2. Mortgages

5.0/5 (31 ratings)

About First Internet Bank

First Internet Bank offers a variety of loan programs to fit borrower needs, including fixed, ARM, jumbo, FHA, VA and home equity products. All its services are online, so its loan applications are available 24/7. Most First Internet Bank accounts come with a free ATM card.

Pros

• Free debit cards
  • All services available online
  • High-yield interest on some accounts

Cons

• No physical locations
  • Maintenance fees for most accounts

Bottom Line

First Internet Bank is a full-service online bank. It offers personal and business banking services and mortgages including fixed, ARM, jumbo, FHA, VA and home equity loans. It’s available in all U.S. states and territories.

Top First Internet Bank Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

FIB provides very competitive rates. I have worked with Chris ** three times now. Once for my original home mortgage… Again early in 2020 to explore interest rates for refinancing...

Verified

Quickest and easiest refinance I have ever done. Derek ** was always available, always patient, and kept me informed throughout the process. I would not hesitate to use them again...

What is First Internet Bank?

First Internet Bank is a full-service bank that operates entirely online. It has no physical branch locations, though its personal banking customers get access to fee-free ATM transactions across the country. The company offers an array of personal banking services, business services and mortgage loans to help customers with just about any banking need. Its mortgage options include fixed, ARM, jumbo, FHA, VA and home equity loans.

First Internet Bank mortgages

First Internet Bank offers a wide variety of services for both personal and business customers. It has mortgage options for homebuying, building and refinancing. Its home loans include:

• Conventional fixed-rate loans
  • Adjustable-rate loans
  • FHA loans
  • VA loans
  • Jumbo loans
  • Home equity loans
  • Home equity line of credit (HELOC)

Its loan officers can help find the right borrowing option for you. First Internet’s website also offers mortgage preapprovals and a loan portal for managing your home loans.

First Internet Bank mortgage rates

Mortgage rates fluctuate daily, so it’s difficult to say what rates to expect with First Internet Bank. Inflation, economic growth, market conditions and other factors all determine mortgage rates at any given time. You can find mortgage rate calculators online to help you get an idea of what to expect. First Internet does offer free rate quotes, making it easier to compare rates from several companies before committing to a mortgage lender.

First Internet Bank FAQ

Where is First Internet Bank available?
First Internet Bank is licensed to do business in all 50 states and the U.S. territories. The company’s Indiana state charter lets it operate much like a national bank charter.
Does First Internet Bank offer traditional banking services?
Yes, First Internet Bank offers many traditional banking services, including checking and saving accounts, mortgages, credit cards and more.
What types of mortgages does First Internet Bank offer?
First Internet Bank offers several types of mortgages: conventional fixed-rate loans, adjustable-rate loans, FHA loans, VA loans, jumbo loans, home equity loans, and home equity line of credit (HELOC).
Does First Internet Bank have refinancing services?
Yes. First Internet Bank lets you apply for refinancing online to potentially lower your rates or shorten your loan term.

Is First Internet Bank legit?

First Internet is a legit online full-service bank. It lets you manage checking, savings, credit cards and more from its mobile app or website. Because it has no physical branches, be prepared to deal with any issues online or over the phone. It’s important to shop around to ensure you find the right benefits and services for you — that said, if a fully online borrowing experience appeals to you, First Internet Bank is a good choice overall.

First Internet Bank Reviews

1 featured review

Original review: July 8, 2021

We recently refinanced our mortgage and after calling 4 places, called Kathy ** at First Internet Bank and received the most competitive rate. Working through the process took a lot of time (as it would with any firm) but the computer system was helpful to take me through every step and highlighting any outstanding tasks. Any questions that I had were answered with a quick response to my inquiry by Kathy ** who is professional while being very friendly. The process from start to finish was great and I am saving almost $400 per month on my mortgage.

First Internet Bank response

Hi Diane! We’re glad our team was able to provide a 5-star experience for you, and we hope to be able to give you that same top-notch service in the future!

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 8, 2021

My Realtor was hesitant when I wanted to use First Internet Bank, since he never heard of it, but they were easier to work with than the local bank and mortgage broker, and beat the closing estimate date by 2 weeks. Plus they saved us thousands in closing costs and had the best interest rate by far. Our Senior Loan Officer, Max **, is very friendly and easy to work with. He is a great communicator, was always accessible and quick to respond, and was on top of everything. He made the process very simple, and worry free.

First Internet Bank response

A quick, easy loan process AND great customer service? Sounds like you had a great experience, Jason. Thanks for sharing!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2020

FIB provides very competitive rates. I have worked with Chris ** three times now. Once for my original home mortgage back in 2018. Again early in 2020 to explore interest rates for refinancing. And finally to refinance recently. Chris has been excellent! He is professional, knowledgeable, an excellent communicator, and handled my account seamlessly. I am very impressed! Thank you for your excellent support Chris! I highly recommend Chris ** and FIB to anyone in the market for a home loan or refinance!

First Internet Bank response

An easy process from start to finish AND great rates? It doesn’t get much better than that. Thank you for choosing First Internet Bank to refinance your home, William, and for the awesome review!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

I am very pleased and thrilled to work with Gary and First Internet bank to cater my loan needs. My mortgage loan was always treated as an important case and not like another application. I was kept positive and informed about my status and outcome. I was given all the information I requested and that also on timely manner to make my informative decision to move forward. I highly recommend First Internet Bank and my rep Gary who went above and beyond in every way. I will be bringing my business and all my friends and family to First Internet bank to work with Gary to get their all financial needs sorted out.

First Internet Bank response

That’s right, Sarabpreet. No matter where you are in the mortgage process, our team makes YOU the priority and that makes all the difference. Thanks for sharing your experience with us!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2020

I would like to personally thank my loan advisor. Steve ** was a breeze to work with especially with all the instruction given to myself and the private seller. Making loan applications and finalizing the sale the easiest I’ve ever experienced. I also want to thank Chris ** for helping with setting up my online account and bill pay. I so appreciate working with such caring individuals that went above and beyond. Many blessings First Internet Bank.

First Internet Bank response

Our team truly cares about your loan experience, that’s why we make sure to not only get you the best rates and customer service, but also a smooth process. Thank YOU, Neomia, for choosing First Internet Bank for your RV loan!

Original review: July 18, 2021

Great experience and support from preapproval up until closing. Recommend fully. Especially appreciate the online portal and descriptions that made everything easy to understand for us as first time buyers. Thank you!

First Internet Bank response

Congrats on your first home, Abhijit! We are happy to hear you had such a great experience working with our team, and we hope to see you again soon.

Original review: July 9, 2021

It was a pleasure working with Ashley. She was always prompt with her correspondence and guided me through the situation with her expertise. On the off chance she was out of the office, she always gave me a contact in order to keep the process going. We closed in 45 days and it could have been sooner! I would wholeheartedly recommend her.

First Internet Bank response

We’re glad our team was able to provide a smooth mortgage process AND fast, reliable customer service. Thanks for choosing us, Sean!

Original review: July 9, 2021

Closed on Mortgage Refinance with money back. Recommended by a family member with FIB for promptness, competitive rate and closing cost. Mr. J. ** was excellent to do business with. His instructions and communications were clear to the point. Corresponded in a timely fashion. I did encountered issues causing delays in closing due to communication issues with the closing department, but Mr. ** facilitated dialogues among the team and myself to move forward more fluidly. I would highly recommend doing mortgage related business with Mr. ** and FIB. Thank you.

First Internet Bank response

Hi MiMi! We know refinancing your home online can be a little intimidating, but like you now know, our team makes sure you’re comfortable by providing great support and an easy, clear process. We’re glad to have been able to make your experience a 5-star one and look forward to working with you again soon!

Original review: July 3, 2021

Gary was quick to answer any questions, communicated clearly, and advocated for me throughout the process. Thank you for the quick closing and painless process. Would recommend First Internet Bank in the future.

First Internet Bank response

We appreciate your recommendation, Bob! We are happy to hear you had such a good experience and we can't wait to work with you again in the future.

Original review: June 4, 2021

Chris ** at First Internet Bank made it easy to communicate, fill out paperwork, and most importantly made it easy to compare loans to determine that First Internet Bank had the best rates! I did some shopping around and decided this was the right lender to go with.

First Internet Bank response

Hassle-free process AND great customer service? Sounds like you had a great experience, Matthew. Thanks for sharing!

First Internet Bank Company Information