5.0/5 (44 ratings)

About First Internet Bank

First Internet Bank offers a variety of loan programs to fit borrower needs, including fixed, ARM, jumbo, FHA, VA and home equity products. All its services are online, so its loan applications are available 24/7. Most First Internet Bank accounts come with a free ATM card.

Pros

• Free debit cards
  • All services available online
  • High-yield interest on some accounts

Cons

• No physical locations
  • Maintenance fees for most accounts

Bottom Line

First Internet Bank is a full-service online bank. It offers personal and business banking services and mortgages including fixed, ARM, jumbo, FHA, VA and home equity loans. It’s available in all U.S. states and territories.

Top First Internet Bank Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

FIB provides very competitive rates. I have worked with Chris ** three times now. Once for my original home mortgage… Again early in 2020 to explore interest rates for refinancing...

Verified

Quickest and easiest refinance I have ever done. Derek ** was always available, always patient, and kept me informed throughout the process. I would not hesitate to use them again...

What is First Internet Bank?

First Internet Bank is a full-service bank that operates entirely online. It has no physical branch locations, though its personal banking customers get access to fee-free ATM transactions across the country. The company offers an array of personal banking services, business services and mortgage loans to help customers with just about any banking need. Its mortgage options include fixed, ARM, jumbo, FHA, VA and home equity loans.

First Internet Bank mortgages

First Internet Bank offers a wide variety of services for both personal and business customers. It has mortgage options for homebuying, building and refinancing. Its home loans include:

• Conventional fixed-rate loans
  • Adjustable-rate loans
  • FHA loans
  • VA loans
  • Jumbo loans
  • Home equity loans
  • Home equity line of credit (HELOC)

Its loan officers can help find the right borrowing option for you. First Internet’s website also offers mortgage preapprovals and a loan portal for managing your home loans.

First Internet Bank mortgage rates

Mortgage rates fluctuate daily, so it’s difficult to say what rates to expect with First Internet Bank. Inflation, economic growth, market conditions and other factors all determine mortgage rates at any given time. You can find mortgage rate calculators online to help you get an idea of what to expect. First Internet does offer free rate quotes, making it easier to compare rates from several companies before committing to a mortgage lender.

First Internet Bank FAQ

Where is First Internet Bank available?
First Internet Bank is licensed to do business in all 50 states and the U.S. territories. The company’s Indiana state charter lets it operate much like a national bank charter.
Does First Internet Bank offer traditional banking services?
Yes, First Internet Bank offers many traditional banking services, including checking and saving accounts, mortgages, credit cards and more.
What types of mortgages does First Internet Bank offer?
First Internet Bank offers several types of mortgages: conventional fixed-rate loans, adjustable-rate loans, FHA loans, VA loans, jumbo loans, home equity loans, and home equity line of credit (HELOC).
Does First Internet Bank have refinancing services?
Yes. First Internet Bank lets you apply for refinancing online to potentially lower your rates or shorten your loan term.

Is First Internet Bank legit?

First Internet is a legit online full-service bank. It lets you manage checking, savings, credit cards and more from its mobile app or website. Because it has no physical branches, be prepared to deal with any issues online or over the phone. It’s important to shop around to ensure you find the right benefits and services for you — that said, if a fully online borrowing experience appeals to you, First Internet Bank is a good choice overall.

First Internet Bank Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about First Internet Bank?

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

Thank you so much Ashley ** at First Internet Bank! We really appreciate all your assistance and effort! I can't thank Ashley enough for all she did for us! Ashley and her team were amazing! She was very professional, available whenever we needed her. She guided us until the very end. I highly recommend Ashley to anyone who’s looking to buy or refi a house!!! First Internet Bank is by far the best out there!!!

First Internet Bank response

That’s right, Van. No matter where you are in the refinance process, our team makes YOU the priority and that makes all the difference. Thanks for sharing your experience with us!

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2022

Nikko at First Internet Bank was great and responsive throughout the whole process. There’s not anything I was guessing about through the whole process and communication was always quick. Would no doubt use him again, and had no problems with FIB. Everyone from Nikko to loan processor to closing specialist were very easy to work with and very kind. No regrets with going with them.

First Internet Bank response

You got it, Kyle. No surprises is always the best surprise! We’re glad our team was able to help make your mortgage experience a 5-star one and look forward to working with you again in the future.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2021

First Internet Bank (FIB) was great! My loan officer Gary ** was friendly, very knowledgeable and explained everything in detail. I first spoke to him on 10/27/2021 and closed on my refi loan on 12/13/2021 (47 days later!!). Gary & FIB were fast and efficient unlike my NewRez my mortgage holder at the time. I had been working with NewRez on a refi application and almost a year later they could not bring me to closing which is why I ended up applying with FIB. I highly recommend First Internet Bank!

First Internet Bank response

Hi Carmen, we’re glad our team was able to provide a smooth mortgage process AND fast, reliable customer service. Thanks for choosing us!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

First Internet Bank provided a very good rate and a smooth experience for our first mortgage. After seeing the rate on their website, I called and spoke with loan officer Grant **, who confirmed the rate and was quick in providing us a full loan estimate. Throughout our communication he was professional, courteous, and extremely prompt, usually replying within five minutes. As soon as we had decided on the loan, he ordered the appraisal, making sure we got it on time even in a busy market. He kept us informed about the progress of the loan, and we got the approval with time to spare and worry-free. We closed on time and the costs matched the estimate. I recommend First Internet Bank and Grant's team with full confidence.

First Internet Bank response

We’re glad our team was able to make your experience a 5-star one. Thanks for the review, Marius!

Original review: July 8, 2021

We recently refinanced our mortgage and after calling 4 places, called Kathy ** at First Internet Bank and received the most competitive rate. Working through the process took a lot of time (as it would with any firm) but the computer system was helpful to take me through every step and highlighting any outstanding tasks. Any questions that I had were answered with a quick response to my inquiry by Kathy ** who is professional while being very friendly. The process from start to finish was great and I am saving almost $400 per month on my mortgage.

First Internet Bank response

Hi Diane! We’re glad our team was able to provide a 5-star experience for you, and we hope to be able to give you that same top-notch service in the future!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

First Internet, the loan officer was clear and transparent about the loan process, was responsive with my questions. At every step from document uploads I needed to provide they were there to guide me and what was required. Rene

First Internet Bank response

We know how stressful the loan process can be, that’s why our team works hard to provide as much – or as little – support as you need. We hope to get the chance to work with you again in the future, Rene!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2022

I have worked with Derek and his team 3 times - original home purchase, refi and HELOC. Always professional, timely, courteous, accurate and just way above board!! You can tell Derek and his team really care about customer service and they strive to and actually make it a reality. I always feel valued as a customer and well cared for.

First Internet Bank response

Gary We appreciate the review. Sounds like you had a great experience with us - thanks for choosing First Internet Bank a third time!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

We were on a tighter timeline to close our new home purchase sooner than the standard timeframe. We select First Internet Bank because they offered the best interest to us. But our loan process was even more pleasant. The loan officer and the loan processor were very quick with their work and explained things properly to us and answered our questions promptly. They made it happen well within our timelines despite holidays being in-between. Very pleased with the quality of service we received from First Internet Bank.

First Internet Bank response

We love when our team and loan process not only meet but exceed your expectations. We appreciate you, Ashish, and your business!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2021

First Internet Bank gave us the best rates out of 8 different companies me and my wife talked with. At first we thought it was too good to be true but in the end we were able to get a 2.375% Interest rate on a 30 year term. No other company would come even close. I was extremely impressed with how efficient the process was with no hidden fees!

First Internet Bank response

Simple process? Great rates? Sounds like you had a great refinancing experience, Tariq. Thanks for sharing!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2021

First Internet handled everything. They didn't pass me around to other companies with different expectations and patterns of communication. Their site was very easy to use. They fulfilled all of the promises and were very pleasant to work with.

First Internet Bank response

We know how stressful the loan process can be, that’s why our team works hard to provide as much – or as little – support as you need. We hope to get the chance to work with you again in the future, Rodney!

First Internet Bank Company Information