Zillow.com

Compare Real Estate Websites

Research top Real Estate Websites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I want to give this warning to real estate agents and loan officers that are being constantly solicited by Zillow to purchase their "leads". I know this after depositing $1500 with them for the "leads". They were running a promotion where they would add an addition $250 after my initial deposit. They would keep the leads at approx $30 per lead, all purchases, and in the counties of my choice. Sounded like a winner. I started receiving leads after my initial deposit. One per day just as they discussed. Most of the leads did not even expect a call afterwards, so expectations were not set properly from the get go. I continued to work these leads for 30 days.

After 30 days I checked my Zillow Lender Hub account only to find out that my average lead cost was almost double what they initially told me and they were giving me leads in different counties and zip codes. So my funds that were supposed to last 60 days, were almost gone. This was concerning to me. The straw that broke the camel's back was a $600,000 refinance lead for a woman that could barely speak English in a city I wasn't targeting. She wasn't expecting somebody to contact her. This lead cost... $91 dollars. More than 3 times the cost initially quoted me. So the cost of the leads was through the roof expensive and they never gave me the $250 bonus per the initial agreement.

I called to speak with a rep and they said, "Oh Yea we forgot about that!" Mentioned the cost per lead, the wrong areas, the refinance, and the $250 and somehow someway they found nothing wrong with any of that and did not a thing to make it right. Told him I was going to "PAUSE" my account and let them make a good decision. Now 7 months later haven't heard a word from Zillow, they still have approx. $600 of my own funds plus the $250 that is owed to me. Moral of the story: Do Not Under any circumstance do business with Zillow/Trulia because they are dishonest with their advertisers and in business. The customer is never right in their eyes. They are sure to lose much more than the amount they are short changing me on with these fraudulent practices. Trulia/Zillow make a bad name for us professionals that are doing the right thing on a regular basis.

I am a builder in the Seattle/East side and have been getting soliciting calls from Zillow to advertise my projects. These calls come from people that don't know construction or this market wasting my time. We have our agents that get paid 10k-24k to get each property sold-why is Zillow calling the builder and pull me away from our work. Get a clue how this industry works.

Zillow is a popular internet real estate company that will place your property on their website using false third party information without the owner's permission. Furthermore, they will refuse to remove it after you contact them. They will attempt to extort homeowners by strong-arming individuals to sell their property for the amounts they see fit sort of like the mob in NYC!!! Zillow will attempt to willow you out of your hard worked money. Stay away from such a corrupted internet business!

Consumer Increased Rating!

I finally got a response that the sale price has been fixed. Not happy that it took months to get it taken care of, but relieved that it is finally corrected.

Danielle of Champaign, IL on

Original Review

I recently bought a house and had it saved under my Zillow favorites. After several months, I noticed the sale price was updated (the price I bought it for) and the price was missing a 0! So instead of the total being $***,000 it posted on Zillow as $**,*00. I reported the listing for wrong sale price THREE times after getting no help. They originally requested I send them my official sale documents for proof of the purchase price. I didn't feel comfortable sending them those documents, so I sent them the public record I found online of the home in my name and the correct sale price. I never got a response after that! I sent follow up messages asking why the price is not being updated and have been ignored.

Is that even legal to publicly post a sale price that is not at all accurate? Especially since I provided proof of this. I am concerned this false sale price will create problems in the future if I ever want to sell the house (ex: people wondering what was wrong with it to be sold previously as one of the cheapest houses in the whole city). I can imagine many people believe Zillow's information is 100% accurate, so this to me is a big problem that is not being solved.

I had a horrible experience with a real estate transaction where the agent was serious negligent and I was left with a big mess, both property and financial. When I reviewed the agent on Zillow, they were very strict about what I could write and kept sending it back for editing. They stated that I needed to stick with the transaction... I was rating the agent AND the transaction. I deleted about half of what I wanted to say and felt any consumer would want to know about before choosing someone to represent them in the purchase of a home.

Finally, they approved my review (which didn't cover most of the experience) and then agent was allowed to respond. She basically stated that none of it was true. They allowed her to do what they would not allow me. I felt it was biased toward the realtor and really unfortunate. This agent was super nice, like a sheep in wolves clothing. She and so many like her are changing our world to be unsafe for consumers. Since the realtor is the paying customer... the consumer beware.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zillow.com?

I handed Zillow over $5500 for leads under contract as a Premier Agent and have NOTHING to show for it. All leads were junk. Half of the leads would not return a phone call or an email message. The other half could not afford to buy a house. Those I actually met were already working with shady lenders or trying to overcome severe limitations that only time and hard work will fix.

Not only is the ZEstimate for nearly all homes consistently incorrect, but it is simultaneously the most common go-to source used by all persons seeking to buy a pre-owned home. And those two simple facts alone are what greatly influence the price which a homeowner can reasonable expect to sell their home for. Most persons who do not own a home yet and are in the buying market, are most likely completely unaware of this fact. And therefore they will very likely take the ZEstimate at face value. Zillow falsely misrepresents home values across America. And it should be a crime. There is no chance that I would ever support, or purchase any service from any entity such as this.

Overall I like Zillow but they have a serious security issue. In the past two weeks, Dec 17 - Dec 29 three (3) houses have popped up on my alert for areas I am interested in relocating to, that were scams. How it works (1)... A house is listed by an agent that is actually for sale. The scammer comes in and claims the house as their own, changes the price to a great deal (sometimes but not always) and then adds their cell number to call or text directly. After a brief exchange the scammer will tell you they are receiving many inquiries as ask for an escrow to be sent to an account. The bank is always legit but the account names are individual names as opposed to title companies.

Once you send the money it is gone. The scammer will withdraw or move the money to a place it cannot be touched while sending you an "escrow receipt" which is completely meaningless. Scam 2 follows all the steps except that the house was never listed by agent, the scammer simply picked a pick of any home on Zillow, claimed it as their own, and then list themselves as the seller.

What to watch out for: If the deal is too good to be true... it is. The seller asks for money right away, offers to send keys, receipts, or something that doesn't sound right. The seller request money to be sent to a personal account. The seller request money to be sent to an account not in their name. The seller uses odd terms, the numbers don't match, or a check of home records is different that the person who claims to be talking to you. The seller uses terms like "accounting officer" "personal assistant" "security deposit", etc. The seller uses common names such as Jones, Brown, Archibald, or if Spanish, Rosario, etc. The seller is focused more on getting the money before inspections or showing the home. Zillow needs to create a security boundary that requires proof before an non-agent can claim a home. Most listings are legit but it only takes a couple to wipe out a person's bank account.

Initial purchase price was correct but square footage included square footage added one year later at an expense of $112,000. Added an upgrade on my home; Zillow dropped the estimate by $5,000. Removed the update and Zillow dropped the value another $2,000. Very disturbing as many people look to Zillow for an good approximation of the value of their property. Zillow presently shows my property at 75% of its market value. Zillow does not provide any contact information that would allow identification of this problem and resolution with a human being.

I hate Zillow. Their data is inaccurate and their customer service department/phone center is a joke. They do not listen to you speak and they continuously get rude and hang up on you on the phone. They have the worst customer service call center I have ever come across. This is the third time I've have a bad experience with them - the first time was a few years ago and now I've had the same issue twice this past week. HORRIBLE!!!

I currently subscribe to Zillow paying substantially extra for their alleged "concierge" service. So far my experience has been a waste of time and a money drain. I cannot even begin to say how extremely dissatisfied I am. I warn all real estate agents who may be thinking about buying into Zillow/Trulia to stay away and use your marketing dollars for just about anything else.

Mister ** gave me a great advice about Real State. He showed me some houses around Tampa FL. 33619. He was knowledge about his job as a realtor. Showed me the pros and con and which area has good School. I can say that he is wonderful and hoping to get a house from him.

I have a house which has 3,277 sq ft. On the same community on the same street, you can say in front of my house which has only 2,672 sq ft. The Zestimate of my neighbor is 719,294 and mine is 650,967. The difference of the sq ft is 605 sq ft. Of course mine is bigger. I also did remodeled my 2 bathrooms. So I decided to file a dispute, then I found out that in order to do that I have to go through the agent. This is what this company is doing. The agent has to pay Zillow the advertisement fee. So if you go through the agent they will fix the price for you. I, myself is a real estate appraiser, so I know what this company is doing. This company is a scam. It's not reliable. If you want to know more just go to Zillow.com and click the dispute button then you will find out what I am talking about.

At first I was getting lots of actual honest leads. Then things started to slow down - lots of fake telephone numbers, lots unanswered calls, disconnected numbers, people who weren't qualified or clueless. Then the leads just slowed down considerably. They said it was due to the fact that there were more realtors signing on in the area and that more exposure required more money. The Trulia part was supposed to give sellers info which was equally dissatisfying. Then quitting took weeks until I finally destroyed my debit card to make sure they would stop debiting the account.

There is a fake online form that makes you think that you have unenrolled, no phone numbers listed for that purpose and no feedback. I filled that out and found out the hard way that you cannot quit them online but the form makes you think you can which is a cheap way of getting that one extra payment. They may have taken over the market but soon enough something else will come along... Until then I will not deal with them again.

My home is on 3 acres a large home with large pool all the amenities and many upgrades, plus a cottage (total about 5000 sq. ft). It is fenced and gated. Zillow has it value at $359,000. Its comps are not compatible to my property. I've tried in many ways to get them to go up and review what they are doing. A recent BPO was at 460,000 and if the upgrades etc. the land, rental cottage were included my home could sell for my mortgage and not have to be short sale. I want to file a class action suit and I am looking for homeowners in my situation who feel the same way.

Computers do not see. They only compute. It's enough that we lost a lot of money when the economy got bad. But my home. By the way I have been paying the mortgage. My husband and I put over 250,000 to remodel property, kept it up. Now at 65 and 75 we loss our home and credit due to a computer program and loss all our investment! Please email me at **. No mortgage companies or lenders please. The house has a contract on it and I cannot refinance.

I have been trying canceled my premier agent since my second month contract. I signed for 6 months and Zillow advise cancellation fee will be 2 advance months. So I kept it. And now after I sent my cancellation requested at the end of the contract. They are keeping charged on my credit card. Zillow NEVER again.

First and foremost I want to know what consumer affairs is doing about all the negative reviews on here? As I was reading some of the reviews. There has been no response from the company? How is Zillow still in business? The completely inaccurate zestimate that they post has caused me several sales on my home! Crap homes with no updates have a higher zestimate than mine and when I emailed the company with a list of homes in the same zip code priced much higher the response was staggering. The zestimate is a guide and we encourage all our clients to get a private estimate on their homes. If it's a guide wtf are you posting it? Why not have an option to get this privately if it's just a guide?

In addition I was told I couldn't remove my home's price history. When I provided examples of other homes that have no history the response was that they were on a different state and that state allowed for privacy? Really? So Zillow can trample all over my privacy because my state allows this? How much is Zillow putting in politicians pockets? They are crap and need to be shut down. They are a disgrace to the real estate industry.

Awful service. Not one lead that turned into a sale. They don't answer their phone. Non qualified leads for buyers in three different zip codes. People playing on the computer all hours of the night. A number of lead received through this service. They say "sorry I hit a wrong button." Or "I'm looking for a family member" and they will love what I purchase for them. I think not. The last time I checked you would have thought you would get a qualified lead. They never gave me an opportunity to be in the zip codes your actually work in your business. The last rep was very unprofessional and I don't think it's an excuse to justify a service that doesn't work at least in the zip codes I have. I have contacted them but you don't hear from them when you want to cancel. If you throw more money at them they are gladly available to you. IF it's a complaint forget it. They don't even seem amiable to make it right after spending over 7k.

I had a Fraudulent Listing Posted online on a Property I Own. The house was posted online for a couple of thousand dollars AND owner finance (payments just $30 a month -- whatever) and my phone rang constantly for two straight days. I had extreme difficulty trying to reach someone via phone. I finally connected by calling their sales department who transferred me to someone extremely rude. He insisted it was somehow my fault for the posting, talked over me, reinterpreted my words, and when I insisted on speaking to a supervisor, he continued to talk over me and yell until he hung up on me.

It really irritated me that not only did he not listen, but would say things like, "Sir, I cannot find what you are looking at and I cannot see your screen." I kept saying, "Send me an email or give me your email address or take down the email address that I can ready to you." Eventually he said that he would email me 15 minutes after we hung up and I could send it then. When I tried to explain that was not acceptable and the supervisor part, he told me I just could not understand him and that it was not his problem. As he continued to talk over me without letting me explain anything at all, he finally hung up on me. Fortunately I was able to send a Fraud Report from the page itself. They removed the entire listing, which was not exactly the intent (there was a valid sale listing and a valid rental listing), but since the Bogus Owner Finance listing was able to be removed, I am ok.

I wasted over an hour of work time in the middle of the day, not to mention the non-stop phone calls and subsequent missed important calls because I was juggling a firestorm. Sorry about the extended rant. Zillow in my experience as a Lead Generator was useless and a massive waste of money anyway. Now, this episode has eroded every last bit of credibility in my eyes. Enough of them ripping off Agents and Consumers. I look forward now to hearing about their bankruptcy in the next year.

I recently signed up with Zillow to begin receiving leads from their website. They stressed that since I had no sales transactions in the last 12 months that it would be very important to get past clients to submit reviews on my profile. They stated it would take about 72 hrs and up to 5 business days to process any reviews submitted. Now, they are telling me it will take up to 10 business days. Meanwhile, I am paying them a fair amount of money and not getting the value I had hoped out of the gate. Classic case of over promising and under delivering.

Mr. Bill ** was awesome! He was a gentleman and a professional throughout the home buying process. He made me feel comfortable right from the start and I was never kept in the dark throughout the process. I have dealt with other realtors before, and the experience I had with Bill was exceptional. He and his team fixed my tax problems and worked with me as if they were working with someone they have known for a long time. I am thankful that I met Bill and I am thankful for all the help that he and his team rendered to me.

I have my own home now, something I have been dreaming about for a long time. My dream has finally come true. I will recommend Bill and his team to anyone who wants to buy a house but cannot find honest and straightforward people to help them through the process. In fact, I cannot say enough how happy I am to get the help that I got from Bill and his team. I thank God for bringing them my way. All glory be to God! I also want to send my thanks to the following people: Tracy **, Victoria **, Mr. **, Monica **, and the rest of the team. Good luck guys!

Zillow is a cesspool of inaccuracies. My house has been my biggest investment and to have this housing resource place an arbitrary price with arbitrary details about my investment is criminal. I own a single family home in a nice area that they have listed as a "studio" with no reference to my 800 sq foot heated shop.

I have not had any reply back from attempts to contact and there seems to be no recourse for their poor and damaging performance. I am interested and will pursue legal assistance as I have now read the many, similar complaints against this awful company.

I decided to take a chance and signed up with a 12 month contract. I signed up, for a great zip code, right before our busiest selling season of the year so I thought that I would at least get one deal out of the selling season but I was wrong. I had been using Realtor.com for a little less than a year and I had great success with them so I decided to give Zillow a try. Zillow charged 3 times more for a zip code than Realtor.com but it is a great zip code, so I thought it was worth a shot.

After 3 months of receiving bad and worthless leads, I notified my Zillow rep, Oliver **, that all my leads were terrible and that I was going to wait until the end of summer to see if I receive any decent leads and if not, I would be cancelling my subscription. I waited the additional 2 months during the middle of summer (which was a busy selling season) and after receiving nothing but poor leads, I emailed my rep telling him to cancel my subscription effective immediately. Instead of cancelling my service, they charged my card for another month's subscription fee.

At that point, I cancelled that debit card and ordered a new one. When the next billing cycle came around, after 2 weeks of trying to charge the same card that I had cancelled, Zillow was successful in charging my same bank account through the very same debit card that had been cancelled the prior month. I spoke with the Zillow billing department and they said that they would cancel my subscription. Also I disputed the last charge through my bank to get my last payment back that was charged to a cancelled card. My bank was not only able to get the money back from Zillow, Zillow charged my same cancelled card again nearly 6 weeks after the card was cancelled. My bank told me that they don't know how Zillow was able to do this as they have never seen this happen before now. So Zillow is somehow able to take money from one's bank account without authorization.

The only way I was able to stop Zillow from taking my money was to close the bank account and move all my money to a different bank. This was a major hassle and a very expensive lesson. For anyone reading this review, don't make the same mistake I made. If you want to try Zillow, don't give them your credit card or debit card number. Get a pre-paid gift card and let them charge that card number so you aren't fighting to keep them from stealing money from your bank account.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Adjustment made and appreciated.

john of Jenkintown, PA on

Original Review

Rather than repeating so many of the very accurate comments already made here let me just say that if Zillow believes that anyone would ever get our home for the price it has picked out of the air... my name is Verrazano and I own a bridge in New York that I would be glad to sell them.

I though this would increase my business, all it did was DECREASE my bank account. I did everything they told me to. I told them it was not working, I got reviews, I changed wording, I did it all... NOT ONE SALE CAME FROM THIS 3 month period. And then they strong arm you for cancelling with 2 months payments to cancel. The clients from this site were very low quality, mostly hangup numbers in the middle of the night, and Zillow said those were good contacts... GOOD GRIEF... Then I found out 10,000 impressions were only 6% of the zip code I bought and you are always competing with 3 other agents. This was a very bad decision on my part, I wish I had not used them. NOT ONE SALE IN 90 DAYS!!! And I am good with leads, over 30 years real estate experience!

I just listed my home and decided to place it on Zillow. 7 years ago, the home was purchased for $350,000, and 2 years later we refinanced and a VA appraiser (who do not give you an extra dime on an appraisal) came up with a price of $440,000. Zillow has my estimate at $340,000! I have written to them 3 times now, with no avail. There is a home for sale in my area that has a Zestimate of $458,000 that is 500 sq.ft. less than mine, has no garage, mine has 3 and it is oversized with 12' ceilings, has no landscaping, mine has landscaping all around the property which is extremely rare on these 2 1/2 acre properties, and we just remodeled the interior. There is RV parking, 3 patios, stonework, block walls, and the property is completely fenced, something the other home doesn't have. It is so frustrating because no one does anything about it and you can't remove it.

An individual who was a client of an agent within our brokerage couldn't find the listing agent's proper profile in Zillow and instead found our Broker's Profile because they searched by company name. The person then left an extremely negative review under the Broker's Profile. When Zillow was confronted with this fact, they made poor excuses and showed absolutely no concern in getting this matter corrected so that the wrong person's business wasn't affected. We're putting measures in place to no longer syndicate our listings to Zillow as they've lost their way and no longer care about doing what's right by all their customers. We couldn't be more disappointed with Zillow and will no longer use that platform while ensuring all our clients avoid it as well.

My house Zestimate is based on homes a quarter of the size and one eighth the property size, lowering the value of my home 75%. Other price points aren't considered at all. Zillow doesn't have any customer support, that is probably because their customers aren't the homeowners.

My home is for sale by owner. Zillow.com has my home listed as not for sale. Thousands of people have looked at my listing. I am mad. Any class actions against them?

Zillow is the worst online company that I ever encountered. The price of the house is totally arbitrary and unreasonably volatile. It can drop $5000-$10000 within a week or two with no reason. No transparency on their so-called algorithm of calculating the house value. I doubt that such algorithm actually exists. The existence of Zillow does great harm to the homeowners. Given that the company has no intent to get things right, a class action lawsuit may be the only option. Both home buyers and sellers should never use the erroneous information provided at the website. It will go out of business before long.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Zillow was launched by two former Microsoft executives in 2006. It is owned by the Zillow Group and makes a profit by selling ad space on the website and through its partner with U.S. newspapers to provide real estate searches on their websites. Zillow lists all types of real estate available for sale and rent.

• Multiple search areas: Users can search for houses in select neighborhoods or areas simultaneously and exclude all homes listed outside of those areas. Site visitors can circle the area(s) they are interested in on a digital map and then apply filters to homes inside those areas.
  • Zillow Digs: Zillow Digs, a portion of Zillow’s website, helps people find design and decoration inspiration. It shows pictures of both interior and exterior spaces and lists prices for materials used as well as an estimate for labor cost.
  • Zillow Advice: The Zillow Advice section of the company’s website serves as a forum where individuals can ask and respond to real estate related questions. Users can sort by city or neighborhood to see discussions about problems or trends in their area.
  • Sun NumberTM: Those interested in using solar energy will find Zillow’s Sun Number, which is listed on the page for each property. This number tells how well-suited the house is for installing solar panels based on the building type, climate, electricity cost and solar installation cost.
  • Zestimate: Each house listed on Zillow has a Zestimate, which estimates the current market value of the house, the amount it could be rented for and whether the value is projected to increase or decrease over the following year.
  • Best for Zillow is best for house hunters, renters, homeowners and real estate agents.

Compare Real Estate Websites