Caliber Home Loans

Author picture
Written by
Author picture
Edited by

What do you prioritize most?

About Caliber Home Loans

Caliber Home Loans (NMLS #15622) is a full-service mortgage lender that offers a comprehensive loan process from application to closing either online or in person. The company promises innovative technology, expert loan consultants and a loan processing period as short as 10 days. With services available in all 50 states, Caliber Home Loans has products for all types of buyers. The company was founded in 2008.

Pros & Cons

Pros
    • Quick process from application to closing
    • Branches in most states
    • Offers free financial education resources
    • Low-down-payment programs
    Cons
    • Loan rates and fees not available online
    • No home equity loans

Caliber Home Loans Reviews

Stars Rating

• 3%
    • 0%
    • 0%
    • 3%
    • 94%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Caliber Home Loans Inc.?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Caliber Home Loans Inc.?

Reviewed July 6, 2022

My experience with this company was a nightmare. This company hired some stupid idiots that don't care at all for your needs. Ask for stupid things on the last minute before closing (believe me. Real stupid things. The Broker worked with me has 30 years experience and never had business with caliber before and said they are a bunch of dummies don't know what they are doing). Stay away from this people. Their only desire is make any business and they will sell your mortgage before you sign the closing. They are there just to make your life miserable, stressful and they only want make money on you doing nothing and putting no money at all. They will sell to you for "x" and right before closing they will sale it for "y". They are not a bank. Don't pay more . Look for a real bank to make your loan. DON'T RECOMMEND AT ALL... I DON'T RECOMMEND THIS ** NOT EVEN FOR MY ENEMIES... NO CALIBER!!! GET OUT CALIBER!!!

Customer ServiceTransparency

Reviewed June 4, 2022

I don't recommend this company at all. Period. Horrible customer service. They never speak clear. They pay attention to your case only if you are a good deal for them. At least that was what I felt, otherwise they just don't care about your situation. Only when I called pushing they moved some fingers, but not for long, only to make you feel they are doing something. If they reply to this comment then I will tell my story, making it more understandable, of course. PS: If there would be 0 star that would be my rating.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed May 18, 2022

Back in January of 2022 the processing department incorrectly over-charged me ~$1,500 for a shortage in my escrow account; however, they then realized that this was a mistake and "mailed me a check" for a refund of $716. This check never arrived, which by itself was not a huge issue. The issues began when I called the customer service department to have this check resent - which they said was easy and they would get it taken care of immediately. They assured me I would get my check in 7-10 business days. We are now >3 months later and I still have not received my check.

I have called and spoken to the customer service department >10 times, and on numerous occasions I have been assured that the new check is in the mail, only to be told later when I call back (because the check never arrived) that it was in fact never sent because of an error either in the accounting or processing department. Each time I have requested to speak with a manager or customer service specialist, and each time I have been told "there is no one available" but I can absolutely expect a call back in 7-10 days. Again, no one has ever called me back, and they even had the customer service representative even promised me last time that they had just reviewed my case and I would be receiving a call back from the manager in <3 minutes. Again, no one ever called.

Clearly there is a massive failure here on the end of Caliber Home Loans, which all started from their error. Now they have been unable to resolve this for >3 months while withholding >$700 dollars from me. I would absolutely avoid this company for your mortgage like the plague, as you can expect large amounts of money to be mishandled and no customer service help.

Customer ServiceLoan Process

Reviewed May 5, 2022

Updated on 05/15/2022: I wrote complaint about Caliber’s fraud in transferring my property. They print off the original HELOC from the Clerk in the litigation since the transferred entity contract doesn’t exist. Told the Judge there was no contract with me and no proof the Caliber/LSF8 MPT owned the debt. The Judge told me to shut up and if I didn’t he would have his bailiff throw me out of his Court. Then entered a foreclosure order without proof of a contract. Caliber works with Rescue Investors who knock on the doors of those have a foreclosure date listed to play on the vulnerability of those being defrauded since the Justice System is fair in Texas.

Caliber’s fraud includes participation from Title Attorneys and Closing Companies working with Caliber. No closing package is given and in my case, no funding at the fake closing. The payoff was fake. The Title Company and Caliber would not send copies of checks received to buy the property with the Lender's name and checks disbursed listed on the fake HUD Settlement Statement. The HUD Settlement Statement, sent a year later, had a Lender name confirmed she did not fund the closing. They stole my property for $11,000. It was worth $450,000+.

CFPB is waiting on the Contract and proof of debt ownership; NMLS is waiting on the same plus a tie into the payoff submitted to a contract since Caliber’s Debt Law Firm stated my house was paid in full before the litigation. Caliber did not use the NMLS form to prove financial accuracy of payoff but a list on a correspondence page. TDI is waiting on a response from two Title Companies since Caliber did a Short Sale additional release of lien from a Company I never did business and or made a Short Sale ever!

Please note that LSF8 Master Participation Trust and Caliber Home Loans are owned by John Grayken’s Lone Star Funds. He controls the flow of information to the homeowners. Therefore, they set up to defraud me other LSF8 MPT transfers! They withhold contracts because they do not exist. LSF8 Master Participation Trust is not a registered entity to do business and or litigation. It cannot enter into contracts and initiate a lawsuit. If a Contract doesn’t exist, the Subject Matter of FDCPA doesn’t exist to prove they owned my debt, which was zero. Therefore, Caliber cannot enter into a Servicer Agreement and/or sue me for foreclosure! Be diligent because this is organized crime!

Original Review: Caliber was Servicer to an unregistered entity that filed a securities instrument transferred my property. It was illegal transfer. They do not send contract of new owners and me. Unregistered entity cannot do business or litigate in Texas. Caliber can’t enter into agreement with unregistered entities. Most of all unregistered entities cannot enter into contract with me. They withhold contract because it doesn’t exist.

Reviewed May 5, 2022

Most times when I tried to pay my monthly payment through app I have bad, stressful times. When I tried to do sign in always I see session expired. Again and again. No matter day or night! Very difficult to pay my mortgage payment through this stupid app. Today May 4 2022, and I still doesn’t have access to pay my bill.

Punctuality & Speed

Reviewed March 7, 2022

Caliber bought out our loan from the original lender we had. We've had nothing but problems with them. A few months after they bought the loan, they changed their system and asked us to be patient. That's fine. Our payment info was deleted, so we reentered it. They told us our payment didn't go through. We spent months calling and trying to fix our payment. We were told to wait and it would go through and we would not be faulted. We got late fees. Still no one would freaking take our money and we were told everything was our fault even when we had documentation of us trying to fix it. You'd think they would want to help us pay them. We are very diligent about bills, never late, and this has all been maddening. Considering refinancing just so we don't have to work with this company any more.

Customer ServiceRates

Reviewed Feb. 15, 2022

No interest rate is worth the poor customer service they provide and their "new" website that doesn't allow borrowers to control their payment amounts or timing. The automated phone system takes 5+ minutes to reach a human and 3 out of 4 people I reached couldn't answer my questions and all promised to have a manager call me and that never happened. Do yourself a favor and pay more to go with someone else.

Reviewed Feb. 15, 2022

I had a mortgage with them about 7 years ago. Changed to Chase for the rates and service I got. So the Caliber loan was closed out and today I get a card in the mail from them saying I need to contact them. The house I live in now is paid for as I paid cash last year. Why would I want to contact Caliber?

Customer Service

Reviewed Jan. 28, 2022

My escrow should be at $380 currently as we were negative $414 last year plus $884 from the 12/21/21 payment to the new company which left a balance of $1,298 January 1, 2022 minus the $195 escrow payment we made with January payment which brought us to negative $1,102 and we were waiting on the $1,482 check which would have been deposited today and bring us to the positive $380. However, without notifying us and for no reason an extra payment to our current company of $884 was paid 1/17/2022 against the $1,102 bringing the negative balance on my end to $1,986.66.

Thus, I can not put a check of $1,482 without appearing $504 in the negative. I am not asking for another escrow analysis in hopes that it will be the $525 in the positive as it should be with February's payment (adding the $195 to the $380). The insurance department hung up on me. 3 hours I held today. Customer service says they cannot help me. I have sent messages through the system, I have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau… and I want HELP. I want this fixed because my last mortgage statement 12/31 says $1,102 just like it said online. So I cannot go by your word that it’s not the $1986.66 as reflected on my end .. Or you telling me we will have no money in escrow after putting the refund check when we clearly should!!! This is not okay and if I have to get a lawyer I will.

Customer ServiceStaffLoan ProcessTransparency

Reviewed Jan. 17, 2022

The Caliber Home/Jeffrey ** Team were Outstanding to work with. An extremely busy 2021 for my husband and I with several closings. Our Mortgage Refi with the J. ** Team was completed in a month!! And during the month of December... to add another element of “stress”, BUT we received excellent service and a loan that fit our Financial Needs!! Thank you… Frank, Jeffrey and Matt. Having closed loans with 3 mortgage lenders in 2021, professionalism, efficiency and “over the top” communication is the reason your team is successful. Thank you for your superior job on our loan. Rick & Carrie E

Reviewed Jan. 5, 2022

I hate this lender. Especially their payment system. We have 2 loans, and every ** time I log in, it sends a text to my spouse, instead of me. They refuse to allow you to select which phone number you want their stupid security passcode text to be received at. I handle one loan, my spouse handles the other. And their independent loan officers suck too. Last year, the woman we asked to help us, totally wasted our time. I am going to refinance with another company.

Loan Process

Reviewed Dec. 29, 2021

Very weird underwriting process. Not a company for real estate investors. They do not understand multiple properties or properties owned in separate entities! Beware! Underwriter requested to look at business bank statements and tax returns although properties owned by the S-corporation WERE NOT listed on a personal credit report or used for income to qualify for the refinance of the proposed property with Caliber. W-2 income available and property was deeded in personal name. Almost redlining tactics were being implemented for a property with a zero mortgage and an appraised value of $175,000. I have another loan with Caliber. Will refinance away from this company. Investors beware.

Reviewed Dec. 13, 2021

Rhonda at Corning Caliber Loans office was super helpful and she made sure I clearly understand the entire process. She was encouraging and took initiative and helped make sure everything was finalized in a timely manner. Even after securing the loan, Rhonda was available to answer any more questions I had. I am grateful to have gotten to work with her in the process.

Reviewed Dec. 9, 2021

Had a great experience with the loan consultant David **. He has been helpful even to this day after the home has been purchased. He is Very knowledgeable and professional. During the process I felt he was doing his best to ensure the best loan for me.

Reviewed Dec. 7, 2021

John and his team did a great job working diligently through my loan and provided status every step of the way. John was always available to answer any questions I had. I would definitely use again and recommend to friends and family. :)

Punctuality & SpeedStaffLoan Process

Reviewed Dec. 6, 2021

Excellent company, helped us efficiently throughout the procedure. Made it easy to get through the process. The personal at Caliber were polite, courteous and friendly. The closing went quick and easy. The location was great and easy to find. We would definitely recommend caliber home loans to anyone needing a mortgage.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed Nov. 29, 2021

I was referred to Melanie with Caliber due to her experience working with VA loans. Melanie was professional, quick to respond and above all had a genuine passion for working with veterans. I would highly recommend working with Melanie and Caliber. I will forever be grateful for Melanie's consistent hard work that put me in my dream home. ~Lynn

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Nov. 29, 2021

My first experience making a big purchase and couldn’t be happier to have such a strong support and knowledgeable team! Buying a home during such a competitive market was already hard enough but the financing and the millions of updated offer letters were never one of them. Jerry answered every question I had and provided amazing and promptly customer service.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaffLoan ProcessTransparency

Reviewed Nov. 29, 2021

Lynn and her team did a great job getting our refi done, locked in a great rate and saved us some money. Communication was great. I would recommend Caliber Home Loans as they get the job done quickly and very professional.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaffTransparency

Reviewed Nov. 29, 2021

Cody and his team have helped us through multiple transactions and are amazing every time. They have great communication and friendly attitudes, I can tell they genuinely care about us and follow through with their word. We will always bring our business to Cody.

Punctuality & SpeedStaffLoan Process

Reviewed Nov. 28, 2021

I got helped from David ** and he is definitely the best mortgage consultant. Very professional, yet friendly and processed documents in timely manner. He is respectful to others all the time and always gave me the very competitive numbers comparing to others. So.. why not choosing the Caliber Home Loans and David when you are thinking about mortgage? Fully satisfied and do appreciate their help throughout in all the mortgage process.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed Nov. 27, 2021

Everyone we dealt with during our refinance with Caliber was absolutely awesome. Friendly, knowledgeable and quick to respond to any questions asked. We had a couple extra things that needed to be done and rather than be added stress it was super easy.

Punctuality & Speed

Reviewed Nov. 25, 2021

Frank ** and Michele ** handled our transaction in a fast and professional manner. All questions were answered and they helped me to understand my options and what worked best for us. Entire transaction was completed fast and efficiently. Would recommend the team to others.

Staff

Reviewed Nov. 25, 2021

Our Rep Michelle ** went above and beyond for us. As it was my first time buying a home she made it easy and effortless and was always available for any questions we had, even while she was on vacation!

Reviewed Nov. 25, 2021

We had a very smooth experience with Caliber. Completing much of the initial work online was convenient. Staff was responsive and the final signing very well organized and completed in our home. I would recommend their services to friends. Very happy with the service we received.

Customer ServiceStaffLoan ProcessRatesTransparency

Reviewed Nov. 24, 2021

Cassie and her team are the best. They make everything easy for all parties of the transaction. They are professional and explain every part of the process to the clients and agents. Besides the amazing customer service they also provide competitive rates and fees to clients.

Customer ServiceStaffLoan ProcessTransparency

Reviewed Nov. 24, 2021

Brandy and her team did an outstanding job with our home loan. They streamlined the process, were on point with communication and answered every question throughout. I cannot recommend them enough or thank them enough for all they did to make this process manageable.

Reviewed Nov. 24, 2021

They were all confident and knew what to do, we never had doubts regarding the process. It was friendly, concise and efficient. We originally started with them for our mortgage loan and when it came to refinancing we went through them again. Why turn away from great service and great customer experience. I have recommended friends to inquire with them to get the best experience,

StaffLoan ProcessRates

Reviewed Nov. 24, 2021

All of Caliber representatives are professional, knowledgeable and capable. Pleasant and helpful every step of the way. I believe I received the best rate and terms available for my loan and my qualifications. I am pleased with my loan and the service.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaffLoan ProcessRates

Reviewed Nov. 24, 2021

Bill ** and his team were phenomenal throughout the entire process. We had a home built over an extended period of time and they were always so responsive and were quick to answer any and all questions that we had. They were able to get us an interest rate that we never thought was possible. They made the home buying process so much easier!

Caliber Home Loans Company Information