1.30/5
Based on 131 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

385 Zillow.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 21, 2018

I listed my home for sale by owner with Zillow and they have devalued my home every day since. The very same home two blocks from me is still showing $10,000 higher. What gives Zillow? Is this your way of appeasing the real estate agents or what? I certainly would have paid the same fee had I know this would happen otherwise. This information is on the internet now and the damage is done. If you're trying to sell on your own, don't use Zillow or Trulia; you're better off just sticking a sign in your yard and using social media to advertise.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I have had my home on Zillow as "For Sale By Owner" for months. I log on to the site daily. Upon logging in Remax had taken over my address and changed everything to an empty lot. I contacted them & they stated it was a Zillow issue. I reclaimed my property & it will not let me change the listing price back, the description, or any vital information so I can return my listing back to where it should be. I called them directly & I'm only able to leave voicemails with them NEVER returning my call. I have filled out all the forms on the "Help" section & nothing.

Get expert buying tips about Real Estate Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 18, 2018

Tom ** handling of our four real estate transactions has far exceeded our expectations. Tom has consistently gone above and beyond his role as our realtor. His attention to detail and calm and friendly demeanor have served us well in the sale of two homes in Warwick and West Warwick and in the purchases and sales of two East Greenwich condominium units. In addition to being an established real estate broker, Tom is a skilled contractor who has accomplished several tasks for us that require knowledge in carpentry. This versatility of skills as well as his ability to effectively communicate with clients makes him uniquely qualified in his field.

Original review: June 18, 2018

I placed my home on sale a week ago and Zillow has yet to get the information right. They posted that we are a managed property and the lot size is 182.04 acres. Big difference from 0.45 acres. I have placed a call to Zillow and still haven't heard from them. My agent has attempted to correct the issues but with no luck. The views of the property are now at zero so I figure I am locked into a contract that will go nowhere. Don't trust or use Zillow if you have a choice.

Original review: June 15, 2018

We spend more than $35000 with a 6 month contract to barely get our money back, barely. Most leads were bogus, not real emails or telephone number, they did not call back, for rentals or houses that are pending already, from other areas we did not subscribe... we are never going to use this company. They sell space to too many agents and it is junk in junk out. We are happy to get our money back. But after 6 months of so much effort to break even is not worth at all.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zillow.com?

Original review: June 14, 2018

Zillow has listed incorrect info on my home, but... more than that, they list my home as being sold on April 15, 2015 for $1 million dollars! I called their corporate office in Seattle, WA., I called them two weeks ago and only got voice mail. I left the info and my name a phone number and they never got back to me. Last week I called again. Still no reply. I then contacted a real estate agent listed on my home site, and received a call back. She said that she'll get back to me. That was two days ago. Now I have to contact the property people to see that my home is mine, even though I still get my property tax bill. Zillow is making me check out my own property when they could have had answered my questions and take off the "sold" info. Don't trust Zillow. They don't care about their bad info or the hardship they cause homeowners go through just to be sure that I am not a victim identity theft.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I’m a realtor in Orlando, FL. I had a lot of trouble when I was on Zillow with inaccurate data. They linked a brand new construction property I had recently closed, and was posted on Zillow, to a rundown mobile home that was never my listing. I called and emailed support several times and no one ever responded. So every time I got a sales call asking me to pay for leads and to get pushed in front of site users, I told them if they would fix that link I would consider paid advertising. The link was never corrected. I realized that Zillow was a lead generator for agents who pay and the data didn’t seem important to them in my opinion. The values are rarely accurate. There was a news article a while back about Zillow's CEO's own property being overvalued by 40% on Zillow compared to its sale price.

Also during the three years I had an account on Zillow, I was contacted by people claiming to want to see homes listed as active on Zillow but when I checked the MLS the properties were either in contract or had closed or were never in the MLS. I would send MLS reports to the people confirming status and they would reply, “But it’s on Zillow,” as if Zillow were infallible. Buyers beware of any properties you find on Zillow or any other 3rd party sites. There are so many scams in real estate right now and people are losing deposits and down payments through wire frauds and even in-person with contracts that appear legit. If you can’t find the contact person on a real estate company website to verify who they are, be very careful how you proceed.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Zillow has illegally listed my home on their website as a foreclosure. I have tried to contact them 5 times in the past 2 years. I am filing defamation charges against the company! They are horrible people who don’t have a clue what they are doing. Please check your address, they probably have your home listed in foreclosure!

Original review: June 13, 2018

I own a duplex and am trying to list it for rent on Zillow. Zillow shows that it is still for sale with a link from ERA realtors. This listing agent is who I purchased this home from. On the ERA realtor webpage it is listed as not for sale because I now own it. Zillow still has some kind of link to the original listing and will not update it or remove the inaccurate link. They are saying, "We cannot remove the link and it has to be done from the listing agent." I have told them I have contacted the listing agent and he has no active link. This is the ERA web link **. This is the Zillow link **. I am unable to list it for rent on Zillow until they fix this link. I have also offered to furnish any requirement of my ownership of this property.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I am trying to delete the listing I created. Delete, not deactivate. I simply want to completely delete it. Zillow has decided not to provide that feature, unlike every other application out there. THEY DO NOT LET YOU DELETE A LISTING. They make you send in an email, and then they ignore it. They do not let you delete listing, you cannot call them, and they do not reply to emails. DO NOT USE THIS SITE TO MANAGE YOUR PROPERTY.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I had a client review rejected for no specific reason. How is a client suppose to know what to edit in their review if Zillow does not tell them what needs to be revised. I also had several approved Zillow review posted and responded to back me deleted for no reason or explanation by Zillow. I asked Zillow to not contact me to advertise and I am still getting calls. I hope this site does not allow Zillow to delete this review as well.

Original review: May 26, 2018

I called about an apt for rent. The “owner” contacted me 5 days later saying he worked on an oil rig out of town. He sent a pic of his passport and asked for my ID to start application process which I sent. He says he rents through Home Away and wanted $800 up front then he would fly in from California to show me the apt, promising to return the money no questions asked if I decided not to take it. I googled the property and it is a shoe repair shop. He also wouldn’t call me to discuss in person saying he didn’t have cellphone service on the oil rig. He had an excuse about why the Home Away people couldn’t call me either. I regret that I sent my ID. I put out alerts on it in case they try to use it. I contacted Zillow and they said the ad had been taken down so they couldn’t do anything. So BEWARE OF SCAMMERS USING THIS SITE TO STEAL YOUR IDENTITY AND YOUR MONEY!!!

Original review: May 9, 2018

No words for these silver tongued devils! They promise great results and to provide exclusive leads. I keep finding out that other agents are working the same leads that are supposedly my exclusive leads. I have paid an incredible amount of money to these leeches only to have ZERO dollars in return. If agents would quit paying ZILLOW to take our inventory that we create and sell the leads back to us they would go away. It’s beyond comprehension how NAR, KAR and local MLS systems even have allowed this interloper to come in. ZILLOW is not a good investment for Realtors.

Original review: May 8, 2018

Be prepared for a nightmare when trying to edit your listing, or be froze out from claiming your listing altogether. These people have not responded to our continuous pleas for help to try to rectify the situation. I would give them a zero rating if possible. **.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I try to sell my home by owner and the site keeps messing up. I can't log in. I can't edit. I try to contact them yet they did nothing and can't even get my home off the site. Now am getting sick here. Terrible how they treat people. Don't know why they have a site if they can't fix their errors and help people.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I've checked homes on Zillow that are for sale or for rent and the days the property has been listed in the market is very incorrect... one house I visited I spoke to neighbors and they are telling me otherwise... one house posted on the market for 29 days, when I found out the previous owner had been out for 9 months. This same issue went on with rentals as well as homes for sale... is this a trick to want to make you believe the homes have been recently listed... so they won't look like no one wants to rent or buy them.

Original review: May 5, 2018

While Zillow Apt Listings is a helpful service, its current software is difficult to navigate for real estate professionals A total overhaul is needed to make the posting process less convoluted. It appears whoever or whatever created it has never been on firing line of commercial rental real estate. Most annoying is the message 'already posted' when in fact it's brand new and worthy of publication. While Craigslist was fraud, Zillow-Trulia-Hotpads - as constituted is like the back end of a horse running the wrong way. The line between apts and houses is way too blurry.

Original review: May 4, 2018

Zillow has stolen $500 from me by getting my debit card information without my consent. I never gave them my new debit card information. They have found a way to hack me and get it somehow. Until this day I have never received my refund and they have contemplated a way to prove that what they did is legal. Each "customer care" agent working for Zillow are just trying to make commission out your zip code purchase. Please do not fall for the Zillow Premier Agent. AVOID THIS!!!

Original review: May 3, 2018

Zillow has now forced agent to use their concierge service. Instead of receiving an email, they not require that we pick up the phone and be put in immediate contact with the buyer. If you do not take the call then you lose the lead. As a rural broker I spend much of my time on the road. So I am forced to take calls while I am driving which is dangerous. Further, as I am often not familiar with the property the buyer is inquiring about, I am not able to help the buyer properly. In the past we would get an email and we could look up the property, discuss it with the listing agent and discuss it intelligently with the buyer. Further, I have a team and in the past I could distribute email leads to the agent most capable of being of assistance. This is no longer possible. This is obviously another attempt by Zillow to control information with little respect for the buyers and agents that use their service.

Original review: April 29, 2018

This is one company no one should trust their so called fake Zestimates. I will give the history of a specific home to prove that their modeling of estimates is nowhere close to Sale price and market prices. I monitor a home whose value let's say is estimated at $2.8M in very good school district and close to so many companies and easy access to freeways and much more. These estimates were rising every 15 days or so as home sales went up and had reached $2.8M. Now comes the fake information, the day this home is put on market at noon, by evening the Zestimate dropped to $2.6M - a sudden drop by $200K+. Next few days it lingered around and each day I would see different numbers and finally settling to $2.55M. When I look at the home sold and comparable homes they are at $2.9M to $3.3M. Homes are sold $350K to $600K more than the listed price. They also show list price to sold price is 118%.

So how can one trust this website when they fake their estimates and claim they all based on similar sales with comparable homes in the neighborhood. When I collected all the data for all homes, and went by their own comparable homes, the home value estimates need to go up rather than down. Their stats are so wrong, but the average list to sold is close to accurate. So one needs to find the estimate round about way and a common person cannot get this stat directly. Zillow - just shut your business and your estimates are fake and incorrect. Until you correct them - no one gets you more business.

Original review: April 26, 2018

Buyer Realtor - Kerie ** Berkshire Hathaway: I want anyone and everyone to understand how bad an experience I have had with this person. He has lied, he has been unscrupulous and so unethical in my experience of selling and purchasing homes. We have purchased and sold many and he made this last sale the worst experience. I worry about new buyers and sellers because this realtor is unethical and he has no morals. This man came to our realtor with an offer that had no contingencies.

The day before we were ready to close and understand we were in the midst of moving out he goes dark. No calls, he would not answer his phone but the escrow states that there is a contingency home. Our realtor pulls in his managers and they state the house will be closed by the following Tuesday and that has not happened either. This realtor is back to not answering phone calls. I will tell everyone I know to never use this person. We now have a mortgage and rent to pay due to this liar.

Original review: April 25, 2018

In trying to put a listing on Zillow for a new home, an offshore call center called to ask a few questions in their "review" for the listing. Caught me away from the office, verified Complete address, house description however because I couldn't recall the "exact price" to the dollar they disqualified the ad. When I asked for them to be a little more flexible because I was close enough in price to verify it was me, they said that wasn't good enough. When I asked to speak to a supervisor she said that was not an option and promptly told me she was going to disqualify the ad and ended the call.

Original review: April 25, 2018

Zillow inaccurately reflects our home value on their site $80,000 lower than their own valuation, which is based on 10 comps their system selected across our neighborhood. Those comps yielded a value of $550k, and yet the public view indicates the value is $470k. This problem has persisted now for weeks. After approximately 10 e-mails with customer service (including an encouraging request from Zillow for our property tax assessment statement, which I provided 2-3 weeks ago), the company continues to ignore the issue. They will only say that "the developers are looking into it," which has been repeated multiple times.

It seems necessary to take defensive action against Zillow's fraudulent misrepresentation of our property value, and negligent lack of response when proof of the tax assessment value of our property was provided as requested. We have too much at risk to sit and wait while Zillow ignores this -- which according to many other reviews on this site is apparently their standard mode of operation. It seems the business model is to intentionally reflect home values below market until they are paid to reflect the accurate value. Based on various legal arguments, it would seem this could be considered blackmail. Interestingly, Realtor.com provides a much more accurate value ($70,000 higher than Zillow's value). We have used Zillow heavily for years but will now be switching to Realtor.com for all our real estate needs.

Original review: April 23, 2018

Zillow is a real estate website that provides more information about the hidden costs of homeownership than any other real estate website I have seen. In Mark **'s article about the hidden costs of homeownership, he also talks about Zillow. After reading this article, I decided to check out the website for myself. Zillow breaks down the expenses that most people do not think about when they are purchasing a home. Zillow provides home value, price/tax history, mortgages, competition, home expenses, and more. When buying a home, there are so many "hidden" costs that the buyer needs to be aware of. Zillow is helpful when trying to decide if one wants to become a homeowner or a renter.

Original review: April 22, 2018

I am a Realtor (Agent) in the Tulsa area and I wanted to comment on some of the reviews. First, all agents agree with these comments and completely feel your pain. We have a love/hate relationship with Zillow and we continue to seek out other options to capture these Buyers but currently, this is where consumers are going for their home searches so it is in our best interest to continue to advertise on their site. (at much $$$!)

The reason for writing this is to reassure those with concerns about the content displayed on Zillow. Agents always... ALWAYS... RE-educate the buyers and sellers who come to us from this site due to many inaccuracies. Often the homes Buyers inquire about have already been sold, 1/2 baths are rounded up by Zillow to a full baths and the Zestimate is completely inaccurate pretty much 100% of the time.

For these reasons alone, it would make sense that Sellers selling their home should use a Listing Agent and Buyers should be represented by a Buyers Agent. This is not a self-promotion opportunity, this is an obvious fact based on the issues listed prior. Without Agents, the inaccuracies listed online will be the only "truth" for Buyers; something Sellers have a difficult time overcoming by themselves. Buyers without a Buyers Agent are in jeopardy of purchasing an overpriced home if the Zestimate is much higher than market value.

Agents know and hear of many unfortunate home buying experiences (I had one buying my first home and why I became an agent) but MOST of us are here to help our clients, to advise them, educate them and we strive for a deal that is a "Win, Win" on BOTH sides of the Closing table. Unfortunately, those of us who honestly care, are required to overcome the reputation of the bad seeds in our industry who didn't.

Agents are always open to other solutions to capture the consumers looking to buy, sell or invest in real estate (...looking in the Tulsa area! Hint! Hint! Wink! THAT is a self-promotion! Insert smiley face here.) Rest assured, that as long as consumers continue to use online sites, Agents will be there to re-educate them with the correct information about your homes. I hope this helps! Have a wonderful day!

Original review: April 20, 2018

I've had problems with Zillow like all the complaints listed here. I pretended to be their paying Real Estate agent to get a live person. Both guys I spoke to didn't want to deal with me once they learned I'm a consumer. Big question is why and how is Zillow allowed to exist as a company when there are so many fraudulent business practices and content that is actually damaging homeowner's financial return? Isn't there enough complaints for Consumer Affairs to point this to governmental agency to investigate? They will not speak to Homeowners -- they only have phone contact for Real Estate agents (members) who pay subscription to their business. They are not interested in knowing problems to their business or fixing it. Yet, causing so much damage to consumers.

Original review: April 20, 2018

Lost over 40 on a home in Florida due to Zillow’s inaccuracies and so-called famous Zestimate on a totally remodeled home but yet the same style home next door being a 10 year rental with no updates or upgrades continually came out smelling like a rose over our property. Now 5 years later, same games. False representation of facts. Acreage I don't own. Carports that do not exist plus much more, Zestimate pulled out of someone's hind end but yet this company is allowed to continue to destroy people at the push of a button with no intervention from any agency who's getting their palm greased to allow such deception to continue?

Original review: April 19, 2018

I have had my house listed for a few months. On December 11, 2017 I went from 225 saves to 23 saves. When I called Zillow I was told there is a "bug" in the system. I tried to explain to them that it could damage my house because viewers might think something was wrong with the house. It is now April 2018 and nothing has been fixed. To add insult to injury -- they have bounced my "Zestimate" between 925,000 and 781,000. I have given up trying to get them to fix anything because they quite frankly appear incompetent, and they give you the attitude that they could care less.

Updated on 05/10/2018: Was told there was a bug. After 6 months they never fixed it 2Austin in their service dept signed off on my account that the problem was completely resolved. Flash forward --- now we went from 54 saves to 0. When is anybody from Consumer Affairs going to approach these Keystone Cop Idiots to find out what the heck is going on???

Original review: April 17, 2018

I have been upset with how Zillow values homes for some time now. I have lost potential buyers over the years because of the false 'Home Values' Zillow places on homes. Why do I say false? The comps they use are worthless. They compared our waterfront home with GULF access to homes that aren't even on the water. Waterfront homes with GULF access are typically $200,000 or more than homes that are not on the water. Waterfront homes on fresh water are still at least $100,000 less.

Instead of comparing homes (listed on zillow) that are in the same neighborhood, they compare your house to homes miles away that have a much lower value. Don't bother emailing or calling and leaving messages because don't fix their mistakes or return calls. No wonder agents have such contempt for Zillow. And for homeowners, Zillow is responsible for losing them buyers because most people just don't understand how to compare homes and think Zillow does. If you don't do your homework don't "VALUE" a home Zillow. You don't have a clue. AND when Zillow start their new fix and flip program my advice is... stay as far away as you can! They are the worst.

Original review: April 15, 2018

My report on - Zillow shows I had the house up for sale in 2014. It showed I listed the home in the $170,000s. I had the house for sale with Elite in 2008 for $229,000. I had an offer for $200,000 within five days. I did NOT accept the offer. I had it with Elite to get it on MLS. I bought the house for $185,000, and put $40,000 in updates which included a new roof, new energy efficient furnace and water heater. All new window. Insulation in the attic drain tile and new driveway. I would never sell this house in the $170,000's. Where did they pull this information? Zillow cannot be trusted for accurate information.

Zillow.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Zillow was launched by two former Microsoft executives in 2006. It is owned by the Zillow Group and makes a profit by selling ad space on the website and through its partner with U.S. newspapers to provide real estate searches on their websites. Zillow lists all types of real estate available for sale and rent.

• Multiple search areas: Users can search for houses in select neighborhoods or areas simultaneously and exclude all homes listed outside of those areas. Site visitors can circle the area(s) they are interested in on a digital map and then apply filters to homes inside those areas.

• Zillow Digs: Zillow Digs, a portion of Zillow’s website, helps people find design and decoration inspiration. It shows pictures of both interior and exterior spaces and lists prices for materials used as well as an estimate for labor cost.

• Zillow Advice: The Zillow Advice section of the company’s website serves as a forum where individuals can ask and respond to real estate related questions. Users can sort by city or neighborhood to see discussions about problems or trends in their area.

• Sun NumberTM: Those interested in using solar energy will find Zillow’s Sun Number, which is listed on the page for each property. This number tells how well-suited the house is for installing solar panels based on the building type, climate, electricity cost and solar installation cost.

• Zestimate: Each house listed on Zillow has a Zestimate, which estimates the current market value of the house, the amount it could be rented for and whether the value is projected to increase or decrease over the following year.

• Best for: Zillow is best for house hunters, renters, homeowners and real estate agents.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs