2. Finance
  3. Money Transfer

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.33/5

MoneyGram provides online and in-person money transfers, money orders and bill payments. Customers can send money domestically or internationally and choose from nearly 50 different currencies.

MoneyGram Learn More

MoneyGram Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MoneyGram?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about MoneyGram?

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

Do NOT use MoneyGram. I actually was sending money from myself to myself. I lost my debit card in Mexico so I needed to send myself money to have cash. I sent all of my money to me, as I don't have a lot of money and they canceled it for vague security reasons and deleted my account. Now I have to wait the 3-10 business days for money to get back in my bank to send it to myself through PayPal. I'm on the 6th day. (It's always 9-10) and I have 6 pesos left. Just don't use them unless you really don't care if and when your money is truly sent. There are too many competitors to deal with that nonsense.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

I sent money to Russia. Unfortunately, in many cities, they stopped working with MoneyGram. The receiver could not receive the money. I called to Money Gram and asked for refund. They gave me the number with which I had to go to Canada Post. Canada post gave me the new number and told that I should receive an email transfer for receiving my money back. I could not receive my money for more than one month. Every time I called Money Gram they just lie with a new reason. I will never come back as a customer to this company. With such an approach, one day, they will be out of business.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2021

Well I have use these people in the past. The fees have always been the same, but here recently I noticed sending money to my nephew while I’m on vacation was a bite. Excessive when I looked back at another transaction I sent a day before to my son it was ** - Double that of what I sent. This not be legal, but called customer service not help whatsoever. I’m calling someone over their head. I can see one Class Action Lawsuit in their future. We will see how this goes. Lost me as a Customer.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2020

I’ve been a long time customer for this company (for 12 years). They blocked my account out of the blue without any explanation, or a notifying email. I called, explaining the situation of not being able to log in, they said that the MoneyGram decided to not let me use their services online, and blocked my account. At least they could provide a reason or an explanation... They said: “ We can’t provide you with forward details". Absolutely unacceptable!!! I won’t wonder why their stocks fell from 270$ All the way to 6$.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2020

I have never ever had such a hard time receiving money! They were supposed to eTransfer 4 days ago! I have been on the phone with them at least!!! 12 times if not more, each time I received a different response! And they still can’t send the transfer because they are waiting on the bank to release it that could still take another 4 business days! They are frustrating to deal with, they have given me the run-around and passed me from department to department and just continuously apologize but never once went above and beyond to help me get my money. They are now saying it’s a technical problem, they don’t know when it will be fixed and that they may have to return the money whenever they get to me on the list of people also going through the same thing! They are FAR from quick or efficient!!!! If you want to get money to someone I would never recommend them, because if by some chance it gets “lost” ... Good luck!!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2020

I used this service to make a Money Gram transfer to Walmart. On the site it said if you allow a debit from your checking the money would be available in minutes. If you used a credit or debit card it would take 3-4 business days. The money was taken out of my account 12-9-2020 and still not available 12-14-2020. I was given the runaround. If I was not a working nurse I could have driven this money to my son to help him out. However, during covid I did not have the time. The last person I spoke to Annie said the website was incorrect and the 9th was not considered a business day. Next time I will use a carrier Pigeon! This is the one time I wish I could give negative stars.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2020

I use MoneyGram a lot. I've noticed that they jack up their fees during the holidays. And not just a dollar or two. The fees more than doubled. I'm sure folks are struggling this year, 2020, more than ever. MoneyGram seems to be taking advantage of that. Shame on them!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

PSA: Don't use this company! Alternatives such as Western Union, PayPal - literally ANY other competitor will be better. They have "lost" my transaction. Customer service is non-existent; most of the representatives don't know what they're talking about and will send you on a wild goose chase to pickup locations - which their website isn't correct about which locations offer their services. 90 days is an unacceptable amount of time to find out what is going on with an etransfer, let alone receive it. Any time you're transferred to a manager, the call is conveniently dropped. My client paid $10 for a service that isn't anywhere close to as stated. That's an extremely high fee for literally the worst customer experience I've ever had. While I have heard of people successfully completing transactions, mine was unsuccessful and their process to escalate the situation is abysmal.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2020

I have used MoneyGram services for many years, but my last three transactions online became a nightmare. Whatever is going on internally or externally with this company, it cannot be trusted! There is definitely fraud going whether it is on their part or the third party. I made three attempts to send the money, received message 'Transaction Error Try again' every time. The money was withdrawn from my account, but they claim that the transactions were not complete! My bank investigated it and confirmed that the money was successfully received! I trust my bank, but MoneyGram has become a Fraud! Do not trust it and do not use it!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2020

BE WARNED!! Terrible online service. Waited for 5 business days for authorization to come and on the 6th day the transaction was canceled for no reason. The customer service also doesn't know the reason for cancelation. And he very calmly informed me to transfer money again with no feelings that I lost 5 days and to do that again wait another 5 business days and still not sure if it will be processed or can get canceled again. I advise never to use their terrible and unreliable service.

MoneyGram Company Information