4.5/5 (215 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Leorah Gavidor
Edited by Vincent Landino

About Better Mortgage

Better Mortgage offers an online mortgage lending program for borrowers in all states except Nevada. Preapprovals can be obtained in as little as three minutes. The company doesn’t charge lender fees or incentivize its officers with commissions (meaning they shouldn’t try to sell you a loan larger than you need), and it has a referral discount program for its customers. Better Mortgage changes its rates multiple times per day – check its website regularly to see the most current rate.

Pros

• 100% online application
  • Get preapproved in as little as 3 minutes
  • No lender fees or commissions
  • Matches competitors’ prices

Cons

• No physical locations
  • Not available in Nevada
  • Doesn’t offer VA or USDA loans

Bottom Line

Better specializes in online mortgage applications and approvals with no lender fees or commissions. Though it doesn’t offer VA or USDA loans, it partners with over 25 lenders and investors to help keep rates low.

Better Mortgage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Better Mortgage?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Better Mortgage?

Original review: April 30, 2022

The application process was straightforward. It was mostly digital. There were a couple times where I would have liked some quicker response or a more thorough response, like sometimes the answer was kind of superficial and didn't get to the details I was looking for, but for the most part, it was a positive customer service experience.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for the review, James! We are sending your feedback to the team to help us improve in the future and we would love the chance to work with you or your loved ones again in the future.

Original review: April 29, 2022

I kind of went through Better Mortgage's application process twice. I had an offer on a house and we got almost to the end. Then the buyers wouldn't put something in writing about replacing the roof. I had to walk away from that sale, but in that very first application, I was super impressed. It was super easy. Better's systems work so there wasn't a lot that I had to send in. I was expecting to have to send in a lot more documentation but their software did everything. I just had to verify a few things. It was super helpful. I like the task aspect of things. The notifications were good.

I'm still in the market again for a house. Then I had to redo a few things. This time, there was an extra. I had to take some kind of a course for home buying. So, that was a little bit different. I felt like that was a little bit weird because I had just gone through the process a couple of months before. But overall, I was very impressed by the application process and the ease of it.

I worked with a couple of different sets of representatives. I had one set of people that I was working with through all the stuff in November. Then I started to work with some of them the second time around, but it felt like there were a lot more hands touching it the second time around right before I bought this house. Better was also going through some restructuring during that timeframe from what I could read in the media. It was a little bit weird on that end because then once I was done with all my loan documents and everything was set, I felt like there wasn't a good transition to my closing agents with Better. Because everything had been all documented and through email and very formal and suddenly, I started getting phone calls. I felt like the guy didn't introduce himself well. It even lists what your preferences are, and I felt like he wasn't abiding by that. I would get random phone calls from him.

I had done all of my due diligence getting to closing and I felt like I didn't need anything. I don't understand why he was checking in on me so frequently. At the end, he was like, "It's my understanding that all the tasks are completed. There's nothing else for me-- unless you need something from me.” “I'm not sure why you're calling me so frequently. Like is everything okay? Do you need something else?” “Oh, no, I was just calling to see if you needed anything from us.” We were off by 10 cents. It was a very weird set of circumstances because I called since we were off 10 cents. That's what I was told. I got an email from the title company that said, "It's off 10 cents." Better had not sent in the updated disclosure.

I was the first signing of the day. I was upset that when I called and I asked for the person, they were like, "Oh, he's out today." At the same time, my Realtor called and they were like, "Oh, he's not at his desk, but he's available." I didn't appreciate that and it was like a lot of back and forth. We were on the phone with Better for almost an hour and a half between the two of us to get that squared away. I was like, “My loan is already prefunded. I provided everything. We're literally sitting here waiting for Better to get this just squared away.” That was a super weird way to end the transaction because everything has been so flawless and seamless, and they had great communication but when it came to closing at that transition point, it was very awkward. I would still recommend Better. That last piece was just super weird. It did not match up at all to the level of customer service that I'd gotten all the way throughout in both transactions.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you so much for leaving your detailed feedback here Julissa. This is extremely valuable information that we can bring back to our teams for improvement. We are sorry to hear about the communication troubles with your advisor later in the process. That said, we are so glad you were able to meet your financial goals at the end of the day. We would love the opportunity to show you a better experience so please do not hesitate to reach back out in the future. We hope you have a wonderful year ahead!

Original review: April 28, 2022

It was a fine and very efficient experience with Better Mortgage. Their rates were also very competitive. They were the best I could find. Their online process was very well-developed and thought out. It has a to-do list that keeps track of things that are pending, the things that I need to do and the status of them back with Better Mortgage. That worked very well. The rep I worked with was also very good and responsive. If I posed a question to her, I got a quick response and follow-through was good.

Better Mortgage response

Hello John, thanks so much for taking the time to leave us a review here. It is great to hear that we were able to provide you with such a smooth experience and that your team was highly communicative. We would love the opportunity to work with you or your loved ones again in the future!

Original review: April 27, 2022

The worst mortgage company, First, they are not honest, and they don’t keep their promises. They say that they have an appraisal guarantee program if you use their Better real estate agent, and then if the appraisal comes back lower than the asking price they will ask you to pay the difference. This appraisal guarantee program is fake. If you get an advisor he/she never calls. They never follow up, you have to keep calling them to keep the process going otherwise you miss your closing date. They keep asking to upload the same documents over and over again. It’s exhausting to deal with this company. They are unexperienced, they can’t do simple calculations, they just add all numbers together without any consideration for other factors. The worst part is they close your account and then delete your application, and deny your loan without even call and letting you know.

Better Mortgage response

Hello Fatima, thank you for sharing your review. It pains us to hear about the experience you had working with your loan team here at Better. This is not the way we do business and we would love to look further into things to see how we could have improved the process for you. Please feel free to reach our support team at clientsatisfaction@better.com. We hope to hear from you soon!

Original review: April 27, 2022

Better Mortgage came out on top with the rates which we could afford as well as discounts. They didn’t have any kind of origination fees. So, that was beneficial for us to make a decision. There were two loan officers. One of them did the initial. Later on, the loan was transferred to an actual officer who oversaw it until disbursement. The entire process was very smooth. They kept me appraised with what step I’m on, as well as what documents are required. They kept emailing me. It was very easy to work with them. So much better than any other company which I was in contact with.

I liked the rate table. When I tried to look for other places, if they provided a rate table, that was not the case. I was given just one flat out rate based on the amount of down payment I would make. And if I made more down payment, the rate was down. But how much down payment I had to make for me to accept the rate was not clear. So when Better Mortgage gave me that kind of table, as well as lowered the rate percentage, they had discounts, which was unheard of, that I liked. And that lowered our closing cost. So, that was very helpful. The rates were good, better than competitors in the entire market. So, it was a no-brainer.

Better Mortgage's doing business is good, what they’re providing is good, as well as how they’re competing with other market vendors like Rocket Mortgage and all sorts who are also online. If they keep doing the same way, they’re gonna do good in this space. Because brick-and-mortar is very 2010. They need to improve on to online lenders, which don’t have these origination fees, which should not be paid by the consumer. Just because you have your business, it’s your fault to manage that kind of cost. You should not tack it on to consumer to pay for your salary.

That’s the kind of thing which I don’t see in Better Mortgage, and that makes their cost very low. So, as long as they’re managing that, I like the process. They recently pushed our loan to the other bank, FirstBank, who will manage the loan amount and payments moving forward. That was very quick as well. The process was good, the people are nice. And the cost is affordable to get a house in this economy.

Better Mortgage response

Hello Shubham, thank you so much for providing such insightful feedback on your experience. Your thoughts will be shared with proper leadership for additional review as well. We are very grateful to know this experience has met your expectations and hope to get the opportunity to work with you or your loved ones again in the future!

Original review: April 26, 2022

Throughout the process, three of my loan officers were laid off and I got bounced around a bit. And that's just what's going on in the industry nowadays. Everyone lays off people. So, it's like a bag and save, where if you do your own mortgage, you save some money. So, I was very happy with the rate, being as I know the job and I know what I’m doing, it was easy for me to get the mortgage done. But there was a lack of confidence on a lot of loan officers' end. It was them not knowing the answers right away. Lack of experience. And more of probably dealing with a call center instead of a personal touch, the experienced person, like myself, that I’ve been doing for 15 years. I had to guide them on what they need to tell the underwriter.

There was discomfort that my loan would end up screwed up somehow, or I would lose my rate and be repriced where the current market was because of some random technically. Their rates beat my rate, but it’s like dealing with a bunch of people to get to the actual answers. We had a 30-day close. We made sure we had all our ducks in a row, and there were no hiccups or problems. But that's because my file was super easy. I had a very low debt to income. I was one of those slam dunk easy loans. There was a bit of incompetence on some of my initial reps. But all those people are laid off. Better still owes me 550 bucks for my appraisal. My last officer, Tiffany, said it would be refunded back right after closing, but it has been a month now. But she was good and followed up in a timely manner.

Better Mortgage response

Hi Michael, thank you for taking the time to leave your review. While we appreciate your expertise contributing to a smoother experience, we recognize there are areas for our teams to improve and sincerely appreciate your feedback on the matter. Regarding the status of your appraisal deposit refund, please email clientsatisfaction@better.com so our teams can look further into this.

Original review: April 25, 2022

I got in contact with them and an agent called me afterwards. I got the online task and I was able to reply to them and upload information. I did everything they wanted within two days and it took them two weeks to get things done. Communication was really good. They were always responsive.

Better Mortgage response

Hello Arturo, thank you so much for leaving some feedback here. We would love the chance to work with you again some time in the future.

Original review: April 24, 2022

Everything was pretty easy. As soon as I input my information, they got back to me. The whole process took the 30 days that it should take to close on a house. I had to buy down the rate but it was okay.

Better Mortgage response

Hello Jennifer, thanks so much for sharing your review. We are so glad we could help you meet your financial goals but sorry to hear about the unexpected buy down. If there is anything we can look into or help you with in the future, please feel free to reach us at clientsatisfaction@better.com

Original review: April 23, 2022

I got a 30-year fixed loan and everything was great. They're on time and on target. Every communication was seamless. I never had to wait for any information. Every time I called, they were very easy to get in contact with. This is the smoothest experience I've had in a long time with financial transactions regarding a home. The closing was super quick as well and everything was guaranteed and delivered.

Better Mortgage response

What a great review to receive! Thank you Tom. We would love the opportunity to work with you or your loved ones again in the future.

Original review: April 22, 2022

There were a couple of things that got mixed up. My real estate agent was told one night that if we completed a certain task that day, we would close on a specific date. Better Mortgage turned around the next day and said something completely different. They said we had to push the closing out by a week. It was okay but not ideal. Other than that, working with them wasn't too bad. Still, go with somewhere more local.

Better Mortgage response

Thanks so much for leaving your review Corbin. Sorry to hear about the conflicting information you received from the agent and loan team. We aim to provide each of our clients with a seamless and transparent experience, and we are sorry if this was not the case for you. If there is anything we can assist you with in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Original review: April 21, 2022

The process was friendly and straightforward. I received a prequalification within an hour. Once I logged in the interest rate with them, they asked for different documentation which I provided. My reps were helpful. They were available at any point in time. If my loan officer was not available, there is some other loan officer who would pitch in and I would still get my answers.

They surprised me in every dimension positively. The service was impeccable. I would recommend them to anyone who asks me about them. The process was super smooth and they gave me an amazing deal. I got five different rates from five different lenders. And Better Mortgage's offer blew even the second-best offer by a big margin. We were very aggressive because we wanted to close within three and a half weeks and they were ready for it. So, I was very happy with everything.

Better Mortgage response

Thanks so much for leaving your review here Ankit. We really appreciate your feedback and are so glad we could help you meet your financial goals. If there is anything we can help you with in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out!

Original review: April 20, 2022

Everything went smoothly. The rep I worked with was responsive at all hours of the day. Sometimes I would send off a message in the afternoon and still got a response that afternoon. They were on the other side of the country three hours behind us and it was impressive.

Better Mortgage response

Hi Marcus, we are so glad we could provide such a smooth experience. If there is anything we can do to help you or your loved ones in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out!

Original review: April 19, 2022

My experience with them was easy. They have the online portal. It was straightforward and clear. There was a change in my rep in the middle of the process which created some disconnect. But overall, communication was okay.

Better Mortgage response

Thanks so much for leaving your feedback here. Sorry to hear about the unexpected change of your loan team. We would love to work with you again in the future and show you a better experience.

Original review: April 10, 2022

Working with Better Mortgage was very easy and it was fast. They have a fast turnaround time and I was able to submit everything online. Everything went well.

Better Mortgage response

Hi Diane, we loved working with you. If there is anything we can do for you or your loved ones in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Original review: April 9, 2022

They were really responsive throughout the whole process and made sure that the whole process flowed pretty smooth. Any time I would send them an email or call them, somebody would answer or get back to me really quickly. It took us a while to get the offer accepted on the house but once we had the offer accepted and we applied for the mortgage, getting approved took two weeks or so.

Better Mortgage response

Hi Paul, thank you so much for sharing some of the details from your experience. We would love the opportunity to work with you or your loved ones in the future.

Original review: April 8, 2022

I like their process. It's very streamlined and they're very responsive. Also, everything can be done online. I’m very impressed.

Better Mortgage response

We are so glad we could show you a smooth experience, Vamsi. Don't hesitate to reach back out if we can help you in the future.

Original review: April 7, 2022

Signing up with them was pretty good but it's a trade-off. You'd get a good rate but a lot of hassle. It was like a touch-and-go kind of thing. It was weird. One minute, I'm okay and the next minute, I'm no good. They need to get their vetting process down to where everything isn't such a touch-and-go kind of thing. But other than that, it was fine with their reps.

Better Mortgage response

Hi Brandon, this is extremely helpful feedback. Thanks for taking the time to share. We will pass this along to our leadership team so we can use your file to help improve the process. If there is anything we can help you with in the future, we would love to show you a truly better experience.

Original review: April 6, 2022

Better Mortgage's rates were very competitive and they also offered that $2,000 American Express statement credit. I give their process a 10 of 10 score. I had done some research with other mortgage companies, and the ease of application, with everything being electronic, was fantastic. I could go in at any time and look at the status of our application. I would get email alerts letting me know that there was a new task for me to complete and I could go online and complete that task. It made it so easy for me and helped to expedite the completion of the application and the closing of our deal. I loved that online system.

The rep was super on the phone. He was very responsive. He apparently had team members who he would delegate some things to or who would contact me on his behalf. There seemed to be communication amongst his team. If he wasn't readily available, somebody else was to get back to me. It's a well-oiled machine. I don't know how they did it, but they are a great systems process thinker and I appreciated it. It made the end user have a great experience. The rate was higher than what we were paying before, but we did a cashout so we still have a great rate considering how rates have been over the last 30 years. We're happy with the rate that we have. We were very happy to get a cashout too.

Better Mortgage response

Hello Mary, thank you very much for leaving us a review. We are so glad the team could provide a smooth process. If there is anything we can help you or your loved ones with in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Original review: April 5, 2022

The mortgage officer that I worked with was fantastic. Also, they were really quick on certain stuff and that made the process faster, especially getting the appraisal and things. It was surprising because they already started doing the appraisal even before I decided.

Better Mortgage response

Hi Amila, thanks so much for sharing some details from your experience. We would love the chance to work with you again in the future!

Original review: April 4, 2022

Initially Better was great to work with. They communicated well and was very fast. It wasn't till after the loan was funded the headache began. They do not fund loans. Which makes it so you have to deal with someone else. The money source was problem one. They kept asking for proof of insurance then threatening you with their insurance. This happened multiple times until they sold the loan. Fast forward a year later and I apply for a loan. Come to find out They hadn't removed their name from the loan. Contacted Better for a letter of reconveyance. A week later I get it. Bank kicks it back. Wrong assessor number. Now it's urgent loan has been extended. I convey the urgency as rates have gone up. A week later still no letter and unable to get loan. Contact money source. It was not conveyed to them that this was urgent. Will cost me an additional .25% interest because of this.

Better Mortgage response

Hello Justin, thank you for leaving us such a detailed review. We are sorry to hear about the trouble you have had post-closing with your loan. I see you have been in touch with management within our Servicing Support team and working to get things resolved. We will be sure to pass your file along to the appropriate parties to ensure this is used as a training moment. If you would like to share any more feedback, please feel free to reach our Client Success team at clientsatisfaction@better.com.

Original review: April 1, 2022

I tried to refinance through a different lender and the experience wasn't as good. I gave Better a shot, and it was a very good experience. The guy that helped me out, JJ, was super cool and was very helpful with everything. Throughout the process, everybody did a good job. I liked the way their software was. Since a lot of people use it, it makes it pretty easy with uploading everything via email. Any questions, or worst case, via text or phone call was very smooth and easy. I'm happy with the rate I got and I'm glad I did it then versus today. It's already gone up quite a bit.

Better Mortgage response

Hello Kevin, we appreciate you taking the time to share some of the details from your experience. I will be sure to pass your note along to JJ's manager for review as well. If there is anything we can do to help you or your loved ones in the future, please do not hesitate to reach back out.

Original review: March 31, 2022

Better Mortgage had better pricing and their online application was good and transparent. The representatives were responsive. They would respond via email within a day, so that was good. But the clarification on closing costs could be improved. They changed over time, significantly and no one caught the issue until I pointed it out. It also took a long time to schedule the notary to come out so we could finalize the process.

Better Mortgage response

Hi Tiffany, thank you for sharing your feedback with us here. Sorry to hear about the fluctuation in closing costs throughout the process. We aim to provide each of our clients with a transparent experience and I am sorry if this was not the case for you. We would love the chance to show you a better experience, so please reach out if we can help you with your financial goals in the future.

Original review: March 30, 2022

My experience with Better Mortgage from application to closing was very easy, quick and communicative. I've gone through the process with my current mortgager and it was a nightmare. Stopped the process, and ended up going with Better. It was 3,000 times better. When I needed an answer to something, they immediately answered. Within three weeks, they were ready to close. Customer service always reached out to see if whoever was working on our mortgage was available when I called. If they weren't, I got a call back immediately. The paperwork was also very easy. They explained it very well. The people that worked on my loan were very attentive and understanding. They were always on top of everything for me. I really appreciate what they did.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you so much for leaving a review Laurie. We are so glad to hear the process went well and we could help you meet your financial goals. If there is anything we can do to help you or your loved ones in the future, please do not hesitate to reach back out.

Original review: March 29, 2022

The reps were all helpful, and I love the personal interaction with the people at Better. However, Better Mortgage made too many mistakes. They have pretty good automation of their process. That said, their algorithm failed in a couple of areas and it cost me about 40 basis points on the rate between Friday and Monday when I could reach somebody, which was very unfortunate. The reps knew about the software quirk. When I tried to correct it on that Friday before locking on Monday, everyone said, “Oh, no. That doesn't work.” By the time I finally got my loan officer, she said, “Oh, yeah. There is a problem. And I'll help you work through it.” She was very friendly, but interest rates change daily. They could document and see that I did what I said I was trying to do.

Better Mortgage gave me some compensatory reduction in closing costs to offset part of rate. But at closing, they forgot to write the check so I had to find that they did not make the adjustment to the closing costs in the HUD settlement document and figure out that I was still owed money. I am probably one in 100 people closing a mortgage who would have figured that out.

Better Mortgage response

Hi Michael, thank you very much for leaving us a review. Sorry to hear about the trouble with your pricing and communicating with your loan team. We will be sure to pass this along to our leadership team to use as a coaching moment. If there is anything we can help you with in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Original review: March 28, 2022

It was a good experience with Better Mortgage. The only issue was the title company. It was slow to pay off my home equity loan. I reached out to Better but no one got back to me. I ended up having to make an extra payment and paying some extra interest. But the person that handled my file was top-notch. He got back to me instantly practically with any questions I had. He would text me if I had a question and get back to me. He was very proactive. I was also proactive in answering any questions in the document and it has really worked well together cohesively. The process was simple for me online. Every time they wanted something, I updated it and found that an easy process to go through. We did it very quickly.

The home appraisal company had the incorrect square footage of my home. My home should have appraised higher. They didn't include one room. I was given an option to dispute it but it wasn't worth my time to do it because my loan was still going to be approved if it was higher or not. It didn't affect my loan. I was still paying $500 for the home appraisal but it should have been accurate. But I would have no hesitation recommending Better.

Better Mortgage response

Hi Corey, thank you for leaving us a review here. We are sorry to hear about the trouble you had with the Title company as well as the appraisal process. We are grateful to have had the chance to work with you and would love to do so again in the future. Please do not hesitate to reach out if there is anything we can do to assist you.

Original review: March 27, 2022

Better Mortgage would reply to my email and was on the ball. They didn't lag behind. If I questioned something, they answered promptly. The rep was very present. If you need to contact them, you can arrange it on the calendar. You pick the time, and they would contact you.

Better Mortgage response

Hi Radha, thank you very much for leaving us a review. We are so glad the team could provide a smooth process. If there is anything we can help you with in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Original review: March 26, 2022

I work in a mobile applications, and when I saw Better Mortgage's mobile app, I liked it. Their process was amazingly easy. I was able to do everything through the app. I talked with Scott and he was the reason why I stayed with Better Mortgage. He took time to explain everything to me. I was very happy with the rate too.

Better Mortgage response

Original review: March 25, 2022

Everything was smooth. I was able to do everything online. I was able to contact anyone at any time if I had questions and uploading documents was very easy. The lending process was intimidating, but Better made it a lot easier than it normally would have been. They were very friendly and helpful. I was able to schedule appointments with them easily or even text them at times. I was very happy with everything.

Better Mortgage response

Hello Anisah, thank you very much for leaving us a review. We are so glad the team could provide a smooth process. If there is anything we can help you with in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Original review: March 24, 2022

Better Mortgage has good rates and the process was super easy. They have great customer service too. They returned my call right away, and it was a weekend. They were very helpful and answered my questions.

Better Mortgage response

Hi Evelyn, thanks for sharing your feedback. We are so glad we could show you a smooth home financing experience. If there is anything we can assist you with in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Original review: March 23, 2022

There were fairly no hiccups at all. There was a change in loan officer towards the end but besides that, everything was smooth and quick. They were helpful. If you rather have the ability to do everything there online and get it done yourself, I like that a lot. It's tech-friendly.

Better Mortgage response

Hi Kevin, thank you very much for leaving us a review. We are so glad the team could provide a smooth process. If there is anything we can help you with in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Better Mortgage Company Information