4.1/5 (283 ratings)

About JG Wentworth Debt Relief

JG Wentworth has been helping individuals overcome financial hardships for more than 30 years with a variety of financial solutions. JG Wentworth Debt Relief’s services can help reduce or eliminate your unsecured debt in as little as 24 to 48 months. The company negotiates with creditors on your behalf and may be able to settle your debt for significantly less than what you owe.

Pros

• One monthly payment
  • Good credit not required
  • No upfront fees

Cons

• Not available in all states

Bottom Line

JG Wentworth Debt Relief can be helpful to those with $10,000 or more in debt. Although there are fees associated with their services, these fees are only charged as your debt is settled.

Top JG Wentworth Debt Relief Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Customer service was very prompt. Within a couple of months, I saw my debts getting settled. I get a text and I can accept the offer right there so it makes the process easier. .....

Verified

It was a great opportunity for JG to handle my situation. They kept me informed of all business. And was concerned about my well being. They kept me financially stable being to ca...

What does JG Wentworth Debt Relief do?

The JG Wentworth Debt Relief's program assists individuals with unsecured debts, primarily credit card debt, medical debt, personal loan debt and private student loan debt. To qualify for the company's program, you must:

• Reside in a eligible state
  • Have more than $10,000 in unsecured debt
  • Be able to afford the monthly program payment

A certified debt specialist will review your debt to determine if you qualify for the JG Wentworth debt relief program. If you choose to enroll in the program, JG Wentworth Debt Relief will begin working with creditors on your behalf to lower your debt.

How much does JG Wentworth Debt Relief cost?

JG Wentworth Debt Relief does not have any upfront fees. Fee percentages, typically between 18% to 25% of your enrolled debt amount, are only paid once the company settles each debt. The actual percentage depends on your specific situation and state regulations.

Fees are calculated into your monthly program payment and will never increase. You are free to cancel the program with no penalty at any time during the debt settlement process.

How long does JG Wentworth Debt Relief's program take?

Although the program length varies, JG Wentworth Debt Relief states that the average individual can pay off their debt within 24 to 48 months of starting the debt relief program.

We recommend asking a certified debt specialist how long the program took for people in similar situations to yours.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief FAQ

Where is JG Wentworth Debt Relief available?
JG Wentworth Debt Relief services are currently available in 30 states and Washington, D.C. The company operates in:
  • Alabama
  • Utah
  • Virginia
  • Washington, D.C.
  • Wisconsin
Will JG Wentworth Debt Relief affect my credit rating?
Enrolling in any debt settlement program will likely have a negative impact on your credit rating because you choose to stop paying your creditors. As your debts start to settle and you maintain good credit behavior, your credit rating will likely begin to improve.
What types of debt are eligible for JG Wentworth Debt Relief’s program?
JG Wentworth helps individuals with more than $10,000 in unsecured debt, which includes credit card debt, medical debt, personal loan debt and private student loan debt.

Is JG Wentworth Debt Relief really worth it?

JG Wentworth Debt Relief’s program is completely online, so the service might be ideal if you have at least $10,000 in high interest unsecured debt, are unable to get approved for a debt consolidation loan or are looking for an alternative to bankruptcy.

JG Wentworth is a member of the American Fair Credit Council and has been helping individuals overcome financial hardships for more than 30 years. The company provides a free savings estimate that can help you decide if its program is a good fit for you.

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about JG Wentworth Debt Relief?

Original review: Aug. 11, 2022

JG Wentworth's commercials are catchy. I needed some financial direction because I’m drowning in debt. I looked at their website and saw that they did help people with debt reconstruction and credit card payments. Sure enough, they were able to help me. The program worked really well. They worked with the different creditors I had. They explained the program to me and what they do with the creditors. They were able to eliminate the high-interest rates, and then get me on a regular payment schedule to where it didn’t show up bad on my credit reports.

The customer support team was great. They were pretty easy to get in touch with if I had any questions. There was usually one person that I talk to but then, if that person wasn’t there, there was somebody else. They could pull up my information and answer my questions. If they couldn’t answer them, they would research, and then call me back and let me know. So, the people that work there were very supportive and pretty knowledgeable.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Robert! It's so nice to hear how much of a positive experience you are having with your program - we're excited to be on this journey towards the financial future you deserve!

Get buying tips about Debt Settlement delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2022

So I have been very happy with JG Wentworth. I feel the customer service is good, they have been working on my settlements and then because of my good standing they offered me to move to a third party loan to “pay off my debt quicker”. Sounded good, right? Nah, first of all the new loan underwriters are terribly invasive. Despite that I did connected my bank statements as instructed - they claim they can’t see all of it so want more - also they are disputing that an account that should be with JGW is on the settlement plan and want me to get a “good standing” letter. Done. They are too invasive and hard to communicate with because as you can guess they are in another country. I emailed both JGW and New Credit America loan recruiter, both never replied back. Why would I move to a company that is hard to work with upfront? It actually put a bad reflection on JGW because of this company’s (NCA) poor performance. Beware, just stick with JGW. NCA will request dual information and are hard to work with.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Tanya! We're pleased to hear how much you enjoy working with us - feel free to reach out to one of our representatives with any questions or concerns.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

I had the rep on the phone at the time. And when I said the situation, the guy said they could do it. I was at a crossroads to where it would either be that or the dreadful thing. But I didn't want to do the dreadful thing. So he was on the line, and I said, “Well, if I'm gonna do this, I need to do it now.” However, in advertising, it needs to be made aware upfront that not all accounts made can be settled. It could very well be in whatever I signed, so be it. But that is something that needs to be stressed upfront, so that people wouldn't be surprised. Because what I have to do for one of these accounts is not only am I paying JG Wentworth, I have to pay a substantial amount to that account that didn't get settled. So, it's still expensive. The surprises have been a setback for me.

The first one, I got served with a subpoena. That account had to be taken out of the JG Wentworth thing and be on its own. So, that is the one that I’m able to make payments to so I wouldn’t have to go to court or garnished. Now, I got a summons from Discover. They would only talk to JG Wentworth. But it has gone through that whole process. I'm now just waiting, but I have a feeling if I wouldn't be able to do it, or if they couldn't come to negotiations, I don't know if Discover would do the same thing that that other company did with me and I would be back where I was. Other than that, JG Wentworth's services has been helpful.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Kimberly! Thank you for sharing your experience working with JG Wentworth - please don't hesitate to reach out with any questions or concerns you have regarding your program and the status of your accounts.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2021

The reps have been awesome. They’ve been on the ball. But what I don’t like about the program is when we originally started talking to JG Wentworth, we were talking to them about my wife's debt. They talked me into pooling mine in, which was a bad idea. And from that point, they asked us not to pay any of the bills, which were all on time. So, eight months down the road, we saw that the money that we owed originally is the money that we were still paying overall for the debt. They are doing what they told us that they would do as far as settling the accounts. But because I follow everything, we really don’t save. Because we pay them, then we pay our extra fees plus the original debt. And we come out the same as what we were before.

Maybe we didn’t understand how it would go. And I shouldn’t have let them talk me into putting my debt in with my wife’s. Because both of us were in where we couldn't buy enough of anything for a while. So, it is not that we needed to buy anything. It was just I was trying to concentrate on my wife's $30,000 worth of cards that she had. So, there were no problems before, keeping up with our debts. It was just that they weren’t getting paid off. It’s a learning experience for me. And I have kids, so I wouldn’t let them go through that again. But as far as the customer service there, whether they have been males or females, they’ve been on the point. They reached out to us a lot and called us when they were supposed to.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

They were very straightforward and upfront when I asked questions. They told me how they make their money, which was my concern because I was afraid it could be predatory lending. Also, I had account reps I could call. I had them by name and I could call and ask for them. That was helpful. The communication was really great and the onboarding was really easy and effective. There's a digital platform that has transparency that you can log in and control and add content to. And they were really direct upfront with how it would work. Even as individuals, you need to default on something before you can get any agreements and that is the one thing about this that you need to know going into this, which they were very clear with me.

They took over the interaction with my creditors. I use their address and their phone number so most of the calls go to them, which is really convenient. They were also very clear that my credit score is going to drop and they said that it's going to take a certain amount of time. But now my credit score is way over what it was. I've increased my credit score by like 120 points in less than 11 months. It's a great program as long as it's on the up and up. They were super helpful and they were nice.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Cody! It's wonderful to hear how much our program is helping you - we look forward to continue working with you on your journey to financial freedom!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

I'm happy with how you are taking care of my debts, in a quick manner. I was skeptical at first on how it was going to work, and I felt bad as I saw all the past due bills came in, but when I saw the first settlement, then the next and the next, I felt better about the process.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Marie! We are pleased you enjoy working with our team so much - thanks for sharing!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

When I called JG Wentworth to ask what we were looking at, it was a quick and painless process in terms of the amount of time it was going to take to pay off the debt versus other programs. I've talked to a couple of different people at JG Wentworth. Their communication is good, especially early on. They talk to you a lot, get you set up, and explain everything very well. There's an online account management program and you can go in there and update things, or look at where you’re at, what accounts are in payment, where they’re at, and if it’s paid off.

It's a flat payment every month and JG Wentworth is taking care of it for me. It's not something I have to continue to try to call and get things paid down. I don't have to communicate with everybody. They also offered a loan to pay things off. It apparently rebuilds your credit more quickly. I thought it was going to be the same terms in terms of payoff time, but it was going to extend my time another two years. I told them no and they were completely fine with me not wanting to do it.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Tori! It's so nice to hear how well your program is going so far - we are excited to be on this journey towards the financial future you deserve!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

Have done a great job with the handling of my debt, have settled some of the accounts. Would recommend you any time, they let me know what is going on and the schedule of payments. The people call and e mail me how things are going.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Patricia! We're thrilled to hear how much of a positive experience you are having with our team to find the best financial path for you - thanks for sharing!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

It was not explained to me that we would not settle with my debtor right away. My credit score is plummeting, I can’t buy a house thanks to that. I would rather pay off my full debt than settle for less years later. Worst program ever!!! Please give me my money back.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Thank you for your feedback - we are having a representative reach out to discuss your concerns.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

I have good experience and JG is helping me. Good company and I will refer to my friends. I am happy that I found the JG company. Excellent company for those who have a debt and every time when I call JG they help me.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Janet! It's great to hear how much you enjoy working with our team to find the best path for you - thanks for sharing!

JG Wentworth Debt Relief Company Information