Call toll free
4.57/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Caliber Home Loans, Inc. is a privately held, full service national mortgage lender headquartered in Irving, TX.

The company originates loans through various channels and transaction types, and since its inception, grown its mortgage production volume while growing its servicing portfolio to over $75 billion.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

2591 Caliber Home Loans Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I have contacted Caliber 5xs by phone and 6xs by email. An escrow analysis was completed. They noted a shortage. I mailed my $380 payment with the recommended coupon. They then applied the payment to the principal and not ESCROW. They factored in the shortage by $50 into my current payments. All the contacts I have had with Caliber result in no change to my mortgage payment. It took a month to transfer the shortage payment into my ESCROW which did not change my monthly payments at all. Additionally it still displays as a shortage. I have surrendered to the fact that they are clueless. I will be refinancing with Chase.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

Wendy handled my loan and was wonderful. She was clear in the process, answered all questions immediately and made me feel like my loan was important. She also had a very quick turnaround from initial paperwork to closing. I would recommend her to everyone!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

The entire process went very smoothly. No hiccups whatsoever. The loan was approved and processed in an extremely timely manner which allowed us to close quickly. It could not have gone better. We were very satisfied when all was said and done.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

The staff was great and super easy to work with. They responded right away to any of my questions and went above and beyond to help me purchase my first home. I would gladly recommend their services to family and friends.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Super Experience - online form submittal - made the experience great and the actual closing - while lengthy was professionally handled. Thank you! This experience was recommended by the Realtor and was well appreciated. I am still waiting to see how the automatic payments work, but if this service like any previous ones works as well - it will make this transaction great and very much appreciated.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Caliber Home Loans?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Caliber Home Loans was there every step of the way to help me understand what I needed for the process and what I would be getting from their services. They were able to help me better understand things that not even my real estate agent knew about. They were truly a great help and I do recommend them to everyone I know.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

My first experience with the mortgage system of the United States, and I can say that a good experience full of learning and satisfaction, I can fully recommend this institution, I hope that my future activities can be done through this bank.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

Find another Mortgage company, Caliber is only concerned with taking your money. This is my third house and my worst experience. Caliber was the case for 90% of it and continue to be a pain to deal with. They are continuously adding charges and my Mortgage keeps increasing because they did not do their job in the beginning. As well they hold onto excess cash that they overcharge you and neglect to tell you. The recent increase is for monthly payments. Unless you do AUTOPAY they charge you 3.75 every time you want to make a payment. They just decided this without regards to what I would like to do or how I take care of my finances. Will be switching and refi to a new company as soon as I can.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

My loan was sold to Caliber shortly after I bought my condo just over a year ago. I received repeated notices that the company would buy insurance at my expense if I did not provide documentation of condo insurance. I went to the website and updated as requested. There was no response except more notices stating that insurance would be charged to my account. I also faxed/mailed/made multiple phone calls and Caliber still charged expensive insurance my account. The insurance I bought was $200. Caliber's was $700. The only explanation that I could get was that the copy of my insurance was not legible. Interesting how Caliber doesn't bother to ask for a copy.

It took months to get a refund. This process started again this year with Caliber stating that they will purchase insurance for me if they don't receive documentation. Again I enter the info on the website. I continued to get notices that insurance would be purchase for me if I did not provide documentation. I called and again the answer was that my copy was not legible (it looked perfectly legible to me). I asked the person I spoke with if she would email confirmation if I faxed my insurance info. I faxed it and of course did not receive confirmation.

I called again. The person I talked to blamed the whole thing on my insurance company... Well how about the part where Caliber charged me 700 for $200 insurance instead of asking for another copy? I have owned a house for over 20 years. My loan has been sold many times and I have never had these issues.

Caliber's strategy is to wear down the customer by ignoring documentation that is sent in, requiring customers to spend endless hours on the phone for nothing. This company is the worst.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I refinanced my home after a divorce. My experience was fantastic. Betsy ** was very compassionate and patient with my questions. The process was very easy and communication was immediate. I would certainly use her again for my next buying experience!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

We applied for a mortgage through Caliber who was recommended by our builder. We were preapproved for a 30 year loan and 5 days before we closed were told we needed to come up with 20k or go to a 15 year loan almost doubling our payment a month. When we questioned why we were told the loan officer pulled our credit 11 times in the last few days. We were forced into taking the 15 year due to the timing. Just this month we found out Caliber paid another customers bill out of our escrow in the amount of $48,000. This company is incompetent and unethical!!!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

My mortgage was sold to Caliber Home Loans. During Hurricane Irma every customer svc person told me a different explanation. These people are not knowledgeable in their jobs. Overwhelmed & tired of dealing with them. They tell you they will call you back and they don't. No promise they told me has been met as yet. One year anniversary coming up and I want to get a divorce. They suck. Very bad experience.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

They do offer the ability to pay over the phone and online, but as you would expect from a smaller shady company, they have a little inconsistency that can screw you over. I've had many different lenders and all of them always considered the payment made the date you actually make the payment. However, if you pay online, they don't count it paid until it drafts from your bank. So, if I go online today (14th), which is a Friday, and my due date was the 15th, they won't consider the payment made until the Monday! That is really horrible. If someone happens to need to push out to the end of their grace period, that could cause a late fee.... when they technically paid within the grace period. Just seems like a shady way to skim money off their customers. However... if you pay over the phone, they count it paid immediately. SMH.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

Very grateful for Caliber and all their work to help us get our home, but it was confusing to talk with a different person every time we called or emailed, and frustrating to have to explain our situation over and over again. Their work was great and we always recommend them to people, but a little disappointed about that aspect of our time with them after having the misguided impression that we were working with one of them in particular.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I have had the worst time with Caliber. I had to report them 3 times already to the BBB, They lie, give false information and then wont accept accountability. They put me in a modification all signed paperwork was completed. I signed the agreement they confirmed that they had received it and then 3 months into making payments I find that I'm in foreclosure, not one phone call or letter was received. When I finally got in touch with them to find out was going on they said they never got paperwork. Now they are telling me to do another modification. They are scam artist and this was their way of taking my home from me.

If it wasn't for a realtor to call me and ask if I wanted to sell my property I never would of known I was even in foreclosure and I would of lost my home. I'm suing them for damages and loss of work and stress behind all of this, I am physically ill over this. I have been worrying myself sick I have lost 13 pounds. Cant eat or sleep and I'm losing hair. I did nothing to deserve to be treated like this and Caliber wont accept accountability. They could care less and I'm gonna make sure no one else ever has to go through the stress of losing their home because they made a mistake and lost my paperwork.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I think it's ridiculous that Caliber now charges a $3.50 fee to make an additional principal payment online. Caliber states that this fee commenced on July 1, 2018. Never in my life have I had to pay to make a mortgage payment online. Shame on you, Caliber! I would think you would want to make it easy on your customers, but evidently not. On top of it I am signed up for Bi-monthly payments which I thought would greatly accelerate a reduction in principal over the life of the mortgage. So even though there is suppose to be no pre-payment penalty - Caliber holds the first half of your payment in suspense until they receive the second part of your payment. So they're keeping your money and not benefiting you with a reduction in interest charges.

In the loan docs it states in bold letters there are no pre-payment penalties. But probably very deep in the docs it might have had a clause that only a full payment will be applied. Then again when you go online to set up your Bi-monthly payment the system does not inform you that the first half of your payment is held in suspense. I asked the customer service rep at Caliber to file my complaint as I wanted it recorded. I believe a formal complaint to the appropriate State Banking Department and Attorney General is warranted.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

I had a fantastic experience with Caliber and Ron **. I would recommend Caliber to everyone. My representative was at my closing and everything went smoothly. I was kept up-to-date throughout the whole process despite it being a very busy time of year for home purchases.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

Overall, I am pleased to have finally been able to complete the process of rolling my Home equity Loan into my Mortgage Loan. My interactions with both Matthew ** and my Loan Processing Officer, Ashley ** were outstanding! Whenever I had a question or concern they both made sure to address my issues, especially Ashley who I dealt with the most!

Why I did not give a 5 star rating? I became very frustrated with the number of times that I had to provide documentation regarding our income sources to your auditors. Instead of asking for all of the data upfront it took several requests over a one month period. I am sure it is because we are self-funded and other than our social security payments our monthly incomes are generated from our financial assets. I also was disappointed that I felt like I was a new customer versus a customer who was already a Caliber Customer who has an outstanding loan payment record on my primary account with Caliber Home Loans. Ashley did an outstanding job helping me navigate through your Loan Auditors numerous requests! My only other issue which upset me the most was the way my experience with Title 365 initially went down! I heard directly from the Notary who was assigned to process the Closing Documents regarding my closing date.

For some unknown reason the paperwork the Title 365 was to receive was not sent. Instead of hearing from Title 365 regarding this problem, my only contact was with the Notary who was assigned. When the paperwork did finally arrive, I received a call from a different Notary who informed me that she would be completing the process. I later found out that the original Notary had been told by Title 365 that I had requested that she be replaced. A request that I did not make! I to this day never had any interaction directly with anyone from Title 365!

I became very angry regarding how this went down and contacted Ashley who took prompt action to resolve this problem to my complete and total satisfaction. The original Notary who was assigned to complete the paperwork also did an outstanding job and like Ashley, she was customer focused. I understand that Caliber has to contract 3rd party folks to handle the closings but they too represent Caliber Home Loans and they need to be held accountable when they pull stunts like the one Title 365 tried to pull on me!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

From the minute I began the pre-approval process, I knew I was in great hands with Peter ** at Caliber. The entire experience through closing was nothing short of organized, clear and prompt. I highly recommend Caliber, Peter and his amazing team to handle all of your home buying and mortgage needs.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Denise ** was amazing helping me through the home buying process. She made everything very clear and was available at any time I needed her. She really made me comfortable and helped me through my frustrations as we went along. She and I were able to get everything done in 27 days!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Caliber Home Loan is the place to be. Great team, great people. Above and beyond, by far the quickest, easiest and stress-free. Very professional, efficient team. Mason is fabulous, extremely helpful, got us the best rates possible!!! Very happy with our experience. Would highly recommend Caliber Home Loan, Inc.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

My wife and I was very please with the way they handle our loan. The process was easy to understand. I would recommend them to all my friends. Nice and friendly, easy to understand. My agent was good at explaining the process.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I had an excellent experience with Caliber Home Loans. Specifically with Michelle ** and her team. As a first time home buyer I was a little overwhelmed and needed some extra handholding. Michelle and her team explained everything thoroughly and were immensely helpful in getting me just the right mortgage loan. I highly recommend them and should I decide to buy again in the future, I will definitely go back to them.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

We worked with Joseph ** and Verenice ** to secure a mortgage for a home purchase. They were both very diligent in keeping us informed and comfortable throughout the entire process. Their instructions and requests were very clear and timely. The whole process took less than 30 days. Amazing!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Caliber helped finance the purchase of our new house. Kim was very easy to work with, and her team was very responsive when we had questions. We would recommend working with Kim to any of our friends or family should they need a mortgage in the future.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

At Caliber Loans they helped me so much great customer service always available and great communication. Always there for anything any day any time. I had a issue with the first home I wanted to buy and I got all the support I need from my bank and my agents as well. Especially Casey and Ron and Eddie towards the they were very important on this. Thank you very much.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Chris ** and Amanda ** were incredible to work with from start to finish. We met Chris at open house. She and Chris worked together to show us multiple houses, working around our busy work schedules. They answered every question we had about the home buying process, and many questions that we did not even think to ask. They were supportive throughout the offer process and all the way through to closing, then helped us celebrate after we officially were in our new home. Highly recommend them to anyone looking to buy a home in Yakima area.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

We had a very good experience with our first home purchase. David was very patient with us and was always available to answer questions about things I didn't understand. I would recommend Caliber home loans to any veteran who would like to buy in Colorado.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I was extremely satisfied with the service I received from Caliber Loan. My loan officer Jeff **, was very professional and attentive throughout the entire process. His assistant, Kevin ** likewise was very professional and attentive. They kept me informed on each step of the lengthy process. If I had any questions, they were quick to respond and provide a satisfactory answer to my inquires. I got the impression they were genuinely concerned about my interests and they were able to secure the loan in a reasonable time frame as required by the home builder we used. I have nothing but praise for Jeff ** and Kelvin ** of Caliber Loans.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Renato and his team were great to work with and I would recommend them to anyone! They went above and beyond! They answered any and all questions we had and always got back to us in a quick manner. Amazing experience!

Caliber Home Loans expert review by Michele Lerner

This mortgage company was founded with a merger from Caliber Funding and Vericrest Financial. They offer consumers assistance with home loans, home buying and refinancing.

• National support: This company has branches across the United States, so you can get help with your home loan from a local loan consultant who understands the market in your state.

• Range of loan products: They provide a range of loan products available for their customers, including FHA loans, veteran loans, conventional loans and more.

• Resources for homebuyers: This company offers step-by-step guides to help you navigate the processes of prequalifying, financing, paying for insurance and understanding closing costs.

• Send away for more information: Submit a short form on the website to receive free information on their mortgage programs to help you make a decision about buying or refinancing your home.

• Quick and upfront mortgage approvals: Consumers get quick and upfront mortgage approvals, so you will know shortly after applying for a loan whether or not you qualify.

• Fresh Start: The Fresh Start program is designed to help homeowners who have previously experienced a foreclosure, bankruptcy or any other credit setback to get a home loan ranging from $150,000 to $1 million.

• Best for: homebuyers and home builders.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Caliber Home Loans Company Information