1.28/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

438 Zillow.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

We had our house appraised by ZILLOW OFFERS. They offered us a cash price 15% below the current market value, despite comparable comps. The Zillow Zestimate and RANGE feels like a bait and switch tactic, as the offer they gave us BEFORE deducting paint, carpeting, etc from the price, was not even INSIDE the Zillow Zestimate range, which was between $433k-$480k and there was nothing wrong with our house besides some minor things.

Zillow charges the home seller BOTH a LISTING AGENT COMMISSION AND BUYING AGENT COMMISSION. If you're going to be charged these realty fees anyway, you might as well actually use a Listing agent and Buying agent who will present you with multiple offers and are motivated to get the highest price for your house so they can get better commissions. Why pay these fees if you're not actually getting the best price?

We listed on Zillow as FSBO (for sale by owner), but Zillow is charging us these fees anyway, which defeats the whole purpose of avoiding agent fees as FSBO.

Obviously the 15% below market price is a lowball offer, only good if you don't have the energy to list with an actual agent (since you will be paying those commission fees anyway) or are in an emergency situation and need quick cash. I don't see why any homeowner would go thru Zillow Offers. There is no benefit to being charged broker commissions, when they are not even giving you the market price.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

Zillow listed my house and it wasn't even for sale or rent! When I emailed them to remove it, they said to make an account with them and log on and remove it myself. I said I didn't want an account or to do that. Probably just a way to get info from me. Then they said I had to prove I was the owner. I said, "Well you listed fraudulently without my consent, knowledge or any kind of proof." But I still had to prove I was the owner, so I did. Felt very uncomfortable proving it, because I didn't want to give them any personal info since they are not a trustworthy company clearly.

While it was fraudulently for sale, I had Realtors calling and stopping by. So annoying! After several emails and days later and me proving I was the owner, they finally removed it. I asked for the info on how it got listed and they would not give it to me. The whole thing was annoying, time-consuming and total fraud on their part I feel!

Get expert buying tips about Real Estate Websites delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

After using this "contact" service for some time, the efficacy of the contacts had degraded. The employee that called me this morning, Lauren, gave me her explanation of the stock market, recent election and several other factors, all of which I'm sure the management team at Zillow decided is the best was to handle subscribers that call to complain about the quality of their offering. I'll assume Lauren, a customer advocate person, is going through this daily.

As I began explaining the challenges I've had, Lauren's only solution was to "let you out of your contract". Lauren stated "this is service is no longer working for you". I was simply looking for an explanation why I had not received the services that were explained to me (warm transfer of "qualified" contacts) that some other Zillow employee stated I would receive when they adopted the new one contact per month for $500 fee. None of that happened either. Maybe others have experienced a higher level of service and better payoff, but when I tried to explain that I had not received a single qualified buyer contact in nearly three months (Lauren didn't offer any of my money back), Lauren's solution was to go back when I did get a buyer that closed to explain to me that my ROI should be sufficient to absorb the months where their service lacked luster.

Instead of offering a different zip-code area, using her statistics to overcome my concerns, offering some type of benefit for retention of my subscription, her only option was cut-bait and get to the next person, of course... Zillow has it made. They use the database I pay for as a realtor that we give them access to. The only reason Lauren called was to rebuke everything I stated as an area of concern, rather Lauren was super focused on her statistics and analysis of a market, over 2500 miles away from her office, insisting she was the queen of contact conversion and she was there to help me understand how to be more effective.

Lauren's condescending attitude is, for some reason, what I expected as a typical response. Lauren was quick to terminate my subscription, so as to make sure I'm "totally satisfied". This will allow the lack of leads to go to a smaller subscriber audience, and maybe they'll be happy with them. I'm putting my marketing dollars into realtor.com and maybe Lauren will sleep better knowing there's one less angry agent that she or her colleagues will need to contend with moving forward.

Happy holidays Zillow. Take the $1,500 that I've given you for NO LEADS and maybe Lauren can use it to help the next person that inquires about how they (Zillow) can help us be more effective contact conversion experts... After all, I have only been selling for 3+ decades, was nominated for VIP at HP twice (received once), during my nearly 15 years, at HP, in sales and after generating nearly $500,000,000 in lifetime sales, I guess Lauren had all of the answers. She sure liked to think she did. One less realtor subscriber to Zillow in Tampa, FL - Charles.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

Well you do get leads, few. Many people call to offer their service of cleaning my home and stuff like that. Other times random text of people enter through the app, and when you call, those people don’t even know who you are, they seem surprised that someone deviated their personal text or phone call to become a Zillow lead. Lately all they do is send messages like, "Sorry we missed you," but when I look, the phone never rang, email did not collect any info, the app does not even have info collected, it seem like they just make that up to justify how astronomically high their charges are like, thousand and thousands. And how bad their service is. Good look canceling, they would keep you in hold.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

An absolutely huge waste of hard earned money. Once you sign that contract the tone of your account rep totally changes. They sucker you in and steal your money. If you want to try Zillow DO NOT sign the 6 month contract. Go month to month and refuse the concierge service, all they do is scare leads off. I have been successfully doing real estate for 18 years and this by far was the biggest waste of money I have ever spent for lead generation. Terrible!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zillow.com?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

What a waste of time and money, a 6 month contract and the hole in my pocket was larger by over $3000.00. The app does not work outside of WIFI. I have been an agent for 8 years so I pretty much know what I am doing, I know a scam when I see one. Not one lead materialized and they charged $187 per lead. I complained to the person I was dealing with ( Mr. Johnathan **). A pleasant enough guy with no resolutions except "I understand"- while trying to sell me a new product. You are better off advertising in your local newspaper and doing your regular networking - trust me this does not work!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Having lived in Seattle for over a decade, I was an early fan a promoter. However, Zillow has failed recently in many ways. Go to RedFin - don't waste your time with Zillow, why? Zillow's Zestimates are horrible. The idea of harvesting publicly available information was promising, but their algorithms are dumber than a brick.

As a fan, I even tried on several occasions (I own 4 properties) to 'help' them improve their algos with 'inside information to no avail. The best you can do is get a CS rep that could give two craps about your 'help' or opinions, not even willing to pass along actual sales contracts (which Zillow doesn't have). I was aware of Redfin, but only from a discount RE alternative. Until recently, I learned that RE agents actually pay attention to RedFin, provide guidance and totally disregard Zillow - even in Seattle...and for good reason!!

I have deleted my Zillow apps in favor of Redfin, and you should do the same - Zillow had great promise, but has absolutely FAILED to deliver. Dont waste your time or energy - they are lost in the wilderness and really dont care about improving their platform (which is rapidly losing credibility). Dont believe me, go check what Wall Street analysts has to say - they are a dead company still walking.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

If you are an agent thinking about advertising on Zillow beware! The sales people exaggerate on how many leads you get. The leads are almost all worthless. It's a 6 month contract. Plus I got billed another $1,000 even AFTER my contract expired due to something in their fine print saying they can do this unless you call them in time to "cancel" on a contract that is EXPIRED. That is just stealing now. I got ZERO "seller boost" leads that they promised. You will pay huge money and if you are lucky you will make as much as you spend. This means you have worked for nothing. Your so called ROI that they show you is considering that you worked your tail off and should be MUCH higher. You are better off investing it in the stock market. Stay away from Zillow. There are plenty of other forms of advertising that are a far better ROI.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

People be aware of Zillow app. They are sharing information with real estate agents. I had no idea my agent can see what I mark on my tablet as of - favorite homes. This is invasion of privacy. It's my business what I like not his. It brings another question - what else they can see on my tablet.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Where do I start with Zillow/Trulia!! I have been advertising with Zillow as a premier agent for months now, and I can tell you that it is 100% a scam. I needed a new place to allocate some advertising dollars and decided to give Zillow a try. The sales rep, Kevin **, told me the number of leads per zip I would receive (18) for the spend I was willing to do ($1400 a month). Zillow makes you sign a 6 month contract, and I was a bit hesitant to commit to $8400 for 6 months worth of advertising.

Over the first few weeks, I realized that I made a terrible BIG mistake. I would say 90% of the leads are absolutely worthless. I was receiving rental leads and I told the rep that I needed leads for home purchases ONLY. That's how we make money-selling homes and not renting them!! He respond that he was a are and that they would refund me and never fit credit me or refund me! Second off they were advertising properties that were not listed for months or that were sold months ago... TOTAL SCAM AND TOTAL DECEPTIVE ADVERTISING!! Not sure how they are still around and how this company Is not shut down yet. I have had several real estate agents go on there a click the lead and then tell me they are agents wondering about the property for sale that was not for sale on our local Realtracs website! Of course it's not on MLS because ZILLOW WAS FALSY ADVERTISING THIS PROPERTY.

At the end of the day that lead was counted against my leads as a one of my leads- It's a TOTAL SCAM- DO NOT ADVERTISE WITH THESE SHARKS!! It is a SCAM. I asked the rep, Kevin, to see if he can cancel my first week into it and of course he could not. He asked me to pay 2 months to buy out of my contract! WOW!!! I asked him if I get leads for those 2 months and he said NO- that month buy out (2800) was to get out of their scam! I want to get the word out to everyone in the real estate business so maybe I can save you from getting scammed and ripped off. DO NOT ADVERTISE ON ZILLOW or TRULIA! I am filing a class action lawsuit against them for so many reasons. If you would like to join me- send me a message.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I have owned my home for 3 years. The home was built in 2006. It was a HUD home which I repaired and updated with about $55,000 worth of repairs and updates. I signed into Zillow and found my home immediately dropped 35,000 in value making it the lowest priced home in my subdivision... Lower than a house less than 2/3 its size. The drop then slowly came back to where it was when I purchased it about 6 months later. I updated the pictures both inside and out and fixed the description.

After doing that I received a threatening notice from Zillow taking down all my pictures and deleting the description and telling me it was not my house and they were turning me over to law enforcement. I was never contacted. They also deleted my access to the house. This year, 2018, I was able to get back in and post several pictures but am still unable to fix the description. My house is now going down in value for the last 2 months where all the other houses in the 115 house subdivision are going up. The average selling price for a home in this subdivision is in excess of 100/sq.ft. Yet Zillow values them much lower. No matter how many times I point this out they just give me their standard algo crap. They are so far off base that they even use the value of over 1000 mobile homes with no land to compute the residence value of a house.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

My Zestimate if off by nearly $100k compared to both a recent appraisal, the Redfin estimate and an identical property a few doors down. I reminded them that it is damaging to the homeowner when this occurs, and asked them on multiple occasions to either correct or remove the Zestimate. The neighboring property is IDENTICAL to mine in every way (same subdivision, built in 2017, same floor plan, same condition,etc.) and the Zestimate this property is using the SAME SALES COMPS As with mine. So why is my value coming out differently?!! No customer service phone number, and no way to escalate and issue. ** Zillow!! I will NEVER use them, and I will NEVER let my agent post with them.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

Zillow should check landlords. I unfortunately rented one of his units. He promises to do things by move in date. This does not happen and you are stuck. Very bad at fixing things that break in unit. Try to blame on tenant. Charges you for everything. Hires people with no license. Not insured. And very anti ** and anti women. This is due to he is gay/and unfortunately racism is alive. DO NOT RENT FROM HIM.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

Every time I look at a listings map it's wrong. I've checked listings that I know exactly where they are at and Zillow's map is totally wrong. What a farce! How am I supposed to trust listings that I'm not familiar with the area. I now use a competitor's app to get my info.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I have used the Zillow app for once to rent my condo. All of the sudden Zillow doesn’t allow my listing to be viewed, and has been placed on hold. All emails have been ignored. BIG SCAM!!! STAY AWAY!!!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I have used the Zillow app for years to rent my retirement Tahoe cabin. All the sudden Zillow doesn’t allow my listing to be viewed, and has been placed on hold. Two emails have been ignored. I believe they are denying me access because they are reporting incorrect information on my primary residence, which I was scammed by Predatory Lenders, I took these Predatory Lenders to court and won my house, but Zillow is reporting incorrectly, and now denying me use of placing a rental ad on my retirement cabin.

Two separate properties, but I automatically Guilty. I have learned in CA anyone may scam you, and you are still automatically Guilty. Due Process is nonexistent. Zillow also discriminates by automatically adding 6% realtor fees helping the realtors to take outrageous amounts of money. And by the way I am a retired realtor, I left real estate sales because of the scams. Furthermore I have compiled approximately 30 years of evidence against the real estate industry. Home ownership in CA means you lose all your basic rights, anyone can put a lien on your property with notifying you. I plan to eventually sell both my properties without Zillow and without 6% rip off realtors.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I have been advertising with Zillow as a premier agent for 5 months now, and I can tell you that it is 100% a scam. I needed a new place to allocate some advertising dollars and decided to give Zillow a try. The sales rep, Lindsay **, told me the number of leads per zip I would receive (43) for the spend I was willing to do ($3,000 a month). Zillow makes you sign a 6 month contract, and I was a bit hesitant to commit to $18,000 for 6 months worth of advertising. Over the first few months I realized that I made a terrible mistake. I would say 90% of the leads are absolutely worthless. I have had one guy contact me through Zillow and ask what the number was for Zillow's customer service. Are you kidding me? That counts as a one of my leads. Just yesterday I had a lady who barely spoke a lick of English call and ask what was going on with this particular property.

After a few questions I was able to ascertain that she wrote up an offer on this property and wanted to know what happened!!! Instead of calling the agent who wrote up the offer she submitted an inquiry on Zillow. What do you know, that counts as a lead against me. To top it all off the 43 leads I was sold on has now dwindled to 23 in month #5. Each month they sell more advertising so the number of leads per share goes down, but the amount they charge me does not go down relatively. It is borderline criminal. It is a SCAM. I asked my marketing rep, Jeff **, to see if he can cancel my last month. Of course he could not. Ha, what was I thinking. They do not want to lose out on screwing me for that last $3,000. In closing, I want to get the word out to everyone in the business so maybe I can save someone else from getting scammed. Learn from my mistake, DO NOT ADVERTISE ON ZILLOW.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

We had a wonderful experience with our realtor Ken **. It seemed as though anytime we called to go see a house, he would drop what he was doing and help us. He was very attentive to our needs, and knowledgeable when asked questions. We have been in our new house around 4 months and look to Ken as a valued friend now.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I called in for assistance on the new application form. I am the landlord and a potential renter has responded. I received a notice, However, for MY verification they want to do a complete background check on me, asking to sign off on way too many rights as a landlord. This service is bogus, I tried calling in for help and I was luck to get to speak to someone but they could not help me, naturally, I had to be transferred and told I would receive a call "shortly". Well it has been Five hours and no call. Extremely poor customer relations. There is NO number that Zillow has the decency to publish so you can call to receive any information on your post off of which they make money. Sicking.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I have tried calling about 5 different agents listed on Zillow and every one of them is rude, sound annoyed that you are calling. A couple said they would call back. One did 6 hours later and we politely told Mr. ** we had gone with another agent. He laughed with a hiccup and said, "Good luck with that." There was one lady that wasn't, Dana and when I said we had gone with another agent she politely wished us an good day and a good luck. She would have been one to work with but she called hours later as well, after quickly saying she would have to call us back, as soon as she answered.

Rude tones and undertones that just make me want to say vomitus comments and spew the frustration they all have created in me. So far as listings I don't know about too much accuracy since I can't get anyone to be reliable. One house I drove by myself and it was burned to a crisp, another was leaning so bad because of foundation issues that noticeably changed the condition of a home to a teardown.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I was curious to know the value of the homes in my neighborhood. The exact same house as mine just sold last month after the first owner passed away. I went on Zillow website just to see what they had it listed for. The house across the street sold for 32k less than Zillow listed. So I called a realtor to come out. Actually I called 4 realtors who sell homes in the area. Each agent who knows nothing about each other, priced my home within $500-$1000 from each other. Zillow have my home priced $25k over the value. I contacted Zillow to ask them to take my home off their site because they are reporting numbers just to draw attention to their business and my home is not and won’t ever be for sale so there isn’t any reason to list it.

Zillow customer service department contacted me back to tell me that Zillow isn’t a realtor, they just offer the public a starting point when buying or selling. Zillow stated that they use MLS and the county’s assessment. That is false also. Because according to my assessment, they are now pricing my home at $75k over value. What kind of starting point are they offering if they are already $25k overpriced. This company is just another website that’s trying to get exposure to bring their ratings up. No matter how unrealistic their findings are. And with all the misleading, false information and all the complaints, it’s really amazing that the State Department still allowing them to remain in business. I read that a judge dismissed the class action lawsuit against Zillow as well. With all of this information right in front of them, this company still able to remain in business and report unrealistic false information.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

We are thinking of selling our home in the next few years. While researching comparable sales in my area of New Jersey, I noticed that Zillow's "zestimate" was very low. I updated some incorrect information and added some details that were missing from their description. My property immediately lost more than $30,000 in value. Zillow's estimate my home's value is now approximately 50% of what it should sell for. This figure is so absurd that it would be laughable if not for my nagging fear that it may lead buyers to think my home is worth less than it is. I have been unable to change this figure and my calls and emails to Zillow have gone unanswered. I learned that a class action suit against Zillow was recently dismissed. Unfortunately, this turn of events will allow Zillow to continue to harm both buyers and sellers. BEWARE OF THIS COMPANY AND THEIR UNETHICAL BUSINESS PRACTICES.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Scam, false advertising and bait and switch tactics. Do not go on this website/they promote listings that are not accurate. They sell the info to real estate agents and scam you. I purchased leads from them and they were a bunch of scam and false leads. This method is terrible - run and do not sign up - it’s the worst. When you Try and cancel, they strong arm you and ask you to pay 2 months to buy out and you won’t get nothing for that amount. It’s fraud and I’ll be reporting them to the state.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

My experience was with the realtor and sales Dept. The people recruiting realtors will promise you anything to get you to sign up, once you have joined Zillow and obligated your self to a ad campaign that cost way too much, you find out that what you were told was all a lie. I did not receive half the clients that I was promised nor was the way that you receive clients. In short, I was screwed and given nothing for my money.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I am not selling my home, but in the past I enjoyed watching the Zestimate for it rise regularly. Suddenly last month, the estimate dropped by One Third. When I contacted them, I got some BS form letter about algorithms. I can believe this company was founded by Microsoft employees. I have had similar bad experiences with hidden fees on the Microsoft cloud service. Zillow. What kind of name is Zillow anyway? Thankfully, their estimates are generally recognized to be useless.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Christopher ** made our house selling process go very smoothly and it was hassle free. He's very professional and knows his business. I would highly recommend Christopher to all of my family and friends.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Everyone I am writing this Review to inform THE WORLD not to be scammed by an UNLAWFUL HOME RENTAL ADVERTISEMENT that is currently posted on Zillow. I have reported this unlawful home rental advertisement to their Customer Support. I was KNOWINGLY LIED TO ABOUT THEM GOING TO REMOVE IT, BUT IT WAS NOT.

The address of this property is **. This property was unlawful sold by Executrix of the Estate on November 20, 2017. This property is currently in Litigation, and it is currently under review by the Supreme Court of Georgia. For them to VOID THE UNLAWFUL SALE OF THIS PROPERTY, THEN ORDER IT IMMEDIATELY TRANSFERRED TO THE ESTATE BENEFICIARIES. Everyone if you're looking to rent a property in Northwest Atlanta. Do not rent this estate property currently in litigation, before the Supreme Court of Georgia. I've posted 2 blog posts on this property on my business blog, for everyone to read.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Have my house undervalued with different comparative listings than it. I say get comps now, then puts value where it should be with correct comps (40,000 difference) then it says contact agent and if you don't it puts it back with the wrong comps and lower price again!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Zillow has posted a "Zestimate" of my home that is grossly incorrect. I have notified them numerous times and gave them the correct information with no correction to the "Zestimate". Zillow info not reflecting updated MLS. Current buyers should disregard Zillow and find more reliable websites from the listing agents. Time for State Attorney Generals to stop Zillow from posting Zestimates!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

It has been mine and my wife's experience that Zillow way undervalues our house. The algorithm they use is ridiculous and then potential buyers tend to use it as gospel. When comparing their estimates to an independent Realtor in our area and also Realtor.com, Redfin.com, Remax.com, and Realtytrac.com our home is always $75,000-$100,000 at least undervalued. To make matters, worse they will do nothing about it when we confronted them with the data and facts.

Zillow.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Zillow was launched by two former Microsoft executives in 2006. It is owned by the Zillow Group and makes a profit by selling ad space on the website and through its partner with U.S. newspapers to provide real estate searches on their websites. Zillow lists all types of real estate available for sale and rent.

• Multiple search areas: Users can search for houses in select neighborhoods or areas simultaneously and exclude all homes listed outside of those areas. Site visitors can circle the area(s) they are interested in on a digital map and then apply filters to homes inside those areas.

• Zillow Digs: Zillow Digs, a portion of Zillow’s website, helps people find design and decoration inspiration. It shows pictures of both interior and exterior spaces and lists prices for materials used as well as an estimate for labor cost.

• Zillow Advice: The Zillow Advice section of the company’s website serves as a forum where individuals can ask and respond to real estate related questions. Users can sort by city or neighborhood to see discussions about problems or trends in their area.

• Sun NumberTM: Those interested in using solar energy will find Zillow’s Sun Number, which is listed on the page for each property. This number tells how well-suited the house is for installing solar panels based on the building type, climate, electricity cost and solar installation cost.

• Zestimate: Each house listed on Zillow has a Zestimate, which estimates the current market value of the house, the amount it could be rented for and whether the value is projected to increase or decrease over the following year.

• Best for: Zillow is best for house hunters, renters, homeowners and real estate agents.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs