Zillow.com

Compare Real Estate Websites

Research top Real Estate Websites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I tried listing my home for sale by owner and despite repeated efforts and multiple phone calls with their "customer service" over two weeks, they cannot do it. However, the home does show up on Zillow as being for sale a long time ago when it was in very poor condition (foreclosure), with terrible pictures and it shows an extremely deflated value. Despite repeated attempts to "edit" the home facts and upload pictures after all of the major improvements we made, the old data is all that shows on Zillow. I think they are totally reliant on algorithms and automation and when something is wrong, they don't have the manpower or expertise to correct it. They must get sued a lot because this is the equivalent of house "defamation" if I could say it that way.

I reported a fake listing to Zillow almost 2 months ago and the listing is still posted. The phone number is not the homeowner's phone number. In fact the property has been sold for over 2 month. When I contacted the owner phone number on the listing he asked me for a showing fee. Obviously a fake since he wanted me send the money Western Union.

We had the most awful experience selling our home. The realtor we chose was constantly barking orders what we needed to do and how we would be sued if we didn't do this and that. We finally had to tell her we didn't want her around us and things she told us to do backfired at closing... She cost us thousands of dollars.

Come to how I tried to review her on Zillow.

My first draft was denied because they said I couldn't use the word lawsuit in it... My second and third draft were denied as well saying I had to be nicer. Finally they approved my review. 10 minutes later the realtor was given a chance to reply. She called my husband and I crazy. Told us she would sue us for libel and defamation and she talked about financial details of our closing!!! This woman is off her rocker and we knew it but Zillow allowed her to spew venom. So scary we were afraid at night she would come and take us out!

Then a month later Zillow allowed her to call her previous clients and write five star reviews about 50 of them so you can't even see my review. Zillow is a scam and you cannot see what consumers need to see. Had we seen a truthful review on this realtor the way she really is we never would have used her. Just a warning.

How does this company stay in business. They don't answer the phone, mailbox is full so you can't leave a message. They don't respond to emails. Unable to post a listing which is what I assumed their business handles. They will ultimately fail... No way they can sustain. To top it off, their website is disastrous.

I put all the information in the listing 7 days ago and still shows I have no listings. I sent 3 emails into customer service and NO RESPONSE. Called their # 206 470 7000... a recording answered and said the mailbox is full! Amazing and very SAD.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zillow.com?

Unbelievable! Zillow is charging me for their mistake! Told rep I wanted to cancel and when I confronted her after being charged again she lied to her boss and told him I told her I was "still thinking about it". I even talked with the sales supervisor and he says there is nothing more they can do and it was a "miscommunication". Hah! Agents, do NOT pay to advertise on Zillow, it is a waste of money and they do not have their customer's best interests in mind.

I'm a real estate broker, in the business for a dozen years here in Miami, Fl. Recently, someone created a fake profile on Zillow and left me a negative 1 star review. In the review, they complain about a situation that I have never been party to. The name of the reviewer is also foreign to me as I have never heard of nor have I done business with anyone by that name. I have made numerous attempts to have this removed and Zillow refused to cooperate or look into it. The few times that I've received a response it's from some robot, cutting and pasting troubleshooting tips. The statements made are defamatory to my name and character and Zillow does nothing about it.

Now, every time someone sees my listings on Zillow, my bad rating and negative review comes up. Their solution is that I ask all my past clients to write reviews for me so my score goes back up and isn't so badly affected by the bad review. But I'm not going to start begging my past clients to write reviews for me. Also, they suggested that I post a response to the review, but even in posting the response, this shines a negative light on me. The only time they have called me back and I've been able to speak to a human is when I sent a request to the sales department. Of course, they called me right away. Terrible company.

I have sent several emails and complaints to Zillow for inaccurately reporting the estimate of our homes value. Zillow has no right to publish the value of our home without using sold comparables, including the price that we purchased it for. Their estimate is far below the actual value and publicly posting their unverified value is misleading and diminishes our resale value. Their actions are negligent and are costing homeowners, real estate agents, and buyers millions of dollars.

Zillow has zero experience in Real Estate Appraisals or Estimated Value. They also keep outdated numbers and listings posted in order to not mess up their algorithms. For example: I had my house listed for $165,000 for over a month and Zillow along with other Realtor "Guesstimates of Value" stated my houses estimated value was the same as selling price. The day I dropped my selling price, the "Zestimate" dropped by almost $10,000, severely damaging the proposed value of my house to prospective buyers. This company along with its sister site "Trulia" need to be removed from the Real Estate listing business, or have the right to "Zestimate" the value of your property taken away from them... MAJOR RIPOFF... AND THAT APPLIES TO ANY COMPANY THAT FOLLOWS THEIR LEAD...

Zillow is showing my home as having been sold last month for a price lower than I paid. I purchased the house three and a half years ago. It was NOT sold last month for the price that they list. These are absolute facts which are incorrect. This is not a matter of a low estimate based on facts. They publish incorrect information which is harmful to me if I list my house, and harmful to anyone in the neighborhood who are currently selling. Zillow is breaking the law and may be damaging individuals financially.

Ever since Zillow.com merged with Trulia they have implemented dozens of changes to my account without letting me know. I have a "contract" and pay $$ every month under the original contract before merger. Cannot imagine how this is a legal business practice since I'm under the original contract. How can they keep making changes that affect the outcome of what I'm paying for? Horrible customer service. Very shady to say the least!

As a Real estate Agent, my experience with Zillow pretty much matches the dissatisfaction of others reviewing this company. I have 2 listings for the same address. It is a farm, & it can be purchased 2 different ways. The listings are separate & different & posted in my Listing service. For the 3rd time in about 10 months, after about 60 days on Zillow their system combines the 2 listings into one. The one Zillow creates is the 2 acre price on the 55 acre listing. It locks me out of editing. This has happened to me for the 3rd time.

I start getting inquiries that become pissed off potential clients. Try to get ANY response from Zillow? They could care less. I have tried multiple times to get a response from this company to explain to me what is happening with my posts. You're wasting your time sending emails to their customer disservice. Try & call their C.S. phone? Any menu choice you try results in the system hanging up on you. As an agent, show all your clients Zillow's disclaimer. It will clear up any questions you might have regarding what Zillow thinks of the accuracy of what's posted, and that they don't care.

Zillow has zero customer service. They also keep outdated numbers and listings posted in order to not mess up their algorithms. It is not a good site to get professional real estate advice from. Zillow is only in business from real estate agents providing them all of their listings. They give nothing back to real estate professionals. 95% of the time the agent you contact about a listing knows nothing about the listing. The only reason that agents has his or hers info there is because they paid Zillow to advertise them. This is misleading the public in believing the agent they contacted represents the seller. They do not. Be aware when you deal with them. Buying a home is an important decision.

When I was attempting to update my agent profile on Zillow, I realized there were 3 different profiles of myself. I first tried to log in to each profile to see if I could delete the profiles myself however Zillow doesn't grant you that option. I've submitted several emails requesting them to remove my profiles from their website. I've not heard back from them and the profiles are still up. There's no one I can talk to over the phone and no one responds back to my emails. But, if you're an agent looking to become a premier agent with them, guess what? They have a number for you and you can actually speak to someone to get that taken care of!!! Why? Because they want your money. They'll put you on the back burner if you just have one of their free sites.

Zillow has FALSE info listed on their site about my HOME/PROPERTY. I have had people contact me about my home and they said they got their info from zillow and wanted to argue with me, telling me that I didn't know my own home. I don't feel that they have any right or business putting my info out for the general public to have access to. Tried contacting them and ended up talking to some of their agents, they said there is nothing they can do and refused to give me a phone number to the corporate office. I just want my info removed from their system. If they insist on invading people's privacy and causing stress/headaches by posting FALSE INFO, why deal with them? If an Attorney would like to contact me about zillow's invasion of privacy, I will gladly talk to you.

Been trying for over a month to get a agent to work with us in purchasing a retirement home in Georgia. Sent of many inquiries into prospective properties but with barely any returned calls. Also I have found that a lot of the homes we are interested in have been sold for many months. Also many homes are pending for months. There have been several homes we are interested in but no response to our inquiries. This makes it very difficult to make plans to travel from Ohio to Georgia to purchase a home first week of march 2017. Maybe I should reconsider Georgia and consider Alabama.

I want to give this warning to real estate agents and loan officers that are being constantly solicited by Zillow to purchase their "leads". I know this after depositing $1500 with them for the "leads". They were running a promotion where they would add an addition $250 after my initial deposit. They would keep the leads at approx $30 per lead, all purchases, and in the counties of my choice. Sounded like a winner. I started receiving leads after my initial deposit. One per day just as they discussed. Most of the leads did not even expect a call afterwards, so expectations were not set properly from the get go. I continued to work these leads for 30 days.

After 30 days I checked my Zillow Lender Hub account only to find out that my average lead cost was almost double what they initially told me and they were giving me leads in different counties and zip codes. So my funds that were supposed to last 60 days, were almost gone. This was concerning to me. The straw that broke the camel's back was a $600,000 refinance lead for a woman that could barely speak English in a city I wasn't targeting. She wasn't expecting somebody to contact her. This lead cost... $91 dollars. More than 3 times the cost initially quoted me. So the cost of the leads was through the roof expensive and they never gave me the $250 bonus per the initial agreement.

I called to speak with a rep and they said, "Oh Yea we forgot about that!" Mentioned the cost per lead, the wrong areas, the refinance, and the $250 and somehow someway they found nothing wrong with any of that and did not a thing to make it right. Told him I was going to "PAUSE" my account and let them make a good decision. Now 7 months later haven't heard a word from Zillow, they still have approx. $600 of my own funds plus the $250 that is owed to me. Moral of the story: Do Not Under any circumstance do business with Zillow/Trulia because they are dishonest with their advertisers and in business. The customer is never right in their eyes. They are sure to lose much more than the amount they are short changing me on with these fraudulent practices. Trulia/Zillow make a bad name for us professionals that are doing the right thing on a regular basis.

I am a builder in the Seattle/East side and have been getting soliciting calls from Zillow to advertise my projects. These calls come from people that don't know construction or this market wasting my time. We have our agents that get paid 10k-24k to get each property sold-why is Zillow calling the builder and pull me away from our work. Get a clue how this industry works.

Zillow is a popular internet real estate company that will place your property on their website using false third party information without the owner's permission. Furthermore, they will refuse to remove it after you contact them. They will attempt to extort homeowners by strong-arming individuals to sell their property for the amounts they see fit sort of like the mob in NYC!!! Zillow will attempt to willow you out of your hard worked money. Stay away from such a corrupted internet business!

Consumer Increased Rating!

I finally got a response that the sale price has been fixed. Not happy that it took months to get it taken care of, but relieved that it is finally corrected.

Danielle of Champaign, IL on

Original Review

I recently bought a house and had it saved under my Zillow favorites. After several months, I noticed the sale price was updated (the price I bought it for) and the price was missing a 0! So instead of the total being $***,000 it posted on Zillow as $**,*00. I reported the listing for wrong sale price THREE times after getting no help. They originally requested I send them my official sale documents for proof of the purchase price. I didn't feel comfortable sending them those documents, so I sent them the public record I found online of the home in my name and the correct sale price. I never got a response after that! I sent follow up messages asking why the price is not being updated and have been ignored.

Is that even legal to publicly post a sale price that is not at all accurate? Especially since I provided proof of this. I am concerned this false sale price will create problems in the future if I ever want to sell the house (ex: people wondering what was wrong with it to be sold previously as one of the cheapest houses in the whole city). I can imagine many people believe Zillow's information is 100% accurate, so this to me is a big problem that is not being solved.

I had a horrible experience with a real estate transaction where the agent was serious negligent and I was left with a big mess, both property and financial. When I reviewed the agent on Zillow, they were very strict about what I could write and kept sending it back for editing. They stated that I needed to stick with the transaction... I was rating the agent AND the transaction. I deleted about half of what I wanted to say and felt any consumer would want to know about before choosing someone to represent them in the purchase of a home.

Finally, they approved my review (which didn't cover most of the experience) and then agent was allowed to respond. She basically stated that none of it was true. They allowed her to do what they would not allow me. I felt it was biased toward the realtor and really unfortunate. This agent was super nice, like a sheep in wolves clothing. She and so many like her are changing our world to be unsafe for consumers. Since the realtor is the paying customer... the consumer beware.

I handed Zillow over $5500 for leads under contract as a Premier Agent and have NOTHING to show for it. All leads were junk. Half of the leads would not return a phone call or an email message. The other half could not afford to buy a house. Those I actually met were already working with shady lenders or trying to overcome severe limitations that only time and hard work will fix.

Not only is the ZEstimate for nearly all homes consistently incorrect, but it is simultaneously the most common go-to source used by all persons seeking to buy a pre-owned home. And those two simple facts alone are what greatly influence the price which a homeowner can reasonable expect to sell their home for. Most persons who do not own a home yet and are in the buying market, are most likely completely unaware of this fact. And therefore they will very likely take the ZEstimate at face value. Zillow falsely misrepresents home values across America. And it should be a crime. There is no chance that I would ever support, or purchase any service from any entity such as this.

Overall I like Zillow but they have a serious security issue. In the past two weeks, Dec 17 - Dec 29 three (3) houses have popped up on my alert for areas I am interested in relocating to, that were scams. How it works (1)... A house is listed by an agent that is actually for sale. The scammer comes in and claims the house as their own, changes the price to a great deal (sometimes but not always) and then adds their cell number to call or text directly. After a brief exchange the scammer will tell you they are receiving many inquiries as ask for an escrow to be sent to an account. The bank is always legit but the account names are individual names as opposed to title companies.

Once you send the money it is gone. The scammer will withdraw or move the money to a place it cannot be touched while sending you an "escrow receipt" which is completely meaningless. Scam 2 follows all the steps except that the house was never listed by agent, the scammer simply picked a pick of any home on Zillow, claimed it as their own, and then list themselves as the seller.

What to watch out for: If the deal is too good to be true... it is. The seller asks for money right away, offers to send keys, receipts, or something that doesn't sound right. The seller request money to be sent to a personal account. The seller request money to be sent to an account not in their name. The seller uses odd terms, the numbers don't match, or a check of home records is different that the person who claims to be talking to you. The seller uses terms like "accounting officer" "personal assistant" "security deposit", etc. The seller uses common names such as Jones, Brown, Archibald, or if Spanish, Rosario, etc. The seller is focused more on getting the money before inspections or showing the home. Zillow needs to create a security boundary that requires proof before an non-agent can claim a home. Most listings are legit but it only takes a couple to wipe out a person's bank account.

Initial purchase price was correct but square footage included square footage added one year later at an expense of $112,000. Added an upgrade on my home; Zillow dropped the estimate by $5,000. Removed the update and Zillow dropped the value another $2,000. Very disturbing as many people look to Zillow for an good approximation of the value of their property. Zillow presently shows my property at 75% of its market value. Zillow does not provide any contact information that would allow identification of this problem and resolution with a human being.

I hate Zillow. Their data is inaccurate and their customer service department/phone center is a joke. They do not listen to you speak and they continuously get rude and hang up on you on the phone. They have the worst customer service call center I have ever come across. This is the third time I've have a bad experience with them - the first time was a few years ago and now I've had the same issue twice this past week. HORRIBLE!!!

I currently subscribe to Zillow paying substantially extra for their alleged "concierge" service. So far my experience has been a waste of time and a money drain. I cannot even begin to say how extremely dissatisfied I am. I warn all real estate agents who may be thinking about buying into Zillow/Trulia to stay away and use your marketing dollars for just about anything else.

Mister ** gave me a great advice about Real State. He showed me some houses around Tampa FL. 33619. He was knowledge about his job as a realtor. Showed me the pros and con and which area has good School. I can say that he is wonderful and hoping to get a house from him.

I have a house which has 3,277 sq ft. On the same community on the same street, you can say in front of my house which has only 2,672 sq ft. The Zestimate of my neighbor is 719,294 and mine is 650,967. The difference of the sq ft is 605 sq ft. Of course mine is bigger. I also did remodeled my 2 bathrooms. So I decided to file a dispute, then I found out that in order to do that I have to go through the agent. This is what this company is doing. The agent has to pay Zillow the advertisement fee. So if you go through the agent they will fix the price for you. I, myself is a real estate appraiser, so I know what this company is doing. This company is a scam. It's not reliable. If you want to know more just go to Zillow.com and click the dispute button then you will find out what I am talking about.

At first I was getting lots of actual honest leads. Then things started to slow down - lots of fake telephone numbers, lots unanswered calls, disconnected numbers, people who weren't qualified or clueless. Then the leads just slowed down considerably. They said it was due to the fact that there were more realtors signing on in the area and that more exposure required more money. The Trulia part was supposed to give sellers info which was equally dissatisfying. Then quitting took weeks until I finally destroyed my debit card to make sure they would stop debiting the account.

There is a fake online form that makes you think that you have unenrolled, no phone numbers listed for that purpose and no feedback. I filled that out and found out the hard way that you cannot quit them online but the form makes you think you can which is a cheap way of getting that one extra payment. They may have taken over the market but soon enough something else will come along... Until then I will not deal with them again.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Zillow was launched by two former Microsoft executives in 2006. It is owned by the Zillow Group and makes a profit by selling ad space on the website and through its partner with U.S. newspapers to provide real estate searches on their websites. Zillow lists all types of real estate available for sale and rent.

• Multiple search areas: Users can search for houses in select neighborhoods or areas simultaneously and exclude all homes listed outside of those areas. Site visitors can circle the area(s) they are interested in on a digital map and then apply filters to homes inside those areas.
  • Zillow Digs: Zillow Digs, a portion of Zillow’s website, helps people find design and decoration inspiration. It shows pictures of both interior and exterior spaces and lists prices for materials used as well as an estimate for labor cost.
  • Zillow Advice: The Zillow Advice section of the company’s website serves as a forum where individuals can ask and respond to real estate related questions. Users can sort by city or neighborhood to see discussions about problems or trends in their area.
  • Sun NumberTM: Those interested in using solar energy will find Zillow’s Sun Number, which is listed on the page for each property. This number tells how well-suited the house is for installing solar panels based on the building type, climate, electricity cost and solar installation cost.
  • Zestimate: Each house listed on Zillow has a Zestimate, which estimates the current market value of the house, the amount it could be rented for and whether the value is projected to increase or decrease over the following year.
  • Best for Zillow is best for house hunters, renters, homeowners and real estate agents.

Compare Real Estate Websites