Zillow Home Loans, LLC
2.00/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Zillow Home Loans, LLC

Formerly known as Mortgage Lenders of America, L.L.C.

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Zillow Home Loans, LLC Reviews

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

Very bad at handling mortgage applications and mortgage servicing. Worst company in the USA. They do not respond to realtor, they do not process credit check, bank transaction check, loan check in timely manner. They take 1.5 months to process. When they transfer loan to other servicers, they keep asking for double payment to them for months.

Zillow Home Loans, LLC response

We would love to look into your file to dig a little deeper into what occurred. Would you please email and identify yourself to our customer support team at consumeraffairsreviews@zillowhomeloans.com?

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

Credit ok, not bad but not good. Called Zillow and was prequalified. Found a house, put in an offer and submitted ALL paperwork to Zillow in a day. A week later, heard nothing. I called our point of contact and was told all ok. A week later, nothing. I called again and again was told all ok. Closing date set, real estate agent also in touch with Zillow contact and was told all ok. 4 days before our close after trying to contact our Zillow contact 3 times, she emails that we are denied because of a late pay. FHA allows 1 late pay and that was disclosed ahead of time before the prequalification. Zillow contact would never return call after that.

Fast Forward to a different mortgage company and we are ready to close and Zillow will not release the appraisal that we paid for. The new mortgage company has tried for over a week to get Zillow to release it and they are dragging their feet. Come to find out, Zillow lied about why we were turned down, numbers on the disclosure compared to the turn down letter were different and changed from the original disclosure statement and no one at Zillow will release the appraisal I paid for. DO NOT USE ZILLOW MORTGAGE.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

During the pre-qualifying process the experience was fine. There were a few hiccups with repeated faxes that were either misplaced or electronic issues or simply needed clarification. We were assured a 30 day close would occur because of my prompt response and provision of each piece of information requested and of course I'm prequalified right?!

30 days came and went and so has the first extension. Following the first extension We were once again assured we were set with a closing date that was 1 week after the initially scheduled closing.... then all the sudden "an eagle eyed underwriter" found/needed additional information that has been provided at least 3 times and already approved. Of course it wasn't the loan officer's fault. After approximately a week of we need this/I have everything/wait we need this, there was supposedly a request by the loan officer to escalate in attempt to find resolution to the underwriter's continued requests for the same information to help get the closing completed by the end of the week of the extension. I'm already packed and have the mover scheduled based on the prior "ok" the seller has made all requested repairs and extensions and here we go AGAIN!

All of these extensions are completed with less and less communication from the loan officer. Neither the loan officer or supervisor that allegedly assists with this craziness responded to the realtor's calls, texts or emails asking if we close or if we need to extend AGAIN until 15 minutes before the scheduled closing. Please keep in mind all conditions were supposedly already met and we were initially set to close twice! I had to provide several pieces of documentation multiple times and was still requested.

We just completed the second extension after Zillow had yet another condition at 2:45 PM on a Friday afternoon- have your bank wire money for the down payment to the title company. Of course there is no information as to where to wire this money which doesn't matter because it is Impossible to wire money this late on a Friday. Now, we wait until Monday and HOPE the sellers agree to extend AGAIN!

The Zillow staff that allegedly received the escalated case to blames the loan officer, the loan officer blames the underwriters and NO ONE is accountable or provides the same information. One says, "yes we can close Monday afternoon." One says. "we are targeting early/mid next week." WTH?! The frustrating part is after being pre-qualified, going thru every single hoop required I am about to lose my house that I loved. All the money/time spent for appraisals, abstract, inspections etc will be out the door because not every company will recognize the same providers. It's extremely disappointing to have a super exciting adventure of buying the home you love be destroyed and potentially lost by the lending company's errors. Moral of the story- if you choose Zillow, pre-qualify and add at least a month to their closing dates. Better yet, shop around and save yourself a lot of headaches.

Zillow Home Loans, LLC response

We appreciate you taking the time to leave feedback for us. We are sorry to hear you had a poor experience with our company. Can you email us with your name, phone number and email address so we can look into this matter further?

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

I was in contact with Ryan ** Mortgage Loan Officer (NMLS ID #**). I have not heard back from Ryan in over two weeks. I sent all of my documents and information in, in a timely manner. When sending in my paystubs, it took Ryan a week for him to contact me and only because I contacted him first. When I did so he apologized and stated that he "got delete happy" and deleted the documents that were submitted.

Hi Melanie,

We’re sorry to hear that you had this experience and will be sure to share this with our team. If you’ll send your full name and phone number to ZHLCustomerSupport@zillowhomeloans.com, we’d like the opportunity to discuss this further and learn more.

Original review: May 19, 2019

Mr. Steven ** is the ABSOLUTE BEST Loan Officer EVER!!! He is a true angel on earth with all the knowledge, guidance and comfort any borrower would desire when buying a home. He made our process: easy, even in the most difficult phases; fast, when others tried slowing us down, smooth, whenever a speed bump appeared; comforting, reassuring us every step of the way to keep our faith. Most importantly of all, he saved us from buying a lemon. Every buyer's biggest fear.

Mr. Steven ** went way above his call of duty as a loan officer. He was our realtor, calling everyone involved in the transaction to keep the ball rolling; our coach, letting us know what to expect with all the uncertainties; our defender, making sure we got the house we wanted for the right price and best of all, a true friend. He always made us laugh and smile when we wanted to scream and cry. He always maintained constant and clear communication, even just to check in on us. It was very helpful that we spoke via text, email and phone calls.

He showed us completed respect as a same sex married couple, which we found almost non existent in the real estate world. Knowing we had Mr. ** on our side was all the confidence we needed to make our dream home come true. I would tell anyone that buying a home is the most complicated, stressful process one can endure, yet with Mr. Steven ** on your side, it is the most Beautiful experience anyone could have. We are so blessed and thankful for all his hard work. We highly recommend him to everyone and anyone looking to buy a home!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zillow Home Loans, LLC fka Mortgage Lenders of America, L.L.C.?

Original review: April 26, 2019

My husband and I are first time homebuyers and it was our very first experience working with this loan company and it will be our last. We were searching online and they reached out to us. Pre-approval process was very easy... So easy that they even pre-approve my husband for a greater amount than what he was stating with just 3 pay stubs and nothing else. I thought it was a miracle that they would still let us go all the way through to very end even when the numbers didn’t add up in the beginning.. Making 3x the amount (which my husband was 30k behind the amount), good credit, etc... We went along with it, because we were hopeful, new inexperienced homebuyers, and believed they were trying to help us. Everything was going good until the very end...

Four days before our closing date, our loan agent, April, called my husband and stated that the closing date would be pushed back because they were still waiting for his W2 (which we signed a W2 waiver release form A MONTH ago). What were they doing for a whole month and waiting until the very last days of closing to get the W2 will always be a mystery to my husband and I. Before all of this, she told my husband that his debt to income ratio was slightly high and need to clear his credit cards and get gift money for the down payment to be within the qualification limit. Since we were so far into the process and we truly believe we were going to get it once we settle what she said, we went ahead and paid off his 3k credit card and wired the gift money right away...

One week later and our closing date pushed back, we were told they were still waiting for his W2 because my husband’s pay stubs did not match what he stated to them... Basically he is not making enough money to qualify for the house. We were confused as to why they pre-approved him in the first place. We weren’t angry because we did not qualify for the loan... We were frustrated because we were led all the way to the very end (using our money and time, giving them whatever documents they needed, paying his debt off, etc.) and suddenly was told that he did not qualify for the house because of his income or find another house within his range...in which they saw these numbers IN THE VERY BEGINNING ALREADY! For new homebuyers out there, please do your research and do not let this company fool you and give you false hope. Stay away from them and find other opportunities. If it sounds too good to be true, it is.

Zillow Home Loans, LLC response

Thank you MaiZon for your review. We apologize that yours and your husband's experience was not exceptional. We'd like to help get this feedback addressed for you but based on just your username, I am unable to find your record. We have reached out to you via the Consumer Affairs portal but have not heard back. You can also reach us with your name and email address

Original review: March 24, 2019

If there was an option for ‘0’ stars, I would select that option. This is the most unprofessional company that I’ve ever dealt with in my entirety. I was approved for a loan and sent an approval letter for one amount, then received another for another amount (higher than the first), then upon making an offer 2 weeks later, was told that a loan could not be provided without a reason. My credit took a hard inquiry/hit from this what I believe to be an illegitimate company. Red flags were constantly presenting themselves throughout this entire process. Advice from my realtor is to file a complaint with the BBB as well as the proper authoritative figure for the company, which is what I am in the process of doing. I would NEVER recommend this company to my worst enemy if I had one; let alone the employee, Landon **.

Zillow Home Loans, LLC response

Dear Ms. Keith: It is always our intention to provide exceptional customer service to our clients, so we are very sorry you had a poor experience with our company. Thank you for providing valuable additional information in response to our emails to you, as they will be instrumental in determining what we could have done better, both in our interactions with you and with other customers. To that end, we are in the process of conducting an internal investigation and will follow up with you soon.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Started the process in Sept 2018. Was preapproved. I found a house in Oct 2018. We were set to close at the end of Nov 2018. I am currently enrolled in grad school and my loans are in deferment. I kept asking my lender if everything was ok, did they need more documentation, etc. Ricky continually told me everything was great and he promised me the loan would go thru. We didn't close in Nov because suddenly they needed more information. Then my student loans weren't allowed to be in deferment. I kept being told maybe tomorrow for approval, maybe tomorrow.

My lender never worked with my realtor. She had to constantly search him out. We contacted his supervisor and she did nothing. I finally went up the food chain and after 3 weeks of "maybe tomorrow" I was finally told the loan was not going to get approved. In the meantime I spent $1000 on inspections that I never would have done if I knew my student loans were going to be an issue from the start. I spoke with another lender and they said absolutely no way could I have been approved. Mortgage Lenders of America failed to do their due diligence and it ended up being a very costly mistake for me. I am out $1000 and no home. My repeated attempts to contact them after being denied the loan have been met with silence. I would not recommend this lender to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

For a first time home buyer I had no clue what to expect. Or even how to navigate the process. Sarah ** was amazing to work with. She walked me through step by step with absolutely no pressure at any time. Her patience and diligence to get me exactly what I needed and process my many requested changes was nothing short of saintly in my opinion. She was able to explain things to me in ways I could understand and make the best choices and I couldn't be happier. She was always easy to contact and her follow up was always timely and so very cordial. She was always quick to ask about my children and how my travel with my job was going. She made it a very personal experience which for me was super important to feel like more than a number. Overall a 5 star experience and if I could give more stars I would.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Despite being provided everything they asked for weeks before the projected closing date they suddenly had a mountain of obscure additional information they needed ON THE DATE OF CLOSING! I must have asked my lender half a dozen times if they would need specific things that I knew would be challenging to obtain and lo and behold even after being told they wouldn’t, they did. It now appears we will have to close a full week late and they are absolutely not apologetic. It is my belief that their “senior” loan people are in fact very inexperienced. Horrendous. Look elsewhere.

Zillow Home Loans, LLC Company Information

Zillow Home Loans, LLC fka Mortgage Lenders of America, L.L.C.
      Public
      Formerly Named:
      Mortgage Lenders of America, L.L.C.
      10975 El Monte St.