3.8/5 (672 ratings)

About MoneyGram

MoneyGram provides online and in-person money transfers, money orders and bill payments. Customers can send money domestically or internationally and choose from nearly 50 different currencies.

Pros

• Large global availability
  • Flexible payout options
  • Fraud education resources

Cons

• Exchange rates can be poor
  • Fees can vary

Bottom Line

MoneyGram is one of the largest wire transfer services in the world. It lets you send and receive money, pay bills and more. The company does its best to make sure transfers are convenient, easy and safe.

MoneyGram Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MoneyGram?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about MoneyGram?

Original review: Feb. 6, 2022

Please stay away from this platform! It’s a scam! I tried to wire money online. The transaction has been in process for several days. I tried to cancel it calling their customer service. I had to speak to five different foreign representatives, who spoke broken English, being on hold for an hour, with no further resolution of my request. Wasted time, money snd energy!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2022

I bought two Moneygram money orders from Walmart on January 6, 2022. I mailed them from Texas to Kentucky on the 7th but they have yet to reach their destination in Kentucky. Moneygram's fees of $18.00 for each money order are completely and utterly ridiculous and outrageous! A few dollars to replace, I could live with and think is reasonable. $18.00 for each because of the dollar amounts is theft. The enormous fees are NOT posted in Walmart and very much should be so customers know up front they're going to be charged outrageous fees. I've used this company for two years to pay my water bill. I will not ever use them again for no reason!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2022

I have been a Moneygram customer for years. In this gone December 2021, my account was suddenly block because as they said they are not comfortable with my activities. After years of sending money to the same relatives and friends. I don't know what is fraudulent about me lending a hand to my friends and relative.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

I opened MoneyGram and after one transaction they closed my account for nothing and they don't want to open it for nothing. And my cousin told me the same thing, they closed his account for no reason, we tried to call them to ask what we can do to open it, nothing they answered. Very not good service.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2022

I had been using Moneygram for many years & now suddenly they just closed my account for “security reasons”. I was told this after I called because I couldn’t login into my account & when I tried to even reset my password it was saying there was no account associated with my email. The agent told me that all he could tell me was that the security department doesn’t feel comfortable with me using them anymore. I literally have used them to send my rent once a month for the past year & randomly sent some money to family & friends over the past few years when needed which was pretty rare.

Recently about a month & a half ago I needed to send money to my son's grandfather & his great aunt in Jamaica. This was the first time I sent money to them though & it was a huge hassle trying to reach the customer service there because I was told the agent doing the transfer needed me to verify some things first. Once I finally got ahold of an agent I was asked many personal questions as well as many personal questions about my family that I was sending to only in the end to have that agent tell me that she doesn’t believe I actually know them & she will not be allowing my transfer through!! I gave her every bit of information that I could possibly give & was denied for no reason. I have still not received my money back for it either & now my account has just been closed on top of it.

I had emailed them about the situation I had w/ the money transfer over a month & a half ago & still haven’t heard anything with that as well. I am completely livid over this & they will not give me any actual answers to why I have been flagged & closed out. I was a rewards member too & finally had sent enough transfers to receive my 40% off my fees on my next transfer which oddly enough happened at the same time I got closed down where now I can’t even use that. I suggest nobody use them, they are so ridiculously unhelpful & have put me out of $500 at this point.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2021

I sent money to Canada for my relatives and they are having difficulty getting the money. When they went to claim it, they do not have enough cash so they said that they can wire it to the bank and will receive it in 24 hours and 3 days have passed and no money has been sent to their account. This is my first time using MoneyGram and regret it. This is frustrating and inconvenient for both sender and receiver. I will not recommend it.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2021

Service is terrible. I sent money to another country. My friend could not get money. I was on kgb meeting with agent of Moneygram. My friend already have sent puppy to me. I just try to send money to pay for it. I did not success. God agent say NO. I hope I will receive my money back. Monday I will go to my bank and send it regular way. Never come again to this company. Just from small issue big problem.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2021

I sent my money to my cousin on December 18, 2021. I was told the funds went through and received a confirmation email. Today, my cousin called me advising that the money could not be picked up. I called Moneygram and they told me that the money has been refunded due to suspicious activity of the receiver. I never received an email or call prior to my call to Moneygram. Moneygram is a terrible company. If I had not called, I would have never known the status of my money. Their customer service is not helpful at all. This company should be investigated itself for suspicious activity.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2021

I had been using MoneyGram to send money to my wife with zero problems but MoneyGram changed their system. So I sent $50 just to make sure there wouldn't be a problem, there wasn't, it was received normally. I then sent $500, which disappeared. MoneyGram claims it was received, the bank says it was not, the bank wrote MoneyGram and copied me on the letter challenging them to provide proof of this transaction, MoneyGram didn't reply. To date they have not refunded nor forwarded the money to my wife. STAY AWAY FROM MONEYGRAM, use Western Union or a similar reputable agency.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2021

I sent money for cash pickup. But the money did not reach the destination. When I asked the customer care of the Moneygram, they said the money was sent to an Account deposit. First of all, I did not ask for that to be sent to an account. Now I don't know to which account the money was sent to. When I asked for the account detail the money was sent, they say that they don't know. Weird. Asking for refund, that too will take 90 days. We send money for emergencies. Now we have to live with this error by the Moneygram. Very bad service when it comes to refund and details.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2021

Run away - Moneygram - Sharia Law thieves - Once they found out we are sending money to overseas orphanages they froze our accounts and seized the cash!! Sharia Law prohibits helping humans (infidels). Moneygram says orphanages are fraud fronts so they stole our funds even though we have been supporting this one for years.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2021

It's promoted as an easy and pleasant way to send money abroad - what a lie!. Once they have your money... they will start to create problems, straight from nothing. Both for sender and receiver. Dozens of private rude questions. I don't want to share details of my family with strangers.

- Why do you want to know if my parent were divorced?! I and my brother have the same.
- Do I have the same biological parents with my brother? What is this? We are both grown men!
- It is not your damn business If I'm going to spend my money on lollypops, or condoms or give it poor.
- It's not your damn business! How I earn money or how my brother earn money.
- Is not your damn business. We are both citizens of EU and our lives, and private details are not your DAMN BUSINESS! Either of us is not on U.S. soil.

So do your job, mind your OWN BUSINESS - you are just an errand boy. Move things from one place to another. Take your fee - AND GET THE * LOST.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

Worst online money transfer service provider. First they closed my account without providing any notification or reason, then they did the same with my wife's account and the customer support team just said: "Yeah, your account was closed by MoneyGram security team, you can go and transfer your money with some other service provider!" Just wondering why they offer online services if they are not capable of doing it???

Original review: Nov. 5, 2021

My account has been revoked for no apparent reason and when I called the customer service and asked why I was told we can’t disclose the reason, they said you can use the MoneyGram location to transfer money. Which is Ridiculous, I was I could give them no Stars if there were any option.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2021

I come to receive to Moneygram agent, he say that everything is OK with the transfer and your name, but the moneygram system does not give permission because the passport number! I knock directly on the chat, moneygram chat support says - that there are no problems, go and get it, but better try to get in another place :) and so 2 days, 6 locations (all of them in my city) and all the same in a circle. So now sender will try to get reverse.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2021

Sent money to my niece for school through her mobile wallet. 3 days later, the money hasn't been deposited, I reached out to customer service to get the transaction cancelled so I can use another service and they tell me it would take them up to 90 days to review the problem and issue a refund. 90 DAYS.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

I fell for a scam through MoneyGram (foolish of me, I know). I opened a chat window with a LiveAgent who (unsurprisingly) said there was nothing they could do about it. But then they following up saying that my account was permanently banned and then they abruptly ended the chat so that I could no longer access the logs (thankfully I took screenshots earlier as soon as I suspected something weird). Thankfully my credit card company + local police will help refund me, but wanted to make sure others were aware of the abysmal customer support experience you'll receive if (checks notes) YOU are the person who got scammed. I'll be the last person surprised when this company has a lawsuit coming their way. In the meantime, I recommend taking your money elsewhere.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

Moneygram. I Love the Service it provides. No waiting in Line, Great online experience. Easy to Send Money. I have been a customer for 15 years. The price to send funds are Amazing. Lots of Places were you can received Transactions. Great Service to use when You want to Send money to Family members and Friends.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

Spoke to manager to request a refund for my cousin Valry **, who could not get the $2230+ that was sent, due to my Aunty dying after being ran down and bombarded with Chemo and Radiation, when these doctors in America knows that this does nothing for the body but weakens the immune system and causes one's defenses to be too low when man made viruses like corona is out there. This company would not even refund my 4.99USD in fees and the money couldn’t be send because I do not use Western Union any more to send money to her daughter Jodian ** like she requested. My sister Tachnique ** will have to sort that out.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

Had to send money to my daughter on St. Kitts and this was the safest way to send it. She had no problem picking up the money and using the website was very easy. I would recommend using Money over Wester Union.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

First time I used a Money Gram and the transfer went well and the other party was in another state.. I did not have to drive into Oakhurst or Fresno to do this transfer. Dollar General was very professional when I came into the store.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

On 14. September we send 2 money transfers to Kenya, got Email confirmation, but money did not arrive. 1. Transfer made on 14. Aug 2021 No **. 2. Transfer made on 14. Aug 2021 No **. Made several complains, but no reaction, up to now. This company is not reliable.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

Took longer than 4 days to send money. It used to be in an hr. I've done so many transactions before. It's not like they had to check my background or so and was not huge amount. Few hundreds of $. Worst. Never again.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

I sent a money to my relative but they entered wrong information, so my relative could not receive the money. Moneygram did not fix the wrong information, instead of doing that they cancelled my transaction and they refused to give me back my fee money. This is what scammers do, take your money without doing the service they supposed to do.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

I will give them zero rate, they don't deserve to run a company. I've been sending money thru this company for many years, then all of a sudden they block me for reasons that they don't want to tell me, and that's not fair, what kind of company policy they are trying to follow? If I did broken rules I would understand but I don't think I did anything wrong. Anyway, I'm just pissed off when I'm mistreated.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

On August 24 I wire money from my account using MoneyGram to my father's account. I had to use money gram in previous times. This time I send a large amount, for some reason the money gram is telling me that it was delivered to my father's account is not true. It was never transferred to his account at all. They lie. They kept the money for themselves. They change the sender's name and the receiver's name and the confirmation number. Stole my money that was needed to be for emergency operation $2123.99. They have no idea where the money's now and they will not refund me my money at all. That’s what they have been telling me by customers service people.

There’s is no refunds at all, I did not purchase anything. I just wire transfer money from account to account direct deposit. They’re a bunch of thieves. Do not send any money with MoneyGram. They are not to be trusted at all them on sending any money from MoneyGram. Stay away from this business. They will steal your money.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

My friend sent money in April to my roommate - here we are in August and still no money. The money was sent from Ontario to Montreal, QC. My roommate went to pick up the money (500$) from the post office and was told that they did not have enough cash and offered him an e-transfer. He did not think anything of it and accepted. A week later - still no money. We started contacting customer service - either generic replies that had nothing to do with the actual situation or total silence. Here were are in August and the money was never received. I am totally shocked that this Company is allowed to operate in Canada. They caused so much misery and anxiety with this scam. Please do not use this service under any circumstances!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2021

I created my account and was not able to send money online for a week. Called three times and been told my account is under review. On my last call they told me to use another company 'cause I am blocked?!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2021

Worst experience ever. I have more than 10 days waiting on a money that I sent to my country and they don’t give me a solution. My money it’s just in the air. My family it’s waiting for the money and they don’t care about it.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2021

I sent money to my sister in Ghana's mobile wallet on 4/24/2021 and up till this day my sister has not received the money and MoneyGram is saying they would not refund m the money. I have submitted to MoneyGram my sister's bank statement showing the money didnt come through, yet they still don't want to refund the money. Dont use them!

MoneyGram Company Information