2. Mortgages
Accredited Partner

Call Now Toll Free
Compare Features
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.57/5

At First Internet Bank, we’re dedicated to serving as your trusted mortgage partner. It’s not just our exceptional customer service that sets us apart – our competitive rates are hard to beat!

We offer a variety of loan programs to help fit your needs: Fixed, ARM, Jumbo, FHA, VA and Home Equity. And for your convenience, you can apply online 24/7, no appointment needed.

Contact us today and let us make your home loan experience better, faster and easier.

NMLS #424182. Member FDIC. Equal Housing Lender.

BBB Rating
View More View More
First Internet Bank Call Now Toll Free (855) 767-2424 Compare Features
Call Now Toll Free

First Internet Bank Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

I used First Internet Bank to refinance my first condo. I was looking to buy a bigger place so I gave them another try. Right off the bat, they gave me very competitive rates, the lowest of the three lenders I obtained pre-qualifications from. I had the opportunity to work with Brian and he was excellent in providing service from beginning to the end. There were so many things I did not understand during the process and he took the time to explain everything to me through the pre-qualification and pre-approval processes.

When I finally found my dream home, the seller required that I cross-qualified with their lender which I did. The lender then tried to win my business by offering several discounts. Ultimately, I still ended up working with First Internet Bank because they put their best foot forward and even without negotiating with them, my costs were thousands of dollars lower than the seller's lender.

Once we started the process to close, it was very smooth. Initially, we had regular calls. Brian was very responsive and always returned my calls promptly anytime we didn't connect on the first try. Even though he was on eastern time and I was on pacific time, I didn't realize the difference. We initially set our closing date for 30 days. Because of the speed at which Brian and his team worked, we moved it up to 28 days. And without fail, Brian and his team delivered on getting me the loan on time. My home buying experience was somewhat stressful but I can say it was not because of my loan. I was always comfortable with where we were and very happy with how I was treated by Brian and First Internet Bank. I'll gladly use them again anytime I have to purchase or refinance my home.

First Internet Bank response

We’re happy that you found the home of your dreams! Buying a home can be stressful, that’s why we try to make the process as smooth as possible. We look forward to providing you with great rates and quality service whenever you’re ready. Thanks for the great review, Leslie!

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

Working with First Internet Bank was a great experience for me. I had looked long and hard at different companies and options for moving my Construction loan of my new home over to a permanent mortgage and came across FIB online. When I called and talked to Max ** I knew I had found the right company. Max quickly understood my needs and carefully took the time to explain all the details of how this process works and answered all of my questions without rushing to get me off of the phone. Max was great throughout the entire process and actually everyone involved was always very responsive to my emails or phone calls. Trust me when I says not all companies I spoke with had representatives that knew what I needed or took time to answer my questions unless I was willing to start the loan process. I’m thankful I found FIB, oh and their rates were the best I could find so I’m a happy camper all around. Thanks FIB!

First Internet Bank response

Congratulations on your new home! We’re glad you found our customer service – and our rates – to be first-class, and the process easy. Thank you for the excellent review, Tim.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

Joey ** worked very hard to provide the most competitive price and earn my business. He was prompt in returning all of my e-mails and phone calls. Overall, I am very satisfied with his service and my mortgage. It was clearly important to him that the complicated process of applying for a mortgage be as easy as possible for me. Additionally, he even made himself available to me on weekends when time was constricted by my closing contract.

However, there is one thing I wish he had done differently. That is that there were some questions that I asked where he just wasn't hearing me. He answered the question that he thought I was asking, but not my actual question. Although he was never rude, these times were frustrating for both of us. In the end, I had to let my question go unanswered knowing that it was not an inhibiting issue and only a matter of wanting more knowledge. Finally, and most importantly, I will say that Joey and his team, despite the few aforementioned communication failures, were able to provide me with the best mortgage and in time for closing. I would recommend him with a single caveat.

First Internet Bank response

Justeen, we appreciate the kind words and we're glad you're satisfied overall. We want you to know that we do take your concerns seriously. If you still have loan-related questions, please call 1-866-742-5158 and ask for the VP - Internet Mortgage Origination and we will do our best to clarify any confusion.

Original review: June 19, 2019

I worked with Chris ** to complete a cash out refinancing with FIB and was extremely pleased with the overall experience. Chris helped to streamline and simplify the typically cumbersome process and this is the second time FIB has refinanced my mortgage loan so I am a returning customer. Chris made things simple and kept the process rolling along smoothly. Three things stand out with the FIB experience. First, FIB finds competitive loan rates for its customers. Second, it operates transparently and does not attempt to exploit applicants with onerous points and hidden fees. Third, once a loan is approved by the underwriters, FIB is impressively fast from start to finish so the loan process does not drag on and languish in limbo.

The closing gets planned and the process gets completed in a very timely manner without issues. Taken as a whole, these are positive attributes many lenders can't deliver, which is why I returned to give FIB my business a second time on a mortgage refinancing. Shopping hundreds of banks to look for competitive deals is labor-intensive and painful and there are sometimes hidden fees and points that turn into unpleasant surprises after dozens of documents have been provided and the process is too far along to easily stop. I have already referred a colleague from work to Chris for a refinancing, which seems to be one of the bank's competitive strengths. I have had a positive customer experience overall and will likely return to FIB for a future mortgage refinancing if it makes good financial sense to do so.

First Internet Bank response

Wow, thanks so much for your kind words, Thomas! We’re thrilled that you came back to us for your refinance, and even happier that we were able to provide a great experience for you each time. We appreciate your business and your referral, and look forward to serving you again whenever you need us!

Original review: June 6, 2019

I was recently referred to work with First Internet Bank to refinance my home through a friend. I am taking the time to write this feedback because of how pleased I was with the entire experience from start to finish. My contact Max ** was very professional and informative. Nothing was a surprise and I was always kept in the loop. They were extremely competitive in cost and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone looking for a company they can completely trust to help with any of their home lending needs. Thank you First Internet Bank for helping with my lending needs.

First Internet Bank response

Robert, thank YOU! For your business, your referrals, and for taking the time to share this thoughtful review. We strive to provide the best service possible, and good communication is a big part of that. We look forward to serving you again whenever you need us. Welcome to the First Internet Bank family!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First Internet Bank?

Original review: May 10, 2020

My wife and I we very pleased working with Destiny. She was very professional, knowledgeable, and communicated promptly to email and phone contacts. We trusted her, and we feel very good about the experience.

First Internet Bank response

Hi Steve! We’re glad our team was able to help make your mortgage experience an easy and comfortable one. We hope to be able to work with you again in the future!

Original review: March 11, 2020

Successful Refinancing. Our mortgage officer was always available when we had questions or needed an explanation of the process, and kept everything moving smoothly. First Internet did a great job of controlling the other closing costs to the transaction and making it as seamless and convenient for us as possible.

First Internet Bank response

David, we appreciate the kind words! We always try to make the process quick and easy – and if we can save you money at closing, all the better! Thanks for your business - we hope to serve you again!

Original review: March 10, 2020

Closing Out IRA CDs. I purchased 2 separate IRA Certificates of Deposit in February of 2017 from First Internet Bank of Indiana. Both IRA CDs have a maturity date of February 6, 2021, and pay 2.20% annual interest. The accounts were made opened online with checks sent by mail. On February 26, 2020, I received a letter (sent by email) stating that they would no longer offer IRA Certificates of Deposit and that the funds from current CDs could be transferred or withdrawn without early withdrawal penalty.

The letter then stated that on October 1, 2020, all CDs would be closed and a check with accumulated interest would be sent to me. They would not honor the term of the IRA CD and pay no additional interest or penalty for early termination. On March 10,2020. I spoke with Charles Gearhart, Vice President of Relationship Banking, and he confirmed that the bank would not honor the term of the CDs and he stated that "the agreement" provided that the bank could change or amend the agreement at any time.

Hi Robert,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We understand that the decision to no longer offer IRA products may cause some inconvenience; however, it was made with our customers’ best interests in mind.

Given the complexities of these accounts, our IRA customers’ financial goals are better served by financial institutions that specialize in this product. First Internet Bank’s priority is to provide ample time for you to determine the best options moving forward and to assist in helping make the transition as simple as possible. There’s no tax penalty; once you select a new qualified IRA plan, you’ll have 60-days to complete the process. Our Relationship Bankers may be reached by visiting firstib.com or calling 1-888-873-3424. We appreciate the opportunity to have served your IRA account.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

Very professional, always received a response in a timely manner, best of all loan closed on time! We will definitely recommend your services to anyone looking for a mortgage. The whole process went very smoothly.

First Internet Bank response

Perry, we pride ourselves on getting our customers to closing in a timely manner. Thanks for the recommendation and for taking a few moments to share your experience!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

Considering how busy most mortgage outfits are these days Chris was very responsive and detailed replying to all my questions and need of explanation to certain process steps. He took his personal time to respond to my inquires without hesitation. Chris should be considered a valued resource to FIB as my experience with other mortgage companies was not as responsive which made my decision to stay with FIB solid. FIB Mortgage Process could you some fine tuning but I would recommend to others based on my experience with Chris.

First Internet Bank response

Joseph, thanks for sticking with us! We’re proud of our Loan Officers and the dedication they display every day. Glad you had such a great experience!

First Internet Bank author review by Michele Lerner

This online bank that provies a full line of banking services, including mortgages. The bank does not have any physical branch locations, but it operates in all 50 states.

• Online application: Interested consumers complete their entire application online. They can get prequalified online, too.

• Rate Watch: Those looking for a competitive interest rate can set up Rate Watch. They will receive an email notification when rates reach their specified point, or they can sign up to regularly receive rate updates.

• Mortgage types: Consumers can chose from several types of mortgages to meet consumers’ needs. Options include fixed- and adjustable-rate mortgages, FHA and VA loans, USDA Rural Development loans, HARP loans and jumbo mortgages.

• Contact: Applicants can reach the bank’s mortgage loan officers by phone during extended business hours on weekdays and from 9:00am to 4:00pm on Saturdays or by email at any time.

• Blog: All consumers can visitthe company blog to read helpful financial and banking articles, including posts about home buying and mortgages.

by Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

First Internet Bank Company Information