4.2/5 (257 ratings)

About JG Wentworth Debt Relief

JG Wentworth has been helping individuals overcome financial hardships for more than 30 years with a variety of financial solutions. JG Wentworth Debt Relief’s services can help reduce or eliminate your unsecured debt in as little as 24 to 48 months. The company negotiates with creditors on your behalf and may be able to settle your debt for significantly less than what you owe.

Pros

• One monthly payment
  • Good credit not required
  • No upfront fees

Cons

• Not available in all states

Bottom Line

JG Wentworth Debt Relief can be helpful to those with $10,000 or more in debt. Although there are fees associated with their services, these fees are only charged as your debt is settled.

Top JG Wentworth Debt Relief Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Customer service was very prompt. Within a couple of months, I saw my debts getting settled. I get a text and I can accept the offer right there so it makes the process easier. .....

Verified

It was a great opportunity for JG to handle my situation. They kept me informed of all business. And was concerned about my well being. They kept me financially stable being to ca...

What does JG Wentworth Debt Relief do?

The JG Wentworth Debt Relief's program assists individuals with unsecured debts, primarily credit card debt, medical debt, personal loan debt and private student loan debt. To qualify for the company's program, you must:

• Reside in a eligible state
  • Have more than $10,000 in unsecured debt
  • Be able to afford the monthly program payment

A certified debt specialist will review your debt to determine if you qualify for the JG Wentworth debt relief program. If you choose to enroll in the program, JG Wentworth Debt Relief will begin working with creditors on your behalf to lower your debt.

How much does JG Wentworth Debt Relief cost?

JG Wentworth Debt Relief does not have any upfront fees. Fee percentages, typically between 18% to 25% of your enrolled debt amount, are only paid once the company settles each debt. The actual percentage depends on your specific situation and state regulations.

Fees are calculated into your monthly program payment and will never increase. You are free to cancel the program with no penalty at any time during the debt settlement process.

How long does JG Wentworth Debt Relief's program take?

Although the program length varies, JG Wentworth Debt Relief states that the average individual can pay off their debt within 24 to 48 months of starting the debt relief program.

We recommend asking a certified debt specialist how long the program took for people in similar situations to yours.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief FAQ

Where is JG Wentworth Debt Relief available?
JG Wentworth Debt Relief services are currently available in 30 states and Washington, D.C. The company operates in:
  • Alabama
  • Utah
  • Virginia
  • Washington, D.C.
  • Wisconsin
Will JG Wentworth Debt Relief affect my credit rating?
Enrolling in any debt settlement program will likely have a negative impact on your credit rating because you choose to stop paying your creditors. As your debts start to settle and you maintain good credit behavior, your credit rating will likely begin to improve.
What types of debt are eligible for JG Wentworth Debt Relief’s program?
JG Wentworth helps individuals with more than $10,000 in unsecured debt, which includes credit card debt, medical debt, personal loan debt and private student loan debt.

Is JG Wentworth Debt Relief really worth it?

JG Wentworth Debt Relief’s program is completely online, so the service might be ideal if you have at least $10,000 in high interest unsecured debt, are unable to get approved for a debt consolidation loan or are looking for an alternative to bankruptcy.

JG Wentworth is a member of the American Fair Credit Council and has been helping individuals overcome financial hardships for more than 30 years. The company provides a free savings estimate that can help you decide if its program is a good fit for you.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about JG Wentworth Debt Relief?

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

I had the rep on the phone at the time. And when I said the situation, the guy said they could do it. I was at a crossroads to where it would either be that or the dreadful thing. But I didn't want to do the dreadful thing. So he was on the line, and I said, “Well, if I'm gonna do this, I need to do it now.” However, in advertising, it needs to be made aware upfront that not all accounts made can be settled. It could very well be in whatever I signed, so be it. But that is something that needs to be stressed upfront, so that people wouldn't be surprised. Because what I have to do for one of these accounts is not only am I paying JG Wentworth, I have to pay a substantial amount to that account that didn't get settled. So, it's still expensive. The surprises have been a setback for me.

The first one, I got served with a subpoena. That account had to be taken out of the JG Wentworth thing and be on its own. So, that is the one that I’m able to make payments to so I wouldn’t have to go to court or garnished. Now, I got a summons from Discover. They would only talk to JG Wentworth. But it has gone through that whole process. I'm now just waiting, but I have a feeling if I wouldn't be able to do it, or if they couldn't come to negotiations, I don't know if Discover would do the same thing that that other company did with me and I would be back where I was. Other than that, JG Wentworth's services has been helpful.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Kimberly! Thank you for sharing your experience working with JG Wentworth - please don't hesitate to reach out with any questions or concerns you have regarding your program and the status of your accounts.

Get buying tips about Debt Settlement delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2021

The reps have been awesome. They’ve been on the ball. But what I don’t like about the program is when we originally started talking to JG Wentworth, we were talking to them about my wife's debt. They talked me into pooling mine in, which was a bad idea. And from that point, they asked us not to pay any of the bills, which were all on time. So, eight months down the road, we saw that the money that we owed originally is the money that we were still paying overall for the debt. They are doing what they told us that they would do as far as settling the accounts. But because I follow everything, we really don’t save. Because we pay them, then we pay our extra fees plus the original debt. And we come out the same as what we were before.

Maybe we didn’t understand how it would go. And I shouldn’t have let them talk me into putting my debt in with my wife’s. Because both of us were in where we couldn't buy enough of anything for a while. So, it is not that we needed to buy anything. It was just I was trying to concentrate on my wife's $30,000 worth of cards that she had. So, there were no problems before, keeping up with our debts. It was just that they weren’t getting paid off. It’s a learning experience for me. And I have kids, so I wouldn’t let them go through that again. But as far as the customer service there, whether they have been males or females, they’ve been on the point. They reached out to us a lot and called us when they were supposed to.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

They were very straightforward and upfront when I asked questions. They told me how they make their money, which was my concern because I was afraid it could be predatory lending. Also, I had account reps I could call. I had them by name and I could call and ask for them. That was helpful. The communication was really great and the onboarding was really easy and effective. There's a digital platform that has transparency that you can log in and control and add content to. And they were really direct upfront with how it would work. Even as individuals, you need to default on something before you can get any agreements and that is the one thing about this that you need to know going into this, which they were very clear with me.

They took over the interaction with my creditors. I use their address and their phone number so most of the calls go to them, which is really convenient. They were also very clear that my credit score is going to drop and they said that it's going to take a certain amount of time. But now my credit score is way over what it was. I've increased my credit score by like 120 points in less than 11 months. It's a great program as long as it's on the up and up. They were super helpful and they were nice.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Cody! It's wonderful to hear how much our program is helping you - we look forward to continue working with you on your journey to financial freedom!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2021

JG Wentworth's program sounded pretty awesome and I've heard of them for some of the other things that they do. So, I decided to give them a call and with them, it didn't matter who I talked to, whether it was via chat, by email, through the portal, or if they called me, everyone was always so nice. But on the portal, I couldn't associate where my money completely went because their fees weren't on there. When I talked to a rep and said I had more money than what was reflected on the portal, I was told that they took out one of their fees. It made sense after she said that but she said that they didn't have it listed on the portal and she even agreed it would be good to have it on there.

Other than that, all of my debts that I had put through them got settled and they were really great. When I added a debt and decided I didn't want certain cards to go through, they said they could easily remove them and that it wasn't a big deal. It was awesome and it made a big difference. It put a lot of relief where I didn't have to worry about the bills. I've never been late on a payment but when we started, they told me to stop paying my bills. They said I had to have things go to that certain point where my creditors were willing to negotiate for the settlement and that made sense because if I keep paying, they're never going to let me settle. And I understood that process after they talked to me about it a little bit more.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Carissa! We're glad to hear you have had a such a positive experience working with the JG Wentworth team - please don't hesitate to reach out whenever you have any questions about your program or the client portal. We're always happy to help!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

I got an email about JG via email and in the mail. I didn't open the envelope all of October and November 2020 and then December is when I opened it and I was so thankful for doing that. I guess God was managing and arranging things in my favor. I called in and it was a whirlwind of greatness that ensued. My first representative who started the process Christopher B. was truly an angel, he broke down everything step by step. Now, Lucy K. my current representative who is along with me in this journey is phenomenal! She has been through up and down with me and has been resilient, goes above and beyond and deserves several raises along with Chris B. JG, I pray you guys continue to do great work with everyone who comes to you all and please keep the team you have currently happy. They're so worth the recognition and the praise, please pour into them and provide them with nothing but raises! :)

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Tamika! Thank you for sharing how much our program has helped you - we are thrilled to be working with you on your journey to financial freedom!

Original review: May 6, 2022

The process is simple and their representatives are knowledgeable and easy to deal with. Now I will be able to rebuild my credit and obtain the goals I have set for myself. I would definitely recommend them, to anyone in my situation.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Warren! We're pleased to hear how you enjoy working with our representatives - thanks for sharing!

Original review: May 5, 2022

I saw an advertisement and called them because of their name. From the very beginning, they walked me through the process, Settled most of my debts so far, and are always available to answer my questions! I would recommend them to everyone!

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Elena! We are thrilled to hear about your positive experience with our services - thanks for sharing!

Original review: May 4, 2022

The initial process of getting started was fairly easy. I was coached along every step of the way. The process was very well explained and easy to digest. Any questions I had were quickly resolved. The first creditor was settled in a timely fashion but still waiting for last two creditors to be settled. This is taking quite a long time and the debt was less than the first creditor to be resolved.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi George! We are thrilled to hear about your positive experience working with us - thanks for sharing!

Original review: May 1, 2022

I have had a good input and communication from JGW. My only less than 100% experience is feeling pressure to accept a loan I'm not totally comfortable with. Other than that I feel this has been a good decision for me.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Pam! Feel free to reach out to your team to with any questions or concerns about the process. Thank you for sharing!

Original review: April 30, 2022

Excellent experience so far. No complaints. Happy with my experience and results. I am looking forward to having my debt eliminated. The representatives respond immediately with any questions. Happy customer. I would recommend the service to anyone who wants debt relief.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Karen! We are glad to hear about your positive experience with our services - thanks for sharing!

JG Wentworth Debt Relief Company Information