View Rates

2. Mortgages

4.4/5 (130 ratings)

About Better Mortgage

Better offers an online mortgage lending program for borrowers in select states across the nation. The company doesn’t charge lender fees or incentivize its officers with commissions (meaning they shouldn’t try to sell you a loan larger than you need), and it has a referral discount program for its customers.

Pros

• Referral discount program
  • No lender fees or commissions
  • No prepayment penalty

Cons

• Not available in all areas
  • VA and USDA loans not available

Bottom Line

Better specializes in online mortgage applications and approvals with no lender fees or commissions. Though it doesn’t offer VA or USDA loans, it partners with over 25 lenders and investors to help find rates to suit you.

Better Mortgage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Better Mortgage?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Better Mortgage?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2021

I refinanced with Better Mortgage and it went great. When I went to buy my second home, my Realtor recommended a different company and I ended up going with his recommendation but it was probably a mistake. I should have used Better Mortgage again.

Thank you for the review!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2021

My overall experience with Better Mortgage, including the website experience and all the technologies that have been put in place nowadays, was phenomenal. My only issue was with my closing officer. I was repeatedly telling her that I wanted to move my closing date from what I had entered on the very first day of online application by two days because I had some serious constraints that required that adjustment. She didn't communicate very well throughout that process of pulling in the closing date by two days. Then she wrongly gave me the impression that yes, everything has been taken care of but it was not. We had to scramble with so many changes at the last minute.

It was a very stressful experience. I found everything very lame that a mortgage company cannot provide some flexibility on the closing date. I gave so much heads up that I needed to change my date. That was almost six weeks in advance, but still, the company couldn't enable the new date which was October 21st. It finally closed on the 22nd after a lot of scrambling and that one-day move was also a huge issue on my end. I had my corporate move and everything was tied to that date.

Better Mortgage response

Hi Bhanu, I'm so sorry to hear this - please reach out to us at support@better.com if you'd like to discuss further.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

Everything with Better Mortgage's rep was really good, smooth and pretty simple. Also, uploading forms online is simple as just saving it and dropping and filing it.

Thank you for the review!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

I’ve supposedly closed a cash out refi, but here we are 17 days after signing with the notary and still no disbursement of funds. I’m now overdue on my former (or is it still my current?) mortgage payment as I was expecting it to be paid off well within the grace period. Also, the cash-out disbursement has not been made. This is completely unacceptable. I am now looking into recourse for this whole debacle.

Better Mortgage response

Hi Steve, I'm so sorry to hear about this but thank you for letting me know. Can you send us an email at support@better.com so we can help resolve this?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

Better Mortgage had a promotion for Amex card holders where they were giving a statement credit away to people who refinance with them. That was very persuasive for me. Working with them was great. Everything was really transparent and easy. The automated process was fantastic. The rates are great and that was a big part of it. I really love that they gave me an option to not put stuff in escrow and to do that myself, which other refinancers couldn't really do. The user-experience online was great, and they were really good about assigning me tasks to complete and do all that simply. Overall, I was impressed with the ease of what could be a very complicated process and the great money saving. I'm happy with the rate and the terms.

Thank you for the review!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

At the end, I feel much better with Better Mortgage than during most of the time. There were a lot of delays and there were a lot of different issues that came up that took time to resolve. Then there was a period of time when I didn’t really know what was going on, and my assigned customer advocate wouldn’t always know. At some point during the process, the person I have been working with got a promotion, and I got a new person. The new person was able to push that along, to my surprise, because I pretty much lost hope and had actually started a process with another lender to get the refinance done. I didn't have the confidence they could get it done because of all the problems. They were asking for documentation that I don't think they should have. But the last person was able to fill the missing pieces and get everything going.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for the review! Please let us know if you'd like to discuss further at support@better.com.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2021

The process with Better Mortgage was easy, and I could do it after hours when they were closed. It was nice. I did the application while I was on the phone with them one day. They said, “Hey, could you do this for us real quick?” The whole thing was over and done in a month. We must have started around the 1st of July, and beginning of August, we were done. The reps were fabulous. I could send them emails. They understood that my husband and I were both educators, and they would send us things where they knew they could reach us then we could respond back. Normally, it was in the evening and regardless of which step we were in, there was always somebody that was there to respond or help us.

The only frustrating part for me was the fact that as soon as it was done, before I could pay the first bill, my loan had been sold somewhere else. Not only was it sold once, it was sold twice. That was a bit crazy. It went from Better to The Money Source to Mr. Cooper. As soon as I was getting it set up for one, then it was time to set it up somewhere else. I didn’t love that. Other than that, Better Mortgage was simple and it was almost like I had to just follow the dots.

Thank you for the review!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2021

I had a phone call with the loan officer and a couple emails back and forth with the loan processor. It was brief, for the most part, but they were friendly and helpful. I was happy with my interest rate and with getting the cash-out that I got. They removed an adverse market fee for refinances right at the exact same time that I closed. They started reimbursing some of those borrowers and removing that market fee. I emailed my closer to ask if my loan qualified for that, and he said that it did not. That was the only thing that I was disappointed about. Overall, I was happy with working with Better Mortgage.

Thank you for the review!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

This company gave us a good mortgage. My husband did everything and he was satisfied, overall. Customer service was good. They addressed our concerns and if we had to wait, they followed up right away.

Thank you for the review!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

I saw Better Mortgage's rate online and I got referred by a buddy of mine. He said he just finished closing on his, and I couldn't pass up the deal. I couldn't find a better rate, at the time. Actually, I found one, but it wasn't gonna compete with Better Mortgage's. Once I had all the information that I needed, everything went smooth. There were a few bumps in the road, but we got the process closed, and everything was good. I talked to the reps many times, especially on the closing process. Taylor and I kept in contact. Everything was phenomenal working with her.

Thank you for the review!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

It was easy to do everything online. The process took not even over a month. But it all worked out. It was quick. I'm working on a HELOC with a different online one. Better Mortgage is way ahead with their tasks and how they task me with things to get done. The process was more streamlined, the website was easier to navigate, and people were quick in responding to me.

Thanks, Brett!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

The process was mostly done online and if I had questions, I was able to call the person that was doing it, Anthony. It was super easy and everything was quick. Even though we were kind of in COVID and stuff, everything went smoothly.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for the review, Christina! We loved working with you.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2021

The process was all online. I put my information and they gave me the rate that they can. It was very streamlined. Then, they asked for what they needed and I scanned it and gave it to them. We were really happy with the ease of everything. Also, their reps weren't pushy, they answered all of my questions, and they were honest with us. Once we did it, there were no surprises.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for the review, Lianna!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2021

With Better Mortgage, there was a credit towards closing. The interest rate was good and there were some incentives there. I talked to my account rep about the rate that I wanted. I wanted a lower rate, but then I was looking at the upfront cost associated with that rate. So, I went with the higher rate. After that, I was assigned another person to help coordinate it. Everything was done online, and they would tell me what I needed to do, what forms and documents I needed to upload, and I would go back and forth with that.

The application and underwriting process went pretty quickly. It was only a few weeks between the application and the underwriting once I uploaded the documents. From the time I started until everything was done was only a few weeks. It went pretty rapidly because I had access to the documents that I needed. There were a few things that I had to ask questions about. There were some stuff that they were asking for that I wasn't necessarily sure I was sending the right things, and we'd go back and forth on notes and emails.

It's just that some of the documents that they requested I thought applied to multiple things. On some of the documentation that they were requesting and the questions that were asked, it made me wonder, “Am I sending the same thing twice?” The process itself went relatively smoothly. My biggest issue is after closing. My loan has been transferred two or three times. I sent a note to Better Mortgage, and I'm not getting any responses now.

I've had professional, friendly and quick interactions with the rep. I uploaded all the information on the application, and there was just a couple of questions that he asked to verify. I had initially had some problems with software because I was doing a cash out loan, and the system wouldn’t let me proceed because I didn't have a mortgage company. So, I had to work with Mark to figure out how to get past that issue. The majority of my Q&A were in email. There was a time that I did talk to Akiel because I was concerned about the appraisal. I thought the appraiser made some errors in the documentation. Akiel told me I could go through the appeal process, but that would delay everything.

As far as uploading the document or if I had a question, there was a place in the documentation where I could say, “I've got a question” Usually, I would do that in the evening and by the next morning, they would tell me what I needed to do or to disregard it, or if they have what they needed. They could improve on some of the clarity on some of the questions on the documentations that they were asking for. There was a place in the documentation that you could schedule a phone call with the person that you're working with as far as your loan officer or somebody who happened to close. But those appointments were like three days into the future from the time you really needed it. So, that could have been an improvement.

The other thing was service after closing. It's been pretty much nonexistent. It's like, “Okay, we closed it. We funded it. We sent you a letter saying that we transferred you to one company, and we're pretty much done.” Then from that company, I got another letter saying that they had transferred me to another company. Then I got a letter two weeks later from the FHA saying that they have bought the loan, and they gave me the name of a different servicing company. So, I'm sitting here going, “I'm not sure who I'm supposed to be paying this mortgage.” They had said initially that they do sell your mortgage. So, within a couple of weeks of closing, they sold it to TMS, The Money Source. Then within a week or so after I got that, they told me that they were changing service providers to Mr. Cooper.

In the meantime, I got this letter from TMS saying that I needed to pay them. I got a letter about a week or so later from FHA saying that they had bought it. They had indicated that there was a different servicer than Mr. Cooper. I got the letter after I paid TMS for September. My September payment was coming up and I didn't want it to be late. Then I get a letter from Mr. Cooper saying I owe for September. I paid TMS so I did talk to them yesterday and I told them, “I'm not even sure I'm supposed to pay you guys.” Fannie Mae told me that they had bought the loan, and they gave me the name of another company that wasn't Mr. Cooper, and then Mr. Cooper said that they go by different name. So, I'm just sitting here going, “Okay, by October 1, I've got to pay somebody because I don't want my mortgage to be late.”

I have emailed Better a couple of different times saying, “I'm not sure what's going on. I’ve never heard of somebody named Mr. Cooper. Is this legit or what? I'm not sure.” That's been the most confusing thing for me and not hearing from Better Mortgage, except for you calling today. That's been the most frustrating thing.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for leaving us an honest review. We are sending your feedback to our team to help us improve.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

I like the ease of the whole process with Better Mortgage. Giving you the options upfront and not having to go back and forth with your loan officer are game changers. The overall experience was amazing. There's no competition out there which gives you so much flexibility. Everything was closed out in two weeks. I knew exactly what I wanted. All the options were presented to me, and I just picked one. It was a very seamless process including the documentation process and electronic signatures. Other services also do electronic signatures nowadays, but then you have to do a lot of back and forth with your loan officer. With Better Mortgage, everything was very systematic. You know what tasks are pending on your end, where you can track everything and where you are in the loan process. The visibility of the entire loan processes is so much better.

Better Mortgage response

Thanks for the review, Kumar! Let us know if there's anything we can do to help in the future.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

I looked on NerdWallet for the lowest possible rate and found that Better Mortgage's was the lowest rate available. Also, I'm used to doing things online. I found that Better was suited for my needs. Everything is online. Quick and easy. It seemed like Better is in Illinois. So, there are some Illinois-specific things that they were doing differently. But the title company figured that out. Everything else was good. Nayquan and David both did a great job. And everything went smoothly on both ends. David mostly focuses on getting the information for closing, and Nayquan does the actual closing funding. But both of them were there to answer any questions I had and were very quick to respond. Go with Better Mortgage.

Thank you for the review!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

I work for a mortgage lender so I have seen a couple of loan estimates from other customers from Better Mortgage. When I was ready to refinance my own home, I did some shopping, and Better Mortgage was by far the most competitive. It's amazing, but it's not for everyone. For somebody who does not have much experience with mortgage loans, it could be a bit challenging being that there's really not much handholding. There are no phone conversations or personal emails. Everything is done digitally. Very user-friendly if you have some technology experience. When I requested a call back, the rep was very prompt. The whole process was great. I loved it.

Thank you for the review!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

Better Mortgage was great and very easy to work with. Go for it.

Better Mortgage response

Thanks for the review Kristina!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

The whole process was done in 37 days. It went fairly fast. The reps stayed with it until they got it done, so that was good. They just need to get the information I need the first time around. I just felt like too many people were asking me too many things, but it was fine.

Better Mortgage response

Hey Lawrance, thanks for the honest feedback - sending this to our team to help us improve in the future.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

Poor communication via phone. Process repeats questions that are clearly answered. Mortgage consultant does not reply. Don't use this company. Horrible customer service. Loan processor does not provide any feedback on information provided.

Better Mortgage response

Hey Alan, I'm so sorry to hear this but thank you for letting us know. Please reach out to us at support@better.com if you'd like to discuss further.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

Better Mortgage was offering the lowest rates at the time I refinanced the house. I'm not very computer-literate but I found the process easy. All the support staff and the folks that I worked with were helpful and very patient. Rick and Philip were the two I worked with the most. They taught me through the process. They reassured me that things were going good. They reached out to me when I was falling behind on some of the tasks. After I gave them the explanation of why, they were still good. Rick and Philip made the experience easy for me.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for the review Darrin!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

The online process was much easier and straightforward. I was happy about having sufficient information. Everything was very informative.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for leaving us a review Rafael!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

Better Mortgage had the lowest rate and the process was very efficient. I liked how the process was organized. There was a lot of communication between me and Better Mortgage and I liked the open communication. Whenever I called or emailed, they always got back to me quickly. I've only had good experiences so far and I’d tell others they're not probably gonna find a better rate anywhere else.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for leaving us a review, Christian!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

Better Mortgage was very responsive and quick. The rep sent a bunch of emails explaining what was going to happen before it happened, with links directly to their platform. I was able to get to the platform without the links and find the exact same information. They made me comfortable with it. We achieved what we were trying to achieve with Better Mortgage.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for the review, Jason!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

Their online application process was smooth and easy. We closed within 30 days. The rate was perfect too. For the most part, I felt comfortable working with them.

Thank you, Justin!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2021

I initially was concerned with Better Mortgage being an online-based company that their rates would be elevated but we did some rate shopping and we could not find a better rate anywhere else. We did a quick estimate online and then, we scheduled a phone call for initial application. They did everything remotely then they sent someone to my house for closing. The online application was very simple and the directions for all the documents they needed were all available. The only issue that I had with the entire process was that they would request from the insurance company and also request it from me, so I would request it from the insurance company. The insurance company was getting frustrated because we were both asking for the same things. But I've already given them that feedback.

My preferred form of communication was primarily via email if I had concerns but I could either schedule phone calls or I could walk in and talk to a representative. The downside to the call center is that it's not the agent that's working on your case. It's someone available to answer questions. So, the benefit of communicating via email and scheduling calls was that you could talk to the person that was familiar with the specifics of your case.

Better Mortgage response

Thanks for the review, Eric!

Original review: July 31, 2021

Better Mortgage's online application process was super easy to do. The gal there was super awesome to work with and she said she would call me back the next day and walk me through the next step. I was able to do the process all the same day. Every time I asked the gal a question, she was on it. I was able to call her and I prefer that. She responded easily via email too. I appreciate the immediate response time. Better Mortgage's system makes it so easy and her knowing her job and what needed to be done made things really smooth.

Better Mortgage was really helpful in trying to figure out what was best for me and the rates were reasonable too. They were very comparable with everything else I looked at. The closing costs seemed a little high compared to a couple of other places that I looked at but it was the better option. I had a good price overall. The process was handled extremely efficiently. The application and underwriting process took a month and a half at the most. I really appreciate how smooth and easy everything was.

Doing something like that, especially for a single person, can be so stressful. I was a little nervous going through the whole approval process and that went perfectly. Every time they needed more information, it was communicated efficiently and I was able to provide the information right away. It was easy to go in online and track where the progress was at. I liked that too. There was a week where I hadn't had any communication and I logged in. I could see that things were still being processed and everything was on track. My one concern is the friend who had referred me said, “I had to go look for how to make my first payment.” But I figured Better Mortgage would let me know.

Thank you for the review!

Original review: July 30, 2021

The process with Better Mortgage was very easy and intuitive. I entered all the information online and they were very responsive. I did a conventional loan and the rate I got was the best one I've ever seen and anybody I've talked to has ever seen. The application was quick but the rest of the process took a while because of other reasons, which is not Better Mortgage's fault.

I was very comfortable working with Better Mortgage. They were very responsive, kind, and easy to get ahold of. My rep was great, except she went out sick so I got another person. Better Mortgage credited us back the money. They were really apologetic and it all worked out. But that was unnecessary for us. Another thing was they requested some documents because we were selling our house and they did not let me know that they needed them by a certain time, even when I called about that. It turned out there was a deadline and we missed it so we had to push back our closing by a day. Overall, my experience wasn't perfect but I would still recommend Better Mortgage to friends.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for the honest review, Angela. We are sending this to our team to help us improve.

Original review: July 29, 2021

I had a bad experience with another company and Better Mortgage was my second choice. I did my research and gathered information about them. I refinanced with them and their website was very helpful. I was satisfied by the products that they offered and how a person went about getting information about them. The way that they presented the products was very open, truthful, and transparent. The communication from their whole team was also broken down very well.

Lucius was the person who helped me and he was amazing. He was very informative and he even called me when he was on vacation to clarify something that I had a question about. Their people are all in different offices and it was really amazing how they were all able to communicate and everyone knew. It was almost military how they had everything lined up, so I was impressed. Overall, my experience with Better Mortgage was better than the other company and I really enjoyed it.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for the review, Cody!

Original review: July 28, 2021

Better Mortgage was able to offer the product that I wanted, which was the cash-out refinance for an investment property. At this point, almost nobody else was offering that. I was very pleased with the online application process. It was very user-friendly. At first, I was a little concerned about how I would contact people for questions and stuff but I had people I could have called. And when I used the chat function, somebody responded usually within a couple of hours. I don't think I ever went more than 24 hours without a response.

The only thing that I might have wished is that all the steps were made available at the beginning. But I understand that there are certain steps that can't be revealed until other things are done. Also, I was very surprised by the rate and terms. I was anticipating making the first payment to Better Mortgage but it looks like it was already transferred to Wells Fargo, which is really nice.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for your review!

Better Mortgage Company Information