Zillow.com

Compare Real Estate Websites

Research top Real Estate Websites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

As a broker associate, I had a 6 month trial account with Zillow. Their sales representative assured me that I would be given the help I needed in making a quality profile. When the follow up was slow and little more than more hype, I informed them that I was less than satisfied. When my contract ended, I informed them that I was not going to renew. The monthly charge of almost $200 didn't show up on my credit card and I thought that was it. But after skipping one month the charge show up again and each month thereafter. I spoke with them several times and I was told that they were going to refund me the amount and make the correction. Of course this all took several phone calls and the leaving of messages waiting for someone to contact me back.

Finally after many false promises and being told that they were going to take care of the situation, I now have filed a dispute with my credit card company. I filed the dispute, because Zillow told me 6 months ago and 3 months ago that they agreed with me and that they would rectify the account, but it would take them a month to get me my money back. This has not happened. All they did was skip a month of charging my credit card and then they began to charge it again. I called and left messages and they didn't return my calls. My contacts are by phone since they were not willing to do things by email. Zillow has taken about $1000 from me without authorization. Be aware that they will give verbal lip service, but they will not follow up or put it in writing.

Zillow has arbitrarily reduced the Zestimate on my home by more than 10 percent in the last 60 days. They have not given a reason for it and have adjusted the estimate timeline to show it below the highest Zestimate given which is fraudulent. I live in a very hot neighborhood where houses are selling at an extraordinary increase in price from six months ago. There is no reason for the drop and they won't respond to why they reduced the Zestimate. I think they have done so because I was looking at real estate agents and exhibiting "selling behavior" which was picked up by their algorithm and arbitrarily reduced - or they are acting in collusion with real estate agents and/or their buyers. I would like to know if there is an attorney interested in forming a class to bring a lawsuit regarding their fraudulent activity and arbitrary price fixing. If you have had a similar experience or if you're interested in joining such a class, please post here.

As a realtor, I can tell you right now that Zillow is using the realtor's ways of making a living to get rich. They integrated onto the MLS feed now, meaning that if an agent list a home that more than likely that realtor is the one who will get the leads. You know what it means also? Us, as realtors, we have to try hard to sell for sale by owners. We are paying Zillow to have more for sale by owners. This is why you can't leave a review on for sale by owners. Have you ever thought about that? Speaking of reviews, did you know that you can just create an account today and give a realtor a bad review even if you never contacted that realtor? Easy to destroy another realtor's reputation. I don't know if they still do that though. But you can try it.

Also, about the ZIP codes? Total ripoff. I buy these ZIP codes that they say have 100 something listings. Make sure you check on these ZIP codes before buying them. And please click on more than one property in these ZIP codes and see for yourself what you are paying for. A lot of them the broker is the only one that can get the leads and a lot of them are for sale by owners. Our little town is aware of that and slowly boycotting Zillow. Their rate is outrageous and paid realtors have an unfair advantage. I am done with them. No more.

When we found out that Zillow let realtors BID on leads in their area that was the last straw. Just by indicating you are interested in a property they will sell your contact info to a realtor claiming you are interested in a property. They are abusing the average man's privacy and ripping off realtors across the country who think they are being sold the goose that lays golden eggs. About half of their property listings are outdated or don't even exist anymore. They have no incentive to take these down as they are just more opportunities for an unsuspecting victim to click on it who they can then sell to a misinformed realtor in their area. They have only gotten to the point they are by buying out all their competition and operating off the philosophy that every minute there's a new sucker born for them to rip off.

I am a realtor and I have listed my home with the MLS. I did not authorize Zillow to do a zestimate, blog, etc. They have done it anyway. I have contacted the company but have not gotten any resolution to this problem. I know Zillow does this all the time, but there should be guidelines to what they can state, or what the owner does not want shown on their page.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zillow.com?

I am extremely dissatisfied with the Zestimate Zillow has posted for my unit. It is roughly half the value of what a professional appraiser estimated and half the value of what a comparable unit in the same complex sold for last year and of its Zestimate. When I pointed these facts out to Zillow I received packaged replies that did not address the content of my complaint and nothing has been done to revise the Zestimate. Frankly I am outraged that a company has taken information about my unit without my consent and is now harming my prospect of selling it for fair market value and putting downward pressure on the offers I receive. Zillow is an irresponsible and unethical company in my opinion.

On April 6, 2017 I was searching online for properties in the Santa Rosa, Florida area. Zillow brought up 2 properties for sale in Inlet Beach. They were priced at $39,925 which was a price cut of $837,975 (4/5). There was a place to email directly for information from the builder, D.R. Horton. I filled in the boxes with my name and email, etc. I decided to call the builder directly, and they had me send the listing page and my information so they could research this. Today I went online to my saved listings, and they were changed to a new price of $869,900. This was obviously an error yesterday, but I want to know what recourse I have when an advertised price by Zillow is not accepted by the builder? False advertising should have its consequences.

My husband and I tried Zillow, first, as consumers in search of property to buy then, as realtors running our own business. Neither experience was positive or rewarding in any sense of the word. We hoped to use Zillow as one of our lead sources and tried it for six months. Expensive "pieces of the pie" (leads from a targeted area) proved to land us more spam in our mailbox and more "scam leads" than anything else. Several calls to our "designated customer service agent" was even more ridiculous because there was no improvement in our quality of leads, whatsoever, even when we agreed to switch market areas, which was suggested by our customer service as the problem. No improvement after taking his advice. Several weeks and several calls later, still no change and, yet, the bill for the service was always right on time.

The last call we made to Zillow netted the worst customer service phone encounter, ever! The agent yelled and talked over me while I tried to have a conversation about the problems we were having with Zillow. The agent stated that he couldn't help the quality nor the quantity of leads we were getting to begin with, because it was all "consumer driven" and, therefore, Zillow didn't have "control" over who contacted us. He also, stated he was on his lunch break and sounded mad that I had even called. Needless to say, this phone helped me make my final decision to cancel service with them at the end of the month.

My husband heard how the Zillow customer service agent spoke to me and called to lodge a formal voice complaint with Zillow's customer service department. To date, we have heard nothing back from Zillow and have decided to follow through with our cancellation of our service with them. Our advice to agents and all consumers, alike: look for truly professional services, the highest ethics, and those who genuinely value the consumer and you will not have to go through with what I have just experienced.

I relied on Zillow's estimate ($2.4M+) to request a refinance. The loan officer told me that his experience was that Zillow overestimates because they count total square footage when an appraisal is done, rather than allocating a far lower value to below ground (even a very nicely finished basement). I told the loan officer that I would therefore be conservative and estimate the value to be closer to $1.8M. I spent $800 on an appraisal, and the value came in at $1.45M. Zillow was so far off (40%!) on the value of my home, and clearly of our entire neighborhood (Cherry Hills Farms in Englewood, Colorado) that I find it irresponsible to reflect values that have no correlation whatsoever to actual value.

Zillow is down the drain. Since Zillow bought Trulia both companies list outdated info and fail to allow updates to your property and listings. Our For Sale listing never posted after over 2 weeks. They offer no assistance, they do not answer their phone. Zillow info is outdated. I suspect it's robotically entered. Better off using a sign and listing on Craigslist.

Arthur **, Zillow agent, rented wife & I an apt. on Miami Beach, deceived us the apt. was ready for occupancy; he cut all communication with us on move-in day, forced us to do/pay all maintenance & repairs not done for years, then refused all/any reimbursements - cabinet doors hanging off, bathroom sink not connected, infestations, etc. After 2-1/2 months of labor, ceiling collapsed on top of us, badly injured us, ended James' consulting job. ** demanded full rent with the ceiling on the floor, abandoned us to clean all the putrid, toxic messes; wife contracted pneumonia, asthma, slept sitting up for 2 months, drowning in pleural fluid. Any mention we made for reimbursements or rent adjustments, we were threatened with eviction.

He visited 7 months later, said he would not make necessary bedroom repairs, allowed us to get sick, instead. We also had horrific neighbor harassment - he ignored 6 months of emails begging him to stop it, but he did not. We learned the previous tenant was also elderly, also endured collapsed ceiling, then they evicted her. Multiple inspections with multiple violations and professional mold test, we learned ** rented this unlicensed, substandard building full of mold; our apt. tested positive for Aspergillus and 7 other strains of dangerous/fatal mold/bacteria, due to YEARS OF NEGLECT for water damaged drywall and wetted, rotted wood floors. He threatened us to "stay quiet about the mold or be evicted", forced us to drop a Complaint with the Health Department.

Lengthy, permitted neighbor harassment, severe sleep deprivation for months, breathing toxic mold, we suffered mold poisoning, extreme dizziness, falls, trips to hospital, etc. James collapsed, broke his arm, had 2 reconstruction surgeries, needs 3rd. ** terminated our tenancy when I was in the hospital, filed an eviction with a lie we can prove when I was unable to stand, walk OR attend Court Hearings. This person should never be allowed any position that requires honesty, integrity, knowledge. He acted more like a mafioso hoodlum than a Real Estate Professional.

In Real Estate, your FINANCES, HOME, HEALTH, CREDIT & FUTURE, well-being and serenity, is at stake. Don't put that in the hands of a "property manager" witnessed painting black mold with white paint, who obviously targets elderly, lies about so much so easily. We have photos of apt. conditions, collapsed ceilings, black mold on drywall, rotted floors, injuries, medical records, inspections with multiple violations, professional mold test, etc. available upon request; we can prove every word we say is truth.

I tried listing my home for sale by owner and despite repeated efforts and multiple phone calls with their "customer service" over two weeks, they cannot do it. However, the home does show up on Zillow as being for sale a long time ago when it was in very poor condition (foreclosure), with terrible pictures and it shows an extremely deflated value. Despite repeated attempts to "edit" the home facts and upload pictures after all of the major improvements we made, the old data is all that shows on Zillow. I think they are totally reliant on algorithms and automation and when something is wrong, they don't have the manpower or expertise to correct it. They must get sued a lot because this is the equivalent of house "defamation" if I could say it that way.

I reported a fake listing to Zillow almost 2 months ago and the listing is still posted. The phone number is not the homeowner's phone number. In fact the property has been sold for over 2 month. When I contacted the owner phone number on the listing he asked me for a showing fee. Obviously a fake since he wanted me send the money Western Union.

We had the most awful experience selling our home. The realtor we chose was constantly barking orders what we needed to do and how we would be sued if we didn't do this and that. We finally had to tell her we didn't want her around us and things she told us to do backfired at closing... She cost us thousands of dollars.

Come to how I tried to review her on Zillow.

My first draft was denied because they said I couldn't use the word lawsuit in it... My second and third draft were denied as well saying I had to be nicer. Finally they approved my review. 10 minutes later the realtor was given a chance to reply. She called my husband and I crazy. Told us she would sue us for libel and defamation and she talked about financial details of our closing!!! This woman is off her rocker and we knew it but Zillow allowed her to spew venom. So scary we were afraid at night she would come and take us out!

Then a month later Zillow allowed her to call her previous clients and write five star reviews about 50 of them so you can't even see my review. Zillow is a scam and you cannot see what consumers need to see. Had we seen a truthful review on this realtor the way she really is we never would have used her. Just a warning.

How does this company stay in business. They don't answer the phone, mailbox is full so you can't leave a message. They don't respond to emails. Unable to post a listing which is what I assumed their business handles. They will ultimately fail... No way they can sustain. To top it off, their website is disastrous.

I put all the information in the listing 7 days ago and still shows I have no listings. I sent 3 emails into customer service and NO RESPONSE. Called their # 206 470 7000... a recording answered and said the mailbox is full! Amazing and very SAD.

Unbelievable! Zillow is charging me for their mistake! Told rep I wanted to cancel and when I confronted her after being charged again she lied to her boss and told him I told her I was "still thinking about it". I even talked with the sales supervisor and he says there is nothing more they can do and it was a "miscommunication". Hah! Agents, do NOT pay to advertise on Zillow, it is a waste of money and they do not have their customer's best interests in mind.

I'm a real estate broker, in the business for a dozen years here in Miami, Fl. Recently, someone created a fake profile on Zillow and left me a negative 1 star review. In the review, they complain about a situation that I have never been party to. The name of the reviewer is also foreign to me as I have never heard of nor have I done business with anyone by that name. I have made numerous attempts to have this removed and Zillow refused to cooperate or look into it. The few times that I've received a response it's from some robot, cutting and pasting troubleshooting tips. The statements made are defamatory to my name and character and Zillow does nothing about it.

Now, every time someone sees my listings on Zillow, my bad rating and negative review comes up. Their solution is that I ask all my past clients to write reviews for me so my score goes back up and isn't so badly affected by the bad review. But I'm not going to start begging my past clients to write reviews for me. Also, they suggested that I post a response to the review, but even in posting the response, this shines a negative light on me. The only time they have called me back and I've been able to speak to a human is when I sent a request to the sales department. Of course, they called me right away. Terrible company.

I have sent several emails and complaints to Zillow for inaccurately reporting the estimate of our homes value. Zillow has no right to publish the value of our home without using sold comparables, including the price that we purchased it for. Their estimate is far below the actual value and publicly posting their unverified value is misleading and diminishes our resale value. Their actions are negligent and are costing homeowners, real estate agents, and buyers millions of dollars.

Zillow has zero experience in Real Estate Appraisals or Estimated Value. They also keep outdated numbers and listings posted in order to not mess up their algorithms. For example: I had my house listed for $165,000 for over a month and Zillow along with other Realtor "Guesstimates of Value" stated my houses estimated value was the same as selling price. The day I dropped my selling price, the "Zestimate" dropped by almost $10,000, severely damaging the proposed value of my house to prospective buyers. This company along with its sister site "Trulia" need to be removed from the Real Estate listing business, or have the right to "Zestimate" the value of your property taken away from them... MAJOR RIPOFF... AND THAT APPLIES TO ANY COMPANY THAT FOLLOWS THEIR LEAD...

Zillow is showing my home as having been sold last month for a price lower than I paid. I purchased the house three and a half years ago. It was NOT sold last month for the price that they list. These are absolute facts which are incorrect. This is not a matter of a low estimate based on facts. They publish incorrect information which is harmful to me if I list my house, and harmful to anyone in the neighborhood who are currently selling. Zillow is breaking the law and may be damaging individuals financially.

Ever since Zillow.com merged with Trulia they have implemented dozens of changes to my account without letting me know. I have a "contract" and pay $$ every month under the original contract before merger. Cannot imagine how this is a legal business practice since I'm under the original contract. How can they keep making changes that affect the outcome of what I'm paying for? Horrible customer service. Very shady to say the least!

As a Real estate Agent, my experience with Zillow pretty much matches the dissatisfaction of others reviewing this company. I have 2 listings for the same address. It is a farm, & it can be purchased 2 different ways. The listings are separate & different & posted in my Listing service. For the 3rd time in about 10 months, after about 60 days on Zillow their system combines the 2 listings into one. The one Zillow creates is the 2 acre price on the 55 acre listing. It locks me out of editing. This has happened to me for the 3rd time.

I start getting inquiries that become pissed off potential clients. Try to get ANY response from Zillow? They could care less. I have tried multiple times to get a response from this company to explain to me what is happening with my posts. You're wasting your time sending emails to their customer disservice. Try & call their C.S. phone? Any menu choice you try results in the system hanging up on you. As an agent, show all your clients Zillow's disclaimer. It will clear up any questions you might have regarding what Zillow thinks of the accuracy of what's posted, and that they don't care.

Zillow has zero customer service. They also keep outdated numbers and listings posted in order to not mess up their algorithms. It is not a good site to get professional real estate advice from. Zillow is only in business from real estate agents providing them all of their listings. They give nothing back to real estate professionals. 95% of the time the agent you contact about a listing knows nothing about the listing. The only reason that agents has his or hers info there is because they paid Zillow to advertise them. This is misleading the public in believing the agent they contacted represents the seller. They do not. Be aware when you deal with them. Buying a home is an important decision.

When I was attempting to update my agent profile on Zillow, I realized there were 3 different profiles of myself. I first tried to log in to each profile to see if I could delete the profiles myself however Zillow doesn't grant you that option. I've submitted several emails requesting them to remove my profiles from their website. I've not heard back from them and the profiles are still up. There's no one I can talk to over the phone and no one responds back to my emails. But, if you're an agent looking to become a premier agent with them, guess what? They have a number for you and you can actually speak to someone to get that taken care of!!! Why? Because they want your money. They'll put you on the back burner if you just have one of their free sites.

Zillow has FALSE info listed on their site about my HOME/PROPERTY. I have had people contact me about my home and they said they got their info from zillow and wanted to argue with me, telling me that I didn't know my own home. I don't feel that they have any right or business putting my info out for the general public to have access to. Tried contacting them and ended up talking to some of their agents, they said there is nothing they can do and refused to give me a phone number to the corporate office. I just want my info removed from their system. If they insist on invading people's privacy and causing stress/headaches by posting FALSE INFO, why deal with them? If an Attorney would like to contact me about zillow's invasion of privacy, I will gladly talk to you.

Been trying for over a month to get a agent to work with us in purchasing a retirement home in Georgia. Sent of many inquiries into prospective properties but with barely any returned calls. Also I have found that a lot of the homes we are interested in have been sold for many months. Also many homes are pending for months. There have been several homes we are interested in but no response to our inquiries. This makes it very difficult to make plans to travel from Ohio to Georgia to purchase a home first week of march 2017. Maybe I should reconsider Georgia and consider Alabama.

I want to give this warning to real estate agents and loan officers that are being constantly solicited by Zillow to purchase their "leads". I know this after depositing $1500 with them for the "leads". They were running a promotion where they would add an addition $250 after my initial deposit. They would keep the leads at approx $30 per lead, all purchases, and in the counties of my choice. Sounded like a winner. I started receiving leads after my initial deposit. One per day just as they discussed. Most of the leads did not even expect a call afterwards, so expectations were not set properly from the get go. I continued to work these leads for 30 days.

After 30 days I checked my Zillow Lender Hub account only to find out that my average lead cost was almost double what they initially told me and they were giving me leads in different counties and zip codes. So my funds that were supposed to last 60 days, were almost gone. This was concerning to me. The straw that broke the camel's back was a $600,000 refinance lead for a woman that could barely speak English in a city I wasn't targeting. She wasn't expecting somebody to contact her. This lead cost... $91 dollars. More than 3 times the cost initially quoted me. So the cost of the leads was through the roof expensive and they never gave me the $250 bonus per the initial agreement.

I called to speak with a rep and they said, "Oh Yea we forgot about that!" Mentioned the cost per lead, the wrong areas, the refinance, and the $250 and somehow someway they found nothing wrong with any of that and did not a thing to make it right. Told him I was going to "PAUSE" my account and let them make a good decision. Now 7 months later haven't heard a word from Zillow, they still have approx. $600 of my own funds plus the $250 that is owed to me. Moral of the story: Do Not Under any circumstance do business with Zillow/Trulia because they are dishonest with their advertisers and in business. The customer is never right in their eyes. They are sure to lose much more than the amount they are short changing me on with these fraudulent practices. Trulia/Zillow make a bad name for us professionals that are doing the right thing on a regular basis.

I am a builder in the Seattle/East side and have been getting soliciting calls from Zillow to advertise my projects. These calls come from people that don't know construction or this market wasting my time. We have our agents that get paid 10k-24k to get each property sold-why is Zillow calling the builder and pull me away from our work. Get a clue how this industry works.

Zillow is a popular internet real estate company that will place your property on their website using false third party information without the owner's permission. Furthermore, they will refuse to remove it after you contact them. They will attempt to extort homeowners by strong-arming individuals to sell their property for the amounts they see fit sort of like the mob in NYC!!! Zillow will attempt to willow you out of your hard worked money. Stay away from such a corrupted internet business!

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Zillow was launched by two former Microsoft executives in 2006. It is owned by the Zillow Group and makes a profit by selling ad space on the website and through its partner with U.S. newspapers to provide real estate searches on their websites. Zillow lists all types of real estate available for sale and rent.

• Multiple search areas: Users can search for houses in select neighborhoods or areas simultaneously and exclude all homes listed outside of those areas. Site visitors can circle the area(s) they are interested in on a digital map and then apply filters to homes inside those areas.
  • Zillow Digs: Zillow Digs, a portion of Zillow’s website, helps people find design and decoration inspiration. It shows pictures of both interior and exterior spaces and lists prices for materials used as well as an estimate for labor cost.
  • Zillow Advice: The Zillow Advice section of the company’s website serves as a forum where individuals can ask and respond to real estate related questions. Users can sort by city or neighborhood to see discussions about problems or trends in their area.
  • Sun NumberTM: Those interested in using solar energy will find Zillow’s Sun Number, which is listed on the page for each property. This number tells how well-suited the house is for installing solar panels based on the building type, climate, electricity cost and solar installation cost.
  • Zestimate: Each house listed on Zillow has a Zestimate, which estimates the current market value of the house, the amount it could be rented for and whether the value is projected to increase or decrease over the following year.
  • Best for Zillow is best for house hunters, renters, homeowners and real estate agents.

Compare Real Estate Websites