Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!
  2. Moving
  3. Real Estate Websites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.61/5

Zillow.com Reviews

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

Willers ** was attentive, punctual and honest. He helped my husband and I find the right property for us. He was easy to work with, friendly and truly cared about our needs and wants. He found answers to all of our questions, even when he had to consult on details. It was refreshing to feel like our requests for further information weren't just fluff in the wind. Because he was professional and showed genuine caring to find us the right fit for our new venture, I would definitely recommend his services, he is more like a friend trying to please his client, he listens and he went above and beyond for us.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

There aren't very many good reviews regarding Zillow offers, however my husband and I had a very positive and seamless experience. We received what we felt was a fair price for our previous area and were able to move out of the state within a month! We had a more difficult time with the home builder in our new state versus the experience with Zillow. I think people feel their homes are worth far more than it's actually worth. Just my personal opinion!

Get expert buying tips about Real Estate Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

Rachel ** of Jose Medina & Associates is extremely nice, helpful and very easy to work with. She is extremely knowledgeable in her field and I would highly recommend her to anyone who wants to sell their home. Our property sold the first day listed and her team was extremely helpful throughout the entire process. Any questions (there were many) were answered with kindness and taken care of immediately. I can't say enough about our most positive experience.

Original review: May 29, 2019

We recently sold our home in Cornville, AZ with the expert help and direction from our realtor, Evan **, (Berkshire Hathaway). He had a good knowledge of the location and told us stories of how he grew up nearby, playing and exploring the many Indian ruin sites, creeks and trails. With his help and direction we were able to get the house and property ready to list within a month. We listed March 11th and had 2 cash offers AND a contract by THAT Friday! The house was SOLD and escrow closed in 30 days! We can’t say enough about the care and service that Evan provided and will continue to highly recommended him at every opportunity we have!

Original review: April 23, 2019

After listing with 2 previous realtors (both being horrible experiences), we went with Kelly **. I was very weary of having another realtor list our home while we were living out of state. But Kelly was so professional and her communication was SUPERIOR. Kelly made us feel at ease and emailed, called and texted constantly keeping us updated. Kelly did sell our home and the entire process was so easy because Kelly made sure it was. If you have had a negative experience with a realtor, or if you want to avoid having a negative experience, go with Kelly **, you WILL NOT regret it. Thank you so much Kelly, we would be more than happy to be a reference at any time.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zillow.com?

Original review: March 29, 2020

Zillow signed a contract to purchase my rental house in Phoenix. I had tenants in the house and, as per the contract, had to let them go before the closing date. However, 9 days before the closing, Zillow cancelled the contract due to Coronavirus (although, there was no such clause in the contract). As a result, not only that the house won't be sold and I wasted countless hours in the closing process, more importantly, I lost steady rent revenue which I counted on to help me pay mortgage, property taxes, insurance..., and it's almost impossible to find a new tenant in this pandemic situation.

To make the matter worse, I live in New York City, which is the hardest stricken part of the US by the pandemic, and there is a real possibility that I may lose my job (not to mention sick or worse) as countless of New Yorkers already did. Because of that, I may lose my ability to pay mortgage and end up in the streets, especially now that I cannot count on the rent revenue. Zillow did offer $5k in earnest money, however, in my situation is not enough, as it may prolong the bad outcome for only a few months. Zillow made my already difficult situation immeasurably worse

Original review: March 27, 2020

We were sent an email two weeks before we were set to close that Zillow was halting the purchases of homes because of the COVID-19 virus. We were also supposed to close on a new home the same day. So two families were impacted as they had moved out of their home. We were offered two solutions, 5K for inconvenience, or they will list our home for free which makes no sense. This has hit our families in a major way.

This is the email that I sent: Please let me know the status of this escalation. Per our convo, we were set to close with Zillow and a new home on April 9th. The sellers of the home that we had plans to purchase have moved out, made ALL of the improvements that we requested, and trusted not only us, but that Zillow was also purchasing our home. I don't understand how Zillow believes that this is good business practice to terminate SO CLOSE to the date that we are supposed to close. This not only impacts my family, but the seller's family, and it's a major financial impact. If this is a matter of health issues, papers can be signed easily, virtually.

The little people like us don't have bailouts. We try to do the right thing, save up money, sell our homes to get into better school districts, etc. This is a nightmare. How is 5K going to make up for what we all have lost? It is really an insult, and it feels like we are just being thrown 'get over it' money. Please let me know if this has been properly escalated as we requested on our call, and who it was escalated to on our behalf, and when we can expect a call back.

We feel an exception should be made in our case. This issue is bigger than the 5K that Zillow is offering. This is also a matter of principals. And if Zillow is willing to list our home, why not follow the contract and purchase our home as stated? Per your website's mission, 'Our mission is to build the largest, most trusted and vibrant home-related marketplace in the world, and we remind ourselves of this almost daily. Our mission drives us to stay motivated and work together to accomplish great things.', but where is the trust? Is Zillow prepared for the backlash of all of this? Did anyone think about those of us who depend on you all to do the right thing for US? Literally days away from closing? We need answers.

Original review: March 24, 2020

Zillow came out and evaluated my house, made an offer, and we signed a purchase contract. Then, less than 3 weeks before closing, they backed out due to a "pause in business". Meanwhile I am under contract to purchase a new house and am stuck! Their response "we'll give you $5,000 for the inconvenience". That doesn't sell my current house so that I can close on my new house. They are financially destroying me. I will NEVER recommend them to anyone. Poor business practices and they don't honor their contracts. They have no sympathy for the people they are screwing over.

Original review: March 20, 2020

First of all, people understand that when you call a Zillow, you are calling to be put in touch with the realtor who has paid to advertise on Zillow‘s site. We buy the ZIP Codes. I had paid for this advertising for five months, when my credit card expired. I received a call from the account manager who manages my ZIP Codes. She told me that my credit card had expired and that there was more availability in my ZIP Code. I updated my credit card, only to be charged, but then realized I was not given that additional ZIP Code. They dropped the ball.

When you bring it up to them, they are so sorry, and they can look for more available ZIP Codes for you. They promised a service they do not fulfill, and then give a fake apology when they do not do what they said they were going to do. Still you are charged for the service. Do not deal with Zillow, and do not deal with Kristen **, at Zillow! Now, I have put in a dispute with my credit card. My credit card company is very good, so I’m not concerned with us, but why go through the headache? Do not advertise with Zillow, and do not shop with them!

Original review: March 15, 2020

My bank and Zillow website appraise my home in Littleton Co. at $450 thousand. The Zillow cash offer only $363 thousand, after lowball offer minus fake repair bills. Then, we notice their "inspection team" which is nothing more than some young fellow dumping rocks on our back deck, taking photos of that. Tracking in mud on his shoes on the carpet, and taking photos of that. You get the idea. Then we get handed a fake repair bill of 16 thousand dollars. They wanted 8 grand to replace the roof, and the roof is only 2 years old. They wanted 4 grand to replace the furnace, and this furnace is only 19 years old. The rest of the repair bill minor cosmetic stuff.

Now we explain the real story. The offer of $362 thousand is the number Zillow starts with, if they believe this is what they would have to pay if this house would go to auction. We got the Same Number from RedFinNow, so this is no coincidence. After speaking with my lender, experts agree the auction value of this property, actually closer to 390 thousand. But Zillow sets their offer number of 362 thousand first, does the fake inspection, then they come up with fake repair bill of 16 thousand, then adds their 7% mark-up fee, plus other fees to arrive at $405 thousand. Then, Zillow said, "But our offer is 405 thousand, not 363 thousand." You kind of see how they try to play you for a fool...

The Zillow offer is so low, we can list this home for 411 thousand. We can still advertise the asking price about 40 thousand under market value, turn a sale inside of a few weeks, and then just call it a day. We strongly advise everyone stay away from Zillow, RedFinNOw, any other cash-offer companies. Maybe zero sales and zero profits will help put these people out of business...

Zillow.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Zillow was launched by two former Microsoft executives in 2006. It is owned by the Zillow Group and makes a profit by selling ad space on the website and through its partner with U.S. newspapers to provide real estate searches on their websites. Zillow lists all types of real estate available for sale and rent.

• Multiple search areas: Users can search for houses in select neighborhoods or areas simultaneously and exclude all homes listed outside of those areas. Site visitors can circle the area(s) they are interested in on a digital map and then apply filters to homes inside those areas.

• Zillow Digs: Zillow Digs, a portion of Zillow’s website, helps people find design and decoration inspiration. It shows pictures of both interior and exterior spaces and lists prices for materials used as well as an estimate for labor cost.

• Zillow Advice: The Zillow Advice section of the company’s website serves as a forum where individuals can ask and respond to real estate related questions. Users can sort by city or neighborhood to see discussions about problems or trends in their area.

• Sun NumberTM: Those interested in using solar energy will find Zillow’s Sun Number, which is listed on the page for each property. This number tells how well-suited the house is for installing solar panels based on the building type, climate, electricity cost and solar installation cost.

• Zestimate: Each house listed on Zillow has a Zestimate, which estimates the current market value of the house, the amount it could be rented for and whether the value is projected to increase or decrease over the following year.

• Best for: Zillow is best for house hunters, renters, homeowners and real estate agents.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team