5.0/5 (51 ratings)

About First Internet Bank

First Internet Bank offers a variety of loan programs to fit borrower needs, including fixed, ARM, jumbo, FHA, VA and home equity products. All its services are online, so its loan applications are available 24/7. Most First Internet Bank accounts come with a free ATM card.

Pros

• Free debit cards
  • All services available online
  • High-yield interest on some accounts

Cons

• No physical locations
  • Maintenance fees for most accounts

Bottom Line

First Internet Bank is a full-service online bank. It offers personal and business banking services and mortgages including fixed, ARM, jumbo, FHA, VA and home equity loans. It’s available in all U.S. states and territories.

Top First Internet Bank Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

FIB provides very competitive rates. I have worked with Chris ** three times now. Once for my original home mortgage… Again early in 2020 to explore interest rates for refinancing...

Verified

Quickest and easiest refinance I have ever done. Derek ** was always available, always patient, and kept me informed throughout the process. I would not hesitate to use them again...

What is First Internet Bank?

First Internet Bank is a full-service bank that operates entirely online. It has no physical branch locations, though its personal banking customers get access to fee-free ATM transactions across the country. The company offers an array of personal banking services, business services and mortgage loans to help customers with just about any banking need. Its mortgage options include fixed, ARM, jumbo, FHA, VA and home equity loans.

First Internet Bank mortgages

First Internet Bank offers a wide variety of services for both personal and business customers. It has mortgage options for homebuying, building and refinancing. Its home loans include:

• Conventional fixed-rate loans
  • Adjustable-rate loans
  • FHA loans
  • VA loans
  • Jumbo loans
  • Home equity loans
  • Home equity line of credit (HELOC)

Its loan officers can help find the right borrowing option for you. First Internet’s website also offers mortgage preapprovals and a loan portal for managing your home loans.

First Internet Bank mortgage rates

Mortgage rates fluctuate daily, so it’s difficult to say what rates to expect with First Internet Bank. Inflation, economic growth, market conditions and other factors all determine mortgage rates at any given time. You can find mortgage rate calculators online to help you get an idea of what to expect. First Internet does offer free rate quotes, making it easier to compare rates from several companies before committing to a mortgage lender.

First Internet Bank FAQ

Where is First Internet Bank available?
First Internet Bank is licensed to do business in all 50 states and the U.S. territories. The company’s Indiana state charter lets it operate much like a national bank charter.
Does First Internet Bank offer traditional banking services?
Yes, First Internet Bank offers many traditional banking services, including checking and saving accounts, mortgages, credit cards and more.
What types of mortgages does First Internet Bank offer?
First Internet Bank offers several types of mortgages: conventional fixed-rate loans, adjustable-rate loans, FHA loans, VA loans, jumbo loans, home equity loans, and home equity line of credit (HELOC).
Does First Internet Bank have refinancing services?
Yes. First Internet Bank lets you apply for refinancing online to potentially lower your rates or shorten your loan term.

Is First Internet Bank legit?

First Internet is a legit online full-service bank. It lets you manage checking, savings, credit cards and more from its mobile app or website. Because it has no physical branches, be prepared to deal with any issues online or over the phone. It’s important to shop around to ensure you find the right benefits and services for you — that said, if a fully online borrowing experience appeals to you, First Internet Bank is a good choice overall.

1 featured review

Original review: June 16, 2022

My situation was somewhat unique in that I was looking to buy-out my siblings for a house we had all inherited. The attorney representing the estate and holding the asset was cantankerous and unhelpful, and my siblings were scattered across the country. Another mortgage company I had started with balked at the deal and abandoned me. Rick ** and his team were not intimidated, they met every challenge and managed to get the loan closed in time for me to leave for an important business trip to Australia. They have my full confidence and kept me well informed every step of the way.

First Internet Bank response

Hi David, we’re glad you had a great experience with us and hope to work with you again whenever you need us!

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 3, 2022

Best refi experience ever!! The loan officer we had "Brian **" was the best we were able to stay in communication with him for all our needs from start to finish. We didn't have to constantly talk to someone new or 20 different people. He was very quick to respond/reply to all our calls, emails and texts and answered every question and concern with knowledgeable, detailed informed answers. He and the underwriting team at First Internet Bank got us the best rate and deal that saved us a lot of money with very low fees. We are so thankful for Brian and everyone at First Internet Bank. I highly recommend them to everyone!!

First Internet Bank response

Top-notch communication is one of the many benefits of working with us on your mortgage loan. We’re glad to have been able to make your experience a 5-star one. Thanks Barbara!

Original review: May 29, 2022

First Internet Bank was my first bank I wrote off as great place to solve problems, in fact I even thought they won't be trusted to work with. As I met one great man amongst one of their best machine called CHRIS **, my dead situations got revived and start to breathe again. First Internet bank proved to me what they call customer comes first approach. Chris **, went out of his job calling gathered their teams from the best there to see me through to the end of closing with flying colors. I have never praise any bank in my life as the all comes with suspicion and doubt, but first intenet bank is a place I called home because I wrote them off. Just only Chris ** erased my doubt about banks. They for sure have lots of miracle staff. I am so happy all from my A-Z with them.

First Internet Bank response

Our team truly cares about your mortgage wants and needs, so you can rest assured that we’ll help you get the best rates, while providing top-notch customer service. Thanks for choosing us, Anthony!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2021

First Internet Bank (FIB) was great! My loan officer Gary ** was friendly, very knowledgeable and explained everything in detail. I first spoke to him on 10/27/2021 and closed on my refi loan on 12/13/2021 (47 days later!!). Gary & FIB were fast and efficient unlike my NewRez my mortgage holder at the time. I had been working with NewRez on a refi application and almost a year later they could not bring me to closing which is why I ended up applying with FIB. I highly recommend First Internet Bank!

First Internet Bank response

Hi Carmen, we’re glad our team was able to provide a smooth mortgage process AND fast, reliable customer service. Thanks for choosing us!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

First Internet Bank provided a very good rate and a smooth experience for our first mortgage. After seeing the rate on their website, I called and spoke with loan officer Grant **, who confirmed the rate and was quick in providing us a full loan estimate. Throughout our communication he was professional, courteous, and extremely prompt, usually replying within five minutes. As soon as we had decided on the loan, he ordered the appraisal, making sure we got it on time even in a busy market. He kept us informed about the progress of the loan, and we got the approval with time to spare and worry-free. We closed on time and the costs matched the estimate. I recommend First Internet Bank and Grant's team with full confidence.

First Internet Bank response

We’re glad our team was able to make your experience a 5-star one. Thanks for the review, Marius!

Original review: June 16, 2022

Katherine is really helpful and supportive. It has been a pleasure to work with her and her entire team including Katie. First Internet Bank is so lucky to have a person like Katherine **. I will certainly recommend your services to anyone I know who needs a mortgage. Thank you once again!

First Internet Bank response

Our team IS awesome, but not as great as customers like you! Thanks for the review, Sahil!

Original review: June 1, 2022

From the very first contact, information seemed to flow covering the majority of my questions. My emails and phone calls were addressed right away. Everything that I was told was very accurate and truthful. This was the fastest I have ever closed! I would not hesitate to use or recommend First Internet Bank!

First Internet Bank response

A smooth mortgage process with great rates, along with excellent customer service? You just can’t beat it! Thanks for the recommendation, David. We appreciate the review, and look forward to working with you again!

Original review: May 26, 2022

All of my interactions with my lending manager were clear, concise, accommodating, and informative. The loan product I received was beyond my expectations. I had a unique experience where I had to be out of the country during closing. All of the communications were handled with professionalism and flexibility along the journey. Thanks!

First Internet Bank response

Hi Ellen! We love it when we exceed your expectations in every way. Thanks for sharing!

Original review: May 20, 2022

Honestly it was 100% Jessica ** that made me ultimately pick this company. I had three companies I was deciding on and my experience with her and the way she handles things is hands down the best I could of asked for. I am very pleased with my experience. I couldn't thank her enough.

First Internet Bank response

You got it, Jessica. We love when we can provide a great customer service experience. Thanks for choosing First Internet Bank!

Original review: April 21, 2022

Partnered with FIB and Scott ** to purchase my first home. Was an extremely efficient process from initial request through closing. The FIB team was helpful in quickly answering questions (which I had quite a few). I strongly recommend FIB, and specifically Scott, for your next mortgage.

First Internet Bank response

Hi Ross, we’re glad our team was able to provide a 5-star experience for you, and we hope to be able to give you that same top-notch service in the future!

First Internet Bank Company Information