1.42/5
Based on 148 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Zillow.com

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 20, 2018

332 Zillow.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

My husband and I purchased a home in a Los Angeles market in 2014. Home values here, as in many markets the past 4 years, have skyrocketed. Two years ago Zillow, and therefore Trulia, dropped the home value estimate of our property by approximately 200K in this rapidly increasing market. Assuming they would eventually remedy their error, I did nothing. Finally decided to email them and received a form letter, generic response referring me to their site for their estimate process and informing me in bold italics that they DO NOT edit estimates in response to customer feedback. How about if you acknowledge a glitch/error though and actually look at the individual case? Redfin and realtor.com both have us 200K higher than they do. Most people seem to know that Zillow estimates are all over the place and therefore mostly useless but there are those who are unaware of this and Zillow can hurt a home’s marketability with their misinformation.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

Total waste of time and money. $2700/month for 6 months. Do not get suckered into this for any amount per month. ROI quoted is complete nonsense. They just sent me a lead for low income housing and to top it off, this person was already represented. Rep says "Hmm, it's not suppose to work like that." Another one of their tricks is when leads start to slow, most likely because of a survey I filled out that outlined my complete and utter dissatisfaction, I would complain and sure enough, they would start coming in again. Again, rep denies being able to affect this at all. How exactly then is it that I get exactly 12-13 leads a month, no more, not less??

Another issue being these are not quality leads in the least bit. They like to say it's because of my conversion rate...please explain to me how to convert someone who already has an agent, or tells me they just wanted to ask the listing agent a question. TOTAL RIPOFF! Please feel free to contact me with questions as to my experience. This is unfortunately my first of many, many posts as to the illegitimacy of Zillow's Premier Agent program.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I live in a cookie cutter retirement community, all models are very similar. Zillow has me at 15% less than two neighbors within a hundred feet who have the identical home model. Questions to their "non" customer service get script replies, probably robot driven. I gave up, just worthless.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

I just requested a review of my home and Zillow responded quickly. I feel it was accurate and professional. I'm looking to refinance my home and find a good refinance company. This is always confusing and I hope my report from Zillow will help make things easier.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

We have been owners of our property over 16 years. Zillow has posted that our house was sold in June of 2017 for $4000.00. This house has only had ONE owner! They also have that this house estimated worth $4500.00. I have no idea where they get their information from! I have emailed them and received a call from a local realtor. Zillow has also received a call from me. I have yet to receive a call to correct this matter. Let me add this house is worth around 170,000. When we get ready to sell this property in several months I fear their posting will interfere with our bottom line because people seem to believe everything on the Internet these days. I wish I could rate 0 stars. My statement to you is if they are this unprofessional to homeowners how will they truly treat the buyer? Good luck and never believe posts on the Internet, do your own research!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zillow.com?

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

Caution consumers, this company is concerned about money and that's all. I'm a real estate professional with 40 years experience and had to terminate my advertising contract with Zillow because they constantly misguided consumers with inaccurate data, failed to update their data, or ignored status changes on listings. And dare anyone reading this to try to reach these knuckleheads about a problem. Trust me, you'll yank your hair trying. They know exactly what they're doing and do not have the courage put a customer support number up. I'll tell you this though, call their sales department and you'll get your call will be answered in a matter or a few rings. Do yourself a favor professional and avoid them. I was a zip code subscriber and all you get is unqualified garbage from them. I'm filing a complaint with the State of Illinois and the MLS in the morning.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

This complaint is a caution for both buyers and sellers. Zillow's site is comparing my home for sale to a land-only parcel, yet they display a photo of a large brand-new home, including pricing, number of bedrooms and bathrooms, and square feet of living space in their "comparable homes in your area." Zillow clearly does not curate their information in any way. Zillow reports to viewers that this non-existent home has 5 bedrooms and 5 baths, with 3532 sq ft. If the user clicks on the link, Zillow repeats all this nonsense on a new page - only in the small text description below this will the reader finally discover that it is fact an empty lot. (It is a few blocks from my house.)

Zillow takes the time to point out that my (3 bedroom) house has 2 fewer bedrooms than this phantom house when in fact is has 3 more; Zillow points out that my (2704 sq ft) house has 828 sq ft less than this phantom house when in fact is has 2704 sq ft more, and so on with the number of bathrooms. Not surprisingly, Zillow's non-existent house is over $200,000 less in price than my house. Most Zillow viewers, never navigating to the small text on the linked page, will think my house is way overpriced. Zillow's un-curated, algorithm driven website is a disservice to both buyers and sellers. This gross negligence is yet one more instance of the worthlessness of Zillow.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Don't get too upset by the so called Zestimate. You will probably find is NOT VERY ACCURATE. In fact it probably has used incorrect criteria for coming up with this supposed market value. As a licensed Realtor for over 30 years I have to laugh when I see what their "logarithm" has used as comps. They are NOT UP TO DATE and from my experience are a very poor choice. Zillow states that this is a starting point... Pretty bad starting point in most cases. It is hard enough for people to go through selling a home but then you have to explain a Lowball Zestimate to a potential buyer who thinks something from Zillow should be credible. Get your local Realtor to do a comprehensive market analysis which will use up to date comps near your home and ones which better reflect the type of home you are selling and located in a like neighborhood. Zillow is a good tool for finding homes for sale in a given area, but not for determining value of a property.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

I gave my realtor a 5 star rating. She was professional and a great asset to selling my home. I had all the confidence in the world and trusted Pam from Century 21 White House Realty wholeheartedly. I am so glad she was the person that sold my home. She kept me in the loop and had constant contact on what was happening every day with my home.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I listed my 20+ acre Avocado Ranch w/ 3-bed, 3-bath home located in Moorpark for $1.6+ mil. Over a year later I reduced the price several times to $1.4 + mil. It never sold. My neighbors' homes are valued at $2 mil to $3+ mil. Zillow estimated value was $600K, that's over a million dollar decrease (reduction). It's no wonder that my property did not sell. Thanks Zillow for all your dirty, and unreliable work, you should be held responsible for my loss and everybody else that lost money from your incompetent, unreliable company. I will never recommend your company.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I listed my rental property through my Real Estate Broker/Agent. The square footage of the house is grossly overstated and deceptive to anyone looking at the listing. Both I and my Agent have been unable to correct via the Zillow website. Zillow website offers an option for owners of rental properties to manage information. When I clicked on this option, I was directed to another page that said something like "Oops - Nobody Home". The Zillow website continues to report incorrect information about my property.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

Every day I have to babysit this stupid site. On some days it is within 20K of my asking price, which is bad enough, but then within an hour of looking it drops down to sometimes 100K less. My home has been on the market for 107 days... and according to my agent they use Zillow because the majority of home buyers use Zillow for their search.

I have complained and threatened legal action. They have responded... but, have not resolved the problem. They say is with their algorithm. However, I have found a way to trick their system - or reboot it - go into the owner's dashboard and make one simple change. Deselect the appliances or some other feature, save. Go back and add them back in. It reboots their ridiculous system. I hope this helps. And if anyone wants to storm the Bastille with me let me know.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

Zillow published their version of the value of my home. Their information is incorrect and they have not received my permission to publish. Since the entire home buying public can view this information, it puts all home sellers at a huge disadvantage. HOME SELLERS- BEWARE! Zillow should NOT be publishing ANY information about your home. Highly suggest that you give them poor ratings to protect others.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

Listings for apartments are outdated. Trying to reach anyone with a current listing is nearly impossible. Using this site is just a big waste of time. Better off doing some leg work a canvassing some neighborhoods on your own.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

Nothing seems to work on their site anymore, and I can't find anyone to answer questions. The latest is the error code 404 which stops anyone from listing a property for sale. I see where lots of people have inquired about it over the last few months, but I don't see a single reply from Zillow. Does anyone know what's going on there? Are they still in business?

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

The Zillow estimate is totally inaccurate and bases the comps on very "unlike" homes. DO NOT let this be your guide whatsoever. BIG waste of time. Buyers do not use Zillow estimate as any type of accurate appraisal. I have called and emailed Zillow on multiple occasions with ZERO response.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

I have been searching since March 2017 for property in the Caribbean. Traveled to more than 12 islands looking for the right spot to retire. We chose Puerto Rico in May and started with 212 homes to look thru. We narrowed it down to 11 and then the Hurricanes hit. We even traveled after the Hurricanes to see if the properties fared okay and which we would be interested in. We narrowed that search to 3 properties at that time. We had already been in touch with numerous realtors trying to get more responses from them, letting them know we would be on the island searching, and wanting to look into the properties.

We got somewhat of a "Great! See you when you land!" from a realtor. But other than that no response while we were on the island. Nor for a week after. We looked at the homes and decided on one of the three. Finally got a mortgage company to work with us. He took all of our personal and business info and our tax forms, bank statements etc. And that was it. Never heard a word, checked our credit to see if it had been pulled to verify for the mortgage and nothing was done.

Since then we gave up on that home and found one even cheaper that was second in line. We offered to pay cash and even fly out to pay in person. It took a week but got a response. The response came on a Thursday saying "what time on Monday would be good to call and talk about your inquiry". I responded back several text messages and never heard another word. I even explained the time difference to make certain their time was correct.

Monday came, no call. Are these people wanting to sell their properties? Are they so lame as to think this is the ordinary way to do business? If I were to treat my customers with such disrespect I would be out of business within a week. Since we have all but given up on this area. We are now making a trip to island hop onto previous islands and some new islands to see if we can find somewhere else more suitable. Maybe Zillow should talk with some of these realtors about how to do business. Or banish the ones that do not take care of their customers' needs.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I was stupid enough to fill out a form, which made it seem like general info, or maybe a few emails would be sent. Within a couple of hours my phone was receiving non stop emails, texts, calls, and voicemails. Not only did Zillow blow up my phone from multiple numbers after I blocked them, but they gave my number out to what seems like hundreds of Realtors and lenders for cold calling. I'm always careful to uncheck the subscribe to emails and contact me fields, and am positive I implied I already had a realtor.

Now, I receive hundreds of calls, and if I block them they reach out another way! I sent a customer service request to Zillow, and they had the nerve to send me instructions on how to unsubscribe from the typical marketing emails as if I was some moron imagining my phone going off day and night (if it was an email with an unsubscribe link or an account setting don't you think I'd figure that out before suffering for days with this crap?). There's no way to block all these third parties and the many numbers Zillow uses. Zillow, Quicken Loans, and any other realtor/lender interfering with my life to the point of me needing to change my number or risk losing my consulting career have lost all potential business. I doubt any of them would appreciate being spammed every 10 minutes. No one feels comfortable trusting such a large purchase with some desperate creep over the phone.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I'm interested in renting a house and I've inquired about 5 or so properties and called about 3 times with no answer. I do live in another state from where I'm inquiring about but I'm a little annoyed that I've gotten no contact back.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

Est. price dropped 59% overnight - Zillow sends periodic estimates to homeowners even if their property is not on the market. Other units in the complex are selling for $335 to $375 K. I had a major remodel and upgrade two years ago. Zillow dropped their estimate to $153K overnight, and cannot provide any explanation for this. I do not like to be put off with canned comments and airy references to neighborhood values and algorithms. This is not an explanation.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

The company appears to estimate property via house sold in area. However it does not take into consideration the amount of property with the house. My house is on 6 acres not a standard lot. Drastically affecting the value and sale of my house. It's impossible to get in contact with the company. This can cost me 75,000 plus.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

The company was not consistent with the rules for listing a property for rent on its site. I followed another listing doing exactly the same thing and was decline. When I pointed out that I followed a listing at the same building, I received no reply. Also the only inquiries for rent I received was trollers. I now use VRBO; it's a real site for renting your property.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

I had listed my home with a broker. They listed it at several sites including Zillow. At the time, I was not aware of the workings or MOs of Zillow. I saw that Zillow started to show my listing along some very bad listings with a much lower sales prices. I asked my Broker to take the listing off this criminal company called Zillow. He said he cannot take it off and Zillow kept reducing their self-created, fraudulent "Z estimates", from $389,000 to $268,000. I had recently spent close to $50,000 for improvements that Zillow had not seen and had also not compared the sales in immediate area. I lost more than $70K because of Zillow and my Broker who works with Zillow.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

We purchased our house 2 years ago for one million six hundred which was the appraised value. It is on tax roll for one million seven hundred. We listed it last year for 2 million after extensive upgrades. Zestimate was 1.5 and dropped to 980,000. After repeated phone calls and emails they informed me that they can't do anything! Not look at comp sales, not look at taxes nor sales record from two years previously. They are damaging us and many others financially with incorrect info!!! They need to remove the Zestimate!!! We would like to know how to let our house and keep it off Zillow??? Are there any class action suits against them??

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

The ease of use cannot be any better. Excellent for user friendly content. Notifies me daily, of existing properties available in the locales of my choice, 7 days a week.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Been using Zillow for years. They are behind in updating the info. on homes that are contingent, pending or sold. Cannot depend that their info. is accurate. Like the way the website is set up. It's just too bad that current updates on some properties are lagging.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

My home (** Phx, AZ) was listed briefly through a realtor, who I fired for incompetence, and the Zillow Zestimate was $445,000 while listed. I subsequently listed this property on Zillow as a For Sale by Owner (FSBO) listing & the Zestimate home value dropped to $415,000, a 6% drop. I contacted Zillow via email to question of their proprietary algorithm for Zestimates included an added it listed through a realtor. Zillow responded with a "non-denial denial". It is obvious from my experience that Zillow disadvantages FSBO properties by reducing their values by 6% compared to exact same property listed thru realtor. The realtor we originally used was awful. I requested several times she perform a Comparative Market Analysis since your home has several premium features compared to other homes sold in same neighborhood. She either didn't want to or didn't know how to do this.

I performed the CMA myself & determined a market value of $485k to $495k for my home based on Comparable properties sold w/in last five months in same subdivision Since it is a Buyer's market in our area & we want to sell within 30 days, we are asking $458,000. This reduced price has nothing to do with not using a realtor. If the market were a Seller Market & we had 90 to 120 days to sell we would have listed for $490,000. In fact, I believe the information I am providing to potential buyers is superior to that thru a realtor. The bottom line here is that Zillow is being very devious w/ their listing service of FSBO properties by purposely lowering their Zestimate values by 6% to favor properties listed through Realtors. Lastly, I am an engineer & mathematician by trade so I know of what I write & speak.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

My experience with Nicole ** was a great experience, she worked with me to make sure I got one of the greatest deals out there while looking for a home, she was very instrumental in making sure I find the best bargain and she was with me from the beginning until the closing date. I recommend that she was the best Realtor Agent I'd work with, she kept me informed well and complete. Thank You.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

My fiancé and I are currently in the process of looking for houses and we have been casually searching for the last 2 months. Today, we just came across our THIRD falsely reported open house. I just shrugged off the other two, but I can no longer keep my mouth shut. Today is October 29th and we went to this house (Image below) around 1:30 pm. There was no open house sign but an agent was there for a "showing". We questioned the agent and he confirmed that there was no open house today. With frustration, we double checked the date and time and left upset, even though Zillow has it listed for an open house today.

It is extremely frustrating when we are looking for houses and we continuously come across these falsely reported open houses. Even though our timeframe for a house is still approximately 12 months out, we are in the process of doing our research and figuring out what type of home we would like to purchase. On our last open house (2 weeks ago) It was very embarrassing to approach a house in which the current homeowners are home and are surprised when they answer the door. Needless to say, I will not be using Zillow for our house hunting and I highly discourage others from using this site as well.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

They make homeowners wait over 72 hours just to get your home listed for sale!! Yet they let the realtors list the same day, just unfair. They also they gave my home a terrible home Estimate: It went up and then down hurting my home to get sold. I even increased the value of my home with recent work yet they refuse to change their estimate. They really they to make better changes to their system.

Zillow.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Zillow was launched by two former Microsoft executives in 2006. It is owned by the Zillow Group and makes a profit by selling ad space on the website and through its partner with U.S. newspapers to provide real estate searches on their websites. Zillow lists all types of real estate available for sale and rent.

• Multiple search areas: Users can search for houses in select neighborhoods or areas simultaneously and exclude all homes listed outside of those areas. Site visitors can circle the area(s) they are interested in on a digital map and then apply filters to homes inside those areas.

• Zillow Digs: Zillow Digs, a portion of Zillow’s website, helps people find design and decoration inspiration. It shows pictures of both interior and exterior spaces and lists prices for materials used as well as an estimate for labor cost.

• Zillow Advice: The Zillow Advice section of the company’s website serves as a forum where individuals can ask and respond to real estate related questions. Users can sort by city or neighborhood to see discussions about problems or trends in their area.

• Sun NumberTM: Those interested in using solar energy will find Zillow’s Sun Number, which is listed on the page for each property. This number tells how well-suited the house is for installing solar panels based on the building type, climate, electricity cost and solar installation cost.

• Zestimate: Each house listed on Zillow has a Zestimate, which estimates the current market value of the house, the amount it could be rented for and whether the value is projected to increase or decrease over the following year.

• Best for: Zillow is best for house hunters, renters, homeowners and real estate agents.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

Zillow.com Company Information

www.zillow.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use