View Rates

4.4/5 (146 ratings)

About Better Mortgage

Better offers an online mortgage lending program for borrowers in select states across the nation. The company doesn’t charge lender fees or incentivize its officers with commissions (meaning they shouldn’t try to sell you a loan larger than you need), and it has a referral discount program for its customers.

Pros

• Referral discount program
  • No lender fees or commissions
  • No prepayment penalty

Cons

• Not available in all areas
  • VA and USDA loans not available

Bottom Line

Better specializes in online mortgage applications and approvals with no lender fees or commissions. Though it doesn’t offer VA or USDA loans, it partners with over 25 lenders and investors to help find rates to suit you.

Better Mortgage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Better Mortgage?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Better Mortgage?

Original review: July 8, 2021

Better Mortgage had the most competitive rates. However, every time I wanted to speak with my loan officer, I did speak to someone else and sometimes they didn't know my predicament. It would be a lot of long-winded waits on the phone, and then it'd be, "Let me give you a call back when he's free." It was good and bad. Everyone is all hands on deck but sometimes, they were kind of out of the loop with my situation. Since so many other people were handling my account rather than just my loan officer, I got a lot of back and forth suggestions on what I should do for specific tasks. It was good, but sometimes frustrating 'cause I was doing the same thing twice when I get different calls from different people asking for different things.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for your feedback, Savannah!

Original review: July 7, 2021

When I moved forward with Better Mortgage, I was happy that I got a good rate, and I locked it in. I liked the process because it told me if I had a task and based on the task, I needed to take care of A through B then I would upload it, et cetera. But in some cases, some of the tasks were vague. Even though I uploaded whatever they asked for, it wasn't specifically what they were looking for. The communication could have been a little bit more clear. But I like the system because it was encrypted. That made me feel more comfortable. Taking care of the privacy of my data was also impressive. I like that because they were always on top and concerned about breach of data confidentiality. That stood out really well compared to other banks which use conventional email for swapping out confidential information.

Better Mortgage assumed that I owned that company. They asked for a ledger on a company that was basic for consulting that I did for a company, and it was very short period. The underwriter was asking for way too much info that did not apply so that made it more complicated. I'm in the tech world so I know how to get around computers, capture files, upload them, and put all this stuff on to the cloud or encrypted data. There are a lot of individuals that could benefit off of the refi through Better Mortgage, but the issue is they don't have the same capabilities. They're not tech-savvy or they don't have the proper equipment for either scanning or converting to PDFs so it's difficult for them on their end.

Better Mortgage could develop a phone app where one could take a picture of documents that they want that would automatically upload it to the specific task that they're looking for. That would make it easier for a lot of people because then they could just get their phone, take a screenshot of the front, maybe of each page of the document, and it upload it to their system that's encrypted.

The rate and terms were one of the best. In some cases, if they could turn around and be a little bit less lenient when somebody wants to consolidate debt, then that would help out also. A lot of times, they look at debt to ratio. But if you pay off the debt, hypothetically, the debt to ratio is going to be a lot better. If they have control over it on their end and say that, "Okay, we're not going to let the client pay off the debt, we're going to pay off the debt," because then they can automatically see that once the debt is paid, the debt to ratio is pretty much within the borrowing limit.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for your review!

Original review: June 29, 2021

The process at Better Mortgage was simple. I like that it was all online and I really didn't have to do much. Everyone was helpful. I would recommend them.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for the review! Happy to hear you enjoyed your experience with us.

Original review: June 25, 2021

Whenever there was an outstanding, I used to get a call from someone and that they were waiting on me. I could see what was pending visually. Whoever I spoke to was really nice and knowledgeable. They helped me out very well. I was happy with the process.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you! Happy to hear you enjoyed your experience with us.

Original review: June 23, 2021

Better Mortgage gave me good customer service and they were accessible all the time either by email or by phone. Everything was smooth. The online part of it was easy. They outline the task that you have to do. If you don't understand it, they get on the phone and help you with it. I'm not a young person so I've been through loans several times before so I knew what to expect. There was nothing that caught me by surprise. I have no concern going back with Better Mortgage. I would tell anybody to check with them if they're interested. I had a good experience with them.

Better Mortgage response

Thanks, James! We appreciate your review.

Original review: June 20, 2021

I went with Better Mortgage because of their ability to pay down points. I liked the programs that they had matched to what I was looking for. The application process is pretty easy. Most of the communications were online. I was able to sign up. It was even a Sunday that I did everything on the website. Then they got back ahold of me to confirm information. We really enjoyed the process. Communication was really good. I wish I could have stuck with the same agent through the whole process. There was a point where I had a really good agent. Then there was a point that once I got into the final underwriting, I got into a specialist in that field and communication kind of dropped off. But the process still moved along at a pretty good rate. We're happy with Better Mortgage.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for the review Michael! Happy to hear you enjoyed your experience with us.

Original review: June 19, 2021

My loan was not for a huge amount for some lenders and I had difficulty qualifying but the team at Better worked with me to roll in my closing cost so that I was eligible for financing. They tried to figure out what my goals were and how best to help me. The whole loan team was very efficient, professional, and quick. I appreciate that I was able to get through the process and do tasks and stuff online at my convenience. It helped the process go by pretty quickly and they were very communicative and checked in. It was a great overall experience.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for the review! Let us know if there's anything we can help with in the future.

Original review: June 18, 2021

Better listed the full array of rates/points options from the very start. This saved a tremendous amount of time otherwise spent "bargaining" with a loan consultant and attracted me to the company immediately. A sidebar with "Tasks" keeps the client up to date on what Better needed, and all documents could be uploaded easily online. A series of team members are available for each step - consulting, processing, closing - and remain readily available and responsive for guidance if needed.

Having come to the table with a game plan, a spreadsheet with an amortization schedule, and calls to several other companies, Better quickly appealed. Exceptionally clear and straightforward, the process left me feeling completely in control. Even a novice, however, can negotiate the process easily with confidence. With no commissions complicating cost, there are no hidden agendas or fees. Estimations regularly updated, and I found the refinancing to be surprisingly pleasant. I locked in my rate and closed 27 days later. A notary came to my house with paperwork to close the deal. I would absolutely turn to them again when needed and recommend the service to anyone seeking refinancing. Better was best with an easy and effective process.

Better Mortgage response

Thanks for the review, Gary! Happy to hear you enjoyed your experience with us.

Original review: June 18, 2021

We had an awful experience with Better Mortgage. In the end, we refinanced 2 mortgages and received excellent rates BUT it was a terribly painful experience. The beginning of the experience with Better was good while they collected our information and started the application process. Once we were approved the closing process was terrible. Better continually made mistakes with paperwork, providing wrong information, providing the wrong paperwork, Title errors, and even funding and closing one of the mortgages BEFORE the paperwork was correct, complete, or signed! We ended up paying $1,000s more than necessary that needed to be refunded to us in the end.

Their closing "expert" only had 9 months of mortgage experience. Even after escalating the issues to management (this took 5 requests via email and phone before management was made aware) then things started to smooth out but errors did continue. It took 3 months to close both mortgages which resulted in our having to keep generating documents for them (i.e. current bank account balances, etc.) Honestly I cannot recommend using Better Mortgage unless you are extremely familiar with the process and can check all your documentation yourself for accuracy.

It took 7 visits from a notary to our house (during COVID) to get all the correct papers to us to be signed. They would keep coming with the wrong docs from the title company. We did not appreciate having these strangers coming to our house bringing a possible COVID exposure. Even after the closure, there continue to be complications as the loan servicers keep changing and in one case one of our loans has already been sold to Freddie Mac. The good news is we are locked in on 1.75% for 15 years on our home and 2.5% for 30 years on our investment property.

Better Mortgage response

Hey Andrew, so sorry to hear about the frustration. Please feel free to reach out to our Client Success Team at support@better.com if there's anything else that comes up. In the meantime, I'm sending your feedback to our team so we can improve in the future.

Original review: June 18, 2021

They were very fast in responding and the online application was clear. I know exactly what I have to do and it was a very easy website to upload documents. They assigned me a representative once I filled up the application and that person was in contact with me. He was really good. I dealt with him halfway through the process and another young lady took his place. There was a little bit of a slower response when she took on his account, but I imagine that was part of the handing over. Once she got on the account, it was pretty smooth. Also, it was a quick turnaround. I didn't even have to have an appraisal because the loan amount was much less than the value of the property. They used some sort of system to look at the value of the property online.

Thank you!

Original review: June 17, 2021

Better is really straightforward with the rates, providing us estimates, and all those kinds of things and the online experience was really easy. The process was easy to manage and it's straightforward online to know what to do next. They didn't have to call us and tell us what we need to do. The couple of times we heard from their rep, it was just to check in and make sure things were going well.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for the review Andrew! Happy to hear you enjoyed your experience with us.

Original review: June 16, 2021

I’ve never done that kind of transaction online before and it seemed to work out fine. Continuing to communicate with them made me comfortable. They answered whatever questions I had. I'm still in the dark about who my actual final mortgage company is going to be. It's a little confusing, because it has been two companies since Better Mortgage. But I'm happy with the rate. I just need to just make sure who I actually am going to be paying my mortgage payments to.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for your feedback, Wendy. Let us know if there is anything we can help with in the future and looking forward to working with you again!

Original review: June 15, 2021

My experience with Better Mortgage was excellent from the second I got to their site. I received an alert from another company indicating a major rate dip for 15 year refinances, which I had been tracking for close to a year. I quickly searched and came across Better Mortgage. They quoted a ridiculously low rate - so I jumped at it. Sign-up was quick and simple, and I was able to lock 1.875% on a 15yr refinance THE SAME DAY. A TEAM of people was immediately assigned to me and they reached out within the same 24 hours that I signed up. Better Mortgage has PERFECTED the refinance process, and guided me along. If I had a question, I emailed my team and received a response WITHIN THE SAME HOUR. For most companies, replying within TWENTY-FOUR hours is considered ok -- nope -- not for Better. Within 1 hour was my experience with just about every single communication I sent.

The reps I had - I'll only say a first name - Carly - was flat out the best rep I've ever dealt with. Quick, pleasant, reassuring, confident, HAPPY TO HELP me. I had to communicate with her a few times at the end as there was confusion on the final closing payout, and even though that area is not Carly's responsibility, she reached out and helped me anyway. The other 2-3 reps assigned to me were also amazing and quick. I swear, the next time I refinance or purchase a different home, my immediate choice will be Better Mortgage. I can't thank Carly and everyone there for such a positive experience.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for the review Daniel!

Original review: June 15, 2021

I did the cash-out with Better Mortgage and the requirements were changed since the last time I did apply for the loan for self-employed. Everybody was great. It's just that they have to follow protocol. I never imagined it was this difficult for a self-employed to apply for loans. Nonetheless, I like them.

Thank you, Sandra!

Original review: June 14, 2021

My application with Better Mortgage was fairly easy to upload but there was some kind of algorithm check, then the computer held on one thing, so I had to reach out to one of the reps to help me get through the checkpoint. But it worked out and the process throughout was pretty good, depending on who your point of contact at the given phase is. That person may or may not be as responsive as the previous person. At first, the person I was in contact with was easy to get ahold of and easy to communicate with. Then I got an email saying that from that point on, my new point of contact was going to be another person. And that person was a little less convenient as far as working with my schedule.

But other than that, it was a really good experience. You get a decent rate with Better Mortgage compared to working with a traditional lender from the bank. But then you have to be willing to do some of the stuff and expect less handholding. I've worked in the past with lenders from the bank where you can call and they hold your hand through everything. With Better Mortgage, you don't get that level of customer service, but I didn't have an issue with that. And if you go with them, you have to be somewhat savvy on the computer. If you're 75, you don't stand a chance.

Original review: June 13, 2021

Very happy with the speed and ease of this refinance. No hidden fees. Everything ended as it started with on the estimate. Everything was online, on my schedule until the final physical signing. Great.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for the review Paul! Let us know if there is anything we can help with in the future.

Original review: June 13, 2021

I absolutely loved that nearly all of the interaction was able to be done asynchronously online. Using an online portal to fill out information and upload documents was exactly what a mortgage should be. The terms were terrific, and I'm very happy. Only complaint is that I ended up paying way more in monthly escrow than necessary because of a calculation error made by Better. I inquired about this several times, and haven't gotten a response. So I'm stuck paying extra escrow every month until my tax payment comes due and escrow is recalculated.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you Nathan for your feedback!

Original review: June 13, 2021

I really enjoyed the on the online experience. I checked every day for tasks and completed them over the course of the day. I never felt pressured but I liked the momentum. I have refinanced before and this was the best experience I’ve had.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for the review George! Happy to hear you enjoyed your refi experience with us.

Original review: June 13, 2021

Better Mortgage had really competitive rates when I tried shopping around. They had really good follow-up too. The application and underwriting took 30 days and they made everything easy. Their reps answered all my questions and were very helpful. I changed to a cash-out refi at the last minute, because my plans have changed, and they were very accommodating. They were also willing to match a rate that I had gotten from another company, so I'm very satisfied with the rate and the terms I got.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for the review, Kara!

Original review: June 12, 2021

My loan was not straightforward as I was paying off 2 rental properties by taking their principals and rolling into my primary residence as it had equity to do that. So I am sure that complicated things. All was smooth, there was only one item and that was the expectation I would not need an appraisal, but in the end it was required. Better paid for that and the loan went through. So yes, I would recommend.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you Erik! Let us know if there's anything we can help with in the future.

Original review: June 12, 2021

The folks I had direct interaction with were fantastic, hard workers, very responsive, and easy to get ahold of. However, they were young kids, and one could tell that they were being fed information from outside management. The very first fellow that I worked with provided a rate to me and we got all of that written in. Then in less than 10 days before the closing, all of a sudden, not only did my rate changed, but I had points. I called my loan mortgage gal and she said she didn't know what happened, she couldn't advise me, and that she's from another state. I was buying a house in Illinois and this gal I was working with was not even licensed to work for an Illinois mortgage. She had to keep reaching out to get the information from someone who is licensed to do a mortgage in Illinois. That was ridiculous. I told her to find it out. We had emergency phone calls over the weekend. They had to work that time to figure out what was going on.

Come Monday, I finally had an interaction with the underwriter. I was given some options to choose which rate I wanted. We decided on that and they had to rewrite everything quickly and send out new paperwork. I told them that the owners are signing that day and that we got to get this right. They were scrambling. I asked them how did this change in the first place. They said their manager told them to change it. They just did it on the internet and sent me the new paperwork. There was no conversation at all. I told them that this is borderline falsification information and that they are in serious trouble. After I wrote that to them, I got the rate I wanted. Plus, Better gave me a little bit of compensation on my insurance because I put down less than 10% or the PM.

In the real estate office, signing the paperwork, me, my attorney, and the mortgage people were there. We got all signed then my attorney left. We then got a message from Better Mortgage saying that the paperwork is wrong and they have to correct it. I have to call my attorney to come back. We have to wait for them to fix their paperwork and resend it to us. Luckily, there were only a few pages that we needed to resign so we did that and my attorney hung around. The broker gal came in the office and said they finally got the check, but it was $100 short from Better. I asked her if she wanted me to write her a check for $100 and I could cash it as well. She then told us to go home and to give me the key and that she would deal with Better. That was very gracious of them. However, we nearly did not get things done. I will not recommend Better to anyone.

Better Mortgage response

Hey Cynthia, I am very sorry to hear about your experience and totally understand the frustration. Thank you for making me aware of this. I'm sending your feedback to our team so we can make some improvements for the future. If you'd like to discuss further, please feel free to reach out to us at support@better.com.

Original review: June 11, 2021

I reached out with an initial inquiry and Better Mortgage sent me back a rate table. They called me and talked me through it. We landed on what we initially thought would be the best rate and length of the mortgage. I discussed it at home with my wife and we decided on where we wanted to land in that rate table. Throughout the process, Better Mortgage was giving me tasks on the website to complete, made it very easy to know what was next and what I needed to do.

To close it was the most difficult part because I wasn't getting the questions answered as quickly as I wanted to, and I had to prod them to give me information that I was hoping that they would give me upfront. But other than that, the actual closing process was extremely easy because they sent a notary to my home. I got a great rate and that was the most important thing. Everybody was very friendly as I worked through the process and was willing to answer my questions very quickly up until the very end. I have recommended Better to two people already who are looking to refinance.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you, Gregory! Let us know if there's anything we can help with in the future!

Original review: June 10, 2021

I submitted an application online and Better responded back to me within an hour or less. I worked with people and they were very well connected. They had an online portal where I could check in every day and see what was happening and send tasks my way. It was all very streamlined. The whole thing was set and done within less than a month. It was very quick and smooth. I’m still shocked about how easy it all came together. I'm also very happy with the rate I got.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for the review, Beth!

Original review: June 6, 2021

I checked with my current provider and they couldn't match the rate, so I started going down that path and stuck with Better Mortgage. I liked the fact that it was all automated and everything is done online. I did two standard loans with them. It was time-consuming, but the process itself wasn't difficult. They just asked for a lot of stuff, but that's typical. I just had to upload documents to the website every few days. It was easy to do the tasks and the steps. They have a task list so I knew exactly what I was supposed to do, what I have left, and what I've done. I can review them all.

I just wish it could have been a little faster. It shouldn't have taken that long since it was all automated. It should take four weeks at the most. Some steps could have been faster. We had to extend the rate lock twice on one of the loans and once on my primary. But everything else was fine. They handled it good. The people were all nice to work with. Anastasia was always able to answer my questions and available. They were very good about keeping the conversation going. The process was very easy and the people were very responsive.

Better Mortgage response

Thanks, Michael! We appreciate your feedback. Let us know what we can do for you in the future.

Original review: June 5, 2021

From the time of the quote and the rate lock until closing, it was about two months. The only thing that took a long time was the title agency. They took four weeks, which was about two weeks too long. Better Mortgage is very easy to use and they're clear with every step, where you are, and what you need to do. They are better than the one I had.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for your review, Mary!

Original review: June 4, 2021

Better Mortgage's application process was quite user-friendly and very smooth. From start to finish, the process took only three weeks. Their customer service team was very helpful and clear on what I needed to provide them. I got a pretty good rate, too. I've let other people know about Better Mortgage as well.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you, Mir! Much appreciated.

Original review: June 3, 2021

I did a bunch of research in the different local companies around me. Better Mortgage's turnaround time was significant on a refinance, which is what I got. And based on all the reviews online, I read that they can pretty much process just about as quick as you can provide them the information. So with their pretty self-explanatory system to upload documents and all that, I was able to get it done in a much faster timeframe. Better Mortgage's process on a refinance was very ideal. With my time zone difference, being on the West Coast and me in Central Time, it worked out to where they were available on the evenings. I was able to speak to Rashmi. She was my coordinator through the majority of that. But Better Mortgage immediately sells off and changes who you're sending your mortgage payments to instantly. It’s a bit frustrating. Other than that, everybody has to deal with that and they handled it well.

Their process was a superfast one. It was about 25 days from the very start to actual funding. There was one time where it was the only time that they outsourced any portion of the refinance process. But I had to use a third party over the phone verification process where I got on the call with them via a code that was sent to me. Then they called my, at the time, current lender to verify all of the data and the numbers from my current lender. I don't know why they had to do that, but that was the most frustrating process. I was speaking to the same person the whole time. Having to deal with an outsourced third party didn't go too well.

Better Mortgage tries and steers you towards appointments on the website. Pretty much anytime you have an issue, there's a button on the screen you're looking at that says, “Do you have an issue?” When you click it, they try and get you to set up an appointment with somebody. I never did that. I personally use the chat feature on the specific problem I had, and they responded so quickly. Then, if I felt like it was something to worry, then I would just give my individual person. She was great from top to bottom. She responded to my calls within super reasonable amount of time. It was 20 minutes mostly which I think is awesome for an industry with such a high workload.

Better Mortgage response

Thanks, Aaron! We appreciate your feedback.

Original review: June 2, 2021

I liked the ease with which I could get information from Better Mortgage and their rate was highly competitive. I've bought a lot of houses and their process was faster than other experiences I've had. It took me five to six hours total to get all the documents online and talk with all the people. The process was also easier because everything was consistently in one place and I kept getting reminders of everything I had to do, which was pretty cool. I really liked the fact that there was an ability to schedule a call with members of the mortgage processing team, but I found that a little bit glitchy. I'd set an appointment then either I wouldn't get a call or the person didn't know it and I'd have to call directly. Other than that, everyone was courteous and professional.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for your review, John. Let us know if there is anything we can do for you in the future!

Original review: June 1, 2021

I was searching for the best rates, and at the time I was doing my search, Better Mortgage came up and with some of the better rates. I chose somebody else first but they didn't follow up as much. I kind of lost my lock in at the time. So, I went back to doing it and came up with Better Mortgage. The process was a little time consuming, but it was fairly easy. The people I worked with were good. They got everything taken care of and answered questions. They kept in contact. They seem to keep everything going. The online portal was kind of nice.

Thank you, James!

Original review: May 31, 2021

Better Mortgage's terms were better, and I like what they were asking for, the requirements and the loan conditions. The rate was better than the big banks. I had looked at other places, and they wanted a lot more. There was not too much backup, but they wanted certain debts wiped out. Thankfully, with Better Mortgage, I could keep certain things that I didn't want to have to get rid of. The only downside to the whole deal was the communication process, and it wasn't that big a deal. It's just sometimes, things took longer because of that.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for the review!

Better Mortgage Company Information