4.61/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

At First Internet Bank, we’re dedicated to serving as your trusted mortgage partner. It’s not just our exceptional customer service that sets us apart – our competitive rates are hard to beat!

We offer a variety of loan programs to help fit your needs: Fixed, ARM, Jumbo, FHA, VA and Home Equity. And for your convenience, you can apply online 24/7, no appointment needed.

Contact us today and let us make your home loan experience better, faster and easier.

NMLS #424182. Member FDIC. Equal Housing Lender.

BBB Rating
View More View More

236 First Internet Bank Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 9, 2019

Michael was an excellent help when purchasing my new home. I was a bit skeptical at first, because I had never heard of the company and it wasn't local. However, after reading several reviews I decided to contact the company and ended up working with Mr. **. He was very reassuring, helpful, and knowledgeable. He got me pre-approved right away so I would be ready when I found the house. This made the process go much smoother. He was quick to respond to phone calls and emails and his whole team worked very quickly, as well. In fact, we were even able to close on the house and move in two weeks early. I would recommend him to anyone looking to buy a home. My realtor and title company were also extremely impressed and couldn't believe the results. They also said they would be recommending him in the future. Thanks again for being such a great professional and for doing a fantastic job.

First Internet Bank response

Congratulations on your new home, Rowena! We’re so glad you did your research and chose First Internet Bank to help you make it happen. Our entire team is dedicated to answering your questions and guiding you through the process, so you’ll have an exceptional experience. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback, and for your recommendation. Welcome to the First Internet Bank family!

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 9, 2019

Our experience in working with First Internet Bank was amazing. Brian ** was our loan officer and he went above and beyond to ensure that we had a wonderful loan experience. Brian was readily available to answer phone calls and emails, both before, and after traditional business hours. During our loan process, we encountered some issues with our builder and Brian was always there to allow us to vent our frustrations and to re-assure us that the loan would close on time and as planned. I would highly recommend Brian and First Internet Bank to anyone looking for a fast and pleasant lending experience.

First Internet Bank response

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback, Gary! We absolutely love hearing from happy customers like you — almost as much as we love giving you the best experience possible (even outside of regular business hours). It was truly our privilege to serve you. Thanks again for choosing First Internet Bank and congratulations on your new home!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

My home mortgage experience with First Internet Bank was excellent. It's a bit tough to know how the whole process works before you go through it, so being a bit flexible with your expectations from your lender are advisable. For example, at first I was a bit put off by seeming inaccuracies in First IB's initial loan estimate. But, as I came to learn, many of those numbers are merely placeholders that will end up being the same across lenders.

For every question or worry I had about the loan estimate, my loan officer Chris ** was quick to reply via email with an honest and unvarnished answer. Given the time crunch and short learning curve one has during a closing period, this was very much appreciated. I was able to better compare mortgages across lenders as a result of Chris's willingness to give insights into the estimate document and overall lending process (he was very responsive via email, phone not quite as much). The closing process also went as smoothly as one could expect from an out of state lender. In the end, I feel that I found the best combination of loan rate, terms and service with First IB.

First Internet Bank response

Congratulations on your new home, Mike! Thanks so much for the detailed feedback, and for sharing your experience. We’re thrilled you were happy with your rate, terms and service. We look forward to helping you the next time you need us!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

I was purchasing a home and was unhappy with my current loan company. It was about 2 weeks till close and I called up first internet bank and spoke with Nikko **. Him and his team worked very quickly to get my loan transferred and they were there for me every step of the way. I was met with a lot of pushback from the seller and my realtor for changing loan companies so close to the close date, but Nikko was able to make everything happen on time and very smoothly. It was a very stressful time but First Internet Bank was there to assure me and take away the stress. Overall this was an amazing customer service experience and in the end they saved me tens of thousands of dollars. I can’t say enough good things about this company. Thank you.

First Internet Bank response

You're welcome, Aaron! We're glad we could help you save money, meet your tight deadline and most of all take away your stress with the mortgage process. Thank you for your kind words and welcome to the First Internet bank family!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

My first experience with First Internet was very good - I had completed an online intake form via Bankrate.com and Nikko ** contacted me within minutes of the application. He was very thorough and knowledgeable as we worked through the initial loan application details, and patiently kept me apprised of the status. He reassured me (and my realtor) that we'd be able to close within a tight timeline, which was essential.

Once the loan went to processing, it was a few days before I heard from Katie **. I had actually sent her an email wondering if there was any information I could start compiling to keep the loan application moving forward since I hadn't heard anything. Nikko went on vacation at this time, so while I often couldn't get an answer from Katie, Chris ** was super-helpful - in fact, he predominately answered all my questions and kept everything on track.

It was really stressful not getting responses from Katie, which is why I rated the entire experience at 4, rather than 5 stars, but I would recommend First Internet to a friend, as long as they weren't as in as tight a timeline as we were! I would like to especially recognize Nikko and Chris as going above and beyond in their help during this process.

First Internet Bank response

Diane, thank you for leaving a review. While we were happy to hear you had a great experience overall and that we were able to meet your tight timeline, we apologize for your frustration with the processing of your loan. Communication should have more frequent and more responsive, and for that we’re sorry. Your feedback has been shared with the management team, and we’ll use it as a training opportunity. Thanks for your business.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First Internet Bank?

Original review: June 19, 2019

FIB management made it clear that they did not want me as a customer. In January, I received "pre-approval." Nothing changed about my financial position between January and May. In fact, my annual income was ahead of projections through May. We scheduled a closing 30-days out. As we approached closing, I was told that management still needed to approve my loan, which was a surprise given the pre-approval and above purchase appraisal. Apparently, Mike ** - and some others inside the bank with whom I have worked on the commercial side - had to lobby management heavily to provide final approval.

Moreover, unexpected delays in that approval forced us to delay closing twice. It was an incredibly stressful experience for my entire family as we waited for "final" approval with moving trucks in the driveway. The good news for management is that they will not have to carry this loan for long. As soon as the dust settles on my credit profile, I will do everything I can to identify a replacement lender. Once I do, I will likely take my personal mortgage (and millions of dollars in future commercial loans from my clients) to a bank who values me as a customer.

Original review: June 8, 2019

I had worked with Mike last year to re-finance and obtain equity to reduce another debt. This year when I started getting flyers from my bank about lower interest rates, I contacted Mike and he offered a better option. The process went smoothly and everyone I encountered at FIB was helpful and friendly. Thank you.

Katherine,

We appreciate your feedback. Mike and the entire First Internet Bank team strive to find the mortgage loan that works best for each of our clients. We’re pleased to read the process went well, welcome to the First Internet Family.

Original review: June 6, 2019

I was recently referred to work with First Internet Bank to refinance my home through a friend. I am taking the time to write this feedback because of how pleased I was with the entire experience from start to finish. My contact Max ** was very professional and informative. Nothing was a surprise and I was always kept in the loop. They were extremely competitive in cost and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone looking for a company they can completely trust to help with any of their home lending needs. Thank you First Internet Bank for helping with my lending needs.

First Internet Bank response

Robert, thank YOU! For your business, your referrals, and for taking the time to share this thoughtful review. We strive to provide the best service possible, and good communication is a big part of that. We look forward to serving you again whenever you need us. Welcome to the First Internet Bank family!

Original review: June 5, 2019

I would highly recommend using First Internet Bank. Fastest loan processing, lowest rate, and the most friendly people I have ever dealt with through a home purchasing process. This is my fourth home purchase and I wish I would have known about first internet bank for the other three purchases. I will use them for any more home financing needs in my future.

First Internet Bank response

Karl, thanks so much for the kind words! We work hard to provide the best experience possible for our customers, and it makes our day to hear that you were pleased with our efforts. We welcome the opportunity to assist you with any future lending (or banking) needs. Welcome to the First Internet Bank family!

Original review: June 5, 2019

I was able and fortunate to work with the same team whom helped me purchase my same home just 7 months prior. Greg and all were able to help me seamlessly navigate my refinance and in instances of my slowness and inability to supply items timely, were patient with me and understanding. I will for sure be using first internet bank again. Thanks Greg.

First Internet Bank response

Our team was delighted to serve you again, William! We know our customers are busy, so we do our best to work around your schedule. We appreciate your business and look forward to working with you again. Thanks for being part of the First Internet Bank family!

Original review: June 4, 2019

I've taken out several mortgages and refinances within the last decade and this was by far the easiest. Other than the in-person appraisal, everything was done electronically up until closing. Documents were digitally uploaded or accounts were linked to their online system. When the appraisal came in higher than expected, they made a quick modification to increase the cash-out of the loan without penalty nor restarting the process. The entire loan process, to closure, was completed in less than a month. I couldn't be happier.

First Internet Bank response

Brynn, we’re thrilled that you are happy with your loan experience! It’s our goal to provide a smooth, hassle-free process. We love it when customers like you report that we’re delivering on it. We’d love to help you again with any future mortgage or banking needs. Welcome to the First Internet Bank family!

Original review: June 4, 2019

Great experience, all folks involved were super fast, smart and competent and efficiently responsive. They offered me options and ways to make this loan a reality. Thank you Jessica and Christie for your help and hard work and the post-loan assistance from Jessica.

First Internet Bank response

Thanks so much for your kind words, Ervin! Customer service is our top priority, so we’re thrilled that you were pleased with your experience. It was our pleasure to serve you. Welcome to the First Internet Bank family!

Original review: June 4, 2019

Usually obtaining a home loan is a dreaded process. Jessica ** and the others who assisted me made the process painless and efficient. There were the best! My daughter recommended First Internet Bank to me and I will recommend them to others!

First Internet Bank response

Patricia, thanks for sharing your experience; you made our digital day! We’re delighted that you and your daughter chose us, and we appreciate your referrals. Welcome to the First Internet Bank family!

Original review: June 4, 2019

First Internet Bank is our "go to" for all of our loan needs and easy banking options. We have used FIB for both business and personal. We recently used them for a residential mortgage. Our local bank could not match the same interest rate nor closing costs that FIB was able to offer. And, it was the easiest process we have ever experienced to complete the application and provide all of the documents they needed to process our loan. Everything was online. We have used FIB for over 15 years and will continue to use them in the future!

First Internet Bank response

Wow, Debra! Thank you for the fantastic feedback. We are thrilled to be your “go to” for your lending and banking needs! Beyond mortgages we have many products we’re proud of. Thanks for being a part of the First Internet Bank family!

Original review: June 4, 2019

First Internet Bank had the best interest rates of the several lenders I compared for both my initial mortgage in 2018 and my refinance in 2019. Max ** and the other employees I worked with provided great customer service and made the application and closing process very smooth. I highly recommend First Internet Bank.

First Internet Bank response

Michael, thanks so much for your recommendation and for taking time to share your experience! Since we don’t have costly bank branches to support, we are proud to pass those savings on to customers like you. We appreciate your business, and hope to serve you again for any future lending or banking needs.

Original review: June 4, 2019

Our mortgage refinance process was handled professionally and efficiently. Mike was very responsive and helpful and walked us through the entire process. It was very easy even for an older guy :-). I would recommend First Internet Bank to my friends and it is definitely one of the lenders that you want to compare when considering financing options.

First Internet Bank response

Thanks for the great feedback, Lance! We sincerely appreciate your business and your recommendation. We're glad Mike and the team was able to help make a challenging process easy and efficient for you. Welcome to the First Internet Bank family!

Original review: June 4, 2019

I’ve had a chance to purchase multiple properties with First Internet Bank of Indiana in the last 3 years, including my family’s primary residence and several rental homes in 2 different states. And during all of these transactions, FIBI provided patiently multiple loan proposals with great rates for the different prospective purchases while I was shopping, unsurpassed quality of customer service during the loan application process, kind attitude, speed, accuracy, an amazing level of communication that I’ve never had with any other lender before. All of the transactions closed on time. The realtors I worked with also commented that they were impressed with my lender. I would like to thank Scott ** and the entire team at FIBI, and I would love to do business with them again in the near future.

First Internet Bank response

Wow Miki, thanks for the fantastic feedback! We truly appreciate your loyalty to First Internet Bank, and the opportunity to continue serving you. We’re committed to providing the best lending experience possible with personalized attention every time. We look forward to assisting you with your lending needs!

Original review: May 14, 2019

My husband and I were first time home buyers this year. Greg ** and the First Internet Bank Team helped us navigate the home buying process. Greg was there for us every step of the way and answered every one of our questions with professionalism no matter how big or small. I will always recommend this team for anyone looking for a loan and this will always be #1 mortgage and loan contact. Thank you for all your help and support.

First Internet Bank response

Catherine, congratulations on your new home! Thank you so much for your kind words. At First Internet Bank, our goal is to always provide the best loan experience for our customers. We appreciate your business, and your referrals!

Original review: May 10, 2019

I recently refinanced my loan with First Internet Bank after initially purchasing my home with them. I am very pleased to say my servicing representative was Chris ** both times and I received excellent service both times. Mr. ** should receive public recognition for his outstanding professional service to my family and me.

First Internet Bank response

Jeffery, thank you for the kind words about Chris! It’s our goal to provide an exceptional home loan process every time —so thank you for confirming we delivered that on both your purchase and refinance loans. We appreciate your business, and hope to serve you again for any upcoming mortgage or banking needs.

Original review: May 9, 2019

I just closed my second loan (original purchase and then a refinance) with Greg and it has been an amazing experience. He came highly recommend by my realtor. He has always been super quick at responding and is casual yet informative. He has made both processes a breeze and we will certainly be recommending him to any friends and family.

First Internet Bank response

Amber, thank you for sharing your feedback about Greg. We’re delighted to hear that your last experience was so positive that you chose us yet again! Even better, we love to hear that we continue to deliver on our mission to provide great service. Thank you for your business and your referrals.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I liked the very easy-to-use online application process. With the guidance of Scott **, things went very smoothly. I was also impressed how thorough the process was, despite being online only. As with my previous use of First Internet Bank, I was also impressed with the best rates offered.

First Internet Bank response

Stefan, thank you for your feedback and for your business! It’s a privilege to serve you not once, but twice (so far). Our goal is to make the mortgage process as easy as possible for our customers and we work hard to always deliver personalized service. We’ll be here to help you whenever you need us!

Original review: May 6, 2019

We contacted another bank first and then decided to talk with First Internet Bank. We discussed various loan types and decided on going VA. The process was about as painless as could be. Documents were requested and could be supplied by uploading either a photo or a document directly to their website. The program provided for reviewing documents for signatures, was easy to use and took you to the exact place needing your initials or signature. Overall a good experience.

First Internet Bank response

Carl, thanks so much for trusting First Internet Bank with such an important decision, and for taking the time to share your positive feedback! It’s our goal to provide a smooth, hassle-free mortgage loan experience. We love it when customers like you report that we’re delivering on it. It was a pleasure to serve you, and we hope to have an opportunity to exceed your expectations with any future mortgage or banking needs.

Original review: May 6, 2019

I have recommended Mike ** with First Internet Bank to well over 50 clients, friends and family. I have yet to come across another Loan Officer or bank who provides better rates, lower fees and superior customer service. They have always met and surpassed my expectations.

First Internet Bank response

Wow—thank you for your kind words and for all of the referrals! Nothing compliments us more than earning your trust. We look forward to continuing to provide excellent service to you and your family and friends.

Original review: May 6, 2019

We worked very closely with Greg ** in refinancing our mortgage. He was able to get us a much lower interest rate with little to no out-of-pocket expenses. He also was able to easily walk us through what could have been a very confusing process. He took the time to listen to our particular goals and find the right solution for us.

First Internet Bank response

Stephen, thank you for sharing your experience. Our loan officers, like Greg, work hard to find the best loan for each customer’s situation. We’re so glad you were happy with our rate and loan process, and hope to serve you again when you need us. Thanks for choosing First Internet Bank, and welcome to the family!

Original review: May 6, 2019

At first, I was a little skeptical of using an online mortgage-based bank. However, my experience from beginning to end was amazing. My Loan Officer, Greg **, was extremely helpful and always responsive. He was able to walk me through all my loan options and decide which was best for me.

First Internet Bank response

Tiffanie, we’re so glad you gave us a chance! We work hard to provide the best possible mortgage experience for our customers, so thank you for sharing your positive feedback and making our day. We hope to serve you again for any upcoming mortgage or banking needs. Welcome to the First Internet Bank family!

Original review: May 2, 2019

Destiny went above and beyond to assist me with purchasing my first home and was very flexible with my busy schedule. She made a potentially very stressful experience much less daunting for me as a first time buyer and made sure it went as smoothly as possible. I would recommend Destiny and First Internet Bank to anyone looking for a wonderful and accommodating experience!

First Internet Bank response

Caitlin, thank you for taking the time to share your kind words. We're glad we could provide a smooth mortgage experience for you. It's our goal to be your partner throughout the loan process, so we're always happy to help. Thank you for your business, and welcome to the First Internet Bank family!

Original review: May 2, 2019

Joey ** was extremely helpful. Was quick to respond to inquiries on the loan process!! The automated inquiries that First Internet has is a bit annoying. Even after I supplied all necessary docs. I would get a reminder stating I needed to supply something I already supplied. Joey had no control of that.

First Internet Bank response

Bryan, thank you for sharing this helpful feedback. We’re thrilled you had a great experience working with us aside from the extra reminders. We’re working to address it, so that the process is even better next time you may need us. Thanks again!

Original review: April 30, 2019

The whole remortgage process was excellent with all the our mortgage team. My daughter and son - in law remortgage their home and was very happy with the experience. I was in the car business for 35 years and know the importance to take care or your client. You take care of your client and they will take care of you with their family and friends. Mark **.

First Internet Bank response

Mark, thanks for taking the time to share your positive experience! You’re exactly right, we value every customer as a person and not a transaction. Our team makes every effort to ensure a great mortgage experience. We look forward to serving you, your family and your friends whenever you need us. Welcome to the First Internet Bank family!

Original review: April 30, 2019

It would be very difficult to find a more knowledgeable and valuable employee as Destiny. She was a sheer pleasure to work with. I would recommend her to anybody doing business with First Internet. She is also very well informed on all issues concerning a refinance. She understood my issues and adapted so well in helping me get a better deal on my mortgage.

First Internet Bank response

Robert, thanks so much for your kind words about Destiny! Our entire team is committed to giving you the best mortgage experience possible—from finding the best loan for your situation, to making the process as easy as possible. We appreciate the opportunity to work with you. Welcome to the First Internet Bank family!

Original review: April 22, 2019

First gave them my title company estimate on closing. Sent information a month before closing. Mike said their title company would match. Never happened which I was told they would be sending me the difference. Mat ** told me he would contact the title company because they were supposed to send me the check. Most of this was talked about on the phone. I do have all the emails sending information on the cost of my title company and Mat information. I guess I should have recorded it. Now Mat sends me something to review this refinancing.

First Internet Bank response

Dean, we appreciated the opportunity to connect yesterday and apologize for the frustration the delay has caused. We have spoken with our partner and they are expediting delivery of your refund to correct the situation. We will forward the shipping confirmation once we receive it. Thank you for your patience; please let us know when you receive the check.

First Internet Bank expert review by Michele Lerner

This online bank that provies a full line of banking services, including mortgages. The bank does not have any physical branch locations, but it operates in all 50 states.

• Online application: Interested consumers complete their entire application online. They can get prequalified online, too.

• Rate Watch: Those looking for a competitive interest rate can set up Rate Watch. They will receive an email notification when rates reach their specified point, or they can sign up to regularly receive rate updates.

• Mortgage types: Consumers can chose from several types of mortgages to meet consumers’ needs. Options include fixed and adjustable rate mortgages, FHA and VA loans, USDA Rural Development loans, HARP loans and jumbo mortgages.

• Contact: Applicants can reach the bank’s mortgage loan officers by phone during extended business hours on weekdays and from 9:00am to 4:00pm on Saturdays or by email at any time.

• Blog: All consumers can visitthe company blog to read helpful financial and banking articles, including posts about home buying and mortgages.

• Best for: those comfortable doing all their banking online.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

First Internet Bank Company Information