View Rates

2. Mortgages

4.4/5 (133 ratings)

About Better Mortgage

Better offers an online mortgage lending program for borrowers in select states across the nation. The company doesn’t charge lender fees or incentivize its officers with commissions (meaning they shouldn’t try to sell you a loan larger than you need), and it has a referral discount program for its customers.

Pros

• Referral discount program
  • No lender fees or commissions
  • No prepayment penalty

Cons

• Not available in all areas
  • VA and USDA loans not available

Bottom Line

Better specializes in online mortgage applications and approvals with no lender fees or commissions. Though it doesn’t offer VA or USDA loans, it partners with over 25 lenders and investors to help find rates to suit you.

Better Mortgage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Better Mortgage?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Better Mortgage?

Original review: June 15, 2021

I did the cash-out with Better Mortgage and the requirements were changed since the last time I did apply for the loan for self-employed. Everybody was great. It's just that they have to follow protocol. I never imagined it was this difficult for a self-employed to apply for loans. Nonetheless, I like them.

Thank you, Sandra!

Original review: June 14, 2021

My application with Better Mortgage was fairly easy to upload but there was some kind of algorithm check, then the computer held on one thing, so I had to reach out to one of the reps to help me get through the checkpoint. But it worked out and the process throughout was pretty good, depending on who your point of contact at the given phase is. That person may or may not be as responsive as the previous person. At first, the person I was in contact with was easy to get ahold of and easy to communicate with. Then I got an email saying that from that point on, my new point of contact was going to be another person. And that person was a little less convenient as far as working with my schedule.

But other than that, it was a really good experience. You get a decent rate with Better Mortgage compared to working with a traditional lender from the bank. But then you have to be willing to do some of the stuff and expect less handholding. I've worked in the past with lenders from the bank where you can call and they hold your hand through everything. With Better Mortgage, you don't get that level of customer service, but I didn't have an issue with that. And if you go with them, you have to be somewhat savvy on the computer. If you're 75, you don't stand a chance.

Original review: June 13, 2021

Very happy with the speed and ease of this refinance. No hidden fees. Everything ended as it started with on the estimate. Everything was online, on my schedule until the final physical signing. Great.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for the review Paul! Let us know if there is anything we can help with in the future.

Original review: June 13, 2021

I absolutely loved that nearly all of the interaction was able to be done asynchronously online. Using an online portal to fill out information and upload documents was exactly what a mortgage should be. The terms were terrific, and I'm very happy. Only complaint is that I ended up paying way more in monthly escrow than necessary because of a calculation error made by Better. I inquired about this several times, and haven't gotten a response. So I'm stuck paying extra escrow every month until my tax payment comes due and escrow is recalculated.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you Nathan for your feedback!

Original review: June 13, 2021

I really enjoyed the on the online experience. I checked every day for tasks and completed them over the course of the day. I never felt pressured but I liked the momentum. I have refinanced before and this was the best experience I’ve had.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for the review George! Happy to hear you enjoyed your refi experience with us.

Original review: June 13, 2021

Better Mortgage had really competitive rates when I tried shopping around. They had really good follow-up too. The application and underwriting took 30 days and they made everything easy. Their reps answered all my questions and were very helpful. I changed to a cash-out refi at the last minute, because my plans have changed, and they were very accommodating. They were also willing to match a rate that I had gotten from another company, so I'm very satisfied with the rate and the terms I got.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for the review, Kara!

Original review: June 12, 2021

My loan was not straightforward as I was paying off 2 rental properties by taking their principals and rolling into my primary residence as it had equity to do that. So I am sure that complicated things. All was smooth, there was only one item and that was the expectation I would not need an appraisal, but in the end it was required. Better paid for that and the loan went through. So yes, I would recommend.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you Erik! Let us know if there's anything we can help with in the future.

Original review: June 12, 2021

The folks I had direct interaction with were fantastic, hard workers, very responsive, and easy to get ahold of. However, they were young kids, and one could tell that they were being fed information from outside management. The very first fellow that I worked with provided a rate to me and we got all of that written in. Then in less than 10 days before the closing, all of a sudden, not only did my rate changed, but I had points. I called my loan mortgage gal and she said she didn't know what happened, she couldn't advise me, and that she's from another state. I was buying a house in Illinois and this gal I was working with was not even licensed to work for an Illinois mortgage. She had to keep reaching out to get the information from someone who is licensed to do a mortgage in Illinois. That was ridiculous. I told her to find it out. We had emergency phone calls over the weekend. They had to work that time to figure out what was going on.

Come Monday, I finally had an interaction with the underwriter. I was given some options to choose which rate I wanted. We decided on that and they had to rewrite everything quickly and send out new paperwork. I told them that the owners are signing that day and that we got to get this right. They were scrambling. I asked them how did this change in the first place. They said their manager told them to change it. They just did it on the internet and sent me the new paperwork. There was no conversation at all. I told them that this is borderline falsification information and that they are in serious trouble. After I wrote that to them, I got the rate I wanted. Plus, Better gave me a little bit of compensation on my insurance because I put down less than 10% or the PM.

In the real estate office, signing the paperwork, me, my attorney, and the mortgage people were there. We got all signed then my attorney left. We then got a message from Better Mortgage saying that the paperwork is wrong and they have to correct it. I have to call my attorney to come back. We have to wait for them to fix their paperwork and resend it to us. Luckily, there were only a few pages that we needed to resign so we did that and my attorney hung around. The broker gal came in the office and said they finally got the check, but it was $100 short from Better. I asked her if she wanted me to write her a check for $100 and I could cash it as well. She then told us to go home and to give me the key and that she would deal with Better. That was very gracious of them. However, we nearly did not get things done. I will not recommend Better to anyone.

Better Mortgage response

Hey Cynthia, I am very sorry to hear about your experience and totally understand the frustration. Thank you for making me aware of this. I'm sending your feedback to our team so we can make some improvements for the future. If you'd like to discuss further, please feel free to reach out to us at support@better.com.

Original review: June 11, 2021

I reached out with an initial inquiry and Better Mortgage sent me back a rate table. They called me and talked me through it. We landed on what we initially thought would be the best rate and length of the mortgage. I discussed it at home with my wife and we decided on where we wanted to land in that rate table. Throughout the process, Better Mortgage was giving me tasks on the website to complete, made it very easy to know what was next and what I needed to do.

To close it was the most difficult part because I wasn't getting the questions answered as quickly as I wanted to, and I had to prod them to give me information that I was hoping that they would give me upfront. But other than that, the actual closing process was extremely easy because they sent a notary to my home. I got a great rate and that was the most important thing. Everybody was very friendly as I worked through the process and was willing to answer my questions very quickly up until the very end. I have recommended Better to two people already who are looking to refinance.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you, Gregory! Let us know if there's anything we can help with in the future!

Original review: June 10, 2021

I submitted an application online and Better responded back to me within an hour or less. I worked with people and they were very well connected. They had an online portal where I could check in every day and see what was happening and send tasks my way. It was all very streamlined. The whole thing was set and done within less than a month. It was very quick and smooth. I’m still shocked about how easy it all came together. I'm also very happy with the rate I got.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for the review, Beth!

Original review: June 6, 2021

I checked with my current provider and they couldn't match the rate, so I started going down that path and stuck with Better Mortgage. I liked the fact that it was all automated and everything is done online. I did two standard loans with them. It was time-consuming, but the process itself wasn't difficult. They just asked for a lot of stuff, but that's typical. I just had to upload documents to the website every few days. It was easy to do the tasks and the steps. They have a task list so I knew exactly what I was supposed to do, what I have left, and what I've done. I can review them all.

I just wish it could have been a little faster. It shouldn't have taken that long since it was all automated. It should take four weeks at the most. Some steps could have been faster. We had to extend the rate lock twice on one of the loans and once on my primary. But everything else was fine. They handled it good. The people were all nice to work with. Anastasia was always able to answer my questions and available. They were very good about keeping the conversation going. The process was very easy and the people were very responsive.

Better Mortgage response

Thanks, Michael! We appreciate your feedback. Let us know what we can do for you in the future.

Original review: June 5, 2021

From the time of the quote and the rate lock until closing, it was about two months. The only thing that took a long time was the title agency. They took four weeks, which was about two weeks too long. Better Mortgage is very easy to use and they're clear with every step, where you are, and what you need to do. They are better than the one I had.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for your review, Mary!

Original review: June 4, 2021

Better Mortgage's application process was quite user-friendly and very smooth. From start to finish, the process took only three weeks. Their customer service team was very helpful and clear on what I needed to provide them. I got a pretty good rate, too. I've let other people know about Better Mortgage as well.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you, Mir! Much appreciated.

Original review: June 3, 2021

I did a bunch of research in the different local companies around me. Better Mortgage's turnaround time was significant on a refinance, which is what I got. And based on all the reviews online, I read that they can pretty much process just about as quick as you can provide them the information. So with their pretty self-explanatory system to upload documents and all that, I was able to get it done in a much faster timeframe. Better Mortgage's process on a refinance was very ideal. With my time zone difference, being on the West Coast and me in Central Time, it worked out to where they were available on the evenings. I was able to speak to Rashmi. She was my coordinator through the majority of that. But Better Mortgage immediately sells off and changes who you're sending your mortgage payments to instantly. It’s a bit frustrating. Other than that, everybody has to deal with that and they handled it well.

Their process was a superfast one. It was about 25 days from the very start to actual funding. There was one time where it was the only time that they outsourced any portion of the refinance process. But I had to use a third party over the phone verification process where I got on the call with them via a code that was sent to me. Then they called my, at the time, current lender to verify all of the data and the numbers from my current lender. I don't know why they had to do that, but that was the most frustrating process. I was speaking to the same person the whole time. Having to deal with an outsourced third party didn't go too well.

Better Mortgage tries and steers you towards appointments on the website. Pretty much anytime you have an issue, there's a button on the screen you're looking at that says, “Do you have an issue?” When you click it, they try and get you to set up an appointment with somebody. I never did that. I personally use the chat feature on the specific problem I had, and they responded so quickly. Then, if I felt like it was something to worry, then I would just give my individual person. She was great from top to bottom. She responded to my calls within super reasonable amount of time. It was 20 minutes mostly which I think is awesome for an industry with such a high workload.

Better Mortgage response

Thanks, Aaron! We appreciate your feedback.

Original review: June 2, 2021

I liked the ease with which I could get information from Better Mortgage and their rate was highly competitive. I've bought a lot of houses and their process was faster than other experiences I've had. It took me five to six hours total to get all the documents online and talk with all the people. The process was also easier because everything was consistently in one place and I kept getting reminders of everything I had to do, which was pretty cool. I really liked the fact that there was an ability to schedule a call with members of the mortgage processing team, but I found that a little bit glitchy. I'd set an appointment then either I wouldn't get a call or the person didn't know it and I'd have to call directly. Other than that, everyone was courteous and professional.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for your review, John. Let us know if there is anything we can do for you in the future!

Original review: June 1, 2021

I was searching for the best rates, and at the time I was doing my search, Better Mortgage came up and with some of the better rates. I chose somebody else first but they didn't follow up as much. I kind of lost my lock in at the time. So, I went back to doing it and came up with Better Mortgage. The process was a little time consuming, but it was fairly easy. The people I worked with were good. They got everything taken care of and answered questions. They kept in contact. They seem to keep everything going. The online portal was kind of nice.

Thank you, James!

Original review: May 31, 2021

Better Mortgage's terms were better, and I like what they were asking for, the requirements and the loan conditions. The rate was better than the big banks. I had looked at other places, and they wanted a lot more. There was not too much backup, but they wanted certain debts wiped out. Thankfully, with Better Mortgage, I could keep certain things that I didn't want to have to get rid of. The only downside to the whole deal was the communication process, and it wasn't that big a deal. It's just sometimes, things took longer because of that.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for the review!

Original review: May 26, 2021

The online process with Better Mortgage was very simple and much easier than other mortgages I've gotten in the past. The website is nice because I can see everything every step of the way. I can tell if I need to do something or when things are done, which is typically hard to do with other companies in my experience. Also, they have really nice customer support with their chat and being able to quickly schedule meetings with the specialists that I need right from the website.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for leaving us a review, Tyler!

Original review: May 23, 2021

First time use of an online company to refinance or borrow. We did our research and decided to apply with Better, along with three traditional banks. Ultimately, we chose Better, which offered low enough interest, to make it worth refinancing. There was still some trepidation, but we were assigned one person through the entire process, that answered all our questions. All information was available in numbered sequence & instructions were clear/easy to follow. Uploading documents was easy, and the calculations were available right away with everything broken down. It was a good and satisfying experience.

Better Mortgage response

Thanks for the review! We'd love to work with you again in the future.

Original review: May 22, 2021

I'm happy I tried Better Mortgage. As long as you have all your documents together, they're a great service. Some people prefer more of the hand holding. I wouldn't say Better Mortgage is a hand holder but if you're able to leverage technology and get all your stuff together, it's easy. I enjoyed the process because I have an interface to put all my stuff together. I don't need as much hand holding as more resources to help me do it. They provided those resources I needed and were available when I had questions. I tried to get my mom to use them because she was looking to refinance her home. She has a few more issues that complicates her process so she was not able to work with them. But if you have a straightforward process to get a mortgage and it's not complex or if you're just trying to refinance and there are not too many issues, I can't say I've seen anyone go faster in their speed to close.

Thank you, Vernorris!

Original review: May 20, 2021

Slow, cumbersome and complicated process. We were asked for the same documents a million times over. The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Wanna-be tech, but I imagine it's all a bunch of manual work in the background. Took MUCH longer and was MUCH more complicated than the initial financing with Wells Fargo. Never again.

Better Mortgage response

Hey Giorgio, I'm so sorry to hear this, but thank you for letting me know. Please feel free to reach out to us at support@better.com to discuss further.

Original review: May 17, 2021

We had a great experience with Better Mortgage. Everything went very smoothly. I am always amazed at how much can be accomplished online. Kristi ** was our processing expert, and Andrew ** was our closing expert. Both were outstanding professionals who maintained close contact with us and answered all of our questions. True customer service exemplars.

Better Mortgage response

Thanks for the review, Mark! We loved working with you.

Original review: May 16, 2021

Refinanced in 2021 with Better. Not only did they have the best pricing they were low-pressure and very supportive. I was impressed by the ease of doing business with Better and plan to be a repeat customer! Highly recommend.

Thank you, Zach!

Original review: May 16, 2021

I've worked with 4 companies in the past 10 years to refi my mortgage, Better.com has been the best experience yet. Better has an amazing platform to review and upload documents. Friendly team of folks to help you throughout the whole process, highly recommended.

Better Mortgage response

Hey Prayash, thank you for leaving us a review. So happy to hear you had a great experience with us. Let us know if there's anything we can do for you in the future.

Original review: May 16, 2021

I am very happy with the mortgage loan service I received from better Mortgage. The 100% online option from pre-approval letters, to working with user friendly financial calculators based on the interest rate, closing estimates, the quick responses from professionals to guide and walk through the entire process, was very impressive and amazing. Loved the total experience from Beginning to finish of the mortgage process. Highly recommend Better Mortgage company.

Thank you, Anshu!

Original review: May 15, 2021

No regret of choosing Better.com to do our refinance. Great system, clear information, easy communication, very competitive rates and fees (no fee), closing was delayed quite a bit. Made us nervous???? But closing expert was on top of it and updating us frequently. Overall 10 of 10, will recommend!

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for the review, Yuying! Happy to hear your experience was great.

Original review: May 15, 2021

Fast and organized. Best online mortgage experience I ever had. My home purchase was unique and very frustrating when it came to the sellers, realtor and closing attorney. However Better was right there making sure things got done and that I closed on time despite having 3 changing closing dates, better made the process less frustrating and of course everything Better! I have recommended them to several friends. Definitely would use them again.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you, Lakeshia! Let us know if we can help with anything else.

Original review: May 15, 2021

I refinanced two properties, one with Loan Depot and the other with Better. Both did a great job. It seemed to me that Better's web site was a little easier to navigate. When calling with questions they were right there with help and answers. Treated as if I were the only client.

Better Mortgage response

Thanks, Reggie! We'd love to work with you again in the future.

Original review: May 15, 2021

I discovered Better Mortgage online, I have had many mortgages in my life. This is definitely the easiest one, all of the associates that I dealt with were professional, respectful and kind. I will certainly consider them in the future. These are real people and they listen to you. It was a pleasant experience!

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for the review, William! Let us know if there's anything we can help with in the future.

Original review: May 15, 2021

I have emailed Better a few times with no response.. I still do not have a copy of my closing package. All the documents signed at closing. I work in the industry and this is not common or compliant practice. I will revise my review once I have a copy of every document I signed/reviewed at closing. Thanks!

Better Mortgage response

Hi Susan, I'm so sorry to hear about this, but thank you for letting me know. Please reach out to us at support@better.com so we can help.

Better Mortgage Company Information