2.77/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Caliber Home Loans

Caliber Home Loans, Inc. is a privately held, full service national mortgage lender headquartered in Irving, TX.

The company originates loans through various channels and transaction types, and since its inception, grown its mortgage production volume while growing its servicing portfolio to over $75 billion.

Looking for a mortgage lender?

2646 Caliber Home Loans Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 9, 2019

Charlie from Caliber Home Loans went above and beyond to help me purchase a home. He is an expert with FHA loans. While other loan officers will give you pre-approval letters, at the first sign of an obstacle they will drop you. After I had given the earnest money for a home, a previous loan officer wrote me a email that made me think I had no chance of getting a home. Another loan officer after my contract was accepted by the seller, just stopped returning my phone calls without any explanation, prior to this he was calling me almost every day. The seller's real estate agent had to sent him an email to which he answered he was not able to give me a loan.

When you first decide to purchase a home, you go online and look at different mortgage companies to see how much home you can afford. From there, the loan officers get your number and a large number of different loan officers will start calling you, and promise you a mortgage loan if you pick their company. I found out the hard way that it is easy to get a pre-approval loan but they will drop you if they have to work hard on your case. I was not buying an expensive home, it's just not worth their time. I was trying to get a modest FHA loan. Just be careful because every time they check your credit, your credit score drops and they don't go through with the loan. I was naive, they hand out the pre-approval letters without standing behind their promise.

There was some mistakes on my credit reports that needed to be fixed and Charlie took the time to counsel me on how to fix my credit reports. He was always available to talk on the phone, in the evenings and on the weekends. He will make you feel as if you are his most important client. He doesn't just give up on his clients and he is not afraid of hard work. Thank you Charlie for getting me my home and treating me as if I was buying a million dollars home.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

We had not planned on purchasing a home for several more months, but when a property suddenly became available we decided to move forward and take a leap of faith. The mortgage on my previous house had been sold to Caliber and they had been fantastic, so we decided to apply for the new mortgage through them.

It was only six weeks between getting my preapproval letter and closing. Over the Christmas and New Years holidays, mind you. The entire process was a whirlwind of communication, with my loan officer or her assistant communicating with me daily. Needs and expectations were clearly communicated. The entire thing was a choreographed dance. The faster I submitted the requested documents, the quicker things moved.

Really the only slow down was during underwriting. From purchasing my previous house I suspect that was more a result of the VA rather than the underwriter themselves. My loan officer was still talking to me daily but the underwriting team was a black hole of data. Lots went in, nothing came out. Still, I can't complain. Out of pocket costs at closing were far lower than expected, funding came through on the same day as closing. The family and I are looking forward to the next two weeks of getting moved into our new home. Buying a house is complicated. Having your paperwork lined up before starting makes it a lot easier.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

Overall, I am pleased to have finally been able to complete the process of rolling my Home equity Loan into my Mortgage Loan. My interactions with both Matthew ** and my Loan Processing Officer, Ashley ** were outstanding! Whenever I had a question or concern they both made sure to address my issues, especially Ashley who I dealt with the most!

Why I did not give a 5 star rating? I became very frustrated with the number of times that I had to provide documentation regarding our income sources to your auditors. Instead of asking for all of the data upfront it took several requests over a one month period. I am sure it is because we are self-funded and other than our social security payments our monthly incomes are generated from our financial assets. I also was disappointed that I felt like I was a new customer versus a customer who was already a Caliber Customer who has an outstanding loan payment record on my primary account with Caliber Home Loans. Ashley did an outstanding job helping me navigate through your Loan Auditors numerous requests! My only other issue which upset me the most was the way my experience with Title 365 initially went down! I heard directly from the Notary who was assigned to process the Closing Documents regarding my closing date.

For some unknown reason the paperwork the Title 365 was to receive was not sent. Instead of hearing from Title 365 regarding this problem, my only contact was with the Notary who was assigned. When the paperwork did finally arrive, I received a call from a different Notary who informed me that she would be completing the process. I later found out that the original Notary had been told by Title 365 that I had requested that she be replaced. A request that I did not make! I to this day never had any interaction directly with anyone from Title 365!

I became very angry regarding how this went down and contacted Ashley who took prompt action to resolve this problem to my complete and total satisfaction. The original Notary who was assigned to complete the paperwork also did an outstanding job and like Ashley, she was customer focused. I understand that Caliber has to contract 3rd party folks to handle the closings but they too represent Caliber Home Loans and they need to be held accountable when they pull stunts like the one Title 365 tried to pull on me!

Original review: July 17, 2018

I worked with Ryan ** and Jacob ** as a first time home buyer. They did a lot of the footwork and research on their own accord which made the process go incredibly smooth. Ryan and Jacob showed their commitment to a timely and fast close by answering my phone calls by the second ring or calling me back within a few minutes. Their dedication paid off because we closed within 3 weeks! I feel like they truly care about my home loan and my personal experience.

I never felt pressured to go with Caliber Home Loans, they simply made the best offer. They worked with me to get my cash-to-close within the dollars of what I wanted. Ryan sat on the phone with me multiple times explaining terms and adjusting my loan to fit my needs perfectly. Both Ryan and Jacob answered emails within a timely manner, most of the time within the hour. I would recommend working with Ryan **, Jacob ** and Caliber Home Loans for their professionalism, passion for customer service, and for a superior experience.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I’m a first time home buyer and used USDA Rural Development for my loan. My loan process was average I would say. Caliber did great on their part! Everything went as well as I could expect. I never had an overwhelming feeling or anything. In my opinion the process went as planned. Sometimes it’s the little things in life that really open your eyes.

Just a few months after purchasing my home our 7 year old (now 8) was diagnosed with cancer and was undergoing treatment at St. Jude’s. While at St. Jude’s I noticed a familiar logo. It was the Caliber Home Loans logo on the red wagons that are used for the children there. I’m not an emotional person but that logo made me cry. Something went through my head like “Wow, my home loan company really is a great company”. I know this has nothing to do with the loan process but it has made me a customer for life. Thank you Caliber Home Loans, thank you. Also, my now 8 year old has been cleared of cancer thanks to St Jude’s and their wonderful sponsors like Caliber Home Loans.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Caliber Home Loans?

Original review: June 19, 2019

They somehow were able to send me all my bills yet when I refinanced with someone else for a lower APR they keep giving me BS excuses on sending me the money they owe me from escrow. Say it’s undeliverable but when I talked the the post office and they did an investigation they pretty much stated they are lying and never sent it to me. Been arguing with them since April and it’s now about to be July. I’m ready to take legal action. This is so frustrating.

Original review: June 18, 2019

I have never known a company to be so heartless when it comes to their customers. They do not call you back when you request a call back. If for whatever reason the mail takes almost 3 weeks to get there which I don't know why it should when it take 3 days for mail to go from MD to TX. You can't get anyone to go ask a question, investigate loose mail. The only answer you get is, "When we get it we will post it to your account." They have a machine opening the mail so if you add any other paper in there be ready for a delay and know that no one will try to go to the next office no matter how many feet away it is to ask anyone about anything. I have had nothing but bad communication with this company for over a year and it is sad. Lord forbid I ever be late on a payment. They will blow my phone up, I'm sure.

Original review: June 13, 2019

The company may be good, most service representatives I talked to (a lot of time) was pretty good. BUT I WOULD STAY AWAY FROM THIS MORTGAGE COMPANY. They couldn't get simple payment processing right. I will be refinancing will another company as soon as I get a chance. When I send in extra payments to pay off additional principal, they kept applying the extra principal into the next month's payment. Let's say my monthly payment is $2000, if I send in $4000, they would apply $2000 for the current month, and apply $2000 to the next month's payment!!!! So I tried to send in less than double of the monthly payment, say $3000, they apply $2000 for the current month, and then makes the $1000 as a partial payment for the next month!!! And make a note in the statement that my partial payment is not consider completed and I have to deal with it.

I didn't know about this until after they did this for a number of months. This has caused me so many hours on the phone wasted to have them corrected it. I have to explain again and again how they have screwed up and correct it, that's why I said earlier that I have talked to many of time. Eventually, need to talk to a supervisor, and the manager of the supervisor, and... etc. I have to keep checking all the time to make sure they don't screw up again. I have so many different mortgage company I used before, and never had any problem. Caliber Home Loans is just horrible. I will try to get away from them as soon as I can. They have ancient technology, and stupid computer systems that wastes customers' valuable time. Stay away.

Original review: June 12, 2019

I received a quote (in writing) for terms regarding a re-finance. The electronic documents were sent, by them to me, which I signed and returned. I also made an upfront payment of $199 to start the process, which has yet to be returned. The appraisal was scheduled, by Caliber, and I thought the process was on its way to closing. I subsequently get a call from the agent I was working with telling me that his manager has killed the deal because their profit margin wasn't large enough. Albeit they did offer me a much worse deal. Caliber Home Loans lacks credibility and honesty, by definition they are dishonorable. Don't waste your time and efforts with this company!

Original review: May 21, 2019

We went with Caliber due to their excellent customer service, which I experienced first hand, there was never a problem there. We paid more for a rate vs. the market average so we would have excellent customer service, that was the pitch we were sold, and that they would be our mortgage holder for life. We were told they would never sell our loan. They lied. We have near perfect credit... Our loan was sold within 30 days of the purchase of our home. I would rather have horrible customer service and pay tens of thousands less with another company as my rate would be lower than pay more over 30 years, be lied to, having great customer service for 30-60 days. I would rather use Ditech going forward, and that's saying something.

Original review: May 19, 2019

I gave my mortgage company a 2, because they've made several errors over the past 3 1/2 years that I've been a customer. For example: They calculated my escrow incorrectly, they charged me fees, which I did not incur, and a customer service rep actually hung up on a friend who was trying to help me!

Original review: May 13, 2019

I have not missed a payment. I look at my credit report 10 missed payments. They are one of the worst companies I have deal with. That lie lower my credit score. They bought my mortgage from Beneficial. All these companies will not let you stop paying them. I am sorry that I borrow money from Beneficial. They all are cricket. 2015 was supposed to be my last payment. They sold my mortgage to Caliber Home Loans.

Original review: April 24, 2019

Consumer Affairs, New York State Banking Department, and every channel of news organization should help put this Bank out of commission. And given fines chronically for harassment. April 24, 2019. You're late one day and the phone calls begin each and every day. You receive extra mail from them because of it. Being Late. Even though you pay a late penalty they still become unbearable to many in the New York State area. I have not in my adult life ever witnessed such harassment in my life. If a Mortgage Broker ever refers Caliber to you run the other way. They are a disgrace. They should be sued. I hope they go Bankrupt. They are the worse Bank period. Unbelievable stress they cause for being late 48 hours past the due date. A real Horror for any human to put up with! CONSUMER AFFAIRS ZERO TOLERANCE-CALIBER SHOULD BE FINED A BILLION DOLLARS!

Original review: April 23, 2019

What a HORRIBLE company. DO NOT GET A LOAN WITH THEM. THEY TRASHED OUR CREDIT RATING. They changed our monthly payment and did not inform us, then penalized us when we continued to make our payments every month as agreed. It should be illegal for a mortgage company to up the rate without having confirmation from the customer. In this case, they began to erroneously credit our monthly mortgage payments to "principal only", to mark our account as delinquent, and reported us to the credit bureaus as "delinquent" all the while we were making our monthly payment as agreed as we had for years. Now they are saying they cannot correct the incorrect crediting of our payment. This is horrific.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Christian ** at Caliber Home Loans understands "Customer Service". He made a complicated application and approval process seem simple, AND he's a great guy to boot!! I am not about writing a bogus review. We just closed our home loan and purchase today in Dallas. Do yourself a favor and call Christian first. It will save you a lot of money and headaches in a restrictive government regulatory environment leftover from the lax lending practices of the 2008 recession. You most likely will not find a better choice among residential lenders! We will use Christian ** again as well as refer him to our family and friends! On a scale on 1-10, yes he is a 10! Stuart & Marilynn

Original review: April 7, 2019

They have a long wait on phone for personal service and seem only to be recruiting new loans. They post checks 25 days after mailing and when you call to find out and stop payment - thinking the check was lost - they find it and cash it. Right hand doesn't know what left hand is doing. Nonbank lender.

Original review: March 19, 2019

DO NOT USE CALIBER HOME LOANS!!! I have had the worst experience with them! Their rates are high but the worst part is dealing with them in regards to an insurance claim. So, the second week I moved into my house, we had a major issue. Geico Home Insurance was great to work with and mailed a check immediately! However, because the amount was so high, they made the check out to myself and Caliber Home Loans. I have had the repairs completed for months. Caliber is being beyond ridiculous with their nitpicky process and paperwork. They are hoarding my insurance money!!

I have already paid for all of the work to be done (thankfully I had the money because if I had put it on a credit card, this would be a lot worse). Not to mention, it takes forever to speak to anyone on the phone. Terrible customer service. I can't tell you how many times those ignorant customer service reps have hung up on me. In addition, they are rude and not helpful. You get a different response every time you call. Just plain awful! Do not use Caliber Home Loans! It will be the worst experience of your life!!!

Original review: March 17, 2019

I was referred to Caliber Home Loans due to the low amount I was financing for an investment property. I completed my application accurately. When I received the Docusign document it was full of inaccuracies. I explained this to Nick ** of the Bethlehem office who told me that I needed to sign it or we would have to start all over again, although I explained that this could be construed as mortgage fraud. Then unbeknownst to my realtor, I received another document to sign that changed my 3% seller assist to a 2% seller assist with no communication whatsoever. My realtor had no idea where it came from.

When I contacted Nick **, he told me that they had never done a 3% seller assist and it could not be done. This was slipped in with no communication or conversation and was ultimately causing me to lose close to $1,000 on this deal. He merely told me that I would have to contact my realtor and do a new agreement of sale. I asked why he did not contact me to discuss. He had no answer. Furthermore, My HUD settlement statement $ to close was changed three times in differing amounts varying up to $3,500 without explanation.

Then finally, I paid for the appraisal and a mere one business day later, I was told that the loan could not close due to the owner/tenant ratio as an investment property. I immediately told him to cancel the appraisal and confirm. He did not, he did not communicate, completely ignored me and allowed the appraisal to continue without even attempting to cancel. Initially comes across as very customer friendly and then unresponsive and rude. I am employed by an organization that employs over 10,000 employees. I will be certain to tell anyone not to even consider this company.

Original review: March 16, 2019

Caliber bought one of my home loans. I had noticed they didn't cash my payment. I tried to call but it is nearly impossible to talk to anyone! I emailed but first you get a auto response saying it will be 5 days until they get back to you. In actuality they never get back to you! So I tried numerous times again to call after almost 30 minutes on the phone before speaking to anyone. I explained my situation and was told there is nothing they can do. My check was there but not completely ran through their system for over a week!!! I haven't ever ever had a late payment! Basically I was told, "So sorry. Nothing we can do!" I will never ever do business with Caliber again!!!

Original review: March 9, 2019

The home loan went through nice and fast 2 years ago. BUT,- every year by March they take my payments $800 more. WTF is this?!! After figuring out myself the first time they did was the problem with home insurance. Which I paid and they paid. So NEVER PAY on your own and let the mortgage company take care even if Geico keep calling you. They told me it’s $800 more for 12 months. That’s is $9,800 more than ever. My wife almost fainted... I try to explain to operator on the phone it. That’s was a dead end... She could not comprehend this...as they are momos bunch of dumb ** who can only read what’s on the screen. This is still ongoing situation and I’m not gonna pay the $800 extra. My taxes went up $34 more. That’s that and not $800 more a month.

Original review: March 9, 2019

Load process was delayed because of them being late getting me documents. Thought about switching mortgage companies then, but had already taken a hard hit on my credit. Finally get the mortgage signed, and receive the paper bill for my first payment. Went online, set up auto pay. Received a scheduled payment confirmation, then an actual payment confirmation than a "thank you for your payment" email. Then the payment was reversed four days later. Didn't get an email, phone call, message or warning of any type. Found out by investigating why the payment hadn't been taken out of my account.

First person I spoke to told me the account number was wrong. It wasn't. Next person I spoke to told me there was insufficient funds in the account, and the check was returned. Not true. And they're trying to charge me an additional processing fee. Already reaching out to other mortgage lending companies to refinance. I'll gladly take the hit over dealing with Caliber.

Original review: March 4, 2019

Was okay till now, they totally ** my escrow calculation. My mortgage payment is going up 30% because of a supposed shortage. I can’t wait to refinance with someone else. Go elsewhere, these guys suck.

Original review: March 3, 2019

As a new homeowner I had questions, when I tried calling, I either could not get someone real or I would get someone unempathetic on the phone. It was always so hard to communicate with them, not to mention their website is just as unhelpful.

Original review: March 1, 2019

We have always liked being with Caliber Home Loans but since Nov. 18th, 2018 I question if I would every recommend them ever again to anyone. We had an insurance claim for some damage to our home for almost $71,000.00. It took us 3 months to get some of the money to pay off the plumber and now we have been waiting for 5 months to get money from them for the contractor. The money was being held by them and we needed to take draws off of it. Every time we call which is often we are on the phone for about 30-45 minutes each time and the story changes every time. They tell us a check will be coming overnight and then the next day we need something else. I question if they even know what they are doing. I am tired of them saying, "I am sorry the other person told you wrong."

Don't use them...

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

This is pure PMI and escrow fraud. We paid for a BPO estimate that said our house dropped over 10% - ya right! This is just blatant fraud. Also they increased the escrow AND never paid for flood insurance - another case of fraud. Guess these mortgage companies aren't making enough off the interest so they've turned to escrow fraud. Just keep in mind CALIBER HOME LOANS is the new Wells Fargo, you'll hear about in the media in a few years.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

We have been with Caliber for 2 years. They are less than helpful. I have never had challenges with home loans, you pay on time no problem. Well that is not the case. For the past two years, the escrow amount continues to climbs, you pay yet there is still a shortage. Call about removing PMI and they want to refinance the house, asked for customer service, they want to send an appraiser out and have you pay for it. I can't wait to be able to move on and I am so disappointed.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

When we refinanced with Caliber in early 2016, our title company miscalculated our insurance and property taxes. We refinanced to a rate of 3.375 from 3.575 APR for a savings of roughly $350 per month on our payment. However, we received a letter from Caliber in early 2017 that our mortgage was going up $900 per month to cover the depleted escrow. Now that we are caught up (2018) our payment went back down but is just over $100 more than it was before we refinanced and over $450 more than our refi payment. So we paid 8.5k to refinance to a lower rate and pay $100 more per month.

After the higher payment took effect to pay back the escrow, I was inundated with multiple phone calls (at minimum 10) from Caliber asking if I wanted to refinance, which I repeatedly declined because we refinanced with them in early 2016. I explained the situation to a customer service agent who called from Caliber. She offered to help me figure out why we had the difference in payment, put me on hold, pulled a hard inquiry on my credit, and got back on the line offering me a refi! After I had lamented to her about all the refi calls and how we don't want to refinance. Now that's still on my report almost 2 years later. I don't feel like there's any course of action on this, just wish we never refinanced in the first place!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

The process of receiving our loan through Caliber was originally seamless. We were excited to work with what we thought was a great company. Now I want to move just so I can use a different mortgage company. First there was the check we sent them, since their online pay through their phone app is like something out of the early 2000s. Money was never taken out and received a late fee saying they never received it. Then there was the autopay. After the check fiasco I went on their website and set up autopay. Mind you I have autopay set up on almost everything of mine with absolutely no problems. The first of the month went by and the money wasn’t taken out. A few days later I called them and was told they were having a problem with Chase bank and not to worry, they’ll be taking the money out shortly. Another week goes by and I get a letter in the mail saying I provided false information and was going to receive a late fine.

After A LOT of arguing on the phone, I finally paid my mortgage. Then a week after that I received a $20 ‘convenience fee.’ I have reached a breaking point with this company. I tell everyone I know who’s in the house buying process to NOT set up a loan with this company. They make it difficult for you to pay your mortgage so they can try to charge you late fees. DO NOT USE CALIBER LOANS! Like I said, we are looking to buy an entirely new house so we can go through Rocket Mortgage like our friends did. TERRIBLE company!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I'm giving Caliber a 3-star review ONLY because I haven't had to actually interact with their customer service. Although, after reading reviews from others, I sure hope I never have to contact their customer service. Caliber bought the loan from the company I originally purchased my house from. It was a seamless transition and I had no problems creating my online account.

Everything was great until they changed their payment policy where they now nickel and dime customers just to make their monthly payment. As a customer, you have 3 options. 1. Pay by debit card, then be charged an $8 processing fee. 2. Pay from your bank account, then be charged a $3.50 processing fee. 3. Set up a recurring payment with no processing fee.

The catch? You can set up your regular monthly mortgage payment along with the additional principal if you so choose. However, you cannot add additional funds to your escrow account. Instead, you have to select option 1 or 2 and still be charged the $8 or $3.50 processing fee when adding additional funds to your escrow balance.

I read a review where someone had an inquiry involving their escrow and they didn't get their issue resolved. I have been keeping track to make sure we maintain a positive escrow balance which is why I've continued to make the extra escrow payment on a monthly basis. Somehow the math done at Caliber was going to increase my monthly payment to cover the escrow expenses. I added additional funds to cover the negative balance and have monitored the ongoing balance since.

That being said, it has cost me $21 to make my monthly payments since they implemented their processing fee. It will cost another $42 in fees this year simply to make sure my mortgage is paid and my escrow account stays in the positive. It's not that I can't afford the fee that I'm angry about. It's the fact that as a customer, I am being charged to make good on my loan even though they're the ones who inconvenience their customers by imposing processing fees.

I'm half determined to mail in paper checks, but the concern with doing so is there will likely be more headache as that would require an employee to input the appropriate data to ensure funds are distributed appropriately between the mortgage, additional principal, and escrow account. Based on other reviews, I'm not confident in their capabilities.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I have been contacting them for months, promises of calls back, none received. I tried online submission thinking I may get a response that way, nope same auto message every time. "Thank you for contacting Caliber Home Loans, Inc. We received your inquiry on 1/22/2019, and wanted to confirm that we’re working on your request. If a reply is necessary, we will respond to your message within 5 business days of the day we received it. Please do not reply to this email address, as it is not set up to accept incoming mail. If you need immediate assistance, feel free to contact us at 1-800-401-6587 between the hours of 8:00 am and 7:00 pm (CST)."

They can call daily (multiple times a day) to refinance but will not answer simple questions about payments, escrow, or taxes. They also put into place a fee to make a payment by any means other than them taking it directly from your bank account. No notice received before that change. I guess I can say I am thankful they just sold my account to a servicing agent, which by the way they never told me about and are still sending me messages to pay a bill. End date with Caliber 1/31/19, payment due 2/1/19, no way Caliber. Still waiting for them to notify me, wishful thinking I guess.

Caliber Home Loans expert review by Michele Lerner

This mortgage company was founded with a merger from Caliber Funding and Vericrest Financial. They offer consumers assistance with home loans, home buying and refinancing.

• National support: This company has branches across the United States, so you can get help with your home loan from a local loan consultant who understands the market in your state.

• Range of loan products: They provide a range of loan products available for their customers, including FHA loans, veteran loans, conventional loans and more.

• Resources for homebuyers: This company offers step-by-step guides to help you navigate the processes of prequalifying, financing, paying for insurance and understanding closing costs.

• Send away for more information: Submit a short form on the website to receive free information on their mortgage programs to help you make a decision about buying or refinancing your home.

• Quick and upfront mortgage approvals: Consumers get quick and upfront mortgage approvals, so you will know shortly after applying for a loan whether or not you qualify.

• Fresh Start: The Fresh Start program is designed to help homeowners who have previously experienced a foreclosure, bankruptcy or any other credit setback to get a home loan ranging from $150,000 to $1 million.

• Best for: homebuyers and home builders.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
      Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Caliber Home Loans Company Information