Zillow.com

Compare Real Estate Websites

Research top Real Estate Websites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Zillow is a piece of crap. For several years my home value was above $265,000 - recently near $300,000 which is approximately the mid range value of my home. All of a sudden the valuation changed to $206,000, and the value history was somehow adjusted to be total BS. I've given Zillow 48 hours to correct. If they do not, I will rewrite my home description until I get the valuation deserved, and file a complaint with the NYS Attorney General. These ** better get their act together OR I will file a law suit for detrimentally valuing my home and precluding sale because of this negative press.

Zillow is not a reputable company in regard to your property value! One day your home is worth, 698,000 and the next day real estate value dropped price 50%! Erased previous value stated. Then taxes should decrease 50% too! Tried calling to no avail! This is a fraudulent company! The person in Chicago is suing Zillow and there are going to be many others to follow suit! Recently, when filling out facts, I listed my email address. Contacted within five minutes of submitting email by one of your Zillow affiliated realtors "do you want to list your home?" We stated, "not at this time," politely... it is not for sale! Due to saying no, the realtor decreased our value online 50% off. Before the phone call listed $698,000 and the thereafter $343,000! Fraudulent at its finest~Zillow! Lawsuits galore future!

I am here to complain as a homeowner of the unfair practices of Zillow in determining their “Estimates” in regards to the value of a house. I have complained to them several times about their unfair practices but now I find there is a home in my town that is same size and bedrooms, but not the amenities we have (HVAC air/heat, finished basement) and yet they calculate their “Estimate” to be over $55,000 more than my house. This is nothing more than a sham site and they should not be allowed to hurt homeowners in this fashion.

Zillow blatantly lies about the historical "Zestimates" for our home. I regularly monitor my home's Zestimate, not because I'm interested in selling it--but because I want to know what my home is potentially worth. I checked today for the first time in perhaps a month and noticed it was $130,000. It seems to be creeping lower and lower. At point last year, it was Zestimated at $175,000. But I noticed that Zillow claimed my value was increasing by $10,000 over last month. Certainly not.

I looked at the chart that shows the Zestimates over the last 10 years or so. It was completely inaccurate. It claimed that in April 2013, my house was at a low of $45,000. I've lived here since January 2013 and it was *never* $46,000. Nor would my house have *ever* sold for less than $100,000 on the market. It also did not show the period last year where my Zestimate was over $150,000 for 7 months. That was erased to show a value of $100K-$110K over the same period instead.

Instead, it painted a rosy picture of a house increasing in value with the graph lines slowly going up. What a crock. I remember I emailed them a few years ago when they pulled this stunt before (I had never been under $100K at that point and suddenly I had a period that occurred 6 months in the past where I was only worth $70K) and they said I must have been mistaken. I must have looked at someone else's house. I'm not mistaken. Now you can't even contact them--there's no customer service e-mail address on their site and their Facebook page does not allow messaging.

Stop making my house look like a dump on your website by changing old numbers. We put $40,000 in renovations and significant upgrades into it in 2015 that is part of public records because we needed town permission and we had to pull permits--information that Zillow supposedly uses and has available to make these informed decisions of value.

I don't really care about the value, per se, but if Zillow is going to claim this as a tool--use it responsibly, don't lie and craft figures that are part of the "history" and change that "history" as you see fit. Once a month closes, you can't go back and change the numbers. That is dishonest and makes you completely unfit to do what you claim to do. I wonder how this affects other people who are selling their homes who have *never* checked their Zestimate?

I am the owner/agent of a listing in Houston, Zillow is showing the listing as a foreclosure when it is NOT. They also give a foreclosure estimate that has nothing to do with reality. I have written 6 times to complain and the Houston Association of Realtors has written 2 times with no action on their part, all I get is an automated response saying they will look into it. This gives the consumer fraudulent information regarding this listing. They will not call me to explain their point of view and you can't call them. I would recommend to consumers not to rely on their listings.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zillow.com?

This is it in a nutshell! Our complaints about Zillow: Our home continues to depreciate on your website. It is now showing as having depreciated by $160,000. What do you mean when you say you have no control over these Zestimates, that they're based on some type of algorithm that no one understands. Isn't this your company? Why have a value associated with a property if it is totally inaccurate? What a scam.

Every end unit, waterfront property in our complex is now rated as more valuable than ours, by as much as $100,00, even with the enhancements and upgrades we've made. We also find it rather suspicious that when the KW (Keller Williams) ad was placed on our site, that this issue began. Remove that now. You have no right to falsely post this inaccurate information. The video you shared is useless. Please take this complaint to the next level within your management. Have a supervisor call us immediately.

No home values for most houses in Canton MA 02021. They cannot fix this since June 2017 (now is August). There are only prices assessed in 2014! Emailed to Zillow - no answer. Horrible customer service - no phone connection.

I have been tracking the value of my summer home on Zillow for 3 years. I regularly download the current valuation and put it into my financial planning spreadsheet. In the last month, after the valuation growing to $175K, it dropped to $120K. Worse, Zillow value history now claims the property value never got above $120K. If I use Zillow's "check your comparables" feature, using the comparable properties Zillow recommends, it computes a value of $207K. WTF? I use to love Zillow, now I'm getting scared to use it.

I am a Realtor/Broker. Zillow should be taken down. The misinformation on this site is widespread. I highly advise the public to use another site. I could write a book on how many times I have to explain to customers why the information on Zillow is false and misleading. I have a listing that is posted on our local MLS where Zillow picks up information for their web site. My listing is renting for $900.00 per month and they have it posted on their web site at $375.00. Can you imagine the calls I'm getting. I sent them 3 emails to their customer service that handles this area without any response except for a standard computerized reply.

Zillow.com has all the listings which makes it easy to look and check out listings. If interested, you click the button and they say an agent will contact you. Twice now, someone from Zillow calls me at 7 AM - my phone number is MST number - anyone should be able to look up an area code and know - hey... don't call people at 7 am to try... not actually connect but to TRY to connect them to an agent. Zillow - do your homework! Ohhh not done... Miraculously - both times the agent they tried to connect me to "stepped away from their desk!" ARE YOU KIDDING ME? YOU WOKE ME UP AND NOW YOU CAN'T COMPLETE THE TASK YOU SET OUT TO DO BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT PREPARED? Oh yes - there is more!

Your silly phone person then says "ok, the agent (named) will call you back between such and such time." Fine. I am already awake now. So I will wait for a call back from the guy who disappeared from his desk - just now! Said time comes... and goes... and in the meantime I have gotten 2 text messages from ZILLOW and one email reminding me... me... you are reminding me, of an appointment that was agreed on by both parties. GUESS WHO DIDN'T GET A PHONE CALL FROM EITHER AGENT. ME! The one you woke up, the one you incessantly are texting and emailing me to remind me I have an upcoming call.

After I text you back - ALEX ** - and tell you stop texting me and don't bother me again - you send me 3 more text messages. REALLY - and you stated "we didn't realize you were in another timezone." What? Err on the side of caution folks - if you see a different area code... don't call it. And its not that hard to put up an area code map in your little cubicle. Zillow I hope your agents realize how poor your service is. You are ill prepared and when a person says no more contact... pretty sure it means "Don't call me again". I will not be clicking to contact your agents from your website - Your service is lousy and DO NOT WAKE ME UP AGAIN ON A SATURDAY MORNING!

Everyone takes a Zestimate into account when purchasing a home, everyone no matter what they tell you. I watch the market for over a year, planning to sell my house. The week before I plan on listing, Zillow takes their zestimate on my home and drops it 15%, making the value change so much that I am no longer to sell. In reality, local home sales have smaller, worse condition homes selling for higher amounts than the original zestimate. I contact them to let them know this and their response is, "It's our algorithm and we won't change the zestimate because it's correct." Well, it's way off, and potential buyers will change their perspective. This hurts many individuals who are selling and buying homes when their algorithm is incorrect. Who can do something about this business practice that hurts sellers mostly because buyers truly do use the zestimate in making offers.

I am a realtor and my listing is incorrectly listed as a foreclosure. It is in the MLS properly (foreclosure = no), but in Zillow for some reason it's saying it's a foreclosure. Despite repeated attempts (multiple emails per day for 4 days now) to: care@zillow.com, contentflags@zillow.com, mlssupport@zillow.com, no progress has been made.

I've followed the instructions online for both (a) reporting an incorrect foreclosure (black flag) and (b) report incorrect information on a listing. As a temporary solution, I added to the comments on the listing itself (in MLS) something to the effect of, "this is not a foreclosure, the information in Zillow is incorrect", but this is not feeding over to Zillow as it should. I have not received one email back from Zillow. We've now lost VALUABLE days on market and nearly 400 views online with incorrect information. This will cost thousands of dollars in the sale of the home.

My home has been listed on Zillow for 31 Days, In that time, I fired one realtor and hired another. The Zillow Zestimate, on 6/28/17 was 187.7K. After the realtor change, it dropped from 187.7K to 110K, 15 days later. In the past week, it went up to 111K, then, yesterday, down to 108K. The explanation I get from Zillow Group Staff, by email, is that they have been making "adjustments" to their algorithm, and over the next weeks, it will "correct" itself.

Time is money. Zillow Group CEO, in a 2016 interview, claimed Zestimates can be changed "in minutes." As I see from postings on this site, others in the same time interval are having problems similar to my own, but are being stonewalled by Zillow Group. To those, I say: File a consumer complaint with the Washington State AG's office and also with the AG's office in your own state. Homes are a major asset and Zillow Group, a Washington State, is creating financial harm and damage to the value of people's largest asset, but are either too arrogant or lazy to fix the problem. It is time to show this arrogant, money-bloated corporation that consumers WILL NOT sit back and watch their major asset devalued by false and inaccurate "estimates" while Zillow Group fiddles with its algorithm, which, for all we know, has been hacked and damaged, to our detriment.

Our Zestimate went from $614,323 on 6/20/17 to $553,534 on 7/19/17. I contacted someone at Zillow yesterday and he promised to get back with me within 24 hours. No news from him. I want to know how they can reduce a house $61,000 in one month while my neighbor's shot up $12,000 in the same month. We just updated our house which I wrote up when I edited the home facts on Zillow. Instead of going up, the price went down! I request to restore it back to the $614,323. I am happy to find out that currently there are 2 lawsuits pending against their Zestimates.

My house "dropped" in value by 50K overnight. Amazingly at the same time I did not list with one of their agents. I told them I was selling it; yet, they refuse to list it for sell... Why? Because I will not list with one of their agents? You cannot get a hold of them. Very one-sided.

In the process of refinancing. I subscribe by email to monthly Zillow property valuation updates. Between June and July my property value dropped by $28k according to July Zillow report but the same report said the price increased by $7,800 from June report. Sent an email to customer service asking for correction. Their reply was that they changed the valuation "algorithm" to provide more accurate pricing and they never make corrections. Unsubscribed to email alerts and eliminated Zillow app from my phone. Based on my experience, I would never list my home with Zillow or use them for new house search. Now to convince mortgage lenders not to use Zillow for preliminary valuation purposes.

They say don't look a gift horse in the mouth, and I am not. I am grateful that I was able to use Zillow for various reasons, but note that the information acquired to prepare a zestimate on your property IS NONE. They use an Argo rhythm and I am not sure of that either. My house went from a zestimate of $371,000 to $389,00 to $311,000 the very next day. I have contacted them via email some 7 or 8 times and I get no response. I have called their corporate office and no response for individual home owners that have their property on FOR SALE BY OWNER. My pictures went from 38 to 6 and when I try to reload them it gives me a SYSTEM ERROR. I don't know what is going on with Zillow, but they were at one time really good about responding to emails. I think there is something going on internally or they have just given up. Bottom line, use to view pics, but other than that do your own research and don't rely on the information they provide.

Zillow is publicly traded on Nasdaq with a Market Cap of $8.5 Billion dollars. Last year I used Zillow.com to list one of my FSBO properties. Their site was clunky but it worked. This year I have been trying for two (2) weeks to list another property. Zillow.com is totally nonfunctional! Called tech support in Washington state, no success. Multiple emails to tech support, no success. Zillow has been incurring massive quarterly losses while some insider traders (Zillow execs) steadily cash out their stock, mostly obtained by options and warrants. I am looking forward to the day the shareholders wake up and smell the coffee. Till then it is probably best to avoid the frustration of the Zillow experience.

Zillow is unavailable by phone, no matter how many times you attempt to contact them and even by email they DO NOT respond! We have contacted them over 15 times in the last three weeks to no avail through both avenues. What should be simple fixes through them then become nightmares. The sale or purchase of a home is an important stage of your life, Zillow has shown a total disrespect and disregard for customer service or an understanding of the importance of this stage. I would ask you to consider listing your property through another avenue if you want to deal with a reputable company, I wish I would have.

In my experience, Zillow does not reply to messages left to emails or phone calls concerning problems concerning, "FOR SALE BY OWNER". I realize that we have not paid for the service that they have provided for us, so I did not expect an immediate response. However, I did think allowing more than 2 weeks was appropriate. It is very aggravating when trying to market your home and your photos suddenly disappear from the website - when they were displayed with no issues for weeks. After following the instructions on the HELP SITE - with the issue not being resolved - and not being able to get a hold of someone, it is just very irritating. Do NOT count on Zillow's "CUSTOMER SERVICE". Unless you are a realtor - they will not be of any help to you.

Zillow's phony zestimates - Zillow valued my home at 540,000 last January. By yesterday Zillow valued my home at 470,000 - a 70,000 drop in value without explanation. Today, July 12, 2017, Zillow valued my home at 428,000 - a one day drop of 42,000 and again with no explanation. Further, Zillow had the balls to tell the reader that today's value represented a 2,000 increase in the last 30 days. This proves that Zillow is little more than a low end fraud. Home sellers should not do business with any buyers who base their offers on Zillow as these buyers are participating in the fraud.

Zillow is lousy company without any telephone support to help resolve customers issues. How can anyone list major investment like house with them if they don't have anybody answering phone to help... Pls have telephone support where someone answers to help customers... thx.

Completed listing for my condo on July 3rd, ran into many strange, time consuming messages on the website but did get it through. They emailed back twice I needed to remove my phone number from the ad itself because it was "self-promoting." Of course, it's not, I'm just a condo owner, but I did and resubmitted immediately asking them to post without the number in the listing. I've been doing this over and over again, the message states it will be posted within 72 hours, but something very wrong is going on here. A lot of people use Zillow and this is a real problem for me - they still haven't posted it.

Our property was listed with an agent; after the contract ran out, we decided to try and sell it on our own. Working with Zillow was an enormously frustrating experience. First, Zillow's site had "ghost" information, presumably from the previous MLS listing, although some of the information was incorrect and we could not verify the original source. There were minor errors such as number of days on Zillow, the wrong foundation type, etc; however, the pressing concern was that the Status of the listing was noted as "P-Pending Sale." Assuming that would cost us views/inquiries, we filed error reports; our emails were responded to by technicians telling us that the status error had been corrected--even though it had not been. I tried to contact customer service by phone, but it is fully automated, impossible to get an actual person to talk with you, and no one returned my calls.

It took over a month to get the status error corrected, then an even bigger problem occurred when we reduced the selling price and all of our photos disappeared. The reduction was intended to get us more views, but then there was nothing to see. In addition, the Zestimate kept changing, dropping with no explanation and for no apparent reason supported by the local market. Overall, this company is not only infuriating, but incompetent, and, we believe, ultimately detrimental to sellers who use the site.

Posted my condo for sale with Zillow 13 days ago. Was told it took 72 hours for it to post. Still not posted and haven't heard a word from them. I contacted them twice, problem not resolved. The worst customer service ever... Very disappointed!

Very negative experience. If I knew more about this company, I would never deal with them or read what they say! I decided to sell one of my properties and submitted my ad for sale by owner on June 30, 2017. After 72 hrs waiting period pass and no one contacting me I start worried. I have open house scheduled for July 9, 2017 which is tomorrow but my ad is not up. I emailed and called, I have been told that ad is verified and will be up in 24 hrs, etc. Bottom line, don't believe it all, they totally not on your side!!! Consumer should be aware! It's a scam!!! This is not even talking about wrong estimates! Chicago consumer have filed class action suit already! This website should be illegal due to they hurt customer.

This is the 3rd time I am editing this review on Zillow! I am sure Zillow is not going to publish this since they are obviously being paid by the mortgage specialists to only allow 5 star reviews as it is clear from the other reviews on their website! I had an unpleasant experience working with Steve ** mortgage specialist. His wife Amy asked for all of my documents and then she sent me a good faith estimate. The lender fee was really high, so I told her that I am going to shop around. Also she wanted to charge me to lock the rates but I wanted to wait. Then she insisted I sign the disclosures over and over again until I ran out of patience. This is not a professional behavior. Also she shared my pre-approval letter and information with a realtor she chose for me without consulting me first. Overall they looked pushy and desperate and that did not appeal to me.

I have lost tens of thousand of dollars from the public being given the perception that their Zestimate is the true value. This being said a customer didn't want to pay any more than the "zestimate". I filed proof their information was inaccurate and only after the property closed did they raise the value by $50,000 for the new buyer which was useless to us and literally cost us money. With regard to the public I have properties for sale yet Zillow and Trulia state they are off the market because they are trying to compel us as Realtors to become a Premier Agent.

The management is never reachable and this is one of the biggest scams out there. They get paid on the finance they don't follow the laws and now they are about to try to screw with all the Realtors by offering no commission options. I am being told by zillow they have an obligation to their stockholders and they are not even showing a profit. Seriously with 70 to 80 million from Realtors I think they are showing a profit.

Zillow is so inaccurate with their information! In one month's time property has jump 50,000 in one month and bounces back the next. The number of bathrooms have decreased from 2 bathrooms to 1 bathroom in half the houses in the tract for no reason.

There should be controls put on this company. Their estimates change drastically and are completely bogus and inaccurate. They send me zestimates for a house I sold 3.5 years ago (Long Island, South Shore, 40 by 80 lot, no garage, no basement, run down area, next to apartments indicating the estimate is up 100k to 476k! We bought for sold for 375k).

Here's the kicker, they send me estimates of my current property (Long Island, North Shore, 1 acre, in ground pool, 4 car garage, basement, 9/10 school district...) They claim the value of this current house is down 100k - from their estimate 3 months ago - and is now magically worth LESS than THE OLD HOUSE (on 40 by 80 lot, no garage, next to apartments). For comparison, our neighbor across street JUST sold for 800k and next door neighbor house is worth well over a million. They are a joke!

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Zillow was launched by two former Microsoft executives in 2006. It is owned by the Zillow Group and makes a profit by selling ad space on the website and through its partner with U.S. newspapers to provide real estate searches on their websites. Zillow lists all types of real estate available for sale and rent.

• Multiple search areas: Users can search for houses in select neighborhoods or areas simultaneously and exclude all homes listed outside of those areas. Site visitors can circle the area(s) they are interested in on a digital map and then apply filters to homes inside those areas.
  • Zillow Digs: Zillow Digs, a portion of Zillow’s website, helps people find design and decoration inspiration. It shows pictures of both interior and exterior spaces and lists prices for materials used as well as an estimate for labor cost.
  • Zillow Advice: The Zillow Advice section of the company’s website serves as a forum where individuals can ask and respond to real estate related questions. Users can sort by city or neighborhood to see discussions about problems or trends in their area.
  • Sun NumberTM: Those interested in using solar energy will find Zillow’s Sun Number, which is listed on the page for each property. This number tells how well-suited the house is for installing solar panels based on the building type, climate, electricity cost and solar installation cost.
  • Zestimate: Each house listed on Zillow has a Zestimate, which estimates the current market value of the house, the amount it could be rented for and whether the value is projected to increase or decrease over the following year.
  • Best for Zillow is best for house hunters, renters, homeowners and real estate agents.

Compare Real Estate Websites