3.9/5 (534 ratings)

About MoneyGram

MoneyGram provides online and in-person money transfers, money orders and bill payments. Customers can send money domestically or internationally and choose from nearly 50 different currencies.

Pros

• Large global availability
  • Flexible payout options
  • Fraud education resources

Cons

• Exchange rates can be poor
  • Fees can vary

Bottom Line

MoneyGram is one of the largest wire transfer services in the world. It lets you send and receive money, pay bills and more. The company does its best to make sure transfers are convenient, easy and safe.

MoneyGram Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MoneyGram?

Original review: Sept. 27, 2022

I have been using MoneyGram for couple years now And then all of a sudden I got blocked From their service. I need to use moneygram to send money to my parents and my kids and it's the closest to moneygram they live. I think this is very horrible for moneygram to block someone who shouldn't help their family. I think it's right. I'll call customer service more than 5 times and they keep giving us lame excuse. I wish everybody should stop using moneygram.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2022

Updated on 09/20/2022: I am very upset because not only that are not giving an explanation why they cancel my account. Now they are blocking me from other companies that are associated with them. I opened an account with Remitly and they cancel and close my account permanently too. I am not a person who are involved in any problems in my life. I want to know the reason why?. At least give an explanation to take care this mistake. If I have to do an legal action to take care this issues. Please I am asking for your help.

Original Review: I had trying to send money using MoneyGram. They denied me with no explanations. I have done nothing wrong. All I want an explanation and they don’t want to give it to me. I don’t think this is fair. At least they should tell you the reasons why?. I am a good citizen. Do not know what’s going on with this company.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

Wife has sent money to our checking acct via a Moneygram. Today is the third transaction. We are both on the account. The first time took 4 days. I chatted online and was told to call support which was useless. Finally I was told she had to call because she was the sender. The second time 1 day and she had to call to verify she sent it. Today she called and was told that the recipient had to call and verify even though their online "self help" says the recipient doesn't have to do anything. So far I have chatted online with 2 useless reps and made two useless phone calls to reach no one and sent two emails with no response. Tech support rivals AT&T and US Congress.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2022

Paid for the fast send option to send money to my boyfriend for an emergency within 10 mins and tells me that it will take 2 bus. days to get the money and will not refund my money for fast send fee. Called and said I needed to verify info.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2022

What a bad experience... After being promised to send money after 10 mins to Colombia...it's been now more than 10 days and still waiting.... Customer service not much help either... Please do yourself a favor and find somebody else to send money abroad if you need the money soon....

Original review: Aug. 11, 2022

I am the money sender, and my receiver is still waiting for a week now. I have been unable to receive my reference number for 4 days now. I used the account charge option, and my account cleared several days ago. I do not see absolutely any reason for the delay, yet they are still not releasing the funds. It looks like my funds are frozen and in nowhere. This is so disappointing and unfortunate. This was the last time I used this company. They already gave me a hard time in the past.

Original review: July 26, 2022

I sent some money to someone from the Philippines, and I received an email that the money was sent and is ready to be picked up by the recipient. I sent all the info to the recipient and after a few hours MoneyGram suspended my account, citing "MoneyGram’s review of your profile and associated activity has identified it as being at high risk of fraud, scams, or other associated activity which may include a violation of MoneyGram’s Terms and Conditions". I don't know what kind of fraud and scam can be sending about 91$ to a friend from Philippines. And I have a job where I earn the money. I contacted the customer support but I haven't received any answer from them. Now I'm waiting to get my money back.

Original review: July 25, 2022

My close friend from the USA sent me $300 for my birthday! I have not been able to receive my money transfer for a week now, MoneyGram, decided to ruin my holiday, they do not give me my money back! I am a citizen of Ukraine, now I have to live in Peru, because of the war in Ukraine. There is a difficulty with communication, in Peru they rarely speak English, those who support money gram in Peru speak English very poorly. I called, they asked me a lot of questions about my personal life and the person who sent me the money order. Do you think it's normal to delve into "someone else's dirty shorts"??? Those support promised to transport me within 2 days, no call. They don't answer my email. They can look across the entire customer base that this person has been sending me money orders for eight years. In Ukraine they never asked me personal questions. Terrible service, I hate it!

Original review: July 22, 2022

Someone was able to pick up my money without an ID only with reference number from the paper I got, they have a lot of security issues in UK, how can you let someone pick up some money without ID CARD?? This is insane. They are the worst company and I am going to sue them for my money.

Original review: July 20, 2022

I was sending money through Western Union but recently I have tried Moneygram, which work with Alrajhi bank. My experience is very bad when any issue in transaction. No response to multiple emails & call.

Original review: July 9, 2022

MoneyGram is by far the cheapest service to use if you're sending money outside the U.S. I frequently send money to a friend in Honduras. Whether I send $20 or $1,700 the rate is only $1.99. I will always use and recommend Moneygram for this service!!!

Original review: July 7, 2022

I am really surprised having to write this since I have used the MoneyGram service in the past and it was great!. I don't know what has happened to this company but the last time I used them on July 2d, 2022, I found the mobile app very slow, glitchy and confusing. Their main page won't load on my laptop anymore. I was able to get the Western Union page up on the laptop without a problem. I then wanted to send money on the MoneyGram mobile app to somebody in Texas, but it turned out to be a disaster because of confusing instructions and no easy access to my previous transaction histories, receivers and cards on file. A total disaster.

Then to add insult to the whole thing, they e-mailed me after I filed a complaint, telling me they would get back to me shortly. They totally blew me off. I have to get live chat on the 7th, five days later. First, they told me the transaction did not go through cause i did not pay at the store indicated. What I thought their page asked was where I wanted the RECEIVER to pick up the money...not ME! Then it told me it would send the money once I went to a store to pay for it...thoroughly confusing me. It seemed impossible accessing previous transactions, cards and receivers on file. Their server is slow and sometimes freezes. Totally worthless.

Faster to use Western Union. At least I had quick access to past Western Union transactions and cards and receivers on file, even though I had not used it in years, because I preferred MoneyGram. MoneyGram did not used to be like this. I closed my account. What happened? It seems like this is a totally different company. Their customer service was atrocious. Good luck if you need to get somebody right away. I closed my account there.

Original review: July 1, 2022

I sent a transfer on the 21st of June. It is now the July 1st. 10 Days later and It is still in transit. I could have mailed a check or money order faster. They are explaining that the money will reach the bank on July 7th. MoneyGram is a Joke. Don't use it. What is the point of using the service if it is going to take 17 days. I could take a bus and deliver it in person faster. I could ride my bike and deliver it faster... It should be called MoneySlow or Money Joke not MoneyGram.

Original review: July 1, 2022

Updated on 07/16/2022: I published a negative review about MoneyGram because I had to spend more than one-hour sending money online to a different country, to help a Ukrainian refugee. After MoneyGram learned about my negative review, they canceled my transaction. They probably forget that freedom of speech and freedom of expression has been recognized as human rights.

Original Review: I was trying to help my relatives who temporarily lives in Germany as a refugee from Ukraine. Do not deal with this company, they don't have a hard. If you still want to try - you will have to spend a great deal of time. In my case, I tried it for two days. On the second day, it took 50 min to get a hold of the supervisor, who told me that he can help me to write a complaint, I asked him to help me to send money, he did and I thought I would never have to deal with this terrible company. Today I received an email, that my account was suspended and I cannot send money using MoneyGram. That was their reaction to my negative review. These are little, disgusting people. I will do everything so everybody knows who they are.

Original review: June 27, 2022

I would like to say that they denied me service to send to my current wife money and treated her like a scammer when she was not. I am not sure why they did this and when I called customer support they would not explain their reasoning. I have been to the Philippines and we have been together for over 4 years so I say to MoneyGram, thank you for denying the service, you have saved me a lot of money by your actions. I would recommend to anyone to get a Wells Fargo account if you are in America and there are multiple banks that you can transfer money to the Philippines for only $4.00 per transaction and that is way less than what MoneyGram charges. This company is not worth dealing with and thank God for Wells Fargo and BDO Bank.

Original review: June 16, 2022

Very disappointed in this company. They take your money and promise to send you money but each time you send money they want more. I gave them $1000 and haven’t received any money from them. They lie end

Original review: June 11, 2022

No communication at all with the clients. I sent a transfer within USA and was under investigation, I understand that every company has their own rules, but please you have to tell your customer what is the issue or the documents they need to send. I sent my transfer on May 9th and just today was released and I had to call every day so they can inform me what they need. The company has all your information, email, phone number and still they didn't write a single word. I will never use again MoneyGram and I won't recommend to anybody. Thank you.

Original review: June 9, 2022

I sent money to my family in Turkey in May and my recipient still did not get it. Today is 9th of June and MoneyGram cannot tell me where the money is. When I called them, all they told me, "Wait and we will investigate." They are the worst company to work with. Never use them if you want to send money abroad.

Original review: May 29, 2022

I have been using MoneyGram for the past year and never had a major problem until today when I called to ask to stop a transfer I made by mistake and within hours I asked them to stop and they said that the receiver already got it which was untruth. It was on a Sunday, the money was still pending on my account. Long history short the customer representative started talking over me, screaming, asking me if I knew the person I was sending my money to. Of course I knew the person and told them that all I needed was the reverse the transaction. Instead they suspended my account without my knowledge, I'm no longer able to look what happened to my money. Whether they kept it or was sent I will never know since I can't no longer log in.

Original review: May 14, 2022

Service is Terrible for online transactions. Waited for an hour to speak to the representative and ended up with no answer. When ask questions they keep repeating the same thing and blocked my account. Do not recommend this site.

Original review: April 21, 2022

I use MoneyGram over three years, sending family support money to my sister as monthly base, everytime less than 1000 CAD, because MoneyGram told me every transaction amount limit is 1000CAD, I have to accept two transaction if the amount over 1000CAD, today I send 1700CAD, the agent made 2 transaction for me and also charge 2 service fee...it's ok I took it, however, they only release one transaction to the receiver and hold one for no reason. Called CS, poor and broken English, said I have to go to see the agent next day to show more identification and continue verify it is me, it's totally a joke, I have showed 2 piece of my photo ID and the agent finished the 2transaction, I have got the 8 digit pickup code, why bother people personally show the face again the next day... Ridiculous!!! I will stop deal with MoneyGram for sure.

Original review: April 13, 2022

Tried to send money to mother in law in Ukraine. The money didn't come and was blocked. Several times I called to service. They asked me that receiver need to call to center and to answer questions (in English!). I explained she's old woman, they said - "We have a translator." She called... They answered and spoke English... No translator... no Help... Nothing. I called several times and described the situation and each time a heard a new story. The situation is very simple. They decide to steal money - randomly. Maybe some transfers could be done, but they steal money! Bottom line - they said me I'll not receive money back...

Original review: April 4, 2022

Garbage company with little to no support if something goes wrong. Save yourself some headache and time and find anyone else to send your money with. The Pony Express is probably faster and easier to use. Support can't do anything but tell you to call a phone number for help. Then they give you a phone number with a menu system that gives no option to speak with a person. If you try and cancel they will tell you you can't. Just save your time and charge back with your bank, and never use this worthless company.

Original review: April 2, 2022

I have been customer for 13 years. I always send money to my sister. Is on record. This time I send the money and I make a mistake typing the name. Was an extra A so I requested to be fix. They refuse. Hector the customer service and the supervisor treat me with no manner or courtesy out consideration of my fidelity as a customer. There are so many way and cheap to send money but I choose to stick with them. It is a shame that they let a customer go for bad customer service. Elena **

Original review: March 23, 2022

They should be reported as scam business! I sent some money to my daughter in Turkey but she was never able to receive it over there! Every time she goes to their offices, they say "there is an error." I tried to cancel the transaction online on the app, but it didn't work! It says: "error!" I called them and asked them to cancel it and they said they cannot do that! They have kept my money, neither let my daughter receive it, nor transfer it back to me! I have disputed the transaction through my bank and still waiting! This was my first time I used MoneyGram and would be my last time also using their stupid service!

Original review: March 21, 2022

I made an account online to send some money, and Moneygram security closed it within less than 10 minutes flagged for fraud. Keep in mind at this point that the only information that I entered was my name, phone, address, and email. No bank account information provided. I spoke to two customer service people and they informed me that the decision was not reversible. This makes no sense, because they didn't pull a credit report nor ask for an ID. There was not even an option to create the account in person. Know your client (KYC) is a regular process within the financial industry, but I've never encountered a worse KYC process. Previously Binance had the crown as the worst by taking more than 6 months to verify an account, but even they did better than this. Something tells me they verify your identity through social media accounts instead of someone who is authoritative.

Original review: March 17, 2022

DON'T use this service. This service is total joke. They advertise their product as an instant P2P money transfer service, meaning person to person and money is available immediately. So I sent money to my brother who needed to buy supplies for hist broken tractor, urgently. They blocked the transaction for no reason and I had to call them. They asked all kind of ** questions and at the end they decided to cancel the transaction. They said because of my brother uses his tractor for his farm business, this transaction is considered as business transaction and cannot be processed. What a joke? And they also don't want to refund your money immediately, I was told to wait 3-10 business days. Are you guys serious at all? Total scam, don't use this service.

Original review: March 4, 2022

On 3-3-2022 I had to send money to Nigeria. World Remit had changed their online system so I had to get the money over there fast. I had to create a new account. I just used my new number and it would not let me in. So I started chatting with someone. And what they told me knocked me out in the water. I was banned from ever using the system I ask why they could not give me a reason. I was mad. Because this was my new number. Never used it or anything. Now what I am going to say is how I feel. I am sorry that women are getting scammed.

But common sense would tell you if a man is asking for large sums of money you should have the better sense not to give it to them. Because of this these women, it has caused a lot of people like myself much pain. MoneyGram owes me an apology and reasons why I can not use the services anymore, If I could I would eat their butts up in court. I could not believe what I was reading. I never scam anyone. I am a woman. But because it said Africa they want to judge me.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2022

If you valid your sanity, avoid using this company. I have transferred close to 30K overseas using Moneygram. It clearly states the 96K limits for a period of months, payment was blocked every time, and I would then have to spend about 30+ minutes communicating with an agent to try to find out why it was blocked. I linked my bank account and credit card, and they had all of my personal information, but it was still not good enough. I personally think that they are bias towards the country where the money is being received. I recently attempted to send $300 to someone who will be helping to maintain my property fence and maintenance. It took 3 days to be release because it was tied to my bank account.

Then 3 days later the receiver told me that there was an issue and they could not receive the funds. I just spent another 35 mins on the phone with Moneygram. They told me that it's company policy to deny sending the money because I don't really know the receiver. OMG--is this the same company that I just used to send almost 30 K? The receiver is a person that was recommended by a Pastor I know very well. Who is "Moneygram" to tell me whether my judgement is poor or not? Makes no sense to have employees sit there and use their biased questionnaire to try to gauge whether my transaction is legitimate or not.

The algorithm or process that they use is Stupid. If I lied and said that the woman was my relative, then it would be ok. Since I have transferred thousands of dollars, does it not suffice that I have common sense to transfer $300.00 to someone new? I have wasted time and feel so irritated about this company. I will now delete my account and never use them again. I only have to find another company to use. Also, their credit card fees are ridiculously high. I linked my bank account and yet this company is denying the transfer. It could also be that maybe because I linked my bank account and the fees are much lower so they choose to deny the transfer. Failed and Biased validation process against people in poorer countries. Based on Principle, you should not use Moneygram if you are from a third world country. Their algorithm and process is biased towards you and wastes precious time having you contact them to prove yourself with every transfer.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2022

Please stay away from this platform! It’s a scam! I tried to wire money online. The transaction has been in process for several days. I tried to cancel it calling their customer service. I had to speak to five different foreign representatives, who spoke broken English, being on hold for an hour, with no further resolution of my request. Wasted time, money snd energy!

MoneyGram Company Information