2. Finance
  3. Debt Settlement

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.39/5

JG Wentworth’s debt relief program helps you reduce or eliminate your debt in as little as two years. By appealing to creditors on your behalf, JG Wentworth helps manage what you owe and can potentially lower your loan interest rates. Its program is available in 20 states and Washington, D.C.

BOTTOM LINE

JG Wentworth is a financial services company with considerable experience reducing unsecured consumer debt, including credit card and personal loan debt. Most customers pay off debts in two to four years.

PROS
  • Easy to apply online or over the phone
  • Personalized debt relief programs
  • Fully online debt relief program
CONS
  • Not available in all states

What does JG Wentworth debt relief do?

JG Wentworth assists people with unsecured debts, primarily credit card debt, medical debt and personal loan debt. To get started with the company's debt relief program, visit its website and fill out the online contact form. You need to provide basic personal information, including:

• Your amount of debt
  • Your name
  • Your email address
  • Your phone number

JG Wentworth uses this information to determine whether you qualify for its debt relief program. If you qualify, one of its debt relief representatives reaches out to discuss your circumstances and create a no-obligation quote that’s personalized for your situation.

Once you accept the terms of its debt settlement program, JG Wentworth helps you create a dedicated account to store your monthly deposits. You pay into this account each month instead of making minimum payments on your debt. While you’re growing your account, JG Wentworth’s representatives work with your creditors to negotiate a settlement with each of your creditors.

How much does JG Wentworth debt relief cost?

JG Wentworth charges anywhere from 18% to 25% of your total debt amount. However, fees vary based on state regulations and the details of your situation, so make sure to ask a representative about any extra charges. The company does not charge a fee until it has successfully resolved a debt on your behalf.

How long does JG Wentworth’s debt relief program take?

Although the program length varies, JG Wentworth states that the average individual can pay off their debt within 24 to 48 months of starting the debt relief program. We recommend asking a representative how long the program took for people in similar situations to yours.

JG Wentworth FAQ

Does JG Wentworth do personal loans?
Yes, JG Wentworth offers unsecured personal loans from $1,000 to $40,000 and business loans from $5,000 to $250,000.
What percent does JG Wentworth debt relief charge?
JG Wentworth charges between 18% to 25% of your total debt amount for its debt relief services. The actual percentage depends on your specific situation and state regulations.
Where is JG Wentworth debt relief available?
JG Wentworth operates in 20 states and Washington, D.C., including Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Florida, Indiana, Lousiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, Mississippi, North Carolina, Nebraska, New Mexico, New York, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Virginia and Wisconsin.
Will JG Wentworth debt settlement hurt my credit score?
Because you stop making payments to your creditors during debt settlement, it can have an adverse effect on your credit score. However, this effect is typically less than what is caused by bankruptcy, which makes debt settlement a viable alternative.

Is JG Wentworth debt relief really worth it?

JG Wentworth’s debt relief program is completely online, so this service is ideal for consumers who want an online, easy-to-manage debt relief program. The company even offers free assessments for anyone curious about the program, which is available in 20 states and Washington, D.C. If you’re interested, visit JG Wentworth’s website and fill out the debt relief contact form.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about JG Wentworth Debt Relief?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about JG Wentworth Debt Relief?

Original review: March 23, 2021

I was initially going through a different company for a couple months and JG Wentworth's selling point was they offered a lot more benefits. They're straightforward with you and if you show them that you're responsible, you're eligible to have the remainder of the debt resolved with something like a personal loan. After six months into the program, I could qualify for them to go ahead and settle the rest of the debt. They pay it off, and then I just continue to pay them off. That's a huge benefit and and something I could take advantage of. It takes a load of stress off my shoulders and gives that peace of mind too.

I'm satisfied with where I'm at in the program so far. I get plenty of emails, and the website is user-friendly, straightforward, transparent. They're good at answering my questions or returning my calls. They've already settled two accounts. Things are going well and it's a good possibility I'd be completely settled by the end of this year with things changing for the better. My wife is working now and I plan on doubling or tripling down on payments soon. I feel confident about the program and my situation. My only regret is that I didn't go to JG Wentworth initially. I wish I knew about them a lot sooner. If I ran across a friend or if my son was in similar situation, that would definitely be my number one choice and recommendation.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Deshaun, congratulations on reaching your first two settlements! We're thrilled you're so pleased with our service and that our program is helping you so much. Thank you for your feedback - we look forward to continuing to help you on your journey to a more financially stable future!

Get buying tips about Debt Settlement delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 12, 2021

I received a sort of a generic offer for a loan from JG Wentworth. I replied and they said it wouldn't be a personal loan, it would be a debt consolidation. They were going to take all my credit card debts. It wasn't originally what I thought but they said, "We can help reduce the amount of debt that you have if you're interested in hearing about that." We went over that and it sounded like I could assign any of my debts to them and they would get in touch with those companies and try to negotiate some sort of a low payoff. An outstanding loan with one company for about $10,000 was reduced to $1,600. It was kind of calculated on how much I owed ultimately and I'm paying for that with each paycheck I get. They take out a couple hundred dollars that goes into some sort of an escrow account. As that builds up, they can call and offer to another credit card. It's going to take some time for these others to get paid off but early on, I enjoyed some success.

I talked to one person on that initial call and they had a second guy follow up the next day. He went through a very lengthy phone call which was a lot more than I was prepared but he was very thorough. They've also got a little website that I can log into and see all the different accounts that they're handling for me and the status of those things. I had called and talked to two or three different people, and they all seem nice enough. One thing they did say they could do was they could get some of these harassing phone calls turned off. I probably get 15 calls every day from one particular account that I have. Their advice to me was don't engage in them because they'll indicate that that account is still active, and we want to pursue it and work it down through their means. They did say that they could get calls like that blocked but I don't think I've had any success with that.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Steven! We're glad to hear how our program is helping you - thanks for sharing! We're always here for you if you ever have any questions or concerns regarding your program. Please feel free to contact us at 800-715-9501.

Original review: March 8, 2021

My ex-husband was trying to take from me some property that I had (some gold jewelry that I acquired when I was married to him). Not only did I have lawyer fees to pay, but I had a surgery that had come up and I had to pay that off too. My credit card bill kept getting worse and worse. I realized I was making payments on my credit card, but my interest was 29%. It was so high that every month that I was trying to pay off wasn’t doing anything. We had also recently moved to another house, so I had a credit card open for furniture. I was getting behind on all my payments and I was looking for a personal loan to pay that off.

Initially, I was contacted by somebody from JG Wentworth and they were super helpful and explained everything to me. It wasn’t the best option for me, but at that time, it was the only option that I was being given. This was after I contacted a few other loan companies. I went ahead and the person on the other line was very knowledgeable. We were talking about it for an hour and a half and all he did was answer all my questions and concerns. I'm normally the type of person that if I don’t have all the answers, I won’t go for it and he helped me out, talked to me, and made sure that I knew what was going on. I trusted him.

I'm not disappointed, but I don’t like the fact that my credit score went so low. Also, when I call and I get the recording. I can’t speak to anybody and then, I have to wait for their callback. There was a moment where I played phone tag for two days before I finally got a chance to speak with a representative. Other than that, it was fine. Even the representatives reached out to me on my cell phone and they texted me, which was great. That works easier for me, sometimes. All in all, everybody at JG Wentworth has been cooperative. I've never had a problem talking to any of the associates. If I wanted to add more money to my account, they were more than helpful. We’ve already paid off two major credit cards quickly and and I have one more left. They’ve been very helpful throughout the whole process.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2021

I was looking to consolidate my credit cards. I was going through a divorce, and everything was pretty hard for me. But none of these companies were as customer-oriented and clear like JG Wentworth was. The application process was good. Talking to their rep gave me some comfort, a little bit of security, and confidence. Their representatives gave me that trustworthy feeling. They were very helpful. It made everything so easy.

The customer support has been excellent. One of the things that I like and feel comfortable was the fact that I can text someone and I will get a text back in minutes. If I send one 8 o'clock in the morning, I know I'm going to get a reply in an hour or two. That has been very important for me. I have an issue and I text. Five minutes later, I'm receiving a text back and saying, “Okay, we took care of it.” They have been very supportive and on top of things too. The assistance has been wonderful. Everything has gone so smoothly. I will recommend them.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Spencer! We're so happy to hear how comfortable you feel working with the JG Wentworth team - we're always here for you whenever you have a question or concern regarding your program!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2021

If you're already in absolute disaster and nobody's doing anything for you, maybe J.G. Wentworth Debt Relief could help. I had done debt consolidation with another company but they tried to give me a 30% interest rate and it was ridiculous because it was higher than my credit card was. The average now for credit cards is 18 to 26 but still, I never had a 26%. J.G. Wentworth gave me a better deal, so I went with them and transferred my account over. I initially wanted to deal with them for debt consolidation but they said no. So, I had to go with a different company, but then all of a sudden, it was okay. It's only been a few months and so far, things are doing fine. I knew that my credit report was going to take a major hit, so it's in the crapper. But hopefully, it will repair itself. From what they told me, it should have started making some ticks upward by now, and it hasn't.

But overall, my experience with them has been good. I haven't heard from anybody in the last two or three months and I don't know if I was supposed to. But the money’s being withdrawn from my account and it looks like it's paying off the other account. The other account’s not happy, but tough luck. Other than that, it looks like the program is working. I was disappointed that we couldn't roll over some of the other debts that I was hoping to consolidate, but it is what it is. As far as anyone is legally allowed to, their service has met my needs. I went from an 800-point credit score, down to a 500. And it has been some tough times. All in all, if you have good credit, they're there for you. But if you have bad credit, they don't care. It's not JG Wentworth though, it's the entire system. It's rigged so that people who are in hard times fall into harder times. So then, they have to do a debt relief program and they're screwed with 30% interest rates.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Anna, thank you for sharing! We’re happy to hear you’re pleased with our service. Credit impact can be difficult to predict and is different for everyone. Our program is designed to get your debt under control, so once your other debts start to settle you will see your financial life improve. If you have any questions or concerns regarding your account, please feel free to reach out so we can discuss in more detail. Remember, we are here for you every step of this journey.

Original review: April 16, 2021

I had looked into Lexington Law and almost did that one. Then, they were like, Yeah, well, if something happens legally – oh, well.” So, I was like, “Yeah, well, no, thanks.” JG Wentworth was a little more comforting and they respond quickly enough. Their website is very informative and I use it to make sure I understand what's happening and what I'm doing. So far, I've settled on four accounts. Two others are in negotiations and two haven't been looked at yet. Things are going well and I'm getting out of the hole. They settle on good amounts and save me some money.

Original review: April 14, 2021

It was a great opportunity for JG to handle my situation. They kept me informed of all business. And was concerned about my well being. They kept me financially stable being to care for house whole things while paying my debt off.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Dwight! We're thrilled you enjoy working with us on your journey to a stronger financial future - thank you for sharing!

Original review: April 3, 2021

The reps from JG Wentworth has answered every time I called and they’ve answered every question I’ve needed. They were super easy to get back with and I didn't have to call and leave messages for them to call me back. They've explained to me real thoroughly how the process works and it has worked exactly as they said.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Donald! We're thrilled you're so pleased with our service - thank you for sharing!

Original review: March 19, 2021

The piling bills, increasing debt plus, with this COVID thing, it slowed down at work, layoffs, made me seek out the service from JG Wentworth. Dealing with their rep was pretty good and very informative, for the most part.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Aubrey! We're glad everything is going well - we're here to help if you ever have any questions or concerns regarding your program!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: March 11, 2021

I never saw any bad things from JG Wentworth during my negotiation with them. They are very good people. I'm very satisfied, but I feel that I'm still in the same level before I did the setup. The process is moving very slow. It should be quicker than that. My score is down and I still owe the money. I'm still getting monthly statements with no discounts too.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us!

The debt settlement program is designed to help individuals get their unsecured debt under control. Our goal is to help clients lower and payoff their debt with the hope that they will ultimately see a significant improvement to their financial profile.

We understand how it may feel like you’re not making a dent in your debt fast enough, but you are on a good path. It’s also important to view this program as a structured monthly budget. Our negotiations team is given a small window of time by your creditors to pay off the agreed settlement balance. While that happens, your monthly payments help build back up your Dedicated Savings Account (DSA) to be able to support the next settlement.

Whenever able, we encourage clients to make additional payments or increase the amount of your monthly deposits. These additional funds help your DSA grow faster and may allow negotiations with creditors to begin sooner than expected. If this is something you may be interested in please contact our Client Services team at 800-715-9501.

Again, thank you for your feedback. Please know that we are dedicated to providing the best possible service throughout the entirety of your journey with JG Wentworth. Email dsreviews@jgwentworth.com at any time to let us know how we can continue to improve your experience.

Best,

JG Wentworth

Original review: March 10, 2021

JG Wentworth had good reviews, which was why I followed them. The reps were pleasant. They said that the program was going to take roughly three years depending on how quickly I pay off the debt. At this point, we’re working on it but some stuff has been clarified already.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Krystal! We're happy you've enjoyed our service so far - we're always to help if you have any questions or concerns about your program!

Original review: March 9, 2021

My decision to go with J.G. Wentworth has been the best decision I've made in a long time. I am getting my finances together and better able to budget my money. I am paying off credit card debts and my credit score is improving after six months.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Vanessa! We're thrilled you are so happy working with us - we look forward to continue helping you reach your financial goals!

Original review: March 9, 2021

The service has been good and I'm very happy with everybody. We've paid off two cards which were the low ones in 6 months. I've got 2 more to complete in another year to year and a half. I wish it was quicker. They also keep telling me to call the credit bureau but I wish they would do that.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Melinda, thanks for your feedback! It's wonderful to hear you've already reached your first two settlements.

We understand it may feel like you’re not making a dent in your debt fast enough, so we encourage clients to make additional payments or increase the amount of your monthly deposits whenever possible. These additional funds help your DSA grow faster and may allow negotiations with creditors to begin sooner than expected! If this is something you may be interested in please contact our Client Services team at 800-715-9501.

Again, thank you for your feedback. We look forward to continuing to help you through this journey!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

Enrolling in the program with JG Wentworth went smoothly. There have been a few debts handled as of now. It has been an excellent service and getting out of debt is the biggest benefit.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Christopher! It's wonderful to hear how much our program is helping you - we're excited to be helping you on your journey to a debt free future!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

I made the decision to become debt-free this year so I started doing some research and Googling, and JG Wentworth was the one that came back with the best customer support and service. They had the best ratings I could find and they didn't seem like a scam. I like that they have a customer portal where I can keep track of my documents and what they're doing. That's also a plus. I have my own login and I can go into my account. It's very cut and dry. It's all tabs, which is what I could possibly need.

The only thing I wish is that I could do an online chat with them since I'm at work and I don't have time to talk to them during the day. But most of that is due to privacy issues. It's not their fault. It's the credit card companies or the financial institutions they're dealing with. JG Wentworth took a little too long to negotiate but all my account records were in good standing when I reached out to them. Other than that, they were responsive, easy to work with and very polite. I've had no issues so far.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: Feb. 23, 2021

The customer service at JG Wentworth is good but it has taken too much time for them to pay my debt. In the beginning, it was 40 days till they would start paying and after that, it was four months before they would start paying. Then, after that, it was a lot of things that they haven’t started paying yet. They paid three debts but as for the rest, they haven’t paid anything yet. They should contact me more times but I haven’t heard anything about the situation.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us!

Best,

JG Wentworth

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

I reached out to J.G. Wentworth a year ago to get some credit stuff fixed. The program has been going for nine months now and it has been pretty good. The quality of their service is good. I'd tell my friends and it'd be a good idea to go with J.G. Wentworth.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Tyler! We're happy to hear everything is going so well with your program - we're looking forward to continuing to help you on your journey to a debt free future!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

I received a letter in the mail from JG Wentworth, which stated that they would give me a loan. I tried to get the loan but I wasn't approved for it. But the gentleman told me that there was another thing that he could see if I was qualified for. He told me that I was qualified and then he explained to me what it was. It sounded good and I gave it a shot. It was a program where they would pay off my bills that I hold on my credit cards. They told me after paying off all the stuff, my credit score would be back to where it was. The gentleman also told me to not take out a lot of cards back after getting my score back, and just take one card. He was letting me know the real deal.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Leroy! We're happy your representative was able to help you find the right path for you - thank you for sharing!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

There was a change in my income last year and I fell behind on my credit cards. I needed to consolidate my credit cards so I reached out to J.G. Wentworth. My credit cards were about nine and they paid off one. Lately, I haven't gotten any kind of update yet and I haven't had time to reach out. But whenever I've reached out to them, it has been good. J.G. Wentworth helps to get your credit in line the right way.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2021

We should have shopped around more ‘cause with the way things are going with J.G. Wentworth, it's really not helping us any. I thought the process was gonna be a little bit quicker. But right now, we're waiting on somebody that they've referred. It also looks like things are going to go into default and everything else a lot quicker. Sometimes, their customer support has been difficult to deal with. On the last phone call I received, the rep wasn't of much help. She was trying to add stuff and I told her no. So I'm just hoping that our experience gets better.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2021

JG Wentworth is really responsive and they are getting my account settled. The main goal is to get my debt paid down so the more money I kick out, the quicker they’ll get settled. But one of my last payments with them was $779 and I didn't think it was correct. So I need to get in touch with them about it. Other than that, they’re doing what they need to do and so far, so good.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2021

I was looking for a finance company to help me out with all the debt that I have. I spoke with some different companies and I decided to go with JG Wentworth because when I spoke with the first person, I liked the way he explained everything to me. He was very honest, not like the other companies. The program is working pretty good. They've already settled four accounts. I like the way they settle the accounts. It's been very helpful for me. I'm blessed right now because they're doing a great job. They should keep doing their good work in helping people. I'm happy with what they're doing for me right now, so far.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2021

JG Wentworth likes to get a hold of me when they want something from me. But when I try to get a hold of them, I don't have much luck. They settled one of my accounts and I've been trying to get into the website to get the agreement to sign it but I can't get in. I can't get through their customer service number nor through to the person that texts or calls me all the time. So, I'm a little discouraged by the lack of communication there. This is my first settlement offer out of three that we’re pursuing. It's kind of aggravating, I’m not real happy with not knowing what’s going on with that. This has been going on for a couple of weeks now.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

I liked J.G. Wentworth Debt's reviews online. The representatives always call me when there's an update. So, I’m always up to date with what’s going on. And every time I call them, I always get results. When I have questions or when I want them to do something, they're very flexible. J.G. Wentworth is very helpful. It's doing its purpose.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Lourene, we're happy to hear everything is going well with your program! If you ever have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us - we're here for you every step of the way!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2021

The support has been great. When I call or have any concerns, J.G. Wentworth gets back to me very quickly, and they answer all my questions and put me at ease about some things. In that way, I'm pleased. Also, they are very thorough. The information and the programs are good. They give you all the information and tools that you need. However, the program is a little slow. Not as much communication as I would like. Also, sometimes I'm not sure where we are or what is going on. I still have a couple of cases out there that we haven't talked about, or they haven't gotten back with me about. But I feel if I call them, they can answer any question. That is a plus as well. I would recommend J.G. Wentworth to anyone. I have talked about the situation to a couple of people about how the program works. And because I've been diligent about the payments, they have offered me other things. So, I’m very pleased with the situation so far.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Shazanta, thanks for sharing how pleased you are with our service! Please feel free to reach out with any questions or concerns about your program - we’re here for you every step of the way!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

John was very helpful. Thank you for all your support and making me understand how your program worked and how it would help me on the long run in the future. Thank you so much for understanding me John.

By, Gloria

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

Victor was a great help and explained things perfectly. When the first option did not work out, he continued to try and help to find an option that would work for me. I feel relieved that there is an end in sight and it won't take years to accomplish.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

I feel as though a weight has been lifted and now I can breathe. I have been given a new lease on life and I plan to make the best of it. I was looking at approximately ten years before I would have the chance to be debt free. Now in less than half that time I will be able to accomplish my goal.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

Connor ** your debt resolution specialist was most helpful, courteous and professional. He was very patient and informative in guiding me to make this difficult decision. He assured me this process with creditors will be handled in the best manner. I trust him and he should be valued as a great asset to your firm. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2020

I contacted J.G. Wentworth a few months back to get out of debt. I'm glad I did! These people really know their stuff. I felt educated and empowered and am working to improve my credit day by day. I couldn't have gotten things on track if it weren't for J.G. Wentworth. Thanks!

JG Wentworth Debt Relief Company Information