Caliber Home Loans
1.26/5

Caliber Home Loans

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Caliber Home Loans, Inc. is a privately held, full service national mortgage lender headquartered in Irving, TX.

The company originates loans through various channels and transaction types, and since its inception, grown its mortgage production volume while growing its servicing portfolio to over $75 billion.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

Caliber Home Loans Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: March 9, 2019

Charlie from Caliber Home Loans went above and beyond to help me purchase a home. He is an expert with FHA loans. While other loan officers will give you pre-approval letters, at the first sign of an obstacle they will drop you. After I had given the earnest money for a home, a previous loan officer wrote me a email that made me think I had no chance of getting a home. Another loan officer after my contract was accepted by the seller, just stopped returning my phone calls without any explanation, prior to this he was calling me almost every day. The seller's real estate agent had to sent him an email to which he answered he was not able to give me a loan.

When you first decide to purchase a home, you go online and look at different mortgage companies to see how much home you can afford. From there, the loan officers get your number and a large number of different loan officers will start calling you, and promise you a mortgage loan if you pick their company. I found out the hard way that it is easy to get a pre-approval loan but they will drop you if they have to work hard on your case. I was not buying an expensive home, it's just not worth their time. I was trying to get a modest FHA loan. Just be careful because every time they check your credit, your credit score drops and they don't go through with the loan. I was naive, they hand out the pre-approval letters without standing behind their promise.

There was some mistakes on my credit reports that needed to be fixed and Charlie took the time to counsel me on how to fix my credit reports. He was always available to talk on the phone, in the evenings and on the weekends. He will make you feel as if you are his most important client. He doesn't just give up on his clients and he is not afraid of hard work. Thank you Charlie for getting me my home and treating me as if I was buying a million dollars home.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

We had not planned on purchasing a home for several more months, but when a property suddenly became available we decided to move forward and take a leap of faith. The mortgage on my previous house had been sold to Caliber and they had been fantastic, so we decided to apply for the new mortgage through them.

It was only six weeks between getting my preapproval letter and closing. Over the Christmas and New Years holidays, mind you. The entire process was a whirlwind of communication, with my loan officer or her assistant communicating with me daily. Needs and expectations were clearly communicated. The entire thing was a choreographed dance. The faster I submitted the requested documents, the quicker things moved.

Really the only slow down was during underwriting. From purchasing my previous house I suspect that was more a result of the VA rather than the underwriter themselves. My loan officer was still talking to me daily but the underwriting team was a black hole of data. Lots went in, nothing came out. Still, I can't complain. Out of pocket costs at closing were far lower than expected, funding came through on the same day as closing. The family and I are looking forward to the next two weeks of getting moved into our new home. Buying a house is complicated. Having your paperwork lined up before starting makes it a lot easier.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

We have used Vicky ** and her team for 4 years now and my family and I are extremely satisfied and happy each time. Vicky and her team are knowledgeable, experienced, fast, friendly and very professional. They were on top of every detail related to our loan and kept us updated on every step of the loan. That's why I highly recommend them for their mortgage services. That’s why my family and I will continue to work with Vicky and her team for future real estate investments.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

I started communicating with Mindy at the San Marcos office on August 20, 2019 and my last communication with her was on December 6. The loan process would still be going on had I not finally decided that I didn't want to jump through any more hoops to get the house I was hoping for. The amounts needed in my bank account kept changing, the closing costs and down payment amounts kept changing. She even requested access into my credit union account so she could get into it. This was one of the worst experiences of my life. The seller was willing to change the closing date three times because Caliber kept coming up with more costs and monies needed, the last request was that I withdraw funds from my bank account that they told me I had to have in order to qualify and they still didn't qualify me to meet the third or fourth date set for closing.

I would never, ever recommend Caliber Home Loans and I certainly would not recommend Mindy. She became very condescending and very rude during the last few weeks of trying to get the loan finalized. Every time she requested documentation, more money, or more information I was on it. In my opinion there was no reason for this approval to drag on for almost four months. I believe she mishandled my application in every way possible, including having family members lie about funds gifted to me and having me lie about funds I had personally saved up. What a stressful few months I've gone through to end up not getting the house I chose and having to start over in order to buy a home. She even had me wire funds ($14,412) to a title company and keep it there for two weeks before she told me to request it back so they can approve me. Very unhappy with Caliber.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

Real problems. Steer clear if have choice. When 1st being transferred charged me 3 years escrow in 6 month time period. No customer support for over 3 weeks. A second problem was customer service was not accessible thru "secure message" online. Didn't answer 800 number during daily business hours. When loan was refinanced after 3 years an balance of escrow owed check bounced plus NSF fees. Tried customer support to resolve issue. Told many times to prove. Finally denied access to online web page.

Caliber Home Loans response

Hi Mark, we sincerely apologize for this less than satisfactory experience.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Caliber Home Loans Inc.?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

They say all the right things but then something comes up or happens and they need more time or money. We were upfront with them on the property we were looking to purchase, I was preapproved so we put in a bid, paid the appraisal fee and escrow. Suddenly I'm not qualified, lets make some changes that raise the closing costs. Get qualified again, then sent to underwriting before appraisal is ordered. Then the appraisal fee changes 3 times (paid $600 initial, then raised to $775, then $975) with the excuse that no appraiser in the state will go out there so they had to give more to get one to say sure give me $1000 and I'll do it in a month. Then a week later they come back with, "Sorry we won't lend on the property". Even my realtor says we were strung along and that everyone did everything they asked, presented every last document requested etc. All we get is sorry, you'll be refunded your appraisal and escrow within a month.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

Customer service is the worst with this company. First, they want to charge you $3.50 to make an online transaction that saves them work. Second, when they took 9 days to cash the check I sent to them on time I ended up cancelling it and paying their online fee to avoid a late charge, then they decide to charge an NSF fee. I cannot wait to change companies.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

My lender said I was qualified for first time home buyers from day one so when the time came to put in an offer I agreed to pay all closing costs. But I wasn’t first time home buyer. I didn’t find that out until two hours before closing which my my mortgage broker had no idea either. He was clueless or just trying to get the sale. One piece of advice I can give is just go to a real bank. I found out later that my pushy lender was the branch manager. I never received the first two months statements and then got a letter that they sold my loan. -50 out of ten stars. The worst company to work with.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

If you think about refinancing your home with Caliber Home Loans, please make sure FLORA ** is not your representative. She called me to offer me a loan; I told her i already chose another lender with a 3.75% interest and she said to me she can give me a better rate of 3.6%. We go thru the whole application and it end up that i had to pay $7k in points to get the 3.6%. Are you kidding me???? Almost 2 two hours of my life waste!! Pulled my credit for nothing, not very happy with her right now. Worst sales person i have ever dealt with!!!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

I refinanced my home in September, 2019 with the same lender which is Caliber Home Loans. I was told that I would be getting my escrow money back at closing however they conveniently shorted the final payoff amount to the amount I had in my escrow account. Which means they took my escrow to make up the difference so that I would not be getting a refund. I never received a final payoff amount from the title company or lender so I took the closing documents for the gospel (good news). Fourteen hundred dollars will not make or break me but the fact that more than one person lied to me makes my blood boil. As a retired Marine, integrity is rooted in every Marine. So you can imagine how I might feel when violated.

If you're shopping for a mortgage lender whose employees represent integrity, honesty and moral courage, you might want to bypass Caliber Home Loans. Even giving the opportunity to make things right, they still chosed to endorse dishonest employees. They do not have your best interest at heart. It's all about money and numbers. They will respect you to your face while lying to you at the same time. Unless you're are a realtor or mortgage broker and are familiar with the many documents do not enter into any contract with this lender. This is a VA loan as well. This experience has made me sick to my stomach. Happy Veterans Day to me from Caliber Home Loans where they don't give a care about customers and only want your money by any means necessary even lying.

Caliber Home Loans Inc. expert review by Michele Lerner

This mortgage company was founded with a merger from Caliber Funding and Vericrest Financial. They offer consumers assistance with home loans, home buying and refinancing.

• National support: This company has branches across the United States, so you can get help with your home loan from a local loan consultant who understands the market in your state.

• Range of loan products: They provide a range of loan products available for their customers, including FHA loans, veteran loans, conventional loans and more.

• Resources for homebuyers: This company offers step-by-step guides to help you navigate the processes of prequalifying, financing, paying for insurance and understanding closing costs.

• Send away for more information: Submit a short form on the website to receive free information on their mortgage programs to help you make a decision about buying or refinancing your home.

• Quick and upfront mortgage approvals: Consumers get quick and upfront mortgage approvals, so you will know shortly after applying for a loan whether or not you qualify.

• Fresh Start: The Fresh Start program is designed to help homeowners who have previously experienced a foreclosure, bankruptcy or any other credit setback to get a home loan ranging from $150,000 to $1 million.

• Best for: homebuyers and home builders.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Caliber Home Loans Company Information