1.34/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Zillow.com

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 1, 2017

302 Zillow.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

If you are looking at ** this house is not for sale. I have sent several letters to Zillow. No response phone calls. What a joke. Please stop sending request to buy my house. I am going to put a large sign out in front of house not for sale!!! I do not know how Zillow received this information!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

Chris ** Grants Pass, Oregon - BEWARE THIS CON ARTIST. BOUGHT OSPREY POINT RV PARK, LAKESIDE, OR. Lied to all current property owners. Raised HOA monthly rates illegally then claims there is no HOA. Claims there is no money in a road maintenance fund which clearly states in recorded HOA documents which many owners have paid into for years. Has several filed and/or pending lawsuits regarding this and more.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I have been an independent broker for 30+ years and not a member of a MLS, Zillow will not let me advertise a listing on their site BUT they will let FOR SALE BY OWNERS list. They are discriminating against the small independent brokers!!! Too bad I can't give zero stars.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

My mom is a real estate agent and signed up for Zillow hoping to increase her client base. They're charging her $700 per month and have not given her a SINGLE sale. I realize the monthly fees vary by region and level of "service" but this is the horrible contract they talked her into signing. They don't filter out potential buyers at all, so my mom ends up spending her time with people that are not serious about buying or are not qualified for a loan. She has tried to cancel several times and each time customer service rudely tells her there's no way out of her contract without paying a large fee. It seems to me that they're taking advantage of a 64 year old woman that simply trusted them to provide her with the service that they advertise on TV. It's not surprising to me that their ratings on Consumer Affairs are mostly negative. I strongly discourage anyone from using Zillow, real estate agents and buyers/sellers alike.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

I listed our property for sale on Zillow which was followed up in a couple days by a customer service rep who verified the listing would be completely free with no strings. All was well for about a month, we had inquiries every few days and at the close of each day I received a daily summary. One day I noticed a realtor's name attached to our listing... a realtor we have not signed with. When someone views our ad and inquires about the property, the realtor is the default "button" to where the inquiry will be sent unless the viewer changes it. Hence, we have stopped receiving inquiries the past two weeks and received no daily summary. I made a call to Zillow's customer service two days ago and left a message to which no return call has been received. I am very upset as we needed the property sold ASAP. We will now be seeking a realtor and NOT the one who has hijacked our ad.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zillow.com?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I had my home listed on Zillow as For Sale By Owner. I was sent an e-mail from them telling to me call them and confirm some info about my home. When I checked my listing a few days later, there was a heading over my listing telling homebuyers to beware of suspicious listings. There is nothing suspicious about my listing but they would not respond back until I threatened legal action as to why this was posted with my listing.

Finally someone sent an e-mail explaining the suspicious listing crap is attached to all homes that are For Sale By Owner. I don't think so because I didn't always see it before. And strangely there were houses selling all around me all of a sudden. That may be another story. But how does Zillow expect anyone to sell a house with that piece of crap attached to their listing. There was nothing dishonest going on with my listing but beware of these people. You may not sell your house if you list it yourself because all you will get is a SUSPICIOUS LISTING post from Zillow which helps out the competition in your area. I don't want to give a star, maybe a "?".

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

All the information they have about my house is wrong which is very misleading for a prospective buyer. A lot of people rely on Zillow's wrong information. But there is no way for homeowners to opt out of and take their house out of their website. This giant corporation are winning all the lawsuits against them and small people like me are hopeless and can not do anything about it.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

After a recent software "upgrade" the estimates generated by the Zillow algorithm have become more ridiculous than ever before. All attempts to get Zillow to 1) recognize and acknowledge the problem, and 2) to correct the details they provide have fallen on deaf ears. This site is unreliable, misleading, and cares not about the information they are presenting as useful. Zero rating across the board.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

With the way real estate is changing today, it is nice to have a website like Zillow in order to be able to research properties that one might want to visit. It allows one to do comparison shopping in certain areas and zip codes in order to settle on different things that one actually wants to see in order not to waste time.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

We purchased a home 3 months ago for $189,000 which Zillow had zestimate of $190,000. Zestimate has dropped drastically down to $112,000 in less than 3 months. I have contacted Zillow and they said it's a new algorithm that has made changes. Other home around me has not changed. There is a home showing on map at $78,000 which is not in this neighborhood. The address listed on home is nowhere near here. It's is located in wrong place on map. I'm sure this has driven my zestimate down. I have reported it and so has a friend. Still not corrected. My house is marked in heart on map in attachment. See the $78k home inaccurately shown on my street? I am very upset. My home is showing at half the zestimate of all my neighbors homes. Very angry!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Zillow.com's information is usually outdated by at least 30 days & does not reach the correct buyers properly. They do not respond to questions and a phone number is not available.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

I am a home owner and a real estate professional. I listed one of my own properties on the MLS and allowed for the listing to be syndicated to Zillow. After several weeks, the listing wasn't getting a ton of attention, so I decided to list it for rent again. I wanted to keep it up for sale till I had a signed lease in case a buyer came along in the meantime. It is completely legal to have a listing up for sale and rent at the same time, but Zillow apparently does not allow this. So when I tried to list my place for rent on Zillow, it was declined and wouldn't post, saying that it was already listed on Zillow for sale. So wanting to honor their protocol, I stopped the syndication from the MLS system to Zillow, which should have pulled my property from the "for Sale" category on Zillow. Once it's not for sale on Zillow, it should be allow me to list it for rent.

Nearly a week later and Zillow hasn't updated the property listing status. Furthermore, even though I claimed the listing as my own, I am unable to edit it at all in Zillow because it keeps telling me that all the info for that listing if automatically fed by the info in the MLS. This is obviously not accurate since I stopped that feed 4 days ago. I've made countless attempts to contact their joke of a customer service number. I've left numerous voice mails. I've also sent numerous emails to their "help center" regarding this issue, only to have gotten NO response. I don't know how a company this huge can function without any customer service. I can honestly say that I've never dealt with this level of industry carelessness, apathy, and just flat out poor business practices. If I could give them zero stars, I would.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

Zillow is a piece of crap. For several years my home value was above $265,000 - recently near $300,000 which is approximately the mid range value of my home. All of a sudden the valuation changed to $206,000, and the value history was somehow adjusted to be total BS. I've given Zillow 48 hours to correct. If they do not, I will rewrite my home description until I get the valuation deserved, and file a complaint with the NYS Attorney General. These ** better get their act together OR I will file a law suit for detrimentally valuing my home and precluding sale because of this negative press.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

Zillow is not a reputable company in regard to your property value! One day your home is worth, 698,000 and the next day real estate value dropped price 50%! Erased previous value stated. Then taxes should decrease 50% too! Tried calling to no avail! This is a fraudulent company! The person in Chicago is suing Zillow and there are going to be many others to follow suit! Recently, when filling out facts, I listed my email address. Contacted within five minutes of submitting email by one of your Zillow affiliated realtors "do you want to list your home?" We stated, "not at this time," politely... it is not for sale! Due to saying no, the realtor decreased our value online 50% off. Before the phone call listed $698,000 and the thereafter $343,000! Fraudulent at its finest~Zillow! Lawsuits galore future!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

I am here to complain as a homeowner of the unfair practices of Zillow in determining their “Estimates” in regards to the value of a house. I have complained to them several times about their unfair practices but now I find there is a home in my town that is same size and bedrooms, but not the amenities we have (HVAC air/heat, finished basement) and yet they calculate their “Estimate” to be over $55,000 more than my house. This is nothing more than a sham site and they should not be allowed to hurt homeowners in this fashion.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

Zillow blatantly lies about the historical "Zestimates" for our home. I regularly monitor my home's Zestimate, not because I'm interested in selling it--but because I want to know what my home is potentially worth. I checked today for the first time in perhaps a month and noticed it was $130,000. It seems to be creeping lower and lower. At point last year, it was Zestimated at $175,000. But I noticed that Zillow claimed my value was increasing by $10,000 over last month. Certainly not.

I looked at the chart that shows the Zestimates over the last 10 years or so. It was completely inaccurate. It claimed that in April 2013, my house was at a low of $45,000. I've lived here since January 2013 and it was *never* $46,000. Nor would my house have *ever* sold for less than $100,000 on the market. It also did not show the period last year where my Zestimate was over $150,000 for 7 months. That was erased to show a value of $100K-$110K over the same period instead.

Instead, it painted a rosy picture of a house increasing in value with the graph lines slowly going up. What a crock. I remember I emailed them a few years ago when they pulled this stunt before (I had never been under $100K at that point and suddenly I had a period that occurred 6 months in the past where I was only worth $70K) and they said I must have been mistaken. I must have looked at someone else's house. I'm not mistaken. Now you can't even contact them--there's no customer service e-mail address on their site and their Facebook page does not allow messaging.

Stop making my house look like a dump on your website by changing old numbers. We put $40,000 in renovations and significant upgrades into it in 2015 that is part of public records because we needed town permission and we had to pull permits--information that Zillow supposedly uses and has available to make these informed decisions of value.

I don't really care about the value, per se, but if Zillow is going to claim this as a tool--use it responsibly, don't lie and craft figures that are part of the "history" and change that "history" as you see fit. Once a month closes, you can't go back and change the numbers. That is dishonest and makes you completely unfit to do what you claim to do. I wonder how this affects other people who are selling their homes who have *never* checked their Zestimate?

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I am the owner/agent of a listing in Houston, Zillow is showing the listing as a foreclosure when it is NOT. They also give a foreclosure estimate that has nothing to do with reality. I have written 6 times to complain and the Houston Association of Realtors has written 2 times with no action on their part, all I get is an automated response saying they will look into it. This gives the consumer fraudulent information regarding this listing. They will not call me to explain their point of view and you can't call them. I would recommend to consumers not to rely on their listings.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

This is it in a nutshell! Our complaints about Zillow: Our home continues to depreciate on your website. It is now showing as having depreciated by $160,000. What do you mean when you say you have no control over these Zestimates, that they're based on some type of algorithm that no one understands. Isn't this your company? Why have a value associated with a property if it is totally inaccurate? What a scam.

Every end unit, waterfront property in our complex is now rated as more valuable than ours, by as much as $100,00, even with the enhancements and upgrades we've made. We also find it rather suspicious that when the KW (Keller Williams) ad was placed on our site, that this issue began. Remove that now. You have no right to falsely post this inaccurate information. The video you shared is useless. Please take this complaint to the next level within your management. Have a supervisor call us immediately.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

No home values for most houses in Canton MA 02021. They cannot fix this since June 2017 (now is August). There are only prices assessed in 2014! Emailed to Zillow - no answer. Horrible customer service - no phone connection.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

I have been tracking the value of my summer home on Zillow for 3 years. I regularly download the current valuation and put it into my financial planning spreadsheet. In the last month, after the valuation growing to $175K, it dropped to $120K. Worse, Zillow value history now claims the property value never got above $120K. If I use Zillow's "check your comparables" feature, using the comparable properties Zillow recommends, it computes a value of $207K. WTF? I use to love Zillow, now I'm getting scared to use it.

Original review: July 30, 2017

I am a Realtor/Broker. Zillow should be taken down. The misinformation on this site is widespread. I highly advise the public to use another site. I could write a book on how many times I have to explain to customers why the information on Zillow is false and misleading. I have a listing that is posted on our local MLS where Zillow picks up information for their web site. My listing is renting for $900.00 per month and they have it posted on their web site at $375.00. Can you imagine the calls I'm getting. I sent them 3 emails to their customer service that handles this area without any response except for a standard computerized reply.

Original review: July 29, 2017

Zillow.com has all the listings which makes it easy to look and check out listings. If interested, you click the button and they say an agent will contact you. Twice now, someone from Zillow calls me at 7 AM - my phone number is MST number - anyone should be able to look up an area code and know - hey... don't call people at 7 am to try... not actually connect but to TRY to connect them to an agent. Zillow - do your homework! Ohhh not done... Miraculously - both times the agent they tried to connect me to "stepped away from their desk!" ARE YOU KIDDING ME? YOU WOKE ME UP AND NOW YOU CAN'T COMPLETE THE TASK YOU SET OUT TO DO BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT PREPARED? Oh yes - there is more!

Your silly phone person then says "ok, the agent (named) will call you back between such and such time." Fine. I am already awake now. So I will wait for a call back from the guy who disappeared from his desk - just now! Said time comes... and goes... and in the meantime I have gotten 2 text messages from ZILLOW and one email reminding me... me... you are reminding me, of an appointment that was agreed on by both parties. GUESS WHO DIDN'T GET A PHONE CALL FROM EITHER AGENT. ME! The one you woke up, the one you incessantly are texting and emailing me to remind me I have an upcoming call.

After I text you back - ALEX ** - and tell you stop texting me and don't bother me again - you send me 3 more text messages. REALLY - and you stated "we didn't realize you were in another timezone." What? Err on the side of caution folks - if you see a different area code... don't call it. And its not that hard to put up an area code map in your little cubicle. Zillow I hope your agents realize how poor your service is. You are ill prepared and when a person says no more contact... pretty sure it means "Don't call me again". I will not be clicking to contact your agents from your website - Your service is lousy and DO NOT WAKE ME UP AGAIN ON A SATURDAY MORNING!

Original review: July 28, 2017

Everyone takes a Zestimate into account when purchasing a home, everyone no matter what they tell you. I watch the market for over a year, planning to sell my house. The week before I plan on listing, Zillow takes their zestimate on my home and drops it 15%, making the value change so much that I am no longer to sell. In reality, local home sales have smaller, worse condition homes selling for higher amounts than the original zestimate. I contact them to let them know this and their response is, "It's our algorithm and we won't change the zestimate because it's correct." Well, it's way off, and potential buyers will change their perspective. This hurts many individuals who are selling and buying homes when their algorithm is incorrect. Who can do something about this business practice that hurts sellers mostly because buyers truly do use the zestimate in making offers.

Original review: July 24, 2017

I am a realtor and my listing is incorrectly listed as a foreclosure. It is in the MLS properly (foreclosure = no), but in Zillow for some reason it's saying it's a foreclosure. Despite repeated attempts (multiple emails per day for 4 days now) to: care@zillow.com, contentflags@zillow.com, mlssupport@zillow.com, no progress has been made.

I've followed the instructions online for both (a) reporting an incorrect foreclosure (black flag) and (b) report incorrect information on a listing. As a temporary solution, I added to the comments on the listing itself (in MLS) something to the effect of, "this is not a foreclosure, the information in Zillow is incorrect", but this is not feeding over to Zillow as it should. I have not received one email back from Zillow. We've now lost VALUABLE days on market and nearly 400 views online with incorrect information. This will cost thousands of dollars in the sale of the home.

Original review: July 22, 2017

My home has been listed on Zillow for 31 Days, In that time, I fired one realtor and hired another. The Zillow Zestimate, on 6/28/17 was 187.7K. After the realtor change, it dropped from 187.7K to 110K, 15 days later. In the past week, it went up to 111K, then, yesterday, down to 108K. The explanation I get from Zillow Group Staff, by email, is that they have been making "adjustments" to their algorithm, and over the next weeks, it will "correct" itself.

Time is money. Zillow Group CEO, in a 2016 interview, claimed Zestimates can be changed "in minutes." As I see from postings on this site, others in the same time interval are having problems similar to my own, but are being stonewalled by Zillow Group. To those, I say: File a consumer complaint with the Washington State AG's office and also with the AG's office in your own state. Homes are a major asset and Zillow Group, a Washington State, is creating financial harm and damage to the value of people's largest asset, but are either too arrogant or lazy to fix the problem. It is time to show this arrogant, money-bloated corporation that consumers WILL NOT sit back and watch their major asset devalued by false and inaccurate "estimates" while Zillow Group fiddles with its algorithm, which, for all we know, has been hacked and damaged, to our detriment.

Original review: July 21, 2017

Our Zestimate went from $614,323 on 6/20/17 to $553,534 on 7/19/17. I contacted someone at Zillow yesterday and he promised to get back with me within 24 hours. No news from him. I want to know how they can reduce a house $61,000 in one month while my neighbor's shot up $12,000 in the same month. We just updated our house which I wrote up when I edited the home facts on Zillow. Instead of going up, the price went down! I request to restore it back to the $614,323. I am happy to find out that currently there are 2 lawsuits pending against their Zestimates.

Original review: July 21, 2017

My house "dropped" in value by 50K overnight. Amazingly at the same time I did not list with one of their agents. I told them I was selling it; yet, they refuse to list it for sell... Why? Because I will not list with one of their agents? You cannot get a hold of them. Very one-sided.

Original review: July 20, 2017

In the process of refinancing. I subscribe by email to monthly Zillow property valuation updates. Between June and July my property value dropped by $28k according to July Zillow report but the same report said the price increased by $7,800 from June report. Sent an email to customer service asking for correction. Their reply was that they changed the valuation "algorithm" to provide more accurate pricing and they never make corrections. Unsubscribed to email alerts and eliminated Zillow app from my phone. Based on my experience, I would never list my home with Zillow or use them for new house search. Now to convince mortgage lenders not to use Zillow for preliminary valuation purposes.

Original review: July 18, 2017

They say don't look a gift horse in the mouth, and I am not. I am grateful that I was able to use Zillow for various reasons, but note that the information acquired to prepare a zestimate on your property IS NONE. They use an Argo rhythm and I am not sure of that either. My house went from a zestimate of $371,000 to $389,00 to $311,000 the very next day. I have contacted them via email some 7 or 8 times and I get no response. I have called their corporate office and no response for individual home owners that have their property on FOR SALE BY OWNER. My pictures went from 38 to 6 and when I try to reload them it gives me a SYSTEM ERROR. I don't know what is going on with Zillow, but they were at one time really good about responding to emails. I think there is something going on internally or they have just given up. Bottom line, use to view pics, but other than that do your own research and don't rely on the information they provide.

Original review: July 14, 2017

Zillow is publicly traded on Nasdaq with a Market Cap of $8.5 Billion dollars. Last year I used Zillow.com to list one of my FSBO properties. Their site was clunky but it worked. This year I have been trying for two (2) weeks to list another property. Zillow.com is totally nonfunctional! Called tech support in Washington state, no success. Multiple emails to tech support, no success. Zillow has been incurring massive quarterly losses while some insider traders (Zillow execs) steadily cash out their stock, mostly obtained by options and warrants. I am looking forward to the day the shareholders wake up and smell the coffee. Till then it is probably best to avoid the frustration of the Zillow experience.

Zillow.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Zillow was launched by two former Microsoft executives in 2006. It is owned by the Zillow Group and makes a profit by selling ad space on the website and through its partner with U.S. newspapers to provide real estate searches on their websites. Zillow lists all types of real estate available for sale and rent.

• Multiple search areas: Users can search for houses in select neighborhoods or areas simultaneously and exclude all homes listed outside of those areas. Site visitors can circle the area(s) they are interested in on a digital map and then apply filters to homes inside those areas.
    • Zillow Digs: Zillow Digs, a portion of Zillow’s website, helps people find design and decoration inspiration. It shows pictures of both interior and exterior spaces and lists prices for materials used as well as an estimate for labor cost.
    • Zillow Advice: The Zillow Advice section of the company’s website serves as a forum where individuals can ask and respond to real estate related questions. Users can sort by city or neighborhood to see discussions about problems or trends in their area.
    • Sun NumberTM: Those interested in using solar energy will find Zillow’s Sun Number, which is listed on the page for each property. This number tells how well-suited the house is for installing solar panels based on the building type, climate, electricity cost and solar installation cost.
    • Zestimate: Each house listed on Zillow has a Zestimate, which estimates the current market value of the house, the amount it could be rented for and whether the value is projected to increase or decrease over the following year.
    • Best for: Zillow is best for house hunters, renters, homeowners and real estate agents.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs