2. Finance
  3. Money Transfer

3.9/5 (669 ratings)

About MoneyGram

MoneyGram provides online and in-person money transfers, money orders and bill payments. Customers can send money domestically or internationally and choose from nearly 50 different currencies.

Pros

• Large global availability
  • Flexible payout options
  • Fraud education resources

Cons

• Exchange rates can be poor
  • Fees can vary

Bottom Line

MoneyGram is one of the largest wire transfer services in the world. It lets you send and receive money, pay bills and more. The company does its best to make sure transfers are convenient, easy and safe.

MoneyGram Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MoneyGram?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about MoneyGram?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

Had to send money to my daughter on St. Kitts and this was the safest way to send it. She had no problem picking up the money and using the website was very easy. I would recommend using Money over Wester Union.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

First time I used a Money Gram and the transfer went well and the other party was in another state.. I did not have to drive into Oakhurst or Fresno to do this transfer. Dollar General was very professional when I came into the store.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

On 14. September we send 2 money transfers to Kenya, got Email confirmation, but money did not arrive. 1. Transfer made on 14. Aug 2021 No **. 2. Transfer made on 14. Aug 2021 No **. Made several complains, but no reaction, up to now. This company is not reliable.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

Took longer than 4 days to send money. It used to be in an hr. I've done so many transactions before. It's not like they had to check my background or so and was not huge amount. Few hundreds of $. Worst. Never again.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

I sent a money to my relative but they entered wrong information, so my relative could not receive the money. Moneygram did not fix the wrong information, instead of doing that they cancelled my transaction and they refused to give me back my fee money. This is what scammers do, take your money without doing the service they supposed to do.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

I will give them zero rate, they don't deserve to run a company. I've been sending money thru this company for many years, then all of a sudden they block me for reasons that they don't want to tell me, and that's not fair, what kind of company policy they are trying to follow? If I did broken rules I would understand but I don't think I did anything wrong. Anyway, I'm just pissed off when I'm mistreated.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

On August 24 I wire money from my account using MoneyGram to my father's account. I had to use money gram in previous times. This time I send a large amount, for some reason the money gram is telling me that it was delivered to my father's account is not true. It was never transferred to his account at all. They lie. They kept the money for themselves. They change the sender's name and the receiver's name and the confirmation number. Stole my money that was needed to be for emergency operation $2123.99. They have no idea where the money's now and they will not refund me my money at all. That’s what they have been telling me by customers service people.

There’s is no refunds at all, I did not purchase anything. I just wire transfer money from account to account direct deposit. They’re a bunch of thieves. Do not send any money with MoneyGram. They are not to be trusted at all them on sending any money from MoneyGram. Stay away from this business. They will steal your money.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

My friend sent money in April to my roommate - here we are in August and still no money. The money was sent from Ontario to Montreal, QC. My roommate went to pick up the money (500$) from the post office and was told that they did not have enough cash and offered him an e-transfer. He did not think anything of it and accepted. A week later - still no money. We started contacting customer service - either generic replies that had nothing to do with the actual situation or total silence. Here were are in August and the money was never received. I am totally shocked that this Company is allowed to operate in Canada. They caused so much misery and anxiety with this scam. Please do not use this service under any circumstances!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2021

I created my account and was not able to send money online for a week. Called three times and been told my account is under review. On my last call they told me to use another company 'cause I am blocked?!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2021

Worst experience ever. I have more than 10 days waiting on a money that I sent to my country and they don’t give me a solution. My money it’s just in the air. My family it’s waiting for the money and they don’t care about it.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2021

I sent money to my sister in Ghana's mobile wallet on 4/24/2021 and up till this day my sister has not received the money and MoneyGram is saying they would not refund m the money. I have submitted to MoneyGram my sister's bank statement showing the money didnt come through, yet they still don't want to refund the money. Dont use them!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

Please, no one use this service! They block your transactions w/out giving you a logical reason for doing that. They try to control your life and money more than you, and who you should send money to. When you send MO to a scammer and you try to stop it they gave you all kinds of excuses not to cancel the transaction. Exactly, they take full control over your money and your life (if they get the chance).

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

No protection, sent a M.O. for over 300 and Money Gram couldn't put a cancel on it when it was lost in the mail. I was told to call Walmart but walmart sent me right back to money gram. They will give you a "Website" but it doesn't give you the option of getting it cancelled nor getting a refund, finally had to have them send papers in the mail then I gotta fill out the papers and send them back, I asked was it possible to use fax, no...Also not possible to cancel the M.O, over the phone and it someone cashes it in the meantime then oh well they don't really care you're just S.O.L., bottom line don't use money orders, use a check or send cash, cash is just as safe since, no real protection with money order and plus you have to pay for the M.O. on top of no real protection....Will never in my life buy another money order. You are SOL if it gets stolen or lost!!! Buyer beware

Original review: July 10, 2021

After 45 minutes on hold to send money, had to get on hold to approve the receiving of the money. They asked me a million questions about how I know the person I'm sending money to. After all that CVS did not have enough money to provide my sent money to my friend. So now cvs is just keeping my money. I'm on hold with cvs. This whole process I've been on the phone for 2 hours.

Original review: June 25, 2021

I have been using Walmart Money service to send money oversees for about a year. It was fine until a month ago when I started having issues. This time it would not let me use my bank or debit card. Their service is nothing to none. People that help you know nothing about their system ZERO! Very disappointed with their service, you think it is one of the largest company and their service support is zero. If you have an another option use it and stay away from Walmart/MoneyGram.

Original review: June 23, 2021

On June 11, 2021 a letter was sent to my deceased son via US mail. I received it on June 16th. The letter states that my son made a money transaction which took place on 7/31/2017 in the amount of 160.00 to which to party that never picked up the money. My son passed away December 9, 2017. He was never married, no children and no will. The letter goes on to say that a response is requested by July 6, 2021. I call the 800-926-9400 and inform the young lady that my son has passed, and asked what should I do? She told me that the money can go to me. I asked what would she need from me in order to transfer the money over in my name? She tells me that all I need is a Death Certificate or POA, and my ID sent to the email provided in the letter or brought to a MoneyGram. I chose email as I work full-time.

In the email I provided a written statement specifying my son's death and requesting that the monies owed be transferred in my name. I provided a Living Will (witnessed) - thinking it was a POA, and my ID. I received an email back from Edmir ** Operations Oversight, Analyst I, requesting that I provide a written request, a valid ID from the requester, and a court order showing proof I have authorization.

I emailed a second time requesting again in written form via email but this time providing a Death Certificate which states "never married", the Directive for Cremated Remains which showed I had authorization over his remains, the Living Will witnessed, and both his ID and my ID show the same address as he lived with me. With that I received the following: "We have noticed that one of the following documents is still pending: official court order, official letter, affidavit, or other official document delegating authority for a deceased person to another. Signed, Edmir ** Operations Oversight, Analyst I."

So, let me get this straight; Moneygram received 160.00 of my son's money on July 31, 2017 which was not picked up within the 90 day period, they held onto that money and did not notify him until June 11, 2021, then give him less than a month to reply? Why not November of 2017 shortly after the 90 day period ended when he was still alive and could have responded personally? Now he is passed and I am required to file with the court (which is more than likely more than the amount owed to my son) in order to obtain a court order to prove that I have the authority over my son's estate or in this matter 160.00. Not to mention the reliving of the hurt and loss that I feel having to go through the paperwork in order to find the articles of death found amongst his box of memories and hospital records. Not a fan.

Original review: May 30, 2021

Be warned! Don’t use Moneygram especially when it’s an emergency. You’ll be doomed. They blocked me out of the blue without explanation. I rarely send money and if I have to, I usually just send it to my own bank account back home for my personal bills and family emergency. I called Moneygram to know why, they said that Moneygram decided to not let me use their services and blocked me indefinitely and they won’t provide the reason why. They can just easily block anyone they want and any time they want w/out any explanation at all?!?! That is so unfair!!! I wish there is a government agency that can look into this. And I wish government will put a stop in allowing company like this to do whatever they want, where they will just block anyone and any time they want w/out explanation and w/out giving a customer a chance to justify their transaction.

Original review: April 17, 2021

MoneyGram blocked my transactions with no prior warning. I had to call 20 times to understand the reason why. Unreliable money transfer services and worst customer service ever. Try to avoid their service.

Original review: April 8, 2021

Sent money on the 20th of March 2021. It's the third week. The recipient hasn't received it yet. You can't get help from customer care because the agents are rude and will keep on telling you the same story but with no results. The worst experience ever as the money takes forever to be refunded and seems nobody cares.

Original review: April 8, 2021

I have made a bank deposit to my family via Moneygram online 1 week ago but the money never get deposited until now. My family checked their bank and the bank responded they never received any proceedings so far from money gram with the particular reference number for a deposit. I called moneygram customer care service and have to be on the line for long time to be attended by a customer service agent. They simply say the money successfully processed so they need to analyse the problem and it takes 3 to 10 business days.

I have already contacted via online complaint form. They already told me I have to wait 5 days. So in total it is now more than 2 weeks I need to wait to see what happened to my money. Even they said I need to call them back to see the status of their analysis of the problem and they will not call me to inform the status. This is really frustrating. I am really disappointed and frustrated with the service of money gram. It is good when everything works well but when there is a problem like this then it is completely helpless situation.

Original review: April 1, 2021

I've been trying to send money from Canada to South Africa. I heard Moneygram is instant and super easy to use. I tried online, it wouldn't go through, they deleted my account and issue after issue I decided to go to a physical Moneygram store. When I was there, they asked for an account number. I had a bank account number from my South African contact, so I gave it to them. The fees and exchange rate are WAY higher in person. They told me it would be instant. I phoned customer service an hour later because she hadn't received the money yet. They said to wait 24 hours.

Phone back. They need to launch an investigation to find out why the money hasn't been deposited and said to phone back in 4 business days. I phone them every day to see what's happening. They said the bank has the money but hasn't deposited it into the account because they're checking for fraud. That sounds fair. 5 days pass...still nothing. I phone the bank directly and they say they can't accept Moneygram transfers period. So they don't have the money.

I call Moneygram again to let them know and am now demanding that they give me a refund. They said it will take 24-48 hours. I call back after 24 hours, now they are telling me they have no idea how long it will take. I've escalated it every time I phone, I've talked to 6 different supervisors and need to repeat my story every time. They've told me they marked it urgent but nothing is happening. After talking to them today, they can't even guarantee that I'll be getting a refund. They just keep to their script and keep saying "you need to wait for our team to find a resolution". I honestly feel like it's a scam at this point. But I'll keep trying to phone every day. Even though they seem to pride themselves on having the worse customer service in history...

Original review: Feb. 21, 2021

Two times they have managed to screw up my money transfers that were supposed to be in the receiver's account by 3 business days (2 weeks + in reality). They keep transferring to other departments wasting time always with the same excuse (4 business days). Just avoid them.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

I used MoneyGram to send money to on 2/8/21. It was a direct deposit into the account of the receiver in what they call MobileWallet. A few minutes after the transaction, I got a notification that the transfer was successful. The receiver waited until 2/9/21 to check his account as he did not receive any notification. To our utter surprise (my and the receiver), nothing was sent to the receiver accounts. Upon checking with the mobile phone company that receives the money in the receiver's country, the receiver was told nothing had been received. I checked with MoneyGram and was told to check again in 48 hours. I finally disputed the claim by MoneyGram that the money was transferred correctly even though the receiver did not get it. I find the situation disturbing because online transaction issues should not take more than a week to resolve. From the customer service reps I spoke with, nothing can be done.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

I downloaded the app and my very first transaction got marked as suspicious and account deleted. Would I take the chance to post here if I were up to no good. Let alone download an app and create an account. Please I ask do not support this company.

Resolution response: Jan. 30, 2021

I was upset when I wrote the bad review, they have quickly solved the problem, and I apologize for my previous review, this company is actually very good, and I am very grateful for have this place to send money to my family.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

If you came here looking for a place to send money to someone, you better look for another place, this agency has a terrible way to do business. I sent money to my sister in Brazil, it was a pick up transaction, but she had a very hard Time to get it, they kept sending her to different places, after she spent the whole day running from place to place and spending money with transportation, she finally found it, but she couldn't get the money bc they said her name wasn't the same as her ID, but when I were putting her info, they said middle name was optional, so I got very angry about this whole situation, this is the worst place ever to send money, I wish I didn't have to give it one star, 0 star is more like.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2021

My brother owed me money, I ask him to send it to me using Western Union, he decided to use MoneyGram. He went to an authorized agent, paid the 3k in cash and sent the funds to me. I am currently in the Philippines. When I went to pick up the funds (1st day) they said there was no record. I checked online and it stated that the sender needed to contact customer service. After he contacted them, they ask him a series of questions about me, relationship, whether or not he knew me, my birthday, etc. Then they said they would release the funds. I verified this online. I went back to the bank (2nd day) with all my ID, passport and I had an account at the bank, they would not release the funds. They advised me to wait another day and try again.

I went back the next day (3rd day). They still would not release the funds. They ask them to ask me a series of questions, my relationship to the sender, what the money was for, his birthday, his middle name, his address. After about 3 hours of standing in front of agents and 3 days of going back and forth to the bank, I finally received the money. It was a good thing it was not an emergency. I highly recommend you think twice about using this service if you are sending money internationally.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

Do NOT use MoneyGram. I actually was sending money from myself to myself. I lost my debit card in Mexico so I needed to send myself money to have cash. I sent all of my money to me, as I don't have a lot of money and they canceled it for vague security reasons and deleted my account. Now I have to wait the 3-10 business days for money to get back in my bank to send it to myself through PayPal. I'm on the 6th day. (It's always 9-10) and I have 6 pesos left. Just don't use them unless you really don't care if and when your money is truly sent. There are too many competitors to deal with that nonsense.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

I sent money to Russia. Unfortunately, in many cities, they stopped working with MoneyGram. The receiver could not receive the money. I called to Money Gram and asked for refund. They gave me the number with which I had to go to Canada Post. Canada post gave me the new number and told that I should receive an email transfer for receiving my money back. I could not receive my money for more than one month. Every time I called Money Gram they just lie with a new reason. I will never come back as a customer to this company. With such an approach, one day, they will be out of business.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2021

Well I have use these people in the past. The fees have always been the same, but here recently I noticed sending money to my nephew while I’m on vacation was a bite. Excessive when I looked back at another transaction I sent a day before to my son it was ** - Double that of what I sent. This not be legal, but called customer service not help whatsoever. I’m calling someone over their head. I can see one Class Action Lawsuit in their future. We will see how this goes. Lost me as a Customer.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2020

I’ve been a long time customer for this company (for 12 years). They blocked my account out of the blue without any explanation, or a notifying email. I called, explaining the situation of not being able to log in, they said that the MoneyGram decided to not let me use their services online, and blocked my account. At least they could provide a reason or an explanation... They said: “ We can’t provide you with forward details". Absolutely unacceptable!!! I won’t wonder why their stocks fell from 270$ All the way to 6$.

MoneyGram Company Information