View Rates

2. Mortgages

4.4/5 (130 ratings)

About Better Mortgage

Better offers an online mortgage lending program for borrowers in select states across the nation. The company doesn’t charge lender fees or incentivize its officers with commissions (meaning they shouldn’t try to sell you a loan larger than you need), and it has a referral discount program for its customers.

Pros

• Referral discount program
  • No lender fees or commissions
  • No prepayment penalty

Cons

• Not available in all areas
  • VA and USDA loans not available

Bottom Line

Better specializes in online mortgage applications and approvals with no lender fees or commissions. Though it doesn’t offer VA or USDA loans, it partners with over 25 lenders and investors to help find rates to suit you.

Better Mortgage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Better Mortgage?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Better Mortgage?

Original review: Nov. 15, 2021

I've worked with other refinance companies before and they wanted an arm and a leg and two feet. I like that the stuff that Better Mortgage asked for was standard, but it was also doable and wasn't anything out of the ordinary. They also had the lowest rates. I was able to cut the time that I need to pay off my mortgage. I went down to 15 instead of 30. I got rid of PMI as well. Another good thing about them was the rep made himself available. If he called me and I missed calling, he'd call me back or email me. He'd respond within a timely manner.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2021

Better Mortgage has a good online system. It's very easy to use. From all the reviews that I read about the service and the communication, I felt like that was the perfect company to use. Jennifer was amazing and I enjoyed how fast they communicated with me. They would text and email me. That was very convenient for me because I could do it whenever I had time. Better Mortgage offers some rebates too. I didn't pay for my appraisal. There was another fee that was waived which other companies were not able to do for me. With Better Mortgage, we eliminated the FHA insurance and we got a lower rate. It's 1.3% less than what we were originally in for.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2021

Better was very upfront about what they needed from me and I was able to provide that. They didn't keep asking me for stuff over and over again. I liked the whole process. The new rate and terms I got were just what I wanted. The experience was quick and no hassles.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2021

I liked Better Mortgage's rates and cost. A lot of stuff was done online and it was seamless and transparent.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2021

We refinanced and the rep Kylie was polite and stayed on top of everything. We had some issues and she did everything possible to get things done. She stayed in communication well, and the rates and terms we got were very comparable to normal rates going around. We saved 2.5%. All in all, Better Mortgage did good. I would email and they’d get right back to me. They answered all my questions and I felt comfortable dealing with them.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2021

The rep answered all my questions and kept me informed as to what the next steps were.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2021

I loved the online application process. The whole process of how they do everything through the online app was very easy. If there was anything, we would call Lauren. She would be right dead on top of it. She never dropped anything. She was super responsive. It worked really well for us. They gave me credit to get the deal too. It was a very good experience.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2021

My experience started off really well. They were very responsive, and everything moved pretty quickly. The website was up to snuff, and it was straightforward to submit all the documents. But at closing, we had an issue with the funding. It was a cash-out refinance, but they thought that they had to pay the person directly. There was no mortgage on the house, and the funds had to be sent to me. So there was a period of about two and a half weeks after closing that I didn't receive those funds and the cash-out refinancing. It really threw a wrench in a lot of my other plans and ended up being a lot more expensive for me. But they ultimately got the money to me. If somebody isn’t doing a cash-out refinance, I would definitely recommend them.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2021

The mortgage process went well and it was pretty standard in the industry. The rate and terms were competitive with what I could get with the credit union I was already banking with and had my mortgage with previously. When my current bank found out that I was refinancing, they tried to see if they could get me to stay and offered to quote it for me and they could only improve the offer by $65 in total, so it wasn't worth it for me to do that.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2021

Better Mortgage told us all the steps that we needed to do but they kept moving us around until we finally got the fifth person. He stayed with us the rest of the time. He was very responsive and whenever I sent an email, he got right back to me. I was impressed with that. The only thing that I didn’t like was that there were several documents that we had to get that the title company should have gotten. That’s their job and we pushed on it. The title company didn't do anything about it so I was not happy about that, but we did get the documents. Better could have pushed the title company a little bit more.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2021

Better did a great job. It was much easier dealing with them than it was dealing with my bank. The application process was entirely online. Anytime I had a question, I just scheduled it with the loan officer. She would call me at precisely the moment that was scheduled on the calendar and she never missed a day. The only issue that we ran into was their coordination with our local title company. The closing was scheduled to have it done in our house. But the title company never showed up. 15 minutes after they were supposed to be here, I started calling people. Then I found out that the title company did not have a traveling notary so we had to rush to go to the title company to get everything done. Overall, Better was able to do something in a month that my bank had taken two months.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2021

Working with Better Mortgage was good. The only thing I didn't like is it was really hard to connect with people when I needed something. Calling and trying to get with my agent and asking questions, it was a process. But the mortgage rate was a little bit lower than everything else. I assumed that service is just not as good as if I went to a bank and had a person instead of a call center. And everyone had different paths, so it wasn't a one-stop-shop where I can have someone who was knowledgeable. I had to speak to different portions of the assembly line and not get my answers from one person. So, that was a little bit frustrating.

We shopped around and contacted every mortgage provider for New York City and it was a lot easier to handle and speak to other people. It was a lot more personal and there was a lot more in terms of communication and connection. I had a guy at KeyBank who was handling my mortgage and he gave me a cell number. There was another guy who Zoomed with me and went through the whole process of the mortgage. So, I got a whole lot more information from other people. I'm a first-time homebuyer and they were a lot more ready and willing to be like, “Oh, let me just hold your hand while we do this,” or I ask questions, or I wanna shop around for a formula to figure out the interest rates. Whereas, with Better Mortgage, I have to figure it out for myself.

But the interest rates weren't the same. And a 30-year mortgage with even a 0.01 of difference is enough for me to deal with. So, I went through the assembly line. I'd recommend Better Mortgage but shop around. If Better Mortgage is the place with the cheaper interest rate, then go for that. The loan officer was as helpful as she could be. But there's still limitations to everything that she knew or where we were in the assembly line. The issue was getting to her, whether it was email or trying to call her. ‘Cause sometimes they just don't wanna deal with the email. I would never recommend this to my mother because she'd be lost. She'd have to be more internet-savvy and more used to the emailing. I definitely don't think Better Mortgage is for the older generation but it's better for younger folks. Also, it's not so great for first-time homebuyers. Fortunately, got to have all of my questions answered by other mortgage companies, so I have less reliance on Better.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2021

Better Mortgage did everything online. They told me what documentation they needed and there was no interaction with another person, except for the notary personnel. I tried to call one of the team members to ask a couple of questions, but I never got ahold anyone. I emailed once and it came with response. Other than that, I thought, “Ah, forget it.” Instead of, “Why do you need this?”, “What other things I could give?”, or “I already give you this information, why you ask again?”, I just resubmit whatever even though it’s already been asked. It's faster that way for me. The process took three weeks, and it was straightforward and standard. I'm proactive and whenever something was asked, I try to get that information right away. A lot of the information, I was prepared already prior to because I've been shopping around. I have also done refi before, so I have an understanding how things work and what is asked.

I understand there's a balance and a cost to everything. If there’s more human face availability, it causes Better Mortgage to have more operational cost and they they wouldn’t pass the savings to us. I'm not used to this whole new world of digital age, but it has its perks. They asked a lot more documentation than I ever experienced, and it was very convenient that I could upload at my convenience. All in all I'm satisfied. The rates and terms are very competitive.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2021

I did a rate comparison and Better Mortgage had one of the lowest rates. That really attracted me. Also, I really don't like working with paper and Better Mortgage is doing everything online. It's easy to upload PDFs, which is so much more convenient for me. I reached out and started working with Better Mortgage. I did a conventional 15-year loan with them. The process took a month and a half and it was very streamlined. It was easy to follow the directions on the Better Mortgage website and it made everything really simplified. If you want something that's really easy, try to use Better Mortgage. Customer service was very professional too. I had to call them a few times to ask questions and they helped out. They were really available at all times, which was important for me.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2021

We used Better because of 5 star reviews on NerdWallet and other personal finance websites. Getting pre-approved for a loan was easy and completing tasks was simple to a point. My wife is self-employed and they couldn't answer a question for 5 days about how to notate her income. We set numerous meetings with Justin C at Better and he kept having "audio issues" or just plain skipped our appointments without notice or an excuse. We ultimately had to switch to a local lender while under contract because of how unresponsive Better's team was. DO NOT USE BETTER if you don't have cookie cutter income statements, as their computer can't process things and their team is ridiculously useless. It felt like we were not a priority and they could care less about us. Home buying is already a stressful process and Better's team made it 100x worse. If I could give them 0 stars I would, it was that bad.

Better Mortgage response

Hey Ryan, I'm so sorry to hear about your frustration but thank you for leaving an honest review. We are sending your feedback to our team to help us improve in the future. Please reach out to us at support@better.com if you'd like to discuss further.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2021

Better Mortgage is one of the most convenient companies. You can do it all online. The process seemed monotonous. But I understand that I'm self-employed. So they needed a lot of extra information. Having to provide all the data was not the easiest thing in the world, having to scan an email. But that's easier than mailing in or having to go to an office. The rep did a good job. I'd recommend Better Mortgage.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2021

Better Mortgage was very positive and supportive being me as a customer. But they also have a long way to go in terms of improvement. There were multiple stakeholders and people involved in this and I hate the overall process. There were a lot of things that were hidden. Nothing wrong with them, or the party that we are talking about on the phone. It could just be a lot of regulations and compliance and keeping the confidentiality of the seller. It could be much more transparent. I would like to see everyone get out of this process including the lawyers, and just the buyers and sellers and the lenders. There were a lot of mistakes on the documents that I was getting from my attorney that I had to mitigate out. But the reps were responsive and available although there were times where I had to wait on the long calls over the weekend.

Thank you for the review!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2021

Better had the lowest interest rate and everything was online. Also, the user experience was so good on the website. Everything was so easy to do. I could call anyone to ask any questions or any issues in no wait time.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

Our experience with Better was very positive! The refinance process took a lot less time online, and we always felt in the loop about our status. I would recommend Better to anyone who is looking to refinance, especially busy people and those who won't miss the face-to-face interaction.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

Better Mortgage had an online website so it was very easy to track the process. When I asked them on their online website for any questions, they were easy to respond to. Also, they set up a primary call with me first to make me understand what their process was and how they were insured. It was good working with them and I would refer my friends to go with them.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

I had a great experience with Better Mortgage which was wonderful, since other factors outside of the mortgage made my purchasing experience very frustrating. My team was very responsive, and easy to reach when I needed them. Overall, they earned my business with a great rate, and great customer service.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

We went through several mortgages with Better and we like the fact that they are all digital. We also love how fast they move. Their rates are competitive, to a point where we just know that there are a few people that could beat out Better, but then a lot of times, we're going straight to them first before going anywhere else.

Thank you for the review!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2021

Better Mortgage is good and I would recommend them to my friend. Customer service is very efficient and I can handle almost everything on the website.

Thank you for the review!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2021

If I was shopping around, I would have gotten a better deal somewhere, but I was looking for a fast process and that's why I went with Better Mortgage. Their process was streamlined and everything was notified quickly on the app. I always used to get an answer. If there's a question, just put the question and you get an answer, or email and then follow up later. It doesn't have to be at the same time. I like the automation that Better Mortgage has done with everything.

Although the loan closure took some time, the application approval and finalizing the cost was a week. The only thing is the rates that are shown on the website are not the rates that you get when you talk to a person over the phone. They are always the lowest and it can be made more transparent. Other than that, I had a good experience with everyone. They were responsive and knew their responsibilities well.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for the review - we are sending your feedback to our team.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

I was working with a mortgage company and we were far down the road. But their rep made a couple of mistakes and when I reached out to her, she told me she would get back to me in a few days. That was too important to wait for her to figure stuff out so I reached out to Better Mortgage and I truly preferred them better once I started with the process. Everything was step-by-step online. I had a portal and I uploaded all my own documents. I could see where everything was at every step of the way.

I only have one complaint. When I decided to go with them, I had already done an appraisal with the other mortgage company. Better Mortgage said I had to do another appraisal. They couldn't use the one that was done. But there was only a week gap. They also said they would reimburse me for up to $500 for the new appraisal but they never did. I followed up a couple of times then the story changed. Other than that, everything else is great. They still ended up being less money.

Thank you for the review!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

I’ve done a couple of mortgages with Better Mortgage. Some of them were for purchases and others were for refinancing. I do some investment properties. This time I did a 30-year fixed loan with them. They have a very simple online process and it took a couple of minutes to fill out the initial application. I was then contacted right away by the originator. They walked me through their process a little bit more and they were constantly in communication with me after closing. It goes through an originator then an underwriter then a processor then through a closer.

I've talked to several representatives. I liked their responsiveness and they were very attentive to make sure that the transaction happened as quickly as possible. Better Mortgage has a good platform for people who do a one-off transaction. You get the lowest rate without any fees at closing or you can buy points that lower your rate. You have the flexibility of viewing those options. The only thing is if I were to get another mortgage with them, their platform doesn't automatically take information from my first application. I would have to refill all the paperwork again from scratch. I gave that feedback to Better Mortgage and they agreed with me. Other than that, I've had a phenomenal experience.

Thank you for the review!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

Better Mortgage's initial quote on the rate wasn't that competitive but they were surprisingly aggressive and were working with me to get a competitive rate. There were a few different folks that were involved in the process but it was clear when you were being handed off from one individual to the next. You had that one contact person that you could go to via email or schedule a time to speak with them. That was helpful. The process was fairly quick. Everything that Better Mortgage did was good. But we had circumstances so we took quite a bit longer, but there was nothing against Better Mortgage from a timing perspective.

Thank you for the review!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

I was told Better Mortgage had the best rates and they would match anything that was out there. I couldn't go wrong. Overall, the process is simple. The part that potentially could be improved is when you originally apply, they don't necessarily give you the best rates even though your credit profile and your situation are top of the line. In my case, the rates they were displaying on Bankrate and other websites weren't necessarily the same that was offered to me initially. But if you place a call out to their customer service, they'll make it right.

When looking for a lender, the most important thing is that I'm getting the best price and that the process is simple and straightforward. Refinances can take months on end. With Better Mortgage, they have it down to two to four weeks which is painless relative to other big banks. One of the things I've been laughing about is Quicken Loans which is the nation's largest lender. Their rates are a whole percentage point higher than most lenders on average. Generally, I recommend Better Mortgage. I just tell people to watch the rate and be ready to speak up if something doesn't look right.

Better Mortgage response

Hi Wilmette, thank you for the honest review. We are sending your feedback to our team to help us improve in the future.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2021

Don't do business with Better. Horrible experience. Underwriters are vague in their requests. Hard to get your questions answered. You're always directed to your loan team which is just the loan office who takes beatings for the crappy underwriting process. Asked to talk to manager to get issue resolved. One wasn't available. Application and approval process are quick and easy, but once it goes to underwriting the hell begins. Don't do it.

Better Mortgage response

Hi Keith, I'm so sorry to hear this - please reach out to us at support@better.com if you'd like to discuss further.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

I'm not normally one to write long reviews, but if I can save just one person from having an experience like mine, I have to in this case. Better.com is the worst kind of digital company. They want all of the cost savings associated with being an online only originator, but don't deliver at all on the experience. Be prepared for ridiculous delays (we will get back to you within 24 hours claim is a joke), being forced to submit the same documentation over and over again with no explanation, and in the end having random decisions with no reasonable explanation.

I applied with high credit score and 15 year employment history with the same company. The mortgage amount was less than my annual income and I have more than enough cash in the bank to pay it off. For this low risk case, they somehow managed to drag out the process for four months. The low point for me was having to submit the same form for the fifth time after having it repeatedly rejected with no explanation (it was finally revealed that I had to check a box with a pen rather than typing an x on the computer). After uncountable similarly frustrating experiences, I thought I had finally emerged from their torturous process when I got my approval notification and a task to schedule my closing. How wrong I was! They follow this up with a text saying that they will now not move forward with my loan. Their stated reason: I travel too much for work. After 4 months, and close to $600 spent I still have no mortgage and no legitimate explanation as to why.

Better Mortgage response

Hi Derrick, I'm so sorry to hear this - please reach out to us at support@better.com if you'd like to discuss further.

Better Mortgage Company Information