1.74/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Caliber Home Loans

Caliber Home Loans, Inc. is a privately held, full service national mortgage lender headquartered in Irving, TX.

The company originates loans through various channels and transaction types, and since its inception, grown its mortgage production volume while growing its servicing portfolio to over $75 billion.

Looking for a mortgage lender?

2657 Caliber Home Loans Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 11, 2019

Christian ** at Caliber Home Loans understands "Customer Service". He made a complicated application and approval process seem simple, AND he's a great guy to boot!! I am not about writing a bogus review. We just closed our home loan and purchase today in Dallas. Do yourself a favor and call Christian first. It will save you a lot of money and headaches in a restrictive government regulatory environment leftover from the lax lending practices of the 2008 recession. You most likely will not find a better choice among residential lenders! We will use Christian ** again as well as refer him to our family and friends! On a scale on 1-10, yes he is a 10! Stuart & Marilynn

Original review: March 9, 2019

Charlie from Caliber Home Loans went above and beyond to help me purchase a home. He is an expert with FHA loans. While other loan officers will give you pre-approval letters, at the first sign of an obstacle they will drop you. After I had given the earnest money for a home, a previous loan officer wrote me a email that made me think I had no chance of getting a home. Another loan officer after my contract was accepted by the seller, just stopped returning my phone calls without any explanation, prior to this he was calling me almost every day. The seller's real estate agent had to sent him an email to which he answered he was not able to give me a loan.

When you first decide to purchase a home, you go online and look at different mortgage companies to see how much home you can afford. From there, the loan officers get your number and a large number of different loan officers will start calling you, and promise you a mortgage loan if you pick their company. I found out the hard way that it is easy to get a pre-approval loan but they will drop you if they have to work hard on your case. I was not buying an expensive home, it's just not worth their time. I was trying to get a modest FHA loan. Just be careful because every time they check your credit, your credit score drops and they don't go through with the loan. I was naive, they hand out the pre-approval letters without standing behind their promise.

There was some mistakes on my credit reports that needed to be fixed and Charlie took the time to counsel me on how to fix my credit reports. He was always available to talk on the phone, in the evenings and on the weekends. He will make you feel as if you are his most important client. He doesn't just give up on his clients and he is not afraid of hard work. Thank you Charlie for getting me my home and treating me as if I was buying a million dollars home.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

We had not planned on purchasing a home for several more months, but when a property suddenly became available we decided to move forward and take a leap of faith. The mortgage on my previous house had been sold to Caliber and they had been fantastic, so we decided to apply for the new mortgage through them.

It was only six weeks between getting my preapproval letter and closing. Over the Christmas and New Years holidays, mind you. The entire process was a whirlwind of communication, with my loan officer or her assistant communicating with me daily. Needs and expectations were clearly communicated. The entire thing was a choreographed dance. The faster I submitted the requested documents, the quicker things moved.

Really the only slow down was during underwriting. From purchasing my previous house I suspect that was more a result of the VA rather than the underwriter themselves. My loan officer was still talking to me daily but the underwriting team was a black hole of data. Lots went in, nothing came out. Still, I can't complain. Out of pocket costs at closing were far lower than expected, funding came through on the same day as closing. The family and I are looking forward to the next two weeks of getting moved into our new home. Buying a house is complicated. Having your paperwork lined up before starting makes it a lot easier.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I experienced amazing customer service from Tom **. When I came to Caliber Home Loans my credit was nowhere close to the ballpark needed and Tom helped me set up a plan to fix my credit score. Less than 6 months later I was able to be approved for a home loan. Everywhere else I went they would tell me no and never offered me steps to take to help me. Tom took his time and worked with me and I am forever grateful for that. Thank you Tom **.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

Overall, I am pleased to have finally been able to complete the process of rolling my Home equity Loan into my Mortgage Loan. My interactions with both Matthew ** and my Loan Processing Officer, Ashley ** were outstanding! Whenever I had a question or concern they both made sure to address my issues, especially Ashley who I dealt with the most!

Why I did not give a 5 star rating? I became very frustrated with the number of times that I had to provide documentation regarding our income sources to your auditors. Instead of asking for all of the data upfront it took several requests over a one month period. I am sure it is because we are self-funded and other than our social security payments our monthly incomes are generated from our financial assets. I also was disappointed that I felt like I was a new customer versus a customer who was already a Caliber Customer who has an outstanding loan payment record on my primary account with Caliber Home Loans. Ashley did an outstanding job helping me navigate through your Loan Auditors numerous requests! My only other issue which upset me the most was the way my experience with Title 365 initially went down! I heard directly from the Notary who was assigned to process the Closing Documents regarding my closing date.

For some unknown reason the paperwork the Title 365 was to receive was not sent. Instead of hearing from Title 365 regarding this problem, my only contact was with the Notary who was assigned. When the paperwork did finally arrive, I received a call from a different Notary who informed me that she would be completing the process. I later found out that the original Notary had been told by Title 365 that I had requested that she be replaced. A request that I did not make! I to this day never had any interaction directly with anyone from Title 365!

I became very angry regarding how this went down and contacted Ashley who took prompt action to resolve this problem to my complete and total satisfaction. The original Notary who was assigned to complete the paperwork also did an outstanding job and like Ashley, she was customer focused. I understand that Caliber has to contract 3rd party folks to handle the closings but they too represent Caliber Home Loans and they need to be held accountable when they pull stunts like the one Title 365 tried to pull on me!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Caliber Home Loans?

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

Caliber (fna Countrywide Financial) is a sham conduit for Bank of America who illegally and secretly cash your mortgage payments. Caliber and BOA forge your Notes; internally default loans, steal performing loans from GSE and defraud borrowers at any opportunity they can. BOA does not need your mortgage payments - they need to foreclose you. This is the only way they can cover for fatally damages Titles. Ask Caliber for a copy of your Promissory Note with Assignments - and they will send you a poorly forged document where some non-authorized party will assign it to unrelated "creditor" - in the most unlawful manner.

I just got mine - total FORGERY. A "Collateral Shipper Jordan **" assigned my Note to Caliber at the day of closing while Caliber lied that they "purchased" my loan from the original "lender. All this fraud is covered by National Fidelity Title dba Black Knight fna as DocX who massively forged mortgage documents in 2008. While Lorraine Brown went to jail, Black Knight continue to do the same - help BOA and Caliber defraud borrowers and steal homes.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

This will be the first company review I have ever written. I am not easily disgruntled and candidly don't have time for this. However, Caliber is now responsible for the worst customer experience I've ever had. I would recommend you use any other company besides Caliber. Caliber's error costs me hundreds of dollars and many hours of my time. After completing Caliber's convoluted PMI removal process, I was told that they didn't have an appraisal from the appraiser that THEY sourced. Their response? "Tough luck, start the process over and we will be taking zero financial responsibility for our mistake". Usually, these kind of things can be resolved by talking to a manager. Not the case with Caliber, as the manager was unhelpful in answering very basic questions. About 2 minutes into our conversation it became clear that he had no defense for Caliber's failure, but that he was going to remain steadfast insisting I pay for it.

Two big takeaways from my experience with Caliber:

1) Caliber feels no sense of accountability to their customers. All companies make mistakes. Very few of them refuse to acknowledge and remedy those mistakes.

2) Caliber has absolutely horrible back end processes. It is unfathomable to me that the company could contract an appraiser to appraise a customer's home, and have exactly zero record of who is doing the appraisal and when they are doing it. That is sloppy at best and gross negligence at worst.

There are all kinds of mortgage lending companies out there. The chances of finding one with better processes than Caliber are high. The chances of finding one that doesn't ask customers to pay for company mistakes is almost guaranteed. I recommend that anyone considering Caliber consider my experience and take your business to a company that will value your business and deliver a pleasant experience.

Original review: July 27, 2019

I've been trying to sign up for recurring payments for months now. Every time I click the link on their website to do so, I receive a message that states I need to make my current payment before I can sign up, and that after that's done, I should return to this page to finish registering. After making the payment, I return to the page, and it STILL has the same message. I finally got fed up today and called their 24 hour toll free number and navigated to the information about signing up for recurring payments, and the stupid automated voice directed me back to their non-functioning website. Guess I'll have to call during regular business hours. I wish like crazy my lender had not sold my mortgage to this company. I have nothing good to say about Caliber.

Original review: July 25, 2019

When their online system is incorrect Caliber Home Loans is unwilling to acknowledge and rectify their mistakes. They will always blame the customer and try to make you feel like you are unintelligent. This was done by Cory, Tasha and Tiffany. If you are going to do business with Caliber Home Loans please be aware that they do not work with the consumer regarding issues with their own systems.

Original review: July 19, 2019

Bryan ** has helped us twice with mortgaging our home, and he has been very informative and supportive in the process. He is willing to go the extra mile, even making himself available for after-hour questions and concerns. We have had two positive experiences working with him and his company in Portland Maine.

Caliber Home Loans expert review by Michele Lerner

This mortgage company was founded with a merger from Caliber Funding and Vericrest Financial. They offer consumers assistance with home loans, home buying and refinancing.

• National support: This company has branches across the United States, so you can get help with your home loan from a local loan consultant who understands the market in your state.

• Range of loan products: They provide a range of loan products available for their customers, including FHA loans, veteran loans, conventional loans and more.

• Resources for homebuyers: This company offers step-by-step guides to help you navigate the processes of prequalifying, financing, paying for insurance and understanding closing costs.

• Send away for more information: Submit a short form on the website to receive free information on their mortgage programs to help you make a decision about buying or refinancing your home.

• Quick and upfront mortgage approvals: Consumers get quick and upfront mortgage approvals, so you will know shortly after applying for a loan whether or not you qualify.

• Fresh Start: The Fresh Start program is designed to help homeowners who have previously experienced a foreclosure, bankruptcy or any other credit setback to get a home loan ranging from $150,000 to $1 million.

• Best for: homebuyers and home builders.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
      Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Caliber Home Loans Company Information