4.35/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

At First Internet Bank, we’re dedicated to serving as your trusted mortgage partner. It’s not just our exceptional customer service that sets us apart – our competitive rates are hard to beat!

We offer a variety of loan programs to help fit your needs: Fixed, ARM, Jumbo, FHA, VA and Home Equity. And for your convenience, you can apply online 24/7, no appointment needed.

Contact us today and let us make your home loan experience better, faster and easier.

NMLS #424182. Member FDIC. Equal Housing Lender.

BBB Rating
View More View More

212 First Internet Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: April 22, 2019

First gave them my title company estimate on closing. Sent information a month before closing. Mike said their title company would match. Never happened which I was told they would be sending me the difference. Mat ** told me he would contact the title company because they were supposed to send me the check. Most of this was talked about on the phone. I do have all the emails sending information on the cost of my title company and Mat information. I guess I should have recorded it. Now Mat sends me something to review this refinancing.

First Internet Bank response

Dean, we appreciated the opportunity to connect yesterday and apologize for the frustration the delay has caused. We have spoken with our partner and they are expediting delivery of your refund to correct the situation. We will forward the shipping confirmation once we receive it. Thank you for your patience; please let us know when you receive the check.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 19, 2019

Hi, everybody that works with me was incredibly professional and very helpful, kind, even with my horrible English, all was perfect. I will recommend you guys to my friend and family when they are going to get a loan from a bank.

First Internet Bank response

Willer, thank you so much for taking the time to share such kind feedback--and thanks in advance for your referrals! We are happy to serve however we can and remain dedicated to providing the best experience possible for every customer. Welcome to the First Internet Bank family!

Original review: April 19, 2019

A few years ago I got a loan from SoFi and it was an extremely frustrating experience for a much lower amount of money. When I needed to get a loan this time I went back to First IB and the process was very simple and straightforward. Scott did a great job explaining things and getting the process to move along. Thanks! ESM

First Internet Bank response

Elizabeth, we're so happy your home equity loan process was nice and smooth. It's true the home loan process can be quite cumbersome, so we appreciate the opportunity to show how simple it can be with the right lender. Thank you for giving us that chance and for providing your feedback. We appreciate your business!

Original review: April 19, 2019

We recently purchased a home using First Internet Bank and were extremely pleased with the process and outcome. As I stated to my loan contact, Chris **, I will definitely keep him in mind for future needs and will gladly refer FIB to others, when the opportunity presents itself. Thanks, very much, for the service and smile; it made the process substantially less difficult.

First Internet Bank response

Scott, thanks for your business, your great review and the recommendations. We love to hear that you were pleased with our service (and our smile!) Our entire team is dedicated to making the loan process as easy as possible and we're so glad we accomplished that for you. We look forward to helping you and your friends with any other mortgage or banking needs. Welcome to the First Internet Bank family!

Original review: April 9, 2019

Michael was an excellent help when purchasing my new home. I was a bit skeptical at first, because I had never heard of the company and it wasn't local. However, after reading several reviews I decided to contact the company and ended up working with Mr. **. He was very reassuring, helpful, and knowledgeable. He got me pre-approved right away so I would be ready when I found the house. This made the process go much smoother. He was quick to respond to phone calls and emails and his whole team worked very quickly, as well. In fact, we were even able to close on the house and move in two weeks early. I would recommend him to anyone looking to buy a home. My realtor and title company were also extremely impressed and couldn't believe the results. They also said they would be recommending him in the future. Thanks again for being such a great professional and for doing a fantastic job.

First Internet Bank response

Congratulations on your new home, Rowena! We’re so glad you did your research and chose First Internet Bank to help you make it happen. Our entire team is dedicated to answering your questions and guiding you through the process, so you’ll have an exceptional experience. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback, and for your recommendation. Welcome to the First Internet Bank family!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First Internet Bank?

Original review: April 9, 2019

Our experience in working with First Internet Bank was amazing. Brian ** was our loan officer and he went above and beyond to ensure that we had a wonderful loan experience. Brian was readily available to answer phone calls and emails, both before, and after traditional business hours. During our loan process, we encountered some issues with our builder and Brian was always there to allow us to vent our frustrations and to re-assure us that the loan would close on time and as planned. I would highly recommend Brian and First Internet Bank to anyone looking for a fast and pleasant lending experience.

First Internet Bank response

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback, Gary! We absolutely love hearing from happy customers like you — almost as much as we love giving you the best experience possible (even outside of regular business hours). It was truly our privilege to serve you. Thanks again for choosing First Internet Bank and congratulations on your new home!

Original review: April 9, 2019

My experience with First Internet and Scott ** was exceptional. I bought a FSBO home and I was not using a realtor. Scott was very knowledgeable, honest and always there when needed. I shopped hard a for mortgage company and I do not think I could have chosen any better. I received a very competitive rate and top notch professional service.

First Internet Bank response

Congratulations on your new home, Mike! We’re glad your research brought you to First Internet Bank, and thrilled we were able to provide an exceptional experience. We’d love another opportunity to ‘wow’ you the next time you need us. Thanks again and enjoy your new home!

Original review: March 20, 2019

Michael ** was excellent. As always, he responded in a timely manner, and most importantly, he got us the best loan deal possible. I highly recommend Michael ** and First Internet bank for home loans.

First Internet Bank response

Thanks for taking the time to share your five-star feedback, Robert! We’re committed to providing timely, attentive service — and some of the best rates in the industry. We truly appreciate your recommendation, and look forward to additional opportunities to assist you. Thanks again!

Original review: March 18, 2019

Chris ** was honest and helpful throughout the loan process. Helped me find the right loan period and down payment. I was informed every step of the process and gave me clear instructions to help me close my purchase on time.

First Internet Bank response

Congratulations on your new home! It was our pleasure to assist you, and we appreciate the positive feedback about your experience. We’d love another opportunity to serve you if you need us down the road. Welcome to the First Internet Bank family!

Original review: March 18, 2019

Scott was very good in handling questions and problems. Other departments in verifying information didn't seem quite on the ball. Asking for pay stubs that really didn't exist and using common sense in approach to this loan. This loan represented less than 30% of funds on deposit with First IB, have been a customer for over 15 years and the amount of loan was 10% of my equity in the home securing the loan. They did not review the disclosure document sent for my signature as it contained dates a month prior to when loan was to be closed. I requested corrections before I would sign. Found it to be a bit frustrating. But again Scott handled it well. A closer review of documents requiring customer signature is recommended.

First Internet Bank response

Thank you for the positive feedback about Scott. Hearing directly from our customers helps us better understand what is working…and what isn’t. We regret that your experience did not meet your expectations, or ours! To process your loan as quickly and efficiently as possible, we first request the documents we usually need. Sometimes, we learn something in underwriting that requires us to ask for additional documentation. And when we make a mistake — because occasionally, we do — we are transparent and quickly correct it. If you’d like to discuss your situation further, please call and ask to speak with our vice president of mortgage.

Original review: March 15, 2019

Superb across the board. Greg is definitely on his game! Your whole team is committed, cohesive and confident about the roles the play. Thank you for making your unique service level available to me. I would be happy to refer others your way!

First Internet Bank response

Wow… Thanks for sharing your experience, Eddie! Our entire team is dedicated to providing exceptional service from start to finish — and we love it when customers like you report that we’re delivering on our mission! We truly appreciate your feedback, and any referrals you send our way. Thanks again!

Original review: March 15, 2019

Working with Michael ** and his team was an amazing experience. Michael managed every step of the mortgage process. Prequalifying and having underwriting approval first made this process seamless and easy. Once we found the perfect home and entered into a contract, we closed in 2 weeks!!! We will absolutely refer First Internet Bank to our friends and families. We will definitely use First Internet Bank for all future mortgage business. Michael, Katie and the other team members, THANK YOU for your support and exceptional service!

First Internet Bank response

Amazing, seamless, easy, exceptional… These are all words we love to hear! And here are a couple words we love to say: Thank you, Gregory. It was our pleasure to work with you, and we look forward to helping you the next time you need us. Congratulations on your new home!

Original review: March 15, 2019

Destiny and her team at First Internet were professional, flexible and very up front. They guided me through the mortgage process and worked around my schedule to take calls at all hours. I would greatly recommend over traditional mortgage lenders.

First Internet Bank response

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback, Ian! We do everything we can to make the mortgage process as easy as possible — being flexible, and even answering calls outside of regular hours. We’re grateful for your recommendations. Thanks for choosing First Internet Bank!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I worked with Greg ** on refinancing my home. He was informed and gave me the best option for my needs. He was so quick about getting info to me or answering any of my questions. The loan was closed much quicker than expected!

First Internet Bank response

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback, Shauna! We’re committed to answering any questions, and working together to find the best loan option for your situation. And we’ll do whatever we can to keep things rolling, so we can get you to closing as quickly as possible. Thanks again for choosing First Internet Bank!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I opened a savings account with them because they have great rates, but to my disbelieve when I needed to take my money it has been a pain! First they said I wasn't set up to transfer out of my account yet I was set up to transfer into the account every week. They said it would take 7-10 business days to get me set up to take money out of my account. This sounds ridiculous! SO I closed my account and customer service said they would stop my automatic withdrawals from my other bank account and they did not. So they still haven't given me my money back and the withdrawals are still being processed. Have never worked with a bank that makes it so difficult to withdraw money. It is my money I should have easy access to it!

First Internet Bank response

We regret any frustration you have experienced, Camila. Banking and ACH regulations can make funds transfer a more complicated process than might seem necessary. To protect your privacy, we’ll contact you directly at the phone number we have on file for you to discuss your feedback and confirm you received your check.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I opened a savings account. Three days later I received an email stating that my money was being returned to me, no explanation given. I can't believe this, I feel like my money wasn't good enough for them.

First Internet Bank response

Oh no… looks like there might be a misunderstanding! Privacy rules prohibit us from sharing details in this public forum. Please get in touch with us directly by calling toll-free 1-888-873-3424. Ask to speak with our vice president of relationship banking. He has reviewed your file and awaits your call.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

My home mortgage experience with First Internet Bank was excellent. It's a bit tough to know how the whole process works before you go through it, so being a bit flexible with your expectations from your lender are advisable. For example, at first I was a bit put off by seeming inaccuracies in First IB's initial loan estimate. But, as I came to learn, many of those numbers are merely placeholders that will end up being the same across lenders.

For every question or worry I had about the loan estimate, my loan officer Chris ** was quick to reply via email with an honest and unvarnished answer. Given the time crunch and short learning curve one has during a closing period, this was very much appreciated. I was able to better compare mortgages across lenders as a result of Chris's willingness to give insights into the estimate document and overall lending process (he was very responsive via email, phone not quite as much). The closing process also went as smoothly as one could expect from an out of state lender. In the end, I feel that I found the best combination of loan rate, terms and service with First IB.

First Internet Bank response

Congratulations on your new home, Mike! Thanks so much for the detailed feedback, and for sharing your experience. We’re thrilled you were happy with your rate, terms and service. We look forward to helping you the next time you need us!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

So I opened 2 CDs with FirstIB and process went smoothly. Interface to open account super easy and quick. But a few weeks later I wanted to open 2 more CDs because of their awesome rates but I made a mistake on my application and now they want me to scan/fax an authorization form with voided checks for an ACH transaction. It is not like I am applying for credit or withdrawing money from them. I already am a customer so it shouldn't be this complicated. I do not have a scanner, fax, or checks. That is why I precisely bank exclusively online. Dean was very professional in explaining to me their process but it is still doesn't make sense when you are already a customer of theirs, it is redundant. I was thinking on bringing in more assets over to this bank from Ally and to possibly refinance my mortgage but this is a BIG red flag to stay away.

First Internet Bank response

We strive to balance convenience and strong security. The error on your application set off the fraud sensors. Ever vigilant about our customers’ information and funds, we heightened our authentication efforts at that point. We regret the frustration. Thanks for your kind words about Dean. We are proud to have knowledgeable, professional and accessible bankers when you need the human touch! If you change your mind about opening an additional account, please contact our VP Relationship Banking.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Just completed a home purchase with loan from FirstIB. As is usually the case, my experience with FirstIB was top notch. I've been banking with FirstIB for around 22 years now and have never had a bad interaction. The loan process met my high expectations. My calls were always answered promptly, often by bank agents that I had dealt with several times over the years. Despite being a national bank FirstIB always feels like a small bank. - Happy customer since 18 year old.

First Internet Bank response

Mark, thank you SO much for your customer loyalty. It's been our honor to serve you. Congrats on your home purchase! We look forward to serving you for years to come.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

I was purchasing a home and was unhappy with my current loan company. It was about 2 weeks till close and I called up first internet bank and spoke with Nikko **. Him and his team worked very quickly to get my loan transferred and they were there for me every step of the way. I was met with a lot of pushback from the seller and my realtor for changing loan companies so close to the close date, but Nikko was able to make everything happen on time and very smoothly. It was a very stressful time but First Internet Bank was there to assure me and take away the stress. Overall this was an amazing customer service experience and in the end they saved me tens of thousands of dollars. I can’t say enough good things about this company. Thank you.

First Internet Bank response

You're welcome, Aaron! We're glad we could help you save money, meet your tight deadline and most of all take away your stress with the mortgage process. Thank you for your kind words and welcome to the First Internet bank family!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

Thoroughly appreciate working with FIRST INTERNET BANK of Indiana and Loan Officer Mike **. His exceptional professionalism, candor, and patience was essential to my family making a wise home purchase enabled by First IB's great rates and great service. We'll be back!

First Internet Bank response

John, thank you for your repeated business - we appreciate you, too! Thanks for your wonderful feedback. We'd welcome the chance to serve you again.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

Brian ** at First Internet blew us away with his customer service and ability to navigate the twists and turns of California real estate even though he is based three time zones away. This is fifth home purchase but our first with First Internet and I can tell you that we will never use anyone else ever again. Thank you, Brian, for making what could have been an incredibly stressful experience relatively pain-free!

First Internet Bank response

Rachelle, thank you for choosing us five times! Nothing compliments us more than repeat business. We're glad we could take away the stress from the mortgage process for you. Thanks for taking the time to leave such a great review.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I would like to take the time to recognize and thank the team FIB for making our 1st VA Home Purchase a great experience. I would like to thank Kent ** and Katie ** for their hard work and attention to detail. Even with the time difference (Nevada) they have been able to take care of us in a very timely manner without the fear of not meeting our closing date. I know that there were a lot of hands that touched our file to make it happen, thank you to the behind the scene workers as well. I look forward to the opportunity to working together on our next home purchase.

First Internet Bank response

James, you're welcome. It was our honor to help you with your first VA home purchase. Thank you for your wonderful review. We would love the opportunity to work with you again, too!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

My first experience with First Internet was very good - I had completed an online intake form via Bankrate.com and Nikko ** contacted me within minutes of the application. He was very thorough and knowledgeable as we worked through the initial loan application details, and patiently kept me apprised of the status. He reassured me (and my realtor) that we'd be able to close within a tight timeline, which was essential.

Once the loan went to processing, it was a few days before I heard from Katie **. I had actually sent her an email wondering if there was any information I could start compiling to keep the loan application moving forward since I hadn't heard anything. Nikko went on vacation at this time, so while I often couldn't get an answer from Katie, Chris ** was super-helpful - in fact, he predominately answered all my questions and kept everything on track.

It was really stressful not getting responses from Katie, which is why I rated the entire experience at 4, rather than 5 stars, but I would recommend First Internet to a friend, as long as they weren't as in as tight a timeline as we were! I would like to especially recognize Nikko and Chris as going above and beyond in their help during this process.

First Internet Bank response

Diane, thank you for leaving a review. While we were happy to hear you had a great experience overall and that we were able to meet your tight timeline, we apologize for your frustration with the processing of your loan. Communication should have more frequent and more responsive, and for that we’re sorry. Your feedback has been shared with the management team, and we’ll use it as a training opportunity. Thanks for your business.

Original review: July 31, 2018

Greg is always all over it. He not only keeps us on track but the loan officers, title company and VA. We will never use another loan officer. We always get the best rate and always close on time. Thanks Greg, you always take good care of us!

First Internet Bank response

You're welcome, Lisa. It's our pleasure to take good care of you. Thank you for choosing First Internet Bank and for your wonderful review!

Original review: July 31, 2018

The service was good. My loan officer Brian was very helpful. I was always able to ask questions and get them answered. I also like the competitive low rates. I would strongly consider using First Internet Bank again in the future.

First Internet Bank response

Michael, thanks for the great feedback. We're glad we could provide you with help along the way. Thank you for your business! We'd welcome the chance to serve you in the future.

Original review: July 27, 2018

Michelle and the gang were all top notch and professional. Rates were excellent and they held our hand throughout the process of our refinance. Easiest mortgage I've ever done by far! What a fast, professional, and friendly staff and company!!!

First Internet Bank response

Thanks for the stellar review, William and Becky. We're always happy to hear about our great rates, but even more pleased to hear about your "top-notch" mortgage experience. Welcome to the First Internet Bank family!

Original review: July 26, 2018

Great mortgage experience. This is my 3rd time buying a house and by far the easiest experience I've had. Jacklyn was very helpful and made the whole process very clear and easy. She was quick to respond and always upbeat. I would definitely recommend her and FirstIB to my friends.

First Internet Bank response

Jim, a great mortgage experience is what we strive for so we're happy to hear that was reflected for you! Thank you for your amazing review, business and any future recommendations you send our way.

Original review: July 23, 2018

As far as loan officers and companies go, this one is a premier bank! They are honest, quick and upfront. Never felt pressure, what they said is what you get. Obviously, there are regulatory hoops to jump but they made sure I know what was next and what to expect. I would suggest them to anyone. Also the 3rd party notary and a lot of good things to say. Thanks for the hard work, Mike!

First Internet Bank response

Zachary, you're welcome. It's our pleasure to work hard for you and make sure that everything is efficient and easy to understand. We appreciate your complimentary words and recommendation. Thanks for your business!

Original review: July 19, 2018

Best experience getting a home loan ever. Easy downloads and quick results. People were very helpful with any questions I had. Rate was also better and their pricing was up front and understandable. The title people came to my house making signing very easy. Nikko ** my loan officer showed expertise in his field along with his coworkers. I would recommend them to everyone.

First Internet Bank response

Loyd, thanks for your business, your great review and the recommendations. "Best experience getting a home loan ever," is a high bar to reach so we're delighted that we could surpass your expectations. We love to hear that you were not only satisfied with our rate and easy-to-use technology, but with our customer service. Welcome to the First Internet Bank family!

First Internet Bank expert review by Michele Lerner

This online bank that provies a full line of banking services, including mortgages. The bank does not have any physical branch locations, but it operates in all 50 states.

• Online application: Interested consumers complete their entire application online. They can get prequalified online, too.

• Rate Watch: Those looking for a competitive interest rate can set up Rate Watch. They will receive an email notification when rates reach their specified point, or they can sign up to regularly receive rate updates.

• Mortgage types: Consumers can chose from several types of mortgages to meet consumers’ needs. Options include fixed and adjustable rate mortgages, FHA and VA loans, USDA Rural Development loans, HARP loans and jumbo mortgages.

• Contact: Applicants can reach the bank’s mortgage loan officers by phone during extended business hours on weekdays and from 9:00am to 4:00pm on Saturdays or by email at any time.

• Blog: All consumers can visitthe company blog to read helpful financial and banking articles, including posts about home buying and mortgages.

• Best for: those comfortable doing all their banking online.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

First Internet Bank Company Information