of Fairway Independent Mortgage Corp., which funded over $72.5 billion in loans in 2021. You can apply for a mortgage loan online and work directly with an experienced loan officer through the process.

Pros

• Convenient online application
  • Dedicated loan officer to assist with application
  • Customizable rate quotes
  • Fast preapproval decisions

Cons

• No jumbo loans or USDA loans
  • No in-person branches

Bottom Line

Home.com is an easy-to-use online mortgage lender with personalized loan options and quick preapproval decisions. The entire loan process can be completed online. It’s a solid option for borrowers with good credit who want the convenience of a digital application process.

Top Home.com by Homefinity Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home.com?

Verified

I've closed on homes before in Florida and it has not been so easy. My rate was great. I was totally satisfied with everything. I told one of the brokers that I was a little nervo...

Verified

It was complicated for someone of my age because I had to produce 21 PDFs of documentation, and they walked me through that process when I had problems with it. A lot of people be...

Rates

Home.com is transparent about its rates, publishing interest rates and annual percentage rates (APRs) for 15-, 20- and 30-year fixed-rate loans on its website. You can get a customized rate quote by entering your ZIP code, credit score range, purchase price and down payment. However, this quote won’t be as accurate as obtaining preapproval. The customized rate quotes don’t consider your debt-to-income ratio, which is an important factor lenders use to determine your interest rate.

Home.com offers both fixed-rate and adjustable-rate mortgages (ARMs). An ARM could make sense if you anticipate refinancing your loan or selling your property before the interest rate adjusts for the first time.

From 2019 to 2021, Fairway Independent Mortgage Corp. had a slightly higher average home purchase rate than the national average, according to Home Mortgage Disclosure Act data. (Fairway also does business as Home.com.)

Home.com by Homefinity average home purchase rate vs. national average

YearDifference from national average
2021+0.08%
2020+0.03%
2019+0.19%
Information pulled from public Home Mortgage Disclosure Act data. Rates reflect noncommercial home purchase loans only. Data is for Fairway Independent Mortgage Corporation, which also does business as Home.com by Homefinity.

Application process

You can start the application process with Home.com by requesting a rate quote online. The company will ask for some preliminary information, like the type of property you want to buy and your decision-making timeline. After you answer a few short questions, you'll input your name and email address for the company to send you a quote.

You’ll receive the quote by email and a link to start your application. A loan officer will also contact you by phone or email to see if you need assistance. It may be a good idea to chat with the loan officer before you complete the application; they can offer recommendations for loan options based on your situation.

Be prepared to give your loan officer information about your assets, debt and income. It may be helpful to have ready recent pay stubs, bank statements, previous years’ tax returns and retirement account statements. You’ll be asked to upload these documents to the loan portal to complete an application.

Jay, a ConsumerAffairs reviewer from Texas, said of the loan process at Homefinity: “I liked the rates that Homefinity had. … I was able to upload all my stuff on their portal. They were very responsive, and I would work with them again if I had the need. The loan officer, his assistants and even the guy that looked over all the loan docs were very accommodating and nice.”

After you’ve submitted your application, you could receive a preapproval decision in one hour or less. Your loan officer will help you through the entire closing process. Once your loan has closed, it’s possible that it may be sold to another lender for servicing. However, keep in mind that your loan terms won’t change with a new servicer.

Home.com by Homefinity application features

FeaturesAvailability
Online application
Mobile document upload
Physical branchesX
Publishes minimum rate on website
Rate lock30 days
Pre-qualification (no hard credit pull)X
Certified approval letter

Loan types

Home.com offers conventional loans (fixed-rate or adjustable-rate), FHA loans and VA loans. Conventional loans come in 15- and 30-year terms. You can also refinance with Home.com, whether you want to get cash from your equity or lower your monthly payment. The company does not currently offer USDA loans or jumbo loans.

In 2021, Fairway received 188,143 home purchase loan applications. About 75% turned into closed loans. About 6% were denied.

Loan applications for home purchases only by year

202120202019
Home purchase applications188,143180,706138,878
Home purchase loans closed141,220133,125107,018
Home purchase applications denied11,4089,2605,272
Home purchase preapprovals denied1,780810688
Information pulled from public Home Mortgage Disclosure Act data. Includes conventional, USDA, VA and FHA mortgages. Data is for Fairway Independent Mortgage Corporation, which also does business as Home.com by Homefinity.

Refinancing

In 2021, Home.com originated more home purchase loans than refinance loans. About 64% of loans originated by Home.com in 2021 were for home purchases, while about 36% were a combination of rate-and-term refinance loans and cash-out refinances.

In 2020 and 2021, many borrowers refinanced their existing mortgages in order to take advantage of low interest rates. Refinancing to lock in a lower rate can lower your mortgage payment and reduce the total amount of interest you’ll pay on the loan.

Home purchase vs. refinance loans by year

202120202019
Home purchase loans63.55%60.40%75.74%
Refinance loans21.59%29.34%15.23%
Cash-out refinance14.30%9.95%8.60%
Information pulled from public Home Mortgage Disclosure Act Data. Includes conventional, USDA, VA and FHA mortgages. Data is for Fairway Independent Mortgage Corporation, which also does business as Home.com by Homefinity.

Requirements

Home.com does not list its minimum credit score requirements. However, the industry standard is 620 for a conventional loan, 500 for an FHA loan and 580 for a VA loan. Credit score is just one factor lenders use to determine what loans you qualify for, what interest rate you pay and how much you can borrow.

The company does list its minimum down payment requirements. You’ll need to offer 3% down to qualify for a conventional loan, but its FHA loans have slightly higher standards than industry norms. You can offer a 3.5% down payment if your credit score is 620 or above (industry standard is 3.5% with at least a 580 score). VA loans have no down payment requirements.

Home.com mortgage requirements by type

Min. credit scoreMin. down paymentCompare with other lenders
ConventionalNot disclosed, but typically 6203%Mortgage lenders
FHANot disclosed, but typically 5003.5% with 620 credit scoreFHA lenders
VANot disclosed, but often 5800%VA lenders

For other loan types, read our guide on jumbo loans and USDA loans.

Cost and fees

Home.com does not disclose its lender fees for mortgage loan originations. Most lenders charge a flat fee of 0.5% to 1% of the loan amount in origination fees (which includes the processing and underwriting of your application).

The origination fee is just part of the overall closing costs you’ll pay to purchase your home. Closing costs can include appraisal fees, attorney fees, credit reporting fees, discount points, escrow funds, mortgage insurance, homeowners insurance, title insurance, prepaid interest, title fees and recording fees. Altogether, this can add up to 2% to 5% of the loan amount.

To help you plan for your closing, lenders will provide you with a Loan Estimate within three business days of your application. Keep in mind that this is just an estimate. You’ll receive a more accurate Closing Disclosure form at least three days before your scheduled closing, which will state all the costs and fees associated with the loan.

FAQ

What is Home.com by Homefinity?

Home.com powered by Homefinity is an online, direct mortgage lender that offers home purchase loans and refinance loans across the U.S. It is part of Fairway Independent Mortgage Corp., which is a large mortgage company with more than 10,000 employees and 750 branch and satellite locations.

Is Home.com by Homefinity legit?

Home.com is a legitimate option for online mortgage lending. It is part of Fairway Independent Mortgage Corp., which has been in business since 1996. In 2021, Fairway originated nearly 236,000 home loans throughout the U.S.

Where is Home.com by Homefinity available?

Home.com’s mortgage products are available in 46 states and Washington, D.C.

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home.com by Homefinity?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home.com?

Original review: June 26, 2022

The mortgage lender I was with didn't seem like they wanted to negotiate the best deal. They were just trying to make as much money off of me as possible and the interest rates started climbing. I could have gotten a much lower interest rate if I had gone through Homefinity at first. I did their program for refinancing. The application process was a pain as I had to upload this and that and prove this and that. Sometimes, I had to re-upload documents. Some of the documents I had to sign made me concerned. Some of the questions they asked were strange and made me feel they didn't trust me. They leave a lot of things hanging open and you don't know what you're signing unless you're a lawyer. Even when you close, you don’t really have time to go through every document. It would take hours.

There were a couple of open-ended documents that were really long form documents. The closer said, “Sign here.” They explained quickly what it was about but you don't really have a chance to read anything about what you're signing. I was joking with the closer, saying, “You’re gonna fill this in and put anything you want in there.” I just laughed but I was serious. I’ve been through this process before when I bought my first home and some of the forms have changed because that was 20 years ago.

I'm not blaming the company. I’m blaming the mortgage process. All these companies have to do that because it’s part of the government's requirement. I just don’t like the invasiveness and the open-ended questions. You got to sign this, sign that, and you don’t really understand everything about it. They then say, “If you violate any of this information, if it’s not true, we can come back on you.”

Also, a lot of different people were involved during the process. A new person kept popping up. That was awkward and strange because I thought I sent everything to the loan officer. That aside, my loan officer was a nice young guy named Greg. He was smiling. He helped me switch over from the other mortgage lender. The rates I got from Momefinity were fair because Greg tried to work with me. He was explaining how all mortgage loan officers manipulate numbers. They work their numbers so that they can make sure they get their profit. It depends on how greedy they get or how much profit the company they work for requires. The first mortgage company was very inflexible. Greg explained what was going on there. He said, “We have to make a certain amount of money too. But we're not gonna rip you off. We're kind of upfront.”

I like that about him and that was why I stuck with him because he tried to help me negotiate a fair deal for both of us so that we both could be happy with it. I really appreciated that. That’s what really impressed me about him. I could usually call anytime too. Some of the other people I dealt with at Homefinity were very nice as well.

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 24, 2022

I signed up with my bank here locally. But on one Sunday evening, I was just online searching and looking at rates. I went into Bankrate.com and they gave me the top 3, 4, 5 lenders. The next thing I hear is from Steve and within a couple of talks, he made me buy into Homefinity. I had to have a learning curve a little bit as to who they are. But after that, it was prompt and excellent communication. It was quick and professional. Those things turned me off from the bank and came with Homefinity. The process was perfect.

I'm coming for the mortgage loan. The appraisal and underwriting process was new to me. I thought that Homefinity is a lender. But Homefinity is only an agent and Fairway Independent Mortgage Corporation is the lender. I paid the fee to the appraiser. Immediately, it was returned back to me. At 15 years and 30 years rate, I had to rethink myself. There was in consultation with my agent. I went from 15 to 30. Again, back from 30 to 15. I paid the 20% down payment. I was ready to go with the 30, with all the terms and conditions. But then the little changes happened. If I was informed ahead of time of all aspects, I would have clearly chosen one and not flipped back and forth. I had to redo all the process again. That aside, I will definitely recommend Homefinity.

Home.com by Homefinity response

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to work with you!

Original review: March 30, 2022

I really enjoyed working with Homefinity. All kinds of things happened during the experience, but we've resulted in closing well before I thought we'd ever close. My mortgage broker got sick, and he had somebody important in his chain just leave, virtually without any notice. It went pretty swimmingly all the way through. The rep, Bill, did an absolutely terrific job of communicating where we were in every step. We didn't feel lost or this thing was gonna get hugely delayed. He did a great job of keeping it all together, and we closed on time. The explanation of why certain things were needed, why things would make, from their experience, the process easier, was invaluable.

I remarked to my wife, “This is about the time as you get older.” You have a lot of mortgage companies. I thought this was the smoothest close that we've ever had in our lifetime. Homefinity did a perfect job. I feel good about the process online. I don't have the best equipment at home. There were some ways that if I had better equipment and in better working order, I would have done a lot better, but once we got our groove of uploading the documents into the system and realizing which set of documents were signed and rescanned, we caught on and it was not a big deal. Personally, whatever we can do online to make the process happen, it should go that direction.

I had a little depressing time frame though. I would have been happy if we closed within three months, given a low interest rate and extreme demand. I trade stocks for a living, and I also used to be in the credit collection business most of my life, so I realized sometimes how difficult it is for these alternative jobs and entrepreneurs to capture their information and to make sound credit decisions. Sometimes, it's not easy, so I thought that was handled extremely well, and not everybody handles that well. I have some friends that are moving out to Oklahoma City, and I said, “Hey, if you want a really great mortgage broker, Homefinity is your way to go.” If you trust it with your friends and family, it's a good thing.

Home.com by Homefinity response

Thank you for the review! There are always a million moving parts during any loan process, but we strive to keep everything seamless and on track!

Original review: March 24, 2022

I liked the ease of the online process with Homefinity as well as the availability of understanding the rates and costs upfront without having to go through a whole bunch of pre-application stuff where you're basically applying before knowing the rates. I did a refinance and they had a straightforward application process. Between the conversation and what we did online, there were a minimal amount of steps and there was a fairly self-explanatory website to use. The online process was painless. The information that was being asked for made sense. The information was quick and the communication was swift.

I worked with Mario and Tiffany and they were both very good. There was also another guy and I liked the fact that he was very available and so was Tiffany. They were easy to get onto the phone if I needed to. They were quick to respond on email when I was traveling. It was an easy and comfortable process. It was just an efficient process. These days, dealing with any company always seems to take twice as long as it should. No one seems to have the phones well-staffed, or email is just generic. But the Homefinity, I was dealing with people who knew what was going on and gave me quick answers.

There was a little communication issue with the title company. Once I raised the issue with Homefinity, the title company was quick to respond and have people reach out to me and clarify why things were done the way they were done. It was just a little confusing. The money took a little while to come to me. But that was just an understanding of closing out a HELOC process that the title company could have been better at. Other than that, it was all good.

Home.com by Homefinity response

Thanks for your review, and glad everything was smooth! We'll definitely use the feedback to help the title company improve as well!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2022

Dan from Homefinity was so helpful. He gave me a lot of feedback on our very first call. As we progressed, he even helped me on a Sunday to submit stuff because I work Monday through Friday. He walked me through the application process and things that I needed to submit. I had a refinance and the process was simple. You just need to be computer-savvy to be able to do it. Dan walked me through a couple of things because I don't have a home computer, I have a tablet. So, uploading and saving to put on a secure portal was logistically hard for me. I had to go out and buy an ethernet cable and dust off a computer I haven't used in three years to make all that happen. That was a challenge.

But as far as anytime something would show up, I got an email, I went out to the portal, it said, "This is what you need," I got it submitted. Everything I was told along the way was true. It was never a "Gotcha" moment. There was also an interest in helping me. It was also so much cheaper for us to borrow the money from Homefinity than it was to take it from our own bank accounts or 401ks. They put us in a whole new tax bracket to do that and there were penalties with early withdrawals from your 401ks.

Home.com by Homefinity response

Thank you for your business and review!

Original review: July 26, 2022

Homefinity's rep was really easy to work with and the process was fairly quick. We had a couple of hoops to jump through because I own my business, but it went through as smoothly as it could. So, I'm happy.

Home.com by Homefinity response

Thank you for taking some time to provide feedback! We appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

Original review: July 7, 2022

I used Homefinity for a refi years ago and I've just kept using them. I really liked JP. He has always been amazing. So, major kudos to him.

Home.com by Homefinity response

Great to hear! Thank you so much for your repeat business!!

Original review: June 25, 2022

Homefinity was very upfront with everything. With the dollars, the charges, and the fees, they were able to put it in writing. I developed trust with them because they stuck to their word. They were an honest company. Communication was clear and customer service was very responsive and timely. They were amazing. The process was very easy and I did everything online. The initial broker, John, that I spoke with was very easy to speak with. He answered all my questions in a language that I understood and not in their company jargon.

It was really a great experience. I've closed on homes before in Florida and it has not been so easy. My rate was great. I was totally satisfied with everything. I told one of the brokers that I was a little nervous because I was going through a lot. She said, “If I could, I would send you a hug through the phone.” That was just so comforting. That's what I like to deal with. They exceeded my expectations.

Home.com by Homefinity response

This is an awesome review, we really appreciate you taking the time to provide this. Thanks so much!

Original review: June 23, 2022

I liked the rates that Homefinity had. They did excellently and they took care of everything. I was able to upload all my stuff on their portal. They were very responsive and I would work with them again if I had the need. The loan officer, his assistants and even the guy that looked over all the loan docs were very accommodating and nice. They had their stuff together and answered questions. They all did a great job.

Home.com by Homefinity response

Thank you for your business! We hope to work with you again, too!

Original review: June 22, 2022

The whole process went well. The whole team was great. We worked with Angela. The application was smooth, the portal was easy to use and Homefinity was very clear about the lock period and how much it would cost for different lengths of time, and if it somehow overshot the lock period, what the fees would be. So, they gave us a good picture of what we might deal with. Most of the stuff, they were able to do in the background. And they kept us up to date. They had everything squared away before we even got the close date. They were, “Well, we're just waiting on the builder to tell us when we can send the inspector, and then we'll be all set to go.”

Home.com by Homefinity response

This is great to hear! We're glad this was a smooth process for you!

ConsumerAffairs writers primarily rely on government data, industry experts and original research from other reputable publications to inform their work. To learn more about the content on our site, visit our FAQ page.
    1. Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council, “HMDA Data Publication.” Accessed Sept 13, 2022.

Home.com by Homefinity Company Information