4.1/5 (383 ratings)

Lock in your rate

Rates are expected to jump after the next Fed meeting

Author picture
Written by
Edited by

About Better Mortgage

Better Mortgage (NMLS #330511) offers an online mortgage lending program in all states except Nevada. Borrowers can get preapproval from the company in as little as three minutes. The lender doesn’t charge lender fees or incentivize its officers with commissions, and it has a referral discount program for its customers.

Pros

• No lender fees or commissions
  • 100% online application
  • Matches competitor offers
  • On-time closing guarantee

Cons

• No VA or USDA loans
  • No construction loans

Bottom Line

Better specializes in a digital mortgage application process with no lender fees or commissions. You can see a personalized quote for a conventional or FHA loan in seconds and get preapproved in just a few minutes. There is a 620 minimum credit score requirement.

Better Mortgage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Better Mortgage?

Original review: Nov. 17, 2022

For the most part, it was a good experience with Better Mortgage. They were the most consistent with their support and on the loan and under the terms in which I was most comfortable with. The process was a lot more extensive than when I filed for a loan over 27 years ago and that has to do with validation that the applicant is qualified for the loan and not taking on undue financial burden they can't cover. But as a whole, they did a very good job of keeping me abreast of what was necessary to close the loan. Even though I had minimal debt compared to my overall net worth, closing out on some of the accounts and trying to get that information to Better Mortgage online was a little challenging. But at the end of the day, I was able to do it. I maybe was a little frustrated because I wasn't used to having to do that in the past.

There were other lenders who I was working with who were asking similar questions. It's just a matter, at that point, of the process being brick and mortar versus online. It was probably more me not recognizing the challenges and the changes that have occurred since 2008 to the process. But at the end of the day, the loan was within the parameters I wanted to finance the place. It was done in a timely manner and when I went to closing, it was easy-breezy. So, whatever challenges I found during the process, on the back end, when it came time to close, based on me doing a lot of stuff electronically, the closing took a lot less time. So that part was rewarding. At the end of the day, it was a good process.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2022

The initial setup with Better Mortgage was very easy. The only hiccup was there were some questions, because I had a large sum of money that entered my bank account in the window of their examination, and it's because I had sold my home in Texas. So, for some reason, we couldn't get on the same page of what kind of documentation they needed to be okay with that in underwriting. I kept getting these cryptic messages inside the webpage like they need something and I would send them what I thought they were asking for, and then they would repeat the same message.

There was a human being who was calling me and helping me along. I eventually emailed him and asked him to talk to underwriting and get back to me in a full formed human generated sentence with what they need. And he sorted that out. He called underwriting and got back to me and told me why they were rejecting what I have sent so far and that they needed to see this specific page. Other than that, everything else was super seamless. The way Better Mortgage could auto import your W-2 off the web and bank statements was awesome because I had to upload very few documents. It could pull almost everything automatically from banking websites and that was so cool.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2022

I never had any hard situation with Better Mortgage and I'm very happy with the process with my house. I recommend this company for those who are looking for mortgage.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2022

I got a standard loan from Better Mortgage and I was able to buy my house. The process was all online and the loan was approved in under one month. The current system is good and the reps are mostly available.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2022

Better Mortgage is a good company. The employees are working very hard and are also very professional to answer all kinds of questions. My representative is very patient. It's always very easy to find her. I can chat with her because there's a lot of questions. The follow-up emails are very quick. However, after the loan has been done and the escrow amount was transferred to my mortgage payment, the escrow amount was not correct. There are some communication issues with the title company.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2022

I was working with another lender, but I was having a bad experience. I ran my credit with Better and I had a few other options. Better matched the rate and had better on the closing costs. They have a very quick process to get tasks executed to keep it moving. One thing was when I joined, they were going through some shifts internally. I started with one representative, then the person he laddered up to was on it. Then I got rotated to my last one, which was the third person by the end of the process.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2022

Everything went well. The application process was very user-friendly, intuitive, simple, and very organized. The cash offer program gave us upper hand getting our house. I’m happy that we used Better Mortgage.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2022

I sent Better Mortgage a quote that I got and they made it better. They require a lot of documentation but the application process was simple. If you have all your documents available, it's straightforward. They give you a quote and are ready to talk to you and explain the process. I crossed two loans with them. In one of them, the seller was difficult. We had to extend it a couple of days but they were willing to work with me. However, I got transferred to different people. I was working with this person and unaware the next time, my file had been updated to a different person. I kept on reaching out to the old person. But anytime I got in touch with the person, they were very communicative and they explained everything to me.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2022

The process with Better was the most straightforward process. You go into the site, and it tells you what you still have to do. I like it much better than 30 years ago when I got a mortgage in person and had to do all that stuff. Better's innovation is excellent. I always am cursing at online things because they're doing something dumb. But I don't remember a single thing wrong with Better.

I was very happy with the process. They don't dirt you around. The rate that I saw on the site when I first went on was the rate that I ended up getting. In mortgage, there are a lot of chances to tack on nonsense fees, but with Better, there was no extra fee or anything added in. There was no surprise anywhere reading through all the fine print. I kept waiting for a gotcha, but there was none. There was one minor hiccup, but in a couple days, it resolved itself. The issue was just having to get stuff to approval, then another phone call, then having to physically deliver more stuff. It was a lot longer than online, coming home every day, clicking on the site and seeing that they need this bill or information for this bank account.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2022

They did a very good job with getting all the paperwork done in time. I was happy with how they followed through on the process. I liked their website which kept telling what the tasks were. If I didn't follow up, they called me. They were also available via chat if I had any questions. I had a good experience.

Better Mortgage response

Hi Divya - thank you for your review. We are glad to hear you had a good experience and would love the opportunity to work with you or your loved ones again in the future.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2022

I loved working with Better Mortgage because everything is systematic. Most of the time, I do not have to talk to anyone. I just open the portal. In terms of uploading the document, everything was crystal clear on the website. The only thing I would have liked to see, that what is happening with the current rate. They have all my information and credit. I have booked for this rate, but currently this rate is going on. I had to create another profile and check. I just wanted to see.

I just started searching at the time I got the pre-qualified and then got pre-approval. The closing happened in 60 days. The thing is some of the stuff I did not know, and people thought that I should have known that it's like that. For example, the closure was prepared. And I got the automatic email, and my lawyer waited on me to give him that. But Better thought that they have given me that and I was waiting on them. But I did not know that that was the document I have to give to my lawyer. And it took a lot of time.

Everything was fine in terms of communication. In the initial period, my contact manager was available every time. But later, she became very busy, so some of the time she was not able to pick the call up. But I understand that the company might be short-staffed so I started communicating on email. And at the end, there was some issue with the bank not clearing the loan. My lawyer said, "Until and unless the bank gives me the go ahead, I cannot do anything." And that got delayed. It took 24 hours more to close. If I had delayed further, I would have been penalized. So I, it was a mistake of bank. But for me, it's Better's mistake. So, I just contacted Better. They tried everything and the bank eventually cleared it. All the people were very kind and helpful.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for your review, Pranav. We are truly sorry to hear you ran into any difficulty during your home financing journey and your feedback on the matter will be shared with senior leadership to improve upon for the future. We would love the opportunity to work with you or your loved ones once again in the future.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2022

The online application process with Better Mortgage seemed quick and I was pre-approved immediately for way more than I can afford, which seems weird. It was a little predatory. At first, I had a guy named Tony and he was great, friendly, knowledgeable and accessible. But then, I couldn't get ahold of him. He was supposed to send me something and he didn't. He wasn't getting back to me so I sent a rude message to the Better Mortgage people and they called me immediately.

The rep apologized and told me that she was just assigned to my account and my previous loan officer was no longer with the company. She said they were gonna have to redo all of the paperwork because it has to have her name on it. Then, she said it was not letting us get set up in the system correctly with her name. So, after I signed everything with her, I had to work with a third person. I had three in a matter of 48 hours and so I had to redo the paperwork twice with each new loan officer's name on it. The application and the underwriting process took maybe five weeks but that’s not necessarily their fault. My seller needed to keep pushing my closing date so we had to keep updating their information.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for your review, Amanda. It pains us to hear you ran into any difficulty during your journey and do appreciate your feedback on the matter. We will be sharing your experience with senior leadership to works towards improving our processes for the future. If you would like to provide additional feedback please email clientsatisfaction@better.com and one of our Client Advocates will happily assist in addressing any of your concerns.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2022

The online application process was fairly straightforward and the user interface was good. Everything was fairly clear. I like the little information boxes that could explain more. The tasks were a nice way to track what we needed to do next. We’re first-time homebuyers, so it was nice to have the easy mode to navigate. We started shopping in late July and we had everything in their hands fairly quickly. So we were able to put an offer on a house in August and then closed on September 9th. We worked with a couple of different reps, which was not optimal. But it went fine. Working with Better Mortgage made the home buying process much easier.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for your review, Eileen! We appreciate your feedback on this experience and would love the opportunity to work with you or your loved ones again in the future.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2022

The application process with Better Mortgage was easy. It's very convenient. I was able to send in everything electronically and it worked out good. I work a lot so it was nice not to have to go somewhere to do all the paperwork and sit down somewhere. It's just some of the options at the end would have been better. You can get float-down options with a more conventional lender and that would have been nice because I got locked in in one of the high peaks and then immediately, it dropped a whole point a whole week later. But the reps always got back to me and they were easy to get ahold of. You could text them or email them whenever something was coming up.

Better Mortgage response

Hello Richard, thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback on this experience and would love the opportunity to work with you again in the future.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2022

Better Mortgage has a portal online and you could upload all your documents. It was very user-friendly and easy to use. It would notify you if you had tasks to do. The only snafu I had during the whole process was when we went to closing. I'm on the East Coast and they're on the West Coast, and we ended up waiting an hour at the title office because they weren't open yet. The nice part is we could do stuff late in the evening because they were still working. My mortgage loan officer, Justin, was amazing. And everybody was super-duper attentive. Throughout the whole process, they ask you before you even thought about it. It was a great experience and Better Mortgage was excellent. They were on top of everything.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for the review, Erin. We are grateful to know our interface made for a smooth experience and that your loan team was offering you high level support. We appreciate your additional feedback and do hope to get the opportunity to work with you again in the future!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2022

My experience with Better Mortgage was pretty good. Everything went through okay and was pretty smooth. I don't have problems with any of the people that were in charge on the team to purchase my home. It was very comfortable to just call their reps, and the way that they have all these people on the weekends was good.

Better Mortgage response

Hello Martha - thank you for your review! We are so glad to hear you had such a positive experience with us and would love the opportunity to work with you or your loved ones again in the future!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2022

Working with them was great. I was able to get information and identify a home very quickly. They worked through enough on the realtor side but also with the mortgage part. They let me know the steps that I needed to take in order to be able to get a mortgage and walked me through quickly. If there was something that they needed, they reached out to me and I was able to get that information.

While I could complain about the rates, it was good going through them and rates are just high in general. Their rates were a little better than some of the banks I reached out to. Other than that, we closed on time and with everything we needed. I really appreciated their communication with me.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for your review, Jenny. We are so glad to hear you had such a positive experience and would love the opportunity to work with you or your loved ones again in the future!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2022

I've faced so many issues since the time I applied with Better Mortgage. They have many issues going on with their company. There was never any single point of contact working on my application process. Over the span of the process, I worked with four different individuals. They're not up to speed on my application. Also, I used to struggle a lot to get a hold of them to know the status of my application. Also, they ordered the appraisal late and because of my appraisal getting less, I had a tough time. I had to put down more for the closing cost for which I am not prepared.

Also, you have to do a wire transfer before 24 hours based on the closing addendum. They will send you the final closing cost document and you have to transfer the amount to the title company before you go to the closing of the house. They gave me the amount and by the time I went to the closing, they changed the document and it was showing a different amount. I have to come back to my home because I cannot close on my house. Also, I cannot withdraw my application because the interest rates were very high by the time my closing date came. So, I have to go with them. Unfortunately, it was not a smooth experience for me with Better Mortgage. I was not satisfied.

Better Mortgage response

Hello Pranith, thank you for your review. We are truly sorry to hear you embraced any difficulty during your home financing journey and would like to hear more of what transpired. Please email clientsatisfaction@better.com and one of our Client Advocates would like to assist in addressing your concerns. We hope to hear from you soon.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

My experience was fairly easy. Documents that were needed were clearly stated on the website portal that I had to log in to. But every time I logged in, it was a little funky. When I click the dashboard, it would cycle through a couple of times and the login screen would show up again, disappear, and come up again. Then I would finally get to see my dashboard. Some of the website stuff needs to be polished a bit.

Other than that, Cory, my loan officer, was really easy to get ahold of. I only had to set an appointment to talk with him once about how things will proceed and he was good about that. He was also good about answering emails and texts.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

The process was smooth. They were very professional and everyone kept me in the loop which I appreciated. I got a fair rate. I recommend Better Mortgage. Everyone on that team will get a positive review from me.

Better Mortgage response

Thanks so much for your review, Keith! We are so grateful to hear the process was smooth for you. If there is anything we can assist you with in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

I got a 30-year fixed and conventional loan. It was simple and they were able to help me. They doing whatever things I was kinda lost at for me. The online process was easy and the questions were simple. It made it a little easier. The process was fast and the rep I worked with, Sonya, was super easygoing. It felt like I was talking to a friend and I was comfortable. It made it a lot easier for me to make the jump and go through with closing. But it would have been nice to be able to talk about what kind of down payment would be better for me to do. I had to guess my own down payment a lot just to choose what will work for me.

Better Mortgage response

Hi Leonardo - thank you for your review! We appreciate your feedback on the overall process and will be sure to share your thoughts with senior leadership. In the future, we would love the opportunity to support you along in your home financing journey once again!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

Their rep Tony was very good. The process was fast. They were done in two weeks. The good thing is that I can choose my own rates. I don't have to wait for anybody else and I can can see how much I have to pay if I buy credits in front. That's fantastic.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you so much for your review, Subir! We are so grateful to hear you had a positive experience and would love the chance to work with you again in the future!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2022

Better Mortgage is great. I like it. They are very quick and precise, and concentrated on the work they are doing. The rate has to be reduced though.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for your review, Sung! We are grateful to hear the overall experience has been positive. Please reach out to our customer advocates at clientsatisfaction@better.com if you need any additional support! We are all here to help.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

I spent a lot of time googling and researching online, and at the time I was looking at it, Better Mortgage had the smoothest process and best rates and they had pretty good reviews. It was a little dicey because they had some stuff about them online about there'd been a big layoff. It didn't sound like it was handled very well last year, but for the most part, most of the reviews were good. Casey was awesome. I was able to text or email him. He was always really responsive. The communication with Casey was great, but sometimes the stuff we got back from the underwriter was kind of confusing. Casey was able to explain some of that though. The whole process was going really fast, but then I accepted a new job. So, it took a few weeks until I got my first paycheck from the new job, and then we closed it. The delay was on me. It worked out.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for your review, Michael! We are so glad to hear Casey and your loan team were able to offer you the high level support you deserve throughout the process. In the future, we would love the opportunity to work with you or your loved ones once again!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2022

I'm an American Express customer and they had an offer with Better Mortgage so I took advantage of the offer. Working with Better Mortgage was great. I was able to get my pre-approval the same day that I signed up. I was able to modify my pre-approval letter as needed. The whole experience was pretty seamless. Their representatives were really friendly and helpful. I was able to contact them at any time. They were really responsive.

Better Mortgage response

Hi Johnny, thank you for your review! We are so happy to hear Better was able to offer you a seamless online experience. In the future, we hope to get the opportunity to work with you or your loved ones once again!

Original review: Sept. 3, 2022

Better Mortgage reps are equipped to answer all questions so it was nice. I've gone to a couple of banks to try to get a loan and they all turn you down right away and tell you things you gotta get. Even though Better requires many of the same things, they were a lot more willing to work with you than a traditional bank. Elliott, the rep, was very quick to answer questions, even when I texted them. The response was very fast and professional. He was trained well because he knew and if he didn't know, he would ask someone and find out within the same day for me. The process took 35 days. It was from the beginning of July through August 5th. We could have closed earlier, the last week of July, but then I would have to change my homeowner's insurance. I already have homeowner's insurance that started on the 5th, so I didn't want to go through the hassle of changing that. I just continued with that closing date even if I could've closed earlier.

Better Mortgage response

Hi Shay, thank you for the review! We are grateful to hear Better has been able to meet your needs and support you along in your home financing journey. We would love the opportunity to work with you or your loved ones again in the future!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2022

Working with Better Mortgage was great and I started a new application yesterday. The portal is easy and you just upload everything. People don't keep calling you all the time and ask for documents. It’s simple and everything's just there. The process was a little bit slow though after I provided all the documentation. To get the final approval was a bit longer than other companies that I already worked with. But the communication was great. Even with chat people or with the loan originator was completely fine. I strongly recommend Better Mortgage.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for your review, Luiz! We are glad to hear the overall process has been smooth and that you have began a new application with us. Please email clientsatisfaction@better.com to connect with one our customer advocates who would like to work to ensure you continue to receive the high level of support you deserve. We hope to hear from you soon!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2022

I tried to go through a credit union because I heard that they might have lower rates. They took so long to get back to me. I went to a mortgage company and the rep was very prompt but their rates were higher. The process with Better Mortgage, on the other hand, was very seamless. I was very surprised. The application was super easy. I liked their website and how it was organized. It lets you know exactly what you need to do and when. The woman I talked to on the phone was the one who initially set me up. She assigned me over to a guy and he wasn't the best communicator. It was really hard to get ahold of him. He went on leave and another guy came in. He was great.

The rates I got were great too. I had enough cash to put down to lower the rate to something that was doable, given the market right now. I was pleasantly surprised at that. Theirs was a point better than the mortgage company for the same amount of cash down. The only issue I had with Better Mortgage was on the insurance portion. Given the type of loan that they had marked it as when I was trying to get the homeowner's insurance, their insurance guru was so stuck on the type that she wouldn't accept what our insurance company was providing. I knew the previous owner and got her insurance information. We forwarded that to the Better Mortgage person and it took a really long time. Finally, Better Mortgage got in there and worked it out. I was surprised that that was the thing that held everything up the most. Other than that, we closed on time.

Better Mortgage response

Hi Kisha, thank you for your review! Your insight on this experience is extremely valuable and will be shared with senior leadership to recognize where we stand to improve our processes. We are grateful to know we were able to offer you a seamless experience and would love the opportunity to work with you or your loved ones in the future.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2022

The online application process was self-explanatory, and I like that. I've been told my rates and terms were good too. Being my first mortgage, the process was good and it didn't take very long. Dealing with people with stuff like that, this was the best experience I've ever had. If I had any concerns or questions, I get in contact with the reps and let them know. I was impressed with how nice they were. I've seen people deal with something, and they weren't so nice. I’m a homeowner now, and Better Mortgage helped me a lot. I'd use them again.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for your review, Darryl. We are so grateful to hear that you've successfully become a first time homeowner and that our process made the overall experience positive. We would love the opportunity to assist you or your loved ones along in their home financing journeys once again in the future!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2022

The application process with Better Mortgage was very simple and went very smoothly. The total process took under 30 days. Justin, the rep, was great because we could text and he replied back instantly anytime I emailed him. The agent helped a lot with guiding us as far as what type of house we were looking for and what we needed. I was impressed with the responsiveness. This isn't about the rep but the ease of the website with the way the tasks are set up so that you know exactly what is required and you can mark them off as you go. It made it very easy.

Better Mortgage response

Jennifer, Thank you for your positive feedback. Our entire system was designed to make the homeownership process simpler, faster, and overall better for every American. We are happy to hear that you found our approach successful. If you ever need financing in the future, please reach out and we would be happy to assist!

Better Mortgage Company Information