4.7/5 (329 ratings)

About Caliber Home Loans

Caliber Home Loans offers conventional mortgages, government home loans and refinancing options. The company’s services are available nationwide, and it prioritizes financial education by providing free resources on homebuying and lending on its website. Caliber Home Loans has a minimum credit score requirement of 620 for all applicants.

Pros

• Nationwide loan consultants
  • Provides educational resources
  • Offers FHA, USDA and VA home loans

Cons

• Loan rates not available online
  • Minimum credit score of 620

Bottom Line

Caliber Home Loans is a good choice for homebuyers with a credit score above 620. Its wealth of loan and refinancing options are ideal for buyers interested in putting down less upfront or lowering their monthly payment.

Top Caliber Home Loans Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Caliber Home Loans Inc.?

Verified

I had a wonderful experience working with Aimee **, she is friendly, thorough and efficient. Being able to upload documents was a breeze. Aimee kept me informed of each process an...

Verified

David ** was very easy to talk to. He answered all of my questions with patience and clarity. Dave handled everything and made the whole experience of refinancing hassle free. He ...

What is Caliber Home Loans?

Caliber Home Loans is a nationwide lender that offers conventional and government mortgages to interested homebuyers. The company also provides refinancing options for those looking to lower their monthly payment or interest rate. Caliber Home Loans consultants are located across the country to make loan access convenient for customers.

If you’re interested in applying for a home loan with Caliber, visit its website and create an account by entering your name and email address.

Once you’ve created an account, you can begin the loan application process. If you’re unsure of how to proceed or need advice, Caliber Home Loans’ website is full of educational homebuying and loan information for first-time buyers, including an online mortgage calculator, resource center and walkthrough of the homebuying process.

Caliber Home Loan rates

The cost of a Caliber Home Loan varies based on the price of the home, your credit score, your financial status and your employment status. When searching for a mortgage lender, it’s essential to get quotes from several companies to compare rates and choose the right option for you.

The company offers conventional loans and government loans, including FHA and USDA loans. Government loans often let homebuyers put down less money, and they typically have more flexible requirements than conventional loans.

Caliber Home Loans FAQ

Is Caliber Home Loans a bank?
No. Caliber Home Loans is a mortgage originator and servicer, not a bank.
Is Caliber Home Loans a broker?
No, Caliber Home Loans is not a mortgage broker. The company is a direct lender for mortgages.
What time does Caliber Home Loans open?
Typically, Caliber Home Loans’ offices open at 9 a.m., but you can visit Caliber’s website for a complete list of branch hours.
What does Caliber Home Loans do?
Caliber Home Loans is a mortgage lender that also offers refinancing options. The company does not provide other types of loans.

Is Caliber Home Loans legit?

Caliber Home Loans is a reputable home loan originator and servicer. The company provides several online resources for those interested in learning about the homebuying and lending process. Potential homebuyers looking to review their loan options will find Caliber Home Loans’ services to be useful.

Caliber Home Loans video review

caliber home loans video review
Marsela: Hi. I'm Marsela from Illinois, and I was directed to Caliber Home Loans to be able to get a loan. I was told that they would be able to help us out in our situation to find our dream home. A friend of mine gave me John Abraham's name at Caliber Home Loans, and he said he'd be able to help us out in our unique situation. What I liked about Caliber Home Loans was that we were able to get everything we needed back and forth through the computer. We didn't need to meet up or anything like that. All I had to do was scan, copy and send stuff right over to them. We are so happy that we chose to go with Caliber Home Loans. They were able to get us into our dream home and with not even any problems at all. It was such a breeze. I mean, it took time, but it was such a breeze and we're very pleased with the company that we chose. We've spoke with many people at Caliber Home Loans, and everyone was very courteous. They were very helpful. They made me feel very comfortable and reassured me whenever I had questions. I felt like I was bugging them or something, but they kept telling me that that's what they were there for. So, we're really happy that we went with them.

Caliber Home Loans Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Caliber Home Loans?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Caliber Home Loans Inc.?

Original review: Nov. 23, 2021

To make a long story short we have been trying to move for 8 years and last year we thought we found the house of our dreams. We tried to get a loan through Caliber Loans and because my husband was on furlough due to Covid, we were denied the loan. Well my husband went back to work a few months ago and we decided to go ahead and see about getting a pre-approval for a new home. Both times we spoke with John ** and he tried to do everything he could possibly do to make it work even though last time didn't work out. He definitely came in clutch this time and we are now currently living in our new home! We love it so much, it's so beautiful. We still can't believe it's ours and we are so happy! I highly suggest you talk to John ** at Caliber Loans if you are looking to purchase a new home!

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2021

I don’t know where to start! Me and my hubby who are both vets moved down here during a pandemic with two kids and a dog, and things were stressful. So we decided to buy a home and I went through CalVet, Navy Federal, everyone and then googling veteran resources. I find Hooray Heroes and call them and they were so nice! So they put me in touch with Phana and her team and it was just wonderful. I thank God for these people, I have terrible anxiety and would call every time I think I hit a bump in the road and they would immediately calm me down lol. They got back to me quickly and were able to answer all my questions, were supportive and knew what they were talking about. They feel like close family friends now lol.

It’s nice when someone actually takes the time to explain things to you, and I never felt like I was bugging them but I know I was lol. They were professional, courteous, friendly, and subject matter experts and I could not have asked for better people. Seriously I had the option of not writing a review but I think people need to know about them. So thank you Colleen, Phana, Peter and crew lol. I have my dream house, in a great city and have a great rate!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2021

Having wasted Two years and Thousands of dollars trying to buy a house, Martine ** from Caliber was referred to me by my Realtor Siomara **. The precision with which she works reassured me, I was in great hands. The service was outstanding. Their team had me in my own home within 30 days. I pay less now for mortgage than I did while paying rent and they were able to get me a really great interest rate. I recommend Caliber and especially Martine ** to every homebuyer, first time or not. Her experience and expertise shows that she knows exactly what she’s doing. With Caliber there is less red tape and it’s easy to follow the progress of my loan on the App. The communication is quick and easy, calls returned ASAP. I felt the Caliber team had my best interest at heart.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

For the most part we were mostly happy with the loan process. Our agent, Tom ** was great and went way above and beyond to try to make everything happen as quickly and efficiently as possible. Other staff we worked with were equally helpful too. There were several issues mostly related to the individual that came to appraise the home which could have been avoided had he asked us for information or details when he was here. Instead he submitted information that required follow-up and additional efforts to clarify those details which presented us with major angst and concern that this loan would be either delayed or possibly not completed. We had worked with Tom on several previous refinances of this property and did not have any of these issues or concerns during those processes. We are both thankful that Tom and the staff he worked with were able to assist us in getting through all these issues and completing the loan process.

Original review: June 18, 2021

Gina Gina Gina! This woman is a Godsend. My schedule is crazy with meetings all day. My wife was able to get all the information needed from Gina and her team whenever needed and relay back to me what needed to be done. She is so personable and adaptable to each person. She made it feel as if we were family and she was helping us through the process. Never was anything ever said that didn’t happen and never had to manage expectations. She needs a raise, office upgrade, something needs to be done to show appreciation for this woman because even through COVID she was there. Honestly if it wasn’t her I would have left and took my business elsewhere because I frankly don’t have the time and don’t want to deal with some robot or salesperson.

Original review: May 18, 2022

Back in January of 2022 the processing department incorrectly over-charged me ~$1,500 for a shortage in my escrow account; however, they then realized that this was a mistake and "mailed me a check" for a refund of $716. This check never arrived, which by itself was not a huge issue. The issues began when I called the customer service department to have this check resent - which they said was easy and they would get it taken care of immediately. They assured me I would get my check in 7-10 business days. We are now >3 months later and I still have not received my check.

I have called and spoken to the customer service department >10 times, and on numerous occasions I have been assured that the new check is in the mail, only to be told later when I call back (because the check never arrived) that it was in fact never sent because of an error either in the accounting or processing department. Each time I have requested to speak with a manager or customer service specialist, and each time I have been told "there is no one available" but I can absolutely expect a call back in 7-10 days. Again, no one has ever called me back, and they even had the customer service representative even promised me last time that they had just reviewed my case and I would be receiving a call back from the manager in <3 minutes. Again, no one ever called.

Clearly there is a massive failure here on the end of Caliber Home Loans, which all started from their error. Now they have been unable to resolve this for >3 months while withholding >$700 dollars from me. I would absolutely avoid this company for your mortgage like the plague, as you can expect large amounts of money to be mishandled and no customer service help.

Original review: May 5, 2022

Updated on 05/15/2022: I wrote complaint about Caliber’s fraud in transferring my property. They print off the original HELOC from the Clerk in the litigation since the transferred entity contract doesn’t exist. Told the Judge there was no contract with me and no proof the Caliber/LSF8 MPT owned the debt. The Judge told me to shut up and if I didn’t he would have his bailiff throw me out of his Court. Then entered a foreclosure order without proof of a contract. Caliber works with Rescue Investors who knock on the doors of those have a foreclosure date listed to play on the vulnerability of those being defrauded since the Justice System is fair in Texas.

Caliber’s fraud includes participation from Title Attorneys and Closing Companies working with Caliber. No closing package is given and in my case, no funding at the fake closing. The payoff was fake. The Title Company and Caliber would not send copies of checks received to buy the property with the Lender's name and checks disbursed listed on the fake HUD Settlement Statement. The HUD Settlement Statement, sent a year later, had a Lender name confirmed she did not fund the closing. They stole my property for $11,000. It was worth $450,000+.

CFPB is waiting on the Contract and proof of debt ownership; NMLS is waiting on the same plus a tie into the payoff submitted to a contract since Caliber’s Debt Law Firm stated my house was paid in full before the litigation. Caliber did not use the NMLS form to prove financial accuracy of payoff but a list on a correspondence page. TDI is waiting on a response from two Title Companies since Caliber did a Short Sale additional release of lien from a Company I never did business and or made a Short Sale ever!

Please note that LSF8 Master Participation Trust and Caliber Home Loans are owned by John Grayken’s Lone Star Funds. He controls the flow of information to the homeowners. Therefore, they set up to defraud me other LSF8 MPT transfers! They withhold contracts because they do not exist. LSF8 Master Participation Trust is not a registered entity to do business and or litigation. It cannot enter into contracts and initiate a lawsuit. If a Contract doesn’t exist, the Subject Matter of FDCPA doesn’t exist to prove they owned my debt, which was zero. Therefore, Caliber cannot enter into a Servicer Agreement and/or sue me for foreclosure! Be diligent because this is organized crime!

Original Review: Caliber was Servicer to an unregistered entity that filed a securities instrument transferred my property. It was illegal transfer. They do not send contract of new owners and me. Unregistered entity cannot do business or litigate in Texas. Caliber can’t enter into agreement with unregistered entities. Most of all unregistered entities cannot enter into contract with me. They withhold contract because it doesn’t exist.

Original review: May 5, 2022

Most times when I tried to pay my monthly payment through app I have bad, stressful times. When I tried to do sign in always I see session expired. Again and again. No matter day or night! Very difficult to pay my mortgage payment through this stupid app. Today May 4 2022, and I still doesn’t have access to pay my bill.

Original review: March 7, 2022

Caliber bought out our loan from the original lender we had. We've had nothing but problems with them. A few months after they bought the loan, they changed their system and asked us to be patient. That's fine. Our payment info was deleted, so we reentered it. They told us our payment didn't go through. We spent months calling and trying to fix our payment. We were told to wait and it would go through and we would not be faulted. We got late fees. Still no one would freaking take our money and we were told everything was our fault even when we had documentation of us trying to fix it. You'd think they would want to help us pay them. We are very diligent about bills, never late, and this has all been maddening. Considering refinancing just so we don't have to work with this company any more.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2022

No interest rate is worth the poor customer service they provide and their "new" website that doesn't allow borrowers to control their payment amounts or timing. The automated phone system takes 5+ minutes to reach a human and 3 out of 4 people I reached couldn't answer my questions and all promised to have a manager call me and that never happened. Do yourself a favor and pay more to go with someone else.

Caliber Home Loans Company Information