Zillow Home Loans, LLC
2.23/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Zillow Home Loans, LLC

Formerly known as Mortgage Lenders of America, L.L.C.

Looking for a mortgage lender?

15 Zillow Home Loans, LLC Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 19, 2019

Mr. Steven ** is the ABSOLUTE BEST Loan Officer EVER!!! He is a true angel on earth with all the knowledge, guidance and comfort any borrower would desire when buying a home. He made our process: easy, even in the most difficult phases; fast, when others tried slowing us down, smooth, whenever a speed bump appeared; comforting, reassuring us every step of the way to keep our faith. Most importantly of all, he saved us from buying a lemon. Every buyer's biggest fear.

Mr. Steven ** went way above his call of duty as a loan officer. He was our realtor, calling everyone involved in the transaction to keep the ball rolling; our coach, letting us know what to expect with all the uncertainties; our defender, making sure we got the house we wanted for the right price and best of all, a true friend. He always made us laugh and smile when we wanted to scream and cry. He always maintained constant and clear communication, even just to check in on us. It was very helpful that we spoke via text, email and phone calls.

He showed us completed respect as a same sex married couple, which we found almost non existent in the real estate world. Knowing we had Mr. ** on our side was all the confidence we needed to make our dream home come true. I would tell anyone that buying a home is the most complicated, stressful process one can endure, yet with Mr. Steven ** on your side, it is the most Beautiful experience anyone could have. We are so blessed and thankful for all his hard work. We highly recommend him to everyone and anyone looking to buy a home!

Original review: April 26, 2019

My husband and I are first time homebuyers and it was our very first experience working with this loan company and it will be our last. We were searching online and they reached out to us. Pre-approval process was very easy... So easy that they even pre-approve my husband for a greater amount than what he was stating with just 3 pay stubs and nothing else. I thought it was a miracle that they would still let us go all the way through to very end even when the numbers didn’t add up in the beginning.. Making 3x the amount (which my husband was 30k behind the amount), good credit, etc... We went along with it, because we were hopeful, new inexperienced homebuyers, and believed they were trying to help us. Everything was going good until the very end...

Four days before our closing date, our loan agent, April, called my husband and stated that the closing date would be pushed back because they were still waiting for his W2 (which we signed a W2 waiver release form A MONTH ago). What were they doing for a whole month and waiting until the very last days of closing to get the W2 will always be a mystery to my husband and I. Before all of this, she told my husband that his debt to income ratio was slightly high and need to clear his credit cards and get gift money for the down payment to be within the qualification limit. Since we were so far into the process and we truly believe we were going to get it once we settle what she said, we went ahead and paid off his 3k credit card and wired the gift money right away...

One week later and our closing date pushed back, we were told they were still waiting for his W2 because my husband’s pay stubs did not match what he stated to them... Basically he is not making enough money to qualify for the house. We were confused as to why they pre-approved him in the first place. We weren’t angry because we did not qualify for the loan... We were frustrated because we were led all the way to the very end (using our money and time, giving them whatever documents they needed, paying his debt off, etc.) and suddenly was told that he did not qualify for the house because of his income or find another house within his range...in which they saw these numbers IN THE VERY BEGINNING ALREADY! For new homebuyers out there, please do your research and do not let this company fool you and give you false hope. Stay away from them and find other opportunities. If it sounds too good to be true, it is.

Zillow Home Loans, LLC response

Thank you MaiZon for your review. We apologize that yours and your husband's experience was not exceptional. We'd like to help get this feedback addressed for you but based on just your username, I am unable to find your record. We have reached out to you via the Consumer Affairs portal but have not heard back. You can also reach us with your name and email address

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 24, 2019

If there was an option for ‘0’ stars, I would select that option. This is the most unprofessional company that I’ve ever dealt with in my entirety. I was approved for a loan and sent an approval letter for one amount, then received another for another amount (higher than the first), then upon making an offer 2 weeks later, was told that a loan could not be provided without a reason. My credit took a hard inquiry/hit from this what I believe to be an illegitimate company. Red flags were constantly presenting themselves throughout this entire process. Advice from my realtor is to file a complaint with the BBB as well as the proper authoritative figure for the company, which is what I am in the process of doing. I would NEVER recommend this company to my worst enemy if I had one; let alone the employee, Landon **.

Zillow Home Loans, LLC response

Dear Ms. Keith: It is always our intention to provide exceptional customer service to our clients, so we are very sorry you had a poor experience with our company. Thank you for providing valuable additional information in response to our emails to you, as they will be instrumental in determining what we could have done better, both in our interactions with you and with other customers. To that end, we are in the process of conducting an internal investigation and will follow up with you soon.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Started the process in Sept 2018. Was preapproved. I found a house in Oct 2018. We were set to close at the end of Nov 2018. I am currently enrolled in grad school and my loans are in deferment. I kept asking my lender if everything was ok, did they need more documentation, etc. Ricky continually told me everything was great and he promised me the loan would go thru. We didn't close in Nov because suddenly they needed more information. Then my student loans weren't allowed to be in deferment. I kept being told maybe tomorrow for approval, maybe tomorrow.

My lender never worked with my realtor. She had to constantly search him out. We contacted his supervisor and she did nothing. I finally went up the food chain and after 3 weeks of "maybe tomorrow" I was finally told the loan was not going to get approved. In the meantime I spent $1000 on inspections that I never would have done if I knew my student loans were going to be an issue from the start. I spoke with another lender and they said absolutely no way could I have been approved. Mortgage Lenders of America failed to do their due diligence and it ended up being a very costly mistake for me. I am out $1000 and no home. My repeated attempts to contact them after being denied the loan have been met with silence. I would not recommend this lender to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

For a first time home buyer I had no clue what to expect. Or even how to navigate the process. Sarah ** was amazing to work with. She walked me through step by step with absolutely no pressure at any time. Her patience and diligence to get me exactly what I needed and process my many requested changes was nothing short of saintly in my opinion. She was able to explain things to me in ways I could understand and make the best choices and I couldn't be happier. She was always easy to contact and her follow up was always timely and so very cordial. She was always quick to ask about my children and how my travel with my job was going. She made it a very personal experience which for me was super important to feel like more than a number. Overall a 5 star experience and if I could give more stars I would.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zillow Home Loans, LLC fka Mortgage Lenders of America, L.L.C.?

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Despite being provided everything they asked for weeks before the projected closing date they suddenly had a mountain of obscure additional information they needed ON THE DATE OF CLOSING! I must have asked my lender half a dozen times if they would need specific things that I knew would be challenging to obtain and lo and behold even after being told they wouldn’t, they did. It now appears we will have to close a full week late and they are absolutely not apologetic. It is my belief that their “senior” loan people are in fact very inexperienced. Horrendous. Look elsewhere.

Original review: May 30, 2018

We sold our home and were moving. Our buyer used Mortgage Lenders of America which ended up being a huge disaster. They had a month and a half to get his loan ready for the closing. We had a closing date set for a Monday. We were informed at 4:45 pm on the Friday before the closing that we would not be closing on Monday but maybe on Tuesday. We ended up closing a week later on the next Friday but it was too late to close on my new home. It delayed our closing on our new home until the following Tuesday because of the holiday. My lender got my buyer's file and reviewed it during this delay process and said that there was no reason why they missed the close date with the amount of time they had. My lender was ready to take over if he had not closed when they did. My buyer was really mad also.

Their incompetence cost me over $1000 of addition expenses that I will never see again!! I had already rented a moving truck and had people scheduled to help me load on the weekend. I had to pay for eight days truck rental. If I had hired a moving company I would have been out of at least $3000 plus. I have the incompetent loan officer's name but I am not going to post it. I guarantee you that if it had been his money that he would have got it done in a timely manner. Use a local company with a local office!!!

Original review: March 26, 2018

My agent seemed to be less sure of the entire process than I was, and it was my first time attempting to buy a home. My questions were blown off, or just not answered, and it seemed like every couple of days there was a list of new hoops to jump through, but jump I did. Two months into the process, the afternoon before I was supposed to close, I get notified that the underwriters had changed their minds on their decision to approve me, based on information that I had given them on day one. This was after they had reviewed everything multiple times and given me my approval. This forced me to miss my closing, and forced the sellers to miss the closing on their next house. I can't recommend avoiding this company enough, their service is garbage and their staff is untrained. I ended up going with another company that managed to pull off everything in half the time MLA did, and they actually saw things through to the end.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I also was a victim of this company. I was online house searching and a man by the name of Jeff ** contacted me on my phone telling me he could check to see if I was prequalified for a home so I gave him my information and he told me I was prequalified so the next day I found an realtor agent and started my house search. This was early November of 2017. I found the house of my dreams and I contacted and gave him all the information he needed on the house and he said he would get started on my contract so I paid my $1000 dollar Earnest money. I paid my $525 appraisal and my $267 for inspection. So as a first time home buyer I was excited. I was given a closing date of December 30th 2017.

Well December 30th my realtor agent called me and told me that Jeff had been Fired. My first question was what do we do now and he said we will be working with Jeff ** Mark ** so I said ok as a sign of relief and so we rescheduled my closing date to January 7th 2018. Well 4 days into closing Mark sends me a email saying he couldn't close the loan because Jeff had falsified my documents saying I had 10'000 dollars in reserves. Well I never told Jeff that. We never discussed my assets so or what I had in reserves. So I called my agent in tears cause I was lost, scared and confused.

At that point I felt like I had been a victim of fraud so my agent called Mark and he got NO answer. I called and emailed for 3 days. NO answer. Now me and my kids are now sleeping on a floor at my sisters house. My daughter crying because she promised her friends they could have a sleepover when we move in our new home. So now they're laughing at her at school because we didn't get the house. We moved out our home to my sister house to a floor.

I cant tell you how much that hurt to open my eyes every morning and see my two beautiful kids on the floor beside me sleep. This company has shattered me and my kids dreams. At the time my fico score was 687, my Experian score was 664, my Transunion score was 642 for a FHA loan. The required credit score starts at 580. My income met the requirements so I don't why this happened to me. And others please future home searchers find your own mortgage lender. Don't deal with this company because like the other reviews I have read that's in the same situation I'm in you just might be next.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

I am a realtor in PA and have had one of the best experiences with Erik ** Mtg. Originator of Mortgage Lenders of America and the transaction he made come true. Erik is professional and experienced in the mortgage business. He had the understanding of my buyer's needs. This was my buyer's first home purchase. Erik took the time to explain the process and worked with the buyer step by step to get us to closing. He took challenging buyers and made them home owners, meeting deadlines and state regulations. Without his help this deal would never have happened. When referring lenders I do not hesitate giving Erik's name to my clients.

Original review: May 17, 2017

This company search me out after I went house shopping online. Greg ** contacting me, offering to get preapprove. I did so. 2 months later, after going into a contract on a home Greg told me I didn't qualify for the loan. His call came 2 hours after I mailed the diligence and Earnest money. He had looked at a VA loan when my wife and I did not have military experience. He then looked at another loan and said it looked better and it should work. A long story short, after signing disclosure and sending all the documents the underwriter ask for, he told us we did not meet the qualifications. We are out of the $500 diligence money, and now Greg won't answer the phone. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!! THE ENTIRE EXPERIENCE WAS MISERABLE!!!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2016

Speaking from the seller's point of view, MLOA has dragged out this loan process way too long for the couple I am selling my house to. It has been almost 4 months they have been strung along and still no closing date. I do not know if the loan officer is too inexperienced or she takes too much time off from work but this loan is obviously not a priority for her or this company.

Original review: May 11, 2015

My loan officer, **, was on top of everything from the beginning. Easiest transaction I've ever had. Closed in three weeks, and I even got most of my money back from the escrow deposit (1st time my realtor had seen that). ** answered all questions and addressed things I hadn't thought of... Very professional, personable, and all around easy to work with. Highly recommend these folks!

Original review: April 28, 2010

I submitted a full contract with them on March 4th, 2010 and everything was good. Then two days before closing, they sandbagged me with a last minute change which forced me to lose a $8,000 homeowner tax credit last minute. They said my financier can no longer be on the settlement statement. She was the only one who qualified for the tax credit.

They were aware of this and didn't inform me intentionally until the last minute in order to endure I wouldn’t leave. If I did, I wouldn't have enough time to close with another lender in order to meet the Tax Credit deadline. They performed very poorly and I suggest going to the other 9 million lenders out there than gamble on this one. Bad faith and very poor business ethics, do not do business here. I had $8,000 tax credit lost, thanks to Mortgage Lenders of America.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2009

These lenders never looked at the file and had the file for over a month,

My sellers are elderly and have been waiting to close, the lenders would not return our calls or give us a reason the file was not looked at or even gone through, I had called about 20 times as well as the title company calling,

Zillow Home Loans, LLC Company Information

Zillow Home Loans, LLC fka Mortgage Lenders of America, L.L.C.
      Public
      Formerly Named:
      Mortgage Lenders of America, L.L.C.
      10975 El Monte St.