3.9/5 (614 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Jennifer Schurman
Edited by Sally Jones

About Zillow Home Loans, LLC

Zillow Home Loans (NMLS #10287) is a lender affiliated with Zillow, the highly popular real estate website. It offers purchase and refinance loans in all states except New Jersey, New York and West Virginia. You can answer a series of questions on the company’s website to learn more about your loan options. Zillow Home Loans is based in Irvine, California.

Zillow Home Loans, LLC’s NMLS ID #10287

Pros

• Available in most states
  • Conventional and government-backed loans
  • Affiliated with Zillow

Cons

• May not offer down payment assistance programs
  • No USDA loans

Bottom Line

Zillow Home Loans offers conventional and government-backed loans in all states except New Jersey, New York and West Virginia. Both first-time homebuyers and experienced borrowers may find its services helpful. You can fill out a form online or call a loan officer for more information.

Top Zillow Home Loans, LLC Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I really can't put into words what an absolute pleasure it was working with Alessandra. We were a little reluctant to refinance online but she allayed all our fears and walked us ...

Verified

Cristina made our first homebuying experience amazing! She clearly walked us through all of the steps (repeatedly, when we’d forget, and was happy to do so) and made sure we knew ...

Rates

Zillow Home Loans does not publish rates on its website. To get an idea of what rates you qualify for, you need to answer a handful of questions on the Zillow Home Loans website. Alternatively, you can call to speak with a loan officer. Zillow Home Loans lists credit score and down payment amount as two factors that influence your interest rate.

Even though Zillow Home Loans doesn’t post current rates, we know from Home Mortgage Disclosure Act (HMDA) data that its average home purchase loan rate from 2019 to 2021 was around the national average. In 2021, it was 0.04% lower; in 2019 and 2020, it was slightly above.

Zillow Home Loans average home purchase rate vs. national average

YearDifference from national average
2021-0.04%
2020+0.10%
2019+0.11%
Information pulled from public Home Mortgage Disclosure Act data. Rates reflect noncommercial home purchase loans only.

Application process

You can start the application process by answering questions on the Zillow Home Loans website.

First, you indicate whether you are purchasing a home or refinancing your mortgage. Then, answer a few questions and enter your contact information. If you’re buying, you’ll be asked about your timeline, where you’re planning to live, the kind of property, the property price and your down payment amount. If you’re refinancing, you should know your approximate property value and your remaining mortgage balance.

After you complete the questionnaire, you’ll be connected to a Zillow Home Loans loan officer to continue the process.

Ericka, a ConsumerAffairs reviewer from Georgia, said about refinancing with Zillow Home Loans: “I had no idea Zillow offered home loans but I'm sure glad I found out! This was my first experience refinancing my home loan and Zillow's staff was outstanding! At each and every step in the process I was impressed: from the initial call … to the knowledgeable, friendly and non-pressure approach. … Every question was answered by the incredible staff. The whole process from first call to completion took 21 days!”

Zillow Home Loans application features

FeaturesAvailability
Online application
Mobile document upload
Physical branchesX
Publishes minimum rate on websiteX
Rate lockContact for more info
Pre-qualification (no hard credit pull)
Certified approval letter

Loan types

Zillow Home Loans lists conventional loans, FHA loans and VA loans as its main options for borrowers. Its conventional loans have 15-, 20- or 30-year terms. VA loans and FHA loans have 15- or 30-year terms.

In 2021, Zillow Home Loans received 4,955 home purchase loan applications. According to HMDA data, 3,359 turned into closed loans; the lender denied 131 (2.6%) applications.

Loan applications for home purchases only by year

202120202019
Home purchase applications4,9553,6274,362
Home purchase loans closed3,3592,1602,491
Home purchase applications denied131563637
Home purchase preapprovals denied000
Information pulled from public Home Mortgage Disclosure Act data. Includes conventional, USDA, VA and FHA mortgages.

Refinancing

Zillow Home Loans provides refinance loans that help borrowers get a better rate, change their loan term or get cash out of their home equity.

In 2020 and 2021, like many lenders, Zillow Home Loans experienced a surge in demand for refinancing; the percentage of loans for refinancing increased from 13% in 2019 to 65% in 2020 to 74% in 2021. This trend occurred as mortgage rates declined to record lows. According to Freddie Mac, the average rate on a 30-year fixed-rate mortgage fell below 3% starting in August 2020 and stayed at or below 3.1% all the way through the end of 2021.

That trend is not likely to continue. In 2022, the average rate on 30-year fixed-rate mortgages has risen above 5% for the first time since 2010, so fewer homeowners are expected to seek refinancing.

Home purchase vs. refinance loans by year

202120202019
Home purchase loans26.05%35.28%86.92%
Refinance loans41.81%51.98%9.00%
Cash-out refinance32.14%12.74%4.08%
Information pulled from public Home Mortgage Disclosure Act Data. Includes conventional, USDA, VA and FHA mortgages.

Requirements

Zillow Home Loans does not disclose specific borrower requirements for its loans. To learn which loans you qualify for and how much you can borrow, you can answer questions on its website or call to speak with a loan officer.

Lenders typically require an applicant to have at least a 620 credit score and a 3% down payment to qualify for a conventional loan. FHA loan requirements can vary — some lenders allow credit scores as low as 500, while others may not accept lower than 580. Minimum down payments on FHA loans range from 3.5% to 10%. VA loan requirements can also differ, but you typically need a credit score of 580 to qualify. This type of loan allows for 100% financing, which means there is no down payment requirement.

National mortgage requirements by type

Min. credit scoreMin. down paymentCompare with other lenders
ConventionalTypically 620Typically 3%Mortgage lenders
FHA5003.5% with 580 credit scoreFHA lenders
VASet by lender (often 580)0%VA lenders

For information about USDA lenders, read our guide on USDA loans.

Cost and fees

Zillow Home Loans does not list the lender fees it charges for new loans. After you apply, it will provide you with a Loan Estimate, a form that gives estimated costs and fees of your loan. These will include closing costs, which are typically 2% to 5% of the loan amount. At least three business days before your loan closing date, Zillow Home Loans will send a Closing Disclosure with final loan costs, including how much you need to pay at closing.

FAQ

How does Zillow Home Loans work?

Zillow Home Loans provides direct lending services to homebuyers and homeowners who want to refinance. It lists conventional loans, FHA loans and VA loans as its loan options. To get started with the application process, complete the purchase or refinance questionnaire on its website, and a loan officer will contact you. You can also contact Zillow Home Loans directly by phone.

Is Zillow Home Loans legit?

Zillow Home Loans is a legitimate lender that offers mortgage products in 47 states. It is an affiliate lender of Zillow, the popular real estate website.

Where is Zillow Home Loans available?

Zillow Home Loans is available in 47 states. Its products are not offered in New Jersey, New York or West Virginia.

Zillow Home Loans, LLC Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zillow Home Loans, LLC?

Original review: May 12, 2022

Alessandra ** is awesome, super professional, easy to work with and very knowledgeable. She helped make my home refinance go super smooth. She was always very responsive and timely. Made the process super easy and answered all my question. I would highly recommend her to all my friends and family and definitely looking forward to working with her again in the future.

Zillow Home Loans, LLC response

We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about our services. We are glad to hear that Alessandra provided you with exceptional support during a very important financial process in your life. Zillow Home Loans strives to enhance our borrowers experience each time out the gate! We will definitely recognize Alessandra! We look forward to working with you again in the future!

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 4, 2022

Alessandra ** is so knowledgeable, so helpful and was extremely patient during my refinance process. I cannot express how much I appreciate all she did to assist me with getting my finances in order and providing recommendations for the best refinance option. She explained the entire process with me and her communication skills are top notch which really made the entire refinance process a pleasant one. I have to mention that after shopping around to refinance, I selected Ally after consulting with multiple other loan officers. She appealed to me because of her knowledge in the mortgage industry and understanding of my situation. Ally has simply changed my life for the better and we look forward to continuing to seek her financial advice in the near future. Thank you Ally and team for all you did. We 100% recommend your services to anyone looking to refinance or obtain a new loan.

Zillow Home Loans, LLC response

We value our borrowers and pay attention to their needs. Our goal is to help them in any way we can, making the process easier on them. Feedback is an essential part of continuing to build on that success. Thank you for taking the time to tell us!

Original review: May 3, 2022

I really can't put into words what an absolute pleasure it was working with Alessandra **. We were a little reluctant to refinance online but she allayed all our fears and walked us through everything step by step. She's incredibly knowledgeable, friendly and considerate, happily addressing all our question with patience and professionalism. She made the whole process so simple it really was unbelievable. We closed in 12 days from my first conversation with her and she was on the ball, explaining all the details and walking us through every step from terms of the loan to how to upload documents. She truly is amazing and we are so happy without experience. If you need a mortgage look no further, Ally is hands down the best. Thanks again Ally!!

Zillow Home Loans, LLC response

Feedback is the core to success of a business! We value information about ways we can continue to improve upon our services. We appreciate the time you took to tell us! Thank you for helping us be the best!

Original review: April 21, 2022

Troy ** helped my wife and I through every step of the process of refinancing my home! He was very personable, professional, and patient with us! This can be a very stressful process but Troy made things go smoothly! He returned calls in a timely manner and addressed all our needs! If you are looking to refinance I highly recommend Troy! You will be very pleased! Troy is truly an asset to Zilliow Loans!

Zillow Home Loans, LLC response

We value our borrowers and pay attention to their needs. Our goal is to help them in any way we can, and make the process easier on them. Feedback is an essential part of continuing to build on that success. Thank you for taking the time to tell us!

Original review: April 20, 2022

Troy ** is a class act. I’m a very anxious person by nature and even more so with financial matters. Every question I had, and I had a lot, were answered quickly and fully. Anything he didn’t know right away he immediately found the answer and followed up with me. I honestly don’t know how he put up with me. I felt glad to have him on my side and you would too!

Zillow Home Loans, LLC response

Thank you for sharing your excellent experience with Zillow Home Loans! We're so glad to hear Troy was able to guide you through your purchase with the exceptional service we strive to give. Welcome to Zillow Home Loans!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2022

Phu has been incredibly accommodating and is very knowledgeable. I have come to him with at least a thousand questions and he has answered every single one. Phu has truly gone above and beyond and has earned my business. I did shop around at first and talked to 3 different lenders, but after my experience with Phu the other lenders felt inadequate. Phu is the man!

Zillow Home Loans, LLC response

We strive to surpass our borrowers expectations of excellent Customer Service. Customer feedback enables us to continue providing uncompromised service, thank you for taking the time to tell us!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2022

Great website, and works with ethics and help customers with their needs, their first priority customer satisfaction, their customer Service on point and can direct you with all your needs, they will willing to help with anything.

Zillow Home Loans, LLC response

We love hearing you had such a positive experience with us because providing our borrowers with an amazing experience is always our goal! We value the opportunity to work with you and appreciate your feedback, it means so much to us!

Original review: June 24, 2022

I’m currently in the process of applying for my first loan and have a ton of questions plus I’m super busy. Brianna ** has helped me get all my questions answered and has been flexible enough to accommodate my schedule. She’s been so great to work with!

Zillow Home Loans, LLC response

Providing our borrowers with an amazing experience is our goal each time! Your feedback is critical in continuing to improve upon our successes! Thank you for letting us know we could do that for you!

Original review: June 17, 2022

Cristina did a great job helping me figure out what it is that I had needed! She gave me whatever information that I had needed and was a great help in helping me figure out what information I needed for a mortgage.

Zillow Home Loans, LLC response

Exceptional service is our goal, so we love hearing we made the process easy for you. Your feedback is very much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to tell us!

Original review: June 16, 2022

As someone who was very new to this process as a first time home buyer I really felt like I needed somebody who could show me the ropes and help me better understand the full spectrum of this process. Christina did that and more. Well I didn't find a house in the time frame that I needed. Christina has been undoubtedly the most helpful person I could have found for better understanding this and giving me the confidence to move forward with this in the future. I will certainly come back to Christina in the future when I am in a better position to buy my first home. 10/10.

Hello:

We understand that home buying can be fraught with overwhelming amounts of information. We are thankful to be part of our borrowers journey, and overjoyed to hear that they had a wonderful experience with Christina. We will definitely recognize her for surpassing our borrowers expectation of service! When they are ready to proceed, they can let us know so that we can partner with them to make it a smooth process! We look forward to working with them in the future to realize their homeowning goals!

ConsumerAffairs writers primarily rely on government data, industry experts and original research from other reputable publications to inform their work. To learn more about the content on our site, visit our FAQ page. Specific sources for this article include:
    1. Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council, “HMDA Data Publication.” Accessed Sept. 28, 2022.
    2. Freddie Mac, “30-Year Fixed-Rate Mortgages Since 1971.” Accessed Sept. 28, 2022.

Zillow Home Loans, LLC Company Information

Public
    Formerly Named:
    Mortgage Lenders of America, L.L.C.
    10975 El Monte St.