2. Mortgages
Accredited Partner

Caliber Home Loans

Caliber Home Loans
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.36/5

Caliber Home Loans, Inc. is a privately held, full-service national mortgage lender headquartered in Coppell, TX.

The company originates loans through various channels and transaction types, and since its inception, has grown its mortgage production volume while growing its servicing portfolio to over $145 billion.

View More View More

Caliber Home Loans Reviews

Original review: May 12, 2020

I don’t know where to start! But I give 10 stars to Chris **, Lisa ** for helping me through the process. It was well worth the stress and they kept me motivated through the process of helping me close on my home. I salute them for working as a team to make this a successful home buying experience for me. I couldn’t of been happier and more excited to hear Lisa say, "You are clear to close". That was the happiest day of 2020 for me. Even Holly she was great in helping me and the whole team. I truly thank you from the heart. Claire ** my realtor was awesome. They all worked hard with me and for me and I truly appreciate you all and thank you so so much. May God bless you all!!! Caliber Home Loans is the way to go to get a excellent job done!!!

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2020

We completed a re-financing with Caliber in late December. We were extremely satisfied with the entire experience but particularly with two aspects. First, we received a preliminary approval within hours of our application, immediately following on-line submission of our proof-of-income (W-2's and 1099R's) documentation.

Second, the entire documentation requirement was amazingly simple encompassing the income forms (not IRS returns), property tax as well as insurance information on our property. Both of these aspects stood in direct contrast to the original financing we did in August of 2015 with SunTrust. Besides the bureaucratic and timely process we then encountered, the extent of required documentation was all-but overwhelming, I am extremely organized and maintain electronic versions of every document that was required which probably totaled were in excess of two dozen items. Caliber was previously our mortgage company on another property and our recent experience was consistent with that financing. In short, we are highly satisfied clients and extremely pleased with our entire re-financing experience with Caliber!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

Were it not for Marco **, our loan officer, I highly doubt that we would have been able to buy the quality home that we did. Less likely would have been the successful refinance of our mortgage that fortunately due to the ability of Marco and his team we were able to get a better interest rate, and significantly reduce our monthly mortgage payment.

I would do business with Caliber again, but I will definitely do business with Mr. ** again. His personal attention and painstaking efforts made it possible for a humble family to rise from the daunting renter’s world and finally have a place to call our own. While I realize there are many working parts to a successful lending organization like Caliber, it’s the loan officer who forges ahead to get things done. Marco ** is a credit to any institution with whom he chooses to affiliate. Kind Regards, Samuel **.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

I can not say enough great things about this company and their employee, Wayne **! Being a first time home buyer, I didn't know anything about the process, what was going to happen, or what to expect. Wayne made it so comfortable and non stressful. He was HONEST, and advised me what to expect - step by step from the VERY beginning of the home buying process to the VERY end of the process. Wayne was very patient with me, along with his whole team involved. Wayne and his team advised me what I needed to do and what was their part to get me thru the home buying process. I will be forever grateful! If you want honesty, integrity, and professionalism please go see Wayne at this company!! HUGE thanks to Wayne and his team!!!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

Good Morning, My husband, Michael and I, had the pleasure of working with Shannon & Tiffany, at the Vero Beach office. We were nervous first time home buyers. Shannon with Caliber was recommended to me by a Realtor. I was hesitant to contact her at first since I was treated badly at the beginning of the year by a different loan officer at a different loan company. I decided to contact Shannon and "pour my heart out" and provide all of our information. Lucky for us, Shannon replied and our adventure began!

Shannon and Tiffany communicated with us on what we needed to provide and also assisted us when we were not sure of how to find certain information. Being Italian and able to talk (and type) a lot, long story short: We were able to place an offer on a home I was in love with since February 2019; the offer went to accepted; then all the in betweens went beautifully; and...we closed on the home, November 14th! It was a journey but one that I would definitely take again as long as we can have our Dynamic Duo! Shannon isn't only beautiful on the outside but also on the inside, from her head to her toes. :) Thank you so much for everything! Merry Christmas!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Caliber Home Loans Inc.?

Original review: May 23, 2020

I originally refinanced my mortgage with FIRST SAVINGS BANK. They immediately sold it to Caliber Home Loans, Inc. but sent the incorrect paperwork. The escrow charged by Caliber for property tax was too high. I immediately began trying to contact them to correct this since early February, first by their website, then numerous times by telephone with no results. I was finally able to get a name and telephone number from my contact at First Savings Bank. He was very courteous and over numerous phone calls explained the problem and told me what was wrong. I provided the correct information and eventually Caliber changed the escrow to include NO property tax. I called my contact in early April and emailed a copy of my last year property tax forms. As of today the error is still there and I have received no personal contact back since early April. It appears to me that Caliber does not have a functional Customer Service department.

Original review: May 22, 2020

To start by explaining me. I am a retired military vet. I have an outstanding credit score of well over 800. I make very good money which is over $1500 a week after taxes. I work for the largest company in the world in my field and have been here 10 years with no chance of ever slowing down because everyone needs us.

Ok since I gave you a bit of information about me let me explain. I came to Caliber after I had applied with another company and worked with them for about 100 days and in the end they told me that my job was unstable so they could not approve my loan. I was introduced to caliber by my realtor. Which was great because I was in a crunch to purchase me home since it took so long with Veterans United. After I contacted veterans united and told them to fax my file to caliber. afterwards it took 3 days and I was ready to close on my house.

I was told my interest rate was 3.5%. When I arrived to close I noticed the rate was 4.62%. When I said something I was told it had went up 2 days ago. Now mind you no one mentioned anything about this to me and in fact did not even tell me the day I arrived to close. I found this. I was in crunch so I signed it because I was thankful that they approved me so quickly. I felt I had a loyalty to caliber for helping me out getting my home.

2 years later I heard interest rates had dropped to an all time low. So I Contacted my loan agent Carl ** and he informed me it had dropped .02% so mine would be 4.6% and would not make a difference. I contacted my bank and they worked the numbers and my payment would only drop $6 so it was not worth the additional fees I would pay. I waited 6 months and called Carl again and was informed there was no change and he would let me know if there was. I called my military bank again the same day and was told I could get my interest rate to drop to 2.5% which would save me close to $300 a month in payment.

I called Carl back to give him this information to see if they would work with me on this. He told me flat out NO. He would let me know when they could drop my rate. I hung up and started my refi with my bank. They ran my credit and had me approved in 20 mins. They also requested a payoff from caliber the very same day.

Once they requested the payoff everything went downhill with caliber. They charged me $5 a page that they faxed to the bank. (I have 3 bank accounts with 3 different banks) I asked them all if they charge for a payoff request and none of them do. 3 days and 5 days later I noticed they had charged me again for a payoff requested. I called them and asked who requested it. They gave me 2 names from the request. I called to complain and was told they had no one by those names working for them. So Caliber charged me just because. A month later they requested another payoff just to finish my file which I knew about.

My app stopped working where I couldn't check my payments or anything else. I felt caliber lied to me about interest rates to make as much money off of me as possible. WHEN I checked with the other banks they could all also drop interest rates much lower than what caliber was charging me. They didn't even try to work with me. Then when my new bank went to pay off my account caliber tacked on more charges and interest close to $1800 more. They all of a sudden did not pay my yearly insurance payment and tried to put their own insurance on my house. When my insurance company sent them a notice stating I always had insurance. By the way the insurance is USAA.

Then I was told that I would be charged for the days from when they say my insurance lapsed until my company notified them. At which time I got tired of messing with them. I told them if they bill me I would contact my attorney. Only then did they say they would do me a favor and not bill me for the days they carried me. Which they never did carry my. When I asked when I would get my escrow money back that they were collecting from my payment. I was told they have to send it after 21 days once the loan was paid off but may not get to me before 60 or 90 days. When I asked my other banks they all said I should have money back within 28 days at the latest. But we will see. I have a feeling caliber is going to hold my money as long as possible. As a punishment for leaving them after I gave them plenty of chances to work with me.

Original review: May 19, 2020

One of the worse Loan companies out there. Do not fall in their trap. A quick pre-approval and after that three months later, here I am reaching them every day to know the status of my loan application and there is no response to emails or phone calls. All I reach is voicemails and I have to escalate every single time to get a hold of someone. I wish I hadn't wasted so much time with them. My original loan was transferred to them via my bank and I just wish they hadn't. What a shame and they are playing with people's lives.

Original review: May 16, 2020

Adam ** is by far the best mortgage rep I have worked with and I will continue to work with him and continue to refer him to all friends and family. He just gets the job done. No need to go elsewhere.

Original review: May 15, 2020

After 12 months on a home loan with Caliber, they sent me a notice that my payment would increase by almost $1000/month. My research revealed that the tax department had added two additional lots to the mortgage since they were all in my name. The other lots had different legal descriptions and were not on the mortgage. Caliber's tax department had decided to include them contrary to the mortgage contract. These added lots, were finally removed after Caliber 'did their own research'. The people are polite, but no one would admit why they had added properties not on the loan or how their policies would allow this action.

Caliber Home Loans Inc. author review by Michele Lerner

This mortgage company was founded with a merger from Caliber Funding and Vericrest Financial. They offer consumers assistance with home loans, home buying and refinancing.

• National support: This company has branches across the United States, so you can get help with your home loan from a local loan consultant who understands the market in your state.

• Range of loan products: They provide a range of loan products available for their customers, including FHA loans, veteran loans, conventional loans and more.

• Resources for homebuyers: This company offers step-by-step guides to help you navigate the processes of prequalifying, financing, paying for insurance and understanding closing costs.

• Send away for more information: Submit a short form on the website to receive free information on their mortgage programs to help you make a decision about buying or refinancing your home.

• Quick and upfront mortgage approvals: Consumers get quick and upfront mortgage approvals, so you will know shortly after applying for a loan whether or not you qualify.

• Fresh Start: The Fresh Start program is designed to help homeowners who have previously experienced a foreclosure, bankruptcy or any other credit setback to get a home loan ranging from $150,000 to $1 million.

by Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Caliber Home Loans Company Information