Call toll free
4.70/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

At First Internet Bank, we’re dedicated to serving as your trusted mortgage partner. It’s not just our exceptional customer service that sets us apart – our competitive rates are hard to beat!

We offer a variety of loan programs to help fit your needs: Fixed, ARM, Jumbo, FHA, VA and Home Equity. And for your convenience, you can apply online 24/7, no appointment needed.

Contact us today and let us make your home loan experience better, faster and easier.

NMLS #424182. Member FDIC. Equal Housing Lender.

BBB Rating
View More View More

First Internet Bank Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

Working with First Internet Bank was a great experience for me. I had looked long and hard at different companies and options for moving my Construction loan of my new home over to a permanent mortgage and came across FIB online. When I called and talked to Max ** I knew I had found the right company. Max quickly understood my needs and carefully took the time to explain all the details of how this process works and answered all of my questions without rushing to get me off of the phone. Max was great throughout the entire process and actually everyone involved was always very responsive to my emails or phone calls. Trust me when I says not all companies I spoke with had representatives that knew what I needed or took time to answer my questions unless I was willing to start the loan process. I’m thankful I found FIB, oh and their rates were the best I could find so I’m a happy camper all around. Thanks FIB!

First Internet Bank response

Congratulations on your new home! We’re glad you found our customer service – and our rates – to be first-class, and the process easy. Thank you for the excellent review, Tim.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

Joey ** worked very hard to provide the most competitive price and earn my business. He was prompt in returning all of my e-mails and phone calls. Overall, I am very satisfied with his service and my mortgage. It was clearly important to him that the complicated process of applying for a mortgage be as easy as possible for me. Additionally, he even made himself available to me on weekends when time was constricted by my closing contract.

However, there is one thing I wish he had done differently. That is that there were some questions that I asked where he just wasn't hearing me. He answered the question that he thought I was asking, but not my actual question. Although he was never rude, these times were frustrating for both of us. In the end, I had to let my question go unanswered knowing that it was not an inhibiting issue and only a matter of wanting more knowledge. Finally, and most importantly, I will say that Joey and his team, despite the few aforementioned communication failures, were able to provide me with the best mortgage and in time for closing. I would recommend him with a single caveat.

First Internet Bank response

Justeen, we appreciate the kind words and we're glad you're satisfied overall. We want you to know that we do take your concerns seriously. If you still have loan-related questions, please call 1-866-742-5158 and ask for the VP - Internet Mortgage Origination and we will do our best to clarify any confusion.

Original review: June 19, 2019

I worked with Chris ** to complete a cash out refinancing with FIB and was extremely pleased with the overall experience. Chris helped to streamline and simplify the typically cumbersome process and this is the second time FIB has refinanced my mortgage loan so I am a returning customer. Chris made things simple and kept the process rolling along smoothly. Three things stand out with the FIB experience. First, FIB finds competitive loan rates for its customers. Second, it operates transparently and does not attempt to exploit applicants with onerous points and hidden fees. Third, once a loan is approved by the underwriters, FIB is impressively fast from start to finish so the loan process does not drag on and languish in limbo.

The closing gets planned and the process gets completed in a very timely manner without issues. Taken as a whole, these are positive attributes many lenders can't deliver, which is why I returned to give FIB my business a second time on a mortgage refinancing. Shopping hundreds of banks to look for competitive deals is labor-intensive and painful and there are sometimes hidden fees and points that turn into unpleasant surprises after dozens of documents have been provided and the process is too far along to easily stop. I have already referred a colleague from work to Chris for a refinancing, which seems to be one of the bank's competitive strengths. I have had a positive customer experience overall and will likely return to FIB for a future mortgage refinancing if it makes good financial sense to do so.

First Internet Bank response

Wow, thanks so much for your kind words, Thomas! We’re thrilled that you came back to us for your refinance, and even happier that we were able to provide a great experience for you each time. We appreciate your business and your referral, and look forward to serving you again whenever you need us!

Original review: April 9, 2019

Michael was an excellent help when purchasing my new home. I was a bit skeptical at first, because I had never heard of the company and it wasn't local. However, after reading several reviews I decided to contact the company and ended up working with Mr. **. He was very reassuring, helpful, and knowledgeable. He got me pre-approved right away so I would be ready when I found the house. This made the process go much smoother. He was quick to respond to phone calls and emails and his whole team worked very quickly, as well. In fact, we were even able to close on the house and move in two weeks early. I would recommend him to anyone looking to buy a home. My realtor and title company were also extremely impressed and couldn't believe the results. They also said they would be recommending him in the future. Thanks again for being such a great professional and for doing a fantastic job.

First Internet Bank response

Congratulations on your new home, Rowena! We’re so glad you did your research and chose First Internet Bank to help you make it happen. Our entire team is dedicated to answering your questions and guiding you through the process, so you’ll have an exceptional experience. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback, and for your recommendation. Welcome to the First Internet Bank family!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

My home mortgage experience with First Internet Bank was excellent. It's a bit tough to know how the whole process works before you go through it, so being a bit flexible with your expectations from your lender are advisable. For example, at first I was a bit put off by seeming inaccuracies in First IB's initial loan estimate. But, as I came to learn, many of those numbers are merely placeholders that will end up being the same across lenders.

For every question or worry I had about the loan estimate, my loan officer Chris ** was quick to reply via email with an honest and unvarnished answer. Given the time crunch and short learning curve one has during a closing period, this was very much appreciated. I was able to better compare mortgages across lenders as a result of Chris's willingness to give insights into the estimate document and overall lending process (he was very responsive via email, phone not quite as much). The closing process also went as smoothly as one could expect from an out of state lender. In the end, I feel that I found the best combination of loan rate, terms and service with First IB.

First Internet Bank response

Congratulations on your new home, Mike! Thanks so much for the detailed feedback, and for sharing your experience. We’re thrilled you were happy with your rate, terms and service. We look forward to helping you the next time you need us!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First Internet Bank?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

I had a great experience with First Internet Bank, Jacob was amazing and always got back to me in a timely manner with questions. He made the process easy to get through and offered support whenever needed. Would recommend him for anyone looking for great customer service and someone who is real with this customers. Goes above and beyond!

First Internet Bank response

Thank you for the kind words, Laura! We always strive to make the loan process as easy as possible and we're thrilled to hear your feedback. We hope you'll consider us for your next mortgage or banking need.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

The loan process went very smoothly and I was kept informed of the status of my load throughout. I liked the system they have to gather loan documents, get it through underwriting, and get it to closing. I would recommend them again for any refinance and think they have some of the best rates out there.

First Internet Bank response

Thanks for sharing your experience, Kevin! We know that interest rates are important, but customer service is what keeps customers like you coming back. We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you again!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

After a lot of paperwork and multiple documents sent back and forth, I finally opened up a Business Savings Account a year ago with First Internet Bank and funded the account consistently every month with normal deposit amounts ($10k per month). Last week I received an email from Michele ** - Deposit Operations Specialist from FIB, who stated they were closing my account because of "Know Your Customer" standards.

"All Financial institutions are required by federal and state regulations to follow Know Your Customer standards, monitor and understand ongoing customer activity. Therefore periodic reviews are conducted on all accounts. In a recent review of the account activity, we have made the decision to exit the banking relationship."

I asked her to give me a call to discuss or email me with an actual specific reason but she emailed back and started again the decision had been made and there was nothing to discuss and just copy/pasted the previous blanket corporate statement. I looked up Know You Standards and it's to prevent money laundering and criminal activities!!

I immediately emailed Michele back to try and discuss and to explain to her I have been with the same employer (high profile company) for over 10 years and she could check my employment record but she just ignored my communications. Absolutely terrible customer service and a big warning for anybody else considering going to all the trouble of opening a business savings account with this shady bank. Don't waste your time. Jon

First Internet Bank response

Convenient account access and money movement are two of our core principles. However, for the protection of our customers, it is our practice not to discuss account specifics in public forums.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

Working with First Internet Bank was a great experience. Mike ** was a pleasure to work with and kept things moving to ensure we closed on our new home as originally planned. I will be recommending their services to friends and family. Scott

First Internet Bank response

Maurice, we're glad you had a great experience! Making sure you close on time is one of our top priorities. Thanks for sharing your feedback, and congratulations on your new home!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

Scott ** and his team were great. Scott began by helping me choose the best mortgage for my needs. After that we fill ed out all the paperwork electronically which made it very easy. Within 6 weeks a notary was sent to our home and we sat with her for an hour to sign the final papers. That was it! It really could not have been any easier. It was a great experience and I would not hesitate to work with them again.

First Internet Bank response

Michelle, thanks for sharing your experience! We strive to make the mortgage loan process as easy as possible for great customers like you. We're thrilled that you were pleased with our service and look forward to serving you again!

First Internet Bank expert review by Michele Lerner

This online bank that provies a full line of banking services, including mortgages. The bank does not have any physical branch locations, but it operates in all 50 states.

• Online application: Interested consumers complete their entire application online. They can get prequalified online, too.

• Rate Watch: Those looking for a competitive interest rate can set up Rate Watch. They will receive an email notification when rates reach their specified point, or they can sign up to regularly receive rate updates.

• Mortgage types: Consumers can chose from several types of mortgages to meet consumers’ needs. Options include fixed and adjustable rate mortgages, FHA and VA loans, USDA Rural Development loans, HARP loans and jumbo mortgages.

• Contact: Applicants can reach the bank’s mortgage loan officers by phone during extended business hours on weekdays and from 9:00am to 4:00pm on Saturdays or by email at any time.

• Blog: All consumers can visitthe company blog to read helpful financial and banking articles, including posts about home buying and mortgages.

• Best for: those comfortable doing all their banking online.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

First Internet Bank Company Information