1.42/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Caliber Home Loans

Caliber Home Loans, Inc. is a privately held, full service national mortgage lender headquartered in Irving, TX.

The company originates loans through various channels and transaction types, and since its inception, grown its mortgage production volume while growing its servicing portfolio to over $75 billion.

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Caliber Home Loans Reviews

Original review: April 11, 2019

Christian ** at Caliber Home Loans understands "Customer Service". He made a complicated application and approval process seem simple, AND he's a great guy to boot!! I am not about writing a bogus review. We just closed our home loan and purchase today in Dallas. Do yourself a favor and call Christian first. It will save you a lot of money and headaches in a restrictive government regulatory environment leftover from the lax lending practices of the 2008 recession. You most likely will not find a better choice among residential lenders! We will use Christian ** again as well as refer him to our family and friends! On a scale on 1-10, yes he is a 10! Stuart & Marilynn

Original review: March 9, 2019

Charlie from Caliber Home Loans went above and beyond to help me purchase a home. He is an expert with FHA loans. While other loan officers will give you pre-approval letters, at the first sign of an obstacle they will drop you. After I had given the earnest money for a home, a previous loan officer wrote me a email that made me think I had no chance of getting a home. Another loan officer after my contract was accepted by the seller, just stopped returning my phone calls without any explanation, prior to this he was calling me almost every day. The seller's real estate agent had to sent him an email to which he answered he was not able to give me a loan.

When you first decide to purchase a home, you go online and look at different mortgage companies to see how much home you can afford. From there, the loan officers get your number and a large number of different loan officers will start calling you, and promise you a mortgage loan if you pick their company. I found out the hard way that it is easy to get a pre-approval loan but they will drop you if they have to work hard on your case. I was not buying an expensive home, it's just not worth their time. I was trying to get a modest FHA loan. Just be careful because every time they check your credit, your credit score drops and they don't go through with the loan. I was naive, they hand out the pre-approval letters without standing behind their promise.

There was some mistakes on my credit reports that needed to be fixed and Charlie took the time to counsel me on how to fix my credit reports. He was always available to talk on the phone, in the evenings and on the weekends. He will make you feel as if you are his most important client. He doesn't just give up on his clients and he is not afraid of hard work. Thank you Charlie for getting me my home and treating me as if I was buying a million dollars home.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

We had not planned on purchasing a home for several more months, but when a property suddenly became available we decided to move forward and take a leap of faith. The mortgage on my previous house had been sold to Caliber and they had been fantastic, so we decided to apply for the new mortgage through them.

It was only six weeks between getting my preapproval letter and closing. Over the Christmas and New Years holidays, mind you. The entire process was a whirlwind of communication, with my loan officer or her assistant communicating with me daily. Needs and expectations were clearly communicated. The entire thing was a choreographed dance. The faster I submitted the requested documents, the quicker things moved.

Really the only slow down was during underwriting. From purchasing my previous house I suspect that was more a result of the VA rather than the underwriter themselves. My loan officer was still talking to me daily but the underwriting team was a black hole of data. Lots went in, nothing came out. Still, I can't complain. Out of pocket costs at closing were far lower than expected, funding came through on the same day as closing. The family and I are looking forward to the next two weeks of getting moved into our new home. Buying a house is complicated. Having your paperwork lined up before starting makes it a lot easier.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

We have used Vicky ** and her team for 4 years now and my family and I are extremely satisfied and happy each time. Vicky and her team are knowledgeable, experienced, fast, friendly and very professional. They were on top of every detail related to our loan and kept us updated on every step of the loan. That's why I highly recommend them for their mortgage services. That’s why my family and I will continue to work with Vicky and her team for future real estate investments.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I experienced amazing customer service from Tom **. When I came to Caliber Home Loans my credit was nowhere close to the ballpark needed and Tom helped me set up a plan to fix my credit score. Less than 6 months later I was able to be approved for a home loan. Everywhere else I went they would tell me no and never offered me steps to take to help me. Tom took his time and worked with me and I am forever grateful for that. Thank you Tom **.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Caliber Home Loans?

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

This company is horrendous! Not only was my insurance canceled TWICE due to them not paying it in the only two years I have owned my home. I just received a bill from the property tax company stating we are DELINQUENT! They never paid that either. I am months ahead on my mortgage and have never been late. This is absolutely an outrage. I would never recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

Scam, No return calls, ran my credit without asking. I was working with Margarito. I paid him $700 to work on my husband and I credit back in 2018, nothing happen. He only put more harm into my credit. Then spoke with Iris. She did take time and told me what I needed to work on, but never heard from neither of them. 8 months later I get a text from Margarito asking how is my credit!! I paid for his services no results!!! Before that Iris never returned my calls. Now I'm working with another company.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

I refinanced our house and just realized Caliber charges $3.50 to make my payment online. It doesn't matter if you are making your payment early. They will charge this fee. I have had several mortgage loans in the past and this is the first time I have had a company charge me to make my payment online. I'm guessing someone up top did the numbers and figured they can collect a lot of additional money if a majority of their customers make their payments online.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

BUYER BEWARE!! Do NOT use this company for your mortgage needs. They have screwed me over and over. First they took so long with the beginning process and paperwork that I wound up with a higher interest rate than originally quoted. Then, 6 months into my loan THEY called ME and offered to refinance my loan for a lower interest rate, thereby reducing my payment - with NO MONEY DOWN. I initially worked with Donald ** who ASSURED me this would be done. I had to shell out the money to have my home re-evaluated. Next thing I know, I'm getting phone calls that they wanted $8000 for closing! I told them to review the phone conversation where it was discussed that it was no money down. They didn't want to hear that.

When I was trying to inquire as to what was taking so long, I got no return call and then received a letter in the mail stating that my application was withdrawn .. BY ME. I tried calling to discuss the matter and nobody would return my call. Then, when I try to make early payments in my effort to reduce my compound interest, I'm told that they don't allow that to happen.

There's no option for it on the app or on the website and if I make a payment over the automated system or directly to an agent, my funds will just sit there on hold until the balance is received where at that point, the whole balance would be combined to make the payment in full; otherwise, my early payment would be completely applied to principal or escrow - neither of them being an option I wanted! This does absolutely NOTHING for the customer. NOTHING. They are a HORRIBLE company to borrow from! TAKE YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY ELSEWHERE! This company does NOT have your best interest in mind. Loaning from them ONLY benefits them and NOT YOU!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

I do not pay real estate tax and have a VA loan. Caliber insists they hold escrow on my homeowner's insurance which is less than $2000 per year. Of course, they make an error with the escrow and want to charge me more money. I have never failed to pay any loan on time and have a credit score over 800. Caliber has created a mess where one does not need to be.

Caliber Home Loans expert review by Michele Lerner

This mortgage company was founded with a merger from Caliber Funding and Vericrest Financial. They offer consumers assistance with home loans, home buying and refinancing.

• National support: This company has branches across the United States, so you can get help with your home loan from a local loan consultant who understands the market in your state.

• Range of loan products: They provide a range of loan products available for their customers, including FHA loans, veteran loans, conventional loans and more.

• Resources for homebuyers: This company offers step-by-step guides to help you navigate the processes of prequalifying, financing, paying for insurance and understanding closing costs.

• Send away for more information: Submit a short form on the website to receive free information on their mortgage programs to help you make a decision about buying or refinancing your home.

• Quick and upfront mortgage approvals: Consumers get quick and upfront mortgage approvals, so you will know shortly after applying for a loan whether or not you qualify.

• Fresh Start: The Fresh Start program is designed to help homeowners who have previously experienced a foreclosure, bankruptcy or any other credit setback to get a home loan ranging from $150,000 to $1 million.

• Best for: homebuyers and home builders.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
      Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Caliber Home Loans Company Information