4.70/5
  • 1 star
Based on 782 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Caliber Home Loans, Inc. is a privately held, full service national mortgage lender headquartered in Irving, TX.

The company originates loans through various channels and transaction types, and since its inception, grown its mortgage production volume while growing its servicing portfolio to over $75 billion.

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 9, 2017

2137 Caliber Home Loans Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

Kathy and DeeDee were so helpful and explained everything step by step. This is my first home. I was no nervous but they made everything easy. Thank you so much, they were there also for all my question and I have lots of them. Even after we closed they called and made sure I was good.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

I am grateful for the experienced, professional help for a first-time home buyers that my wife and I received. All of our questions were thoughtfully answered within a reasonable time. I felt very confident that they found us the financing at a low rate that catered to our family's needs.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

As a first-time home buyer, working with Caliber was easy and straightforward. The team answered all of my questions, communicated clearly, and worked hard to close my loan on schedule! It was a pleasure to work with people who displayed such a high degree of professionalism while also remaining friendly and personable every step of the way.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I had the pleasure of experiencing Caliber Home Loans. From my loan Officer; Cheryl ** to the closing; Caliber and its representatives treated with respect and professionalism. They made the process worry free for me. At every stage I was contacted by Cheryl, and kept up to date.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

When I reviewed the other experiences, I had to laugh. Sure every mortgage company is helpful and respectful. That is the way it started for me. After one year of my payments on time, my homeowner's insurance company canceled on me. Caliber didn't pay my insurance and they forced their own homeowner's insurance on me which raised my mortgage by $210.00 per month. When I inquired about this situation they told me that Caliber didn't accurately calculate my homeowner's insurance on my mortgage note. That is when the nightmare began. Please beware.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Caliber Home Loans?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

I closed my loan about 3 weeks ago. I have recommended Caliber to a close friend beginning the loan process. I found David ** to be particularly knowledgeable and patient. Because of complications with the first contract, we had to cancel and begin a second time about 3 months later. David was very gracious even though this meant extra work for him. We closed on time and without a glitch.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Josh and his assistant were very attentive to my wife and my needs. Josh explained in detail the process of finalizing our loan from application to completion. Both Josh and his assistant were very timely with their responses to any questions we had. Both by phone and e-mail. We also experienced a great deal of patience in the face of our impatience and the stupid repeat questions we often asked. All in all a wonderful experience. I would certainly recommend Josh and assistant to anybody.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Everything from the initial meeting with Matt and his team down the day of closing, Caliber was on top of everything! Matt and his team came up with the perfect lending scenario for my situation which allowed me to buy the house I really wanted. Each step of the way Caliber was in contact with me letting me know how things were going. It came down to the final hours before closing, Caliber pulled it off! I can't think of any other lender who could do such a thing in the time required! Highly recommended.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Caliber was great in ascertaining the needs of my wife and I an working to ensure we got the home of our dreams. They were clear in communications about what they needed from us and were prompt to respond when we had questions. They went over all the loan options we had and patient while we made decisions. I would highly recommend Jill and her team (Cassie and Caitlyn) at Caliber.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

Melissa ** does wonders. I have my full confidence in her, Not only did she work her magic to get me into the house I am in. She also did her magic to get me refinanced to get my payments lower. She is the best and have recommended her to many of my friends and family. She is the best.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

Mr. ** made sure I got the best deal, after switching lenders I thought it was going to be a nightmare but he even found a bond to help with closing cost and we had funds left to get many needed things. Ivan is the best man to go to. Thank Ivan.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

Brian, Jeffery and Stephanie at the Chattanooga Caliber branch were great! Fast, efficient and there for whatever I needed and ready to answer all questions. They helped set up an appraisal and a pest inspector and in the end, got me as good a deal as I could have asked for.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

Our entire experience with Caliber Home Loans has been fantastic from start to finish. They were always helpful and willing to answer any questions we had, not to mention making the whole process smooth and stress free. I highly recommend them to anyone interested in purchasing a home, you will not be disappointed. Ask for Scott **, he was the best!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

I can only say that Shalise ** is the best loan officer for financing a home. She understands all aspects of obtaining a loan to include understanding the circumstances of a borrower and making it happen. We will refer others to her to obtain a home loan.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

It was a great experience as a first time home buyer. Jodi ** was a beast at making sure everything was possible. She was great at listening and understanding my concerns and hopes, and made sure things happened. Whereas with other people I have worked with in the past, everyone would deny my offers. With Jodi, I did not run into that issue.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

Professionalism, courtesy, and immediate response to execute my refinance (when dealing with all members of Caliber). I am very pleased! I felt that I could trust all of the Caliber personnel that handled my refinance. Thank you for your excellent service!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

I worked with Doug ** and his team who are all great. After we discussed my financial situation/capabilities, he indicated that we could potentially close in a 30 day period. The entire process went quickly and the only serious delays were due to title company issues or the out of state sellers. I can easily recommend Caliber to other buyers due to your excellent customer service attitude.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

This was my first home buying experience and I can honestly say that Siam ** and the team at Caliber made it a smooth process. She kept me informed of what was going on and the next steps along with answering all of my never ending questions! I could not have imagined this being a better process. I am extremely happy in my new home and thankful for their partnership in the process.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

Dealing with the mortgage process is arduous and demanding and generally unpleasant. However, Caliber is there to back you up every step of the way to help you through the process with friendly supportive people who advocate for you and help you navigate the bureaucracy of the mortgage application process. I highly recommend them because the only way to buy a house that is less stressful is to be independently wealthy and able to write a $200,000 check and buy the house with your own savings. Unless you fall into that category, Caliber is your best option.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

We were not aware of the total amount of personal information that you have to provide in order to get a loan after 2007. Mike ** helped us a lot by showing how to get this information from the Internet. We really could not have done it without Mike and access to the Internet. It allowed escrow to close on time.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

John ** and team in Peoria IL were extremely professional, accessible and very responsive whenever we had questions and made our home purchase easy and a pleasant experience. They truly went above and beyond with their customer service. Highly recommend Caliber and would definitely use them again.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

Thank you Julie and Juls for such a positive and memorable home-buying experience! We couldn't have been more fortunate to have such an attentive and knowledgeable team in such a quick and crazy market. Any question we had, no matter how simple, you answered in a way that allowed us to learn too. And after having a few lenders not responding in the time we needed, there's no one else we'd recommend! So thank you!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Hey there, first time house buyer and finding out that my paperwork was wrong and had to be corrected at least twice. Normally, this wouldn't be too difficult for me to go to correct with the exception of the fact that I work 12+hours daily and recently got internet to where I could actually use my computer to help make corrections. I'm a first time house buyer and didn't know what to expect. My experience was wonderful up until I found out that there were more corrections to be make to the contract after I have already moved in.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

Overall a great team to work with. Provided more information than needed initially, but as I became more educated on the process appreciated it as I could look back at prior notes and quotes with better understanding. Brad and his team were great to work with, usually very prompt, appeared to have my interests prioritized. About mid-way through the loan process I was referred by a colleague to another agency that had (marginally) lower fees at closing and competitive rates. However, the slightly higher fees at Caliber were worth the attention, friendliness, and the sense that they went out of their way to answer whatever questions or demands that I had.

The verification of assets was cumbersome and difficult -- this could have been more clear. Describing the complexity, requirements, and reason for necessity earlier on would have prevented a lot of frustration and delays. Also, wire transfer delays (really due to the bank and title company) pushed the closing back from being a day early to a day late. Forewarning about method of payment would have been helpful (though I was more rigid about this due to the apparently strict verification of assets portions).

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

During the application process I was guided through the many pitfalls and forms required. Explanations were given for each and every step to ensure I made informed decisions. Some lenders do not finance modulars but Caliber did. If you have the privilege of working with Mitzi ** you will have no worries!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I was very satisfied with the help I received, everything went more smooth than l ever imagined. Caliber was on top of everything from the beginning to the end, I would recommend them to anyone!! They helped us find our dream home. The whole team was very helpful and friendly.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

They purchased my loan from another lender. No problems. They actually LOWERED my rate earlier this year which lowered my payments! I have only called once and got very good service.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Our home was damaged during hurricane Irma on 9-11-17. We had a 70’ tree fall on our house. Apparently, our claim amount was just above the threshold for requiring what is referred to as a “monitored claim”. This means that the insurance company will hold and release money to ensure everything is repaired in accordance with our insurance adjusters report. It seems simple enough and I actually agree with the process, but, then comes the Caliber Home Loan’s Insurance Claims Department. This department has become nothing less than a complete nightmare.

To clarify my perspective, if I could go back in time and only had the choice to use Caliber for my mortgage, I would rent instead. I have been given at least 5 different stories as to what the process is or will be. When I was told by one rep something that was in conflict with the paperwork I received, I was told that I should follow the paperwork instructions 100%. When the paperwork did not reflect the actual process, I was told that the paperwork needed to be reviewed. When one person told me one thing, the next person told me something else. I have gotten a complete run around from these people. In some cases, I was given two different processes by the same person on the same call! Other than the first check paying for the removal of a tree, I only received additional insurance funds 2 months and 2 days after the incident. Here are only a few of the specific issues I had with the process.

The contractor’s contract was signed by us (the homeowner) and the insurance claims department declined it saying that it would only be accepted once the contractor signed it too. “No Problem”, so I had that taken care of. THEN, they declined it again saying it needed to have the contractor’s address on it. Okay, why didn’t they tell me that the 1st time they declined it? One of the many reasons for delay. According to the claims department, I would receive 50% of the full claim amount or $40,000 to get things moving. My claim amount is just over $38,000. Did I receive all of it, half of it??? NOPE! $14,700 sure doesn’t sound like half or 40k to me.

They have this fancy website to help organize things, I send them the insurance check so that they could deposit it along with a prepaid mailer “per their recommendation” so that it would be returned quicker. They listed it as received on their fancy site later than the tracked receipt, was the check received the same date? It would seem so being as it was sent in the same envelope but NOPE! Their fancy system says the check was received several days after the prepaid mailer that was in the same envelope. What was the impact? MORE DELAY! Did they use the prepaid mailer that I paid for and sent per the recommendation of the “Claims Department”, to help ensure that the draw check was returned to our family quickly? NOPE! Regular Mail! Another Delay!

I’ve been guided several different ways from reps at the insurance claims department of Caliber Home Loans. So much that I requested to review the phone recordings from my conversation with that department so that they would see how their department was creating unneeded delay, confusion and frustration. Can you guess what they told me? They said I would need a court order! So much for their legal disclaimer when you call “This call may be monitored for quality assurance.” Yeah, I don't think so!

When a disaster hits your home it changes your life, disrupts your ability to spend time with your children and adversely impacts your ability to just get things done. My 10 year old son has stayed with his grandparents for over a month due to the back and forth from a rental location and the mess of our home, he has failed his first test due to not being able to spend time with me and his mother to help him study and we have been able to spend less than 20% of our normal amount of time with him as a result of everything going on with our home (And he's still there).

A disaster in your life is enough, having to deal with people like those who run the Insurance Claim’s department for Caliber Home Loans is just too much, too stressful. We’ve learned this lesson. If you care about the well-being of your family, I would think twice about doing business with Caliber Home Loans. I know it sounds cliché to say it but this has been the worst experience with any company I’ve ever dealt with, others have given the run around before but never so much or with such a stressful situation.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

We worked with Jay **. He was very knowledgeable. Jay was able to explain the steps needed to close on our home. Everyone was respectful and extremely helpful. The company itself was able to give us loan when we were having problems with a bank. The whole process was streamlined and quick. I would highly recommend it.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Richard ** was awesome to work with. Cyndy ** finished my loan process and was great to work with. I would recommend Caliber Loans to anyone. They work with you and give you all the options you need and make them understandable. No complaints whatsoever.

Caliber Home Loans Company Information