1.44/5
  • 1 star
Based on 146 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 6, 2017

315 Zillow.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I was stupid enough to fill out a form, which made it seem like general info, or maybe a few emails would be sent. Within a couple of hours my phone was receiving non stop emails, texts, calls, and voicemails. Not only did Zillow blow up my phone from multiple numbers after I blocked them, but they gave my number out to what seems like hundreds of Realtors and lenders for cold calling. I'm always careful to uncheck the subscribe to emails and contact me fields, and am positive I implied I already had a realtor.

Now, I receive hundreds of calls, and if I block them they reach out another way! I sent a customer service request to Zillow, and they had the nerve to send me instructions on how to unsubscribe from the typical marketing emails as if I was some moron imagining my phone going off day and night (if it was an email with an unsubscribe link or an account setting don't you think I'd figure that out before suffering for days with this crap?). There's no way to block all these third parties and the many numbers Zillow uses. Zillow, Quicken Loans, and any other realtor/lender interfering with my life to the point of me needing to change my number or risk losing my consulting career have lost all potential business. I doubt any of them would appreciate being spammed every 10 minutes. No one feels comfortable trusting such a large purchase with some desperate creep over the phone.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I'm interested in renting a house and I've inquired about 5 or so properties and called about 3 times with no answer. I do live in another state from where I'm inquiring about but I'm a little annoyed that I've gotten no contact back.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

Est. price dropped 59% overnight - Zillow sends periodic estimates to homeowners even if their property is not on the market. Other units in the complex are selling for $335 to $375 K. I had a major remodel and upgrade two years ago. Zillow dropped their estimate to $153K overnight, and cannot provide any explanation for this. I do not like to be put off with canned comments and airy references to neighborhood values and algorithms. This is not an explanation.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

The company appears to estimate property via house sold in area. However it does not take into consideration the amount of property with the house. My house is on 6 acres not a standard lot. Drastically affecting the value and sale of my house. It's impossible to get in contact with the company. This can cost me 75,000 plus.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

The company was not consistent with the rules for listing a property for rent on its site. I followed another listing doing exactly the same thing and was decline. When I pointed out that I followed a listing at the same building, I received no reply. Also the only inquiries for rent I received was trollers. I now use VRBO; it's a real site for renting your property.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zillow.com?

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

I had listed my home with a broker. They listed it at several sites including Zillow. At the time, I was not aware of the workings or MOs of Zillow. I saw that Zillow started to show my listing along some very bad listings with a much lower sales prices. I asked my Broker to take the listing off this criminal company called Zillow. He said he cannot take it off and Zillow kept reducing their self-created, fraudulent "Z estimates", from $389,000 to $268,000. I had recently spent close to $50,000 for improvements that Zillow had not seen and had also not compared the sales in immediate area. I lost more than $70K because of Zillow and my Broker who works with Zillow.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

We purchased our house 2 years ago for one million six hundred which was the appraised value. It is on tax roll for one million seven hundred. We listed it last year for 2 million after extensive upgrades. Zestimate was 1.5 and dropped to 980,000. After repeated phone calls and emails they informed me that they can't do anything! Not look at comp sales, not look at taxes nor sales record from two years previously. They are damaging us and many others financially with incorrect info!!! They need to remove the Zestimate!!! We would like to know how to let our house and keep it off Zillow??? Are there any class action suits against them??

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

The ease of use cannot be any better. Excellent for user friendly content. Notifies me daily, of existing properties available in the locales of my choice, 7 days a week.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Been using Zillow for years. They are behind in updating the info. on homes that are contingent, pending or sold. Cannot depend that their info. is accurate. Like the way the website is set up. It's just too bad that current updates on some properties are lagging.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

My home (** Phx, AZ) was listed briefly through a realtor, who I fired for incompetence, and the Zillow Zestimate was $445,000 while listed. I subsequently listed this property on Zillow as a For Sale by Owner (FSBO) listing & the Zestimate home value dropped to $415,000, a 6% drop. I contacted Zillow via email to question of their proprietary algorithm for Zestimates included an added it listed through a realtor. Zillow responded with a "non-denial denial". It is obvious from my experience that Zillow disadvantages FSBO properties by reducing their values by 6% compared to exact same property listed thru realtor. The realtor we originally used was awful. I requested several times she perform a Comparative Market Analysis since your home has several premium features compared to other homes sold in same neighborhood. She either didn't want to or didn't know how to do this.

I performed the CMA myself & determined a market value of $485k to $495k for my home based on Comparable properties sold w/in last five months in same subdivision Since it is a Buyer's market in our area & we want to sell within 30 days, we are asking $458,000. This reduced price has nothing to do with not using a realtor. If the market were a Seller Market & we had 90 to 120 days to sell we would have listed for $490,000. In fact, I believe the information I am providing to potential buyers is superior to that thru a realtor. The bottom line here is that Zillow is being very devious w/ their listing service of FSBO properties by purposely lowering their Zestimate values by 6% to favor properties listed through Realtors. Lastly, I am an engineer & mathematician by trade so I know of what I write & speak.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

My experience with Nicole ** was a great experience, she worked with me to make sure I got one of the greatest deals out there while looking for a home, she was very instrumental in making sure I find the best bargain and she was with me from the beginning until the closing date. I recommend that she was the best Realtor Agent I'd work with, she kept me informed well and complete. Thank You.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

My fiancé and I are currently in the process of looking for houses and we have been casually searching for the last 2 months. Today, we just came across our THIRD falsely reported open house. I just shrugged off the other two, but I can no longer keep my mouth shut. Today is October 29th and we went to this house (Image below) around 1:30 pm. There was no open house sign but an agent was there for a "showing". We questioned the agent and he confirmed that there was no open house today. With frustration, we double checked the date and time and left upset, even though Zillow has it listed for an open house today.

It is extremely frustrating when we are looking for houses and we continuously come across these falsely reported open houses. Even though our timeframe for a house is still approximately 12 months out, we are in the process of doing our research and figuring out what type of home we would like to purchase. On our last open house (2 weeks ago) It was very embarrassing to approach a house in which the current homeowners are home and are surprised when they answer the door. Needless to say, I will not be using Zillow for our house hunting and I highly discourage others from using this site as well.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

They make homeowners wait over 72 hours just to get your home listed for sale!! Yet they let the realtors list the same day, just unfair. They also they gave my home a terrible home Estimate: It went up and then down hurting my home to get sold. I even increased the value of my home with recent work yet they refuse to change their estimate. They really they to make better changes to their system.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

If you are looking at ** this house is not for sale. I have sent several letters to Zillow. No response phone calls. What a joke. Please stop sending request to buy my house. I am going to put a large sign out in front of house not for sale!!! I do not know how Zillow received this information!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

Chris ** Grants Pass, Oregon - BEWARE THIS CON ARTIST. BOUGHT OSPREY POINT RV PARK, LAKESIDE, OR. Lied to all current property owners. Raised HOA monthly rates illegally then claims there is no HOA. Claims there is no money in a road maintenance fund which clearly states in recorded HOA documents which many owners have paid into for years. Has several filed and/or pending lawsuits regarding this and more.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I have been an independent broker for 30+ years and not a member of a MLS, Zillow will not let me advertise a listing on their site BUT they will let FOR SALE BY OWNERS list. They are discriminating against the small independent brokers!!! Too bad I can't give zero stars.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

My mom is a real estate agent and signed up for Zillow hoping to increase her client base. They're charging her $700 per month and have not given her a SINGLE sale. I realize the monthly fees vary by region and level of "service" but this is the horrible contract they talked her into signing. They don't filter out potential buyers at all, so my mom ends up spending her time with people that are not serious about buying or are not qualified for a loan. She has tried to cancel several times and each time customer service rudely tells her there's no way out of her contract without paying a large fee. It seems to me that they're taking advantage of a 64 year old woman that simply trusted them to provide her with the service that they advertise on TV. It's not surprising to me that their ratings on Consumer Affairs are mostly negative. I strongly discourage anyone from using Zillow, real estate agents and buyers/sellers alike.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

I listed our property for sale on Zillow which was followed up in a couple days by a customer service rep who verified the listing would be completely free with no strings. All was well for about a month, we had inquiries every few days and at the close of each day I received a daily summary. One day I noticed a realtor's name attached to our listing... a realtor we have not signed with. When someone views our ad and inquires about the property, the realtor is the default "button" to where the inquiry will be sent unless the viewer changes it. Hence, we have stopped receiving inquiries the past two weeks and received no daily summary. I made a call to Zillow's customer service two days ago and left a message to which no return call has been received. I am very upset as we needed the property sold ASAP. We will now be seeking a realtor and NOT the one who has hijacked our ad.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I had my home listed on Zillow as For Sale By Owner. I was sent an e-mail from them telling to me call them and confirm some info about my home. When I checked my listing a few days later, there was a heading over my listing telling homebuyers to beware of suspicious listings. There is nothing suspicious about my listing but they would not respond back until I threatened legal action as to why this was posted with my listing.

Finally someone sent an e-mail explaining the suspicious listing crap is attached to all homes that are For Sale By Owner. I don't think so because I didn't always see it before. And strangely there were houses selling all around me all of a sudden. That may be another story. But how does Zillow expect anyone to sell a house with that piece of crap attached to their listing. There was nothing dishonest going on with my listing but beware of these people. You may not sell your house if you list it yourself because all you will get is a SUSPICIOUS LISTING post from Zillow which helps out the competition in your area. I don't want to give a star, maybe a "?".

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

All the information they have about my house is wrong which is very misleading for a prospective buyer. A lot of people rely on Zillow's wrong information. But there is no way for homeowners to opt out of and take their house out of their website. This giant corporation are winning all the lawsuits against them and small people like me are hopeless and can not do anything about it.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

After a recent software "upgrade" the estimates generated by the Zillow algorithm have become more ridiculous than ever before. All attempts to get Zillow to 1) recognize and acknowledge the problem, and 2) to correct the details they provide have fallen on deaf ears. This site is unreliable, misleading, and cares not about the information they are presenting as useful. Zero rating across the board.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

With the way real estate is changing today, it is nice to have a website like Zillow in order to be able to research properties that one might want to visit. It allows one to do comparison shopping in certain areas and zip codes in order to settle on different things that one actually wants to see in order not to waste time.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

We purchased a home 3 months ago for $189,000 which Zillow had zestimate of $190,000. Zestimate has dropped drastically down to $112,000 in less than 3 months. I have contacted Zillow and they said it's a new algorithm that has made changes. Other home around me has not changed. There is a home showing on map at $78,000 which is not in this neighborhood. The address listed on home is nowhere near here. It's is located in wrong place on map. I'm sure this has driven my zestimate down. I have reported it and so has a friend. Still not corrected. My house is marked in heart on map in attachment. See the $78k home inaccurately shown on my street? I am very upset. My home is showing at half the zestimate of all my neighbors homes. Very angry!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Zillow.com's information is usually outdated by at least 30 days & does not reach the correct buyers properly. They do not respond to questions and a phone number is not available.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

I am a home owner and a real estate professional. I listed one of my own properties on the MLS and allowed for the listing to be syndicated to Zillow. After several weeks, the listing wasn't getting a ton of attention, so I decided to list it for rent again. I wanted to keep it up for sale till I had a signed lease in case a buyer came along in the meantime. It is completely legal to have a listing up for sale and rent at the same time, but Zillow apparently does not allow this. So when I tried to list my place for rent on Zillow, it was declined and wouldn't post, saying that it was already listed on Zillow for sale. So wanting to honor their protocol, I stopped the syndication from the MLS system to Zillow, which should have pulled my property from the "for Sale" category on Zillow. Once it's not for sale on Zillow, it should be allow me to list it for rent.

Nearly a week later and Zillow hasn't updated the property listing status. Furthermore, even though I claimed the listing as my own, I am unable to edit it at all in Zillow because it keeps telling me that all the info for that listing if automatically fed by the info in the MLS. This is obviously not accurate since I stopped that feed 4 days ago. I've made countless attempts to contact their joke of a customer service number. I've left numerous voice mails. I've also sent numerous emails to their "help center" regarding this issue, only to have gotten NO response. I don't know how a company this huge can function without any customer service. I can honestly say that I've never dealt with this level of industry carelessness, apathy, and just flat out poor business practices. If I could give them zero stars, I would.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

Zillow is a piece of crap. For several years my home value was above $265,000 - recently near $300,000 which is approximately the mid range value of my home. All of a sudden the valuation changed to $206,000, and the value history was somehow adjusted to be total BS. I've given Zillow 48 hours to correct. If they do not, I will rewrite my home description until I get the valuation deserved, and file a complaint with the NYS Attorney General. These ** better get their act together OR I will file a law suit for detrimentally valuing my home and precluding sale because of this negative press.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

Zillow is not a reputable company in regard to your property value! One day your home is worth, 698,000 and the next day real estate value dropped price 50%! Erased previous value stated. Then taxes should decrease 50% too! Tried calling to no avail! This is a fraudulent company! The person in Chicago is suing Zillow and there are going to be many others to follow suit! Recently, when filling out facts, I listed my email address. Contacted within five minutes of submitting email by one of your Zillow affiliated realtors "do you want to list your home?" We stated, "not at this time," politely... it is not for sale! Due to saying no, the realtor decreased our value online 50% off. Before the phone call listed $698,000 and the thereafter $343,000! Fraudulent at its finest~Zillow! Lawsuits galore future!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

I am here to complain as a homeowner of the unfair practices of Zillow in determining their “Estimates” in regards to the value of a house. I have complained to them several times about their unfair practices but now I find there is a home in my town that is same size and bedrooms, but not the amenities we have (HVAC air/heat, finished basement) and yet they calculate their “Estimate” to be over $55,000 more than my house. This is nothing more than a sham site and they should not be allowed to hurt homeowners in this fashion.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

Zillow blatantly lies about the historical "Zestimates" for our home. I regularly monitor my home's Zestimate, not because I'm interested in selling it--but because I want to know what my home is potentially worth. I checked today for the first time in perhaps a month and noticed it was $130,000. It seems to be creeping lower and lower. At point last year, it was Zestimated at $175,000. But I noticed that Zillow claimed my value was increasing by $10,000 over last month. Certainly not.

I looked at the chart that shows the Zestimates over the last 10 years or so. It was completely inaccurate. It claimed that in April 2013, my house was at a low of $45,000. I've lived here since January 2013 and it was *never* $46,000. Nor would my house have *ever* sold for less than $100,000 on the market. It also did not show the period last year where my Zestimate was over $150,000 for 7 months. That was erased to show a value of $100K-$110K over the same period instead.

Instead, it painted a rosy picture of a house increasing in value with the graph lines slowly going up. What a crock. I remember I emailed them a few years ago when they pulled this stunt before (I had never been under $100K at that point and suddenly I had a period that occurred 6 months in the past where I was only worth $70K) and they said I must have been mistaken. I must have looked at someone else's house. I'm not mistaken. Now you can't even contact them--there's no customer service e-mail address on their site and their Facebook page does not allow messaging.

Stop making my house look like a dump on your website by changing old numbers. We put $40,000 in renovations and significant upgrades into it in 2015 that is part of public records because we needed town permission and we had to pull permits--information that Zillow supposedly uses and has available to make these informed decisions of value.

I don't really care about the value, per se, but if Zillow is going to claim this as a tool--use it responsibly, don't lie and craft figures that are part of the "history" and change that "history" as you see fit. Once a month closes, you can't go back and change the numbers. That is dishonest and makes you completely unfit to do what you claim to do. I wonder how this affects other people who are selling their homes who have *never* checked their Zestimate?

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I am the owner/agent of a listing in Houston, Zillow is showing the listing as a foreclosure when it is NOT. They also give a foreclosure estimate that has nothing to do with reality. I have written 6 times to complain and the Houston Association of Realtors has written 2 times with no action on their part, all I get is an automated response saying they will look into it. This gives the consumer fraudulent information regarding this listing. They will not call me to explain their point of view and you can't call them. I would recommend to consumers not to rely on their listings.

Zillow.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Zillow was launched by two former Microsoft executives in 2006. It is owned by the Zillow Group and makes a profit by selling ad space on the website and through its partner with U.S. newspapers to provide real estate searches on their websites. Zillow lists all types of real estate available for sale and rent.

• Multiple search areas: Users can search for houses in select neighborhoods or areas simultaneously and exclude all homes listed outside of those areas. Site visitors can circle the area(s) they are interested in on a digital map and then apply filters to homes inside those areas.

• Zillow Digs: Zillow Digs, a portion of Zillow’s website, helps people find design and decoration inspiration. It shows pictures of both interior and exterior spaces and lists prices for materials used as well as an estimate for labor cost.

• Zillow Advice: The Zillow Advice section of the company’s website serves as a forum where individuals can ask and respond to real estate related questions. Users can sort by city or neighborhood to see discussions about problems or trends in their area.

• Sun NumberTM: Those interested in using solar energy will find Zillow’s Sun Number, which is listed on the page for each property. This number tells how well-suited the house is for installing solar panels based on the building type, climate, electricity cost and solar installation cost.

• Zestimate: Each house listed on Zillow has a Zestimate, which estimates the current market value of the house, the amount it could be rented for and whether the value is projected to increase or decrease over the following year.

• Best for: Zillow is best for house hunters, renters, homeowners and real estate agents.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs