1.27/5
Based on 112 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

402 Zillow.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

This is now the 2nd time we have been unable to claim our property listing after working with a realtor. We should not have to hassle or fight to do this as it is our own property! I can't believe how a company can continue to do business with a customer service support which is so poor--and nearly impossible to contact as this company is. Worst of all, they do not change.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

We purchased a model home directly from the builder last year. The house was listed at $990K, Zillow showed an estimate of $1.1M, however the official appraisals were in $900-920 range. We purchased the home for $870K. Three weeks after we closed the Zillow dropped the home estimate to $750K. I complained but they said that the price change is due to "changed algorithm" and refused to move it up despite my proofs (the professional estimates and the purchase price). I also argued that no algorithm could change the price from 1.1M to 750K. Interestingly, the builder also told us at the time of contract that the brand new home like ours would be worth 1.1M, thus I wonder if the Zillow's previous "estimate" was higher because it was paid for.

Get expert buying tips about Real Estate Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

I have been in Zillow & Trulia since March 2018 in different zip codes, 33332, 33331, 33028, 33015 paying a lot of money, their advice is that if I am in top 3 I will always get more business. I follow their advice and do it, and in 98% calls are fake or scam. Recently the new way of operation is supposed to be that they will received all leads, and ask the people if they are serious buyer or sellers and after that they will pass the call with an agent. That is totally false. Now, even less leads, just receiving calls of people that are only thinking in the future or that already have an Agent. ZILLOW IS STOLEN OUR MONEY, and nobody is doing nothing to stop it. PLEASE DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY, STAY AWAY.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I am talking about the 33010, 33012, 33013, 33014, 33015, 33016, 33018 zip codes here. But if you are working one of those, again stay away from Zillow, horrible experience. If you are a realtor thinking about buying their leads at least in this area, think twice or more. After 3 months, I am still waiting for closing at least one. You are better off using that money somewhere else. If you would like to try it anyway, do not sign a contract, do month by month so you can get out as soon as you realize you aren't going anywhere with them.

Their sales team will do everything in their power to trick you into buying though. Do not fall for it. They'll try to make you think that you are not working the leads like you are supposed to, but again, don't fall for it. There is a difference between a lead and just some random phone numbers contacting you because they don't know what they are doing, just don't know what they want. Most of them are trying to contact the owner of the property or trying to contact the listing agent, you'll even get calls from another realtor that thinks Zillow is the right place to contact another agent, even another realtor thinking you are the listing agent. Just terrible.

In particular, very bad experience with Jaime **, some team manager. Very bad experience with Davis **, a very good salesperson, though.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

When I google my address, Zillow brings up a line that says this house is currently not for sale, even though it's listed with over 900 realtors and it shows it for sale on its website. Also, when you look at the property history it says listing removed, which is completely false. What happened is a buyer signed a contract, then changed their mind. After the contract was signed, the realtor naturally listed it as pending sale. When it went back on the market, she removed the Pending sale-twice-but Zillow still shows listing removed. This site is completely incompetent.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zillow.com?

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I feel we have lost a lot of showings due to Zillow. They are saying that our home is worth 192,000 and we are selling it for 285,000. This is so inaccurate!! I commented on one of their post on Facebook and they deleted my comment not once but twice!!! I have emailed them. They said my request was received but nothing else!! I have had 2 people call me and say, "How can your home be only worth 192,000," and of course I explained. We have had 1239 views on our home and 1 showing. By the way our home is a 4 bedroom 2 1/2 bath over 2600 square feet and it sits on almost 12 acres of land and several other features that are listed with this property. The homes they are comparing them too are not even close to this. How can I get this resolved?? And who is gonna tell the over 1200 views that this info is so inaccurate??

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I looked on Zillow.com for a rental, thinking it was a reputable site. Looked at the listing. Drove by the location. Corresponded via the website regarding the rental. No pertinent information was exchanged. Was too good to be true. Looked up the address. House was not for rent. It had sold days earlier. Beware that scammers can access the site, thinking they can dupe innocent people. Attached are the emails that were corresponded.

Original review: July 30, 2018

I HAVE BEEN SCAMMED TWICE USING THIS SITE. IT IS A NIGHTMARE! The scammer posts BOGUS amounts and can even let you in the house. When I tried reporting them (WE FINALLY FOUND A PHONE NUMBER FOR ZILLOW) and the rep asked for the property address, the posts on Zillow had magically disappeared. I would stay away from Zillow! If your instinct says something doesn't feel right trust it! That's what I felt but kept on anyway. I decided to text the phone number provided and they said they had a daughter in stage 3 leukemia cancer. But what had me suspicious was putting question marks behind statements they would write me. If I asked a question and they answered hours later, it was always followed with a question mark.

I thought that was odd and happened throughout the conversation. Ohhh, read the Zillow disclaimer for fraud and scams...those were ALL the signs I had experienced. When we got to the house to view it, there was a sign on the door that said, "if you found this house on Craiglist, you have been scammed", so beware of Craiglist also. I am still waiting to hear back from Zillow to file a fraud/scam claim for 2 houses. There is usually a sign in front of the house, I would def call that number and inquire about what Zillow has posted...IT IS NOT THE SAME INFORMATION. TRUST ME! I almost gave my personal information. Luckily THE GOOD LORD STOPPED ME! BTW...Zillow and Trulia are the same. Good luck and God bless.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I have been attempting to use Zillow for many years but their Zestimates are way off! I recently tried to post a For Sale By Owner. I received an automated message indicating it could take up to 72 hours to post due to a verification process. It has been 96 hours and still nothing! And they don’t have a way to contact them except via email. I sent them an email and guess what? Still no response to either. I'm moving to Realtor.com. Much more reliable.

Original review: July 26, 2018

We have lost a buyer due to flawed Zestimate which is $65,000 lower than our professional market/bank appraisal. Texas is a non-disclosure state. Therefore Zillow cannot get comps. They guess at values. This is very damaging to the relationship between professional realtors and their buyers and/or sellers. Zillow offers no way to correct faulty and damaging information or to appeal the Zestimate. They also refuse to remove a listing. We can not get a response from them. This unilateral invasion of the local real estate industry is creating confusion, frustration and harm. Zestimates need to be stopped. Buyers must rely on the expertise of local realtors who know the market, the quality and condition of the homes, not a computer algorithm in Seattle.

Original review: July 17, 2018

We have our home listed for sale but agent is unable to make changes to Zillow and they do not have tax record information. The zestimate for the home is 200,000 below the value it should be at based on a home two doors down because Zillow has a second listing for the home has the correct tax information but the address is incorrect. It is a fraudulent address that does not exist in our city and due to it not being listed as on the market our agent cannot do anything with it.

Our neighbor home went back on the market same day and now has pending offer, its zestimate is correct and we have had no showings most likely due to your misinformation. Our agent is unable to make changes to the comparable properties, the site jumps to summary. Zillow has no contact number for such errors, we have used email and messenger to attempt to resolve this since time is of the essence, the only response is a computer generated one that refers me to the help section for instructions on what I am doing wrong.

Original review: July 17, 2018

First off, as an investor I have used Zillow for years to research and evaluate potential properties and to list renovated properties. It's a great site for that, just don't put an ounce of faith in their Zestimates, which they seem to pull out of a dark, unmentionable place of their anatomy. Look at recent neighborhood sales on the map instead.

Second, if you are looking for a realtor in a new market, by all means read Zillow's user reviews. Just don't contact the realtor through the website. Even when you go to the trouble to uncheck "tell me about financing and other offers", you will be INUNDATED with spam emails and texts. From mortgage lenders. From mortgage lenders. From other realtors. From any other random spammer/scammer that pays Zillow for its lead list. For the last 10 days, I have been pestered non-stop from phone numbers in the area code where I contacted the realtor through Zillow, including from "fundraisers" and "card services". It's just not worth it people. Take the realtor name and Google it. Contact them that way.

Original review: July 16, 2018

I have been attempting to delete an ad with no luck. First they mislabeled the ad as an apartment when it is a single family home. I tried to edit it, but it would not edit. I attempted to have them correct the issue, it only confused them at Zillow. They then have ignored me for over a month despite multiple emails and phone calls. I am quite upset as this can affect time it takes to place a tenant if the ad is not correct. I just want to delete the ad but there is no way to do that. I can deactivate it but not delete it. This makes no sense. The thing I am most upset about is not the initial mistake... I understand that things happen. I am more upset that Zillow has not gotten back to me to correct the issue. It shows a total lack of concern for its customers.

Original review: July 15, 2018

My US Bank mortgage officer advised me that when beginning a refi, they often start with Zillow to get a "ballpark" number on the property value. He advised me to go online and check my home value at Zillow. When I initially checked it, the value was listed as $287,000. Knowing the approximate values of the homes on my street over the past years of the recession, I felt this was probably accurate. Two weeks later I signed on again, because I had forgotten the figure. This time, I found it to have an increased value of $319,000. Praise God! In just two weeks, nonetheless! I thought to myself, that perhaps the rebounding economy in the last couple of years, and the recovering of the housing market was really working its magic.

One month after that logon, I'm pleased to announce that my home is now up to $360,000 in Zillow's opinion. I feel so sorry for all of the other 29 homes in my neighborhood, because their poor homes haven't increased in value at all, - just mine, and at this rate, I will be the proud owner of a million dollar home in just a few short years, amidst a street of $250,000 homes! Obviously, the idea is to show an increasing home value to a homeowner considering sale, which in turn make the property owners say to themselves, "wow, I really like this site Zillow. I think I will keep using it and perhaps even consider listing my property on this site!" Based on the other reviews concerning Zillow, I'm not sure that ANY of the data is trustworthy. Only the underlying map graphic is likely reliable.

Original review: July 7, 2018

I listed my property on Zillow Rental Manager a few weeks ago. Zillow verified the information and all seemed to be fine until I went to edit the listing. I received a message saying I'm not the owner. I was prompted to log in again for a password reset. Although the email listed is correct and the original one used to create the account, even after several tries I don't receive anything from Zillow for a reset. I left a phone message and have written customer service 3 times in the last 2 days. No response. Others who have written state they can't remove their listing. Hopefully that won't be the next problem I encounter. Very frustrating!

Original review: June 28, 2018

While just browsing I saw that Zillow and Trulia had my home on their site. It said that it was sold in May of 2005. I have owned my home since 1986 and it has never been sold. I wrote to Zillow to inform them of their mistake and got an email back asking for documentation. Documentation that my house hasn't been sold? Seriously? I asked them for documentation that it has. I would never use this company in any future purchases or transactions. They are ** backwards.

Original review: June 28, 2018

We will not recommend buying property from this agent (Lori)? She did false advertising on her listing and doesn't take any responsibility for it, We Purchased a home she was selling, and her ad says (New carpet and Tile throughout home. Beautifully cared for.). We purchased the home from CA. The pictures looked good. We never ask anything about condition of the floor because she advertised it as new. So you can go wrong with new Right? Well, when we arrived in Spring Hill to our home this is what we found. A horrible old carpet cover with stains! After closing escrow and everyone got their commission we found out it's about 10 years old. Let's hope she does the right thing. Will keep you posted.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I listed my home for sale by owner with Zillow and they have devalued my home every day since. The very same home two blocks from me is still showing $10,000 higher. What gives Zillow? Is this your way of appeasing the real estate agents or what? I certainly would have paid the same fee had I know this would happen otherwise. This information is on the internet now and the damage is done. If you're trying to sell on your own, don't use Zillow or Trulia; you're better off just sticking a sign in your yard and using social media to advertise.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I have had my home on Zillow as "For Sale By Owner" for months. I log on to the site daily. Upon logging in Remax had taken over my address and changed everything to an empty lot. I contacted them & they stated it was a Zillow issue. I reclaimed my property & it will not let me change the listing price back, the description, or any vital information so I can return my listing back to where it should be. I called them directly & I'm only able to leave voicemails with them NEVER returning my call. I have filled out all the forms on the "Help" section & nothing.

Original review: June 18, 2018

Tom ** handling of our four real estate transactions has far exceeded our expectations. Tom has consistently gone above and beyond his role as our realtor. His attention to detail and calm and friendly demeanor have served us well in the sale of two homes in Warwick and West Warwick and in the purchases and sales of two East Greenwich condominium units. In addition to being an established real estate broker, Tom is a skilled contractor who has accomplished several tasks for us that require knowledge in carpentry. This versatility of skills as well as his ability to effectively communicate with clients makes him uniquely qualified in his field.

Original review: June 18, 2018

I placed my home on sale a week ago and Zillow has yet to get the information right. They posted that we are a managed property and the lot size is 182.04 acres. Big difference from 0.45 acres. I have placed a call to Zillow and still haven't heard from them. My agent has attempted to correct the issues but with no luck. The views of the property are now at zero so I figure I am locked into a contract that will go nowhere. Don't trust or use Zillow if you have a choice.

Original review: June 15, 2018

We spend more than $35000 with a 6 month contract to barely get our money back, barely. Most leads were bogus, not real emails or telephone number, they did not call back, for rentals or houses that are pending already, from other areas we did not subscribe... we are never going to use this company. They sell space to too many agents and it is junk in junk out. We are happy to get our money back. But after 6 months of so much effort to break even is not worth at all.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Zillow has listed incorrect info on my home, but... more than that, they list my home as being sold on April 15, 2015 for $1 million dollars! I called their corporate office in Seattle, WA., I called them two weeks ago and only got voice mail. I left the info and my name a phone number and they never got back to me. Last week I called again. Still no reply. I then contacted a real estate agent listed on my home site, and received a call back. She said that she'll get back to me. That was two days ago. Now I have to contact the property people to see that my home is mine, even though I still get my property tax bill. Zillow is making me check out my own property when they could have had answered my questions and take off the "sold" info. Don't trust Zillow. They don't care about their bad info or the hardship they cause homeowners go through just to be sure that I am not a victim identity theft.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I’m a realtor in Orlando, FL. I had a lot of trouble when I was on Zillow with inaccurate data. They linked a brand new construction property I had recently closed, and was posted on Zillow, to a rundown mobile home that was never my listing. I called and emailed support several times and no one ever responded. So every time I got a sales call asking me to pay for leads and to get pushed in front of site users, I told them if they would fix that link I would consider paid advertising. The link was never corrected. I realized that Zillow was a lead generator for agents who pay and the data didn’t seem important to them in my opinion. The values are rarely accurate. There was a news article a while back about Zillow's CEO's own property being overvalued by 40% on Zillow compared to its sale price.

Also during the three years I had an account on Zillow, I was contacted by people claiming to want to see homes listed as active on Zillow but when I checked the MLS the properties were either in contract or had closed or were never in the MLS. I would send MLS reports to the people confirming status and they would reply, “But it’s on Zillow,” as if Zillow were infallible. Buyers beware of any properties you find on Zillow or any other 3rd party sites. There are so many scams in real estate right now and people are losing deposits and down payments through wire frauds and even in-person with contracts that appear legit. If you can’t find the contact person on a real estate company website to verify who they are, be very careful how you proceed.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Zillow has illegally listed my home on their website as a foreclosure. I have tried to contact them 5 times in the past 2 years. I am filing defamation charges against the company! They are horrible people who don’t have a clue what they are doing. Please check your address, they probably have your home listed in foreclosure!

Original review: June 13, 2018

I own a duplex and am trying to list it for rent on Zillow. Zillow shows that it is still for sale with a link from ERA realtors. This listing agent is who I purchased this home from. On the ERA realtor webpage it is listed as not for sale because I now own it. Zillow still has some kind of link to the original listing and will not update it or remove the inaccurate link. They are saying, "We cannot remove the link and it has to be done from the listing agent." I have told them I have contacted the listing agent and he has no active link. This is the ERA web link **. This is the Zillow link **. I am unable to list it for rent on Zillow until they fix this link. I have also offered to furnish any requirement of my ownership of this property.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I am trying to delete the listing I created. Delete, not deactivate. I simply want to completely delete it. Zillow has decided not to provide that feature, unlike every other application out there. THEY DO NOT LET YOU DELETE A LISTING. They make you send in an email, and then they ignore it. They do not let you delete listing, you cannot call them, and they do not reply to emails. DO NOT USE THIS SITE TO MANAGE YOUR PROPERTY.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I had a client review rejected for no specific reason. How is a client suppose to know what to edit in their review if Zillow does not tell them what needs to be revised. I also had several approved Zillow review posted and responded to back me deleted for no reason or explanation by Zillow. I asked Zillow to not contact me to advertise and I am still getting calls. I hope this site does not allow Zillow to delete this review as well.

Original review: May 26, 2018

I called about an apt for rent. The “owner” contacted me 5 days later saying he worked on an oil rig out of town. He sent a pic of his passport and asked for my ID to start application process which I sent. He says he rents through Home Away and wanted $800 up front then he would fly in from California to show me the apt, promising to return the money no questions asked if I decided not to take it. I googled the property and it is a shoe repair shop. He also wouldn’t call me to discuss in person saying he didn’t have cellphone service on the oil rig. He had an excuse about why the Home Away people couldn’t call me either. I regret that I sent my ID. I put out alerts on it in case they try to use it. I contacted Zillow and they said the ad had been taken down so they couldn’t do anything. So BEWARE OF SCAMMERS USING THIS SITE TO STEAL YOUR IDENTITY AND YOUR MONEY!!!

Original review: May 9, 2018

No words for these silver tongued devils! They promise great results and to provide exclusive leads. I keep finding out that other agents are working the same leads that are supposedly my exclusive leads. I have paid an incredible amount of money to these leeches only to have ZERO dollars in return. If agents would quit paying ZILLOW to take our inventory that we create and sell the leads back to us they would go away. It’s beyond comprehension how NAR, KAR and local MLS systems even have allowed this interloper to come in. ZILLOW is not a good investment for Realtors.

Zillow.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Zillow was launched by two former Microsoft executives in 2006. It is owned by the Zillow Group and makes a profit by selling ad space on the website and through its partner with U.S. newspapers to provide real estate searches on their websites. Zillow lists all types of real estate available for sale and rent.

• Multiple search areas: Users can search for houses in select neighborhoods or areas simultaneously and exclude all homes listed outside of those areas. Site visitors can circle the area(s) they are interested in on a digital map and then apply filters to homes inside those areas.

• Zillow Digs: Zillow Digs, a portion of Zillow’s website, helps people find design and decoration inspiration. It shows pictures of both interior and exterior spaces and lists prices for materials used as well as an estimate for labor cost.

• Zillow Advice: The Zillow Advice section of the company’s website serves as a forum where individuals can ask and respond to real estate related questions. Users can sort by city or neighborhood to see discussions about problems or trends in their area.

• Sun NumberTM: Those interested in using solar energy will find Zillow’s Sun Number, which is listed on the page for each property. This number tells how well-suited the house is for installing solar panels based on the building type, climate, electricity cost and solar installation cost.

• Zestimate: Each house listed on Zillow has a Zestimate, which estimates the current market value of the house, the amount it could be rented for and whether the value is projected to increase or decrease over the following year.

• Best for: Zillow is best for house hunters, renters, homeowners and real estate agents.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

Zillow.com Company Information

www.zillow.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business