2. Finance
  3. Debt Settlement

4.5/5 (68 ratings)

About JG Wentworth Debt Relief

JG Wentworth has been helping individuals overcome financial hardships for more than 30 years with a variety of financial solutions. JG Wentworth Debt Relief’s services can help reduce or eliminate your unsecured debt in as little as 24 to 48 months. The company negotiates with creditors on your behalf and may be able to settle your debt for significantly less than what you owe.

Pros

• One monthly payment
  • Good credit not required
  • No upfront fees

Cons

• Not available in all states

Bottom Line

JG Wentworth Debt Relief can be helpful to those with $10,000 or more in debt. Although there are fees associated with their services, these fees are only charged as your debt is settled.

Top JG Wentworth Debt Relief Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Customer service was very prompt. Within a couple of months, I saw my debts getting settled. I get a text and I can accept the offer right there so it makes the process easier. .....

Verified

It was a great opportunity for JG to handle my situation. They kept me informed of all business. And was concerned about my well being. They kept me financially stable being to ca...

What does JG Wentworth Debt Relief do?

The JG Wentworth Debt Relief's program assists individuals with unsecured debts, primarily credit card debt, medical debt, personal loan debt and private student loan debt. To qualify for the company's program, you must:

• Reside in a eligible state
  • Have more than $10,000 in unsecured debt
  • Be able to afford the monthly program payment

A certified debt specialist will review your debt to determine if you qualify for the JG Wentworth debt relief program. If you choose to enroll in the program, JG Wentworth Debt Relief will begin working with creditors on your behalf to lower your debt.

How much does JG Wentworth Debt Relief cost?

JG Wentworth Debt Relief does not have any upfront fees. Fee percentages, typically between 18% to 25% of your enrolled debt amount, are only paid once the company settles each debt. The actual percentage depends on your specific situation and state regulations.

Fees are calculated into your monthly program payment and will never increase. You are free to cancel the program with no penalty at any time during the debt settlement process.

How long does JG Wentworth Debt Relief's program take?

Although the program length varies, JG Wentworth Debt Relief states that the average individual can pay off their debt within 24 to 48 months of starting the debt relief program.

We recommend asking a certified debt specialist how long the program took for people in similar situations to yours.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief FAQ

Where is JG Wentworth Debt Relief available?
JG Wentworth Debt Relief services are currently available in more than 25 states. Contact the company to see if your state is eligible for their services.
Will JG Wentworth Debt Relief affect my credit rating?
Enrolling in any debt settlement program will likely have a negative impact on your credit rating because you choose to stop paying your creditors. As your debts start to settle and you maintain good credit behavior, your credit rating will likely begin to improve.
What types of debt are eligible for JG Wentworth Debt Relief’s program?
JG Wentworth helps individuals with more than $10,000 in unsecured debt, which includes credit card debt, medical debt, personal loan debt and private student loan debt.

Is JG Wentworth Debt Relief really worth it?

JG Wentworth Debt Relief’s program is completely online, so the service might be ideal if you have at least $10,000 in high interest unsecured debt, are unable to get approved for a debt consolidation loan or are looking for an alternative to bankruptcy.

JG Wentworth is a member of the American Fair Credit Council and has been helping individuals overcome financial hardships for more than 30 years. The company provides a free savings estimate that can help you decide if its program is a good fit for you.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about JG Wentworth Debt Relief?

Original review: May 1, 2021

I looked at a couple of debt consolidation programs and a lot of them require money upfront. Wentworth's fees are a little high but they don't collect the fee until there's actually a settlement offer. Every settlement offer that I get shows me exactly what their fee is gonna be and it's 25% of the actual debt and not the settlement. That gave me a little concern but because of the amount of debt I had and the plan that Wentworth outlined, all of my debt would be paid off by August of 2022 which was something that I could do.

If I decide tomorrow that I wanted to terminate, I'd still have to pay Wentworth. But when you're in debt, you already feel like you're in a position where you don't have a lot of choices because you're struggling to pay the bills. The other thing was realizing that at that point, I was in no position to make more than the minimum payments. Some of my debts would take me 15 years to pay off if I'm just making the minimum and the interest would be accumulating. Wentworth's two-and-a-half-year timeline in comparison to 15 or 20 years was really not a bad thing and the timeline was reasonable.

I did the program in 2020. We're already in the fifth month of 2021 and I have about a year and three months left. I'm having to squeeze a little bit now. Even though I didn't lose my job with the COVID situation, things are much more expensive. I already live in a community that's very expensive. Right now, Wentworth is taking out over $800 which is a lot of money. But that has an end. I realized that if I could just save half of that every month, I would be in much better shape moving forward.

Wentworth's customer service is very good. In the beginning, they really worked with me to get everything set up. After we got everything in place, I had a review with somebody. I had a problem with the portal and their response time was excellent. They send me notifications through email. They text it to me too, which is helpful. They would send me the contract through email which I can download.

Recently, they sent me an offer. Settlement amounts are usually reduced amounts because you're already in collections and you're making an offer. The offer I got was not a reduced amount and I called Wentworth right away. When I pointed this out to them, right away they said that was not right and they got me the correct offer.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Eva, we're glad our program is going to get you out of debt so quickly! If you ever have any questions or concerns about your program, please don't hesitate to reach out - we're always here to help!

Get buying tips about Debt Settlement delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 23, 2021

I was initially going through a different company for a couple months and JG Wentworth's selling point was they offered a lot more benefits. They're straightforward with you and if you show them that you're responsible, you're eligible to have the remainder of the debt resolved with something like a personal loan. After six months into the program, I could qualify for them to go ahead and settle the rest of the debt. They pay it off, and then I just continue to pay them off. That's a huge benefit and and something I could take advantage of. It takes a load of stress off my shoulders and gives that peace of mind too.

I'm satisfied with where I'm at in the program so far. I get plenty of emails, and the website is user-friendly, straightforward, transparent. They're good at answering my questions or returning my calls. They've already settled two accounts. Things are going well and it's a good possibility I'd be completely settled by the end of this year with things changing for the better. My wife is working now and I plan on doubling or tripling down on payments soon. I feel confident about the program and my situation. My only regret is that I didn't go to JG Wentworth initially. I wish I knew about them a lot sooner. If I ran across a friend or if my son was in similar situation, that would definitely be my number one choice and recommendation.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Deshaun, congratulations on reaching your first two settlements! We're thrilled you're so pleased with our service and that our program is helping you so much. Thank you for your feedback - we look forward to continuing to help you on your journey to a more financially stable future!

Original review: March 12, 2021

I received a sort of a generic offer for a loan from JG Wentworth. I replied and they said it wouldn't be a personal loan, it would be a debt consolidation. They were going to take all my credit card debts. It wasn't originally what I thought but they said, "We can help reduce the amount of debt that you have if you're interested in hearing about that." We went over that and it sounded like I could assign any of my debts to them and they would get in touch with those companies and try to negotiate some sort of a low payoff. An outstanding loan with one company for about $10,000 was reduced to $1,600. It was kind of calculated on how much I owed ultimately and I'm paying for that with each paycheck I get. They take out a couple hundred dollars that goes into some sort of an escrow account. As that builds up, they can call and offer to another credit card. It's going to take some time for these others to get paid off but early on, I enjoyed some success.

I talked to one person on that initial call and they had a second guy follow up the next day. He went through a very lengthy phone call which was a lot more than I was prepared but he was very thorough. They've also got a little website that I can log into and see all the different accounts that they're handling for me and the status of those things. I had called and talked to two or three different people, and they all seem nice enough. One thing they did say they could do was they could get some of these harassing phone calls turned off. I probably get 15 calls every day from one particular account that I have. Their advice to me was don't engage in them because they'll indicate that that account is still active, and we want to pursue it and work it down through their means. They did say that they could get calls like that blocked but I don't think I've had any success with that.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Steven! We're glad to hear how our program is helping you - thanks for sharing! We're always here for you if you ever have any questions or concerns regarding your program. Please feel free to contact us at 800-715-9501.

Original review: March 8, 2021

My ex-husband was trying to take from me some property that I had (some gold jewelry that I acquired when I was married to him). Not only did I have lawyer fees to pay, but I had a surgery that had come up and I had to pay that off too. My credit card bill kept getting worse and worse. I realized I was making payments on my credit card, but my interest was 29%. It was so high that every month that I was trying to pay off wasn’t doing anything. We had also recently moved to another house, so I had a credit card open for furniture. I was getting behind on all my payments and I was looking for a personal loan to pay that off.

Initially, I was contacted by somebody from JG Wentworth and they were super helpful and explained everything to me. It wasn’t the best option for me, but at that time, it was the only option that I was being given. This was after I contacted a few other loan companies. I went ahead and the person on the other line was very knowledgeable. We were talking about it for an hour and a half and all he did was answer all my questions and concerns. I'm normally the type of person that if I don’t have all the answers, I won’t go for it and he helped me out, talked to me, and made sure that I knew what was going on. I trusted him.

I'm not disappointed, but I don’t like the fact that my credit score went so low. Also, when I call and I get the recording. I can’t speak to anybody and then, I have to wait for their callback. There was a moment where I played phone tag for two days before I finally got a chance to speak with a representative. Other than that, it was fine. Even the representatives reached out to me on my cell phone and they texted me, which was great. That works easier for me, sometimes. All in all, everybody at JG Wentworth has been cooperative. I've never had a problem talking to any of the associates. If I wanted to add more money to my account, they were more than helpful. We’ve already paid off two major credit cards quickly and and I have one more left. They’ve been very helpful throughout the whole process.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2021

If you're already in absolute disaster and nobody's doing anything for you, maybe J.G. Wentworth Debt Relief could help. I had done debt consolidation with another company but they tried to give me a 30% interest rate and it was ridiculous because it was higher than my credit card was. The average now for credit cards is 18 to 26 but still, I never had a 26%. J.G. Wentworth gave me a better deal, so I went with them and transferred my account over. I initially wanted to deal with them for debt consolidation but they said no. So, I had to go with a different company, but then all of a sudden, it was okay. It's only been a few months and so far, things are doing fine. I knew that my credit report was going to take a major hit, so it's in the crapper. But hopefully, it will repair itself. From what they told me, it should have started making some ticks upward by now, and it hasn't.

But overall, my experience with them has been good. I haven't heard from anybody in the last two or three months and I don't know if I was supposed to. But the money’s being withdrawn from my account and it looks like it's paying off the other account. The other account’s not happy, but tough luck. Other than that, it looks like the program is working. I was disappointed that we couldn't roll over some of the other debts that I was hoping to consolidate, but it is what it is. As far as anyone is legally allowed to, their service has met my needs. I went from an 800-point credit score, down to a 500. And it has been some tough times. All in all, if you have good credit, they're there for you. But if you have bad credit, they don't care. It's not JG Wentworth though, it's the entire system. It's rigged so that people who are in hard times fall into harder times. So then, they have to do a debt relief program and they're screwed with 30% interest rates.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Anna, thank you for sharing! We’re happy to hear you’re pleased with our service. Credit impact can be difficult to predict and is different for everyone. Our program is designed to get your debt under control, so once your other debts start to settle you will see your financial life improve. If you have any questions or concerns regarding your account, please feel free to reach out so we can discuss in more detail. Remember, we are here for you every step of this journey.

Original review: July 16, 2021

When I went to apply for a consolidation loan, I was offered the chance to work with the financial office and was helped tremendously! They offered so many options and guidance on how I can work on paying my debts off without loading more debt on me. I would definitely recommend their services to anyone!

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Karena! We're thrilled to hear how much the JG Wentworth team has helped you - thank you for sharing!

Original review: July 16, 2021

Did everything they said they would. Work with me on the smallest details that are important me. Am amazed at the progress. If you can commit to what is needed, they will do all of the rest. Have worked with at least 5 different people, all are equally helpful and accurate. It’s like lots of people all totally connected and all with the same mindset. Work with you in the beginning processes more frequently until they know you are comfortable. Then, always available anytime you have a question or need anything.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Melissa! Thank you for sharing how much you enjoy working with the JG Wentworth team - we're always here to help, so please don't hesitate to reach out if you ever have any questions!

Original review: July 15, 2021

I like JG Wentworth. Also New Credit America New Credit America is a great company. When I did get with JG Wentworth they transferred me to the New Credit America account and now They are taking it out of my account..

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Cheryl! We're thrilled you enjoyed working with us - and we're glad everything is going so well with your loan! Thank you for sharing!

Original review: July 15, 2021

They worked with us very well, and done what they said they would do. They were forward with how the process would go, and helped us find a loan company that would work with us as well. I would highly recommend them.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi David! We're thrilled you were so happy with you service - we wish you all the best with your financial future! Thank you for choosing JG Wentworth!

Original review: July 15, 2021

Very helpful and everyone I've spoken with has been friendly and willing to work with me on payments and updated information. They get back to you in a timely manner. Appreciated they take in answering questions. They treat you as a person and make you feel comfortable. I would definitely recommend them to anyone. Also the time frame in my situation won't take long to pay off my debt,.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Deb! We're glad you're enjoying working with the JG Wentworth team - please feel free to reach out if you have any additional questions!

Original review: July 14, 2021

JG Wentworth reached out in just enough time and they're always there and at the end of the phone call when I need them. I was in a territory I'm very unfamiliar with and they held my hand. It’s taking a year, but they stepped me out of the hole.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Calvin! It's wonderful to hear how much our program is helping you - thank you for sharing!

Original review: July 14, 2021

The representatives have been very polite, helpful and respectful to our needs and have settled quite a few of our debts fairly quick. They have been pretty easy to get in touch with or have gotten back to us quickly.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Michael! We're happy to hear you've enjoyed working with the JG Wentworth team - thank you for sharing!

Original review: July 9, 2021

The JG Wentworth team takes time to listen to the customer and their concerns. The team offers advice and were available at a moment's notice. I received some mail from a creditor, uploaded a scan of the documents then sent a text. I got a response within a hour or so. Excellent experience.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Stuart! We're thrilled you are so pleased with our service - thank you for sharing!

Original review: July 7, 2021

I was getting overwhelmed with how much debt I had. I knew it would be tough to pay on my own. I was giving so much money monthly and it was only the minimum on most so it was like never ending. I was super skeptical about going into a debt relief program not really knowing what to expect. From the first call we had I found it very informative and everything was explained and answered clearly. The client portal is super easy to log into and upload documents when needed. Also all my information is in one place and clear to see it all. Happy to finally be able to have some debt relief and we've already settled some and I can't wait to be done with debt! Thanks to J.G. Wentworth.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Melissa! It's wonderful to hear how much our program is helping you - we're thrilled to be working with you on your journey to a debt free future!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: July 3, 2021

I have been with this program for over a year now and you all still haven’t negotiated with one of my creditors. I pay faithfully twice a month and getting nowhere. Still no peace of mind and I’m very disappointed.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Felicia, thank you for your feedback. Please be on the lookout for further communication from us regarding this matter.

Original review: July 1, 2021

I am pleased with the work they have done. I have 5 of 7 accounts settled now and look for the last two to be done soon. They said it would take some time so I trusted them and waited to hear from them. They did not disappoint!

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Joni! We're thrilled your program is helping you so much - thank you for sharing!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: July 1, 2021

I'm waiting for a follow up on more debt relief. Initially, I was told that I would be able to do a consolidation through one of J.G. Wentworth's partners for my credit card debt, but I have heard nothing. I was told in 6 months all this would happen but no one has contacted me about anything. Plus, the one derogatory mark on my credit is still there and that was the one that was supposed to come off first.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Thank you for your feedback - please be on the lookout for further communications from us.

Original review: July 1, 2021

Overall the debt is shrinking but all the small ones is worked on quickly. The big ones I’m getting sued on. So it’s a toss up and sometimes you might get a quick answer from support or you’ll won’t hear from them for like 3 days later.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Mike, thank you for your message. Feedback like yours only helps to improve our service - please feel free to reach out with any and all questions or concerns regarding your program.

Original review: July 1, 2021

The program saves me about 100 bucks a month, so that puts $100 back in my pocket, which helps a little bit. Then, the creditors are being satisfied, so that's the most important thing, without damaging my credit too much. If I have a question, I can call customer support, and they usually answer it.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Robert! We're thrilled our program is helping you out - thanks for sharing!

Original review: June 30, 2021

Consolidating my debt and having my credit go down due to not paying has been super difficult. But, the team at JG Wentworth have been very helpful and help to ease my mind. They are always professional and courteous any time I have called with a concern or help.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Heather! We're glad you're pleased with our service so far - please don't hesitate to reach out whenever you have a question or concern regarding your program!

Original review: June 29, 2021

JG Wentworth has been on point. If you need their service, they're pretty good. It's a name that's known as opposed to some other debt relief that I don't particularly know.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Lillian! We're thrilled you're so pleased with our service - thank you for sharing!

Original review: June 24, 2021

Overall I’m pleased so far. But I didn’t realize that the fee that JG Wentworth gets for my debt settlement is at minimum 25% of the settled amount. I fear that I might end up owing more just based on the fees charged thus far. I probably would not recommend this program to anyone else. It forces you to stop payment for up to 6 months, and by the time the debt is settled, thousands more in fees have been added on. I think that needs to be planned more thoroughly in the future.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Chris, thank you for your feedback. We apologize for any confusion our fees have caused - our fee is taken into consideration when creating your program and is built into your monthly program. Please reach out to our Customer Service Team so they can explain how your savings and fees work in more detail.

Original review: June 18, 2021

My experience with JG Wentworth has been great. They really work on your behalf in getting the best settlements. The communication aspect has been great. They have been very nice and helpful during this process. I highly recommend them if you need assistance with your financial circumstances.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Valerie! We're thrilled you enjoy working with us so much - thanks for sharing!

Original review: June 18, 2021

Great company to work with, easy to understand, great to talk to. J.G. Wentworth is one of those companies you can trust with your finances. Thank you!!!! It is also easy to upload documents when they need them. And great communication.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Mark! It's wonderful to hear how well everything is going - thank you for sharing!

Original review: June 16, 2021

I am currently a customer with J.G. Wentworth. I am using their services for consolidation of some credit cards. I was not sure if I should consolidate, but after speaking with someone, I felt like it was the best thing for me to do at that time. They are friendly, courteous, and easy to talk to. After discussing my financial situation with them, I felt like this was the best option for me. They keep me informed what is going on with my account and I can always call with questions and concerns. So I am very pleased with the service and would recommend them.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Deborah! We're happy to hear how much you enjoy working with us on your journey to financial freedom - thanks for sharing!

Original review: June 16, 2021

JG Wentworth is good in some ways but terrible in others. Customer support's okay. However, they never tell you that you will stop paying your bills even when you were paying them before. Now, all of a sudden, you don't pay any of them and your credit goes in a complete tank for a year and a half. It completely tied my hands so I couldn't refinance 'cause my score was too low. Also, the biggest of the three accounts that I've been paying on was the one that they didn't touch. So after a year, Wells Fargo decided to sue me in court. It was up to me to negotiate with them after they sued me.

JG Wentworth tells me then that they couldn't settle that one because I don't have enough time and money in the program. Well, what do you think's going to happen after a year if it's a $15,000 account? They're going to come after me. That's what they did. It's just deception. If they don't tell you what to expect or what exactly is gonna happen, then you find out the hard way when you're already knee-deep in it and you can't do anything. I would highly recommend almost virtually no one doing it.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Richard - thank you for you feedback. Please look in your email inbox for additional communication from us

Original review: June 9, 2021

The contract on the length of time it takes to settle is a little long, but other than that, it's good. I had nine accounts, and we already paid off two big ones. The second one will be cleared on the 10th of this month, and then we're working on two more. I'm satisfied.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Rhonda! We're thrilled everything is going well - thank you for sharing and congratulations on your settlements!

Original review: June 3, 2021

It's been wonderful. My only regret was not including everything. They have been amazing on their end. I would recommend it. It's very helpful and lowers my stress. When I have questions they always help. My suggestion is to not be shy about what to include and just take care of it.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Laura! It's wonderful to hear how much our program is helping you on your journey to financial freedom - thank you for sharing!

Original review: May 26, 2021

These folks have the whole process nailed down. When I first took it on, I was worried about the consequences. Your credit score takes a dive, but for a good reason. You get it all sorted out. They're doing everything that they can to get you out of a situation and I don't think there's anything that could be done any better. From my point of view though, because I am hard of hearing and I hate talking on the phone, I would have preferred to be able to have somebody to meet in person. However, I didn't express that to them, so that's not their fault.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Kathryn! We're glad everything is going well so far - please let us know if you ever have any questions or concerns about the progress of your program!

Original review: May 15, 2021

The system's working a lot faster than I thought it would on the credit card deals and we didn't expect that. JG Wentworth has been very concerned on how things are affecting my family financially with the covid situation. It's not like a business deal, it's more like a friend or a family member helping kinda situation. I tell anybody that is asking that's the place to go 'cause they care and take the extra mile to get you.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Edward! We're glad you feel so comfortable working with the JG Wentworth team - thank you for sharing!

JG Wentworth Debt Relief Company Information