2. Mortgages

4.7/5 (369 ratings)

About Caliber Home Loans

Caliber Home Loans offers conventional mortgages, government home loans and refinancing options. The company’s services are available nationwide, and it prioritizes financial education by providing free resources on homebuying and lending on its website. Caliber Home Loans has a minimum credit score requirement of 620 for all applicants.

Pros

• Nationwide loan consultants
  • Provides educational resources
  • Offers FHA, USDA and VA home loans

Cons

• Loan rates not available online
  • Minimum credit score of 620

Bottom Line

Caliber Home Loans is a good choice for homebuyers with a credit score above 620. Its wealth of loan and refinancing options are ideal for buyers interested in putting down less upfront or lowering their monthly payment.

Top Caliber Home Loans Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Caliber Home Loans Inc.?

Verified

I had a wonderful experience working with Aimee **, she is friendly, thorough and efficient. Being able to upload documents was a breeze. Aimee kept me informed of each process an...

Verified

David ** was very easy to talk to. He answered all of my questions with patience and clarity. Dave handled everything and made the whole experience of refinancing hassle free. He ...

What is Caliber Home Loans?

Caliber Home Loans is a nationwide lender that offers conventional and government mortgages to interested homebuyers. The company also provides refinancing options for those looking to lower their monthly payment or interest rate. Caliber Home Loans consultants are located across the country to make loan access convenient for customers.

If you’re interested in applying for a home loan with Caliber, visit its website and create an account by entering your name and email address.

Once you’ve created an account, you can begin the loan application process. If you’re unsure of how to proceed or need advice, Caliber Home Loans’ website is full of educational homebuying and loan information for first-time buyers, including an online mortgage calculator, resource center and walkthrough of the homebuying process.

Caliber Home Loan rates

The cost of a Caliber Home Loan varies based on the price of the home, your credit score, your financial status and your employment status. When searching for a mortgage lender, it’s essential to get quotes from several companies to compare rates and choose the right option for you.

The company offers conventional loans and government loans, including FHA and USDA loans. Government loans often let homebuyers put down less money, and they typically have more flexible requirements than conventional loans.

Caliber Home Loans FAQ

Is Caliber Home Loans a bank?
No. Caliber Home Loans is a mortgage originator and servicer, not a bank.
Is Caliber Home Loans a broker?
No, Caliber Home Loans is not a mortgage broker. The company is a direct lender for mortgages.
What time does Caliber Home Loans open?
Typically, Caliber Home Loans’ offices open at 9 a.m., but you can visit Caliber’s website for a complete list of branch hours.
What does Caliber Home Loans do?
Caliber Home Loans is a mortgage lender that also offers refinancing options. The company does not provide other types of loans.

Is Caliber Home Loans legit?

Caliber Home Loans is a reputable home loan originator and servicer. The company provides several online resources for those interested in learning about the homebuying and lending process. Potential homebuyers looking to review their loan options will find Caliber Home Loans’ services to be useful.

Caliber Home Loans Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Caliber Home Loans?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Caliber Home Loans Inc.?

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

Caliber Home Loans has been a mostly a wonderful experience. My loan consultant has been very helpful and prompt. The whole process seemed streamlined and made being a first time home buying a very pleasant experience. I still gave them five stars but there is some concerns with their customer service phone line and supposed online bill pay. When you call by phone it’s nearly impossible to find a menu option that will allow you to talk to an actual human if you have questions. Once I found this option and selected it, I was hung up on twice while on hold.

As far as bill pay over the phone that was straight forward and a quick process. Their website and app is useless when it comes to bill pay. I’ve followed every link they have to try to set up online bill pay through each transactions but when I log into my account it only shows that my loan process was completed with no option to look at statements or make payments. It’s rather frustrating to say the least. But again overall I am very pleased and still gave 5 stars because I was still able to pay my bills just not the way I would have preferred to do it. I could be doing it wrong, I’m only human after all.

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

I have a friend who recently purchased a home and their negative experience really opened my eyes to how much of a difference your mortgage company and broker can make. Eric ** and his team at Caliber are AMAZING to work with. I just finished a refinance on my first home and it was so refreshing to be able to work with the same person who talked me through buying it the first time. They are knowledgeable, responsive, and really will help you find the best solution for your circumstances.

Caliber has a great website and makes it easy to make monthly payments and understand where your money is going. They send out tax documentation in a timely manner, and you are able to look that information up on their website in case you misplace the hard copy. When I had questions about my impound account and whether I needed to pay my property taxes, I texted Eric and he called me immediately to give me the information I needed. For anyone considering financing or refinancing a home, look no further than Caliber!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

My experience with Caliber Home Loans was always absolutely perfect! I received the original loan through Caliber, and recently easily conducted the loan refinance to take advantage of the new lower rates. Both processes were absolutely straight-forward and came through early without a single glitch. I especially appreciated how my Caliber agency conducted weekly status calls to let me know how the original loan process was going. I have heard nightmare stories from friends regarding their home loan process with some other lender. None of that happened to me! Everything went smoothly and the home purchase went through exactly as planned. WOW!

My Caliber loan officer informed me of loan options I had never heard of (Lender Provided PMI), which allowed me to get into my house with lower money down. If I had only known that was a possibility I would have purchased a home much earlier and not paid rent those extra years. I highly recommend Caliber Home loans to all my friends looking to buy a home.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2020

My realtor had me get in touch with Caliber Home Loans to see if I qualified for a loan. There was a little work for me to do before I could get a loan so the team at Caliber gave me helpful suggestions to get me where I needed to be. Once I followed through they promptly let me know I had done it! That I was now pre-approved!

I thought it would take forever to find a home, but honestly the first one I looked at was perfect! The next day my offer was accepted! All the way through the home buying process the team at Caliber was there for me. I’m older, this is the first home I have even ever thought about purchasing and I was doing it all alone. Caliber and my realtor were there, I was never alone. They answered questions at any hour (no later than 9, that would just be rude for me to ask that late ????). If I ever were to buy another home I would go through Caliber again and I definitely will suggest Caliber to anyone I know interested in buying a home.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2020

Gleyde with Caliber Home Loans and her team were phenomenal! She was always very professional and informative. Her knowledge of the process and genuine passion for her job were evident, and made for a very pleasant and reassuring experience. We even had some hiccups with our VA appraisal, but Gleyde ensured it would not hinder our loan processing. She went to bat for us and it resulted in us receiving a substantial amount of lender credits at closing!

Let me be clear - the "hiccups" were due to the negligence of an outside party... Nonetheless, Gleyde went out of her way to (successfully) make right their wrong! She did not have to do this, but her genuine concern for our family and pride in her profession drove her to push for a favorable resolution. Gleyde and her team are an amazing group of knowledgeable professionals. I rate them at 10 out of 5 stars!! Highly recommend!!!

Original review: July 16, 2021

Caveat emptor! I wish I'd done my homework, and read the reviews here before working with Caliber Home Loans, Inc. on a refi. My odyssey with this company began in January, 2021. Since then, I've:

• Submitted reams of personal and business financials in no fewer than three separate occasions. Each delay on their side — and there were many delays — compelled us to start over.
    • Had my credit report pulled numerous times (x3) by Caliber, each time resulting in a 3-4 point penalty.
    • Paid a nominal fee in February to lock in an interest rate.
    • Been promised that my interest rate, and consolidated credit cards, would be factored in so that Caliber could provide the refi at the ratios they wanted.
    • Reviewed, signed and initialed 4-5 waves of DocuSign documents. None of which was updated with new info as it was submitted.

• Spoken with at least three individuals in the course of the last 7 months, only to learn that my most recent contact retired.

Finally, in June 2021 (almost 7 months to the day of starting this process!), I received a denial statement by snail mail. This, after receiving an apology for how long the process had taken, and that the company was expediting my loan for approval. The laughable part is that one of the key factors for denying my loan was that there were too many credit inquiries made in the last 12 months. But, Caliber was the entity making those inquiries (with one exception)! When attempting to contact Caliber to discuss the matter, and ask for a refund on my interest rate lock, I discovered that their 888 number (as it appeared on the denial letter) is no longer in service. This isn't surprising given how hard it was to communicate with the company after the initial contact. By all indications, this is a company in trouble, and an unscrupulous one at that. Save yourself valuable time, money and anguish, and look elsewhere for a lender.

Original review: July 2, 2021

Randy ** was AMAZING with my home buying experience. I am a first time home buyer, and had so many questions about the process, what needed to happen next etc. etc. He was so patient and answered all my questions, was very responsive, and seemingly very supportive of the entire process. He was able to lock in a super low rate for me, and the whole process was seamless. I was extremely pleased with the experience, especially as a first time buyer!

Original review: June 29, 2021

I am a first time home buyer and was in a rush buying process. Dawn and her team worked fast and made sure we were able to get all documents needed and questions answered. They were able to close fast and we received our keys in less than a month.

Original review: June 29, 2021

6/29/2021 - I had spoke to Rick ** about three weeks ago about refinancing our home. Rick said he was going to look into details about my employment and get back to me. Never did. If you couldn’t work with us, it would have been great to let me know, not just bIow me off. Very unprofessional in my experience.

Original review: June 28, 2021

We had such a wonderful experience with Caliber Home Loans. I highly recommend this company to anyone applying for a loan. They are knowledgeable, trustworthy, diligent, and hard workers. KUDOS to all of them who helped us, especially Todd **.???❤️

Caliber Home Loans Company Information