4.81/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

First Internet Bank

At First Internet Bank, we’re dedicated to serving as your trusted mortgage partner. It’s not just our exceptional customer service that sets us apart – our competitive rates are hard to beat!

We offer a variety of loan programs to help fit your needs: Fixed, ARM, Jumbo, FHA, VA, HARP and Home Equity. And for your convenience, you can apply online 24/7, no appointment needed.

Contact us today and let us make your home loan experience better, faster and easier.

NMLS #424182. Member FDIC. Equal Housing Lender.

2016 Best Banks
    2016 The Best of Tech in Indiana
    2016 Best Banking Apps
    View More View More

194 First Internet Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Just completed a home purchase with loan from FirstIB. As is usually the case, my experience with FirstIB was top notch. I've been banking with FirstIB for around 22 years now and have never had a bad interaction. The loan process met my high expectations. My calls were always answered promptly, often by bank agents that I had dealt with several times over the years. Despite being a national bank FirstIB always feels like a small bank. - Happy customer since 18 year old.

First Internet Bank response

Mark, thank you SO much for your customer loyalty. It's been our honor to serve you. Congrats on your home purchase! We look forward to serving you for years to come.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

I was purchasing a home and was unhappy with my current loan company. It was about 2 weeks till close and I called up first internet bank and spoke with Nikko **. Him and his team worked very quickly to get my loan transferred and they were there for me every step of the way. I was met with a lot of pushback from the seller and my realtor for changing loan companies so close to the close date, but Nikko was able to make everything happen on time and very smoothly. It was a very stressful time but First Internet Bank was there to assure me and take away the stress. Overall this was an amazing customer service experience and in the end they saved me tens of thousands of dollars. I can’t say enough good things about this company. Thank you.

First Internet Bank response

You're welcome, Aaron! We're glad we could help you save money, meet your tight deadline and most of all take away your stress with the mortgage process. Thank you for your kind words and welcome to the First Internet bank family!

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

Thoroughly appreciate working with FIRST INTERNET BANK of Indiana and Loan Officer Mike **. His exceptional professionalism, candor, and patience was essential to my family making a wise home purchase enabled by First IB's great rates and great service. We'll be back!

First Internet Bank response

John, thank you for your repeated business - we appreciate you, too! Thanks for your wonderful feedback. We'd welcome the chance to serve you again.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

Brian ** at First Internet blew us away with his customer service and ability to navigate the twists and turns of California real estate even though he is based three time zones away. This is fifth home purchase but our first with First Internet and I can tell you that we will never use anyone else ever again. Thank you, Brian, for making what could have been an incredibly stressful experience relatively pain-free!

First Internet Bank response

Rachelle, thank you for choosing us five times! Nothing compliments us more than repeat business. We're glad we could take away the stress from the mortgage process for you. Thanks for taking the time to leave such a great review.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I would like to take the time to recognize and thank the team FIB for making our 1st VA Home Purchase a great experience. I would like to thank Kent ** and Katie ** for their hard work and attention to detail. Even with the time difference (Nevada) they have been able to take care of us in a very timely manner without the fear of not meeting our closing date. I know that there were a lot of hands that touched our file to make it happen, thank you to the behind the scene workers as well. I look forward to the opportunity to working together on our next home purchase.

First Internet Bank response

James, you're welcome. It was our honor to help you with your first VA home purchase. Thank you for your wonderful review. We would love the opportunity to work with you again, too!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First Internet Bank?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

My first experience with First Internet was very good - I had completed an online intake form via Bankrate.com and Nikko ** contacted me within minutes of the application. He was very thorough and knowledgeable as we worked through the initial loan application details, and patiently kept me apprised of the status. He reassured me (and my realtor) that we'd be able to close within a tight timeline, which was essential.

Once the loan went to processing, it was a few days before I heard from Katie **. I had actually sent her an email wondering if there was any information I could start compiling to keep the loan application moving forward since I hadn't heard anything. Nikko went on vacation at this time, so while I often couldn't get an answer from Katie, Chris ** was super-helpful - in fact, he predominately answered all my questions and kept everything on track.

It was really stressful not getting responses from Katie, which is why I rated the entire experience at 4, rather than 5 stars, but I would recommend First Internet to a friend, as long as they weren't as in as tight a timeline as we were! I would like to especially recognize Nikko and Chris as going above and beyond in their help during this process.

First Internet Bank response

Diane, thank you for leaving a review. While we were happy to hear you had a great experience overall and that we were able to meet your tight timeline, we apologize for your frustration with the processing of your loan. Communication should have more frequent and more responsive, and for that we’re sorry. Your feedback has been shared with the management team, and we’ll use it as a training opportunity. Thanks for your business.

Original review: July 31, 2018

Greg is always all over it. He not only keeps us on track but the loan officers, title company and VA. We will never use another loan officer. We always get the best rate and always close on time. Thanks Greg, you always take good care of us!

First Internet Bank response

You're welcome, Lisa. It's our pleasure to take good care of you. Thank you for choosing First Internet Bank and for your wonderful review!

Original review: July 31, 2018

The service was good. My loan officer Brian was very helpful. I was always able to ask questions and get them answered. I also like the competitive low rates. I would strongly consider using First Internet Bank again in the future.

First Internet Bank response

Michael, thanks for the great feedback. We're glad we could provide you with help along the way. Thank you for your business! We'd welcome the chance to serve you in the future.

Original review: July 27, 2018

Michelle and the gang were all top notch and professional. Rates were excellent and they held our hand throughout the process of our refinance. Easiest mortgage I've ever done by far! What a fast, professional, and friendly staff and company!!!

First Internet Bank response

Thanks for the stellar review, William and Becky. We're always happy to hear about our great rates, but even more pleased to hear about your "top-notch" mortgage experience. Welcome to the First Internet Bank family!

Original review: July 26, 2018

Great mortgage experience. This is my 3rd time buying a house and by far the easiest experience I've had. Jacklyn was very helpful and made the whole process very clear and easy. She was quick to respond and always upbeat. I would definitely recommend her and FirstIB to my friends.

First Internet Bank response

Jim, a great mortgage experience is what we strive for so we're happy to hear that was reflected for you! Thank you for your amazing review, business and any future recommendations you send our way.

Original review: July 23, 2018

As far as loan officers and companies go, this one is a premier bank! They are honest, quick and upfront. Never felt pressure, what they said is what you get. Obviously, there are regulatory hoops to jump but they made sure I know what was next and what to expect. I would suggest them to anyone. Also the 3rd party notary and a lot of good things to say. Thanks for the hard work, Mike!

First Internet Bank response

Zachary, you're welcome. It's our pleasure to work hard for you and make sure that everything is efficient and easy to understand. We appreciate your complimentary words and recommendation. Thanks for your business!

Original review: July 19, 2018

Best experience getting a home loan ever. Easy downloads and quick results. People were very helpful with any questions I had. Rate was also better and their pricing was up front and understandable. The title people came to my house making signing very easy. Nikko ** my loan officer showed expertise in his field along with his coworkers. I would recommend them to everyone.

First Internet Bank response

Loyd, thanks for your business, your great review and the recommendations. "Best experience getting a home loan ever," is a high bar to reach so we're delighted that we could surpass your expectations. We love to hear that you were not only satisfied with our rate and easy-to-use technology, but with our customer service. Welcome to the First Internet Bank family!

Original review: July 19, 2018

Our experience was long and tiring... I feel there was no correct teamwork going on to make the process easier and that First Internet Bank really need to correct that. We were asked for multiples of the same information given that some say they didn't receive and acknowledged that proper information was not given from the next team player. Although Nikko ** did an amazing job keeping in touch with us etc. Nikko ** I feel did everything in his power to keep us informed with everything and what was needed.

First Internet Bank response

Naim, we appreciate you sharing your feedback. Although we're glad to hear how happy you were with your loan officer, we apologize for your frustration with the rest of your mortgage experience. Your concerns have been shared with management and will be used as a training opportunity for process improvement in the future. Thanks for choosing First Internet Bank.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I am a Realtor in Arizona and I worked with Jacklyn ** on a VA transaction where we had a contingency in which our Buyer had to sell their current home in order to close our transaction. Needless to say, there were many bumps along the way with the other transaction causing delays on our end. Jacklyn handled all of the problems that we encountered with professionalism and worked outside of the box to find solutions and followed up with not only myself, but everyone involved to ensure that we were able to stay on track and get our mutual client's into their new home.

First Internet Bank response

Lisa, thanks for taking the time to leave such wonderful review. We always work to find the best solutions for our customers like your client. We hope to work with you and your customers in the future!

Original review: July 3, 2018

Great rate & process. Jacklyn did a fantastic job fighting for us through the process. We had some special circumstances with our mortgage, and FIB did a great job of shifting on a dime and getting the job done. Very pleased with the process and people we worked with.

First Internet Bank response

Jason, thank you. We think our people make the difference, so we're thrilled to hear you give our team a rave review! Thanks for your business.

Original review: July 3, 2018

I was hesitant on working with the First Internet Bank because I never heard of it and it was an internet bank, which seemed super weird to me. However, once I reached out, I was not disappointed. This was my first time going through the process of purchasing a home and Jacklyn made it as painless as she possibly could! She was friendly, responsive, honest and seemed to know what she was talking about. And if she was unsure of something, she would get clarification. I had a ton of questions to throw her way and she was so quick to respond and made sure I understood what was going on. I never felt alone in the process and I appreciate her for that. Thank you!

First Internet Bank response

Lindsey, congratulations on your first home! We're so glad we quickly calmed your worries and earned your trust. It's our goal to be your partner throughout the loan process and make it easier for you, so we're always happy to help. Thank you for choosing First Internet Bank!

Original review: July 2, 2018

Ms. ** did a fantastic job throughout the entire loan process. This was my second home purchase, so I was not brand new to the game, but Jacklyn was knowledgeable and extremely helpful. We had some issues with the person between the loan officer and underwriting, and Jacklyn smoothed out all misunderstandings and completed our loan without issues. We really appreciate all the work she did for us! Professional and kind, I would highly suggest her for any buyer, new or experienced.

First Internet Bank response

Cameron, we appreciate your business and for you taking the time to leave five-star feedback. We always strive to be professional, helpful, knowledgeable and kind - so we're delighted that was reflected in your experience.Thank you for your recommendation and for choosing us for your mortgage!

Original review: June 30, 2018

Jaclyn ** was my loan specialist. I say specialist because she was special to me. We had many conversations, she was very insightful and helpful throughout the process. We got to know each other too. She was able to direct me through the process to make sure everything was in order for a smooth loan experience.

First Internet Bank response

Kern, thank you for your sweet review. We're happy we had the opportunity to help you through the mortgage process. Welcome to the First Internet Bank family!

Original review: June 30, 2018

Excellent experience with Jacklyn throughout our home loan process. She was knowledgeable, kind, and responsive. Although our title attorney was skeptical regarding the “use of an Internet bank” he reported to us that his end of the transaction could not have gone smoother. Thank you for a good experience.

First Internet Bank response

Andrew, we're glad we could earn the trust of you and your title attorney, and we're even happier that you had an excellent experience! Thank you taking the time to leave a wonderful review and for your business.

Original review: June 30, 2018

Greg and his team were very professional in every aspect of the loan process. They kept both my realtor and I updated every step of the way. They hit a very tight closing date right on schedule with a great rate and even better service. I can't say how happy I was with the whole deal... especially considering how nervous I was initially using an internet based bank. I'll use you again! Thanks so much!

First Internet Bank response

Michael, we're glad we could calm your nerves and meet your tight closing date. We welcome the chance to serve you again. Thank you for your kind words and for choosing First Internet Bank!

Original review: June 29, 2018

I first started talking with with Chris ** over a year ago, but the timing wasn't right to refinance. When I recently went to refinance I reached out to Chris because of the initial impression he made. He did not disappoint! He was extremely knowledgeable, honest, helpful and efficient. He made the refinancing process not only smooth but enjoyable. I would not only highly recommend him to friends and family, but would welcome the opportunity to work with him again.

First Internet Bank response

Brinn, we're glad that it worked out for you to refinance your loan with us when the timing was right! Thank you so much for your wonderful review and future recommendations. We'd be happy to work with you again, too!

Original review: June 29, 2018

My experience with First Internet Bank was excellent. Jacalyn was extremely helpful and guided me through the process. Being out of town I was able to fax and email all documents which made everything go smoothly. If I was unsure of any written information Jacalyn clarified it for me. I would absolutely recommend to all my friends. One happy customer.

First Internet Bank response

Jennifer, when you're happy, we're happy! We're glad to hear you had such an excellent experience and that uploading all your documents went smoothly. Thank you for choosing First Internet Bank. We appreciate any future recommendations you send our way!

Original review: June 29, 2018

I applied for VA loan through First Internet and Jacklyn ** walked me through the whole process - she never got frustrated with my questions and responded quickly to all my requests. She got me a great rate - locked it in. She took me step by step to ensure everything was done correctly the first time. I would definitely recommend First Internet and Jacklyn **!!

First Internet Bank response

Thomas, we welcome the opportunity to help you with any mortgage questions and always want our customers to feel informed at every step of the process. We're delighted you got a great rate, but even more pleased that you loved the service you received. Thank you for your business and excellent feedback!

Original review: June 29, 2018

Jacklyn ** was an absolute flawless mortgage processor. Superior in every way. Her amount of contact: perfect. Her knowledge of the process: perfect. Her assistance on evenings and weekends: perfect. This was without a doubt, THE most pleasant mortgage transaction I have EVER been involved in. EVER. If I ever need another mortgage, I'll reach out to Jacklyn and FIB without hesitation. She's a complete and total rock star.

First Internet Bank response

Flawless. Superior. "The most pleasant mortgage transaction I have EVER been involved in." Randy, your complimentary words are making us blush. Thank you for taking the time to leave such a wonderful review. Welcome to the First Internet Bank family!

Original review: June 29, 2018

Working with an online mortgage company can be difficult; however, Jacklyn ** did a fantastic job with corresponding with us about what to expect, paperwork required, status of our application as well as our next steps. She was fast and efficient with all her communications as well.

First Internet Bank response

Michelle, we always strive to be efficient yet thorough with our customer communications so we're pleased to hear that was reflected in your experience. Thank you for your great review and for choosing First Internet Bank!

Original review: June 1, 2018

I was shopping for a refinance and received several quotes from different firms. First Internet Bank offered me what I thought was the best deal. I was asked to apply so my rate could be locked in, which I did. Unfortunately, my rate was not locked and instead I was sent a significantly different quote with a much lower lender credit. The loan officer stated this was due to a bad jobs report which caused the 10 year note to move higher. Though I understand that rates can move, this loan officer not only failed to lock me the day before but the credit changed by $4,000 which didn’t correspond to the move in the bond market. Comparatively, the other lenders credits only changed by a few hundred dollars. When I questioned the loan officer on this she simply has not responded. She clearly offered a rate and fee structure that could not be provided, enticed me to apply so she could pull my credit and is now offering a much worse deal. Classic bait and switch.

First Internet Bank response

We sincerely apologize for your frustration with your refinance quote. Unfortunately, third party websites cannot accommodate all of the specifics involved in an actual application, and a rate quote can differ once the additional information is applied. It was never our intention to be misleading; that’s not who we are.

It’s our understanding that one of our Mortgage Managers has reached out to you directly to discuss your situation further. We appreciate the opportunity to make this right.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I was skeptical when I started my loan process with First Internet Bank and I informed Jessica ** of my fear that she would not deliver. Jessica ** and her team prove us wrong. I have asked her to start my other house ref.

First Internet Bank response

Thanks so much for choosing First Internet Bank! We’re happy to hear we earned your trust and delivered on our promise to provide an exceptional experience. We look forward to serving you again!

Original review: March 20, 2018

Overall I was very happy with the service through the approval and implementation of the mortgage and I thank the bank for helping us acquire the property. Mike was a great anchor to communicate with throughout. I think the primary issue I and other providers (insurance, etc.) had was dealing with a number of individuals throughout the application, processing, & closing.

First Internet Bank response

Congratulations on your new home, Charles! It was truly our pleasure to assist you. While we know it can be tough to have several points of contact throughout the process, it’s because we have a whole team of experts working together to support you. Thanks so much for your business and welcome to the First Internet Bank family!

Original review: March 16, 2018

We are extremely thrilled to have received top professional mortgage services by First Internet Bank. The process was very smooth right from the outset with very little need for follow-ups. Bridget has been exemplary in taking care of the application from an end to end perspective. She ensured there are no loose ends and always ensured we are going to meet the deadline of 03/09. Michael was also extremely helpful whenever Bridget was occupied with the loan application. His responses were concise and he kept things very very honest and transparent. We would recommend FIB to all our friends and we will come back to FIB for our next mortgage.

First Internet Bank response

Thanks so much for the great feedback, Pratik! We stay on top of the details so you don’t have to worry about loose ends — and we do whatever we can to make things as easy as possible for you throughout the entire process. Welcome to the First Internet Bank family and we look forward to serving you again the next time!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

My first experience with an internet mortgage loan. I wanted a refinance and debt consolidation. I shopped around, asked questions and read reviews. I finally decided on FIB based on their replies to my initial queries and previous customer feedback. All I can say is, I do not regret my decision at all. It took exactly four weeks from the moment I started the application until the process was done. Everyone I worked with, especially my loan officer Shelly ** and the processor, Dean **, answered any questions I had promptly and correctly. If a supporting document needed clarification, they advised me immediately so I could provide an update. I have no complaints and nothing but appreciation and thanks for all they did. I am one very satisfied and happy customer and highly recommend FIB.

First Internet Bank response

Thanks so much, Elmer! We’re flattered that you did such thorough research and ultimately chose First Internet Bank to refinance your home. We have nothing but appreciation for you as well, and we’re delighted that you were happy and satisfied with your experience. Thanks again for your business and welcome to the First Internet Bank family!

First Internet Bank expert review by Michele Lerner

This online bank that provies a full line of banking services, including mortgages. The bank does not have any physical branch locations, but it operates in all 50 states.

• Online application: Interested consumers complete their entire application online. They can get prequalified online, too.

• Rate Watch: Those looking for a competitive interest rate can set up Rate Watch. They will receive an email notification when rates reach their specified point, or they can sign up to regularly receive rate updates.

• Mortgage types: Consumers can chose from several types of mortgages to meet consumers’ needs. Options include fixed and adjustable rate mortgages, FHA and VA loans, USDA Rural Development loans, HARP loans and jumbo mortgages.

• Contact: Applicants can reach the bank’s mortgage loan officers by phone during extended business hours on weekdays and from 9:00am to 4:00pm on Saturdays or by email at any time.

• Blog: All consumers can visitthe company blog to read helpful financial and banking articles, including posts about home buying and mortgages.

• Best for: those comfortable doing all their banking online.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
    Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

First Internet Bank Company Information