Zillow.com

Compare Real Estate Websites

Research top Real Estate Websites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

If Zillow is going to show a Zestimate for a home they ought to have good data. They don't in our 27932 area. Things missing like recent sold properties, tax data, comparable listings. Also data for many homes missing, like date sold and price it sold for. There are homes in my neighborhood that are not even in their database. I asked many times to be dropped from their database. It makes me so angry that they can get away with posting trash. If this finds its way to Zillow find a way for me to get off their database. I just had my house appraised and the value is $40,000 more than Zillow's so called Zestimate.

This has been an ongoing issue and Zillow tried to fix it once but, technically it wasn't fixed because it failed again. I am the homeowner, have put my house up for sale. The agent updated RMLS and it feed into my site on Zillow. After a couple of weeks we decided to update the description and lower the price - change a few pictures around. All that was updated was the price of the house. When I went into the homeowners area of Zillow you can plainly see where the feed from the real estate agents company was updating and the areas I as an owner could update. I could not update DESCRIPTION but could update WHAT I LOVE ABOUT THIS HOUSE. So I did. Then, the public view page showed me as the real estate agent and that was changed but since I have logged back in again, it has changed me back to the real estate agent.

Phone calls - no answer. Emails - automatic responses they are working on it. The description and pictures have been updated twice and the ones on Zillow are the original posting. I give up. I just put on the area I could update for consumers to go to Redfin.com or Movoto.com for updated information on the house. Zillow really needs to slow down and get their website pulled together. I see they are doing a contest for $1M for someone who can update their Zestimates which are way off by the way. Zillow as far as I am concerned is an epic fail and consumers who are not selling their homes, just buying have no idea the issues. Homeowners are finding out their homes are for sale and they are not. Bad business practices by Zillow. I wish I could get my house off of their website.

I had my home listed on Zillow.com by my agent a couple of years ago. It was showing a Zestimate of over $900,000. The home's worth was around $750,000 at that time. It is a custom home, in one of the best neighborhoods. All the homes were around $210 to $240 per square foot. I took it off the market for a while. We relisted it just a week ago at $765,000 ($203 Sq. Ft.). The values in California are rising from 3% to 6%. My area is rising each month. The homes within 1/4 mile of my home sell for $212 to $253 per square foot. Again, it was showing a Zestimate of around $933,000 for my 3,757 sq. ft. custom home. I agree their estimate is way too high. The house up the street from mine, built the same year, also custom is a little larger and just went pending at $847,000. Having my home listed at $203 per square foot, is below the market value, but I wanted a faster sale. It is in perfect condition with a pool, on almost .23 of an acre.

While checking the listing, I found that Zillow had just dropped the value by $193,000. Yes, almost $200,000 in a week. I am a retired woman in my late 60's, selling my home will mean I will have some retirement. So now, my home is the only one in the development that has a Zestimate of $40,000 less than my asking price. I looked at the Zestimate of every home within 1/4 mile of mine and all have risen in the last month, and all show a Zillow value that is anywhere from $25,000 to $90,000 more than their asking price. I am beyond stunned and angry. I also have been crying over this. I have emailed Zillow over and over asking WHY my home's value dropped $193,000 in a few days. They do not provide any phone numbers and will not answer our emails.

This is like living in a country that is run by a dictatorship. They make the rules (which are false) and you can't do anything to change them. Their insane drop in value on my home will now cause me to not be able to sell it for the true value. Or sell it at all with is losing over $190,000 in value per Zillow's algorithms. Sadly, buyers tend to use and go by Zillow's estimates. This has to stop... WHO WOULD LIKE TO JOIN IN A LAWSUIT IN CALIFORNIA TO SUE ZILLOW OVER THEIR FRAUDULENT ZESTIMATES?

Zillow is a joke! Considering selling my home, started checking home values over 30 day period homes in my gated community have been rising dramatically. One day they REDUCED my estimated by over 55k, 2 weeks later another 32k for 87k in 30 days. They have smaller less desirable location homes in my development estimated at over 50k more than my home. When I tried to get some kind of explanation, no customer service, nothing just voice recording or auto hang up. This business should be shut down for public internet false misleading information.

My property is for sale and is listed on Zillow. Zillow's Zestimate is ONE-THIRD of my property's tax assessed value, and is ONE-HALF of the zestimate of 2 other properties for sale in my area that both have much lower tax assessed values. My property's "Rent Zestimate" is ONE -TENTH of what I regularly rent out my property for. The "algorithm" that they manufactured to determine these zestimates is faulty, useless, incorrect and hurts the consumer. They should be required by law to correct misinformation on their website or remove my listing from their website as requested. I did not hire Zillow as an appraiser or an agent and did not authorize them to publish a value on my property. They should be required by law to remove the Zestimate completely and immediately from their website since they are not a licensed appraiser. This website hurts the seller and misleads the buyer. Unacceptable.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zillow.com?

Zillow is undervaluing our house. I logged into my Zillow account to update the information. I increased the lot size, added a refrigerator, garbage disposal, dishwasher and microwave. Within minutes Zillow decreased the value of our home by $5,000. Homes in our area have been increasing for years due to a shortage of properties. The house across the street recently sold for $750,0000, yet Zillow continues to undervalue our property.

Isn't there something illegal with leaving my listing up on their site but then also stating it is "off the market," when it is not? They have every right to remove my listing for whatever reason they may have. But they don't have the right to impair my income potential by telling thousands of buyers that my house is off the market.

I have tried to list my property for sale with Zillow for two weeks and it is still not listed. I have tried to call and leave messages with no response. I have tried to email and on one occasion their response was that they were having computer problems. I tried listing it again to no avail. They are the worst customer service I've ever seen and almost no way to contact them. Do not waste your time with Zillow! I also noticed that their housing estimates are way undervalued and wrong. I guess they don't have any way to update their info either. They are a completely inept company.

This company has called me to tell me I had to list my property for sale with an agent of their choice in order to get a fair value, which stands at 30% of its value on their page. Blackmail me to list my property with their agent to adjust estimate. He should go to JAIL.

This was obviously an error for over a month now, but I want to know what recourse I have when an advertised price by Zillow is not accepted by the consumer and my reputation as a REALTOR goes down the tubes cause of it? False advertising should have its consequences. I listed a property on NJ GSMLS for my client for $135,000. My understanding is now Zillow gets the feed automatically from MLS but it shows property for sale at $47,500 and we can't even change it as a owner or agent. Now I have a pissed off owner and a bunch of callers for over a month on this totally renovated property that even at $135,000 is under priced. I complain via their site over 30 times and no return email or phone call back was ever given. Zillow and Trulia sucks. I want to sue them.

TERRIBLE! They said that it takes 3 days max to list your house as active, now going on 5 days, and nothing. And no help, no customer service, no chat service, no real people behind this empty site which got large just on advertising, not substance. Hope someone comes up with a better service!

While cruising through Zillow my neighbor found our house up on Zillow. It has never been up for sale during Zillows time. 7 people even have it saved to their likes. I contacted them and she took it down for sale. However it is still on the listed items. It shows up with all information on it. I do not want Zillow to have any information of ours on it and I don't know why they feel it necessary to be in my personal business. I feel violated and annoyed. Upon looking we also have 3 others homes listed that are family members that are not listed for sale either. Not happy with these people. The realtor contact number doesn't work either.

Sure, it made me feel great when they valued my bungalow in metro Detroit at a quarter million dollars. That price was commensurate with what was happening in the Detroit area after the Republican Great Recession of 2008. Because let's be honest, more and more people are making entertainment websites like Zillow and Trulia their starting point for a home search or sell transaction. But I've grown to think we do that stupidly so and to our own peril. Those websites don't know anymore subjective about our communities than does Ancestry.com know a thing about my family tree, unless I register and then hand that information over to them so they can profit by selling it to someone else.

That VERY DAY I got my first offer, and it became clear to Zillow's staff they were not going to be a part of my sale transaction, their "Zestimate" plummeted from $202,000 to $60,000 - which of course would be fiscally impossible unless the country was attacked by terrorists or 5 major banks went bankrupt. Websites claiming real estate value authority without sending out a single appraiser should be made illegal. And homeowners and shoppers should understand how manipulative these crooks are willing to be to cover their own **.

I submitted a FSBO on Zillow and they will NOT post. Continue to get we are reviewing status. This website should be SHUT DOWN!!! The Zestimate is so out of wack for a whole house remodel. It's CRAZY and WRONG!

Zillow has zero customer service. Good luck ever creating a listing. I listed a condo FSBO, was given no guidance that they were going to call within 5 days to verify it, so for days had no idea why my listing wasn't posted, and then needed to edit it once it was posted, only to be completely locked out and told it was listed by an agent. Which it NEVER was, I was the only one ever involved. I tried for DAYS and WEEKS to contact them, and I NEVER got a reply. I am held hostage to their site and can make no edits, updates or delete my own listing. It has been a nightmare. BEWARE if you use this site. You will never be able to contact anyone, get any help, or access your own account. There should be a disclaimer on this site telling you you are on your own. I HATE ZILLOW and will tell everyone I know. NEVER USE THIS SITE if you don't want to waste hours of time to get NOTHING accomplished.

I have had 2 experiences with Zillow, both terrible. First, I contacted one of their agents to show me a home I was purchasing for my mother. The agent was unprofessional in every regard. I changed agents and bought another house. My friends and acquaintances told me after the fact that they knew of Zillow's horrible reputation and to steer clear of them.

Second, Zillow routinely and arbitrarily lowers the value of our home value relative to our neighborhood for no discernible reason. We recently completed a full renovation of our kitchen and updated our Zillow profile since it showed 0 bedrooms. We fixed that and our home value dropped... $50,000! We set the bedrooms back to 0 and it raised $25,000 but still $25,000 below every home in our neighborhood. Zillow is the most unreliable source of property value information on the internet and gives good real estate agents a bad reputation. Note to agents....many won't use you if you are tied to Zillow.

RUN far away if thinking of using Zillow leads. I know some many realtors who have been taken by this outfit. They locked me into a 6 mos. contract at $1100 per month. Promised buyer and seller leads. Got 0 seller leads. Now here's how they get you on the promised amount of leads. Numerous leads sent to me were duplicates AND I only got leads that were in the $120K range - The average home sale on Marco Island is over $500K. I had NUMEROUS inquiries from other realtors as well. I had Numerous "Phishing" contacts who just wanted my info. Please email me info on suing Zillow.

Zillow has the worst customer service I have ever experienced in my life. They will never get back to you. If you need help all they want is your money. I'm beyond amazed how they do well for a real estate service. Quit looking for homes on Zillow. HomeLight is the best website to use for a real estate service.

I am a real estate sales associate, I have a legal 2 family listing and Zillow advertised it as 1 family house. I wrote to them several times regarding the issue and no one got back to me. This is a major issue since I (the listing agent) did not have access to fix my own listing. I can not believe that they put 1 family instead of 2. Zillow was good before, now getting worse day by day. Zillow needs to be banned.

Zillow will not publish any realtor review that is not favorable. Every review shown is a 5-star glowing recommendation of the realtor. Negative reviews are not shown. Do not trust their information!!

I put a for sale by owner on Zillow asking $214,500. The house was professionally appraised at $212,000 a month ago. Under my list price when someone clicks on the house they have their "Zestimate" at $178,000 which is ridiculous and it's running off potential buyers. I had way over a hundred clicks on the picture then no contacts after they see the "Zestimate". The House next door is 200 square feet smaller and of the same quality and condition and sold for $193,000 several months ago. The adjustment for the additional at $115 a square foot would add $23,000 to the price making the value of my listing $216,000. I called Zillow about this and they said they would not change or remove the Zestimate and hung up on me.

I looked up several other sale by owners in the same area and they all had Zestimates way under the asking price. I looked up realtor listings in the same area and the Zestimates were close to the asking on the ones that had a Zestimate but most of them did not have one on their listing. Why does Zillow let the realtors have a choice but not the sale by owners? Because they are pandering to realtors who they make money off of and undermining sale by owners by offering them a free listing and then sabotaging it. I think a class action suit against Zillow is in order and they need to stopped from engaging in unfair, deceptive and damaging business practices.

Our house value zestimate dropped by 30% in one day without any explanation or willingness to address or help resolve the issue. We were told that Zillow uses an algorithm to determine the zestimate but were not told what changed to cause the clearly and obviously erroneous drop in the zestimate. It is very obvious this is an error or a purposeful act by Zillow. This drop occurred the day we listed the home for sale by owner.

As Zillow generates its revenue by selling leads to agents it is very suspicious that our home value dropped by 30% at the same time it was listed by owner. Additionally, we now have a banner on our ad warning prospective buys to avoid scams. No home listed by an agent has this banner. Clearly these are unfair/fraudulent and unprofessional practices (misrepresentations) which purposefully deter buys from homes listed for sale by owners.

Again, we provided supporting evidence of our homes value in the form of market valuation assessments from agents which we were directed to on the Zillow site when trying to address the issue as well as the county property value assessment. Which confirms the homes value and Zillow still refused to accept the information or address the issue. We simply ask that the one day 30% drop in our homes value be corrected or explained and that the banner suggesting there may be suspicious be removed. I'm willing to pursue a class action lawsuit.

My home, located in the small town of Humboldt, Iowa, has been listed for sale since February 20. Around the end of March, I looked at my house on Zillow.com and noticed that the price history was incorrect. They have it listed on 3/15 as a rental property with a rent of $148,000/mo. It has never been a rental and the $148,000 is the asking price for my house. Then on 3/17, they have the listing as removed! Before moving to Humboldt 3-1/2 years ago, I actually saw the house I am currently trying to sell listed on Zillow and it was a motivating factor for my move. So I know that people from other areas check out this site to get an idea of the housing market in the area to which they're trying to relocate (I moved to Iowa from North Dakota). Being a smaller town, the market is smaller and needs to count on such sites as Zillow to generate sales.

I showed this to my realtor who informed me that Zillow pulls their information from the MLS site. They didn't pull THIS information from the MLS site! She has sent them a couple e-mails; I have sent three e-mails - all with no response or correction from Zillow. So, basically, I am dead in the water as far as national and probably local advertising - at least with Zillow. I have chosen to look at Zillow's offerings over other sites due to their 4.7 rating and I'm sure others take that into consideration also. I have a beautiful home (not just my opinion) that has had no lookers or offers for 6 weeks now. Funny how that coincides with the date of the incorrect information posted by Zillow.

I urgently need to move and have already lost one house in the area to which I'll be moving, due to the inability to sell my house. It is priced according to market values in our area. Also curious where Zillow comes up with their z-estimates - they are a joke! Their inattention to detail and phony property values have definitely damaged my ability to sell my home and created much frustration and anger on my part. Class action? Put me down!!

Zillow does not provide leads as agreed. They have no way of being contacted and have basically diminished themselves to a scam company that pays executives tremendous salaries. The "Zestimates" are seldom accurate and sometimes differ hundreds of percent from the actual value. In fact, they don't care about the actual estimates and have absolutely no way of being contacted because they want to hide from the many complaints that they would receive. Competition is on their heels and they will not be in business long as a result. They bought out Trulia but they can't buy every new entry into this arena. I believe their days are numbered and cannot go out of business too soon in my opinion. They do more harm than good in the real estate industry. It's time for them to go.

Attempted to leave a review on their site in regard to my experience with one of their mortgage brokers & they refused to post it because I wrote in it that people should be aware of PhoneOps Funding, LLC because they are posting fake property listings in the south Brevard area of Florida. Not misleading ads, out & out fake ads.

I also included in my review that I called & spoke to someone in regard to the property. The person was extremely adamant about getting my personal info including social. I asked her why this information is needed to describe the property to me. She stated that she wasn't the property owner, she was just a mortgage broker who was going to send a 'packet' out to me. I told her that I didn't want to apply for a mortgage, I just want some info on the property. She then told me that she couldn't tell me about the property because it's not hers, she's not a realtor but if I give her all of my info she can send me my packet & connect me with someone can tell me about the property. I told her that I just want some info or possibly set up an appointment to see the property. She told me that she can't connect me until I give her my info with my social & that she cannot show me the property because she's in Philadelphia.

I told her that the ad is posted locally & it indicates that the home is in a Mobile Home Park. The ad also indicated that the phone number that I was calling was a MHP. It wasn't. She said that she was in Philadelphia & the number was for PhoneOps Mortgage. That's a 1/2 truth. The number is for PhoneOps, but they're located in Cocoa, FL. The woman on the other end of the line was talking to me from a house located in the middle of the Cocoa Housing Authority properties. So beware, PhoneOps is a fraud. Zillow is a fraud.

As a broker associate, I had a 6 month trial account with Zillow. Their sales representative assured me that I would be given the help I needed in making a quality profile. When the follow up was slow and little more than more hype, I informed them that I was less than satisfied. When my contract ended, I informed them that I was not going to renew. The monthly charge of almost $200 didn't show up on my credit card and I thought that was it. But after skipping one month the charge show up again and each month thereafter. I spoke with them several times and I was told that they were going to refund me the amount and make the correction. Of course this all took several phone calls and the leaving of messages waiting for someone to contact me back.

Finally after many false promises and being told that they were going to take care of the situation, I now have filed a dispute with my credit card company. I filed the dispute, because Zillow told me 6 months ago and 3 months ago that they agreed with me and that they would rectify the account, but it would take them a month to get me my money back. This has not happened. All they did was skip a month of charging my credit card and then they began to charge it again. I called and left messages and they didn't return my calls. My contacts are by phone since they were not willing to do things by email. Zillow has taken about $1000 from me without authorization. Be aware that they will give verbal lip service, but they will not follow up or put it in writing.

Zillow has arbitrarily reduced the Zestimate on my home by more than 10 percent in the last 60 days. They have not given a reason for it and have adjusted the estimate timeline to show it below the highest Zestimate given which is fraudulent. I live in a very hot neighborhood where houses are selling at an extraordinary increase in price from six months ago. There is no reason for the drop and they won't respond to why they reduced the Zestimate. I think they have done so because I was looking at real estate agents and exhibiting "selling behavior" which was picked up by their algorithm and arbitrarily reduced - or they are acting in collusion with real estate agents and/or their buyers. I would like to know if there is an attorney interested in forming a class to bring a lawsuit regarding their fraudulent activity and arbitrary price fixing. If you have had a similar experience or if you're interested in joining such a class, please post here.

As a realtor, I can tell you right now that Zillow is using the realtor's ways of making a living to get rich. They integrated onto the MLS feed now, meaning that if an agent list a home that more than likely that realtor is the one who will get the leads. You know what it means also? Us, as realtors, we have to try hard to sell for sale by owners. We are paying Zillow to have more for sale by owners. This is why you can't leave a review on for sale by owners. Have you ever thought about that? Speaking of reviews, did you know that you can just create an account today and give a realtor a bad review even if you never contacted that realtor? Easy to destroy another realtor's reputation. I don't know if they still do that though. But you can try it.

Also, about the ZIP codes? Total ripoff. I buy these ZIP codes that they say have 100 something listings. Make sure you check on these ZIP codes before buying them. And please click on more than one property in these ZIP codes and see for yourself what you are paying for. A lot of them the broker is the only one that can get the leads and a lot of them are for sale by owners. Our little town is aware of that and slowly boycotting Zillow. Their rate is outrageous and paid realtors have an unfair advantage. I am done with them. No more.

When we found out that Zillow let realtors BID on leads in their area that was the last straw. Just by indicating you are interested in a property they will sell your contact info to a realtor claiming you are interested in a property. They are abusing the average man's privacy and ripping off realtors across the country who think they are being sold the goose that lays golden eggs. About half of their property listings are outdated or don't even exist anymore. They have no incentive to take these down as they are just more opportunities for an unsuspecting victim to click on it who they can then sell to a misinformed realtor in their area. They have only gotten to the point they are by buying out all their competition and operating off the philosophy that every minute there's a new sucker born for them to rip off.

I am a realtor and I have listed my home with the MLS. I did not authorize Zillow to do a zestimate, blog, etc. They have done it anyway. I have contacted the company but have not gotten any resolution to this problem. I know Zillow does this all the time, but there should be guidelines to what they can state, or what the owner does not want shown on their page.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Zillow was launched by two former Microsoft executives in 2006. It is owned by the Zillow Group and makes a profit by selling ad space on the website and through its partner with U.S. newspapers to provide real estate searches on their websites. Zillow lists all types of real estate available for sale and rent.

• Multiple search areas: Users can search for houses in select neighborhoods or areas simultaneously and exclude all homes listed outside of those areas. Site visitors can circle the area(s) they are interested in on a digital map and then apply filters to homes inside those areas.
  • Zillow Digs: Zillow Digs, a portion of Zillow’s website, helps people find design and decoration inspiration. It shows pictures of both interior and exterior spaces and lists prices for materials used as well as an estimate for labor cost.
  • Zillow Advice: The Zillow Advice section of the company’s website serves as a forum where individuals can ask and respond to real estate related questions. Users can sort by city or neighborhood to see discussions about problems or trends in their area.
  • Sun NumberTM: Those interested in using solar energy will find Zillow’s Sun Number, which is listed on the page for each property. This number tells how well-suited the house is for installing solar panels based on the building type, climate, electricity cost and solar installation cost.
  • Zestimate: Each house listed on Zillow has a Zestimate, which estimates the current market value of the house, the amount it could be rented for and whether the value is projected to increase or decrease over the following year.
  • Best for Zillow is best for house hunters, renters, homeowners and real estate agents.

Compare Real Estate Websites