4.5/5 (284 ratings)

About Caliber Home Loans

Caliber Home Loans offers conventional mortgages, government home loans and refinancing options. The company’s services are available nationwide, and it prioritizes financial education by providing free resources on homebuying and lending on its website. Caliber Home Loans has a minimum credit score requirement of 620 for all applicants.

Pros

• Nationwide loan consultants
  • Provides educational resources
  • Offers FHA, USDA and VA home loans

Cons

• Loan rates not available online
  • Minimum credit score of 620

Bottom Line

Caliber Home Loans is a good choice for homebuyers with a credit score above 620. Its wealth of loan and refinancing options are ideal for buyers interested in putting down less upfront or lowering their monthly payment.

Top Caliber Home Loans Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Caliber Home Loans Inc.?

Verified

I had a wonderful experience working with Aimee **, she is friendly, thorough and efficient. Being able to upload documents was a breeze. Aimee kept me informed of each process an...

Verified

David ** was very easy to talk to. He answered all of my questions with patience and clarity. Dave handled everything and made the whole experience of refinancing hassle free. He ...

What is Caliber Home Loans?

Caliber Home Loans is a nationwide lender that offers conventional and government mortgages to interested homebuyers. The company also provides refinancing options for those looking to lower their monthly payment or interest rate. Caliber Home Loans consultants are located across the country to make loan access convenient for customers.

If you’re interested in applying for a home loan with Caliber, visit its website and create an account by entering your name and email address.

Once you’ve created an account, you can begin the loan application process. If you’re unsure of how to proceed or need advice, Caliber Home Loans’ website is full of educational homebuying and loan information for first-time buyers, including an online mortgage calculator, resource center and walkthrough of the homebuying process.

Caliber Home Loan rates

The cost of a Caliber Home Loan varies based on the price of the home, your credit score, your financial status and your employment status. When searching for a mortgage lender, it’s essential to get quotes from several companies to compare rates and choose the right option for you.

The company offers conventional loans and government loans, including FHA and USDA loans. Government loans often let homebuyers put down less money, and they typically have more flexible requirements than conventional loans.

Caliber Home Loans FAQ

Is Caliber Home Loans a bank?
No. Caliber Home Loans is a mortgage originator and servicer, not a bank.
Is Caliber Home Loans a broker?
No, Caliber Home Loans is not a mortgage broker. The company is a direct lender for mortgages.
What time does Caliber Home Loans open?
Typically, Caliber Home Loans’ offices open at 9 a.m., but you can visit Caliber’s website for a complete list of branch hours.
What does Caliber Home Loans do?
Caliber Home Loans is a mortgage lender that also offers refinancing options. The company does not provide other types of loans.

Is Caliber Home Loans legit?

Caliber Home Loans is a reputable home loan originator and servicer. The company provides several online resources for those interested in learning about the homebuying and lending process. Potential homebuyers looking to review their loan options will find Caliber Home Loans’ services to be useful.

Caliber Home Loans video review

caliber home loans video review
Marsela: Hi. I'm Marsela from Illinois, and I was directed to Caliber Home Loans to be able to get a loan. I was told that they would be able to help us out in our situation to find our dream home. A friend of mine gave me John Abraham's name at Caliber Home Loans, and he said he'd be able to help us out in our unique situation. What I liked about Caliber Home Loans was that we were able to get everything we needed back and forth through the computer. We didn't need to meet up or anything like that. All I had to do was scan, copy and send stuff right over to them. We are so happy that we chose to go with Caliber Home Loans. They were able to get us into our dream home and with not even any problems at all. It was such a breeze. I mean, it took time, but it was such a breeze and we're very pleased with the company that we chose. We've spoke with many people at Caliber Home Loans, and everyone was very courteous. They were very helpful. They made me feel very comfortable and reassured me whenever I had questions. I felt like I was bugging them or something, but they kept telling me that that's what they were there for. So, we're really happy that we went with them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Caliber Home Loans?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Caliber Home Loans Inc.?

Original review: Nov. 23, 2021

To make a long story short we have been trying to move for 8 years and last year we thought we found the house of our dreams. We tried to get a loan through Caliber Loans and because my husband was on furlough due to Covid, we were denied the loan. Well my husband went back to work a few months ago and we decided to go ahead and see about getting a pre-approval for a new home. Both times we spoke with John ** and he tried to do everything he could possibly do to make it work even though last time didn't work out. He definitely came in clutch this time and we are now currently living in our new home! We love it so much, it's so beautiful. We still can't believe it's ours and we are so happy! I highly suggest you talk to John ** at Caliber Loans if you are looking to purchase a new home!

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2021

I don’t know where to start! Me and my hubby who are both vets moved down here during a pandemic with two kids and a dog, and things were stressful. So we decided to buy a home and I went through CalVet, Navy Federal, everyone and then googling veteran resources. I find Hooray Heroes and call them and they were so nice! So they put me in touch with Phana and her team and it was just wonderful. I thank God for these people, I have terrible anxiety and would call every time I think I hit a bump in the road and they would immediately calm me down lol. They got back to me quickly and were able to answer all my questions, were supportive and knew what they were talking about. They feel like close family friends now lol.

It’s nice when someone actually takes the time to explain things to you, and I never felt like I was bugging them but I know I was lol. They were professional, courteous, friendly, and subject matter experts and I could not have asked for better people. Seriously I had the option of not writing a review but I think people need to know about them. So thank you Colleen, Phana, Peter and crew lol. I have my dream house, in a great city and have a great rate!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2021

Having wasted Two years and Thousands of dollars trying to buy a house, Martine ** from Caliber was referred to me by my Realtor Siomara **. The precision with which she works reassured me, I was in great hands. The service was outstanding. Their team had me in my own home within 30 days. I pay less now for mortgage than I did while paying rent and they were able to get me a really great interest rate. I recommend Caliber and especially Martine ** to every homebuyer, first time or not. Her experience and expertise shows that she knows exactly what she’s doing. With Caliber there is less red tape and it’s easy to follow the progress of my loan on the App. The communication is quick and easy, calls returned ASAP. I felt the Caliber team had my best interest at heart.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

From the moment we first spoke with Jon and his team, I knew we were in good hands. Jon went above and beyond, from counseling my husband and I on our options and suggestions to help improve our financial positioning, down to working hand-in-hand with my realtor on options when the unthinkable happened and I got COVID days before our closing date. Even with that unpredicted bump in the road, everything went smoothly and perfectly and I always felt informed, empowered, and that I had the right team in my corner. Jon must also be really good at hiring people because his team is phenomenal. Kind, quick to respond, and made the entire process as easy as it can be. I honestly can’t say enough good things about Caliber. I am definitely a customer for life.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

For the most part we were mostly happy with the loan process. Our agent, Tom ** was great and went way above and beyond to try to make everything happen as quickly and efficiently as possible. Other staff we worked with were equally helpful too. There were several issues mostly related to the individual that came to appraise the home which could have been avoided had he asked us for information or details when he was here. Instead he submitted information that required follow-up and additional efforts to clarify those details which presented us with major angst and concern that this loan would be either delayed or possibly not completed. We had worked with Tom on several previous refinances of this property and did not have any of these issues or concerns during those processes. We are both thankful that Tom and the staff he worked with were able to assist us in getting through all these issues and completing the loan process.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2022

!!!No communication, raises mortgage payment due to “escrow shortage”, paid it off over the last year, payment stays the same despite the payments being done. I call customer service to figure out why, they say it’s cause I need to have them do a new escrow analysis, despite the fact the agreement was for a 12 month period and they told me NOTHING about needing to do something on my end when I agreed to the extra payment for the 12 months. So I say do the escrow analysis and ask to speak to a manager/supervisor to go over this and they put in a note for them to call me back. It’s been TWO WEEKS and no call back yet despite me trying to call them twice in that time and each time no one being “available” but they’ll add to the note on my account. Now I check and they finished the escrow analysis and it RAISED my payment again… What in the actual ** Is going on and why can’t I get some or to talk to me?!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2022

Servicing the loan I had no complaints until I came to try and refinance with them. I worked with J.J. ** from their refinance team. At first she seemed helpful and friendly but I didn’t feel like I was getting a good deal with them. I shopped around and she had me set up on a much higher interest rate with double the closing costs than the current provider I went with. When reaching out to them to see if they could do better she became impossible to contact and lied numerous times saying that the rate the other company gave me was impossible and not locked in, etc. After deciding to go with the better deal she became very unprofessional and that department itself did every trick in the book to try and hold up my refinance.

They over charged me on my appraisal and wouldn’t give details for where the extra money was going. Lied about having an appraisal department but when I called and asked no one knew what I was talking about. Tried calling to get them to send over the documents that we needed but was constantly lied to about their transfer. System not working or was given false numbers to call back. Her boss was no help. After I tried reaching out to them they couldn’t be bothered to back to me. It wasn't till I tried every number I could from their automated list of people that I finally got a person that was “helpful” and sent over the documents needed weeks later and only after having to threaten them with filing a complaint with the CFPB.

The sad part for me was I was an existing customer with them and did like the various payment options they offered although I couldn’t help but feel like they were trying to take advantage of me when it came to this refinance and that they didn’t care to try and keep me as a customer. The whole experience left a sour taste in my mouth and I did what I could to not have them be the Servicer for my loan anymore. As stated above the company was great when just servicing the loan but when it came to looking into refinancing they were awful in every professional aspect. I wouldn’t recommend them at all, there are way better lenders out there that won’t lie or give you the run around like Caliber did. Truly a frustrating experience that didn’t need to happen the way it did.

Original review: July 6, 2022

My experience with this company was a nightmare. This company hired some stupid idiots that don't care at all for your needs. Ask for stupid things on the last minute before closing (believe me. Real stupid things. The Broker worked with me has 30 years experience and never had business with caliber before and said they are a bunch of dummies don't know what they are doing). Stay away from this people. Their only desire is make any business and they will sell your mortgage before you sign the closing. They are there just to make your life miserable, stressful and they only want make money on you doing nothing and putting no money at all. They will sell to you for "x" and right before closing they will sale it for "y". They are not a bank. Don't pay more . Look for a real bank to make your loan. DON'T RECOMMEND AT ALL... I DON'T RECOMMEND THIS ** NOT EVEN FOR MY ENEMIES... NO CALIBER!!! GET OUT CALIBER!!!

Original review: June 4, 2022

I don't recommend this company at all. Period. Horrible customer service. They never speak clear. They pay attention to your case only if you are a good deal for them. At least that was what I felt, otherwise they just don't care about your situation. Only when I called pushing they moved some fingers, but not for long, only to make you feel they are doing something. If they reply to this comment then I will tell my story, making it more understandable, of course. PS: If there would be 0 star that would be my rating.

Original review: May 18, 2022

Back in January of 2022 the processing department incorrectly over-charged me ~$1,500 for a shortage in my escrow account; however, they then realized that this was a mistake and "mailed me a check" for a refund of $716. This check never arrived, which by itself was not a huge issue. The issues began when I called the customer service department to have this check resent - which they said was easy and they would get it taken care of immediately. They assured me I would get my check in 7-10 business days. We are now >3 months later and I still have not received my check.

I have called and spoken to the customer service department >10 times, and on numerous occasions I have been assured that the new check is in the mail, only to be told later when I call back (because the check never arrived) that it was in fact never sent because of an error either in the accounting or processing department. Each time I have requested to speak with a manager or customer service specialist, and each time I have been told "there is no one available" but I can absolutely expect a call back in 7-10 days. Again, no one has ever called me back, and they even had the customer service representative even promised me last time that they had just reviewed my case and I would be receiving a call back from the manager in <3 minutes. Again, no one ever called.

Clearly there is a massive failure here on the end of Caliber Home Loans, which all started from their error. Now they have been unable to resolve this for >3 months while withholding >$700 dollars from me. I would absolutely avoid this company for your mortgage like the plague, as you can expect large amounts of money to be mishandled and no customer service help.

Caliber Home Loans Company Information